Carolina Conceptions

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
2601 Lake Dr
Raleigh, NC 27607
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Carolina Conceptions to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 197Neutral: 41Don't recommend: 169.1
The nursing staff [at Carolina Conceptions] was excellent. I had most of my monitoring appointments with Shannon and she was very friendly and encouraging...Carolina Conceptions is a large practice with many team members, but I liked all of the ones I met. You have a primary doctor, but for things that can't be scheduled like egg retrieval, you may have a different doctor performing the procedure. I mainly saw Dr. Meyer and Dr. Bowling during IVF, and I liked both of them a lot. The front desk staff is excellent, as are the financial coordinators and the practice manager, Nikki.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
At each of my sit down visits with him, Doctor Meyer came out to get me from the waiting room himself. If I would pass him during a monitoring only visit, he would always say hi to me and ask how I was doing. I really appreciated this.
The nursing staff was excellent. I had most of my monitoring appointments with Shannon and she was very friendly and encouraging.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Meyer was very straightforward and to the point, but he's also a kind person. He would allow me to ask as many questions as I wanted, and I never felt rushed. Once after asking some questions, he sent me home with a couple of articles to read on the subject. I really appreciated feeling like I was very well informed on what was going to happen. He was also very quick at responding to email, always the same day. During my stimulation, one of my ovaries wasn't responding as well as I would have liked. I spoke to Dr. Meyer and he said he would do my monitoring the next day himself, and we ended up extending the injections by one day to try to give some of my eggs one more day to catch up. I appreciated that he was flexible and willing to work with me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Don't be afraid to ask questions, he is a wealth of knowledge.
Describe the protocols Bill Meyer used in your cycles at Carolina Conceptions and their degree of success.
We did an antagonist protocol which included Gonal-F, Menopur, and cetrotide because of my higher AMH. I did a dual Lupron and HCG trigger because I was at risk for overstimulation. One of my ovaries responded better than the other, and so Dr. Meyer extended the stimulation by a day to try and let the other ovary catch up. Dr. Meyer did my retrieval and we ended up getting 10 eggs, 9 mature, and 7 fertilized. From there we ended up freezing 5 embryos.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions.
I believe one IVF cycle was quoted around $10,500, not including monitoring or medication. PGS testing was $3,500 for the biopsy.
Describe Bill Meyer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolina Conceptions.
For me, Dr. Meyer strongly recommended only transferring a single embryo due to the high risk nature of becoming pregnant with multiples.
Raleigh
The nurses [Carolina Conceptions] have been wonderful! They return calls promptly, answer questions well, encourage you, and are the ones you see most....friendly front desk and nurses, knowledgeable staff, lab draws always go smoothly and the lab staff is great, embryologists know their stuff... Weaknesses: Providing details and thorough information about diagnoses, treatment, results-I'm sure this is tough because too much info for some patients may be bad.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Strengths: High success rates!!, friendly front desk and nurses, knowledgeable staff, lab draws always go smoothly and the lab staff is great, embryologists know their stuff and are very nice Weaknesses: Providing details and thorough information about diagnoses, treatment, results-I'm sure this is tough because too much info for some patients may be bad. I am just one that loves to know it all upfront and see it. Having no portal to view my records is a bit of a challenge for me. You have to trust and ask questions along the way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
I like that Dr. Couchman is realistic, to-the-point, and obviously knows what she is talking about. Sometimes, I feel like it is hard to get thorough answers and explanations about my treatment. I want to know every little detail and would LOVE to be able to look at all of my medication orders, office notes, labs, etc on a patient portal. I appreciate that Dr. Couchman replies to most emails. It would've been nice to have her or a nurse to call or email to check in on me after my egg retrieval because recovery was harder than expected. I had to email with an update on my symptoms to be sure this was normal and there was nothing more I could do.
The nurses have been wonderful! They return calls promptly, answer questions well, encourage you, and are the ones you see most. If they don't know an answer, they will find out.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
I would definitely recommend Dr. Couchman because I feel confident that she is an expert in her field and I trust that she did everything in her power to help me become pregnant. She's not always warm and fuzzy but she tells you like it is and I respect that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
When you have appointments with her, have your questions ready! You mostly see nurses during office visits (they are great with questions too!). You can email Dr. Couchman, but I feel like I'm being annoying if I do this often or if I have long emails because her answers are short and sweet. She probably means nothing negative by this. She seems like she is super busy!
Describe the protocols Grace Couchman used in your cycles at Carolina Conceptions and their degree of success.
I did 1 round of medicated timed intercourse and 1 IUI each with Letrozole, Gonal-F 150 (I did not need Cetrotide but had it in case), and Ovidrel. With IVF, I was on birth control for a month then did Gonal-F 225 with 2 vials Menopur, added Cetrotide and ended up reducing Gonal-F and Menopur doses, then triggered with Lupron and a low dose of HCG. I have high AMH and am over 35. I had 39 eggs retrieved and 16 embryos made it to freeze. We did PGS testing and ended up with 5 normal embryos. We transferred one and we are pregnant!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Carolina Conceptions.
Well-organized and I was able to ask the nurse questions
Describe Grace Couchman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic has been open about how they prefer single embryo transfer. I agree that this is safest for mom and baby.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Carolina Conceptions are VERY organized and efficient. I've never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes in the waiting room whether I was a walk in or had an appointment. When I was working they always worked around my schedule and I was always able to get there early and make it to work in time so that the appointments never really interfered with work. It is such a warm and friendly environment, you never feel stressed coming into the office.
Dr. Meyer and all other nurses and staff were very helpful through every step of the journey. It really felt like he was deeply invested in our care. We always felt as though we got the best information possible in kindest manner. I always felt like more than a patient.
Nurse at Carolina Conceptions were always SO friendly and were just as invested in my care as Dr. Meyer. They always returned calls or emails very promptly. I never had to worry about not having refills on medication in time. All of their nurses are always ten steps ahead!
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Even through multiple treatments Dr. Meyer always made us feel very confident that we could tackle whatever came next. He is very knowledgable and honest and we really appreciated that. Regardless of the procedure or test or treatment he always made sure we understood the process and that I was comfortable. He is very quick to respond when we needed something or just had a question or even just to ease nerves. My husband and I really liked that he is honest and straight forward. We are so sad to leave his care but extremely happy to have been his patient and to have success with his care.
Trust him and know he is always on your side!
I do not remember too much about treatments before we began our FET cycles. However with FET; cycles started with birth control for a couple weeks, then estrogen pills daily, PIO (initially 1ml but then raised to 2 on most recent cycle) for about 5 days before the embryo transfer. The first 2 cycles for us also consisted of a steroid however they changed their protocol and no longer use the steroid. I also took low dose aspirin once I began the PIO. For my most recent round of IVF in addition to the above medications I also took pentoxifyline to help with blood flow/circulation. Attempt 1-3 were all single embryo (pgs tested) transfers (day 5 embryos). The 4th attempt we transferred 2 (pgs) day 5 and day 6 embryos. Both embryos took for a successful cycle. FET 1 - Miscarriage FET 2 - Negative FET 3 - Negative ERA FET 4 - Positive/ Twins
Dr. Meyer strongly recommended only transferring one embryo. After the third treatment, also after having done a cycle for ERA (results indicated we were transferring during the correct window) he gave us the option to transfer two because we hadn't been successful the past two times.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
I would recommend [Carolina Conceptions] a million times over...they have become family. They excel in every area...Everyone has been excellent both last time and this current time! All have been very supportive and amazing... and patient... sooooo patient...The first round of IVF with no insurance help was probably close to 15K... this time around with egg donor and insurance I would say it will be closer to 14K with meds
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
We went to a place prior to this and got lots of medical field insight on other places... I would recommend CC a million times over... they have become family. They excel in every area. I am so thankful we chose to go with them and for the people that highly recommended them to us!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Working in health care I am extremely picky when it comes to how I treat patients and in turn how I am treated as a patient. Bedside manner is extremely important. Dr. Park won my husband over the second we walked in the door(he’s not a huge fan of guy doctors when it comes to female issues)... but from the second we walked in... a good firm hand shake and seeing pictures of football and other interests they had in common, everything just seemed to click. Dr. Park heard our every concern, gently explained all our options... always has and still it very supportive. I have recommended numerous friends to him. Working night shift, I always seem to have questions late night and will email him. He responds right away even at 11pm. Dr. Park did my surgery to remove my tubes. Of course, we were very hesistant but after he explained why this would be the better option, it was a no brainer. And after the surgery and hearing the report, I was so thankful we went through with it. I had no idea how sick my tubes truly were. When our first round of IVF failed, he was so incredibly sympathetic and supportive. A year later when we knew egg donor was our only option, he was very supportive of our decision with this and was excited when I showed him who I wanted off the list! He has stood by us thick and thin and I would highly recommend him to anyone. He is the absolute best. He listens. He truly cares. And although he knows his stuff and is extremely thorough.... the listening and caring part come first because if I don’t feel heard, I cannot trust you to take care of me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Ellie)
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
We love Dr. Park. He is quick to listen and hear out your concern. He treats you like a human and not just a vagina. I can literally not say enough good things about him. He has seen us through thick and thin. Through smiles and excicwment to heartbreak and tears. He called us from his personal phone the day we got the call saying our embryo didn’t make it and we weren’t pregnant. He stood by us and gave us options when we were ready to try again. He was very patient and explained each option thoroughly. He didn’t take any of it lightly. He just seems to get it and understand all the emotions involved with such a hard diagnosis. He truly will do anything to help you get to the ultimate goal of having a baby. We are in the final couple of weeks before transferring our egg donor embryo, so I will definitely update that experience as well!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Be open. Tell him your concerns... don’t hold back. Relax. You’re in good hands.
Describe the protocols John Park used in your cycles at Carolina Conceptions and their degree of success.
We realized my tubes were blocked pretty much instantly. My appendix burst when I was a kid and I had gangrene. It completely destroyed by tubes and ovaries(we didn’t know my ovaries had taken a hit until after retrieval). We stimulated my ovaries with menopur and gonal-f. I had checks every couple of days. We retrieved and when I was noticed thede
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Park at Carolina Conceptions.
2014 - 2018
They are friendly and welcoming. They also have a fantastic reputation and have a well thought out process. It is clean and comfortable, and my favorite thing is that they are not pushy.... I also want to point out that Carolina Conceptions offers education classes on the science behind the treatment. I feel extremely informed and know exactly what is happening with my body.... The nursing staff is always smiling and has made me very comfortable in every interaction.
2014 - 2018
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Again, it's a great place and I feel fortunate to be a patient there. They are friendly and welcoming. They also have a fantastic reputation and have a well thought out process. It is clean and comfortable, and my favorite thing is that they are not pushy.
Dr. Couchman has been wonderful through our journey. From the moment we walk in the office to the moment we leave, we feel special and important. The administrators know us and ask about our personal lives, the nurses are involved in our process, and Dr. Couchman has been patient with us as we have made tough decisions. Dr. Couchman also championed our successes and was comforting in times of heartache. I feel lucky to have landed with such an incredible treatment center.
They are awesome! The nursing staff is always smiling and has made me very comfortable in every interaction.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman is a phenomenal doctor. She is attentive, compassionate, confident in the work she does, and has instilled confidence and reassurance in me and my husband every step of the way. She has never once been pushy about a treatment and has been patient with us as we have arrived at IVF in our own time. It is clear that it is important that her patients understand all procedures and options. She has also taught me the best diet and exercise program given that I have PCOS. I don't think I have anything negative to say about Dr. Couchman; I would recommend anyone in my situation to go to her.
Even with an amazing doctor, it is a tough journey to go through. Trust Dr. Couchman, she will steer you down the right path.
My OBGYN recommended me to Grace Couchman after a few rounds of treatment that were unsuccessful. When I met with Dr. Couchman she went through all of my records and immediately asked me to do a lifestyle change of eating low carb and no sugar because of my PCOS. She then went through all the possible treatments we could try and what will work best for our situation. We tried a combination of oral meds and injections with intercourse. Our next option was IUI, but Dr. Couchman recommended we do IVF because the chances of pregnancy would be much better. We waited until we were ready and discussed it several times with Dr. Couchman until we were ready. It took my husband and me a while to get there. We just finished our retrieval and everything is going extremely well. We are looking forward to the next two months as we move into our preparation for our frozen transfer. I also want to point out that Carolina Conceptions offers education classes on the science behind the treatment. I feel extremely informed and know exactly what is happening with my body.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions.
15,000 for IVF, 4,000 for meds, 1,050 for genetic testing, 475 annually to keep frozen embryos
Carolina Conceptions has a strict approach on eSET. There are several criteria that are required in order to qualify for a 2 embryo transfer. Again, they are very thorough in explaining why they do this.
IUI, 1 IVF
I have nothing but positive things to say about this clinic. I am very thankful to be going through this process with Dr Park and the staff at Carolina Conceptions. They were very knowledgeable, compassionate, helpful, and patient when I asked my many questions.... I did my monitoring visits at my local OBGYN. Carolina Conceptions did an awesome job working with my local OBGYN.... The IVF cost was broken down into monitoring visits, baseline ultrasound, monitoring fees
IUI, 1 IVF
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Dr Park was very patient with me as I asked all of my questions. He made me feel more comfortable with the whole process from the moment we shook hands. He was very punctual in his responses and even called me one night to check on me after a particularly taxing day. He has made this whole experience less stressful and I am thankful to have him as my doctor.
They were all extremely nice and were very helpful.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
I can’t say enough great things about Dr Park. He is very knowledgeable, compassionate, and has been wonderful to work with. He has made this tough situation a lot more pleasant. He went out of his way to make my husband and I more comfortable with everything going on and make sure that we knew all the steps that we were fixing to take.
Don’t hesitate to ask all your questions.
The first step for us was to be on birth control for at least two weeks. We went in for the shot class and we were able to start our cycle of the three days later. It started with Menopur and Gonal shots. I went in for maintenance appointments that included lab work and ultrasounds. We had to adjust my Gonal dosage because my follicles were not progressing the way that they wanted them to. After increasing my dosage my follicles looked great. Unfortunately, my progesterone level was too high at that point so my cycle was canceled after the egg retrieval. I am currently in the frozen embryo transfer cycle and will hopefully have the transfer in the next couple of days.
I don’t live in the Raleigh area and have to commute for the “big appointments “. I did my monitoring visits at my local OBGYN. Carolina Conceptions did an awesome job working with my local OBGYN.
The IVF cost was broken down into monitoring visits, baseline ultrasound, monitoring fees (especially if you’re using your local OBGYN instead), medications, etc.
Describe John Park's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolina Conceptions.
Dr Park strongly suggests only transferring 1 embryo. His reasoning is due to the major risks associated with multiples. He also stated that if a woman has health issues, above the age of 35, and/or failed IVF cycles they will transfer more than 1 embryo.
Raleigh
From the minute you walk in they [Carolina Conceptions] greet you with a smile offer you a drink and snack if you would like and ease your worries. The kindness was so nice. This is a scary time and to be treated with compassion and even hugs was so helpful to me.... They gave me a very detailed break down of possible up coming costs and would attempt to have insurance pay for anything they could. They allow payments also for some things and are reasonable also.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I have been to another clinic which was cold and very business like. Carolina Conceptions is nothing like that. From the minute you walk in they greet you with a smile offer you a drink and snack if you would like and ease your worries. The kindness was so nice. This is a scary time and to be treated with compassion and even hugs was so helpful to me.
I previously had been going to another infertility office and they made me feel like a number there. When I went to Dr Park I was at ease. He not only set a plan in place for us but also took the time to explain every test and every single result from the last 2 yrs. He was so kind and caring he didn’t rush he actually cares and I could tell.
From the front desk to the nurse the kindness and compassion was from when I walked in the door. They knew I was scared and nervous and they completely eased that.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
I was very nervous mostly because of my age when I went for my appt. Dr. Park got that and put me at ease. He didn’t sugar coat anything explained every single test to me as well as those we have had the last 2 yrs including my results. We put a plan in place depending on results we received with my blood work. He was very factual but caring at the same time. Even though I am a nurse I am not an expert in this area and he explained it so I truly got it! All the confusion I have had in the last 2 yrs was gone after my appointment with him.
Ask him anything you will never be a number with Dr. Park. He does not present with the I am a Dr complex he will tell you the truth absolutely.
We began with reviewing my past tests and my spouses also. He fully explained all the results to me so I got it fully. Then we put a plan in place. Thankfully my AMH has some how gone up so now we will be doing an HSG to make sure I have patent tubes. If this is all ok then we will do injections with IUI. He told me about clomid and that we will not be using that and why. If tubes are blocked bilaterally only option will be IVF. I am fully aware of all angles and realize that if this is the case a baby will most likely not happen as we can not afford it. I did not leave with a false sense of hope just 100% knowledge which honestly was refreshing for myself and my husband.
My insurance paid for the first visit and lab work I just had a copay. They gave me a very detailed break down of possible up coming costs and would attempt to have insurance pay for anything they could. They allow payments also for some things and are reasonable also.
None as we have not discussed this
Raleigh
I think this is a very welcoming clinic. The office manager [Carolina Conceptions] is great at what she does and is so upbeat you can't help but feel good things will happen. Going through this process is very uncomfortable, but I do think the staff understands that and does what they can to put you at ease.... I think the cost of the IUI was around $800 including all fees. This was including remote monitoring fee, the procedure itself, and medication. We have been quoted around $10,000 for IVF plus the separate cost of medications. This is included a $2000 discount for being a registered nurse.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I think this is a very welcoming clinic. The office manager is great at what she does and is so upbeat you can't help but feel good things will happen. Going through this process is very uncomfortable, but I do think the staff understands that and does what they can to put you at ease.
Dr. Park always reviews my chart prior to seeing him so during our conversations he is completely current with what is happening and does not need to reference his notes while talking to me. Anytime I have emailed him with questions he calls me back instead of emails and offers detailed answers. He has never made me feel like there was a stupid question to ask.
I have not had much experience as of yet with the nursing staff. I think I will have a lot of time to get to know them during the IVF process. For the IUI procedure, I think it was a medical assistant that assisted the doctor.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
I have been very impressed with the encounters I have had with Dr. Park. He was the second reproductive endocrinologist we met with. Immediately he surprised me with how blunt he was with statistics and information. I was stunned when I found out the statistics of success for previous cycles and treatments we had done with another doctor. The blunt delivery of information was new to me, but I realized that I really need information put like that in order to make the best treatment decisions. My husband and I are about to start IVF and we would've never been able to make this decision with ease without knowing the straight forward facts and statistics that Dr. Park provided.
I would recommend going to each appointment with a list of specific questions and a pen and paper. He gives such detailed answers and it is easy to think you will remember all this information later, but it is nearly impossible. I took notes with all of my conversations with him and it helped a lot. I always felt very informed and capable of making a good treatment decision after speaking with him.
I am about to start IVF treatment with Dr. Park, so I can't yet speak on that protocol. However, I did complete an IUI treatment with him. I was on Letrozole for 5 days, days 3-7, and had a total of 2 ultrasounds. One was a baseline ultrasound and the other was on day 12. I was then told to inject with Ovidrel on day 14 and went in for the IUI on day 16. Unfortunately this was an unsuccessful procedure, but I was prepared for this news because Dr. Park had told us the chance of success was only 10%.
