Downer's Grove / CIVF Lab & Surgery Center
Lincolnwood (closed)
3725 West Touhy Ave
Lincolnwood, IL 60712

2020, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Brasch] discussed our chances of conceiving with different treatments and made me feel the most hopeful I have felt in a while...we had a phone consultation after my failed IUI and he took his time and went through everything all over again including my history, husbands history, first IUI cycle, and his future treatment plan..
They are all so very nice and organized. [The Chicago IVF] Front desk will make you feel very comfortable from your first contact with them. Appointments are on time. I do think that because departments are handled by different groups of employees the communication can easily go wrong such as one person saying one thing and the next person saying something different but for the most part any confusion is quickly resolved.
How was your experience with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
He is knowledgeable. Up front but compassionate. He is patient. Answers all questions. Spent more than enough time with us. He is a busy person. Only negative is I wish he was more available to speak to face to face.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
Make sure to have all questions ready. He will give you the answers as best as possible. Don’t be afraid or embarrassed. Ask anything you need to whether it’s regarding you or your partner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
The nursing staff has been so patient and caring with all my questions. They have been readily available whenever I need anything. Doctor unfortunately could not meet with me face to face due to covid however we had a phone consultation after my failed IUI and he took his time and went through everything all over again including my history, husbands history, first IUI cycle, and his future treatment plan. He took a big weight off of our shoulders. Most importantly he even discussed the emotional side of our journey and ways to deal with the stress and frustration we may feel at times. He made me silently cry but so happy at the same time. He discussed our chances of conceiving with different treatments and made me feel the most hopeful I have felt in a while. In a time where it feels like we are stuck and can’t move forward and the hope starts fading away he brought that hope back but also kept it real and factual. I was so close to canceling this appointment being that Shut down were occurring and my husband had been laid off but I am soooo happy I didn’t. I now see a little light at the end of the tunnel!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Chicago IVF.
Readily available Knowledgeable Compassionate
Describe your experience with Chicago IVF.
No issues with clinic. They are all so very nice and organized. Front desk will make you feel very comfortable from your first contact with them. Appointments are on time. I do think that because departments are handled by different groups of employees the communication can easily go wrong such as one person saying one thing and the next person saying something different but for the most part any confusion is quickly resolved.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF.
First consult was $350 -IUI cycle with injectables $1500 plus medications which cost up $1200. there were some labs that were not covered by insurance and I had them done at clinical which ranged between $50-80 One cycle of IVF is 12K plus required medications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Chicago IVF.
Very minor things that were easily and quickly resolved.
Valparaiso

He [Dr. Brasch] has an interesting bedside manner and can come off as insensitive at times. He was always running late for appointments which was frustrating as he seemed to have limited availability for convenient appointment times to begin with. He once downplayed our situation saying "we were the easiest patients he had seen that day" which may have been true but our situation was not easy for us...IUI-no reason why it wouldn't work based on test results IVF-found out tubes were blocked by more in-depth testing; risk of trying to open them successfully not worth it so IVF is option
Ann [nurse at Chicago IVF] was great. She seemed like the only one who knew what was going on in the clinic at times...Gloria did not draw labs at the right time so we were unable to start IVF as soon as we were told. We were paying out of pocket and a more expensive medication was ordered when cheaper options were available...No guidance provided for number of embryos transferred on day of transfer by assistance...There seemed to be a lack of communication at times. A nurse, Gloria, mismanaged us at an appointment causing us to delay our IVF cycle. The original IVF coordinator quit right before our cycle was going to start
How was your experience with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
He has an interesting bedside manner and can come off as insensitive at times. He was always running late for appointments which was frustrating as he seemed to have limited availability for convenient appointment times to begin with. He once downplayed our situation saying "we were the easiest patients he had seen that day" which may have been true but our situation was not easy for us.
Ask questions about everything. Do research before going to know what to expect. Look into other clinic options
During the entire IVF cycle, there was a LARGE number of other women. Sometimes hard to get an appointment for US/labs due to that fact. During the retrieval and transfer, Dr. Brasch's assistant Dr. Schlutz was running behind on both days. She seemed disheveled and almost unsure of herself and the plan of care. She seemed to not know how to properly address patients, especially in a sensitive situation like IVF.
