Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
201 Cedar St., S120
Albuquerque, NM 87106
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico to a friend?
1 doctor
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The clinic [Ctr for Repro Med] is good, the service is fast. it is hard to get the first appointment, we waited almost two months for it but after that the attention is very good, you get all the information about treatment during the first appointment, you have to ask a lot if you want to have details but they are nice and answer all the question.... I love Trisha, she is amazing, very compassionate and sweet, she made me feel so good every time I had to be in the clinic.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is good, the service is fast. it is hard to get the first appointment, we waited almost two months for it but after that the attention is very good, you get all the information about treatment during the first appointment, you have to ask a lot if you want to have details but they are nice and answer all the question.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jim Thompson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
I feel good with Dr. Thompson and his staff, especially Trisha. She has been an amazing nurse who helped us feel very relaxed during the IUIs. She answers all our questions and she is very sweet. Even though I am not pregnant yet I feel she gives us confidence it will happen.
They are amazing, I love Trisha, she is amazing, very compassionate and sweet, she made me feel so good every time I had to be in the clinic.
How was your experience with Jim Thompson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
He was very nice with us and answered all our question but We only saw him one time, during the first appointment then I saw him during one of my exams and that was it, we did not see him again. In fact, we are asking for an appointment with him to discuss our treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jim Thompson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
Ask all the information you can, read all you can about your options and treatment so you could ask more questions and if you are not sure about something ask to talk with DR. Thompson.
Describe the protocols Jim Thompson used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico and their degree of success.
I took clomid 50 mg for 3 months with intercourse during my ovulation days, using ovulation tests, I felt terrible the first two months, I had headaches and felt dizzy. it didnt work so we moved to IUI, same with clomid 50mg, the nurse saw my body responds to clomid and I didnt need the trigger shot because during the ultrasound she saw I was going to ovulated but both cycles didnt work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jim Thompson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
We paid like 2,000 for the medical exams and appointments, our insurance covered only the 10% and the first appointment. then we paid $564 for every IUI cycle.
Describe Jim Thompson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
I didnt talk with my doctor about it yet.
2013 - 2018
The clinic [Ctr for Repro Med of NM] is like a spa. It is beautiful and very friendly. When you walk in someone is always smiling greeting you! They have water, tea, coffee, snacks as you wait. You sometimes have to wait quite awhile as they are ALWAYS busy. But they always communicate with you as you wait. The nursing staff is AMAZING! They make you feel like family. Dr. C has a great sense of humor, and is very friendly. They are an amazing staff and ensure each of their patients are known and taken care of!
2013 - 2018
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is like a spa. It is beautiful and very friendly. When you walk in someone is always smiling greeting you! They have water, tea, coffee, snacks as you wait. You sometimes have to wait quite awhile as they are ALWAYS busy. But they always communicate with you as you wait. The nursing staff is AMAZING! They make you feel like family. Dr. C has a great sense of humor, and is very friendly. They are an amazing staff and ensure each of their patients are known and taken care of!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lee Caperton at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
He is very personal with his patients. He cares as does his whole staff. He once called me on a family vacation to give test results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Vigil)
She is very knowledgeable and so caring, she makes you feel welcome and is always available when you need her!
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
How was your experience with Lee Caperton at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
Dr. Caperton is very knowledgeable, he is very upfront and does not sugar coat anything. He is not the dr that will tell you want to hear, he is very honest. All his nursing staff is very sweet and easy to talk to.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lee Caperton at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
Be ready for the truth of infertility no matter how hard it is to hear.
Describe the protocols Lee Caperton used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico and their degree of success.
We began withIUI’s with dr c, once the 4th one didn’t work we had the cold hard truth from him and on to IVF. we had MFI. So he double checked the sperm to ensure we would have enough for IVF. He started us on Lupron and birth control. We had monitoring appointments and once my body was ready he started me on Follitism and Menopur and began monitoring my follicles. Once the follicles were ready we triggered and had egg retrieval 2 days later. Egg retrieval was quick (it felt like it anyway) everyone was very excited the moment I walked in. He came in after i woke up to give me the number of eggs, and sent me home. I got updates every other day. Once PGS results came in, he called personally while he was on vacation with his family( the results weren’t great). He wanted to personally let me know that only one out of 8 embryos came back normal. We met with him the week after to go over specifics. And set my transfer for November. I began birth control and Lupron. Then began patches a couple weeks before then PIO 5 days before. The nurse showed me exactly how to do each injection. Transfer day came, and again i walked in and everyone was very excited and friendly. The transfer was quick and Dr. C went over every step. Unfortunately the embryo did not take, I was heartbroken but the nurses were very comforting and let me know they were there if I needed anything. I will begin my 2nd IVF hopefully soon once we save money to try again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lee Caperton at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
21,000 out of pocket is what was paid just for IVF. I did IUI but it was 3 years prior to IVF
Describe Lee Caperton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Dr C is very adamant (depending on age and quality) of only transferring PGS tested embryos. He only likes to transfer 1 embryo per transfer. But will transfer more if the patient would like.
Albuquerque
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
I loved the staff [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico]. I spent a lot of time there to say the least and they were always very welcoming. The office was beautiful and clean and I never had to wait long. They also provided early morning appointments which really helped our own hectic schedule...Rachel, Chrissy and Ashley [nurses] were wonderful and I was sad to say goodbye to them. They were simply incredible and I cherish each of them.
