Merle Berger

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

They're [the nurses at Boston IVF- Stoneham] great. Anytime that I called and had to leave a vm they got right back to me even though their message says 24 hours. In all the 30+ times I called they got back to me within an hour. Even after hours and on weekends. They're very organized and tell you exactly what the expectations are. It's a little intimidating at first because they present it like a secret mission, but they're simply being detailed and clear.
How was your experience with Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
My overall experience was great. This process can be overwhelming what with the terms, meds, options & possible change in protocol. Dr. Cardone explained everything in a manner that we could understand, a third grade level was was helpful. When my first IUI failed he changed things up a bit. When the second one did, his team called me the same day to share that Dr. Cardone already had my IVF treatment plan in place. He was pro active about it. When my husband presented with a sudden worry about embryo distraction, Dr. Cardone saw us the same week to walk us through the issue. (Due to my age it wasn't actually an issue for us). Dr. Cardone always kept us informed and educated. No question was foolish. For that we are grateful and for that we didn't ever question his plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
I would say that they shouldn't fear ever being treated like a question was foolish or that they were overreacting. That was always my fear as I was so uneducated about infertility. Dr. Cardone and his team are very skilled at what they do & are great with customer service.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
Dr. Cardone was very kind yet honest about the obstacles we could face. However, he also had a 'can do' attitude, and made us feel that our obstacles were manageable with some creativity & knowhow.
Describe the protocols Vito Cardone used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We started with IUI as it was least invasive. Also, I think that my ins required two failed before moving to IVF so we had no choice. (Not any fault of Dr. Cardone, but I felt that I was up against a clock as I was in the final few months of my 39th year. At 40 ins coverage is complicated). I have 2 embryos on ice and start about 15 days of prep on Oct 2 to get those little things back in me.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They're great. Anytime that I called and had to leave a vm they got right back to me even though their message says 24 hours. In all the 30+ times I called they got back to me within an hour. Even after hours and on weekends. They're very organized and tell you exactly what the expectations are. It's a little intimidating at first because they present it like a secret mission, but they're simply being detailed and clear.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think it could use a little interior design support. Although we're not going not for the decore, a little more of a welcoming astetically pleasing environment is great. They're efficient and that's what counts.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Vito Cardone at Boston IVF.
Co pay, some of meds.
Describe Vito Cardone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I trust his judgement implicitly.
Vito Cardone
Stoneham

Dr.Penzias was always incredibly respectful and took his time explaining everything to us. He is very detailed and will share endless reports, graphs, charts, studies with you if you want to hear how he makes his decisions with your care. He has a clear passion for what he does and seems genuinely happy for you when you achieve the family you want.... The third cycle I asked if we had atleast two strong embryos we could transfer both and he was fully on board.
Boston IVF is incredible organized. Each doctor has a full team that follows their patients care. The only difficulty I ever had was dealing with the folks talking with insurance. I had the sense that the REs all communicate and share the most recent studies with each other and that our care was always based on the latest well respected studies.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Feel comfortable questioning his choices as he is a wealth of information and will walk you through it all!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr.Penzias treated my husband and I like humans, not a number. We were always greeted by a smile, he always listened to our questions and fought hard for us when insurance thought we were not good candidates for using my own eggs. He never gave up and made sure we knew not to give up.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sara Tanner)
Sarah Tanner was incredible. She was upbeat, clear with instructions, greeted us with a hug like we became family and was genuinely thrilled for us when we were able to start our family.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
I am incredibly fortunate to live in a state that my healthcare covers much of the expenses of my IVF. I only have minimal copays for the medications and treatments/procedures.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
The first two rounds we did single embryo transfers and any remaining never made it to freeze. The third cycle I asked if we had atleast two strong embryos we could transfer both and he was fully on board. I ended up successfully having two beautiful daughters from that cycle and am currently pregnant with one from the one remaining frozen embryo we had from our 3rd cycle.

2013 - 2018, Successful
My husband's sperms motility was low which is why we started with IUI [with Dr. Carla DiGirolamo]...answered all of my questions and I never felt rushed. She has so much compassion and knowledge that my husband and I trust her implicitly...I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Digirolomo. She gave me a beautiful daughter, and now my husband and I are trusting her again with an IVF cycle. She is the most compassionate woman who is solid with her knowledge of fertility treatments and all of the above. She rocks!
I never felt guilty or uncomfortable asking questions or calling back for clarification because I was never made to feel like that [at Boston IVF]...Bryna is a wonderful nurse. I absolutely love talking to her...The staff are excellent and are always very nice...Patients like the flexibility to have lab work done early but if they run into problems (paperwork not faxed) there isn't a way to reach anyone. That has happened to me more than once and it's very frustrating especially when you are having timed blood work and ultrasounds.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Be patient and ask lots of questions. I never felt guilty or uncomfortable asking questions or calling back for clarification because I was never made to feel like that. They want you to have the tools and knowledge to make decisions and going to Boston IVF has been the best decision for my family.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr. D answered all of my questions and I never felt rushed. She has so much compassion and knowledge that my husband and I trust her implicitly.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I started with IUI and we were ecstatic to find out that it took on the second cycle without medication. My husband's sperms motility was low which is why we started with IUI. We waited a few years, dealt with a job loss and a stressful moment in our lives but got back on the horse so to speak. I have had a couple of setbacks and will be going to have a polyp removed to start IVF, but I couldn't be more thankful to have Dr. D and her team helping me through it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bryna)
Bryna is a wonderful nurse. I absolutely love talking to her.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The staff are excellent and are always very nice. The two things I would recommend are to have a direct number for the team and have the main number go on before 9 am. Patients like the flexibility to have lab work done early but if they run into problems (paperwork not faxed) there isn't a way to reach anyone. That has happened to me more than once and it's very frustrating especially when you are having timed blood work and ultrasounds.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
We had it covered by insurance.
Carla DiGirolamo
Boston

Dr Wright will do everything to get you there...2nd embryo transfer I got a stitch put in my cervix to help straighten it during the transfer. It worked perfectly and the transfer went more smoothly. I have 2 curves and it’s been hard at time to get the catheter in...The stitch in the my cervix was such a simple procedure I just wish it had been brought up earlier...has always taken the time to go over things each cycle or to try something new. We’ve had in person consults as well as phone consults so we wouldn’t have to wait.
