Institute for Reproductive Health

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
3805 Edwards Rd.
Cincinnati, OH 45209
6900 Houston Rd.
Florence, KY 41042
7242 Tylers Corner
West Chester, OH 45069
513.924.5550
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Institute for Reproductive Health to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Nursing staff [at IRH-Cincinnati] is fantastic, doctors are knowledgeable and ahead on all current and future technology. The laboratory is best in class. I never had trouble getting in for any appointments and never had to wait for an extended period. They also have great access to resolve resource groups as well as girls night in support groups.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Nursing staff is fantastic, doctors are knowledgeable and ahead on all current and future technology. The laboratory is best in class. I never had trouble getting in for any appointments and never had to wait for an extended period. They also have great access to resolve resource groups as well as girls night in support groups.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
How was your experience with Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The battle to conceive was long and hard but Dr A kept fighting. He never gave up hope which gave us continued hope for success. He performed two D&C’svand a tubal pregnancy removal and always showed compassion. He was very candid that he thought my egg quality was the issue but gave me time and space to work through those thoughts. Ultimately he was 100% correctvand got us to the donor coordinator for further information. We gave two beautiful little girls now and are family is complete. Rainbows do come after storms.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
He is an amazing doctor. Sometimes he can be a bit blunt but that’s just because he is trying to get you the results you are trying to achieve. Trust him he’s brilliant.
Describe the protocols Sherif Awadalla used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
PGD was prescribed with IVF after multiple IUI miscarriages with chromosome abnormalities. With PGD we discovered that 80-90% of our embryo is had issues. When healthy embryos were unsuccessful. He recommended egg donor cycle. Once we went that route we only had one cycle and now gave one fresh baby and one frozen
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health.
IVF with ICSI and PGD was around 12-15k and donor cycle was 20-25k. Donor cycle charges in Clyde freezing of embroyos and frozen transfer. Cycle resulted in two Singleton pregnancies.
Cincinnati
They [the nurses at IRH] were always quick to respond to messages no matter how silly I thought they were. They were very positive and the nurses all seem to be in the right specialty. Each one told me good luck. One even made sure that my progesterone was no red pills because no one needed the additional stress of the pink. It was the little details... They offer global billing with my insurance so the pricing was great. Even without insurance it was a fraction of the cost of a normal cycle.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
You may not see "your" doctor for everything but it is okay. I saw all 4 doctors at different points and liked them all. Dr. Schrieber did most of my scans, Dr. Adawalla did my retrieval and Dr. O'Leary did my transfer. All were really nice and good at what they do.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The appointments were always on time but were also very fast, albeit effective. Sometimes if I didn't ask a question I didn't have things explained, but they knew what they were doing and were ALWAYS polite and the important bits made sure to make you aware.
They were always quick to respond to messages no matter how silly I thought they were. They were very positive and the nurses all seem to be in the right specialty. Each one told me good luck. One even made sure that my progesterone was no red pills because no one needed the additional stress of the pink. It was the little details.
How was your experience with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
He was always polite to us, and prior to treatment after my baseline he was extra nice getting me ready for my injections. I went into it more than feeling prepared for the cycle to begin. I had my options already laid out and decided.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Do it. The office is a great place. I love all the doctors.
Describe the protocols Thomas Burwinkel used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
Took the pill for about 2 weeks. Then had a suppression check. Got my initial doses, which were updated at my first scan and adjusted from there. Adjusted again at my next two, and ended up with 100% fertilized from mature eggs!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Describe Thomas Burwinkel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
At first I was hesitant but then I understood. If the cycle isn't successful I will approach the issue of transferring two.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Other
The biggest strength [Institute for Repro Health] is the people - everyone is so friendly that it really puts my mind at ease. But the biggest weakness is the telephone system. Being basic therapy and never being able to get through to an actual person is irritating. Running late for an appointment? There's no way to let the staff know.... Nursing staff actually seem to care about patients. I don't feel like "just another number" when I talk to them.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The biggest strength is the people - everyone is so friendly that it really puts my mind at ease. But the biggest weakness is the telephone system. Being basic therapy and never being able to get through to an actual person is irritating. Running late for an appointment? There's no way to let the staff know. Trying to decide if you need to go to urgent care/ER or if you might be overreacting? Leave a message and they'll call back "sometime". Both of these are situations I've experienced and it has been incredibly frustrating each time. Being a non-IVF patient is like being a second class citizen - you're not really important in their grand scheme of things.
Dr. Burwinkel has typically made a lot of time to answer all of my questions, but sometimes is busy and clearly trying to get through his patient list as quickly as possible.
Nursing staff actually seem to care about patients. I don't feel like "just another number" when I talk to them. They give the easiest and most painless blood draws I've ever experienced, and they actually seem interested in getting to know patients beyond what's on the chart.
Dr. Burwinkel is definitely a straight shooter. He's not one for false promises of success or sugar coating a point. However, this doesn't mean he's without empathy. He's provided wonderful care through my unsuccessful pregnancies and has always given me clear next steps for things we'll try next time. In 2018, we had success with his treatment and welcomed our daughter into the world.
Be completely honest about your history and situation in your consultation. He can't help to the best of his abilities without full and complete information.
Metformin for PCOS, folic acid/COQ-10 supplements for healthy eggs, Letrozole to boost egg health at time of ovulation, Ovidrel to stimulate ovulation. (RPL, basic therapy only)
Do not remember all costs.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The clinic [Institute for Repro Health] is organized, clean and runs well. The low-tech billing seems to happen very rapidly. The IVF billing seems to be delayed, which means a longer delay before I can check the claims status online with my insurance company.... Most of the nurses that I have dealt with have been wonderful. They are familiar with the treatment regimens and able to answer questions. When I did call to report a Day 1 and ask if we should continue with the same approach, the nurse I spoke to told me it was up to me.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is organized, clean and runs well. The low-tech billing seems to happen very rapidly. The IVF billing seems to be delayed, which means a longer delay before I can check the claims status online with my insurance company.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr Awadalla was honest with me and my situation at every step. He was compassionate when he delivered the news that I had miscarried.
Most of the nurses that I have dealt with have been wonderful. They are familiar with the treatment regimens and able to answer questions. When I did call to report a Day 1 and ask if we should continue with the same approach, the nurse I spoke to told me it was up to me. When I counted that I would like a recommendation from the experts, she continued to tell me that it was up to me. I had to push to have Dr Awadalla contacted to give input. When he called me, he actually had a different recommendation, so I felt validated in pushing. That has been the only interaction that I was not satisfied with, however.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr Awadalla determined why I could not conceive (missed by my GYN) and recommended surgery, which he performed. I conceived naturally in 3 cycles after that. For TTC#2, I was older and he shared his concerns with the likelihood of success. Early IUIs were successful, but did not result in live births. After 10 total IUIs, my course of treatment was only adjusted because I asked if it made sense to continue or to look at other options. We have moved on to IVF, but it is still early in the first cycle. I find Dr A to be very accurate in his assessments and knowledgeable. I trust that I am in good hands, for as much as medical science can help me at my age.
Ask a lot of questions. Dr Awadalla is happy to explain the details to patients who are interested. Also ask at what point you should have a consult to evaluate the plans, so you know what to expect.
TTC #1 (age 38): Dx: uterine fibroids, blocked Fallopian tube. Tx: Myomectomy, salpingectomy (tube could not be saved and was removed). Resulted in live birth, conceived naturally in 3 cycles. TTC #2 (age 41): DX: unexplained infertility (age). Tx: IUI with 5mg Femara CD 3-7. IUIs 1 and 4 resulted in pregnancy, but not live birth. Likely due to poor egg quality. Repeated for IUI 5-8 because successful getting pregnant, but waiting for a better quality egg. For IUI 9 and 10, added Follistim (IUI 9: CD 7-10, 50IU; IUI 10: CD 7-11, 100IU). BFN. Given option to select surgery to recheck remaining Fallopian tube or IVF. Started IVF. Currently on CD 9: 5mg Femara CD 3-7, Gonal-F 300IU CD5-10, Cetritide CD10, rest of days/dosage TBD.
With insurance (assuming deductible was paid and yearly maximum for benefits not met), an IUI cycle was roughly $75 out of pocket, not including medications.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] is very clean and professional. The front desk person was always friendly and helpful! The donor coordinator was so helpful during the whole process, making me feel very comfortable. The main drawback was feeling like a number in the clinic without getting any further testing that was requested.... The nurses were very knowledgeable and answered questions very thoroughly.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very clean and professional. The front desk person was always friendly and helpful! The donor coordinator was so helpful during the whole process, making me feel very comfortable. The main drawback was feeling like a number in the clinic without getting any further testing that was requested.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health?
explanations of treatments were never given. Monitoring visits were always very rushed, and when I asked questions during he would refer me to the nursing staff as if he couldn’t be bothered to answer.
The nurses were very knowledgeable and answered questions very thoroughly.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
How was your experience with Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Appointments always felt very rushed. If I had questions during the appointment, he didn’t answer, but referred me to the nursing staff. When asking for further testing after an early loss, I felt treated as a child asking for a second piece of cake. Treatment plans never changed, nor were any further tests recommended after several failed transfers. The only solution seemed to be to throw another complete round of donor egg ivf at us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Be very knowledgeable about treatment options and advocate for yourself! Be very blunt in asking for answers to any questions you may have!
Describe the protocols Michael Scheiber used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
For frozen embryo transfers 1-3, estrace was started at day 1, 3X per day. Progesterone was started 5 days before transfer. 1 early loss and 2 negatives. FET 4 was a “natural cycle” with with follicle monitoring. Once follicle was big enough, we did the trigger shot to release the egg. FET was then a week later. Progesterone was started 5 days before the transfer. Transfer resulted in a negative beta.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
I love the IRH nursing staff. They showed as much compassion as the doctors do. Many times I saw the nurses more often, due to blood draws. They are just as informed as the doctors and always answered any questions that I had.... Every time I walked into IRH, I felt as if people knew who I was. There was a receptionist who greeted us upon entry. We never had a long wait time in the waiting room, they valued our time as employed adults.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
IRH has no weaknesses. I would, and have, recommended IRH to anyone who is going through fertility problems. I never had an issue with scheduling or appointments. The wait time in the waiting room and the treatment room was minimal. My husband and I were very lucky to be able to cover the cost of our fertility treatments; however, I know that they are great with working with families on payment plans if they cannot cover the cost at once.
Every time I walked into IRH, I felt as if people knew who I was. There was a receptionist who greeted us upon entry. We never had a long wait time in the waiting room, they valued our time as employed adults. Dr. Burwinkel and staff always greeted us by name and remember what it was that we were here for. He celebrated with us in successful treatment and mourned with us with each loss of pregnancy.
I owe my chance at becoming a mother to Dr. Burwinkel. From our first visit he treated myself and my husband with respect and always gave us the most honest information. He never promised that he would make me a mother, but told me that he would do anything to help me become one. He answered every question that I had, and I had a lot of them. Every treatment was fully explained. I never felt as if I was unaware of what was happening to my body. He was compassionate with each loss that we experienced and gave us the facts each time there was a setback. When we were finally able to have a full term pregnancy and I gave birth to my little boy in April 2018.
Do your own research and never be afraid to ask questions.
I took Letrozole (similar to Clomid), we did the injection to release my eggs and then did IUI. I had four rounds of IUI. Two resulted in miscarriages and one was a viable pregnancy.
Fertility treatment is not cheap. Each round of IUI cost about $900 including pills, shots, doctor appointments, and procedures. In addition to the IUIs, I had to have laparoscopic surgery for the chemical pregnancy and a D&C for the miscarriages. Each of these procedures was an additional cost.
2014 - 2018
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
I have to say this clinic [IRH-Cincinnati] is great so no negatives to note. Very professional and courtesy as well as caring staff. They always make you feel welcome and have never made us feel unwelcome or a bother to them.... Nursing staff had always been pleasant to work with. They are compassionate and always get back to you in a timely manner.... For self pay we paid around $20,000 in 2014 with meds and all. This included a failed cycle and a full IVF cycle then our last egg was frozen which resulted in a baby girl. We now have insurance and it’s nice that they have a global with our insurance because that helps a lot!
2014 - 2018
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I have to say this clinic is great so no negatives to note. Very professional and courtesy as well as caring staff. They always make you feel welcome and have never made us feel unwelcome or a bother to them.
Dr. Scheiber always put my feelings first and was very understanding with my problems and what I was going through. He is a very caring doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr. scheiber helped me understand fully everything that would be done and was so positive through our entire process. He never once made me feel like our IVF wasn’t going to work. He was always very upfront and honest but also caring and helpful at the same time.
He’s the best! There isn’t anyone better! We made the mistake of seeing another RE (because we thought it would be cheaper) and have since went back to him!
I was on stims like most and our first cycle was cancelled because I had one follicle taking over on one side. He cancelled and started a new protocol that worked better for me. We ended up with 6 eggs and 3 fertilized. The first two were transferred and we were pregnant but miscarried and the last egg was put in from frozen and we became pregnant again. She is 3 years old and the best blessing ever!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Describe Michael Scheiber's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
I agree with whatever he thinks is the best.
Cincinnati
Both the Cincinnati and Florence locations of the clinic [IRH] are clean and organized. The Cincinnati location in particular is actually quite beautiful! The environment is warm and professional, with elegant furniture and a clean space.... The nursing staff is always friendly and knowledgeable. Prior to conceiving my first born, they always showed compassion and interest. Once I had conceived, before being released to my OBGYN, the nurses were always quick and happy to answer the many questions I had and to offer comfort and understanding for my concerns.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Both the Cincinnati and Florence locations of the clinic are clean and organized. The Cincinnati location in particular is actually quite beautiful! The environment is warm and professional, with elegant furniture and a clean space.
Dr. Awadalla was so warm. He always seems excited to see me. He is open and direct, while also taking emotions into account. Our whole infertility experience changed when we went into his office.
Dr. Awadalla is wonderful: he is both kind and extremely knowledgeable. My experience conceiving my first son was vastly different from attempts with a previous doctor. I felt Dr. Awadalla was taking care of me and my family rather than just trying to help us get pregnant.
GO FOR IT!
I have PCOS. I took progestin to induce a period and then took Femara for (I believe) about a week. Then I went in for an ultrasound to determine if my follicles were ready. As they were, that night my husband gave me a triggering shot in the thigh and the next morning we went to the Cincinnati office to collect my husbands sample and complete the IUI. We found out several weeks later that we were pregnant with our son. We are now preparing to attempt baby number two and will follow the same process, minus the progestin as I have had a period since I stopped breastfeeding my son.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
When I have called [the nurses at Institute for Reproductive Health], and been sent to voicemail they always have called me back in a timely fashion, and any paperwork that I have needed has also been sent quickly...The nursing staff works very hard, yet they always have a smile on their faces. When we received that dreaded phone call that says "I'm so sorry, but your test was negative," the nurses were compassionate, and disappointed along with us. You can just tell that phone call is one that they absolutely do not like making. It is not routine to them.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The strengths I would hit on when I talked to a new patient would be about waiting. I would tell the patient that the wait time is not long. They get us in and out in a timely manner. I would also tell them that their opinions do matter, and their wants also matter to this medical team. The weakness that would hit on would be about awkward situations. Fertility procedures can get awkward. This is something that they do every day, not much can surprise them. An example, when my husband went in to give a sample of his sperm, we were taken back when the nurse asked, "Would your wife like to join you." Yes we are all adults, but that was just not something that we thought would be asked or even thought about. To them though, it happens, and its ok.
