Genetic counseling is not offered

1231 S. Jefferson St
Roanoke, VA 24016
540-985-8078

2019, Consult
Dr. Gentry refused to treat me because my BMI was too high... explained the basics of conception to us fairly well and then outlined the treatment plan. Only then did she tell me that I was ineligible for care from her practice unless I lost enough weight to lower my BMI to the BMI cutoff of 40. Her justification was that above 40 I would be less likely to conceive and more likely to miscarry -- both true, but the difference in risk is marginal.
The clinic [Carilion Clinic] has a BMI limit of 40 -- if you are over this threshold, they will not treat you...The nursing staff was quick and efficient...The cost of one IUI cycle was about $500 before the cost of sperm, which is entirely dependent on which bank you use. For us, the cost was going to be about $1,500 per cycle...The nurses were very friendly and efficient. We didn't interact with them very much, but they were helpful and organized when we did. They clearly knew what they were doing.
How was your experience with Adrienne Gentry at Carilion Clinic?
My wife and I (same sex couple) went in for a consult with Dr. Gentry. We haven't tried to conceive before and have no diagnosed infertility. I am planning to be the carrier. Dr. Gentry explained the basics of conception to us fairly well and then outlined the treatment plan. Only then did she tell me that I was ineligible for care from her practice unless I lost enough weight to lower my BMI to the BMI cutoff of 40. Her justification was that above 40 I would be less likely to conceive and more likely to miscarry -- both true, but the difference in risk is marginal. I understand the risks and am fully willing to try to conceive at this weight. Throughout the whole process she made me feel like my weight was dangerous and all my fault (even thought I have a pretty significant diagnosed disorder that contributes to it), and basically said that if we weren't able to get pregnant or if we experienced a miscarriage I would be responsible for it simply because I'm overweight. She basically said that I didn't deserve to have a baby unless I lost weight and got "healthy." I am trying not to believe her but honestly this took a huge toll on my mental health. Another note for LGBTQ+ folks, she gave us a very long, disingenuous speech about how she personally was fighting for LGBTQ rights and told us about a protest she went to. It felt very fake and like the treatment we often get from people who are trying so hard to prove that they aren't homophobic that they forget they're talking to real people and not the whole of the LBGBTQ community.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Adrienne Gentry at Carilion Clinic?
She seems like she would be a perfectly fine doctor for a straight couple with conventional bodies -- which I don't think is a very big section of the fertility community.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Adrienne Gentry at Carilion Clinic?
Dr. Gentry refused to treat me because my BMI was too high. She said the Carilion Reproductive Medicine & Fertility practice has a BMI limit for treatment. As far as I know, public health has trended far away from using BMI as an indicator of health, but apparently Dr. Gentry hasn't heart about that.
Describe the protocols Adrienne Gentry used in your cycles at Carilion Clinic and their degree of success.
We were planning to do IUI. The practice lets you select your own donor sperm from any bank you choose. We were directed to base most of our decision of which donor to choose on how many successful live births the donor had produced. She recommended we buy at least three vials at a time. The practice has cryo storage on-site. She does use Clomid for all couples, even if there are no known fertility issues. She does a hysterosalpingography on every patient, along with the FDA-required testing, along with a baseline ultrasound and one at ovulation each month.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
The clinic has a BMI limit of 40 -- if you are over this threshold, they will not treat you. Dr. Gentry took a good amount of time with us even for our first consult, which was nice. She explained things clearly and often asked if we had questions. The nursing staff was quick and efficient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Adrienne Gentry at Carilion Clinic.
Roanoke

Dr. Gentry has always treated myself and my wife with the utmost respect. She takes the time to explain everything in detail and is very responsive via email and telephone...[she] was very knowledgeable of what was needed for my treatment being in an LGBTQ relationship...[she] has been sensitive to our needs and concerns and has spent the time to walk us through our options for future treatment.
The [Carilion Clinic] front office staff and nursing staff at this clinic are always welcoming and accommodating...Cycle ultrasounds were around $165 and insemination is around $240...We have had nothing but good experiences with the clinic. Our insurance company has been a pain to deal with at times and any time that I needed to reach out and get a receipt or explanation of care the clinic has been more than accommodating.
How was your experience with Adrienne Gentry at Carilion Clinic?
My wife and I have had nothing but great experiences with Dr. Gentry. She is knowledgeable, she responds in a very timely manner, and has always taken the time to explain the various aspects of my treatment. We would 100% recommend her for fertility care. Our treatment plan did not come to fruition as we had originally anticipated due to fibroids that had to be removed over a few surgeries. Through the surgeries and various procedures I have had done, Dr. Gentry has been sensitive to our needs and concerns and has spent the time to walk us through our options for future treatment.
Some fertility clinics have a backlog for new patients (not sure that there currently is with this clinic) but we are so glad that we chose to wait and work with Dr. Gentry. My piece advice would be not to wait and to go ahead and get in for a consultation :)
How competent was Adrienne Gentry at LGBTQ care?
Dr. Gentry was very knowledgeable of what was needed for my treatment being in an LGBTQ relationship. She is always respectful and welcoming.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
The front office staff and nursing staff at this clinic are always welcoming and accommodating.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
Cycle ultrasounds were around $165 and insemination is around $240.
Roanoke