The nurses [at IVF New England] were always wonderful. We had many over our visits and they were always warm and caring and helpful...It was expensive but the billing was always willing to try to get insurance to cover things...The strengths are the staff in general. They are all caring and you Know they want you succeed. The only weakness is that you don’t always get your doctor and usually a different nurse each time. While each doctor is great they don’t always know your whole story and that can be hard
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr Wright knows her stuff and she will always tell you how it is. She will break all the info down and help you understand. Having her as the one doing the procedure always made it easier. I’ve had bad experiences with iuis and embryo transfers. But the one I had with Dr Wright was the most comfortable. All together using my obgyn and Boston Ivf I’ve had 8 iuis and two embryo transfers using my wife’s embryos. None have been successful and I was thinking of giving up. My last embryo transfer I was sure it was my last try but Dr Wright changed things up and made the experience less painful and quick. While it wasn’t a success it made me rethink quitting. We’ve already come up with two alternate plans when I’m ready to restart next year.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
It’s hard work to get pregnant. But Dr Wright will do everything to get you there. It can be frustrating and scary at times, but I feel you can really put your trust in Dr Wright. It was a lot of struggle for us but we have our beautiful son.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
My wife and I both saw Dr Wright to try and get pregnant. My wife has gotten pregnant and gave birth, while I’m still trying. Dr Wright has always taken the time to go over things each cycle or to try something new. We’ve had in person consults as well as phone consults so we wouldn’t have to wait.
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
One iui cycle was with clomid 50mg for 5 days. Ovidrel 250 mcg 2nd iui: gonal f 50 iu Ovidrel 250 mcg Endometrin 100mg Embryo transfers: estradiol mg Estradiol patches .1 mg Progesterone 1 ml 2nd embryo transfer I got a stitch put in my cervix to help straighten it during the transfer. It worked perfectly and the transfer went more smoothly. I have 2 curves and it’s been hard at time to get the catheter in.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were always wonderful. We had many over our visits and they were always warm and caring and helpful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.
Unfortunately our insurance didn’t cover much. It was expensive but the billing was always willing to try to get insurance to cover things
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Kristen Wright
Lexington

I can't say enough about how fantastic Dr. Pauli is. He is thorough and honest in his explanations of options for me and chances of success. He is creative and thoughtful in his approach to my treatment. He listens to my concerns and questions and I never feel talked down to. He's been invaluable in navigating this process, and I trust him implicitly...explains things honestly, realistically and thoughtfully. He is warm and genuine, and I feel very comfortable asking any questions I have.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Ask any questions you have, anytime. Dr Pauli will answer them honestly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr Pauli explains things honestly, realistically and thoughtfully. He is warm and genuine, and I feel very comfortable asking any questions I have.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We used a microdose lupron flare protocol. We primed with estrogen (2 mg tabs morning/evening) from Day 21 of my previous cycle until my current cycle started. 10 units MDLupron starting the evening of my suppression check, and morning/evening thereafter. Follastim 300 units morning/evening starting on cycle day 4. We've retrieved varying numbers of eggs (anywhere from 4-7 per cycle) and anywhere from 2-4 have fertilized each cycle. I'm older (42) so getting eggs to develop to Day 5 was a problem for the first 2 cycles. This past cycle we did a fresh 3 day transfer of the 2 fertilized eggs we had, but it was not successful. We're trying a similar cycle now, and will again do a fresh transfer with any fertilized eggs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses I speak with regularly (Brittany, Nikki, Sherice) are great. They're knowledgeable about my protocol, and promptly return any calls answering questions I have.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I go to the Boston IVF location in Lexington for bloodwork, ultrasounds, and my appointments with Dr. Pauli. The appointments run on time, the nurses and ultrasound technicians are knowledgeable and happily answer all of my questions. I go to Boston IVF location in Waltham for my egg retrievals and transfers. Everything's been good there as well, I've had no issues. Appointments run on time, doctors performing the retrievals and transfers have been thorough with their explanations. No complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Most was covered under my health insurance (thankfully). We didn't end up using PGS testing, but that would be an out of pocket cost, as would using frozen donor eggs.
Describe Samuel Pauli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We are doing a multiple embryo transfer, as I'm older and my egg quality hasn't been great. Dr Pauli felt that would give us the best chance of getting pregnant.
Lexington

He [Dr. Brain Berger] is confident and has alot of experience with diminished ovarian reserve. However, his choice of protocols began to feel cookie-cutter, as he was not receptive to changing up the protocols for us, even after 4 IVF cycles with no pregnancy...Don't expect to see him face to face very much. But he does review all of his patients monitoring results himself, and makes the recommendations via his nurses.
[Boston IVF is] big and you begin to fee like a number. Your primary doctor will not always be the one doing your egg retrievals or transfers. You have to be comfortable with other RE's doing your procedures. For the procedures, you have to travel to Waltham, which may be farther than your home clinic...We never had any problems with the nursing staff at BIVF. I also emailed Catherine with questions and she was prompt at getting back to me via email, and phone calls.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He is confident and has alot of experience with diminished ovarian reserve. However, his choice of protocols began to feel cookie-cutter, as he was not receptive to changing up the protocols for us, even after 4 IVF cycles with no pregnancy.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Many people feel that Dr. Berger comes across as arrogant, this didn't bother me very much, so long as he was confident in what he was doing. Which he wa. He always treated us with honesty and was straight-forward.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
He recommended the estrogen priming antagonist protocol for me every time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Catherine Lamb)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It's big and you begin to fee like a number. Your primary doctor will not always be the one doing your egg retrievals or transfers. You have to be comfortable with other RE's doing your procedures. For the procedures, you have to travel to Waltham, which may be farther than your home clinic.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
They gave you times, but it was mostly a first-come, first-serve basis, which I liked.
Just co-pays
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
He did not have a strong preference as to the number of embryos transfered; however, if at day 3 he felt like you may lose some at day 4 or 5, he recommends transfering 2, for example, on day 3.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
On the day of a transfer, I found out Dr. Berger decided to transfer 2 embryos instead of 1 without letting us know prior.
South Shore

I'm glad that my husband and I trusted our gut instinct about what was best for us, and appreciated that Dr. Thornton and her team were flexible and supportive of our decision. ... What I can say is that in my initial consultation, Dr. Thornton gave me a lot of reassurance that treatment could work for us, got me started on treatment right away as I had hoped, and explained what she would recommend for us and why very thoroughly.
