Merle Berger

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

Strengths: unintimidating, kind, very knowledgeable, able to explain things to a non-medical person in easy terms. Didn’t feel rushed during my appointments, and it is clear that he valued his staff and seemed to have a mutual appreciation and respect for each other. Weaknesses: could be a bit warmer. ... Dr. Alper was warm and remembered details about me. He likely reviewed them right before I entered the room, but I consider that fair. While it is a big operation, it felt no less impersonal than any other doctors I have seen.
It [Boston IVF] is very large and runs like a well oiled machine. To some this could feel impersonal, but I appreciated that everything was so well organized and everything ran on time. It made me feel confident in the clinic. ... Bonnie is Dr. Alper’s Nurse. She is very responsive and friendly. ... He [Dr. Alper] recommended I transfer only one, especially as I had chosen to do PGS. I was fully on board with this strategy
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Take notes or ask him to write down notes for you as you discuss. He made me some great notes and diagrams that helped me to remember everything later
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie)
Bonnie is Dr. Alper’s Nurse. She is very responsive and friendly.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It is very large and runs like a well oiled machine. To some this could feel impersonal, but I appreciated that everything was so well organized and everything ran on time. It made me feel confident in the clinic.
Describe Michael Alper's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
He recommended I transfer only one, especially as I had chosen to do PGS. I was fully on board with this strategy
Michael Alper
Waltham

[Nurses at Boston IVF were] Amazing! Super organized and excellent communication and got my prescriptions ordered and things scheduled very efficiently and without mistakes. When I had bleeding she was reassuring. She was genuinely excited for our success...A large operation but very professional and organized...He [Dr. Penzias] didn’t rely exclusively on statistics and he never focused on my age. He believed that we could be successful...He helped us make challenging decisions about which and how many embryos to transfer, whether to freeze or do PGS; He was very thorough and was willing to collaborate with Dr. Braverman (where other REs were not)...It’s worth driving to see him- we drove over an hour and a half to see him and it was completely worth it.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He didn’t rely exclusively on statistics and he never focused on my age. He believed that we could be successful.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Routine protocol for lead in with a estrogen patches.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
A large operation but very professional and organized but 8 can only speak to this doctor and nurse. I saw another doctor at their satellite office near me who I had a negative experience with. I would only recommend this doctor (as opposed to the entire clinic).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
Thankfully all covered by insurance except for the last transfer-$4K
Waltham

Dr. Ryley made personal connections with both myself and my husband. He remembered non-medical aspects of our lives and we genuinely enjoyed every visit we had with him. He also called to check in personally after big news (good or bad). He once went above and beyond to squeeze me in for a surgery the day he’d be in the OR so I wouldn’t need to wait 4+ weeks until our next cycle. We loved him!
Most monitoring and surgeries were at the Boston IVF clinic in Waltham. No complaints - it is a quiet, clean facility and I always found the staff very nice and helpful. The Boston office (more for consults) is beautiful. Parking downtown can be pricey but worth every penny for the care you receive.... Jess was WONDERFUL! She answered countless calls with patience, compassion, and a genuinely positive attitude.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley was warm, compassionate, and understanding. He took the failures and setbacks as hard as we did. He provided both statistics as well as his own experience so we knew the range of things to expect with each step. We always felt like he was on our team, rooting for our success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
You are your own best advocate, but you will feel like you have another fighter on your team with Dr. Ryley.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jess)

2018 - 2019, Consult
Dr. Berger is a very genuine and compassionate doctor who loves what he does. He explains all your options and what plan best fits your needs. He makes himself available and answers all of your questions. He does not make you feel like a number. In a world that can feel so alone he was able to finally give me some hope...He is worth the wait for an appointment...Due to the high demand of the clinic and Dr Berger it can be some time before you can get an appointment
[The nurses at Boston IVF are] Very compassionate and thorough. They called to follow up on me after my visit to see if I had anymore questions...Due to the high demand of the clinic and Dr Berger it can be some time before you can get an appointment. The clinic staff is all so kind and not dismissive as some places I have been. Everything is always your choice and if you are not comfortable with anything you are never rushed...
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He is worth the wait for an appointment
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Adequate time was spent with me and our time did not end until all of Our questions were answered. Our questions by phone were also answered in the same day even after his office hours ended. He was genuinely sorry for the losses and emotional roller coaster we have been through over the last 2 years.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
These are still being discussed
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Initial visit was $395 and cost for 5 rounds with the use of my insurance is $12,500 out of pocket
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Not yet discussed
South Shore
First cycle [with Dr. Nina Resetkova] I was on 300 Gonal and 150 menopure. Second cycle we added in estradiol and for better results...She called me personally at 7:30 on a Friday night to resolve an issue...She was good, gave all the risks and options. When she called with test results she gave the next step. She personally called me...Only con would be she didn’t mention she was going on maternity leave or who was covering for her.
Insurance covered most of it and the financial coordinator [at Boston IVF- South Shore] was on top of it...Large clinic with several locations. They offer aggressive treatment plans. Nursing is triage if you call the main line and things slip through the cracks, ie. they forgot to order my meds because I called on a weekend. Poor communication within departments. It’s a business, the run as such... [Nurses had] Zero compassion...Organized and good follow up
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
She was good, gave all the risks and options. When she called with test results she gave the next step. She personally called me to resolve an issue. Only con would be she didn’t mention she was going on maternity leave or who was covering for her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Be your own advocate
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
She called me personally at 7:30 on a Friday night to resolve an issue.
Describe the protocols Nina Resetkova used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
First cycle I was on 300 Gonal and 150 menopure. Second cycle we added in estradiol and for better results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Organized and good follow up. Zero compassion.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Ultrasound technicians and blood technicians were always awesome.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF.
Insurance covered most of it and the financial coordinator was on top of it.
Describe Nina Resetkova's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The nursing line is a triage and things can slip through the cracks. They forgot to order my medication and I had to wait a month to start a cycle.
South Shore

