Genetic counseling: Offered
Minneapolis, MN 55407
991 Sibley Memorial Highway
St. Paul, MN 55118
651-379-3110
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota to a friend?

Very disorganized. I sat in the office [Ctr for Reprod Med of Mininnesota] on more than one occasion waiting to be called back after checking in, and turned out that my file had just been sitting on the desk, never taken back to the nurses. Almost never got called back when leaving messages for the nurseline, and they didn't stagger staff so there was never anyone working over the lunch hour....Costs for treatment were very reasonable compared to other clinics.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Very disorganized. I sat in the office on more than one occasion waiting to be called back after checking in, and turned out that my file had just been sitting on the desk, never taken back to the nurses. Almost never got called back when leaving messages for the nurseline, and they didn't stagger staff so there was never anyone working over the lunch hour.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I never got to talk to my doctor...I had no idea what my treatment should look like or why- I just kept calling and going in for baselines month after month with no results and no feedback.
You had a different nurse every time you came into the clinic. I honestly maybe saw one nurse more than one time. Felt very businesslike and impersonal. The nurses themselves were all nice, but none seemed to have any answers to any of my questions and I always left confused.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
How was your experience with Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Meg was compassionate on the first meeting and very hopeful. Then, I only saw her twice in 6 moths of treatment. Didn't see her again till I cried and said I was going to another clinic. Thr treatment plan wasn't explained further and I just kept going back in for more IUIs even though there was no regroup to see why nothing was happening.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
You need to ask specially to have her call you, or you will never hear from her again and will have a new nurse every time you enter the clinic.
Describe the protocols Meg Hopeman used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
No rational for any treatment. I used letrozole 3 times/day for multiple IUIs, then changed to Gonal f 300 for the last two.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Costs for treatment were very reasonable compared to other clinics. You get what you pay for though.
Minneapolis

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.

The clinic [Center for Repro Med of MN] is located in a busier part of town, which isn't always convenient at rush hour times. Overall, the clinic is very nice and is clean. Occasionally the front desk staff isn't always the most kind to overly emotional patients.... Overall, the nursing staff at the clinic did a great job. I saw difference nurses at each appointment, but they were always willing to answer all questions I had.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic is located in a busier part of town, which isn't always convenient at rush hour times. Overall, the clinic is very nice and is clean. Occasionally the front desk staff isn't always the most kind to overly emotional patients.
During my visits, Dr. Hopeman remembered who I was, and what we had talked about. She did a great job making us feel like we mattered, and offering all of her best thoughts and opinions for our care. She made us feel reassured that it was definitely possible for us to have children.
Overall, the nursing staff at the clinic did a great job. I saw difference nurses at each appointment, but they were always willing to answer all questions I had. If they were not able to answer, they always asked Dr. Hopeman in a timely manner, and called with the answer that day. They were very compassionate and empathetic towards me at all appointments.
Dr. Hopeman did a great job explaining what to expect with every appointment we had with her. She went into great detail explaining each part of the process and trying to make whatever we chose work for our plan and our schedule. She constantly reviewed our chart, and made changes as she saw fit. I was always updated with the plan in a timely manner. Scheduling appointments was easy, and convenient.
Go in with as many questions as possible. She will answer all of them!
We began using Clomid with IUI. Our ultrasounds had to be adjusted based off ovulating before triggering. After 3 cycles with Clomid, we sat down with her to discuss moving on to IVF or trying IUI with injectables. Both options were presented very clearly, and also presented us with multiple reasons why we could try either option. After laying out all of the reasons for each, we tried doing IUI with injectables. She was very willing to do however many cycles we chose to do, and move on to IVF whenever we felt comfortable. She often adjusted meds based off of response for desired effect with great stim results.
I had some insurance coverage, so I am unsure of all associated costs. Doing some research before hand, costs seem pretty inline with other clinics in the area.
Describe Meg Hopeman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
For our IVF cycle, she has a strong preference of transferring only 1 embryo because of the risks involved with multiples, and being young.

2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
They [CRM of MN] need to focus more on the patient and their experience. More hand holding...checking on the patient ....educating the patient on every step and what to expect. Don’t just assume we know. ... I dealt with several nurses throughout my journey. Some great but others not so great. ... I didn’t feel important. ... There were times I was so sad and confused and had no clue what was happening at all the ultrasounds leading up to the egg retrieval, and the nurses just treated you like cattle herding. Just another one girl and keep them moving.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They need to focus more on the patient and their experience. More hand holding...checking on the patient ....educating the patient on every step and what to expect. Don’t just assume we know. Don’t be afraid to stop the nurse and ask questions. They owe you the time and curtesy of making sure you feel secure about your choice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr.Lebovic made me feel important no matter what time of day it was and no question was ever silly or bothersome to him. I could email him with concerns or questions and within 15 minutes he would respond to me. I felt secure knowing he was my doctor.
I dealt with several nurses throughout my journey. Some great but others not so great. There were times I was so sad and confused and had no clue what was happening at all the ultrasounds leading up to the egg retrieval, and the nurses just treated you like cattle herding. Just another one girl and keep them moving. I didn’t feel important. As a new person to IVF, I had no clue what to expect but I certainly didn’t feel like a special patient going through one of the hardest things ever in life and spending thousands of dollars.
How was your experience with Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr. Lebovic is a very kind and gentle soul. He is very honest and doesn’t tell you what you want to hear, instead he is a straight shooter but he has a way of doing so that is compassionate and empathetic. He is different from other physicians in the regard that he makes himself available to his patients via email. I can’t tell you how much that meant to me on my journey with IVF. There were many times I had a question and didn’t think I should have to spend $100 for a meeting to ask one question since I was already spending thousands and thousands on the ivf process. He made himself available via email and never made me feel bad if I reached out to him. He made me feel important and on this journey, you need someone like that because it is extremely taxing on your soul.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Be prepared to go through a lot but know that you will have an honest doctor that will tell you the truth and support you all the way.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
We spent over $50k. 2 IUI, 2 egg retrieval with 1 viable transfer, 2 blast through Cryos and 1 transfer.
Describe Dan Lebovic's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
He was very honest with me about transfering only one. He said it would not be a good idea health wise but also it really would not increase my chances of success but rather increase my chances of multiples. And that would not be healthy for me at 40 years old
Minneapolis

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.

My one real critique would be with a couple of issues I've had with billing [Ctr for Repro Med of MN]. It has all been worked out eventually, but confusion has been caused by bills being sent for services already paid for. We paid in clinic yet received a bill in the mail several days later. ... One of the ladies cheered me up one day when she complimented my purse and we had a chat about it.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The coffee in the waiting room is not good. Parking in the ramp next to the clinic is easy and free. Clean, nice, and welcoming. Scheduling and other front end staff are accommodating and personable. One of the ladies cheered me up one day when she complimented my purse and we had a chat about it. My one real critique would be with a couple of issues I've had with billing. It has all been worked out eventually, but confusion has been caused by bills being sent for services already paid for. We paid in clinic yet received a bill in the mail several days later. Called and it was cleared up but still caused me anxiety. Another time I paid a bill online, but apparently picked the wrong clinic (sister clinic across town). Again caused anxiety and confusion. Had to call to correct. Was told it would take a couple of weeks to process but would be corrected. Was told it happens frequently when paying online.
She's easy to talk to and listens very well. She is willing to explain and elaborate on any questions or concerns I have had. She was present at a radiology procedure at different location from the regular clinic at which I had not expected her to be there. I do not feel rushed at our appointments.
The nursing staff has been fantastic overall. The one miscommunication we have had was during the first round of timed intercourse, we were told to take a pregnancy test 3 weeks instead of 2 weeks after. Ended up getting my period before I took the pregnancy test. There are 3 main nurses I have dealt with on the roughly 15 visits I have had with the clinic. They are all great, but I do have my favorite, mostly because she is really enthusiastic and chats with me, which helps me feel enthusiastic and hopeful as well.
She is caring and thorough. After calling and leaving questions with the office, Dr. Hopeman has personally called me back twice to address my concerns. She seems to legitimately care. She wants to ensure that I understand fully what is going on with my treatment. I like that she draws out illustrations to help me get it. I keep a binder with all the info we have talked about; looking back after several appts I noticed the drawings again and it made me chuckle, both because I was amused and also that it reminded me of our conversations. She is endearing.
Come prepared, dont hesitate to ask or clarify anything, including costs and risks.
We started out with testing to find out what the cause of our infertility was. Her treatment recommendation was to start off with IUI. There was no issue with my husband's sperm or function, I had plenty of follicles, but they were not maturing or releasing. We started with 5 days of letrozole, followed by an injection of ovidrel to help release an egg. First two rounds we did timed intercourse, but the letrozole and ovidrel doses were increased for the second round. 3rd round we did IUI. 4th round was iui again, but added Follistim on cycle days 9-11, as well as progesterone capsules vaginally twice a day starting the day after the iui. We are currently in the 2 week wait to see about this recent round. Follicle growth has been monitored throughout by internal ultrasound (Husband calls it getting wanded, lol). Typically baseline ultrasound day 3-5 of cycle, then a growth ultrasound on day 12, then an additional ultrasound 2 or 3 days later prior to triggering. If negative pregnancy test again for the most recent round, we will likely switch from letrozole to clomid for 1 more round, then take a pause and consider how to move forward.
Just dealing with iui, not ivf, including treatment, monitoring and meds, it has been over $2000 per cycle. This has been all out of pocket for us, since my insurance through my employer does not cover fertility treatment.
Due to our current treatment regimen, we have not yet had that conversation with Dr. Hopeman.

5 IUI, IVF
The clinic is well organized, well staffed, and extremely efficient. It is a pleasant environment, but I would not describe it as a warm environment - similar to the staff. What I liked most about it (other than the fact that I had a successful treatment) is that they are open early, so I could get a lot of my appointments done before heading in to work, and that they are super responsive on the phone, which is very useful.
5 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I usually try not to pick the middle of a scale on a question, but this really was in the middle - not quite like a number, not quite like a human either. The clinic has no warm atmosphere, but it's not super clinical either. It's just "this is all business, and our business is these treatments", but it's not "our business is trying to grow families", if you see the distinction. In any case, they know their treatments, and it worked, so heck, I am happy!!
The nursing staff was always super well prepared and organized for whatever needed to happen - and there were so many appointments and pieces of the treatment, that I was always grateful for that (as I often had a hard time keeping track of things). However, much like Dr. Casey and the clinic overall, there was little warmth that showed through in our interactions. This was strange to me in the beginning, as it did not match my expectations. Going back for a second IVF treatment now, I know what to expect and it does not bother me much. I also realized something else: that if I ask more personal questions, nursing staff will often respond in kind - in fact, at my last appointment, I found out that one of the nurses I was always weary of because she always seemed to me to be annoyed, in fact has twins born as a result of IVF at this clinic, and she talked freely and warmly about it to me when I asked. So that just shows me that the staff follows a very business-like, rather cool, protocol with patients for reasons they must think are very good, and I will leave it at that.
How was your experience with Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr. Casey is knowledgeable, direct, and takes the time to explain things in detail. She always went over our questions, even when we asked the same thing twice, or wanted things diagrammed or drawn out to understand them. She was also really pleasant when doing actual procedures with us. However, I would not say there was a true sense of warmth or investment in us as a couple, beyond just as patients. That is find I think, but it did not necessarily match my expectations before coming to this clinic. However, going back for a second treatment now, after a successful IVF pregnancy, I just know what to expect and it does not bother me. I appreciate even more Dr. Casey's matter of fact manner and her ability to help us cut through our own wishy-washiness. For instance, we were hemming and hawing about doing another IVF treatment right away, and asked whether we should maybe try naturally or try another IUI. She did not tell us what to do obviously, but quoted us some statistics that clarified where our chances stand. So I found that useful - no coddling, but rather straight information.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Come with questions, make sure you call if you think of anything else (because either she or her nurses will call back, which is always nice and useful); and finally, do not expect a super warm and engaged doctor - just a straightforward, knowledgeable, professional one.
Describe Colleen Casey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Given my age (over 40) Dr. Casey was willing to transfer two embryos, which is what I wanted.
Minneapolis

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.

IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic [Ctr for Repro Med of MN] is set up nicely and organized well into subsections based on appointment type. The waiting room is set up in such a way to give you a sense space even when crowded. They also focus on scheduling IVF patients in batches. ... However, aside from the obvious knowledge and skill of the nursing staff, I was surprised that at times our interactions with the staff felt very clinical. By this point in our journey we had been through an emotional roller coaster and I guess I sort of expected the nurses to address the emotional aspects of the treatment as thoroughly as they did the technical.
IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic is set up nicely and organized well into subsections based on appointment type. The waiting room is set up in such a way to give you a sense space even when crowded. They also focus on scheduling IVF patients in batches.
It was difficult to feel comforted and well connected in the infertility process. That said, I understand the need for an objective approach when assessing the best treatment method(s).
The nursing staff was good at relaying our questions to Dr. Lebovic and getting back to us in a timely matter. It was clear that they are well practiced and knowledgeable of the various protocols. However, aside from the obvious knowledge and skill of the nursing staff, I was surprised that at times our interactions with the staff felt very clinical. By this point in our journey we had been through an emotional roller coaster and I guess I sort of expected the nurses to address the emotional aspects of the treatment as thoroughly as they did the technical. That said, everyone was pleasant to interact with, but none of the nursing staff brought the emotion to our treatment that I expected from such a specialized care team. Essentially, if you are able to separate from that expectation then they were pleasant to interact with.
Our experiences with Dr. Lebovic were limited to the consultation and few appointments. He was pleasant during the interactions we had, though not overly personable. We appreciated his matter a fact and upfront approach to our frozen embryo transfer.
Come prepared to your consultation with your questions. Interactions with Dr. Lebovic were limited. Most communications after the consultation were with the nursing staff.
Describe the protocols Dan Lebovic used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
I don’t recall the exact protocol used for our frozen embryo transfer but the results were successful with a singleton. However, I do remember brand name medications being preferred if not required in some situations.
We paid for our frozen embryo transfer upfront and prior to starting any protocol.
All doctors we interacted with at the clinic had strong preferences for a single embryo transfer. We felt they did a great job to help us better understand the risks of a multiple embryo transfer and pregnancy.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
The nursing staff [at Center for Reproductive Med of MN- St. Paul] is FANTASTIC. They listen to my cry and complain but are so compassionate and understanding. They just want me to feel as comfortable as possible... They are generally very flexible with scheduling, very nice front desk staff, and are very organized. The offices are comfortable and not too clinical feeling. They can sometimes get behind on their schedule but not very often.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
While he was pretty clinical and blunt (which I preferred) the nurse practitioners were fantastic and relatable.
The nursing staff is FANTASTIC. They listen to my cry and complain but are so compassionate and understanding. They just want me to feel as comfortable as possible.
How was your experience with Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
He was very clinical, but I preferred that as we are pursuing our second child, I just wanted to see progress and results. He was very detail oriented and required all the tests in order to determine diagnosis. He also is very good at explaining procedures and reasoning.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Don’t go into it expecting lots of warm and fuzzy conversations. He is focused on the details and every little thing, even things you wouldn’t have thought would matter.
Describe the protocols Mark Damario used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
Our first round of IUI, I did a Clomid, to stimulate follicles. Then a trigger shot of Ovidrel to make sure I ovulated and progesterone vaginal suppositories following the IUI up until my pregnancy test. The suppositories were to help secure the possible pregnancy. This IUI failed. We repeated the same protocol for IUI#2. For the 3rd IUI, we switched to femara, and continued with Ovidrel and Progesterone. Saw better results with more follicles on Femara. IUI failed. We upped my dose of Femara for round 4 of IUI. This IUI is still in progress so we will know in about 2 weeks if it is successful.
St. Paul

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.

CRM is very good at what they do. The finance dept makes it easy by communicating with your insurance company and even sending applications for exceptions for coverage when denied. The ultrasound techs have the art done to a tee. They do little things like warming up the lubricant and painting the lights above your face so you are comfortable and relaxed. You never have to pay for parking. The clinic gives you a nicely framed picture of your embryo after implantation. All of these details make a big difference. The only negative experience I've had is that the patient cart I was brought into the procedure room on was outdated.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Dr. Lebovic sat down and talked with my husband and myself and explained thoroughly our situation and the research and education behind what he thought we should do next and why. He then gave us the resources and tools and allowed us to make our own decisions. He has been available via email through our entire journey as needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota. (Assigned nurse: Theresa )
Theresa seemed to be truly invested in our journey and who we are. She was genuine, informative, and showed great empathy when relaying bad news.
It is obvious that Dr. Lebovic is highly educated in reproductive medicine as well as other components of medicine. As disappointing as it was to be cancelled, we found out I had hyperprolactinemia and needed to be treated prior to transfer. If it wasnt caught i would have been at significant risk for miscarriage. He pays attention to details and although as t times i wish he'd give me his opinion and not just facts, at the end of the day my husband and I have been in complete control of our care because of it.
I would recommend going into your initial consult with prepared questions you may have come up with through your journey. This is the time Dr. Lebovic will sit with you face to face as long as you need and he is happy to explain any uncertainty you may have. After this appointment he is available but not face to face. Oh and park on the second level of the parking ramp, go in the building and take the elevator to level 4. Closer parking, easier to get out of parking spot without waiting for cars to exit, and you can stay out of the elements as well.
We started with an IUI cycle. I was put on Femara and then triggered with ovidrel a day or two before our IUI procedure. We went through 5 IUI cycles since they were relatively inexpensive and partially covered by insurance. After 5 failed cycles we began the process for egg retrieval. I was placed on menopur and gonal-f. I injected ovidrel the day before our retrieval. We froze all embryos and did PGS. I am now currently on estradiol and progesterone. Was taking aspirin stopped after positive beta.
IUI cost us 200-300 after insurance each time. Egg retrieval was $10,243. Frozen embryo transfer was $2,957. PGS was $2,170.
Dr. Lebovic prefers single embryo transfers but is open and will allow multiple embryo transfers if the patient is aware and understands the risk involved.

