Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
2828 Chicago Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55407
991 Sibley Memorial Highway
St. Paul, MN 55118
651-379-3110
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota to a friend?
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Some of the nurses [at Center for Reproductive Med-MN]were amazing- very kind and compassionate and understanding of how challenging and painful the situation could be. Some nurses were not as kind, or had personality types that weren't as understanding, and eould leave me feeling worse about things.... The clinic is in a good location in downtown Minneapolis and parking is free. Most of the people (scheduling, secretaries, lab staff, nursing staff) are very nice. The person in the billing office is very rude.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Kuneck at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I didn't actually see Dr. Kuneck often during the time I was his patient which made me feel like just another patient or statistic. But when I did see him he made me feel less like a statistic so it averaged out.
Some of the nurses were amazing- very kind and compassionate and understanding of how challenging and painful the situation could be. Some nurses were not as kind, or had personality types that weren't as understanding, and eould leave me feeling worse about things.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
How was your experience with Paul Kuneck at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
He is very direct and information focused. There isn't a lot of "touchy-feely" stuff with him, just facts. This was helpful for us because we didn't want to feel like we were being coddled, we wanted to know the facts of our situation even if the facts were difficult to hear.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Kuneck at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
He is great at what he does but don't expect a lot of emotion.
Describe the protocols Paul Kuneck used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
I did 5 cycles of Femara with trigger shots. The first cycle required 5 mg femara on cycle days 5-9 and 20-24 then a trigger on day 29 of novarel; this was unsuccessful. The second cycle was 7.5 mg of femara on cycle day 3-7 then a trigger shot with novarel on day 16; this was unsuccessful. Cycle 3 was 7.5 mg of femara on cycle day 3-9 and ovidrel trigger on day 14; this was unsuccessful. Cycle 4 was 7.5 mg of femara on cycle day 3-9 and ovidrel trigger on day 13; this was unsuccessful. Cycle 5 was 7.5 mg of femara on cycle day 3-10 the ovidrel trigger on day 12; this was also unsuccessful. I also used progesterone suppositories during all these cycles between the expected ovulation date svc the date of a negative pregnancy test. We then moved on to our first IVF cycle with menopur and gonal-f on cycle day 2-9, added Ganirelix on day 8-9, triggered with hcg on day 9, egg retrieval on day 11, and day 3 embryo transfer on day 14. I had 3 eggs at the time of retrieval which I was told was unexpected (I'd had 12+ mature follicles at the ultrasound immediately prior to retrieval. Two of the eggs fertilized and were transferred. I then used minivelle patches and endometrin inserts. This IVF cycle was successful and I am currently 11 weeks pregnant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paul Kuneck at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Oral medications with triggers were around $150 per cycle. IVF medications were $2000. Ultrasounds were around $50 after my insurance (needed 3-7 per cycle). We chose to use the Attain program for our IVF cycles which was $20,000 (in the end we only needed one cycle so this wouldn't have been necessary).
Describe Paul Kuneck's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They transferred 2 embryos because that was all we had. Had there been more we would have been able to decide whether we wanted to transfer one or two.
Minneapolis
We pre-paid $1200 for cryopreservation of embryos. More than 6 wks after all of our embryos stopped developing and it was confirmed we did not have any left for cryopreservation, we had still not received a refund for this or heard from the clinic [Ctr for Repro Med of MN] about a refund.... Sue was great- explained everything in great detail, kept me informed about my lab work and my progress
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths: - front desk staff friendly and personable - a few nurses were friendly and personable - most of lab staff was nice and efficient (aside from one lab person) Weaknesses: - a few bad nurses that make you feel like a number - care team didn’t seem to take time to understand our situation - we were not given any possible explanation for the underdevelopment of all of our embryos - our miscarriage was diagnosed immediately, and with 100% certainty before taking additional bloodwork or ultrasound to confirm— this seemed very insensitive, considering our entire process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I met with Dr. Damario for an initial consultation and then once more two weeks prior to Stimulation start for a baseline ultrasound and trial transfer. During the entire course of IVF treatment, egg retrieval, and transfer I did not see or hear from Dr. Damario at all. His nurses were always the ones in contact with me about my progress and with orders for stimulation dosage changes. Dr. Damario would not have been to recognize me in the waiting room or recall my name at any point, even once completed with treatment.
Sue was great- explained everything in great detail, kept me informed about my lab work and my progress, described ultrasounds while doing them, remembered my name and things about me. Julie- great, very kind and personable; remembered my name and things about me. There were other nurses that didn’t even introduce themselves or attempt to build any rapport during the appt at all, were very blunt and jumped to worst case scenario. I don’t know their names because they never said their name.
How was your experience with Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
He did not seem to be aware of what was happening with my care. He couldn’t recognize me and didn’t know my name. He always had his nurse contact me, except once— Dr. Damario called me after my first BHCG to tell me I was pregnant and had “an honest to goodness good pregnancy level.” But two days later, when my BHCG dropped, Dr. Damario had one of the nurses contact me to tell me I was going to miscarry. Dr. Damario miscounted my follicles during my baseline ultrasound. During my ultrasound after miscarriage diagnosis, Dr. Damario looked around for about 3 minutes before confirming miscarriage will be happening and giving me my options to proceed with the miscarriage. He diagnosed me with a “blighted ovum” at 6.5wks, which I have read should never be diagnosed before wk 9. I also had a visible yolk sac, which I also understand does not meet the definition for blighted ovum. Here I am at 9.6wks and still have not miscarried (will likely still miscarry), but have chosen to follow up with further ultrasounds at a different clinic with a new provider.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Do your research about your own situation and possible IVF protocols before meeting with Dr. Damario so you are prepared to ask specific questions & get the answers you need.
Describe the protocols Mark Damario used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
- Birthcontrol for downregulation 6 weeks prior to treatment start - Lupron 20IU for further downregulation for 10 days - Lupron decreased to 5IU from day 3-5 of stimulation, then stopped -Stimulation Start: Menopur 150IU morning & Follistim 150IU for 14 days (Follistim bumped up to 300IU after day 3 d/t slow ovarian response/possible over sensitivity to Lupron) - Trigger Shot: 10,000IU Novarel (HCG) injection 36 hours before transfer * my body was downregulated significantly prior to treatment start, which required doubling the dose of the follistim and added an extra 2-4 days of stimulation before trigger shot. I also had two lead follicles and was told of a potential risk for cycle cancelation * I had 16 follicles, but only 14 eggs retrieved. 8 eggs were mature and all 8 fertilized with ICSI. No embryos made to blastocyst stage. * we transferred a morula and 8-cell embryo on day 5. All other embryos stopped developing by day 6 and we did not have any leftover to freeze.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
IVF retrieval/transfer/ICSI- $11,800 Medication- $7000 Monitoring/bloodwork: $2800 Prescreening: $800
Describe Mark Damario's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Dr. Colleen Casey did the embryo transfer. She recommended transferring only 1 embryo because the next most developed one was only 8 cells. She told us transferring two could be harmful to the morula which was further developed. We told her we wanted to transfer two anyway and asked for more information on how it could be harmful and she then said that it probably wouldn’t be harmful, but it just wouldn’t be likely to implant. We transferred two and all remaining embryos arrested the next day.
PCOS, Unexplained
Everything [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] is located in one location. Parking is free. Once you are an extavlished patient, appointments are generally easy to get. They do a benefits check for you. There are free educational sessions on the IVF process that are open to the public. The nurse line always goes to voicemail, but they always call back.... Basic IVF procedures are roughly $9000, with additional costs for freezing, genetic testing​, etc. Monitoring appointments are charged separately. Shared risk plans are offered.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Everything is located in one location. Parking is free. Once you are an extavlished patient, appointments are generally easy to get. They do a benefits check for you. There are free educational sessions on the IVF process that are open to the public. The nurse line always goes to voicemail, but they always call back.
Dr. Kuneck's office is a business-like setting. He verbally reviewed my medical history but did not review, at least not in front of me, the several page packet I filled out about my medical and family history. With the exception of one time, he got back to me promptly an encouraged me to call with other questions.
All the the nurses were very knowledgeable. Most nurses were very warm, though I was only asked how I was feeling during a small percentage of my appointments. They are very focused on the medical treatments. They had good tips for obtaining medications and it was clear they hoped we would achieve pregnancy.
Dr. Kuneck is clearly is an expert in his field. He sees a large volume of patients which has at times made me feel like a number, but also provides him with a lot of experience. I am a person that likes to know the "why's" of he treaments and know the impacts of my body beyond attempting pregnancy. I felt that I had to advocate for myself to get through answers to these questions, at times.
Write down and ask any questions you may have.
I utilized letrozole and ovidrel for 2 IUI cycles. I did ovulate, but pregnancy was not achieved. I will be attempting IVF with a low dose protocol.
Dr. Kuneck seemed to favor single embryo transfer due to my age and predicted success. We were in agreement on this. He also provided education verbally and in written form regarding risks of multiples.
Minneapolis
I think this clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine of MN] is geared towards IVF patients, and, as someone undergoing IUI cycles, I felt a bit of a second-class citizen. The clinic set up did not enable me to feel that I was receiving personalized care.... Each nurse I interacted with seemed competent and friendly, but over the course of nine visits, I believe I met with eight different nurses. The lack of continuity was a huge problem for me, and made me feel a bit like part of an assembly line. I felt that because the nurses didn't know me and my medical situation personally their clinical judgments were based on their experiences overall, and were not tailored to my situation.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I think this clinic is geared towards IVF patients, and, as someone undergoing IUI cycles, I felt a bit of a second-class citizen. The clinic set up did not enable me to feel that I was receiving personalized care. I do however think that the treatment provided is high quality and the facilities are fantastic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr. Hopeman is very caring and treats me like a person, but I generally only see nurses when I go in for monitoring and IUIs. Over nine visits I saw seven or eight different nurses. The lack of continuity in nursing care made me feel like a number in many of my daily interactions at the clinic.
How was your experience with Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
My experiences with Dr. Hopeman have been largely positive. As a scientist myself, I appreciate receiving highly detailed information on my labwork, diagnosis, treatment, etc. Dr. Hopeman has been willing to provide these detailed explanations in a compassionate way. She has been available to speak by phone or meet in person as needed. In the course of a regular IUI cycle, however, I do not see her. I do, however, feel that Dr. Hopeman pushes IVF somewhat.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Be very clear with her about what your boundaries are in terms of types of treatments you are willing to consider, and tell her what level of detail you would like in terms of scientific information about diagnosis, testing, and treatment.
Describe the protocols Meg Hopeman used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
My first two cycles with Dr. Hopeman I had baseline ultrasound monitoring on cycle day 3, took letrozole (10mg) from cycle day 3 - 7, went in on cycle day 11 for a monitoring ultrasound, triggered that night (ovidrel) for IUI the morning of cycle day 13. I used progesterone suppositories during the luteal phase. My next cycle I will have estradiol measured on day 3, try clomid instead of letrozole, wait until cycle 12 for monitoring, and double the dose of ovidrel for triggering. The morning of the IUI and the following morning I will have progesterone measured to check the timing of ovulation, and I will again take progesterone suppositories during the luteal phase.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
An IUI cycle cost approximately $1,500 (including drugs), without insurance coverage.
Describe Meg Hopeman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
No comments.
Minneapolis
The clinic [Center for Reproductive Med of Minnesota] overall is great. The only thing I don't like is the nurseline. You are unable to get a nurse on the phone and have to leave a message and have them call you back. When they call you back (usually hours later or even the next day depending on when you call) and if you miss the call, you have to call in again and leave a message all over again and wait again for a call back many hours later. This phone tag format is stressful for IVF and infertility.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic overall is great. The only thing I don't like is the nurseline. You are unable to get a nurse on the phone and have to leave a message and have them call you back. When they call you back (usually hours later or even the next day depending on when you call) and if you miss the call, you have to call in again and leave a message all over again and wait again for a call back many hours later. This phone tag format is stressful for IVF and infertility. Otherwise the clinic is great. The scheduling staff is good, you can always get someone (besides nurses) on the phone. The financial coordinator Stephanie is very helpful and will go out of her way to help you troubleshoot any issues. The nurses are great. The office is clean and generally you don't have to wait too long in the waiting room.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
You can tell Dr. Lebovic is busy because his responses are generally short in emails but he is very responsive. He always responds to my messages within about 15 minutes of me sending which is impressive. When I got OHSS he checked in with me daily for weeks and always asked how I was doing. He is calm and doesn't make you feel rushed when you are asking questions about treatment.
CRM uses a team of multiple nurses so you do not have one specifically assigned. All have been very helpful, knowledgeable, and kind.
How was your experience with Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
He is very responsive to email and always answers questions right away and directly. He is quiet and patient and seems to really care.During consults you don't feel rushed and he makes sure that you have time to ask all the questions you have. When I had complications with my retrieval after hyper stimulating he checked in with me daily asking how I was doing and was always available to talk to me or the hospital. I've been really happy working with him. The only thing I would mention that has been mildly frustrating is that he has a somewhat conflicting viewpoint on our diagnosis as my 2 of my other OBs. We are diagnosed as Unexplained Infertility but Dr. Lebovic seems to think I might also have very mild PCOS despite the fact that I do not meet the diagnosis requirements for PCOS. I personally don't think I have PCOS and neither do 2 different doctors I've seen. This hasn't gotten in the way of my treatment to my knowledge because the protocol would remain the same but it has been frustrating at times being my own advocate making sure we are on the right path.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
If you are looking for a cheerleader, moral support type doctor he is probably not a good fit for your needs. But if you want someone who gets to the point, is very responsive, and clearly cares about you and your well being he will be a great fit.