Dr Penzias is very straight forward. He takes the time to thoroughly explain the process and the steps that will be taken. He is very even tempered, but also compassionate. He did not perform any of my actual procedures or transfers, but that wasn't a problem for me...Make sure to schedule your follow-up appointment with him early because his calendar fills up quickly....
It is a large clinic [Boston IVF], so your procedures will likely not be performed by your doctor. This wasn't an important factor for me, but it may be for others. A benefit to being a large clinic, is that there are many locations for monitoring appointments, which was convenient. They are also open 365 days, so they do not shut down for holidays....
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It is a large clinic, so your procedures will likely not be performed by your doctor. This wasn't an important factor for me, but it may be for others. A benefit to being a large clinic, is that there are many locations for monitoring appointments, which was convenient. They are also open 365 days, so they do not shut down for holidays.
I had insurance coverage, so costs were only visit co-pays and co-pays on medications. Less than $1,000.
Boston
She [Dr. Luzzo] explained everything in great detail. She clearly knows her stuff. The amount of information delivered is however overwhelming, making it hard to retain. I also did not feel seen as a person as she seemed emotion-less, which probably had nothing to do with me but has made appointments a bit uncomfortable....She feels quite distant and lethargic. Little warmth. No apparent enthusiasm
Great location [Boston IVF - Providence]. Pleasant set-up. Very friendly front desk staff. Downside: Weekend coverage as well as sperm storage is at a different clinic or in Waltham, MA. Certain procedures are only in Waltham.... Wendy [nurse] seems to know a lot about infertility, IUIs and IVF procedures. She has also felt rather distant and unmotivated.... Regular IUI $450. Monitored IUI: $1050. unsure otherwise
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She explained everything in great detail. She clearly knows her stuff. The amount of information delivered is however overwhelming, making it hard to retain. I also did not feel seen as a person as she seemed emotion-less, which probably had nothing to do with me but has made appointments a bit uncomfortable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Do not expect warmth
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She feels quite distant and lethargic. Little warmth. No apparent enthusiasm
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Until now monitored IUI was recommended. Moving forward IVF is recommended due to unexplained infertility
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy seems to know a lot about infertility, IUIs and IVF procedures. She has also felt rather distant and unmotivated.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Great location. Pleasant set-up. Very friendly front desk staff. Downside: Weekend coverage as well as sperm storage is at a different clinic or in Waltham, MA. Certain procedures are only in Waltham.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Regular IUI $450. Monitored IUI: $1050. unsure otherwise
Kerri Luzzo
Providence

Be aware that he [Dr. Samuel Pang] has many patients. Always double check the dosage of medications that you should be taking- especially if it is a medication that could impact the success of implantation...is intelligent, but has far too many patients and cannot spend the time necessary to focus on each patient. I constantly felt like I was a number and did not feel like I got personal care for my case...I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication.
On more than one occasion [nurse at Boston IVF] was accusatory of me. The first time she said I didn't inform her or Dr. Pang about work travel- which I had with both of them. In the next instance she accused me of not taking my medications correctly- which I was; but the medical team never communicated to me that I should have changed my dosage....I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication... is run like a large corporation. They seem to care more about the number of patients than they do about how the patients are treated. I could not help but to feel they wanted to get the most cycles out of me as possible instead of having success early on.
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pang is intelligent, but has far too many patients and cannot spend the time necessary to focus on each patient. I constantly felt like I was a number and did not feel like I got personal care for my case.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Be aware that he has many patients. Always double check the dosage of medications that you should be taking- especially if it is a medication that could impact the success of implantation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
After my last failed cycle Dr. Pang's nurse questioned if I was taking the correct dose of Levothyroxin. She told me I was taking the wrong dose; however, upon further inspection she confirmed nobody had told me to change my dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Butters)
On more than one occasion Lisa was accusatory of me. The first time she said I didn't inform her or Dr. Pang about work travel- which I had with both of them. In the next instance she accused me of not taking my medications correctly- which I was; but the medical team never communicated to me that I should have changed my dosage.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
BostonIVF is run like a large corporation. They seem to care more about the number of patients than they do about how the patients are treated. I could not help but to feel they wanted to get the most cycles out of me as possible instead of having success early on.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I was not informed about a change in my thyroid medication. The nurse then accused me of either taking the medication incorrectly or not at the correct dosage. Neither of which was true- I was just never informed about the change in dosage- which the nurse later agreed with me on.
Samuel Pang
2014 - 2019, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Steven Bayer is] down to earth and feels for the heart break his patients go through...explains in detail what he knew to be our issue with our 2 known miscarriages. He took the time to explain...He was very understanding how we felt and truly wanted to be parents... He went into detail as options available and told us honestly he felt the best option would be embryo adoption given we had started an adoption process just last year. Dr Bayer leads with his heart, and truly feels what his patients are experiencing.
I’ve had little contact with my nurse [at Boston IVF], but each time I do, she checks with Dr Bayer so there is no miscommunication. She through when we do discuss lab results or next steps to ensure I understand how it all works...His consult was $350 and the cost for the day of my embryo transfer is $4400 that includes 1 yr of storage fees at their facility...As a new patient I felt comfortable and knew everyone I had contact with was very helpful and kind. They treat you like a human and not a number or someone that doesn’t fit a mold that some offices feel you should. They are very empathic to your heartbreak. I’m still trying to find a weakness,although I’m sure they have them, my experience has been seamless thus far.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Dr Bayer explains in detail what he knew to be our issue with our 2 known miscarriages. He took the time to explain we could try cloned and gave us the odds of it working. He was very understanding how we felt and truly wanted to be parents. When cloned didn’t work, my husband and I chose to keep trying naturally. Over the last 4 years we’ve endure the adoption option which ended in a disaster with information we were told but didn’t happen. We pulled out of the adoption last year. We then saw another fertility specialist closer to home, he didn’t care as to why we were there, he told me to lose 50lbs and call him once I did. He went as far to say, he’s seen shorter and wider do it do I can if I put my mind too it. I lost 23lbs hurt my back in the meantime and was killing myself to lose. Then decided to go back to see Dr Bayer this year. Upon entering his office we had the typical how are you doings, then lead to say it’s been a very long 4+ year journey for you. How have you been doing with this? He went into detail as options available and told us honestly he felt the best option would be embryo adoption given we had started an adoption process just last year. Dr Bayer leads with his heart, and truly feels what his patients are experiencing. Not once but twice he told us he can help us become parents, our life long dream. I left there with tears of joy and a heart that was full of happiness finally. We started the process in February, found embryos in August and are in the process of waiting for cycles to do the transfer. I can’t thank Dr Bayer and his team enough for all they have done. Dr Bayer has reassured me on more than one occasion, helping couples become parents is “what his team and Garrison” does!! He’s excited for us
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Any and all questions you ask, he will answer truthfully and honestly. He’s in this profession because he truly cares for his patients. Highly recommend him
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
He’s do down to earth and feels for the heart break his patients go through
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We tried 3 cycles clomid due to being younger and having regular periods at that time. At this time in order to begin the process for my frozen embryo transfer, we have started and finished medications to induce a period. Once that happens I’ll take 2 and 1/2 weeks of estrogen, have an ultrasound and if the uterine lining isn’t thick enough, we’ll increase estrogen and have another ultrasound. If uterine lining is thick enough, I’ll have the transfer scheduled then begin progesterone for 10 weeks there after. Everything needs to be perfect in order for my embryo to attach. There is still a chance of miscarriage
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda D)
I’ve had little contact with my nurse, but each time I do, she checks with Dr Bayer so there is no miscommunication. She through when we do discuss lab results or next steps to ensure I understand how it all works.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
Dr Bayer is part of my out of nextwork coverage so all bills are paid by me until I reach my deductible. That deductible is very high, so that will not happen. His consult was $350 and the cost for the day of my embryo transfer is $4400 that includes 1 yr of storage fees at their facility.
Describe Steven Bayer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We will do a single embryo transfer as soon as my cycle begins with a followed ultrasound. One embryo transfer is best for me and my baby at this time to ensure a happy healthy pregnancy.
Brookline

