Brigham & Women's Hospital

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
75 Francis Street
South Weymouth, MA 02190
Stratham
75 Francis Street
Stratham, NH 03885
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Brigham & Women's Hospital to a friend?
Billing [at Brigham & Women's] was through an app or in office. It was easy to pay but difficult to understand what you were excatly paying for...When I needed off hour support, the fellow on staff was always available. They were professional and caring at all hours of the night...Very busy and you got who you got for your medical procedures. However, all staff at the hospital were great! I always felt confident and comfortable. I was prepared for each step. The scheduling and insurance personnel were easy to work with. I could easily contact them during normal business hours.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Very busy and you got who you got for your medical procedures. However, all staff at the hospital were great! I always felt confident and comfortable. I was prepared for each step. The scheduling and insurance personnel were easy to work with. I could easily contact them during normal business hours. When I needed off hour support, the fellow on staff was always available. They were professional and caring at all hours of the night.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
When with Dr.Ginsburg I always felt Respected and listened to. My question were always anwsered and we always left with a sense of hope! However the clinic is very busy and the nurses in the Weymouth office can make you feel rushed. As long as you advocate for yourself and don't mind repeating info to them, they get the job done!
Strengths- they always got right back to me with answers to my questions and/or with next steps. They would listen to me if I advocate for myself and seemed to respect that. Blood and ultrasound was fast and efficient Weakness- often times conversations would be rushed and overwhelming. They never seemed to know my history. The hospital staff in Boston was always caring and did not seem rushed!
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Ginsburg knows her stuff! For that reason alone I would recommend her. She will tell you how it is, explain whatever you need explaining. She is very professional and won't sugar coat news. I needed that because I knew I could trust her. She always had a plan for me and our visits were productive. She advocated for me with my insurance company and listened to my concerns. I never felt pressured into trying medication or doing the next step. I cannot say enough positive things about her!!!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Expect honest answers that are not sugar coated.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Ginsburg used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Leterzole- 3times, 3 different doses. This was supposed to get my body to ovulate. It failed Leterzole (7.5mg) with trigger shot. This made me ovulate but no successful pregnancy IUI- we did not do this because once on injectable medication my response could not be controlled. I would produce more than a few eggs even on a small dose based on my AMH level (15). iVF- we used various injectable medication. I had an egg retrieval that got 28 mature eggs. 16 lasted to day 5. However I had to freeze all because even with my modified trigger shot, I developed a slight case of hyper stimulation. Frozen Egg Transfer- after pills and pio shots, we had a successful transfer. I am currently pregnant from this procedure.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I paid whatever was not covered by insurance. Billing was through an app or in office. It was easy to pay but difficult to understand what you were excatly paying for
Describe Elizabeth Ginsburg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
My doctor prefer to do a SET for my safety. We agreed as that was what was covered by insurance and in our best interest.
South Shore
staff [at Brigham and Women's Hospital] along with him [Dr. Gargiulo] were so kind, wonderful, and accommodating from beginning to end. It was a successful procedure and I am pleased with the small and not very noticeable incisions...The clinic itself is a bit small and would run behind on appointments. Most of their staff was pleasant. The office space was a bit cramped but it was overall a great clinic. Location is a bit busy and parking was a bit challenging.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Gargiulo was very personable, kind, and empathetic of my situation. We spoke about my history and I was able to express my concerns surrounding infertility.Dr. Gargiulo is very knowledged and I believe he cares abut the patients outcome as well as their health.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I am a 27 year old female who lives in the DC area who was born with a unicornate uterus with a rudimentary horn. I was diagnosed when I was 22 while I was trying to get to the root of my painful cramps. I had an ectopic pregnancy when I was 23 and wanted to be proactive for future planning. My OB/GYN recommended I have a laparoscopy done to diagnose endometriosis and take a loser took at my abnormal uterus. We did extensive research in efforts to finds a specialist in the area but no luck and since my family lives in Massachusetts we began our search there. We came across a colleague of Dr. Gargiulo and after speaking to his colleague, sending my MRI, and medical records, he stated Dr. Gargiulo would be the best fit to assist. When I met Dr. Gargiulo he was very personable, kind, and empathetic of my situation. We spoke about my history and I was able to express my concerns surrounding infertility. He recommended getting a laparoscopy and removing the non communicating horn to prevent future ectopic pregnancies. He made me feel confident in trusting him for next steps. We scheduled a "Laparoscopic Excision of Right Rudimentary Uterine Horn, And Fallopian Tube". His staff along with him were so kind, wonderful, and accommodating from beginning to end. It was a successful procedure and I am pleased with the small and not very noticeable incisions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Have questions ready to ask.
Describe the protocols Antonio Gargiulo used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
We focused on preparing my uterus for fertility. I have not yet began attempting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
not sure
Boston
The doctors and nursing team [Brigham & Women's Hospital] have been extremely thorough, helpful, and informative. They have taken the time to explain all of our options to us and have considered our needs, wishes, and our future unlike other clinics have. The clerical staff can at times be short and was initially difficult to communicate with, but overall they have improved. This clinic seems to see fewer LGBTQ clients; likely due to the size of the state, so there has been some confusion at times.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The doctors and nursing team have been extremely thorough, helpful, and informative. They have taken the time to explain all of our options to us and have considered our needs, wishes, and our future unlike other clinics have. The clerical staff can at times be short and was initially difficult to communicate with, but overall they have improved. This clinic seems to see fewer LGBTQ clients; likely due to the size of the state, so there has been some confusion at times.
Dr. Ginsburg didn't just look at numbers, she thought about mine and my wife's future. She considered our wishes and worked with us despite some numbers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Carey)
She has been very helpful and informative. She has returned my calls promptly and reached out to Dr. Ginsburg with all of my follow-up questions.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg has been very considerate of our desires and our treatment. She has considered all factors, but also been willing to work around situations and numbers. She has explained information thoroughly, and has been available when we've had further questions. She has been open and flexible and has truly made us feel like she is working with us.
To be sure to ask a lot of questions and to be completely open.
We have not yet started our cycle, but we are doing a complicated reciprocal IVF. She had us meet with maternal fetal medicine due to us both being overweight. She tested both of us thoroughly to help us make the best decision as to who will undergo the egg retrieval and who will undergo the embryo transfer.
We have requested multiple embryo transfer. Here, we feel that we are slightly being treated like a number now, but there seems to be some flexibility and willingness to work with us there.
Boston
It's a large clinic [Brigham] but the doctors are amazing!!! ...Kathy this far has been excellent. However before I was assigned her I did not have a set nurse and that at times was frustrating since I did not have anyone dedicated to me. Once I felt like the nurse who called did not know what was going on and I had to call back to demand more answers. ..Efficient well oiled machine with sign in sheets and call backs
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
It's a large clinic but the doctors are amazing!!! Just remember to stay on top of them and the nurses and ask lots of questions until you are satisfied. Don't be intimidated by the size or credentials. Do your own research and come prepared.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Walsh always takes time for my husband and I. I write down a lot of questions and he always sits patiently and explains and answers all of them. Additionally, I recent had a miscarriage where Dr. Walsh performed the d and c. I'll never forget him holding my hand as I went under.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy Charbonnier)
Kathy this far has been excellent. However before I was assigned her I did not have a set nurse and that at times was frustrating since I did not have anyone dedicated to me. Once I felt like the nurse who called did not know what was going on and I had to call back to demand more answers. Thankfully someone else called back and addressed it
How was your experience with Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Walsh has been great. He is compassionate and attentive to my needs and questions. When things don't work out we have tried others and have done a plethora of tests to ensure all bases were covered (testing chromosomes, clotting factors, endometrial biopsy,etc after 2 CPs. Ensuring my miscarriage had pathology done, doing more tests. Creating a new plan for the next egg retrieval with PGS testing). The one negative would be that sometimes this information and appointments can be overwhelming and I felt like I had to decide to move forward quickly when maybe I'd want a cycle off. I also had my first egg retieval when Dr walsh nurse had retired and I was bounced around by nurses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Just to ensure you always are on top of meds and instructions. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Describe the protocols Brian Walsh used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
First we began testing. Hormone levels for me, hsg, and hysteroscopy. My husband had 2 sperm analysis done which showed male factor. My husband was also sent to a specialist. We tried clomid for 2 rounds as we were doing testing which did not work based on my husband's male factor issues. Due to mfi we were told ivf was our only option. Since I am borderline on fsh and amh the protocol was semi aggressive with 2 vials menopur and 150 iu follistim which was increased to 225. I stimmed for 13 days and had a duel trigger lupron and HCG. I had 16 eggs, 13 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI. We ended w 3 day 5 embryos of great quality. I did one fresh transfer w crinone that ended in a CP. We next did a natural FET without meds except for crinone support after transfer that also ended in a CP. We decided to try the last FET as a medicated cycle with 3 mg of estrace twice daily (6mg total) and once my lining got to 7mm we added progesterone a few days before the transfer and after. I had a positive beta HCG test 3 times and we set up an 8 wk ultrasound. Unfortunately there was no heartbeat and I had an enlarged placenta. Dr Walsh wanted to do a d and c to determine the cause and to check for a molar pregnancy ( I had high hcg). The results came back that it was NOT molar but the miscarriage was due to trisomy 18. We went into see Dr Walsh for a post on and we discussed next steps which was additional tests to determine any other reason for my 3 miscarriages and another hysteroscopy before we started IVF again. We also discussed PGS, genetic counseling, and higher doses to get more eggs for pgs testing. We will also freeze all day 5 embryos for ogs and do a medicated FET as I preferred the shots to crinone and I had the most successful pregnancy when we did the protocol medicated. I am currently waiting for my ultrasound to start stimulation for egg retrieval. My doses are going up to 3 vials of menopur and 225 iu of gonal f ( and we will bump up to 4 and 300 iu)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Efficient well oiled machine with sign in sheets and call backs
Describe Brian Walsh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr Walsh follows SART recommendations and I only have had a single embryo transferred based on quality and age.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
The office [Brigham - Bos] was very responsive to emails and calls. My primary nurse was very good....The ultrasounds monitoring appointment were started before 7am. It is first come, first served and operated pretty efficiently....Brigham and Women's is a large hospital. The hours for the labs and ultrasounds were very accommodating. The parking lot across the street is reasonable, and it's also close to the T. You will often find out lab results through their patient portal hours after the tests and before they call you.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
The office was very responsive to emails and calls. My primary nurse was very good.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Hornstein's primary nurse, Barbara, is awesome! She was very responsive by email and phone.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Hornstein very patiently answered our many questions when we met with him in person. He always treated us with kindness and care. His nurse answers most of the day to day questions by email or phone .
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Make sure you know your treatment plan and know what the next steps are. The doctors and nurses at B&W are all good at their specific roles, but the communication between them can sometimes be missing. Because Dr. Hornstein may not be actually doing your procedure, make sure you have really discussed and agreed on important things like numbers of eggs to transfer before you get to the implantation day.
Describe the protocols Mark Hornstein used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Two rounds of Antagonist protocol. The second round was far more aggressive than the first and produced three times as many eggs and embryos.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Some was covered by insurance. It's around $8K - $12K out of pocket per IVF cycle depending on your treatment plan. That does not include meds.
Describe Mark Hornstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
He helped us make an informed decision based on risk and insurance coverage.
Boston
The front desk staff [Brigham & Women's Hospital] are kind and knowledgeable. I had an amazing experience when I went for my first IUI. The medical assistant who checked me in was really nice; she allowed me to be a part of the whole process, and even explained what she was doing along the way. At the end she allowed me and friends view the sperm under the microscope! Very cool!... I paid a little over 200 before the procedure, which was the fee for the doctor. The remained was billed to me- I think around 500 dollars.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The front desk staff are kind and knowledgeable. I had an amazing experience when I went for my first IUI. The medical assistant who checked me in was really nice; she allowed me to be a part of the whole process, and even explained what she was doing along the way. At the end she allowed me and friends view the sperm under the microscope! Very cool!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She has always been warm and kind. She takes the time to explain everything and it’s easy to get an appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy C. )
Kathy has been helpful and easy to get a hold of- she always responds promptly to my messages.
How was your experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Yanushpolsky has been awesome so far. She’s thorough, kind, and compassionate. She reassures me and doesn’t mind to take the time to answer all of my questions. She listens to me and plans my treatment accordingly. As a single woman trying to have a baby, it’s easy to lean toward judgement but Dr. Yanushpolsky didn’t seem to mind; she was just as glad to help me. I found the idea of going to an RE intimidating and still do but Dr. Yanushpolsky makes it less stressful. I don’t have any complaints yet but I’ll be sure to update you if things change.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Yanushpolsky is upbeat and tends to move fast- don’t be afraid to ask questions! She’s happy to answer them.
