Genetic counseling: Offered
South Weymouth, MA 02190
Stratham
75 Francis Street
Stratham, NH 03885
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Brigham & Women's Hospital to a friend?

I went to Dr. Gargulio because I wanted my tubal ligation reversed. ... I had an initial visit with Dr. Gargulio where we discussed IVF or tubal reanastemosis, with my very strong preference being the surgery. ... Dr. Gargulio was incredibly warm, kind, and extremely empathetic. Instead of pressuring me into IVF like three other doctors did, he listened to my reasons for wanting my tubal ligation reversed and ultimately agreed with and validated my choice.
This is part of the Brigham and Women's hospital in Boston. ... The staff in the day surgery center were fantastic, they are committed to excellence and clear communication, which will prevent mistakes. Outstanding facility. ... I called the billing department, they acknowledged it was an error, apologized, and told me to ignore the bill. ... Everyone I spoke to was incredibly helpful and this is something that happens with pretty much every practitioner I see with my health coverage.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
As I mentioned, Dr. Garguilo has a phenomenal bedside manner. I cannot get over how incredibly kind he is, and how positive I felt every time I left an appointment. He is very honest and encouraging and evaluated me as an individual rather than a statistic. He kept my husband involved in everything, including visits to see him in the waiting room both before and after my procedure (I had a robotic tubal reanastemosis done, not IUI, but that's not a selection on this web site). When I brought up an issue with billing, something that I did NOT feel was part of his performance but wanted him to know, he immediately took steps to have me speak with someone who could help. Dr. Gargulio is a fantastic doctor and I highly recommend him to anyone looking to have a tubal ligation reversed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
My one piece of advice is to not bother calling anyone else - call Dr. Gargulio's office. I went through three doctors - one of whom treated me so poorly that I had given up on ever having children again - and my only regret is that I hadn't found him sooner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Describe the protocols Antonio Gargiulo used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
I would like to repeat that I didn't have a fertility procedure or analysis done, but this particular website doesn't allow for that. I went to Dr. Gargulio because I wanted my tubal ligation reversed. The procedure had been done by my Ob/Gyn when I was in an abusive relationship (and I felt pressured by her nurse to have it done instead of another method of birth control) and began to regret it as soon as that relationship ended. I had an initial visit with Dr. Gargulio where we discussed IVF or tubal reanastemosis, with my very strong preference being the surgery. I was given some statistical information, then came back for a pre-operative visit where risks and statistics were discussed in further depth, and I signed my consent. I then had my surgical visit, followed by a post-operative visit where I was told that I can schedule a dye test to ensure my tubes remained open at my convenience. I am still within one month of post-op, so I don't have any results aside from the overwhelming satisfaction of having my fallopian tubes intact.
I had a different nurse at each visit. All of the nurses were very positive and up-beat, with excellent attitudes. Everyone I saw was capable and pleasant to be around. My post-op nurse, Sparkle, was fantastic (for what little I remember from my post-operative haze). I have nothing but good things to say regarding any of the nurses.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This is part of the Brigham and Women's hospital in Boston. I can't think of a single weakness of the facility that isn't tied into my personal preferences. The staff in the day surgery center were fantastic, they are committed to excellence and clear communication, which will prevent mistakes. Outstanding facility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
There was a one time bill of (approximately) $8,500, which would include a refund if I did not require an overnight stay. This included my consultation, pre and post op appointments, the surgery, and a hystogram (dye test) following the surgery.
Describe Antonio Gargiulo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This is not applicable to my situation. My doctor's approach of using a robot to perform my tubal ligation reversal laprascopically made my recovery time quick and easy, with a much lower risk of complications and infection.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Only two things went wrong at this clinic, one of which was a simple error that had no negative outcome on my treatment and one that was resolved expediently. The first was a simple clerical error, the wrong doctor was put on my appointment sheet for my upcoming appointments. I called to verify that I was seeing Dr. Gargulio, and if I was not to please call me. There was no affect on my treatment or care. The second is because I have a unique insurance situation, which many places do not know how to handle. I received a bill less than a week from my surgery, which stated my information had been processed through my insurance and this was my responsibility. I called the billing department, they acknowledged it was an error, apologized, and told me to ignore the bill. I mentioned this to Dr. Gargulio, who had me speak to his billing manager (I forget her exact title), who then checked into it for me herself, apologized for the error, and let me know that it was being taken care of. Everyone I spoke to was incredibly helpful and this is something that happens with pretty much every practitioner I see with my health coverage.
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

2019 - 2020
Dr. Ashby is as knowledgeable as they come and it shows in her delivery. She is kind and patient, has good bedside manner and is caring but she is also direct and to the point and doesn't sugarcoat things but she is flexible and listens to the concerns of the patient....2 round of IUI on clomid, meds for retrieval were minimal with desired results, mock transfer to measure placement. Retrieval and fertilization without ICSI for first round. We did PGS so froze embroys after Day 6.
Some of the nurses here [at Brigham & Women's Hospital] are wonderful!... My biggest issue with this clinic is communication. It is very hard to get in touch with them, you speak with a different nurse most times and there is no portal so the only way to get in touch with them is to leave a message and wait for them to call you back which can take hours and sometimes days. In person however they are generally on time and very kind.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Come ready with questions, be open and honest.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby is very invested in her patients care and takes the time to get to know you and your partner
Describe the protocols Rachel Ashby used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Some of the nurses here are wonderful! Grace is incredible, Carole is lovely and the ultrasound techs are all great. A few of them were a little rough around the edges and some felt like they don't know what they are talking about or have to ask other nurses to give you an answer. My biggest issue with this clinic is communication. It is very hard to get in touch with them, you speak with a different nurse most times and there is no portal so the only way to get in touch with them is to leave a message and wait for them to call you back which can take hours and sometimes days. In person however they are generally on time and very kind.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Communication is a big weakness. It's also a hospital clinic so you have to pay to park every time you go. Pros are they are incredibly knowledgeable, mostly very kind and caring, on time and Dr. Ashby is highly educated and successful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Insurance covered 90% for us. IUI was $300 range and IVF retrieval and testing was $875. Meds were $2,500 before deductible for retrieval
Describe Rachel Ashby's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Ashby is a big proponent of single ET vs multiple. I would not suggest Dr. Ashby if you're looking to implant multiples
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Because of my age, she [Dr. Ginsburg] prefers doing a single embryo transfer. Also, because of my fertility issues we need to do PGS and PGD teting on all embryos, so we would only transfer testing, normal embryos... I lost count of the amount of times we've seen Dr. Ginsburg during the 7 months we've been with her. After experiencing two miscarriages with my previous doctor, she ran a recurrent miscarriage panel on my husband and I. When those results came back, she personally called me (not a nurse) to tell me the not-so-great news. She has always been kind and understanding, while also being clinical, direct and realistic. When we were fighting with insurance for coverage on treatment, she called me personally at 9pm one night to tell me she's been brainstorming my case and has an alternative approach to try that insurance will cover. She has fought for us with our insurance company, and has really gone above in a lot of ways that make us feel like we are in good hands.
they [staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital] uncovered a huge reason for why I cannot get pregnant. They're diligent and they have never once forgotten to call me with results or instructions. It's easy during this process to get upset or feel alone, but I think they really try to help you along and want the absolute best for you. They may be a little bit more direct and upfront, but I'd prefer that over not having all the information or being given false promises...The nursing staff in the south shore office is phenomenal. To be honest, they're tough, but they also care. I have called them so many times asking so many questions and they never seem annoyed. With that being said, they will tell you how things go and how things should be. They're direct, but most importantly, they care. I was having a particularly different time with some complex fertility issues and the nurse sat down and cried with me. She always tells me how much they're rooting for me and that they're thinking about us and not to give up.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She's very clinically focused, and does use a lot of examples from studies. But she also uses her own experience. She's very upfront and honest, but is also kind. She has been willing to switch up medications and protocols, and uses your past cycles as reference. There have been multiple instances when she's called me personally instead of the nurses, and she always answers all of our questions. We never feel rushed when we meet with her, and she answered all of our questions. She's honest, which quite frankly, is what women need during this process. She's never offered us false hope, but she's also never deterred us either. You can tell she has the same end goal as you--to get pregnant. I don't feel the same way about the other clinic or physician I was with before Dr. Ginsburg.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I was highly recommend her to anyone going through fertility treatment. She truly has your best interests at heart. She may seen "cold" to some, but I believe that's her being clinical. I never felt she was cold. She's only been kind, and really helped us explore every option while never pushing things on us.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Before coming to Dr. Ginsburg, I was with another fertility clinic. I saw that doctor a total of 2 times throughout the year I was with him. One of those times was our initial consultation, and the other was when he just so happened to be the doctor to preform my egg retrieval. I never heard from him during my two miscarriages. I lost count of the amount of times we've seen Dr. Ginsburg during the 7 months we've been with her. After experiencing two miscarriages with my previous doctor, she ran a recurrent miscarriage panel on my husband and I. When those results came back, she personally called me (not a nurse) to tell me the not-so-great news. She has always been kind and understanding, while also being clinical, direct and realistic. When we were fighting with insurance for coverage on treatment, she called me personally at 9pm one night to tell me she's been brainstorming my case and has an alternative approach to try that insurance will cover. She has fought for us with our insurance company, and has really gone above in a lot of ways that make us feel like we are in good hands.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Ginsburg used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
The first two IVG cycles I did before Dr. Ginsburg were antagonist with Gonal-F, low dose HCG, Cetrotide and a lupron trigger. For the first cycle with Dr. Ginsburg we used the antagonist protocol with Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide and a lupron trigger. For the next cycle we completely switched it up and used the long-lupron protocol and an HCG trigger.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I've had family members on my husband's side that have gone to this clinic and had success. Even though I haven't yet, they uncovered a huge reason for why I cannot get pregnant. They're diligent and they have never once forgotten to call me with results or instructions. It's easy during this process to get upset or feel alone, but I think they really try to help you along and want the absolute best for you. They may be a little bit more direct and upfront, but I'd prefer that over not having all the information or being given false promises.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
My insurance covered my rounds of IVF with my own eggs. They covered some but not all of the fees associated with genetic testing. We also looked at donor eggs and that was not covered by insurance.
Describe Elizabeth Ginsburg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Because of my age, she prefers doing a single embryo transfer. Also, because of my fertility issues we need to do PGS and PGD teting on all embryos, so we would only transfer testing, normal embryos.
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr Ginsburg herself was lovely and although she's not the warmest doctor I've encountered, she certainly cares (she's just not touchy-feely, and that was okay for me). She is brilliant and experienced, but she also sees hundreds of patients and she practices at one of the biggest hospitals in the world, so it's hard not to sometimes feel like a number, even if it's not intentional.... Dr. Ginsburg had seen other women in my situation (severe endometriosis and multiple ectopic pregnancies) and she was able to give me clear direction and guidance. It was refreshing to hear someone make the call for me, when all I had experienced was "sure, we can try that if you want".
The Center for Infertility is deep inside BWH. It's a huge pain to drive to (you have to pay $8 in the parking garage each and every time you go for monitoring) and it's not an in-and-out type of place....When you go for monitoring at BWH, you are quite literally a number and you're there waiting for blood/ultrasound with 20 other people who are also there for a million other things, pregnancy monitoring included. For this reason, if you are particularly sensitive or triggered by women with big bellies, this is not the clinic for you.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Before coming BWH and seeing Dr. Ginsburg, I was a patient at a much smaller fertility clinic called Fertility Solutions. The difference between the two clinics was considerable. At FS, there are just 3 doctors and over the course of my two year treatment there, I got to know each doctor very well and all the nurses as well. Dr. Ginsburg is one of about 12 (this is just a guess) Reproductive Endocrinologists at BWH and she sees hundreds of patients. This does not mean she cares less about each individual, it just means (in my opinion) she has a more streamlined and matter of fact approach simply due to the volume of people she sees. I came to her because my treatment at FS came to a screeching halt due to having to make incredibly difficult decisions. The doctors wanted to help, but I just felt like they didn't have the experience or knowledge at this point to help me make important choices. They were willing to try new things, but it was all up to me. Dr. Ginsburg had seen other women in my situation (severe endometriosis and multiple ectopic pregnancies) and she was able to give me clear direction and guidance. It was refreshing to hear someone make the call for me, when all I had experienced was "sure, we can try that if you want". Sometimes you just want someone to tell you what to do. Dr. Ginsburg is not warm and fuzzy, but she's brilliant and confident, and she shows her true compassion in her own special way.
If you're okay with a direct approach and matter of fact guidance, Dr. Ginsburg is the doctor for you. I would recommend her to anyone because of how brilliant she is at her job, but I would absolutely warn them that they will not be seeing her much (only for initial consultations or meetings to discuss big decisions) and make sure they are okay with very little handholding.
Unlike my other two cycles, Dr. G had me on menopur and much less progesterone in oil. She also increased my Gonal F a considerable amount. I produced about 20% more eggs with her protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Pam Whitney)
Pam echoes Dr. Ginsburg's approach in her directness. She is warm in her own way, but you won't get endless hugs or handholding. She is matter of fact and quick in her delivery. I often felt a little silly asking her a million questions and although I was worried I was bothering her, she never acted that way. She was very quick to respond, which I appreciated.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The Center for Infertility is deep inside BWH. It's a huge pain to drive to (you have to pay $8 in the parking garage each and every time you go for monitoring) and it's not an in-and-out type of place. My last clinic had a parking lot and everything was fast and simple, so switching to BWH was a major adjustment. When you go for monitoring at BWH, you are quite literally a number and you're there waiting for blood/ultrasound with 20 other people who are also there for a million other things, pregnancy monitoring included. For this reason, if you are particularly sensitive or triggered by women with big bellies, this is not the clinic for you.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I shared this in my review of the clinic itself, but monitoring is very impersonal here. It didn't bother me because I have fairly thick skin, but for those who are more nervous and triggered by the site of pregnant women literally everywhere, the monitoring experience would be difficult. Your ultrasound will be done by a different person every time so becoming comfortable with the process is necessary
My insurance covered most of the costs of my IVF treatment here, but we are moving on to using a gestational carrier and insurance does not cover this at all.
I did not end up transferring at BWH
Boston