Doctor Berger had NO preference [with Eset]. Said the chances the embryos sticking are the same if we transfer one or two...The first time I met Dr Berger he sat and spoke with me for TWO and a HALF HOURS! Answered all my questions, went through all of my paperwork chart by chart, talked about game plan, put my mind at ease and let me know ALL possible options!... He went through each medication and let me know what exactly each would be used for and how it will help.
[Boston IVF] Work WITH my cycle and even did an egg retrieval on a Sunday morning when my body was ready...PGS testing not covered so had to pay $3,700 out of pocket but it is WELL worth it. Also another $500 for meds not covered...The first time I met Dr Berger he sat and spoke with me for TWO and a HALF HOURS! Answered all my questions, went through all of my paperwork chart by chart, talked about game plan, put my mind at ease and let me know ALL possible options!
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr Berger was able to explain how this cycle would be different from my treatment at FCNE and why I am considered a special case. He went through each medication and let me know what exactly each would be used for and how it will help.
Expect a miracle!
No shots. No birth control. Letrozole, low dose hcg, leuprolide, cetrotide, gonal F, ovidrel (trigger shot), doxyclycline, medrol and crinone inserts
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Would call me and tell me they are missing paperwork when they actually had it in their possession. Failed to order meds.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Cleaner, nice facilities than FCNE. Better locations. Work WITH my cycle and even did an egg retrieval on a Sunday morning when my body was ready. FCNE only does procedures on Tuesdays so if my body wasn't ready I would be overmedicated.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Doctor Berger had NO preference. Said the chances the embryos sticking are the same if we transfer one or two.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I would just ask that the nurses LOOK in their files before accusing me of not sending the right paperwork
Boston
[The nurses at Boston IVF are] Very helpful and answered any questions I have whenever I needed things to be either talked out or answered....We never went to the next step too fast and everything was within in time and how comfortable we as a couple are...Very welcoming, great environment in both clinics I’ve been to. Made some great clinic relationships with some staff as I was going in several times a week. I would like the ability to speak with someone right away more often but other than that both offices are great...She [Dr. Nina Resetkova] was very warm, very knowledgeable. Any question I asked she would take the time to explain without making me feel like I was asking too much...Every step has been planned out and everyone is friendly and available when I need someone... We never went to the next step too fast and everything was within in time and how comfortable we as a couple are...
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Boston IVF as a whole has been great. I’ve gone to several locations to have different things done. From the nurses, to to MAs to the financial team. Every step has been planned out and everyone is friendly and available when I need someone
Be prepared, ask lots of questions. And don’t hesitate to take as much time as your need
She was very warm, very knowledgeable. Any question I asked she would take the time to explain without making me feel like I was asking too much
So far, I have been helped buy many resources within Boston IVF. We never went to the next step too fast and everything was within in time and how comfortable we as a couple are.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Stefanie )
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Unsure as I’m still in the process
Quincy
They [nurses at Boston IVF] are very nice and easy to get a hold of when needed...Location and hours are a big strength...the nurse are always very nice and they tend to recognize you so that feels confronting. sometimes there is a lack of communication so you have to be on top of your own care...He [Dr. Samuel Pauli] actually called me to check in and review results after I met with an np that same day!...He came recommend to me by a friend who was successful with ivf. He was very thoughtful and consider what are concerns are. He came up with a new protocol from what our old doctor was doing. The most shocking thing was he called me to review results with me. This should not be shocking but I was with my other doctor for 3 years she never called me.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
If you are new to ivf - this takes time lots of time but hopefully will be worth it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He actually called me to check in and review results after I met with an np that same day!
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
He was the first to suggest use of embryo glue it was a $500out of pocket charge and may or may not help but it was worth the risk to us. We want to try anything there is out there to try. We got a positive test and are awaiting an ultrasound
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They are very nice and easy to get a hold of when needed
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Location and hours are a big strength the nurse are always very nice and they tend to recognize you so that feels confronting. sometimes there is a lack of communication so you have to be on top of your own care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
For this year to date 3 thousand ish but I’ve been doing this for over 3 years and have spent over 30 thousand
Samuel Pauli
2019, Consult
[Dr. Dan Griffin] explained that after all the testing we have completed there is no clear reason for our infertility. He was very sympathetic with our struggle and was understanding...explained what our steps would be and our chances with certain steps...wanted to try another cycle of IUI but felt more confident with going straight to IVF... I know some women feel more comfortable with a female dr in regards to fertility issues but Dr Griffin was very down to earth and compassionate.
The clinic [Boston IVF] was thorough and very discreet. They staff was polite and very welcoming...knowledgeable on fertility issues and eager to answer any questions...The cost for a consult was around $130.00...Any new patient should feel confident going there for care...[Dr. Dan Griffin] was very thorough...explained what our steps would be and our chances with certain steps.
How was your experience with Dan Griffin at Boston IVF?
Our Dr was very thorough. He explained what our steps would be and our chances with certain steps. He explained that all of our testing came back within normal ranges. He was very compassionate and understanding. He was in depth in regards to both mine and my husbands test and our chances of conceiving.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dan Griffin at Boston IVF?
Do not be nervous. I know some women feel more comfortable with a female dr in regards to fertility issues but Dr Griffin was very down to earth and compassionate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dan Griffin at Boston IVF?
The Dr explained everything very clear. He also explained that after all the testing we have completed there is no clear reason for our infertility. He was very sympathetic with our struggle and was understanding.
Describe the protocols Dan Griffin used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Dr Griffin wanted to try another cycle of IUI but felt more confident with going straight to IVF.
Very polite and thorough
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic was thorough and very discreet. They staff was polite and very welcoming. The staff was very knowledgeable on fertility issues and eager to answer any questions. I did not notice any weaknesses for the clinic or staff. Any new patient should feel confident going there for care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dan Griffin at Boston IVF.
The cost for a consult was around $130.00
Dan Griffin
Boston