Dr. Gentry is so personable, and she truly understands what couples are going through. She gives advice and direction based off of your personal situation...is incredibly open and honest about treatment, rates of success, side effects, etc. I didn't experience a single thing during treatment that I wasn't advised about beforehand. She is knowledgeable in all things fertility related and I absolutely trust her judgement. She never made me feel as though I was just a number, and never belittled any of my concerns.
The staff [at Carilion Clinic] is made up of several nurses who struggled with fertility themselves, and received care at this clinic. They have the personal experiences to share and truly understand what the patients are going through...The entire IUI (Medications, Ultrasounds, IUI procedure) was about $700...The clinic is so welcoming and inviting. Celia, at the front desk, is the epitome of the person you'd want as the first face patients see when they come through the door. The staff always speaks to the patients like they are old friends, not as though they are just another body coming through the facility.
How was your experience with Adrienne Gentry at Carilion Clinic?
Dr. Gentry is incredibly open and honest about treatment, rates of success, side effects, etc. I didn't experience a single thing during treatment that I wasn't advised about beforehand. She is knowledgeable in all things fertility related and I absolutely trust her judgement. She never made me feel as though I was just a number, and never belittled any of my concerns.
You will receive a lot of information at your consultation, take notes.
My consultation was in December. I had a Saline Ultrasound the following week, and in January my first IUI was scheduled. I had my baseline ultrasound around CD3, took Clomid on CD5-9, had my mid-cycle ultrasound to check my follicles on CD11, trigger shot on CD12, and the IUI procedure on CD13. For this cycle, I had three follicles. Unfortunately the IUI failed. In February when my next cycle started, I scheduled my baseline ultrasound to set up IUI #2. At that appointment I learned that the Clomid caused me to produce two cysts on my ovaries. I wouldn't be able to proceed with an IUI that cycle and would have to try again in March. Dr. Gentry advised that since the Clomid made me produce cysts, we wouldn't be trying that medication again. My next IUI would be paired with Letrozole. Her rationale was that if I had that reaction to the Clomid, I probably wouldn't have it with the Letrozole. When my cycle began in March, I went in for my baseline ultrasound, and everything was clear. This time I took Letrozole on CD5-9, had my mid-cycle ultrasound on CD10, trigger shot on CD13, and IUI on CD15. For this cycle I had four follicles. Unfortunately, that IUI also failed. When my next cycle started I called the clinic to set up my next baseline ultrasound, but due to COVID-19 all new cycles have been postponed. I was advised to call back in April once my cycle began again to see if the clinic was back up and running. I completely understood why the clinic wasn't starting new cycles, I just wish I could've gone in for a baseline ultrasound to see if I had the same reaction to the Letrozole that I had with the Clomid.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
The staff is made up of several nurses who struggled with fertility themselves, and received care at this clinic. They have the personal experiences to share and truly understand what the patients are going through.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
The entire IUI (Medications, Ultrasounds, IUI procedure) was about $700.
Roanoke
I think that she [Dr. Evans-Hoeker] is very knowledgeable in the field of reoccurring pregnancy loss. She made me feel that I was not alone and that it is very common. She made me feel like it wasn’t my fault which was huge for me. She has awesome bedside manner and she is easy to talk to...Initially there was many different types of bloodwork that she ran. They all came back normal for my husband and I
They [Carilion Clinic nursing staff] are all so supportive and uplifting when you are there for a visit...I was told if we chose IVF, due to my age (33), there would only be 1 embryo transferred which was a little disappointing...The only piece of advice that I could give someone would be to brush up on your fertility journey before your initial consultation. There are LOTS of questions and dates that are involved.
How was your experience with Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
I think that she is very knowledgeable in the field of reoccurring pregnancy loss. She made me feel that I was not alone and that it is very common. She made me feel like it wasn’t my fault which was huge for me. She has awesome bedside manner and she is easy to talk to.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
I received personal messages of encouragement and she always answered messages timely.
Describe the protocols Emily Evans-Hoeker used in your cycles at Carilion Clinic and their degree of success.
Initially there was many different types of bloodwork that she ran. They all came back normal for my husband and I. I did an HSG that came back normal as well. I was diagnosed with unexplained reoccurring pregnancy loss. I did a medicated cycle with trigger shot and progesterone. Cycle failed. I could not do another cycle due to COVID restrictions.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
They are all so supportive and uplifting when you are there for a visit.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
I like how small my clinic is. I feel like I will get better care there vs. a larger clinic with more patients. I cannot think of any weaknesses at this time. We have been very happy with this clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic.
Since we have only done 1 medicated cycle in this clinic so far, our cost has not been high. However, after the COVID restrictions are lifted I imagine our cost will significantly increase.
Describe Emily Evans-Hoeker's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carilion Clinic.
Roanoke

had a miscarriage the year before, [Dr. Gentry] did not just brush over that...stopped and expressed her condolences and reminded us that while her goal is to help us have a family, that doesn’t mean our first baby isn’t important...also knows I struggle with my weight...said to use our patient portal as my accountability partner if needed...You won’t get “cut and paste” “cookie cutter” type responses from her.
[Carilion Clinic] is a smaller clinic...only two doctors there...beneficial so that they can get to know you better. But it can also cause longer waits at times...I was put in a room (already undressed) and had to wait 45 minutes for [doctor] to come in. I get anxiety around doctors so that was not a good day...The hospital they affiliate with is right down the road so if you have to go there for anything it’s convenient.
How was your experience with Adrienne Gentry at Carilion Clinic?
Dr. Gentry is very personable. She takes the time to get to know her patients and you can feel how much she cares. When I first met her I told her I had had a miscarriage the year before, she did not just brush over that. In that moment she stopped and expressed her condolences and reminded us that while her goal is to help us have a family, that doesn’t mean our first baby isn’t important. She said that during this process if we struggle with anything due to fear etc. from that previous miscarriage to be open and let her know so she can help us through it. She also knows I struggle with my weight. She said to use our patient portal as my accountability partner if needed. She loves to help her patients. She gave pointers on how I could lose weight. We communicate weekly about what I’ve been doing and how that has or hasn’t helped me. I have communicated with her when our baby’s due date approached in 2019 and how I felt not having a baby to bring home. She took time to talk with me about it and not just say oh I’m sorry and move on. She has checked in with me if I don’t reach out to her first. She is genuinely excited to help families grow their families
When she says she wants to be there for you, she means it. Don’t be afraid to open up to her. You won’t get “cut and paste” “cookie cutter” type responses from her. She genuinely cares for her patients.
She took time to get to know us as people and as a couple. Using that to help understand how to handle our situation and needs. She also loves to use the patient portal to communicate. She responds to messages quickly, and they’re personal answers not just “cookie cutter” to say she responded. Even in text you can tell she cares about you as a person!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
I didn’t have much interaction with the nurses. Mainly it was to check weight and blood pressure and assign me to a room. One issue I did have, is that I’ve always been told when taking BP you should be still and not talking. One nurse there always checked my BP while asking me to move my arm for something else as well as continuing to ask questions for my chart. It just felt like she was trying to hurry the process along so she could be done.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
This is a smaller clinic. There are only two doctors there. This is beneficial so that they can get to know you better. But it can also cause longer waits at times. Dr. Gentry was out of the office when I had to schedule my water ultrasound (it has to be done at a certain time of your cycle) so the other doctor performed it. I was put in a room (already undressed) and had to wait 45 minutes for that doctor to come in. I get anxiety around doctors so that was not a good day. That was the longest wait I’ve had there, with Dr Gentry I’ve been seen within 5 minutes of entering a room. The hospital they affiliate with is right down the road so if you have to go there for anything it’s convenient.
I had a copay each visit. We have not got to treatments yet, but we discussed prices. IUI is about $710 and is to be paid as steps are completed. Her reasoning is so you don’t pay for a full procedure and then something not get done. For example if she found I hyper-ovulated and had too many mature eggs to do the IUI I wouldn’t be charged for the remainder of the procedure, just the parts I had actually completed. I can’t remember the total for IVF.
Roanoke

