Merle Berger

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

Dr. Thornton was kind and somewhat compassionate. If I was down about a high FSH she reminded me it wasn't that high (11). She is straight to the point though, she isn't really going to coddle you. After my first round of treatment only resulted in 2 dominant follicles and I was converted to an IUI, she asked me if I ever considered donor eggs. I was really disappointed that was discussed so quickly, but she was being real with me I guess. She agreed to change the protocol and move forward if I only had one follicle next time. Unfortunately that cycle was cancelled when they went in to retrieve and found no follicles, they assume I prematurely ovulated.
Boston IVF has its good and its bad points. They service a TON of patients and its easy to get lost in the shuffle, but I do feel the nurses and staff in Waltham care about the patients and want us to succeed. The downside to the high volume is not getting much for personal care because your doctor is too busy to really be adjusting protocols or meeting with you personally. I also didn't love that they aren't much into research... other websites for clinics have studies and videos and information for patients. I felt like Boston IVF was like the Costco of reproduction, and you are fortunate to be successful if you have only a small issue to work through or try enough times. Anyone with specific issues that need special attention or outside the box thinking would probably do better elsewhere.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Be prepared going in. Dr. Thornton goes over things for sure, but there is a lot of information out there and questions you should be asking of any doctor. If she hesitates on proceeding, keep in mind that it is your choice and your body and don't give up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
My husband and I met with Dr. Thornton once, and I met with her once alone. She was always very nice and explained things in a way my husband liked, as her undergrad is in chemical engineering as is his. She seemed confident that I would be successful, and she explained the process well with pictures, etc. However, past those meetings I have felt like any other patient being pushed through the clinic. Three times a nurse told me to take a medication I didn't have (the insurance sometimes sends Cetritide but I had Ganirelix, and the insurance sometimes sends Gonal F, but I had Follistim) so it felt like no one was even reading my chart before speaking to me. After my second fail (premature ovulation prior to retrieval) I didn't receive a follow up call from the clinic to schedule a follow-up and next steps. I don't know if Dr. Thornton cares if I come back to Boston IVF ever, she likely has enough other 'numbers' to deal with.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Cycle 1 - Day 3 start, 450 iu Follistim, low dose HCG; Day 5 Ganirelix, up to 600 iu Follistim, low dose HCG. One decent follicle, one smaller - converted to IUI. Ovidrel shot. BFN Cycle 2 - Ganirelix and Estrogen patch prior to cycle start, Day 3 450 iu Follistim, 150 iu Menupur; Day 9 Ganirelix, Follistim same, and Menupur same. Day 11 had two dominant follicles and some smaller ones starting. Pregnyl shot, retrieval 36 hours later showed no follicles. Was instructed to go home and have sex (not sure why they didn't do an IUI at that point)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
I was so very NOT a fan of Dawn (Worcester office only) that I asked to be switched to a nurse out of the Waltham office. She lacks compassion as well as a knowledge of what she should say to a patient vs. what the doctor should be communicating. Abbey and Sonya (Dr. Thornton's other nurses) in Waltham are excellent though. The nursing staff in Waltham overall has been incredible - everyone you meet from the time you walk in, get blood taken, ultrasound, checked in for surgery, etc - they are SOOOOO great. They see your eyes start to tear and they always have tissues. I had to visit Waltham on Mothers Day for an ultrasound and they had a big bucket of roses and a sign that said "thinking of you all today and everyday" and I lost it. So touching. They are A+++++. In Waltham.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
Pretty much 100% insurance paid after deductible. I think we paid $150 for one medication through Village Pharmacy. My scripts cost me a small co-pay (like $30) but the 'real' price was $15,000 just for the drugs! Phew!
Worcester

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
I wasn’t getting the results I needed to [with Dr. Rita Sneeringer], so we added HGH and I finally got an embryo to transfer (has not been transferred yet)...was always warm and welcoming when I saw her. She was up to date on my case and if she wasn’t sure about something she takes the time to look through my chart to make sure she provides an appropriate answer... When I wasn’t getting the results I wanted, and I did some research, I made suggestions and although my clinic mostly didn’t use the medicine I was suggesting to try, she was willing to go outside the box and try something different.
There was miscommunication on the new protocol since it was an “out of the box” medication I was using, the nurses [at Boston IVF] weren’t used to calling it in to the pharmacy and prescribing it. So we had to wait another cycle to get things in order...The clinic as an overall has been great. The retrieval process has been amazing, they’ve always made sure I am comfortable with warm blankets, heating pads, nausea meds, etc. Generally you need to book appointments far ahead with the doctors as they fill up pretty quickly, even for post-op appointments.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer put me on a pretty popular protocol that I had been on before. When I wasn’t getting the results I wanted, and I did some research, I made suggestions and although my clinic mostly didn’t use the medicine I was suggesting to try, she was willing to go outside the box and try something different. She has always been warm and kind at our appointments and I have never once felt rushed which is a huge difference from a previous clinic I was at.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Ask questions. Do your research and if you want to try something new, ask, she is very open to experimenting with different protocols if you aren’t getting where you want to be.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer was always warm and welcoming when I saw her. She was up to date on my case and if she wasn’t sure about something she takes the time to look through my chart to make sure she provides an appropriate answer.
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I used BCP, gonalf f, menopur, cetrotide and HGH trigger. I wasn’t getting the results I needed to, so we added HGH and I finally got an embryo to transfer (has not been transferred yet).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
There was one nursing staff that seemed very harsh and not compassionate at all. Obviously it was hard to deal with her. However there was another nurse that couldn’t be nicer and always put in all the effort she could to get you the answers you need and make sure you understood everything.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
The cost was mostly covered by insurance except for PGS and ICSI if we wanted to use it. We chose to do PGS but not ICSI.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
There was miscommunication on the new protocol since it was an “out of the box” medication I was using, the nurses weren’t used to calling it in to the pharmacy and prescribing it. So we had to wait another cycle to get things in order.
Rita Sneeringer
Stoneham

My doctor [Dr. Kuohung] recommended transferring all 4 of my embryos which made me slightly nervous, but since none resulted in pregnancy it was likely the right choice. I appreciated her not taking too conservative an approach... was always warm and respectful and took the time to answer my questions and talk with me in an unhurried way. She was always sensitive to the various physical and emotional issues that arose.
The nurses [at Boston IVF] were friendly and efficient. The clinic sometimes had an assembly line feel but I really appreciated their efficiency...I was almost always surprised how quickly they got me through my testing. My experiences there were always pleasant as I could expect. I appreciated the ease of parking as well... I responded well to this protocol and we were able to retrieve far more eggs than expected. After retrieval, Dr Kuohung decided to use a freeze-all protocol since my progesterone levels were high. I did some research on this protocol and leaned that it was considered to be very effective since the freezing technology has improved, specifically for women with high progesterone levels before retrieval.
How was your experience with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Dr Kuohung struck a really good balance between maintaining a positive outlook while acknowledging the realities we faced. One of the things I appreciated most about Dr Kuohung was her willingness to answer all of my questions thoroughly and patiently. At several points throughout treatment, she helped my partner and I to identify the pros and cons of each option, referred to current research, and clarified her explanations for us when we had trouble grasping some of the scientific concepts that were unfamiliar to us. In deciding how many embryos to transfer, she was able to state her recommendation and rationale clearly, and also able to take into account our feelings about each option. I really appreciated her ability to balance her professional expertise with consideration for our opinions and priorities.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
When I began my IVF treatment, I was not familiar with many of the concepts and terms that need to be discussed. Dr kuohung did a very good job explaining much of this to me in an accessible manner, but I was still left feeling that I wanted a better understanding. Once I learned more of the terms I found it easier to understand our conversations. Having a better understanding of the background medical concepts made me feel more able to be an active agent in my treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Dr. Kuohung was always warm and respectful and took the time to answer my questions and talk with me in an unhurried way. She was always sensitive to the various physical and emotional issues that arose.
Describe the protocols Wendy Kuohung used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I don’t remember the specific stimulation protocol we used but I know we chose it with the assumption that Iould be a poor responder due to my age. I responded well to this protocol and we were able to retrieve far more eggs than expected. After retrieval, Dr Kuohung decided to use a freeze-all protocol since my progesterone levels were high. I did some research on this protocol and leaned that it was considered to be very effective since the freezing technology has improved, specifically for women with high progesterone levels before retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were friendly and efficient. The clinic sometimes had an assembly line feel but I really appreciated their efficiency.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic was visually pleasant, nurses were friendly and efficient and I was almost always surprised how quickly they got me through my testing. My experiences there were always pleasant as I could expect. I appreciated the ease of parking as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF.
My treatment for this cycle was covered by insurance.
Describe Wendy Kuohung's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
My doctor recommended transferring all 4 of my embryos which made me slightly nervous, but since none resulted in pregnancy it was likely the right choice. I appreciated her not taking too conservative an approach
Wendy Kuohung
Waltham