He [Dr. Brian Berger] listened to my concerns and was very helpful with answers...was so friendly and made me feel so comfortable. He was timely in responding to me. He also gave me realistic expectations. He made the process as painless and not frustrating as he could...I have poor egg quality. We did two egg retrieval’s and PGS tasting to get the best quality egg for transfer...You have to be proactive and follow up...
A weakness [at Boston IVF] would be calling patients back. I realize it’s busy but maybe an email option would be easier for easy questions. You have to be proactive and call for results sometimes. The insurance price takes a long time for results. I found that frustrating...The nursing staff was supportive and helpful...It was difficult to get to the lab sometimes on work days. I wish there was an option for afternoon blood draws...Pgs twice coating over $7,000 Meds $1500 All other cost $10,000
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger was so friendly and made me feel so comfortable. He was timely in responding to me. He also gave me realistic expectations. He made the process as painless and not frustrating as he could.
You have to be proactive and follow up.
He listened to my concerns and was very helpful with answers.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was supportive and helpful
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
A weakness would be calling patients back. I realize it’s busy but maybe an email option would be easier for easy questions. You have to be proactive and call for results sometimes. The insurance price takes a long time for results. I found that frustrating.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Pgs twice coating over $7,000 Meds $1500 All other cost $10,000
I don’t have a comment for this
Boston

[Dr. Rita Sneeringer] was very personable, patient and sympathetic towards our situation. She was extremely knowledgeable and approached each meeting with customized recommendations based on our preferences, and how my body was responding to treatment...We felt completely comfortable and confident in her plan of action. We had A LOT of questions and she was extremely patient. We can’t say enough great things about her. I’ve already recommended her to several friends and coworkers.
We did a freeze all egg retrieval, phs testing and fet [at Boston IVF]...Clinic strengths: organized, atmosphere is nice, clean, staff is friendly Clinic weaknesses: typically a little slow, road clinic is on has major pot holes- more of just a general commuting annoyance...Schedule your initial appointment sooner rather than later...books up quickly...Dr Sneeringer was very personable, patient and sympathetic towards our situation. She was extremely knowledgeable and approached each meeting with customized recommendations based on our preferences, and how my body was responding to treatment.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Schedule your initial appointment sooner rather than later. She books up quickly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did a freeze all egg retrieval, phs testing and fet
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clinic strengths: organized, atmosphere is nice, clean, staff is friendly Clinic weaknesses: typically a little slow, road clinic is on has major pot holes- more of just a general commuting annoyance Nothing else to share here
Rita Sneeringer
Waltham

[Dr. Steven Bayer] was compassionate and thoughtful. However, he works at a high cost clinic - we felt like we were constantly repeating the same protocol with no changes. And we couldn't afford to continue to go there...He is great - just wish he worked at a more affordable clinic...He spoke to us like he cared and tried to help us with financial decisions...[Protocols included] Letrozole...
Strengths [at Boston IVF]: Convenience - many locations - easy to get an appointment - someone picks up the phone right away and nurses get back to you within a couple of hours. Weaknesses: Cost - just cannot afford to keep going here. The cost of the IVF egg retrieval procedure is 10k and each ultra sound / bloodwork which occurs every couple of days is also thousands of dollars. I know it doesn't cost that much to administer a 2 minute ultrasound.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Doctor Bayer was compassionate and thoughtful. However, he works at a high cost clinic - we felt like we were constantly repeating the same protocol with no changes. And we couldn't afford to continue to go there.
He is great - just wish he worked at a more affordable clinic.
He spoke to us like he cared and tried to help us with financial decisions.
Letrozole
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: Convenience - many locations - easy to get an appointment - someone picks up the phone right away and nurses get back to you within a couple of hours. Weaknesses: Cost - just cannot afford to keep going here. The cost of the IVF egg retrieval procedure is 10k and each ultra sound / bloodwork which occurs every couple of days is also thousands of dollars. I know it doesn't cost that much to administer a 2 minute ultrasound.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
Approximately $3000
Boston

Dr. Riley knows his stuff, and also knows I am a scientist who understands the background research and statistics. It took us a couple of tries to fully understand one another's styles but once we did we had a great report and he is always well-prepared having reviewed my particular history and needs, and willing to listen carefully to any of my questions. We joke around and I now never leave without feeling like we have fully discussed everything I had hoped to and that he has tailored his answers and advice to my situation.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Try to self-reflect ahead of time on your needs and what you are hoping to get out of any particular appointment, and make sure you can clearly express those. He seems very willing to adapt his general style to fit those so you can have the best, most informed experience possible.
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Dr. Riley is an award-winning Medical Professor with Harvard Medical School, and up to date on all relevant research. He explains the stats and rationalization for each protocol and step suggested, but I never feel like he wouldn't consider other options if I requested them and they were within the range of approaches he feels are medically appropriate. GIven my age (41 when I started IVF) and not great numbers, we started with an aggressive cycle of estrogen priming, Gonal-F, Medipur, and Cetrotide, along with Ovidril to trigger. The first cycle could have been worse but we decided to change things by trying low dose HcG in place of the medipur. This cycle worked better. For the third we decided why mess with what had worked about as well as we could have expected so we kept it the same, but it went very poorly. Given my age it seems this is not uncommon. If I do another cycle we will try a Lupron Flare protocol, which he figured has about a 50/50 chance of working better but we can't know until we try. I had the option of sticking to the prior plan if I wanted to. We also always have a plan in place for how many embryos to transfer and on which day (as I'm doing fresh cycles) ahead of time. For example, if I have less than four embryos on Day 1 the plan would be to transfer two-three on Day 3. If I have four or more we go to day 5 and transfer 2, and freeze the others if I get more (so far I haven't). If I have extras I have elected to do PGS testing, but I can change my mind at any point if I choose not to. (Though I have given a deposit.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
My primary nurse (and former primary nurse) have been wonderful in just about every way. Occasionally when someone else has filled in there has been some confusion where they are telling me something different than what I understood from my primary nurse and doctor.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is a large fertility center with several locations, though only one (or a few?) do surgeries. Some folks don't love that it feels like a factory and that it may never be your own doctor doing your retrievals, transfers. etc. Personally I love the clinic and after about a month of understanding their whole system I settled into a good routine with them and knew who to call when for what. One benefit of using such a large IVF-only clinic is that they are open 7 days a week no matter what. You can schedule your labs and ultrasounds before work. Your results are posted on the patient portal within a few hours and your main nurse (or very occasionally doctor if it's bigger news that might involve a decision) calls you. I am in and out of appointments in minutes and the majority of the staff including phlebotomists are wonderful and get to know you once you've become a frequent flyer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Massachusetts is extremely lucky to require some infertility coverage through insurance, though policies can vary. To date then, there have been relatively few costs (PGS testing deposit was the main one) but as I may be aging out of my current insurance, I assume the numbers will be similar to those at other big clinics around the country. I have not yet done all the pricing but I am sure it is available.
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
He bases his suggestions on the statistics available for patient's ages and numbers. So for someone like me over 41 with not great hormone levels, an SET is not recommended. The stats of having multiples with multiple untested embryos are so small, and the risk of trying to freeze, test, and thaw the only extra one or two embryos doesn't seem worth it. That said, and I have asked, if I preferred to only do an SET he would.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Just the very occasional hearing from a nurse filling in for my main nurse giving slightly different information that it sounds like are more in line with their usual doctor's orders than mine. I have followed up with my own nurse and doctor to clarify.
Boston