European, Latino
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
I loved the staff. I spent a lot of time there to say the least and they were always very welcoming. The office was beautiful and clean and I never had to wait long. They also provided early morning appointments which really helped our own hectic schedule.
The staff at Caperton Fertility were wonderful and very supportive of our journey to conceive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
Rachel, Chrissy and Ashley were wonderful and I was sad to say goodbye to them. They were simply incredible and I cherish each of them.
Dr. Caperton was honest with my partner and I from the start about the challenges we faced because of my age. I was just about to turn 41 years old when I started treatment after having two back to back miscarriages. We started slowly with minimal treatment because that was my preference and then moved to IUI and finally IVF. After 3 failed IVF's that never made it to retrieval because of my poor ovarian reserve I somehow became pregnant at the age of 42. I am now in my second trimester with a healthy baby girl. My partner and I were grateful that when things did not work out in one cycle he always had a plan for the next. He was very honest with me about my situation, and at times I wish he was a little more optimistic and that I could actually get through without a donor. The very day we contacted a donor I was interested in was also the day I found out I was pregnant. By that time I had very little hope that I could ever conceive with my own eggs, but I did! I know I am an exception and a lot of women are not as lucky as we are. I appreciate all of the care I received from him and I am also an aunt to twin nieces that are from the help of Dr. Caperton. He is a great doctor and I knew I was always in the very best hands.
Never give up! He has the same mission the patients do and will always be up front and honest with you.
I started with Femara and moved on to injectibles with IUI. We had the donor discussion from the start due to my age, but we were not ready to go there. We moved on to IVF but never made it to retrieval due to poor response. I tried IVF with lupron, lupron flare and Estrogen priming. All resulted in one or two eggs. We did not proceed with retrieval due to the concerns of chromosomal abnormalities. After the third try that had same results we decided to really look into a donor and I was tired and just ready to give up. We conceived naturally and I am now in my second trimester at 42 years old with a healthy baby girl.
Over $20,000
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
PCOS, Unexplained
We'd have a conversation with the nurse [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico], I'd take crumby stress-garbled notes, and then go home and second guess what I had to do. The nursing staff immediately noticed we needed a little extra handholding in this department, and took the time to give us a very detailed write up and calendar at all our subsequent visits. Ashley walked us through each step with the utmost patience and understanding.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is spacious and inviting, with lots of little spaces for private meetings outside of the exam rooms. The waiting area is very comfortable and has a large TV. Do you like HGTV? I hope so, because you'll be watching a lot of it as you chub water to fill your bladder for that ultrasound.
I can't say enough good things about the nursing staff at Caperton's office. They always made us feel welcomed, heard, and understood. Though Caperton isn't a warm and fuzzy guy, I appreciated his matter-of-fact, let's-get-this-done, no-nonsense attitude. He has an almost laid back way of carrying himself that I actually found quite comforting; it sort of balanced all the anxiety I often had churning inside me.
I absolutely loved working with the nursing staff at Caperton's office. My husband and I are busy people and we initially struggled a bit to keep track of all the procedures and things we had to do at home. We'd have a conversation with the nurse, I'd take crumby stress-garbled notes, and then go home and second guess what I had to do. The nursing staff immediately noticed we needed a little extra handholding in this department, and took the time to give us a very detailed write up and calendar at all our subsequent visits. Ashley walked us through each step with the utmost patience and understanding.
What I appreciated most about Caperton was his commitment to making scientifically informed decisions. He seemed up to date on the research, and would often talk us through the pros and cons of things like endometrial scratching, and then make the case for why he thought it was the best course of action. He ultimately left these choices up to us, but wasn't shy about making a strong argument for what he felt was the scientifically backed choice. This made us feel both informed and empowered. Though the vast majority of my interactions with Caperton were overwhelmingly positive, I think he could improve in his ability to empathize with the emotional side of the infertility. On one occasion, I became tearful during an appointment and he made what I know was a well intentioned but poorly timed comment about their clinic providing mental health and counseling referrals. What I needed was a "there, there, it'll be okay," not a referral to a counselor, but I appreciate that he was willing to acknowledge my emotions and attempted to point me toward a resource that he thought could help.
Count on Caperton for research backed, thoughtfully applied procedures. Count on his amazing nursing team for moral support.
We had a progressively more involved and more expensive experience, building from clomid alone to clomid plus IUI to clomid plus sperm washing plus IUI and eventually to IVF. At every step of the way Caperton was straight forward about the likely success rates of each procedure, and he never dawdled repeating failed procedures that he felt were unlikely to yield new results. This approach left us feeling like he respected our time, money, and the emotional energy we were putting into the whole endeavor. I never felt like he was winging it.
When it was all said and done, we spent around $30,000.
