Genetic counseling: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
3551 Roger Brooke Dr.
Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234
210-916-7500
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Brooke Army Medical Center to a friend?

5.2

5.3

2019 - 2020
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She [Dr. Belinda Yauger] does not order labs to check vitamin levels...Ovidrel was to be the trigger shot; however, my cycle was canceled before that...is in and out of the room as quick as possible and does not explain anything. My very first fertility appointment ever, she mentioned follicles - I did not know what that was yet, gave me zero hope of ever getting pregnant again, and said I could not do IVF. She never shows the screen for vaginal ultrasounds and only speaks to the resident and nurse while doing so and again, explains nothing.
The nursing staff [at Brooke Army Medical Center] would have gotten all excellent reviews from me; however, there is one that runs me the wrong way every time I speak to her!...Kristin is the head REI nurse and so compassionate and knowledgeable!...Dependent on patient's age, quality of embryo, and 3 or 5 day transfer, they will sometimes transfer 2 at the patient's discretion...I have had issues with correct labs being ordered, timely ultrasounds, and all day delay in RX being sent to the pharmacy.
2019 - 2020
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Belinda Yauger at Brooke Army Medical Center?
My very first fertility appointment ever, Dr. Yauger mentioned follicles - I did not know what that was yet (I'd only ever heard of hair follicles), gave me zero hope of ever getting pregnant again, and said I could not do IVF. She never shows the screen for vaginal ultrasounds and only speaks to the resident and nurse while doing so and again, explains nothing. Dr. Y will often bring in a resident or student with her. A few times she has asked if that's okay, but usually does not. Sadly, though she is the highest ranking of the 3 doctors currently in the BAMC REI dept, she seems the least knowledgeable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Belinda Yauger at Brooke Army Medical Center?
Do your own research!!! From speaking to several other women, patients are given cookie cutter treatment. She does not order labs to check vitamin levels (many women are deficient in several vitamins and more is needed than avg numbers for fertility). She is clueless about the treatment for the mthfr gene mutation. I've been researching my own condition for 6-7 years. Not every doctor can know every one thing, but I wish I had saved my money, spent a little extra and gone to a real fertility clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Belinda Yauger at Brooke Army Medical Center?
Dr. Y is in and out of the room as quick as possible and does not explain anything. My very first fertility appointment ever, she mentioned follicles - I did not know what that was yet, gave me zero hope of ever getting pregnant again, and said I could not do IVF. She never shows the screen for vaginal ultrasounds and only speaks to the resident and nurse while doing so and again, explains nothing.
Describe the protocols Belinda Yauger used in your cycles at Brooke Army Medical Center and their degree of success.
For my canceled IVF cycle I did 10 lupron a.m. and p.m. 300 follistim a.m. and 3 vials of menopur p.m. Ovidrel was to be the trigger shot; however, my cycle was canceled before that. My 2 (failed) IUI'S were with Dr. Lewis, but for both I took letrozole for 5 nights and did 75 follistim for 2 days, triggered with Ovidrel.
The nursing staff would have gotten all excellent reviews from me; however, there is one that runs me the wrong way every time I speak to her! Aside from her (Yalonda), Kristin, Sandy, Eileen, Rena, and nurse Rodriguez are just the sweetest! Kristin is the head REI nurse and so compassionate and knowledgeable!
Describe your experience with Brooke Army Medical Center.
The only strength is the kindness of 80% of the staff. I would say if you're local and on Tricare, go ahead and try the free IUI (covered by a grant). Know that they will NOT do IUI appts on weekends or holidays (they will with IVF though). For IVF, go elsewhere. Don't bothering travelling in from out of town and hanging out for 2 weeks. Though it is discounted from real fertility clinics, it is still about $7500. Many clinics will do military discounts and there are discount programs for the meds. They do not do pgs testing here (which is expensive) but will do icsi. They have recently started doing frozen transfers more often.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Brooke Army Medical Center.
Monitoring appts were far from convenient! For some working women it might be great, but for myself, having to beg and plead with neighbors to watch my one child at 5:20am so I could be there at 6 for labs, and wait around over 1.5 hours for an ultrasound was NOT well-timed for me. I was told that was so labs would be available by the time of ultrasound. Makes sense except most of the time, my labs were not ready yet. Pre-covid, you would rush in to REI, put your name on a FCFS list, go upstairs to get your lab drawn, then at 7:30 you would wait around to be called in order of arrival. During/post covid they are having us do 6am lab then going to REI dept for a scheduled ultrasound at 7:30/8/8:30/9....
Describe the costs associated with your care under Belinda Yauger at Brooke Army Medical Center.
IUI at bamc/sammc is free, covered through a grant. Tricare does not cover fertility expenses; however, IVF has a portion covered by a grant (I think the meds), so it is about $7500 which includes meds, monitoring, egg retrieval, icsi, implanting embryos, and 1 year of embryo storage at Fertility Center of San Antonio. That is also who payment is made to.
Describe Belinda Yauger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brooke Army Medical Center.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brooke Army Medical Center.
I cannot say much because it would give away my identity. I have had issues with correct labs being ordered, timely ultrasounds, and all day delay in RX being sent to the pharmacy.
Belinda Yauger
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Belinda Yauger at Brooke Army Medical Center.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
It’s not that Dr. Adams isn’t nice. I just feel like she didn’t know anything about my medical history. She didn’t show me the screen during follicle checks. Never explained my labs or where she wanted the numbers to be. ... You must be assertive concerning your care. I also hope you have a thick skin because I think she commented on my weight at every appointment I had with her. ... If this had been my first experience with fertility treatment, I would have been totally lost about what was going on.
The REI clinic and Brooke Army Medical Center is nice for military affiliated patients because IUI is free there and IVF is significantly reduced. Medications are included free of charge through a grant program for all services. But honestly, I think the care overall is sub-par. ... There was a time they forgot to put the orders in for my labs that were to be completed at 6:00 AM. I had to go sit in the clinic and wait until 7:30 AM when a nurse arrives to put the orders in.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Jaye Adams at Brooke Army Medical Center?
