Chaska
Minneapolis, MN 55407
991 Sibley Memorial Highway, Suite #100
St. Paul, MN 55118
651-379-3110

I enjoyed my initial consult meeting with her [Dr. Colleen Casey]. She was straight to the point and not phased that we were a same sex couple. But I never saw her again. I was shuffled around between nurses and techs. If I called with a question or the nurses were on a fence if we should go forward on a cycle, the nurses would reach out to her and then get back to me...She’s very knowledgeable and thoroughly explained how we would proceed with IUI. I just wish she was more hands on with patients who aren’t doing IVF.
I was shuffled around between nurses and techs [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]...The clinic is very IVF focused, and I would trust them if we needed to go that route. Just be prepared to be treated like a second class citizen if you’re doing other treatments...The first time I went in for the vaginal ultrasound, the tech did the inspection and the nurse came it to give me the prescription for Ovidrel and letrozole. I asked her what they saw on the ultrasound and she seemed annoyed that she had to stop and explain something. The other nurses were great and optimistic. I just wish they explained more. For example never told me how many follicles or what size unless I asked.
How was your experience with Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I was impressed with my one actual interaction with her. She’s very knowledgeable and thoroughly explained how we would proceed with IUI. I just wish she was more hands on with patients who aren’t doing IVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Be prepared to never see her beyond your consult
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I enjoyed my initial consult meeting with her. She was straight to the point and not phased that we were a same sex couple. But I never saw her again. I was shuffled around between nurses and techs. If I called with a question or the nurses were on a fence if we should go forward on a cycle, the nurses would reach out to her and then get back to me. The clinic is very IVF focused, and I would trust them if we needed to go that route. Just be prepared to be treated like a second class citizen if you’re doing other treatments.
Describe the protocols Colleen Casey used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
I chose the medicated IUI route because of the higher odds. I appreciated being able to choose. We used letrozole CD 3-5 and Ovidrel when instructed after the second ultrasound.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The front office staff has no personality and is short with everyone in line. I appreciate the the signs in the lobby asking that patients don’t bring children. Everything is clean and professional. I appreciate the free garage parking. The andrology lab down the hall is incredibly organized, professional, and has a lovely staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I thankfully have some limited fertility coverage, so I only had to pay up to my deductible and all the costs associated with sperm. I think each cycle of actual treatment (minus sperm) was billed around $1200.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
There were a couple times where a nurse would make a call about when to trigger and then after they consulted with Dr Casey would call frantically to order something different. If this cycle hadn’t worked, we were planning on switching to a different clinic.
Minneapolis

I never got to talk to my doctor...I had no idea what my treatment should look like or why- I just kept calling and going in for baselines month after month with no results and no feedback....Meg [Dr. Hopeman] was compassionate on the first meeting and very hopeful. Then, I only saw her twice in 6 moths of treatment. Didn't see her again till I cried and said I was going to another clinic. Thr treatment plan wasn't explained further and I just kept going back in for more IUIs
Very disorganized. I sat in the office [Ctr for Reprod Med of Mininnesota] on more than one occasion waiting to be called back after checking in, and turned out that my file had just been sitting on the desk, never taken back to the nurses. Almost never got called back when leaving messages for the nurseline, and they didn't stagger staff so there was never anyone working over the lunch hour....Costs for treatment were very reasonable compared to other clinics.
How was your experience with Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Meg was compassionate on the first meeting and very hopeful. Then, I only saw her twice in 6 moths of treatment. Didn't see her again till I cried and said I was going to another clinic. Thr treatment plan wasn't explained further and I just kept going back in for more IUIs even though there was no regroup to see why nothing was happening.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
You need to ask specially to have her call you, or you will never hear from her again and will have a new nurse every time you enter the clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Describe the protocols Meg Hopeman used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
No rational for any treatment. I used letrozole 3 times/day for multiple IUIs, then changed to Gonal f 300 for the last two.
You had a different nurse every time you came into the clinic. I honestly maybe saw one nurse more than one time. Felt very businesslike and impersonal. The nurses themselves were all nice, but none seemed to have any answers to any of my questions and I always left confused.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Very disorganized. I sat in the office on more than one occasion waiting to be called back after checking in, and turned out that my file had just been sitting on the desk, never taken back to the nurses. Almost never got called back when leaving messages for the nurseline, and they didn't stagger staff so there was never anyone working over the lunch hour.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Costs for treatment were very reasonable compared to other clinics. You get what you pay for though.
This place was a mess. My new clinic never got the records we asked for, so had to get all new labs done. Nurses constantly gave conflicting info and next to never spoke with the doctor. Appointments were usually running late, but that was to be expected.
2016 - 2019, Successful
I did not feel that with my specific diagnosis’, communication, treatment modifications were made or evaluated on a per cycle basis. Treatment modification suggestions came from me and not the doctor [Dr. Casey].... Approachable and friendly. Easy to get follow-up appointments and willing to talk over the phone.... I had OHSS but was not taken seriously, I had to beg to be seen and treated.
Front desk staff [Ctr for Repro Med of MN], phlebotomist, and some nurses not very friendly and treat you like a number. When something is going on medically different, it’s hard to communicate with staff and hard to hear back from them or hard to feel like you’re being taken seriously.... Just sometimes failure to follow through with what they said they would do. You feel like you are bothering them if you have questions. They failed to call with beta results and call in prescriptions. I had to call a couple times to request them again.
Approachable and friendly. Easy to get follow-up appointments and willing to talk over the phone. Does not think outside the box or suggest alternative/Chinese medicine to help. Supplements are never discussed and not taken seriously, outside of take a prenatal.
Be your own advocate and do your research.
I did not feel that with my specific diagnosis’, communication, treatment modifications were made or evaluated on a per cycle basis. Treatment modification suggestions came from me and not the doctor. I do not feel that treatment outside of prescribed medications (eg. diet modifications, supplements, Chinese medicine, etc.) were taken seriously when brought up by me. I had OHSS but was not taken seriously, I had to beg to be seen and treated.
Gonal-f 75 Femara 5 Orividrel trigger Progesterone
Treat you like a number. Most do not talk to you about anything other than treatment. Once, a nurse completely missed that there was fluid still in my uterus on cd10. I had to tell her what the ultrasound tech said.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Front desk staff, phlebotomist, and some nurses not very friendly and treat you like a number. When something is going on medically different, it’s hard to communicate with staff and hard to hear back from them or hard to feel like you’re being taken seriously.
I don’t remember. A list was provided at the beginning of treatment what my ins covered with IUIs.
Describe Colleen Casey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Minneapolis

