Center for Human Reproduction

Genetic counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
21 E. 69th Street
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Human Reproduction to a friend?
3 doctors
Usually limited wait time [monitoring appointments at Center for Human Reproduction]. If you go early then you will wait because doctor does not come in until 8:30...I have 100% fertilization rate with this clinic. He [Dr. Barad] does not believe in using antagonists (Ganerlix or Cetrotide) as he believes it causes damage to egg quality. He does an immune protocol for transfer. Firmly believes in fresh 3 day transfers and is opposed to PGS testing
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
The strength of the clinic is its philosophy in an individualized approach as well as it being "boutique" style with limited crowding and waiting time. They are also very flexible with appointments including monitoring.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
Dr Barad takes a long time to talk to you and explain everything to you. When asked for statistics or chances, he would often say things like [My Name] is a unique person that should not be compared to other people. He never made decisions for me, but rather educated me to make my own decisions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Maria Vergel)
Very direct and to the point. They do not share information with you unless you ask
How was your experience with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
Dr Barad is a highly knowledgeable and compassionate doctor. He may at times focus to little on research that contradicts his own, however he is open to trying new things. I would highly recommend Dr Barad to anyone who has DOR or is of advanced maternal age.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
Trust him and expect to be there a long time during consults because he talks slow and explains everything. He also may give you a hug or rub your hand of something to comfort you. Some people may be taken aback by this at first but it is purely out of human comfort.
Describe the protocols David Barad used in your cycles at Center for Human Reproduction and their degree of success.
Dr. Barad believes in high dose stims and to retrieve eggs early, depending on when estrogen plateaus even if the follicle are small. The eggs are matured in the lab. I have 100% fertilization rate with this clinic. He does not believe in using antagonists (Ganerlix or Cetrotide) as he believes it causes damage to egg quality. He does an immune protocol for transfer. Firmly believes in fresh 3 day transfers and is opposed to PGS testing
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Human Reproduction.
Usually limited wait time. If you go early then you will wait because doctor does not come in until 8:30
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction.
Very expensive OOP. About 18K per cycle. They take 2 insurances (aetna and oxford)
Describe David Barad's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Human Reproduction.
He will do what makes sense and take into account what the patient wants. If you are older or have a history of failed transfers he will transfer 3+
Center for Human Reproduction
Because its a small clinic [Ctr for Human Reproduction] it feels more intimate than most places. The front desk is open and so there’s little privacy when discussing procedures and billing. There is very little wait time during monitoring appointments...There was very little wait time. Labs were performed efficiently. On rare occasion it seemed understaffed and so there could be a wait slightly longer than usual.
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
Because its a small clinic it feels more intimate than most places. The front desk is open and so there’s little privacy when discussing procedures and billing. There is very little wait time during monitoring appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Norbert Gleicher at Center for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Gleicher spent a good amount of time with us during each consultation. The office is small and there only a few doctors and nurses so you get to know most of the people at the office.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Maria)
Maria answered all my emails. She was there the day of my retrieval as well as the day of my transfer.
How was your experience with Norbert Gleicher at Center for Human Reproduction?
He seems to have ideas that are different than most other IVF doctors. He is able to justify his rationale for doing things the way he does. He is a good communicator. He is very thorough in his explanations and approaches. He gave us hope with a different approach.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Norbert Gleicher at Center for Human Reproduction?
He seems compassionate. He is very knowledgeable. He has a scientist type of demeanor and actually doesn’t do retrievals or transfers. He never saw me for a monitoring appointment. But I felt like My treatment was based on his recommendations at all times.
Describe the protocols Norbert Gleicher used in your cycles at Center for Human Reproduction and their degree of success.
I was given DHEA prior to treatment. During my stimulation cycle, I was treated with 150 menopur and 450 of gonal f. I was given doxycycline, prednisone, baby aspirin and lovenox. I triggered with HCG. After transfer I was given intravaginal estrogen and progesterone as well as progesterone in oil.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Norbert Gleicher at Center for Human Reproduction.
It was about 15K for monitoring, retrieval and fresh transfer.
Describe Norbert Gleicher's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Human Reproduction.
My husband and I decided on the day of the transfer along with the doctor (not Dr. Gleicher) to transfer all our 3 day fresh embryos. 3 out of the 6 were high grade.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
The nursing staff [at CHR] is great. They are well organized, and you have a nurse that only deals with you. That cuts down on a lot of explanation time. The phlebotomist is also fantastic. I have very difficult veins (they're really deep), and most phlebotomists can't find them, stick me several times or move the needle - she got it every single time.... It's in a renovated brownstone, small and a little claustrophobic. They're all very compassionate and caring, everyone (except for Dr. Kushnir, who seems miserable all of the time). They get back to you in a reasonable amount of time, the nurses usually email you back in a reasonable amount of time, and everyone knows what's going on.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
Dr. Barad always remembered details about me & my husband, and was very kind to both of us. After my egg retrievals, we would go into the lobby, find my husband and give him an update. I had one dedicated nurse, who was familiar with me and I only communicated with her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Dorota)
The nursing staff is great. They are well organized, and you have a nurse that only deals with you. That cuts down on a lot of explanation time. The phlebotomist is also fantastic. I have very difficult veins (they're really deep), and most phlebotomists can't find them, stick me several times or move the needle - she got it every single time.