Describe the protocols Joel Brasch used in your cycles at Chicago IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ann)
Ann was great. She seemed like the only one who knew what was going on in the clinic at times
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF.
Describe Joel Brasch's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Chicago IVF.

2010 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr Brasch is very compassionate. He takes care to not only make sure you are well informed of your options, but also sees to the emotional needs of a couple. When I found I had additional questions after a consultation, Dr Brasch was quick to take a phone consultation with me to further inform me...As I suffer from annovulatuin & a progesterone deficiency, Dr Brasch recommended the use of Clomid to assist in ovulation. My husband suffers from Varicocele, which can cause his sperm count to fluctuate or be unpredictable. So to further asssist in conception, Dr Brasch offered us the option of monitored IUI rounds.
They [staff at Chicago IVF] are exceptionally warm & welcoming at each visit. You can feel they are as hopeful for success as you are!...Tammy C [nurse] was so compassionate, well informed & personable. She was willing to discuss natural forms of supplematation with me, for prenatal vitamins and such. Ashley [nurse] has been a breath of fresh air! She treats me as though we are BFF’s & in this together.
How was your experience with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
Come prepared to ask questions & be ready to partner with Dr Brasch. He is as invested as you are in a favorable outcome!
Dr Brasch & each member of his staff have treated us like family. They are exceptionally warm & welcoming at each visit. You can feel they are as hopeful for success as you are!
As I suffer from annovulatuin & a progesterone deficiency, Dr Brasch recommended the use of Clomid to assist in ovulation. My husband suffers from Varicocele, which can cause his sperm count to fluctuate or be unpredictable. So to further asssist in conception, Dr Brasch offered us the option of monitored IUI rounds. I was prescribed progesterone suppositories to assist in ensuring my progesterone levels stayed up through the end of each cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF. (Assigned nurse: Ashley )
Tammy C was so compassionate, well informed & personable. She was willing to discuss natural forms of supplematation with me, for prenatal vitamins and such. Ashley has been a breath of fresh air! She treats me as though we are BFF’s & in this together.
Describe your experience with Chicago IVF.
Chicago IVF is so convenient in that they have several locations available in both IL & IN. Their same-day lab is phenomenal, in that you know you are receiving top care & priority in being notified of your next steps.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF.
Costs seemed industry appropriate. Being that my husband & myself were self-pay, due to no fertility coverage though our instance, the office offered to assist, where possible, with our injectibles medications via donated or sample medicines.
Valparaiso

Joel Brasch told me I was an "easy case" and made it very clear that I was going to get pregnant without any issues using IVF. When I had 2 IVFs fail, I went to him and asked what was next, and he said "another IVF". I asked about an ERA test, and I was told "that is not part of our protocol." I was treated as a number - he did not care if I got pregnant or had a baby. He cared about how much money he made from me.... I had surgery at this clinic, and I had to get the entire surgery redone because it was incorrect the first time.
The front desk has a lot of decision making power which is terrible. The communication at CIVF is excellent - if they say they are going to call you back, they will. The nurses are just ok - Ashley is by far the best and most caring.... The best nurse at CIVF is Ashley. She has compassion and care.... $32K for one full IVF, $26K for surgery that didn't work... I had surgery at this clinic, and I had to get the entire surgery redone because it was incorrect the first time.
How was your experience with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
Switch doctors before you start.
Same process always - was told “that’s not part of our protocol” when I asked about an ERA
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF. (Assigned nurse: Mia)
The best nurse at CIVF is Ashley. She has compassion and care.
$32K for one full IVF, $26K for surgery that didn't work
Valparaiso
He [Dr. Brasch] was always straight forward with us. He was able to answer every question we had and was caring when I was upset about having to do treatment. I would recommend going to him if you think you need fertility help.... My strategy was to do 3 IUI's. If that did not work, which didn't, we'd do IVF.... You might not always see the Dr but I think the nurses and other staff make up for that and you never feel like you're being left in the dark.
