Genetic counseling: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
1025 Morehead Medical Drive
Charlotte, NC 28204
704-355-3149
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Carolinas Medical Center to a friend?

9.8

9 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
The Women's Institute [ at Carolinas Medical Center] is a great place for you if your case is simple and straight forward. If you have a more challenging situation (as I do with DOR), they will push you to donor eggs or other options without thinking outside the box...when the clinic was closed due to a fire, they bent over backwards to help ensure I could monitor that day (at a different part of the hospital) and ultimately do an IUI with another local clinic. I appreciated that, even though it didn't work. The nurses and techs keep that place moving, without a doubt.
9 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
What started as a good experience turned sour within a year. The Women's Institute is a great place for you if your case is simple and straight forward. If you have a more challenging situation (as I do with DOR), they will push you to donor eggs or other options without thinking outside the box. They put their numbers first before patients. That's fine - they are running a business - but people should know there are other, better options out there, especially if you're willing to travel out of state. For several months, they were helpful in allowing me to do satellite monitoring at their facility. That was a big help because it was a place I was generally comfortable and familiar with the procedure. The cost was also lower than other clinics in the area ($50 a visit vs. $150 - plus the cost of tests). As of March 1, they are not allowing that anymore. I spoke with the head of the clinic and literally begged - after all, it was their choice not mine that I wasn't a patient of theirs anymore. They wouldn't budge even an inch. In the span of 11 months, I was turned away and disappointed twice by the same clinic. Needless to say, I am disappointed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Due to my high FSH, Dr. Usadi told me I was not a good candidate for IVF. I took that as a fact. 9 IUIs later (4 with expensive injections!) she clarified that I wasn't a candidate for IVF according to her practice's standards. They wouldn't take me on for IVF with my own eggs because the risk was too great it wouldn't be successful and would lower their statistics. I spoke with 15 other doctors after that for consults, sharing all of my medical records. Nearly all said they would not only take me for IVF but believed it would work. Further, those doctors also said they would have pivoted to IVF after no more than 4 failed IUIs. I endured months and months of treatment that would never work because she wasn't transparent enough and put the practice's statistics before me. I am working with a new doctor now (Dr. Jeanne O'Brien - Shady Grove) and she believes it will work. I've had two retrievals with multiple eggs, including a recent one resulting in two PGS-tested and approved embryos. I also had a total of 3 interactions with Dr. Usadi in the year I was working with that clinic. I have seen and spoken with Dr. O'Brien far more frequently in less time even though I am out of state.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Kathleen Bratschi)
The nursing staff at the Women's Institute was terrific and compassionate. They were also my only contact with the clinic 99% of the time. Kathleen did all of my IUIs and I saw Dr. Usadi four times - twice at consults, once at an ultrasound (an exceptional situation where they did ultrasounds offsite for a day) and once passing in the hall (she clearly had no idea who I was). I will also note that when the clinic was closed due to a fire, they bent over backwards to help ensure I could monitor that day (at a different part of the hospital) and ultimately do an IUI with another local clinic. I appreciated that, even though it didn't work. The nurses and techs keep that place moving, without a doubt.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
She's smart and I do believe she knows her stuff. But she (or maybe it's her practice) is not innovative, not flexible and not willing to work with patients that don't fit inside the box of their standards. I wish I knew then what I know now about this process - I would have wasted far less valuable time working with a doctor that didn't believe in me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Get alternate opinions! That's good advice regardless, though. Ask a lot of questions. Push and advocate for yourself.
Describe the protocols Rebecca Usadi used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
The first group (4 or 5) of IUIs were medicated by Clomid. The amount varied - too much caused my lining to thin and not enough didn't cause a strong response. She did optimize based on that. After those failed, we moved on to Gonal-F to produce more follicles and a better response. She didn't provide nearly enough information about it in advance, though, and we were shocked by the cost. Dosage of Gonal-F varied as well - often it was high one day, low the next. I've told other doctor's that protocol and it didn't make sense to them but what do I know.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center.
The costs were fine. My insurance covered a good chunk of the actual procedures.
Charlotte

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center.

5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
CMC woman's institute is awesome! they are great with scheduling and getting you in to your appointment on time. the only thing i would suggest is allow for at least 15-20 mins prior to your appointment time. Ive never had this problem but they have turned patients away if they were more than 15 mins late.... oh my gosh we love Jennie! she is bubbly and happy. we just adore her. she makes everything make sense. she is very helpful and compassionate. Always gets right back to us if we have a question or concern.
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Hurst was very kind to us. He is a goofy guy but was straight forward with us. And he wants the best for us. He believes that he can help my husband and i to become parents.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Hurst made me and my husband feel comfortable. when our original doctor retired Dr. Hurst stepped up to the plate and took on our case. He was very optimistic that he could help us along on our journey to parent hood. he is always positive and looked for the good in everything even though we have been diagnosed unexplained infertility. he believes in us and we believe in him. we also like the fact that he is a bit nerdy and goofy. he is always trying to make us smile when we sit down to meet with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
get ready for some weirdness - he has a goofy sense of humor.
Describe the protocols Bradley Hurst used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Hurst started with my husband and i at the end of our last IVF treatment. our treatment resulted in a pregnancy but i miscarried 3 weeks later. he was there for me after i miscarried naturally. He preformed an ultrasound to make sure i had passed everything and then he took the time to speak with us and let us know what treatments were available to us if we decided to continue. he was very comforting and gave great emotional support to both my husband and i.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center.
i have not had any costs under Dr. Hurst because we just started with him a few months ago. but prior too we have spent at least 20,000 on IUI's, 2 rounds of IVF and medications. my insurance provider does not cover any fertility costs.
Charlotte

