Genetic counseling: Offered
Raleigh, NC 27607
Wilmington
6781 Parker Farm Dr
Wilmington, NC 28405
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Carolina Conceptions to a friend?

1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained, Other
She [Dr. Bowling] is so friendly and compassionate. During my last loss, she grieved with me. I can’t describe what a comfort she has been through a really hard process. She is always accessible by email, and I never feel rushed when I ask questions. She explains the risks and options really well, and that makes me feel like I’m a part of the decision making which is empowering...She’s really up to date on the research, so she’ll be able to explain the pros and cons of all possible treatment options.
Terry [nurse at Carolina Conceptions] is super experienced and confident. She is a pro, and she is a really good teacher. She is also very accessible by email which I appreciated. She helped coordinate everything with insurance for my meds which was a huge headache. I love her!...The things I’ve had go wrong were more or less minor and related to the volume of patients at the practice...Strengths: size, volume of patients it can handle, equipment, scheduling is easy, nurse instructors are great, providers are available by email. Weaknesses: no online portal, decor, lots of pictures of babies on the walls which makes me sad, hard to get someone on the phone, due to volume of patients, there are waiting periods for classes.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
She is so friendly and compassionate. During my last loss, she grieved with me. I can’t describe what a comfort she has been through a really hard process. She is always accessible by email, and I never feel rushed when I ask questions. She explains the risks and options really well, and that makes me feel like I’m a part of the decision making which is empowering.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions and advocate for yourself—even if it’s stuff you’ve read online that you have questions about. She’s really up to date on the research, so she’ll be able to explain the pros and cons of all possible treatment options.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Bowling always took lots of time to explain everything, hear me out, make me feel comfortable and answer ALL my questions (and I had tons). She’s also super responsive by email which is really nice.
Describe the protocols Meaghan Bowling used in your cycles at Carolina Conceptions and their degree of success.
For IVF, I did lupron flare for 2 days then started Gonal in the morning and menopure (4 vials of it) at night. I have borderline diminished ovarian reserve, so that was the rationale for an aggressive protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Terry)
Terry is super experienced and confident. She is a pro, and she is a really good teacher. She is also very accessible by email which I appreciated. She helped coordinate everything with insurance for my meds which was a huge headache. I love her!
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions.
Most of it was covered by insurance except for genetic testing of the embryos and the drugs—one round of IVF exhausted my fertility drug coverage which was $10,000.
Raleigh

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions.

We did a full round of IVF with Dr. Couchman. We had 5 embryos develop after the retrieval. We had them PGS tested due to a prior chromosome abnormality miscarriage. We had only 1 genetically normal embryo. Dr. Couchman suggested we do the ERA test to make sure of the optimal time for transfer...I felt that during our sit down appointments and phone calls with her that we were rushed and all of our questions were not answered. When we first started at that clinic I felt like a human and towards the end I felt more like we were just a number in their daily baby making protocol. I felt like they just cared more about our money than us sometimes.
Our single IVF cycle [at Carolina Conceptions] was just under $15,000 and that does not include the meds, PGS testing, and other out patient procedures...We were told if we had our embryos genetically tested, that we were only able to transfer one at a time...front desk staff was very helpful and knew what they were doing...no emergency contact number to call after hours, hard to reach the clinic during afternoon business hours, ensuring that the information that is shared with us is accurate.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman was very nice and easy to talk to. As I mentioned before, she didn’t always answer all of our questions and I was sometimes confused about what was happening next. She was also very difficult to get on the phone or via email on the weekends. A couple of times we reached out with an issue that needed immediate assistance and we were always contacted back by another doctor at the practice.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
To make sure you push to get all of your questions answered in the detail you need as a patient. Do not let her make you feel rushed or that your list of questions isn’t important.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Describe the protocols Grace Couchman used in your cycles at Carolina Conceptions and their degree of success.
We did a full round of IVF with Dr. Couchman. We had 5 embryos develop after the retrieval. We had them PGS tested due to a prior chromosome abnormality miscarriage. We had only 1 genetically normal embryo. Dr. Couchman suggested we do the ERA test to make sure of the optimal time for transfer. During the ERA test, I also had a hysteroscopy due to titled cervix. These are all the procedures they were done during our IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
All of the nursing staff were wonderful! They always answered my questions and treated me with care and compassion. They always explained what was about to happen next and prepared me. When they had to call with results, they were very thorough and made sure I understood what to do next. I really liked them all so much and couldn’t say anything better about them.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Strengths: front desk staff was very helpful and knew what they were doing, nurse staff was very nice and helpful, the lab workers who draw blood are amazing (and I was terrified about getting blood drawn), the financial coordinator was very helpful and responsive at all times, the clinic itself was clean and welcoming, all the embryologists at the clinic were very knowledgeable, responsive and explained results in a way we understood, there was always a good availability of appointments Weaknesses: no emergency contact number to call after hours, hard to reach the clinic during afternoon business hours, ensuring that the information that is shared with us is accurate. Ex: We were given conflicting information about the embryo biopsy delivery for PGS testing. This caused us concern because for some time we were unsure of where our biopsies were. Eventually, we were given proper information.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions.
Our single IVF cycle was just under $15,000 and that does not include the meds, PGS testing, and other out patient procedures.
Describe Grace Couchman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolina Conceptions.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolina Conceptions.
I explained how we were given conflicting information in a previous question.

2020
With a diagnosis of unexplained infertility [from Dr. Grace Couchman], I found myself wanting more diagnostic tests completed or further work up to determine was was causing our infertility. We completed an HSG and AMH/progesterone/thyroid labs but that was it. The fact that these were not offered was a little frustrating, but I assumed that the point was our treatment plan would not change no matter the diagnosis so it would have been a waste of time/resources. There were a couple of times I was told I would receive a call with lab results and did not. They were normal in the end but I didn't find this out until the next in person appointment. I wasn't too concerned since I had assumed no news was good news, but still if it had been off I would have been frustrated at the lost time. In the end, we ended up pregnant after our first cycle of medicated timed intercourse (even though Dr. Couchman had warned us this was very unlikely to
Honestly I had minimal interaction with the nursing staff during my time [at Carolina Conceptions]. They usually just took my vitals then walked me back to Dr. Couchman...The strengths of this clinic are competent staff/providers, short wait times, flexible appointments, and clear financial expectations. Weaknesses include organization/prompt response to phone messages (not including email to providers). Once I needed an appointment urgently but there was no availability, the front office staff said they would "flag my chart" and call me if something opened up. After a few days I called back to ask about it and they had an opening but said they couldn't call me back because the sticky note fell off of my chart. When you're dealing with tight scheduling related to your me
2020
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
I thought Dr. Couchman was a great provider overall. With a diagnosis of unexplained infertility, I found myself wanting more diagnostic tests completed or further work up to determine was was causing our infertility. We completed an HSG and AMH/progesterone/thyroid labs but that was it. The fact that these were not offered was a little frustrating, but I assumed that the point was our treatment plan would not change no matter the diagnosis so it would have been a waste of time/resources. There were a couple of times I was told I would receive a call with lab results and did not. They were normal in the end but I didn't find this out until the next in person appointment. I wasn't too concerned since I had assumed no news was good news, but still if it had been off I would have been frustrated at the lost time. In the end, we ended up pregnant after our first cycle of medicated timed intercourse (even though Dr. Couchman had warned us this was very unlikely to succeed) so with positive results its hard to have much negative to say.
Don't be afraid to "pester" with questions or to pursue more information.
Dr. Couchman has a very straight-forward attitude. I would not describe her as having a "warm" bedside manner. I think her directness to some can come off as her treating you like a number. However, in the end she was a very competent provider made sure to explain all the details of our treatment plan and diagnosis in an unhurried manner. She was also very quick to respond to emails and complete chart reviews outside of our scheduled time which made it feel more like a human connection.
1 round of letrozole taken cycle days 3-5 followed by a trigger shot on day 12 with timed intercourse on day 12 & 13. Confirmed pregnancy 2 weeks after trigger shot. This was confirmed by "beta HCG" lab draws and an ultrasound at 6.5 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
Honestly I had minimal interaction with the nursing staff during my time there. They usually just took my vitals then walked me back to Dr. Couchman. I did have one baseline ultrasound with a nurse and that went well, though I did have a rather large fibroid on the outside of my uterus that was missed until my next ultrasound with a provider.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The strengths of this clinic are competent staff/providers, short wait times, flexible appointments, and clear financial expectations. Weaknesses include organization/prompt response to phone messages (not including email to providers). Once I needed an appointment urgently but there was no availability, the front office staff said they would "flag my chart" and call me if something opened up. After a few days I called back to ask about it and they had an opening but said they couldn't call me back because the sticky note fell off of my chart. When you're dealing with tight scheduling related to your menstrual cycle and don't want to be delayed a whole month for one appointment, this can come as a big disappointment. There were a couple of times that I would leave voicemails either for the front office or the billing department and not receive a call back within 48 hrs and would have to call back. When I first found out I was pregnant, I wanted to come in first thing in the morning to get my labs drawn to confirm the pregnancy but couldn't get through on the phone until 15 minutes after opening time because they hadn't cut the phones on yet. The last major stressful instance I had was when trying to get prior authorization through insurance for a medication I needed. The billing department said they submitted it, then I noticed it was declined. When I followed up I found out it was because they left a portion off of the initial authorization request and that they would refile it. I waited a few days and still it had not been filed. Then I called the billing department to inquire and when I finally got through they said it had been denied, when really it hadn't been filed again (because I checked with my insurance company). I sent a strong-worded email and the form was submitted that day. I recall this being very stressful and was frustrated that the billing department did not hold to complete tasks they said they would complete and I felt pressured into going through their "self-pay pharmacy" rather than pursue treatment through my insurance.
With the NC state 80/20 health plan: I paid $80 for visits/counsel sessions with Dr. Couchman. I paid $31.20 for ultrasound with an RN and $55.85 for ultrasound with a provider (they said you can specify which you want depending if you want to spend the extra money), $53.50 for Ovidrel at self-pay pharmacy,
Raleigh