It did at times feel a bit like a baby factory with so many people coming in and out, but again, that seems expected when you choose a larger practice. I only had one procedure done at the clinic, with a few rounds of lab work, so my experiences are somewhat limited, but I had no complaints. ... However, given the sheer size of Boston IVF, it was hard to not feel a bit like a number during my actual treatment cycles, since there were so many women at the Waltham location for labs/treatments/etc.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I was only a patient for a few months as my second treatment cycle was successful, so I can't comment on some of the questions like how compassionate Dr. Thornton is or how willing to change treatment course she is -- those didn't come up during our treatment course. What I can say is that in my initial consultation, Dr. Thornton gave me a lot of reassurance that treatment could work for us, got me started on treatment right away as I had hoped, and explained what she would recommend for us and why very thoroughly. I ultimately had positive results after just two months and am forever grateful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I would recommend advocating for yourself and what you feel is the best for you. Dr. Thornton recommended that we do letrozole + IUI, which did not work during our first month of treatment. I was concerned that the timing of the IUI the first month could have been a bit off and that that could have caused the unsuccessful cycle (we did not use a trigger or do any monitoring). As a result, for our second cycle, I felt strongly that I wanted to try letrozole + timed intercourse instead of the IUI, and expressed that to Dr. Thornton and her team. They were supportive of this change, and that was the month that we were successful. I'm glad that my husband and I trusted our gut instinct about what was best for us, and appreciated that Dr. Thornton and her team were flexible and supportive of our decision.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
During my one-on-one consultation with Dr. Thornton, I very much felt treated like a human and was able to ask all of the questions I had. I felt she addressed my concerns adequately and gave me reassurance about beginning treatment. However, given the sheer size of Boston IVF, it was hard to not feel a bit like a number during my actual treatment cycles, since there were so many women at the Waltham location for labs/treatments/etc. I don't fault Dr. Thornton for this but rather feel it is almost inevitable when selecting a large fertility treatment center.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Both cycles, I took letrozole (I believe the dose was 7.5ish?) CD3-7. This was to help me ovulate strong eggs, and ideally more than 1 to help increase our chances of success. Our first cycle, I had an IUI performed. I was told to test with OPKs every morning before noon starting at CD 15. Once I had a positive test, I was to call and schedule my IUI for the next morning, and my husband would go in and drop off a fresh sample. We did this one time and were unsuccessful. Our second cycle, we used the same letrozole protocol but had timed intercourse once I began testing positive on OPKs. We were successful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I appreciate the size of this practice and the number of locations to choose from for providers. It did at times feel a bit like a baby factory with so many people coming in and out, but again, that seems expected when you choose a larger practice. I only had one procedure done at the clinic, with a few rounds of lab work, so my experiences are somewhat limited, but I had no complaints.
Framingham

We met with him [Dr. Toth] 3-4 times throughout our treatment...during the treatment process we most definitely felt like a number. We only heard from Dr. Toth when we made an appointment and visited the office. He never reached out in any other manner...And in a frustrating way he always reminded us that we were lucky to have one child and to focus on that fact as things progressed. We know we are lucky, but that didn't make it any easier to go through this process.
The nurses [at Boston IVF] provided very little information, usually without any context. For example one cycle we were unable to move forward with an IUI because of an "ovarian cyst", the nurse was unable to explain why it was a problem or what we should do about it. The location is Waltham is enormous, and very impersonal...Nicole [nurse] was wonderful to work with. She was easy to be in touch with and always advocating for us. We saw and heard from many nurses in addition to Nicole, for the most part they were good, however since we didn't see anyone regularly outside of Nicole it was mostly impersonal experiences.
How was your experience with Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Dr. Toth was warm and caring. He seemed engaged in our conversations and always wanted to know how we were doing and what was going on in our lives. However, we never heard from him unless we proactively made an appointment to see him in his office. While he was realistic about our chances of becoming pregnant, he never offered any guidance (like diet or lifestyle) outside of ambiguous medical information. And in a frustrating way he always reminded us that we were lucky to have one child and to focus on that fact as things progressed. We know we are lucky, but that didn't make it any easier to go through this process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Advocate for yourself. Make sure you have a way to hear from and contact Dr. Toth along the way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Dr Toth was so warm and caring. We met with him 3-4 times throughout our treatment. However, during the treatment process we most definitely felt like a number. We only heard from Dr. Toth when we made an appointment and visited the office. He never reached out in any other manner. The nurses provided very little information, usually without any context. For example one cycle we were unable to move forward with an IUI because of an "ovarian cyst", the nurse was unable to explain why it was a problem or what we should do about it. The location is Waltham is enormous, and very impersonal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
Nicole was wonderful to work with. She was easy to be in touch with and always advocating for us. We saw and heard from many nurses in addition to Nicole, for the most part they were good, however since we didn't see anyone regularly outside of Nicole it was mostly impersonal experiences.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF has done wonderful things for so many families. It's a huge facility/network with so many doctors and resources. However, it's very easy to feel like a number. The location in Waltham is huge and hard to navigate. It feels more like a factory than a doctor's office. It made us feel very uneasy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Toth at Boston IVF.
We were lucky that insurance covered a significant portion of our treatments.
Thomas Toth

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Brian Berger is a] Nice enough doctor, but hardly actually see him. The IUI procedures are even performed in another office, and are performed by staff from that office. Have had maybe 2 in person visits with him, and one or two phone consults...Of the numerous IUI cycles, only one egg fertilized, but it was a biochemical pregnancy, and what I thought was just a heavy period was apparently actually miscarrying at not even a full 4 weeks. I'm turning 43 in a matter of weeks and am super frustrated with the fact that after so much time, money, stress and tears, I still have no children.
A couple of times I wasn't called back with next step instructions [at Boston IVF] when I was supposed to be, despite my calling the office repeatedly, and both times that happened, it wound up being a canceled cycle. I still wonder if it is because they screwed up and I didn't get the instructions properly...Let's just say that, for the 7 or 8 IUI attempts we tried, I maxed out 3 credit cards...Theyre often very, very behind schedule. Have sat in the waiting room for over an hour before being called in. The woman who does the blood draws is absolutely fabulous, though. Im a tough draw, my veins like to roll away and hide, but she can always manage to get one to cooperate.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
You may get frustrated with the entire clinic.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Some were great. One older woman does NOT belong working there. No empathy at all. I wish I'd written down her name to be more specific. Made an already heartbreaking day worse.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
A couple of times I wasn't called back with next step instructions when I was supposed to be, despite my calling the office repeatedly, and both times that happened, it wound up being a canceled cycle. I still wonder if it is because they screwed up and I didn't get the instructions properly and threw off what should have happened w
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Pauli has great bedside manor, even while delivering bad news he makes you feel like he cares. I also like that he doesn’t give you false hope and tells it to you straight. Dr. Pauli has made me feel like I have say. When a cycle didn’t work he listens to my concerns and discusses the what to do next. I am a scientist so I am always reading medical journal articles, and Dr. Pauli respects that is willing to try things if it makes sense for a positive outcome.
