Merle Berger

Westborough, MA 01580
Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

I adore Dr. Brian Berger but feel that he is so busy, sometimes I dealt a lot with the nurses opposed to him... One issue I was disappointed about was after 3 unsuccessful iui's, we went in for our consult for IVF and to begin the process. We were told then that my BMI was too high and I would need to lose 40 pounds to proceed. I was angry because I had been seeing him for almost a year at that point and was never told this information or I would have already worked at losing weight.
Nurses were great [at Boston IVF]! I did have 1 or 2 who were not so friendly. And after a failed iui, did not have much compassion when they called to tell me of my negative blood test. The nurses also perform the iui's and 1 of them was horrific. She started with the largest speculum and the whole procedure was incredibly uncomfortable. My most favorite nurse was Melissa Craig. She is a saint and was always so wonderful.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Brian Berger is a wonderful doctor. I always trusted him and had faith that he would help us have a child. One issue I was disappointed about was after 3 unsuccessful iui's, we went in for our consult for IVF and to begin the process. We were told then that my BMI was too high and I would need to lose 40 pounds to proceed. I was angry because I had been seeing him for almost a year at that point and was never told this information or I would have already worked at losing weight.
Ask questions. And ask about future plans so you are prepared.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
All 3 iui's I started on letrozole cycle days 3-7. Ultrasound and blood started on day 12 and hug trigger shot when my follicles were 18mm+.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nurses were great! I did have 1 or 2 who were not so friendly. And after a failed iui, did not have much compassion when they called to tell me of my negative blood test. The nurses also perform the iui's and 1 of them was horrific. She started with the largest speculum and the whole procedure was incredibly uncomfortable. My most favorite nurse was Melissa Craig. She is a saint and was always so wonderful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Better communication. More providers at the south shore center so the wait isn't so long. And just being more straightforward with information. If a patient is overweight, make sure it it communicated that they have a BMI requirement.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Med refill took 4 days to be called into pharmacy. Wasn't told about the BMI requirement with anesthesia dept.
2015 - 2018, Successful
For my fresh cycle we chose to put 2 embryos in, the result was my daughter...Dr. Berger asked how many babies we want for this pregnancy, we responded with 1, and he said that's our answer! I really liked how he very simply helped us make such an important decision...I felt that he really has such a passion for what he does, so during his care I was blown away by how everything went.
I think everyone at this clinic [Boston IVF] has been super positive, helpful and kind. I also love that they have the Domar center and offer so much that helps during your treatment, like acupuncture...but it was definitely worth it for the care you receive. I would honestly say that the doctors, nurses and staff here are the equivalent to Disney employees, everyone is so nice to you!...I love how this entire clinic, with all their different locations, works as one giant team. I felt very taken Care of, even when I didn't necessarily know the doctor or nurse who was caring for me during a certain procedure.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger has been very direct and to the point about my treatment and expectations. I have always felt that I was in good hands and that he was in full control over how my cycle turned out. In the times that I showed concern or was nervous about a procedure he really spoke to me like a human and not a doctor, which was such a comfort. In a consultation I had recently with him, after having my daughter and going back for a frozen transfer I told him that what I experienced with my IVF cycle went so much easier than I had anticipated and it was because of him that it went so well. I did wish that I could see my doctor more for procedures, instead of sometimes having all different doctors, but at the same time I knew dr. Berger was in full control of my cycle and I felt so comfortable with everyone at Boston IVF. Dr. Berger always stresses excellence in his field and the importance of keeping up with what is best for his patients treatments, so I knew that he would never let me in the hands of a colleague that wouldn't be equally excellent to execute his plans. This really spoke volumes in the amount of trust I put in him for my care, and how pleased I was with the results.
I would tell a prospective patient that it's important to get all your information and ask all your questions during your consultation, you won't necessarily get the chance to see him or talk to him again during your cycle. It's important to trust what he wants to do to help you.
I felt that he really has such a passion for what he does, so during his care I was blown away by how everything went. After having my daughter, my husband and I went back for a consultation to do a frozen embryo transfer and he was so happy to see us and see that we had success. We had a very nice conversation while also being down to business to make sure we have success for our family again. We couldn't be happier!
I can't remember with my IVF cycle what the specifics were, I am currently doing a frozen transfer and my protocol so far is to take letrozole cycle days 3-7, then blood work/ ultrasound cycle day 10. I will be taking ovidrel, edomitrine, doxicycline, and methylprednisolon
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff has always been very organized and very easy to talk to. I really appreciate how they handle your cycle and how they communicate what needs to be done. They have always been very quick to get things done for you also.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I love how this entire clinic, with all their different locations, works as one giant team. I felt very taken Care of, even when I didn't necessarily know the doctor or nurse who was caring for me during a certain procedure. I found that it was nice at times that you had to call and leave voicemails, that way you always got the exact and correct answers you needed, although sometimes you just want to call and get through to someone so you don't have to wait for a phone call, but that's just sometimes in my opinion. I think everyone at this clinic has been super positive, helpful and kind. I also love that they have the Domar center and offer so much that helps during your treatment, like acupuncture. The worst part was the commute during rush hour to get to appointments, but it was definitely worth it for the care you receive. I would honestly say that the doctors, nurses and staff here are the equivalent to Disney employees, everyone is so nice to you!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
My fresh cycle I was on different insurance so more of my drugs were covered. For my frozen transfer, I'm finding the cost of my medication more expensive due to my current insurance.
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
For my fresh cycle we chose to put 2 embryos in, the result was my daughter. Going back for a frozen transfer we were not sure what to do, how many embryos. Dr. Berger asked how many babies we want for this pregnancy, we responded with 1, and he said that's our answer! I really liked how he very simply helped us make such an important decision
South Shore
Dr.Luzzo put her all into our situation. She was the first doctor to diagnose the reason for my pregnancy loss while other doctors did not even do the proper testing. She makes us feel comfortable and we trust in her. ... Dr. Luzzo is caring and sympathetic. ... Even when it came down to insurance issues she put her all into figuring it out for us. She has made our experience so far more comfortable.
The clinic [Boston IVF] is comfortable and the staff is friendly. Sometimes getting in for an appointment can be difficult if you have a busy schedule. The office is a bit far for me but are good about emailing me order to have bloodwork at a closer lab. ... There was only one case where they forgot to send the prescription to the phatmacy for me. ... Sometimes I feel her nurse can come off insensitive.
How was your experience with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Luzzo is caring and sympathetic. She made us feel like she was doing all that she could do help our situation. Even when it came down to insurance issues she put her all into figuring it out for us. She has made our experience so far more comfortable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
My advice would be to always keep an open mind and be patient. Our news was not what we wanted to hear but we put our trust in Dr.Luzzo and we feel she will hive us the end result we are looking for.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Kerri Luzzo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I have a uterine anomaly which has caused reoccurrent pregnancy loss. Dr.Luzzo has consulted with other doctors on the team regarding my situation. Our next step is to have surgery to repair the uterus and remove scar tissue and then start our IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Sometimes I feel her nurse can come off insensitive. You can sometimes tell she is busy and I feel sometimes like I'm bothering her.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is comfortable and the staff is friendly. Sometimes getting in for an appointment can be difficult if you have a busy schedule. The office is a bit far for me but are good about emailing me order to have bloodwork at a closer lab. The atmosphere of the office is very comfortable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kerri Luzzo at Boston IVF.
Pgs testing will cost us around $3500. IVF is covered with a $125 copay. I've had 2 uterine surgeries with a $125 copay each. I will also have copays for the medications associated with IVF
Describe Kerri Luzzo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
She recommended single embryo transfer due to our high risk situation.
Kerri Luzzo
Providence

2015 - 2018, Successful
[Dr. Sneeringer has] Excellent bed side manner, very understanding and knowledgeable. Takes her time to address any issues or concerns. Does not make you feel rushed and is empathetic to your specific situation...Willingness to be available to discuss any issues/concerns. Quick to respond to emails and phone calls...Patient when your acting crazy on IVF meds. Kind and caring. Most importantly, created protocols that resulted in 2 ivf cycles and 2 healthy baby boys. I am forever grateful.
[Nurses at Boston IVF are] Always available, prompt via phone and email, understanding and patient, excellent bed side manner, easy to talk to/good communication, personable, kind, caring and knowledgeable. Takes the time to make sure you understand everything...It was relatively quick. I was usually seen immediately...Easy to make an appt however sometimes they have booked up in advance. The staff is great about calling if there has been a cancellation. The environment is modern, welcoming and clean. All front desk and registration staff are really friendly.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Exceptional bed side manner. Willingness to be available to discuss any issues/concerns. Quick to respond to emails and phone calls. Empathetic to my situation. Understanding and knowledgeable. Patient when your acting crazy on IVF meds. Kind and caring. Most importantly, created protocols that resulted in 2 ivf cycles and 2 healthy baby boys. I am forever grateful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Don’t wait any longer! The answers you’re seeking are with her!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Ivf fresh cycle: injectables: gonal f, ganirelix, ovidrel and crinone progesterone. FET cycle: estrace, estrogen patches and crinone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Megan )
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
It was relatively quick. I was usually seen immediately.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
It was covered by insurance. I had to pay a copay at each visit and for medications.
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I had a mu
Waltham

