Genetic counseling: Offered
Storrs (closed)
One Royce Circle
Storrs, CT 06268
860-487-9200
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) to a friend?

2016 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Definitely be your own advocate [with Dr. DiLuigi]...Without doing my own research for hours on end as far as discovering what things to add to my protocol and so on, I don’t think I would have my son today...We used very traditional protocols. I had to push for my own tests & treatments after unfortunately spending a lot of money and enduring a lot of heartache. I think it would be helpful to get to the root of problems before prescribing the standard one size fits all approach to patients with “unexplained infertility.” However, I know there’s still a lot of unknowns in this field, and I’m sure some patients do get lucky here and there with the standard protocols.
Monitoring appointments [at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services] ran efficiently. The weekends in Farmington can get pretty busy and could have a long wait time...I think they have a strong lab and run an efficient, organized center. The weaknesses are that they don’t “think outside the box.” They stick to very traditional/conventional protocols, which may not work out for everyone. Testing, treatment, etc. was all done after I did research & pushed for it myself after either having failed cycles/miscarriages. I did conceive my son from a fresh transfer with them, and I will be forever grateful for that. I’m hoping to be able to give him a sibling and then be able to close this chapter of my life.
2016 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Andrea DiLuigi at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
I definitely trust her opinions and think she is very smart. I would love to be able to interact with her more instead of always having to communicate to nurses as a middle person. I felt that she always genuinely cared about me, and I always felt like she answered all my questions when I actually got to speak with her. I always felt hopeful after speaking with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrea DiLuigi at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Definitely be your own advocate. Doctors want to help, but in the end, you have to be the one to sort of figure things out on your own. Without doing my own research for hours on end as far as discovering what things to add to my protocol and so on, I don’t think I would have my son today.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrea DiLuigi at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
I felt she did genuinely care about me as a patient and wanted to do her best to help.
Describe the protocols Andrea DiLuigi used in your cycles at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Toni)
I often felt alone during this process because I felt that the nurse would try to answer my questions without getting the opinion of the doctor before advising me. When you’re spending a ton of money and have so much on the line, you want to make sure your questions and voice are being heard by your doctor, and I almost felt like I wasn’t “allowed” to speak with her. There was major confusion on certain topics because you’re playing the telephone game. For example, I would ask the nurse to ask the doctor something only to get a response like “it’s up to you” back. I am not the doctor so how would I know what to do? I’m asking so that I can do what the doctor wants me to do. She does always call me back the same day after leaving a voice message or to call me with results, and the nurses are all nice, so I guess that’s a plus. I just wish I could talk to my doctor more as I definitely respect her opinions and advice. The nurses sometimes give contradicting or insufficient advice/info, which is why I said to be your own advocate. I do really like Chelsea, the IUI nurse, but don’t deal with her since I’m doing IVF.
Describe your experience with Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Monitoring appointments ran efficiently. The weekends in Farmington can get pretty busy and could have a long wait time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrea DiLuigi at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
I had limited insurance coverage and will be paying out of pocket for further IVF cycles and FET’s. I have probably spent over 30,000 in out of pocket costs even with insurance with co-pays and things the insurance didn’t cover. I think the center’s costs are similar to what it would cost at any other clinic.
Describe Andrea DiLuigi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
She basically left it up to me, but since I am young, we thought it’d be smart to just transfer 1.
Farmington

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Andrea DiLuigi at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).

Dr. Nulsen will explain everything to his patients. In my case he responded to emails & phone calls. He evaluates each retrieval & discusses what went right & what went wrong. When I had my second retrieval he did not make any changes to my protocol because of the high amount of blasts I produced the first time...He was still honest in saying we would most likely have all abnormal embryos but he was much more optimistic. My second retrieval produced 6 blasts & unfortunately 5 were abnormal & 1 was a mosaic that is not recommended for transfer.
The first retrieval [at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services] was supposed to be covered by insurance. Devon, Dr. Nulsen’s financial person verified this ahead of time. However I keep getting bills...she is working on getting these paid but it’s unsettling because it’s not yet resolved & I could possibly still owe upwards of $3k. My second retrieval was self pay & cost $10k. We had to also pay $1,500 for biopsy & then $1900 for PGS testing through CooperGenomics.
How was your experience with John Nulsen at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nulsen at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
That’s hard to say. In a clinic of this size you only see your doctor a few times. I don’t have any experience with any other clinics to compare.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nulsen at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
At first I felt like a number partly due to my age. Dr. Nulsen is honest but I felt like he was borderline pessimistic & made it sound like I really had no chance of success. However, after my first retrieval which yielded 5 blasts (all abnormal), he said he was shocked at how well I responded to the stims & believed I had a chance for success. He was still honest in saying we would most likely have all abnormal embryos but he was much more optimistic. My second retrieval produced 6 blasts & unfortunately 5 were abnormal & 1 was a mosaic that is not recommended for transfer.
Describe the protocols John Nulsen used in your cycles at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) and their degree of success.
He prescribed gonal-f 300 units, 2 vials of menopur, ganerelix & 50 units of Omnitrope (HGH). I asked for the Omnitrope because I’d heard people my age had success with it. We used an HCG trigger. We used the same protocol for my second retrieval due to the high amount of blasts that were produced. All blasts were PGA tested & a total of 10 were abnormal & 1 was mosaic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Robin (1st retrieval) Erin (second retrieval))
Robin was a temporary/contract nurse. She was great. Then when her contract was up the position was filled temporarily by a retired nurse who had worked with Dr. Nulsen for many years. She was very responsive. By the time of my 2nd retrieval, the position had been filled by Erin Hastings. She is fantastic. Responsive, compassionate...top notch. The nurses that cared for me on retrieval day were also great.
It’s a very busy clinic. You are likely to see different ultrasound techs for each visit. I know some people who switched to a smaller clinic where 1 doctor performs all procedures & ultrasounds & they prefer that approach. Seeing different MDs and ultrasound techs did not bother me. But if you are looking for 1 on 1 care, CARS may not be for you.
Monitoring is done daily from 7-9 AM. You must come during that time. It’s done on a first come - first served basis. Sometimes there are somewhat long waits. Not sure there’s anything that can be done to avoid that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nulsen at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
The first retrieval was supposed to be covered by insurance. Devon, Dr. Nulsen’s financial person verified this ahead of time. However I keep getting bills...she is working on getting these paid but it’s unsettling because it’s not yet resolved & I could possibly still owe upwards of $3k. My second retrieval was self pay & cost $10k. We had to also pay $1,500 for biopsy & then $1900 for PGS testing through CooperGenomics.
Describe John Nulsen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Not applicable
Farmington

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Nulsen at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).

