Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
9300 East 29th St
Wichita, KS 67226
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas to a friend?
3 doctors
They [Ctr for Repro Med KS] were thorough in explaining all of the pre-paperwork and helping us through that. We also had an emergency that required a change of appointment and they were very understanding and compassionate to our situation and helped us reschedule quickly. The only weakness we found was in the signage to find the actual clinic inside the office park.... The nursing staff always made sure we had the information form our appointment in written form so we could look back on it.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
They were thorough in explaining all of the pre-paperwork and helping us through that. We also had an emergency that required a change of appointment and they were very understanding and compassionate to our situation and helped us reschedule quickly. The only weakness we found was in the signage to find the actual clinic inside the office park.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laura Tatpati at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Everything was explained thoroughly to us and every question was answered in a caring manner. All of our options were given to us, and felt that the doctor was sensitive to the nature of the decisions to be made.
The nursing staff always made sure we had the information form our appointment in written form so we could look back on it. They pointed it all out explaining it was common to feel overwhelmed and wanted to make sure we had what we needed on paper. They always answered our questions and often had already done research on our insurance and drug costs so we could be prepared to make informed decisions.
How was your experience with Laura Tatpati at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
We felt calm with Dr. Tatpati from the moment she entered the room the first time. It was clear she had spent time with our files prior to arrival of the first appointment and knew our history and had thought through a plan already. She was very calm with our questions and concerns and was candid with us when it was needed. She created a good environment for testing and procedures and lessened anxiety with her confidence and knowledge.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laura Tatpati at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Have your questions thought out before coming to the appointment. There will be a lot of information coming your way, and she will cover it all, so having questions ready will help you get everything you need as it will feel like whiplash during your appointments because of the amount of knowledge she will share with you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laura Tatpati at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
IUI $500 total
2013 - 2017
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
I think the whole staff and doctors [at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas] are compassionate and very knowledgeable in fertility issues. The clinic was able to fit in appointments with my hectic schedule. They are open 363 days of the year and will schedule appointments during the weekend if need be...The nursing staff isbamazing.! There were times when I would havebquestionxs and they responded quickly and even by email.
2013 - 2017
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
I think the whole staff and doctors are compassionate and very knowledgeable in fertility issues. The clinic was able to fit in appointments with my hectic schedule. They are open 363 days of the year and will schedule appointments during the weekend if need be.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bruce Tjaden at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
He was very personable and direct. I thought that having a high BMI he would make me loose weight and he reassured me that my weight wouldn't exclude me from having children. Yes, he was on time restraints but I didn't feel like our interactions were cut short. All ofy questions and concerns were addressed
How was your experience with Bruce Tjaden at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Dr. Tjaden is very ept at repro endocrinology. From the first meeting on he set a plan that we followed. He found a fibroid and the week after he removed it. He also found a small area of Endometriosis that I didn't know about. His bed side manner is exactly what I need which is direct but with compassion. I have recommended him to many of my friends. There are not a lot of African American women who dicuss the stigma of infertility and he has made me comfortable with my journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bruce Tjaden at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
He is the best doctor there and follow the plan he has set out for you.
Describe the protocols Bruce Tjaden used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas and their degree of success.
First exam found fibroid, had it removed a week later. Also found a small amount of Endometriosis during procedure. From there had two rounds of IUI with injectables donor sperm. Took a break and got engaged, went back to Dr. Tjaden and did IUI femara and injections. Dear son is two months old.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bruce Tjaden at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The most expensive thing was purchasing donor sperm. My IUI cycles were affordable and insurance paid for a lot of labs and medicine.
Wichita
When I have questions [at Center for Reproductive Medicine], I call and leave messages. They are very thorough. For our first IUI, I came in with questions and the nurse typed up the responses for me to have...Sometimes, it is frustrating to always have to leave messages and wait fora return call (as my phone doesn't have great service at work) but they take that time to confer with the doctors and make sure the information they give is accurate.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Grainger at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Dr Grainger really seemed to understand the individualties of us as a couple and adjusted our treatment plan individually.
When I have questions, I call and leave messages. They are very thorough. For our first IUI, I came in with questions and the nurse typed up the responses for me to have.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
How was your experience with David Grainger at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Dr Grainger is very busy but really took time to understand our case and explain things to us fully in our consultation and I believe he will as treatment plan changes in the future. He was kind, open and even shared personal stories of his family's infertility struggles and successes.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Grainger at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Go in with an open mind. Dr Grainger was willing to let us be as aggressive as we want. I feel comfortable making changes to the game plan and empowered to make decisions for ourselves. We were never pressured into anything we aren't ready for
Describe the protocols David Grainger used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas and their degree of success.
We have unexplained infertility. At our consultation, Dr Grainger encouraged us to be as aggressive as we like, though we are both under 35. We first did 2.5 mg Letrozole, but no IUI due to office holiday closures. Cycle 2: Letrozole 2.5 mg with IUI OF 32 million washed sperm. Cycle 3: increased dosage to 5 mg Letrozole. IUI cancelled, due to low sperm count. Referred back to urologist and can't continue treatment until cleared by urologist.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Grainger at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
They went over our insurance and had us pay for most services upfront. The billing specialist called before the consult to let me know how much that would be ahead of time (about $250). For three IUIs, my insurance pays my side, but my husband paid $200 for the completed IUI cycle. I was billed for blood tests performed before starting meds each cycle.
Describe David Grainger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Have not started these yet.
Wichita
The strengths are the dr.s and staff [at Center for Reproductive Medicine in KS]. As noted before they listen to patients, are always willing to help, and are compassionate. We pay out of pocket and they've always tried to work with us to make our dream of coming parents true. The only weakness I can think of is their office hours. I wish they were open earlier and later so appointments could work with work schedules.