I heard very little from the doctor [Dr. Brian Berger]. It was nearly impossible to directly ask him any questions, they were all answered by the nurses...He’s very intelligent and seemed to have reviewed my chart thoroughly. He wasn’t always the most optimistic though- he was frank and honest. He didn’t seem to think outside the box at all though or try to come up with solutions for my unique situation. He was also always running hours late for his appts.
IVF cycle cost was $14,500, with PGS costing additional $3500 +/- depending on how many embryos were tested, plus the cost of medications ($4000) [at Boston IVF]...The doctor doing the transfer I did not know and until we arrived at the office we didn’t know how many embryos we had left. Then, in a split second they told us we had 2 but never offered us the option of transferring both. After, they said they always recommend transferring only 1 the first cycle.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Schedule your appts with him WAY in advance and try to coordinate so that HE is actually performing your procedures (retrival and transfers).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I heard very little from the doctor. It was nearly impossible to directly ask him any questions, they were all answered by the nurses. There were different nurses calling you all the time and almost never the same ones. None of them knew my particular situation completely. Whenever you called to ask a question, you always had to leave a voice mail and then the call had to be returned which made it difficult to get answers if you weren’t always available to answer your phone. This made it difficult to get answers and speak to an actual person about your questions.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
He used Estradiol tablets at the end of your previous cycle for a week before your period. Then started Gonal-F on day 3, and then added low dose HCG after the first blood draw and U/S, followed by Cetrotide or Ganirilix for ovulation suppression. Then used Ovidrel for trigger. Followed by Crinone gel post transfer until blood test, 2 weeks after the transfer. I retrieved 13 eggs the first cycle, and 5 fertilized. By day 5 we had 1 embryo left to transfer. I became pregnant, but on U/S at 6 weeks, there was no fetus present and it was considered a blighted ovum. He recommended a D&C and sent the contents for genetic analysis to look for chromosomal abnormalities. We discovered the embryo had trisomy 16 and therefore was linked to miscarriage. The second cycle we retired 9 eggs after starting with a higher dose of gonal-F and using the same meds as prior. This time we only had 1 egg fertilize and transfered it on day 3, which was unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were often not well educated and very dismissive of any concerns I had about the last
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It takes many weeks to schedule an appt so schedule early! They are capable of working with out of town patients and doing phone appts as well. They have multiple locations of offices for different doctors so be aware of that. The main office is in Waltham where they do all the retrievals and transfers, but they also have other smaller offices.
I did my monitoring appts at Albany IVF
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Because I’m an out of town patient, I had to drive in on the day 5, with the potential plan of doing a transfer, not knowing if we had any embryos left. Someone was supposed to cal be first thing in the morning (the embryologist or nurse, or someone!) to let us know if we should still proceed in or stay home. No one called us as planned! We finally were able to speak with someone when we were almost already there. Then no one would tell us the results until we were in the transfer room and ready for the procedure- legs in the air and all kind of situation. We had very little time to digest the information before the transfer just happened!
Boston

[Dr. Isaac Glasteing is a] Very knowledgeable doctor who wants to find out what the problem is, come up with the best plan accordingly for a positive outcome. He is very facts and stats mind set. He answered all of our questions without making us feel overwhelmed.
They [IVF New England- Lexington] are hard to get ahold of. They primary nurse you speak to us good he was super helpful and didn’t make you feel like you should know all of this brand new information and drugs. The nurses you see daily however really could use a reminder that they are there to be apart of a beautiful experience. Very negative interactions. Horrible at drawing blood.
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
If you want the best doctor to get you a positive outcome he’s your doctor. If you’re looking for a bit more of handholding he’s not for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
I felt he was very “matter a fact “. Which did work for us. We didn’t need to be coddled. We knew what was wrong and we wanted the facts of how we were going to fix it.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Feel like with how much you interact with the nurses this is where I thought patents would get more compassion. You see them daily. They should be more friendly. I can’t tell you how many blood draws I’d go in where the nurse smelt of fresh smoked cigarettes. It was disgusting yet here she is trying to draw blood. Also, they 100% need more training on how to actually draw blood. I left there covered in bruises every single time.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They are hard to get ahold of. They primary nurse you speak to us good he was super helpful and didn’t make you feel like you should know all of this brand new information and drugs. The nurses you see daily however really could use a reminder that they are there to be apart of a beautiful experience. Very negative interactions. Horrible at drawing blood.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
There was a lack of communication during our egg retrieval. No one informed us of over stimulation. They just kept saying the odds were so slim. However I ended up in the hospital for a week due to being overstimulated. Which resulted in cancelling the fresh transfer and waiting months to get a frozen transfer. I understand things happen. But I wish I had more support after this did happen also wish I had more information.
Isaac Glatstein
Lexington