[Dr. Wright] clearly had years of experience behind her, which was helpful and reassuring. And she was not condescending in our discussions...The down side to the experience with Wright is that at a few points, I decided that the recommended approach would not be enough.This example occurred when, after 2 failed IUI cycles, she recommended a third and I just didn't see how the third would yield any different result.
The clinic [IVF New England] in Waltham is accessible, clean, safe and secure. I felt the doctors and nurses were attentive and personal, and made every attempt to make me comfortable. I had several tests performed here (HSG, sonohysterogram, and IVF extraction), and they were done smoothly and quickly...I often got a call in the afternoon after lab results were available. The nurses were direct but compassionate, especially Nicki. There were a few times where either the nurses or the pharmacies would get the medication quantities wrong, and that led to out of pocket expenses which were infuriating. For the most part though, I was happy with the nursing team response.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Kristen Wright was more relatable than other doctors in New England IVF, but she spoke matter-of-factly and took the factors of my fertility challenges into account. Wright clearly had years of experience behind her, which was helpful and reassuring. And she was not condescending in our discussions, as some other doctors have been in the past. The down side to the experience with Wright is that at a few points, I decided that the recommended approach would not be enough. This example occurred when, after 2 failed IUI cycles, she recommended a third and I just didn't see how the third would yield any different result. I also often had to follow up our visits with online research to better understand the recommended treatments and the process, as doctors don't often have time to show patients all of the steps in the process. I also didn't always know the timeline for the various treatment approaches. One IUI cycle is straight forward, but the IVF process is more convoluted and often requires many weeks of insurance approvals, so there were frequently longer than expected stretches of time between treatments.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Do your reading offline after consultations and follow up visits, and ensure you are informed on the treatments so there are no surprises. Be direct and get as much information as you can about the timelines for treatment and what is involved in getting insurance approvals.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr. Wright addressed all of my and my husband's questions, but she was perfunctory and with minimal emotion. I felt like her office took our situation as a unique case, rather than as one of many routines, but I did sometimes feel like I had to advocate for myself and my combination of factors in order to get a good recommendation that was not generic.
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
1. Rounds of pre-treatment testing and genetic testing, these were expensive and tough to schedule around my travel, but we completed this in a few months. 2. IUI - I performed two rounds of this treatment, using Letrozol as a trigger around days 14 of my cycle. This required monitoring of my bloodwork and ultrasound results every other day over the course of approximately 2 weeks. This was unsuccessful. 3. Egg retrieval - I used Gonal F, Cetrotide and Lupron as trigger during this time. The egg retrieval yielded 42 eggs, of which 25 fertilized, and ultimately 7 embryos were preserved. I was expecting a transfer but given my response to the retrieval, the decision was made to make this a freezing cycle. I will perform the transfer in a few months.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic in Waltham is accessible, clean, safe and secure. I felt the doctors and nurses were attentive and personal, and made every attempt to make me comfortable. I had several tests performed here (HSG, sonohysterogram, and IVF extraction), and they were done smoothly and quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.
Genetic testing - $400 for husband, $700 for me Each ultrasound appointment was around $400, and ~50% was covered by my insurance. IUI medication - $100 out of pocket IVF process - $7,500 of my lifetime maximum under United Health insurance, and additional $750 out of pocket. For medication, each Gonal F pen was $750 at Village Fertility Pharmacy (and a whopping $1,300 at CVS specialty care), various other medication totaled $2,500 in sum. Embryo Freezing - $1200 for first 3 months, $85 per month following Embryo Transfer - Expected to be around $1,000 per attempt
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I am Type I diabetic and it was not an option for me to receive a multiple embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
For my second IUI cycle, I was to receive a double dose of medication and the clinic failed to call it in to the pharmacy, so I only received half the dosage initially. For my egg retrieval, the communication with the pharmacy was off, and I did not receive any medication the day I was scheduled to start. There were a lot of phone calls trying to rectify the mistake, and I ended up driving to several pharmacies to pick up meds. The saving grace was a nurse named Barbara, who ended up staying late at the clinic in New Hampshire to hold a donated medication pen to give me so that I could start a cycle on time and not need to wait an extra month.
North Chelmsford