Describe the protocols Dan Lebovic used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
For all 6 IUIs: - Protocol remained the same because I was appropriately responsive - 2.5 mg letrozole days 3-7 and HCG trigger. Resulted in 2 mature follicles each time. For IVF: resulted in 33 eggs retreived and 7 blastocycts - Birth control as a down regulation - Stimulation was 75 IU Menopur and 150 Gonal - F (Gonal - F dosage went down to 75 after first ultrasound because I was very responsive) - Ganirelix once follicles were getting mature - Trigger was dual Lupron and HCG to prevent OHSS - Was also given cabergoline to help prevent OHSS * I only did 8 days of stims before triggering because I was so responsive and I still got OHSS Frozen Embryo Transfer: Still in progress - birth control for down regulation - Estrace pills and baby aspirin - Progesterone suppositories
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
$10,000 single cycle IVF without PGS not including medication or monitoring which is billed separately. Without insurance each ultrasound for monitoring is around $500.
Describe Dan Lebovic's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Dr. Lebovic feels we should do 1 embryo at a time based on our age and the fact this is our first IVF cycle. We agree with his advice.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
The nurses, ultrasound techs, and lab techs [Center for Reproductive Med] have been great! Very compassionate and willing to answer questions. Some at the front desk are friendlier than others. No one was rude or unhelpful - just some were less personable.... I feel that overall, the clinic is very busy, so it can be difficult to get a preferred appointment time, and the process seems to take a while just to be fit in to start each process.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The nurses, ultrasound techs, and lab techs are great. They are very sensitive, caring, and compassionate. I feel that overall, the clinic is very busy, so it can be difficult to get a preferred appointment time, and the process seems to take a while just to be fit in to start each process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
When I actually met with Dr. Casey, she was very personable. She was encouraging, although I wish she would have been more blunt and provided more realistic expectations. At times, I feel like she is encouraging so I will continue to spend money, even though it's probaby not likely to work. Also, from what I have learned, my treatment plan is the same as every one else - so not very personable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota. (Assigned nurse: DeNae M)
The nurses, ultrasound techs, and lab techs have been great! Very compassionate and willing to answer questions. Some at the front desk are friendlier than others. No one was rude or unhelpful - just some were less personable.
How was your experience with Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I chose Dr. Casey because she was relateable - having children close to my age, being female. When I first met with Dr. Casey she was very encouraging and explained everything very well. However, I wish she would have encouraged donar eggs sooner, as my AMH level was very low.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Consider all of your options (donar eggs, adoption, etc.) in the beginning because the process rarely works the first time and can be very lengthy. Also, the treatment is mentally and financially exhausting. I don't think the mental side effects were fully explained to me.
Describe the protocols Colleen Casey used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
With my own eggs, I was on bc to get my cycle in line with theirs. Then I was on Lupron for 10 days, then started Menopur in the a.m. and Follistem in the evening. During this time I had ultrasounds and bloodwork every other day. Took HCG prior to retrieval. Then, started endometrin twice a day and did day 5 transfer with fresh embryo. After transfer, started Vivelle patches and continue Endometrin. Unsuccessful. Switched to donar eggs with fresh transfer. Birth control to coordinate my cycle with donor. Lupron for 10 days. Then reduce Lupron (but continue) and start Estrace 3 times/day. After a couple of weeks, start Endometrin 3 times/day and Doxyclycline 2 times/day. Transferred only 1 embryo (per doctors very strong recommendation). Resulted in pregnancy, and then miscarriage after 4 weeks. Currently doing frozen embryo transfer with donor eggs. Started birth control to coordinate with clinic schedule. Lupron 20 U for 10 days. Drop to 5 U Lupron for 10 days and start Estrace (with Lupron) for approximately 21 days. Will also do Endometrin approximately 5 days prior to transfer and after.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It was approximately $21,000 for IVF cycle with my own eggs, approximately $25,000 for cycle with donor eggs, and approximately $5,000 for frozen transfer. Medication was an additional $1,000-$4,000 per cycle.
Describe Colleen Casey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
In talking with nurse and doctor Casey, I was encouraged to transfer 2 for higher success rate, understanding risk of multiples. Day of transfer, Dr. Kuneck was only willing to transfer 1 embryo because of high quality embryo. It was not successful, so I wish I would have done 2. Now doing FET with plan to transfer 2 embryos.
Minneapolis
You are not assigned an individual nurse here and this is a large clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine]. This means that every time you go in you are dealing with a new person. When things come up there is no easy access point. You can call the nurse line but you will consistently be directed to the voicemail system and can expect to wait all day for a call back. When you do get a call you should be prepared for the nurse to be entirely unfamiliar with your case and to have 'skimmed' your voicemail at best.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This clinic is a factory. There are quite a few doctors, a lot of nurses, and many, many patients. This means that it is very unlikely that you will see your identified provider after the initial consult or that you will notice many familiar faces at your appointments. On egg retrieval and transfer days you could have any provider in the practice assigned to you and, be warned, they do not all have superb bedside manner. This results in unecessary stress on very important days. This is also a clinic that schedules cycles quite far out (2+months after consult) and seems to run patients in 'batches' meaning that they may have you on birth control for months to sync up your cycle with their schedule.
Dr. Lebovic does his best to be a clear communicator and to be responsive. The problem is just that there is no sense of warmth. He is neutral in every way one can imagine. Flat affect, flat intonation, provides limited opinions and observations, etc. We could tell he was trying but it was just all very cold.
You are not assigned an individual nurse here and this is a large clinic. This means that every time you go in you are dealing with a new person. When things come up there is no easy access point. You can call the nurse line but you will consistently be directed to the voicemail system and can expect to wait all day for a call back. When you do get a call you should be prepared for the nurse to be entirely unfamiliar with your case and to have 'skimmed' your voicemail at best. I had mutliple experiences where the nurses called back and provided inaccurate information about my case which instills very little confidence. When I lost a pregnancy it was very difficult to reach anyone for help about what to do and when I finally did the contact was neutral at best.
Dr. Lebovic is obviously intelligent and takes a very evidence-based approach to treatment. He is a fine choice for standardized care if you are a straightforward case. If not, however, you may find yourself frustrated as there is limited openness to tweaking protocols, adding supplements, etc. Dr. Lebovic tries to connect and is very responsive (called/emailed immediately with test results and to answer questions) but his bedside manner is lacking in warmth. I'm not typically one that needs a lot of warmth, in fact I am sometimes irritated by it! But his was just such an anxious, cold presentation that it made me uncomfortable and added to the stress of it all. Infertility treatment is stressful enough, do yourself a favor and only choose to work with a provider that you feel good about!
Give him a shot, perhaps your personalities will jive better than mine did with him. Be prepared to ask a lot of direct questions and receive very brief answers. Don't hesitate to reach out to him for guidance as needed as he is happy to help.
Birth control leading into things. Antagonist protocol (ganirelix) + 300IU Follistim + 150IU Menopur. Ovidrel trigger. The rationale for using this protocol was never explained to me.
The actual cycle was about $14,000. Meds were probably another $3000.
Prefers eSET but open to multiple embryo transfer when appropriate.
Other, Unexplained
The nursing staff [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of MN] has been incredibly responsive to my questions and concerns. I had some initial insurance issues and they were very supportive along the way and helped me make sure that I got all of my medications on time.... I do not see my doctor on every visit and I understand for some people that would be a problem. I do know that my doctor is very actively involved though and reviews my case each time I get bloodwork or have an ultrasound done. I think the clinic runs efficiently.
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This clinic has many strengths. I have found the nursing team and doctors to be incredibly supportive and informative. I do not see my doctor on every visit and I understand for some people that would be a problem. I do know that my doctor is very actively involved though and reviews my case each time I get bloodwork or have an ultrasound done. I think the clinic runs efficiently.
Dr. Kuneck is very direct but kind in his manner. He's incredibly knowledgeable and always makes me feel welcome.
The nursing staff has been incredibly responsive to my questions and concerns. I had some initial insurance issues and they were very supportive along the way and helped me make sure that I got all of my medications on time.
Dr. Kuneck is very direct and upfront with his recommendations. He did a lovely job of balancing giving his opinion with also giving space for my husband and I to make decisions. I am still in the course of my first IVF treatment, but I really appreciate his honesty and optimism. Dr. Kuneck also was quite comfortable with moving straight to IVF rather than spending time on IUIs that would only marginally increase my chances of success.
I would say be open to any option. Dr. Kuneck wants you to achieve success but will also defer to your decisions.
This is my first IVF cycle, so we decided to go with the typical course knowing that it might take a cycle or two to figure out how my body responds. I am still in my cycle. I did 22 days of bcp, on day 19 on bcp I started Lupron. Then I began menopur and gonal f on day 11 of lupron. On day 3 of STIMS I went in for bloodwork and then had my dosages adjusted. My next step is an ultrasound and blood work on day 5 of STIMS.
I have a strong insurance package but this requires reimbursement. Medications cost $2000 so far (after insurance reimbursement) and I needed to pay up-front $10000 for the IVF cycle.
No comments
Minneapolis
The nursing staff handles most, if not all, the communication between patient and doctor. It is nice to be able to talk with the nurse after each appointment to discuss current plan and any changes that may need to be made by the doctor. One weakness about the nursing staff at CRM, is that they often times don't call back the same day to answer important questions or respond to time sensitive information (i.e. got my period - when should I start birth control pills, etc.).
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They take confidentiality seriously - but that also gives off a cold and secluded vibe. This could also be due to the nature that is infertility - a silent battle for each couple. The scheduling/office staff is always friendly and returns phone calls promptly.
I didn't get to see Dr. Casey much throughout our fresh cycle. All of the ultrasounds scans, med modifications, and communication is done through the nursing staff. In addition, Dr. Casey was not the physician who performed the egg retrieval or the transfer of our embryos. That was disappointing.
Dr. Casey is very knowledgeable and passionate about helping couples become parents. When our fresh transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy, she personally called me to discuss the results, what potentially happened, and what our next steps forward would look like. She was positive and reassuring that we would some day be parents.
Ask ALOT of questions and be sure you really understand the plan - the only dumb question is the one not asked!!
We had an antagonist protocol for our first egg retrieval cycle. I was on the lowest dose of stimulation meds. My meds included: 75 units of Menopur & 150 iu of Follistim. I stimulated extremely quickly and already had 5 mature eggs at my first ultrasound (stim day 5). I hadn't started the antagonist (Ganirelix) until immediately after that first ultrasound. However, I was a little worried that I stimulated so quickly - would they be good quality eggs? would my lining be ready to accept a transfer? ... At my ultrasound the next day, I had 8 mature eggs so they decided to have me trigger that night. I triggered with 10,000iu of HCG. I was also a little concerned that there wasn't any lining checks or measurements throughout the process of this fresh cycle. Overall, the process was pretty seamless. I was lucky and didn't have many side effects or discomfort during stimulation or after retrieval.
Baseline Ultrasound ($263 ea.) - 1 Follow-Up Ultrasounds ($216 ea.) - 2 Office Visits ($89 ea.) - ? Labs ($181 ea.) - 3 Egg Retrieval - $3791 Embryo Transfer - $1669 Embryo Culture - $1810 Identification - $680 Anesthesia - $374 ICSI - $1200 Cryopreservation of Embryos - $1200 Ultrasounds (retrieval and transfer) - $635 Lab prep for transfer - $450 Medications - $2850.84
The doctor who did our transfer didn't put up much of a fight or invite any sort of discussion around the topic. We only had 1 blastocyst at day 5 (transfer day) and a less mature morula (day 4 cell). He also said that we likely wouldn't have any that made it to freeze. So... we decided to transfer 2 because that increased our chance of getting at least one by 10%. He didn't give us any explanation about why he only recommended an eSET and just said, "it's up to you". This was disappointing - especially now on the other side of transfer still not pregnant. In addition, I have done an incredible (spent HOURS on google) amount of researching on the best route and why - something that should be presented as pro's and con's at time of transfer.
Minneapolis
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Strength [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] - allowing you to do monitoring in St Paul or Minneapolis. Weaknesses - (1) not always giving more than 24 hours notice for the amount you have to prepay per visit, if you don't have insurance. (2) No communication from management to clinic finance person that their contract with health insurance provider was updated and patient wasn't supposed to prepay anything
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strength - allowing you to do monitoring in St Paul or Minneapolis. Weaknesses - (1) not always giving more than 24 hours notice for the amount you have to prepay per visit, if you don't have insurance. (2) No communication from management to clinic finance person that their contract with health insurance provider was updated and patient wasn't supposed to prepay anything
He never seemed to study up on the current cycle's prior visits and it felt like we were telling him what happened.
The nurses showed more compassion following our miscarriages than the dr. did. They were also always willing to answer questions.
Dr Demario always seemed wishy washy and not assertive enough with his opinion and assessment of the cycle status. I would have preferred someone who was more confident. He also never followed up with me after the 2 miscarriages.
Ask lots of questions if you don't understand something.
2016 we had 3 iui's with follistim, femara, and ovidrel to trigger. 2017 we had 2 ivf cycles (stims, retrieval, icsi, embryo transfer. First round was birth control for initial suppression, then follistim, menopur, endometrin, minivelle patches, hcg injection for trigger. Second round was the same except for increased follistim, coQ10 supplement, and I think we added in microdose Lupron. In 2018 we had 1 FET with the 2 remaining embryos from 2017 round 2, with birth control for initial suppression, estradiol tablets, and PIO injections.
I believe our reimbursement for the ART side of the first cycle was $9870. That does not include any bloodwork, monitoring appointments, or medication. The reimbursement we got the 2nd time was slightly higher due to needing embryo cryopreservation.
We only ever got grade 3 embryos. When we arrived at our FET in January 2018 he encouraged us to consider transferring 2 which would increase the chance of 1 sticking.
St. Paul
You will be working with multiple nursing staff throughout your treatment [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]. You will always leave messages fir nursing staff and then they will call you back after they pull your chart. ...14 Days of stimulation based on my previous history of poor stimulation. Additionally, increasing my stimulation medications and changing my trigger.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
You will be working with multiple nursing staff throughout your treatment. You will always leave messages fir nursing staff and then they will call you back after they pull your chart. Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dr. Lebovic took the time to fully evaluate our case. He was our 2nd fertility specialist and he thoroughly evaluated our medical records, pursued additional testing, changed out protocol, and provided us with realistic outcomes based on our history.
