1025 Morehead Medical Drive
Charlotte, NC 28204
704-355-3149

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr hurst always takes his time with appointments. I never felt rushed or hurried. He is detail oriented and spent time sharing research he had done in relation to my specific diagnosis...Listens well and is easy to talk to. He took time to answer questions and felt that he took time to research and share the latest studies related to my care. he took time to check in on how I was feeling mentally and physically as well as my husband which I appreciated...
[nurse at Carolinas Medical Center] Always got back to means answered all my questions. She is very knowledgeable and took her time helping me understand how to do all the meds and what to expect at each stage...The clinic is very large but appointments generally are on time. Monitoring appointments are all done in the morning. Typically between 7-8:30. The one drawback is on retrieval day you get whichever doctor is assigned to that day. So I had a dr I had never met before preform my retrieval...
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
His very patient and kind. Listens well and is easy to talk to. He took time to answer questions and felt that he took time to research and share the latest studies related to my care. he took time to check in on how I was feeling mentally and physically as well as my husband which I appreciated.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Take notes, and write your questions down. He gives a lot of great detailed information and will answer all your questions. He is very thorough.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Describe the protocols Bradley Hurst used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
We started with birth control for about a month and then used an antagonist protocol with a Lipton trigger. I had a high ovarian reserve so this was his choice for protocols. I started on a moderate dose of Gonal f followed with menopur and certritide. I had a good response and had over 20 large follicles by retrieval day. I ended with 16 mature eggs. We did ICSI and only 4 fertilized with 2 maturing to blastocyst stage. We chose to freeze both embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Ashton )
Ashton was wonderful. Always got back to means answered all my questions. She is very knowledgeable and took her time helping me understand how to do all the meds and what to expect at each stage.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center.
Luckily my insurance offered coverage for IVF up to a certain amount so I am unsure of all the costs. The IVF medications however cost about 3,500 for one round
Charlotte

[Dr. Rebecca Usadi] made me feel much better as a person about the rare situation we were going through. Even if she didn't have an answer herself she made sure to reach out to anyone she could along the way...I will continue working with her until we are able to welcome a baby. She treated my husband and family so well, and explained every little detail to whoever was around.
[The nursing staff at Carolinas Medical Center] are all wonderful. Kathy got back to me within a reasonable time whenever I'd call for questions. There are others who are just as amazing...I don't have anything negative to say...When I was going through my first loss in June I called just for the heck of it and told them what was going on, and they got me in just a few weeks later. I have had no issue getting an appointment.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
I began seeing her after my first miscarriage, after we had tried to conceive for 15 months. I was diagnosed with a septum uterus and thankfully Dr Usadi was able to go in and determine it was not. She set me up for a hysteroscopy to get retained tissue from that miscarriage that another Dr had said would pass. We then started me on medication, but I ended up naturally, only to have a rare ectopic. I was going to my regular OB at first with this, but then she and Dr Usadi decided it'd be best for me to go back to her. She was so sensitive to our situation, and I truly believe she did everything she could along the way. I will continue working with her until we are able to welcome a baby. She treated my husband and family so well, and explained every little detail to whoever was around.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
She is willing to answer any kind of question you have. If she is not sure of it, she will figure it out.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
She made me feel much better as a person about the rare situation we were going through. Even if she didn't have an answer herself she made sure to reach out to anyone she could along the way.
Describe the protocols Rebecca Usadi used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
I had been on 3 rounds of clomid with my OB before getting pregnant on the 3rd one with my first miscarriage. When I started with Dr Usadi I had a hysteroscopy in August and was to wait for my next period to start Letrozole and do a trigger shot. I got what I assumed was my period, so I started taking Letrozole. I went in for a follicle check at the correct time when they did not find any large enough follicles to do the trigger shot. I began bleeding around that time and found out I was pregnant. I had basically already began to miscarry as soon as I found out.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
They are all wonderful. Kathy got back to me within a reasonable time whenever I'd call for questions. There are others who are just as amazing.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I don't have anything negative to say. When my OB referred me in February the earliest I could get in was August. When I was going through my first loss in June I called just for the heck of it and told them what was going on, and they got me in just a few weeks later. I have had no issue getting an appointment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center.
Describe Rebecca Usadi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
elective single embryo transfer
Rebecca Usadi
Charlotte
Dr. Hurst is smart, kind, detail-oriented, and personable. He explains everything in detail and never seems rushed. He remembers your case in detail without having to be reminded. He answers your questions in detail and always ensures all your questions have been answered before concluding an appointment...I did a microdose Lupron flare protocol. I had a good response. I felt good. I had 15 oocytes retrieved, which was more than he expected.
Monitoring appointments [at Carolinas Medical Center] were between 6:30 to 8:00 am which worked very well for my schedule. I always asked to be seen at 6:30 and was always out of the office by 7 at the latest...The staff is kind and organized.You can message the nurses via the online portal and they usually respond the same day...