You are not assigned an individual nurse here and this is a large clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine]. This means that every time you go in you are dealing with a new person. When things come up there is no easy access point. You can call the nurse line but you will consistently be directed to the voicemail system and can expect to wait all day for a call back. When you do get a call you should be prepared for the nurse to be entirely unfamiliar with your case and to have 'skimmed' your voicemail at best.
How was your experience with Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr. Lebovic is obviously intelligent and takes a very evidence-based approach to treatment. He is a fine choice for standardized care if you are a straightforward case. If not, however, you may find yourself frustrated as there is limited openness to tweaking protocols, adding supplements, etc. Dr. Lebovic tries to connect and is very responsive (called/emailed immediately with test results and to answer questions) but his bedside manner is lacking in warmth. I'm not typically one that needs a lot of warmth, in fact I am sometimes irritated by it! But his was just such an anxious, cold presentation that it made me uncomfortable and added to the stress of it all. Infertility treatment is stressful enough, do yourself a favor and only choose to work with a provider that you feel good about!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Give him a shot, perhaps your personalities will jive better than mine did with him. Be prepared to ask a lot of direct questions and receive very brief answers. Don't hesitate to reach out to him for guidance as needed as he is happy to help.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr. Lebovic does his best to be a clear communicator and to be responsive. The problem is just that there is no sense of warmth. He is neutral in every way one can imagine. Flat affect, flat intonation, provides limited opinions and observations, etc. We could tell he was trying but it was just all very cold.
Describe the protocols Dan Lebovic used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
Birth control leading into things. Antagonist protocol (ganirelix) + 300IU Follistim + 150IU Menopur. Ovidrel trigger. The rationale for using this protocol was never explained to me.
You are not assigned an individual nurse here and this is a large clinic. This means that every time you go in you are dealing with a new person. When things come up there is no easy access point. You can call the nurse line but you will consistently be directed to the voicemail system and can expect to wait all day for a call back. When you do get a call you should be prepared for the nurse to be entirely unfamiliar with your case and to have 'skimmed' your voicemail at best. I had mutliple experiences where the nurses called back and provided inaccurate information about my case which instills very little confidence. When I lost a pregnancy it was very difficult to reach anyone for help about what to do and when I finally did the contact was neutral at best.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This clinic is a factory. There are quite a few doctors, a lot of nurses, and many, many patients. This means that it is very unlikely that you will see your identified provider after the initial consult or that you will notice many familiar faces at your appointments. On egg retrieval and transfer days you could have any provider in the practice assigned to you and, be warned, they do not all have superb bedside manner. This results in unecessary stress on very important days. This is also a clinic that schedules cycles quite far out (2+months after consult) and seems to run patients in 'batches' meaning that they may have you on birth control for months to sync up your cycle with their schedule.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The actual cycle was about $14,000. Meds were probably another $3000.
Describe Dan Lebovic's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Prefers eSET but open to multiple embryo transfer when appropriate.
Failed to receive test results until I reached out to them. Received conflicting information from the nurses and my doctor.
Minneapolis

I met with Dr. Damario for an initial consultation and then once more two weeks prior to Stimulation start for a baseline ultrasound and trial transfer. During the entire course of IVF treatment, egg retrieval, and transfer I did not see or hear from Dr. Damario at all.... He did not seem to be aware of what was happening with my care. He couldn’t recognize me and didn’t know my name. He always had his nurse contact me, except once
We pre-paid $1200 for cryopreservation of embryos. More than 6 wks after all of our embryos stopped developing and it was confirmed we did not have any left for cryopreservation, we had still not received a refund for this or heard from the clinic [Ctr for Repro Med of MN] about a refund.... Sue was great- explained everything in great detail, kept me informed about my lab work and my progress
How was your experience with Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
He did not seem to be aware of what was happening with my care. He couldn’t recognize me and didn’t know my name. He always had his nurse contact me, except once— Dr. Damario called me after my first BHCG to tell me I was pregnant and had “an honest to goodness good pregnancy level.” But two days later, when my BHCG dropped, Dr. Damario had one of the nurses contact me to tell me I was going to miscarry. Dr. Damario miscounted my follicles during my baseline ultrasound. During my ultrasound after miscarriage diagnosis, Dr. Damario looked around for about 3 minutes before confirming miscarriage will be happening and giving me my options to proceed with the miscarriage. He diagnosed me with a “blighted ovum” at 6.5wks, which I have read should never be diagnosed before wk 9. I also had a visible yolk sac, which I also understand does not meet the definition for blighted ovum. Here I am at 9.6wks and still have not miscarried (will likely still miscarry), but have chosen to follow up with further ultrasounds at a different clinic with a new provider.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Do your research about your own situation and possible IVF protocols before meeting with Dr. Damario so you are prepared to ask specific questions & get the answers you need.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I met with Dr. Damario for an initial consultation and then once more two weeks prior to Stimulation start for a baseline ultrasound and trial transfer. During the entire course of IVF treatment, egg retrieval, and transfer I did not see or hear from Dr. Damario at all. His nurses were always the ones in contact with me about my progress and with orders for stimulation dosage changes. Dr. Damario would not have been to recognize me in the waiting room or recall my name at any point, even once completed with treatment.
Describe the protocols Mark Damario used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
- Birthcontrol for downregulation 6 weeks prior to treatment start - Lupron 20IU for further downregulation for 10 days - Lupron decreased to 5IU from day 3-5 of stimulation, then stopped -Stimulation Start: Menopur 150IU morning & Follistim 150IU for 14 days (Follistim bumped up to 300IU after day 3 d/t slow ovarian response/possible over sensitivity to Lupron) - Trigger Shot: 10,000IU Novarel (HCG) injection 36 hours before transfer * my body was downregulated significantly prior to treatment start, which required doubling the dose of the follistim and added an extra 2-4 days of stimulation before trigger shot. I also had two lead follicles and was told of a potential risk for cycle cancelation * I had 16 follicles, but only 14 eggs retrieved. 8 eggs were mature and all 8 fertilized with ICSI. No embryos made to blastocyst stage. * we transferred a morula and 8-cell embryo on day 5. All other embryos stopped developing by day 6 and we did not have any leftover to freeze.
Sue was great- explained everything in great detail, kept me informed about my lab work and my progress, described ultrasounds while doing them, remembered my name and things about me. Julie- great, very kind and personable; remembered my name and things about me. There were other nurses that didn’t even introduce themselves or attempt to build any rapport during the appt at all, were very blunt and jumped to worst case scenario. I don’t know their names because they never said their name.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths: - front desk staff friendly and personable - a few nurses were friendly and personable - most of lab staff was nice and efficient (aside from one lab person) Weaknesses: - a few bad nurses that make you feel like a number - care team didn’t seem to take time to understand our situation - we were not given any possible explanation for the underdevelopment of all of our embryos - our miscarriage was diagnosed immediately, and with 100% certainty before taking additional bloodwork or ultrasound to confirm— this seemed very insensitive, considering our entire process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
IVF retrieval/transfer/ICSI- $11,800 Medication- $7000 Monitoring/bloodwork: $2800 Prescreening: $800
Describe Mark Damario's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Dr. Colleen Casey did the embryo transfer. She recommended transferring only 1 embryo because the next most developed one was only 8 cells. She told us transferring two could be harmful to the morula which was further developed. We told her we wanted to transfer two anyway and asked for more information on how it could be harmful and she then said that it probably wouldn’t be harmful, but it just wouldn’t be likely to implant. We transferred two and all remaining embryos arrested the next day.
We pre-paid $1200 for cryopreservation of embryos. More than 6 wks after all of our embryos stopped developing and it was confirmed we did not have any left for cryopreservation, we had still not received a refund for this or heard from the clinic about a refund. We finally had to reach out to them to initiate the refund process. 2 wks after we reached out, and we have yet to receive our refund (8 weeks after it was confirmed there would be no cryopreservation).
St. Paul

