75 Francis Street
1032 Main Street
South Weymouth, MA 02190
75 Francis Street
Stratham, NH 03885

Dr. Isaacson has a calm demeanor, but really feels like he’s trying to help you. He thinks outside of the box & makes helpful, forward thinking recommendations. When he speaks to you about treatment, you really trust him & feel it’s coming from a place of experience & research...did an initial consult to review my miscarriage, infertility, & recent D&C procedure. He then did an internal vaginal ultrasound to check uterus on cycle day 7. Afterwards, he did a diagnostic hysteroscopy. We were checking for Asherman’s Syndrome, or uterine scarring from after a D&C I had don
Scheduling with the clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital] from out of state was a little hectic, but it seemed like normal things I would run into with scheduling with any clinic out of state. There were some appointment switches that had to be made due to the doctor being out of the office on my originally scheduled appointment day, but the office did a good job rescheduling my appointment around the date & time of my original appointment. I believe there could be more up to date reminders or text alerts, but overall I thought the staff & office did a good job. It was a nice office when we went.
How was your experience with Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
He’s worth the wait or hassle to travel to! We came from Michigan to Boston to see him & it was worth every penny & second.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Isaacson made us feel so at ease & safe. He was reassuring, kind, & patient. He seemed like he genuinely wanted to help us & all staff at his office made us feel the same way!
Describe the protocols Keith Isaacson used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Dr. Isaacson did an initial consult to review my miscarriage, infertility, & recent D&C procedure. He then did an internal vaginal ultrasound to check uterus on cycle day 7. Afterwards, he did a diagnostic hysteroscopy. We were checking for Asherman’s Syndrome, or uterine scarring from after a D&C I had done several months prior for a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks gestation. Although the procedure was a little uncomfortable, it was short & i didn’t have to go into surgery or be put to sleep. I’m much happier I got to do the procedure this way.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The nurses we saw were all nice. We probably saw 3-4 different nurses throughout the appointment. It seemed like they switched every stage of the process. For the consult I believe 2 different nurses came in before the doctor, then a nurse for the hysteroscopy
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Scheduling with the clinic from out of state was a little hectic, but it seemed like normal things I would run into with scheduling with any clinic out of state. There were some appointment switches that had to be made due to the doctor being out of the office on my originally scheduled appointment day, but the office did a good job rescheduling my appointment around the date & time of my original appointment. I believe there could be more up to date reminders or text alerts, but overall I thought the staff & office did a good job. It was a nice office when we went.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
We went through the hospital’s billing department to secure a quote for the procedure beforehand. This was nice because they factored in insurance to give us an accurate quoted price. I believe they were pretty close to what we ended up being charged. Total out of pocket, we paid around $881 total for the consult, ultrasound, & diagnostic hysteroscopy. I don’t remember exactly what hospital billing quoted us, but it was close. The billing department was overall good & friendly. They did lose my quote once & I had to call & do a little digging to get it re-done but they completed it timely.
Keith Isaacson
Newton
3 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
She[Dr. Rachel Ashby] is direct and explains the medical protocols and procedures in a very approachable way... I had a hysterectomy after receiving treatment for cancer...she was thoughtful in developing my treatment plan and found a way to balance the physical risk of doing another egg retrieval... We retrieval 9 eggs, 5 fertilized (in my prior cycles at another clinic we retrieved 1 eggs, 1 fertilized and 2 eggs, 2 fertilized).
Nursing staff [of Brigham & Women's Hospital] is incredibly well informed, compassionate and helpful...I have fertility coverage with my insurance: out of pocket costs were $800 for embryo freeze storage and $140 for scripts...staff went out of their way to confirm my drugs and gave me a smaller needle for the intramuscular injection...they can do procedures here that are not possible "IVF outpatient clinics"
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Ashby is wonderful. She focuses on getting the best outcome for the patient and takes into account their specific circumstances. She is highly skilled with complicated cases. She is direct and explains the medical protocols and procedures in a very approachable way (often drawing pictures). She takes the time to answer questions and thinks about the patiently holistically - including your emotional and mental health.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I was a relatively complicated case - I had a hysterectomy after receiving treatment for cancer, DOR and had experienced a highly unusual and dangerous complication during a prior egg retrieval. Dr Ashby was thoughtful in developing my treatment plan and found a way to balance the physical risk of doing another egg retrieval. She also suggested we freeze 2PN embryos to be used in my gestaional carrier. Dr Ashby created a way more personalized plan than my prior doctors.
Describe the protocols Rachel Ashby used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Lupron Flare protocol with Dr Ashby (after 2 other protocols recommended for DOR / poor responders at another clinic); we timed the start of the cycle to coincide with natural cycle (as opposed to using birth control) - since I do not have a uterus, this requires more blood work with the nurses at the beginning. My egg retrieval was expected to be done transabdominally (even though I have a healthy BMI) but ultimately both ovaries were not able to be accessed abdominally and the procedure was completely vaginally. We retrieval 9 eggs, 5 fertilized (in my prior cycles at another clinic we retrieved 1 eggs, 1 fertilized and 2 eggs, 2 fertilized).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Nursing staff is incredibly well informed, compassionate and helpful. The nursing staff went out of their way to confirm my drugs and gave me a smaller needle for the intramuscular injection. I absolutely loved the phlebotomist at the Newton Wellesley location - she was so pleasant and easy to talk to! The ultrasound tech was also very capable and kind.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Strengths: lab, technical capabilities of doctors and facility - they can do procedures here that are not possible "IVF outpatient clinics", patient care is personalized and focused on the optimal outcome for the patient - not on meeting statistical goals, holistic approach - consider emotional and mental health and well being
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Describe Rachel Ashby's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I froze 2PN embryos and will be using a gestational carrier; Dr Ashby was supportive of using two embryos given 2PN embroys have a lower chance of pregnancy
Boston
Dr. Ashby is all about woman empowerment. She had a good approach in discussing my fertility options and advocating for myself as a woman, a caregiver to do what was best in my health for me. She was straight with the facts, but empathic about the journey i.e. hormones, appointments, and possibility of not getting a pregnancy test...this was my first IVF cycle and I'm classified as Obese (Cat III) she elected eSET. I don't think I'd be a candidate for MET due to my weight.
The nursing staff is wonderful at Newton Wellesley Hospital! They answer my questions in a timeline manner and are very empathetic about the procedure, medications, blood draws etc...With the patient gateway, my test results are available on the portal which is great. I wish they would also post medication instructions too or it'd be nice to communicate via email for certain things...The care is unparalleled to other experiences I have endured. They are organized, efficient and human. I have been treated with such kindness throughout my entire journey.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Be prepared with any questions as both of your times are valuable.
I started with Oral Birth Control on Day 1 for about 12 days - 5 days later when menses began had a baseline ultrasound. I took 300 IU of menopur in the AM followed by 300 IU gonal-f in the evenings. After 5 days, I started cetrotide in the AM along with the menopur. I stimulated for ~13 days then trigged by HCG intramuscular shot (evening) followed by retrieval two days after trigger shot
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The nursing staff is wonderful at Newton Wellesley Hospital! They answer my questions in a timeline manner and are very empathetic about the procedure, medications, blood draws etc. There was one mistake during my visit - as it was my first time, I assumed once I ran out of medication then I was done. However, I need to request refills and my insurance requires a PA. There was a panic for a day, but it all ended up working out. However, I wish someone would have called me a few days in and let me know that I'd likely need more medication based on ultrasounds and blood work.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This clinic is amazing! The care is unparalleled to other experiences I have endured. They are organized, efficient and human. I have been treated with such kindness throughout my entire journey. The only weakness would be that you don't have a 'point person' - Carol is the charge nurse and is extremely effective in communication, but results are usually provided by a different nurse depending on schedules. With the patient gateway, my test results are available on the portal which is great. I wish they would also post medication instructions too or it'd be nice to communicate via email for certain things.
I have a high deductible insurance plan for my husband and I. I require to pay $3000 toward my deductible which I did with IUI/testing at a previous clinic. My prescriptions were covered with no coinsurance and all medical appointments were covered. Prescription (including additional needed for my cycle) would have been ~$30k for initial order and $13k for additional. Medical appointments were ~15k, but again did not have to pay anything out of pocket. I did do the genetic testing through Myriad. My insurance didn't approve it, but I'll likely pay $350 out of pocket.
At this was my first IVF cycle and I'm classified as Obese (Cat III) she elected eSET. I don't think I'd be a candidate for MET due to my weight.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I was running out of medication but wasn't informed that I would likely need 3-5 days of additional medication until my follicles reached the appropriate size. Fortunately, they had drug on hand and I was able to get a PA approved same day, but due to the timing I had to drive 1 hour to freedom fertility to get my additional prescriptions.
Newton
I went to Dr. Gargulio because I wanted my tubal ligation reversed. ... I had an initial visit with Dr. Gargulio where we discussed IVF or tubal reanastemosis, with my very strong preference being the surgery. ... Dr. Gargulio was incredibly warm, kind, and extremely empathetic. Instead of pressuring me into IVF like three other doctors did, he listened to my reasons for wanting my tubal ligation reversed and ultimately agreed with and validated my choice.
This is part of the Brigham and Women's hospital in Boston. ... The staff in the day surgery center were fantastic, they are committed to excellence and clear communication, which will prevent mistakes. Outstanding facility. ... I called the billing department, they acknowledged it was an error, apologized, and told me to ignore the bill. ... Everyone I spoke to was incredibly helpful and this is something that happens with pretty much every practitioner I see with my health coverage.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
As I mentioned, Dr. Garguilo has a phenomenal bedside manner. I cannot get over how incredibly kind he is, and how positive I felt every time I left an appointment. He is very honest and encouraging and evaluated me as an individual rather than a statistic. He kept my husband involved in everything, including visits to see him in the waiting room both before and after my procedure (I had a robotic tubal reanastemosis done, not IUI, but that's not a selection on this web site). When I brought up an issue with billing, something that I did NOT feel was part of his performance but wanted him to know, he immediately took steps to have me speak with someone who could help. Dr. Gargulio is a fantastic doctor and I highly recommend him to anyone looking to have a tubal ligation reversed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
My one piece of advice is to not bother calling anyone else - call Dr. Gargulio's office. I went through three doctors - one of whom treated me so poorly that I had given up on ever having children again - and my only regret is that I hadn't found him sooner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Describe the protocols Antonio Gargiulo used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
I would like to repeat that I didn't have a fertility procedure or analysis done, but this particular website doesn't allow for that. I went to Dr. Gargulio because I wanted my tubal ligation reversed. The procedure had been done by my Ob/Gyn when I was in an abusive relationship (and I felt pressured by her nurse to have it done instead of another method of birth control) and began to regret it as soon as that relationship ended. I had an initial visit with Dr. Gargulio where we discussed IVF or tubal reanastemosis, with my very strong preference being the surgery. I was given some statistical information, then came back for a pre-operative visit where risks and statistics were discussed in further depth, and I signed my consent. I then had my surgical visit, followed by a post-operative visit where I was told that I can schedule a dye test to ensure my tubes remained open at my convenience. I am still within one month of post-op, so I don't have any results aside from the overwhelming satisfaction of having my fallopian tubes intact.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I had a different nurse at each visit. All of the nurses were very positive and up-beat, with excellent attitudes. Everyone I saw was capable and pleasant to be around. My post-op nurse, Sparkle, was fantastic (for what little I remember from my post-operative haze). I have nothing but good things to say regarding any of the nurses.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This is part of the Brigham and Women's hospital in Boston. I can't think of a single weakness of the facility that isn't tied into my personal preferences. The staff in the day surgery center were fantastic, they are committed to excellence and clear communication, which will prevent mistakes. Outstanding facility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
There was a one time bill of (approximately) $8,500, which would include a refund if I did not require an overnight stay. This included my consultation, pre and post op appointments, the surgery, and a hystogram (dye test) following the surgery.
Describe Antonio Gargiulo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This is not applicable to my situation. My doctor's approach of using a robot to perform my tubal ligation reversal laprascopically made my recovery time quick and easy, with a much lower risk of complications and infection.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Only two things went wrong at this clinic, one of which was a simple error that had no negative outcome on my treatment and one that was resolved expediently. The first was a simple clerical error, the wrong doctor was put on my appointment sheet for my upcoming appointments. I called to verify that I was seeing Dr. Gargulio, and if I was not to please call me. There was no affect on my treatment or care. The second is because I have a unique insurance situation, which many places do not know how to handle. I received a bill less than a week from my surgery, which stated my information had been processed through my insurance and this was my responsibility. I called the billing department, they acknowledged it was an error, apologized, and told me to ignore the bill. I mentioned this to Dr. Gargulio, who had me speak to his billing manager (I forget her exact title), who then checked into it for me herself, apologized for the error, and let me know that it was being taken care of. Everyone I spoke to was incredibly helpful and this is something that happens with pretty much every practitioner I see with my health coverage.
Boston

