6.8

70 W. Gore St
Orlando, FL 32806
407-244-5515

2020, Consult
I ended up having my consultation with Dr.Rose via zoom. ... Dr.Rose was incredibly knowledgeable and did a fantastic job of reassuring me that his expertise could be trusted. ... Dr.Rose asked me questions, considered my emotional state as well as physical health, and let me actively participate in the consultation. ... He spent almost 2 hours on the call and maintained such an upbeat positive attitude the entire time. By the end of the consult I felt like he had been my doctor for years and felt very comfortable and excited about establishing with him.
I’ve not been to the clinic [Brown Fertility] in person but scheduling a consult was a very easy process. They always answer phones and we’re very thorough in walking me through the steps involved in the phone consult. Someone even called me 5 mins before my appointment was scheduled to begin just to make sure I was able to connect to the app and see if I needed any help.
How was your experience with Bruce Rose at Brown Fertility?
I ended up having my consultation with Dr.Rose via zoom. This was due to the pandemic but is also a service they regularly offer to patients who are far away from offices. Dr.Rose was incredibly knowledgeable and did a fantastic job of reassuring me that his expertise could be trusted. He spent almost 2 hours on the call and maintained such an upbeat positive attitude the entire time. By the end of the consult I felt like he had been my doctor for years and felt very comfortable and excited about establishing with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bruce Rose at Brown Fertility?
Do not hesitate to ask questions. He was so patient and knowledgeable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bruce Rose at Brown Fertility?
Describe the protocols Bruce Rose used in your cycles at Brown Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr.Rose specializes in IVM -invitro maturation. There is not a lot of research on IVM and not a lot of doctors offer this. Dr.Rose felt confident that this would be a good option for me due to my extremely high AMH and risk of OHSS.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brown Fertility.
I only had email and phone communication with the nurses but they were all friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
I’ve not been to the clinic in person but scheduling a consult was a very easy process. They always answer phones and we’re very thorough in walking me through the steps involved in the phone consult. Someone even called me 5 mins before my appointment was scheduled to begin just to make sure I was able to connect to the app and see if I needed any help.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bruce Rose at Brown Fertility.
A consultation with Dr.Rose is only $100 if you are self pay. This was very reasonable compared to other clinics. Dr.Rose is the only doctor in the practice to offer IVM, which comes in at under 10k. This treatment isn’t for everyone but obviously a much more affordable alternative to regular IVF if you are a good candidate.
Describe Bruce Rose's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brown Fertility.
Bruce Rose
Jacksonville

I found [Dr. Rafael Cabrera] to be pessimistic, and did not show much compassion as he delivered what was the hardest medical diagnosis I have ever received to date... threw statistics at me about how I had less than a 5% chance of getting pregnant without explaining other options I had other than donor eggs...did not give me any hope...I would have appreciated more compassion and a better bed side manner...
The clinic [Brown Fertility] is in downtown Orlando, a central location, which is appreciated and easy to access across Florida...a little sterile feeling...Weaknesses would be billing- I still am getting bills, after my insurance said the diagnostic testing should be completely covered...[Dr. Cabrera] did not show much compassion...threw statistics at me about how I had less than a 5% chance of getting pregnant without explaining other options I had other than donor eggs.
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
I found this doctor to be pessimistic, and did not show much compassion as he delivered what was the hardest medical diagnosis I have ever received to date. He did not give me any hope and told me that my only chance was with donor eggs. (My second opinion dr disagreed completely, especially since Age is on my side still). I would have appreciated more compassion and a better bed side manner.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
I would recommend going somewhere else and see someone who is willing to fight for your case and for you to have a child. There are many doctors who specialize in DOR, and who are hopeful and don’t put you in a box. Find that dr!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
He first and only threw statistics at me about how I had less than a 5% chance of getting pregnant without explaining other options I had other than donor eggs.
Describe the protocols Rafael Cabrera used in your cycles at Brown Fertility and their degree of success.
We didn’t get that far into treatment but once he reviewed my amh and fsh he immediately said donor eggs was my best option and that IvF would be unsuccessful. I ended up leaving this clinic to get a second opinion.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brown Fertility.
In the little interaction I did have they showed compassion and care for me as I was very emotional in their office.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
The clinic itself was a little sterile feeling (at least compared to another one i went to after). The clinic is in downtown Orlando, a central location, which is appreciated and easy to access across Florida. Weaknesses would be billing- I still am getting bills, after my insurance said the diagnostic testing should be completely covered.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility.
I had to pay out of pocket for my consultation, blood work, genetic testing (approx $200), and HSG. I’d say in all I spent around $500-700.
Describe Rafael Cabrera's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brown Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brown Fertility.
I was waiting for my blood work results to come in and for the office to call me to schedule a follow up appointment to review them. I waited a few weeks and still no call, so I called the office and spoke with a nurse who looked over my results and told me that “no news is good news.” So I asked, “so you’re saying everything is good since I didn’t hear back with a call?” She said, “yes, you can say that.” The day of my appointment came and i was in for the shock of my life as the dr told me that my blood work results were not good and he proceeded to tell me that I had Diminished ovarian reserve, would not be successful having my own child, and that I would be in menopause by age 40. Devastating and completely surprised since the nurse told me everything looked good.
Jacksonville

I do feel as though he provided false hope for a "quick" pregnancy. He told us we were an "easy" case and would be pregnant in no longer than 4 months. What a joke. ... Dr. Brown, in our consult, told me to stop taking all my vitamins and metformin ( I have PCOS). I was hesitant but wanted to trust my doctor, so I did. He said he would prescribe me the exact same dosage of Femera as my OBGYN (5 mg) and told me in our consult I would be prescribed dexamethasone as well after I mentioned it.
Only certain locations [Brown Fertility] offer certain procedures so just because they have many locations does not mean you can actually go there. ... You will never have the same nurse and you will probably never see an actual doctor. ... Secretaries who were supposed to return calls and never would ... They have forgotten to call in prescriptions ... Go somewhere else if you want quality care and attentive doctors because that is not the service provided here.
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
Samuel Brown was great! The one time I saw him that is, at our consult. I do feel as though he provided false hope for a "quick" pregnancy. He told us we were an "easy" case and would be pregnant in no longer than 4 months. What a joke.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
No one ever knew my case or even took a minute to review my file before entering the room. They were misinformed about medication THEY prescribed me and it was always impossible to get in contact with anyone. I think they have too many patients to provide quality care.
Describe the protocols Samuel Brown used in your cycles at Brown Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Brown, in our consult, told me to stop taking all my vitamins and metformin ( I have PCOS). I was hesitant but wanted to trust my doctor, so I did. He said he would prescribe me the exact same dosage of Femera as my OBGYN (5 mg) and told me in our consult I would be prescribed dexamethasone as well after I mentioned it. When I came in for my first cycle day 3 ultrasound, no one knew what I was talking about and the physicians assistant I saw prescribed me a lower dose of Femera and said there were "no notes" in my chart about dexamethasone so she wouldn't prescribe it. I never saw Dr. Brown again.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brown Fertility.
At Brown Fertility all you see are nurses and you will most likely never have the same one. I had a total of four different nurses in the only three months I was there and all of them were rude except for one. Of the four nurses I saw, only one took the time to educate my husband and I on what was going on, what they were looking for at each appointment, and things that we could or should be doing to increase our chances of conceiving. I had a nurse come in to do a cycle day scan, say hello, do the scan, say "that's weird" in the middle of the ultrasound, and then leave. She never said what was "weird" not to mention it was incredibly rude. She also brought me out in the hallway to go over our "plan" for that month. Meanwhile, another patients door was wide open and they were doing an internal ultrasound for everyone in the hall to see!!
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
My only strength for this clinic would be that they have numerous locations in the southeast which is convenient. Weaknesses would include scheduling as they are not willing to schedule appointments later than 8:45 for cycle day scans so you are out of luck it you live far away. We woke up at 4 am just to get there on time. They will not remember anything about you every single time you visit. Nothing. You will have to give your infertility story every time. If you need to call for any reason, you will be on hold for at least 30 minutes if you're lucky and even then they will most likely have to call you back which, big surprise, they won't. You will have to call them back again and again. It is a vicious cycle. Only certain locations offer certain procedures so just because they have many locations does not mean you can actually go there. Make sure you check. You will never have the same nurse and you will probably never see an actual doctor. If this bothers you, you can try to request that your appointments be scheduled with the same nurse. This can't always happen as certain nurses are not available on certain days, but you can try. My only advise to anyone considering Brown Fertility would be to go into it with a lot of patience because you're going to need it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility.
Well we have Tricare which covers anything having to do with natural conception. However, we were told IUI would be $500 which doesn't include the cost of cycle day scans ( $250 each scan ) or medication that would no longer be covered.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brown Fertility.
They have forgotten to call in prescriptions, failed to tell us we would not be able to go to certain locations for treatment, have scheduled us for their locations that we could not have cycle day scans at only to tell us the day of they we needed to go to another location even after telling them we drove 2 and a half hours just to get there and they had done our scans there before. We were told they only did them there for us before "out of convenience". What?! We had plenty of nurses with poor bedside manners. Secretaries who were supposed to return calls and never would or put notes in my chart for nurses that were never there. I could honestly go on and on.
Jacksonville

