Genetic counseling: Offered
505.702.8020
6500 Jefferson St. Suite 250
Albuquerque, NM 87109
505.702.8020
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Caperton Fertility Institute to a friend?

1 doctor
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Ivf includes icsi and pgs and a cycle is about 18k [at Caperton Fertility Institute]. Anesthesia for egg retrieval is another 500 Carrier screening was 250 and we're still not sure if my insurance will cover that. Meds ran me about $4500 with extra lupron from the cancelled cycle and poor responder meds...I've had to ask a handful of times for clarification on plans but that's it...They also do ICSI and genetic screening for everybody, which is a controversial approach (but again, indicated for me), so be sure to do research and ask questions.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Caperton Fertility Institute.
CFI is awesome. They've never been anything but efficient, kind and caring with us. I've had to ask a handful of times for clarification on plans but that's it. They do have a lower threshold for recommending IVF than the other clinic in the area but in my case is was my only option anyway as my tubes are blocked. They also do ICSI and genetic screening for everybody, which is a controversial approach (but again, indicated for me), so be sure to do research and ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute?
His staff knows your name when you walk in the door. They ask how you're doing. They're compassionate and friendly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Caperton Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Vigil)
Ashley is so kind and helpful. I can email her anytime with questions and she gets back to me so quickly.
How was your experience with Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute?
Dr. Caperton is a perfectionist. He will tweak, adjust and individualize your protocol based on what he sees. He's not always great at explaining his "why" so you frequently have to pin him down and ask him to explain himself, but he will. He is very blunt about prognosis and plans, but he absolutely cares. He'll adjust your pillow during an ultrasound or come chat even when there's not a specific clinical concern.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute?
Keep asking questions until you're satisfied with the answer and ready to move forward.
Describe the protocols Lee Caperton used in your cycles at Caperton Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
I was initially on lupron and birth control for suppression, he added poor responder meds to my stim cycle when my suppressed AFC was low (testosterone and HGH). He plans to suppress me between retrieval and transfer because I have endometriosis.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute.
Ivf includes icsi and pgs and a cycle is about 18k. Anesthesia for egg retrieval is another 500 Carrier screening was 250 and we're still not sure if my insurance will cover that. Meds ran me about $4500 with extra lupron from the cancelled cycle and poor responder meds.
Describe Lee Caperton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Caperton Fertility Institute.
Dr. Caperton feels very strongly about only transferring one genetically normal embryo and recommends PGS for this reason.
Caperton Fertility Institute

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute.

One weakness I’ve noticed is that they [Caperton Fertility Inst] don’t keep great record of the deposit you pay. ... A strength that the clinic has is it’s waiting room. It may seem silly but they offer free water, coffee, tea or soda. It helped me feel more calm and relaxed ... The whole thing cost around $22,000. ... They try and make your experience there pleasant. The coordinator that I was assignmed to is amazing.
Describe your experience with Caperton Fertility Institute.
A strength that the clinic has is it’s waiting room. It may seem silly but they offer free water, coffee, tea or soda. It helped me feel more calm and relaxed to have a waiting room like this. One weakness I’ve noticed is that they don’t keep great record of the deposit you pay. When making my first appointment I had to make a $50 deposit. If your copay was less then they would refund the money or keep it as a credit for the next visit. I had to tell them that I made that payment and had credit. Once I mentioned it hey found the info so it didn’t Cause any problems.
Dr. Caperton takes the time to explain the process. He has seen it all so he is able to answer any question. I have endometriosis and he is a specialists in endo so he was able to help me understand my condition better. The staff is amazing at making you feel like this process isn’t crazy and hard.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Caperton Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Ashley )
The whole staff is amazing. They try and make your experience there pleasant. The coordinator that I was assignmed to is amazing. She took the time to go over everything with us. She gave us a calendar that explained when we will do the shots and medicine, when we go in for ultrasounds and when we will do the retrieval. She sent us home with a packet of info. She gave us her direct number and said to call if we have any questions. She is definitely there for us. Even though we aren’t the clinics only patients, they make us feel like we are with the time and care they show us.