How was your experience with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Barad is wonderful. He is a little old fashioned, in that he only does fresh transfers, which is the only reason why we went to another clinic. He treats you like a person, not just a number. He always took the time with both me and my husband to answer any questions. The only bad thing is that he tells you to email him and then doesn't return those emails. Other than that, he's great.
Protocol used for all cycles was the same: 75mg DHEA 1000 mg CoQ10 Synthroid Plaquinal 450 IU Gonal F 150 IU Menopur Estrogen Patches I think they do basically the same protocol for everyone.
You went up the waiting room, and there never seemed to be more than 4 people waiting. There was only once that there was more, and I had to awkwardly stand in the hall. It's a small, narrow building.
Every cycle was roughly $15,000 including medication.
They do multiple embryo transfers.
Center for Human Reproduction
It is good clinic [Ctr for Human Reproduction] that does quite a bit of research so you know that they will consider "difficult" cases. They also do clinical trials and take out of State Patients....Dorota is very kind and warm. You truly feel that she knows you well and is with you in this. The only challenge they have a small team of very busy nurses who are the only point of contact between you and the doctor.
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
It is good clinic that does quite a bit of research so you know that they will consider "difficult" cases. They also do clinical trials and take out of State Patients. The main challenge is that it is a small team with one Dr that does not perform any medical action (so only two Dr on that front) and a small team of coordinating nurses. I think my feeling of them dropping the ball and treating me as a number might be due to the fact that they have more patients that what they can really handle. So you need to advocate for yourself all the time and be on top of everything (which ends up being a bit exhausting during a process that is already not very easy...).
While the relation with the coordinating nurse was good (although far from perfect), I have had meetings with Dr Gleicher where it was absolutely OBVIOUS that he had not even read my file prior to the meeting and he was just making comments on the spot (flipping the pages on my file while talking, making mistakes on test results, not remembering the outcome of previous cycles...). This really gave me the impression that he was not paying attention to each case. This was particularly shocking when I met him for a follow up appointment after a failed cycle where I was really hoping to use that time with him to have a substantive talk about what happened and what the next steps would be.
Dorota is very kind and warm. You truly feel that she knows you well and is with you in this. The only challenge they have a small team of very busy nurses who are the only point of contact between you and the doctor. Therefore when I sent her questions by email 1) I sometimes did not get an answer or very late, 2) sometime I would get ye/no answers without much explanation, 3) I was not always sure that the questions were communicated to the Dr.
How was your experience with Norbert Gleicher at Center for Human Reproduction?
I was grateful to Dr Gleicher and CHR for taking my case, as another clinic had rejected me after my DOR diagnostic. I gave me hope that someone was willing to take on a difficult case (so that is very positive and I am very thankful for that). It is important to note that Dr Gleicher does not perform any procedures. So while you have appointments with him to discuss protocol prior to starting a cycle and you meet with him in case of negative outcome, only Dr Barad and Kushnir do the ultrasounds/retrievals/transfers etc. So this already adds a challenge, as I sometimes had the impression that the communication between doctors was not up to par, and therefore I ended up falling through the cracks. Also, the communication after the first appointment is exclusively done through the coordinating nurse. So whatever question you may have about ANY thing goes through the nurse, except if you keep your list of questions for when you do the monitoring and then you get to ask Dr K or Dr B in person (but even that is not necessary great as I just feel more reassured knowing that there is ONE doctor who has the complete overview of my case). My first cycle went well (all the way to transfer but had a BFN) as I felt that, as a new patient, the Doctors were paying attention to each step of the cycle and were closely monitoring me. That feeling started to fade at the second cycle, where the decision to trigger was taken by the Dr on call for the weekend (and I think without consultation with Dr Gleicher) and ended up being too soon and with absolutely no egg retrieved. I was pretty distressed at that point but still felt new to this whole IVF thing and did not learn to advocate for myself yet. For the third cycle, Dr Gleicher proposed to put me under a new protocol. This gave me renewed hope. However, when I started the new cycle, I ended up ovulating spontaneously very quickly despite being on Lupron. The feedback I got was that maybe I had not taken the meds properly (I knew I had respected the protocol but was very willing to blame myself for this failure...). During the follow up appointment I was even more lost as it was clear that Dr Gleicher had not read my file and was just discovering some of my hormone levels as we were talking... He suggested doing another cycle back to back with the exact same protocol, which I did, paying even more religious attention to the time of my injections! We started the fourth cycle, and after about a week, I got the news that I had ovulated - again!! This time I was absolutely sure I had taken the meds perfectly. I was so distressed that I asked if there was any chance we could retrieve anything. The nurse told me that if I wanted I could convert this to an IUI (if I want it??). Which I did (only to discover during a second opinion appointment with another Dr that my hormone levels clearly showed that I had ovulated at least a couple of days before and therefore the IUI was just pointless). Overall, I have the impression that the level of attention paid to my case decreased tremendously after the first cycle, and I just became a number.