I only saw Dr. Lebovic once during my whole time at CRM and that was the initial appointment -which felt very rushed and rehearsed/scripted/same things told to everyone. I saw different doctors for each procedure but I never had him for anything even though he was my "doctor."...He is very blunt and to the point with questions and concerns...Kind of a move em in-ship 'em out feeling.
I wish that I didn't have to leave a message every time I had a question and *hope* for a call back the same day [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]. Most of the time it was the next day and I never got the same person. I know some are assigned one, they can email questions, etc at other clinics...I know that CRM is a busy clinic but I never felt like I talked to the same person hardly ever. I never got to know any of the doctors or nurses as I talked to/saw someone different every time. Kind of a move em in-ship 'em out feeling.
He is very blunt and to the point with questions and concerns.
All of the nurses that I talked to worked with were nice, I just wish I was assigned one vs speaking with multiple nurses about everything. I never got the same one.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I think the hard thing going into IVF is your expectations vs what happens. I have a couple friends who went through IVF and then just being in IVF groups you see how other clinics do things. I wish that I didn't have to leave a message every time I had a question and *hope* for a call back the same day. Most of the time it was the next day and I never got the same person. I know some are assigned one, they can email questions, etc at other clinics.
I believe I paid around 21,000 when all was said and done.
We were told we could only transfer one the entire time we were going through our process and then on transfer day they said we could do two if we wanted.
Just wish there was more open communication with nurses/doctors, etc at this clinic. I also wish I had more compassion from them when I had my miscarriage. You spend $$$$ and then to go through a miscarriage and be brushed off is hard and it hurts. I felt like they wanted to rush into my next transfer right away.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Damario] never seemed to study up on the current cycle's prior visits and it felt like we were telling him what happened...always seemed wishy washy and not assertive enough with his opinion and assessment of the cycle status. I would have preferred someone who was more confident. He also never followed up with me after the 2 miscarriages...The nurses showed more compassion following our miscarriages than the dr. did.
Strength [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] - allowing you to do monitoring in St Paul or Minneapolis. Weaknesses - (1) not always giving more than 24 hours notice for the amount you have to prepay per visit, if you don't have insurance. (2) No communication from management to clinic finance person that their contract with health insurance provider was updated and patient wasn't supposed to prepay anything
Dr Demario always seemed wishy washy and not assertive enough with his opinion and assessment of the cycle status. I would have preferred someone who was more confident. He also never followed up with me after the 2 miscarriages.
Ask lots of questions if you don't understand something.
He never seemed to study up on the current cycle's prior visits and it felt like we were telling him what happened.
2016 we had 3 iui's with follistim, femara, and ovidrel to trigger. 2017 we had 2 ivf cycles (stims, retrieval, icsi, embryo transfer. First round was birth control for initial suppression, then follistim, menopur, endometrin, minivelle patches, hcg injection for trigger. Second round was the same except for increased follistim, coQ10 supplement, and I think we added in microdose Lupron. In 2018 we had 1 FET with the 2 remaining embryos from 2017 round 2, with birth control for initial suppression, estradiol tablets, and PIO injections.
The nurses showed more compassion following our miscarriages than the dr. did. They were also always willing to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strength - allowing you to do monitoring in St Paul or Minneapolis. Weaknesses - (1) not always giving more than 24 hours notice for the amount you have to prepay per visit, if you don't have insurance. (2) No communication from management to clinic finance person that their contract with health insurance provider was updated and patient wasn't supposed to prepay anything
I believe our reimbursement for the ART side of the first cycle was $9870. That does not include any bloodwork, monitoring appointments, or medication. The reimbursement we got the 2nd time was slightly higher due to needing embryo cryopreservation.
We only ever got grade 3 embryos. When we arrived at our FET in January 2018 he encouraged us to consider transferring 2 which would increase the chance of 1 sticking.
We were thankful to have insurance coverage and the way our first cycle went is we prepaid everything to the clinic and then submitted to insurance for reimbursement later. That in itself is a whole different story. We did the same prepay/request reimbursement the 2nd time and we found out after the fact that a contract was agreed to and nobody informed my clinic and the insurance company thought i was going to send all of the money back to them that they had reimbursed me for. They wanted to do it that way and re-process all of the claims through insurance first. It was a major nightmare.
St. Paul

My experiences with Dr. Hopeman have been largely positive. As a scientist myself, I appreciate receiving highly detailed information on my labwork, diagnosis, treatment, etc. Dr. Hopeman has been willing to provide these detailed explanations in a compassionate way. She has been available to speak by phone or meet in person as needed. In the course of a regular IUI cycle, however, I do not see her. I do, however, feel that Dr. Hopeman pushes IVF somewhat.
I think this clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine of MN] is geared towards IVF patients, and, as someone undergoing IUI cycles, I felt a bit of a second-class citizen. The clinic set up did not enable me to feel that I was receiving personalized care.... Each nurse I interacted with seemed competent and friendly, but over the course of nine visits, I believe I met with eight different nurses. The lack of continuity was a huge problem for me, and made me feel a bit like part of an assembly line. I felt that because the nurses didn't know me and my medical situation personally their clinical judgments were based on their experiences overall, and were not tailored to my situation.
Be very clear with her about what your boundaries are in terms of types of treatments you are willing to consider, and tell her what level of detail you would like in terms of scientific information about diagnosis, testing, and treatment.
Dr. Hopeman is very caring and treats me like a person, but I generally only see nurses when I go in for monitoring and IUIs. Over nine visits I saw seven or eight different nurses. The lack of continuity in nursing care made me feel like a number in many of my daily interactions at the clinic.
My first two cycles with Dr. Hopeman I had baseline ultrasound monitoring on cycle day 3, took letrozole (10mg) from cycle day 3 - 7, went in on cycle day 11 for a monitoring ultrasound, triggered that night (ovidrel) for IUI the morning of cycle day 13. I used progesterone suppositories during the luteal phase. My next cycle I will have estradiol measured on day 3, try clomid instead of letrozole, wait until cycle 12 for monitoring, and double the dose of ovidrel for triggering. The morning of the IUI and the following morning I will have progesterone measured to check the timing of ovulation, and I will again take progesterone suppositories during the luteal phase.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I think this clinic is geared towards IVF patients, and, as someone undergoing IUI cycles, I felt a bit of a second-class citizen. The clinic set up did not enable me to feel that I was receiving personalized care. I do however think that the treatment provided is high quality and the facilities are fantastic.
An IUI cycle cost approximately $1,500 (including drugs), without insurance coverage.
Describe Meg Hopeman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
No comments.
With one of my cycles I had a cyst, and I received conflicting information from a nurse and from my doctor about risks vs. benefits of proceeding with the cycle. At the point of triggering for that cycle, it was also unclear if the larger follicle was the cyst or a new follicle, and again I received conflicting information on this. I also requested specific bloodwork that was not performed and I had to request it a second time.
Minneapolis