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions.

2019 - 2020
Dr. Park was always very personable and would thoroughly answer all questions. He was keen for us to participate in a study and personally called me...was very thorough and patiently answer my and my husband's questions. He was honest and straightforward and would fully explain procedures and risks. I felt listened to and validated. Unfortunately, Dr. Park did not anticipate egg quality issues, which led to only 1 viable embryo after 23 eggs were retrieved. Although my vitamin D level was low prior to beginning the egg retrieval process, Dr. Park did not postpone to recheck the values. There may have been other common-sense interventions that could have been explored prior to hyperovulation.
Our nurse [at Carolina Conceptions] was responsive and available to answer questions via phone or email. My husband and I had some difficulty following her instructions for preparing the injections for hyperovulation. It would have been helpful to know there were videos on the website, but I did not learn this until after egg retrieval...We were lucky to be part of a clinical trial, which covered much of the IVF process and $4000 for medications. Additional exams, such as the HSG and saline ultrasound, were pricey (>$500). A consultation costs what I would expect ($150-$200).
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Park was very thorough and patiently answer my and my husband's questions. He was honest and straightforward and would fully explain procedures and risks. I felt listened to and validated. Unfortunately, Dr. Park did not anticipate egg quality issues, which led to only 1 viable embryo after 23 eggs were retrieved. Although my vitamin D level was low prior to beginning the egg retrieval process, Dr. Park did not postpone to recheck the values. There may have been other common-sense interventions that could have been explored prior to hyperovulation.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Prepare questions before meeting with Dr. Park
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Describe the protocols John Park used in your cycles at Carolina Conceptions and their degree of success.
We did a standard hyperovulation and egg retrieval cycle. I think the protocol was based on my normal AMH level, but I do not know for sure. I am part of a clinical trial, but the egg retrieval protocol was at the physician's discretion. Dr. Park suspects that I have a pelvic adhesion and therefore recommended IVF over any other treatment strategies. My egg retrieval produced 1 normal embryo (out of 23 eggs), so we are somewhat disappointed with the procedure. But Dr. Park spoke with us about how to optimize the success of the frozen embryo transfer, and we also have a plan for if the FET fails.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Shannon)
Our nurse was responsive and available to answer questions via phone or email. My husband and I had some difficulty following her instructions for preparing the injections for hyperovulation. It would have been helpful to know there were videos on the website, but I did not learn this until after egg retrieval. I felt more like a number to the nurse than the doctor because she generally brushed off concerns that I had (like with my vitamin D level). Some of the nurses at the clinic are excellent communicators and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
They are conveniently located and available by phone, but it can be hard to follow the phone tree and locate the specific person needed. The clinic participates in clinical trials, which is valuable to furthering the science of assisted reproduction. All of the doctors are highly trained, and many of the nurses are excellent.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Park at Carolina Conceptions.
Describe John Park's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolina Conceptions.
Dr. Park and his clinic will only perform single embryo transfer if preimplantation genetic testing has been performed. We were well educated on this, and it was part of the consent for the clinical trial as well as the IVF.
Raleigh

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions.

Male Factor, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr. Meyer was extremely informative and helpful and caring. He answered all our questions honestly but delicately. We weren't just another number for him, but he was genuinely interested in trying for us to be successful...We did a menopur & cetrotide only cycle since I have PCOS. I was also taking ovasitol and theratonin for 3 months prior and during to help egg quality. We got 20 eggs, but only 2 made it to blastocyst. They were 6AB grades but only 1 was PGS normal. It took in a frozen embryo transfer but later miscarried.
If you want to feel like a human and not a number or statistic, than this [Carolina Conceptions] is a great clinic. The front desk staff learned who you were very quickly even though there weren't many appointments. They do not monitor as closely as my other clinic which was nerve-wracking but it worked out in the end. I was used to daily monitoring and this was only every few days. Dr. Meyer and Dr. Park are fantastic. I don't have experience with the other doctors. They're phone system is very frustrating at times but you get used to it eventually.
Male Factor, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Don't be afraid to ask questions, and take the advice he gives.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
I felt like a human. The front desk learned who you were and everyone was kind and encouraging. Dr. Meyer was honest but caring
Describe the protocols Bill Meyer used in your cycles at Carolina Conceptions and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
They were always so nice. They were compassionate and caring. I am an extremely hard stick and they never got frustrated or annoyed by my hidden veins, or my questions.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
If you want to feel like a human and not a number or statistic, than this is a great clinic. The front desk staff learned who you were very quickly even though there weren't many appointments. They do not monitor as closely as my other clinic which was nerve-wracking but it worked out in the end. I was used to daily monitoring and this was only every few days. Dr. Meyer and Dr. Park are fantastic. I don't have experience with the other doctors. They're phone system is very frustrating at times but you get used to it eventually.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions.
Including egg retrieval, PGS, FET, medicines and acupuncture, I would estimate 16k-17k
Describe Bill Meyer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolina Conceptions.
N/A. We only had one to transfer but given my age and embryo grading I think the clinic generally follows eSET.
Raleigh

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions.