The staff at the Orlando clinic are all very caring and helpful! Never had an issue getting an appointment at a time that worked for me...They [nurses] made the experience personal, not the doctor...We paid about $15,000 for our ER and first FET. We've been quoted about $5,000 for our next FET. Those costs include medication...we experienced an insurance coding error which we are still working out over a year later....
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
Dr. Brown was so optimistic when we first meet him. He gave us an 80% success rate. Now we are post ER and FET which resulted in a chemical pregnancy and frankly his optimism comes off a little like a "used car salesman". If our first FET had resulted in a health pregnancy I may have been able to look past that, or frankly I may not feel the same.
Do your research and ask questions about who will be managing your care. We live four hours from the main clinic in Jacksonville and do all of our monitoring in the Orlando office, which is still 2 hours from our home. Since Dr. Brown visits the Orlando office, but isn't based out of there I had two doctors managing my care. It may not be a bad thing, but certainly doesn't come off as personal.
Dr. Brown was extremely nice during our phone consult and our first in person appointment. He did not do my monitoring in advance of the ER or my first FET, but was the doctor that performed my transfer. He felt like a completely different doctor at transfer time. We were just a number in the cattle call of patients that day. He wasn't familiar with us or our situation. I was the last patient that day and I'm sure that attributed to the attitude, but it was definitely disappointing. So much so that when I called for a follow-up a requested we see the doctor that had done our monitoring and ER.
We suffer from male factor infertility and I have an autoimmune disease. With that in mind IVF with ICSI was our only option. Dr. Brown felt confident that at my age, 30, my egg quality and quantity would be great. I responded very well to the medication and he added in Heparin leading up to and post transfer to assist with the autoimmune disease.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brown Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mena and Ivie)
My original nurse, Mena, was my saving grace. She went on maternity leave just before our FET and my care was switched to Ivie. She also went above and beyond to ensure swift communication by email and phone. They made the experience personal, not the doctor.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
The staff at the Orlando clinic are all very caring and helpful! Never had an issue getting an appointment at a time that worked for me. The Jacksonville office has a different feel to it. Billing is done out of Jacksonville and we experienced an insurance coding error which we are still working out over a year later.
Describe Samuel Brown's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brown Fertility.
Dr. Brown felt that it was appropriate to only transfer one when the plan was to do a fresh transfer. I developed signs of OHSS post ER so we switched to a frozen transfer. At that point he would have suggested two be transferred, but we decided against that due to my age and the fact that I have an antibody (from our one and only natural pregnancy which ended in miscarriage) and the risks to the baby are high - two would make it even more of a risker pregnancy.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brown Fertility.
I never specifically asked how we would receive info regarding our embryos after ER. I did a lot of research on forums and it sounded like most patients have their ER and often leave knowing the number of eggs harvested. Which I received and was told that within a day or two we would get a call with the number of eggs that fertilized. I received a call two days later letting me know the info and was told that I should call back in a week for the final results since we were doing a freeze all. Unfortunately, the nurse that called that day was then on vacation for the two weeks. And when you're waiting on those kind of results two weeks is a long time to wait, especially when you think you only have to wait five day. I convinced myself to wait to call after the five day period and was told that the information I wanted would be sent to me on a postcard, they couldn't give me that info over the phone. It was heartbreaking and frankly I was very hormonal, I lost it. That's not info one should be receiving in the mail on a postcard. If not a call, the very least an email should be sent out. It took almost two weeks for me to find out how many embryos we had. I felt that we had paid a lot of money and they weren't treating the situation as such. Eventually I convinced a nurse to tell me, but the fact that I felt like I was bothering them just to find out if any of our fertilized eggs had survived was stressful and frankly not fair that it added so much stress to an already stressful situation. I think back now and wonder if my expectations were too high. I never asked when and how that info would be provided. So the morale is, always ask!