Of you are keen on trying CHR, I would recommend going with Dr Kushnir instead of Dr Gleicher. He is the one doing the monitoring during the week (and on rotation every other weekend) so at least there would more consistency and less risk of info falling through the cracks. They have weekly staff meetings so the 3 Dr talk and if there is a need to consult Dr Gleicher Dr K would surely do it. If you already are with Dr Gleicher, I would just recommend that you warn the nurse that you will have loads of questions when you meet Dr Gleicher at the beginning/end of your cycle so that he will be more prepared. For the follow up of my 4th cycle, I had told her that I was expecting a full review of my 4 cycles during that discussion and that led to a more substantive discussion...
- priming with estradial patches or pills - lurpon - follistim 450/day - two vials of menopur/day - estrace 3x/day orally and vaginally to support lining growth (I was on vaginal viagra for one cycle but the combo of that and loads of estrace led to my lining crashing before the retrieval) - prednisone and baby aspirin (he said that some of my test indicated a hint of auto-immune problem) - lovenox and PIO after transfer
It was a relatively well oiled machine that was convenient for my schedule.
First cycle was out of pocket and cost about 13K (without meds) and another 10K of med from their recommended pharmacy (as I was on very high doses of stimulation for about two weeks and I did not know I would shop around...). After that I changed insurance and the cycle and some of the meds were covered.
in my case I only had two embryos and he indicated that for my age bracket it was better to transfer both to increase my chances.
Center for Human Reproduction
Strengths: They [Center for Human Reproduction] really seem to believe that patients should be the one to make their own life decisions with full information, which we appreciated. Lots of research going on at the center, which seems to result in strategies that don't exist at other IVF centers, like the early retrieval protocol we used.... Weaknesses: They take very few insurances. Ours (BCBS) wasn't in network. They also require full payment upfront. Sometimes I had to play phone tag with their staff (nurses and front desk), though most things could be handled through email.
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
Strengths: They really seem to believe that patients should be the one to make their own life decisions with full information, which we appreciated. Lots of research going on at the center, which seems to result in strategies that don't exist at other IVF centers, like the early retrieval protocol we used. It's a small, private center. We felt like we knew everyone and everyone greeted us with our names, which felt great during this difficult time. Weaknesses: They take very few insurances. Ours (BCBS) wasn't in network. They also require full payment upfront. Sometimes I had to play phone tag with their staff (nurses and front desk), though most things could be handled through email.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Vitaly Kushnir at Center for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Kushnir spent nearly an hour for our consultation, while other doctors almost immediately dismissed us as too old to even try with our own eggs. After taking detailed history on us and reviewing test results, he laid out what we would be up against, told us that we'd be far more likely to succeed with donor eggs (which we knew), but was willing to do what he can to help us have our own biological child. He also responded to our innumerable questions via email during my treatment cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Human Reproduction.
I was actually transferred to a second nurse after the first nurse left the center. Both were good, very efficient and clear, but I definitely jelled better with my second nurse, who was more openly compassionate than my first nurse. It's a matter of preference, though--both did a perfectly fine job explaining everything to me (I asked a lot of questions because this was my first time going through IVF, and I like to know everything), organizing the logistics and keeping me updated about results and what not.
How was your experience with Vitaly Kushnir at Center for Human Reproduction?
I went to Dr. Kushnir after another doctor recommended egg donation and wouldn't let me try with my own eggs. Dr. Kushnir explained that the odds of getting pregnant with my own eggs were low given my low AMH, but told us that he was willing to help us if we wanted to go that route. We had 2 IVF cycles, back to back, and I got pregnant in the second cycle. He said during the follow-up conversation we had after the first one didn't result in a pregnancy that our case was reviewed by everyone at the center, and he adjusted the protocol and timing based on the discussion. We had an early retrieval in the first cycle, but he went even earlier in the second, when the lead follicle was 16 mm. With this adjustment, we got more eggs and better-quality embryos than in the first cycle, one of which resulted in a pregnancy. Throughout all this, Dr. Kushnir explained everything in detail, and we appreciated that he shared the reasoning behind the approaches he was recommending, instead of just telling us what to do.
Describe the protocols Vitaly Kushnir used in your cycles at Center for Human Reproduction and their degree of success.