Describe the protocols Elena Yanushpolsky used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Dr. Yanushpolsky and I decided to do four rounds of natural IUI. She explained that because of my age (27) and the results of my blood work/HSG we would try without medication and follow up if I wasn’t pregnant after four cycles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Boston
[The nurses at Brigham & Women's Hospital] were kind and supportive, much more emotionally present than the doctors. My one frustration is their contact/communication system which is to call and leave them a message and then you have to wait for a call back and you never know when that is coming. I feel like it would be so much easier to have an online message system - both for the nurses and patients.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The clinic is top-rated and I truly believe they are really on top of current research/knowledge etc. I have frustrations that you can't do embryo donation, but that is a Massachusetts thing and not a clinic thing. You do feel a bit like a cog in a machine at times, but that is because they are so successful that they attract so many patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby is great - she has been through IVF herself so she is understanding as to what the experience is like. She also has been clear about procedures and expectations.
I feel like I know the nursing staff much better than the doctor team at this point because they are the ones you interact with every time you come in for blood testing or ultrasounds, etc. They were kind and supportive, much more emotionally present than the doctors. My one frustration is their contact/communication system which is to call and leave them a message and then you have to wait for a call back and you never know when that is coming. I feel like it would be so much easier to have an online message system - both for the nurses and patients.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby is fantastic - just because I have not yet gotten pregnant, I do not blame her. She is very knowledgeable and will even call you on the phone if the wait to see her is too long. She works with a team which has its plusses and minuses. They brainstorm together which helps to come up with a good plan and they can compare experiences against a lot of other patients. It does sometimes feel weird, though, when you go in and have a different doctor do your transfer or retrieval. But I honestly don't mind, because I believe their team to be one of the best around.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I wish she could be more available to each patient, but I also know that she has a ton of patients.
Describe the protocols Rachel Ashby used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
My first two retrievals we started medicine mid-cycle (so I waited until I ovulated and then we started a few days after that.) I apologize as I don't remember the names for all of these treatment strategies. The first cycle didn't produce as many eggs as the second, but neither was successful. I did not get a positive pregnancy test from either. For the third cycle, Dr. Ashby said she wanted to be more aggressive so we started medicine right after my period began. On that cycle, I produced 16 eggs which is great for someone my egg and we fertilized 13. Of those, there were 4 5-day blast embryos. I transferred two in a fresh cycle and then two in a frozen cycle. Again, I did not get positive pregnancy tests from either of those cycles, but I felt like we were headed in the right direction.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I have insurance coverage for the IVF cycles but I still had to make a copay of about $2,000. And the first cycle my pharmacy costs were around $900, but after that they were free.
Describe Rachel Ashby's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Because of my age, I was allowed to transfer multiple embryos. The risks were made clear to me, but also the fact that it was unlikely they would all work, so I was happy to give that a try.
Newton
1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
The billing coordinator [at Brigham & Women's], Gene Diaz, has made herself very available for questions and has broken down the costs to me in great detail both over the phone and email. She emails me back very quickly and provides much detail for each one of the fees I will eventually need to pay for surrogacy...So far I am yet to encounter any weaknesses... They are extremely accommodating and very inviting. From the front desk staff, to the coordinators, to the doctors. Everyone I have met at the clinic has been wonderful. They stay open late one day a week to help accommodate work schedules.
1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Strengths: They are extremely accommodating and very inviting. From the front desk staff, to the coordinators, to the doctors. Everyone I have met at the clinic has been wonderful. They stay open late one day a week to help accommodate work schedules. They think outside the box and present different treatment options and scenarios to you regarding fertility and parenthood. They are easy to get in touch with over the phone and via email. I have never had any billing issues with the clinic and they accept most insurances. I have actually referred a friend to their clinic. Weaknesses: So far I am yet to encounter any weaknesses. One thing that would definitely be a great additional would be a grant program/scholarship for their patients to help pay for the surrogacy costs.
Dr. Ginsburg is absolutely wonderful. She is very responsive to emails and goes above and beyond to make sure her patients needs are being addressed. She has seen me at 2 different clinics and has always called/emailed me back right away. She never makes me feel rushed when meeting with her and answers all of my questions/concerns at length. She assured me everything was going to be OK and that she would work with me and my fertility needs when I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 25. I am so thankful to have her as a provider and I feel as though I could not be in better hands. Dr. Ginsburg and the entire staff at Brigham and Women have been tremendous. I am 100% confident in her care and strongly believe she will help make my dreams of becoming a mom a reality.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ruhe)
Allison is simply exceptional. We have been in constant contact for about a year now. We email weekly and she answers in great detail every and any questions I have. She has talked to numerous potential surrogates of ours and has included as in all aspects of surrogacy process. She always makes sure I completely understand everything she is telling me. She will email me detailed information and also call me with updates when we had potential surrogates. She has helped me fill out about 10 applications for fertility grants and continues to support us in any way that she can.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg is a very intelligent, calm, confident, and compassionate doctor. She has made me and my fiance more than comfortable and confident that we will be able to become parents via gestational surrogacy. She has walked and talked us through the necessary steps towards gestational surrogacy and has explained everything in great detail. She takes her time when meeting with us and genuinely cares about the success of our future embryo transfer. She has given us hope after cancer took our opportunity to become parents naturally. We met Dr. Ginsburg during a very difficult time in our lives and she gave us the hope that we so desperately needed back in 2015. Having a family of our own is the single most important thing in the world to my fiance and I and Dr. Ginsburg demonstrates that she cares about the success of the embryo transfer just as much as we do. Examples of her compassion: She has helped me fill out fertility grant applications immediately after I emailed her asking if she had time to do so. She made me feel important and hopeful. She recommended different grants/financial assistance options to help pay for fertility preservation costs. She was very easy to get a hold of when I had questions during my IVF cycle regarding medication. She made quick adjustments to a similar medication when my insurance did not cover a specific medication during IVF. She suggested testing my ovarian reserve level every 6 months to help me feel more involved and aware of the changes my body was going through and would email me my lab results as soon as they became available. She remembered little details I would tell her at past appointments about my family and hobbies/social life, she paid great attention to details. She makes me feel like part of the treatment time and keeps me hopeful through her kind/warm personality. She has more than 1 clinic location and has flexible hours making her very easy to get in touch with.
Dr. Ginsburg will explore every aspect of your fertility needs and if there is a way to help you start a family she will most definitely find it.
Dr. Ginsburg had me do 1 cycle of IVF while on tamoxifen (due to stage 3 estrogen positive cancer) back in 2015. My treatment plan consisted of injections and pills. Together, we discussed the options for eggs and embryos and the pros and cons of each. She helped me decided how many I was going to create embryos with. We froze 4 eggs and 4 embryos (originally had 6 embryos but 2 did not make it). She explained that the embryos would be frozen on day 3 to get "as money in the freezer as possible". Her plan is to transfer 2 embryos to a gestational surrogate as each embryo has a 40% chance of success. Her strategy to transfer 2 lines up with our goals, financial needs, and of course safety concerns. She explained everything in great detail.
There was a high volume of patients waiting for ultra sounds during my IVF cycle but I was never waiting for a long period of time. They were open 7 days a week and I was always seen when I needed to be. The results were always available online within a couple hours and my clinic would always call me as soon as they got results. They were very on top of my care during my IVF cycle.
My IVF cycle was covered in full by my insurance. I did have to pay about $500 out of pocket for medications. My estimated hospital costs for gestational surrogacy services were quoted at 10K. The billing coordinator, Gene Diaz, has made herself very available for questions and has broken down the costs to me in great detail both over the phone and email. She emails me back very quickly and provides much detail for each one of the fees I will eventually need to pay for surrogacy.
We prefer to transfer 2 embryos to increase of chance of success on the first transfer. She was completely on board with this decision and also agreed that it was for the best. She assured us this choice is safe and is confident it will result in a live birth.
Boston
[The nurses at Brigham & Women's Hospital were] Extremely knowledgeable and very quickly responsive!...the nurses not specifying the draw or catching the result as an incorrect one resulted in me going to get a varicella booster that delayed my treatment cycle by a month. I discovered the error a couple of days after the shot through my own research. I didn’t feel that the clinic was especially apologetic or owned up to this mistake and their role in it.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I did have one snafu despite very compassionate care... my lab request for varicella titer did not specify which type of draw; written by a nurse and stamped with doctors signature. The lab made a mistake in just choosing which one to draw (one for active infection and not immunity, which I likely have after having chicken pox as a child.) The lab I had my blood drawn at had a big role, but the nurses not specifying the draw or catching the result as an incorrect one resulted in me going to get a varicella booster that delayed my treatment cycle by a month. I discovered the error a couple of days after the shot through my own research. I didn’t feel that the clinic was especially apologetic or owned up to this mistake and their role in it.
She was very excited for our success and answered all questions thoroughly.
Extremely knowledgeable and very quickly responsive!
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Extremely knowledgeable with regard to the latest research. Answered all questions thoroughly and knew what gaps to fill in on our testing before starting treatment. Came highly recommended from a friend and lived up to what we had heard!
Have all of your questions written down in advance and don’t be afraid to ask them all.
We used Letrozole with timed intercourse followed by progesterone supplementation. I had a blighted ovum with my first pregnancy and have PCOS. I am now 15 weeks pregnant from our first cycle on that protocol.
Minimal on Letrozole cycle... two ultrasounds, consult, follow up, and meds.
Stratham
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
[Brigham - Bos] Holly, is AWESOME. I just liked her style when giving results/instructions. She is upbeat but compassionate. My first interaction with her was when my genetic carrier testing came back positive for a fatal disease and she presented that perfectly...Monitoring is very early in the morning, and they seem to require more monitoring appointments per cycle than a lot of places...The ultrasound and lab techs are very nice.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think most of the information is provided in my other responses. It's such a mixed bag. Really just don't expect a lot of information sharing-- you won't know why the doctors make the decisions they do and you won't get any process information ahead of time, even big picture stuff that seems like it can be reasonably estimated. If you want any sort individualized treatment I don't think this is the right place. Also, from my internet research it seems like I am far from the first patient they have dropped, so I think it's something you have to be prepared for (I was not). While some people are wonderful, others can be defensive, condescending, or even flat out insulting.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She did not take my individual medical history/concerns about side effects into account at all. She tried one protocol and then a more aggressive one and then pretty much gave up. The practice at BWH seems to have a real culture of not providing a lot of information, medical or process-wise. Dr. Srouji was always very late for appointments--at least 30-45 minutes--even first thing in the morning. I always felt very rushed when in appointments with her and always came out not sure of next steps and with more questions than when I went in.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
The primary nurse who works with Dr. Srouji, Holly, is AWESOME. I just liked her style when giving results/instructions. She is upbeat but compassionate. My first interaction with her was when my genetic carrier testing came back positive for a fatal disease and she presented that perfectly. She also went WAY above and beyond to help us deal with CVS/Caremark, the most evil prescription drug plan provider imaginable. Unfortunately, some of the other nurses we dealt with when Holly was out were not as helpful at all. When I asked Barbara what happens after the cycle if I don't get pregnant (a medical question and a process question) she said, "we don't like to think about that" and wouldn't go any further. Nurse Marie told me they can't give patients all the information because "most people can't handle it." When I tried to get process information and was getting frustrated that she wouldn't provide it, she said, "I know you're upset because you always imagined you'd be a parent and now it might not happen..." um, no, I'm upset because you won't tell me what I have to do next. The other nurses I spoke with (Tricia and Amanda) seemed nice and helpful.
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
It is very important to understand upfront that the doctors work as a team at BWH, which means the doctor you see primarily and discuss your treatment with is NOT the one making decisions as you go through your cycle, and will most likely not be the one doing your egg retrieval, transfer, HSG testing, uterus mapping, etc. I did not realize this until after my second cycle, which would have explained so much if I had known. As such, it's kind of hard to rate any doctor on their medical decisions. I had a very mixed experience with Dr. Srouji. At times she seemed to be on our side, at others she almost seemed mad at us. I was probably not the typical patient-- I didn't go in assuming we would be doing IVF--and that seemed to frustrate her. At age 39 I was sort of clueless about the fertility process and just went because my regular doctor told me to "get checked out" after six months of trying to conceive. The assumption, however, was that you are there to sign up for IVF no matter what, and she seemed really confused about how to handle the fact that I didn't know if I was willing to go that far. She waffled on a few things-- at first she said male factor was such an issue nothing short of ICIS would work, then after my husband had a second test she said it was in the normal range and trying IUI first sounded like a great plan, then when the sperm count was low with the IUI she was almost angry with me and said the sperm count was always low and she only supported trying IUI because she knew I didn't want IVF. One of my biggest complaints is that she really didn't address--or seem to understand--my underlying medical concerns--I have been dealing with PCOS/PMDD/general endocrine issues and rough periods my whole life and wasn't sure how medications would affect me. I did have some REALLY bad side effects from both Clomid and the IVF meds that she neither warned me about, nor seemed to care about when I reported them. I think some mistakes were made during my second cycle but I will never know for sure because she abruptly dropped me as a patient. I don't know if it was Dr. Srouji's fault per se, but overall I would characterize working with BWH as traumatizing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
If you are not too interested in the details or any sort of individualized care, this might be a better experience (I felt that way at first until things started getting complicated and confusing and I seemed to have more questions the more I learned). It might also be better if you are an IVF veteran and already know the basics.