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Alan Penzias] was very thorough in looking through an extensive medical record and breaking it down as to where all my information put me, he answered all my questions honestly but with care and hope. He helped me feel better about my situation by being direct and informed about my diagnosis of unexplained infertility and what my specific history meant for this. I had previously been told by doctors that nothing was wrong, that recurrent miscarriage just happens and to keep trying which just seemed so unrealistic and inhuman to say, Dr. Penzias recognized what had been been happening right away as a problem and concern, he found me a solution and provided hope with a very uncertain condition.
They [doctors at Boston IVF] insisted on a single transfer, it's common practice in this clinic and they have high success rates with it. While I would have rather transferred 2 embryos to start, the risks with multiples in pregnancy was enough that I didn't argue it, and we had a successful single transfer...They are an extremely compassionate and educated group of people. They are a timely clinic, I never waited around past my appointment time.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He was very educated and informed, and able to explain things without going over your head when he talks. I personally appreciate somebody who is very honest, so Dr. Penzias was a great doctor for me. He's very straight forward if you ask him a question and confident in his responses, when your dealing with infertility at first you usually come across doctors that don't know much about it, so it was comforting for me to not hear any hesitation when he spoke. By breaking down my personal experiences with my diagnosis of unexplained infertility, he was able to say with confidence that IVF could be a good solution for me and he was correct. I could never thank him enough.
Listen to what he's saying when he discusses your condition with you.
He was very thorough in looking through an extensive medical record and breaking it down as to where all my information put me, he answered all my questions honestly but with care and hope. He helped me feel better about my situation by being direct and informed about my diagnosis of unexplained infertility and what my specific history meant for this. I had previously been told by doctors that nothing was wrong, that recurrent miscarriage just happens and to keep trying which just seemed so unrealistic and inhuman to say, Dr. Penzias recognized what had been been happening right away as a problem and concern, he found me a solution and provided hope with a very uncertain condition.
I've had one IVF cycle, and I am currently 8 months pregnant with my first child. IVF was determined to be the best course of action, I previously had lost 5 pregnancies over 2 years, giving me a diagnosis of recurrent pregnancy loss and unexplained infertility. I had no issues getting pregnant, but could not carry past 6 weeks. I was given progesterone to help maintain the pregnancy until 11 weeks gestation. Ovidrel was the drug used to cause ovulation. Menopur with gonal-f were used during egg stimulation producing 14 eggs in total.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ashley?)
I didn't see a nurse often. I saw more medical assistants and sonographers than anybody during my cycle. They were all great and I never had to wait around, my appointment times were always met or even early if I was there early.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They are an extremely compassionate and educated group of people. They are a timely clinic, I never waited around past my appointment time. With that said, if I was there early they could usually get me in sooner, or the one time I was late they didn't make me reschedule, told me they would see me when I got there and to drive safe, and they did in fact see me within 15 minutes after I showed up late. I just can't say enough good things about this clinic.
My insurance covered the cost of most of it.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
They insisted on a single transfer, it's common practice in this clinic and they have high success rates with it. While I would have rather transferred 2 embryos to start, the risks with multiples in pregnancy was enough that I didn't argue it, and we had a successful single transfer.

1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Ryley is very warm and approachable and really conveys that he cares and "has your back". He has advocated for me with insurance and got me right in for surgery when fibroid was found--and delivered news with compassion.... He is smart and confident but also realistic in setting expectations. I have the feeling that he "has my back" and that he truly cares.
The clinic [Boston IVF] is very large so the positives of this are that there are many resources and options, including many locations and open on weekends. The downside of this is that I feel a bit like cattle in a factory...and your doctor does not perform any of the procedures (unless you luck out and they happen to be on call). Boston IVF and New England IVF also joined and there are differences between their protocols within the same clinic, but that was not made clear to us at the outset (switched between NEIVF to BIVF doctor and a few things slightly changed).
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I said it before--he is very caring and compassionate and explains everything well. He is smart and confident but also realistic in setting expectations. I have the feeling that he "has my back" and that he truly cares.
The clinic is really busy and it is difficult to get appointments in a timely manner. There is also the question of whether you want to deal with feeling like a number at such a big clinic... I think he's worth it but we'll see.
Gonal F, Monopur, Cetrotide, Endometrin
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi and Amanda)
They are very helpful, but you can tell that they are busy. However, when you need to talk to them, they will get back to you soon and explain things clearly.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is very large so the positives of this are that there are many resources and options, including many locations and open on weekends. The downside of this is that I feel a bit like cattle in a factory...and your doctor does not perform any of the procedures (unless you luck out and they happen to be on call). Boston IVF and New England IVF also joined and there are differences between their protocols within the same clinic, but that was not made clear to us at the outset (switched between NEIVF to BIVF doctor and a few things slightly changed).
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
This first cycle is covered under insurance and Dr. Ryley fought insurance for that. Otherwise, it's about $8k-$10k.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Even though I was 40 and had low reserve, was a poor responder he [Dr. Alan Penzias] didn't tell us donor eggs were the only choice. He know how we wanted our own child and he said out what our chances were. He has worked with us to optimize how many eggs we get but my eggs are not fertilizing. He is not encouraging or promoting of alternative therapies or naturopathic treatments to improve quality as he thinks they make minimal impact. But he will approve them and supplaments that I chose to do.
Their [Boston IVF-RSC] strengths are that due to their size you can cycle any time and they do egg retrevial and transfers every day of the year. I also love the Domar Center located at their Waltham location. Acupuncture there is awesome with all practioners and the nutritionist was very helpful too. You do not usually get your doctor for retrevial, but mine came in once special to do just mine or a weekend morning. Billing is frustrating as you never get an actual bill or breakdown, and now we are paying out of pocket so you pay ahead for the whole cycle and get reimbursed if you did not use all of the plan treatments.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr Pandas was very responsive to questions and requests, even while traveling He is accessible thru the nurse or via email. He was also flexible with us as far as having conference calls when we couldnt meet at his office due to schedule conflicts. We found him as he came highly rated to us from a Chief of another department Even though I was 40 and had low reserve, was a poor responder he didn't tell us donor eggs were the only choice. He know how we wanted our own child and he said out what our chances were. He has worked with us to optimize how many eggs we get but my eggs are not fertilizing. He is not encouraging or promoting of alternative therapies or naturopathic treatments to improve quality as he thinks they make minimal impact. But he will approve them and supplaments that I chose to do. I always keep him in the loop with what I am taking. He does like the use of acupuncture for transfer. We are looking to do another cycle or two with him at this point and looking at different treatment options. He has also gone to bat for us more than.once with the insurance company.
He is a down to earth person and a straight communicator that relies on data and proven methods. He is not on the cutting edge but it up to date on everything going on out that and looks to reliable data of success before recommending it to patients. He is very professional. Go in with lots of questions and you will come out with solid options to choose from.
He is very fact based but also very personable. He encourages questions and looking at new treatment plans and will discuss it all in detail and give you approx. Success rates of different options.
For my first cycle we did menopure and gonal f with Cetrotide to suppress, and during the cycle my dosing was upped as I was a poor responder. I ended up ovulating thru the Cetrotide is the cycle was candles. My next 2 cycles (the first I did immediately after the fist cycle as some research indicates that works better for older women) we switched to micro Lupton and stuck with the m &g. The first cycle we got 1 mature egg that did not fertalize naturally. I took a cycle off then the next cycle we used the same protocol and got I believe 3 eggs. They did not fertilize with ICSI, for the ones it could be used on. We switched to mini IVF since I was at max doses for stimulating meds but not getting good responses. Used Clomid with a hcg trigger (same as all the others) and got 6 eggs, 5 mature, none fertalize with ICSI. Took another few cycles off and did another mini IVF where I believe we got 3 or 4 eggs, nothing fertalized again. It has been attributed to my poor egg quality at my age, even though they look good at retrevial. Dr.P told me at my age less than maybe 1 in 12 eggs are chromosomaly normal, so it is a numbers game.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sara Mawn)
Sara is wonderful. Very compassionate and responsive. She was out for a while and we experienced other nursing staff. Most we great! At my first ERA biosposy, I was disappointed in the nursing as the 2 we not very professional, but my second biopsy was the exact opposite. It is a very large clinic so you will have interactions with many staff, but you also have a main point of contact.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Their strengths are that due to their size you can cycle any time and they do egg retrevial and transfers every day of the year. I also love the Domar Center located at their Waltham location. Acupuncture there is awesome with all practioners and the nutritionist was very helpful too. You do not usually get your doctor for retrevial, but mine came in once special to do just mine or a weekend morning. Billing is frustrating as you never get an actual bill or breakdown, and now we are paying out of pocket so you pay ahead for the whole cycle and get reimbursed if you did not use all of the plan treatments. You do need to be on top of things as far as your treatment as there is not someone to walk you through the process once you are on treatment or remind you. Follow up is also on you. But nurse communication is great and so was the coordinator.
Our first 4 cycles were covered by insurance, but the PGS testing was not. He did appeal to insurance and got 2 cycles covered that were initially rejected by insurance. Out of pocket IVF was $7750 for the cycle plus 2500 for icsi and 980 for the embryoscoping (which was at our request). PGS was $3300 For 7 to 8 embryos and went up and down from that number For the mini IVF cycle it is $4950 and that includes ICSI but not PGS testing.
We haven't gotten to that point, but we originally talked about doing only FET transfers of PGS tested embryos and at my age, 1 or 2 at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My first Clomid challenge cycle i was not called with my results, which required a retest on another cycle, which ended up delaying the start of my treatment 3 months.
Waltham