Dr. Damario tried the "usual" protocols with us for our 3 IUIs. We used a frozen sperm sample for one IUI and had a nurse tell me that the sperm count was fairly low, minutes before the IUI rather than actually calling on the day the sample was given.... After 2 failed IUIs, I requested additional testing, which he relented to. These tests gave us some clues regarding our challenges but Dr. Damario was not great at explaining the significance of our results
The billing office [Ctr for Repro Med of MN] wouldn't give us an outright refund for services we paid for OOP after we learned that some of the procedures were covered by our insurance....To change doctors at this clinic, you literally have to discuss the change with the CEO. The CEO told me that she was really surprised at my requested change and made me feel like I had done something wrong... nurses couldn't answer a simple question like "on average, what % of sperm don't make it through the freeze-thaw cycle."
Dr. Damario started us with the "typical" IUI protocol given our diagnosis of unexplained infertility. After 2 failed IUIs, I requested additional testing, which he relented to. These tests gave us some clues regarding our challenges but Dr. Damario was not great at explaining the significance of our results. We wound up googling for information. We also then found out that there are a number of lifestyle issues that can impact sperm quality, which Dr. Damario never once mentioned. The lack of information was highly disappointing and left us feeling like we had spent thousands of dollars without learning very much. I would not recommend his practice for anyone who wants a proactive, communicative physician.
You have to be your own advocate and invest in a lot of research on your own. He will not push you or advocate for aggressive treatment.
Dr. Damario tried the "usual" protocols with us for our 3 IUIs. We used a frozen sperm sample for one IUI and had a nurse tell me that the sperm count was fairly low, minutes before the IUI rather than actually calling on the day the sample was given. This is one example of several times when the clinic didn't seem to have any sense of urgency or be very proactive about helping my husband and I navigate infertility. It was highly disappointing.
1st IUI: 50 mg Clomid on CD 5-9 with ovidrel trigger; 2nd IUI: 100 mg Letrozole CD 4-8 - ovulated early and cancelled cycle; 3rd IUI: 100 mg Letrozole with frozen sperm sample with very low count and ovidrel trigger; 4th IUI: 100 mg Letrozole with fresh sperm sample with normal count with ovidrel trigger; all cycles were BFN.
Sue was great; most of the other nurses at the St Paul location were not great at communicating. Many couldn't explain the rationale behind changes in protocol; also, nurses couldn't answer a simple question like "on average, what % of sperm don't make it through the freeze-thaw cycle."
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Clinic was located convenient to my home, which is why I initially chose them. Their appointments are generally on time. The billing office wouldn't give us an outright refund for services we paid for OOP after we learned that some of the procedures were covered by our insurance. Instead, they issued a credit and many months later, I still have never received an account balance. To change doctors at this clinic, you literally have to discuss the change with the CEO. The CEO told me that she was really surprised at my requested change and made me feel like I had done something wrong in requesting a change of doctor rather than truly trying to understand how the clinic might improve. It was disappointing.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
The course of treatment was cookie cutter and didn't change. ... She [Dr. Casey] was a nice doctor though but the care wasn't tailored to my wife and only changed after we pressed for alternatives and went through a mock cycle. ... It was the same each time. The pill for a time, then lupron shots, estrace, progesterone. ... Do not use this doctor and clinic [CCRM - Minnesota] if you are having a lot of difficulty getting pregnant.
They [nurses] never knew information on my wife upfront and would routinely make sloppy mistakes by giving her standard guidance. ... After the mock cycle she was found to be post receptive but they [nurses] almost messed up our last cycle had my wife not pressed and questioned the professional nurses [CRM - Minnesota] and questioned what they were saying to do. It is shocking.
The course of treatment was cookie cutter and didn't change. It seemed to be the same for everyone everytime. She was a nice doctor though but the care wasn't tailored to my wife and only changed after we pressed for alternatives and went through a mock cycle. This place seems more like a farm running everyone through one protocol.
Do not use this doctor and clinic if you are having a lot of difficulty getting pregnant.
Even though we went through many cycles with them, the staff regularly didn't know what we had done before. We even did a mock trial and the results were post receptive and while doing our last donor cycle after the mock, they were still giving us bad information by not recognizing the treatment should change. My wife even questioned it, they said no this is fine and then realized their huge mistake and changed the medicine. This type of behavior was present during our time here. Not that example but they would often give us the same old methods, treatment, and information time after time. It is difficult because you are in a vulnerable situation and dependant on their expert advice.
They never knew information on my wife upfront and would routinely make sloppy mistakes by giving her standard guidance. They must have one track protocol and it is hard for them to know if that changes. They didn't seem to know if we were doing ours or fresh or frozen or donor.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Everything can be different for different people so if you do go here, also go to Colorado clinic in Edina. You have to talk to more than one place. We were naive and thought we went to the best. You have to talk to different doctors and different places. I would recommend they ask what happens when it doesn't work. Did the process change. Is it tailored to the patient or do they follow a method they like. Why? Because it works best? That may be fine but it is good to know that it isn't guaranteed. I thought you could assure yourself a baby with one of these processes.
25k for egg cycles and 5k due each frozen transfer
The first fresh donor transfer after a failed fresh homegrown transfer was where we had a surprise. We had told them over and over we were going to do 2 embryos. We had tried on our own for so long we wanted to do whatever it took to get one or two babies. Minutes before the transfer of the fresh donor eggs, the doctor said it was so good that we should just do one. My wife had to make her decision they're on the spot and was gently pressured to just do one. It was our choice but the were insistant that it was so good and this was very likely to work. It was a unesseccary to do two because we would end up with two babies and the complication of that.
They do the same thing over and over. They find it hard to know our do something different. After the mock cycle she was found to be post receptive but they almost messed up our last cycle had my wife not pressed and questioned the professional nurses and questioned what they were saying to do. It is shocking.
Minneapolis
You will really like her [Dr. Meg Hopeman] she’s very kind caring person...I feel she has a fresh brain since she’s new to the clinic. I do wish that I’d had more communication with her. It was a lot more communicating with the nurses instead of the actual provider. I think she’s a very very down to earth provider and makes a good connection with each patient.
Some of the staff that were nurses [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] were really good. Others weren’t very kind at all didn’t really pay attention to your chart had wrong cycle dates and lacks compassion...the first IUI Didn’t work because ovulation was missed but yet we still proceeded with going through with inseminating...You’d have to constantly leave messages you would never be able to speak to somebody live.
I feel she was a good provider. I feel she has a fresh brain since she’s new to the clinic. I do wish that I’d had more communication with her. It was a lot more communicating with the nurses instead of the actual provider. I think she’s a very very down to earth provider and makes a good connection with each patient.
You will really like her she’s very kind caring person.
Some of the staff that were nurses were really good. Others weren’t very kind at all didn’t really pay attention to your chart had wrong cycle dates and lacks compassion
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I feel it’s a friendly clinic. I just feel trying to get a hold of people like the nursing staff is very very hard to do you always have to leave messages.I feel the front desk girls are really nice and they were amazing at scheduling appointments. I feel that you should be able to pick what days appointments work best for you during your work schedule especially if it falls on a weekend they don’t always like you doing
I feel that it’s pretty expensive to be able to see them. You have to take out loans in order to proceed with IVF Because most insurances won’t cover things you have to have a financial plan and it’s expensive to receive help in order to get pregnant
When I first started my process. They had the wrong cycle day. So they didn’t have the correct data needed for proper documentation on where I was that in my cycle. Which caused me to miss ovulation so the first IUI Didn’t work because ovulation was missed but yet we still proceeded with going through with inseminating. The nursing staff wasn’t very friendly. You’d have to constantly leave messages you would never be able to speak to somebody live.
Minneapolis
CRM is a very big and busy clinic, with many staff members. I had contact with many nurses during my treatment, and it was rare for any of them to really know the details of my case. There were several times (typically during phone calls) when I could tell that the nurses hadn't adequately reviewed my chart before calling.... It is very easy to feel like you are just an anonymous number, which we really didn't like. Having said that, it is generally easy to schedule appointments, it is easy to get through to the front desk staff, and the nurses generally call back in a timely manner.
Dr. Casey has a very matter-of-fact style of interaction. We had some pretty big losses during our treatment, and while she expressed sympathy, she was quite blunt. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with this--it just isn't our style and we would have preferred a little more compassion/empathy. Dr. Casey presented information about our options in an easy-to-understand format and we felt well-informed regarding the process. However, we felt like we were lead to believe that our chances of success were quite a bit higher than they actually were. We don't feel that Dr. Casey was realistic with us about our chances. Additionally, I was triggered on day 7 for two IVF egg retrievals (with egg retrieval on day 9). We were never told that triggering this early is very risky in regards to the chances of getting euploid embryos. Had we known the risks, we would not have decided to move forward with egg retrieval either time. We did really appreciate that Dr. Casey called us personally to report on PGS results, and she gave us her phone number to contact her if needed (without going through the phone triage system). We felt like we had access to her if we had any further questions.
I would recommend asking for very specific information regarding realistic chances of success, particularly for patients who are going into IVF with a lower chance of success (low ovarian reserve, low AMH, low AFC, history of a short follicular phase).
CRM is a very big and busy clinic, with many staff members. I had contact with many nurses during my treatment, and it was rare for any of them to really know the details of my case. There were several times (typically during phone calls) when I could tell that the nurses hadn't adequately reviewed my chart before calling. Having said that, there were a couple nurses who were better than the others, and who clearly tried their best to compassionately treat my husband and I as individuals going through a very difficult process.
For IUI, we used Follistim for about 5 days, triggered on day 8, had IUI on day 10, and became pregnant, but miscarried around 9 weeks. Our first IVF protocol was with Follistim (starting dose 225) and Menopur (1 vial per day), with Ganirelix. We triggered with Pregnyl on day 7 and had egg retrieval on day 9. 6 eggs retrieved/6 mature/5 fertilized with ICSI/1 blast (PGS abnormal). Our second IVF protocol was with Follistim (starting dose 275, I think), Menopur (2 vials per day), and microlupron (started 2 days prior to Follistim/Menopur). We triggered with Pregnyl on day 7 and had egg retrieval on day 9. 7 eggs retrieved/5 mature/4 fertilized with ICSI/2 blasts (both PGS abnormal).
The nurses at CRM were such a mixed bag. We had a few nurses who were so kind and compassionate and friendly and helpful. On the other hand, there are a few others who were unnecessarily blunt, unhelpful, and talked down to me (as if I knew nothing about my own body or what I'd already been through). It would have been very, very helpful if I'd had a primary nurse (or two) assigned to my care. It was really difficult to be working with a different nurse every day.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Again, this is a big clinic with a large number of patients. It is very easy to feel like you are just an anonymous number, which we really didn't like. Having said that, it is generally easy to schedule appointments, it is easy to get through to the front desk staff, and the nurses generally call back in a timely manner.
We paid about $12,000 per IVF cycle (plus the cost of PGS testing, which was about $3000).
Dr. Casey's approach was to do eSET with a PGS-tested euploid embryo. We were very much in favor of using this approach. Unfortunately, we never made any PGS normal embryos to transfer.
No comment.
Minneapolis

