7.3

Lone Tree, CO 80124
80 Health Park Dr.
Louisville, CO 80027

Treated 2015 - 2016
Individual interaction with Dr. Surry was very limited. During our entire journey I believe we only physically met him twice – during the consultation and embryo transfer. That said, we did speak to him on the phone twice; once to discuss genetic test results and finally when we were determined to move our embryos to another clinic. While our nurse was great, everything else about CCRM felt very much like a baby mill.
They [CCRM Colorado- Denver] did not have any protocols in place for dealing with a gay couple. We paid for the group meetings but were asked politely to not attend. They told our GC that that may required a second unnecessary quarantine. We were unable to select an egg donor even though they allowed us to view donors. The whole thing was very unfortunate. So much so that we moved clinics.
How was your experience with Eric Surrey at CCRM Colorado?
Each fertility journey is a bit different. As such, here is a little about our journey. From the start, we knew that we would need an egg donor and gestational carrier. As such, we worked with CCRM to select a donor and create embryos. Dr. Surry also evaluated our gestational carrier and managed the transfer. From a medical standpoint there was nothing particularly ‘complex’; healthy eggs, healthy sperm, healthy gestational carrier. In our interactions with Dr. Surry his perspective was that it was an ‘easy case’. That said, the administration of this process was a disaster. Also, our child was born with a significant physical disability. Interestingly, while this disability should have been identified while still under the care of CCRM, it was missed on every ultrasound.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Surrey at CCRM Colorado?
Do not rely on reputation alone. Dr. Surry helped us create our family. CCRM had the best reparation at the time and so we gave them a lot of leeway. When their administration was a disaster we overlooked it – because ‘they are the best’. Now we are left we a lot of regrets… what if their disastrous administration somehow contributed to our child’s lifelong disability. We should have followed our gut.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Surrey at CCRM Colorado?
Describe the protocols Eric Surrey used in your cycles at CCRM Colorado and their degree of success.
As I recall our treatment strategies were fairly routine. The one thing that was out of the ordinary was the need for a FDA quarantine (six months) of our sperm. One thing that was a bit frustrating was, after the embryos were created, Dr. Surry offered to allow our GC to have an additional six-month quarantine of the embryo – which was of course her decision. The challenging this is that this was not required and we did not even know it was an option until our GC almost backed out of our match because it would have through the timing off.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Monique)
Overall, Monique was great at coordinating and communicating. Often it became evident that CCRM did not have the administrative processes in place for our situation and so Monique ended up doing a lot of back and forth. One challenge was when we notified her of our child’s physical disability, her approach was more clinical than compassionate in the moment. That was hard.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
Utter disappointment on nearly every level. Their billing was a mess. They asked us to fill out very personal information in a rushed and PUBLIC place. It felt as though the operations were not equipped to deal with a gay couple.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Surrey at CCRM Colorado.
I don't recall the cost.
Describe Eric Surrey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Colorado.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
They did not have any protocols in place for dealing with a gay couple. We paid for the group meetings but were asked politely to not attend. They told our GC that that may required a second unnecessary quarantine. We were unable to select an egg donor even though they allowed us to view donors. The whole thing was very unfortunate. So much so that we moved clinics.

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Barton was very clear and took time to answer questions. She outlined different treatment options so that we could make decisions about how to proceed. She comes across as very knowledgeable of recent studies and best practices.... Our first attempt was with a fairly aggressive protocol, but I had a poor response and the cycle was cancelled. Dr. Barton changed the protocol for the next attempt, and it was more successful.
CCRM is large, but everyone from the receptionist to the nurse recognized us when we walked in. All the people we interacted with were friendly, patient, and compassionate.... CCRM has great results, but I wouldn't consider them patient-centered. They have quite a few rigid policies about things that do not allow for patient input. For example, some clinics will work with patients to decide together about visiting family in Zika zones and taking precautions
How was your experience with Sara Barton at CCRM Colorado?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sara Barton at CCRM Colorado?
I would advise taking pen and paper to take notes. Patient records are not available online, so if you are discussing test results or likely outcomes, you will want your notes to refer to later.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sara Barton at CCRM Colorado?
Describe the protocols Sara Barton used in your cycles at CCRM Colorado and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado.
We interacted with several nurses, including our main nurse. All were friendly and helpful, but they tended to report test results as "fine" instead of giving specifics numeric results.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
CCRM has great results, but I wouldn't consider them patient-centered. They have quite a few rigid policies about things that do not allow for patient input. For example, some clinics will work with patients to decide together about visiting family in Zika zones and taking precautions; CCRM has a rigid policy that forbids treatment within so many months of a visit.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sara Barton at CCRM Colorado.
CCRM has a discount for Colorado residents and is also part of a discount program with United.
Describe Sara Barton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Colorado.
CCRM follows ASRM guidelines for embryo transfer based on age and PGS testing. The lengthy consent form we went over with the nurse covered these limits.
Treated 2018 - 2019
He [Dr. Schoolcraft] is compassionate and kind. He has a good bedside manner. I just wish we went over more options to help me. He pushed donor egg more than once and I told him the reason I was there was so I would not have to use donor egg. He was not available at every visit and he did not do any of my egg retrieval’s. With the amount of money I paid, I feel I could have gotten the same treatment in my home town.
She [nurse at CCRM Colorado] spoke to us as if we knew all about IVF. She did not explain things very well and my husband and I often felt lost after her half explanations. We also had a gap of 4 months before we started treatment and she never mentioned to start coq10 or vitamin d or folate while I waited. She was not very helpful or compassionate and I don’t recommend her at all.
How was your experience with William Schoolcraft at CCRM Colorado?
He is compassionate and kind. He has a good bedside manner. I just wish we went over more options to help me. He pushed donor egg more than once and I told him the reason I was there was so I would not have to use donor egg. He was not available at every visit and he did not do any of my egg retrieval’s. With the amount of money I paid, I feel I could have gotten the same treatment in my home town.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Schoolcraft at CCRM Colorado?
You will not be seeing him often or have him retrieve your eggs. You can save a lot of money be going to a clinic near you because the treatment he will offer is nothing spectacular or special to Ccrm.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Schoolcraft at CCRM Colorado?
He has a very kind and compassionate bedside manner but he was not available at every visit. He was also not involved in my egg retrieval’s. I spoke more to his nurse and I was not at all happy with the care I got from his nurse.
Describe the protocols William Schoolcraft used in your cycles at CCRM Colorado and their degree of success.
He did mini ivf and then regular ivf with injections. It didn’t work. I recently heard about growth hormone which is supposed to work very well for women with low amh and poor egg quality, which is my situation but that was never offered to me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Michele)
She spoke to us as if we knew all about IVF. She did not explain things very well and my husband and I often felt lost after her half explanations. We also had a gap of 4 months before we started treatment and she never mentioned to start coq10 or vitamin d or folate while I waited. She was not very helpful or compassionate and I don’t recommend her at all.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
I have heard alot about the CCRM lab and that they were the best lab in the country. This is one of the reasons why I went there. And why I was told their prices was worth it. Well unfortunately, I had no results on my embryo. They did not get a good enough sample to send. Now, I have to go through the stress and anxiety of implanting an embryo I have no idea is normal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Schoolcraft at CCRM Colorado.
If I remember correctly it was about 18-22 thousand a cycle. Depends on whether I was getting PGS testing.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
It would have been ideal to have gotten information from the nurse about what could help improve ivf outcomes. Any little information is very welcome especially to couples that are desperate to conceive. So many have told me acupuncture and certain vitamins can help. I had a gap of 4 months before starting treatment. Had I started on these vitamins and acupuncture it may have helped the results. It may also not have helped at all but at least I wouldn’t be thinking “what if “ or I wish I tried that.
Lone Tree

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sara Barton at CCRM Colorado.

Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Barton is overall kind and direct. She seemed to remember me and my case fine. She expressed her condolences for our difficult year of recurrent early miscarriages...is a very smart doctor. She was not the right doctor for us as we do not want information shared in an overly blunt manner. Infertility is hard enough. We left multiple appointments confused and feeling very hopeless. As a couple in our late 20s with unexplained infertility, there should be a lot of room for hope and varying options of treatment.
CCRM is a gigantic practice. People come from all over the country to visit it... I'm glad we left as we were able to find a great practice that is a bit smaller and more personal...CCRM was not the right fit for us. It's the most expensive option and there are just so many patients that you can feel lost in the shuffle...Once you select a doctor at CCRM, you cannot change...I really loved how I was always able to talk with a nurse when I called, even if mine was unavailable. The nurses were all very kind and helpful. It was clear they could look up my case and talk through it on the phone which was very helpful. I was able to email or call.
How was your experience with Sara Barton at CCRM Colorado?
Dr. Barton is a very smart doctor. She was not the right doctor for us as we do not want information shared in an overly blunt manner. Infertility is hard enough. We left multiple appointments confused and feeling very hopeless. As a couple in our late 20s with unexplained infertility, there should be a lot of room for hope and varying options of treatment.
I wish I would have looked up more reviews before having Dr. Barton as my doctor. Once you select a doctor at CCRM, you cannot change. As other reviews state, Dr. Barton is incredibly direct. I selected a female doctor as I felt they would be able to relate more but I was left wishing for more bedside manner. Some patients may view her directness as an asset and prefer it but it was not the right fit for us.
Dr. Barton did a full workup of tests. I was put on Progesterone Supplements following positive OPK.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
CCRM is a gigantic practice. People come from all over the country to visit it. However, there are other great practices in Colorado that people from all over the country also come to. They are an IVF machine and have great success rates. I'm glad we left as we were able to find a great practice that is a bit smaller and more personal.
Our general testing was about $1500 in blood work. Each ultrasound was $300. My first visit with Dr. Barton was $250 and my re-group was included in our package.
Denver

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Eric Surrey at CCRM Colorado.

Treated 2017 - 2018
The Lone Tree office [CCRM Colorado] is so over-the-top fancy...I couldn't help but think of all that I was paying for that fancy waterfall behind the concierge desk that reminded us all of sperm flowing. I didn't see the doctor except for when I was paying specifically for a consultation... I felt like they were trying to make money off of me. They were reticent to bill anything to insurance, and often told me that things "probably wouldn't be covered" and then told me I'd get a lower rate if I paid out of pocket, but if they billed insurance and they denied it I would have to pay exorbitant amounts.
How was your experience with Eric Surrey at CCRM Colorado?
I think Dr. Surrey would be great for someone doing IVF who wanted the standard or an aggressive protocol, and who didn't want to delve deeper into underlying issues. I had issues with my cycle that I thought were indicative of why conceiving would be difficult -- luteal phase spotting, and he literally told me I should take birth control if I didn't like the spotting, and told me I should just do IVF before it was too late (I'd been diagnosed with DOR). I was not interested in going to IVF without understanding the underlying issues with my body. Later, they found I had a unicornuate uterus, and I agreed that IVF was the best option but said I could try a few cycles of IUI with my local doctor if I wanted. He would not give me clomid/letrozole with a UU due to risk of multiples. He said the only medication he would give me was luteal phase progesterone. We don't have sperm issues, so I didn't want to do IUI, but asked him to prescribe me progesterone for natural cycles. I got pregnant immediately. He called me to say congratulations, but I then never heard from him again. I miscarried at 9 weeks. I've since switched to a different RE.
Make sure IVF is actually what you want to do if you go to him. He will not try less invasive / less aggressive approaches first. I had the feeling from the whole experience that CCRM was trying to make money off of me.
The Lone Tree office is so over-the-top fancy...I couldn't help but think of all that I was paying for that fancy waterfall behind the concierge desk that reminded us all of sperm flowing. I didn't see the doctor except for when I was paying specifically for a consultation, and when my diagnostics revealed a uterine anomaly and I asked to speak with someone about it (I was in shock and had no idea what it meant for my future fertility), the nurse didn't know who I was and hadn't reviewed my chart before talking with me, and didn't tell me anything useful. That said, the techs running the ultrasound and the HSG were extremely nice, comforting, and skilled.
He would not prescribe any medications (clomid/letrozole) due to my uterine anomaly (unicornuate uterus) and said the only option was IVF. I asked him to prescribe me progesterone during the luteal phase (my idea, not his) and he agreed. I then got pregnant spontaneously.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Taylor)
She always seemed extremely busy, and most of the time it was not her responding to my questions. It was impossible to get anyone on the phone, but they did answer messages in the portal within 24 hours.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
I felt like they were trying to make money off of me. They were reticent to bill anything to insurance, and often told me that things "probably wouldn't be covered" and then told me I'd get a lower rate if I paid out of pocket, but if they billed insurance and they denied it I would have to pay exorbitant amounts. AWFUL. This is a TERRIBLE way to treat patients -- scare them into paying out of pocket. Really, really terrible. They also messed up payment on the few things they did send to insurance and made me pay too much upfront anyway.
Initial consult -- $300 "regroup" consult -- $100 Day 3 bloodwork -- $500 Baseline ultrasound -- $500 HSG -- $600

Treated 2017 - 2018
He [Dr. William Schoolcraft] had no strategy and even though I begged him to try another way before IVF he wouldn't. He also made me retake numerous exams that I already had which cost us a ridiculous amount of money to be told the same thing. I resulted in no pregnancies and left his clinic because he wasn't open to listening to my wishes...He had to keep looking at my chart and asking his nurses for my name. He didn't care to ask about my journey or where I wanted to go as far as treatment. He immediately jumped into IVF is the only way and I don't think it's worth taking time to try Letrozole or anything else if Clomid didn't work. He had horrific bedside manner and spoke about the cost and about percentages I might have. Rarely looked me in the eyes while speaking.
There's no love or support or good vibes in this clinic [CCRM Colorado]. It's very cold and lifeless which when you're trying to bring new life into the world it should be like this...The nursing staff was rushed as well. There were w few who were nice but over all it was as if you had a number on your face and they look right through you...I had to call the clinic several times to get results back. Also a nurse gave us results out in a hallway in front of other staff and patients.
How was your experience with William Schoolcraft at CCRM Colorado?
From the moment I sat down in his office he was rushed. He walked in and "sized me up." Took barely 10 minutes to tell me that he only thought I had once chance. He is extremely cold and has no warm bedside manners. He didn't even think to check out my husband and made me feel as if our difficulty conceiving was entirely my fault, come to find out later by another doctor my husband has male factors as well. While he may have "paved the way" with his flagship office in Colorado and done wonders with Stars he's not a doctor for the people.
Don't waste your time unless you have tons of money because that's all he really cares about.
He had no strategy and even though I begged him to try another way before IVF he wouldn't. He also made me retake numerous exams that I already had which cost us a ridiculous amount of money to be told the same thing. I resulted in no pregnancies and left his clinic because he wasn't open to listening to my wishes.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
There's no love or support or good vibes in this clinic. It's very cold and lifeless which when you're trying to bring new life into the world it should be like this. They have multiple locations around the nation and have doctors there who are very interested in helping same-sex couples but most don't speak about heterosexual couples that they help. In fact most of their bios state their favorite couples to assist.
Seeing as they insisted that they redo multiple test the cost is astronomical. I wasted so much on them I regret it and has made things more stressful because of it
Describe William Schoolcraft's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Colorado.