Dr Berger helped me contact my OB, who was able to schedule a few tests and have it covered by my insurance under her care...is thorough, precise, kind, welcoming. He does not sugar coat anything, but he is also very gentle and sympathetic. He gets right down to the details right away and let’s you know exactly what’s going on. He has had to deliver a lot of bad news to us, specifically insurance denying us coverage, so he told us straight up but he always ALWAYS makes sure he takes time to let us voice our concerns, ask questions, cry, vent, and he lets us know our options with each step. He also lets us see the bright side of everything and let’s us know that we are not out of options.
These women [nurses at Boston IVF] were AMAZING!!!...Every single person in their offices are wonderful. Gentle, kind, compassionate, funny, empathetic, sympathetic. Some will tell you their personal stories so you don’t feel alone. Some will tell you success stories so you keep on hoping and praying. They will hand you tissues, let you cry...If you go for blood work, they will tell you what to expect. “We are gonna draw a lot today. How are you feeling about that?” They will ask if you’re comfortable, if you need anything, and always with a smile on their faces. The staff really is amazing.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr Berger is a little intimidating at first. He will straight up tell you the bad stuff first, that treatment didn’t work, that insurance is denying treatment, that sperm counts are low. That’s exactly what has happened with my husband and I. But then, he walks us through the next steps, options, discusses everything with us and explains it all. He makes sure that we have enough time to really process and understand what news he just gave is and he answers every question to the best of his ability, or makes sure his staff gets us the answers we need. Afterwards, he always puts a positive spin on the appointment. He tells us the best possible ideas of what he wants to try next and he’s compassionate when he is discussing this all. We have been devastated at some of the news he has given us, but he always tells us there’s other ways and that we shouldn’t give up. He is extremely informative, knows the best way to treat each patient or couple, starts with the most direct treatment that will give that patient the best possible outcome. But he also is compassionate and understanding and sympathetic when it doesn’t work. And then he’s positive that there will be another way! He’s a great doctor!
Take your time before your appointment to figure out what questions you’d like answers to, big or small. This whole process is overwhelming, and I don’t think any of us really know what to expect. Dr. Berger will take the time to listen to every concern and answer every question you have. And he does it with a positive outlook, an open mind, and a caring heart.
Dr Berger is thorough, precise, kind, welcoming. He does not sugar coat anything, but he is also very gentle and sympathetic. He gets right down to the details right away and let’s you know exactly what’s going on. He has had to deliver a lot of bad news to us, specifically insurance denying us coverage, so he told us straight up but he always ALWAYS makes sure he takes time to let us voice our concerns, ask questions, cry, vent, and he lets us know our options with each step. He also lets us see the bright side of everything and let’s us know that we are not out of options.
Dr Berger first started me out with day 3 and day 21 blood tests to make sure my cycle was “normal”. He then scheduled me for an HSG, which is a procedure where an OB checked my uterus and Fallopian tubes for any blockages. He then started me on Clomid for a cycle. He wanted to make sure everything within me was working and in good shape. He also had my husband produce a few semen samples within this time to monitor his sperm. Once we knew that my reproductive system was working well, and that my husband did have healthy sperm, Dr Berger wanted to move forward with IVF. Unfortunately, our insurance will not cover it. So we are now discussing our options and praying that a miracle happens.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
These women were AMAZING!!! Believe me, if I could, I would take each one of them home and cook a huge meal for them and pamper them with lots of treats! Every single person in their offices are wonderful. Gentle, kind, compassionate, funny, empathetic, sympathetic. Some will tell you their personal stories so you don’t feel alone. Some will tell you success stories so you keep on hoping and praying. They will hand you tissues, let you cry. They are so incredibly gentle in every way, yet thorough and make sure everything is done exactly how it needs to be done. They walk you through every step so you’re not so scared, and they will hold your hand if you still are scared. When you are there, it truly feels like everyone is a friend.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
There are a lot of steps in this fertility thing. The staff always makes sure you know how the process will work and walks (and talks) you through every little and big step. If you go for blood work, they will tell you what to expect. “We are gonna draw a lot today. How are you feeling about that?” They will ask if you’re comfortable, if you need anything, and always with a smile on their faces. The staff really is amazing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
In the beginning, nothing was covered by my insurance. But Dr Berger helped me contact my OB, who was able to schedule a few tests and have it covered by my insurance under her care. Then, the staff at Boston IVF helped me change to an insurance company that would most likely cover everything else. Most of my “stuff” in office was covered after that, dr visits, medications, blood work, urine tests, etc. we only had to pay our copay. Dr Berger did discuss with us the costs of IUI and IVF but since insurance denied those, we are still trying to figure out what our next steps are.
South Shore

She [Dr. Kristen Wright] is straight and to the point but not rude...She answers all your questions, no matter how crazy or outlandish you think those questions are and whether or not those should be potential concerns for you...Don't expect warm and fuzzy because you won't get it...I responded well but of the 22 eggs, only 12 were mature. I was put on cabergoline for 7 days to minimize OHSS. The second ER i was on the same injections but different amounts to yield more mature eggs which I did, and after transfer I was put on patches and crinone again.
Very personable staff [at IVF New England]...I always scheduled my appointments between 7a and 8a so that I didnt have to take time from work...Clean, organized, great time management, never waited too long to be seen in the waiting room...The nursing staff was always available and always answered my questions and call backs were always same day. Any worries or concerns were always addressed.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr. Wright is a great at communicator regarding test results, what to expect from those results and what realistic expectations should be. I never did any of my procedures with her, but she did manage my protocols and did all of my follow ups. This wasn't as important to me because I didn't know what to expect from IVF to begin with. When my first retrieval yielded poor results, she called me personally to let me know (and on a weekend). She adjusted my protocol for the second retrieval and was able to yield more mature eggs for fertilization which results in five embryos. I am currently 32 weeks pregnant with one of those embryos. I have recommended Dr. Wright to a friend of mine and she is currently under her care and loves her. Dr. Wright is not what I would consider "warm and fuzzy" but she is certainly professional, respectful and candid. I personally prefer this over "sugar coating" or someone trying to be my best friend. She knows what shes doing and I cannot elaborate enough on how much I like her as my RE, but also as a person.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Don't expect warm and fuzzy because you won't get it. She is straight and to the point but not rude. For me, knowing what you are dealing with, with IVF and infertility, it is better to know the details, the truth and all the facts surrounding your diagnosis and protocol, rather than someone who is "just nice". She answers all your questions, no matter how crazy or outlandish you think those questions are and whether or not those should be potential concerns for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
I was always treated with respect, honesty, and professionalism. My concerns were heard and my questions were answered. I never had to ask more than once for information or for further explanation if needed.
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I was on menopur, gonal f, cetrotide injections and estradiol patches and crinone for the first egg retrieval. I responded well but of the 22 eggs, only 12 were mature. I was put on cabergoline for 7 days to minimize OHSS. The second ER i was on the same injections but different amounts to yield more mature eggs which I did, and after transfer I was put on patches and crinone again. The third transfer was a frozen cycle so instead of supposetories I was put on progesterone in oil shots until 10 weeks of pregnancy with patches.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clean, organized, great time management, never waited too long to be seen in the waiting room. Very personable staff. Weakness would be how difficult it is to contact Boston IVF Lexington when you are running late for your appointment. I always scheduled my appointments between 7a and 8a so that I didnt have to take time from work. It is impossible to get them on the phone that early. I would suggest giving patients a phone line they can call when they are running late or need to cancel, instead of talking to the answering service because there are people there from 6a.
I have no complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.
Due to my insurance coverage, we paid $500 deductible and everything else was covered. I believe my insurance was billed $8,900 for each cycle. We paid our co-pays for all medications which was less than $300 for the first and second cycles (egg retrievals) and about $30 for the meds for FET.
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I have no comments other than because of my age (31), my insurance dictated what I could transfer. When I told her i wanted to transfer two embryos for my third cycle, she was receptive and we did discuss the complications of a twin pregnancy. We went forward and did a two embryo frozen transfer, and luckily we did because only one of those embryos took.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
After my seven week ultrasound, my OB-GYN office at the 11 week appointment still had not received any of my paperwork from IVFNE. I was told it would be sent within 7-10 business days, but it did not make it there in that time frame. I still don't know if they got it because I never followed up.
North Chelmsford

They're [the nurses at Boston IVF- Stoneham] great. Anytime that I called and had to leave a vm they got right back to me even though their message says 24 hours. In all the 30+ times I called they got back to me within an hour. Even after hours and on weekends. They're very organized and tell you exactly what the expectations are. It's a little intimidating at first because they present it like a secret mission, but they're simply being detailed and clear.
How was your experience with Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
My overall experience was great. This process can be overwhelming what with the terms, meds, options & possible change in protocol. Dr. Cardone explained everything in a manner that we could understand, a third grade level was was helpful. When my first IUI failed he changed things up a bit. When the second one did, his team called me the same day to share that Dr. Cardone already had my IVF treatment plan in place. He was pro active about it. When my husband presented with a sudden worry about embryo distraction, Dr. Cardone saw us the same week to walk us through the issue. (Due to my age it wasn't actually an issue for us). Dr. Cardone always kept us informed and educated. No question was foolish. For that we are grateful and for that we didn't ever question his plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
I would say that they shouldn't fear ever being treated like a question was foolish or that they were overreacting. That was always my fear as I was so uneducated about infertility. Dr. Cardone and his team are very skilled at what they do & are great with customer service.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Vito Cardone at Boston IVF?
Dr. Cardone was very kind yet honest about the obstacles we could face. However, he also had a 'can do' attitude, and made us feel that our obstacles were manageable with some creativity & knowhow.
Describe the protocols Vito Cardone used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We started with IUI as it was least invasive. Also, I think that my ins required two failed before moving to IVF so we had no choice. (Not any fault of Dr. Cardone, but I felt that I was up against a clock as I was in the final few months of my 39th year. At 40 ins coverage is complicated). I have 2 embryos on ice and start about 15 days of prep on Oct 2 to get those little things back in me.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They're great. Anytime that I called and had to leave a vm they got right back to me even though their message says 24 hours. In all the 30+ times I called they got back to me within an hour. Even after hours and on weekends. They're very organized and tell you exactly what the expectations are. It's a little intimidating at first because they present it like a secret mission, but they're simply being detailed and clear.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think it could use a little interior design support. Although we're not going not for the decore, a little more of a welcoming astetically pleasing environment is great. They're efficient and that's what counts.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Vito Cardone at Boston IVF.
Co pay, some of meds.
Describe Vito Cardone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I trust his judgement implicitly.
Vito Cardone
Stoneham