Caperton is a strong advocate for single embryo transfers (and his high success rates back this preference). We were on board with the single transfer, but if you strongly felt that you wanted to transfer more than one embryo, it might be a hard sell.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Caperton Fertility does an excellent job of making you feel welcome. It’s a very unnerving and emotional time but they make it easier. They are all so kind. One weakness I’ve noticed is communicating the financial side. A print out including what is due and what it all includes would be awesome. There have been a few times I received a bill that I was unaware of....Ashley is simply amazing. She is just so very kind and compassionate and makes me feel at complete ease.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Dr. Caperton has personally reached out to me, as well as than the nurses, with embryo updates and just checking in when times were tough. My husband and I can sense how much he cares every time we see him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Ashley )
Ashley is simply amazing. She is just so very kind and compassionate and makes me feel at complete ease. I can’t imagine working with women who experience their highest highs and their lowest lows, but she handles it with such grace and she gives me so much hope. Love her!
As soon as Dr. Caperton heard our story at the consultation, he dove right in and for the first time ever my husband and I felt taken care of. That someone actually cares and is going to help us get pregnant. He is very confident which put us at ease when it came to procedure time and what steps to move forward. He makes the money regardless if the treatments work or not, but you don’t feel that AT ALL. He makes it his personal mission to get you pregnant, and stay pregnant, and you can tell it’s upsetting to him if it doesn’t work. I fully trust him and his direction.
Trust him. He isn’t going to sugar coat things and may be a little blunt, but he knows what he’s doing and he cares!
Diagnosed with PCOS and endo, along with ITP. Trying to conceive for 5 years and not a single positive. After lots of tests we jumped into ivf since it would be near impossible getting pregnant any other way. I can’t recall exact medications and dosages, but I do know it took a few days longer than the planned egg retrieval date due to my PCOS. Lots of follicles just not very big. After the right about of meds they got to the right size! Dr. Caperton retrieved over 50 eggs. Of that amount 37 were mature. I think we chose 12 eggs to fertilize, and of the 12, 10 made it to day 5. After PGS testing 5 embryos came back viable. Dr. Caperton only does frozen transfers of one embryo. First transfer took but I miscarried early on. Jumped into meds for second transfer. Got some positive blood draws for hcg but quickly went down, chemical pregnancy. Dr. Caperton recommended a 3 month lupron depot treatment for my endometriosis so that’s what we did. Except it didn’t work. He actually found polyps in the uterus he needed to remove. But we are moving forward with our third transfer which is in 4 days. We are transferring two good quality embryos and hoping that this is our time!
I think for the initial ivf cycle which included egg retrieval and FET, it was around $14K, then PGS testing was about $3K. Meds were around $2K.
Dr. Caperton is very strict about only transferring one! And I agreed with him completely. He explained why and it made perfect sense. After everything we went through he suggested transferring two for this transfer and we are doing it. Very grateful.. I feel there is a better chance of at least one implanting and sticking around!
Endometriosis, Unexplained
The scheduling department [at Center for Reproductive Med of NM] was very curt, not warm/welcoming/excitement inducing. Most of the nurses were incredible and very helpful and made you feel welcomed. Dr Thompson was similar to the scheduling staff in manor.... The nursing staff were incredibly warm and compassionate - which is what is needed in an industry dealing with fertility. They never made ya feel like we were asking stupid questions and always made sure we left with confidence in our treatment.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
It would have been nice to have someone call or remind us when different medications were to be started/stopped/increased/decreased. We were given a calendar that had everything written on it but that extra personal touch would have been nice.
I felt like neither a number nor a human - if anything, I felt more like just a number. The scheduling department was very curt, not warm/welcoming/excitement inducing. Most of the nurses were incredible and very helpful and made you feel welcomed. Dr Thompson was similar to the scheduling staff in manor.
I had seen Dr Thompson for diagmosement of endometriosis prior to seeing him for fertility treatments. I understand that he sees many patients but when we decided to go to him for fertility treatment, he acted like he had no clue who I was (even with my chart in his hand showing that he had performed a laparoscopy a few years earlier). I also understand that with the amount of patients he sees, you might not get as personal of a visit as you’d like - BUT the business he is in requires a bit of compassion and warmth that seemed to be lacking more often than not.
Go in with an open mind and keep your faith that God has a plan for you!
I don’t remember many specifics - just that we did injections and estrogen patches and everything worked out as planned!
We were billed as treatments went on so we didn’t have to pay a lump sum up front. We had diffferent costa Associates with the Doctor, the medications, and the hospital/anesthesia
Dr Thompson had mentioned when we started our IVF cycle that we could implant a few embryos depending on the condition of them. My husband and I had genetic testing done on the embryos (which is HIGHLY RECOMMEND) and found that we had 2 viable embryos. After weighing all options, we decided to have both implanted. Dr Thompson was very hesitant to implant both, suggesting that we just do one at a time. We knew the tiara associated with a multiple pregnancy and wanted to proceed as such. It was incredibly hard/frustrating to finally get the doctor to agree to implant both. Apparently implanting two embryos was going against his protocol - but he had mentioned we could implant multiple in our original consultation.
Albuquerque
The nursing staff and IVF care coordinator were amazing! They always addressed me by name and always seemed to remember our exact issues without having to look up our file. Our IVF coordinator took the time to fully explain everything that entailed with IVF and made sure we understood.... Overall, this clinic [Ctr for Repro Med New Mexico] is great! The doctor is very educated in his field and has been a Reproductive Endocrinologist for almost 40 years. I was told that Dr. Thompson was so good at what he did, that he could get a rock pregnant. Now that's good!