I know for our situation, unexplained infertility, Dr. Park is firm on transferring one embryo. He may be open to transferring multiple embryos if we pushed for it, but we have not done so as we do not want the additional risks.
Raleigh
I wish a patient portal was an option. The answering system [Carolina Conceptions] when you call is truly ridiculous. You have to listen to an exhaustive number of extension possibilities before you get to the general number at the end. It would be so helpful to be able to send questions or concerns via a secure portal.... I only really remember the one nurse (and maybe she had a different title) that performed my initial ultrasound for IUI. She was very nice and talked me through what we were looking at on the screen.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I wish a patient portal was an option. The answering system when you call is truly ridiculous. You have to listen to an exhaustive number of extension possibilities before you get to the general number at the end. It would be so helpful to be able to send questions or concerns via a secure portal. Most of my other doctors' have them. Otherwise, the rest of the clinic and the staff is fine. Kelly in Finance has been very helpful when I've had questions about what my insurance would cover.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
When I met with Dr. Bowling in person, she was very thorough and kind. She gave me her email address to communicate with her and we had a good back and forth for a while. Eventually, her responses were very delayed and sometimes she wouldn't answer at all. The Carolina Conceptions answering system is very long, with a myriad of extensions to reach various people, but connecting directly with my doctor was important to me. Sometimes, a follow-up email will remind her to answer my questions, but overall, I miss the correspondence we had when I was her new patient.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
After I scheduled my IUI last fall, I never saw Dr. Bowling. We set up the plan via email and I called the first day of my period to initiate ultrasound appointments. A nurse did my first ultrasound, another RE did my second, and yet another RE performed my IUI. I was disappointed that Dr. Bowling didn't seem to be involved in my care at all, but I'm fairly new to this world and wasn't sure what to expect. Going forward, I hope to work with her more closely on my personal care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Be clear on the best way to reach her/communicate care options with her.
Describe the protocols Meaghan Bowling used in your cycles at Carolina Conceptions and their degree of success.
I took oral letrozole for 5 days before using the trigger shot at home. I had 2 ultrasounds (one with a nurse, one with another RE) and the IUI was performed by a third RE. This RE said with my husband's SA numbers at the time, we shouldn't have scheduled this procedure at all.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions.
Between the 2 medications and the ultrasounds/IUI procedure, my IUI cost around $1,700.
Describe Meaghan Bowling's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolina Conceptions.
Raleigh
Knowledgeable staff [at Carolina Conceptions] with top of the line technology and procedures. Money back guarantee on IVF (certain requirements must be met) Main clinic is in a great location... Reaching the clinic via phone is at times impossible, especially if you have a specific extension that you’ve been transferred to, they prefer email. Bedside manner is not as impressive as I think fertility patients desire. Blunt with opinions, news etc.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
We’ll start with weaknesses. Reaching the clinic via phone is at times impossible, especially if you have a specific extension that you’ve been transferred to, they prefer email. Bedside manner is not as impressive as I think fertility patients desire. Blunt with opinions, news etc. Strengths. Knowledgeable staff with top of the line technology and procedures. Money back guarantee on IVF (certain requirements must be met) Main clinic is in a great location.
It is impossible to get in contact with someone is phone. Typically I play phone tag 3 or 4 times before speaking with the person I am trying to reach. The clinic would much rather email and I think that’s very inappropriate as detail is so important in the fertility world.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions.
The staff is different to contact as I stated previously. Once in contact I did feel that I got the answers I needed.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman is to the point and somewhat blunt. Dr.Couchman isn’t the most warm and welcoming however her experience and education are outstanding. Dr.Couchman seems to stay on top of modern treatments and seems to have high success rates.
I would like future patients to go into the appointment with the understudy Dr.Couchman is a professional at this and though her bedside manner isn’t as warm and fuzzy as you may desire, she is telling you truthful facts and giving you top of the line care.
Letroze 2.5 mg days 3-7 Follistim Aq 900 days 8-12 Ovidrel 250 for trigger Ganitelix as instructed Progesterone suppositories 4 days following Ovidrel for 16 days.
I wish I could remember the costs better. I feel that we paid around $250.00 for monitoring transvaginal ultrasounds. A consultation appointment may be around that as well. My husband is a State Trooper and the clinic does offer a great IVF discount for Law Enforcement officers, military, nurses and others I do believe.
Based on articles provided by Dr.Couchmans clinic I feel they lean towards single embryo transfer as they see it has no significant difference in success rates, they feel it’s equally effective as multiple.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
This clinic [Carolina Conceptions] has great morning hours, they are good at returning phone calls and always seem eager to help you in any way they can. I do wish they stayed open a little later for after work appointments. The clinic is clean and welcoming. The clinic is a little hard to get to, and traffic here in the morning can be a nightmare.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
This clinic has great morning hours, they are good at returning phone calls and always seem eager to help you in any way they can. I do wish they stayed open a little later for after work appointments. The clinic is clean and welcoming. The clinic is a little hard to get to, and traffic here in the morning can be a nightmare.
Dr. Meyer was polite, professional and helpful. He made me feel like my concerns were valid, and he explained things very well. I didn't feel rushed in my initial consultation with him.
My nurses seemed knowledgeable and made me feel comfortable. They were quick, efficient and gentle.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Meyer was attentive, calming and made me feel like my concerns and worries were valid. He was good at making me feel comfortable and not awkward. I am only on my second cycle with him but I am very happy so far. I hope he is a little more aggressive this cycle since my last Follistim cycle resulted in a negative.
I would say to a new patient, don't be afraid to ask questions and take your time during your appointments.
My first cycle included 150 iu follistim days 3-8, then one day cetrotide, and then ovidrel to trigger on cd 10. My AMH is one, I had about 5 follicles between 13-15 when they told me to take ovidrel. I feel I was told to trigger too early but they said my follicles were mature enough and they were worried that if I waited another day to trigger that I could have a multiple pregnancy.
My medications for my first injectables cycle cost $1452.18 plus the copays for each monitoring ultrasound.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
They [Carolina Conceptions] are excellent at working you in to an appointment. If you need to be seen that morning they allow you to walk in. I like that they have appointments starting as early as 7:30 so that you can still get to work at a reasonable time. The financial staff is super helpful in figuring out the cost of procedures and medicine based on your insurance.... My surgery was $1,700. The scans will now be $250 each with 2-3 per cycle.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
They are excellent at working you in to an appointment. If you need to be seen that morning they allow you to walk in. I like that they have appointments starting as early as 7:30 so that you can still get to work at a reasonable time. The financial staff is super helpful in figuring out the cost of procedures and medicine based on your insurance.
They are always very friendly and calming. They talk to you to try to get to know you.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Meghan thinks before she speaks on giving advice. She took the time to look over bloodwork and ultrasounds before advising next steps. Dr. Bowling has a positive attitude and has helped uncover a handful of diagnosis that are contributing to infertility.
Sometimes she doesn't have all of the answers because there are so many factors that go into getting and staying pregnant when you have infertility issues.
We began with a saline sonogram to make sure my D&C was complete. In this procedure I learned I had endometriosis and some pretty large cysts. Next, we decided to start with follicle monitoring while on clomid and taking a trigger shot. I took progesterone suppositories after the trigger. We did timed intercourse. The clomid was the help boost my ovaries since my AMH was slightly low. The progesterone was given due to my mid cycle spotting and prior miscarriage. The first cycle I responded, the second I didn't. Since I didn't respond the second time surgery to remove the endo was recommended and completed. More bloodwork was completed to check AMH which rose to normal levels and thyroid which showed positive antibodies. This is linked to recurrent miscarriages, so I am on synthroid to combat that.
The drugs were $180 a month and the follicle scans were covered for the first 3 cycles. My surgery was $1,700. The scans will now be $250 each with 2-3 per cycle.
PCOS, Unexplained
Everyone is so friendly at Carolina Conceptions. From the front desk, to the doctors, lab staff, and the nurses, I always feel comfortable. I never feel like a number there. It is very clean office. I have not had a bad experience at CC.... The nurses at Carolina Conception are super friendly and make you feel very comfortable during ultrasounds and/or procedures. I don't have anything bad to say about the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Dr. Bowling is very warm and kind when you speak to her at each appointment. She really seems like she cares and wants to answer my questions to the best of her ability. When I miscarried, I could tell she really was sympathetic to what i was going through.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Bowling is always very kind and approachable when I have face-to-face appointments with her. She answers all of my questions. I feel comfortable even asking the silly questions. I always have a lot of questions! The only complaint I would have would be her timeliness answering emails. I know she is probably very busy with other patients so I hate to even bring this up. Sometimes she answers emails in an appropriate amount of time but other times it may take a few days before she answers.
Make sure to have all your questions ready before your appointment. Ask follow up questions to make sure you fully understand the process of a procedure/treatment.
I was on 1500mg/day of Metformin for all treatment cycles. My first two cycles with Dr. Bowling, I took 5mg of Letrozole on days 3-7 with timed intercourse. I did not fall pregnant with either Letrozole cycle. My third treatment - I took 5 mg of letrozole on days 3-7 and added Gonal-F (150 IU) on days 7-9 with timed intercourse. I chose to do this unmonitored to save money. I did not fall pregnant this cycle. IUI #1 - I took 5 mg of letrozole on days 3-7 and Gonal-F (150 IU) on days 7-9. I was monitored. I went in for a baseline ultrasound and and ultrasound on day 10. I had three mature follicles and triggered with Ovidrel. My IUI was done 36 hours after the trigger shot was taken. My husband gave his sample the day of the IUI. I did fall pregnant this cycle but it unfortunately ended in a chemical pregnancy. For IUI #2&3 I did the same treatment as IUI #1 but unfortunately I have not get pregnant.
My insurance did not cover any fertility expenses other than the consultation but I have a high deductible plan so I still had to pay $177 for my visit. Each ultrasound is about $250. Each IUI is about $400. Plus medication which ranged from $800-$1,200.
Dr. Bowling said she would only transfer one embryo because I was under 35 years old.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Other
All the nurses [at Carolina Conceptions] were nice and explained each step of the procedures we completed prior to them starting...We paid out-of-pocket for all of our visits and procedures but they offered a discount. The HSG was originally $850 but we paid $537, semen analysis (including strict morphology) was originally $227 but we paid $83, and initial lab workup was $330 with the follow-up test around $60. Medications were approximately $50 total.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinical was able to get us set up with our initial appointment pretty close to the day we called. Parking and accessing the clinic building/floor were easy and the front desk staff were very nice and friendly. While the waiting room decor was bland, there were plenty of seats that were comfortable. Our insurance didn't cover anything during our visits but we were always made aware of what the "out of pocket" price was for each procedure prior to starting.
Dr. Bowling was informative and explained everything at a level that we understood. She replied promptly to any questions we had and was accessible via phone or email.
All the nurses were nice and explained each step of the procedures we completed prior to them starting.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Visiting Dr. Bowling finally answered a lot of the questions we had about why we were unable to get pregnant after trying for nine months. Unfortunately, a key hormone level came back elevated after two blood tests and I was told IVF was our only option but that donor eggs were the only solution. After a bit of research, I came across many women who were in a similar situation that were allowed to try with their own eggs and some were successful. After bringing this up to Dr. Bowling, she pushed again for donor eggs which I assumed (correctly or incorrectly, I'm not sure) that she and her facility were not willing to let me try with my own eggs at least one cycle. This is why my recommendation for her is low and why I have moved on to another facility.
If you feel uncomfortable about any abnormal lab result, speak up. I was told initially about my elevated hormone level after the first draw but she said it wasn't anything to worry about at that time. Turns out it was and if I had known that then, I would've made more of an effort to get the repeat labs drawn sooner.
Unfortunately, the timing of our initial visit was just prior to a busy time in our lives where we would be separated for about two and a half months. So there wasn't much Dr. Bowling could do. She did prescribe letrazole to help with ovulation, methlyprogesterone to help start a period for the cycles that dragged on for over 40 days, and levothyroxine to lower my TSH. After reuniting, we used letrazole in a TI cycle but were unsuccessful. During all of this, I was finally able to get a repeat lab drawn and that's when we were told of my elevated hormone level and its effect on our chances of conceiving. Dr. Bowling then prescribed estrogen patches and progesterone pills to help create a more frequent cycle while we decided if we wanted to proceed with IVF and donor eggs (her only solution the situation). However, at the recommendation of another fertility physician, I did not start this treatment protocol.
We did not complete IVF at this facility.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
They [nurses at Carolina Conceptions] are all very friendly and professional...To see the doctor I sometimes had to wait for a convenient appointment. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for appointments. This clinic is open on weekends which is huge, as timing is so important for fertility treatment...It's a large, bright atmosphere. The front desk team are wonderful, and seemed genuinely excited for me when I finally got pregnant. I was always able to choose my monitoring visits at a time convenient for me.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
It's a large, bright atmosphere. The front desk team are wonderful, and seemed genuinely excited for me when I finally got pregnant. I was always able to choose my monitoring visits at a time convenient for me. To see the doctor I sometimes had to wait for a convenient appointment. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for appointments. This clinic is open on weekends which is huge, as timing is so important for fertility treatment.
Dr. Meyer seemed to know who I was, and my history every time we met. I emailed him many times in the evening, and at weekends, and every time he replied promptly.
They are all very friendly and professional.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Meyer was very straightforward with us, giving us lots of options and explaining the chances of success which each one. He didn't pressurize us, and when my husband wanted to pursue treatment that wasn't Dr. Meyer's first choice, he respected our decision and went with it, simply reminding us how it would affect our chances of conception. Dr. Meyer replied to email promptly and at all times of the day or night. I did feel like at times I had to be a bit of a case manager, asking what to do next to continue the process, but as long as I continued to be proactive this wasn't a problem. In the end I got pregnant naturally (though thanks to a surgery Dr. Meyer performed), and I felt that Dr. Meyer was genuinely delighted for us even though it probably didn't contribute to the clinic's success rate statistics.
Always email if you have a question.
3 x IUIs with letrozole and ovidril (final 1 also used tamoxifen) a hysteroscopic polypectomy following an HSG 1 x TIC using follistim, cetrotide and ovidril Then I got pregnant naturally when we had to skip a cycle due to being on vacation, but having tried to conceive naturally for over 4 years, I am sure my pregnancy wouldn't have happened without the polypectomy.
around $5000 including the surgery and medications after insurance
Raleigh
This clinic [Carolina Conceptions] works with you no matter your schedule. They are understanding, compassionate and patient. They become like family to you and can recall your face and name at every visit. They become very involved in your care (your excitement, your disappointment, your concerns overall) and make you feel like you’re not alone.... IUI was $480 Ultrasounds out of pocket were $250 The actual IVF cost from the clinic was $10,215
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
This clinic works with you no matter your schedule. They are understanding, compassionate and patient. They become like family to you and can recall your face and name at every visit. They become very involved in your care (your excitement, your disappointment, your concerns overall) and make you feel like you’re not alone. They tell you how much they’ve been thinking of you, lift you up at times you feel discouraged and make you feel there’s no better place to be. These men and women truly love their professions and give 110% to their patients at all costs. They never make you feel uncertain, confused, left without answers or questioning your care. They truly work around your schedule to best meet your needs and are extremely flexibile.
This practice exceeded our expectations. Our time has always been valued, we have never felt rushed or left with questions following an appointment. These physicians truly care about their patients and their desire to start a family.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Terri Hunter)
All the nursing staff exceeded my expectations, especially Mrs. Hunter. She is phenomenal. I can’t say enough good things about her. She will drop whatever she is doing to make a phone call to you when you have questions that seem immediate to you.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Park is compassionate and caring. He is everything we ever wanted in a fertility doctor to help us along this journey. His bed side manner is outstanding and he made adjustments to our plan of care as needed, with full descriptions and knowledge provided before moving forward. On a Tuesday this past January, our cycle consisted of very low dose Gonal F injections to create 2-3 eggs with a higher chance of IUI working. My body responded “too well” to the meds and during my scan, it was revealed that I had 10 resting follicles. Dr. Park was extremely empathetic and suggested cancelling the cycle, due to the high risk of multiples, however, also suggested converting to IVF. He mentioned that when a patient goes through injections for an egg retrieval, their goal is to have 10-15 eggs. My body had done just that with an extremely small dose of medicine. He explained how much we would also be saving, not having to spend the $4,000 to $8,000 on injections to create this number of eggs. For the short moment we were devastated to have a canceled cycle, we were enthralled at the opportunity of IVF. Within 18 hours of deciding which route to go, and collecting every penny we could scratch, we converted to IVF! Dr. Park was even surprised that we were so quick and spontaneous to go through with such a huge decision, though we had already contemplated this route for the future. My egg retrieval was scheduled for that Friday, and a 5 day fresh transfer was scheduled the following Wednesday. Dr. Grace Couchman conducted the egg retrieval and transfer and she was so wonderful and sweet! Just 9 days later, we had our first beta test revealing the number 240! And just 3 days later, another beta at 793! We could not believe it! We had our first ultrasound on February 27 where we saw the heartbeat of our miracle baby, who was measuring 2 days ahead! We were 6 weeks, 6 days at the time. Today, March 9, we have our second OB appointment with Dr. Park at 8 weeks, 2 days. He mentioned the possibility to be “discharged” from their care and to stop all mediciations including progesterone injections if everything looks good! I cannot imagine going down this road with any other practice or physician. We have 4 frozen miracles that await for our future. Until then, our miracle baby inside continues to grow and be strong! We can’t ever repay Dr. Park and his team for what they have given us; everything we could ever want in this crazy, beautiful life...a child from above and a family!!
Look no further. This is your practice and physician. You will be highly pleased and satisfied with the A+ care you will receive!
September 2017- letrozole days 3-7, ovidrel and timed intercourse. Resulted in a negative pregnancy test. October 2017- letrozole days 3-7, ovidrel and timed intercourse. Resulted in a negative pregnancy test. November 2017- letrozole days 3-7, ovidrel and timed intercourse. Resulted in a negative pregnancy test. December 2017- letrozole days 3-7, ovidrel and IUI (54 million swimmers). Resulted in a negative pregnancy test. January 2018- letrozole days 3-7, golal f 150 days 7, 8, 9, scan showed no activity continued for days 10, 11, 12, scan showed too many eggs, took cetritide to stall ovulation and another dose of gonal f 150 (this being day 13). Day 14 nothing. Day 15 egg retrieval. Day 20: 5 day embryo transfer. POSITIVE PREGNANCY TESTS 6 days after transfer, beta tests on day 9: 240 and day 12: 793!
This clinic provides ultrasound monitoring appointments between 7:30AM and 11:30AM. However, they have an exception for teachers and a few other professions where it may be more difficult to take off the morning from work. Their consultations are in the afternoon until 4:00PM, but every ultrasound I have had has been in the afternoon. They have worked around my schedule for EVERY appointment I have ever had and I am forever thankful and blessed!
Carolina Conceptions wants to reduce the risk of multiples, especially in my case where I had a high possibility of 1 embryo taking. I believe if you’re over the age of 30, they will transfer up to 2 embryos, as your chances of success decrease with age.
