Genetic counseling: Offered
1032 Main Street
South Weymouth, MA 02190
75 Francis Street
Stratham, NH 03885
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Brigham & Women's Hospital to a friend?

This is part of the Brigham and Women's hospital in Boston. ... The staff in the day surgery center were fantastic, they are committed to excellence and clear communication, which will prevent mistakes. Outstanding facility. ... I called the billing department, they acknowledged it was an error, apologized, and told me to ignore the bill. ... Everyone I spoke to was incredibly helpful and this is something that happens with pretty much every practitioner I see with my health coverage.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This is part of the Brigham and Women's hospital in Boston. I can't think of a single weakness of the facility that isn't tied into my personal preferences. The staff in the day surgery center were fantastic, they are committed to excellence and clear communication, which will prevent mistakes. Outstanding facility.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Gargulio was incredibly warm, kind, and extremely empathetic. Instead of pressuring me into IVF like three other doctors did, he listened to my reasons for wanting my tubal ligation reversed and ultimately agreed with and validated my choice.
I had a different nurse at each visit. All of the nurses were very positive and up-beat, with excellent attitudes. Everyone I saw was capable and pleasant to be around. My post-op nurse, Sparkle, was fantastic (for what little I remember from my post-operative haze). I have nothing but good things to say regarding any of the nurses.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
As I mentioned, Dr. Garguilo has a phenomenal bedside manner. I cannot get over how incredibly kind he is, and how positive I felt every time I left an appointment. He is very honest and encouraging and evaluated me as an individual rather than a statistic. He kept my husband involved in everything, including visits to see him in the waiting room both before and after my procedure (I had a robotic tubal reanastemosis done, not IUI, but that's not a selection on this web site). When I brought up an issue with billing, something that I did NOT feel was part of his performance but wanted him to know, he immediately took steps to have me speak with someone who could help. Dr. Gargulio is a fantastic doctor and I highly recommend him to anyone looking to have a tubal ligation reversed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
My one piece of advice is to not bother calling anyone else - call Dr. Gargulio's office. I went through three doctors - one of whom treated me so poorly that I had given up on ever having children again - and my only regret is that I hadn't found him sooner.
Describe the protocols Antonio Gargiulo used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
I would like to repeat that I didn't have a fertility procedure or analysis done, but this particular website doesn't allow for that. I went to Dr. Gargulio because I wanted my tubal ligation reversed. The procedure had been done by my Ob/Gyn when I was in an abusive relationship (and I felt pressured by her nurse to have it done instead of another method of birth control) and began to regret it as soon as that relationship ended. I had an initial visit with Dr. Gargulio where we discussed IVF or tubal reanastemosis, with my very strong preference being the surgery. I was given some statistical information, then came back for a pre-operative visit where risks and statistics were discussed in further depth, and I signed my consent. I then had my surgical visit, followed by a post-operative visit where I was told that I can schedule a dye test to ensure my tubes remained open at my convenience. I am still within one month of post-op, so I don't have any results aside from the overwhelming satisfaction of having my fallopian tubes intact.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
There was a one time bill of (approximately) $8,500, which would include a refund if I did not require an overnight stay. This included my consultation, pre and post op appointments, the surgery, and a hystogram (dye test) following the surgery.
Describe Antonio Gargiulo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This is not applicable to my situation. My doctor's approach of using a robot to perform my tubal ligation reversal laprascopically made my recovery time quick and easy, with a much lower risk of complications and infection.
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
The Center for Infertility is deep inside BWH. It's a huge pain to drive to (you have to pay $8 in the parking garage each and every time you go for monitoring) and it's not an in-and-out type of place....When you go for monitoring at BWH, you are quite literally a number and you're there waiting for blood/ultrasound with 20 other people who are also there for a million other things, pregnancy monitoring included. For this reason, if you are particularly sensitive or triggered by women with big bellies, this is not the clinic for you.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The Center for Infertility is deep inside BWH. It's a huge pain to drive to (you have to pay $8 in the parking garage each and every time you go for monitoring) and it's not an in-and-out type of place. My last clinic had a parking lot and everything was fast and simple, so switching to BWH was a major adjustment. When you go for monitoring at BWH, you are quite literally a number and you're there waiting for blood/ultrasound with 20 other people who are also there for a million other things, pregnancy monitoring included. For this reason, if you are particularly sensitive or triggered by women with big bellies, this is not the clinic for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Ginsburg herself was lovely and although she's not the warmest doctor I've encountered, she certainly cares (she's just not touchy-feely, and that was okay for me). She is brilliant and experienced, but she also sees hundreds of patients and she practices at one of the biggest hospitals in the world, so it's hard not to sometimes feel like a number, even if it's not intentional.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Pam Whitney)
Pam echoes Dr. Ginsburg's approach in her directness. She is warm in her own way, but you won't get endless hugs or handholding. She is matter of fact and quick in her delivery. I often felt a little silly asking her a million questions and although I was worried I was bothering her, she never acted that way. She was very quick to respond, which I appreciated.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Before coming BWH and seeing Dr. Ginsburg, I was a patient at a much smaller fertility clinic called Fertility Solutions. The difference between the two clinics was considerable. At FS, there are just 3 doctors and over the course of my two year treatment there, I got to know each doctor very well and all the nurses as well. Dr. Ginsburg is one of about 12 (this is just a guess) Reproductive Endocrinologists at BWH and she sees hundreds of patients. This does not mean she cares less about each individual, it just means (in my opinion) she has a more streamlined and matter of fact approach simply due to the volume of people she sees. I came to her because my treatment at FS came to a screeching halt due to having to make incredibly difficult decisions. The doctors wanted to help, but I just felt like they didn't have the experience or knowledge at this point to help me make important choices. They were willing to try new things, but it was all up to me. Dr. Ginsburg had seen other women in my situation (severe endometriosis and multiple ectopic pregnancies) and she was able to give me clear direction and guidance. It was refreshing to hear someone make the call for me, when all I had experienced was "sure, we can try that if you want". Sometimes you just want someone to tell you what to do. Dr. Ginsburg is not warm and fuzzy, but she's brilliant and confident, and she shows her true compassion in her own special way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
If you're okay with a direct approach and matter of fact guidance, Dr. Ginsburg is the doctor for you. I would recommend her to anyone because of how brilliant she is at her job, but I would absolutely warn them that they will not be seeing her much (only for initial consultations or meetings to discuss big decisions) and make sure they are okay with very little handholding.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Ginsburg used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Unlike my other two cycles, Dr. G had me on menopur and much less progesterone in oil. She also increased my Gonal F a considerable amount. I produced about 20% more eggs with her protocol.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I shared this in my review of the clinic itself, but monitoring is very impersonal here. It didn't bother me because I have fairly thick skin, but for those who are more nervous and triggered by the site of pregnant women literally everywhere, the monitoring experience would be difficult. Your ultrasound will be done by a different person every time so becoming comfortable with the process is necessary
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
My insurance covered most of the costs of my IVF treatment here, but we are moving on to using a gestational carrier and insurance does not cover this at all.
Describe Elizabeth Ginsburg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I did not end up transferring at BWH
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological
Strengths: - Great Location - Clean - Staff was wonderful - Early morning hours - Always accommodating - A nurse is always on call - It is a satellite location for Brigham and Womens. This is wonderful to not have to drive to Boston for monitoring visits Weaknesses - Not a deal breaker but they close at 3:30p ... They [nursing staff] were all there after each failed cycle and were willing to help us with any resources they needed. We never felt rush at any appointment or never felt like a bother calling with the simplest question.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Gargiulo was wonderful from the first appointment we had with him. He treated us with compassion and was delicate regarding our gloomy outlook of having a natural child. He always took the time to ask us how we were both doing and always made time for our phone calls or routinely stayed later to make sure there was an appointment. Even with our tough diagnosis we have trusted him every step of the way. His nursing staff were also wonderful, they always made us feel welcomed and took the time to explain the next steps.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Marcia )
Wonderful! The entire staff was wonderful, not just Marcia. They were always on top of what my next steps where. They were all there after each failed cycle and were willing to help us with any resources they needed. We never felt rush at any appointment or never felt like a bother calling with the simplest question.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
He was warm and compassionate. He understood our deep desire to have a child and was willing to think outside the box which we appreciated as standard approaches were not going to work; which we knew from the first appointment. He never had to look back at my notes to reference previous cycles, he always seemed so well prepared for our visits and did not spend our time flipping through a chart. He is one of the best physicians I have ever met and I work for the best hospital in Boston.
Understand that as much as you want a positive outcome it is not always possible. You have to go in with an open mind and remember that Dr. Gargiulo will do anything possible to give you the best possible outcome.
I was referred to Dr. Gargiulo with a tough diagnosis. During the first appointment he was very frank with my husband and myself to explain the low percentage of having a child with my own eggs. After the first appointment he recommended a large volume of tests to understand why I had diminished ovarian reserve at such a young age. At our second appointment we were told that I had an undiagnosed thyroid antibody that attacked my reproductive system. Dr. Gargiulo understood our deep desire to try anything we could. We started an IVF cycle immediately with the highest dose of medications he could give me. We got to cycle day 24 and my eggs died on their own without maturing. Four months later we tried a different IVF cycle; Lupron Microflare and this cycle only got to day 7 and my hormones were unchanged. After 2 failed cycles Dr. Gargiulo recommended to use Donor eggs. Even through this entire time he was understanding and warm with his approach even with such devastating news. After 2 additional second opinions in Boston from other top IVF providers; we have started the Donor egg process. Both of the second opinions agreed completely with Dr. Gargiulos approach
Copays for Office Visits and Failed IVF procedures.
Dr. Gargiulo based the embryo transfer on the patients age and diagnosis. On our first cycle he suggested only 1 embryo transfer. With our second IVF cycle he was going to recommend to the insurance company a 2 embryo transfer due to the rapid decline in my ovarian reserve. We never got to the embryo transfer state though for either cycle.
Stratham

Overall, the clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital] is great. Sometimes there can be a long wait, but it’s probably because they spend as much time as needed with their patients. I wish there was a satellite clinic closer to me as it is an hour from my house and coming in for blood work and appointments can be cumbersome...staff is pleasant and helpful...Pam [nurse] is very helpful, very kind and responsive...Consultantations that are not diagnostic are around $200.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Overall, the clinic is great. Sometimes there can be a long wait, but it’s probably because they spend as much time as needed with their patients. I wish there was a satellite clinic closer to me as it is an hour from my house and coming in for blood work and appointments can be cumbersome, but it is all worth it.
She is funny, straight to the point and warm without giving false hope. Her staff is pleasant and helpful.
Pam is very helpful, very kind and responsive.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg is intelligent, funny and straightforward. She is kind but does not give false hope. She listens to our concerns and did not push anything that we were not comfortable with. She explained things to us completely and made sure we had clear instructions for the next steps.
I would say that if you are overly sensitive to prepare yourself for science and straightforwardness. I appreciated this with her, but I have also had my diagnosis for years.
First, she put me on metformin ER 1500mg with the plan to take until 2nd trimester of pregnancy. The side effects were too much for my body so she reduced it to 750mg after 3 months. During the first first she also gave me a 6 month prescription for letrozole 2.5mg to be taken days 3-7 of my cycle until pregnancy occurs. She also had my husband do a sperm analysis and did not assume the problem was me even with my diagnosis. She also suggested I get an HSG done. We decided to hold off on that until the 6 month period was over. I was only 30 at the time so she was fine with that. After the six months, I had the HSG showing no issues. She doubled the dose of letrozole and I am currently on my second cycle of that level dose. The first cycle drastically increased ovulation so they are hopeful it will take this round. If not, we are going to try one more cycle and then discuss IUI.
Some were covered by insurance as it was “Diagnostic”. Consultantations that are not diagnostic are around $200. We have not had many other bills yet. It costs $9 an hour to park in the garage.
Boston

The clinic secretary [at Brigham & Women's Hospital] was a little rough around the edges at first, especially when it came to getting medical records. My OBGYN is in the same BWH network and the records are all linked electronically, however a nurse from my OBGYN office had to call the clinic as the secretary did not believe me over the phone. Otherwise, I have had no issues with the clinic...Nurse Nancy performed the IUI that got me pregnant so I am forever grateful to her.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The clinic secretary was a little rough around the edges at first, especially when it came to getting medical records. My OBGYN is in the same BWH network and the records are all linked electronically, however a nurse from my OBGYN office had to call the clinic as the secretary did not believe me over the phone. Otherwise, I have had no issues with the clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I only saw Dr. Fox at the beginning of treatment and after success, with several months between. Due to this, during my last visit it felt like Dr. Fox was not up to date on my care and cycles I had gone through.
Some of the nurses are better than others. At my first visit for blood work, the nurse said "oh your husband is a scientist, you'd think he would be smart enough to get you pregnant." Considering it's a fertility clinic, it was surprising to hear the lack of compassion and overall knowledge of how to speak to patients that may have tried to get pregnant for years. However, the other nurses on staff were great and Nurse Nancy performed the IUI that got me pregnant so I am forever grateful to her.
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Fox is more clinical than warm, which my OBGYN had previously warned me about. However, she is very knowledgeable and is ready with a treatment plan once all the tests are completed. She is flexible to the patient's wants/needs and didn't force any treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Be prepared with questions and speak up if you prefer one treatment or drug over another.
Describe the protocols Janis Fox used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
I started on the lowest dose of letrozole, with intention of doing 3 IUIs and then moving onto IVF. Due to travel, my first two IUIs had to be cancelled. The 1st completed IUI worked much to my and Dr. Fox's surprise.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
My insurance covered fertility treatment.
South Shore

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital] was well run overall. I felt that the size of the clinic was manageable and my wait for testing was always reasonable. They were efficiently run and organized. Having cycled elsewhere, I would say this was an overall excellent place to do IVF.... It is small nursing staff that I got to know well over the years. They always returned phone calls in a timely manner and were helpful. I felt they were organized and I had a great experience.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The clinic was well run overall. I felt that the size of the clinic was manageable and my wait for testing was always reasonable. They were efficiently run and organized. Having cycled elsewhere, I would say this was an overall excellent place to do IVF.
Dr. Fox was compassionate and thoughtful doctor. She was extremely thorough in her workup, and would seek alternative opinions when she felt necessary. I appreciated that she knew her own strengths and weaknesses.
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She was a great doctor and I would recommend her. She sometimes wavered on decision making, but I always felt she was very clear. I had an overall good experience, even though I did not have a successful pregnancy under her care.
Be prepared to wait. She runs behind often because she is willing to give each and every patient the time that they need. I never felt rushed and she was always willing to answer my questions!
I did multiple protocols with Dr. Fox including the antagonist protocol, VLD lupron protocol, and ULD lupron protocol. She definitely had a rationale for each. The cases are discussed in a IVF committee at Brigham before finalizing your treatment plan. This gave my confidence that there was expert consensus on my plan.
Efficient smaller clinic. Overall very well run. No complaints!
Covered by insurance mostly.
Describe Janis Fox's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
They have an algorithm for the number to transfer based on age and number retrieved. This also determines whether you proceed with a day 3 or day 5 transfer.
South Shore