It’s not that Dr. Adams isn’t nice. I just feel like she didn’t know anything about my medical history. She didn’t show me the screen during follicle checks. Never explained my labs or where she wanted the numbers to be. If this had been my first experience with fertility treatment, I would have been totally lost about what was going on.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jaye Adams at Brooke Army Medical Center?
Be ready to do your own research about treatments and labs. You must be assertive concerning your care. I also hope you have a thick skin because I think she commented on my weight at every appointment I had with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jaye Adams at Brooke Army Medical Center?
Appointments felt very rushed. I feel like she didn’t know anything about me at my appointments.
Describe the protocols Jaye Adams used in your cycles at Brooke Army Medical Center and their degree of success.
I did one IUI cycle with letrozole 7.5 mg daily. I had one mature follicle for insemination. Not successful. Then there were two cycles with the same protocol, but were converted to TI because of the holidays and limitations of the clinic. I then did two IUI cycles with 7.5 mg letrozole CD 5-9 and Follistim 75 units CD 10-13. One cycle still resulted in only one mature follicle and the other, two mature for insemination. Both unsuccessful. All three IUI cycles were done with Ovidrel trigger as well.
The nursing staff was fine. They were nice enough, but I wouldn’t say they were “excellent.” I didn’t have too much interaction with the nurses, though.
Describe your experience with Brooke Army Medical Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jaye Adams at Brooke Army Medical Center.
There is no cost for IUI at BAMC. Medications are included as we’ll. Only military connected patients can be seen here.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brooke Army Medical Center.
There was a time they forgot to put the orders in for my labs that were to be completed at 6:00 AM. I had to go sit in the clinic and wait until 7:30 AM when a nurse arrives to put the orders in. There was a time Dr. Adams told me follicle sizes that differed from what she told me at my next follicle check.
Jaye Adams
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jaye Adams at Brooke Army Medical Center.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
He [Dr. Terrence Lewis] was willing to transfer 2 if I had them but I only had one embryo to work with...He would remember things about my history that we had previously talked about and also knew my husband and I by name when we saw him walking in the hospital...Very knowledgeable about the fertility options and what he felt was best for me He also was very blunt with what I should expect because IVF is very expensive and he allowed me to choose between IUI and IVF at the end when he said I would most likely only have 1 embryo to work with.
Everyone [at Brooke Army Medical Center] was really nice and willing to answer any questions when I called...I paid about $6,000 for IVF with ICSI, since I'm covered by Tricare and the Dr. Lewis is a military doctor...I liked that it was small and intimate. I feel like they were very organized...I wish they offered IVF more than 3 times per year. I am currently pregnant from my last IVF but I know that a lot of people wish they could get more opportunities to do IVF through the year.
Latino, Black or African-American, Native American
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Terrence Lewis at Brooke Army Medical Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Terrence Lewis at Brooke Army Medical Center?
Write down all of your questions prior to the visit and he will be sure to answer them all before you leave.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Terrence Lewis at Brooke Army Medical Center?
Describe the protocols Terrence Lewis used in your cycles at Brooke Army Medical Center and their degree of success.
I was on the max doses of Gonal-F, Menepur, and Lupron with trigger shot
Everyone was really nice and willing to answer any questions when I called.
Describe your experience with Brooke Army Medical Center.
I liked that it was small and intimate. I feel like they were very organized. They communicated very well through email and answered when I called to ask additional questions. I wish they offered IVF more than 3 times per year. I am currently pregnant from my last IVF but I know that a lot of people wish they could get more opportunities to do IVF through the year.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Terrence Lewis at Brooke Army Medical Center.
Describe Terrence Lewis's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brooke Army Medical Center.
He was willing to transfer 2 if I had them but I only had one embryo to work with.
Terrence Lewis
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Royster did not always show me the screen during ultrasound checks or explain what he was seeing. He didn’t explain my lab results or where he would like them to be. Dr. Royster was nice enough, but I don’t feel like he spent enough time explaining things. ... Dr. Royster did many of my follicle checks for two TI cycles and three IUI cycles, though he did not perform the actual IUIs himself. ... Be ready to do some Google research because things will not be explained well. ...
Clinic operates for military affiliated patients at a free/reduced cost. Very early morning labs required (by 6:00 AM) then sitting around for 1.5 hours for clinic to open to do follicle checks. Everything feels very rushed. ... IUI is free at Brooke Army Medical Center for eligible patients and IVF is significantly reduced. Medications are included free of charge for both through a grant program.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Greene (Don) Royster at Brooke Army Medical Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Greene (Don) Royster at Brooke Army Medical Center?
Be ready to do some Google research because things will not be explained well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Greene (Don) Royster at Brooke Army Medical Center?
Appointments felt very rushed.
Describe the protocols Greene (Don) Royster used in your cycles at Brooke Army Medical Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Royster did many of my follicle checks for two TI cycles and three IUI cycles, though he did not perform the actual IUIs himself. He had me taking 7.5 mg letrozole CD 5-9 for the TI intercourse cycles, both unsuccessful. I did one IUI cycle with 7.5 mg letrozole CD 5-9 and two with letrozole 7.5 mg CD 5-9 and 75 units Follistim CD 10-13. All unsuccessful IUIs.
The nursing staff was fine. They were nice enough, but not overly nice. I did not have a lot of nurse interaction overall.
Describe your experience with Brooke Army Medical Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Greene (Don) Royster at Brooke Army Medical Center.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brooke Army Medical Center.
One morning I showed up for my labs before 6:00 AM and there were no orders in. I had to go sit in the clinic for an hour and half and wait for the nurse to arrive to put the order in.
Greene (Don) Royster
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Greene (Don) Royster at Brooke Army Medical Center.