He [Dr. Berger] tailored plans to my needs even though some aspects were not typically recommended. He went way above and beyond what I expect from a doctor with his time to make sure I was comfortable...He used an aggressive approach to stimulating my ovaries because I am older and wanted to freeze eggs...He is easy to talk to, thinks critically, has enormous amount of experience, cares about his patients truly, very attentive. He is skilled. He talked to me about decisions so that I could participate and so that I was comfortable.
Paid for egg freezing out of pocket [at Boston IVF]. Reasonable cost compared to others...I liked the flexibility of having many offices throughout the Boston area. The staff love their job and it shows in how they treat patients. The technicians seemed skilled at their job and were very pleasant. There isn't continuity in who you'll see from time to time, but that didn't bother me...[nurses were] Super responsive, kind, patient.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He tailored plans to my needs even though some aspects were not typically recommended. He went way above and beyond what I expect from a doctor with his time to make sure I was comfortable.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Super responsive, kind, patient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Paid for egg freezing out of pocket. Reasonable cost compared to others
South Shore
Dr. Digirolamo created a warm and welcoming environment, which help with the stress of not knowing what to expect, durning the consultation. She was compassionate and empathy to my needs, addressing my concerns and answering all questions. She is very knowledgeable and explained everything in detail regarding what I would be experiencing, testing, medicine, cost of the procedure and potential outcomes.
Nursing staff [at Boston IVF- Waltham] was very professional, efficient, knowledgeable and follow up with you regarding up coming appointments and procedures.... Everyone listen to concerns and answer my questions with compassion and empathy. They explain the truth regarding my situation, with solution and options. My doctor was very knowledgeable as well as her team and the follow up was excellent.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Come prepared to ask as many questions as you want. Do not hold back, she will ensure you leave knowing and feeling more comfortable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nursing staff was very professional, efficient, knowledgeable and follow up with you regarding up coming appointments and procedures.
Carla DiGirolamo

[Dr. Sneeringer] is incredibly caring, but also very straight forward. Most of our conversations involved laughter, honesty and she always clearly communicated with me what the next steps were...IVF can be brutal and Rita's wonderful personality, candid demeanor and sense of humor were a great reprieve from the hardships of IVF. I would highly recommend her to anyone!
Meg [nurse at Boston IVF] was terrible at returning phone calls, getting on the phone and she never explained anything. She just automatically assumed you knew what she was talking about. If i hadn't liked [Dr. Sneeringer] so much, i would have left BIVF...Egg donation coordinator is awful and so loud. You get a headache just trying tu talk to her. Financial coordinator is nice enough, but could user better organization skills. Other nursing staff, front desk lady we're all super nice.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Rita was a recommendation from a girlfriend of mine and I am so grateful that she passed along Rita's name. IVF can be brutal and Rita's wonderful personality, candid demeanor and sense of humor were a great reprieve from the hardships of IVF. I would highly recommend her to anyone!
Trust her
Rita is incredibly caring, but also very straight forward. Most of our conversations involved laughter, honesty and she always clearly communicated with me what the next steps were.
No clue
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg Kennedy)
Meg was terrible at returning phone calls, getting on the phone and she never explained anything. She just automatically assumed you knew what she was talking about. If i hadn't liked Rita so much, i would have left BIVF.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
First cycle covered by insurance. Donor cycle was OOO.
We wanted just one child, so we transferred one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Honestly, I've blocked most of it out to save my sanity. They need some better administrators in there though.

2015 - 2017, Successful
She [Dr. Kristen Wright] is a no nonsense type person. Blunt and to the point with recommendations. We don’t feel we need coddling or hand holding as a couple so her approach worked for us. If someone needs a softer touch she may not be the best doctor. After we had a successful transfer her demeanor changed a little and she was lighter, less serious demeanor, happier for us and our situation. I think that is the nature of I fertility though, you can’t be too optimistic Incase it doesn’t work. We hit a few speed bumps and she gave us proper guidance for each step.
One major thing I want to say is the primary nurse [at IVF NE- Lexington] was very kind and helpful when I accidentally froze my injectable medications for the egg retrieval protocol. We had no fertility coverage with insurance so everything was OOP. She contacted the Gonal F rep and they got me samples to replace my medications so I didn’t have to pay over $2,000 again) she even offered to meet my husband to pick up the medication on her drive home since we lived so far away. Through the IVF process she was nice enough and left very brief messages with results/recommendations, but was also pregnant during this process which sadly left a bitter taste in my mouth not knowing if we were going to be successful (she was on maternity leave for the frozen transfer).
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
She is a no nonsense type person. Blunt and to the point with recommendations. We don’t feel we need coddling or hand holding as a couple so her approach worked for us. If someone needs a softer touch she may not be the best doctor. After we had a successful transfer her demeanor changed a little and she was lighter, less serious demeanor, happier for us and our situation. I think that is the nature of I fertility though, you can’t be too optimistic Incase it doesn’t work. We hit a few speed bumps and she gave us proper guidance for each step.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Have your questions written down ahead of time if you can. But don’t hesitate to call and ask additional ones that pop up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr Wright always answered any questions we had and spoke to us frankly. We are not people that need coddling or hand holding and her approach was just right for us.
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Two procedures: 1) IVF for egg retrieval and 2) embryo transfer. 1) Started Lupron 10 units SQ once daily for 10 days, then decreased to 5 units once daily and started Gonadotrpins: Gonal F 225 units SQ and Menopur 75 units SQ once daily until hCG shot (10 days later). Egg retrieval 2 days after trigger. 13 eggs retrieved, 7 mature and frozen unfertilized. We found out a week or so before retrieval that my husband had zero sperm in his sample that was to be frozen for a back up. As well as zero sperm the day of retrieval. After speaking with Dr. Wright she encouraged us to go ahead with Egg retrieval since we were so far along in the process and fertilize later on. My husband had TESE procedure 2 months after my ER and the froze 10 vials of sperm. We did not to any genetic testing or extra testing on eggs/sperm or embryos. 2) Fresh embryo transfer from frozen gametes (3 months after ER and 1 month after TESE procedure). Treated like a frozen embryo transfer schedule but with the unpredictability of transfer date like a fresh cycle. Started Aspirin 81mg and estrogen patches (I get migraines and can’t be on Estrace pills) and continued this until pregnancy test. Started Progesterone 25mg IM once daily day 15 and increase to 50mg IM daily until after positive pregnancy test and ultrasounds. Day 17 transfer of two embryos. Gametes thawed, 4 eggs survived the thaw and fertilized, 2 arrested day 1, 2 remained and were transferred as a Day 2/3 transfer to Give them the best chance at growing. Our original protocol was to transfer one embryo due to our low risk factors and age. The on call doctor made the decision to transfer both in order to give us the best chance to get pregnant, we agreed with their recommendation. Transferred a -2c and a 5b embryo. Both stuck and resulted in live (C-section) birth of B/G twins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Corey, RN)
One major thing I want to say is the primary nurse was very kind and helpful when I accidentally froze my injectable medications for the egg retrieval protocol. We had no fertility coverage with insurance so everything was OOP. She contacted the Gonal F rep and they got me samples to replace my medications so I didn’t have to pay over $2,000 again) she even offered to meet my husband to pick up the medication on her drive home since we lived so far away. Through the IVF process she was nice enough and left very brief messages with results/recommendations, but was also pregnant during this process which sadly left a bitter taste in my mouth not knowing if we were going to be successful (she was on maternity leave for the frozen transfer). This was no fault of hers, just a very delicate situation dealing with infertility emotions. The phlebotomist Brenda Connolly was AMAZING. I shed many tears and asked her many questions in which she showed so much compassion, support and guidance. I personally have a hard time with gynecology visits and it’s has been something very stressful and anxiety ridden for years. So when I was informed the ultrasounds would be internal starting with day 1, I had a very anxious emotional reaction. The one ultrasound nurse (only saw her twice) was more irritated and put off that I was shocked about the ultrasound not being external. I was not informed of this prior to the appointment. After holding it together for the ultrasound I let my emotions out to Brenda who was ever so kind and I believe she spoke to the ultrasound nurse about it since her demeanor changed the only other time I saw her. Once I was completely informed and there were no new surprises I did much better with the whole process.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
IVFNE was in the process of merging with Boston IVF which made things more complicated with billing more than anything. But I had a very good experience with all of the doctors I dealt with from IVFNE including the doctor that did my retrieval and embryo transfer. They are definitely a well oiled machine and know what they are doing. I didn’t feel like a number, I felt like I was being taken care of by professionals that knew what to do and did it efficiently.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.
Medications were completely out of pocket. They were phoned into a local compounding pharmacy that has dedicated staff to help answer any questions about fertility medication. 1) IVF for egg retrieval: Leuprolide $249 Gonal F $2,142 Menopur $972 Pregnyl (hCG) $92 Crinone $572.46 (did not use due to no fertilization at egg retrieval and non-returnable) Rx fees $16.94 Total for cycle $4,044.40 2) embryo transfer Estrogen patches $409.21 Progesterone injectable $79.85 Total cycle cost $489.06