2019 - 2020
Dr. Park definitely helped to make my husband and I feel comfortable with the process by explaining all of our options and the likelihood of success to use using charts and graphs. his demeanor is very compassionate. While Dr. Park referenced data, he thought specifically about us as people and our position when recommending treatment options and did not make us feel like just a number...is thoughtful and listens carefully to all questions and concerns. He responds quickly to questions and always made us feel like a priority. He told us the recommendations he gave were what he would do in our position, and I truly believe that.
I was given a combination of Menopur and Gonal-f injections to stimulate egg production for our IVF cycle [at Carolina Conceptions]...The nurses were thorough in their explanations during our IVF class and embryo transfer class. They answered every question and were helpful each time I called with a question...Dr. Park advised that we only transfer one embryo at a time to avoid the complications of multiples.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Park is thoughtful and listens carefully to all questions and concerns. He responds quickly to questions and always made us feel like a priority. He told us the recommendations he gave were what he would do in our position, and I truly believe that.
Write down your questions and concerns before hand. We went over a lot at each appointment and it’s important to be prepared.
I was given a combination of Menopur and Gonal-f injections to stimulate egg production for our IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Carolina Conceptions has been great to work with. We have found the people in each area (front desk, finance, lab, etc.) to be helpful and kind. They have good communication. I have always had quick responses to phone calls and emails. When I come in for appointments I don’t have to wait long, which is drastically different from my obgyn’s office. Everyone in the office has been cheerful and kind. I would not want to go anywhere else when dealing with infertility.
We spent over $20,000 on one round of IVF, including genetic testing and all medications.
Raleigh

Dr Bowling is very knowledgeable of not just the female but the effects of the male fertility system. She made us feel comfortable, even thought the odds are against us, she reassured us in the best option for us to start our family would be IVF. Walked us through the entire procedure making sure that we were comfortable with the treatment plan. Very relate able and personable!!...She will give you the good and bad but she wants to you know ALL of your options and will make sure that you are comfortable with your care plan and if not then she will reassure you if there are no other or best options based on your case.
All of the nurses [at Carolina Conceptions] were warm and welcoming and assured us that we were in the best of hands with Dr Bowling...The cost for IVF treatment and Medication was about average of the national rate. Give or take a few 100.00. The FCC did advise of financial companies that we could look into to assist with the cost...Clinic setting is perfect, informational text to review while you wait, staff is welcoming and personal! Made sure that we had everything that we need, met with the financial care counselor who went over our insurance coverage, what insurance covered and what we would be responsible for. I can honestly say i did not see or witness any weakness within the office or staff. I would defiantly refer anyone here and strongly considering their office for our treatment!!
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr Bowling is SO relate-able, warm, caring, and is concerned about not just the well being of the reproductive part of an woman but is also concerned about the individual as a whole emotionally and physically. She may have been the 2nd doctor whom my husband & I consulted about our treatment but I feel totally confident she will take care of us and has us and our future family in her best interest. She made sure that we fully understood all of our options, diagnoses, process and procedures. I would diffidently recommend her to anyone who is looking for fertility treatment.
We only had a consult with her. We did inquire about INVOcell but due to the male factors against us, I would not be a good option for us that IVF would be our best and only option that would help us to start our family.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
It was Halloween when we visited the office and the whole staff was in costumes which made us smile, even the doctors as well. All of the nurses were warm and welcoming and assured us that we were in the best of hands with Dr Bowling. hey raved about her during our whole visit before we meet with her. 5 Gold starts for the nursing staff!!!
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Describe Meaghan Bowling's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolina Conceptions.

1 Egg Freezing, IVF
He [Dr. John Park] called me personally after my monitoring clinic didn’t get the results of my negative pregnancy test until the day after I was supposed to get the news. He met with us the day after to talk about how he recommended getting an ERA before I lost more of my remaining embryos. He took time and gracefully answered all my questions...He in detail described results of egg retrieval with my husband...He will make you feel calm and all your questions will be answered.
They are a great clinic [Carolina Conceptions]. Well oiled machine. They took the time to make sure I knew what was going on. They communicated well and made sure all my questions were answered. The office staff was personable and always met my needs...It was suggested now that I do ERA to get my lining timing right for next transfer...They [nurses] responded to emails quickly. I really would have liked one point person- ended up talking to them all.
1 Egg Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
He took time to talk with my husband and I during our meeting. He in detail described results of egg retrieval with my husband. He called me personally with my negative results after my first transfer.
Go see him. He will make you feel calm and all your questions will be answered.
He called me personally after my monitoring clinic didn’t get the results of my negative pregnancy test until the day after I was supposed to get the news. He met with us the day after to talk about how he recommended getting an ERA before I lost more of my remaining embryos. He took time and gracefully answered all my questions.
We did gonal f injections plus Lupron for my trigger shot then egg retrieval. We did PGS testing in another lab. We then had to do progesterone shots plus estrogen pills 5x a day and monitoring before the first retrieval. It didn’t work. It was suggested now that I do ERA to get my lining timing right for next transfer. We are taking time off ( a couple months ) before the ERA to let my bod get back to normal.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
They responded to emails quickly. I really would have liked one point person- ended up talking to them all.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
They are a great clinic. Well oiled machine. They took the time to make sure I knew what was going on. They communicated well and made sure all my questions were answered. The office staff was personable and always met my needs.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Carolina Conceptions.
We had to work at a remote monitoring office because I live 2 hours away in Wilmington NC. Glen Meade has a lot of problems communicating with CC. Like on the day I was supposed to find out if I was pregnant I had to wait a whole other day because they didn’t order the bloodwork STAT.
15,000 all services plus 2500 medicines
Only one embryo allowed in my tummy at a time is the rule at Carolina conceptions.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolina Conceptions.
Dr. Meyer forgot to tell my husband to take one test before our egg retrieval.

2017 - 2019
I encountered many challenges throughout my time working with this doctor [Dr. Meaghan Bowling]. Each time I felt like her main goal was to get rid of me. I felt she lacked compassion and wasn't a "cheerleader" for me at all...I'd been told I needed to purchase eggs by a particular date in order to proceed...then was diagnosed with an auto immune disease. I reached out to my dr to explain what was going on...She won't proceed with me because I didn't buy my eggs by the deadline even though I had a very good reason to hold off. Once I got all the tests back and confirmed I was okay to proceed, I wanted to do so.. but now she won't work with me.
I'd been told I needed to purchase eggs by a particular date in order to proceed [with Carolina Conceptions]. I had every intention of doing that but then was diagnosed with an auto immune disease. I reached out to my dr to explain what was going on and how important it was for me to get all the facts before investing 10,000-30,000 non refundable dollars on eggs. And as such, I would need meet her deadline for buying eggs. I did, however, assure them that I'd meet the deadline for pregnancy before the end of the calendar year which had been the second deadline she imposed on me. She won't proceed with me because I didn't buy my eggs by the deadline even though I had a very good reason to hold off. Once I got all the tests back and confirmed I was okay to proceed, I wanted to do so.. but now she won't work with me.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
There is so much to my story, I won't be able to cover it all here. But in a nutshell, I had many obstacles during this process. REAL obstacles, not anything made up or anything I could've prevented/avoided. I would hope a doctor in this situation would realize the stress I was under and work to give me hope and encouragement. Instead, I was made to feel like a waste of her time and a nuisance.
If you are an 'older' woman or a single woman.... I would look elsewhere. I feel she has a bias against these scenarios and holds them against her patients. If a woman who was younger and married encountered my exact challenges, I suspect she'd have treated them much differently.
I encountered many challenges throughout my time working with this doctor. Each time I felt like her main goal was to get rid of me. I felt she lacked compassion and wasn't a "cheerleader" for me at all.
She didn't do much beyond a consultation and then making me feel horrible about myself when I was unable to proceed in a quick fashion due to things out of my control such as an unexpected medical diagnosis and the discovery that the eggs I'd paid $5k to have held for me had been sold to someone else. These were issues I didn't cause and that required my working through before jumping in. She had no patience.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
I didn't really deal with the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I suspect that if I were younger and married, my experience would've been quite different. So for most people this clinic is probably okay. If you are don't fit the perfect scenario as far as your age, marital status etc.... you won't be treated favorably.
Since I had only consultations with her my costs were minimal. I don't have an exact dollar amount. But... this was the 2nd doctor who treated me. I'd spent a good deal more with my first doctor but then had to move out of state and start all over... which is why I ended up with Dr. Bowling.
I know she did have an opinion about single embryo transfer but... I was okay with that since I am single. While I'd have loved twins... I think I'd have a full plate with just one. So I didn't take issue with her on that.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolina Conceptions.
I'd been told I needed to purchase eggs by a particular date in order to proceed. I had every intention of doing that but then was diagnosed with an auto immune disease. I reached out to my dr to explain what was going on and how important it was for me to get all the facts before investing 10,000-30,000 non refundable dollars on eggs. And as such, I would need meet her deadline for buying eggs. I did, however, assure them that I'd meet the deadline for pregnancy before the end of the calendar year which had been the second deadline she imposed on me. She won't proceed with me because I didn't buy my eggs by the deadline even though I had a very good reason to hold off. Once I got all the tests back and confirmed I was okay to proceed, I wanted to do so.. but now she won't work with me.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
We had a wonderful relationship with Dr. Meyer. He always remembered the details of our work or recent travel. He would go out of his way to say hello if he saw you waiting for a routine ultrasound or bloodwork. He'd check in by email after procedures to see how I was feeling, etc. I couldn't say enough good things about our experience with him...I did a few rounds of Femera, 3 IUI rounds, one egg retrieval, and two frozen transfers. He also performed two surgeries on me- one for endometriosis and cyst removal, the other for fibroid removal.
I think Carolina Conceptions is great for a number of reasons- they are convenient, extremely efficient (I was always in and out in a timely manner), very easy to schedule with...staffed by compassionate people. It was genuinely a bittersweet moment to move on from the clinic to a regular OBGYN, as I felt that everyone was invested in their patients...Overall, the nurses were great at the clinic. I had a few instances where communication was muddled, but this only happened about 3x during 2 years. Little things like the incorrect prescription being called in to the fertility pharmacy, etc. These issues were quickly addressed and corrected.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
I was under Dr. Meyer's care for 2 years. I did a few rounds of Femera, 3 IUI rounds, one egg retrieval, and two frozen transfers. He also performed two surgeries on me- one for endometriosis and cyst removal, the other for fibroid removal. Dr. Meyer is a wonderful doctor. He's going to give you the information straight, but delivered with compassion. He's the most communicative doctor that I've ever heard of in any sort of medical practice. I must have emailed him directly over 50x over the last two years at all hours of the day, and always received a response within a few hours. He truly cares about his patients and their outcomes and will take the time to explain any diagnosis or treatment multiple times, if needed. Carolina Conceptions has a lot of patients to keep track of. Sometimes, I'd have to remind Dr. Meyer about small things pertaining to my past treatments, but he can't be expected to retain that information for every single one of his patients. No matter what clinic you're dealing with, it's important that you educate yourself as much as possible and be prepared to ask questions and advocate for yourself.
See previous answer
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I think Carolina Conceptions is great for a number of reasons- they are convenient, extremely efficient (I was always in and out in a timely manner), very easy to schedule with, have great pregnancy rates, and are staffed by compassionate people. It was genuinely a bittersweet moment to move on from the clinic to a regular OBGYN, as I felt that everyone was invested in their patients.
Unless it was an emergency, monitoring appointments always had an appointment time between the hours of 7-noon. They ran on time 95% of the time - extremely efficient.
We had only $500 of fertility lifetime coverage, so everything was out of pocket.
Dr. Meyer urges his patients to only transfer one embryo - I think it's the policy of the clinic. He does this to cut down on the risks of carrying multiples for both baby and mother.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolina Conceptions.
I had one instance where the incorrect dosage was called in to the fertility pharmacy, but this was taken care of quickly. There was also one instance when my nurse asked me if I had given myself a certain injection that wasn't part of my protocol, and was confused why the Dr. hadn't prescribed it. Dr. Meyer quickly stepped in and explained my protocol to the nurse and explained why I didn't need that particular medication.
Raleigh

