Chaska
991 Sibley Memorial Highway, Suite #100
St. Paul, MN 55118
651-379-3110

2021, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Damario] came to appointments not even knowing our names or any previous treatments or procedures that had occurred with us, even though he was the one completing them...He forgot to send orders multiple times causing our retrieval process to be postponed multiple months. Almost six months working with them without a single completed stimulation med cycle, let alone egg retrieval. After multiple egregious errors and repeated demonstration of disorganizationed business practice, we asked for our money back...
[Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] One of the most disorganized businesses I've ever worked with...Almost six months working with them without a single completed stimulation med cycle, let alone egg retrieval...complete lack of communication and also miscommunication, both with us and within their own company...nurse Jenn was a real positive during our negative experience at CRM. Both her and the main phlebotomist at the St. Paul location were genuine, caring, and kind...
How was your experience with Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Look elsewhere. If you are seeking an involved, dedicated, and committed fertility doctor who shows genuine concern, effort, and communication skills regarding treatment, then DO NOT settle for Mark Demario.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
One of the most disorganized businesses I've ever worked with, which for a medical facility is inexcusable. The entire experience at CRM, St. Paul with Dr. Demario was discouraging and infuriating. Dr. Demario clearly takes on more patients than he can handle and didn't have a clue who we were at appointments. He came to appointments not even knowing our names or any previous treatments or procedures that had occurred with us, even though he was the one completing them. It was concerning to say the least. The biggest shock and disappointment was the complete lack of communication and also miscommunication, both with us and within their own company. He forgot to send orders multiple times causing our retrieval process to be postponed multiple months. Almost six months working with them without a single completed stimulation med cycle, let alone egg retrieval. After multiple egregious errors and repeated demonstration of disorganizationed business practice, we asked for our money back and have proceeded to work with RMIA. Even though we wasted our time, emotional well- being, and about $4,000 at CRM (coming away with literally nothing) we are so, so happy with RMIA. If you are looking for an involved, supportive, organized fertility experience then CRM and Dr. Demario in particular are not recommended.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
At the St. Paul location ,nurse Jenn was a real positive during our negative experience at CRM. Both her and the main phlebotomist at the St. Paul location were genuine, caring, and kind.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
of the most disorganized businesses I've ever worked with, which for a medical facility is inexcusable. The entire experience at CRM, St. Paul with Dr. Demario was discouraging and infuriating. Dr. Demario clearly takes on more patients than he can handle and didn't have a clue who we were at appointments. He came to appointments not even knowing our names or any previous treatments or procedures that had occurred with us, even though he was the one completing them. It was concerning to say the least. The biggest shock and disappointment was the complete lack of communication and also miscommunication, both with us and within their own company. He forgot to send orders multiple times causing our retrieval process to be postponed multiple months. Almost six months working with them without a single completed stimulation med cycle, let alone egg retrieval. After multiple egregious errors and repeated demonstration of disorganizationed business practice, we asked for our money back and have proceeded to work with RMIA. Even though we wasted our time, emotional well- being, and about $4,000 at CRM (coming away with literally nothing) we are so, so happy with RMIA. If you are looking for an involved, supportive, organized fertility experience then CRM and Dr. Demario in particular are not recommended. As unhappy and brokenhearted we were about our experience at CRM, we have been equally overjoyed at how thoroughly and quickly RMIA has supported us. On a positive note, however, nurse Jenn was a real positive during our negative experience at CRM. Both her and the main phlebotomist at the St. Paul location were genuine, caring, and kind.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
St. Paul

Dr Hopeman has a pleasant manner. She's compassionate and always sounds sincere but we did not get the results she so hopefully made us believe we would. She failed to listen to us every step of the way...She was against any testing up front...She negates every suggestion I have...it cost us hugely...near impossible to get to talk to the Dr herself...She failed to get all the information up front
The [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] clinic has a large reputation...Patients feel like a name in a chart. It feels like a revolving door. It's impossible to get questions answered quickly and easily. Everyone has a different version of things...They're chronically 20 minutes behind for every appointment. Appointment times are absolutely terrible and inflexible for working people.
How was your experience with Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr Hopeman has a pleasant manner. She's compassionate and always sounds sincere but we did not get the results she so hopefully made us believe we would. She failed to listen to us every step of the way. She was against any testing up front, claiming it wasn't necessary as it wasn't indicated.. how can she know that without doing the tests and ruling things out?! I finally had tests run to rule out issues AFTER a completely failed round of IVF. She negates every suggestion I have that I've learned from research and talking with others in similar circumstances. She failed to get all the information up front, before investing our entire one chance on a blind trial and it cost us hugely.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Advocate for yourself and stick to your guns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
there is very little communication about the plan, the results, the reasons for why things went like they did. There's no explanations, unless I specifically ask. I'm not called or checked up on. I rarely get responses. I always feel rushed and never feel listened to.
Describe the protocols Meg Hopeman used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
I used menopur, gonal F, ganirelix, and omnitrope (the human growth hormone). I started on low dose menopur but increased slightly throughout stims. It was believed I had PCOS (tested AFTER failed IVF to find out I DONT!), so my doses were kept low to avoid OHSS. I stimmed for 9 days and triggered day 9 when my largest follicle was 21mm. I had several small but mature follicles that ended up not being large enough to produce viable eggs. I triggered with an intramuscular.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota. (Assigned nurse: Dana Geving)
we felt really good meeting our nurse but quickly learned that she often failed to respond to emails or would take several days to respond. She only ever once reached out to check in on me.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic has a large reputation but it comes with large corporate practices. Patients feel like a name in a chart. It feels like a revolving door. It's impossible to get questions answered quickly and easily. Everyone has a different version of things so it's really confusing to know what's true or what's happening. They're chronically 20 minutes behind for every appointment. Appointment times are absolutely terrible and inflexible for working people.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They were only done within a range of hours in the morning. The times absolutely did not work with my work schedule and they were unwilling to bend their flexibility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meg Hopeman at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
We spent around $2500 total for a round of IUI that ended in a chemical. We moved to IVF and spent about $28,000, including $2500 for PGS testing. IVF completely failed so we finally ran a whole panel of tests coming to another few thousand. We also electively spent $1100 for HGH.
Describe Meg Hopeman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
we only ended up having 1 day 5 embryo to even transfer but we planned to only do 1 this time anyway because our insurance coverage only covered a single.
I feel like I was always in the dark. I often didn't get test results and when I did, they were rarely explained. They were told to me as if I were a doctor and would understand. And more often than not, each person I spoke with had something drastically different to say. This happened always between the nurses and Dr Hopeman, but it was near impossible to get to talk to the Dr herself.
Minneapolis

Dr Lebovic is very responsive with questions and I could tell it was important to him I understood what was happening. If I sent him an email at night I had a responsive before 8am the next day, even on weekends! I did not have problems with him personally however I wish I was able to see/talk to him more and that he would have been the one who did my egg retrieval
The people [at Center for Reproductive Medicine] are all very nice but the communication in general has been terrible...they didn’t call me with results/information (such as when to trigger)...The people are nice and seem to care, but I have constantly been frustrated with the clinic and the processes...The nurses were very kind however they struggled with communication.
How was your experience with Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Use his email and contact him directly when you have questions/concerns
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
When working with Dr Lebovic directly I felt very much like a person who mattered, however my interactions with him were very limited and the rest of the time I felt like a number because of the poor communication
Describe the protocols Dan Lebovic used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
I was on menopur and follistim for my stims, my trigger wasn’t supposed to be ovidrel but got switched last minute to lupron to avoid OHSS. I was also on several medications after retrieval to avoid OHSS (cabergaline and something else I don’t remember). I did avoid getting OHSS but also ended up with a lot of extra medicine I wish I hadn’t had to buy (I responded very well to the follistim so the dose had to be reduced). For transfer I am an OCPs, lupron, estradiol, aspirin and progesterone in oil. The lupron got added because I had breakthrough ovulation on OCPs alone.
The nurses were very kind however they struggled with communication. I was given a great, detailed timeline that said after my retrieval in November by transfer would be in January, however it then never got scheduled!
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The people are all very nice but the communication in general has been terrible. My transfer was supposed to be in January, didn’t get scheduled. Then scheduled for February, but they didn’t give me enough meds so I ovulated, then April but again I ovulated, pushed a week and then Covid happened so now who knows. Additionally, this is probably more about my dr, but I was made to buy several hundred dollars of medicine I didn’t need because I was overstimulating. The weekend of my retrieval I had to call the on call doctor twice bc they didn’t call me before the clinic closed with critical information (such as what time to trigger). The people are nice and seem to care, but I have constantly been frustrated with the clinic and the processes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dan Lebovic at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I don’t remember
As I already stated, appointments didn’t get scheduled when they said they would, they didn’t call me with results/information (such as when to trigger) and they struggled with communication as a whole