2014 - 2017, Successful
Dr. DiGirolamo met with us a number of times at the start of each cycle to talk through the process and listen to our concerns. There were times when it was hard to get a 'straight answer', especially after failed cycles - everything seem to be generalized as egg quality or not 'viable' - but I also understand that she can't explain exactly why the cycle failed. After visits with the doctor we would meet with the nurse to go over the instructions for the start of the cycle. Once we started, we didn't see the doctor again; just talked to the nurse with instructions after U/S and bloodwork...
[IVF New England - Lex] Front desk staff is very friendly and gets to know you over your visits. The phlebotemists and Ultrasound technicians couldn't be nicer. They are all friendly and welcoming - and this is a big plus because these are the people you see throughout your cycle face to face - not the nurse and not the doctor. I feel comfortable there - more than at any other doctor's office. The same can be said about the staff for egg retrieval - very nice/friendly/compassionate with you - especially if you are nervous for each egg retrieval like I am.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr DiGirolamo met with us a number of times at the start of each cycle to talk through the process and listen to our concerns. There were times when it was hard to get a 'straight answer', especially after failed cycles - everything seem to be generalized as egg quality or not 'viable' - but I also understand that she can't explain exactly why the cycle failed. After visits with the doctor we would meet with the nurse to go over the instructions for the start of the cycle. Once we started, we didn't see the doctor again; just talked to the nurse with instructions after U/S and bloodwork
I would give this for any doctor: the process is overwhelming and even if you think you asked everything and understood anything when walking out the door, make sure to leave the door open for follow up questions or to repeat information. Ask the doctor what is the best way to contact them or their nurses for these types of questions
She seemed genuine in giving us advice and telling us the process
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
strong protocol with stimulation medication to help with low reserve
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Negative: Some of the nurses would be short with you if you asked questions or when explaining your instructions - probably because they repeat themselves a number of times a day - but depending on who called you, it could be annoying. Also, they were hard to get a hold of. If I called, I never had anyone answer live...I always had to leave a voicemail and wait for a call back. Not everything is explained in detail. I recently did a cycle where it was a freeze all due to genetic testing. They kept telling me to call when I got my period after the retrieval - but didn't indicate why. I didn't ask (so that's on me) but assumed they just needed to track it. When I got my period and called, they said I would need to go on the pill - and the reason for that was because I was still waiting for financial approval of the frozen cycle and they need to control my period. Not a big deal, but I thought it was weird that this was not explained to me previously. I think overall it boils down to - they same the same thing, more or less - to probably 20 or more patients a day - so sometimes you can tell they want to just spit out the instructions and be done. Positive: while some of the nurses were bitchy, some were really nice, patient and tried to help. There was one time when my medication order got messed up with my insurance and the nurse worked with for a few hours trying to fix it. While I said all that 'negative' stuff, 8 times out of 10 I got a really nice nurse.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
I'm unsure as my insurance covered about 90%. I think each cycle - with a fresh transfer cost around $9000

2013 - 2017, Unknown Success
Although he [Dr. Brian Berger] wasn't the most assessable person comma when I did schedule appointments, whether by phone or in person, he took an incredible amount of time to answer my questions in detail. One of the things I loved about him is his bedside manner. The compassion he showed always put me at ease no matter what I was asking or the difficulty of the explanation. I wish I could say the same for his staff which I thought should be completely replaced they're so bad! This mainly applies to the extended staff at the Waltham Clinic. Other than the lab staff, and the wonderful woman at the front desk, the rest really didn't have a clue about my treatment plan and consistently gave me wrong directions. I had to take my treatment and my knowledge of the process sees into my own hands time and time again.
After I had arranged for a known donor for sperm, Sharon [at Boston IVF] left me a terrible message that broke my heart. I played the message 5 times because it was so confusing. She told me that my donor was approved and that we could move forward with the process. Then in the second breath, she said that the donor was not approved by the FDA because he's gay and lives in a European country where they have mad cow disease. So I wasn't sure what to think and was panicked because I had just flown this man over and paid for all of his testing. I felt like the information she shared with me should have been provided in advance of all of the expenditures. When I called her to ask for an explanation, it was inadequate and she didn't understand in the least what a confusing and upsetting situation she created. I immediately asked her to be removed from my care team.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
By all means, Dr. Brian Berger is one of the leading infertility practitioners out there. I was thrilled that he took on my complicated case as a single woman who went through early menopause and would need to use both donor egg and donor sperm in order to have a child. Although he wasn't the most assessable person comma when I did schedule appointments, whether by phone or in person, he took an incredible amount of time to answer my questions in detail. One of the things I loved about him is his bedside manner. The compassion he showed always put me at ease no matter what I was asking or the difficulty of the explanation. I wish I could say the same for his staff which I thought should be completely replaced they're so bad! This mainly applies to the extended staff at the Waltham Clinic. Other than the lab staff, and the wonderful woman at the front desk, the rest really didn't have a clue about my treatment plan and consistently gave me wrong directions. I had to take my treatment and my knowledge of the process sees into my own hands time and time again.
Be prepared to spend more than you budgeted! Boston IVF is terrible at giving accurate numbers on ehat you'll spend and I am now double what I had budgeted. But with 9 frozen, high quality embryos, I have to keep going.
I can't count how many times the nursing staff and donor staff gave me inaccurate directions based on premenopausal women. Things like "let us know when your next period is" so we can move to the next step in the process, when I haven't had a period in over 4 years. It made it feel incredibly impersonal.
After many rounds of IUI with another doctor, I went through early menopause and needed to consider other options. From the first time I met with Dr. Berger, he laid out the options and consistently worked with me to choose the best one for my situation. My diagnosis with pre ovarian failure and donor egg donor sperm with a fresh transfer is what we did the first time around. I have nine Frozen embryos and dr. Berger will be doing my next transfer next week.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sharon)
After I had arranged for a known donor for sperm, Sharon left me a terrible message that broke my heart. I played the message 5 times because it was so confusing. She told me that my donor was approved and that we could move forward with the process. Then in the second breath, she said that the donor was not approved by the FDA because he's gay and lives in a European country where they have mad cow disease. So I wasn't sure what to think and was panicked because I had just flown this man over and paid for all of his testing. I felt like the information she shared with me should have been provided in advance of all of the expenditures. When I called her to ask for an explanation, it was inadequate and she didn't understand in the least what a confusing and upsetting situation she created. I immediately asked her to be removed from my care team.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Most of my testing was done at Waltham IVF. For the most part, the testing is readily available and at convenient times. All blood tests are done in the morning and unfortunately, the clinic is located in a place where rush hour traffic impacts the ability to get there on any weekday. Not only did I have to go in every 3 days for pregnancy tests, but when my pregnancy didn't work out I had to keep going back for HCG tests. So every morning this took hours out of my day. I finally asked if there was any way that I could get a simple blood test at my local doctors office or anywhere else. Again, I had to manage my own care and ask to use Quest Diagnostics for my blood test. It ended up that there is an office one block from my house and I could have saved so much time by going there in the first place. Another time, I was told by my donor coordinator to "come in for labs." So when I got there and signed in, I wasn't sure which box to check for testing. I wasn't sure if it was blood, ultrasound, ETC. So every time somebody came out and saw my name on the list with no check box, they ignored me. I sat there for an hour with no one checking the records to see what kind of test I needed. It was woefully inadequate and completely unprofessional.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
When I made the decision to move ahead with treatment, I told Dr. Berger that my goals were to spend $25,000 and to attempt the process three to four times. At this point, it has cost me twice as much and I've only gone through a fresh transfer one time with a pending frozen transfer scheduled for next week. No one at the clinic seem to be able to give me an accurate breakdown of costs at any point during my treatment even though I asked for it. And the information they provided was not laid out in a sensible way and did not take into consideration unique circumstances. My donor egg process was the part that was so much more expensive than I ever could have imagined. Boston IVF never gave me a realistic expectation of this additional cost .
As a single woman, the clinic I highly encourage me to only transfer one at a time for "social" reasons. They actually asked me what I would do with two children! It was offensive. In addition, when I asked about increased chances of having one child by transferring two embryos, they couldn't give me any statistics. This may be true of any doctor and not just Boston IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I've already mentioned the impersonal care and specific mistakes I felt like the clinic made. One of my biggest issues is that I never knew who was in charge of my care and which office to call. One time I got transferred 4 times back and forth between Waltham and South Shore. It was incredibly frustrating. Also, no one could give me an explanation about what to expect for my HCG numbers to reset to normal. I found the staff to be very limited in their knowledge, or if not limited in their knowledge, Limited in their willingness to explain the situation with any depth. Just know that you are going to have to really take control of your own care if you go to Boston IVF. Every interaction I had with dr. Berger was amazing, but love the majority of interactions I had with his staff were unsatisfactory. Unfortunately, my fertility acupuncturist tells me that this is the case with all of the clinics in the Boston area. Very poor customer service for the high price of treatment.
Waltham