He has always called me by my first name, and he doesn't have to look at my chart to remember my history. When we did get pregnant, and we went for the first ultra sound he asked us to come to his office, told us delicately that we would only have a 50% chance to carry the baby because of a small sack. After the second ultrasound he said "go ahead get dressed, and meet me in my office." I told Dr. A that I didn't want to meet in his office because last time we didn't get good news. He complied, let me get dressed, and he came back into our room. We found out that the baby had a heart beat, but the sack was just getting smaller. Dr. A then gave us a 25% chance. He let us come back for a third ultrasound. and that's when we found out that the baby no longer had a heartbeat. Dr. A gave me the options that I needed, a box of Kleenex, and let me cry in his office until I was ready to leave. He has also called me himself, and asked me not to give up because the embryos we have now are high quality, and he believes that we will have a healthy pregnancy.
The nursing staff works very hard, yet they always have a smile on their faces. When we received that dreaded phone call that says "I'm so sorry, but your test was negative," the nurses were compassionate, and disappointed along with us. You can just tell that phone call is one that they absolutely do not like making. It is not routine to them. When I have called, and been sent to voicemail they always have called me back in a timely fashion, and any paperwork that I have needed has also been sent quickly.
Dr. Awadalla has great bed side manners, patience, and compassion for his patients. He gives time to explain what needs to be explained, and questions that need to be answered. He also abides by our wishes. I have a very short stature, one of the first things that I told Dr. A was that I was not ok transferring more than two embryos. Dr. A completely understood, and actually the clinics policy is to only transfer one or two embryos.
I would tell a prospective patient to be ready. Dr. A and his team are on it. It's a tough journey, but it can also be a quick journey. After meds, and cycles are figured out its a whirl wind from there. Everything with fertility has to be timed just right, and from my experiences Dr. A has timed it just right. I would also tell them to listen to the doctors, they know what they are doing.
Both my cycles have been very similar. I have started off with about 17 days of birth control. I was then off three days, and than I started injections for 10 days. I had injected Gonal F, Menopur, and Centrotide. I can't remember which injection out of the three, but he only added it during my second cycle. After that, I had taken my trigger shot. He also had me taking Estrodial and Progesterone. I was taking those two even after my transfer.
I don't remember the full cost, but I believe around $8200 for a fresh cycle, and $7000 for a frozen cycle.
Describe Sherif Awadalla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
The Cincinnati of Reproductive Health approach on multiple embryo transfer is most usually only two at the most, but from my experience if the embryos are high quality they only like to transfer one.
Cincinnati
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] is very nice. They have a few satellite offices that really help since Greater Cincinnati is so big. They have recently added a nurse practitioner who is able to help with some appointments which makes wait times better and scheduling easier. I know they often have support group nights but I have never attended.... My appointments were scheduled within the monitoring window and it worked out well.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very nice. They have a few satellite offices that really help since Greater Cincinnati is so big. They have recently added a nurse practitioner who is able to help with some appointments which makes wait times better and scheduling easier. I know they often have support group nights but I have never attended. My biggest suggestion would be for them to have an actual counselor on site who is able to help couples mentally and emotionally prepare. It is by far the scariest and hardest thing I ever had to go through and I felt like I was just winging it so much of the time. Someone like this or even information on resources that people can reach out to on their own would be a giant help. All of the doctors are really great. I can't speak for any other clinics, but overall I have been very happy with Dr. Scheiber and IRH. We are just still waiting for our happy ending. Sadly, a lot of times things just come down to finances and that is just a sad fact of life in this country.
Most of the time I completely felt like a human but there were a few times that it was so busy that I could tell I was being rushed through.
They were always very warm and caring. They work very hard. Sometimes it would take awhile to hear back but that is only because they are busy with their patients in the office too.
He is a wonderful doctor and person. I don't think the reason we have been unsuccessful is his fault. I wish we hadn't rushed into IVF, but he did feel that my age was a bigger factor than I feel it is. He is warm and caring but he is very by the book and often hesitates to change protocols. But he knows what he is doing. He has been in the business a very long time.
Understand that he is a human doctor, not god. He has limitations and nothing is guaranteed. Know that he is always willing to sit down and talk to you, just make sure you call and schedule the time for the sake of his time and yours.
We started out with Letrozole, which I did respond to, but I was not conceiving. We moved onto Letrozole with Trigger Shot and IUI, and I still was not successful. I took a break for a few months and then did IVF. We did this because I was approaching age 35. 8 eggs were retrieved and we ended up with 3 embryos. My first transfer was fresh and it ended in a Chemical Pregnancy. I took a break for several months before I transferred a frozen embryo but that failed. Right now we are just waiting before we do anything else because of finances.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Pretty efficient. I definitely never waited in line or anything like that. My appointments were scheduled within the monitoring window and it worked out well.
I know our insurance helped cover our inseminations, so I can't remember the cost of those. I believe our fresh IVF cycle was $9000 and my frozen cycle was $4500, not including meds.
Dr. Scheiber always let me choose. He is very pro eSET, which makes a lot of sense. Financially, I see why people often transfer more than 1, but eSET is the safest option for the health of the babies should you conceive so that is what we always did.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The clinic [Institute for Repro Health] was clean and support staff was great. Be prepared for several canceled appointments due to scheduling issues on their part... The nurses were kind and patient but we had many scheduling mistakes. On more than 3 occasions we had to change appointment times because of a scheduling conflict on their end. They also wrote down a protocol completely wrong & scratched out everyone to rewrite it after we pointed out their mistake.
European, Latino
1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was clean and support staff was great. Be prepared for several canceled appointments due to scheduling issues on their part, we had about 5. Ask all of the questions and do your own research.
Never present, never remembered us.
The nurses were kind and patient but we had many scheduling mistakes. On more than 3 occasions we had to change appointment times because of a scheduling conflict on their end. They also wrote down a protocol completely wrong & scratched out everyone to rewrite it after we pointed out their mistake. Another big reason you should educate yourself. My husband has very low spent count so we wanted to freeze a few vials to be safe before egg retrieval. There was a miscommunication there & they were never frozen so he had to go back in. We were 100% out of pocket so taking time off of work & scheduling these appointments was very hard for us.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Several miscommunication errors. On our first day one one D.R. Schiber had us down for an IUI when we have to do IVF, we were prescribed the wrong medicine and 2 months lost. (Travel following month). Once we started our IVF cycle we were anticipated to get 4 eggs but only retrieved one. We did know that there was this possibility but we never got a clear answer of why. The retrieving doctor (Dr Awadalla) told us something different from Dr Schiber. Dr Schiber said he would get back to us after discussing with Dr Awadalla but that never happened. We never had a follow up call after our one embryo arrested. I had to follow up and wait two more months for another ‘consultation. Our next IVF cycle was canceled due to inconsistent growth. Following the canceled cycle we decided to go with donor embryos. Our nurse practitioner told us that the quality of the two donor embryos was good & great. Once I received my medical records from the Institute for Reproductive Health it showed that the embryos were actually rated good & poor. The donor cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy and once my beta numbers dropped I never received a call from the doctor. I even went in with terrible left side pain and never received a call following up with me. We have very specific fertility problems yet didn’t feel like we were on a tailored plan. I left the practice and found that my next doctor did throughout testing before starting an IVF cycle with us. We felt as if they just wanted out money and did not truly care if it worked for us, especially since we would never receive a call when each cycle did not result in a pregnancy. We never felt like Dr Schiber truly knew who we were and he was very quick during office visits. We never felt like we had a chance to ask him questions & felt as if we were a bother to him.
Ask questions even if you feel rushed and educated yourself before your visit. You know your body best and if you have specific concerns do your best to be heard.
Antagonist - Femara, 75 Menopur/200 Gonal F adding certrotide. Canceled cycles was a Microdose Lupron flare.
9500 for full IVF cycle not including Medication. 4500 for donor embryo transfer.
We did not make it this far with our own embryos and we had to transfer the two donor at the same time because they were frozen together.
IUI, 1 IVF
The care at IRH is set up to be treated like a number. There was no personal care and i'm not even sure they knew my name. I had to repeat my issues, why we were there and our current status multiple times...We were not informed of the options before our procedures, specifically ICSI and transfer strategy for optimal results. When asking questions it was hard to get consistent answers across nurses.
IUI, 1 IVF
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic definitely has strength in numbers based on the number of patients they have, however you are treated like that, a number. I believe their intention is great but not having any email access and only voicemail makes for a challenging communication exchange throughout the day. Not being able to contact them in any other way but voicemail is next to impossible in my line of work. We couldn't get our questions answered in a timely fashion based on this.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I am sure Dr. Burwinkel is a find physician but I wouldn't know too much since I saw him only twice during my care. I did not feel as though he was treating me but rather the entire staff at IRH. Had we had a consistent set of information and communication we would have made different choices. I feel I wasted time and money going there.
Know what you need and expect in your fertility treatment before you go.
The costs were pretty straight forward. They provided a pricing sheet up front for all of the procedures but there was no coordination with my insurance company beyond the pre authorization paperwork. I had to contact the insurance company in order to determine what would be covered. I was never able to get a straight answer from either party. It was unclear to me how much I would owe. In total with my company's coverage ($5,000) and I paid $6K out of pocket for a round of IVF and single transfer. We had no embryos left to freeze and did not do ICSI.
It would have been nice to discuss this strategy and options before the transfer. We had no idea we would be faced with the choices while i was in the transfer procedure. These important details of how many and odds should be discussed in advance.
Cincinnati
The nurses [at Institute for Reproductive Health] were always nice and caring. They didn’t however provide a lot of detailed information...The clinic is large with multiple providers which can be good or bad. They always have someone to take care of you, it just may not be someone who is super familiar with you in particular. It is easy to get an appointment and their multiple locations are helpful. For the most part they are compassionate but I did have one provider who somewhat scolded me that I needed to make IVF a “priortiy.” This was after I had gone through several less invasive procedures and a previous egg retrieval and transfer over the course of a year and a half. I was also continuing to work full time and drive 90 minutes one way just to get to my appointment. I think I was making it a priority and was kind of offended by how that was mentioned to me.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I really enjoyed Dr. Burwinkel’s bedside manner however, a couple times I felt like he wasn’t 100% informed on who I was in particular. I had to have surgery and saw him for a post-op appointment which was fine. I then started back on treatment which was a timed intercourse cycle and when I came in for an ultrasound to check for follicles, he just looked at my uterus with the ultrasound and didn’t measure any follicles. He made it seem like he thought this was a post-op follow up and didn’t really provide the correct information for me for my trigger timing. I started to lose confidence after that visit but continued with him for multiple other cycles, eventually leading me to IVF.
The nurses were always nice and caring. They didn’t however provide a lot of detailed information.
Dr. Burwinkel has 2 partners that cover him when he is off which is really nice. However, after my first IVF cycle did not result in pregnancy and few eggs/embryos with nothing to freeze, the protocol was not really changed. I don’t know if this was because his partner was covering but I never understood why a similar protocol would have different results. When I had even fewer eggs retrieved and only 1 embryo, I started to wonder if something else was wrong with me as I knew I had a high AMH and should have a lot of eggs. That transfer did result in pregnancy but ended in a second trimester miscarriage due to Down’s syndrome. When I saw Dr. Burwinkel following my miscarriage, he was very compassionate but was unable to come up with a plan for me to get more, better quality embryos in a future cycle. I think I lost all confidence at that time.
Provide details and keep patients informed.
My first IVF cycle was done with Follistim which was initially started at a moderate dose. When my estrogen jumped up, the dose was greatly reduced which later caused my estrogen to drop and I was offered to the chance to cancel the cycle. Since I had insurance coverage, I decided to proceed. I had 5 eggs retrieved. On day 1, none had fertilized so we did rescue ICSI that resulted in 2 embryos which were both transferred on day 3. This resulted in no pregnancy. For my second cycle, the Follistim was pretty much the same. I did take letrozole in the beginning with this cycle. Again my estrogen quickly increased so my Follistim was decreased and again my estrogen dropped and resulted in fewer eggs. I did have one 3 day embryo with ICSI which resulted in pregnancy, but later a miscarriage.
I had insurance coverage so I can only guess for the cab pay price. I believe IVF with ICSI and hatching is around $12,000 a cycle. A transfer is about $1000.
PCOS, Unexplained
IRH is a fantastic clinic all around. The staff are people too, so even though service is provided every day, you may not have the same staff each visit. This didn't bother us at all since they work seamlessly together and we had regular check-in visits with our primary doctor (Dr. Scheiber) there...All of the nurses we encountered during our treatment were professional and caring...we found the costs to be competitive (for the U.S.)
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr. Scheiber always treated us like people. He was patient to explain our case and options with us.
We were thoroughly impressed with Dr. Scheiber and the entire team at IRH. He was very personable and extremely professional. We ended up relocating to a different state without getting pregnant, but even after we left, he and his staff were helpful in providing necessary records and recommendations to resume treatment elsewhere. We'd highly recommend Scheiber!
The team at IRH work seamlessly to provide care every day of the week. For the in-office treatments and some investigative procedures, you will probably be seen by other doctors. They're all very good at IRH.
We started on a low-dose pill I took during 5 days of my menstrual cycle. I didn't respond as much as hoped (in terms of follicle growth), so the dosage was increased 50% for the remaining 4 cycles. We tried IUIs 4 times. Had we not relocated to another state, we would have skipped the intermediary option and gone straight to IVF. This was recommended because of my age (and weight).
Our medical insurance coverage was quite good. I don't remember exact costs, but we found the costs to be competitive (for the U.S.)
2014 - 2017
Everyone at IRH is amazing and kind. I never came across any rude people in all my many visits to the office. I remember being told good luck by other nurses who I had before, just not that day. I believe they all genuinely care for all their patients and they all want to help you have a baby.... The only weakness is their new phone system. I’m not a huge fan of automated. But I know it helps them help more people. I would just like to talk to a real person.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
IRH strengths: -The Drs/nurses work well together. They all enjoy being there. That makes their patients more comfortable about being there. -they’re knowledgeable about their field. They’re very confident on their treatment plans. -the wait times aren’t usually long. I don’t think I’ve waited longer than 10 minutes in the room. - they have 3 offices for patients convenience. The only weakness is their new phone system. I’m not a huge fan of automated. But I know it helps them help more people. I would just like to talk to a real person.
Dr. Schieber always greeted me with a smile, and was always positive about the treatments I was doing. He answered mine and my husband’s questions. He was always approachable.