Dr. Gentry will walk you through everything each step of the way...We never feel rushed or overlooked...we have completed 3 medicated IUI cycles (using Letrozole and Ovidrel), an HSG "tube test", and we are continuing treatment as I have not yet become pregnant...It is always important to my wife and I to find doctors that are welcoming and affirming to the LGBTQ+ Community - and naturally, we were nervous going into our first appointment with Dr. Gentry
nursing staff [at Carilion Clinic] has been equally informative, compassionate, and respectful. I have always felt equally comfortable in their care. Ashely Byrd [nurse], who has performed my 3 IUIs has always been wonderful and ensures my comfort and understanding throughout each procedure...The clinic itself is always very clean and well-lit - bathroom, exam rooms, waiting area, etc...Celia who checks us in and out, schedules our appointments, etc is so kind and welcoming and always knows me by name when I come in; all of the nursing staff has been wonderful, and the other doctor at the clinic
How was your experience with Adrienne Gentry at Carilion Clinic?
My wife and I (same-sex couple) started seeing Dr. Gentry in January of 2019 to consult about IUI with donor sperm. We were referred to this clinic by another LGBTQ+ couple in the area and feel like we were so lucky to have found Dr. Gentry on our journey to becoming parents. Dr. Gentry has been respectful, welcoming, very informative, and has always made us feel 100% comfortable throughout out treatment - at every appointment. When we first started, we were a bit naive to just how long our journey could possibly end up taking - we thought, okay, we just need to come to this clinic to have them perform the IUI with donor sperm for us and that's that. At our consultation, Dr. Gentry asked me to lose a certain amount of weight before my first treatment cycle and said that we could continue with our pre-treatment labs and work-ups in the mean time. I successfully did this and we continued on. After my first baseline, we realized I needed surgery to remove a benign but problematic cyst that was blocking access to my uterus. Dr. Gentry performed the surgery herself and truly eased my nervousness about having my first surgery ever - I was so thankful to know I had a brilliant, compassionate doctor to get me through this. Since then, we have completed 3 medicated IUI cycles (using Letrozole and Ovidrel), an HSG "tube test", and we are continuing treatment as I have not yet become pregnant. Although I have no gotten pregnant yet, and we have had setbacks (solely because of naturally occuring circumstances/PCOS/etc) - I am still so grateful to have Dr. Gentry doing everything she can to get us the results we all want. It is always important to my wife and I to find doctors that are welcoming and affirming to the LGBTQ+ Community - and naturally, we were nervous going into our first appointment with Dr. Gentry; however, once we were in the door we quickly realized we were in good, safe, company. Dr. Gentry has never treated us differently or as "others"; she has never made us feel discriminated against or judged by any means. Dr. Gentry, from the beginning and throughout, has thoroughly explained each step of the processes we are doing, why we are doing each step, and has made sure we understand everything before and during treatment...and she is always checking in during your appointments/procedures to make sure you are comfortable. Don't be afraid to ask questions; better yet - ask ALL the questions! No question is silly or too small - even if they are basic reproductive questions, Dr. Gentry is happy to make sure you are not in the dark for any part of your treatment. We never feel like we are being rushed out of the room or that we don't have time to address all of our needs and questions. Aside from Dr. Gentry's professional knowledge and and skills - she is also a great "people person"... she will always be direct and truthful, as that is always important to your medical care, but she always deliver information/results/etc with compassion and will almost certainly make you laugh in the process. 10/10 would recommend Dr. Gentry - she is an amazing doctor and person.
Come prepared with questions, an open mind, and relax! Dr. Gentry will walk you through everything each step of the way.
Dr. Gentry has always made my wife and I feel completely comfortable, informed, and respected while in her care. Dr. Gentry always takes the time to thoroughly explain what we're doing, why we're doing it, and why we're doing it THIS way. We are encouraged to ask as many questions as we need and she always takes the time to answer them in a way we can easily understand - hand drawn pictures included! :) We never feel rushed or overlooked by Dr. Gentry or her nurses/staff.
For each medicated cycle, once my period started - that counts as Cycle Day 1. On CD1, I call the clinic and schedule an appointment to have my Baseline ultrasound done - this is the ultrasound to take a look at my uterus lining, check to see if there are any problematic cysts, and generally to see if I am ready to begin fertility drugs (in my case, letrozole). If all is well at my baseline then I start Letrozole for 5 days to encourage growth of follicles before ovulating. Around day 14 of my cycle I will go back into the clinic for my Midcycle scan which is the ultrasound to see if I have any follicles, how many, and to measure them. The number of follicles that I have and their size will determine how soon after that I will administer my trigger shot (ovidrel) at home. (If there are too many follicles, typically more than 3 - then the cycle will be cancelled to prevent a possibility of high order pregnancy) After my trigger shot, I will go in to the clinic for my IUI typically between 30-36 hours later. The IUI is performed by Dr. Gentry's fertility nurse (who is wonderful!). After IUI, you enter the "2 week wait" - proceed as if you are pregnant (no drinking, smoking, no tylenol, etc - a do/don't list is given to you). At the end of your 2 week wait, if you have no gotten your period yet, take a pregnancy test - if it is positive, call the clinic to schedule a blood test; if it is negative - you will be directed to call the clinic once your period starts to schedule your next baseline, assuming you are proceeding with treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carilion Clinic. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Byrd)
Dr. Gentry's nursing staff has been equally informative, compassionate, and respectful. I have always felt equally comfortable in their care. Ashely Byrd, who has performed my 3 IUIs has always been wonderful and ensures my comfort and understanding throughout each procedure.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
Carillon Clinic RMF has been everything we could've hoped for in our fertility journey. Celia who checks us in and out, schedules our appointments, etc is so kind and welcoming and always knows me by name when I come in; all of the nursing staff has been wonderful, and the other doctor at the clinic, Dr. Evans-Hoeker has been great during the visits I have seen her when Dr. Gentry has been in surgery. The check in process is always quick and efficient, wait times are typically very short - there is a TV in the waiting area, coffee station, magazines. The clinic itself is always very clean and well-lit - bathroom, exam rooms, waiting area, etc.
Baseline ultrasound - $163, Letrozole - no cost with my insurance; otherwise, I believe it's under $20, "trigger shot" (ovidrel) about $100, Midcycle scan $163, Insemination $260

2017 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Evans-Hoeker] makes me feel like I have value, that I am not broken. I can feel her passion for her job and truest wants us to be successful. She explains everything in a way that’s easy to understand and answers all of my silly little questions...We then completed 3 IUIs. During that time she noticed my husband’s sperm count was not great, and she referred us to a fertility urologist. From there we learned he had a varicocele and he had surgery after that.
The clinic [Carilion Clinic] seems to be on the smaller side. Getting appointments convenient with my work schedule is never a problem. All of the staff know my name as soon as I walk in the door. The nurses remember me from each visit and everyone seems genuine...They [nurses] have the friendliest faces and are always so sweet and cheerful...the nursing staff makes it clear they care for us.
How was your experience with Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
She makes me feel like I have value, that I am not broken. I can feel her passion for her job and truest wants us to be successful. She explains everything in a way that’s easy to understand and answers all of my silly little questions.
Go in with an open mind and don’t be afraid to ask any questions. She is very honest with her answers but only because she wants wants best for her patients.
Dr. Evans-Hoeker is very caring and and genuine. We had an ectopic pregnancy and she made me feel very comfortable and was very honest with us that it was not our fault and she acknowledged we had lost a baby. She had her own struggles to conceive her children and I think that has made her even more understanding of our circumstances.
We used Clomid the very first cycle but I overstimulated so we cancelled. She adjusted my medication and put me on Letrozole. We then completed 3 IUIs. During that time she noticed my husband’s sperm count was not great, and she referred us to a fertility urologist. From there we learned he had a varicocele and he had surgery after that. By a miracle we got pregnant before we were told we would see a difference in my husband’s sperm, but our pregnancy was ectopic. Dr. Evans-Hoeker was very honest and direct with us about our options. She explained we could use methotrexate or go right for surgery, but she recommended the medication first as my turn had not ruptured at that time. Unfortunately though it did rupture a day later. In the emergency room she was talking to the doctors on her personal cell phone which made me feel very safe in their hands, knowing she had talked to them specifically about me. After surgery and I was home recovering, she called me to check on me which made me feel very cared for. At follow up appointments she was very gentle with both me and my husband as we talked about next steps. Several months went by and we were able to start trying again. We were able to conceive again but it was a chemical pregnancy. We have started IUIs again since them and she has been very supportive the entire process.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
They have the friendliest faces and are always so sweet and cheerful. Most people coming in their office are there for difficult reasons but the nursing staff makes it clear they care for us.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
The clinic seems to be on the smaller side. Getting appointments convenient with my work schedule is never a problem. All of the staff know my name as soon as I walk in the door. The nurses remember me from each visit and everyone seems genuine.
Everything has been paid for out of pocket, my insurance does not cover fertility treatments. However, when we had the ectopic pregnancy everything was filed under insurance immediately and there were no problems.
Roanoke