2017 - 2019
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
I have always felt that Dr. Benadiva has been considerate of our time and concerns. He takes the time to make sure that we understand everything that is happening and works to get things done in a timely manner...We have always left our appointments with a plan that we understand and trusting that we are in good hands on this journey. Dr. Benadiva has been proactive about treating the cause of infertility so that we finally have an explanation and plan to make our dreams of expanding our family come true.
She [nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services] is compassionate, professional, and thoughtful. She always puts us at ease and does a great job. She is also always available to answer questions, and make sure we have everything that we need...The clinic is clean the staff is friendly. I have never had an issue getting an appointment or resolving any issues, including questions about insurance or billing. I also feel confident that my private health information and confidentiality is protected. I appreciate that members of the staff and care team treat us with respect and consideration.
2017 - 2019
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Claudio Benadiva at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Dr. Benadiva has always been professional, thoughtful, and considerate. We have always left our appointments with a plan that we understand and trusting that we are in good hands on this journey. Dr. Benadiva has been proactive about treating the cause of infertility so that we finally have an explanation and plan to make our dreams of expanding our family come true.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Claudio Benadiva at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
If Dr. Benadiva is recommending something, it is probably important.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Claudio Benadiva at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
I have always felt that Dr. Benadiva has been considerate of our time and concerns. He takes the time to make sure that we understand everything that is happening and works to get things done in a timely manner. He, along with his staff, follow through consistently and have even conducted after hours phone calls in various occasions.
Describe the protocols Claudio Benadiva used in your cycles at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) and their degree of success.
We went to Dr. Benadiva after several years of trying to conceive as well as early pregnancy loss. After unsuccessful attempts at timed intercourse and cycles with both clomid and letrozole with another provider, we started seeing Dr. Benadiva who performed a hysterosalpingogram and subsequently sent me to a surgeon for a bilateral salpingectomy after discovering bilateral hydrosalpinx. The next step will be to start IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Helen)
Helen, the nurse that works with Dr. Benadiva, is wonderful. She is compassionate, professional, and thoughtful. She always puts us at ease and does a great job. She is also always available to answer questions, and make sure we have everything that we need. Anytime I have ever called her with questions or concerns, she is always very timely in returning my call and helping to resolve any issues. She is an integral part of the team.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Claudio Benadiva at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
When I first started seeing Dr. Benadiva, I did not have insurance coverage for anything fertility related. I had a consultation and ultrasound for which we paid a few hundred dollars, out of pocket. Luckily, my current insurance coverage does include fertility benefits, so my costs are related to my deductible.
Describe Claudio Benadiva's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
I have not yet reached this stage in my treatment.
Farmington

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Claudio Benadiva at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).

Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. Nulsen] always takes the time to personally call me with news/updates (and is pretty good at delivering dismal news). I really appreciate how much he cares about me as a patient. I don't feel like any question is "stupid" or that I'm ever being rushed...is so intelligent and so well-trained. I trust him fully and even after a really poor response to my first round of IVF, I trust his adjustment wholeheartedly. I really don't have any weaknesses to share, aside from the fact that I pray our second round of IVF will lead to more embryos and hopefully one will be PGS normal!
Unfortunately, my PGS results [from Center for Advanced Reproductive Services] came in on a Tuesday and I did not learn of the results until that Friday. This was heartwrenching for me, but the only mistake in over 8 months of being a patient...It [monitoring] was a well-efficient, well-oiled machine. As long as you get there before 7:30, you are seen within 30 minutes or so. The MAs are great and you're often seen by an MD for ultrasounds.
Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
As I stated earlier, Dr. Nulsen is so intelligent and so well-trained. I trust him fully and even after a really poor response to my first round of IVF, I trust his adjustment wholeheartedly. I really don't have any weaknesses to share, aside from the fact that I pray our second round of IVF will lead to more embryos and hopefully one will be PGS normal!
I highly recommend that you come prepared with a list of questions. Time with Dr. Nulsen is sacred, so please make the most of it!
Even though Dr. Nulsen is incredibly scientific in his presentation and philosophy (always relies on textbooks and peer-reviewed studies/literature, which I certainly appreciate!), he always treats me like a human; I am also good at reminding him that I am a human and not a number ;). He always takes the time to personally call me with news/updates (and is pretty good at delivering dismal news). I really appreciate how much he cares about me as a patient. I don't feel like any question is "stupid" or that I'm ever being rushed.
I started with an agonist protocol (Gonal F 375 IU for 10 days; Ganirelix for 7 days and I was triggered with just Lupron). This produced 8 eggs (expected for my age, I guess), but only one fertilized and then made it to blast. This embryo was PGS abnormal, and I was told I have "very poor egg quality." I'm not sure I fully believe this, as I have a healthy, perfect 3.5 year old. I'm currently on the MDL flare protocol (starting BCPs tonight for 18 days) and then I'll be on Gonal F pen (300 IU PM), microdose leuprolide (10 IU 2x/day), Menopur (150 IU PM), and HCG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Vicki Hauptmann)
Aside from being a little "all over the place," Vicki truly cares so much about her patients. She is very smart, and can take a mile a minute, but is okay when you ask her to pause or slow down. I know she's rooting SO hard for me, which I truly appreciate. All of the other nurses I've encountered are amazing, too.
CARS is amazing. I walked in as a terrified new patient (who wants to be on this journey?!) and now feel like a seasoned pro. I love all of the staff members (lab people, front desk people, MAs, nurses, and my doctor. I recommend coming prepared with all necessary documents and questions when you come for your appointments). I also love the Resolve support group that is hosted there once a month. Their community outreach (thank you, Ami!) is amazing!
It was a well-efficient, well-oiled machine. As long as you get there before 7:30, you are seen within 30 minutes or so. The MAs are great and you're often seen by an MD for ultrasounds.
I wish I knew more, but since insurance covered 100% I don't know. I think with meds included my first round of IVF was around $30,000.
If we get there, especially since we are doing PGS, he highly recommends I only transfer one embryo.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Unfortunately, my PGS results came in on a Tuesday and I did not learn of the results until that Friday. This was heartwrenching for me, but the only mistake in over 8 months of being a patient. I will convey this heartbreak to them at my next appointment.
Farmington

Dr. Grow has a calm and friendly nature. He speaks calmly while providing patients with needed information. His happy and optimistic nature rubs off on patients. He is honest and provides suggestions in a non-threatening and reassuring manner....When with Dr. Grow, I was part of a double blind research study. Some of the information I was not privy to during the study. But, in consultation, Dr. Grow made it clear that he was hopeful to get some eggs for retrieval.
The clinic [Ctr for Advanced Reproductive Services] was easily accessible off of a major highway. It was clean, welcoming, bathrooms easily accessible, a coffee/tea bar, and bloodwork lab/patient suites organized downstairs from monitoring.... The nurses were excellent. So kind. My primary nurses Shannon and Glorimar were fabulous. They were understanding, honest, compassionate, knowledgeable, eased my worries, informative, and were accessible through the entire process.
How was your experience with Daniel Grow at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Grow at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Do not be scared to ask questions :-)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Grow at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Dr. Grow is extremely calm and welcoming. He has a nurturing demeanor. He was honest yet optimistic in his discussions with us.
Describe the protocols Daniel Grow used in your cycles at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) and their degree of success.
When with Dr. Grow, I was part of a double blind research study. Some of the information I was not privy to during the study. But, in consultation, Dr. Grow made it clear that he was hopeful to get some eggs for retrieval. Once I began my cycle I was monitored just as must or even more so than a regular patient. Even before beginning the Study I had a consultation with Dr. Grow, a physical, two ultrasounds, internal exam, and multiple panels of blood work. I went in on day three, received an ultrasound, and was given the injectible study medication to take, I began with 12 mcg. I went back on day five and had more blood work and an ultrasound and was put on Ganirelix. I was also upped to 15 mcg of the injectible. I continued Ganirelix and the injectible, coming in on days 7, 8, and 9 for ultrasound and more bloodwork. On day 9 I took Novarel as a trigger. I retrieved on day 11 and began Endometrin tablets the following day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Shannon Brown, Glorimar Diaz)
The clinic was easily accessible off of a major highway. It was clean, welcoming, bathrooms easily accessible, a coffee/tea bar, and bloodwork lab/patient suites organized downstairs from monitoring.
I did have to go in at a certain window, especially as part of a study, but most times I did not have to wait terrible long. And, staff were so kind and supportive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Grow at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
For the workup I paid copays. Once in the study the costs were covered.
Describe Daniel Grow's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
As part of the study my husband and I agreed to a single embryo transfer.
Daniel Grow
Farmington

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Daniel Grow at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).

Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
We met with him [Dr. Lawrence Engmann] for a few of our appointments. He relies heavily on a large staff of nurses to provide him with the daily data. Every bloodwork and US was reviewed by him even if I didn't speak with him directly. He was open to hearing our goals and matching treatment to them. He also fully explained the likely causes, and possible courses to take early on.... The initial plan was 3 cycles on letrozole with timed intercourse, because letrozole is a more conservative choice than clomid with fewer side effects.
It's a very large clinic [Ctr for Advanced Repro Services] but the nursing staff is very organized and you have one POC for your whole treatment plan. Depending on who is there that day you will see different Drs and nursing staff. All of the Drs I've interacted with are friendly and direct. The auxiliary staff is not quite as organized and compassionate, to them you are just patients.... She was very responsive and entertained any questions I had. She always deferred to Dr Engman for decisions but would talk to me about "hypothetical" outcomes before Dr Engman had reviewed my chart, and would then follow up that he had come to the same conclusion.
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Lawrence Engmann at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
We met with him for a few of our appointments. He relies heavily on a large staff of nurses to provide him with the daily data. Every bloodwork and US was reviewed by him even if I didn't speak with him directly. He was open to hearing our goals and matching treatment to them. He also fully explained the likely causes, and possible courses to take early on.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lawrence Engmann at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Trust in the process and don't try to be more of a doctor than he is. The clinic has a method and it can be frustratingly slow but they proceed with treatment in the order they do for a reason. Treatment begins pretty conservatively but is open to changes if you make it known you'd like to be more aggressive.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lawrence Engmann at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
He's very direct but also kind and uses some slight humor. This is a big practice and my nurse was more up to speed with my day today treatment.
Describe the protocols Lawrence Engmann used in your cycles at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) and their degree of success.
The initial plan was 3 cycles on letrozole with timed intercourse, because letrozole is a more conservative choice than clomid with fewer side effects. After that the plan was 3 IUI cycles with letrozole but after 2 IUIs we were given the option to proceed to IVF if we were getting frustrated. We're starting IVF shortly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Mary Kate Malloy)
It's a very large clinic but the nursing staff is very organized and you have one POC for your whole treatment plan. Depending on who is there that day you will see different Drs and nursing staff. All of the Drs I've interacted with are friendly and direct. The auxiliary staff is not quite as organized and compassionate, to them you are just patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lawrence Engmann at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
I have an insurance benefit that covers everything for me. SAs for my husband was $230
Describe Lawrence Engmann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Dr Engman advises only one embryo transferred at a time.
Sometimes during monitoring I don't receive a call in the afternoon, this is usually interpreted and I need to go in for monitoring the next day. My regular nurse was out for several months and in her absence there were a few mix ups and I could tell the nursing staff was a little flustered and stretched when it came to managing patients.
Lawrence Engmann

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. Benadiva] is generally very patient and takes the time to explain things to patients. When we were waiting to see if a pregnancy would end in miscarriage or not he was very realistic without pessimism. He always made sure to look over our chart to remind himself of the details and avoided any missteps like that. ...Our first visit he did an ultrasound to verify my PCOS. He also had a semen analysis done on my husband which hadn't been mentioned by my OBGYN.
[UCONN Ctr Adv Repro Svcs] Lots of compassion, organized, you don't feel like a number. I don't like continually being told to speak to our financial counselor. I know what we can and can't afford and what options I deem irresponsible financially. Even at a great clinic be prepared to speak up for yourselves. If we hadn't done that the varicocele contributing to our Male factor issues would not have been resolved.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He is generally very patient and takes the time to explain things to patients. When we were waiting to see if a pregnancy would end in miscarriage or not he was very realistic without pessimism. He always made sure to look over our chart to remind himself of the details and avoided any missteps like that.
Read all the handouts he gives you and feel free to call with questions if you have them!! They really do not mind. He's also happy to answer questions during appointments.
He always looked at my chart and would explain why he wanted to go by whatever course of action. He's also always taken time to answer any and all questions.
Our first visit he did an ultrasound to verify my PCOS. He also had a semen analysis done on my husband which hadn't been mentioned by my OBGYN. When discussing the idea of letrozole he gave me copies of articles discussing studies that showed it tended go work better than Clomid for PCOS. He also gave me information on IUI in case we needed to move to that. When he wanted to do the HSG and saline ultrasound he explained why. My 4th round of letrozole and timed intercourse resulted in miscarriage and the IUI with injectables resulted in a chemical. After our 2nd loss (we had 1 prior to starting at the Center) he had genetic testing done on my husband and me as well as on that baby to get answers for us. After the chemical he said we should move to IVF with PGS testing as a way to avoid more losses.
Our nurse is amazing. She always calls back or has someone on the team contact me on her behalf. She answers our questions and finds the answer elsewhere if she doesn't know.
$400 per regular IUI. It was about $4200 total, including medications, for the injectable cycle. For our income bracket IVF would be 12.5K before medications

3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
I have completed three IVF cycles that resulted in 10 frozen embryos at the end. Dr. Schmidt started with less aggressive approach first and based on my response, changed the stimulation protocol that resulted in very successful third cycle. He encouraged our decision to do PGS test on our frozen embryos and explain pros and cons very clearly. He was successfully transferred single normal embryo and currently I'm 10 weeks pregnant. We are very happy and satisfied with the treatment options taken for us by Dr. Schmidt.
All the nurses I met at the CARS are very caring, friendly and helpful. I haven't met anyone who was rude, mean or consider me as a nuisance... Overall environment is very pleasant. I particularly like the beautiful photo wall inside the clinic that shows photos of babies that came to this world because of the care of CARS team. It gives hope and bring positive thoughts to our stressful IVF journey.... My insurance covered costs associated with IVF treatment. We had to pay for embryo freezing, biopsy and PGS test.
3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with David Schmidt at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Dr. Schmidt is the best. He takes time to explain everything in details and make sure we understand all the information. I felt safe and comfortable when treated by Dr. Schmidt. I highly recommend him to my friends and colleagues.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Schmidt at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Trust him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Schmidt at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
I was fortunate to have Dr. Schmidt and his team for my IVF treatment. During my treatment process I met doctors, nurses and staff members at CARS, and everyone was very helpful and friendly. They tried their best to make my journey as comfortable as possible.
Describe the protocols David Schmidt used in your cycles at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Marsha Kennedy)
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Schmidt at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Benediva is straight forward and honest. Some may interpret this as having not a great bedside manner but I felt very informed and cared for during the process. He is an expert in the field and will give you the best treatment possible for whatever your case may be. There were times where he personally called me on the phone to discuss plans or results. I am so thankful for everything he has done for us!...Don’t take his serious attitude the wrong way! He cares about giving you the best chance at pregnancy and is a true expert!
Appointments were always timely and they were quick and efficient [at UCONN Medical]. The financial team is fantastic as are the receptionists. The bloodwork team is quick and professional. I had a great experience with the people who did my retrieval and transfer too!...The nursing staff is amazing! They make sure you are comfortable and understand each step of the process. They were easy to communicate with and I almost always heard back the same day when I had a question.
PCOS, Unexplained
He is very thorough in his explanation. He saw me whenever I had a worry in the early stages of my pregnancy.
For IUI cycles I took letrozole. This produced great outcomes every time. Producing one follicle for each cycle. For IVF I took gonal f, estradiol patches, cetrotide, estrace and pio. I had issues growing a thick lining during ivf and used both extra patches and the estrace pill. I had a great reaction to the egg retrieval meds, producing 31 eggs! I was closely monitored and meds were adjusted as needed!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Deb Raboin)
Appointments were always timely and they were quick and efficient. The financial team is fantastic as are the receptionists. The bloodwork team is quick and professional. I had a great experience with the people who did my retrieval and transfer too!
Some mornings were busier than others but they were very efficient. I don’t believe I waited for more than 15 minutes to be taken in.
I was lucky enough to have mosh covered. I payed a copay for visits, 1500 for retrieval and freezing, and 2800 for PGS.
There was never a thought for us to do a multiple embryo transfer since this was my first transfer and we had done PGS.
Farmington

