1025 Morehead Medical Drive
Charlotte, NC 28204
704-355-3149

[Dr. Michelle Matthews] Always has an answer for my questions and never makes me feel like I’m asking “stupid” questions. I feel she understands how much anxiety infertility causes and she does her best to minimize that for me. I have had a very active involvement in my care and treatments...[new patient advice] Write down all of your questions and take them with you so you don’t forget. She is willing to spend as much time as you need answering.
The [Carolinas Medical Center] clinic as a whole is such a good place to have to be. It’s like they all understand the sadness that comes with infertility and how draining it can be. Check in was always easy and quick and it was nice that they would recognize me when I would enter. The ultrasound techs and lab nurses though they had a short time with you always found a way to make your experience personable.
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Very thorough. Always has an answer for my questions and never makes me feel like I’m asking “stupid” questions. I feel she understands how much anxiety infertility causes and she does her best to minimize that for me. I have had a very active involvement in my care and treatments. She isn’t just saying this is it and you need to follow it. Anyone with infertility knows the amount of research we do and she was always open to listening to what I read or found and giving her opinions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
My doctor was empathetic though I know she has aided countless patients with infertility treatments. I could just feel that she cared. My nurses are the same. It’s so comforting to know that whenever I send a message I know I will get a prompt reply.
Describe the protocols Michelle Matthews used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
We decided on Clomid and Ovidrel for our medications for IUI. I would begin taking Clomid 50mg on day 3 and about a week later go in for my first ultrasound to count follicles. I would end up needing more time and would come in a few days later. They would tell me exactly when to administer Ovidrel injection and have intercourse and when to come in for scheduled IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Christina Campbell)
I had 2 nurses with Dr. Matthews. My primary involvement was with Christina. I always felt like I was in the best of hands when I got to see her and was always glad when I found out she was the one taking care of me or performing my IUI. Nothing against the other nurse, I just didn’t have as much interaction. I have nothing negative to say about the other nurse.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
The clinic as a whole is such a good place to have to be. It’s like they all understand the sadness that comes with infertility and how draining it can be. Check in was always easy and quick and it was nice that they would recognize me when I would enter. The ultrasound techs and lab nurses though they had a short time with you always found a way to make your experience personable.

2016 - 2020, Unknown Success
Doctor Hurst always treats my husband andI as if we are the only patients that he is trying to help right now. He really focuses on us and cares about our needs...We had three IUI's under Dr. Hurst. They were assisted by clomid. We tried these right after we had our three failed IVF cycles. We wanted to do them and it was all we could afford to do. He said since we only had 4 previously he would not mind trying it again.
[Carolinas Medical Center nurses]They do thier job efficiently and professionally while making me feel as if I'm the only person in the world...Their bedside manner is very professional as well...About 5000 total for IUI and we have spent about 25000 for IVF...Strengths: cleanliness, professionalism, care, happy environment. Organized and well planned out. Weakness: the front desk (they tend to not be to friendly), times that they can do certain procedures.
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Hurst is always so friendly and tries to make light of our situation. He is always supportive and believes is us, and believes that we can be parents. He is doing everything he can In his power to find the right solution to our problem. He is good about making light of the situation as well, he always makes us laugh and helps us to feel more comfortable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Be prepared to tell him exactly what you want out of this. He likes to know what his patients are thinking and feeling about the situation and how they would like to approach it. It helps him to gauge a better understanding of his patients and with the medical data he can make a appropriate decision.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Describe the protocols Bradley Hurst used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolinas Medical Center.
The nurses are great. They do thier job efficiently and professionally while making me feel as if I'm the only person in the world. They know how to make you feel comfortable and welcome. Their bedside manner is very professional as well.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center.
About 5000 total for IUI and we have spent about 25000 for IVF
Describe Bradley Hurst's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.

2016 - 2020, Successful
She [nurse at Carolinas Medical Center] was great, left messages timely, communicated promptly, got me information promptly...Each IUI cycle cost about $200-300...Be specific about your specific prognosis and if she/the clinic are a good fit for you...I asked for Dr Usadi do my procedure after feeling like the nurse was having a hard time finding my cervix after 3 trials...
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
She was wonderful, for me and my diagnosis, she worked well. I was a great candidate for IUI and I was lucky to have gotten pregnant in less than 4 tries for each pregnancy, so for me that was a win. I do not know how things would have ended up for IVF, my situation was unexplained infertility on the first pregnancy with start to have diminished ovarian reserve on the second. I was 34 first time and 37 second time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Be specific about your specific prognosis and if she/the clinic are a good fit for you. I've read a lot of negative reviews about her stating they went through so many cycles only to learn they are not a good candidate for IVF with them but worked out at other facilities. I do hear that other facilities have different standards than this clinic, so be open about that question up front, that you don't want to waste your time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Her demeanor, questions, asking about personal well being, she took time and patience to hear me.
Describe the protocols Rebecca Usadi used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
Pregnancy 1 - I was 34 with unexplained infertility, ovarian reserve was good, I was menstruating almost consistently, I have a retroverted/tilted uterus, I think that might have been the problem where IUI just helped get the sperm to the egg more effectively. Did 3 trials with Clomid, 3rd IUI successful. Pregnancy 2 - I was 37, still unexplained fertility but starting to show low ovarian reserve, we tried 3 trials with Letrozole because it was newer with less chance of multiples/risk, 4th trial I asked to be switched back to Clomid because it worked for me 1st time and Dr. Usadi did the IUI procedure herself, I got pregnant. Normally, the IUI procedure is done by her main nurse and they are mostly very skilled. But I felt my cervix was hard to find for this particular nurse and so after 3 trials (each time it would take a while to find the cervix and was painful) I asked if Dr. Usadi could do the procedure and she was happy to. It worked!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Forgot the name )
She was great, left messages timely, communicated promptly, got me information promptly. Tried her very best
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
You have to make suggestions yourself at times, I asked for Dr Usadi do my procedure after feeling like the nurse was having a hard time finding my cervix after 3 trials. Or switching back to Clomid after using Letrozole 3 times, sometimes if you have a feeling, don't be afraid to voice it, Dr. Usadi will listen. If its within her means to do it, she'll try.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center.
Each IUI cycle cost about $200-300 I believe
Describe Rebecca Usadi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
Charlotte
Dr. Usadi is very knowledgeable. She speaks to me with kindness and is very patient. She never makes me feel rushed or like she doesn't have time for me or my questions. I felt that I perhaps did not understand the likelihood that my first egg retrieval would not result in a healthy embryo due to my age, but it was explained, just maybe not emphasized enough...For an IVF egg retrieval, I took Lupron, then began Menopur, and then Gonal F. When it came time, I took two injections of Ovidrel as the trigger.
This [Carolinas Medical Center] clinic is very organized. Seeing as it is a part of the larger hospital, it is very much like a doctor's office and not at all like a spa or outpatient facility. It runs efficiently, I never have to wait to be seen. All of the employees do their job well. Some, particularly when you get to the back with the nurses and doctors, are kind and pleasant. The front office staff are standard, not particularly nice or mean, they just get the job done.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi is very knowledgeable. She speaks to me with kindness and is very patient. She never makes me feel rushed or like she doesn't have time for me or my questions. I felt that I perhaps did not understand the likelihood that my first egg retrieval would not result in a healthy embryo due to my age, but it was explained, just maybe not emphasized enough. I think my expectations were not correct.
Dr. Usadi is a very patient and kind doctor. Make sure you ask questions and really understand your chances.
Dr. Usadi always speaks to me kindly, even when delivering bad news. She remains upbeat about my chances and promises to stick with me for as long as possible in pursuing my goal of having a second child.