Dr. Gargiulo's surgical coordinator [Brigham & Women's Hospital] is outstanding. I live in Virginia, which presented challenges to obtaining care in Boston. The surgical coordinator accommodated my situation flawlessly. She planned all of my pre-op appointments across the hospital for a single afternoon... All but one of the nurses were compassionate and patient, even when I was admittedly cranky and brusque.... All appointments, surgery and medicine were covered by my insurance
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Gargiulo's surgical coordinator is outstanding. I live in Virginia, which presented challenges to obtaining care in Boston. The surgical coordinator accommodated my situation flawlessly. She planned all of my pre-op appointments across the hospital for a single afternoon (I could have flown home that evening had I wanted to); and provided a surgery date during the winter holiday season that ensured Dr. Gargiulo could do my post-op check-up at the 10-day mark, allowing me to return to Virginia and trim expenses (we stayed in an Air BnB about a half-mile from BWH). The surgical coordinator was very responsive by both phone and email. I didn't see any clinic weaknesses but I likely had less interaction than patients with more complex fertility issues.
I live in Virginia. A friend in Boston recommended Dr. Gargiulo to me. He and his staff went out of their way to accommodate me as an out-of-state patient. Dr. Gargiulo and each member of his staff and surgical team were kind, thoughtful and thoroughly familiar with my personal circumstances, while being both extremely efficient and flexible. I dithered regarding surgery for nine months, with no pressure from Dr. Gargiulo. Once I made up my mind, he and his staff went into fifth gear to make it happen on the timeline that best suited my personal (long-distance) circumstances.
All but one of the nurses were compassionate and patient, even when I was admittedly cranky and brusque. My bladder didn't "wake up" properly after surgery. The post-op nurses stayed well into the early evening to give my body time to right itself, and tried every trick to get my bladder functioning. Unfortunately, nothing worked so, in order to be released from the hospital rather than staying overnight, I had to agree to retaining the catheter. By the next afternoon when I returned to Dr. Gargiulo's clinic to see whether the catheter could be removed, I was not the most pleasant person. (Whatever anyone else says, I can affirm that a catheter is really uncomfortable!) The nurses and the P.A. were nonetheless kind and calm. They acknowledged my discomfort -- which one post-op nurse had downplayed, really ticking me off. I greatly appreciated their willingness to recognize that the catheter was causing pain, and the true sympathy they showed. That type of care makes all the difference.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Gargiulo had performed a myomectomy for one of my friends several years earlier. When I was diagnosed with multiple fibroids, she asked him whether he would consider consulting with me long distance (I reside in Virginia). He immediately said yes and provided his email address. We discussed my case via email and he ordered an MRI, which I obtained locally. He requested that I send a disc with the images so that he could evaluate my condition himself, rather than relying on the radiologist's report. He provided an assessment and recommendation (all remotely at no cost) but didn't pressure me to travel to Boston or make a decision. After nine months' hesitation, I opted to move forward with surgery (laparoscopic robotic myomectomy). Dr. Gargiulo never criticized or commented on the delay, other than ordering a new MRI to ensure that he fully understood the fibroids current state. He and his staff quickly arranged both a half-day of pre-op appointments across the hospital (so that I would only have to be in Boston for one day) and a surgery date. When I finally met Dr. Gargiulo in person, he was welcoming, kind and cheerful. He walked me through the MRI images and thoroughly explained what the surgery would entail and possible additional elective procedures (but with no pressure to authorize them). My uterus was riddled with fibroids, three of which were the size of a small fist; unlike my regular gynecologist, he never suggested a hysterectomy. His entire focus was to preserve my uterus, even though at my age a spontaneous pregnancy is extremely unlikely. On the day of surgery, he stopped in to chat during my prep (he hadn't even changed into scrubs yet), spoke with my mother immediately after surgery, and came back once I was reasonably coherent. He took the time to remove more tumors than originally planned and, when he discovered adhesions holding my ovaries and fallopian tubes to the pelvic wall, removed them. He accelerated my post-op appointment by a few days so that I could return to Virginia more quickly (though I am certain he would have requested I stay had I not been healing well). During that appointment, he went over all of my surgery's details, offered images of the procedure and discussed potential pregnancy options. At all times, he was kind, thorough, patient and positive. He never condescended or tried to rush me; he never tried to badger me into making a particular choice.
Don't hesitate to ask questions via email or in person. He will answer all of them completely and in a timely fashion.
I only pursued removal of fibroid tumors. Dr. Gargiulo wanted a current MRI to ensure that he fully understood the landscape before arriving in the O.R. Because I had delayed making a decision for almost nine months, that meant getting a second set of images. I have good insurance so it wasn't an issue. He predicted he would remove the three largest tumors but ended up taking out seven, which together weighed almost a pound and were five times the size of my uterus. My menstrual cycle is no longer debilitating; my abdomen has returned to being flat; and I've lost about 8 lbs (taking my rather old body back to what I weighed 25 years ago!). If I choose to become pregnant, Dr. Gargiulo strongly recommended I deliver via C-section.
All appointments, surgery and medicine were covered by my insurance with relatively small co-pays (combined, less than $600). I did notice on a co-pay statement that the stated non-negotiated cost for the laparoscopic robotic myomectomy was $61,000.
Boston

The nurses there [Brigham] were also so nice, the doctors were considerate and informative, everything went smoothly...the waiting room is small and cozy, the check-in people (Kim and Alicia) are always there, there are only a couple different US techs, and usually the same woman drawing blood. Familiar faces are nice to see...If you call the nurses line someone always returns your call. They call you with test results usually around lunch time and give you further details.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Brigham Women's is a state of the art hospital, and Partner's Healthcare is at the top of the medical profession. The clinic at Newton Wellesley Hospital in Newton has a small and cozy waiting room, and new and clean medical rooms with new equipment. They can do everything the large clinics can do, but better - they can even do simple procedures in their offices there like the mock transfer or hysteroscopy. You have your surgeries at BWH in Boston, and while when I was there there was construction happening on the floor, the facility itself was perfect. The nurses there were also so nice, the doctors were considerate and informative, everything went smoothly. I actually liked being there :) which matters when you are about to have surgery. Love everything about my experiences at BWH.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby and her nurses have always spoken to me by name, called me with results on time, returned calls when I had questions, and treated me with compassion. The clinic at Newton - Wellesley is MUCH smaller than Boston IVF, so while there is the 7am ultrasounds with check-in sheet, the waiting room is small and cozy, the check-in people (Kim and Alicia) are always there, there are only a couple different US techs, and usually the same woman drawing blood. Familiar faces are nice to see. Even though it is a hospital, it isn't a very large one, it feels more like a doctors office inside of a medical building. But a very clean, newly renovated one - not like an old crusty one.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
There are multiple nurses - Nancy, Lisa... those are the names I remember. If you call the nurses line someone always returns your call. They call you with test results usually around lunch time and give you further details. Sometimes you need to know what to ask, but they will give you the info you want if you do. Nancy specifically was VERY helpful to me this new cycle - when my first one failed I was really upset and she took the time to talk to me in her office for a few minutes. I have a feeling my husband's company may revise our plan to remove fertility benefits at the end of the year, and this was already October when our first cycle failed. So I was concerned I would have issues completing another cycle before I lost benefits - and she went above and beyond to help me get Dr. Ashby's new plan in place AND insurance approval by the following day! That was CRAZY fast - and because of her we were able to start this new cycle this month so we can get through it before the end of December!
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby is pretty straight forward, she definitely gives you a dose of reality, but in a compassionate way. Prior to seeking her help I had one cycle converted to IUI, and one cycle where I ovulated prematurely when I went in for retrieval of two follicles (both at Boston IVF). My numbers were not good when we met - my FSH was basically 12, and she did not think my chances of getting eggs were great. We discussed considering donor eggs, and tried to help me see that a child that wasn't genetically mine would still be a child worth loving. She also said that she felt IVF cycles might be robbing me of getting pregnant naturally, because I was spending a lot of time to get one egg, which I was already getting each month on my own. I left her office a MESS. My previous doctor had mentioned donor eggs, but had seemed more optimistic about my chances of conceiving with my own eggs. It was definitely a hard conversation to have, but I appreciated her candor. Despite her concerns, Dr. Ashby said she would try her most aggressive approach (Lupron flare) to see if she could wake up my ovaries. It felt like it was going to be a last ditch effort, and if it didn't work, I was likely to stop trying. Well it did work. I stimmed for 18 long days, but they retrieved 4 eggs, all which fertilized and were frozen (my progesterone had spiked so I had to freeze all and wait to transfer in the next cycle). Dr. Ashby was SO happy for me. She said she had hoped for 2, and was amazed I got 4, and they all fertilized. She was newly optimistic for me - and said she would definitely do it again if this time didn't take, based on those results. Ultimately 3 were transferred (4, 7, 10) but none stuck - so we are back at it again next month. But Dr. Ashby is confident now - and said the two larger embryos were really nice - so my chances aren't bad.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby wants you to succeed in getting pregnant, that is her goal, she is on your side.
Describe the protocols Rachel Ashby used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
We did a lupon flare protocol. BCP for 10 days before cycle, then 300 iu Menupur and diluted Lupron in AM, and 300 iu of Follistim and diluted Lupron in PM. The downreg of Lupron really slowed me down so they could kick as much FSH into me as possible. My follicles grew really slow, then in a day grew 5mm all of sudden. Ultimately I stimmed for 18 days before an Ovidrel trigger and retrieval.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
the appointment was $645 to meet with the doctor, my meds were about $30k (but that was billed to insurance so I don't know the real cost) my surgery for retrieval was $12k and the transfer was $4,500. I am so fortunate to have had insurance coverage.
Describe Rachel Ashby's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
We transferred 3 - Dr. Ashby said she would transfer 2 if they looked good or 3 if they looked not great. The embryologist said the algorithm they use said to put back 3 - but the smallest was only 4 cells so I kind of felt like that one was a low chance shot of 'why not?' since the 4th was only 3 cells - it didn't make it to refreezing.
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

Billing [at Brigham & Women's] was through an app or in office. It was easy to pay but difficult to understand what you were excatly paying for...When I needed off hour support, the fellow on staff was always available. They were professional and caring at all hours of the night...Very busy and you got who you got for your medical procedures. However, all staff at the hospital were great! I always felt confident and comfortable. I was prepared for each step. The scheduling and insurance personnel were easy to work with. I could easily contact them during normal business hours.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Very busy and you got who you got for your medical procedures. However, all staff at the hospital were great! I always felt confident and comfortable. I was prepared for each step. The scheduling and insurance personnel were easy to work with. I could easily contact them during normal business hours. When I needed off hour support, the fellow on staff was always available. They were professional and caring at all hours of the night.
When with Dr.Ginsburg I always felt Respected and listened to. My question were always anwsered and we always left with a sense of hope! However the clinic is very busy and the nurses in the Weymouth office can make you feel rushed. As long as you advocate for yourself and don't mind repeating info to them, they get the job done!
Strengths- they always got right back to me with answers to my questions and/or with next steps. They would listen to me if I advocate for myself and seemed to respect that. Blood and ultrasound was fast and efficient Weakness- often times conversations would be rushed and overwhelming. They never seemed to know my history. The hospital staff in Boston was always caring and did not seem rushed!
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Ginsburg knows her stuff! For that reason alone I would recommend her. She will tell you how it is, explain whatever you need explaining. She is very professional and won't sugar coat news. I needed that because I knew I could trust her. She always had a plan for me and our visits were productive. She advocated for me with my insurance company and listened to my concerns. I never felt pressured into trying medication or doing the next step. I cannot say enough positive things about her!!!
Expect honest answers that are not sugar coated.
Leterzole- 3times, 3 different doses. This was supposed to get my body to ovulate. It failed Leterzole (7.5mg) with trigger shot. This made me ovulate but no successful pregnancy IUI- we did not do this because once on injectable medication my response could not be controlled. I would produce more than a few eggs even on a small dose based on my AMH level (15). iVF- we used various injectable medication. I had an egg retrieval that got 28 mature eggs. 16 lasted to day 5. However I had to freeze all because even with my modified trigger shot, I developed a slight case of hyper stimulation. Frozen Egg Transfer- after pills and pio shots, we had a successful transfer. I am currently pregnant from this procedure.
I paid whatever was not covered by insurance. Billing was through an app or in office. It was easy to pay but difficult to understand what you were excatly paying for
My doctor prefer to do a SET for my safety. We agreed as that was what was covered by insurance and in our best interest.
South Shore

staff [at Brigham and Women's Hospital] along with him [Dr. Gargiulo] were so kind, wonderful, and accommodating from beginning to end. It was a successful procedure and I am pleased with the small and not very noticeable incisions...The clinic itself is a bit small and would run behind on appointments. Most of their staff was pleasant. The office space was a bit cramped but it was overall a great clinic. Location is a bit busy and parking was a bit challenging.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Gargiulo was very personable, kind, and empathetic of my situation. We spoke about my history and I was able to express my concerns surrounding infertility.Dr. Gargiulo is very knowledged and I believe he cares abut the patients outcome as well as their health.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I am a 27 year old female who lives in the DC area who was born with a unicornate uterus with a rudimentary horn. I was diagnosed when I was 22 while I was trying to get to the root of my painful cramps. I had an ectopic pregnancy when I was 23 and wanted to be proactive for future planning. My OB/GYN recommended I have a laparoscopy done to diagnose endometriosis and take a loser took at my abnormal uterus. We did extensive research in efforts to finds a specialist in the area but no luck and since my family lives in Massachusetts we began our search there. We came across a colleague of Dr. Gargiulo and after speaking to his colleague, sending my MRI, and medical records, he stated Dr. Gargiulo would be the best fit to assist. When I met Dr. Gargiulo he was very personable, kind, and empathetic of my situation. We spoke about my history and I was able to express my concerns surrounding infertility. He recommended getting a laparoscopy and removing the non communicating horn to prevent future ectopic pregnancies. He made me feel confident in trusting him for next steps. We scheduled a "Laparoscopic Excision of Right Rudimentary Uterine Horn, And Fallopian Tube". His staff along with him were so kind, wonderful, and accommodating from beginning to end. It was a successful procedure and I am pleased with the small and not very noticeable incisions.
Have questions ready to ask.
We focused on preparing my uterus for fertility. I have not yet began attempting.
not sure
Boston

The doctors and nursing team [Brigham & Women's Hospital] have been extremely thorough, helpful, and informative. They have taken the time to explain all of our options to us and have considered our needs, wishes, and our future unlike other clinics have. The clerical staff can at times be short and was initially difficult to communicate with, but overall they have improved. This clinic seems to see fewer LGBTQ clients; likely due to the size of the state, so there has been some confusion at times.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The doctors and nursing team have been extremely thorough, helpful, and informative. They have taken the time to explain all of our options to us and have considered our needs, wishes, and our future unlike other clinics have. The clerical staff can at times be short and was initially difficult to communicate with, but overall they have improved. This clinic seems to see fewer LGBTQ clients; likely due to the size of the state, so there has been some confusion at times.
Dr. Ginsburg didn't just look at numbers, she thought about mine and my wife's future. She considered our wishes and worked with us despite some numbers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Carey)
She has been very helpful and informative. She has returned my calls promptly and reached out to Dr. Ginsburg with all of my follow-up questions.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg has been very considerate of our desires and our treatment. She has considered all factors, but also been willing to work around situations and numbers. She has explained information thoroughly, and has been available when we've had further questions. She has been open and flexible and has truly made us feel like she is working with us.
To be sure to ask a lot of questions and to be completely open.
We have not yet started our cycle, but we are doing a complicated reciprocal IVF. She had us meet with maternal fetal medicine due to us both being overweight. She tested both of us thoroughly to help us make the best decision as to who will undergo the egg retrieval and who will undergo the embryo transfer.
We have requested multiple embryo transfer. Here, we feel that we are slightly being treated like a number now, but there seems to be some flexibility and willingness to work with us there.
Boston

It's a large clinic [Brigham] but the doctors are amazing!!! ...Kathy this far has been excellent. However before I was assigned her I did not have a set nurse and that at times was frustrating since I did not have anyone dedicated to me. Once I felt like the nurse who called did not know what was going on and I had to call back to demand more answers. ..Efficient well oiled machine with sign in sheets and call backs
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
It's a large clinic but the doctors are amazing!!! Just remember to stay on top of them and the nurses and ask lots of questions until you are satisfied. Don't be intimidated by the size or credentials. Do your own research and come prepared.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Walsh always takes time for my husband and I. I write down a lot of questions and he always sits patiently and explains and answers all of them. Additionally, I recent had a miscarriage where Dr. Walsh performed the d and c. I'll never forget him holding my hand as I went under.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy Charbonnier)
Kathy this far has been excellent. However before I was assigned her I did not have a set nurse and that at times was frustrating since I did not have anyone dedicated to me. Once I felt like the nurse who called did not know what was going on and I had to call back to demand more answers. Thankfully someone else called back and addressed it
What specific things went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
How was your experience with Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Walsh has been great. He is compassionate and attentive to my needs and questions. When things don't work out we have tried others and have done a plethora of tests to ensure all bases were covered (testing chromosomes, clotting factors, endometrial biopsy,etc after 2 CPs. Ensuring my miscarriage had pathology done, doing more tests. Creating a new plan for the next egg retrieval with PGS testing). The one negative would be that sometimes this information and appointments can be overwhelming and I felt like I had to decide to move forward quickly when maybe I'd want a cycle off. I also had my first egg retieval when Dr walsh nurse had retired and I was bounced around by nurses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Just to ensure you always are on top of meds and instructions. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Describe the protocols Brian Walsh used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
First we began testing. Hormone levels for me, hsg, and hysteroscopy. My husband had 2 sperm analysis done which showed male factor. My husband was also sent to a specialist. We tried clomid for 2 rounds as we were doing testing which did not work based on my husband's male factor issues. Due to mfi we were told ivf was our only option. Since I am borderline on fsh and amh the protocol was semi aggressive with 2 vials menopur and 150 iu follistim which was increased to 225. I stimmed for 13 days and had a duel trigger lupron and HCG. I had 16 eggs, 13 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI. We ended w 3 day 5 embryos of great quality. I did one fresh transfer w crinone that ended in a CP. We next did a natural FET without meds except for crinone support after transfer that also ended in a CP. We decided to try the last FET as a medicated cycle with 3 mg of estrace twice daily (6mg total) and once my lining got to 7mm we added progesterone a few days before the transfer and after. I had a positive beta HCG test 3 times and we set up an 8 wk ultrasound. Unfortunately there was no heartbeat and I had an enlarged placenta. Dr Walsh wanted to do a d and c to determine the cause and to check for a molar pregnancy ( I had high hcg). The results came back that it was NOT molar but the miscarriage was due to trisomy 18. We went into see Dr Walsh for a post on and we discussed next steps which was additional tests to determine any other reason for my 3 miscarriages and another hysteroscopy before we started IVF again. We also discussed PGS, genetic counseling, and higher doses to get more eggs for pgs testing. We will also freeze all day 5 embryos for ogs and do a medicated FET as I preferred the shots to crinone and I had the most successful pregnancy when we did the protocol medicated. I am currently waiting for my ultrasound to start stimulation for egg retrieval. My doses are going up to 3 vials of menopur and 225 iu of gonal f ( and we will bump up to 4 and 300 iu)
Efficient well oiled machine with sign in sheets and call backs
Describe Brian Walsh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr Walsh follows SART recommendations and I only have had a single embryo transferred based on quality and age.
Brian Walsh
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
The office [Brigham - Bos] was very responsive to emails and calls. My primary nurse was very good....The ultrasounds monitoring appointment were started before 7am. It is first come, first served and operated pretty efficiently....Brigham and Women's is a large hospital. The hours for the labs and ultrasounds were very accommodating. The parking lot across the street is reasonable, and it's also close to the T. You will often find out lab results through their patient portal hours after the tests and before they call you.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
The office was very responsive to emails and calls. My primary nurse was very good.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Hornstein's primary nurse, Barbara, is awesome! She was very responsive by email and phone.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Hornstein very patiently answered our many questions when we met with him in person. He always treated us with kindness and care. His nurse answers most of the day to day questions by email or phone .
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Make sure you know your treatment plan and know what the next steps are. The doctors and nurses at B&W are all good at their specific roles, but the communication between them can sometimes be missing. Because Dr. Hornstein may not be actually doing your procedure, make sure you have really discussed and agreed on important things like numbers of eggs to transfer before you get to the implantation day.
Describe the protocols Mark Hornstein used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Two rounds of Antagonist protocol. The second round was far more aggressive than the first and produced three times as many eggs and embryos.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Some was covered by insurance. It's around $8K - $12K out of pocket per IVF cycle depending on your treatment plan. That does not include meds.
Describe Mark Hornstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
He helped us make an informed decision based on risk and insurance coverage.
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