Dr. Gentry was candid in her communication every step of the process, which I deeply appreciate. Though, she still shared a great level of respect and empathy towards me, especially as I was diagnosed with a rare uterine anomaly. This helped me, and my spouse, to navigate each step of our infertility journey.... She has been completely open and straightforward about how she approaches infertility as a whole, I went through three tests, HSG, water ultrasound, and sperm analysis, then she determines what the root cause of the problem.
The clinic [Carilion Clinic] looks a little older in the picture on Google, but the inside looks up to date and nicer looking. The parking lot is a little small, but the location makes up for it. It isn't too busy to get in and out of there. The clinic's waiting room has an array of magazines, TV, and coffee/hot cocoa maker for the patients'. Each visit I have waited about 5- 10 minutes before being seen. ONE visit I had to wait about 20 minutes, but was notified before my appointment that the doctor was running late with a prior patient (due to the patient's surgery running late).
How was your experience with Adrienne Gentry at Carilion Clinic?
Honestly, I cannot think of anything bad about Dr. Gentry. I fully trust her in our infertility journey and this is why. She has been completely open and straightforward about how she approaches infertility as a whole, I went through three tests, HSG, water ultrasound, and sperm analysis, then she determines what the root cause of the problem. I feel like she is on our team to finding out the problem and reaching the goal of having a baby. My husband and I have been trying for 2.5 years and finally searched for a fertility doctor in our area. Now we will be moving forward towards an IVF cycle later this year. Dr. Gentry is willing to know her limits, or rather experience, and ask for help when needed. This is admirable in my opinion! I recently underwent surgery and she had a fellow doctor help out who specialized in the type of surgery I needed for tubal blockage with a rare uterine anomaly, unicornuate uterus. Dr.Gentry is able to relate in most instances, but can still keep boundaries between her patients and isn't overbearing or conceited. Dr. Gentry encourages for questions to be asked at any time, whether in person or online, and she takes personal time to answer them. Like I said, I am extremely satisfied with my care as a patient of going to Dr. Adrienne Gentry. I have no reason to find another fertility doctor and receive a second opinion. If you are in the Roanoke area, I would highly recommend seeing Dr. Gentry!
Don't be afraid to ask questions! Any question is a good question, even if it's re-learning the basic of female anatomy! :)
I find that my story is a little different than most. I haven't been on any fertility drugs on any cycle. I don't know if this is the place to share it all of why that is the case, so I will give a brief overview. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 2 years with no luck. With this fertility doctor, I met with her and went through two tests, Hysterosalpingography (HSG) and Sonohysterography (Water Ultrasound) and my husband went through a Sperm Analysis. These three tests results should identify if there is a problem and what the cause of it is. Sperm results came back and they were great. In the middle of the Water Ultrasound, Dr. Gentry shared a concern with me. Though, wanted to get the HSG before confirming anything. I had the HSG and boy was it PAINFUL. I opted not to take a pain reliever beforehand, but took one afterwards. Again, Dr. Gentry shared her thoughts of what I might have, a unicornuate uterus, but wanted to do an MRI before confirming the diagnosis. I had the MRI and received the results back in a timely manner. The diagnosis was confirmed and was told I had a blocked tube as well. I was given three options and the risks of all of them. I decided to go through with a tubal removal procedure and IVF. I just had surgery and have recovered mostly. I will do an IVF cycle with Dr. Gentry in a few months.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
The nurses were wonderful! They followed protocol and policies of the clinic, even though it was annoying to get asked whether or not I was taking the same medications each visit. The nurses were compassionate and caring. They also explained what would happen on each visit and made sure I felt comfortable.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
The clinic looks a little older in the picture on Google, but the inside looks up to date and nicer looking. The parking lot is a little small, but the location makes up for it. It isn't too busy to get in and out of there. The clinic's waiting room has an array of magazines, TV, and coffee/hot cocoa maker for the patients'. Each visit I have waited about 5- 10 minutes before being seen. ONE visit I had to wait about 20 minutes, but was notified before my appointment that the doctor was running late with a prior patient (due to the patient's surgery running late). The front desk/receptionist is very kind and has good communication skills! One of the great things about this clinic is they have you set up an online account in their system that lets you know of the upcoming appointments, any test results, billing information, and online communication between you and the doctor, nurse, or receptionist. That is my favorite part of the clinic. I just don't have to wonder about those things or wait for them to go through the mailing system. I love the swift response of the online message center as well! Overall, it is a great clinic to go to!
My insurance covered the basic infertility diagnosis and tests of underlying medical treatment. (Them 80% and me 20%). I am grateful for that. I don't remember the details of the costs with that. Moving forward with IVF in the state of Virginia will be a headache. It is currently not covered through insurance, to my knowledge. It would be nice if there was something, anything, covered for the IVF process.
Describe Adrienne Gentry's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carilion Clinic.
With my current diagnosis of having a unicornuate uterus, I will be considered high risk pregnancy as is and so my doctor's approach will be doing a single embryo transfer. I will not be able to have a multiple embryo transfer due to my uterus not being full sized.
Roanoke
Dr. Gentry was nothing but kind, warm and so helpful during my wife and I’s IUI treatment. She was professional and also made us feel like family...From our first consultation to our last ultrasound with her, she was communicative, helpful, professional and incredibly kind. She explained everything that was going to happen and made sure we understood the process. The fact that my wife and I were a same-sex couple made no difference in her treatment of us as patients and human beings. She was genuinely excited for us and we’ve told so many of our LGBTQ+ friends to visit her when they are ready. We couldn’t recommend Dr. Gentry more to anyone who needs a fertility doctor.
[The nurses at Carilion Clinic are] Courteous and kind and knowledgeable...This clinic has 2 wonderful doctors and a great nursing staff. They are efficient, knowledgeable, and very helpful. They are professional and clean. The only weakness I can think of is that the parking lot is small and tricky to navigate if full...We started with a consultation and then after we purchased our donor sperm and had our initial FDA blood work done, we started ultrasounds to track my cycle. If I remember correctly, we had 3 ultrasounds before our IUI procedure. After our IUI and then getting pregnant, we had one follow-up ultrasound before we graduated to our OB.
How was your experience with Adrienne Gentry at Carilion Clinic?
Dr. Gentry was the best doctor we could have ever hoped for when my wife and I decided it was time to expand our family. From our first consultation to our last ultrasound with her, she was communicative, helpful, professional and incredibly kind. She explained everything that was going to happen and made sure we understood the process. The fact that my wife and I were a same-sex couple made no difference in her treatment of us as patients and human beings. She was genuinely excited for us and we’ve told so many of our LGBTQ+ friends to visit her when they are ready. We couldn’t recommend Dr. Gentry more to anyone who needs a fertility doctor.
Ask questions! She is extremely knowledgeable and can answer the questions you have!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
Courteous and kind and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
It was a little over $1000 for services.
Roanoke
she [Dr. Evans-Hoeker] gives you the information she can without creating false expectations or false hope. Not everything about fertility is known. She provides the information that she can...gives you the options and the facts and allows you to make your own decision...I went through two IUI treatments and one round of IVF. The IUI treatments were unsuccessful. We were told due to low sperm count at the time of IUI that we had a very small chance of success. At that point we decided to pursue IVF. I had 31 eggs retrieved, 15 fertilized and we had 9 high quality embryos after day 5. I froze all of my embryos after my retrieval which was my choice. I did a frozen embryo transfer and I am currently 8 weeks pregnant with my first child.
It's amazing that Roanoke has a facility like this. [Carilion Clinic has] Solid providers, support staff, and the facility is clean and conveniently located. Labs were done at the hospital but it was not inconvenient. The only downside is having to travel to UNC for retrieval and transfer, but they made the transitions seamless...All of the staff and doctors genuinely care about your well-being and outcomes. Over the course of nearly 2 years of treatment I feel that I've established a relationship with the entire staff. An example to illustrate this level of care was there was actually a hurricane leading up to my egg retrieval that disrupted transport and delivery of my medications. The office went above and beyond to locate the medications I needed and even met me at the pharmacy to ensure I received the meds in a timely manner. Moreover, Dr. Evans Hoeker and Dr. Gaines drove through the bad weather to UNC to ensure things went off without a hitch. That's commitment! I've read that people felt like cattle because of scheduling but I didn't feel that way. Yes, I saw some familiar faces at the lab and in the office, but to me that was reassuring that people were going through the same cycle and experience as I was and I understand that timing is critical. Having this resource in a small town like Roanoke is a gift, and I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity to work with such outstanding healthcare providers.
How was your experience with Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
Dr. Evans-Hoeker knows her stuff which is what is most important to me as a patient. She is careful to provide accurate information and doesn't over promise; she manages expectations appropriately. I think other patients may perceive this as a lack of warmth, but I felt it was appropriate.
Don't misconstrue her factual nature as a lack of caring. She cares. The other comments about her not giving a direct answer -- she gives you the information she can without creating false expectations or false hope. Not everything about fertility is known. She provides the information that she can. I also think some patients want to be told what to do. Dr. EH gives you the options and the facts and allows you to make your own decision. I think that frustrates people.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carilion Clinic. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
Most of my correspondence was via MyChart. I received timely responses for all of my questions and she always consulted with the doctors if needed.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
It's amazing that Roanoke has a facility like this. Solid providers, support staff, and the facility is clean and conveniently located. Labs were done at the hospital but it was not inconvenient. The only downside is having to travel to UNC for retrieval and transfer, but they made the transitions seamless.
My insurance didn't cover most of my visits. All-in-all I didn't think the prices for any of the services were unrealistic. You have to have multiple visits to track progress so that's where it adds up.
My husband and I jokingly asked if they would put more than one embryo in so we could have two at once. Dr. EH followed the guidelines prescribed based on my age and risk factors and only transferred one embryo. She advised us that a 1:1 ratio is the healthiest.
Roanoke