I wish I was better at names. Everyone at IRH is amazing and kind. I never came across any rude people in all my many visits to the office. I remember being told good luck by other nurses who I had before, just not that day. I believe they all genuinely care for all their patients and they all want to help you have a baby.
Dr. Scheiber was very quick to diagnose me with PCOS. A quick ultrasound confirmed his diagnosis. I had to have a surgery before we started treatments to clear tissue out of my uterus. We started with femara. That wasn’t working well so I was given injectables. We did 5 or 6 iui’s all with femara and injectables without success. Dr. Scheiber was positive during the whole process but also realistic. He saw that iui’s weren’t working and suggested a meeting to discuss new ideas. Which was IVF. We were lucky to have some insurance coverage so we were able to start right away. We did education day the middle of January and injections started the second week of February. I had my first retrieval 2/24. Transfer was 2/27. We transferred two 3 day embryos. They didn’t stick. Second retrieval was 4/14. Transfer was 4/19. We transferred two 5 day embryos. They also didn’t stick. That was a very low point for me. If it wasn’t for Dr. Scheiber I would have quit right there. He convinced me to try a frozen transfer with our remaining 2 embryos. Our last chance. Dr. Scheiber was super upbeat and during the transfer on 5/25 he was like this is it! This time is going to work! On June 8 2016 I received the best phone call ever. I was pregnant! We had our first 2 ultrasounds at IRH then we graduated to my OB/GYN. On February 10,2017 I had a healthy baby boy!!
You’ve made the right choice choosing IRH and Dr. Scheiber. He’s kind but will tell you the truth. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
I was going like every other day or every 2 days for like two weeks during the cycle. I was usually able to schedule appointments when it was convenient for me. But obviously some days don’t work as well as others.
We were lucky and had insurance coverage. The drugs were expensive. I think for the Iui and ivf cycles we paid close to $10,000 on drugs and $10,000 for the cycles. Our costs would have doubled or tripled had we not had coverage.
We chose to transfer two embryos. We thought it would give us a better shot at atleast one sticking. The office suggests one, but won’t do any more than two.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] was very clean and organized and there was a private place for us to discuss our cycle and plan with the nurse and with the doctor. The check in and check out was always fairly smooth. Getting financial information for bills and services paid was difficult at times and there was some confusion about what had been paid for and what was still owed, but they were able to make some calls to get it figured out.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was very clean and organized and there was a private place for us to discuss our cycle and plan with the nurse and with the doctor. The check in and check out was always fairly smooth. Getting financial information for bills and services paid was difficult at times and there was some confusion about what had been paid for and what was still owed, but they were able to make some calls to get it figured out.
Early in the treatment process we were treated very well by all the staff and the doctor. We were given high expectation throughout the process and everyone was very positive and reassuring. After the retrieval and fertilization results came in we were told we’d be a freeze all cycle due to hyper stimulation but then received multiple calls the following days saying we were a fresh transfer, when in fact we were not able to go that route. It was rather upsetting. After our last frozen embryo transfer we were notified of the negative hcg via phone by one of the nurses and had expected we would hear from the doctor as we used our last 2 embryos. When we didn’t hear from him after a few days of getting the results, we called the office a few times to speak with him because we were never given the opportunity to discuss what happened or what the next steps are or what our options were or what could possibly be done differently if we chose to continue with another retrieval. We felt like we were just unsuccessful and dropped from the radar with no guidance or explanation as to where to go from there. Overall the people seemed to care throughout the process but after we felt like we were left in a cold and limbo like state.
The nurse I seen in the office and the one who reviewed the plan and medications were absolutely amazing. The one making the call didn’t seem to care and I was just a number she was reporting information to in order to cross me off the to do list. There were also multiple times I was contacted by the same nurse who gave me false (and very upsetting) information, she didn’t seem to know my case or what was going on.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
He reviewed all of my medical records and discussed options in detail with us during our initial consultation. He made of feel very comfortable, hopeful, and informed. During each visit we got additional information to help guide us with medications and what to expect. When we were unsuccessful after our last frozen transfer we were never contacted by him to discuss the cycles or any future plans of continuing treatment. We contacted his office and were given a time he would call back for us to ask questions. I don’t feel like we really got any answers as to why the cycles failed or what the next course of action would be or what could be done differently if we decided to do an additional retrieval and transfer.
Ask a lot of questions and be well informed every step of the way.
Cycle day 3 started birth control pills and a profilactic antibiotic, last bcp was day 22, had an ultrasound for follicles on day 23, cycle day 2 started using follistim 200 IU SQ at a given time daily for 4 days and then had a repeat follicle scan on day 6 with lab draw and continued on follistim 200 IU SQ, day 7 I took the follistim 200 IU SQ and Ganirelix SQ, day 8 follistim 200 IU SQ and ganirelix SQ, cycle day 9 had follicle scan and labs and changed follistim dose to 125 IU SQ with the ganirelix SQ, cycle day 10 follistim 100 IU SQ and ganirelix SQ, day 11 follicle scan and labs and took follistim 100 IU SQ and ganirelix SQ, cycle day 25 follistim 25 IU SQ and ganirelix SQ, day 13 Lipton trigger shot and started destinex tablets, day 14 dostinex tablet, day 15 egg retrieval (15 eggs retreived). Day 16 six eggs fertilized and told we would be a freeze all cycle due to ovarian hyper stimulation, day 18 above average growth and development on 4 of the eggs and regular on 2. Next cycle started - day 2 three embryos made it to blast stage and were frozen and need to postpone frozen transfer to next cycle. Started birth control pills for a few weeks and then started cycle day 1, started taking estradiol 3 times daily, day 13 had ultrasound and labs, day 18 started prometrium 3 times a day, day 23 frozen embryo transfer, negative hcg 11 days later, after the next cycle started and completed we did the 2nd frozen transer with our last 2 embryos which were grade A, 14 days later we had a negative hcg.
$8500 to begin the process (MD visit, ultrasounds, labs, retrieval and one fresh transfer, nurse education day) they wouldn’t let us do the fresh transfer so we did frozen which cost an additional $5000 (counting the second frozen transfer), medications and travel expenses roughly $3500 - totaling around $17000
I feel like at least 2 embryo transfer is the best route when you are doing IVF.
Cincinnati
I absolutely LOVE the nursing staff [at the Institute for Reproductive Health]. They are ALL caring and compassionate and go out of their way to help us. I could not imagine going through this journey without them!... The only weakness is when you call the office, you always have to leave a voicemail. However, the nurses/staff are quick to respond.... For IVF, we did the money back guarantee program with ICSI and that was around 22k (or 70% back if no live birth).
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I always felt like a human and not just a number. Dr. B did what was right for me and my situation and always gave me the honest information.
I absolutely LOVE the nursing staff. They are ALL caring and compassionate and go out of their way to help us. I could not imagine going through this journey without them!
Dr. Burwinkel is such an amazing doctor. He has gone above and beyond to help get my pregnant, and always listens to me. I had a miscarriage after an IUI in the summer of 2016. During my D&C, right before I was put under, I started crying. Dr. B. came to my side and held my hand as I was put to sleep for the procedure. I will never, ever forget the compassion he showed during that difficult time. Dr. B is always honest with me and does what is right for me and my situation. I could not ever imagine seeing another doctor or going ot another practice.
Be open and honest with Dr. B about your thoughts on your protocol. He WILL listen! Advocate for yourself, too.
IUIs 1-4: 5mg Femara and Ovidrel IUI 1 resulted in miscarriage with a D&C at 9 weeks. IUIs 2-4 were negative. IVF 1: 175 Follistim, then increased to 225. Ganirelix and Ovidrel--rationale, I have PCOS and did not want my to hyper stimulate. Prometrium after retrieval and through transfer. 2 Blasts, 1 transferred and did not result in pregnancy. FET 1: Estrace 2mg a day, then PIO. Frozen embryo transferred and did not result in pregnancy. IVF 2: 150 Follistim and 75 Menopur. The last twp days of stims, we upped the Follistim to 225. Ganirelix and Ovidrel. Added in medrol and baby asprin after the retrieval. Added PIO after retrieval. 7 total blasts. 2 transferred. Currently pregnant and waiting for my first ultrasound to determine if it's a singleton or twin pregnancy.
We used insurance for the IUIs, so the cost to us was around $100 per IUI. For IVF, we did the money back guarantee program with ICSI and that was around 22k (or 70% back if no live birth).
With my first IVF cycle, we did one embryo. Same with the FET because we only had 1 embryo left. After those two cycles failed, Dr. B decided to transfer two embryos moving forward. I trusted his judgement with the single and multiple embryo transfers.
2014 - 2017
All the IRH nurses are wonderful, but every time Heather was working when I was there she requested to work with me. We really connected at the West Chester office and she remembered me each time I was in. She has such a positive energy and exudes the hope all staff at a place like this should. She was a huge cheerleader for us through the whole process and when we got our positive. She was in the room when we found out we lost our baby and cried right along with us. I will never forget her or her compassion.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Weaknesses: the phone system is a bit confusing, even for seasoned patients. Also really have to pay attention to your bill for errors. Strengths: multiple locations around the city. Drs belong to The Christ Hospital which is the best in Cinci in my opinion. They offer an online and inperson support group which has been so wonderful.
Dr. Scheiber always takes time to explain everything and makes sure I understand. He answers my questions thoroughly and honestly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
Dr. Scheiber is very much to the point but makes sure I understand what's happening. He listens and responds to my questions no matter how long it takes. He was very straightforward about our chances of conceiving without giving false hope or seeming overly negative. What really makes me feel great about seeing him is the way he treated me when I miscarried. He had to deliver the news to us and even though he sees this all the time was visibly upset, which made me feel he truly cares. He then came in several hours early on his surgery day to fit me in so I wouldn't have to wait several days for a d&c. We are about to do our first frozen embryo transfer with him this month. We were having trouble getting the money together so shopped around for a cheaper clinic. We found one and I called IRH to see if he would match their price. He did far better than match it to keep me there and to not risk transporting our precious embryos elsewhere. Because of that we're able to do the transfer now rather than 6 months to a year from now. I feel like every bit of my treatment protocol has been spot on and I trust him implicitly. I know we're in excellent hands and feel 100% confident we'll have our miracle baby soon!
Ask questions! Even if you think of them later. He gives minimum detail unless you ask.
3 IUIs: only medication used was Ovidrel since we have male factor infertility. All 3 resulted in negative tests. IVF: can't recall the protocol but started birth control to suppress my cycle so it could be easily fracked and timed. Went off that and began stim injections to produce a number of eggs. Was closely monitored via ultrasound to check progress and retrieval was set based on follicle size. We had 12 follicles, 9 eggs retrieved, 6 5-day old blastocysts. We transferred 1 embryo which resulted in pregnancy but ended at 10 weeks due to chromosomal abnormality. Dr. Scheiber did not recommend pre genetic screening for the embryos because I do not have infertility and have high quality eggs. FET#1: prescribed Estrace beginning cycle day 1. Will be monitored for ovulation via ultrasound. Once I've ovulated the transfer will be scheduled for 5 days later. Upon transfer I'll begin progesterone therapy until at least the beta test 8-10 days later, longer if the test is positive.
IUI: about $1k/cycle IVF: $10k plus around $4k for medication FET: $4500 plus about $350 for medication
Dr. Scheiber is a huge proponent for eSET unless there is a strong medical reason to transfer more than one. His logic is technology has advanced to a point it's no longer necessary to transfer multiple to be successful and since a multiples pregnancy is riskier than a singleton he avoids recommending it if possible. At the end of the day though it's the patients decision, but he will make sure you have all the facts to make an informed choice.
West Chester
The nursing staff [at IRH-Cincinnati] always responded quickly when I called the office. I had a terrible time with my insurance and the specialty pharmacy it used to get my injections and the nursing staff handled it very well (even though I probably drove them nuts calling so much). I had to come in on several saturdays for IUIs and the staff was always friendly and welcoming. They never made me feel like an inconvenience.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was wonderfully decorated with big windows in the waiting room. The lab was right down the hall so we didn’t have to travel far to pick up our specimens. Almost every time I was there I was taken back early and never had to wait past my appointment.
Dr Awadalla was excellent. Our first first visit we were emotionally drained and frustrated. Dr Awadalla did an ultrasound and reviewed the tests from my OB and then took an hour to explain what was causing our infertility, answered our questions, and formed a plan to help get us pregnant. He was easy to talk to and really made us feel at ease and hopeful. Every time I went in for an IUI it was like he knew exactly how I was feeling and knew what to say to make us confident to continue treatments. He even called me on my cell phone once to help me to decide my next step in treatment. He is excellent!
The nursing staff always responded quickly when I called the office. I had a terrible time with my insurance and the specialty pharmacy it used to get my injections and the nursing staff handled it very well (even though I probably drove them nuts calling so much). I had to come in on several saturdays for IUIs and the staff was always friendly and welcoming. They never made me feel like an inconvenience.
Dr Awadalla was compassionate, easy to talk to, thorough in his explanations, so easy going he made us feel like there was no doubt we would get pregnant, and very knowledgeable. Every time we came in after a failed attempt we would review the statistics of the treatments, form a plan for the next cycle and he would hand write the exact dosages of medications I needed to take and when. He would also draw little cartoons/symbols indicating us getting pregnant at the end. He really helped keep our stress levels down while giving us all the facts we needed which is not an easy task. Even though I didn’t see him every visit I saw him most of the time. The other doctors and NP were also very good so I never felt uncomfortable having them do a treatment for me.
You are in the best place for getting pregnant. It’s an emotionally difficult journey (sometimes physically difficult), so going in make sure you ask questions. Dr Awadalla is very approachable and smart so knowing all the facts will help put you at ease a bit.
We tried a new treatment every three months until I got pregnant. It was explained to me that after three rounds of a treatment not working statistically my chances of getting pregnant with that treatment dramatically decreased. I started taking metformin daily to help counteract some of my hormones with PCOS. So first I did oral medication and IUI for three rounds, then Injections and orals for three months and got pregnant on the third round. We started with oral medication and IUI first because I had tried oral medication and timed intercourse for three months with no result with my OB. I also switched from clomid to femara with Dr Awadalla because I did not ovulate with my third round of clomid. Every time we did a cycle before I took my ovulation injection Dr Awadalla did an ultrasound to verify how many healthy eggs I had so I didn’t have too many or too little. That also helped him adjust my medication doses as needed. So after 6 IUIs 3 with orals and three with injections I got pregnant and now have twin boys:)
My insurance and my husbands insurance covered most of the cost.
We never had to do IVF.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Very nice facility [Institute for Reproductive Health]. Clean and comfortable. I always got a call back when calling with questions from for the staff. The clinic seems to be organized, overall and it was not overcrowded. I never had to wait too long. They also helped me to find my medications at the best possible price at that time...The nursing staff was overall very caring and more willing to spend time answering questions I had.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Very nice facility. Clean and comfortable. I always got a call back when calling with questions from for the staff. The clinic seems to be organized, overall and it was not overcrowded. I never had to wait too long. They also helped me to find my medications at the best possible price at that time.