4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
The phones weren’t answered when I would call [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota], just long recorded messages. The staff stopped making calls by 3:30pm, turned off phones for a lunch hour, and overall it was a hastle to make contact over the phone...Over our time at the clinic we did many different treatments. The prices varied, but nothing was a surprise. We sat down with their insurance ladies before each treatment and got the cost breakdown prior to payment.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic is very clean and well organized. The rooms were comfortable and sterilized. The desk staff were very short and rude 95% of the time, they treated me as if I didn’t know anything. The lab technicians, HR staff and insurance staff were all very helpful and friendly.
Dr. Lebovic always greeted us with warmth and care. He knew our situation really well and always reached out to us about our appointments even when we didn’t need to see him.
Nurses always took the time to fully explain results and next steps. They listened to questions and worries very respectfully. However, there were multiple appointments where I had to remind the nurses of our situation. I didn’t feel like they reviewed my account before meeting.
Dr. Lebovic is very matter of fact, he knows the science and statistics of each option we talked about. He was very flexible with our treatment, always considering the numbers and progress of my cycle instead of just providing us with a blanketed generic treatment. Dr. Lebovic was great at replying to questions and emailing us with answers to any type of question we had, no matter the time of day. He worked with us for over a year and a half, and I truly feel like we had a successful pregnancy because of his attention and care.
Dr. Lebovic seems distant and scientific at first, but he just wants to make sure we understand all prospects and options before going further. He is really warm and caring during treatments and is very knowledgeable about fertility treatments, which can vary so much from cycle to cycle.
I saw dr. Lebovic for over 1.5 years starting with diagnosis and traveling through all options which eventually lead to IVF. I always felt like dr. Lebovic reviewed my actual numbers and results from each cycle, then adjusted the treatment plan based on my progress and how my body was responding. I never felt like he gave a generic treatment plan, rather, we always felt like our care was personalized.
Dr. Lebovic preferred that we only transfer a single embryo when doing FET for multiple reasons.
2015 - 2019
IUI, 3 IVF
For me strengths [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] were it's close to home and has free parking. Weakness I feel like in the time I was going it got super busy. Toward the end I felt like some of the delay in treatment was due to the fact they had so many patients. I suppose that speaks to the quality of service, but sometimes it was frustrating because of course I wanted the treatment yesterday by the time I started.
2015 - 2019
European, Black or African-American
IUI, 3 IVF
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
For me strengths were it's close to home and has free parking. Weakness I feel like in the time I was going it got super busy. Toward the end I felt like some of the delay in treatment was due to the fact they had so many patients. I suppose that speaks to the quality of service, but sometimes it was frustrating because of course I wanted the treatment yesterday by the time I started.
Straight talk about women my age going through these procedures, but also able to focus on me and my personal health. Able to make recommendations for my specific conditions and things that may help or things/crazy internet ideas that just weren't scientifically supported.
Theresa was my favorite. I remember liking the entire staff and I always worked with different nurses. Everyone was friendly and able to answer questions. They always returned my calls in a timely manner.
She is a straight talker that didn't shy away from though questions. She was able to recommend supplements that vastly improved egg quality for me and was able to steer me away from other ideas that weren't supported by science.
She's quick and efficient so have a list of questions ready. She will answer and if you don't have any ready you will feel like you are wasting time.
Describe the protocols Colleen Casey used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
I don't remember any of the details, but I know during one of the three cycles they upped my medications. On the third cycle I was able to negotiate the ultrasounds and reduce the number. This really helped the whole process to be a bit more affordable and also saved me making so many appointments so I didn't have to miss work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
About $20,000/cycle including medications. IVF + PGS + ICSI + FET
I was prepared to get a sermon. In the end I was just asked what I wanted. I never had more than 2 PGS tested embryos and each time I elected a single.

3 IUI, 6 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
We elected to go with the Attain program [with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] and so glad we did. It was well worth it.With this program, you have the opportunity to go through 3 fresh and up to 3 frozen cycles. I believe the cost was around $26,000 or so. Medication costs are in addition to. Fresh cycle medication costs typically ended up around $5,500 - $6,000. Frozen cycle cost for meds was minimal
3 IUI, 6 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths: Appointments were easy to schedule, wait times were not horrible relatively speaking. Nice to often have the same lab tech, same few ultrasound tech/nurses. Weaknesses: Navigating the medicines can be challenging for someone who is new to the process; having better information on what pharmacies offer best rates, convenience, etc. would be really nice
Dr. Lebovic was always willing to answer questions or address concerns, quickly responded to emails and was genuinely caring.
Friendly and compassionate. Most seemed very knowledgeable. Returned calls within reasonable timeframe
Dr. Lebovic showed care and compassion during some very challenging cycles. When we experienced a rare condition early on with one of our pregnancies, he helped get us the information we needed to better understand what was happening.
While he is quiet, he is very caring and willing to go the extra mile
We were on an antagonist protocol for all of our fresh IVF cycles. Standard protocol was starting with birth control day 3 of cycle (typically on for 15-18 days) and then once medications cycle began 2 vials of menopur in AM + Gonal F or Follistem in evening (300). Results varied by cycle. Our most successful cycle was when we added in ICSI after retrieval. Frozen cycle protocol was Estrace, followed by Progestrone once the lining was ready. Earlier frozen transfer used to be suppositories, but now standard protocol is Progesterone in Oil
We elected to go with the Attain program and so glad we did. It was well worth it.With this program, you have the opportunity to go through 3 fresh and up to 3 frozen cycles. I believe the cost was around $26,000 or so. Medication costs are in addition to. Fresh cycle medication costs typically ended up around $5,500 - $6,000. Frozen cycle cost for meds was minimal
Dr. Lebovic was cautious and sent good information to support his stance on single embryo transfer. In our last frozen cycle, after a few unsuccessful cycles, we did transfer 2 - and we are currently pregnant with twins.
IUI, 2 IVF
FET #1 [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]: After ectopic pregnancy, we decided to do PGS testing on our 10 frozen embryos. 7 came back normal...Most of the nurses were very friendly and warm...Weaknesses: This is more of a personal preference, but I wish you could see your own doctor for more of the procedures (egg retrievals/embryo transfers) rather than whoever is on rotation for the week. It would be nice to touch base with your doctor more often, but she did make herself available by phone when we had questions specifically for her. They also don't call with test results other than pregnancy tests.
IUI, 2 IVF
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths: Success rates, knowledgeable staff, very organized with their information. Weaknesses: This is more of a personal preference, but I wish you could see your own doctor for more of the procedures (egg retrievals/embryo transfers) rather than whoever is on rotation for the week. It would be nice to touch base with your doctor more often, but she did make herself available by phone when we had questions specifically for her. They also don't call with test results other than pregnancy tests.
We ended up completing two rounds of IVF (fresh transfers) and one FET with her, and I feel like she was genuinely happy for us when we finally had success (after our third round). She was also very sympathetic when our first two rounds were unsuccessful - one being a chemical pregnancy, and the other an ectopic pregnancy. She personally called my OB to refer me back for treatment of the ectopic. When we returned for another round, she was very patient and took time to answer our very long list of questions. This helped to alleviate some of my concerns about another negative outcome occurring.
Most of the nurses were very friendly and warm. My favorite was Theresa A.! Dori was also very nice. They always ensured that we had our prescriptions faxed over to the pharmacy on time, and called back same day for most of my questions.
Dr. Casey was very friendly during our first meeting. Based on my prior testing, treatment and overall diagnosis from my OB, she was confident that we would have success with IVF within a couple rounds. During what turned out to be three rounds of IVF, she was supportive during our low points (chemical pregnancy and ectopic pregnancy) and still very encouraging and hopeful that we would have a baby. She never made us feel rushed, but I do feel that you had to come prepared with questions, otherwise the meetings would be very short. Overall, she was very warm, knowledgeable, and motivated to help us succeed.
Do your research and come prepared with questions! She is a wealth of information, but you need to know what to ask.
IVF #1 (antagonist protocol): Gonal-F: 250 units starting Menopur: 75 units Ganirelix Lupron for trigger shot due to increased risk for OHSS Endometrin inserts before transfer (1 insert 3x/day) Ended up decreasing Gonal-F during stimulation due to overstimulation. By the end, they lowered me to 75 units (lowest dose per their standards). This resulted in 27 eggs, most appearing mature, but only 10 fertilized (not using ICSI). Ended up with one viable morula to transfer on day 5. No embryos left to freeze. Transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol): Same as above except Gonal-F was kept at 75 units the entire time. They wanted a lower/slower stim cycle in hopes of better quality embryos. 19 eggs retrieved, 18 mature, 11 viable blasts. Fresh transferred top graded embryo, and froze the remaining 10. This resulted in an ectopic pregnancy. FET #1: After ectopic pregnancy, we decided to do PGS testing on our 10 frozen embryos. 7 came back normal. Lupron: 20 units for 10 days, then 5 units for another 10 days Estrace: Started at 1x/day then ramped up to 3x/day Endometrin: 1 insert 3x/day Baby aspirin 1x/day Transferred 1 euploid frozen embryo that resulted in a healthy pregnancy and live birth.
She suggested transferring one embryo due to the quality and success rates for their clinic, but was open to us transferring 2 embryos had that been our preference.
Minneapolis

Because it [Center for Reproductive Medicine] was a large clinic that served many patients, I didn't feel like I had a completely personal connection with my provider or any particular member of the nursing team. I interacted with various nurses most of the time and only checked in with Dr. Kuneck when developing and changing my treatment plan. However, I felt that Dr. Kuneck was compassionate and informative during our interactions and the staff and nurses at the clinic were all very nice. I didn't mind the less personal system they had in place because they were always very responsive and I appreciated that the larger clinic allowed lots of flexibility so I was almost always able to get in for my appointments at a time that was most convenient to me.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Because it was a large clinic that served many patients, I didn't feel like I had a completely personal connection with my provider or any particular member of the nursing team. I interacted with various nurses most of the time and only checked in with my provider when developing and changing my treatment plan. I didn't mind the less personal system they had in place because they were always very responsive and I appreciated that the larger clinic allowed lots of flexibility so I was almost always able to get in for my appointments at a time that was most convenient to me. Most of the time I was in and out quickly. There were only a few times where I felt I had to wait an inappropriate time in the waiting room before my appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Kuneck at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Because it was a large clinic that served many patients, I didn't feel like I had a completely personal connection with my provider or any particular member of the nursing team. I interacted with various nurses most of the time and only checked in with Dr. Kuneck when developing and changing my treatment plan. However, I felt that Dr. Kuneck was compassionate and informative during our interactions and the staff and nurses at the clinic were all very nice. I didn't mind the less personal system they had in place because they were always very responsive and I appreciated that the larger clinic allowed lots of flexibility so I was almost always able to get in for my appointments at a time that was most convenient to me.
The nursing staff was very nice and compassionate. They were very responsive and available when I would call for information.
How was your experience with Paul Kuneck at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I only checked in with Dr. Kuneck when developing my initial treatment plan and when adjustments needed to be made, but I felt that Dr. Kuneck was compassionate and informative during our interactions. He was extremely knowledgeable and took the time to answer all of my questions and make me feel comfortable with the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Kuneck at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr. Kuneck is a very knowledgeable, experienced provider who will make sure you understand your treatment options, but if you are looking for a personal connection with your provider you may be happier with someone else.
Describe the protocols Paul Kuneck used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
I came in on my first letrozole cycle under the direction of my regular OB/GYN. He recommended a different dosage cycle for the next round. After two cycles with timed intercourse (TI) it was clear that I was not having the desired response to the letrozole so he recommended injectables for the next cycle. I inquired about IUI and he advised that based on my husband's test results, he didn't think doing IUI would have any additional benefit for us over TI. He was correct in this, as I got pregnant on my first cycle with injectables/TI.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paul Kuneck at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
My insurance covered assessment and monitoring, so I had no out of pocket costs for my monitoring ultrasounds. My insurance also covered a portion of my medication costs. The injectables had the most out of pocket costs for me and amounted to about $420 for one cycle. The total med costs (including what insurance paid) were over $2000.
Describe Paul Kuneck's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Not applicable
Minneapolis

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Paul Kuneck at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.

The nurses [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] were nice, compassionate, and treated me well. My only complaint is that because I saw different nurses, they weren't always up-to-date on details of my situation. I had to mention each time that a certain tool made the IUI much easier to accomplish, and it was a little annoying that they weren't reading that in my chart each time, or always taking my word for it.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Front desk staff was friendly and recognized me...or had a great system to do so. So, visiting was quick and easy and on schedule. And it felt like they knew me, and I wasn't just a number. Processing medical account info or any other details went smoothly.
Dr. Demario was pretty dry and generally straight-forward in his communications, without a lot of personality or emotion, but his staff (who I ended up seeing a lot more) were very friendly and more caring.
The nurses were nice, compassionate, and treated me well. My only complaint is that because I saw different nurses, they weren't always up-to-date on details of my situation. I had to mention each time that a certain tool made the IUI much easier to accomplish, and it was a little annoying that they weren't reading that in my chart each time, or always taking my word for it. So, they didn't usually have that tool there; some went and got it, while others tried without and then had to get it. One was successful without.
I didn't have a lot of medical history for Dr. Damario to work from, so our couple meetings were brief and informative, especially if I asked questions, but they weren't as lengthy or detailed as I expected. I did appreciate how he made a recommendation at first, but then when he got my test results back, he was very clear about changing his opinion, and why. That promoted me to take a clear course and not second-guess whether it was the right one.
Come in with questions and don't be afraid to ask him to elaborate. He's more than willing to explain things, but sometimes takes prompting, otherwise he'll wrap up a meeting quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Depends on insurance, of course, but a natural IUI cycle was about $700 (I did 4) and a fertility support cycle was about $2,000 (I did two). Fertility meds about $100 each round. Recommended ovulation tests $90 (for 2). Lab unfreezing and testing was $160 each time, worked into total round cost.
St. Paul

The clinic [Ctr for Repro Med of MN] is very clean and modern. They are very good about dealing with insurance and knowing costs (something which most doctors don’t seem to know well). They seem to do scheduling well. The clinic doesn’t seem overcrowded and the staff do not seem overworked. They have coffee, tea, and water in the waiting area. They are very considerate of their patients emotional needs....They are very kind and compassionate. None of them are in a hurry and all of them take time to answer our questions.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic is very clean and modern. They are very good about dealing with insurance and knowing costs (something which most doctors don’t seem to know well). They seem to do scheduling well. The clinic doesn’t seem overcrowded and the staff do not seem overworked. They have coffee, tea, and water in the waiting area. They are very considerate of their patients emotional needs.
Dr. Lebovic is extremely kind, compassionate and takes the time to answer our questions. He never seems to be rushing from one patient to another. The nurses in his office have also been extremely kind and compassionate.
He explains things thoroughly and makes appointments long enough to answer questions. He is very kind and easy to talk to. He has goes over all costs and options and recommended every possible infertility test before going forward because any testing was covered under our insurance. He was very clear about costs.
Do research and come up with lots of questions because he has lots of answers. :)
Our infertility is male factor. My husband was originally prescribed Clomid from his urologist (he has one kidney so sees a urologist biannually). Dr. Lebovic had us continue treatment for a couple of months, did a full blood screening and ultrasound of my uterus and ovaries, and had us see a genetic counselor. The genetic counselor was extremely knowledgeable. My husband was born with prune belly syndrome and we left knowing so much more about it and our odds (or lack of odds) of passing it on.
So far, we have only done diagnostic testing, and we have maybe paid $50 total for that, it was covered by insurance. Insurance also covers clomid, which we are using, we have a low copay for that. Any further treatment is not covered and will likely cost between $3000 and $26,000 which seems normal/average.
Minneapolis

The doctors and nurses are professional. The care and technology is well above average. I think patients should be aware, however, that their doctor isn't necessarily the one performing their procedures. ... Overall, the nurses at CRM [of Minnesota] were excellent. They were organized, compassionate, and encouraging. I would describe only one or two of them as cold.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Based on success rates on SART, this clinic is the best one in the Twin Cities. The doctors and nurses are professional. The care and technology is well above average. I think patients should be aware, however, that their doctor isn't necessarily the one performing their procedures.
Dr. Lebovic did a wonderful job reaching out to me throughout the retrieval/PGS process and when I had a chemical pregnancy with my first transfer (even when he was on vacation). The hardest meeting was our consultation after the chemical pregnancy. I know it's impossible to pinpoint why an IVF pregnancy fails, but it was hard to get a sense as to what happened, why, and why the next recommended steps could prevent it from happening. Post second transfer, the communication has again been great.
Overall, the nurses at CRM were excellent. They were organized, compassionate, and encouraging. I would describe only one or two of them as cold.
Overall, I am very pleased with my experience with Dr. Lebovic. He was warm, honest, and upfront about our procedures and chances for success. After we had our chemical pregnancy with our first transfer, he made adjustments to our protocol which I tend to think are the reason why I'm pregnant today.
I think my advice to any IVF patient is to not hesitate to ask questions and to be your best advocate. There were times I had questions after meeting with Dr. Lebovic that weren't covered during our office visit, and he always got back to me right away via email.
For the retrieval, I used Menopur, Gonal-F, Cetrotide, and the trigger shot. For my first frozen transfer, I was on birth control, Estrace and Endometrin. This transfer ended in a chemical pregnancy. For my second frozen transfer, I was on birth control, Estrace, and progesterone-in-oil injections ("PIO"). This cycle ended in a current active pregnancy. Whether it's legitimate or not, I am convinced that I'm still pregnant because of PIO. I wish it had been offered as an option for my first cycle--and not just because I think it's a better source of progesterone. I prefer a once daily injection to three insertions of Endometrin. I also found the Endometrin to be irritating and the discharge was frankly gross. Finally, PIO is also cheaper. If my husband and I decide to transfer another embryo in the future, I will definitely be asking for PIO.
Because we did PGS, Dr. Lebovic strongly encouraged eSET. Because we only wanted a single pregnancy, we did not object or seek to circumvent this recommendation.