Our biggest concern with dr. Bergers office was that it took so long to make an appointment. At one point in time they had schedule an appointment for us on a day that he was not working, which was frustrating.... I feel that he understands what is going on and closely monitors each patient.... After we had an unsuccessful Embryo transfer due to an inability to pass the catheter, he recommended a hysteroscopy.
I've always felt that everyone was helpful and responsive to phone calls and questions. The staff [Boston IVF -South Shore] for ultrasounds in blood draws was fantastic and conversational when appropriate. The wait was always minimal for any testing and they were able to answer any questions over the phone. Our only problem was being scheduled for an appointment when the doctor wasn't there, and then having to wait to meet with him.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Our biggest concern with dr. Bergers office was that it took so long to make an appointment. At one point in time they had schedule an appointment for us on a day that he was not working, which was frustrating. We were able to reschedule for a couple of weeks later for a phone consult. He recommended something that we had felt we could have taken care of during the wait for the appointment. Ultimately though, it was probably better for my body to have a rest which is what he ended up saying on the phone anyways. I feel that he understands what is going on and closely monitors each patient.
Have patience in the fertility process. We wanted this so bad that it was easy to be frustrated. I definitely feel the doctor Berger is trying to help us get pregnant
Although sometimes it took awhile to get an appointment with him, when he was talking to us he was compassionate and helpful. He also was very positive about our ability to conceive.
We did 3 IUI Cycles with letrozole and then a trigger. For our IVF cycle we did gonal-f, cetrotide and crinone. After we had an unsuccessful Embryo transfer due to an inability to pass the catheter, he recommended a hysteroscopy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
Our care during blood draws and ultrasounds was fantastic
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I've always felt that everyone was helpful and responsive to phone calls and questions. The staff for ultrasounds in blood draws was fantastic and conversational when appropriate. The wait was always minimal for any testing and they were able to answer any questions over the phone. Our only problem was being scheduled for an appointment when the doctor wasn't there, and then having to wait to meet with him.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Almost all of our fertility treatments were covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield. There was some initial cost of approximately $600 and then small co-pays of approximately $50 for medications.
We only plan to transfer one during the first cycle and would increase in subsequent Cycles if necessary. We agreed with this strategy.
South Shore

Dr. Wright prescribed an antagonist cycle with no birth control. This was my fourth IVF cycle, but first with her. Five eggs were retrieved and two embryos were transferred, but resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Due to diminished ovarian reserve and poor egg quality, I am going to undergo an donor egg cycle with Dr. Wright soon.... Dr. Wright never did any of my procedures, which I was disappointed about, but I did feel comfortable with the other doctor's in the practice.
The clinic [IVF NE] has multiple monitoring locations, which is convenient for someone like me who lives close to one location and works close to another. You can go to different sites depending on what works for you. The main procedures are completed at one location. They give you a scheduled time for blood work and ultrasounds, which streamlines the process really well.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr. Wright takes the time to explain every aspect of treatment clearly. I came to her with many questions and she answered all of them fully and honestly. Dr. Wright presented the facts of my case and provided me with options after discussing the benefits and disadvantages of each. She is very knowledgeable and trustworthy.
Attend appointments with a list of questions so that you can maximize your time with the doctor and get all the information you need to proceed with treatment.
I felt like a human under the treatment of Dr. Wright. I felt that she and the nurses were caring and compassionate. However, the clinic is large and at times I felt like a number - not due to the way any staff member treated me, but because I knew there were so many patients under the care of the clinic's doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
My main nurse was clear in her directions and knowledgeable about medications. She called to explain next steps and answered all my questions efficiently.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic has multiple monitoring locations, which is convenient for someone like me who lives close to one location and works close to another. You can go to different sites depending on what works for you. The main procedures are completed at one location. They give you a scheduled time for blood work and ultrasounds, which streamlines the process really well. Dr. Wright never did any of my procedures, which I was disappointed about, but I did feel comfortable with the other doctor's in the practice.
When undergoing an IVF cycle, I had majority of costs covered by insurance. With my upcoming donor egg cycle, I will pay a fee to the clinic, a fee to the outside agency, donor fee, and legal fees.
Lexington