Dr. Pauli’s nursing team [at IVF New England] openly share information as things progress. It makes me feel more involved and less vulnerable. Everyone is friendly and so supportive, my own cheer squad!...the day of my fresh transfer my husband had a difficult day time with his contribution. Not only did the rooms not have any door looks, and people kept knocking on the door...The Waltham IVF location was the only complaint we have.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Don’t be afraid to ask any and everything you can think of.
Dr. Pauli along with his nursing team openly share information as things progress. It makes me feel more involved and less vulnerable. Everyone is friendly and so supportive, my own cheer squad!
My first IUI we tried clomid, but it hampered growth of my uterine lining. So I ended up with a negative test. For the next two cycle of iui we just used gonal-f at 375 units twice daily, still we got a negative. I never had more than 4 follicles. For the first IVF we used BC, lupron and final-f. After the BC my body had a difficult time restarting resulting in 22 days of injections. However there were 3 follicles and two were retrieved. Both follicles were fertilized by icsi and were day 3 transfer 8A embryos my lining thickened to 7mm. Unfortunately we saw a negative. When meeting with the Dr we discussed what might have hampered things, my concern was that the BC was too suppressive so we tried just estrogen and lupron. . After 14 days of injections my lining had thickened only and I had only one follicle and It didn’t want to grow. So to my dismay the cycle was canceled. The third cycle we went back to BC with clomid, gonal-f and a antagomits. Centrolide the antagonist hurt and bruised me for weeks. Once again my lining did not grow past 4mm, I did have 2 nice follicles. Due to the low # of follicles the IVF cycle was converted to iui. Nothing stuck. Dr. Pauli told me as long as I produce eggs we will try, but I need to start thinking about using a donor egg. That is tough to hear but it is realistic. My current cycle is just beginning with BC, lupron and 375 BID. I hope we get a positive soon.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Dr. Pauli’s nursing team openly share information as things progress. It makes me feel more involved and less vulnerable. Everyone is friendly and so supportive, my own cheer squad!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is coviently located in Lexington to my work near by. The day of my fresh transfer my husband had a difficult day time with his contribution. Not only did the rooms not have any door looks, and people kept knocking on the door. The Waltham IVF location was the only complaint we have.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Medications, copays and lab work.
Lexington
Dr. Luzzo made us feel like their was hope, but gave us the straight information...and we wanted both.... She was candid, but kind and gave us the straight up answers when we asked questions. She didn't sugarcoat things and we liked that.... It was a pretty standard IVF cycle, although she did provide a little different protocol in terms of the drugs and increased the estrogen for the treatment.
I think Boston IVF can be a great clinic, but because they are so large you get handed off to different doctors and we had to go to different clinics for different procedures. I like the fact that they have a whole mind, body, spirit component with IVF. They offer a support group that I joined that was helpful.... Most of the appointments were in the early morning so it was first come, first serve. That can be a little nerve wracking, but I got into my appointments all the time before I went to work.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
I think Dr. Luzzo was exactly what we wanted in a doctor. She was better than our previous one who had a better reputation. She was candid, but kind and gave us the straight up answers when we asked questions. She didn't sugarcoat things and we liked that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Just be ready to hear the truth. She will give it to you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
She seemed very empathetic. She knew her stuff and that is always important. She seemed to get her job done quickly and proficiently.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Our insurance covered practically all of the costs and Dr. Luzzo was honest with us about additional procedures like Donor Eggs and PGS. We actually saved some money based upon her advice regarding Donor Eggs.
Describe Kerri Luzzo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Boston IVF only does single transfer to prevent multiples. Our previous doctor did not. We did have a pregnancy with the previous clinic, but it resulted in a miscarriage.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I think our prescriptions were delayed for this last procedure. It wasn't a big deal, but it did cause a bit of anxiety for us to start the procedure.
Providence
Dr Penzias put us on 6 months of medicated cycles...he had a scientific and statistical approach to everything. He would explain things thoroughly in statistical terms, which is great if your mind works that way, but sometimes I would've preferred more layman terms. We were pleased during our times with him, but the main problem was we could rarely get a hold of him for any ad hoc questions, and appointments with him took a while to schedule out. We also thought he would be performing our procedures (ie egg retrieval) but that was not the case.
Diagnostic testing [at Boston IVF] that was not covered by insurance amounted to about 2-3k, which came as a surprise to us and I would've elected not to do some of it (like for STDs)... I was happy overall with my doctor when I got to see him, and the latter dedicated nurses I had were very helpful and caring...it was a little clumsily run. Every time I would check in at the main front desk, there would be three employees sitting there chatting and I would rarely be pointed to the right place for secondary check-in. Oftentimes I was sent to wait by the blood testing wing and they would be calling my name in the other wing or vice versa, and have me marked as late for my appointment. The staff that were at the payment windows were also terribly unfriendly more often than not ... they'd be on their phones and roll their eyes when I approached asking if I pay for my appointment there.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr Penzias seemed to be very knowledgeable and had a scientific and statistical approach to everything. He would explain things thoroughly in statistical terms, which is great if your mind works that way, but sometimes I would've preferred more layman terms. We were pleased during our times with him, but the main problem was we could rarely get a hold of him for any ad hoc questions, and appointments with him took a while to schedule out. We also thought he would be performing our procedures (ie egg retrieval) but that was not the case.
For the first 75% of my cycle I was under the care of a rotating stream of nurses. I would get monitoring result and other related calls from a different person each day, and they were not always on the same page. Some of the nurses were very nice and some were curt. I'm not sure if this was sorted out and they now have 1 dedicated nurse for Dr Penzias, but the rotating care was frustrating since i had to re-explain a concern or re-ask a question constantly to different people.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Dr Penzias put us on 6 months of medicated cycles (he gave us the choice of IUI vs just timed relations each month - we did the latter due to our travel schedule) before we moved on to IVF. I was on standard Gonal F, ovidril, cetratide prior to egg retrieval and then progesterone in oil prior to embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
The latter reviews for primary nurse are specifically for Sara and Ashley. In the first portion of my time with Dr Penzias I was treated by a rotating schedule of nurses which was frustrating. But when Sara was working she was very attentive, compassionate, super responsive and helpful and then when Ashley took over she was also amazing.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Even though Boston IVF Waltham is a large center, it was a little clumsily run. Every time I would check in at the main front desk, there would be three employees sitting there chatting and I would rarely be pointed to the right place for secondary check-in. Oftentimes I was sent to wait by the blood testing wing and they would be calling my name in the other wing or vice versa, and have me marked as late for my appointment. The staff that were at the payment windows were also terribly unfriendly more often than not ... they'd be on their phones and roll their eyes when I approached asking if I pay for my appointment there. If you can look past these administrative issues, I was happy overall with my doctor when I got to see him, and the latter dedicated nurses I had were very helpful and caring.