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
I love this clinic [Carolinas Medical Center- Charlotte]! A con which could also be a pro is that there is a maternal fetal specialist in the same office. A pro and con is that you will see others with children in the waiting room. Some clinics do not allow children due to the nature and sensitivity of everything, so be prepared to see others with children or others who are pregnant.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I love this clinic! A con which could also be a pro is that there is a maternal fetal specialist in the same office. A pro and con is that you will see others with children in the waiting room. Some clinics do not allow children due to the nature and sensitivity of everything, so be prepared to see others with children or others who are pregnant.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
When I miscarried, she cried with me... when my mother-in-law passed away, she helped me with that as I was going through IVF at the time. She was always available for me for any needs I may have. She and her nurse team treated me like I was the only patient; I was never rushed or pushed aside. She is amazing!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenny)
Jenny and the entire team became a second family to me. Jenny was always available to talk to me about my fertility treatment and she also helped me through a lot of anxiety and trouble I experienced. I feel blessed to have had her and the team to help me.
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Matthews is a very warm, open reproductive endocrinologist. She always allows me to ask any question I may have and I’m never made to feel stupid and she explains things perfectly for me. She is always looking for ways to better help me. Infertility is a difficult journey and having a provider who understands that and you can tell they genuinely care, it makes a massive difference.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
To listen. She offers a lot of help and information.
Describe the protocols Michelle Matthews used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
In the beginning we tried IUI twice; the first being an EVIE and the second being a traditional IUI. She wanted to give me the opportunity to try EVIE in hopes that it would help me and I also wanted to do it because it was part of a study and any help I can give back to the infertility community, I’m up for it. Both IUIs did not produce children. With both IUIs I had used Femara (not sure of dosage) and Ovidrel shots. I had multiple ultrasounds and it showed I was responding, but I didn’t get pregnant. A few months after IUI failed I began the IVF process. I had lots of testing and an endometrial scratching in hopes it would better my chances. At the time I was very overweight and she recommended that I lose at least 10% of my body weight and it was extremely difficult and I was unable to meet that goal, but I did go on to do IVF. She chose to do a higher dosage of IVF medications due to my weight. I was closely monitored and had ultrasounds every other day and sometimes every day to make sure I was responding well and not overstimulating. I used Gonal-f, cetrotide, menopur, estrogen patches, and ovidrel; I know I had a few other things as well, but I do not recall everything. I do not remember the amounts. I had 10 eggs retrieved, 7 were fertilized, 4 grew, then 2 slowed down and I was left with 2 in the end. I was not overstimulated from IVF, so I had a fresh embryo transfer. I did not get get pregnant. A few months later, I was prepped to have a frozen embryo transfer. Both embryos looked great. The frozen embryo had no damage and appeared perfect. I did get pregnant from the frozen embryo, but sadly miscarried shortly after.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Carolinas Medical Center.
You are treated with care and respect. You are a human and not a number!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center.
I have some fertility treatment coverage through my husband’s employer, so it would be different for someone who is self pay; however regardless of your situation, they try to find ways to help with costs such as coupons and discounts. The pharmacy there is also great for this too!
Charlotte

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center.

I think the biggest weakness would be the time it took to get an appointment. I was lucky because they fit me in very quickly because of my history...but the original wait was going to be 4 months to get my initial appointment....The entire staff at the Women’s Institute in the RE Department really took care of me. They were personable, professional and had a lot of compassion.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I think the biggest weakness would be the time it took to get an appointment. I was lucky because they fit me in very quickly because of my history (of losing my first child to a stillbirth at 34 weeks then having secondary infertility) but the original wait was going to be 4 months to get my initial appointment.
I cry just thinking about Dr. Hurst. He was gentle and compassionate and he a lot of time looking over my history (I suffered a stillbirth at 34 weeks pregnant on Christmas Day last year) and I could tell he was invested in my success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Paisley)
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
He is personable and I felt so cared for. I felt like he was on my team but he was also very truthful with me. He is so intelligent and knowledgeable and you can tell he really has a passion for it. He understood my history of a stillbirth and was an encourager for seeing us being home a baby.
Listen to him and trust the process.
After our first meeting Dr. Hurst looked at me and said “I’m not very patient”. And he proved that to be true. He was and is active and helping us become pregnant. In this journey so often women feel constant pressure (from themselves and their dreams) and having a doctor that is telling you THEY are also in a rush to see you pregnant is amazing. I don’t remember the dosage of Clomid but I believe it was 50mg and I took it once a day from cycle day 3-7 and then ovidrel the day before the IUI.
Expensive. Our insurance did not coverage our IUI or any fertility related treatment and it’s costed us over $1,000 just for the initial treatments. If I were to do IVF it would take over $10,000.
Charlotte

Libby [nurse at Carolinas Medical Center] has been an infertility nurse for 30 years I believe she told me. So I think in a lot of ways she had a lot of knowledge but unfortunately maybe she has lost some of her compassion for the field of infertility nursing...CMC women's Institute has great appointment times you can go in early in the morning or in the afternoon. Someone always answers the phone when you call. The parking situation is a little difficult and just getting over to the office from where I live would make for a long drive, almost an hour, but it was definitely worth it.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Most of my interaction with the clinic for my IVF/ICSI cycle was with various nurse. I only saw Dr. Usadi the day of egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Libby)
Libby has been an infertility nurse for 30 years I believe she told me. So I think in a lot of ways she had a lot of knowledge but unfortunately maybe she has lost some of her compassion for the field of infertility nursing.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi is a very friendly. She us compassionate for her patients and has a vast knowledge of infertility issues. My husband and I felt as if she was a member of our health team as opposed to a doctor telling us what we needed to do. She let us discuss options as opposed to dictating to us what was going to happen.
Do your research and ask a lot of questions
I'm not very good at this... I know I was on a Lupron protocol other than that I'm not good at remembering the names of protocols (if it was down, short, or long Etc)
My insurance covered our first round of IVF at 100% after I paid my deductible. I was very happy however I had to do round 2 because their first round was unsuccessful and for medications alone it was going to cost $3,000. I was never able to get alternative medications or options so I have not completed IVF round 2 because I can't afford to pay that much for medication and I may have to pay for the procedures as well.
Describe Rebecca Usadi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
Dr. Usadi does have a standard for only transferring one embryo unless it's medically necessary to transfer more than one. She informed my husband and I we do not meet the requirements to transfer multiple embryos so we did only transfer one.

Anovulation, Unexplained
Blood work is efficient and appoints can be made last minute they [Carolinas Medical Center] will get you in. One Monday morning I had started a cycle over the weekend and I showed up with no appointment- they saw me anyways! Cmc Womens was amazing when I had to have a d&c. As bad as the situation was I felt like I was in a hotel and treated like a princess.... This nurse is amazing and she has been there for me even through the hardest times. I feel like we are a team and I am her only patient. She’s wonderful!
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Blood work is efficient and appoints can be made last minute they will get you in. One Monday morning I had started a cycle over the weekend and I showed up with no appointment- they saw me anyways! Cmc Womens was amazing when I had to have a d&c. As bad as the situation was I felt like I was in a hotel and treated like a princess.
Dr hurst and his nurse paisley Townsend are caring people who talk to me in a professional way but always show compassion and extra care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Paisley Townsend )
Paisley has become like a friend to me. She always remembers to call me with updates and stays positive but realistic. This nurse is amazing and she has been there for me even through the hardest times. I feel like we are a team and I am her only patient. She’s wonderful!
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr hurst speaks to you in a direct manner. He is extremely knowledgeable and never rushes you, he even asks if he answered everything for for. He will go into what if sceniros with you and have back up plans in place so you don’t loose the monthly cycle.
Don’t wait to see him. It takes a while to get an app as a new patient but once you are in he makes time for his patients
dr hurst gave us hope after we were told we would never get pregnant. Before starting ivf automatically, He recommended 3 iui procedures with clomid and ovidrel trigger shot. The first iui worked but sadly it ended in an ectopic pregnancy at 8 weeks. Dr hurst did his part perfectly, my body didnt allow the embryo to implant in the right place.
My insurance covers some- I pay roughly $500 each iui including semen wash
Describe Bradley Hurst's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
Dr hurst does single embryo transfer but you can freeze the rest so you don’t have to go through retreval again. His cost to implant another embryo later is around $4,000