When asking questions, at times, Emily [Evans-Hoeker] would not give a concrete answer. It seemed she would recommend one option, and then turn around and recommend a different option as best. This left the patient confused and feeling as though an expert, professional opinion was not given on which way to continue treatment. Often, it felt as though she were just reciting book facts or giving generalized statements, and not focusing and relating information on you as the individualized patient.
This clinic [Carilion Clinic] needs more than one RE on staff, maybe even one that worked and was available for procedures on weekends. Overall, wait times were not horrible; however, there were sometimes when the wait time was 30 minutes or more. The office atmosphere did seem clean, but could have been more personalized and not so impersonal feeling... I feel the professional handling my care was critical information and if changed, I should have been notified.
How was your experience with Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
When asking questions, at times, Emily would not give a concrete answer. It seemed she would recommend one option, and then turn around and recommend a different option as best. This left the patient confused and feeling as though an expert, professional opinion was not given on which way to continue treatment. Often, it felt as though she were just reciting book facts or giving generalized statements, and not focusing and relating information on you as the individualized patient. Lastly, it seemed that she had too many commitments and was pulled in too many different directions. I did have an appointment have to be rescheduled by the office due to it conflicting with a lecture commitment she had. Last treatment cycle, I also called on the day of my cycle to continue with another round of an IUI with injectables. The scheduler tried to schedule me too late in my cycle than what is recommended for injectables. I questioned this, and the scheduler put me on hold to verify. I was correct, and the scheduler confirmed this, but informed me that I would not be able to continue with this, as Emily was going to be out on vacation and the provider filling in was not qualified to perform monitoring and IUI with injectables. I was told I would have to sit this month out due to this and wait and continue next month. I was devastated and felt this was not acceptable treatment and was very insensitive to those battling infertility, as timing each month is crucial and patients count down to this obsessively. I finished the phone call, barely holding back the tears. I was later called and told Emily had been contacted and said I could go back to oral medication this cycle and continue injectables next time. However, this was not my treatment plan or optimal for me, as this treatment option had been unsuccessful many times and oral medications caused cysts for me. She recommended moving on from this, as it was not best for me, but when was not available wanted to revert back to something that was not working for me.
Ask many questions and continue asking until you get a definite answer/one you are comfortable with, and be sure you are alright with seeing an RE at a clinic with only one RE. So, when she is out of the office different providers may have to see you, often times one who is just an OBGYN and not an RE.
Front staff (especially Celia) were friendly, respectful, and encouraging. However, it always seemed there were too many patients in and out like an assembly line for one RE. Sometimes, it seemed the RE had to be reminded of your individual treatments, as though your care wasn't reviewed before appointments, or the RE was treating too many to keep track of each couple's care.
I tried Clomiphene Citrate with plans of following with an IUI. However, at my midcycle scan, she stated that I ovulated early and it was too late for an IUI to be completed. After that, I moved on from Clomid to Letrozole with plans for IUI. Many cycles I tried 2 Letrozole pills (2.5 mg each) with IUI. No positive pregnancy test resulted. I then tried Tamoxifen, which did not result in a positive result either. I then tried Letrozole (2.5 mg) 3 pills a day. No positive result achieved either. Many times the oral medication caused cysts to form; many treatment cycles had to be cancelled and no fertility medications taken due to cyst formation. I also had to take birth control many months to try to get rid of the cysts. I tried one cycle with Gonal-F and IUI. This also resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
The nursing staff were friendly and warm. I personally got the feeling they were rooting for a positive outcome for you, more than I felt it from the RE.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
This clinic needs more than one RE on staff, maybe even one that worked and was available for procedures on weekends. Overall, wait times were not horrible; however, there were sometimes when the wait time was 30 minutes or more. The office atmosphere did seem clean, but could have been more personalized and not so impersonal feeling.
My insurance did not cover fertility related costs. Each scan was $163. Each IUI was $260. My last round of injectable medications cost almost $800.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carilion Clinic.
When first scheduled with this clinic and for my first IUI, I saw Leslie Peterson NP. However, I scheduled my appointment next cycle and showed up for this appointment and was told she no longer worked there, and that Emily Evans-Hoeker RE would now be handling my care. I feel the professional handling my care was critical information and if changed, I should have been notified. Emily informed me that letters should have been sent out but had not yet. I did end up receiving one many weeks later. Also, I was blindsided by calling to continue with Gonal-F and IUI only to be told I could not do so that month due to Emily being out of the office, and the provider filling in was not qualified to do this. To me, the clinic and RE owe it to patients to make sure this does not happen and a qualified professional is at the clinic to provide each patient with appropriate and designated care at all times. Those dealing with infertility know how devastating the waiting and hoping are each month.
Roanoke