Describe the protocols Serene Srouji used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
At 39 and 1/2, my AMH was 2.0 and FSH was something like 5.5, but my husband's sperm count and motility was low. So low, in fact, she said nothing short of ICIS would work (long story, but we did try IUI with Clomid first). My first IVF was lower dose antagonist (gonal-f, cetrotide, HCG trigger). Afterward she said my egg maturity rate (6/11) and my estrogen on trigger day (525) were much lower than she'd expect with my numbers so we had to go to an aggressive lupron microflare cycle (lupron, menapur, gonal-f, HCG trigger). My estrogen was MUCH higher (3260), and I had 14 follicles on trigger day, but only 8 eggs were retrieved and only one embryo was frozen on day 1. The embryo had to be frozen because my progesterone was extremely high during stimulation. She said I clearly have "an egg problem" but dropped me as a patient at the same time, so I don't have anymore information than that to work with going forward.
Monitoring is very early in the morning, and they seem to require more monitoring appointments per cycle than a lot of places. It's ok once you get used to it but at the beginning it was super stressful. Leave PLENTY of time in the morning for Boston traffic, parking, etc. The ultrasound and lab techs are very nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
It's MA and I have BCBS, so I only paid 10% plus copays for medications (~$200).
Describe Serene Srouji's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
BWH uses an algorithm to determine the number of embryos to transfer-- you can choose to have fewer transferred but not more than they recommend.
Boston
I never had issues in getting appointments set up when needed [at Brigham & Women's Hospital]. They are willing to work with your cycles so you are not feeling like you are wasting months waiting. When you have IVF procedures you will see whichever Dr. Is scheduled that day so it may not be your own...Holly was our initial nurse and was always efficient in delivering results to us. Kelley took over and became our nurse while we did our IVF cycle. She was excellent in returning emails throughout the process. She acted as a good middleman for us and Dr. Anchan between appointments. I only had one miscommunication that had no effect on our cycle success.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I never had issues in getting appointments set up when needed. They are willing to work with your cycles so you are not feeling like you are wasting months waiting. When you have IVF procedures you will see whichever Dr. Is scheduled that day so it may not be your own. This never bothered me but something some might consider.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Anchan was very personable with my husband and I. He always remembered facts about our life that were not fertility related. This made us comfortable that he pays attention and sets us apart from everyone else. We always fekt heard and he was very patient with answering questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Holly and Kelley)
How was your experience with Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Anchan was very patient with us and let us take our time with our treatment course. I was very much into taking steps slowly and progressing through each step at my own pace. He was wonderful in allowing this, I always felt like my feelings were taking into consideration and he was always able to provide steps I was comfortable with. He was amazing at explaining each step, medication, hormone and included diagrams when needed. He was always straight forward about our chances and possible success rates. I never felt blind sided at all through the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Trust the journey and Dr. Anchan. He has your best interest in mind and the same end goal as you.
Describe the protocols Raymond Anchan used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
I was not ready to jump to the big guns right away do we did a few letrozole cycles with timed intercourse. We stepped up to letrozole with IUI a few months in. When I was finally ready to accept IVF we did a antagonist cycle due to my higher AMH. The cycle was textbook and we had a high fertilization report and many embryos. We did use ICSI for the likelihood of having the most possible.
Monitoring is done first thing in the morning at a first come first serve basis. On weekends it is a scheduled time slot. I never waited more than an hour before I was out and onto the rest of my day. The techs were hit or miss with friendliness and gentleness but the phlebotomists were very pleasant. Even though this is a hospital setting they brought a phlebotomist to the ultrasound department which is very convenient.
Describe Raymond Anchan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The council we received in deciding how many to transfer included statistics and their reasoning. Both transfers we were able to explain our reasoning as well and it was always respected. Since I had a highly graded embryo we chose one for the first transfer. Our second transfer we were able to transfer 2 since we at that point had a unsuccessful transfer.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Brigham was usually fairly timely calling with changes to medicine, but after my retrieval, I never got a call about day 3 or day 5 embryos and then how many were sent for PGS...I loved Barbara! Brigham is incredibly busy but Barbara always took the time to answer all of my questions. I did find that if Barbara was out or if treatment occurred over a weekend, the covering nurse was often not as familiar with my case.
Investor
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Brigham is incredibly large and busy and if you want a personalized, hand-holding approach, Brigham is not the place to go. All of your ultrasounds are done by techs and you wait for the nurse to call with orders to adjust for the next day. Also, your doctor is often not the one who is available for your retrieval and transfer so you must be comfortable with a group practice and residents. One interesting thing to note is that OB admitting is at the front of the hospital and you will walk through that on your way to the clinic or for ultrasounds.
Dr. Hornstein is incredibly busy but he always took the time to answer our questions and we had a lot! He holds one late night clinic each week and we were the last patient that day. He stayed with us for over an hour until 10 pm to make sure we had all of our questions answered and could develop a treatment plan for an IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Barbara)
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I first saw Dr. Hornstein at the recommendation of a good friend who had seen him for years to manage her endometriosis. I had previously been seen by his partner, but I wanted a doctor who could do both the surgery for the endometriosis and oversee fertility treatments. Dr. Hornstein was very thorough with our initial work up and let us take our time before going to IVF. Dr. Hornstein presented all of the option and let us decide. We wanted to do PGS testing and even though Brigham doesn't recommend it, Dr. Hornstein was understanding.
Dr. Hornstein is incredibly busy and a lot of your care will be done by the nurses/fellows/other REs. If something urgent came up, Dr. Hornstein would call.
4 cycles of clomid - 3 IUIs (one was cancelled) Agonist protocol that was a freeze-all cycle for PGS and to prevent OHSS. Relatively low doses of stims (Follistim - 112.5) and Cetrocide. I used a dual Lupron and HCG trigger.
Monitoring hours during the week were from 6:45-7:45 and by appointment on the weekends. Even when it was crowded, they moved fairly quickly. The results of the bloodwork were available on Patient Gateway within a few hours and you would usually get a phone call that afternoon from the nurse.
In Massachusetts, most fertility treatments are covered by insurance with co-pays. We did pay out of pocket for a few elective things - freezing samples, ICSI and PGS but all told it was under $10k.
Boston
Nothing runs on time and it's very difficult to get someone to pick up a phone [at Brigham & Women's Hospital]. You often are on hold for a while or &gt; 5 hours (or a day) will pass before a returned call. "Customer service" is lacking but the medical care is great. The receptionists are very nice and act like they remember me, which is well received.... I have had a few instances where the nurse hasn't called with results and I have had to reach out hours after I have seen the results posted to the hositpal website. It's not always clear what procedure you are expected to follow for the bloodwork and u/s, especially the first time. Overall, the clinic lacks customer service. It definitely runs like a hospital not like a for profit enterprise holding your hand every step of the way.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Nothing runs on time and it's very difficult to get someone to pick up a phone. You often are on hold for a while or &gt; 5 hours (or a day) will pass before a returned call. "Customer service" is lacking but the medical care is great. The receptionists are very nice and act like they remember me, which is well received.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She is very personable and we were able to establish a personal connection quickly. While she states the facts (which are hard to hear), she acknowledges that it's a hard message and I feel like she feels bad when we don't have a successful outcome even though our chances are low.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Sandy Vance mainly and many others)
It's sometimes hard to get in touch with the team which can be frustrating. As I have been interacting with the nursing team for a while now, I know each of the personalities better. They are all very compassionate and try to share in your excitement or sadness.
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I really like Dr. Fox personally and she was very candid on the statistics for success as well as other options. She won't actively put herself in our position and say what "she" would do which I sometimes want her to do, I understand these are very personal decisions and she tries to give us all of the information we need to make the decisions. She is very sensitive to our individual situation and it feels like she is personally committed to us becoming pregnant and having a successful pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She doesn't sugar coat but she's very smart and experienced. She'll answer anything you ask, just make sure you ask! It's sometimes hard to get a hold of her outside of normal appointments and she often runs behind so our appointments didn't run on time.
Describe the protocols Janis Fox used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
I did 2 patch protocol cycles and 1 micro dose Lipton cycle. I am currently doing my 3rd patch protocol. In both protocols, I was on the highest dose of medication (4 menopur in the morning) and 300 of final-f in the evening. This was because my test results showed a diminished ovarian reserve. The first cycle we had 7 follicles, 5 eggs retrieved and fertilized and all transferred. The 2nd cycle we had 7 eggs retrieved 2 fertilized and both transferred. The 3rd cycle took much longer for stimulation (30 days Vs 12-14 for the first two) and resulted in 3 eggs, 1 fertilized and 1 transferred. All were a negative result. This current cycle Dr Fox and team decided to give us one last chance on the patch protocol since my stimulation was materially better. We are self-pay and while a significant burden we were willing to spend the money on a 4 th cycle before deciding potentially to do egg donation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
11k
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Nancy, and the entire nursing staff [at Brigham & Women's] are amazing. They were great at explaining the whole process as we were going through it. They always called me back when I left messages with tons of questions. They also helped me deal with a lot of back and forth insurance issues...My insurance covered 90% so we paid $1,000 up front for each round that we started. And then a few additional costs I think.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
When my husband and I met with Dr. Ashby, she did not just spit out numbers and facts, she explained this and also asked how we were doing during our treatment. She also walked us through each failed cycle to explain what happened and what we would do differently for future cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Nancy, and the entire nursing staff are amazing. They were great at explaining the whole process as we were going through it. They always called me back when I left messages with tons of questions. They also helped me deal with a lot of back and forth insurance issues.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
As a patient, I've had a good experience with Dr. Ashby, despite not being pregnant yet. She doesn't just spit out what we need to do, but talks to us and asks how we are doing during this whole process.
Ask lots of questions - don't be afraid.
Round 1 (birth control pills at beginning, started on follistim injections, then cetrotide injections and follistim injections. Post retrieval/transfer used crinone gel, medrol, estradiol) Round 2 (started on patch, then cetrotidge injections, then once I got my period again, I started on follistim and menipur injections, then added cetrotide injections. Post retrieval/transfer used crinone gel, medrol, estradiol) Round 3 Frozen (birth control pills at beginning, then estradiol, progesterone injections. Post transfer continued on progesterone injections and estradiol) Round 4 (lupron injections, then added follistim injections and then menipur injections. No fertilized eggs)
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
They [Brigham - Boston] always ran on time. I was always treated with respect. I always received prompt emails/test results/call backs after leaving messages...Alison was my primary nurse when going through the donor egg process and she was OK. She wasn't the best I've ever dealt with. There were a few tests that she didn't tell me about that I needed. At the end of the day, she was fine, but I remember feeling frustrated at times dealing with her. there were a few tests/shots that she didn't tell me about which almost caused a set back with my embryo transfer.
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
They always ran on time. I was always treated with respect. I always received prompt emails/test results/call backs after leaving messages.
I always felt as if Dr. Ashby had my best interest at heart. Her end goal is to ensure you have a healthy baby no matter how you get there. She was relatable in the sense that she had her own fertility struggles and explained what she went through to have children. She always explained things in a digestable way and always made time to answer as many questions as my husband and I had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Alison)
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby always treated me like a friend. She was open, compassionate and really took her time to explain my diagnosis and how we were going to move forward with a plan. I had 3 egg retrievals and 0 embryos from all 3 combined. I have Diminished Ovarian Reserve and outlook was looking bleak. She had the difficult conversation with me and my husband about exploring other options like donor eggs or adoption. This was very upseting to us but she gave us examples of couples she had treated in the past who were successful with donor eggs. She never made me feel bad about my diagnosis and was always very positive and said that we will have a baby one day and she was going to help us get there one way or another. She had a gentle bedside manner but at the same time was always very candid with the reality of our situation. She never forced us to move forward with donor eggs. She explained she would continue to treat us and try another protocol but after 3 failed cycles, it wasn't looking good. She also recommended a 2nd opinion just so we could feel good about our decision moving forward.
Trust her advice and opinions. She isn't super clinical but still explains the clinical side of fertility treatments. Ask lots of questions.
I don't remember the exact treatment plan but considering I have diminished ovarian reserve (at 35), I went through 3 very aggressive treatments.
They were pretty efficient for the most part.
My insurance covered the majority of the meds and procedure costs. I was lucky.
She has a strong preference for one embryo transfer. Her end goal is healthy mom and healthy baby.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Be prepared to wait [at Brigham & Women's Hospital], and there will often be children in the ultrasound waiting room, especially on weekends. The clinic itself is often running behind schedule, but they are good at letting you know where you are in line...I do feel that his nurse at the time was a weak link in the process. There were some communication issues there, but I soon figured out how best to work with her. I would not let the nursing staff dissuade me from using this doctor.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
You have a choice of where to do your monitoring if you can't come into Boston, but it's still a time consuming process. I often did monitoring in Foxborough and once at Chestnut Hill. The wait times for monitoring can be very long at BWH Boston. Be prepared to wait, and there will often be children in the ultrasound waiting room, especially on weekends. The clinic itself is often running behind schedule, but they are good at letting you know where you are in line. You really could do so much worse than BWH, though. And living in Central MA I have.