Dr. DiGirolamo was very informative, straightforward, and matter of fact. She was compassionate and empathized with us, but focused discussions on the treatment. My husband likes numbers, facts, statistics, and focusing on the problem at hand while I prefer doctors who are friendly and make me feel like I matter. Despite these differences in preference, my husband and I both really liked Dr. DiGirolamo. She frequently let my husband and I discuss our options while she just listened quietly. She wouldn't interrupt us unless we asked her a question or she had relevant information to add. Also, she never tried to push us toward one treatment or option. She simply gave us the facts and let us make our own decision.
A strength of the clinic [Boston IVF] is that it seemed to be pretty state of the art and technically advanced (although I don't know how it actually compares to others). The clinic also felt professional and like a well-oiled machine (which can be a pro and a con)...There were maybe 2 or 3 people on the nursing staff that I dealt with frequently and then another 3 to 6 people I dealt with just once or twice. It was hard to keep them all straight. They were generally friendly and informative. My only way to contact them was by phone and they didn't always pick up, so that was annoying
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Make sure you write down your questions beforehand and ask everything you want to know more about. Sometimes she seems a bit rushed, but she will always take time to answer all of your questions and explain anything you don't understand.
The doctor gave us the information we needed to make decisions and was not judgmental. She empathized and answered all of our questions. She did seem a tiny bit rushed at times.
I did 2 rounds of IVF. The first cycle I used birth control pills for a month and then I think I did Lupron and Gonal-F injections once a day. The first cycle, many of the eggs retrieved were immature. Only a few embryos made it to Day 3 and we got a negative pregnancy test. Because of the low number of mature eggs, she changed my protocol for the second cycle. The second cycle I did not use birth control pills (she said it would suppress me too much). I forget what meds I used. During the stimulation period I had to do a micro-dose injection twice a day (Lupron?) and another injection (Gonal-F) once a day. I also had to wait a few hours longer between my trigger and retrieval than the first time, to let my eggs fully mature. I am now 14-weeks pregnant with a single baby.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
There were maybe 2 or 3 people on the nursing staff that I dealt with frequently and then another 3 to 6 people I dealt with just once or twice. It was hard to keep them all straight. They were generally friendly and informative. My only way to contact them was by phone and they didn't always pick up, so that was annoying, especially since infertility patients often have questions and are worried about everything. When I got a call about the test results (the negative and later the positive pregnancy test), the nurse who called with the news seemed genuinely disappointed/excited for me.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think the clinic recently changed ownership and their policies and procedures have changed for the worse. I had 2 IVF cycles (2 retrievals, 2 transfers), one in late 2016 and the other in early 2017. The first retrieval/transfer felt much more patient friendly than the second one. For the second retrieval, I felt much more like I was a number and they were trying to rush me out of there. An example is the first time they let me stay as long as I needed to recover and made sure I could pee before I left. The second time they got me out the door soon afterwards. The first time they had snacks in the waiting room and let me eat and drink as much as I wanted during recovery. The second time they still gave me a snack, but it was much more limited. They also used to have water and snacks in the waiting room for transfers and retrievals, but they didn't the second time I went. There wasn't even a pitcher of water in the waiting room anymore (which seemed silly since you're supposed to drink lots of water before a transfer). There were lots of little changes like these that felt like they were just trying to save money and made me feel like a number instead of a person. None of these things were deal breakers for me or that big of a deal, but it was disappointing to see these kinds of changes. A strength of the clinic is that it seemed to be pretty state of the art and technically advanced (although I don't know how it actually compares to others). The clinic also felt professional and like a well-oiled machine (which can be a pro and a con).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
The monitoring appointments were conveniently scheduled in the morning, so I could go before work (I think the hours were 6-9AM). It was kind of confusing how they scheduled the appointment times. They asked you to schedule a specific time, but then it was mostly just first come first served. It seemed like they didn't really care what time you were there during that window. For ultrasound appointments they seemed a bit more strict about the appointments and schedule. The blood work was kind of a free for all (first come first serve). Most of the time I only had to wait a few minutes (less than 10) to do the monitoring. Two or three times I had to wait for about an hour.
For each IVF cycle, the clinic charged $9000. My other costs (appointments, genetic testing, infertility testing, etc.) were a total of about $300 after my insurance coverage.
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
My doctor did not say much of anything about this issue. I had done a great deal of research about it beforehand, on my own, and was strongly in favor of doing a single transfer. Maybe the doctor didn't discuss it with us because it was clear we understood the pros and cons. At one point my husband and I disagreed and looked to her to provide her medical advice (or to act as the tiebreaker), and she mentioned the pros and cons but said it was entirely up to us. We did decide to do a single transfer both times, but I wish she had been a bit more insistent about the importance of doing a single transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
For one cycle, they forgot to call me and tell me some important, time-critical test results. If I remember correctly, it was Day 2 and I needed to know if I was going in for a Day 3 or Day 5 transfer. No one called me all day. The paper instructions they gave me said to call a certain number if I hadn't heard anything by 6 PM. I called that number at 6:15, and an answering service person told me it was after hours and I would have to call back the next day. After arguing with the answering service person for a while, she finally let me talk to the on-call doctor. That doctor looked up my information and gave me the next instructions I needed for my treatment. The issue was resolved, but brought me to tears and added a lot of stress and anxiety to an already very stressful time.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr Pauli is great! He's soft spoken and kind of serious but extremely kind. He was happy to try new things. He called us after hours to give results to tests and spoke to us at length about all upcoming procedures. I trust him implicitly.
The nurses [at IVF New England] are wonderful. They are prompt with responding to your voice messages. I know some people don't like that you have to leave a voice mail and your clinic calls you back, but I prefer it sometimes. My only tiny gripe is calling after hours and dealing with the after hours team. They don't really know your back story so aren't really helpful.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Don't be nervous to ask any question no matter what. He won't speak condescendingly and explains all angles of everything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr Pauli calls us personally after hours to give results of tests. He once called while he was on vacation.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did an antagonist protocol with 150iu of Menopur and 300iu of Gonal-f. We switched to a Lupron trigger from an HCG trigger because I was at risk of OHSS. We had done this protocol before but it was my best cycle so we tried it again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
The nurses are wonderful. They are prompt with responding to your voice messages. I know some people don't like that you have to leave a voice mail and your clinic calls you back, but I prefer it sometimes. My only tiny gripe is calling after hours and dealing with the after hours team. They don't really know your back story so aren't really helpful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
One weakness is that the satellite offices aren't as accessible as I'd like for monitoring appointments. It would be great if they opened the same time as the main clinic (It would be even greater if the main clinic opened about 30min earlier too) and if they were open on the weekends. The main clinic is over an hour away from me and the satellite is about a 20min drive so that's a bit of an irritation. And one major gripe is that the clinic recently closed and moved locations. We weren't given much notice. I'm not the biggest fan of the new locations and I will miss the old clinic. Change is inevitable I guess, I just would have liked more notice and a bit more information on how we would be affected. But I love my clinic. Everyone is so kind and they're very well organised. They're extremely responsive and I never felt like a number there.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Relatively efficient. A bit of a wait for blood work but nothing too crazy. The ultrasound techs are lovely.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Everything is covered under my insurance. PGD testing is covered as a reimbursement.
Describe Samuel Pauli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We've never had the privilege of the choice but Dr Pauli said that because we're doing PGD testing he would recommend transferring one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
It was a mistake that was quickly rectified. They thought that my husband didn't have a sperm sample. But we definitely did. We were being billed for it. By the time I called back to dispute they'd already gotten the correct information.

