Downer's Grove / CIVF Lab & Surgery Center
Lincolnwood (closed)
3725 West Touhy Ave
Lincolnwood, IL 60712

2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Shultz made a huge mistake during my first cycle there was a polyp that was detected but not removed prior to starting stims for retrieval which converted my cycle to a freeze all and devastated me at the very last minute...I feel as though it’s all about the money with her and not the happiness nor successful outcome of treatment for the patient .
I feel they [Chicago IVF clinic] are outdated with the clinical setting as well as the surgical center in regards to equipment and overall look of the place . I also feel the weakness is communication among the staff members and the embryo lab never answers the phone...Monitoring is done 3 days a week Monday Wednesday and Friday between the hours of 6:30 am - 10am..
How was your experience with Natalie Schultz at Chicago IVF?
Dr. Shultz made a huge mistake during my first cycle there was a polyp that was detected but not removed prior to starting stims for retrieval which converted my cycle to a freeze all and devastated me at the very last minute. I’m in my second cycle currently which is a freeze all because she still has not removed the polyp at all. I feel as though it’s all about the money with her and not the happiness nor successful outcome of treatment for the patient .
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Natalie Schultz at Chicago IVF?
Do your research and seek other options if available
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Natalie Schultz at Chicago IVF?
I felt as though I was just in a batch of women that were being rotated in and out the door . Promises were made and never kept . So many mistakes were made during the first cycle which canceled out my initial transfer .
Describe the protocols Natalie Schultz used in your cycles at Chicago IVF and their degree of success.
For my first cycle I was on follistim 100 units morning , follistim 100 units nightly, menopur 37.5 units nightly triggered with ovidrel resulted in 5 mature eggs retrieved 4 fertilized 1 embryo frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF. (Assigned nurse: Elena Olivieri )
Elena is an awesome nurse I couldn’t have gotten a better nurse . She’s on top of things and makes sure your comfortable the entire process. Very knowledgeable and reassuring. Elena is the only reason I am still using Chicago Ivf I would of left if it wasn’t for Elena !
Describe your experience with Chicago IVF.
I feel they are outdated with the clinical setting as well as the surgical center in regards to equipment and overall look of the place . I also feel the weakness is communication among the staff members and the embryo lab never answers the phone.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Chicago IVF.
Monitoring is done 3 days a week Monday Wednesday and Friday between the hours of 6:30 am - 10am . Those are your only options for monitoring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Natalie Schultz at Chicago IVF.
$670 embryo Cryopreservation $377 Sperm Cryopreservation $2000 medications $2700 Ivf cycle cost not including above
Describe Natalie Schultz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Chicago IVF.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Chicago IVF.
They have ordered my meds but increased dosages resulting in myself not having enough medication for the entire cycle . I have also had and entire cycle canceled due to a previous nurse Natalie that did not get me on the schedule as instructed by h to e doctor which pushed me back 30 days in treatment.
Natalie Schultz
Orland Park

Dr. Schultz was nice and pleasant, but I only spoke to her three times. Once at my consultation, once at egg retrieval and once over the phone for a post op egg retrieval. Like I said before, I did not feel that she knew my case or was particularly invested in me. She did not know simple facts about me or my diagnosis after my egg retrieval and it did not make me feel comfortable in her ability to treat me. I felt like a number.
The monitoring appointments [at Chicago IVF] were convenient. They were first come, first served...[clinic error]My nurse had a huge issue with my medication and did not send it to WIN Fertility for approval, instead sending it straight to the pharmacy. By the time I realized the mistake, I needed the medication the next day and had it over nighted. This was a $4000.00 mistake. I did eventually get my money back, but it took over a month of a lot of calls
How was your experience with Natalie Schultz at Chicago IVF?
Be your own advocate. Research the proper IVF protocols for your diagnosis and push to try those protocols. I really feel that I was over suppressed by birth control and it seems they just throw everyone on birth control to get all their patients on the same schedule. It's like an assembly line.
I felt like Dr. Shcultz did not even look at my information before or after egg retrieval. After my retrieval (in which all my follicles were gone), she came to talk with me and said "I guess you ovulated". It was very lax-a-daisy. Then she said "what was your AMH again?". What?!!! Shouldn't she know that or at least check before speaking to me?!