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Overall, this clinic is great! The doctor is very educated in his field and has been a Reproductive Endocrinologist for almost 40 years. I was told that Dr. Thompson was so good at what he did, that he could get a rock pregnant. Now that's good!
Dr. Jim Thompson was great with my husband and myself. He was able to quickly and accurately diagnose our infertility situation, as my OB/GYN was not able to accurately diagnose me. Within just a few weeks of a correct diagnosis, I underwent surgery to remove both of my Fallopian tubes due to a blockage and hydrosalpinx. He handled our case with care and concern and delicately advised us of what kind of treatment we would require in order to have a child of our own, which turned out to be IVF. His staff made a few calls to us to check on us periodically while we have been trying to save money for IVF. I would definitely recommend Dr. Thompson to anyone who is in need of extensive fertility care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Sheila)
Dr. Thompson always cared for us as individuals rather than just another number to mark off at the end of the day. He explained things in such a way that we could understand and always made sure we understood everything before the end of our appointments.
Dr. Thompson won't tell you or suggest any kind of treatment that he does not think will not work for you. He is always upfront and honest, but advises his patients in a way that will not get your hopes up about anything.
Upon reviewing the footage from a procedure I had at another facility, he was able to quickly and accurately pinpoint the issues I was having and was able to create a treatment plan that would best work for us.
All costs associated with treatment I received was covered by my insurance, therefore there were not any out of pocket costs.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
[At The Fertility Center of New Mexico] IVF with ICSI and monitoring/blood tests included was U$ 17,000.00 Medications were not included. PGS was separate as well. The baseline cost for PGS was U$ 2,500. There was a fee if you had more than 8 embryos to be tested. The first appointments were submitted through insurance. These were appointments before we confirmed we were doing IVF with them. Average, I think it was U$ 300 for each when not including ultrasounds before insurance covered it (they charge the first ultrasound). Semen analysis are also out of pocket as well. We payed U$ 100.00 for one analysis. They were nice to make us a deal for sperm freezing. We paye
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Strengths: it's very convenient the clinic is inside a hospital. That makes me feel safe somehow even though they have their separate clinic. The blood tests can be done in the hospital, so it's very convenient as well. Dr. Reed, the head embryologist, is very knowledgeable and he is very caring and explains all details if you ask. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have given a chance to try IVF in this clinic. He said to Dr. Thompson he would take our case given our severity. Weaknesses: They don't provide a detailed written fertilization report because they simply don't take notes of each day when the embryo/cells are developing. The only thing they have it's a computer sheet they fill out for each day stating if the cells cleaved or not, with some acronyms about the embryo stage and quality. I was very disappointed with the other embryologist. We wanted to talk with him after our complete failed IVF and I never saw a person shake like him (nervous I guess) when he was trying to explain the fertilization "report". He basically didn't remember how our fertilization developed (later in the conversation we found out it was because they don't take notes) and he was giving us a lecture on embryology instead and not giving specific answers for our case. He blamed my eggs and my husband sperm. Little he knows the protocol plays a big role. From all this experience, I feel Dr. Thompson and the embryology lab live in different worlds in this clinic. Dr. Thompson says in the follow up he would do the same protocol on me because I responded well and my eggs were great. In the same follow up, the embryologist without the presence of Dr. Thompson says my eggs were crappy and Dr. Thompson would change my protocol to improve things. They don't communicate or have a strategy that they are on the same page and the same happened with other things throughout the process.
I felt that all the times we had appointments with the Dr. he was very eager to see the next patient while still answering our questions. That made us feel like a number. I felt he was bothered with us when we asked important details about the treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Coordinator: Sheila, nurse: Trish)
The nurse coordinator there gets a little irritated if you call her back again with the same questions. It's a difficult time and it's ok to ask same questions again even when you have forgotten you already asked them. Overall the nurse coordinator is organized and polite. She answered all our questions when possible in the first appointment. After that, I saw my nurse for the monitoring. Trish was lovely, compassionate. She would answer all my questions making sure I understood the answers and she would return my calls the same day. Very patient in explaining the injections. She is adorable. I am not sure about the other nurses though. She was the one throughout my monitoring during the week. On weekends, the nurse coordinator does the monitoring.
Dr. Thompson is a traditional doctor; he follows the book. Meaning that he won't take into account patient recommendations and concerns. For example, we found out a couple of days prior to starting stims with him that the IVF protocol used can play a big role on the quality of the eggs. We scheduled an appointment just to share our concern with that since the protocol he recommended was very high dose for me. He basically said it has been 20 years he has done this practice and he didn't believe the facts we were sharing with him were true and relevant. He was staring at us like we were crazy people. Therefore, he is a very traditional doctor, he won't take current research or patient research into account. Another example of that is when after our complete IVF failure he said he would do the same thing all over again. I always felt rushed in appointments with him. Off course he was listening to us but was all the time mentioning he had to see the next patient instead. He seemed a calm person though, he never raised his voice. He wasn't optimistic about our case. He was ALWAYS bringing donor sperm into the table even after we said we would not like to proceed with that route. I liked he was around in the clinic most of the times. Like for example, during the monitoring, he was there one day to take notes when the nurse coordinator was measuring the follicules. But I think that's an exception since the nurse staff are not there during weekends.