How was your experience with Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute?
Dr. Caperton has been through the ivf process with his wife. He knows the concerns and the stress. He talked us through everything. He is very personable and helpful. He also helps with keeping things light and fun. Yes, this can be a stressful time but while with him you don’t feel the stress. My husband and I always leave his office feeling prepared.
Don’t be afraid to ask anything. He will always give you an honest answer.
One thing that I like that he does with protocol is preparing the uterus. I know not all fertility clinics do this. He spends a few months getting the uterus ready to carry a baby to term.
The whole thing cost around $22,000. There were three different payments. One to the clinic, one to the pharmacy for all the medication and one for anastegiologist. With the clinic it was about $17,900. That includes all the monitoring, retrieval of eggs, genetic testing, assisted hacking, transfer, 10 week monitor and more. The pharmacy was for all the medication that I have to inject. And the last is for the retrieval.
Dr. Caperton spent lots of money and time to research and figure out the safest way to do eset. He only does single transfers unless the parents otherwise directs him.

2009 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
The new Clinic [Caperton Fertility Institute] is state of the art. Lots of windows and light. The lobby and waiting area is designed to make you feel at home, which it definitely accomplishes. It alsmost has a spa-like feel instead of a medical clinic. Now I will tell you that at first these superficial things did not necessarily sway me, as I feel like the doctor and Staff are more important than the shiny Office. But I do think the new Office helps you relax a bit more and decreases some anxiety you may have. All of this to say, don’t let the fancy new Office be a turn off to you. The Clinic is big, but don’t let that scare you away thinking that the doctor won’t have time for you or won’t have time to answer questions. They take as much time as you need and always tell you there is no rush and are available for questions or concerns.
2009 - 2018
European, Latino, Native American
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Caperton Fertility Institute.
I have followed Dr. Caperton from his clinic he shared with Dr. Thompson to the new practice, Caperton Fertility, so I can describe both clinics. At the previous Clinic, the location was in the basement of a hospital which was a bit odd. While it felt private it also felt very dark and like a cave, but that did not bother me too much. The new Clinic is state of the art. Lots of windows and light. The lobby and waiting area is designed to make you feel at home, which it definitely accomplishes. It alsmost has a spa-like feel instead of a medical clinic. Now I will tell you that at first these superficial things did not necessarily sway me, as I feel like the doctor and Staff are more important than the shiny Office. But I do think the new Office helps you relax a bit more and decreases some anxiety you may have. All of this to say, don’t let the fancy new Office be a turn off to you. The Clinic is big, but don’t let that scare you away thinking that the doctor won’t have time for you or won’t have time to answer questions. They take as much time as you need and always tell you there is no rush and are available for questions or concerns.
Dr. Caperton has a large Clinic but always remembered who I was and took the time to answer questions candidly. I never felt like he was too busy to answer my questions—no matter how small or silly the question seemed. His staff is the same way—very caring and helpful. They are very invested in helping you achieve your goals.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Caperton Fertility Institute.
The nursing staff is fantastic. They are friendly, approachable, caring, and knowledgeable. I felt like they became my cheerleaders and support system through this process. They answered any questions I had or were able to find the answers for me. They were always very supportive and positive—even when I sometimes was not optimistic. They were genuinely excited for my successes as if we were friends instead of in a professional relationship capacity.
How was your experience with Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute?
Dr. Caperton was always available to answer questions I had. He was receptive to concerns and was willing to explain why his plan was a better idea than yours if that was the case. He was still willing to go your way if that was a safe plan and your wish after hearing him out. He always took the time to make sure I was comfortable with the plan and procedure, without feeling like I was being rushed. While he has a good bedside manner and can treat you delicately if need be, I don’t feel like he ever sugarcoated things. He was honest about the potential for risks and the potential results. Personally, he is charming and funny which helps put you at ease.
Don’t judge a book by its cover—he is good-looking which for some people can be off-putting or make you think he is just a pretty face or arrogant. He is good at what he does and I felt comfortable working with him and have been a patient for 7 years now. If you have questions, don’t be afraid to ask them—even if you think they are silly or dumb questions. He will take the time needed.
