Genetic counseling: Offered
Florence, KY 41042
7242 Tylers Corner
West Chester, OH 45069
513.924.5550
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Institute for Reproductive Health to a friend?

Our clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] prefers to transfer single embryos...This process is hard, and I would go back to IRH in a heartbeat if the funds ever allow for it. I felt comfortable at all times and I think they truly want the best for all patients- a happy, healthy pregnancy...My favorite nurse, Katie, was wonderful...She made me feel so comfortable and safe during the whole process. As a nurse myself, I hope to make my patients feel as cared for as she did for me. The nursing staff is extremely busy but always did a good job returning phone calls, even if you feel like you call their office 100 times a day.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Burwinkle was very down to earth and was up-front and honest with us. Although our cycle was unsuccessful, Dr. Burwinkle made sure to call me personally the day of the results to ensure I was doing okay and to answer any questions we may have at that point. He knew he would be out of town the following week and wanted to be the one to talk to us about our treatment and concerns. I thought that was really nice.
My favorite nurse, Katie, was wonderful. She was the nurse who educated me on my last visit before egg retrieval and on the day of retrieval as well. She made me feel so comfortable and safe during the whole process. As a nurse myself, I hope to make my patients feel as cared for as she did for me. The nursing staff is extremely busy but always did a good job returning phone calls, even if you feel like you call their office 100 times a day.
How was your experience with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Burwinkle was down to earth and to the point. He communicated well about our treatment plan and was very kind after our failed cycle. He might have even used a light-hearted curse word once which made my husband feel at ease (haha). Although our results were not what we had hoped for, doctors are humans, and we know it’s a risky business anyway. I truly feel like Dr. Burwinkle had our best at heart to achieve a healthy pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Burwinkle does have a good bedside manor but a slightly dry sense of humor so don’t expect him to paint a pretty picture- he is going to be honest (in a kind way) with you.
Describe the protocols Thomas Burwinkel used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
I have never been diagnosed with PCOS but my AMH level at the time of treatment was high. Because of that, we used a fairly low dose of injectable medications (Gonal F @ 125, a couple of doses of Cetrotide and Ovidrel). I produced approximately 8 follicles with 7 mature eggs of 4 fertilized. Unfortunately only one of them were able to be transferred and none left to freeze. Dr. Burwinkle stated after that he would increase the dose of medications in future cycles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health.
One full cycle including ICSI, medications, the whole nine yards, cost approximately $15,000.00.
Describe Thomas Burwinkel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Our clinic prefers to transfer single embryos which I was fine with at the time. Knowing what I know now, I wish we would have transferred more but hindsight is 50/50. No one to blame for that. I understand and respect the reasoning behind only transferring one embryo at a time based on a fairly healthy and hopeful scenario.
Cincinnati

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Nursing staff [at IRH-Cincinnati] is fantastic, doctors are knowledgeable and ahead on all current and future technology. The laboratory is best in class. I never had trouble getting in for any appointments and never had to wait for an extended period. They also have great access to resolve resource groups as well as girls night in support groups.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Nursing staff is fantastic, doctors are knowledgeable and ahead on all current and future technology. The laboratory is best in class. I never had trouble getting in for any appointments and never had to wait for an extended period. They also have great access to resolve resource groups as well as girls night in support groups.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
How was your experience with Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The battle to conceive was long and hard but Dr A kept fighting. He never gave up hope which gave us continued hope for success. He performed two D&C’svand a tubal pregnancy removal and always showed compassion. He was very candid that he thought my egg quality was the issue but gave me time and space to work through those thoughts. Ultimately he was 100% correctvand got us to the donor coordinator for further information. We gave two beautiful little girls now and are family is complete. Rainbows do come after storms.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
He is an amazing doctor. Sometimes he can be a bit blunt but that’s just because he is trying to get you the results you are trying to achieve. Trust him he’s brilliant.
Describe the protocols Sherif Awadalla used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
PGD was prescribed with IVF after multiple IUI miscarriages with chromosome abnormalities. With PGD we discovered that 80-90% of our embryo is had issues. When healthy embryos were unsuccessful. He recommended egg donor cycle. Once we went that route we only had one cycle and now gave one fresh baby and one frozen
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health.
IVF with ICSI and PGD was around 12-15k and donor cycle was 20-25k. Donor cycle charges in Clyde freezing of embroyos and frozen transfer. Cycle resulted in two Singleton pregnancies.
Cincinnati

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health.

Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Other
I felt like the clinic [IRH] had our best interest at heart. I did not feel rushed in the appointments and they answered our questions thoroughly. They showed sincerity and empathy for what I have been through on this journey...I primarily dealt with Katie [nurse] and I loved her. She was very sweet and quick to respond to my emails and phone calls. IRH does NOT use a patient portal although Katie told me they were working on that and I still didnt feel a lack in communication there.
Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I think the clinic is wonderful. I feel like I was treated as a human being. I think they have great pricing in comparison to most of the clinics in this area. They truly want you to have success. I feel like they care more about you than their profit. I had no issues with billing or the nurse staff. The lab they work with Ovation is good too and treated my husband well for his analysis. The only thing I did not care for was the fact that they didn't notify me that I would be awake for egg retrieval. They don't use an anesthesiologist and the nurse administers your anesthesia. This wasn't how things were done at my previous clinic so I was taken off guard on retrieval day.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I felt like the clinic had our best interest at heart. I did not feel rushed in the appointments and they answered our questions thoroughly. They showed sincerity and empathy for what I have been through on this journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
I primarily dealt with Katie and I loved her. She was very sweet and quick to respond to my emails and phone calls. IRH does NOT use a patient portal although Katie told me they were working on that and I still didnt feel a lack in communication there.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
How was your experience with Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I felt that he was thorough when discussing my protocol and I understood everything. I feel like the retrieval caught me off guard because it was a light twilight sedation so I was awake during the surgery. I was never awake with my 3 previous retrievals at another RE so I was not expecting this. I was not informed beforehand that I would be awake. It was not pleasant. Transfer went smoothly. When I got the negative BETA I feel like the news was said to me in a gentle manner.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Same with all doctors and that is to ask a LOT of questions!
Describe the protocols Michael Scheiber used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
We prepped with birth control and lupron beforehand to suppress everything before I started. I am a high responder so he chose to use a menopur only cycle 225iu per night. We continued lupron though stims to prevent ovulation. For transfer only crinone vaginal cream twice daily.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health.
8200 self pay for IVF cycle which included a fresh transfer PGS, ICSI, FET was additional
Describe Michael Scheiber's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
I only had two embryos from this fresh cycle and I had two failed transfers previously so he recommended that we transfer both to increase our chances.
Cincinnati

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health.

I feel like a number at IRH....a big freak out moment that could have been prevented was when I received my paperwork on my transfer day. There was a picture of my embryo that was transferred with the grading and my name on the form. But under "Date of birth" it stated a different date - not my birthday!... I call the clinic and the nurse tells me that's a default date of birth and to ignore it. My husband and I, as well as my parents, were so frustrated with this situation.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Weaknesses: Organization skills (Outdated paperwork and forms), Statistical knowledge for individual's situations, Compassion Strengths: Doctors are professional, Nurse Katie is amazing, Institute's stats are high
I feel like a number at IRH. Not necessarily or specifically from Dr. Scheiber, but from everyone as a whole. I feel rushed throughout my ultrasounds and doctor's visits. No one truly understands how they need to treat patients in that field at this institute.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Penny)
I included this information in previous answers.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I feel as if IRH does not care to educate their patients or provide individualized information. They repeat the same responses over and over and don't seem to want to deviate from their "recommendation." If I don't come up with the question myself, there's no way the doctors, nurses, or billing will voluntarily give me any extra information I need or let me know what's going on with my body. I would hear one thing from Dr. Scheiber and something different from the nurses - Which happened on multiple occasions. I feel like since day one the lack of organization, incompetency, inconsistency in knowledge of anything in general (mostly from particular nurses) has been a negative experience. My biggest issue at the moment is my husband and I were thinking about if we should have genetic testing done. We don't want to keep transferring embryos if they're not good embryos. (I personally think this should be part of the IVF process in general, at least to transfer the best one's first, but that's just me.) Anyways, no one discussed the option of testing and the pros/cons of doing so during the IVF process and fresh transfer (yet we found out they advise testing on fresh rather than frozen). We were told by Dr.Scheiber "There's no reason to test unless you have multiple failed transfers." Well we've had one fail and just started researching the idea of screening the other frozen embryos. At my ultrasound on Monday, we asked what Dr.Scheiber thought about testing. He said, the same as before, "let's wait." Well, we called the day after my ultrasound and left a voicemail. A nurse called us back and said, "We don't do genetic testing on frozen embryos." I cannot believe they're just now telling me this. I've asked about testing my embryos multiple times and no mention of this. After a frustrating conversation, she got off the phone, talked to Dr.Scheiber and called me back saying, "Well, we can test them, but it's not advised." Moral of this particular story and situation is the inconsistent information from doctor to patient, to nurse to patient, and so on. This is a huge deal. Testing embryos is a newer procedure, so if that decision should've been made earlier on, they need to make sure that's a heavy conversation and discuss the options with their patients. Last week I spoke to the nurse manager and her answer to a question about my period was, "Well, that's like looking into a crystal ball." Are you kidding me? That's how an infertility clinic is talking to patients? It's already an emotional time, they are supposed to be the experts and professionals. Compassionate and knowledgeable. I'm having a very hard time processing my present situation. This grant could help me start my journey at a new facility and I would be over the moon to receive such a gift.
I would advise a new patient to ask him as many questions as possible and do not leave the appointment until he's answered everything as clear as possible and in as much detail as you need. Also, write everything down!
I was on birth control for a couple weeks to stop my ovulation, then moved on to my injections to stimulate my ovaries, follicles and eggs. I was on Gonal-F 175 and Menopur 1 vial for 10 days. I added Cetrotide halfway through that, and my trigger shot Oviderel 26 hours or so before my egg retrieval. I didn't have to increase or decrease my dosages and my hormone levels adjusted as they were supposed to. We retrieved 17 eggs, 13 fertilized, 8 developed into embryos. I started vaginal progesterone supplements 3 times/day on the day of my egg retrieval. My fresh transfer was on day 5 blastocysts. I transferred 1 blast but received a negative pregnancy test two weeks later. Fast forward a couple months and I'm now scheduled for a frozen embryo transfer in two weeks! I'm on estrogen 3 times a day and I start Progesterone again 6 days before my FET.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Ultrasounds ran smoothly. I was always able to get in and out.
We've gone through IVF with ICSI and have a FET scheduled and we've spent around $15,000.
Dr.Scheiber and every other doctor at IRH recommends and highly suggests 1 single embryo transfer for patients first and second transfer. I thought about transferring 2 on my first fresh transfer, but then decided to go with 1. I believe they allow it, but you must sign consent forms. I'm 75% sure I'm going to transfer 2 on my next transfer.
Cincinnati

They [Institute for Reproductive Health] are very thorough, professional, and personable. They give you price lists for treatment ahead of time so you are prepared. Never a long wait for appointments. I have not experienced any weaknesses that stick out at this time... Each IUI cycle has been approximately $1200 for me and then the cost of my husbands sperm washing which was $250... They have always been quick to return my calls, answer questions,
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
They are very thorough, professional, and personable. They give you price lists for treatment ahead of time so you are prepared. Never a long wait for appointments. I have not experienced any weaknesses that stick out at this time other than distance I have to travel but that is out of their control.
He is very thorough but sometimes consults and appointments are quick and leave you with questions but he is always happy to deal with those if they arise.
They have always been quick to return my calls, answer questions, and are very personable. Always pleasant and understanding.
During my initial consult he was very thorough and detailed about our medical history and our plan. He can sometimes talk quickly leaving me with questions and not quite understanding everything. However, anytime this has happened I have had my questions answered promptly. I do feel that he is extremely knowledgeable and caring, especially in these situations.
Come prepared. Think of questions you may have and have any tests results or medical history available. This helps you get the most from your consult and future appointments.
So far I have done three rounds of Femara, to help with follicle formulation and growth. From there I had follicle scans to determine when they were adequate size and mature enough to release the egg. After follicles were appropriate size I was given a trigger shit called Ovidrel to release the egg and cause me to ovulate. Approximately 36 hours later I would go in to have my IUI. We started with IUI due to months of trying with timed intercourse and husbands low sperm account.
No comment at this time

Male Factor, Other
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health- Cincinnati] is very organized and has great practices set into place. The atmosphere is updated and nice and everything is done on site so the experience is easy. They call back quickly and are great at making sure your feel comfortable. The wait times for appointments are pretty much non existent. They are always ready for me at my appointment time.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very organized and has great practices set into place. The atmosphere is updated and nice and everything is done on site so the experience is easy. They call back quickly and are great at making sure your feel comfortable. The wait times for appointments are pretty much non existent. They are always ready for me at my appointment time.
Dr. Scheiber has always given me any information I needed and has always taken the time to listen and answer any questions or concerns I might have.
The nursing staff is amazing and knowledgeable. They take their time to answer any questions and return call quickly.
I feel that Dr Scheiber has a great deal of experience and is very knowledgeable. He tends to be more on the business side with the right amount of compassion. He is very detailed and I felt as if he gave me all my options at each step and made sure I knew what would be happening.
I would suggest to have a list of questions ready and now be afraid to ask all of them. Doctors are busy but don’t feel rushed. It’s your appointment.
The reason my husband and I needed IVF was because of a failed vasectomy reversal and there was no signs that I had an fertility issues so our protocol was pretty simple. Low dosages and we were able to have a great egg retrieval. After the first fresh transfer I miscarried and knew of was semi normal for that to happen since we didn’t do any embryo testing. Now that I have miscarriage twice, Dr Scheiber plans on doing more in depth testing to see if there is potentially something wrong with me.
Ivf cycle with fresh transfer and medication roughly $14,000 (cash only) Frozen transfer with medication $5000 (cash only)
Cincinnati

Some of the nurses [at IRH] were better than others. The nurse I had on the day of my retrieval (Stephanie) was amazing. The nurse who did my "IVF Education Day" gave a lot of information but I felt like it was very rushed. In general, I think the nurses are very compassionate but they deal with this all day every day, so there's not a very personal touch...Good: Free parking, early appointments, multiple locations around the city, affiliated lab right next door. Financial people are AWESOME and really know their stuff. Bad: Always felt a little rushed - they crank through a lot of people in one day.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I always felt a little rushed in the office. He doesn't do much explanation and leaves that to the nurses. He always seems very confident and is realistic about what his recommendations are, but I never felt like I had enough time with him.
Some of the nurses were better than others. The nurse I had on the day of my retrieval (Stephanie) was amazing. The nurse who did my "IVF Education Day" gave a lot of information but I felt like it was very rushed. In general, I think the nurses are very compassionate but they deal with this all day every day, so there's not a very personal touch.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Awadalla seems like a true expert and was very professional. I couldn't always see him because he doesn't work everyday and my cycles didn't work out that way, but he was there for the two biggest days (egg retrieval and embryo transfer).
Do your research ahead of time and make sure that you come in with questions because otherwise you will get hustled out of there. He'll answer questions but he doesn't chat through everything in detail otherwise.
After doing a round of clomid+intercourse with my OB-GYN, Dr. Awadalla did a round of IUI (femara+IUI). Because I have PCOS, we moved to IVF for the next step. We did birth control for 3 weeks so that I could go on a vacation, then 10 days of injections at a very low dose (150). We triggered with lupron and a normal trigger at a lower dose. They retrieved 33 eggs, 31 of which were mature, and 29 fertilized (no ISCI). We ended up with 23 embryos (19 day 5 blasts, 4 day 6 blasts). We did not do PGS. Just yesterday, we did a single embryo transfer after freezing for a month because I developed OHSS.
I was fortunate enough to have most of my costs covered by Fertility insurance. I did pay about $500 for medications/injections and about $250/appointment.
Describe Sherif Awadalla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
The doctor strongly recommended eSET based on the quality of our embryos and my age. We agreed with this recommendation based on the risks to mother and child(ren) associated with multiples.
Cincinnati

The nursing staff [at IRH] is great! Everytime I call with questions or concerns they always call me back quickly. They have communicated with the doctor when I had concerns that needed addressed...Everyone here has been very welcoming and warm to us. Their greatest strength has been communication. They are quick to return phone calls, or answer any questions you may have. The only weakness that I have experienced so far is that the location is a little busy. I drive over an hour to get there, and it is in a very busy area so plan for extra time if traveling from a distance.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
At my first appointment with Dr. Scheiber we sat down and he listened to my husband and I talk about the doctors we have been to, the miscarriages we have went through, the joy of finding out we were pregnant with our daughter, our pleads to help us conceive again, every emotion we were feeling he listened to. Dr. Scheiber wasn't in a rush to get to his next appointment, he really listened to us and helped us to feel better about the next stages for us to be able to conceive again.
The nursing staff is great! Everytime I call with questions or concerns they always call me back quickly. They have communicated with the doctor when I had concerns that needed addressed.
Dr. Scheiber has been a great doctor for us! Before coming to Dr. Scheiber we had honestly almost given up on being able to have another child. We will be starting IVF with Dr. Scheiber next week, and though we know there isn't a guarantee that everything will work out, he has taught us that we have so many options and different ways for us to be able to have another child.
I will be starting IVF next week so I haven't started injections yet. Dr. Scheiber has had me taking birth control until my baseline appointment because I have PCOS, the birth control is being used to shrink any follicles before starting the injections.
2012 - 2018
I rarely waited for any long length of time [at Institute for Reproductive Health- Cincinnati]. Even when I was taken to a room the doctor was always in pretty quickly. In order to call in to a nurse you had to leave a message but the call was always returned in a timely manner.... One nurse in particular was amazing. She comforted me when I needed it and gave me the information when I needed it. She was always understanding and even when I had what I thought was a silly request she was fine with what I needed.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I rarely waited for any long length of time. Even when I was taken to a room the doctor was always in pretty quickly. In order to call in to a nurse you had to leave a message but the call was always returned in a timely manner.
He always answered any questions I had. Dr. Awadalla made sure to be gentle, and he personally would call me after treatments to find out how I was and or our next steps.
I immediately felt like Dr. Awadalla was incredibly knowledgeable. I was put at ease because in my opinion he was trustworthy. My husband and I could always ask him any question. This was also how the other doctors in the office were.
I would say to trust Dr. Awadalla’s knowledge and process and know that he will do what is best for you.
The first time he had me on birth control before starting injection medication. I didn’t have as many eggs as he would like to have so he adjusted and took away the birth control. Then the third time he decided to add Femara. We did ICSI each time because we had male factor infertility and each time we put back 2 embryos.
We did a money back guarantee. After we found out we qualified we did the guarantee that said if after 3 IVF fresh cycles and 3 frozen cycles we still didn’t have a baby we would get a percentage of our money back.
Dr. Awadalla made it clear it was our choice about how many embryos we transferred.
Cincinnati