When consulting with Dr. S via phone after my failed IVF cycle, I felt like he was not even looking at my chart. He mentioned uterine fibroids, when previously he mentioned my uterus looking perfect. I didn’t feel I was getting the individual treatment I was wanting at this moment when discussing this huge disappointment in my life.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Scheiber performed a laparoscopy on me and I was under his care for IUIs and IVF. He was very comforting at the time of surgery. He does explain things in a way that it is easy to understand. I did not like the fact that I barely saw him after my surgery. The majority of treatment was performed by his counter parts. I was surprised when I went in for my egg retrieval that he was not even there for that. I thought for sure I would see him then, and I was disappointed that no one informed me he would not be doing the procedure. I did not see him one time during my IVF cycle, and it was pretty much the same for the IUIs I had the year before. When consulting with him after the egg retrieval (failed cycle), I felt as though he offered generic advice and did not have my chart to look at. He offered no change in protocol when I asked about future treatment, which was discouraging.
Don’t expect to see him much.
I do not remember specifically the protocols that were used specifically for me. I used injectables for three IUI attempts (one was cancelled due to large follicle being on the side where I did not have a tube) and an IVF cycle. I will say that the protocol that was used and rationale behind it was not explained to me. Maybe I should’ve asked more questions, but I just followed directions. There was no explaining of ‘why’ they were doing things this particular way.
I do not remember specifically.
No comment
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strength: efficiency, high reported success rates Weaknesses: human compassion, personalization of treatment, making you feel like they have time for you Do your homework before you go
Other than passed tissues across a table and a few reassuring head nods, the doctors seemed to have minimal empathy for the pain and frustration associated with this invasive, frustrating, and traumatic process. My miscarriage was described (by another doctor at the clinic) as "disappointing." I'm sure it was disappointing for them and their statistics, but for me it was one of the saddest experiences of my life. Disappointing doesn't begin to cover it. There are also so many different nurses there that until IVF, I was just another patient. Once a nurse called me back and asked if my partner and I were having sex to increase our chances of IUI success. I'm a lesbian, so this wouldn't have helped. The nurse simply didn't think to open our chart before calling us...the first page would have told her that we're two women. The number of LGBT related microaggressions we experience is through the roof. We cross out mislabeled forms and correct their language on a regular basis. They also failed to manage my thyroid condition appropriately or advise me to seek treatment from an endocrinologist who could. This clinic has the best success rates in the area and switching at this point would cost us an additional thousand dollars at least, but I wish I had other options.
This is so mixed. There might be 50 nurses working there. The IVF nurses are mostly good (though the other day one contradicted the doctor so that was frustrating), and they are more professional and compassionate than the other staff. Other nurses have been rude, homophobic, incompetent, or unprofessional. One seriously offended me and then had the dr. apologize on her behalf instead of doing it on her own like an adult.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I answered this on an earlier question. On one foot, this experience has been very frustrating and sad in its own right but also additionally so because of issues at the fertility clinic. Dr. Scheiber himself has been the best out of the three doctors we've seen but is still only so so, and I wish it felt more like he cared about me as a person rather than a case.
Make sure you do your homework and ask lots of questions along the way. There are times when my treatment course was adjusted or explanations were corrected because of information I supplied as opposed to information that they offered.
5 natural iui at my request. 1 iui with femara (bad reaction). IVF #1 fresh transfer, 225 follistim, ganirelix, ovidrel. Eset. Pregnancy...missed miscarriage at 9 weeks. D&C. IVF #2 in progress, 225 follistim, 75 menopur, ganirelix, ovidrel. PGS (to reduce chance of additional miscarriage...at my request)
IVF with ICSI 9,600. IUI total about $1000 (x7).
I'm young (27) so he prefers eSET, and I had "success" with it once and we will probably do this again this cycle.
Cincinnati
I didn't like that you can never talk to a live person [at Institute for Reproductive Health] but they are very prompt about returning calls. I never had a bad experience with a nurse on the phone or in person...Strengths- Multiple locations, flexible hours, reasonable cost, good success and quality doctors and staff. All three doctors are great. Weaknesses- I didn't like when I was given an appointment to see the nurse practitioner (or felt like I was forced to see her) when I was told I was seeing one of the doctors. She, in my opinion, is very rough during examinations.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr. Scheiber and his staff have always been very warm and compassionate. When I had a chemical pregnancy he called me after I had had several conversations with the nursing staff. He had very kind words for me and gave me some peace in a very emotional situation.
I didn't like that you can never talk to a live person but they are very prompt about returning calls. I never had a bad experience with a nurse on the phone or in person.
He was extremely caring and always asked about our daughter when we saw him. He had a great sense of humor during the whole process (which was appreciated!) while being frank with us about the challenges we would face trying to conceive at our ages.
Trust him. He will be frank with you.
For my first pregnancy it took several rounds of Clomid before I ovulated. When I did finally ovulate I took Ovidril and he gave us the option to do IUI or not. We elected to do IUI (because we didn't know how long it would take before I would ovulate again) and I got pregnant. The second time around was not so easy. I had three IUIs (with Clomid and Ovidril) and had a negative result, a chemical pregnancy, a month off and a negative result before taking another month off to mentally regroup. After that month to regroup (and stop stressing about it!) I got pregnant on our fourth IUI (still with Clomid and Ovidril).
I think it was $475 for my first IUI in 2015 and $500 per IUI in 2016/2017.
Male Factor, Other
You must leave a message and wait for a call back [at Institute for Reproductive Health]. Inconvenient for me working In healthcare field as well. Billing/financial is helpful but not as helpful as I wish they would be when it comes to insurance benefit and helping me figure out what is best. Nursing staff is helpful. Catering to me when I need to lay down for bloodwork. Drs schedules are hard to work with if you only want to see one doctor! Need to be flexible but everyone has been great!
Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
You cannot speak to someone directly. You must leave a message and wait for a call back. Inconvenient for me working In healthcare field as well. Billing/financial is helpful but not as helpful as I wish they would be when it comes to insurance benefit and helping me figure out what is best. Nursing staff is helpful. Catering to me when I need to lay down for bloodwork. Drs schedules are hard to work with if you only want to see one doctor! Need to be flexible but everyone has been great!
Dr. Scheiber was always very welcoming, accepting, and comforting. He spoke to both myself and my husband frequently in the office. He cared & answered all of my questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Jacquie )
Nursing staff is great! They're helpful, but hard to get ahold of. We have to leave a message every time we have a question. We request they return a call between certain times and they do their best with that. A trend we have seen is they tend to return calls around 3:45-4:00 pm which is inconvenient because they don't return calls after 4. So if you miss the call between 3:45-4:00 you have to wait until the next day.
We enjoy seeing Dr Scheiber. He cares for us and answers our questions. We have been with him from October 2016-current. We had done a lot of leg work in the beginning of treatment so he was ready to get started with us as soon as we arrived. We had all of our info in place and were just as eager to get started with treatment! We wish we were able to see him each time we went but there are 3 locations and 3 doctors. We have had to be flexible.
You will not see Dr Scheiber at every appointment. All of the doctors in the practice have different bedside manners and some are way different than others! I was shocked! He is a very smart man, & I believe has the best interest in all of his patients.
IUI with Femara days 3-7, once IUI was complete we had intercourse that evening and the next day - negative Another semen analysis was completed and nothing had changed since husband changed diet and started Clomid. IVF - BCP, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirilex, & HCG trigger - egg retrieval while under conscious sedation. ICSI performed, 5 day transfer of one blastocyst rated perfect. Started endometrin -negative test at 10dp5dt. Beginning 1st FET - Estradiol & baby aspirin day 1-day20. Day 14 ultrasound and will start endometrin at that time. Day 20 thaw and transfer of hopefully two blasts.
IUI - $350ish IVF w/ ICSI - $20,000 billed to insurance. Roughly $11,000 if self pay. Meds were ordered through online pharmacy at $3,000 FET - $8,000 billed to insurance, $4500 if Self pay
Drs only wanted to transfer 1 embryo first cycle. We were disappointed as we wanted to transfer two. We were told it would only increase chances by 2%. We "had great odds with my age & the rating of our embryo". Resulted in negative pregnancy test. We are pushing for 2 embryos transferred this time. We had a lot of pushback transferring two the first round and was talked down upon when we asked about transferring two from another dr within the practice.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I am a nurse, but being a patient is totally different. The nurses there [at Institute for Reproductive Health] are sweet and always considerate of your feelings. They know what to say when your feeling nervous and overwhelmed. Very comforting... I really can't speak about any weaknesses, other than maybe billing. They submitted some things to my insurance and I'm a self pay patient, my insurance covers nothing for infertility.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I really can't speak about any weaknesses, other than maybe billing. They submitted some things to my insurance and I'm a self pay patient, my insurance covers nothing for infertility. They have GREAT success with IVF so that's why I chose to go there!
He has a wonderful bedside manner, he also really cares about his patients and even when things don't go the way I wanted he called me to answer my questions and to genuinely check on me.
I am a nurse, but being a patient is totally different. The nurses there are sweet and always considerate of your feelings. They know what to say when your feeling nervous and overwhelmed. Very comforting
Again he was really compassionate and he also was very truthful from the start and took his time with us and answered all of our questions. He's awesome! He was the doctor that I saw every visit during my first IVF round, only one time during that 1st round I had to see one of his partners (it was a holiday weekend), but he told me that I was going to have to see one of his partners, so I was prepared and I was ok with that.
Come prepared to answer some questions from him and know that he is ok with you having a voice in your treatment!
I was on birth control for 22 days, started a period and the started follistim, then added menopure, and ganarellix. Then eventually a Hcg shot and progesterone vaginal suppositories. I can't exactly remember how many days of the follistim, I think it was 12, I remember I had to increase 1 time and then had to order more of it and the menopure. My egg retrevial was intense, I was hyperstimed and he retrieved 21 eggs and I was put on some medication to help with my HSS. Out of the 21 eggs we had 5, 5 day embryos. We transferred 1 and froze the other 4. BFN on day 14, post transfer, I also started my period that day. I'm currently waiting to test, I will on Thursday, we used 2 frozen embryos on Friday March 24th. I don't think I am pregnant though.
IRH has the best price for IVF in the area.
I told him whatever he thought was best I trust him and that's why I travel over an hour to see him.
2014 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
New patient is a bit of a wait and you need to be aggressive and direct about what you want....I think the only weakness could be they [Inst for Repro Health] are so busy at this clinic the office phone is always a call back but other than that they do call back...The clinic is great at what they do if your specific provider isn't available the other two will see you as well and are just as good....They will call you back to get an appt by the end of the day that you call....
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
He gave me a grant to do another frozen transfer with our last two embryos we have. But we and he feels the fresh cycle is going to give us the best result. We cannot afford another Ivf fresh cycle at this time though.
They are all great as well. I think the only weakness could be they are so busy at this clinic the office phone is always a call back but other than that they do call back
The clinic is great at what they do if your specific provider isn't available the other two will see you as well and are just as good. Dr. Schieber saw me as well and did the transfer for two cycles I had. I love all the providers there. Dr. Awadalla has a great bedside manner and is very compassionate to my situation that is why I prefer him. But I do see other providers there as well. He is very detailed and is not pushy. I wouldn't choose another clinic to do Ivf.
Be direct with what care you want and they will do their best to make it happen.
I did 4 iuis before going to Ivf. I did 2 previous iui I believe with another provider and clinic. We did the fresh cycle Ivf and it went very smoothly. I took femara. I did menapur injections along with Follistim. It was 2 years ago so I don't remember my exact doses but my charts would have all this information. I think I was going to have to icsi but then the egg and sperm were good so I didn't have to. We retrieved 7 eggs 5 of which were all day 5 embryos. One was transferred and resulted in my son. And 4 were frozen. We used 2 this past year and they did not take. I only have tubal blockage and endometriosis which makes me a good candidate for fresh cycle Ivf. The frozen I am not sure about how well since the last one didn't take. We cannot afford to use the last two yet. But would really like to do another fresh since this is more promising outcome
They will call you back to get an appt by the end of the day that you call. So prompted based on what they are dealing with
So far we have spent near 19,000
They do what is best based on history they will not transfer anymore than 2 at a time though
Cincinnati
I've always been pretty happy with the nurses there [Inst for Repro Health]. Usually if I call before for Mike the message says I get a call back. There have been a few times where I haven't gotten a call before four and it definitely is frustrating but they usually apologize and we go on with life...The main thing that I've only really been upset with them about is not calling in prescriptions and then have been once or twice but it all worked out
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
This is the second fertility doctor I've seen and they are by far the best that I've been to. A lot of family also has been patient of theirs and they've all been satisfied. It does give little overwhelming because people are going in and out and sometimes it feels a bit not like a doctors office because people are spending so much money. But once you become a patient and have to deal with your actual doctor you do get treated like they really do want what's best for you.
He's honest and seems to want the same outcome we want
I've always been pretty happy with the nurses there. Usually if I call before for Mike the message says I get a call back. There have been a few times where I haven't gotten a call before four and it definitely is frustrating but they usually apologize and we go on with life
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
He's hands on, takes the time to explain and waits for all my questions. At first I felt like just another patient but after our first loss he seemed more compassionate. Sometimes when I call the clinic he's the one that will call me back instead of the nurses and I appreciate that.
Don't be embarked to ask anything and everything.
If I remember correctly we don't really have any issues but Dr. Scheiber put his on our drill to increase our our number of follicles. He said it would probably take a few tries to work, but likely we got pregnant with the first two are you I cycles. And we even got pregnant with our fourth cycle. We had a third loss and that was the hardest and it was a situation that Dr. Scheiber had never dealt with as well. We all decided that a D&C would be the best option. He explained the risk.
We had fortunately insurance provider most of our coverage all we had to pay really was our $45 co-pay each cycle plus an eight dollar bill from the insurance so we're pretty blessed. These only cover are you why so anything after that we haven't done and I don't know how much they cost
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The nurses always called back promptly for all messages I left and knew my file/case....They [Institute for Reproductive Health] were very timely with their visits, which was so appreciated during the numerous visits requiring missing work, etc.... I rarely had to wait longer than 10 min in the lobby....The nurses were always efficient... I always recommend IRH and dr. A to others experiencing infertility...
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I never realized how efficient and timely IRH clinic was until under care at a new clinic now (closer to home). I traveled 3 hours round trip to IRH and I rarely had to wait longer than 10 min in the lobby. They were very timely with their visits, which was so appreciated during the numerous visits requiring missing work, etc. Aside from the distance from my home, I would go back to IRH in a heartbeat. I’m now trying for baby #2 and really struggled to decide whether I should use the new clinic 10 min from my home, or IRH which I trusted and had success. I always recommend IRH and dr. A to others experiencing infertility and wish I lived closer to Cincinnati.
Dr. A was very patient with us and always answered all our questions. He took my ideas, questions and suggestions into consideration rather than just ignoring me. During an unexplained infertility diagnosis, you feel like you have no control, but Dr. A did a great job of listening to us and our ideas, which made me feel like I gained back some control during our medical journey.
