75 Francis Street
Stratham
75 Francis Street
Stratham, NH 03885

Treated 2017 - 2018
I had a very mixed experience with Dr. Srouji. At times she seemed to be on our side, at others she almost seemed mad at us. I was probably not the typical patient-- I didn't go in assuming we would be doing IVF--and that seemed to frustrate her... One of my biggest complaints is that she really didn't address--or seem to understand--my underlying medical concerns--I have been dealing with PCOS/PMDD/general endocrine issues and rough periods my whole life and wasn't sure how medications would affect me
[Brigham - Bos] Holly, is AWESOME. I just liked her style when giving results/instructions. She is upbeat but compassionate. My first interaction with her was when my genetic carrier testing came back positive for a fatal disease and she presented that perfectly...Monitoring is very early in the morning, and they seem to require more monitoring appointments per cycle than a lot of places...The ultrasound and lab techs are very nice.
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
It is very important to understand upfront that the doctors work as a team at BWH, which means the doctor you see primarily and discuss your treatment with is NOT the one making decisions as you go through your cycle, and will most likely not be the one doing your egg retrieval, transfer, HSG testing, uterus mapping, etc. I did not realize this until after my second cycle, which would have explained so much if I had known. As such, it's kind of hard to rate any doctor on their medical decisions. I had a very mixed experience with Dr. Srouji. At times she seemed to be on our side, at others she almost seemed mad at us. I was probably not the typical patient-- I didn't go in assuming we would be doing IVF--and that seemed to frustrate her. At age 39 I was sort of clueless about the fertility process and just went because my regular doctor told me to "get checked out" after six months of trying to conceive. The assumption, however, was that you are there to sign up for IVF no matter what, and she seemed really confused about how to handle the fact that I didn't know if I was willing to go that far. She waffled on a few things-- at first she said male factor was such an issue nothing short of ICIS would work, then after my husband had a second test she said it was in the normal range and trying IUI first sounded like a great plan, then when the sperm count was low with the IUI she was almost angry with me and said the sperm count was always low and she only supported trying IUI because she knew I didn't want IVF. One of my biggest complaints is that she really didn't address--or seem to understand--my underlying medical concerns--I have been dealing with PCOS/PMDD/general endocrine issues and rough periods my whole life and wasn't sure how medications would affect me. I did have some REALLY bad side effects from both Clomid and the IVF meds that she neither warned me about, nor seemed to care about when I reported them. I think some mistakes were made during my second cycle but I will never know for sure because she abruptly dropped me as a patient. I don't know if it was Dr. Srouji's fault per se, but overall I would characterize working with BWH as traumatizing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
If you are not too interested in the details or any sort of individualized care, this might be a better experience (I felt that way at first until things started getting complicated and confusing and I seemed to have more questions the more I learned). It might also be better if you are an IVF veteran and already know the basics.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She did not take my individual medical history/concerns about side effects into account at all. She tried one protocol and then a more aggressive one and then pretty much gave up. The practice at BWH seems to have a real culture of not providing a lot of information, medical or process-wise. Dr. Srouji was always very late for appointments--at least 30-45 minutes--even first thing in the morning. I always felt very rushed when in appointments with her and always came out not sure of next steps and with more questions than when I went in.
Describe the protocols Serene Srouji used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
At 39 and 1/2, my AMH was 2.0 and FSH was something like 5.5, but my husband's sperm count and motility was low. So low, in fact, she said nothing short of ICIS would work (long story, but we did try IUI with Clomid first). My first IVF was lower dose antagonist (gonal-f, cetrotide, HCG trigger). Afterward she said my egg maturity rate (6/11) and my estrogen on trigger day (525) were much lower than she'd expect with my numbers so we had to go to an aggressive lupron microflare cycle (lupron, menapur, gonal-f, HCG trigger). My estrogen was MUCH higher (3260), and I had 14 follicles on trigger day, but only 8 eggs were retrieved and only one embryo was frozen on day 1. The embryo had to be frozen because my progesterone was extremely high during stimulation. She said I clearly have "an egg problem" but dropped me as a patient at the same time, so I don't have anymore information than that to work with going forward.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
The primary nurse who works with Dr. Srouji, Holly, is AWESOME. I just liked her style when giving results/instructions. She is upbeat but compassionate. My first interaction with her was when my genetic carrier testing came back positive for a fatal disease and she presented that perfectly. She also went WAY above and beyond to help us deal with CVS/Caremark, the most evil prescription drug plan provider imaginable. Unfortunately, some of the other nurses we dealt with when Holly was out were not as helpful at all. When I asked Barbara what happens after the cycle if I don't get pregnant (a medical question and a process question) she said, "we don't like to think about that" and wouldn't go any further. Nurse Marie told me they can't give patients all the information because "most people can't handle it." When I tried to get process information and was getting frustrated that she wouldn't provide it, she said, "I know you're upset because you always imagined you'd be a parent and now it might not happen..." um, no, I'm upset because you won't tell me what I have to do next. The other nurses I spoke with (Tricia and Amanda) seemed nice and helpful.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think most of the information is provided in my other responses. It's such a mixed bag. Really just don't expect a lot of information sharing-- you won't know why the doctors make the decisions they do and you won't get any process information ahead of time, even big picture stuff that seems like it can be reasonably estimated. If you want any sort individualized treatment I don't think this is the right place. Also, from my internet research it seems like I am far from the first patient they have dropped, so I think it's something you have to be prepared for (I was not). While some people are wonderful, others can be defensive, condescending, or even flat out insulting.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Monitoring is very early in the morning, and they seem to require more monitoring appointments per cycle than a lot of places. It's ok once you get used to it but at the beginning it was super stressful. Leave PLENTY of time in the morning for Boston traffic, parking, etc. The ultrasound and lab techs are very nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
It's MA and I have BCBS, so I only paid 10% plus copays for medications (~$200).
Describe Serene Srouji's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
BWH uses an algorithm to determine the number of embryos to transfer-- you can choose to have fewer transferred but not more than they recommend.
Serene Srouji
Boston
We used Letrozole with timed intercourse followed by progesterone supplementation [with Dr. Ginsburg]...She was very excited for our success and answered all questions thoroughly...Extremely knowledgeable with regard to the latest research. Answered all questions thoroughly and knew what gaps to fill in on our testing before starting treatment... I had a blighted ovum with my first pregnancy and have PCOS. I am now 15 weeks pregnant from our first cycle on that protocol.
[The nurses at Brigham & Women's Hospital were] Extremely knowledgeable and very quickly responsive!...the nurses not specifying the draw or catching the result as an incorrect one resulted in me going to get a varicella booster that delayed my treatment cycle by a month. I discovered the error a couple of days after the shot through my own research. I didn’t feel that the clinic was especially apologetic or owned up to this mistake and their role in it.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Extremely knowledgeable with regard to the latest research. Answered all questions thoroughly and knew what gaps to fill in on our testing before starting treatment. Came highly recommended from a friend and lived up to what we had heard!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Have all of your questions written down in advance and don’t be afraid to ask them all.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She was very excited for our success and answered all questions thoroughly.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Ginsburg used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
We used Letrozole with timed intercourse followed by progesterone supplementation. I had a blighted ovum with my first pregnancy and have PCOS. I am now 15 weeks pregnant from our first cycle on that protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Extremely knowledgeable and very quickly responsive!
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I did have one snafu despite very compassionate care... my lab request for varicella titer did not specify which type of draw; written by a nurse and stamped with doctors signature. The lab made a mistake in just choosing which one to draw (one for active infection and not immunity, which I likely have after having chicken pox as a child.) The lab I had my blood drawn at had a big role, but the nurses not specifying the draw or catching the result as an incorrect one resulted in me going to get a varicella booster that delayed my treatment cycle by a month. I discovered the error a couple of days after the shot through my own research. I didn’t feel that the clinic was especially apologetic or owned up to this mistake and their role in it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Minimal on Letrozole cycle... two ultrasounds, consult, follow up, and meds.
Stratham