The front desk staff [Brigham & Women's Hospital] are kind and knowledgeable. I had an amazing experience when I went for my first IUI. The medical assistant who checked me in was really nice; she allowed me to be a part of the whole process, and even explained what she was doing along the way. At the end she allowed me and friends view the sperm under the microscope! Very cool!... I paid a little over 200 before the procedure, which was the fee for the doctor. The remained was billed to me- I think around 500 dollars.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The front desk staff are kind and knowledgeable. I had an amazing experience when I went for my first IUI. The medical assistant who checked me in was really nice; she allowed me to be a part of the whole process, and even explained what she was doing along the way. At the end she allowed me and friends view the sperm under the microscope! Very cool!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She has always been warm and kind. She takes the time to explain everything and it’s easy to get an appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy C. )
Kathy has been helpful and easy to get a hold of- she always responds promptly to my messages.
How was your experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Yanushpolsky has been awesome so far. She’s thorough, kind, and compassionate. She reassures me and doesn’t mind to take the time to answer all of my questions. She listens to me and plans my treatment accordingly. As a single woman trying to have a baby, it’s easy to lean toward judgement but Dr. Yanushpolsky didn’t seem to mind; she was just as glad to help me. I found the idea of going to an RE intimidating and still do but Dr. Yanushpolsky makes it less stressful. I don’t have any complaints yet but I’ll be sure to update you if things change.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Yanushpolsky is upbeat and tends to move fast- don’t be afraid to ask questions! She’s happy to answer them.
Describe the protocols Elena Yanushpolsky used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Dr. Yanushpolsky and I decided to do four rounds of natural IUI. She explained that because of my age (27) and the results of my blood work/HSG we would try without medication and follow up if I wasn’t pregnant after four cycles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

[The nurses at Brigham & Women's Hospital] were kind and supportive, much more emotionally present than the doctors. My one frustration is their contact/communication system which is to call and leave them a message and then you have to wait for a call back and you never know when that is coming. I feel like it would be so much easier to have an online message system - both for the nurses and patients.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The clinic is top-rated and I truly believe they are really on top of current research/knowledge etc. I have frustrations that you can't do embryo donation, but that is a Massachusetts thing and not a clinic thing. You do feel a bit like a cog in a machine at times, but that is because they are so successful that they attract so many patients.
Dr. Ashby is great - she has been through IVF herself so she is understanding as to what the experience is like. She also has been clear about procedures and expectations.
I feel like I know the nursing staff much better than the doctor team at this point because they are the ones you interact with every time you come in for blood testing or ultrasounds, etc. They were kind and supportive, much more emotionally present than the doctors. My one frustration is their contact/communication system which is to call and leave them a message and then you have to wait for a call back and you never know when that is coming. I feel like it would be so much easier to have an online message system - both for the nurses and patients.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby is fantastic - just because I have not yet gotten pregnant, I do not blame her. She is very knowledgeable and will even call you on the phone if the wait to see her is too long. She works with a team which has its plusses and minuses. They brainstorm together which helps to come up with a good plan and they can compare experiences against a lot of other patients. It does sometimes feel weird, though, when you go in and have a different doctor do your transfer or retrieval. But I honestly don't mind, because I believe their team to be one of the best around.
I wish she could be more available to each patient, but I also know that she has a ton of patients.
My first two retrievals we started medicine mid-cycle (so I waited until I ovulated and then we started a few days after that.) I apologize as I don't remember the names for all of these treatment strategies. The first cycle didn't produce as many eggs as the second, but neither was successful. I did not get a positive pregnancy test from either. For the third cycle, Dr. Ashby said she wanted to be more aggressive so we started medicine right after my period began. On that cycle, I produced 16 eggs which is great for someone my egg and we fertilized 13. Of those, there were 4 5-day blast embryos. I transferred two in a fresh cycle and then two in a frozen cycle. Again, I did not get positive pregnancy tests from either of those cycles, but I felt like we were headed in the right direction.
I have insurance coverage for the IVF cycles but I still had to make a copay of about $2,000. And the first cycle my pharmacy costs were around $900, but after that they were free.
Because of my age, I was allowed to transfer multiple embryos. The risks were made clear to me, but also the fact that it was unlikely they would all work, so I was happy to give that a try.
Newton

1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
The billing coordinator [at Brigham & Women's], Gene Diaz, has made herself very available for questions and has broken down the costs to me in great detail both over the phone and email. She emails me back very quickly and provides much detail for each one of the fees I will eventually need to pay for surrogacy...So far I am yet to encounter any weaknesses... They are extremely accommodating and very inviting. From the front desk staff, to the coordinators, to the doctors. Everyone I have met at the clinic has been wonderful. They stay open late one day a week to help accommodate work schedules.
1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Strengths: They are extremely accommodating and very inviting. From the front desk staff, to the coordinators, to the doctors. Everyone I have met at the clinic has been wonderful. They stay open late one day a week to help accommodate work schedules. They think outside the box and present different treatment options and scenarios to you regarding fertility and parenthood. They are easy to get in touch with over the phone and via email. I have never had any billing issues with the clinic and they accept most insurances. I have actually referred a friend to their clinic. Weaknesses: So far I am yet to encounter any weaknesses. One thing that would definitely be a great additional would be a grant program/scholarship for their patients to help pay for the surrogacy costs.
Dr. Ginsburg is absolutely wonderful. She is very responsive to emails and goes above and beyond to make sure her patients needs are being addressed. She has seen me at 2 different clinics and has always called/emailed me back right away. She never makes me feel rushed when meeting with her and answers all of my questions/concerns at length. She assured me everything was going to be OK and that she would work with me and my fertility needs when I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 25. I am so thankful to have her as a provider and I feel as though I could not be in better hands. Dr. Ginsburg and the entire staff at Brigham and Women have been tremendous. I am 100% confident in her care and strongly believe she will help make my dreams of becoming a mom a reality.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ruhe)
Allison is simply exceptional. We have been in constant contact for about a year now. We email weekly and she answers in great detail every and any questions I have. She has talked to numerous potential surrogates of ours and has included as in all aspects of surrogacy process. She always makes sure I completely understand everything she is telling me. She will email me detailed information and also call me with updates when we had potential surrogates. She has helped me fill out about 10 applications for fertility grants and continues to support us in any way that she can.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg is a very intelligent, calm, confident, and compassionate doctor. She has made me and my fiance more than comfortable and confident that we will be able to become parents via gestational surrogacy. She has walked and talked us through the necessary steps towards gestational surrogacy and has explained everything in great detail. She takes her time when meeting with us and genuinely cares about the success of our future embryo transfer. She has given us hope after cancer took our opportunity to become parents naturally. We met Dr. Ginsburg during a very difficult time in our lives and she gave us the hope that we so desperately needed back in 2015. Having a family of our own is the single most important thing in the world to my fiance and I and Dr. Ginsburg demonstrates that she cares about the success of the embryo transfer just as much as we do. Examples of her compassion: She has helped me fill out fertility grant applications immediately after I emailed her asking if she had time to do so. She made me feel important and hopeful. She recommended different grants/financial assistance options to help pay for fertility preservation costs. She was very easy to get a hold of when I had questions during my IVF cycle regarding medication. She made quick adjustments to a similar medication when my insurance did not cover a specific medication during IVF. She suggested testing my ovarian reserve level every 6 months to help me feel more involved and aware of the changes my body was going through and would email me my lab results as soon as they became available. She remembered little details I would tell her at past appointments about my family and hobbies/social life, she paid great attention to details. She makes me feel like part of the treatment time and keeps me hopeful through her kind/warm personality. She has more than 1 clinic location and has flexible hours making her very easy to get in touch with.
Dr. Ginsburg will explore every aspect of your fertility needs and if there is a way to help you start a family she will most definitely find it.
Dr. Ginsburg had me do 1 cycle of IVF while on tamoxifen (due to stage 3 estrogen positive cancer) back in 2015. My treatment plan consisted of injections and pills. Together, we discussed the options for eggs and embryos and the pros and cons of each. She helped me decided how many I was going to create embryos with. We froze 4 eggs and 4 embryos (originally had 6 embryos but 2 did not make it). She explained that the embryos would be frozen on day 3 to get "as money in the freezer as possible". Her plan is to transfer 2 embryos to a gestational surrogate as each embryo has a 40% chance of success. Her strategy to transfer 2 lines up with our goals, financial needs, and of course safety concerns. She explained everything in great detail.
There was a high volume of patients waiting for ultra sounds during my IVF cycle but I was never waiting for a long period of time. They were open 7 days a week and I was always seen when I needed to be. The results were always available online within a couple hours and my clinic would always call me as soon as they got results. They were very on top of my care during my IVF cycle.
My IVF cycle was covered in full by my insurance. I did have to pay about $500 out of pocket for medications. My estimated hospital costs for gestational surrogacy services were quoted at 10K. The billing coordinator, Gene Diaz, has made herself very available for questions and has broken down the costs to me in great detail both over the phone and email. She emails me back very quickly and provides much detail for each one of the fees I will eventually need to pay for surrogacy.
We prefer to transfer 2 embryos to increase of chance of success on the first transfer. She was completely on board with this decision and also agreed that it was for the best. She assured us this choice is safe and is confident it will result in a live birth.

2014 - 2018
IVF, Egg Freezing
I have complete faith in the medical expertise/care offered by the BWH Infertility/Reproductive Medicine Center.... I will continue to seek treatment for infertility and endometriosis from him [Dr. Gargiulo] and cannot think of a better place in the area in which to do this than the BWH Infertility/Reproductive Medicine Center.... When we decided to do a fresh cycle of IVF and ran into a terrible dispute with my insurance, he and his assistant went above and beyond what I would expect of anyone in that situation.
2014 - 2018
IVF, Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I have complete faith in the medical expertise/care offered by the BWH Infertility/Reproductive Medicine Center. That's all I have to say although this site forced me to write a response of 200 characters in length.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Gargiulo is a truly excellent doctor and I can't recommend him enough. I initially came to him years ago seeking to freeze my eggs due to a severe case of endometriosis. He helpfully guided me through the process, and I was happy to complete several successful cycles of egg freezing under his care. Years later, after meeting my husband and deciding to start a family, I returned to Dr. Gargiulo, who talked through our plans for addressing infertility from every angle. When we decided to do a fresh cycle of IVF and ran into a terrible dispute with my insurance, he and his assistant went above and beyond what I would expect of anyone in that situation. They were always ready to help at the shortest notice during the weeks of the dispute. We won the case, and my husband and I went on to have a successful cycle of IVF at our first attempt despite a very low number of eggs retrieved. We were thrilled! I never once doubted Dr. Gargiulo's expertise, judgment, or advice. He explains everything in great detail and treats you with respect rather than talking down to you. He answers all questions with care and attention. What stands out as well are his kindness, humor, and genuine human touch. He is a generous doctor who clearly loves helping his patients. I will continue to seek treatment for infertility and endometriosis from him and cannot think of a better place in the area in which to do this than the BWH Infertility/Reproductive Medicine Center.
Boston

The nursing staff [at Brigham & Women's] was very friendly. It's a difficult environment to work in and they were always upbeat and respectful of the patients coming through the door...The clinic is awesome. It's in a great location in the hospital and all of the staff is very friendly. The last time I left without important paperwork because I asked the person at the front and they had said that I could leave. I wish they had double checked and communicated with the nurse staff that had just seen me. This was the only hiccup I eve had there.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Gargiulo is the best doctor that I have seen. He was referred by my sister who has infertility and treated me just as well as he treated her. He goes the extra mile, unlike other doctors. He is personable and makes you feel that your situation matters and that he'll do everything in his power to help you. I felt extremely safe in his care and would refer any of my loved ones to his care.
The nursing staff was very friendly. It's a difficult environment to work in and they were always upbeat and respectful of the patients coming through the door.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I'm 22 years old and have had one of my ovaries removed due to ovarian cysts and recently had reoccurring cysts on my other ovary. My past surgery was with another doctor, but this time around my sister (with infertility and PCOS) insisted that I switch to her doctor, Dr. Gargiulo. I was so glad I did. He explained everything at a level that I could understand and made me realize how important it was to take care of this problem now, before I get older. He has special characteristics that no other doctors have. He was always running a bit behind because he refuses to cut time with any patients and likes to spend more time with everyone. He also uses a robotic technique to remove ovarian cysts instead of a laparoscopic technique, which uses heat that could damage ovarian tissue. His methods are much safer and exact than applying heat to the ovary because he essentially uses a plastic bag to enclose the ovary to protect it while removing the cyst. This method is newer, so women are sometimes hesitant to use it, but I had a wonderful experience with it and with Dr. Gargiulo because I truly felt that he had my best interest in mind. By using newer methods, he was able to keep me safe and to save my ovarian reserve, which I'll forever be grateful for!
If he is running behind schedule don't jump to conclusions, because it's probably a good thing! He spends more time with patients, compared to other doctors I've seen, because he is personable and truly cares about you and your health. He goes the extra mile, so just be patient in that waiting room, because you'll have your turn and it's most definitely worth the wait.
I had a large cyst removed in the past, which caused the removal of my ovary as well. When other cysts started to occur on my only existing ovary, I started to see Dr. G.. Though she is a very successful surgeon, I was told that my previous doctor may not have used the best method to remove an ovarian cyst. She specialized more in OBGYN, so she wasn't as familiar with the fertility outcomes as Dr. G. is. The previous surgery was done laparoscopically, which meant that heat was applied to remove the cyst. However, in the long run, heat can damage the ovarian tissue, which can cause the ovary quality and activity to lessen. Dr. G. informed me about a very similar surgery with small incisions, but using robotics instead of heat. He told me that his method entailed using a plastic bag to surround the ovary when removing the cyst so that the ovarian tissue wouldn't be harmed any more than it already was. He used robotics to do this because they are extremely accurate and proven to be successful. He predicted that doing the surgery this way instead would leave my ovary with much better chances of being unharmed. The surgery went exactly as expected and the ovary was not harmed in the process. The recovery was also exactly what he had told me it would be, there were no surprises. He has also suggested for me to see him in a year to consult about freezing more eggs due to a lower ovarian reserve. He used the data to produce exact results and informed me of the statistical chances that I will conceive a baby from the number of eggs I currently have frozen. Due to the lower percentage, I have decided to go ahead and freeze more in a year. I was very, very happy with the results and care that I received from Dr. G and would recommend anyone to him! He presented me with every detail. I would definitely recommend his methods of surgery due to the low risk and positive results that come along them.
I had a $40 copay each time I saw him because my insurance issues that for specialists. I'm still waiting for the bill for the surgery, however, I was told by my insurance company that they should cover a lot of it.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
I have gotten to know Judy, Nanci and Lisa [nurses at Brigham & Women's Hospital] quite well. They are professional, kind and responsive. Sometimes it can be confusing knowing who you talked to about what but the coordination of care is leaps and bounds ahead of the first practice I cycled with. Things are by no means perfect...Nothing has gone wrong but sometimes it is hard to keep everyone on the same page with adjustments that are out of the ordinary. In general, managing IVF requires hypervigilance on the part of the patient.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This is high volume practice with some of the most in demand clinicians in a market with no shortage of REs. It helps to know the in and outs of the process to know what questions and clarifications to ask for. You need to be okay with not having your doctor for procedures. My friend who has another RE at the Brigham has had my doctor for more procedures than I have. That said, from retrievals to transfers to D&Es - all of the doctors that have treated me have been compassionate and professional. Sometimes it is stressful to have to make high stakes decisions without the person you know and trust in the room but I come away from each experience with the feeling I was in good hands.
She is gives difficult to swallow information in a compassionate way. In our first visit, she brought up my weight in a way that didn't blame or shame me. It motivated me and I got to work. Even if I hadn't been able to address it, she would not have withheld treatment. I felt much better prepared and supported through treatment than I had at previous practice in terms of being grounded in the numbers for my age. After miscarrying a PGS normal embryo she was empathetic and said what I needed to hear. "If you wanted to quit, you came to the wrong doctor. I've just started to fight."
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Nanci)
I have gotten to know Judy, Nanci and Lisa quite well. They are professional, kind and responsive. Sometimes it can be confusing knowing who you talked to about what but the coordination of care is leaps and bounds ahead of the first practice I cycled with. Things are by no means perfect - because let's face it, as much of a privilege and miracle the IVF is, it also totally blows even under the best of circumstances.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
We haven't gotten our baby yet but I am confident that in the course of my treatment, no stone will be left unturned. She is known for having conceived and delivered her twins through IVF. That edge is what sealed the deal for me but the case was already pretty strong. When we were looking to switch practices, we asked around and she was recommended to us by friends who have a 1 year old son. They also experienced a previous loss and an early miscarriage with Dr. Ashby and described feeling very well cared for and supported.
No practice or physician is perfect - the important thing is finding a clinician whose style matches your needs. She is very in demand but if you need extra time and attention, she will accommodate you. Dr. Ashby is positive and forward moving but not one to sugar coat things. For me, that is a positive but everyone is different.
My 1st retrieval with another practice was antagonist. I got 5 blasts but it was absolute torture and was switched to freeze all because I was at risk for OHSS. My 1st cycle (2nd overall retrieval) with Dr. Ashby was also antagonist. It was also torture - though not as bad. The results were abyssmal - 1 full day 5 blast and two morulas were transferred. My 2nd cycle with Dr. Ashby (3rd overall retrieval) was an agonist micro flare protocol. It produced 5 day 5 embryos and 1 day 6 embryo. We did PGS and had 1 PGS normal, 1 mosaic and 4 abnormals. We are starting stims for the next cycle later this week with the same micro flare protocol starting with slightly higher doses of gonal and menopur. Results TBD.
Other than PGS, my care has been covered by insurance.
We only had one PGS normal to work with so we went with that. We opted not to transfer the mosaic with a normal. If we had had two normals, with the prognosis for my age we probably would have been advised and opted to transfer more than one so that we could move to the next retrieval since time is of the essence. Before my last retrieval Dr. Ashby made sure to explore my feelings about multiples and explain the risks involved.
Boston