2017 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. Brown] was very personable and would include the spouses in the conversations a lot. ... I'm far more of a realistic person and he's very optimistic which I'm sure most appreciated, but I preferred to hear it straight. ... I appreciated that he was willing to be as aggressive as I was willing to be. To the point the last cycle protocol was one I developed.
Emily, the NP who does most of the monitoring is amazing. Kristina responds to emails super quick. Jennifer as well. All the nurse assistants are amazing too and cheered me on and let me cry on shoulders a few times. ... Biggest weakness [of Brown Fertility] would be batching, but even with my diminished ovarian reserve (DOR), we managed to make it work to even do estrogen priming one time.
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
I do feel he promised the moon and then when it fell flat, the viewpoint wasn't entirely adjusted. I'm far more of a realistic person and he's very optimistic which I'm sure most appreciated, but I preferred to hear it straight. As time went on he caught on and his approach switched and we was more forward and blunt about realistic chances. He was very personable, remembered personal details and our appointments were never rushed. That did lead to long wait times, but as frustrating as that could be, I'd be more frustrated if I was rushed. My longest appointment with him was 2.5 hours where we hashed out all the details. My husband liked him a lot. He was very personable and would include the spouses in the conversations a lot. Face to face he was always great. The downside is that there's no direct contact with him not face to face. I understand why, but it can be frustrating at times when it's an answer only he can give. Though the nurses usually had my answer by end of day.
Ask him to be realistic about your odds and chances. He can be a bit too optimistic and it can leave you reeling when it doesn't work out that way.
The first cycle I felt a bit more like a number (many women experience first cycle success), but with the failure for any eggs to fertilize it was he who called me with that news instead of a nurse which I respected. With each subsequent cycle we've become even more acquainted and he really respected my opinion and research. I appreciated that he was willing to be as aggressive as I was willing to be. To the point the last cycle protocol was one I developed.
Oh boy. I've done 3 IUIs and 5 retrievals so this is long. All 5 were antagonist. IUI # 1 – August 2017  Letrazole 2.5mg 2x per day CD 3-7  Trigger with Ovidrel on CD 9  1 follicle, Negative IUI # 2 – October 2017  Letrazole 2.5mg 2x per day CD 3-7  Trigger with Ovidrel on CD 12  1 follicle, Negative IUI # 3 – November 2017  Letrazole 2.5mg 2x per day CD 3-7  Trigger with Ovidrel on CD 12  2 follicles, Negative Retrieval #1 – January/Feb 2018  Antagonist Protocol: • Primed: 11 days BCP • Stims (9 days): o Gonal F: 4 days 225iu, 1 day 175iu, 2 days 150iu, 2 days 175iu o Low dose hCG: 20 units o Cetrotide: Day 7-8 • Trigger: Ovidrel  E2 day 4: 563; E2 day 7: 1152  Results: • Retrieved 4, all appeared mature, all degenerated at fertilization o Unable to access left ovary at retrieval • Nothing to transfer Retrieval #2 – March/April 2018  Antagonist Protocol: • Primed: 10 days BCP • Stims (11 days): o Gonal F: 11 days 300iu o Low dose hCG: 20 units o Cetrotide: Day 8-11 • Trigger: Ovidrel  E2 day 5: 231; E2 Day 8: 802  Results: • Retrieved 11, all appeared mature • 4 fertilized, 7 appeared healthy/DNF • 2 day 5 blastocyst, 1 day 6 blastocyst o Fresh transfer of 1 failed FET # 1 – July 2018  BCP for 2 months (partially for Lap); Lupron 28 days; Estriadol, 5 days PIO before transfer (100mg/2mL)  Negative beta Retrieval #3 – August/September 2018  Antagonist Protocol: • Primed: 23 days Estrogen (2mg 2x day) & Provera final 3 • Stims (12 days): o Gonal F: 12 days 325iu o Low dose hCG: 20 units o Cetrotide: Day 8-12 • Trigger: Ovidrel  E2 day 6: 246; E2 day 9: 622; E2 day 12: 1367  Results: • Retrieved 9, 7 mature • 5 fertilized, 2 appeared healthy/DNF (lead follicles we sacrificed) • 3 day 3 embryos (2ea 8cell, 1ea 4 cell) o Fresh transfer of 3 failed Retrieval #4 – October/November 2018 – USED DONOR SPERM  Antagonist Protocol: • Primed: 11 days BCP • Stims (11 days): o Gonal F: 2 days 400iu, 7 days 350iu o Low dose hCG: 20 units o Cetrotide: Day 9-11 • Trigger: Ovidrel  E2 day 5: 282; E2 day 7: 468; E2 day 9: 1018; E2 day 12 (trigger day): 1811  Results: • Retrieved 7, 5 mature • 3 fertilized, 2 appeared healthy/DNF • 3 day 3 embryos (1ea 8cell, 2ea 4cell) o Fresh transfer of 3 failed Retrieval #5 - January - March 2019  Antagonist Protocol: • Primed: 6 weeks prior to stims 38 units of omnitrope daily; 10 days BCP • Stims (11 days): o Gonal F: 11 days 300iu o Menopur: 11 days 150iu o Cetrotide: Day 7-11 o HGH: 38 units continued through trigger day. • Trigger: 2ea Ovidrel  E2 day 5: 386; E2 day 7: 512; E2 day 9: 1090; E2 day 12 (trigger day): 1960  Results: • Retrieved 12, 9 mature • 4 fertilized, 5 appeared healthy/DNF • 4 day 5 blasts o Fresh transfer of 2 successful
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brown Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kristina & Jennifer)
They are all pretty wonderful women. Emily, the NP who does most of the monitoring is amazing. Kristina responds to emails super quick. Jennifer as well. All the nurse assistants are amazing too and cheered me on and let me cry on shoulders a few times. I can't complain about them at all.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
Biggest weakness would be batching, but even with my diminished ovarian reserve (DOR), we managed to make it work to even do estrogen priming one time. The other is monitoring. They do schedule more than one person at each time slot and if someone is taking up more time with lots of questions it does push the times back. They do start people on different days and you aren't forced into a certain retrieval day either, just within a certain week though if you go earlier or end up later they will make it work instead of jinxing your cycle. The strength is most everything is up to date and well taken care of. The clinic (both locations) is clean and well kept. Also HGTV is on in the waiting rooms all the time (which is amazing, my fave). They have a good system in place and with a few tweaks it could be a pretty amazing system.
The costs on the website are pretty spot on. We weren't really hit with any surprise fees. It's all included in the costs except for the cycle initiation fee $375 and anesthesia $350.
He starts with and recommends an eSET unless you're doing a day 3 transfer, multiple failures, or older. He will not balk at doing more than 1 after a failed transfer. We transferred 1 blast, 2 blast, 3 day 3, 3 day 3, 2 blast.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brown Fertility.
Most of the wrong things were human error and one was a system. They were switching to a new records system when I was requesting my records sent over, but when I called about it, I did get my records sent to me and the other clinic. The right tests didn't get sent once, but we were ordering somewhere around 35 tests at one time, so it's a pretty understandable error and quickly corrected. One time was the lab actually lost it versus the clinic. Another was once given a different instruction than I was before, but that happened only once in about 50+ visits so I consider it a pretty good success rate.
Jacksonville

The first day I met Dr. Brown, I thought he was amazing....My IVF cycle was a complete fail for the “perfect patient.” I only had 5 follicles at the last ultrasound appointment and I was very concerned. My husband and I expressed our concern, and Dr. Brown assured us this number was great and we had nothing to worry about. We were hesitant to move forward, for fear we wouldn’t get any embryos and would loose all of our money.
I felt like a number in this practice [Brown Fertility], when they told me they take 40 girls at a time, and you have to “pay” to reserve your spot. Also it’s like a cattle call on retrieval and transfer days.... I saw Dr. Brown only twice, and he didn’t show up to do the transfer, even though he told my husband he would be doing it. They have too many patients and you’re just one out of 40.
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
The first day I met Dr. Brown, I thought he was amazing. He was charming and charismatic and overall impressive. He told me I was “the perfect patient and I would 100% get pregnant.” I believed him. It’s hard not to, when he seems so sure of himself. I thought his rates were amazing, but now when I look on the CDC, they don’t match. My IVF cycle was a complete fail for the “perfect patient.” I only had 5 follicles at the last ultrasound appointment and I was very concerned. My husband and I expressed our concern, and Dr. Brown assured us this number was great and we had nothing to worry about. We were hesitant to move forward, for fear we wouldn’t get any embryos and would loose all of our money. Well, the whole retrieval and transfer process was a mess. I only ended up with 1 embryo to transfer, yet Dr Brown said that was great. He surely knew that wasn’t true, and a pregnancy wasn’t likely. Yet he kept promising. He wasn’t there on transfer day when he specifically told my husband he would be there that Saturday. We never saw him again. Dr Brown had run my FSH, and never disclosed that it was way out of range, and indicative of premature ovarian failure. My new doctor who got my records from him pointed that out. Dr Brown basically just kept promising a baby and how great everything looked, when they wasn’t the case. I don’t blame him for my poor medical response...but for the emotional wreckage he caused by completely misleading us. He didn’t want us to cancel our cycle before he got his money. He didn’t do his job and present information correctly and honestly. I’m sure for some women, he’s great. But for anyone with endometriosis...find another doctor who actually looks at the individual and doesn’t just plug you into the group of 40 women he does at a time.
Find another doctor. Don’t go to him, because he is not all the way honest with results and success rates.
I felt like a number in this practice, when they told me they take 40 girls at a time, and you have to “pay” to reserve your spot. Also it’s like a cattle call on retrieval and transfer days. One girl after the next, in and out of the OR. You can hear the nurses calling out bed numbers and changing the OR out after each person is done. I saw Dr. Brown only twice, and he didn’t show up to do the transfer, even though he told my husband he would be doing it. They have too many patients and you’re just one out of 40.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brown Fertility.
The nursing staff seemed nice, but not amazing. You never see the same person twice. You don’t have an official IVF nurse assigned to you. When I reached out to the one I had an email for, the response wasn’t super helpful. And when I got a negative result, a nurse I had never heard from called me to break the news.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
Strengths- Its a pretty clinic. Nice buildings and decor. The clinic seems organized. Weaknesses- it’s a cattle call. Too many patients. 40 each month doing IVf. It’s not personalized at all. You will barely see the doctor. Retrieval and transfer is one patient after he next in and out. And you will find out how many embryos make it if they are slow growing, but a ridiculous postcard TWO weeks later. It was heartbreaking to get a negative pregnancy test, and not know if we had any more embryos left. They wouldn’t tell you over email or the phone.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Brown Fertility.
Monitoring appointments ran behind. I always waited an hour each time. Yet my turn didn’t take more than 5 minutes. The wait time didn’t bother me, but it just felt like a cattle call.
I didn’t have any issues with billing. Our cycle was around $9,000. A complete waste of money.
Jacksonville
Dr. Cabrera is very good and professional I wished all clinic would change my meds according to how I respond each cycle instead of keep using same meds. He does all the Ultrasound and all visit except egg retrieval or transfer. Depend on who’s on call that time [at Brown Fertility]. I wished he would do all my retrieval and transfer since he know me when I visit for blood works and ultrasound
I feel that their [Brown Fertility] communication should be better. ... Embryologist don’t introduce himself and I get a card in a mail 2 weeks latter to know how many embryos freezing is not the way of communication I like. But that’s how they do it at this clinics ... I feel that they don’t tell me much when I go for blood test or ultrasound. For example they don’t tell me what blood test they doing or the results. And ultrasound how many follicles I have and the size.
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
Dr. Cabrera is very good and professional I wished all clinic would change my meds according to how I respond each cycle instead of keep using same meds. He does all the Ultrasound and all visit except egg retrieval or transfer. Depend on who’s on call that time. I wished he would do all my retrieval and transfer since he know me when I visit for blood works and ultrasound
I wished he would explained what he saw on ultrasound and how big my follicles or how many I have
Sometime he’s more personal then other time the group treat me like a number. I do feel all Fertilty clinics that I go to doesn’t really look at my history just my age
My protocol is Gonal F and Hcg with centrotide for all cycles Not sure what’s the rationale but HCg help my egg to mature
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brown Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ivie)
I have a few nurses some send me cycle calendar some does teaching Everyone are professionals and nice.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
I feel that their communication should be better. I get a calendar and said if I have any questions please call. I feel that they don’t tell me much when I go for blood test or ultrasound. For example they don’t tell me what blood test they doing or the results. And ultrasound how many follicles I have and the size. Embryologist don’t introduce himself and I get a card in a mail 2 weeks latter to know how many embryos freezing is not the way of communication I like. But that’s how they do it at this clinics
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Brown Fertility.
I get all my time I request. Scheduling is good
Retrieval cost about $11000 and medicines is about $4000-8000
Jacksonville