We had a great experience with Dr. Lebovic. We were considering using donor eggs and my eggs. He gave us realistic statistics on both scenarios. He provided us with medical facts to assist with our decision. We appreciated his realistic, straight forward approach. We also appreciated that he understood each individual is different and he was willing to change my protocol based on my previous failed cycle at another clinic. He had excellent communication with us as well. He personally emailed me with some test results and personally called me with our pregnancy test results.
I feel Dr. Lebovic is an excellent, intelligent physician. He will provide you with realistic expectations and medical facts to assist you with your decision making. He has a straight forward approach, which we greatly appreciated.
14 Days of stimulation based on my previous history of poor stimulation. Additionally, increasing my stimulation medications and changing my trigger. 150 menopur, 300 follistim. 4 days of certitude. Hcg plus lupron trigger.
36,000 including medications
Minneapolis
17k for IVF cycle including medicine. Roughly 1.5k for iui cycles [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]...CRM is a very busy clinic. It can be difficult to get appointments at the time convenient for you since you visit so many times per cycle. They do a nice job making sure you fully understand the IVF process. Once you are at the clinic it is usually pretty quick at getting you in and out. I think clinics like CRM should consider adding an infertility psychologist.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Somewhere in the middle- our doctor is so smart she is more facts based.
Overall I really appreciated the nursing staff. They were almost all compassionate and knowledgeable. It was a bummer that I have a different nurse just about every time I visit. I had one encounter where there was some sort of miscommunication on the date of my FET which was concerning and the nurse blamed it on me that it was my misunderstanding where I did not feel that was appropriate.
Dr. Hopeman is very smart, and this is where some of the compassion and relations is lost a bit. I can see she wants the best but has a tough time communicating that. Although our processes were based off our situation and circumstances, our plans did seem to be heavily based on standard procedures.
Make sure to ask specific questions, as I have left wondering what the next steps are. She is honest with her answers.
Strategies were based off of the male infertility factor and the positive response my body had to medicines. None of the 5 IuIs or one IVF cycle worked so it is hard to say whether this was best for our situation
17k for IVF cycle including medicine. Roughly 1.5k for iui cycles. Not sure specifically how much an ultrasound, blood work, and other routine visits cost. Trial transfer and saline test roughly $600. Will be between 4-6k for FET
The clinic as a whole is very against multiple embryo transfer- so she was the same way.
Minneapolis
The clinic [Ctr for Repro Med] has been helpful through this process with booking appointments and helping with the financial portion - letting us know what is owed at what time (mainly the up front cost). I do wish they could help more with insurance/medications, etc as that’s been a frustrating part....We don’t have a nurse assigned to us (and perhaps that would be easier so they know everything going on versus just nursing notes) but they’ve all been very knowledgeable and helpful.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic has been helpful through this process with booking appointments and helping with the financial portion - letting us know what is owed at what time (mainly the up front cost). I do wish they could help more with insurance/medications, etc as that’s been a frustrating part. It was great the nurse gave us a heads up on the medications and to check with insurance but it’s been a complicated process (financial and insurance wise).
He responds to any questions I have almost immediately and makes sure he’s thorough with his explanation and next steps.
They’ve been wonderful throughout this process. We don’t have a nurse assigned to us (and perhaps that would be easier so they know everything going on versus just nursing notes) but they’ve all been very knowledgeable and helpful. I’ve called the nurse line multiple times throughout this process and they’ve been so great at getting back to me and making me feel at ease!
He’s been very responsive to questions I have which has been a huge help! He makes sure to adjust my treatments as needed after blood work. I did think we’d see him more during this process but understand the nurses roles and what they’re able to help us with!
I’d recommend going to him - he’s very knowledgeable and responsive!
We did 3 IUI treatments in hopes it would work before turning to IVF. Dr Lebovic changed up my prescription amounts after our first IUI after seeing how my body reacted to the medications. This helped my body produce more eggs but unfortunately with such a small success rate, we were not part of that. Also, once I started IVF and he viewed my blood read, he adjusted my follistim to a small dosage due to my E2.
We are still in the process of IVF and we are doing genetic testing but I believe the cost will be around $22K including our medications.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Communication with the nursing staff [CRM Mpls] is almost impossible. They never answer and if you don't answer it's impossible to get information...They were kind during the in patient procedures...They don't have urologist on staff, thought they could schedule my husband's sperm extraction, decided late in the game that it was too risky and we had to reschedule our entire cycle...It's nice to know that they are constantly collaborating.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It's nice to know that they are constantly collaborating. It's a convenient location for all of the procedures and it's nice that everything is done in one facility. It's unfortunate that the monitoring hours are so limited though they were able to generally get me in when I needed to see someone.
Colleen Casey spoke to us about our individual case. She was encouraging and understood the multiple considerations one needs to consider with IVF.
Communication with the nursing staff is almost impossible. They never answer and if you don't answer it's impossible to get information. I'm a teacher and I learned pretty quickly I needed to step out of my class and run down the hallway for privacy if I ever wanted any information. They were kind during the in patient procedures.
Colleen Casey answered all of our questions thoroughly and never made us feel dumb for asking. She was receptive and offered alternative options. The clinic operates such that you have minimal contact with your actual doctor so we only spoke with her a total of 4 times, including once on the phone. She did seem a bit annoyed when we called with an after hours question about embryo transfer. We felt we needed time to consider all of our options but she mentioned that they were going to call the next day. I was a bit taken back by this.
In general Dr Casey is encouraging but if you see her realize that other doctors at the clinic are more clinical and aren't always exactly familiar with your situation.
We had infertility due to my husband having anejaculation due to cancer treatment. I am 38 but with a health 4.8 AMH and they counted 22 follicles pre treatment. We were prescribed Menopur, follistim and ganirelex. I only stimmed for 6 days, they retrieved 9 eggs, only 5 mature, 3 blasts on day 6, all tested abnormal with PGS. Trying again this time with Lupron, Menopur and Follistim. Dr Casey is hoping to slow down stim process a touch in order to have more mature eggs to work with.
Dr Casey was wonderful in recommending PGS when we said that we were really uncomfortable risking a Twin pregnancy. With PGS we can do single transfer and be pretty confident that we are implanting a healthy embryo.
Minneapolis
This clinic [Center for Reproductive Med of MN] had a long waiting period to see a doctor (months). When I had a fail IUI the nurse asked me what I wanted to do next, my answer I don't know, what are my options (cause I honestly didn't know) I said IVF? The nurse goes you need to make an appt with the doctor to discuss that and he is book for weeks. Found that very frustrating to not be able to see a patient in a timely matter especially when everything with this is timely.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This clinic had a long waiting period to see a doctor (months). When I had a fail IUI the nurse asked me what I wanted to do next, my answer I don't know, what are my options (cause I honestly didn't know) I said IVF? The nurse goes you need to make an appt with the doctor to discuss that and he is book for weeks. Found that very frustrating to not be able to see a patient in a timely matter especially when everything with this is timely.
I felt like we had no direction in where to go with our treatments. We filled out a questionnaire and basically when we met with Dr. Damario he just read it back to us. My husband and I walked out of the clinic wondering if we should even continue. This clinic is where our insurance sent us first. Thankfully before we go fully into our treatment we were able to switch clinic and doctor. This was a night and day difference for us.
The nursing staff was nice. When I was at this clinic they didn't have an online portal where you could easily ask questions. I found that very frustrating and a little old school to not be able to email a nurse with a simple question.
We didn't feel like we had any understanding of our treatment or what they could do for us to help us start a family. He basically read back our questionnaire when we met with him and kept reading and showing us statistics. The statistics were not encouraging at all. We were mostly confused and didn't have any idea what the plan was. He didn't explain chromosomal/genetic testing with us very well, even though I'm over 35 years old. He was big into selling us on buying multiple IVF sessions, but didn't really give us a reason why we would need to do IVF multiple times.
For us, it was a blessing that our insurance had us switch clinics. This clinic was not the place for us. We do have friends that liked this clinic and Dr Darmario and had success here.
We did IUI because I had unexplained infertility and felt like it would work for us. Really with my age, we should of went straight to IVF and skipped IUI. Now it's clear to me why I was a great candidate for IVF, and not IUI. But this wasn't explained to me at this clinic.
We did not do IVF with this clinic.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
[At Center for Reproductive Medicine] A recommended change in care plan was not communicated to me by the doctor but rather by requesting me to pay my out of pocket portion of the next procedure that had never been talked about. I was not taught how to administer my ovidrel. They sent my prescription to an incorrect pharmacy...They put the incorrect appointment time for my husbands sample and my IUI, even though they had written the agreed upon time on my take home sheet. They are often behind schedule 15 minutes to 30 minutes.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Customer service is a weakness. They do not answer phone with identifying themselves. They put the incorrect appointment time for my husbands sample and my IUI, even though they had written the agreed upon time on my take home sheet. They are often behind schedule 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I'm struggling to find a strength...they are open half days on weekends.
A change in my care plan was presented to me at check-in by being asked to pay for an IUI up front, when IUI had never been discussed. It was later told to me by the nurse that Dr. Lebovic had charted this was the next step. This was not communicated to my husband or I prior to the appointment and obviously not by Dr. Lebovic. I requested a call from Dr. Lebovic and never did receive an apology.
Poor customer service. Nobody introduces themselves nor do they answer the phone with their names. I'm constantly asking for more information regarding how other patients approach obtaining out of pocket medicines, prescriptions are sent to the wrong pharmacy, the nurse line is never answered which leads to leaving a voicemail which they do not listen to carefully and call back to "clarify" information that was left in the voicemail.
We received poor communication regarding the treatment plan as well as diagnoses. Although compassionate in the first and only meeting, I do not feel that he is even directing my care due to the nurses making the care plan after a follow up and then checking with Dr. Lebovic later.
Inquire at your initial meeting regarding his communication regarding the treatment plan as well as his direct incolvement with follow up appointments.
I have no clue if a specific protocol is being used. Our first cycle with Dr. Lebovic was 7.5 mg of Femara days 3-5. Ultrasound CD 2 and 10. Ovidrel shot on CD 11. Our second cycle was the same dosage of Femara then I was prescribed Follistim CD 7-9 with an ultrasound on CD 10. I was told to wait to trigger until CD 12, timed intercourse on CD 12 and IUI on CD 14. We are in the middle of our third cycle. Same plan as cycle 2 except when I went for my ultrasound on CD10 they wanted me to continue Follistim through CD 13 and I go back on CD14 for another ultrasound.
IUI - $284 Density Gradient- $388.70
Minneapolis
You do see a different nurse [at Center for Reproductive Medicine] pretty much every time you're in, which makes it hard to build a relationship with your day to day caregivers. However all except one were extremely kind and thoughtful to me. In particular the nurses on retrieval and transfers were amazing... Billing and the business end is very efficient and straightforward. they do everything over the phone which can be tough if you're working a standard desk job, I wish they would do some things online.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It's a busy clinic with a good success rate; they know what they're doing! Billing and the business end is very efficient and straightforward. they do everything over the phone which can be tough if you're working a standard desk job, I wish they would do some things online. You always see different care providers which can make you feel a little like a number. But you're in and out in a short amount of time. Plus they pay for parking!
Dr Kuneck is very forthright but also kind and genuinely cares about his patients' success. The nursing staff in general is also very kind, but you see a different nurse/ultrasound tech every time you're in so it's hard to build a relationship with the caregivers you see daily. However Dr. Kuneck personally reviews your chart daily and makes all decisions about your care.
You do see a different nurse pretty much every time you're in, which makes it hard to build a relationship with your day to day caregivers. However all except one were extremely kind and thoughtful to me. In particular the nurses on retrieval and transfers were amazing.
I trust Dr. Kuneck completely. He was willing to adjust the treatment plan to what I felt like my body needed and he was genuinely disappointed along with us when our transfer didn't work. He was optimistic but also direct, and I appreciate his candor. He's very experienced and I value his insight.
You won't see him very much! Take the opportunities to have consults with him even if you don't think you need them. Know that he is making all of your care decisions.
First cycle: standard Lupron cycle, cancelled after only one large follicle developed. Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. Second cycle: microdose lupron flare cycle, retrieved five mature eggs from three follicles, one fertilized, transferred three day embryo. Negative pregnancy test. Third cycle (in progress): natural antagonist cycle (no birth control per my request).
Approximately $10k out of pocket for IVF itself, which you can submit to insurance for reimbursement (I got some dollars back). My insurance covers monitoring and bloodwork as well as medications.
Dr Kuneck talked to us about the risks and rewards of multiple embryo transfer, and shared with us that at my age, the risks of a multiples pregnancy (bedrest, prematurity, etc) were about equivalent to the increased rate of success. My husband and I are both not interested in twins, and appreciated his frank feedback and advice.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
i did have to call and request test results [at Center for Reproductive Medicine] once. However, my doctor was on vacation and I think that is where the delay was. When I inquired regarding the results another doctor did call me that same day...Very busy. Wait times for consults or cycle starts are usually 3+ months. However, all the doctors I've had contact with have been great and many of the nurses are too. They run a tight schedule - appointments for ultrasounds and blood draws are usually right on time and you'll be in and out in no time.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Only contact with Dr. Campbell was during office consults (either prior or post treatment cycle) and during some testing (SIS, trial transfer). He did call to personally deliver PGS testing results (2 of 3 cycles) and was willing to consult with me over the phone after failed cycles to answer immediate questions. All other contact is with nursing staff. I do wish I would have had more contact with Dr. Campbell, but am appreciative that he did not rush during consults, etc.
The nursing staff seems very busy and,at times, can seem annoyed with questions, etc. Some of them seem guarded with your medical information - for instance, not willing to give up information regarding estradiol levels and follicle counts (I was told on more than one occasion, "you don't need to worry about it."). It is frustrating that you may not see the same nurse more than once in s treatment cycle.