2020, Unsuccessful
I felt like a number by the simple fact that Dr Damario didn't listen to me. He also barely said a word to me when I had my first in person interaction/exam...He didn't go over the previous diagnosis he gave me or any possibility of treatment plan. I had to call the clinic weeks later just to find out I needed an appointment to get my results..
I had no interaction with nursing staff beyond when I called 2 weeks after my appointment to get my testing results. No one told me I even needed an appointment until I had called...The St Paul location was not helpful at all. Minneapolis location was great until my insurance forced me to transfer care. For example, the staff at Minneapolis tried to get approval from my insurance to allow me to continue to be seen. They also listened to me when I cried on the phone when I first found out about my insurance. They made it very easy to transfer care to another clinic. Forms were completed right away.
Because of Covid19, my first consult was on the phone. I was given a diagnosis of PCOS without any sort of physical exam or diagnostic testing. I was extremely frustrated with my interaction, but went in for an exam anyway. The phlebotomist drawing my blood seemed to care more about me than Dr Damario! During my ultrasound, he didn't say much beyond how everything looked normal. He didn't go over the previous diagnosis he gave me or any possibility of treatment plan. I had to call the clinic weeks later just to find out I needed an appointment to get my results. I was not happy. It wasn't until failed attempts at home that I realized I had to go back. I was able to transfer to the Minneapolis clinic. Proof that Dr Damario didn't listen to me? The new doctor went over his notes and had NO IDEA my husband is transgender. Funny how he was so focused on me paying for in office treatments and donor sperm, but couldn't factor in that my husband doesn't have any. Furthermore, I am currently dealing with the confusion as to why Dr Damario saw a normal number of follicles (5-7) and a normal uterus whereas my new clinic saw over 30 follicles and a slightly heart shaped uterus. That's a pretty big change even factoring in a few days difference in my cycle. (The higher count was seen earlier in my cycle, but only by a couple days.)
Go to the Minneapolis clinic. Don't bother seeing Dr Damario at the St Paul location.
Describe the protocols Mark Damario used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
There was no plan beyond purchasing donor sperm and having IUI done in office. Since my infertility was not properly diagnosed, I was not given the medications I am on now. 10 days of 400mg progesterone (to induce a period) 5 days of 5mg letrozole (once they determine I am ready) 1 250mcg Ovidrel injection (used before IUI) I have yet to use all 3 medications because it is unknown if my body will be producing viable eggs.
How competent was Mark Damario at LGBTQ care?
He never noted in my charts that my husband is transgender. Without any diagnostic work done for myself, I already had male factor infertility that should've been accounted for. Plus, when I went to another doctor at the Minneapolis location, she had no idea about my situation.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
My two visits ended up costing under $200 after my insurance. There were billing issues, though. I paid one bill and an updated bill arrived later with an additional cost. It was explained as insurance sometimes takes awhile to complete a claim.
How competent was Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota at LGBTQ care?
I did not see any resources in the waiting area nor did any staff offer information when I told them my husband is transgender.
Describe your experience using 3rd party reproduction (donor eggs, donor sperm, or gestational carrier) at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I never had the chance to use donor sperm at this clinic because I transferred care.
I probably would've transferred to the Minneapolis location sooner had I known I could. With that in mind, I could've also had treatment started in 2020. I still can't believe I had to call them to find out my results. What would've happened if I hadn't called??

2020, Unsuccessful
I saw Dr. K for a consult and then continued on with a couple IUI cycles. Although they failed, Dr. K never reached out or told me what we were going to do differently. I never saw him besides the initial consult. He also was dismissive toward my opinion on what my fertility issues were. Although I have read books about my hormones and fertility issues, he made it seem as though all of the information I ever read was false and laughable. He wasn't rude about it, but it was a little demeaning.
Overall, the [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] staff is hit or miss. Some of the front desk employees are sweet and welcoming, others are cold. I found the lack of communication from my doctor throughout the process very disappointing. It felt like they didn't care about whether my cycle was successful or not. It felt like they were going to push through any cycle regardless if everything looked good or not.
How was your experience with Joshua Kapfhamer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I chose Dr. K because I had heard lots of people love him. They said he was compassionate and had a warm bedside manner. My consult with him went ok, but I didn't feel like my opinion or my questions were fully welcomed. I may have caught him on an off day, but I haven't seen or heard from him since I had my consult with him almost 5 months ago. I'm sure he is busy with IVF patients, but it felt like since I was "only doing IUI" I wasn't important enough to keep up with.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joshua Kapfhamer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Make sure you're fully onboard with a minimal treatment plan and basically having the nurses as your doctor instead of Dr. K.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joshua Kapfhamer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Describe the protocols Joshua Kapfhamer used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
First IUI cycle I was on 2.5 of femara with a trigger shot. It only resulted in one mature follicle. The nurse told me to trigger that night (right away without consulting with Dr. K, even though he told me that he wanted 2-3). The trigger shot was scheduled to be taken between 6-8pm that night before the IUI was even scheduled, so the timing was not the typical "36 hours." I was told by the nurses that the timing didn't matter. This cycle didn't work and I believe they missed ovulation. Second cycle the nurses bumped me up to 5mg of femara and a trigger shot. It resulted in 3 follicles, and once again the nurse told me to trigger that night between 6-8pm before even knowing when the IUI would be scheduled. This also resulted in a negative test. I never had blood work drawn once. I was also told progesterone wasn't proven to help women sustain pregnancy, so it was not recommended for me to take it.
My first cycle I didn't care for my nursing staff. They were very cold and didn't seem to be happy to work there. The second round I had fantastic, sweet, and caring nurses!
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Overall, the staff is hit or miss. Some of the front desk employees are sweet and welcoming, others are cold. I found the lack of communication from my doctor throughout the process very disappointing. It felt like they didn't care about whether my cycle was successful or not. It felt like they were going to push through any cycle regardless if everything looked good or not.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joshua Kapfhamer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
My IUIs were around 1,250, not including medication.
My doctor initially told me they would run some bloodwork throughout my cycle, but it was never ordered. I asked about it and they said it wasn't necessary. I was also told by my doctor that my IUI would be 36 hours after my trigger shot, and was told that the timing wasn't important. This was disappointing especially since they weren't confirming that I was ovulating with bloodwork or more ultrasounds.
Joshua Kapfhamer
Minneapolis