For an IVF egg retrieval, I took Lupron, then began Menopur, and then Gonal F. When it came time, I took two injections of Ovidrel as the trigger. I had the retrieval, and at 40 years old, they retrieved 10 eggs. Unfortunately, none of the embryos were chromosomally normal. This was described to me as being a very standard protocol.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
This clinic is very organized. Seeing as it is a part of the larger hospital, it is very much like a doctor's office and not at all like a spa or outpatient facility. It runs efficiently, I never have to wait to be seen. All of the employees do their job well. Some, particularly when you get to the back with the nurses and doctors, are kind and pleasant. The front office staff are standard, not particularly nice or mean, they just get the job done.
IVF was around $15000. Additional fees for donor sperm, genetic testing, and other doctors fees. Total around $20,000
This clinic is very conservative. If you do genetic testing of the embryos, they will only transfer one embryo at a time, no matter your age.
Charlotte
I love that Dr Matthews calls me herself and seems to remember what’s going on with us. She talks to other docs about what is going on with us for the best treatment plan ... Both of my retrieval’s used Lupron, Gonal F, Menopur, Birth Control and an Ovidrel trigger. She adjusted the protocol on my second retrieval with much better results, from 8 eggs to 21 eggs. We did PGS both rounds.
Strengths [of Carolinas Medical Center] - once you are a patient, easy to schedule, quick call backs, financial questions get answered quickly, easy to get answers on messaging portal Weaknesses- takes a long time to get in, sometimes a little late getting started on busy mornings ...When the new coordinators started, I had to ask for clarification twice on protocols because I was told something different by a different nurse. Once I had to call to have my prescription sent over because it was not
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
I love that Dr Matthews calls me herself and seems to remember what’s going on with us. She talks to other docs about what is going on with us for the best treatment plan. She brings us in to meet with her instead of just discussing things over the phone. She encourages questions and explains things fully.
Write down all your questions and bring them, she will answer everything.
She calls me herself often, calls my by the name I go, not my first name.
Both of my retrieval’s used Lupron, Gonal F, Menopur, Birth Control and an Ovidrel trigger. She adjusted the protocol on my second retrieval with much better results, from 8 eggs to 21 eggs. We did PGS both rounds. For transfer, first round, PIO shots (every 3 days) and vaginal suppositories (2xday), estrogen patches changed every 3 days and estrogen pills twice a day. Second transfer, We did low dose Lupron and Menopur to get a thicker lining, estrogen patches changed every 3 days and daily PIO shots.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenny)
Jenny was not my favorite, she tends to talk down to people. However, Bob, the new coordinator, is great.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Strengths- once you are a patient, easy to schedule, quick call backs, financial questions get answered quickly, easy to get answers on messaging portal Weaknesses- takes a long time to get in, sometimes a little late getting started on busy mornings
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center.
I am very lucky that my insurance covers a lot of it, except the meds. They were expensive, however, she is very aware of that and tries not to over prescribe.
Describe Michelle Matthews's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
She prefers 1 embryo with PGS testing. Especially for us with so many unexplained miscarriages.

2014 - 2018, Successful
In the beginning we tried IUI twice; the first being an EVIE and the second being a traditional IUI. She [Dr. Michelle Matthews] wanted to give me the opportunity to try EVIE in hopes that it would help me and I also wanted to do it because it was part of a study and any help I can give back to the infertility community, I’m up for it. Both IUIs did not produce children. With both IUIs I had used Femara (not sure of dosage) and Ovidrel shots. I had multiple ultrasounds and it showed I was responding, but I didn’t get pregnant. A few months after IUI failed I began the IVF process. I had lots of testing and an endometrial scratching in hopes it would better my chances. At the time I was very overweight and she recommended that I lose at least 10% of my body weight and it was extremely difficult and I was unable to meet that goal, but I did go on to do IVF. She chose to do a higher dosage of IVF medications due to my weight. I was closely monitored and had ultrasounds every other day and sometimes every day to make sure I was responding well and not overstimulating. I used Gonal-f, cetrotide, menopur, estrogen patches, and ovidrel; I know I had a few other things as well, but I do not recall everything. I do not remember the amounts. I had 10 eggs retrieved, 7 were fertilized, 4 grew, then 2 slowed down and I was left with 2 in the end. I was not overstimulated from IVF, so I had a fresh embryo transfer. I did not get get pregnant. A few months later, I was prepped to have a frozen embryo transfer. Both embryos looked great. The frozen embryo had no damage and appeared perfect. I did get pregnant from the frozen embryo, but sadly miscarried shortly after.
I love this clinic [Carolinas Medical Center- Charlotte]! A con which could also be a pro is that there is a maternal fetal specialist in the same office. A pro and con is that you will see others with children in the waiting room. Some clinics do not allow children due to the nature and sensitivity of everything, so be prepared to see others with children or others who are pregnant.
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Matthews is a very warm, open reproductive endocrinologist. She always allows me to ask any question I may have and I’m never made to feel stupid and she explains things perfectly for me. She is always looking for ways to better help me. Infertility is a difficult journey and having a provider who understands that and you can tell they genuinely care, it makes a massive difference.
To listen. She offers a lot of help and information.
When I miscarried, she cried with me... when my mother-in-law passed away, she helped me with that as I was going through IVF at the time. She was always available for me for any needs I may have. She and her nurse team treated me like I was the only patient; I was never rushed or pushed aside. She is amazing!
In the beginning we tried IUI twice; the first being an EVIE and the second being a traditional IUI. She wanted to give me the opportunity to try EVIE in hopes that it would help me and I also wanted to do it because it was part of a study and any help I can give back to the infertility community, I’m up for it. Both IUIs did not produce children. With both IUIs I had used Femara (not sure of dosage) and Ovidrel shots. I had multiple ultrasounds and it showed I was responding, but I didn’t get pregnant. A few months after IUI failed I began the IVF process. I had lots of testing and an endometrial scratching in hopes it would better my chances. At the time I was very overweight and she recommended that I lose at least 10% of my body weight and it was extremely difficult and I was unable to meet that goal, but I did go on to do IVF. She chose to do a higher dosage of IVF medications due to my weight. I was closely monitored and had ultrasounds every other day and sometimes every day to make sure I was responding well and not overstimulating. I used Gonal-f, cetrotide, menopur, estrogen patches, and ovidrel; I know I had a few other things as well, but I do not recall everything. I do not remember the amounts. I had 10 eggs retrieved, 7 were fertilized, 4 grew, then 2 slowed down and I was left with 2 in the end. I was not overstimulated from IVF, so I had a fresh embryo transfer. I did not get get pregnant. A few months later, I was prepped to have a frozen embryo transfer. Both embryos looked great. The frozen embryo had no damage and appeared perfect. I did get pregnant from the frozen embryo, but sadly miscarried shortly after.
Jenny and the entire team became a second family to me. Jenny was always available to talk to me about my fertility treatment and she also helped me through a lot of anxiety and trouble I experienced. I feel blessed to have had her and the team to help me.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I love this clinic! A con which could also be a pro is that there is a maternal fetal specialist in the same office. A pro and con is that you will see others with children in the waiting room. Some clinics do not allow children due to the nature and sensitivity of everything, so be prepared to see others with children or others who are pregnant.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Carolinas Medical Center.
You are treated with care and respect. You are a human and not a number!
I have some fertility treatment coverage through my husband’s employer, so it would be different for someone who is self pay; however regardless of your situation, they try to find ways to help with costs such as coupons and discounts. The pharmacy there is also great for this too!
Charlotte

She [Dr. Michelle Matthews] was very professional especially in the beginning & factual which I appreciated- telling us all the details & her recommendations. As we continued treatments with her she was more familiar & warm/comforting...We spent a lot of time trying to get pregnant so we grew to know her and she us. She would meet with us before any procedure and to discuss results which I was happy with. She gave each meeting plenty of time & answered any questions we had. I initially wanted to put off iui and ivf and she respected our wishes until we were ready to go those routes. I felt like she wanted to genuinely help us become parents.