I would say that if you are overly sensitive to prepare yourself for science and straightforwardness. I appreciated this with her [Dr. Elizabeth Ginsburg], but I have also had my diagnosis for years...She is funny, straight to the point and warm without giving false hope...She listens to our concerns and did not push anything that we were not comfortable with. She explained things to us completely and made sure we had clear instructions for the next steps.
Overall, the clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital] is great. Sometimes there can be a long wait, but it’s probably because they spend as much time as needed with their patients. I wish there was a satellite clinic closer to me as it is an hour from my house and coming in for blood work and appointments can be cumbersome...staff is pleasant and helpful...Pam [nurse] is very helpful, very kind and responsive...Consultantations that are not diagnostic are around $200.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg is intelligent, funny and straightforward. She is kind but does not give false hope. She listens to our concerns and did not push anything that we were not comfortable with. She explained things to us completely and made sure we had clear instructions for the next steps.
I would say that if you are overly sensitive to prepare yourself for science and straightforwardness. I appreciated this with her, but I have also had my diagnosis for years.
She is funny, straight to the point and warm without giving false hope. Her staff is pleasant and helpful.
First, she put me on metformin ER 1500mg with the plan to take until 2nd trimester of pregnancy. The side effects were too much for my body so she reduced it to 750mg after 3 months. During the first first she also gave me a 6 month prescription for letrozole 2.5mg to be taken days 3-7 of my cycle until pregnancy occurs. She also had my husband do a sperm analysis and did not assume the problem was me even with my diagnosis. She also suggested I get an HSG done. We decided to hold off on that until the 6 month period was over. I was only 30 at the time so she was fine with that. After the six months, I had the HSG showing no issues. She doubled the dose of letrozole and I am currently on my second cycle of that level dose. The first cycle drastically increased ovulation so they are hopeful it will take this round. If not, we are going to try one more cycle and then discuss IUI.
Pam is very helpful, very kind and responsive.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Overall, the clinic is great. Sometimes there can be a long wait, but it’s probably because they spend as much time as needed with their patients. I wish there was a satellite clinic closer to me as it is an hour from my house and coming in for blood work and appointments can be cumbersome, but it is all worth it.
Some were covered by insurance as it was “Diagnostic”. Consultantations that are not diagnostic are around $200. We have not had many other bills yet. It costs $9 an hour to park in the garage.

Embryo Freezing, IVF, Surrogacy
She [Dr. Rachel Ashby] will tell you everything in detail and assertively. She is extremely talented and intelligent. She has the same goals as her patients and strives to get you to achieve that goal...is kind-hearted and sensitive but keeps everything straight to the point so there are no misunderstandings and emotional rollercoasters. She takes the time to explain everything in detail giving attention to you as if she has known you for years.
Appointments aren’t always easy to get [at Brigham & Women's Hospital]. There may be a waiting period to see Dr Ashby. She is incredibly busy but worth the wait. The weakness is locations. Newton Wellesley and Brigham and women’s have so much traffic to get to both...Allison [nurse] is responsive to all emails or questions. She is very hands on and involved in every aspect of the journey. She was kind and experienced...She [Dr. Rachel Ashby] will tell you everything in detail and assertively.
Embryo Freezing, IVF, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Ashby is extremely intelligent and a great communicator. She will explain everything in detail without having anything be misleading or related without clarification. She has shown that she has been doing this for quite some time so she doesn’t give way to sympathy however her tone and manner shows she cares. She treats you like you are the only patient. When there was an issue with my insurance she called them the day it happened to resolve the problem. We absolutely adore her and love that she doesn’t sugar coat anything and gives false hope and emotions.
She will tell you everything in detail and assertively. She is extremely talented and intelligent. She has the same goals as her patients and strives to get you to achieve that goal.
Dr Ashby is kind-hearted and sensitive but keeps everything straight to the point so there are no misunderstandings and emotional rollercoasters. She takes the time to explain everything in detail giving attention to you as if she has known you for years.
In process now
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ruhe)
Allison is responsive to all emails or questions. She is very hands on and involved in every aspect of the journey. She was kind and experienced.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Appointments aren’t always easy to get. There may be a waiting period to see Dr Ashby. She is incredibly busy but worth the wait. The weakness is locations. Newton Wellesley and Brigham and women’s have so much traffic to get to both.
She has a strong preference towards SET. She explained the risks which we were not comfortable with. I don’t know that she will do a DET as we have the same feelings.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Because Dr. Hornstein may not be actually doing your procedure, make sure you have really discussed and agreed on important things like numbers of eggs to transfer before you get to the implantation day...The second and third rounds were far more aggressive than the first and produced many more eggs and embryos. The third round led to the most eggs and embryos and had some to freeze. I did a fresh transfer after each round of IVF. Had a successful pregnancy with a FET, which was the fourth transfer.
She [nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital] was very responsive by email and phone...The ultrasounds monitoring appointment were started before 7am. It is first come, first served and operated pretty efficiently...It's around $8K - $12K out of pocket per IVF cycle depending on your treatment plan. That does not include meds...is a large hospital. The hours for the labs and ultrasounds were very accommodating. The parking lot across the street is reasonable, and it's also close to the T. You will often find out lab results through their patient portal hours after the tests and before they call you.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Hornstein very patiently answered our many questions when we met with him in person. He always treated us with kindness and care. His nurse answers most of the day to day questions by email or phone .
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Make sure you know your treatment plan and know what the next steps are. The doctors and nurses at B&W are all good at their specific roles, but the communication between them can sometimes be missing. Because Dr. Hornstein may not be actually doing your procedure, make sure you have really discussed and agreed on important things like numbers of eggs to transfer before you get to the implantation day.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
The office was very responsive to emails and calls. My primary nurse was very good.
Describe the protocols Mark Hornstein used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Three rounds of Antagonist protocol. The second and third rounds were far more aggressive than the first and produced many more eggs and embryos. The third round led to the most eggs and embryos and had some to freeze. I did a fresh transfer after each round of IVF. Had a successful pregnancy with a FET, which was the fourth transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Hornstein's primary nurse, Barbara, is awesome! She was very responsive by email and phone.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Brigham and Women's is a large hospital. The hours for the labs and ultrasounds were very accommodating. The parking lot across the street is reasonable, and it's also close to the T. You will often find out lab results through their patient portal hours after the tests and before they call you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Some was covered by insurance. It's around $8K - $12K out of pocket per IVF cycle depending on your treatment plan. That does not include meds.
Describe Mark Hornstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
He helped us make an informed decision based on risk and insurance coverage.
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