I already wrote about this in response to an earlier question, but here's what we had: DHEA and CoQ10 for about 2 months (to prepare my ovaries). During that time, they were monitoring a number of hormone levels that I can't fully recall, in order to ensure that the effects of these supplements were in place before we started our cycles. We also didn't take a break after the first cycle failed, at his recommendation. We used high doses of FSH and HMG, and hCG for trigger after 7 days for the 2nd cycle (the successful one) when the lead follicle was 16mm. Dr. Kushnir said the reasoning behind this early retrieval was to keep my eggs from getting "overripe" because my ovaries were maturing eggs in an accelerated pace, which he said is typical for women with low reserve.
It would have been great if the monitoring hours were a bit earlier.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Vitaly Kushnir at Center for Human Reproduction.
Around $18,000 per IVF cycle plus $2,500 for medications.
Describe Vitaly Kushnir's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Human Reproduction.
They don't believe in universal eSET, and let us decide what to do. We went with multiple embryos, as we were fine with twins and wanted to maximize our chances.
Center for Human Reproduction
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Immunological, Unexplained
He [Dr David Barad] was communicative and receptive to questions or concerns. However, CHR [Center for Human Reproduction] as a whole, including all 3 of its physicians to varying degrees, could do a far better job with patient communication. For example, for our first IVF cycle, we were not told that we would be automatically required to do ICSI and assisted zona hatching. We arrived on the day of scheduled egg retrieval and at this point were asked by front desk staff to pay an additional ~$3500, which seemed very unprofessional. Also, my partner and I currently live outside the U.S., and particularly prior to our first IVF cycle, at times it was very difficult to get clear, prompt and complete answers to our questions from nurses ("Clinical Coordinators") and staff. This greatly hindered our efforts to complete the requested immunological testing for CHR prior to the first IVF cycle. It took an inordinate amount of phone calls, clarifications and excess time to clear up what could have been resolved in a couple hours with clearer and timelier answers and better communication.
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
I think I've answered this question already in my previous responses.
Dr. Barad is very kind and is receptive to questions / concerns. He has a warm manner and seemed to understand how terrifying and profoundly disturbing this process can be.
I had a hard time getting clear, timely and complete answers to questions with my initial coordinator at CHR, Ella. We were communicating from outside the U.S. and needed very clear information about what tests CHR was requesting and how to get blood samples shipped to CHR, and trying to get clear and complete answers from our coordinator and the nursing staff was a complete nightmare. Ultimately I asked to speak with a supervisor, and the nursing supervisor took over. It was an unpleasant experience. We later worked with Maria, who was much more reliable, although not easy to reach directly and not particularly warm or communicative.
How was your experience with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
I am an older patient in terms of fertility treatment, which is difficult in and of itself. Dr. Barad and CHR do present themselves as specializing in older women, which of course helped me feel somewhat better and, as a long-distance patient, this was the primary reason I chose CHR. Dr. Barad was noticeably kinder and more reassuring in his manner (despite the abysmal statistics we have faced and still face in this process). He was communicative and receptive to questions or concerns. However, CHR as a whole, including all 3 of its physicians to varying degrees, could do a far better job with patient communication. For example, for our first IVF cycle, we were not told that we would be automatically required to do ICSI and assisted zona hatching. We arrived on the day of scheduled egg retrieval and at this point were asked by front desk staff to pay an additional ~$3500, which seemed very unprofessional. Also, my partner and I currently live outside the U.S., and particularly prior to our first IVF cycle, at times it was very difficult to get clear, prompt and complete answers to our questions from nurses ("Clinical Coordinators") and staff. This greatly hindered our efforts to complete the requested immunological testing for CHR prior to the first IVF cycle. It took an inordinate amount of phone calls, clarifications and excess time to clear up what could have been resolved in a couple hours with clearer and timelier answers and better communication.
Ask all the questions you have; be very clear about what information you need and have questions prepared ahead of time. You get very little designated face-to-face time with physicians at CHR during a cycle. If you're struggling emotionally and if you're able to, let him know that this process is hard for you.