Raleigh
Strengths: the clinic [Carolina Conceptions] was very large and it was not difficult to find people in my community who had success with them. The doctors were all very experienced and had been in the RE field for many years. The clinic did it's best to bill insurance for procedures when possible. The staff seems to remember you, which is nice especially for such a large clinic. Weaknesses: The clinic is very large and it can feel chaotic when you go into a packed waiting room. The finances were laid out for us but there was a discrepancy which we ultimately had to pay for.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Strengths: the clinic was very large and it was not difficult to find people in my community who had success with them. The doctors were all very experienced and had been in the RE field for many years. The clinic did it's best to bill insurance for procedures when possible. The staff seems to remember you, which is nice especially for such a large clinic. Weaknesses: The clinic is very large and it can feel chaotic when you go into a packed waiting room. The finances were laid out for us but there was a discrepancy which we ultimately had to pay for.
Dr. Meyer gave me his email and encouraged me to write him with any questions or concerns. He answered my emails promptly- sometimes at night or on weekends. He remembered details about my family which made me feel that he listened and cared about me as a person. He also set my expectations kind of low which prepared me for the worst while hoping for the best. He made me feel confidence in his honesty.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions.
My nurse was available for the most part, except for once when she was out on vacation. I think that I was spoiled by Dr. Meyer responding to me day and night, and maybe expected too much from her in this instance. She was extremely kind and took time to explain the processes I was going through.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
I felt like I was treated not only as a human but as a valued patient. I came to him after several unsuccessful cycles of medication and IUI. I was really interviewing several clinics because I wanted to be confident in my choice if I was going to be spending so much on IVF. Dr. Meyer listened to my questions and concerns and did not have a "god complex" like some of the other doctors I spoke with. He laid out options for me and made me feel confident in how he would care for me and my embryos.
Prepare your questions in advance. You will get a lot of information in each session and you may forget to ask unless you prepare.
I had an egg retrieval first. During the time that I was preparing for egg retrieval I was injecting myself with some kind of medication, plus taking estrogen, a thyroid medication, and then the trigger shot. Prior to the trigger shot I went in for ultrasounds and blood work quite a bit. I had the egg retrieval, and because I was going to do PGS, I did not continue with hormones because we were going to freeze the eggs (the genetic testing was done in Chicago so the blasts had to be frozen in order to get the testing back first). During egg retrieval they saw a polyp, so I also had to get that removed before I could transfer. To prepare for transfer, I started with birth control, then did baseline bloodwork and a saline u/s. I started injections of progesterone, taking a baby aspirin, and was still taking thyroid medicine. I had the transfer and continued aspirin, thyroid medicine and progesterone. After the pregnancy was confirmed I continued these meds, but due to spotting d/c'ed the aspirin after 6 weeks gestation. Everything went well and we have a baby girl, and are looking forward to our next transfer.
I participated in a program where I paid for three IVF cycles up front (medication, scans not included) and if I did not bring home a baby from the hospital after all cycles I would get that money refunded. I ended up paying roughly 29,000 for three cycles, plus the cost of medication, PGS, and monitoring at a clinic near me (I live in Asheville and CC does not have an office nearby).
Dr. Meyer explained the risk of transferring two embryos and the chance that those embryos could divide and result in even more babies. He explained the risk of a multiple pregnancy to both myself and the babies.
Raleigh
The clinic [Carolina Conceptions] is bright and clean, with a large waiting area and easy parking - most days. Monitoring appointments will make your head spin with how fast you are pushed though the system, but I waited almost 2 hours the day of my IUI.... I did not find the nurses to be very helpful or compassionate at my monitoring visits. I often felt rushed and instead of talking to me in the patient rooms, they would hurriedly spew all sorts of medical information at me in the hallway on my pay to check out thereby leaving me no time to write anything down and violating all sorts of HIPPA laws about patient privacy.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic is bright and clean, with a large waiting area and easy parking - most days. Monitoring appointments will make your head spin with how fast you are pushed though the system, but I waited almost 2 hours the day of my IUI. Dr. Park sets up realistic plans for patients, but sometimes he is hard to reach for follow-up questions. Some of the front desk staff are rude and impersonal, while others will bend over backwards to help you out.
Dr. Park takes his time when he meets with his patients 1-on-1 and during a procedure, but the monitoring visits were very rushed and I often felt like I was being pushed out the door.
I did not find the nurses to be very helpful or compassionate at my monitoring visits. I often felt rushed and instead of talking to me in the patient rooms, they would hurriedly spew all sorts of medical information at me in the hallway on my pay to check out thereby leaving me no time to write anything down and violating all sorts of HIPPA laws about patient privacy. They were very cavalier about the whole process.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Park takes his time to answer questions and has a good bed side manner. He is kind and patient, but it is easier to connect with him over the phone than over email. He is upfront about his expectations and while he has a nice way of delivering bad news.
Make sure that you are responding to emails. After my 2 week wait, I had a negative pregnancy test and a lot of questions. He didn't respond to my email for over a week. I was in a really vulnerable place and felt let down and neglected when he didn't return my message in a timely manner.
We used Gonal F and Menopur to stimulate my ovaries. Given my age and DOR, Dr. Park was flexible with the course of action; if I had more than 4 follicles grow, we would proceed with IVF, less than 4, we would do an IUI. I only had 1 follicle grow, so we went ahead with an IUI.
$250-300 self-pay for monitoring visit for IUI.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
The clinic [Carolina Conceptions] can be very unorganized. There was trouble with my paperwork in the beginning leading to a misunderstanding about my treatment protocol.... I also applied for the refund program and my application was lost. I was told the day before my treatment was to start that I was not approved for the refund program.... The nursing staff were not as compassionate as I would have liked. There was one nurse who was very cold, and would not even return to the room when I had questions during one visit.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic can be very unorganized. There was trouble with my paperwork in the beginning leading to a misunderstanding about my treatment protocol. When I called to make appointments, they weren't sure what type of appointment I needed. I also applied for the refund program and my application was lost. I was told the day before my treatment was to start that I was not approved for the refund program. This lead to having to rethink our financial situation at the last minute. There is already so much stress related to infertility and treatments that having the additional financial related stress is just too much when it can be, and should be avoided.
I felt more like a number than a human because I only saw Dr. Couchman twice during my treatment at the clinic. I was constantly seeing different doctors and nurses, and never felt any compassion from any of them.
The nursing staff were not as compassionate as I would have liked. There was one nurse who was very cold, and would not even return to the room when I had questions during one visit. She had the financial coordinator deliver the answers to me. I was already an emotional wreck, and not being given the time to answer a simple question just made things worse. The nurses would always return phone calls, and call in medications timely, however, you never knew what nurse you were going to get.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
I did not feel that Dr. Couchman was compassionate, and did not feel that she was interested in or had time to answer my questions, or consider any alternatives other than the course she thought was best for us. I was very disappointed that I only saw Dr. Couchman twice during our entire course of treatments at the clinic. The first was during our initial consultation and the other was when my body was not responding to the medications, and she just happened to be in the office and the nurse called her into my room to discuss.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, and demand that you be heard. Don't settle for only one option.
I used Follistim, Menopur, and a growth harmone for my first IVF cycle. My body did not respond to the medication well. Dr. Couchman readjusted the dosages of the same medication for my second IVF cycle. The outcome was a bit better, and I had 3 mature eggs at retrieval. Of the three, none made it to day 5.
$15,125 IVF package with PSG testing $480 IUI procedure
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The reception staff and finance staff [at Carolina Conceptions] were top notch. Some of the doctors, such as Meyer and Park were a much better, organized, blunt but with good bedside manner fit for the practice. Our primary doctor was not the best fit for my husband and myself.... Some nurses we saw were wonderful. They were friendly, compassionate, understanding, and were patient with any questions we had. Some nurses seemed busy, rushed, not compassionate.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The reception staff and finance staff were top notch. Some of the doctors, such as Meyer and Park were a much better, organized, blunt but with good bedside manner fit for the practice. Our primary doctor was not the best fit for my husband and myself.
When I went in for most visits, the receptionists knew me by name and exactly why I was there, but Dr. Couchman always has to ask me why I was in instead of checking my chart ahead of time. One time, she even took my husband and I back to her office for a consultation when we were actually there for a follicle scan. When we let her know, she apologized and made us wait in the waiting room for a room to come available.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
We were just another number and when things didn’t work out with our first IVf cycle she just gave up on us and said we needed to do egg donor. She didn’t adjust treatment protocol to try something else the second round. It was like she just gave up and pushed us to the side.
Be your own advocate.
We did birth control pills for 2 weeks. Then we began Follistim injections along with Menopur. When we had a good number of mature follicles, we started Ganirelix injections until our Ovidrel trigger shot. They retrieved 10 eggs, 8 were mature, all 8 fertilized (4 normal fertilization and 4 abnormal fertilization), no embryos made it to day 5 transfer, so our cycle was canceled.
Our entire IVF cycle cost around $20,000.
No comments because we had zero embryos to transfer.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
I primarily only worked with the front office staff [Carolina Conceptions] and the lab, but they were all so friendly, prompt, empathetic, and compassionate.... I never had trouble getting in for appointments. One appointment, the most important one (IUI day), I had to wait a long time and I was livid! I felt like we missed the opportunity. However, it worked, so... All other times I never waited. Their billing department was easy to reach and prompt with getting information on cost.
European, Other
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I never had trouble getting in for appointments. One appointment, the most important one (IUI day), I had to wait a long time and I was livid! I felt like we missed the opportunity. However, it worked, so... All other times I never waited. Their billing department was easy to reach and prompt with getting information on cost. I think this clinic has a high price tag but in my opinion worth it.
I felt like he adjusted his language according to my understanding and research. He was blunt but delicate enough. He didn’t seem to remember details that I would have expected another primary doctor to remember, so in that sense more of a “number”. He was very encouraging that we would have success, and we did. However, we had success without going the route he thought we would need to go. Mostly I just felt comfortable there, and that was important.
I primarily only worked with the front office staff and the lab, but they were all so friendly, prompt, empathetic, and compassionate. This was the main reason I loved this clinic. I felt so comfortable for every visit.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
As mentioned, he was thorough and used language that I understood. He was encouraging, but not in a way that I felt was sugarcoating. He was prompt with responding to calls and emails outside of our appointments, and agreed to do my IUI with very little notice when I had a last minute change in plans. Literally emailed the night before. We had success on the first try, which probably skews my experience, but I would recommend him for sure.
I’m not sure how thorough he would be if you didn’t come in with questions and had done some research, so, do that. Come prepared.
With my first few visits, it was due to unexplained miscarriages. We did several tests and work ups, but found nothing, and I ended up getting pregnant with a successful love birth before we tried what he suggested (ivf with pgd). The second time we went, we were going due to low sperm counts post chemotherapy for my husband. We had banked sperm pre-chemo. He was relatively sure we would need to do IVF, but last minute we decided to do an IUI with a trigger shot only, and that was successful and led to a live birth.
Insurance covered nearly all costs.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Overall, I would describe Carolina Conceptions as great! They are very personable and provide you with the most current research. I would just explain to any new patient to go into this process with a level head and realize the reality that you might or might not receive a positive outcome. ... The only issue I had at the clinic was with insurance information. We are an active duty military family, so therefore we have Tricare insurance. Carolina Conceptions did not have up to date insurance information that reflected what Tricare provided.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Overall, I would describe Carolina Conceptions as great! They are very personable and provide you with the most current research. I would just explain to any new patient to go into this process with a level head and realize the reality that you might or might not receive a positive outcome. You have to bring your most positive self into the situation and Carolina Conceptions will do the rest. I truly believe they want to see success as much as you!
He was very understanding and gave us options to feel like there was always hope. That matters to help you push forward through this very emotional process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Terry Hunter )
I worked with Terry Hunter with both cycles. She was AMAZING! I could not have asked for a better nurse. During my 2016 cycle, I had a few nurses and medical assistants that I was not as comfortable with. When I came in for ultrasounds they were not familiar with my situation and did not always communicate well.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Park was very detailed in all that I would experience and expect. He was understanding to the emotions that come with this process. He provided a lot of clinical research and information to help us understand what to expect. I was always very comfortable with him and the other Doctors since they all communicate well with each other. He was excellent to work with. I have referred everyone I know to him since I am comfortable they will have a positive experience.
I would say he is very honest and realistic. While he presents his honest outcome, he stays positive in his delivery of the process. He is very soft spoken and genuine.
2015 Protocol - IVF Antagon/Menopur This cycle produced 5 eggs at my retrieval and two embryos that were transferred at day 5 of a fresh transfer. One of the embryos did transfer and I did receive a positive pregnancy test. I went forward and had a pregnancy free of any complications and at 32 weeks we discovered no heartbeat with our baby girl. This was extremely heart breaking and we still do not know the reason behind our loss. In 2017, we pulled together enough strength to try again. We met with Dr. Park and began a new cycle. This cycle was Luteal Testosterone & GH Flare BIV IVF. This cycle produced 5 eggs at the retrieval and 4 went on to be frozen. We transferred 2-day 5 embryos and they did not take. After a few weeks, we went forward to transfer 2 frozen embryos and one of the embryos took! We moved forward and had a few complications in the pregnancy. I was considered a high risk pregnancy and I was monitored very closely with Duke. August 2017, we welcomed a healthy baby girl to this world.
We are an active duty military family, so therefore we have Tricare insurance. Unfortunately, Tricare does not cover any financial reasonability for IVF cycles or monitoring. We did have to pay everything our of pocket.
I have all positive comments with their approach. They always encouraged me to transfer 2 embryos at a time. They always provided the research and behind all their suggestions which always made me feel comfortable. This approach made me understand the reality of every procedure we had.
Raleigh
The clinic [Carolina Conceptions] was professional, compassionate, and well organized. ALL of the staff I have encountered have been extremely kind and invested in our journey. Appointments were very easy to schedule and I received many reminders about upcoming appointments via text and email. The receptionist, Kesha, was one of the most kind, genuine people I have ever met.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic was professional, compassionate, and well organized. ALL of the staff I have encountered have been extremely kind and invested in our journey. Appointments were very easy to schedule and I received many reminders about upcoming appointments via text and email. The receptionist, Kesha, was one of the most kind, genuine people I have ever met.
Dr. Meyer was the answer to our prayers. He took time to explain everything in detail (multiple times as I needed reminders and had lots of questions). He was easily reachable by phone or email. I typically reached out to him via email and always had a prompt response. I felt as though Dr. Meyer really knew my husband and I and took the time to make sure we were comfortable and well informed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Terry, Elisa)
We were highly pleased with the care, communication, and compassion we received from the entire team at Carolina Conceptions. The nurses were reliable and timely when relaying information. They were also very knowledgeable and I felt very comfortable with the information they provided me. They were also always willing to answer any questions I had. When I called and left messages they returned my calls promptly.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Meyer was exactly what I needed. He was compassionate and caring, but also very informative and to the point. He made sure we understand exactly what we were going through and what results we might could expect. I was diagnosed with a low AMH (it dropped significantly in about a years time) and Dr. Meyer was very realistic with the possibility that I might not have a lot of eggs for retrieval. As hard as it was to hear, he explained that I needed to lose some weight as this could significantly help improve my AMH levels and better my outcome of egg retrieval. I was able to lose some weight and take a couple of supplements recommended by Dr. Meyer and in return my AMH improved. With Dr. Meyer's help and expertise, I had 12 eggs retrieved, 9 of which were mature and fertilized, 6 made it to day 5. We transferred one embryo and the others were genetically tested and frozen. The one we transferred resulted in a positive pregnancy test and i am now 5 weeks. I could not be more thankful for Dr. Meyer!
While Dr. Meyer is caring and compassionate, he is not a "warm and fuzzy" doctor. He gives you facts and is an expert in his field. He has a great sense of humor!
Dr. Meyer suggested we begin with an medicated IUI. This was unsuccessful, so we had the option of trying it again or moving forward to IVF. We decided to think it over and take a break because we were emotionally drained at that point (just from trying for so long naturally and being disappointed each month). We resumed treatment a few months later and moved forward with IVF. We didn't want to waste any time. Dr. Meyer created an IVF protocol for us (I believe it was a pretty standard protocol) that we followed. Everything went smoothly and we were so lucky to receive a positive pregnancy test from it!
Our IVF cycle costed approximately $18,000. This included everything, from nurse class, egg retrieval, transfer, monitoring visits, and medication.
I appreciate Dr. Meyer being open and honest about his opinion of how many embryos to transfer. He was very passionate about only transferring one embryo in our situation. He expressed his concerns with having a multiple pregnancy (possibly complications, birth defects, etc).
Raleigh
Carolina Conceptions is amazing. My husband and I have been trying to have a child for over a year and have had one miscarriage. My obstetrician referred me to them and the doctors there were about the diagnose me and start me on the appropriate treatment immediately. They are also extremely flexible with appointments. I once slept through my alarm and missed an appointment for an ultrasound. Carolina Conceptions had no problem with it and was able to see me as a walk-in immediately.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I saw Dr. Park to have an HSG done. I was very anxious about the appointment and scared about what the test would show. Also, the procedure itself is awkward. Dr. Park put me at ease though, talked me through the procedure step-by-step before beginning and then talked me through it while he was doing the procedure. I could see the images immediately, and he did a fantastic job of explaining what I was seeing.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Park is very good at what he does. He has an excellent bedside manner and will absolutely put you at ease no matter how uncomfortable or anxious you are. He explains what is happening every step of the way and will take the time to answer any and all questions you have.
Ask any and all questions that you have. Even if the question does not directly relate to the reason for your visit, he will take the time to give you advice and information about whatever it is that you are curious about.
My insurance covered my visits. However, I do know that the clinic offers substantial discounts for those who do not have insurance.
Raleigh
As with any clinic, the cost of doing fertility treatments is not cheap! The clinic [Carolina Conceptions] always did a great job of meeting with you to fully explain what payments were due when and to give you a breakdown of what it covered. My insurance did not cover any fertility treatments but Dr. Park worked w/ me to keep the expenses as low as possible since it was all out-of-pocket funding...During the fertility treatments, there are so many appt's and for a lot of them, the doctor is not needed so you get to know the nurses very well. They were all educated on each step of the process and each one made you feel like you were the only thing that mattered while they were with you.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
From the moment you walk into the waiting room, the staff at the desk does a great job of welcoming you and making you feel at home. The environment can be somewhat unnerving when you first start going there b/c of the "unknown" but they always make you feel at home. After seeing the doctor for several years, the staff acts just as vested as the doctors at seeing success - they are just as happy for you when you get a good report and just as upset as you when you get bad/sad news.