We didn't feel like we had any understanding of our treatment or what they could do for us to help us start a family. He [Dr. Mark Damario] basically read back our questionnaire when we met with him and kept reading and showing us statistics. The statistics were not encouraging at all. We were mostly confused and didn't have any idea what the plan was. He didn't explain chromosomal/genetic testing with us very well, even though I'm over 35 years old. He was big into selling us on buying multiple IVF sessions, but didn't really give us a reason why we would need to do IVF multiple times.
This clinic [Center for Reproductive Med of MN] had a long waiting period to see a doctor (months). When I had a fail IUI the nurse asked me what I wanted to do next, my answer I don't know, what are my options (cause I honestly didn't know) I said IVF? The nurse goes you need to make an appt with the doctor to discuss that and he is book for weeks. Found that very frustrating to not be able to see a patient in a timely matter especially when everything with this is timely.
We didn't feel like we had any understanding of our treatment or what they could do for us to help us start a family. He basically read back our questionnaire when we met with him and kept reading and showing us statistics. The statistics were not encouraging at all. We were mostly confused and didn't have any idea what the plan was. He didn't explain chromosomal/genetic testing with us very well, even though I'm over 35 years old. He was big into selling us on buying multiple IVF sessions, but didn't really give us a reason why we would need to do IVF multiple times.
For us, it was a blessing that our insurance had us switch clinics. This clinic was not the place for us. We do have friends that liked this clinic and Dr Darmario and had success here.
I felt like we had no direction in where to go with our treatments. We filled out a questionnaire and basically when we met with Dr. Damario he just read it back to us. My husband and I walked out of the clinic wondering if we should even continue. This clinic is where our insurance sent us first. Thankfully before we go fully into our treatment we were able to switch clinic and doctor. This was a night and day difference for us.
We did IUI because I had unexplained infertility and felt like it would work for us. Really with my age, we should of went straight to IVF and skipped IUI. Now it's clear to me why I was a great candidate for IVF, and not IUI. But this wasn't explained to me at this clinic.
The nursing staff was nice. When I was at this clinic they didn't have an online portal where you could easily ask questions. I found that very frustrating and a little old school to not be able to email a nurse with a simple question.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This clinic had a long waiting period to see a doctor (months). When I had a fail IUI the nurse asked me what I wanted to do next, my answer I don't know, what are my options (cause I honestly didn't know) I said IVF? The nurse goes you need to make an appt with the doctor to discuss that and he is book for weeks. Found that very frustrating to not be able to see a patient in a timely matter especially when everything with this is timely.
We did not do IVF with this clinic.
I had a hard time in the beginning getting my medication ordered. My insurance was telling me one pharmacy to use and the clinic was telling me another. Once I took control of double checking on my medication orders, this became much better.

2017, Unknown Success
We received poor communication [from Dr. Dan Lebovic] regarding the treatment plan as well as diagnoses. Although compassionate in the first and only meeting, I do not feel that he is even directing my care due to the nurses making the care plan after a follow up and then checking with Dr. Lebovic later...A change in my care plan was presented to me at check-in by being asked to pay for an IUI up front, when IUI had never been discussed. It was later told to me by the nurse that Dr. Lebovic had charted this was the next step. This was not communicated to my husband or I prior to the appointment and obviously not by Dr. Lebovic. I requested a call from Dr. Lebovic and never did receive an apology.
[At Center for Reproductive Medicine] A recommended change in care plan was not communicated to me by the doctor but rather by requesting me to pay my out of pocket portion of the next procedure that had never been talked about. I was not taught how to administer my ovidrel. They sent my prescription to an incorrect pharmacy...They put the incorrect appointment time for my husbands sample and my IUI, even though they had written the agreed upon time on my take home sheet. They are often behind schedule 15 minutes to 30 minutes.
We received poor communication regarding the treatment plan as well as diagnoses. Although compassionate in the first and only meeting, I do not feel that he is even directing my care due to the nurses making the care plan after a follow up and then checking with Dr. Lebovic later.
Inquire at your initial meeting regarding his communication regarding the treatment plan as well as his direct incolvement with follow up appointments.
I have no clue if a specific protocol is being used. Our first cycle with Dr. Lebovic was 7.5 mg of Femara days 3-5. Ultrasound CD 2 and 10. Ovidrel shot on CD 11. Our second cycle was the same dosage of Femara then I was prescribed Follistim CD 7-9 with an ultrasound on CD 10. I was told to wait to trigger until CD 12, timed intercourse on CD 12 and IUI on CD 14. We are in the middle of our third cycle. Same plan as cycle 2 except when I went for my ultrasound on CD10 they wanted me to continue Follistim through CD 13 and I go back on CD14 for another ultrasound.
Poor customer service. Nobody introduces themselves nor do they answer the phone with their names. I'm constantly asking for more information regarding how other patients approach obtaining out of pocket medicines, prescriptions are sent to the wrong pharmacy, the nurse line is never answered which leads to leaving a voicemail which they do not listen to carefully and call back to "clarify" information that was left in the voicemail.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Customer service is a weakness. They do not answer phone with identifying themselves. They put the incorrect appointment time for my husbands sample and my IUI, even though they had written the agreed upon time on my take home sheet. They are often behind schedule 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I'm struggling to find a strength...they are open half days on weekends.
IUI - $284 Density Gradient- $388.70