Initial ultrasound around cycle day 2, then Follistim (or Bravelle or Gonal-F) 450 IU QAM for about 9 days, along with Menopur 150 IU QPM for about 9 days. Daily ultrasounds starting about day 5 of hormonal stimulation process. HCG trigger shot timed so that follicles were not too mature. Egg retrieval 36 hrs. later, about cycle day 13. Important - NOTE: Embryo transfer for me was always on DAY TWO. So all embryos were only 2-day embryos. This is something CHR does often with older women. Also, we were explicitly advised AGAINST pre-implantion genetic diagnosis. Dr. Gleicher (as "lead" CHR physician) felt that PGD offered more risk than benefit for my embryos as an older patient. (This was of course in direct contrast to what other clinics had told us, but I was ok with it.) I had some evidence of an unidentified immune issue, so in addition to hormonal medications, here were the medications prescribed: DHEA 75mg daily before and throughout all cycles (I took less), CoQ10 1000mg daily (I took ubiquinol instead as I believe it's better absorbed), low-dose aspirin, prednisone ranging from 10mg and 60mg at different times during IVF cycle, doxycycline around time of egg retrieval, Lovenox (enoxaparin) 40 mg following egg retrieval, and daily progesterone in oil injections until pregnancy test (or 12 weeks gestation). Prior to IVF treatment, with my second (natural) miscarriage, I learned my thyroid was underactive, so I now take natural dessicated thyroid (a medication called "WP Thyroid"). Dr. Gleicher told me, as I understood it, that he sees any unexplained hypothyroid issue as an autoimmune issue. My initial immunological testing also found that I had an extremely high interleukin-6 level, which is indicative of inflammation, but not useful information in terms of any specific clinical cause or source. I also was prescribed an IV infusion of Immunoglobulin-G (very expensive) before egg retrieval due to likely autoimmune issue, as well as because Dr. Gleicher believed my partner and I had some HLA type I and II matching. (Apparently, Dr. Braverman of Braverman Reproductive Immunology, who we consulted with briefly, disagreed with this assessment.) Before my second IVF attempt I was directed to start Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) 400 mg daily to (hopefully) prevent miscarriage prevention. CHR prescribed Plaquenil as an attempt to address my high IL-6 level/suspected autoimmune issue as well as recurrent miscarriage. (I have since chosen on my own to discontinue Plaquenil.)
It was not too bad - we did not have a problem with the scheduling. It was however difficult at that time to ask any questions of the doctor, who always seemed quite rushed.
Because I was not working, and because of the current exchange rate, we qualified for the reduced IVF rate of $8500 per cycle. To this was added the following: $4200 per cycle for anesthesia, ICSI, and assisted zona hatching; $4000 per cycle for IVIg; $3500 on average per cycle for hormonal and other medications; $4500 per cycle for travel (from outside the U.S.) and lodging costs; $3700 (one-time) for all initial immunological testing needed before first cycle.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
She [nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine] was incredible with in-office visits too and seemed to work all hours... She gave me encouragement to keep going and was so excited when I got pregnant, and was equally compassionate when I found out it was a miscarriage...Monitoring was also professional. Everything was explained well, I got printouts of the images, there was a screen up above that I could see as well as the one the doctor was looking at. I did not know how often I would need to be monitored as an out of state person, so that was a little challenging at first and at times to figure out. I never had to wait long and it felt luxurious to wait in the waiting room which had an espresso/coffee and hot chocolate machine and often croissants.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
HCR gives hope and the feeling of accomplishment. Dr. Gleicher was incredible in all our Skype-calls (I was out of state). I felt they truly cared about my case. They took so much time to talk with us and help my case. They specialized with me in care at my advanced age to try to work with my own embryos. They always were honest about prognosis and percentages. I wish I had started with them 2-3 years earlier and that I had had more money to do another cycle or to start earlier - that is my only regret. I wish there was a program for women like me to get financial aid -- at 48 when I miscarried, I would have actually been crazy enough to try again if there was financial support to do so. I got very involved emotionally wanting to make a medical miracle and be part of their project of helping so many women through IVF and fertility treatments. This is not a weakness, but I do wish I had been encouraged by CHR to pursue more psychological care or advice to get that throughout or recommendations for mental care to support how emotional it was on all of the medications and the emotional grief of my miscarriage. I don't think I realized when I started how difficult it would be on my or my partnership, and there is not a lot of public awareness/support until I started to seek it out. I think if I wasn't so distraught and in grief after my miscarriage I might have jumped back in to try another cycle with my own eggs, or to pursue egg donor.
Dr. Barad was the most loving, caring, honest and compassionate doctor I've ever encountered, and all the more so because he was dealing with me at such a strenuous and difficult time as doing four IVF cycles back to back when I was at a desperate last attempt to try IVF and experimental treatment at my age. He related to me so calmly and with complete presence at each appointment including each ultrasound monitoring visit, egg retrievals, egg transfers, and then when I got miraculously pregnant (I found out two weeks after I turned 48!) he was equally compassionate yet honest at our first ultrasound appointments (which looked good), and then at the sad appointments when their was not heartbeat on the date it should have appeared. He encouraged us to wait another week to see what would happen, and when we had the follow up, he was equally compassionate but honest about the ways I could choose to miscarry (D&C or natural). He gave excellent advice and I felt he was sad with us and could handle our sadness. He also followed up immediately when he had the results with a phone call to tell me the results of the genetic testing and gender, after the D&C. He was equally compassionate and caring in that call, while being honest and direct. Lastly, I brought a prayer to say on my iPhone in my first egg retrieval, and although I really didn't know him well yet, and had no idea what it would be like, he fully smiled and waited for me to read the prayer before we began. He made the whole experience life-affirming and spiritual, even when medically it was very hard.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Huina Zhou)
My nurse Huina Zhou was so communicative from the first email I ever got from her when she was assigned to me case. I then learned she is one of the nurse coordinators and even more appreciated how much she wrote to me with detail and communicated with me promptly and with great connection no matter what my question was. A lot of my initial questions were based out of inexperience, fear and being overwhelmed by all of the emotional, financial and medical decisions. She was incredible with in-office visits too and seemed to work all hours, and told me when I needed to alter plans or come in based on ultrasounds. She gave me encouragement to keep going and was so excited when I got pregnant, and was equally compassionate when I found out it was a miscarriage. She is an incredible nurse. The rest of the nurses also who worked with me, even the front desk people and the phlebotomists, were equally present and gave great care. My nurse Huina also followed up with all my questions or concerns immediately, even if it meant bringing my question to the doctors in their daily meeting. She always gave my case to another nurse when she was off-duty and I always felt they knew what was going on in my case.