Dr. Cabrera was kind and warm, but the consummate professional. He was straightforward, didn't sugarcoat anything, but always positive and encouraging. He is incredibly knowledgeable, and always knew how to convey the knowledge in a way that we understood what was going on...Due to the severity of my endometriosis, I was determined not to be a candidate for IUI, but the perfect candidate for IVF...
Everyone [at Brown Fertility] knew our names, and they welcomed us with big smiles when we walked in. The only downside to Brown Fertility was having to go to a different location for our retrieval and transfer. We didn't have the comfort of knowing the staff at the Jacksonville location, prior to having such big procedures done...Our IVF cycle included all visits required to prepare, HSG, all necessary baseline ultrasounds, oocyte retrieval and frozen embryo transfer, and cost approximately $10,370 (not including medications).
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
Ask a lot of questions and take your time when you're in the office. There are no silly questions.
From the moment we walked into the office for our initial consultation, to the day we "graduated" to a regular OBGYN, our care staff doted on us. My nurse held me while I sobbed after getting poor test results, they called us after hours to make sure our first injections went smoothly and to ask if we had any questions or needed help. They were flexible with their schedule, they explained everything a million times so we completely understood what was happening, or what our tests results meant, and they were always positive, while being honest and realistic. When it came down to choosing a "package," they didn't recommend the biggest one (in terms of cost), instead they looked at our health and fertility situation, and guided us to one that fit our needs. They truly cared about us, mourned with us, and celebrated with us when we found out our transfer of two embryos resulted in the birth of our sweet fraternal twins.
May 2017 - initial consultation with Dr. Cabrera to discuss health history, and what Brown Fertility does. They briefly reviewed the IVF process. June 2017 - Blood test done to ascertain AMH and other various levels. HSG done to investigate the condition of my tubes and uterus (blockages and such). My husband also underwent blood testing as well as a semen sample. My right tube was found to be almost completely blocked (I did not have a left tube at that point, as a result of a left salpingectomy), and my right ovary was scarred to my uterus. My endometriosis was determined to be a level 4 throughout. The inside of my uterus looked clean and clear, however. My husband was the epitome of child-bearing health. Due to the severity of my endometriosis, I was determined not to be a candidate for IUI, but the perfect candidate for IVF. My AMH was incredibly high, so that couple with my husband's stellar sperm, Dr. Cabrera anticipated a successful oocyst retrieval and hopefully a number of healthy embryos as a result. July 2017 - we took the month off to relax and let my body rest before starting the IVF process. August 2017 - Took birth control and baby aspirin for two weeks in order to regulate my cycle and shut down my reproductive system. A trial transfer was performed to ensure there would be no surprises during the actual transfer. Everything went smoothly. September 2017 - I started initial injections on September 2, and continued through September 9. Meds varied, but typical day looked like this: Gonal-F (150 units) // Lo Dose hCG (20 units) // Cetrotide // Aspirin 81 mg. I did one trigger shot of Ovidrel on September 10, in preparation for our September 12 retrieval. I was directed to take doxycycline from September 11-16, for prevention against risk of bacterial infections. Cabergoline was prescribed for September 12-19, to reduce incidence of OHSS. Oocyte retrieval went smoothly, with a total of 23 eggs retrieved. With that many eggs, however, I was diagnosed with OHSS, so we ended up doing a freeze all cycle. Our eggs were fertilized using ICSI, and we ended up with 13, day 5 blastocysts. October 2017 - Once my body recovered from OHSS, I resumed birth control and baby aspirin, in order to continue regulating and normalizing my menstrual cycle. Once I completed two weeks of birth control, and my reproductive system was quiet and under control, we began preparations for our November frozen embryo transfer. I took a pregnancy test on October 14, as a precaution prior to beginning next phase of meds. Upon negative result, we added Leuprolide (Lupron) 10 units daily. Birth control discontinued on October 20, Lupron continued at 10 units. Baseline ultrasound conducted to ensure no reproductive activity was occurring. When that was confirmed, Estradiol was added to daily regimen - twice daily, increasing over time until November 9. November 9, Lupron was discontinued, and progesterone added. November 16, we transferred two little embryos. Estradiol continued until mid-December. A two-week blood pregnancy test was done on November 27, and came back POSITIVE! A second round of bloodwork was done to confirm increasing HCG, and was positive. Progesterone continued until 10 weeks. July 23, 2018 - At 38 weeks and 2 days, we gave birth via c-section to fraternal boy/girl twins. Both were healthy, and required no NICU stay. They are 21 months old as of today!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brown Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth Carson, ARNP)
Cami was kind and compassionate, but also a straight shooter, and incredibly intelligent. She didn't sugarcoat things, which was refreshing in a world of "just relax, you'll have a baby one day." She prepared us for what was to come, but was encouraging throughout the process. If something didn't make sense to us, she took the time to explain it in a way we would understand.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
The clinic was conveniently located amongst other medical facilities. It was clean, welcoming, and intimate. Because it's not a giant clinic, we didn't feel like we were puppies being shuffled through a puppy mill. Everyone knew our names, and they welcomed us with big smiles when we walked in. The only downside to Brown Fertility was having to go to a different location for our retrieval and transfer. We didn't have the comfort of knowing the staff at the Jacksonville location, prior to having such big procedures done. However, because everyone was just as kind and accommodating as our Orlando team, we still felt comfortable there.
Our doctor initially recommended transferring one embryo, because of my age and the intention of doing a fresh cycle. Upon deciding to do frozen transfer, they suggested two embryos to increase our chances. We were adequately educated on the chances, risks, and possible outcomes of transferring one or two.
Jacksonville

