C.A.R.E for the Bay Area

Genetic counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
555 Knowles Drive
Los Gatos, California 95032
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend C.A.R.E for the Bay Area to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 2Neutral: 28.5
1 doctor
Other, Unexplained
The clinic [C.A.R.E.] is quaint, comfortable and welcoming. The staff at the fron, Irene specifially will great you and offer you something to drink. They have water, tea, coffee, and a variety of other options to drink.... I love working with Sandra and feel I get my best care when I work with her. I don’t feel as comfortable with the other nurses, not because they are not great, but because I don’t feel they know me or what my issues are.
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with C.A.R.E for the Bay Area.
The clinic is quaint, comfortable and welcoming. The staff at the fron, Irene specifially will great you and offer you something to drink. They have water, tea, coffee, and a variety of other options to drink.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area?
What I like about C.A.R.E. is that it is strictly Dr. Purcell’s clinic, making it a little smaller and intimate. I work with Sandra mostly and feel that she tracks and supports my care pretty closely. Irene always greets me when I was in and asks if I would like something to drink. They allow me to bring my daughter when needed, and even volunteered to watch her while my husband and I had a consultation with Dr. Purcell. I feel they have been very accommodating with my schedule, especially since I have to go so often. They allow me to come for blood draws before the clinic officially opens so I don’t have to bring my daughter with me, and have offered to stay late to meet us for a consultation or for my husband to fill out paperwork.
Describe your experience with your nurse at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area. (Assigned nurse: Sandra)
I love working with Sandra and feel I get my best care when I work with her. I don’t feel as comfortable with the other nurses, not because they are not great, but because I don’t feel they know me or what my issues are. When we had a calendar issue around a trip, Sandra built out 5 calendar options and sat down with me for 30 minutes to go over each one so that I could select which worked best. When I was having an issue with information, she promised to sit in on the the next appointment so she could answer any additional questions I had.
How was your experience with Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area?
Dr. Purcell is a Yale MD and PhD and and I feel confident in her knowledge and experience. I am unsure of her statistics and never thought to ask, as I was impressed with her from our first consultation. Dr. Purcell does every ultrasound and while they are typically quick, she will always stay and answer questions or concerns that I have. I feel that she is always thinking deeply and processing things, even though she doesn’t always explain in detail unless asked. Sometimes I don’t know what questions to ask, and so I don’t always get all the information I need, but when I do, she always explains things thoroughly. She pays attention to my schedule and works to build my treatment plan around it. I know she takes the time to think about me when I’m not there as she will get back to me once she processes all the information and blood work results. When I have called before with questions the nurse cannot answer, Dr. Purcell has taken the time to call me back. We are still in the midst of treatment, and have not been successful yet, but I would still highly recommend her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area?
Do more outside research of procedures so you know what to expect going in. She is good at explaining medically what will happen, but not all the logistics. I also felt unprepared for the extent of the recovery post retrieval, but Dr. Purcell was also surprised by how severely my body reacted, so she couldn’t have prepared me for that.
Describe the protocols Karen Purcell used in your cycles at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area and their degree of success.
I have amenorrhea and don’t cycle on my own, so my protocol was always a little different, and everything was based on how I reposnded based on my bloodwork. For my IUIs, I took a combination of clomid, ovidril, and progesterone. For my retrieval cycle and one FET I took menopur, follistim, and ganirelix, plus progesterone post transfer. For my second FET I took estrace and PIO.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area.
Insurance: 41K Personal: roughly 5K
Describe Karen Purcell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area.
Dr. Purcell feels strongly in eSET when embryos have been PGS tested. I understood her reasoning, and agreed to avoid the risk.
Los Gatos
Sandra [ a nurse] was very busy and often mixed me up with other patients on the phone. Seems like when they hired an office manager, Sandra seemed to be more organized and communicated with me in a much more prompt manner. Otherwise was very sweet and compassionate.... Appointments were easy to get and as the office manager really made a difference in scheduling and smoothness of visits. My first visit I sat in my gown for over 30 minutes, Dr. P was rushed. the subsequent visits became smoother and more efficient. I was able to be in and out in 20 minutes, even with blood draw. She didn't advocate any extra supplements or acupuncturist but was supportive.
Describe your experience with C.A.R.E for the Bay Area.
It took 7 months to get an appointment. Dr. P was an hour late for an appointment but she did give me the full 30 minute consult and strategies on how to proceed. Appointments were easy to get and as the office manager really made a difference in scheduling and smoothness of visits. My first visit I sat in my gown for over 30 minutes, Dr. P was rushed. the subsequent visits became smoother and more efficient. I was able to be in and out in 20 minutes, even with blood draw. She didn't advocate any extra supplements or acupuncturist but was supportive.
Even though her office is extremely she spend the whole appointment time answering questions and explaining the next steps.
Sandra was very busy and often mixed me up with other patients on the phone. Seems like when they hired an office manager, Sandra seemed to be more organized and communicated with me in a much more prompt manner. Otherwise was very sweet and compassionate.