Dr. Wright has treated my husband and myself with compassion, understanding and patience. We experienced a miscarriage prior to working with Dr. Wright and I greatly appreciate her ability and willingness to answer all my questions and concerns that go along with having experienced a prior loss....Dr. Wright has always taken the time to explain each one of our tests to us...Dr. Wright found I had high TSH level and correctly that, as well as a uterine fibroid which will be removed. After the removal we are starting IVF with Dr. Wright.
I can speak with regarding onboarding new patients and pre-IVF testing. The clinic does a great job with explaining the process to new patients and has wide availability to get you into appointments quickly. I did feel the testing process takes a long time...Barbara Soto and the rest of the IVF New England nursing staff in Bedford NH and Waltham offices are absolutely amazing! ..., costs of IVF with ICSI and PGS for one cycle is around $19,000.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr. Wright has treated my husband and myself with compassion, understanding and patience. We experienced a miscarriage prior to working with Dr. Wright and I greatly appreciate her ability and willingness to answer all my questions and concerns that go along with having experienced a prior loss. I feel she truly cares about me and my husband and wants to see us start our family. We have hit a few bumps in the road which has slowed down our IVF start based on various test results, but Dr. Wright has helped me start correct medication and move us along faster then my PCP. I appreciate her quick responses and willing to walk me through each step of the process.
Don't ever feel guilty asking too many questions. There is no such thing. Dr. Wright has been wonderful answering my many questions and it's made a world of difference in going through this process.
Dr. Wright has always taken the time to explain each one of our tests to us. As we are in the beginning stages of IVF, this is all very new and confusing. My husband and I have almost completed all of our pre-IVF tests and hope to start IVF with ICSI next month. Dr. wright has called me to explain my various test results and helped me to get my TSH on track for IVF. I had a miscarriage prior to this process and Dr. Wright and her staff have been so understanding in working with me knowing I already experienced a very difficult loss.
We have not yet begun IVF treatment. We are just about to finish our pre-IVF testing. Dr. Wright found I had high TSH level and correctly that, as well as a uterine fibroid which will be removed. After the removal we are starting IVF with Dr. Wright.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbara Soto)
Barbara Soto and the rest of the IVF New England nursing staff in Bedford NH and Waltham offices are absolutely amazing! Having recently experienced a miscarriage, this has been a very emotional process for me. The nursing staff has been unbelievable considerate while treating me. There were there as my IVF tests were delayed due to waiting for the HCG to leave my system, through many ultrasound and blood work, and through my recent sono hysteroscopy.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
As I have not started the IVF process yet, and only completed all pre-IVF testing I can't speak to the clinic's IVF treatment, but I can speak with regarding onboarding new patients and pre-IVF testing. The clinic does a great job with explaining the process to new patients and has wide availability to get you into appointments quickly. I did feel the testing process takes a long time, and perhaps it could be just my siltation which each test seemed to bring up another issue that needed to be addressed before moving forward. Final treatment plans appoints can book a ways out so in that instance it is difficult to get in sooner, but overall I have liked my experience with the clinic.
As we are just beginning the IVF process, costs of IVF with ICSI and PGS for one cycle is around $19,000. We have spent approximately (with insurance coverage) $1500 in pre-IVF testing so far.
Dr. Wright recommends single embryo transfer.

2014 - 2018, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Kuohung] was candid and professional but she handed off most of her tasks to her nurses. I only saw her to sign consent forms and she only called me to give me results after my cycle failed. However, she was prompt in answering questions over email when I felt that the nurses were not responding to me..The doctor also did not spend time walking me through the protocol. When it failed, she tried to hurry me into starting another cycle. I felt like it was just about generating more sales for them.
Boston IVF looks like it was just starting out. It’s office was under construction when I visited and their nurses were not organized at all. I got mixed answers when I called. I had to call to ask them when I could start because no one had gotten back to me... One nurse told me one thing while another told me different so I had to request that they provide me patient education and a treatment plan. When they had to double my dose, one of the nurses was nice enough to put aside samples for me so that I would have enough medication but I felt like I should never have been put in that situation in the first place. They didnt prompt me ahead of time to know what to expect, I had to ask if I knew.
How was your experience with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Wendy was candid and professional but she handed off most of her tasks to her nurses. I only saw her to sign consent forms and she only called me to give me results after my cycle failed. However, she was prompt in answering questions over email when I felt that the nurses were not responding to me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Ask a lot of questions and talk through the regimen with her as sometimes the nurses give mixed responses
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
I had a great experience the first time around with New England IVF. After Boston IVF acquired them and since I moved, it was more difficult to get answers to my questions. The nurses didn’t spend as much time explaining next steps and I had to ask them to go over all the details with me mid cycle after I felt that I was getting mixed messages. The doctor also did not spend time walking me through the protocol. When it failed, she tried to hurry me into starting another cycle. I felt like it was just about generating more sales for them.
Describe the protocols Wendy Kuohung used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
The first cycle was Gonal F and then crinone after the transfer. It resulted in 7 follicles, then 3 embryos, 1 transferred and 2 frozen. I had 1 live birth. A couple years later, only one frozen embryo was viable and transferred. I used progesterone in oil at the time and disliked this regimen. Had I known that I had a choice, I would have picked the crinone but it was not discussed with me. This transfer failed. I went back a year later to start a fresh cycle and was put on follistem and lupron. I was not responding and my dose was doubled mid cycle. They had to freeze my cycle after the retrieval which obtained only 3 follicles. Only 1 follicle moves onto the embryo stage. They waited a few days to freeze it but unfortunately it did not make it.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The first time I did it, was ha nurses at New England IVF walked me through each detail. The second time around Boston IVF did not do any patient education but just told me to watch videos online. I also didn’t know I had a choice between crinone or progesterone otherwise I would have definitely picked the crinone. The third time, the care just got worse. The nurses told me different things and no one got back to me to start the cycle, I had to call and ask them to start. One nurse told me one thing while another told me different so I had to request that they provide me patient education and a treatment plan. When they had to double my dose, one of the nurses was nice enough to put aside samples for me so that I would have enough medication but I felt like I should never have been put in that situation in the first place. They didnt prompt me ahead of time to know what to expect, I had to ask if I knew.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF.
We experienced issues with our insurance denying some services because paperwork was filed incorrectly. That caused delays and it made me nervous how much we were going to have to pay. When I needed more medication, I wondered if it was due to the nurses incompetence because it took me a week to get more medicine. I Also ended up paying for medicines which I did not use because my embryo did not make it to transfer. Had I been told what medicines to get when, I would not have gotten them
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My husband gave the receptionist consent forms which were lost and found days later. When I needed medication, they told me they had to wait for insurance to authorize it which took a week but I wonder if it was a delay on their part as well. They told me conflicting messages about my treatment regimen, when to start and how much. When I had questions, sometimes they needed clarification and had to call me back with a response
Wendy Kuohung