Treated 2017 - 2018
I met with [Dr. Barton] during our initial visit. During the remaining 10 months or so I worked with the clinic testing and doing labs, adjusting medications, I never saw or heard from Dr. Barton...She seemed knowledgable and listened to and addressed all of my concerns during the initial meeting. As the works up and labs progressed, when it became clear that I needed medications for a sub clinical thyroid, I never received calls from Dr. Baron, only ever the nurses.
I check my EOB from the insurance, and at one point it shows communicable disease labs, which were never ordered by Dr. Barton [at CCRM Colorado], and never performed, but my insurance was charged and paid 100% of the $500 labs. I really lost confidence after speaking with the director of patient services who was unable to resolve the issues. Ultimately, my insurance had to open up an investigation. I don't know where it landed, and it may have been a series of administrative mistakes, but it felt like an undue burden given the challenges of undergoing fertility treatments.
How was your experience with Sara Barton at CCRM Colorado?
I only met with Dr. Barton during our initial consultation. She seemed knowledgable and listened to and addressed all of my concerns during the initial meeting. As the works up and labs progressed, when it became clear that I needed medications for a sub clinical thyroid, I never received calls from Dr. Baron, only ever the nurses.
I would advise a patient to have a clear understanding of the treatment plan from Dr. Barton at the initial meeting, and also understand what plan B might look like.
I met with Dr. Baron during our initial visit. During the remaining 10 months or so I worked with the clinic testing and doing labs, adjusting medications, I never saw or heard from Dr. Barton.
Dr. Baron adjusted a thyroid medication a few times, and the brand, but I never spoke directly with her about it, only ever to the nurses. I never heard about next steps or the timeline.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Bridgette)
Bridgette was helpful, able to answer my question, and always called back within a day or so, or had another nurse call me back to answer my questions. I was discouraged that she never reached out when we stopped seeking treatment at CCRM, and surprised they never called to follow up on my next lab. Overall, Bridgette was a good and knowledgable nurse.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
The clinic is very spa like, and has a primary care coordinator assigned to you, so you initially feel like special and cared for. The weaknesses for me, were less about the patient care and more about administrative and billing practices. I had a lot of difficulty and frustration with the Billing Coordinator and was ultimately forced to change clinics because the damage had been done. My insurance company filed an investigation into their billing practices because we both were paying the charges at 100%.
I don't remember, and had so much back and forth with my insurance and their billing coordinator, I am not really sure what the costs were. My advice would be to keep a close eye on your EOBs.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
I was repeatedly charged different amounts for the same labs--for instance my TSH lab was $15 one time, and the very next time $70. I check my EOB from the insurance, and at one point it shows communicable disease labs, which were never ordered by Dr. Barton, and never performed, but my insurance was charged and paid 100% of the $500 labs. I really lost confidence after speaking with the director of patient services who was unable to resolve the issues. Ultimately, my insurance had to open up an investigation. I don't know where it landed, and it may have been a series of administrative mistakes, but it felt like an undue burden given the challenges of undergoing fertility treatments.
Denver

During our consultation, he rushed through a formulaic explanation of the severity of my condition while I openly cried because I was receiving difficult information for the first time. He didn't pause to let me gain my composure. I had to find tissues myself to wipe off my face....Dr. Gustofson was direct and thorough in his explanations, but came off as quite callous. I believe his assessment erred on the reasonably conservative side of what options were possible for me, and his recommended treatment was equally thorough and aggressive.
Scheduling was problematic. When I showed up for my appointment, I was not on the doctor's schedule despite all my confirmations. They [CCRM Colorado] squeezed me in between other appointments. But this made my appointment feel rushed and my doctor seemed stressed. The billing office was initially very responsive but never gave me detailed information on IVF billing as promised.... A nurse walked us through possible next steps after our consultation but did not follow up with us about questions as promised.
How was your experience with Robert Gustofson at CCRM Colorado?
Dr. Gustofson was direct and thorough in his explanations, but came off as quite callous. I believe his assessment erred on the reasonably conservative side of what options were possible for me, and his recommended treatment was equally thorough and aggressive. I found his manner to be very dismissive and unkind, as did my partner. Because of this, and a move to a new state, we decided to work with another doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Gustofson at CCRM Colorado?
Dr. Gustofson seems competent and thorough. I would expect aggressive fertility treatments, and I would not expect a gentle bedside manner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Gustofson at CCRM Colorado?
Describe the protocols Robert Gustofson used in your cycles at CCRM Colorado and their degree of success.
We only received a consultation from Dr. Gustofson. He recommended IVF with PGS and genetic screening for Fragile X because I have diminished ovarian reserve.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
Scheduling was problematic. When I showed up for my appointment, I was not on the doctor's schedule despite all my confirmations. They squeezed me in between other appointments. But this made my appointment feel rushed and my doctor seemed stressed. The billing office was initially very responsive but never gave me detailed information on IVF billing as promised.
Describe Robert Gustofson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Colorado.
Dr. Gustofson explained the benefits and risks of single and multiple embryo transfer. I did not get the impression he would push us in either direction had we chosen to move forward with him.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
As mentioned, my appointment couldn't be found and the office didn't call with follow-up clinical and billing information as promised.
Louisville