How was your experience with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Barad was compassionate to me. I was of advanced maternal age when I first started exploring IVF (age 46), and I was 47 when I started, and turned 48 in the last cycle when I got pregnant (and miscarried). Other doctors in other clinics/offices mocked me or said insensitive things throughout the process. Dr. Barad also showed deep respect and connection to my Jewish path and how spiritual the IVF journey felt to me. He also told us bad news with care, even giving us metaphors for how not to become invested in the early few weeks of the pregnancy. Although it was hard information to hear, it was helpful to have the clarity.
Ask a lot of questions, and in particular ask the practice (Dr. Gleicher and Dr. Barad) to do everything possible even if experimental in the first cycle. I wish I had fully understood about HGH and taken HGH earlier (I only did it in the 4th cycle, which happens to be when I got pregnant). Also - do everything else emotionally to prepare and ground during the IVF cycles as well as acupuncture right after transfer.
I was advanced age (47) - I took Gonal F (I think 450cc) and Menopur (I think 150cc), micronized DHEA 75mg (beginning 3 months prior to starting cycles, using CHR's brand), CoQ10, early egg retrieval (CHR's specialty research is amazing), 3-weeks of HGH leading up to my 4th/last cycle, and 3 day fresh transfers. First cycle I got 2 eggs (1 embryo); 2nd cycle 3 eggs (2 embryos); 3rd cycle only on follicle looked big so we switched to IUI (I think I was too exhausted and not taking the meds properly so that is why that cycle failed); 4th cycle I got 3 eggs (3 embryos) - resulted in positive pregnancy test, but miscarried at 8 weeks.
Monitoring was also professional. Everything was explained well, I got printouts of the images, there was a screen up above that I could see as well as the one the doctor was looking at. I did not know how often I would need to be monitored as an out of state person, so that was a little challenging at first and at times to figure out. I never had to wait long and it felt luxurious to wait in the waiting room which had an espresso/coffee and hot chocolate machine and often croissants. The office is in the Upper East Side of NYC and I lived 3 hours away. I would come in for appointments sometimes for the day or else stay over at a friend's. Parking was hard, until I discovered a parking garage by NYU a few blocks away.
Unfortunately we paid fully out of pocket for treatment and medications due to my age (my insurance only covered up to age 43 I think) and so it cost us a huge amount (over $60,000 total). I was able to purchase the fertility meds needed for one cycle while in Costa Rica on a short vacation for half the cost there at a pharmacy, and for the last cycle an IVF friend donated her unused meds to me.
CHR/Dr. Gleicher had great explanations for transferring all my fresh embryos since I only produced a few each time and since I was advanced age and didn't want to risk losing any of them through testing or freezing.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
I think they [Center for Human Reproduction] do ok with women that are younger with severe DOR and no other problem as they throw the book at it and will retrieve with low numbers. Their main embryologist is quite good and they seem to do well with 3 day transfers. Dr Barad does most of the retrieval/transfers and he has good hands/bedside manner. They do not do well with the work up and treatment of other problems as Dr. Gleicher is very stubborn about his opinions.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
I think they do ok with women that are younger with severe DOR and no other problem as they throw the book at it and will retrieve with low numbers. Their main embryologist is quite good and they seem to do well with 3 day transfers. Dr Barad does most of the retrieval/transfers and he has good hands/bedside manner. They do not do well with the work up and treatment of other problems as Dr. Gleicher is very stubborn about his opinions.
He was alway late to appointments. When he would get to you, he would say he had been dealing with a patient with difficult problems which was why he was late. Then he would rush me i.e. I was not important or difficult in spite of our repeated failures. My third appointment he took a call on his cell phone and talked the whole time in front of me about meeting up with his colleague for about 15 minutes then tried to limit me to the same amount of time because he was behind due to his phone call.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Huina)
Huina was a good communicator, she just was more of a coordinator not a real nurse, so couldn't answer most of my questions.
