Genetic counseling: Offered
336-448-9100
3821 Forrestgate Dr.
Winston-Salem, NC 27103
336-448-9100
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Carolinas Fertility Institute to a friend?

2 doctors
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I could always contact him [Dr. Yalcinkaya] if needed - he makes himself available to his patients well after office hours. He is very kind and he will give his professional opinion and respect your ideas and plans as well. I never felt like I was being pushed into a decision that I was not comfortable with. ... My husband and I wanted to exhaust our other options before moving into IVF and Dr. Y has allowed us that time but is now suggesting that we start considering it more seriously.
Staff is great just be patient as you wait. They are very flexible when it comes to scheduling me or fitting me in last minute - this happens more times then it should but they are always wonderful and get me in there. ... Crystal and Emma [nurses at Carolinas Fertility Inst] are so sweet and helpful! Crystal has returned every phone call and answered every question that I have every asked, sometimes there have been multiple questions in a day. ...
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I have not seen Dr. Yalcinkaya at every appointment because there have been several months that I just go in for additional bloodwork or in many cases an ultrasound for an IUI or timed intercourse. I scheduled many of those appointment on days he is at his other clinic. Every time I needed to talk to him or there was an issue with my treatment, I was scheduled on a Monday or Wednesday so that I could see him. He has a staff that is very knowledgable and I did not feel like I had to see him each and every time. I could always contact him if needed - he makes himself available to his patients well after office hours. He is very kind and he will give his professional opinion and respect your ideas and plans as well. I never felt like I was being pushed into a decision that I was not comfortable with.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Please be patient when you are waiting to be seen. Dr. Y takes his time with each of his patients and sometimes that means that appointments get a bit delayed. Also, ask questions, don't be afraid to ask questions, he will answer all of your questions!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Y is in the Greensboro office on Mondays and Wednesdays. Each time that I had an appointment on those days, I met with him. I was able to ask him questions and talk about current and future treatment options. I never felt rushed at all. Sometime this meant that I stayed after closing to talk to him and there was a time or two that he gave me and my husband his number to talk so that we could talk to him via phone conferencing when we could not get off of work. Also, the ladies that work in the office are amazing! Crystal and Emma are so sweet and helpful! Crystal has returned every phone call and answered every question that I have every asked, sometimes there have been multiple questions in a day. They are so kind and patient!
Describe the protocols Tamer Yalcinkaya used in your cycles at Carolinas Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
I started with timed intercourse with Letrozole and Metformin. I have PCOS so this is a very typical pathway. The Letrozole helps ovulation and the Metformin helps get a period - both of these are very hard to accomplish with PCOS without medication. My perscriptions were increased in strength when I started at Carolinas Fertility Insitute. After a couple of months, he suggested having a sperm analysis done on my husband. After the sperm analysis it was found that my husband had lower than perferred sperm motility so we talked about options. My husband was perscribed medicine that helps with sperm molitity which did help. We continued with timed intercourse and added Ovidrel shots to help mature follicles during ovulation. We then did 3 cycles of IUI within 5 months, using medication, and Ovidrel injections. Those were not successful for us. My husband and I decided to keep trying the timed intercourse with medication route because it was the most affordable route for us. We did get pregnant after about 12 cycles. However, he miscarried so after. Dr. Yalcinkaya talked to my husband and I about our thoughts on IVF. We had talked about IVF off and on throughout the year with and with Dr. Y but I am overweight and was trying to lose weight to give IVF more of a chance and it is also expensive and we will need to get it financed. My husband and I wanted to exhaust our other options before moving into IVF and Dr. Y has allowed us that time but is now suggesting that we start considering it more seriously. We were able to met with the anesthesiologist and get cleared to egg retrieval despite still being a bit over the BMI requirements. Once my cycle returns we will be able to start the journey down the IVF pathway. We are hopeful that this avenue will work for us. Dr. Y has said that our chances on success increases to 60-70% with IVF and that prior to implanting the fetus into the uterus they will be able to do gentic testing and see which eggs have the highest chances of success and by doing this we are hoping to avoid another miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Crystal (Hepburn?) )
The nursing staff at Carolinas Fertility Institute in Greensboro is awesome! They are so very kind and helpful. I can't remember everyone's name but Emma is really sweet; she often checks me in and occasionally helps with my bloodwork - I have tiny, impossibly small veins. Crystal is AMAZING! She has done a lot of my ultrasounds and answers a lot of my questions both in the office and on the phone. I feel like I am always asking her questions, sometimes multiple questions in a day, and she always returns my calls and is kind and patient with me.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
I paid for visiting a specialist at the first appointment, $80 after insurance. I had to pay for the sperm analysis $250 (not covered by insurance). Each month my Metformin and Letrozole is about $10 together, after insurance. Each month when I take Ovidrel, I order that through a fertility medication company for $107, I don't believe insurance covers any of it. When we did the IUIs, those cost $1,000 each and we did 3 cycles of IUIs. I had genetic testing on my bloodwork in the beginning which is sent to another company, Natera, I had to pay $250 for that but some insurances cover that but mine did not - depends of medical history according to my insurance company. I also had an after clinic hours phone conference with Dr. Y one evening beforewe started IUI to talk about the procedure then again to talk about IVF; I was only charged $45 for a lengthy phone conference at 6:30pm. I have not paid anything additional for each of my monthly visits or additional bloodwork. I have had approximately 12 ultrasounds and the dye test on my fallopian tubes and those most all be covered fully by my insurance company because I never saw a bill for those and I have asked for an update on my account; currently $0 balance. We are about to start IVF. I met with the anesthesiologist last weekfor a consultation and I was not charged for that meeting. I have been given some rough estimations for IVF but nothing concrete yet as we are just not starting this process. IVF does not appear to be something my insurance covers, at all so here are some estimations I have been given. The process is estimated to be $13,000 - $15,000; medication will be $3,000 - $6,000; implantation of embryo is about $2,800; genetic testing on embryos - know sure yet but national average is around $3,500 (this is a number I found online because I fotgot to ask during our consultation but I will). There is a program to help pay for medications that aren't cover by insurance; Compassionate Care Program - it is a quick process, I heard back within 3 days. This program covers between 10 - 75% of medication costs. Please keep in mind that these are just estimations that I was given at the end of last week - I am still in the beginning stages.
Greensboro

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute.