All staff [Chicago IVF] was welcoming and caring. They always we're nice even when I needed things repeated to me.... They are truly kind here. If you have questions they are very willing to answer them. You might not always see the Dr but I think the nurses and other staff make up for that and you never feel like you're being left in the dark.... I was lucky that my insurance covered most of the cost but I did have co pays.
How was your experience with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
He was always straight forward with us. He was able to answer every question we had and was caring when I was upset about having to do treatment. I would recommend going to him if you think you need fertility help.
Keep your head up. You are so much stronger then you know. The Dr is there to help you.
The staff and dr we're always nice and personable.
My strategy was to do 3 IUI's. If that did not work, which didn't, we'd do IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF.
All staff was welcoming and caring. They always we're nice even when I needed things repeated to me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF.
I was lucky that my insurance covered most of the cost but I did have co pays. Each visit was $50 which was hard to pay as you have to be seen every few days. It is a huge financial burden.
2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Schultz is very knowledgeable. She was confident in the best way which was reassuring to us as we travel this journey. She is sweet and so kind. She lets us ask questions without making us feel silly for asking...She is amazing. Sweet but straight forward too. Knowledgeable and confident in what she knows and practices...You are in the best capable hands. Just trust the process...Fertility anything without insurance is COSTLY. Each IUI is $1300
[Chicago IVF] Clinic is nice and very clean. Could maybe use an update but that’s definitely not a deal breaker for us. They are organized and keep things orderly which is a big deal to me. They are great. We did have a small issue with billing at one point but got resolved...Organized. Sweet. And wonderful staff. They are amazing at what they do and make you feel like family...Fertility anything without insurance is COSTLY. Each IUI is $1300
How was your experience with Natalie Schultz at Chicago IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Natalie Schultz at Chicago IVF?
You are in the best capable hands. Just trust the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Natalie Schultz at Chicago IVF?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF. (Assigned nurse: Angela )
Describe your experience with Chicago IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Natalie Schultz at Chicago IVF.
Fertility anything without insurance is COSTLY. Each IUI is $1300
Natalie Schultz
Valparaiso
He [Dr. Jain] has a wonderful and calm personality, and put me to ease. He was also very sensitive to my issue of having poor egg number and quality at an earlier than expected age. Unlike my previous doctors, he did not make me feel bad about it. Ultimately, I ended up using frozen donor eggs and it worked the first time!! ...He is the kindest and most honest doctor I have ever seen...He was positive yet realistic. He did not sugar-coat anything...Dr Jain is intelligent, kind, honest, and has an amazing bedside manner...I can't thank Dr Jain and his staff enough for their support!
The nursing team at Chicago IVF in general is outstanding. I cant say enough about them. They went out of their way to help me. They even delivered some medications to my home personally, when I realized I was missing something! Just amazing dedication. They were also always available -- I had their cell phone numbers at all times....Very friendly -- the front desk staff always knew my name and had a friendly greeting. Nice and modern office. Felt at ease.
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Chicago IVF?
Dr Jain is intelligent, kind, honest, and has an amazing bedside manner. He was positive yet realistic. He did not sugar-coat anything. I really appreciated that. He also gave me a free copy of his new book -- The Infertility Journey! It really helped me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarun Jain at Chicago IVF?
Drop what you are doing, and go see him now!! You will not be disappointed, I assure you. We need more doctors like Dr Jain. He is a breath of fresh air.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarun Jain at Chicago IVF?
Dr Tarun Jain is simply amazing. He is the kindest and most honest doctor I have ever seen. He has a wonderful and calm personality, and put me to ease. He was also very sensitive to my issue of having poor egg number and quality at an earlier than expected age. Unlike my previous doctors, he did not make me feel bad about it. He also allowed me to try using my own eggs first. Ultimately, I ended up using frozen donor eggs and it worked the first time!! I can't thank Dr Jain and his staff enough for their support!
