1025 Morehead Medical Drive
Charlotte, NC 28204
704-355-3149

Dr. Usadi [at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte] had obviously thoroughly read our chart before our first appointment with her. All of the nurses, ultrasound techs, and coordinators were kind and empathetic each time I was there....De. Usadi was always kind and very willing to answer questions. She never seemed like she was in a rush to finish the visit, always willing to answer another question. She presented facts and data supporting everything the clinic does.
From the front desk, to the ultrasound techs, to the coordinator, to the research nurses, to the ivf nurses, to the lab techs I found everyone [at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte] to be so kind and caring. I felt like a person, not a medical record number....IVF was $12,000. IVF meds were $2000. Endometrial scratch was free as I participated in a study. The FET was $3200....Dr. Usadi had obviously thoroughly read our chart before our first appointment with her. All of the nurses, ultrasound techs, and coordinators were kind and empathetic each time I was there.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
She is soft spoken and reserved, but always willing to answer any question, no matter how silly you make think it is. Don't be afraid to speak up...she will have the answer for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Describe the protocols Rebecca Usadi used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
I was placed on the long lupron protocol. 3 weeks of birth control pills, then lupron alone for about a week, then Gonal-F and finally menopur was added. I went for bloodwork and ultrasounds about every other day while on stimulation meds. I had 8 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized with ICSI and we got 2 embryos. Unfortunately, this is below the expected rate of 60% fertilization, that I still do not know a reason for. One embryo was transferred on day 3 and ended with a BFN. The next cycle I had an endometrial scratch to prepare for FET. I was put on estrace and endometrin. I had 2 monitoring ultrasounds during that time. Our frozen transfer resulted in a BFP (currently 14 weeks along.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Libby)
I can't really complain about the nurse, but never felt a connection there. It seemed like everytime I called I had to explain a lot of the same things. I did grow frustrated with some lack of communication regarding some of the paperwork they require. Once I got my BFP, Libby really celebrated and was very warm. The retrieval/transfer nurses really impressed us. They were so kind, warm, and empathetic. Still keep in touch with them even after being released from the clinic!
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
From the front desk, to the ultrasound techs, to the coordinator, to the research nurses, to the ivf nurses, to the lab techs I found everyone to be so kind and caring. I felt like a person, not a medical record number.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Carolinas Medical Center.
Mondays were the busiest, but I would get there as early as I could to get in and out and off to work and never felt like I waited to awful long.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Medical Center.
The only issue I had the whole time was that some testing we were initially instructed to do, we did, and then had to do it again because the first time was too far out from IVF. Not a huge deal, but we were paying OOP and we were not thrilled to pay for the same tests twice.
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
IUI With Other Docs
Dr. Hurst sat down with my husband and I before we started treatments. He laid everything out for us and what his expectations were. Before starting treatments he did an evaluation and found that I needed scar tissue removal surgery from my previous losses. Find this was very helpful and I'm thankful for it, instead of going ahead and starting treatments without making sure that everything was in the best shape possible for treatment. Dr. Hurst listens to my concerns and makes sure I am comfortable with the process he has in mind for our fertility process...
I think the [Carolinas Medical Center - Charlotte] clinic is very organized and has great customer service. You do not have to wait long in the waiting room to be seen. They have many rooms for ultrasounds and regular exam rooms. This helps you get in and get out. I like that they have the option to come in very early in the morning. This helps with people who have to go to work right after. In their patient portal they do post the notes from your appointments with the doctor, which is very helpful if you have questions or cannot remember something...
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Hurst is very clinical when it comes to explaining the treatments he has laid out for you. He explains the process in a very scientific way, lays out statistics and shows evidence to back up his plan. He listens to all of your questions and comes up with a plan that works for you.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Hurst is not a touchy-feely type of doctor. He is a great doctor but can be dry when explaining treatment types and what is involved. He is a great doctor and doesn't suggest or move forward with something until you are ready.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Describe the protocols Bradley Hurst used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
I started with Dr. Hurst in July of 2015. I had just had my second loss. He did blood work and evaluations, then determined I needed scar tissues removal surgery. I had surgery in October 2015. He also confirmed I have PCOS and MTHFR, so decided we would do three cycles of medication with trigger shot. In March 2016 we started treatments. The first cycle started with an ultrasound to make sure everything was ready and blood work. On days 3-7 I would take letrozyle. I went back on day 12 and 14 for ultrasounds to see when my lining was thick enough and I had a follicle that was ready for ovulation. I would give myself a trigger shot after ovulation was predicted and then have timed intercorse after 36hrs. We did this for 3 cycles and my last cycle ended in June 2016. None of these cycles resulted in a pregnancy or loss. His next suggestion is to do IUI, which we will start in Jan/Feb 2017.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Paisley )
Whenever I called Paisley was always the one to call me back. That brought me great satisfaction because it showed that I wasn't dealing with the entire team, just her and Dr. Hurst. She called me back quickly, listened to my questions and always got answers for me.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I do not like that the lab isn't in the clinic. Since it's in the hospital you have to go down a couple floors to the lab. Sometimes there is also a pretty long wait in the lab for them to see you. I also find it frustrating that you cannot find out your lab results for several days through their website. The nurse will call you with results, but if you want exact numbers you have to ask while your on the phone or wait up to a week to see the results in their patient portal. I think the clinic is very organized and has great customer service. You do not have to wait long in the waiting room to be seen. They have many rooms for ultrasounds and regular exam rooms. This helps you get in and get out. I like that they have the option to come in very early in the morning. This helps with people who have to go to work right after. In their patient portal they do post the notes from your appointments with the doctor, which is very helpful if you have questions or cannot remember something.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center.