1 IVF, Donor Eggs
They [nurses] never knew information on my wife upfront and would routinely make sloppy mistakes by giving her standard guidance. ... After the mock cycle she was found to be post receptive but they [nurses] almost messed up our last cycle had my wife not pressed and questioned the professional nurses [CRM - Minnesota] and questioned what they were saying to do. It is shocking.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Everything can be different for different people so if you do go here, also go to Colorado clinic in Edina. You have to talk to more than one place. We were naive and thought we went to the best. You have to talk to different doctors and different places. I would recommend they ask what happens when it doesn't work. Did the process change. Is it tailored to the patient or do they follow a method they like. Why? Because it works best? That may be fine but it is good to know that it isn't guaranteed. I thought you could assure yourself a baby with one of these processes.
Even though we went through many cycles with them, the staff regularly didn't know what we had done before. We even did a mock trial and the results were post receptive and while doing our last donor cycle after the mock, they were still giving us bad information by not recognizing the treatment should change. My wife even questioned it, they said no this is fine and then realized their huge mistake and changed the medicine. This type of behavior was present during our time here. Not that example but they would often give us the same old methods, treatment, and information time after time. It is difficult because you are in a vulnerable situation and dependant on their expert advice.
They never knew information on my wife upfront and would routinely make sloppy mistakes by giving her standard guidance. They must have one track protocol and it is hard for them to know if that changes. They didn't seem to know if we were doing ours or fresh or frozen or donor.
The course of treatment was cookie cutter and didn't change. It seemed to be the same for everyone everytime. She was a nice doctor though but the care wasn't tailored to my wife and only changed after we pressed for alternatives and went through a mock cycle. This place seems more like a farm running everyone through one protocol.
Do not use this doctor and clinic if you are having a lot of difficulty getting pregnant.
It was the same each time. The pill for a time, then lupron shots, estrace, progesterone.
25k for egg cycles and 5k due each frozen transfer
The first fresh donor transfer after a failed fresh homegrown transfer was where we had a surprise. We had told them over and over we were going to do 2 embryos. We had tried on our own for so long we wanted to do whatever it took to get one or two babies. Minutes before the transfer of the fresh donor eggs, the doctor said it was so good that we should just do one. My wife had to make her decision they're on the spot and was gently pressured to just do one. It was our choice but the were insistant that it was so good and this was very likely to work. It was a unesseccary to do two because we would end up with two babies and the complication of that.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
[The Center for Reproductive Med of MN-Minneapolis is] Very warm environment with calming colors and decor in the waiting room and patient rooms. Warm and welcoming staff, including the people at the front desk. Lab techs and ultrasound techs are also very nice and knowledgeable. Busy with patient activity and tests being done.... Every person we encountered was very nice, greeting with a smile. We always felt welcomed wherever we entered.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I understand their clinic is very busy with patients, and that nurses may be the ones calling us back with answers to our questions. We had our consult and other questions I have had have been answered by a message, the nurses checking with C.C. and then calling me back.
I just wish we could hear back from her directly, so further questions could be answered in a phone call rather than waiting for a nurse to talk to her and then call back, or waiting for the next conference. She has been nice, warm and welcoming and made us feel like it was their priority to get us pregnant. She was honest in answering the questions I had for her during our consult as well, which I appreciate completely.
Be prepared to ask questions at your consult, and possibly not hear much from her until the conference scheduled or a procedure.
We are just starting out, and my husband has male factor infertility so she explained possible treatment options depending on what the urologist comes up with...but most likely IVF will be our best bet. We also talked about possible further treatments if other things were found.
So far, what I know of what we will have to pay is the tests we have had done. IVF is very much in our future and I'm needing information on that yet, but we were waiting to see what the urologist says and we have a conference with C.C. at the end of October.
Minneapolis

The strengths [of Center for Reproductive Medicine of MN- Minneapolis] are the doctors and nurses seem to really love what they do ❤️ It’s a positive vibe when you walk in and I live that. They could have more administrative staff helping with scheduling, paperwork, insurance questions as I felt like that was a bit rushed and a little chaotic. Also when calling they seemed rushed like they were experiencing too many calls and needed more staff.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The strengths are the doctors and nurses seem to really love what they do ❤️ It’s a positive vibe when you walk in and I live that. They could have more administrative staff helping with scheduling, paperwork, insurance questions as I felt like that was a bit rushed and a little chaotic. Also when calling they seemed rushed like they were experiencing too many calls and needed more staff.
She listened to me and asked me my thoughts on treatment routes and really cared about me as a person.
The nursing staff was great and explained things so well. They answered any questions and seemed very confident in what they were doing and made you feel absolutely comfortable when I was very anxious and high stress. The reassurance I felt was fabulous!
I think she was really great listening and showing compassion. She takes your thoughts and opinions and really cares. I felt like we were a team with the same goal and that made me feel positive. I feel good after I speak to her and she gives me hope. I wish she would have been more active with the actual procedure (IUI) or explained who would do what as that was a little confusing. I feel like she cares about you as a person not just a patient looking to make money off of you.
Ask tons of questions and do research prior to your appointment so you know what to ask and definitely don’t feel shy asking about prices of different treatment routes.
We did Letrozole so I would produce more eggs and we did a trigger shot so we would know exactly when to do IUI and have it timed out great to give me the best chance. In having unexplained secondary infertility for more then 3 years now timing is so very crucial for me to get things right.
The IUI was about 1,200 and the Letrozole was 10$ covered by my insurance. The trigger shot was 260$ and was not covered by insurance and was a big hassle to get delivered as it came from a special pharmacy.
Minneapolis

The billing office [Ctr for Repro Med of MN] wouldn't give us an outright refund for services we paid for OOP after we learned that some of the procedures were covered by our insurance....To change doctors at this clinic, you literally have to discuss the change with the CEO. The CEO told me that she was really surprised at my requested change and made me feel like I had done something wrong... nurses couldn't answer a simple question like "on average, what % of sperm don't make it through the freeze-thaw cycle."
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Clinic was located convenient to my home, which is why I initially chose them. Their appointments are generally on time. The billing office wouldn't give us an outright refund for services we paid for OOP after we learned that some of the procedures were covered by our insurance. Instead, they issued a credit and many months later, I still have never received an account balance. To change doctors at this clinic, you literally have to discuss the change with the CEO. The CEO told me that she was really surprised at my requested change and made me feel like I had done something wrong in requesting a change of doctor rather than truly trying to understand how the clinic might improve. It was disappointing.
Dr. Damario tried the "usual" protocols with us for our 3 IUIs. We used a frozen sperm sample for one IUI and had a nurse tell me that the sperm count was fairly low, minutes before the IUI rather than actually calling on the day the sample was given. This is one example of several times when the clinic didn't seem to have any sense of urgency or be very proactive about helping my husband and I navigate infertility. It was highly disappointing.
Sue was great; most of the other nurses at the St Paul location were not great at communicating. Many couldn't explain the rationale behind changes in protocol; also, nurses couldn't answer a simple question like "on average, what % of sperm don't make it through the freeze-thaw cycle."
Dr. Damario started us with the "typical" IUI protocol given our diagnosis of unexplained infertility. After 2 failed IUIs, I requested additional testing, which he relented to. These tests gave us some clues regarding our challenges but Dr. Damario was not great at explaining the significance of our results. We wound up googling for information. We also then found out that there are a number of lifestyle issues that can impact sperm quality, which Dr. Damario never once mentioned. The lack of information was highly disappointing and left us feeling like we had spent thousands of dollars without learning very much. I would not recommend his practice for anyone who wants a proactive, communicative physician.
You have to be your own advocate and invest in a lot of research on your own. He will not push you or advocate for aggressive treatment.
1st IUI: 50 mg Clomid on CD 5-9 with ovidrel trigger; 2nd IUI: 100 mg Letrozole CD 4-8 - ovulated early and cancelled cycle; 3rd IUI: 100 mg Letrozole with frozen sperm sample with very low count and ovidrel trigger; 4th IUI: 100 mg Letrozole with fresh sperm sample with normal count with ovidrel trigger; all cycles were BFN.
St. Paul

Easy parking [at Center for Reproductive Med-Minneapolis], front desk staff are nice (but don't remember to tell you if you should empty your bladder, have it full, etc.) Sometimes staff seems a little too professional/it would be nice to get a smile or two in this tough world.... It would be nice to see the same one. They have all been nice. But with each appointment and each IUI I have had someone different. The only staff that has stayed the same is for blood draw and ultrasound tech. The nurses have sometimes seemed confused as to what medications are being used for the current cycle.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Easy parking, front desk staff are nice (but don't remember to tell you if you should empty your bladder, have it full, etc.) Sometimes staff seems a little too professional/it would be nice to get a smile or two in this tough world.
Because of her schedule we were not able to do a consultation with her after the 3 failed IUIs which resulted in taking a break from treatment until after we could meet with her. Other than before starting treatment and meeting with her after the 3 we had no direct communication from her.
She seems very nice but I'm not fully convinced that we have explored all of the testing options. I would like to see her dive into our case more rather than just label us as "unexplained." Being that we have only met with her twice I would love communication even via email all the way. To know more of our numbers/stats/and potential to mix up treatment a bit.
Stick up for yourself. Ask her all the potential treatment options and fight to have them done even if she's not certain about them.
We started with follustrom treatments for the first 3 IUIs. After all three came back failed we met with her (after waiting 2 months to get in to meet with her) and she kind of asked what we wanted to do next. Our insurance covers some of the IUIs and I told her I wanted to try something else because what we were doing wasn't working. For this upcoming cycle I'll be starting on menipur instead.

3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
The nursing staff at CRM Minneapolis are wonderful. I haven't had a bad interaction with any of them. They are very good at what they do, and show a lot of care toward their patients.... CRM Minneapolis is a large clinic and they have the capacity to treat a lot of patients. The clinic is run very smoothly, and they seem to provide very good care. From what I understand they also have a great embryology lab, which is important. The only minor downside is that you can sometimes feel like a number - doctors don't have a lot of time as they are spread out. I don't think this leads to worse care - just something to keep in mind.
3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
CRM Minneapolis is a large clinic. My sense is they provide high quality fertility/infertility care. Because there are so many patients it's natural that doctor's and staff have limited time with patients.
Dr. Lebovic is clearly a highly trained doctor, knows the science, and cares about his patients and the outcomes everyone is trying to achieve. There have been a few times where I felt Dr. Lebovic wasn't up to speed on communications I had had with nursing staff or certain things that had been changed/ordered - it felt as if he hadn't read my files before talking to me and was proceeding with certain things before confirming with me. I think he just needs to take a little more time with patients. It can be a bit unnerving when you have to remind your doctor about certain things.
Be very clear about what you want and don't be afraid to speak up/advocate for yourself.
Antagonist retrieval protocol: estradiol, Menopur, GonalF, Cetrotide, Ovidrel (trigger shot)
~$25,000 for one retrieval cycle and one transfer
Dr. Lebovic leans toward eSET but is open to transferring 2 embryos depending on a patient's situation.

PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Some of the nurses [at Center for Reproductive Med-MN]were amazing- very kind and compassionate and understanding of how challenging and painful the situation could be. Some nurses were not as kind, or had personality types that weren't as understanding, and eould leave me feeling worse about things.... The clinic is in a good location in downtown Minneapolis and parking is free. Most of the people (scheduling, secretaries, lab staff, nursing staff) are very nice. The person in the billing office is very rude.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I didn't actually see Dr. Kuneck often during the time I was his patient which made me feel like just another patient or statistic. But when I did see him he made me feel less like a statistic so it averaged out.
Some of the nurses were amazing- very kind and compassionate and understanding of how challenging and painful the situation could be. Some nurses were not as kind, or had personality types that weren't as understanding, and eould leave me feeling worse about things.
He is very direct and information focused. There isn't a lot of "touchy-feely" stuff with him, just facts. This was helpful for us because we didn't want to feel like we were being coddled, we wanted to know the facts of our situation even if the facts were difficult to hear.
He is great at what he does but don't expect a lot of emotion.
I did 5 cycles of Femara with trigger shots. The first cycle required 5 mg femara on cycle days 5-9 and 20-24 then a trigger on day 29 of novarel; this was unsuccessful. The second cycle was 7.5 mg of femara on cycle day 3-7 then a trigger shot with novarel on day 16; this was unsuccessful. Cycle 3 was 7.5 mg of femara on cycle day 3-9 and ovidrel trigger on day 14; this was unsuccessful. Cycle 4 was 7.5 mg of femara on cycle day 3-9 and ovidrel trigger on day 13; this was unsuccessful. Cycle 5 was 7.5 mg of femara on cycle day 3-10 the ovidrel trigger on day 12; this was also unsuccessful. I also used progesterone suppositories during all these cycles between the expected ovulation date svc the date of a negative pregnancy test. We then moved on to our first IVF cycle with menopur and gonal-f on cycle day 2-9, added Ganirelix on day 8-9, triggered with hcg on day 9, egg retrieval on day 11, and day 3 embryo transfer on day 14. I had 3 eggs at the time of retrieval which I was told was unexpected (I'd had 12+ mature follicles at the ultrasound immediately prior to retrieval. Two of the eggs fertilized and were transferred. I then used minivelle patches and endometrin inserts. This IVF cycle was successful and I am currently 11 weeks pregnant.
Oral medications with triggers were around $150 per cycle. IVF medications were $2000. Ultrasounds were around $50 after my insurance (needed 3-7 per cycle). We chose to use the Attain program for our IVF cycles which was $20,000 (in the end we only needed one cycle so this wouldn't have been necessary).
They transferred 2 embryos because that was all we had. Had there been more we would have been able to decide whether we wanted to transfer one or two.
Minneapolis