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Write your questions down before each appointment and take your list of questions with you. Take notes during your appointments.
Dr. Hurst routinely recognized me and addressed me when I would see him in the hallway of the clinic when I was there for routine lab work. At appointments, he always remembered what my husband and I did for a living and details about our treatment without having to look through our chart.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolinas Medical Center.
The staff is kind and organized. You can message the nurses via the online portal and they usually respond the same day.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
The clinic is organized and efficient. The ultrasound and blood work appointments are early in the morning and extremely quick. I never had to wait long at all to be called back to be seen. The only hiccup I experienced was they sent me to collections. I apparently had a bill that I had not paid. When the statement came in the mail I thought I had already paid it because I had just settled a balance the week before. So the statement came in, and I thought it was paid, so I didn't pay it. Then a few weeks later I got a notice from a collections agency. I called the office and paid the bill immediately, but I was frustrated that they never mentioned my outstanding balance while I was at the office. I had an ultrasound and/or bloodwork appointment every day the week I received the notice in the mail from the collections agency and not once did anyone mention that I had an outstanding balance that needed to be paid. I was frustrated with the communication to break down.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Carolinas Medical Center.
Monitoring appointments were between 6:30 to 8:00 am which worked very well for my schedule. I always asked to be seen at 6:30 and was always out of the office by 7 at the latest.
The cost was reasonable.
What specific things went wrong at Carolinas Medical Center?
Charlotte

At my age, Dr. Hurst would only transfer 1 embryo, no matter what our preference would have been...always spends more time that I even would expect when meeting with us in consultations or during treatments. We are never rushed. He even called me personally after our loss and after our failed cycles...He always provides all options and is able to give us the current research on each. I definitely appreciate knowing his opinions, but he also does not strongly push us into anything. After our miscarriage, he showed great compassion. While I was being prepped for my D&C, he went to talk to my husband and told him he would get us a baby. After our second retrieval failed to produce any embryos, he personally called me to update me. He did a full review of the lab procedures to make sure nothing was missed. Dr. Hurst has a dry sense of humor, but I like that. He can also be somewhat blunt, but I appreciate his ability to be direct. I don't want things sugar-coated.
Ultrasounds and bloodwork appointments are always going to be early in the morning, 6:30 to 8am [at Carolinas Medicine Center]...To schedule appointments to start your cycles or to ask questions, you have to leave a message and wait to be called back. This is a little difficult if you can't answer the phone when they call back. However, you can also email the nurse which can be easier for questions or just general information. Wait times are generally good. Ultrasounds and bloodwork appointments are always going to be early in the morning, 6:30 to 8am.
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Our fertility journey has not yet been successful, but I wouldn't want another doctor other than Dr. Hurst. He always provides all options and is able to give us the current research on each. I definitely appreciate knowing his opinions, but he also does not strongly push us into anything. After our miscarriage, he showed great compassion. While I was being prepped for my D&C, he went to talk to my husband and told him he would get us a baby. After our second retrieval failed to produce any embryos, he personally called me to update me. He did a full review of the lab procedures to make sure nothing was missed. Dr. Hurst has a dry sense of humor, but I like that. He can also be somewhat blunt, but I appreciate his ability to be direct. I don't want things sugar-coated.
You may have to wait for your appointment, but it is worth it. I don't mind waiting because I know that he is spending extra time with everyone, just as he does for us.
Dr. Hurst always spends more time that I even would expect when meeting with us in consultations or during treatments. We are never rushed. He even called me personally after our loss and after our failed cycles.
Our first two retrievals used microdose lupron. I started with birth control for 3 weeks, then did 40mcg of Lupron twice a day. On the third day, I started GonalF 300 units. On the 6th day, the Gonal F was reduced to 250units based on bloodwork, and Menopur 150mg was started. Ovidrel 500mcg was used to trigger on the 13th day and retrieval was on the 15th day. 9 eggs were retrieved and 7 fertilized with ICSI. 4 growing on day 3. We ended up with 3 blastocytes, one that we fresh transferred. The other 2 were frozen. The first was negative, the second ended in miscarriage (genetic testing showed normal chromosomes), the third was negative. Our second retrieval had a similar protocol, 7 eggs were retrieved, 5 fertilized, 4 growing at day 3, but then all arrested. Our next protocol will no have birth control, start with estrogen instead. We started with the microdose lupron because Dr. Hurst was worried that I would be a poor responder. My AMH is 1.1 but my FSH is 13.7. Hoping for better results with the next protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center.
The nurses are well organized and good at communication. I have never had problems scheduling and they work very hard to make appointments around my schedule. The nurses are always available to answer questions if I have any.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
These are with insurance discounts. Ultrasound was around $250. IUI was around $1500. Our IVF retrieval cost around $6500. The medications for our retrieval were $3000.