Anovulation, Male Factor
So far this clinic [Carolinas Medical Center] strength would be their compassion and taking time to make sure you understand your options and the procedures. Everyone from the front desk, the financial counselors, nurses, and Dr. Matthews was very friendly. I do wish they had financial options for those who do not have IVF insurance coverage. They do offer a self pay discount but no type of financing or promise to pay plans some other clinics offer.
Anovulation, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
So far this clinic strength would be their compassion and taking time to make sure you understand your options and the procedures. Everyone from the front desk, the financial counselors, nurses, and Dr. Matthews was very friendly. I do wish they had financial options for those who do not have IVF insurance coverage. They do offer a self pay discount but no type of financing or promise to pay plans some other clinics offer. We have truly loved our experience so far with this clinic. If we have to move to IVF we will have to unfortunately transfer to one of those other clinics even though we do not care much for them to make it affordable. Other than that we would continue to use this clinic. Due to the lack of insurance coverage and costs we can only afford the IUI services at this clinic.
We had went to a consultation at a different RE practice before seeing Dr. Matthews. At that practice it was like we were just another number and left feeling discourage. When we change practices and met Dr. Matthews it was a completely different experience. She was very informative, kind, and straight forward but in in nice way that made us feel human unlike the other place that made us feel like a number.
The nurses were very nice and friendly. They made sure we understood everything and took their time explaining the procedures. The nurses also answered all our questions.
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
As mentioned from the previous question Dr. Matthews made us feel more like people and not just another number. She was very informative and straight forward with our options and odds with each of those options. We are still seeing her now for treatment and would love to continue if we move forward with IVF after the IUI's.
I would tell a prospective patient how quick the response time is and how we have had a great experience.
We are in the middle of cycle 3 of 3 for IUI. Each cycle I did 100mg of Clomid days 3-7 at night. On cycle day 3 of each cycle they did blood work prior to confirm it was ok to start the Clomid. The first cycle they also did a baseline ultrasound on this day. I would then return mid-cycle for an ultrasound and blood work. Once those results came back the nurse would call me later that same day and tell me when to take the trigger Ovidrel 250MCG and when to come back for the IUI. The Ovidrel injection was taken 36 hours prior to my scheduled IUI. I have irregular cycles and my spouse has a low count. Each cycle my spouse count has improved some, but it's still low. So far we have been unsuccessful with treatment. If this 3rd IUI does not work Dr. Matthews will re-evaluate our situation and possible move forward with IVF.
I am not sure on the total IUI cost due to my insurance will cover some on IUI and most of the charges are still pending insurance. So far the total is around $1,054 outstanding and we have paid about $675 so far out of pocket including med cost. My insurance does not cover anything towards IVF and the estimate they gave me including meds was $20,000 - $25,000.
Describe Michelle Matthews's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
Charlotte

She [nurse at Carolinas Medical Center] was the best listener and communicator. I always left knowing what the next step was and it felt as though she walked alongside me — rooting for us and cheering for us. She seemed just as excited that our transfer was successful as we were. I never felt alone and words can’t express what that does for someone going through such a stressful and emotional experience.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
They’re very careful about the privacy of their patients and the continuum of care across facilities (labs, OBs, etc). They made sure nothing fell through the cracks and made sure you left feeling taken care of. They offered snacks in the lobby and went out of their way to be aware of the emotions of their clients (i.e. their clinic was set up beside another clinic that had frequent pregnant women coming in and out — they provide separate nursing rooms for nursing moms so that the women in the clinic are not watching this occur as even that can be emotionally painful).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
The entire staff at this location treated my husband and I with respect and kindness. They went out of their way to make us comfortable, speak the truth, and cheer alongside of us during our TTC journey. We were seen as individuals, not statistics, and were treated as though our situation was unique (because it was). I can’t imagine having worked with anyone else.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center.
She was the best listener and communicator. I always left knowing what the next step was and it felt as though she walked alongside me — rooting for us and cheering for us. She seemed just as excited that our transfer was successful as we were. I never felt alone and words can’t express what that does for someone going through such a stressful and emotional experience.
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
From day one, Dr. Marshburn was kind and informative. His bedside manner was exactly what we needed — truthful, to the point and compassionate. And not only that, but when he helped pioneer the fertility clinic years ago, he fought to make it affordable for the folks who worked for the hospital. Which, in my case, was extremely beneficial as it gave me incredible financial assistance/benefits for pursuing help with our fertility. He cares about his patients’ health first and foremost. He never pushed an agenda and allowed my body’s response (and that of my husband’s) to guide the process. He saw me as an individual and always put me first — over any possible outcome. But mostly he was kind and he answered ALL of my questions with knowledge and experience. I can’t imagine having trusted anyone else to get us where we are today.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
Ask questions! He’ll answer them honestly and he has a great way of explaining things so that they make sense. The body is so complex but he makes it more easily understood and will go out of his way to make sure you understand what’s going on.
Describe the protocols Paul Marshburn used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
From the beginning, it was determined that I had a low average egg supply. He never pushed us one way or another but always made it clear what our options were. He was always good about recommending what he believed was clinically best for us but never pushed anything on us. As our infertility was considered “unexplained”, He recommended pursuing several rounds of IUI as this was least invasive. As two rounds failed, he then explained the benefit of pursuing IVF due to my lower egg supply but also that it would increase the likelihood that we could conceive. Granted, we were blessed in that we had a lot of financial assistance through my insurance which allowed us to consider this option sooner. He ultimately always left the decision up to us but always made sure we had the information and the time to make the decision. We chose to do IVF after two rounds of IUI. We retrieved 18 eggs, 6 were frozen, and one was implanted. Dr. Marshburn did not recommend transferring more than one egg at a time given my age (I’m under 35 so the chances of one working was high enough) and he didn’t want to risk multiple embryos sticking as this can pose some increased health risks to me and/or the babies themselves. We completed a fresh transfer with one embryo and became pregnant during that cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center.
~15,000 for meds and procedures.
Describe Paul Marshburn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
I appreciated the concern he had for my health. It felt as though he was just as concerned about my personal health than a successful transfer. Which made me trust him more.
Charlotte

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center.