We pre-paid $1200 for cryopreservation of embryos. More than 6 wks after all of our embryos stopped developing and it was confirmed we did not have any left for cryopreservation, we had still not received a refund for this or heard from the clinic [Ctr for Repro Med of MN] about a refund.... Sue was great- explained everything in great detail, kept me informed about my lab work and my progress
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths: - front desk staff friendly and personable - a few nurses were friendly and personable - most of lab staff was nice and efficient (aside from one lab person) Weaknesses: - a few bad nurses that make you feel like a number - care team didn’t seem to take time to understand our situation - we were not given any possible explanation for the underdevelopment of all of our embryos - our miscarriage was diagnosed immediately, and with 100% certainty before taking additional bloodwork or ultrasound to confirm— this seemed very insensitive, considering our entire process.
I met with Dr. Damario for an initial consultation and then once more two weeks prior to Stimulation start for a baseline ultrasound and trial transfer. During the entire course of IVF treatment, egg retrieval, and transfer I did not see or hear from Dr. Damario at all. His nurses were always the ones in contact with me about my progress and with orders for stimulation dosage changes. Dr. Damario would not have been to recognize me in the waiting room or recall my name at any point, even once completed with treatment.
Sue was great- explained everything in great detail, kept me informed about my lab work and my progress, described ultrasounds while doing them, remembered my name and things about me. Julie- great, very kind and personable; remembered my name and things about me. There were other nurses that didn’t even introduce themselves or attempt to build any rapport during the appt at all, were very blunt and jumped to worst case scenario. I don’t know their names because they never said their name.
He did not seem to be aware of what was happening with my care. He couldn’t recognize me and didn’t know my name. He always had his nurse contact me, except once— Dr. Damario called me after my first BHCG to tell me I was pregnant and had “an honest to goodness good pregnancy level.” But two days later, when my BHCG dropped, Dr. Damario had one of the nurses contact me to tell me I was going to miscarry. Dr. Damario miscounted my follicles during my baseline ultrasound. During my ultrasound after miscarriage diagnosis, Dr. Damario looked around for about 3 minutes before confirming miscarriage will be happening and giving me my options to proceed with the miscarriage. He diagnosed me with a “blighted ovum” at 6.5wks, which I have read should never be diagnosed before wk 9. I also had a visible yolk sac, which I also understand does not meet the definition for blighted ovum. Here I am at 9.6wks and still have not miscarried (will likely still miscarry), but have chosen to follow up with further ultrasounds at a different clinic with a new provider.
Do your research about your own situation and possible IVF protocols before meeting with Dr. Damario so you are prepared to ask specific questions & get the answers you need.
- Birthcontrol for downregulation 6 weeks prior to treatment start - Lupron 20IU for further downregulation for 10 days - Lupron decreased to 5IU from day 3-5 of stimulation, then stopped -Stimulation Start: Menopur 150IU morning & Follistim 150IU for 14 days (Follistim bumped up to 300IU after day 3 d/t slow ovarian response/possible over sensitivity to Lupron) - Trigger Shot: 10,000IU Novarel (HCG) injection 36 hours before transfer * my body was downregulated significantly prior to treatment start, which required doubling the dose of the follistim and added an extra 2-4 days of stimulation before trigger shot. I also had two lead follicles and was told of a potential risk for cycle cancelation * I had 16 follicles, but only 14 eggs retrieved. 8 eggs were mature and all 8 fertilized with ICSI. No embryos made to blastocyst stage. * we transferred a morula and 8-cell embryo on day 5. All other embryos stopped developing by day 6 and we did not have any leftover to freeze.
IVF retrieval/transfer/ICSI- $11,800 Medication- $7000 Monitoring/bloodwork: $2800 Prescreening: $800
Describe Mark Damario's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Dr. Colleen Casey did the embryo transfer. She recommended transferring only 1 embryo because the next most developed one was only 8 cells. She told us transferring two could be harmful to the morula which was further developed. We told her we wanted to transfer two anyway and asked for more information on how it could be harmful and she then said that it probably wouldn’t be harmful, but it just wouldn’t be likely to implant. We transferred two and all remaining embryos arrested the next day.

PCOS, Unexplained
Everything [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] is located in one location. Parking is free. Once you are an extavlished patient, appointments are generally easy to get. They do a benefits check for you. There are free educational sessions on the IVF process that are open to the public. The nurse line always goes to voicemail, but they always call back.... Basic IVF procedures are roughly $9000, with additional costs for freezing, genetic testing​, etc. Monitoring appointments are charged separately. Shared risk plans are offered.
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Everything is located in one location. Parking is free. Once you are an extavlished patient, appointments are generally easy to get. They do a benefits check for you. There are free educational sessions on the IVF process that are open to the public. The nurse line always goes to voicemail, but they always call back.
Dr. Kuneck's office is a business-like setting. He verbally reviewed my medical history but did not review, at least not in front of me, the several page packet I filled out about my medical and family history. With the exception of one time, he got back to me promptly an encouraged me to call with other questions.
All the the nurses were very knowledgeable. Most nurses were very warm, though I was only asked how I was feeling during a small percentage of my appointments. They are very focused on the medical treatments. They had good tips for obtaining medications and it was clear they hoped we would achieve pregnancy.
Dr. Kuneck is clearly is an expert in his field. He sees a large volume of patients which has at times made me feel like a number, but also provides him with a lot of experience. I am a person that likes to know the "why's" of he treaments and know the impacts of my body beyond attempting pregnancy. I felt that I had to advocate for myself to get through answers to these questions, at times.
Write down and ask any questions you may have.
I utilized letrozole and ovidrel for 2 IUI cycles. I did ovulate, but pregnancy was not achieved. I will be attempting IVF with a low dose protocol.
Dr. Kuneck seemed to favor single embryo transfer due to my age and predicted success. We were in agreement on this. He also provided education verbally and in written form regarding risks of multiples.
Minneapolis

I think this clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine of MN] is geared towards IVF patients, and, as someone undergoing IUI cycles, I felt a bit of a second-class citizen. The clinic set up did not enable me to feel that I was receiving personalized care.... Each nurse I interacted with seemed competent and friendly, but over the course of nine visits, I believe I met with eight different nurses. The lack of continuity was a huge problem for me, and made me feel a bit like part of an assembly line. I felt that because the nurses didn't know me and my medical situation personally their clinical judgments were based on their experiences overall, and were not tailored to my situation.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I think this clinic is geared towards IVF patients, and, as someone undergoing IUI cycles, I felt a bit of a second-class citizen. The clinic set up did not enable me to feel that I was receiving personalized care. I do however think that the treatment provided is high quality and the facilities are fantastic.
Dr. Hopeman is very caring and treats me like a person, but I generally only see nurses when I go in for monitoring and IUIs. Over nine visits I saw seven or eight different nurses. The lack of continuity in nursing care made me feel like a number in many of my daily interactions at the clinic.
My experiences with Dr. Hopeman have been largely positive. As a scientist myself, I appreciate receiving highly detailed information on my labwork, diagnosis, treatment, etc. Dr. Hopeman has been willing to provide these detailed explanations in a compassionate way. She has been available to speak by phone or meet in person as needed. In the course of a regular IUI cycle, however, I do not see her. I do, however, feel that Dr. Hopeman pushes IVF somewhat.
Be very clear with her about what your boundaries are in terms of types of treatments you are willing to consider, and tell her what level of detail you would like in terms of scientific information about diagnosis, testing, and treatment.
My first two cycles with Dr. Hopeman I had baseline ultrasound monitoring on cycle day 3, took letrozole (10mg) from cycle day 3 - 7, went in on cycle day 11 for a monitoring ultrasound, triggered that night (ovidrel) for IUI the morning of cycle day 13. I used progesterone suppositories during the luteal phase. My next cycle I will have estradiol measured on day 3, try clomid instead of letrozole, wait until cycle 12 for monitoring, and double the dose of ovidrel for triggering. The morning of the IUI and the following morning I will have progesterone measured to check the timing of ovulation, and I will again take progesterone suppositories during the luteal phase.
An IUI cycle cost approximately $1,500 (including drugs), without insurance coverage.
No comments.
Minneapolis

The clinic [Center for Reproductive Med of Minnesota] overall is great. The only thing I don't like is the nurseline. You are unable to get a nurse on the phone and have to leave a message and have them call you back. When they call you back (usually hours later or even the next day depending on when you call) and if you miss the call, you have to call in again and leave a message all over again and wait again for a call back many hours later. This phone tag format is stressful for IVF and infertility.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic overall is great. The only thing I don't like is the nurseline. You are unable to get a nurse on the phone and have to leave a message and have them call you back. When they call you back (usually hours later or even the next day depending on when you call) and if you miss the call, you have to call in again and leave a message all over again and wait again for a call back many hours later. This phone tag format is stressful for IVF and infertility. Otherwise the clinic is great. The scheduling staff is good, you can always get someone (besides nurses) on the phone. The financial coordinator Stephanie is very helpful and will go out of her way to help you troubleshoot any issues. The nurses are great. The office is clean and generally you don't have to wait too long in the waiting room.
You can tell Dr. Lebovic is busy because his responses are generally short in emails but he is very responsive. He always responds to my messages within about 15 minutes of me sending which is impressive. When I got OHSS he checked in with me daily for weeks and always asked how I was doing. He is calm and doesn't make you feel rushed when you are asking questions about treatment.
CRM uses a team of multiple nurses so you do not have one specifically assigned. All have been very helpful, knowledgeable, and kind.
He is very responsive to email and always answers questions right away and directly. He is quiet and patient and seems to really care.During consults you don't feel rushed and he makes sure that you have time to ask all the questions you have. When I had complications with my retrieval after hyper stimulating he checked in with me daily asking how I was doing and was always available to talk to me or the hospital. I've been really happy working with him. The only thing I would mention that has been mildly frustrating is that he has a somewhat conflicting viewpoint on our diagnosis as my 2 of my other OBs. We are diagnosed as Unexplained Infertility but Dr. Lebovic seems to think I might also have very mild PCOS despite the fact that I do not meet the diagnosis requirements for PCOS. I personally don't think I have PCOS and neither do 2 different doctors I've seen. This hasn't gotten in the way of my treatment to my knowledge because the protocol would remain the same but it has been frustrating at times being my own advocate making sure we are on the right path.
If you are looking for a cheerleader, moral support type doctor he is probably not a good fit for your needs. But if you want someone who gets to the point, is very responsive, and clearly cares about you and your well being he will be a great fit.
For all 6 IUIs: - Protocol remained the same because I was appropriately responsive - 2.5 mg letrozole days 3-7 and HCG trigger. Resulted in 2 mature follicles each time. For IVF: resulted in 33 eggs retreived and 7 blastocycts - Birth control as a down regulation - Stimulation was 75 IU Menopur and 150 Gonal - F (Gonal - F dosage went down to 75 after first ultrasound because I was very responsive) - Ganirelix once follicles were getting mature - Trigger was dual Lupron and HCG to prevent OHSS - Was also given cabergoline to help prevent OHSS * I only did 8 days of stims before triggering because I was so responsive and I still got OHSS Frozen Embryo Transfer: Still in progress - birth control for down regulation - Estrace pills and baby aspirin - Progesterone suppositories
$10,000 single cycle IVF without PGS not including medication or monitoring which is billed separately. Without insurance each ultrasound for monitoring is around $500.
Dr. Lebovic feels we should do 1 embryo at a time based on our age and the fact this is our first IVF cycle. We agree with his advice.

1 IVF, Donor Eggs
The nurses, ultrasound techs, and lab techs [Center for Reproductive Med] have been great! Very compassionate and willing to answer questions. Some at the front desk are friendlier than others. No one was rude or unhelpful - just some were less personable.... I feel that overall, the clinic is very busy, so it can be difficult to get a preferred appointment time, and the process seems to take a while just to be fit in to start each process.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The nurses, ultrasound techs, and lab techs are great. They are very sensitive, caring, and compassionate. I feel that overall, the clinic is very busy, so it can be difficult to get a preferred appointment time, and the process seems to take a while just to be fit in to start each process.
When I actually met with Dr. Casey, she was very personable. She was encouraging, although I wish she would have been more blunt and provided more realistic expectations. At times, I feel like she is encouraging so I will continue to spend money, even though it's probaby not likely to work. Also, from what I have learned, my treatment plan is the same as every one else - so not very personable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota. (Assigned nurse: DeNae M)
The nurses, ultrasound techs, and lab techs have been great! Very compassionate and willing to answer questions. Some at the front desk are friendlier than others. No one was rude or unhelpful - just some were less personable.
I chose Dr. Casey because she was relateable - having children close to my age, being female. When I first met with Dr. Casey she was very encouraging and explained everything very well. However, I wish she would have encouraged donar eggs sooner, as my AMH level was very low.
Consider all of your options (donar eggs, adoption, etc.) in the beginning because the process rarely works the first time and can be very lengthy. Also, the treatment is mentally and financially exhausting. I don't think the mental side effects were fully explained to me.
With my own eggs, I was on bc to get my cycle in line with theirs. Then I was on Lupron for 10 days, then started Menopur in the a.m. and Follistem in the evening. During this time I had ultrasounds and bloodwork every other day. Took HCG prior to retrieval. Then, started endometrin twice a day and did day 5 transfer with fresh embryo. After transfer, started Vivelle patches and continue Endometrin. Unsuccessful. Switched to donar eggs with fresh transfer. Birth control to coordinate my cycle with donor. Lupron for 10 days. Then reduce Lupron (but continue) and start Estrace 3 times/day. After a couple of weeks, start Endometrin 3 times/day and Doxyclycline 2 times/day. Transferred only 1 embryo (per doctors very strong recommendation). Resulted in pregnancy, and then miscarriage after 4 weeks. Currently doing frozen embryo transfer with donor eggs. Started birth control to coordinate with clinic schedule. Lupron 20 U for 10 days. Drop to 5 U Lupron for 10 days and start Estrace (with Lupron) for approximately 21 days. Will also do Endometrin approximately 5 days prior to transfer and after.
It was approximately $21,000 for IVF cycle with my own eggs, approximately $25,000 for cycle with donor eggs, and approximately $5,000 for frozen transfer. Medication was an additional $1,000-$4,000 per cycle.
In talking with nurse and doctor Casey, I was encouraged to transfer 2 for higher success rate, understanding risk of multiples. Day of transfer, Dr. Kuneck was only willing to transfer 1 embryo because of high quality embryo. It was not successful, so I wish I would have done 2. Now doing FET with plan to transfer 2 embryos.
Minneapolis

You are not assigned an individual nurse here and this is a large clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine]. This means that every time you go in you are dealing with a new person. When things come up there is no easy access point. You can call the nurse line but you will consistently be directed to the voicemail system and can expect to wait all day for a call back. When you do get a call you should be prepared for the nurse to be entirely unfamiliar with your case and to have 'skimmed' your voicemail at best.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This clinic is a factory. There are quite a few doctors, a lot of nurses, and many, many patients. This means that it is very unlikely that you will see your identified provider after the initial consult or that you will notice many familiar faces at your appointments. On egg retrieval and transfer days you could have any provider in the practice assigned to you and, be warned, they do not all have superb bedside manner. This results in unecessary stress on very important days. This is also a clinic that schedules cycles quite far out (2+months after consult) and seems to run patients in 'batches' meaning that they may have you on birth control for months to sync up your cycle with their schedule.
Dr. Lebovic does his best to be a clear communicator and to be responsive. The problem is just that there is no sense of warmth. He is neutral in every way one can imagine. Flat affect, flat intonation, provides limited opinions and observations, etc. We could tell he was trying but it was just all very cold.
You are not assigned an individual nurse here and this is a large clinic. This means that every time you go in you are dealing with a new person. When things come up there is no easy access point. You can call the nurse line but you will consistently be directed to the voicemail system and can expect to wait all day for a call back. When you do get a call you should be prepared for the nurse to be entirely unfamiliar with your case and to have 'skimmed' your voicemail at best. I had mutliple experiences where the nurses called back and provided inaccurate information about my case which instills very little confidence. When I lost a pregnancy it was very difficult to reach anyone for help about what to do and when I finally did the contact was neutral at best.
Dr. Lebovic is obviously intelligent and takes a very evidence-based approach to treatment. He is a fine choice for standardized care if you are a straightforward case. If not, however, you may find yourself frustrated as there is limited openness to tweaking protocols, adding supplements, etc. Dr. Lebovic tries to connect and is very responsive (called/emailed immediately with test results and to answer questions) but his bedside manner is lacking in warmth. I'm not typically one that needs a lot of warmth, in fact I am sometimes irritated by it! But his was just such an anxious, cold presentation that it made me uncomfortable and added to the stress of it all. Infertility treatment is stressful enough, do yourself a favor and only choose to work with a provider that you feel good about!
Give him a shot, perhaps your personalities will jive better than mine did with him. Be prepared to ask a lot of direct questions and receive very brief answers. Don't hesitate to reach out to him for guidance as needed as he is happy to help.
Birth control leading into things. Antagonist protocol (ganirelix) + 300IU Follistim + 150IU Menopur. Ovidrel trigger. The rationale for using this protocol was never explained to me.
The actual cycle was about $14,000. Meds were probably another $3000.
Prefers eSET but open to multiple embryo transfer when appropriate.