Strengths [at Carolinas Medical Center]: Flexibility with appointment times and scheduling patients especially since IVF and IUI appointments require time-sensitive evaluation. Creating a calm environment despite the anxiety and stress of the situation. When I ran out of medication and needed more sooner than I thought I could get it, they helped me get it straightened out so I did not miss a dose. They were very sensitive and encouraging each visit. Weaknesses: Missed communication of results on 2 occasions when there was a plan to administer time-sensitive medication requiring me to call after hours and the on-call staff not knowing what to do as they were not part of my doctors team.
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Tell her what you are comfortable doing- if you’re hesitant at waiting on a specific treatment. She will respect your decision and do all she can to meet you where you are.
She was very professional especially in the beginning & factual which I appreciated- telling us all the details & her recommendations. As we continued treatments with her she was more familiar & warm/comforting.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Fitzpatrick)
There were 2 times where I had to reach back out to the nurse after I did not hear back regarding results and dosing instructions with medications I was to take that evening (so it was timesensitive). However this was twice over a period of over 2 years so I don't count that as a huge downfall, we are human and through this whole process I learned I needed to be my own health advocate and be more proactive if I didn't hear back by a certain time (2pm) so I made sure I got my answers from the staff who knew me and not the on-call staff who, most of the time, had no idea what I was asking or how to answer my questions since I was not their immediate patient.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Strengths: Flexibility with appointment times and scheduling patients especially since IVF and IUI appointments require time-sensitive evaluation. Creating a calm environment despite the anxiety and stress of the situation. When I ran out of medication and needed more sooner than I thought I could get it, they helped me get it straightened out so I did not miss a dose. They were very sensitive and encouraging each visit. Weaknesses: Missed communication of results on 2 occasions when there was a plan to administer time-sensitive medication requiring me to call after hours and the on-call staff not knowing what to do as they were not part of my doctors team.
Dr. Matthews explained to us that multiple embyro transfers are not recommended unless certain criteria are met- over 37 years old, previous failed IVF transfer. She also noted that just because more than 1 embryo is transferred does not increase likelihood of success and can actually cause more issues. If miscarried, it could result in the loss of 2 embryos instead of just 1. If the mother became pregnant, there could be increased stress on the mother, increased stress on both babies which have increased chance of pre-mature birth requiring NICU stays. Basically 2 is not always a guaranteed better results and not always the best option.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Medical Center.
Failed to call with results: On 2 occasions I was not notified of results from blood work and therefore did not know how to proceed with time-sensitive medication administration. Had to call office the first time had to talk with on-call staff who were not familiar with my case and the second time I called while the regular staff was still in clinic so I was able to get my answers. Failed calling in medication to pharmacy: After hours, had to speak to on-call staff who were not familiar with my case and to wait for medication to be called when it should have been ready for pick-up.
2014 - 2018, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Matthews] was very informative and straight forward with our options and odds with each of those options. We are still seeing her now for treatment and would love to continue if we move forward with IVF after the IUI's.... We are in the middle of cycle 3 of 3 for IUI. Each cycle I did 100mg of Clomid days 3-7 at night. On cycle day 3 of each cycle they did blood work prior to confirm it was ok to start the Clomid. The first cycle they also did a baseline ultrasound on this day.
So far this clinic [Carolinas Medical Center] strength would be their compassion and taking time to make sure you understand your options and the procedures. Everyone from the front desk, the financial counselors, nurses, and Dr. Matthews was very friendly. I do wish they had financial options for those who do not have IVF insurance coverage. They do offer a self pay discount but no type of financing or promise to pay plans some other clinics offer.
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
As mentioned from the previous question Dr. Matthews made us feel more like people and not just another number. She was very informative and straight forward with our options and odds with each of those options. We are still seeing her now for treatment and would love to continue if we move forward with IVF after the IUI's.
I would tell a prospective patient how quick the response time is and how we have had a great experience.
We had went to a consultation at a different RE practice before seeing Dr. Matthews. At that practice it was like we were just another number and left feeling discourage. When we change practices and met Dr. Matthews it was a completely different experience. She was very informative, kind, and straight forward but in in nice way that made us feel human unlike the other place that made us feel like a number.
We are in the middle of cycle 3 of 3 for IUI. Each cycle I did 100mg of Clomid days 3-7 at night. On cycle day 3 of each cycle they did blood work prior to confirm it was ok to start the Clomid. The first cycle they also did a baseline ultrasound on this day. I would then return mid-cycle for an ultrasound and blood work. Once those results came back the nurse would call me later that same day and tell me when to take the trigger Ovidrel 250MCG and when to come back for the IUI. The Ovidrel injection was taken 36 hours prior to my scheduled IUI. I have irregular cycles and my spouse has a low count. Each cycle my spouse count has improved some, but it's still low. So far we have been unsuccessful with treatment. If this 3rd IUI does not work Dr. Matthews will re-evaluate our situation and possible move forward with IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolinas Medical Center.
The nurses were very nice and friendly. They made sure we understood everything and took their time explaining the procedures. The nurses also answered all our questions.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
So far this clinic strength would be their compassion and taking time to make sure you understand your options and the procedures. Everyone from the front desk, the financial counselors, nurses, and Dr. Matthews was very friendly. I do wish they had financial options for those who do not have IVF insurance coverage. They do offer a self pay discount but no type of financing or promise to pay plans some other clinics offer. We have truly loved our experience so far with this clinic. If we have to move to IVF we will have to unfortunately transfer to one of those other clinics even though we do not care much for them to make it affordable. Other than that we would continue to use this clinic. Due to the lack of insurance coverage and costs we can only afford the IUI services at this clinic.
I am not sure on the total IUI cost due to my insurance will cover some on IUI and most of the charges are still pending insurance. So far the total is around $1,054 outstanding and we have paid about $675 so far out of pocket including med cost. My insurance does not cover anything towards IVF and the estimate they gave me including meds was $20,000 - $25,000.
Charlotte
Dr hurst speaks to you in a direct manner. He is extremely knowledgeable and never rushes you, he even asks if he answered everything for for. He will go into what if sceniros with you and have back up plans in place so you don’t loose the monthly cycle.... dr hurst gave us hope after we were told we would never get pregnant. Before starting ivf automatically, He recommended 3 iui procedures with clomid and ovidrel trigger shot. The first iui worked but sadly it ended in an ectopic pregnancy at 8 weeks. Dr hurst did his part perfectly, my body didnt allow the embryo to implant in the right place.
Blood work is efficient and appoints can be made last minute they [Carolinas Medical Center] will get you in. One Monday morning I had started a cycle over the weekend and I showed up with no appointment- they saw me anyways! Cmc Womens was amazing when I had to have a d&c. As bad as the situation was I felt like I was in a hotel and treated like a princess.... This nurse is amazing and she has been there for me even through the hardest times. I feel like we are a team and I am her only patient. She’s wonderful!
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Don’t wait to see him. It takes a while to get an app as a new patient but once you are in he makes time for his patients
Dr hurst and his nurse paisley Townsend are caring people who talk to me in a professional way but always show compassion and extra care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Paisley Townsend )
Paisley has become like a friend to me. She always remembers to call me with updates and stays positive but realistic. This nurse is amazing and she has been there for me even through the hardest times. I feel like we are a team and I am her only patient. She’s wonderful!
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Blood work is efficient and appoints can be made last minute they will get you in. One Monday morning I had started a cycle over the weekend and I showed up with no appointment- they saw me anyways! Cmc Womens was amazing when I had to have a d&c. As bad as the situation was I felt like I was in a hotel and treated like a princess.