Dr.Penzias was always incredibly respectful and took his time explaining everything to us. He is very detailed and will share endless reports, graphs, charts, studies with you if you want to hear how he makes his decisions with your care. He has a clear passion for what he does and seems genuinely happy for you when you achieve the family you want.... The third cycle I asked if we had atleast two strong embryos we could transfer both and he was fully on board.
Boston IVF is incredible organized. Each doctor has a full team that follows their patients care. The only difficulty I ever had was dealing with the folks talking with insurance. I had the sense that the REs all communicate and share the most recent studies with each other and that our care was always based on the latest well respected studies.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Feel comfortable questioning his choices as he is a wealth of information and will walk you through it all!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr.Penzias treated my husband and I like humans, not a number. We were always greeted by a smile, he always listened to our questions and fought hard for us when insurance thought we were not good candidates for using my own eggs. He never gave up and made sure we knew not to give up.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sara Tanner)
Sarah Tanner was incredible. She was upbeat, clear with instructions, greeted us with a hug like we became family and was genuinely thrilled for us when we were able to start our family.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
I am incredibly fortunate to live in a state that my healthcare covers much of the expenses of my IVF. I only have minimal copays for the medications and treatments/procedures.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
The first two rounds we did single embryo transfers and any remaining never made it to freeze. The third cycle I asked if we had atleast two strong embryos we could transfer both and he was fully on board. I ended up successfully having two beautiful daughters from that cycle and am currently pregnant with one from the one remaining frozen embryo we had from our 3rd cycle.

2013 - 2018, Successful
My husband's sperms motility was low which is why we started with IUI [with Dr. Carla DiGirolamo]...answered all of my questions and I never felt rushed. She has so much compassion and knowledge that my husband and I trust her implicitly...I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Digirolomo. She gave me a beautiful daughter, and now my husband and I are trusting her again with an IVF cycle. She is the most compassionate woman who is solid with her knowledge of fertility treatments and all of the above. She rocks!
I never felt guilty or uncomfortable asking questions or calling back for clarification because I was never made to feel like that [at Boston IVF]...Bryna is a wonderful nurse. I absolutely love talking to her...The staff are excellent and are always very nice...Patients like the flexibility to have lab work done early but if they run into problems (paperwork not faxed) there isn't a way to reach anyone. That has happened to me more than once and it's very frustrating especially when you are having timed blood work and ultrasounds.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Be patient and ask lots of questions. I never felt guilty or uncomfortable asking questions or calling back for clarification because I was never made to feel like that. They want you to have the tools and knowledge to make decisions and going to Boston IVF has been the best decision for my family.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr. D answered all of my questions and I never felt rushed. She has so much compassion and knowledge that my husband and I trust her implicitly.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I started with IUI and we were ecstatic to find out that it took on the second cycle without medication. My husband's sperms motility was low which is why we started with IUI. We waited a few years, dealt with a job loss and a stressful moment in our lives but got back on the horse so to speak. I have had a couple of setbacks and will be going to have a polyp removed to start IVF, but I couldn't be more thankful to have Dr. D and her team helping me through it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bryna)
Bryna is a wonderful nurse. I absolutely love talking to her.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The staff are excellent and are always very nice. The two things I would recommend are to have a direct number for the team and have the main number go on before 9 am. Patients like the flexibility to have lab work done early but if they run into problems (paperwork not faxed) there isn't a way to reach anyone. That has happened to me more than once and it's very frustrating especially when you are having timed blood work and ultrasounds.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
We had it covered by insurance.
Carla DiGirolamo
Boston

Dr Wright will do everything to get you there...2nd embryo transfer I got a stitch put in my cervix to help straighten it during the transfer. It worked perfectly and the transfer went more smoothly. I have 2 curves and it’s been hard at time to get the catheter in...The stitch in the my cervix was such a simple procedure I just wish it had been brought up earlier...has always taken the time to go over things each cycle or to try something new. We’ve had in person consults as well as phone consults so we wouldn’t have to wait.
The nurses [at IVF New England] were always wonderful. We had many over our visits and they were always warm and caring and helpful...It was expensive but the billing was always willing to try to get insurance to cover things...The strengths are the staff in general. They are all caring and you Know they want you succeed. The only weakness is that you don’t always get your doctor and usually a different nurse each time. While each doctor is great they don’t always know your whole story and that can be hard
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr Wright knows her stuff and she will always tell you how it is. She will break all the info down and help you understand. Having her as the one doing the procedure always made it easier. I’ve had bad experiences with iuis and embryo transfers. But the one I had with Dr Wright was the most comfortable. All together using my obgyn and Boston Ivf I’ve had 8 iuis and two embryo transfers using my wife’s embryos. None have been successful and I was thinking of giving up. My last embryo transfer I was sure it was my last try but Dr Wright changed things up and made the experience less painful and quick. While it wasn’t a success it made me rethink quitting. We’ve already come up with two alternate plans when I’m ready to restart next year.
It’s hard work to get pregnant. But Dr Wright will do everything to get you there. It can be frustrating and scary at times, but I feel you can really put your trust in Dr Wright. It was a lot of struggle for us but we have our beautiful son.
My wife and I both saw Dr Wright to try and get pregnant. My wife has gotten pregnant and gave birth, while I’m still trying. Dr Wright has always taken the time to go over things each cycle or to try something new. We’ve had in person consults as well as phone consults so we wouldn’t have to wait.
One iui cycle was with clomid 50mg for 5 days. Ovidrel 250 mcg 2nd iui: gonal f 50 iu Ovidrel 250 mcg Endometrin 100mg Embryo transfers: estradiol mg Estradiol patches .1 mg Progesterone 1 ml 2nd embryo transfer I got a stitch put in my cervix to help straighten it during the transfer. It worked perfectly and the transfer went more smoothly. I have 2 curves and it’s been hard at time to get the catheter in.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were always wonderful. We had many over our visits and they were always warm and caring and helpful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Unfortunately our insurance didn’t cover much. It was expensive but the billing was always willing to try to get insurance to cover things
Lexington

