Genetic counseling: Offered
336-448-9100
3821 Forrestgate Dr.
Winston Salem, NC 27103
336-448-9100
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Carolinas Fertility Institute to a friend?

2 doctors
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
The Greensboro office [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is older and they don't have cleaning wipes in the bathroom for after ultrasounds. The first time that I went for one, the didn't have any pads. Be sure to bring your own. The Winston Salem office is great.... I LOVE Ms. Kincaid. I wish u could only see her. She has the best attitude and is so uplifting. Even when the news isn't what you want, she has a positive way of presenting it
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The Greensboro office is older and they don't have cleaning wipes in the bathroom for after ultrasounds. The first time that I went for one, the didn't have any pads. Be sure to bring your own. The Winston Salem office is great. Again, Dr. Yalcinkaya is usually late so plan accordingly. He will give you his full attention when you see him, rather than rushing you along.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Y is patient and listens to me which was the opposite of where I left. Nurse Kincaid makes me feel like she's in this fight with us. 99% of the staff are so pleasant and encouraging
I LOVE Ms. Kincaid. I wish u could only see her. She has the best attitude and is so uplifting. Even when the news isn't what you want, she has a positive way of presenting it rather than being "matter of fact". She is a blessing to her profession!
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
He's amazing. He is definitely always late so, you're gonna have to get over it if punctuality is "your thing". When he arrives you have his FULL ATTENTION. I appreciate that he speaks in common terms not just medical jargon.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Write down your questions/ concerns because sometimes the appointment can be overwhelming and you may leave without a piece of info.
Describe the protocols Tamer Yalcinkaya used in your cycles at Carolinas Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
We didn't know I had endometriosis until in surgery to clear a blocked tube. He removed one and explained why. He is very detailed with all explanations and will repeat several times if you need it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
IUI $1,000.00 + Ovidrel shot around $160.00 through their pharmacy connection since my normal pharmacy was over $200.00 + Femara $7.00 copay. IVF is around $28,000.00 including medication.
Describe Tamer Yalcinkaya's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
N/A I haven't done ivf yet
Greensboro

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute.

[The nurses at Carolinas Fertility Institute that] I’ve interacted with have been very delightful! My time has always been valued and they want me to be as comfortable as possible...they pulled up a chair right next to me for my husband to sit in during the IUI procedures so he could hold my hand...I had to have blood draw to check estrodiol levels and was told I would get a call back by 4pm. I had to call them and then wait for the results to be reviewed. Granted I needed to pick up my tigger shot based on those results so it was time sensitive.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Strengths- small clinic, one on one approach, personalized care, see the same Dr every time, convenient location, will call back same day if you have to leave them a message. Can get appointments on the days Dr. Mesen wants to see you back. Weaknesses- since there is one doctor in the office, the appointment times on the days you need to come in are very limited. I’ve learned that the time they give you is the only time they have. Their insurance team is great. They went though all the steps to see if treatment was covered even though we knew going in it wouldn’t be.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I really was not expecting Dr Mesen to be the one to do all of my ultrasounds or treatments but he was there every time and answered all my many questions. It was comforting to know I would see the same doctor every time.
All of the ladies I’ve interacted with have been very delightful! My time has always been valued and they want me to be as comfortable as possible. They put down extra padding on the procedure chair when I had my period and they pulled up a chair right next to me for my husband to sit in during the IUI procedures so he could hold my hand.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
At the initial consulation I found Dr Mesen to be a little too direct and to the point. It was all very medically explained. I had never had an interuteran ultrasound before so he said that’s the first thing I needed and then proceeded to walk me to the room to have it done right then. I did appreciate the urgency though after trying naturally for 2 years. During my follow ups he did soften his demeanor and after my first IUI answered the list of questions I had before he left the room and told us he wanted to hear good news in two weeks which I appreciated. He really does want us to be successful. After the first two IUI’s failed, he agreed that a change in medication would hopefully help for the third IUI so he does listen to his patients and take into consideration their thoughts on the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
If you have questions for Dr Mesen, come prepared with them at time of ultrasound/treatment. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or have him clarify things. Sometimes he not very detailed.
Describe the protocols Tolga Mesen used in your cycles at Carolinas Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
At the initial consult, Dr. Mesen recommended starting with 3 IUI’s and then reassessing if needed. I kept taking all of the vitamins I was currently taking. He prescribed my husband a male fertility vitamin as his semen analysis was not great and on the low side of normal. IUI 1 and 2 Femara 5mg cycle days 3-7. He told us he thought I would respond better to Femara than Clomid. IUI 3 (in progress) Clomid 100mg cycle days 3-7. Since I only had one mature follicle for the last two treatments, I wanted to increase the dosage and he agreed I would do better with Clomid. That is yet to be determined as of this review.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
$1000 per IUI- included all ultrasounds and the procedure. Trigger shot- $112- by pharmacy Dr Mesen referred me to for lower cost Clomid- $25- from neighborhood pharmacy.
Greensboro

weakness [at Carolinas Fertility Institute]: treating patients based on their insurance status...strengths: nurses were very nice, compassionate. MD could spend more time learning about the patient and their infertility issues BEFORE prescribing a method...the nurse that drew my blood was absolutely awesome. At the end of my last visit, I was so upset and unsatisfied. She talked to me while drawing blood and I didn't even notice the needle or the draw. Anytime I had a questions, the nurses called me back promptly.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
weakness: treating patients based on their insurance status. Simply stated: VETERANS AVOID THIS CLINIC. its not worth the added headache. strengths: nurses were very nice, compassionate. MD could spend more time learning about the patient and their infertility issues BEFORE prescribing a method.
I felt this MD has a "cookie cutter" approach to fertility. I was given instructions that literally didn't even apply to me. When that didn't work, I asked him were we still on that paper, he nonchalantly said, "oh, we're way off that." I felt like he was backtracking and treating me after his first solution didn't work. When my condition and unique situation could have been talked about and treated properly the first time.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I felt this MD was treating me based on my insurance. during our first consultation, he literally insulted my insurance in front of me! Called them "such a pain". I don't think he was invested in me as a patient because my insurance was not the VA. To all Veterans, when the VA recommends this office first, please ask for their second. If he doesn't think he can treat veterans fairly or want to deal with the VA, he should have himself removed from their list. Infertility is heartbreaking enough without having to deal with MD's worried about insurance compensations determining level of treatment.
Veterans, when the VA recommends this MD to you. Please ask for second on their list. To him, dealing with the VA is a pain. So who wants a MD that sees you as "a pain" to them. Also, you will be in a billing battle. They put me down as self pay and I have received all the bills for outside facilities (labs and ultrasounds). Ironically, his office visit bills made their way to the VA for processing and not to me and collections.
I am in collections because of this office. This MD cost me my first experience with a fertility specialist. I'll never get it back.
Charlotte

The clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is very individual, small, personable staff, top notch lab. Appointments generally run on time with the exception of the initial new patient appointment. No weaknesses yet that I have seen.... There was one result they forgot to call me about and I had to call in when I realized I still hadn't received the information. It would not have changed the course of treatment however.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The clinic is very individual, small, personable staff, top notch lab. Appointments generally run on time with the exception of the initial new patient appointment. No weaknesses yet that I have seen.
Every single appointment I get to see Dr. Mesen (rather than just a nurse) and while he is not particularly warm he always makes me feel like he has all the time in the world to discuss my concerns. I have never felt rushed during appointments with him. I ask a lot of questions and like to really understand my treatment options and he has always discussed them thoroughly with me and never talked down to me or made me think my questions were stupid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Mandy)
Very thorough, friendly and compassionate, communicated quickly via phone or email even on the weekends, gave me her cellphone number over a holiday, very clearly and thoroughly explained medications
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Strengths: articulate, descriptive, considers preferences of patient rather than just what he professionally thinks, quick to answer questions via phone or email, available at each appointment, realistic Weaknesses: not particularly warm, hasn't shown much compassion, doesn't have a bad bedside manner but also doesn't have the greatest, sometimes have to ask specific questions to get the information you want
He will give you as much information as you ask for but isn't always forthcoming so be prepared with questions.
IUI- Letrozole- 3 pills of 2.5 mg each 1x/day for days 3-7, ultrasound on day 11 or 12 of cycle, trigger shot based on ultrasound and then IUI (done by him). IVF- agonist protocol I believe, Estrogen patch after ovulation of prior cycle until day 2 of current cycle, ultrasound day 2 or 3 for baseline, menopur mixed with gonal F 262 units for 2 days then 225 for 1 day then ultrasound, then 225 one day and then reduced to 187 the next day with followup ultrasound the day after. That's as far as I've gotten but I know at some point Cetrotide will be added and then HCG will be used as trigger prior to egg retrieval.
1,000 per IUI, 13,095 for IVF, and then other fees associated with procedures like a hysteroscopy and bloodwork which I can't remember the totals for
Describe Tolga Mesen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
He highly recommends 1 embryo for my age (31) and health but says in the end the decision is ours to make.
Charlotte