Dr. Gargiulo was extremely trustworthy and respectful when treating my stage IV endometriosis... is honest with his thoughts process for diagnosis. He is also very talented and precise during surgery, as he was able to save both my ovaries and fallopian tubes. I really like his conservative approach to treatment, where he aims to leave all fertility options open to the patient.
The nursing staff [at Brigham & Women's Hospital] was extremely compassionate and knowledgable...They also followup in a very timely manner when I'd call off-hours or during lunch...The clinic is in a very convenient location in Stratham, NH...Physically, it's not a huge hospital clinic, but it's modern, clean, and appropriately sized/staffed....
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Gargiulo was extremely trustworthy and respectful when treating my stage IV endometriosis. He doesn't dumb things down, make things seem better or worse than they are, and is honest with his thoughts process for diagnosis. He is also very talented and precise during surgery, as he was able to save both my ovaries and fallopian tubes. I really like his conservative approach to treatment, where he aims to leave all fertility options open to the patient.
Definitely ask all the questions you need. Dr. Gargiulo is extremely knowledgable and if he doesn't know something, he will know how to find out.
Asked important personal and detailed questions on my family planning timeline and had a lot of empathy and patience when answering my own questions.
Dr. Garguilo first had me do a 3D ultrasound down in Boston as the first step to follow up on an ovarian cyst (later to be confirmed as endometrioma), a polyp, and fibroids as diagnosed by my previous OB-GYN. Dr. Garguilo had me get an MRI to check for adenomyosis, which is very hard to detect on ultrasound. With previous OB-GYNs, my adenomyosis was misdiagnosed as fibroids, but Dr. Garguilo has ample experience to note a subtle difference and then went and confirmed via MRI. Knowing that I have adeno is useful for the surgery. He also had me get bloodwork for cancer markers (CA-125 and HE-4), because this would affect how to operate on my 6.3cm ovarian cyst. Most doctors don't look at HE-4, but it's a very important and useful tool. If I had cancer, and he spilled my ovarian cyst contents, the results could have been disastrous.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The nursing staff was extremely compassionate and knowledgable. I was particularly nervous about getting an MRI with contrast, as well as having a late morning surgery (as opposed to early morning) since I needed to do a bowel prep the day before. The nurses helped calm me down, told me about their own personal experiences with similar issues, and were very sweet. They also followup in a very timely manner when I'd call off-hours or during lunch.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The clinic is in a very convenient location in Stratham, NH. I'm very thankful that I didn't have to drive down to Boston as Dr. Gargiulo works out of the Stratham office Tuesdays and Thursdays. Physically, it's not a huge hospital clinic, but it's modern, clean, and appropriately sized/staffed.
MRI came out to $200 after insurance. Each office visit was $20 after insurance.
Stratham
Because of my age, she [Dr. Ginsburg] prefers doing a single embryo transfer. Also, because of my fertility issues we need to do PGS and PGD teting on all embryos, so we would only transfer testing, normal embryos... I lost count of the amount of times we've seen Dr. Ginsburg during the 7 months we've been with her. After experiencing two miscarriages with my previous doctor, she ran a recurrent miscarriage panel on my husband and I. When those results came back, she personally called me (not a nurse) to tell me the not-so-great news. She has always been kind and understanding, while also being clinical, direct and realistic. When we were fighting with insurance for coverage on treatment, she called me personally at 9pm one night to tell me she's been brainstorming my case and has an alternative approach to try that insurance will cover. She has fought for us with our insurance company, and has really gone above in a lot of ways that make us feel like we are in good hands.
they [staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital] uncovered a huge reason for why I cannot get pregnant. They're diligent and they have never once forgotten to call me with results or instructions. It's easy during this process to get upset or feel alone, but I think they really try to help you along and want the absolute best for you. They may be a little bit more direct and upfront, but I'd prefer that over not having all the information or being given false promises...The nursing staff in the south shore office is phenomenal. To be honest, they're tough, but they also care. I have called them so many times asking so many questions and they never seem annoyed. With that being said, they will tell you how things go and how things should be. They're direct, but most importantly, they care. I was having a particularly different time with some complex fertility issues and the nurse sat down and cried with me. She always tells me how much they're rooting for me and that they're thinking about us and not to give up.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She's very clinically focused, and does use a lot of examples from studies. But she also uses her own experience. She's very upfront and honest, but is also kind. She has been willing to switch up medications and protocols, and uses your past cycles as reference. There have been multiple instances when she's called me personally instead of the nurses, and she always answers all of our questions. We never feel rushed when we meet with her, and she answered all of our questions. She's honest, which quite frankly, is what women need during this process. She's never offered us false hope, but she's also never deterred us either. You can tell she has the same end goal as you--to get pregnant. I don't feel the same way about the other clinic or physician I was with before Dr. Ginsburg.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I was highly recommend her to anyone going through fertility treatment. She truly has your best interests at heart. She may seen "cold" to some, but I believe that's her being clinical. I never felt she was cold. She's only been kind, and really helped us explore every option while never pushing things on us.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Before coming to Dr. Ginsburg, I was with another fertility clinic. I saw that doctor a total of 2 times throughout the year I was with him. One of those times was our initial consultation, and the other was when he just so happened to be the doctor to preform my egg retrieval. I never heard from him during my two miscarriages. I lost count of the amount of times we've seen Dr. Ginsburg during the 7 months we've been with her. After experiencing two miscarriages with my previous doctor, she ran a recurrent miscarriage panel on my husband and I. When those results came back, she personally called me (not a nurse) to tell me the not-so-great news. She has always been kind and understanding, while also being clinical, direct and realistic. When we were fighting with insurance for coverage on treatment, she called me personally at 9pm one night to tell me she's been brainstorming my case and has an alternative approach to try that insurance will cover. She has fought for us with our insurance company, and has really gone above in a lot of ways that make us feel like we are in good hands.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Ginsburg used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
The first two IVG cycles I did before Dr. Ginsburg were antagonist with Gonal-F, low dose HCG, Cetrotide and a lupron trigger. For the first cycle with Dr. Ginsburg we used the antagonist protocol with Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide and a lupron trigger. For the next cycle we completely switched it up and used the long-lupron protocol and an HCG trigger.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I've had family members on my husband's side that have gone to this clinic and had success. Even though I haven't yet, they uncovered a huge reason for why I cannot get pregnant. They're diligent and they have never once forgotten to call me with results or instructions. It's easy during this process to get upset or feel alone, but I think they really try to help you along and want the absolute best for you. They may be a little bit more direct and upfront, but I'd prefer that over not having all the information or being given false promises.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
My insurance covered my rounds of IVF with my own eggs. They covered some but not all of the fees associated with genetic testing. We also looked at donor eggs and that was not covered by insurance.
Describe Elizabeth Ginsburg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Because of my age, she prefers doing a single embryo transfer. Also, because of my fertility issues we need to do PGS and PGD teting on all embryos, so we would only transfer testing, normal embryos.
Boston