I can't say enough about how fantastic Dr. Pauli is. He is thorough and honest in his explanations of options for me and chances of success. He is creative and thoughtful in his approach to my treatment. He listens to my concerns and questions and I never feel talked down to. He's been invaluable in navigating this process, and I trust him implicitly...explains things honestly, realistically and thoughtfully. He is warm and genuine, and I feel very comfortable asking any questions I have.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Ask any questions you have, anytime. Dr Pauli will answer them honestly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr Pauli explains things honestly, realistically and thoughtfully. He is warm and genuine, and I feel very comfortable asking any questions I have.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We used a microdose lupron flare protocol. We primed with estrogen (2 mg tabs morning/evening) from Day 21 of my previous cycle until my current cycle started. 10 units MDLupron starting the evening of my suppression check, and morning/evening thereafter. Follastim 300 units morning/evening starting on cycle day 4. We've retrieved varying numbers of eggs (anywhere from 4-7 per cycle) and anywhere from 2-4 have fertilized each cycle. I'm older (42) so getting eggs to develop to Day 5 was a problem for the first 2 cycles. This past cycle we did a fresh 3 day transfer of the 2 fertilized eggs we had, but it was not successful. We're trying a similar cycle now, and will again do a fresh transfer with any fertilized eggs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses I speak with regularly (Brittany, Nikki, Sherice) are great. They're knowledgeable about my protocol, and promptly return any calls answering questions I have.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I go to the Boston IVF location in Lexington for bloodwork, ultrasounds, and my appointments with Dr. Pauli. The appointments run on time, the nurses and ultrasound technicians are knowledgeable and happily answer all of my questions. I go to Boston IVF location in Waltham for my egg retrievals and transfers. Everything's been good there as well, I've had no issues. Appointments run on time, doctors performing the retrievals and transfers have been thorough with their explanations. No complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Most was covered under my health insurance (thankfully). We didn't end up using PGS testing, but that would be an out of pocket cost, as would using frozen donor eggs.
Describe Samuel Pauli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We are doing a multiple embryo transfer, as I'm older and my egg quality hasn't been great. Dr Pauli felt that would give us the best chance of getting pregnant.
Lexington

He [Dr. Brain Berger] is confident and has alot of experience with diminished ovarian reserve. However, his choice of protocols began to feel cookie-cutter, as he was not receptive to changing up the protocols for us, even after 4 IVF cycles with no pregnancy...Don't expect to see him face to face very much. But he does review all of his patients monitoring results himself, and makes the recommendations via his nurses.
[Boston IVF is] big and you begin to fee like a number. Your primary doctor will not always be the one doing your egg retrievals or transfers. You have to be comfortable with other RE's doing your procedures. For the procedures, you have to travel to Waltham, which may be farther than your home clinic...We never had any problems with the nursing staff at BIVF. I also emailed Catherine with questions and she was prompt at getting back to me via email, and phone calls.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He is confident and has alot of experience with diminished ovarian reserve. However, his choice of protocols began to feel cookie-cutter, as he was not receptive to changing up the protocols for us, even after 4 IVF cycles with no pregnancy.
Many people feel that Dr. Berger comes across as arrogant, this didn't bother me very much, so long as he was confident in what he was doing. Which he wa. He always treated us with honesty and was straight-forward.
He recommended the estrogen priming antagonist protocol for me every time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Catherine Lamb)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It's big and you begin to fee like a number. Your primary doctor will not always be the one doing your egg retrievals or transfers. You have to be comfortable with other RE's doing your procedures. For the procedures, you have to travel to Waltham, which may be farther than your home clinic.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
They gave you times, but it was mostly a first-come, first-serve basis, which I liked.
Just co-pays
He did not have a strong preference as to the number of embryos transfered; however, if at day 3 he felt like you may lose some at day 4 or 5, he recommends transfering 2, for example, on day 3.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
On the day of a transfer, I found out Dr. Berger decided to transfer 2 embryos instead of 1 without letting us know prior.
South Shore

I'm glad that my husband and I trusted our gut instinct about what was best for us, and appreciated that Dr. Thornton and her team were flexible and supportive of our decision. ... What I can say is that in my initial consultation, Dr. Thornton gave me a lot of reassurance that treatment could work for us, got me started on treatment right away as I had hoped, and explained what she would recommend for us and why very thoroughly.
It did at times feel a bit like a baby factory with so many people coming in and out, but again, that seems expected when you choose a larger practice. I only had one procedure done at the clinic, with a few rounds of lab work, so my experiences are somewhat limited, but I had no complaints. ... However, given the sheer size of Boston IVF, it was hard to not feel a bit like a number during my actual treatment cycles, since there were so many women at the Waltham location for labs/treatments/etc.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I was only a patient for a few months as my second treatment cycle was successful, so I can't comment on some of the questions like how compassionate Dr. Thornton is or how willing to change treatment course she is -- those didn't come up during our treatment course. What I can say is that in my initial consultation, Dr. Thornton gave me a lot of reassurance that treatment could work for us, got me started on treatment right away as I had hoped, and explained what she would recommend for us and why very thoroughly. I ultimately had positive results after just two months and am forever grateful.
I would recommend advocating for yourself and what you feel is the best for you. Dr. Thornton recommended that we do letrozole + IUI, which did not work during our first month of treatment. I was concerned that the timing of the IUI the first month could have been a bit off and that that could have caused the unsuccessful cycle (we did not use a trigger or do any monitoring). As a result, for our second cycle, I felt strongly that I wanted to try letrozole + timed intercourse instead of the IUI, and expressed that to Dr. Thornton and her team. They were supportive of this change, and that was the month that we were successful. I'm glad that my husband and I trusted our gut instinct about what was best for us, and appreciated that Dr. Thornton and her team were flexible and supportive of our decision.
During my one-on-one consultation with Dr. Thornton, I very much felt treated like a human and was able to ask all of the questions I had. I felt she addressed my concerns adequately and gave me reassurance about beginning treatment. However, given the sheer size of Boston IVF, it was hard to not feel a bit like a number during my actual treatment cycles, since there were so many women at the Waltham location for labs/treatments/etc. I don't fault Dr. Thornton for this but rather feel it is almost inevitable when selecting a large fertility treatment center.
Both cycles, I took letrozole (I believe the dose was 7.5ish?) CD3-7. This was to help me ovulate strong eggs, and ideally more than 1 to help increase our chances of success. Our first cycle, I had an IUI performed. I was told to test with OPKs every morning before noon starting at CD 15. Once I had a positive test, I was to call and schedule my IUI for the next morning, and my husband would go in and drop off a fresh sample. We did this one time and were unsuccessful. Our second cycle, we used the same letrozole protocol but had timed intercourse once I began testing positive on OPKs. We were successful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I appreciate the size of this practice and the number of locations to choose from for providers. It did at times feel a bit like a baby factory with so many people coming in and out, but again, that seems expected when you choose a larger practice. I only had one procedure done at the clinic, with a few rounds of lab work, so my experiences are somewhat limited, but I had no complaints.
Framingham

We met with him [Dr. Toth] 3-4 times throughout our treatment...during the treatment process we most definitely felt like a number. We only heard from Dr. Toth when we made an appointment and visited the office. He never reached out in any other manner...And in a frustrating way he always reminded us that we were lucky to have one child and to focus on that fact as things progressed. We know we are lucky, but that didn't make it any easier to go through this process.
The nurses [at Boston IVF] provided very little information, usually without any context. For example one cycle we were unable to move forward with an IUI because of an "ovarian cyst", the nurse was unable to explain why it was a problem or what we should do about it. The location is Waltham is enormous, and very impersonal...Nicole [nurse] was wonderful to work with. She was easy to be in touch with and always advocating for us. We saw and heard from many nurses in addition to Nicole, for the most part they were good, however since we didn't see anyone regularly outside of Nicole it was mostly impersonal experiences.
How was your experience with Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Dr. Toth was warm and caring. He seemed engaged in our conversations and always wanted to know how we were doing and what was going on in our lives. However, we never heard from him unless we proactively made an appointment to see him in his office. While he was realistic about our chances of becoming pregnant, he never offered any guidance (like diet or lifestyle) outside of ambiguous medical information. And in a frustrating way he always reminded us that we were lucky to have one child and to focus on that fact as things progressed. We know we are lucky, but that didn't make it any easier to go through this process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Advocate for yourself. Make sure you have a way to hear from and contact Dr. Toth along the way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Toth at Boston IVF?
Dr Toth was so warm and caring. We met with him 3-4 times throughout our treatment. However, during the treatment process we most definitely felt like a number. We only heard from Dr. Toth when we made an appointment and visited the office. He never reached out in any other manner. The nurses provided very little information, usually without any context. For example one cycle we were unable to move forward with an IUI because of an "ovarian cyst", the nurse was unable to explain why it was a problem or what we should do about it. The location is Waltham is enormous, and very impersonal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
Nicole was wonderful to work with. She was easy to be in touch with and always advocating for us. We saw and heard from many nurses in addition to Nicole, for the most part they were good, however since we didn't see anyone regularly outside of Nicole it was mostly impersonal experiences.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF has done wonderful things for so many families. It's a huge facility/network with so many doctors and resources. However, it's very easy to feel like a number. The location in Waltham is huge and hard to navigate. It feels more like a factory than a doctor's office. It made us feel very uneasy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Toth at Boston IVF.
We were lucky that insurance covered a significant portion of our treatments.
Thomas Toth