My uterus was riddled with fibroids, three of which were the size of a small fist; unlike my regular gynecologist, he [Dr. Gargiulo] never suggested a hysterectomy. His entire focus was to preserve my uterus...He took the time to remove more tumors than originally planned and, when he discovered adhesions holding my ovaries and fallopian tubes to the pelvic wall, removed them. He accelerated my post-op appointment by a few days
Dr. Gargiulo's surgical coordinator [Brigham & Women's Hospital] is outstanding. I live in Virginia, which presented challenges to obtaining care in Boston. The surgical coordinator accommodated my situation flawlessly. She planned all of my pre-op appointments across the hospital for a single afternoon... All but one of the nurses were compassionate and patient, even when I was admittedly cranky and brusque.... All appointments, surgery and medicine were covered by my insurance
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Gargiulo had performed a myomectomy for one of my friends several years earlier. When I was diagnosed with multiple fibroids, she asked him whether he would consider consulting with me long distance (I reside in Virginia). He immediately said yes and provided his email address. We discussed my case via email and he ordered an MRI, which I obtained locally. He requested that I send a disc with the images so that he could evaluate my condition himself, rather than relying on the radiologist's report. He provided an assessment and recommendation (all remotely at no cost) but didn't pressure me to travel to Boston or make a decision. After nine months' hesitation, I opted to move forward with surgery (laparoscopic robotic myomectomy). Dr. Gargiulo never criticized or commented on the delay, other than ordering a new MRI to ensure that he fully understood the fibroids current state. He and his staff quickly arranged both a half-day of pre-op appointments across the hospital (so that I would only have to be in Boston for one day) and a surgery date. When I finally met Dr. Gargiulo in person, he was welcoming, kind and cheerful. He walked me through the MRI images and thoroughly explained what the surgery would entail and possible additional elective procedures (but with no pressure to authorize them). My uterus was riddled with fibroids, three of which were the size of a small fist; unlike my regular gynecologist, he never suggested a hysterectomy. His entire focus was to preserve my uterus, even though at my age a spontaneous pregnancy is extremely unlikely. On the day of surgery, he stopped in to chat during my prep (he hadn't even changed into scrubs yet), spoke with my mother immediately after surgery, and came back once I was reasonably coherent. He took the time to remove more tumors than originally planned and, when he discovered adhesions holding my ovaries and fallopian tubes to the pelvic wall, removed them. He accelerated my post-op appointment by a few days so that I could return to Virginia more quickly (though I am certain he would have requested I stay had I not been healing well). During that appointment, he went over all of my surgery's details, offered images of the procedure and discussed potential pregnancy options. At all times, he was kind, thorough, patient and positive. He never condescended or tried to rush me; he never tried to badger me into making a particular choice.
Don't hesitate to ask questions via email or in person. He will answer all of them completely and in a timely fashion.
I live in Virginia. A friend in Boston recommended Dr. Gargiulo to me. He and his staff went out of their way to accommodate me as an out-of-state patient. Dr. Gargiulo and each member of his staff and surgical team were kind, thoughtful and thoroughly familiar with my personal circumstances, while being both extremely efficient and flexible. I dithered regarding surgery for nine months, with no pressure from Dr. Gargiulo. Once I made up my mind, he and his staff went into fifth gear to make it happen on the timeline that best suited my personal (long-distance) circumstances.
I only pursued removal of fibroid tumors. Dr. Gargiulo wanted a current MRI to ensure that he fully understood the landscape before arriving in the O.R. Because I had delayed making a decision for almost nine months, that meant getting a second set of images. I have good insurance so it wasn't an issue. He predicted he would remove the three largest tumors but ended up taking out seven, which together weighed almost a pound and were five times the size of my uterus. My menstrual cycle is no longer debilitating; my abdomen has returned to being flat; and I've lost about 8 lbs (taking my rather old body back to what I weighed 25 years ago!). If I choose to become pregnant, Dr. Gargiulo strongly recommended I deliver via C-section.
All but one of the nurses were compassionate and patient, even when I was admittedly cranky and brusque. My bladder didn't "wake up" properly after surgery. The post-op nurses stayed well into the early evening to give my body time to right itself, and tried every trick to get my bladder functioning. Unfortunately, nothing worked so, in order to be released from the hospital rather than staying overnight, I had to agree to retaining the catheter. By the next afternoon when I returned to Dr. Gargiulo's clinic to see whether the catheter could be removed, I was not the most pleasant person. (Whatever anyone else says, I can affirm that a catheter is really uncomfortable!) The nurses and the P.A. were nonetheless kind and calm. They acknowledged my discomfort -- which one post-op nurse had downplayed, really ticking me off. I greatly appreciated their willingness to recognize that the catheter was causing pain, and the true sympathy they showed. That type of care makes all the difference.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Gargiulo's surgical coordinator is outstanding. I live in Virginia, which presented challenges to obtaining care in Boston. The surgical coordinator accommodated my situation flawlessly. She planned all of my pre-op appointments across the hospital for a single afternoon (I could have flown home that evening had I wanted to); and provided a surgery date during the winter holiday season that ensured Dr. Gargiulo could do my post-op check-up at the 10-day mark, allowing me to return to Virginia and trim expenses (we stayed in an Air BnB about a half-mile from BWH). The surgical coordinator was very responsive by both phone and email. I didn't see any clinic weaknesses but I likely had less interaction than patients with more complex fertility issues.
All appointments, surgery and medicine were covered by my insurance with relatively small co-pays (combined, less than $600). I did notice on a co-pay statement that the stated non-negotiated cost for the laparoscopic robotic myomectomy was $61,000.
Boston

Dr. Ashby said she would transfer 2 if they looked good or 3 if they looked not great. The embryologist said the algorithm they use said to put back 3 ..Dr. Ashby is pretty straight forward, she definitely gives you a dose of reality, but in a compassionate way...My numbers were not good when we met - my FSH was basically 12, and she did not think my chances of getting eggs were great. We discussed considering donor eggs, and tried to help me see that a child that wasn't genetically mine would still be a child worth loving. She also said that she felt IVF cycles might be robbing me of getting pregnant naturally,
The nurses there [Brigham] were also so nice, the doctors were considerate and informative, everything went smoothly...the waiting room is small and cozy, the check-in people (Kim and Alicia) are always there, there are only a couple different US techs, and usually the same woman drawing blood. Familiar faces are nice to see...If you call the nurses line someone always returns your call. They call you with test results usually around lunch time and give you further details.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby is pretty straight forward, she definitely gives you a dose of reality, but in a compassionate way. Prior to seeking her help I had one cycle converted to IUI, and one cycle where I ovulated prematurely when I went in for retrieval of two follicles (both at Boston IVF). My numbers were not good when we met - my FSH was basically 12, and she did not think my chances of getting eggs were great. We discussed considering donor eggs, and tried to help me see that a child that wasn't genetically mine would still be a child worth loving. She also said that she felt IVF cycles might be robbing me of getting pregnant naturally, because I was spending a lot of time to get one egg, which I was already getting each month on my own. I left her office a MESS. My previous doctor had mentioned donor eggs, but had seemed more optimistic about my chances of conceiving with my own eggs. It was definitely a hard conversation to have, but I appreciated her candor. Despite her concerns, Dr. Ashby said she would try her most aggressive approach (Lupron flare) to see if she could wake up my ovaries. It felt like it was going to be a last ditch effort, and if it didn't work, I was likely to stop trying. Well it did work. I stimmed for 18 long days, but they retrieved 4 eggs, all which fertilized and were frozen (my progesterone had spiked so I had to freeze all and wait to transfer in the next cycle). Dr. Ashby was SO happy for me. She said she had hoped for 2, and was amazed I got 4, and they all fertilized. She was newly optimistic for me - and said she would definitely do it again if this time didn't take, based on those results. Ultimately 3 were transferred (4, 7, 10) but none stuck - so we are back at it again next month. But Dr. Ashby is confident now - and said the two larger embryos were really nice - so my chances aren't bad.
Dr. Ashby wants you to succeed in getting pregnant, that is her goal, she is on your side.
Dr. Ashby and her nurses have always spoken to me by name, called me with results on time, returned calls when I had questions, and treated me with compassion. The clinic at Newton - Wellesley is MUCH smaller than Boston IVF, so while there is the 7am ultrasounds with check-in sheet, the waiting room is small and cozy, the check-in people (Kim and Alicia) are always there, there are only a couple different US techs, and usually the same woman drawing blood. Familiar faces are nice to see. Even though it is a hospital, it isn't a very large one, it feels more like a doctors office inside of a medical building. But a very clean, newly renovated one - not like an old crusty one.
We did a lupon flare protocol. BCP for 10 days before cycle, then 300 iu Menupur and diluted Lupron in AM, and 300 iu of Follistim and diluted Lupron in PM. The downreg of Lupron really slowed me down so they could kick as much FSH into me as possible. My follicles grew really slow, then in a day grew 5mm all of sudden. Ultimately I stimmed for 18 days before an Ovidrel trigger and retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
There are multiple nurses - Nancy, Lisa... those are the names I remember. If you call the nurses line someone always returns your call. They call you with test results usually around lunch time and give you further details. Sometimes you need to know what to ask, but they will give you the info you want if you do. Nancy specifically was VERY helpful to me this new cycle - when my first one failed I was really upset and she took the time to talk to me in her office for a few minutes. I have a feeling my husband's company may revise our plan to remove fertility benefits at the end of the year, and this was already October when our first cycle failed. So I was concerned I would have issues completing another cycle before I lost benefits - and she went above and beyond to help me get Dr. Ashby's new plan in place AND insurance approval by the following day! That was CRAZY fast - and because of her we were able to start this new cycle this month so we can get through it before the end of December!
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Brigham Women's is a state of the art hospital, and Partner's Healthcare is at the top of the medical profession. The clinic at Newton Wellesley Hospital in Newton has a small and cozy waiting room, and new and clean medical rooms with new equipment. They can do everything the large clinics can do, but better - they can even do simple procedures in their offices there like the mock transfer or hysteroscopy. You have your surgeries at BWH in Boston, and while when I was there there was construction happening on the floor, the facility itself was perfect. The nurses there were also so nice, the doctors were considerate and informative, everything went smoothly. I actually liked being there :) which matters when you are about to have surgery. Love everything about my experiences at BWH.
the appointment was $645 to meet with the doctor, my meds were about $30k (but that was billed to insurance so I don't know the real cost) my surgery for retrieval was $12k and the transfer was $4,500. I am so fortunate to have had insurance coverage.
We transferred 3 - Dr. Ashby said she would transfer 2 if they looked good or 3 if they looked not great. The embryologist said the algorithm they use said to put back 3 - but the smallest was only 4 cells so I kind of felt like that one was a low chance shot of 'why not?' since the 4th was only 3 cells - it didn't make it to refreezing.
Boston