I never got to talk to my doctor...I had no idea what my treatment should look like or why- I just kept calling and going in for baselines month after month with no results and no feedback....Meg [Dr. Hopeman] was compassionate on the first meeting and very hopeful. Then, I only saw her twice in 6 moths of treatment. Didn't see her again till I cried and said I was going to another clinic. Thr treatment plan wasn't explained further and I just kept going back in for more IUIs
Very disorganized. I sat in the office [Ctr for Reprod Med of Mininnesota] on more than one occasion waiting to be called back after checking in, and turned out that my file had just been sitting on the desk, never taken back to the nurses. Almost never got called back when leaving messages for the nurseline, and they didn't stagger staff so there was never anyone working over the lunch hour....Costs for treatment were very reasonable compared to other clinics.
Meg was compassionate on the first meeting and very hopeful. Then, I only saw her twice in 6 moths of treatment. Didn't see her again till I cried and said I was going to another clinic. Thr treatment plan wasn't explained further and I just kept going back in for more IUIs even though there was no regroup to see why nothing was happening.
You need to ask specially to have her call you, or you will never hear from her again and will have a new nurse every time you enter the clinic.
No rational for any treatment. I used letrozole 3 times/day for multiple IUIs, then changed to Gonal f 300 for the last two.
You had a different nurse every time you came into the clinic. I honestly maybe saw one nurse more than one time. Felt very businesslike and impersonal. The nurses themselves were all nice, but none seemed to have any answers to any of my questions and I always left confused.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Very disorganized. I sat in the office on more than one occasion waiting to be called back after checking in, and turned out that my file had just been sitting on the desk, never taken back to the nurses. Almost never got called back when leaving messages for the nurseline, and they didn't stagger staff so there was never anyone working over the lunch hour.
Costs for treatment were very reasonable compared to other clinics. You get what you pay for though.
This place was a mess. My new clinic never got the records we asked for, so had to get all new labs done. Nurses constantly gave conflicting info and next to never spoke with the doctor. Appointments were usually running late, but that was to be expected.
Minneapolis

I enjoyed my initial consult meeting with her [Dr. Colleen Casey]. She was straight to the point and not phased that we were a same sex couple. But I never saw her again. I was shuffled around between nurses and techs. If I called with a question or the nurses were on a fence if we should go forward on a cycle, the nurses would reach out to her and then get back to me...She’s very knowledgeable and thoroughly explained how we would proceed with IUI. I just wish she was more hands on with patients who aren’t doing IVF.
I was shuffled around between nurses and techs [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]...The clinic is very IVF focused, and I would trust them if we needed to go that route. Just be prepared to be treated like a second class citizen if you’re doing other treatments...The first time I went in for the vaginal ultrasound, the tech did the inspection and the nurse came it to give me the prescription for Ovidrel and letrozole. I asked her what they saw on the ultrasound and she seemed annoyed that she had to stop and explain something. The other nurses were great and optimistic. I just wish they explained more. For example never told me how many follicles or what size unless I asked.
How was your experience with Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I was impressed with my one actual interaction with her. She’s very knowledgeable and thoroughly explained how we would proceed with IUI. I just wish she was more hands on with patients who aren’t doing IVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Be prepared to never see her beyond your consult
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I enjoyed my initial consult meeting with her. She was straight to the point and not phased that we were a same sex couple. But I never saw her again. I was shuffled around between nurses and techs. If I called with a question or the nurses were on a fence if we should go forward on a cycle, the nurses would reach out to her and then get back to me. The clinic is very IVF focused, and I would trust them if we needed to go that route. Just be prepared to be treated like a second class citizen if you’re doing other treatments.
Describe the protocols Colleen Casey used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
I chose the medicated IUI route because of the higher odds. I appreciated being able to choose. We used letrozole CD 3-5 and Ovidrel when instructed after the second ultrasound.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The front office staff has no personality and is short with everyone in line. I appreciate the the signs in the lobby asking that patients don’t bring children. Everything is clean and professional. I appreciate the free garage parking. The andrology lab down the hall is incredibly organized, professional, and has a lovely staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Colleen Casey at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I thankfully have some limited fertility coverage, so I only had to pay up to my deductible and all the costs associated with sperm. I think each cycle of actual treatment (minus sperm) was billed around $1200.
There were a couple times where a nurse would make a call about when to trigger and then after they consulted with Dr Casey would call frantically to order something different. If this cycle hadn’t worked, we were planning on switching to a different clinic.
Minneapolis

I only got to see him [Dr. Mark Damario] once in our three failed cycles at CRM...I asked if I could try other things to help me produce more follicles at a faster rate because they took longer to grow and no one seemed to care what I thought...Nothing was adjusted to my body’s needs...not one person in the clinic or my Doctor had called me to check on me or continue care into the next step...I very much felt like a number.
[Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] is professional and clean. Everyone was nice but felt like it was because they had to be. I felt a little rushed after my follicle checks/ office visits...They weren’t very up front with their costs. I had to pay a lot of money for blood work that was not discussed with me in detail what all the test meant...Only one specific nurse was very nice and genuine with me. She made me feel very comfortable and listened to me when my first cycle failed about trying or adding more medications into the mix.
Dr. Damario is professional and was nice at my initial consultation. He explained our next steps and was clear in what he wanted. I only got to see him once in our three failed cycles at CRM. I did feel like a number because I always had to reach out to them and I never got my blood work tested throughout my 3 cycles with them. Only at initial consultation. I asked if I could try other things to help me produce more follicles at a faster rate because they took longer to grow and no one seemed to care what I thought with my body. Nothing was adjusted to my body’s needs and therefore could of resulted in a pregnancy and not another failed cycle. Then after my three cycles were finished no one called me as usual and no one offered to discuss the next step with me. I very much felt like a number.
Be adamant of what you want and speak up if no one is listening to you.
I only seen my Doctor once in the whole three cycles I have done at CRM; including all of the office visits, follicle scans. Also after the three FAILED cycles not one person in the clinic or my Doctor had called me to check on me or continue care into the next step.
Dr. Damario suggested we do three cycles of letrozole and ovidrel trigger with timed intercourse. No blood work occurred to check any of my levels. And or adjust medication. All three cycles resulted in 0 pregnancies. I did not even know if I ovulated because levels were not checked.
Only one specific nurse was very nice and genuine with me. She made me feel very comfortable and listened to me when my first cycle failed about trying or adding more medications into the mix. After our talk it was brought up by me to another nurse to try other medications or up my dose and I was totally ignored. The other nurses were professional but made me feel like I was just a number.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This clinic is professional and clean. Everyone was nice but felt like it was because they had to be. I felt a little rushed after my follicle checks/ office visits. If you don’t mind feeling like a number and having them call all the shots then go to this clinic , otherwise keep looking.
$4500-$5,500 my whole time there. Out of pocket.
They weren’t very up front with their costs. I had to pay a lot of money for blood work that was not discussed with me in detail what all the test meant. Then I got billed for it later even though I already paid for the consult and follicle scan right away. All the tests they took at initial consult was never discussed with me about any of the results. They did not listen to me when I suggested we try higher doses or other medications. I never got tested during my cycles to see how well I ovulated or if I even ovulated. Or how well I was responding to the medications. I got my period after every failed cycle because I was on progesterone. After the failed cycles I never got a phone call to see how I was doing with another failed cycle or to discuss further treatment. They required my husband do another SA when I told them he had one, one year prior. And I provided them with his results. Which were excellent. I have spent thousands of dollars on failed cycles and nothing was ever adjusted and I felt like it was a waste of money.
2016 - 2019, Successful
I did not feel that with my specific diagnosis’, communication, treatment modifications were made or evaluated on a per cycle basis. Treatment modification suggestions came from me and not the doctor [Dr. Casey].... Approachable and friendly. Easy to get follow-up appointments and willing to talk over the phone.... I had OHSS but was not taken seriously, I had to beg to be seen and treated.
Front desk staff [Ctr for Repro Med of MN], phlebotomist, and some nurses not very friendly and treat you like a number. When something is going on medically different, it’s hard to communicate with staff and hard to hear back from them or hard to feel like you’re being taken seriously.... Just sometimes failure to follow through with what they said they would do. You feel like you are bothering them if you have questions. They failed to call with beta results and call in prescriptions. I had to call a couple times to request them again.
Approachable and friendly. Easy to get follow-up appointments and willing to talk over the phone. Does not think outside the box or suggest alternative/Chinese medicine to help. Supplements are never discussed and not taken seriously, outside of take a prenatal.
Be your own advocate and do your research.
I did not feel that with my specific diagnosis’, communication, treatment modifications were made or evaluated on a per cycle basis. Treatment modification suggestions came from me and not the doctor. I do not feel that treatment outside of prescribed medications (eg. diet modifications, supplements, Chinese medicine, etc.) were taken seriously when brought up by me. I had OHSS but was not taken seriously, I had to beg to be seen and treated.
Gonal-f 75 Femara 5 Orividrel trigger Progesterone
Treat you like a number. Most do not talk to you about anything other than treatment. Once, a nurse completely missed that there was fluid still in my uterus on cd10. I had to tell her what the ultrasound tech said.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Front desk staff, phlebotomist, and some nurses not very friendly and treat you like a number. When something is going on medically different, it’s hard to communicate with staff and hard to hear back from them or hard to feel like you’re being taken seriously.
I don’t remember. A list was provided at the beginning of treatment what my ins covered with IUIs.
Describe Colleen Casey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.