There are three locations [Institute for Reproductive Health] and one is close to me. This one does not do procedures, but is there for blood work, ultrasounds, and follow ups. The clinic is small, but it is nice and clean and organized. The nurses who greet you are very welcoming and discreet.... Each ultrasound cost me $50 due to being coded as PCOS. Lab work for one cycle was $255 (not covered). My genetic test was covered due to meeting my deductible, but it would have cost me several hundred dollars.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
There are three locations and one is close to me. This one does not do procedures, but is there for blood work, ultrasounds, and follow ups. The clinic is small, but it is nice and clean and organized. The nurses who greet you are very welcoming and discreet.
He performed emergency surgery for an ovarian torsion caused by OHSS from the fertility drugs. He was kind and caring before surgery and at my follow up.
Dr Burwinkel is more dry and matter of fact, but seems to be very caring. He is very open to answering all of your questions and talking through steps. We are just now starting the IVF process, but I have heard nothing but good things about him as a doctor from others who have successfully gone through IVF.
Know that he is very dry and matter of fact, but does seem to care for his patients and their success!
I have lean PCOS and am very healthy and active. I had previously taken five rounds of unmonitored clomid with my gynecologist, and they did not show ovulation when looking at my basal body temperature. Dr. Burwinkel suggested trying Letrozole and then Ovidrel to trigger ovulation along with timed intercourse for three months before moving on to IUI or IVF. During this first cycle with these drugs, he performed an emergency laparoscopy on me due to an ovarian torsion. He believes it was caused from the combination of infertility meds. He managed to save the ovary (it was twisted three times). He has me waiting two full cycles and then we are looking at IVF to hopefully be able to retrieve eggs from the ovary that was twisted and then remove it if it causes another torsion.
Each ultrasound cost me $50 due to being coded as PCOS. Lab work for one cycle was $255 (not covered). My genetic test was covered due to meeting my deductible, but it would have cost me several hundred dollars. My emergency surgery is costing me around 2000.

6 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
It would be nice if you worked with one nurse [Institute for Repro Health] or even two throughout your procedures ... Also the whole you have to call the nurses line leave a message and hope that you’re able to answer their call when they call back or else it’s like a game of tag for the rest of the day which is very nerve-racking at a time when your nerves are supposed to be not nerve-racking.
6 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The communication there is so so sometimes I feel like we have been not on her priority list which plays with your emotions. Once again you need to be the person that asks lots of questions in order to get to the person you need to speak to to get things done it’s like every other person you feel is on your side and the other person is just doing their job. It would be nice if you worked with one nurse or even two throughout your procedures
I feel like it takes a minute for him to get to know you but he really does care and want you to succeed and having a child
Never had the same nurse so really can’t describe them but as a whole seeing someone different each time is a little discouraging. Also the whole you have to call the nurses line leave a message and hope that you’re able to answer their call when they call back or else it’s like a game of tag for the rest of the day which is very nerve-racking at a time when your nerves are supposed to be not nerve-racking.
Although it might not seem that always is the case he really does want to do everything for you to have an outcome of a child. Remember to always ask questions he can be in and out and short but if you ask he’s definitely going to be straight with you. I feel that the more questions you ask the better you’ll feel about everything and it helps keep your nerves calm during a very anxious roller coaster time in your life!
Ask lots of questions all avenues that you could possibly explore
Gosh it’s hard to remember we’ve been at this for so long but we started off with pills then shots in each are you why it got more aggressive with stronger doses more shots and we are now in the process of our first IVF treatment staying positive keeping fingers crossed
Expensive! Unfortunately we did six rounds rounds of our UI is equaling three to $4000 each adds up very quickly sometimes I wish that we would’ve stopped with so many rounds and put that money toward her an IVF cycle

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
IRH is a great clinic with an excellent success rate! The offices are beautiful, clean, and very comfortable. The equipment also seems to be very up to date. The biggest negative about IRH is that when you call the IVF nurse line, you have to leave a message and wait for a call back. I understand that the volume of people they serve is huge and its impossible for them to take all the calls as they come in, but its VERY frustrating to have to wait for a call back for EVERY question. It would be nice if they could also provide an email or online chat for quick questions or verification.
Dr. Scheiber is really a fantastic doctor. He's incredibly kind, thoughtful, and careful with his exams and through the whole process. He somehow always remembers past conversations, and manages to smile and be encouraging even when things aren't going our way. He's also really great at giving you the full picture. He will tell you fairly clearly if there is a treatment that he doesn't like, or doesn't think you need.
The nurses at IRH are wonderful! They fully take the time to answer questions, or just listen to you talk if you need to. They are all on your team so much and it really shows
I think that Dr. Scheiber is really a great doctor. There isn't much negative to say at all. He seems to share in our frustration that the process isn't working and we don't know why. He's also been very upfront with his recommendations. I really appreciate that he also gives levels of treatment. Everything from "the gold standard" to something a little less expensive but he still fully backs. Also - he understands my need to try to do every little thing to try to help the process along - so he was ready with recommendations for acupuncturists and supplements. I always feel like he's one step ahead.
Ask a LOT of questions and don't be worried if you think your question is stupid. He's had almost every question asked before and there isn't anything stupid you can ask. He is VERY patient and will say the same thing a few times if you need that.
This cycle is fairly similar to all my other cycles. He started me off with 14ish days of birth control ( to get control of the cycle), then a baseline scan, Then a few days of just gonal-f ( 200 units) and Menopur (one vial). After my second scan, cetrotide was added. I've had a couple scans since the addition of my cetrotide, and my gonal-f was bumped to 250 to try to encourage a bit more growth. I'm taking ovidrel for my trigger shot
I know the cost of medicine for my full ivf cycle is around $4,000. I don't remember the exact cost of the procedure as they are now covered by insurance. But I believe around $15,000
Usually Dr. Scheiber only does single embryo at a time. Mostly this is because a singleton pregnancy has fewer complications then multiples. If you are older or - like me- have had several unsuccessful cycles and/or chemical pregnancies etc...there is a case to be made for doing multiple. It seems like he's trying to make sure that as far as can be controlled - everything is smooth as can be
Cincinnati

The nurses [at Institute for Reproductive Health] were very compassionate and understand of situations. They know why we’re there and they seem to care very much in making you comfortable and helping with your success in any way they can...The main negative with IRH to me was the fact that my doctor I was referred to, I only saw two-three times of the many appointments I had. I feel I’m not able to have as good of a relationship with one doctor because you don’t know which doctor you’re going to get that day for your visit or procedure (IUI in my case). I even had a nurse practitioner a couple of times because the clinic was double booked. I wasn’t happy I couldn’t build a closer relationship with the doctors since it feels like you’re always getting passed around.
European, East Asian
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very organized. The whole staff is understanding and always in a pleasant mood. It’s a comfortable and inviting atmosphere. You can tell everyone enjoys their jobs and making a difference in people’s lives. The main negative with IRH to me was the fact that my doctor I was referred to, I only saw two-three times of the many appointments I had. I feel I’m not able to have as good of a relationship with one doctor because you don’t know which doctor you’re going to get that day for your visit or procedure (IUI in my case). I even had a nurse practitioner a couple of times because the clinic was double booked. I wasn’t happy I couldn’t build a closer relationship with the doctors since it feels like you’re always getting passed around.
Dr. Burwinkle always seemed to be able pick up right where we had left off from previous meetings and appointments. I never had to refresh his memory about previous discussions or treatments.
The nurses were very compassionate and understand of situations. They know why we’re there and they seem to care very much in making you comfortable and helping with your success in any way they can.
Dr. Burwinkel is one of the best doctors that I have ever had. He actually listens to what you have to say, and he doesn’t belittle or make you feel you’re questions or feelings are silly, stupid, or unimportant. He’s optimistic and has a great bedside manner and attitude. I was diagnosed with PCOS (before Dr. Burwinkel) and my weight is a problem resulting from my diagnosis. I know a lot of clinics want you at a specific BMI or weight before they even consider tresteing you, and I was worried about that the most before meeting Dr. Burwinkel but that definitely wasn’t the case! He had a game plan and we started treatment right away! I have nothing bad to say about Dr. Burwinkel! Every meeting I’ve had with him has been as perfect as I could imagine.
Don’t be afraid to ask your questions, no matter how silly or stupid you may think it is! He knows this is hard, he gets it and he understands. He will hear you out and give you the answers you need!
With Dr. Burwinkle I was prescribed 1400mg of metformin daily. He then prescribed me to take 5mg (two pills) of letrozole on days 3-7 of my cycle. We then would schedule a scan to check follicle progress on day 11-13 of my cycle. Depending on the progress and maturation of the follicles, I was told when to take my ovidrel trigger shot to induce ovulation. 36 hours after the trigger shot we had our IUI. The first cycle I had one mature follicle and I took my trigger shot approx day 16-18 of my cycle. The second cycle I had to be prescribed more letrozole in the middle of my cycle due to my follicles not being as mature when the doctor wanted. I had to come back for a second scan and was given my trigger shot around day 18-19. The third cycle I had one good mature follicle, and a second one that may or may not have been mature by ovulation day. None of my cycles resulted in any type of pregnancy or success.
Copay for appointments: $35 Sperm wash: $225 IUI procedure: $250 Ovidrel trigger shot: $95 Letrozole: $15
Cincinnati

I was surprised by the cost in a good way! [Institute for Reproductive Health] is much more affordable than most clinics I have heard of which is important because my health insurance does not cover fertility treatment...The staff is amazing! They are always so caring and seem to truly want to make our dream of having a family a reality. They are always so helpful with any questions we have. The only weakness I can think of is contacting them. When you call the office you are sent to a voicemail where you are to leave a message and then they call back. They usually return my call quickly though.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I felt like he treated me like a human. I feel like he is truly doing everything he can to help us start a family. His bedside manner is great and talks to us like friends, not patients. I received not so great news from him over the phone after our first IUI and he told me he was praying for us. It really made me feel like he truly cared.
The nurses are great with answering any questions I have and returning my calls promptly. They always seem so caring and compassionate.
Dr. Burwinkel is great! He is very kind but also does not sugar-coat things which I like. I feel like he gives us his honest opinion of our treatment options. He speaks to us like actual humans, not just a number or patient. My husband has no medical background or experience and Dr. Burwinkel speaks to us in terms that he understands. He treats us in a way that makes us feel like he truly cares about us and is doing everything he can to help us start a family. I highly recommend Dr Burwinkel!
Have questions ready to ask before your appointment. He has been great at answering any questions we have. I feel like he gives us his honest opinion of our treatment options.
We started with using Letrozole, Ovidrel, and timed intercourse. I had taken Letrozole with my regular OB doctor and knew it worked but Dr. Burwinkel increased the dose and also continued Metformin I had previously been prescribed for PCOS. After 3 rounds of timed intercourse we moved on to IUI.
I was surprised by the cost in a good way! Much more affordable than most clinics I have heard of which is important because my health insurance does not cover fertility treatment.

Other, Unexplained
I am 28 in good health with no known fertility issues, after 3 medicated IUIs femara and ovidrel, an HSG was recommended to explore reason for not being successful, the diagnostic procedure found no concerns with my Fallopian tubes or uterus, we then tried a fourth unsuccessful attempt medicated IUI with femara and ovidrel. We were then recommended for IVF [at Institute for Reproductive Health]...didn’t notify me of having a nurse practitioner instead of doctor Scheiber for one of my ultrasounds which I was surprised and caught off guard. You also cannot reach someone directly you are required to leave a message and then wait for a call back.
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
They should have a mental health person/social worker, feels kind of like a fertility factory in ways. Definitely need to have someone be able to answer the phone it creates more stress constantly playing phone tag and waiting for call backs.
Dr. Scheiber made us feel like humans by using our names, asking how we were, shaking our hands, and being consistent through our our treatment. The only way we felt like a number is based on the short amount of time of each appointment.
They got my preferred name wrong several times, they also didn’t notify me of having a nurse practitioner instead of doctor Scheiber for one of my ultrasounds which I was surprised and caught off guard. You also cannot reach someone directly you are required to leave a message and then wait for a call back.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
It’s hard to trust someone in this very sensitive process. However, Dr. Scheiber was kind, consistent and confident in his manner when meeting with us. He also was always warm and understanding when we displayed strong emotions just providing us with all the information his recommendation but allowed for us to feel like we were making the decisions. Having him as our doctor makes me feel more calm in a setting that I naturally feel very anxious.
I wish we had discussed having a diagnostic procedure done such as an HSG before moving forward with donor sperm due to the cost of donor sperm. We did an HSG after 4 unsuccessful medicated IUI’s. It made me feel like we wasted vials and had to switch donors to move forward.
I am 28 in good health with no known fertility issues, after 3 medicated IUIs femara and ovidrel, an HSG was recommended to explore reason for not being successful, the diagnostic procedure found no concerns with my Fallopian tubes or uterus, we then tried a fourth unsuccessful attempt medicated IUI with femara and ovidrel. We were then recommended for IVF, we were offered to do double IUI with injectibles but our doctor expressed concern about high risk for multiples and IVF being safer for my body. Based on cost comparison, percentage of success; we decided to do IVF. We have male factor because of donor sperm female couple but other than that I at this point have unexplained infertility.
125 for a consult, 300 per unltrasound, 250 per IUI, 92 per ovidrel shot, 275 per Sperm wash, we did four cycles that way. It may cost us 2200 for the HSG we are waiting on the bill currently we have also spent 7,000 in donor sperm so far.
I don’t have any experience with this. We talked about transferring the most of 2 embryos if we make it to that stage with IVF.