Dr. Emily A. Evans-Hoeker was good at explaining the general processes of each procedure and the risks. However, I would have been more comfortable if she tailored the information and advice to my specific situation and details... Dr. Evans-Hoeker seems very educated in her field... She seemed hesitant to guide my husband and I on next steps for treatment. This entire process is very overwhelming, and I feel like her professional input based on experience could be beneficial
The receptionists [Carilion Clinic], Celia particularly, and all of the nurses were kind and very welcoming to my husband and I....The clinic has an exceptional receptionist who greets you warmly in person and on the phone. Both the doctor and nurses respond to inquiries through My Chart. I strongly believe that the clinic would be more efficient with a second doctor on staff to meet the needs of all patients adequately.
How was your experience with Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
Dr. Emily A. Evans-Hoeker was good at explaining the general processes of each procedure and the risks. However, I would have been more comfortable if she tailored the information and advice to my specific situation and details. I felt like my inquiries were often answered with vague generalizations rather than related to my own individual issues. Often, I felt like she was not entirely open to questions from me. She seemed hesitant to guide my husband and I on next steps for treatment. This entire process is very overwhelming, and I feel like her professional input based on experience could be beneficial. Her method is practical and generally matter of fact. For baseline and mid cycle scans, I would have felt more informed if she had turned the monitor and pointed out my uterus lining, follicles, etc. to my husband and I. Dr. Evans-Hoeker performed a laparoscopy on me to remedy a blocked fallopian tube, uterine fibroids, and uterine polyps. The surgery was successful, and I healed very quickly. Either my twin sister or husband came to every appointment for support and Dr. Evans-Hoeker always acknowledged them. Dr. Evans-Hoeker seems very educated in her field.
I would advise prospective patients of Dr. Emily Evans-Hoeker to always listen to your gut instincts, ask as many questions as you need to, and determine at the consultation if her manner is what you prefer.
The receptionists, Celia particularly, and all of the nurses were kind and very welcoming to my husband and I.
For my first cycle of expected IUI, I was prescribed Clomid 50 mg and Ovidrel trigger shot. However, follicles developed on the side of a blocked fallopian tube, so we proceeded this cycle with only timed intercourse. Following, I underwent a laparoscopy to correct the blocked fallopian tube and remove uterine fibroids and polyps. I tried the next cycle of IUI after surgery with Letrozole 2.5 mg (2 pills at a time) paired with Ovidrel trigger shot, followed by the insemination. For the second cycle of IUI, Dr. Evans-Hoeker increased the Letrozole 2.5 mg to 3 pills at a time followed by Ovidrel trigger shot and insemination. My last cycle of IUI consisted of Letrozole 2.5 mg/4 pills at a time this round followed by Ovidrel trigger shot and insemination. Also, on my last two cycles of IUI Dr. Evans-Hoeker added Progesterone 200 mg capsule vaginally. Sadly, all cycles ended with a negative pregnancy test precisely two weeks after the insemination.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
The nursing staff is friendly and made the experience more comfortable.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
The clinic has an exceptional receptionist who greets you warmly in person and on the phone. Both the doctor and nurses respond to inquiries through My Chart. I strongly believe that the clinic would be more efficient with a second doctor on staff to meet the needs of all patients adequately. Also, as a hopeful patient, I would love to see pictures of success stories in the clinic.
Each baseline scan and mid cycle scan cost $163. Each IUI cost $260. Ovidrel trigger shot cost approximately $150. Medication (Clomid, Letrozole, and Progesterone) ranged from $5 to around $15 each. Also, I had a CAT Scan for diagnosis purposes that cost $500 out of pocket and a hysterosalpingogram. Laparoscopic surgery to unblock fallopian tube and remove uterine fibroids and polyps cost $2500 out of pocket.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carilion Clinic.
Initially, my husband had to report to a separate location/lab to provide a sperm sample for analysis. However, my clinic had not sent over the order for the test and he could not leave his sample until the order was received. I had to call my clinic and ask for the order to be sent. After my phone call and some embarrassment on my husband's part, the matter was quickly resolved.
Roanoke

Dr. Evans-Hoeker diagnosed us with "unexplained infertility" after checking my blood work and my husband's sperm... We were told it would only take 2-3 IUI's to be successful. When they didn't work, we were told there was no reason why it shouldn't work, and to try again. It made us feel like failures, like there wasn't an explanation, and that continuing to put money into additional IUI's would result in a baby eventually.
There were select hours and days you could go for ultrasound appointments and you felt like a sheep waiting in line with everyone else. There was little compassion or empathy, and very little explanation for treatment courses other than what you would pay the clinic [Carilion Clinic - Roanoke].... We spent about $1000 for each cycle of IUI to the clinic, not including medications (which were around $150 each cycle).
How was your experience with Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
Dr. Evans-Hoeker diagnosed us with "unexplained infertility" after checking my blood work and my husband's sperm, and did not recommend any other tests before pushing us through 7 IUI's (3 with only medication). Once we moved to a new clinic we found out that I had a low AMH, which was from the blood test Dr. Evans-Hoeker performed) which should have given me a diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve. After additional tests I was also found to have a blocked tube from endometriosis, and IUI's never should have been recommended as a course of treatment, and 7 of them was an absurd amount to do without changing course of treatment or performing additional tests to find out what was wrong. We were continually told, "we don't know why this isn't working" or, "there's no reason why this won't work if we keep on trying...the odds are in your favor!" We were mislead, had our money taken, and treated like just another patient giving them money for treatment.
Find another doctor. We didn't realize how bad the doctor and clinic were until we found a new clinic. Once we saw how great we could be treated at a fertility clinic we couldn't believe we stayed at Dr. Evans-Hoeker's practice for so long.
Dr. Evans-Hoeker does not have a good bed-side manner. There were select hours and days you could go for ultrasound appointments and you felt like a sheep waiting in line with everyone else. There was little compassion or empathy, and very little explanation for treatment courses other than what you would pay the clinic.
After bloodwork and a semen analysis we were given a diagnosis of "unexplained infertility" and told that we should proceed with IUI treatments. We were told it would only take 2-3 IUI's to be successful. When they didn't work, we were told there was no reason why it shouldn't work, and to try again. It made us feel like failures, like there wasn't an explanation, and that continuing to put money into additional IUI's would result in a baby eventually. We were misdiagnosed, neglected, and out thousands of dollars by the time we left Dr. Evans-Hoeker's care.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
We did not really see many nurses. We either saw Dr. Evans-Hoeker or another doctor who would occasionally perform our ultrasounds, but not nurses. We were sent to a local hospital for blood work, so the nurses did not help out with our testing either.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
Trust your gut. We felt like we weren't getting the best care, but there weren't any other fertility facilities in the area, and it would be expensive to travel somewhere else and start over. However we wasted more time and money staying at a place where we thought we were being looked after and receiving the best treatment available. We should have gone with our initial gut reaction and switched to a new clinic, particularly after viewing this clinic's IVF schedule. You have to sync your cycle to other women's cycles, which only happens 3-4 times per year, and be seen on the same days. Other clinics work with your body individually, and see you on days you need to be seen. Not shuffling you through the process like cattle.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carilion Clinic.
We were misdiagnosed and mislead for months, while hemorrhaging money to this clinic. We also applied for a third party grant to help cover fertility payments, and were told by the grant that we were chosen as a winner, but because this clinic never returned any of their phone calls, we could not be awarded the grant.