2017, Unknown Success
Dr Thornton has a great ability to explain complicated processes. I know the general gist of what happens but she literally drew out a map of the process. I know it's more complicated but it made it easier for me to follow ans understand. And she tells us like it is. She didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, she told me what I needed to hear...I just started. So the only protocols I started was first with the birth control pill. This is to "jump start" my ovaries. Once I get a period after stopping the pill, I'll get a blood test the next day and then I'll start the injections. The lady I spoke with about the injections was super helpful and figured out a way that I could do one injection a night with all the medication instead of 3 injections! Very helpful, I'm not a fan of needles.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Be ready to hear the real facts if you're in the grey area of becomming pregnant. She doesn't hide reality.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Dr Thornton didn't hide any realities from me because of my age. She told me things I needed to know and not pretend that it's garauntee that I'll become pregnant. And her staff are the nicest, warm, caring people. It's tough to go through this and everyone there treats you like a person, definitely not a number.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sonia)
She treated me with respect. Her and her team has a motherly, caring aspect about them which made me feel comfortable given what I'll be going through shortly. Just a great team to work with, all the way to the ultrasound team and the phlebotomists, they are fabulously talented and kept me calm at all times
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
While you may have an appt time for blood work, there's still a sign in sheet and you get taken in by the list. So If you need to get out of your appt quickly, it's good to get there a little earlier than your appt.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
My health insurance covered a good portion of appointments. I'm not sure if the cost yet going forward. Waltham is a certified wellness center and I get and extra 10k$ towards my lifetime IVF coverage
Describe Kim L. Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Waltham IVF only does single egg transfers. This reduces the risk of injury to the mother and babies should Multi births happen. This is fine by me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The only thing that happened and not sure where the error occurred, but tests were ordered as part of my husbands blood work and when they got the results, one of the tests didn't happen. The nurse said she wrote it down and couldn't explain why it wasn't done.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
[Dr. Samuel Pauli] Very detailed and thorough. Made numbered lists. Talked through all aspects of the situation with precision and compassion. Calming bedside manner -- not overly empathic, so seemed trustworthy...If you like someone who makes lists and is detailed, he is your doctor. I didn't want someone who would be overly emotional -- I wanted the news straight, and that's what I got...gave precise explanations and called to follow up
Small outpost of IVF New England and Boston IVF merger. I usually went to Lexington office (IVF NE) but could also go to Waltham office (Boston IVF) for blood work and ultrasounds. I VASTLY PREFERRED the staff at the Waltham office. Ultrasound techs were friendly and communicative, phlebotimists were skilled and fast...I'd come in for morning blood work and ultrasound, and nursing staff would call with results by 2 pm. Very clear communication, gave precise directions. The one thing that didn't happen is that we did not have an appointment to specifically walk me through each of the medications (but I figured it out).
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
gave precise explanations and called to follow up
My insurance required 2 IUIs before IVF. For IUI, used Letrozole and an Ovidrel trigger. Now in middle of IVF. Using Menopur and Gonal-F for daily injections. HCG and Lupron trigger. Cabrigolide to prevent OHSS, will use progesterone cream and estrogen patches to support transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
I have excellent insurance with a $4000 deductible. after my deductible was satisfied, everything was free. Office visits were $300-$500, blood work and ultrasounds were usually around $150. Medications were thousands.
Definitely said not to do more than 2 embryos. On the fence about 1 vs 2.

2017, Unknown Success
Dr Thornton explained the process thoroughly using language that I could understand. She even drew pictures which made it easy to understand a complicated process. She also was very direct and didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, she told me what I needed to hear. Since I am 43, nothing is a guarantee...They [team at Boston IVF] were sensitive to my situation and didn't treat me like the "next patient"...
They [Boston IVF] were sensitive to my situation and didn't treat me like the "next patient"...You will be making blood work appointments with set times, but there's a sign in sheer too. So if you need to get in and out, it's best to get there early and sign up first for your time slot. A strength they have is their phlebotomists.... they are absolutely wonderful for people who have anxieties about needles.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Don't go in with the expectation you absolutely will be able to get pregnant, there are tests to be done to see if you're a candidate or not
They were sensitive to my situation and didn't treat me like the "next patient"
I had to take the pill for two weeks to jump start the ovaries. Then once I got mt period, I started gonal f, HCG, cetrotide, and ovidrel. I needed to get my ovaries ready for egg retrieval. The meds made me feel tired, bloated, and a little nauseous. My ovaries were get getting enlarged. I get blood work and an ultrasound tomorrow to figure out the next round of injections.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sonia)
They are all great. From the front desk to the phlebotomist, to the nurses. They're sympathetic to how your feeling and speak in a very ca manor. They call and follow up with the information as they get it.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
You will be making blood work appointments with set times, but there's a sign in sheer too. So if you need to get in and out, it's best to get there early and sign up first for your time slot. A strength they have is their phlebotomists.... they are absolutely wonderful for people who have anxieties about needles. I hate them and they made it the most pleasant blood draw I've ever had
My appts are covered by my insurance . Normal dr appt were 25$.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My husband had blood work done and the nurse requested specific tests done. But one of the tests weren't performed so he had to get a second blood draw. They didn't explain why the test was missed

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
I cannot say enough positive feedback about Dr. Berger. He is a brilliant MD who respects all of his patients. He has been compassionate to both my wife and I throughout this heartbreaking journey of infertility. He stood by us when we decided to fight our insurance company for IVF coverage (since this was an infertility issue and not just because we lacked sperm) after a heartbreaking year of trying to conceive. He was also so supportive and positive after we suffered a miscarriage.
I typically speak with Kayla or Allison [nurses at Boston IVF] and they are both fantastic. They are knowledgeable and compassionate. Typically, if I am calling them it's because I need something and they are always so understanding. They always call you back and never seem to be rushed or annoyed by my many questions. There is a PACU nurse named Kris, that is an exceptional nurse and such a gift to the practice. She is also so compassionate and clearly chose the right field to practice in.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
If you are contemplating a consult or even a second opinion, I would highly recommend seeing Dr. Berger. I see that others say he can run behind schedule, just plan for the time. Once in the room with him, you will have his undivided attention. That is much more important to me than someone running on time. I expect that from routine visits but not from something as emotional as a visit with your RE.
Dr. Berger is a kind and compassionate physician. He definitely treats you like a human and remembers you both on the phone and in person. Although the center is busy, I have never felt "like just another number"
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kayla)
I typically speak with Kayla or Allison and they are both fantastic. They are knowledgeable and compassionate. Typically, if I am calling them it's because I need something and they are always so understanding. They always call you back and never seem to be rushed or annoyed by my many questions. There is a PACU nurse named Kris, that is an exceptional nurse and such a gift to the practice. She is also so compassionate and clearly chose the right field to practice in.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Everything was covered by insurance after I completed 6 IUI that was out of pocket
We did eSET for the 1st 2 transfers as it was required by BCBS of MA. We would have done 2 embryos after the first transfer failed and he supported that.
South Shore

Overall my experience of him [Dr. Berger] is that he is conceited and too busy. When on the rare occasion we did get to see or speak to Dr Berger he seemed smug and smirked when you asked questions. My experience as a patient was that I was treated as a number. We had two failed IUI's and a miscarriage with our first IVF cycle and barely ever spoke to the actual doctor let alone see him. He has his nurses do everything...
During my 10 months under Dr Bergers [at Boston IVF] care we had something go wrong with every single appointment. From smaller things such as forgetting to book our appointments, calling and asking about procedures I didn't have, not remembering why I was in for certain appointments - to larger things like having me wait over an hour before an IUI transfer and not telling me why or that it was ok, nurses thinking I was doing a fresh transfer 5 minutes before surgery when we paid and signed for a freeze all PGS, cancelling appointments with the actual doctor 2 minutes after telling me I am miscarrying (just to name a FEW instances).
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Brian Berger was my first meeting about IVF. It took me 3 weeks to get an appointment to see him. During my initial IVF meeting, mixed with being new to it and Dr Berger putting on a show like he cared about me, I was excited to choose him as my doctor and get started on making a baby. Overall my experience of him is that he is conceited and too busy. When on the rare occasion we did get to see or speak to Dr Berger he seemed smug and smirked when you asked questions. My experience as a patient was that I was treated as a number. We had two failed IUI's and a miscarriage with our first IVF cycle and barely ever spoke to the actual doctor let alone see him. He has his nurses do everything. Which makes them seem overwhelmed and uninterested in patients as humans. During my 10 months under Dr Bergers care we had something go wrong with every single appointment. From smaller things such as forgetting to book our appointments, calling and asking about procedures I didn't have, not remembering why I was in for certain appointments - to larger things like having me wait over an hour before an IUI transfer and not telling me why or that it was ok, nurses thinking I was doing a fresh transfer 5 minutes before surgery when we paid and signed for a freeze all PGS, cancelling appointments with the actual doctor 2 minutes after telling me I am miscarrying (just to name a FEW instances).
Don't have high expectations
Of the 10 months I was under Brian burgers care I saw him a total of three times. One of which was only because the nurse that I know there insisted that he see us. You are not allowed to talk to the doctor. During the 2 1/2 months that are pregnancy consisted of he canceled appointments that were previously set to talk with him. Different nurses called me all of the time and everyone contradicted each other. No one ever knew who I was or why they were calling me. Does anyone look at a chart there?
Before beginning any IVF treatments Berger ordered us do blood tests, semen analysis and hysterosalpingogram to see how my Fallopian tubes were. Blood test came back good and tubes were open. At our follow up he said my husband had low morphology and that there is nothing to help that. Suggested we do anywhere from 1 to 3 IUI's then IVF. We did two IUI's - first one failed second was a chemical pregnancy. There was nothing done after these. No additional testing. No uterine exams. We proceeded with IVF cycle which we did egg retrieval process, freeze all with Pre genetic screening, and implant. Dr Berger used estrogen pills and patches as well as progesterone in oil and crinone. My lining was a problem as it wasn't getting thick enough but Berger never increased my dosage or checked my uterus. Just eventually said it was layered enough but never reached 8mm. After an abnormal pregnancy and miscarriage at 8 1/2 weeks my HCG levels were going down very slow - only thing done here was blood tests. I found out after I left Boston IVF that there was fluid in my lining. That was never brought to my attention at Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The only reason I kept my sanity with the nurses at Boston IVF was because I knew Dr Bergers nursing assistant and could text or call her with all my questions when they went unanswered. Other people wouldn't be that lucky. The nursing staff is young and they have high turnover. There were different nurses calling all of the time from Quincy and Waltham. They get agitated with questions and ALL of them contradict what the other says and what the Doctor says. When they call it's as if they don't even bother to open your file beforehand. They call and ask about procedures you didn't have, they call with results and don't even know why you were in for that appointment, they misplace documents, they forget to make your appointments and they lack compassion in every sense.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: they call when they say they will Weaknesses: take time to get insurance approval, takes weeks for an appointment with the doctor if THEY decide you can even have one, unorganized, lack compassion, contradict each other, it's run like a factory.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Covered by insurance. Insurance approvals took a while. They didn't willingly offer information if it required you to pay out of pocket. I think all options should be presented and the patient should decide if they want to pay for it or not
The doctor made it known that he doesn't promote multiple embryo transfer as there are risks involved. One of the NP's also have us a lecture on why not to do multiple embryo transfer. When we were approved by insurance for single embryo transfer I asked the financial coordinator if it doesn't work can we implant 2 next time - she said no. I then asked if my husband and I were willing to pay for a second embryo to be implanted could we do that and the financial coordinator said no. After our single embryo miscarriage I found out this was not true. We are absolutely entitled to pay out of pocket for embryo transfers.
Boston