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Strengths are that it [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is a small clinic and you see the same doctor and nurses every visit, they remember you by name and seem to truly care and are invested in your well-being and success. They are very competent and intelligent about what treatments to take and aren't afraid to take the "difficult" cases.... Weaknesses are that they can be unorganized at times and not completely clear with medications, your plan and instructions.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Strengths are that it is a small clinic and you see the same doctor and nurses every visit, they remember you by name and seem to truly care and are invested in your well-being and success. They are very competent and intelligent about what treatments to take and aren't afraid to take the "difficult" cases. They also have advanced technology and amazing embryologists, which is incredibly important. Weaknesses are that they can be unorganized at times and not completely clear with medications, your plan and instructions. It would be incredibly helpful if they would print out information sheets with instructions on what you need to do and other helpful tips and information. The clinic is also growing in popularity which means more patients and longer waits. i don't feel like my care is being compromised, but I feel there will be a tipping point where they have more patients than they can handle.
He cared as much about our well-being as he did with the treatments, it wasn't just about the science. Every visit he takes time to ask how we are doing.
I think I'm hard to please when it comes to nursing staffs. No matter what clinic I'm at, I find that they are unorganized and don't always communicate the best and can forget to pass information on. At CFI I would say there were slightly above average.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
He was caring and took time with every single patient (I understand I may need to wait a little longer because he is taking time with another patient, I appreciate it when he does that with me). He is completely on-board with moving as slowly or quickly we want to move with treatments and isn't afraid to take an aggressive approach, but seems to try to be as realistic as he can along the way. I also appreciate that he was available off hours if there was an emergency, I didn't have to go through a nurse to speak to him.
Don't forget to do your own research as well and be your own advocate (I would give this advice for any doctor), but there is only so much he can remember with how many patients he is seeing and it is up to you do ask questions and advocate for yourself.
I'm not sure what protocol, but seemed standard. He preferred to go off of my natural cycle instead of starting me on birth control. My IVF meds were gonal-f, cetrotide, and menopur for retrieval, I also started my cycle using estrogen patches and estradiol pills. For FET I started on the patches and pills and started PIO shots 5 days before transfer.
It was around $14,000 for the IVF cycle (with ICSI), that included 1 FET. Each FET after that was $2900. PGS testing was around $4000 for 8 embryos, but I might be off on that amount though, but it was around that.
He didn't have a preference, answered our questions about it, but left it completely up to us, which I appreciated.
Winston Salem

All of our issues came from the nursing staff [Carolinas Fertility Institute]. First, In December i was given a quote by the doctor during a consultation. I could not set an appointment because i did not know when or if i would get my period. In January when i started my cycle, the nursing staff told me the price was 400-600 dollars more and they would not honor the quote given in December because i did not have an appointment.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Strength: Nice facility, clean, phone calls are answered quickly. Weakness: Small rooms, not much privacy, they will not bill your insuarance, they do not respect your appointment times, very busy and will not let you rest as long as other clinics after the IUI. They use a specialty pharmacy out of state and you must order your meds way ahead of time. They use that pharmacy because it is not as expensive.
I am not happy with their service and that is the reazon I only did one cycle at Carolina Fertility. My Insurance pays for 3 cycles of IUI, and they wouldn’t bill it. I feel like they only care about the money. I paid $1000. I got there right after my husband, and as far as I know there is a time frame that this must be done within. I waited for more than 1 hour because they did not have a room for me at the time of my appointment, but we paid a week before so is not like we just showed up. With how long me and my husband have been trying to have a baby, and how we were treated, our experience here was very stressful.
All of our issues came from the nursing staff. First, In December i was given a quote by the doctor during a consultation. I could not set an appointment because i did not know when or if i would get my period. In January when i started my cycle, the nursing staff told me the price was 400-600 dollars more and they would not honor the quote given in December because i did not have an appointment. That makes me feel like the nursing staff does not advocate for me. The worse part was that when i arrived for my appointment, 30 minutes after my husband dropped off his sample, i had to wait more than one hour. I asked every five minutes when would my room be ready, and the nursing staff never did anything to help me. When i finally got to my room, well after my time frame had passed to do the IUI, the room was occupied by a staff member laying in the bed. The two staff members were upset that they had to leave the room that i paid for and no patient was being helped.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Tamer M Yalcinkaya was always very honest and informative. Also, he was very friendly. The only problem i had with Tamer was that he told us that they would not bill my insurance for any IUI treatments even though we had the code and spoke to the insurace company prior.
To make sure you will be seen at the time of your appointment, and be firm with the support staff. It seems like the support staff does not care about why you are there. its stressful enough to have trouble getting pregnant, so you should not have to deal with bad service.
First he wanted to do an ultra-sound to make sure everything was clear. He wanted to do an HCG, however i didnt need to at the time, because i had just recently had one done. After that he started me on Chlomid on the 3rd to 5th day of my cycle. Around day 10 of my cycle he did another ultra-sound to check the size of my folicles and egg quantity. After a second positive ovulation test i went for the IUI treatment. My husband went that morning to drop off his sample, then i showed up 30 minutes after he was done. Once the IUI was completed i was instructed to test for pegnancy 2 weeks after. This was not successful.
1000 dollars up front

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS
I love that the clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is so small, it definitely helps you feel like a human and not a number. But the smallness is kind of an issue also, it was hard to get in for a new patient appointment but it’s so worth it.... Self pay ultrasounds are $165 you’re not required to have blood work done as part of your monitoring. I know IUI self pay package is $1000.... There is one nurse that is kind of stand off ish. But she gets better, other than that they are all wonderful and will answer any questions you have.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
I love that the clinic is so small, it definitely helps you feel like a human and not a number. But the smallness is kind of an issue also, it was hard to get in for a new patient appointment but it’s so worth it.
He sat us down in his office to have one on one talk with us, he had my chart open in front of him constantly taking notes. I also get to see him and speak to him directly at every monitoring visit.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Mesen is great. His bedside manner can use some work, but I think it’s because he’s just somewhat of an awkward person. The more times I’ve got to see him and talk to him he has warmed up a lot. He’s very straightforward, and he gives you the facts and tells you exactly what is best. He try’s to also explain to you why something might work better than something else. I felt relief when I walked out of his office in the consultation, I felt like I was taken seriously and that if anyone could get me pregnant it would be him. You just have to give him a little time to warm up to you.
Don’t take his quietness for rudeness., also be ready to got for whatever treatment, he wastes no time.
I am on 7.5 mg of femara because clomid doesn’t work as well in patients with PCOS. I also do an ovidrel trigger shot when my follicles are mature enough, then 4 days after I take the shot I start with progesterone. Because I’ve had two miscarriages. This is only my second cycle on this protocol and I haven’t got to test to see if I’m pregnant yet, fingers crossed.
I have not had to do IVF yet so I’m not sure.