2017 - 2019, Successful
He made himself available via email and never made me feel bad if I reached out to him. He made me feel important and on this journey, you need someone like that because it is extremely taxing on your soul. ... Dr. Lebovic is a very kind and gentle soul. He is very honest and doesn’t tell you what you want to hear, instead he is a straight shooter but he has a way of doing so that is compassionate and empathetic.
They [CRM of MN] need to focus more on the patient and their experience. More hand holding...checking on the patient ....educating the patient on every step and what to expect. Don’t just assume we know. ... I dealt with several nurses throughout my journey. Some great but others not so great. ... I didn’t feel important. ... There were times I was so sad and confused and had no clue what was happening at all the ultrasounds leading up to the egg retrieval, and the nurses just treated you like cattle herding. Just another one girl and keep them moving.
Dr. Lebovic is a very kind and gentle soul. He is very honest and doesn’t tell you what you want to hear, instead he is a straight shooter but he has a way of doing so that is compassionate and empathetic. He is different from other physicians in the regard that he makes himself available to his patients via email. I can’t tell you how much that meant to me on my journey with IVF. There were many times I had a question and didn’t think I should have to spend $100 for a meeting to ask one question since I was already spending thousands and thousands on the ivf process. He made himself available via email and never made me feel bad if I reached out to him. He made me feel important and on this journey, you need someone like that because it is extremely taxing on your soul.
Be prepared to go through a lot but know that you will have an honest doctor that will tell you the truth and support you all the way.
Dr.Lebovic made me feel important no matter what time of day it was and no question was ever silly or bothersome to him. I could email him with concerns or questions and within 15 minutes he would respond to me. I felt secure knowing he was my doctor.
I dealt with several nurses throughout my journey. Some great but others not so great. There were times I was so sad and confused and had no clue what was happening at all the ultrasounds leading up to the egg retrieval, and the nurses just treated you like cattle herding. Just another one girl and keep them moving. I didn’t feel important. As a new person to IVF, I had no clue what to expect but I certainly didn’t feel like a special patient going through one of the hardest things ever in life and spending thousands of dollars.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They need to focus more on the patient and their experience. More hand holding...checking on the patient ....educating the patient on every step and what to expect. Don’t just assume we know. Don’t be afraid to stop the nurse and ask questions. They owe you the time and curtesy of making sure you feel secure about your choice.
We spent over $50k. 2 IUI, 2 egg retrieval with 1 viable transfer, 2 blast through Cryos and 1 transfer.
Describe Dan Lebovic's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
He was very honest with me about transfering only one. He said it would not be a good idea health wise but also it really would not increase my chances of success but rather increase my chances of multiples. And that would not be healthy for me at 40 years old
Minneapolis

I only saw Dr. Lebovic once during my whole time at CRM and that was the initial appointment -which felt very rushed and rehearsed/scripted/same things told to everyone. I saw different doctors for each procedure but I never had him for anything even though he was my "doctor."...He is very blunt and to the point with questions and concerns...Kind of a move em in-ship 'em out feeling.
I wish that I didn't have to leave a message every time I had a question and *hope* for a call back the same day [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota]. Most of the time it was the next day and I never got the same person. I know some are assigned one, they can email questions, etc at other clinics...I know that CRM is a busy clinic but I never felt like I talked to the same person hardly ever. I never got to know any of the doctors or nurses as I talked to/saw someone different every time. Kind of a move em in-ship 'em out feeling.
He is very blunt and to the point with questions and concerns.
All of the nurses that I talked to worked with were nice, I just wish I was assigned one vs speaking with multiple nurses about everything. I never got the same one.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I think the hard thing going into IVF is your expectations vs what happens. I have a couple friends who went through IVF and then just being in IVF groups you see how other clinics do things. I wish that I didn't have to leave a message every time I had a question and *hope* for a call back the same day. Most of the time it was the next day and I never got the same person. I know some are assigned one, they can email questions, etc at other clinics.
I believe I paid around 21,000 when all was said and done.
We were told we could only transfer one the entire time we were going through our process and then on transfer day they said we could do two if we wanted.
Just wish there was more open communication with nurses/doctors, etc at this clinic. I also wish I had more compassion from them when I had my miscarriage. You spend $$$$ and then to go through a miscarriage and be brushed off is hard and it hurts. I felt like they wanted to rush into my next transfer right away.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Damario] never seemed to study up on the current cycle's prior visits and it felt like we were telling him what happened...always seemed wishy washy and not assertive enough with his opinion and assessment of the cycle status. I would have preferred someone who was more confident. He also never followed up with me after the 2 miscarriages...The nurses showed more compassion following our miscarriages than the dr. did.
Strength [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] - allowing you to do monitoring in St Paul or Minneapolis. Weaknesses - (1) not always giving more than 24 hours notice for the amount you have to prepay per visit, if you don't have insurance. (2) No communication from management to clinic finance person that their contract with health insurance provider was updated and patient wasn't supposed to prepay anything
Dr Demario always seemed wishy washy and not assertive enough with his opinion and assessment of the cycle status. I would have preferred someone who was more confident. He also never followed up with me after the 2 miscarriages.
Ask lots of questions if you don't understand something.
He never seemed to study up on the current cycle's prior visits and it felt like we were telling him what happened.
2016 we had 3 iui's with follistim, femara, and ovidrel to trigger. 2017 we had 2 ivf cycles (stims, retrieval, icsi, embryo transfer. First round was birth control for initial suppression, then follistim, menopur, endometrin, minivelle patches, hcg injection for trigger. Second round was the same except for increased follistim, coQ10 supplement, and I think we added in microdose Lupron. In 2018 we had 1 FET with the 2 remaining embryos from 2017 round 2, with birth control for initial suppression, estradiol tablets, and PIO injections.
The nurses showed more compassion following our miscarriages than the dr. did. They were also always willing to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strength - allowing you to do monitoring in St Paul or Minneapolis. Weaknesses - (1) not always giving more than 24 hours notice for the amount you have to prepay per visit, if you don't have insurance. (2) No communication from management to clinic finance person that their contract with health insurance provider was updated and patient wasn't supposed to prepay anything
I believe our reimbursement for the ART side of the first cycle was $9870. That does not include any bloodwork, monitoring appointments, or medication. The reimbursement we got the 2nd time was slightly higher due to needing embryo cryopreservation.
Describe Mark Damario's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
We only ever got grade 3 embryos. When we arrived at our FET in January 2018 he encouraged us to consider transferring 2 which would increase the chance of 1 sticking.
We were thankful to have insurance coverage and the way our first cycle went is we prepaid everything to the clinic and then submitted to insurance for reimbursement later. That in itself is a whole different story. We did the same prepay/request reimbursement the 2nd time and we found out after the fact that a contract was agreed to and nobody informed my clinic and the insurance company thought i was going to send all of the money back to them that they had reimbursed me for. They wanted to do it that way and re-process all of the claims through insurance first. It was a major nightmare.
St. Paul