Describe the protocols Tarun Jain used in your cycles at Chicago IVF and their degree of success.
Dr Jain and his staff made it very easy. I had detailed written instructions for everything. I could use vaginal progesterone (Crinone) instead of those horrible progesterone in oil shots that my previous doctor insisted upon. He also had me stop unnecessary things like baby aspirin, prednisone, and blood thinners. I did not need any of them. I also used ganarelix instead of lupron -- ultimately needed much fewer shots.
Describe your experience with Chicago IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarun Jain at Chicago IVF.
My insurance covered most of the costs, except for using donor eggs. I got an accurate financial estimate well in advance so I knew what to expect. There were no surprises.
Describe Tarun Jain's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Chicago IVF.
Dr Jain recommended I try a single day 5 embryo first, since it was from a donor egg.
2014 - 2016, Successful
I was very happy with his [Dr Jain's] knowledge and cycle protocols....The staff is warm and caring. he nursing staff at C-IVF is absolutely amazing. They answer all my questions and are caring....At some times I have felt rushed during appointments though.
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Chicago IVF?
I was very happy with his knowledge and cycle protocols.
Always ask questions and do your own research. I would give anyone that advice for any doctor.
The staff is warm and caring. At some times I have felt rushed during appointments though.
I remember that we used Ganirelix and no lupron for our IVF cycle. He gave me the option to use Crinone instead of progesterone in oil, even for a frozen embryo transfer. Cycles are synced with birth control pills.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF. (Assigned nurse: Catherine & Yusuko)
The nursing staff at C-IVF is absolutely amazing. They answer all my questions and are caring.
2010 - 2011, Successful
The team was awesome. I had the same nurse do my blood work almost every time. The receptionist was very sensitive to each person because she had also been through a fertility struggle.
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Chicago IVF?
Dr. Jain was very informative and sensitive at the same time. He laid out our options in a tiered manner from least aggressive and least expensive to most. His staff was really helpful and even accommodated my early work ours for blood work.
Don't hesitate to ask questions or ask for clarification. The nurses are very encouraging and most are knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF.
They were flexible, easy to talk to, and understanding.
Warrenville
Ask tons of questions he [Dr. Tarun Jain] is great and always answers...He was absolutely amazing we were with him for 2.5 years and I never thought to go to another dr or get a second opinion. I would 100% recommend him. He has an amazing bedside manner and always was compassionate and kind. He has also written a book which was amazing to read and learn how invested he is in the infertility world.
Dana [at Chicago IVF] was amazing, I'm sad I don't still see her and talk with her. She was always wiling to listen and answer any questions always had an answer for us or if she didn't know she would check and promptly return phone call. She has an amazing bedside manner. Also the untraound techs were very friendly and explained everything in great detail...Ask tons of questions he [Dr. Tarun Jain] is great and always answers..
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Chicago IVF?
Ask tons of questions he is great and always answers
Describe your experience with Chicago IVF.
Dana was amazing, I'm sad I don't still see her and talk with her. She was always wiling to listen and answer any questions always had an answer for us or if she didn't know she would check and promptly return phone call. She has an amazing bedside manner. Also the untraound techs were very friendly and explained everything in great detail
He allowed us to choose how many and discussed options and risks

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr. Jain listen to me and respected everything I needed to know as a nerdy researcher....Dr. Jaim puts his patients needs as a high priority, even writing a book on the perspective of patients to help folks on the Journey of infertility. When I'm ready to try again, he's the only fertility doctor I will see. Even though he has moved to Northwestern in Chicago....Don't be afraid to ask questions and offer your Insight. He will listen....They work to help creation of families. while it didn't work for me, yet, they treated me with compassion and dignity every step of the way, even with my eccentric personality. My failed success had more to do with my body failing me than the doctor and his team.