Dr. Brown would re-introduce himself to us during retrieval and transfers and there was never a sense of having a good relationship or bedside manners for his patients. ... You do not see Dr. Brown on a regular basis either. ... failed to diagnose me correctly with silent endometriosis, instead labeling us as "unexplained with PCO like ovaries". ... It was devastating to miscarry but also to have a doctor we had never seen before perform the ultrasound and confirm the miscarriage for us. It was very uncomfortable.
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
A big downside to his office is their scheduling. They schedule multiple patients for the same time slots so the wait is often long, even with an appointment time. You do not see Dr. Brown on a regular basis either. It was devastating to miscarry but also to have a doctor we had never seen before perform the ultrasound and confirm the miscarriage for us. It was very uncomfortable.
Only patients with easy cases seem to succeed at Dr. Brown's office. He is very money hungry and there is a huge lack of personalization. I would not suggest going to this office.
Dr. Brown and Dr. Rose, both treated us during our IVM cycle. Being experimental, we knew IVM was not 100% chance of success. Although the transfer was not a success, we decided to move forward with IVF with Dr. Brown. During our IVF cycle, we had constant long wait times and realized he batch cycles patients. He requires a $375 non-refundable deposit for each cycle and that amount does not include the total cycle cost. We ended up paying out of pocket due to his insurance/finance coordinators incorrectly explaining what our insurance did and did not cover to us. We also paid out of pocket for medications because the finance team failed to explain that I had insurance coverage via CVS for medications. The doctors failed to diagnose me correctly with silent endometriosis, instead labeling us as "unexplained with PCO like ovaries". Since this office batch cycles, you do not receive an individualized treatment protocol and are forced to have appointments, retrievals and transfers on the same days as the other patients in that month's cycle. Dr. Brown would re-introduce himself to us during retrieval and transfers and there was never a sense of having a good relationship or bedside manners for his patients.
For our IVM cycle, we were given femara for 5 days and then retrieved the eggs in an immature state, allowing the embryologist to mature them in the lab pre-fertilization. I was put on oral estrogen and progesterone in oil injections the month leading up to transfer and post transfer. For our IVF cycle, I used gonal f injections along with lo dose hcg, estrogen and progesterone.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brown Fertility.
The nursing staff could care less about the patients and day-to-day office operations. After our second loss at this office, I told the IVF Nurse that I was going to pursue a consultation with another local clinic and was simply told "Good luck".
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
The only positive of this office is their two conveniently located office locations. This office is not where you want to be treated when going through infertility and the tough journey of it all. They are disorganized as well. I once had an email from the finance coordinator that was an excel spreadsheet of ALL patients cycling that month, including their personal information such as full names, insurance companies, contact information, etc. This was a HUGE HIPPA violation. When I expressed via email that I do not believe I was supposed to receive this, the coordinator simply shrugged it off. This is not an office that will care for you as a human being.
Dr. Brown charges around $9,000 for an IVF cycle plus the medicine, which is paid directly to the pharmacy. Anesthesia and other things can be separate costs.
Jacksonville

Dr. Brown was very nice and positive. Everything was "we will have you pregnant by the end of the year." This wasn't realistic and ended up being such a disappointment...When he did my HSG he was rough and very quick. I have a high pain tolerance and had to speak up about pain. He did not comment on this and then said "ok right tube blocked. Remember that for our next appointment. We can work with that ." This was as he was rushing out of the room. I was beyond confused and devastated.
The office staff is terrible and lack compassion...They are not professional...They have messed up appointments and billing several times...I would say it's a cattle call and to look elsewhere if possible...She [nurse at Brown Fertility] answered emails quickly and was friendly. She was polite and professional.
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
Dr. Brown was very nice and positive. Everything was "we will have you pregnant by the end of the year." This wasn't realistic and ended up being such a disappointment. Anytime we had a question or wanted to speak with him we had to pay our co pay of 60 dollars. When he did my HSG he was rough and very quick. I have a high pain tolerance and had to speak up about pain. He did not comment on this and then said "ok right tube blocked. Remember that for our next appointment. We can work with that ." This was as he was rushing out of the room. I was beyond confused and devastated. Also I think he should remember and not ask the patient to. When we did the Laparoscopy both tubes were actually open. We had a five minute appointment with him and that was it. For IVF I saw him once for one ultrasound. It was about 2 mins after waiting 45. They had done 38 IVF in one cycle.
I would say it's a cattle call and to look elsewhere if possible.
The wait times were never under 30-45 minutes. I spent a total of 30 minutes total if that with Dr.Brown since beginning treatment. The doctor who came to do my egg retrieval and transfer was a man I never met and he did not know me or my situation. I did not feel like he cared. When we were there to do the transfer we only had two embryos left and out of no where he goes I would go ahead and transfer both even though for your age we only do one because you might have poor ovarian reserve. I had never heard that before and he didn't even have my chart. So he added all this worry and without any facts. Luckily the embryologist spoke up and said to just transfer one due to it not increasing chances (only 5 percent) and being more of a risk. No one ever called to follow up unless it was to ask for more money.
For my IUIs I was on low dose Femara. I would have 2 ultrasounds. One baseline. One to check progress. Trigger with Ovidrel. Then IUI 36 hours later. For IVF I was on the lowest doses of Gonal F and HCG after a Baseline ultrasound. Next ultrasound to check progress I was cancelled due to over response. I had to go back on birth control again and be scheduled the next month. He lowered the dose of Gonal F. I did Cetrotide for 3 days until I triggered with Ovidrel. Also baby aspirin whole cycle. Then after retrieval progesterone and estridol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brown Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kristina Maor)
She answered emails quickly and was friendly. She was polite and professional.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
The office staff is terrible and lack compassion. They are money hungry. They are not professional. They are difficult to work with. They are not flexible. They have no empathy.
60 co pay to see doctor or ask a question 250 per ultrasound 500 per IUI 9k for IVF not including medication. Not including mock transfer. Not including blood work. Not including storing frozen embryos. Not including anesthesia
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brown Fertility.
They have messed up appointments and billing several times.

2013, Unsuccessful
Dr.Brown was always rushed. We waited once 2 hours for a follow up appointment after a failed donor egg cycle where he basically said "I don't know why this didn't work? Let's try again." .. He did a donor egg cycle. It was pretty basic and no special protocols were used...Dr.Brown was always rushed and never remembered me or my history. I feel the practice got too big and he was always rushing from patient to patient.
The nurse [at Brown Fertility] assigned to my case specialized in donor eggs. This requires a bit of compassion... My nurse was terrible. She was so disorganized that she messed up the calendar of meds and my donor was taking medication on the wrong day. I had to call and have her fix it but i will never know if the donor heard from her...I felt like I was in a baby making factory. The wait time for appointments was ridiculous, the care was "one size fits all", and the staff was rude and disorganized.
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
Dr.Brown was always rushed and never remembered me or my history. I feel the practice got too big and he was always rushing from patient to patient. He never got specific with my treatment plans and I felt like he gave me a "one size fits all" protocol.
Go to a different doctor.
The office was always crowded. Dr.Brown was always rushed. We waited once 2 hours for a follow up appointment after a failed donor egg cycle where he basically said "I don't know why this didn't work? Let's try again." There is no personal attention at this office. Everyone is a number. They even make everyone start meds at the same time each month so that all the retrievals and transfers are in the same week.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brown Fertility.
The nurse assigned to my case specialized in donor eggs. This requires a bit of compassion since you are dealing with women who already have been through a grief of not using their own eggs and a loss of biological connection. My nurse was terrible. She was so disorganized that she messed up the calendar of meds and my donor was taking medication on the wrong day. I had to call and have her fix it but i will never know if the donor heard from her. After my cycle I got an email from her that said "so I just got back in town.. did you get a positive pregnancy test?" I had already been to the clinic and received a negative blood test. All she had to do was check my chart. Then on my second donor egg cycle that failed, another nurse said to me when she called to give me my negative results "I don't know why it didn't work. We have very high success rates with donor egg. " They were always quick to reference their high success rates but I never received great care or saw positive results.!
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
The cycles were s but more expensive than the other clinics in the area.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brown Fertility.
The nurse messed up my medicination cycle with the donor. I caught the mistake and alerted her but I don't know if it was too late to affect the cycle. Both transfers resulted in a negative pregnancy test.