European, Latino
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The strengths are the dr.s and staff. As noted before they listen to patients, are always willing to help, and are compassionate. We pay out of pocket and they've always tried to work with us to make our dream of coming parents true. The only weakness I can think of is their office hours. I wish they were open earlier and later so appointments could work with work schedules.
At first I felt more like a number, but after a year of treatments I got use to the clinic and how it operates. I found they didn't mean to be cold or clinical. Also, Dr. Tatpati took the time to meet with me and explain how she really wanted to figure out my particular case and expressed empathy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas. (Assigned nurse: Megan Rolfs)
All nurses are friendly and open to answering any question. If they can't answer they always refer to the dr. and follow up. They are compassionate as well.
Dr. Tatpati has many strengths. First she is very knowledgeable and takes the time to explain treatments. She also shows empathy for what people with fertility issues go through. She also consults with staff and other dr.s in the practice. The only weakness I can think of is that when we first were consulted at the clinic she seemed very clinical. But, in hindsight that makes sense because she did not have much data on my husband and I and she did not know us well.
Listen to her advice and trust in her expertise.
Describe the protocols Laura Tatpati used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas and their degree of success.
She knew I had PCOS from blood tests and the ultrasound she performed. Also, she ordered a hsg and my tubes were clear. All of my husband's tests came back normal. She notified us that this was good news and I just needed to ovulate. We started with femara, then higher doses of femara, then clomid. With pills alone I was not ovulating, so she added injections and suggested iui if we wanted. We wanted our best chance so we opted for iui with injections. After a few cycles I stopped responding to meds and even overstimulated. So, my cycles were all over the place. She ordered more lab work because she had some suspicions about my thyroid and adrenal gland. Her suspicions were correct, my thyroid was too low and I had adrenal fatigue. She added a steroid to my protocol and a higher dose of levothyroxine and I started producing follicles for iui. I became pregnant on iui #2 but it was ectopic. We had to take a break as she suggested I take methotrexate rather than having a laparoscopy (that could further damage my tube). Months later we tried a few more times and on our last attempt, iui #6, I became pregnant again but miscarried early in the pregnant. She suspected something may be going on with my Fallopian tubes and/or uterus so she suggested a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy before we move on to more treatments. She let us decide, though she suggested we do to rule out other fertility issues. I opted for the procedures for piece of mind. The results were a small uterine polyp, a small amount of endometriosis, a damaged left tube from the ectopic pregnancy, and a thin right tube that may have caused my last miscarriage. She removed the polyp and the mild endometriosis. After the surgery she let us decide if we wanted to continue with more iuis since I got pregnant twice or to move on to IVF. We feared another ectopic or more failed attempts so we opted to go to IVF. She agreed, and said I'm a good candidate. I started stims this past week (on day 4 now) for our first IVF cycle. I am currently on 75u of menopur and 150u of gonal-f. So far my estrogen levels are right on track!
Blood tests for estrogen and progesterone are $85 Mid cycle sonograms are $150 Iui is $375 IVF is roughly $20k Meds are ordered through integrity pharmacy and range in price for menopur, gonal-f, ovidrel, cetrotide, and crinone. I do not know the exact prices for the meds because the clinic helped me sign up for a discount program that we were approved for. They also have given us meds patients have donated. Overall we have spent about $16k so far because we are out of pocket.
Describe Laura Tatpati's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Dr. Tatpati prefers one healthy baby due to the fact that multiples have higher risks. She will however transfer 2 max depending on the case.
Wichita
[The Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas is] Great to work with regarding insurance and appointments. I'm always able to get in early so it doesn't interfere with my work schedule...The nurses are always so compassionate when you call a million times to ask tons of questions. They will always give you the answer and look into other answers if need be. They have always gotten meds called out quickly.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Dr. Tjaden always gives many options. But also tells me "if you were my daughter"... Many times he tells us the things he feels are necessary and unnecessary due to our age or test results.
Dr. Tjaden often makes sure we know all options available to us, but the ones that will give better results. He makes jokes and real life comparisons when discussing treatment plans. You know he always has your best interest at hand!
He is very blunt and to the point. He doesn't beat around the bush. Be ready to hear what you need to hear without sugarcoating!
We started with changing my oral medication (changing from clomid to femara) and adding metformin. We did a few unsuccessful iui before talking with him and getting a new plan. We originally were going to add injections and stick with iui, then we came upon insurance that covered ivf and that is our current path. He has said all along this path would be the best due to the amount of time we have been trying to conceive.
Due to my insurance (Tricare) many procedures not related to natural conception are not covered. But iui costs at this location are much cheaper than other's I've had.
Describe Bruce Tjaden's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Do to my age, Dr. Tjaden has said that a single embryo transfer is best. Dr is concerned with the lasting effects having multiples can lead to. He says it's not that we can't handle it, but that it's harder on the body and the babies.
Wichita
Lots of weaknesses from the clinical staff standpoint [at Center for Reproductive Med in KS]. Unprofessional on the phone initially until they get to know you. When I was trying to become a patient they made me feel “dumb” and always blamed their lack of organization on “the fax machine” (I’ve heard that same story from many of my friends who have gone there.). They break HIPPA in the waiting room, luckily no one in there that I cared if they knew my business. After being a patient their for several months (9ish) they became more friendly and by the second time we came back they were great. Soooo to a new patient, yes they come off cranky and unprofessional but the outcome of a baby is worth it!