He [Dr. Meyer] is extremely knowledgeable. He wanted to try less costly treatment first before moving on to anything else. He communicated quickly back and forth in emails. He was blunt and got right to the point. I did not feel that I was just a number and a source of income for him.... I am diagnosed PCOS with a history of no response to oral medications First 3 rounds: Femara 7.5 mg and Tamoxifen 60 mg. Thought the Tamoxifen would increase the chance of ovulation.
They [Carolina Conceptions] do not take cash. Everyone was very friendly from the time of setting up the appointments until check out. Not a negative thing to say about this clinic. It is in a very convenient location if you live in the Raleigh area....They have mini clinics at other treatment centers for initial consultations to make things easier for people who do come from awhile away.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
He is extremely knowledgeable. He wanted to try less costly treatment first before moving on to anything else. He communicated quickly back and forth in emails. He was blunt and got right to the point. I did not feel that I was just a number and a source of income for him.
Be prepared for all avenues and to keep an open mind about treatment options
We spoke in his office, not a regular exam room. He asked me about my personal life, work, how far of a dive it was to get to the office. He wanted to get to know me as a person first before discussing anything fertility related.
I am diagnosed PCOS with a history of no response to oral medications First 3 rounds: Femara 7.5 mg and Tamoxifen 60 mg. Thought the Tamoxifen would increase the chance of ovulation. 3 cycles with no confirmed ovulation noted from blood work 4th round. Gonal F 75 IU every day at 8 pm. Ultrasound every three days. Did 10 days of Gonal F and had no follicle growth on any scans. Produced more follicles but none got larger than 11 mm. Cycle was cancelled. Was told IVF would be the best bet since I would need to hyper stimulate.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
Extremely compassionate. When I would cry in the office everyone was so comforting.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
They do not take cash. Everyone was very friendly from the time of setting up the appointments until check out. Not a negative thing to say about this clinic. It is in a very convenient location if you live in the Raleigh area. If not, it is an easy drive. I live 2.5 hours from the clinic and it was a straight shot. They have mini clinics at other treatment centers for initial consultations to make things easier for people who do come from awhile away.
Each ultrasound appointment was $200. Initial consult was $150 Femara and Tamoxifen was covered under insurance. Injections were $1,000+ Gas to and from appointments $500+ Days off of work since it is the closest fertility clinic to me.

PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I feel like she [Dr. Couchman] was very experienced in what she was doing. She explained all of the risks and possible bumps down the road. She prepared us for the worst but hoped for the best along side of us. She was always very honest with us.... After our first negative test with one embryo transferred she adjusted and transferred two embryos, we got pregnant and lost it. After losing that we were going back for our third transfer and found out we were pregnant on our own.
They [Carolina Conceptions] were timely with appointments and you were in and out for ultrasound or lab tests in no time. We were miscarrying on the weekend and they got us in on a Sunday morning to do an ultrasound to verify what we thought we knew. They also brought us back the next day to do another ultrasound and lab work. They were compassionate and understanding of what we were going through.
PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
I feel like she was very experienced in what she was doing. She explained all of the risks and possible bumps down the road. She prepared us for the worst but hoped for the best along side of us. She was always very honest with us. Her bedside manner was great as well.
Pregnancy is not a guarantee, no matter who you see.
She took the time to go over and explain everything. We felt like we were heard.
We did one round of IUI with Dr. Couchman, the medications weren’t working. She opted to stop before the insemination and move ahead with the egg retrieval. After our first negative test with one embryo transferred she adjusted and transferred two embryos, we got pregnant and lost it. After losing that we were going back for our third transfer and found out we were pregnant on our own. When telling her that we were pregnant she told us that if we lost that pregnancy she wanted to do a procedure to look at my uterus due to the multiple losses. We lost that baby as well and have yet to make an appointment with her.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
They were timely with appointments and you were in and out for ultrasound or lab tests in no time. We were miscarrying on the weekend and they got us in on a Sunday morning to do an ultrasound to verify what we thought we knew. They also brought us back the next day to do another ultrasound and lab work. They were compassionate and understanding of what we were going through.
There were appointments made for the hours in the morning. There was never a long line or seemed like excessive amount of people waiting for the same things.
Medications were expensive but that’s what I expected. My insurance covered a certain portion and after that we paid it. I was prepared for the cost and appreciated the breakdown and financial planning ahead of time.
We cautiously started with one embryo, she asked our opinion and was on board with us moving to two embryos.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolina Conceptions.
There was a scheduling error once. My husband and I were there and they didn’t have us down. We had to come back at a later date.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained, Other
Dr Park is great at explaining things in a way that we, the patient, will understand. He also never makes us feel rushed and allows us allotted time to ask whatever questions we may have. When I’ve contacted him rather by email or phone, he has always gotten back to me and was very responsive.... I have a luteal phase defect and all of my bloodwork came back normal, my husbands SA was fine, I did the HSG so the next step was to do a medicated monitored cycle with timed intercourse.
My only complaint about the clinic [Carolina Conceptions] is that it’s hard to get an appointment but I understand that is because they are just that busy. There has been a few times where we had to wait extra days before seeing the doctor because of scheduling. But like I said, I get. The clinic staff is always friendly and helpful. They’ve seen me through two miscarriages now and are always very compassionate
European, Middle Eastern
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr Park is great at explaining things in a way that we, the patient, will understand. He also never makes us feel rushed and allows us allotted time to ask whatever questions we may have. When I’ve contacted him rather by email or phone, he has always gotten back to me and was very responsive. I don’t know his weaknesses at this point because he’s been great so far.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. I literally go in with my notebook and ask every queStion that I possibly have!
Dr Park is very caring and personable but also gives it to you straight. We feel like we can genuinely trust him as he guides us through infertility and recurrent pregnancy loss.
I have a luteal phase defect and all of my bloodwork came back normal, my husbands SA was fine, I did the HSG so the next step was to do a medicated monitored cycle with timed intercourse. We did Letrozole, ovidrel and I used progesterone suppositories. We got pregnant on the first cycle but unfortunately miscarried.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
So far my experience with the nursing staff has been great! They are always quick to return a call, send in a prescription, rely a message to dr Park. After each of my losses they really showed compassion when speaking to me on the phone, too.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
My only complaint about the clinic is that it’s hard to get an appointment but I understand that is because they are just that busy. There has been a few times where we had to wait extra days before seeing the doctor because of scheduling. But like I said, I get. The clinic staff is always friendly and helpful. They’ve seen me through two miscarriages now and are always very compassionate
Unfortunately we don’t have great insurance so we have had to spend a bit out of pocket but Dr Park and the financial advisor, are both great at helping us determine costs before each procedure or scan.
Raleigh