I did the Antagonist protocol. She never gave me a rationale for this protocol. This was my first go at IVF, so I did not know that this protocol is maybe not the best for a woman with diminished ovarian reserve. I think the birth control really over suppressed me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lydia)
My nurse had a huge issue with my medication and did not send it to WIN Fertility for approval, instead sending it straight to the pharmacy. By the time I realized the mistake, I needed the medication the next day and had it over nighted. This was a $4000.00 mistake. I did eventually get my money back, but it took over a month of a lot of calls that I wouldn't have needed to make if she didn't make this mistake. What was particularly upsetting was that she would argue with me about the issue and insist that it was a fault of mine or WIN's instead of just helping me resolve the issue. After this, her attitude toward me was not great. I was often uncomfortable during my morning monitoring and really didn't want to go.
Describe your experience with Chicago IVF.
I can't think of any strengths of this clinic. I'm at a total loss. Their weaknesses are that they treat their patients as an assembly line, they are not well versed in diminished ovarian reserve, their financial coordinators give inaccurate information, and one of their nurses holds grudges.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Chicago IVF.
The monitoring appointments were convenient. They were first come, first served.
My insurance covered most.
We did not get that far.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Chicago IVF.
1. Lydia tried to cancel the "demonstration class" for IVF injections 2 hours before my appointment when I had already taken a half day at work. Then she could miraculously make my appointment, but tried to guilt trip me when I was there saying "don't mind my stomach growling, I didn't get to eat lunch". 2. At my baseline appointment she abruptly told me "oh you're cycle is going to be canceled. You have a cyst." during my ultrasound. I started crying and she said absolutely nothing to comfort me. It seemed inappropriate for her to even relay that information in that moment without the doctor reviewing it first. My cycle was not canceled 3. Her giant mess up with WIN Fertility costing me thousands of dollars and a bunch of hours on the phone that I did not have time for. 4. She lost paperwork. 5. Even after we moved on from Chicago IVF, we had problems with her. We paid $450 for my husband's infectious disease panel that she administered. We needed the results at our new clinic. She never did the Syphilis panel (which we paid out of pocket for). This means that we were allowed to go through with the whole cycle without having this test done, which, I believe, is illegal.
Natalie Schultz
Munster

He [Dr. Brasch] has an interesting bedside manner and can come off as insensitive at times. He was always running late for appointments which was frustrating as he seemed to have limited availability for convenient appointment times to begin with. He once downplayed our situation saying "we were the easiest patients he had seen that day" which may have been true but our situation was not easy for us...IUI-no reason why it wouldn't work based on test results IVF-found out tubes were blocked by more in-depth testing; risk of trying to open them successfully not worth it so IVF is option
Ann [nurse at Chicago IVF] was great. She seemed like the only one who knew what was going on in the clinic at times...Gloria did not draw labs at the right time so we were unable to start IVF as soon as we were told. We were paying out of pocket and a more expensive medication was ordered when cheaper options were available...No guidance provided for number of embryos transferred on day of transfer by assistance...There seemed to be a lack of communication at times. A nurse, Gloria, mismanaged us at an appointment causing us to delay our IVF cycle. The original IVF coordinator quit right before our cycle was going to start
How was your experience with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
He has an interesting bedside manner and can come off as insensitive at times. He was always running late for appointments which was frustrating as he seemed to have limited availability for convenient appointment times to begin with. He once downplayed our situation saying "we were the easiest patients he had seen that day" which may have been true but our situation was not easy for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
Ask questions about everything. Do research before going to know what to expect. Look into other clinic options
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
During the entire IVF cycle, there was a LARGE number of other women. Sometimes hard to get an appointment for US/labs due to that fact. During the retrieval and transfer, Dr. Brasch's assistant Dr. Schlutz was running behind on both days. She seemed disheveled and almost unsure of herself and the plan of care. She seemed to not know how to properly address patients, especially in a sensitive situation like IVF.
Describe the protocols Joel Brasch used in your cycles at Chicago IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ann)
Ann was great. She seemed like the only one who knew what was going on in the clinic at times
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF.
Describe Joel Brasch's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Chicago IVF.
Valparaiso
De. Brasch was very kind and came across as a gentle man. We spoke very calmly, almost zen-like. I did have a unique case so he scheduled an additional phone conference to discuss. He was very arrogant though, speaking a lot about how great he was at his job. ... I had a standard IVF Protocol using Menopur, Follistim and Ganirelix. He never changed my dosages and I felt like it was very cookie-cutter.