Dr Schmidt is wonderful. ... He is one of the few doctors anywhere that asks if I am comfortable or in pain during every procedure My husband always asks a thousand questions, even some which may sound stupid, but Dr. Schmidt answered them all patiently and with great understanding. ... As I am under 35, he was only able to transfer one embryo ... He is very knowledgeable and shows great compassion.
the clinic [Center for Advanced Repro] has a discounted self-pay range depending on income for IVF which includes all costs except medication (does include egg retrieval). ... Everyone there is friendly and ready to help. Most of the staff who draws blood is great even though I am a difficult draw. When I had my polyp removal surgery, someone called me everyday to see how I was feeling.
Dr Schmidt is wonderful. Even when seeing an outside acupuncturist for IVF-related reasons, the acupuncturist said Dr. Schmidt was the most compassionate doctor there. He is one of the few doctors anywhere that asks if I am comfortable or in pain during every procedure My husband always asks a thousand questions, even some which may sound stupid, but Dr. Schmidt answered them all patiently and with great understanding. He is very knowledgeable and shows great compassion. I truly believe that he is the reason we conceived twins during our second transfer.
Do not be afraid to ask questions, and write them down before you go because you may forget. Do not get discouraged if your initial plan does not work, Dr. Schmidt will find another way.
Our doctor was very patient with all of our questions. Even though there were several times spent with him that I was crying, he remained kind and supportive. He has a good, appropriate sense of humor and a positive attitude.
At first we used clomid and intercourse. Dr. Schmidt was then thinking about doing an IUI, but as we are self-pay he recommended going straight for IVF to get a better chance for our money. All my ultrasounds, bloodwork, and hysterosalpingogram looked clear at that point. Dr. Schmidt wanted to also do a water ultrasound. This showed that I had some small polyps. Dr. Schmidt performed surgery to remove them as they could cause miscarriage. Then the next month I was able to do egg retrieval and a fresh transfer. As I am under 35, he was only able to transfer one embryo at that point which did not result in a pregnancy. Three months later we did a frozen embryo transfer of 2 embryos (Dr. Schmidt said 2 was allowed now that the last transfer failed). We had a positive pregnancy blood test and when i went in for an ultrasound discovered both embryos implanted!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Marsha)
Marsha was my primary nurse once I moved onto starting the IVF process. She was always patient and understanding even if I was calling multiple times. When my husband and I were pregnant, we were not even at the clinic to see Marsha that day, yet she came out to both of us hugging and congratulating us. She was there through all the times of tears as well.
Everyone there is friendly and ready to help. Most of the staff who draws blood is great even though I am a difficult draw. When I had my polyp removal surgery, someone called me everyday to see how I was feeling. if I ever felt something was wrong after treatment, surgery, or a transfer. there was always a doctor on call and they would always see me the same day. At times, going in for daily blood draws and ultrasounds had long waits, but later on the wait time did improve. They take your privacy seriously and go through great lengths to make you comfortable even when you're very nervous.
The early morning (7:30-9) monitor hours are convenient for the schedules of most. Initially I could be waiting a long time if I did not get there right at 7 am. However, as time went on the wait time greatly improved.
I was self-pay for all costs. The clinic has a discounted self-pay range depending on income for IVF which includes all costs except medication (does include egg retrieval). We fell in the $10,500 bracket. Then the cost for self-pay frozen embryo transfer was $4,725.
Describe David Schmidt's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
After being there for 2.5 years, this is the first time I had an issue with the nurse not refilling my CVS prescription. However, I called early enough that I still have enough time to correct this before I run out.
Farmington

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with David Schmidt at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).