During the fertility journey, you spend a lot of time with the doctor(s) and/or nurses/staff at the Clinic. Every single time I was in the office, everyone knew my name without looking at a chart and every time I called with any questions, I never had to go back thru my history to get the person caught up on my situation - they knew exactly what I was going thru at that moment and they made me feel like getting pregnant was all that mattered to them. The level of professionalism never wavered, but it was more of a personal connection with each person there than I have ever experienced in the medical field.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Park was always very open and honest with my husband and I. He gave us time to try the "cheaper" methods such as timed-intercourse and IUI before he recommended moving to IVF. Even after I was ready to give up on IVF, he encouraged us to move forward one more cycle - I am so thankful he encouraged that as it resulted in getting pregnant! He knew what to look for with all of my levels and he guided us to make the right decision each time (my husband and I did PGS testing the first time but Dr. Park recommended we skip it and do a fresh cycle transfer the 2nd time b/c my body was "ready") and again, he was right! There was never an email sent to him that did not get a reply back or a return phone call from him directly within the same day - and when he responded, it was with details, not just a hurry up and answer your question type mentality.
Be ready for a lot of information! It's Dr. Park's job to give you all the options and to give you both positives and negatives with each option - it's a lot to think about but never once did I feel pressured to decide quickly. Also, after being given so much information, my husband and I would leave with our brains going so many different directions...then we would think of the thousand questions we meant to ask - so write down your questions and when something pops up during the visits, ask right then!
After my first IVF cycle, I was discouraged and completely ready to settle for using donor eggs. I was a low follicle producer (the most I have had in any treatment was 4) but after we met with Dr. Park (who was genuinely upset for us when I got my negative test), he encouraged us to try again - he said he "knew we would get pregnant with my eggs, but it may take a few extra tries" - he was right and I am so glad we listened!
As with any clinic, the cost of doing fertility treatments is not cheap! The clinic always did a great job of meeting with you to fully explain what payments were due when and to give you a breakdown of what it covered. My insurance did not cover any fertility treatments but Dr. Park worked w/ me to keep the expenses as low as possible since it was all out-of-pocket funding.
My husband and I are a little concerned about twins...not that it's a true issue, but we were only going for one right now. Dr. Park listened to our concerns and worked w/ those to ensure we did what was best during the two IVF transfers - also, he guided us thru the process of fresh vs frozen and one vs two embryos (gave us all the information and then gave us recommendation of what he thought we should do but we never felt forced to go that route)
PCOS, Other, Unexplained
I would recommend Carolina Conceptions to anyone who has had trouble getting or staying pregnant. I trust my obstetrician implicitly, but he was not willing to start me on fertility treatment. My obstetrician subsequently referred me to Carolina Conceptions, and they immediately performed surgery to remove scar tissue from my uterus, diagnosed me with mild PCOS, and started me on fertility treatment. My husband and I have been trying for over a year and have had one miscarriage. Starting a family was becoming overwhelmingly stressful, but the staff at Carolina Conceptions stepped in, were thorough in testing both of us, and frank about what treatment I needed. Having a fertility specialist on the case has taken so much stress off of us and put us at ease.
PCOS, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Dr. Meyer has been amazing! He immediately diagnosed me with PCOS, which my obstetrician was not comfortable doing. I needed surgery to remove scar tissue from a prior miscarriage, and he scheduled the surgery right away. The surgery went perfectly, and I was able to start Letrozole about a week later.
The nurses are very warm and make you feel comfortable.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
I had an HSG done before seeing Dr. Meyer that showed a mass in my uterus. Dr. Meyer automatically set me at ease and told me that he thought it was scar tissue and that he would do my surgery ASAP. In the same visit, he diagnosed me with PCOS and decided to put me on Letrozole starting with my next cycle. He explained what would happen every step of the way and also let me know what to expect. The surgery went perfectly and I am now on the first round of Letrozole.
Take notes! He is very thorough and explains every aspect of your treatment plan, but does go through things quickly. If you miss something though, Carolina Conceptions is great with answering questions and will respond to you pretty much right away.
The first step in my treatment was a hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue from a prior D&C. About a week after the surgery -- which went perfectly -- I started my first round of Letrozole, which I am currently taking. Dr. Meyer started the Letrozole because he diagnosed me with PCOS. Dr. Meyer explained how the Letrozole would work, the timing of the appointments, and how everything would go. Dr. Meyer plans to keep me on Letrozole for three cycles. If I do not get pregnant during that time, he plans to be "more aggressive" with my treatment.
The cost of going to see Dr. Meyer has been extremely affordable. Fortunately, my insurance has covered most everything; however, if it had not, or if I had not had insurance, the clinic offers significant discounts to reduce the out-of-pocket cost to their patients.
Raleigh
Strengths: very well qualified physicians, embryologists, nurses. Extremely supportive, organized and reliable. Weakness: Carolina Conceptions is 4 hrs from me...Terry is amazing. I did remote IVF for my last two cycles as we moved 4 hrs away and she was my nurse and liaison. She helped to coordinate all my medications, treatments, dose changes, etc. She was always timely, responsible, and completely reliable. More important, Terry was a strong pillar of support and always showed warmth and compassion. Couldn't have picked a better team!
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Dr. Meyer took time to come up with my protocol. He would listen to my concerns and take them into consideration. He was always warm and compassionate. I never felt like a statistic or just another patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Terry Hunter)
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
As a physician myself, I spent time researching and looking up an REI who would be highly qualified, but also treat me with kindness, compassion and warmth. Choosing an REI is a very important decision for any woman going through fertility issues. It's important to chose someone who you connect with, as this is a very difficult and often lonely journey with potentially a lot of heartbreak. I chose Dr. Meyer and am so thankful that I did. I had a lot of ups and downs trying to conceive and he never made me feel that having a family was not a possibility. I had such a great experience at Carolina Conceptions and with Dr. Meyer, that after I moved over 4 hours away, I decided to keep him as my REI and make the commute back for our second child (who I am currently pregnant with). Whichever REI you decide to go with, make sure it is someone who can help you navigate this difficult time in your life. I was blessed to have found this with Dr. Meyer.
Feel free to be open about your concerns/thoughts/feelings. Ask questions. He is always responsive and thoughtful.
My first IVF cycle I used Bravelle and had a chemical pregnancy. Second IVF cycle I used Lupron with Bravelle and had follicles but no mature eggs. This was converted to IUI. Third cycle I used Follistim and testosterone patch and became pregnant with my son. At that time I was going through IVF Bravelle was recalled due to decreased potency. For baby two, we repeated the Follistim and testosterone and I am currently 7.5 weeks pregnant.
Costs were comparable to other nearby fertility clinics.
I left it up to the embryologist to decide. No real comments.
Raleigh
[Carolina Conceptions] Strengths: staff is friendly and communicate very well. Process has been smooth and not complicated secondary to the excellent communication and education provided by staff members. Questions are answered promptly. [Nurses are a] Great resource for information and answering questions...the process was explained so well from the beginning with Michele, RN during my IVF class. She was great!
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Strengths: staff is friendly and communicate very well. Process has been smooth and not complicated secondary to the excellent communication and education provided by staff members. Questions are answered promptly. Weaknesses: Clinic is 2.5 hours from my home, however I only have to go 3 times to clinic (IVF class, retrieval, transfer). Otherwise I am able to be monitored remotely. Totally worth the drive to be a patient at this high quality clinic.
I am highly impressed with Dr. Meyer. He made me feel like a human because I felt so comfortable around him and talking to him. It didn't seem like I was sitting down with a specialist but rather a regular person panning out a situation and formulating a plan. He's honest, caring, straight forward and what stands out the most is that he is on top of everything! Nothing goes overlooked. He will literally respond to your e-mail within 5 minutes. When we first met him we were getting a second opinion and I knew within the first minute talking to him that this was our guy. He's incredible!
Great resource for information and answering questions. I communicate more with Dr. Meyer and have not had to rely too much on his nurses. So far process has been smooth and have not had to utilize them too much as the process was explained so well from the beginning with Michele, RN during my IVF class. She was great!
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
We are still in the process of starting our family. We are currently in the first round of IVF. Bill Meyer is absolutely amazing! He is a down to earth person who makes you feel incredibly comfortable. He explains everything in detail and leaves nothing overlooked. Each time I have emailed Dr. Meyer, he emails me back within 5 minutes. This is unbelievable for a doctor to be so on top of everything and it makes you feel good and much less stressed. For example, I needed an order pretty quickly faxed over to another facility (I am being monitored remotely). I emailed him and he literally sent email back within minutes and his nurses had already faxed the order. Getting answers quickly like this decreases your anxiety and makes the process less stressful and more exciting.
If you have questions, just ask. He will always be quick to answer. Be sure to take notes at office visits as information can be somewhat overwhelming as with anything when going through fertility treatment. Utilize the nurses- they are great resources.
We are currently in our first round of IVF therefore unable to provide adequate feedback.
$4000 so far....
Dr. Meyer has a strong preference for single embryo transfer. I couldn't agree more. Less risk of complications.
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality
All nursing staff [at Carolina Conceptions] were very supportive, compassionate and care for their clients...I also had a very bad experience with someone in finance who took us to the back room to discuss financial options after our 3rd miscarriage and them promptly asked us to exit through the back stairs since we were visibly upset and she didn't want us to walk through the lobby and possibly upset other patients. She just handled it very coldly.
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I only had a few negative experiences. I saw Dr. Park on a few occasions and didn't feel he was as warm or compassionate at Dr. Meyer. I also had a very bad experience with someone in finance who took us to the back room to discuss financial options after our 3rd miscarriage and them promptly asked us to exit through the back stairs since we were visibly upset and she didn't want us to walk through the lobby and possibly upset other patients. She just handled it very coldly.
I feel like Dr. Meyer truly cares about our success in having a baby and genuinely cares for his clients.
All nursing staff were very supportive, compassionate and care for their clients.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
He was very compassionate and warm which immediately made me feel comfortable working with Dr. Meyer. He listened to our concerns, was honest in his recommendations and was able to thoroughly explain all of our options. I'd highly recommend Dr. Meyer to friends and family.
Ask questions and don't be afraid to ask for all options.
We started with an oral pill to increase egg production, added injectibles, tested everything after 2nd miscarriage, ruled out anything other than egg quality/maternal age, tried IUI, recommended we not try additional rounds of IUI, after third miscarriage went to egg donor program. Transferred 2 embryos, negative pregnancy test, transferred two more embryos, positive pregnancy with one successful. We are currently 23 weeks 5 days. :-)
We paid most everything out of pocket so we had to take several personal and medical loans. We paid well over $30000 over our time at Carolina Conceptions and still have 3 Frozen embryos and plan for another transfer or 2 of those embryos.
We asked to transfer 2 embryos and he agreed. Recommended we not do more than 3.
Raleigh
The atmosphere at the clinic [Carolina Conceptions] is very inviting, and makes you feel welcomed. The ladies that work in the front remember who you are and take the time to talk to you. I am a teacher and they were always very flexible to work around my schedule so I did not have to take off a lot of work...Although fertility treatment is expensive, the financial team was very helpful and took the time to sit down with you to break down each cost...The nursing staff was always very friendly and made me feel very comfortable.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The atmosphere at the clinic is very inviting, and makes you feel welcomed. The ladies that work in the front remember who you are and take the time to talk to you. I am a teacher and they were always very flexible to work around my schedule so I did not have to take off a lot of work.
Dr. Bowling was very kind, and talked us through every step. Not only did she help provide answers to our questions, but she also took the time to understand my underlying conditions and reasons for why I chose to go through the IVF process.
The nursing staff was always very friendly and made me feel very comfortable.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Bowling was very transparent with us about the process from the beginning. She really laid it out there and was straight forward with everything. When communication was necessary with Dr. Bowling, she was very prompt in her responses back, or had someone contact us back in a timely manner. She is very compassionate and professional in her job.
Be open and detailed about what your conditions are and why you are going through everything. She takes the time to research the best methods to increase your probability of success.
I was on the Microdose Lupron protocol, due to diminishing ovarian reserve. - 10 iu microdose lupron - 225 Gonal F - 75 IU Menupeur - 250 Ovidrel (trigger shot) I did not respond well to the stimulants, and no eggs were retrieved.
Raleigh
I think if you are struggling with infertility that this practice [Carolina Conceptions] is one that can help you. They have been very helpful, kind, compassionate and patient with us...I thought that the nursing staff was great! They were awesome in our care. Again, the only complaint I have is that they were not on the same page as far as our changes in our plan of care...I just felt there was some lack in communication among physicians and staff.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I think if you are struggling with infertility that this practice is one that can help you. They have been very helpful, kind, compassionate and patient with us.
As a patient of this practice, when dealing with physicians, I felt as is they were very available to answer questions or concerns I had. Even after hours and over weekends. Anytime I sent an email day, night or weekend I always received a response that day. I felt like I was treated with much care.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
I feel like Dr. Meyer was very caring and compassionate. I felt he was very thorough in his explanations and plan for my care. I fully trust him with my care. I do feel as if the communication between him and his partners, as well as other staff, was lacking. I found out during my first pelvic ultrasound that I had a uterine fibroid that required myomectomy. This changed my course of treatment in which we had planned. Upon talking to Dr. Meyer's partner and some other staff in the office they continued to tell me that we were on the same original plan and I had to keep telling them that there had been changes. His partner performed my egg retrieval and she didn't even measure the fibroid or have answers to my questions about our plan post op. I felt as if the communication could have been better so those involved in my care we're updated on what was going on.
Expect the unexpected and make sure you are always on top of what's going on
To prepare for egg retrieval I was placed on 3 injection medication. 20 units of lurpon twice daily, 1 vial of menopur twice daily and 225 IU of gonal f twice daily. I was told these were the highest doses I could take, I was on high doses for low AMH level. For after the egg retrieval I was placed on an z pack antibiotic for 6 days, a steroid twice a day for 5 days and estrogen until further notice.
We paid $10,365 which includes egg aspiration, ultrasound guidance, egg identification, sperm wash, egg insemination, culture of eggs, embryo prep for transfer, embryo glue, transfer, nitrogen. Also this costs covered our nursing class to be taught about injections, cryopreservaton, anesthesia and a cycle management fee to cover us being monitored by another practice, as we love out of town. The injection drugs that were needed costs right around $8,000. We paid anywhere from $150-$300 per visit for lab work and ultrasound to monitor follicles. We had 5-6 visits for lab work and ultrasound.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage
Very friendly and courteous staff [at Carolina Conceptions] that always try to make you feel at ease during this stressful time. They definitely go above and beyond for their clients and I felt like i was family...All the nurses were friendly and knowledgeable. When I left a message on the nurses line, I always received a timely return call with all the information I needed...We got a service workers discount and were self pay. I remember we paid almost 13k for the ER, biopsy and FET. Each monitoring Was between 3-400.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Very friendly and courteous staff that always try to make you feel at ease during this stressful time. They definitely go above and beyond for their clients and I felt like i was family.
Dr Meyer was very personable. I have never had a Dr call or email me just to check on me. If I had any questions, all i had to do was send him an email and I always had a quick response.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
From my very first visit for my consultation with Dr Meyer, I felt like he truly cared about me and our situation. I needed to have a hysteroscopy which my insurance wouldn't cover thru the clinic. He referred me to a Dr that my insurance would cover and then agreed to come observe during my procedure. He always went above and beyond to make sure we knew/ understood what was happening. He was easily accessible whenever we had questions or concerns.
Take advantage of his knowledge. Don't leave his office without asking every question you may have...he is one Dr that does not mind being questioned.
For my ER, I started with Lupron, 75mg Menopur and 150mg Gonal F. When my body didn't respond as well as expected, he increased the dosages to 225mg Gonal F. I ended up with 6 mature follicles and 5 mature eggs. For my FET I was taking a blood thinner to help improve blood flow to my uterus, vitamin D and E through the entire prep. I started on 6mg of Estradiol orally but my lining wasn't getting thick enough so it was changed to 4 mg estradiol orally, 2mg estradiol vaginally and 2 estrogen patches and 10mg Progesterone.
We were planning on doing a multiple embryo transfer but I only ended up with one viable embryo after we received our PGS test results.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
The front desk staff [at Carolina Conceptions] is INCREDIBLE. They are so nice and make you feel at home, like they genuinely care about you. They call me by my first name and are so helpful when it comes to appointments and records...teachers get a summer discount...The nurses are also wonderful and the lab team...Super Ovulation Cycles= around $400 (this was covered by insurance) IVF Cycle= $13,000 (Summer Teacher Discount)
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The front desk staff is INCREDIBLE. They are so nice and make you feel at home, like they genuinely care about you. They call me by my first name and are so helpful when it comes to appointments and records. I can't say enough nice things about them. The nurses are also wonderful and the lab team. Highly recommend!
Dr. Park is very kind and compassionate. He doesn't treat you like a number--he always schedules appointments to "discuss" before he prescribes anything and wants you to always be aware of the plan. He throughly discussed IVF protocol and we discussed many options and all came to an agreement. I felt he really took the time to look at my records and my situation and gave his most honest advice.
The nursing staff is really great---one of them sometimes seems annoyed when making phone calls. The rest are super friendly and always available by phone.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Strengths- Very compassionate, and willing to work with you. He works around your schedule and takes everything into consideration--your job, your stress level, your schedule, and financial options. He doesn't give you unrealistic expectations, rather is straight forward with what you are up against. Still, even when things were bad and I didn't get the results I wanted, he encouraged me not to give up. I was also told by my acupuncturist he is one of the best surgeons around, so that is a plus! Weaknesses- It is hard to reach him by phone (but, he is a doctor so he is of course busy!) and sometimes takes a day or two to respond to email.
Be straight forward with him and don't be afraid to ask questions. He is a great doctor and will take care of you.
We tried 2 Super-Ovulation cycles with injections and timed intercourse. We did this because my insurance covered it. When it failed, we decided to move on to IVF because teachers get a summer discount and we had been trying for so long and spent a lot of money. We all sat down and discussed and decided this would be the best option. When this did not work, he respected our wishes to take a break and save for the next round. He met with me and explained what went wrong and encouraged us not to give up. He also did a laproscopy surgery to make sure one of my tubes were not blocked--he thought this would be helpful since we were going to try to conceive naturally for a while. Here is where we found endometriosis which we were not aware was there before. We just saw him again last week to start a new discussion of the next steps. He wanted to do more testing to see where my levels are and start a new plan.
Dr. Park would not let me implant more than two embryos. He is on top of things and only cares about having a successfully, healthy pregnancy and baby.
Raleigh
The clinic [Carolina Conceptions] is well kept, with a smooth check in and check out process.... We felt an updated AMH test before our injectable cycle may have saved us that medication expense since the medication had no effect. We did have some conflicting cost and insurance coverage limits early in our financial consultation. In the end, we came out better than we were originally informed but there was some confusion.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic is well kept, with a smooth check in and check out process.
Dr. Park was calming and optimistic while gathering details about our situation. He called us directly after we had not been in for an office visit for several weeks, taking a genuine interest in our situation from the beginning. When results came back undesirable he was frank, but empathetic, in laying out the next options available and a path forward.
The nurses were capable and completed their tasks as expected.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Park was knowledgeable and optimistic in his approach, often questioning and seemingly perplexed by many of the choices made by our previous clinic. We left our initial consultation with a feeling of hope that we had begun to lose from our time with our previous care provider. Dr. Park provided us with a plan of action and, after our initial results were less than desired, calmly moved us forward with our available options offering counseling and support along the way.
Come prepared with your list of questions and remain open to your possibilities. Dr. Park was very helpful in navigating test results and data pertaining to your situation and options.