2012 - 2018
We had great experiences at IRH, but we did have some troubles getting timely test results and figuring out how to pay our bills. I understand that my husband and I are different people and we have separate files, but it was like our files weren’t referenced with the other. It took a few days to get any answers about my husband’s SA. They didn’t call him. We called them and they couldn’t find anything to tell us. I found that part of the process to be a bit exhausting. It was a lot of back and forth with the office to get the answers that they said they were going to call us with several days earlier. I do understand that they’re busy and all we needed was for someone to give us a realistic timeline and we would’ve been less frustrated. Other than that, we had a solid “10” experience.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr. Burwinkel was always extremely patient. It didn’t matter how many questions we had or how many times we may have asked the same questions, he was always willing to answer them honestly and break down the answer to help us understand the process better, if necessary.
The nursing staff was always very friendly and efficient. They were always helpful in the office and always available for a chat over the phone if we had questions. I never felt like I was being ignored or put off in person or over the phone. Knowing that every patient is a priority put my mind at ease.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Burwinkel was always available for whatever we needed. He never rushed our visits, he was kind and patient, he was always thorough in explanation of drugs, procedures, next steps, risks, and outcome probability. I had to have a surgery at a local hospital and Dr. Burwinkel was right there updating my husband and performing the surgery before going into the clinic for the day. We couldn’t have had better care.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and express your concerns. He will address any concern you have as many times as you need.
We started with a routine clomid cycle with an ovidrel trigger because my cycles were normal and everything seemed to be “okay” with us. After that cycle failed, I had a hysteroscopy which showed some uterine polyps. Not long after I had a polypectomy and D&C to remove the polyps and thin out my uterine lining. Once that healed, we went back for another clomid cycle + IUI and that also failed. By this time, we had spent a lot of money out of pocket and had to take a break to recover.
I honestly can’t remember. We spent a lot of money in a short period of time, but I can’t remember any specifics.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Due to the size of the clinic [Inst for Repro Health] and volume of patients, there are always going to be aspects where you are a number, such as scheduling, but they've done an excellent job setting up a system and as long as you understand the system, they will meet your expectations....Call System: Don't expect to get a live person on the phone when you call. Leave a detailed message with what you need and if you have time restrictions on when you can take their return call let them know. They call you back within 24 hours 99% of the time.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Efficiency - They're a big clinic but they've got the process down to a science. Follow the process and you'll get what you need Compassion - The staff are extraordinarily compassionate. They care about your outcomes as much as you do. Knowledge/Expertise - IRH knows their stuff and does what they believe is in your best interest medically. Rotating Doctors: Don't go here and expect to have the same doctor every appointment. It's not possible. However, I will say that I have not had a bad experience with any doctor in the clinic. I feel 100% confident in the care and treatment I have gotten from each doctor there. Dr. Awadalla is my assigned doctor and he is wonderful. I have a particular soft spot for Dr. Burwinkle though as he's had to deal with some tough things with me through my treatment and he's a little more direct than Dr. A, which is good for my style. The other doctors are great too. Call System: Don't expect to get a live person on the phone when you call. Leave a detailed message with what you need and if you have time restrictions on when you can take their return call let them know. They call you back within 24 hours 99% of the time. Just follow the system.
Due to the size of the clinic and volume of patients, there are always going to be aspects where you are a number, such as scheduling, but they've done an excellent job setting up a system and as long as you understand the system, they will meet your expectations. Dr. Awadalla does an excellent job making you feel like a human. He takes his time to talk to you and answers any questions you have in a compassionate and educated manner.
The vast majority of the nurses are extremely well educated, compassionate, and very good with the patients. They've always taken time to answer my questions and they show tons of empathy in the difficult times. The head IVF Nurse Penny is absolutely incredible. I don't have enough words for how much she has helped in every aspect of our IVF process form ensuring we weren't billed too much to making sure the schedule works and answering every single question I had (or getting the answer from someone else if she didn't know). Believe me, I had a ton. There are a couple nurses (I don't know names) who I haven't meshed with all that well. I didn't necessarily take it as a reflection of their abilities, but rather that my communication style didn't mix well with theirs creating some confusion and anxiety on my end. However, overall that hasn't taken away from my experience in any way as there are tons of nurses there and they've always been awesome about referring me to another nurse if I had more questions or was worried about something. Don't be afraid to ask to talk to someone else!
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Awadalla has taken extremely good care of me during my treatment at IRH. He has always maintained a positive outlook for our eventual outcomes and is proactive in adjusting treatments based on the results of our previous cycles. His strengths lie in his knowledge and expertise in the fertility practice as well as his bedside manner. At times I did feel like he was trying to protect my feelings a little too much, which I appreciate, but being a person who requires lots of details and direct communication, it did sometimes leave me uncertain or with questions. However, once I was able to gather all of my questions, I was always able to get the answers and clarity I needed. I would most certainly recommend Dr. Awadalla to any patient as I feel like we are getting the best care possible with him and IRH.
Make sure to educate yourself and do not be afraid to ask questions, even if you call back after your appointment. They process a lot of patients at IRH but they are really great about taking the necessary time with you if you ask for it.
Cycle 1 - Femara, Ovidrel, Timed Intercourse - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 2 - Femara, Ovidrel,Timed Intercourse - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 3 - Femara, Ovidrel,Timed Intercourse - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 4 - Femara, Ovidrel, IUI - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 5 - Femara, Gonal F (Doses of 75iu to 150 iu), Ovidrel,IUI - Miscarriage, D&C, Genetic Testing showed Trisomy 22 Cycle 6 - Femara, Gonal F (Doses of 75iu to 150 iu), Ovidrel,IUI - Negative Prenancy Test Cycle 7 - Femara, Gonal F (Doses of 75iu to 150 iu), Ovidrel,IUI - Miscarriage, Cytotec Cycle 8 - Birth Control, Gonal F (Doses of 175iu), Cetrotide 25iu - Terminated Cycle due to poor follicle response Cycle 9 - CoQ10 & DHEA Supplements, Gonal F (Doses of 225 iu), Menopur 75iu, Cetrotide 25iu, Ovidrel - 6 Follicles, 3 Eggs Retrieved, 3 Eggs Mature, 3 Eggs Fertilized, 2 Embryos made it to Day 5 Blast and tested with PGS, 2 Abnormal Embryos (Trisomy 6, Trisomy 9) Cycle 10 - CoQ10, DHEA & Vitamin D Supplements, Gonal F (Doses of 250 iu), Menopur 75iu, Cetrotide 25iu, Ovidrel - TBD. Will do PGS Testing again if we have embryos to test.
Femara - Covered by insurance Ultrasound Scans about $300 per scan, covered by insurance IUI $250 plus cost of sperm washing (covered by husband's insurance) IUI Medications - Ordered through SMP Pharmacy $500 to $1.5K for Gonal F & Ovidrel IVF with PGS - $15,900.00 is their discounted rate and does not include medications or the PGS Testing Lab Fees (Ovation) PGS Testing Lab Fees - about $1,200 for a single cycle with 2 embryos tested, about $2200 for multi-cycle plan for up to 8 embryos tested IVF Medications - $2-5K for Gonal F, Cetrotide & Menopur per cycle
Dr. Awadalla is very pro-single embryo transfer and anti-multi embryo transfer except in special circumstances.
Cincinnati

They [the nurses at IRH] were always quick to respond to messages no matter how silly I thought they were. They were very positive and the nurses all seem to be in the right specialty. Each one told me good luck. One even made sure that my progesterone was no red pills because no one needed the additional stress of the pink. It was the little details... They offer global billing with my insurance so the pricing was great. Even without insurance it was a fraction of the cost of a normal cycle.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
You may not see "your" doctor for everything but it is okay. I saw all 4 doctors at different points and liked them all. Dr. Schrieber did most of my scans, Dr. Adawalla did my retrieval and Dr. O'Leary did my transfer. All were really nice and good at what they do.
The appointments were always on time but were also very fast, albeit effective. Sometimes if I didn't ask a question I didn't have things explained, but they knew what they were doing and were ALWAYS polite and the important bits made sure to make you aware.
They were always quick to respond to messages no matter how silly I thought they were. They were very positive and the nurses all seem to be in the right specialty. Each one told me good luck. One even made sure that my progesterone was no red pills because no one needed the additional stress of the pink. It was the little details.
He was always polite to us, and prior to treatment after my baseline he was extra nice getting me ready for my injections. I went into it more than feeling prepared for the cycle to begin. I had my options already laid out and decided.
Do it. The office is a great place. I love all the doctors.
Took the pill for about 2 weeks. Then had a suppression check. Got my initial doses, which were updated at my first scan and adjusted from there. Adjusted again at my next two, and ended up with 100% fertilized from mature eggs!
At first I was hesitant but then I understood. If the cycle isn't successful I will approach the issue of transferring two.

4 IUI, 1 IVF, Embryo Freezing
[IRH-Cincinnati is a] Huge clinic with many locations and years of experience. The only weakness is that the physician who did my transfer did not follow Dr. Awadalla’s plan in how many embryos to transfer, so i feel that consistency in situations that you must see multiple MDs is imperative.... Penny is incredibly kind and knowledgeable. Her bedside manner is great. Our educator, i can’t remember her name, but she was an ARNP, was equally as incredible. She was excited to teach, patient, and very knowledgeable. You can tell she loves her job.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr Awadalla is amazing! He is funny and kind, honest, and really takes the time to get to know his patients on a personal level.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: I spoke with several RNs. Penny, and an ARNP who educated us)
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
He made my husband and I feel comfortable immediately. He made sure both myself and my husband understood everything, and made us feel comfortable asking questions. He is honest and to the point, and has incredible bedside manner. We did one round of ivf with no eggs that survived to freeze and did not get a positive pregnancy test. He was so kind and called to check on us and offered an updated treatment plan. He is amazing.
He is great and they will love him.
After 4 failed IUIs his recommendation was to go straight to IVF with ICSI. His plan was to transfer 2 embryos however we went in over the weekend and another physician was on call and only transferred one. Unfortunately it did not result in a positive pregnancy and our other 2 embryos degraded before they were able to be frozen. Dr. Awadalla called and discussed a plan for higher stim with drugs next cycle to hopefully get more embryos and with a plan to do assisted hatching as well.
One cycle with ICSI that included a self pay discount was around $10,000 not including meds. My insurance covered visits and labs.
Due to my age, he wanted to transfer two.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Other
The biggest strength [Institute for Repro Health] is the people - everyone is so friendly that it really puts my mind at ease. But the biggest weakness is the telephone system. Being basic therapy and never being able to get through to an actual person is irritating. Running late for an appointment? There's no way to let the staff know.... Nursing staff actually seem to care about patients. I don't feel like "just another number" when I talk to them.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The biggest strength is the people - everyone is so friendly that it really puts my mind at ease. But the biggest weakness is the telephone system. Being basic therapy and never being able to get through to an actual person is irritating. Running late for an appointment? There's no way to let the staff know. Trying to decide if you need to go to urgent care/ER or if you might be overreacting? Leave a message and they'll call back "sometime". Both of these are situations I've experienced and it has been incredibly frustrating each time. Being a non-IVF patient is like being a second class citizen - you're not really important in their grand scheme of things.
Dr. Burwinkel has typically made a lot of time to answer all of my questions, but sometimes is busy and clearly trying to get through his patient list as quickly as possible.
Nursing staff actually seem to care about patients. I don't feel like "just another number" when I talk to them. They give the easiest and most painless blood draws I've ever experienced, and they actually seem interested in getting to know patients beyond what's on the chart.
Dr. Burwinkel is definitely a straight shooter. He's not one for false promises of success or sugar coating a point. However, this doesn't mean he's without empathy. He's provided wonderful care through my unsuccessful pregnancies and has always given me clear next steps for things we'll try next time. In 2018, we had success with his treatment and welcomed our daughter into the world.
Be completely honest about your history and situation in your consultation. He can't help to the best of his abilities without full and complete information.
Metformin for PCOS, folic acid/COQ-10 supplements for healthy eggs, Letrozole to boost egg health at time of ovulation, Ovidrel to stimulate ovulation. (RPL, basic therapy only)
Do not remember all costs.

2013 - 2018
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The clinic [Institute for Repro Health] is organized, clean and runs well. The low-tech billing seems to happen very rapidly. The IVF billing seems to be delayed, which means a longer delay before I can check the claims status online with my insurance company.... Most of the nurses that I have dealt with have been wonderful. They are familiar with the treatment regimens and able to answer questions. When I did call to report a Day 1 and ask if we should continue with the same approach, the nurse I spoke to told me it was up to me.
2013 - 2018
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is organized, clean and runs well. The low-tech billing seems to happen very rapidly. The IVF billing seems to be delayed, which means a longer delay before I can check the claims status online with my insurance company.
Dr Awadalla was honest with me and my situation at every step. He was compassionate when he delivered the news that I had miscarried.
Most of the nurses that I have dealt with have been wonderful. They are familiar with the treatment regimens and able to answer questions. When I did call to report a Day 1 and ask if we should continue with the same approach, the nurse I spoke to told me it was up to me. When I counted that I would like a recommendation from the experts, she continued to tell me that it was up to me. I had to push to have Dr Awadalla contacted to give input. When he called me, he actually had a different recommendation, so I felt validated in pushing. That has been the only interaction that I was not satisfied with, however.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr Awadalla determined why I could not conceive (missed by my GYN) and recommended surgery, which he performed. I conceived naturally in 3 cycles after that. For TTC#2, I was older and he shared his concerns with the likelihood of success. Early IUIs were successful, but did not result in live births. After 10 total IUIs, my course of treatment was only adjusted because I asked if it made sense to continue or to look at other options. We have moved on to IVF, but it is still early in the first cycle. I find Dr A to be very accurate in his assessments and knowledgeable. I trust that I am in good hands, for as much as medical science can help me at my age.
Ask a lot of questions. Dr Awadalla is happy to explain the details to patients who are interested. Also ask at what point you should have a consult to evaluate the plans, so you know what to expect.
TTC #1 (age 38): Dx: uterine fibroids, blocked Fallopian tube. Tx: Myomectomy, salpingectomy (tube could not be saved and was removed). Resulted in live birth, conceived naturally in 3 cycles. TTC #2 (age 41): DX: unexplained infertility (age). Tx: IUI with 5mg Femara CD 3-7. IUIs 1 and 4 resulted in pregnancy, but not live birth. Likely due to poor egg quality. Repeated for IUI 5-8 because successful getting pregnant, but waiting for a better quality egg. For IUI 9 and 10, added Follistim (IUI 9: CD 7-10, 50IU; IUI 10: CD 7-11, 100IU). BFN. Given option to select surgery to recheck remaining Fallopian tube or IVF. Started IVF. Currently on CD 9: 5mg Femara CD 3-7, Gonal-F 300IU CD5-10, Cetritide CD10, rest of days/dosage TBD.
With insurance (assuming deductible was paid and yearly maximum for benefits not met), an IUI cycle was roughly $75 out of pocket, not including medications.

3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] is very clean and professional. The front desk person was always friendly and helpful! The donor coordinator was so helpful during the whole process, making me feel very comfortable. The main drawback was feeling like a number in the clinic without getting any further testing that was requested.... The nurses were very knowledgeable and answered questions very thoroughly.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very clean and professional. The front desk person was always friendly and helpful! The donor coordinator was so helpful during the whole process, making me feel very comfortable. The main drawback was feeling like a number in the clinic without getting any further testing that was requested.
explanations of treatments were never given. Monitoring visits were always very rushed, and when I asked questions during he would refer me to the nursing staff as if he couldn’t be bothered to answer.
The nurses were very knowledgeable and answered questions very thoroughly.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Appointments always felt very rushed. If I had questions during the appointment, he didn’t answer, but referred me to the nursing staff. When asking for further testing after an early loss, I felt treated as a child asking for a second piece of cake. Treatment plans never changed, nor were any further tests recommended after several failed transfers. The only solution seemed to be to throw another complete round of donor egg ivf at us.
Be very knowledgeable about treatment options and advocate for yourself! Be very blunt in asking for answers to any questions you may have!
For frozen embryo transfers 1-3, estrace was started at day 1, 3X per day. Progesterone was started 5 days before transfer. 1 early loss and 2 negatives. FET 4 was a “natural cycle” with with follicle monitoring. Once follicle was big enough, we did the trigger shot to release the egg. FET was then a week later. Progesterone was started 5 days before the transfer. Transfer resulted in a negative beta.
Cincinnati

The misinformation [from Institute for Reproductive Health] occured when our second ivf cycle failed and the next steps that were suggested were to PGS with the next retrieval cycle. However, after our failed FET a year later the next steps weren't to use PGS testing, but instead we needed donor eggs to proceed with IVF. Nonetheless, a natural pregnancy occurred less then three months after the FET chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Overall, I think the clinic is great. However, it would be nice to have a specific nurse in the clinic assigned to your case. Given the size of their practice this would be hard. Regardless, the nurses I saw from education days, IUIs, retrievals, and transfers were wonderful.
We felt like a number because information after our first failed IVF retrieval and transfer, completely changed from our chemical pregnancy FET a year later. After the chemical pregnancy only, it was mentioned that we needed to consider donor eggs, yet went on two months later to conceive naturally.
The nursing staff was great. They were a big part of the reason we stayed there for 2.5 years.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Burwinkel's strengths are he is very kind, his bedside manner is great. His cons are not taking time to explain why decisions would change so quickly. He did well in explaining the course of treatment, but when the course of treatment didn't work, we felt as if the course of treatment was never changed. MFI wasn't deeply explored or even suggested we should see a reproductive urologist, we took that initiative on our own. After the chemical pregnancy, we went back to our obgyn and she found that I had FVL and MTHFR as reasons why we could be miscarrying.
Ask lots of questions. Be educated on what options are available to you with all scenarios.
IUIs- Femara with Ovidrel trigger shot Retrieval #1- BCPs, Gonal F, cetrotide, ovidrel trigger Retrieval #1- Gonal F, Cetrotide, Menopur, Ovidrel trigger FET- Estradiol orally, prometrium vaginally
Our first two cycles we were blessed with insurance coverage, however our copay on each cycle was 1,000. Medications for the two cycles ran us 7,000. FET cost us 4,500, medications were covered under insurance.
IVF #1- single embryo transfer at age 29 IVF #2- double embryo transfer at age 30 FET- single embryo transfer, only had one embryo left
Cincinnati

Phone system [at IRH] is stressful for the patient, it’s really hard to get a hold of an actual person. No one ever goes over finances for procedures other than IVF. They send everything to insurance, so bills come in randomly. Everyone is super nice! Always with a smile on their faces!... In office the nurses were very helpful, they explained everything with great care and always with a smile. To get ahold of them out of office is very difficult, always playing phone tag. A couple times, I was so stressed because I wasn’t able to get ahold of them, and needed a refill of meds I needed to start that day.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Phone system is stressful for the patient, it’s really hard to get a hold of an actual person. No one ever goes over finances for procedures other than IVF. They send everything to insurance, so bills come in randomly. Everyone is super nice! Always with a smile on their faces!
Most times he was rushed, went through injection times very quickly. The first cycle with IUI, his nurse asked is the NP in could complete the procedure because he was busy.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I believe Dr Awadalla is a very intelligent and caring Dr, who’s very experienced. That being said, I think he thought my case was an open and shut case- he didn’t find the need to have my husband tested. We went through 2 rounds of timed intercourse, until I asked about getting my husband tested— which resulted in low count, so we were only eligible for IUI, I felt like we wasted time and expenses. Most appointment are short and he rushes in and out, I always have to ask the nurses what’s going on after. Our next round is IVF, and he has yet to explain the procedure and process.
Ask lots of questions. Research procedures, medications, ahead of time so you can get the information he might not tell you.
Diagnosed with PCOS: Peometrium to jump start my cycle. Day 3-7 femora to stimulate maturation Day 10 ultrasound (On all five of my cycles, I had to redose femora due to follicles not responding). Ovidrel shot to induce ovulation Timed intercourse/IUI once follicles we’re 12-20mm.
Currently, we’re are around $10k.
Cincinnati

The nurses [at IRH[ were absolutely wonderful. I fell in love with many of them. They were the last people you saw before leaving the clinic and there were many times I had to stop at the checkout desk and just cry. They were compassionate, helpful, empathetic and truly became my friends along the way...My total cost for our IVF cycle was $9300. That included ICSI...The clinic is big, beautiful, and my favorite part was that it was filled with positive affirmations. There were quotes on the walls, bible verses strategically placed. The decor was subtle and calming. No weaknesses about the clinic. I was a patient and 3 fertility clinics and this one was by far the nicest.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr. Scheiber remembered specific details about our case. He personally called back when I would call to leave a message.
The nurses were absolutely wonderful. I fell in love with many of them. They were the last people you saw before leaving the clinic and there were many times I had to stop at the checkout desk and just cry. They were compassionate, helpful, empathetic and truly became my friends along the way. I couldn’t have made it through this without the nurses. They were wonderful.
Dr. Scheiber was extremely informative and detailed. He took the time to explain everything in ways we could understand. He listened patiently while we spoke. I felt comfortable talking with him and he made sure we covered every question on my list before ending our visit. He didn’t rush through any ultrasound, consult, phone conversation. The ONLY thing that frustrated me was that I didn’t see Dr. Scheiber throughout my entire IVF cycle. His partnering doctors would sometimes do my ultrasounds, egg retrieval, etc.
Show up with a list of all of your questions. He will answer them all.
For my IVF cycle, I was on 5 weeks of birth control (the long length of time was due to an ovarian cyst we were waiting to dissolve). My stimulation protocol required 300mg Follistim, 75mg Menopur, and 1 syringe of Ganirelix beginning on day 5. The results didn’t yield exactly what we had hoped. I was on stims for 11 days, and they retrieved 3 eggs. After my egg retrieval I began 300mg of Endometrin daily.
My total cost for our IVF cycle was $9300. That included ICSI. Our medication was ordered through MDR pharmacy and the total for that was $2800. Our consultation with Dr. Scheiber was $166.
Dr. Scheiber put both of my 2 embryos back in on day 2. They were healthy but given the fact that I only had 2, Dr. Scheiber said they were better off in me than in a lab. This gave us a higher chance of blastocysts.