IUI, 1 IVF
He [Dr. Schmidt] was a great communicator and always gave us realistic expectations. He never exaggerated possible outcomes in a negative or positive way. He was honest and worked with us to make tough decisions instead of making them for us or not providing the information we needed to make an informed choice....Dr.Schmidt took into consideration what medications he felt would be best and also how the cost would effect us as a family. This was very important to us. If medications were available that would serve the same function and were less money we went in that direction.
The clinic [Center for Advanced Reproductive Services] works well and I feel like every staff members works as a team. I’m always impressed by their level of communication and knowledge of each case. In order to begin any treatment, you meet with the entire team including the financial analyst. They are very honest and upfront about cost and also provide resources....The monitoring appointments were quick and well organized. Typically I would be in and out within 30 minutes.
European, East Asian
IUI, 1 IVF
He was a great communicator and always gave us realistic expectations. He never exaggerated possible outcomes in a negative or positive way. He was honest and worked with us to make tough decisions instead of making them for us or not providing the information we needed to make an informed choice.
Be honest and up front with your expectations and be an active part of your IVF team.
He was extremely personable and talked to us like people and not just patients passing through. He knew all our specific details and created a plan based on not only our testing but our conversations and life style.
We used a variety of meds and protocols for each cycle. Dr.Schmidt took into consideration what medications he felt would be best and also how the cost would effect us as a family. This was very important to us. If medications were available that would serve the same function and were less money we went in that direction. He consistently monitored me through each cycle to make adjustments as needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Marsha )
She is an amazing nurse who truly feels compassion and connection to her patients. The entire staff made me feel like part of a family. They are all invested in the process and are just as excited to celebrate with you and also be there for you when things don’t work out.
The clinic works well and I feel like every staff members works as a team. I’m always impressed by their level of communication and knowledge of each case. In order to begin any treatment, you meet with the entire team including the financial analyst. They are very honest and upfront about cost and also provide resources.
The monitoring appointments were quick and well organized. Typically I would be in and out within 30 minutes. On a few occasions they were a little more backed up but the staff worked quickly to move everyone along and were apologetic for any delay.
The first 2 rounds including my retrieval were covered by insurance. The third and forth frozen transfers each cost 4,000, however it did not include medications which ended up being close to 2,000 for each round
Overall he did not recommend multiple egg transfer during our initial IVF. Once we had a running history of miscarriage and negative tests, it was recommended that we attempt a multiple egg transfer. From the beginning he was very honest about percentages for both single and multi egg transfers. There was always logic behind his recommendations.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Bloodwork can be a little overwhelming, morning monitoring can get really busy but the clinic [UCONN Medical] does a good job of moving people along. The lab staff are all extremely friendly and compassionate (and really good at drawing blood). The OR staff are fabulous and unbelievabley compassionate- emotionally I was at a serious low point during my D&C and all my nurses and anesthesiologist recognized that and supported me in the kindest way. The level of compassion the entire clinic shows their patients is noteworthy!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
From the minute I met Dr. Schmidt I felt comfortable and confident being in his care. One of the first procedures scheduled for me was a repeat procedure that I had had done by a previous doctor. My previous experience had been traumatic to say the least. Dr. Schmidt acknowledged my fears and was SO compassionate and caring during the procedure with him. To say the two procedures were like night and day is an understatement and I really attribute that to Dr. Schmidt's level of experience and genuine interest in his patients wellbeing. And because of this, the results were much more accurate and we were able to get a better understanding of my infertility problems. Our first IUI was successful but unfortunately ended in miscarriage at 10 weeks. Dr. Schmidt was there to support us every step of the way in a way that made us feel like he took our loss as a personal loss as well. Most recently we've found out that we are expecting (and surprisingly not through IUI) and Dr. Schmidt has given us the same level of attention and care that we've received during monitored cycles.
Don't hesitate to ask questions during your appointments or follow up with them afterwards. In my experience, he will always take the time to answer them in easy to understand terms.
Not only does Dr. Schmidt take the time to answer all our questions during every appointment, he makes it a point to always ask about what's going on in our lives, how we're doing, etc. When we've shared personal information he always follows up at our next appointment, asking how things went. He seems to take a vested holistic interest in his patients. When we were informed of our miscarriage after a successful IUI cycle with him, he pulled himself out of appointments to meet with us, confirm the miscarriage, answer questions and comfort us.
Repeat HSG to assess validity of previous HSG results, baseline bloodwork, genetic testing for both myself and my husband, injectable fertility medications with monitoring, 2 IUIs (one resulting in pregnancy) and a D&C after miscarrying at 10 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Jenny)
Jenny was fantastic at communicating information in a timely manner and answering any medication related questions I had. She always returned my phone calls and followed up as needed.
Bloodwork can be a little overwhelming, morning monitoring can get really busy but the clinic does a good job of moving people along. The lab staff are all extremely friendly and compassionate (and really good at drawing blood). The OR staff are fabulous and unbelievabley compassionate- emotionally I was at a serious low point during my D&C and all my nurses and anesthesiologist recognized that and supported me in the kindest way. The level of compassion the entire clinic shows their patients is noteworthy!
My insurance paid for most of my treatments. There was some confusion at one point regarding a balance and the need to pay it in full before one of my IUIs could be performed but it was quickly resolved.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
If you want someone that will take their time with you on this journey and really make sure you feel heard and comfortable with all the decisions in your treatment then she [Dr. DiLuigi] is your doctor. She shows compassion and she listens to your concerns. ... She let me keep trying IUI even though I was struggling with them but she could tell I wasn’t ready to make the leap to IVF. We then had pretty aggressive medication plans because I wasn’t responding and she always explained what we were doing and why.
At first you are so overwhelmed it can feel very business like and not personalble but give it time as you get to learn then process and meet more people you will feel like part of their [Center for Adv Repro Svcs - UCONN Med] family ... Monitoring hours for the most part were convenient since they started early in the morning, only issue was it could get really busy sometimes ... My nurse was amazing I called her my fertility coach.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
She is the best doctor. If you want someone that will take their time with you on this journey and really make sure you feel heard and comfortable with all the decisions in your treatment then she is your doctor. She shows compassion and she listens to your concerns.
Trust her and ask lots of questions, she will always take Time to answer them. She is amazing at her job and will make sure you feel comfortable.
She is a great doctor I always felt like she took the time to explain everything to us. She gave her full attention on all appts. You could trage cared about helping us achieve having a baby
She let me keep trying IUI even though I was struggling with them but she could tell I wasn’t ready to make the leap to IVF. We then had pretty aggressive medication plans because I wasn’t responding and she always explained what we were doing and why. We eventually introduced Clomid in with my injectables ( I was scared to add it but she really thought it would help). That would be my final cycle after 5 rounds we made 4 healthy embryos PGS tested.
My nurse was amazing I called her my fertility coach. She was there to tell me how many meds to take, check on my progress and she picked me up and helped me refocus when I left like giving up
They are friendly and courteous. They take the time to get to know each patient. At first you are so overwhelmed it can feel very business like and not personalble but give it time as you get to learn then process and meet more people you will feel like part of their family
We had some insurance to start and then once it ran out we spent abt 15k
I only wanted to transfer one and that is what we stuck with

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
He [Dr. Daniel Grow] didn't mention PGS or give me an estimated chance of success on his own and I had to bring it up...My doctor did not communicate [his Eset Approach] with me...My first few rounds I very much felt like a number. I rarely saw him or had any communication with him. I had a conversation with him about my frustration with this experience. Afterwards he really made an effort to be more available, communicate more and treat me more like a person.
My nurse Shannon [at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services] is excellent and a good communicator...They did not call with the results of a pregnancy test when I was scheduled to take clomid that evening. I had to call the doctor on call to get the results...You may rarely see your doctor. Many scans are performed by random doctors and ultrasound technicians. Your doctor may not do your retrieval or transfer. They have a schedule for retrieval and your retrieval will be done by whoever is scheduled to perform retrievals that day.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
He genuinely wants to help people get pregnant. He was willing to look at my case and come with an individualized plan. He has a good bedside manner but you may not see him frequently. He was not good about communicating my chance of success and only did so when I asked after several failed cycles.
Ask him specific questions. He didn't mention PGS or give me an estimated chance of success on his own and I had to bring it up.
Clomid 100mg for 2 IUI cycles, no rational given. 1st failed, 2nd canceled for poor response. 1st IVF estrogen priming, 450 follistim, 150 menopur, no rational given, 4 eggs 2 fertilized 1 abnormal blastocyst. 2nd round birth control, lupron 20units, 450 follistim 150 menopur, cancelled converted to IUI, chemical pregnancy, originally no rational given but after cancelling he said it was an established protocol for deminished overian reserve. 3rd IVF growth hormone 3 units, lupron 20 units to 10 units, 300 follistim, 300 menopur, rational was that it tailored to my case. 4 eggs retrieved, 2 embryos, and 1 abnormal blastocyst.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Shannon )
My nurse Shannon is excellent and a good communicator.
They have a reputation of being a good clinician and they have some good doctors on staff. You may rarely see your doctor. Many scans are performed by random doctors and ultrasound technicians. Your doctor may not do your retrieval or transfer. They have a schedule for retrieval and your retrieval will be done by whoever is scheduled to perform retrievals that day.
Monitoring appointments are in the morning. I didn't know who was going to do my scan until they walked in the room. You are given a cloth to drape and given as much privacy as possible.
Insurance covered treatment and most meds. PGS $1500 for biopsy each time.
My doctor did not communicate this with me
Daniel Grow
Farmington

We see Dr. Nulsen usually every couple appointments. He has been very caring. At first, I believe he just thought we were going to be a quick case so did not pay much attention to us. After we got pregnant and miscarried, his attention towards us quickly changed. Since then, he has been very attentive and caring.... We have used letrozole and the trigger shot. We started off using 5 mg of letrozole but that did not produce any follicles.
Strengths for this clinic [UCONN Medical] include organization and nursing team. Organization in terms processes and procedures. They have also been willing to work with me on price and insurance issues. Weaknesses are probably similar to other clinics in which there are too many patients which can sometimes make for long wait times.... The nursing staff always calls when they say they will and always follows up. If they do not know the answer, they usually touch base with Dr. Nulsen and call me right back.
Dr. Nulsen is very caring but still remember to be your own advocate. The month we did get pregnant, was a result of a request that I had made regarding my care.
He learned who we are; would have conversations with my husband about boating; when we miscarried, he rubbed my leg and my arm and apologized.
We have used letrozole and the trigger shot. We started off using 5 mg of letrozole but that did not produce any follicles. We switched to 7.5 which is the highest dose they will give and consistently got 1-2 follicles. We used the trigger shot at my request because we were ovulating late and my ovaries would ache. This also helped time the IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Deb Jaksina)
Strengths for this clinic include organization and nursing team. Organization in terms processes and procedures. They have also been willing to work with me on price and insurance issues. Weaknesses are probably similar to other clinics in which there are too many patients which can sometimes make for long wait times.
We did IUI which was approximately $699 per cycle. This included all ultrasounds and blood monitoring. We paid an additional $125 for the trigger shot. We also had a D&C procedure which my insurance covered.
One time they failed to call prescriptions to a pharmacy because of a new software that they were using for prescriptions.