Our insurance ended up covering our IVF cycle, but we were quoted about 15k for the cycle. Diagnostic testing that was not covered by insurance amounted to about 2-3k, which came as a surprise to us and I would've elected not to do some of it (like for STDs).
Waltham
Dr. Glatstein was very compassionate, very personable. For key milestones, he often called us himself...From the beginning, Dr.Glatstein gave us the confidence and sense of calmness we needed throughout the process. Through it all, Dr. Glastein was there for us and assuring us that we would have success! Failing a fresh embryo transfer after retrieval, we had success upon our first frozen embryo transfer. Dr. Glatstein is a passionate, patient, and kind caregiver. We were so thankful to have him on our side.
Process wise there was some confusion [at IVF New England] about who (which doctor) is performing retrievals and transfers. It was not clear to me from the beginning that my primary treating physician may not be the one performing the retrieval or transfer. I wish I received more advance notice of which doctor was on staff that day performing these duties...The clinic works tirelessly. I was worried my transfer timing might occur right on Thanksgiving Day. The assured me they work, they're open!
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
Every fertility journey is unique. From the beginning, Dr.Glatstein gave us the confidence and sense of calmness we needed throughout the process. Through it all, Dr. Glastein was there for us and assuring us that we would have success! Failing a fresh embryo transfer after retrieval, we had success upon our first frozen embryo transfer. Dr. Glatstein is a passionate, patient, and kind caregiver. We were so thankful to have him on our side. Don't wait to make an appointment... go see them now!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
Do not hesitate to make an appointment. Time is precious!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Isaac Glatstein used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Dr.Glastein ordered Gonal-F, Menopur and Cetrotide for stimulation. I believe all were low-to-moderate doses as this was my first cycle and I was 31 YO at the time. Leuprolide trigger shot was also ordered but not used as it was not needed. Retrieval resulted in 9 eggs. Estradiol patches and Crinone were ordered as supportive medications as well.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff changed quite a bit during the entire course of treatment. I believe it was the clinic's intention to assign a primary nurse but due to turnover and staffing changes it felt like I spoke with a different person every time. Although this was somewhat frustrating from a continuity of care perspective, all the nurses I spoke with were well trained and pleasant.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic works tirelessly. I was worried my transfer timing might occur right on Thanksgiving Day. The assured me they work, they're open! As a private clinic this is a major positive vs. smaller or academic clinics that may not do retrievals or transfers on Sundays or holidays for example. Process wise there was some confusion about who (which doctor) is performing retrievals and transfers. It was not clear to me from the beginning that my primary treating physician may not be the one performing the retrieval or transfer. I wish I received more advance notice of which doctor was on staff that day performing these duties.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF.
Fortunately, I had insurance coverage. I believe I paid a coinsurance for stimulation medications. Otherwise, all procedures, monitoring, testing, etc... was covered at no cost to me with the exception of cryopreservation which I believe was at or close to $1,000. We also have to pay $85 per month out of pocket for continued storage of cryopreserved embryos.
Isaac Glatstein
Lexington
Dr Luzzo appears knowledgeable but also to be going through the motions at times with not a lot of compassion or concern. At times, I felt like I had to advocate for myself and do my own research and then ask about things. She tended to talk fast and made me feel rushed.... I have had 3 IUIs. The first was with 50mg Clomid and the next two we bumped up to 100mg. I asked to use progesterone suppositories after the first IUI due to my short cycle length. I did OPK the first cycle. Then I missed my surge one month. The
One aspect which is frustrating is that sperm is stored at another office and you have to pick it up in the day of the IUI and bring it to this clinic [Boston IVF]. Also, the nurse who does the IUIs has been out a lot and in those situations, you speak to a nurse at the Boston office who are not very familiar with the Providence location. The office staff are very nice overall - the people who answer the phone, the phlebotomist, etc. the office is small and can feel crowded in the morning when you come for lab work.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Be prepared to advocate and speak up
The initial appointment I felt very rushed and as though Dr. Luzzo was just giving a spiel she had given 1,000 with very little affect or interest. My two follow up appointments have been a little better - still not a lot of emotion and feeling a bit rushed along.
I have had 3 IUIs. The first was with 50mg Clomid and the next two we bumped up to 100mg. I asked to use progesterone suppositories after the first IUI due to my short cycle length. I did OPK the first cycle. Then I missed my surge one month. The next two IUIs I did blood test monitoring only to detect my surge. I am in the two week wait now after my third IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy has been responsive when I reach out but is not in the office very much. Also, she doesn’t always seem to remember my situation which can be frustrating. I have also had to remind her about calling in prescriptions and such for me. It has been a bit stressful at times.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
One aspect which is frustrating is that sperm is stored at another office and you have to pick it up in the day of the IUI and bring it to this clinic. Also, the nurse who does the IUIs has been out a lot and in those situations, you speak to a nurse at the Boston office who are not very familiar with the Providence location. The office staff are very nice overall - the people who answer the phone, the phlebotomist, etc. the office is small and can feel crowded in the morning when you come for lab work.
Most was out of pocket IUI is about $450
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I have had issues with not getting results, office not communicating with another office that had to do my IUI when clinic nurse was out, as well as prescriptions not being called in and overall poor communication at times about treatment plan.