Dr. Hornstein always took the time I needed even when his schedule was booked, and always answered every question. Pelvic exams are difficult for me due to physical disability, and I have had previous terrible experiences with gynecologists as a result. He is the most accommodating doctor I have ever seen in a specialty unrelated to my disability. I continue to see him for endometriosis management.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Hornstein is an excellent communicator. He seems aware of the power differential between patient and doctor, and actively mitigates it during consultation by listening actively within the time constraints of the visit. By the time I became his patient, it was clear that I likely had endometriosis that previous doctors failed to take seriously as a reason for both my infertility and severe pain. My goals closely aligned with his, which likely made him a good fit for my case (single embryo transfer, plenty of cool down time between failed transfers, aggressive pain management of my endometriosis during the process). I came to him in crisis and feeling hopeless. He validated all of my anger and frustration, and my sens that "something just wasn't right." He had me in the OR within 6 weeks to remove endometriosis and we were on to infertility treatment from there, quickly moving to IVF. His approach is wholly evidence-based, which I appreciated greatly. Dr. Hornstein never did any of my infertility procedures because you get who is on the schedule. But there was never a moment that he wasn't up to speed on my care. I had a lot of setbacks: return of endometriosis, two canceled transfers, two failed cycles, some complications post second retrieval. It was a long road from the start of my care to the MFM hand off once I finally got pregnant (2 years, 4 months), but there was never a moment where I doubted his clinical judgement. I have no regrets about choosing him, and would feel the same way had I not ultimately been successful (my husband agrees). I hesitate to write this because it may identify who I am as a patient, but it's very important. As a woman with a significant physical disability, Dr. Hornstein never once questioned my ability to be a mom. Other doctors had, in ways that were unfounded and not evidence-based. He cared about my disability when it was relevant, and didn't when it wasn't. It's hard to put into words how refreshing that is, as OB/GYN care is particularly challenging due to my disability. He always took the extra time needed for pelvic exams and procedures (HSG, SIS), and collaborated with my physician who cared for my disabling condition when necessary. I would not hesitate to recommend him to any woman with a mobility-limiting disability.
Come in with your questions ready, trust his judgement, be patient with the process.
I do not remember specifics, but I do remember his approach changed with each failed cycle or canceled transfer. We were constantly balancing increased endometriosis pain while during ovarian stimulation. So his approach to stimming was a bit conservative with me. However, we were very much in alignment, going for quality over quantity. I stimmed with GonalF for my first retrieval and got quite a few low quality embryos. He adjusted the approach for the second retrieval, adding in Menopur, resulting in better quality embryos, and my pregnancy.
Very busy at BWH Boston on the weekends. There will be children in the waiting room, so prepare yourself if that is a concern. I did weekday monitoring at Foxborough, and once at Chestnut Hill. Foxborough was, for the most part, a well-oiled machine. But, factor in time for traffic if you are taking 495. The courier service that picks up the blood for analysis at the main hospital is always on time and if you miss the window you are out of luck. No exceptions. As a patient driving in from central MA I often had to just judge by traffic whether I could beat the courier at Foxborough or if I just needed to drive into Boston.
We have a state mandate in Massachusetts that requires private insurance to cover a maximum of six fresh cycles of IVF. IUIs, drugs, and infertility testing are also covered. My daughter is a $200k kid. I paid, maybe $2,000 of that once you figure in copays for office visits, surgery and meds. If you don't live in Massachusetts, my advice is to get here now. No one should have to go broke to have a kid. You're supposed to go broke after you have the kid. ;-)
I opted for elective single embryo transfer because of my physical disability. We were in agreement about that. As the process dragged on and treatment wore me down, at one point I suggested trying two. He was gentle in his reminders of why I chose eSET and I agreed. I did not push back on this.
Boston
Overall, I can attest that this clinic [Brigham and Womens at Newton-Wellesley] does a fabulous job at fast-tracking your route to pregnancy, customizing the strategy to you and your individual circumstances, physically and financially...As time went on and I visited the office more frequently, I will say the nurses and staff were incredibly personable. My 8-week pregnancy ultrasound was an incredibly warm-feeling experience, with the ultrasound tech, nurse practitioner, and a medical student very attentive and invested. When we discovered a second baby in the ultrasound, I asked if they could bring in my mother-in-law and son from the waiting room, and they happily obliged.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Overall, I can attest that this clinic does a fabulous job at fast-tracking your route to pregnancy, customizing the strategy to you and your individual circumstances, physically and financially.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I felt like a human in that during the initial visit, each person on the doctor's team, including himself, was very polite with me, reassuring, thoroughly explained the medications and procedures. Simultaneously, I felt like a number in that the intake nurse really didn't care to know about my prior acupuncture treatment or lifestyle changes. The clinic also, although being a well-oiled and perhaps efficient machine, divvies up so many parts of the process that in the initial intake appointment, you end up seeing 5 individual professionals, making you feel like you are in a factory. As time went on and I visited the office more frequently, I will say the nurses and staff were incredibly personable. My 8-week pregnancy ultrasound was an incredibly warm-feeling experience, with the ultrasound tech, nurse practitioner, and a medical student very attentive and invested. When we discovered a second baby in the ultrasound, I asked if they could bring in my mother-in-law and son from the waiting room, and they happily obliged.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: NP Jennie Mastroianni)
I really loved the nurse practitioner, Jennie. She, along with the friendly, sweet nurses who always made sure to give my son (who accompanied me to many blood draws) plentiful stickers and attention, made my experience at the clinic very warm.
How was your experience with Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Isaacson seems like a very straight shooter and very experienced in the fertility world. I get the sense he has seen a great array of patients and has gained some wisdom re: what is the best course of action per each patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I did not receive an infertility diagnosis that was complex in any way -- Dr. Isaacson told me that likely I was just not ovulating. As a result, my treatment was simple (prescribed Clomid) and as I got pregnant after the second cycle, I only ever saw Dr. Isaacson once during the initial visit. I saw the nurse practitioner much more frequently (and I will say I very much liked her). So unless you have some more complex things going on and require more advanced treatment, don't expect to interface with Dr. Isaacson that much.
Describe the protocols Keith Isaacson used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
I was prescribed Clomid with a plan of trying it for 4 cycles given my previous successful (naturally conceived) pregnancy, age, symptoms etc. I very much appreciated the practice's respect for my limited insurance coverage, and that also informed our course of action -- not starting out with too many potentially unnecessary procedures, but being willing to do those if time proved it necessary. One of the procedures we were going to wait on was the HSG procedure that makes sure there is no tubal blockage. I ended up requesting this procedure after the first round of Clomid failed just for my own peace of mind, even though the clinic did not urge me to have this done early on. They performed the procedure at my request, and my tubes showed to be open. There is anecdotal evidence that the procedure can sometimes prove to be therapeutic and the fluid pushing through the tubes may open small blockages. I don't know for sure whether or not this was the case for me, or if I just needed to try Clomid for one more cycle, but I got pregnant with twins after taking my second round of Clomid. I am now 11 weeks pregnant and have been discharged from the clinic to my regular OBGYN. I will say that twins do not run in my family, and I am positive the Clomid stimulated my ovaries such that they produced two eggs. I am incredibly excited to have twins, although people who are wary of twins for either financial or physical reasons should know that Clomid does slightly increase your chances of conceiving multiples. On Clomid, I had painful cramps and bloating during ovulation, and I took this as a sign that it affected me perhaps more than most people, overstimulating my ovaries. Again, my outcome was an incredibly happy one for my family -- but I realize multiples might not be ideal for everyone.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Insurance covered the majority of our care costs. Probably my biggest expense was my copayment for the HSG procedure, which I requested out of personal interest v. recommendation.
Newton
Most of the doctors and nurses [at Brigham & Women's] were fabulous. Occasionally Dr. Srouji wasn't able to perform the retrieval or transfer and we would work with other doctors on those days. One in particular, Dr. Walsh, had a terrible bedside manner and I really disliked him, but everyone else was great....Sandy is Dr. Srouji's nurse and she is fabulous, but all the nurses in the practice were great. My husband and I called a lot with questions and they were always patient and informative.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Most of the doctors and nurses were fabulous. Occasionally Dr. Srouji wasn't able to perform the retrieval or transfer and we would work with other doctors on those days. One in particular, Dr. Walsh, had a terrible bedside manner and I really disliked him, but everyone else was great.
Dr. Srouji was incredibly thoughtful and caring. She called after every result (positive and negative) to check in and see how we were doing. She always seemed to be very invested in our success and determining what adjustments needed to be made to improve the treatment after each cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Sandy Vance)
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
As noted earlier, Dr. Srouji was incredibly caring and dedicated to helping us achieve success. She called us to check in, tracked my response and made adjustments, and was a clear communicator through every step of the process. I am so thankful for her kind and supportive care. She did some out-of-the-box thinking regarding why our embryos weren't making it to day 5 despite the high number we had. After switching two day 3 transfer with assisted hatching, we had two successful cycles, the first ending in miscarriage due to chromosomal abnormality (we didn't do genetic testing) and the second resulting in my current pregnancy.
Ask lots of questions. It's an overwhelming process and she is there to help you make sure you have the information you need to move forward in the process. And call her nurse Sandy--she is amazing and was a great help to us as well.
We used ICSI because my husband had sperm morphology issues. My PCOS meant lots of eggs of not so great quality, so we switched to a Lupron protocol which helped. We also found that our embryos weren't converting from day 3 to 5 so we switched to day 3 transfer w assisted hatching.
Massachusetts has unbelievable coverage for fertility. We paid nothing out of pocket, maybe a total of $100 in copays for our insurance.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
This [Brigham-Bos] is a big hospital practice, so some may need to adjust their expectations surrounding this. The experience with the doctor will feel personal, but with the all the outside testing it is what it is - a big hospital without a lot of hand holding... I didn't have a ton of interaction with [nurse] Susan, but she got her job done adequately...We had a complication very early on...but she [Dr. Ashby] and her staff were great. The moved us to a private room while they made surgery arrangements so we could process what was happening.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This is a big hospital practice, so some may need to adjust their expectations surrounding this. The experience with the doctor will feel personal, but with the all the outside testing it is what it is - a big hospital without a lot of hand holding. I am personally fine with that, others prefer a different approach.
Dr. Ashby gets right to the point, but does it with compassion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
Because I only had one medicated/monitored cycle, I didn't have a ton of interaction with Susan, but she got her job done adequately. When I emailed her to let her know I'd gotten a positive pregnancy test she got me set up right away for HCG testing. When she called me with my (very high) results she made me laugh when she said "well you're DEFINITELY pregnant, wow!"
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I saw Dr. Ashby at the recommendation of a family member who had a successful pregnancy with Dr. Ashby's help. At the first appointment, me and my husband knew we were in great hands. She is direct and knowledgeable, and gives her patients confidence that she is an absolute expert. She thought we would see great results with IVF but our insurance required us to try 3 IUIs with injectables before we could move on to IVF. I was disappointed since I really hoped to start IVF right away, but to everyone's surprise the first IUI worked! We had a complication very early on - when my first ultrasound was performed at 6w3d, it was discovered that my pregnancy was heterotopic, meaning that I had a viable pregnancy in my uterus and a second one in a fallopian tube. The radiologists sent me to Dr. A's office and she saw us immediately. She laid it on the line - I had a perfect embryo in the uterus but the ectopic needed to be removed immediately before it could rupture and put my life in danger. It was something seen more commonly with IVF but not unheard of for IUI patients. She felt that this procedure would not harm my viable pregnancy. Needless to say we were shocked and upset, but she and her staff were great. The moved us to a private room while they made surgery arrangements so we could process what was happening. One of her associates removed the fallopian tube that afternoon. A week later we had another ultrasound which showed a healthy heart still beating. The rest of pregnancy was uneventful and I had my healthy, perfect daughter.
Trust her!
For my IUI we used Gonal-F with ultrasound monitoring throughout, then an HCG trigger when follicles were ready. This produced 2 mature follicles and several smaller ones.
It was covered by insurance so we paid very few out of pocket costs
Boston
[Nurse] Kelly is kind, knowledgeable, and communicates clearly and timely...We live very close to the Brigham and Women's hospital, so it is very convenient. All the doctors there (not only mine) are experts in the field. The clinic is clean, well maintained, and comfortable...She [Dr. Rachel Ashby] personalized my care, and her team worked together to modify my IVF protocol to help me get pregnant. Also, I have a "unique" uterus that makes embryo transfers difficult. She placed a Malencot catheter in in me few a few days to make the transfer easier. My understanding is that this clinic is the only one in the country to do this. And it certainly helped make the next transfer easier. Also, I got pregnant!
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
She personalize my care, and her team worked together to modify my IVF protocol to help me get pregnant. Also, I have a "unique" uterus that makes embryo transfers difficult. She placed a Malencot catheter in in me few a few days to make the transfer easier. My understanding is that this clinic is the only one in the country to do this. And it certainly helped make the next transfer easier. Also, I got pregnant!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kelly )
Kelly is kind, knowledgeable, and communicates clearly and timely.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She is an excellent practitioner with great bedside manners: She has skillfull hands and is part of a great team. She came to me recommend from several friends (all healthcare professionals). I will recommend her to all my friends who need fertility treatment. Also, as a plus...When I had a miscarriage, the whole office treated me with compassion and kindness.