2012 - 2013, Unsuccessful
Dr Brown was always happy to see me even though I got the feeling that he didn't really remember me. He constantly seemed rushed or like I was keeping him from something he would rather be doing...Dr Brown seemed only interested in the end results when what I wanted was a diagnosis. He never offered testing for endometriosis, he just declared that I must have it. When I asked for PGS testing he said I didn't need it because I was young even though I wanted it...
[Brown Fertility] Strengths: The procedure room was large enough to allow for my husband to come in for my transfers. Weaknesses: Too busy. Too many patients to be able to give personal care to everyone. The receptionist asked me for money every time I checked in even though I was completely covered by insurance and I told her this every time. At some point you would think a note would be made on my account or something.
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
Dr Brown was always happy to see me even though I got the feeling that he didn't really remember me. He constantly seemed rushed or like I was keeping him from something he would rather be doing. One time, he was so eager to get in and out of an exam with me that he opened the door while I was still changing and rather than close the door and wait he held it mostly closed and impatiently stood outside it asking "Ready yet?"
Go somewhere else.
The entire process felt like I was in a baby farm. From the over crowded waiting room to the money demanding receptionists. Dr Brown seemed only interested in the end results when what I wanted was a diagnosis. He never offered testing for endometriosis, he just declared that I must have it. When I asked for PGS testing he said I didn't need it because I was young even though I wanted it. It turned out later that I have poor egg quality and could have avoided 4 emotionally draining, expensive and ultimately useless embryo transfers. I left that practice feeling like I wasted a year of my life with a dr who didn't really care about me as an individual but rather as a potential number in a record book.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brown Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
The nurses were ok. They were always busy and rushing which is not surprising considering the ridiculous number of patients waiting every time I was there. I have difficult veins to drawn from so most nurses have to use my hands and I left every time with hideous bruises.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brown Fertility.
There were multiple times that I came in for a scheduled and verified appointment only to be told when I checked in that I didn't have an appointment on the schedule. This is not acceptable with IVF when everything is time sensitive.

2017, Unknown Success
Dr Brown is very honest and compassionate. I felt like he explained everything thoroughly and was open with expectations. I felt cared for and that he really wanted the best for me. His knowledge was great and he was always on time and kind... I was on birth control for 8 weeks prior to beginning cycle. I did not produce many eggs (3) and was discovered I have diminished ovarian reserve. Only 2 of the eggs were mature and both fertilized with ICSI. I had embryo transfer on day 3 with a 4 cell and an 8 cell embryo. I took Crinone suppositories and Estradiol daily after embryo transfer.
The front desk [at Brown Fertility] is fairly organized. The appointments ran mostly on time. They would let you know if your upcoming appointment would be long and to bring a book. Everyone was friendly...The nursing staff were very thorough and would respond to emails immediately. They were always positive and uplifting and organized.
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
Don't be afraid to ask questions and he will answer them.
I felt Dr. Brown took his time with you and explained in detail. Also, he had a positive attitude.
I did stims for 12 days. I started with 225 of Gonal-F and 20mcg of hcg for the first 4 days. On day 5 I was upped to 300 of Gonal-F. Cetrotide was introduced on day 10. I triggered with Ovidrel. I was on birth control for 8 weeks prior to beginning cycle. I did not produce many eggs (3) and was discovered I have diminished ovarian reserve. Only 2 of the eggs were mature and both fertilized with ICSI. I had embryo transfer on day 3 with a 4 cell and an 8 cell embryo. I took Crinone suppositories and Estradiol daily after embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brown Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kristina)
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
The front desk is fairly organized. The appointments ran mostly on time. They would let you know if your upcoming appointment would be long and to bring a book. Everyone was friendly
IVF cycle 9,000 Medications 2,000
I was only to transfer one embryo but due to 3 day transfer and one embryo stalling we decided to transfer both the 8 cell and 4 cell embryo

2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Cabrera was very honest and patient when explaining the IVF and ICSI process and why it would be the best option in our case. He spent a good deal of time with us and reassured us that our chances of success are high. Although this entire process is daunting, I'm glad that we will be under the care of a knowledgable and compassionate doctor.
From the time that we called Brown Fertility, I felt as though everyone we spoke to spent time answering our questions and explaining the process. They have been competent and understanding. They have encouraged us to ask questions and seek more information, and I feel as though we are being heard...I am hopeful about moving forward with our treatment using Brown Fertility as our clinic.
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
Ask as any and all the questions that you can. Dr. Cabrera did a great job of answering all of our concerns. This is such an important, emotional, hopeful, and life-altering journey. Make sure you are as well informed as possible.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
We are still in the early stages of the IVF journey. So far, we have been very happy with the treatment we've received. I am hopeful about moving forward with our treatment using Brown Fertility as our clinic.
We have only paid for the initial consultation, semen analysis, and blood work so far.
Jacksonville

Dr. Cabrera is absolutely amazing! He is very thorough and explained everything so that my husband and I would fully understand where we stood. Through treatments and procedure we knew what to expect...I did two cycles of clocks and timed intercourses ...After two cycles not working, we did iui so that we could assist the sperm along into the uterus
The nursing staff [at Brown Fertility] is so friendly and really make you feel welcomed. If you have been in their care, they remember you by name and follow your progress. They are really invested in the progress of the patients...they complete most of their tests and sonograms in office. I loved that I didn’t have to go to multiple locations to get the tests needed to come up with a course of treatment
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
Dr. Cabrera is absolutely amazing! He is very thorough and explained everything so that my husband and I would fully understand where we stood. Through treatments and procedure we knew what to expect because Dr. Cabrera took the time to explain to us the process.
Dr. Cabrera truly has your best interest so trust him and his course of action.
The staff were very friendly and remembered me by my name. They all showed that they truly care.
I did two cycles of clocks and timed intercourses as my ovules were growing and seemed to be releasing. After two cycles not working, we did iui so that we could assist the sperm along into the uterus. Due to financial reasons we could not continue after the first negative with iui
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brown Fertility.
The nursing staff is so friendly and really make you feel welcomed. If you have been in their care, they remember you by name and follow your progress. They are really invested in the progress of the patients.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
The clinic is amazing... they complete most of their tests and sonograms in office. I loved that I didn’t have to go to multiple locations to get the tests needed to come up with a course of treatment.