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Lots of weaknesses from the clinical staff standpoint. Unprofessional on the phone initially until they get to know you. When I was trying to become a patient they made me feel “dumb” and always blamed their lack of organization on “the fax machine” (I’ve heard that same story from many of my friends who have gone there.). They break HIPPA in the waiting room, luckily no one in there that I cared if they knew my business. After being a patient their for several months (9ish) they became more friendly and by the second time we came back they were great. Soooo to a new patient, yes they come off cranky and unprofessional but the outcome of a baby is worth it!
I felt that for the most part they were kind and compassionate. I loved Megan, Mary and Chelsie. I felt Deb was incompetent and always dreaded getting her. Thankfully I only got her a few times. The second time we went back in 2017 I thought Dr. Tjaden’s MA was as sweet as she could be. Can’t remember her name.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
My first impression of him was horrible. His initial bedside manner at our initial visit had me second guessing if he was the right divorce for us but we had heard good thigns so we kept going (glad we did). He was brutally honest and blunt which I appreciated. Yet compassionate and caring, he even offered a prayer after our first embryo transfer. He always gave us hope.
Look past the first appointment and always go prepared with questions. He doesn’t mind answering them.
We were lucky our insurance would pay for all meds, lab, sonos, and everything but the actual IUI and IVF. The initial iui in 2015 cost $200 each and IVF ran us around $20k when it was all said and done. Our iui in 2017 was $400
Wichita
The clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine] is somewhat accommodating to your schedule for appointments but other times you don't have e a choice and have to come in when they schedule you. The front desk staff is friendly and efficient if you have to pay a co-pay. The lab techs that draw your blood seemed somewhat disorganized when I first started going there, and once they were confused as to wha tests they were drawing my blood for. That made me slightly nervous. But they have gotten better as I continued to go there.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The clinic is somewhat accommodating to your schedule for appointments but other times you don't have e a choice and have to come in when they schedule you. The front desk staff is friendly and efficient if you have to pay a co-pay. The lab techs that draw your blood seemed somewhat disorganized when I first started going there, and once they were confused as to wha tests they were drawing my blood for. That made me slightly nervous. But they have gotten better as I continued to go there.
Things seemed rushed with scheduled appts and they do not tell you much info unless you ask specific questions.
They are very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. But I had to ask specific questions because they didn't just share all the info with you.
I have only seen her twice in the 4 months of treatments - at our first appt and for the hsg procedure. She seems friendly and did explain things thoroughly. She had decent bedside manners, and answered any questions we had at the time. But I did leave the first appointment with lots of questions.
Be sure to ask all the questions you can up front.
My treatment was using Femara (10mg per day for cd 3-7), Follistim (75 IU on cd 5 and 7) and Ovidrel on cd 11. Usually we did an IUI procedure 36 hours after taking the Ovidrel. Then I would take 600mg of progesterone per day (vaginal pills) during my 2 week waiting time. The Follistim was used for stimulating the ovaries to produce more follicles each cycle. They wanted the measurement of each follicle to be at least 16mm. The Ovidrel was used to stimulate ovulation for the timing of the IUI procedure. I have done 2 IUI cycles. One of my treatment cycles did not progress as they expected and I took triple the amount Follistim but missed the window of opportunity to do the IUI procedure. The results of the stimulating drugs have been pretty good but the dosage may need to be altered soon to get moreand bigger follicles. Taking the progesterone after the IUI for 2 weeks definitely delayed my cycle by a couple of days. My cycle did not start until I stopped taking the progesterone.
$40 co-pay each visit $100 for meds each cycle treatment (after insurance coverage) $400 for IUI procedure (not covered by insurance) Unknown lab work cost $400 genetic testing and counseling for both partners $100 for hsg test (after insurance)
Wichita
This clinic [Ctr for Reproductive Med] is small, which is both a strength and a weakness. The doctors and staff very much recognize and remember you, but are not as up-to-date on research as an academic center. The lab director only worked there part time, which ended up being a big concern for me. This center has recently closed their lab though and now only does the patient care/management and refers the retrievals and transfers to Kansas City.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
This clinic is small, which is both a strength and a weakness. The doctors and staff very much recognize and remember you, but are not as up-to-date on research as an academic center. The lab director only worked there part time, which ended up being a big concern for me. This center has recently closed their lab though and now only does the patient care/management and refers the retrievals and transfers to Kansas City.
Dr. Tjaden was confident and reassuring. He always remembered my name, my husband's name, and personal details from our conversations. He would ask questions and usually seem interested in the answers (unless he got focused during the transfer, which I was totally okay with!).
Dr. Tjaden is very systematic and controlled. He has a particular way of doing things, and it made me feel like I had the best chance of achieving pregnancy. Nothing is left to chance, he checks everything thoroughly before he begins, and is completely concentrated and "in the moment" when he needs to be. He is knowledgeable of risks and was able to answer all of my bazillion questions.
Appreciate the controlled system he employs during a transfer. He gets very focused, and the room goes completely quiet (which may seem a little awkward), but it is all for the best cause!
Dr. Tjaden performed 2 separate frozen embryo transfers on me. He prescribed 5 mL progesterone IM injections daily during both transfers. The first transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test, the second transfer a couple months later resulted in a positive test and pregnancy that lasted until I miscarried at 15 weeks.
A frozen transfer was $2,500 including all monitoring and blood work.
Dr. Tjaden had a strong preference for transferring one 1 embryo, based on my age (30), reason for infertility (tubal blockage) and that it was only my second transfer (his first to do on me). On my third transfer (Dr. Tjaden's second to perform on me), he was more open to entertaining my thoughts on transferring two embryos, but ultimately convinced me that 1 was still best.