PCOS, Unexplained
Sometimes he [Dr. David Schmidt] was a little too gentle and hopeful given our complicated situation. He cares so much and just wants the best for his patients. He gave us a number of different options and we’ve had many follow up appointments over the past 3 years...He can be a little optimistic even when we were very burnt out, sad, and frustrated. As a scientist myself, I understand the statistics behind things, and sometimes I wish he could sit with my anger and disappointment rather than be super positive. We might not ever get a baby, and sometimes there’s nothing science can do about it. That’s an important and honest thing to acknowledge.
Sometimes it took so long that I’d be there [Center for Advanced Reproductive Services] over an hour waiting and my whole day was thrown off schedule...Strengths: Lots of doctors, close off the highway so it’s easy to get to, have financial and insurance people there to work with you. Weaknesses: Lots of patients so it’s very very busy, some front staff are a little confused sometimes...Kathy could not be a better nurse. She has taken us under her wing and shown us such care and compassion. We’ve been working with her close to 3 years and we’ve developed a strong bond with her. We feel like she’s almost family.
PCOS, Unexplained
Sometimes he was a little too gentle and hopeful given our complicated situation. He cares so much and just wants the best for his patients. He gave us a number of different options and we’ve had many follow up appointments over the past 3 years.
Always very kind and compassionate and treated my wife and I like any other couple (we’re a same sex couple)
Our first pregnancy ended because our son had a fatal genetic disorder. We got pregnant right away, so this was a rude awakening to infertility. We did pgs testing on the remaining embryos and found 4 of the 5 had genetic issues. We tried two cycles of IUI with my wife but had a chemical pregnancy and then a negative outcome. Tried to transfer the final healthy embryo but it didn’t take. We did an exploratory uterine surgery on my wife to see if there was a physical reason for the lack of pregnancy. We didn’t find anything. She did a cycle with her eggs and we got 2 genetically normal embryos. Transferred one and it didn’t take. In the meantime, we tried a retrieval cycle with my eggs again, but we only got one embryo and the genetics were inconclusion. We’re waiting to start another transfer with the remaining healthy embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Kathy Varkal )
Sometimes it took so long that I’d be there over an hour waiting and my whole day was thrown off schedule.
Insurance covered most of our procedures. About $1,000 for freezing, $1,400 for transferring my embryo to my wife, and $150 a quarter for storage of embryos.
One nurse was horrible. She was rude, harsh, and didn’t put in for the right blood work so our schedule was pushed back a month. When we got back with Kathy everything was fixed.
Farmington
[Dr. Andrea DiLuigi was] Knowledgeable and courteous. My husband and I did not feel rushed out of the appointment. She seems genuine about wanting to help her patients in their desire to become parents. Quick responses after treatments or blood work. I feel safe and comfortable during my procedures. She asks if I’m ok, checks in with how I’m feeling during my procedures.
[The staff at the Center for Advanced Reproductive Services was] On top of treatment plans, clean environment, friendly staff, returns calls on time. Knowledgeable financial team. Emails back and forth for easy questions and answers. They have a board with acupuncturist information, yoga and support groups for anyone interested.... Financial team was knowledgeable about insurance companies I was able to email with questions with fairly quick responses. They do bundle packages as far as blood work, ultra sounds and transfer if insurance does not cover.
Ask lots of questions she is happy to answer and take time with you.
Spent the time to explain and review my care plan
Daily blood work and treatments if needed. My thyroid level was higher than normal and she wanted to make sure everything was on track being moving forward so we could have a safe and successful transfer day. Another time she found what was thought to be a polyp at the time of removal it started to bleed I could see she was sincerely concerned for my well being as I had a very traumatic experience after my c section with my son and almost did not make it. She knew my history and kept that in mind and even quoted “so no harm” she contacted my OB that took care of my delivery and went above to ask his advice for future pregnancies. I left that appointment very nervous and she allowed me to come back to see her to be checked and to ease my mind. I want not brushed off at all.
Returned my calls same day. Spent time to answer questions.
At our first consult she made it clear the goal is to transfer one embryo unless she felt that the chance it may not take is high. That exactly what I wanted as well
Farmington

He [Dr. John Nulsen] was so knowledgeable and caring and compassionate. He was so patient with us as we always went to appointments with a full list of questions. He explained everything well. We went through a lot with him: 2 surgeries to remove my Fallopian tubes, one of which was emergency. He was so caring and comforting, I knew I was in great hands and it was actually sad to leave him after getting pregnant.
Strengths of CARS are it's success and experience and reputable doctors. Some weaknesses are that some people I know felt like things skipped through the cracks at times so you have to be your own advocate. It's also pretty busy so wait times during IVF cycling could be long but after hours and return phone care was always very responsive.
He was so knowledgeable and caring and compassionate. He was so patient with us as we always went to appointments with a full list of questions. He explained everything well. We went through a lot with him: 2 surgeries to remove my Fallopian tubes, one of which was emergency. He was so caring and comforting, I knew I was in great hands and it was actually sad to leave him after getting pregnant.
Don't be afraid to bring a list of questions to appointments
He was so incredibly caring and empathetic throughout my treatments, and he performed the surgical removal of both my Fallopian tubes and treated me for an ectopic pregnancy, he made me feel calm and cared so much.
Original diagnosis after ectopic and identifying tube blockage was trying to conceive naturally for 4-6 months before removing blocked tube. After removing blocked tube, recommended action up to us but felt natural conception was possible and repeat ectopic was low. Unfortunately repeat ectopic occurred and caused emergency Fallopian tube removal. After that IVF was only option. He recommended freeze all with PGS to maximize success, as well as Lupron trigger due to higher risk of OHSS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Vicki Hauptmann )
Vicki was very responsive and friendly. She seemed a little all over the place at times but was very nice to work with.
Wait times were pretty long at times but I was always able to be seen by my primary doctor even on weekends if he was on call. All doctors and staff were excellent so t didn't matter who I saw.
I spent about $15k out of pocket On top of maxing out my $20k lifetime infertility insurance benefits to have HSG, sonohysterogram, surgical removal of left Fallopian tube at same time as hystetoscopy, along with second emergency surgery to remove right Fallopian tube after ectopic, followed by IVF with PGS and successful FET.
I was very happy with his approach to single FET
Can't remember specifics but it felt like I got conflicting info a few times but it might have just been confusion on my end.