2015, Successful
We prefer the more direct, scientific approach and Dr. Brown always obliges us by providing us with lots of information to make an informed decision. My only regret is that Dr. Brown is not a regular OB and that once I get pregnant I will have to stop going to his office.
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
Dr. Brown is great at reading his patients. We prefer the more direct, scientific approach and he always obliges us by providing us with lots of information to make an informed decision. Having said that, he still has an excellent bedside manner and I never feel rushed when I meet with him.
Dr. Brown is amazing. I always feel like he presents me with all of my options and doesn't pressure me to come to any one decision. He has employed the most amazing team of nurses. These women were happy for me with my first pregnancy, and called me when they discovered I had miscarried. Every time I see them I feel like they are truly vested in what happens with me. My only regret is that Dr. B is not a regular OB and that once I get pregnant I will have to stop going to his office.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brown Fertility.
The nursing staff are incredible. I feel as though they really care about me and the outcome of my treatments. The day after I had a miscarriage, I received a call at home from one of them. She told me they had been looking at the results of ultrasounds from the previous day and were so sad when they saw mine. I felt a tremendous amount of support from them all and it really made the process so much easier to bear.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I really liked Dr. Brown at first but then I kept getting conflicting information from him. He just kept telling us we would get pregnant but then kept the same protocol, which was frustrating. Whenever we did finally change something, it was only because of the research and second opinions I had obtained myself...With the doctor, I felt treated like a number but with the nursing staff, I felt that I was treated very individually and felt special...
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
Do you research beforehand and don't be afraid to ask questions and question him. And keep your own records.
Jacksonville
Amazing cannot complain even if I wanted. He [Dr. Cabrera] explained everything in details. He went through my family and medical history and based my visit off of this. He explained my husband process and procedures. He explained what to expect...He is an amazing doctor. Explained everything in details...He is more than happy to look it over and answer each question to details...Take a notebook and list all your concerns and questions.
[Brown Fertility] Clean very warm and friendly...Amazing cannot complain even if I wanted. He [Dr. Refael Cabrera] explained everything in details. He went through my family and medical history and based my visit off of this. He explained my husband process and procedures. He explained what to expect....Take a notebook and list all your concerns and questions. He is more than happy to look it over and answer each question to details.
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
Amazing cannot complain even if I wanted. He explained everything in details. He went through my family and medical history and based my visit off of this. He explained my husband process and procedures. He explained what to expect.
He is an amazing doctor. Explained everything in details.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
Clean very warm and friendly
2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
I felt like there were times where Dr. Brown handled situations sensitively, but often I felt he was so into his research and his stats that he lost sight of how information was being delivered to us...He is good at explaining his research and the science behind what he does, although he often contradicted himself and delivered information in ways that weren't careful and didn't seem to reflect his compassion for his patients
I do get the impression that the staff [of Brown Fertility] is overwhelmed and that can translate to a stressful experience for the patient. I have had a lot of difficulties working with the billing department and that has been really frustrating. Twice they have contacted me using another patient's name on accident...
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
I think Dr. Brown is good at what he does and cares for his patients, but he often was a bit clumsy in the consultations we had with us. He is good at explaining his research and the science behind what he does, although he often contradicted himself and delivered information in ways that weren't careful and didn't seem to reflect his compassion for his patients.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and keep asking questions.
I felt like there were times where Dr. Brown handled situations sensitively, but often I felt he was so into his research and his stats that he lost sight of how information was being delivered to us. I often felt like we were getting a well-rehearsed canned talk. He often really pushed his egg donors without a lot of thought to the complexities of this decision or the research around how best to address donors in terms of impact on the kids as they grow. It's clear he's good at what he does, but I think he and the clinic could improve in being more thoughtful about the experience for their patients.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
I think the clinic generally really does care about their patients and their stats are pretty stellar. It does seem that they really know the latest science in infertility. That being said, I do get the impression that the staff is overwhelmed and that can translate to a stressful experience for the patient. I have had a lot of difficulties working with the billing department and that has been really frustrating. Twice they have contacted me using another patient's name on accident. Infertility is stressful all on its own and everyone is human, but I do wish the experience of working with the clinic didn't add to the stress.
Jacksonville

Dr Cabrera said I could have 3 transferred but he did not communicate that to his partner doing the transfer so only 2 were transferred....Initially, during my consultation he was friendly but after my payment for IVF I became just a number...I had concerns about implantation success and was always wondering if my progesterone levels were ok but I got no answers on that.
The IVF nurse was excellent. She was very knowledgeable and she showed care and concern for me as a patient. I liked having her be part of my treatment team [at Brown Fertility]. The medical assistants were also very friendly and seemed to really care...They do not offer screening tests to increase selection of the best embryos. It is interesting that they offer gender selection but not a test that would increase pregnancy success.
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
He did not individualize my care, therefore my chances for success were decreased. Specifically, during my first IVF cycle the gonal f was at max dose and he never adjusted it despite each visit saying my follicles were growing very fast. As a result, my follicles grew too big, too fast and although we still retrieved 6, I could have had over 12 retrieved and would not have needed to do another IVF cycle for more follicles if the medication was adjusted during my visits prior to retrieval. He told me after the chemical pregnancy that it must be my embryos. When I said the grading from the embryologist showed good embryos he said "that grading does not mean anything" He also said what is important is what is inside the embryo and said "there is no way to tell what happening inside" I now know that PGT-A testing would have allowed me to know which embryos to transfer but they don't offer that test and as a result you can see the stats that show very, very poor success with women over 37 treated at Brown fertility. He did not communicate with Dr Bruce Rose who did my transfer. The first transfer he only transferred 2 embryos even though we agreed to do 3. The second IVF cycle Dr Rose said 2 minutes before the transfer that he did not agree with transferring 3 and he strongly recommended against it. He also said "I can get any woman pregnant" The cycle resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Dr Cabrera lost his temper with me when talking to me the day the nurse called to tell me the results were negative. He was extremely arrogant and never once said I'm sorry. Instead he said " I did not do anything wrong and I did not guarantee you anything" I was shocked. At that point I knew I would never return and no matter how much they charge me to transfer my embryos I would do that rather than work with Brown fertility doctors again.
For the reasons I detailed above, I would say do not go here. Even if you have to wait for a few months for an appointment somewhere else. There is a reason for that. He says what you want to hear and once that payment is received there are no refunds. After the cycle ends you will never hear from them again.
Initially, during my consultation he was friendly but after my payment for IVF I became just a number. After I talked with the doctor who referred me to Dr Cabrera, he changed completely and treated me like a human.
He used the same protocol he uses for all IVF patients at this clinic. I had concerns about implantation success and was always wondering if my progesterone levels were ok but I got no answers on that. Also, I think the most important thing I learned after doing my own research after the 2nd failed fresh IVF cycle is that a frozen cycle would have allowed him to make sure my lining was optimal for implantation. I also found out that the other clinics in my area rarely do fresh cycles anymore especially after a failed fresh cycle. That type of change in protocol is a critical change that based on everything I have read including this fertility site would have increased my chance for success dramatically.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brown Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ivie IVF nurse)
The IVF nurse was excellent. She was very knowledgeable and she showed care and concern for me as a patient. I liked having her be part of my treatment team. The medical assistants were also very friendly and seemed to really care.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
Clinic strengths- they see a lot of patients so you can get an appointment easily for a consultation. The support staff and nurses are really good. Clinic weaknesses- The doctor does not care. Once the money is paid and the cycle is over its on to the next one. After someone spends so much money they would expect some contact after a failed cycle. They do not follow standard protocols, the outdated protocols are likely why my cycle failed. They do not offer screening tests to increase selection of the best embryos. It is interesting that they offer gender selection but not a test that would increase pregnancy success. That would make any patient think it's all about making money. The screening tests would lead to less cycles and therefore decreased profits.
I spent about 35,000 dollars here over 4 months. This included 2 IVF cycles and the over priced medications from SMP pharmacy in Miami for each of those cycles. It also includes the anesthesia costs and hotel costs because the procedures are done in Jacksonville not Orlando.
Dr Cabrera said I could have 3 transferred but he did not communicate that to his partner doing the transfer so only 2 were transferred. During my second IVF cycle it was made clear we would do 3 and again 2 were transferred. No apology and no explanation was given.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brown Fertility.
The failure to treat me as an individual affected my chance for success. Not having the same doctor monitor me and perform the procedure contributed to not getting enough embryos the first time and also transferring the wrong number of embryos both times.
2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Brown made me feel like family. I’ve been trying to conceive for quite some time and my PCP referred me to him. He took the time to explain every route I could take and helped me to figure out the best option. My husband joined me at every appt and they always talked on a personal level about different things. I trust his judgement and I know that he will do what is best for me and not his pockets.
Office staff [at Brown Fertility] is always friendly and helpful. I’m always treated with kindness and consideration. It’s as if they know that you’re struggling mentally and they really try their best to make sure you have the best possible experience. ... Nurse Flint was very helpful. I really love how you have your one on one time at this office with a nurse. She spent at least 45 min. meeting with us and going through everything detail.
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
He is very knit and does not rush through your appt. He is so patient, kind, and always takes my feelings into consideration. This process can be mentally exhausting and I really appreciate how he handles my situation with care.
Listen to him! He knows exactly what to do in order to gain your desired results.
I haven’t completed the process. However his team is amazing and they map everything out for you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brown Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Cristi Flint)
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
Office staff is always friendly and helpful. I’m always treated with kindness and consideration. It’s as if they know that you’re struggling mentally and they really try their best to make sure you have the best possible experience.
The costs were itemized and discussed during a separate appt. This included what insurance did/did not cover and also the patient’s responsibility.
2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr.Brown was always thorough with every visit. Although I know he was always busy he never rushed our time with him and made sure to answer every question with detail... I have PCOS so I was on a minimal stimulation protocol for Ivf. The doctors paid close attention to my ovaries and adjusted my medications several times during my cycle. Initially it was suggested that I take a break after the egg retrieval and do a frozen transfer, but after egg retrieval the decision was made to pursue a fresh cycle. We also did ICSI due to my Husband’s low count and motility sperm issues.
The doctors and nurses [Brown Fertility] were all very warm at all times a day. I was never made to feel as if I was 50th person they saw that day.... Ivf cycle was $10,000... I have PCOS so I was on a minimal stimulation protocol for Ivf. The doctors paid close attention to my ovaries and adjusted my medications several times during my cycle. Initially it was suggested that I take a break after the egg retrieval and do a frozen transfer, but after egg retrieval the decision was made to pursue a fresh cycle.
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
Dr.Brown was always thorough with every visit. Although I know he was always busy he never rushed our time with him and made sure to answer every question with detail..............................................................................................................................
The doctors and nurses were all very warm at all times a day. I was never made to feel as if I was 50th person they saw that day.
I have PCOS so I was on a minimal stimulation protocol for Ivf. The doctors paid close attention to my ovaries and adjusted my medications several times during my cycle. Initially it was suggested that I take a break after the egg retrieval and do a frozen transfer, but after egg retrieval the decision was made to pursue a fresh cycle. We also did ICSI due to my Husband’s low count and motility sperm issues. 14 of my eggs were retrieved and 7 embryos made it to day 5 and were frozen. A singleton was transferred on day 5 and I am now 14 weeks pregnant from my first cycle.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Ivf cycle was $10,000