Dr. Gargiulo was very personable, kind, and empathetic of my situation. We spoke about my history and I was able to express my concerns surrounding infertility.Dr. Gargiulo is very knowledged and I believe he cares abut the patients outcome as well as their health...He recommended getting a laparoscopy and removing the non communicating horn to prevent future ectopic pregnancies. He made me feel confident in trusting him for next steps. We scheduled a "Laparoscopic Excision of Right Rudimentary Uterine Horn, And Fallopian Tube".
staff [at Brigham and Women's Hospital] along with him [Dr. Gargiulo] were so kind, wonderful, and accommodating from beginning to end. It was a successful procedure and I am pleased with the small and not very noticeable incisions...The clinic itself is a bit small and would run behind on appointments. Most of their staff was pleasant. The office space was a bit cramped but it was overall a great clinic. Location is a bit busy and parking was a bit challenging.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I am a 27 year old female who lives in the DC area who was born with a unicornate uterus with a rudimentary horn. I was diagnosed when I was 22 while I was trying to get to the root of my painful cramps. I had an ectopic pregnancy when I was 23 and wanted to be proactive for future planning. My OB/GYN recommended I have a laparoscopy done to diagnose endometriosis and take a loser took at my abnormal uterus. We did extensive research in efforts to finds a specialist in the area but no luck and since my family lives in Massachusetts we began our search there. We came across a colleague of Dr. Gargiulo and after speaking to his colleague, sending my MRI, and medical records, he stated Dr. Gargiulo would be the best fit to assist. When I met Dr. Gargiulo he was very personable, kind, and empathetic of my situation. We spoke about my history and I was able to express my concerns surrounding infertility. He recommended getting a laparoscopy and removing the non communicating horn to prevent future ectopic pregnancies. He made me feel confident in trusting him for next steps. We scheduled a "Laparoscopic Excision of Right Rudimentary Uterine Horn, And Fallopian Tube". His staff along with him were so kind, wonderful, and accommodating from beginning to end. It was a successful procedure and I am pleased with the small and not very noticeable incisions.
Have questions ready to ask.
We focused on preparing my uterus for fertility. I have not yet began attempting.
not sure
Boston

Dr. Ginsburg has been very considerate of our desires and our treatment. She has considered all factors, but also been willing to work around situations and numbers. She has explained information thoroughly, and has been available when we've had further questions.... we are doing a complicated reciprocal IVF. She had us meet with maternal fetal medicine due to us both being overweight. She tested both of us thoroughly to help us make the best decision as to who will undergo the egg retrieval and who will undergo the embryo transfer.
The doctors and nursing team [Brigham & Women's Hospital] have been extremely thorough, helpful, and informative. They have taken the time to explain all of our options to us and have considered our needs, wishes, and our future unlike other clinics have. The clerical staff can at times be short and was initially difficult to communicate with, but overall they have improved. This clinic seems to see fewer LGBTQ clients; likely due to the size of the state, so there has been some confusion at times.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg has been very considerate of our desires and our treatment. She has considered all factors, but also been willing to work around situations and numbers. She has explained information thoroughly, and has been available when we've had further questions. She has been open and flexible and has truly made us feel like she is working with us.
To be sure to ask a lot of questions and to be completely open.
Dr. Ginsburg didn't just look at numbers, she thought about mine and my wife's future. She considered our wishes and worked with us despite some numbers.
We have not yet started our cycle, but we are doing a complicated reciprocal IVF. She had us meet with maternal fetal medicine due to us both being overweight. She tested both of us thoroughly to help us make the best decision as to who will undergo the egg retrieval and who will undergo the embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Carey)
She has been very helpful and informative. She has returned my calls promptly and reached out to Dr. Ginsburg with all of my follow-up questions.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The doctors and nursing team have been extremely thorough, helpful, and informative. They have taken the time to explain all of our options to us and have considered our needs, wishes, and our future unlike other clinics have. The clerical staff can at times be short and was initially difficult to communicate with, but overall they have improved. This clinic seems to see fewer LGBTQ clients; likely due to the size of the state, so there has been some confusion at times.
We have requested multiple embryo transfer. Here, we feel that we are slightly being treated like a number now, but there seems to be some flexibility and willingness to work with us there.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
There was just one blood test that wasn't ordered and had to be repeated.
Boston

It's a large clinic [Brigham] but the doctors are amazing!!! ...Kathy this far has been excellent. However before I was assigned her I did not have a set nurse and that at times was frustrating since I did not have anyone dedicated to me. Once I felt like the nurse who called did not know what was going on and I had to call back to demand more answers. ..Efficient well oiled machine with sign in sheets and call backs
How was your experience with Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Walsh has been great. He is compassionate and attentive to my needs and questions. When things don't work out we have tried others and have done a plethora of tests to ensure all bases were covered (testing chromosomes, clotting factors, endometrial biopsy,etc after 2 CPs. Ensuring my miscarriage had pathology done, doing more tests. Creating a new plan for the next egg retrieval with PGS testing). The one negative would be that sometimes this information and appointments can be overwhelming and I felt like I had to decide to move forward quickly when maybe I'd want a cycle off. I also had my first egg retieval when Dr walsh nurse had retired and I was bounced around by nurses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Just to ensure you always are on top of meds and instructions. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Walsh always takes time for my husband and I. I write down a lot of questions and he always sits patiently and explains and answers all of them. Additionally, I recent had a miscarriage where Dr. Walsh performed the d and c. I'll never forget him holding my hand as I went under.
Describe the protocols Brian Walsh used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
First we began testing. Hormone levels for me, hsg, and hysteroscopy. My husband had 2 sperm analysis done which showed male factor. My husband was also sent to a specialist. We tried clomid for 2 rounds as we were doing testing which did not work based on my husband's male factor issues. Due to mfi we were told ivf was our only option. Since I am borderline on fsh and amh the protocol was semi aggressive with 2 vials menopur and 150 iu follistim which was increased to 225. I stimmed for 13 days and had a duel trigger lupron and HCG. I had 16 eggs, 13 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI. We ended w 3 day 5 embryos of great quality. I did one fresh transfer w crinone that ended in a CP. We next did a natural FET without meds except for crinone support after transfer that also ended in a CP. We decided to try the last FET as a medicated cycle with 3 mg of estrace twice daily (6mg total) and once my lining got to 7mm we added progesterone a few days before the transfer and after. I had a positive beta HCG test 3 times and we set up an 8 wk ultrasound. Unfortunately there was no heartbeat and I had an enlarged placenta. Dr Walsh wanted to do a d and c to determine the cause and to check for a molar pregnancy ( I had high hcg). The results came back that it was NOT molar but the miscarriage was due to trisomy 18. We went into see Dr Walsh for a post on and we discussed next steps which was additional tests to determine any other reason for my 3 miscarriages and another hysteroscopy before we started IVF again. We also discussed PGS, genetic counseling, and higher doses to get more eggs for pgs testing. We will also freeze all day 5 embryos for ogs and do a medicated FET as I preferred the shots to crinone and I had the most successful pregnancy when we did the protocol medicated. I am currently waiting for my ultrasound to start stimulation for egg retrieval. My doses are going up to 3 vials of menopur and 225 iu of gonal f ( and we will bump up to 4 and 300 iu)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy Charbonnier)
Kathy this far has been excellent. However before I was assigned her I did not have a set nurse and that at times was frustrating since I did not have anyone dedicated to me. Once I felt like the nurse who called did not know what was going on and I had to call back to demand more answers. Thankfully someone else called back and addressed it
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
It's a large clinic but the doctors are amazing!!! Just remember to stay on top of them and the nurses and ask lots of questions until you are satisfied. Don't be intimidated by the size or credentials. Do your own research and come prepared.
Efficient well oiled machine with sign in sheets and call backs
Describe Brian Walsh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr Walsh follows SART recommendations and I only have had a single embryo transferred based on quality and age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
On my second CP I requested a second beta after my first was positive. I don't think this was portrayed well and I had to call for results. The nurse I spoke too seemed to not understand and that was when I called back to get answers about my next steps. The medication issue was a mix up either CVS specialty messed up or someone forgot a med. I noticed that cetrotide wasn't there since I was on my second cycle and knew the protocol and had to request it.
Brian Walsh
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