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Brian Berger is a] Nice enough doctor, but hardly actually see him. The IUI procedures are even performed in another office, and are performed by staff from that office. Have had maybe 2 in person visits with him, and one or two phone consults...Of the numerous IUI cycles, only one egg fertilized, but it was a biochemical pregnancy, and what I thought was just a heavy period was apparently actually miscarrying at not even a full 4 weeks. I'm turning 43 in a matter of weeks and am super frustrated with the fact that after so much time, money, stress and tears, I still have no children.
A couple of times I wasn't called back with next step instructions [at Boston IVF] when I was supposed to be, despite my calling the office repeatedly, and both times that happened, it wound up being a canceled cycle. I still wonder if it is because they screwed up and I didn't get the instructions properly...Let's just say that, for the 7 or 8 IUI attempts we tried, I maxed out 3 credit cards...Theyre often very, very behind schedule. Have sat in the waiting room for over an hour before being called in. The woman who does the blood draws is absolutely fabulous, though. Im a tough draw, my veins like to roll away and hide, but she can always manage to get one to cooperate.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
You may get frustrated with the entire clinic.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Some were great. One older woman does NOT belong working there. No empathy at all. I wish I'd written down her name to be more specific. Made an already heartbreaking day worse.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
A couple of times I wasn't called back with next step instructions when I was supposed to be, despite my calling the office repeatedly, and both times that happened, it wound up being a canceled cycle. I still wonder if it is because they screwed up and I didn't get the instructions properly and threw off what should have happened w
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Pauli has great bedside manor, even while delivering bad news he makes you feel like he cares. I also like that he doesn’t give you false hope and tells it to you straight. Dr. Pauli has made me feel like I have say. When a cycle didn’t work he listens to my concerns and discusses the what to do next. I am a scientist so I am always reading medical journal articles, and Dr. Pauli respects that is willing to try things if it makes sense for a positive outcome.
Dr. Pauli’s nursing team [at IVF New England] openly share information as things progress. It makes me feel more involved and less vulnerable. Everyone is friendly and so supportive, my own cheer squad!...the day of my fresh transfer my husband had a difficult day time with his contribution. Not only did the rooms not have any door looks, and people kept knocking on the door...The Waltham IVF location was the only complaint we have.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Don’t be afraid to ask any and everything you can think of.
Dr. Pauli along with his nursing team openly share information as things progress. It makes me feel more involved and less vulnerable. Everyone is friendly and so supportive, my own cheer squad!
My first IUI we tried clomid, but it hampered growth of my uterine lining. So I ended up with a negative test. For the next two cycle of iui we just used gonal-f at 375 units twice daily, still we got a negative. I never had more than 4 follicles. For the first IVF we used BC, lupron and final-f. After the BC my body had a difficult time restarting resulting in 22 days of injections. However there were 3 follicles and two were retrieved. Both follicles were fertilized by icsi and were day 3 transfer 8A embryos my lining thickened to 7mm. Unfortunately we saw a negative. When meeting with the Dr we discussed what might have hampered things, my concern was that the BC was too suppressive so we tried just estrogen and lupron. . After 14 days of injections my lining had thickened only and I had only one follicle and It didn’t want to grow. So to my dismay the cycle was canceled. The third cycle we went back to BC with clomid, gonal-f and a antagomits. Centrolide the antagonist hurt and bruised me for weeks. Once again my lining did not grow past 4mm, I did have 2 nice follicles. Due to the low # of follicles the IVF cycle was converted to iui. Nothing stuck. Dr. Pauli told me as long as I produce eggs we will try, but I need to start thinking about using a donor egg. That is tough to hear but it is realistic. My current cycle is just beginning with BC, lupron and 375 BID. I hope we get a positive soon.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Dr. Pauli’s nursing team openly share information as things progress. It makes me feel more involved and less vulnerable. Everyone is friendly and so supportive, my own cheer squad!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is coviently located in Lexington to my work near by. The day of my fresh transfer my husband had a difficult day time with his contribution. Not only did the rooms not have any door looks, and people kept knocking on the door. The Waltham IVF location was the only complaint we have.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Medications, copays and lab work.
2 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Luzzo made us feel like their was hope, but gave us the straight information...and we wanted both.... She was candid, but kind and gave us the straight up answers when we asked questions. She didn't sugarcoat things and we liked that.... It was a pretty standard IVF cycle, although she did provide a little different protocol in terms of the drugs and increased the estrogen for the treatment.
I think Boston IVF can be a great clinic, but because they are so large you get handed off to different doctors and we had to go to different clinics for different procedures. I like the fact that they have a whole mind, body, spirit component with IVF. They offer a support group that I joined that was helpful.... Most of the appointments were in the early morning so it was first come, first serve. That can be a little nerve wracking, but I got into my appointments all the time before I went to work.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
I think Dr. Luzzo was exactly what we wanted in a doctor. She was better than our previous one who had a better reputation. She was candid, but kind and gave us the straight up answers when we asked questions. She didn't sugarcoat things and we liked that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Just be ready to hear the truth. She will give it to you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
She seemed very empathetic. She knew her stuff and that is always important. She seemed to get her job done quickly and proficiently.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Our insurance covered practically all of the costs and Dr. Luzzo was honest with us about additional procedures like Donor Eggs and PGS. We actually saved some money based upon her advice regarding Donor Eggs.
Describe Kerri Luzzo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Boston IVF only does single transfer to prevent multiples. Our previous doctor did not. We did have a pregnancy with the previous clinic, but it resulted in a miscarriage.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I think our prescriptions were delayed for this last procedure. It wasn't a big deal, but it did cause a bit of anxiety for us to start the procedure.
Providence
Dr Penzias put us on 6 months of medicated cycles...he had a scientific and statistical approach to everything. He would explain things thoroughly in statistical terms, which is great if your mind works that way, but sometimes I would've preferred more layman terms. We were pleased during our times with him, but the main problem was we could rarely get a hold of him for any ad hoc questions, and appointments with him took a while to schedule out. We also thought he would be performing our procedures (ie egg retrieval) but that was not the case.
Diagnostic testing [at Boston IVF] that was not covered by insurance amounted to about 2-3k, which came as a surprise to us and I would've elected not to do some of it (like for STDs)... I was happy overall with my doctor when I got to see him, and the latter dedicated nurses I had were very helpful and caring...it was a little clumsily run. Every time I would check in at the main front desk, there would be three employees sitting there chatting and I would rarely be pointed to the right place for secondary check-in. Oftentimes I was sent to wait by the blood testing wing and they would be calling my name in the other wing or vice versa, and have me marked as late for my appointment. The staff that were at the payment windows were also terribly unfriendly more often than not ... they'd be on their phones and roll their eyes when I approached asking if I pay for my appointment there.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr Penzias seemed to be very knowledgeable and had a scientific and statistical approach to everything. He would explain things thoroughly in statistical terms, which is great if your mind works that way, but sometimes I would've preferred more layman terms. We were pleased during our times with him, but the main problem was we could rarely get a hold of him for any ad hoc questions, and appointments with him took a while to schedule out. We also thought he would be performing our procedures (ie egg retrieval) but that was not the case.
For the first 75% of my cycle I was under the care of a rotating stream of nurses. I would get monitoring result and other related calls from a different person each day, and they were not always on the same page. Some of the nurses were very nice and some were curt. I'm not sure if this was sorted out and they now have 1 dedicated nurse for Dr Penzias, but the rotating care was frustrating since i had to re-explain a concern or re-ask a question constantly to different people.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Dr Penzias put us on 6 months of medicated cycles (he gave us the choice of IUI vs just timed relations each month - we did the latter due to our travel schedule) before we moved on to IVF. I was on standard Gonal F, ovidril, cetratide prior to egg retrieval and then progesterone in oil prior to embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