2017 - 2019
Clinic [CFI- Winston Salem] is well organized and easy to schedule with- I would recommend the clinic to anyone struggling to conceive. I do not hold it against the clinic that I have been unable to conceive since unexplained infertility is such a mysterious problem.... I paid 480 out of pocket for the first three IUIs when my insurance was in network and offered partial coverage- my Ovidrel trigger shot was 50 dollars at that time and Femara was covered as well as bloodwork, HSG, and ultrasounds. We switched insurance last summer and are now out of network so my 4th IUI was a 1000 dollar package for the ultrasound and wash/insemination.
2017 - 2019
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Clinic is well organized and easy to schedule with- I would recommend the clinic to anyone struggling to conceive. I do not hold it against the clinic that I have been unable to conceive since unexplained infertility is such a mysterious problem.
I was treated well
The nursing staff is kind and compassionate- they’re always super helpful.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
He’s very knowledgeable and explained treatment in a way I could understand. I didn’t ask a lot of questions because IUI was simple to understand, but I appreciated his willingness to break down what was going to happen.
Manage expectations since IUI has a much lower success rate than IVF. I thought IUI would be successful even though Dr. Yalcinkaya told me it was only about a 40-45% cumulative success rate, and I was surprised that I did not get pregnant because the procedures went well- I responded well to Femara and my husband produced good samples.
After tests revealed our only problem was his motility initially he was given a vitamin regimen and we tried on our own for 3 months following my normal HSG test. We then tried IUI 3 times in back to back cycles because at that point his sperm was looking normal. The protocol included 7.5 mg of Femara CD 3-7, an ultrasound day 10-12 to check follicles, and a trigger shot 36 hours prior to IUI with my husband’s samples at about 20 million each time. We took a break for 7 months and tried IUI one more time last month and it failed again.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Weaknesses: It took several months to get an initial consultation. ... Strengths: Compassionate people working diligently to help you become at parent. The staff [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is very patient with you and your needs. Dr. Y and his staff with work with you, treat you like a person, and answer all questions you may have along the way. ... The nursing staff has been kind enough to return all of my questions and address all of my concerns from certain medications I can and cannot time, to concerns, to countless what ifs, to purpose behind certain tests and their results.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Strengths: Compassionate people working diligently to help you become at parent. The staff is very patient with you and your needs. Dr. Y and his staff with work with you, treat you like a person, and answer all questions you may have along the way. Weaknesses: It took several months to get an initial consultation.
After our initial consultation, bloodwork, and testing, it was a whirlwind of information and decisions to be made. My husband and I decided to take some time to process the information. Once we processed it, I called the office and asked if we could make an appointment to see our doctor because we had a lot of questions before moving forward with a particular fertility option. I expressed that I just started a new teaching job and this appointment would be a the start of a new year so I would need an appointment as late as possible. They mentioned that I could be scheduled for a conference call after hours one day which worked perfect since we really just had a lot of questions about our options given. We were called after work hours on a Friday evening, during a hurricane, and he answered all of our questions, listened to our opinion, gave his opinion, and answered some more questions. He was not in a hurry to rush off the phone with me! He then followed up with me and sent me his email if I had any further questions over the weekend. This is one specific incident but I don't feel rushed when I am at his clinic. Everyone is very nice and helpful!
The nursing staff has been kind enough to return all of my questions and address all of my concerns from certain medications I can and cannot time, to concerns, to countless what ifs, to purpose behind certain tests and their results. They are very kind each time and show tremendous patience with me.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
We are at the beginning of fertility treatments. After our initial meeting it was discussed that we would monitor my cycles, use ovidrel, and time intercourse for a few cycles before moving forward. My husband and I decided to do this one time because we had a sperm analysis done and his numbers needed improvement before we moved forward. He is now on medication that is suppose to increase his quality and morphology. He will be retested once he finishes the medicine and we will finalize our decision on our next steps based on those numbers. After having a phone conference with Dr. Yalcinkaya and expressing my worries and concerns we have made a tentative plan, again depending on husband's numbers, to do 1-3 cycles of IUI with medication then IVF if needed. I have had recurrent miscarriages so if husband's number have not improved much we will skip IUI and go straight to IVF. Dr. Y has been very helpful, informative, and sincere about helping us find the correct pathway to parenthood.
I would tell all patients to ask questions, lots of questions. This is a big, and expensive, step to make so you need to be well informed.
I have PCOS so Dr. Y increased my Metformin and my Letrozole when I came in for a consultation because the dosage my previous doctor prescribed were no longer beneficial and had stopped having the desired side effects. I was producing a good number of follicles so we tried Ovidrel injection and time intercourse for a month. After finding out that my husband's sperm analysis was overall lower than preferred, my husband and I took a few months off. This break helped give my husband time to take medication to increase his numbers. He is nearly finished with the prescription and will have another analysis done to see if there has been a big enough change to justify us continuing with Ovidrel and/or IUI. As of right now, after consulting with Dr. Y, I believe that we will try 1-3 cycles of IUI and then move forward with IVF if needed.
We haven't very had too many costs yet because we haven't tried IUI or IVF yet. But, the Metformin and Letrozole costs about $5 total each month due to insurance. The Ovidrel shot was not covered by my insurance and costs $200 per cycle. My husband had a sperm analysis completed and it was $250, up front, again not covered by insurance. The prescription given to my husband to increase his numbers in $50 for a 3 month supply, insurance will not cover. Lastly, the doctor visits are $85 with insurance.
Dr. Y mentioned that we would transfer one embryo at a time. I am fine with that because we can freeze the other embryos and use them at a later time if the first procedure is not successful.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Nursing staff [at Carolinas Fertility Institute] was very kind during my procedures with Dr. Y. They were also very attentive to my needs when I would email or call regarding treatment protocol. The only negative comment I would say is that I was not always aware of what steps to take next, and would have to ask myself instead of it being explained to me before leaving the office...Lab results were not always called in to me to report findings.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Strengths- New, up to date technology. Nice, clean environment. Responsive to calls and emails Weakness- long wait times. Treatment was not described before leaving the office and you were sometimes left unaware of what was to come next. Also, billing was messed up at one point during my treatment, but since has been fixed with a new billing provider
I felt Dr. Y was caring and had my best interest in mind. It is hard to feel exactly like a human and not a number when a doctor is dealing with multiple patients each day, but I felt he tried his best to keep my situation separate, and unique to me.
Nursing staff was very kind during my procedures with Dr. Y. They were also very attentive to my needs when I would email or call regarding treatment protocol. The only negative comment I would say is that I was not always aware of what steps to take next, and would have to ask myself instead of it being explained to me before leaving the office
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I felt Dr. Yalcinkaya was very educated in his field. He is very knowledgeable and has up to date research to back up his recommendations. I do however feel that sometimes I was leading my own care, and would have liked some stronger opinions from Dr. Yalcinkaya, however on the same token I liked that he would allow me to have blood tests and procedures performed that I thought necessary for my treatment.
Be open minded. Also be prepared to wait to see Dr. Y, but know that when it is your turn he will spend the same amount of time with you as he does with every other patient.
Hysteroscopy to help remove scar tissue. Blood work for recurrent miscarriage. Femara and "trigger shot" for IUI.
Appointments & US- around $400. Hysteroscopy- around 2,000 IVF cycle around 24,000
unknown

Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
While the level of care, the doctors and nurses are amazing, the clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is VERY busy and obviously somewhat understaffed. I have had wait times for appointments last just a few minutes to over an hour. I will also say that sometimes the costs of things are not made clear... For a single IVF cycle including retrieval, monitoring and a fresh transfer my cost with insurance coverage was $5500. I paid an additional $800 or so for meds.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
While the level of care, the doctors and nurses are amazing, the clinic is VERY busy and obviously somewhat understaffed. I have had wait times for appointments last just a few minutes to over an hour. I will also say that sometimes the costs of things are not made clear - this was more so my experience when I was doing IUIs, but also somewhat during my IVF treatment. You really need to be your own advocate and ask a lot of questions.
Dr. Yalcinkaya always made time for my husband and I. After our egg retrieval, our results were much different than what we were expecting. Even though we had 29 eggs retrieved, we only had 3 embryos make it to freeze and they struggled to get there. My husband and I were upset and worried and Dr. Y made himself available after hours to speak with us on the phone for as long as we needed. He is always very thorough in his explanations and offered as much advice as to what our next steps would be as he was able. It is obvious that he cares for his patients and wants the best outcomes for them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Marcey)
Marcey is absolutely wonderful. She is warm and caring but also has a sense of humor. She always made me feel at ease and answered any question I had regardless of how silly it sounded.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Yalcinkaya is a wonderful doctor. It was very clear from our first meeting that he cares deeply about his patients and his work. He is very intelligent and is a leader in his field but can explain complex scientific techniques in a way that is easy to understand. He always made me feel comfortable with my treatment and made sure to tell us at every appointment that we could call him anytime if we had any questions or concerns. He is a little quirky and for a couple times during our first appointments we had to remind him of our situation (I think this comes from the clinic having a TON of patients), but once he got to know us, he could remember small things we had said or asked about months prior.
I would say be prepared to be patient not only with Dr. Yalcinkaya but also with the process itself.
I did an agonist IVF protocol. We began with a uterine biopsy (endometrial scratch), bloodwork and mock transfer (same as a SHG) about a week prior to my protocol starting. All of Dr. Y's IVF patients start this way and it is to rule out any potential problems (and to treat them if they are found) prior to the start of IVF. I began my protocol with Synarel instead of Lupron because Synarel also helps control endometriosis flare ups which I do have a history of. I did Synarel twice a day for 14 days and then continued with Menopur (1 vial), Gonal F (225), Doxycline (twice a day) and baby aspirin for another 9 days. During that time I had 4 ultrasounds. At my last ultrasound before retrieval, I had 29 mature follicles (and several more immature). Because of the number of follicles I had and because my estrogen level was elevated, Dr. Y recommend that we do a frozen transfer instead of a fresh because he was concerned about overstimulation. At first I was disappointed but later was thankful because I was somewhat overstimulated after my retrieval and I wasn't in a condition to successfully transfer at that time. The procedure itself went smoothly and I felt very comfortable. We retrieved 29 eggs, of that 12 were mature and 9 fertilized normally. We ended up with 3 day 6 blasts that were frozen. Dr. Y was a little concerned with my numbers since we had expected a lot more higher quality blasts based on my AMH/blood work and age. Before moving on to our transfer he recommend more extensive genetic testing for my husband and I. We are currently awaiting those results.
For a single IVF cycle including retrieval, monitoring and a fresh transfer my cost with insurance coverage was $5500. I paid an additional $800 or so for meds. This did not include any additional testing/procedures prior to the start of my cycle or additional non-routine blood work requested during my cycle.
Greensboro

I set up a payment plan [at Carolinas Fertility Institute] from the beginning. The IUI was roughly $500 not including the cost for my husbands sample analysis and medications needed...The staff are super friendly and helpful. They do everything in their power to help meet your individual needs and do not pressure you into anything. They show compassion and care and I feel like they are there for me 24/7. They are fully invested and really care about each need.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Dr.Yalcinkaya and his nurses almost automatically knew me by name. They understanded our circumstances and talked us through each step.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Marci)
Marci was so excellent! She always called me back to answer any questions I had and never pushed me into anything I wasn’t comfortable with.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr.Yalcinkaya is a compassionate doctor who goes out of his way to help his patients. He really wants what is best and is positive in nature while also explaining what may realistically happen. He has never given up on us and continues to remind us every visit that we WILL have our miracle baby. I have secondary infertility and he immediately tackled my personal needs at the pace that we were comfortable with.
Ask questions! He is very open to answer all questions you have. Be honest and candid with what is realistic for your family.
We started out by getting the diagnosis of PCOS and secondary infertility. He put me on metformin (2,000 mg per day). After 2 cycles of timed intercourse with the use of femara, we began IUI treatments. I did 2 of those without injections (Menopur and Ovidrel) and one with injections. I then developed an ovarian cyst that needed to be treated with Sprintec birth control for 2 weeks. We will be having our 4th IUI next week using menopur and Ovidrel along with femara.
I set up a payment plan from the beginning. The IUI was roughly $500 not including the cost for my husbands sample analysis and medications needed.
Winston Salem

Strengths: accessible docs, nice facility, friendly. You get test results very quickly. Weaknesses: mostly growing pains, poor communication sometimes with nurses. I think a new patient would want to know that I did not feel like another number there [Carolinas Fertility Institute] and felt very well cared for. I have never been rushed at my appointments and had all my questions answered before leaving.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Strengths: accessible docs, nice facility, friendly. You get test results very quickly. Weaknesses: mostly growing pains, poor communication sometimes with nurses. I think a new patient would want to know that I did not feel like another number there and felt very well cared for. I have never been rushed at my appointments and had all my questions answered before leaving.
There is only one staff member that I have issues with. She completed my med order incorrectly twice. I had to take the bull by the horns and facilitate fixing the error to ensure I got my medicine in a timely fashion. She does not communicate well and it often takes her several hours to respond to emails or calls
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I think Dr Yalcinkaya is fanstastic. He has an amazing ability to calm my nerves when I see him. He is also confident and gives me hope during my visits. When the first IVF cycle was canceled he immediately had a plan to change my protocol. I can easily reach him by text or phone with questions. Where else can you find that ?!
Have a list of questions you want to ask. Ask about your plan of care (protocol). Ask him his thoughts on any other factors (male factor, endometriosis, etc). Be prepared to leave hopeful that you have a plan in place :)
The first cycle we did miniIVF: Gonal F 150 Units, Menopur 75 Units, Lupron, micronized: 2 injections daily. Also took Doxycycline 100mg twice daily, aspirin, extra folic acid and a prenatal vitamin. He used this rationale for lower dosing based on my DOR - he felt I would produce the same amount of follicles regardless so opted for lower doses. This time he added Cetrotide instead of Lupron, and increased the Gonal to 225Units.
The cost for miniIVF with meds was around 10k. This is far less than traditional IVF and less than most clinics
Dr Y said we could transfer 2-3 embryos and we are ok with that. He thinks at my age 1 in 3 will be normal

Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
This clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is extremely welcoming. You will never be shuffled around like a number on a paper. Every single person that works there makes you feel like they work FOR YOU. They will laugh with you and cry with you....The nurses are amazing at CFI. They call and remind me of appointments and give me blood results and plans of action. They will talk with me on the phone as long as it takes to get my questions answered.
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
This clinic is extremely welcoming. You will never be shuffled around like a number on a paper. Every single person that works there makes you feel like they work FOR YOU. They will laugh with you and cry with you. Their offices are located so that they are easy to find and available to people all around NC. CFI is worth a drive, let me tell ya!
Dr Y sits down with you in his personal office to discuss your options, not in a room while you are draped in a paper gown. He tells you every piece of information about the why's and how's and always offers hope and success stories.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Lorianne, Ashley)
The nurses are amazing at CFI. They call and remind me of appointments and give me blood results and plans of action. They will talk with me on the phone as long as it takes to get my questions answered. It is obvious by talking with them they have so much confidence in Dr. Y and are also passionate about what they do.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Y is such a down to earth person who happens to be a fertility genius. You can tell off the bat he is passionate about his work. He brings you in his personal office to discuss your options and you don't leave until all your questions are answered. He always offers up a story of hope and you leave feeling like he wants a baby for you as bad as you do.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't let money stop you from going. I am a cash pay patient as my insurance doesn't cover fertility treatments and I have always been well informed of cost in advance and shared with opportunities to save money. They empathize that my family has saved for a long time to make this a reality. They have never treated me like I can't afford their treatments.
Well firstly he was listening to my history and he said I want to see your ovaries today if that's ok with you. This was surpring to me but I was overjoyed that something was going to happen that day and the ball would begin rolling. I had follicles that looked perfect and he was excited about that which also made me excited. He said go home and have intercourse and maybe you won't even need to come back. I was shocked that he had hope and it sent me home walking on clouds. He said if this doesn't work, I have back up options. He told me my body does what it needs to do by making eggs and that he would like to perform an hsg to make sure the eggs have a way to release. He told me in detail what that consisted of including out the door cost. He shared even some success stories about hsg tests resulting in pregnancy in other patients. He answered my questions and talked with my until 15 mins after the office closed. That just doesn't exist in the world of medicine these days.
As I said earlier my costs are strictly out of pocket, from savings that have been a long process to get/keep. They knew that going in and kept me informed of all my fees before any services were decided on. They told me ways to cut costs and what to do if any hidden fees appeared and who to call directly if I got any bills in the mail that I didn't understand. People hear fertility treatments and think 10s of thousands of dollars but don't let that intimidate you. It's very affordable to sit down with Dr. Y and hear your options.
Greensboro