Dr. Yanushpolsky has been awesome so far. She’s thorough, kind, and compassionate. She reassures me and doesn’t mind to take the time to answer all of my questions. She listens to me and plans my treatment accordingly. As a single woman trying to have a baby, it’s easy to lean toward judgement but Dr. Yanushpolsky didn’t seem to mind; she was just as glad to help me.... Dr. Yanushpolsky and I decided to do four rounds of natural IUI
The front desk staff [Brigham & Women's Hospital] are kind and knowledgeable. I had an amazing experience when I went for my first IUI. The medical assistant who checked me in was really nice; she allowed me to be a part of the whole process, and even explained what she was doing along the way. At the end she allowed me and friends view the sperm under the microscope! Very cool!... I paid a little over 200 before the procedure, which was the fee for the doctor. The remained was billed to me- I think around 500 dollars.
How was your experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Yanushpolsky has been awesome so far. She’s thorough, kind, and compassionate. She reassures me and doesn’t mind to take the time to answer all of my questions. She listens to me and plans my treatment accordingly. As a single woman trying to have a baby, it’s easy to lean toward judgement but Dr. Yanushpolsky didn’t seem to mind; she was just as glad to help me. I found the idea of going to an RE intimidating and still do but Dr. Yanushpolsky makes it less stressful. I don’t have any complaints yet but I’ll be sure to update you if things change.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Yanushpolsky is upbeat and tends to move fast- don’t be afraid to ask questions! She’s happy to answer them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She has always been warm and kind. She takes the time to explain everything and it’s easy to get an appointment.
Describe the protocols Elena Yanushpolsky used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Dr. Yanushpolsky and I decided to do four rounds of natural IUI. She explained that because of my age (27) and the results of my blood work/HSG we would try without medication and follow up if I wasn’t pregnant after four cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy C. )
Kathy has been helpful and easy to get a hold of- she always responds promptly to my messages.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The front desk staff are kind and knowledgeable. I had an amazing experience when I went for my first IUI. The medical assistant who checked me in was really nice; she allowed me to be a part of the whole process, and even explained what she was doing along the way. At the end she allowed me and friends view the sperm under the microscope! Very cool!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Elena Yanushpolsky
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
She [Dr. Ginsburg] has given us hope after cancer took our opportunity to become parents naturally...She has helped me fill out fertility grant applications immediately after I emailed her asking if she had time to do so. She made me feel important and hopeful. She recommended different grants/financial assistance options to help pay for fertility preservation costs. She was very easy to get a hold of when I had questions during my IVF cycle regarding medication. She made quick adjustments to a similar medication when my insurance did not cover a specific medication during IVF.
The billing coordinator [at Brigham & Women's], Gene Diaz, has made herself very available for questions and has broken down the costs to me in great detail both over the phone and email. She emails me back very quickly and provides much detail for each one of the fees I will eventually need to pay for surrogacy...So far I am yet to encounter any weaknesses... They are extremely accommodating and very inviting. From the front desk staff, to the coordinators, to the doctors. Everyone I have met at the clinic has been wonderful. They stay open late one day a week to help accommodate work schedules.
1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg is a very intelligent, calm, confident, and compassionate doctor. She has made me and my fiance more than comfortable and confident that we will be able to become parents via gestational surrogacy. She has walked and talked us through the necessary steps towards gestational surrogacy and has explained everything in great detail. She takes her time when meeting with us and genuinely cares about the success of our future embryo transfer. She has given us hope after cancer took our opportunity to become parents naturally. We met Dr. Ginsburg during a very difficult time in our lives and she gave us the hope that we so desperately needed back in 2015. Having a family of our own is the single most important thing in the world to my fiance and I and Dr. Ginsburg demonstrates that she cares about the success of the embryo transfer just as much as we do. Examples of her compassion: She has helped me fill out fertility grant applications immediately after I emailed her asking if she had time to do so. She made me feel important and hopeful. She recommended different grants/financial assistance options to help pay for fertility preservation costs. She was very easy to get a hold of when I had questions during my IVF cycle regarding medication. She made quick adjustments to a similar medication when my insurance did not cover a specific medication during IVF. She suggested testing my ovarian reserve level every 6 months to help me feel more involved and aware of the changes my body was going through and would email me my lab results as soon as they became available. She remembered little details I would tell her at past appointments about my family and hobbies/social life, she paid great attention to details. She makes me feel like part of the treatment time and keeps me hopeful through her kind/warm personality. She has more than 1 clinic location and has flexible hours making her very easy to get in touch with.
Dr. Ginsburg will explore every aspect of your fertility needs and if there is a way to help you start a family she will most definitely find it.
Dr. Ginsburg is absolutely wonderful. She is very responsive to emails and goes above and beyond to make sure her patients needs are being addressed. She has seen me at 2 different clinics and has always called/emailed me back right away. She never makes me feel rushed when meeting with her and answers all of my questions/concerns at length. She assured me everything was going to be OK and that she would work with me and my fertility needs when I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 25. I am so thankful to have her as a provider and I feel as though I could not be in better hands. Dr. Ginsburg and the entire staff at Brigham and Women have been tremendous. I am 100% confident in her care and strongly believe she will help make my dreams of becoming a mom a reality.
Dr. Ginsburg had me do 1 cycle of IVF while on tamoxifen (due to stage 3 estrogen positive cancer) back in 2015. My treatment plan consisted of injections and pills. Together, we discussed the options for eggs and embryos and the pros and cons of each. She helped me decided how many I was going to create embryos with. We froze 4 eggs and 4 embryos (originally had 6 embryos but 2 did not make it). She explained that the embryos would be frozen on day 3 to get "as money in the freezer as possible". Her plan is to transfer 2 embryos to a gestational surrogate as each embryo has a 40% chance of success. Her strategy to transfer 2 lines up with our goals, financial needs, and of course safety concerns. She explained everything in great detail.
Allison is simply exceptional. We have been in constant contact for about a year now. We email weekly and she answers in great detail every and any questions I have. She has talked to numerous potential surrogates of ours and has included as in all aspects of surrogacy process. She always makes sure I completely understand everything she is telling me. She will email me detailed information and also call me with updates when we had potential surrogates. She has helped me fill out about 10 applications for fertility grants and continues to support us in any way that she can.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Strengths: They are extremely accommodating and very inviting. From the front desk staff, to the coordinators, to the doctors. Everyone I have met at the clinic has been wonderful. They stay open late one day a week to help accommodate work schedules. They think outside the box and present different treatment options and scenarios to you regarding fertility and parenthood. They are easy to get in touch with over the phone and via email. I have never had any billing issues with the clinic and they accept most insurances. I have actually referred a friend to their clinic. Weaknesses: So far I am yet to encounter any weaknesses. One thing that would definitely be a great additional would be a grant program/scholarship for their patients to help pay for the surrogacy costs.
There was a high volume of patients waiting for ultra sounds during my IVF cycle but I was never waiting for a long period of time. They were open 7 days a week and I was always seen when I needed to be. The results were always available online within a couple hours and my clinic would always call me as soon as they got results. They were very on top of my care during my IVF cycle.
My IVF cycle was covered in full by my insurance. I did have to pay about $500 out of pocket for medications. My estimated hospital costs for gestational surrogacy services were quoted at 10K. The billing coordinator, Gene Diaz, has made herself very available for questions and has broken down the costs to me in great detail both over the phone and email. She emails me back very quickly and provides much detail for each one of the fees I will eventually need to pay for surrogacy.
We prefer to transfer 2 embryos to increase of chance of success on the first transfer. She was completely on board with this decision and also agreed that it was for the best. She assured us this choice is safe and is confident it will result in a live birth.
Boston

We used antagonist protocol [with Dr. Janis Fox], and I had a very good response both cycles I did...was aggressive with how many we transferred, so we did 3 embryos for 4 of my transfers, and 2 for the last (only had 2 remaining)... thankfully, she was able to do both of my egg retrievals...was very thorough, made sure I understood everything, and was compassionate at the same time. She was very positive through the whole experience, even though she was real about the data given my age...has a practical approach to treatment. She is compassionate and understanding, and made me feel hopeful and at ease the whole way through. She never gave me false hope, and kept the data real, but she did give me confidence in going forward with a second cycle after the first failed.
I went through a few different nurses while receiving treatment with Dr. Fox [at Brigham & Women's Hospital] over a 2 year period. It would have been nice to have just one and get to know them better. Of all the nurses, I didn't really love any of them, but they all were fine and did their job well...The first nurse I had with Dr. Fox failed to do one important blood test that was required before we could start, so it set me back a month...[monitoring was a] pretty easy process- you were given a "window" of time, early morning, which worked well for me...The clinic has multiple doctors, which to me was good and bad. Good since if you needed a quick procedure and my dr. wasn't available, someone else could step in to do it. Bad because I didn't always get my doctor for my important procedures (transfers), though thankfully, she was able to do both of my egg retrievals.
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Fox is highly intelligent, and has a practical approach to treatment. She is compassionate and understanding, and made me feel hopeful and at ease the whole way through. She never gave me false hope, and kept the data real, but she did give me confidence in going forward with a second cycle after the first failed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Trust her method!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Fox was very thorough, made sure I understood everything, and was compassionate at the same time. She was very positive through the whole experience, even though she was real about the data given my age.
Describe the protocols Janis Fox used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
We used antagonist protocol, and I had a very good response both cycles I did.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
I went through a few different nurses while receiving treatment with Dr. Fox over a 2 year period. It would have been nice to have just one and get to know them better. Of all the nurses, I didn't really love any of them, but they all were fine and did their job well.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This was completely covered by insurance. I only had to pay Dr. visit copays, and a portion of the prescription fertility meds.
Describe Janis Fox's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Fox was aggressive with how many we transferred, so we did 3 embryos for 4 of my transfers, and 2 for the last (only had 2 remaining).
Janis Fox
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