2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
The staff [Inst for Repro Health] are so great and know you by name . Always there to answer questions however I would say it would be nice to get to talk to someone when you call inst ad of leaving a message but they do return your call the same day and always there to answer questions! I absolutely love the staff at Irh would remmond to anyone and have sent two friends to them... I can’t say enough great things about the nursing staff they truly do care and take pride in what they do and actually get to know you and your story !
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The staff are so great and know you by name . Always there to answer questions however I would say it would be nice to get to talk to someone when you call inst ad of leaving a message but they do return your call the same day and always there to answer questions! I absolutely love the staff at Irh would remmond to anyone and have sent two friends to them
I feel that the nurses and staff were so compassionate and amazing. Dr A was very positive throughout the miscarriages and also kept us feeling like we could /can make this a positive pregnancy! He does need to slow down at times and explain more detail information
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Ivf nurse staff)
Amazing I can’t say enough great things about the nursing staff they truly do care and take pride in what they do and actually get to know you and your story ! Always have me hope and made me feel so great and got me through some really hard times that I will never forget
He needs to slow down and explain in more detail such as the egg quality and everything seen on the ultrasound and this is also were he needs to slow down! Very knowledge of this area of medicine and was so great with my Miscarriage and performing my d &c . I wish he performed more of my procedures since he is my main doctor but I do understand that we have to see all doctors and the busy schedule. Dr A is very well known for his expertise and I very much trust him and his opinion
Trust the process and be patient and make sure you ask questions and make sure to to tell him to slow down and explain everything! Write everything down and leave knowing what the best steps are
I have done 2 ivf cycles and I will admit the shots were hard but they make me stronger as a person ! My first cycle I got pregnant the first time and then lost my baby at around 8 weeks ( was at my graduation appointment and the baby had no heartbeat) then had to have a d&c which dr a did. Then two frozen cycles one negative and one positive pregnancy which resulted in another miscarriage at 5 weeks . Currently one second ivf cycle drag transfer was a negative and currently doing a frozen cycle keeping fingers crossed for positive and a healthy baby and pregnancy. We also did isci for all and this time will be doing assisting hatching husband has low sperm count. They did up my meds second cycle and my body responded very well and had a great egg retrieval
Very nice expensive but do get self payment discount due to insurance coverage. Have to pay before any cycle no payment plan by schedule
First ivf and fresh suggested only one which we did and after that we have done two and he has been supportive and acknowledges our wishes

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] is clean. They explain everything that is expected of the patient. Everyone is welcoming and nice. The only negative that I have to say about the clinic is that when you do call it is hard to speak to a live person right away. Typically you have to leave a message and they will call you back if it is left before 4pm. That is the only negative that I have encountered.
European, Black or African-American
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is ran like a very well oiled machine. The clinic is clean. They explain everything that is expected of the patient. Everyone is welcoming and nice. The only negative that I have to say about the clinic is that when you do call it is hard to speak to a live person right away. Typically you have to leave a message and they will call you back if it is left before 4pm. That is the only negative that I have encountered.
I never felt like a number to this doctor. After getting referred to a reproductive endocrinologist I felt like our infertility journey got real. I couldn’t believe that we were heading down the road of needing extra assistance to get to our ultimate goal of having a baby. To say that I was nervous before our first appointment is an understatement. In the days leading up to the appointment it was all that I could think about. On the day of our first consultation upon first meeting Dr. Scheiber my nerves instantly melted away. He was very personable and took his time with me and my husband. He listened to our concerns and wanted the full back story on what lead up to seeking treatment from him. He devised a plan for us and was very up front and honest about the entire process. Speaking to him almost felt like talking to an old friend. He made starting this whole process under his monitoring very easy for us and for that I am very appreciative.
All nursing staff that I have encountered have been very nice and knowledgeable about procedures and processes. They return phone calls promptly which when you are going through this process can be very helpful in alleviating any anxiety that you may have.
My experience as a patient of Dr. Scheiber has been nothing short of amazing. From the very beginning he made me and my husband feel very comfortable. Talking to him about our problems felt like talking to an old friend. He took his time with us to understand our problems and what led us to requiring further fertility treatment. Before the end of our first appointment he wanted to complete a full assessment of me, lab work and an ultrasound. He was straight forward about my diagnosis and very upfront about costs and expectations. I would recommend this doctor to anyone experiencing infertility issues.
Go into the appointment with an open mind and open ears. Prepare to be upfront and honest with the doctor because he will be the same with you. Come prepared with any questions that you may have. Try not to be nervous because you will instantly made to feel comfortable, wondering why you were so worried to begin with.
Dr. Scheiber is currently treating us with femara, ovidrel and IUI. His rationale for starting there was that since my husbands sperm analysis came back not as good as it could’ve been, combined with my problems he believed IUI would work for us.
Dr. Scheiber from the beginning was very transparent and honest about the expected costs associated with he treatment that we were receiving. I never felt deceived or lied to. Which I definitely appreciate.

Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
We participated in a money back garuantee program [at Institute for Reproductive Health]. The cost was a little more than $20,000 not including medications. This cost about another $7,000. We were seen for 2 fresh cycles and 1 frozen during this time...The clinic was always clean, very professional, compassionate employees, and readily available staff to help. Our experience couldn’t have been better. They worked around my teaching schedule and helped make sure that I could maintain my job obligations and work on growing my family.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The doctors and staff at IRH were exceptional. They knew me by name, listened to my concerns, and were always considerate of how emotionally trying IVF is. They became my cheerleaders and a major support system during this difficult time.
The nurses were so helpful! They also knew me by name without my chart in their hands. They answered my questions constantly and never made me feel silly for asking the same questions over and over again. They were a huge part of my experience at IRH. The day we heard our babies heartbeat, they gathered around to see ultrasound pics in the hallway and cheered as we left when we “graduated.” I remember feeling so excited but so sad not to be with their amazing staff!
Dr. Burwinkel was exceptional. He was easy to talk to and took time to explain all of our options and each course of action. He was on time, readily available anytime we had questions, and showed compassion while being upfront and honest about the situation. I highly recommend him and the staff at IRH.
Be patient & Dr. Burwinkel and his staff will do anything they can to help you through this difficult process. Ask questions and when you forget the answers don’t be afraid to reach out and ask again. Dr. B and his staff are so kind and patient!
We used chlomid for two cycles and then moved on to two fresh cycles of IVF and one frozen. The fresh cycles caused excessive bloating and Dr. B monitored me very closely. I never felt unsafe and always felt like they took my care at the highest priority.
We participated in a money back garuantee program at IVF. The cost was a little more than $20,000 not including medications. This cost about another $7,000. We were seen for 2 fresh cycles and 1 frozen during this time.
Dr. Burwinkel did a single embryo transfer the first time and then two embryo transfers with two. He talked us through the pros and cons of both, told us his recommendation, and listened to our concerns and wants. Ultimately it was a collective decision that I felt very good about.
Cincinnati

They [Institute For Reproductive Health] know what they are doing and are almost like a well oiled machine. They all work very well together and are very professional. Their compassion goes a long way...The nursing staff are just as passionate about their jobs as the doctors. They love to celebrate your success with you. Nurse Melinda was the one with me during egg retrieval and transfer day. She called me the day of my beta with the results and told me she wrote down when my beta day was because she wanted to be the one to call me with good news. It touched my heart that she felt that invested and excited for me!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
They are a very successful clinic. They know what they are doing and are almost like a well oiled machine. They all work very well together and are very professional. Their compassion goes a long way and the fact that they host a “baby reunion” every other year shows just how much they love the OUTCOME of their jobs. Not the money they are making.
Dr. Scheiber was so great with us. He was the second doctor we were seeing, after two failed rounds of IUI. Our doctor was leaving the practice and we didn’t like the other doctors in the practice. We went to IRH because we heard good things about them and knew their results were good. He took the time to do a consult, examine me again for his own evaluation and then told us our best shot was to go straight to IVF. He said usually they wouldn’t allow us to do the money back program because of how bad my endometriosis was, but he fought for us with the rest of his team and talked to the board to get us approved for it. Luckily it worked after just one cycle, but it gave us piece of mind to know we had a certain number of tries to have a successful live birth. We had our son in March 2017 and ended up getting pregnant on our own, not even trying, in May 2018. We went back to him for the first few weeks and he was happy to take us under his care even though he didn’t actually help with this pregnancy. That definitely made me feel like more than just a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr. Scheiber clearly cares about his patients. He always came in, addressed you by name, shook your hand and sat down to really take the time to explain things and listen to ALL questions. He was happy when things were going well and clearly loves what he does.
I have stage 4 endometriosis in both ovaries, he knew this could cause issues with my egg quality when retrieved so he was very careful during retrieval to try and avoid the large cysts. He did have to go through one of them to get some of my eggs and explained that this could mean they were basically contaminated and wouldn’t fertilize. Well it ended up working out and all 24 eggs retrieved were healthy. During my cycle I don’t remember all the medicine I took, but I do remember that at my last scan, he could see I had a LOT of eggs and was worried I’d have issues after retrieval. So instead of taking all of my ovidrel the night before retrieval, he had me take a small amount of that mixed with another drug that was shown to help reduce inflammation after retrieval. Whatever he did worked, because I had no issues after retrieval and we were able to do a fresh transfer.
We paid around $20,000 for the IVF money back guarantee program.
Dr. Scheiber was great with us for our transfer. My husband and I went into it thinking we wanted to transfer two. Dr. Scheiber explained to us that based on our embryos grade, plus my age and health of my uterus that we had a VERY good chance of getting pregnant. He said if I transfer two that because of my size, I’d most likely have trouble carrying twins, so for the health of me and the baby he recommended just one. We are so thankful we listened to his advice.
Cincinnati

The staff is friendly and supportive but its so many people that you dont know who is who. Going through IVF, I was not assigned a personal care nurse and I had one at my other clinic, so be prepared to have anyone call you back or assist you ... You never speak to a live person which I also do not like. ... There is a nurse team and you never know who you will work with. I do not like this approach because I dont want a different nurse everytime I have a question or concern. I can not tell you any of the nurses names in the practice and if you call, you get a voicemail.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr. Burwinkle is a very passionate physician and took the time to go over all of my medical history as well as my spouse and has always been present for all of my transfers and retrievals. With 3 doctors now in that practice, anyone could handle your transfer. He has always given us the good and bad but alwaya remains positive to give us peace of mind. He is an awesome physician
There is a nurse team and you never know who you will work with. I do not like this approach because I dont want a different nurse everytime I have a question or concern. I can not tell you any of the nurses names in the practice and if you call, you get a voicemail. You never speak to a live person which I also do not like.
Dr. Burwinkel makes you feel like you matter and not a science experiment. We had gotten a negative pregnancy result (January 2018) and he called me on a Saturday morning and explained our next steps and just took the time to sympathize with me. We've been going through fertility treatments for several years now and hes by far the best doctor Ive had. I had a miscarriage in June 2018 and he sat down with myself and husband just to talk about how we were feeling.
In the beginning he may not say much because he's doing alot of assessment and trying to find the best plan for you. But once he starts to share his plan and concerns, here comes all the compassion and long talks :)
For our transfer, we collectively decided to do ERA testing ( since we had 2 consecutive failed transfers) during a mock transfer to determine if we were transferring on the correct day. I took estradiol and progesterone 3xs/day and until transfer and then we did the procedure. The test turned out to be very useful. After the results came back and we did our normal transfer we go pregnant (ended in miscarriage).
General cost was around 7k
For multiples, he has made suggestions to us to try it but ultimately it was our decision on what we wanted to do.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
I love the IRH nursing staff. They showed as much compassion as the doctors do. Many times I saw the nurses more often, due to blood draws. They are just as informed as the doctors and always answered any questions that I had.... Every time I walked into IRH, I felt as if people knew who I was. There was a receptionist who greeted us upon entry. We never had a long wait time in the waiting room, they valued our time as employed adults.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
IRH has no weaknesses. I would, and have, recommended IRH to anyone who is going through fertility problems. I never had an issue with scheduling or appointments. The wait time in the waiting room and the treatment room was minimal. My husband and I were very lucky to be able to cover the cost of our fertility treatments; however, I know that they are great with working with families on payment plans if they cannot cover the cost at once.
Every time I walked into IRH, I felt as if people knew who I was. There was a receptionist who greeted us upon entry. We never had a long wait time in the waiting room, they valued our time as employed adults. Dr. Burwinkel and staff always greeted us by name and remember what it was that we were here for. He celebrated with us in successful treatment and mourned with us with each loss of pregnancy.
I owe my chance at becoming a mother to Dr. Burwinkel. From our first visit he treated myself and my husband with respect and always gave us the most honest information. He never promised that he would make me a mother, but told me that he would do anything to help me become one. He answered every question that I had, and I had a lot of them. Every treatment was fully explained. I never felt as if I was unaware of what was happening to my body. He was compassionate with each loss that we experienced and gave us the facts each time there was a setback. When we were finally able to have a full term pregnancy and I gave birth to my little boy in April 2018.
Do your own research and never be afraid to ask questions.
I took Letrozole (similar to Clomid), we did the injection to release my eggs and then did IUI. I had four rounds of IUI. Two resulted in miscarriages and one was a viable pregnancy.
Fertility treatment is not cheap. Each round of IUI cost about $900 including pills, shots, doctor appointments, and procedures. In addition to the IUIs, I had to have laparoscopic surgery for the chemical pregnancy and a D&C for the miscarriages. Each of these procedures was an additional cost.

2014 - 2018
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
I have to say this clinic [IRH-Cincinnati] is great so no negatives to note. Very professional and courtesy as well as caring staff. They always make you feel welcome and have never made us feel unwelcome or a bother to them.... Nursing staff had always been pleasant to work with. They are compassionate and always get back to you in a timely manner.... For self pay we paid around $20,000 in 2014 with meds and all. This included a failed cycle and a full IVF cycle then our last egg was frozen which resulted in a baby girl. We now have insurance and it’s nice that they have a global with our insurance because that helps a lot!
2014 - 2018
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I have to say this clinic is great so no negatives to note. Very professional and courtesy as well as caring staff. They always make you feel welcome and have never made us feel unwelcome or a bother to them.
Dr. Scheiber always put my feelings first and was very understanding with my problems and what I was going through. He is a very caring doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr. scheiber helped me understand fully everything that would be done and was so positive through our entire process. He never once made me feel like our IVF wasn’t going to work. He was always very upfront and honest but also caring and helpful at the same time.
He’s the best! There isn’t anyone better! We made the mistake of seeing another RE (because we thought it would be cheaper) and have since went back to him!
I was on stims like most and our first cycle was cancelled because I had one follicle taking over on one side. He cancelled and started a new protocol that worked better for me. We ended up with 6 eggs and 3 fertilized. The first two were transferred and we were pregnant but miscarried and the last egg was put in from frozen and we became pregnant again. She is 3 years old and the best blessing ever!
I agree with whatever he thinks is the best.
Cincinnati

Both the Cincinnati and Florence locations of the clinic [IRH] are clean and organized. The Cincinnati location in particular is actually quite beautiful! The environment is warm and professional, with elegant furniture and a clean space.... The nursing staff is always friendly and knowledgeable. Prior to conceiving my first born, they always showed compassion and interest. Once I had conceived, before being released to my OBGYN, the nurses were always quick and happy to answer the many questions I had and to offer comfort and understanding for my concerns.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Both the Cincinnati and Florence locations of the clinic are clean and organized. The Cincinnati location in particular is actually quite beautiful! The environment is warm and professional, with elegant furniture and a clean space.
Dr. Awadalla was so warm. He always seems excited to see me. He is open and direct, while also taking emotions into account. Our whole infertility experience changed when we went into his office.
Dr. Awadalla is wonderful: he is both kind and extremely knowledgeable. My experience conceiving my first son was vastly different from attempts with a previous doctor. I felt Dr. Awadalla was taking care of me and my family rather than just trying to help us get pregnant.
GO FOR IT!
I have PCOS. I took progestin to induce a period and then took Femara for (I believe) about a week. Then I went in for an ultrasound to determine if my follicles were ready. As they were, that night my husband gave me a triggering shot in the thigh and the next morning we went to the Cincinnati office to collect my husbands sample and complete the IUI. We found out several weeks later that we were pregnant with our son. We are now preparing to attempt baby number two and will follow the same process, minus the progestin as I have had a period since I stopped breastfeeding my son.