Other, Unexplained
The nursing staff [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of MN] has been incredibly responsive to my questions and concerns. I had some initial insurance issues and they were very supportive along the way and helped me make sure that I got all of my medications on time.... I do not see my doctor on every visit and I understand for some people that would be a problem. I do know that my doctor is very actively involved though and reviews my case each time I get bloodwork or have an ultrasound done. I think the clinic runs efficiently.
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This clinic has many strengths. I have found the nursing team and doctors to be incredibly supportive and informative. I do not see my doctor on every visit and I understand for some people that would be a problem. I do know that my doctor is very actively involved though and reviews my case each time I get bloodwork or have an ultrasound done. I think the clinic runs efficiently.
Dr. Kuneck is very direct but kind in his manner. He's incredibly knowledgeable and always makes me feel welcome.
The nursing staff has been incredibly responsive to my questions and concerns. I had some initial insurance issues and they were very supportive along the way and helped me make sure that I got all of my medications on time.
Dr. Kuneck is very direct and upfront with his recommendations. He did a lovely job of balancing giving his opinion with also giving space for my husband and I to make decisions. I am still in the course of my first IVF treatment, but I really appreciate his honesty and optimism. Dr. Kuneck also was quite comfortable with moving straight to IVF rather than spending time on IUIs that would only marginally increase my chances of success.
I would say be open to any option. Dr. Kuneck wants you to achieve success but will also defer to your decisions.
This is my first IVF cycle, so we decided to go with the typical course knowing that it might take a cycle or two to figure out how my body responds. I am still in my cycle. I did 22 days of bcp, on day 19 on bcp I started Lupron. Then I began menopur and gonal f on day 11 of lupron. On day 3 of STIMS I went in for bloodwork and then had my dosages adjusted. My next step is an ultrasound and blood work on day 5 of STIMS.
I have a strong insurance package but this requires reimbursement. Medications cost $2000 so far (after insurance reimbursement) and I needed to pay up-front $10000 for the IVF cycle.
No comments
Minneapolis

The nursing staff handles most, if not all, the communication between patient and doctor. It is nice to be able to talk with the nurse after each appointment to discuss current plan and any changes that may need to be made by the doctor. One weakness about the nursing staff at CRM, is that they often times don't call back the same day to answer important questions or respond to time sensitive information (i.e. got my period - when should I start birth control pills, etc.).
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They take confidentiality seriously - but that also gives off a cold and secluded vibe. This could also be due to the nature that is infertility - a silent battle for each couple. The scheduling/office staff is always friendly and returns phone calls promptly.
I didn't get to see Dr. Casey much throughout our fresh cycle. All of the ultrasounds scans, med modifications, and communication is done through the nursing staff. In addition, Dr. Casey was not the physician who performed the egg retrieval or the transfer of our embryos. That was disappointing.
Dr. Casey is very knowledgeable and passionate about helping couples become parents. When our fresh transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy, she personally called me to discuss the results, what potentially happened, and what our next steps forward would look like. She was positive and reassuring that we would some day be parents.
Ask ALOT of questions and be sure you really understand the plan - the only dumb question is the one not asked!!
We had an antagonist protocol for our first egg retrieval cycle. I was on the lowest dose of stimulation meds. My meds included: 75 units of Menopur & 150 iu of Follistim. I stimulated extremely quickly and already had 5 mature eggs at my first ultrasound (stim day 5). I hadn't started the antagonist (Ganirelix) until immediately after that first ultrasound. However, I was a little worried that I stimulated so quickly - would they be good quality eggs? would my lining be ready to accept a transfer? ... At my ultrasound the next day, I had 8 mature eggs so they decided to have me trigger that night. I triggered with 10,000iu of HCG. I was also a little concerned that there wasn't any lining checks or measurements throughout the process of this fresh cycle. Overall, the process was pretty seamless. I was lucky and didn't have many side effects or discomfort during stimulation or after retrieval.
Baseline Ultrasound ($263 ea.) - 1 Follow-Up Ultrasounds ($216 ea.) - 2 Office Visits ($89 ea.) - ? Labs ($181 ea.) - 3 Egg Retrieval - $3791 Embryo Transfer - $1669 Embryo Culture - $1810 Identification - $680 Anesthesia - $374 ICSI - $1200 Cryopreservation of Embryos - $1200 Ultrasounds (retrieval and transfer) - $635 Lab prep for transfer - $450 Medications - $2850.84
The doctor who did our transfer didn't put up much of a fight or invite any sort of discussion around the topic. We only had 1 blastocyst at day 5 (transfer day) and a less mature morula (day 4 cell). He also said that we likely wouldn't have any that made it to freeze. So... we decided to transfer 2 because that increased our chance of getting at least one by 10%. He didn't give us any explanation about why he only recommended an eSET and just said, "it's up to you". This was disappointing - especially now on the other side of transfer still not pregnant. In addition, I have done an incredible (spent HOURS on google) amount of researching on the best route and why - something that should be presented as pro's and con's at time of transfer.
Minneapolis

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Strength [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] - allowing you to do monitoring in St Paul or Minneapolis. Weaknesses - (1) not always giving more than 24 hours notice for the amount you have to prepay per visit, if you don't have insurance. (2) No communication from management to clinic finance person that their contract with health insurance provider was updated and patient wasn't supposed to prepay anything
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strength - allowing you to do monitoring in St Paul or Minneapolis. Weaknesses - (1) not always giving more than 24 hours notice for the amount you have to prepay per visit, if you don't have insurance. (2) No communication from management to clinic finance person that their contract with health insurance provider was updated and patient wasn't supposed to prepay anything
He never seemed to study up on the current cycle's prior visits and it felt like we were telling him what happened.
The nurses showed more compassion following our miscarriages than the dr. did. They were also always willing to answer questions.
Dr Demario always seemed wishy washy and not assertive enough with his opinion and assessment of the cycle status. I would have preferred someone who was more confident. He also never followed up with me after the 2 miscarriages.
Ask lots of questions if you don't understand something.
2016 we had 3 iui's with follistim, femara, and ovidrel to trigger. 2017 we had 2 ivf cycles (stims, retrieval, icsi, embryo transfer. First round was birth control for initial suppression, then follistim, menopur, endometrin, minivelle patches, hcg injection for trigger. Second round was the same except for increased follistim, coQ10 supplement, and I think we added in microdose Lupron. In 2018 we had 1 FET with the 2 remaining embryos from 2017 round 2, with birth control for initial suppression, estradiol tablets, and PIO injections.
I believe our reimbursement for the ART side of the first cycle was $9870. That does not include any bloodwork, monitoring appointments, or medication. The reimbursement we got the 2nd time was slightly higher due to needing embryo cryopreservation.
We only ever got grade 3 embryos. When we arrived at our FET in January 2018 he encouraged us to consider transferring 2 which would increase the chance of 1 sticking.
St. Paul

CRM is a very big and busy clinic, with many staff members. I had contact with many nurses during my treatment, and it was rare for any of them to really know the details of my case. There were several times (typically during phone calls) when I could tell that the nurses hadn't adequately reviewed my chart before calling.... It is very easy to feel like you are just an anonymous number, which we really didn't like. Having said that, it is generally easy to schedule appointments, it is easy to get through to the front desk staff, and the nurses generally call back in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Again, this is a big clinic with a large number of patients. It is very easy to feel like you are just an anonymous number, which we really didn't like. Having said that, it is generally easy to schedule appointments, it is easy to get through to the front desk staff, and the nurses generally call back in a timely manner.
CRM is a very big and busy clinic, with many staff members. I had contact with many nurses during my treatment, and it was rare for any of them to really know the details of my case. There were several times (typically during phone calls) when I could tell that the nurses hadn't adequately reviewed my chart before calling. Having said that, there were a couple nurses who were better than the others, and who clearly tried their best to compassionately treat my husband and I as individuals going through a very difficult process.
The nurses at CRM were such a mixed bag. We had a few nurses who were so kind and compassionate and friendly and helpful. On the other hand, there are a few others who were unnecessarily blunt, unhelpful, and talked down to me (as if I knew nothing about my own body or what I'd already been through). It would have been very, very helpful if I'd had a primary nurse (or two) assigned to my care. It was really difficult to be working with a different nurse every day.
Dr. Casey has a very matter-of-fact style of interaction. We had some pretty big losses during our treatment, and while she expressed sympathy, she was quite blunt. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with this--it just isn't our style and we would have preferred a little more compassion/empathy. Dr. Casey presented information about our options in an easy-to-understand format and we felt well-informed regarding the process. However, we felt like we were lead to believe that our chances of success were quite a bit higher than they actually were. We don't feel that Dr. Casey was realistic with us about our chances. Additionally, I was triggered on day 7 for two IVF egg retrievals (with egg retrieval on day 9). We were never told that triggering this early is very risky in regards to the chances of getting euploid embryos. Had we known the risks, we would not have decided to move forward with egg retrieval either time. We did really appreciate that Dr. Casey called us personally to report on PGS results, and she gave us her phone number to contact her if needed (without going through the phone triage system). We felt like we had access to her if we had any further questions.
I would recommend asking for very specific information regarding realistic chances of success, particularly for patients who are going into IVF with a lower chance of success (low ovarian reserve, low AMH, low AFC, history of a short follicular phase).
For IUI, we used Follistim for about 5 days, triggered on day 8, had IUI on day 10, and became pregnant, but miscarried around 9 weeks. Our first IVF protocol was with Follistim (starting dose 225) and Menopur (1 vial per day), with Ganirelix. We triggered with Pregnyl on day 7 and had egg retrieval on day 9. 6 eggs retrieved/6 mature/5 fertilized with ICSI/1 blast (PGS abnormal). Our second IVF protocol was with Follistim (starting dose 275, I think), Menopur (2 vials per day), and microlupron (started 2 days prior to Follistim/Menopur). We triggered with Pregnyl on day 7 and had egg retrieval on day 9. 7 eggs retrieved/5 mature/4 fertilized with ICSI/2 blasts (both PGS abnormal).
We paid about $12,000 per IVF cycle (plus the cost of PGS testing, which was about $3000).
Dr. Casey's approach was to do eSET with a PGS-tested euploid embryo. We were very much in favor of using this approach. Unfortunately, we never made any PGS normal embryos to transfer.
Minneapolis

You will be working with multiple nursing staff throughout your treatment [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]. You will always leave messages fir nursing staff and then they will call you back after they pull your chart. ...14 Days of stimulation based on my previous history of poor stimulation. Additionally, increasing my stimulation medications and changing my trigger.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
You will be working with multiple nursing staff throughout your treatment. You will always leave messages fir nursing staff and then they will call you back after they pull your chart. Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dr. Lebovic took the time to fully evaluate our case. He was our 2nd fertility specialist and he thoroughly evaluated our medical records, pursued additional testing, changed out protocol, and provided us with realistic outcomes based on our history.
We had a great experience with Dr. Lebovic. We were considering using donor eggs and my eggs. He gave us realistic statistics on both scenarios. He provided us with medical facts to assist with our decision. We appreciated his realistic, straight forward approach. We also appreciated that he understood each individual is different and he was willing to change my protocol based on my previous failed cycle at another clinic. He had excellent communication with us as well. He personally emailed me with some test results and personally called me with our pregnancy test results.
I feel Dr. Lebovic is an excellent, intelligent physician. He will provide you with realistic expectations and medical facts to assist you with your decision making. He has a straight forward approach, which we greatly appreciated.
14 Days of stimulation based on my previous history of poor stimulation. Additionally, increasing my stimulation medications and changing my trigger. 150 menopur, 300 follistim. 4 days of certitude. Hcg plus lupron trigger.
36,000 including medications
Minneapolis

17k for IVF cycle including medicine. Roughly 1.5k for iui cycles [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]...CRM is a very busy clinic. It can be difficult to get appointments at the time convenient for you since you visit so many times per cycle. They do a nice job making sure you fully understand the IVF process. Once you are at the clinic it is usually pretty quick at getting you in and out. I think clinics like CRM should consider adding an infertility psychologist.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Somewhere in the middle- our doctor is so smart she is more facts based.
Overall I really appreciated the nursing staff. They were almost all compassionate and knowledgeable. It was a bummer that I have a different nurse just about every time I visit. I had one encounter where there was some sort of miscommunication on the date of my FET which was concerning and the nurse blamed it on me that it was my misunderstanding where I did not feel that was appropriate.
Dr. Hopeman is very smart, and this is where some of the compassion and relations is lost a bit. I can see she wants the best but has a tough time communicating that. Although our processes were based off our situation and circumstances, our plans did seem to be heavily based on standard procedures.
Make sure to ask specific questions, as I have left wondering what the next steps are. She is honest with her answers.
Strategies were based off of the male infertility factor and the positive response my body had to medicines. None of the 5 IuIs or one IVF cycle worked so it is hard to say whether this was best for our situation
17k for IVF cycle including medicine. Roughly 1.5k for iui cycles. Not sure specifically how much an ultrasound, blood work, and other routine visits cost. Trial transfer and saline test roughly $600. Will be between 4-6k for FET
The clinic as a whole is very against multiple embryo transfer- so she was the same way.
Minneapolis

The clinic [Ctr for Repro Med] has been helpful through this process with booking appointments and helping with the financial portion - letting us know what is owed at what time (mainly the up front cost). I do wish they could help more with insurance/medications, etc as that’s been a frustrating part....We don’t have a nurse assigned to us (and perhaps that would be easier so they know everything going on versus just nursing notes) but they’ve all been very knowledgeable and helpful.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic has been helpful through this process with booking appointments and helping with the financial portion - letting us know what is owed at what time (mainly the up front cost). I do wish they could help more with insurance/medications, etc as that’s been a frustrating part. It was great the nurse gave us a heads up on the medications and to check with insurance but it’s been a complicated process (financial and insurance wise).
He responds to any questions I have almost immediately and makes sure he’s thorough with his explanation and next steps.
They’ve been wonderful throughout this process. We don’t have a nurse assigned to us (and perhaps that would be easier so they know everything going on versus just nursing notes) but they’ve all been very knowledgeable and helpful. I’ve called the nurse line multiple times throughout this process and they’ve been so great at getting back to me and making me feel at ease!
He’s been very responsive to questions I have which has been a huge help! He makes sure to adjust my treatments as needed after blood work. I did think we’d see him more during this process but understand the nurses roles and what they’re able to help us with!
I’d recommend going to him - he’s very knowledgeable and responsive!
We did 3 IUI treatments in hopes it would work before turning to IVF. Dr Lebovic changed up my prescription amounts after our first IUI after seeing how my body reacted to the medications. This helped my body produce more eggs but unfortunately with such a small success rate, we were not part of that. Also, once I started IVF and he viewed my blood read, he adjusted my follistim to a small dosage due to my E2.
We are still in the process of IVF and we are doing genetic testing but I believe the cost will be around $22K including our medications.

Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Communication with the nursing staff [CRM Mpls] is almost impossible. They never answer and if you don't answer it's impossible to get information...They were kind during the in patient procedures...They don't have urologist on staff, thought they could schedule my husband's sperm extraction, decided late in the game that it was too risky and we had to reschedule our entire cycle...It's nice to know that they are constantly collaborating.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It's nice to know that they are constantly collaborating. It's a convenient location for all of the procedures and it's nice that everything is done in one facility. It's unfortunate that the monitoring hours are so limited though they were able to generally get me in when I needed to see someone.
Colleen Casey spoke to us about our individual case. She was encouraging and understood the multiple considerations one needs to consider with IVF.
Communication with the nursing staff is almost impossible. They never answer and if you don't answer it's impossible to get information. I'm a teacher and I learned pretty quickly I needed to step out of my class and run down the hallway for privacy if I ever wanted any information. They were kind during the in patient procedures.
Colleen Casey answered all of our questions thoroughly and never made us feel dumb for asking. She was receptive and offered alternative options. The clinic operates such that you have minimal contact with your actual doctor so we only spoke with her a total of 4 times, including once on the phone. She did seem a bit annoyed when we called with an after hours question about embryo transfer. We felt we needed time to consider all of our options but she mentioned that they were going to call the next day. I was a bit taken back by this.
In general Dr Casey is encouraging but if you see her realize that other doctors at the clinic are more clinical and aren't always exactly familiar with your situation.
We had infertility due to my husband having anejaculation due to cancer treatment. I am 38 but with a health 4.8 AMH and they counted 22 follicles pre treatment. We were prescribed Menopur, follistim and ganirelex. I only stimmed for 6 days, they retrieved 9 eggs, only 5 mature, 3 blasts on day 6, all tested abnormal with PGS. Trying again this time with Lupron, Menopur and Follistim. Dr Casey is hoping to slow down stim process a touch in order to have more mature eggs to work with.
Dr Casey was wonderful in recommending PGS when we said that we were really uncomfortable risking a Twin pregnancy. With PGS we can do single transfer and be pretty confident that we are implanting a healthy embryo.
Minneapolis
This clinic [Center for Reproductive Med of MN] had a long waiting period to see a doctor (months). When I had a fail IUI the nurse asked me what I wanted to do next, my answer I don't know, what are my options (cause I honestly didn't know) I said IVF? The nurse goes you need to make an appt with the doctor to discuss that and he is book for weeks. Found that very frustrating to not be able to see a patient in a timely matter especially when everything with this is timely.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This clinic had a long waiting period to see a doctor (months). When I had a fail IUI the nurse asked me what I wanted to do next, my answer I don't know, what are my options (cause I honestly didn't know) I said IVF? The nurse goes you need to make an appt with the doctor to discuss that and he is book for weeks. Found that very frustrating to not be able to see a patient in a timely matter especially when everything with this is timely.
I felt like we had no direction in where to go with our treatments. We filled out a questionnaire and basically when we met with Dr. Damario he just read it back to us. My husband and I walked out of the clinic wondering if we should even continue. This clinic is where our insurance sent us first. Thankfully before we go fully into our treatment we were able to switch clinic and doctor. This was a night and day difference for us.
The nursing staff was nice. When I was at this clinic they didn't have an online portal where you could easily ask questions. I found that very frustrating and a little old school to not be able to email a nurse with a simple question.
We didn't feel like we had any understanding of our treatment or what they could do for us to help us start a family. He basically read back our questionnaire when we met with him and kept reading and showing us statistics. The statistics were not encouraging at all. We were mostly confused and didn't have any idea what the plan was. He didn't explain chromosomal/genetic testing with us very well, even though I'm over 35 years old. He was big into selling us on buying multiple IVF sessions, but didn't really give us a reason why we would need to do IVF multiple times.
For us, it was a blessing that our insurance had us switch clinics. This clinic was not the place for us. We do have friends that liked this clinic and Dr Darmario and had success here.
We did IUI because I had unexplained infertility and felt like it would work for us. Really with my age, we should of went straight to IVF and skipped IUI. Now it's clear to me why I was a great candidate for IVF, and not IUI. But this wasn't explained to me at this clinic.
We did not do IVF with this clinic.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
[At Center for Reproductive Medicine] A recommended change in care plan was not communicated to me by the doctor but rather by requesting me to pay my out of pocket portion of the next procedure that had never been talked about. I was not taught how to administer my ovidrel. They sent my prescription to an incorrect pharmacy...They put the incorrect appointment time for my husbands sample and my IUI, even though they had written the agreed upon time on my take home sheet. They are often behind schedule 15 minutes to 30 minutes.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Customer service is a weakness. They do not answer phone with identifying themselves. They put the incorrect appointment time for my husbands sample and my IUI, even though they had written the agreed upon time on my take home sheet. They are often behind schedule 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I'm struggling to find a strength...they are open half days on weekends.
A change in my care plan was presented to me at check-in by being asked to pay for an IUI up front, when IUI had never been discussed. It was later told to me by the nurse that Dr. Lebovic had charted this was the next step. This was not communicated to my husband or I prior to the appointment and obviously not by Dr. Lebovic. I requested a call from Dr. Lebovic and never did receive an apology.
Poor customer service. Nobody introduces themselves nor do they answer the phone with their names. I'm constantly asking for more information regarding how other patients approach obtaining out of pocket medicines, prescriptions are sent to the wrong pharmacy, the nurse line is never answered which leads to leaving a voicemail which they do not listen to carefully and call back to "clarify" information that was left in the voicemail.
We received poor communication regarding the treatment plan as well as diagnoses. Although compassionate in the first and only meeting, I do not feel that he is even directing my care due to the nurses making the care plan after a follow up and then checking with Dr. Lebovic later.
Inquire at your initial meeting regarding his communication regarding the treatment plan as well as his direct incolvement with follow up appointments.
I have no clue if a specific protocol is being used. Our first cycle with Dr. Lebovic was 7.5 mg of Femara days 3-5. Ultrasound CD 2 and 10. Ovidrel shot on CD 11. Our second cycle was the same dosage of Femara then I was prescribed Follistim CD 7-9 with an ultrasound on CD 10. I was told to wait to trigger until CD 12, timed intercourse on CD 12 and IUI on CD 14. We are in the middle of our third cycle. Same plan as cycle 2 except when I went for my ultrasound on CD10 they wanted me to continue Follistim through CD 13 and I go back on CD14 for another ultrasound.
IUI - $284 Density Gradient- $388.70
Minneapolis