2012 - 2017
[ At Carolinas Medical Center] IUI - around $600 IVF - $ 12,000 plus meds ($2,500) FET - $2400...Pre retrivial and pre transfer ultrasound visits were completed during a morning monitoring window. Typically I was always seen withing 20 minutes of arriving at the clinic. Post transfer ultrasounds were scheduled to a specific time slot...I transferred two 3-day embryos, negative pregnancy test. Next we did a FET with our 2 remaining embryos (5-day). Positive pregnancy test - singleton born at 36 weeks via c section due to Vasa previa.
2012 - 2017
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Great doctors and nursing staff. Billing can be slow
Dr. Matthews has always taken the time to answer any questions we have had, she explains things thoroughly. Dr. Matthews personally called to inform me she was unable to do a procedure due to an emergency with another patient and asked if I had a preference for which doctor took her place. She called and checked on me after I had misscarried pregnancies, even when I had been released from her care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jennie)
Jennie is wonderful. Returns calls in a timely manner, answers questions. Jennie is super sweet and caring. She helps out in anyway she can
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Matthews is great. She is caring, knowledgeable and has good bedside manner. She has personally called to check on me after losses, called when she had an emergency and was unable to perform an egg retrivial, and has always expressed sorrow and condolences wit losses and negative betas. She is respectful and timely for appointments
Be honest with her about your wants, ask all questions.
We began with 3 medicated(clomid/trigger shot) and monitored iuis, after that didn't work we moved on to ivf (gonal f, menopur, estrogan patches, crinone, icsi). 8 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized. I transferred two 3-day embryos, negative pregnancy test. Next we did a FET with our 2 remaining embryos (5-day). Positive pregnancy test - singleton born at 36 weeks via c section due to Vasa previa. Performed medicated (letrozole/trigger shot)/monitored iui, negative. IVF stim cycle, (same protocol as first cycle, icsi) - 8 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized 5 day embryos. Transferred 1 fresh embryo, positive beta, pregnancy ended at 12 weeks (trisomy 18). FET, positive beta, pregnancy ended at 5.5 weeks. FET, negative beta.
IUI - around $600 IVF - $ 12,000 plus meds ($2,500) FET - $2400
Charlotte

The hospital [Carolinas Medical Center] and the doctor provide opportunities for entrance into clinical trials...we were entered into a research study that included 3 FREE rounds of IUI...My husband's results from the andrology lab were not posted in a timely manner, like we usually experience. Our study nurse was quick to provide us the results when we asked her for it...As a study patient, it can be a bit disorganized when going for blood work and scans, because I am not the typical patient that the other nursing and tech staff are used to dealing with.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
As a study patient, it can be a bit disorganized when going for blood work and scans, because I am not the typical patient that the other nursing and tech staff are used to dealing with. As my protocol is a little different than most other patients going through the same stages, I do have some responsibility to keep track of what my protocol is, if my study nurse isn't readily available. However, she is usually just a few mins or a text away. She always follows up on any clinic issues that I have had, including a billing issue.
In my first appointment with Dr. Usadi, I felt encourage about our situation. She was warm, but clinical providing all necessary information. She answered all questions that I had for her, none of which she made me feel like were "stupid questions". After the appointment which I attended without my husband, I was emotional and crying on my way out of the clinic. I was stopped by a nurse who offered a warm hug and words of encouragement and shared her own infertility story. I immediately knew I had made the right choice in the clinic. Both Dr. Usadi and her nurses have all been warm and caring throughout all of our appointments and procedures.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Kathy Ramsey)
Kathy is the study nurse in-charge of the research trial that my husband and I are in. Her communication has been phenomenal, always reaching out to prepare us for the next steps and just checking in. She provided her cell number for 24 hr access is necessary. This has made our experience at this clinic.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi has an amazing bedside manner. She performed my HSG and later my IUI, after a failed attempt from the nurse who usually performs the procedure. Dr. Usadi's presence is calming and re-assuring. When in her care, I do not question the procedure at hand or the level of care that I am receiving.
Be willing to speak up about what works for you and what does not. During my HSG, Dr. Usadi said that she would explain the procedure as she went. I told her that I did not want to know, and that I would just like to focus on my breathing. She offered to lead a relaxed breathing exercise while performing the procedure and I obliged. It was so helpful, I walked away wishing she could not only help us make our baby, but one day deliver it! When she performed my IUI, she remembered that the breathing exercises works for me and initiated the relaxation technique. It was very helpful during a such an uncomfortable procedure.
She was amazing to recommend my husband and I for a clinical trial looking at male factor infertility. The trial provided three FREE rounds of IUI after a few months of male treatment with antioxidant/placebo study drug. It was such a blessing to be entered into the study. It also reinforced my decision to go to the hospital for treatment, rather than the other local for-profit RE clinic. The hospital and the doctor provide opportunities for entrance into clinical trials, as Dr. Usadi chooses to participate in such studies.
I have good insurance for diagnostics. When it comes to treatment, we have been lucky to not have to pay for anything as we were entered into a research study that included 3 FREE rounds of IUI, per Dr. Usadi's recommendation.
We are not there yet in our treatment process.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
The entire staff [at Carolinas Medical Center] is wonderful and compassionate. I mainly worked with Joanna and Libby but also worked with Jenny and Bethany. They are al very kind and happy to help you in any way. They treat you like friends.... Parking and validation is easy. Great hours. Not usually a long wait. The place to have blood drawn is on another floor and can have a wait depending on the time of day. The clinic waiting room is adjacent to MFM so you can easily and often see pregnant women/kids.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Dr Marshburn is warm and kind and takes time with you as a patient. Jen is happy to explain anything and you feel he truly cares.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Libby Boatwright)
The entire staff is wonderful and compassionate. I mainly worked with Joanna and Libby but also worked with Jenny and Bethany. They are al very kind and happy to help you in any way. They treat you like friends.
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr Marshburn is an outstanding Dr. he is kind and compassionate and wants you to fully understand the process and anything you have questions about. He is happy to discuss percentages and what ifs etc. He doesn’t rush you and is easy to talk to.
Write out questions you have ahead of time so you do not forget to ask something. Also if you have records from another hospital/practice bring copies because we had trouble with them being able to access them even though the other practice said they sent them.
The protocol after the femera and IUIs did not work was IVF. I used lupron, menopur and gonal F and ovidril trigger and crinone. For the later FET for a 2nd I used estradiol, vivelle patches and progesterone in oil shots.
Monitoring was efficient and well run.
I believe the IVF cycle including meds and retrieval and transfer etc was around 15000. A frozen transfer including meds was around 4000-5000
He felt there was a greater risk to transferring two especially for the first transfer.