Dr Ginsburg herself was lovely and although she's not the warmest doctor I've encountered, she certainly cares (she's just not touchy-feely, and that was okay for me). She is brilliant and experienced, but she also sees hundreds of patients and she practices at one of the biggest hospitals in the world, so it's hard not to sometimes feel like a number, even if it's not intentional.... Dr. Ginsburg had seen other women in my situation (severe endometriosis and multiple ectopic pregnancies) and she was able to give me clear direction and guidance. It was refreshing to hear someone make the call for me, when all I had experienced was "sure, we can try that if you want".
The Center for Infertility is deep inside BWH. It's a huge pain to drive to (you have to pay $8 in the parking garage each and every time you go for monitoring) and it's not an in-and-out type of place....When you go for monitoring at BWH, you are quite literally a number and you're there waiting for blood/ultrasound with 20 other people who are also there for a million other things, pregnancy monitoring included. For this reason, if you are particularly sensitive or triggered by women with big bellies, this is not the clinic for you.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Before coming BWH and seeing Dr. Ginsburg, I was a patient at a much smaller fertility clinic called Fertility Solutions. The difference between the two clinics was considerable. At FS, there are just 3 doctors and over the course of my two year treatment there, I got to know each doctor very well and all the nurses as well. Dr. Ginsburg is one of about 12 (this is just a guess) Reproductive Endocrinologists at BWH and she sees hundreds of patients. This does not mean she cares less about each individual, it just means (in my opinion) she has a more streamlined and matter of fact approach simply due to the volume of people she sees. I came to her because my treatment at FS came to a screeching halt due to having to make incredibly difficult decisions. The doctors wanted to help, but I just felt like they didn't have the experience or knowledge at this point to help me make important choices. They were willing to try new things, but it was all up to me. Dr. Ginsburg had seen other women in my situation (severe endometriosis and multiple ectopic pregnancies) and she was able to give me clear direction and guidance. It was refreshing to hear someone make the call for me, when all I had experienced was "sure, we can try that if you want". Sometimes you just want someone to tell you what to do. Dr. Ginsburg is not warm and fuzzy, but she's brilliant and confident, and she shows her true compassion in her own special way.
If you're okay with a direct approach and matter of fact guidance, Dr. Ginsburg is the doctor for you. I would recommend her to anyone because of how brilliant she is at her job, but I would absolutely warn them that they will not be seeing her much (only for initial consultations or meetings to discuss big decisions) and make sure they are okay with very little handholding.
Unlike my other two cycles, Dr. G had me on menopur and much less progesterone in oil. She also increased my Gonal F a considerable amount. I produced about 20% more eggs with her protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Pam Whitney)
Pam echoes Dr. Ginsburg's approach in her directness. She is warm in her own way, but you won't get endless hugs or handholding. She is matter of fact and quick in her delivery. I often felt a little silly asking her a million questions and although I was worried I was bothering her, she never acted that way. She was very quick to respond, which I appreciated.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The Center for Infertility is deep inside BWH. It's a huge pain to drive to (you have to pay $8 in the parking garage each and every time you go for monitoring) and it's not an in-and-out type of place. My last clinic had a parking lot and everything was fast and simple, so switching to BWH was a major adjustment. When you go for monitoring at BWH, you are quite literally a number and you're there waiting for blood/ultrasound with 20 other people who are also there for a million other things, pregnancy monitoring included. For this reason, if you are particularly sensitive or triggered by women with big bellies, this is not the clinic for you.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I shared this in my review of the clinic itself, but monitoring is very impersonal here. It didn't bother me because I have fairly thick skin, but for those who are more nervous and triggered by the site of pregnant women literally everywhere, the monitoring experience would be difficult. Your ultrasound will be done by a different person every time so becoming comfortable with the process is necessary
My insurance covered most of the costs of my IVF treatment here, but we are moving on to using a gestational carrier and insurance does not cover this at all.
I did not end up transferring at BWH

Embryo Freezing
She [Dr. Rachel Ashby] will tell you everything in detail and assertively. She is extremely talented and intelligent. She has the same goals as her patients and strives to get you to achieve that goal...is kind-hearted and sensitive but keeps everything straight to the point so there are no misunderstandings and emotional rollercoasters. She takes the time to explain everything in detail giving attention to you as if she has known you for years.
Appointments aren’t always easy to get [at Brigham & Women's Hospital]. There may be a waiting period to see Dr Ashby. She is incredibly busy but worth the wait. The weakness is locations. Newton Wellesley and Brigham and women’s have so much traffic to get to both...Allison [nurse] is responsive to all emails or questions. She is very hands on and involved in every aspect of the journey. She was kind and experienced...She [Dr. Rachel Ashby] will tell you everything in detail and assertively.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Ashby is extremely intelligent and a great communicator. She will explain everything in detail without having anything be misleading or related without clarification. She has shown that she has been doing this for quite some time so she doesn’t give way to sympathy however her tone and manner shows she cares. She treats you like you are the only patient. When there was an issue with my insurance she called them the day it happened to resolve the problem. We absolutely adore her and love that she doesn’t sugar coat anything and gives false hope and emotions.
She will tell you everything in detail and assertively. She is extremely talented and intelligent. She has the same goals as her patients and strives to get you to achieve that goal.
Dr Ashby is kind-hearted and sensitive but keeps everything straight to the point so there are no misunderstandings and emotional rollercoasters. She takes the time to explain everything in detail giving attention to you as if she has known you for years.
In process now
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ruhe)
Allison is responsive to all emails or questions. She is very hands on and involved in every aspect of the journey. She was kind and experienced.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Appointments aren’t always easy to get. There may be a waiting period to see Dr Ashby. She is incredibly busy but worth the wait. The weakness is locations. Newton Wellesley and Brigham and women’s have so much traffic to get to both.
She has a strong preference towards SET. She explained the risks which we were not comfortable with. I don’t know that she will do a DET as we have the same feelings.
Boston

I would say that if you are overly sensitive to prepare yourself for science and straightforwardness. I appreciated this with her [Dr. Elizabeth Ginsburg], but I have also had my diagnosis for years...She is funny, straight to the point and warm without giving false hope...She listens to our concerns and did not push anything that we were not comfortable with. She explained things to us completely and made sure we had clear instructions for the next steps.
Overall, the clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital] is great. Sometimes there can be a long wait, but it’s probably because they spend as much time as needed with their patients. I wish there was a satellite clinic closer to me as it is an hour from my house and coming in for blood work and appointments can be cumbersome...staff is pleasant and helpful...Pam [nurse] is very helpful, very kind and responsive...Consultantations that are not diagnostic are around $200.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg is intelligent, funny and straightforward. She is kind but does not give false hope. She listens to our concerns and did not push anything that we were not comfortable with. She explained things to us completely and made sure we had clear instructions for the next steps.
I would say that if you are overly sensitive to prepare yourself for science and straightforwardness. I appreciated this with her, but I have also had my diagnosis for years.
She is funny, straight to the point and warm without giving false hope. Her staff is pleasant and helpful.
First, she put me on metformin ER 1500mg with the plan to take until 2nd trimester of pregnancy. The side effects were too much for my body so she reduced it to 750mg after 3 months. During the first first she also gave me a 6 month prescription for letrozole 2.5mg to be taken days 3-7 of my cycle until pregnancy occurs. She also had my husband do a sperm analysis and did not assume the problem was me even with my diagnosis. She also suggested I get an HSG done. We decided to hold off on that until the 6 month period was over. I was only 30 at the time so she was fine with that. After the six months, I had the HSG showing no issues. She doubled the dose of letrozole and I am currently on my second cycle of that level dose. The first cycle drastically increased ovulation so they are hopeful it will take this round. If not, we are going to try one more cycle and then discuss IUI.
Pam is very helpful, very kind and responsive.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Overall, the clinic is great. Sometimes there can be a long wait, but it’s probably because they spend as much time as needed with their patients. I wish there was a satellite clinic closer to me as it is an hour from my house and coming in for blood work and appointments can be cumbersome, but it is all worth it.
Some were covered by insurance as it was “Diagnostic”. Consultantations that are not diagnostic are around $200. We have not had many other bills yet. It costs $9 an hour to park in the garage.
Boston