Dr. Park recommended injectable hormones to stimulate egg production. Since we were recently pregnant through natural means the theory was to increase egg production in hopes of gathering a few eggs of higher quality. The injectables had little to no effect and, unfortunately, forced us to move on to alternative plans of treatment which we are engaged in currently.
$70 - $80 Insurance co-pays for office visits. $1065 Injectable cycle medications. $31 nurse monitoring visits.
Dr. Park was very clear that his preference and standard procedure was single embryo transfer due to his views on the success rate with healthy embryos and the likelihood of twins with multiple embryos and the possible complications that accompany that scenario.
Raleigh
Everyone in the office [Carolina Conceptions] was very professional, courteous, and helpful from the front desk clerks to the nurses, doctors, and billing staff. They will take the time to answer all of your quesetions and address all of your needs. Everything is handled very efficiently in this office and we highly recommend it.... If I remember correctly, the total cost of the timed intercourse treatment package was around $500.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Everyone in the office was very professional, courteous, and helpful from the front desk clerks to the nurses, doctors, and billing staff. They will take the time to answer all of your quesetions and address all of your needs. Everything is handled very efficiently in this office and we highly recommend it.
Dr. Couchman always took the time to sit with us and explain every relevant detail to us concerning our situation. She offered honest advice and spoke to us like intelligent human beings.
They were very informative and helpful and instructed my wife on how to administer the injections that she was to take.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
My wife and I feel that Dr. Couchman is very knowledgeable and compassionate. We have tried to get pregnant several times over 2 years under the direction of a previous doctor. When he transferred us to Dr. Couchman's care, she suggested that we try a very regimented timed intercourse treatment. Unfortunately, our attempt was unsuccessful yet again. We had a follow-up appointment with Dr. Couchman to discuss next steps. She suggested trying IUI at least once or twice, but we feel like so much time has been lost and want to go straight for the IVF since the odds of success are much higher. Additionally, we can't really afford to keep trying different techniques with the odds of success being so low and that's why we want to pursue IVF. She was completely understanding of our needs and frustrations and gave us all the information we needed. We are hoping to schedule it for sometime this summer.
Listen carefully and don't be afraid to ask questions until you fully understand everything you need to know. There will be a lot of information and different factors to consider.
My wife and I underwent a timed intercourse treatment in which she had to take prenatal vitamins. We then had to go in for an ultrasound followed by Letrozole tablets for several days. After that I had to administer Follistim injections for 3 consecutive days. Then, we had to go back in for another ultrasound. We were then instructed to begin taking Ganirelix. Lastly we had to begin the progesterone suppositories nightly until we became pregnant.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Michele was my donor egg coordinator [at Carolina Conceptions] and was always there to answer questions and go above and beyond to help me when I needed it. She is a great nurse and very compassionate.... I guess the only weakness is them not filing insurance for me. They would only do that for certain companies and everyone was self pay. That was a pain and made a stressful situation more stressful just to get reimbursed for bloodwork and ultrasounds.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
They have a great front office staff who are very kind and upbeat! All of the doctors are great. I guess the only weakness is them not filing insurance for me. They would only do that for certain companies and everyone was self pay. That was a pain and made a stressful situation more stressful just to get reimbursed for bloodwork and ultrasounds.
He has a wonderful bedside manner while being upfront and honest about my situation. He made feel very comfortable every time I came in leading up to my procedure and was very positive even while being honest about my chances of conceiving.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Michele Medlin)
Michele was my donor egg coordinator and was always there to answer questions and go above and beyond to help me when I needed it. She is a great nurse and very compassionate.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
I like Dr. Meyers energy and I felt he was very sincere. He was upfront and honest when I asked questions and was honest with me that he did not know why I wasn't able to conceive either time we did my transfer. He was willing to do bloodwork I requested just to be sure I didn't have any issues that would normally not be looked at until multiple miscarriages. My husband also met Dr. Meyer and had a great experience with him as well. Overall I would highly recommend Dr. Meyer to both friends and family.
Ask for what you want and don't be afraid to question things. He is open and honest and did not bs me which was very much appreciated.
Because I was using donor egg and only doing FETs we didn't really have treatment strategies. We did do a lot of bloodwork after the first failed attempt and did another saline ultrasound just to make sure their were no issues that may be going on.
Costs are reasonable here. They are on par and maybe somewhat below the national average. The out of pocket expense for me for bloodwork and ultrasounds were a pain since they would not file my insurance.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The strengths of Carolina Conceptions is the front desk staff always greet you with a smile, good morning or hello. They got to know me so well that I actually received hugs from them. They always answered the phones, but sometimes you were put on hold. They had been getting pretty full with appointments and were getting backed up about 2 months, but they have rectified that with hiring a fourth doctor. One weakness I have to admit was with the finance department. They do not present you with all of the options available (discounted rates for law enforcement, split financing with another couple if using egg donor, etc.). You do have to find out by asking yourself or by another patient to know what they completely offer. However, they do allow third party financing which is a plus. Overall, Carolina Conceptions would get an A - for a clinic rating.
Dr. Park was very personable with me and explained every step and factor in great detail. He was kind and considerate when discussing all of the procedures and processes with me and thoroughly answered all of my questions. I could not have been happier or more grateful with his bedside manner. He was also very honest with me and we both believe I still have a good egg remaining, it is just a matter of how many cycles does it take to find the good egg. Dr. Park's protocol recommendation was the most successful yet as far as egg production and retrieval. I highly recommend the expertise Dr. Park offers to any patient experiencing any fertility issues because he is not only highly knowledgeable, but has an exceptional demeanor when it comes to patient relations. He is so kind and considerate and explains the costs and procedures very thoroughly. Dr. Park comes highly recommended. He is simply awesome!
The nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions is phenomenal. They walk and talk you through each phase and are always welcoming phone calls or emails. They always ask about your day, always smile, and always make you feel like they are rooting for success with our fertility endeavors. They also go the extra mile to answer any questions I may have and they are not afraid to step away if need be and get the doctor. They have all called me back expeditiously and always leave me feeling like they are cheering me and my eggs on. I could not be happier with the nursing staff.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
My experience with Dr. Park could not have been any better as far as doctor-patient relationship. Dr. Park was very easy to talk and such a great listener. When my husband and I decided to try IVF, Dr. Park's schedule was booked for two months out. I called his office to see about them working me in and the secretary was adamant that Dr. Park just could not squeeze me in for two more months. Due to my AMH level dropping rapidly, I emailed Dr. Park and told him what my husband and I were wanting to do and he remembered my situation. He immediately called me upon receiving me email and had the front desk staff work me in that week and were able to begin the IVF process right away! Unfortunately, that particular cycle was unsuccessful, so Dr. Park discussed at length as to what was the medical reason for not achieving success and then explained other options, as well as stated he was willing for us to try IVF again as long as there was no financial burden. He believes there is still a mature egg left in me, we just have to find it. I told him I still had plenty of medicines left over except for 600 IUs of Follistim and Ovidrel. I also told him I had 8 vials of Ganarelix which we were not needing for IVF and he offered to swap the meds out for me with what he had in the clinic, so I didn't have to spend an additional $2000 out of pocket! I mean how many doctors would do that! He also got me scheduled again right away, so no time was wasted. Dr. Park has really gone above and beyond in helping my husband and I try to conceive one more time. I love Dr. Park and I have recommended him three times since I began this process. He is the true example of a caring physician who not only takes the time to listen to my needs and expectations, but he explain every step of the process before hand and as you are going through each step or phase. He will change his schedule on a moment's notice to accommodate your schedule and he helps save you money by exchanging meds with his patients when there is a financial burden and insurance does not help! I cannot say enough about the kindness and compassion of Dr. Park and how he truly makes me feel like a patient he cares for and wants me to have success and happiness. He never makes me feel rushed (our appointed times have ran over several times and he never rushes me out of his office to see his next patient) and he so patiently and politely listens to me with a strong ear. He does not treat his patients as numbers, he cares about them as people! Dr. Park is not only a very compassionate doctor, he is a true friend who offers every avenue known in the fertility world to his patients and "holds your hand" along the way. Unfortunately, in today's society, you don't find doctors with Dr. Park's demeanor and bedside manner as much. He is a rare find and a true gem! Thank you so much Dr. Park for being my doctor!
I would recommend a patient be open and honest with Dr. Park from the financial burden to your expectations and really listen to what he has to say. He is so knowledgeable about every aspect of fertility and he will give you all the time you need to ask questions, make comments, and really explore all of your options. He is absolutely phenomenal and I think it would be hard to find anyone better!
Dr. Park used an aggressive strategy on me due to my age and my AMH level dropping from 1.1 to 0.5 in a year. He ended up going with the Flare protocol to hopefully retrieve 5 to 8 eggs and it worked! He put me on birth control for 14 days once I got my period and then I began a testosterone patch for 5 days. I then started Lupron (morning and night) and HGH (night time only) for 12 days. The next day I started Menopur and Follistim both in the morning and night. I did this the first IVF cycle for 10 days and then Ovidrel on the night of the 10th day and then had my egg retrieval 36 hours later. The second cycle of IVF was exactly like the aforementioned regimen except we decided to go 12 day and then do the retrieval in hopes of giving my eggs more time to mature. Dr. Park wanted to be as aggressive as possible again because of my age and AMH levels. The first cycle produced 12 follicles and 12 eggs. Of the 12, 6 eggs were mature and all 6 fertilized. None of the embryos made it to day 5. The next cycle produced 12 follicles with only 10 eggs to retrieve and of those 10, 7 were mature and 6 fertilized. Again, none of the 6 embryos made it to day 5. Dr. Park stated if I choose to do IVF again, he will use the same aggressive protocol since I had such a good response as far as the number of eggs that were retrieved. He was very excited and shocked that we were able to retrieve that many eggs in each cycle due to age and AMH level. He did say that he has not seen such a good response in women a few years younger than me using the same protocol, so we were both happy with the results. My eggs were just bad eggs. That's why if I could try once more (with your generous monetary gift) to see if I can finally find that good egg, I would be so appreciative. I know the good Lord is going to answer our prayers and bless us one more time with a healthy and happy little one.
I have BCBS and they do not cover any medications or procedures with Assisted Reproductive Technology. I was able to bank some of my medications when they were covered when we were doing timed intercourse, so that offset a lot of the cost. Carolina Conceptions offers a discount for law enforcement/firefighter personnel which is a big help, so I received a reduced rate from $10K to $7500K for the entire IVF procedure. The only additional out of pocket expense was the ultrasounds which where $300 each and you did 3 to 4 each cycle. They also offered financial assistance via CapEx, a fertility finance company who offers low interest loans for IVF.
Dr. Park had informed me that we could put up to 4 embryos in me if they made it to day 5, but if we had embryos that really stood out compared to others, then he would stick with only two, but he said up to four was definitely an option. He also explained to my why (again all due to my age and egg quality) we would take such an approach. He always mentioned the success rate and probability of each process and why the rates were at the number they were. He is such a cool doctor with a subtle attitude that is so easy to talk too and he listens and explains everything so thoroughly.
Raleigh
Carolina Conceptions is very thorough, professional, and kind to their patients. As a weakness I would point out that I noticed that lately my wait time is greater than it was when I first started my appointments in summer of 2016...The nursing staff was respectful and kind. I was especially fond of two of the nurses, however I never wrote down their names...Dr. Park always took the time to consider our questions and concerns. He was thorough in his explanations and in laying out our options. He thought of our situation from our point of view and was very supportive when we faced negative pregnancy tests.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
John Park is an excellent doctor! He is very knowledgeable and was able to answer all of our questions. When we had finished 3 cycles of medication with planned intercourse without luck, he emailed me in order to set up a time to meet again to discuss our next steps. At this meeting I was very touched when he took a minute to connect with me, pointing out that I must be very frustrated that we hadn't yet had success, even though our numbers were fantastic! He was always very respectful of our financial constraints when we were devising our fertility plans. I would definitely recommend Dr. Park to anyone who is considering seeing a fertility specialist.
Don't feel uncomfortable asking any questions. Dr. Park will be respectful and upfront with any questions or concerns you have!
To start we tried 3 cycles of medication with timed intercourse. The medications included Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel, and progesterone suppositories. My body reacted very well to the medicine, producing 3-5 eggs each time. After 3 rounds of no success, we met with Dr. Park and decided to go the IUI route. He kept my medicine the same, as my body was appropriately reacting, and we just added the IUI in place of intercourse. The first round was unsuccessful but the second round worked!
For the first 3 timed intercourse cycles insurance helped cover the costs. Therefore, the visits and medications were highly discounted. The 2 IUI cycles and medication was not covered by insurance, so we paid out of pocket for everything including office visits. Unfortunately, I do not have the exact costs available.
2 Egg Freezing, IVF
Clinic's [Carolina Conceptions] strengths are extreme knowledge and with that knowledge help us as a couple grow confidence in the process. Weakness is the price but I know that's not their fault so none.... [The nursing staff are] Very communicative, sharp, seemed to care about the work they were doing and supported the patients instead of treating us like numbers.
2 Egg Freezing, IVF
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Clinic's strengths are extreme knowledge and with that knowledge help us as a couple grow confidence in the process. Weakness is the price but I know that's not their fault so none.
Dr. B has been fantastic through this process. She is available whenever we need to get in touch with her, she is extremely knowledgable, and she is there to help and give us the information and make the best decision for us and our family; we don't feel judged which is huge.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. B's strengths are she is smart, well informed, compassionate to the costs and decisions that have to be made, accessible to the patients via phone and email and the information given is accurate. I have yet to come across a weakness so far.
I would tell someone to do research prior to going so that you have questions about the entire process because Dr. B is a wealth of knowledge and will either correct a misconception OR expound on the answer!
I don't know all the process but my wife and I are both Cystic Fibrosis carriers and we had to terminate a pregnancy last year. Dr. B was fantastic in talking through that with us and understanding as to why we wanted to get the PGD and PGS for our next attempt at conception.
They were a bit of a shock but that's just the industry. We had an idea coming in and walked away needing to figure out how to fund it. It was definitely something that was surprising but hopefully worth it!
Raleigh
Nurses [at Carolina Conceptions] were all friendly. A nurse completed our first IUI. We were not confident that she had the experience or knowledge to be performing an IUI on her own. She explained that she was newer to the practice. She didn't talk much during the IUI and then after, she disappeared, so we weren't sure if it was done or what our next steps were. The call coordinator at the front desk was always amazing. Whenever we called, he was always happy to answer any questions that he could, and directed us to the right person. When we arrived at the office, he always knew our names, and what we were there for, and always had a smile on his face.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The location was easy to find, but if you got there before hours, or after a certain time, the elevator would be locked, and there aren't clear signs on how to access the top floor if you can't use the elevator. The elevator opens up to a wall of windows, so it is initially a bit disorienting because usually the elevators open up to the front desk. There is a large waiting room with plenty of seating options. I loved that the bathrooms all had different themes, so it felt like you were at home, and not at a doctor's office.
On our first IUI, we had no idea what to expect, and during our consultation, we weren't told that our doctor would not be the one completing the IUI. When we went in for the procedure, someone we had never met came in, completed the procedure and then left with little communication. The second IUI went much better as our doctor was the one to complete the procedure. My husband and I are planners, and we have a lot of 'what if' questions. We could tell that the doctor wanted to get our questions answered as quickly as possible and then send us on our way.
Nurses were all friendly. A nurse completed our first IUI. We were not confident that she had the experience or knowledge to be performing an IUI on her own. She explained that she was newer to the practice. She didn't talk much during the IUI and then after, she disappeared, so we weren't sure if it was done or what our next steps were. The call coordinator at the front desk was always amazing. Whenever we called, he was always happy to answer any questions that he could, and directed us to the right person. When we arrived at the office, he always knew our names, and what we were there for, and always had a smile on his face.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
When we first met with Dr. Couchman, we immediately knew that she had a lot of experience and knowledge. This was great as we had very little knowledge. She was very direct and to the point with all of her answers, she wanted to make sure we received accurate information when we asked questions. My husband and I like to understand the full scope of what to expect for the full process, but Dr. Couchman was more inclined to go step by step and explain things as we got to the next step. This made it difficult to know what to expect as we moved through the process for the first time. During the second IUI, Dr. Couchman was great at keeping the room friendly and upbeat. It made for a big difference from the first time.
Know that she is going to tell it as it is, in no uncertain terms. If you want someone to sugar coat the truth, she is maybe not the best fit, but if you want someone to get straight to the point, she is great!
The first consultation was to meet with the doctor and decide if we were a good fit. Next, we scheduled an HSG. The HSG showed that I had a uterine septum. We scheduled surgery to correct the uterine setpum and we were able to start the IUI process right away. The treatment had me go in on cycle days 1-3 for an ultrasound. If the ultrasound looked good, then I would start taking Femara for 5 days. Then I went in for a second ultrasound. If that ultrasound looked good, then on cycle day 12, I would inject myself with 1 pre-filled syringe of Ovidrel 250MCG/.5ML syringe. then two lays later, I would go in for the IUI. Then 2 weeks after the IUI, I would take a pregnancy test. The first IUI resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I wanted to wait for one cycle before trying again, but Dr. Couchman advised against that, saying that it was best to do it right away. We tried a second time, and this time along with the Femara pills, I used a Progesterone 50MG suppository. The rest of the treatment was the same. The second IUI resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
The initial consultation was $250.00. HSG was $538.00. Ultrasounds were $250.00 per ultrasound (This included $70.00 office visit and $180.00 for Ultrasound). IUI day of procedure was $430.00 (This included Office visit of $90.00, IUI $260.00, Thawing of sperm, $55.00, Semen Analysis $75.00).
N/A. We did not do an embryo transfer.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
In the last 5 months, we have worked with several nurses (Michelle, Terry) and staff at Carolina Conceptions. You get the feeling that the nurses and entire staff from the front desk attendant, Keisha, to the financial coordinator, Kelly, is pulling for your success. It feels like a family at times and was just what we needed when we encountered bumps in the road... This resulted in a retrieval of 4 eggs, 3 were mature and fertilized. On Day 3, all 3 embryos had divided into about 8-9 cells. And on Day 5, only 1 embryo had developed into an early stage blastocyst which was transferred on Day 5. The rationale to wait until Day 5 was because there were 3 viable embryos on Day 3 as opposed to having only 1 or 2 on Day 3. This way, had there been 3 blastocysts on Day 5, we could have selected the 2 best for transfer.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
In the last 5 months, we have worked with most of the staff at one time or another at Carolina Conceptions. You get the feeling that the entire staff from the front desk attendant, Keisha, to the financial coordinator, Kelly, is pulling for your success. It feels like a family at times and was just what we needed when we encountered bumps in the road.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Medlin, Terry Hunter)
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr Meyer appears to be very knowledgeable with regard to fertility treatment options and gives a lot of information related to the process. You get the feeling that both he and the entire staff are really in your corner and pulling for a successful outcome. In our case, he analyzed the procedural outcome and test results during treatment to make modifications for our second attempt at IVF.
Dr. Meyer provides a lot of information in your first consultation. You may end up having questions after your first visit. Don't hesitate to make a follow-up appointment(s) to get answers to your questions. There are also you tube videos (a little out dated) but give you a general idea of what to expect for an IVF transfer.