Wichita
The doctors and staff [Ctr for Reprro Med in KS] truly care about their patients and helping them to meet their family planning goals. Everyone is very friendly and warm, and comforting. At the time I was a patient, the lab side and lab director seemed great, but was only part-time. For that reason I would never have embryos frozen/thawed/transferred there again, but this clinic has ended the lab side and doctors provide care now while sending all lab-related procedures (retrieval and transfers) to Kansas City.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The doctors and staff truly care about their patients and helping them to meet their family planning goals. Everyone is very friendly and warm, and comforting. At the time I was a patient, the lab side and lab director seemed great, but was only part-time. For that reason I would never have embryos frozen/thawed/transferred there again, but this clinic has ended the lab side and doctors provide care now while sending all lab-related procedures (retrieval and transfers) to Kansas City.
She is very warm and reassuring, but realistic at the same time. She naturally made me feel at ease. She spoke kindly and optimistically; however, if I asked her a question she answered honestly with data behind as many answers as she could.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Megan was amazing. She was always available for email questions, and provided her phone number should an emergency arise. She was prompt in replies, and I felt like she relayed questions to doctors appropriately. Her email responses were short and sweet, never rude, but not sugar-coated lol. I had to remind myself sometimes that she gets a bazillion emails a day from women going through this same thing, and that a quick short reply is so much better than waiting hours for a rosy one!:)
Dr. Tatpati is very kind, warm, and reassuring. She seemed knowledgeable and confident. I didn't speak directly with her often, usually through her very capable nurse, but always felt like Dr. Tatpati knew my case well and had my best interests in mind.
When you see Dr. Tatpati, you will feel at ease. You will feel reassured, but still leave knowing as much as you need to know about your case. Know that you can be completely comfortable around her, and that she really has seen it all!
My tubes are blocked, and my blood work indicated slightly lower ovarian reserve. Due to the reserve, I was started on higher doses of Gonal-F (300) and Menopur (150). After 2-3 days of these doses, my estrogen wasn't reacting as quickly as she liked, so my dose of Gonal-F was increased to 450 for 2 days. This jumped my estrogen up dramatically and my dose was decreased back to 300, while the Menopur always stayed at 150. I was on this regimen for 12 days before finally getting the green light for a trigger shot and egg retrieval. 16 eggs were removed, 14 were fertilized successfully using ICSI (slow swimmers), and 8 embryos made it to day 5. 7 were frozen and 1 was fresh-transferred. I was on 5 mL progesterone IM injections daily. On Day 10 after transfer I had the blood test that showed negative for pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Monitoring appointments were quick and easy. I was always in and out in under 30 minutes, usually under 15 minutes. A window of time was provided, but if that didn't work in my schedule as a teacher, they were able to accommodate with a little wiggle room. The blood draws were the worst, one phlebotomist was able to get the draw on the first try each time, but the other would try a couple times and then have to call in someone else, so I dreaded seeing her.
The doctor/clinic fee was $12,500. The freezing fee was $1,200 (I think). The medications were the sticker shock. Before we started, after seeing my blood work, I was told an estimate of $2-$6,000 for medications. My first med order was for $5,500, and we ended up spending $8,500 on medications. Based on my age and infertility diagnosis, my husband and I had estimated that I would be on the low end of med cost, so spending so much more was a huge surprise and financially straining.
Dr. Tatpati strongly encouraged me to only transfer 1 embryo. This was due to my age (30), reason for infertility (tubal blockage), and that this was our first transfer. She was willing to talk with me about risks and my interest in transferring more than one, but helped me see that at that point in my fertility journey, the risks outweighed the pros on transferring more than 1 embryo.
Anovulation, Unexplained
All of the nurses [at Ctr for Repro Med] have been great & answer any questions that I've had. They are polite, & kind...Everybody there has been super nice! I haven't had any issues with them. They are all great at answering your questions if they can. My only advice is follow their recommendations as to when to take you medications because they are pretty strict about all that...you will rarely actually see your doctor. The nurses perform most of the procedures & give you your plans for this session/cycle & the next session/cycle...
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
During our meetings, he took all the time we needed to get questions answered & to go over things with us. He was incredibly down to earth.
All of the nurses have been great & answer any questions that I've had. They are polite, & kind.
We really like him & feel that he is going to do whatever is best for us. He appears really down to earth during our initial consult & our IVF consult. He allowed time for our questions & never acted like he was in a hurry or that he had to get out of our meetings to do something else that maybe more important.
That you will rarely actually see your doctor. The nurses perform most of the procedures & give you your plans for this session/cycle & the next session/cycle.
Rationale: I have anovulation, unexplained infertility. With the medications they could help my body mature follicles sooner & with the trigger shot 'promise' ovulation. This would also give us the best window for our IUI to hopefully work. Initially we chose to do IUI's with oral medication (femara) & a trigger shot (ovidril). 2 IUI's & the last one done in November 2015, ended up in a very early miscarriage. April we started our journey again, but this time with oral pills & injections of Gonal F to help mature the follicles & continuing with the trigger shot (ovidril) with IUI's. April they had as stop mid-cycle as follicles were not as big as they needed to be & they stated it would take too many injections of Gonal F to complete, so we stopped that cycle. May 2016, same protocol: oral medication, Gonal F, Ovidril, with IUI. Then vaginal progesterone 2X/day until your able to test. This was an unsussful cycle. June 2016, exact same protocol as last month. Currently waiting one more week before I can take a HPT.