How was your experience with Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I think Dr. Campbell is a good doctor. At consults, he took the time to answer questions and address concerns and was ready to adjust treatment plans when things weren't working. And, he admitted when he didn't know why things weren't working! He was willing to be as aggressive with treatment as we wanted. And I think he does truly care about his patients. After our 2nd cycle with nothing to transfer, I thanked him when leaving our consult. He stopped and looked at me with sincere compassion and said, "don't thank me, I haven't gotten you pregnant yet. You can thank me when I do".
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Be patient! He is very busy and wait times for consults and cycle starts can run 3+ months.
Describe the protocols Bruce Campbell used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
Cycle 1 - long Lupron, menopur, Gonal-f. All embryos arrested before reaching blastocyst stage. Cycle 2- menopur, Gonal-f, ganirelix. Switched to antagonist to see if it would make a difference with egg quality. 2 embryos reached blastocyst stage and were PGS tested abnormal. Cycle 3 - menopur, Follistim, ganirelix, HGH, prednisone, testosterone cream. One embryo reached blastocyst stage and was PGS tested normal.
Minneapolis
Strengths [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] are that they will see you on the weekend so no time is wasted with waiting extra days. However, if you are at the St. Paul clinic, you will need to go to Minneapolis for your weekend appointments...You just have to stay on top of them to ensure they are sending in proper insurance paperwork in a timely manner. Weakness is that they only see you for certain procedures during the weekend. So if your baseline ultrasound ends up happening on a weekend, they will prefer you do it during a week day.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths are that they will see you on the weekend so no time is wasted with waiting extra days. However, if you are at the St. Paul clinic, you will need to go to Minneapolis for your weekend appointments. Dr. Damario is great and the nursing staff are also mostly great. You just have to stay on top of them to ensure they are sending in proper insurance paperwork in a timely manner. Weakness is that they only see you for certain procedures during the weekend. So if your baseline ultrasound ends up happening on a weekend, they will prefer you do it during a week day.
Dr. Damario personally meets with you to explain your treatment options. Then when you do your first pregnancy ultrasound, he is the one who does it (NOT a nurse).
I have had mostly wonderful experiences with the nursing staff. They are kind and understanding. The only big hurdle I've run into was getting approval from my new insurance this year and having the nurses send in the proper paperwork for approval in a timely manner. Other than that, all previous interactions have been very good.
From my first time meeting Dr. Damario, I knew he was a caring doctor. Compared to my first doctor, he is much more hands on with my care. I have seen him more in my one IUI cycle than I saw my other doctor in my 4 IUI's. Dr. Damario takes the time to explain things to you to make sure you understand the course of action. I highly recommend him.
Make sure you ask lots of questions.
For my one IUI cycle with Dr. Damario, we used Gonal-F (150 IU) and then Ovidril. We decided to go with this route because this is what worked in my last IUI which resulted in my son with a different doctor. This worked again as I got pregnant right away and we found out it was twins. Unfortunately, we lost the twins at 8 weeks gestation.
I'm covered by insurance so I have a $30 co-pay almost every time I go in. I am unsure what the other costs are.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Overall, CRM did a great job, and we of course were so grateful for our positive outcome. I do think they could show more compassion and grace while dealing with patients that have so much riding on their care. I think that the doctors are smart, and their protocols have worked for many of my friends, including us. Also, when my daughter was born, I sent a birth announcement, and I heard crickets. I really do think the least they could do is send a congratulations card. We have spent so much money and time, and there was no response. For example, I sent a birth announcement to my acupuncturist, and they sent a card and a Onsie. I just think CRM's overall customer experience could be upped, especially when people have poured their heart, soul, time energy and cash here.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr. Erickson was very patient and kind. She always had a smile on her face, and she was always very optimistic. She was truthful, but caring. I felt in very good hands with Dr. Erickson.
They seem distant and not engaged. I truly wish they had more compassion and empathy. It seemed like they were disengaged and just there doing their job. Going through fertility treatments is so emotionally exhausting that I wish that the nurses were more engaged.
How was your experience with Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr. Erickson was the first doctor we met with at CRM back in 2014. She explained that I should have a laparoscopy as a first step to confirm if I did or did not have endometriosis. Once I found that out, she advised we jump right into IVF, because outcomes are best. We were hesitant because of the cost, but she really seemed to push IVF. At first, we didn't appreciate the strong push, but once our IUI cycle failed, we decided to look into IVF. She was always very encouraging and compassionate. She was always hopeful and she seemed to have a very positive outlook for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Ask questions and take notes, and see if there is anything that would work before the cost of IVF. I think the best advice is to get educated on all of the terminology and scenarios.
Describe the protocols Lisa Erickson used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
I initially had two laparoscopies to excise the endometriosis. We then tried for six months with no luck, and tried IUI. IUI was not recommended, but we wanted to try anyways. We did a pretty straight and simple cycle with egg monitoring and a trigger shot. I had two mature eggs, and the cycle failed. We waited two months before we decided on IVF. When we went in for our IVF consultation it was January, and they didn't have an opening for a retrieval until May. I started birth control in late February, and then Lupron. I then used Menopur and Follistim. I was closely monitored and my eggs weren't where they should be, so we bumped up everything. I had my retrieval in early May, where I had 12 eggs retrieved. We decided before the cycle, that if I had anything more than 12 eggs, we were going to freeze the eggs, and just fertilize the 12 to limit the amount of embryos. We ended up with a perfect dozen, and of that 12, 8 were mature, and by day five we had three viable embryos. I used Minivalle patches and Endometrin. I feel like I had a pretty standard protocol, and we were happy with the outcome. We transferred one on day five and nine months later, our miracle daughter was born! We have two embryos on ice and we are just deciding on when would be a good time to grow our family again.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It was a well-oiled machine. I never had to wait more than five minutes. I really appreciated how efficient they kept appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Cycle Monitoring Medications Lab Work All said and done it was around $15,000
Describe Lisa Erickson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Our doctor strongly encouraged a single embryo transfer for the fresh cycle. For FET, she encourages multiples.
Minneapolis
Making appointments for anything (ultrasounds, blood work, doctor visits) is easy. Many same day appointments available. The waiting room [Ctr for Repro Med of MN] is very cozy and inviting and doesn't make it seem like you are at a "clinic."... Our total IVF cost included ICSI and genetic testing. Freezing remaining embryos was not included. Medications were not included either. We were quoted around $15,000 for one IVF session
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Making appointments for anything (ultrasounds, blood work, doctor visits) is easy. Many same day appointments available. The waiting room is very cozy and inviting and doesn't make it seem like you are at a "clinic."
Each couple's infertility story is different and unique. Dr. Erickson takes that into consideration when creating a diagnosis and treatment plan. She was careful with her words and very sympathetic when she was explaining our diagnosis and our odds of conceiving.
They all worked as a team with their doctors. Appointments ran quick and smooth.
During our consultation, Dr. Erickson made sure she explained everything in terms we understood. She came in the ultrasound room with me and explained everything she was seeing, instead of waiting for her to read the results and tell us at another appointment. Before leaving that appointment, we had a diagnosis, a surgery date set up, and a tentative treatment plan. It was information overload but everything we have been waiting to hear. We finally got answers.
Ask lots of questions. You will go over a lot of information in a short period of time. Think of questions before your appointment and bring that list with you.
During our consultation, we set up a surgery date and a tentative treatment plan following surgery. After surgery, I was prescribed Femara and ovidrel injection, along with IUI. I did 2 IUI's following the same protocol and then it was recommended we do IVF. With Stage 4 endometriosis, your odds of conceiving on your own is very low.
We didn't get this far into our treatment yet.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
After my appointment I was leaving the exam room and heard a nurse [at CRM] say 'ya you can just throw that cervical polyp chart over there'. This made me feel even more like a number, like I wasn't being treated with any type of customization and that they honestly didn't care if I got pregnant or not. I ended up getting pregnant, which of course I can't complain about, but I wouldn't choose this clinic again.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
CRM has a high success rate, which is the whole point of fertility treatment so that's great. Patients are treated like numbers so if you're someone who needs compassion and to build a relationship with your doctor, this isn't the place for you. Nurses show no compassion and cycle you in and out quickly. I don't feel like treatment is customized.
I felt like a number at CRM. During my 3 IUI cycles and my IVF cycle I never saw my doctor one time. I had an issue with Lupron, and with that was able to speak with my Dr. on the phone. At one point during my IVF cycle monitoring a polyp was found on my cervix. This was very scary as I didn't want my cycle to be canceled. After my appointment I was leaving the exam room and heard a nurse say 'ya you can just throw that cervical polyp chart over there'. This made me feel even more like a number, like I wasn't being treated with any type of customization and that they honestly didn't care if I got pregnant or not. I ended up getting pregnant, which of course I can't complain about, but I wouldn't choose this clinic again.
I had a different nurse at each visit, so no primary. Also as I mentioned previously from the comments I overheard from a nurse, it's obvious they treat their patients as numbers and not real people.
Dr. Erickson was compassionate and friendly, but I never saw her besides during our initial consult so I don't feel like I can evaluate her. But since I have to use 200 characters I will say, that if a clinic is so busy, that their doctors don't even see a patient through their treatment, then they should take on less patients. Why even have a doctor?
See your patients during their cycles so they feel confident. My doctor is now retired so it doesn't really matter, but I'm sure CRM still operates like this.
During my 3 IUI cycles I too femara to stimulate follicle growth. During my last cycle I had NINE measurable follicles (it still didn't work). During my IVF cycle I was on follistim, menepur and lupron. I only produced 7 follicles. It seems like if I was able to produce so many by just taking a pill, that I should have produced a lot more by the invasive injectables. My Dr. and I weren't on the same page as far as a goal for eggs. Again, we're thankful it worked, but have no eggs frozen which means another round of IVF.
We purchased the attine program for about $22,000
We transfered one embroy which is all we had.
Minneapolis
Dr. Kuneck is very intelligent and was thorough when we actually saw him. However, that was not often. We mostly communicated with the nurses and other staff. Our only embryo transfer (which failed) was not performed by him, but rather a doctor I had never even met. My egg retrieval also was performed by another doctor in the clinic. The lack of presence was something I did not anticipate when we initially chose him as our RE. I had hoped for a doctor who was more hands on and who was more directly involved with us throughout the entire process.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I think this clinic is best for those who are the typical infertility case. Those who require a different and more customized approach, would do better elsewhere.
CRM is the busiest fertility clinic in Minneapolis with a high patient volume. Despite the countless office visits and appointments, it still felt as though I was a stranger to the staff.
The nurses were great. They were always available to answer questions. I rarely saw the same nurse twice, so I never felt like any of them really knew me. But one nurse in particular (Theresa) was amazing. I was fortunate enough to have her 2 or 3 times. She was so caring and supportive. She listened to my concerns, and really helped ease any worries or fears I may have had.
You really need to be our own advocate. Do your research and question any and everything you are doubting or concerned about.
For my retrieval, I initially was put on BCPs for 2-3 weeks, then lupron for 10 days, menopur, and Gonal F. This seems to be their go-to protocol. Fortunately, I responded well to the meds and didn't need any tweaking. They retrieved 19 eggs, 12 mature. For my FET cycle, again did BCPs for over a month. Once stopped, started lupron, then added estrace orally 3 times a day. Also 1 low dose aspirin. I started Progesterone in oil 5 days before transfer. This time I didn't respond well to the protocol, as my lining wasn't getting thick enough. I only measured 6.1 mm on day 14, so my transfer date was pushed out a week. They increased my estrace to 3 2mg tablets orally and 1 vaginally at night. On day 21, I measured 7.6 mm which they seemed to be satisfied with. I was very concerned that my lining wasn't thick enough, and suggested that maybe we cancel. We only had one embryo, so I wanted every precaution to be taken. I was told not to worry, that my lining was just fine. We went ahead and transferred our only beautiful, hatching embie, which resulted in a negative pregnancy.
We did 1 cycle of IVF with ICSI, 1 MicroTESE surgery and 1TESE surgery for my husband, egg freezing, embryo freezing, and 1 Frozen Embryo Transfer. Total our costs were upward of $30,000.
Minneapolis
The only strength [of the nurses at Ctr for Repro Med - Minnie] I can think of is timely responses to messages/voice mails, and a few of them showed compassion and caring. Most of them seemed to just want to get your visit/phone call/etc. over with so that they could get to the next person...This clinic puts everyone on birth control pills for both retrieval and transfers, in order to control your body to fit their schedule. For me, and for many other women, birth control pills wreak havoc on our emotional well being. So you will be an emotional mess while you wait two months on your birth control pills so you can fit into their schedule...
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Long wait times to get on their schedule for retrieval, transfer, etc. They obviously had a much bigger patient load then can appropriately carry. Not a single person there from receptionists, doctors, and nurses ever remembered your name, despite going there nearly daily at some points in the retrieval cycle. Not a single person ever asked me how I was doing with everything and their attitude was generally get em in and get em out.
The only strength I can think of is timely responses to messages/voice mails, and a few of them showed compassion and caring. Most of them seemed to just want to get your visit/phone call/etc. over with so that they could get to the next person.
He was friendly and had good bedside manner. We trusted him as a doctor....until we had two back to back transfer failures of PGS normal embryos and he didn't want to make any changes to our protocol. Just wanted to keep doing the same thing. I was the one who had to do all the research on things to try and bring ideas to him, most of which he shot down and seemed unwilling to do.
This clinic and doctor are very standardized - they put every patient on the same protocol and rarely change it, even if it's not working. If that's the situation you want to be in, by all means go to this clinic and doctor.
For egg retrieval: priming with birth control pills, then lupron, then stim with menopur and gonal f. No cetrotide/ganirelix. HCG trigger. For frozen transfer: birth control pills, then lupron, then prepare with estrace pills (worked up to 2mg three times a day), PIO injections after lining check. Baby aspirin.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
28k not including meds.
None, Other
The clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] was located in a rather busy area however the parking structure and the way they provided free parking to patients was very easy to work with. I felt the staff was very professional and knowledgeable too. The patient accounts staff was also very good to work with and responsive. The front office staff was professional and welcoming which made the waiting area have a nice welcoming atmosphere. The lobby had a warm and professional look to it which made you feel as though they cared enough to make their patients comfortable.