You do see a different nurse [at Center for Reproductive Medicine] pretty much every time you're in, which makes it hard to build a relationship with your day to day caregivers. However all except one were extremely kind and thoughtful to me. In particular the nurses on retrieval and transfers were amazing... Billing and the business end is very efficient and straightforward. they do everything over the phone which can be tough if you're working a standard desk job, I wish they would do some things online.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It's a busy clinic with a good success rate; they know what they're doing! Billing and the business end is very efficient and straightforward. they do everything over the phone which can be tough if you're working a standard desk job, I wish they would do some things online. You always see different care providers which can make you feel a little like a number. But you're in and out in a short amount of time. Plus they pay for parking!
Dr Kuneck is very forthright but also kind and genuinely cares about his patients' success. The nursing staff in general is also very kind, but you see a different nurse/ultrasound tech every time you're in so it's hard to build a relationship with the caregivers you see daily. However Dr. Kuneck personally reviews your chart daily and makes all decisions about your care.
You do see a different nurse pretty much every time you're in, which makes it hard to build a relationship with your day to day caregivers. However all except one were extremely kind and thoughtful to me. In particular the nurses on retrieval and transfers were amazing.
I trust Dr. Kuneck completely. He was willing to adjust the treatment plan to what I felt like my body needed and he was genuinely disappointed along with us when our transfer didn't work. He was optimistic but also direct, and I appreciate his candor. He's very experienced and I value his insight.
You won't see him very much! Take the opportunities to have consults with him even if you don't think you need them. Know that he is making all of your care decisions.
First cycle: standard Lupron cycle, cancelled after only one large follicle developed. Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. Second cycle: microdose lupron flare cycle, retrieved five mature eggs from three follicles, one fertilized, transferred three day embryo. Negative pregnancy test. Third cycle (in progress): natural antagonist cycle (no birth control per my request).
Approximately $10k out of pocket for IVF itself, which you can submit to insurance for reimbursement (I got some dollars back). My insurance covers monitoring and bloodwork as well as medications.
Dr Kuneck talked to us about the risks and rewards of multiple embryo transfer, and shared with us that at my age, the risks of a multiples pregnancy (bedrest, prematurity, etc) were about equivalent to the increased rate of success. My husband and I are both not interested in twins, and appreciated his frank feedback and advice.

Anovulation, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
i did have to call and request test results [at Center for Reproductive Medicine] once. However, my doctor was on vacation and I think that is where the delay was. When I inquired regarding the results another doctor did call me that same day...Very busy. Wait times for consults or cycle starts are usually 3+ months. However, all the doctors I've had contact with have been great and many of the nurses are too. They run a tight schedule - appointments for ultrasounds and blood draws are usually right on time and you'll be in and out in no time.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Only contact with Dr. Campbell was during office consults (either prior or post treatment cycle) and during some testing (SIS, trial transfer). He did call to personally deliver PGS testing results (2 of 3 cycles) and was willing to consult with me over the phone after failed cycles to answer immediate questions. All other contact is with nursing staff. I do wish I would have had more contact with Dr. Campbell, but am appreciative that he did not rush during consults, etc.
The nursing staff seems very busy and,at times, can seem annoyed with questions, etc. Some of them seem guarded with your medical information - for instance, not willing to give up information regarding estradiol levels and follicle counts (I was told on more than one occasion, "you don't need to worry about it."). It is frustrating that you may not see the same nurse more than once in s treatment cycle.
How was your experience with Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I think Dr. Campbell is a good doctor. At consults, he took the time to answer questions and address concerns and was ready to adjust treatment plans when things weren't working. And, he admitted when he didn't know why things weren't working! He was willing to be as aggressive with treatment as we wanted. And I think he does truly care about his patients. After our 2nd cycle with nothing to transfer, I thanked him when leaving our consult. He stopped and looked at me with sincere compassion and said, "don't thank me, I haven't gotten you pregnant yet. You can thank me when I do".
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Be patient! He is very busy and wait times for consults and cycle starts can run 3+ months.
Describe the protocols Bruce Campbell used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
Cycle 1 - long Lupron, menopur, Gonal-f. All embryos arrested before reaching blastocyst stage. Cycle 2- menopur, Gonal-f, ganirelix. Switched to antagonist to see if it would make a difference with egg quality. 2 embryos reached blastocyst stage and were PGS tested abnormal. Cycle 3 - menopur, Follistim, ganirelix, HGH, prednisone, testosterone cream. One embryo reached blastocyst stage and was PGS tested normal.
Minneapolis

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.

Strengths [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] are that they will see you on the weekend so no time is wasted with waiting extra days. However, if you are at the St. Paul clinic, you will need to go to Minneapolis for your weekend appointments...You just have to stay on top of them to ensure they are sending in proper insurance paperwork in a timely manner. Weakness is that they only see you for certain procedures during the weekend. So if your baseline ultrasound ends up happening on a weekend, they will prefer you do it during a week day.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths are that they will see you on the weekend so no time is wasted with waiting extra days. However, if you are at the St. Paul clinic, you will need to go to Minneapolis for your weekend appointments. Dr. Damario is great and the nursing staff are also mostly great. You just have to stay on top of them to ensure they are sending in proper insurance paperwork in a timely manner. Weakness is that they only see you for certain procedures during the weekend. So if your baseline ultrasound ends up happening on a weekend, they will prefer you do it during a week day.
Dr. Damario personally meets with you to explain your treatment options. Then when you do your first pregnancy ultrasound, he is the one who does it (NOT a nurse).
I have had mostly wonderful experiences with the nursing staff. They are kind and understanding. The only big hurdle I've run into was getting approval from my new insurance this year and having the nurses send in the proper paperwork for approval in a timely manner. Other than that, all previous interactions have been very good.
From my first time meeting Dr. Damario, I knew he was a caring doctor. Compared to my first doctor, he is much more hands on with my care. I have seen him more in my one IUI cycle than I saw my other doctor in my 4 IUI's. Dr. Damario takes the time to explain things to you to make sure you understand the course of action. I highly recommend him.
Make sure you ask lots of questions.
For my one IUI cycle with Dr. Damario, we used Gonal-F (150 IU) and then Ovidril. We decided to go with this route because this is what worked in my last IUI which resulted in my son with a different doctor. This worked again as I got pregnant right away and we found out it was twins. Unfortunately, we lost the twins at 8 weeks gestation.
I'm covered by insurance so I have a $30 co-pay almost every time I go in. I am unsure what the other costs are.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Overall, CRM did a great job, and we of course were so grateful for our positive outcome. I do think they could show more compassion and grace while dealing with patients that have so much riding on their care. I think that the doctors are smart, and their protocols have worked for many of my friends, including us. Also, when my daughter was born, I sent a birth announcement, and I heard crickets. I really do think the least they could do is send a congratulations card. We have spent so much money and time, and there was no response. For example, I sent a birth announcement to my acupuncturist, and they sent a card and a Onsie. I just think CRM's overall customer experience could be upped, especially when people have poured their heart, soul, time energy and cash here.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr. Erickson was very patient and kind. She always had a smile on her face, and she was always very optimistic. She was truthful, but caring. I felt in very good hands with Dr. Erickson.
They seem distant and not engaged. I truly wish they had more compassion and empathy. It seemed like they were disengaged and just there doing their job. Going through fertility treatments is so emotionally exhausting that I wish that the nurses were more engaged.
How was your experience with Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr. Erickson was the first doctor we met with at CRM back in 2014. She explained that I should have a laparoscopy as a first step to confirm if I did or did not have endometriosis. Once I found that out, she advised we jump right into IVF, because outcomes are best. We were hesitant because of the cost, but she really seemed to push IVF. At first, we didn't appreciate the strong push, but once our IUI cycle failed, we decided to look into IVF. She was always very encouraging and compassionate. She was always hopeful and she seemed to have a very positive outlook for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Ask questions and take notes, and see if there is anything that would work before the cost of IVF. I think the best advice is to get educated on all of the terminology and scenarios.
Describe the protocols Lisa Erickson used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
I initially had two laparoscopies to excise the endometriosis. We then tried for six months with no luck, and tried IUI. IUI was not recommended, but we wanted to try anyways. We did a pretty straight and simple cycle with egg monitoring and a trigger shot. I had two mature eggs, and the cycle failed. We waited two months before we decided on IVF. When we went in for our IVF consultation it was January, and they didn't have an opening for a retrieval until May. I started birth control in late February, and then Lupron. I then used Menopur and Follistim. I was closely monitored and my eggs weren't where they should be, so we bumped up everything. I had my retrieval in early May, where I had 12 eggs retrieved. We decided before the cycle, that if I had anything more than 12 eggs, we were going to freeze the eggs, and just fertilize the 12 to limit the amount of embryos. We ended up with a perfect dozen, and of that 12, 8 were mature, and by day five we had three viable embryos. I used Minivalle patches and Endometrin. I feel like I had a pretty standard protocol, and we were happy with the outcome. We transferred one on day five and nine months later, our miracle daughter was born! We have two embryos on ice and we are just deciding on when would be a good time to grow our family again.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It was a well-oiled machine. I never had to wait more than five minutes. I really appreciated how efficient they kept appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Cycle Monitoring Medications Lab Work All said and done it was around $15,000
Describe Lisa Erickson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Our doctor strongly encouraged a single embryo transfer for the fresh cycle. For FET, she encourages multiples.
Minneapolis

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.

Making appointments for anything (ultrasounds, blood work, doctor visits) is easy. Many same day appointments available. The waiting room [Ctr for Repro Med of MN] is very cozy and inviting and doesn't make it seem like you are at a "clinic."... Our total IVF cost included ICSI and genetic testing. Freezing remaining embryos was not included. Medications were not included either. We were quoted around $15,000 for one IVF session
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Making appointments for anything (ultrasounds, blood work, doctor visits) is easy. Many same day appointments available. The waiting room is very cozy and inviting and doesn't make it seem like you are at a "clinic."
Each couple's infertility story is different and unique. Dr. Erickson takes that into consideration when creating a diagnosis and treatment plan. She was careful with her words and very sympathetic when she was explaining our diagnosis and our odds of conceiving.
They all worked as a team with their doctors. Appointments ran quick and smooth.
During our consultation, Dr. Erickson made sure she explained everything in terms we understood. She came in the ultrasound room with me and explained everything she was seeing, instead of waiting for her to read the results and tell us at another appointment. Before leaving that appointment, we had a diagnosis, a surgery date set up, and a tentative treatment plan. It was information overload but everything we have been waiting to hear. We finally got answers.
Ask lots of questions. You will go over a lot of information in a short period of time. Think of questions before your appointment and bring that list with you.
During our consultation, we set up a surgery date and a tentative treatment plan following surgery. After surgery, I was prescribed Femara and ovidrel injection, along with IUI. I did 2 IUI's following the same protocol and then it was recommended we do IVF. With Stage 4 endometriosis, your odds of conceiving on your own is very low.
We didn't get this far into our treatment yet.

PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
After my appointment I was leaving the exam room and heard a nurse [at CRM] say 'ya you can just throw that cervical polyp chart over there'. This made me feel even more like a number, like I wasn't being treated with any type of customization and that they honestly didn't care if I got pregnant or not. I ended up getting pregnant, which of course I can't complain about, but I wouldn't choose this clinic again.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
CRM has a high success rate, which is the whole point of fertility treatment so that's great. Patients are treated like numbers so if you're someone who needs compassion and to build a relationship with your doctor, this isn't the place for you. Nurses show no compassion and cycle you in and out quickly. I don't feel like treatment is customized.
I felt like a number at CRM. During my 3 IUI cycles and my IVF cycle I never saw my doctor one time. I had an issue with Lupron, and with that was able to speak with my Dr. on the phone. At one point during my IVF cycle monitoring a polyp was found on my cervix. This was very scary as I didn't want my cycle to be canceled. After my appointment I was leaving the exam room and heard a nurse say 'ya you can just throw that cervical polyp chart over there'. This made me feel even more like a number, like I wasn't being treated with any type of customization and that they honestly didn't care if I got pregnant or not. I ended up getting pregnant, which of course I can't complain about, but I wouldn't choose this clinic again.
I had a different nurse at each visit, so no primary. Also as I mentioned previously from the comments I overheard from a nurse, it's obvious they treat their patients as numbers and not real people.
Dr. Erickson was compassionate and friendly, but I never saw her besides during our initial consult so I don't feel like I can evaluate her. But since I have to use 200 characters I will say, that if a clinic is so busy, that their doctors don't even see a patient through their treatment, then they should take on less patients. Why even have a doctor?
See your patients during their cycles so they feel confident. My doctor is now retired so it doesn't really matter, but I'm sure CRM still operates like this.
During my 3 IUI cycles I too femara to stimulate follicle growth. During my last cycle I had NINE measurable follicles (it still didn't work). During my IVF cycle I was on follistim, menepur and lupron. I only produced 7 follicles. It seems like if I was able to produce so many by just taking a pill, that I should have produced a lot more by the invasive injectables. My Dr. and I weren't on the same page as far as a goal for eggs. Again, we're thankful it worked, but have no eggs frozen which means another round of IVF.
We purchased the attine program for about $22,000
We transfered one embroy which is all we had.
Minneapolis