2012 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Since we were doing IUI's, i felt like she [Dr. Evans-Hoeker] was not as interested in helping us unless we chose to do IVF (which we did not). She spent little time with me and was typically either talking about my weight, or something similar. My last appointment with her included some students shadowing in which she harshly discussed my weight and I came to the conclusion that she saw me as less of a person because I was bigger and it felt like I did not deserve children unless I lost weight...
nursing staff [at Carilion Clinic] we all approachable and responsive...Our specific issues related to billing and follow up communications from the physician and nurses. I would often have to initiate contact to get information or rely on the information provided in MyChart...Things that had been covered before were no longer being covered. We were paying double the amount out of pocket vs. when we were with the previous dr/clinic at Carilion...
How was your experience with Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
I think Dr. Evans-Hoeker was a fresh face when we were using her. She had big plans for IVF collaboration with UNC, which is amazing for those who are going that route. Since we were doing IUI's, i felt like she was not as interested in helping us unless we chose to do IVF (which we did not). She spent little time with me and was typically either talking about my weight, or something similar. My last appointment with her included some students shadowing in which she harshly discussed my weight and I came to the conclusion that she saw me as less of a person because I was bigger and it felt like I did not deserve children unless I lost weight.
I'd tell them to stick to their plan and follow the path they choose. Do not go blindly in and let her talk you into IVF from the start. If you feel like you're being pushed get a second opinion.
The appointments were short and to the point. I don't feel like she was interested in spending time with me, she was getting through the appointment so she could move on to the next.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
The nursing staff we all approachable and responsive. I felt like they saw me as a human and a patient.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
I started out with this clinic when they were newer. They had just moved into their building and were still adjusting staff and physicians. I think the clinic is warm and welcoming. Our issues with the clinic revolved around insurance and billing. Things that had been covered before were no longer being covered. We were paying double the amount out of pocket vs. when we were with the previous dr/clinic at Carilion.
I don't remember exact costs, but i do remember that they were double the price before the clinic moved from the previous location. Things that were covered were now not covered and payment was demanded at the time of service (which i understand is typical, just confusing as to why all the insurance changes when they were working the previous bill).
Roanoke

Dr. Evans-Hoeker is extremely knowledgable and explained both the issues we were facing and the treatment options thoroughly. She answered all questions, communicated well through the patient portal, and made sure we had all the information we needed to proceed...We were facing unexplained male factor infertility. My husband had been tossed from doctor to doctor when we finally made the decision to visit Dr. Evans-Hoeker. She continued my husband on Clomid while beginning an IUI cycle. She had me in for saline ultrasounds and an HSG and I passed on all needed bloodwork. I went on Clomid for the IUI cycle along with a trigger shot. We did double inseminations. It worked!
Wonderful nursing staff [at Carilion Clinic]! The nurse who oversaw my IUI was especially kind...The nurse who oversaw my IUI was especially kind...Costs were very reasonable. My insurance did not cover the costs, but they do bill for insurance if yours covers. Hospital procedures, not in the clinic, were covered and I only paid copay on those...Very accessible. Worked well with my schedule and offered as much flexibility as can be in this process. They communicate well and have an easy to find location. Celia greets everyone with a smile, which makes such a difference.
How was your experience with Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
Come prepared with questions. It's easy to go blank when you are sitting there!
Dr. Emily Evans-Hoeker sat with us for literally an entire hour during our first appointment. She shared her own fertility struggle and explained processes and options thoroughly.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
Wonderful nursing staff! The nurse who oversaw my IUI was especially kind.
Roanoke

Dr. Gentry has always been warm with me when talking to her. She explained everything in a way that myself and my significant other could understand... Responds quick to messages when sent through MyChart or telephone messages. She stays on top of treatment. She keeps me in the know when test results come back or when we need to take a different course of action and she explains everything for us where we can understand. And I fully feel like I know what is going on when I leave the visit!
The nurses [at Carilion Clinic] are excellent. So nice and caring. Most of them have lived the infertility life and that's what brought them to the clinic...I think the clinic was great overall. Very welcoming and friendly. Very easy to find. Front desk was very friendly upon coming to the office. I feel welcome at the office when I am seen. Easy to make an appointment with the front desk. Copay is due at the time of visit. The copay can not be billed.
How was your experience with Adrienne Gentry at Carilion Clinic?
Dr. Gentry is friendly. Responds quick to messages when sent through MyChart or telephone messages. She stays on top of treatment. She keeps me in the know when test results come back or when we need to take a different course of action and she explains everything for us where we can understand. And I fully feel like I know what is going on when I leave the visit!
Don't delay. Go see Dr. Gentry today. She is jumps right in and helps you make a plan for next steos in treatment
Dr. Gentry has always been warm with me when talking to her. She explained everything in a way that myself and my significant other could understand. I really appreciate Dr. Gentry.
I have not started timed intercourse I will be starting at the beginning of May. This will be my first round of treatment overall. Newly diagnosed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
The nurses are excellent. So nice and caring. Most of them have lived the infertility life and that's what brought them to the clinic.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
I have a copay. That has to be paid at the time of visit. I can not bill it. First visit is around $500. Ultrasounds vary. Meds vary. HSG unsure of cost. MRI was right at $5,000. I do have insurance through my job so that has helped
Roanoke

[Dr. Adrienne Gentry] was willing to work us into her schedule on short notice, which was helpful. She was thorough in the explanation of her recommendations. After we left the office we had some follow up questions and she was quick to respond even though it was a Friday afternoon...My partner and I were seen for a fertility consult. We expected to be cleared, as there were no known fertility issues other than us being a same-sex couple who would need assistance with creating a family. After some tests and chart review we found out that we could potentially be facing some fertility issues after all. Adrienne recommended an HSG, an ultrasound and some blood work before she would move forward with IUI.
~400 for initial consultation including ultrasound ~700 per IUI cycle including two ultrasounds, trigger shot and IUI [at Carilion Clinic]...Patient flow was good. We hardly had to wait once we arrived, even though we were a bit early. Staff explained what we would be doing every step of the way and were happy to answer questions that we had. They were responsive to our questions outside of the office as well, including helping to get lab work coordinated.
How was your experience with Adrienne Gentry at Carilion Clinic?
Adrienne was willing to work us into her schedule on short notice, which was helpful. She was thorough in the explanation of her recommendations. After we left the office we had some follow up questions and she was quick to respond even though it was a Friday afternoon.
Go for it! Don’t be afraid to ask her questions.
Adrienne was patient and kind with the many questions that my partner and I had. We were hit with some unexpected news during our visit and she was compassionate and understanding.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
Nursing staff went out of their way to help us, even at the end of the day on a Friday.
Roanoke