Providence
Be prepared to talk to nurses more than him [Dr. Berger] for the majority of the time...He is very kind and gentle. I wish I got hard numbers for odds, but I’m not sure any doctor can really give that. I do wish I saw or spoke with him instead of the nurses more often, but honestly, I know he is busy reviewing results and creating protocols and I can respect that. My feeling is, he is the expert and whatever he needs to make the magic happen, I support
I was given my negative result [by Boston IVF] on a voicemail once. I did not appreciate that at all. The other two times I was able to answer the phone...Nice place. Several locations, which is great. Surgery and lab on site at the main office. Although I have never been to any other clinic and cannot compare, everything feels very “top of the line” at bivf...The staff are all pretty attentive and caring. It does take a while to get a follow up appointment, but phone appointments make it easier to get one faster and since I live far away, I really appreciate being able to do phone appointments.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Be prepared to talk to nurses more than him for the majority of the time. They are really helpful though, and will make sure to get all your questions answered
We used ovarian stims to try to get several eggs at each retrieval
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I was given my negative result on a voicemail once. I did not appreciate that at all. The other two times I was able to answer the phone.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Nice place. Several locations, which is great. Surgery and lab on site at the main office. Although I have never been to any other clinic and cannot compare, everything feels very “top of the line” at bivf. Speak up and don’t be afraid to ask questions about your protocol because it might not be explained in great detail, although it will certainly be explained to some degree. I am lucky that I have great insurance, but I think they have access to grant or study $ options which is great too
We have never discussed my decision to transfer one embryo. I have always been fine with transferring two 3 day or 1 at 5 day
2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Based on my diagnosis of DOR [by Dr. David Ryley] 2-3 embryos were thought to be best for transfer...Dr. Ryley has an excellent bedside manner. He is compassionate and friendly and explains the process well. I did not find him open to changing protocols nor did he seem particularly well versed in treating DOR...The last protocol I insisted upon; the first two were standard for the clinic and were attempted because women often respond differently to the 2 protocols.
My nurse [at Boston IVF] was not communicative regarding important parameters during my cycle (although other nurses were when she was not available to call.)...very efficient, wait times for monitoring are almost nonexistent, and retrievals and transfers run smoothly. Overall the clinic is very good. Based on my experience with one doctor, I would suggest that more alternative or atypical protocols be attempted, particularly in the case of conditions such as DOR.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Be your own advocate. Ask many questions, and insist on the treatment that you want. If you have a condition such as DOR, ask specifically what would differ in your treatment compared to women without DOR.
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol (I responded poorly), 2 micro-flare protocols (I responded better), and two A/ACP with estrogen priming protocols (I produced many more eggs). The last protocol I insisted upon; the first two were standard for the clinic and were attempted because women often respond differently to the 2 protocols.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi Atherton)
Heidi was very personable and polite, but provided almost no information regarding parameters during the cycle such as follicle number, estrogen levels, etc., even when I specifically requested that I be provided this information (often, a voicemail is left when the patient is busy at work). I have since learned that many patients are provided cycle calendars (Heidi does not provide them), and following often complicated instructions is much more difficult in the absence of a cycle calendar. Other mistakes were made, such as the source of sperm (fresh or frozen) many times, which definitely increased my stress level during the process.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is very efficient, wait times for monitoring are almost nonexistent, and retrievals and transfers run smoothly. Overall the clinic is very good. Based on my experience with one doctor, I would suggest that more alternative or atypical protocols be attempted, particularly in the case of conditions such as DOR.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Massachusetts covers IVF cycles almost fully. For freezing and storing samples, as well as copays for medications, our overall costs during 5 IVF cycles over the course of 2 years was approximately $2500.
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Based on my diagnosis of DOR, 2-3 embryos were thought to be best for transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Of the many times a call needed to be returned to me, only once or twice was I not called back. One major issue was failure to record use of a frozen sperm sample for each IVF cycle. Out of 5 cycles, only once was this done correctly (requiring me to make several calls before these retrievals to correct the error.) My nurse was not communicative regarding important parameters during my cycle (although other nurses were when she was not available to call.)
Boston
It was obvious that Dr. Berger genuinely cared about us. He would come into the office and have a conversation with us about every day life. He wasn’t just there to talk IVF business. I appreciated having a friendly conversation with him that wasn’t strictly IVF related...He is a compassionate human being that genuinely cares about his patients. You could tell he felt our pain when things didn’t go as planned and he felt our happiness when they did. I was sad to have to part with him when I was 6 weeks pregnant. He made me feel like there was hope when our first doctor didn’t. He gave me our miracle baby!
They [nurse at Boston IVF] were all super sweet and very friendly...There was only one time when I wasn’t notified of my next steps. But I don’t consider that as something that requires me to tattletale on them because I understand the amount of phone calls they receive and deliver each day...Considering the amount of people they have in and out of their clinic daily I would say that they are doing pretty well. Of course there are some things that I could complain about but I wouldn’t necessarily consider them as a weakness
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Be patient. Ask any and all questions. It will happen for you one way or another. We were told by my first IVF doctor that after my daughter was born my husband wouldn’t be able to keep going in producing sperm. Here we are 4 years later with our little miracle babe!
He is aggressive. But he knows his stuff and how knows what your body can handle. I just put all my faith in him!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They were all super sweet and very friendly. We attended the baby bowl right after we started seeing Brian Berger as our doctor. His nursing team was also in attendance at the baby bowl and were able to spot myself and my husband and made sure to come and say hi to us. I thought it was great how personal they were with us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Thankfully my insurance company covered almost all of our procedures due to my husband‘s condition. We however are required to pay for sperm and embryo storage
He was open to whatever we chose. But because I was healthy and young there was no need for multiples
Boston
Dr. Resetkova was extremely caring throughout the process of the first time I walked into her offie to personally calling me to tell me about my positive pregnancy test. She explained everything to me, as it applied to me. She customized my treatment for what my body was doing at that moment....I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was prescribed 5mg of Femara at the beginning of my cycle. I went in for regular blood work and ultrasound monitoring. I was told when to administer the Ovidrel shot in order to induce ovulation
The entire staff at Boston IVF is very helpful and dedicated to their patients. I never had to worry about getting my results; they called the second they were in and communicated next steps. They were easily available by phone or email....Little wait time in scheduling appointments with the doctor. Really warm staff that gets to know you well as your treatment progresses. I did not have any negative experiences. I was seen at the Quincy office throughout the entire process and I was always in and out on time.