They [CIVF-Chicago IVF - Warrenville] work to help creation of families. while it didn't work for me, yet, they treated me with compassion and dignity every step of the way, even with my eccentric personality. My failed success had more to do with my body failing me than the doctor and his team....I have some pretty big allergies and only one person forgot about that with regard to prenatals that I ended up not needing after all anyway...Dr. Jain listen to me and respected everything I needed to know as a nerdy researcher....It was predominantly covered under insurance. Other than copay. Now I don't have insurance so I'd have to pay I don't remember the exact cost
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Chicago IVF?
Don't be afraid to ask questions and offer your Insight. He will listen.
Describe your experience with Chicago IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarun Jain at Chicago IVF.
Warrenville

I feel that I was given a "cookie-cutter" plan. The research shows that people with diminished ovarian reserve should not be put on birth control prior to a cycle (long protocol). Dr. Brasch put me on birth control anyway. Dr. Brasch was 15 minutes late for my egg retrieval, which is very time sensitive. I had four follicles, all of which were good size, two of which were quite large. I ended up with two eggs, and only one embryo. After our poor results and failed IVF cycle, Dr. Brasch strongly encouraged moving on to donor eggs. In addition, he suggested that if I wanted to continue with my own eggs, we could try a different protocol (micro flare lupron). When I mentioned that I had read that that particular protocol affected egg quality, and that he had mentioned concerns with the quality of my eggs, he said "Well, feel free to email me about other protocols," as he stood up and open the door for us to leave. Needless to say, I left there in tears, and made an appointment with a new doctor in the parking lot.
Angela [a nurse at Chicago IVF] was fantastic! She was the one who did the majority of my monitoring during all of my treatment cycles. She also did the two IUIs in the office. Nancy, the nurse practitioner, was also very friendly and helpful. I only met with her one time, but she was the one who first mentioned endometriosis to me. Other nurses that I encountered were also nice. I just did not have as good of a relationship with them, as I did not see them as often as I saw Angela.
How was your experience with Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF?
Dr. Brasch is obviously very knowledgeable. He is strong in what he believes and believes what he recommends to his patients; however, he can be rather pushy in his recommendations. He was late to my retrieval and transfer. The wait for any office visit was well over 30 minutes each time. He performed the laparoscopic surgery and diagnosed my endometriosis, and I was happy with that. When he came in prior to the retrieval and transfer, he had no idea about my history. I really felt he could have at least looked at a chart or something before meeting with us. I felt like I was a new patient every time I saw him.
Do your own research, and bring in many questions. Before you commit to any protocols or treatment, go home and do your own research again. Don't let him talk around your questions. Demand a straight answer.
Long protocol. I was on birth control for a month prior to starting injections. When the cycle failed, he could not give me a rationale for why he chose that protocol versus a protocol better suited for diminished ovarian reserve. I started with the same dosage of medication that I have used for my IUIs, which was very successful with both of my IUIs. I had very little to no growth during the first several follicle checks. I was soon place on the maximum dosage of injections. I had four large follicles at my last ultrasound before by egg retrieval. Two eggs were retrieved. One became an embryo that we were able to transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF. (Assigned nurse: Anglea)
Angela was fantastic! She was the one who did the majority of my monitoring during all of my treatment cycles. She also did the two IUIs in the office. Nancy, the nurse practitioner, was also very friendly and helpful. I only met with her one time, but she was the one who first mentioned endometriosis to me. Other nurses that I encountered were also nice. I just did not have as good of a relationship with them, as I did not see them as often as I saw Angela.
Describe your experience with Chicago IVF.
Most of my appointments were in the Valporaiso clinic. They have other offices in Illinois. The Valporaiso office is clean. The wait time was always at least 30 minutes. See clerical staff was very helpful. The retrievalS and transfers were done at a surgical center, so IVF was not all that they encountered, and it seemed a little impersonal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joel Brasch at Chicago IVF.
Visits to be diagnosed/laparoscopy follow-up: $30 copay (x3?) IUI: $1850 (x2) IVF: $12800 Surgicenter Retrieval: $800 Anesthesia: $400 Surgicenter Transfer: $500 Approximate total without medications: $18290
We did not run into this issue, as we only had one embryo. Had we had two embryos, we would have implanted both.
Lincolnwood (closed)