The latter reviews for primary nurse are specifically for Sara and Ashley. In the first portion of my time with Dr Penzias I was treated by a rotating schedule of nurses which was frustrating. But when Sara was working she was very attentive, compassionate, super responsive and helpful and then when Ashley took over she was also amazing.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Even though Boston IVF Waltham is a large center, it was a little clumsily run. Every time I would check in at the main front desk, there would be three employees sitting there chatting and I would rarely be pointed to the right place for secondary check-in. Oftentimes I was sent to wait by the blood testing wing and they would be calling my name in the other wing or vice versa, and have me marked as late for my appointment. The staff that were at the payment windows were also terribly unfriendly more often than not ... they'd be on their phones and roll their eyes when I approached asking if I pay for my appointment there. If you can look past these administrative issues, I was happy overall with my doctor when I got to see him, and the latter dedicated nurses I had were very helpful and caring.
Our insurance ended up covering our IVF cycle, but we were quoted about 15k for the cycle. Diagnostic testing that was not covered by insurance amounted to about 2-3k, which came as a surprise to us and I would've elected not to do some of it (like for STDs).
Waltham
Dr. Glatstein was very compassionate, very personable. For key milestones, he often called us himself...From the beginning, Dr.Glatstein gave us the confidence and sense of calmness we needed throughout the process. Through it all, Dr. Glastein was there for us and assuring us that we would have success! Failing a fresh embryo transfer after retrieval, we had success upon our first frozen embryo transfer. Dr. Glatstein is a passionate, patient, and kind caregiver. We were so thankful to have him on our side.
Process wise there was some confusion [at IVF New England] about who (which doctor) is performing retrievals and transfers. It was not clear to me from the beginning that my primary treating physician may not be the one performing the retrieval or transfer. I wish I received more advance notice of which doctor was on staff that day performing these duties...The clinic works tirelessly. I was worried my transfer timing might occur right on Thanksgiving Day. The assured me they work, they're open!
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
Every fertility journey is unique. From the beginning, Dr.Glatstein gave us the confidence and sense of calmness we needed throughout the process. Through it all, Dr. Glastein was there for us and assuring us that we would have success! Failing a fresh embryo transfer after retrieval, we had success upon our first frozen embryo transfer. Dr. Glatstein is a passionate, patient, and kind caregiver. We were so thankful to have him on our side. Don't wait to make an appointment... go see them now!
Do not hesitate to make an appointment. Time is precious!
Describe the protocols Isaac Glatstein used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Dr.Glastein ordered Gonal-F, Menopur and Cetrotide for stimulation. I believe all were low-to-moderate doses as this was my first cycle and I was 31 YO at the time. Leuprolide trigger shot was also ordered but not used as it was not needed. Retrieval resulted in 9 eggs. Estradiol patches and Crinone were ordered as supportive medications as well.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff changed quite a bit during the entire course of treatment. I believe it was the clinic's intention to assign a primary nurse but due to turnover and staffing changes it felt like I spoke with a different person every time. Although this was somewhat frustrating from a continuity of care perspective, all the nurses I spoke with were well trained and pleasant.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic works tirelessly. I was worried my transfer timing might occur right on Thanksgiving Day. The assured me they work, they're open! As a private clinic this is a major positive vs. smaller or academic clinics that may not do retrievals or transfers on Sundays or holidays for example. Process wise there was some confusion about who (which doctor) is performing retrievals and transfers. It was not clear to me from the beginning that my primary treating physician may not be the one performing the retrieval or transfer. I wish I received more advance notice of which doctor was on staff that day performing these duties.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF.
Fortunately, I had insurance coverage. I believe I paid a coinsurance for stimulation medications. Otherwise, all procedures, monitoring, testing, etc... was covered at no cost to me with the exception of cryopreservation which I believe was at or close to $1,000. We also have to pay $85 per month out of pocket for continued storage of cryopreserved embryos.
Isaac Glatstein
Lexington
Dr Luzzo appears knowledgeable but also to be going through the motions at times with not a lot of compassion or concern. At times, I felt like I had to advocate for myself and do my own research and then ask about things. She tended to talk fast and made me feel rushed.... I have had 3 IUIs. The first was with 50mg Clomid and the next two we bumped up to 100mg. I asked to use progesterone suppositories after the first IUI due to my short cycle length. I did OPK the first cycle. Then I missed my surge one month. The
One aspect which is frustrating is that sperm is stored at another office and you have to pick it up in the day of the IUI and bring it to this clinic [Boston IVF]. Also, the nurse who does the IUIs has been out a lot and in those situations, you speak to a nurse at the Boston office who are not very familiar with the Providence location. The office staff are very nice overall - the people who answer the phone, the phlebotomist, etc. the office is small and can feel crowded in the morning when you come for lab work.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Be prepared to advocate and speak up
The initial appointment I felt very rushed and as though Dr. Luzzo was just giving a spiel she had given 1,000 with very little affect or interest. My two follow up appointments have been a little better - still not a lot of emotion and feeling a bit rushed along.
I have had 3 IUIs. The first was with 50mg Clomid and the next two we bumped up to 100mg. I asked to use progesterone suppositories after the first IUI due to my short cycle length. I did OPK the first cycle. Then I missed my surge one month. The next two IUIs I did blood test monitoring only to detect my surge. I am in the two week wait now after my third IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy has been responsive when I reach out but is not in the office very much. Also, she doesn’t always seem to remember my situation which can be frustrating. I have also had to remind her about calling in prescriptions and such for me. It has been a bit stressful at times.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
One aspect which is frustrating is that sperm is stored at another office and you have to pick it up in the day of the IUI and bring it to this clinic. Also, the nurse who does the IUIs has been out a lot and in those situations, you speak to a nurse at the Boston office who are not very familiar with the Providence location. The office staff are very nice overall - the people who answer the phone, the phlebotomist, etc. the office is small and can feel crowded in the morning when you come for lab work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Most was out of pocket IUI is about $450
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I have had issues with not getting results, office not communicating with another office that had to do my IUI when clinic nurse was out, as well as prescriptions not being called in and overall poor communication at times about treatment plan.
Providence
Be prepared to talk to nurses more than him [Dr. Berger] for the majority of the time...He is very kind and gentle. I wish I got hard numbers for odds, but I’m not sure any doctor can really give that. I do wish I saw or spoke with him instead of the nurses more often, but honestly, I know he is busy reviewing results and creating protocols and I can respect that. My feeling is, he is the expert and whatever he needs to make the magic happen, I support
I was given my negative result [by Boston IVF] on a voicemail once. I did not appreciate that at all. The other two times I was able to answer the phone...Nice place. Several locations, which is great. Surgery and lab on site at the main office. Although I have never been to any other clinic and cannot compare, everything feels very “top of the line” at bivf...The staff are all pretty attentive and caring. It does take a while to get a follow up appointment, but phone appointments make it easier to get one faster and since I live far away, I really appreciate being able to do phone appointments.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Be prepared to talk to nurses more than him for the majority of the time. They are really helpful though, and will make sure to get all your questions answered
We used ovarian stims to try to get several eggs at each retrieval
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I was given my negative result on a voicemail once. I did not appreciate that at all. The other two times I was able to answer the phone.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Nice place. Several locations, which is great. Surgery and lab on site at the main office. Although I have never been to any other clinic and cannot compare, everything feels very “top of the line” at bivf. Speak up and don’t be afraid to ask questions about your protocol because it might not be explained in great detail, although it will certainly be explained to some degree. I am lucky that I have great insurance, but I think they have access to grant or study $ options which is great too