PCOS, Tubal Blockage
When I have called [the nurses at Institute for Reproductive Health], and been sent to voicemail they always have called me back in a timely fashion, and any paperwork that I have needed has also been sent quickly...The nursing staff works very hard, yet they always have a smile on their faces. When we received that dreaded phone call that says "I'm so sorry, but your test was negative," the nurses were compassionate, and disappointed along with us. You can just tell that phone call is one that they absolutely do not like making. It is not routine to them.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The strengths I would hit on when I talked to a new patient would be about waiting. I would tell the patient that the wait time is not long. They get us in and out in a timely manner. I would also tell them that their opinions do matter, and their wants also matter to this medical team. The weakness that would hit on would be about awkward situations. Fertility procedures can get awkward. This is something that they do every day, not much can surprise them. An example, when my husband went in to give a sample of his sperm, we were taken back when the nurse asked, "Would your wife like to join you." Yes we are all adults, but that was just not something that we thought would be asked or even thought about. To them though, it happens, and its ok.
He has always called me by my first name, and he doesn't have to look at my chart to remember my history. When we did get pregnant, and we went for the first ultra sound he asked us to come to his office, told us delicately that we would only have a 50% chance to carry the baby because of a small sack. After the second ultrasound he said "go ahead get dressed, and meet me in my office." I told Dr. A that I didn't want to meet in his office because last time we didn't get good news. He complied, let me get dressed, and he came back into our room. We found out that the baby had a heart beat, but the sack was just getting smaller. Dr. A then gave us a 25% chance. He let us come back for a third ultrasound. and that's when we found out that the baby no longer had a heartbeat. Dr. A gave me the options that I needed, a box of Kleenex, and let me cry in his office until I was ready to leave. He has also called me himself, and asked me not to give up because the embryos we have now are high quality, and he believes that we will have a healthy pregnancy.
The nursing staff works very hard, yet they always have a smile on their faces. When we received that dreaded phone call that says "I'm so sorry, but your test was negative," the nurses were compassionate, and disappointed along with us. You can just tell that phone call is one that they absolutely do not like making. It is not routine to them. When I have called, and been sent to voicemail they always have called me back in a timely fashion, and any paperwork that I have needed has also been sent quickly.
Dr. Awadalla has great bed side manners, patience, and compassion for his patients. He gives time to explain what needs to be explained, and questions that need to be answered. He also abides by our wishes. I have a very short stature, one of the first things that I told Dr. A was that I was not ok transferring more than two embryos. Dr. A completely understood, and actually the clinics policy is to only transfer one or two embryos.
I would tell a prospective patient to be ready. Dr. A and his team are on it. It's a tough journey, but it can also be a quick journey. After meds, and cycles are figured out its a whirl wind from there. Everything with fertility has to be timed just right, and from my experiences Dr. A has timed it just right. I would also tell them to listen to the doctors, they know what they are doing.
Both my cycles have been very similar. I have started off with about 17 days of birth control. I was then off three days, and than I started injections for 10 days. I had injected Gonal F, Menopur, and Centrotide. I can't remember which injection out of the three, but he only added it during my second cycle. After that, I had taken my trigger shot. He also had me taking Estrodial and Progesterone. I was taking those two even after my transfer.
I don't remember the full cost, but I believe around $8200 for a fresh cycle, and $7000 for a frozen cycle.
The Cincinnati of Reproductive Health approach on multiple embryo transfer is most usually only two at the most, but from my experience if the embryos are high quality they only like to transfer one.
Cincinnati

The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] is very nice. They have a few satellite offices that really help since Greater Cincinnati is so big. They have recently added a nurse practitioner who is able to help with some appointments which makes wait times better and scheduling easier. I know they often have support group nights but I have never attended.... My appointments were scheduled within the monitoring window and it worked out well.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very nice. They have a few satellite offices that really help since Greater Cincinnati is so big. They have recently added a nurse practitioner who is able to help with some appointments which makes wait times better and scheduling easier. I know they often have support group nights but I have never attended. My biggest suggestion would be for them to have an actual counselor on site who is able to help couples mentally and emotionally prepare. It is by far the scariest and hardest thing I ever had to go through and I felt like I was just winging it so much of the time. Someone like this or even information on resources that people can reach out to on their own would be a giant help. All of the doctors are really great. I can't speak for any other clinics, but overall I have been very happy with Dr. Scheiber and IRH. We are just still waiting for our happy ending. Sadly, a lot of times things just come down to finances and that is just a sad fact of life in this country.
Most of the time I completely felt like a human but there were a few times that it was so busy that I could tell I was being rushed through.
They were always very warm and caring. They work very hard. Sometimes it would take awhile to hear back but that is only because they are busy with their patients in the office too.
He is a wonderful doctor and person. I don't think the reason we have been unsuccessful is his fault. I wish we hadn't rushed into IVF, but he did feel that my age was a bigger factor than I feel it is. He is warm and caring but he is very by the book and often hesitates to change protocols. But he knows what he is doing. He has been in the business a very long time.
Understand that he is a human doctor, not god. He has limitations and nothing is guaranteed. Know that he is always willing to sit down and talk to you, just make sure you call and schedule the time for the sake of his time and yours.
We started out with Letrozole, which I did respond to, but I was not conceiving. We moved onto Letrozole with Trigger Shot and IUI, and I still was not successful. I took a break for a few months and then did IVF. We did this because I was approaching age 35. 8 eggs were retrieved and we ended up with 3 embryos. My first transfer was fresh and it ended in a Chemical Pregnancy. I took a break for several months before I transferred a frozen embryo but that failed. Right now we are just waiting before we do anything else because of finances.
Pretty efficient. I definitely never waited in line or anything like that. My appointments were scheduled within the monitoring window and it worked out well.
I know our insurance helped cover our inseminations, so I can't remember the cost of those. I believe our fresh IVF cycle was $9000 and my frozen cycle was $4500, not including meds.
Dr. Scheiber always let me choose. He is very pro eSET, which makes a lot of sense. Financially, I see why people often transfer more than 1, but eSET is the safest option for the health of the babies should you conceive so that is what we always did.

1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The clinic [Institute for Repro Health] was clean and support staff was great. Be prepared for several canceled appointments due to scheduling issues on their part... The nurses were kind and patient but we had many scheduling mistakes. On more than 3 occasions we had to change appointment times because of a scheduling conflict on their end. They also wrote down a protocol completely wrong & scratched out everyone to rewrite it after we pointed out their mistake.
European, Latino
1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was clean and support staff was great. Be prepared for several canceled appointments due to scheduling issues on their part, we had about 5. Ask all of the questions and do your own research.
Never present, never remembered us.
The nurses were kind and patient but we had many scheduling mistakes. On more than 3 occasions we had to change appointment times because of a scheduling conflict on their end. They also wrote down a protocol completely wrong & scratched out everyone to rewrite it after we pointed out their mistake. Another big reason you should educate yourself. My husband has very low spent count so we wanted to freeze a few vials to be safe before egg retrieval. There was a miscommunication there & they were never frozen so he had to go back in. We were 100% out of pocket so taking time off of work & scheduling these appointments was very hard for us.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Several miscommunication errors. On our first day one one D.R. Schiber had us down for an IUI when we have to do IVF, we were prescribed the wrong medicine and 2 months lost. (Travel following month). Once we started our IVF cycle we were anticipated to get 4 eggs but only retrieved one. We did know that there was this possibility but we never got a clear answer of why. The retrieving doctor (Dr Awadalla) told us something different from Dr Schiber. Dr Schiber said he would get back to us after discussing with Dr Awadalla but that never happened. We never had a follow up call after our one embryo arrested. I had to follow up and wait two more months for another ‘consultation. Our next IVF cycle was canceled due to inconsistent growth. Following the canceled cycle we decided to go with donor embryos. Our nurse practitioner told us that the quality of the two donor embryos was good & great. Once I received my medical records from the Institute for Reproductive Health it showed that the embryos were actually rated good & poor. The donor cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy and once my beta numbers dropped I never received a call from the doctor. I even went in with terrible left side pain and never received a call following up with me. We have very specific fertility problems yet didn’t feel like we were on a tailored plan. I left the practice and found that my next doctor did throughout testing before starting an IVF cycle with us. We felt as if they just wanted out money and did not truly care if it worked for us, especially since we would never receive a call when each cycle did not result in a pregnancy. We never felt like Dr Schiber truly knew who we were and he was very quick during office visits. We never felt like we had a chance to ask him questions & felt as if we were a bother to him.
Ask questions even if you feel rushed and educated yourself before your visit. You know your body best and if you have specific concerns do your best to be heard.
Antagonist - Femara, 75 Menopur/200 Gonal F adding certrotide. Canceled cycles was a Microdose Lupron flare.
9500 for full IVF cycle not including Medication. 4500 for donor embryo transfer.
We did not make it this far with our own embryos and we had to transfer the two donor at the same time because they were frozen together.
Cincinnati

The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] is an A+ rating for me. The cleanliness and yearly protocol is above industry standards. There are private rooms to discuss treatments and each room feels comfortable rather than a dark black hole. ... They [nursing staff] were compassionate, caring and patient. As a first timer they answered all my million questions and were honest with feedback. After our failed cycle I wa a broken but they counseled us through it providing hope and faith this would all work our.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is an A+ rating for me. The cleanliness and yearly protocol is above industry standards. There are private rooms to discuss treatments and each room feels comfortable rather than a dark black hole.
I drove 2 hours multiple times a week to see Dr Awadala. I didn’t get to spend as much time with him as I wanted and I was frustrated that I had driven so far for about 3 minutes with him. However, it was his staff that really made me feel human. They were patient as I asked many questions, they were quick to return calls, and always honest with me. They weren’t brutal but encouraging with the devastating news that our first embryo transfer of the twins was not successful. While it was difficult, they counseled me through the pain with enlightenment and positivity.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Bridget)
I posted briefly earlier on this bit anticipate this question but the staff deserves their own review. FIVE STARS! They were compassionate, caring and patient. As a first timer they answered all my million questions and were honest with feedback. After our failed cycle I wa a broken but they counseled us through it providing hope and faith this would all work our.
He is to the point but his beside manners are compassionate. He’s direct without being discouraging. He offers insight to best practices and doesn’t compare you to others. He often would make me laugh and smile during the most difficult time of our life.
Be prepared with questions when you arrive to ask him because when put on the spot, we often forgot and would have to get answers from his staff rather than him. Visits with him were VERY quick.
Dr. A started me on a low dose of Follistem and we quickly jumped to the highway to get my eggs to react. He monitored them 3x a week leading up to retrieval and has blood work drawn in our local clinic a couple times as well to monitor levels. Once retrieval was complete we asked to do icsi to which he replied that it was necessary because nothing was showing it would be an issue for my eggs to fertilize and it wasn’t worth the extra cost associated. Looking back I wish he would have honored our request as we only had 3 viable embryos. He did a 3 days fresh transfer of our best looking embryos which we call “the twins”. This was unsuccessful and crushing. We prevailed and jumped into our next treatment the next cycle. During this frozen 5 day transfer we asked to do assisted hatching to which he agreed. This resulted in our miracle son.
I don’t recall 100% but know we ended up spending 16k. They process was clearly lined out during our finance walk through which made preparing for this much easier.
He was open to whatever we wanted to do. Advised 1 but ended up transferring 2.
Cincinnati

I felt comfortable with all aspects of the clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health]. As a patient of a previous fertility clinic, this one is clean, modern, and very welcoming, as opposed to the first clinic my husband and I visited. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable...I had a couple of nurses and they were all fantastic! My primary nurse coordinator was Sarah, and she was incredible! She was so sweet and patient with me during my egg retrieval (which resulted in a funny story), and she cried with me when I got my period (TWICE!), and subsequent negative pregnancy tests.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I felt comfortable with all aspects of the clinic. As a patient of a previous fertility clinic, this one is clean, modern, and very welcoming, as opposed to the first clinic my husband and I visited. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable.
Dr. A. was always so kind and answered any and all questions I had. He seemed to genuinely care about my case and was always compassionate when we didn’t get the news we hoped for.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
I loved Dr. Awadalla. From the very first consultation, I could tell that he loved his job and wanted to help couples get pregnant and have a baby. After both negative pregnancy tests, he personally called me and was encouraging and shared what he would like next steps to be. When we are able to afford another treatment, we will definitely be seeing Dr. A. again!
He hits the ground running. On your first consultation, be prepared with questions because he is ready to get your treatment started!
I used two injectable medicines as my follicle stimulations as well as an injectable trigger shot during my fresh IVF cycle. During both my IVF and FET, I used progesterone suppositories. I used estrogen supplements during my FET cycle. I was also prescribed pre-natal vitamins to take for the duration of all treatments.
For our IVF cycle, we got a loan for $13,500 with $12,000 going toward the treatment and $1,500 going toward medication. We did spend more than what we were loaned, probably close to $3,000 for medication during this cycle. For our FET, we were charged $4,500 for the cycle, not including medication. We also pay a frozen embryo fee, but I am not sure what the cost is.
Dr. A. told me that since I was young, and seemed to be healthy, with 4 embryos, we should do single transfers for my fresh IVF transfer and my FET. He explained during our last conversation that he would like to transfer the remaining two frozen embryos for my next treatment since the first two treatments were unsuccessful.

Anovulation, Other
Jackie (and the other IRH nurses) are so caring patient, and thorough (unlike the other local clinic I had been at prior to IRH). They squeezed me in on the very last day possible to start an IVF cycle (before the lab did their yearly temporary close) when I called them crying and desperate (bc my original clinic started me on IVF meds and then told me they were full and I had to wait another 3 months!)
Anovulation, Other
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The Rookwood office is absolutely beautiful and looks more like a spa than a doctors office. They have multiple financial advisors on site. He other locations are smaller but still very organized, clean, and modern looking.
He spent plenty of time chatting w me during consultation, answering all of my questions and even giving me advice on tough decisions I had to make
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
He was very patient and explained things thoroughly at consultation and retrieval day. He was thorough and empathetic. He gave me advice when I had some tough decisions to make. He was also patient and thorough at our visits post-embryo transfer, and gave us a great personal recommendation for our OB too.
Write down the questions you want answered before consultation
I have the hormone profile of someone w hypothalamic amenorrhea but ovaries that appear like PCOS. I don’t have periods nor ovulate. So we did OCPs, gonal F and menopur (which I bought from overseas to save money and he allowed), Ovidrel, and PIO (which I prefer to suppositories so he allowed it). I believe gonal f is good when you have low FSH (to improve number of eggs retrieved) and menopur is good when you have low LH (to improve egg quality) - if I remember correctly - this may be reversed if I’m not remembering right. But since mine were both low, we used both! Gonal F was cheaper shipped on ice from Israel and the menopur was a cheaper generic version from the UK. Both obviously worked fine bc we have a live Singleton and one frozen we have yet to try: Ten eggs retrieved, 5 embryos, one was day 5 blastocyst 4aa and the frozen one is a day 6 blastocyst 4bb. I felt Dr. Burwinkle allowed me to give input on how I wanted to do my stims/cycle (I had a lot of opinions due to transferring from another local clinic that I had been very unhappy with).
We paid $20,000 cash for the “money back” program which allows I think up to six (??) fresh/frozen cycles with a two year (??) period. I forget the exact details but we decided to do that knowing that if it failed or I miscarried we could try again without paying more. The other option was lying $8500 (ish?) cash for one frozen cycle. My insurance really was no help so we went the cash route. It worked the first time so we call her our $20,000 baby! But it was worth it.
I would’ve like to transfer two embryos, but I only had one day 5 blastocyst. The other two needed another day to (try) to get to blastocyst stage - so I really didn’t have that option. They do feel strongly about “one healthy baby” at a time, but I believe would allow two embryos transferred if patient prefers

IUI, 1 IVF
The care at IRH is set up to be treated like a number. There was no personal care and i'm not even sure they knew my name. I had to repeat my issues, why we were there and our current status multiple times...We were not informed of the options before our procedures, specifically ICSI and transfer strategy for optimal results. When asking questions it was hard to get consistent answers across nurses.
IUI, 1 IVF
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic definitely has strength in numbers based on the number of patients they have, however you are treated like that, a number. I believe their intention is great but not having any email access and only voicemail makes for a challenging communication exchange throughout the day. Not being able to contact them in any other way but voicemail is next to impossible in my line of work. We couldn't get our questions answered in a timely fashion based on this.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I am sure Dr. Burwinkel is a find physician but I wouldn't know too much since I saw him only twice during my care. I did not feel as though he was treating me but rather the entire staff at IRH. Had we had a consistent set of information and communication we would have made different choices. I feel I wasted time and money going there.
Know what you need and expect in your fertility treatment before you go.
The costs were pretty straight forward. They provided a pricing sheet up front for all of the procedures but there was no coordination with my insurance company beyond the pre authorization paperwork. I had to contact the insurance company in order to determine what would be covered. I was never able to get a straight answer from either party. It was unclear to me how much I would owe. In total with my company's coverage ($5,000) and I paid $6K out of pocket for a round of IVF and single transfer. We had no embryos left to freeze and did not do ICSI.
It would have been nice to discuss this strategy and options before the transfer. We had no idea we would be faced with the choices while i was in the transfer procedure. These important details of how many and odds should be discussed in advance.
Cincinnati

The nurses [at Institute for Reproductive Health] were always nice and caring. They didn’t however provide a lot of detailed information...The clinic is large with multiple providers which can be good or bad. They always have someone to take care of you, it just may not be someone who is super familiar with you in particular. It is easy to get an appointment and their multiple locations are helpful. For the most part they are compassionate but I did have one provider who somewhat scolded me that I needed to make IVF a “priortiy.” This was after I had gone through several less invasive procedures and a previous egg retrieval and transfer over the course of a year and a half. I was also continuing to work full time and drive 90 minutes one way just to get to my appointment. I think I was making it a priority and was kind of offended by how that was mentioned to me.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I really enjoyed Dr. Burwinkel’s bedside manner however, a couple times I felt like he wasn’t 100% informed on who I was in particular. I had to have surgery and saw him for a post-op appointment which was fine. I then started back on treatment which was a timed intercourse cycle and when I came in for an ultrasound to check for follicles, he just looked at my uterus with the ultrasound and didn’t measure any follicles. He made it seem like he thought this was a post-op follow up and didn’t really provide the correct information for me for my trigger timing. I started to lose confidence after that visit but continued with him for multiple other cycles, eventually leading me to IVF.
The nurses were always nice and caring. They didn’t however provide a lot of detailed information.
Dr. Burwinkel has 2 partners that cover him when he is off which is really nice. However, after my first IVF cycle did not result in pregnancy and few eggs/embryos with nothing to freeze, the protocol was not really changed. I don’t know if this was because his partner was covering but I never understood why a similar protocol would have different results. When I had even fewer eggs retrieved and only 1 embryo, I started to wonder if something else was wrong with me as I knew I had a high AMH and should have a lot of eggs. That transfer did result in pregnancy but ended in a second trimester miscarriage due to Down’s syndrome. When I saw Dr. Burwinkel following my miscarriage, he was very compassionate but was unable to come up with a plan for me to get more, better quality embryos in a future cycle. I think I lost all confidence at that time.
Provide details and keep patients informed.
My first IVF cycle was done with Follistim which was initially started at a moderate dose. When my estrogen jumped up, the dose was greatly reduced which later caused my estrogen to drop and I was offered to the chance to cancel the cycle. Since I had insurance coverage, I decided to proceed. I had 5 eggs retrieved. On day 1, none had fertilized so we did rescue ICSI that resulted in 2 embryos which were both transferred on day 3. This resulted in no pregnancy. For my second cycle, the Follistim was pretty much the same. I did take letrozole in the beginning with this cycle. Again my estrogen quickly increased so my Follistim was decreased and again my estrogen dropped and resulted in fewer eggs. I did have one 3 day embryo with ICSI which resulted in pregnancy, but later a miscarriage.
I had insurance coverage so I can only guess for the cab pay price. I believe IVF with ICSI and hatching is around $12,000 a cycle. A transfer is about $1000.