Treated 2015
She will try to find a solution that is minimal - from impact to you but also risks associated with the options. She was great to not jump to IVF off the bat yet started with less invasive steps.
Dr. Ashby is awesome but the staff is the worst I've experienced. I had to coordinate my care myself- no one at Brigham ever called me with results and it was IMPOSSIBLE to get set up as a new patient.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I felt immediately at ease and comforted with Dr. Ashby- she talked to us like a friend and not a doctor. I never felt as if I were rushed and she even gave me her email address when I wasn't able to get in touch with the nursing staff.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
The system at Brigham treats you like a number including all of the nursing staff yet Dr. Ashby truly treats you like a human and really talks to you like a person not a doctor.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
To date I have not been able to get any of the nurses to respond to my emails or phone calls. When I do get in touch with the nurses, they do not know me, nor do they understand what's going on with me. They do not empathize and are not helpful at all. The only way I could get answers was to make an appt. with Dr. Ashby herself. Dr. Ashby is awesome but the staff is the worst I've experienced.
What specific things went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Rachel Ashby
Treated 2014
Dr Ginsburg isn't warm she seems straight forward which is good but didn't give us the back ground of what was going . Her protocols where very aggressive which I know now is not always the way to go. It is a hospital setting so there is never any thinking out of the box when it comes to immunology issues, nutrition or supplements. You feel like just a number.
#1Was yelled at by a nurse about my cell phone message with no name attached this was while I was going tru a cycle already in an emotional state in a emotion state . #2 They called and Ridley asked why I had missed coming in for my HCG blood test. Which had been taken 2 days before which was negitive. #3 Had a hard time getting my protocol sheets
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She maybe a good Dr for younger women in there 20s and early 30s with aggressive protocols Iwas 36 when I saw her and didn't get pregnant.
High doses of medication very aggressive. 1st cycle 3 eggs implanted 1 no pregnancy 2nd cycle triggered to early lost most of the eggs which makes me question there lab and how they grow immature eggs.
Hospital setting
They where great
Describe Elizabeth Ginsburg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
We chose to do one . She later told us we should implant 3 . I agree with that.
What specific things went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

Treated 2009 - 2013
Chaotic hospital environment, practice often running late. Doctor was empathetic but nurses more business-like. Efficient but not very warm. Always returned calls. Cramped city offices, difficult parking and labs in labyrinthine basement.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Felt my concerns about high twin rate weren't taken that seriously. Felt he was overly optimistic about male-factor issues, in an effort to be reassuring. Pleasant personality. Appointments felt rushed, had to come in with a list of questions to make sure they got answered. Only saw him at the commencement of treatment each time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Susan Fischer)
Trusted her and responsive but not very warm.
Antonio Gargiulo

Treated 2014 - 2015
See previous comment. Additionally, she didn't perform procedures. Rather, colleagues or interns did - including doctors we hadn't met, even when we were there for the first procedure (first time) and were nervous/anxious.
We were seen by her team, not her. When it was her, she was robotic, like reciting a script. Even answering our questions, it felt like she was bored.
Choose another doctor.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The one I remember... the word "gruff" comes to mind.