The staff [at Carolinas Fertility Institute] did not always know who I was, why I was coming into the clinic or basic answers to questions (mainly when I called), until they finally asked around. I felt like I constantly had to restate where I was in the process and ask for details regarding the procedure. There seemed to be a disconnect, not an effort to get to know my as a patient.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The clinic, overall, was very professional and anytime I had an issue or a question, I could touch base with Dr. Yalcinkaya (who was understanding and receptive). The staff, at times, seemed busy or a bit disconnected, but Dr. Yalcinkaya addressed these issues and listened to my concerns.
Dr. Yalcinkaya took the time to go through all details of the process with me, both in person and via email.
The staff did not always know who I was, why I was coming into the clinic or basic answers to questions (mainly when I called), until they finally asked around. I felt like I constantly had to restate where I was in the process and ask for details regarding the procedure. There seemed to be a disconnect, not an effort to get to know my as a patient.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Yalcinkaya is an excellent listener, he put my husband and I at ease and gave us confidence in the process. He made himself available, so if I left an appointment and had a follow-up question, I could send him an email and he was prompt to respond. He was very understanding of the emotions surrounding infertility and gave me the time I needed to ask many questions or even cry if I needed to (and did).
Be knowledgeable about the process and ask as many questions as you need to.
I don’t remember in detail (I took a break from treatments but will be going back this month). He performed the HSG test & ultrasound. I continued to take femara (prescribed initially by my gyno) and before the IUI I gave myself a shot of Ovidrel in my abdomen.
I don’t remember the exact costs but the one IUI procedure (including the sperm wash, IUI, doctor visit, Ovidrel shot) was a bit over $800.

2010 - 2018
The only thing that I think should improve is the billing aspect as the young lady [at Carolinas Fertility Institute- Winston Salem] is not super helpful. I requested a bill be sent to me and I never received it! An ultrasound was done and apparently my part to pay was over 200 dollars but I never received a bill explaining this or am still not sure why this was not covered by my insurance.
2010 - 2018
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The only thing that I think should improve is the billing aspect as the young lady is not super helpful. I requested a bill be sent to me and I never received it! An ultrasound was done and apparently my part to pay was over 200 dollars but I never received a bill explaining this or am still not sure why this was not covered by my insurance.
He remembers every detail of my medical history and knows me as a patient!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Lori Marion)
Lori is very patient and is for the most part always available. She will repeat anything that doesnt make sense as many times as you need her to. She was compassionate and patient!
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
He is very knowledgeable on what he is doing and does it specifically to meet my medical needs and takes time to explain everything to where I can understand! My husband was diagnosed with azoospermia and after testing they could not determine the reason of his infetility and they suggested sperm donation but I really wanted a child that was mine and his. That is when Dr Yalcinkaya trialed him in Clomid for about three months sure enough he had about 18 sperm! He never gave up on us and respected my wishes! I will forever be thankful that because of him I have my sweet munchkin!
You have to be very patient and trust his recommendations!
He prescribed metformin on me as I was diagnosed with PCOS. This would help with the insemination and he kept me on this medication until about 10-12 weeks of pregnancy to maintain the pregnancy.
At the time I had Cigna insurance and honestly my insurance took care and covered most of my costs but they did have an option of financing.
At the time he suggested I only transfer one embryo because of my young age at the time but we ended up using transferring two embryos. Only on stayed!

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
The Charlotte office of CFI is small and you are seen in a timely manner. The staff is friendly and accommodating. Everyone is knowledgable about Reproductive Endocrinology and very helpful. When you have questions they are quick to help you and get answers... They have a specific IVF nurse at CFI that deals with all of the IVF patients at each location. She is the one that communicated with me the most through email. They also have a set nurse who takes your blood and does all the labs. They always responded in a timely manner and made sure you understood the results they were giving you.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
When we went for each appointment I always saw Dr. Mesen. He was the one who did my ultrasounds and at each appointment discussed our protocol and what I could expect in a very detailed way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Mesen is very detailed and treats each patient differently according to what their diagnosis is. He was very hands on during our treatments and made sure we understood what to expect. If there was a problem we were able to get answers in a quick and timely manner.
Expect to get started on treatment right away. At CFI they want to help you get pregnant so they will cover all bases before moving forward. They will do blood tests to rule out any issues and come up with an individualized plan to help you succeed. Dr. Mesen gives you direct and clinical answers in a way to help you understand possible reasons why you may be struggling with infertility.
For our IVF cycle we had a specific plan that worked with my PCOS. We stimmed with Menopur and Gonal F for about 8 days before retrieval. We did do a freeze all because of my estrogen level and then the next month we transferred two embryos.
We did mini IVF and it was around $6,500
We were able to transfer two embryos on our first transfer because we had a history of pregnancy loss. They do let most couples decide which they would like to transfer but it does depend on the history and diagnosis of the couple.
Charlotte

[Carolinas Fertility Institute- Winston Salem is] Clean and efficient once in the actual patient rooms. The nurses knew how to work all the equipment efficiently. The andrologist was always exceptionally kind and patient. One time my husband’s sperm sample was not at the number she ideally wanted so she allowed him to come back and do a new sample. Front receptionist was kind upon arrival but never provided wait time updates unless I asked, approximately 30 minutes after scheduled time.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
I was not always seen by Dr. Yalcinkaya, as he has multiple offices. I was never told that he would not be the doctor I would see. In addition, wait times were extremely long, sometimes longer than an hour sitting in the waiting room with. I regard that I had work to get to and that I did show up in time for all of my appointments.
It was generic remarks: we know this is hard, everything looks good, good luck, etc. The andrologist was the most kind, heartfelt, and caring person in the office.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
During my last round of IUI, Dr. Yalcinkaya did not see me at any point. His partner saw me and read my chart incorrectly, announcing that he was sure this would work because they had just cleared up some blockage in my tubes during the HSG test. Well, that test was a year prior to this visit. To have a different doctor who doesn’t even read the chart thoroughly before entering the room definitely left me feeling less than happy about the doctor or the clinic.
Ask if he will be providing your treatments at all appointments and if not to meet who will support him in your journey.
We used timed intercourse with fertility meds to try and get more mature eggs during my fertile period. When that was unsuccessful, we tried 3 rounds of IUI to increase chances. I took fertility meds and ovulation shots. With an unexplained infertility diagnosis this was an appropriate medical plan.
$450 per IUI and $80 for visits
Winston Salem

[Carolinas Fertility Institute is] Small size, RE conducts all ultrasounds, very communicative, have to travel for ER and ET, no early morning hours, your surgical procedures may be conducted by Dr. Y.... $15,000 for IVF, which included ICSI, ER, all ultrasounds and monitoring, fresh transfer, freezing of all embryos for 1 year, unlimited FET of all embryos retrieved until viable pregnancy. If this does not result in a pregnancy, I will be refunded $12,000, which would pay for another IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Dr. Mesen is incredibly available, having given me his personal cell phone number and email. I was able to reach him nights and weekends, and he never failed to return a call. He is kind and patient, and he always explains the process and protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Maureen)
The staff is excellent, though on occasion, it would take a day or 2 longer than expected to hear back from the IVF coordinator. Generally, though, they were responsive and compassionate.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Mesen. He is easy to reach, kind, patient, and ready to explain all the minute details. On the few occasions I had a misunderstanding with a nurse or other issue, he always fixed the problem personally. His work ethic is impeccable.
Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.
IVF with long lupron protocol, with a fresh 5d transfer, for unexplained infertility. I responded well to the protocol. Fresh transfer resulted in a CP, so an FET was scheduled. Due to failure of the first transfer, he recommended transferring 2 embryos, but I wasn't ready yet, and we transferred just one. Upcoming FET will transfer 2 embryos. FETs are done with medicated prep (estrace and vivelle).
We reviewed the statistics several times. He recommended a single transfer the first time due to my age, but 2 embryos for the 2nd transfer, though he allowed me to override that decision.
Winston Salem