None, Other
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic was located in a rather busy area however the parking structure and the way they provided free parking to patients was very easy to work with. I felt the staff was very professional and knowledgeable too. The patient accounts staff was also very good to work with and responsive. The front office staff was professional and welcoming which made the waiting area have a nice welcoming atmosphere. The lobby had a warm and professional look to it which made you feel as though they cared enough to make their patients comfortable.
She knew who we were by name at every appointment and was always candid with us on what steps to take. She was always caring and very understanding of our needs and fears. She never rushed us in our appointments.
They were all nice. Front desk staff was very polite at all times and the lab staff was warm and welcoming each time i was there to draw blood.
I liked that she wanted to try different things with us and was willing to try them. Especially when our old doctor wouldn’t and made us feel like it wasn’t possible. She was very understanding of our fears and worries. She worked hard to explain thumbs to us and to make sure we understood the process.
Ask a lot of questions and never feel that a question is too dumb to ask. Lisa is great at explaining things. Trust her judgement.
Since we had already home through 2 previous cycles with another doctor which resulted in the embryos becoming pregnancies but eventually miscarrying, she wanted us to try 5 day versus 3 day even tho I didn’t have as many eggs. She explained her reasoning and we felt it was worth the try. She also suggested a frozen embryo transfer instead of fresh and have us background detail to support her reasoning which we understood and agreed to even tho it was added cost for us. She was very thorough with her supporting information and her own experience that we felt we could trust her judgement.
Roughly 22,000
I do not have any comments because we did multiple embryo transfer without any issues.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Nursing staff [at CRM] were SO COMPASSIONATE. They truly hoped success for us, through & through. We saw many of the nurses throughout our treatment cycle. They worked well together & no matter who we were working with, they had knowledge about our cycle.... The clinic environment was very nice & welcoming. The front desk staff could be a little more friendly. At times I didn't feel comfortable checking in or making future appts because I felt like they didn't really care to help. CRM has a free info session, which was so nice to do, before going to our first real RE appt.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
We know CRM runs a busy clinic; but it seemed like we were shuffled through like a herd every visit. We didn't like that Dr. Malo was not involved in our transfer/retrieval. There was no consistency.
Nursing staff were SO COMPASSIONATE. They truly hoped success for us, through & through. We saw many of the nurses throughout our treatment cycle. They worked well together & no matter who we were working with, they had knowledge about our cycle.
How was your experience with John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr. Malo is really a great provider. He was on his way to retirement when we saw him; so I think if we caught him sooner-we may have had better luck with our cycle. He did care for us, but I think we could have had a few more tests done to make our IVF cycle better.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Do your research. Be proactive. Be your own advocate!
Describe the protocols John Malo used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
Dr. Malo had reason to believe his routine/common IVF protocol would work for us, with ICSI. I took lupron, menopur, follistim & doxycycline as I recall, plus a trigger shot. I did need to extend the meds as they did not see enough eggs/eggs not mature enough. Eventually I was given the go ahead for retrieval. Dr. (not Malo, one of his partners) retrieved 14, 11 were mature. We thought this was great! Each day that passed in the lab, our numbers dwindled. We had two day 5 embryos come transfer day. Neither embryo implanted.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
All in all for Dr. Malo, about $13,000.00 For meds, about $2,000
Describe John Malo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
From our experience CRM was open to what we felt comfortable with.
John Malo
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, PCOS
The clinic [CCRM] has done these treatments for years, and is a like a well oiled machine. You will be treated respectfully. It can feel a little cold emotion-wise, and at times you can feel like a number...The nurses were very organized, and prompt with returning phone calls. They weren't all super outgoing, but they did their job well...While usually it was a nurse that would return my phone calls, I do recall after one failed cycle the MD [dR. Kuneck] called me to discuss my case. This was on Christmas Eve. I was impressed as he didn't have to take the time on the holiday, but he knew that I was upset, and he called anyway.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic has done these treatments for years, and is a like a well oiled machine. You will be treated respectfully. It can feel a little cold emotion-wise, and at times you can feel like a number.
While usually it was a nurse that would return my phone calls, I do recall after one failed cycle the MD called me to discuss my case. This was on Christmas Eve. I was impressed as he didn't have to take the time on the holiday, but he knew that I was upset, and he called anyway.
Dr Kuneck has been doing these treatments since the 1980's. He is very professional, and he seems to stay up to date on current literature. I liked that he had such an extensive background in the field. While he doesn't show a lot of emotion, I was happy to have someone that I could trust due to his years of experience.
He knows what he is doing and has seen a lot in his career. He's not really warm and fuzzy, but you can trust that he will be direct with you.
I have endometriosis, so he didn't want to do any injectibles with IUI for me. I did 1 timed intercourse with clomid, 1 IUI with clomid, and then 2 IUIs with femara, as the side effects with clomid were rough. I did 1 IVF treament with a fresh day 5 transfer. I'm not sure of the name, but I started with BCP, then lupron, then injectibles. Due to painful IUI's, he decided I should be under anesthesia for the IVF transfer, which was very compassionate, in my opinion.
IUI covered by insurance. IVF shared risk program---$24,000
i was instructed last minute to only transfer 1 embryo. I'm so glad that I did.
Minneapolis
We had two consults with Dr. Campbell: one for the clinic & our first IUI there, then another pre-IVF meeting, with a year between. During those meetings, it was very much stats, numbers, step-by-step process for the treatment, nothing special or unique to us...they [the staff at ghe Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] see a lot of patients, which can lead to a bit longer waits for ultrasound appts. There are multiple REs and they have a calendar of who does retrievals and transfers, which rotates every 10 days or so. As a result, your RE may not do either retrieval or transfer.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic has higher rates of IVF success, which is a strength that outweighs most weaknesses. However they see a lot of patients, which can lead to a bit longer waits for ultrasound appts. There are multiple REs and they have a calendar of who does retrievals and transfers, which rotates every 10 days or so. As a result, your RE may not do either retrieval or transfer.
We had two consults with Dr. Campbell: one for the clinic & our first IUI there, then another pre-IVF meeting, with a year between. During those meetings, it was very much stats, numbers, step-by-step process for the treatment, nothing special or unique to us. I don't know that I really expected it to be tailored though, since they hadn't done the CD3 BW to determine treatment protocol at the times we met with him. After our IVF cycle, I had a twin MC/ectopic pregnancy. During that time, when I spoke with Dr. Campbell he was very kind and made me feel treated as a person. With that said, he usually calls to deliver IVF results, but was out of the office that day and a nurse called instead, which made me feel like a number.
I saw different nurses at most appointments. They were fine. Not overly compassionate, but generally not cold. (Although the nurse who called with my IVF beta results could use a lesson in compassion, rather than saying "you're pregnant", then hedging on saying anything about the low level other than "well it's not good, you'll just have to come back.") The nurses called when they said they would to give me plans for the next day of stims, scheduling was good, etc.
He was kind, but not involved in ultrasound visits, and did not perform either my retrieval or transfer. I assume that he was involved in med changes behind the scenes during stims. After our IVF cycle resulted in a twin MC/ectopic pregnancy, he was in contact more frequently, and squeezed us in between retrievals so that he could do 2 last-minute ultrasounds to try to find the second embryo (after I had miscarried the first). He was kind and empathetic without being sappy; he told us what to expect if it was found to be an ectopic which is what we needed.
Don't expect to see him during stims for either IUI or IVF. The doctors at this clinic monitor behind the scenes and have a rotating schedule for retrievals & transfers. There is very little contact with the actual doctor during a cycle.
Antagonist protocol: 2 vials Menopur daily + 150 Follistim daily for maybe 10 days, + Ganirelex for 6 days of that. HCG trigger. Our diagnosis is unexplained infertility; my levels are all good but borderline not good. The high levels of stims are due to that. He said at our WTF meeting that he would change to a Lupron cycle if we were to do another round of IVF, in hopes that we would get more blasts. (8 of 9 mature fertilized, but only 2 made it to blast.)
$10,475 for IVF cycle, plus meds. Meds were estimated at $3,000 for me based on CD3 BW results but ended up closer to $5,000.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
A majority of my treatment was covered by a $10k insurance benefit. I believe the initial consultation was $450. CRM is extremely good at providing costs for services...I LOVE the nurses at CRM [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]! They were always very compassionate, supportive and responsive. They did a majority of my treatments (U/S, inject teaching, plan communication, IUIs) and always made me feel confident and at ease. I trusted them completely....I LOVE the nurses at CRM! They were always very compassionate, supportive and responsive. They did a majority of my treatments (U/S, inject teaching, plan communication, IUIs) and always made me feel confident and at ease. I trusted them completely.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
Dr Casey was great at treating me like a person because I never felt like she didn't remember who I was, or my case details. She remembered particular details, called me personally with results, and tailored my treatment plan to ME, not just a medical suggestion that fit my diagnosis.
Dr. Casey is great. She listened to my concerns, and didn't dismiss my specific treatment requests- if they weren't in my best interest she would explain why, and then offer options. When I explained to her that I wanted aggressive treatment, she gave me a sound plan for hopefully achieving a healthy pregnancy. The perfect combination of "to the point" and people skills.
Don't be afraid to ask for a specific treatment, or for her opinion on a course of action. She is very receptive.
I started on femara, at my request. Three cycles with Femara and TI yielded no results, so I was moved up to IUI +trigger. At this time Dr. Casey was on leave and a colleague of hers was monitoring her cases. This doctor refused to bump me to injection med with IUI+trigger, which I feel wasted cycles. I did 2 femara +IUI cycles with no result. On her return, Dr. Casey apologized for the mismanagement of my cycles while she was out, and immediately started me on an inject+trigger+IUI regimen. After my 1st failed inject/trigger/IUI cycle, my AMH was tested and was found to be .6, extremely low. We tried much higher doses of Gonal-f for my 2nd and 3rd injection IUIs, the 3rd IUI with these higher doses resulted in pregnancy and a live singleton birth.
Minneapolis
Strengths [of Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] are their availability to see many patients due to their staff. Additionally, they did work out a payment plan with me when treatment expenses exceeded the quote. It's styled to feel more "homey" if that's your thing. Weaknesses include the attitudes of the nursing staff. Additionally, when I had to come in over the weekend for monitoring, one of the other doctors was complaining about how it was his weekend to work and he didn't want to be there. It felt like the clinic was out to make money, not treat infertility.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths are their availability to see many patients due to their staff. Additionally, they did work out a payment plan with me when treatment expenses exceeded the quote. It's styled to feel more "homey" if that's your thing. Weaknesses include the attitudes of the nursing staff. Additionally, when I had to come in over the weekend for monitoring, one of the other doctors was complaining about how it was his weekend to work and he didn't want to be there. It felt like the clinic was out to make money, not treat infertility.
I only saw Dr. Casey twice during my 3 cycles of treatment. I had a different nurse every time and I didn't feel that my treatments were personalized. It was get me in and out as quickly as possible to get as many patients seen as possible.
Very matter-of-fact and didn't take the time to explain anything to me. When I questioned anything, I felt brushed off and not taken seriously.
She was friendly, but basically asked me how I wanted to proceed instead of giving her recommendation. She seemed confident I could conceive without intervention, even after 3 failed medicated cycles. I didn't feel that she had enough time to dedicate to really learning my situation and the treatment plan suffered as a result.
Demand time and specifics. Ask what the plan will be if you don't respond as predicted. Push for diagnostic testing.
I did two cycles of clomid and timed intercourse and one cycle of femara and timed intercourse. I didn't respond well to the clomid (only one follicle while taking the max dose), but did respond well to femara. I had indicated to her and the nurses that I ovulate late, but they still had me come in as if I was going to ovulate on CD14. This caused me to have to pay for additional ultrasounds which got to be very expensive. None of these cycles resulted in a positive pregnancy test.
Each cycle was extended due to my late ovulation which added at least two ultrasounds at ~350/scan. Due to this, we spent almost $5k on three cycles which was well above the estimated costs.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
[Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota[ was] wery clean, upper class, good communication. Not a clinic where anyone would know your name - you are just a number here. [Nursing staff] always had my chart in front of them, would share number results, was compassionate, thorough and intentional. A solid team!...However, towards the end of our time with [Dr Casey], the clinic was growing in patient volume and her interactions were getting less.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Very clean, upper class, good communication. Not a clinic where anyone would know your name - you are just a number here.
She didn't rush us at any time, was available via phone, and seemed to listen to all our thoughts with sincerity.
Timely response time, always had my chart in front of them, would share number results, was compassionate, thorough and intentional. A solid team!
Dr. Casey listened well, was very compassionate and driven to help us succeed. Often times though, I would need to raise my concerns to her with data on why I thought treatment should be modified and then she would agree, and change treatment. I am thankful I advocated for myself as much as I did but wish that she would have been more proactive. If I hadn't known as much about fertility as I did, I don't think certain protocols would have been used. I did appreciate her willingness to take a call and felt that she was interactive in our IUI and IVF protocols. However, towards the end of our time with her, the clinic was growing in patient volume and her interactions were getting less. When faced with a D&C, I appreciated her sharing her own experience with us to make our nerves less. She was compassionate and thorough and put our needs as a priority.
Bring questions and know she will be willing to answer them all and make sure you understand them.
All 4 of our IVF cycles with her (2 fresh, 2 frozen) had me questioning some of my blood levels and protocols used. I was worried I was over suppressed and concerned with my hormones levels. Most of the time, she was not concerned, but after visiting other doctors, my concerns were validated. I wish I knew as much then as I knew now. The protocols seemed very basic and standard (mainly pre-printed in their guide book) and I would have like to see her individualize the protocols more. When I did express concern about estradoil levels for example, sharing that oils worked better for me than patches or pills, she was willing and happy to make those protocol changes, but again, that is something only learned through experience.