You are not assigned an individual nurse here and this is a large clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine]. This means that every time you go in you are dealing with a new person. When things come up there is no easy access point. You can call the nurse line but you will consistently be directed to the voicemail system and can expect to wait all day for a call back. When you do get a call you should be prepared for the nurse to be entirely unfamiliar with your case and to have 'skimmed' your voicemail at best.
Dr. Lebovic is obviously intelligent and takes a very evidence-based approach to treatment. He is a fine choice for standardized care if you are a straightforward case. If not, however, you may find yourself frustrated as there is limited openness to tweaking protocols, adding supplements, etc. Dr. Lebovic tries to connect and is very responsive (called/emailed immediately with test results and to answer questions) but his bedside manner is lacking in warmth. I'm not typically one that needs a lot of warmth, in fact I am sometimes irritated by it! But his was just such an anxious, cold presentation that it made me uncomfortable and added to the stress of it all. Infertility treatment is stressful enough, do yourself a favor and only choose to work with a provider that you feel good about!
Give him a shot, perhaps your personalities will jive better than mine did with him. Be prepared to ask a lot of direct questions and receive very brief answers. Don't hesitate to reach out to him for guidance as needed as he is happy to help.
Dr. Lebovic does his best to be a clear communicator and to be responsive. The problem is just that there is no sense of warmth. He is neutral in every way one can imagine. Flat affect, flat intonation, provides limited opinions and observations, etc. We could tell he was trying but it was just all very cold.
Birth control leading into things. Antagonist protocol (ganirelix) + 300IU Follistim + 150IU Menopur. Ovidrel trigger. The rationale for using this protocol was never explained to me.
You are not assigned an individual nurse here and this is a large clinic. This means that every time you go in you are dealing with a new person. When things come up there is no easy access point. You can call the nurse line but you will consistently be directed to the voicemail system and can expect to wait all day for a call back. When you do get a call you should be prepared for the nurse to be entirely unfamiliar with your case and to have 'skimmed' your voicemail at best. I had mutliple experiences where the nurses called back and provided inaccurate information about my case which instills very little confidence. When I lost a pregnancy it was very difficult to reach anyone for help about what to do and when I finally did the contact was neutral at best.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This clinic is a factory. There are quite a few doctors, a lot of nurses, and many, many patients. This means that it is very unlikely that you will see your identified provider after the initial consult or that you will notice many familiar faces at your appointments. On egg retrieval and transfer days you could have any provider in the practice assigned to you and, be warned, they do not all have superb bedside manner. This results in unecessary stress on very important days. This is also a clinic that schedules cycles quite far out (2+months after consult) and seems to run patients in 'batches' meaning that they may have you on birth control for months to sync up your cycle with their schedule.
The actual cycle was about $14,000. Meds were probably another $3000.
Prefers eSET but open to multiple embryo transfer when appropriate.
Failed to receive test results until I reached out to them. Received conflicting information from the nurses and my doctor.
Minneapolis

My experiences with Dr. Hopeman have been largely positive. As a scientist myself, I appreciate receiving highly detailed information on my labwork, diagnosis, treatment, etc. Dr. Hopeman has been willing to provide these detailed explanations in a compassionate way. She has been available to speak by phone or meet in person as needed. In the course of a regular IUI cycle, however, I do not see her. I do, however, feel that Dr. Hopeman pushes IVF somewhat.
I think this clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine of MN] is geared towards IVF patients, and, as someone undergoing IUI cycles, I felt a bit of a second-class citizen. The clinic set up did not enable me to feel that I was receiving personalized care.... Each nurse I interacted with seemed competent and friendly, but over the course of nine visits, I believe I met with eight different nurses. The lack of continuity was a huge problem for me, and made me feel a bit like part of an assembly line. I felt that because the nurses didn't know me and my medical situation personally their clinical judgments were based on their experiences overall, and were not tailored to my situation.
Be very clear with her about what your boundaries are in terms of types of treatments you are willing to consider, and tell her what level of detail you would like in terms of scientific information about diagnosis, testing, and treatment.
Dr. Hopeman is very caring and treats me like a person, but I generally only see nurses when I go in for monitoring and IUIs. Over nine visits I saw seven or eight different nurses. The lack of continuity in nursing care made me feel like a number in many of my daily interactions at the clinic.
My first two cycles with Dr. Hopeman I had baseline ultrasound monitoring on cycle day 3, took letrozole (10mg) from cycle day 3 - 7, went in on cycle day 11 for a monitoring ultrasound, triggered that night (ovidrel) for IUI the morning of cycle day 13. I used progesterone suppositories during the luteal phase. My next cycle I will have estradiol measured on day 3, try clomid instead of letrozole, wait until cycle 12 for monitoring, and double the dose of ovidrel for triggering. The morning of the IUI and the following morning I will have progesterone measured to check the timing of ovulation, and I will again take progesterone suppositories during the luteal phase.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I think this clinic is geared towards IVF patients, and, as someone undergoing IUI cycles, I felt a bit of a second-class citizen. The clinic set up did not enable me to feel that I was receiving personalized care. I do however think that the treatment provided is high quality and the facilities are fantastic.
An IUI cycle cost approximately $1,500 (including drugs), without insurance coverage.
No comments.
With one of my cycles I had a cyst, and I received conflicting information from a nurse and from my doctor about risks vs. benefits of proceeding with the cycle. At the point of triggering for that cycle, it was also unclear if the larger follicle was the cyst or a new follicle, and again I received conflicting information on this. I also requested specific bloodwork that was not performed and I had to request it a second time.
Minneapolis