2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF
Dr. Mesen has always made it clear to us that he cares about us and cares that we get pregnant. He has always done everything possible to ensure the best results for us. When we lost our baby at 9 weeks in February, I could visibly see the impact it had on him and he was upset for us...He even provided me with his cell phone number so I could reach him after hours. This was a Godsend when I was roughly 6 weeks pregnant and began spotting. I reached out to him for assurance and he was there to tell me what to do. It was determined that I had an SCH and he moni
Our clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute] does ICSI for all of their IVF protocol options. After the retrieval, they gave us the results of our 5 day embryos, then sent the best 8 off for genetic testing. (Our package only included payment for 8 embryos to be tested, but we could have done more if we wanted). We had retrieved 28 total embryos and had 21 make it to day 5. Of our 8 that were tested, we had 5 come back normal, 2 were mosaic and one was abnormal.
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Mesen has gone above and beyond to provide excellent care to my husband and I. He even provided me with his cell phone number so I could reach him after hours. This was a Godsend when I was roughly 6 weeks pregnant and began spotting. I reached out to him for assurance and he was there to tell me what to do. It was determined that I had an SCH and he monitored us every week until we ultimately lost our baby at 9 weeks. The compassion he showed during this time was amazing. He scheduled me for a D&C and when he assured me he would be performing it himself, I was so relieved. I have come to trust him more than any other provider I've seen and even somewhat dread the day we "graduate" from his clinic and I have to begin seeing someone else for prenatal care. Of course it will be very bittersweet because it will mean we finally have our miracle baby on the way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I would advise them to be open and honest about questions that you have and what your goals are. He is easy to talk to and if there is something you don't understand, he will make sure you do before he leaves the room.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Mesen has always made it clear to us that he cares about us and cares that we get pregnant. He has always done everything possible to ensure the best results for us. When we lost our baby at 9 weeks in February, I could visibly see the impact it had on him and he was upset for us. Even at our follow up appointment, he said again how upset he is that it hadn't worked for us. He genuinely wants this for us and it's apparent in the care he provides.
Describe the protocols Tolga Mesen used in your cycles at Carolinas Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
Our first 2 attempts were with IUI with Letrozole. We had originally planned to do a third course of IUI in which he had prescribed Clomid, to see if we could get better results. At this point, my husband and I inquired whether we could move forward with IVF instead, which we ended up doing, so we only did the 2 IUI's. For my retrieval, I was on Leuprolide, Menopur and Gonal-F which I understood was a pretty normal treatment protocol. I also had a dose of HGH for a trigger shot before retrieval. Leading up to retrieval, my husband and I were both on an antibiotic for roughly 4 days to ensure we remained healthy. We had decided on genetic testing and freeze-all. Our clinic does ICSI for all of their IVF protocol options. After the retrieval, they gave us the results of our 5 day embryos, then sent the best 8 off for genetic testing. (Our package only included payment for 8 embryos to be tested, but we could have done more if we wanted). We had retrieved 28 total embryos and had 21 make it to day 5. Of our 8 that were tested, we had 5 come back normal, 2 were mosaic and one was abnormal. Once we were ready for transfer, we moved forward with a genetically normal male 5AB graded embryo. 8 days after transfer, I went in to have the beta test done. My levels came back at 85. I went back 2 days later and they were 163 so I was officially pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Slifka)
The entire nursing staff at CFI has been phenomenal. Everyone from the girls at reception (Courtney and Kaitlyn) all the way to primary care coordinators (Ashley and Rachel) were amazing. They are friendly, know us by name when we walk in to the clinic, answer any questions we may have, return phone calls promptly and just provide amazing care 100% of the time. I really can't praise them enough. When we found out at our 9 week ultrasound that there was no heartbeat, the first person to hug me was the nurse who was in the room (and I can't for the life of me remember her name). When she wrapped her arms around me, it wasn't just a half-hearted hug from a random person, but it was a strong, heartfelt hug which was just what I needed in that moment. I could tell that the staff was impacted by our loss just as we were. I really love each and every one of the staff members there. And although Ashley was originally technically appointed as our "primary care coordinator", every person there has had an equal hand in our treatment and has meant just as much to us.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The clinic itself is very welcoming, clean, professional and warm. I wouldn't say there are any weaknesses because although sometimes there are lengthy wait times, I would expect nothing less of a doctor's visit. Most of the times that we arrive, we are taken back in less than 10 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Each round of IUI was $1,000 plus the cost of the Letrozole which I believe was minimal. The cost of our IVF which included retrieval, freezing embryos, a year of storage and genetic testing of 8 embryos was $14,025. They did end up giving us a discount since we wrote a check so it ended up being about $200 cheaper. The total cost of the stimulation meds was about $4,600. All labs that we had done prior to retrieval were not included in our package so we had to pay for them separately. We also did a screening for Cystic Fibrosis which was about $250. My results came back and stated I was a carrier so my husband then had to be tested for another $250. When it came time for transfer, that cost was $3,000. There have been many many lab appointments which usually run anywhere from $20-$60 each.
Describe Tolga Mesen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Because our embryos were genetically tested, we understood that there really was no need to transfer more than one embryo. I think it was as much our decision as it was Dr. Mesen's because we did not want a multiples pregnancy and with genetically tested embryos, we felt sure that transferring only one would yield the results we wanted.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
When I went in for my first beta test, I was told I would receive a phone call the same day with the results. I never got the call and the next morning, I called them to see if the results were in and they were. However, I don't hold this against them for 2 reasons. The first being that we got the results we wanted, so I was over the moon excited. The second was that it was the first and only mistake they've made and we are all human and I'm not going to hold that against them.
Charlotte

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute.

Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I ended up with 9 mature follicles with 3 blasts [with Dr. Yalcinkaya]. 2nd round I was on omnitrope and estrogen for priming, menopur and GonalF along with omnitrope for stims. Retrieved 4 follicles with 1 blast from that cycle. Was able to go straight through this cycle without any pausing of medication...He was very compassionate and very knowledgeable and his bed side manner was amazing! He even gave his cell phone number to us!
I ended up with 9 mature follicles with 3 blasts [at Carolinas Fertility Institute]. 2nd round I was on omnitrope and estrogen for priming, menopur and GonalF along with omnitrope for stims. Retrieved 4 follicles with 1 blast from that cycle. Was able to go straight through this cycle without any pausing of medication...They [nurses] were always on top of everything...My monitoring was done in the Sister clinic in my state and was absolutely wonderful! They are the best! Dr Patton and his whole staff are wonderful!
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
My experience was amazing! He was very flexible with my treatments if I needed some thing adjusted or changed he done so, he explained everything in great detail. The only negative thing I had to say was that it took him a little while to get back to you if you texted or called after hours or on the weekend.
Ask questions and have a list prepared of what you want to ask before hand
My first round was Lupron and estrogen priming every thing looked good til day 5 of stims which were menopur and GonalF ...I stopped having follicle growth so my cycle was paused and I went in 5 days later and had great follicle growth, so my cycle was restarted. I ended up with 9 mature follicles with 3 blasts. 2nd round I was on omnitrope and estrogen for priming, menopur and GonalF along with omnitrope for stims. Retrieved 4 follicles with 1 blast from that cycle. Was able to go straight through this cycle without any pausing of medication.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Marcey )
They were always on top of everything
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
They have absolutely no weakness..they were top notch and made you feel like family ...they were great with patience and had great teaching skills. Explaining everything in depth and making sure we were comfortable with everything
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
$22,450 for the IVF and $12,500 for the medications
Describe Tamer Yalcinkaya's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
I don’t have any ...I would transfer what they recommend.

Anovulation, Unexplained
[Protocol with Dr. Mesen included] Three rounds of femara for IUI (did not work), followed by IVF and FET (Gonal F + Menopur)...Under 35, so he recommended single FET...He's very personal and does all ultrasounds himself. It meant a lot that he personally texted me and called with important updates. We could tell he wanted us to succeed...He shares facts, doesn't sugarcoat anything, and is obviously really working hard to help you. He's very accessible and I felt confident that he was always on top of my case and next steps throughout treatment. He's always very efficient. I rarely had to wait for more than 10 mins and was in and out of appointments within 15 mins. He may not be warm and fuzzy as first, but he genuinely wants you to succeed and achieves great results, so his bedside manner (which is great and fact-based regardless) was less important for us.
Ashley [nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute] was great! We emailed almost daily during retrieval and after, and she would always get back to me...The only hiccup was with ordering IVF meds. Things were called in last minute, and charged to my insurance, which ended up eating up a large portion of my lifetime benefit. I did wish someone went over financial options for ordering meds and it wasn't done 3 days before my cycle was starting. I had to spend a lot of time on the phone with the pharmacy and the IVF coordinator to get my meds ready for CD1.
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr Mesen is great! He shares facts, doesn't sugarcoat anything, and is obviously really working hard to help you. He's very accessible and I felt confident that he was always on top of my case and next steps throughout treatment. He's always very efficient. I rarely had to wait for more than 10 mins and was in and out of appointments within 15 mins. He may not be warm and fuzzy as first, but he genuinely wants you to succeed and achieves great results, so his bedside manner (which is great and fact-based regardless) was less important for us.
Come prepared with questions, and follow his recommendations.
Ashley was great! We emailed almost daily during retrieval and after, and she would always get back to me.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
CFI is the only place I would go or recommend. I went to two other clinics for advice (large national provider, and large Charlotte-based clinic), and CFI is the only place where I felt like the center of attention and everyone's concerns. Communication is open and transparent, I had full access to my RE, and didn't have to deal with portals, voicemails, online forms etc. It felt like a very human-to-human experience, which is crucial for patients going through fertility treatments.
~10K out of pocket, and ~15K through insurance
Under 35, so he recommended single FET