My insurance covers some- I pay roughly $500 each iui including semen wash
Dr hurst does single embryo transfer but you can freeze the rest so you don’t have to go through retreval again. His cost to implant another embryo later is around $4,000
Charlotte
Most of my interaction with the clinic for my IVF/ICSI cycle was with various nurse. I only saw Dr. Usadi the day of egg retrieval...Dr. Usadi is a very friendly. She us compassionate for her patients and has a vast knowledge of infertility issues. My husband and I felt as if she was a member of our health team as opposed to a doctor telling us what we needed to do. She let us discuss options as opposed to dictating to us what was going to happen.
Libby [nurse at Carolinas Medical Center] has been an infertility nurse for 30 years I believe she told me. So I think in a lot of ways she had a lot of knowledge but unfortunately maybe she has lost some of her compassion for the field of infertility nursing...CMC women's Institute has great appointment times you can go in early in the morning or in the afternoon. Someone always answers the phone when you call. The parking situation is a little difficult and just getting over to the office from where I live would make for a long drive, almost an hour, but it was definitely worth it.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Do your research and ask a lot of questions
I'm not very good at this... I know I was on a Lupron protocol other than that I'm not good at remembering the names of protocols (if it was down, short, or long Etc)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Libby)
Libby has been an infertility nurse for 30 years I believe she told me. So I think in a lot of ways she had a lot of knowledge but unfortunately maybe she has lost some of her compassion for the field of infertility nursing.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
My insurance covered our first round of IVF at 100% after I paid my deductible. I was very happy however I had to do round 2 because their first round was unsuccessful and for medications alone it was going to cost $3,000. I was never able to get alternative medications or options so I have not completed IVF round 2 because I can't afford to pay that much for medication and I may have to pay for the procedures as well.
Dr. Usadi does have a standard for only transferring one embryo unless it's medically necessary to transfer more than one. She informed my husband and I we do not meet the requirements to transfer multiple embryos so we did only transfer one.
Charlotte
After our first meeting Dr. Hurst looked at me and said “I’m not very patient”. And he proved that to be true. He was and is active and helping us become pregnant. ...He understood my history of a stillbirth and was an encourager for seeing us being home a baby.......He is personable and I felt so cared for. I felt like he was on my team but he was also very truthful with me. He is so intelligent and knowledgeable and you can tell he really has a passion for it.
I think the biggest weakness would be the time it took to get an appointment. I was lucky because they fit me in very quickly because of my history...but the original wait was going to be 4 months to get my initial appointment....The entire staff at the Women’s Institute in the RE Department really took care of me. They were personable, professional and had a lot of compassion.
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
He is personable and I felt so cared for. I felt like he was on my team but he was also very truthful with me. He is so intelligent and knowledgeable and you can tell he really has a passion for it. He understood my history of a stillbirth and was an encourager for seeing us being home a baby.
Listen to him and trust the process.
I cry just thinking about Dr. Hurst. He was gentle and compassionate and he a lot of time looking over my history (I suffered a stillbirth at 34 weeks pregnant on Christmas Day last year) and I could tell he was invested in my success.
After our first meeting Dr. Hurst looked at me and said “I’m not very patient”. And he proved that to be true. He was and is active and helping us become pregnant. In this journey so often women feel constant pressure (from themselves and their dreams) and having a doctor that is telling you THEY are also in a rush to see you pregnant is amazing. I don’t remember the dosage of Clomid but I believe it was 50mg and I took it once a day from cycle day 3-7 and then ovidrel the day before the IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Paisley)
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I think the biggest weakness would be the time it took to get an appointment. I was lucky because they fit me in very quickly because of my history (of losing my first child to a stillbirth at 34 weeks then having secondary infertility) but the original wait was going to be 4 months to get my initial appointment.
Expensive. Our insurance did not coverage our IUI or any fertility related treatment and it’s costed us over $1,000 just for the initial treatments. If I were to do IVF it would take over $10,000.
Charlotte
Dr. Marshburn was very sensitive and compassionate in delivering bad news...He was willing to help me be more comfortable during a second HSG by giving me a higher level of sedation...I had 2 IUI's with donor sperm. I was given Clomid and the Ovidrel as the trigger shot...I was given 50 mg of Clomid, just to make sure that at my older age (38), that I was going to ovulate and that the procedure would have the best chances.
nurses at this [Carolinas Medical Center] have always been organized, communicative, and compassionate...[clinic]Operations run smoothly and everything is always organized in regards to my appointments...Some of the cost was covered by my insurance. The Ovidrel shot was around $85. Each IUI was less than $1000...This clinic has made changes over the last few years to help get you in and out for blood work and ultrasounds
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Marshburn was very sensitive and compassionate in delivering bad news. He always provided me with hope even when things didn't go well. He was willing to help me be more comfortable during a second HSG by giving me a higher level of sedation, because he remembered how painful the first one was for me. I felt that his care for me was personalized, and that I wasn't just another patient. I honestly don't have any negative feedback to say about him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
If you have the opportunity to work with Dr. Marshburn, then do it! I think you will be happy you did.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Marshburn was very sensitive in delivering the Azoospermia diagnosis to my husband and I. He was always very upfront with us, but also kind and encouraging.
Describe the protocols Paul Marshburn used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
I had 2 IUI's with donor sperm. I was given Clomid and the Ovidrel as the trigger shot. I have not been diagnosed with any fertility issues (we were doing IUI because of my husband's infertility), but I think I was given 50 mg of Clomid, just to make sure that at my older age (38), that I was going to ovulate and that the procedure would have the best chances. Then, Ovidrel was used to time ovulation and to schedule the IUI. I received a negative pregnancy test for the first IUI. The second IUI led to a chemical pregnancy which I lost in April of 2017. Then I took a break, emotionally unsure if I wanted to try again. Later, in October and November of 2017, I had two more IUI's with donor sperm. The first was a negative pregnancy test, but the 2nd one was successful and led to the birth of our healthy daughter in July of 2018.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolinas Medical Center.
You end up interacting with the nursing staff a lot as they manage a lot of the every day next steps in your treatment plan. The nurses at this location have always been organized, communicative, and compassionate. They have generally been upbeat and encouraging as well.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I have only ever used this clinic so I do not have much to compare it to, but my experiences with it have always been positive. Operations run smoothly and everything is always organized in regards to my appointments. I sometimes would have difficulty in getting information from the lab coordinator about having the donor sperm delivered. There are very specific directions to follow which can sometimes feel intimidating. But, in the long run, even that went smoothly, and led to a positive overall experience. This clinic has made changes over the last few years to help get you in and out for blood work and ultrasounds, making it easier for me to get to work in the mornings. Patients used to have to go to a common lab which served the whole hospital, but they now do routine blood work in a lab in the office, making that go much quicker.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center.
The IUI process was overall affordable. I cannot remember the specific costs. Some of the cost was covered by my insurance. The Ovidrel shot was around $85. Each IUI was less than $1000.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Rebecca Usadi] was amazing to recommend my husband and I for a clinical trial looking at male factor infertility. The trial provided three FREE rounds of IUI after a few months of male treatment with antioxidant/placebo study drug...During my HSG, Dr. Usadi said that she would explain the procedure as she went. I told her that I did not want to know, and that I would just like to focus on my breathing. She offered to lead a relaxed breathing exercise while performing the procedure and I obliged.
The hospital [Carolinas Medical Center] and the doctor provide opportunities for entrance into clinical trials...we were entered into a research study that included 3 FREE rounds of IUI...My husband's results from the andrology lab were not posted in a timely manner, like we usually experience. Our study nurse was quick to provide us the results when we asked her for it...As a study patient, it can be a bit disorganized when going for blood work and scans, because I am not the typical patient that the other nursing and tech staff are used to dealing with.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi has an amazing bedside manner. She performed my HSG and later my IUI, after a failed attempt from the nurse who usually performs the procedure. Dr. Usadi's presence is calming and re-assuring. When in her care, I do not question the procedure at hand or the level of care that I am receiving.