The cost so far hasn't been as much as was initially told to us. For each round medication, ultrasounds, and lab work was about $200-300.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Medical Center.
In August 2015 my cycle hadn't come and I was around day 50. They wanted to bring me in for blood work, so I got my progesterone and HCG checked. Later that day my period came so I knew I wasn't pregnant and when the nurse called she said I should be getting my period at any time. However, when the results posted in their patient hub a week later I noticed that my HCG was at 15, which means I had a chemical pregnancy. This was very frustrating for me because although there wasn't anything I could've done it would've made me feel a lot better to know all the facts when the nurse called.

2015, Unknown Success
Dr. Marshburn is pleasant and takes his time to talk to you. I wish he was able to explain our unexplained infertility, but I guess sometimes no one can! I feel like he put us on the typical and usually prescribed track of 3 IUIs, then IVF. I wish there were more things we could try to diagnose and try before having to fork over $20k for IVF.
[Our nurse at Carolinas Medical Center] was our biggest advocate. She was always prompt in answering my questions and phone calls. She was always able to address and explain all the issues and questions I had that the doctor was not able to answer (due to not being available to me). She was patient and kind, which made the process a bit less painful for me.
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
He is pleasant and takes his time to talk to you. I wish he was able to explain our unexplained infertility, but I guess sometimes no one can! I feel like he put us on the typical and usually prescribed track of 3 IUIs, then IVF. I wish there were more things we could try to diagnose and try before having to fork over $20k for IVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
Don't expect to see him often. You will most often deal with the nurses instead. Doctor appts are mostly for initial consults only.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
The doctor forgot that we were new to all of this and he used terminology and abbreviations that were foreign to us. We had to ask him to stop and clarify a few times. He breezed over the descriptions of procedure protocols and highly recommended that we just read up on the prodedures ourselves on the American Reproductive Society's website. As he only addressed everything on a high-level, he was unable to address the nitty-gritty details of IUI testing and IVF scheduling. I felt that I would have liked to talked to both the doctor and a nurse at the same time during my dr meetings, as the nurses are the ones who hold more knowledge on the day-to-day workings of the lab/office/hospital and who can answer all my questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Kathleen Bratschi)
She was our biggest advocate. She was always prompt in answering my questions and phone calls. She was always able to address and explain all the issues and questions I had that the doctor was not able to answer (due to not being available to me). She was patient and kind, which made the process a bit less painful for me.
Paul Marshburn
2015, Successful
Dr. Usadi was present and available throughout my treatment and I always felt like she knew who I was and knew our case. When I became overwhelmed right before my IVF retrieval she was warm and comforting. Made me feel normal for getting emotional....IVF w/ICSI was $12,000. Medication for Long Lupron Protocol was $2,200 at CMC pharmacy. FET was $3,200.
CMC clinic was wonderful to work with. I never met with any doctor other than my own. I saw her many times throughout my treatment. Ultrasounds are completed in rooms were you have your own screen and can watch the entire thing. The techs do a wonderful job of explaining what you are seeing. The same nurse met with me after each ultrasound and explained the results and discussed my medication for that day. Only draw back is the smallish waiting room and that the Women's Institute also houses MFM's so there are often pregnant women in the other waiting room for appointments.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi was wonderful to work with. She explained everything in detail and provided research to back up her reasoning for choosing certain procedures or protocols. She was able to answer all of our questions from the very beginning. Dr. Usadi was present and available throughout my treatment and I always felt like she knew who I was and knew our case. When I became overwhelmed right before my IVF retrieval she was warm and comforting. Made me feel normal for getting emotional.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. She provides you with lots of information and all of the reasoning behind why she chooses certain things for you.