The biggest issue with the [Carolinas Fertility Institute] clinic is wait times for appointments. Often I would wait for over an hour in the waiting room. The waiting room was comfortable but obviously it is not ideal to be kept waiting so long...Be prepared with questions you want to ask before your appointment. Be prepared to wait a long time for your appointments...
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The biggest issue with the clinic is wait times for appointments. Often I would wait for over an hour in the waiting room. The waiting room was comfortable but obviously it is not ideal to be kept waiting so long.
Doctor was kind and sympathetic during appointments and reachable after hours as well. Provided thorough explanations and reasoning for his recommendations. The only issue with his care is that he was often late to appointments. We were often kept waiting for hours.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
The nursing staff was generally helpful but it was difficult to get someone on the phone right away. Usually you had to leave a message and wait for a call back. If you were to miss the call back it could result in fairly endless phone tag.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Yalcinkaya is a very good doctor. He takes the time to explain what he thinks is wrong and what he believes the best course of action is. He is flexible and gives options if you are not ready for a certain treatment. He is sympathetic to patients. He gives patients a way to reach him after hours for any questions or issues. He is often late to appointments and procedures, however, and it is hard to tell whether it is because he has a lot of responsibilities or whether it is because he is poor at time management.
After determining that I was ovulating, that my tubes were open and that sperm counts were slightly low but within normal parameters, Dr Yalcinakya recommended IUI as our first course of treatment. He said I likely had endometriosis but he could not diagnose it for sure without surgery. We started with letrozole 7.5 mg on days 5-9 of my cycle. An ultrasound was done after completing the letrozole to check my response. Then IUI was scheduled. I was instructed to use Ovidrel trigger ~36 hours before the IUI. My first cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy, so the doctor said we should try again. After 2 additional failed cycles with the same protocol, he recommended a change of strategy. He said he was sure I would get pregnant with IVF, but other options would be to do a laparoscopy to check for and remove endometriosis or to do IUI with injectable medications. Since we were reluctant to do IVF, we went with the surgery. Endometriosis was confirmed and the doctor removed what he found. We then did a 4th cycle of IUI. Letrozole 7.5 mg was used again but Menopur was added as well. I had an ultrasound after completing the meds to determine the response, and then IUI was scheduled. I was instructed to use a trigger shot ~24 hours before the IUI. This IUI was successful.
ultrasounds - $150, IUI - ~$400, Consultation ~$90
Greensboro

The clinic atmosphere [at Carolinas Fertility Institute] is very welcoming, which is important when you go to appointments that can be very nerve-wracking. The office personnel are professional and kind, and will always return your call if you have any questions. Dr. Mesen is very professional, yet, was able to make small talk, and crack jokes with my spouse, which was very comforting. So far, with this clinic being the second clinic I've attended, I feel confident in my choice to switch.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The clinic atmosphere is very welcoming, which is important when you go to appointments that can be very nerve-wracking. The office personnel are professional and kind, and will always return your call if you have any questions. Dr. Mesen is very professional, yet, was able to make small talk, and crack jokes with my spouse, which was very comforting. So far, with this clinic being the second clinic I've attended, I feel confident in my choice to switch.
Dr. Mesen took his time to review my charts from another clinic, and explain what makes CFI different than my previous clinic. During the consultation he took the time to perform a procedure, and I didn't at all feel rushed! While perhaps the next scheduled client was delayed, I feel like it is worth it to feel like someone is there to help while you're already there, vs. stay so strictly to his schedule.
The nursing staff were helpful, yet quiet.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
My experience with Dr. Mesen has been great. He had to perform a surgery, and he knew my insurance wouldn't cover it at his coincidentally, so he reserves time at a local hospital. He doesn't sugarcoat things, which I appreciate. While he gives his professional input, he also let's you decide your next steps!
I would suggest to get your preliminary paperwork in quickly, so that you will be put on a wait-list, otherwise, your initial appointment could take months.
Dr. Mesen mentioned that he does not prefer multiple embryo transfer.
Charlotte

The clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is very busy, but scheduling is easy once you have had a consultation. I scheduled an appointment in the Winston-Salem office to avoid the 4 month wait in Charlotte. Once you have received a consult, you can be seen in any office...They [nurses] are very caring. One showed me how to use the Ovidrel shot since it was my first time. They are very friendly and will always answer questions and take time to explain things.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The clinic is very busy, but scheduling is easy once you have had a consultation. I scheduled an appointment in the Winston-Salem office to avoid the 4 month wait in Charlotte. Once you have received a consult, you can be seen in any office.
Dr. Messen is very optimistic. He takes the time to thoroughly explain procedures and you can tell he genuinely cares about his profession.
They are very caring. One showed me how to use the Ovidrel shot since it was my first time. They are very friendly and will always answer questions and take time to explain things.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
We were told that IVF was our only option. He gave us hope that IUI could be attempted. He was realistic about our chances, but still remained optimistic. I always felt at ease going to see him. I loved how he took the time to explain everything to us. I never felt as though I was being rushed out the door.
He’s absolutely fantastic!
I took 5 days of Clomid and went in for follicle measurements. Our first IUI was done naturally instead of using a trigger shot of Ovidrel due to a positive OPK the day before insemination. This one resulted in a negative pregnancy test. The second one we did with 5 days of Clomid and a trigger shot. Due to my ovulation from the first cycle, they adjusted the days of my ultrasounds to a day or two earlier. I got pregnant off my second round with only 4 mil sperm post wash.
I paid $200 for genetic testing on myself. Each IUI cost $1,000.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Everyone [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is nice and professional, I wish they shown more emotions as this is such a hard time for women who has hopes to conceive. I wish they offered payment plans. They do let you know up front the extra cost and how many visits you may need in office... I live 3 hours away from office, I am able to get office visits closer to home to save us a 3 hour drive... They are very on top of things, they send emails and call if I have a questions. They gave me a calendar of protocol that helps because it is a stressful process
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Everyone is nice and professional, I wish they shown more emotions as this is such a hard time for women who has hopes to conceive. I wish they offered payment plans. They do let you know up front the extra cost and how many visits you may need in office
Dr Yalcinkya was very professional, he was honest and open with all of my questions regarding ivf. He is very good at responding to phone calls and text, he uses other treatments that my other fertility Dr didn't Persue
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Lori )
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
He listens and is very thorough explaining procedures. I asked if my age will need me to use donor eggs and I felt he was honest and wants sucess for each patient. He texts and makes phone calls, he has called me back with questions. He reviewed my history and I think he is choosing the protocols that suit myself
Please be open minded and have hope but be realistic, he has great sucess rates but it may not work for everyone
1st full ivf, Menapor, cetrotide, estrogen patch, gonalf, 2 ivf same protocol 3 ivf current micro dose flare
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
My insurance isn't taken there, we have paid out of pocket and are unable to finance any other treatments
My doctor suggested pgd, I cannot afford the extra expense
Winston Salem

The clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute- Charlotte] itself is very clean. Appointments can run a little behind sometimes, but overall I like it. Sometimes I would see 1 particular nurse with braids touch the "vaginal instruments " without gloves so be careful with that. I wish I would have spoke up when she did that because after she put her hands all on it they used it for my ultrasound. She was putting the condom like rubber thing over it barehanded not sanitary at all
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The clinic itself is very clean. Appointments can run a little behind sometimes, but overall I like it. Sometimes I would see 1 particular nurse with braids touch the "vaginal instruments " without gloves so be careful with that. I wish I would have spoke up when she did that because after she put her hands all on it they used it for my ultrasound. She was putting the condom like rubber thing over it barehanded not sanitary at all
I would speak with him about the iui's not working and it's like he was asking me obvious questions about myself. It felt like he didn't care because I didn't even matter enough for him to have my chart up when I came in for an appointment. I think a doctor should know the basics about his patients; not saying it should be memorized, but at least read up a few moments before they walk in to the appointment.
Priscilla is amazing!! Very empathetic and goes above and beyond. I wish she could be my doctor.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
He just didn't seem too interested and nonchalant, but he is polite. I never felt rushed when asking a question. He made the procedure quick and I was comfortable throughout both intrauterine inseminations.
I would not go to him for iui's
I would take femara 2.5mg twice a day cycle days 3-7 and ovidrel trigger around cycle day 14.