Be willing to speak up about what works for you and what does not. During my HSG, Dr. Usadi said that she would explain the procedure as she went. I told her that I did not want to know, and that I would just like to focus on my breathing. She offered to lead a relaxed breathing exercise while performing the procedure and I obliged. It was so helpful, I walked away wishing she could not only help us make our baby, but one day deliver it! When she performed my IUI, she remembered that the breathing exercises works for me and initiated the relaxation technique. It was very helpful during a such an uncomfortable procedure.
In my first appointment with Dr. Usadi, I felt encourage about our situation. She was warm, but clinical providing all necessary information. She answered all questions that I had for her, none of which she made me feel like were "stupid questions". After the appointment which I attended without my husband, I was emotional and crying on my way out of the clinic. I was stopped by a nurse who offered a warm hug and words of encouragement and shared her own infertility story. I immediately knew I had made the right choice in the clinic. Both Dr. Usadi and her nurses have all been warm and caring throughout all of our appointments and procedures.
She was amazing to recommend my husband and I for a clinical trial looking at male factor infertility. The trial provided three FREE rounds of IUI after a few months of male treatment with antioxidant/placebo study drug. It was such a blessing to be entered into the study. It also reinforced my decision to go to the hospital for treatment, rather than the other local for-profit RE clinic. The hospital and the doctor provide opportunities for entrance into clinical trials, as Dr. Usadi chooses to participate in such studies.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Kathy Ramsey)
Kathy is the study nurse in-charge of the research trial that my husband and I are in. Her communication has been phenomenal, always reaching out to prepare us for the next steps and just checking in. She provided her cell number for 24 hr access is necessary. This has made our experience at this clinic.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
As a study patient, it can be a bit disorganized when going for blood work and scans, because I am not the typical patient that the other nursing and tech staff are used to dealing with. As my protocol is a little different than most other patients going through the same stages, I do have some responsibility to keep track of what my protocol is, if my study nurse isn't readily available. However, she is usually just a few mins or a text away. She always follows up on any clinic issues that I have had, including a billing issue.
I have good insurance for diagnostics. When it comes to treatment, we have been lucky to not have to pay for anything as we were entered into a research study that included 3 FREE rounds of IUI, per Dr. Usadi's recommendation.
We are not there yet in our treatment process.

2012 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Matthews personally called to inform me she was unable to do a procedure due to an emergency with another patient and asked if I had a preference for which doctor took her place. I transferred two 3-day embryos, negative pregnancy test. Next we did a FET with our 2 remaining embryos (5-day). Positive pregnancy test - singleton born at 36 weeks via c section due to Vasa previa.
[ At Carolinas Medical Center] IUI - around $600 IVF - $ 12,000 plus meds ($2,500) FET - $2400...Pre retrivial and pre transfer ultrasound visits were completed during a morning monitoring window. Typically I was always seen withing 20 minutes of arriving at the clinic. Post transfer ultrasounds were scheduled to a specific time slot...I transferred two 3-day embryos, negative pregnancy test. Next we did a FET with our 2 remaining embryos (5-day). Positive pregnancy test - singleton born at 36 weeks via c section due to Vasa previa.
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Matthews is great. She is caring, knowledgeable and has good bedside manner. She has personally called to check on me after losses, called when she had an emergency and was unable to perform an egg retrivial, and has always expressed sorrow and condolences wit losses and negative betas. She is respectful and timely for appointments
Be honest with her about your wants, ask all questions.
Dr. Matthews has always taken the time to answer any questions we have had, she explains things thoroughly. Dr. Matthews personally called to inform me she was unable to do a procedure due to an emergency with another patient and asked if I had a preference for which doctor took her place. She called and checked on me after I had misscarried pregnancies, even when I had been released from her care.
We began with 3 medicated(clomid/trigger shot) and monitored iuis, after that didn't work we moved on to ivf (gonal f, menopur, estrogan patches, crinone, icsi). 8 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized. I transferred two 3-day embryos, negative pregnancy test. Next we did a FET with our 2 remaining embryos (5-day). Positive pregnancy test - singleton born at 36 weeks via c section due to Vasa previa. Performed medicated (letrozole/trigger shot)/monitored iui, negative. IVF stim cycle, (same protocol as first cycle, icsi) - 8 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized 5 day embryos. Transferred 1 fresh embryo, positive beta, pregnancy ended at 12 weeks (trisomy 18). FET, positive beta, pregnancy ended at 5.5 weeks. FET, negative beta.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jennie)
Jennie is wonderful. Returns calls in a timely manner, answers questions. Jennie is super sweet and caring. She helps out in anyway she can
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Great doctors and nursing staff. Billing can be slow
IUI - around $600 IVF - $ 12,000 plus meds ($2,500) FET - $2400
Charlotte

[Dr. Marshburn's] bedside manner was exactly what we needed — truthful, to the point and compassionate... He cares about his patients’ health first and foremost. He never pushed an agenda and allowed my body’s response (and that of my husband’s) to guide the process. He saw me as an individual and always put me first — over any possible outcome. But mostly he was kind and he answered ALL of my questions with knowledge and experience. I can’t imagine having trusted anyone else to get us where we are today.
She [nurse at Carolinas Medical Center] was the best listener and communicator. I always left knowing what the next step was and it felt as though she walked alongside me — rooting for us and cheering for us. She seemed just as excited that our transfer was successful as we were. I never felt alone and words can’t express what that does for someone going through such a stressful and emotional experience.
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
From day one, Dr. Marshburn was kind and informative. His bedside manner was exactly what we needed — truthful, to the point and compassionate. And not only that, but when he helped pioneer the fertility clinic years ago, he fought to make it affordable for the folks who worked for the hospital. Which, in my case, was extremely beneficial as it gave me incredible financial assistance/benefits for pursuing help with our fertility. He cares about his patients’ health first and foremost. He never pushed an agenda and allowed my body’s response (and that of my husband’s) to guide the process. He saw me as an individual and always put me first — over any possible outcome. But mostly he was kind and he answered ALL of my questions with knowledge and experience. I can’t imagine having trusted anyone else to get us where we are today.
Ask questions! He’ll answer them honestly and he has a great way of explaining things so that they make sense. The body is so complex but he makes it more easily understood and will go out of his way to make sure you understand what’s going on.
The entire staff at this location treated my husband and I with respect and kindness. They went out of their way to make us comfortable, speak the truth, and cheer alongside of us during our TTC journey. We were seen as individuals, not statistics, and were treated as though our situation was unique (because it was). I can’t imagine having worked with anyone else.
From the beginning, it was determined that I had a low average egg supply. He never pushed us one way or another but always made it clear what our options were. He was always good about recommending what he believed was clinically best for us but never pushed anything on us. As our infertility was considered “unexplained”, He recommended pursuing several rounds of IUI as this was least invasive. As two rounds failed, he then explained the benefit of pursuing IVF due to my lower egg supply but also that it would increase the likelihood that we could conceive. Granted, we were blessed in that we had a lot of financial assistance through my insurance which allowed us to consider this option sooner. He ultimately always left the decision up to us but always made sure we had the information and the time to make the decision. We chose to do IVF after two rounds of IUI. We retrieved 18 eggs, 6 were frozen, and one was implanted. Dr. Marshburn did not recommend transferring more than one egg at a time given my age (I’m under 35 so the chances of one working was high enough) and he didn’t want to risk multiple embryos sticking as this can pose some increased health risks to me and/or the babies themselves. We completed a fresh transfer with one embryo and became pregnant during that cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center.