I only saw Dr. Surrey two times for maybe 10 minutes each time. He acted like he knew exactly how to fix us (wife 29) self (31) and that if we spent extra money on their "special" process then we would have different results and make embryos. Dr. Surrey is very good on up-selling and pretending to have all the answers. Once he gets you locked into a contract, you're just treated like a number on a page. I feel as if they just use the exact same procedure for every patient and do the least about of work as possible because they have a formula and it works for 60% of the people.
One cycle [at CCRM Colorado] was $24,000 plus medications, hotel stay, and travel...They are against multiple embryo transfer and make you go to a class where they can tell you the reasons they are against it...The weaknesses would be how you are treated just like another number. The whole facility has a very structured system that is designed to treat the masses. There is no personalized care and after you have paid and are no longer a patient, they wont give you the time of day. I personally have been trying to get my screening/blood work sent over to my other doctor for my upcoming donor cycle.
How was your experience with Eric Surrey at CCRM Colorado?
Do not expect good communication. You will see him once or twice and everything will be handled by a nurse assisting him.
CCRM is operates like a money making machine. Even if you have had 2 other IVF cycles, they treat you as if you know absolutely nothing. When you check in, you wait and then jump on the assembly line. Everyone acts like a robot that works there. They get you in and out as fast as they can so they can get through more people.
I do not remember the details but they were similar to a cycle that failed previously at a different smaller clinic
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Andria )
Once again, they all act like robots. They do and say the same thing every single ultrasound and its extremely rare to get the same tech doing the ultrasound. There is zero personalized care at this facility.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
CCRM is the leading infertility research facility in the country and has lead to thousands of couples having live births. The weaknesses would be how you are treated just like another number. The whole facility has a very structured system that is designed to treat the masses. There is no personalized care and after you have paid and are no longer a patient, they wont give you the time of day. I personally have been trying to get my screening/blood work sent over to my other doctor for my upcoming donor cycle. I have called and emailed and messaged them with the same response "we sent that xxxx date". every time I have replied that no I have not received it and it just gets passed off to another person that says.... "oh we sent that xxxx date". I really shouldn't expect anything else from this place because you are just passed off to different nurses every single appointment. Its crazy to think that you spend $24000 for one cycle and this is how you are treated. If I could do it all over again, I would have paid for the 3 cycle plan they offer but this was our last home that the best fertility place in the country could help make us embryos. Unfortunately even if you are under 30 and perfectly healthy sometimes things just dont work out...............
One cycle was $24,000 plus medications, hotel stay, and travel.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
Over the course of a month, CCRM has still not sent over my records for an up coming egg donor cycle.
Treated 2017 - 2018
I really do like Dr Surrey as he has a great bedside manner and answered many questions- however, the clinic itself is very impersonal.... He spent a fair amount of time with us in the regroup- He is very personable and tries to answer your questions.... One thing that was disappointing was we had asked if he could write down what we discussed in our regroup and he said he would not be able to do that. It was complicated information and I was not trusting my memory. I guess be prepared to take notes before you leave the office
From what I hear the clinic [CCRM] has an amazing lab, which is a good reason to go here. The clinic is comfortable and large and seems like they have very good equipment. However, it is impersonable and it feels very disorganized to me...When comparing to other clinics, it is significantly more expensive.... The nurses are great in person and I felt were compassionate. However, there were already a few mixups and we are at the initial stages.
How was your experience with Eric Surrey at CCRM Colorado?
I have only had two appointments with him as I'm in the early stages. I just completed the pre-work up. He spent a fair amount of time with us in the regroup- He is very personable and tries to answer your questions.
I really do like Dr Surrey as he has a great bedside manner and answered many questions- however, the clinic itself is very impersonal. I am in the beginning stages and have just completed all of my pre-work up- so we'll see how the rest goes
Because I am 45, and have low egg reserve , this doctor wanted me to have three retrievals. This put the cost up exponentially, almost doubling the initial estimate. The rationale is that they can fertilize all the exit once and then see what we have. However, I did get a second opinion from another clinic and they only wanted to do one egg retrieval at a time. I definitely left feeling confused after visiting both doctors and clinics
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at CCRM Colorado.
The nurses are great in person and I felt were compassionate. However, there were already a few mixups and we are at the initial stages. This makes me concerned. Furthermore, the communication is less than desirable, as they can be Hard to reach.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
From what I hear the clinic has an amazing lab, which is a good reason to go here. The clinic is comfortable and large and seems like they have very good equipment. However, it is impersonable and it feels very disorganized to me . One time I sat in the wrong place waiting for my procedure- and sat for a very long time. When I asked if I should be there, I was told yes I was in the right place. Then after 45 minutes, I checked in again and was told I was in the wrong spot. A similar thing happened another Time as well. It feels like they have no idea who is sitting in there waiting room. I was also talk to Rudely when I was told I had to do a procedure I was not expecting I needed to pay $700 that day. I asked if I could speak to a nurse or someone that can explain to me what this procedure was and was told that a nurse was unavailable, and if I were to speak to a doctor today, I would have to pay a fee to talk to them. It was very frustrating. I finally got a hold of a nurse after asking a million questions to the front desk person as to why I had to do this procedure. In the end, I did not have to do the procedure at all .
This is the most expensive clinic in the state. When comparing to other clinics, it is significantly more expensive. Also, my treatment plan that was laid out for me and it up doubling my cost. Another provider had a different treatment plan that was much more inexpensive
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
Another issue I incurred was that I was told I was all done with all of my testing. I was waiting for the steps and called the clinic to see what was to happen next. I was then told I had several more test to do because I was 45. I was 45 when I walked in the door three months earlier. I felt very frustrated as I could have schedule those appointments while waiting for the next steps.
Treated 2016 - 2017
I'm not sure what his [Dr. William Schoolcraft] strengths are as we're currently in treatment, weakness is probably compassion/lack of emotion. I don't need emotion but I know some people do. He also isn't a big talker and people need to bring questions to him to get answers...I asked Dr schoolcraft why he chose my protocol and he said "bc it will give you your best chance of success." While that's an obvious reason to choose a protocol, I'd like to know WHY he's chosen this particular one and what they expect the results or process to be.
My nurse [at CCRM - Denver]suddenly had a family emergency for a week while I was waiting for HSG results and my IVF protocol and calendar. I was disappointed another nurse did not step in as we were in a time crunch...My nurse has been the main reason I feel like a number, every time I speak to her in person or over the phone, she asks me to remind her of our situation...Their strengths are being organized, usually getting early to an appointment means I'm in and out earlier than expected. Everyone's helpful and the facility is clean
How was your experience with William Schoolcraft at CCRM Colorado?
I'm not sure what his strengths are as we're currently in treatment, weakness is probably compassion/lack of emotion. I don't need emotion but I know some people do. He also isn't a big talker and people need to bring questions to him to get answers.
Ask any and all questions, be prepared, do research to be able to have questions.
I had my diagnosis of endometriosis prior to coming to CcRM. We tried 3 IUI's, all failed, and every time I ovulated too quickly. They didn't seem to try anything outside of their typical protocol and my 3rd iui was canceled due to missing ovulation. Now that we're moving on to IVF, I asked Dr schoolcraft why he chose my protocol and he said "bc it will give you your best chance of success." While that's an obvious reason to choose a protocol, I'd like to know WHY he's chosen this particular one and what they expect the results or process to be. My nurse has been the main reason I feel like a number, every time I speak to her in person or over the phone, she asks me to remind her of our situation. Once, she told me 10 minutes of someone else's health issues before I realized she wasn't talking about me. We're local to CCRM and I've heard they're great so I'm trying to look past all of this.
1 iui with clomid and ovudril, switched to letrozole no trigger for last 2 IUI's. Clomid increased my cramping due to 4 follicles growing, letrozole gave me 1 follicle each time but sped up ovulation. Just received IVF protocol, priming with Doxycycline, cetrotide, estrogen patches. Stimming with cetrotide, gonal-f, menopur, and triggering with pregnyl and Lupron. No reasons were really given for any of them other than they should be successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Chase)
Staff is great but my nurse has been difficult to work with. She's unorganized, usually uninformed and somewhat checked out. I've met other great nurses but haven't asked to be switched since I don't want to ruffle any feathers.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
I have no complaints. Their strengths are being organized, usually getting early to an appointment means I'm in and out earlier than expected. Everyone's helpful and the facility is clean.
So far we've spent about 15,000 in IUI's and testing. IVF with icsi will be 34,000.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
My nurse suddenly had a family emergency for a week while I was waiting for HSG results and my IVF protocol and calendar. I was disappointed another nurse did not step in as we were in a time crunch.
Treated 2017
Dr. Schoolcraft is very practical and matter of fact. He does not sugar coat things. You need to ask questions otherwise the conversation will be brief. The scenario he expected for us was far different than the outcome we received....Don't expect him to be God. He is top in his field but that doesn't mean it works for everyone....CCRM has very set protocols. They fit you into a box and apply that protocol to you. They don't adjust the protocol to fit the needs of the patient.
The clinic is like a factory. Supposedly there lab is top notch but it didn't work in our favor. You need to stay on top of the business office and your paperwork. They chaMy primary nurse was amazing. That said when I was in Denver I only saw her twice as she wasn't working the other days I was there. I saw quite a few of the other nurses. They were all ok. Some were very practical others more compassionate. There were some issues dealing with all the paperwork and the business office.
How was your experience with William Schoolcraft at CCRM Colorado?
CCRM has 6 protocols, the 6th being the strongest, which I was on. Clomid and dexamethone at night. 2 vials menopur in the morning, 300 Follistim at night. Cetrotide when my LH reached 25. Trigger with pregnyl and two doses of lupron.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Cindy Pick)
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
The clinic is like a factory. Supposedly there lab is top notch but it didn't work in our favor. You need to stay on top of the business office and your paperwork. They changed their practices regarding paperwork 3 times when we were there and we kept having to resign the same forms.
It was about 35k total. About 25k for IVF, $6500 for meds and $3300 for one day work up.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
They didn't call us until 5pm on the night we needed to trigger to tell us that we needed to trigger. The nurse that morning didn't think we were going to trigger that night so sent us to the pharmacy to pick up more meds. I also wasn't monitored daily and my LH rose in 2 days. They should have had me start cetrotide earlier.
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Gustofson provided the reality of my chances, but did so in a friendly and professional manner. It was fairly blunt and stark in a way, but mainly because he was sharing less-than-promising chances based on test results. His manner of speaking was appropriately kind. I definitely got the impression Dr. G (and CCRM) believe in the school of thought of being up front with the worst-case scenario, versus being overly encouraging.
The business office [at CCRM] is TERRIBLE - they didn't even respond to some of my messages. Yet when my payment was due to them they hounded me repeatedly. When the way they run payments triggered holds from my bank, they insisted I keep calling back (three calls each to the bank and then CCRM) immediately when I was due in a meeting or else they'd cancel my cycle. They also do not make clear up front that as a long distance patient you're still paying full price for the cycle including all monitoring appointments at CCRM even though you're not doing them there because you have to have a local clinic perform those tasks (and pay f
How was your experience with Robert Gustofson at CCRM Colorado?
Consider being a patient at his other office in northwest Denver, versus Lone Tree where you feel like a number.
Dr. Gustofson had a good bedside manner, but CCRM is a pretty heartless machine where you feel nearly every interaction is impersonal except for with the actual doctor(s).
We spent a month "priming" with a lot of supplements geared towards my likelihood of being a "poor responder." Toward the end I had three days of Ganirelix. Then when I got my period, we started the stim cycle with the various oral and injected medications, leading to retrieval. I had five egg sacs but only two matured - they were both large enough for retrieval and the others weren't. Of the two retrieved, only one matured enough for fertilization, and it didn't fertilize.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
Nicole was generally supportive but always sounds in a rush because she's such a fast/perky talker. At times when other nurses called they were super short and one even got huffy with me when I needed her to repeat something because it was so much information. So much is provided in a binder or on the web for an out-of-town patient and you're generally left to call with questions instead of being walked through things - with the exception of dosages, which the nurses are proactive about providing.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
CCRM's reputation for success is high, but you definitely feel the impersonality inherent there. The doctors themselves are probably the high point but with a few exceptions I was disappointed in the vibe/process. One important note - you basically cannot reach a human being by phone when you call (you reach a phone tree) unless you would lie and state you're a medical provider, or if you had an emergency. I did neither of those so I was constantly leaving messages and the having to take calls at inconvenient times (whenever CCRM got back to me). Also it is SO expensive compared to other clinics, and CCRM doesn't provide the same level of assisting with discount programs as did other clinics I've worked with. The business office is TERRIBLE - they didn't even respond to some of my messages. Yet when my payment was due to them they hounded me repeatedly. When the way they run payments triggered holds from my bank, they insisted I keep calling back (three calls each to the bank and then CCRM) immediately when I was due in a meeting or else they'd cancel my cycle. They also do not make clear up front that as a long distance patient you're still paying full price for the cycle including all monitoring appointments at CCRM even though you're not doing them there because you have to have a local clinic perform those tasks (and pay for them separately). I also am due a refund from my cycle since we didn't have any embryos to test for genetic abnormalities and I have not heard from them. I have not yet followed up but am frankly expecting them to fight to keep our money due to some fine print I might have missed based on my experience to date.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Gustofson at CCRM Colorado.
$25k plus $8k for medication
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
At times the nurses who would call or email with responses to my questions referring to medications I was not taking, which concerned me. I also had periods of frustration where I did not have full information. For example, I had a cyst that needed to be drained, and I never got an explanation as to why we had to wait until the last minute before stim started. It turned out to be necessary on a Sunday and caused a lot of stress, and it was made worse than necessary by the fact that I thought "why on earth didn't we schedule this when the cyst was originally noted versus waiting until the last minute on a weekend or my stim cycle calendar would have to be shifted?" As it turned out, AFTER the fact, Nicole explained that if it had been drained earlier, it could have re-grown or another one appeared and any cysts have to be drained right before stim begins. I wish someone had explained this earlier. This is just one example of undue stress I felt came from a lack of communication or unclear communication. On the other hand there is so much information to convey, and I was long-distance - perhaps it is different if you're local.
Treated 2016 - 2017
I rarely spoke to my doctor. She seemed uninterested in trying anything with me other than the repeated suggestion I move to IVF, which I could not afford at the tome...I felt Dr Kondapali was not genuine. Her enthusiasm seemed false...When pressed to try things out of the standard protocol, she was completely unwilling...She refused to treat me for more than six IUI cycles. I found another doctor, with 10 years more experien
Billing at CCRM is a veritable nightmare. Phone calls are rarely returned without persistence, the same holds true for email. I also had a nurse to be able to call a prescription in timely to my mail order clinic, but we resolved it without me missing my cycle thankfully. The phone systems were down over the holidays in 2016, at a critical day and my cycle.... think CCRN fantastic lab, and several high-quality doctors. The greatest frustration point I have with them is cost,
How was your experience with Laxmi Kondapalli at CCRM Colorado?
I felt Dr Kondapali was not genuine. Her enthusiasm seemed false, like that of a cheerleader in a movie. When pressed to try things out of the standard protocol, she was completely unwilling. Her only suggestion was that I moved to IVF. She refused to treat me for more than six IUI cycles. I found another doctor, with 10 years more experience than her who was willing to give it at least a year, given the fact that he had had women my age become pregnant. I believe Dr Kondapali was more concerned with her statistics and bringing in the IVF Revenue than actually helping me have a baby within the limits I was faced with the financially and age wise.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laxmi Kondapalli at CCRM Colorado?
Do not go looking to her for compassion. Also, make sure you’re well educated on the process because the nurses are not always equal in their knowledge. I would highly recommend Dr. Schoolcraft, because Ellie, his nurse is extremely knowledgeable, and serves as an excellent substitute when he’s not directly available for questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laxmi Kondapalli at CCRM Colorado?
Describe the protocols Laxmi Kondapalli used in your cycles at CCRM Colorado and their degree of success.
Dr Kondapali let me do one natural cycle at my request. The second cycle, we tried a relatively low dose of Clomid 50mg and one or two Menopur injections for boosting. After that, we moved to Femara 10mg ( I reported side effects from Clomid) plus Menopur 150. When that didn’t work, I believe we increased to 300. That was for two additional cycles. After that, I switched clinics when she broke the news to me that she would only do six medicated cycles with me and that no one else in the practice would touch me either for more than that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Can’t remember name)
The nurses often had to go back to the doctor to get answers to questions. This was a different experience to the one I’m having now with Dr. Schoolcraft Nurse Ellie who is able to answer almost all of my questions. Whenever I would get upset, because a cycle failed or just the Billing stress got to me, I would shed tears. Twice the nurses suggested I “speak to the psychologist”, which of course, comes with a hefty fee of over $200 I believe.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
I think CCRN fantastic lab, and several high-quality doctors. The greatest frustration point I have with them is cost, followed by the fact that you cannot switch doctors if you’re unhappy. I think that’s ludicrous. They made a one time exception for me because I came back for a different procedure – IVF, and told them I wasn’t coming unless I could have a doctor other than Kondapali. They gave me Dr. Schoolcraft as I requested.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laxmi Kondapalli at CCRM Colorado.
Since this was covered under insurance, it’s hard to estimate what my out-of-pocket actually was, because they are still processing claims that are over a year old! The billing process was terrible. The cost of my IVF procedure I estimate at about $40,000 including additional diagnostics and medication above the cost of the procedure.
Describe Laxmi Kondapalli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Colorado.
I am at the beginning stages of IVF so I cannot answer this as of yet
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
Billing at CCRM is a veritable nightmare. Phone calls are rarely returned without persistence, the same holds true for email. I also had a nurse to be able to call a prescription in timely to my mail order clinic, but we resolved it without me missing my cycle thankfully. The phone systems were down over the holidays in 2016, at a critical day and my cycle. I was only able to get answers by guessing at Dr. Schoolcraft email address and letting him know of the phone issue and that I needed a nurse. I had my initial appointment for consultation booked on the wrong day. Then, had a receptionist to be extremely rude to me about changing the appointment, when it truly wasn’t a change.
Laxmi Kondapalli