I met with Dr. Damario for an initial consultation and then once more two weeks prior to Stimulation start for a baseline ultrasound and trial transfer. During the entire course of IVF treatment, egg retrieval, and transfer I did not see or hear from Dr. Damario at all.... He did not seem to be aware of what was happening with my care. He couldn’t recognize me and didn’t know my name. He always had his nurse contact me, except once
We pre-paid $1200 for cryopreservation of embryos. More than 6 wks after all of our embryos stopped developing and it was confirmed we did not have any left for cryopreservation, we had still not received a refund for this or heard from the clinic [Ctr for Repro Med of MN] about a refund.... Sue was great- explained everything in great detail, kept me informed about my lab work and my progress
He did not seem to be aware of what was happening with my care. He couldn’t recognize me and didn’t know my name. He always had his nurse contact me, except once— Dr. Damario called me after my first BHCG to tell me I was pregnant and had “an honest to goodness good pregnancy level.” But two days later, when my BHCG dropped, Dr. Damario had one of the nurses contact me to tell me I was going to miscarry. Dr. Damario miscounted my follicles during my baseline ultrasound. During my ultrasound after miscarriage diagnosis, Dr. Damario looked around for about 3 minutes before confirming miscarriage will be happening and giving me my options to proceed with the miscarriage. He diagnosed me with a “blighted ovum” at 6.5wks, which I have read should never be diagnosed before wk 9. I also had a visible yolk sac, which I also understand does not meet the definition for blighted ovum. Here I am at 9.6wks and still have not miscarried (will likely still miscarry), but have chosen to follow up with further ultrasounds at a different clinic with a new provider.
Do your research about your own situation and possible IVF protocols before meeting with Dr. Damario so you are prepared to ask specific questions & get the answers you need.
I met with Dr. Damario for an initial consultation and then once more two weeks prior to Stimulation start for a baseline ultrasound and trial transfer. During the entire course of IVF treatment, egg retrieval, and transfer I did not see or hear from Dr. Damario at all. His nurses were always the ones in contact with me about my progress and with orders for stimulation dosage changes. Dr. Damario would not have been to recognize me in the waiting room or recall my name at any point, even once completed with treatment.
- Birthcontrol for downregulation 6 weeks prior to treatment start - Lupron 20IU for further downregulation for 10 days - Lupron decreased to 5IU from day 3-5 of stimulation, then stopped -Stimulation Start: Menopur 150IU morning & Follistim 150IU for 14 days (Follistim bumped up to 300IU after day 3 d/t slow ovarian response/possible over sensitivity to Lupron) - Trigger Shot: 10,000IU Novarel (HCG) injection 36 hours before transfer * my body was downregulated significantly prior to treatment start, which required doubling the dose of the follistim and added an extra 2-4 days of stimulation before trigger shot. I also had two lead follicles and was told of a potential risk for cycle cancelation * I had 16 follicles, but only 14 eggs retrieved. 8 eggs were mature and all 8 fertilized with ICSI. No embryos made to blastocyst stage. * we transferred a morula and 8-cell embryo on day 5. All other embryos stopped developing by day 6 and we did not have any leftover to freeze.
Sue was great- explained everything in great detail, kept me informed about my lab work and my progress, described ultrasounds while doing them, remembered my name and things about me. Julie- great, very kind and personable; remembered my name and things about me. There were other nurses that didn’t even introduce themselves or attempt to build any rapport during the appt at all, were very blunt and jumped to worst case scenario. I don’t know their names because they never said their name.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths: - front desk staff friendly and personable - a few nurses were friendly and personable - most of lab staff was nice and efficient (aside from one lab person) Weaknesses: - a few bad nurses that make you feel like a number - care team didn’t seem to take time to understand our situation - we were not given any possible explanation for the underdevelopment of all of our embryos - our miscarriage was diagnosed immediately, and with 100% certainty before taking additional bloodwork or ultrasound to confirm— this seemed very insensitive, considering our entire process.
IVF retrieval/transfer/ICSI- $11,800 Medication- $7000 Monitoring/bloodwork: $2800 Prescreening: $800
Dr. Colleen Casey did the embryo transfer. She recommended transferring only 1 embryo because the next most developed one was only 8 cells. She told us transferring two could be harmful to the morula which was further developed. We told her we wanted to transfer two anyway and asked for more information on how it could be harmful and she then said that it probably wouldn’t be harmful, but it just wouldn’t be likely to implant. We transferred two and all remaining embryos arrested the next day.
We pre-paid $1200 for cryopreservation of embryos. More than 6 wks after all of our embryos stopped developing and it was confirmed we did not have any left for cryopreservation, we had still not received a refund for this or heard from the clinic about a refund. We finally had to reach out to them to initiate the refund process. 2 wks after we reached out, and we have yet to receive our refund (8 weeks after it was confirmed there would be no cryopreservation).
St. Paul