We did not care for the mass cycles, nor did the treatment seem to be personalized. They [Chicago IVF] nickel and dime you a ton. The biggest factor why we left is because they would not let my husband in the room for any appointment, including the transfer. It’s the only clinic I’m aware of that does not let the spouse/partner back for the Transfer of the embryos (huge turn off!). They also messed my numbers up with other women and nurses seemed stretched very thin.
How was your experience with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
You will need to do a lot of your own research. If I hadn’t educated myself on the IVF process, I would have never known what was going on.
They do mass cycles instead of starting your IVF cycle when your body is ready. Additionally, when I was getting updates on our embryos, I received other women’s information and numbers because it was a universal email that they copy and pasted over.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF. (Assigned nurse: Angela)
My main nurse, Angela, was wonderful. Very sweet and caring. Though, I did feel like I knew more than her sometimes. She was very soft spoken and seemed to agree with anything I said.
Describe your experience with Chicago IVF.
We did not care for the mass cycles, nor did the treatment seem to be personalized. They nickel and dime you a ton. The biggest factor why we left is because they would not let my husband in the room for any appointment, including the transfer. It’s the only clinic I’m aware of that does not let the spouse/partner back for the Transfer of the embryos (huge turn off!). They also messed my numbers up with other women and nurses seemed stretched very thin.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF.
$14,000 Fresh embryo cycle + Meds $1500 for retrieval/anesthesia $650 to freeze embryos + $69 per month to store. $500 for transfer fee
You could tell him how many you wanted but you did need to justify your reason. Once you did that you could transfer multiples.
Munster

It seemed like everytime I saw [Dr. Brasch] he had a rehearsed speech to give me. He said the exact thing everytime I saw him. I didn’t feel like he tailored his speech to fit where we were at in our treatment.3 iui cycles with letrozole. Because letrozole was supposed to work best for pcos. The first 2 cycles failed and we canceled the 3rd bc I was not responding to the medication at all. 3 more cycles with iui and clomid. All 3 failed.
Angela [nurse at Chicago IVF] was the sweetest nurse around. She has such compassion, knows just the right things to say and I looked forward to seeing her everytime I was there. I’m a very anxious person, and she made me feel completely calm...The clinic is very small, maybe a little on the outdated side,but very organized. It seemed that everyone worked well together. Never waited for my appointment, always received calls back in a timely manner.
How was your experience with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
Dr Brasch was very sympathetic. Very kind, but it also seemed like he said the same thing to every patient. I only saw him twice in my entire two years with the clinic. And each time he said the exact same words. Drew the exact same picture and told us to do the exact same thing. Now looking back I would’ve appreciated him being more blunt and pushing us to try something different, instead of saying that he thinks what we’re doing is good.
Write down all your questions, and all of his answers. Push for what seems right for you and your future.
It seemed like everytime I saw the dr he had a rehearsed speech to give me. He said the exact thing everytime I saw him. I didn’t feel like he tailored his speech to fit where we were at in our treatment.
Angela was the sweetest nurse around. She has such compassion, knows just the right things to say and I looked forward to seeing her everytime I was there. I’m a very anxious person, and she made me feel completely calm.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF.
Each iui was $1350 I believe. After each iui I’d get a bill anywhere from 200-400 for random labs and whatnot. And then the medications would cost me anywhere from $200-900 each cycle.
Munster

Joel Brasch told me I was an "easy case" and made it very clear that I was going to get pregnant without any issues using IVF. When I had 2 IVFs fail, I went to him and asked what was next, and he said "another IVF". I asked about an ERA test, and I was told "that is not part of our protocol." I was treated as a number - he did not care if I got pregnant or had a baby. He cared about how much money he made from me.... I had surgery at this clinic, and I had to get the entire surgery redone because it was incorrect the first time.
The front desk has a lot of decision making power which is terrible. The communication at CIVF is excellent - if they say they are going to call you back, they will. The nurses are just ok - Ashley is by far the best and most caring.... The best nurse at CIVF is Ashley. She has compassion and care.... $32K for one full IVF, $26K for surgery that didn't work... I had surgery at this clinic, and I had to get the entire surgery redone because it was incorrect the first time.
How was your experience with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
Switch doctors before you start.
Same process always - was told “that’s not part of our protocol” when I asked about an ERA
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF. (Assigned nurse: Mia)
The best nurse at CIVF is Ashley. She has compassion and care.