We completed three rounds of IUI with negative pregnancy results. During this treatment, I injected 225 Follistem daily for 8-12 days. We also have completed one round of IVF treatment with negative pregnancy results. During this time, I injected 225 Follistem and Menopur for 8-12 days. This resulted in a retrieval of 4 eggs, 3 were mature and fertilized. On Day 3, all 3 embryos had divided into about 8-9 cells. And on Day 5, only 1 embryo had developed into an early stage blastocyst which was transferred on Day 5. The rationale to wait until Day 5 was because there were 3 viable embryos on Day 3 as opposed to having only 1 or 2 on Day 3. This way, had there been 3 blastocysts on Day 5, we could have selected the 2 best for transfer.
My insurance covered the majority of the costs. I paid $35 co-pays for consulting appt, ultrasounds, HSG, semen analysis, monitoring visits/lab work, IUI, egg retrieval, and embryo transfer. I also paid $75 for the class to learn how to self-administer the injectables. Some medications for the second round of IVF were compounded and not covered by insurance. These were about $500 for one round of IVF.
Raleigh
Some of my rounds [at Carolina Conceptions] were partially covered by insurance, thanks to a strange loophole. IUI rounds cost a total of around $1000 if paying out of pocket, plus the additional cost for sperm and medications (medicine was usually around $80 for a clomid round, $1600 for a Gonal-F round)...Everyone on staff is professional and compassionate, and all of them, including the receptionists, are very nice. They have always been friendly. I can be hard to draw blood from, and occasionally they have trouble with that, but that's not unusual for me. Usually they do a great job with that too...Sometimes the clinic can be very busy (especially during walk-in hours at the beginning of the day), and depending on what's going on, sometimes they can be running a little bit behind. The receptionists and nurses are very friendly and return calls, and are happy to answer questions and take the time to make sure you understand what's going on. The doctors seem very experienced and each has a unique personality, but they are all very nice and professional.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
She always was familiar with my previous treatment and had a plan for future treatment ready to discuss with me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Tammy Enders)
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She always seems very knowledgeable and gets to the point, but she also will take the time to explain and go over things if needed. She's compassionate and will change treatment if needed, and is not afraid to say what she thinks or recommends. She doesn't do a lot of small talk, which was totally fine with me.
She is not going to waste any time, so go to her when you're ready to start discussing treatment.
She started me out on Letrozole, and when I didn't respond as expected (follicles didn't mature on schedule), we moved on to Clomid and Ovidrel. After three unsuccessful IUIs (one resulted in a chemical pregnancy), I did a round with Gonal-F, Cetrotide, and Ovidrel. When that round resulted in a negative pregnancy test (despite several mature follicles prior to trigger), she suggested that we move on to IVF.
Some of my rounds were partially covered by insurance, thanks to a strange loophole. IUI rounds cost a total of around $1000 if paying out of pocket, plus the additional cost for sperm and medications (medicine was usually around $80 for a clomid round, $1600 for a Gonal-F round).
Dr. Couchman STRONGLY recommends only transferring one embryo, citing the higher risks of twins.
Raleigh
[Carolina Conceptions] Strengths: front staff is WONDERFUL, doctors know what they're doing, they are easily accessible. I think they are one of the more popular clinics in the area. Also the financial coordinators are always prepared, and are open and honest. Facility is nice. Weaknesses: can be difficult to see "your" doctor. I have seen Dr. Meyer and the nursing staff more than I've seen Dr. Couchman.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I have never felt like just a number with Dr. Couch man, or anyone else at Carolina Conceptions. She reviewed our prior medical records, recommended additional tests, and recommended a course of treatment.
The one nurse I saw the most often was just ok. She didn't have a very warm demeanor. Other nurses were better.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
We met with Dr. Couchman for an initial consultation, and she was very prepared. She had reviewed our records and made some additional testing recommendations, including some additional blood work and an HSG (we had already had some of the routine testing done - semen analysis, day 21 blood work). Since everything looked good, she recommended a couple trials of IUI. My insurance covered TIC, but not IUI, so we agreed to start with a few rounds of TIC. Those were not successful, so we're now trying IUI with Dr. Meyer. What I most appreciated was, she looked at both of us and assured us that we WOULD get pregnant. She couldn't promise when or how much money it would cost, but she was very confident that it would happen for us. We found this incredibly reassuring. A note: when you go for your baseline ultrasounds for TIC or IUI, and sometimes for your day 12 ultrasound, you will likely see a nurse. If a doctor is available, they may do it, but it can be tough to get your doctor. Truth be told, I have seen Dr. Meyer a lot more than I've seen Dr. Couchman. I think she is probably the more popular doctor, perhaps because women prefer women.
She can be hard to get into, but the other doctors are great as well.
We are dealing with unexplained infertility. She recommended a couple rounds of IUI, but since my insurance covered TIC, we agreed to try that first.
TIC was covered by my insurance, so just had to pay copays for appointments and ultrasounds. Switched to an HSA, so everything is out of pocket now. A visit with a doctor cost me $175. Ultrasounds are about $250, IUI is $500 day of. Total cost for IUI with oral meds is about $1000-$1500. Next month we're going to try IUI with injection medications, and I've been advised that the costs will be $2000-3000.
Raleigh
Everyone here [at Carolina Conceptions] is extremely compassionate and friendly. The atmosphere is calming. They seem to enjoy working there, and together, and I never dreaded an appointment. (I think they put something calming in the air!).... I love the nurses. They always remember my name and are friendly in a genuine way, I always felt comfortable and informed
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Everyone here is extremely compassionate and friendly. The atmosphere is calming. They seem to enjoy working there, and together, and I never dreaded an appointment. (I think they put something calming in the air!)
Dr. Couchman always responded to my emails personally and my interactions with her were always warm and personable. She was careful to tell me exactly what to expect with each phase and I never felt confused or hopeless as I had with my previous doctor.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman is earnest and honest, without coming across as cold or overly clinical. I always felt comfortable in her office. Her warmth and confidence helped to dispel my anxieties (as much as they could be dispelled). She communicated with my partner and I well and I felt good about each decision I made under her care.
Be patient.
With Dr. Couchman, I initially started with timed intercourse coupled with injections (Follistim and Ovidrel? I think). This didn't work, we proceeded to IUI, with injections that were similar to the timed intercourse. We did 2 rounds of IUI (I had already had one unsuccessful IUI with a previous doctor). My partner and I had initially indicated to Dr. Couchman that we didn't want to do IVF, but I changed my mind after the last IUI. She was supportive of both decisions and did not pressure us toward any additional procedures. She gave us ALL the data we could need and helped us make a truly informed decision to proceed. Day after tomorrow I will go do my first implantation. I feel good about it.
It was definitely a well-oiled machine. I never waited long, and they were always aware that I had a classroom waiting for me!
My copay was $70 when I saw a doctor, and $55 for monitoring with a nurse (I think! It's been a while.) The IVF was a package deal, which was great.
She prefers eSET, which I agree with and understand. I would rather have more than one transfer than risk a pregnancy with multiples.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
[Carolina Conceptions] Strengths: Communication, the best front desk staff (friendly, warm), clean and professional environment, extremely experienced, appointments are on time and you are seen quickly, they have office hours early in the morning and on weekends...Strengths: Communication, the best front desk staff (friendly, warm), clean and professional environment, extremely experienced, appointments are on time and you are seen quickly, they have office hours early in the morning and on weekends
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I had severe OHSS twice after retrievals. We were terrified and Dr. Couchman took all our calls, emails and appointment requests immediately. She made us feel like we were her own family that she was caring for. Never once did I feel like she thought we were complaining or overreacting. She treated me twice with IV fluids at the clinic so that we could avoid the ER. When we finally got to our first ultrasound after the transfer, she was just as excited as we were to see our little one there, wiggling around! We would recommend her and the entire Carolina Conceptions Clinic to anyone trying to conceive!
Michele was my main nurse coordinator. I was able to reach her daily via phone or secure email. This was excellent and comforting as we had so many questions and concerns, even after a positive pregnancy! If Michele was not available, I felt completely confident in speaking with any of the other nurses!
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman was extremely confident in our treatment plan and explained every step to us. I felt like we were all part of a team, not like there was some doctor-patient hierarchy and we just did whatever the doctor told us. There was always a clear explanation and we were given time to consider our next step. We never felt pressured or belittled- just part of a team!
Don't be afraid to ask questions- lots of them! Dr. Couchman is so willing to answer anything and help put you at ease!
After a failed IUI cycle due to OHSS, as a team, we decided IVF would be our only option. We closely monitored my injections, beginning slowly so as not to overstimulate. I was seen my Dr. Couchman or one of her colleagues each time I visited the office for monitoring, at Dr. Couchman's request. This was so we could be hyper-vigilant for OHSS. After the retrieval, 48 eggs were collected, 35 were inseminated, and we ended up with 17 embryos at 5 days. Needless to say, I had OHSS. Prior to the retrieval, I was given a Lupron injection to help with the OHSS. After the retrieval, Dr. Couchman required that I be out of work for at LEAST 2 weeks because I was so ill. My husband called almost everyday to check in with her and the nurses, and we were seen immediately several days for IV fluids. Prior to the retrieval, Dr. Couchman and her team strongly recommended that we do a freeze-all to make sure that my body recovered from the retrieval. We felt that we were given the best treatment plan, tailored to us.
In total, including medication, we spent roughly $17,000.
Dr. Couchman recommended that we transfer one embryo but was not opposed to us doing two.
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
I feel that the nurses [at Carolina Conceptions] are great when you are in the clinic. If you call with a question, they can sometimes seem like they are in a rush to get you off the phone. There is one nurse in particular, Terry, that I love to have. She always treats you like you are the most important person in the world and does it with a smile and wonderful attitude!..It is very hard to get up with someone when you have a question. You always have to leave a message and they will call you back. Also, make sure you talk with a financial counselor at their office to make sure you are doing things the best way for your insurance situation.
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Dr. Meyer is very responsive and wants to make sure we are all on the same pag. He always jokes with my husband and remembers us from visit to visit.
I feel that the nurses are great when you are in the clinic. If you call with a question, they can sometimes seem like they are in a rush to get you off the phone. There is one nurse in particular, Terry, that I love to have. She always treats you like you are the most important person in the world and does it with a smile and wonderful attitude!
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
I have been very pleased with my experience as a patient. While we are still in the throes of our treatment, Dr. Meyer has been very open to our opinions and input. I have full faith that we will get pregnant with Dr. Meyer's help, either through injectibles or IVF.
Make sure you take notes and ask questions. I feel like he gives you all the information, but it is in oral form, not written down.
I had previously tried several rounds of Femara and Clomid before seeing Dr. Meyer. We started with an HSG which revealed polyps in my uterus. So my first treatment was a hysteroscopy to remove the polyps. We tried a monitored cycle of Tamoxifen, which yielded no mature eggs. We then did a cycle of Follistim (150 IU daily). This cycle was cancelled after having ten mature follicles on day 12. We will try again next cycle with Follistim but at 75 IU.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
$30K over the course of 2 years with several cycles. However, The clinic [Carolina Conceptions] decided to charge us at in-network even though our provider insurance coverage changed and they were really out-of-network. This was unexpected and very much appreciated. It showed they were there for the long term care and not just the revenue...Michelle, was very attentive and was able to effectively communicate the course of treatment. She was always very responsive when we have follow on questions returning our calls same day. Her ability to teach the different protocols such as injections was very helpful to our overall treatment plan. I would highly recommend her as a case nurse.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Kiesha at the front desk was very personable and nice and showed genuine concern for our overall progress. She was a ray of light as we went through several treatment plans. Always providing an uplifting spirit. Kelly from the Finance/insurance department was very dedicated and on top of our case. We felt we were always in great hands with her I would highly recommend you work with Kelly for all of your financial concerns.
She always reviewed our charts prior to our visits. She established a relationship with us and was very sympathetic to our issues.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Michelle )
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman is extremely qualified in her domain. She was always straight forward and to the point. She always prescribed the appropriate course of action based on our particular situation. She clearly explained the pros and cons and elicited our input into the course of treatment.
She is very supportive and has the appropriate level of bed side manners while being very straight forward in her assessment and plan.
$30K over the course of 2 years with several cycles. However, The clinic decided to charge us at in-network even though our provider insurance coverage changed and they were really out-of-network. This was unexpected and very much appreciated. It showed they were there for the long term care and not just the revenue.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
The office [Carolina Conceptions] is neat and clean. The receptionists are very friendly and helpful. It is difficult to reach anyone when you call. So be prepared to leave a detailed message and wait for someone to call you back. The billing part was a little frustrating at first, but the staff who work in that department are friendly and helpful. I was a little disappointed in the lack of donors available in the clinic's database and also disappointed that no one told me where to find other donors. I had to go online and figure that out for myself. I had to pay a hefty deposit just to get a password to use the database, only to find out that there are only a handful of donors who are qualified to participate in a shared cycle. I was very pleased that Carolina Conceptions was willing to refund that deposit when we decided to use another database to find a donor. For us, the hardest part of our journey was finding a donor and getting our finances together. Once we found our donor, things moved very quickly.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The office is neat and clean. The receptionists are very friendly and helpful. It is difficult to reach anyone when you call. So be prepared to leave a detailed message and wait for someone to call you back. The billing part was a little frustrating at first, but the staff who work in that department are friendly and helpful. I was a little disappointed in the lack of donors available in the clinic's database and also disappointed that no one told me where to find other donors. I had to go online and figure that out for myself. I had to pay a hefty deposit just to get a password to use the database, only to find out that there are only a handful of donors who are qualified to participate in a shared cycle. I was very pleased that Carolina Conceptions was willing to refund that deposit when we decided to use another database to find a donor. For us, the hardest part of our journey was finding a donor and getting our finances together. Once we found our donor, things moved very quickly.
Dr. Couchman was friendly and had a great bedside manner. She remembered not only details about my past fertility issues, but also details about my personal life that I had shared with her. She took the time to explain ALL treatment options and not just those that she felt would be most successful. Dr. Couchman made sure that all of our questions were answered. If I had any questions after I left the clinic, I was able to email her and get a response.
Nothing really stands out about my experience with the nursing staff. I saw a different nurse each time. I didn't have any bad experiences, but I didn't have any that stood out either.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman is very blunt. If you're sensitive and your feelings are easily hurt, you may not appreciate this and should consider seeing a different doctor. Personally, this is one of the things I like about Dr. Couchman. She explained my fertility issues and ALL treatment options in great detail. She gave her opinion about which option would work best for us, and she encouraged us to go home and take our time discussing these options. My husband and I never felt like we were being rushed or pressured into choosing one treatment over another.
She is very straightforward. If you have any questions, make a list and come prepared. She's great at reading body language and will be able to pick up on any reluctance or hesitation that you may have. She won't move forward with treatment until she's 100% sure that your ready and that she has your trust.
We tried 3 cycles with Clomid while waiting for test results. None of these cycles were successful. I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve, poor egg quality, endometriosis, and a blocked fallopian tube, which had to be removed. My husband has low sperm count and varicocele. We were told that our best chance of conceiving would be through IVF. Dr. Couchman said that we could try using my eggs, but she felt that we'd have a better chance of conceiving if we used donor eggs. We were told that if we chose to use my eggs that we should be prepared to spend a lot of time and money on the process. My husband and I decided that we had spent more than enough time trying to get pregnant, and we didn't have an unlimited amount of money to spend on something that would more than likely fail. We decided to try IVF using donor eggs. This wasn't an easy decision, but we felt it was the best option for us. I have 3 children from a previous marriage, but my husband has none that are biologically his. I know what it's like to have children that are genetically mine, and I wanted him to experience that same joy. Due to our financial situation, we decided to share a donor with another couple. We selected a donor using the clinic's database, but we waited for another couple for several months with no luck. After growing impatient, we found a donor using a frozen egg bank that we found online. Once we notified the clinic that we had found a donor, things moved very quickly. I found my donor in February, and I started taking birth control pills in March to prepare my body for a transfer in April. I can't remeber the exact timing and details, but I also had to take estrogen pills and progesterone injections at some point. I also had to go in several times for bloodwork and for an ultrasound to check my uterine lining before the transfer. We started with 8 eggs, and 3 of them made it to day 5. We decided to transfer 2 embryos and freeze 1 embryo. Dr. Couchman was not present for the transfer, but Dr. Bowling was. I had to continue the progesterone injections after the transfer, but I can't remember the exact timing. It may have been for about 10 weeks, but I can't remember. I went to the clinic 8 days after the transfer for bloodwork, which revealed that our 1st attempt was successful! We started our journey at Carolina Conceptions in May 2016, and we now have 5 month old twins.
I can't remember the exact costs. I know that I had to pay for a hsg, office visits, an ultrasound, and lab work that wasn't covered by my insurance. I was given a discount for having no insurance. I'm sure that I easily spent a couple thousand dollars on all of that. We found our donor at an online site for a frozen egg bank, and we used a single cycle guarantee that they were offering. Therefore, we didn't directly pay Carolina Conceptions for our IVF cycle.
We were allowed to choose wether or not we wanted to transfer 1 embryo or 2 embryos. Our doctor seemed confident that the transfer would be successful either way. She also made sure that we were well aware of the possible complications associated with carrying and delivering multiples.
PCOS, Unexplained
Extremely unhappy with clarity around finances and visibility into options [at Carolina Conceptions]... If it is my responbility to make the choice, they should give me the prescription, or at least confirm that I want my Rx filled by their suggested pharmacy. It's poor practice to make the choice for someone, give no visibility into the options or even what's being ordered, then tell the patient it's their responsibility to choose with ZERO information. Given this experience, I now question the accuracy of any information provided (it's a slippery slope). The office has also said there's nothing they are willing to do from their side (not willing to discount their fees at all).
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Extremely unhappy with clarity around finances and visibility into options. I was told I MUST use Cigna pharmacy for my specialty prescriptions and was never given the option to select my own pharmacy or given my prescription to even do price checking. Turns out Cigna was the most expensive option which results in me being out of pocket by few thousand dollars extra. After calling the doctors office, I'm being told that it's my responsibility to choose which pharmacy. However, I was never given the information to chose and was flat out told I MUST use Cigna! I absolutely get that the dr office can't know what's going on in the gazillion flavors of insurance that are out there, and I certainly don't expect them to be experts in insurance. However, I do expect transparency and accurate information. If it is my responbility to make the choice, they should give me the prescription, or at least confirm that I want my Rx filled by their suggested pharmacy. It's poor practice to make the choice for someone, give no visibility into the options or even what's being ordered, then tell the patient it's their responsibility to choose with ZERO information. Given this experience, I now question the accuracy of any information provided (it's a slippery slope). The office has also said there's nothing they are willing to do from their side (not willing to discount their fees at all).