How was your experience with Norbert Gleicher at Center for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Gleicher has one way of treating patients. He throws the kitchen sink at them for immune problems and scoffs at day 5 transfers or pgs testing. I understood where he was coming from and agreed initially until it didn't work several times and he admitted he didn't know why. Because I am a physician, I karyotyped myself and my husband and found he had a balanced translocation which greatly reduced our odds of pregnancy. I was upset, because I feel he was just continuing to take our money without being honest about what was going on. He blustered that he wouldn't do anything differently, but the standard for our problem is ivf with pgs which he refused to do with us. I felt he owed us some money back for not being thorough and leading us down a path without all the info we needed to make informed decisions about what we would need to do. They kept saying we were doing do well and very much expected us to get pregnant. Meanwhile, I spent $45,000 with nothing.
Don't go there. Go to Cornell. They are much better, more professional and more thorough with better results.
I had recurrent pregnancy loss which he attributed to immune issues although all my tests were normal. He used the micro dose lupron protocol both times with good results at retrieval. Their lab got good fertilization results and embryos looked good. He put me on aspirin, prednisone, lovenox and ivig for immune issues without result. I eventually discovered my husband had a chromosomal issue which needed genetic testing to find normals. We lost a lot of embryos with the freeze thaw process as I don't think they do that much. I think we lost all our normals.
10,000 for ivf without monitoring (I did that at home). $3800 for ICSI and assisted hatching. $1200 for freezing embryos and $250 every 3 months to store frozen embryos.
Center for Human Reproduction
It's [Center for Human Reproduction] a small clinic which I like. Everything is so small but I think they are building a new block just behind. Overall I like the clinic. Wait time is horrible though....They give the same protocol to everyone. They are not flexible in customizing treatment. Lab is a chaos. Nurses are so unorganized. Dr. Barad is nice when you see him. But that doesn't help in the rest of the treatment. They don't explain what is going on during the treatment. They just see you for a minute, give you orders. Nurses are so poor in explaining and communicating.
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
It's a small clinic which I like. Everything is so small but I think they are building a new block just behind. Overall I like the clinic. Wait time is horrible though.
Their lab is so old school, they don't have my file when I go there for scheduled blood work, always so much confusion. The nurse coordinator doesn't speak English very well not gives instructions well. She made me panic at the last minute regarding HCG as I didn't have it in my hand and couldn't get it on time because of her not thinking forward and giving proper instructions. Same for ordering medications. They don't call back and let you know if there is a problem with insurance not follow up with insurance.
How was your experience with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Barad is very nice, compassionate and experienced. No doubt. But I also think since he is older he is stuck with his opinions. I also think that they try to push everything that's only proven by their clinic's research. In my opinion one clinic and 3 women is not of statistical significance. For older women with DOR they try whatever they can to retrieve even if it is one follicle. So they don't cancel cycles. I think it's great for those women. But they tried to use the same protocol for me even though I am 44 and retrieved 8 eggs. it didn't work for me and they want to do the same even the next time.
If you have no hope and only getting 1-2 follicles they will treat you.
1st IVF - 300gonal - 150 Menopur. 2 eggs retrieved, 1 fertilized with ICSI and transferred. BFN. 2nd IVF - I asked to increase Meds. 450 Gonal, 150 Menopur. Trigger at 14mm lead. First time triggered at 17 lead and the other two at 11 and 12. He thought we waited too long and lost the lead so this time at 14. 8 retrieved, 4 fertilized, 3 transferred. Pregnancy - D&C in 9th week. Trisomy 15. He doesn't cancel cycles. He doesn't want to freeze or do PGD. Does day 2 transfer. Said the same protocol for the next one. So I switched RE.
It's always in the morning. I didn't see Dr. Barad even once during me second IVF monitoring. Dr. Kushner who did monitoring is so grim and doesn't give you any answers or indications. Extremely Uninformative.
My insurance covered it.
Center for Human Reproduction
CHR is a great clinic. They are organized, well staffed and easy to work with. Their monitoring hours need to be earlier though, they are from 8:30-11am which is too late for me because of work. So that makes it hard. Everything else has been great.... Huina is by far the best nursing coordinator I've met and I've been to several clinics. She's organized, anticipates my needs, makes my life easier and communicates often and well.
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
Dr. Kushnir is technical and specific about your individual care. He explains things logically and answers all of my questions completely. I felt like he had a real plan for me from the start and wasn't making things up as we went along, which is how I felt a lot of the time with other physicians.
How was your experience with Vitaly Kushnir at Center for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Kushnir gave us alternate plans and helped guide us on which one was best for us based on our medical conditions. He was straightforward, but kind and flexible. He was always available via email and easy to approach.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Vitaly Kushnir at Center for Human Reproduction?
Ask questions! He will always answer them.