While under the care of Dr. Usadi, I really felt like a human. I saw her multiple times throughout my treatment and always felt like things were explained in detail. During procedures she was warm and comforting, especially when I was overwhelmed and cried.
We initially met with Dr. Usadi when we were considering moving to IVF. She explained the protocol she would suggest based on my age and our diagnosis. I was on the Long Lupron Protocol (Lupron, gonal-F, Menopur). It was recommended that we use ICSI due to Male Factor Infertility. Since this was our first IVF experience she recommended a fresh transfer. I responded well to medication and remained on a lower dose throughout stimming. I had 11 eggs retrieved. 9 of them were mature and 8 fertilized with ICSI. We ended up with 5 day 5 embryo's and transferred 1. She recommended transferring 1 as I'm currently 29. This transfer resulted in a BFN and we moved right into a frozen transfer cycle. Dr. Usadi completed an endometrial scratch during my next cycle and explained that research had shown this to aide in implantation. I started on medication that day and then had a frozen transfer of 1 embryo. My beta at 13dp5dt was 816 and I am currently 15 weeks pregnant.
Libby was wonderful to work with. I met with her after every monitoring ultrasound and frequently spoke with her over the phone. She returned calls quickly and always was able to answer my questions. She was compassionate when delivering news of my BFN and was so excited to call with my positive beta.

2011 - 2013, Successful
Investor
Dr. Matthews is very kind and very informative without being condescending. She worked well with both my husband and me. We went through 2 separate IVF cycles that resulted in 2 live births... My first retrieval yielded 3 eggs. Two of them survived fertilization, and we implanted them both at 3 days. I had one live birth (full term, healthy, etc.). My 2nd retrieval yielded 4 eggs. Two of them survived fertilization, and we implanted them both at 3 days.
Libby was my coordinator for the first round, and Joanna was my coordinator for the 2nd round. Libby was very matter-of-fact/no-nonsense while also being kind and compassionate. Joanna was incredibly kind and supportive-- I think that she actually teared up when my second pregnancy test came back positive. They're both amazing (please note that I had 2 cycles and 2 positive pregnancies so that may be putting rose colored glasses over my experiences, but I honestly thought they were both great).
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Matthews is very kind and very informative without being condescending. She worked well with both my husband and me. We went through 2 separate IVF cycles that resulted in 2 live births so we had a 100% success rate. I realize that this is VERY atypical and that we were incredibly lucky. But, I attribute much of our success to Dr. Matthews and the two nurses that I saw for both of the cycles.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
She is responsive and compassionate.
Describe the protocols Michelle Matthews used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
My husband and I both went on a round of antibiotics. I then did Lupron injections for about a week and then added in some sort of pen injections (I don't remember the name) and then Menopur. I went to the Women's Institute a couple of times per week for follicle tracking (via ultrasound) and blood tests, and at the end, I went in every other day. They had early morning appointments, so it was convenient for me to go before work, and if I got there by 6:30, I was in and out very quickly. During both cycles, one of my ovaries (a different one each time) did not produce a thing. I was told that this was common, but it was a little alarming. For both cycles, I used the same medications and dosages, but my 2nd cycle took 3-4 days longer than my first to yield enough follicles. When the nurses and Dr. Matthews believed that my follicles were developed enough, I did an Ovidrel injection 36 hours before my retrieval. My first retrieval yielded 3 eggs. Two of them survived fertilization, and we implanted them both at 3 days. I had one live birth (full term, healthy, etc.). My 2nd retrieval yielded 4 eggs. Two of them survived fertilization, and we implanted them both at 3 days. I had one live birth (2 weeks early, healthy, etc.). After the first implantation, research still recommended bed rest afterwards, so I did 3 serious days of bed rest and disconnecting (no internet, etc.). By the time we had our second implantation, bed rest was no longer recommended, but I did the same thing again since it "worked" the last time. Between the implantation and the pregnancy tests, I did progesterone gel suppositories.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Libby and Joanna)
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Convenient and close to uptown. Facilities are clean and discreet. I always felt like I was one of the only people being seen (but know that was not the case because there were always others in the waiting room).
The monitoring appts start at 6:30 a.m. I tried to be there by 6:25 a.m. to ensure that I was one of the first people seen. If you show up later, it takes much longer. You have to go to a separate floor for bloodwork, and I believe that office doesn't open until 7:00 a.m., so there would generally be a line to get blood drawn.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center.