I first decided to start with trying IUI using donor sperm. Dr. Caperton suggested this approach as it was the least invasive and least expensive. These cycles involved using Clomid because I have PCOS. The first two cycles produced no pregnancies. The third cycle produced a pregnancy which I carried to full-term. He caught a thyroid problem very early on and remedied it which I was extremely grateful for. After that, I tried 7-8 more IUI cycles before deciding to switch to IVF. He was willing to let me continue with IUIs but I decided that if I was going to keep spending all that money, I might as well go the IVF route with hopefully better chances of success. I completed one IVF egg retrieval cycle which produced 20 eggs. 5 of those made it to the embryo stage and were genetically sound. The genetic testing done gave us information about the quality of the embryos but also the gender of each embryo. I completed one frozen transfer with one embryo which produced a negative pregnancy test. Next frozen embryo transfer cycle I chose to put 2 embryos in. Because of a uterine anomaly I have he was more Inclined to take a conservative approach and only put one embryo in, but allowed me to put 2 embryos in explaining the risks. My pregnancy test came back positive this time. I started off with 2 embryos and 2 heartbeats. Around 11 weeks I lost one, but successfully carried the second to full term.
My health insurance does not cover any infertility costs. This meant I was considered “self-pay” and because of that, the Clinic offers you a discount. My IUI cycles ranged from $600-1000 including the IUI transfer, and ultrasound(s)—some of those cycles warranted more than one ultrasound. My IVF retrieval including one transfer, genetic testing, and all required medications cost around $16-18K, with my insurance covering some of the medication cost, and applying for a discounted pharmacy to begin with.
Dr. Caperton takes a more conservative approach. He will likely not be willing to put an excessive amount of embryos in because as he told me they are more interested in success of healthy babies rather than quantity of babies. I appreciate this because in the end you want a healthy baby, not 3 babies who may have health issues, right? He is not closed to hearing your arguments about wanting to put more than one in, just don’t expect him to agree to putting in more than 2-3 depending on your medical situation. I was able to select which embryo(s) to put in. In other words, if you have both male and female embryos you can choose which to put in. This can be disconcerting for some, or exciting that they can predetermine which gender they put in.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Other, Unexplained
The staff [at Caperton Fertility Institute] is friendly and always greets you by name...Ashley [nurse] is always available to answer questions. She is knowledgeable as well as friendly. She is skilled at her profession and has a strong passion for the field well...IUIs cost us near $500. The IVF process has cost us around $22,000...The clinic is patient-forward. They give you the feeling that you are their number one priority nearly all of the time. One area of improvement would be to offer classes and more educational materials surrounding IVF medications, specifically injectables.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Caperton Fertility Institute.
The staff is friendly and always greets you by name. Dr. caperton was extremely empathetic when we suffered a while miscarriage under his care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Caperton Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
Ashley is always available to answer questions. She is knowledgeable as well as friendly. She is skilled at her profession and has a strong passion for the field well.
How was your experience with Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute?
Dr. Caperton is passionate about his work. He is always straight-forward and honest with his opinions. He seems to always be striving to do better at his work. He also is knowledgeable on the current research and findings in reproductive medicine.
Trust the process.
Dr. Caperton began or process with suggested IUI. After several failed attempts and one miscarriage, he consulted with us and advised us to consider IVF and genetic testing. We ultimately because of cost decided to continue trying via IUI. Unfortunately, we were not successful. We again consulted with Dr. Caperton and with his guidance decided to obtain a loan to begin the process of IVF. We are currently in the middle of this process. We've already gone through egg retrieval l, however we are waiting to undergo the transfer as I am currently being treated for endometriosis.
Our insurance does not provide infertility coverage. Typically, IUIs cost us near $500. The IVF process has cost us around $22,000.
Dr. Caperton strongly recommends single egg retrieval as he believes that the risk of having multiples outweighs the gains of success. We agree with this as well.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
One nurse [at Caperton Fertility Institute], Ashley, was excellent. The others were okay..I wound up with six collected, four fertilized and made it to day 3, one made it to day 5, and PGS tested normal. The eggs were fertilized with ICSI. I had thyroid problems and uterine problems. I wound up on Lupron. I don't know if it helped or not. I wound up not completing a transfer at this clinic because I felt the doctor was overstretched.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Caperton Fertility Institute.