Since I didn't have a good experience regarding the IVF protocol used for me, I'd recommend a prospective patient to ask ahead of time (the first appointment with him) which protocol is going to be used and why. They don't give details like that unless you ask. I would also not decide to go ahead with an IVF here just for convenience of avoiding to travel outside of state. Look for the best options for you and your case. Don't feel like your doctor is the boss because that's exactly the feeling I got from Dr. Thompson.
Because I have one ovary, Dr. Thompson's strategy was to overstimulate me which doesn't necessarily mean is a good and reasonable strategy. There are papers out there that prove the opposite. Since he is a very traditional doctor, in his words, he put me on a protocol he puts everyone else on. He doesn't tailor protocols according to the patient history. Before stimming, I was put on birth control for 40 days (another problem). Once I stopped birth control and my baseline ultrasound was clear (no cysts) I started stims the next day. I was on 225 IU follistim and 150 IU menopur from day 1 for 9 days without adjusting my dosage (not lower not higher). On day 6 of stims he added ganirelix (250 mcg) and I took it for 3 days. I administered follistim in the mornings and menopur in the nights according to their instructions. Then, I triggered on the 9th day of stimming with HCG 10k units. They retrieved 10 eggs, 8 were mature, 4 fertilized, and one made it to blastocyst (day 6). Did PGS testing and a week later found out the embryo was aneuploid (extra chromosome). We decided not to transfer it. The protocol damaged my eggs since I am young (31 yo) and I was in a pretty healthy diet and supplements for 1 year before IVF.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
They scheduled us for a specific time but since they were always running late we would be assisted around 1-2 hours window from our scheduled time. This was very inconvenient since we needed to go back to work but we didn't know the exact time we would be done. In the late stages though it was faster because not everyone was responding the same so there were few people.
IVF with ICSI and monitoring/blood tests included was U$ 17,000.00 Medications were not included. PGS was separate as well. The baseline cost for PGS was U$ 2,500. There was a fee if you had more than 8 embryos to be tested. The first appointments were submitted through insurance. These were appointments before we confirmed we were doing IVF with them. Average, I think it was U$ 300 for each when not including ultrasounds before insurance covered it (they charge the first ultrasound). Semen analysis are also out of pocket as well. We payed U$ 100.00 for one analysis. They were nice to make us a deal for sperm freezing. We payed U$ 1,000.00 for many vials of frozen sperm. I believe for one vial it's around U$ 300.00.
2012 - 2016
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr Caperton has worked with several other doctors and labs to help find the right process for us. He has recommended several things particularly in our case because of our situation. He has given our case the extra attention it has needed and shows interest in us and how our ivf has impacted our lives. He is smart, funny and an excellent physician. He is constantly reading and doing research in his field and adjusting treatment of his patients accordingly...Dr Caperton has worked with several other doctors and labs to help find the right process for us. He has recommended several things particularly in our case because of our situation. He has given our case the extra attention it has needed and shows interest in us and how our ivf has impacted our lives. He is smart, funny and an excellent physician. He is constantly reading and doing research in his field and adjusting treatment of his patients accordingly...
2012 - 2016
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The new facility and technology is fantastic. It is comfortable, clean, modern and easy to find. They are just getting going though, opened July 1st, so please be patient as they are getting all the office routines figured out. The lab has been tested and they did some runs with mouse embryos before using everything for the first time on human eggs, sperm and embryos. The medicine of the office is efficient and well run. We were much more pleased with the new office than the set up with the old one.
We are an unusual case in that my husband had childhood cancer and Dr Caperton has worked with several other doctors and labs to help find the right process for us. We live 6 hours away from the CFI so Dr Caperton constantly is making efforts to limit our need for unnecessary trips. We have spent many hours(many after business hours) on the phone to save us travel time. I have his cell phone number and he answers my calls and texts quickly and is kind and compassionate as well as effective and straightforward. He helped us find a fantastic place for dinner when we were staying in Albuquerque during an egg retrieval monitoring trip that included my husband's birthday. He's also given us a large discount as returning patients that have not been able to complete an embryo transfer yet. Most of all I got the stomach flu days after an egg retrieval and when we called him, at 9 at night, he gave my situation great attention and walked my husband through taking some of my vitals to assess my situation from 6 hours away. He told us what we needed to do, go get an IV for dehydration, how to communicate that to our local physicians.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Sabrina )
Amazing, kind, skilled, helpful, compassionate, friendly and intelligent.