The first time, it was presented as a package with a base cost and then the potential for add-one (freezing, ICSI, etc), and all-in, it was ~12k. The second time, it was just a one time payment of about ~12k. Note-- these payments did not include any of the medication/injections, etc. They covered the cost of the procedure. The cost for the medicine was 4,500-5,000. In both instances, I had to purchase additional Menopur
2016 - 2020, Successful
[Dr. Bradley Hurst] is very compassionate. He explains in detail the process. He sets realistic expectations. He is very knowledgeable and helps not only the patient but also the spouse understand the process. He is caring and truly genuine...For my egg retrieval he did baseline test such as labs and an ultrasound, a hysteroscopy because my uterus was oddly shaped(very minor) and then stims.
Their [Carolinas Medical Center] very friendly, organized and efficient. From the receptionist to the financial advisor everyone is on top of things. They made my experience less stressful. They welcome you with a smile and treat with respect...Frozen embryo transfers were $2475. And my next IVF cycle wilk be $13,650...
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Hurst is very compassionate. He explains in detail the process. He sets realistic expectations. He is very knowledgeable and helps not only the patient but also the spouse understand the process. He is caring and truly genuine.
Do not hesitate to let Dr. Hurst help you build your family.
I felt like a human. Dr. Hurst is the best there is. I wouldn't use anyone else. Here says how it is and is very passionate about what he does
The process was pretty simple. For my egg retrieval he did baseline test such as labs and an ultrasound, a hysteroscopy because my uterus was oddly shaped(very minor) and then stims. For the frozen embryo transfers I would call when I got my period and went in for labs. I then started estrogen and then called with my next period and then a few days before the transfer I would start progesterone shots.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenni)
Jenni was awesome. She truly cared about me as a person not just a client.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Their very friendly, organized and efficient. From the receptionist to the financial advisor everyone is on top of things. They made my experience less stressful. They welcome you with a smile and treat with respect.
Frozen embryo transfers were $2475. And my next IVF cycle wilk be $13,650
Describe Bradley Hurst's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
Dr. Hurst educated me on what was best for my age and situation.
Charlotte
In the 10 months I have been a patient, I have only seen Dr. Usadi twice...The couple times we met, I enjoyed our interaction. My biggest complaint is how little I've interacted with her since my initial visits...I have a friend at the same clinic and she seems to be way better informed with the overall process than I am...I was told to inject ovidrel at the wrong time.
I was told to inject ovidrel at the wrong time [at Carolinas Medical Center]. Luckily I called back to confirm as instructions didn't seem right. I've had multiple instances where prescriptions weren't called in. I also called once because I started my period two weeks early and that concern was completely ignored until I called back again...Too many cooks in the kitchen leads to confusion and miscommunication. I've received incorrect instructions, questions/concerns I expressed weren't addressed
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
The couple times we met, I enjoyed our interaction. My biggest complaint is how little I've interacted with her since my initial visits. I have a friend at the same clinic and she seems to be way better informed with the overall process than I am.
Go to a couple clinics/doctors before making a decision.
In the 10 months I have been a patient, I have only seen Dr. Usadi twice. The nursing staff has given me inaccurate instructions at time (e.g., told me wrong time to do the injection) and whenever you call, you have to leave a message instead of talking to someone live.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolinas Medical Center.
Too many cooks in the kitchen leads to confusion and miscommunication. I've received incorrect instructions, questions/concerns I expressed weren't addressed and no one told me you could only do 3 rounds of chlomid in a row. Had I known this, I would have skipped a couple months, but was encouraged by the nursing team to continue with cycle and see how it played out in terms of timing (when I had told them I'd likely be out of town)
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I like the early morning appointment times so it doesn't interfere with work and they seem to usually be on time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Medical Center.
I was told to inject ovidrel at the wrong time. Luckily I called back to confirm as instructions didn't seem right. I've had multiple instances where prescriptions weren't called in. I also called once because I started my period two weeks early and that concern was completely ignored until I called back again.

2012 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Usadi treated me like a person. She was caring and spent valuable time with my husband and me explaining things in careful detail and answering my (many) questions. She treated me like an intelligent person and never talked down to me. When I went back for treatments this year (after a successful IUI and pregnancy two years ago), she remembered me and was familiar with my medical history when I arrived. Also, when we went in for our ultrasound when I got a positive pregnancy test two hears ago, she was warm and excited. She also spent quality time with us after the ultrasound.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Sharon)
They were extremely accessible. They promptly returned my calls and called me frequently (even if after hourS) to keep me updated on the course of treatment, test results, etc. This accessibility was unlike any I've ever encountered with any doctor, and frankly, spoiled me! They also were extremely patient and detailed, explaining everything and never acted frustrated with my (many) questions. I never felt like they were rushing me to get off the phone or out of the office (again a rarity in today's medical world). Overall, they were the most positive and caring women and nurses I've ever been around. They made the fertility experience a positive experience for me. I never got down about anything because of them.