2014 - 2018
IVF, Egg Freezing
I have complete faith in the medical expertise/care offered by the BWH Infertility/Reproductive Medicine Center.... I will continue to seek treatment for infertility and endometriosis from him [Dr. Gargiulo] and cannot think of a better place in the area in which to do this than the BWH Infertility/Reproductive Medicine Center.... When we decided to do a fresh cycle of IVF and ran into a terrible dispute with my insurance, he and his assistant went above and beyond what I would expect of anyone in that situation.
2014 - 2018
IVF, Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Gargiulo is a truly excellent doctor and I can't recommend him enough. I initially came to him years ago seeking to freeze my eggs due to a severe case of endometriosis. He helpfully guided me through the process, and I was happy to complete several successful cycles of egg freezing under his care. Years later, after meeting my husband and deciding to start a family, I returned to Dr. Gargiulo, who talked through our plans for addressing infertility from every angle. When we decided to do a fresh cycle of IVF and ran into a terrible dispute with my insurance, he and his assistant went above and beyond what I would expect of anyone in that situation. They were always ready to help at the shortest notice during the weeks of the dispute. We won the case, and my husband and I went on to have a successful cycle of IVF at our first attempt despite a very low number of eggs retrieved. We were thrilled! I never once doubted Dr. Gargiulo's expertise, judgment, or advice. He explains everything in great detail and treats you with respect rather than talking down to you. He answers all questions with care and attention. What stands out as well are his kindness, humor, and genuine human touch. He is a generous doctor who clearly loves helping his patients. I will continue to seek treatment for infertility and endometriosis from him and cannot think of a better place in the area in which to do this than the BWH Infertility/Reproductive Medicine Center.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I have complete faith in the medical expertise/care offered by the BWH Infertility/Reproductive Medicine Center. That's all I have to say although this site forced me to write a response of 200 characters in length.
Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained, Other
Before my last retrieval Dr. Ashby made sure to explore my feelings about multiples and explain the risks involved...In our first visit, she brought up my weight in a way that didn't blame or shame me. It motivated me and I got to work. Even if I hadn't been able to address it, she would not have withheld treatment. I felt much better prepared and supported through treatment than I had at previous practice in terms of being grounded in the numbers for my age.
I have gotten to know Judy, Nanci and Lisa [nurses at Brigham & Women's Hospital] quite well. They are professional, kind and responsive. Sometimes it can be confusing knowing who you talked to about what but the coordination of care is leaps and bounds ahead of the first practice I cycled with. Things are by no means perfect...Nothing has gone wrong but sometimes it is hard to keep everyone on the same page with adjustments that are out of the ordinary. In general, managing IVF requires hypervigilance on the part of the patient.
Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
We haven't gotten our baby yet but I am confident that in the course of my treatment, no stone will be left unturned. She is known for having conceived and delivered her twins through IVF. That edge is what sealed the deal for me but the case was already pretty strong. When we were looking to switch practices, we asked around and she was recommended to us by friends who have a 1 year old son. They also experienced a previous loss and an early miscarriage with Dr. Ashby and described feeling very well cared for and supported.
No practice or physician is perfect - the important thing is finding a clinician whose style matches your needs. She is very in demand but if you need extra time and attention, she will accommodate you. Dr. Ashby is positive and forward moving but not one to sugar coat things. For me, that is a positive but everyone is different.
She is gives difficult to swallow information in a compassionate way. In our first visit, she brought up my weight in a way that didn't blame or shame me. It motivated me and I got to work. Even if I hadn't been able to address it, she would not have withheld treatment. I felt much better prepared and supported through treatment than I had at previous practice in terms of being grounded in the numbers for my age. After miscarrying a PGS normal embryo she was empathetic and said what I needed to hear. "If you wanted to quit, you came to the wrong doctor. I've just started to fight."
My 1st retrieval with another practice was antagonist. I got 5 blasts but it was absolute torture and was switched to freeze all because I was at risk for OHSS. My 1st cycle (2nd overall retrieval) with Dr. Ashby was also antagonist. It was also torture - though not as bad. The results were abyssmal - 1 full day 5 blast and two morulas were transferred. My 2nd cycle with Dr. Ashby (3rd overall retrieval) was an agonist micro flare protocol. It produced 5 day 5 embryos and 1 day 6 embryo. We did PGS and had 1 PGS normal, 1 mosaic and 4 abnormals. We are starting stims for the next cycle later this week with the same micro flare protocol starting with slightly higher doses of gonal and menopur. Results TBD.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Nanci)
I have gotten to know Judy, Nanci and Lisa quite well. They are professional, kind and responsive. Sometimes it can be confusing knowing who you talked to about what but the coordination of care is leaps and bounds ahead of the first practice I cycled with. Things are by no means perfect - because let's face it, as much of a privilege and miracle the IVF is, it also totally blows even under the best of circumstances.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This is high volume practice with some of the most in demand clinicians in a market with no shortage of REs. It helps to know the in and outs of the process to know what questions and clarifications to ask for. You need to be okay with not having your doctor for procedures. My friend who has another RE at the Brigham has had my doctor for more procedures than I have. That said, from retrievals to transfers to D&Es - all of the doctors that have treated me have been compassionate and professional. Sometimes it is stressful to have to make high stakes decisions without the person you know and trust in the room but I come away from each experience with the feeling I was in good hands.
Other than PGS, my care has been covered by insurance.
We only had one PGS normal to work with so we went with that. We opted not to transfer the mosaic with a normal. If we had had two normals, with the prognosis for my age we probably would have been advised and opted to transfer more than one so that we could move to the next retrieval since time is of the essence. Before my last retrieval Dr. Ashby made sure to explore my feelings about multiples and explain the risks involved.

Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I had a very mixed experience with Dr. Srouji. At times she seemed to be on our side, at others she almost seemed mad at us. I was probably not the typical patient-- I didn't go in assuming we would be doing IVF--and that seemed to frustrate her... One of my biggest complaints is that she really didn't address--or seem to understand--my underlying medical concerns--I have been dealing with PCOS/PMDD/general endocrine issues and rough periods my whole life and wasn't sure how medications would affect me
[Brigham - Bos] Holly, is AWESOME. I just liked her style when giving results/instructions. She is upbeat but compassionate. My first interaction with her was when my genetic carrier testing came back positive for a fatal disease and she presented that perfectly...Monitoring is very early in the morning, and they seem to require more monitoring appointments per cycle than a lot of places...The ultrasound and lab techs are very nice.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
It is very important to understand upfront that the doctors work as a team at BWH, which means the doctor you see primarily and discuss your treatment with is NOT the one making decisions as you go through your cycle, and will most likely not be the one doing your egg retrieval, transfer, HSG testing, uterus mapping, etc. I did not realize this until after my second cycle, which would have explained so much if I had known. As such, it's kind of hard to rate any doctor on their medical decisions. I had a very mixed experience with Dr. Srouji. At times she seemed to be on our side, at others she almost seemed mad at us. I was probably not the typical patient-- I didn't go in assuming we would be doing IVF--and that seemed to frustrate her. At age 39 I was sort of clueless about the fertility process and just went because my regular doctor told me to "get checked out" after six months of trying to conceive. The assumption, however, was that you are there to sign up for IVF no matter what, and she seemed really confused about how to handle the fact that I didn't know if I was willing to go that far. She waffled on a few things-- at first she said male factor was such an issue nothing short of ICIS would work, then after my husband had a second test she said it was in the normal range and trying IUI first sounded like a great plan, then when the sperm count was low with the IUI she was almost angry with me and said the sperm count was always low and she only supported trying IUI because she knew I didn't want IVF. One of my biggest complaints is that she really didn't address--or seem to understand--my underlying medical concerns--I have been dealing with PCOS/PMDD/general endocrine issues and rough periods my whole life and wasn't sure how medications would affect me. I did have some REALLY bad side effects from both Clomid and the IVF meds that she neither warned me about, nor seemed to care about when I reported them. I think some mistakes were made during my second cycle but I will never know for sure because she abruptly dropped me as a patient. I don't know if it was Dr. Srouji's fault per se, but overall I would characterize working with BWH as traumatizing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
If you are not too interested in the details or any sort of individualized care, this might be a better experience (I felt that way at first until things started getting complicated and confusing and I seemed to have more questions the more I learned). It might also be better if you are an IVF veteran and already know the basics.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She did not take my individual medical history/concerns about side effects into account at all. She tried one protocol and then a more aggressive one and then pretty much gave up. The practice at BWH seems to have a real culture of not providing a lot of information, medical or process-wise. Dr. Srouji was always very late for appointments--at least 30-45 minutes--even first thing in the morning. I always felt very rushed when in appointments with her and always came out not sure of next steps and with more questions than when I went in.
Describe the protocols Serene Srouji used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
At 39 and 1/2, my AMH was 2.0 and FSH was something like 5.5, but my husband's sperm count and motility was low. So low, in fact, she said nothing short of ICIS would work (long story, but we did try IUI with Clomid first). My first IVF was lower dose antagonist (gonal-f, cetrotide, HCG trigger). Afterward she said my egg maturity rate (6/11) and my estrogen on trigger day (525) were much lower than she'd expect with my numbers so we had to go to an aggressive lupron microflare cycle (lupron, menapur, gonal-f, HCG trigger). My estrogen was MUCH higher (3260), and I had 14 follicles on trigger day, but only 8 eggs were retrieved and only one embryo was frozen on day 1. The embryo had to be frozen because my progesterone was extremely high during stimulation. She said I clearly have "an egg problem" but dropped me as a patient at the same time, so I don't have anymore information than that to work with going forward.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
The primary nurse who works with Dr. Srouji, Holly, is AWESOME. I just liked her style when giving results/instructions. She is upbeat but compassionate. My first interaction with her was when my genetic carrier testing came back positive for a fatal disease and she presented that perfectly. She also went WAY above and beyond to help us deal with CVS/Caremark, the most evil prescription drug plan provider imaginable. Unfortunately, some of the other nurses we dealt with when Holly was out were not as helpful at all. When I asked Barbara what happens after the cycle if I don't get pregnant (a medical question and a process question) she said, "we don't like to think about that" and wouldn't go any further. Nurse Marie told me they can't give patients all the information because "most people can't handle it." When I tried to get process information and was getting frustrated that she wouldn't provide it, she said, "I know you're upset because you always imagined you'd be a parent and now it might not happen..." um, no, I'm upset because you won't tell me what I have to do next. The other nurses I spoke with (Tricia and Amanda) seemed nice and helpful.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think most of the information is provided in my other responses. It's such a mixed bag. Really just don't expect a lot of information sharing-- you won't know why the doctors make the decisions they do and you won't get any process information ahead of time, even big picture stuff that seems like it can be reasonably estimated. If you want any sort individualized treatment I don't think this is the right place. Also, from my internet research it seems like I am far from the first patient they have dropped, so I think it's something you have to be prepared for (I was not). While some people are wonderful, others can be defensive, condescending, or even flat out insulting.
Monitoring is very early in the morning, and they seem to require more monitoring appointments per cycle than a lot of places. It's ok once you get used to it but at the beginning it was super stressful. Leave PLENTY of time in the morning for Boston traffic, parking, etc. The ultrasound and lab techs are very nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
It's MA and I have BCBS, so I only paid 10% plus copays for medications (~$200).
Describe Serene Srouji's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
BWH uses an algorithm to determine the number of embryos to transfer-- you can choose to have fewer transferred but not more than they recommend.
Serene Srouji
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