We have never discussed my decision to transfer one embryo. I have always been fine with transferring two 3 day or 1 at 5 day
2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Based on my diagnosis of DOR [by Dr. David Ryley] 2-3 embryos were thought to be best for transfer...Dr. Ryley has an excellent bedside manner. He is compassionate and friendly and explains the process well. I did not find him open to changing protocols nor did he seem particularly well versed in treating DOR...The last protocol I insisted upon; the first two were standard for the clinic and were attempted because women often respond differently to the 2 protocols.
My nurse [at Boston IVF] was not communicative regarding important parameters during my cycle (although other nurses were when she was not available to call.)...very efficient, wait times for monitoring are almost nonexistent, and retrievals and transfers run smoothly. Overall the clinic is very good. Based on my experience with one doctor, I would suggest that more alternative or atypical protocols be attempted, particularly in the case of conditions such as DOR.
How was your experience with David Ryley at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Ryley at Boston IVF?
Be your own advocate. Ask many questions, and insist on the treatment that you want. If you have a condition such as DOR, ask specifically what would differ in your treatment compared to women without DOR.
Describe the protocols David Ryley used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol (I responded poorly), 2 micro-flare protocols (I responded better), and two A/ACP with estrogen priming protocols (I produced many more eggs). The last protocol I insisted upon; the first two were standard for the clinic and were attempted because women often respond differently to the 2 protocols.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Heidi Atherton)
Heidi was very personable and polite, but provided almost no information regarding parameters during the cycle such as follicle number, estrogen levels, etc., even when I specifically requested that I be provided this information (often, a voicemail is left when the patient is busy at work). I have since learned that many patients are provided cycle calendars (Heidi does not provide them), and following often complicated instructions is much more difficult in the absence of a cycle calendar. Other mistakes were made, such as the source of sperm (fresh or frozen) many times, which definitely increased my stress level during the process.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is very efficient, wait times for monitoring are almost nonexistent, and retrievals and transfers run smoothly. Overall the clinic is very good. Based on my experience with one doctor, I would suggest that more alternative or atypical protocols be attempted, particularly in the case of conditions such as DOR.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Ryley at Boston IVF.
Massachusetts covers IVF cycles almost fully. For freezing and storing samples, as well as copays for medications, our overall costs during 5 IVF cycles over the course of 2 years was approximately $2500.
Describe David Ryley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Based on my diagnosis of DOR, 2-3 embryos were thought to be best for transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Of the many times a call needed to be returned to me, only once or twice was I not called back. One major issue was failure to record use of a frozen sperm sample for each IVF cycle. Out of 5 cycles, only once was this done correctly (requiring me to make several calls before these retrievals to correct the error.) My nurse was not communicative regarding important parameters during my cycle (although other nurses were when she was not available to call.)
David Ryley
3 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
It was obvious that Dr. Berger genuinely cared about us. He would come into the office and have a conversation with us about every day life. He wasn’t just there to talk IVF business. I appreciated having a friendly conversation with him that wasn’t strictly IVF related...He is a compassionate human being that genuinely cares about his patients. You could tell he felt our pain when things didn’t go as planned and he felt our happiness when they did. I was sad to have to part with him when I was 6 weeks pregnant. He made me feel like there was hope when our first doctor didn’t. He gave me our miracle baby!
They [nurse at Boston IVF] were all super sweet and very friendly...There was only one time when I wasn’t notified of my next steps. But I don’t consider that as something that requires me to tattletale on them because I understand the amount of phone calls they receive and deliver each day...Considering the amount of people they have in and out of their clinic daily I would say that they are doing pretty well. Of course there are some things that I could complain about but I wouldn’t necessarily consider them as a weakness
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Be patient. Ask any and all questions. It will happen for you one way or another. We were told by my first IVF doctor that after my daughter was born my husband wouldn’t be able to keep going in producing sperm. Here we are 4 years later with our little miracle babe!
He is aggressive. But he knows his stuff and how knows what your body can handle. I just put all my faith in him!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
They were all super sweet and very friendly. We attended the baby bowl right after we started seeing Brian Berger as our doctor. His nursing team was also in attendance at the baby bowl and were able to spot myself and my husband and made sure to come and say hi to us. I thought it was great how personal they were with us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Thankfully my insurance company covered almost all of our procedures due to my husband‘s condition. We however are required to pay for sperm and embryo storage
He was open to whatever we chose. But because I was healthy and young there was no need for multiples
Boston
Dr. Resetkova was extremely caring throughout the process of the first time I walked into her offie to personally calling me to tell me about my positive pregnancy test. She explained everything to me, as it applied to me. She customized my treatment for what my body was doing at that moment....I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was prescribed 5mg of Femara at the beginning of my cycle. I went in for regular blood work and ultrasound monitoring. I was told when to administer the Ovidrel shot in order to induce ovulation
The entire staff at Boston IVF is very helpful and dedicated to their patients. I never had to worry about getting my results; they called the second they were in and communicated next steps. They were easily available by phone or email....Little wait time in scheduling appointments with the doctor. Really warm staff that gets to know you well as your treatment progresses. I did not have any negative experiences. I was seen at the Quincy office throughout the entire process and I was always in and out on time.
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
I absolutely love working with Dr. Resetkova. I had the opportunity to be seen at MGH or BWH where my consults with MFMs were as I would be a high risk pregnancy after my second trimester loss. I chose to return to Dr. Resetkova because I fully trusted her after the first round of successful treatment. She explained everything to me, I never had questions about what would happen next. After my loss she developed a plan to get us towards our next round of treatment, when we were comfortable, as well as to help me get the information I needed to understand what happened in my pregnancy as well as what questions to ask of a MFM who will be managing my pregnancy in the future.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Ask questions about the various forms of treatment. A lot of clinics it seems will want to rush you to IUI or IVF. We chose to use ovulation induction without IUI after I asked further questions and she was completely on board and it worked for us our first try.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Dr. Resetkova was extremely caring throughout the process of the first time I walked into her offie to personally calling me to tell me about my positive pregnancy test. She explained everything to me, as it applied to me. She customized my treatment for what my body was doing at that moment. When I experienced a second trimester loss (unrelated to infertility or her treatment) she sat down with me to go over everything that happened; gave me helpful information as well as questions to ask MFM during consults; and created a new treatment plan with me so I would have steps to take, as she knows and understands that I'm a person that really needs a plan and having steps to look forward to.
Describe the protocols Nina Resetkova used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was prescribed 5mg of Femara at the beginning of my cycle. I went in for regular blood work and ultrasound monitoring. I was told when to administer the Ovidrel shot in order to induce ovulation and on what days to have relations. We then went back for two HCG blood draws and two ultrasounds before I went to my regular OB for care.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Easily available by phone or email to discuss issues. Little wait time in scheduling appointments with the doctor. Really warm staff that gets to know you well as your treatment progresses. I did not have any negative experiences. I was seen at the Quincy office throughout the entire process and I was always in and out on time. The early morning monitoring ensures that I got results by the early afternoon and that my work day wasn't interrupted.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF.
I had a $40 copay for my visits with Dr. Resetkova; I paid nothing out of pocket for monitoring ultrasounds/blood work. I had a prescription co pay for Ovidrel that was $130. I did not pay for Femara.
Nina Resetkova