I was referred to Dr. Gargiulo with a tough diagnosis. ... At our second appointment we were told that I had an undiagnosed thyroid antibody that attacked my reproductive system. Dr. Gargiulo understood our deep desire to try anything we could. ... After 2 failed cycles Dr. Gargiulo recommended to use Donor eggs. Even through this entire time he was understanding and warm with his approach even with such devastating news. After 2 additional second opinions in Boston from other top IVF providers; we have started the Donor egg process. Both of the second opinions agreed completely with Dr. Gargiulos approach
Strengths: - Great Location - Clean - Staff was wonderful - Early morning hours - Always accommodating - A nurse is always on call - It is a satellite location for Brigham and Womens. This is wonderful to not have to drive to Boston for monitoring visits Weaknesses - Not a deal breaker but they close at 3:30p ... They [nursing staff] were all there after each failed cycle and were willing to help us with any resources they needed. We never felt rush at any appointment or never felt like a bother calling with the simplest question.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
He was warm and compassionate. He understood our deep desire to have a child and was willing to think outside the box which we appreciated as standard approaches were not going to work; which we knew from the first appointment. He never had to look back at my notes to reference previous cycles, he always seemed so well prepared for our visits and did not spend our time flipping through a chart. He is one of the best physicians I have ever met and I work for the best hospital in Boston.
Understand that as much as you want a positive outcome it is not always possible. You have to go in with an open mind and remember that Dr. Gargiulo will do anything possible to give you the best possible outcome.
Dr. Gargiulo was wonderful from the first appointment we had with him. He treated us with compassion and was delicate regarding our gloomy outlook of having a natural child. He always took the time to ask us how we were both doing and always made time for our phone calls or routinely stayed later to make sure there was an appointment. Even with our tough diagnosis we have trusted him every step of the way. His nursing staff were also wonderful, they always made us feel welcomed and took the time to explain the next steps.
I was referred to Dr. Gargiulo with a tough diagnosis. During the first appointment he was very frank with my husband and myself to explain the low percentage of having a child with my own eggs. After the first appointment he recommended a large volume of tests to understand why I had diminished ovarian reserve at such a young age. At our second appointment we were told that I had an undiagnosed thyroid antibody that attacked my reproductive system. Dr. Gargiulo understood our deep desire to try anything we could. We started an IVF cycle immediately with the highest dose of medications he could give me. We got to cycle day 24 and my eggs died on their own without maturing. Four months later we tried a different IVF cycle; Lupron Microflare and this cycle only got to day 7 and my hormones were unchanged. After 2 failed cycles Dr. Gargiulo recommended to use Donor eggs. Even through this entire time he was understanding and warm with his approach even with such devastating news. After 2 additional second opinions in Boston from other top IVF providers; we have started the Donor egg process. Both of the second opinions agreed completely with Dr. Gargiulos approach
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Marcia )
Wonderful! The entire staff was wonderful, not just Marcia. They were always on top of what my next steps where. They were all there after each failed cycle and were willing to help us with any resources they needed. We never felt rush at any appointment or never felt like a bother calling with the simplest question.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Copays for Office Visits and Failed IVF procedures.
Dr. Gargiulo based the embryo transfer on the patients age and diagnosis. On our first cycle he suggested only 1 embryo transfer. With our second IVF cycle he was going to recommend to the insurance company a 2 embryo transfer due to the rapid decline in my ovarian reserve. We never got to the embryo transfer state though for either cycle.
Stratham
Dr. Fox is more clinical than warm...However, she is very knowledgeable and is ready with a treatment plan once all the tests are completed. She is flexible to the patient's wants/needs and didn't force any treatment...I started on the lowest dose of letrozole, with intention of doing 3 IUIs and then moving onto IVF. Due to travel, my first two IUIs had to be cancelled. The 1st completed IUI worked much to my and Dr. Fox's surprise...
The clinic secretary [at Brigham & Women's Hospital] was a little rough around the edges at first, especially when it came to getting medical records. My OBGYN is in the same BWH network and the records are all linked electronically, however a nurse from my OBGYN office had to call the clinic as the secretary did not believe me over the phone. Otherwise, I have had no issues with the clinic...Nurse Nancy performed the IUI that got me pregnant so I am forever grateful to her.
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Fox is more clinical than warm, which my OBGYN had previously warned me about. However, she is very knowledgeable and is ready with a treatment plan once all the tests are completed. She is flexible to the patient's wants/needs and didn't force any treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Be prepared with questions and speak up if you prefer one treatment or drug over another.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I only saw Dr. Fox at the beginning of treatment and after success, with several months between. Due to this, during my last visit it felt like Dr. Fox was not up to date on my care and cycles I had gone through.
Describe the protocols Janis Fox used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Some of the nurses are better than others. At my first visit for blood work, the nurse said "oh your husband is a scientist, you'd think he would be smart enough to get you pregnant." Considering it's a fertility clinic, it was surprising to hear the lack of compassion and overall knowledge of how to speak to patients that may have tried to get pregnant for years. However, the other nurses on staff were great and Nurse Nancy performed the IUI that got me pregnant so I am forever grateful to her.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The clinic secretary was a little rough around the edges at first, especially when it came to getting medical records. My OBGYN is in the same BWH network and the records are all linked electronically, however a nurse from my OBGYN office had to call the clinic as the secretary did not believe me over the phone. Otherwise, I have had no issues with the clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
My insurance covered fertility treatment.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I once came in for a blood draw and they didn't have me on the schedule and it took two calls to get a prescription filled.
South Shore
Dr Ashby’s advice [about Eset] was based on my age and number/quality of embryos. One of the embryos took so I’m glad we transferred two...s direct but very smart and caring. She’s intelligent and can talk quickly but always allows time for questions...She was candid with me and set realistic expectations, which is very important. She advised on the best treatment for me personally and helped my husband and I think through decisions.
Nancy [nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital] was excellent! Incredibly compassionate and responsive. A real life saver in stressful moments...They were very helpful with helping with costs and contacting the insurance provider... The process can be daunting and I really appreciated how easily I could reach the nurses with questions or concerns. They’re very responsive and you never have to wait long for a call back. The day I went in for my pregnancy test, Grace, who draws blood, ran my sample right down to the lab and I got my (positive) result about an hour later. Amazing!
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby really knows what she’s doing. She was candid with me and set realistic expectations, which is very important. She advised on the best treatment for me personally and helped my husband and I think through decisions.
Ask questions if she talks too quickly.
Dr. Ashby is direct but very smart and caring. She’s intelligent and can talk quickly but always allows time for questions and you can reach her nurses any time of the day, which I utilized quite a bit!
Birth control for 12-15 days, break, injections including Menupur & Gonal F, trigger shot. Then for 10 weeks Endometrin suppositories twice a day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Nancy & Lisa)
Nancy was excellent! Incredibly compassionate and responsive. A real life saver in stressful moments.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think the clinic worked very well overall, a well oiled machine. They make everything easy to understand and are with you every step of the way. The process can be daunting and I really appreciated how easily I could reach the nurses with questions or concerns. They’re very responsive and you never have to wait long for a call back. The day I went in for my pregnancy test, Grace, who draws blood, ran my sample right down to the lab and I got my (positive) result about an hour later. Amazing!
My IVF was covered by insurance so I’ve had to pay copays for ultrasound and prescriptions. That ended up being pricey but that’s because of my insurance plan. They were very helpful with helping with costs and contacting the insurance provider.
We ended up transferring 2 embryos based on their recommendation. Dr Ashby’s advice was based on my age and number/quality of embryos. One of the embryos took so I’m glad we transferred two.