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
don't feel strongly one way or the other. clinically seemed ok, could be more specific. Ex told me at the beginning we could do one or 2 embryo transfers, but then when go to plan the transfer, told could only do one despite knowing upfront that I'd do PGS testing
All up ~$25k
2012 - 2017
6 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Doctor's and nurses [at Carolina Conceptions] communicated everything we needed to know very well. Quick response time to calls/emails. Can email your doctor directly with concerns or questions and they respond promptly. help guide you in making hard decisions by providing factual statistics and information. Always presented us with different options and the pros and cons of each. I felt like we were easily making informed decisions, even if they were difficult. I saw Dr. Couchman, Dr. Meyer, and Dr. Park, and would recommend each one of these providers. Nursing staff was kind and compassionate. The front desk and office employees knew me by name when walking in. And the finance employees were always warm and helpful.
2012 - 2017
6 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
compassionate, caring, cutting edge treatments. Doctor's and nurses communicated everything we needed to know very well. Quick response time to calls/emails. Can email your doctor directly with concerns or questions and they respond promptly. help guide you in making hard decisions by providing factual statistics and information. Always presented us with different options and the pros and cons of each. I felt like we were easily making informed decisions, even if they were difficult. I saw Dr. Couchman, Dr. Meyer, and Dr. Park, and would recommend each one of these providers. Nursing staff was kind and compassionate. The front desk and office employees knew me by name when walking in. And the finance employees were always warm and helpful.
Dr. Couchman new me and my situation throughout my treatment. She listened to concerns. And was available via email at nearly any time of day. She would even respond to my questions while on vacation. When I gave birth to my daughter after many years of infertility, she was very invested in seeing pictures and learning about her. It was clear she cared.
Terry Hunter is a wonderful nurse. Compassionate, explains the processes well and as many times as you need. Promptly returns emails and phone calls. Always described what we could expect from each process.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman was completely invested in our treatment. It was clear she wanted the best outcome for us. She was direct and explained things clearly and as many times as we needed. She ALWAYS responded to emails I sent her, even while she was on vacation. She goes out of her way to help us succeed.
Dr. Couchman is a great doctor who is very invested in her patients.
Raleigh
The clinic [Carolina Conceptions] is always on time, which is only a bad thing if you are the patient which has to be rushed. The front desk staff and financial staff seemed to remember me more than the nurses or doctor...[Nursing] Strengths: Kind, friendly Weakness: Rushed, not always organized - Once, I had an entire monitoring visit completed when the nurse realized that she was looking at someone else's chart... Also, one of the nurses expressed her disapproval of me going through the IVF process with no intensions of marrying my boyfriend.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic is always on time, which is only a bad thing if you are the patient which has to be rushed. The front desk staff and financial staff seemed to remember me more than the nurses or doctor.
I was never pressured into or out of a treatment plan.
Strengths: Kind, friendly Weakness: Rushed, not always organized - Once, I had an entire monitoring visit completed when the nurse realized that she was looking at someone else's chart. She was not looking for the correct things and had to redo the ultrasound. Also, one of the nurses expressed her disapproval of me going through the IVF process with no intensions of marrying my boyfriend.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Meyer was always positive. I remember my first visit where he told me that I should not have any problems conceiving with the first treatment, which was great...until I did. I saw him cycle after cycle over a year's time. The positivity gave me false hope, especially when he did not thoroughly read my chart/history before the appointment. Several times I had to wait and watch him skim through the chart. It may have been more appropriate to do so prior to walking into the appointment. I still wonder if the course of treatment would have changed if he had been more informed about my history.
Ask questions.
It has been a while since my last treatment and well over a year since I started. I am unsure of my diagnosis, but it was believe that I do not ovulate on a regular basis. My GYN believed that I suffered from PCOS, but Dr. Meyer never talked about that. I was considered young at 30. We started with oral medication to stimulate my ovaries (timed intercourse method). Many follicles were produced but they were very little. We moved to stronger injectable medicine (follistim/gonal f) that would do the same thing in a bigger way. I consistently produced one to two follicles that were the appropriate size for a trigger shot to release them in time for intercourse. However to this day, I still feel like those one to two follicles were actually cysts. I always have a few cysts, but the nurses could not distinguish them from actual follicles once they grew to a certain size. After multiple cycles, we decided on IVF. The same injectable stimulating medicines were used but at a higher dosage prior to egg retrieval. We froze seven embryos, described to us as good quality. We felt pressured by the staff to only transfer one embryo, so we did. It failed.
My initial treatments were covered by insurance, so several copays of $40. Insurance would not cover any IUI or IVF. I did not try IUI. For single IVF, I believe that I paid $14,000 not including monitoring or prescriptions. Monitoring was $300-$400 per visit and I remember having 4 visits. Medication was probably around $5,000.
We felt pressured to transfer one embryo. It wasn't discussed and explained to me until I was in scrubs and waiting in triage for the transfer. It was uncomfortable and we only heard statistics that were pro single. We used the best grade and only transferred one.
Raleigh
The nursing staff [at Carolina Conceptions] was helpful will the process of ordering the medications, from the call ins to the pharmacy to sending in additional prescriptions to explaining the process of how it all works. Most of the nurses I saw were empathetic during my treatment cycles. They were friendly each time I was there lending a smile or a hello how are you... They were attentive if you needed anything or didn't understand a protocol they would be patient and explain it to you in terms you could understand without any hesitations.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The doctors are competent they are all friendly, knowledgeable and willing to work with each couple on coming up with the best treatment plan. Not once did I feel like I was being pushed into something I didn't want to do. Each time I was seen I was always told to please call them at anytime with any other questions I may have and they would be happy to help me. I was able to reach out to Dr. Couchman by email with questions too and she would always respond in a timely manner. All the doctors want the same thing and that is to help every couple that comes through their doors to take a baby home. It is such a blessing to be in a place where they have the same goals as you do.
I felt like a human because of her empathetic communication style - she was able to understand and share the feelings we were having during each cycle.
The nursing staff was helpful will the process of ordering the medications, from the call ins to the pharmacy to sending in additional prescriptions to explaining the process of how it all works. Most of the nurses I saw were empathetic during my treatment cycles. They were friendly each time I was there lending a smile or a hello how are you... They were attentive if you needed anything or didn't understand a protocol they would be patient and explain it to you in terms you could understand without any hesitations.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman was always willing to listen to us first, she heard our story as to why we were seeking out a second opinion without any judgement. She did interject along the way to ask more in depth questions but she showed empathy toward us. She gave us hope even after one miscarriage that we could become pregnant again. Anything we wanted to try she was willing to work with us to come up with the best treatment plan each time. She referred to us by our names and when I would come to the practice for monitoring and was seen by another doctor but saw her in the hallway she would give me a warm friendly smile and say hello!
Don't be afraid to speak out and share what you really feel is best for you. She will respond with empathy.
Based on my history and lab test results she had me start at a mid range level of IU's for the main drug I took during the first 7 days of the cycle but when I came in for my first monitoring appointment she would readjust it if deemed necessary. In my first cycle I had to order another vial of the second drug to give my follicles a little more time to grow and also to make sure I didn't ovulate to early.
I was told insurance would cover up to three cycles of medications, which they were with only co-pays. I also had coverage for monitoring and blood work. The cycle for IUI was out of pocket since this wasn't coverage from the insurance company so we paid for the monitoring and blood work. However we were aware of this thanks to the awesome financial counselors.
2013 - 2017
I really like the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions. Some are friendlier than others...I have always had a good experience with Carolina Conceptions... We came back and decided to try IVF. We had 9 follicles. From there we had 4 embryos. By day 5 we only had 2 embryos and they were not as developed as they hoped, but still growing. So we transferred 2. We got a negative pregnancy test.
2013 - 2017
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I have always had a good experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Dr Couchman has always taken her time with me and my husband. She has always been very easy to talk to.
I really like the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions. Some are friendlier than others. But that will be anywhere you go.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
From the very beginning we have found it easy to talk with Dr Couchman. Going through this process has been mentally exhausting. Dr Couchman has sat and talked with us numerous times and I have never felt rushed or like we were just another patient. I feel like she has a very realistic professional opinion. She doesnt sugarcoat anything but she still has comforting way of talking with you.
You won't always see Dr Couchman at every visit. I wasn't used to this at first. But I do feel comfortable with everyone in the practice.
We first tried medication (I don't remember what we used) and did timed intercourse. After the negative pregnancy test we decided to do an IUI. We did two IUI's that both resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We tried a third IUI but I had no follicles that time. She told us to proceed with timed intercourse. That ended with a negative pregnancy test. We took some time off after that. We came back and decided to try IVF. We had 9 follicles. From there we had 4 embryos. By day 5 we only had 2 embryos and they were not as developed as they hoped, but still growing. So we transferred 2. We got a negative pregnancy test.
Insurance paid for up to three IUI's. We had to pay out of pocket for IVF.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Strengths [of Carolina Conceptions] are many as they respond to you quickly, care about the whole family, give detailed information and make sure its understandable as well as make sure you are comfortable with the treatment aspects. I have no weaknesses to mention. Everyone there has been wonderful, even the financial people.... They were understanding with my situation, but didn't become overly personal. They each made my time there more enjoyable
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Strengths are many as they respond to you quickly, care about the whole family, give detailed information and make sure its understandable as well as make sure you are comfortable with the treatment aspects. I have no weaknesses to mention. Everyone there has been wonderful, even the financial people.
He is quick to respond and makes sure my partner and I fully understand what is going on.
They were understanding with my situation, but didn't become overly personal. They each made my time there more enjoyable.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
He is straightforward but gives you the information in an as kind as possible way. He followed up on all procedures and would verify and check everything prior to giving recommendations. Coming from another doctor he listened to each of my concerns and personally addressed each one giving recommendations and or corrections to the information. I love how quickly he worked with me and his concern with my family when surgery was required.
I would say be prepared to not have sugar coated information. He presents all options to you and he is not pushy about which one to follow. He provides guidance.
Coming from other dr and voicing my concerns he completed an HSG. Discovered one tube had fluid and the other was blocked. Surgery was recommended. The surgery resulted in removal of both tubes due to the damage along with scar tissue. From the surgery he was able to see how large my fibriod was and recommended its removal as it was 7cm large. Once that surgery was completed and I had healed, Dr. Meyer recommended IVF as my partner and I wanted to try as my ovaries are still in good shape. We are currently waiting to start the process.
For each visit I had a copay of 70 dollars. During the surgery my cost was 800 dollars. Our cost for the IVF treatment is to be around 8000 dollars, not including medicine.
We have not reached this point. They typically recommend no more than 2.
IVF, Donor Eggs
The receptionists [at Carolina Conceptions] keep changing for this year. Unfortunately new receptionists aren't always aware of patient log ins. I had to wait more than 20+ minutes once agent everyone after me was already seen before my log in was seen... She's [a nurse] perky and quick to reply to any question. As a first time pregnant person, I asked a lot of seemingly idiotic questions that other already with kids people know.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The receptionists keep changing for this year. Unfortunately new receptionists aren't always aware of patient log ins. I had to wait more than 20+ minutes once agent everyone after me was already seen before my log in was seen
She listened and considered certain reservations I had especially since I've had a slightly conservative upbringing. Also had qualms regarding surgery though she called me about the need and did try to check if it could be avoided, but ultimately had to be done. During our loss, she was very sympathetic and didn't pressure us on whay next step. Advising us to take our time to heal before talking with her again on what we wanted to do next.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Michele)
She's perky and quick to reply to any question. As a first time pregnant person, I asked a lot of seemingly idiotic questions that other already with kids people know.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
She listened and she explained things clearly. Just wish that consistent in who I saw each check up. During our loss she didn't stress us to decide and when asked that's when she told us what options to take depending on what we wanted, consistent with our beliefs. She also advised us to take time to heal before we inform what next step we wanted, to try again or to stop, was pour choice. She didn't say it out, it was obviously implied. She was sensitive and caring.
She's very experienced, but also very busy. You have to specify that she will do all the follow up check ups unless it's ok to get the other doctors.
Age was a factor for our decision and time. I have a condition that makes me irregular and if we insisted on own eggs out might not have worked out even given time to try to harvest, if any will. Plus the possibility of disorders.
A lot
Raleigh
They are very compassionate nurses [at Carolina Conceptions]. They understand what we are there for and they show empathy. They are always on time, and answer questions appropriately- always with a smile....Strengths- they do whatever they can to get you seen. Appointments are easy to make....After my first appointment, we tried pills, injections, and multiple ultrasounds. It failed.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
He talked to me as a person. He knew my history, and offered options. Never once did I feel rushed or unsure about our conversations.
They are very compassionate nurses. They understand what we are there for and they show empathy. They are always on time, and answer questions appropriately- always with a smile.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Meyer showed compassion and understood my issues. He was able to give me multiple options for treatment. He was blunt, and to the point. I prefer my doctors to be that way. I am a nurse, and I understand a lot of medical lingo- and he talked to me like a nurse, and I appreciated that. He said whenever my husband and I are ready, he is ready to start the IVF process. Explained risks and complications. He reviewed charts and clinical information and statistics with me.
"You better be ready!"
After my first appointment, we tried pills, injections, and multiple ultrasounds. It failed. I was very discouraged. I then made an appointment with Dr. Meyer when we were ready again- this time, he offered IVF. It sounds great, if we had finances to cover it... We are trying to figure out how we can afford it, and afford caring for a baby after! It is discouraging, but I know some how, it will happen.
With insurance, out of pocket cost for a consultation visit was $130. I was there less than 1 hour. I spoke with the financial director, and she stated my insurance will cover a majority of the IVF procedure, but there would not be enough to cover medications necessary for IVF. Out of pocket cost for the procedure will be a little over $3,000; and another approximate $7,000-$10,000 for medication cost.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
The woman at the front desk [at Carolina Conceptions] has been somewhat abrasive to me on several occasions, even to the point of my delaying the start of treatment with the office for almost 8 months because of her rudeness. She was very unaccommodating when I explained my schedule as a teacher 30 minutes away, especially in regards to my difficulty and inflexibility with scheduling. However, everyone else on the staff is extremely considerate, informative, and accommodating!
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The woman at the front desk has been somewhat abrasive to me on several occasions, even to the point of my delaying the start of treatment with the office for almost 8 months because of her rudeness. She was very unaccommodating when I explained my schedule as a teacher 30 minutes away, especially in regards to my difficulty and inflexibility with scheduling. However, everyone else on the staff is extremely considerate, informative, and accommodating!
Dr. Bowling is THE BEST! She has always been willing to spend extra time with me if I need it, explain procedures and symptoms extremely thoroughly, and spend time getting to know my husband and me, including our desires and preferences for treatment. I've never felt pressured to do a procedure, or to take things faster than I preferred. I have always felt very well cared for by both nurses and physicians alike!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Terri)
Terri is THE BEST!!!!! Actually, every nurse I've seen has been amazing, but Terri has been so incredibly helpful every step of the way! As a teacher who works 30 minutes from the office, Terri was able to leave extremely detailed voicemails when I couldn't answer the phone, and meet with me in the hallways after visits to address any questions or concerns. She's been so incredibly helpful and informative, plus I love that she is very straight forward in her communication. She is not wanting to waste anyone's time, and I so appreciate her!!!
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Bowling is extremely personable, knowledgeable, and friendly. She has taken the time to sit and talk with me several times, even when it may have been inconvenient for her. When I had questions and reservations about the next steps for our fertility journey, she was able to talk me through each step, making sure that I fully understood everything and felt comfortable as we went. She reassured me of my risks, offered practical advice about next steps, and was patient as my husband and I decided. We are hoping to begin the IVF process this summer, and it is largely because of her ability to comfort my concerns and address my needs as an individual, rather than as a statistic. I've been to other fertility clinics in the area and felt very un-heard, rushed, and valued only as a statistic in their office results. Dr. Bowling is NOTHING like that! I have loved every appointment I've had with her and it truly is because of her that we are planning to proceed with IVF to grow our family when I had previously rejected the idea of IVF altogether.
Ask questions! She is patient and willing to answer every concern, and is so sweet and knowledgeable as she answers!
We started with basic hormone pills (Letrozole), then adjusted to try to trigger a greater response when we didn't see the follicles we wanted. Then, Dr. Bowling added a small steroid to help the growth of the follicles on my left side because it wasn't responding as well--and we saw great results with that! Then, we did an HSG test to check for scar tissue from a previous ectopic pregnancy, and that is when Dr. Bowling diagnosed the tubal blockage on the right side. From there, we also discussed that my condition is not-quite PCOS, and Dr. Bowling explaining that because of the tubal blockage + ovary dysfunction, our chances of getting pregnant through TIC or IUI were extremely low. Dr. Bowling then met with me for nearly an hour to discuss both IVF and embryo adoption, giving me the time and space to process all the information. Our next steps will be to begin the IVF process this summer, when I am not teaching.
All nurse visits were approx. $35, but doctor visits were $85. Prescriptions were varying in prices, but most of the pills were fairly affordable. The Ovidrel was expensive, but mostly due to my insurance. About to start IVF and were quoted at roughly $18,000 for the procedure + medications.
Since we haven't started the IVF process yet, I don't know definitively, but she has definitely recommended that we are more conservative early on because I am just now 30 and there is not much of a reason to be overly aggressive.
Raleigh
They [Carolina Conceptions] are always very nice and on time. Even if you go really early before your appointment time they try to squeeze you in so you are not waiting long. The font desk staff are also very kind and know that you are properly stressed over the treatment at hand. I would recommend this office to anyone.... The nurse staff is very nice and knowledgeable. The answered all questions you had at the time of the appointment, If they had any questions they would take to a Doctor right away. I felt very comfortable with each nurse I saw.
European, Other
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
They are always very nice and on time. Even if you go really early before your appointment time they try to squeeze you in so you are not waiting long. The font desk staff are also very kind and know that you are properly stressed over the treatment at hand. I would recommend this office to anyone.
Any time I contact Dr. Meyer he was quick to respond. He would then put me in contact with who in the office I needed to speak with in order to start my next process. When speaking with him in the office he always gave me his undivided attention. His main goal is to get me pregnant and I have confidence he will succeed.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
I have only been a patient of Dr. Meyer for a year now. I have not had success with getting pregnant yet but I hope we are on the right track to do so. We have goals and testing that I need to complete with my next cycle. I have full trust in Dr. Meyer and any other Dr in this practice, since I have spoken with each of them. This process is not cheap so being in the right hands is very crucial.
Make sure you get that one on one time with him at the beginning and go with any questions you might have about now and future procedures. Game plan if you want to call it. Also don't be afraid to email him if you have questions or do not understand something. I find email is one of the best ways to get a quick response. He will answer any questions you have or point you to his staff to help fulfill your need or to start the next process with whatever he suggest.
So far I have only been through 3 failed timed intercourse with medication (shots). I would go in for ultrasounds almost every 3 days. Depending on what part of my cycle would depend on if I saw Dr Meyer, a nurse, or another Dr if Dr. Meyer was unavailable. They guided me each step of the way through the cycle. Even though I have had 3 failed cycles with timed intercourse I am ready for the next plan of action. Next will be the HSG testing to make sure my tubes are open. We will see where this goes
As of right now my insurance helped with the last 3 cycles, so i paid my copay. My future procedures will be out of pocket so it will be expensive. I will have to do a little at a time, or take out a loan for a full cycle. I have not gotten to the point of figuring it out yet.