Ask her to clarify any terms/vocabulary that don't understand. People new to fertility treatment may find that the amount of information shared initially is very dense and overwhelming
I did a low dose AB agonist protocol during the first cycle. While I got 18 eggs retrieved, we had lower fertization rates than expected. Also, the embryo transfer was very difficult because I have a tight cervical opening (which my Doctor hypothesized lead to my uterus to contract post transfer, and pushed my embryo into my Fallopian tube, and causing my ectopic pregnancy). After my failed cycle Dr. Ashby and her whole team met for a "cycle review" and suggested I do the same protocol, with the addition of Menapur, ICSI, and placement of a malencot catheter (to make the transfer easier). This resulted in 21 retrieved eggs, 6 five day blastocysts (they transfered one, and froze 5). The transfer was much more smooth, and I am happy to say we are now pregnant!
Ultrasound and blood work monitoring was very streamlined and organized
My insurance covers 6 rounds of IVF, so I am unsure about actual costs. I paid $75 for all my meds and a $50 copay each cycle
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
I think the clinic [Brigham] has good doctor's and being in the Brigham has access to great resources. I also think they are a business and their goal is to get people in and out (pregnant) so at times it feels a little too much like a factory...I went in for monitoring one cycle and was told that there were no orders in for me. So I had to find an on-call person who had to then find Dr. Ashby who then had to place the orders.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think the clinic has good doctor's and being in the Brigham has access to great resources. I also think they are a business and their goal is to get people in and out (pregnant) so at times it feels a little too much like a factory. Overall, though, I had a good experience and I would (and am) going to go back.
I really appreciated Dr. Ashby's approach - very much "down to business". She clearly cared about how I/we were doing, but there was a game plan. I wanted results and Dr. Ashby was there to discuss what to do, when and how to get the results.
It was not as organized as I would have liked it to be. I believe I sent a few emails that needed quicker responses and I had a massive billing situation that took a long time to work out that should never have been an issue.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I really appreciated Dr. Ashby's approach. I was working with another doctor before who was very knowledgeable but I felt was almost too timid in her strategy. Dr. Ashby was willing to be a little more aggressive and understand that I wanted results immediately. For each appointment she was up-to-date on where I was in the process and ready to explain the next steps and why. She was very efficient, yet I felt that I had time to ask any questions I needed.
She moves fast and is down to business. If you need someone to go slowly and be a bit more nurturing, I am not sure if this would be the best fit. That said, I would never say Dr. Ashby doesn't care and/or is cold.
I was on Letrozole to help me ovulate and then tried timed intercourse. The first round did not work. The second round we decided to do IUI and that worked! Another round of letrozole and follicle monitoring. There was question about whether or not I had too many mature follicles, but Dr. Ashby felt it was fine to proceed with IUI and I'm so thankful I did.
Insurance covered my treatments so I do not know exactly the costs.
2013 - 2015
1 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Brigham and Women's is a big clinic and you may not get the personal attention that you get from some of the smaller clinics. I liked the team of doctors there and also liked that they have options where you can see some of the doctors from the city in the suburbs and not have to drive into Boston all of the time....We did multiple embryo transfers since I was older and the quality of my eggs/embryos.
2013 - 2015
1 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Brigham and Women's is a big clinic and you may not get the personal attention that you get from some of the smaller clinics. I liked the team of doctors there and also liked that they have options where you can see some of the doctors from the city in the suburbs and not have to drive into Boston all of the time. They are also some of the best doctors and I was happy to be getting help from them to start our family.
She would explain what options we had. I was older when we started and knew that it might not be easy but knew that she was there to help us start the family that we so badly wanted.
This is the team that we had most of our communication with when we received test results along the way and would share with us what we needed to do in terms up changing dosage of medications I was taking.
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I was happy to be working with Serene since she was part of the Brigham and Women's team and she also had other doctors that she could consult when she wanted to bounce something off another doctor. During our meetings she was present there for us to discuss our options. We went through 5 IVF cycles with her and the last 2 were donor egg. Our first donor cycle went terribly wrong and she had felt bad. Knowing this she wanted to lay out our options and went above and beyond if we opted to do a 5th cycle in which we did. She was very surprised by the results of our 1st donor cycle that being worse than my cycles. When we opted for the 5th and final try she even worked with us to secure a donor. The only thing that I wish is when we had a failure she was the one who reached out and not to hear it from the nurses. While we always met with her during our appointments we never spoke with her during the tests and results always came from the nurses. We would then meet with her but it was often a few weeks after we had received the news.
She is busy and you will see her for your appointments but most of your communication will be with the nurses. Also she is only in Foxboro once a week so it limited the times that she could make an appointment if you wanted to see her there verses Boston.
This process was so easy and they had time set aside in the morning where we could come in. Super easy and did not add stress to an already stressful process.
We are lucky to live in MA where fertility treatment is covered through our insurance so other than medication co-pays we did not have much in terms of costs for the IVF procedures. Our expenses came in with the egg donor process and that can be costly.
We did multiple embryo transfers since I was older and the quality of my eggs/embryos. She also tried icsi where they place a small pin hole in the embryo increasing the chances that it would take.
Foxborough
The [Brigham] nursing staff is super sweet...The admin staff is really bad. They don't return phone calls very quickly, are not helpful on the phone. When I filled out paperwork to get my records (as I was moving), they gave me the wrong instructions. When my new doctor requested records from them, they never came.
Dr. Ginsburg knows her stuff and has seen dozens and dozens of cases. In some instances, this means that she knows what has worked and doesn't really need to know a lot about you personally. But she still makes an effort to be kind and get to know you - she's pretty cut/dry (not a lot of chit chat), but friendly. Her nursing staff is great, but administrative staff is super unresponsive, and that makes it frustrating.
One of the nurses specifically recommended we try Clomid without IUI. The doctor hadn't actually suggested this, but she turned out to be right. That's what ultimately worked!
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg is an expert - not necessarily warm and fuzzy, but super fair and helpful and patient. I was seeking a compassionate caregiver, but also one who could help guide us on the right next steps when you aren't always certain what to do. She's no nonsense. Her nursing staff is super sweet. Her administrative staff sucks (bluntly - rude and unresponsive, hard to make apps, etc.). That part can make it difficult. Also, since she is at a hospital, simple procedures like IUI will cost a lot more (need to pay hospital fee vs. just doing it at a clinic). Luckily she pointed this out, so we went to do IUI at the Harvard Vanguard clinic.
Figure out which simple procedures may be cheaper to do elsewhere so you can avoid expensive hospital fees. For IVF, I believe it's the same cost. Also, figure out a way to make appts while you're there so you can avoid having to call their unhelpful staff.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
You definitely had to get to the ultrasound clinic [at Brigham] right when they opened, they were on a first come first serve basis and the waiting room was always full. [Dr. Hornstein's nurse] was very nice, but sometimes a little inpatient relaying the information.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He was very hard to get a hold of personally, I was always talking to his nurse. When we did sit down with him he had to re-read his notes on our case, as though he was not familiar with it. When we did have appointments with us he went over everything in detail and made us feel positive about our progress. However, when I was diagnosed with severe ovarian hyper stimulation I spoke to almost every doctor in his practice, only speaking to him once when hospitalized for the week.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Barbara Appel)
I spoke to Barbara the most. I think because they see so many patients that sometimes they forget this is new to us, so they go through the information quickly. She was very nice, but sometimes a little inpatient relaying the information.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
He was very thorough in his testing and in our health history for both my husband and I. We never felt rushed when we had appointments with him, however, he was very hard to get in touch with personally- we spoke mostly to his assigned nurse. I felt like he definitely explained everything to us in a way we could understand, but sometimes the process wasn't always clear to me. I will say, having had 2 prior miscarriages he allowed us to stay on as his patient past the 8 week mark until we felt comfortable being released to our regular OB/GYN, which I was very grateful for.
Write down everything he says, have your questions ready...and make sure you get his nurses direct line for follow up questions. He's very smart and it can sometimes be a little intimidating, but ask your questions until you feel like they were answered in a way you can understand. Also, just know you aren't always going to get him on the phone, so you need to be ok with talking to his assigned nurse.
You definitely had to get to the ultrasound clinic right when they opened, they were on a first come first serve basis and the waiting room was always full. They opened very early so it was convenient for traffic and to get to work on time.
2003 - 2013
4 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Keith [Isaacson] was always there for me. I never felt rushed talking to him. He always took my concerns seriously. When I asked him to do my transfers, he always said yes, instead of farming me out to another doc. When I had to be hospitalized during a pregnancy, he met me at the hospital in the middle of the night and personally did an ultrasound, and stayed with me. He was and is amazing.
2003 - 2013
4 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
When I first started with Keith, he was at MGH. By the time I was doing IVF with Keith, he had moved to Newton Wellesley Hospital. At one point, he was doing IVF retrieval/transfer at Boston IVF. He has a minimally invasive surgical suite at NWH--not sure if he does all transfers there today or if he still has a Boston IVF affiliation.
Keith was always there for me. I never felt rushed talking to him. He always took my concerns seriously. When I asked him to do my transfers, he always said yes, instead of farming me out to another doc. When I had to be hospitalized during a pregnancy, he met me at the hospital in the middle of the night and personally did an ultrasound, and stayed with me. He was and is amazing.
How was your experience with Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
He is a great listener, a great communicator. He is VERY gentle. I spent many years getting to know Keith--and always felt he was my advocate. I have three daughters BECAUSE of him. And, I continued to see him after I had children--he even performed my recent hysterectomy. I am sad to say I have no more reasons right now to be his patient!
Do whatever you can to get yourself to Keith first. From what I have experienced with other docs at other fertility clinics, it is far more of a factory approach. NOT with Keith.
I had four IVFs--each one with more add ons. I won't remember all of the specifics as the last one was 13 years ago--and I am sure there are more sophisticated protocols now. I definitely did Lupron shots--plus whatever else. Progesterone injections post transfer. I know he did IXCI (I may be misspelling this) and assisted hatch as well on the fourth (successful) cycle
Thankfully, Massachusetts insurance pays for infertility treatment. I know the total costs for my care were extraordinary--but have blocked out the dollar figure!
2010 - 2012
I LOVED Kathy. She was attentive, caring and able to explain all of the medical stuff ot me. She always called me right away with test results and spent as much time on the phone as needed. She was my cheerleader through the whole process...The clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital] is part of a major teaching hospital. So, the couple of times there were emergent issues, I was treated by a fellow and not the doctor. That said, the fellows are amazing and talented. There is always someone available 24/7 which was really helpful when I had issues off-hours. Also, if you're paying out of pocket, procedures are more expensive because the hospital charges more than free standing clinics.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The clinic is part of a major teaching hospital. So, the couple of times there were emergent issues, I was treated by a fellow and not the doctor. That said, the fellows are amazing and talented. There is always someone available 24/7 which was really helpful when I had issues off-hours. Also, if you're paying out of pocket, procedures are more expensive because the hospital charges more than free standing clinics.
Dr Fox spent time getting to know me as a person, not just someone who was trying to get pregnant. She listened to my questions and concerns and set the treatment in a way that made sense for me. Not just for her success rate.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy Lyons)
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Fox is a wonderful doctor who cares deeply about her patients and helping them achieve the families they dream of. I liked that she explained all of the medical things I was going to experience. I also liked that she didn't just follow protocol when it came to testing, but also her gut. She also looked out for my financial and psychological well-being.
She has a strong Long Island accent that if you're not used to, takes a little getting used to. Be as open as possible with her so she can use all the information in your treatment.
The monitoring appointments for ovulation/IVF were early in the morning before they opened up ultrasounds to others. It interrupted my morning routine, but it was early enough that I was able to get to work ontime. The window was big enough and there were enough rooms that I didn't have to wait long. The ultrasounds after I got pregnant were scheduled at my convenience.
All of my expenses were covered by insurance except the co-pay
Describe Janis Fox's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
She did want to transfer 2 embryos on my first IVF cycle. I wasn't willing to risk twins and so we had a pretty emotional discussion. Ultimately, though, she listened to me and my needs.
2006 - 2011
It was busy practice so the front office staff and Dr. Y really didn't get to know you very well. As a patient you spend more time with the blood lab and ultrasound people. I was very fortunate to get pregnant on my 3rd IUI with Dr. Y. I was with a more local doctor when trying for my second years later...Since it's at the Brigham, it can be overwhelming given all the other focus areas of the hospital overall. Do your homework and prepare to make the most of your time there. I remember sitting in an orientation clinic with a large group of hopeful parents-to-be and getting a large folder of information. It was overwhelming but doable.
2006 - 2011
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
It was a long time ago. My experience varied depending on who I got to see. Some had more bedside manner than others.
How was your experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
It was my first time as a fertility patient so it was definitely an overwhelming experience. Dr. Y was very practical and knowledgeable. She has a lot of strengths but the office was so busy that there could have been more help for newbies like myself.
Do you research, be prepared as you won't have a lot of individual time with Dr. Y. She cares tho and is very professional and knowledgeable.
Back in 2006, insurance companies were still requiring the 3 IUIs first so that's what we did and my 3rd IUI was successful and now my beautiful daughter is almost 10 :) I was happy that my insurance covered the injectable pen then as it was relatively new and less intimidating than the thicker ones they had then.
I was fortunate that my insurance picked up most of my care.