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
She [Dr. Ginsburg] has given us hope after cancer took our opportunity to become parents naturally...She has helped me fill out fertility grant applications immediately after I emailed her asking if she had time to do so. She made me feel important and hopeful. She recommended different grants/financial assistance options to help pay for fertility preservation costs. She was very easy to get a hold of when I had questions during my IVF cycle regarding medication. She made quick adjustments to a similar medication when my insurance did not cover a specific medication during IVF.
The billing coordinator [at Brigham & Women's], Gene Diaz, has made herself very available for questions and has broken down the costs to me in great detail both over the phone and email. She emails me back very quickly and provides much detail for each one of the fees I will eventually need to pay for surrogacy...So far I am yet to encounter any weaknesses... They are extremely accommodating and very inviting. From the front desk staff, to the coordinators, to the doctors. Everyone I have met at the clinic has been wonderful. They stay open late one day a week to help accommodate work schedules.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg is a very intelligent, calm, confident, and compassionate doctor. She has made me and my fiance more than comfortable and confident that we will be able to become parents via gestational surrogacy. She has walked and talked us through the necessary steps towards gestational surrogacy and has explained everything in great detail. She takes her time when meeting with us and genuinely cares about the success of our future embryo transfer. She has given us hope after cancer took our opportunity to become parents naturally. We met Dr. Ginsburg during a very difficult time in our lives and she gave us the hope that we so desperately needed back in 2015. Having a family of our own is the single most important thing in the world to my fiance and I and Dr. Ginsburg demonstrates that she cares about the success of the embryo transfer just as much as we do. Examples of her compassion: She has helped me fill out fertility grant applications immediately after I emailed her asking if she had time to do so. She made me feel important and hopeful. She recommended different grants/financial assistance options to help pay for fertility preservation costs. She was very easy to get a hold of when I had questions during my IVF cycle regarding medication. She made quick adjustments to a similar medication when my insurance did not cover a specific medication during IVF. She suggested testing my ovarian reserve level every 6 months to help me feel more involved and aware of the changes my body was going through and would email me my lab results as soon as they became available. She remembered little details I would tell her at past appointments about my family and hobbies/social life, she paid great attention to details. She makes me feel like part of the treatment time and keeps me hopeful through her kind/warm personality. She has more than 1 clinic location and has flexible hours making her very easy to get in touch with.
Dr. Ginsburg will explore every aspect of your fertility needs and if there is a way to help you start a family she will most definitely find it.
Dr. Ginsburg is absolutely wonderful. She is very responsive to emails and goes above and beyond to make sure her patients needs are being addressed. She has seen me at 2 different clinics and has always called/emailed me back right away. She never makes me feel rushed when meeting with her and answers all of my questions/concerns at length. She assured me everything was going to be OK and that she would work with me and my fertility needs when I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 25. I am so thankful to have her as a provider and I feel as though I could not be in better hands. Dr. Ginsburg and the entire staff at Brigham and Women have been tremendous. I am 100% confident in her care and strongly believe she will help make my dreams of becoming a mom a reality.
Dr. Ginsburg had me do 1 cycle of IVF while on tamoxifen (due to stage 3 estrogen positive cancer) back in 2015. My treatment plan consisted of injections and pills. Together, we discussed the options for eggs and embryos and the pros and cons of each. She helped me decided how many I was going to create embryos with. We froze 4 eggs and 4 embryos (originally had 6 embryos but 2 did not make it). She explained that the embryos would be frozen on day 3 to get "as money in the freezer as possible". Her plan is to transfer 2 embryos to a gestational surrogate as each embryo has a 40% chance of success. Her strategy to transfer 2 lines up with our goals, financial needs, and of course safety concerns. She explained everything in great detail.
Allison is simply exceptional. We have been in constant contact for about a year now. We email weekly and she answers in great detail every and any questions I have. She has talked to numerous potential surrogates of ours and has included as in all aspects of surrogacy process. She always makes sure I completely understand everything she is telling me. She will email me detailed information and also call me with updates when we had potential surrogates. She has helped me fill out about 10 applications for fertility grants and continues to support us in any way that she can.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Strengths: They are extremely accommodating and very inviting. From the front desk staff, to the coordinators, to the doctors. Everyone I have met at the clinic has been wonderful. They stay open late one day a week to help accommodate work schedules. They think outside the box and present different treatment options and scenarios to you regarding fertility and parenthood. They are easy to get in touch with over the phone and via email. I have never had any billing issues with the clinic and they accept most insurances. I have actually referred a friend to their clinic. Weaknesses: So far I am yet to encounter any weaknesses. One thing that would definitely be a great additional would be a grant program/scholarship for their patients to help pay for the surrogacy costs.
There was a high volume of patients waiting for ultra sounds during my IVF cycle but I was never waiting for a long period of time. They were open 7 days a week and I was always seen when I needed to be. The results were always available online within a couple hours and my clinic would always call me as soon as they got results. They were very on top of my care during my IVF cycle.
My IVF cycle was covered in full by my insurance. I did have to pay about $500 out of pocket for medications. My estimated hospital costs for gestational surrogacy services were quoted at 10K. The billing coordinator, Gene Diaz, has made herself very available for questions and has broken down the costs to me in great detail both over the phone and email. She emails me back very quickly and provides much detail for each one of the fees I will eventually need to pay for surrogacy.
We prefer to transfer 2 embryos to increase of chance of success on the first transfer. She was completely on board with this decision and also agreed that it was for the best. She assured us this choice is safe and is confident it will result in a live birth.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Ashby is great - she has been through IVF herself so she is understanding as to what the experience is like. She also has been clear about procedures and expectations...She is very knowledgeable and will even call you on the phone if the wait to see her is too long. She works with a team which has its plusses and minuses. They brainstorm together which helps to come up with a good plan and they can compare experiences against a lot of other patients. It does sometimes feel weird, though, when you go in and have a different doctor do your transfer or retrieval. But I honestly don't mind, because I believe their team to be one of the best around.
[The nurses at Brigham & Women's Hospital] were kind and supportive, much more emotionally present than the doctors. My one frustration is their contact/communication system which is to call and leave them a message and then you have to wait for a call back and you never know when that is coming. I feel like it would be so much easier to have an online message system - both for the nurses and patients.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby is fantastic - just because I have not yet gotten pregnant, I do not blame her. She is very knowledgeable and will even call you on the phone if the wait to see her is too long. She works with a team which has its plusses and minuses. They brainstorm together which helps to come up with a good plan and they can compare experiences against a lot of other patients. It does sometimes feel weird, though, when you go in and have a different doctor do your transfer or retrieval. But I honestly don't mind, because I believe their team to be one of the best around.
I wish she could be more available to each patient, but I also know that she has a ton of patients.
My first two retrievals we started medicine mid-cycle (so I waited until I ovulated and then we started a few days after that.) I apologize as I don't remember the names for all of these treatment strategies. The first cycle didn't produce as many eggs as the second, but neither was successful. I did not get a positive pregnancy test from either. For the third cycle, Dr. Ashby said she wanted to be more aggressive so we started medicine right after my period began. On that cycle, I produced 16 eggs which is great for someone my egg and we fertilized 13. Of those, there were 4 5-day blast embryos. I transferred two in a fresh cycle and then two in a frozen cycle. Again, I did not get positive pregnancy tests from either of those cycles, but I felt like we were headed in the right direction.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I feel like I know the nursing staff much better than the doctor team at this point because they are the ones you interact with every time you come in for blood testing or ultrasounds, etc. They were kind and supportive, much more emotionally present than the doctors. My one frustration is their contact/communication system which is to call and leave them a message and then you have to wait for a call back and you never know when that is coming. I feel like it would be so much easier to have an online message system - both for the nurses and patients.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The clinic is top-rated and I truly believe they are really on top of current research/knowledge etc. I have frustrations that you can't do embryo donation, but that is a Massachusetts thing and not a clinic thing. You do feel a bit like a cog in a machine at times, but that is because they are so successful that they attract so many patients.
I have insurance coverage for the IVF cycles but I still had to make a copay of about $2,000. And the first cycle my pharmacy costs were around $900, but after that they were free.
Because of my age, I was allowed to transfer multiple embryos. The risks were made clear to me, but also the fact that it was unlikely they would all work, so I was happy to give that a try.
Newton

Dr. Yanushpolsky has been awesome so far. She’s thorough, kind, and compassionate. She reassures me and doesn’t mind to take the time to answer all of my questions. She listens to me and plans my treatment accordingly. As a single woman trying to have a baby, it’s easy to lean toward judgement but Dr. Yanushpolsky didn’t seem to mind; she was just as glad to help me.... Dr. Yanushpolsky and I decided to do four rounds of natural IUI
The front desk staff [Brigham & Women's Hospital] are kind and knowledgeable. I had an amazing experience when I went for my first IUI. The medical assistant who checked me in was really nice; she allowed me to be a part of the whole process, and even explained what she was doing along the way. At the end she allowed me and friends view the sperm under the microscope! Very cool!... I paid a little over 200 before the procedure, which was the fee for the doctor. The remained was billed to me- I think around 500 dollars.
How was your experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Yanushpolsky has been awesome so far. She’s thorough, kind, and compassionate. She reassures me and doesn’t mind to take the time to answer all of my questions. She listens to me and plans my treatment accordingly. As a single woman trying to have a baby, it’s easy to lean toward judgement but Dr. Yanushpolsky didn’t seem to mind; she was just as glad to help me. I found the idea of going to an RE intimidating and still do but Dr. Yanushpolsky makes it less stressful. I don’t have any complaints yet but I’ll be sure to update you if things change.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Yanushpolsky is upbeat and tends to move fast- don’t be afraid to ask questions! She’s happy to answer them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She has always been warm and kind. She takes the time to explain everything and it’s easy to get an appointment.
Describe the protocols Elena Yanushpolsky used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Dr. Yanushpolsky and I decided to do four rounds of natural IUI. She explained that because of my age (27) and the results of my blood work/HSG we would try without medication and follow up if I wasn’t pregnant after four cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy C. )
Kathy has been helpful and easy to get a hold of- she always responds promptly to my messages.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The front desk staff are kind and knowledgeable. I had an amazing experience when I went for my first IUI. The medical assistant who checked me in was really nice; she allowed me to be a part of the whole process, and even explained what she was doing along the way. At the end she allowed me and friends view the sperm under the microscope! Very cool!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Elena Yanushpolsky
Boston

It's a large clinic [Brigham] but the doctors are amazing!!! ...Kathy this far has been excellent. However before I was assigned her I did not have a set nurse and that at times was frustrating since I did not have anyone dedicated to me. Once I felt like the nurse who called did not know what was going on and I had to call back to demand more answers. ..Efficient well oiled machine with sign in sheets and call backs
How was your experience with Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Walsh has been great. He is compassionate and attentive to my needs and questions. When things don't work out we have tried others and have done a plethora of tests to ensure all bases were covered (testing chromosomes, clotting factors, endometrial biopsy,etc after 2 CPs. Ensuring my miscarriage had pathology done, doing more tests. Creating a new plan for the next egg retrieval with PGS testing). The one negative would be that sometimes this information and appointments can be overwhelming and I felt like I had to decide to move forward quickly when maybe I'd want a cycle off. I also had my first egg retieval when Dr walsh nurse had retired and I was bounced around by nurses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Just to ensure you always are on top of meds and instructions. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Walsh at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Walsh always takes time for my husband and I. I write down a lot of questions and he always sits patiently and explains and answers all of them. Additionally, I recent had a miscarriage where Dr. Walsh performed the d and c. I'll never forget him holding my hand as I went under.
Describe the protocols Brian Walsh used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
First we began testing. Hormone levels for me, hsg, and hysteroscopy. My husband had 2 sperm analysis done which showed male factor. My husband was also sent to a specialist. We tried clomid for 2 rounds as we were doing testing which did not work based on my husband's male factor issues. Due to mfi we were told ivf was our only option. Since I am borderline on fsh and amh the protocol was semi aggressive with 2 vials menopur and 150 iu follistim which was increased to 225. I stimmed for 13 days and had a duel trigger lupron and HCG. I had 16 eggs, 13 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI. We ended w 3 day 5 embryos of great quality. I did one fresh transfer w crinone that ended in a CP. We next did a natural FET without meds except for crinone support after transfer that also ended in a CP. We decided to try the last FET as a medicated cycle with 3 mg of estrace twice daily (6mg total) and once my lining got to 7mm we added progesterone a few days before the transfer and after. I had a positive beta HCG test 3 times and we set up an 8 wk ultrasound. Unfortunately there was no heartbeat and I had an enlarged placenta. Dr Walsh wanted to do a d and c to determine the cause and to check for a molar pregnancy ( I had high hcg). The results came back that it was NOT molar but the miscarriage was due to trisomy 18. We went into see Dr Walsh for a post on and we discussed next steps which was additional tests to determine any other reason for my 3 miscarriages and another hysteroscopy before we started IVF again. We also discussed PGS, genetic counseling, and higher doses to get more eggs for pgs testing. We will also freeze all day 5 embryos for ogs and do a medicated FET as I preferred the shots to crinone and I had the most successful pregnancy when we did the protocol medicated. I am currently waiting for my ultrasound to start stimulation for egg retrieval. My doses are going up to 3 vials of menopur and 225 iu of gonal f ( and we will bump up to 4 and 300 iu)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy Charbonnier)
Kathy this far has been excellent. However before I was assigned her I did not have a set nurse and that at times was frustrating since I did not have anyone dedicated to me. Once I felt like the nurse who called did not know what was going on and I had to call back to demand more answers. Thankfully someone else called back and addressed it
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
It's a large clinic but the doctors are amazing!!! Just remember to stay on top of them and the nurses and ask lots of questions until you are satisfied. Don't be intimidated by the size or credentials. Do your own research and come prepared.
Efficient well oiled machine with sign in sheets and call backs
Describe Brian Walsh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr Walsh follows SART recommendations and I only have had a single embryo transferred based on quality and age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
On my second CP I requested a second beta after my first was positive. I don't think this was portrayed well and I had to call for results. The nurse I spoke too seemed to not understand and that was when I called back to get answers about my next steps. The medication issue was a mix up either CVS specialty messed up or someone forgot a med. I noticed that cetrotide wasn't there since I was on my second cycle and knew the protocol and had to request it.
Brian Walsh
Boston