Treated 2017
I only spoke with Dr. Surrey 3 times. Once at our first appointment, once at a follow up, after the 4 failed IUIs, and once during a hysteroscopy... When we met with Dr. Surrey, he was polite and informative. He didn't go over a ton of detail, but answered questions when they had them. I would say, I wish he would have given me more information up front about a lot of things.
Overall, I felt like a number to this clinic [CCRM]. I literally went there every week for 6 months and the same 3 people at the front desk did not know who I was. I didn't think they were compassionate towards people struggling with infertility. Also, there was one time that the phlebotomist tried to talk to me about my insurance and got my hopes up for something, but the front desk agreed with me that the phlebotomist was wrong. It was really hard to get my hopes up that there would be some coverage, and then have them torn away.
How was your experience with Eric Surrey at CCRM Colorado?
Make sure to do your research and come with questions, especially if you like to be told as much information as possible.
I only spoke with Dr. Surrey 3 times. Once at our first appointment, once at a follow up, after the 4 failed IUIs, and once during a hysteroscopy. I did not feel like he saw me as a number, it was more the overall of the office. They didn't even know my name and I had been there at least once a week for 6 months...
We did 1 IUI with 50 mg of clomid, 1 with 100mg of clomid, and 2 with 75mg of letrozole. We switched to letrozole when my lining thinned out from the clomid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Colleen)
Colleen was informative, and gave information when asked. For the most part, she brushed over things and said "This is how we do things". I did like Colleen, but don't know that she really listened and understood me.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
Overall, I felt like a number to this clinic. I literally went there every week for 6 months and the same 3 people at the front desk did not know who I was. I didn't think they were compassionate towards people struggling with infertility. Also, there was one time that the phlebotomist tried to talk to me about my insurance and got my hopes up for something, but the front desk agreed with me that the phlebotomist was wrong. It was really hard to get my hopes up that there would be some coverage, and then have them torn away.
Each IUI was about $1400 including all meds, since we were 100% out of pocket. The testing on the One Day Workup got kicked back with my deductible, so we are still receiving random bills... I haven't been back to them since December.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
There were some challenging times with communication. My Nurse was out and the nurse who was taking over for her, had different information. This made it a challenge.