How was your experience with Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area?
Dr. Purcell has a very busy office but always takes time for the patient. Knowing this was my only and last cycle I wish more would have been done to prepare me for a more successful retrieval and outcome.
Do research ahead and push for HCG especially if you have frequent chemicals or miscarriages.
She recommended the 5 day retrieval and PGS testing to get the best embryos. She used the minimal dosage of drugs and I responded really well. Sadly we only retrieved 7 eggs because she had trouble getting to my ovaries. Ultimately it was the weight ( i gained 30 lbs thru all the treatments) that prevented the access to my ovaries. we only ended up with 4 embryos via ICSI (we used hubby's sperm from vitals they retrieved at another clinic via mTESE). We ended up with 1 embryo at end of day 5 and it did not take. I feel the implant time might have been off even though we did two ERA's (mock cycles). With other attempts I had chemicals aka implantation but failed to thrive.
$900.00 – anesthesia & surgical supplies $10,760.00 – embryo cryo cycle $960.00 – 1 yr embryo storage $2,100.00 – ICSI $4575.00 – PGS test $1,875.00 – Igenomix Fee (outside lab that performs PGS test) $960.00 – 1 yr sperm storage $5,500.00 – Medication (approximate cost, depends on pharmacy - payable to pharmacy) $3,066.00 – Frozen embryo transfer (does not get billed until you are ready to do the transfer)
Dr. Purcell strongly believes in eSET
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
There has been quit a bit of turnover [at C.A.R.E. for the Bay Area] but everyone has been very nice. They at times seem to need better understanding of some of the bloodwork lingo. I'm a very educated patient and sometimes felt I knew more than they did.... $9000 for fresh $2000 for icsi pgs $4800 lab fee frozen transfer $3500... It's really nice that you get to see her and not a tech at each ultrasound visit.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with C.A.R.E for the Bay Area.
Strengths are the physician, affordability, location and billing coordinator. Weaknesses are not best place for advanced or difficult cases. Turnover with nurses
Really good bedside manner. Does all procedures herself never see a tech. Very approachable with issues. Amazing staff
There has been quit a bit of turnover but everyone has been very nice. They at times seem to need better understanding of some of the bloodwork lingo. I'm a very educated patient and sometimes felt I knew more than they did
How was your experience with Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area?
She has an amazing bedside manner, is extremely intelligent and doesn't push excess medicine. Which can be good and bad. Have to really ask for sown of the extras but her reasons are usually because she is well read on what really works. Comparatively she is affordable to other clinics in area. It's really nice that you get to see her and not a tech at each ultrasound visit. She isn't big into testing things until there is an issue which can be good and bad.
She is very open to suggestions and needs. Just do your research and understand what you are bringing to the table as she is very clinical. If you have serious autoimmune issues she may not be best choice as she doesn't fully believe in some of those controversial treatments. If you are a simple or unexplained case she is best. For me I'm DOR but produce normal eggs I have implantation failure.
Long Lupron protocol every cycle. Anywhere from 5-8 eggs. Pgs normal eggs every cycle anywhere from 1-3. One fresh fail transfer and 2 frozen failed transfer. All PGS normals. Did ERA test came back pre receptive, did another with medicine adjustment then was receptive followed this plan for transfer of pgs normal and still failed. Not sure what the issue is. Just bad luck or something else
Very favorable. $9000 for fresh $2000 for icsi pgs $4800 lab fee frozen transfer $3500
She will ESET. But transferred 2 on first frozen because on of the embryos had boarder line grading but still pgs normal. One 3AB one 3BC
Los Gatos
At Care for the Bay Area you are not a number, you get personalized care. When you walk in everyone knows your name and your husbands. Its like a family.... I think she [the nurse] could be better with communication and explaining what is going on. Sometimes I ask her questions and she isn't able to mention. Sometimes she confuses me with other patients, which is not like Dr. Purcell.
Describe your experience with C.A.R.E for the Bay Area.
Dr. Purcell is one of the kindest people I have ever met in my life. She make you feel like you are her one and only favorite patient. Every time I leave her office I always feel hopeful, no matter what the outcome.
Describe your experience with your nurse at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area. (Assigned nurse: Erika)
I think she could be better with communication and explaining what is going on. Sometimes I ask her questions and she isn't able to mention. Sometimes she confuses me with other patients, which is not like Dr. Purcell.
How was your experience with Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area?
Dr. Purcell always makes me feel calm and hopeful. She is able to understand each patient and how they are, so she can adjust her style to taylor each patient. If anything ever goes wrong she takes the time to spend time in her consultation going over all of my questions and concerns. She is the kindest person and I adore her.
I would say to make sure to educate yourself to ask questions because Dr. Purcell tends to not stress her patients out with all the details, so if you want the details you need to ask.
Full Cycle not including meds, but including PGS Testing 15,500