Dr. Ginsburg has been very considerate of our desires and our treatment. She has considered all factors, but also been willing to work around situations and numbers. She has explained information thoroughly, and has been available when we've had further questions.... we are doing a complicated reciprocal IVF. She had us meet with maternal fetal medicine due to us both being overweight. She tested both of us thoroughly to help us make the best decision as to who will undergo the egg retrieval and who will undergo the embryo transfer.
The doctors and nursing team [Brigham & Women's Hospital] have been extremely thorough, helpful, and informative. They have taken the time to explain all of our options to us and have considered our needs, wishes, and our future unlike other clinics have. The clerical staff can at times be short and was initially difficult to communicate with, but overall they have improved. This clinic seems to see fewer LGBTQ clients; likely due to the size of the state, so there has been some confusion at times.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ginsburg has been very considerate of our desires and our treatment. She has considered all factors, but also been willing to work around situations and numbers. She has explained information thoroughly, and has been available when we've had further questions. She has been open and flexible and has truly made us feel like she is working with us.
To be sure to ask a lot of questions and to be completely open.
Dr. Ginsburg didn't just look at numbers, she thought about mine and my wife's future. She considered our wishes and worked with us despite some numbers.
We have not yet started our cycle, but we are doing a complicated reciprocal IVF. She had us meet with maternal fetal medicine due to us both being overweight. She tested both of us thoroughly to help us make the best decision as to who will undergo the egg retrieval and who will undergo the embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Carey)
She has been very helpful and informative. She has returned my calls promptly and reached out to Dr. Ginsburg with all of my follow-up questions.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The doctors and nursing team have been extremely thorough, helpful, and informative. They have taken the time to explain all of our options to us and have considered our needs, wishes, and our future unlike other clinics have. The clerical staff can at times be short and was initially difficult to communicate with, but overall they have improved. This clinic seems to see fewer LGBTQ clients; likely due to the size of the state, so there has been some confusion at times.
We have requested multiple embryo transfer. Here, we feel that we are slightly being treated like a number now, but there seems to be some flexibility and willingness to work with us there.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
There was just one blood test that wasn't ordered and had to be repeated.
Boston

Dr. Gargiulo was very personable, kind, and empathetic of my situation. We spoke about my history and I was able to express my concerns surrounding infertility.Dr. Gargiulo is very knowledged and I believe he cares abut the patients outcome as well as their health...He recommended getting a laparoscopy and removing the non communicating horn to prevent future ectopic pregnancies. He made me feel confident in trusting him for next steps. We scheduled a "Laparoscopic Excision of Right Rudimentary Uterine Horn, And Fallopian Tube".
staff [at Brigham and Women's Hospital] along with him [Dr. Gargiulo] were so kind, wonderful, and accommodating from beginning to end. It was a successful procedure and I am pleased with the small and not very noticeable incisions...The clinic itself is a bit small and would run behind on appointments. Most of their staff was pleasant. The office space was a bit cramped but it was overall a great clinic. Location is a bit busy and parking was a bit challenging.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I am a 27 year old female who lives in the DC area who was born with a unicornate uterus with a rudimentary horn. I was diagnosed when I was 22 while I was trying to get to the root of my painful cramps. I had an ectopic pregnancy when I was 23 and wanted to be proactive for future planning. My OB/GYN recommended I have a laparoscopy done to diagnose endometriosis and take a loser took at my abnormal uterus. We did extensive research in efforts to finds a specialist in the area but no luck and since my family lives in Massachusetts we began our search there. We came across a colleague of Dr. Gargiulo and after speaking to his colleague, sending my MRI, and medical records, he stated Dr. Gargiulo would be the best fit to assist. When I met Dr. Gargiulo he was very personable, kind, and empathetic of my situation. We spoke about my history and I was able to express my concerns surrounding infertility. He recommended getting a laparoscopy and removing the non communicating horn to prevent future ectopic pregnancies. He made me feel confident in trusting him for next steps. We scheduled a "Laparoscopic Excision of Right Rudimentary Uterine Horn, And Fallopian Tube". His staff along with him were so kind, wonderful, and accommodating from beginning to end. It was a successful procedure and I am pleased with the small and not very noticeable incisions.
Have questions ready to ask.
We focused on preparing my uterus for fertility. I have not yet began attempting.
not sure
Boston

When with Dr.Ginsburg I always felt Respected and listened to. My question were always anwsered and we always left with a sense of hope!...She will tell you how it is, explain whatever you need explaining. She is very professional and won't sugar coat news...She always had a plan for me and our visits were productive. She advocated for me with my insurance company and listened to my concerns. I never felt pressured into trying medication or doing the next step. I cannot say enough positive things about her!!!
Billing [at Brigham & Women's] was through an app or in office. It was easy to pay but difficult to understand what you were excatly paying for...When I needed off hour support, the fellow on staff was always available. They were professional and caring at all hours of the night...Very busy and you got who you got for your medical procedures. However, all staff at the hospital were great! I always felt confident and comfortable. I was prepared for each step. The scheduling and insurance personnel were easy to work with. I could easily contact them during normal business hours.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Ginsburg at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr Ginsburg knows her stuff! For that reason alone I would recommend her. She will tell you how it is, explain whatever you need explaining. She is very professional and won't sugar coat news. I needed that because I knew I could trust her. She always had a plan for me and our visits were productive. She advocated for me with my insurance company and listened to my concerns. I never felt pressured into trying medication or doing the next step. I cannot say enough positive things about her!!!
Expect honest answers that are not sugar coated.
When with Dr.Ginsburg I always felt Respected and listened to. My question were always anwsered and we always left with a sense of hope! However the clinic is very busy and the nurses in the Weymouth office can make you feel rushed. As long as you advocate for yourself and don't mind repeating info to them, they get the job done!
Leterzole- 3times, 3 different doses. This was supposed to get my body to ovulate. It failed Leterzole (7.5mg) with trigger shot. This made me ovulate but no successful pregnancy IUI- we did not do this because once on injectable medication my response could not be controlled. I would produce more than a few eggs even on a small dose based on my AMH level (15). iVF- we used various injectable medication. I had an egg retrieval that got 28 mature eggs. 16 lasted to day 5. However I had to freeze all because even with my modified trigger shot, I developed a slight case of hyper stimulation. Frozen Egg Transfer- after pills and pio shots, we had a successful transfer. I am currently pregnant from this procedure.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Strengths- they always got right back to me with answers to my questions and/or with next steps. They would listen to me if I advocate for myself and seemed to respect that. Blood and ultrasound was fast and efficient Weakness- often times conversations would be rushed and overwhelming. They never seemed to know my history. The hospital staff in Boston was always caring and did not seem rushed!
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Very busy and you got who you got for your medical procedures. However, all staff at the hospital were great! I always felt confident and comfortable. I was prepared for each step. The scheduling and insurance personnel were easy to work with. I could easily contact them during normal business hours. When I needed off hour support, the fellow on staff was always available. They were professional and caring at all hours of the night.
I paid whatever was not covered by insurance. Billing was through an app or in office. It was easy to pay but difficult to understand what you were excatly paying for
My doctor prefer to do a SET for my safety. We agreed as that was what was covered by insurance and in our best interest.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This happen once. It was a last-minute Rx beci Fed ex lost my package. The off hours fellow was able to fix it.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Fox was compassionate and thoughtful doctor. She was extremely thorough in her workup, and would seek alternative opinions when she felt necessary. I appreciated that she knew her own strengths and weaknesses.... I did multiple protocols with Dr. Fox including the antagonist protocol, VLD lupron protocol, and ULD lupron protocol. She definitely had a rationale for each. The cases are discussed in a IVF committee at Brigham before finalizing your treatment plan.
The clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital] was well run overall. I felt that the size of the clinic was manageable and my wait for testing was always reasonable. They were efficiently run and organized. Having cycled elsewhere, I would say this was an overall excellent place to do IVF.... It is small nursing staff that I got to know well over the years. They always returned phone calls in a timely manner and were helpful. I felt they were organized and I had a great experience.
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She was a great doctor and I would recommend her. She sometimes wavered on decision making, but I always felt she was very clear. I had an overall good experience, even though I did not have a successful pregnancy under her care.
Be prepared to wait. She runs behind often because she is willing to give each and every patient the time that they need. I never felt rushed and she was always willing to answer my questions!
I did multiple protocols with Dr. Fox including the antagonist protocol, VLD lupron protocol, and ULD lupron protocol. She definitely had a rationale for each. The cases are discussed in a IVF committee at Brigham before finalizing your treatment plan. This gave my confidence that there was expert consensus on my plan.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The clinic was well run overall. I felt that the size of the clinic was manageable and my wait for testing was always reasonable. They were efficiently run and organized. Having cycled elsewhere, I would say this was an overall excellent place to do IVF.
Efficient smaller clinic. Overall very well run. No complaints!
Covered by insurance mostly.
Describe Janis Fox's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
They have an algorithm for the number to transfer based on age and number retrieved. This also determines whether you proceed with a day 3 or day 5 transfer.
South Shore