IVF, Donor Eggs
I really had a great experience with Dr benadiva. He was very kind and understanding and caring. He answered my questions he let us know what the best options were and didn't lie to us. He treated us good and I was very happy with my results. I really appreciated him taking my records from other dr's and how I didn't have to repeat alot of my testing that made me happy....He also explained what was going on with me and what the best options would be. He was honest and really listened and took his time with us and didn't rush us.
All the staff [Uconn Ctr Adv Repro S - Farm] was very nice and caring....Even when I did the blood work they were very nice and caring and we're pretty quick getting everyone in and out so we could get to work on time.... Kathy was extremely kind and caring and always answered all my questions...Everytime I saw her in the office she always took her time with me and helped me with figuring out how to pick my egg donor and always gave me great advice and was always happy to see me...I liked where the location was and just all the friendly people and staff....
IVF, Donor Eggs
I really had a great experience with Dr benadiva. He was very kind and understanding and caring. He answered my questions he let us know what the best options were and didn't lie to us. He treated us good and I was very happy with my results. I really appreciated him taking my records from other dr's and how I didn't have to repeat alot of my testing that made me happy. I liked where the location was and just all the friendly people and staff. He took his time with us and didn't make us feel like we were rushed. When my first embryo didn't take he felt bad and made me feel confident on the 2nd embryo I had frozen. He didn't do my first transfer and he did my second and I felt so confident and positive and he felt very good about that embryo and it worked and I am pregnant. Thank you
That he is smart and knows what he is doing and to trust in him.
He was extremely caring and so kind and made me feel like I will be pregnant and what I needed to do to get there. He also explained what was going on with me and what the best options would be. He was honest and really listened and took his time with us and didn't rush us. From all the dr's I saw he actually was wiling to help me get pregnant and I am so grateful for that. He knew the meds I needed and what worked for me.
When I did my first embryo Transfer I started with lupron injection and then I added baby aspirin and estrogen patches and then progesterone injection. My second one I just did estrogen patches, and then progesterone injection and still on the patches and progesterone until I'm about 12 weeks.
Kathy was extremely kind and caring and always answered all my questions. I know sometimes I seemed worried and had so many questions or concerns and she always was there for me and I was so grateful. Everytime I saw her in the office she always took her time with me and helped me with figuring out how to pick my egg donor and always gave me great advice and was always happy to see me. She made me feel that I was in good hands with Dr b and the while staff. Everyone was amazing and so caring
All the staff was very nice and caring. I really appreciated how everyone always said hi or good morning. Even when I did the blood work they were very nice and caring and we're pretty quick getting everyone in and out so we could get to work on time. I appreciate how they open the doors at 630 even though they didn't start the blood work until 7. Atleast we didn't have to wait out in the cold or bad weather. I like this location alot. I had a better experience here compared to Yale. Thank you
I only had 1 embryo ready at my first transfer.
2013 - 2016
Dr. Nulsen felt we would have success with the antagonist protocol, and started the next cycle. I was young with regular periods so he didn’t feel we needed the longer protocol...He was surprised that I did not produce more mature eggs during the retrieval, but my AMH levels were on the lower side...He knew all our medical history before even walking into his office. Dr. Nulsen first asked us what our expectations were, and what routes we wanted to take. He was knowledgeable and very kind as we discussed different plans. I had done a lot of research beforehand, and he was patient (and willing) to answer any of my questions.
Monitoring [at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services]...was on a first come basis. Some days you waited a while, and others you did not...The billing office was incredibly helpful in all areas. Especially when dealing with insurance. Our representative was incredibly knowledgeable, and gave us the best advice. We paid out of pocket for our deductible and all medication. We were reimbursed for some of the medication through insurance months later. At the time acupuncture was not offered at the clinic, and we paid separately for that off site.
2013 - 2016
Dr. Nulsen was always warm and devoted to our best interests. He gave his best advice as a medical professional, and we completely trusted he opinions. Never once did we feel rushed. He took the time to answer all questions/concerns until I was completely at ease with our next steps for treatment.
Trust his expertise. He loves his work and he knows how to do it well.
After two failed IUIs with 50 mg of Clomid, we decided to go right to IVF. Dr. Nulsen felt we would have success with the antagonist protocol, and started the next cycle. I was young with regular periods so he didn’t feel we needed the longer protocol. Follistim, Ganirelix, and Pregnyl were used for medications. Followed by PIO injections after the retrieval. The Follistim injections were the easiest to handle myself, but the Ganirelix seemed to burn a bit. The PIO injections were painful towards the end with so many different bruises that popped up after 13 weeks. He was surprised that I did not produce more mature eggs during the retrieval, but my AMH levels were on the lower side.
Deb and the other nurses were amazing. They always made sure I was okay (physically and emotionally) and I never felt like an after thought. Each call I made they responded right away, and made sure I was at ease as the protocol progressed.
The clinic itself moved to a new and beautiful office at the tail end of our journey. The staff is always helpful and patient with anything I needed. You will wait sometimes to see the doctor, or to get blood drawn... But it is only because the staff really does take their time with each and every patient.
Monitoring was done first thing in the morning. You had your blood drawn, and then you proceeded to the other area for monitoring. It was on a first come basis. Some days you waited a while, and others you did not. I felt it was efficient as it could be given the time sensitive nature of the protocols.
Our deductible was pretty high, and that was due before we started IVF protocol. They were able to chunk it into smaller installments throughout the length of our treatment. The billing office was incredibly helpful in all areas. Especially when dealing with insurance. Our representative was incredibly knowledgeable, and gave us the best advice. We paid out of pocket for our deductible and all medication. We were reimbursed for some of the medication through insurance months later. At the time acupuncture was not offered at the clinic, and we paid separately for that off site.
UConn has a firm approach on how many embryos to transfer based on age and diagnosis. I was younger so it was advised for only a single embryo transfer. I completely agreed. His goal, and mine, was only to create a singleton pregnancy.

3 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr. Benadiva always took the time to answer my questions. Not just 1 or 2...I mean 35-45. I've come to his office on multiple occasions with a book full of questions. And he's gone through each and every one with me...He's a quiet man with a singular focus--to help you have a baby. He's going to explain his steps, his procedures, his expectations, and his concerns. He's going to explain what you can realistically expect. But he's not going to be your shoulder to cry on. That doesn't mean that he's not compassionate. It's simply that his goal isn't to comfort you temporarily...
Mornings at the Center [Uconn Ctr Adv Repro S - Farm] can be crowded, but it's a good reminded that you're not the only one going through this. Everyone there is clearly very interested in helping you have a child. I never felt that one of the staff wasn't genuinely concerned with my situation, even those who weren't directly involved in my treatment...
European, South Asian, Black or African-American
3 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He's a quiet man with a singular focus--to help you have a baby. He's going to explain his steps, his procedures, his expectations, and his concerns. He's going to explain what you can realistically expect. But he's not going to be your shoulder to cry on. That doesn't mean that he's not compassionate. It's simply that his goal isn't to comfort you temporarily. It's to help you realize your dream of becoming a patient. So, if there are setbacks, don't expect him to dwell on them. He's going to keep pushing forward as long as you are still willing to.
Don't be put off by his reserved manner. Know that he's already working on a plan.
We skipped Clomid as I had tried that with my OBGYN. He tried Letrozole first but I didn't respond. Then, 3 IUI+injectibles. Then ICSI + PGS + eSET. Postive pregnancy test after my first frozen embryo transfer He started with the less invasive techniques first. Because of my PCOS, he recommended ICSI to help with fertilization and PGS to make sure we transferred the best embryo. He recommended eSET as he's had tremendous success with PGS and didn't want to risk multiples.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Glorimar Diaz)
Glorimar was a great nurse. Very knowledgeable and organized. Also explained procedures in very clear detail.
Mornings at the Center can be crowded, but it's a good reminded that you're not the only one going through this. Everyone there is clearly very interested in helping you have a child. I never felt that one of the staff wasn't genuinely concerned with my situation, even those who weren't directly involved in my treatment.
I have a pretty flexible work schedule, so the monitoring appointments weren't too bad for me. Most were on a first come-first serve basis, but some were scheduled for specific times. Just depended on what needed to be monitored.
It was expensive. Not because of the Center per se, but because of my insurance. They covered 50% of my IVF procedure, but I had to pay for PGS myself. I also had to pay for some of my meds myself because I reached my lifetime cap on fertility meds.