Raleigh
We were offered a special rate [at Carolina Conceptions] for IVF because they consider me to be a "service worker."...I think Carolina Conceptions does a great job trying to educate their patients. The financial department has been helpful along the way as we have dealt with insurance. The front desk receptionists are always quick to help however they are able. The female receptionist knows my name when I walk in the door. She is always polite and super sweet.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
She seems to know me and be familiar with my medical history. She made recommendations based on that.
I've mostly seen nurses to check follicles, so there isn't a whole lot to share. They are knowledgeable and if they have questions, they consult the doctor. I've been pleased thus far.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman has been great. I've sat in her office in her office for several consultations. She has been patient and understanding as we have asked questions and made decisions. Dr. Couchman has made sure that we are well informed. I've never felt dumb asking her questions. She has taught as much as she has supported. While she has recommended specific treatment, she has never been pushy. She has allowed us to walk through this journey at our own pace. I am so appreciate of the care she has provided.
Dr. Couchman is not always warm and fuzzy, but that doesn't mean she doesn't care. She shows that she cares through her knowledge and supportive nature.
Dr. Couchman has pretty much let us dictate what we want to do. At this point we've only tried medicated IUIs with injectable medications. One cycle I produced a high number of follicles, so she suggest that we use a lower dosage of Follistim for the next round. We are thinking about starting and IVF cycle in the summer and she has been very upfront with the fact that we may not need a lot of medication because I tend to respond well to lower doses.
I honestly cannot remember. Some of our IUIs were covered under insurance, and some were not. We were offered a special rate for IVF because they consider me to be a "service worker."
If she has a preference, I'm not 100 percent sure. I imagine that it would be a single due to the lower risk factors. We have not yet crossed that bridge, so we will probably discuss it further in future appointments.
Raleigh
We tried IUI first [at Carolina Conceptions] then moved to IVF (which is where we are currently). My husband had a low sperm count which involved us working to increase his count majority of 2016. From there we tried one attempt at IUI which was unsuccessful. I received advice from Dr Meyer and friends to move forward with IVF if our budget allowed. After 3 years of trying to start a family, I had hit my limit of seeing negative pregnancy test.
Dr Meyer is extremely knowledgeable and easy to work with. When I, or my husband, have questions he is quick to respond via email and extremely patient when in person. I appreciate his honesty and candidness.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Tammy)
Extremely helpful
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Extremely positive experience! He shared all options with us and continues to support us through this process. We have been working with Dr Meyer directly for almost 2 years. This process has been longer due to personal obstacles vs anything directly with CC. Dr Meyer has been an amazing support system and doctor for us both.
Dr Meyer is great at what he does! If you want someone to hold your hand, cry with you, and "baby step" you through this process, he is not your man. If you want honesty, candidness and to get the end results you will not be disappointed with Dr Meyer! I came in to CC looking for an action plan to start my family and Dr Meyer is helping us lay out the process! :)
We tried IUI first then moved to IVF (which is where we are currently). My husband had a low sperm count which involved us working to increase his count majority of 2016. From there we tried one attempt at IUI which was unsuccessful. I received advice from Dr Meyer and friends to move forward with IVF if our budget allowed. After 3 years of trying to start a family, I had hit my limit of seeing negative pregnancy test. IVF appears to be the best path for us as we begin that journey this month. Dr Meyer was extremely helpful in laying out the expectations and process. I have faith we are in the best hands and that along with much prayer and Dr Meyer we will be pregnant by the end of 2017.
We discussed all options. He shared the pro's and con's of each. We have not made a decision one way or the other but I believe when the time comes to decide all options will be revisited between me, my husband & Dr Meyer collaboratively.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
All the Doctors at Carolina Conceptions are update on the newest protocols and off label use for fertility treatments. Don't be afraid to suggest a different protocol to be used because we all don't react the same way to a prescribed protocol... I decided the best option was the CC Refund Plan ($22, 800). This did not include the egg donor fee of $6,000 and associated drugs approximately $2,000 to $3,000. the first donor there were only 2 viable embryos for transfer and I became pregnant; however, had a miscarriage. I decided to try again and paid another $6,000 plus drugs for a new egg donor...Terry gave me my lessons on how to do the injections 2 times. Tammy or Terry would always response to my emails of questions I had in a reasonable amount of time.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I went to another IVF clinic in Raleigh before going to CC. Once I came off the elevators, I knew this was the right place. The front staff, nurses and doctors all made you feel comfortable and answered any questions I had. I like the fact they are opened early in the AM and I could be seen early so I wouldn't have to take time off of work for my appointments.
I knew when I walked into Carolina Conceptions that this was the place I would start my journey of becoming pregnant. Dr. Couchman was very nice and went over my medical history. I felt very comfortable with her and our discussion of using donor eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: I worked with Tammy or Terry)
All the nursing staff was always nice and friendly when I came in for visits. Terry gave me my lessons on how to do the injections 2 times. Tammy or Terry would always response to my emails of questions I had in a reasonable amount of time.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Even though I had suffered a set back, Dr. Couchman always listened to my concerns and ideas for a different protocol. She considered them and allowed me to try different protocols to try to get my endometrial lining thicker.
All the Doctors at Carolina Conceptions are update on the newest protocols and off label use for fertility treatments. Don't be afraid to suggest a different protocol to be used because we all don't react the same way to a prescribed protocol. Dr. Couchman will listen and discuss your options with you to determine the best protocol to use.
I was using BCP, progesterone Ethyl Oleate, estrogen pills/patches and I became pregnant with the first transfer; however, had a miscarriage After having a D&C, my lining wasn't the same. It just didn't look as thick as it did before the D&C. I was approximately 6 mm when I got pregnant the first time. We tried doing a cycle with follistim with sildenafil which didn't work in getting my lining thicker. Then we tried trental on my last cycle and even though my lining didn't seem to be more than 6mm, we were successful in getting and maintaining a pregnancy.
I spent approximately $40,000. I decided the best option was the CC Refund Plan ($22, 800). This did not include the egg donor fee of $6,000 and associated drugs approximately $2,000 to $3,000. the first donor there were only 2 viable embryos for transfer and I became pregnant; however, had a miscarriage. I decided to try again and paid another $6,000 plus drugs for a new egg donor. This donor produced 7 viable embryos and had them transferred 2, 2, and 3 for the last transfer. I now have a beautiful baby.
Raleigh
The entire staff [at Carolina Conceptions] knew who I was and always greeted me with a smile and askes how I was doing...The one thing that was missed was that I was a cystic fibrosis carrier. This may have been overlooked because I had been to another facility for treatment...I saw a few different nurses, but all were attentive. The nurse that did the medication training was excellent...he strength was the welcoming environment and the clear display of medical knowledge amongst all staff at the practice.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The strength was the welcoming environment and the clear display of medical knowledge amongst all staff at the practice. I am not sure there was a weakness that was eveident in my treatment from the clinic.
Dr. Meyers sat with us during our initial consult and listened. He allowed us to share our journey before sharing anything about how he would treat us even though he could have started there. Anytime we had a question there was an immediate response. Beyond Dr. Meyers the entire staff knew who I was and always greeted me with a smile and askes how I was doing.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Meyers was a good listener and made sure he was matching our needs with his medical expertise. After sharing out previous experience I asked what he would do differently and he took us step by step through the difference. He clearly explained all of the procedures he proposed and told us why he proposed them. Dr. Meyers also introduced is to the lead doctor in the lab and explained to us he could work with what we had. That was comforting.
I would say listen to him. I felt his medical knowledge was superior and up to date with most recent developments in the world of infertility.
The reason we came to Dr. Meyers was for male infertility. He made sure with the low sperm count conception was a possibility. We started me on the lowest dose of medications as my husband began to bank. I had the egg retrieval followed by the embryos freeze. The one thing that Dr. Meyers highly recommended was chromosomal testing. We had not previously done this and he very clearly explained how this would benefit us. After the testing we had 2 healthy embryos and together we decided on using one. The transfer was done and it was successful,
We used a package option. Total costs were about $19,000.
Dr. Meyers did what we wanted based on the fact we stated we really only wanted one child.
Raleigh
Dr. Meyer [at Carolina Conceptions] treated me as he would his daughter. I felt he truly understood my frustration in the process and took every opportunity to explain what would happen next. His beside manner made me feel that I was going to be ok. When things did not go accordingly to plan, he researched and pushed procedures that weren't scheduled through fast so there was no waiting for an answer.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic is clean, welcoming and the staff is very friendly.
Dr. Meyer treated me as he would his daughter. I felt he truly understood my frustration in the process and took every opportunity to explain what would happen next. His beside manner made me feel that I was going to be ok. When things did not go accordingly to plan, he researched and pushed procedures that weren't scheduled through fast so there was no waiting for an answer.
Tammy was my cheerleader during this process. She was always the one calling even though she didn't see me that morning. She was the one to call and give me the good news and was geniunely excited.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Meyer took every opportunity to help and make sure that the procedures were successful. We did not end up getting pregnant due to miscarriage but after he found out, he called personally to check on me and tell me when I was ready, to come back in. He emailed, phoned, and always popped his head in the exam room each ultrasound to check on the progress during the process.
Dr. Meyer has a sense of humor and is always just a phone call away. He made me feel like I was the only patient and made sure we found the source of the problem.
I was involved in a study for ivf and thought the real problem was unexplained infertility and it still is but during the course of treatment it was discovered I have a defect in my c-section scar from my first pregnancy. Dr. Meyer scheduled a hysteroscopy within the next four days and had devised a treatment plan fast. Since I had missed the window for the 3 day transfer, I was scheduled for a frozen transfer cycle and follow the protocol. I did get pregnant but unfortunately lost the pregnancy.
Since I was apart of a study, the initial cost was significantly less that we were told. For a frozen transfer, it was around $5,000 total and the stuffy payment was $2900.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
The front office staff is a strength--very positive, compassionate, and professional. Everyone involved with patient care has a calm positive attitude. I have been nothing but happy with the way I've been treated (medically and personally) throughout the time I've been at Carolina Conceptions...The nursing staff was very positive and encouraging without being overbearing. Every nurse was professional and showed me the screen as she did my ultrasound.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Dr. Couchman sat with me and went through every question I had written down--in fact, she welcomed the research I had done ahead of time. At every turn, she was validating and warm and encouraging. My husband and I have both been impressed with Dr. Couchman's bedside manner (office-side manner?) throughout our experiences with her.
The nursing staff was very positive and encouraging without being overbearing. Every nurse was professional and showed me the screen as she did my ultrasound. It was clear that they wanted me to feel involved and empowered as I went through this un-empowering process (infertility).
How was your experience with Grace Couchman at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman has made time for me on every appointment I've had with her (3 within seven months). She would lay out a course of treatment, make sure I understood the plan, and answered each and every question I had. If I needed her input (I changed medications at the recommendation of my thyroid-endocrinologist) I was able to get her voicemail and she called me back personally. She is knowledgeable and patient, and I have always felt informed, empowered, and validated.
She is willing to sit with you and go through your list of questions--come prepared! She will not dismiss anything as a silly question.
I did three cycles of Timed Intercourse with letrozole (femara). I responded to the medication (one large follicle each cycle), and used ovidrel as the trigger shot. Once it was clear that that was not working, we tried one IUI, with the rationale that this has a higher success rate, and that I was responding well to the letrozole (one appropriately sized follicle each cycle). Once that didn't work, the discussion became about the advantages of multiple IUI's vs. the higher odds of IVF (I am a teacher, and will be taking advantage of the teacher discount offered by Carolina Conceptions). My husband and I tried one round of combination oral and injection medications (follistim) but were unsuccessful, despite producing 2 good sized follicles. We are moving on to IVF this summer.
With insurance, monitoring was between $30 and $40 per visit, but I don't remember what it was without insurance. I know that our IUI was around 700 including monitoring.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
[The nurses at Carolina Conceptions were] Very nice and organized. Few times nurses did a vaginal ultrasound on me and I felt very comfortable in their knowledge. They seemed very sincere knowing that the results was not what I was expecting or wanting to hear...Strengths: everybody from the receptionist, nurses and the doctors are extremely nice. They truly show they care and understand the roller coaster the couples go through. The receptiobist remember you by name which puts you at a very comfortable environment and they treat you like a real patient and not just a number. They are very fast, waiting time in the lobby is no more than 15 minutes. Weakness: can not think of anything
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
He was straight to point, wanted to result in a pregnancy as much as I wanted it. He seem like he really cared and understood the frustration that me and my fiancé were experiencing
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Meyer was great! He made me feel important and truly seemed like he understood the frustration that me and my fiancé were going through. He didn't waste any time and for that reason-I absolutely loved! Although the injections and timed intercourse did not work for me, our next step is ivf. He made me feel very comfortable and I will want him to perform the procedure for me. I am definitely happy I chose Carolina conceptions and couldn't be more happy with Dr Bill Meyer as my doctor.
Be straight forward with him. He will not delay any process with you and will try to provide quick results to further assist with the process
My medication I used from him was suppose to help me lose weight and prevent diabetes. After that, it was injections along with other meds that wwe suppose to help with ovulation and etc. Last medication was given after finding out my tubes were blocked
Seeing a specialist is pretty costly but thankfully I have insurance to cover the visits. No complaints
PCOS, Unexplained
We were told we qualified for a study, and had a meeting set up with the Doctor, only to find out that was not the case. We also were told IUI was covered, only to find out this had changed. I was able to fight this with my insurance, but many other patients at Carolina Conceptions were not so lucky. They were not advocating for their patients.... The only time we saw Dr. Park was for initial consults or if something was wrong. They have a number of nurses or gestational specialists that handle your care after the initial meetings with Dr. Park.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
They may have high IVF success rates, but we were not ready to pursue that method until trying everything else possible. If you are looking to determine why you may be having infertility issues, this is probably not the place for you. Expect to have to really be on top of your care, because they have so many patients they can't seem to keep everyone straight. They need to slow down, and rethink their processes and procedures.
The only time we saw Dr. Park was for initial consults or if something was wrong. They have a number of nurses or gestational specialists that handle your care after the initial meetings with Dr. Park. I never felt that they truly even knew my history, and that I continuously had to remind them of what we were doing.
They see way too many patients to properly keep track of an individual's care. Many of the nurses did not seem sure of themselves when doing internal ultrasounds to determine timing for IUI. I also had a nurse that had a hard time doing my IUI because she couldn't find my cervix. Towards the end of my treatments at Carolina Conceptions, there was even a new nurse that told me I probably knew more than her! One of the final straws, was when a nurse told us we qualified for an IVF study where we would pay significantly less for these procedures. We were invited to come in and speak with Dr. Park regarding the study. We took time off of work for the appointment, only to find out that we in fact did not meet Dr. Park's requirements. He was extremely frustrated that his nurses told us we did, and said they did not even have the authority to tell us that.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. John Park seemed knowledgeable and promising at first, however, we only had interactions with him for our initial consult, and when things weren't going as planned. Dr. Park focuses more on IUI/IVF treatments to achieve pregnancy rather than actually trying to figure out why infertility is happening. At one point, we were also attempting to pursue an IVF study, and we were told by all of the office staff that we qualified, but Dr. John Park told us we did not, which was extremely upsetting. He did seem genuinely sorry and frustrated with his staff when this happened to us, but ultimately there was nothing he would do.
Don't expect to necessarily find out why you may be having infertility issues, they will keep giving you medications and recommending options without looking into what the real issue may be. Also, do not expect to see Dr. Park on a regular basis. Once your plan is in place, you will only see him if there is a problem or if you go through a certain amount of cycles without success. This may be different for IVF, but any treatments attempted before IVF are not handled by Dr. Park.
I was initially put on oral medication (letrozole) and injections. The very first cycle of IUI had to be cancelled because I was over medicated, causing my ovaries to overproduce. We tried IUI for a number of other cycles until my insurance options were exhausted. After the first over medicated cycle, Dr. Park lowered my dosage of letrozole. Each time I had an IUI performed, I was very unsure of the gestational nurses ability to determine timing. This was due to them not being sure of themselves during internal ultrasound exams, and also having one that had an extremely hard time performing my IUI. I even had one nurse tell me she was new and that I probably knew more than her!!!!
There were co-pay costs and significant costs for medications for IUI.
Raleigh
I have never been to a doctors office that had nurses nicer than the ones at Carolina Conceptions. They were so polite and always willing to listen and answer questions and didn't mind if you cried every time you went in. They should give training on how to treat people because you always felt comforted, no matter what... This clinic is a well-oiled machine. The staff has it going on from the time you walk in the door. The receptionists are nice and polite and informative. Most of the time, you go places and the receptionists have no idea about treatments or medicines, but here, they do. The lab staff was polite, the financial officers were informative, helpful, and polite. Just a great clinic.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Dr. Park was always so kind to return my emails and/or phone calls, instead of letting a nurse or assistant do it. He was very informative of all of the options and results.
How was your experience with John Park at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Park was very honest and forthcoming with the information about our treatments. He did not let us get carried away or get our hopes up for no reason. He was straight to the point, but caring at the same time.
That if they want answers, he is the best doctor to see. They will get their results and they will know what treatments/options are best for them.
We did 3 types of cycles with Dr. Park. Ovarian stimulation with intercourse, ovarian stimulation with IUI, and IVF. Each time, we did shots (ganirelix, progesterone) and had multiple ultrasounds. Each time, my uterus lining was great and I had a decent amount of follicles. We had high hopes. However, when we did IVF, only 5 eggs were retrieved and only 4 fertilized. They never made it to day 5 implantation. We were devastated. We are hoping to get this grant to use for an embryo adoption.
IVF including medicines, ultrasounds, and education classes cost close to $12k.
We only had 4 eggs to fertilize, so they informed us that they would only transfer 2. However, our embryos did not make it to transfer day.
Raleigh
We loved working with everyone at Carolina Conceptions. If Dr. Meyer was unavailable we saw Dr. Park or Dr. Couchman and found them to be equally wonderful. The embryologists were knowledgeable and provided detailed information to us as well. The front office staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and were always welcoming both on the phone and in person. Everyone you interacted with treated you like you were the most important patient and were genuinely happy and excited for us when we became pregnant.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Dr. Meyer took the time to meet with us and get to know us. He was kind, patient, and willing to spend the time to answer as many questions as we had. He was able to share in our joy and sympathize with our pain.
I can't say enough great things about the nursing staff. They were friendly, compassionate, and knowledgeable. They understood that IVF was a difficult and emotional process and did everything they could to make the process better.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Meyer was incredibly knowledgeable about the IVF process and took the time to get to know my husband and I. He explained the process and adjustments very clearly and provided his email to us to ask any questions as they came up. He had a wonderful bedside manner and always made us feel comfortable. I appreciated his willingness to discuss our case with his colleagues after our first transfer was unsuccessful and didn't go as planned or as the data would have suggested it should. He made appropriate adjustments and was candid in his discussions with my husband and I.
Don't hesitate to ask questions because Dr. Meyer will definitely lay everything out for you to understand.
Dr. Meyer recommended we use daily shots as well as oral pills. He upped dosages and added in human growth hormone as an adjustment after the first transfer was unsuccessful.
We paid roughly $12,00 - $14,000 for an IVF Cycle
Dr. Meyer did not have a preference. Due to a personal genetic condition, we elected to only do a single transfer (as it turned out, we only had one embryo to transfer anyway).