I liked that they have women who are pregnant come in the afternoon, so you are never faced with a baby bump while in the waiting room. They always ran on time, had a good amount of appointments to choose from and I never had a problem!
Competitive within the Twin Cities area
2013 - 2014
I honestly can't say enough good things about this staff [at Center for Reproductive Medicine] . They became our family. The nurses there went above and beyond. They would make emergency appointments for me when I was bleeding, they would move things around to help accommodate our lifestyles. The most important thing is they were overjoyed with us when we got pregnant. They genuinely cared- you can't ask for more.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They are great at scheduling. They are fabulous at making connections with their patients. One area they could work on is avaliblity.
The nurses at the Saint Paul clinic treated us like family. They laughed, cried and prayed with us, then genuinely cared about us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota. (Assigned nurse: Center for Reproductive Medicine)
I honestly can't say enough good things about this staff. They became our family. The nurses there went above and beyond. They would make emergency appointments for me when I was bleeding, they would move things around to help accommodate our lifestyles. The most important thing is they were overjoyed with us when we got pregnant. They genuinely cared- you can't ask for more.
We had a very high risk pregnancy and retrieval. Lots of moving parts including PGS testing. He was perfect. Explained everything to a T and was able to also comfort us. He explained every option and its outcomes. He was extremely realistic.
He is honest, but knows his stuff.
I have PCOS so Dr.Malo used a protocol that involved long days of medication. I took follistim, meapour as well as citratide during my cycle. He very closely monitored my levels so I would not get OHSS. He was very careful with every dose and every medicine I took. Even though I always saw a nurse he would call me every day after my appointment to check in. He told us that the flair protocols is sometimes used for patients who have PCOS, but that often times ends in OHSS (which I got from a previous clinic). He said that he would rather do "slow and steady wins the race" instead of fast and furious.
Fresh cycle: $14,000 PGS testing: $2,500 FET: $4,300
Dr. Malo suggested that we do 1 embryo due to my age as well as the PGS testing we had done. I asked the risks for 2 embryos and he agreed that I would have a better chance of pregnancy with 2 embryos, but still have a fabulous chance of pregnancy with 1, especially with doing an FET.
John Malo
2008 - 2010
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
[Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]... was the only reproductive endocrinologist clinic I visited so I have nothing to compare it to. It may have been that I was not a quality patient in that my chances were so low from the get go with poor egg quality, but I still would like to think that doctors and nurses do what they do for the people that they can effect. Instead I felt like a disappointment to their "stats" and a number with each visit...loosing hope is devastating and having your "care team" not really care, is beyond words.
2008 - 2010
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It's one of few and this was the only reproductive endocrinologist clinic I visited so I have nothing to compare it to. It may have been that I was not a quality patient in that my chances were so low from the get go with poor egg quality, but I still would like to think that doctors and nurses do what they do for the people that they can effect. Instead I felt like a disappointment to their "stats" and a number with each visit...loosing hope is devastating and having your "care team" not really care, is beyond words.
There is very little contact with the doctor who so warmly freets you at the beginning of this "journey". And the nurses are different every time you go in to the office...and their moods very. Tremendously.
I wish I remembered their names because a few were fantastic! Warm, friendly and took the time to make you feel like you're a person. Some even like you are a person going through the toughest days of your life thus far-those nurses I wish I could go back and hug. Several were very clearly, busy. Even delivering the news that the one follicle that was there yesterday (yes 1) is suddenly gone and you are to wait weeks and then start all over. With zero emotion because the were busy washing up their hands so they could scurry on to the next patient. No compassion. How do you work here? Perhaps a blood bank would be more fitting for these nurses.
Dr. Erickson was lovely, kind, soft spoken. At our first visit I felt hopeful and in good hands. That feeling grew more and more distant with each visit and contact directly with her became almost extinct. Our hopes diminished not due to her efforts but directly related to the results. My egg quality was extremely low. I could feel that she was only proceeding due to my emotional inability to give up. At one point she was forthright in telling us if we proceed and success is not achieved, it brings their clinical numbers down. That was hurtful, although truthful...it was not my job to care and it stung that she'd even ask us to. Talk about feeling like a number. When the day came for the one egg my body had produced to be attempted to be retrieved, in all our nerves riding on that 50/50 chance she told us we had....she wasn't even there. Without warning she had sent another doctor whom I had never before met. He, not she, was the one in my haze while awaking from anesthesia to tell me we had failed. And inevitably that I would never carry or birth a child. I was crushed on several levels.
Ask her not to sugar coat and to BE SURE to inform you that you will not see her often. And ask her to please inform you should a physician other than herself be performing your procedures.
Unfortunately in the last 6 years much of this has escaped me, although when going through it all you hang onto every word, learn and know every term, the cost of every drug and the names & numbers of every pharmacy and their prices... I recall Folistim pens...lots of them. I recall vials of Bravelle and then trying Lupron. And somewhere alon the line there was Menapur. It is quite blurry...and thankfully in the rear view mirror.
It was tough...feeling like a number.
Expensive
Minneapolis
Great clinic [Center for Reproductive Med of MN], very compassionate and sensitive. They do have a sign that says no children allowed due to the sensitive nature, but on two appointments there were children in the office. Parking can be tight, but they do give you tokens for their ramp.... They were all great to work with. It seemed you worked with the same team of nurses for all your appointments. When I did get a positive ultrasound confirmation they all said see you in two years. I think that was due to us having embryos left. We did not plan on having more than one child, but it wasn't a big deal. I did miscarry so we will be seeing them asap.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Great clinic, very compassionate and sensitive. They do have a sign that says no children allowed due to the sensitive nature, but on two appointments there were children in the office. Parking can be tight, but they do give you tokens for their ramp.
Dr Lebovic sincerely cares about his patients. He is available after hours and weekends and he directly contacts you back with results, good or bad.
Dr Lebovic is great to work with. He contacted me in the wee hours of the morning when I was having symptoms of OHSS. He responded to an email on the weekend when I had found out I was having a miscarriage. He then reached out to me without prompting with ideas for the next cycle as he knew we were going to try again.
Ask anything at any time.
Egg retrieval included many medications, shots and otherwise. FET transfer was estradiol and endometrin along with baby aspirin. Protocol will be changing to PIO for the next FET.
The costs varied based on treatment and insurance coverage. They are very upfront and state all costs before you start and it is on the website.
He strongly suggested in my case we transfer one and gave pros and cons for both.
Minneapolis
The clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine of MN] was welcoming and very organized. They are able to accommodate the important timing that comes with infertility. The staff often went out of their way to help if there was a problem with insurance or a prescription... The nurses were great. They would always find out an answer to my questions if they didn't know and would share any updates with my doctor.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic was welcoming and very organized. They are able to accommodate the important timing that comes with infertility. The staff often went out of their way to help if there was a problem with insurance or a prescription.
Dr. Campbell was very kind and comforting while explaining the process of our treatments. He was always open to answering questions.
Dr. Campbell was kind and took my input into consideration when making the treatment plan. He seemed very knowledgeable and shared the pros and cons of each treatment plan. I would recommend him to other people looking for a doctor.
He will work with you and lets you make decisions about your treatment plan. He will give suggestions but overall he works with you and makes you feel like it's a team effort.
We decided to move forward with IUI after we were given our options. He suggested that since insurance covered up to 6 cycles and we weren't really sure what was causing the infertility that would be a good place to start. He did share the percentages vs that of IVF. Each cycle he would make sure I was ovulating and that everything was ready for the IUI.
Until I hit my deductible I paid for everything out of pocket.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS
I wish that I didn't have to leave a message every time I had a question and *hope* for a call back the same day [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]. Most of the time it was the next day and I never got the same person. I know some are assigned one, they can email questions, etc at other clinics...I know that CRM is a busy clinic but I never felt like I talked to the same person hardly ever. I never got to know any of the doctors or nurses as I talked to/saw someone different every time. Kind of a move em in-ship 'em out feeling.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I think the hard thing going into IVF is your expectations vs what happens. I have a couple friends who went through IVF and then just being in IVF groups you see how other clinics do things. I wish that I didn't have to leave a message every time I had a question and *hope* for a call back the same day. Most of the time it was the next day and I never got the same person. I know some are assigned one, they can email questions, etc at other clinics.
All of the nurses that I talked to worked with were nice, I just wish I was assigned one vs speaking with multiple nurses about everything. I never got the same one.
I only saw Dr. Lebovic once during my whole time at CRM and that was the initial appointment -which felt very rushed and rehearsed/scripted/same things told to everyone. I saw different doctors for each procedure but I never had him for anything even though he was my "doctor."
He is very blunt and to the point with questions and concerns.
I believe I paid around 21,000 when all was said and done.
We were told we could only transfer one the entire time we were going through our process and then on transfer day they said we could do two if we wanted.
Minneapolis
[Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota is a] good size clinic and very caring. Sometimes communications could be challenge, they do not have a nurse at phone line, so sometimes you will have to wait for hours to get hold on them to call back; however, they do call back. I wish there are other methods of communication such as email/text. Overall we were very happy with the clinic and staff.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Dr. Dan Lebovic started by give us the research and data results, he is knowledgeable and informative. He give us time to discuss and make the decision together. Once start the treatment, he will make sure you have access to himself and his team while you are under his care. He responses to our concerns and questions promptly, we feel very comfortable under his care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota. (Assigned nurse: Donna)
The nursing staff at Ctr. Repo. in Minn. is a great team. They are very organize and are willing to go extra miles for you. They will try to get you the best time possible for the appointment, they will work with your insurance, pharmacy, primary care to make sure you got the best care you need.
Dr. Lebovic is a good communicator, and he is professional and knowledgable. He makes sure we feel comfortable with every steps in the treatment, thus we entrust his opinions and cares. He will answer our question via our preference methods.
You need to understand what you need for the treatments, and If you dont always ask the questions. Dr. Lebovic will be more than happy to answer your questions.
Grand total is about 30K
Minneapolis
The clinic [Center for Reproductive Med of MN] itself is very comfortable and warm. ALL of the employees are top notch. They make a point of knowing your name. They know how To handle a sad situation/patient and they bend over backward to Help expedite fertility treatment.... They are compassionate, helpful, patient and understanding. They, and the rest of the staff, bend over backwards to help your fertility journey in any way possible. They also provide compassionate care when it’s needed but know when humor is what’s needed. I can’t imagine a better facility.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic itself is very comfortable and warm. ALL of the employees are top notch. They make a point of knowing your name. They know how To handle a sad situation/patient and they bend over backward to Help expedite fertility treatment.
Dr. Lebovic sat down and talked to my mother and I (my husband was unavailable) for over an hour explaining everything in detail, answering a million questions and Even stayed late for a procedure to expedite my fertility treatments.
Dr. Lebovic is extremely knowledgeable in his field. He is empathetic, patient, understanding, flexible and helpful. I am in the healthcare industry and want to know EVERYTHING I can about my treatment and he patiently answers my endless questions. He even gives his patients his direct email. I have NEVER seen that.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Letrozole (follicle stimulation), Follistem (FSH), ovidrel (ovulation induction) x1 without a pregnancy. He quickly analyzed my health and results and adjusted my treatment accordingly.
Dr. Lebovic assessed my insurance coverage and it trying to use the coverage as responsibility and possible. What doctor looks at your insurance coverage??
Endometriosis, Male Factor
The [Center for Repro Med of MN] were very good at preparing me for the first visit. And were also very clear about costs up front. They answered any and all of my questions quickly. They were also very responsive and great about getting me in quickly for the first appointment.... The nursing staff was so knowledgeable and cared to go into great details on the risks of every procedure. They made sure that I was aware of my options at every step of the process. I didn't have any negative feelings about the nursing staff.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The were very good at preparing me for the first visit. And were also very clear about costs up front. They answered any and all of my questions quickly. They were also very responsive and great about getting me in quickly for the first appointment.
From the moment I called to make my first appointment, to checking out from my last appointment, people always took the time to listen and answer all of my questions. They seemed to care about how I was feeling while I was there and called to check up on me afterwards.
Very communicative and compassionate. I don’t trust people easily and he made me feel more at ease. I felt more disappointed with the results than expected. But that comes with the territory. He seemed incredibly knowledgeable and kept me informed every step along the way.
Take a little more time with your patient. Or try not to make it so obvious that you have a busy schedule. Be fully present with the patient and ask more than once if they have questions before ending the appt.
Around $25K including testing
St. Paul
I believe they [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] know what they are doing and their prices are reasonable for our region. I wish we had more contact with our doctor, and hadn’t had a different doctor for both egg retrieval and embryo transfer (first time meeting both of them!).... $800 — initial consult and initial lab work $8,000 — monitoring, egg retrieval, embryo transfer $2,000 — freezing extra embryos
European, Latino
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I believe they know what they are doing and their prices are reasonable for our region. I wish we had more contact with our doctor, and hadn’t had a different doctor for both egg retrieval and embryo transfer (first time meeting both of them!).
All of our interactions with Dr. Casey were fantastic - she’s warm and positive and took time with us. However, we didn’t get to have very many interactions with her, which is what made us feel a bit like a number.
Dr. Casey was so positive that she could get me pregnant- and she was right! It was wonderful to have her confidence behind us as we moved forward with what felt like a very expensive gamble (IVF). I wish we could have interacted with her more over the course of treatment.
Don’t expect to see/hear from her, personally, often.
I am 38, with good numbers/levels, but unsuccessful at getting pregnant through IUI. I was put on an antagonist protocol and stimmed for 8 days. We retrieved 10 eggs, all mature, 9 fertilized non-ICSI (Dr. Casey did not recommend ICSI, as we were using proven donor sperm), and ended up with 7 blasts (four 5 day and three 6 day blasts). I am currently 13 weeks pregnant from our first fresh transfer of one embryo on day 5.
$800 — initial consult and initial lab work $8,000 — monitoring, egg retrieval, embryo transfer $2,000 — freezing extra embryos These are not exact numbers.