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
I absolutely love working with Dr. Resetkova. I had the opportunity to be seen at MGH or BWH where my consults with MFMs were as I would be a high risk pregnancy after my second trimester loss. I chose to return to Dr. Resetkova because I fully trusted her after the first round of successful treatment. She explained everything to me, I never had questions about what would happen next. After my loss she developed a plan to get us towards our next round of treatment, when we were comfortable, as well as to help me get the information I needed to understand what happened in my pregnancy as well as what questions to ask of a MFM who will be managing my pregnancy in the future.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Ask questions about the various forms of treatment. A lot of clinics it seems will want to rush you to IUI or IVF. We chose to use ovulation induction without IUI after I asked further questions and she was completely on board and it worked for us our first try.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Dr. Resetkova was extremely caring throughout the process of the first time I walked into her offie to personally calling me to tell me about my positive pregnancy test. She explained everything to me, as it applied to me. She customized my treatment for what my body was doing at that moment. When I experienced a second trimester loss (unrelated to infertility or her treatment) she sat down with me to go over everything that happened; gave me helpful information as well as questions to ask MFM during consults; and created a new treatment plan with me so I would have steps to take, as she knows and understands that I'm a person that really needs a plan and having steps to look forward to.
Describe the protocols Nina Resetkova used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was prescribed 5mg of Femara at the beginning of my cycle. I went in for regular blood work and ultrasound monitoring. I was told when to administer the Ovidrel shot in order to induce ovulation and on what days to have relations. We then went back for two HCG blood draws and two ultrasounds before I went to my regular OB for care.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Easily available by phone or email to discuss issues. Little wait time in scheduling appointments with the doctor. Really warm staff that gets to know you well as your treatment progresses. I did not have any negative experiences. I was seen at the Quincy office throughout the entire process and I was always in and out on time. The early morning monitoring ensures that I got results by the early afternoon and that my work day wasn't interrupted.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF.
I had a $40 copay for my visits with Dr. Resetkova; I paid nothing out of pocket for monitoring ultrasounds/blood work. I had a prescription co pay for Ovidrel that was $130. I did not pay for Femara.
Nina Resetkova
South Shore
The doctor [Dr. Sneeringer] was very pleasant and at the same time realistic. We were given the facts and although we did not go as far as she planned us needing to go, we were always informed...VERY thorough in her workup which ultimately led to our baby girl we are expecting. If the workup was not so thorough I never would have found the reason I kept losing pregnancies. We are forever grateful.
[The nurses at Boston IVF were] Always friendly and so happy for us when the time came...Sometimes you will be called by and NP and it may be someone you have not met before. In my opinion it did not matter as long as I was being cared for in a timely manner. With other people it may matter and you may want a one on one relationship with the doctor...I was given baby aspirin for MTHFR and elevated PAI 1. I was also given metformin 1500mg daily for elevated insulin with no other signs of PCOS.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
We truly enjoyed being patients of Dr. Sneeringer. She was very realistic and VERY thorough in her workup which ultimately led to our baby girl we are expecting. If the workup was not so thorough I never would have found the reason I kept losing pregnancies. We are forever grateful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Just keep going! Keep plugging away. There are many roads to becoming a parent and if one doesn't work try the next. It is an extremely difficult experience but nothing is more worth it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
The doctor was very pleasant and at the same time realistic. We were given the facts and although we did not go as far as she planned us needing to go, we were always informed.
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I was given baby aspirin for MTHFR and elevated PAI 1. I was also given metformin 1500mg daily for elevated insulin with no other signs of PCOS. Once the next pregnancy was achieved we were given Crinone 8% gel daily which I believe was the best thing that helped our daughter grow. I continued crinone for 28 weeks although it was only recommended until 10. I just had too big of a feeling that she needed it and my progesterone was low multiple times when I had lab work done. Our daughter is now coming in just a week!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Always friendly and so happy for us when the time came. They even asked that we bring the baby in to see them which we will!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
The lab work was the most expensive being about 800 dollars but at the time our insurance was not the greatest. The medications totaled about 35 per month which was great!
Stoneham
It may take a while to see results but in our case after our first cycle was canceled he [Dr. Ryley] definitely made adjustments for our next treatment and called me himself to explain why the cycle was canceled. ... We tried several medicated cycles, 3 IUIs after he explained that the odds really didn’t improve after that point, took a break and finally moved forward with IVF. For IVF we did an antagonist protocol with PGS testing and a frozen transfer of a day 5 embryo.
Heidi, Amanda, and now I forget the name of the other nurse [Boston IVF] I spoke with a lot, were so so wonderful. They were very clear with instructions, answered questions, and showed tremendous compassion. Heidi in particular just really seemed to care about our situation. The people doing the blood draws in Brookline were also tremendously compassionate!
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
I would definitely recommend Dr. Ryley to a friend, as he was recommended to us. I think I would just be clear that you may not see him as often as you expect and he may also not do the procedures himself. But that was understandable given timing issues. I thoroughly appreciated his care and got the treatment we so desperately needed.
Just to manage your expectations. He is a wonderful doctor but not a magician. It may take a while to see results but in our case after our first cycle was canceled he definitely made adjustments for our next treatment and called me himself to explain why the cycle was canceled. He also called me to review how our embryos were progressing which meant a lot.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Dr. Ryley always asked how I was doing during our consultations and conveyed compassion and dignity and warmth. Also a sense of humor.
My husband and I drove the process and dr. Ryley did not push us towards IVF until we felt we were ready. We tried several medicated cycles, 3 IUIs after he explained that the odds really didn’t improve after that point, took a break and finally moved forward with IVF. For IVF we did an antagonist protocol with PGS testing and a frozen transfer of a day 5 embryo. It was successful!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
I cannot rave about the nurses working for Dr. ryley enough!!! Heidi, Amanda, and now I forget the name of the other nurse I spoke with a lot, were so so wonderful. They were very clear with instructions, answered questions, and showed tremendous compassion. Heidi in particular just really seemed to care about our situation. The people doing the blood draws in Brookline were also tremendously compassionate!
David Ryley

Dr. Bayer is extremely nice, however, most of my contact is with his nursing staff. The nurses are not very forthcoming with information and it appears Dr. Bayer is not very involved in my case as I have only spoken to him once, which includes my initial consultation. Our second meeting I had to initiate on the advice of a friend, due to the number of unanswered questions I had....Each insemination was $450, which is performed by a nurse. I was offered a "trigger shot" last minute, with no explanation of its purpose or benefits, at the cost of $650...Three natural cycles and three cycles with medication.
Boston IVF has a lot of availability, which is helpful for scheduling. However, you have minimal contact with the providers on your case. The facilities are well maintained, but I feel they are more interested in finding ways to bill me, than helping me conceive....Important details about my test results and how it affects my treatment plan was not disclosed in a timely manner....Staff was only forthcoming about how much they were going to bill me. Otherwise, treatment and results were vaguely explained. I seek most of my information elsewhere, which is extremely frustrating.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Be prepared to be in the dark and spend a lot of money.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Three natural cycles and three cycles with medication.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Always polite, but not forthcoming with information about procedures or treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
My two office visits with the doctor were covered by my insurance, except for my co-pays. Each insemination was $450, which is performed by a nurse. I was offered a "trigger shot" last minute, with no explanation of its purpose or benefits, at the cost of $650.