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Y [Yalcinkaya] is patient and listens to me... He's amazing. He is definitely always late so, you're gonna have to get over it if punctuality is "your thing". When he arrives you have his FULL ATTENTION. I appreciate that he speaks in common terms not just medical jargon.... We didn't know I had endometriosis until in surgery to clear a blocked tube. He removed one and explained why. He is very detailed with all explanations and will repeat several times if you need it.
The Greensboro office [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is older and they don't have cleaning wipes in the bathroom for after ultrasounds. The first time that I went for one, the didn't have any pads. Be sure to bring your own. The Winston Salem office is great.... I LOVE Ms. Kincaid. I wish u could only see her. She has the best attitude and is so uplifting. Even when the news isn't what you want, she has a positive way of presenting it
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Write down your questions/ concerns because sometimes the appointment can be overwhelming and you may leave without a piece of info.
Dr. Y is patient and listens to me which was the opposite of where I left. Nurse Kincaid makes me feel like she's in this fight with us. 99% of the staff are so pleasant and encouraging
I LOVE Ms. Kincaid. I wish u could only see her. She has the best attitude and is so uplifting. Even when the news isn't what you want, she has a positive way of presenting it rather than being "matter of fact". She is a blessing to her profession!
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The Greensboro office is older and they don't have cleaning wipes in the bathroom for after ultrasounds. The first time that I went for one, the didn't have any pads. Be sure to bring your own. The Winston Salem office is great. Again, Dr. Yalcinkaya is usually late so plan accordingly. He will give you his full attention when you see him, rather than rushing you along.
IUI $1,000.00 + Ovidrel shot around $160.00 through their pharmacy connection since my normal pharmacy was over $200.00 + Femara $7.00 copay. IVF is around $28,000.00 including medication.
N/A I haven't done ivf yet
Greensboro

He [Dr. Mesen] prescribed my husband a male fertility vitamin as his semen analysis was not great and on the low side of normal...I really was not expecting Dr Mesen to be the one to do all of my ultrasounds or treatments but he was there every time and answered all my many questions. It was comforting to know I would see the same doctor every time...I had never had an interuteran ultrasound before so he said that’s the first thing I needed and then proceeded to walk me to the room to have it done right then. I did appreciate the urgency though after trying naturally for 2 years. During my follow ups he did soften his demeanor and after my first IUI answered the list of questions I had before he left the room and told us he wanted to hear good news in two weeks which I appreciated. He really does want us to be successful. After the first two IUI’s failed, he agreed that a change in medication would hopefully help for the third IUI so he does listen to his patients and take into consideration their thoughts on the process.
[The nurses at Carolinas Fertility Institute that] I’ve interacted with have been very delightful! My time has always been valued and they want me to be as comfortable as possible...they pulled up a chair right next to me for my husband to sit in during the IUI procedures so he could hold my hand...I had to have blood draw to check estrodiol levels and was told I would get a call back by 4pm. I had to call them and then wait for the results to be reviewed. Granted I needed to pick up my tigger shot based on those results so it was time sensitive.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
At the initial consulation I found Dr Mesen to be a little too direct and to the point. It was all very medically explained. I had never had an interuteran ultrasound before so he said that’s the first thing I needed and then proceeded to walk me to the room to have it done right then. I did appreciate the urgency though after trying naturally for 2 years. During my follow ups he did soften his demeanor and after my first IUI answered the list of questions I had before he left the room and told us he wanted to hear good news in two weeks which I appreciated. He really does want us to be successful. After the first two IUI’s failed, he agreed that a change in medication would hopefully help for the third IUI so he does listen to his patients and take into consideration their thoughts on the process.
If you have questions for Dr Mesen, come prepared with them at time of ultrasound/treatment. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or have him clarify things. Sometimes he not very detailed.
At the initial consult, Dr. Mesen recommended starting with 3 IUI’s and then reassessing if needed. I kept taking all of the vitamins I was currently taking. He prescribed my husband a male fertility vitamin as his semen analysis was not great and on the low side of normal. IUI 1 and 2 Femara 5mg cycle days 3-7. He told us he thought I would respond better to Femara than Clomid. IUI 3 (in progress) Clomid 100mg cycle days 3-7. Since I only had one mature follicle for the last two treatments, I wanted to increase the dosage and he agreed I would do better with Clomid. That is yet to be determined as of this review.
All of the ladies I’ve interacted with have been very delightful! My time has always been valued and they want me to be as comfortable as possible. They put down extra padding on the procedure chair when I had my period and they pulled up a chair right next to me for my husband to sit in during the IUI procedures so he could hold my hand.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Strengths- small clinic, one on one approach, personalized care, see the same Dr every time, convenient location, will call back same day if you have to leave them a message. Can get appointments on the days Dr. Mesen wants to see you back. Weaknesses- since there is one doctor in the office, the appointment times on the days you need to come in are very limited. I’ve learned that the time they give you is the only time they have. Their insurance team is great. They went though all the steps to see if treatment was covered even though we knew going in it wouldn’t be.
$1000 per IUI- included all ultrasounds and the procedure. Trigger shot- $112- by pharmacy Dr Mesen referred me to for lower cost Clomid- $25- from neighborhood pharmacy.
Greensboro

I felt this MD [Dr. Mesen] has a "cookie cutter" approach to fertility. I was given instructions that literally didn't even apply to me...I felt this MD was treating me based on my insurance. during our first consultation, he literally insulted my insurance in front of me! Called them "such a pain". I don't think he was invested in me as a patient because my insurance was not the VA...Infertility is heartbreaking enough without having to deal with MD's worried about insurance compensations determining level of treatment.
weakness [at Carolinas Fertility Institute]: treating patients based on their insurance status...strengths: nurses were very nice, compassionate. MD could spend more time learning about the patient and their infertility issues BEFORE prescribing a method...the nurse that drew my blood was absolutely awesome. At the end of my last visit, I was so upset and unsatisfied. She talked to me while drawing blood and I didn't even notice the needle or the draw. Anytime I had a questions, the nurses called me back promptly.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I felt this MD was treating me based on my insurance. during our first consultation, he literally insulted my insurance in front of me! Called them "such a pain". I don't think he was invested in me as a patient because my insurance was not the VA. To all Veterans, when the VA recommends this office first, please ask for their second. If he doesn't think he can treat veterans fairly or want to deal with the VA, he should have himself removed from their list. Infertility is heartbreaking enough without having to deal with MD's worried about insurance compensations determining level of treatment.
Veterans, when the VA recommends this MD to you. Please ask for second on their list. To him, dealing with the VA is a pain. So who wants a MD that sees you as "a pain" to them. Also, you will be in a billing battle. They put me down as self pay and I have received all the bills for outside facilities (labs and ultrasounds). Ironically, his office visit bills made their way to the VA for processing and not to me and collections.
I felt this MD has a "cookie cutter" approach to fertility. I was given instructions that literally didn't even apply to me. When that didn't work, I asked him were we still on that paper, he nonchalantly said, "oh, we're way off that." I felt like he was backtracking and treating me after his first solution didn't work. When my condition and unique situation could have been talked about and treated properly the first time.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
weakness: treating patients based on their insurance status. Simply stated: VETERANS AVOID THIS CLINIC. its not worth the added headache. strengths: nurses were very nice, compassionate. MD could spend more time learning about the patient and their infertility issues BEFORE prescribing a method.
I am in collections because of this office. This MD cost me my first experience with a fertility specialist. I'll never get it back.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Billing - on my fist appointment, I made sure they had a copy of my VA referral. the referral was extended for my second cycle of treatment. I started receiving multiple bills (not his office visit). I called the billing dept and they said I was marked as SELF PAY! They sent me to collections. I still have debt collectors calling me and bills being mailed to my address. I talked to the billing office and they said they would resolve the issue, yet I am still receiving bills. He has stopped my fertility journey at his one stop. medication - He didn't want to wait on the VA to send me the medication. He seemed in such a rush to get me pregnant as if he could do it himself. He wanted everything filled the same day and started the same day. I feel a better approach would have been to check with me and my timeline. or at least ask my input. He gave me the cookie cutter fix without knowing if it applied to me. Yet it seemed as though he didn't care or had confidence that since it worked for others, it should work for everyone. that's how I felt. Maybe your experience will be different.
Charlotte