Minneapolis
They [Center for Reproductive Medicine of MN] are a specialty clinic so they know what they are doing and are organized. They only have appointments during the day so it can sometimes be difficult to work around a work schedule but they try to be as accommodating as they can.... There was a mix up in the day I was going to meet with my doctor and she wasn’t actually available. The staff went to talk with the doctor right away to get it figured out and the doctor offered to call me rather than having me come back in for an appointment.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They are a specialty clinic so they know what they are doing and are organized. They only have appointments during the day so it can sometimes be difficult to work around a work schedule but they try to be as accommodating as they can.
She took time to answer my concerns and called me to explain my options so I had time to make an educated decision.
They were warm and welcoming and made sure to answer my questions and give me the best care.
She was very kind and knowledgeable. She cares for her patients and explains all the options. She was open with the risks and took time to answer any questions or concerns. When setbacks came up she was quick to work with me to figure out the best option.
Know that she is going to care about you and is there for any questions or concerns.
She suggested injectables and clomid leading up to the IUI. She wanted to make sure there were enough eggs and increase the chances of a pregnancy. She also explained the risks of having multiples when a higher number of eggs developed.
My insurance didn’t cover any of the costs until I hit my deductible.
Minneapolis
They are high end and very professional. There are many clients so care is not super personal, but you know that they know what they're doing. I am not sure if we may get a second opinion but for now I am comfortable working with the Center for Reproductive Medicine.... The nurses at the clinic vary in their attitudes - it really depends on who is working when you go in for your appointment.... $2,000 for one cycle of IUI
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Dr. DeMario himself was very kind and gentle but doesn't sugar coat anything. He was up front about success rates and costs. The nurses at the clinic vary in their attitudes - it really depends on who is working when you go in for your appointment.
It really depends on the nurse.
At CRM you only meet the doctor once, then you see nurses for the testing and treatment. Our appointment with Dr. DeMario went well. He was knowledge and obviously has a lot of experience. I didn't feel a strong personal connection with him, but I do feel good about his expertise.
Take things one step at a time.
I took clomid to stimulate egg growth followed by two days on vaginal estrogen to help thicken the uteran lining. I then took a "trigger shot" to stimulate ovulation. Two days later, we did the IUI followed by two weeks of vaginal progesterone.
$2,000 for one cycle of IUI
St. Paul
All-in-all this is the only clinic we’ve gone to so our exposure is limited. CRM MN has been welcoming, helpful, and detail focused throughout our experience. When faced with medical insurance issues they are supportive and will go to bat for you. They have a strong team of competent practitioners.... The nursing staff is always attentive and informative. Again, further compassion for the delicate nature of this experience could make it a little more bearable.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Warm welcome, quick question responses, personalized follow up when faced with difficulty.
Great bedside manner and rational approach to medicine. Dan takes time to answer all questions thoughtfully and follows up in a timely manner. Could use a bit more of a personal touch/investment to ensure full dedication to the sensitive elements of this difficult journey.
Ask a lot of questions for full clarity.
We started with a series of hormone supplements, when that didn’t work we progressed to IUI, and after 5 failed rounds we began the IVF process and have since completed retrieval but not yet a transfer.
$1500 per IUI, $15000 per IVF
Our dr doesn’t do multiple embryo transfer unless necessary.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Strengths [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] - open most days of the year. I had one transfer on Memorial Day. Friendly staff. Clean. Weaknesses - I wish was there a 24 hours nurse line when I had a question that wasn't an emergency, but nice to have answered during the evening or weekend...I generally meet with a new nurse on most visits, but they all seemed knowledgeable about my care plan. They all seemed to care about my success.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths - open most days of the year. I had one transfer on Memorial Day. Friendly staff. Clean. Weaknesses - I wish was there a 24 hours nurse line when I had a question that wasn't an emergency, but nice to have answered during the evening or weekend.
Dr. Lebovic would personally email and call me. I felt he was very close to my fertility plan.
My fertility process definitely had highs and lows and Dr. Lebovic was a calm presence through the entire process. He was absolutely available for questions/concerns and seemed to always be aware of what was happening for my care. I, personally, appreciated his positive but realistic attitude. He was always very calm.
Be comfortable asking questions, as he seemed happy to support me and make me feel comfortable.
For 2 IUI, 1 fresh transfer and 1 frozen transfer and everything that comes with that (meds, ultrasounds, retrievals, transfers, etc.) it was just under $30,000.
3 IUI, IVF
Some of the staff that were nurses [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] were really good. Others weren’t very kind at all didn’t really pay attention to your chart had wrong cycle dates and lacks compassion...the first IUI Didn’t work because ovulation was missed but yet we still proceeded with going through with inseminating...You’d have to constantly leave messages you would never be able to speak to somebody live.
3 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I feel it’s a friendly clinic. I just feel trying to get a hold of people like the nursing staff is very very hard to do you always have to leave messages.I feel the front desk girls are really nice and they were amazing at scheduling appointments. I feel that you should be able to pick what days appointments work best for you during your work schedule especially if it falls on a weekend they don’t always like you doing
Some of the staff that were nurses were really good. Others weren’t very kind at all didn’t really pay attention to your chart had wrong cycle dates and lacks compassion
I feel she was a good provider. I feel she has a fresh brain since she’s new to the clinic. I do wish that I’d had more communication with her. It was a lot more communicating with the nurses instead of the actual provider. I think she’s a very very down to earth provider and makes a good connection with each patient.
You will really like her she’s very kind caring person.
I feel that it’s pretty expensive to be able to see them. You have to take out loans in order to proceed with IVF Because most insurances won’t cover things you have to have a financial plan and it’s expensive to receive help in order to get pregnant
9 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
The clinic [Center for Repro Med of MN] is very efficient and handles a large number of patients, but you still feel like you’re important when you’re there. When you first start you are walked through everything. I never felt like I was lost in the shuffle... You see a different nurse with each iui you have. They are very thorough and take the time to answer your questions. There is also a nurse line where you can call. I’ve had nurses there be a little more curt or in a hurry than they are in person, but overall a good experience with the nurses
9 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic is very efficient and handles a large number of patients, but you still feel like you’re important when you’re there. When you first start you are walked through everything. I never felt like I was lost in the shuffle
When I met with the doctor he made me feel welcome and did not judge the fact that I was doing this as a single woman.
He was very thorough and direct in his explanation and the odds of me becoming pregnant at my age. He also went over the possibility of donor egg if I wasn’t able to conceive on my own. I felt like he had my best interest in mind and wasn’t just another number or annoyance in his day. If I had questions, the nurse would relay it to him and I’d get an answer pretty quickly
I’ve been taking letrozole, follistim and a trigger shot of ovidrel for my IUIs. With all 4 I’ve followed the same regiment since they have been producing good sized follicles for my iui.
Minneapolis
The clinic [CRM Mpls] is clean and welcoming. It is organized and able to be flexible with appointments. The clinic staff are friendly and also easy to get ahold of when needed. The phlebotomist is very nice and does the best job with the blood draws....You see a different nurse each time, so some of them I got along with better than others. However, the nurses are all friendly and willing to take the time to answer questions
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic is clean and welcoming. It is organized and able to be flexible with appointments. The clinic staff are friendly and also easy to get ahold of when needed. The phlebotomist is very nice and does the best job with the blood draws.
Dr Casey will call me directly with more important lab results and other information. She came in early one morning to meet with us about our plan and she is always available to answer questions.
Dr Casey calls me directly with test results and to discuss the plan moving forward. She asks us how we’re feeling about the plan and let’s us decide for ourselves what will be best for us. Dr Casey is optimistic in a reassuring way and is also compassionate when things don’t go as planned.
Dr Casey is not as touchy freely as some doctors and is more direct and to the point
Monitoring appointments were so easy and quick. Your scheduled at a certain time and almost always the clinic is running on time or sometimes a little ahead of schedule. I was usually in and out within 30 minutes
Dr Casey provided us with the information needed and then fully allowed us to decide how many embryos to transfer
Minneapolis
Jan [nurse at CRM] has been there forever and is excellent; caring, compassionate, hard working, remembers you as a person...Feel like cattle. So many women processed through on any given morning. Care is not personalized...Quite expensive compared to national averages. Higher success rates though. FET $5k (plus meds)...DeMario did 2 FET's for us. Used the same protocol that Dr. Malo established for us 2 years earlier. Didn't change anything regardless of test results.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
He never remembered any details about my case. It seems like he didn't even review my file before any meeting. Consistently asked the same questions over and over.
Jan has been there forever and is excellent; caring, compassionate, hard working, remembers you as a person.
He is not compassionate, he doesn't see you as a person. Doesn't remember anything from prior meetings. Generally seems confused. Very frustrating for someone who is in a vulnerable position. I had no choice but to use him as my prior RE at the clinic retired. Total difference of night and day between DeMario and Malo. Dr Malo always knew where I was at and what my history was. Made me feel like a patient and not a payment, which is how I feel when I see DeMario.
Go to the Minneapolis clinic and see a different RE in the CRM clinic.
St. Paul
I thought the nursing staff [at Ctr for Repro Med - Minnie] was excellent. They were clearly well trained and compassionate. Very professional and friendly...This is an excellent fertility clinic. The staff is well-trained but busy. They sometimes triple-book appointments, so they'll take the person who signs in first. Get there early. I never had to wait very long for my appointments.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I had a very short time frame in which to complete the cycle of treatment due to a cancer diagnosis three years previously. We had to put off a pregnancy for a couple of years. Unfortunately, we didn't conceive naturally quickly enough so we had to use the IVF route. Once we decided to go forward with IVF, Dr. Campbell personally returned my phone call in order to set up the first appointments. I also appreciated that he came into the waiting area on our first visit.
I thought the nursing staff was excellent. They were clearly well trained and compassionate. Very professional and friendly.
I thought Dr. Campbell was an excellent doctor. He explained the process thoroughly so I knew what to expect at each step. He was not overly optimistic about our chances, but I understand that there is a lot of failure in IVF and he didn't want to get our hopes up. I thought he was very kind given our circumstances.
11,000 for fertility treatment, I think....
Minneapolis
There was no consistency among nurses [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]. I had a different one every time I came in. Some were great and some not as friendly....I waited weeks for PGS results from Geneis Genetics. I was told Friday afternoon that results did not come in though Genesis said they were released. I finally found out results Monday due to Dr. Campbell not finding the results that were sent. It was painful to wait so long for news of whether we had a healthy embryo or not.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Nice looking, downtown so traffic is an issue, but this clinic has the best data with the most success. They are doing something right. Their embryologist were successful with our embryo.
There was the initial ,setting where he seemed very genuine and kind but from then on there was little communication until we got to the ultrasounds of seeing our baby.
There was no consistency among nurses. I had a different one every time I came in. Some were great and some not as friendly.
I saw him for three appointments. The initial consultation and two ultrasound ch do ups on baby's heartbeat. I felt like a number and while I enjoyed meeting with him, there was never any other communication.
He's very knowledgeable but very important and busy and the nurses will do most of the communicating. Plus, he was not present for egg retrieval or transfer.
Had 11 eggs, 8 fertilized, 4 made it to day 5 biopsy and testing. 1 of the 4 embryos were normal after PGS testing. We transferred and have a wonderful 4 month old.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Some of the nurses were very nice, a couple were not. The clinic is a well oiled machine, I'll give them that...Dr. Campbell seems very old school. He likes to use the standard protocols, instead of adjusting them to your case. If you are a cookie cutter fertility patient he'd be just fine for you. However if you are a more complex case, I would look elsewhere...After multiple iuis and 4 fresh IVF cycles, if I passed him on the street he probably wouldn't even recognize me, definitely wouldn't know my name. Never even called after our 4th failed IVF and 2nd miscarriage.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Do your research, have multiple consults with different RE's at any of the MN clinics. Make sure you can easily say you think Dr. Campbell will be the best fit for you.
#1 Long Lupron - BFN. #2 Antagonist -BFN Microdose Lupron Flare - Chemical. #4 - started off as an iui with injectables, we made the call to switch it to an IVF. Best production we had as I was not on bcps for priming, which was used every other cycle at Dr. Campbell's insistence. This cycle resulted in a blighted ovum.
It was a well oiled machine, however sometime you did have a pretty long wait, but not too many times.
Minneapolis
This clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] is very efficient, so you are not assigned a specific nurse or anything. Everyone there helps all of the patients. So its not quite as touchy feely or "warm" as I think others probably are...They don't mind answering tons of questions.
European, South Asian
This clinic is very efficient, so you are not assigned a specific nurse or anything. Everyone there helps all of the patients. So its not quite as touchy feely or "warm" as I think others probably are. But their outcomes are outstanding, which to me was the most important thing. It's also not like they are cold or anything, but they're not there to coddle you, they are there to get you pregnant. Everyone is very helpful.
They dont mind answering tons of questions. There were multiple days that I felt silly calling about something that was probably trivial, but I just wanted to be sure everything was OK, and the nurses never made me feel like my question was unimportant.
Paul is a really good guy, who cares a lot about his patients. Even though I didnt see him most of the time I went in, he reviewed my chart every single time I went in. I would hear from him or his nurse later that day if there was any change in my treatment or medications based on his review. And I did see him every time I went in for an ultrasound after my pregnancy was confirmed!
Trust him
2012 - 2015
Nearly everyone [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] was compassionate, professional and organized. Rarely did I encounter a grumpy face. It made all the treatment that much better...We were dealing with MFI and chose to use donor sperm. She [Dr. Colleen Casey] tested my AMH and based on that and a clear HSG, recommended three natural IUI cycles followed by Clomid if we weren't successful. We were successful and conceived on the first IUI both times and now have two wonderful daughters.
2012 - 2015
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It's a little overwhelming with all the options and insurance coverage etc but I think that is true of any clinic. Take good notes, do your research and ask questions.
Colleen Casey is attentive, knowledgeable, thoughtful, and listened to and considered all my concerns. She was very patient and understanding with us.
Nearly everyone was compassionate, professional and organized. Rarely did I encounter a grumpy face. It made all the treatment that much better.