3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Both a strength and a weakness--This place [CARS] is almost always packed. I know they've implemented new strategies to reduce the morning congestion, which do seem to be working. Everyone working here is really nice and clearly dedicated to helping you have a child. I never once felt like someone I interacted with didn't care about what I was going through...Glorimar was a great nurse. Very knowledgeable and organized. Returned my calls in a timely fashion and provided very clear instructions.
European, South Asian, Black or African-American
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Don't be put off by his reserved nature. He's already working on a plan.
Dr. Benadiva took the time to answer my questions. And I don't mean 1 or 2 questions...I mean 40. We sat in his office and went through every question I had--on multiple occasions. I really liked that his answers were straightforward, too. He never tried to sugarcoat things for me. He saw that I had a problem and he made it his business to fix it.
We skipped Clomid as I had tried with my OBGYN. I started on Letrozole but didn't respond. We moved on to injectibles + IUI. After three failed IUIs, we moved on to ICSI+PGS+eSET. BFP after my first transfer. The rationale was to try the less invasive techniques first. I have PCOS, and have had 3 miscarriages. Dr. B felt that there was a problem with my egg quality, so he recommended ICSI to help with fertilization and PGS to ensure that we transferred the best embryo. He's had tremendous success with PGS so he recommended eSET to avoid multiples/pregnancy complication.
Both a strength and a weakness--This place is almost always packed. I know they've implemented new strategies to reduce the morning congestion, which do seem to be working. Everyone working here is really nice and clearly dedicated to helping you have a child. I never once felt like someone I interacted with didn't care about what I was going through.
I have a very flexible work situation, so the monitoring appointments weren't really an issue for me. Most were on a first come-first serve basis. Some were by appointment. It just depended on what needed to be monitored.
Expensive--but not because of Dr. Benadiva. It's just the nature of fertility treatments. My insurance stopped covering some of my meds so I had to order them online from overseas.
2010 - 2012
[Dr. Claudio Benadiva was] Very attentive, compassionate, thorough. Honestly, I almost felt like he tried to not get our hopes up and was very realistic. At each internal ultrasound, he would say things like, "they aren't growing as fast as we would like", or "we many only have a couple viable, so we may need to do another cycle." On day of retrieval he got 12 eggs and 10 fertilized!
[UCONN is a] High volume practice. I was at first very overwhelmed by the number of people I would see in the waiting room, but they got you in and out. However, it felt very lonely in the waiting room. We all knew we were there for the same reason, but no one talked or looked up from their magazine. Wish more opportunity was provided to network with others while going through the process.
2010 - 2012
Dr. B knows what he is doing! Our first meeting with him, we didn't get the warm and fuzzies, but he was honest!
Very attentive, took extra time with me. When I saw another doctor in the same practice for one visit, i was very upset by the way I was handled. Talked to Dr. B nurse and she got Dr. B right away and he told me to ask to see him every time.
I can't remember the names of the drugs we used, but I do remember that after receiving a positive pregnancy test, he had me stay on progesterone for 16 weeks as a precaution.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Debbie Raboin)
Nurse Debbie was amazing! As well as all the other staff we came in contact with. They were in constant contact and returned calls on the same business day.
It was almost all covered by my insurance so I can't be sure. I know one cycle of medication cost $8,000 and I paid $70 in copays.
It was explained to us and they showed us the microscope pictures that all embroys were of excellent quality. They let my husband and I decide if we wanted to transfer 1 or 2. Two being the best chance to get pregnant but knowing the risk that we could have twins. We had twins!

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I felt like a number [with Dr. Benadiva] . Office visits while few and far between felt rushed. Instead of trying to tweak something he went right to IVF. After HSG no other tests to find out why were preformed...I felt he gave more care and consideration to the students with him, than to me and my husband. The patients!...After 2 failed IUI's I asked about either changing med or at least increasing the meds. Nothing was changed. Then he suggested IVF because my husband sperm analysis kept coming in with great numbers
Clinic [Center for Advanced Reproductive Services: UCONN Medical] itself is wonderful...Glori [nurse] is the best. She makes him a good doctor...First IUI he [Dr. Benadiva] went with Clomid because I'd used it with my OB and that resulted in a pregnancy(subsequent loss). After 2 failed IUI's I asked about either changing med or at least increasing the meds. Nothing was changed. Then he suggested IVF because my husband sperm analysis kept coming in with great numbers.
Other, Prefer not to answer
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I felt he gave more care and consideration to the students with him, than to me and my husband. The patients! I'm not shy, I know how students learn but when my legs are in stirrups I'd like to be spoken to, not spoken at.
Ask him to slow down. Either when speaking or in treatments.
I'm sure he's great and has done well with patients, but I felt like a number. Office visits while few and far between felt rushed. Instead of trying to tweak something he went right to IVF. After HSG no other tests to find out why were preformed.
First IUI he went with Clomid because I'd used it with my OB and that resulted in a pregnancy(subsequent loss). After 2 failed IUI's I asked about either changing med or at least increasing the meds. Nothing was changed. Then he suggested IVF because my husband sperm analysis kept coming in with great numbers. Made me feel like it's all my fault. Probably true, didn't need my doctor to insinuate that.
Glori is the best. She makes him a good doctor.
Clinic itself is wonderful.
Paid specialist co-pay for appts. My insurance pharmacy wouldn't approve IVF meds. My insurance did cover clomid.
He explained why he recommends single embryo transfers and I agree.
My IVF cycle was cancelled due to pharmacy not approving meds. That was ok. Not clinic fault. The fault lies with them on they never called to see about a different option. The pharmacy said no, and they never followed up with me. The end.
Farmington
Dr. Benadiva was very informative and let my.husband and I know each step he wanted to take in our treatment plan. He and his staff were always able to answer all of questions and concerns at all times...We started with test on my husband and then tested me. We started started with making sure my tubes were open and then he started with the least invasive procedure IUI. We did this for about 3 cycles with the injections at home.
[UConn] was very clean and always had different events going on like support groups, yoga, heath and wellness nights. Theybalso always had coffee that was a major.plus for my husband...Glory was always on point and very informative. She always called back and answered all my questions without hesitation...He [Dr. Benadiva] and his staff were always able to answer all of questions and concerns at all times.
He is very well educated and knows his stuff.
He was very down to the point and kept us well informed about each step of the process.
We started with test on my husband and then tested me. We started started with making sure my tubes were open and then he started with the least invasive procedure IUI. We did this for about 3 cycles with the injections at home. 3rd time was the charm.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: GLORY)
Glory was always on point and very informative. She always called back and answered all my questions without hesitation. Also another person have met a few times but i forget her name today (6/23/16) she was wearing blue scrubs with chanel earings really made me feel great. Once I was done with my ultrasound she came back in and gave me the biggest hug and congratulated me. Since my first ultrasound was ify. You could tell she was so excitied for my.husband and I and that she really cared about what was going on. Thank you so much for that.
Ot was very clean and always had different events going on like support groups, yoga, heath and wellness nights. Theybalso always had coffee that was a major.plus for my husband.
My insurance covered