Charlotte

Dr. Usadi will only transfer one embryo...has great bedside manner. She is very compassionate and even called me a few days after my first miscarriage to check how I was doing...Although you don’t see Dr. Usadi at every visit, she always remembers you. She makes sure you fully understand everything going on and is happy to answer questions. Dr. Usadi is the only reason we keep going back. The staff is a different story.
It is impossible to get in touch with the [nursing] team [at Carolinas Medical Center]. And when they finally call you back, they aren’t prepared and you have to explain everything to them...$800 for IUI ~$18K IVF...My advice is to go directly through the finance counselors for everything involving insurance because the nursing staff is unreliable...They are not diligent in calling with lab results or scheduling appointments. I started birth control for IVF and was told to keep taking this until my insurance authorization went through.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi has great bedside manner. She is very compassionate and even called me a few days after my first miscarriage to check how I was doing.
It is impossible to get in touch with the team. And when they finally call you back, they aren’t prepared and you have to explain everything to them.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
They are not diligent in calling with lab results or scheduling appointments. I started birth control for IVF and was told to keep taking this until my insurance authorization went through. I was told this could take up to 15 days. 3 weeks later, I call - and they hadn’t even sent it to my insurance yet. My advice is to go directly through the finance counselors for everything involving insurance because the nursing staff is unreliable.
$800 for IUI ~$18K IVF
Describe Rebecca Usadi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
Dr. Usadi will only transfer one embryo
Charlotte

He [Dr. Hurst] knows what he is doing and he will work hard to get the results you want...We completed 3 rounds of IUI before deciding to move on to IVF protocols. I took Clomid with each round and used a trigger shot... is kind and compassionate. He is often rooting for us and frequently meeting and ensuring we have all the information we need...is an excellent example of what a fertility doctor should be. He is calm, composed, positive, and caring. He listens carefully and answers every question and concern. Even though we are still not pregnant, we have never felt more understood and cared for. Dr. Hurst is working hard to ensure our happiness and he is great with remembering all the details that we share with him in each visit.
We completed 3 rounds of IUI before deciding to move on to IVF protocols at Carolinas Medical Center]. I took Clomid with each round and used a trigger shot...The team is organized and caring. They are very busy but still try to ensure your comfort and understanding...is an organized clinic. They see many clients and they work hard to meet each need. The office is in a large building and has access to the different components needed (diagnostic lab, pharmacy, etc). The office staff are friendly and seem well-organized.
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Hurst is an excellent example of what a fertility doctor should be. He is calm, composed, positive, and caring. He listens carefully and answers every question and concern. Even though we are still not pregnant, we have never felt more understood and cared for. Dr. Hurst is working hard to ensure our happiness and he is great with remembering all the details that we share with him in each visit.
He knows what he is doing and he will work hard to get the results you want.
Dr. Hurst is kind and compassionate. He is often rooting for us and frequently meeting and ensuring we have all the information we need.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
CMC Women’s is an organized clinic. They see many clients and they work hard to meet each need. The office is in a large building and has access to the different components needed (diagnostic lab, pharmacy, etc). The office staff are friendly and seem well-organized.
We pay a $50 copay. The IUI rounds cost about $1000 each. Our total cost for IVF is estimated to be $25000.
Charlotte

She [Dr. Matthews] talked to directly to my husband and I. She was informative but also spoke in plain terms so we were not confused. As she explained different options and plans; she had handouts to go over to help understanding....I needed to go have a HSG and she had pictures and explained in detail what would happen. When I had my follow up CD3 labs done to start clomid; she called me directly with the results which I appreciated.
There was little wait time; I did not feel rushed. They [Carolina's Medical Center] explained everything when I arrived at the visit. And even before the visit, the financial advisor called to go over what our insurance would not cover and costs.... She [Dr. Matthews] talked to directly to my husband and I. She was informative but also spoke in plain terms so we were not confused. As she explained different options and plans; she had handouts to go over to help understanding.
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
I am a nurse, but not in the fertility field, so its foreign to me. She spoke to me but also included my husband in the conversations. I needed to go have a HSG and she had pictures and explained in detail what would happen. When I had my follow up CD3 labs done to start clomid; she called me directly with the results which I appreciated.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
She talked to directly to my husband and I. She was informative but also spoke in plain terms so we were not confused. As she explained different options and plans; she had handouts to go over to help understanding.
We are still in the beginning stages. She had labs drawn, HSG and a analysis for my husband done. Then when everything came back normal we moved on to discuss the medications/IUI/IVF. She said we could do a few different options but ultimately left it up to us to decide what is best. She supported us wanting to start with clomid first then move to IUI if it did not work within 2 cycles.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
There was little wait time; I did not feel rushed. They explained everything when I arrived at the visit. And even before the visit, the financial advisor called to go over what our insurance would not cover and costs.