During our first cycle [at Boston IVF], the financial coordinator left our paperwork on the fax machine (which was supposed to be sent to the insurance company for approval) and she left for vacation for 2 weeks, so it pushed our whole cycle back a few weeks and it kept me on birth control for way longer than I should have been. I had two nurses call with two different timelines to kick off the first cycle with conflicting recommendations. When I addressed it and asked which one I should go with, one nurse criticized the other nurse's plan.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. Steven Bayer was great in the beginning with the game plan and giving us lots of hope in the treatment plan. After that point, we did not speak with him, see him or work with him until he called us with negative results. During our follow up meeting he did not seem hopeful or committed to finding the right solution.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Go to another clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. Boston IVF felt like a factory, where my husband and I were just a number. Dr. Bayer did his best in the beginning to give us hope and lay out the game plan, but the first cycle was very disorganized (mainly with the financial coordinator and nurse instructions) and we did not talk to Dr. Bayer at all during the process until he called to tell us both cycles failed. Our last follow up appt with Dr. Bayer was very discouraging and he did not give us any hope.
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. Birth control (which backfired), injections and a healthy lifestyle. Birth control to suppress the ovaries. Injections to stimulate follicle growth. A healthy lifestyle to give us the best possible chance.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were good at answering my questions when I had them, but in general, it felt a bit disorganized because there were several nurses on staff so I didn't feel anyone, in particular, was really monitoring my progress or had a handle on my treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
**to clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing a standard IVF process** Strengths: good reputation, big facility with local offices (e.g. they had an office in Quincy which was convenient for us for blood and ultra-sounds) and I loved their acupuncture team in the Domar center. Weaknesses: because Boston IVF is so massive, as a patient I felt like a number being funneled through a factory. No one really seemed to "own" us. Stephen Bayer was very disconnected from our process and my last follow up meeting with him to discuss our failed cycle was awful, not helpful/hopeful and he basically walked me out hysterically crying. I left feeling like a failure with no clear game plan, so my husband and I decided it was time to work with a new facility and team of doctors.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
Fortunately, our insurance covers up to 6 rounds of IVF and genetic testing due to my husband's translocation, so we only had to pay co-pays most of the time.
Describe Steven Bayer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Unfortunately, we didn't make it to this stage during either IVF cycle.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
**To clarify, we were not undergoing cancer treatments. I must have clicked the wrong Boston IVF option. We were just undergoing standard IVF treatments. During our first cycle, the financial coordinator left our paperwork on the fax machine (which was supposed to be sent to the insurance company for approval) and she left for vacation for 2 weeks, so it pushed our whole cycle back a few weeks and it kept me on birth control for way longer than I should have been. I had two nurses call with two different timelines to kick off the first cycle with conflicting recommendations. When I addressed it and asked which one I should go with, one nurse criticized the other nurse's plan.
Steven Bayer
Boston

Dr. Wright has always been clear and direct with us, but is also careful to speak to us in a compassionate manner. She is very knowledgeable, consistently updating us on recent studies that relate to us and has always been very good at listening to our concerns and answered all our questions...be aware that she will not be doing many of your procedures as they are partnered with a bigger clinic that has other doctors for IVF egg retrieval’s, transfers iui’s etc.
The staff in this office [IVF New England] are incredible, they know you by name and treat you with sincere compassion...It’s a small clinic, but I never had to wait long for appointments. They do book up quickly so it generally takes about 2-3 weeks to get an appointment...Recently one of the part time nurses failed to call in a prescription for my thyroid medication....Brenda is amazing as a nurse coordinator and I truly felt that she cared for us to have a positive experience and outcome.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Be prepared with questions, Dr. wright will give you an honest opinion, so it’s important to know what questions to ask to help you understand where she is coming from. Also be aware that she will not be doing many of your procedures as they are partnered with a bigger clinic that has other doctors for IVF egg retrieval’s, transfers iui’s etc.
The staff in this office are incredible, they know you by name and treat you with sincere compassion.
We tried 2 rounds of oral pills, 1 month of clomid with timed intercourse, and 1 month of a higher dose of letrozoyle with timed intercourse. We got pregnant with letrozoyle, but miscarried shortly after. This was our 9th miscarriage so we quickly moved on to IVF. In our IVF cycles we used birth control for two weeks in my first cycle then added follistim 150units and menopur 150units for the first 5 days of my first cycle and then doubled each dose days 6-12 while also using cetrotide. Due to high progesterone we opted for a freeze all cycle. We had 15 eggs, 12 fertilized and 1 BB embryo made it to freeze. Our second IVF cycle we used menopur 150 and follistim 300 from day 1 of the cycle. We continued for 8 days before adding cetrotide in for days 8-10. We retrieved 13 eggs, 8 fertilized and transferred 2 day 5 morulas. We received a positive pregnancy test with doubling hcg and but are currently only 5 weeks along.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Brenda Connolly )
Brenda is amazing as a nurse coordinator and I truly felt that she cared for us to have a positive experience and outcome. She always treated me like a friend more than a patient which is hard to come by. The other nurses were kind, and willing to answers my questions, and the ultrasound techs were always very kind as well.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It’s a small clinic, but I never had to wait long for appointments. They do book up quickly so it generally takes about 2-3 weeks to get an appointment, so that’s something I had to stay on top of, especially for follow up appointments after treatment.
Fortunately most of our treatment was forever by insurance, but I believe each IVF cycle with icsi was about $9,000
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr. Wright prefers to transfer single embryos, unless there is a quality issue. In our case there was, so we transferred 2. She was flexible in adjusting our protocol from cycle to cycle to improve our chances based on how my body responded.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Recently one of the part time nurses failed to call in a prescription for my thyroid medication. I was understanding of the error, because it was just before a holiday and this particular nurse was the only nurse working and I’m sure had a lot to juggle. These things happen and we can’t always eliminate human error, that’s why I think it’s important to know your stuff as a patient because no one will be more on top of your care than you will.
Lexington