Colleen Casey is an extremely bright, well-researched, thoughtful and attentive physician. I am 100% grateful to have had her care. Even when we encountered our own personal setbacks, she was patient and understanding, and recommended consistently helpful courses of treatment.
Trust her but also don't be afraid to ask hard questions and propose alternatives - she will listen.
We were dealing with MFI and chose to use donor sperm. She tested my AMH and based on that and a clear HSG, recommended three natural IUI cycles followed by Clomid if we weren't successful. We were successful and conceived on the first IUI both times and now have two wonderful daughters.
My insurance covered 90% of the procedure fees
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
There were a number of errors [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota], the biggest that they did not inform me of a change in my medication protocol until too late. Even if that did not affect my cycle medically, the stress was enormous....Paul Kuneck was really great as a physician but his staff has some major weaknesses that made the process unpleasant and stressful at times.
Standard
Some of the nurses were fantastic (Stacy) and others were absolutely terrible- there was one with a high pitched baby voice that was incredibly condescending every time and sometimes medically inaccurate as well (I'm in healthcare).
Dr. Kuneck is a smart, caring physician. He seems to be on his way to retirement so availability was not always great and he does not make himself very accessible to patients- it always felt like you have to go through an army of nurses and blocks to get any direct access to him.
Schedule regular face to face appointments with him in advance- you can cancel if you need to but otherwise you won't see him for months.
agonist, antagonist protocols- we failed almost every cycle so I'm not sure what would be useful for others. We did go to ICSI on the 2nd IVF and I would not wait to do this.
My insurance covered much of this but the costs were still enormous, but expected.
PCOS, Unexplained
They [the staff at Center for Reproductive Medicine] were helpful, supportive, got back to you quickly, and as a lesbian couple, we always felt welcomed and included...For IVF: Around $10 - $11K for the procedure, another $2-3K in medication co-pays, monitoring, etc. For IUIs we paid office visit and medication copays and sperm, but my insurance covered the rest...There are a lot of doctors and nurses - it felt like we always got the information we needed, quickly, and I never had any trouble making appointments.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I felt like she knew my name and my wife's name, remembered who we were friends with (other patients), and seemed to legitimately care about us.
They were helpful, supportive, got back to you quickly, and as a lesbian couple, we always felt welcomed and included.
Dr. Erickson was great - she communicated clearly and honestly - sometimes too honestly. She definitely "tells it like it is" and might be a bit blunt for some people. But I appreciated that we always knew exactly where we stood.
Be prepared to hear some blunt truths.
We did one unmedicated IUI, then five IUIs with Femara. When these were not successful, we moved to IVF and were successful in the first round.
She strongly encouraged us to transfer one, but acknowledged that most people choose to transfer two, and said it would be up to us. In the end, we only had one embryo, so it wasn't a decision we had to make.
2011 - 2013
They [CRM MPLS] are excellent doctors, extremely good at what they do. Very caring... I always felt respected and cared for there....Approximately $3000 per IUI cycle and $17000 per IVF cycle. This was with the medications. Maybe $10000 for procedures and $7000 for meds....Dr. Erickson always took the time to talk to me and explain things. She showed emotion and empathy with each failed cycle....She was genuinely happy for me when IVF finally worked. She said encouraging things to me.
2011 - 2013
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They are excellent doctors, extremely good at what they do. Very caring.
Dr. Erickson always took the time to talk to me and explain things. She showed emotion and empathy with each failed cycle. She was genuinely happy for me when IVF finally worked. She said encouraging things to me.
I can't remember details, but I always felt respected and cared for there.
She was great. Very informative, honest, and caring. She took the time to call me personally with each pregnancy test result. She was smart and sensitive. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Listen to her advice.
I did 4 cycles of clomid and IUI, with trigger shot. Then three cycles of IVF, menapur, follistem, bravelle...can't remember exactly. Trigger shot. Lenapur (?) at some point. Transferred 3 fresh embryos at 5 days each cycle.
She suggested I transfer 3 each time due to my age. I was fine with that.
2007 - 2012
I was happy with my care overall [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of MN]. I had many blood tests and many of the nurses were from a temp group at times - it was nice to see the regulars. The front door staff was helpful. Perhaps have a larger waiting room for more space. Overall very satisfied since the results were quality and they always took time to discuss all the alternatives.
2007 - 2012
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
No complaints good location. I live nearby so it was quite convenient. I was happy with my care overall. I had many blood tests and many of the nurses were from a temp group at times - it was nice to see the regulars. The front door staff was helpful. Perhaps have a larger waiting room for more space. Overall very satisfied since the results were quality and they always took time to discuss all the alternatives.
Very supportive and helpful.
They varied by there level of experience some were more helpful than others.
Bruce Campbell has extensive knowledge and experience very happy to work with him as a patient. He kept our interest in mind on the journey. He met with us to discuss our options and alternatives always helping us to feel welcome and listened to throughout the process. He took the time to meet with us several times and made personal calls to express good news to us!
Trust in his ability to know the right choices.
Due to age he provided multiple embryos - always very cautious and checked with me on concerns.
Costly.
Describe Bruce Campbell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The choice was for multiple due to my age.
2006 - 2012
[The nursing staff at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota is] Kind and compassionate. Always available by phone and able to call back when needed...Everyone from the front desk to the doctors kind of compassion. They treated you like you were an individual and not just a number. Even though the waiting room is full of people and wait you didn’t know what they were going through you still felt unique in that clinic with the nurses and the staff and the doctor
2006 - 2012
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Human! They were kind and compassionate
She was honest yet kind. Even when having to deliver difficult news or poor outcomes based on our circumstances she never gave up on us since we had the tools to work with. And That was the most important thing to me.
Ask a lot of questions and never leave without fully understanding the next steps
Luckily for us we had planned to do injections with our UI. But ended up getting pregnant on Met Forman and Clomid for me. As well as a bunch of vitamins and lifestyle changes for my husband’s in fertility issues.
Minimal. As I never got to the IUI OR IVF part.
No Experience. But she did say if we had to do IVF she would only transferred to embryos or one
2011
As a single mom by choice, I felt supported and not judged [by Center for Reproductive Medicine - Minneapolis]....The nurses were very calm and reassuring. The nurse who helped with the insemination helped me to relax....I had to pay for the sperm. Everything else was covered by my insurance....Make an appointment with her [Dr. Colleen Casey]--she may not have as much experience as others in the clinic, but I would see her again in a heartbeat. I am a single mom by choice, and she was supportive of my journey.
2011
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
As a single mom by choice, I felt supported and not judged.
Dr Casey reassured me that the test results from a previous clinic were not ones that she was concerned about. She was realistically confident about my chances to successfully get pregnant.
I came to Dr Casey after I was told by a different clinic that I had "old eggs" and that conceiving would be very difficult. During my consultation with Dr. Casey, I felt reassured and confident that trying IUI again was worthwhile. She explained the process thoroughly.
Make an appointment with her--she may not have as much experience as others in the clinic, but I would see her again in a heartbeat. I am a single mom by choice, and she was supportive of my journey.
I did one IUI cycle with Clomid. She recommended doing only one, well timed insemination. I got pregnant during this first cycle with her.
I had to pay for the sperm. Everything else was covered by my insurance.
IUI, 1 IVF
[Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota was] Extremely organized! They have the process down. Great doctors! I've loved all who have helped me. They need an online portal and ability to email nurses. Update the rooms to be a bit more welcoming...[nurses were] Very organized and prompt. However, would be nice to have a team dedicated to you instead of a new person each time.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
When I had my miscarriage he was on call with anything I needed.
He's quiet and a tad awkward but it's because he's very into the medical breakdown and science behind his position. He's extremely caring and open to talk to. He's also very eager and active, he's happy to talk about any questions or jump on a phone call.
Give him a chance
I only went to him for IVF. So here's that: 1. Met with him in his office 2. Nurse consult 3. Baseline tests 4. Mock transfer 5. Egg Retrieveal 6. Embryo Transfer 7. BETA 2 Weeks later
He seems to favor single embryo transfer but that could be because of the quality of my eggs
IUI, 1 IVF
Large clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota-Minneapolis]...long waits for appointments at times, and getting booked for an IVF cycle. Communication was good. Procedures and protocols were clear. Nurses were good about returning phone calls... Very large clinic Minimal contact with doctor Very rarely were changes made to standard protocol... Fresh ivf - about 15,000 Frozen transfer- about 5,000
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Large clinic...long waits for appointments at times, and getting booked for an IVF cycle. Communication was good. Procedures and protocols were clear. Nurses were good about returning phone calls
Dr. Casey was always very kind and made us feel comfortable. Because of the size of the clinic, we rarely saw her and contact was minimal and primainly done through nurses. Having a different doctor perform each procedure was also hard as we had to put our trust into a new person each step of the way. I think it would have been a different if we were able to work with Dr. Casey more frequently.
Dr. Casey is a caring doctor with a lot of expertise. Because of the size of the clinic, just be prepared to work with other doctors throughout your journey.
Fresh ivf - about 15,000 Frozen transfer- about 5,000
6 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
The clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine] was located in a good location, easy access and parking, clinic was nice, clean, and organized. I never waited very long at all for any appt. I do not have a bad thing to say. I would recommend this clinic to anyone...All were great, I did not have a bad experience with the nurses or lab technicians...I used donor embryo transfer with Dr. Lisa Erickson, so that was like the second half of an IVF cycle. I did 60 days of progesterone shots.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic was located in a good location, easy access and parking, clinic was nice, clean, and organized. I never waited very long at all for any appt. I do not have a bad thing to say. I would recommend this clinic to anyone.
Dr Lisa Erickson was the kindest doctor I have ever met. She treated me like I was her only patient ever.
Dr Lisa Erickson is the kindest doctor I've ever met. She treated me like I was her only patient. If she hadn't retired, I would've only recommend her. She explained everything in detail and she was very compassionate.
Unfortunately, Dr. Lisa Erickson had retired.
I paid around $10k under Dr Erickson. I paid about $30K overall
She recommended transferring 1 embryo, I chose to transfer 2 embryos, they both implanted, but I did lose one around 9 weeks. I gave birth to one healthy baby.
Minneapolis
Don't go in [to the Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] expecting hand holding or warm and fuzzy. If you like direct and come in informed about your own treatment, you will have a better experience...The clinic is organized, clean, and comfortable. I always felt like they had up to date technology and were willing to spend money on the facilities. Also, they pay for parking which is a small thing but it is nice. My previous clinic charged for parking at every visit which was annoying and added up.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I never felt like anyone in the clinic really knew who I was or cared too much about personally but they were responsive if I said I needed emotional support.
The nurses are extremely organized and come in the room knowing the case and knowing the treatment plan.
I chose Dr. Kuneck after another clinic because I felt confident in his abilities. He is very experienced and understood my treatment goals. He was always direct which I appreciated and at the end of the day, I got my healthy singleton.
Don't go in expecting hand holding or warm and fuzzy. If you like direct and come in informed about your own treatment, you will have a better experience.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
[Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota is] Professional and clean. The staff seems to enjoy their jobs and they do everything that they can to make your appointment go as smoothly as possible. Good, easy scheduling process. Weekend hours for monitoring are great. Parking is sometimes hard to find downtown...[the nursing staff is] Very compassionate...Dr. Kuneck is very kind, caring and thorough but he gets to the point. He doesn’t sugarcoat anything or leave anything out. He explains things appropriately and gives you time to ask questions as needed.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
He’s a busy doctor so he doesn’t remember details about each patient but it does seem like he cares
Very compassionate
Make a list of questions and take notes when you talk to him
We did IUI with Letrozole 2.5 x 2 for days 3-12 and used an Ovidrel trigger.
Minneapolis
In mpls [Center for Reproductive Medicine-Minneapolis] I felt like a number. In St. Paul location I was a patient.... Mpls clinic was always late.... Nurses in St. Paul were amazing!! Always listened me to questions and concerns... I had ultrasound on cd 2/3. I took femara cd 3-7. Follow up ultrasound on cd 10 w trigger shot. Then iui on day 12 w starting progesterone the next day. He said do 4 cycles and come back.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Mpls clinic was always late
In mpls I felt like a number. In St. Paul location I was a patient
Nurses in St. Paul were amazing!! Always listened me to questions and concerns
He's a kind man but very to the point. He explained things in good details to understand. I only met with him in the beginning and then to review the next steps. He was very thorough with explaining everything and procedures to me.
He's to the point
I'm not sure, my insurance pays a lot
Endometriosis, PCOS
I have really enjoyed working with Dr. Casey thus far. We are just in the midst of our treatments, post transfer, but do not know the results yet. I appreciate her specific attention to patients, and she seems to remember me when I see her - though it [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] is a VERY busy clinic. Though, for retrievals and transfers, you see the doctor on for the week. I had Dr. Casey for my retrieval, but my transfer was with a different Doctor. I do wish that I would have had the consistency of the same physician throughout the process, but I understand the need to do it this way with scheduling.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Very prompt with return phone xalls
I have really enjoyed working with Dr. Casey thus far. We are just in the midst of our treatments, post transfer, but do not know the results yet. I appreciate her specific attention to patients, and she seems to remember me when I see her - though it is a VERY busy clinic. Though, for retrievals and transfers, you see the doctor on for the week. I had Dr. Casey for my retrieval, but my transfer was with a different Doctor. I do wish that I would have had the consistency of the same physician throughout the process, but I understand the need to do it this way with scheduling.
They're fairly good. Not terribly warm.
Be prepared with good questions
2012 - 2013
The nurses would come in with the wrong charts, not have the treatment plan. I had to remind them of the current protocol and tell them the plans we had discussed in the previous appointment. It was a little scary....Disorganized, shabby, charged for parking and they had a rude receptionist.
2012 - 2013
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Disorganized, shabby, charged for parking and they had a rude receptionist.
People were nice but it wasn't clear they knew me or remembered my treatment plan.
I only met him twice. He seemed super cautious in his treatment protocol.
Be your own advocate.
Lots and lots of letrozole with and without IUI. I never had a positive pregnancy test.