[The nurses at Brigham & Women's Hospital were] Extremely knowledgeable and very quickly responsive!...the nurses not specifying the draw or catching the result as an incorrect one resulted in me going to get a varicella booster that delayed my treatment cycle by a month. I discovered the error a couple of days after the shot through my own research. I didn’t feel that the clinic was especially apologetic or owned up to this mistake and their role in it.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I did have one snafu despite very compassionate care... my lab request for varicella titer did not specify which type of draw; written by a nurse and stamped with doctors signature. The lab made a mistake in just choosing which one to draw (one for active infection and not immunity, which I likely have after having chicken pox as a child.) The lab I had my blood drawn at had a big role, but the nurses not specifying the draw or catching the result as an incorrect one resulted in me going to get a varicella booster that delayed my treatment cycle by a month. I discovered the error a couple of days after the shot through my own research. I didn’t feel that the clinic was especially apologetic or owned up to this mistake and their role in it.
She was very excited for our success and answered all questions thoroughly.
Extremely knowledgeable and very quickly responsive!
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Extremely knowledgeable with regard to the latest research. Answered all questions thoroughly and knew what gaps to fill in on our testing before starting treatment. Came highly recommended from a friend and lived up to what we had heard!
Have all of your questions written down in advance and don’t be afraid to ask them all.
We used Letrozole with timed intercourse followed by progesterone supplementation. I had a blighted ovum with my first pregnancy and have PCOS. I am now 15 weeks pregnant from our first cycle on that protocol.
Minimal on Letrozole cycle... two ultrasounds, consult, follow up, and meds.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
[Brigham - Bos] Holly, is AWESOME. I just liked her style when giving results/instructions. She is upbeat but compassionate. My first interaction with her was when my genetic carrier testing came back positive for a fatal disease and she presented that perfectly...Monitoring is very early in the morning, and they seem to require more monitoring appointments per cycle than a lot of places...The ultrasound and lab techs are very nice.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think most of the information is provided in my other responses. It's such a mixed bag. Really just don't expect a lot of information sharing-- you won't know why the doctors make the decisions they do and you won't get any process information ahead of time, even big picture stuff that seems like it can be reasonably estimated. If you want any sort individualized treatment I don't think this is the right place. Also, from my internet research it seems like I am far from the first patient they have dropped, so I think it's something you have to be prepared for (I was not). While some people are wonderful, others can be defensive, condescending, or even flat out insulting.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She did not take my individual medical history/concerns about side effects into account at all. She tried one protocol and then a more aggressive one and then pretty much gave up. The practice at BWH seems to have a real culture of not providing a lot of information, medical or process-wise. Dr. Srouji was always very late for appointments--at least 30-45 minutes--even first thing in the morning. I always felt very rushed when in appointments with her and always came out not sure of next steps and with more questions than when I went in.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
The primary nurse who works with Dr. Srouji, Holly, is AWESOME. I just liked her style when giving results/instructions. She is upbeat but compassionate. My first interaction with her was when my genetic carrier testing came back positive for a fatal disease and she presented that perfectly. She also went WAY above and beyond to help us deal with CVS/Caremark, the most evil prescription drug plan provider imaginable. Unfortunately, some of the other nurses we dealt with when Holly was out were not as helpful at all. When I asked Barbara what happens after the cycle if I don't get pregnant (a medical question and a process question) she said, "we don't like to think about that" and wouldn't go any further. Nurse Marie told me they can't give patients all the information because "most people can't handle it." When I tried to get process information and was getting frustrated that she wouldn't provide it, she said, "I know you're upset because you always imagined you'd be a parent and now it might not happen..." um, no, I'm upset because you won't tell me what I have to do next. The other nurses I spoke with (Tricia and Amanda) seemed nice and helpful.
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
It is very important to understand upfront that the doctors work as a team at BWH, which means the doctor you see primarily and discuss your treatment with is NOT the one making decisions as you go through your cycle, and will most likely not be the one doing your egg retrieval, transfer, HSG testing, uterus mapping, etc. I did not realize this until after my second cycle, which would have explained so much if I had known. As such, it's kind of hard to rate any doctor on their medical decisions. I had a very mixed experience with Dr. Srouji. At times she seemed to be on our side, at others she almost seemed mad at us. I was probably not the typical patient-- I didn't go in assuming we would be doing IVF--and that seemed to frustrate her. At age 39 I was sort of clueless about the fertility process and just went because my regular doctor told me to "get checked out" after six months of trying to conceive. The assumption, however, was that you are there to sign up for IVF no matter what, and she seemed really confused about how to handle the fact that I didn't know if I was willing to go that far. She waffled on a few things-- at first she said male factor was such an issue nothing short of ICIS would work, then after my husband had a second test she said it was in the normal range and trying IUI first sounded like a great plan, then when the sperm count was low with the IUI she was almost angry with me and said the sperm count was always low and she only supported trying IUI because she knew I didn't want IVF. One of my biggest complaints is that she really didn't address--or seem to understand--my underlying medical concerns--I have been dealing with PCOS/PMDD/general endocrine issues and rough periods my whole life and wasn't sure how medications would affect me. I did have some REALLY bad side effects from both Clomid and the IVF meds that she neither warned me about, nor seemed to care about when I reported them. I think some mistakes were made during my second cycle but I will never know for sure because she abruptly dropped me as a patient. I don't know if it was Dr. Srouji's fault per se, but overall I would characterize working with BWH as traumatizing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
If you are not too interested in the details or any sort of individualized care, this might be a better experience (I felt that way at first until things started getting complicated and confusing and I seemed to have more questions the more I learned). It might also be better if you are an IVF veteran and already know the basics.
Describe the protocols Serene Srouji used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
At 39 and 1/2, my AMH was 2.0 and FSH was something like 5.5, but my husband's sperm count and motility was low. So low, in fact, she said nothing short of ICIS would work (long story, but we did try IUI with Clomid first). My first IVF was lower dose antagonist (gonal-f, cetrotide, HCG trigger). Afterward she said my egg maturity rate (6/11) and my estrogen on trigger day (525) were much lower than she'd expect with my numbers so we had to go to an aggressive lupron microflare cycle (lupron, menapur, gonal-f, HCG trigger). My estrogen was MUCH higher (3260), and I had 14 follicles on trigger day, but only 8 eggs were retrieved and only one embryo was frozen on day 1. The embryo had to be frozen because my progesterone was extremely high during stimulation. She said I clearly have "an egg problem" but dropped me as a patient at the same time, so I don't have anymore information than that to work with going forward.
Monitoring is very early in the morning, and they seem to require more monitoring appointments per cycle than a lot of places. It's ok once you get used to it but at the beginning it was super stressful. Leave PLENTY of time in the morning for Boston traffic, parking, etc. The ultrasound and lab techs are very nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
It's MA and I have BCBS, so I only paid 10% plus copays for medications (~$200).
Describe Serene Srouji's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
BWH uses an algorithm to determine the number of embryos to transfer-- you can choose to have fewer transferred but not more than they recommend.
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

I never had issues in getting appointments set up when needed [at Brigham & Women's Hospital]. They are willing to work with your cycles so you are not feeling like you are wasting months waiting. When you have IVF procedures you will see whichever Dr. Is scheduled that day so it may not be your own...Holly was our initial nurse and was always efficient in delivering results to us. Kelley took over and became our nurse while we did our IVF cycle. She was excellent in returning emails throughout the process. She acted as a good middleman for us and Dr. Anchan between appointments. I only had one miscommunication that had no effect on our cycle success.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I never had issues in getting appointments set up when needed. They are willing to work with your cycles so you are not feeling like you are wasting months waiting. When you have IVF procedures you will see whichever Dr. Is scheduled that day so it may not be your own. This never bothered me but something some might consider.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Anchan was very personable with my husband and I. He always remembered facts about our life that were not fertility related. This made us comfortable that he pays attention and sets us apart from everyone else. We always fekt heard and he was very patient with answering questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Holly and Kelley)
How was your experience with Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Anchan was very patient with us and let us take our time with our treatment course. I was very much into taking steps slowly and progressing through each step at my own pace. He was wonderful in allowing this, I always felt like my feelings were taking into consideration and he was always able to provide steps I was comfortable with. He was amazing at explaining each step, medication, hormone and included diagrams when needed. He was always straight forward about our chances and possible success rates. I never felt blind sided at all through the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Trust the journey and Dr. Anchan. He has your best interest in mind and the same end goal as you.
Describe the protocols Raymond Anchan used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
I was not ready to jump to the big guns right away do we did a few letrozole cycles with timed intercourse. We stepped up to letrozole with IUI a few months in. When I was finally ready to accept IVF we did a antagonist cycle due to my higher AMH. The cycle was textbook and we had a high fertilization report and many embryos. We did use ICSI for the likelihood of having the most possible.
Monitoring is done first thing in the morning at a first come first serve basis. On weekends it is a scheduled time slot. I never waited more than an hour before I was out and onto the rest of my day. The techs were hit or miss with friendliness and gentleness but the phlebotomists were very pleasant. Even though this is a hospital setting they brought a phlebotomist to the ultrasound department which is very convenient.
Describe Raymond Anchan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The council we received in deciding how many to transfer included statistics and their reasoning. Both transfers we were able to explain our reasoning as well and it was always respected. Since I had a highly graded embryo we chose one for the first transfer. Our second transfer we were able to transfer 2 since we at that point had a unsuccessful transfer.
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Brigham was usually fairly timely calling with changes to medicine, but after my retrieval, I never got a call about day 3 or day 5 embryos and then how many were sent for PGS...I loved Barbara! Brigham is incredibly busy but Barbara always took the time to answer all of my questions. I did find that if Barbara was out or if treatment occurred over a weekend, the covering nurse was often not as familiar with my case.
Investor
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Brigham is incredibly large and busy and if you want a personalized, hand-holding approach, Brigham is not the place to go. All of your ultrasounds are done by techs and you wait for the nurse to call with orders to adjust for the next day. Also, your doctor is often not the one who is available for your retrieval and transfer so you must be comfortable with a group practice and residents. One interesting thing to note is that OB admitting is at the front of the hospital and you will walk through that on your way to the clinic or for ultrasounds.
Dr. Hornstein is incredibly busy but he always took the time to answer our questions and we had a lot! He holds one late night clinic each week and we were the last patient that day. He stayed with us for over an hour until 10 pm to make sure we had all of our questions answered and could develop a treatment plan for an IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Barbara)
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I first saw Dr. Hornstein at the recommendation of a good friend who had seen him for years to manage her endometriosis. I had previously been seen by his partner, but I wanted a doctor who could do both the surgery for the endometriosis and oversee fertility treatments. Dr. Hornstein was very thorough with our initial work up and let us take our time before going to IVF. Dr. Hornstein presented all of the option and let us decide. We wanted to do PGS testing and even though Brigham doesn't recommend it, Dr. Hornstein was understanding.
Dr. Hornstein is incredibly busy and a lot of your care will be done by the nurses/fellows/other REs. If something urgent came up, Dr. Hornstein would call.
4 cycles of clomid - 3 IUIs (one was cancelled) Agonist protocol that was a freeze-all cycle for PGS and to prevent OHSS. Relatively low doses of stims (Follistim - 112.5) and Cetrocide. I used a dual Lupron and HCG trigger.
Monitoring hours during the week were from 6:45-7:45 and by appointment on the weekends. Even when it was crowded, they moved fairly quickly. The results of the bloodwork were available on Patient Gateway within a few hours and you would usually get a phone call that afternoon from the nurse.
In Massachusetts, most fertility treatments are covered by insurance with co-pays. We did pay out of pocket for a few elective things - freezing samples, ICSI and PGS but all told it was under $10k.
Boston

Nothing runs on time and it's very difficult to get someone to pick up a phone [at Brigham & Women's Hospital]. You often are on hold for a while or &gt; 5 hours (or a day) will pass before a returned call. "Customer service" is lacking but the medical care is great. The receptionists are very nice and act like they remember me, which is well received.... I have had a few instances where the nurse hasn't called with results and I have had to reach out hours after I have seen the results posted to the hositpal website. It's not always clear what procedure you are expected to follow for the bloodwork and u/s, especially the first time. Overall, the clinic lacks customer service. It definitely runs like a hospital not like a for profit enterprise holding your hand every step of the way.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Nothing runs on time and it's very difficult to get someone to pick up a phone. You often are on hold for a while or &gt; 5 hours (or a day) will pass before a returned call. "Customer service" is lacking but the medical care is great. The receptionists are very nice and act like they remember me, which is well received.
She is very personable and we were able to establish a personal connection quickly. While she states the facts (which are hard to hear), she acknowledges that it's a hard message and I feel like she feels bad when we don't have a successful outcome even though our chances are low.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Sandy Vance mainly and many others)
It's sometimes hard to get in touch with the team which can be frustrating. As I have been interacting with the nursing team for a while now, I know each of the personalities better. They are all very compassionate and try to share in your excitement or sadness.
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I really like Dr. Fox personally and she was very candid on the statistics for success as well as other options. She won't actively put herself in our position and say what "she" would do which I sometimes want her to do, I understand these are very personal decisions and she tries to give us all of the information we need to make the decisions. She is very sensitive to our individual situation and it feels like she is personally committed to us becoming pregnant and having a successful pregnancy.
She doesn't sugar coat but she's very smart and experienced. She'll answer anything you ask, just make sure you ask! It's sometimes hard to get a hold of her outside of normal appointments and she often runs behind so our appointments didn't run on time.
I did 2 patch protocol cycles and 1 micro dose Lipton cycle. I am currently doing my 3rd patch protocol. In both protocols, I was on the highest dose of medication (4 menopur in the morning) and 300 of final-f in the evening. This was because my test results showed a diminished ovarian reserve. The first cycle we had 7 follicles, 5 eggs retrieved and fertilized and all transferred. The 2nd cycle we had 7 eggs retrieved 2 fertilized and both transferred. The 3rd cycle took much longer for stimulation (30 days Vs 12-14 for the first two) and resulted in 3 eggs, 1 fertilized and 1 transferred. All were a negative result. This current cycle Dr Fox and team decided to give us one last chance on the patch protocol since my stimulation was materially better. We are self-pay and while a significant burden we were willing to spend the money on a 4 th cycle before deciding potentially to do egg donation.
11k

Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Nancy, and the entire nursing staff [at Brigham & Women's] are amazing. They were great at explaining the whole process as we were going through it. They always called me back when I left messages with tons of questions. They also helped me deal with a lot of back and forth insurance issues...My insurance covered 90% so we paid $1,000 up front for each round that we started. And then a few additional costs I think.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
When my husband and I met with Dr. Ashby, she did not just spit out numbers and facts, she explained this and also asked how we were doing during our treatment. She also walked us through each failed cycle to explain what happened and what we would do differently for future cycles.
Nancy, and the entire nursing staff are amazing. They were great at explaining the whole process as we were going through it. They always called me back when I left messages with tons of questions. They also helped me deal with a lot of back and forth insurance issues.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
As a patient, I've had a good experience with Dr. Ashby, despite not being pregnant yet. She doesn't just spit out what we need to do, but talks to us and asks how we are doing during this whole process.
Ask lots of questions - don't be afraid.
Round 1 (birth control pills at beginning, started on follistim injections, then cetrotide injections and follistim injections. Post retrieval/transfer used crinone gel, medrol, estradiol) Round 2 (started on patch, then cetrotidge injections, then once I got my period again, I started on follistim and menipur injections, then added cetrotide injections. Post retrieval/transfer used crinone gel, medrol, estradiol) Round 3 Frozen (birth control pills at beginning, then estradiol, progesterone injections. Post transfer continued on progesterone injections and estradiol) Round 4 (lupron injections, then added follistim injections and then menipur injections. No fertilized eggs)

3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
They [Brigham - Boston] always ran on time. I was always treated with respect. I always received prompt emails/test results/call backs after leaving messages...Alison was my primary nurse when going through the donor egg process and she was OK. She wasn't the best I've ever dealt with. There were a few tests that she didn't tell me about that I needed. At the end of the day, she was fine, but I remember feeling frustrated at times dealing with her. there were a few tests/shots that she didn't tell me about which almost caused a set back with my embryo transfer.
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
They always ran on time. I was always treated with respect. I always received prompt emails/test results/call backs after leaving messages.
I always felt as if Dr. Ashby had my best interest at heart. Her end goal is to ensure you have a healthy baby no matter how you get there. She was relatable in the sense that she had her own fertility struggles and explained what she went through to have children. She always explained things in a digestable way and always made time to answer as many questions as my husband and I had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Alison)
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby always treated me like a friend. She was open, compassionate and really took her time to explain my diagnosis and how we were going to move forward with a plan. I had 3 egg retrievals and 0 embryos from all 3 combined. I have Diminished Ovarian Reserve and outlook was looking bleak. She had the difficult conversation with me and my husband about exploring other options like donor eggs or adoption. This was very upseting to us but she gave us examples of couples she had treated in the past who were successful with donor eggs. She never made me feel bad about my diagnosis and was always very positive and said that we will have a baby one day and she was going to help us get there one way or another. She had a gentle bedside manner but at the same time was always very candid with the reality of our situation. She never forced us to move forward with donor eggs. She explained she would continue to treat us and try another protocol but after 3 failed cycles, it wasn't looking good. She also recommended a 2nd opinion just so we could feel good about our decision moving forward.
Trust her advice and opinions. She isn't super clinical but still explains the clinical side of fertility treatments. Ask lots of questions.
I don't remember the exact treatment plan but considering I have diminished ovarian reserve (at 35), I went through 3 very aggressive treatments.
They were pretty efficient for the most part.
My insurance covered the majority of the meds and procedure costs. I was lucky.
She has a strong preference for one embryo transfer. Her end goal is healthy mom and healthy baby.

Endometriosis, Male Factor
Be prepared to wait [at Brigham & Women's Hospital], and there will often be children in the ultrasound waiting room, especially on weekends. The clinic itself is often running behind schedule, but they are good at letting you know where you are in line...I do feel that his nurse at the time was a weak link in the process. There were some communication issues there, but I soon figured out how best to work with her. I would not let the nursing staff dissuade me from using this doctor.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
You have a choice of where to do your monitoring if you can't come into Boston, but it's still a time consuming process. I often did monitoring in Foxborough and once at Chestnut Hill. The wait times for monitoring can be very long at BWH Boston. Be prepared to wait, and there will often be children in the ultrasound waiting room, especially on weekends. The clinic itself is often running behind schedule, but they are good at letting you know where you are in line. You really could do so much worse than BWH, though. And living in Central MA I have.
Dr. Hornstein always took the time I needed even when his schedule was booked, and always answered every question. Pelvic exams are difficult for me due to physical disability, and I have had previous terrible experiences with gynecologists as a result. He is the most accommodating doctor I have ever seen in a specialty unrelated to my disability. I continue to see him for endometriosis management.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Hornstein is an excellent communicator. He seems aware of the power differential between patient and doctor, and actively mitigates it during consultation by listening actively within the time constraints of the visit. By the time I became his patient, it was clear that I likely had endometriosis that previous doctors failed to take seriously as a reason for both my infertility and severe pain. My goals closely aligned with his, which likely made him a good fit for my case (single embryo transfer, plenty of cool down time between failed transfers, aggressive pain management of my endometriosis during the process). I came to him in crisis and feeling hopeless. He validated all of my anger and frustration, and my sens that "something just wasn't right." He had me in the OR within 6 weeks to remove endometriosis and we were on to infertility treatment from there, quickly moving to IVF. His approach is wholly evidence-based, which I appreciated greatly. Dr. Hornstein never did any of my infertility procedures because you get who is on the schedule. But there was never a moment that he wasn't up to speed on my care. I had a lot of setbacks: return of endometriosis, two canceled transfers, two failed cycles, some complications post second retrieval. It was a long road from the start of my care to the MFM hand off once I finally got pregnant (2 years, 4 months), but there was never a moment where I doubted his clinical judgement. I have no regrets about choosing him, and would feel the same way had I not ultimately been successful (my husband agrees). I hesitate to write this because it may identify who I am as a patient, but it's very important. As a woman with a significant physical disability, Dr. Hornstein never once questioned my ability to be a mom. Other doctors had, in ways that were unfounded and not evidence-based. He cared about my disability when it was relevant, and didn't when it wasn't. It's hard to put into words how refreshing that is, as OB/GYN care is particularly challenging due to my disability. He always took the extra time needed for pelvic exams and procedures (HSG, SIS), and collaborated with my physician who cared for my disabling condition when necessary. I would not hesitate to recommend him to any woman with a mobility-limiting disability.
Come in with your questions ready, trust his judgement, be patient with the process.
I do not remember specifics, but I do remember his approach changed with each failed cycle or canceled transfer. We were constantly balancing increased endometriosis pain while during ovarian stimulation. So his approach to stimming was a bit conservative with me. However, we were very much in alignment, going for quality over quantity. I stimmed with GonalF for my first retrieval and got quite a few low quality embryos. He adjusted the approach for the second retrieval, adding in Menopur, resulting in better quality embryos, and my pregnancy.
Very busy at BWH Boston on the weekends. There will be children in the waiting room, so prepare yourself if that is a concern. I did weekday monitoring at Foxborough, and once at Chestnut Hill. Foxborough was, for the most part, a well-oiled machine. But, factor in time for traffic if you are taking 495. The courier service that picks up the blood for analysis at the main hospital is always on time and if you miss the window you are out of luck. No exceptions. As a patient driving in from central MA I often had to just judge by traffic whether I could beat the courier at Foxborough or if I just needed to drive into Boston.
We have a state mandate in Massachusetts that requires private insurance to cover a maximum of six fresh cycles of IVF. IUIs, drugs, and infertility testing are also covered. My daughter is a $200k kid. I paid, maybe $2,000 of that once you figure in copays for office visits, surgery and meds. If you don't live in Massachusetts, my advice is to get here now. No one should have to go broke to have a kid. You're supposed to go broke after you have the kid. ;-)
I opted for elective single embryo transfer because of my physical disability. We were in agreement about that. As the process dragged on and treatment wore me down, at one point I suggested trying two. He was gentle in his reminders of why I chose eSET and I agreed. I did not push back on this.
Boston

Overall, I can attest that this clinic [Brigham and Womens at Newton-Wellesley] does a fabulous job at fast-tracking your route to pregnancy, customizing the strategy to you and your individual circumstances, physically and financially...As time went on and I visited the office more frequently, I will say the nurses and staff were incredibly personable. My 8-week pregnancy ultrasound was an incredibly warm-feeling experience, with the ultrasound tech, nurse practitioner, and a medical student very attentive and invested. When we discovered a second baby in the ultrasound, I asked if they could bring in my mother-in-law and son from the waiting room, and they happily obliged.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Overall, I can attest that this clinic does a fabulous job at fast-tracking your route to pregnancy, customizing the strategy to you and your individual circumstances, physically and financially.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I felt like a human in that during the initial visit, each person on the doctor's team, including himself, was very polite with me, reassuring, thoroughly explained the medications and procedures. Simultaneously, I felt like a number in that the intake nurse really didn't care to know about my prior acupuncture treatment or lifestyle changes. The clinic also, although being a well-oiled and perhaps efficient machine, divvies up so many parts of the process that in the initial intake appointment, you end up seeing 5 individual professionals, making you feel like you are in a factory. As time went on and I visited the office more frequently, I will say the nurses and staff were incredibly personable. My 8-week pregnancy ultrasound was an incredibly warm-feeling experience, with the ultrasound tech, nurse practitioner, and a medical student very attentive and invested. When we discovered a second baby in the ultrasound, I asked if they could bring in my mother-in-law and son from the waiting room, and they happily obliged.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: NP Jennie Mastroianni)
I really loved the nurse practitioner, Jennie. She, along with the friendly, sweet nurses who always made sure to give my son (who accompanied me to many blood draws) plentiful stickers and attention, made my experience at the clinic very warm.
How was your experience with Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Isaacson seems like a very straight shooter and very experienced in the fertility world. I get the sense he has seen a great array of patients and has gained some wisdom re: what is the best course of action per each patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I did not receive an infertility diagnosis that was complex in any way -- Dr. Isaacson told me that likely I was just not ovulating. As a result, my treatment was simple (prescribed Clomid) and as I got pregnant after the second cycle, I only ever saw Dr. Isaacson once during the initial visit. I saw the nurse practitioner much more frequently (and I will say I very much liked her). So unless you have some more complex things going on and require more advanced treatment, don't expect to interface with Dr. Isaacson that much.
Describe the protocols Keith Isaacson used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
I was prescribed Clomid with a plan of trying it for 4 cycles given my previous successful (naturally conceived) pregnancy, age, symptoms etc. I very much appreciated the practice's respect for my limited insurance coverage, and that also informed our course of action -- not starting out with too many potentially unnecessary procedures, but being willing to do those if time proved it necessary. One of the procedures we were going to wait on was the HSG procedure that makes sure there is no tubal blockage. I ended up requesting this procedure after the first round of Clomid failed just for my own peace of mind, even though the clinic did not urge me to have this done early on. They performed the procedure at my request, and my tubes showed to be open. There is anecdotal evidence that the procedure can sometimes prove to be therapeutic and the fluid pushing through the tubes may open small blockages. I don't know for sure whether or not this was the case for me, or if I just needed to try Clomid for one more cycle, but I got pregnant with twins after taking my second round of Clomid. I am now 11 weeks pregnant and have been discharged from the clinic to my regular OBGYN. I will say that twins do not run in my family, and I am positive the Clomid stimulated my ovaries such that they produced two eggs. I am incredibly excited to have twins, although people who are wary of twins for either financial or physical reasons should know that Clomid does slightly increase your chances of conceiving multiples. On Clomid, I had painful cramps and bloating during ovulation, and I took this as a sign that it affected me perhaps more than most people, overstimulating my ovaries. Again, my outcome was an incredibly happy one for my family -- but I realize multiples might not be ideal for everyone.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Insurance covered the majority of our care costs. Probably my biggest expense was my copayment for the HSG procedure, which I requested out of personal interest v. recommendation.
Keith Isaacson
Newton

Most of the doctors and nurses [at Brigham & Women's] were fabulous. Occasionally Dr. Srouji wasn't able to perform the retrieval or transfer and we would work with other doctors on those days. One in particular, Dr. Walsh, had a terrible bedside manner and I really disliked him, but everyone else was great....Sandy is Dr. Srouji's nurse and she is fabulous, but all the nurses in the practice were great. My husband and I called a lot with questions and they were always patient and informative.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Most of the doctors and nurses were fabulous. Occasionally Dr. Srouji wasn't able to perform the retrieval or transfer and we would work with other doctors on those days. One in particular, Dr. Walsh, had a terrible bedside manner and I really disliked him, but everyone else was great.
Dr. Srouji was incredibly thoughtful and caring. She called after every result (positive and negative) to check in and see how we were doing. She always seemed to be very invested in our success and determining what adjustments needed to be made to improve the treatment after each cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Sandy Vance)
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
As noted earlier, Dr. Srouji was incredibly caring and dedicated to helping us achieve success. She called us to check in, tracked my response and made adjustments, and was a clear communicator through every step of the process. I am so thankful for her kind and supportive care. She did some out-of-the-box thinking regarding why our embryos weren't making it to day 5 despite the high number we had. After switching two day 3 transfer with assisted hatching, we had two successful cycles, the first ending in miscarriage due to chromosomal abnormality (we didn't do genetic testing) and the second resulting in my current pregnancy.
Ask lots of questions. It's an overwhelming process and she is there to help you make sure you have the information you need to move forward in the process. And call her nurse Sandy--she is amazing and was a great help to us as well.
We used ICSI because my husband had sperm morphology issues. My PCOS meant lots of eggs of not so great quality, so we switched to a Lupron protocol which helped. We also found that our embryos weren't converting from day 3 to 5 so we switched to day 3 transfer w assisted hatching.
Massachusetts has unbelievable coverage for fertility. We paid nothing out of pocket, maybe a total of $100 in copays for our insurance.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
This [Brigham-Bos] is a big hospital practice, so some may need to adjust their expectations surrounding this. The experience with the doctor will feel personal, but with the all the outside testing it is what it is - a big hospital without a lot of hand holding... I didn't have a ton of interaction with [nurse] Susan, but she got her job done adequately...We had a complication very early on...but she [Dr. Ashby] and her staff were great. The moved us to a private room while they made surgery arrangements so we could process what was happening.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This is a big hospital practice, so some may need to adjust their expectations surrounding this. The experience with the doctor will feel personal, but with the all the outside testing it is what it is - a big hospital without a lot of hand holding. I am personally fine with that, others prefer a different approach.
Dr. Ashby gets right to the point, but does it with compassion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
Because I only had one medicated/monitored cycle, I didn't have a ton of interaction with Susan, but she got her job done adequately. When I emailed her to let her know I'd gotten a positive pregnancy test she got me set up right away for HCG testing. When she called me with my (very high) results she made me laugh when she said "well you're DEFINITELY pregnant, wow!"
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I saw Dr. Ashby at the recommendation of a family member who had a successful pregnancy with Dr. Ashby's help. At the first appointment, me and my husband knew we were in great hands. She is direct and knowledgeable, and gives her patients confidence that she is an absolute expert. She thought we would see great results with IVF but our insurance required us to try 3 IUIs with injectables before we could move on to IVF. I was disappointed since I really hoped to start IVF right away, but to everyone's surprise the first IUI worked! We had a complication very early on - when my first ultrasound was performed at 6w3d, it was discovered that my pregnancy was heterotopic, meaning that I had a viable pregnancy in my uterus and a second one in a fallopian tube. The radiologists sent me to Dr. A's office and she saw us immediately. She laid it on the line - I had a perfect embryo in the uterus but the ectopic needed to be removed immediately before it could rupture and put my life in danger. It was something seen more commonly with IVF but not unheard of for IUI patients. She felt that this procedure would not harm my viable pregnancy. Needless to say we were shocked and upset, but she and her staff were great. The moved us to a private room while they made surgery arrangements so we could process what was happening. One of her associates removed the fallopian tube that afternoon. A week later we had another ultrasound which showed a healthy heart still beating. The rest of pregnancy was uneventful and I had my healthy, perfect daughter.
Trust her!
For my IUI we used Gonal-F with ultrasound monitoring throughout, then an HCG trigger when follicles were ready. This produced 2 mature follicles and several smaller ones.
It was covered by insurance so we paid very few out of pocket costs
Boston