Dr. Penzias did take the time to answer my questions but I felt as though I was expected to perform my own research on the IVF process rather than being provided with options to consider.... I was not able to contact Dr. Penzias directly during the process and was required to work with the nursing staff...Due to my bicornuate uterus I was supposed to have an ultrasound to confirm that I have 2 kidneys. This test was never included in my ultrasound testing to confirm the bicornuate uterus.
[Boston IVF] Strengths: Ultrasound and blood testing begins early in the morning...Testing is done quickly and is staffed to support each patient even when they are early for their appointment. Billing and insurance verification is efficient. Domar center provides nutritional counseling and acupuncture in one location. Weaknesses: . Results of ultrasounds and blood test results were not discussed regarding the implications of fertility or responsiveness but only put in the context of the IVF progress.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias did take the time to answer my questions but I felt as though I was expected to perform my own research on the IVF process rather than being provided with options to consider. I do not feel as though the IVF treatment was tailored to my husband and I's specific fertility challenges. I was not able to contact Dr. Penzias directly during the process and was required to work with the nursing staff. We had a Day 3 fresh transfer in round 2 without prior understanding of this strategy being utilized. The Day 3 fresh transfer felt like a financial decision to ensure complete billing of the cycle rather than a decision that would result in a successful pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Consider a second opinion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
During my cycles I only had contact with the nursing staff, despite a change protocols the drugs ordered were incorrect, we did a day 3 embryo transfer on cycle 2 despite prior poor embryo survival in the first round.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Bicornuate uterus requiring single embryo transfer. Cycle 1 started on 06-Jul-2017: OCP/Antagonist - birth control, 375 Gonal F + 75 Menopur, cetrotide, ovidrel. Crinone vaginal progesterone. Resulted in retrieval of 9 eggs, 5 fertilized (ICSI), 3 embryos made it to Day 3, 2 embryos made it to Day 5. Fresh transfer of 1 embryo at Day 5. Acupuncture twice after embryo transfer. Remaining embryo did not survive for freezing. Menstruation occurred 4-5 days after transfer. Negative pregnancy test. Cycle 2 started on 08-Oct-2017: OCP/Microdose Lupron - birth control, microdose Lupron 10 IU (am & pm), 475 IU Gonal F, 75 IU menopur, Ovidrel. Resulted in retrieval of 12 eggs (10 mature). Intramuscular progesterone injections twice a day. Two eggs fertilized (ICSI) with fresh transfer at Day 3 of one embryo. Second embryo was necrotic at Day 5.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda Merchant)
After completing the birth control for cycle 1 the nurse informed me that we would not be abel to proceed with the cycle because my husband had not completed the Counsyl screening. At no point had this testing been communicated as a contingency for proceeding with the cycle. I asked to speak with the Dr. Penzias but received a call from the nursing manager explaining that Amanda had mistakenly not given me the correct information regarding the completion of the Counsyl testing being a requirement. The nursing manager gave me the option to either waive my husband's testing or to have the testing done as soon as possible while the IVF cycle continued. After my embryo transfer I was not told to schedule a follow-up visit with Dr. Penzias which resulted in my not being able to proceed to the next cycle until an additional month had passed. Before cycle 2 I shared my concerns with Dr. Penzias that Amanda seemed to be disorganized and the communication was not ideal. I met with Amanda to discuss the next cycle and I asked her whether I was able to combine the drugs for the second cycle and if it was possible for me to utilize any drugs I had left over from the previous cycle. Amanda indicated that she did not know and referred me to the pharmacy. The pharmacy stated that my clinic should provide a response about mixing of medications. The second cycle started with my receiving Cetrotide despite this medication being removed from my protocol. It was confirmed that the error was in the orders coming from Dr. Penzias' office. For both cycles I was given the incorrect time for my embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: Ultrasound and blood testing begins early in the morning which is convenient for testing before work. Testing is done quickly and is staffed to support each patient even when they are early for their appointment. Billing and insurance verification is efficient. Domar center provides nutritional counseling and acupuncture in one location. Weaknesses: You never see the same surgeon or embryologist. Contact with your doctor is extremely limited. Results of ultrasounds and blood test results were not discussed regarding the implications of fertility or responsiveness but only put in the context of the IVF progress.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
$1200 for the first cycle including preliminary testing. I have not yet been billed for the second cycle.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Utilized single embryo transfer due to bicornuate uterus making multiple pregnancy a risk to my health.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Due to my bicornuate uterus I was supposed to have an ultrasound to confirm that I have 2 kidneys. This test was never included in my ultrasound testing to confirm the bicornuate uterus. For both cycles I was given the incorrect appointment time for my embryo transfer. The first time I was told to arrive at 7:30 but the appointment wasn't until 9 am. The second time I was told to arrive at 8:30 but the appointment wasn't scheduled until 10:45. I received the inappropriate medications for cycle 2. For cycle 2 I was not given my pregnancy test results until almost 5 days after the test.
Waltham

He [Dr. Penzias] really took the time to explain every part of our care....He showed us a power point with different statistics concerning sub fertility and seeing it on the screen really helped me understand the process....During our consultation he knew we had done 4 rounds of clomid without any pregnancies, so he suggested we try Letrozole for one month and then an IUI....He was also available for phone consultations which were really helpful.
The only frustrating part about the clinics [Boston IVF] were the locations....at times for treatment, I actually would have to travel to Albany (over 3 hours from my house) to do the procedures. I worked with MIchelle primarily....She always called me back same day and was really good with answering all my questions.... I also really liked that my clinic had a portal where all my information was stored. That made it easy to upload blood work orders, instructions for injections, etc.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
As a patient there were times where his eagerness definitely encouraged me. He listened to me when I told him I had a really hard time being on Clomid and he suggested Letrozole. When I started Letrozole he was very interested and concerned about how I was doing on that (I did very well on it). He explained to me why he thought Letrozole was a better fit for me than Clomid and that helped me a lot. He also explained why I wasn't ovulating every month and did a really good job going through the idea of sub fertility (people who are experiencing infertility with a diagnosis). At times I felt frustrated by our lack of diagnosis, but because he spent so much time explaining that we were not infertile but sub fertile, it made me feel much better.
Ask questions. Any questions. He can answer them!
He really took the time to explain every part of our care. He even met with us in between treatments to talk about next steps if our IUI did not work. He showed us a power point with different statistics concerning sub fertility and seeing it on the screen really helped me understand the process. Had he just spoken to us with no visuals, I would have had a really hard time following along. He was also available for phone consultations which were really helpful.
During our consultation he knew we had done 4 rounds of clomid without any pregnancies, so he suggested we try Letrozole for one month and then an IUI. I was very fortunate that my IUI worked on the first round. I have no idea if it was the Letrozole that helped more or the IUI. For my second pregnancy, I want to try going on Letrozole for a month with intercourse to see if that works.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
I worked with MIchelle primarily. She was the person I spoke with the most. She always called me back same day and was really good with answering all my questions. She was good with giving me all the information that I would need, but not overwhelming me either. I also really liked that my clinic had a portal where all my information was stored. That made it easy to upload blood work orders, instructions for injections, etc.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The only frustrating part about the clinics were the locations. I went to the Boston IVF Center in Syracuse initially but the clinic doesn't have their own location (they share a building with Upstate Medical Center). Often times my doctor wasn't available to meet in Syracuse (because he was actually based in Massachusetts!) and so at times for treatment, I actually would have to travel to Albany (over 3 hours from my house) to do the procedures. When I initially contacted Boston IVF- Syracuse, I thought everything would be done in Syracuse. However, if I wasn't willing to drive to Albany, my care would have been delayed. So we made the sacrifice and traveled to Albany.
Our insurance covered mostly everything (we have amazing insurance). But I do remember looking at the EOB and between blood tests, genetic testing, prescription, the sample collection, and the IUI- we were close to $5,000. We only paid deductibles in the range of $20-40.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
My husband had to drive to Albany for a genetic test and when he arrived the nurse didn't take blood for the genetic test. She took blood for a different test (the wrong one). Our primary nurse was really nice about it and felt terrible that he drove over 6 hours that day (since Albany is 3 hours from our house) and to make it right they sent him a genetic spit test.
Waltham

Dr Pauli is a very science based doctor. He wanted to stick to what has been scientifically researched in terms of supplements and remedies. He listened me for my suggestions and agreed to do a procedure the way I wanted...Dr Pauli explained why it is so hard for us to conceive and was very realistic but in a nice way. He agreed to do the 7th IVF just because I wanted to. At the same time, he blurted out clinic’s success rate was gonna go down with my 7th try.
I liked the regular sonographers Annie and Deb. They told me what they were seeing and didn’t leave me wondering how many follicles I have or how big they were. The lab [at IVF New England] was usually very quick. I didn’t like the way the waiting room was. Various people were waiting and sometimes I felt sensitive to what others were there for...They were always pleasant to talk to. They were organized and answered any questions I had patiently. Their return calls were always prompt.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He is very nice. But don’t ask him about supplements and other things you would do to increase your fertility.
Dr Pauli explained why it is so hard for us to conceive and was very realistic but in a nice way. He agreed to do the 7th IVF just because I wanted to. At the same time, he blurted out clinic’s success rate was gonna go down with my 7th try. I know he said it jokingly. Except this statement, he treated us nicely.
Because I had already had four IVF cycles before I saw him, dr Pauli reviewed what worked well and didn’t work well for me from the previous cycles. He did both antagonist and birth control for prep. Used Gonal-f (follistim) as FSH and menopur and lupron. I used clamid and femera as well. When I used femera and small dose of follistim, I had day 5 transfer for the first time although it ended in negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I liked the regular sonographers Annie and Deb. They told me what they were seeing and didn’t leave me wondering how many follicles I have or how big they were. The lab was usually very quick. I didn’t like the way the waiting room was. Various people were waiting and sometimes I felt sensitive to what others were there for.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
It was about $10,000 for a complete cycle plus testing and lab. My insurance covered almost all of the full cycle.
None
Lexington