Treated 2017
He [Dr. Gustofson] was nice enough during testing but once my numbers revealed I wouldn't be a good candidate for IVF (and I was not inclined to use a Donor Egg ) he grew cold and no longer returned emails. He was compassionate when he revealed I had poor egg health but then immediately launched into Donor Egg and adoption without even giving the option of IVF, even if we knew it would be "throwing away" our money.
Lots of patients, nice facilities, good locations. BUT they [CCRM] are all about keeping their success numbers high and making MONEY. If you don't fit their treatment profile or can't afford the procedures you can forget any help or compassion from the staff. Also, would not file claims with insurance--sent forms to me and made me do it. All other clinics I've been to at least did the filing with insurance, even if insurance declined to pay for some treatments.
How was your experience with Robert Gustofson at CCRM Colorado?
He was nice enough during testing but once my numbers revealed I wouldn't be a good candidate for IVF (and I was not inclined to use a Donor Egg ) he grew cold and no longer returned emails. He was compassionate when he revealed I had poor egg health but then immediately launched into Donor Egg and adoption without even giving the option of IVF, even if we knew it would be "throwing away" our money.
I assume he's great if you fit his profile for a successful IVF; otherwise, you will get no help from him. Look for someone else who is actually willing to treat you, regardless of whether it is good for THEIR numbers.
They only seemed interested in me if I fit their profile for successful IVF and could pay their outrageous fees. They were not very forthcoming with info--I had to ask multiple times to have test results sent--and did not always respond to emails.
After being told IVF was not an option due to poor egg health, they then said I could do IUI if I wanted to pay. If my numbers aren't good enough for IVF, why would they be ok for IUI?! (Because they don't have to report IUI numbers to the CDC and are more than happy to take your money if there is no risk to their reputation.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado.
Incredibly bossy and not very forthcoming with information. I had to ask for copies of test results several times and double check that correct ones were sent.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
Lots of patients, nice facilities, good locations. BUT they are all about keeping their success numbers high and making MONEY. If you don't fit their treatment profile or can't afford the procedures you can forget any help or compassion from the staff. Also, would not file claims with insurance--sent forms to me and made me do it. All other clinics I've been to at least did the filing with insurance, even if insurance declined to pay for some treatments.
Treated 2016 - 2017
I only spoke to him [Dr. Schoolcraft] one time at the initial workup. He had read my chart and was familiar with my case. He was confident (turns out overly) that he could help. I had lots of questions about med levels and he was totally dismissive of mini stim and immuno protocol.... He put me on the highest dose of everything which i think is his general approach to all stims. I was on 150 meno, 375 follistim, 100 clomid, a steroid i can’t remember which though, and ganirelix. It was by a long shot the heaviest dose of stims i did and it produced the worst results of all 7 stim cycles i did.
I do not recommend this clinic [CCRM] to anyone over the age of 35. I do think that if you had one failed cycle in a possibly smaller local clinic and you want to try one of the big guns in the country it could be worth it. They did not take my insurance and it was by far the most expensive cycle I did.... There is a corporate feel to the clinic and absolutely no flexibility in terms of individual plans. The vast, vast majority of people are doing the exact same protocol regardless of individuality because the prevailing methodology is more drugs equals better results
How was your experience with William Schoolcraft at CCRM Colorado?
I only spoke to him one time at the initial workup. He had read my chart and was familiar with my case. He was confident (turns out overly) that he could help. I had lots of questions about med levels and he was totally dismissive of mini stim and immuno protocol. The rest of the time I dealt with his nurse, Sarah, who was efficient and nice. I had very little conversation with schoolcraft until after the cycle ultimately failed and we had a follow up call.
Don’t be intimidated by his reputation. Don’t be overly emotional or expect him to dry your tears. Come in with your questions prepared and dont ask for any immuno protocol.
I knew ahead of time that his bedside manner is considered brusque. I found him straightforward and direct. he happened to be quite wrong in what he told me he thought would be my outcome which pissed me off after the fact, but he spoke to me as a person.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Sarah was super organized and dealt with all the details efficiently.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
I do not recommend this clinic to anyone over the age of 35. I do think that if you had one failed cycle in a possibly smaller local clinic and you want to try one of the big guns in the country it could be worth it. They did not take my insurance and it was by far the most expensive cycle I did. They have totally jumped the shark in terms of believing their own publicity and are completely rigid in terms of how they approach the medicine of reproduction. There is a corporate feel to the clinic and absolutely no flexibility in terms of individual plans. The vast, vast majority of people are doing the exact same protocol regardless of individuality because the prevailing methodology is more drugs equals better results. You must do pgs testing. they will not even consider day 3 freeze. They will not ever do a fresh transfer. They will not consider immuno supports- schoolcraft actuall called it pseudo- science to my face when I asked due to my history of RPL. Meanwhile more and more papers on the specific useful immuno treatments are being released. i think if you are under the age of 35 and do NOT have diagnosed DOR, and have never had a failed cycle, their conservative approach could work for you.
All in over 40K out of pocket.
never made it to transfer because they all died on day 4- which is what always happened. This was particularly bad because they got 14 eggs and only 4 were mature. They insist on growing to day 5 and so the 4 died.
Treated 2017
Dr. Gustofson did an excellent job explaining every step in the treatment process he didn't make any of it sound scary and was very understanding of our opinions on some of the steps. He was also very understanding and patient with us. He took his time to explain all of our options and made sure to address all of our questions.
The clinic [CCRM] needs to be better about follow up. The business office has yet to respond to our request for a pricing breakdown. They need to be more responsive to voicemail.... We were diagnosed with Male Infertility. My husband had already been seen by a urologist and Dr. Gustofson's first approach was to better understand the treatment thus far. From there we were given the options to use a donor. We were then advised on the donor banks, then the IUI and IVF process. These decisions have yet to be mad on our part we are currently in step one which is getting the information from the Urologist to Dr. G. for review and his opinion on if we should pursue any further treatments for Male Infertility.
How was your experience with Robert Gustofson at CCRM Colorado?
I would advise him to be a bit more aggressive in the timeline of things and possibly explain things in a little more detail or provide more information to digest at a later time.
The Doctor spent time outlining all of our options and understanding our health history fully. He never made it feel like he was rushing us thru the process. He took his time and answered every question that we had. He also took notes for us with all the details of our discussion outlined.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado.
The nurse was very compassionate and helped to support the doctor.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
The clinic needs to be better about follow up. The business office has yet to respond to our request for a pricing breakdown. They need to be more responsive to voicemail.
Not yet provided with this information.
The doctor did not address this option.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
Upon our first visit we were given several options. The business office was supposed to contact us with the cost breakdown of the options. This would be helpful in our considerations. This has yet to be provided.
Treated 2017
I felt he [Dr. Surrey] was very knowledgeable, warm, and friendly. I only saw him twice I believe. We did a FET with our 1 remaining untested embryo from our IVF cycle in 2015. We had it shipped from IL to CO for the transfer. When the transfer failed the Doctor called me personally to tell me it failed. It was nice for him to reach out....We were disappointed and didn’t feel prepared for it not to work.... I wish I would have asked more questions on the likelihood of it working.
The clinic [CCRM Colorado] is nice, large, and well organized.... They answered questions within 24 hours via the portal. I had several nurses that would respond which made it a little confusing. My preference is to have 1 main contact.... A big weakness in my opinion is you are forced to use their in-house lab. Although I initially thought this was a benefit, very few insurance companies are covered under their lab.... I remember a hefty consultation fee as well, it was significantly higher than most.
How was your experience with Eric Surrey at CCRM Colorado?
I felt he was very knowledgeable, warm, and friendly. I only saw him twice I believe. We did a FET with our 1 remaining untested embryo from our IVF cycle in 2015. We had it shipped from IL to CO for the transfer. When the transfer failed the Doctor called me personally to tell me it failed. It was nice for him to reach out.
I wish I would have asked more questions on the likelihood of it working. With an untested embryo with a 35 year old egg I guess our chances weren’t very high. We were disappointed and didn’t feel prepared for it not to work.
Maybe because we weren’t going through a full IVF cycle but just transferring an embryo but I dont even remember my nurse. I do feel like we were given a bunch of information but it was all contained and sent through a portal. It felt kind of cold vs having direct email access to my nurse
I don’t have access to my paperwork, I must not have saved it and it was sent via the portal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Yes but I don’t remember her name. All communication was through their portal. )
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
A big weakness in my opinion is you are forced to use their in-house lab. Although I initially thought this was a benefit, very few insurance companies are covered under their lab. We ended up paying far more than we needed to. The clinic is nice, large, and well organized.
As mentioned earlier, their lab where they require all testing was not covered under our insurance when most places were. We didn’t find that out until we were too far down the path to turn back. I remember a hefty consultation fee as well, it was significantly higher than most.
Treated 2015 - 2016
At first I was thrilled to have her [Dr Kondapalli] as a doctor. She was energetic and fun. It became clear very quickly that she made many mistakes - we had to correct her. She misdiagnosed and recommended the wrong protocols. She pushed donor sperm despite the fact that we said repeatedly we did not want that. We met with her 3 times. After our last attempt, we refused to meet with her because of her complete lack of care.
We have moved on to another clinic [from CCRM] who has taken very good care of us and we have already had signs of more success. After some time, I plan to contact the patient advocate at CCRM to explain the MANY mistakes that were made. It breaks my heart thinking about the way they treat couples and women and I hope what happened to us never happens to anyone else.
How was your experience with Laxmi Kondapalli at CCRM Colorado?
At first I was thrilled to have her as a doctor. She was energetic and fun. It became clear very quickly that she made many mistakes - we had to correct her. She misdiagnosed and recommended the wrong protocols. She pushed donor sperm despite the fact that we said repeatedly we did not want that. We met with her 3 times. After our last attempt, we refused to meet with her because of her complete lack of care.
See another doctor.
She frequently confused information. She had never read our chart when we went to meet with her. She made many mistakes. We only met with her 3 times. She refused to admit she made mistakes.
She first put me on an antagonist protocol, it produced a lot of eggs but my estrogen skyrocketed. The second protocol was the same but with estrogen priming. My estrogen hit almost 7,000. She refused to admit that it was the protocol and actually had the nerve to say, "we could change the protocol, what do you think we should do?"
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at CCRM Colorado.
It's hard to blame the nurses because they are underpaid, overworked and not trained. I never had one nurse - I spoke to several who frequently made mistakes.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
A money-making machine that pushes donor egg and sperm to boost their numbers.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at CCRM Colorado.
Cattle-call line.
In total, almost $75,000 including one unnecessary surgery for my husband. Result: 0 embryos
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
We have moved on to another clinic who has taken very good care of us and we have already had signs of more success. After some time, I plan to contact the patient advocate at CCRM to explain the MANY mistakes that were made. It breaks my heart thinking about the way they treat couples and women and I hope what happened to us never happens to anyone else.
Laxmi Kondapalli
Treated 2016
Dr Gustofson had some definite strengths as a doctor -- he was personable and gave us plenty of time to ask questions during our initial consult...when my cycle did not go as expected, he lacked empathy and, moreover, the willingness to problem-solve, to really dig into my unique situation and work with me. I felt like I had suddenly shifted from being a patient to being a problem. I did one unsuccessful IVF cycle with him at the age of 36 and he told me that my only option was donor eggs.
CCRM is a fertility factory. As such, they have an industrial approach to IVF: there are different models of the product (IVF) and you are assigned to a particular model. If you do not happen to fit into one of their models, you are SOL. There is no attempt to personalize models to the individual. Also, their prices are truly exploitative. I felt like I was being over charged for everything. I think that even if my cycle had been successful, I would have felt like I overpaid.
How was your experience with Robert Gustofson at CCRM Colorado?
Dr Gustofson had some definite strengths as a doctor -- he was personable and gave us plenty of time to ask questions during our initial consult; he reached out to me with a personal phone call when things weren't looking good; and he overall seems to believe in what he is doing. However, under his care I also experienced some interactions and situations that made me very uncomfortable with him as a doctor overall. The main problem I had with him was that when my cycle did not go as expected, he lacked empathy and, moreover, the willingness to problem-solve, to really dig into my unique situation and work with me. I felt like I had suddenly shifted from being a patient to being a problem. I did one unsuccessful IVF cycle with him at the age of 36 and he told me that my only option was donor eggs. He made absolutely no concession to the fact that the aggressive, high-stim protocol that he chose for me might have influenced my egg quality. He said that since the same protocol worked for other women, the problem is obviously me, not the protocol. Talk about faulty logic... He made no concession for the fact that we are also dealing with male factor. He simply told me, in a blunt and heartless way, that my eggs are crap and I should move on. Other doctors at smaller clinics who are willing to work to customize protocols for individual patients have since given me hope, but at the time, I felt just crushed by his pronouncements. I think the main problem with Dr Gustofson's approach to treating infertility is that he lacks humility and the willingness to work with a person as an individual. He believes wholeheartedly in his approach and is not willing to see others' points of view. There is so much about the field that is mysterious and he doesn't seem willing to admit that. Pity the patient who doesn't fit into his clearly-drawn lines. His approach seems to reflect the factory-like nature of CCRM. He has many patients, none of whom receive quite enough attention. As a result, he made some serious errors while I was under his care, forgetting very important things that I had told him and then acting as if his mistake was my fault.
Expect to be treated like a cog in the system.
Dr Gustofson showed little empathy when delivering difficult information and seemed to have just briefly scanned my chart notes before speaking with me. There were some instances in which he made the extra effort to reach out to me with a phone call when things were not looking good, and I appreciated this greatly. But when my cycle went badly, I felt like he just gave up on me and wrote me off. I felt like I was just a a problem for maintaining CCRM's statistics and he had no interest in actually addressing the challenging particularities of my situation.
I was on CCRM's estrogen priming protocol with testosterone and HGH. It was a protocol that seemed to make sense for me but was disastrous. I was on very high doses of both Follistim and Menopur (450-550 total). I never received a clear rationale for using the protocol, except that it was geared towards maximizing egg quality.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Helen)
I never actually met Helen, which is indicative of how CCRM runs. I wish I could have had the opportunity to see her, at least once. But despite not meeting her, she was a competent nurse.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
We spent roughly $35K on one cycle.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
My husband and I decided not to do CCS testing. We informed the lab, our nurse, and the doctor of our decision. The CCS testing was run anyway and CCRM's policy is that if an embryo comes back as genetically abnormal, you lose all rights to your embyro -- it is automatically donated to their lab for research. They do not believe in any of the recent studies showing how mosaicism in embryos can lead to viable embryos being discarded. As a result, our embryo was donated to their lab despite the fact that we asked for the testing NOT to be run.