PCOS, Unexplained
IRH is a fantastic clinic all around. The staff are people too, so even though service is provided every day, you may not have the same staff each visit. This didn't bother us at all since they work seamlessly together and we had regular check-in visits with our primary doctor (Dr. Scheiber) there...All of the nurses we encountered during our treatment were professional and caring...we found the costs to be competitive (for the U.S.)
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr. Scheiber always treated us like people. He was patient to explain our case and options with us.
We were thoroughly impressed with Dr. Scheiber and the entire team at IRH. He was very personable and extremely professional. We ended up relocating to a different state without getting pregnant, but even after we left, he and his staff were helpful in providing necessary records and recommendations to resume treatment elsewhere. We'd highly recommend Scheiber!
The team at IRH work seamlessly to provide care every day of the week. For the in-office treatments and some investigative procedures, you will probably be seen by other doctors. They're all very good at IRH.
We started on a low-dose pill I took during 5 days of my menstrual cycle. I didn't respond as much as hoped (in terms of follicle growth), so the dosage was increased 50% for the remaining 4 cycles. We tried IUIs 4 times. Had we not relocated to another state, we would have skipped the intermediary option and gone straight to IVF. This was recommended because of my age (and weight).
Our medical insurance coverage was quite good. I don't remember exact costs, but we found the costs to be competitive (for the U.S.)

2014 - 2017
Everyone at IRH is amazing and kind. I never came across any rude people in all my many visits to the office. I remember being told good luck by other nurses who I had before, just not that day. I believe they all genuinely care for all their patients and they all want to help you have a baby.... The only weakness is their new phone system. I’m not a huge fan of automated. But I know it helps them help more people. I would just like to talk to a real person.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
IRH strengths: -The Drs/nurses work well together. They all enjoy being there. That makes their patients more comfortable about being there. -they’re knowledgeable about their field. They’re very confident on their treatment plans. -the wait times aren’t usually long. I don’t think I’ve waited longer than 10 minutes in the room. - they have 3 offices for patients convenience. The only weakness is their new phone system. I’m not a huge fan of automated. But I know it helps them help more people. I would just like to talk to a real person.
Dr. Schieber always greeted me with a smile, and was always positive about the treatments I was doing. He answered mine and my husband’s questions. He was always approachable.
I wish I was better at names. Everyone at IRH is amazing and kind. I never came across any rude people in all my many visits to the office. I remember being told good luck by other nurses who I had before, just not that day. I believe they all genuinely care for all their patients and they all want to help you have a baby.
Dr. Scheiber was very quick to diagnose me with PCOS. A quick ultrasound confirmed his diagnosis. I had to have a surgery before we started treatments to clear tissue out of my uterus. We started with femara. That wasn’t working well so I was given injectables. We did 5 or 6 iui’s all with femara and injectables without success. Dr. Scheiber was positive during the whole process but also realistic. He saw that iui’s weren’t working and suggested a meeting to discuss new ideas. Which was IVF. We were lucky to have some insurance coverage so we were able to start right away. We did education day the middle of January and injections started the second week of February. I had my first retrieval 2/24. Transfer was 2/27. We transferred two 3 day embryos. They didn’t stick. Second retrieval was 4/14. Transfer was 4/19. We transferred two 5 day embryos. They also didn’t stick. That was a very low point for me. If it wasn’t for Dr. Scheiber I would have quit right there. He convinced me to try a frozen transfer with our remaining 2 embryos. Our last chance. Dr. Scheiber was super upbeat and during the transfer on 5/25 he was like this is it! This time is going to work! On June 8 2016 I received the best phone call ever. I was pregnant! We had our first 2 ultrasounds at IRH then we graduated to my OB/GYN. On February 10,2017 I had a healthy baby boy!!
You’ve made the right choice choosing IRH and Dr. Scheiber. He’s kind but will tell you the truth. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
I was going like every other day or every 2 days for like two weeks during the cycle. I was usually able to schedule appointments when it was convenient for me. But obviously some days don’t work as well as others.
We were lucky and had insurance coverage. The drugs were expensive. I think for the Iui and ivf cycles we paid close to $10,000 on drugs and $10,000 for the cycles. Our costs would have doubled or tripled had we not had coverage.
We chose to transfer two embryos. We thought it would give us a better shot at atleast one sticking. The office suggests one, but won’t do any more than two.

2 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] was very clean and organized and there was a private place for us to discuss our cycle and plan with the nurse and with the doctor. The check in and check out was always fairly smooth. Getting financial information for bills and services paid was difficult at times and there was some confusion about what had been paid for and what was still owed, but they were able to make some calls to get it figured out.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was very clean and organized and there was a private place for us to discuss our cycle and plan with the nurse and with the doctor. The check in and check out was always fairly smooth. Getting financial information for bills and services paid was difficult at times and there was some confusion about what had been paid for and what was still owed, but they were able to make some calls to get it figured out.
Early in the treatment process we were treated very well by all the staff and the doctor. We were given high expectation throughout the process and everyone was very positive and reassuring. After the retrieval and fertilization results came in we were told we’d be a freeze all cycle due to hyper stimulation but then received multiple calls the following days saying we were a fresh transfer, when in fact we were not able to go that route. It was rather upsetting. After our last frozen embryo transfer we were notified of the negative hcg via phone by one of the nurses and had expected we would hear from the doctor as we used our last 2 embryos. When we didn’t hear from him after a few days of getting the results, we called the office a few times to speak with him because we were never given the opportunity to discuss what happened or what the next steps are or what our options were or what could possibly be done differently if we chose to continue with another retrieval. We felt like we were just unsuccessful and dropped from the radar with no guidance or explanation as to where to go from there. Overall the people seemed to care throughout the process but after we felt like we were left in a cold and limbo like state.
The nurse I seen in the office and the one who reviewed the plan and medications were absolutely amazing. The one making the call didn’t seem to care and I was just a number she was reporting information to in order to cross me off the to do list. There were also multiple times I was contacted by the same nurse who gave me false (and very upsetting) information, she didn’t seem to know my case or what was going on.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
He reviewed all of my medical records and discussed options in detail with us during our initial consultation. He made of feel very comfortable, hopeful, and informed. During each visit we got additional information to help guide us with medications and what to expect. When we were unsuccessful after our last frozen transfer we were never contacted by him to discuss the cycles or any future plans of continuing treatment. We contacted his office and were given a time he would call back for us to ask questions. I don’t feel like we really got any answers as to why the cycles failed or what the next course of action would be or what could be done differently if we decided to do an additional retrieval and transfer.
Ask a lot of questions and be well informed every step of the way.
Cycle day 3 started birth control pills and a profilactic antibiotic, last bcp was day 22, had an ultrasound for follicles on day 23, cycle day 2 started using follistim 200 IU SQ at a given time daily for 4 days and then had a repeat follicle scan on day 6 with lab draw and continued on follistim 200 IU SQ, day 7 I took the follistim 200 IU SQ and Ganirelix SQ, day 8 follistim 200 IU SQ and ganirelix SQ, cycle day 9 had follicle scan and labs and changed follistim dose to 125 IU SQ with the ganirelix SQ, cycle day 10 follistim 100 IU SQ and ganirelix SQ, day 11 follicle scan and labs and took follistim 100 IU SQ and ganirelix SQ, cycle day 25 follistim 25 IU SQ and ganirelix SQ, day 13 Lipton trigger shot and started destinex tablets, day 14 dostinex tablet, day 15 egg retrieval (15 eggs retreived). Day 16 six eggs fertilized and told we would be a freeze all cycle due to ovarian hyper stimulation, day 18 above average growth and development on 4 of the eggs and regular on 2. Next cycle started - day 2 three embryos made it to blast stage and were frozen and need to postpone frozen transfer to next cycle. Started birth control pills for a few weeks and then started cycle day 1, started taking estradiol 3 times daily, day 13 had ultrasound and labs, day 18 started prometrium 3 times a day, day 23 frozen embryo transfer, negative hcg 11 days later, after the next cycle started and completed we did the 2nd frozen transer with our last 2 embryos which were grade A, 14 days later we had a negative hcg.
$8500 to begin the process (MD visit, ultrasounds, labs, retrieval and one fresh transfer, nurse education day) they wouldn’t let us do the fresh transfer so we did frozen which cost an additional $5000 (counting the second frozen transfer), medications and travel expenses roughly $3500 - totaling around $17000
I feel like at least 2 embryo transfer is the best route when you are doing IVF.
Cincinnati

I absolutely LOVE the nursing staff [at the Institute for Reproductive Health]. They are ALL caring and compassionate and go out of their way to help us. I could not imagine going through this journey without them!... The only weakness is when you call the office, you always have to leave a voicemail. However, the nurses/staff are quick to respond.... For IVF, we did the money back guarantee program with ICSI and that was around 22k (or 70% back if no live birth).
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I always felt like a human and not just a number. Dr. B did what was right for me and my situation and always gave me the honest information.
I absolutely LOVE the nursing staff. They are ALL caring and compassionate and go out of their way to help us. I could not imagine going through this journey without them!
Dr. Burwinkel is such an amazing doctor. He has gone above and beyond to help get my pregnant, and always listens to me. I had a miscarriage after an IUI in the summer of 2016. During my D&C, right before I was put under, I started crying. Dr. B. came to my side and held my hand as I was put to sleep for the procedure. I will never, ever forget the compassion he showed during that difficult time. Dr. B is always honest with me and does what is right for me and my situation. I could not ever imagine seeing another doctor or going ot another practice.
Be open and honest with Dr. B about your thoughts on your protocol. He WILL listen! Advocate for yourself, too.
IUIs 1-4: 5mg Femara and Ovidrel IUI 1 resulted in miscarriage with a D&C at 9 weeks. IUIs 2-4 were negative. IVF 1: 175 Follistim, then increased to 225. Ganirelix and Ovidrel--rationale, I have PCOS and did not want my to hyper stimulate. Prometrium after retrieval and through transfer. 2 Blasts, 1 transferred and did not result in pregnancy. FET 1: Estrace 2mg a day, then PIO. Frozen embryo transferred and did not result in pregnancy. IVF 2: 150 Follistim and 75 Menopur. The last twp days of stims, we upped the Follistim to 225. Ganirelix and Ovidrel. Added in medrol and baby asprin after the retrieval. Added PIO after retrieval. 7 total blasts. 2 transferred. Currently pregnant and waiting for my first ultrasound to determine if it's a singleton or twin pregnancy.
We used insurance for the IUIs, so the cost to us was around $100 per IUI. For IVF, we did the money back guarantee program with ICSI and that was around 22k (or 70% back if no live birth).
With my first IVF cycle, we did one embryo. Same with the FET because we only had 1 embryo left. After those two cycles failed, Dr. B decided to transfer two embryos moving forward. I trusted his judgement with the single and multiple embryo transfers.

2014 - 2017
All the IRH nurses are wonderful, but every time Heather was working when I was there she requested to work with me. We really connected at the West Chester office and she remembered me each time I was in. She has such a positive energy and exudes the hope all staff at a place like this should. She was a huge cheerleader for us through the whole process and when we got our positive. She was in the room when we found out we lost our baby and cried right along with us. I will never forget her or her compassion.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Weaknesses: the phone system is a bit confusing, even for seasoned patients. Also really have to pay attention to your bill for errors. Strengths: multiple locations around the city. Drs belong to The Christ Hospital which is the best in Cinci in my opinion. They offer an online and inperson support group which has been so wonderful.
Dr. Scheiber always takes time to explain everything and makes sure I understand. He answers my questions thoroughly and honestly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
Dr. Scheiber is very much to the point but makes sure I understand what's happening. He listens and responds to my questions no matter how long it takes. He was very straightforward about our chances of conceiving without giving false hope or seeming overly negative. What really makes me feel great about seeing him is the way he treated me when I miscarried. He had to deliver the news to us and even though he sees this all the time was visibly upset, which made me feel he truly cares. He then came in several hours early on his surgery day to fit me in so I wouldn't have to wait several days for a d&c. We are about to do our first frozen embryo transfer with him this month. We were having trouble getting the money together so shopped around for a cheaper clinic. We found one and I called IRH to see if he would match their price. He did far better than match it to keep me there and to not risk transporting our precious embryos elsewhere. Because of that we're able to do the transfer now rather than 6 months to a year from now. I feel like every bit of my treatment protocol has been spot on and I trust him implicitly. I know we're in excellent hands and feel 100% confident we'll have our miracle baby soon!
Ask questions! Even if you think of them later. He gives minimum detail unless you ask.
3 IUIs: only medication used was Ovidrel since we have male factor infertility. All 3 resulted in negative tests. IVF: can't recall the protocol but started birth control to suppress my cycle so it could be easily fracked and timed. Went off that and began stim injections to produce a number of eggs. Was closely monitored via ultrasound to check progress and retrieval was set based on follicle size. We had 12 follicles, 9 eggs retrieved, 6 5-day old blastocysts. We transferred 1 embryo which resulted in pregnancy but ended at 10 weeks due to chromosomal abnormality. Dr. Scheiber did not recommend pre genetic screening for the embryos because I do not have infertility and have high quality eggs. FET#1: prescribed Estrace beginning cycle day 1. Will be monitored for ovulation via ultrasound. Once I've ovulated the transfer will be scheduled for 5 days later. Upon transfer I'll begin progesterone therapy until at least the beta test 8-10 days later, longer if the test is positive.
IUI: about $1k/cycle IVF: $10k plus around $4k for medication FET: $4500 plus about $350 for medication
Dr. Scheiber is a huge proponent for eSET unless there is a strong medical reason to transfer more than one. His logic is technology has advanced to a point it's no longer necessary to transfer multiple to be successful and since a multiples pregnancy is riskier than a singleton he avoids recommending it if possible. At the end of the day though it's the patients decision, but he will make sure you have all the facts to make an informed choice.
West Chester

The nursing staff [at IRH-Cincinnati] always responded quickly when I called the office. I had a terrible time with my insurance and the specialty pharmacy it used to get my injections and the nursing staff handled it very well (even though I probably drove them nuts calling so much). I had to come in on several saturdays for IUIs and the staff was always friendly and welcoming. They never made me feel like an inconvenience.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was wonderfully decorated with big windows in the waiting room. The lab was right down the hall so we didn’t have to travel far to pick up our specimens. Almost every time I was there I was taken back early and never had to wait past my appointment.
Dr Awadalla was excellent. Our first first visit we were emotionally drained and frustrated. Dr Awadalla did an ultrasound and reviewed the tests from my OB and then took an hour to explain what was causing our infertility, answered our questions, and formed a plan to help get us pregnant. He was easy to talk to and really made us feel at ease and hopeful. Every time I went in for an IUI it was like he knew exactly how I was feeling and knew what to say to make us confident to continue treatments. He even called me on my cell phone once to help me to decide my next step in treatment. He is excellent!
The nursing staff always responded quickly when I called the office. I had a terrible time with my insurance and the specialty pharmacy it used to get my injections and the nursing staff handled it very well (even though I probably drove them nuts calling so much). I had to come in on several saturdays for IUIs and the staff was always friendly and welcoming. They never made me feel like an inconvenience.
Dr Awadalla was compassionate, easy to talk to, thorough in his explanations, so easy going he made us feel like there was no doubt we would get pregnant, and very knowledgeable. Every time we came in after a failed attempt we would review the statistics of the treatments, form a plan for the next cycle and he would hand write the exact dosages of medications I needed to take and when. He would also draw little cartoons/symbols indicating us getting pregnant at the end. He really helped keep our stress levels down while giving us all the facts we needed which is not an easy task. Even though I didn’t see him every visit I saw him most of the time. The other doctors and NP were also very good so I never felt uncomfortable having them do a treatment for me.
You are in the best place for getting pregnant. It’s an emotionally difficult journey (sometimes physically difficult), so going in make sure you ask questions. Dr Awadalla is very approachable and smart so knowing all the facts will help put you at ease a bit.
We tried a new treatment every three months until I got pregnant. It was explained to me that after three rounds of a treatment not working statistically my chances of getting pregnant with that treatment dramatically decreased. I started taking metformin daily to help counteract some of my hormones with PCOS. So first I did oral medication and IUI for three rounds, then Injections and orals for three months and got pregnant on the third round. We started with oral medication and IUI first because I had tried oral medication and timed intercourse for three months with no result with my OB. I also switched from clomid to femara with Dr Awadalla because I did not ovulate with my third round of clomid. Every time we did a cycle before I took my ovulation injection Dr Awadalla did an ultrasound to verify how many healthy eggs I had so I didn’t have too many or too little. That also helped him adjust my medication doses as needed. So after 6 IUIs 3 with orals and three with injections I got pregnant and now have twin boys:)
My insurance and my husbands insurance covered most of the cost.
We never had to do IVF.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Very nice facility [Institute for Reproductive Health]. Clean and comfortable. I always got a call back when calling with questions from for the staff. The clinic seems to be organized, overall and it was not overcrowded. I never had to wait too long. They also helped me to find my medications at the best possible price at that time...The nursing staff was overall very caring and more willing to spend time answering questions I had.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Very nice facility. Clean and comfortable. I always got a call back when calling with questions from for the staff. The clinic seems to be organized, overall and it was not overcrowded. I never had to wait too long. They also helped me to find my medications at the best possible price at that time.
When consulting with Dr. S via phone after my failed IVF cycle, I felt like he was not even looking at my chart. He mentioned uterine fibroids, when previously he mentioned my uterus looking perfect. I didn’t feel I was getting the individual treatment I was wanting at this moment when discussing this huge disappointment in my life.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Scheiber performed a laparoscopy on me and I was under his care for IUIs and IVF. He was very comforting at the time of surgery. He does explain things in a way that it is easy to understand. I did not like the fact that I barely saw him after my surgery. The majority of treatment was performed by his counter parts. I was surprised when I went in for my egg retrieval that he was not even there for that. I thought for sure I would see him then, and I was disappointed that no one informed me he would not be doing the procedure. I did not see him one time during my IVF cycle, and it was pretty much the same for the IUIs I had the year before. When consulting with him after the egg retrieval (failed cycle), I felt as though he offered generic advice and did not have my chart to look at. He offered no change in protocol when I asked about future treatment, which was discouraging.
Don’t expect to see him much.
I do not remember specifically the protocols that were used specifically for me. I used injectables for three IUI attempts (one was cancelled due to large follicle being on the side where I did not have a tube) and an IVF cycle. I will say that the protocol that was used and rationale behind it was not explained to me. Maybe I should’ve asked more questions, but I just followed directions. There was no explaining of ‘why’ they were doing things this particular way.
I do not remember specifically.
No comment

Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strength: efficiency, high reported success rates Weaknesses: human compassion, personalization of treatment, making you feel like they have time for you Do your homework before you go
Other than passed tissues across a table and a few reassuring head nods, the doctors seemed to have minimal empathy for the pain and frustration associated with this invasive, frustrating, and traumatic process. My miscarriage was described (by another doctor at the clinic) as "disappointing." I'm sure it was disappointing for them and their statistics, but for me it was one of the saddest experiences of my life. Disappointing doesn't begin to cover it. There are also so many different nurses there that until IVF, I was just another patient. Once a nurse called me back and asked if my partner and I were having sex to increase our chances of IUI success. I'm a lesbian, so this wouldn't have helped. The nurse simply didn't think to open our chart before calling us...the first page would have told her that we're two women. The number of LGBT related microaggressions we experience is through the roof. We cross out mislabeled forms and correct their language on a regular basis. They also failed to manage my thyroid condition appropriately or advise me to seek treatment from an endocrinologist who could. This clinic has the best success rates in the area and switching at this point would cost us an additional thousand dollars at least, but I wish I had other options.
This is so mixed. There might be 50 nurses working there. The IVF nurses are mostly good (though the other day one contradicted the doctor so that was frustrating), and they are more professional and compassionate than the other staff. Other nurses have been rude, homophobic, incompetent, or unprofessional. One seriously offended me and then had the dr. apologize on her behalf instead of doing it on her own like an adult.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I answered this on an earlier question. On one foot, this experience has been very frustrating and sad in its own right but also additionally so because of issues at the fertility clinic. Dr. Scheiber himself has been the best out of the three doctors we've seen but is still only so so, and I wish it felt more like he cared about me as a person rather than a case.
Make sure you do your homework and ask lots of questions along the way. There are times when my treatment course was adjusted or explanations were corrected because of information I supplied as opposed to information that they offered.
5 natural iui at my request. 1 iui with femara (bad reaction). IVF #1 fresh transfer, 225 follistim, ganirelix, ovidrel. Eset. Pregnancy...missed miscarriage at 9 weeks. D&C. IVF #2 in progress, 225 follistim, 75 menopur, ganirelix, ovidrel. PGS (to reduce chance of additional miscarriage...at my request)
IVF with ICSI 9,600. IUI total about $1000 (x7).
I'm young (27) so he prefers eSET, and I had "success" with it once and we will probably do this again this cycle.
Cincinnati

I didn't like that you can never talk to a live person [at Institute for Reproductive Health] but they are very prompt about returning calls. I never had a bad experience with a nurse on the phone or in person...Strengths- Multiple locations, flexible hours, reasonable cost, good success and quality doctors and staff. All three doctors are great. Weaknesses- I didn't like when I was given an appointment to see the nurse practitioner (or felt like I was forced to see her) when I was told I was seeing one of the doctors. She, in my opinion, is very rough during examinations.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr. Scheiber and his staff have always been very warm and compassionate. When I had a chemical pregnancy he called me after I had had several conversations with the nursing staff. He had very kind words for me and gave me some peace in a very emotional situation.
I didn't like that you can never talk to a live person but they are very prompt about returning calls. I never had a bad experience with a nurse on the phone or in person.
He was extremely caring and always asked about our daughter when we saw him. He had a great sense of humor during the whole process (which was appreciated!) while being frank with us about the challenges we would face trying to conceive at our ages.
Trust him. He will be frank with you.
For my first pregnancy it took several rounds of Clomid before I ovulated. When I did finally ovulate I took Ovidril and he gave us the option to do IUI or not. We elected to do IUI (because we didn't know how long it would take before I would ovulate again) and I got pregnant. The second time around was not so easy. I had three IUIs (with Clomid and Ovidril) and had a negative result, a chemical pregnancy, a month off and a negative result before taking another month off to mentally regroup. After that month to regroup (and stop stressing about it!) I got pregnant on our fourth IUI (still with Clomid and Ovidril).
I think it was $475 for my first IUI in 2015 and $500 per IUI in 2016/2017.

Male Factor, Other
You must leave a message and wait for a call back [at Institute for Reproductive Health]. Inconvenient for me working In healthcare field as well. Billing/financial is helpful but not as helpful as I wish they would be when it comes to insurance benefit and helping me figure out what is best. Nursing staff is helpful. Catering to me when I need to lay down for bloodwork. Drs schedules are hard to work with if you only want to see one doctor! Need to be flexible but everyone has been great!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
You cannot speak to someone directly. You must leave a message and wait for a call back. Inconvenient for me working In healthcare field as well. Billing/financial is helpful but not as helpful as I wish they would be when it comes to insurance benefit and helping me figure out what is best. Nursing staff is helpful. Catering to me when I need to lay down for bloodwork. Drs schedules are hard to work with if you only want to see one doctor! Need to be flexible but everyone has been great!
Dr. Scheiber was always very welcoming, accepting, and comforting. He spoke to both myself and my husband frequently in the office. He cared & answered all of my questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Jacquie )
Nursing staff is great! They're helpful, but hard to get ahold of. We have to leave a message every time we have a question. We request they return a call between certain times and they do their best with that. A trend we have seen is they tend to return calls around 3:45-4:00 pm which is inconvenient because they don't return calls after 4. So if you miss the call between 3:45-4:00 you have to wait until the next day.
We enjoy seeing Dr Scheiber. He cares for us and answers our questions. We have been with him from October 2016-current. We had done a lot of leg work in the beginning of treatment so he was ready to get started with us as soon as we arrived. We had all of our info in place and were just as eager to get started with treatment! We wish we were able to see him each time we went but there are 3 locations and 3 doctors. We have had to be flexible.
You will not see Dr Scheiber at every appointment. All of the doctors in the practice have different bedside manners and some are way different than others! I was shocked! He is a very smart man, & I believe has the best interest in all of his patients.
IUI with Femara days 3-7, once IUI was complete we had intercourse that evening and the next day - negative Another semen analysis was completed and nothing had changed since husband changed diet and started Clomid. IVF - BCP, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirilex, & HCG trigger - egg retrieval while under conscious sedation. ICSI performed, 5 day transfer of one blastocyst rated perfect. Started endometrin -negative test at 10dp5dt. Beginning 1st FET - Estradiol & baby aspirin day 1-day20. Day 14 ultrasound and will start endometrin at that time. Day 20 thaw and transfer of hopefully two blasts.
IUI - $350ish IVF w/ ICSI - $20,000 billed to insurance. Roughly $11,000 if self pay. Meds were ordered through online pharmacy at $3,000 FET - $8,000 billed to insurance, $4500 if Self pay
Drs only wanted to transfer 1 embryo first cycle. We were disappointed as we wanted to transfer two. We were told it would only increase chances by 2%. We "had great odds with my age & the rating of our embryo". Resulted in negative pregnancy test. We are pushing for 2 embryos transferred this time. We had a lot of pushback transferring two the first round and was talked down upon when we asked about transferring two from another dr within the practice.

1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I am a nurse, but being a patient is totally different. The nurses there [at Institute for Reproductive Health] are sweet and always considerate of your feelings. They know what to say when your feeling nervous and overwhelmed. Very comforting... I really can't speak about any weaknesses, other than maybe billing. They submitted some things to my insurance and I'm a self pay patient, my insurance covers nothing for infertility.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I really can't speak about any weaknesses, other than maybe billing. They submitted some things to my insurance and I'm a self pay patient, my insurance covers nothing for infertility. They have GREAT success with IVF so that's why I chose to go there!
He has a wonderful bedside manner, he also really cares about his patients and even when things don't go the way I wanted he called me to answer my questions and to genuinely check on me.
I am a nurse, but being a patient is totally different. The nurses there are sweet and always considerate of your feelings. They know what to say when your feeling nervous and overwhelmed. Very comforting
Again he was really compassionate and he also was very truthful from the start and took his time with us and answered all of our questions. He's awesome! He was the doctor that I saw every visit during my first IVF round, only one time during that 1st round I had to see one of his partners (it was a holiday weekend), but he told me that I was going to have to see one of his partners, so I was prepared and I was ok with that.
Come prepared to answer some questions from him and know that he is ok with you having a voice in your treatment!
I was on birth control for 22 days, started a period and the started follistim, then added menopure, and ganarellix. Then eventually a Hcg shot and progesterone vaginal suppositories. I can't exactly remember how many days of the follistim, I think it was 12, I remember I had to increase 1 time and then had to order more of it and the menopure. My egg retrevial was intense, I was hyperstimed and he retrieved 21 eggs and I was put on some medication to help with my HSS. Out of the 21 eggs we had 5, 5 day embryos. We transferred 1 and froze the other 4. BFN on day 14, post transfer, I also started my period that day. I'm currently waiting to test, I will on Thursday, we used 2 frozen embryos on Friday March 24th. I don't think I am pregnant though.
IRH has the best price for IVF in the area.
I told him whatever he thought was best I trust him and that's why I travel over an hour to see him.
2014 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
New patient is a bit of a wait and you need to be aggressive and direct about what you want....I think the only weakness could be they [Inst for Repro Health] are so busy at this clinic the office phone is always a call back but other than that they do call back...The clinic is great at what they do if your specific provider isn't available the other two will see you as well and are just as good....They will call you back to get an appt by the end of the day that you call....
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
He gave me a grant to do another frozen transfer with our last two embryos we have. But we and he feels the fresh cycle is going to give us the best result. We cannot afford another Ivf fresh cycle at this time though.
They are all great as well. I think the only weakness could be they are so busy at this clinic the office phone is always a call back but other than that they do call back
The clinic is great at what they do if your specific provider isn't available the other two will see you as well and are just as good. Dr. Schieber saw me as well and did the transfer for two cycles I had. I love all the providers there. Dr. Awadalla has a great bedside manner and is very compassionate to my situation that is why I prefer him. But I do see other providers there as well. He is very detailed and is not pushy. I wouldn't choose another clinic to do Ivf.
Be direct with what care you want and they will do their best to make it happen.
I did 4 iuis before going to Ivf. I did 2 previous iui I believe with another provider and clinic. We did the fresh cycle Ivf and it went very smoothly. I took femara. I did menapur injections along with Follistim. It was 2 years ago so I don't remember my exact doses but my charts would have all this information. I think I was going to have to icsi but then the egg and sperm were good so I didn't have to. We retrieved 7 eggs 5 of which were all day 5 embryos. One was transferred and resulted in my son. And 4 were frozen. We used 2 this past year and they did not take. I only have tubal blockage and endometriosis which makes me a good candidate for fresh cycle Ivf. The frozen I am not sure about how well since the last one didn't take. We cannot afford to use the last two yet. But would really like to do another fresh since this is more promising outcome
They will call you back to get an appt by the end of the day that you call. So prompted based on what they are dealing with
So far we have spent near 19,000
They do what is best based on history they will not transfer anymore than 2 at a time though
Cincinnati
I've always been pretty happy with the nurses there [Inst for Repro Health]. Usually if I call before for Mike the message says I get a call back. There have been a few times where I haven't gotten a call before four and it definitely is frustrating but they usually apologize and we go on with life...The main thing that I've only really been upset with them about is not calling in prescriptions and then have been once or twice but it all worked out
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
This is the second fertility doctor I've seen and they are by far the best that I've been to. A lot of family also has been patient of theirs and they've all been satisfied. It does give little overwhelming because people are going in and out and sometimes it feels a bit not like a doctors office because people are spending so much money. But once you become a patient and have to deal with your actual doctor you do get treated like they really do want what's best for you.
He's honest and seems to want the same outcome we want
I've always been pretty happy with the nurses there. Usually if I call before for Mike the message says I get a call back. There have been a few times where I haven't gotten a call before four and it definitely is frustrating but they usually apologize and we go on with life
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
He's hands on, takes the time to explain and waits for all my questions. At first I felt like just another patient but after our first loss he seemed more compassionate. Sometimes when I call the clinic he's the one that will call me back instead of the nurses and I appreciate that.
Don't be embarked to ask anything and everything.
If I remember correctly we don't really have any issues but Dr. Scheiber put his on our drill to increase our our number of follicles. He said it would probably take a few tries to work, but likely we got pregnant with the first two are you I cycles. And we even got pregnant with our fourth cycle. We had a third loss and that was the hardest and it was a situation that Dr. Scheiber had never dealt with as well. We all decided that a D&C would be the best option. He explained the risk.
We had fortunately insurance provider most of our coverage all we had to pay really was our $45 co-pay each cycle plus an eight dollar bill from the insurance so we're pretty blessed. These only cover are you why so anything after that we haven't done and I don't know how much they cost
Cincinnati
[Institute for Reproductive Health] Has multiple locations but the cincinnati location in rookwood is the best. The other offices are so-so. At least they were in 2016. Most of my treatments were done in rookwood, one in the florence ky office. Used Christ hospital for all of my procedures. The clinic is well organized, the sperm collection clinic is in the same hallway. Billing in the same lobby. Private...[nurses were] Friendly, warm, quick to return calls
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr. Awadalla was very warm. Understood that my husband is stand offish and that Im an information junky. Spent time, explained gently, listened to our needs.
Friendly, warm, quick to return calls
Dr. Awadalla did almost all of my iuis, did my exploratory laparoscopy, and my d&c. A few iuis were done by a practice partner if Dr. Awadalla was in surgery that day. Remember, we are working with incredibly tight windows :) Dr. Awadalla is a family man, a people person, an expert in his field, compassionate. He understands that most of his patients aren't as exposed to the ups and downs of the infertility world as he and his practice partners, so he never takes any lost pregnancy, negative test result, patient fear, etc for granted.
If it's on your heart to be a parent, trust that. Then trust the process. And even if it seems bleak, keep showing up and keep going. Speak openly, find support, ask questions. Try to live a healthy lifestyle.
1. Tested sperm 2. Gave husband Clomid 3. Husband became a jerk 4. Took husband off clomid 5. Gave me Clomid, edu fertility windows 6. Started iuis including ovulation trigger injection 7. Had tubes flushed and flouroscopy uterus 8. Started follistim injections alongside Clomid, ovulation trigger and iuis 9. Exploratory laproscopy, rule out anatomical abnormality, cyst, cancer, or endometriosis 10. Cont current regimen 9. Got pregnant, miscarried 10. D&c 11. Added progesterone 12. got pregnant. Gave birth to my wonderful daughter Dec 2016!! She is the light of my life!
I don't really remember, we spanned over a year and I switched insurances part way through. It gets very complicated. Some meds are $8, some are $500, surgery is very itemized and expensive, etc. My husband's sperm collection and cleaning was billed to his insurance, the iuis to mine, etc. They will council you through the billing dept if you get confused.
Does not apply to me

Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The nurses always called back promptly for all messages I left and knew my file/case....They [Institute for Reproductive Health] were very timely with their visits, which was so appreciated during the numerous visits requiring missing work, etc.... I rarely had to wait longer than 10 min in the lobby....The nurses were always efficient... I always recommend IRH and dr. A to others experiencing infertility...
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I never realized how efficient and timely IRH clinic was until under care at a new clinic now (closer to home). I traveled 3 hours round trip to IRH and I rarely had to wait longer than 10 min in the lobby. They were very timely with their visits, which was so appreciated during the numerous visits requiring missing work, etc. Aside from the distance from my home, I would go back to IRH in a heartbeat. I’m now trying for baby #2 and really struggled to decide whether I should use the new clinic 10 min from my home, or IRH which I trusted and had success. I always recommend IRH and dr. A to others experiencing infertility and wish I lived closer to Cincinnati.
Dr. A was very patient with us and always answered all our questions. He took my ideas, questions and suggestions into consideration rather than just ignoring me. During an unexplained infertility diagnosis, you feel like you have no control, but Dr. A did a great job of listening to us and our ideas, which made me feel like I gained back some control during our medical journey.
The nurses were always efficient, which I valued since I traveled three hours round trip to the doctor. The nurses always called back promptly for all messages I left and knew my file/case.
Dr. A made our dream of becoming parents come true. I am thankful for him everyday. Our journey with Dr. A was about a year and a half, which can is much longer than I had originally expected. However, he never lost hope in our case which helped me stay positive. He was always honest, straightforward and can be blunt, which I appreciate. When it came to our chances of conceiving, I appreciated honesty. There were many times I became frustrated with our unsuccessful results, but Dr. A was very good about setting a new plan and explaining the changes he would make from the last unsuccessful try. This was always helpful to me so I knew we weren’t just throwing money and time away while trying the same thing over and over. Dr. A was always very professional and is very experienced. He truly wants to see you conceive and does his best to make your dream successful.
Dr. A will be honest with your chance of success, so make sure you are ready to hear that. Also be sure you understand the medical plan and don’t be afraid to ask questions until you understand everything. Dr. A never rushed us and made sure we were on the same page for the plan moving forward.
Follistim with menopur on ivf #3 did the trick for me. The menopur was what really improved the quality of eggs retrieved.
I had wonderful infertility insurance, so each ivf cycle was approximately $1,000.
Dr. A always told us the quality and quantity of our embryos, gave his recommendation for quantity to transfer, but left the final decision up to us.