We are an unusual case in that my husband had childhood cancer and Dr Caperton has worked with several other doctors and labs to help find the right process for us. He has recommended several things particularly in our case because of our situation. He has given our case the extra attention it has needed and shows interest in us and how our ivf has impacted our lives. He is smart, funny and an excellent physician. He is constantly reading and doing research in his field and adjusting treatment of his patients accordingly. He just built a state of art office and lab and recruited top talent for the new facility. He helped Pioneer the process of vitrification of embryos to improve success in storage, thawing and survival of stored embryos. We live 6 hours away from the CFI so Dr Caperton constantly is making efforts to limit our need for unnecessary trips. We have spent many hours(many after business hours) on the phone to save us travel time. I have his cell phone number and he answers my calls and texts quickly and is kind and compassionate as well as effective and straightforward. He helped us find a fantastic place for dinner when we were staying in Albuquerque during an egg retrieval monitoring trip that included my husband's birthday. He's also given us a large discount as returning patients that have not been able to complete an embryo transfer yet. I got the stomach flu days after an egg retrieval and when we called him, at 9 at night, he gave my situation great attention and walked my husband through taking some of my vitals to assess my situation from 6 hours away. He told us what we needed to do, go get an IV for dehydration, how to communicate that to our local physicians.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. He and his staff seem busy and are, but they always find time to answer your questions, often even after business hours
We started undergoing ivf from the start because the only way to get sperm from my husband is surgically due to his childhood cancer. Thus we started with sort of a clean slate. Our first ivf protocol was a typical lupron cycle with menopur and follistem. We retrieved 21 eggs but only 1 embryo survived to day 5 to be biopsied for pre-genetic screening. It was abnormal. After our unexpected poor results, he changed my meds to a ganarelix cycle with lower doses of menopur and follistem to achieve a slower growth rate in the eggs. We then got 18 eggs, a higher percentage was mature and 3 embryos made it to day 5/6 biopsy. One came back indeterminate and two were again abnormal. After several hours together on the phone and being cognizant of the emotional and stressful side effects I was experiencing, Dr Caperton suggested we wait to do another cycle until his new office and lab was ready and suggested I should restart taking a mild antidepressants. I was concerned with side-effects of the citalopram to an embro or fetus and he and I decided the stress was just as bad for our egg and embryo development. We are going to stop taking the antidepressant before our FET later this year. The new cycle we just completed two weeks ago included ganarelix, gonal F due to a supply issue with follistem, menopur and letrozole with a good prenatal and DHEA supplement (something he had been reading articles about). This was all in hopes of improving our egg quality as our sperm was already disadvantaged from being strategically retrieved and from a cancer survivor treated with chemo and radiation. We got 27 eggs, 22 were mature and 14 fertilized. 6 survived to be biopsied and vitrified in addition to a thaw and rebiopsy of the indeterminate one from last time. The embryologist called today and 3 were genetically normal! Getting scheduled for a transfer later this year.
$14000ish global fee as needed patients , no insurance coverage, then $10,000 for existing patients
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Great location [Center for Reproductive Med of NM] and interior. Appears clean professional and welcoming. Great acess to bathrooms and waiting room is comfortable and welcoming. Sometimes can be cold, wear a jacket and socks to procedures. Easy to schedule appointments and have questions answered.... [Nursing Staff] Personable, knowledgeable, kind. Highly organized caring staff with excellent teamwork.... Diagnostic testing was covered by insurance 70%.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Great location and interior. Appears clean professional and welcoming. Great acess to bathrooms and waiting room is comfortable and welcoming. Sometimes can be cold, wear a jacket and socks to procedures. Easy to schedule appointments and have questions answered.
Caring staff
Kind, personable. He puts you at ease by being silly and easy going. I wish he had more time after appointments to discuss results, next steps, etc. Its hard to ask questions/express concerns when you're half naked, laying on a table.
Do your research on procedures, risks, diagnoses before appointments, don't rely on the doctor to walk you through it.
After diagnostics he prescribed 2.5mg letrozole for cycle days 5-9. I do not have any issues ovulating so no trigger shot was needed. The letrozole was just to help follicle production and to potentially shift ovulation towards the middle of the cycle instead of too late. We have male factor infertility so the iui was to help with that and my low cervical fluid.
Diagnostic testing was covered by insurance 70%. My 30% for hysteroscopy was $190, for hsg $320. IUI was not covered but they gave a 25% discount. We paid $560. Appears to be cheaper than national averages of procedures.
Albuquerque
The clinic [Ctr for Repro Med of NM] is clean and very esthetically pleasing. The staff is generally friendly on the phone and in person. The main critique is that it would be better if there were one coordinator or nurse assigned to each patient who is directly involved in the specific patient's treatment so that there is less confusion on treatment or next steps. Otherwise, they all work together well to get a patient in and treatment completed.
European, Latino
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is clean and very esthetically pleasing. The staff is generally friendly on the phone and in person. The main critique is that it would be better if there were one coordinator or nurse assigned to each patient who is directly involved in the specific patient's treatment so that there is less confusion on treatment or next steps. Otherwise, they all work together well to get a patient in and treatment completed.
The staff is all very personable. I feel that IVF is encouraged more than other forms of fertility treatments, but they are still very capable and willing to perform other treatments as requested or discussed. Not much actual interaction with Lee Caperton since the first consultation visit, mainly nurses and assistants.
I have worked with the nursing staff the majority of the time. They have been helpful and compassionate. It would be more helpful if I were assigned to one go-to nurse, but it is usually whomever is available or working that day.
I did not have much interaction with him except for the introduction appointment. He seems to be very direct and straightforward. I have mostly worked with and been seen by the nurses and assistants and PA.
It may be helpful to do some research on your own of options other than IVF prior to seeing Dr. Lee Caperton.
There has not been a specific strategy this far. I have mostly been in charge of my own treatment and scheduling.
IUI is about $700 per treatment. IVF is about $20,000.
I do not have experience with embryo transfer, but according to Dr. Caperton, they only do single embryo transfers so as not to end up with multiples. I think this is a good approach.