He [Dr. Royster] is the most caring infertility doctor I have encountered. He was always more than willing to answer and fully explain his answers to any questions I had. He has a way of putting your mind at ease and it is easy to trust him...the time limit you have with him at your monitoring appointments is not his choice. Schedule a one on one and let him know you need more time to answer questions or concerns.
Monitoring appointments are very much like a cattle call. Everyone for that day is told to be there at the same time for labs and then you sit in the waiting room [at Brooke Army Medical Center] to be called back 3 at a time for monitoring....Nurses are amazing! I always felt like they were just as invested in our infertility journey as we were....The clinic has a very rushed feeling. Be prepared to be there REALLY early on monitoring days and know you will only have a few minutes with the doctor to discuss results. When you call the clinic you you will have to leave a message on the answering service which is frustrating but they are very good about calling you back before the end of the day.
He is the most caring infertility doctor I have encountered. He was always more than willing to answer and fully explain his answers to any questions I had. He has a way of putting your mind at ease and it is easy to trust him.
Understand that the time limit you have with him at your monitoring appointments is not his choice. Schedule a one on one and let him know you need more time to answer questions or concerns.
He definitely knows how to treat you like a human but unfortunately the clinic pushes so many patients through at a time you become just a number.
We used Lupron, Menopur, and Follistim for stims. Ovidrel for egg release and PIO for transfer.
Describe your experience with Brooke Army Medical Center.
Monitoring appointments are very much like a cattle call. Everyone for that day is told to be there at the same time for labs and then you sit in the waiting room to be called back 3 at a time for monitoring.
IVF was $7000 including meds, IUI is free and no charge for meds.
Greene (Don) Royster

Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. Saunders] showed that she cared and I felt comfortable with her. Not like a random patient but like a patient she cares about... She thoroughly explained what is going on and always asked if I had questions. If I did she listened and answered.she made sure I understood What she told me. She spoke in understandable terms. She has a pleasant demeanor... If you don't understand let her know. She'll definitely take her time to ensure you get it
Its always clean and comfortable. The exam rooms [Brooke Army Medical Center] are always clean. One area of improvement is to have more chairs in the waiting area during IVF season. Since some patients bring more than 1 person with them it gets a little crowded... They [nurses] are amazing. Everyone remembered my name and consoled me after my miscarriage. When ever I go in I get hugs and well wishes... All I paid for were costs associated with egg retrieval. Meds and everything else were covered
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Rhiana Saunders at Brooke Army Medical Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rhiana Saunders at Brooke Army Medical Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rhiana Saunders at Brooke Army Medical Center?
She showed that she cared and I felt comfortable with her. Not like a random patient but like a patient she cares about
They are amazing. Everyone remembered my name and consoled me after my miscarriage. When ever I go in I get hugs and well wishes
Describe your experience with Brooke Army Medical Center.
Its improved since my first time there. Its always clean and comfortable. The exam rooms are always clean. One area of improvement is to have more chairs in the waiting area during IVF season. Since some patients bring more than 1 person with them it gets a little crowded
Within a certain time there was a first come first serve sign in sheet
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rhiana Saunders at Brooke Army Medical Center.
Rhiana Saunders
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Rhiana Saunders at Brooke Army Medical Center.

[Dr. Rhiana Saunders is] Extremely compassionate and caring; answered all of my questions and went above and beyond to be sure we were comfortable with the process of our treatment every step of the way. Explored options with us to help us make the best decisions for our family.... [The nursing staff were] Organized, efficient, and kind. Compassionate during emotional process
[Brooke Army Medical Center has a] Waiting room with chairs and tv, wait usually an hour after labs were drawn to start monitoring ultrasounds. Be patient with appropriate expectations.... $7,000 for cycle and fees. Medications covered by insurance.... [The nursing staff were] Organized, efficient, and kind. Compassionate during emotional process
European, Other
How was your experience with Rhiana Saunders at Brooke Army Medical Center?
Could not recommend her more highly.
All questions were answered; everything explained thoroughly
Organized, efficient, and kind. Compassionate during emotional process
$7,000 for cycle and fees. Medications covered by insurance.
Rhiana Saunders
+ Read more- Read less

Knowledgeable doctor about fertility issues. She [Dr. Jaye Adams] was gentle during the testing and procedure. Straightforward. Just too busy and treated you like another number not a person. Scheduled my iui too late after ovulation....Didn’t get to pick appointments. Last minute changes were frequent. Doctor too busy to see me and had to reschedule at times.
Military clinic [Brooke Army Medical Center]; treats for numbers not compassion; hard to get scheduled for IUI. IVF is the focus of the clinic. Prices go up every year for lower quality service and less doctors. You will often be told doctors are too busy and to wait until next cycle...Clinic only does single [embryo transfer]...Didn’t get to pick appointments. Last minute changes were frequent. Doctor too busy to see me and had to reschedule at times.
How was your experience with Jaye Adams at Brooke Army Medical Center?
Knowledgeable doctor about fertility issues. She was gentle during the testing and procedure. Straightforward. Just too busy and treated you like another number not a person. Scheduled my iui too late after ovulation.
Speak up.
Describe your experience with Brooke Army Medical Center.
Military clinic; treats for numbers not compassion; hard to get scheduled for IUI. IVF is the focus of the clinic. Prices go up every year for lower quality service and less doctors. You will often be told doctors are too busy and to wait until next cycle.
Describe Jaye Adams's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brooke Army Medical Center.
Clinic only does single.