[Nurse] Kelly is kind, knowledgeable, and communicates clearly and timely...We live very close to the Brigham and Women's hospital, so it is very convenient. All the doctors there (not only mine) are experts in the field. The clinic is clean, well maintained, and comfortable...She [Dr. Rachel Ashby] personalized my care, and her team worked together to modify my IVF protocol to help me get pregnant. Also, I have a "unique" uterus that makes embryo transfers difficult. She placed a Malencot catheter in in me few a few days to make the transfer easier. My understanding is that this clinic is the only one in the country to do this. And it certainly helped make the next transfer easier. Also, I got pregnant!
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
She personalize my care, and her team worked together to modify my IVF protocol to help me get pregnant. Also, I have a "unique" uterus that makes embryo transfers difficult. She placed a Malencot catheter in in me few a few days to make the transfer easier. My understanding is that this clinic is the only one in the country to do this. And it certainly helped make the next transfer easier. Also, I got pregnant!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kelly )
Kelly is kind, knowledgeable, and communicates clearly and timely.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She is an excellent practitioner with great bedside manners: She has skillfull hands and is part of a great team. She came to me recommend from several friends (all healthcare professionals). I will recommend her to all my friends who need fertility treatment. Also, as a plus...When I had a miscarriage, the whole office treated me with compassion and kindness.
Ask her to clarify any terms/vocabulary that don't understand. People new to fertility treatment may find that the amount of information shared initially is very dense and overwhelming
I did a low dose AB agonist protocol during the first cycle. While I got 18 eggs retrieved, we had lower fertization rates than expected. Also, the embryo transfer was very difficult because I have a tight cervical opening (which my Doctor hypothesized lead to my uterus to contract post transfer, and pushed my embryo into my Fallopian tube, and causing my ectopic pregnancy). After my failed cycle Dr. Ashby and her whole team met for a "cycle review" and suggested I do the same protocol, with the addition of Menapur, ICSI, and placement of a malencot catheter (to make the transfer easier). This resulted in 21 retrieved eggs, 6 five day blastocysts (they transfered one, and froze 5). The transfer was much more smooth, and I am happy to say we are now pregnant!
Ultrasound and blood work monitoring was very streamlined and organized
My insurance covers 6 rounds of IVF, so I am unsure about actual costs. I paid $75 for all my meds and a $50 copay each cycle
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
I think the clinic [Brigham] has good doctor's and being in the Brigham has access to great resources. I also think they are a business and their goal is to get people in and out (pregnant) so at times it feels a little too much like a factory...I went in for monitoring one cycle and was told that there were no orders in for me. So I had to find an on-call person who had to then find Dr. Ashby who then had to place the orders.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think the clinic has good doctor's and being in the Brigham has access to great resources. I also think they are a business and their goal is to get people in and out (pregnant) so at times it feels a little too much like a factory. Overall, though, I had a good experience and I would (and am) going to go back.
I really appreciated Dr. Ashby's approach - very much "down to business". She clearly cared about how I/we were doing, but there was a game plan. I wanted results and Dr. Ashby was there to discuss what to do, when and how to get the results.
It was not as organized as I would have liked it to be. I believe I sent a few emails that needed quicker responses and I had a massive billing situation that took a long time to work out that should never have been an issue.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I really appreciated Dr. Ashby's approach. I was working with another doctor before who was very knowledgeable but I felt was almost too timid in her strategy. Dr. Ashby was willing to be a little more aggressive and understand that I wanted results immediately. For each appointment she was up-to-date on where I was in the process and ready to explain the next steps and why. She was very efficient, yet I felt that I had time to ask any questions I needed.
She moves fast and is down to business. If you need someone to go slowly and be a bit more nurturing, I am not sure if this would be the best fit. That said, I would never say Dr. Ashby doesn't care and/or is cold.
I was on Letrozole to help me ovulate and then tried timed intercourse. The first round did not work. The second round we decided to do IUI and that worked! Another round of letrozole and follicle monitoring. There was question about whether or not I had too many mature follicles, but Dr. Ashby felt it was fine to proceed with IUI and I'm so thankful I did.
Insurance covered my treatments so I do not know exactly the costs.

2013 - 2015
1 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Brigham and Women's is a big clinic and you may not get the personal attention that you get from some of the smaller clinics. I liked the team of doctors there and also liked that they have options where you can see some of the doctors from the city in the suburbs and not have to drive into Boston all of the time....We did multiple embryo transfers since I was older and the quality of my eggs/embryos.
2013 - 2015
1 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Brigham and Women's is a big clinic and you may not get the personal attention that you get from some of the smaller clinics. I liked the team of doctors there and also liked that they have options where you can see some of the doctors from the city in the suburbs and not have to drive into Boston all of the time. They are also some of the best doctors and I was happy to be getting help from them to start our family.
She would explain what options we had. I was older when we started and knew that it might not be easy but knew that she was there to help us start the family that we so badly wanted.
This is the team that we had most of our communication with when we received test results along the way and would share with us what we needed to do in terms up changing dosage of medications I was taking.
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I was happy to be working with Serene since she was part of the Brigham and Women's team and she also had other doctors that she could consult when she wanted to bounce something off another doctor. During our meetings she was present there for us to discuss our options. We went through 5 IVF cycles with her and the last 2 were donor egg. Our first donor cycle went terribly wrong and she had felt bad. Knowing this she wanted to lay out our options and went above and beyond if we opted to do a 5th cycle in which we did. She was very surprised by the results of our 1st donor cycle that being worse than my cycles. When we opted for the 5th and final try she even worked with us to secure a donor. The only thing that I wish is when we had a failure she was the one who reached out and not to hear it from the nurses. While we always met with her during our appointments we never spoke with her during the tests and results always came from the nurses. We would then meet with her but it was often a few weeks after we had received the news.
She is busy and you will see her for your appointments but most of your communication will be with the nurses. Also she is only in Foxboro once a week so it limited the times that she could make an appointment if you wanted to see her there verses Boston.
This process was so easy and they had time set aside in the morning where we could come in. Super easy and did not add stress to an already stressful process.
We are lucky to live in MA where fertility treatment is covered through our insurance so other than medication co-pays we did not have much in terms of costs for the IVF procedures. Our expenses came in with the egg donor process and that can be costly.
We did multiple embryo transfers since I was older and the quality of my eggs/embryos. She also tried icsi where they place a small pin hole in the embryo increasing the chances that it would take.
Foxborough

The [Brigham] nursing staff is super sweet...The admin staff is really bad. They don't return phone calls very quickly, are not helpful on the phone. When I filled out paperwork to get my records (as I was moving), they gave me the wrong instructions. When my new doctor requested records from them, they never came.
Dr. Ginsburg knows her stuff and has seen dozens and dozens of cases. In some instances, this means that she knows what has worked and doesn't really need to know a lot about you personally. But she still makes an effort to be kind and get to know you - she's pretty cut/dry (not a lot of chit chat), but friendly. Her nursing staff is great, but administrative staff is super unresponsive, and that makes it frustrating.
One of the nurses specifically recommended we try Clomid without IUI. The doctor hadn't actually suggested this, but she turned out to be right. That's what ultimately worked!
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg is an expert - not necessarily warm and fuzzy, but super fair and helpful and patient. I was seeking a compassionate caregiver, but also one who could help guide us on the right next steps when you aren't always certain what to do. She's no nonsense. Her nursing staff is super sweet. Her administrative staff sucks (bluntly - rude and unresponsive, hard to make apps, etc.). That part can make it difficult. Also, since she is at a hospital, simple procedures like IUI will cost a lot more (need to pay hospital fee vs. just doing it at a clinic). Luckily she pointed this out, so we went to do IUI at the Harvard Vanguard clinic.
Figure out which simple procedures may be cheaper to do elsewhere so you can avoid expensive hospital fees. For IVF, I believe it's the same cost. Also, figure out a way to make appts while you're there so you can avoid having to call their unhelpful staff.

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
You definitely had to get to the ultrasound clinic [at Brigham] right when they opened, they were on a first come first serve basis and the waiting room was always full. [Dr. Hornstein's nurse] was very nice, but sometimes a little inpatient relaying the information.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He was very hard to get a hold of personally, I was always talking to his nurse. When we did sit down with him he had to re-read his notes on our case, as though he was not familiar with it. When we did have appointments with us he went over everything in detail and made us feel positive about our progress. However, when I was diagnosed with severe ovarian hyper stimulation I spoke to almost every doctor in his practice, only speaking to him once when hospitalized for the week.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Barbara Appel)
I spoke to Barbara the most. I think because they see so many patients that sometimes they forget this is new to us, so they go through the information quickly. She was very nice, but sometimes a little inpatient relaying the information.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
He was very thorough in his testing and in our health history for both my husband and I. We never felt rushed when we had appointments with him, however, he was very hard to get in touch with personally- we spoke mostly to his assigned nurse. I felt like he definitely explained everything to us in a way we could understand, but sometimes the process wasn't always clear to me. I will say, having had 2 prior miscarriages he allowed us to stay on as his patient past the 8 week mark until we felt comfortable being released to our regular OB/GYN, which I was very grateful for.
Write down everything he says, have your questions ready...and make sure you get his nurses direct line for follow up questions. He's very smart and it can sometimes be a little intimidating, but ask your questions until you feel like they were answered in a way you can understand. Also, just know you aren't always going to get him on the phone, so you need to be ok with talking to his assigned nurse.
You definitely had to get to the ultrasound clinic right when they opened, they were on a first come first serve basis and the waiting room was always full. They opened very early so it was convenient for traffic and to get to work on time.

2003 - 2013
4 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Keith [Isaacson] was always there for me. I never felt rushed talking to him. He always took my concerns seriously. When I asked him to do my transfers, he always said yes, instead of farming me out to another doc. When I had to be hospitalized during a pregnancy, he met me at the hospital in the middle of the night and personally did an ultrasound, and stayed with me. He was and is amazing.
2003 - 2013
4 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
When I first started with Keith, he was at MGH. By the time I was doing IVF with Keith, he had moved to Newton Wellesley Hospital. At one point, he was doing IVF retrieval/transfer at Boston IVF. He has a minimally invasive surgical suite at NWH--not sure if he does all transfers there today or if he still has a Boston IVF affiliation.
Keith was always there for me. I never felt rushed talking to him. He always took my concerns seriously. When I asked him to do my transfers, he always said yes, instead of farming me out to another doc. When I had to be hospitalized during a pregnancy, he met me at the hospital in the middle of the night and personally did an ultrasound, and stayed with me. He was and is amazing.
How was your experience with Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
He is a great listener, a great communicator. He is VERY gentle. I spent many years getting to know Keith--and always felt he was my advocate. I have three daughters BECAUSE of him. And, I continued to see him after I had children--he even performed my recent hysterectomy. I am sad to say I have no more reasons right now to be his patient!
Do whatever you can to get yourself to Keith first. From what I have experienced with other docs at other fertility clinics, it is far more of a factory approach. NOT with Keith.
I had four IVFs--each one with more add ons. I won't remember all of the specifics as the last one was 13 years ago--and I am sure there are more sophisticated protocols now. I definitely did Lupron shots--plus whatever else. Progesterone injections post transfer. I know he did IXCI (I may be misspelling this) and assisted hatch as well on the fourth (successful) cycle
Thankfully, Massachusetts insurance pays for infertility treatment. I know the total costs for my care were extraordinary--but have blocked out the dollar figure!
Keith Isaacson
Newton

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

2010 - 2012
I LOVED Kathy. She was attentive, caring and able to explain all of the medical stuff ot me. She always called me right away with test results and spent as much time on the phone as needed. She was my cheerleader through the whole process...The clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital] is part of a major teaching hospital. So, the couple of times there were emergent issues, I was treated by a fellow and not the doctor. That said, the fellows are amazing and talented. There is always someone available 24/7 which was really helpful when I had issues off-hours. Also, if you're paying out of pocket, procedures are more expensive because the hospital charges more than free standing clinics.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The clinic is part of a major teaching hospital. So, the couple of times there were emergent issues, I was treated by a fellow and not the doctor. That said, the fellows are amazing and talented. There is always someone available 24/7 which was really helpful when I had issues off-hours. Also, if you're paying out of pocket, procedures are more expensive because the hospital charges more than free standing clinics.
Dr Fox spent time getting to know me as a person, not just someone who was trying to get pregnant. She listened to my questions and concerns and set the treatment in a way that made sense for me. Not just for her success rate.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy Lyons)
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Fox is a wonderful doctor who cares deeply about her patients and helping them achieve the families they dream of. I liked that she explained all of the medical things I was going to experience. I also liked that she didn't just follow protocol when it came to testing, but also her gut. She also looked out for my financial and psychological well-being.
She has a strong Long Island accent that if you're not used to, takes a little getting used to. Be as open as possible with her so she can use all the information in your treatment.
The monitoring appointments for ovulation/IVF were early in the morning before they opened up ultrasounds to others. It interrupted my morning routine, but it was early enough that I was able to get to work ontime. The window was big enough and there were enough rooms that I didn't have to wait long. The ultrasounds after I got pregnant were scheduled at my convenience.
All of my expenses were covered by insurance except the co-pay
She did want to transfer 2 embryos on my first IVF cycle. I wasn't willing to risk twins and so we had a pretty emotional discussion. Ultimately, though, she listened to me and my needs.

2006 - 2011
It was busy practice so the front office staff and Dr. Y really didn't get to know you very well. As a patient you spend more time with the blood lab and ultrasound people. I was very fortunate to get pregnant on my 3rd IUI with Dr. Y. I was with a more local doctor when trying for my second years later...Since it's at the Brigham, it can be overwhelming given all the other focus areas of the hospital overall. Do your homework and prepare to make the most of your time there. I remember sitting in an orientation clinic with a large group of hopeful parents-to-be and getting a large folder of information. It was overwhelming but doable.
2006 - 2011
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
It was a long time ago. My experience varied depending on who I got to see. Some had more bedside manner than others.
How was your experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
It was my first time as a fertility patient so it was definitely an overwhelming experience. Dr. Y was very practical and knowledgeable. She has a lot of strengths but the office was so busy that there could have been more help for newbies like myself.
Do you research, be prepared as you won't have a lot of individual time with Dr. Y. She cares tho and is very professional and knowledgeable.
Back in 2006, insurance companies were still requiring the 3 IUIs first so that's what we did and my 3rd IUI was successful and now my beautiful daughter is almost 10 :) I was happy that my insurance covered the injectable pen then as it was relatively new and less intimidating than the thicker ones they had then.
I was fortunate that my insurance picked up most of my care.
Embryo Freezing, IVF, Surrogacy
Appointments aren’t always easy to get [at Brigham & Women's Hospital]. There may be a waiting period to see Dr Ashby. She is incredibly busy but worth the wait. The weakness is locations. Newton Wellesley and Brigham and women’s have so much traffic to get to both...Allison [nurse] is responsive to all emails or questions. She is very hands on and involved in every aspect of the journey. She was kind and experienced...She [Dr. Rachel Ashby] will tell you everything in detail and assertively.
Embryo Freezing, IVF, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Appointments aren’t always easy to get. There may be a waiting period to see Dr Ashby. She is incredibly busy but worth the wait. The weakness is locations. Newton Wellesley and Brigham and women’s have so much traffic to get to both.
Dr Ashby is kind-hearted and sensitive but keeps everything straight to the point so there are no misunderstandings and emotional rollercoasters. She takes the time to explain everything in detail giving attention to you as if she has known you for years.
Allison is responsive to all emails or questions. She is very hands on and involved in every aspect of the journey. She was kind and experienced.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Ashby is extremely intelligent and a great communicator. She will explain everything in detail without having anything be misleading or related without clarification. She has shown that she has been doing this for quite some time so she doesn’t give way to sympathy however her tone and manner shows she cares. She treats you like you are the only patient. When there was an issue with my insurance she called them the day it happened to resolve the problem. We absolutely adore her and love that she doesn’t sugar coat anything and gives false hope and emotions.
She will tell you everything in detail and assertively. She is extremely talented and intelligent. She has the same goals as her patients and strives to get you to achieve that goal.
In process now
She has a strong preference towards SET. She explained the risks which we were not comfortable with. I don’t know that she will do a DET as we have the same feelings.
Boston