Steven Bayer
Boston

I love her [Dr. Rita Sneeringer] bedside manners, she always makes me feel very comfortable. She makes us aware of every possible outcome, And no question is stupid. I’ve spent over an hour in her office just talking about our plan and options and never felt rushed. I appreciate those little things.... She has such a positive outlook on us, and our situation. She’s always makes us feel like she has our backs!
It may seems a bit disorganized or over whelming but i feel as tho that’s because they [Boston IVF-Boston] have so many patients. It depends on where everyone is on their cycle some Days are just crazy and the next time it could be so slow.... My latest cycle I was using 450units of gonal F, 150units of menopur, with cetrotide being just added as well!... I never had a problem m booking orgetting in for a monitoring appointment. They Always seemed very to be willing to take me!
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
I love her bedside manners, she always makes me feel very comfortable. She makes us aware of every possible outcome, And no question is stupid. I’ve spent over an hour in her office just talking about our plan and options and never felt rushed. I appreciate those little things.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, no matter how silly you think it might be!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg)
I always felt like i could call at any day or time and she was right there for me.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It may seems a bit disorganized or over whelming but i feel as tho that’s because they have so many patients. It depends on where everyone is on their cycle some Days are just crazy and the next time it could be so slow.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
I feel very lucy the past few times I’ve done IVf, I’m just paying for the Copays! It’s next Time I’m worried about... my insurance won’t help anymore so I’ll have to pay out of pocket for my doner sperm and procedure to implant m.
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We have done multiple transfers each time to get a better chance of at least one sticking!
Boston

She [Dr. Kerri Luzzo] is a very personable Dr, she goes out of her way to explain things and make sure you get to decide what happens and how. She is also upfront with what will work and what will not and seems to be knowledgeable about treatment options... Lots of blood work to check hormones etc, then uterine cavity check turned out I had cysts which I had removed surgically, had a sonohysteogram because I had a tubal reversal and needed to make sure tubes were open, 1 iui with a negative and waiting for Ivf now.
The clinic [Boston IVF-Providence] is good everyone seems to care about you as a person, the only thing that I didn't like was that if you are a little behind on your account you can't go forward with treatments. I understand in some sense bc most treatment after insurance even leave you with a 500 dollar bill bc fertility treatments aren't cheap but it makes you feel like more depressed when you want something so bad and always seems to be an obstacle
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
She is a very personable Dr, she goes out of her way to explain things and make sure you get to decide what happens and how. She is also upfront with what will work and what will not and seems to be knowledgeable about treatment options
Be honest with your expectations and what it is you want
She was very straight forward with expectations and her thoughts on treatment options but still let me choose what I wanted or what I thought was best
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy craw)
Always there for any help or questions you have
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is good everyone seems to care about you as a person, the only thing that I didn't like was that if you are a little behind on your account you can't go forward with treatments. I understand in some sense bc most treatment after insurance even leave you with a 500 dollar bill bc fertility treatments aren't cheap but it makes you feel like more depressed when you want something so bad and always seems to be an obstacle
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
I've spent thousands so far and can't get my ivf right now bc I can't afford the meds another 1200 out of pocket per cycle of ivf if first doesn't work
Providence

Dr. Kim Thornton was easy to communicate with, was very knowledgeable and adjusted the course of treatment based on my timeline, needs and insurance restrictions. She treated me like a person and was easy to talk to...We are only allowed to transfer one embryo at a time based on my age and insurance restrictions. Dr. Thornton is passionate that multiple embryos lead to a more high risk pregnancy for the mom and baby.
[Boston IVF is a] Very professional and well-known clinic. All staff members were very knowledgeable and easy to work with. Clinic can feel a little commercial at times and less personable than smaller clinics but you cannot argue with their results...My assigned nurse was easy to communicate with and returned phone calls promptly...We are only allowed to transfer one embryo at a time based on my age and insurance restrictions. Dr. Thornton is passionate that multiple embryos lead to a more high risk pregnancy for the mom and baby.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Dr. Kim Thornton is very experienced and has a lot of practice treating infertility issues.
Every visit I have had Dr. Thorton has been very well prepared and it was clear that she took the time to review my file and my situation prior to the appointment.
We had already had frozen eggs being stored so the treatment protocol was fairly straight forward. She put me on birth control for 6-8 weeks to regulate my cycles and finish testing. When that was completed we started estrogen patches and pills. The next step is an ultrasound and blood work and depending on the outcome we will be discussing the transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
Most of my procedures have been covered by my insurance minus my co-pay and out of pocket expenses. Costs of treatments vary.
Describe Kim L. Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Berger has a great reputation. People are going to continue to see him because they *have to* however, it would make the patients life and experience better if we were treated more like humans vs. a number....Only communicates when it's required by insurance. After 5 IVF cycles with him, I did not even receive a "congratulations" after becoming pregnant and "graduating" the clinic....maximum stimulation medication on 3 fresh cycles and 1 frozen cycle. My last and successful (with twins) cycle
People will go here [Boston IVF- South Shore] because they have to. Convenience plays a huge factor in IVF treatments, especially when you go for daily ultrasounds and blood work. However, they have a huge opportunity to be more personable and improve the experience for the patient....You have no set nurse. It wasn't always this way as I have been a patient since 2012. I have had nurses mis-calculate my cycle and miss medications. Nurses are not personable and you are just a number to them.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He's good at what he does however don't expect him to be personable.
maximum stimulation medication on 3 fresh cycles and 1 frozen cycle. My last and successful (with twins) cycle was when I brought up going on lovenox for unexplained miscarriage. This was the cycle that worked. We did 3 fresh and 2 frozen in total with Dr. Berger.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nurse of the day? You have no set nurse. It wasn't always this way as I have been a patient since 2012. I have had nurses mis-calculate my cycle and miss medications. Nurses are not personable and you are just a number to them.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
People will go here because they have to. Convenience plays a huge factor in IVF treatments, especially when you go for daily ultrasounds and blood work. However, they have a huge opportunity to be more personable and improve the experience for the patient.
We have always transferred 2 embryos except one time we only had one. Dr. Berger was fine with it given my history.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I have had a nurse miscalculate my cycle, communicating the wrong start date for medication. I have had to call back multiple times to schedule or change appointments.