Albuquerque
Trisha and Julia [nurses at Center for Reproductive Med of NM] were both totally professional, compassionate, and highly skilled. I also worked with Grace who is really new and seems hesitant but with those two experts to mentor her she has a golden opportunity... There is one admin there whose customer service training needs work. She is very short and has canned answers and ends calls with 'ok' click. I work in service and expect everyone I work with to close calls with 'thank you' and an offer of additional assistance.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Dr. Thompson and Trisha were wonderful. Trisha has a friendliness, warmth, and presence that's rare to find anywhere. Dr. Thompson (and Trisha) always took time to answer all my questions, even ones that were well outside his area of expertise.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Trisha and Julia were great! )
Trisha and Julia were both totally professional, compassionate, and highly skilled. I also worked with Grace who is really new and seems hesitant but with those two experts to mentor her she has a golden opportunity.
He was knowledgable and kind. Not the warmest person at first but neither am I or anyone in my family so I don't mind that. I always felt he was present, overheard him recording his notes about our first visit and they were extensive so I think he was giving me full attention.
see him as a professional, not a warm and fuzzy comforter
3 IUI, IVF
Very busy clinic [Ctr for Repro Med of NM] with a very small waiting area. There are only about six chairs. There are usually people standing and waiting outside. Very friendly staff. Also it is in the basement of the hospital so there is no cell phone reception which makes for a boring wait....Very friendly.... Around $12,000 for a freeze all IVF cycle with no genetic testing. $3,500 for frozen embryo transfer. No medications included.
3 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Very busy clinic with a very small waiting area. There are only about six chairs. There are usually people standing and waiting outside. Very friendly staff. Also it is in the basement of the hospital so there is no cell phone reception which makes for a boring wait.
Very busy office.
Very friendly.
He is very friendly. I decided not to get my eggs genetically tested for moral reasons. The only thing I don’t like about him is every time I see or talk to him he gives me little hope of getting pregnant because he always has to remind me that my eggs were not tested. They didn’t genetically test eggs 10 years ago and women were still able to conceive.
If you don’t want to hear that your embryos may not work because you choice not to have them genetically tested every time you go to the doctor go to another doctor.
He has used the same protocol for both transfer and has not discussed changing it even though neither transfer has worked. Birth control for two weeks 10ml Lupron Low dose aspirin Then progesterone shots after transfer.
He transfers two embryos at a time
2014 - 2018
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
The clinic [Ctr for Repro Med of NM] is private (location wise) and that’s a strength in my view. I wish they were better at suggesting therapy and support group. It’s also easy to forget that new patients are walking in scared and with no knowledge. They could slow down and make sure not to skip information.... All members of the nursing staff have been kind and helpful.... IVF is about $14,000 to the clinic. This does not include meds, genetic testing, or acupuncture. FET is $3,400 not including meds.
2014 - 2018
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is private (location wise) and that’s a strength in my view. I wish they were better at suggesting therapy and support group. It’s also easy to forget that new patients are walking in scared and with no knowledge. They could slow down and make sure not to skip information.
Thompson shows his hopes and disappointments. I wish the treatment was more personalized but he sees me.
All members of the nursing staff have been kind and helpful.
Dr Thompson was blunt but compassionate. My first transfer was a success so we were all overconfident for the 2nd and 3rd. We’re back to plan for the worst hope for the best this 4th and last transfer.
Ask all your questions and understand this is routine for him. Sometimes he forget to go slow.
Thompson starts with a standard protocol for your diagnosis and adjusts while monitoring. Over the 4 years I’ve been with him he has made adjustments as studies have indicated to.
With me Dr Thompson has been cautious. He is more willing to do multiple embryos when you do not have other children.
2012
The nursing staff [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico] was wonderful...The clinic is great...He [Dr. Caperton] needs serious education about the LGBT community and respect. I would not recommend him to my worst enemy. We ended up going to the clinic manager to request a transfer to the other Dr. After the first visit.
2012
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is great, besides Dr. Caperton.
Dr. Caperton was completely unprofessional. He asked questions that were wildly inappropriate that had nothing to do with our procedures or situation. His inappropriate questions were due to his own curiosity and when we appeared uncomfortable or avoided these questions he would keep pressing for answers. We are a family where one partner is transgender. Dr. Caperton asked questions about genitals, surgery, and our sex life that had nothing to do with the procedure or care we were seeking. He could tell we were uncomfortable and we even told him it was none of his business, but he still continued to pry. He needs serious education about the LGBT community and respect. I would not recommend him to my worst enemy. We ended up going to the clinic manager to request a transfer to the other Dr. After the first visit.
The nursing staff was wonderful.
He asks completely inappropriate questions out of curiosity and is arrogant. He seems to think he is doing people a favor with his "gifts" rather than helping families bring children in to the world. He disgusts me.
Don't go to him, there are other choices for care in Albuquerque.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
It's [Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico] very clean and homey.. very comfortable feeling Only downside is there is a kids area which after going through this struggle is sometimes hard to see children around, but also can be a promising sign.... All [nurses] very caring and compassionate. Very happy and upbeat... He [Dr. Caperton] is very good at creating an individualized plan and if something isn't working he is cautiously blunt and tells all the risks and what his expert opinion on next steps would be.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
It's very clean and homey.. very comfortable feeling Only downside is there is a kids area which after going through this struggle is sometimes hard to see children around, but also can be a promising sign.