Every single appointment I get to see Dr. Mesen (rather than just a nurse) and while he is not particularly warm he always makes me feel like he has all the time in the world to discuss my concerns. I have never felt rushed during appointments with him. I ask a lot of questions and like to really understand my treatment options and he has always discussed them thoroughly with me and never talked down to me or made me think my questions were stupid.
The clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is very individual, small, personable staff, top notch lab. Appointments generally run on time with the exception of the initial new patient appointment. No weaknesses yet that I have seen.... There was one result they forgot to call me about and I had to call in when I realized I still hadn't received the information. It would not have changed the course of treatment however.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Strengths: articulate, descriptive, considers preferences of patient rather than just what he professionally thinks, quick to answer questions via phone or email, available at each appointment, realistic Weaknesses: not particularly warm, hasn't shown much compassion, doesn't have a bad bedside manner but also doesn't have the greatest, sometimes have to ask specific questions to get the information you want
He will give you as much information as you ask for but isn't always forthcoming so be prepared with questions.
IUI- Letrozole- 3 pills of 2.5 mg each 1x/day for days 3-7, ultrasound on day 11 or 12 of cycle, trigger shot based on ultrasound and then IUI (done by him). IVF- agonist protocol I believe, Estrogen patch after ovulation of prior cycle until day 2 of current cycle, ultrasound day 2 or 3 for baseline, menopur mixed with gonal F 262 units for 2 days then 225 for 1 day then ultrasound, then 225 one day and then reduced to 187 the next day with followup ultrasound the day after. That's as far as I've gotten but I know at some point Cetrotide will be added and then HCG will be used as trigger prior to egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Mandy)
Very thorough, friendly and compassionate, communicated quickly via phone or email even on the weekends, gave me her cellphone number over a holiday, very clearly and thoroughly explained medications
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The clinic is very individual, small, personable staff, top notch lab. Appointments generally run on time with the exception of the initial new patient appointment. No weaknesses yet that I have seen.
1,000 per IUI, 13,095 for IVF, and then other fees associated with procedures like a hysteroscopy and bloodwork which I can't remember the totals for
He highly recommends 1 embryo for my age (31) and health but says in the end the decision is ours to make.

Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. Mesen] was caring and took time with every single patient (I understand I may need to wait a little longer because he is taking time with another patient, I appreciate it when he does that with me). He is completely on-board with moving as slowly or quickly we want to move with treatments and isn't afraid to take an aggressive approach, but seems to try to be as realistic as he can along the way.
Strengths are that it [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is a small clinic and you see the same doctor and nurses every visit, they remember you by name and seem to truly care and are invested in your well-being and success. They are very competent and intelligent about what treatments to take and aren't afraid to take the "difficult" cases.... Weaknesses are that they can be unorganized at times and not completely clear with medications, your plan and instructions.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
He was caring and took time with every single patient (I understand I may need to wait a little longer because he is taking time with another patient, I appreciate it when he does that with me). He is completely on-board with moving as slowly or quickly we want to move with treatments and isn't afraid to take an aggressive approach, but seems to try to be as realistic as he can along the way. I also appreciate that he was available off hours if there was an emergency, I didn't have to go through a nurse to speak to him.
Don't forget to do your own research as well and be your own advocate (I would give this advice for any doctor), but there is only so much he can remember with how many patients he is seeing and it is up to you do ask questions and advocate for yourself.
He cared as much about our well-being as he did with the treatments, it wasn't just about the science. Every visit he takes time to ask how we are doing.
I'm not sure what protocol, but seemed standard. He preferred to go off of my natural cycle instead of starting me on birth control. My IVF meds were gonal-f, cetrotide, and menopur for retrieval, I also started my cycle using estrogen patches and estradiol pills. For FET I started on the patches and pills and started PIO shots 5 days before transfer.
I think I'm hard to please when it comes to nursing staffs. No matter what clinic I'm at, I find that they are unorganized and don't always communicate the best and can forget to pass information on. At CFI I would say there were slightly above average.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Strengths are that it is a small clinic and you see the same doctor and nurses every visit, they remember you by name and seem to truly care and are invested in your well-being and success. They are very competent and intelligent about what treatments to take and aren't afraid to take the "difficult" cases. They also have advanced technology and amazing embryologists, which is incredibly important. Weaknesses are that they can be unorganized at times and not completely clear with medications, your plan and instructions. It would be incredibly helpful if they would print out information sheets with instructions on what you need to do and other helpful tips and information. The clinic is also growing in popularity which means more patients and longer waits. i don't feel like my care is being compromised, but I feel there will be a tipping point where they have more patients than they can handle.
It was around $14,000 for the IVF cycle (with ICSI), that included 1 FET. Each FET after that was $2900. PGS testing was around $4000 for 8 embryos, but I might be off on that amount though, but it was around that.
He didn't have a preference, answered our questions about it, but left it completely up to us, which I appreciated.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Communication could be improved, I've had meds forgotten to be order, I wasn't given proper instructions and have been told things, then the clinic wouldn't remember. It all comes done to being more organized which would result in better communication. Nothing which caused a treatment to fail, but more annoyances and leaving me to be more on top of things.
Winston-Salem

Tamer M Yalcinkaya was always very honest and informative. Also, he was very friendly. The only problem i had with Tamer was that he told us that they would not bill my insurance for any IUI treatments even though we had the code and spoke to the insurace company prior.... First he wanted to do an ultra-sound to make sure everything was clear. He wanted to do an HCG, however i didnt need to at the time, because i had just recently had one done.
All of our issues came from the nursing staff [Carolinas Fertility Institute]. First, In December i was given a quote by the doctor during a consultation. I could not set an appointment because i did not know when or if i would get my period. In January when i started my cycle, the nursing staff told me the price was 400-600 dollars more and they would not honor the quote given in December because i did not have an appointment.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
To make sure you will be seen at the time of your appointment, and be firm with the support staff. It seems like the support staff does not care about why you are there. its stressful enough to have trouble getting pregnant, so you should not have to deal with bad service.
I am not happy with their service and that is the reazon I only did one cycle at Carolina Fertility. My Insurance pays for 3 cycles of IUI, and they wouldn’t bill it. I feel like they only care about the money. I paid $1000. I got there right after my husband, and as far as I know there is a time frame that this must be done within. I waited for more than 1 hour because they did not have a room for me at the time of my appointment, but we paid a week before so is not like we just showed up. With how long me and my husband have been trying to have a baby, and how we were treated, our experience here was very stressful.
First he wanted to do an ultra-sound to make sure everything was clear. He wanted to do an HCG, however i didnt need to at the time, because i had just recently had one done. After that he started me on Chlomid on the 3rd to 5th day of my cycle. Around day 10 of my cycle he did another ultra-sound to check the size of my folicles and egg quantity. After a second positive ovulation test i went for the IUI treatment. My husband went that morning to drop off his sample, then i showed up 30 minutes after he was done. Once the IUI was completed i was instructed to test for pegnancy 2 weeks after. This was not successful.
All of our issues came from the nursing staff. First, In December i was given a quote by the doctor during a consultation. I could not set an appointment because i did not know when or if i would get my period. In January when i started my cycle, the nursing staff told me the price was 400-600 dollars more and they would not honor the quote given in December because i did not have an appointment. That makes me feel like the nursing staff does not advocate for me. The worse part was that when i arrived for my appointment, 30 minutes after my husband dropped off his sample, i had to wait more than one hour. I asked every five minutes when would my room be ready, and the nursing staff never did anything to help me. When i finally got to my room, well after my time frame had passed to do the IUI, the room was occupied by a staff member laying in the bed. The two staff members were upset that they had to leave the room that i paid for and no patient was being helped.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Strength: Nice facility, clean, phone calls are answered quickly. Weakness: Small rooms, not much privacy, they will not bill your insuarance, they do not respect your appointment times, very busy and will not let you rest as long as other clinics after the IUI. They use a specialty pharmacy out of state and you must order your meds way ahead of time. They use that pharmacy because it is not as expensive.
1000 dollars up front
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Please read previous responses. i was very detailed.