2013 - 2016
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
The clinic [Carolinas Med Ctr - Char] is great. It's set inside a hospital so it's a little cumbersome to get to but the clinic validates your parking and gives clear instructions so it's not so bad. The clinic itself is very clean and has everything you need to be treated. Their hours for follicle checks are amazing and very helpful for a working couple...[Nurses] They were always welcoming and tried to remember something small about each of their patients. They were always compassionate and very informative. They were prompt with their call-backs and always willing to answer questions I had.
2013 - 2016
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
The clinic is great. It's set inside a hospital so it's a little cumbersome to get to but the clinic validates your parking and gives clear instructions so it's not so bad. The clinic itself is very clean and has everything you need to be treated. Their hours for follicle checks are amazing and very helpful for a working couple.
The staff was friendly and some even remembered by name by sight and not just the chart. They always were personable which was very nice. When I got my first ever positive two nurses even jumped up and down with joy when I went in for my BETA.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center.
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Marshburn was wonderful. Before my first ever visit he had reviewed all tests and information sent over from my gynecologist and was prepared with a plan before we even spoke. As our conversation progressed he made changes based on the information he got from me and went from there. He was very confident and easy to speak with. I would have liked to have had more interaction with him versus just the nurses but enjoyed the appointments where I met with him. Once we became pregnant he was present during the initial ultrasound and explained everything to us in detail and asked us to please update him when our son was bored. I was impressed when I did and actually received an email back from him. It was so nice. When going back to him to try for a second child he again had read up on everything and even remembered the notebook I kept with me at every appointment. I don't have a single negative thing to say about him.
Go in with all your details. He is willing to listen and work with you but be prepared so as not to prolong the process.
1) first cycle was 50mg clomid days 4-8 to which I did not respond so we proceeded with 100mg clomid days 12-16. I had a 18mm follicle on my LT ovary. Triggered on CD 20. IUI on CD 22. Negative outcome 2) Switched to Femara based on the nasty side effects I had from the clomid. 5mg femara days 4-8. I had a 23mm and 17mm follicle on my RT ovary on CD 14. Triggered that night and IUI on CD 15. Negative outcome 3) 5mg Femara on days 3-7. I had a 22mm follicle on my RT ovary on CD 11. Triggered CD 12. IUI on CD 14. Positive beta 14DPIUI. Live birth at 40w1d. 4) 5mg Femara on days 4-8. I had a 19.5mm follicle on LT ovary on CD15. Triggered CD16. IUI on CD18. Negative outcome. 5) 5mg Femara on days 3-7. I had a 24mm and 19mm follicle on LT ovary on CD11. Triggered that night and IUI on CD13. Negative outcome 6) 5mg Femara on days 3-7. I had a 24mm and 15mm follicle on LT ovary on CD10. Triggered that night and IUI on CD12. Negative outcome 7) 5mg Femara on days 3-7. I had a 16mm follicle on LT ovary and a 19mm and 16mm follicle on RT ovary on CD10. Triggered on CD11 and IUI on CD13. Negative outcome. Negative outcome After the 4th failed IUI for our second child we decided to move onto IVF.
Each IUI cost approx $600-$700 including medications.
Charlotte

From the front desk, to the ultrasound techs, to the coordinator, to the research nurses, to the ivf nurses, to the lab techs I found everyone [at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte] to be so kind and caring. I felt like a person, not a medical record number....IVF was $12,000. IVF meds were $2000. Endometrial scratch was free as I participated in a study. The FET was $3200....Dr. Usadi had obviously thoroughly read our chart before our first appointment with her. All of the nurses, ultrasound techs, and coordinators were kind and empathetic each time I was there.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
From the front desk, to the ultrasound techs, to the coordinator, to the research nurses, to the ivf nurses, to the lab techs I found everyone to be so kind and caring. I felt like a person, not a medical record number.
I can't really complain about the nurse, but never felt a connection there. It seemed like everytime I called I had to explain a lot of the same things. I did grow frustrated with some lack of communication regarding some of the paperwork they require. Once I got my BFP, Libby really celebrated and was very warm. The retrieval/transfer nurses really impressed us. They were so kind, warm, and empathetic. Still keep in touch with them even after being released from the clinic!
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
De. Usadi was always kind and very willing to answer questions. She never seemed like she was in a rush to finish the visit, always willing to answer another question. She presented facts and data supporting everything the clinic does.
She is soft spoken and reserved, but always willing to answer any question, no matter how silly you make think it is. Don't be afraid to speak up...she will have the answer for you.
I was placed on the long lupron protocol. 3 weeks of birth control pills, then lupron alone for about a week, then Gonal-F and finally menopur was added. I went for bloodwork and ultrasounds about every other day while on stimulation meds. I had 8 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized with ICSI and we got 2 embryos. Unfortunately, this is below the expected rate of 60% fertilization, that I still do not know a reason for. One embryo was transferred on day 3 and ended with a BFN. The next cycle I had an endometrial scratch to prepare for FET. I was put on estrace and endometrin. I had 2 monitoring ultrasounds during that time. Our frozen transfer resulted in a BFP (currently 14 weeks along.)
Mondays were the busiest, but I would get there as early as I could to get in and out and off to work and never felt like I waited to awful long.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
I think the [Carolinas Medical Center - Charlotte] clinic is very organized and has great customer service. You do not have to wait long in the waiting room to be seen. They have many rooms for ultrasounds and regular exam rooms. This helps you get in and get out. I like that they have the option to come in very early in the morning. This helps with people who have to go to work right after. In their patient portal they do post the notes from your appointments with the doctor, which is very helpful if you have questions or cannot remember something...
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I do not like that the lab isn't in the clinic. Since it's in the hospital you have to go down a couple floors to the lab. Sometimes there is also a pretty long wait in the lab for them to see you. I also find it frustrating that you cannot find out your lab results for several days through their website. The nurse will call you with results, but if you want exact numbers you have to ask while your on the phone or wait up to a week to see the results in their patient portal. I think the clinic is very organized and has great customer service. You do not have to wait long in the waiting room to be seen. They have many rooms for ultrasounds and regular exam rooms. This helps you get in and get out. I like that they have the option to come in very early in the morning. This helps with people who have to go to work right after. In their patient portal they do post the notes from your appointments with the doctor, which is very helpful if you have questions or cannot remember something.
Dr. Hurst sat down with my husband and I before we started treatments. He laid everything out for us and what his expectations were. Before starting treatments he did an evaluation and found that I needed scar tissue removal surgery from my previous losses. Find this was very helpful and I'm thankful for it, instead of going ahead and starting treatments without making sure that everything was in the best shape possible for treatment. Dr. Hurst listens to my concerns and makes sure I am comfortable with the process he has in mind for our fertility process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Paisley )
Whenever I called Paisley was always the one to call me back. That brought me great satisfaction because it showed that I wasn't dealing with the entire team, just her and Dr. Hurst. She called me back quickly, listened to my questions and always got answers for me.
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Hurst is very clinical when it comes to explaining the treatments he has laid out for you. He explains the process in a very scientific way, lays out statistics and shows evidence to back up his plan. He listens to all of your questions and comes up with a plan that works for you.
Dr. Hurst is not a touchy-feely type of doctor. He is a great doctor but can be dry when explaining treatment types and what is involved. He is a great doctor and doesn't suggest or move forward with something until you are ready.
I started with Dr. Hurst in July of 2015. I had just had my second loss. He did blood work and evaluations, then determined I needed scar tissues removal surgery. I had surgery in October 2015. He also confirmed I have PCOS and MTHFR, so decided we would do three cycles of medication with trigger shot. In March 2016 we started treatments. The first cycle started with an ultrasound to make sure everything was ready and blood work. On days 3-7 I would take letrozyle. I went back on day 12 and 14 for ultrasounds to see when my lining was thick enough and I had a follicle that was ready for ovulation. I would give myself a trigger shot after ovulation was predicted and then have timed intercorse after 36hrs. We did this for 3 cycles and my last cycle ended in June 2016. None of these cycles resulted in a pregnancy or loss. His next suggestion is to do IUI, which we will start in Jan/Feb 2017.
The cost so far hasn't been as much as was initially told to us. For each round medication, ultrasounds, and lab work was about $200-300.
Charlotte