Dr. Anchan was very patient with us and let us take our time with our treatment course. I was very much into taking steps slowly and progressing through each step at my own pace. He was wonderful in allowing this, I always felt like my feelings were taking into consideration and he was always able to provide steps I was comfortable with. He was amazing at explaining each step, medication, hormone and included diagrams when needed. He was always straight forward about our chances and possible success rates. I never felt blind sided at all through the process.
I never had issues in getting appointments set up when needed [at Brigham & Women's Hospital]. They are willing to work with your cycles so you are not feeling like you are wasting months waiting. When you have IVF procedures you will see whichever Dr. Is scheduled that day so it may not be your own...Holly was our initial nurse and was always efficient in delivering results to us. Kelley took over and became our nurse while we did our IVF cycle. She was excellent in returning emails throughout the process. She acted as a good middleman for us and Dr. Anchan between appointments. I only had one miscommunication that had no effect on our cycle success.
How was your experience with Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Trust the journey and Dr. Anchan. He has your best interest in mind and the same end goal as you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Anchan was very personable with my husband and I. He always remembered facts about our life that were not fertility related. This made us comfortable that he pays attention and sets us apart from everyone else. We always fekt heard and he was very patient with answering questions.
Describe the protocols Raymond Anchan used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
I was not ready to jump to the big guns right away do we did a few letrozole cycles with timed intercourse. We stepped up to letrozole with IUI a few months in. When I was finally ready to accept IVF we did a antagonist cycle due to my higher AMH. The cycle was textbook and we had a high fertilization report and many embryos. We did use ICSI for the likelihood of having the most possible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Holly and Kelley)
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I never had issues in getting appointments set up when needed. They are willing to work with your cycles so you are not feeling like you are wasting months waiting. When you have IVF procedures you will see whichever Dr. Is scheduled that day so it may not be your own. This never bothered me but something some might consider.
Monitoring is done first thing in the morning at a first come first serve basis. On weekends it is a scheduled time slot. I never waited more than an hour before I was out and onto the rest of my day. The techs were hit or miss with friendliness and gentleness but the phlebotomists were very pleasant. Even though this is a hospital setting they brought a phlebotomist to the ultrasound department which is very convenient.
Describe Raymond Anchan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The council we received in deciding how many to transfer included statistics and their reasoning. Both transfers we were able to explain our reasoning as well and it was always respected. Since I had a highly graded embryo we chose one for the first transfer. Our second transfer we were able to transfer 2 since we at that point had a unsuccessful transfer.
Raymond Anchan
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

2014 - 2017
1 IVF, Surrogacy
Dr. Srouji created a very specific IVF plan based on my medical issues, and monitored me very carefully, explaining her decisions along the way. We did a very low dose of hormone stimulation with constant US and blood tests to check levels along the way. Our cycle was effective and produced several viable eggs for transfer...She is very busy so there were times that communication as slow, but I understand that just as I am given the time and effort, so are her other patients.
A nice clinic [Brigham and Womens] to work with, tends to be busy as the BWH is a very large center...Just one time that I was waiting for an answer to a question and it took a few days to receive an answer, so I had to call back and follow through...Dr. Srouji knew my name and our case and took the time to review my medical history and cover all the details, and be in touch with my other doctors.
2014 - 2017
1 IVF, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Srouji was a caring, friendly doctor. She took the time to explain the surrogacy process and answer any questions that I had brought with me. She was genuinely excited by our success and wanted to be updated when our daughter was born. She is very busy so there were times that communication as slow, but I understand that just as I am given the time and effort, so are her other patients.
Be patient with the wait times in between appointments/phone calls. Brigham is a busy clinic!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Holly Hughes)
Most of our contact was via phone and email, only met once in person. They were very helpful, were quick to respond to emails and answer any questions that I had.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
A nice clinic to work with, tends to be busy as the BWH is a very large center.
I did all of my monitoring appointments at the local clinic, it was very convenient and wait times were minimal, staff was very helpful.
The total cost for the clinic and hormone meds for our GC was around $10,000
Serene Srouji

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Brigham was usually fairly timely calling with changes to medicine, but after my retrieval, I never got a call about day 3 or day 5 embryos and then how many were sent for PGS...I loved Barbara! Brigham is incredibly busy but Barbara always took the time to answer all of my questions. I did find that if Barbara was out or if treatment occurred over a weekend, the covering nurse was often not as familiar with my case.
Investor
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I first saw Dr. Hornstein at the recommendation of a good friend who had seen him for years to manage her endometriosis. I had previously been seen by his partner, but I wanted a doctor who could do both the surgery for the endometriosis and oversee fertility treatments. Dr. Hornstein was very thorough with our initial work up and let us take our time before going to IVF. Dr. Hornstein presented all of the option and let us decide. We wanted to do PGS testing and even though Brigham doesn't recommend it, Dr. Hornstein was understanding.
Dr. Hornstein is incredibly busy and a lot of your care will be done by the nurses/fellows/other REs. If something urgent came up, Dr. Hornstein would call.
Dr. Hornstein is incredibly busy but he always took the time to answer our questions and we had a lot! He holds one late night clinic each week and we were the last patient that day. He stayed with us for over an hour until 10 pm to make sure we had all of our questions answered and could develop a treatment plan for an IVF cycle.
4 cycles of clomid - 3 IUIs (one was cancelled) Agonist protocol that was a freeze-all cycle for PGS and to prevent OHSS. Relatively low doses of stims (Follistim - 112.5) and Cetrocide. I used a dual Lupron and HCG trigger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Barbara)
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Brigham is incredibly large and busy and if you want a personalized, hand-holding approach, Brigham is not the place to go. All of your ultrasounds are done by techs and you wait for the nurse to call with orders to adjust for the next day. Also, your doctor is often not the one who is available for your retrieval and transfer so you must be comfortable with a group practice and residents. One interesting thing to note is that OB admitting is at the front of the hospital and you will walk through that on your way to the clinic or for ultrasounds.
Monitoring hours during the week were from 6:45-7:45 and by appointment on the weekends. Even when it was crowded, they moved fairly quickly. The results of the bloodwork were available on Patient Gateway within a few hours and you would usually get a phone call that afternoon from the nurse.
In Massachusetts, most fertility treatments are covered by insurance with co-pays. We did pay out of pocket for a few elective things - freezing samples, ICSI and PGS but all told it was under $10k.
Boston

I really like Dr. Fox personally and she was very candid on the statistics for success as well as other options. She won't actively put herself in our position and say what "she" would do which I sometimes want her to do, I understand these are very personal decisions and she tries to give us all of the information we need to make the decisions. She is very sensitive to our individual situation and it feels like she is personally committed to us becoming pregnant and having a successful pregnancy.
Nothing runs on time and it's very difficult to get someone to pick up a phone [at Brigham & Women's Hospital]. You often are on hold for a while or &gt; 5 hours (or a day) will pass before a returned call. "Customer service" is lacking but the medical care is great. The receptionists are very nice and act like they remember me, which is well received.... I have had a few instances where the nurse hasn't called with results and I have had to reach out hours after I have seen the results posted to the hositpal website. It's not always clear what procedure you are expected to follow for the bloodwork and u/s, especially the first time. Overall, the clinic lacks customer service. It definitely runs like a hospital not like a for profit enterprise holding your hand every step of the way.
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She doesn't sugar coat but she's very smart and experienced. She'll answer anything you ask, just make sure you ask! It's sometimes hard to get a hold of her outside of normal appointments and she often runs behind so our appointments didn't run on time.
She is very personable and we were able to establish a personal connection quickly. While she states the facts (which are hard to hear), she acknowledges that it's a hard message and I feel like she feels bad when we don't have a successful outcome even though our chances are low.
I did 2 patch protocol cycles and 1 micro dose Lipton cycle. I am currently doing my 3rd patch protocol. In both protocols, I was on the highest dose of medication (4 menopur in the morning) and 300 of final-f in the evening. This was because my test results showed a diminished ovarian reserve. The first cycle we had 7 follicles, 5 eggs retrieved and fertilized and all transferred. The 2nd cycle we had 7 eggs retrieved 2 fertilized and both transferred. The 3rd cycle took much longer for stimulation (30 days Vs 12-14 for the first two) and resulted in 3 eggs, 1 fertilized and 1 transferred. All were a negative result. This current cycle Dr Fox and team decided to give us one last chance on the patch protocol since my stimulation was materially better. We are self-pay and while a significant burden we were willing to spend the money on a 4 th cycle before deciding potentially to do egg donation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Sandy Vance mainly and many others)
It's sometimes hard to get in touch with the team which can be frustrating. As I have been interacting with the nursing team for a while now, I know each of the personalities better. They are all very compassionate and try to share in your excitement or sadness.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Nothing runs on time and it's very difficult to get someone to pick up a phone. You often are on hold for a while or &gt; 5 hours (or a day) will pass before a returned call. "Customer service" is lacking but the medical care is great. The receptionists are very nice and act like they remember me, which is well received.
11k
Janis Fox