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Campbell] was friendly and had good bedside manner. We trusted him as a doctor....until we had two back to back transfer failures of PGS normal embryos and he didn't want to make any changes to our protocol. Just wanted to keep doing the same thing. I was the one who had to do all the research on things to try and bring ideas to him, most of which he shot down and seemed unwilling to do...
The only strength [of the nurses at Ctr for Repro Med - Minnie] I can think of is timely responses to messages/voice mails, and a few of them showed compassion and caring. Most of them seemed to just want to get your visit/phone call/etc. over with so that they could get to the next person...This clinic puts everyone on birth control pills for both retrieval and transfers, in order to control your body to fit their schedule. For me, and for many other women, birth control pills wreak havoc on our emotional well being. So you will be an emotional mess while you wait two months on your birth control pills so you can fit into their schedule...
How was your experience with Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
He was friendly and had good bedside manner. We trusted him as a doctor....until we had two back to back transfer failures of PGS normal embryos and he didn't want to make any changes to our protocol. Just wanted to keep doing the same thing. I was the one who had to do all the research on things to try and bring ideas to him, most of which he shot down and seemed unwilling to do.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
This clinic and doctor are very standardized - they put every patient on the same protocol and rarely change it, even if it's not working. If that's the situation you want to be in, by all means go to this clinic and doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Long wait times to get on their schedule for retrieval, transfer, etc. They obviously had a much bigger patient load then can appropriately carry. Not a single person there from receptionists, doctors, and nurses ever remembered your name, despite going there nearly daily at some points in the retrieval cycle. Not a single person ever asked me how I was doing with everything and their attitude was generally get em in and get em out.
Describe the protocols Bruce Campbell used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
For egg retrieval: priming with birth control pills, then lupron, then stim with menopur and gonal f. No cetrotide/ganirelix. HCG trigger. For frozen transfer: birth control pills, then lupron, then prepare with estrace pills (worked up to 2mg three times a day), PIO injections after lining check. Baby aspirin.
The only strength I can think of is timely responses to messages/voice mails, and a few of them showed compassion and caring. Most of them seemed to just want to get your visit/phone call/etc. over with so that they could get to the next person.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
28k not including meds.
- I had issues with thin lining for transfer which I did not believe they handled well. They round up their lining measurements (i.e., I was a 6.6 and they called it a 7 and had us move forward). When my lining never got past a 7 the second transfer they offered no other explanation or plan b. - They did not tell us ahead of time about their planned closure of their embryology lab which delayed our transfer. I work in a highly regulated industry and I completely understand the need to maintain quality in a laboratory environment but they did not do a good job of informing us. -Every time we wanted to move on to a next step (scheduling transfers, for example) it was up to a week of waiting for a nurse to call back, and when they did, their next available date was months in the future. They don't work with your cycle they work with their schedule.
Minneapolis

CRM is the busiest fertility clinic in Minneapolis with a high patient volume. Despite the countless office visits and appointments, it still felt as though I was a stranger to the staff...My results were never communicated to me. I had to call and ask to get my FSH, AMH, LSH, Prolactin, and Estradiol levels. I also was never told what my lining measurement was after my first retrieval. After I began reading chat boards online, I soon realized that these should be common knowledge to the patient...The nurses were great. They were always available to answer questions. I rarely saw the same nurse twice, so I never felt like any of them really knew me. But one nurse in particular (Theresa) was amazing. I was fortunate enough to have her 2 or 3 times. She was so caring and supportive. She listened to my concerns, and really helped ease any worries or fears I may have had.
Dr. Kuneck is very intelligent and was thorough when we actually saw him. However, that was not often. We mostly communicated with the nurses and other staff. Our only embryo transfer (which failed) was not performed by him, but rather a doctor I had never even met. My egg retrieval also was performed by another doctor in the clinic. The lack of presence was something I did not anticipate when we initially chose him as our RE. I had hoped for a doctor who was more hands on and who was more directly involved with us throughout the entire process.
How was your experience with Paul Kuneck at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Kuneck at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
You really need to be our own advocate. Do your research and question any and everything you are doubting or concerned about.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Kuneck at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Describe the protocols Paul Kuneck used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
For my retrieval, I initially was put on BCPs for 2-3 weeks, then lupron for 10 days, menopur, and Gonal F. This seems to be their go-to protocol. Fortunately, I responded well to the meds and didn't need any tweaking. They retrieved 19 eggs, 12 mature. For my FET cycle, again did BCPs for over a month. Once stopped, started lupron, then added estrace orally 3 times a day. Also 1 low dose aspirin. I started Progesterone in oil 5 days before transfer. This time I didn't respond well to the protocol, as my lining wasn't getting thick enough. I only measured 6.1 mm on day 14, so my transfer date was pushed out a week. They increased my estrace to 3 2mg tablets orally and 1 vaginally at night. On day 21, I measured 7.6 mm which they seemed to be satisfied with. I was very concerned that my lining wasn't thick enough, and suggested that maybe we cancel. We only had one embryo, so I wanted every precaution to be taken. I was told not to worry, that my lining was just fine. We went ahead and transferred our only beautiful, hatching embie, which resulted in a negative pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I think this clinic is best for those who are the typical infertility case. Those who require a different and more customized approach, would do better elsewhere.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paul Kuneck at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
We did 1 cycle of IVF with ICSI, 1 MicroTESE surgery and 1TESE surgery for my husband, egg freezing, embryo freezing, and 1 Frozen Embryo Transfer. Total our costs were upward of $30,000.
Paul Kuneck

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I felt like a number at CRM. During my 3 IUI cycles and my IVF cycle I never saw my doctor [Dr. Lisa Erickson] one time. I had an issue with Lupron, and with that was able to speak with my Dr. on the phone. At one point during my IVF cycle monitoring a polyp was found on my cervix. This was very scary as I didn't want my cycle to be canceled. After my appointment I was leaving the exam room and heard a nurse say 'ya you can just throw that cervical polyp chart over there'.
After my appointment I was leaving the exam room and heard a nurse [at CRM] say 'ya you can just throw that cervical polyp chart over there'. This made me feel even more like a number, like I wasn't being treated with any type of customization and that they honestly didn't care if I got pregnant or not. I ended up getting pregnant, which of course I can't complain about, but I wouldn't choose this clinic again.
How was your experience with Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr. Erickson was compassionate and friendly, but I never saw her besides during our initial consult so I don't feel like I can evaluate her. But since I have to use 200 characters I will say, that if a clinic is so busy, that their doctors don't even see a patient through their treatment, then they should take on less patients. Why even have a doctor?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
See your patients during their cycles so they feel confident. My doctor is now retired so it doesn't really matter, but I'm sure CRM still operates like this.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I felt like a number at CRM. During my 3 IUI cycles and my IVF cycle I never saw my doctor one time. I had an issue with Lupron, and with that was able to speak with my Dr. on the phone. At one point during my IVF cycle monitoring a polyp was found on my cervix. This was very scary as I didn't want my cycle to be canceled. After my appointment I was leaving the exam room and heard a nurse say 'ya you can just throw that cervical polyp chart over there'. This made me feel even more like a number, like I wasn't being treated with any type of customization and that they honestly didn't care if I got pregnant or not. I ended up getting pregnant, which of course I can't complain about, but I wouldn't choose this clinic again.
Describe the protocols Lisa Erickson used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
During my 3 IUI cycles I too femara to stimulate follicle growth. During my last cycle I had NINE measurable follicles (it still didn't work). During my IVF cycle I was on follistim, menepur and lupron. I only produced 7 follicles. It seems like if I was able to produce so many by just taking a pill, that I should have produced a lot more by the invasive injectables. My Dr. and I weren't on the same page as far as a goal for eggs. Again, we're thankful it worked, but have no eggs frozen which means another round of IVF.
I had a different nurse at each visit, so no primary. Also as I mentioned previously from the comments I overheard from a nurse, it's obvious they treat their patients as numbers and not real people.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
CRM has a high success rate, which is the whole point of fertility treatment so that's great. Patients are treated like numbers so if you're someone who needs compassion and to build a relationship with your doctor, this isn't the place for you. Nurses show no compassion and cycle you in and out quickly. I don't feel like treatment is customized.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
We purchased the attine program for about $22,000
Describe Lisa Erickson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
We transfered one embroy which is all we had.
Lisa Erickson