[Our nurse at Carolinas Medical Center] was our biggest advocate. She was always prompt in answering my questions and phone calls. She was always able to address and explain all the issues and questions I had that the doctor was not able to answer (due to not being available to me). She was patient and kind, which made the process a bit less painful for me.
The doctor forgot that we were new to all of this and he used terminology and abbreviations that were foreign to us. We had to ask him to stop and clarify a few times. He breezed over the descriptions of procedure protocols and highly recommended that we just read up on the prodedures ourselves on the American Reproductive Society's website. As he only addressed everything on a high-level, he was unable to address the nitty-gritty details of IUI testing and IVF scheduling. I felt that I would have liked to talked to both the doctor and a nurse at the same time during my dr meetings, as the nurses are the ones who hold more knowledge on the day-to-day workings of the lab/office/hospital and who can answer all my questions.
She was our biggest advocate. She was always prompt in answering my questions and phone calls. She was always able to address and explain all the issues and questions I had that the doctor was not able to answer (due to not being available to me). She was patient and kind, which made the process a bit less painful for me.
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
He is pleasant and takes his time to talk to you. I wish he was able to explain our unexplained infertility, but I guess sometimes no one can! I feel like he put us on the typical and usually prescribed track of 3 IUIs, then IVF. I wish there were more things we could try to diagnose and try before having to fork over $20k for IVF.
Don't expect to see him often. You will most often deal with the nurses instead. Doctor appts are mostly for initial consults only.
Charlotte

CMC clinic was wonderful to work with. I never met with any doctor other than my own. I saw her many times throughout my treatment. Ultrasounds are completed in rooms were you have your own screen and can watch the entire thing. The techs do a wonderful job of explaining what you are seeing. The same nurse met with me after each ultrasound and explained the results and discussed my medication for that day. Only draw back is the smallish waiting room and that the Women's Institute also houses MFM's so there are often pregnant women in the other waiting room for appointments.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
While under the care of Dr. Usadi, I really felt like a human. I saw her multiple times throughout my treatment and always felt like things were explained in detail. During procedures she was warm and comforting, especially when I was overwhelmed and cried.
Libby was wonderful to work with. I met with her after every monitoring ultrasound and frequently spoke with her over the phone. She returned calls quickly and always was able to answer my questions. She was compassionate when delivering news of my BFN and was so excited to call with my positive beta.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi was wonderful to work with. She explained everything in detail and provided research to back up her reasoning for choosing certain procedures or protocols. She was able to answer all of our questions from the very beginning. Dr. Usadi was present and available throughout my treatment and I always felt like she knew who I was and knew our case. When I became overwhelmed right before my IVF retrieval she was warm and comforting. Made me feel normal for getting emotional.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. She provides you with lots of information and all of the reasoning behind why she chooses certain things for you.
We initially met with Dr. Usadi when we were considering moving to IVF. She explained the protocol she would suggest based on my age and our diagnosis. I was on the Long Lupron Protocol (Lupron, gonal-F, Menopur). It was recommended that we use ICSI due to Male Factor Infertility. Since this was our first IVF experience she recommended a fresh transfer. I responded well to medication and remained on a lower dose throughout stimming. I had 11 eggs retrieved. 9 of them were mature and 8 fertilized with ICSI. We ended up with 5 day 5 embryo's and transferred 1. She recommended transferring 1 as I'm currently 29. This transfer resulted in a BFN and we moved right into a frozen transfer cycle. Dr. Usadi completed an endometrial scratch during my next cycle and explained that research had shown this to aide in implantation. I started on medication that day and then had a frozen transfer of 1 embryo. My beta at 13dp5dt was 816 and I am currently 15 weeks pregnant.
IVF w/ICSI was $12,000. Medication for Long Lupron Protocol was $2,200 at CMC pharmacy. FET was $3,200.