Treated 2016
Dr. Surrey had good bedside manner, however it felt like he just applied the same plan to you without actually reviewing your history. For example was not clear of the medications I had taken during a previous cycle and had to stop half way through describing next steps because it changed the plan. Seemed to do extensive labs that weren't always indicated. Didn't know whether he had prescribed trigger shots or not...1) IUI with clomid and ovedrel. Dr. Surrey felt the work up didn't explain our infertility enough, so that starting with less invasive would be okay. Produced a chemical pregnancy - ?maybe. He called it a chemical pregnancy and ordered more labs then as we were starting the next cycle remembered I did a trigger shot and that could have explained the very very low b-hcg. 2) Repeat same plan. Negative
[Nursing staff at CCRM were] Very poor communicators. Unable to get ahold of my assigned nurse directly. Would take 2-3 messages over 1-2 days to get a call back. Lacked empathy with negative test results - left voicemails and then just referred us to the in house counselor. When cycle was cancelled last minute put blame on us for something they missed. Would say they would call to set up next cycle or next re-group and never called.
How was your experience with Eric Surrey at CCRM Colorado?
Make sure you are aware of each step and ask lots of questions. Question why you are doing things and review everything without assuming that he is aware of previous or current treatment.
Very busy clinic where support staff didn't know patients very well. Felt like you were part of a factory walking from one part to the next without individualization
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
Very nice and fancy building. Have a Central Denver Office - but Dr. isn't there very often so have to drive to the suburbs for most of your care. Care costs more than other clinics and it appears a lot of that money is going towards a fancy building.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
After IUI pregnancy test was "lost" by the lab. Took 5 days and multiple calls each day to get results. Nurse finally called with them and said how "proud" she was of finding the results - acting like I should thank her. Never appreciated that waiting 5 days for a negative pregnancy test while I continued to take progesterone did not leave me in a congratulatory mood for her.
Treated 2014 - 2015
Dr. Schoolcraft is clearly a very educated physician. He is very professional but lacks in the area of compassion... In the end, there is no need to go all the way to Colorado to pay double the price without the outcome.
CCRM is a very busy practice. I am a physician and hoped to be treated as one. In the end, I felt like just a number and a checkbook. Everything there is double the price anywhere else... There is nothing special about traveling all the way to Colorado for fertility treatments unless you live there already. Stay local and pay less.
How was your experience with William Schoolcraft at CCRM Colorado?
Dr. Schoolcraft is clearly a very educated physician. He is very professional but lacks in the area of compassion. We had to use TWO different donor's for my second and third cycle of donor egg IVF and the first resulted in a chemical pregnancy after only ONE egg fertilized of 10 frozen eggs. The second donor cycle I asked for PGS to be performed as this would be my SIXTH IVF, and I was told it did NOT need to be done. I ended up with a 13 week Down's syndrome baby that I miscarried, required a d&e for, and hemorrhaged. In the end, there is no need to go all the way to Colorado to pay double the price without the outcome.
CCRM is a very busy practice. I am a physician and hoped to be treated as one. In the end, I felt like just a number and a checkbook. Everything there is double the price anywhere else. There was ONE nurse who I worked with who was compassionate and warm, the rest treated you like a number. In the end, because we complained, I was given special treatment but only because we had had such poor results.
I had already undergone 3 cycles of IVF in my hometown: 2 fresh cycles with my own eggs (neg pregnancy tests), and a third cycle FET with PGS tested normal embryos which resulted in a blighted ovum. I had heard that CCRM was the place for difficult cases so I went there. I underwent a FET after a retrieval of PGS tested normal embryos which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. At that point, it was recommended I either use a donor egg or a surrogate, but I was not given direction as to which was preferred. I chose to use a donor egg. I used a donor who had 10 eggs frozen. When we arrived, only ONE fertilized and was transferred on day 3. I was heartbroken and begged for him to also transfer my last frozen embryo so a day 5 transfer of my embryo was also performed that cycle (double transfer). After a chemical pregnancy, I insisted that since I had the worst donor ever, I was given special consideration. After a long conversation, he stated I could try again with a proven donor from his database for free. She had 16 frozen eggs and we transferred 2 day 5 embryos. I had asked for them to be PGS tested but I was told that was unnecessary. I ended up with a positive NIPT test at 10 weeks for down's and a positive CVS for down's. I then miscarried at 13 weeks. I then left CCRM and returned to my hometown where I am now 30 weeks pregnant after donor egg IVF on my first try.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
Katie was the best. She was compassionate, caring, and helpful. She was the best part of CCRM.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
CCRM is impressive. It has fancy decor, waterfalls, and high ceilings. But it's like a factory and you never feel like you are treated as a patient but a number.
Almost double the price of any other fertility clinic I have encountered. I paid approximately 42k for my donor cycle and back in my hometown, I was given an amazing donor (who produces over 60 eggs per cycle and has already given 2 other couples babies) and paid a total of 25k total and I'm actually going to end up a mom! Everything is pay first and if you get reimbursed later, then you're lucky. You speak with financial people almost every major visit.