$32K for one full IVF, $26K for surgery that didn't work
Valparaiso

I only ever saw him [Dr. Joel Brasch] for the initial consultation. I never saw him again. ... I didn't like that he didn't even do my IUI. ... IUI with letrozole and trigger shot ... All other interactions and treatment was done with the nurse [at Chicago IVF]. That's what ultimately lead us to a different clinic. ... Everything felt very standard protocol. There wasn't any individualized care.
Everything felt very standard protocol. There wasn't any individualized care. Angela the nurse was great and she was always there to help if you needed anything. ... I saw her for everything during my time with the clinic. ... Courtney at the front desk was always accommodating as well. ... $1,300 for the IUI procedure out of pocket. Other miscellaneous charges around $500
How was your experience with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
I only ever saw him for the initial consultation. I never saw him again. All other interactions and treatment was done with the nurse. That's what ultimately lead us to a different clinic. I didn't like that he didn't even do my IUI.
You won't ever see him.
He only ever saw me for my initial consultation. I never saw him again. All other interactions were with the nurse.
IUI with letrozole and trigger shot
Angela was great. I saw her for everything during my time with the clinic.
Describe your experience with Chicago IVF.
Everything felt very standard protocol. There wasn't any individualized care. Angela the nurse was great and she was always there to help if you needed anything. Courtney at the front desk was always accommodating as well.
Munster

I feel that I was given a "cookie-cutter" plan. The research shows that people with diminished ovarian reserve should not be put on birth control prior to a cycle (long protocol). Dr. Brasch put me on birth control anyway. Dr. Brasch was 15 minutes late for my egg retrieval, which is very time sensitive. I had four follicles, all of which were good size, two of which were quite large. I ended up with two eggs, and only one embryo. After our poor results and failed IVF cycle, Dr. Brasch strongly encouraged moving on to donor eggs. In addition, he suggested that if I wanted to continue with my own eggs, we could try a different protocol (micro flare lupron). When I mentioned that I had read that that particular protocol affected egg quality, and that he had mentioned concerns with the quality of my eggs, he said "Well, feel free to email me about other protocols," as he stood up and open the door for us to leave. Needless to say, I left there in tears, and made an appointment with a new doctor in the parking lot.
Angela [a nurse at Chicago IVF] was fantastic! She was the one who did the majority of my monitoring during all of my treatment cycles. She also did the two IUIs in the office. Nancy, the nurse practitioner, was also very friendly and helpful. I only met with her one time, but she was the one who first mentioned endometriosis to me. Other nurses that I encountered were also nice. I just did not have as good of a relationship with them, as I did not see them as often as I saw Angela.
How was your experience with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
Dr. Brasch is obviously very knowledgeable. He is strong in what he believes and believes what he recommends to his patients; however, he can be rather pushy in his recommendations. He was late to my retrieval and transfer. The wait for any office visit was well over 30 minutes each time. He performed the laparoscopic surgery and diagnosed my endometriosis, and I was happy with that. When he came in prior to the retrieval and transfer, he had no idea about my history. I really felt he could have at least looked at a chart or something before meeting with us. I felt like I was a new patient every time I saw him.
Do your own research, and bring in many questions. Before you commit to any protocols or treatment, go home and do your own research again. Don't let him talk around your questions. Demand a straight answer.
Long protocol. I was on birth control for a month prior to starting injections. When the cycle failed, he could not give me a rationale for why he chose that protocol versus a protocol better suited for diminished ovarian reserve. I started with the same dosage of medication that I have used for my IUIs, which was very successful with both of my IUIs. I had very little to no growth during the first several follicle checks. I was soon place on the maximum dosage of injections. I had four large follicles at my last ultrasound before by egg retrieval. Two eggs were retrieved. One became an embryo that we were able to transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF. (Assigned nurse: Anglea)
Angela was fantastic! She was the one who did the majority of my monitoring during all of my treatment cycles. She also did the two IUIs in the office. Nancy, the nurse practitioner, was also very friendly and helpful. I only met with her one time, but she was the one who first mentioned endometriosis to me. Other nurses that I encountered were also nice. I just did not have as good of a relationship with them, as I did not see them as often as I saw Angela.
Describe your experience with Chicago IVF.