Dr. Kuneck is very intelligent and was thorough when we actually saw him. However, that was not often. We mostly communicated with the nurses and other staff. Our only embryo transfer (which failed) was not performed by him, but rather a doctor I had never even met. My egg retrieval also was performed by another doctor in the clinic. The lack of presence was something I did not anticipate when we initially chose him as our RE. I had hoped for a doctor who was more hands on and who was more directly involved with us throughout the entire process.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I think this clinic is best for those who are the typical infertility case. Those who require a different and more customized approach, would do better elsewhere.
CRM is the busiest fertility clinic in Minneapolis with a high patient volume. Despite the countless office visits and appointments, it still felt as though I was a stranger to the staff.
The nurses were great. They were always available to answer questions. I rarely saw the same nurse twice, so I never felt like any of them really knew me. But one nurse in particular (Theresa) was amazing. I was fortunate enough to have her 2 or 3 times. She was so caring and supportive. She listened to my concerns, and really helped ease any worries or fears I may have had.
You really need to be our own advocate. Do your research and question any and everything you are doubting or concerned about.
For my retrieval, I initially was put on BCPs for 2-3 weeks, then lupron for 10 days, menopur, and Gonal F. This seems to be their go-to protocol. Fortunately, I responded well to the meds and didn't need any tweaking. They retrieved 19 eggs, 12 mature. For my FET cycle, again did BCPs for over a month. Once stopped, started lupron, then added estrace orally 3 times a day. Also 1 low dose aspirin. I started Progesterone in oil 5 days before transfer. This time I didn't respond well to the protocol, as my lining wasn't getting thick enough. I only measured 6.1 mm on day 14, so my transfer date was pushed out a week. They increased my estrace to 3 2mg tablets orally and 1 vaginally at night. On day 21, I measured 7.6 mm which they seemed to be satisfied with. I was very concerned that my lining wasn't thick enough, and suggested that maybe we cancel. We only had one embryo, so I wanted every precaution to be taken. I was told not to worry, that my lining was just fine. We went ahead and transferred our only beautiful, hatching embie, which resulted in a negative pregnancy.
We did 1 cycle of IVF with ICSI, 1 MicroTESE surgery and 1TESE surgery for my husband, egg freezing, embryo freezing, and 1 Frozen Embryo Transfer. Total our costs were upward of $30,000.
Minneapolis

The only strength [of the nurses at Ctr for Repro Med - Minnie] I can think of is timely responses to messages/voice mails, and a few of them showed compassion and caring. Most of them seemed to just want to get your visit/phone call/etc. over with so that they could get to the next person...This clinic puts everyone on birth control pills for both retrieval and transfers, in order to control your body to fit their schedule. For me, and for many other women, birth control pills wreak havoc on our emotional well being. So you will be an emotional mess while you wait two months on your birth control pills so you can fit into their schedule...
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Long wait times to get on their schedule for retrieval, transfer, etc. They obviously had a much bigger patient load then can appropriately carry. Not a single person there from receptionists, doctors, and nurses ever remembered your name, despite going there nearly daily at some points in the retrieval cycle. Not a single person ever asked me how I was doing with everything and their attitude was generally get em in and get em out.
The only strength I can think of is timely responses to messages/voice mails, and a few of them showed compassion and caring. Most of them seemed to just want to get your visit/phone call/etc. over with so that they could get to the next person.
He was friendly and had good bedside manner. We trusted him as a doctor....until we had two back to back transfer failures of PGS normal embryos and he didn't want to make any changes to our protocol. Just wanted to keep doing the same thing. I was the one who had to do all the research on things to try and bring ideas to him, most of which he shot down and seemed unwilling to do.
This clinic and doctor are very standardized - they put every patient on the same protocol and rarely change it, even if it's not working. If that's the situation you want to be in, by all means go to this clinic and doctor.
For egg retrieval: priming with birth control pills, then lupron, then stim with menopur and gonal f. No cetrotide/ganirelix. HCG trigger. For frozen transfer: birth control pills, then lupron, then prepare with estrace pills (worked up to 2mg three times a day), PIO injections after lining check. Baby aspirin.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
28k not including meds.
Minneapolis

I always felt welcome at CRM St. Paul. The entire staff is fantastic! They are very organized, well versed in insurance, compassionate, honest, friendly, kind and gentle. They get to know you, your family and your availability. They care!...The nurses at CRM are incredible! They are compassionate, kind, super intelligent, honest and available. I cannot say enough remarkable things about the nurses at CRM...The cost of procedures was very clearly outlined early on in our treatment and we were very aware of what to expect as far as insurance coverage and personal billing.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Dr. Damario did a great job of explaining my cycle, process and possible outcomes with both my husband and myself. He is thoughtful in his answers and takes his time with patients.
Dr. Damario is very soft spoken. He is thoughtful and very intelligent. Sometimes the science behind the procedures gets in the way of his human connection. He is the person that made decisions as to how to proceed in my treatment plan because of his knowledge and previous experience and then handed my treatment off to the incredible nursing staff at CRM. He explained risks and procedures well and was able to answer our questions.
I would suggest a future patient to be prepared with questions during the meeting with Dr. Damario. After our first two meetings, we did not see him but saw the fabulous nursing staff at CRM. (Seriously, the nurses are AMAZING!)
The cost of injections and other medications were expensive. I learned quickly to call around to various pharmacies when that option was available. The cost of procedures was very clearly outlined early on in our treatment and we were very aware of what to expect as far as insurance coverage and personal billing.
Dr. Damario talked very openly and honestly about multiple vs. single transfers. He offered insight into possible challenges and listened carefully to our wishes.
St. Paul

My monitoring appointments were always in the morning as then it gave time for the doctor to review everything and then make any necessary medicine dosage changes or anything like that. It was very much a well-run clinic [CRMM] and never did it feel like you were the next in line. ... The staff is really there to help you and they want the best outcome for their patients. Never once did they make me feel like I was being a burden and they always answered any questions I had.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The staff is really there to help you and they want the best outcome for their patients. Never once did they make me feel like I was being a burden and they always answered any questions I had. They were so helpful in so many ways and they really made you feel comfortable and that you mattered. When you're dealing with infertility the last thing you want to feel is as if you're just another number. The staff really treated me well.
Dr. Damario was quiet but explained everything very well. He always answered my questions and never did I feel like I was being a burden to him. He was to the point and never gave any sense of false hope.
The nurses and staff were the ones who I/we dealt with the most. We had the most communication between us and they could not have been more great. They always made sure our questions were answered and our concerns were addressed. Because I live about 2 hours away from them they were always so good about communication and accommodating when needed.
He was a very good doctor. I was scheduled with him after I had to reschedule my appointment from another doctor at the clinic. He was very nice and personable and explained everything to my husband and I in great detail. Even though he was quiet I felt like he was to the point and made sure we understood everything. He took the time to answer all of our questions and address our concerns.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. He is quiet but very personable.
My first protocol I was on Lupron, Menopur, and Follistim. After the first retrieval I produced 17 eggs, 10 were mature and 8 fertilized. Unfortunately we were left with no embryos after our genetic testing was done. For my next egg retrieval Dr. Damario decided to change my dosages on my meds and add in Ganirelix in hopes that I would produced more mature eggs and prevent any premature ovulation. At my retrieval we got 15 eggs, 13 were mature and 10 fertilized. After both retrievals and genetic testing we were left with 2 genetically normal embryos.
My monitoring appointments were always in the morning as then it gave time for the doctor to review everything and then make any necessary medicine dosage changes or anything like that. It was very much a well-run clinic and never did it feel like you were the next in line.
The costs were broken down into monitoring, procedures, and they gave estimates on what medications and genetic testing would cost. They also had the embryo storage cost information.
We did discuss the risks about transferring 2 vs 1 and ultimately the decision was left up to myself and my husband.
St. Paul

The clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] was located in a rather busy area however the parking structure and the way they provided free parking to patients was very easy to work with. I felt the staff was very professional and knowledgeable too. The patient accounts staff was also very good to work with and responsive. The front office staff was professional and welcoming which made the waiting area have a nice welcoming atmosphere. The lobby had a warm and professional look to it which made you feel as though they cared enough to make their patients comfortable.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic was located in a rather busy area however the parking structure and the way they provided free parking to patients was very easy to work with. I felt the staff was very professional and knowledgeable too. The patient accounts staff was also very good to work with and responsive. The front office staff was professional and welcoming which made the waiting area have a nice welcoming atmosphere. The lobby had a warm and professional look to it which made you feel as though they cared enough to make their patients comfortable.
She knew who we were by name at every appointment and was always candid with us on what steps to take. She was always caring and very understanding of our needs and fears. She never rushed us in our appointments.
They were all nice. Front desk staff was very polite at all times and the lab staff was warm and welcoming each time i was there to draw blood.
I liked that she wanted to try different things with us and was willing to try them. Especially when our old doctor wouldn’t and made us feel like it wasn’t possible. She was very understanding of our fears and worries. She worked hard to explain thumbs to us and to make sure we understood the process.
Ask a lot of questions and never feel that a question is too dumb to ask. Lisa is great at explaining things. Trust her judgement.
Since we had already home through 2 previous cycles with another doctor which resulted in the embryos becoming pregnancies but eventually miscarrying, she wanted us to try 5 day versus 3 day even tho I didn’t have as many eggs. She explained her reasoning and we felt it was worth the try. She also suggested a frozen embryo transfer instead of fresh and have us background detail to support her reasoning which we understood and agreed to even tho it was added cost for us. She was very thorough with her supporting information and her own experience that we felt we could trust her judgement.
Roughly 22,000
I do not have any comments because we did multiple embryo transfer without any issues.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Nursing staff [at CRM] were SO COMPASSIONATE. They truly hoped success for us, through & through. We saw many of the nurses throughout our treatment cycle. They worked well together & no matter who we were working with, they had knowledge about our cycle.... The clinic environment was very nice & welcoming. The front desk staff could be a little more friendly. At times I didn't feel comfortable checking in or making future appts because I felt like they didn't really care to help. CRM has a free info session, which was so nice to do, before going to our first real RE appt.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
We know CRM runs a busy clinic; but it seemed like we were shuffled through like a herd every visit. We didn't like that Dr. Malo was not involved in our transfer/retrieval. There was no consistency.
Nursing staff were SO COMPASSIONATE. They truly hoped success for us, through & through. We saw many of the nurses throughout our treatment cycle. They worked well together & no matter who we were working with, they had knowledge about our cycle.
How was your experience with John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr. Malo is really a great provider. He was on his way to retirement when we saw him; so I think if we caught him sooner-we may have had better luck with our cycle. He did care for us, but I think we could have had a few more tests done to make our IVF cycle better.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Do your research. Be proactive. Be your own advocate!
Describe the protocols John Malo used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
Dr. Malo had reason to believe his routine/common IVF protocol would work for us, with ICSI. I took lupron, menopur, follistim & doxycycline as I recall, plus a trigger shot. I did need to extend the meds as they did not see enough eggs/eggs not mature enough. Eventually I was given the go ahead for retrieval. Dr. (not Malo, one of his partners) retrieved 14, 11 were mature. We thought this was great! Each day that passed in the lab, our numbers dwindled. We had two day 5 embryos come transfer day. Neither embryo implanted.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
All in all for Dr. Malo, about $13,000.00 For meds, about $2,000
Describe John Malo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
From our experience CRM was open to what we felt comfortable with.

3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, PCOS
The clinic [CCRM] has done these treatments for years, and is a like a well oiled machine. You will be treated respectfully. It can feel a little cold emotion-wise, and at times you can feel like a number...The nurses were very organized, and prompt with returning phone calls. They weren't all super outgoing, but they did their job well...While usually it was a nurse that would return my phone calls, I do recall after one failed cycle the MD [dR. Kuneck] called me to discuss my case. This was on Christmas Eve. I was impressed as he didn't have to take the time on the holiday, but he knew that I was upset, and he called anyway.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic has done these treatments for years, and is a like a well oiled machine. You will be treated respectfully. It can feel a little cold emotion-wise, and at times you can feel like a number.
While usually it was a nurse that would return my phone calls, I do recall after one failed cycle the MD called me to discuss my case. This was on Christmas Eve. I was impressed as he didn't have to take the time on the holiday, but he knew that I was upset, and he called anyway.
Dr Kuneck has been doing these treatments since the 1980's. He is very professional, and he seems to stay up to date on current literature. I liked that he had such an extensive background in the field. While he doesn't show a lot of emotion, I was happy to have someone that I could trust due to his years of experience.
He knows what he is doing and has seen a lot in his career. He's not really warm and fuzzy, but you can trust that he will be direct with you.
I have endometriosis, so he didn't want to do any injectibles with IUI for me. I did 1 timed intercourse with clomid, 1 IUI with clomid, and then 2 IUIs with femara, as the side effects with clomid were rough. I did 1 IVF treament with a fresh day 5 transfer. I'm not sure of the name, but I started with BCP, then lupron, then injectibles. Due to painful IUI's, he decided I should be under anesthesia for the IVF transfer, which was very compassionate, in my opinion.
IUI covered by insurance. IVF shared risk program---$24,000
i was instructed last minute to only transfer 1 embryo. I'm so glad that I did.
Minneapolis

We had two consults with Dr. Campbell: one for the clinic & our first IUI there, then another pre-IVF meeting, with a year between. During those meetings, it was very much stats, numbers, step-by-step process for the treatment, nothing special or unique to us...they [the staff at ghe Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] see a lot of patients, which can lead to a bit longer waits for ultrasound appts. There are multiple REs and they have a calendar of who does retrievals and transfers, which rotates every 10 days or so. As a result, your RE may not do either retrieval or transfer.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic has higher rates of IVF success, which is a strength that outweighs most weaknesses. However they see a lot of patients, which can lead to a bit longer waits for ultrasound appts. There are multiple REs and they have a calendar of who does retrievals and transfers, which rotates every 10 days or so. As a result, your RE may not do either retrieval or transfer.
We had two consults with Dr. Campbell: one for the clinic & our first IUI there, then another pre-IVF meeting, with a year between. During those meetings, it was very much stats, numbers, step-by-step process for the treatment, nothing special or unique to us. I don't know that I really expected it to be tailored though, since they hadn't done the CD3 BW to determine treatment protocol at the times we met with him. After our IVF cycle, I had a twin MC/ectopic pregnancy. During that time, when I spoke with Dr. Campbell he was very kind and made me feel treated as a person. With that said, he usually calls to deliver IVF results, but was out of the office that day and a nurse called instead, which made me feel like a number.
I saw different nurses at most appointments. They were fine. Not overly compassionate, but generally not cold. (Although the nurse who called with my IVF beta results could use a lesson in compassion, rather than saying "you're pregnant", then hedging on saying anything about the low level other than "well it's not good, you'll just have to come back.") The nurses called when they said they would to give me plans for the next day of stims, scheduling was good, etc.
He was kind, but not involved in ultrasound visits, and did not perform either my retrieval or transfer. I assume that he was involved in med changes behind the scenes during stims. After our IVF cycle resulted in a twin MC/ectopic pregnancy, he was in contact more frequently, and squeezed us in between retrievals so that he could do 2 last-minute ultrasounds to try to find the second embryo (after I had miscarried the first). He was kind and empathetic without being sappy; he told us what to expect if it was found to be an ectopic which is what we needed.
Don't expect to see him during stims for either IUI or IVF. The doctors at this clinic monitor behind the scenes and have a rotating schedule for retrievals & transfers. There is very little contact with the actual doctor during a cycle.
Antagonist protocol: 2 vials Menopur daily + 150 Follistim daily for maybe 10 days, + Ganirelex for 6 days of that. HCG trigger. Our diagnosis is unexplained infertility; my levels are all good but borderline not good. The high levels of stims are due to that. He said at our WTF meeting that he would change to a Lupron cycle if we were to do another round of IVF, in hopes that we would get more blasts. (8 of 9 mature fertilized, but only 2 made it to blast.)
$10,475 for IVF cycle, plus meds. Meds were estimated at $3,000 for me based on CD3 BW results but ended up closer to $5,000.