Describe Bradley Hurst's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
At my age, Dr. Hurst would only transfer 1 embryo, no matter what our preference would have been. We did not have a choice, but I had already read on the subject and didn't want to do more than 1

2015, Unknown Success
Dr. Marshburn is pleasant and takes his time to talk to you. I wish he was able to explain our unexplained infertility, but I guess sometimes no one can! I feel like he put us on the typical and usually prescribed track of 3 IUIs, then IVF. I wish there were more things we could try to diagnose and try before having to fork over $20k for IVF.
[Our nurse at Carolinas Medical Center] was our biggest advocate. She was always prompt in answering my questions and phone calls. She was always able to address and explain all the issues and questions I had that the doctor was not able to answer (due to not being available to me). She was patient and kind, which made the process a bit less painful for me.
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
He is pleasant and takes his time to talk to you. I wish he was able to explain our unexplained infertility, but I guess sometimes no one can! I feel like he put us on the typical and usually prescribed track of 3 IUIs, then IVF. I wish there were more things we could try to diagnose and try before having to fork over $20k for IVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
Don't expect to see him often. You will most often deal with the nurses instead. Doctor appts are mostly for initial consults only.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
The doctor forgot that we were new to all of this and he used terminology and abbreviations that were foreign to us. We had to ask him to stop and clarify a few times. He breezed over the descriptions of procedure protocols and highly recommended that we just read up on the prodedures ourselves on the American Reproductive Society's website. As he only addressed everything on a high-level, he was unable to address the nitty-gritty details of IUI testing and IVF scheduling. I felt that I would have liked to talked to both the doctor and a nurse at the same time during my dr meetings, as the nurses are the ones who hold more knowledge on the day-to-day workings of the lab/office/hospital and who can answer all my questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Kathleen Bratschi)
She was our biggest advocate. She was always prompt in answering my questions and phone calls. She was always able to address and explain all the issues and questions I had that the doctor was not able to answer (due to not being available to me). She was patient and kind, which made the process a bit less painful for me.
Paul Marshburn
Charlotte
[Dr. Bradley Hurst is] Very personable, remembers my name and case,...honest but gentle...He takes my wishes into account and tells me my options. He helps me continue to have hope. He helps make things happen. He is compassionate and honest. I feel like an individual not just a number...Clomid with IUI...Egg retrieval with moderate intensity medications to yield fewer higher quality eggs
She [nurse at Carolinas Medical Center] does a very good job of communicating and answering all of my questions and concerns. She helps me problems solve and knows me as an individual. She’s honest and caring...Embryo needed to be retested and they took 2 weeks to do so and didn’t tell me...they considered it non urgent....Overall a great clinic. Very rarely is communication an issue but they work very hard to make it not one. They use MCP as their in house pharmacy and they can be challenging to work with in that they sometimes aren’t prepared and cause extra frustration. Overall clinic experience has been good.
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
He’s a great provider and will fight with you for your goals
Very personable, remembers my name and case, listens to hownid like to move forward, honest but gentle
Clomid with IUI Egg retrieval with moderate intensity medications to yield fewer higher quality eggs
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Joanna)
She does a very good job of communicating and answering all of my questions and concerns. She helps me problems solve and knows me as an individual. She’s honest and caring.
Prefers eset
What specific things went wrong at Carolinas Medical Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Medical Center.
Embryo needed to be retested and they took 2 weeks to do so and didn’t tell me they considered it non urgent.
Charlotte
Dr. Usadi was personable on the initial visit. She spoken candidly with me about my previous experiences with fertility treatments. But I never saw her again on any subsequent visits...Dr. Usadi ordered blood work and prescribed fertility drugs. She then ordered an ultrasound to measure the eggs and prescribed additional meds to release the eggs. She then ordered for an IUI.
The clinic [Carolinas Medical Center] was very clean and organized...The nurses were all very sweet and willing to listen. They We're willing to listen to my fears and dealt with my tears. They were very reassuring. The nurses handled all of my questions compassionately and always returned my calls in a timely manner...Dr. Usadi was personable on the initial visit. She spoken candidly with me about my previous experiences with fertility treatments. But I never saw her again on any subsequent visits.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi was personable on the initial visit. She spoken candidly with me about my previous experiences with fertility treatments. But I never saw her again on any subsequent visits. The nurses were all very sweet and willing to listen. They We're willing to listen to my fears and dealt with my tears. They were very reassuring. The nurses handled all of my questions compassionately and always returned my calls in a timely manner.
Find out ahead of time what the entire plan of action is and will be.
Na
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolinas Medical Center.
See previous reaponse
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
The clinic was very clean and organized.
Na