I first met Dr. Meyer in Wilmington where we live for our initial consultation. We met and he talked to us first to get to know us and then explained everything in clear and precise detail of what to expect. Everything was laid out for us and made so easy for us. Anytime I had questions at random times of the day I knew I could email him and get a response in a timely manner. I never had to worry or wonder “what’s next” everything was explained to us. We did two IUI’s which failed, so I knew right away I wanted to go straight to IVF, so I met Dr. Meyer again in Wilmington to discuss IVF. Again, he laid everything out for us, explained the process in great detail and got right to it. I then went on to start my first IVF cycle, after egg retrieval, we did a 5 day fresh transfer, which was successful!
Overall from phone calls, front desk, nurses, doctors, embryologist...everybody [at Carolina Conceptions] was so professional, compassionate, quick with responses. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the whole clinic!.... For IVF we started on birth control for about 10 days, within that 10 days I was monitored to make sure everything looked okay to proceed with the stim injections. I then was able to proceed with injections (menopur and gonul F) from there I did stim a for about 11 days, again during the stim process I was monitored to make sure everything was progressing as it should. Once instructed I started cetrotide injection and also instructed when to trigger for my egg retrevial. I went in for the egg retrevial and then started progesterone injections the next day after retrevial, then I did a 5 day fresh embryo transfer. My results was a positive pregnancy test and I am currently 12 weeks, 2 days!
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Trust the processs and trust Dr. Meyer, he will do everything he can to help you!
Dr. Meyer was always there to answer any questions I had even through email. He talked to me and my husband and truly got to know us and our backgrounds. He was always understanding of our wants and needs when it came to our treatment plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Elisa Miller)
Very responsive to my questions and needs, knowledgeable, trust worthy and always so kind.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Overall from phone calls, front desk, nurses, doctors, embryologist...everybody was so professional, compassionate, quick with responses. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the whole clinic!

2017 - 2019
The clinic [Carolina Conceptions] has a huge clientele, one that far outweighs their staff numbers in my opinion. I was not assigned a nurse, which was one of my biggest complaints going through the process when questions or issues would come up outside of hours. The clinic also does not offer any sort of in house financing options, nor do they accept common payment forms like Care Credit.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Park was very professional and explained things well during my consult. When we started treatment, we were happy to hear that Dr. Park did not think we would need to consider IVF, as he felt we would likely conceive from IUI, but that it possibly make take a few attempts. He was also was considerate of my lack of infertility coverage through insurance, and factored that in to medication options, appointment coding (though nothing about IUI was covered), and attempted to balance a good treatment approach while being cost effective at the same time. My disappointment came when Dr. Park didn't see me, or follow up with me during or after either of my IUI's. The 2 week wait is such a roller coaster of emotions, and it would have helped ease my mind to hear from him (or someone) to see how I was feeling, or at least a check in to see if I had a positive pregnancy test at the end. I think that Dr. Park is very knowledgable, and one of the best in his field, but I didn't feel like things and approaches were always thought through as well as they could have been. The clinic is a VERY busy practice and it's impossible to please everyone, but I think unless you're an IVF patient, you don't get the same level of care.
Advocate for yourself! If you feel like something should be added to your protocol, tell him. If something said or certain instructions don't sound right to you, question it! They're human and make mistakes too, so always do you research, know whats what, and don't be afraid to ask! It's easy to feel like you're being bothersome by asking lots of questions, but when you're paying them a lot of money, you should always feel like you're being heard and taken well care of.
I felt like because I was only doing IUI and not paying thousands and thousands of dollars for IVF, my needs and concerns were not as carefully considered once treatment started. Both IUI's, the nurse did the insemination and I didn't see the Dr at any of my appointments beyond my consultation. I felt like I left my first IUI without a clear understanding of what I could and couldn't take (I get headaches, so having a confident, clear understanding of what was safe, was not provided to me initially). Basically I felt like a lot of information was withheld until I asked about it, including, but not limited to more cost effective way to obtain the medications I needed.
Dr. Park thought we would be successful with a basic round of IUI. My protocol was baseline ultrasound, followed by low stimulation (letrozol only), 2nd monitoring ultrasound and finally the trigger shot before insemination day. While I was going through treatment, I had spoke to several friends also going through treatment, as well as my own researched, and I was curious why progesterone wasn't part of my protocol, especially with my history of spotting after ovulation, deeming me to have a "luteal phase deficiency". Dr. Park agreed that it couldn't hurt, so we added progesterone suppositories to my second cycle, which seemed to help, but still did not result in a pregnancy. After 2 failed cycles, I contacted Dr. Park to see if he had any insight on why we weren't successful yet. He confirmed that I responded exactly as I should have to the meds, and my husbands sample was just fine on insemination day, and that basically we just needed to keep trying, as IUI can often take multiple attempts. After that, we stopped treatment to gather our thoughts, reassess finances and just emotionally get over our 2 failed attempts.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
The nursing staff was always pleasant at each visit. In fact, after my initial consultation, the nurses were the only ones I saw at each visit. I was not assigned a nurse, so when I would contact the nurse line for questions, they were all pleasant and helpful.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic has a huge clientele, one that far outweighs their staff numbers in my opinion. I was not assigned a nurse, which was one of my biggest complaints going through the process when questions or issues would come up outside of hours. The clinic also does not offer any sort of in house financing options, nor do they accept common payment forms like Care Credit. Infertility treatment is a huge financial burden for so many, and having some options would help so many, including myself. Otherwise, everyone is prompt, friendly, compassionate and knowledgable.
For a very basic approach, our cost was around $1500 each attempt. Future attempts will be more aggressive and much more expensive. Monitoring ultrasouds: $250/each. I only needed 2 Semen Analysis: $148 Meds: around $300 (letrozole and ovidrell) Insemination day: $480
I haven't done IVF yet, though we were asked by our Dr if we were interested in an IVF clinical trial. We're currently working on securing funds to proceed with the IVF clinical trial, or continue with further IUI attempts.
Raleigh