Dr. Ashby said she would transfer 2 if they looked good or 3 if they looked not great. The embryologist said the algorithm they use said to put back 3 ..Dr. Ashby is pretty straight forward, she definitely gives you a dose of reality, but in a compassionate way...My numbers were not good when we met - my FSH was basically 12, and she did not think my chances of getting eggs were great. We discussed considering donor eggs, and tried to help me see that a child that wasn't genetically mine would still be a child worth loving. She also said that she felt IVF cycles might be robbing me of getting pregnant naturally,
The nurses there [Brigham] were also so nice, the doctors were considerate and informative, everything went smoothly...the waiting room is small and cozy, the check-in people (Kim and Alicia) are always there, there are only a couple different US techs, and usually the same woman drawing blood. Familiar faces are nice to see...If you call the nurses line someone always returns your call. They call you with test results usually around lunch time and give you further details.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby is pretty straight forward, she definitely gives you a dose of reality, but in a compassionate way. Prior to seeking her help I had one cycle converted to IUI, and one cycle where I ovulated prematurely when I went in for retrieval of two follicles (both at Boston IVF). My numbers were not good when we met - my FSH was basically 12, and she did not think my chances of getting eggs were great. We discussed considering donor eggs, and tried to help me see that a child that wasn't genetically mine would still be a child worth loving. She also said that she felt IVF cycles might be robbing me of getting pregnant naturally, because I was spending a lot of time to get one egg, which I was already getting each month on my own. I left her office a MESS. My previous doctor had mentioned donor eggs, but had seemed more optimistic about my chances of conceiving with my own eggs. It was definitely a hard conversation to have, but I appreciated her candor. Despite her concerns, Dr. Ashby said she would try her most aggressive approach (Lupron flare) to see if she could wake up my ovaries. It felt like it was going to be a last ditch effort, and if it didn't work, I was likely to stop trying. Well it did work. I stimmed for 18 long days, but they retrieved 4 eggs, all which fertilized and were frozen (my progesterone had spiked so I had to freeze all and wait to transfer in the next cycle). Dr. Ashby was SO happy for me. She said she had hoped for 2, and was amazed I got 4, and they all fertilized. She was newly optimistic for me - and said she would definitely do it again if this time didn't take, based on those results. Ultimately 3 were transferred (4, 7, 10) but none stuck - so we are back at it again next month. But Dr. Ashby is confident now - and said the two larger embryos were really nice - so my chances aren't bad.
Dr. Ashby wants you to succeed in getting pregnant, that is her goal, she is on your side.
Dr. Ashby and her nurses have always spoken to me by name, called me with results on time, returned calls when I had questions, and treated me with compassion. The clinic at Newton - Wellesley is MUCH smaller than Boston IVF, so while there is the 7am ultrasounds with check-in sheet, the waiting room is small and cozy, the check-in people (Kim and Alicia) are always there, there are only a couple different US techs, and usually the same woman drawing blood. Familiar faces are nice to see. Even though it is a hospital, it isn't a very large one, it feels more like a doctors office inside of a medical building. But a very clean, newly renovated one - not like an old crusty one.
We did a lupon flare protocol. BCP for 10 days before cycle, then 300 iu Menupur and diluted Lupron in AM, and 300 iu of Follistim and diluted Lupron in PM. The downreg of Lupron really slowed me down so they could kick as much FSH into me as possible. My follicles grew really slow, then in a day grew 5mm all of sudden. Ultimately I stimmed for 18 days before an Ovidrel trigger and retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
There are multiple nurses - Nancy, Lisa... those are the names I remember. If you call the nurses line someone always returns your call. They call you with test results usually around lunch time and give you further details. Sometimes you need to know what to ask, but they will give you the info you want if you do. Nancy specifically was VERY helpful to me this new cycle - when my first one failed I was really upset and she took the time to talk to me in her office for a few minutes. I have a feeling my husband's company may revise our plan to remove fertility benefits at the end of the year, and this was already October when our first cycle failed. So I was concerned I would have issues completing another cycle before I lost benefits - and she went above and beyond to help me get Dr. Ashby's new plan in place AND insurance approval by the following day! That was CRAZY fast - and because of her we were able to start this new cycle this month so we can get through it before the end of December!
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Brigham Women's is a state of the art hospital, and Partner's Healthcare is at the top of the medical profession. The clinic at Newton Wellesley Hospital in Newton has a small and cozy waiting room, and new and clean medical rooms with new equipment. They can do everything the large clinics can do, but better - they can even do simple procedures in their offices there like the mock transfer or hysteroscopy. You have your surgeries at BWH in Boston, and while when I was there there was construction happening on the floor, the facility itself was perfect. The nurses there were also so nice, the doctors were considerate and informative, everything went smoothly. I actually liked being there :) which matters when you are about to have surgery. Love everything about my experiences at BWH.
the appointment was $645 to meet with the doctor, my meds were about $30k (but that was billed to insurance so I don't know the real cost) my surgery for retrieval was $12k and the transfer was $4,500. I am so fortunate to have had insurance coverage.
We transferred 3 - Dr. Ashby said she would transfer 2 if they looked good or 3 if they looked not great. The embryologist said the algorithm they use said to put back 3 - but the smallest was only 4 cells so I kind of felt like that one was a low chance shot of 'why not?' since the 4th was only 3 cells - it didn't make it to refreezing.
Boston

My uterus was riddled with fibroids, three of which were the size of a small fist; unlike my regular gynecologist, he [Dr. Gargiulo] never suggested a hysterectomy. His entire focus was to preserve my uterus...He took the time to remove more tumors than originally planned and, when he discovered adhesions holding my ovaries and fallopian tubes to the pelvic wall, removed them. He accelerated my post-op appointment by a few days
Dr. Gargiulo's surgical coordinator [Brigham & Women's Hospital] is outstanding. I live in Virginia, which presented challenges to obtaining care in Boston. The surgical coordinator accommodated my situation flawlessly. She planned all of my pre-op appointments across the hospital for a single afternoon... All but one of the nurses were compassionate and patient, even when I was admittedly cranky and brusque.... All appointments, surgery and medicine were covered by my insurance
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Gargiulo had performed a myomectomy for one of my friends several years earlier. When I was diagnosed with multiple fibroids, she asked him whether he would consider consulting with me long distance (I reside in Virginia). He immediately said yes and provided his email address. We discussed my case via email and he ordered an MRI, which I obtained locally. He requested that I send a disc with the images so that he could evaluate my condition himself, rather than relying on the radiologist's report. He provided an assessment and recommendation (all remotely at no cost) but didn't pressure me to travel to Boston or make a decision. After nine months' hesitation, I opted to move forward with surgery (laparoscopic robotic myomectomy). Dr. Gargiulo never criticized or commented on the delay, other than ordering a new MRI to ensure that he fully understood the fibroids current state. He and his staff quickly arranged both a half-day of pre-op appointments across the hospital (so that I would only have to be in Boston for one day) and a surgery date. When I finally met Dr. Gargiulo in person, he was welcoming, kind and cheerful. He walked me through the MRI images and thoroughly explained what the surgery would entail and possible additional elective procedures (but with no pressure to authorize them). My uterus was riddled with fibroids, three of which were the size of a small fist; unlike my regular gynecologist, he never suggested a hysterectomy. His entire focus was to preserve my uterus, even though at my age a spontaneous pregnancy is extremely unlikely. On the day of surgery, he stopped in to chat during my prep (he hadn't even changed into scrubs yet), spoke with my mother immediately after surgery, and came back once I was reasonably coherent. He took the time to remove more tumors than originally planned and, when he discovered adhesions holding my ovaries and fallopian tubes to the pelvic wall, removed them. He accelerated my post-op appointment by a few days so that I could return to Virginia more quickly (though I am certain he would have requested I stay had I not been healing well). During that appointment, he went over all of my surgery's details, offered images of the procedure and discussed potential pregnancy options. At all times, he was kind, thorough, patient and positive. He never condescended or tried to rush me; he never tried to badger me into making a particular choice.
Don't hesitate to ask questions via email or in person. He will answer all of them completely and in a timely fashion.
I live in Virginia. A friend in Boston recommended Dr. Gargiulo to me. He and his staff went out of their way to accommodate me as an out-of-state patient. Dr. Gargiulo and each member of his staff and surgical team were kind, thoughtful and thoroughly familiar with my personal circumstances, while being both extremely efficient and flexible. I dithered regarding surgery for nine months, with no pressure from Dr. Gargiulo. Once I made up my mind, he and his staff went into fifth gear to make it happen on the timeline that best suited my personal (long-distance) circumstances.
I only pursued removal of fibroid tumors. Dr. Gargiulo wanted a current MRI to ensure that he fully understood the landscape before arriving in the O.R. Because I had delayed making a decision for almost nine months, that meant getting a second set of images. I have good insurance so it wasn't an issue. He predicted he would remove the three largest tumors but ended up taking out seven, which together weighed almost a pound and were five times the size of my uterus. My menstrual cycle is no longer debilitating; my abdomen has returned to being flat; and I've lost about 8 lbs (taking my rather old body back to what I weighed 25 years ago!). If I choose to become pregnant, Dr. Gargiulo strongly recommended I deliver via C-section.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
All but one of the nurses were compassionate and patient, even when I was admittedly cranky and brusque. My bladder didn't "wake up" properly after surgery. The post-op nurses stayed well into the early evening to give my body time to right itself, and tried every trick to get my bladder functioning. Unfortunately, nothing worked so, in order to be released from the hospital rather than staying overnight, I had to agree to retaining the catheter. By the next afternoon when I returned to Dr. Gargiulo's clinic to see whether the catheter could be removed, I was not the most pleasant person. (Whatever anyone else says, I can affirm that a catheter is really uncomfortable!) The nurses and the P.A. were nonetheless kind and calm. They acknowledged my discomfort -- which one post-op nurse had downplayed, really ticking me off. I greatly appreciated their willingness to recognize that the catheter was causing pain, and the true sympathy they showed. That type of care makes all the difference.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Gargiulo's surgical coordinator is outstanding. I live in Virginia, which presented challenges to obtaining care in Boston. The surgical coordinator accommodated my situation flawlessly. She planned all of my pre-op appointments across the hospital for a single afternoon (I could have flown home that evening had I wanted to); and provided a surgery date during the winter holiday season that ensured Dr. Gargiulo could do my post-op check-up at the 10-day mark, allowing me to return to Virginia and trim expenses (we stayed in an Air BnB about a half-mile from BWH). The surgical coordinator was very responsive by both phone and email. I didn't see any clinic weaknesses but I likely had less interaction than patients with more complex fertility issues.
All appointments, surgery and medicine were covered by my insurance with relatively small co-pays (combined, less than $600). I did notice on a co-pay statement that the stated non-negotiated cost for the laparoscopic robotic myomectomy was $61,000.
Boston