2018, Consult
Dr. Brown needs to take a step back and really think about actually reading and getting to know his patients. Just like his time is valuable ours is too. We are coming to his clinic because of the success rates hoping this will be it! We should not sit in a waiting room for 5-6 hours past our appointment just to be told to do testing we have already done...I feel at this point in his career that he doesn't have time to really review your file and personalize your treatment because he is so busy.
Do not book appointments around work. They [Brown Fertility] are never on time...We should not sit in a waiting room for 5-6 hours past our appointment just to be told to do testing we have already done...Dr. Brown needs to take a step back and really think about actually reading and getting to know his patients. Just like his time is valuable ours is too...They need more doctor's...We left and never went back after the consult.
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
He is not a good doctor if your looking to be a human and not a number. I feel at this point in his career that he doesn't have time to really review your file and personalize your treatment because he is so busy.
Do not book appointments around work. They are never on time. A couple before us sat in the waiting for for hours and couldn't wait any longer and finally they scheduled another appointment. There was no compassion!
My husband and I waited in the waiting room for over 3 hourse just to fit go back in the room and he hadnt even read our chart. He asked us to get testing done that we already had. We told him that was already done and he started flipping through our file and said oh your right.
None. We left and never went back after the consult.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
They need more doctor's. Or just period Dr. Brown needs to take a step back and really think about actually reading and getting to know his patients. Just like his time is valuable ours is too. We are coming to his clinic because of the success rates hoping this will be it! We should not sit in a waiting room for 5-6 hours past our appointment just to be told to do testing we have already done. There isnt even a sorry!
12k
Jacksonville

Dr. Brown was incredibly caring and patient. He answered all our questions truthfully and our appointments never felt rushed...I have PCOS and recurrent pregnancy loss. I also have the MTHFR mutation. We did 3 trials of timed intercourse...We did testing for RPL as that was my second miscarriage...We did 2 more TIC trials before moving on to IUI...I felt like he genuinely cared about us and our outcome. I never felt like just a number
All the nurses and staff [of Brown Fertility] were so wonderful...The waiting rooms are comfortable, clean and friendly...Even with long wait times I still felt cared for...The IUI was around 500$ just for the procedure. Each U/S was 250$...[clinic error] After we did testing for RPL we went in to consult about those results and the doctor didn’t have them..we shared our concerns and had another appointment where we spoke more in-depth about those results.
How was your experience with Samuel Brown at Brown Fertility?
He is a wonderful doctor. Our experience was great considering the circumstances. We went through the office for 4 different procedures, 3 TIC and 1 IUI. Multiple tests and 1 surgery. Through everything he was always kind and caring and took time to communicate with us.
Make sure you have a list of questions and don’t hesitate to advocate for yourself.
Dr. Brown was incredibly caring and patient. He answered all our questions truthfully and our appointments never felt rushed. I felt like he genuinely cared about us and our outcome. I never felt like just a number with Dr. Brown or Dr. Rose.
I have PCOS and recurrent pregnancy loss. I also have the MTHFR mutation. We did 3 trials of timed intercourse. The first one resulted in pregnancy which ended in a miscarriage at 9 weeks 4 days. We did testing for RPL as that was my second miscarriage. I found out I have the MTHFR mutation. We did 2 more TIC trials before moving on to IUI. We were informed the chances of conceiving with TIC were very low and if we moved on to IUI they were significantly higher. Unfortunately all have resulted in negatives.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brown Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Chrissy )
All the nurses and staff were so wonderful. We had one experience that wasn’t as pleasant, I don’t remember her name but she was filling in for one of our monitoring scans. She was rushed and didn’t do a great job of communicating. Every other nurse we have encountered has been amazing.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
Wait times were long but that can be expected. There was always water, snacks, coffee and HGTV on so that is a win in my book. Even with long wait times I still felt cared for. Just go in and be patient. The waiting rooms are comfortable, clean and friendly so it wasn’t terrible.
The IUI was around 500$ just for the procedure. Each U/S was 250$.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brown Fertility.
After we did testing for RPL we went in to consult about those results and the doctor didn’t have them. When we inquired about those he seemed confused. He had to go get them and look over them with us sitting right there. I felt a little unsure leaving that appointment due to the lack of time he had to go over those results but in the end we shared our concerns and had another appointment where we spoke more in-depth about those results.
Jacksonville

We met with Dr. Cabrera for our consult and appointment for results on labs, He is very nice and takes his time to explain information. It is too early to thoroughly review him as we have not started treatment....You have to be ready with questions. He does take his time and explain but I noticed we had to ask about vitamins and procedures and what are the next steps.
Nice office, seems to be busy. They [Brown Fertility] have a class that you take with a nurse to discuss finance and the process. It is $100 and only valid for 90 days... The Siemen analysis was $195 Consultation was $100-$150 Bloodwork and Genetic testing seemed to be covered under my insurance... When doing genetic testing they let you know that you will be contacted if something is positive but that leaves you wondering when you do not hear a response.
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
Dr. Cabrera was very easy to talk to, I did not feel rushed during our consultation. We felt comfortable speaking with him and asking questions
We have major male factor infertility and I have a low AMH. Dr. Cabrera recommended IVF with ICSI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brown Fertility.
Not enough interaction with nursing staff to rate, I did have an issue with an appointment that was scheduled with the main office but not entered and when I arrived I did not have an appointment. I was able to see the doctor but now I v verify my appointments since this office is an our away for me
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
Nice office, seems to be busy. They have a class that you take with a nurse to discuss finance and the process. It is $100 and only valid for 90 days (I believe the quote is ) I am having to wait 6 months to start IVF because of a medical procedure I had done (I have to wait a year) I was a little disappointed that I could not get an exact amount upfront now. I was thankful that a nurse reviewed my file and noticed that I would not be starting IVF until later during the year and explained the 90 day expiration and having to retake the class if I did it this early.
During our first consultation, Dr. Cabrera said that we would transfer 1 embryo because of my age (34) but once my results came that showed a very low AMH he said we would only retrieve 5-6 eggs and that he would suggest 2
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brown Fertility.
When doing genetic testing they let you know that you will be contacted if something is positive but that leaves you wondering when you do not hear a response. I called the office to see if my results where in and they said ''Yes'' and that I would have to get the results from the doctor. When I arrived at my appointment the nurse was surprised and said I did not need an appointment that everything was negative.
Orlando