Nancy [nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital] was excellent! Incredibly compassionate and responsive. A real life saver in stressful moments...They were very helpful with helping with costs and contacting the insurance provider... The process can be daunting and I really appreciated how easily I could reach the nurses with questions or concerns. They’re very responsive and you never have to wait long for a call back. The day I went in for my pregnancy test, Grace, who draws blood, ran my sample right down to the lab and I got my (positive) result about an hour later. Amazing!
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think the clinic worked very well overall, a well oiled machine. They make everything easy to understand and are with you every step of the way. The process can be daunting and I really appreciated how easily I could reach the nurses with questions or concerns. They’re very responsive and you never have to wait long for a call back. The day I went in for my pregnancy test, Grace, who draws blood, ran my sample right down to the lab and I got my (positive) result about an hour later. Amazing!
Dr. Ashby is direct but very smart and caring. She’s intelligent and can talk quickly but always allows time for questions and you can reach her nurses any time of the day, which I utilized quite a bit!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Nancy & Lisa)
Nancy was excellent! Incredibly compassionate and responsive. A real life saver in stressful moments.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby really knows what she’s doing. She was candid with me and set realistic expectations, which is very important. She advised on the best treatment for me personally and helped my husband and I think through decisions.
Ask questions if she talks too quickly.
Birth control for 12-15 days, break, injections including Menupur & Gonal F, trigger shot. Then for 10 weeks Endometrin suppositories twice a day.
My IVF was covered by insurance so I’ve had to pay copays for ultrasound and prescriptions. That ended up being pricey but that’s because of my insurance plan. They were very helpful with helping with costs and contacting the insurance provider.
We ended up transferring 2 embryos based on their recommendation. Dr Ashby’s advice was based on my age and number/quality of embryos. One of the embryos took so I’m glad we transferred two.
5 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital] was good, in the hospital, so what you'd expect. Ran pretty much on time. Sticks to IVF protocol to a T so a lot of appts. Had to meet w/ a social worker before IVF. Had to meet w/ a high risk OBGYN bc of my BMI, had to meet w/ anesthesiologist before retrieval too. Lots of appts...I spoke to a few different nurses, 1 was exceptional- Zussanah. The others seemed inpatient and annoyed at my questions
European, East Asian, Ashkenazi Jewish
5 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Clinic was good, in the hospital, so what you'd expect. Ran pretty much on time. Sticks to IVF protocol to a T so a lot of appts. Had to meet w/ a social worker before IVF. Had to meet w/ a high risk OBGYN bc of my BMI, had to meet w/ anesthesiologist before retrieval too. Lots of appts.
He listened to my needs, met with me a full hour at my initial consultation, gave realistic expectations, answered all questions thoroughly
I spoke to a few different nurses, 1 was exceptional- Zussanah. The others seemed inpatient and annoyed at my questions.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Thorough, good at explaining details, kind, realistic, gentle. Very knowledgeable, sensitive. Made me feel that every question I asked held importance and never seemed annoyed (I ask a lot of questions)
He is great, if you have any questions at all, ask. He is very patient.
Lots of testing. I had 5 failed IUIs with another Doctor. Has a very specific protocol. On Day 2 of your natural cycle start OTBC for 10 days. Then have ultrasound for baseline, Then start Menopur and Gonal-f for 5 days. Monitor egg development. Take trigger shot w/Lupron. After egg retrieval Start Crinone.
My insurance covered actual IVF. Had co pays every visit and every time blood was drawn, ultrasound.
BC of my age (36) and my BMI (High) only recommended single embryo. His mentality was age and BMI already made it a high-risk pregnancy for myself and baby. Possible multiples would just add to that risk for both

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I had a paper [from Brigham & Women's Hospital] that said I was doing one protocol, then they called me with instructions that were totally different from what the paper said. It was very confusing. Turns out my protocol had changed...I think they have a great secretary Michelle who keeps things organized and running smoothly. Also the girl who does all of the submitting to insurance knows what she’s doing and was very helpful. Sometimes I had an ultrasound appointment first thing in the morning and the tech wasn’t in yet. So that could be improved.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
She was definitely all business, but also sympathetic when we weren’t getting pregnant/ had a miscarriage.
Nancy was the sweetest most compassionate nurse. I loved her. Also Joanie for my blood draws was great.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
It’s hard for me to separate my feelings for her from the frustration I felt during the whole process. Sometimes I was angry with her but other times I thought she was knowledgeable. One time my protocol had changed but I still had the instruction sheet from the original protocol. Sometimes I felt like things were missed or I had to remind her of things.
She’s good but all business.
I had no reason for not conceiving other than my age. So she chose protocols to match my diminished ovarian reserve. When the first cycle resulted in all negative test results, she changed it up for next time. She acted surprised each time I didn’t get pregnant because my embryos looked so good.
Didn’t have insurance for the consult, so we had to pay that out of pocket. I forget what it was. $500-$750 maybe? After that it was all about meeting my insurance deductible and huge copays for the medications.

1 IVF, Surrogacy
A nice clinic [Brigham and Womens] to work with, tends to be busy as the BWH is a very large center...Just one time that I was waiting for an answer to a question and it took a few days to receive an answer, so I had to call back and follow through...Dr. Srouji knew my name and our case and took the time to review my medical history and cover all the details, and be in touch with my other doctors.
1 IVF, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
A nice clinic to work with, tends to be busy as the BWH is a very large center.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Holly Hughes)
Most of our contact was via phone and email, only met once in person. They were very helpful, were quick to respond to emails and answer any questions that I had.
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Srouji was a caring, friendly doctor. She took the time to explain the surrogacy process and answer any questions that I had brought with me. She was genuinely excited by our success and wanted to be updated when our daughter was born. She is very busy so there were times that communication as slow, but I understand that just as I am given the time and effort, so are her other patients.
Be patient with the wait times in between appointments/phone calls. Brigham is a busy clinic!
Dr. Srouji created a very specific IVF plan based on my medical issues, and monitored me very carefully, explaining her decisions along the way. We did a very low dose of hormone stimulation with constant US and blood tests to check levels along the way. Our cycle was effective and produced several viable eggs for transfer.
I did all of my monitoring appointments at the local clinic, it was very convenient and wait times were minimal, staff was very helpful.
The total cost for the clinic and hormone meds for our GC was around $10,000

4 IUI, 4 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Please don’t hesitate to come to this clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital], they are amazing to work with. You are greeted by name and with a smile each time you walk in the door. Each nurse you work with knows your history and is very skilled at their job.... All of the nursing and clerical staff were amazing! They greeted me by name and with a smile every day. They were compassionate and very skilled at their jobs.
4 IUI, 4 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Please don’t hesitate to come to this clinic, they are amazing to work with. You are greeted by name and with a smile each time you walk in the door. Each nurse you work with knows your history and is very skilled at their job.
The doctor was friendly, compassionate and very realistic about my fertility situation. At my last transfer I was at the point of exhaustion from years of trying, and was teary. He gave me a reassuring side hug and it meant so much to my husband and I that we had a doctor that cared about his patients so much. I highly recommend this practice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Carrie)
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Gargiulo is extremely competent, smart, friendly and compassionate. He spent enough time to answer my questions and listen to my concerns. I always left my appointments with a game plan that I was confident in. I highly recommend him and his practice.
Make a list of questions and concerns that you have because there is so much that you will learn from the visits that you may forget things.
I started with cycle dependent IUI, and switched to IVF when those didn’t work. The staff was very accommodating with appointment times and availability for teachings and answering questions
My insurance covered 100 percent of all costs, I was very fortunate.
Due to the small size of my uterus, it was recommended to me that I do a single embryo transfer to avoid complications and or having to possibly make the gut wrenching decision of aborting a multiple. They really had my best interest in mind.

2013 - 2016
Getting a first appointment can take a long while, also because they Brigham & Women's Hospital] are so busy they will only allow you to have one pending appointment at a time. When problems arise they do get you in the same day without problems... Pam handled most of the communication, but all of the nursing staff was always quick to return calls and keep me updated. When they had bad news to report they always did it in a manner that felt they were sorry and empathetic.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Getting a first appointment can take a long while, also because they are so busy they will only allow you to have one pending appointment at a time. When problems arise they do get you in the same day without problems. Getting appointments that require testing can result in you having an ultrasound at 10 am and then seeing the doctor at 1 pm, so you need to plan accordingly.
Our first transfer ended up with an ectopic pregnancy, she showed a lot empathy and urged us to find the silver lining that we had achieved pregnancy. With every failed cycle she always mentioned how we were getting closer to our goal. She is not touchy-feely but she is not cold either.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Pam Reilly)
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She goes directly to the point and is very clear about possibilities and scenarios. She was quick to adjust my protocol when she did not get the amount of eggs expected. She is knowledgeable about insurances and will keep contact with other providers to ensure everything is ready
Most treatments were the same, Lupron as well as GonalF. My last cycle where she adjusted the protocol to try to increase the egg yield, she added a birth control patch and Menopur
Everything was covered by insurance, we only had to pay deductible, but I believe a full cycle with retrieval and transfer was around $15,000

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Not having a consistent nurse assigned to My case [at Brigham - Bos] is my biggest complaint...There were some nursing changes happening At the time of our treatments, so we never had one nurse that we consistently talked with. That would be my biggest complaint with my experience at Brigham. I did get timely call backs however...
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Not having a consistent nurse assigned to My case is my biggest complaint
Dr. Fox took her time with us, thoroughly answered all question and made us feel that she was personally invested in the outcome of or treatments
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
We saw Dr. Fox for a second opinion regarding ongoing fertility issues. After out first visit with her, she made us few confident in the approach she would use to hep us concieve.
She runs late at times, but it is worth the wait. She spends as much time as needed with you. We never felt rushed, and we always had a lot of questions!
She did some Initial testing Amd blood work that she felt was not done previously, and then we proceeded with an egg retrieval using a different medicine and protocol. After my retrieval, we proceeded with PGS testing, at which time 2 eggs came back normal. I then had my first frozen transfer, which resulted in a negative pregnancy. We met with Dr Fox again to review my case. I then had a battery of tests looking for uterine abnormalities, including polyp removal. I did a prep cycle to see how my uterus responded to the medicines in my protocol, and when she was satisfied with that I had another transfer, which has resulted in a pregnancy. I am currently 16 weeks

2011 - 2015
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Not as new facilities as MGH [at Brigham - Bos] and the doctors don't do your ultrasound but your own doctor reviews your results every time unlike other places...Susan is no nonsense but she has to be as the gateway to the doctor. She has a softer side but not as evident when you first meet her- her organization is amazing though...I recall that once my appointment was scheduled for a different time than I was told. They made room for me regardless of the schedule...
2011 - 2015
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Not as new facilities as MGH and the doctors don't do your ultrasound but your own doctor reviews your results every time unlike other places.
She is amazing. So prompt with follow up including personal email and phone calls during her vacations. Spoke to the psychological side and not just medical. I am still in touch with her today even though our family is complete!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Susan fisher)
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I adore her. She is the best and you could not ask for better medical and emotional care. I cannot say enough accolades about her! She answered every medical question thoroughly and appreciated that I had done my own research. I felt confident that I wasn't just a number and she cared and was willing to take risks on my drug cocktail to get better results. She even coordinated care for me while I was living abroad so I could come back to Boston for a FET.
She is very busy so use your time thoughtfully. Trust her. She will be candid with you and doesn't care about the stats for her patients. She wants the best result for everyone.
No lupron - antagonist cycle instead since I had had poor egg quality with lupron suppression. We also used some sort of "sweetener" to enhance egg quality. Used gonal f and ganirelix
All paid by insurance except for a CET cycle I had to pay for myself since located outside of USA
Boston

They [the staff at Brigham & Women's] were kind and thorough. They have a lot going on and it lead to long waits for monitoring some mornings. They were responsive when I was in cycle, but not after I was done. They did not call to update me as my embryos grew, but that may have been related to the study we participated in.... During my cycle the staff were great and very responsive. After my cycle I needed paperwork for insurance and I couldn’t get anyone to return my call. It took weeks before I got a response and then was never able to get what I needed.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
They were kind and thorough. They have a lot going on and it lead to long waits for monitoring some mornings. They were responsive when I was in cycle, but not after I was done. They did not call to update me as my embryos grew, but that may have been related to the study we participated in.
She is kind and thoughtful.
How was your experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
The only down side is she was always far behind on her schedule, but it was usually because she had emergencies. She was thoughtful and thorough. She listened to my concerns and responded accordingly.
Make sure you have time for the appointments. As things may take some time.
She recommended to move directly to IVF due to my abdominal pain from endometriosis. She was honest that IUI would not be the right plan for me and would just prolong pain. I started with the pre-treatment testing and then moved to treatment. I started with birth control and then injection for several days with close monitoring via blood work and ultrasound. I had a HCG trigger and then egg retrieval. They then did a 5 day fresh transfer one one embryo.
There were many women in the waiting room and some morning they didn’t have enough techs. This lead to long waits.
I was lucky to have good insurance coverage due to mandatory coverage in Massachusetts.
Describe Elena Yanushpolsky's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
We participated in a study that required single embryo transfer. If we didn’t participate In the study our doctor still have strongly recommended eset. That recommended was based on my age and experience.

1 IVF, Egg Freezing
I wasn't that impressed with her [Dr Ashby's] nurse. She was very disorganized and didn't really seem to understand my cycle... Had I been relying more on Susan [my nurse] for instructions, the outcomes could have been very different.
European, South Asian
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Rachel was amazing. She truly cares. She held my hand while I cried and helped us to come up with a plan that we felt good about. She was great about 'thinking outside the box' and devising a plan that truly looked at why previous treatments had failed.
I wasn't that impressed with her nurse. She was very disorganized and didn't really seem to understand my cycle. Rachel Ashby and I had come up with a good plan, which was not in line with the 'normal' protocols of that clinic. I was very, very involved with what we were doing, so I wasn't very reliant on the nurse to tell me what to do, and when. Had I been relying more on Susan for instructions, the outcomes could have been very different. I'm sure she's fine if you're following a very standard cycle, but in my case we were not.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Rachel Ashby was wonderful. Appointments with her were like talking to a good friend. I felt that she truly cared and was totally honest with us about expectations and outcomes. I cannot recommend her highly enough. When there was a setback in my latest cycle, she phoned me out of hours to reassure me and answer any questions.
She is so popular that it can take months to get an appointment. She is worth waiting for. I made the mistake, in my haste to get in with a fertility doctor, to initially go to someone else. In the long run, that cost me a lot more time. Wait a few extra months to see Dr Ashby, she's totally worth the wait.

2004 - 2011
I spent a lot of time talking with the nursing staff [at Brigham] and felt they were always responsive and caring...I found this clinic to be much more innovative and open to new ideas and solutions....My cycles were covered by insurance. I paid roughly $350 per cycle in meds....Dr. Hornstein is a great listener. He made me feel part of the process and the solution. He delivered information with kindness but also with the level of information I truly needed.
2004 - 2011
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I was that person who was always told there's a chance that X or Y could be the problem but probably not - and it always was. I spent a lot of time talking with the nursing staff and felt they were always responsive and caring.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I came to Dr. Hornstein after a bad experience with another local clinic. I had had a successful IVF, then miscarriage, then D&C that left me Asherman's syndrome while at the first clinic. Dr. Hornstein was the first RE to truly listen to me and to come up with a treatment plan that worked for me. When we hit set backs, he was innovative in his approach to overcoming them. I have the utmost respect for him and he truly is the reason I've got children today.
Make sure you ask all of the questions you have. Don't hold back. He is a great listener and he will fully answer your questions but you have to be open and share all that you are thinking of.
It's been a number of years. I did 4 IVF cycles with Dr. Hornstein. The final one resulted in a healthy twin pregnancy. My boys were born in 2004 so it's been a while.
My cycles were covered by insurance. I paid roughly $350 per cycle in meds.
This really didn't exist when I was undergoing my IVF cycles. We transferred a number of embryos in my final IVF that resulted in fraternal twin boys.