Anovulation, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. Mesen] sat us down in his office to have one on one talk with us, he had my chart open in front of him constantly taking notes. I also get to see him and speak to him directly at every monitoring visit.... Don’t take his quietness for rudeness., also be ready to got for whatever treatment, he wastes no time....I am on 7.5 mg of femara because clomid doesn’t work as well in patients with PCOS. I also do an ovidrel trigger shot when my follicles are mature enough
I love that the clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is so small, it definitely helps you feel like a human and not a number. But the smallness is kind of an issue also, it was hard to get in for a new patient appointment but it’s so worth it.... Self pay ultrasounds are $165 you’re not required to have blood work done as part of your monitoring. I know IUI self pay package is $1000.... There is one nurse that is kind of stand off ish. But she gets better, other than that they are all wonderful and will answer any questions you have.
Anovulation, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Mesen is great. His bedside manner can use some work, but I think it’s because he’s just somewhat of an awkward person. The more times I’ve got to see him and talk to him he has warmed up a lot. He’s very straightforward, and he gives you the facts and tells you exactly what is best. He try’s to also explain to you why something might work better than something else. I felt relief when I walked out of his office in the consultation, I felt like I was taken seriously and that if anyone could get me pregnant it would be him. You just have to give him a little time to warm up to you.
He sat us down in his office to have one on one talk with us, he had my chart open in front of him constantly taking notes. I also get to see him and speak to him directly at every monitoring visit.
I am on 7.5 mg of femara because clomid doesn’t work as well in patients with PCOS. I also do an ovidrel trigger shot when my follicles are mature enough, then 4 days after I take the shot I start with progesterone. Because I’ve had two miscarriages. This is only my second cycle on this protocol and I haven’t got to test to see if I’m pregnant yet, fingers crossed.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
I love that the clinic is so small, it definitely helps you feel like a human and not a number. But the smallness is kind of an issue also, it was hard to get in for a new patient appointment but it’s so worth it.
I have not had to do IVF yet so I’m not sure.

2017 - 2019
He’s [Dr. Tamer Yalcinkaya] very knowledgeable and explained treatment in a way I could understand. I didn’t ask a lot of questions because IUI was simple to understand, but I appreciated his willingness to break down what was going to happen.... After tests revealed our only problem was his motility initially he was given a vitamin regimen and we tried on our own for 3 months following my normal HSG test. We then tried IUI 3 times in back to back cycles because at that point his sperm was looking normal. The protocol included 7.5 mg of Femara CD 3-7, an ultrasound day 10-12 to check follicles, and a trigger shot 36 hours prior to IUI with my husband’s samples at about 20 million each time. We took a break for 7 months and tried IUI one more time last month and it failed again.
Clinic [CFI- Winston Salem] is well organized and easy to schedule with- I would recommend the clinic to anyone struggling to conceive. I do not hold it against the clinic that I have been unable to conceive since unexplained infertility is such a mysterious problem.... I paid 480 out of pocket for the first three IUIs when my insurance was in network and offered partial coverage- my Ovidrel trigger shot was 50 dollars at that time and Femara was covered as well as bloodwork, HSG, and ultrasounds. We switched insurance last summer and are now out of network so my 4th IUI was a 1000 dollar package for the ultrasound and wash/insemination.
2017 - 2019
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
He’s very knowledgeable and explained treatment in a way I could understand. I didn’t ask a lot of questions because IUI was simple to understand, but I appreciated his willingness to break down what was going to happen.
Manage expectations since IUI has a much lower success rate than IVF. I thought IUI would be successful even though Dr. Yalcinkaya told me it was only about a 40-45% cumulative success rate, and I was surprised that I did not get pregnant because the procedures went well- I responded well to Femara and my husband produced good samples.
I was treated well
The nursing staff is kind and compassionate- they’re always super helpful.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Clinic is well organized and easy to schedule with- I would recommend the clinic to anyone struggling to conceive. I do not hold it against the clinic that I have been unable to conceive since unexplained infertility is such a mysterious problem.

Anovulation, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Hysteroscopy [with Dr. Tamer Yalcinkaya] to help remove scar tissue. Blood work for recurrent miscarriage. Femara and "trigger shot" for IUI...I felt Dr. Y was caring and had my best interest in mind. It is hard to feel exactly like a human and not a number when a doctor is dealing with multiple patients each day, but I felt he tried his best to keep my situation separate, and unique to me...He is very knowledgeable and has up to date research to back up his recommendations. I do however feel that sometimes I was leading my own care, and would have liked some stronger opinions from Dr. Yalcinkaya, however on the same token I liked that he would allow me to have blood tests and procedures performed that I thought necessary for my treatment.
Nursing staff [at Carolinas Fertility Institute] was very kind during my procedures with Dr. Y. They were also very attentive to my needs when I would email or call regarding treatment protocol. The only negative comment I would say is that I was not always aware of what steps to take next, and would have to ask myself instead of it being explained to me before leaving the office...Lab results were not always called in to me to report findings.
Anovulation, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I felt Dr. Yalcinkaya was very educated in his field. He is very knowledgeable and has up to date research to back up his recommendations. I do however feel that sometimes I was leading my own care, and would have liked some stronger opinions from Dr. Yalcinkaya, however on the same token I liked that he would allow me to have blood tests and procedures performed that I thought necessary for my treatment.
Be open minded. Also be prepared to wait to see Dr. Y, but know that when it is your turn he will spend the same amount of time with you as he does with every other patient.
Hysteroscopy to help remove scar tissue. Blood work for recurrent miscarriage. Femara and "trigger shot" for IUI.
Nursing staff was very kind during my procedures with Dr. Y. They were also very attentive to my needs when I would email or call regarding treatment protocol. The only negative comment I would say is that I was not always aware of what steps to take next, and would have to ask myself instead of it being explained to me before leaving the office
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Strengths- New, up to date technology. Nice, clean environment. Responsive to calls and emails Weakness- long wait times. Treatment was not described before leaving the office and you were sometimes left unaware of what was to come next. Also, billing was messed up at one point during my treatment, but since has been fixed with a new billing provider
Appointments & US- around $400. Hysteroscopy- around 2,000 IVF cycle around 24,000
unknown
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Lab results were not always called in to me to report findings.

Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Yalcinkaya always made time for my husband and I. After our egg retrieval, our results were much different than what we were expecting.... My husband and I were upset and worried and Dr. Y made himself available after hours to speak with us on the phone for as long as we needed.... Dr. Yalcinkaya is a wonderful doctor. It was very clear from our first meeting that he cares deeply about his patients and his work. He is very intelligent and is a leader in his field but can explain complex scientific techniques in a way that is easy to understand.
While the level of care, the doctors and nurses are amazing, the clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is VERY busy and obviously somewhat understaffed. I have had wait times for appointments last just a few minutes to over an hour. I will also say that sometimes the costs of things are not made clear... For a single IVF cycle including retrieval, monitoring and a fresh transfer my cost with insurance coverage was $5500. I paid an additional $800 or so for meds.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Yalcinkaya is a wonderful doctor. It was very clear from our first meeting that he cares deeply about his patients and his work. He is very intelligent and is a leader in his field but can explain complex scientific techniques in a way that is easy to understand. He always made me feel comfortable with my treatment and made sure to tell us at every appointment that we could call him anytime if we had any questions or concerns. He is a little quirky and for a couple times during our first appointments we had to remind him of our situation (I think this comes from the clinic having a TON of patients), but once he got to know us, he could remember small things we had said or asked about months prior.
I would say be prepared to be patient not only with Dr. Yalcinkaya but also with the process itself.
Dr. Yalcinkaya always made time for my husband and I. After our egg retrieval, our results were much different than what we were expecting. Even though we had 29 eggs retrieved, we only had 3 embryos make it to freeze and they struggled to get there. My husband and I were upset and worried and Dr. Y made himself available after hours to speak with us on the phone for as long as we needed. He is always very thorough in his explanations and offered as much advice as to what our next steps would be as he was able. It is obvious that he cares for his patients and wants the best outcomes for them.
I did an agonist IVF protocol. We began with a uterine biopsy (endometrial scratch), bloodwork and mock transfer (same as a SHG) about a week prior to my protocol starting. All of Dr. Y's IVF patients start this way and it is to rule out any potential problems (and to treat them if they are found) prior to the start of IVF. I began my protocol with Synarel instead of Lupron because Synarel also helps control endometriosis flare ups which I do have a history of. I did Synarel twice a day for 14 days and then continued with Menopur (1 vial), Gonal F (225), Doxycline (twice a day) and baby aspirin for another 9 days. During that time I had 4 ultrasounds. At my last ultrasound before retrieval, I had 29 mature follicles (and several more immature). Because of the number of follicles I had and because my estrogen level was elevated, Dr. Y recommend that we do a frozen transfer instead of a fresh because he was concerned about overstimulation. At first I was disappointed but later was thankful because I was somewhat overstimulated after my retrieval and I wasn't in a condition to successfully transfer at that time. The procedure itself went smoothly and I felt very comfortable. We retrieved 29 eggs, of that 12 were mature and 9 fertilized normally. We ended up with 3 day 6 blasts that were frozen. Dr. Y was a little concerned with my numbers since we had expected a lot more higher quality blasts based on my AMH/blood work and age. Before moving on to our transfer he recommend more extensive genetic testing for my husband and I. We are currently awaiting those results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Marcey)
Marcey is absolutely wonderful. She is warm and caring but also has a sense of humor. She always made me feel at ease and answered any question I had regardless of how silly it sounded.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
While the level of care, the doctors and nurses are amazing, the clinic is VERY busy and obviously somewhat understaffed. I have had wait times for appointments last just a few minutes to over an hour. I will also say that sometimes the costs of things are not made clear - this was more so my experience when I was doing IUIs, but also somewhat during my IVF treatment. You really need to be your own advocate and ask a lot of questions.
For a single IVF cycle including retrieval, monitoring and a fresh transfer my cost with insurance coverage was $5500. I paid an additional $800 or so for meds. This did not include any additional testing/procedures prior to the start of my cycle or additional non-routine blood work requested during my cycle.
Greensboro

Dr.Yalcinkaya is a compassionate doctor who goes out of his way to help his patients. He really wants what is best and is positive in nature while also explaining what may realistically happen. He has never given up on us and continues to remind us every visit that we WILL have our miracle baby. I have secondary infertility and he immediately tackled my personal needs at the pace that we were comfortable with.
I set up a payment plan [at Carolinas Fertility Institute] from the beginning. The IUI was roughly $500 not including the cost for my husbands sample analysis and medications needed...The staff are super friendly and helpful. They do everything in their power to help meet your individual needs and do not pressure you into anything. They show compassion and care and I feel like they are there for me 24/7. They are fully invested and really care about each need.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Ask questions! He is very open to answer all questions you have. Be honest and candid with what is realistic for your family.
Dr.Yalcinkaya and his nurses almost automatically knew me by name. They understanded our circumstances and talked us through each step.
We started out by getting the diagnosis of PCOS and secondary infertility. He put me on metformin (2,000 mg per day). After 2 cycles of timed intercourse with the use of femara, we began IUI treatments. I did 2 of those without injections (Menopur and Ovidrel) and one with injections. I then developed an ovarian cyst that needed to be treated with Sprintec birth control for 2 weeks. We will be having our 4th IUI next week using menopur and Ovidrel along with femara.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Marci)
Marci was so excellent! She always called me back to answer any questions I had and never pushed me into anything I wasn’t comfortable with.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
I set up a payment plan from the beginning. The IUI was roughly $500 not including the cost for my husbands sample analysis and medications needed.
Winston-Salem

I think Dr Yalcinkaya is fanstastic. He has an amazing ability to calm my nerves when I see him. He is also confident and gives me hope during my visits. When the first IVF cycle was canceled he immediately had a plan to change my protocol. I can easily reach him by text or phone with questions.... The first cycle we did miniIVF: Gonal F 150 Units, Menopur 75 Units, Lupron, micronized: 2 injections daily. Also took Doxycycline 100mg twice daily, aspirin, extra folic acid and a prenatal vitamin. He used this rationale for lower dosing based on my DOR - he felt I would produce the same amount of follicles regardless so opted for lower doses.
Strengths: accessible docs, nice facility, friendly. You get test results very quickly. Weaknesses: mostly growing pains, poor communication sometimes with nurses. I think a new patient would want to know that I did not feel like another number there [Carolinas Fertility Institute] and felt very well cared for. I have never been rushed at my appointments and had all my questions answered before leaving.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I think Dr Yalcinkaya is fanstastic. He has an amazing ability to calm my nerves when I see him. He is also confident and gives me hope during my visits. When the first IVF cycle was canceled he immediately had a plan to change my protocol. I can easily reach him by text or phone with questions. Where else can you find that ?!
Have a list of questions you want to ask. Ask about your plan of care (protocol). Ask him his thoughts on any other factors (male factor, endometriosis, etc). Be prepared to leave hopeful that you have a plan in place :)
The first cycle we did miniIVF: Gonal F 150 Units, Menopur 75 Units, Lupron, micronized: 2 injections daily. Also took Doxycycline 100mg twice daily, aspirin, extra folic acid and a prenatal vitamin. He used this rationale for lower dosing based on my DOR - he felt I would produce the same amount of follicles regardless so opted for lower doses. This time he added Cetrotide instead of Lupron, and increased the Gonal to 225Units.
There is only one staff member that I have issues with. She completed my med order incorrectly twice. I had to take the bull by the horns and facilitate fixing the error to ensure I got my medicine in a timely fashion. She does not communicate well and it often takes her several hours to respond to emails or calls
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Strengths: accessible docs, nice facility, friendly. You get test results very quickly. Weaknesses: mostly growing pains, poor communication sometimes with nurses. I think a new patient would want to know that I did not feel like another number there and felt very well cared for. I have never been rushed at my appointments and had all my questions answered before leaving.
The cost for miniIVF with meds was around 10k. This is far less than traditional IVF and less than most clinics
Dr Y said we could transfer 2-3 embryos and we are ok with that. He thinks at my age 1 in 3 will be normal

Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr Y [Dr. Yalcinkaya] sits down with you in his personal office to discuss your options, not in a room while you are draped in a paper gown. He tells you every piece of information about the why's and how's and always offers hope and success stories....he was listening to my history and he said I want to see your ovaries today if that's ok with you. This was surpring to me but I was overjoyed that something was going to happen that day and the ball would begin rolling.
This clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is extremely welcoming. You will never be shuffled around like a number on a paper. Every single person that works there makes you feel like they work FOR YOU. They will laugh with you and cry with you....The nurses are amazing at CFI. They call and remind me of appointments and give me blood results and plans of action. They will talk with me on the phone as long as it takes to get my questions answered.
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Dr. Y is such a down to earth person who happens to be a fertility genius. You can tell off the bat he is passionate about his work. He brings you in his personal office to discuss your options and you don't leave until all your questions are answered. He always offers up a story of hope and you leave feeling like he wants a baby for you as bad as you do.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't let money stop you from going. I am a cash pay patient as my insurance doesn't cover fertility treatments and I have always been well informed of cost in advance and shared with opportunities to save money. They empathize that my family has saved for a long time to make this a reality. They have never treated me like I can't afford their treatments.
Dr Y sits down with you in his personal office to discuss your options, not in a room while you are draped in a paper gown. He tells you every piece of information about the why's and how's and always offers hope and success stories.
Well firstly he was listening to my history and he said I want to see your ovaries today if that's ok with you. This was surpring to me but I was overjoyed that something was going to happen that day and the ball would begin rolling. I had follicles that looked perfect and he was excited about that which also made me excited. He said go home and have intercourse and maybe you won't even need to come back. I was shocked that he had hope and it sent me home walking on clouds. He said if this doesn't work, I have back up options. He told me my body does what it needs to do by making eggs and that he would like to perform an hsg to make sure the eggs have a way to release. He told me in detail what that consisted of including out the door cost. He shared even some success stories about hsg tests resulting in pregnancy in other patients. He answered my questions and talked with my until 15 mins after the office closed. That just doesn't exist in the world of medicine these days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Lorianne, Ashley)
The nurses are amazing at CFI. They call and remind me of appointments and give me blood results and plans of action. They will talk with me on the phone as long as it takes to get my questions answered. It is obvious by talking with them they have so much confidence in Dr. Y and are also passionate about what they do.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
This clinic is extremely welcoming. You will never be shuffled around like a number on a paper. Every single person that works there makes you feel like they work FOR YOU. They will laugh with you and cry with you. Their offices are located so that they are easy to find and available to people all around NC. CFI is worth a drive, let me tell ya!
As I said earlier my costs are strictly out of pocket, from savings that have been a long process to get/keep. They knew that going in and kept me informed of all my fees before any services were decided on. They told me ways to cut costs and what to do if any hidden fees appeared and who to call directly if I got any bills in the mail that I didn't understand. People hear fertility treatments and think 10s of thousands of dollars but don't let that intimidate you. It's very affordable to sit down with Dr. Y and hear your options.
Greensboro