2014 - 2017
1 IVF, Surrogacy
A nice clinic [Brigham and Womens] to work with, tends to be busy as the BWH is a very large center...Just one time that I was waiting for an answer to a question and it took a few days to receive an answer, so I had to call back and follow through...Dr. Srouji knew my name and our case and took the time to review my medical history and cover all the details, and be in touch with my other doctors.
2014 - 2017
1 IVF, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
A nice clinic to work with, tends to be busy as the BWH is a very large center.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Holly Hughes)
Most of our contact was via phone and email, only met once in person. They were very helpful, were quick to respond to emails and answer any questions that I had.
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Srouji was a caring, friendly doctor. She took the time to explain the surrogacy process and answer any questions that I had brought with me. She was genuinely excited by our success and wanted to be updated when our daughter was born. She is very busy so there were times that communication as slow, but I understand that just as I am given the time and effort, so are her other patients.
Be patient with the wait times in between appointments/phone calls. Brigham is a busy clinic!
Dr. Srouji created a very specific IVF plan based on my medical issues, and monitored me very carefully, explaining her decisions along the way. We did a very low dose of hormone stimulation with constant US and blood tests to check levels along the way. Our cycle was effective and produced several viable eggs for transfer.
I did all of my monitoring appointments at the local clinic, it was very convenient and wait times were minimal, staff was very helpful.
The total cost for the clinic and hormone meds for our GC was around $10,000
2013 - 2016
Getting a first appointment can take a long while, also because they Brigham & Women's Hospital] are so busy they will only allow you to have one pending appointment at a time. When problems arise they do get you in the same day without problems... Pam handled most of the communication, but all of the nursing staff was always quick to return calls and keep me updated. When they had bad news to report they always did it in a manner that felt they were sorry and empathetic.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Getting a first appointment can take a long while, also because they are so busy they will only allow you to have one pending appointment at a time. When problems arise they do get you in the same day without problems. Getting appointments that require testing can result in you having an ultrasound at 10 am and then seeing the doctor at 1 pm, so you need to plan accordingly.
Our first transfer ended up with an ectopic pregnancy, she showed a lot empathy and urged us to find the silver lining that we had achieved pregnancy. With every failed cycle she always mentioned how we were getting closer to our goal. She is not touchy-feely but she is not cold either.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Pam Reilly)
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She goes directly to the point and is very clear about possibilities and scenarios. She was quick to adjust my protocol when she did not get the amount of eggs expected. She is knowledgeable about insurances and will keep contact with other providers to ensure everything is ready
Most treatments were the same, Lupron as well as GonalF. My last cycle where she adjusted the protocol to try to increase the egg yield, she added a birth control patch and Menopur
Everything was covered by insurance, we only had to pay deductible, but I believe a full cycle with retrieval and transfer was around $15,000
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Not having a consistent nurse assigned to My case [at Brigham - Bos] is my biggest complaint...There were some nursing changes happening At the time of our treatments, so we never had one nurse that we consistently talked with. That would be my biggest complaint with my experience at Brigham. I did get timely call backs however...
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Not having a consistent nurse assigned to My case is my biggest complaint
Dr. Fox took her time with us, thoroughly answered all question and made us feel that she was personally invested in the outcome of or treatments
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
We saw Dr. Fox for a second opinion regarding ongoing fertility issues. After out first visit with her, she made us few confident in the approach she would use to hep us concieve.
She runs late at times, but it is worth the wait. She spends as much time as needed with you. We never felt rushed, and we always had a lot of questions!
She did some Initial testing Amd blood work that she felt was not done previously, and then we proceeded with an egg retrieval using a different medicine and protocol. After my retrieval, we proceeded with PGS testing, at which time 2 eggs came back normal. I then had my first frozen transfer, which resulted in a negative pregnancy. We met with Dr Fox again to review my case. I then had a battery of tests looking for uterine abnormalities, including polyp removal. I did a prep cycle to see how my uterus responded to the medicines in my protocol, and when she was satisfied with that I had another transfer, which has resulted in a pregnancy. I am currently 16 weeks
2011 - 2015
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Not as new facilities as MGH [at Brigham - Bos] and the doctors don't do your ultrasound but your own doctor reviews your results every time unlike other places...Susan is no nonsense but she has to be as the gateway to the doctor. She has a softer side but not as evident when you first meet her- her organization is amazing though...I recall that once my appointment was scheduled for a different time than I was told. They made room for me regardless of the schedule...
2011 - 2015
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Not as new facilities as MGH and the doctors don't do your ultrasound but your own doctor reviews your results every time unlike other places.
She is amazing. So prompt with follow up including personal email and phone calls during her vacations. Spoke to the psychological side and not just medical. I am still in touch with her today even though our family is complete!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Susan fisher)
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I adore her. She is the best and you could not ask for better medical and emotional care. I cannot say enough accolades about her! She answered every medical question thoroughly and appreciated that I had done my own research. I felt confident that I wasn't just a number and she cared and was willing to take risks on my drug cocktail to get better results. She even coordinated care for me while I was living abroad so I could come back to Boston for a FET.
She is very busy so use your time thoughtfully. Trust her. She will be candid with you and doesn't care about the stats for her patients. She wants the best result for everyone.
No lupron - antagonist cycle instead since I had had poor egg quality with lupron suppression. We also used some sort of "sweetener" to enhance egg quality. Used gonal f and ganirelix
All paid by insurance except for a CET cycle I had to pay for myself since located outside of USA
Boston
They [the staff at Brigham & Women's] were kind and thorough. They have a lot going on and it lead to long waits for monitoring some mornings. They were responsive when I was in cycle, but not after I was done. They did not call to update me as my embryos grew, but that may have been related to the study we participated in.... During my cycle the staff were great and very responsive. After my cycle I needed paperwork for insurance and I couldn’t get anyone to return my call. It took weeks before I got a response and then was never able to get what I needed.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
They were kind and thorough. They have a lot going on and it lead to long waits for monitoring some mornings. They were responsive when I was in cycle, but not after I was done. They did not call to update me as my embryos grew, but that may have been related to the study we participated in.
She is kind and thoughtful.
How was your experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
The only down side is she was always far behind on her schedule, but it was usually because she had emergencies. She was thoughtful and thorough. She listened to my concerns and responded accordingly.
Make sure you have time for the appointments. As things may take some time.
She recommended to move directly to IVF due to my abdominal pain from endometriosis. She was honest that IUI would not be the right plan for me and would just prolong pain. I started with the pre-treatment testing and then moved to treatment. I started with birth control and then injection for several days with close monitoring via blood work and ultrasound. I had a HCG trigger and then egg retrieval. They then did a 5 day fresh transfer one one embryo.
There were many women in the waiting room and some morning they didn’t have enough techs. This lead to long waits.
I was lucky to have good insurance coverage due to mandatory coverage in Massachusetts.
Describe Elena Yanushpolsky's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
We participated in a study that required single embryo transfer. If we didn’t participate In the study our doctor still have strongly recommended eset. That recommended was based on my age and experience.
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
I wasn't that impressed with her [Dr Ashby's] nurse. She was very disorganized and didn't really seem to understand my cycle... Had I been relying more on Susan [my nurse] for instructions, the outcomes could have been very different.
European, South Asian
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Rachel was amazing. She truly cares. She held my hand while I cried and helped us to come up with a plan that we felt good about. She was great about 'thinking outside the box' and devising a plan that truly looked at why previous treatments had failed.
I wasn't that impressed with her nurse. She was very disorganized and didn't really seem to understand my cycle. Rachel Ashby and I had come up with a good plan, which was not in line with the 'normal' protocols of that clinic. I was very, very involved with what we were doing, so I wasn't very reliant on the nurse to tell me what to do, and when. Had I been relying more on Susan for instructions, the outcomes could have been very different. I'm sure she's fine if you're following a very standard cycle, but in my case we were not.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Rachel Ashby was wonderful. Appointments with her were like talking to a good friend. I felt that she truly cared and was totally honest with us about expectations and outcomes. I cannot recommend her highly enough. When there was a setback in my latest cycle, she phoned me out of hours to reassure me and answer any questions.
She is so popular that it can take months to get an appointment. She is worth waiting for. I made the mistake, in my haste to get in with a fertility doctor, to initially go to someone else. In the long run, that cost me a lot more time. Wait a few extra months to see Dr Ashby, she's totally worth the wait.
2004 - 2011
I spent a lot of time talking with the nursing staff [at Brigham] and felt they were always responsive and caring...I found this clinic to be much more innovative and open to new ideas and solutions....My cycles were covered by insurance. I paid roughly $350 per cycle in meds....Dr. Hornstein is a great listener. He made me feel part of the process and the solution. He delivered information with kindness but also with the level of information I truly needed.
2004 - 2011
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I was that person who was always told there's a chance that X or Y could be the problem but probably not - and it always was. I spent a lot of time talking with the nursing staff and felt they were always responsive and caring.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I came to Dr. Hornstein after a bad experience with another local clinic. I had had a successful IVF, then miscarriage, then D&C that left me Asherman's syndrome while at the first clinic. Dr. Hornstein was the first RE to truly listen to me and to come up with a treatment plan that worked for me. When we hit set backs, he was innovative in his approach to overcoming them. I have the utmost respect for him and he truly is the reason I've got children today.
Make sure you ask all of the questions you have. Don't hold back. He is a great listener and he will fully answer your questions but you have to be open and share all that you are thinking of.
It's been a number of years. I did 4 IVF cycles with Dr. Hornstein. The final one resulted in a healthy twin pregnancy. My boys were born in 2004 so it's been a while.
My cycles were covered by insurance. I paid roughly $350 per cycle in meds.
This really didn't exist when I was undergoing my IVF cycles. We transferred a number of embryos in my final IVF that resulted in fraternal twin boys.
Newton
I wish I could thank them [the nursing staff at Brigham] personally after surgery. I never met such a great team. they treat you as queen with a lot of kindness, care and attention. they explained to me each step what they were doing, we even laughed right before surgery begin.... It is clean, neat place with all necessary departments under one roof. it could be a bit complicated to find right room, so I would recommend to come earlier to your appointment in case you get lost.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Doctor Garqiulo is a doctor with big heart. He listens with attention all your needs, questions. You feel comfortable next to him. I totally trust him myself for planned surgery.
I wish I could thank them personally after surgery. I never met such a great team. they treat you as queen with a lot of kindness, care and attention. they explained to me each step what they were doing, we even laughed right before surgery begin.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Amazing talented doctor from God. From first meeting with him, then later in surgery day and on post-surgery meeting I had strong confident feeling inside of me that its best doctor whom I could trust myself and my health. I did right choice! Knowledgeable, experienced, companioned, attentive. even that human charming smile means so much to us, his patients. I highly recommend him. Dr. Gargiulo is the best!
Do not have doubts, if you chose Dr. Gargiulo, you are in safe hands!
Boston
The office staff [Brigham] are somewhat less helpful and considerate than the nursing staff and the doctors. However, they have been very thorough and organized with our care. They have coordinated with each other to ensure all tests and procedures are done to help us make a decision....The nurses have been very sweet and have taken the time to call us back and answer our questions promptly....
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The office staff are somewhat less helpful and considerate than the nursing staff and the doctors. However, they have been very thorough and organized with our care. They have coordinated with each other to ensure all tests and procedures are done to help us make a decision.
She was kind, considerate, and thoughtful. She considered both mine and my wife's health, needs, and concerns. She took the time to talk to us about all of our options.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg was very informative and open about our options. She allowed us to ask questions and she provided us clear, thorough information. She was open with us about the risks and her concerns, but also listened to our concerns and wishes.
To be open to hear everything that she has to say, and to be open about your wishes and your concerns. She is flexible and open to working with people.
Dr. Ginsburg has had both me and my wife undergo various evaluations and tests to ensure we have the best plan. Such as HSG, lab work, and meeting with maternal fetal medicine.
13,000 plus 8,000 for medications
We wish she would be a little more flexible with doing multiple embryo transfer.
Boston
I think Brigham is generally a good clinic - decent waiting times, nice facilities, cutting-edge research and technology. It's well-set up to deal with fertility and has efficient processes, even when you have procedures at weekends. The administration side is sometimes slow... I have had issues getting call backs, and occasionally been told different things by different nurses.... Intermittent service from the nurses as Dr Ashby's main nurse left during the period of treatment.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think Brigham is generally a good clinic - decent waiting times, nice facilities, cutting-edge research and technology. It's well-set up to deal with fertility and has efficient processes, even when you have procedures at weekends. The administration side is sometimes slow, particularly in getting call-backs.
Dr Ashby is very friendly and chatty with me, and showed lots of interest in my personal life and motivations when we first met. Although she's sometimes rushed, I feel like she cares about me personally and my care and results.
Intermittent service from the nurses as Dr Ashby's main nurse left during the period of treatment. They're subbing in for each other which makes communication sometimes inconsistent, and it can be hard to get same-day callbacks with urgent questions.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I have found Dr Ashby extremely straightforward and pragmatic. She listens to what I want, and balances it with her medical opinion. I am a Single Mother by Choice and she has been fully supportive and encouraging of that route to parenthood.
She's very straightforward - if you like that, you'll like her!