She was the best listener and communicator. I always left knowing what the next step was and it felt as though she walked alongside me — rooting for us and cheering for us. She seemed just as excited that our transfer was successful as we were. I never felt alone and words can’t express what that does for someone going through such a stressful and emotional experience.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
They’re very careful about the privacy of their patients and the continuum of care across facilities (labs, OBs, etc). They made sure nothing fell through the cracks and made sure you left feeling taken care of. They offered snacks in the lobby and went out of their way to be aware of the emotions of their clients (i.e. their clinic was set up beside another clinic that had frequent pregnant women coming in and out — they provide separate nursing rooms for nursing moms so that the women in the clinic are not watching this occur as even that can be emotionally painful).
~15,000 for meds and procedures.
Describe Paul Marshburn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
I appreciated the concern he had for my health. It felt as though he was just as concerned about my personal health than a successful transfer. Which made me trust him more.
Charlotte

Dr. Usadi [at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte] had obviously thoroughly read our chart before our first appointment with her. All of the nurses, ultrasound techs, and coordinators were kind and empathetic each time I was there....De. Usadi was always kind and very willing to answer questions. She never seemed like she was in a rush to finish the visit, always willing to answer another question. She presented facts and data supporting everything the clinic does.
From the front desk, to the ultrasound techs, to the coordinator, to the research nurses, to the ivf nurses, to the lab techs I found everyone [at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte] to be so kind and caring. I felt like a person, not a medical record number....IVF was $12,000. IVF meds were $2000. Endometrial scratch was free as I participated in a study. The FET was $3200....Dr. Usadi had obviously thoroughly read our chart before our first appointment with her. All of the nurses, ultrasound techs, and coordinators were kind and empathetic each time I was there.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
She is soft spoken and reserved, but always willing to answer any question, no matter how silly you make think it is. Don't be afraid to speak up...she will have the answer for you.
I was placed on the long lupron protocol. 3 weeks of birth control pills, then lupron alone for about a week, then Gonal-F and finally menopur was added. I went for bloodwork and ultrasounds about every other day while on stimulation meds. I had 8 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized with ICSI and we got 2 embryos. Unfortunately, this is below the expected rate of 60% fertilization, that I still do not know a reason for. One embryo was transferred on day 3 and ended with a BFN. The next cycle I had an endometrial scratch to prepare for FET. I was put on estrace and endometrin. I had 2 monitoring ultrasounds during that time. Our frozen transfer resulted in a BFP (currently 14 weeks along.)
I can't really complain about the nurse, but never felt a connection there. It seemed like everytime I called I had to explain a lot of the same things. I did grow frustrated with some lack of communication regarding some of the paperwork they require. Once I got my BFP, Libby really celebrated and was very warm. The retrieval/transfer nurses really impressed us. They were so kind, warm, and empathetic. Still keep in touch with them even after being released from the clinic!
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
From the front desk, to the ultrasound techs, to the coordinator, to the research nurses, to the ivf nurses, to the lab techs I found everyone to be so kind and caring. I felt like a person, not a medical record number.
Mondays were the busiest, but I would get there as early as I could to get in and out and off to work and never felt like I waited to awful long.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Medical Center.
The only issue I had the whole time was that some testing we were initially instructed to do, we did, and then had to do it again because the first time was too far out from IVF. Not a huge deal, but we were paying OOP and we were not thrilled to pay for the same tests twice.

2013 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Marshburn was wonderful. Before my first ever visit he had reviewed all tests and information sent over from my gynecologist and was prepared with a plan before we even spoke...He was very confident and easy to speak with. I would have liked to have had more interaction with him versus just the nurses but enjoyed the appointments where I met with him. ...I don't have a single negative thing to say about him... He is willing to listen and work with you
The clinic [Carolinas Med Ctr - Char] is great. It's set inside a hospital so it's a little cumbersome to get to but the clinic validates your parking and gives clear instructions so it's not so bad. The clinic itself is very clean and has everything you need to be treated. Their hours for follicle checks are amazing and very helpful for a working couple...[Nurses] They were always welcoming and tried to remember something small about each of their patients. They were always compassionate and very informative. They were prompt with their call-backs and always willing to answer questions I had.
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Marshburn was wonderful. Before my first ever visit he had reviewed all tests and information sent over from my gynecologist and was prepared with a plan before we even spoke. As our conversation progressed he made changes based on the information he got from me and went from there. He was very confident and easy to speak with. I would have liked to have had more interaction with him versus just the nurses but enjoyed the appointments where I met with him. Once we became pregnant he was present during the initial ultrasound and explained everything to us in detail and asked us to please update him when our son was bored. I was impressed when I did and actually received an email back from him. It was so nice. When going back to him to try for a second child he again had read up on everything and even remembered the notebook I kept with me at every appointment. I don't have a single negative thing to say about him.
Go in with all your details. He is willing to listen and work with you but be prepared so as not to prolong the process.
The staff was friendly and some even remembered by name by sight and not just the chart. They always were personable which was very nice. When I got my first ever positive two nurses even jumped up and down with joy when I went in for my BETA.
1) first cycle was 50mg clomid days 4-8 to which I did not respond so we proceeded with 100mg clomid days 12-16. I had a 18mm follicle on my LT ovary. Triggered on CD 20. IUI on CD 22. Negative outcome 2) Switched to Femara based on the nasty side effects I had from the clomid. 5mg femara days 4-8. I had a 23mm and 17mm follicle on my RT ovary on CD 14. Triggered that night and IUI on CD 15. Negative outcome 3) 5mg Femara on days 3-7. I had a 22mm follicle on my RT ovary on CD 11. Triggered CD 12. IUI on CD 14. Positive beta 14DPIUI. Live birth at 40w1d. 4) 5mg Femara on days 4-8. I had a 19.5mm follicle on LT ovary on CD15. Triggered CD16. IUI on CD18. Negative outcome. 5) 5mg Femara on days 3-7. I had a 24mm and 19mm follicle on LT ovary on CD11. Triggered that night and IUI on CD13. Negative outcome 6) 5mg Femara on days 3-7. I had a 24mm and 15mm follicle on LT ovary on CD10. Triggered that night and IUI on CD12. Negative outcome 7) 5mg Femara on days 3-7. I had a 16mm follicle on LT ovary and a 19mm and 16mm follicle on RT ovary on CD10. Triggered on CD11 and IUI on CD13. Negative outcome. Negative outcome After the 4th failed IUI for our second child we decided to move onto IVF.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
The clinic is great. It's set inside a hospital so it's a little cumbersome to get to but the clinic validates your parking and gives clear instructions so it's not so bad. The clinic itself is very clean and has everything you need to be treated. Their hours for follicle checks are amazing and very helpful for a working couple.
Each IUI cost approx $600-$700 including medications.

2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr Marshburn is an outstanding Dr. he is kind and compassionate and wants you to fully understand the process and anything you have questions about. He is happy to discuss percentages and what ifs etc. He doesn’t rush you and is easy to talk to.... The protocol after the femera and IUIs did not work was IVF. I used lupron, menopur and gonal F and ovidril trigger and crinone. For the later FET for a 2nd I used estradiol, vivelle patches and progesterone in oil shots.
The entire staff [at Carolinas Medical Center] is wonderful and compassionate. I mainly worked with Joanna and Libby but also worked with Jenny and Bethany. They are al very kind and happy to help you in any way. They treat you like friends.... Parking and validation is easy. Great hours. Not usually a long wait. The place to have blood drawn is on another floor and can have a wait depending on the time of day. The clinic waiting room is adjacent to MFM so you can easily and often see pregnant women/kids.
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
Write out questions you have ahead of time so you do not forget to ask something. Also if you have records from another hospital/practice bring copies because we had trouble with them being able to access them even though the other practice said they sent them.
Dr Marshburn is warm and kind and takes time with you as a patient. Jen is happy to explain anything and you feel he truly cares.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Libby Boatwright)
The entire staff is wonderful and compassionate. I mainly worked with Joanna and Libby but also worked with Jenny and Bethany. They are al very kind and happy to help you in any way. They treat you like friends.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Monitoring was efficient and well run.