Dr. Damario tried the "usual" protocols with us for our 3 IUIs. We used a frozen sperm sample for one IUI and had a nurse tell me that the sperm count was fairly low, minutes before the IUI rather than actually calling on the day the sample was given.... After 2 failed IUIs, I requested additional testing, which he relented to. These tests gave us some clues regarding our challenges but Dr. Damario was not great at explaining the significance of our results
The billing office [Ctr for Repro Med of MN] wouldn't give us an outright refund for services we paid for OOP after we learned that some of the procedures were covered by our insurance....To change doctors at this clinic, you literally have to discuss the change with the CEO. The CEO told me that she was really surprised at my requested change and made me feel like I had done something wrong... nurses couldn't answer a simple question like "on average, what % of sperm don't make it through the freeze-thaw cycle."
Dr. Damario started us with the "typical" IUI protocol given our diagnosis of unexplained infertility. After 2 failed IUIs, I requested additional testing, which he relented to. These tests gave us some clues regarding our challenges but Dr. Damario was not great at explaining the significance of our results. We wound up googling for information. We also then found out that there are a number of lifestyle issues that can impact sperm quality, which Dr. Damario never once mentioned. The lack of information was highly disappointing and left us feeling like we had spent thousands of dollars without learning very much. I would not recommend his practice for anyone who wants a proactive, communicative physician.
You have to be your own advocate and invest in a lot of research on your own. He will not push you or advocate for aggressive treatment.
Dr. Damario tried the "usual" protocols with us for our 3 IUIs. We used a frozen sperm sample for one IUI and had a nurse tell me that the sperm count was fairly low, minutes before the IUI rather than actually calling on the day the sample was given. This is one example of several times when the clinic didn't seem to have any sense of urgency or be very proactive about helping my husband and I navigate infertility. It was highly disappointing.
1st IUI: 50 mg Clomid on CD 5-9 with ovidrel trigger; 2nd IUI: 100 mg Letrozole CD 4-8 - ovulated early and cancelled cycle; 3rd IUI: 100 mg Letrozole with frozen sperm sample with very low count and ovidrel trigger; 4th IUI: 100 mg Letrozole with fresh sperm sample with normal count with ovidrel trigger; all cycles were BFN.
Sue was great; most of the other nurses at the St Paul location were not great at communicating. Many couldn't explain the rationale behind changes in protocol; also, nurses couldn't answer a simple question like "on average, what % of sperm don't make it through the freeze-thaw cycle."
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Clinic was located convenient to my home, which is why I initially chose them. Their appointments are generally on time. The billing office wouldn't give us an outright refund for services we paid for OOP after we learned that some of the procedures were covered by our insurance. Instead, they issued a credit and many months later, I still have never received an account balance. To change doctors at this clinic, you literally have to discuss the change with the CEO. The CEO told me that she was really surprised at my requested change and made me feel like I had done something wrong in requesting a change of doctor rather than truly trying to understand how the clinic might improve. It was disappointing.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
The course of treatment was cookie cutter and didn't change. ... She [Dr. Casey] was a nice doctor though but the care wasn't tailored to my wife and only changed after we pressed for alternatives and went through a mock cycle. ... It was the same each time. The pill for a time, then lupron shots, estrace, progesterone. ... Do not use this doctor and clinic [CCRM - Minnesota] if you are having a lot of difficulty getting pregnant.
They [nurses] never knew information on my wife upfront and would routinely make sloppy mistakes by giving her standard guidance. ... After the mock cycle she was found to be post receptive but they [nurses] almost messed up our last cycle had my wife not pressed and questioned the professional nurses [CRM - Minnesota] and questioned what they were saying to do. It is shocking.
The course of treatment was cookie cutter and didn't change. It seemed to be the same for everyone everytime. She was a nice doctor though but the care wasn't tailored to my wife and only changed after we pressed for alternatives and went through a mock cycle. This place seems more like a farm running everyone through one protocol.
Do not use this doctor and clinic if you are having a lot of difficulty getting pregnant.
Even though we went through many cycles with them, the staff regularly didn't know what we had done before. We even did a mock trial and the results were post receptive and while doing our last donor cycle after the mock, they were still giving us bad information by not recognizing the treatment should change. My wife even questioned it, they said no this is fine and then realized their huge mistake and changed the medicine. This type of behavior was present during our time here. Not that example but they would often give us the same old methods, treatment, and information time after time. It is difficult because you are in a vulnerable situation and dependant on their expert advice.
They never knew information on my wife upfront and would routinely make sloppy mistakes by giving her standard guidance. They must have one track protocol and it is hard for them to know if that changes. They didn't seem to know if we were doing ours or fresh or frozen or donor.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Everything can be different for different people so if you do go here, also go to Colorado clinic in Edina. You have to talk to more than one place. We were naive and thought we went to the best. You have to talk to different doctors and different places. I would recommend they ask what happens when it doesn't work. Did the process change. Is it tailored to the patient or do they follow a method they like. Why? Because it works best? That may be fine but it is good to know that it isn't guaranteed. I thought you could assure yourself a baby with one of these processes.
25k for egg cycles and 5k due each frozen transfer
The first fresh donor transfer after a failed fresh homegrown transfer was where we had a surprise. We had told them over and over we were going to do 2 embryos. We had tried on our own for so long we wanted to do whatever it took to get one or two babies. Minutes before the transfer of the fresh donor eggs, the doctor said it was so good that we should just do one. My wife had to make her decision they're on the spot and was gently pressured to just do one. It was our choice but the were insistant that it was so good and this was very likely to work. It was a unesseccary to do two because we would end up with two babies and the complication of that.
They do the same thing over and over. They find it hard to know our do something different. After the mock cycle she was found to be post receptive but they almost messed up our last cycle had my wife not pressed and questioned the professional nurses and questioned what they were saying to do. It is shocking.
Minneapolis
You will really like her [Dr. Meg Hopeman] she’s very kind caring person...I feel she has a fresh brain since she’s new to the clinic. I do wish that I’d had more communication with her. It was a lot more communicating with the nurses instead of the actual provider. I think she’s a very very down to earth provider and makes a good connection with each patient.
Some of the staff that were nurses [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] were really good. Others weren’t very kind at all didn’t really pay attention to your chart had wrong cycle dates and lacks compassion...the first IUI Didn’t work because ovulation was missed but yet we still proceeded with going through with inseminating...You’d have to constantly leave messages you would never be able to speak to somebody live.
I feel she was a good provider. I feel she has a fresh brain since she’s new to the clinic. I do wish that I’d had more communication with her. It was a lot more communicating with the nurses instead of the actual provider. I think she’s a very very down to earth provider and makes a good connection with each patient.
You will really like her she’s very kind caring person.
Some of the staff that were nurses were really good. Others weren’t very kind at all didn’t really pay attention to your chart had wrong cycle dates and lacks compassion
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
I feel it’s a friendly clinic. I just feel trying to get a hold of people like the nursing staff is very very hard to do you always have to leave messages.I feel the front desk girls are really nice and they were amazing at scheduling appointments. I feel that you should be able to pick what days appointments work best for you during your work schedule especially if it falls on a weekend they don’t always like you doing
I feel that it’s pretty expensive to be able to see them. You have to take out loans in order to proceed with IVF Because most insurances won’t cover things you have to have a financial plan and it’s expensive to receive help in order to get pregnant
When I first started my process. They had the wrong cycle day. So they didn’t have the correct data needed for proper documentation on where I was that in my cycle. Which caused me to miss ovulation so the first IUI Didn’t work because ovulation was missed but yet we still proceeded with going through with inseminating. The nursing staff wasn’t very friendly. You’d have to constantly leave messages you would never be able to speak to somebody live.
Minneapolis
CRM is a very big and busy clinic, with many staff members. I had contact with many nurses during my treatment, and it was rare for any of them to really know the details of my case. There were several times (typically during phone calls) when I could tell that the nurses hadn't adequately reviewed my chart before calling.... It is very easy to feel like you are just an anonymous number, which we really didn't like. Having said that, it is generally easy to schedule appointments, it is easy to get through to the front desk staff, and the nurses generally call back in a timely manner.
Dr. Casey has a very matter-of-fact style of interaction. We had some pretty big losses during our treatment, and while she expressed sympathy, she was quite blunt. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with this--it just isn't our style and we would have preferred a little more compassion/empathy. Dr. Casey presented information about our options in an easy-to-understand format and we felt well-informed regarding the process. However, we felt like we were lead to believe that our chances of success were quite a bit higher than they actually were. We don't feel that Dr. Casey was realistic with us about our chances. Additionally, I was triggered on day 7 for two IVF egg retrievals (with egg retrieval on day 9). We were never told that triggering this early is very risky in regards to the chances of getting euploid embryos. Had we known the risks, we would not have decided to move forward with egg retrieval either time. We did really appreciate that Dr. Casey called us personally to report on PGS results, and she gave us her phone number to contact her if needed (without going through the phone triage system). We felt like we had access to her if we had any further questions.
I would recommend asking for very specific information regarding realistic chances of success, particularly for patients who are going into IVF with a lower chance of success (low ovarian reserve, low AMH, low AFC, history of a short follicular phase).
CRM is a very big and busy clinic, with many staff members. I had contact with many nurses during my treatment, and it was rare for any of them to really know the details of my case. There were several times (typically during phone calls) when I could tell that the nurses hadn't adequately reviewed my chart before calling. Having said that, there were a couple nurses who were better than the others, and who clearly tried their best to compassionately treat my husband and I as individuals going through a very difficult process.
For IUI, we used Follistim for about 5 days, triggered on day 8, had IUI on day 10, and became pregnant, but miscarried around 9 weeks. Our first IVF protocol was with Follistim (starting dose 225) and Menopur (1 vial per day), with Ganirelix. We triggered with Pregnyl on day 7 and had egg retrieval on day 9. 6 eggs retrieved/6 mature/5 fertilized with ICSI/1 blast (PGS abnormal). Our second IVF protocol was with Follistim (starting dose 275, I think), Menopur (2 vials per day), and microlupron (started 2 days prior to Follistim/Menopur). We triggered with Pregnyl on day 7 and had egg retrieval on day 9. 7 eggs retrieved/5 mature/4 fertilized with ICSI/2 blasts (both PGS abnormal).
The nurses at CRM were such a mixed bag. We had a few nurses who were so kind and compassionate and friendly and helpful. On the other hand, there are a few others who were unnecessarily blunt, unhelpful, and talked down to me (as if I knew nothing about my own body or what I'd already been through). It would have been very, very helpful if I'd had a primary nurse (or two) assigned to my care. It was really difficult to be working with a different nurse every day.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Again, this is a big clinic with a large number of patients. It is very easy to feel like you are just an anonymous number, which we really didn't like. Having said that, it is generally easy to schedule appointments, it is easy to get through to the front desk staff, and the nurses generally call back in a timely manner.
We paid about $12,000 per IVF cycle (plus the cost of PGS testing, which was about $3000).
Dr. Casey's approach was to do eSET with a PGS-tested euploid embryo. We were very much in favor of using this approach. Unfortunately, we never made any PGS normal embryos to transfer.
No comment.
Minneapolis

Dr. DeMario himself was very kind and gentle but doesn't sugar coat anything. He was up front about success rates and costs.... At CRM you only meet the doctor once, then you see nurses for the testing and treatment. Our appointment with Dr. DeMario went well. He was knowledge and obviously has a lot of experience. I didn't feel a strong personal connection with him, but I do feel good about his expertise.... I took clomid to stimulate egg growth
They are high end and very professional. There are many clients so care is not super personal, but you know that they know what they're doing. I am not sure if we may get a second opinion but for now I am comfortable working with the Center for Reproductive Medicine.... The nurses at the clinic vary in their attitudes - it really depends on who is working when you go in for your appointment.... $2,000 for one cycle of IUI
Take things one step at a time.
Dr. DeMario himself was very kind and gentle but doesn't sugar coat anything. He was up front about success rates and costs. The nurses at the clinic vary in their attitudes - it really depends on who is working when you go in for your appointment.
I took clomid to stimulate egg growth followed by two days on vaginal estrogen to help thicken the uteran lining. I then took a "trigger shot" to stimulate ovulation. Two days later, we did the IUI followed by two weeks of vaginal progesterone.
It really depends on the nurse.
$2,000 for one cycle of IUI