3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
She [Dr. Ashby] was open, compassionate and really took her time to explain my diagnosis and how we were going to move forward with a plan. I had 3 egg retrievals and 0 embryos from all 3 combined. I have Diminished Ovarian Reserve and outlook was looking bleak. She had the difficult conversation with me and my husband about exploring other options like donor eggs or adoption. This was very upseting to us but she gave us examples of couples she had treated in the past who were successful with donor eggs....
They [Brigham - Boston] always ran on time. I was always treated with respect. I always received prompt emails/test results/call backs after leaving messages...Alison was my primary nurse when going through the donor egg process and she was OK. She wasn't the best I've ever dealt with. There were a few tests that she didn't tell me about that I needed. At the end of the day, she was fine, but I remember feeling frustrated at times dealing with her. there were a few tests/shots that she didn't tell me about which almost caused a set back with my embryo transfer.
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby always treated me like a friend. She was open, compassionate and really took her time to explain my diagnosis and how we were going to move forward with a plan. I had 3 egg retrievals and 0 embryos from all 3 combined. I have Diminished Ovarian Reserve and outlook was looking bleak. She had the difficult conversation with me and my husband about exploring other options like donor eggs or adoption. This was very upseting to us but she gave us examples of couples she had treated in the past who were successful with donor eggs. She never made me feel bad about my diagnosis and was always very positive and said that we will have a baby one day and she was going to help us get there one way or another. She had a gentle bedside manner but at the same time was always very candid with the reality of our situation. She never forced us to move forward with donor eggs. She explained she would continue to treat us and try another protocol but after 3 failed cycles, it wasn't looking good. She also recommended a 2nd opinion just so we could feel good about our decision moving forward.
Trust her advice and opinions. She isn't super clinical but still explains the clinical side of fertility treatments. Ask lots of questions.
I always felt as if Dr. Ashby had my best interest at heart. Her end goal is to ensure you have a healthy baby no matter how you get there. She was relatable in the sense that she had her own fertility struggles and explained what she went through to have children. She always explained things in a digestable way and always made time to answer as many questions as my husband and I had.
I don't remember the exact treatment plan but considering I have diminished ovarian reserve (at 35), I went through 3 very aggressive treatments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Alison)
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
They always ran on time. I was always treated with respect. I always received prompt emails/test results/call backs after leaving messages.
They were pretty efficient for the most part.
My insurance covered the majority of the meds and procedure costs. I was lucky.
She has a strong preference for one embryo transfer. Her end goal is healthy mom and healthy baby.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
There were some tests and shots that I wasn't informed about that almost help up an embryo transfer. It ended up working out since the egg retrieval was delayed by a few weeks because of the donor. But if this hasn't happened, I was going to have to do a frozen transfer and not a fresh transfer the way I was originally told it was going to happen.

Endometriosis, Male Factor
[Dr. Mark Hornstein's] approach changed with each failed cycle or canceled transfer. We were constantly balancing increased endometriosis pain while during ovarian stimulation. So his approach to stimming was a bit conservative with me. However, we were very much in alignment, going for quality over quantity. I stimmed with GonalF for my first retrieval and got quite a few low quality embryos. He adjusted the approach for the second retrieval, adding in Menopur, resulting in better quality embryos, and my pregnancy.
Be prepared to wait [at Brigham & Women's Hospital], and there will often be children in the ultrasound waiting room, especially on weekends. The clinic itself is often running behind schedule, but they are good at letting you know where you are in line...I do feel that his nurse at the time was a weak link in the process. There were some communication issues there, but I soon figured out how best to work with her. I would not let the nursing staff dissuade me from using this doctor.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Hornstein is an excellent communicator. He seems aware of the power differential between patient and doctor, and actively mitigates it during consultation by listening actively within the time constraints of the visit. By the time I became his patient, it was clear that I likely had endometriosis that previous doctors failed to take seriously as a reason for both my infertility and severe pain. My goals closely aligned with his, which likely made him a good fit for my case (single embryo transfer, plenty of cool down time between failed transfers, aggressive pain management of my endometriosis during the process). I came to him in crisis and feeling hopeless. He validated all of my anger and frustration, and my sens that "something just wasn't right." He had me in the OR within 6 weeks to remove endometriosis and we were on to infertility treatment from there, quickly moving to IVF. His approach is wholly evidence-based, which I appreciated greatly. Dr. Hornstein never did any of my infertility procedures because you get who is on the schedule. But there was never a moment that he wasn't up to speed on my care. I had a lot of setbacks: return of endometriosis, two canceled transfers, two failed cycles, some complications post second retrieval. It was a long road from the start of my care to the MFM hand off once I finally got pregnant (2 years, 4 months), but there was never a moment where I doubted his clinical judgement. I have no regrets about choosing him, and would feel the same way had I not ultimately been successful (my husband agrees). I hesitate to write this because it may identify who I am as a patient, but it's very important. As a woman with a significant physical disability, Dr. Hornstein never once questioned my ability to be a mom. Other doctors had, in ways that were unfounded and not evidence-based. He cared about my disability when it was relevant, and didn't when it wasn't. It's hard to put into words how refreshing that is, as OB/GYN care is particularly challenging due to my disability. He always took the extra time needed for pelvic exams and procedures (HSG, SIS), and collaborated with my physician who cared for my disabling condition when necessary. I would not hesitate to recommend him to any woman with a mobility-limiting disability.
Come in with your questions ready, trust his judgement, be patient with the process.
Dr. Hornstein always took the time I needed even when his schedule was booked, and always answered every question. Pelvic exams are difficult for me due to physical disability, and I have had previous terrible experiences with gynecologists as a result. He is the most accommodating doctor I have ever seen in a specialty unrelated to my disability. I continue to see him for endometriosis management.
I do not remember specifics, but I do remember his approach changed with each failed cycle or canceled transfer. We were constantly balancing increased endometriosis pain while during ovarian stimulation. So his approach to stimming was a bit conservative with me. However, we were very much in alignment, going for quality over quantity. I stimmed with GonalF for my first retrieval and got quite a few low quality embryos. He adjusted the approach for the second retrieval, adding in Menopur, resulting in better quality embryos, and my pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
You have a choice of where to do your monitoring if you can't come into Boston, but it's still a time consuming process. I often did monitoring in Foxborough and once at Chestnut Hill. The wait times for monitoring can be very long at BWH Boston. Be prepared to wait, and there will often be children in the ultrasound waiting room, especially on weekends. The clinic itself is often running behind schedule, but they are good at letting you know where you are in line. You really could do so much worse than BWH, though. And living in Central MA I have.
Very busy at BWH Boston on the weekends. There will be children in the waiting room, so prepare yourself if that is a concern. I did weekday monitoring at Foxborough, and once at Chestnut Hill. Foxborough was, for the most part, a well-oiled machine. But, factor in time for traffic if you are taking 495. The courier service that picks up the blood for analysis at the main hospital is always on time and if you miss the window you are out of luck. No exceptions. As a patient driving in from central MA I often had to just judge by traffic whether I could beat the courier at Foxborough or if I just needed to drive into Boston.
We have a state mandate in Massachusetts that requires private insurance to cover a maximum of six fresh cycles of IVF. IUIs, drugs, and infertility testing are also covered. My daughter is a $200k kid. I paid, maybe $2,000 of that once you figure in copays for office visits, surgery and meds. If you don't live in Massachusetts, my advice is to get here now. No one should have to go broke to have a kid. You're supposed to go broke after you have the kid. ;-)
I opted for elective single embryo transfer because of my physical disability. We were in agreement about that. As the process dragged on and treatment wore me down, at one point I suggested trying two. He was gentle in his reminders of why I chose eSET and I agreed. I did not push back on this.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
My husband received a diagnosis of male factor infertility during our time at this clinic. Somehow, our insurance company knew this before we did, and it resulted in an awkward conversation with the insurance coordinator while we were scrambling to figure out why insurance was no longer covering IUI ("uh... it looks like your husband is infertile, too?"). I don't know where exactly the ball was dropped, but it happens (and you should expect this to happen at least once with infertility treatment. There's just so many aspects of care to juggle). I was pretty upset with my doctor, but appreciated his apology.

2013 - 2016
She [Dr. Elizabeth Ginsburg] goes directly to the point and is very clear about possibilities and scenarios. She was quick to adjust my protocol when she did not get the amount of eggs expected. She is knowledgeable about insurances and will keep contact with other providers to ensure everything is ready... Pam handled most of the communication, but all of the nursing staff was always quick to return calls and keep me updated. When they had bad news to report they always did it in a manner that felt they were sorry and empathetic.
Getting a first appointment can take a long while, also because they Brigham & Women's Hospital] are so busy they will only allow you to have one pending appointment at a time. When problems arise they do get you in the same day without problems... Pam handled most of the communication, but all of the nursing staff was always quick to return calls and keep me updated. When they had bad news to report they always did it in a manner that felt they were sorry and empathetic.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She goes directly to the point and is very clear about possibilities and scenarios. She was quick to adjust my protocol when she did not get the amount of eggs expected. She is knowledgeable about insurances and will keep contact with other providers to ensure everything is ready
Our first transfer ended up with an ectopic pregnancy, she showed a lot empathy and urged us to find the silver lining that we had achieved pregnancy. With every failed cycle she always mentioned how we were getting closer to our goal. She is not touchy-feely but she is not cold either.
Most treatments were the same, Lupron as well as GonalF. My last cycle where she adjusted the protocol to try to increase the egg yield, she added a birth control patch and Menopur
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Pam Reilly)
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Getting a first appointment can take a long while, also because they are so busy they will only allow you to have one pending appointment at a time. When problems arise they do get you in the same day without problems. Getting appointments that require testing can result in you having an ultrasound at 10 am and then seeing the doctor at 1 pm, so you need to plan accordingly.
Everything was covered by insurance, we only had to pay deductible, but I believe a full cycle with retrieval and transfer was around $15,000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The hospital had technical difficulties during one of my cycles because of ruptured pipes over the retrieval facilities. They transferred the retrieval to another facility and the timing scheduled was missed and I had ovulated by the time they went in to retrieve my eggs. This counted against my insurance limit and it put us through an undue amount of stress