2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Malo is really a great provider. He was on his way to retirement when we saw him; so I think if we caught him sooner-we may have had better luck with our cycle. He did care for us, but I think we could have had a few more tests done to make our IVF cycle better.... took lupron, menopur, follistim & doxycycline as I recall, plus a trigger shot. I did need to extend the meds as they did not see enough eggs/eggs not mature enough. Eventually I was given the go ahead for retrieval. Dr. (not Malo, one of his partners) retrieved 14, 11 were mature. We thought this was great! Each day that passed in the lab, our numbers dwindled. We had two day 5 embryos come transfer day. Neither embryo implanted.
Nursing staff [at CRM] were SO COMPASSIONATE. They truly hoped success for us, through & through. We saw many of the nurses throughout our treatment cycle. They worked well together & no matter who we were working with, they had knowledge about our cycle.... The clinic environment was very nice & welcoming. The front desk staff could be a little more friendly. At times I didn't feel comfortable checking in or making future appts because I felt like they didn't really care to help. CRM has a free info session, which was so nice to do, before going to our first real RE appt.
How was your experience with John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Do your research. Be proactive. Be your own advocate!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
We know CRM runs a busy clinic; but it seemed like we were shuffled through like a herd every visit. We didn't like that Dr. Malo was not involved in our transfer/retrieval. There was no consistency.
Describe the protocols John Malo used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
Dr. Malo had reason to believe his routine/common IVF protocol would work for us, with ICSI. I took lupron, menopur, follistim & doxycycline as I recall, plus a trigger shot. I did need to extend the meds as they did not see enough eggs/eggs not mature enough. Eventually I was given the go ahead for retrieval. Dr. (not Malo, one of his partners) retrieved 14, 11 were mature. We thought this was great! Each day that passed in the lab, our numbers dwindled. We had two day 5 embryos come transfer day. Neither embryo implanted.
Nursing staff were SO COMPASSIONATE. They truly hoped success for us, through & through. We saw many of the nurses throughout our treatment cycle. They worked well together & no matter who we were working with, they had knowledge about our cycle.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
All in all for Dr. Malo, about $13,000.00 For meds, about $2,000
Describe John Malo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
From our experience CRM was open to what we felt comfortable with.
Dr. Malo should have done more testing on my thyroid. I truly believe if we looked at this aspect more in depth, we may have had better end results.
John Malo
2015, Unsuccessful
She [Dr Colleen Casey] was friendly, but basically asked me how I wanted to proceed instead of giving her recommendation. She seemed confident I could conceive without intervention, even after 3 failed medicated cycles. I didn't feel that she had enough time to dedicate to really learning my situation and the treatment plan suffered as a result.
Strengths [of Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] are their availability to see many patients due to their staff. Additionally, they did work out a payment plan with me when treatment expenses exceeded the quote. It's styled to feel more "homey" if that's your thing. Weaknesses include the attitudes of the nursing staff. Additionally, when I had to come in over the weekend for monitoring, one of the other doctors was complaining about how it was his weekend to work and he didn't want to be there. It felt like the clinic was out to make money, not treat infertility.
She was friendly, but basically asked me how I wanted to proceed instead of giving her recommendation. She seemed confident I could conceive without intervention, even after 3 failed medicated cycles. I didn't feel that she had enough time to dedicate to really learning my situation and the treatment plan suffered as a result.
Demand time and specifics. Ask what the plan will be if you don't respond as predicted. Push for diagnostic testing.
I only saw Dr. Casey twice during my 3 cycles of treatment. I had a different nurse every time and I didn't feel that my treatments were personalized. It was get me in and out as quickly as possible to get as many patients seen as possible.
I did two cycles of clomid and timed intercourse and one cycle of femara and timed intercourse. I didn't respond well to the clomid (only one follicle while taking the max dose), but did respond well to femara. I had indicated to her and the nurses that I ovulate late, but they still had me come in as if I was going to ovulate on CD14. This caused me to have to pay for additional ultrasounds which got to be very expensive. None of these cycles resulted in a positive pregnancy test.
Very matter-of-fact and didn't take the time to explain anything to me. When I questioned anything, I felt brushed off and not taken seriously.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths are their availability to see many patients due to their staff. Additionally, they did work out a payment plan with me when treatment expenses exceeded the quote. It's styled to feel more "homey" if that's your thing. Weaknesses include the attitudes of the nursing staff. Additionally, when I had to come in over the weekend for monitoring, one of the other doctors was complaining about how it was his weekend to work and he didn't want to be there. It felt like the clinic was out to make money, not treat infertility.
Each cycle was extended due to my late ovulation which added at least two ultrasounds at ~350/scan. Due to this, we spent almost $5k on three cycles which was well above the estimated costs.
It was very frustrating to learn I had PCOS from my 2nd doctor, who made the diagnosis quickly after viewing my file from CRM. Knowing this, I feel that the protocols Dr. Casey prescribed didn't completely make sense and could have been changed to give us a better chance of success. I didn't always receive timely phone calls from the nurses.
2008 - 2010, Unsuccessful
At one point she [Dr Erickson] was forthright in telling us if we proceed and success is not achieved, it brings their clinical numbers down. That was hurtful, although truthful...it was not my job to care and it stung that she'd even ask us to. Talk about feeling like a number. When the day came for the one egg my body had produced to be attempted to be retrieved, in all our nerves riding on that 50/50 chance she told us we had....she wasn't even there. Without warning she had sent another doctor whom I had never before met. He, not she, was the one in my haze while awaking from anesthesia to tell me we had failed. And inevitably that I would never carry or birth a child. I was crushed on several levels.
[Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]... was the only reproductive endocrinologist clinic I visited so I have nothing to compare it to. It may have been that I was not a quality patient in that my chances were so low from the get go with poor egg quality, but I still would like to think that doctors and nurses do what they do for the people that they can effect. Instead I felt like a disappointment to their "stats" and a number with each visit...loosing hope is devastating and having your "care team" not really care, is beyond words.
Dr. Erickson was lovely, kind, soft spoken. At our first visit I felt hopeful and in good hands. That feeling grew more and more distant with each visit and contact directly with her became almost extinct. Our hopes diminished not due to her efforts but directly related to the results. My egg quality was extremely low. I could feel that she was only proceeding due to my emotional inability to give up. At one point she was forthright in telling us if we proceed and success is not achieved, it brings their clinical numbers down. That was hurtful, although truthful...it was not my job to care and it stung that she'd even ask us to. Talk about feeling like a number. When the day came for the one egg my body had produced to be attempted to be retrieved, in all our nerves riding on that 50/50 chance she told us we had....she wasn't even there. Without warning she had sent another doctor whom I had never before met. He, not she, was the one in my haze while awaking from anesthesia to tell me we had failed. And inevitably that I would never carry or birth a child. I was crushed on several levels.
Ask her not to sugar coat and to BE SURE to inform you that you will not see her often. And ask her to please inform you should a physician other than herself be performing your procedures.
There is very little contact with the doctor who so warmly freets you at the beginning of this "journey". And the nurses are different every time you go in to the office...and their moods very. Tremendously.
Unfortunately in the last 6 years much of this has escaped me, although when going through it all you hang onto every word, learn and know every term, the cost of every drug and the names & numbers of every pharmacy and their prices... I recall Folistim pens...lots of them. I recall vials of Bravelle and then trying Lupron. And somewhere alon the line there was Menapur. It is quite blurry...and thankfully in the rear view mirror.
I wish I remembered their names because a few were fantastic! Warm, friendly and took the time to make you feel like you're a person. Some even like you are a person going through the toughest days of your life thus far-those nurses I wish I could go back and hug. Several were very clearly, busy. Even delivering the news that the one follicle that was there yesterday (yes 1) is suddenly gone and you are to wait weeks and then start all over. With zero emotion because the were busy washing up their hands so they could scurry on to the next patient. No compassion. How do you work here? Perhaps a blood bank would be more fitting for these nurses.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It's one of few and this was the only reproductive endocrinologist clinic I visited so I have nothing to compare it to. It may have been that I was not a quality patient in that my chances were so low from the get go with poor egg quality, but I still would like to think that doctors and nurses do what they do for the people that they can effect. Instead I felt like a disappointment to their "stats" and a number with each visit...loosing hope is devastating and having your "care team" not really care, is beyond words.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It was tough...feeling like a number.
Expensive
The lack of contact was extremely difficult as you are on the edge of your seat daily. Having my doctor send another doctor to our egg retrieval procedure was inaccusable and I will ever forget the feeling I felt that morning when a doctor I had never met walked into the room to perform the most personal and emotional procedure I had had in my life.
Lisa Erickson
Minneapolis