2017, Unknown Success
We received poor communication [from Dr. Dan Lebovic] regarding the treatment plan as well as diagnoses. Although compassionate in the first and only meeting, I do not feel that he is even directing my care due to the nurses making the care plan after a follow up and then checking with Dr. Lebovic later...A change in my care plan was presented to me at check-in by being asked to pay for an IUI up front, when IUI had never been discussed. It was later told to me by the nurse that Dr. Lebovic had charted this was the next step. This was not communicated to my husband or I prior to the appointment and obviously not by Dr. Lebovic. I requested a call from Dr. Lebovic and never did receive an apology.
[At Center for Reproductive Medicine] A recommended change in care plan was not communicated to me by the doctor but rather by requesting me to pay my out of pocket portion of the next procedure that had never been talked about. I was not taught how to administer my ovidrel. They sent my prescription to an incorrect pharmacy...They put the incorrect appointment time for my husbands sample and my IUI, even though they had written the agreed upon time on my take home sheet. They are often behind schedule 15 minutes to 30 minutes.
We received poor communication regarding the treatment plan as well as diagnoses. Although compassionate in the first and only meeting, I do not feel that he is even directing my care due to the nurses making the care plan after a follow up and then checking with Dr. Lebovic later.
Inquire at your initial meeting regarding his communication regarding the treatment plan as well as his direct incolvement with follow up appointments.
I have no clue if a specific protocol is being used. Our first cycle with Dr. Lebovic was 7.5 mg of Femara days 3-5. Ultrasound CD 2 and 10. Ovidrel shot on CD 11. Our second cycle was the same dosage of Femara then I was prescribed Follistim CD 7-9 with an ultrasound on CD 10. I was told to wait to trigger until CD 12, timed intercourse on CD 12 and IUI on CD 14. We are in the middle of our third cycle. Same plan as cycle 2 except when I went for my ultrasound on CD10 they wanted me to continue Follistim through CD 13 and I go back on CD14 for another ultrasound.
Poor customer service. Nobody introduces themselves nor do they answer the phone with their names. I'm constantly asking for more information regarding how other patients approach obtaining out of pocket medicines, prescriptions are sent to the wrong pharmacy, the nurse line is never answered which leads to leaving a voicemail which they do not listen to carefully and call back to "clarify" information that was left in the voicemail.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Customer service is a weakness. They do not answer phone with identifying themselves. They put the incorrect appointment time for my husbands sample and my IUI, even though they had written the agreed upon time on my take home sheet. They are often behind schedule 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I'm struggling to find a strength...they are open half days on weekends.
IUI - $284 Density Gradient- $388.70
Minneapolis

We didn't feel like we had any understanding of our treatment or what they could do for us to help us start a family. He [Dr. Mark Damario] basically read back our questionnaire when we met with him and kept reading and showing us statistics. The statistics were not encouraging at all. We were mostly confused and didn't have any idea what the plan was. He didn't explain chromosomal/genetic testing with us very well, even though I'm over 35 years old. He was big into selling us on buying multiple IVF sessions, but didn't really give us a reason why we would need to do IVF multiple times.
This clinic [Center for Reproductive Med of MN] had a long waiting period to see a doctor (months). When I had a fail IUI the nurse asked me what I wanted to do next, my answer I don't know, what are my options (cause I honestly didn't know) I said IVF? The nurse goes you need to make an appt with the doctor to discuss that and he is book for weeks. Found that very frustrating to not be able to see a patient in a timely matter especially when everything with this is timely.
We didn't feel like we had any understanding of our treatment or what they could do for us to help us start a family. He basically read back our questionnaire when we met with him and kept reading and showing us statistics. The statistics were not encouraging at all. We were mostly confused and didn't have any idea what the plan was. He didn't explain chromosomal/genetic testing with us very well, even though I'm over 35 years old. He was big into selling us on buying multiple IVF sessions, but didn't really give us a reason why we would need to do IVF multiple times.
For us, it was a blessing that our insurance had us switch clinics. This clinic was not the place for us. We do have friends that liked this clinic and Dr Darmario and had success here.
I felt like we had no direction in where to go with our treatments. We filled out a questionnaire and basically when we met with Dr. Damario he just read it back to us. My husband and I walked out of the clinic wondering if we should even continue. This clinic is where our insurance sent us first. Thankfully before we go fully into our treatment we were able to switch clinic and doctor. This was a night and day difference for us.
We did IUI because I had unexplained infertility and felt like it would work for us. Really with my age, we should of went straight to IVF and skipped IUI. Now it's clear to me why I was a great candidate for IVF, and not IUI. But this wasn't explained to me at this clinic.
The nursing staff was nice. When I was at this clinic they didn't have an online portal where you could easily ask questions. I found that very frustrating and a little old school to not be able to email a nurse with a simple question.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This clinic had a long waiting period to see a doctor (months). When I had a fail IUI the nurse asked me what I wanted to do next, my answer I don't know, what are my options (cause I honestly didn't know) I said IVF? The nurse goes you need to make an appt with the doctor to discuss that and he is book for weeks. Found that very frustrating to not be able to see a patient in a timely matter especially when everything with this is timely.
We did not do IVF with this clinic.
I had a hard time in the beginning getting my medication ordered. My insurance was telling me one pharmacy to use and the clinic was telling me another. Once I took control of double checking on my medication orders, this became much better.
St. Paul

DeMario did 2 FET's for us. Used the same protocol that Dr. Malo established for us 2 years earlier. Didn't change anything regardless of test results...He never remembered any details about my case. It seems like he didn't even review my file before any meeting. Consistently asked the same questions over and over...He is not compassionate, he doesn't see you as a person. Doesn't remember anything from prior meetings. Generally seems confused. Very frustrating for someone who is in a vulnerable position. I had no choice but to use him as my prior RE at the clinic retired. Total difference of night and day between DeMario and Malo. Dr Malo always knew where I was at and what my history was. Made me feel like a patient and not a payment, which is how I feel when I see DeMario.
Jan [nurse at CRM] has been there forever and is excellent; caring, compassionate, hard working, remembers you as a person...Feel like cattle. So many women processed through on any given morning. Care is not personalized...Quite expensive compared to national averages. Higher success rates though. FET $5k (plus meds)...DeMario did 2 FET's for us. Used the same protocol that Dr. Malo established for us 2 years earlier. Didn't change anything regardless of test results.
Go to the Minneapolis clinic and see a different RE in the CRM clinic.
Jan has been there forever and is excellent; caring, compassionate, hard working, remembers you as a person.

IUI With Other Docs
Dr. Casey was always very kind and made us feel comfortable. Because of the size of the clinic, we rarely saw her and contact was minimal and primainly done through nurses. Having a different doctor perform each procedure was also hard as we had to put our trust into a new person each step of the way. I think it would have been a different if we were able to work with Dr. Casey more frequently.
Large clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota-Minneapolis]...long waits for appointments at times, and getting booked for an IVF cycle. Communication was good. Procedures and protocols were clear. Nurses were good about returning phone calls... Very large clinic Minimal contact with doctor Very rarely were changes made to standard protocol... Fresh ivf - about 15,000 Frozen transfer- about 5,000
Dr. Casey is a caring doctor with a lot of expertise. Because of the size of the clinic, just be prepared to work with other doctors throughout your journey.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Large clinic...long waits for appointments at times, and getting booked for an IVF cycle. Communication was good. Procedures and protocols were clear. Nurses were good about returning phone calls
Fresh ivf - about 15,000 Frozen transfer- about 5,000
Minneapolis
Felt he [Dr. Damario] had a good ideas on what to do, but felt like I did have PCOS and no one was addressing that. As a doctor we liked him, he was very straightforward, doesn’t sugar coat anything, but the Minneapolis office left us not trusting the CRM name.... Ask for a detailed plan of your protocol. We never got that. Just named meds that we would use, but not the dose or why.... Only met one of the nurses and she talked a bit about the meds and a schedule and what would happen the day of retrieval.
CRM doesn’t have a clear protocol that they show their patients. I always asked what IVF would look like for us and never was given a clean answer. I think they need to have more protocols written down to show patients during the initial visit....Smaller office than the Minneapolis location; felt he [Dr. Damario] knew our story a little better than our previous doctor....Only met one of the nurses and she talked a bit about the meds and a schedule and what would happen the day of retrieval.
Felt he had a good ideas on what to do, but felt like I did have PCOS and no one was addressing that. As a doctor we liked him, he was very straightforward, doesn’t sugar coat anything, but the Minneapolis office left us not trusting the CRM name.
Smaller office than the Minneapolis location; felt he knew our story a little better than our previous doctor.
Never given a protocol.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Did not have any billing issues.
I know that he was okay with twins.