When meeting with Dr.Parks he always explains every detail down to the core. He uses diagrams and pictures to show specifically what he is talking about throughout the doctor visit. Furthermore, he exceeds expectations of what a person struggling with infertility would expect of there doctor.... The first time meeting with Dr. Parks I noticed that he was a wonderful listener. I explained the problems we were having and he used his critical thinking to narrow down the problem that could be leading to our infertility. Immediately after listening to our problems he began diagnostics to narrow the problem down specifically. Next, he gave us our options and was willing to work with us all across the board.
The clinic [Carolina Conceptions] is very flexible. The staff is nice and have always treated me with the upmost respect throughout my stuggles. This clinic is dependable, flexible, friendly, and have hard working employees. Also, very punctual which is important when going through this journey... She [the nurse] is wonderful. Anytime, I send her a message she will respond back within minutes. It could be in the middle of the night and she always provide me with an answer.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
To provide all of the information needed to have a successful journey because he is willing to listen and find the best option for his patients.
Well my protocol is the lupron protocol. Being that my amh is higher it appears to work better to try bcp and lupron to prevent the chances of ohss which is very important to prevent a uncessful cycle.
She is wonderful. Anytime, I send her a message she will respond back within minutes. It could be in the middle of the night and she always provide me with an answer.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic is very flexible. The staff is nice and have always treated me with the upmost respect throughout my stuggles. This clinic is dependable, flexible, friendly, and have hard working employees. Also, very punctual which is important when going through this journey.
The costs for IVF are high. However,this clinic provides patients with a financial advisor.
My clinic prefer to use a single embryo transfer for those who are under 35 to prevent complications from multiples.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
John Park is phenomenal! When he found out at diagnosed me with a low AMH, he was so surprised of my diagnoses (because of my age) he did his own research of the type of radiation treatment I had to see if that could have been the cause. His communication is by far the best I’ve ever seen from a doctor. If I email him I will receive an email back within a few hours. He makes such a difficult journey easy...If you have questions ask, he’ll answer
Nursing staff is great, they know me by name and face [at Carolina Conceptions]. They are compassionate. Not only are the nursing staff great but the front desk staff is wonderful and I can’t say enough for the financial coordinators especially Catie!...Costs are well under what I expected. My insurance covers a majority of my treatment. Dr park was clear with the cost of every treatment plan and wrote out a sheet for each treatment itemizing each section
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
If you have questions ask, he’ll answer
Bed side manner is a big deal to me. I am also a cancer patient, and have many other medical conditions, so I’ve seen my share of doctors. Dr. Park bedside manner is amazing, he is truthful and also a sense of humor. He tells it how it is but still let’s us know there is hope. Dr. Park doesn’t treat me like a number he knows me by name and face even just passing him in the hall.
I have a low AMH due to diminishing egg reserve. Dr park recommended iui or ivf he respected my choice to go slow and start with iui and meet back with him to talk when I’m ready, after one or three iui cycles
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
Nursing staff is great, they know me by name and face. They are compassionate. Not only are the nursing staff great but the front desk staff is wonderful and I can’t say enough for the financial coordinators especially Catie!
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Strengths: compassionate, great communication, understanding, comforting, clean, feels like a small doctor feel. Weakness: little bit more treatment and checkups, such as checkup with bloodwork, weight, etc.
Raleigh

Dr. Park made sure to thoroughly explain our treatment plan each appointment as things progressed and evolved, and at the very beginning gave us a detailed explanation about what different treatment options would look like if throughout testing they were deemed as necessary. It was always easy to get an appointment with him, which made the fertility process go so much faster. After only 3 months we were able to get pregnant!...
They [Carolina Conceptions] also made sure you could talk to a financial counselor at any point that would lay out what everything would cost...The clinic was clean, and all of the support staff was very helpful and kind! Everyone went above and beyond to make sure you had a good experience. It was very easy to make appointments, whether that was with the lab for bloodwork or with a doctor...I underwent basic testing (HSG, various bloodwork) and they discovered that I was not ovulating regularly. I was put on a protocol of letrozole followed by a shot of Ovidrel and timed intercourse. We were able to get pregnant that very first cycle!
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
I could not have imagined a better experience. Dr. Park made sure to thoroughly explain our treatment plan each appointment as things progressed and evolved, and at the very beginning gave us a detailed explanation about what different treatment options would look like if throughout testing they were deemed as necessary. It was always easy to get an appointment with him, which made the fertility process go so much faster. After only 3 months we were able to get pregnant!
Trust him, and don't be afraid to ask questions. He is a great doctor and is very helpful at answering any questions you may have.
Dr. Park was extremely kind and supportive throughout our care with him. He was empathetic to how difficult it is to struggle with infertility and always took the time to answer our questions so that we never felt rushed during an appointment. He had a phenomenal bedside manner!
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic was clean, and all of the support staff was very helpful and kind! Everyone went above and beyond to make sure you had a good experience. It was very easy to make appointments, whether that was with the lab for bloodwork or with a doctor. They also had a financial coordinator who was always available to let you know how much each test would cost, so you weren't blindsided.
Most all procedures or appointments were far more reasonable than I anticipated. They also made sure you could talk to a financial counselor at any point that would lay out what everything would cost.
Raleigh
I started off with Femara for 3 months [with Dr. Bill Meyer] and my body barely responded. Moved onto An injectable cycle with Gonal f, Cetrotide, Ovidrel with Assisted iui... is very straightforward with his fertility expertise. He’ll tell you how it is and does not give you The runaround. I would actually recommend him to someone that doesn’t expect too much of A fuzzy and warm bedside manner. He’s smart, to the point, and Thorough. He’s Very responsive and helpful. He’s A very busy Dr. but he definitely does take that moment to respond to your questions and concerns. I just love how he doesn’t take too long to draw up A plan for us. Even when my Body did not respond with Femara after the 3 rounds, I expressed my thoughts on wanting to be aggressive and moving on to injections. He went ahead and allowed me to start right away after Some tests were done.
I had 2 nurses throughout my time there [at Carolina Conceptions]. They were very sweet, informative, and caring. They’ll call you back if you leave them A message. And those nurses that make those calls are also great!...Cost me $5000 for my injectable medications, HSG, bloodwork, ultrasound, office visits, iui class, day of insemenation, spermwash...They are actually located in A very busy area due to them being by A hospital. Parking is always available. Early morning appointments are the best. I’d recommend going in around 7:30am.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Meyer is very straightforward with his fertility expertise. He’ll tell you how it is and does not give you The runaround. I would actually recommend him to someone that doesn’t expect too much of A fuzzy and warm bedside manner. He’s smart, to the point, and Thorough. He’s Very responsive and helpful. He’s A very busy Dr. but he definitely does take that moment to respond to your questions and concerns. I just love how he doesn’t take too long to draw up A plan for us. Even when my Body did not respond with Femara after the 3 rounds, I expressed my thoughts on wanting to be aggressive and moving on to injections. He went ahead and allowed me to start right away after Some tests were done.
Before you go for your consultation, prepare A list of questions. Be prepared financially if you plan on going in for An injectable cycle. As it is very costly depending on your insurance.
This Fertility clinic treats you with respect and always acknowledges your presence.
I started off with Femara for 3 months and my body barely responded. Moved onto An injectable cycle with Gonal f, Cetrotide, Ovidrel with Assisted iui.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
I had 2 nurses throughout my time there. They were very sweet, informative, and caring. They’ll call you back if you leave them A message. And those nurses that make those calls are also great!
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
This clinics communication skills are great. Appointments are always on time and results are very fast to obtain. It’ll be great to have A patient portal to communicate with Doctors or nurses, but they don’t have that here. You’ll have to call everytime you need something. They are actually located in A very busy area due to them being by A hospital. Parking is always available. Early morning appointments are the best. I’d recommend going in around 7:30am.

Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Not much change between cycles to better suit my specific needs [with Dr John Park]. We were always shown statistics on why the procedures should have worked rather than trying to figure out what it was specifically about me that was going wrong...was very kind, but unfortunately he just didn’t have any answers as to why our procedures kept failing. He was patient with us at every appointment and was very understanding of our frustrations that worsened after every failed attempt
Costs [at Carolina Conceptions]...affordable, compared to what we were expecting. IVF was about $15,000 for our protocol...Appointment start times often ran late. The clinic was extremely busy at all times and it did feel a bit like a conveyer belt. Availability with Dr. Park we’re often 4-6 weeks out. Would have been helpful if some appointment times were held for necessary last minute appointments...The head nurse, Terry was absolutely amazing. I always felt well taken care of whenever we were seen.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Park was very kind, but unfortunately he just didn’t have any answers as to why our procedures kept failing. He was patient with us at every appointment and was very understanding of our frustrations that worsened after every failed attempt
Do your own research and bring your own suggestions (acupuncture, diet, supplements, etc.)
Not much change between cycles to better suit my specific needs. We were always shown statistics on why the procedures should have worked rather than trying to figure out what it was specifically about me that was going wrong.
We completed three rounds of clinic with IUI. We were given the option of times intercourses, but wanted to try to be as proactive as possible. I triggered these rounds with ovidrel only. These resulted in 3 negative pregnancy tests. We then moved on to Invocell IVF with limited stimulation. This resulted in only 2 eggs retrieved and neither inseminating. Then we did two rounds of traditional IVF with very limited changes in dosage on the second round. The first resulted in 26 eggs retrieved, 4 embryos sent for PGS testing on day 6, and 0 coming back normal. The second resulted in 29 eggs retrieved, with 0 progressing normally on day 3.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Costs were e trembly affordable, compared to what we were expecting. IVF was about $15,000 for our protocol.
We never reached a stage where this decision had to be made, so I’m unsure.
Raleigh

he [Dr. Bill Meyer] was shocked to see that we were having such a hard time conceiving at our age. The only thing That was a little iffy to me was that he talked pretty fast so it was difficult to keep up with and remember all the things he said. He was determined to get us answers and even tried to see if there was a way to get the testing covered under our insurance...wanted to run quite a few tests on both me and my husband. Sperm analysis, blood draws, and he also wanted to do an ultrasound with contrast to looks at my ovaries. We’re still waiting on some testing now.
The clinic [Carolina Conceptions] was well kept and organized and the nurses were compassionate. The only weakness I found was that all the testing that we needed to have done had to be done at their office which is about 2 hours away from where we live. Everything else was great!...My husband is in the military and the clinic was very helpful with that...offer some amazing discounts for military couples. I believe it’s around 50% depending on the procedure
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Meyer was actually fantastic in my opinion. I saw him at an office down in Wilmington and he was shocked to see that we were having such a hard time conceiving at our age. The only thing That was a little iffy to me was that he talked pretty fast so it was difficult to keep up with and remember all the things he said. He was determined to get us answers and even tried to see if there was a way to get the testing covered under our insurance.
One piece of advice would be to take a note pad with you to take notes
He really seemed to confident in being able to get us some answers as to why we were having so many issues
Dr. Meyer wanted to run quite a few tests on both me and my husband. Sperm analysis, blood draws, and he also wanted to do an ultrasound with contrast to looks at my ovaries. We’re still waiting on some testing now.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
As a new patient (and being an infertility newbie) I was super nervous going to this office. I wasn’t sure what they were going to do or what questions they would ask. Dr. Meyer was amazing at keeping me calm throughout the whole thing and was comforting when I explained our situation. The clinic was well kept and organized and the nurses were compassionate. The only weakness I found was that all the testing that we needed to have done had to be done at their office which is about 2 hours away from where we live. Everything else was great!
My husband is in the military and the clinic was very helpful with that. Unfortunately our insurance does not cover any infertility treatments but the clinic does offer some amazing discounts for military couples. I believe it’s around 50% depending on the procedure
Raleigh

Dr Park was very understanding and personable during our visit with him. He told us multiple options we had in moving forward and never put any pressure on us, which made us very comfortable under his care.... My husband and I did a round of the IUI treatment. Dr Park explained what to expect throughout the process and even got us started that day after our consultation which was great. We started with the initial ultrasound and then went home and took our oral medications as prescribed.
I do think the front desk and nursing staff [Carolina Conceptions] could be a little more friendly and personable. I understand they see lots of people everyday but they didn’t seem very “warm and welcoming” as the doctor did.... Most of the nurses seemed friendly but weren’t very personable. They made me feel much more like a number rather than a patient.... We paid a consultation fee, the fee for each ultrasound done, and then the fee for the procedure itself.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr Park was very understanding and personable during our visit with him. He told us multiple options we had in moving forward and never put any pressure on us, which made us very comfortable under his care. We are planning to see him again within the next month for further treatment and we are looking forward to it! He’s very informative and knowledgeable about the treatments he suggests and is very thorough in explaining each one.
Just to keep up the great work!
Dr. Park was wonderful and very informative to my husband and I. He seemed to really care about pointing us in the right direction and getting us the treatment we need to be able to conceive. Highly recommend him to anyone!
My husband and I did a round of the IUI treatment. Dr Park explained what to expect throughout the process and even got us started that day after our consultation which was great. We started with the initial ultrasound and then went home and took our oral medications as prescribed. He told me what day to do my injection to trigger ovulation and then scheduled what day to come in for the insemenation. Unfortunately we didn’t conceive during that round of IUI but plan to go back soon to talk to Dr Park again about further treatment options.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Dr Parks was wonderful and I highly recommend him to anyone looking for a fertility specialist physician. I do think the front desk and nursing staff could be a little more friendly and personable. I understand they see lots of people everyday but they didn’t seem very “warm and welcoming” as the doctor did.
Raleigh

Dr. Bowling is friendly and compassionate, but she is a bit passive and wishy washy. If you're looking for someone who is blunt, Dr. Bowling is not the right doctor for you. She explains her rationale behind treatment, but in my tough case I've had to do most of the thinking outside the box....Dr. Bowling, however, was willing to actually let me attempt IVF despite an expected poor response. One of the other doctors at the clinic told me he would not go to retrieval for less than 3 follicles, and he didn't think I'd make that minimum.
The front desk staff [Carolina Conceptions] are friendly and often remember my name. They have been more than willing to help direct me to the right person for my various questions. The financial coordinators have been a little more businesslike but are efficient and willing to answer all questions.... I've only just started working with Taylor for my upcoming IVF cycle. She was very friendly and explained things well out our education class. She has been very responsive to questions via email.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Bowling is friendly and compassionate, but she is a bit passive and wishy washy. If you're looking for someone who is blunt, Dr. Bowling is not the right doctor for you. She explains her rationale behind treatment, but in my tough case I've had to do most of the thinking outside the box. Thankfully I'm the type of person who will do my own in-depth research, including searching medical journals and reviewing research studies, to educate myself on the most recent information available. Because of this, I've been able to ask more in-depth questions that have led to treatment options that may not have otherwise been suggested. Dr. Bowling, however, was willing to actually let me attempt IVF despite an expected poor response. One of the other doctors at the clinic told me he would not go to retrieval for less than 3 follicles, and he didn't think I'd make that minimum.
Do your own research and ask her about your findings and whether different approaches may be worth trying.
Dr. Bowling is pleasant, yet I have to ask a lot of questions, make suggestions, and generally steer her toward thinking outside the box. She has, however, been very open to trying new things based on research-based suggestions I've made. The clinic overall doesn't really provide a "this is what happens next" approach. I have had to just jump in and make it happen on my own.
Dr. Bowling explained that my body is working very hard to produce follicles each cycle, so additional FSH provided via gonadotropins may not be helpful. However, she concluded that I should try high doses to attempt to recruit more follicles. TI cycle #1: 300 iu Follistim, Cetrotide, and Ovidrel trigger. Expected poor response to gonadotropins, hence the higher dose. I had an early recruited 14mm follicle at the baseline ultrasound that the attending RE thought was a cyst. Stimmed anyway, and only the lone follicle grew. Triggered after only a few days of Follistim. Negative test. TI cycle #2: Start Estradiol on day 20 of previous cycle. 7.5 mg Letrozole for first 5 days + 375 iu Follistim, Cetrotide, Ovidrel Trigger. Recruited 3 follicles, last ultrasound was on a Saturday and the nurse made the call to trigger. Two were large enough to be mature at trigger. Negative test. TI cycle #3: Start Estradiol on day 20 of previous cycle. Started 7.5 mg Letrozole and 450 iu Follistim on CD1. Stimmed for 12 days, four follicles grew, but not concurrently in size. Only two were large enough to be mature at trigger. Negative test. Currently planning to start a testosterone-primed Microdose Lupron Flare IVF cycle with Omnitrope. The hope is that adding testosterone and HGH will help recruit more and better quality follicles. The Microdose Lupron Flare protocol is often used for women with low ovarian reserve or who are poor responders.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Taylor)
I've only just started working with Taylor for my upcoming IVF cycle. She was very friendly and explained things well out our education class. She has been very responsive to questions via email. The other nurses I've worked with have also all been very friendly and professional.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The front desk staff are friendly and often remember my name. They have been more than willing to help direct me to the right person for my various questions. The financial coordinators have been a little more businesslike but are efficient and willing to answer all questions.
My medication and ultrasounds/labs were covered by insurance, so only had to pay a copay for procedures (2-6 ultrasounds each cycle ranging from $30-$55). My medications for my first cycle cost $2,000+, which met my pharmacy deductible for the year. Office visit copays are $85. Medications for my IVF cycle will cost about $5,000+ and the IVF procedure (with Service Worker discount, PGS biopsy, anesthesia, and FET) totals $12,300. Ultrasounds and PGS testing are not included in this price.
Dr. Bowling prefers single embryo transfer.