Insurance doesn't pay for much for infertility. I know lab draws are $15, but insurance usually waves that fee. $170 I believe for all ultrasounds, Blood pregnancy tests $70, I believe. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Wichita
General infertility education, as a clinic weakness [at the Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas]. I did a lot of research on my own, which helped with asking questions and making decisions...Relatively reasonable. They worked with me and my insurance to help make sure the costs did get out of control.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
General infertility education, as a clinic weakness. I did a lot of research on my own, which helped with asking questions and making decisions.
Dr. Tjaden was very down to earth and was very open to hearing about what our expectations were and he respected the route we wanted to go. Dr.Tjaden provided information that we could make informed decisions.
Dr. Tjaden has been at this for a long time; however he has not lost his compassion or become desensitized to emotions that come with infertility. He preformed my laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis and called the next day to see how I was recovering. We felt that he was very knowledgeable and trusted his judgment. He is very balanced with providing guidance without being pushy.
Write down questions before your visit, do your own research. There were times I left his office without having questions answered, and that was because I was overwhelmed or emotional, NOT because he didn't give me time.
Dr.Tjaden pretty much diagnosed me with endometriosis off a sonogram; however explained that it could only be a confirmed diagnosis with surgery. He explained the pros and cons of surgery as well as the option to use medication or go straight to IVF. Post surgery we decided to start at least aggressive and work our way towards more aggressive IF treatments. We started with several cycles of clomid, then Timed Intercourse, and with Dr.Tjaden's support we will do 2-3 IUI before moving towards IVF. Dr. Tjaden has been very supportive and has provided information to us that we feel has helped make decisions that are best for our situation.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
One of the most frustrating things that happened [at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas] was the fact that we had 2 appointments and 30 days pass before we were told about my husband's male factor issues. We sought help from the clinic under the assumption that I was the problem as I was having irregular periods, and it was quite a shock to find out that they had known about his issues for over a month and not communicated them to us... Of course, these results completely changed the course of our treatment as his male factor issues were severe. Also, they were exceptionally rude when we requested that they send our patient records to another facility. I will probably never return to this facility as a result of the aggressively inappropriate behavior exhibited by the support staff.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The clinic is small and does not offer the technological advances that many other larger facilities do and this led us to ultimately go to another larger (and better marketed) facility. I did feel frustrated with the lack of courtesy by receptionist/billing staff, they were rude about payment before services (all clinics expect this but many say it in a nicer way). Overall, I liked the doctor - better than the other facility we went with for our IVF - but found them to lack the amenities and support staff of the larger clinics.
The receptionists were terribly rude and definitely treated patients like they were a way to pay the bills not a person struggling with a difficult situation. On more than one occasion, I overheard office staff complaining about their kids right in front a waiting room full of people struggling with infertility, which I found to be incredibly insensitive to say the least.
Just depended on who you were working with. One of the nurses was awesome (sadly I cannot remember her name), the others were OK to not great.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Dr. Tatpati was not a warm doctor with exceptional bedside manner but she was very forthright about where you stood with regards to treatment, which I personally preferred. If something wasn't likely to work, she said so. If there was a chance she said so. She gave her honest opinion with no pressure.
Go to her if you are looking for honest feedback that is not sugar-coated. She is honest and forthright.
We did some medicated cycles with intercourse and 1 IUI, none of which were successful as my husband has severe male factor.
We probably spent around $1000 as most was covered by insurance because it was diagnostic and we only did one IUI
Don't know, we never did IVF with this clinic.
Anovulation, Unexplained
They [staff at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas] have all been friendly & have no problems answering my questions. They are pretty quick to respond after labs & such. As previously mentioned so far, the only nurse that didn't make me feel good about our conversation was the IVF nurse who was snippy & I believe tried to shy us away from IVF.
Anovulation, Unexplained
I feel as though I was human because when he sat down to talk to us it was at an even level. I didn't feel as he was the doctor & we were going to have to do XYZ. He gave us all our options & let us choose what we all thought would be best at this time to proceed. He didn't appear to be in a hurry & was there to answer any questions we had or could think of.
They have all been friendly & have no problems answering my questions. They are pretty quick to respond after labs & such. As previously mentioned so far, the only nurse that didn't make me feel good about our conversation was the IVF nurse who was snippy & I believe tried to shy us away from IVF.
He appeared to be down to earth & it wasn't his way or no way. He very much left our approach up to us & what we felt was best. I don't feel like they explained what will happen next. For example: they explained the meds which I was familiar with from research & experience of taking similar medications before. I don't think they explained what we do IF we were to get pregnant (like do I call my OBGYN & then they take care of me from here on out, or if I called them & they follow me for some many weeks, when do we increase the medication, etc.). This left some confusion. The only other issue I have had, is we did our last IUI on CD21 due to egg size/quality/uterine lining etc. I called to see if this was okay, or if should up the dose. The IVF nurse was a little snippy on the phone telling me "3 pills/day is our max dose." Okay thats fine, so do we need to stay on the 2 pills/day I am currently taking or should we go up? I didn't find out until my next appt that she had talked to the doctor & he agreed to up my dose. When I mentioned getting an IVF consult, she told me that it was expensive between X-X $ amount & that it didn't include the shots, which, "can get pretty expensive!" She also reminded me that payment needs to be paid upfront. I felt like she was short with me & slightly discouraging me from going towards IVF at this point. I don't feel like its a waste of anybody's time to discuss IVF since that is our next step!
Ask lots of questions!! How many rounds of this medication do you usually do, if I ovulate late 20-30's or later, do we up my medication dose/change my medication all together, or what is the protocol for that. If/when we get pregnant, do I contact your office or my OBGYN. These are just some basic questions I would ask that were never explained to me.