I think Dr. Caperton is an excellent surgeon and his lab is good. I worry that he is spread to thin because he opened up a second clinic in El Paso. I wonder if he over-diagnoses uterine abnormalities. I
He communicated with me well.
One nurse, Ashley, was excellent. The others were okay.
How was your experience with Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute?
I was initially able to call and email Dr. Caperton. He got more busy as time went on, and then he was less communicative. He has a humorous manner which is sometimes relaxing and sometimes off-putting. He performed several surgeries on me. He seems to diagnoses septate uterus and adenomyosis more than other doctors.
Don't take his jokes seriously.
I did egg retrieval. I was on menopur and follistim, and used shots of human growth hormone. I was on a lower dose of follistim (I think 150mg) than most because I had diminished ovarian reserve (low AMH), and he felt over-stimulating was bad for egg quality. I was also given an androgen gel for my arm early in the cycle, and I may have used Ganirelix at the end, but I can't remember. I only had one egg at the start, I wound up with six collected, four fertilized and made it to day 3, one made it to day 5, and PGS tested normal. The eggs were fertilized with ICSI. I had thyroid problems and uterine problems. I wound up on Lupron. I don't know if it helped or not. I wound up not completing a transfer at this clinic because I felt the doctor was overstretched.
It was $20000. He charges tax and he charged a credit card fee, I don't know if that still happens.
eSET, although I only had one. I did not complete a transfer with him.

2013 - 2018
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
Did not feel like interactions were personable. And seemed like there is a lack of compassion....Weakness is making some patients not feel like there is compassion for their situation. And they [Caperton Fertility Institute] seem to charge more if you have insurance than if you were paying out of pocket. Strength is that Dr. Caperton is knowledgeable... Used insurance however if I didnt have would have been at least $10,000 paid so far and have not had iui or ivf yet...
2013 - 2018
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with Caperton Fertility Institute.
This review is for Dr. Capertons new clinic since Reproductive Med of NM has closed Weakness is making some patients not feel like there is compassion for their situation. And they seem to charge more if you have insurance than if you were paying out of pocket. Strength is that Dr. Caperton is knowledgeable
Did not feel like interactions were personable. And seemed like there is a lack of compassion. Felt like high priced treatment is suggested first.
Great
How was your experience with Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute?
Very knowledgeable but has a demenure that can appear cocky. Seemed like the clinic is after high priced treatment. Often felt like there was not good explination or rushed visits without clear indication of next steps. A lot of visits told need to loose weight before treatment. Then would try weightloss and so much time passes he would want to start process all over again with preliminary testing
Be prepared with the questions beforehand that you want to ask and ask for clarification on things you dont understand before he leaves the exam room. Be your own advocate and be clear about the treatment method you want
Clomid then suggested IVF. Negative results on clomid.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Beautiful clinic [Caperton Fertility Institute] & friendly staff -- good experience at this clinic! Equipment/rooms all appear very new and up to date. Also very calming environment which is wonderful during this stressful, emotional process. Recommend highly ... Quick response via email with questions & concerns ... initial visit including ultrasound was about $400 ...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Caperton Fertility Institute.
Beautiful clinic & friendly staff -- good experience at this clinic! Equipment/rooms all appear very new and up to date. Also very calming environment which is wonderful during this stressful, emotional process. Recommend highly.
He came to the waiting room to bring us back for our initial consult! Listened and continued to ask questions throughout our appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Caperton Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
Quick response via email with questions & concerns
How was your experience with Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute?
Straight forward, reassuring, confident -- so many questions addressed & answered during the initial visit -- we felt very good after leaving his office. History/exam, new diagnosis, and IVF cycle scheduled and planned all in the same afternoon!
started OCPs, waiting for meds, haven't started IVF cycle yet -- but he told us that minimal doses will be used due to diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve
initial visit including ultrasound was about $400