Since I had only two embryos I had assumed one stopped growing. When I asked he said nope it's fine but dr Zimon changed you to one. I was so angry. I hate confrontation and I felt like I was put on the spot and had to defend myself and fight for my original plan. I had a chemical that cycle and had a phone follow up that was very brief with dr Zimon. I raised concerns and she brushed them off. Cycle two I had the exact same results. Same amount of eggs (I was told 8 but they were wrong, they got 5 again) Dr Zimon was the dr on rotation for the day of my 2nd transfer and it also happened to be her last day at he practice. She didn't bother to mention that to me and I found out my dr had quit on Facebook! I feel like her quiting was a blessing in disguise because I absolutely love my new dr. He spent almost an hour on the phone with me answering every question and concern.
...She [Dr Alison Zimon] didn't bother to mention that to me and I found out my dr had quit on Facebook! I feel like her quiting was a blessing in disguise because I absolutely love my new dr. He spent almost an hour on the phone with me answering every question and concern...They [Boston IVF] are very efficient. I don't lived near an office so I get blood and scans done locally. It's very convenient. Unless it's a weekend.
How was your experience with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
She was very nice and personable when we met for a consultation. Our next appointment after testing was quick and to the point. All communication after that was with her nurses. My first problem with her and what made me lose her trust happened at my first transfer. She changed our agreed upon plan last minute. We agreed on single embryo transfer of a 5 day blast or two embryos if day 3. I showed up on day three and the random dr that was doing my transfer told me we were transferring one. Since I had only two embryos I had assumed one stopped growing. When I asked he said nope it's fine but dr Zimon changed you to one. I was so angry. I hate confrontation and I felt like I was put on the spot and had to defend myself and fight for my original plan. I had a chemical that cycle and had a phone follow up that was very brief with dr Zimon. Cycle two I had the exact same results. Same amount of eggs (I was told 8 but they were wrong, they got 5 again).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alison Zimon at Boston IVF?
Consult she was friendly but never spoke with her again until follow up for failed cycle. She kept the call quick.
Describe the protocols Alison Zimon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I have a low AMH of .8 but I am only 31 so she wasn't worried about egg quality. Based on my AFC of 10 she was very confident that we would get around 10 eggs. First cycle was bcp/antagonist with 225 gonal and 20 HCG. I only stimmed for 6 days, triggering with HCG on day 7. I only used two doses of cetrotide. Retrieved 5 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized, transferred 2, chemical Cycle two we had planned estrogen patch protocol. I went for bloodwork to confirm ovulation then I was to start the estrogen patch for a few days, then add cetrotide before period. I got my period early so on cycle day 1 she had me put on estrogen patch then I started gonal f at 375 the next day with 40 HCG. She didn't send me for a scan until day 5 on which day she increased my gonal to 450 with 40 HCG. Stimmed 6 days again, trigger with ovidrel on day 7. 5 eggs retrieved 2 fertilized (didn't tell me how many were mature) transferred both (excellent grades) and had a negative beta. No follow up because she left the practice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
Minor prescription mix ups but they are overall awesome. I was told 8 eggs at my second retrieval but it was only 5. They went through hell when Zimon left the practice so there was a few rocky days of missed callbacks but overall they recovered quickly and are very helpful
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They are very efficient. I don't live near an office so I get blood and scans done locally. It's very convenient. Unless it's a weekend. —————————————————————-———————————-—————————————————————————————————
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Zimon at Boston IVF.
I have insurance coverage and ended up spending $800 first cycle $1100 second.
Describe Alison Zimon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
She really pushed me to one. I chose two of day 3 transfers. Since I only got two embryos each time I felt good about putting both in.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Surprise changes to protocol. I thought I was doing the same type of estrogen priming I did before but I was actually changed to luteal estrogen and wouldn't have known if I didn't ask questions.
Alison Zimon
Cape Cod

He [Dr. Paul] was incredibly knowledgeable. He took the time to go over our five previous cycles in great detail, including dosing and why he thought our outcomes were what they were. He was quick to adjust my doses when my terrible ovaries were not responding well to stims, and was very candid about the fact that my retrieval might not be successful due to my ovaries being displaced by adhesions from endometriosis.
The staff [at IVF New England]\ is mostly awesome. There was one ultrasound tech in the Brookline office who was young and super unprofessional but every other person I encountered was amazing. Every phlebotomist, secretary, ultrasound tech (except for that one), and nurse was compassionate and efficient and just all around awesome. I don’t have any weaknesses to comment on.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He was incredibly knowledgeable. He took the time to go over our five previous cycles in great detail, including dosing and why he thought our outcomes were what they were. He was quick to adjust my doses when my terrible ovaries were not responding well to stims, and was very candid about the fact that my retrieval might not be successful due to my ovaries being displaced by adhesions from endometriosis. The best was the voicemail I got from him wishing me a happy and healthy pregnancy about a week after I was released from the clinic, that and the fact that he personally called me to talk about my fertilization report. And let’s not forget that it took my last doctor eight embryos over five transfers to get me a live birth, and it took Dr Pauli just two eSETs to give me the gift of my second daughter, who is due in less than two weeks.
Take the time to ask questions, because he will answer absolutely every single one of them candidly.
He genuinely cared about our situation, and he took plenty of time to go over every detail I asked for.
We did an antagonist protocol with very high doses of stims for over a week, I think I stimmed for 10 or 11 days? HCG trigger, retrieval went well, fresh eSET resulted in a chemical but I’ve never had luck with fresh transfers. Second transfer was a successful frozen eSET, used PIO for the first time, old doc had me always using Crinone. Also used baby aspirin for the first time.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were great. They were going through some staffing changes so I was never sure who to ask for specifically, but luckily I know one of the nurses personally (mom of a friend) and even though she wasn’t on my team she stepped in and helped me out tremendously whenever I needed to speak with someone directly.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The staff is mostly awesome. There was one ultrasound tech in the Brookline office who was young and super unprofessional but every other person I encountered was amazing. Every phlebotomist, secretary, ultrasound tech (except for that one), and nurse was compassionate and efficient and just all around awesome. I don’t have any weaknesses to comment on.
Covered 100% by insurance
Our original plan was actually to transfer two at a time given my history, but my insurance limited us to eSET because of my age (under 35) and prior successful pregnancy. He did originally suggest eSET but after going over my history (three transfers of two embryos at once resulting in just one singleton) agreed that two was probably safe for me. I’m glad we ultimately didn’t take that path though!
Lexington

We didn't get to transfer during my treatment with Dr. Glatstein...He didn't make any adjustments to protocols, just rushed through 3 of the more common types (antagonist, estrogen priming, microdose lupron) and when none of the 3 resulted in a pregnancy on the first attempt, he didn't try to adjust anything, he just told me I would not have success with my own eggs... His bedside manner when we didn't succeed was odd and overly sugar coated, wishing me "condolences"
Boston IVF in Lexington is great, I haven't had any issues. I have gone there for my monitoring appointments and my appointments with my doctor. I've gone to the Waltham location for egg retrievals and transfers. Haven't had any problems there either...We didn't get to transfer during my treatment with Dr. Glatstein...He didn't make any adjustments to protocols, just rushed through 3 of the more common types (antagonist, estrogen priming, microdose lupron) and when none of the 3 resulted in a pregnancy on the first attempt, he didn't try to adjust anything, he just told me I would not have success with my own eggs
How was your experience with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
Dr. Glatstein was not creative at all with his approach to my treatment. Because I was older, he put me on the highest levels of medications he could for the 3 standard protocols he used. His bedside manner when we didn't succeed was odd and overly sugar coated, wishing me "condolences". I definitely felt talked down to when we met and it made me reluctant to ask additional questions. It seemed to me like he wanted me out of his care as quickly as possible as an "older" patient. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone over 35 for that reason.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
If you're older than 35, please don't waste your time. Do your research and find another provider who will approach your care thoughtfully and creatively.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF?
I felt like Dr. Glatstein didn't put a lot of thought into my treatment, that I was immediately put into the bucket of being "old" and untreatable (I started meeting with Dr. Glatstein when I was 40). He didn't make any adjustments to protocols, just rushed through 3 of the more common types (antagonist, estrogen priming, microdose lupron) and when none of the 3 resulted in a pregnancy on the first attempt, he didn't try to adjust anything, he just told me I would not have success with my own eggs.
Describe the protocols Isaac Glatstein used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Standard antagonist protocol using birth control pre cycle, Menopur, Follastim during the cycle and Ganirelix toward the end. Only 1 follicle grew, converted to IUI and wasn't successful. Estrogen priming protocol next, with MDHCG, Follastim and Ganirelix. Egg retrieval resulted in 1 fertilized egg that stopped growing before Day 5. MDLupron protocol for the third round. MDHCG, MDLupron, Follastim. 2 eggs retrieved, 1 fertilized. Didn't make it to Day 5 PGS testing.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isaac Glatstein at Boston IVF.
Mostly covered under my health insurance. PGS testing was out of pocket.
Describe Isaac Glatstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We didn't get to transfer during my treatment with Dr. Glatstein
Isaac Glatstein