Dr. Yalcinkaya is an excellent listener, he put my husband and I at ease and gave us confidence in the process. He made himself available, so if I left an appointment and had a follow-up question, I could send him an email and he was prompt to respond. He was very understanding of the emotions surrounding infertility and gave me the time I needed to ask many questions or even cry if I needed to (and did).
The staff [at Carolinas Fertility Institute] did not always know who I was, why I was coming into the clinic or basic answers to questions (mainly when I called), until they finally asked around. I felt like I constantly had to restate where I was in the process and ask for details regarding the procedure. There seemed to be a disconnect, not an effort to get to know my as a patient.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Be knowledgeable about the process and ask as many questions as you need to.
Dr. Yalcinkaya took the time to go through all details of the process with me, both in person and via email.
I don’t remember in detail (I took a break from treatments but will be going back this month). He performed the HSG test & ultrasound. I continued to take femara (prescribed initially by my gyno) and before the IUI I gave myself a shot of Ovidrel in my abdomen.
The staff did not always know who I was, why I was coming into the clinic or basic answers to questions (mainly when I called), until they finally asked around. I felt like I constantly had to restate where I was in the process and ask for details regarding the procedure. There seemed to be a disconnect, not an effort to get to know my as a patient.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The clinic, overall, was very professional and anytime I had an issue or a question, I could touch base with Dr. Yalcinkaya (who was understanding and receptive). The staff, at times, seemed busy or a bit disconnected, but Dr. Yalcinkaya addressed these issues and listened to my concerns.
I don’t remember the exact costs but the one IUI procedure (including the sperm wash, IUI, doctor visit, Ovidrel shot) was a bit over $800.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
It mainly had to do with the Ovidrel not being ordered on time, which I ended up doing. Also the bedside manner and communication style from some of the staff members could be improved. However, these things were addressed and overall I am very happy with my experience.

2010 - 2018
My husband was diagnosed with azoospermia and after testing they [Dr. Tamer Yalcinkaya] could not determine the reason of his infetility and they suggested sperm donation but I really wanted a child that was mine and his. That is when Dr Yalcinkaya trialed him in Clomid for about three months sure enough he had about 18 sperm! ... He prescribed metformin on me as I was diagnosed with PCOS. This would help with the insemination and he kept me on this medication until about 10-12 weeks of pregnancy to maintain the pregnancy.
The only thing that I think should improve is the billing aspect as the young lady [at Carolinas Fertility Institute- Winston Salem] is not super helpful. I requested a bill be sent to me and I never received it! An ultrasound was done and apparently my part to pay was over 200 dollars but I never received a bill explaining this or am still not sure why this was not covered by my insurance.
2010 - 2018
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
He is very knowledgeable on what he is doing and does it specifically to meet my medical needs and takes time to explain everything to where I can understand! My husband was diagnosed with azoospermia and after testing they could not determine the reason of his infetility and they suggested sperm donation but I really wanted a child that was mine and his. That is when Dr Yalcinkaya trialed him in Clomid for about three months sure enough he had about 18 sperm! He never gave up on us and respected my wishes! I will forever be thankful that because of him I have my sweet munchkin!
You have to be very patient and trust his recommendations!
He remembers every detail of my medical history and knows me as a patient!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Lori Marion)
Lori is very patient and is for the most part always available. She will repeat anything that doesnt make sense as many times as you need her to. She was compassionate and patient!
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The only thing that I think should improve is the billing aspect as the young lady is not super helpful. I requested a bill be sent to me and I never received it! An ultrasound was done and apparently my part to pay was over 200 dollars but I never received a bill explaining this or am still not sure why this was not covered by my insurance.
At the time I had Cigna insurance and honestly my insurance took care and covered most of my costs but they did have an option of financing.
At the time he suggested I only transfer one embryo because of my young age at the time but we ended up using transferring two embryos. Only on stayed!

PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr. Mesen is very detailed and treats each patient differently according to what their diagnosis is. He was very hands on during our treatments and made sure we understood what to expect. If there was a problem we were able to get answers in a quick and timely manner... We were able to transfer two embryos on our first transfer because we had a history of pregnancy loss. They do let most couples decide which they would like to transfer but it does depend on the history and diagnosis of the couple.
The Charlotte office of CFI is small and you are seen in a timely manner. The staff is friendly and accommodating. Everyone is knowledgable about Reproductive Endocrinology and very helpful. When you have questions they are quick to help you and get answers... They have a specific IVF nurse at CFI that deals with all of the IVF patients at each location. She is the one that communicated with me the most through email. They also have a set nurse who takes your blood and does all the labs. They always responded in a timely manner and made sure you understood the results they were giving you.
PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Expect to get started on treatment right away. At CFI they want to help you get pregnant so they will cover all bases before moving forward. They will do blood tests to rule out any issues and come up with an individualized plan to help you succeed. Dr. Mesen gives you direct and clinical answers in a way to help you understand possible reasons why you may be struggling with infertility.
When we went for each appointment I always saw Dr. Mesen. He was the one who did my ultrasounds and at each appointment discussed our protocol and what I could expect in a very detailed way.
For our IVF cycle we had a specific plan that worked with my PCOS. We stimmed with Menopur and Gonal F for about 8 days before retrieval. We did do a freeze all because of my estrogen level and then the next month we transferred two embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
We did mini IVF and it was around $6,500
Charlotte
I was not always seen by Dr. Yalcinkaya, as he has multiple offices. I was never told that he would not be the doctor I would see. ...During my last round of IUI, Dr. Yalcinkaya did not see me at any point. His partner saw me and read my chart incorrectly, announcing that he was sure this would work because they had just cleared up some blockage in my tubes during the HSG test. Well, that test was a year prior to this visit. To have a different doctor who doesn’t even read the chart thoroughly before entering the room definitely left me feeling less than happy about the doctor or the clinic.
[Carolinas Fertility Institute- Winston Salem is] Clean and efficient once in the actual patient rooms. The nurses knew how to work all the equipment efficiently. The andrologist was always exceptionally kind and patient. One time my husband’s sperm sample was not at the number she ideally wanted so she allowed him to come back and do a new sample. Front receptionist was kind upon arrival but never provided wait time updates unless I asked, approximately 30 minutes after scheduled time.
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Ask if he will be providing your treatments at all appointments and if not to meet who will support him in your journey.
I was not always seen by Dr. Yalcinkaya, as he has multiple offices. I was never told that he would not be the doctor I would see. In addition, wait times were extremely long, sometimes longer than an hour sitting in the waiting room with. I regard that I had work to get to and that I did show up in time for all of my appointments.
We used timed intercourse with fertility meds to try and get more mature eggs during my fertile period. When that was unsuccessful, we tried 3 rounds of IUI to increase chances. I took fertility meds and ovulation shots. With an unexplained infertility diagnosis this was an appropriate medical plan.
It was generic remarks: we know this is hard, everything looks good, good luck, etc. The andrologist was the most kind, heartfelt, and caring person in the office.
$450 per IUI and $80 for visits
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
I just will never forget my last IUI being done by the head nurse and not the doctor. She had a terrible time getting the catheter (may be the wrong term) in and it became uncomfortable and stressful. I wasn’t even told that the doctor would not be the one doing it. I was very disappointed.
Winston-Salem