I believe the IVF cycle including meds and retrieval and transfer etc was around 15000. A frozen transfer including meds was around 4000-5000
He felt there was a greater risk to transferring two especially for the first transfer.
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
IUI With Other Docs
Dr. Hurst sat down with my husband and I before we started treatments. He laid everything out for us and what his expectations were. Before starting treatments he did an evaluation and found that I needed scar tissue removal surgery from my previous losses. Find this was very helpful and I'm thankful for it, instead of going ahead and starting treatments without making sure that everything was in the best shape possible for treatment. Dr. Hurst listens to my concerns and makes sure I am comfortable with the process he has in mind for our fertility process...
I think the [Carolinas Medical Center - Charlotte] clinic is very organized and has great customer service. You do not have to wait long in the waiting room to be seen. They have many rooms for ultrasounds and regular exam rooms. This helps you get in and get out. I like that they have the option to come in very early in the morning. This helps with people who have to go to work right after. In their patient portal they do post the notes from your appointments with the doctor, which is very helpful if you have questions or cannot remember something...
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Hurst is very clinical when it comes to explaining the treatments he has laid out for you. He explains the process in a very scientific way, lays out statistics and shows evidence to back up his plan. He listens to all of your questions and comes up with a plan that works for you.
Dr. Hurst is not a touchy-feely type of doctor. He is a great doctor but can be dry when explaining treatment types and what is involved. He is a great doctor and doesn't suggest or move forward with something until you are ready.
I started with Dr. Hurst in July of 2015. I had just had my second loss. He did blood work and evaluations, then determined I needed scar tissues removal surgery. I had surgery in October 2015. He also confirmed I have PCOS and MTHFR, so decided we would do three cycles of medication with trigger shot. In March 2016 we started treatments. The first cycle started with an ultrasound to make sure everything was ready and blood work. On days 3-7 I would take letrozyle. I went back on day 12 and 14 for ultrasounds to see when my lining was thick enough and I had a follicle that was ready for ovulation. I would give myself a trigger shot after ovulation was predicted and then have timed intercorse after 36hrs. We did this for 3 cycles and my last cycle ended in June 2016. None of these cycles resulted in a pregnancy or loss. His next suggestion is to do IUI, which we will start in Jan/Feb 2017.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Paisley )
Whenever I called Paisley was always the one to call me back. That brought me great satisfaction because it showed that I wasn't dealing with the entire team, just her and Dr. Hurst. She called me back quickly, listened to my questions and always got answers for me.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I do not like that the lab isn't in the clinic. Since it's in the hospital you have to go down a couple floors to the lab. Sometimes there is also a pretty long wait in the lab for them to see you. I also find it frustrating that you cannot find out your lab results for several days through their website. The nurse will call you with results, but if you want exact numbers you have to ask while your on the phone or wait up to a week to see the results in their patient portal. I think the clinic is very organized and has great customer service. You do not have to wait long in the waiting room to be seen. They have many rooms for ultrasounds and regular exam rooms. This helps you get in and get out. I like that they have the option to come in very early in the morning. This helps with people who have to go to work right after. In their patient portal they do post the notes from your appointments with the doctor, which is very helpful if you have questions or cannot remember something.
The cost so far hasn't been as much as was initially told to us. For each round medication, ultrasounds, and lab work was about $200-300.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Medical Center.
In August 2015 my cycle hadn't come and I was around day 50. They wanted to bring me in for blood work, so I got my progesterone and HCG checked. Later that day my period came so I knew I wasn't pregnant and when the nurse called she said I should be getting my period at any time. However, when the results posted in their patient hub a week later I noticed that my HCG was at 15, which means I had a chemical pregnancy. This was very frustrating for me because although there wasn't anything I could've done it would've made me feel a lot better to know all the facts when the nurse called.
2015, Successful
Dr. Usadi was present and available throughout my treatment and I always felt like she knew who I was and knew our case. When I became overwhelmed right before my IVF retrieval she was warm and comforting. Made me feel normal for getting emotional....IVF w/ICSI was $12,000. Medication for Long Lupron Protocol was $2,200 at CMC pharmacy. FET was $3,200.
CMC clinic was wonderful to work with. I never met with any doctor other than my own. I saw her many times throughout my treatment. Ultrasounds are completed in rooms were you have your own screen and can watch the entire thing. The techs do a wonderful job of explaining what you are seeing. The same nurse met with me after each ultrasound and explained the results and discussed my medication for that day. Only draw back is the smallish waiting room and that the Women's Institute also houses MFM's so there are often pregnant women in the other waiting room for appointments.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi was wonderful to work with. She explained everything in detail and provided research to back up her reasoning for choosing certain procedures or protocols. She was able to answer all of our questions from the very beginning. Dr. Usadi was present and available throughout my treatment and I always felt like she knew who I was and knew our case. When I became overwhelmed right before my IVF retrieval she was warm and comforting. Made me feel normal for getting emotional.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. She provides you with lots of information and all of the reasoning behind why she chooses certain things for you.
While under the care of Dr. Usadi, I really felt like a human. I saw her multiple times throughout my treatment and always felt like things were explained in detail. During procedures she was warm and comforting, especially when I was overwhelmed and cried.
We initially met with Dr. Usadi when we were considering moving to IVF. She explained the protocol she would suggest based on my age and our diagnosis. I was on the Long Lupron Protocol (Lupron, gonal-F, Menopur). It was recommended that we use ICSI due to Male Factor Infertility. Since this was our first IVF experience she recommended a fresh transfer. I responded well to medication and remained on a lower dose throughout stimming. I had 11 eggs retrieved. 9 of them were mature and 8 fertilized with ICSI. We ended up with 5 day 5 embryo's and transferred 1. She recommended transferring 1 as I'm currently 29. This transfer resulted in a BFN and we moved right into a frozen transfer cycle. Dr. Usadi completed an endometrial scratch during my next cycle and explained that research had shown this to aide in implantation. I started on medication that day and then had a frozen transfer of 1 embryo. My beta at 13dp5dt was 816 and I am currently 15 weeks pregnant.
Libby was wonderful to work with. I met with her after every monitoring ultrasound and frequently spoke with her over the phone. She returned calls quickly and always was able to answer my questions. She was compassionate when delivering news of my BFN and was so excited to call with my positive beta.

2011 - 2013, Successful
Investor
Dr. Matthews is very kind and very informative without being condescending. She worked well with both my husband and me. We went through 2 separate IVF cycles that resulted in 2 live births... My first retrieval yielded 3 eggs. Two of them survived fertilization, and we implanted them both at 3 days. I had one live birth (full term, healthy, etc.). My 2nd retrieval yielded 4 eggs. Two of them survived fertilization, and we implanted them both at 3 days.
Libby was my coordinator for the first round, and Joanna was my coordinator for the 2nd round. Libby was very matter-of-fact/no-nonsense while also being kind and compassionate. Joanna was incredibly kind and supportive-- I think that she actually teared up when my second pregnancy test came back positive. They're both amazing (please note that I had 2 cycles and 2 positive pregnancies so that may be putting rose colored glasses over my experiences, but I honestly thought they were both great).
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Matthews is very kind and very informative without being condescending. She worked well with both my husband and me. We went through 2 separate IVF cycles that resulted in 2 live births so we had a 100% success rate. I realize that this is VERY atypical and that we were incredibly lucky. But, I attribute much of our success to Dr. Matthews and the two nurses that I saw for both of the cycles.
She is responsive and compassionate.