The staff is so caring and understanding, makes me feel very welcomed
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
All very caring and compassionate. Very happy and upbeat
He is very good at creating an individualized plan and if something isn't working he is cautiously blunt and tells all the risks and what his expert opinion on next steps would be. I felt comfortable telling him what my main concerns were and he always addressed them in a timely manner.
He is a great doctor and typically communicates well, just ensure that if you don't fully understand don't be scared to ask questions
Initial protocol was a lot more meds than the second protocol and after two low quality retrievals we did a much more expensive hgh protocol which worked a lot better due to my egg quality not being so great
Genetic testing $2300
Success rate is higher with single embryo transfer is what I've been told
2012 - 2014
The nursing staff [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico] was always kind and wanted to get to know us; they treated us more as friends than just a number...The clinic is attached to a major hospital which put us at ease. The only weakness is the parking situation is a pain...My insurance covered the everything except copays
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Dr. Thompson was always kind to us and explained procedures and processes when we had questions.
The nursing staff was always kind and wanted to get to know us; they treated us more as friends than just a number.
We saw another Dr before Dr. Thompson and had a poor experience. Dr. Thompson knew what he was doing and was compassionate. He consistently answered our questions and treated us with kindness. Not once did we feel mistreated by him. He has great bedside manner and adjusted our treatment as needed.
As with any Dr., ask questions. Dr. Thompson proved to be educated and trustworthy!
My insurance covered the everything except copays
2012 - 2014
The clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico] is small, is on the S 1 level of Presbyterian Hospital, they use the hospital operating room, radiology, etc...All the staff there is really good, everyone knows what are they doing....I think they need to update their system. All the charts are in paper, nothing digital. They send you staff by regular mail and fax but not email or any digital system.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
I'm not sure what to say, the clinic is small, is on the S 1 level of Presbyterian Hospital, they use the hospital operating room, radiology, etc.
Dr. Caperton and the nurses were always nice and compassionate while we were their patients, some appointments (mostly follow ups) it seems that he was rushing to get us out of his office.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Sheila and Mayra)
All the staff there is really good, everyone knows what are they doing.
Dr. Caperton was always nice but after our 3 years under his care we don't think he did the best for us. I did 2 full IVF cycles, 3 transfers with negative results. I wish I had more information from the very beginning.
Look for another clinic out of state.
He used antagonist and agonists protocols, I don't remember the espeficifcs but I remember being on a high dose of Follistim and Menopour with a dosage of Lupron before I started the cycle.
I don't remember the exact amount but it was around $20,000 per cycle plus medicine and PGS testing.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Everyone at the clinic [Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico-Albuquerque] was warm and remembered me. I had one nurse the was my primary contact and was present for most of my appointments...They were on time, courteous, and excellent about getting my phone calls addressed efficiently...I had insurance that covered some of the cost so I believe the cost for me per cycle was about $250 for IUI with trigger shot
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Everyone at the clinic was warm and remembered me. I had one nurse the was my primary contact and was present for most of my appointments.
Dr. Caperton was articulate and forthright about the plan and likelihood of success and was very willing to address all of my concerns. He was warm and knowledgable in his specialty and he was able to quick diagnose my PCOS when I had 12 years of OB/GYNs who didn't diagnose me.
I had insurance that covered some of the cost so I believe the cost for me per cycle was about $250 for IUI with trigger shot.
2010 - 2012
The clinic [Center for Reproductive Med of NM] is located in the basement of a hospital, so it isn’t ideal, but it is at least private. You don’t get the spa-feel, but the facilities are clean and comfortable. I would much rather the doctor be of high quality than the facilities be the more impressive feature.... Dr. Thompson was very kind and throrough. He took the time to answer questions or concerns. He was knowledgeable and did not seem to rush to hurry on to the next patient. He took his time and made sure I felt comfortable and all my questions were answered.
2010 - 2012
European, Latino, Native American
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is located in the basement of a hospital, so it isn’t ideal, but it is at least private. You don’t get the spa-feel, but the facilities are clean and comfortable. I would much rather the doctor be of high quality than the facilities be the more impressive feature.
Dr. Thompson was very caring and thorough.
As with any doctor, just do your research and have questions prepared to ask.
I only saw Dr. Thompson once for an IUI, so I don’t have much familiarity with his protocols.
PCOS, Unexplained
This clinic [Center for Reproductive Med of NM] has a great team of caring individuals. They communicate clearly and don’t seem busy even though they are. They are timely and communicate clearly about any delays. We have never had any concerns about the clinic and highly reccomend them.... Nursing staff was always easy to get along with. Rachel the PA is completely amazing! She communicated quickly and with such kindness and care!
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
This clinic has a great team of caring individuals. They communicate clearly and don’t seem busy even though they are. They are timely and communicate clearly about any delays. We have never had any concerns about the clinic and highly reccomend them.
He gave his cell and always remembered random bits about our lives.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Rachel PA)
Dr. Caperton is very smart and attentive. He also knows that he is good at his job and can come off cocky sometimes. He has genuine excitement for assisting to build families. He gave us multiple visits to discuss our questions and concerns before deciding our treatment.
Use all the time you need for questions. Even book more meetings to discuss.
He strongly encouraged single embryo transfer.