We are at the beginning stages so we are still waiting on the cost.
Charlotte
Dr. Usadi was very informative and kind. She took the time to explain all our options and what to expect. We only met with her during the consultation and haven’t seen her since which is disappointing....After the initial consultation I have had very little one on one time to ask questions or discuss what’s happening....The nurses [Carolinas Medical Center] don’t give you much opportunity to ask questions outside of what they are doing at the moment. They lost an appointment of mine but didn’t tell me about it until I asked why I had been waiting for over an hour.
Every visit [Carolinas Med Ctr] feels like I’m on an assembly line just following the motions they tell me to....The wait can be long, especially for lab work. They don’t always give you opportunities to ask questions after the initial consultation so make your own opportunity. They are good about leaving detailed instructions on your voicemail if you miss their call but hard to actually talk with the nurse on the phone.
Ask questions!
I took clomid with a trigger shot prior to IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Kathleen)
Every visit feels like I’m on an assembly line just following the motions they tell me to.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Medical Center.
After the initial consultation there hasn’t been much explaining of what is happening next without me having to ask. The nurses don’t give you much opportunity to ask questions outside of what they are doing at the moment. They lost an appointment of mine but didn’t tell me about it until I asked why I had been waiting for over an hour. Getting lab work takes a long time although it is at a different office so may not be anything they can control.
Charlotte
[Dr. Bradley Hurst is] Very personable, remembers my name and case,...honest but gentle...He takes my wishes into account and tells me my options. He helps me continue to have hope. He helps make things happen. He is compassionate and honest. I feel like an individual not just a number...Clomid with IUI...Egg retrieval with moderate intensity medications to yield fewer higher quality eggs
She [nurse at Carolinas Medical Center] does a very good job of communicating and answering all of my questions and concerns. She helps me problems solve and knows me as an individual. She’s honest and caring...Embryo needed to be retested and they took 2 weeks to do so and didn’t tell me...they considered it non urgent....Overall a great clinic. Very rarely is communication an issue but they work very hard to make it not one. They use MCP as their in house pharmacy and they can be challenging to work with in that they sometimes aren’t prepared and cause extra frustration. Overall clinic experience has been good.
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
He’s a great provider and will fight with you for your goals
Very personable, remembers my name and case, listens to hownid like to move forward, honest but gentle
Clomid with IUI Egg retrieval with moderate intensity medications to yield fewer higher quality eggs
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Joanna)
She does a very good job of communicating and answering all of my questions and concerns. She helps me problems solve and knows me as an individual. She’s honest and caring.
Prefers eset
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolinas Medical Center.
Embryo needed to be retested and they took 2 weeks to do so and didn’t tell me they considered it non urgent.
Charlotte
At our first visit I was worried he [Dr. Bradley Hurst] wouldn't want to treat me due to my weight. He never made me feel bad about being overweight and he encouraged me in a nice way to continue my journey to becoming healthier during my ttc journey. He showed so much compassion and explained everything in great detail. I left feeling so much better.... He and his entire staff have taken the time to listen to me and my husband and always show compassion for our journey
Everyone from the front desk to ultrasound techs to nurses and doctors have been amazing [at Carolinas Medical Center]. They have nurses on call on the weekend so you dont have to worry about missing your day for procedures. I am so impressed and they really put you at ease. Lots of their staff have been through infertility as well so they understand.... Dont get discouraged if it takes a while for your initial consult because the rest of your visits you wont have that problem.
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
At our first visit I was worried he wouldn't want to treat me due to my weight. He never made me feel bad about being overweight and he encouraged me in a nice way to continue my journey to becoming healthier during my ttc journey. He showed so much compassion and explained everything in great detail. I left feeling so much better.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Everyone from the front desk to ultrasound techs to nurses and doctors have been amazing. They have nurses on call on the weekend so you dont have to worry about missing your day for procedures. I am so impressed and they really put you at ease. Lots of their staff have been through infertility as well so they understand.
Charlotte
Dr. Matthews was very understanding of my situation. I felt like she wanted ivf to Work for me just as badly as I wanted it to. She is very compassionate and explained our situation very clearly. She discussed the odds of ivf working in our situation....Microdose lupron flare. 20 mg 2x daily. Began cycle with desogen for 2.5 weeks. 300 gonal f, 150 menopur ...I had a very positive experience. Everyone is compassionate and understanding. They really want things to work out for you
I had a very positive experience [at Carolina Medical Center]. Everyone is compassionate and understanding. They really want things to work out for you...Appointments were convenient. They began as early as 6:30 am so I could Go on into Work...Very compassionate, always available to answer questions over the phone, via email or in person...Dr. Matthews was very compassionate in dealing with my situation... I felt like she wanted ivf to Work for me just as badly as I wanted it to.