My husband and I both went on a round of antibiotics. I then did Lupron injections for about a week and then added in some sort of pen injections (I don't remember the name) and then Menopur. I went to the Women's Institute a couple of times per week for follicle tracking (via ultrasound) and blood tests, and at the end, I went in every other day. They had early morning appointments, so it was convenient for me to go before work, and if I got there by 6:30, I was in and out very quickly. During both cycles, one of my ovaries (a different one each time) did not produce a thing. I was told that this was common, but it was a little alarming. For both cycles, I used the same medications and dosages, but my 2nd cycle took 3-4 days longer than my first to yield enough follicles. When the nurses and Dr. Matthews believed that my follicles were developed enough, I did an Ovidrel injection 36 hours before my retrieval. My first retrieval yielded 3 eggs. Two of them survived fertilization, and we implanted them both at 3 days. I had one live birth (full term, healthy, etc.). My 2nd retrieval yielded 4 eggs. Two of them survived fertilization, and we implanted them both at 3 days. I had one live birth (2 weeks early, healthy, etc.). After the first implantation, research still recommended bed rest afterwards, so I did 3 serious days of bed rest and disconnecting (no internet, etc.). By the time we had our second implantation, bed rest was no longer recommended, but I did the same thing again since it "worked" the last time. Between the implantation and the pregnancy tests, I did progesterone gel suppositories.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Libby and Joanna)
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Convenient and close to uptown. Facilities are clean and discreet. I always felt like I was one of the only people being seen (but know that was not the case because there were always others in the waiting room).
The monitoring appts start at 6:30 a.m. I tried to be there by 6:25 a.m. to ensure that I was one of the first people seen. If you show up later, it takes much longer. You have to go to a separate floor for bloodwork, and I believe that office doesn't open until 7:00 a.m., so there would generally be a line to get blood drawn.
The first time, it was presented as a package with a base cost and then the potential for add-one (freezing, ICSI, etc), and all-in, it was ~12k. The second time, it was just a one time payment of about ~12k. Note-- these payments did not include any of the medication/injections, etc. They covered the cost of the procedure. The cost for the medicine was 4,500-5,000. In both instances, I had to purchase additional Menopur
2016 - 2020, Successful
[Dr. Bradley Hurst] is very compassionate. He explains in detail the process. He sets realistic expectations. He is very knowledgeable and helps not only the patient but also the spouse understand the process. He is caring and truly genuine...For my egg retrieval he did baseline test such as labs and an ultrasound, a hysteroscopy because my uterus was oddly shaped(very minor) and then stims.
Their [Carolinas Medical Center] very friendly, organized and efficient. From the receptionist to the financial advisor everyone is on top of things. They made my experience less stressful. They welcome you with a smile and treat with respect...Frozen embryo transfers were $2475. And my next IVF cycle wilk be $13,650...
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Hurst is very compassionate. He explains in detail the process. He sets realistic expectations. He is very knowledgeable and helps not only the patient but also the spouse understand the process. He is caring and truly genuine.
Do not hesitate to let Dr. Hurst help you build your family.
I felt like a human. Dr. Hurst is the best there is. I wouldn't use anyone else. Here says how it is and is very passionate about what he does
The process was pretty simple. For my egg retrieval he did baseline test such as labs and an ultrasound, a hysteroscopy because my uterus was oddly shaped(very minor) and then stims. For the frozen embryo transfers I would call when I got my period and went in for labs. I then started estrogen and then called with my next period and then a few days before the transfer I would start progesterone shots.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenni)
Jenni was awesome. She truly cared about me as a person not just a client.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Their very friendly, organized and efficient. From the receptionist to the financial advisor everyone is on top of things. They made my experience less stressful. They welcome you with a smile and treat with respect.
Frozen embryo transfers were $2475. And my next IVF cycle wilk be $13,650
Dr. Hurst educated me on what was best for my age and situation.

2012 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Usadi treated me like a person. She was caring and spent valuable time with my husband and me explaining things in careful detail and answering my (many) questions. She treated me like an intelligent person and never talked down to me. When I went back for treatments this year (after a successful IUI and pregnancy two years ago), she remembered me and was familiar with my medical history when I arrived. Also, when we went in for our ultrasound when I got a positive pregnancy test two hears ago, she was warm and excited. She also spent quality time with us after the ultrasound.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Sharon)
They were extremely accessible. They promptly returned my calls and called me frequently (even if after hourS) to keep me updated on the course of treatment, test results, etc. This accessibility was unlike any I've ever encountered with any doctor, and frankly, spoiled me! They also were extremely patient and detailed, explaining everything and never acted frustrated with my (many) questions. I never felt like they were rushing me to get off the phone or out of the office (again a rarity in today's medical world). Overall, they were the most positive and caring women and nurses I've ever been around. They made the fertility experience a positive experience for me. I never got down about anything because of them.
Charlotte

He [Dr. Hurst] knows what he is doing and he will work hard to get the results you want...We completed 3 rounds of IUI before deciding to move on to IVF protocols. I took Clomid with each round and used a trigger shot... is kind and compassionate. He is often rooting for us and frequently meeting and ensuring we have all the information we need...is an excellent example of what a fertility doctor should be. He is calm, composed, positive, and caring. He listens carefully and answers every question and concern. Even though we are still not pregnant, we have never felt more understood and cared for. Dr. Hurst is working hard to ensure our happiness and he is great with remembering all the details that we share with him in each visit.
We completed 3 rounds of IUI before deciding to move on to IVF protocols at Carolinas Medical Center]. I took Clomid with each round and used a trigger shot...The team is organized and caring. They are very busy but still try to ensure your comfort and understanding...is an organized clinic. They see many clients and they work hard to meet each need. The office is in a large building and has access to the different components needed (diagnostic lab, pharmacy, etc). The office staff are friendly and seem well-organized.
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Hurst is an excellent example of what a fertility doctor should be. He is calm, composed, positive, and caring. He listens carefully and answers every question and concern. Even though we are still not pregnant, we have never felt more understood and cared for. Dr. Hurst is working hard to ensure our happiness and he is great with remembering all the details that we share with him in each visit.
He knows what he is doing and he will work hard to get the results you want.
Dr. Hurst is kind and compassionate. He is often rooting for us and frequently meeting and ensuring we have all the information we need.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
CMC Women’s is an organized clinic. They see many clients and they work hard to meet each need. The office is in a large building and has access to the different components needed (diagnostic lab, pharmacy, etc). The office staff are friendly and seem well-organized.
We pay a $50 copay. The IUI rounds cost about $1000 each. Our total cost for IVF is estimated to be $25000.
Charlotte

She [Dr. Matthews] talked to directly to my husband and I. She was informative but also spoke in plain terms so we were not confused. As she explained different options and plans; she had handouts to go over to help understanding....I needed to go have a HSG and she had pictures and explained in detail what would happen. When I had my follow up CD3 labs done to start clomid; she called me directly with the results which I appreciated.
There was little wait time; I did not feel rushed. They [Carolina's Medical Center] explained everything when I arrived at the visit. And even before the visit, the financial advisor called to go over what our insurance would not cover and costs.... She [Dr. Matthews] talked to directly to my husband and I. She was informative but also spoke in plain terms so we were not confused. As she explained different options and plans; she had handouts to go over to help understanding.
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
I am a nurse, but not in the fertility field, so its foreign to me. She spoke to me but also included my husband in the conversations. I needed to go have a HSG and she had pictures and explained in detail what would happen. When I had my follow up CD3 labs done to start clomid; she called me directly with the results which I appreciated.
She talked to directly to my husband and I. She was informative but also spoke in plain terms so we were not confused. As she explained different options and plans; she had handouts to go over to help understanding.
We are still in the beginning stages. She had labs drawn, HSG and a analysis for my husband done. Then when everything came back normal we moved on to discuss the medications/IUI/IVF. She said we could do a few different options but ultimately left it up to us to decide what is best. She supported us wanting to start with clomid first then move to IUI if it did not work within 2 cycles.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
There was little wait time; I did not feel rushed. They explained everything when I arrived at the visit. And even before the visit, the financial advisor called to go over what our insurance would not cover and costs.
We are at the beginning stages so we are still waiting on the cost.