2013 - 2015
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
A majority of my treatment was covered by a $10k insurance benefit. I believe the initial consultation was $450. CRM is extremely good at providing costs for services...I LOVE the nurses at CRM [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]! They were always very compassionate, supportive and responsive. They did a majority of my treatments (U/S, inject teaching, plan communication, IUIs) and always made me feel confident and at ease. I trusted them completely....I LOVE the nurses at CRM! They were always very compassionate, supportive and responsive. They did a majority of my treatments (U/S, inject teaching, plan communication, IUIs) and always made me feel confident and at ease. I trusted them completely.
2013 - 2015
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
Dr Casey was great at treating me like a person because I never felt like she didn't remember who I was, or my case details. She remembered particular details, called me personally with results, and tailored my treatment plan to ME, not just a medical suggestion that fit my diagnosis.
Dr. Casey is great. She listened to my concerns, and didn't dismiss my specific treatment requests- if they weren't in my best interest she would explain why, and then offer options. When I explained to her that I wanted aggressive treatment, she gave me a sound plan for hopefully achieving a healthy pregnancy. The perfect combination of "to the point" and people skills.
Don't be afraid to ask for a specific treatment, or for her opinion on a course of action. She is very receptive.
I started on femara, at my request. Three cycles with Femara and TI yielded no results, so I was moved up to IUI +trigger. At this time Dr. Casey was on leave and a colleague of hers was monitoring her cases. This doctor refused to bump me to injection med with IUI+trigger, which I feel wasted cycles. I did 2 femara +IUI cycles with no result. On her return, Dr. Casey apologized for the mismanagement of my cycles while she was out, and immediately started me on an inject+trigger+IUI regimen. After my 1st failed inject/trigger/IUI cycle, my AMH was tested and was found to be .6, extremely low. We tried much higher doses of Gonal-f for my 2nd and 3rd injection IUIs, the 3rd IUI with these higher doses resulted in pregnancy and a live singleton birth.
Minneapolis

Strengths [of Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] are their availability to see many patients due to their staff. Additionally, they did work out a payment plan with me when treatment expenses exceeded the quote. It's styled to feel more "homey" if that's your thing. Weaknesses include the attitudes of the nursing staff. Additionally, when I had to come in over the weekend for monitoring, one of the other doctors was complaining about how it was his weekend to work and he didn't want to be there. It felt like the clinic was out to make money, not treat infertility.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths are their availability to see many patients due to their staff. Additionally, they did work out a payment plan with me when treatment expenses exceeded the quote. It's styled to feel more "homey" if that's your thing. Weaknesses include the attitudes of the nursing staff. Additionally, when I had to come in over the weekend for monitoring, one of the other doctors was complaining about how it was his weekend to work and he didn't want to be there. It felt like the clinic was out to make money, not treat infertility.
I only saw Dr. Casey twice during my 3 cycles of treatment. I had a different nurse every time and I didn't feel that my treatments were personalized. It was get me in and out as quickly as possible to get as many patients seen as possible.
Very matter-of-fact and didn't take the time to explain anything to me. When I questioned anything, I felt brushed off and not taken seriously.
She was friendly, but basically asked me how I wanted to proceed instead of giving her recommendation. She seemed confident I could conceive without intervention, even after 3 failed medicated cycles. I didn't feel that she had enough time to dedicate to really learning my situation and the treatment plan suffered as a result.
Demand time and specifics. Ask what the plan will be if you don't respond as predicted. Push for diagnostic testing.
I did two cycles of clomid and timed intercourse and one cycle of femara and timed intercourse. I didn't respond well to the clomid (only one follicle while taking the max dose), but did respond well to femara. I had indicated to her and the nurses that I ovulate late, but they still had me come in as if I was going to ovulate on CD14. This caused me to have to pay for additional ultrasounds which got to be very expensive. None of these cycles resulted in a positive pregnancy test.
Each cycle was extended due to my late ovulation which added at least two ultrasounds at ~350/scan. Due to this, we spent almost $5k on three cycles which was well above the estimated costs.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
[Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota[ was] wery clean, upper class, good communication. Not a clinic where anyone would know your name - you are just a number here. [Nursing staff] always had my chart in front of them, would share number results, was compassionate, thorough and intentional. A solid team!...However, towards the end of our time with [Dr Casey], the clinic was growing in patient volume and her interactions were getting less.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Very clean, upper class, good communication. Not a clinic where anyone would know your name - you are just a number here.
She didn't rush us at any time, was available via phone, and seemed to listen to all our thoughts with sincerity.
Timely response time, always had my chart in front of them, would share number results, was compassionate, thorough and intentional. A solid team!
Dr. Casey listened well, was very compassionate and driven to help us succeed. Often times though, I would need to raise my concerns to her with data on why I thought treatment should be modified and then she would agree, and change treatment. I am thankful I advocated for myself as much as I did but wish that she would have been more proactive. If I hadn't known as much about fertility as I did, I don't think certain protocols would have been used. I did appreciate her willingness to take a call and felt that she was interactive in our IUI and IVF protocols. However, towards the end of our time with her, the clinic was growing in patient volume and her interactions were getting less. When faced with a D&C, I appreciated her sharing her own experience with us to make our nerves less. She was compassionate and thorough and put our needs as a priority.
Bring questions and know she will be willing to answer them all and make sure you understand them.
All 4 of our IVF cycles with her (2 fresh, 2 frozen) had me questioning some of my blood levels and protocols used. I was worried I was over suppressed and concerned with my hormones levels. Most of the time, she was not concerned, but after visiting other doctors, my concerns were validated. I wish I knew as much then as I knew now. The protocols seemed very basic and standard (mainly pre-printed in their guide book) and I would have like to see her individualize the protocols more. When I did express concern about estradoil levels for example, sharing that oils worked better for me than patches or pills, she was willing and happy to make those protocol changes, but again, that is something only learned through experience.
I liked that they have women who are pregnant come in the afternoon, so you are never faced with a baby bump while in the waiting room. They always ran on time, had a good amount of appointments to choose from and I never had a problem!
Competitive within the Twin Cities area

2013 - 2014
I honestly can't say enough good things about this staff [at Center for Reproductive Medicine] . They became our family. The nurses there went above and beyond. They would make emergency appointments for me when I was bleeding, they would move things around to help accommodate our lifestyles. The most important thing is they were overjoyed with us when we got pregnant. They genuinely cared- you can't ask for more.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They are great at scheduling. They are fabulous at making connections with their patients. One area they could work on is avaliblity.
The nurses at the Saint Paul clinic treated us like family. They laughed, cried and prayed with us, then genuinely cared about us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota. (Assigned nurse: Center for Reproductive Medicine)
I honestly can't say enough good things about this staff. They became our family. The nurses there went above and beyond. They would make emergency appointments for me when I was bleeding, they would move things around to help accommodate our lifestyles. The most important thing is they were overjoyed with us when we got pregnant. They genuinely cared- you can't ask for more.
We had a very high risk pregnancy and retrieval. Lots of moving parts including PGS testing. He was perfect. Explained everything to a T and was able to also comfort us. He explained every option and its outcomes. He was extremely realistic.
He is honest, but knows his stuff.
I have PCOS so Dr.Malo used a protocol that involved long days of medication. I took follistim, meapour as well as citratide during my cycle. He very closely monitored my levels so I would not get OHSS. He was very careful with every dose and every medicine I took. Even though I always saw a nurse he would call me every day after my appointment to check in. He told us that the flair protocols is sometimes used for patients who have PCOS, but that often times ends in OHSS (which I got from a previous clinic). He said that he would rather do "slow and steady wins the race" instead of fast and furious.
Fresh cycle: $14,000 PGS testing: $2,500 FET: $4,300
Dr. Malo suggested that we do 1 embryo due to my age as well as the PGS testing we had done. I asked the risks for 2 embryos and he agreed that I would have a better chance of pregnancy with 2 embryos, but still have a fabulous chance of pregnancy with 1, especially with doing an FET.
St. Paul

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.

2012 - 2013
The St. Paul Center for Reproductive Medicine nursing staff is top notch. They know your name, your story, and spend the time needed to answer any and all questions. I was welcomed back 4 years later for my second IVF with open arms and the entire nursing staff still knowing me and being their for me...There will be a only a handful of meetings with the doctor, it is the nursing staff at the St. Paul office that will be seeing you day in and day out and they are the ones that you need to connect with. I loved their entire staff.
2012 - 2013
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Overall the clinic itself is great with scheduling and being accommodating to your schedules. I do wish they were a bit better with the financial side of things as it gets very confusing and thought they could have done a better job of talking through the details of payments.
AMAZING! They made the process so much less painful. Always had compassion and respect for our journey and I couldn't have gotten through both times with out them.
John has since retired, so i really think this a mut point, but his demeanor and explanations of the procedures we were doing was helpful and always felt like he was taking his time with me and my husband.
many failed IUI cycles that led to trying IVF. I had a great response and ended up with 5 emboyos on day 5. We used icsi after identifying a male factor late in the game right before IVT procedure one. We transferred the best quality egg (did not do testing) singleton and got pregnant. we froze the other 4 embryos. 3 1/2 years later I returned to the same clinic to transfer another singleton after one failed cycle where my lining didn't thicken enough we transfered another singleton which resulted in a positive pregnancy and now I have two children. We made the decision to donate the remaining 3 embryos as our family is complete.
Lots and lots of money. :-) some paid by insurance, but a large majority was out of pocket
Dr. Malo advised against multiple embryo transfer after taking measurements of my uterus. He didn't think I could carry multiples to term. Both my children were 5 1/2 lbs and came early, so he was spot on with his assessment.

2008 - 2010
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
[Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]... was the only reproductive endocrinologist clinic I visited so I have nothing to compare it to. It may have been that I was not a quality patient in that my chances were so low from the get go with poor egg quality, but I still would like to think that doctors and nurses do what they do for the people that they can effect. Instead I felt like a disappointment to their "stats" and a number with each visit...loosing hope is devastating and having your "care team" not really care, is beyond words.
2008 - 2010
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It's one of few and this was the only reproductive endocrinologist clinic I visited so I have nothing to compare it to. It may have been that I was not a quality patient in that my chances were so low from the get go with poor egg quality, but I still would like to think that doctors and nurses do what they do for the people that they can effect. Instead I felt like a disappointment to their "stats" and a number with each visit...loosing hope is devastating and having your "care team" not really care, is beyond words.
There is very little contact with the doctor who so warmly freets you at the beginning of this "journey". And the nurses are different every time you go in to the office...and their moods very. Tremendously.
I wish I remembered their names because a few were fantastic! Warm, friendly and took the time to make you feel like you're a person. Some even like you are a person going through the toughest days of your life thus far-those nurses I wish I could go back and hug. Several were very clearly, busy. Even delivering the news that the one follicle that was there yesterday (yes 1) is suddenly gone and you are to wait weeks and then start all over. With zero emotion because the were busy washing up their hands so they could scurry on to the next patient. No compassion. How do you work here? Perhaps a blood bank would be more fitting for these nurses.
Dr. Erickson was lovely, kind, soft spoken. At our first visit I felt hopeful and in good hands. That feeling grew more and more distant with each visit and contact directly with her became almost extinct. Our hopes diminished not due to her efforts but directly related to the results. My egg quality was extremely low. I could feel that she was only proceeding due to my emotional inability to give up. At one point she was forthright in telling us if we proceed and success is not achieved, it brings their clinical numbers down. That was hurtful, although truthful...it was not my job to care and it stung that she'd even ask us to. Talk about feeling like a number. When the day came for the one egg my body had produced to be attempted to be retrieved, in all our nerves riding on that 50/50 chance she told us we had....she wasn't even there. Without warning she had sent another doctor whom I had never before met. He, not she, was the one in my haze while awaking from anesthesia to tell me we had failed. And inevitably that I would never carry or birth a child. I was crushed on several levels.
Ask her not to sugar coat and to BE SURE to inform you that you will not see her often. And ask her to please inform you should a physician other than herself be performing your procedures.
Unfortunately in the last 6 years much of this has escaped me, although when going through it all you hang onto every word, learn and know every term, the cost of every drug and the names & numbers of every pharmacy and their prices... I recall Folistim pens...lots of them. I recall vials of Bravelle and then trying Lupron. And somewhere alon the line there was Menapur. It is quite blurry...and thankfully in the rear view mirror.
It was tough...feeling like a number.
Expensive

2017 - 2019
[Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] worked hard to get appointments as needed. I even went in on thanksgiving - a nurse let me in! - for part of my cycle...We used an agonist protocol the 2nd time around, as the first time I didn’t have enough egg stimulation. I guess it’s normal to start off the way we did (I don’t remember all the details) but this seemed to work much better...Due to having our embryos tested, we only transferred one.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Waiting room is hard to be in, but not sure how to make that better. I seemed to remember that they worked hard to get appointments as needed. I even went in on thanksgiving - a nurse let me in! - for part of my cycle.
She was direct and answered all questions I had. After my first retrieval when none of my embryos tested were healthy, I was devastated. After she called with the results I was able to get an appointment with her to discuss my options.
From my memory, most were wonderful.
If you want someone direct, she’s good. At first I wasn’t sure I liked her, as she’s not super warm and fuzzy. But she was thorough and answered all of my questions with diagrams as well. She changed protocols as soon as my first stim cycle didn’t generate eggs as expected.
Ask her about next steps if the first time around doesn’t work. Also ASK ABOUT TESTING! it made a world of difference for us and helps create a healthy pregnancy, in my perspective.
My monitoring was all covered from my insurance. But meds and IVF procedures were not. It was incredibly expensive.
Due to having our embryos tested, we only transferred one.
Minneapolis

The nursing staff [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] was very hit or miss. Some nurses gave excellent, detailed care. Other nurses were short and at times rude if we had extra questions regarding our care...We did the Affirm program to pay for IVF. Highly recommend. I believe that is around 26000 for a live birth...Strength is Lebovic and the other doctors we encountered for procedures. The Weakness is some of the nurses and ultrasound techs that could work on their bed side manner. Especially during such a stressful and challenging time, a rude nurse can hurt more than it might otherwise.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Lebovic did an amazing job responding to our emails and phone calls with questions. He is very gentle and seems to genuinely care about us. He also seemed understanding of the emotional turbulence that comes with treatment. At times, it felt like there were too many patients at the clinic because it took so long to schedule some of our appointments.
The nursing staff was very hit or miss. Some nurses gave excellent, detailed care. Other nurses were short and at times rude if we had extra questions regarding our care.
Lebovic was timely with after hours phone calls and emails. His gentle manner helped ease our anxiety on several occasions. He consistently did a good job explaining treatments and what to expect. His understanding of the stress physically and mentally was especially appreciated during this long and stressful process.
Trust the process. Trust Lebovic. Reach out to him when you need support. Sometimes just hearing his words helped calm us down from the fear of infertility.

2016 - 2019
Front desk staff [Ctr for Repro Med of MN], phlebotomist, and some nurses not very friendly and treat you like a number. When something is going on medically different, it’s hard to communicate with staff and hard to hear back from them or hard to feel like you’re being taken seriously.... Just sometimes failure to follow through with what they said they would do. You feel like you are bothering them if you have questions. They failed to call with beta results and call in prescriptions. I had to call a couple times to request them again.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Front desk staff, phlebotomist, and some nurses not very friendly and treat you like a number. When something is going on medically different, it’s hard to communicate with staff and hard to hear back from them or hard to feel like you’re being taken seriously.
I did not feel that with my specific diagnosis’, communication, treatment modifications were made or evaluated on a per cycle basis. Treatment modification suggestions came from me and not the doctor. I do not feel that treatment outside of prescribed medications (eg. diet modifications, supplements, Chinese medicine, etc.) were taken seriously when brought up by me. I had OHSS but was not taken seriously, I had to beg to be seen and treated.
Treat you like a number. Most do not talk to you about anything other than treatment. Once, a nurse completely missed that there was fluid still in my uterus on cd10. I had to tell her what the ultrasound tech said.
Approachable and friendly. Easy to get follow-up appointments and willing to talk over the phone. Does not think outside the box or suggest alternative/Chinese medicine to help. Supplements are never discussed and not taken seriously, outside of take a prenatal.
Be your own advocate and do your research.
Gonal-f 75 Femara 5 Orividrel trigger Progesterone
I don’t remember. A list was provided at the beginning of treatment what my ins covered with IUIs.

2012 - 2018
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Make an appointment as soon as possible as it takes a while to get in for a consultation [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of MN-Minneapolis]. Clinic is nice and front desk staff and IVF education staff is wonderful. Phlebotomists are also great. Donor egg staff is also amazing to work with.... I don’t remember specifics of my IVF cycles using my own eggs. I was a slow responder to meds and my cycles were extended by 3-4 days each time. After my second cycle resulted in no embryos he did have an honest conversation about turning to donor eggs along which I appericated. But I did use Lupron on all 4 cycles.
2012 - 2018
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Make an appointment as soon as possible as it takes a while to get in for a consultation. Clinic is nice and front desk staff and IVF education staff is wonderful. Phlebotomists are also great. Donor egg staff is also amazing to work with.
He was always very honest but caring. He made calls after a failed cycle the same day of results even if it was 10pm. I also remember him holding my hand and supporting me during a bleeding episode with my first pregnancy while he checked for a heartbeat. I’ll never forget that moment.
Some nurses had a cold bedside manner.
Dr Kuneck was very honest and could be blunt but always delivered everything with compassion. He explained everything very thoroughly and in easy to understand terms. He was always very busy and his appointments offer ran very late when meeting with him.
If you are looking for someone for to sugar coat news Dr Kuneck may not be the best Dr for you.
We spent about $30k for donor cycle and $5000 for FET.
Minneapolis

Great clinic [Center for Reproductive Med of MN], very compassionate and sensitive. They do have a sign that says no children allowed due to the sensitive nature, but on two appointments there were children in the office. Parking can be tight, but they do give you tokens for their ramp.... They were all great to work with. It seemed you worked with the same team of nurses for all your appointments. When I did get a positive ultrasound confirmation they all said see you in two years. I think that was due to us having embryos left. We did not plan on having more than one child, but it wasn't a big deal. I did miscarry so we will be seeing them asap.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Great clinic, very compassionate and sensitive. They do have a sign that says no children allowed due to the sensitive nature, but on two appointments there were children in the office. Parking can be tight, but they do give you tokens for their ramp.
Dr Lebovic sincerely cares about his patients. He is available after hours and weekends and he directly contacts you back with results, good or bad.
Dr Lebovic is great to work with. He contacted me in the wee hours of the morning when I was having symptoms of OHSS. He responded to an email on the weekend when I had found out I was having a miscarriage. He then reached out to me without prompting with ideas for the next cycle as he knew we were going to try again.
Ask anything at any time.
Egg retrieval included many medications, shots and otherwise. FET transfer was estradiol and endometrin along with baby aspirin. Protocol will be changing to PIO for the next FET.
The costs varied based on treatment and insurance coverage. They are very upfront and state all costs before you start and it is on the website.
He strongly suggested in my case we transfer one and gave pros and cons for both.