2013 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Despite being in a big hospital the clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital] feels small and cozy. The entire staff has always been helpful and friendly! My lab results have always come back quickly and the nurse has called shortly after. When I have left a voicemail on the nurses line it is always returned in a timely fashion. I don't have any weaknesses to describe at this time... we are about to start IVF...Grace [nurse] is one of kind. She has the ability to make you smile even during the most difficult of times. She would cheer along as my HCG numbers went up and hugged us after our loss. Clinic Nps
2013 - 2019
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Despite being in a big hospital the clinic feels small and cozy. The entire staff has always been helpful and friendly! My lab results have always come back quickly and the nurse has called shortly after. When I have left a voicemail on the nurses line it is always returned in a timely fashion. I don't have any weaknesses to describe at this time... we are about to start IVF.
Dr. Ashby was kind and compassionate and always delivered the risks and facts in a gentle way.
Grace is one of kind. She has the ability to make you smile even during the most difficult of times. She would cheer along as my HCG numbers went up and hugged us after our loss.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
We did two rounds of IUI to conceive our son with Dr. Ashby and are now about to start IVF after two miscarriages to hopefully complete our family. My last miscarriage was a natural pregnancy at 13 weeks. Dr. Ashby called before my D&E and helped us through an extremely difficult time. She has met with us several times to present us all the options and risks of each. She has been compassionate and positive and we feel very lucky she is supporting our decision.
Trust her!
2 rounds of IUI and about to start IVF
IUI was covered by insurance.... about to start IVF

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
This clinic [Brigham & Women's Hosptial] runs late a lot unfortunately. There we’re some administrative missteps with paperwork and Insurance dealings that they have since corrected since I’ve been there. There doesn’t seem to be a sense of urgency when they are late which I think makes sense because they’re caring for individuals but it is a problem for those waiting... During the times I saw nursing staff they made me feel really comfortable in their care
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This clinic runs late a lot unfortunately. There we’re some administrative missteps with paperwork and Insurance dealings that they have since corrected since I’ve been there. There doesn’t seem to be a sense of urgency when they are late which I think makes sense because they’re caring for individuals but it is a problem for those waiting
Dr. Anchan really took the time to understand my specific needs. As a patient with endometriosis pain and treatment options can vary greatly and he was able to steer me on the right path for my specific needs
How was your experience with Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Anchan is an extremely caring doctor. He performed surgery on me and I felt fully confident in his abilities despite being nervous about the procedure itself. He’s very knowledgeable about women’s reproductive health and fully answered all of my questions. Despite being busy, I never felt rushed in his care
He is typically running late so keep that in mind, but is worth waiting to see.
This is not applicable to my situation yet
Describe the costs associated with your care under Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I was told by my insurance that he’s More expensive because treatment is provided in a hospital
This is not applicable to my situation yet

2017 - 2019
Good clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital]. Strengths include technical competence, good success rates, great doctors, and willingness to explain treatments and options clearly. Weaknesses: hard to get appointments (if over 40, they may accommodate so I had to learn to ask)... For over 40 the clinic has an algorithm to estimate how many embryos to transfer. I had 3 transferred both times. If I had had more available we would have transferred more for the 3 day fresh transfer.
2017 - 2019
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Good clinic. Strengths include technical competence, good success rates, great doctors, and willingness to explain treatments and options clearly. Weaknesses: hard to get appointments (if over 40, they may accommodate so I had to learn to ask)
Dr. Ashby is very kind and genuinely warm in person.
The nurses are very good, but for much of my treatment there was a different nurse each day, which was confusing when I had questions or needed meds. It all worked out.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby is very clear and knowledgeable, and definitely listened to my goals when planning my fertility journey. She was highly supportive of me becoming a single mother by choice. She did some of my procedures including one IVF retrieval. The other IVF was done by the doctor on call that day, who was also great.
Don't hesitate if you think you want to have kids. It may take many tries.
We did 4 IUIs in order to get insurance to cover IVF. First IVF was a high dose gonal f and menopur protocol with 5 day transfer. Second successful IVF was menopur only and 3 day transfer.
Insurance covered most everything except ICSI and donor sperm.
For over 40 the clinic has an algorithm to estimate how many embryos to transfer. I had 3 transferred both times. If I had had more available we would have transferred more for the 3 day fresh transfer. The clinic is good for "advanced maternal age" treatment decisions.
Boston
[Brigham & Women's Hospital is] Very responsive that day if you call before the clinic is closed. You can get an appointment quickly or bloodwork. Works well with my work schedule. When calling the nursing station, you leave a voicemail and get a return call which is always prompt but would be interested in talking at that time...The staff there was great. From the unit clerk, Michelle to all the nursing staff and ultrasound technicians. Very supportive during difficult times and responsive and caring.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Felt very cared for and supported after miscarriage and d&c procedure.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Nancy, Deb, Jonie)
How was your experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She was very caring for circumstances I underwent. Was very thorough and sat and explained things to my husband and I. I felt very comfortable asking questions to her and what was next. She was apologetic to our situation during miscarriage and procedure.
A piece of advice would be ask questions if you don’t understand she will gladly answer them!
6 rounds of medication cycles with timed intercourse and 1 round of intrauterine insemination. Insurance required 6 rounds before ivf.
Costs for medication copays were high. Was sent to a nearby hospital for excessive bleeding and miscarriage d&c copay was very high unfortunately.
South Shore

I wish I could thank them [the nursing staff at Brigham] personally after surgery. I never met such a great team. they treat you as queen with a lot of kindness, care and attention. they explained to me each step what they were doing, we even laughed right before surgery begin.... It is clean, neat place with all necessary departments under one roof. it could be a bit complicated to find right room, so I would recommend to come earlier to your appointment in case you get lost.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Doctor Garqiulo is a doctor with big heart. He listens with attention all your needs, questions. You feel comfortable next to him. I totally trust him myself for planned surgery.
I wish I could thank them personally after surgery. I never met such a great team. they treat you as queen with a lot of kindness, care and attention. they explained to me each step what they were doing, we even laughed right before surgery begin.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Amazing talented doctor from God. From first meeting with him, then later in surgery day and on post-surgery meeting I had strong confident feeling inside of me that its best doctor whom I could trust myself and my health. I did right choice! Knowledgeable, experienced, companioned, attentive. even that human charming smile means so much to us, his patients. I highly recommend him. Dr. Gargiulo is the best!
Do not have doubts, if you chose Dr. Gargiulo, you are in safe hands!
Boston
The office staff [Brigham] are somewhat less helpful and considerate than the nursing staff and the doctors. However, they have been very thorough and organized with our care. They have coordinated with each other to ensure all tests and procedures are done to help us make a decision....The nurses have been very sweet and have taken the time to call us back and answer our questions promptly....
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The office staff are somewhat less helpful and considerate than the nursing staff and the doctors. However, they have been very thorough and organized with our care. They have coordinated with each other to ensure all tests and procedures are done to help us make a decision.
She was kind, considerate, and thoughtful. She considered both mine and my wife's health, needs, and concerns. She took the time to talk to us about all of our options.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg was very informative and open about our options. She allowed us to ask questions and she provided us clear, thorough information. She was open with us about the risks and her concerns, but also listened to our concerns and wishes.
To be open to hear everything that she has to say, and to be open about your wishes and your concerns. She is flexible and open to working with people.
Dr. Ginsburg has had both me and my wife undergo various evaluations and tests to ensure we have the best plan. Such as HSG, lab work, and meeting with maternal fetal medicine.
13,000 plus 8,000 for medications
We wish she would be a little more flexible with doing multiple embryo transfer.
Boston

I think Brigham is generally a good clinic - decent waiting times, nice facilities, cutting-edge research and technology. It's well-set up to deal with fertility and has efficient processes, even when you have procedures at weekends. The administration side is sometimes slow... I have had issues getting call backs, and occasionally been told different things by different nurses.... Intermittent service from the nurses as Dr Ashby's main nurse left during the period of treatment.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think Brigham is generally a good clinic - decent waiting times, nice facilities, cutting-edge research and technology. It's well-set up to deal with fertility and has efficient processes, even when you have procedures at weekends. The administration side is sometimes slow, particularly in getting call-backs.
Dr Ashby is very friendly and chatty with me, and showed lots of interest in my personal life and motivations when we first met. Although she's sometimes rushed, I feel like she cares about me personally and my care and results.
Intermittent service from the nurses as Dr Ashby's main nurse left during the period of treatment. They're subbing in for each other which makes communication sometimes inconsistent, and it can be hard to get same-day callbacks with urgent questions.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I have found Dr Ashby extremely straightforward and pragmatic. She listens to what I want, and balances it with her medical opinion. I am a Single Mother by Choice and she has been fully supportive and encouraging of that route to parenthood.
She's very straightforward - if you like that, you'll like her!
Boston
The clinic [Brigham & Women's] was great: staff was friendly and competent; facility was clean; and hours for appointments was amenable to my schedule. There really were no weaknesses of this clinic. I always felt welcome and well cared for.... Marsha and Carrie were the two nurses who cared for me through the four cycles. They are amazing, smart, compassionate, and on top of everything.... The only mishaps was when they needed to draw blood for a test. The nurse collected the sample in the wrong tube. The only impact was that I had to go back the next day for another blood draw. It was inconvenient but no big deal.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The clinic was great: staff was friendly and competent; facility was clean; and hours for appointments was amenable to my schedule. There really were no weaknesses of this clinic. I always felt welcome and well cared for.
Dr Garguilo is a warm and caring doctor. He states facts and statistics, but in a kind and positive way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Marsha)
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Gargiulo is an extremely experienced and competent fertility doctor, but with a warm and caring genuiness. It took us almost 3 years to have our twins, and Dr Gargiulo kept adjusting our plans as new results occurred. He is wonderful.
Make sure to discuss genetic testing of embryos. Because it is not paid for by insurance, Dr Gargiulo does not recommend it universally. We had to ask to test ours, which he was more than willing to support, but if we did not ask, if could have take us much longer to have children.
I do not remember
Most of mine was covered by insurance with the exception of genetic testing of embryos, of which I paid about $8000 out of pocket.
His philosophy of transferring only one genetically normal embryo at a time is the right one. I willingly transferred two, which he supported, but only after 2 prior failed FETs.

PCOS, Unexplained
Brigham and Women's was organized and pleasant. There was often a wait, but that was to be expected. The rooms for my husband were awful- his account, not mine....Monitoring appointments weren't always great- early mornings, often crowded, some staff was more pleasant than other...Nursing staff in general was very caring and compassionate. They were especially responsive and patien with me as I was always eager for results and next steps
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Anchan immediately and always made my husband and I feel comfortable and empowered during an incredibly stressful and sometimes awkward experience. He understood our emotions but also our need to know the facts. He was kind, funny, and personable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
How was your experience with Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Anchan has wonderful bedside manner. He is also incredibly knowledgable and confident in his practice. We came to him after trying to conceive and had a clear action plan. While it took several months to get pregnant, Dr. Anchan kept us informed and confident in his approach to continue forward. One surprise was that with a single embryo transfer, we ended up with twins...who knew??
Be open and honest with yourself. Take each day as it comes. Lean on others - including your doctors and nurses- for support.
3 Clomid IUI cycles 1 IVF cycle
$0

Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Ashby is awesome but the staff is the worst I've experienced. I had to coordinate my care myself- no one at Brigham ever called me with results and it was IMPOSSIBLE to get set up as a new patient.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The system at Brigham treats you like a number including all of the nursing staff yet Dr. Ashby truly treats you like a human and really talks to you like a person not a doctor.
To date I have not been able to get any of the nurses to respond to my emails or phone calls. When I do get in touch with the nurses, they do not know me, nor do they understand what's going on with me. They do not empathize and are not helpful at all. The only way I could get answers was to make an appt. with Dr. Ashby herself. Dr. Ashby is awesome but the staff is the worst I've experienced.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I felt immediately at ease and comforted with Dr. Ashby- she talked to us like a friend and not a doctor. I never felt as if I were rushed and she even gave me her email address when I wasn't able to get in touch with the nursing staff.
She will try to find a solution that is minimal - from impact to you but also risks associated with the options. She was great to not jump to IVF off the bat yet started with less invasive steps.

PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Every nurse and staff member [at Brigham & Women's Hospital- South Shore] that I encountered was very kind and compassionate and great at their job. I can't say enough good things about my experiences with them!...I had been on clomid for months and had experienced 3 miscarriages. Dr Yanushpolsky ran a new set of blood tests and arranged several tests to check my ovaries, eggs and fallopian tubes. As soon as the results of these tests were available she met with me and explained clomid was not what was needed and I tried one round of Ovidrel as she prescribed and was pregnant that month and had my son.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr Yanushpolsky was very thorough in explaining the issues I was facing medically and why I had suffered miscarriages in the past. She was sympathetic but clear and concise in explaining how she would address the issues.
Every nurse and staff member that I encountered was very kind and compassionate and great at their job. I can't say enough good things about my experiences with them!
How was your experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I had visited 2 other reproductive endocrinologists prior to Dr Yanushpolsky and I found them to have "better" bedside manner but they were not as results oriented as Dr Y. Although she wasn't as chatty or warm as others I had seen she was very nice and very to the point. I felt very confident in her understanding and her care plan for me.
Don't expect hugs, but expect results.
The tests and Ovidrel were covered by my insurance

2012 - 2013
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
I was happy with our clinic [Brigham]. I didn't know any better though so it was comfortable for me. I did donate a better squeezy ball for blood draws because it was so hard to get blood from my arm!...[Nurse] She would leave me the best voicemails. They were always so thoughtful and too long to fit on one call!...Most of my procedures were covered but some were subject to my deductible. All the ultra sounds and stress tests after were subject to my deductible.
2012 - 2013
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I was happy with our clinic. I didn't know any better though so it was comfortable for me. I did donate a better squeezy ball for blood draws because it was so hard to get blood from my arm!
He was very easy to talk to and ask questions. We had time in his office to just talk. He visited me while in the hospital once the girls were born to meet them.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Mark was a wonderful, caring person who connected with us. He walked us through everything, made sure we understood everything, and changed his course when the first cycle didn't work. Again, he visited us after the girls were born while still in the hospital.
Trust him. Go for two! It sounds scary but twins are the best!
I don't remember everything. Lots of shots and I know that I didn't produce as many eggs as we wanted. We used ICSI the second time and that worked.
I am a twin so there was no worry about having twins for me, so I was thrilled that the insurance covered two and we did that. I love being a twin mom!

2013
She [Dr Janis Fox at Brigham and Women's] told me that she couldn't promise to be on time for appointments because at a fertility clinic there are all kinds of unexpected results...She was very warm but I didn't feel like she was completely up front with me. Miscarriage is a common outcome, and it made it harder for me to handle it when she a) didn't warn me that sometimes embryos don't develop heartbeats and b) acted like it was surprising that it had happened.
2013
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The "Intro to IVF" class they make patients sit through it s total waste of time. They have designed it for their own convenience rather than the convenience of patients. Poorly planned and executed.
1) She told me that she couldn't promise to be on time for appointments because at a fertility clinic there are all kinds of unexpected results, like "people getting pregnant." I know from experience that nothing special happens when you get pregnant, and certainly nothing that would cause a doctor to be an hour late. 2) When I miscarried she told me that she was shocked and "hadn't seen this coming." At the time it was mildly comforting, but now that I have been through more cycles I know that this is extremely normal. In retrospect it made me feel as though something terrible had gone wrong when really it's just par for the course. And I can't believe she was truly shocked given how common this is.

2009 - 2011
I had very few complaints about the clinic [Brigham and Womens]. The hours they were available were extensive and convenient (including the availability of on-call doctors). However, if you are looking for a practice where one doctor does all of your procedures, this clinic might not be your best fit. The nurses perform minor procedures such as IUIs. Dr. Ashby only performed one of my egg retrievals and they do have fellows assist or perform retrievals and transfers alongside the main physicians. However, I only had excellent experiences with all of the doctors and fellows involved in my care.
2009 - 2011
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I had very few complaints about the clinic. The hours they were available were extensive and convenient (including the availability of on-call doctors). However, if you are looking for a practice where one doctor does all of your procedures, this clinic might not be your best fit. The nurses perform minor procedures such as IUIs. Dr. Ashby only performed one of my egg retrievals and they do have fellows assist or perform retrievals and transfers alongside the main physicians. However, I only had excellent experiences with all of the doctors and fellows involved in my care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The nurses provide the bulk of care during routine visits and perform the IUIs. Most were fantastic-very skilled, compassionate and knowledgable.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby communicates with patients in an empathetic yet realistic manner. She cares about her patients specific concerns and needs during treatment. For example, we were concerned about creating extra embryos and she was willing to work with us on a less aggressive protocol to limit the number of eggs and, thus, embryos produced.
2 long lupron protocols, one with gonal-f, one with gonal-f and menopur. Second cycle added menopur and less gonal-f with hopes of producing better quality eggs
Boston

This is a great clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital]! They care about how you’re doing physically and mentally. Ready to answer any question, I left messages on two separate occasions and received a call back within 20 minutes each time...They were wonderful. So kind and helpful, such a great nursing team!...I truly can’t say enough about Dr. Gargiulo. He and his team were amazing from start to finish...We’re so grateful t
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This is a great clinic! They care about how you’re doing physically and mentally. Ready to answer any question, I left messages on two separate occasions and received a call back within 20 minutes each time.
Dr. Gargiulo was so kind, patient and caring. He spent time with me and my husband at the consults before surgery, the day of, and at our post-op. During this time he thoroughly explained everything, answered our questions and gave us hope!
They were wonderful. So kind and helpful, such a great nursing team!
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I truly can’t say enough about Dr. Gargiulo. He and his team were amazing from start to finish. We’re so grateful that he was able to perform my surgery, and that we’re one step closer to becoming parents!
He has a very full schedule, but is worth the wait!
I had uterine fibroids that if not removed would’ve prevented pregnancy. He performed a laparoscopic myomectomy, without any issues. I have recovered well, and will hopefully be transferring two embryos this summer!
Boston

[nurses at Brigham & Women's Hospital] explained everything thoroughly on all followup phone calls throughout the process which was like 20+ after every blood test, ultras