IUI, 1 IVF
They [staff at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas] take time, called me personally, gave me a phone number I could call 24/7, always willing to answer my millions of questions without seeming annoyed or impatient...They [nurses] are extremely friendly, relatable, kind, quick to help, readily available. I wasn’t fond of their financial counsel. Felt a lot was left unexplained...Ease of appointments (in & out) - excellent Comfort and cleanliness- excellent Availability for questions and appointments was excellent
IUI, 1 IVF
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Nurses - excellent Doctors are excellent Financial counsel - ok Ease of appointments (in & out) - excellent Comfort and cleanliness- excellent Availability for questions and appointments was excellent
They take time, called me personally, gave me a phone number I could call 24/7, always willing to answer my millions of questions without seeming annoyed or impatient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas. (Assigned nurse: Megan Rohls)
They are extremely friendly, relatable, kind, quick to help, readily available. I wasn’t fond of their financial counsel. Felt a lot was left unexplained.
He is blunt and very serious. If you want warm fuzzies, he isn’t the doctor for you. He made me somewhat uncomfortable at first because he was so serious and i find comfort in jokes and laughter. He didn’t like the. He seems very competent and I trust his experience.
Even though I haven’t had success yet, I do trust him.
Birth control for almost a full cycle before retrieval. I used Gonal F and Menopur for stimulation hormones before the retrieval. I had a sonogram and blood draw every 48 hours-ish. I had 24 eggs removed so my body responded well. After the retrieval it took another two months before the transfer. More birth control, 2mg 3x daily of estrogen pills, 1ml progesterone oil injections a day (suppositories were offered as an option) leading up to the transfer, and continued injections after. We did not get our happy ending and our going through the second transfer, same protocol.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
I do not care for nurses [at Center for Reproductive Medicine] as one is slightly rude and the other tells me different things every time I'm in there. The receptionists are nice and easy to work with. I do wish they would provide cloth blankets to cover up with when doing Sonos. Paper blankets aren't very comfortable... I felt like there was a lot of different protocols and what they were looking for. In a matter of 24 hours I was told 3 different things on my follicles and what they were looking for in sperm for IUI.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
I love dr Grainger. I do not care for nurses as one is slightly rude and the other tells me different things every time I'm in there. The receptionists are nice and easy to work with. I do wish they would provide cloth blankets to cover up with when doing Sonos. Paper blankets aren't very comfortable
He didn't treat me like a process. He looked into my history and listened to me
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
I appreciated that he listened, he showed compassion and he was considerate to the frustrations we had endured while under the care of another dr in the clinic. He recognised that we were not the typical couple and that the normal process was not what we needed. He answered all questions and let me vent when frustrated
Go in knowing information. Research the treatments, th drs personality if possible. I made that mistake and ended up with the wrong dr the first time
100 mg of femara/letrizole cd 3-7 Sonos starting cd 11 and every other day till follicles were ready Hcg trigger shot IUI two days later
We are out of pocket payers. So far we have spent $1500. But are waiting on the costs for Sonos still
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
They [the nurses at Ceter for Reproductive Medicine] were all very pleasant and worked well with us, especially when it came to appointments. They tried to group everything together if possible so we didn't have to make multiple trips... We started with 4 months of clomid and timed intercourse. When this did not work, we did laparoscopic surgery to remove my endometriosis, adhesions, and a polyp in my uterus. Then next step was IUI with letrozole, gonal-f, and ovidrel injections. We did 6 IUI. Our next step is IVF, which we are not going to do due to costs.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
They require payment up front for IUI. Be sure to know what your insurance does and does not cover before you start so you can ask what everything will cost prior to treatments.
She took the time to sit and talk with me. She listened to my concerns and helped me feel confident in our likelihood of a pregnancy.
They were all very pleasant and worked well with us, especially when it came to appointments. They tried to group everything together if possible so we didn't have to make multiple trips
She was very open and honest. She was willing to work with us the best she could, especially because we have quite a commute to see her. She took the time to explain everything. I cried like a baby the last time I saw her, and I saw the concern on her face. She took the time to listen and comfort me.
Be sure you understand everything. Ask questions if you don't understand. She is more than willing to answer your questions.
IUI was $400, ultrasounds, copay during office visits, HSG, Surgery, medications were from the pharmacy.
2012
As a single woman wanting to be a mother in Kansas I expected to be treated skeptically or to be judged. It turned out to be a non-issue for everyone at the clinic. Dr. Tjaden and his staff were kind, compassionate, supportive and seemed genuinely invested in helping me to conceive...Both of the nurses who performed my inseminations were personal and compassionate. When I had a break down after being told about the polyps and that I'd have to take a month off, my nurse was very supportive and helpful and shared her own fertility issue story with me.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Everything I had to say about the staff would apply here.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas. (Assigned nurse: Chelsea and Mary)
Dr. Tjaden was very straight forward. He explained clearly the possible issues I would face at my age, the purpose for the various tests and the results of each one. I was treated with respect and kindness.
Don't wait! Go see him today!
I was found to be a good candidate for IUI. For the first two cycles I did self injections to trigger timed egg release and I was given Clomid - which ended up causing polyps in my uterus and I had to take a cycle off to allow them to clear. For the following cycle I was given a different drug (I forget the name) and the same injection - I got pregnant that time, my third attempt.
It's hard to remember exactly, I think each IUI procedure was approximately $150 or $250. The fertility tests were covered by insurance.