2011 - 2013
Libby was my coordinator for the first round, and Joanna was my coordinator for the 2nd round. Libby was very matter-of-fact/no-nonsense while also being kind and compassionate. Joanna was incredibly kind and supportive-- I think that she actually teared up when my second pregnancy test came back positive. They're both amazing (please note that I had 2 cycles and 2 positive pregnancies so that may be putting rose colored glasses over my experiences, but I honestly thought they were both great).
2011 - 2013
Investor
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Convenient and close to uptown. Facilities are clean and discreet. I always felt like I was one of the only people being seen (but know that was not the case because there were always others in the waiting room).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Libby and Joanna)
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Matthews is very kind and very informative without being condescending. She worked well with both my husband and me. We went through 2 separate IVF cycles that resulted in 2 live births so we had a 100% success rate. I realize that this is VERY atypical and that we were incredibly lucky. But, I attribute much of our success to Dr. Matthews and the two nurses that I saw for both of the cycles.
She is responsive and compassionate.
My husband and I both went on a round of antibiotics. I then did Lupron injections for about a week and then added in some sort of pen injections (I don't remember the name) and then Menopur. I went to the Women's Institute a couple of times per week for follicle tracking (via ultrasound) and blood tests, and at the end, I went in every other day. They had early morning appointments, so it was convenient for me to go before work, and if I got there by 6:30, I was in and out very quickly. During both cycles, one of my ovaries (a different one each time) did not produce a thing. I was told that this was common, but it was a little alarming. For both cycles, I used the same medications and dosages, but my 2nd cycle took 3-4 days longer than my first to yield enough follicles. When the nurses and Dr. Matthews believed that my follicles were developed enough, I did an Ovidrel injection 36 hours before my retrieval. My first retrieval yielded 3 eggs. Two of them survived fertilization, and we implanted them both at 3 days. I had one live birth (full term, healthy, etc.). My 2nd retrieval yielded 4 eggs. Two of them survived fertilization, and we implanted them both at 3 days. I had one live birth (2 weeks early, healthy, etc.). After the first implantation, research still recommended bed rest afterwards, so I did 3 serious days of bed rest and disconnecting (no internet, etc.). By the time we had our second implantation, bed rest was no longer recommended, but I did the same thing again since it "worked" the last time. Between the implantation and the pregnancy tests, I did progesterone gel suppositories.
The monitoring appts start at 6:30 a.m. I tried to be there by 6:25 a.m. to ensure that I was one of the first people seen. If you show up later, it takes much longer. You have to go to a separate floor for bloodwork, and I believe that office doesn't open until 7:00 a.m., so there would generally be a line to get blood drawn.
The first time, it was presented as a package with a base cost and then the potential for add-one (freezing, ICSI, etc), and all-in, it was ~12k. The second time, it was just a one time payment of about ~12k. Note-- these payments did not include any of the medication/injections, etc. They covered the cost of the procedure. The cost for the medicine was 4,500-5,000. In both instances, I had to purchase additional Menopur

2012 - 2015
2012 - 2015
Dr. Usadi treated me like a person. She was caring and spent valuable time with my husband and me explaining things in careful detail and answering my (many) questions. She treated me like an intelligent person and never talked down to me. When I went back for treatments this year (after a successful IUI and pregnancy two years ago), she remembered me and was familiar with my medical history when I arrived. Also, when we went in for our ultrasound when I got a positive pregnancy test two hears ago, she was warm and excited. She also spent quality time with us after the ultrasound.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Sharon)
They were extremely accessible. They promptly returned my calls and called me frequently (even if after hourS) to keep me updated on the course of treatment, test results, etc. This accessibility was unlike any I've ever encountered with any doctor, and frankly, spoiled me! They also were extremely patient and detailed, explaining everything and never acted frustrated with my (many) questions. I never felt like they were rushing me to get off the phone or out of the office (again a rarity in today's medical world). Overall, they were the most positive and caring women and nurses I've ever been around. They made the fertility experience a positive experience for me. I never got down about anything because of them.
Charlotte

I was told to inject ovidrel at the wrong time [at Carolinas Medical Center]. Luckily I called back to confirm as instructions didn't seem right. I've had multiple instances where prescriptions weren't called in. I also called once because I started my period two weeks early and that concern was completely ignored until I called back again...Too many cooks in the kitchen leads to confusion and miscommunication. I've received incorrect instructions, questions/concerns I expressed weren't addressed
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I like the early morning appointment times so it doesn't interfere with work and they seem to usually be on time.
In the 10 months I have been a patient, I have only seen Dr. Usadi twice. The nursing staff has given me inaccurate instructions at time (e.g., told me wrong time to do the injection) and whenever you call, you have to leave a message instead of talking to someone live.
Too many cooks in the kitchen leads to confusion and miscommunication. I've received incorrect instructions, questions/concerns I expressed weren't addressed and no one told me you could only do 3 rounds of chlomid in a row. Had I known this, I would have skipped a couple months, but was encouraged by the nursing team to continue with cycle and see how it played out in terms of timing (when I had told them I'd likely be out of town)
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
The couple times we met, I enjoyed our interaction. My biggest complaint is how little I've interacted with her since my initial visits. I have a friend at the same clinic and she seems to be way better informed with the overall process than I am.
Go to a couple clinics/doctors before making a decision.
Charlotte

Everyone from the front desk to ultrasound techs to nurses and doctors have been amazing [at Carolinas Medical Center]. They have nurses on call on the weekend so you dont have to worry about missing your day for procedures. I am so impressed and they really put you at ease. Lots of their staff have been through infertility as well so they understand.... Dont get discouraged if it takes a while for your initial consult because the rest of your visits you wont have that problem.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Everyone from the front desk to ultrasound techs to nurses and doctors have been amazing. They have nurses on call on the weekend so you dont have to worry about missing your day for procedures. I am so impressed and they really put you at ease. Lots of their staff have been through infertility as well so they understand.
He and his entire staff have taken the time to listen to me and my husband and always show compassion for our journey
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
At our first visit I was worried he wouldn't want to treat me due to my weight. He never made me feel bad about being overweight and he encouraged me in a nice way to continue my journey to becoming healthier during my ttc journey. He showed so much compassion and explained everything in great detail. I left feeling so much better.
Charlotte
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
She [nurse at Carolinas Medical Center] does a very good job of communicating and answering all of my questions and concerns. She helps me problems solve and knows me as an individual. She’s honest and caring...Embryo needed to be retested and they took 2 weeks to do so and didn’t tell me...they considered it non urgent....Overall a great clinic. Very rarely is communication an issue but they work very hard to make it not one. They use MCP as their in house pharmacy and they can be challenging to work with in that they sometimes aren’t prepared and cause extra frustration. Overall clinic experience has been good.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Very personable, remembers my name and case, listens to hownid like to move forward, honest but gentle
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Joanna)
She does a very good job of communicating and answering all of my questions and concerns. She helps me problems solve and knows me as an individual. She’s honest and caring.
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
He takes my wishes into account and tells me my options. He helps me continue to have hope. He helps make things happen. He is compassionate and honest. I feel like an individual not just a number.
He’s a great provider and will fight with you for your goals
Clomid with IUI Egg retrieval with moderate intensity medications to yield fewer higher quality eggs
Prefers eset