Most of my appointments were in the Valporaiso clinic. They have other offices in Illinois. The Valporaiso office is clean. The wait time was always at least 30 minutes. See clerical staff was very helpful. The retrievalS and transfers were done at a surgical center, so IVF was not all that they encountered, and it seemed a little impersonal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF.
Visits to be diagnosed/laparoscopy follow-up: $30 copay (x3?) IUI: $1850 (x2) IVF: $12800 Surgicenter Retrieval: $800 Anesthesia: $400 Surgicenter Transfer: $500 Approximate total without medications: $18290
We did not run into this issue, as we only had one embryo. Had we had two embryos, we would have implanted both.
Lincolnwood (closed)

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
The only time I talk to him [Dr. Brasch] is if I set up a meeting that I have to pay for...I feel that he is likely to jump to doing IVF or donor eggs before any other procedure. I also feel that for being a patient at his clinic for almost 3 years, I should have more contact with him. I have only had contact with him a few times...I did not talk with him about any treatment strategies. It is basically left up to me what I would like to do next. I speak with the nurses, not him.
[CIVF - Valpo] Strengths- great office staff. They try their best to donate any extra fertility medicine to you if they have extras. They are compassionate about what you are going through and dealing with...Angela was the nurse I dealt with for all of my IUIs. She is caring, compassionate, and patient. I felt as if her heart was just as much in the treatments as mine was. She was excellent...IUIs were around $1300.
How was your experience with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
I feel that he is likely to jump to doing IVF or donor eggs before any other procedure. I also feel that for being a patient at his clinic for almost 3 years, I should have more contact with him. I have only had contact with him a few times. My initial visit, and if I call to set up an appointment to talk, in which I have to pay for. I have done 5 IUIs and one of those included a miscarriage. Not once during any of these procedures did I talk with him. Also, after my surgery for endometriosis, he was going on vacation and I was not going to get to talk to him about my results for weeks. I had to bed the receptionist to at least read my the report so I knew what my condition was. I have not done IVF because at his clinic we have to be put on birth control so that all IVF patients are done at the same time. This is simply for easiness on their part, and not the best interest of the patient.
I feel that for as much money and time I have spend doing fertility treatments, I was never checked on or contacted by him. The only time I talk to him is if I set up a meeting that I have to pay for. I feel that we as fertility patients should be checked on and followed up on, especially since he was not the one I dealt with during my IUIs. His nurses did all the work and they were the ones to deliver the bad news.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF. (Assigned nurse: Angela )
Describe your experience with Chicago IVF.
Strengths- great office staff. They try their best to donate any extra fertility medicine to you if they have extras. They are compassionate about what you are going through and dealing with . Weaknesses- I do not hear from Dr. Brasch often. I do not agree that patients need to be put on birth control before doing and IVF cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF.
Appointments with Dr. Brasch were a couple hundred. IUIs were around $1300.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
I only saw Dr. Brasch like twice during my 6 treatments, I felt like a number. And every treatment it didn't work I felt like a failure. When I was finally able to conceive, I lost my twins at 19 weeks and when I returned to try again my loss was ignored...They weren't willing to change the protocol after it didn't work, I was just told I was young and we will try again...the doctors hardly ever saw me and I can guarantee they couldn't pick me out as one of their patients
They [Chicago IVF - Valpo] were conveniently located and the front office staff and the nurse was great. Driving to the Munster clinic to get procedures done was ideal but I understand it's a small office that offers monitoring...[Nurse] Angela was amazing, she was very invested in my success. My positive test was her positive test and my loss was her loss. She is the sweetest and kindest nurse I have had. Another plus... she was great at getting blood out of my tiny veins that like to roll and collapse.
How was your experience with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
Be your own advocate, ask questions and ask about other options.
They weren't willing to change the protocol after it didn't work, I was just told I was young and we will try again. I loved the nurse Angela, but the doctors hardly ever saw me and I can guarantee they couldn't pick me out as one of their patients
I did 6 IUI rounds with injectables one resulted in a twin pregnancy (#3 out of 6 cycles) The first round started with clomid, it did nothing for me so with switched to follistim and was watched. It started with a small dose under 100 and we ended up doing 225 units for 13 days on average for each cycle.
Describe your experience with Chicago IVF.
They were conveniently located and the front office staff and the nurse was great. Driving to the Munster clinic to get procedures done was ideal but I understand it's a small office that offers monitoring.
I don't remember