PCOS, Unexplained
Brigham and Women's was organized and pleasant. There was often a wait, but that was to be expected. The rooms for my husband were awful- his account, not mine....Monitoring appointments weren't always great- early mornings, often crowded, some staff was more pleasant than other...Nursing staff in general was very caring and compassionate. They were especially responsive and patien with me as I was always eager for results and next steps
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Anchan immediately and always made my husband and I feel comfortable and empowered during an incredibly stressful and sometimes awkward experience. He understood our emotions but also our need to know the facts. He was kind, funny, and personable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
How was your experience with Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Anchan has wonderful bedside manner. He is also incredibly knowledgable and confident in his practice. We came to him after trying to conceive and had a clear action plan. While it took several months to get pregnant, Dr. Anchan kept us informed and confident in his approach to continue forward. One surprise was that with a single embryo transfer, we ended up with twins...who knew??
Be open and honest with yourself. Take each day as it comes. Lean on others - including your doctors and nurses- for support.
3 Clomid IUI cycles 1 IVF cycle
Describe the costs associated with your care under Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
$0
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Ashby is awesome but the staff is the worst I've experienced. I had to coordinate my care myself- no one at Brigham ever called me with results and it was IMPOSSIBLE to get set up as a new patient.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The system at Brigham treats you like a number including all of the nursing staff yet Dr. Ashby truly treats you like a human and really talks to you like a person not a doctor.
To date I have not been able to get any of the nurses to respond to my emails or phone calls. When I do get in touch with the nurses, they do not know me, nor do they understand what's going on with me. They do not empathize and are not helpful at all. The only way I could get answers was to make an appt. with Dr. Ashby herself. Dr. Ashby is awesome but the staff is the worst I've experienced.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I felt immediately at ease and comforted with Dr. Ashby- she talked to us like a friend and not a doctor. I never felt as if I were rushed and she even gave me her email address when I wasn't able to get in touch with the nursing staff.
She will try to find a solution that is minimal - from impact to you but also risks associated with the options. She was great to not jump to IVF off the bat yet started with less invasive steps.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Every nurse and staff member [at Brigham & Women's Hospital- South Shore] that I encountered was very kind and compassionate and great at their job. I can't say enough good things about my experiences with them!...I had been on clomid for months and had experienced 3 miscarriages. Dr Yanushpolsky ran a new set of blood tests and arranged several tests to check my ovaries, eggs and fallopian tubes. As soon as the results of these tests were available she met with me and explained clomid was not what was needed and I tried one round of Ovidrel as she prescribed and was pregnant that month and had my son.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr Yanushpolsky was very thorough in explaining the issues I was facing medically and why I had suffered miscarriages in the past. She was sympathetic but clear and concise in explaining how she would address the issues.
Every nurse and staff member that I encountered was very kind and compassionate and great at their job. I can't say enough good things about my experiences with them!
How was your experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I had visited 2 other reproductive endocrinologists prior to Dr Yanushpolsky and I found them to have "better" bedside manner but they were not as results oriented as Dr Y. Although she wasn't as chatty or warm as others I had seen she was very nice and very to the point. I felt very confident in her understanding and her care plan for me.
Don't expect hugs, but expect results.
The tests and Ovidrel were covered by my insurance
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
I was happy with our clinic [Brigham]. I didn't know any better though so it was comfortable for me. I did donate a better squeezy ball for blood draws because it was so hard to get blood from my arm!...[Nurse] She would leave me the best voicemails. They were always so thoughtful and too long to fit on one call!...Most of my procedures were covered but some were subject to my deductible. All the ultra sounds and stress tests after were subject to my deductible.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I was happy with our clinic. I didn't know any better though so it was comfortable for me. I did donate a better squeezy ball for blood draws because it was so hard to get blood from my arm!
He was very easy to talk to and ask questions. We had time in his office to just talk. He visited me while in the hospital once the girls were born to meet them.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Mark was a wonderful, caring person who connected with us. He walked us through everything, made sure we understood everything, and changed his course when the first cycle didn't work. Again, he visited us after the girls were born while still in the hospital.
Trust him. Go for two! It sounds scary but twins are the best!
I don't remember everything. Lots of shots and I know that I didn't produce as many eggs as we wanted. We used ICSI the second time and that worked.
I am a twin so there was no worry about having twins for me, so I was thrilled that the insurance covered two and we did that. I love being a twin mom!
2013
She [Dr Janis Fox at Brigham and Women's] told me that she couldn't promise to be on time for appointments because at a fertility clinic there are all kinds of unexpected results...She was very warm but I didn't feel like she was completely up front with me. Miscarriage is a common outcome, and it made it harder for me to handle it when she a) didn't warn me that sometimes embryos don't develop heartbeats and b) acted like it was surprising that it had happened.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The "Intro to IVF" class they make patients sit through it s total waste of time. They have designed it for their own convenience rather than the convenience of patients. Poorly planned and executed.
1) She told me that she couldn't promise to be on time for appointments because at a fertility clinic there are all kinds of unexpected results, like "people getting pregnant." I know from experience that nothing special happens when you get pregnant, and certainly nothing that would cause a doctor to be an hour late. 2) When I miscarried she told me that she was shocked and "hadn't seen this coming." At the time it was mildly comforting, but now that I have been through more cycles I know that this is extremely normal. In retrospect it made me feel as though something terrible had gone wrong when really it's just par for the course. And I can't believe she was truly shocked given how common this is.
2009 - 2011
I had very few complaints about the clinic [Brigham and Womens]. The hours they were available were extensive and convenient (including the availability of on-call doctors). However, if you are looking for a practice where one doctor does all of your procedures, this clinic might not be your best fit. The nurses perform minor procedures such as IUIs. Dr. Ashby only performed one of my egg retrievals and they do have fellows assist or perform retrievals and transfers alongside the main physicians. However, I only had excellent experiences with all of the doctors and fellows involved in my care.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I had very few complaints about the clinic. The hours they were available were extensive and convenient (including the availability of on-call doctors). However, if you are looking for a practice where one doctor does all of your procedures, this clinic might not be your best fit. The nurses perform minor procedures such as IUIs. Dr. Ashby only performed one of my egg retrievals and they do have fellows assist or perform retrievals and transfers alongside the main physicians. However, I only had excellent experiences with all of the doctors and fellows involved in my care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The nurses provide the bulk of care during routine visits and perform the IUIs. Most were fantastic-very skilled, compassionate and knowledgable.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby communicates with patients in an empathetic yet realistic manner. She cares about her patients specific concerns and needs during treatment. For example, we were concerned about creating extra embryos and she was willing to work with us on a less aggressive protocol to limit the number of eggs and, thus, embryos produced.
2 long lupron protocols, one with gonal-f, one with gonal-f and menopur. Second cycle added menopur and less gonal-f with hopes of producing better quality eggs
Boston
[nurses at Brigham & Women's Hospital] explained everything thoroughly on all followup phone calls throughout the process which was like 20+ after every blood test, ultrasound etc...[monitoring appointments were a ] well-oiled machine...BWH is a great hospital for IVF, thorough, clean, and great staff. They are available 7 days a week; however, the location is annoying to get to if you don't live in that part of Boston. Parking requires payment in nearby garages or valet parking is available.
Explained things clearly
How was your experience with Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Walsh explained things thoroughly and was technically proficient at all exams throughout the process including hysteroscopy, etc, recommendations for genetic testing, the full IVF process. He managed expectations well and mentioned the chances for success.
Ask all the questions you have
ICSI was recommended for male factor infertility hysteroscopy and other testing was performed to rule out female infertility causes
well-oiled machine
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
covered under insurance
An algorithm was used that said 1 embryo transfer was the maximum allowed, this wasn't really up for debate
Boston
All the physicians [at Brigham & Women's] we interacted with were phenomenal, as were the nurses during the retrieval and implantation...The drugs we received didn't match the protocol we were given which was really confusing...We did not have a good experience with Sandy. She often failed to return calls and provided us with conflicting information...During our two meetings, she [Dr. Serene Srouji] spent a lot of time answering our questions. She also made a huge effort to do the pre-test procedures herself so she understood exactly what was going on
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
All the physicians we interacted with were phenomenal, as were the nurses during the retrieval and implantation.
During our two meetings, she spent a lot of time answering our questions. She also made a huge effort to do the pre-test procedures herself so she understood exactly what was going on
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Overall, very good experience. She came off as very smart, but also caring. She was honest with us about the success rates. Downsides were that we saw two other doctors for the retrieval and the implantation, and didn't see her again since we got pregnant on the first try.
Come in with questions as it is often hard to think of them in the moment
Very minimal because the procedure was covered in MA
Because they were day 3 transfers, they recommended putting in two embryos. They told us we had an 8% chance of twins... we had twins
Boston
...See [Dr. Ashby] at the Newton- Wellesley location- SO much better than the Brigham. Appointments on time, better nurses and no more super early morning ultrasounds/ bloodwork.
She was the most personable, caring fertility doctor possible. She gave me her direct e-mail as well as her direct phone number and was available anytime I needed her. She was the only doctor to take the time to try to explain "the unexplainable". I felt I was listened to, understood and respected.
Compared to the staff at the Brigham the nurses were SO much more personable, detail oriented and caring.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
There really were no weaknesses to her treatment or bedside manner- she was exactly what I was hoping to find in a fertility doctor. Because of her (and her staff) I was SO much calmer, happier and confident than with my previous cycle with another doctor. She advocated for what she believed was best for me while also listening to me and taking my opinion and feelings into consideration.
CALL HER NOW! And see her at the Newton- Wellesley location- SO much better than the Brigham. Appointments on time, better nurses and no more super early morning ultrasounds/ bloodwork.
Newton
My nurse had to give me a methotrexate shot for my ectopic/chemical. She was very compassionate.
I first saw Dr. Ginsburg for a 2nd opinion. She went through all of my medical records and we came up with a plan for a different protocol moving forward. She listened to my concerns and treated me like a person instead of a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Pam)
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg is a caring and knowledgeble clinician. She really took the time to listed to me and review my past fertility cycles to come up with the best plan for me.
Although you may not see her often, she is always behind the scenes directing your care.
One IVF was done with the antagonist protocol. The first tranfer of a day 5 blast took but ended in a chemical/ectopic. The second was BFN.
My IVF was covered 100% by insurance.
2009 - 2013
Chaotic hospital environment, practice often running late. Doctor was empathetic but nurses more business-like. Efficient but not very warm. Always returned calls. Cramped city offices, difficult parking and labs in labyrinthine basement.
2009 - 2013
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Susan Fischer)
Trusted her and responsive but not very warm.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Felt my concerns about high twin rate weren't taken that seriously. Felt he was overly optimistic about male-factor issues, in an effort to be reassuring. Pleasant personality. Appointments felt rushed, had to come in with a list of questions to make sure they got answered. Only saw him at the commencement of treatment each time.
2013
It was extremely helpful to have one specific nurse to interact with [at Brigham and Womens] and made the process much more comfortable...Had one small issue with an appointment (didn't get entered into their system even though I made the appointment in the office). It happened when our primary nurse was out of the office.I came in on my scheduled day/time (from my appointment card) and the office staff took care of it and found a way to fit me in to see Dr. Fox.
2013
Dr. Fox payed attention to my career/interests and knew that I had an interest in (and some background in) medicine. She provided clinical trial information for us when she presented her recommended approach.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
It was extremely helpful to have one specific nurse to interact with and made the process much more comfortable.
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I prefer frank information rather than sugar-coating - with the appropriate level of compassion. Janis Fox worked well for what we were looking for in a provider. She provided the right balance of information and next steps.
Be open about what you are looking for (how much information) and what your concerns are - ask the questions.
Due to my insurance monetary limitations, Dr. Fox recommended going straight to IVF (and presented published trial data to support the recommendation). This worked great for us and allowed us to stay just under the lifetime maximum that we had.
2012 - 2013
Everyone I encountered at the Brigham--especially the various techs who took gallons of blood from this needle-phobe--were professional and helpful. From my first testing to my delivery, the Brigham has been great....Dr. Ashby had faith that she could help us have a family when perhaps another doctor would not....When my first IVF round was cancelled because I didn't respond to the meds, she told me not to worry, she had only begun to fight.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby had faith that she could help us have a family when perhaps another doctor would not. I was referred to her by a family friend who is in her practice and doesn't do IVF--hers was a name I had heard from other women and when I was also referred to her by a colleague and a family friend, I knew she was the right doctor for me. When my first IVF round was cancelled because I didn't respond to the meds, she told me not to worry, she had only begun to fight. One full cycle later I was pregnant with my daughter and with only one embryo remaining from that one cycle, we are now looking forward to completing our family with the arrival of a little boy in early summer.
2010 - 2011
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Monitoring appointments were quick and efficient. They opened very early which made it very convenient for work. Dr Fox's nurse was amazing and was a big reason I stayed with Dr Fox as long as I did. She was amazing at keeping me on schedule and was so kind when she had to break bad news to me.
2010 - 2011
European, South Asian
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Janis Fox didn't seem to care about the outcome of each cycle. She didn't talk through test results or explain clearly what next steps were.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr Fox's nurse was amazing and was a big reason I stayed with Dr Fox as long as I did. She was amazing at keeping me on schedule and was so kind when she had to break bad news to me. When I made the decision to switch doctor, the nurse was wonderful, helpful, and walked me through the process.