Dr. Mesen is incredibly available, having given me his personal cell phone number and email. I was able to reach him nights and weekends, and he never failed to return a call. He is kind and patient, and he always explains the process and protocol.... IVF with long lupron protocol, with a fresh 5d transfer, for unexplained infertility. I responded well to the protocol. Fresh transfer resulted in a CP, so an FET was scheduled. Due to failure of the first transfer, he recommended transferring 2 embryos, but I wasn't ready yet, and we transferred just one. Upcoming FET will transfer 2 embryos. FETs are done with medicated prep (estrace and vivelle).
[Carolinas Fertility Institute is] Small size, RE conducts all ultrasounds, very communicative, have to travel for ER and ET, no early morning hours, your surgical procedures may be conducted by Dr. Y.... $15,000 for IVF, which included ICSI, ER, all ultrasounds and monitoring, fresh transfer, freezing of all embryos for 1 year, unlimited FET of all embryos retrieved until viable pregnancy. If this does not result in a pregnancy, I will be refunded $12,000, which would pay for another IVF cycle.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Mesen. He is easy to reach, kind, patient, and ready to explain all the minute details. On the few occasions I had a misunderstanding with a nurse or other issue, he always fixed the problem personally. His work ethic is impeccable.
Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Maureen)
The staff is excellent, though on occasion, it would take a day or 2 longer than expected to hear back from the IVF coordinator. Generally, though, they were responsive and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
We reviewed the statistics several times. He recommended a single transfer the first time due to my age, but 2 embryos for the 2nd transfer, though he allowed me to override that decision.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Only once did my nurse not call me back. I thought I needed to start a prescription that day, but I was able to reach the doctor directly and confirm that the next day was fine. It did not delay or impact my cycle in any way.
Winston-Salem

Dr. Yalcinkaya is a very good doctor. He takes the time to explain what he thinks is wrong and what he believes the best course of action is. He is flexible and gives options if you are not ready for a certain treatment. He is sympathetic to patients. He gives patients a way to reach him after hours for any questions or issues. He is often late to appointments and procedures, however, and it is hard to tell whether it is because he has a lot of responsibilities or whether it is because he is poor at time management...
The biggest issue with the [Carolinas Fertility Institute] clinic is wait times for appointments. Often I would wait for over an hour in the waiting room. The waiting room was comfortable but obviously it is not ideal to be kept waiting so long...Be prepared with questions you want to ask before your appointment. Be prepared to wait a long time for your appointments...
How was your experience with Tamer Yalcinkaya at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Doctor was kind and sympathetic during appointments and reachable after hours as well. Provided thorough explanations and reasoning for his recommendations. The only issue with his care is that he was often late to appointments. We were often kept waiting for hours.
After determining that I was ovulating, that my tubes were open and that sperm counts were slightly low but within normal parameters, Dr Yalcinakya recommended IUI as our first course of treatment. He said I likely had endometriosis but he could not diagnose it for sure without surgery. We started with letrozole 7.5 mg on days 5-9 of my cycle. An ultrasound was done after completing the letrozole to check my response. Then IUI was scheduled. I was instructed to use Ovidrel trigger ~36 hours before the IUI. My first cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy, so the doctor said we should try again. After 2 additional failed cycles with the same protocol, he recommended a change of strategy. He said he was sure I would get pregnant with IVF, but other options would be to do a laparoscopy to check for and remove endometriosis or to do IUI with injectable medications. Since we were reluctant to do IVF, we went with the surgery. Endometriosis was confirmed and the doctor removed what he found. We then did a 4th cycle of IUI. Letrozole 7.5 mg was used again but Menopur was added as well. I had an ultrasound after completing the meds to determine the response, and then IUI was scheduled. I was instructed to use a trigger shot ~24 hours before the IUI. This IUI was successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
The nursing staff was generally helpful but it was difficult to get someone on the phone right away. Usually you had to leave a message and wait for a call back. If you were to miss the call back it could result in fairly endless phone tag.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The biggest issue with the clinic is wait times for appointments. Often I would wait for over an hour in the waiting room. The waiting room was comfortable but obviously it is not ideal to be kept waiting so long.
ultrasounds - $150, IUI - ~$400, Consultation ~$90
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
A couple times the nurse did not call in the prescriptions I requested to the pharmacy. The issue was rectified quickly once I reminded her.
Greensboro

My experience with Dr. Mesen has been great. He had to perform a surgery, and he knew my insurance wouldn't cover it at his coincidentally, so he reserves time at a local hospital. He doesn't sugarcoat things, which I appreciate. While he gives his professional input, he also let's you decide your next steps!... Dr. Mesen mentioned that he does not prefer multiple embryo transfer.
The clinic atmosphere [at Carolinas Fertility Institute] is very welcoming, which is important when you go to appointments that can be very nerve-wracking. The office personnel are professional and kind, and will always return your call if you have any questions. Dr. Mesen is very professional, yet, was able to make small talk, and crack jokes with my spouse, which was very comforting. So far, with this clinic being the second clinic I've attended, I feel confident in my choice to switch.
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I would suggest to get your preliminary paperwork in quickly, so that you will be put on a wait-list, otherwise, your initial appointment could take months.
Dr. Mesen took his time to review my charts from another clinic, and explain what makes CFI different than my previous clinic. During the consultation he took the time to perform a procedure, and I didn't at all feel rushed! While perhaps the next scheduled client was delayed, I feel like it is worth it to feel like someone is there to help while you're already there, vs. stay so strictly to his schedule.
The nursing staff were helpful, yet quiet.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The clinic atmosphere is very welcoming, which is important when you go to appointments that can be very nerve-wracking. The office personnel are professional and kind, and will always return your call if you have any questions. Dr. Mesen is very professional, yet, was able to make small talk, and crack jokes with my spouse, which was very comforting. So far, with this clinic being the second clinic I've attended, I feel confident in my choice to switch.
Dr. Mesen mentioned that he does not prefer multiple embryo transfer.
Charlotte

[Dr. Mesen] is very optimistic. He takes the time to thoroughly explain procedures and you can tell he genuinely cares about his profession...We were told that IVF was our only option. He gave us hope that IUI could be attempted. He was realistic about our chances, but still remained optimistic. I always felt at ease going to see him. I loved how he took the time to explain everything to us. I never felt as though I was being rushed out the door.
The clinic [Carolinas Fertility Institute] is very busy, but scheduling is easy once you have had a consultation. I scheduled an appointment in the Winston-Salem office to avoid the 4 month wait in Charlotte. Once you have received a consult, you can be seen in any office...They [nurses] are very caring. One showed me how to use the Ovidrel shot since it was my first time. They are very friendly and will always answer questions and take time to explain things.
He’s absolutely fantastic!
Dr. Messen is very optimistic. He takes the time to thoroughly explain procedures and you can tell he genuinely cares about his profession.
I took 5 days of Clomid and went in for follicle measurements. Our first IUI was done naturally instead of using a trigger shot of Ovidrel due to a positive OPK the day before insemination. This one resulted in a negative pregnancy test. The second one we did with 5 days of Clomid and a trigger shot. Due to my ovulation from the first cycle, they adjusted the days of my ultrasounds to a day or two earlier. I got pregnant off my second round with only 4 mil sperm post wash.
They are very caring. One showed me how to use the Ovidrel shot since it was my first time. They are very friendly and will always answer questions and take time to explain things.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The clinic is very busy, but scheduling is easy once you have had a consultation. I scheduled an appointment in the Winston-Salem office to avoid the 4 month wait in Charlotte. Once you have received a consult, you can be seen in any office.
I paid $200 for genetic testing on myself. Each IUI cost $1,000.