Treated 2013 - 2015
Investor
He's not warm or personal. He's smart, though. He will tell you his opinion, even when it's not helpful (such as telling me that something another doctor told me about was "utter quackery"). He didn't really know me at all. He sees so many patients and I didn't have much of a relationship with him....My 'home' clinic sent information that CCRM interpreted differently, and then blamed my home clinic, which was totally inaccurate. And, I had a biopsy and they never called to tell me it was normal. I had to call them.
Really difficult to get a hold of with lots of phone tag. That changed a bit for the transfer b/c the nurse gave me her direct number, but it still wasn't so great....My 'home' clinic sent information that CCRM interpreted differently, and then blamed my home clinic, which was totally inaccurate. And, I had a biopsy and they never called to tell me it was normal. I had to call them....Difficult to coordinate with and it's like a factory.
How was your experience with William Schoolcraft at CCRM Colorado?
Don't expect a warm doctor or compassion, but he is intelligent and has a lot of experience
I sent 5 frozen eggs there in 2013 that were retreived and frozen in 2012. One did not defrost successfully. Of those 4, all were ICSIed and 1 fertilized (that was the worst result for all 6 cycles in terms of fertilization percentage, so I don't know if it was b/c the eggs were frozen badly or got damaged during shipment), that one made it to day 5, and was chromosomally normal. I transfered it in 2015 and am pregnant now. Thank I did 2 additional egg retrievals there. One was with ganirelix for 3 days before menses, then a lupron micro-dose every 12 hours for a few days and then adding menopur and 300 fsh/day. The other one was ganirelix for 3 days before menses, then menopur and 300 fsh/day. He tried the lupron micro-dosing but it didn't produce more eggs, so the antagonist was better. We used ICSI and about 75% fertilized each time. I had 2 make it to day 5, but none were chromosomally normal
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
Difficult to coordinate with and it's like a factory.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at CCRM Colorado.
Mostly a lot of people waiting and not very convenient
$75k
Treated 2015
...he [Dr. Schoolcraft] recommended DE to us, his reasoning was I failed to make Blast on 2 previous IVFs. I was 32 and DH 33 at the time. AFC 10-12 . NOT DOR pt. I explained that I am so many eggs left and I am still young and not ready for DE. He said hes willing to try IVM but hes not too hopeful!...I went to CCRM w high hopes. From my initial consult Dr S suggested DE based on my two failed cycles. I explained to him that I'm not ready to give up on my own eggs at 32, my afc is around 10-12 so I do have lots of eggs left I explained that I can do DE at late 30s...
She [nurse atCCRM - Lone Tree] at was very nice and caring.One of the best labs in North America... Amazing Embryologist...IVM protocol, 2 retrieved, Good quality day 3, called the nurse and requested to freeze on Day 3, Dr. S refused saying he wants to push to blast to do CCS testing ( I was 32 at the time). No blast...
How was your experience with William Schoolcraft at CCRM Colorado?
I went to CCRM w high hopes. From my initial consult Dr S suggested DE based on my two failed cycles. I explained to him that I'm not ready to give up on my own eggs at 32, my afc is around 10-12 so I do have lots of eggs left I explained that I can do DE at late 30s. He suggested IVM which I wasn't comfortable with since is experimental but the results won't be reported (part of SART) which he's really big on...On day 3 the embryologist called me and said I have good looking day 3 with less than 10% frag and I told him I want to freeze but he said it's not up to him ! I begged my nurse to freeze one on day 3 but she said Dr Slijes to push them to blast and CCS testing is part of my protocol(did I Mention I was 32 w no known genetic problems all tests were normal.) but they get to charge you extra 4K for CCS testing. Once again I went w his recommendation but I should have trusted my gut! On day 6 the embryologist called to said none made it.
on his famous ODWU he recommended DE to us, his reasoning was I failed to make Blast on 2 previous IVFs. I was 32 and DH 33 at the time. AFC 10-12 . NOT DOR pt. I explained that I am so many eggs left and I am still young and not ready for DE. He said hes willing to try IVM but hes not too hopeful!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at CCRM Colorado.
She was very nice and caring.
one of the best labs in North America. amazing Embryologist