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
If you are the kind of patient who just wants to be told what to do without understanding the 'Why' then maybe she'd be a good fit. Personally, I found her unwilling to answer questions about what we were doing and why. She showed little care for how traumatic the infertility process can be.
BWH is a wonderful clinic, but wait a little longer to get in with one of the other doctors.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I had a good experience [at Brigham & Women's] overall! I had a few delays due to insurance approvals in the begining but the team was on top of it. Clinic is located in the hospital with variety of parking options. The greenline is within walking distance for those who prefer taking public transportation... I did IUI with gonal F with successful pregnancy.... Dr. Ashby is a great professional and takes her time explaining everthing. She made sure we understood each step and did not rush us. We were successful on our first treatment and hoping to do another in the near future.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I had a good experience overall! I had a few delays due to insurance approvals in the begining but the team was on top of it. Clinic is located in the hospital with variety of parking options. The greenline is within walking distance for those who prefer taking public transportation.
I have met with Dr. Ashby on every appointment. She always takes her time to explain and answer my questions.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I did IUI with gonal F with successful pregnancy.
Covered by insurance
Boston
Amazing group of people [at Brigham & Women's Hospital]! Always smiling and very friendly.... Dr. Ashby is very kind and compassionate but also doesn't hold back all of the facts and hard truths of the situation. Her honesty and candor are what made me feel she was the perfect fit for us. I couldn't anything but amazing things about her.
Amazing group of people! Always smiling and very friendly
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She's amazing! She gave us hope and made us feel at ease with our course of treatment. She's very compassionate but tells the facts and hard truths as well. I appreciate that, I want to know everything good or bad. Wouldn't want to do this with any other doctor.
Be open and honest with your wants, needs and struggles. She's there to help!
IUI, 1 IVF
She [Dr Rachel Ashby] advocated to get my IVF covered at age 43 as a single parent by choice after i had been declined by 2 REs....We did the most aggressive protocol of cetrotide/ menopur 300/ follistim 300. We got great results in # for my age. [Nursing staff at Brigham & Womens was] super warm, on the ball, compassionate with understanding my situation....I think they are great, billing/ nursing/ blood techs/ check in
IUI, 1 IVF
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think they are great, billing/ nursing/ blood techs/ check in
She advocated to get my IVF covered at age 43 as a single parent by choice after i had been declined by 2 REs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Nanci)
Super warm, on the ball, compassionate with understanding my situation.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I felt respected and cared for.
It is a fast moving process. Get your questions clear before an appointment.
efficient. they even worked with my unusual work hours (early morning yoga teacher)
complete coverage less copays
2010 - 2016
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other, Unexplained
[Brigham Boston] it's like a factory.....[Nurses] It's like a machine. They are doing this all the time and have it down to an assembly line but with compassion....[monitoring appointments] Very early in the morning. A challenge with Boston traffic....Not sure how you get an appointment - it's a challenge for new patients....The whole office is not very open to new "alternative" treatments such as reproductive immunology....Very difficult to get an appointment. But once you have one, she [Dr. Ashby] is great.
2010 - 2016
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Con - it's like a factory. One of the top rated/ best results in the country.
she got to know me and was matter of fact with me. But also sympathetic to my goals.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Very difficult to get an appointment. But once you have one, she is great. The whole office is not very open to new "alternative" treatments such as reproductive immunology. She is matter of fact instead of coddling, which I prefer.
Ask questions. Not sure how you get an appointment - it's a challenge for new patients.
Very early in the morning. A challenge with Boston traffic.
A lot
Goal is one live birth, so they put as few in as possible. Because of my age and reproductive history, they transferred as many as 3.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
B&W [Brigham and Women's Fertility] is a big place and it's run like a machine. Sometimes I felt like I was more of a number in the grand scheme of things than a patient....I was not as impressed with the nursing staff. My calls were not always returned and for my first monitoring ultrasound, there were no orders in the computer. I felt rushed on the phone sometimes.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
I needed someone who was upfront and more aggressive with treatments. Dr. Ashby was this, as well as checking in with how we were doing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Tricia Kennedy)
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby is very knowledgable and professional. She is very upfront with her thoughts and what she thinks may be going on.
She is not super warm and cuddly, but also she is not cold. She is realistic and hopeful and it is obvious that she cares.
2012 - 2015
[My nurse at Brigham is] very knowledgeable, responds over email and is compassionate. Dr Ashby called me personally with results of tests, she called me when she was on vacation after I emailed her with a question before our transfer. She took the time to talk with us about our lives and not just our medical information.
2012 - 2015
Dr ashby called me personally with results of tests, she called me when she was on vacation after I emailed her with a question before our transfer. She took the time to talk with us about our lives and not just our medical information. I felt like she cares about us as a family and not just as fertility patients
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Susan fischer)
She's very knowledgeable, responds over email and is compassionate
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She is caring, compassionate, knowledgable, and explains everything in a way that we can understand and feel a part of the process. She always emailed me back and never made me feel like I shouldn't be asking a question.
You will love her and she will take care of you
Boston
#1Was yelled at by a nurse about my cell phone message with no name attached this was while I was going tru a cycle already in an emotional state in a emotion state . #2 They called and Ridley asked why I had missed coming in for my HCG blood test. Which had been taken 2 days before which was negitive. #3 Had a hard time getting my protocol sheets
Hospital setting
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Ginsburg isn't warm she seems straight forward which is good but didn't give us the back ground of what was going . Her protocols where very aggressive which I know now is not always the way to go. It is a hospital setting so there is never any thinking out of the box when it comes to immunology issues, nutrition or supplements. You feel like just a number.
She maybe a good Dr for younger women in there 20s and early 30s with aggressive protocols Iwas 36 when I saw her and didn't get pregnant.
High doses of medication very aggressive. 1st cycle 3 eggs implanted 1 no pregnancy 2nd cycle triggered to early lost most of the eggs which makes me question there lab and how they grow immature eggs.
They where great
We chose to do one . She later told us we should implant 3 . I agree with that.
2012
The entire care team treated me like a person and were incredibly supportive. The nursing staff was always available and compassionate. Each doc has one primary nurse so you get to know them. The social workers were also fantastic and provided excellent support and advice.
2012
The entire care team treated me like a person and were incredibly supportive. The nursing staff was always available and compassionate. Each doc has one primary nurse so you get to know them. The social workers were also fantastic and provided excellent support and advic .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
She was extremely supportive and gentle in her communication. I felt comfortable calling with any questions... Even if I had asked before.
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She was the right mix of compassionate and practical. She noted my interest in medicine and provided full explanations for her proposed plan.
2009 - 2010
5 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
They didn't call in the birth control pill or sometimes on the weekends or holidays didn't call with the numbers after an US [ultrasound] and once with the pregnancy test results.
2009 - 2010
5 IVF, Donor Eggs
I was very happy with the doctor and her nurse. They really cared and did everything they could to help me.
She knew my number when I called and I enjoyed talking to her.
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I felt that she really cared about my health and positive outcome. I feel like she didn't fully look over my medical records and procedures I had done before I went to see her.
She's a great doctor and surgeon. I just feel that Boston IVF has a better lab.
I wish they had it available all times of day but it was understandably only early in the morning.
Boston
She [Dr Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's] was very cold but she was an excellent doctor. She was always right about her predictions...She was cold and blunt. However, I always felt very confident about her knowledge. She explained everything in detail and answered all my questions. She opened appointment times to fit me in. She's up to date with the current fertility research. Her nurses were always very nice.
Very professional.
She was very cold but she was an excellent doctor. She was always right about her predictions.
Very friendly!
How was your experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She was cold and blunt. However, I always felt very confident about her knowledge. She explained everything in detail and answered all my questions. She opened appointment times to fit me in. Shes up to date with the current fertiliy research. Her nurses were always very nice.
Trust her.
Natural frozen cycle.
I only paid 150 out of pocket.
2013 - 2016
Dr. Srouji and her staff [at Brigham and Women's] took their time when meeting or speaking with us. I felt that the team knew who we were....Expect her to be frank and thorough....The doctors seemed to be behind schedule (an hour or more) for appointments every time we were there...I was told the the results my genetic testing were in and clear, and to begin Clomid. A few days later, I received a call notifying me that the results of my genetic testing revealed I was a carrier for CF. (Conflicting information provided.)
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Srouji and her staff took their time when meeting or speaking with us. I felt that the team knew who we were.
What specific things went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Expect her to be frank and thorough.
Morning monitoring was efficient. I never had any issues.
Medications were $3000; IVF cycle was about $12,000.
Boston
We were seen by her team, not her. When it was her, she was robotic, like reciting a script. Even answering our questions, it felt like she was bored.
The one I remember... the word "gruff" comes to mind.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
See previous comment. Additionally, she didn't perform procedures. Rather, colleagues or interns did - including doctors we hadn't met, even when we were there for the first procedure (first time) and were nervous/anxious.
Choose another doctor.
Boston
Very knowledgeable about my issues- he [Dr. Hornstein] performed my lap and follow [up] care. Have not [yet] started ivf[.] He took time to explain everything i did not feel rush[ed]. He is very open to work with my other fertility doctor since i live overseas[.] His nurses [at Brigham & Women's] were nice- was not always the same person each time i went. Come ready to ask questions he will take time to explain everything.
Nothing to say
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Strenght- very knowledgable about my issues- he peformed my lap and follow uo care. Have not yey started ivf He took time to explain everything i did not feel rush. He is very open to work with my other fertility doctor since i live overseas His nurses were nice- was not always the same person each time i went.
Come ready to ask questions he will take time to explain everything
11 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
We were given incorrect instructions regarding my husband's preparation for day of egg retrieval/fertilization day. This resulted in zero fertilization on 11 eggs.
11 IVF, Donor Eggs
It was a bit rushed.
How was your experience with Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
He's an excellent doctor and did a great job on my myomectomy and did give my my only child, from IVF # 2.
Don't be over 42 :-)
We did use several different ones, I don't remember.
It worked fairly well. As I recall, it was a first come, first served arrangement. As I work for a school, I would get in there early and would usually get seen quickly. The techs were not allowed to comment/give any info as they were doing the scans, which was a bit frustrating. But I understand why they do it that way.
I don't recall. It was all covered by insurance. I believe our IVF with ICSI was in the $15K area.
Boston
Dr. Ashby shared her own experiences with infertility, which humanized the entire process. Dr. Ashby sees a lot of patients, and she did not remember me when I started my second round of treatments, two years after starting the first.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby sees a lot of patients, and she did not remember me when I started my second round of treatments, two years after starting the first. (This could also be due to the fact that my second round occurred while she had just returned from her own maternity leave. Mommy brain is real!) while I don't fault her memory, I wish that I were more memorable.
Patience for the process. Ask lots of questions. Follow instructions!
1 IUI, 6 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Surrogacy
He [Dr Raymond Anchan] was by far the best dr and most qualified I worked with. He was spot on about my condition that several others misdiagnosed. He said if it could be done we would do it together. I am forever grateful...He chose That I undergo lap surgery then we waited 1cycle then it worked.
1 IUI, 6 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I liked it was in a hospital setting
Dr A was a dream come true
Efficient
How was your experience with Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
He was by far the best dr and most qualified I worked with. He was spot on about my condition that several others misdiagnosed. He said if it could be done we would do it together. I am forever grateful.
Don't go anywhere else
He chose That I undergo lap surgery then we waited 1cycle then it worked.
He was realistic and somewhat conservative
2011
They [the nursing staff] were calm and understanding. The coordinator was a bit scattered. I had to call and ask when I was supposed to start my meds instead of them reaching out. It was stressful. She was either stretch too thin or not organized. That was the only negative part of my experience.
2011
The team was not always sure of who I was but after my second meeting with Dr. Ginsburg, I knew I was in good hands. She was extremely confident and knowledgable.
They were calm and understanding
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
If you're looking for someone who is warm and fuzzy, she isn't it. However she is extremely knowledgeable and talented. I would not hesitate to use her again if I wanted more children.
Ask questions
2009 - 2011
She [my nurse] treated me as a "friend," not just a patient. She [Dr. Simmons] came highly recommended & I recommend her highly. She is a gem.
European, Middle Eastern
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Virginia Simmons at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She spoke to me as a person. Never did she make it "my issue" - she was always willing to listen & share her experience. She wanted the best for my family & worked hard to make it happen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
She treated me as a "friend," not just a patient.
How was your experience with Virginia Simmons at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She came highly recommended & I recommend her highly. She is a gem.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Virginia Simmons at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Be ready for straight (yet compassionate) talk about fertility.
Virginia Simmons
2011 - 2014
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Dr Issacson and his staff were wonderful. After surgeries I was able to have a baby through IVF. Then three years later had another baby on our own. He is incredibly knowledgeable and a wonderful doctor for women with Asherman's Syndrome.
2011 - 2014
How was your experience with Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr issacson and his staff were wonderful. After surgeries I was able to have a baby through IVF. Then three years later had another baby on our own. He is incredibly knowledgeable and a wonderful doctor for women with Ashermans Syndrome