The nurses were always efficient, which I valued since I traveled three hours round trip to the doctor. The nurses always called back promptly for all messages I left and knew my file/case.
Dr. A made our dream of becoming parents come true. I am thankful for him everyday. Our journey with Dr. A was about a year and a half, which can is much longer than I had originally expected. However, he never lost hope in our case which helped me stay positive. He was always honest, straightforward and can be blunt, which I appreciate. When it came to our chances of conceiving, I appreciated honesty. There were many times I became frustrated with our unsuccessful results, but Dr. A was very good about setting a new plan and explaining the changes he would make from the last unsuccessful try. This was always helpful to me so I knew we weren’t just throwing money and time away while trying the same thing over and over. Dr. A was always very professional and is very experienced. He truly wants to see you conceive and does his best to make your dream successful.
Dr. A will be honest with your chance of success, so make sure you are ready to hear that. Also be sure you understand the medical plan and don’t be afraid to ask questions until you understand everything. Dr. A never rushed us and made sure we were on the same page for the plan moving forward.
Follistim with menopur on ivf #3 did the trick for me. The menopur was what really improved the quality of eggs retrieved.
I had wonderful infertility insurance, so each ivf cycle was approximately $1,000.
Dr. A always told us the quality and quantity of our embryos, gave his recommendation for quantity to transfer, but left the final decision up to us.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Knowing that they [IRH] are a large facility and it might be easy for patients to get lost in the shuffle, more emphasis should be placed on patient care...The communication is by far the worst part, there is no way to talk to anyone once you leave. You leave a voicemail and hope to get a call back. It took three days to get a returned call once and when I explained that my question was time-sensitive (like many questions are with infertility) the girl on the phone seemed very annoyed.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Knowing that they are a large facility and it might be easy for patients to get lost in the shuffle, more emphasis should be placed on patient care. Infertility is truly a nightmare and a lot of our visits were upsetting or made us extremely anxious. We didn't need our hands held but a little compassion can go a long way in times like that! The communication is by far the worst part, there is no way to talk to anyone once you leave. You leave a voicemail and hope to get a call back. It took three days to get a returned call once and when I explained that my question was time-sensitive (like many questions are with infertility) the girl on the phone seemed very annoyed.
The appointments felt rushed. He never spent more than a few minutes in the exam room with us and gave us only a small window for questions.
We met a LOT of different staff members at their offices, they are a large facility. None of them showed the compassion that we were hoping for and several were rude on the phone.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
We felt like we were on an assembly line at each visit, being passed from station to station with little compassion. The appointments were very short and not very thorough considering what we were (and still are) going through
Be ready with questions beforehand, you will not be able to reach anyone once you leave the office. Try to think of different scenarios that could happen during the exam and be prepared with your questions for each one.
We started with Femara and trigger injections. We eventually did an IUI using this method but nothing worked. He wanted to move forward with injectables but when we brought up the chances of having multiples he seemed to brush it off a little bit.
We paid out of pocket for almost everything including exams, ultrasounds and procedures. Part of my surgery for endometriosis was covered, but we still paid $4700 after the fact.
Cincinnati
The nursing staff [at Institute for Reproductive Health] were very quick to return phone calls and answer any questions we forgot to ask while in the office. They were also accommodating when I had a subchorionic hematoma and wanted to come in at 5 weeks pregnant to check on my baby. I even had a nurse take a medication home with her for me to pick up from her since I lived way too far away to get to the office before they closed. We had a very positive experience with the nurses.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
This practice has 3 different office locations in order to accommodate people from different areas. It was very nice to be able to visit the office in Northern KY for shorter appointments since we live in Louisville, KY. All offices were very clean and well kept. I have no complaints about the clinic.
Dr. Awadalla took his time with us at each appointment and we never felt rushed. He and Dr. Schieber were so understanding and patient with us. It was very much appreciated.
The nursing staff were very quick to return phone calls and answer any questions we forgot to ask while in the office. They were also accommodating when I had a subchorionic hematoma and wanted to come in at 5 weeks pregnant to check on my baby. I even had a nurse take a medication home with her for me to pick up from her since I lived way too far away to get to the office before they closed. We had a very positive experience with the nurses.
Dr. Awadalla was very patient and thorough in his explanations of what to expect with each procedure. We were never talked down to or made to feel ignorant. He seemed to genuinely understand the emotional toll infertility takes on you.
Don't be afraid to vocalize concerns, questions, etc.
My treatment was a year ago. I know I did quite a few days of injectable medications and had to add in an extra injectable closer to my egg retrieval.
We had office visit costs, lab work, and then the complete charge for the entire IVF procedure. Transferring our frozen embryo and freezing charge were additional.
Dr. Awadalla was only open to transferring more than one embryo for us if they were day 3 embryos. We did transfer 2 day 3 embryos and they were unsuccessful. We had one day 5 embryo make it to freeze and that perfect little embryo was born 4 months ago.
Cincinnati
IRH offers a money back program. I believe it was $18,000 which gave you 2 egg retrievals, 2 fresh cycles, and 2 frozen cycles. If at the end of all of that you have not had a live birth, they give you 70% (I believe) of your money back.... The office is incredibly organized! Your appointment will ALWAYS be right on time and every department of that office is very responsive to calls and questions. The nursing staff goes above and beyond and you will never leave the office feeling like you don't have a full understand of anything going on.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr. S had compassion, understood what my husband and I were going through, and refused to give up. He was determined to make our dreams come true and I felt I could ask him anything.
The nursing staff is one of the best I've had the pleasure of working with. They were kind, understanding, incredible at making you feel at ease, and are sympathetic to what you are going through. They are always available to answer any questions and happy to help.
After having been a patient of Dr. Scheiber, I could not imagine having any other doctor. My husband and I underwent 12 cycles of treatment (we switched to Dr. S after the 9th or 10th cycle - he only needed 2 cycles to get the job done), and once the issue was identified, he went head on in finding a solution. When one cycle failed, he got a little more aggressive in treatment and adjusted our plan until we conceived our daughter. He didn't speak to us like a doctor, he spoke to us like human beings. He was thorough, always made sure we understood what was going on, and most importantly, made me feel so absolutely confident. Our transfers with him were the smoothest embryo transfers compared to other doctors and I always knew that he was right on the money.
The only advice I can offer a prospective patient is to take the leap of faith! Dr. Scheiber will not let you down. Whether you get the outcome you dream of or not, you will always know he did everything he could.
Dr. Scheiber didn't become my primary until later in my journey, and my diagnosis of factor II had just been discovered, but the minute I came to him he switched my medicines up to target the issue. Our first transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy, so right away he made a few adjustments and the next cycle resulted in my daughter. I don't remember specifics, but I remember him being very vigilant in finding the right combination of medicine/injectibles.
Every time we did a transfer, we placed two embryos which I thought was perfect. Two was where he drew the line for me and I was very happy with that.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
This clinic [Cincinnati Fertility] is amazing. However, be forewarned that there are 3 locations that the doctors rotate through, so be prepared to switch between doctors. They will schedule you for who is available at the day and time you need an appointment. But it honestly didn't bother me at all because all of the doctors were absolutely amazing and caring....IVF standard - $8,200 IVF Money-back Guarantee - $18,000 (3 cycles) ICSI - $1,100 Embryo Cropreservation Initial - $200 Embryo Cryostorage Quarterly - $400
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
This clinic is amazing. However, be forewarned that there are 3 locations that the doctors rotate through, so be prepared to switch between doctors. They will schedule you for who is available at the day and time you need an appointment. But it honestly didn't bother me at all because all of the doctors were absolutely amazing and caring.
Our treatment was very personalized and he took the time to get to know us and our situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Sarah and Jackie)
They are all amazing and very, very willing to answer all questions. Feel free to call the nurses line and ask even the silliest questions!
Dr Burwinkel is amazing. Caring, compassionate, yet knows when to give you the hard truths. Plus, he looks at you as individuals and as a couple, not as a "diagnosis box". Each month the treatment is personalized.
Ask all the questions you want! Don't be scared that he needs to be in charge. He listens and respects all of your questions and knows when it's best to push back with his own experience and knowledge.
- 2.5mg Femara due to high AMH with timed intercourse, no luck (x3) - 2.5mg Femara with IUI, no luck (x1) - No injectible IUIs due to high AMH and significant chance of high multiples - IVF with low-dose gonal-f, Cetrotide, and Ovidrel for trigger... Nervous about OHSS so set the expectation to only retrieve first cycle, then FET next cycle. Didn't end up needing to because the dosage was perfect and no OHSS!
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
The location, at first, was a bit daunting to find [for IRH-Cincinnati]. But after we learned our way around and learned a few traffic tricks...we usually just made a day of it. There is a shopping center next door, several restaurants and a couple of nice hotels. We live 2 hours away and fighting with rush hour traffic was misery.... Meds were the most expensive, i think they were about 6 thousand. Our total cost was around 13 thousand. With hotel stays and time off work the process cost close to 18 thousand. All out of pocket. Our insurance does not cover treatment and due to advanced age we didnt qualify for most programs.
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The location, at first, was a bit daunting to find. But after we learned our way around and learned a few traffic tricks...we usually just made a day of it. There is a shopping center next door, several restaurants and a couple of nice hotels. We live 2 hours away and fighting with rush hour traffic was misery.
Very professional, answered all questions in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Always very caring and descrete. For such a large practice we still felt important.
Just felt very comfortable even in the most uncomfortable situations. Dr Burwinkle, and his associates were able to get us through a very trying time. Infertility is stressful. We had male factor infertility which was doubly hard on my husbands psyche. The fact we had trouble conceiving was devastating to him after he found out. They made the process bareable, and helped us overcome all of our hurdles.
Expect to cultivate patients...the ivf journey imparticular is long and tedious. The exact combination of medicines may take more than one cycle. We were lucky, but i read the book the clinic put out by Dr Awadalla to help prepare. Started a vitamin regimen to increase egg health and went on a diabetic diet to help control my pcos before we started.
I dont remember
They do, but due to my advanced maternal age it was decided one embryo tranfer might not be in our best interest. We opted for 2, Five day blastocyst transfers and placed the others on ice for future...we were blessed with a healthy baby boy after the first fresh transfer. And still have 2 frozen embys.
2013 - 2016
The wait time [at Institute for Reproductive Health] is usually under 10 minutes. They can schedule new patients within a few weeks. They were very flexible with my schedule. They are very kind and compassionate...They [nurses] were excellent! Always called me back within hours. Were very kind and compassionate to me. Also, very knowledgeable...I think our IUI's (including monitoring appointments and sperm collection) were around $800. This did not include medication, as my insurance fortunately covered those.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The wait time is usually under 10 minutes. They can schedule new patients within a few weeks. They were very flexible with my schedule. They are very kind and compassionate.
Dr Schieber was very kind and compassionate. When I had failed cycles he validated my sadness and then we came up with next steps together. And when we finally got pregnant he was very excited for us!
They were excellent! Always called me back within hours. Were very kind and compassionate to me. Also, very knowledgeable.
Dr Schieber is very kind and compassionate. He has a really good sense of humor which was helpful to us during this season of life. There was one day that he seemed really rushed (but that was not the norm so I'm not sure if something was going on in the clinic that day that he needed to get to...?). One thing that I needed to adjust to initially was he didn't really seem to think taking "natural routes" would really help much... I asked him if I should go on a gluten-free or fairy-free diet and he just kind of chuckled. He said I could if I wanted to, but didn't think it would make much difference. The doctor I had seen before him was very much an advocate of the natural route so I had to adjust to Dr Schiebers mindset.
Go see him sooner than later!
For my first child we did IUI with injectibles (follistim) 3 times. And the 3rd time worked! I wasnted to move onto IVF after the second cycle failed but Dr Sheiber encouraged me to do 3 cycles before moving on. I'm so glad he did. I was also on progesterone starting in the latter half on my cycle and when I had a positive pregnancy test I was kept on it for 10-12 weeks. We started with this protocol because with my first Dr I had done 8 rounds with Femara/Progesterone and al had failed. I had also done an HCG and had a laparoscopy with my previous Dr and was diagnosed with stage 2 endometriosis. With my second child we also did injectibles (Global-F) and IUI twice. The second one resulted in a positive pregnancy test. I was also on Progesterone until week 10 of pregnancy.
2013 - 2016
IRH has awesome positivity and support! The only downfall I experienced was their phone system, it's automated and you must leave a voicemail and then wait for them to call back. I was a little impatient to wait for a response from them while in cycles....The nursing staff were always friendly, informative, and compassionate whether we had a negative or positive cycle....we were happy and successful with 2 different pregnancies under Dr. Scheiber's care.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
He talked to me like I was a friend, a person with feelings.
Dr. Scheiber was a blessing to us, he always had our best interest at heart and always made sure we weren't wasting time or money on treatments. We were always on top of how cycles went and how to move forward for future cycles. He was always compassionate, caring, and a kind person. I always felt comfortable under his care, and he always helped me have a positive outlook. I would and have recommended him to anyone that needs to see a Reproductive Endocrinologist. I am forever grateful for his care and helping us to achieve a family.
Trust him, and his plan for you! He knows what he's doing.
After years of trying to conceive and complaining to my gynecologist, I knew something was wrong. I found a new Gynecologist and we started cloned right away (4 cycles) all were negative so we were referred to see Dr. Scheiber at IRH. A huge blessing!!! Dr Scheiber jumped right into treatment cycles- IUI with femara and ovidrel for trigger. He monitored me with bloodwork and ultrasounds before the actual IUI, and although it always took my body at least 4 cycles, we were happy and successful with 2 different pregnancies under Dr. Scheiber's care.
Cincinnati
I absolutely loved every appointment there [at Cincinnati Fertility]. He [Dr Sherif Awadalla] always took the time to explain anything I didn't understand an d address any concerns I had. Our next plan of action was always in place when we left after a failed cycle. He's a very compassionate man and always gives us hope.We have NO infertility coverage. IUI's generally cost us $2500, the biggest expense being medicines. Our IVF plan is a money-back grantee. We paid $17,500 (plus the cost of meds) We get 3 fresh cycles and 3 frozen cycles. If we do not have a live birth we get 70% of our money back.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
They are very knowledgeable about treatment plans and helping you find out what works best to achieve success.
He was VERY compassionate and reassuring at every appointment.
Amazing, compassionate, the best ever! I loved working with them. They truly care about you and are more than eager to help you with any problem.
I absolutely loved every appointment there. He always took the time to explain anything I didn't understand an d address any concerns I had. Our next plan of action was always in place when we left after a failed cycle. He's a very compassionate man and always gives us hope.
He's a very compassionate man. His plan of action were more aggressive than my previous doctor. I feel he is very knowledgeable in the infertility field and will do everything in your best interest to help you conceive.