2012
The nursing staff [at Center for Reproductive Medicine] was wonderful. Smart, caring, explained everything thoughtfully. The nursing staff is the shinning star... The clomid was very inexpensive, less than $20. For each cycle I had to have multiple sonograms, each $350. Trigger shot was $100. And the actual IUI procedure $500...There's lots of paper work but I believe that's expected to get the best care.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
There's lots of paper work but I believe that's expected to get the best care.
I left like Dr. Tjaden dismissed our infertility struggles. I remember him saying it would be so easy but it sure didn't feel easy nor was it easy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas. (Assigned nurse: Megan )
The nursing staff was wonderful. Smart, caring, explained everything thoughtfully. The nursing staff is the shinning star.
Dr Tjadenc came across very matter of fact. He didn't seem interested in what had worked or more like hadn't worked in our past. He didn't want any info from my fertility charts or what I had learned over the last years. He was pretty straight forward and seemed convinced we would conceive quickly and easily. However, we did conceive after two IUI, so I guess he was right. And we that's what really mattered to us.
He will be straight forward and matter of fact. Don't expect it to be a therapy session, where you can talk to someone about how hard your struggle has been.
We did 2 rounds of IUI. Both with Clomid/trigger/IUI. I did not ovulate on my own but with clomid was all to produce 1-2 high quality follicles on day 20. Our second IUI, my partner's count post wash was only 4 million. We were offered to cancel the IUI since it was less than 5 million. We chose to continue the cycle and got our first baby.
Our insurance didnt cover, we payed 100% out of pocket. The clomid was very inexpensive, less than $20. For each cycle I had to have multiple sonograms, each $350. Trigger shot was $100. And the actual IUI procedure $500.
Wichita
The clinic [CRM - KS] has been great in our experience. We have always been able to get an appointment within a decent time and everyone that has helped us, from calling to make an appointment or help with an insurance claim they have all been very helpful and kind...The nursing staff couldn’t be any better. They are compassionate and knowledgeable. They are good at returning messages the same day...When we have appointments I never feel rushed and get all my questions answered.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The clinic has been great in our experience. We have always been able to get an appointment within a decent time and everyone that has helped us, from calling to make an appointment or help with an insurance claim they have all been very helpful and kind.
Dr. Tatpati has always been very informative and answers all our questions. Miscarriages are hard especially when you have no answers. She gave us all the information we needed to make a decision that is best for us.
Ask lots of questions and she will take good care of you!
Our very first appointment is when we started all the testing. Semen analysis, HSG, blood work for numerous tests. Everything came back fine but my husband was referred to a urologist. In the mean time I was put on progesterone and baby aspirin when I would get pregnant. After 5 losses we have decided our next step is IVF.
We both agree that the single embryo transfer is the safest option.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Other
This [Ctr for Repro Med] is a busy clinic, but they will get to know you quickly. Be prepared to wait for an initial appointment. Everyone is kind and considerate. Dr Tjaden will treat you like family. He will listen to you. He will wipe away your tears. He will hold your hand. He is a wonderful doctor. His nurses are sweet, thoughtful, and caring. This place is the absolute best!... I have health insurance that pays for some of my visits.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
This is a busy clinic, but they will get to know you quickly. Be prepared to wait for an initial appointment. Everyone is kind and considerate. Dr Tjaden will treat you like family. He will listen to you. He will wipe away your tears. He will hold your hand. He is a wonderful doctor. His nurses are sweet, thoughtful, and caring. This place is the absolute best!
He is a caring and considerate person who listens to me! I underwent 2 ectopic pregnancies, and he was there for me and my husband. He personally called to check up on me. He held my hand and wiped my tears. He is such a great person!
Pleasant, thorough, kind
This office is the absolute best. I cannot express in words what Dr Tjaden had done for me. I have yet to carry to term, but he gives me hope. He listens carefully. He wants the best for me. He has such a warm heart.
Tell him everything as he will listen to you!
First, I had a vaginal ultrasound and an hsg. Then I started on clomid on cycle days 3-7. I had another ultrasound on day 12. I triggered with ovidrel 36 hours before IUI on cycle day 14.
I have health insurance that pays for some of my visits. I have saved and prepared for these treatments, and have not yet went broke!
Wichita
They [CRM] have never sent final semen results unless I called and asked. Happened 3 times...Front desk lady is friendly to your face but very rude to other patients on the phone even while you're standing right in front of her. Always seems rushed or irritated on the phone...[nursing staff] They are quiet. Basically in and out. Seemed nice and soft approach. But not very informative....I paid my copay and the visits were treated like office visits and covered by my insurance.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
I believe he is very friendly. His words were actually "if you were my daughter this is what I would suggest".
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
I believe he tells you everything he wants to do for you. Doesn't seem quite as open to discussing alternatives with why/why not questions. He doesn't spend much time with you after he is finished talking (somewhat understandable).
He is fairly blunt and is honest. He usually has good reasoning for his ideas, opinions, and treatments.
I had sonogram and labs on my very first visit. I liked that because I didn't feel like they were using my time or costing me a lot of money to take off work and drive and a copay. My next visit I had HSG. Things happened quickly. Which I appreciated.
I paid my copay and the visits were treated like office visits and covered by my insurance. I can't remember specific prices for labs, sonogram, or HSG.
IVF, Donor Eggs
[The nursing staff at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas- Wichita] Happy to answer questions, attentive, always called back within a day.... [Clinic] Strengths: organized, attentive, professional, kind. Weakness: not any I can think of... I started with birth control. Then picked egg donor. I started estrogen and took antibiotic and steroid leading up to the tranfer. I also used crinone gel. I continued the estrogen and crinone until my misscarriage.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
I felt human because he was genuine, kind and I felt heard by him and the staff. I unfortunately had to have a D&C. He hugged me and was very kind during this extremely difficult time.