She [Dr. Evans-Hoeker] was thorough and professional but I didn’t feel assured or comforted when going through the whole process. I felt I was overlooked a little bit because she kept mentioning how young I am which made me feel like she wasn’t as invested as she would’ve been with her older patients...3 separate IUI’s, 50 milligrams of Clomid and trigger shot with each attempt...She wasn’t cold but wasn’t warm and sympathetic either. She didn’t seem entirelt invested like I was.
My nurse who performed the actual IUI procedures for me [at Carilion Clinic] was very comforting, kind, and listened to all my questions and concerns...$165 for baseline and midline scan, $260 for IUI, about $90 for clomid and trigger shot, and about $820 for donor sperm...I initially had to wait 3 months before I could be seen for a consultation. All of the initial testing had to be handled at 2 other facilities which was annoying to coordinate.
How was your experience with Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
She was thorough and professional but I didn’t feel assured or comforted when going through the whole process. I felt I was overlooked a little bit because she kept mentioning how young I am which made me feel like she wasn’t as invested as she would’ve been with her older patients.
She is very knowledgeable but prepare yourself for the unexpected during the process.
3 separate IUI’s, 50 milligrams of Clomid and trigger shot with each attempt
My nurse who performed the actual IUI procedures for me was very comforting, kind, and listened to all my questions and concerns
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
Due Dr. Evans-Hoeker being the only doctor at the time of my treatments I initially had to wait 3 months before I could be seen for a consultation. All of the initial testing had to be handled at 2 other facilities which was annoying to coordinate.
$165 for baseline and midline scan, $260 for IUI, about $90 for clomid and trigger shot, and about $820 for donor sperm. Insurance did not cover any of this.
Roanoke

My doctors strength is that she [Dr. Evans-Hoeker] is very open and truthful she tells you as it is and very compassionate. For weaknesses, I don’t really have any weakness I can point out because my experience has been awesome...Be prepared to hear the truth because she will not lie to you...[protocol] Lab works, blood works, birth control to calm my hormones, progesterone as well...only one can be transferred at a time. Multiple transfers is only when they have been 4 failed ET
The entire team at Carilion are very friendly and accommodating...They [nurses] are all good not had a bad experience ever...My transfer was done at UNC Fertility under Dr Evans-Hoeker and I paid 3283 for each embryo transfer and currently paying 45 dollars monthly for embryo preservation. 163 dollars each time I visit my doctor at Carilion clinic...They treat each patient with care and it’s an individualized approach. Just call in advance if you going to be late because I do out of respect. Arrive on time and all the doctors can see you with the same approach. Personally I wish this can be my primary care hospital but I can’t because I am a veteran and already have a primary care at the VA hospital
How was your experience with Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
My doctors strength is that she is very open and truthful she tells you as it is and very compassionate. For weaknesses, I don’t really have any weakness I can point out because my experience has been awesome. The entire team at Carilion are very friendly and accommodating
Be prepared to hear the truth because she will not lie to you
My doctor is the best ever so friendly, patient and listens to all my concerns
Lab works, blood works, birth control to calm my hormones, progesterone as well
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
They are all good not had a bad experience ever
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
Yes that only one can be transferred at a time. Multiple transfers is only when they have been 4 failed ET

2020, Unknown Success
The doctor [Dr. Gentry] seems very knowledgeable and attentive. She sometimes speaks to fast which made me feel like I was taking too much of her time and she was trying to finish the appointment quicker. She was careful and compassionate during procedures. ... The doctor was attentive and clear most of the time. She sometimes failed to give enough details about a condition.
The clinic is well equipped and clean. The rooms are comfortable and inviting. The building is easily accessible and situated in a nice part of the city. The parking lot has a lot of room. There is no MRI or tube test equipment in the building. ... They [nurses] were well organized. They were attentive and professional. They seems to know what they were doing.
How was your experience with Adrienne Gentry at Carilion Clinic?
The doctor seems very knowledgeable and attentive. She sometimes speaks to fast which made me feel like I was taking too much of her time and she was trying to finish the appointment quicker. She was careful and compassionate during procedures.
Ask the doctor to slow down when she talks to you
Water ultrasound, MRI, Tube test. Some tests seemed redundant at first but proven to be necessary. They helped to determine the course of action.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
They were well organized. They were attentive and professional. They seems to know what they were doing.
Consultation $130 Ultrasound $170

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Evans-Hoeker made me feel like a human simply by being 100% honest and open with my husband and I. She didn’t hold back and kept me informed as possible. She was nice and sensitive to my husband and my feelings...So far we’ve only done diagnostic work ups for my husband and I, which have resulted in needed IVF. She has given me tons of information and answered my millions of questions.
The [Carilion Clinic] is amazing. Very welcoming every time I visit. It is a hard appointment to attend, but this clinic always make it so relaxing. The clinic has a very clean and warm look about it. They are very quick to call or email back...They [nurses] have sent me encouraging messages, talked with me at each appointment, and always have smiling face...
How was your experience with Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
Dr. Evans-Hoeker is an amazing doctor. She understands that fertility is a hard thing to deal with but remains honest with you. She never let me feel alone but allowed me to have feelings. Dr. Evans-Hoeker explained everything treatment and diagnostic work up fully and made sure my husband and I understood everything.
To ask questions because she gives amazing answers.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carilion Clinic.
They are amazing. They have sent me encouraging messages, talked with me at each appointment, and always have smiling face.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
The clinic is amazing. Very welcoming every time I visit. It is a hard appointment to attend, but this clinic always make it so relaxing. The clinic has a very clean and warm look about it. They are very quick to call or email back!
My insurance does not cover fertility treatment, only some diagnostic work up. I have to pay $50 each visit and the two treatments I’ve had so far we’re together over $500. I’m probably (90%) going to have to do IVF, which will cost over $25,000.
Roanoke
She [Dr. Evans-Hoeker] was amazing throughout the surgery that I had to remove my fibroids and helped me track my early pregnancy to make sure I was where I needed to be before I was turned back over to my OBGyn. I have been absolutely thrilled with everything she has done to help me.... This clinic [Carilion Clinic] was very welcoming and willing to help me through my infertility which was one of the hardest things I have dealt with emotionally and physically.
This clinic [Carilion Clinic] was very welcoming and willing to help me through my infertility which was one of the hardest things I have dealt with emotionally and physically. This allowed me to have the chance to have a family. They are compassionate and were excited at my positive results.... She [Dr. Evans- Hoeker] was amazing throughout the surgery that I had to remove my fibroids and helped me track my early pregnancy
How was your experience with Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
She was amazing throughout the surgery that I had to remove my fibroids and helped me track my early pregnancy to make sure I was where I needed to be before I was turned back over to my OBGyn. I have been absolutely thrilled with everything she has done to help me.
Describe your experience with Carilion Clinic.
This clinic was very welcoming and willing to help me through my infertility which was one of the hardest things I have dealt with emotionally and physically. This allowed me to have the chance to have a family. They are compassionate and were excited at my positive results.
Roanoke
All [the nurses at Carilion Clinic are] very upbeat and positive. Welcoming...Professional. Prompt. Organized. Wonderful success with Evans-Hoeker. 4 years of zero progression with Dr. Slackman. Clinic has improved tremendously. Give them another try with the new chief since Slackmans retirement...[Dr. Evans-Hoeker] references studies and research frequently but I found that very beneficial and helpful...Easy to talk with, always a smile on her face. Relatable. Open with her own infertility struggles. Realistic. Very well versed and knowledgeable. Thorough in all explanations. Clearly passionate about her field and science...Spoke to me as a woman, a mother...Wonderful success with Evans-Hoeker...
How was your experience with Emily Evans-Hoeker at Carilion Clinic?
She’s a doctor, references studies and research frequently but I found that very beneficial and helpful.
Bedside manner and conversation. Spoke to me as a woman, a mother.
All very upbeat and positive. Welcoming.