We did 5 IUI's with Follistim and ovidrel trigger. After no luck, we decided that IVF would be our best option. Our first IVF cycle was cancelled due to over stimulation. I have PCOS and over stim very quickly. He monitored me closely for three days and decided it would be best to cancel the cycle to avoid OHSS. With our 2nd cycle he reduced my follistim, my does range anywhere from 175IU to 225IU. He also worked with pharmacy companies to get me discounts on the med and samples to save me some money on our next cycle. It's hard to find a happy medium with my condition. We retrieved 17 eggs, 13 fertilized and 10 made it to freeze. We decided that it was best to freeze all of our eggs and do a FET, to prevent pregnancy induced OHSS. Our first transfer (1 embryo) resulted in a miscarriage at 5 1/2 weeks. We are currently in our TWW with our 2nd transfer (2 embryos).
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Make sure to ask questions [when you go to the Institute for Reproductive Health-Cincinnati]. Don’t be afraid to advocate for yourself if you feel like you are being treated like a number. Ask them for resources for paying for procedures if you don’t have health insurance that covers procedures and medications. The staff was very helpful with that.... During an IUI procedure, my husband couldn’t be at my portion of the procedure. I had been in a lot of pain and the doctor doing the procedure that day was not very kind. I was crying and he sat back and said “I’ll wait until you’re calm”. The nurse in the room stepped up and talked to me, held my hand, and encouraged the doctor to be more gentle.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Make sure to ask questions. Don’t be afraid to advocate for yourself if you feel like you are being treated like a number. Ask them for resources for paying for procedures if you don’t have health insurance that covers procedures and medications. The staff was very helpful with that.
Appointments were always rushed and very rarely even with him.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Upon meeting with him, I was hopeful. He seemed like he would be able to help us and would get to the bottom of our problem. I had the test done to make sure my tubes were clear and was given the “all clear” to start IUI’s. We had 4 failed cycles and met with him again to discuss what we thought would be the next step (IVF). He then informed me that the reason the IUI’s failed was most likely because I had a blockage in one Fallopian tube and the other was “crooked”. I couldn’t believe that he allowed us to do so many cycles without telling me that information and even allowed us to do IUI’s knowing it probably wouldn’t work. He then suggested surgery to repair my tubes and explore if there were any other issues. I was broken, desperate, but hopeful so went ahead with the surgery. Following recovery, he was adement that we needed to start doing IUI’s right away but at the point my body needed a break and all trust with him was gone. I felt like he was just taking money from us without any regard to the fact that we were human beings. I should also add that my body just didn’t respond well to the follicle stimulating medication he chose to use for me. I expressed my concern to another doctor in the practice during a visit, that my joints were aching and I felt so run down that I could barely get through the day. His response was “Hm, have you gotten a new pair of shoes recently?”. It turns out that is an although uncommon, serious side effect of the medication. We left his practice and took a break before finding a new doctor where we had success after one IVF cycle.
Ask questions. Reach out to other resources for information and be educated in the questions that you should be asking.
Cincinnati
This clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] has very positive attitudes and compassion in what they do. They let it be known that they want to help you achieve your miracle. They are there for you every step of the process. They also offer a support group which is very helpful during the time of treatments. I can’t say enough about this clinic. It’s outstanding!... Nurses were very helpful, they returned calls pretty quickly and answered questions if they knew the answers. They were there to help you and cheer you on.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
This clinic has very positive attitudes and compassion in what they do. They let it be known that they want to help you achieve your miracle. They are there for you every step of the process. They also offer a support group which is very helpful during the time of treatments. I can’t say enough about this clinic. It’s outstanding!
He was very knowledgeable in explaining the procedure and very optimistic in what he was doing.
Dr. Awadalla is very good at what he does. He is very knowledgeable and knows what best in your interest. He was never hesitant and was very reassuring to me and the procedure. He was very optimistic and never once was doubtful. If someone is looking for a dr that has bed side manners, knowledgeable, and a expertise in fertility he would be the one to see.
He will not let you down. He will help you in every way he can and explain everything along the way. He has a very positive attitude and very caring in what he does. If you want to be in very good hand and achieve your miracles I would give Dr. Awadalla a call.
I had hormone injections for a couple weeks for egg retrieval then waited five days and had the embryo transfer, couple weeks later I had a blood test for pregnancy and it was positive. I had two ultrasounds with Dr. Awadalla to make sure baby was growing and doing well and after that he released me to my ob/gyn.
I done a fresh ivf cycle which was around 8,000 and then around 3,000 for medicine/injections.
They were very persistent in only transferring one strong embryo.
Cincinnati
The nurses at IRH are caring, compassionate and extremely knowledgeable. They always answered my questions clearly and made sure I understood each step along the way. The only weakness is the phone answering system. You always have to leave a message and have your phone call returned.... I participated in the money-back IVF program. It was $17,900 for up to three fresh cycles and three frozen cycles. If treatment didn't result in a live birth, I would have received a 70% refund. My medications were an additional expense. I believe I spent about $1800 on medications for my first cycle and $2200 for my second cycle.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
One of IRH's greatest strengths is the free support group they offer patients. They offer a Ladies Night In one evening a month with yoga, a light supper and group support, and they also have a very active private Facebook group. I found the support from other patients so helpful during my treatment. IRH's website is also excellent. It provides so much information about infertility, the treatment options they offer, their success rates, and the cost of treatment. Really, the only weakness I can think of is the IVF nurse phone answering system (not being able to reach anyone directly and always having to have your phone calls returned).
Dr. Awadalla, his partners and the nurses in his practice are kind, compassionate professionals. I felt like they really cared about me and were just as upset when our first IVF cycle failed and just as happy when our second succeeded!
The nurses at IRH are caring, compassionate and extremely knowledgeable. They always answered my questions clearly and made sure I understood each step along the way. The only weakness is the phone answering system. You always have to leave a message and have your phone call returned. I was working full time during my treatments, and I didn't have a private office, so it was sometimes stressful to have to take unplanned return phone calls during the work day.
Dr. Awadalla is an extremely knowledgeable and candid doctor. I felt like he took my treatments very seriously and carefully assessed our issues when planning our IVF cycles. I think he was genuinely surprised and disappointed when the first fresh cycle failed, and he made adjustments to our treatment for the second cycle, which resulted in the birth of our son. He does treat a lot of patients and is very busy, so I didn't always feel that I was able to ask him all of my questions (I often have a lot of questions!), but he also has a knowledgeable staff who were able to pick up the slack in that area.
Prioritize your questions before your appointments to make sure you get to the most pressing ones.
For my first cycle (which was unsuccessful), I used birth control to start, then I stimmed with Follistim, then added Cetrotide and triggered with Ovidrel. For my second cycle (which as successful), I used the same medications with the addition of Menopur during the stimming period.
My health insurance covered my initial consultation and diagnostic tests, but all of my treatment costs were out of pocket. I participated in the money-back IVF program. It was $17,900 for up to three fresh cycles and three frozen cycles. If treatment didn't result in a live birth, I would have received a 70% refund. My medications were an additional expense. I believe I spent about $1800 on medications for my first cycle and $2200 for my second cycle.
At my initial consultation, Dr. Awadalla specifically said that he preferred single transfers when possible and that he didn't see multiples as a preferred outcome. However, he did recommend transferring two embryos for both of my cycles, and we followed his advice.
2013 - 2015
I didn't like that I always had to leave a message that nurses didn't answer the line once during my treatment. They [the staff at Cincinnati Fertility] did however always return calls the same day if message was before 4pm. That is my only con. Everything else was great. I especially loved the peer support group they offer that meets once a month. I made great friends there and I'm pregnant with 3 of them now!...He [Dr Burwinkel] was always very personable and would engage in conversation about things other than our fertility. He spoke of his family and we spoke about ours and even joked about politics during embryo transfer. Very warm and friendly.
2013 - 2015
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I didn't like that I always had to leave a message that nurses didn't answer the line once during my treatment. They did however always return calls the same day if message was before 4pm. That is my only con. Everything else was great. I especially loved the peer support group they offer that meets once a month. I made great friends there and I'm pregnant with 3 of them now!
He was always very personable and would engage in conversation about things other than our fertility. He spoke of his family and we spoke about ours and even joked about politics during embryo transfer. Very warm and friendly.
They are all very nice and seem committed to helping you understand everything and are pulling for you to succeed.
He was my primary dr saw I saw him a lot and was never unhappy with any interaction with him. He's a very kind man and even printed me ultrasound pictures of my follicles when I asked him to. He always gave me a great hug the day I graduated at 8 weeks pregnant and posed for a picture with my husband and I.
Be a partner in the process. Do research and ask questions so you can make decisions with your dr.
We started with IUI with clomid since I'd had ovulation success with that drug with my ob. When that didn't work we moved to femara with IUI. That also failed so he added gonal-F. I agreed to try that twice before moving to IVF. Both those cycles failed and we got started with IVF. Since I have pcos and high AMH he didn't use a high does and monitored me closely.
We spent about $8K on IUI procedures. We we in the money back program and paid about $20K for that including ICSI and then $500 for freezing our embryos.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Around $300 per IUI + $100 for Ovidrel, so around $400 each time [at Institute for Reproductive Health]. I was on a payment plan and did not know that each procedure was meant to be paid for up front, until we started talking about IVF and they said it had to all be paid in full. I asked why I was able to pay by month and they said that mine was a "unique situation", which I'm unsure of why since I never discussed my finances with them.
Other, Prefer not to answer
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic itself wasn't too bad. The one in Hyde Park was always clean and very open and welcoming. The lady at the front desk always greeted me but that was about the extent of it. I never usually had to wait too long to be seen, either.
I did not see Dr. Burwinkel for very long. It was my first experience with a fertility doctor. I felt like they cared, however, just wanted to get me in and out and made the decision for me, rather than listening to what we wanted or were concerned about. Hard to get a hold of them too. Always had to leave a message and wait for them to call back. Never got anyone to directly answer, which is very annoying.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Kristi, I think.)
She gave me her email and responded to all of my crazy questions via email, which was good for me being a first timer and being really freaked out.
Dr. B is very "dry" meaning, he doesn't show much emotion and is very monotone. Which might be just what some people need. My very first experience with an RE, I was obviously very nervous and had no idea what to even think. I did not feel much compassion/care from him. More as if he was like, ok the goal is to get you pregnant, so let's do this and we'll start tomorrow. Didn't give us much time to think or breathe or process what was being said.
Just be prepared to advocate for yourself. Dr. B will listen to you and even if it seems like he's not, he is. He is a good person and a good doctor, just not the right fit for us. Be prepared to not be coddled with him. He'll tell you what needs done and move on. Which may be ok for some, it was not a good fit for me. I needed more compassion and bedside manner.
We did 3 IUIs. Started on Femara and then had an Ovidrel trigger shot and that was it.
Around $300 per IUI + $100 for Ovidrel, so around $400 each time. I was on a payment plan and did not know that each procedure was meant to be paid for up front, until we started talking about IVF and they said it had to all be paid in full. I asked why I was able to pay by month and they said that mine was a "unique situation", which I'm unsure of why since I never discussed my finances with them.
N/A Did not do IVF with this doctor.
2012 - 2015
8 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
I could go [for monitoring at Institute for Reproductive Health] when most convienant for me...Our money back Ivf program was around 20,000. Our split DE cycle was 12,500...Strengths would be knowledge and success. Weakness would be waiting for calls back when calling for a question. I understand they are extremely busy and not sure of a different solution though...Penny wasnt always my primary nurse but she took it upon herself to always help me or answer any questions when I was there. She was amazing!
2012 - 2015
8 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
He was determined to find the reason for my infertility and failed cycles. He said to me once that my case was 99 percent more difficult than most, but he was gonna solve it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Penny)
Dr. Awadalla was a very thorough and compassionate doctor. Even though we tried many many cycles, he never made me feel like I was a science experiment. He never wanted to put me through a retrieval he felt would fail, and even though the devastation of failed cycle over and over was very difficult, It was better than going through with a cycle that just wasnt going to work.
Trust him and his plan. Even when you may question his reasoning, and when things get difficult he knows what hes doing such as cancelled cycles.
We started with iui and femara. Then iui with injectables. Went on to IVF and my first two cycles were cancelled. We removed birth control before stimulation and my third cycle made it to retrieval and ended in a chemical pregnancy. We did 5 more cycles after, 1 of which made it to retrieval before realizing my body just didnt respond well on any protocol even those that had made it to retrieval before.
I could go when most convienant for me. Even though it was a 1.5 hour one way trip I was able to go first thing and make it back in time for work at 10AM.
Our money back Ivf program was around 20,000. Our split DE cycle was 12,500.
When the embryo quality was not great he was fine with multiple embryo transfer. However during my DE cycle where the embryo quality was GREAT, they strongly suggested only transfering one.
Cincinnati
I feel that the clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] overall is very suited to handle people with multiple conditions. They even took care of us in a snowstorm, reassuring us that everyone would be there to assist us in our needs.... It is never easy to break sad news to someone, however I felt that the nursing staff showed compassion.... I felt that he [Dr. Awadalla] was focused on getting me in and out.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I feel that the clinic overall is very suited to handle people with multiple conditions. They even took care of us in a snowstorm, reassuring us that everyone would be there to assist us in our needs.
I had done extensive research on my condition, and it seemed that my treatment was not even close to theirs. Some people had multiple egg size ultrasounds to watch egg growth, this used to determine egg quality. where I only had one.
I felt that he was focused on getting me in and out. He was recommended by a close friend, so I trusted their choice/experiences. I believe there was more that could have been done with my treatment. He seemed to be knowledgeable about the condition, but didn't seem to like ideas of natural supplements. Seemed to push drugs like metformin as a cure.
If you're a patient suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome, I would make sure that you were aware of treatment options for you before visiting. Both natural And with medicine. Also understand what the common practices are for fertility treatments for someone with PCOS.
First three cycles of treatment we used only Clomid and timed intimacy. After that we did two rounds of Clomid and injections for timed IUIs. After the Clomid didn't produced quality egg sizes we switched to a different fertility medication. Sorry I cannot remember which one. We continued the IUIs for five cycles. All resulted in larger egg sizes, but no successful takes.
Cincinnati
Heather [nurse] is an outstanding, compassionate, delightful, warm, personable nurse who made us feel welcome the very first day of our appointment at Institute for Reproductive Health...One of the best strengths they have is that the team of Drs. and staff work cohesively and show some of the best bedside manner I have ever seen. I would also like to add that they are very patient with you when it comes to the payment process...It was $16,500 for the IVF... $100 added quarterly for embryo storage. It was between $1000 to $1,500 for medications.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
In terms of weaknesses, I would say the location may be an issue if you are located further away from the Montgomery/Cincinnati area. The cost of IVF is costly enough, but if there was a way for all states to mandate coverage then this would be a benefit to all people out there suffering with infertility. I also think they should have a room set up with a day-care. We found it difficult to find someone to watch our daughter on a Saturday morning to get our first IVF cycle achieved. We ended up taking our daughter with us and my husband went in first while I waited in the car, then I went in. I wanted him to be in the room with me during the retrieval process. One of the best strengths they have is that the team of Drs. and staff work cohesively and show some of the best bedside manner I have ever seen. I would also like to add that they are very patient with you when it comes to the payment process.