I don't know what the protocol was called but I was placed on Gonal-F and Menopur once a day, each and 2mg of Estradiol daily. They wanted to give me a high stim protocol to see how I'd respond given my low ovarian reserve. We're still actively engaged in the protocol, so I'm not sure about the results.
so far Dr Vitaly has attempted to either get our insurance to cover our costs or lower his out of pocket prices
Center for Human Reproduction
[The nurses at Center for Human Reproduction are] Very good on coordinating and follow up...Around $20,000 for a fresh IVF cycle...Latest technologies, friendly approach. Extremely coordinated and make you feel comfortable. Every procedure is done on premises. Professional staff and quick to get an appointment. I highly recommend...[Eset approach is] Single embryo...Dr. Kushnir is a very compassionate person who clearly understands the patient's individual needs and makes you feel very comfortable. Convinced me that I don't need donor's eggs unlike other doctors I consulted with.
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
Thoroughly explained what my issues were, and assured that I still have a chance to get pregnant with my own eggs. Very good on following up.
Very good on coordinating and follow up
How was your experience with Vitaly Kushnir at Center for Human Reproduction?
Everything is great as it is
450 IU of Gonal 150 IU of Menopur Early retrieval
$50 copay for appointment Around $20,000 for a fresh IVF cycle
Single embryo
Center for Human Reproduction
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological, Other
Office staff slightly disorganized but does do their best to help in a timely fashion.... There was a window set for monitoring. The earlier you got there the better.... The nursing staff was generally accomodating, knowledgeable and friendly.... Take notes, Write down all questions and be prepared for your consultation, don't be afraid to ask for clarification on everything. All the information is overwhelming, at a very emotional time and it's easy to miss things...each consultation is very expensive so be sure to do your best to cover everything in one session.
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
He looked deeply into the possible causes of my individual infertility...instead of just lumping me into a big group of infertile women
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Magda)
The nursing staff was generally accomodating, knowledgeable and friendly
How was your experience with Norbert Gleicher at Center for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Gleicher was the first doctor to look deeply into my medical history to find potential causes and possible remedies for my infertility...when my previous doctor had just immediately recommended I use donor eggs after my first failed IVF attempt.
There was a window set for monitoring. The earlier you got there the better.
Around 17k or 18k
2009 - 2010
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Immunological
Small, busy lots of foreign clients. Usually running special trial (older women). [Center for Human Reproduction is] in an old townhouse so does not feel like a hospital. All procedures completed onsite....Small team of nurses. Each played a role. Boos tests conducted on site. Nurses rotated being assigned to doctors....Monitoring hours were organized. Often busy but varied from just one other person to a full waiting room.
2009 - 2010
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Immunological
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
Small busy lots of foreign clients. Usually running special trial (older women). In an old townhouse so does not feel like a hospital. All procedures completed onsite.
Busy clinic often full waiting room.
How was your experience with Norbert Gleicher at Center for Human Reproduction?
Blunt. Will persist and get you pregnant if u want to be pregnant. He is a research doctor who travels a lot to share gains at the clinic. Very straightforward. Not a doctor that will give you a hug.
Know his personality is by the books.
Tubal blockage so went right to IVF and their standard treatment.
Most all covered by insurance
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
This clinic [Ctr for Human Reproduction] was very anxious to have me start my IVF cycle. My insurance did not cover the IVF cycle at all. The clinic also failed to provide the pre-authorization needed for my insurance to cover some of the costs of the medications. I ended up spending thousands of dollars more because of the clinic not providing me with specific prep information for my IVF cycle...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
This clinic was very anxious to have me start my IVF cycle. My insurance did not cover the IVF cycle at all. The clinic also failed to provide the pre-authorization needed for my insurance to cover some of the costs of the medications. I ended up spending thousands of dollars more because of the clinic not providing me with specific prep information for my IVF cycle.
He seems to care more about making money off of me rather than trying to treat me.
Very knowledgable and responsive.
How was your experience with Norbert Gleicher at Center for Human Reproduction?
Not a good communicator, not compassionate, cold personality.
don't expect a warm welcome
over $10,000
2008 - 2010
3 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
[Center for Human Reproduction is] a large New York clinic that specializes in egg donors from diverse backgrounds....New York, so most things were covered by insurance--co-pays added up, but was very grateful it was covered! Donor egg cycle was not covered, and I think it ran around $25,000
2008 - 2010
3 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
A large New York clinic that specializes in egg donors from diverse backgrounds.
Dr. Barad was consistently gentle with my body and with my emotions. He always allowed time for my humanity--and his own. He was a great comfort during a miserable time in my life.
How was your experience with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
I could not have been happier with Dr. Barad. My son exists because of his caring nature, as well as because of his expertise.
Make the appointment today!
2011 - 2012
He [Dr. Barad of Center for Human Reproduction] is caring. Good relationships with office staff and nurses. Willing to come in on weekends....He is more nurturing than Gleser. He will work with the best timeline for you family. I had a broken leg and young child and he convinced me to wait.
2011 - 2012
How was your experience with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
He is caring. Good relationships with office staff and nurses. Willing to come in on weekends.
Talk it through with him.