Endometriosis, Male Factor
Strengths are th staff, they [Carolinas Fertility Institute] also have all of the most up to date technology (including an embryoscope for IVF)-- I haven't yet observed weaknesses but I am not very far in my process yet. Hopefully I do not go much further and won't see any weaknesses!... I usually just talk to them over the phone but they have all been nice, call back promptly and seem to really care about your plan.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Strengths are th staff, they also have all of the most up to date technology (including an embryoscope for IVF)-- I haven't yet observed weaknesses but I am not very far in my process yet. Hopefully I do not go much further and won't see any weaknesses!
Dr. Y takes the time to speak with you and explain every aspect of your care. I very much appreciate that. Infertility is a scary time and it was nice to feel like someone cares.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Good beside manner, well researched (he knows his stuff)! Seems to genuinely care about his patients and about making a difference in the world by helping women realize their dreams of becoming mothers.
Go in ready for some answers and to be proactive because he will hit the ground rolling with treatments.
So far all I have done is oral medications with timed intercourse, which has not yet been effective. I did have an HSG that showed my left tube blocked by a mucus plug and Dr. Y was able to unblock it! I am doing my first IUI this week.
So far I have only done oral medications covered by insurance so the cost has been very minimal (femara costs about $2)-- the monthly ultrasounds are $130 and I have done two ovidrel injections the first was $150 and the last was $96
Winston Salem
I think the entire staff works well together [at Carolinas Fertility Institute- Winston Salem]. They set great expectations on when my doctor will arrive and begin. They are very welcoming and open to answer any questions you may have. I also like that there's a clinic close but the other is not far away, so I don't have to travel far.... We are in progress of our first IVF cycle, so too early to tell. But every lab, procedure, ultrasound has been handled with great care.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
I think the entire staff works well together. They set great expectations on when my doctor will arrive and begin. They are very welcoming and open to answer any questions you may have. I also like that there's a clinic close but the other is not far away, so I don't have to travel far.
He is very thorough and any questions I have about what's happening, he will answer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Very organized and very welcoming.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I am very pleased so far with Dr. Y. He is very thorough and explains everything well and gives awesome recommendations. He also presents the best treatment possible for the best results. Only thing I will say is sometimes we have to wait a little bit for him to get started. But once he's begun, everything goes well and smoothly
Be open to his recommendations because he knows what he is talking about
My insurance had pretty decent coverage, but we were responsible for roughly $5,000 out of pocket up front

2 IUI, IVF
Great clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute] with very straightforward approach. I loved that it was small and everyone was very helpful and made you feel like a person and not just a number....Dr and staff were very kind and took the time to answer all questions...Dr. Mesen is very practical and not very talkative, but will take the time to answer any questions you have and is very caring towards his patients.
2 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Great clinic with very straightforward approach. I loved that it was small and everyone was very helpful and made you feel like a person and not just a number. Dr. Mesen is very practical and not very talkative, but will take the time to answer any questions you have and is very caring towards his patients.
Dr and staff were very kind and took the time to answer all questions
Nursing staff was wonderful, very kind and attentive.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Very candid and straightforward, which I appreciated. Felt comfortable with him and he took the time to answer any questions or concerns each visit and would also check in on my emotional health. Felt like there wasn't enough of an explanation the first visit that we would start with IUI before completing any testing (HSG, semen analysis, etc).
Ask any questions you have and make sure you fully understand what will happen when you leave.
50 mg of Clomid and IUI 36 hrs after trigger. Performed twice as both times I had a good response to Clomid with 2-3 follicles and sperm count was high. Third IUI was scheduled, but I opted to move on to IVF instead.
$1100 per IUI, including meds
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
The staff [at Carolinas Fertility Institute] was friendly. The office was clean. I felt like they cared and they wanted the best outcome for us...We had a very basic protocol. Our issue was with chromosomes not so much getting pregnant. I am under 30 and had good egg quality...The nursing staff was very friendly and was available for questions by phone if needed. They answered my questions and made me feel comfortable...I live in a different state. They were great about ordering testing I needed to make it more convenient for me!
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The staff was friendly. The office was clean. I felt like they cared and they wanted the best outcome for us. It’s always important to be an advocate for yourself no matter how great a doctor or clinic is.
He took time to answer questions or concerns we had. He would personally call us when we needed him and was available through text message.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
He didn’t rush us or our visits with him. He would give us his opinion on the course he thought was best but allowed us to make our decisions. He was compassionate and I trusted his recommendations for the best outcome.
Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to be an advocate for yourself.
We spend almost $30,000 on meds, testing, and retrieval/implementation.
He recommended one, which was also what we wanted. We did genetic testing and didn’t believe there was a reason to implant more than one.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
This clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is fantastic. They are friendly and knowledgeable. Billing is handled professionally and all costs are explained fully. Be prepared for a little bit of a wait though for office appointments. ... The nursing staff was competent and efficient. They explained everything I asked. My only criticism is I wish they would have explained the injection of medications a little bit better.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
This clinic is fantastic. They are friendly and knowledgeable. Billing is handled professionally and all costs are explained fully. Be prepared for a little bit of a wait though for office appointments.
Dr. Yalcinkaya was warm and friendly. He always addressed me by name and remembered where I was in my treatment.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Yalcinkaya listened to me, determined the cause of my prior infertility problems, and helped me have my beautiful baby girl on the first try. He was involved in every phase of my treatment and adjusted the treatment if my body did not respond as expected.
Opt for genetic testing.
Dr. Yalcinkaya performed one cycle of drug-stimulated, embryo transfer using donor sperm. Dr. Yalcinkaya was especially concerned with making sure my uterus was ready to accept the implanted egg and adjusted medication and delayed the cycle several times for that reason. This resulted in a successful pregnancy.
Dr. Yalcinkaya offered a guaranteed live birth IVF cycle for $15,000.
Dr. Yalcinkaya assured me we would only need to implant one embryo to get the one baby I wanted. He was correct.

2012 - 2016
It [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is a brand new facility. It's amazing with state of the arc equipment and labs!... I had an allergic reaction to some medication and the nurse kept me on it. Said that it was normal... during this cycle, we did not get pregnant.... I had to use estrogen shots, pills and patches. All of the shots and pills helped regulate my hormones so that they could manipulate my body into thinking it was ovulating naturally.
2012 - 2016
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
It is a brand new facility. It's amazing with state of the arc equipment and labs!
Dr. Y was always personable and knew our situation. He always asks about our girls when we go! His office staff, not so much.
Sometimes I felt like they weren't listening to what I was saying. They would take down what I say, but then tell me their answer and not converse with Dr. Y.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Yalcinkaya is awesome! From the very beginning he helped us and explained to us what was going to happen and how to prepare ourselves. Our first IVF cycle went great and we had twins. The next time we did IVF, it didn't work but he has done everything he can to help make our next cycle successful. He even called and did a phone conference with us for over 30 minutes to help us understand what might have happened.
Sometimes it is hard to understand Dr. Ybwith his accent, but just keep asking him to repeat it!
First cycle- $14,000 Second cycle- $3,500
Dr. Y left this decision up to us after giving us the pros and cons of each. I'm thankful for him respecting on wishes to transfer two embryos!
Greensboro

The clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is absolutely beautiful on the inside. Very clean and inviting. The front office staff is very friendly and outgoing. Both locations are very nice. I honestly don’t have anything bad to say about the Greensboro or Winston Salem office...During my IUI process I had direct access to the nurse staff including the cell phone numbers in case I had any kind of issues. They are all very compassionate and like Dr Y they care about your process.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The clinic is absolutely beautiful on the inside. Very clean and inviting. The front office staff is very friendly and outgoing. Both locations are very nice. I honestly don’t have anything bad to say about the Greensboro or Winston Salem office.
Dr Yalcinkaya has excellent bed side manner. He is very kind and really cares for all his patients and their particular needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer )
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr Y is fantastic in all ways. He is very knowledgable, compassionate and you can tell he loves his job. He has fantastic bedside manner. I had the best experience with him both rounds of IUI. Even though my cycles failed, I could tell he was just as sad as I was.
Tell him everything, even how you aren’t feeling. He will talk you through any and all information.
I had 2 rounds of IUI. I used Clomid and also injections. I then had the IUI procedure
I believe each IUI treatment was around $3,000 each.

Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Like most clinics, getting a hold of billing can be challenging [at Carolinas Fertility Institute]. The nurses are great. Also, the embryology lab is one of the best on the state. I live in CLT and went to that office primarily. You will mostly see Dr. Mesen there. The embryology lab is in Winston-Salm, so you will go there for retrievals and transfers.... We are very encouraged to do eSET and that’s what we will be doing due to the risk to the mother and babies associated with multiples.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Like most clinics, getting a hold of billing can be challenging. The nurses are great. Also, the embryology lab is one of the best on the state. I live in CLT and went to that office primarily. You will mostly see Dr. Mesen there. The embryology lab is in Winston-Salm, so you will go there for retrievals and transfers.
Dr. Y treats me with compassion and I truly feel that he wants us to have success.
Very responsive to emails and shows compassion
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
We had success with Dr. Y in getting PGS normal embryos. Also, each cycle resulted better and better results. Our first retrieval was at a different clinic and resulted in 0 embryos by day 5. Since then, our most recent retrieval resulted in all 4 of 4 day 5 embryos being PGS normal.
This is advice for a patient visiting any clinic is to be your own advocate. Do your research and ask lots of questions
I was on a protocol of micro dose lupron, plus Gonal F and Menopur.
Mostly covered by insurance so I didn’t pay attention too much.
Winston Salem

[Carolinas Fertility Institute- Winston Salem was] Very clean and organize. If something changed in the schedule they will tell you right away! Nice that they have a tv and you are not bored waiting for your turn. The staff is very knowledgeable and know whats going on with their patients..... [the nursing staff were] Very compassionate and nice to talk to... I was on gonal-f 375 units, menopur 75 units a night and cetrotide starting day 6 of stims. Did this for 9 days and then trigger on day 10.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
I felt like a person that needed help. Him and his team were all very helpful and got back to you right way. He was reassuring and he kept saying I would get pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Mandy Smith)
Very compassionate and nice to talk to
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
He was very nice and informative. Although he was not into giving me follicle numbers. I realized going through this that I should have never stressed out about follicle numbers. He always went the right course of action. Even thought there were setbacks he also wanted this to work as bad as I did.
Do not care about follicle numbers and try not to get stress to overcome you.
13000$
Winston Salem

She [nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute] gave me encouraging words when my tests came back not normal or my levels were still incredibly low. She advised some alternate supplements to take and not to give up...Costs were reasonable and the self pay discount is helpful since insurance doesn't cover treatment...Very friendly staff convenient locations all the latest technology and equipment convenient office hours
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
A human to a certain extent. My AFC was never measured and other fertility options were never discussed. Also, when my levels were tested, they didn't go in depth about what those numbers meant and how I can improve my levels or what the next steps were.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Marcey Halloran)
She gave me encouraging words when my tests came back not normal or my levels were still incredibly low. She advised some alternate supplements to take and not to give up
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
He has a great personality and a passion for infertility. He explained everything he was doing during treatments. During my initial consultation he explained everything in great details and the risks associated; if any.
He cares a lot about his patients and helping them to become parents.
Winston Salem

They [Carolinas Fertility Institute] have the best experts and the most advanced technology. Along with those qualities, they have a compassionate and caring staff. We always had their full attention and they were available to talk with us at all times.... It was on the expensive side but totally worth it. All costs were communicated clearly to us.... He [Dr. Yalcinkaya] was like a friend and we were in contact with him on his personal cell number at any time.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
They have the best experts and the most advanced technology. Along with those qualities, they have a compassionate and caring staff. We always had their full attention and they were available to talk with us at all times.
He was like a friend and we were in contact with him on his personal cell number at any time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Keri Lipe)
Very caring and compassionate. Professional every single visit!
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
He is very clear, well educated about our case, and compassionate about our feelings and needs. He spent a lot of time with us and gave his personal cell number for us to contact him at any time. We consider him a family friend and he was super excited when we had our twin boys.
He is the best in our area and possibly in the entire professional business.
Sperm retrieval. Egg retrieval. IVF and transfer.
We agreed for multiple transfer.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
As of right now it seems that they [Carolinas Fertility Institute] all know their stuff! I wish that there was an easier way to communicate with them. It seems that we had records sent there and they didn’t review them as they asked a lot of questions. ... We only met with two [nurses]. One was compassionate but still rushed. The other was slightly rude. ... Lab results from previous doctor couldn’t be found. Short during med protocol.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Too new to know. As of right now it seems that they all know their stuff! I wish that there was an easier way to communicate with them. It seems that we had records sent there and they didn’t review them as they asked a lot of questions.
I feel like he’s so busy but yet obviously good at what he does.
We only met with two. One was compassionate but still rushed. The other was slightly rude.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I think he wants the best for everyone but knows he’s so busy that he feels that he has to roll people in and out of his office quickly. He seems to really know his stuff. We are in the process of deciding to stay with him or not. The cost is a lot more than our old clinic.
Have a list of questions ready.
Ultrasound today. Metformin for PCOS. Still in progress.
$200 for ultrasound. $240 initial consult.
Recommends only 1 embryo due to high quality.
Winston Salem

Check your insurance coverage before hand and procedures so you know what to expect [at Carolinas Fertility Institute]. I had an HSG done and wasn’t aware that it would Be totally out of pocket because this clinic that my OB referred me to was entirely out of network...[nurses were] Very nice and compassionate...Overall comparable [costs] to most clinics. I just had to stop treatment because out of network so the little my insurance would cover at an in network wasn’t even covered
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Check your insurance coverage before hand and procedures so you know what to expect. I had an HSG done and wasn’t aware that it would Be totally out of pocket because this clinic that my OB referred me to was entirely out of network.
Very relatable and easy to talk to. Always available to talk to and explained things very well
Very nice and compassionate
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Strengths: good communicator, honest, caring, took time to speak with you and address concerns openly. Always had time for his patients. Gave his email out and number to call anytime you had concerns and questions
He honestly wants to help you, very positive and caring.
Letrozole 3-2.5 pills for 5 days Ovadril shot To stimulate ovulation and produce more follicles Had ultrasound monitoring Didn’t result in pregnancy
Overall comparable to most clinics. I just had to stop treatment because out of network so the little my insurance would cover at an in network wasn’t even covered

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
This clinic [Carolina Fertility Inst] was wonderful. Always fast to respond and keep you up to date. You are more than just a number to them. Everyone had so much compassion and showed the utmost respect. The offices are up to date in the latest technology and atmosphere is very calming. ... She [nurse] was very compassionate and caring. She was always upbeat and had a positive outlook.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
This clinic was wonderful. Always fast to respond and keep you up to date. You are more than just a number to them. Everyone had so much compassion and showed the utmost respect. The offices are up to date in the latest technology and atmosphere is very calming.
I was always spoken to with respect
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Marcie)
She was very compassionate and caring. She was always upbeat and had a positive outlook.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Yalcinkaya was wonderful. He was always very thorough and explained things in great detail. He never made me feel rushed. He was very personable and even gave out his personal email and cell number in case anything happened outside of office hours. The few times I emailed him, he always replied in a timely manner. He is top notch. I look forward to working with him again. Best bedside manner!
Come prepared and bring your spouse if that applies
IUI was very affordable. IVF is pricey and I am waiting to do it
Na