I always felt my questions and concerns were answered and that I was in a place where the right people were there to help me continue to build my family.
Heather is an outstanding, compassionate, delightful, warm, personable nurse who made us feel welcome the very first day of our appointment at Institute for Reproductive Health. She immediately introduced herself and waved to us as we were backing out of the parking lot. I had concerns about reasons we were not conceiving this time around she said,"there is no reason based on your medical history IVF should not work because the infertility issue is mechanical." I secretly tested using Clear Blue Easy and told no one not even my husband of the results. The day I had my blood drawn to test my BETA levels, I requested she called me with the results. She called me back with a congratulations. She is literally one of the best nurses I have ever encountered and when we go back we'll definitely request to work with her.
Right off the bat, Dr, Awadalla and his staff at Institution for Reproductive Health, made us feel welcome and that we mattered. At every appointment if we had concerns about our failed IUI cycles, we were not pushed away or treated as just another infertile couple, but as people with valid issues that needed to be resolved. We suggested moving onto IVF and a staff member said. "we need to step up our game." I had reservations about my IVF cycle due to the number of eggs retrieved and he reassured me that IVF is not a numbers game but a way to get you there. Dr. Awadalla said, "it's not about the number of eggs we retrieve, but about getting pregnant now." Dr. Awadalla has one of the best bedside manners I have ever seen. He is funny, insightful and brilliant! If we had not of switched over to Institute for Reproductive Health when we did, we not have conceived our beautiful daughter and had the pleasure of knowing such a wonderful Dr and staff. Thank You a million times! Looking forward to going back in the near future.
Laughter is the best medicine during a trying time such as infertility no matter the cause. Dr. Awadalla definitely eases the burden this painful issue through joking. My advice, be cautiously optimistic because if you do not laugh you will cry. You can put your faith in Dr. Awadalla because he will help you through your journey.
No Birth Control. Start Lupron 10 QD (Sub Q) in PM on Cycle Day 21, CD 32 appointment for blood work and follicle check, continue with Lupron 10 adding Gonal F 150 AQ (Sub Q) in AM on Cycle Day 33. CD 37 another blood work appointment with follicle check. Continue with Gonal F 150 for a total of 10 days from Cycle day 33-43. On CD 41alst blood work up with follicle check. On cycle day 43 Trigger with Ovidrel 250 in PM. CD 44 No Shots. CD 46 - Egg Retrieval Day! 11 retrieved, 5 matured, 5 fertilized. No ICSI, Natural Fertilization. Start Endometrin 100 mgs 3x's per day on CD 47. CD 51 Embryo Transfer of two blastocyst. Two week wait continue with Endometrin. On 12dp5dt beta test results revealed Positive. On 13dp5dt start Endometrin 100 mgs 2x's per day. At 6 weeks of pregnancy attend first ultrasound.
It was $16,500 for the IVF but with insurance it came out to be $1,250 with $100 added quarterly for embryo storage. It was between $1000 to $1,500 for medications.
2012
I went to both the Northern Ky and Cincinnati offices (mostly Cincinnati) [of IRH] they were both very clean and everyone was very nice. Always willing to explain or answer any questions we had. On the day of the egg retrieval and sperm donation, somehow my husbands appointment did not get put on the schedule! We were understanding since everyone makes mistakes but we also were concerned that he wouldn't be able to do. The staff assured us that they would handle everything and they did. Things went on smoothly and all was well!
2012
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I went to both the Northern Ky and Cincinnati offices (mostly Cincinnati) they were both very clean and everyone was very nice. Always willing to explain or answer any questions we had. On the day of the egg retrieval and sperm donation, somehow my husbands appointment did not get put on the schedule! We were understanding since everyone makes mistakes but we also were concerned that he wouldn't be able to do. The staff assured us that they would handle everything and they did. Things went on smoothly and all was well!
When I came to Dr Awadalla I was in a bad place since I had recently experienced 2 failed IVF attempts. I was convinced I would never have children. The first time we met I said something about "if I have a baby" and he said "No, Mrs. K****, when we have a baby". He made me feel like I was his only patient every appointment. He never rushed me, always took extra time and answered all my questions. So very thankful I had the opportunity to be his patient!
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
My course of treatment went pretty smoothly until after the egg retrieval. That night I was in horrible abdominal pain and could not stand up. It was after hours and I called the emergency line. He immediately called me himself and explained what he thought was happening and asked me to come in the next morning. I drove in from Louisville and sure enough it was what he thought. I had so many eggs removed and the sacs had filled with fluid causing a great deal of pressure. He said if the swelling did not go down we would not be able to the transfer as planned and would have to freeze the embryos. I was devastated to say the least. He asked me to come back in 2 days to re-examine and see how things looked. When I returned he said I looked great and we could go ahead with the transfer, yippee!!! Several weeks later we received a call that we were in fact pregnant, I could not believe it. When we returned back to the office for an ultrasound he said "Well the good news is there is only 2!" I had always imagined myself with twins and thanks to Dr. Awadalla, my dreams were becoming a reality!
For me, the biggest reason we did not see him sooner was location. I am in Louisville and the thought of driving to Cincinnati for all those appointments seemed a little crazy. After 2 unsuccessful IVF attempts with a local Dr, I made the consultation and we drove up. After our first meeting I could have kicked myself for not having seen him sooner. He is the best!
They were high, but not any higher than what we had already paid at a local office.
Cincinnati
A patient must abide by their set schedule (on the weekends), despite what their body is doing. I do believe this negatively affected my outcomes.....I dealt with the nurses more often. A different doctor performed my second transfer....[Nursing Staff] Very helpful, but they aren’t in charge....I felt like a number. Nothing was scheduled according to what my body was doing.... I was over promised on service, and they under delivered.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
A patient must abide by their set schedule (on the weekends), despite what their body is doing. I do believe this negatively affected my outcomes. Make sure you are aware of your options, and if this doctor won’t help you pursue them, seek help elsewhere.
I dealt with the nurses more often. A different doctor performed my second transfer, and I was not made aware of it until the day before. When I was going through IUI, I was informed a NP would be performing the procedure two days before. I didn’t feel like I had an option in any of my attempts.
Very helpful, but they aren’t in charge. Don’t shoot the messenger.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I felt like a number. Nothing was scheduled according to what my body was doing. It was all according to their set schedule for retrieval & transfer. Also, all embryos were transferred on day 3. After speaking with other endocrinologists, I learned this was too early. No pregnancies.
??
I requested gonadotropin injections with my IUI, but Dr. Awadalla wouldn’t even consider it. Considering my diagnosis of a diminished ovaryreserve, one would think gonadotropin injections would be standard. No resulting pregnancy.
I had a very generous insurance plan, covering 2 complete rounds of IVF. I think this is a reason Dr. Awadalla over promised, as he knew he would be paid full price by my insurance company.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Strengths: the lab [Institute for Reproductive Health] accepts frozen donor eggs, the nurses are very friendly and compassionate, it's conveniently located. Cons: I don't like the Dr.'s as much as the doctors at my previous clinic and their phone menu is long and confusing when you call in.... The only "failure" I had on the nurses part was that I was waiting for the results of my beta, and I had to call at the end of the day to get the results. The nurse who called back said that she was sorry that she had not called earlier with the results. Also, the bedside manner of Dr. Burwinkel is not as good as the Dr's at my old clinic.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strengths: the lab accepts frozen donor eggs, the nurses are very friendly and compassionate, it's conveniently located. Cons: I don't like the Dr.'s as much as the doctors at my previous clinic and their phone menu is long and confusing when you call in.
Dr. Burwinkle is friendly and knowledgeable, but he also seems to be in a hurry, so when I ask questions I feel he is rushed.
The nurses here are great, just as friendly and helpful.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Burwinkel is friendly, but not as attentive as I would like. Dr. Burwinkel did my first DE transfer and explained what he was doing as he did it, but then I had some questions (as I was laying on the table) and he seemed in a hurry to get out of there. Just not as warm bedside manner as I experienced in the past at my previous clinic.
Make sure you ask lots of questions, because you may not see him every visit. Make sure you have a clear understanding of where you are in your cycle and what comes next.
My first DE cycle (negative, currently on FET cycle). E2 3x a day and Prometrium 3x a day plus a low dose aspirin 1x a day. Dr. Burwinkel never explained to me the rationale. It was the nurses who gave me my treatment plan.
My insurance covers some of the cost, and all of my claims are still currently pending, so I am not sure what I will need to pay out of pocket. One donor egg cycle is 16K, but I will be billed a reduced amount.
We only had two blasts from our first cohort of eggs, so we implanted one and froze the other. I recall telling the nurse that I only wanted one implanted, and she said that she will note that on my chart. So, I'm not sure how they feel about implanting two.
Cincinnati
The Clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] is great. The KY office is very small and is where I’ve spent most of my time. The downtown Cinci location is super nice. I think the staff and doctors are great and I highly recommend them.... I did have one nurse be snarky over giving me a sample of follistim over someone else. It was extremely awkward and I had to go way out of my way to get my medication. Sucked. Overall they’re great.... in my first cycle between the medications, ultrasounds, bloodwork and the IUI I’ve spent about $2,000.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The Clinic is great. The KY office is very small and is where I’ve spent most of my time. The downtown Cinci location is super nice. I think the staff and doctors are great and I highly recommend them.
Very friendly. Funny. Made me feel very comfortable yet informed.
Overall they’ve been great. I did have one nurse be snarky over giving me a sample of follistim over someone else. It was extremely awkward and I had to go way out of my way to get my medication. Sucked. Overall they’re great.
Very highly recommend. I would recommend him to anyone. Really trust him and feel comfortable being in his care. I’ve seen all three docs at IRH and they’re all fantastic. The Clinic staff is friendly and helpful. It is a very nice atmosphere and they treat you like a person—not a number.
Be patient with as it can be a long process but you’re in great hands.
I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance right off the bat. I tried Letrozole but couldn’t ovulate so after ultrasounds confirmed cysts I moved onto injections. I was able to ovulate and had an IUI. Unfortunately I had a miscarriage so now I am having weekly bloodwork as I wait for hormone levels to drop so I can start a new cycle. The doctors at IRH informed me of the chances of a miscarriage and have handled my care very well afterward. They remained positive and upbeat which really helped me feel better.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
The nursing staff [Institute for Reproductive Health] is thorough. You have to call a voice mail line first but the majority of the time you will receive a call back in less than 30 mins... Strengths: dedication to success, doctors are friendly and very knowledgeable about infertility and express empathy and compassion. Weakness: size. Large clientele some may get lost in the shuffle. Sometimes you see a NP instead of a physician which can be frustrating when you want answers or direction for the next cycle
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr Scheiber always treated me with respect and showed genuine passion and dedication to our treatment. We are still undergoing treatment and have not even considered seeing someone else.
The nursing staff is thorough. You have to call a voice mail line first but the majority of the time you will receive a call back in less than 30 mins
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Schiber is very compassionate about infertility and dedicated to tearing his patients. He’s honest about his thoughts as to whether treatment is going to work and what he recommends. The only thing that I disliked was seeing the NP whenever I had an appointment at the Rookwood office. At the Northern KY office you always see a physician
We were well prepared a head of time before going to the clinic. Have all medical record and test related to infertility sent before your appointment so that he has time to review and come up with a plan before your visit.
Uncovered cost have been around 2,000
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
hard to talk to someone on the phone [at Institute for Reproductive Health]. always have to leave a voicemail. receptionist is pleasantly nice and welcoming. nursing staff is amazing and makes you feel comfortable. I like that the sperm wash is right next to the fertility clinic...[nurses had] great bedside manner. very compassionate and understanding. they describe what's next and exactly what to do. even when I had severe cramping and called them, they walked me thru every thing that could have been wrong, and were very supportive
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
hard to talk to someone on the phone. always have to leave a voicemail. receptionist is pleasantly nice and welcoming. nursing staff is amazing and makes you feel comfortable. I like that the sperm wash is right next to the fertility clinic
he small talks, and makes jokes. he doesn't just talk about the medical part of it, and makes me feel like he sincerely cares.
he is very welcoming and nice. doesn't just speak about the medical terms and asks about work and our day. he makes us feel like not just a patient. one visit I did feel rushed thru my ultrasound. I left thinking of questions I should have asked, but didn't think about them until later. I wish he had gone in more detail about what each thing meant I the ultrasound and what to expect in the future.
started me on metformin before iui cycles began. low carb diet. be best to lose 20lbs. after 2nd iui produced no follicles, he upped my dosage to 3 pills of femera that same cycle, and tried again. now for my 3rd iui I'm on 3 femeras again.
ultrasounds each about $100 each visit $50 copay iui $500 sperm wash $225 ovidrel $92 femera $10
3 IUI, Donor Eggs
They [nursing staff at Institute for Reproductive Health] were very nice and organized when we were there. However, not as responsive on returned calls as we'd like...They were about the same as the other fertility doctor in Lexington. It ran about $15000 for a single fresh donor cycle and 4500 for each following frozen cycle...They are efficient and not outrageously priced for the area. They do appear to know what they are doing for most scenarios. They are just not great for folks that have struggled for a long time and want extra testing.
3 IUI, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
We have had several visits by now and done 6 transfers and barely had much interaction at all with him. No further tests offered, just a statement that we need to keep trying or consider a gestational carrier along with donor eggs.
They were very nice and organized when we were there. However, not as responsive on returned calls as we'd like.
I feel he's very knowledgable and for most people he's probably good. For us he was not very communicative and was not interested in further testing even if we were willing to pay for it. After exhausting all of our embryos, instead of trying to think about our options and further testing we could do, he suggested either trying a new donor round or a gestational carrier.
If you think that you are a common case, then it will probably go well. If you need lots of communication and think you'll need extra testing etc, then I would consider someone else.
We confirmed low AMH in my wife. We just tried donor eggs with ICSI and transferred the embryos. Not much changed beyond that, one miscarriage and no other pregnancies.
3 IUI, IVF
The doctors and nurses [at Institute for Reproductive Health] are compassionate. The most difficult part is working with the business office for payments and getting questions answered. They hardly return calls in a timely manner. I felt they could explain the embryo transfer decisions in advance to coming in on transfer day and letting you know if you do or don’t need ICSI it egg hatching... they give a discount if it’s self pay.
3 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The doctors and nurses are compassionate. The most difficult part is working with the business office for payments and getting questions answered. They hardly return calls in a timely manner. I felt they could explain the embryo transfer decisions in advance to coming in on transfer day and letting you know if you do or don’t need ICSI it egg hatching.
Dr.Awadalla is a very knowledgeable and caring Doctor. Although my IVF cycle didn’t yield the positive test I dreamed of, I am ready to try again if I had the money. He is compassionate and monitored me during my cycle closely and I felt I received good care that put me at ease. I highly recommend him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Katie )
The nurse at my retrieval was gentle and caring and put me at ease.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr.A looks at patient history and determines the best course of treatment. He does not just recommend things to make money. He told me it’s nlt necessary to do PGS and that he wants IVF to be affordable. He is compassionate and explains things when asked questions. After my negative Beta he called me to talk to me and I truly appreciated it because it was a Saturday.