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
I felt that once we got to a common ground of understanding and that she [Dr. Bowling] could be blunt with me that the relationship turned into a more positive and trusting relationship. ... I have additional health issues that I felt were warranted to be taken into additional consideration and felt that initially my needs were not being met and my concerns were not being heard. ...
I only felt like a person once the embryo was in me and I was on my way to a successful metric. ... The office staff [Carolina Conceptions] was really great to work with and were always welcoming. I still felt like it was just a money making machine with a turn-style. Be prepared to spend a lot of money and get frustrated. ... When I called in with questions and got different nurses, they would call me back and NEVER read my file and I would have to tell them what was going on... very annoying!
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
At first I was not as happy with her as my primary doctor because I felt like just another number and that it was just the formality of processing and getting to the next patient, but as time went on we developed a better report and I still am keeping in touch with her via email on the progress of my pregnancy. I think that this has to do with some of the challenges and anomalies that have occurred through this process. I felt that once we got to a common ground of understanding and that she could be blunt with me that the relationship turned into a more positive and trusting relationship. I have to admit that I am not like most patients and have a very 'give me the facts and don't sugar coat it' type of approach that I can understand is not in typical character of most patients. I felt like once we got there things went great. The day I was released from CC, she came out and personally gave me a hug and asked me to keep in touch. She told me that I am officially on her list of "Amazing patient stories" and can understand why as I have had some crazy things occur.
I would say be open and up front with her about how you would like to receive information and communications. She is a great doctor and I think you just need to be up front with how you want to communicate.
So I will have to admit that at first I felt like a number and I was just being run through the process. I have additional health issues that I felt were warranted to be taken into additional consideration and felt that initially my needs were not being met and my concerns were not being heard. Throughout the process, the relationship transformed into a more caring one and I felt that I was treated like a human.
We started using the 'basic' process which is what I found frustrating at first because I have some personal health issues that I felt were yielding different results and expected to have a plan tailored to me given that information. It was discovered that my Progesterone levels were coming back high so I went on a Lupron down regulation where the levels were still the same...went through with the transfer anyway and was not successful. The second round she wanted to test my levels at my baseline and send off for testing and it was discovered that my levels were normal. My only option was to either do a test to check my uterus readiness through a mock transfer and spend the same as a transfer or go in blind. We made the decision to go in blind to move forward with the transfer with success. (We tried to get me ready for a transfer 2 other times previously and I was denied because of the levels being off. I would have preferred to have been tested before since the test was ONLY done locally in their clinic. We could have saved a lot of time and money knowing that.)
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
I don't recall the nurse that does the scheduling for the transfer, but I felt that she was the best to communicate with. When I called in with questions and got different nurses, they would call me back and NEVER read my file and I would have to tell them what was going on... very annoying!
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The office staff was really great to work with and were always welcoming. I still felt like it was just a money making machine with a turn-style. Be prepared to spend a lot of money and get frustrated. I only felt like a person once the embryo was in me and I was on my way to a successful metric. :(
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolina Conceptions.
Being a patient there for almost 2 years, things can happen. They never sent my chart to my OB that I was transferred to once my pregnancy was confirmed. Processes were changed while I was there and as a result was told to order more mediation than was needed (spend more money) and there was conflicting info between nurses when asked simple questions.
Raleigh

She is a good balance of reality and hope. ... Dr. Couchman can be a bit cold, but I also feel like she doesn't just waste your time doing things that likely won't work. ... I did an IVF cycle with menopur, testosterone, gonal-f, and something else, and I got very few follicles. I've done many IUIs with different doses of Gonal-F ... But before that, I did feel a bit like she was just putting me through a standard protocol, and I was just another patient.
So I would say, in general, the clinic's approach is more number-like, but overall, if you advocate for yourself and what you want, you will get individual treatment. But the status quo is more number driven, and one size fits all treatment. ... When I first started with Carolina Conceptions, I felt like a human, but there were definitely points along my journey where I haven't.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman can be a bit cold, but I also feel like she doesn't just waste your time doing things that likely won't work. She is a good balance of reality and hope. I have been working with Dr Couchman since conceiving my son, and we've had a lot of insurance-related hurdles, and because we've worked closely together, I feel she has more of an understanding of my case. But before that, I did feel a bit like she was just putting me through a standard protocol, and I was just another patient. However, with my relationship change with Dr. Couchman, the clinic's staff and other doctors also have been friendlier, so I feel like it's a clinic effort as well.
ADVOCATE FOR YOURSELF! Read up on what may be causing your infertility, ask lots of questions, and if something doesn't feel right, bring it up. The tendency with Dr Couchman is to do what works for most, but you know what works for you. Ask for it. Dr Couchman is very reasonable and will listen, but you have to ask to get a different result.
When I first started with Carolina Conceptions, I felt like a human, but there were definitely points along my journey where I haven't. I will say they have gotten a TON better in the last 6 months or so, across the board. Dr. Couchman can be a bit cold, but what I appreciate about her is that she is open to my thoughts on the process and the direction I want to go. There was a cycle (ended up being my best), that I had seen a different dr for my monitoring, who wanted to proceed very early with an IUI with just one follicle. I tried to push back, but the other dr was fairly adamant. I emailed Dr. Couchman later, and she came up with a plan that actually netted 9 eggs eventually. So I would say, in general, the clinic's approach is more number-like, but overall, if you advocate for yourself and what you want, you will get individual treatment. But the status quo is more number driven, and one size fits all treatment.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
The nurses associated with my FET and egg retrieval "in the back" were great! Very compassionate and sweet and caring. The front staff is kind of hit or miss, some are very nice, most are just so so. The lab staff are also very nice. The embroyologist we had was not very nice, borderline cranky.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
There seems to be an effort underway over the last 6 months to be friendlier, everyone is chattier, smiles more, and just more caring and friendly overall. I did have a few instances a few months back where the HCP doing my exam over a few of the appointments (different people each time) had to have a chaperone, which was a little weird, but overall, they seem to be trying to be nicer. I will say, they default your treatment overall, and if you feel something should be different, you need to speak up, across the board.
$15,125 for one IVF cycle, just clinic services, nothing additional
Carolina Conceptions has guidelines for this, but we didn't have multiple to transfer, so wasn't an issue for us. In general, I felt their guidelines were very responsible and reasonable.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolina Conceptions.
This was all insurance related - I need no prior auth for IUI trying for my second pregnancy, and I was asked when we first started if i preferred IUI or IVF, I said IVF, but knew I had great coverage, so whatever the insurance dictated (previously I had to try IUI 6 times prior to being approved for IVF). We got denied for IVF, but the clinic made it seem like we were denied overall. We waited over 6 months of appeals prior to the clinic notifying us that we could have done IUI, and only after I asked. I'm AMA, so this was particularly concerning, having lost almost a year in total until we finally got everything in line and started trying again. In addition to this, the person working the financial piece was borderline rude and very unhelpful. She also didn't order the correct tests when we were appealing, and caused us to lose a month there as well, and forgot to send results in during the appeal. I haven't seen her there lately, so perhaps she's gone, but she's been a long time employee of the clinic, so I don't think that's the case.