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
I had a very positive experience [at Carolina Medical Center]. Everyone is compassionate and understanding. They really want things to work out for you...Appointments were convenient. They began as early as 6:30 am so I could Go on into Work...Very compassionate, always available to answer questions over the phone, via email or in person...Dr. Matthews was very compassionate in dealing with my situation... I felt like she wanted ivf to Work for me just as badly as I wanted it to.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I had a very positive experience. Everyone is compassionate and understanding. They really want things to work out for you
Dr. Matthews was very compassionate in dealing with my situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Fitzpatrick )
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Matthews was very understanding of my situation. I felt like she wanted ivf to Work for me just as badly as I wanted it to. She is very compassionate and explained our situation very clearly. She discussed the odds of ivf working in our situation.
Go into your ivf cycle with an open mind. You never know what makes might happen. Also, don't get your hopes up
Microdose lupron flare. 20 mg 2x daily. Began cycle with desogen for 2.5 weeks. 300 gonal f, 150 menopur 5 retrieved eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 day 6 embryo biopsied and came back abnormal
Was not able to transfer because my embryo was abnormal
Michelle Matthews

The team [at Carolinas Medical Center of Charlotte] is fantastic and really tailors your care to your individual situation and preferences. They also know me by name and treat me with kindness and compassion....This clinic operates like a well oiled machine. Everyone is kind and compassionate and the team responds to phone calls in a timely manner....Monitoring appointments are easy! You arrive early in the morning and are generally seen within 15 minutes or less.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
The team is fantastic and really tailors your care to your individual situation and preferences. They also know me by name and treat me with kindness and compassion.
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Marshburn is patient and respectful. He understood our health issues, listened to our concerns and provided us with a well organized plan to conceive.
Be patient. Dr. Marshburn and his team are fantastic, but this can be a long process filled with many tests and visits. You will understand what is being done each step of the way, though. You are in good hands!
Charlotte

The clinic [Carolinas Medical Center] was very clean and organized...The nurses were all very sweet and willing to listen. They We're willing to listen to my fears and dealt with my tears. They were very reassuring. The nurses handled all of my questions compassionately and always returned my calls in a timely manner...Dr. Usadi was personable on the initial visit. She spoken candidly with me about my previous experiences with fertility treatments. But I never saw her again on any subsequent visits.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
The clinic was very clean and organized.
Na
See previous reaponse
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi was personable on the initial visit. She spoken candidly with me about my previous experiences with fertility treatments. But I never saw her again on any subsequent visits. The nurses were all very sweet and willing to listen. They We're willing to listen to my fears and dealt with my tears. They were very reassuring. The nurses handled all of my questions compassionately and always returned my calls in a timely manner.
Find out ahead of time what the entire plan of action is and will be.
Dr. Usadi ordered blood work and prescribed fertility drugs. She then ordered an ultrasound to measure the eggs and prescribed additional meds to release the eggs. She then ordered for an IUI.
Na
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
No weakness from my experiences. The clinic [Carolinas Medical Center] can get a phone system set up to where you don't have to leave a message and someone would call back. That's the only thing. I have recommend them to a few women... The office is wonderful and so is Doctor Matthews... I love Dr.Matthews. She is very understanding and shows she cares. She gives all options and what to try to do next. I haven't seen any weakness with Dr. Matthews.
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
No weakness from my experiences. The clinic can get a phone system set up to where you don't have to leave a message and someone would call back. That's the only thing. I have recommend them to a few women
The office is wonderful and so is Doctor Matthews
I just love Jenny❤❤
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
I love Dr.Matthews. She is very understanding and shows she cares. She gives all options and what to try to do next. I haven't seen any weakness with Dr. Matthews. Anytime I had any questions she would respond in a timely manner.
Listen to her
2 IVF cycles After the failed cycles we sat and talk and she recommended I do a tubal cannulation. She mention this before I started IVF but I wasn't ready for that.
I have insurance. I was responsible for copay payments

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
[Carolinas Medical Center] Great clinic. Super compassionate...Early appt available 6:30 so I could go on into work...Always available via email. Will call back same day...genetic testing required for me to avoid passing on a genetic disorder to a 2nd child...Desogen 2.5 weeks microdose lupron flare, 400 gonal f and 150 menopur 5 eggs 4 fertilized 1 embryo that tested abnormal
Great clinic. Super compassionate
She was compassionate and ver understanding of my situation
Always available via email. Will call back same day
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Very understanding of my situation and I felt like she really wanted things to work out for me. Worked to try and get insurance to pay. Adjusted my medicine accordingly. Called me personally several times during process
Go into ivf cycle with an open mind
Early appt available 6:30 so I could go on into work
$25,000. Genetic testing required for me to avoid passing on a genetic disorder to a 2nd child
No transfer
Charlotte

Everyone [at Carolinas Medical Center-Charlotte] was wonderful. I have no complaints. The staff is caring and kind. They do their job well. The facility is clean and well organized. Parking is close and plentiful. I was always seen on time and when it was convenient for me... They check with your insurance and call well before your appointment... I have PCOS and do not ovulate. I started with Letrozole as I had tried Clomid in the past with no response. We did and Ovidrel injection and IUI
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Everyone was wonderful. I have no complaints. The staff is caring and kind. They do their job well. The facility is clean and well organized. Parking is close and plentiful. I was always seen on time and when it was convenient for me
Dr. Unsaid is warm and friendly. I feel like she treats patients as individuals and customized a care plan that suits them.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi is very knowledgeable and caring as well. She was still willing to let me have an acitive role in my treatment. She is quick to return communication sent to her. Dr. Usadi shows compassion and care in a time when that is of utmost importance.
Be prepared with questions before your consultation.
Yes. They check with your insurance and call well before your appointment
Charlotte

I loved everything about this place [Carolinas Medical Center-Charlotte] The doctor, nurses, place. I felt at home and not so alone in a time I was so vulnerable. It was the hardest time of my life and they made me feel so special and wanted... I have PCOS, she let me know to try 3 more months of the Letrozole and if it didn’t work we would proceed to do the IUI. The 3rd month I got pregnant!!!
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I loved everything about this place. The doctor, nurses, place. I felt at home and not so alone in a time I was so vulnerable. It was the hardest time of my life and they made me feel so special and wanted
She was sweet and very to the point! I loved her
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Bethany Griffin )
She was amazing! Very sweet and took her time getting to know me
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
She was very to the point and let me know where I was and where we needed to be! So sweet and caring. I left knowing I would get pregnant soon! If I had any questions she answered them honestly and let me know everything was going to be okay.
She’s amazing!
I’m not quit sure but I know it wasn’t as expensive has I was thinking it would be