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Go into your ivf cycle with an open mind. You never know what makes might happen. Also, don't get your hopes up
Dr. Matthews was very compassionate in dealing with my situation.
Microdose lupron flare. 20 mg 2x daily. Began cycle with desogen for 2.5 weeks. 300 gonal f, 150 menopur 5 retrieved eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 day 6 embryo biopsied and came back abnormal
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Fitzpatrick )
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Describe Michelle Matthews's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
Was not able to transfer because my embryo was abnormal
Michelle Matthews

Dr. Marshburn is patient and respectful. He understood our health issues, listened to our concerns and provided us with a well organized plan to conceive...Be patient. Dr. Marshburn and his team are fantastic, but this can be a long process filled with many tests and visits. You will understand what is being done each step of the way, though. You are in good hands!
The team [at Carolinas Medical Center of Charlotte] is fantastic and really tailors your care to your individual situation and preferences. They also know me by name and treat me with kindness and compassion....This clinic operates like a well oiled machine. Everyone is kind and compassionate and the team responds to phone calls in a timely manner....Monitoring appointments are easy! You arrive early in the morning and are generally seen within 15 minutes or less.
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
The team is fantastic and really tailors your care to your individual situation and preferences. They also know me by name and treat me with kindness and compassion.
Paul Marshburn
Charlotte
Dr. Usadi was personable on the initial visit. She spoken candidly with me about my previous experiences with fertility treatments. But I never saw her again on any subsequent visits...Dr. Usadi ordered blood work and prescribed fertility drugs. She then ordered an ultrasound to measure the eggs and prescribed additional meds to release the eggs. She then ordered for an IUI.
The clinic [Carolinas Medical Center] was very clean and organized...The nurses were all very sweet and willing to listen. They We're willing to listen to my fears and dealt with my tears. They were very reassuring. The nurses handled all of my questions compassionately and always returned my calls in a timely manner...Dr. Usadi was personable on the initial visit. She spoken candidly with me about my previous experiences with fertility treatments. But I never saw her again on any subsequent visits.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi was personable on the initial visit. She spoken candidly with me about my previous experiences with fertility treatments. But I never saw her again on any subsequent visits. The nurses were all very sweet and willing to listen. They We're willing to listen to my fears and dealt with my tears. They were very reassuring. The nurses handled all of my questions compassionately and always returned my calls in a timely manner.
Find out ahead of time what the entire plan of action is and will be.
Na
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolinas Medical Center.
See previous reaponse
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
The clinic was very clean and organized.
Na
Charlotte

I love Dr.Matthews. She is very understanding and shows she cares. She gives all options and what to try to do next. I haven't seen any weakness with Dr. Matthews. Anytime I had any questions she would respond in a timely manner.... 2 IVF cycles After the failed cycles we sat and talk and she recommended I do a tubal cannulation. She mention this before I started IVF but I wasn't ready for that.... The office is wonderful and so is Doctor Matthews
No weakness from my experiences. The clinic [Carolinas Medical Center] can get a phone system set up to where you don't have to leave a message and someone would call back. That's the only thing. I have recommend them to a few women... The office is wonderful and so is Doctor Matthews... I love Dr.Matthews. She is very understanding and shows she cares. She gives all options and what to try to do next. I haven't seen any weakness with Dr. Matthews.
Listen to her
The office is wonderful and so is Doctor Matthews
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenny)
I just love Jenny❤❤
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
No weakness from my experiences. The clinic can get a phone system set up to where you don't have to leave a message and someone would call back. That's the only thing. I have recommend them to a few women
I have insurance. I was responsible for copay payments
2021 - 2022, Successful
We went to Dr. Bradley Hurst in distress after consulting another doctor who we didn’t feel diagnosed us correctly. He assured us about things we were worried about, took time to understand our medical history before starting treatment. He then suggested a process we would follow and why. He was very compassionate and personable. We went through 4 IUI cycles, last one resulted in pregnancy and I am 13 weeks pregnant know. We can’t thank [him] enough for making having a baby reality to us. He made the whole process seamless, filling confidence in us.
The facility [Carolinas Medical Center] was so good, clean, staff was friendly. They even have pharmacy with discounted rate for fertility medication compared to other stores. Overall, I will recommend this facility to my friends...[nurse] was very patient, always gets back within the same business day when I leave her voice messages. She promptly follow up on scheduling visits, setting blood work, ultrasound and any treatment needed including medics pick up. She was a great help throughout the process.
How was your experience with Bradley Hurst at Carolinas Medical Center?