The doctor [Dr. Mark Damario] did not tell me about my PCOS diagnosis, I only learnt of it after my records were transferred to the next physician...I only actually met Dr. Damario one time. He never once called me to provide an update on the cycle. He left everything to the nurses who treated me as any other patient and did not consider my own past experiences when building my protocol...spent the majority of the time speaking to my spouse and talking about how impressed he was with his sperm. He spent the entire meeting writing down the things that we were saying and it did not feel as though he was actually listening to what we wanted. He diagnosed me with PCOS but never actually told me that he had given me that diagnosis, I only found out after my records were transferred to my sub
I did three cycles of IUI using Clomid and injectibles [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]...The doctor [Dr. Mark Damario] did not tell me about my PCOS diagnosis, I only learnt of it after my records were transferred to the next physician...Treat their patients as a number, there is no such thing as an individualized treatment plan at CRM. The nursing staff was kind but they were not very open with communication and only told me things when I would ask...Ask specifically about what diagnosis and treatment plan he is giving you...He diagnosed me with PCOS but never actually told me that he had given me that diagnosis, I only found out after my records were transferred to my subsequent doctor. I would never recommend him to anyone seeking out treatment. As a woman, I felt that he was incredibly incompassionate.
During my one meeting with Dr. Damario he treated me as though I was not even in the room and spent the majority of the time speaking to my spouse and talking about how impressed he was with his sperm. He spent the entire meeting writing down the things that we were saying and it did not feel as though he was actually listening to what we wanted. He diagnosed me with PCOS but never actually told me that he had given me that diagnosis, I only found out after my records were transferred to my subsequent doctor. I would never recommend him to anyone seeking out treatment. As a woman, I felt that he was incredibly incompassionate.
Ask specifically about what diagnosis and treatment plan he is giving you.
Throughout my time being treated at Center for Reproductive medicine I only actually met Dr. Damario one time. He never once called me to provide an update on the cycle. He left everything to the nurses who treated me as any other patient and did not consider my own past experiences when building my protocol.
I did three cycles of IUI using Clomid and injectibles.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The doctor did not tell me about my PCOS diagnosis, I only learnt of it after my records were transferred to the next physician.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Some of the nurses were very nice, a couple were not. The clinic is a well oiled machine, I'll give them that...Dr. Campbell seems very old school. He likes to use the standard protocols, instead of adjusting them to your case. If you are a cookie cutter fertility patient he'd be just fine for you. However if you are a more complex case, I would look elsewhere...After multiple iuis and 4 fresh IVF cycles, if I passed him on the street he probably wouldn't even recognize me, definitely wouldn't know my name. Never even called after our 4th failed IVF and 2nd miscarriage.
Do your research, have multiple consults with different RE's at any of the MN clinics. Make sure you can easily say you think Dr. Campbell will be the best fit for you.
#1 Long Lupron - BFN. #2 Antagonist -BFN Microdose Lupron Flare - Chemical. #4 - started off as an iui with injectables, we made the call to switch it to an IVF. Best production we had as I was not on bcps for priming, which was used every other cycle at Dr. Campbell's insistence. This cycle resulted in a blighted ovum.
It was a well oiled machine, however sometime you did have a pretty long wait, but not too many times.
Like stated before, protocol choice was our biggest problem with this clinic, the Dr. not really listening to our suggestions etc.

2015, Successful
I saw him [Dr Campbell] for three appointments. The initial consultation and two ultrasound ch do ups on baby's heartbeat. I felt like a number and while I enjoyed meeting with him, there was never any other communication....He's very knowledgeable but very important and busy and the nurses will do most of the communicating. Plus, he was not present for egg retrieval or transfer.
There was no consistency among nurses [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]. I had a different one every time I came in. Some were great and some not as friendly....I waited weeks for PGS results from Geneis Genetics. I was told Friday afternoon that results did not come in though Genesis said they were released. I finally found out results Monday due to Dr. Campbell not finding the results that were sent. It was painful to wait so long for news of whether we had a healthy embryo or not.
I saw him for three appointments. The initial consultation and two ultrasound ch do ups on baby's heartbeat. I felt like a number and while I enjoyed meeting with him, there was never any other communication.
There was the initial ,setting where he seemed very genuine and kind but from then on there was little communication until we got to the ultrasounds of seeing our baby.
Had 11 eggs, 8 fertilized, 4 made it to day 5 biopsy and testing. 1 of the 4 embryos were normal after PGS testing. We transferred and have a wonderful 4 month old.
There was no consistency among nurses. I had a different one every time I came in. Some were great and some not as friendly.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Nice looking, downtown so traffic is an issue, but this clinic has the best data with the most success. They are doing something right. Their embryologist were successful with our embryo.
2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Kuneck is a smart, caring physician. He seems to be on his way to retirement so availability was not always great and he does not make himself very accessible to patients- it always felt like you have to go through an army of nurses and blocks to get any direct access to him.
There were a number of errors [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota], the biggest that they did not inform me of a change in my medication protocol until too late. Even if that did not affect my cycle medically, the stress was enormous....Paul Kuneck was really great as a physician but his staff has some major weaknesses that made the process unpleasant and stressful at times.
Schedule regular face to face appointments with him in advance- you can cancel if you need to but otherwise you won't see him for months.
agonist, antagonist protocols- we failed almost every cycle so I'm not sure what would be useful for others. We did go to ICSI on the 2nd IVF and I would not wait to do this.
Some of the nurses were fantastic (Stacy) and others were absolutely terrible- there was one with a high pitched baby voice that was incredibly condescending every time and sometimes medically inaccurate as well (I'm in healthcare).
Standard
My insurance covered much of this but the costs were still enormous, but expected.
There were a number of errors, the biggest that they did not inform me of a change in my medication protocol until too late. Even if that did not affect my cycle medically, the stress was enormous.
Paul Kuneck
Minneapolis

Dr. DeMario himself was very kind and gentle but doesn't sugar coat anything. He was up front about success rates and costs.... At CRM you only meet the doctor once, then you see nurses for the testing and treatment. Our appointment with Dr. DeMario went well. He was knowledge and obviously has a lot of experience. I didn't feel a strong personal connection with him, but I do feel good about his expertise.... I took clomid to stimulate egg growth
They are high end and very professional. There are many clients so care is not super personal, but you know that they know what they're doing. I am not sure if we may get a second opinion but for now I am comfortable working with the Center for Reproductive Medicine.... The nurses at the clinic vary in their attitudes - it really depends on who is working when you go in for your appointment.... $2,000 for one cycle of IUI
Take things one step at a time.
Dr. DeMario himself was very kind and gentle but doesn't sugar coat anything. He was up front about success rates and costs. The nurses at the clinic vary in their attitudes - it really depends on who is working when you go in for your appointment.
I took clomid to stimulate egg growth followed by two days on vaginal estrogen to help thicken the uteran lining. I then took a "trigger shot" to stimulate ovulation. Two days later, we did the IUI followed by two weeks of vaginal progesterone.
It really depends on the nurse.
$2,000 for one cycle of IUI