Endometriosis, PCOS
Knowing that they [IRH] are a large facility and it might be easy for patients to get lost in the shuffle, more emphasis should be placed on patient care...The communication is by far the worst part, there is no way to talk to anyone once you leave. You leave a voicemail and hope to get a call back. It took three days to get a returned call once and when I explained that my question was time-sensitive (like many questions are with infertility) the girl on the phone seemed very annoyed.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Knowing that they are a large facility and it might be easy for patients to get lost in the shuffle, more emphasis should be placed on patient care. Infertility is truly a nightmare and a lot of our visits were upsetting or made us extremely anxious. We didn't need our hands held but a little compassion can go a long way in times like that! The communication is by far the worst part, there is no way to talk to anyone once you leave. You leave a voicemail and hope to get a call back. It took three days to get a returned call once and when I explained that my question was time-sensitive (like many questions are with infertility) the girl on the phone seemed very annoyed.
The appointments felt rushed. He never spent more than a few minutes in the exam room with us and gave us only a small window for questions.
We met a LOT of different staff members at their offices, they are a large facility. None of them showed the compassion that we were hoping for and several were rude on the phone.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
We felt like we were on an assembly line at each visit, being passed from station to station with little compassion. The appointments were very short and not very thorough considering what we were (and still are) going through
Be ready with questions beforehand, you will not be able to reach anyone once you leave the office. Try to think of different scenarios that could happen during the exam and be prepared with your questions for each one.
We started with Femara and trigger injections. We eventually did an IUI using this method but nothing worked. He wanted to move forward with injectables but when we brought up the chances of having multiples he seemed to brush it off a little bit.
We paid out of pocket for almost everything including exams, ultrasounds and procedures. Part of my surgery for endometriosis was covered, but we still paid $4700 after the fact.
Cincinnati

The nursing staff [at Institute for Reproductive Health] were very quick to return phone calls and answer any questions we forgot to ask while in the office. They were also accommodating when I had a subchorionic hematoma and wanted to come in at 5 weeks pregnant to check on my baby. I even had a nurse take a medication home with her for me to pick up from her since I lived way too far away to get to the office before they closed. We had a very positive experience with the nurses.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
This practice has 3 different office locations in order to accommodate people from different areas. It was very nice to be able to visit the office in Northern KY for shorter appointments since we live in Louisville, KY. All offices were very clean and well kept. I have no complaints about the clinic.
Dr. Awadalla took his time with us at each appointment and we never felt rushed. He and Dr. Schieber were so understanding and patient with us. It was very much appreciated.
The nursing staff were very quick to return phone calls and answer any questions we forgot to ask while in the office. They were also accommodating when I had a subchorionic hematoma and wanted to come in at 5 weeks pregnant to check on my baby. I even had a nurse take a medication home with her for me to pick up from her since I lived way too far away to get to the office before they closed. We had a very positive experience with the nurses.
Dr. Awadalla was very patient and thorough in his explanations of what to expect with each procedure. We were never talked down to or made to feel ignorant. He seemed to genuinely understand the emotional toll infertility takes on you.
Don't be afraid to vocalize concerns, questions, etc.
My treatment was a year ago. I know I did quite a few days of injectable medications and had to add in an extra injectable closer to my egg retrieval.
We had office visit costs, lab work, and then the complete charge for the entire IVF procedure. Transferring our frozen embryo and freezing charge were additional.
Dr. Awadalla was only open to transferring more than one embryo for us if they were day 3 embryos. We did transfer 2 day 3 embryos and they were unsuccessful. We had one day 5 embryo make it to freeze and that perfect little embryo was born 4 months ago.
Cincinnati

IRH offers a money back program. I believe it was $18,000 which gave you 2 egg retrievals, 2 fresh cycles, and 2 frozen cycles. If at the end of all of that you have not had a live birth, they give you 70% (I believe) of your money back.... The office is incredibly organized! Your appointment will ALWAYS be right on time and every department of that office is very responsive to calls and questions. The nursing staff goes above and beyond and you will never leave the office feeling like you don't have a full understand of anything going on.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr. S had compassion, understood what my husband and I were going through, and refused to give up. He was determined to make our dreams come true and I felt I could ask him anything.
The nursing staff is one of the best I've had the pleasure of working with. They were kind, understanding, incredible at making you feel at ease, and are sympathetic to what you are going through. They are always available to answer any questions and happy to help.
After having been a patient of Dr. Scheiber, I could not imagine having any other doctor. My husband and I underwent 12 cycles of treatment (we switched to Dr. S after the 9th or 10th cycle - he only needed 2 cycles to get the job done), and once the issue was identified, he went head on in finding a solution. When one cycle failed, he got a little more aggressive in treatment and adjusted our plan until we conceived our daughter. He didn't speak to us like a doctor, he spoke to us like human beings. He was thorough, always made sure we understood what was going on, and most importantly, made me feel so absolutely confident. Our transfers with him were the smoothest embryo transfers compared to other doctors and I always knew that he was right on the money.
The only advice I can offer a prospective patient is to take the leap of faith! Dr. Scheiber will not let you down. Whether you get the outcome you dream of or not, you will always know he did everything he could.
Dr. Scheiber didn't become my primary until later in my journey, and my diagnosis of factor II had just been discovered, but the minute I came to him he switched my medicines up to target the issue. Our first transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy, so right away he made a few adjustments and the next cycle resulted in my daughter. I don't remember specifics, but I remember him being very vigilant in finding the right combination of medicine/injectibles.
Every time we did a transfer, we placed two embryos which I thought was perfect. Two was where he drew the line for me and I was very happy with that.

Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
This clinic [Cincinnati Fertility] is amazing. However, be forewarned that there are 3 locations that the doctors rotate through, so be prepared to switch between doctors. They will schedule you for who is available at the day and time you need an appointment. But it honestly didn't bother me at all because all of the doctors were absolutely amazing and caring....IVF standard - $8,200 IVF Money-back Guarantee - $18,000 (3 cycles) ICSI - $1,100 Embryo Cropreservation Initial - $200 Embryo Cryostorage Quarterly - $400
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
This clinic is amazing. However, be forewarned that there are 3 locations that the doctors rotate through, so be prepared to switch between doctors. They will schedule you for who is available at the day and time you need an appointment. But it honestly didn't bother me at all because all of the doctors were absolutely amazing and caring.
Our treatment was very personalized and he took the time to get to know us and our situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Sarah and Jackie)
They are all amazing and very, very willing to answer all questions. Feel free to call the nurses line and ask even the silliest questions!
Dr Burwinkel is amazing. Caring, compassionate, yet knows when to give you the hard truths. Plus, he looks at you as individuals and as a couple, not as a "diagnosis box". Each month the treatment is personalized.
Ask all the questions you want! Don't be scared that he needs to be in charge. He listens and respects all of your questions and knows when it's best to push back with his own experience and knowledge.
- 2.5mg Femara due to high AMH with timed intercourse, no luck (x3) - 2.5mg Femara with IUI, no luck (x1) - No injectible IUIs due to high AMH and significant chance of high multiples - IVF with low-dose gonal-f, Cetrotide, and Ovidrel for trigger... Nervous about OHSS so set the expectation to only retrieve first cycle, then FET next cycle. Didn't end up needing to because the dosage was perfect and no OHSS!

1 IVF, Donor Sperm
We were told all of [the costs at Institute for Reproductive Health] upfront with their financial coordinator and we continue to pay for sperm storage which is once a year...I was able to do the majority of my appointments at the west chester location which is closer to me (I live just ourtside of Dayton) but the procedures all had to be done at the Cincinnati office which I was informed of day one. It’s a longer drive but definitely worth it...Heather was amazing she was at all of my appointments besides the education and the embryo harvest and transfer. I also had a nurse line to call and talked to her and other nurses several times. One particular frustrating time I was having with the pharmacy (not associated with the clinic) heather helped me through that and took the time to just let me vent about my frustrations.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
He called us by name and remembered past conversations ect. He never seemed rushed or bothered by my multiple questions.
I instantly trusted him in my care, and the care of my wife. I do not do this lightly, he seemed confident, and competent without arrogance, and did so with compassion. I felt like he had done this so many times he probably could have done it with his eyes closed however he still took his time to explain and answer questions with the understanding that this was our first time going through this.
Ask questions, and tell him what you want, listen but also know that he will listen to you.
We did co maternity IVF this was our desire going in. He gave us information on sperm donors and did a mock ultrasound guided transfer during the first visit, also lab work. Then we scheduled our education visit where we received all of our prescriptions up front and the protocol, we were seen for our scheduled visits at the west chester location and then Cincinnati location for the procedures. 11 eggs were retrieved and 5 fertilized and the best two were transferred on day 3 unfortunately the others didn’t continue to divide. This resulted into a healthy Singleton pregnancy which was confirmed with blood work and then an ultrasound at 6 weeks and another at 10 weeks, then our care was transferred to my OBGYN.
Ours were covered through insurance and we were responsible for 15 percent. We were told all of this upfront with their financial coordinator and we continue to pay for sperm storage which is once a year.
I followed his recommendation of transferring 2 on day 3 or one on day 5. I felt comfortable with this approach and was explained the risk of course of having multiples.

Endometriosis, PCOS
I remember the egg retrieval day [at Institute for Reproductive Health]. A massive snow storm was supposed to hit and emergency personnel for the city were already on call. I phoned the clinic the night before terrified that the roads would be too bad and hat the clinic would be closed. They assured me no matter what they would be there (I couldn’t believe it. They understood how much money I had spent on meds and how much till this had taken on my body). They knew that if we missed he window the egg retrieval wouldn’t be possible. At one point the nurse told me that if hey had to have the police pick them up and take them in they would be there.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
They were so easy to work with and explained things so well and never once made me feel bad for calling back and asking any question I needed. They also Have an office located in northern Kentucky (and since I was traveling from Lexington Ky) they tried to fit in as many appointment in the northern Ky office as possible instead of having to go into Ohio each time. I remember the egg retrieval day. A massive snow storm was supposed to hit and emergency personnel for the city were already on call. I phoned the clinic the night before terrified that the roads would be too bad and hat the clinic would be closed. They assured me no matter what they would be there (I couldn’t believe it. They understood how much money I had spent on meds and how much till this had taken on my body). They knew that if we missed he window the egg retrieval wouldn’t be possible. At one point the nurse told me that if hey had to have the police pick them up and take them in they would be there. Probably about 4 hours after my retrieval we got 16 inches of snow. And at the time I thought of people scheduled the day after me and knew that hey would be taken care of. That to me was such a blessing.
Every visit someone (usually Dr. Awadalla sat down with me and explained each step of the process). He gave me realistic expectations while still making me hopeful. And he also knew when to slow me down and recommended waiting for all of the hormone shots to have time to get out of my body, and to do an initial frozen transfer once I was feeling better after he egg retrieval. THis resulted in my son. I will never be able to thanks him enough.
They were always very sweet and very easy to work with.
I met Dr. Awadalla at a time in my life where I had almost given up that hope of being a mom. He sat me down and told me we could do this and if I trusted the process and listened to what they told me he had full confidence that IVf would work for us. He knew how much I wanted a baby, and after the egg retrieval I was counting down the days for the implant day. He looked at me as a whole person and sat me down and explained that based on new research and based on my labs he truly felt that we should wait until my body had time to recover. I remember being devastated to wait another month but I trusted him so we waited. As the hormones subsided I started feeling much better and I started to understand his decision. In March of 2016 on our frozen implant day I felt good and ready; and 9 months later I was holding my sweet baby boy. I can never ever thank him enough for what he did for our family.
Trust him. Trust him. If he tells you you need to wait it is for a reason. If he wants to change a med in the middle of a cycle there is a reason. Because he looks at everyone individually and works for what is best in their situation. Infertility is not an exact science and we have to be willing our give into the process. If you trust dr Awadalla he will do everything in his power to get you to the sweet baby.
We had already tried clomid and IUI before meeting with Dr Awadalla so he knew from the beginning we were there for IVF. He never pushed me on that matter. He started to explain to me the process and the risks. He looked at my small stature and told me from the beginning that we were going to try for a single birth (which was exactly what we wanted). I am a pharmacist so all of the drugs and the process made sense to me, but what I didn’t expect was after the egg retrieval how bad I would fee. I thought ‘this surgery doesn’t involved any cutting I will be fine the next day. That was not the case. But I pushed on and was ready to implant ASAP. But he sat me down and told me he thought that we should wait. That we should freeze our embryos and let my body rest and get back to normal. He suggested his based on research he had just learned from a conference. At the time I was devastated but I listened and gave into the process. A month later we did one frozen transefer which 9 months later resulted in my son. He was so right. I felt good throughout my whole pregnancy and had no complications. My son is almost 2 and I look at him in awe sometimes. Without Dr awadalla he would not be here and I cannot imagine that
I was able to purchase a plan that was basically the price of two IVF procedures but guaranteed that we could have 6 tries under that price. That was amazing for us because it took away the pressure of ‘what if it doesn’t work the first time’. It’s been several years but I also believe if it didn’t work after 6 tries you got over half your money back. I can tell you after my son was born I never once again thought of that money, but at the time it made the process less stressful.
Dr awadalla told me we could transfer two embryos if we demanded it but he highly recommended just one embryo transfer based on my stature. I was prepared for thre possibility of twins and knew that two embryos would increase our odds but I listened to him and I’m glad I did. Having one baby was perfect for our family and was an easy pregnancy for me.

Male Factor, PCOS, Other
The location, at first, was a bit daunting to find [for IRH-Cincinnati]. But after we learned our way around and learned a few traffic tricks...we usually just made a day of it. There is a shopping center next door, several restaurants and a couple of nice hotels. We live 2 hours away and fighting with rush hour traffic was misery.... Meds were the most expensive, i think they were about 6 thousand. Our total cost was around 13 thousand. With hotel stays and time off work the process cost close to 18 thousand. All out of pocket. Our insurance does not cover treatment and due to advanced age we didnt qualify for most programs.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The location, at first, was a bit daunting to find. But after we learned our way around and learned a few traffic tricks...we usually just made a day of it. There is a shopping center next door, several restaurants and a couple of nice hotels. We live 2 hours away and fighting with rush hour traffic was misery.
Very professional, answered all questions in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Always very caring and descrete. For such a large practice we still felt important.
Just felt very comfortable even in the most uncomfortable situations. Dr Burwinkle, and his associates were able to get us through a very trying time. Infertility is stressful. We had male factor infertility which was doubly hard on my husbands psyche. The fact we had trouble conceiving was devastating to him after he found out. They made the process bareable, and helped us overcome all of our hurdles.
Expect to cultivate patients...the ivf journey imparticular is long and tedious. The exact combination of medicines may take more than one cycle. We were lucky, but i read the book the clinic put out by Dr Awadalla to help prepare. Started a vitamin regimen to increase egg health and went on a diabetic diet to help control my pcos before we started.
I dont remember
They do, but due to my advanced maternal age it was decided one embryo tranfer might not be in our best interest. We opted for 2, Five day blastocyst transfers and placed the others on ice for future...we were blessed with a healthy baby boy after the first fresh transfer. And still have 2 frozen embys.
2013 - 2016
The wait time [at Institute for Reproductive Health] is usually under 10 minutes. They can schedule new patients within a few weeks. They were very flexible with my schedule. They are very kind and compassionate...They [nurses] were excellent! Always called me back within hours. Were very kind and compassionate to me. Also, very knowledgeable...I think our IUI's (including monitoring appointments and sperm collection) were around $800. This did not include medication, as my insurance fortunately covered those.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The wait time is usually under 10 minutes. They can schedule new patients within a few weeks. They were very flexible with my schedule. They are very kind and compassionate.
Dr Schieber was very kind and compassionate. When I had failed cycles he validated my sadness and then we came up with next steps together. And when we finally got pregnant he was very excited for us!
They were excellent! Always called me back within hours. Were very kind and compassionate to me. Also, very knowledgeable.
Dr Schieber is very kind and compassionate. He has a really good sense of humor which was helpful to us during this season of life. There was one day that he seemed really rushed (but that was not the norm so I'm not sure if something was going on in the clinic that day that he needed to get to...?). One thing that I needed to adjust to initially was he didn't really seem to think taking "natural routes" would really help much... I asked him if I should go on a gluten-free or fairy-free diet and he just kind of chuckled. He said I could if I wanted to, but didn't think it would make much difference. The doctor I had seen before him was very much an advocate of the natural route so I had to adjust to Dr Schiebers mindset.
Go see him sooner than later!
For my first child we did IUI with injectibles (follistim) 3 times. And the 3rd time worked! I wasnted to move onto IVF after the second cycle failed but Dr Sheiber encouraged me to do 3 cycles before moving on. I'm so glad he