We went to Dr. Bradley Hurst in distress after consulting another doctor who we didn’t feel diagnosed us correctly. He assured us about things we were worried about, took time to understand our medical history before starting treatment. He then suggested a process we would follow and why. He was very compassionate and personable. We went through 4 IUI cycles, last one resulted in pregnancy and I am 13 weeks pregnant know. We can’t thank Dr. Hurst enough for making having a baby reality to us. He made the whole process seamless, filling confidence in us.
Trust in the process. Do you homework and educate yourself, so you understand all the options available to you and when doctor discusses with you, you will be able to make better decisions with knowing some.
Dr. Bradley Hurst was very compassionate , he took time to understand our concerns and answered all our questions patiently. He asked about our family history, not just as any doctor but actually took interest in it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Amber Thorsen)
Amber Thorsen was primary nurse assisted us during our treatment process. She was very patient, always gets back within the same business day when I leave her voice messages. She promptly follow up on scheduling visits, setting blood work, ultrasound and any treatment needed including medics pick up. She was a great help throughout the process.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
The facility was so good, clean, staff was friendly. They even have pharmacy with discounted rate for fertility medication compared to other stores. Overall, I will recommend this facility to my friends.
I had to copay and some covered by my insurance. Overall, very affordable to us.
Charlotte
Dr Matthews always took the time to answer all of my questions and thoroughly explain her thought process. She was prompt with her responses and helped make decisions that were beat for my specific journey...She was very specific on what drugs she used since it was very apparent that I have PCOS....I was always greeted with a hug and a smile and this was very calming to me!
The [Carolinas Medical Center] clinic could upgrade the cassette player they use for music when you are doing your post IUI 30 minute wait...overall I lived my experience...There was one nurse who was more like a therapist to me. She had been through a similar journey and would always ask me how I was doing mentally. More than once I cried in her arms. She was a huge part of my journey and what kept me going
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Go in with an open mind!
I was always greeted with a hug and a smile and this was very calming to me!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center.
There was one nurse who was more like a therapist to me. She had been through a similar journey and would always ask me how I was doing mentally. More than once I cried in her arms. She was a huge part of my journey and what kept me going.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
The clinic could upgrade the cassette player they use for music when you are doing your post IUI 30 minute wait 😂 overall I lived my experience. I had switched from another practice after a HIPPA violation and a very impersonal experience. CMC Gabe me renewed hope.
We had to pay for all noncoital treatment. Diagnostics were covered by our insurance.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Usadi is very knowledgeable and caring as well. She was still willing to let me have an acitive role in my treatment. She is quick to return communication sent to her. Dr. Usadi shows compassion and care in a time when that is of utmost importance.... I have PCOS and do not ovulate. I started with Letrozole as I had tried Clomid in the past with no response. We did and Ovidrel injection and IUI
Everyone [at Carolinas Medical Center-Charlotte] was wonderful. I have no complaints. The staff is caring and kind. They do their job well. The facility is clean and well organized. Parking is close and plentiful. I was always seen on time and when it was convenient for me... They check with your insurance and call well before your appointment... I have PCOS and do not ovulate. I started with Letrozole as I had tried Clomid in the past with no response. We did and Ovidrel injection and IUI
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Be prepared with questions before your consultation.
Dr. Unsaid is warm and friendly. I feel like she treats patients as individuals and customized a care plan that suits them.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Everyone was wonderful. I have no complaints. The staff is caring and kind. They do their job well. The facility is clean and well organized. Parking is close and plentiful. I was always seen on time and when it was convenient for me
Yes. They check with your insurance and call well before your appointment
Charlotte

I have PCOS, she [Dr. Michelle Matthews] let me know to try 3 more months of the Letrozole and if it didn’t work we would proceed to do the IUI. The 3rd month I got pregnant!!!... She was very to the point and let me know where I was and where we needed to be! So sweet and caring. I left knowing I would get pregnant soon! If I had any questions she answered them honestly and let me know everything was going to be okay.
I loved everything about this place [Carolinas Medical Center-Charlotte] The doctor, nurses, place. I felt at home and not so alone in a time I was so vulnerable. It was the hardest time of my life and they made me feel so special and wanted... I have PCOS, she let me know to try 3 more months of the Letrozole and if it didn’t work we would proceed to do the IUI. The 3rd month I got pregnant!!!
She’s amazing!
She was sweet and very to the point! I loved her
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Bethany Griffin )
She was amazing! Very sweet and took her time getting to know me
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I loved everything about this place. The doctor, nurses, place. I felt at home and not so alone in a time I was so vulnerable. It was the hardest time of my life and they made me feel so special and wanted
I’m not quit sure but I know it wasn’t as expensive has I was thinking it would be