Happy to answer questions, attentive, always called back within a day.
As a patient, I have never felt so cared about. I never felt rushed out. He took the time to answer my questions and did not push me. I have cried a few times in his office and he respected my feelings and acknowledged that my situation did suck. He didn't try to make me feel wrong for being upset when things didn't work or if he had bad news for me. I have really enjoyed working with him.
Definitely go meet with him! He is exceptional! Very knowledgeable and experienced. He has great bedside manner!
None due to health insurance
None
2014 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
I can't say enough about Megan [nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine]. She is wonderful! Very caring and informative. I never was worried because she explained everything so well and always made herself available should I have any questions. She definitely has your best interest in mind!...IUI was $350 IVF with ICSI was around $11,000...This clinic is amazing. Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful and make the process smooth.
2014 - 2017
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
DR. Tjaden took the time to answer all of our questions. For all 4 of my miscarriages he was very compassionate and always checked up on me to see how I was doing. He genuinely cares!
I can't say enough about Megan. She is wonderful! Very caring and informative. I never was worried because she explained everything so well and always made herself available should I have any questions. She definitely has your best interest in mind!
He took the time to talk through everything with my husband and I. He gave us his recommendations but still talked us through all of the options so we felt like we were making informed decisions. He cares about his patients and takes time with them. He never made me feel like he was rushing us to get to the next patient.
He is a great Doctor. He is very blunt and honest but is compassionate at the same time.
I was on a pretty high doses of injections due to having diminished ovarian reserve. He was upfront with me that we may not retrieve many eggs but it was the quality that mattered.
IUI was $350 IVF with ICSI was around $11,000
PCOS, Unexplained
The nurses [at Center for Reproductive Medicine] are amazing and really make you feel like you are not alone in your journey! They are also very knowledgeable and helpful along the process and always there to answer questions! They are really good also about working with your schedule and making the numerous appointments monthly not feel overwhelming
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The nurses are amazing and really make you feel like you are not alone in your journey! They are also very knowledgeable and helpful along the process and always there to answer questions! They are really good also about working with your schedule and making the numerous appointments monthly not feel overwhelming
She was thorough and gave future options
They were wonderful! Friendly knowledgeable made you feel very at home and like you weren’t alone!
I feel like with our situation being unexplained we got chances to try the obvious (iui and Ivf in future) but maybe not as many options as others so we are still left with no solutions or answers. I don’t blame her specifically but I feel like she could of given us more options, trying different medications or information on diet or vitamins or something
Ask questions, no matter how dumb they seem!
We tried iui with at home injections, and weekly visits to neck follicles and ovulation with blood work
Office visits, medications, proxedures
Wichita
I only interacted with the nursing staff [at CRM - Kansas] for my IUI. She was professional and courteous...200-350 for appointments. 250 for intake sonogram. Met low deductible for HSG. 250 for IUI....He [Dr. Trajden] really took the time to prepare for our appointments, knew our names, situations and what we had done and future plans for treatment. He laid out information in a way that wasn't scary and was considerate to our situation... He laid out what to expect and treatment options. We knew what to expect and why we were doing it.
He really took the time to prepare for our appointments, knew our names, situations and what we had done and future plans for treatment. He laid out information in a way that wasn't scary and was considerate to our situation.
I only interacted with the nursing staff for my IUI. She was professional and courteous.
Dr Tjaiden was very straightforward, yet compassionate with my husband and I. He laid out what to expect and treatment options. We knew what to expect and why we were doing it. While we had a problem with his recommendation for a urologist, an egotistical man with no bedside manner, we have no doubt that he would have given us another referral, if we had requested. Dr Tjaiden even guessed that there was a link between my husband's inherited disease and male infertility earlier in the year that the first study came out confirming that was the case.
He is very straight forward.
IUI with donor sperm while on clomid to give us a better chance of getting pregnant.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
The staff [Center for Reproductive Med in Kansas] is very friendly and extremely helpful and knowledgeable... Weakness to me is that the surgical center they used gave me a cattle hearding feeling. To many people waiting. Positive is the clinic and and the warmth you feel as soon as you walk in. I enjoyed that i didn’t had to hesitate when I had a question or a concern.... I was always welcomed with a warm demeanor, the doctor and her team always took their time to answer all my questions.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
I was always welcomed with a warm demeanor, the doctor and her team always took their time to answer all my questions. I was very happy with my post op care and could always call when I was unsure.
The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful and knowledgeable
She takes her time during your appointment and makes sure that you leave with all your questions answered and all the information she can give you. She’s very thorough but gentle during exams. If she can’t answer your question she’ll point you in the direction that might be able to help you.
Ask your questions.
2012 - 2017
Everyone at CFRM is amazing! They are all so compassionate!... Strengths - The entire staff including the lab are so kind, compassionate & understanding. They are your biggest cheerleaders & share in the joys & sadness with you. Weakness - None... IVF $9,500; 1 Year Embryo Storage $1,000; FET $2,000... Dr. Grainger is amazing! His compassion & bedside manner are beyond amazing! I've never trusted any doctor more than him. He takes the time to listen to any & all concerns & questions no matter how many.
2012 - 2017
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Dr. Grainger is very kind & nurturing!
Everyone at CFRM is amazing! They are all so compassionate!
Trust him completely & always ask questions.
GONAL F Multidose Vial - 450IU NOVAREL - hCG 10,000IU CETROTIDE - cetrorelix 0.25mg PROGESTERONE - oil solution 50mg
IVF $9,500; 1 Year Embryo Storage $1,000; FET $2,000