Because Dr. Hornstein may not be actually doing your procedure, make sure you have really discussed and agreed on important things like numbers of eggs to transfer before you get to the implantation day...The second and third rounds were far more aggressive than the first and produced many more eggs and embryos. The third round led to the most eggs and embryos and had some to freeze. I did a fresh transfer after each round of IVF. Had a successful pregnancy with a FET, which was the fourth transfer.
She [nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital] was very responsive by email and phone...The ultrasounds monitoring appointment were started before 7am. It is first come, first served and operated pretty efficiently...It's around $8K - $12K out of pocket per IVF cycle depending on your treatment plan. That does not include meds...is a large hospital. The hours for the labs and ultrasounds were very accommodating. The parking lot across the street is reasonable, and it's also close to the T. You will often find out lab results through their patient portal hours after the tests and before they call you.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Hornstein very patiently answered our many questions when we met with him in person. He always treated us with kindness and care. His nurse answers most of the day to day questions by email or phone .
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Make sure you know your treatment plan and know what the next steps are. The doctors and nurses at B&W are all good at their specific roles, but the communication between them can sometimes be missing. Because Dr. Hornstein may not be actually doing your procedure, make sure you have really discussed and agreed on important things like numbers of eggs to transfer before you get to the implantation day.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
The office was very responsive to emails and calls. My primary nurse was very good.
Describe the protocols Mark Hornstein used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Three rounds of Antagonist protocol. The second and third rounds were far more aggressive than the first and produced many more eggs and embryos. The third round led to the most eggs and embryos and had some to freeze. I did a fresh transfer after each round of IVF. Had a successful pregnancy with a FET, which was the fourth transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Dr. Hornstein's primary nurse, Barbara, is awesome! She was very responsive by email and phone.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Brigham and Women's is a large hospital. The hours for the labs and ultrasounds were very accommodating. The parking lot across the street is reasonable, and it's also close to the T. You will often find out lab results through their patient portal hours after the tests and before they call you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Some was covered by insurance. It's around $8K - $12K out of pocket per IVF cycle depending on your treatment plan. That does not include meds.
Describe Mark Hornstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
He helped us make an informed decision based on risk and insurance coverage.
Mark Hornstein
Boston
Before my last retrieval Dr. Ashby made sure to explore my feelings about multiples and explain the risks involved...In our first visit, she brought up my weight in a way that didn't blame or shame me. It motivated me and I got to work. Even if I hadn't been able to address it, she would not have withheld treatment. I felt much better prepared and supported through treatment than I had at previous practice in terms of being grounded in the numbers for my age.
I have gotten to know Judy, Nanci and Lisa [nurses at Brigham & Women's Hospital] quite well. They are professional, kind and responsive. Sometimes it can be confusing knowing who you talked to about what but the coordination of care is leaps and bounds ahead of the first practice I cycled with. Things are by no means perfect...Nothing has gone wrong but sometimes it is hard to keep everyone on the same page with adjustments that are out of the ordinary. In general, managing IVF requires hypervigilance on the part of the patient.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
We haven't gotten our baby yet but I am confident that in the course of my treatment, no stone will be left unturned. She is known for having conceived and delivered her twins through IVF. That edge is what sealed the deal for me but the case was already pretty strong. When we were looking to switch practices, we asked around and she was recommended to us by friends who have a 1 year old son. They also experienced a previous loss and an early miscarriage with Dr. Ashby and described feeling very well cared for and supported.
No practice or physician is perfect - the important thing is finding a clinician whose style matches your needs. She is very in demand but if you need extra time and attention, she will accommodate you. Dr. Ashby is positive and forward moving but not one to sugar coat things. For me, that is a positive but everyone is different.
She is gives difficult to swallow information in a compassionate way. In our first visit, she brought up my weight in a way that didn't blame or shame me. It motivated me and I got to work. Even if I hadn't been able to address it, she would not have withheld treatment. I felt much better prepared and supported through treatment than I had at previous practice in terms of being grounded in the numbers for my age. After miscarrying a PGS normal embryo she was empathetic and said what I needed to hear. "If you wanted to quit, you came to the wrong doctor. I've just started to fight."
My 1st retrieval with another practice was antagonist. I got 5 blasts but it was absolute torture and was switched to freeze all because I was at risk for OHSS. My 1st cycle (2nd overall retrieval) with Dr. Ashby was also antagonist. It was also torture - though not as bad. The results were abyssmal - 1 full day 5 blast and two morulas were transferred. My 2nd cycle with Dr. Ashby (3rd overall retrieval) was an agonist micro flare protocol. It produced 5 day 5 embryos and 1 day 6 embryo. We did PGS and had 1 PGS normal, 1 mosaic and 4 abnormals. We are starting stims for the next cycle later this week with the same micro flare protocol starting with slightly higher doses of gonal and menopur. Results TBD.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Nanci)
I have gotten to know Judy, Nanci and Lisa quite well. They are professional, kind and responsive. Sometimes it can be confusing knowing who you talked to about what but the coordination of care is leaps and bounds ahead of the first practice I cycled with. Things are by no means perfect - because let's face it, as much of a privilege and miracle the IVF is, it also totally blows even under the best of circumstances.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This is high volume practice with some of the most in demand clinicians in a market with no shortage of REs. It helps to know the in and outs of the process to know what questions and clarifications to ask for. You need to be okay with not having your doctor for procedures. My friend who has another RE at the Brigham has had my doctor for more procedures than I have. That said, from retrievals to transfers to D&Es - all of the doctors that have treated me have been compassionate and professional. Sometimes it is stressful to have to make high stakes decisions without the person you know and trust in the room but I come away from each experience with the feeling I was in good hands.
Other than PGS, my care has been covered by insurance.
We only had one PGS normal to work with so we went with that. We opted not to transfer the mosaic with a normal. If we had had two normals, with the prognosis for my age we probably would have been advised and opted to transfer more than one so that we could move to the next retrieval since time is of the essence. Before my last retrieval Dr. Ashby made sure to explore my feelings about multiples and explain the risks involved.
Boston
We used antagonist protocol [with Dr. Janis Fox], and I had a very good response both cycles I did...was aggressive with how many we transferred, so we did 3 embryos for 4 of my transfers, and 2 for the last (only had 2 remaining)... thankfully, she was able to do both of my egg retrievals...was very thorough, made sure I understood everything, and was compassionate at the same time. She was very positive through the whole experience, even though she was real about the data given my age...has a practical approach to treatment. She is compassionate and understanding, and made me feel hopeful and at ease the whole way through. She never gave me false hope, and kept the data real, but she did give me confidence in going forward with a second cycle after the first failed.
I went through a few different nurses while receiving treatment with Dr. Fox [at Brigham & Women's Hospital] over a 2 year period. It would have been nice to have just one and get to know them better. Of all the nurses, I didn't really love any of them, but they all were fine and did their job well...The first nurse I had with Dr. Fox failed to do one important blood test that was required before we could start, so it set me back a month...[monitoring was a] pretty easy process- you were given a "window" of time, early morning, which worked well for me...The clinic has multiple doctors, which to me was good and bad. Good since if you needed a quick procedure and my dr. wasn't available, someone else could step in to do it. Bad because I didn't always get my doctor for my important procedures (transfers), though thankfully, she was able to do both of my egg retrievals.
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Fox is highly intelligent, and has a practical approach to treatment. She is compassionate and understanding, and made me feel hopeful and at ease the whole way through. She never gave me false hope, and kept the data real, but she did give me confidence in going forward with a second cycle after the first failed.
Trust her method!
Dr. Fox was very thorough, made sure I understood everything, and was compassionate at the same time. She was very positive through the whole experience, even though she was real about the data given my age.
We used antagonist protocol, and I had a very good response both cycles I did.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
I went through a few different nurses while receiving treatment with Dr. Fox over a 2 year period. It would have been nice to have just one and get to know them better. Of all the nurses, I didn't really love any of them, but they all were fine and did their job well.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This was completely covered by insurance. I only had to pay Dr. visit copays, and a portion of the prescription fertility meds.
Dr. Fox was aggressive with how many we transferred, so we did 3 embryos for 4 of my transfers, and 2 for the last (only had 2 remaining).