Dr.A is great at answering questions or concerns so make a list and ask him at appointments.
I was precribed follistim and ganirelex and trigger shot, Prior to that I was started on birth control.
I was self pay and they give a discount if it’s self pay.
Although I wanted 2 transferred, Dr.A only recommended one and explained the risks of two.
2014 - 2017
The nursing staff at IRH is incredible. The care you receive in person or over the phone is one of kind. They treat you like you are one of their own, even when you ask the same question a million times. I have laughed with them and I have cried with them. They are phenomenal. My favorite nurse is Sarah, she will forever have a special place in my heart.... State of the art lab!! They are constantly doing upgrades and improvements. Truly the on the cutting edge of infertility treatment.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
He made us feel like we had a connection with him from day one. I was happy to be under his care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Sarah, among others)
Amazing care through the good AND the bad times. Infertility can be an overwhelming mountain to climb, and we felt like they had our back and were standing behind us the entire time. Even through our first failed cycle, I felt better after my call from Dr. Scheiber and I was ready to try again.
Feel free to ask or talk about anything. He is an open book!
My first IVF cycle failed, was on gonal f, menopur. The second time around we added in Lupron, and it worked and I have beautiful 14 month old boy/girl twins! And I am also now pregnant with a frozen embryo from their retrieval cycle.
8500 for IVF + about 4000 in meds 4500 for frozen cycle + about 1200 in meds (crinone is so expensive!!)
Yes, I was told if it was the top notch blast, we would transfer one. If the grade quality was a bit lower, we would transfer two. We transferred two.
2012 - 2017
[It] WOULD be helpful to have someone clinical available [at Institute for Reproductive Health] to answer phone calls, especially when it's urgent. As of now you have to leave a message and wait for return call... 4 IUI with clinic and ovidrel with hubbys sperm which did not work. Moved into IVF with gonal F and cetriotide...retrieved 8 eggs (I think) and all fertilized with husbands sperm but only 2 progressed...transferred those on day 3 and this did not work. Tried 2 IUI with gonal F and donor sperm, still negative. Did laparoscopic surgery to check for endometriosis and PCOS...only mild narrowing at opening of left tube. Did 3 more with donor sperm and gonal F and still nothing.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
WOULD be helpful to have someone clinical available to answer phone calls, especially when it's urgent. As of now you have to leave a message and wait for return call.
Answered questions, didn't feel rushed.
Answered all questions and very compassionate and patient.
Dr Awadalla has been fairly attentive to questions, as well as the staff. Nurses were great. Only problem I had was finding out I had an autoimmune disease in the middle of IUI cycle and felt like he blew this off some calling it "mild arthritis " which I am told is closer to being lupus. This was after failing many IUI's and a failed IVF with no frozens that made it. So we felt very lost and no good reason why nothing we have tried worked.
We are emotional messes. Just listen to our concerns bc they are very real to us. He has all the knowledge but we may know what he's thinking.
Comparatively it's cost effective.
None
Cincinnati
The clinic [Inst for Repro Health] itself is very efficient. Appointment times were very prompt. The staff is very helpful and willing to answer questions...We paid about $400 for the initial consultation visit, which included some lab work for me. We paid about $100 each for genetic carrier testing....Dr Schieber listened to my whole long story of previous tests and treatments, and laid out all the options we had going forward.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic itself is very efficient. Appointment times were very prompt. The staff is very helpful and willing to answer questions
He always spoke in a personal manner, made a couple jokes, and light-heartedly teased my husband. Sounds silly, but those things make a difference in feeling like a doctor is speaking to you like a real person they know- not just a case number
Our experience with the nursing staff has been limited since we've only gone through testing aspects so far with this office, but from that standpoint they were very organized and efficient.
By the time I went to see Dr Schieber I had already completed numerous medicated cycles and even 4 IUIs under my Ob-gyn. I worried that I would have to repeat that course with a new doctor. But Dr Schieber listened to my whole long story of previous tests and treatments, and laid out all the options we had going forward. He explained the benefits and drawbacks of each option, but never pressured us to make a certain decision. I appreciated his honesty and willingness to help with whatever decision we made.
Don't be afraid to ask questions!
Cincinnati
Return phone calls sometimes took longer than I expected [at IRH]. I also wish that Dr. Scheiber had a dedicated nurse whom I always talked to and who knew my file. It was nice that the office had injectibles there for you to purchase instead of going through insurance companies as they are difficult to deal with. The doctor and staff were helpful in billing everything so that insurance might cover it.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Return phone calls sometimes took longer than I expected. I also wish that Dr. Scheiber had a dedicated nurse whom I always talked to and who knew my file. It was nice that the office had injectibles there for you to purchase instead of going through insurance companies as they are difficult to deal with. The doctor and staff were helpful in billing everything so that insurance might cover it.
He listened to what we wanted, was positive and described the process. He always took time with us and we never felt rushed.
They were very kind and helpful. I do wish that there was one dedicated to my case or the doctor.
He listened to me and adjusted my treatment based upon my own feelings. I didn’t think I was ovulating when I was medically supposed to and when we changed the timing of my IUI and the medication a bit, I finally conceived. Even though I’m not a doctor, he trusted my own feelings and observations instead of brushing them aside.
Don’t be afraid to suggest or ask for something different. Only you know how your body is fully reacting to everything and you have to share everything with your doctor.
We started more conservatively with just Femara and another oral medicine and then after two failed IUIs we added gonal F. We did three more rounds with the addition of gonal F and adjusted the timing of my IUI to a few days later in my cycle as I have a 30 and not 28 day cycle.
$3000-$5000
Cincinnati
It [IRH-Cincinnati] is a well run clinic with great doctors and staff. The nurses are knowledgeable and friendly. They are very experienced due to a large patient volume. I did not notice any weaknesses. I highly recommend them to others with fertility problems... I believe our out of pocket costs for IVF were around 10,000 for 1 cycle.... At my age and with primarily male factor infertility eSET was recommended.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
It is a well run clinic with great doctors and staff. The nurses are knowledgeable and friendly. They are very experienced due to a large patient volume. I did not notice any weaknesses. I highly recommend them to others with fertility problems.
He remembered details of our situation and was always kind during visits.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
They were always very helpful and responded quickly to questions. I felt very comfortable with them.
He took a very thorough history at our first appointment. He was friendly and easy to talk to each time we saw him. He gave us an honest assessment and went into detail about each of our treatment options including chances of success. I never felt pushed to pursue a particular path and felt like all of my questions were answered.
I would definitely recommend that they go see him for any fertility needs.
We did 1 fresh embryo transfer of a day 5 embryo. I was on oral contraceptives prior to initiating injection medications. I took menopur and follistim once daily and added ganerelix for the last 4 days of injections. I responded well to the initial doses recommended and no dose changes were needed. I used endometrin suppositories 3 times daily after egg retrieval. They retrieved 7 eggs, all mature, which led to 5 embryos after ICSI. One embryo made it to day 5 and was transferred resulting in a healthy, full term birth.
I believe our out of pocket costs for IVF were around 10,000 for 1 cycle.
At my age and with primarily male factor infertility eSET was recommended.
2 IUI, IVF
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] was clean and easy to get to. The only downfall would be when you call, you always have to leave a voicemail and wait to be called back. I wish you could get a hold of a nurse during bisniness hours.... During my IVF cycle I needed to get more of a certain medication to continue taking but somehow it wasn’t refilled in time through my fertility pharmacy to receive it in time. The clinic was able to give me enough of the medication to keep taking and just charged it through them to my insurance to make up for the misunderstanding.
2 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was clean and easy to get to. The only downfall would be when you call, you always have to leave a voicemail and wait to be called back. I wish you could get a hold of a nurse during bisniness hours.
He was very personable and came off as caring and empathetic to our situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Sarah )
She was very easy to talk to and ask questions with. She was very thorough with my care plan and gave me peace of mind during each cycle.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The experience with doctor Burwinkle was very good. He explained everything thoroughly and was very realistic on each outcome. He answered all of our questions and concerns during each cycle and was empathetic to our situation. There were no real weaknesses with his treatments.
He is a great doctor and very realistic in treatment options and outcomes.
He was the one who diagnosed me with PCOS he was very familiar with how that would affect my fertility. He also was the one who treated me/us for all of our attempts to conceive via timed intercourse, IUIs, And IVF. He was very considerate of the way patients with PCOS would react to certain medications and dosages. He only used medications shown to work in women with PCOS and was able to find the balance to get the best results to not overwhelm my hormones but also get the ideal response.
They gave us a break down sheet of all the costs for treatment.
Since I was still considered young and my egg quality was good he didn’t want to transfer more than just one embryo.
Cincinnati
[The nurses at Institute for Reproductive Health were] Very helpful and attentive and encouraging...all costs are spelled out up front and nurses have up to date cost information on procedures and drugs...The staff here is wonderful, everyone is very friendly and helpful. The only drawback is when calling you never talk to a real person. The staff is great at calling back but it is frustrating to have to leave a message and wait for a call back...nsurance pre-authorization was not completed in a timely manner and many voicemails were not returned. We were told that they had a staff person dedicated to the role of insurance pre-authorization however, we were not able to call or reach this person. Finally, after my husband called we received a call back from said staff person. This was after we were told multiple times that there was no such person or department at the clinic.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
He really listened to our unique situation and he offered us many treatment options.
Very helpful and attentive and encouraging.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr Burwinkel is super informed and knowledgeable. He is very caring and definitely wants to see success in treatment for his patients. He performed a polyp removal surgery and we continued on to medicated IUI. I have been extremely happy with his care and attentiveness.
Do your research and ask lots of questions.
Originally I went to see Dr Burwinkel for tests and an hsg procedure. During my hsg procedure a uterine polyp was found and it needed to be surgically removed. We scheduled the surgery for 3 months later. My surgery went perfectly and we continued on to medicated IUI. I took clomid 100mg during days 3-7 and then I went in for an ultrasound, after that I did the ovidrel trigger shot and scheduled my IUI for the next day. For my second IUI we followed the same procedure, 100mg clomid on days 3-7 and then ultrasound to check follicles then trigger shot and IUI about 36 hours later.
Our insurance covers infertility, however all costs are spelled out up front and nurses have up to date cost information on procedures and drugs. Very helpful.
2012 - 2017
Very nice clinic area. No complaints about the clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] itself...Some of the nurses were great, while others were disorganized. I had 2 different nurses on 2 separate occasions give me incorrect medication dosage and timing. I corrected them based on what Dr. Awadalla had told me which they then confirmed...Dr Awadalla is a very personable and compassionate RE. Although I have been unable to conceive under his care, I highly recommend him. My only complaint is that he can be a bit too optimistic. I prefer to be told the blunt truth, even if it is negative.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Very nice clinic area. No complaints about the clinic itself
Dr. Awadalla was very personable and seemed to empathize with me each time my cycle was not successful. As a private person, I usually do not get emotional until I am alone at home. The last cycle he said to me, "I know this was a hard one for you and I was really hoping to have good news for you today."
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
As much as he wants to be successful at helping you conceive, he can be a bit too optimistic. He doesn't seem to fully understand that not everyone has the financial capabilities to just keep moving forward with treatments.
IUIs- Femara with Ovidrel trigger- all negative. 1st IVF - follistim, menopur, Ganarelix, ovidrel, progesterone - cancelled due to poor response 2nd IVF - femara, follistim, menopur, cetrotide, ovidrel, progesterone. - 2 eggs retrieved, 2 embryos, 0 transferred due to poor quality.
My IUIs were covered by insurance, $40 copay + $100 meds. IVF - ~$14000 (including meds and ICSI)
2013 - 2014
[IRH's] Strengths - communication, staff, appointments were on time, great results Cons - the centralized number - you often have to leave a message and you're called back within 24 hours. That can be frustrating and leave you very uneasy especially if you want an appointment or need answers.... Some of the most amazing nurses I've ever met. All were very kind, compassionate and knowledgeable.
2013 - 2014
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
All doctors and staff were so personable and they really got to know us as patients.
Dr Scheiber was so caring and compassionate and he had a very pleasant bedside manner. With every failed cycle, he would personally call us to let us know he was thinking about us and to not give up. Can't say enough great things about Dr. S.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
We first tried clomid and I didn't respond, so we moved to femara with a trigger shot and timed intercourse. After that didn't work, we moved to IUIs. We did 2 with femara and Ovidrel - both failed. On our 3rd IUI, we switched to injectables and that also failed. We then decided to move forward with IVF. We had to cancel our fresh transfer due to OHSS. Then we did 3 FETs before finally getting pregnant.
We had insurance coverage, so we never saw a bill for IVF. For IUI, we paid about $300 per cycle - insurance picked up some of the cost. If we wouldn't have had insurance, we would've been paying $800 per round of IUI.
We all agreed we would transfer two embryos each attempt.
2012 - 2014
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Great care, great nurses, and amazing doctors [at IRC]! All three doctors(the men, woman wasn't there at the time I was) were amazing. I saw them all, but Dr. Scheiber the most. They really do care before procedures, during, and even after...we have an IRH reunion at the local zoo every other year so the doctors, nurses, and other associates can see all the miracles they created! We love it!
2012 - 2014
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Great care, great nurses, and amazing doctors! All three doctors(the men, woman wasn't there at the time I was) were amazing. I saw them all, but Dr. Scheiber the most. They really do care before procedures, during, and even after...we have an IRH reunion at the local zoo every other year so the doctors, nurses, and other associates can see all the miracles they created! We love it!
He really cared about helping us pursue our dream of having children. He explained everything clearly that we would understand. He was flexible and very personable.
Very attentive and explained procedures clearly. Helped me out when it was hard for me to give blood and showed compassion when the IUI didn't work.
He was very personable and cares about each and every patient. He met with us first. Told us like it is and what we had to try to what steps to take and what he recommended. He was very precise and clear on what to expect.
He is a miracle worker, as is the whole clinic and doctors/nurses.
I do not remember particulars, but we did one IUI with him, after 2 failed ones at UC, with meds and injectibles. That IUI didn't work, so he suggested IVF, and it worked the first time.
I believe we had some sperm treatments that were no more than a couple hundred. The IUI was around $1,000, and IVF was around $10,000.
He said he would not transfer more than 2 embryos at a time. 1 or 2 and that's it...same with all the doctors there.
Cincinnati
About $1000 for an IUI cycle with meds [at Institute for Reproductive Health]...I don’t like how hard it is to get someone on the phone, but they do call back quickly. Overall the wait times in the waiting room are good and they’re fast. It’s clean, they have lots of apportionments...I felt like Dr Awadalla was very kind, but also very brief/quick in his visits with us...They’re [nurses] so kind!
They’re so kind!
He is very knowledge and wise, he has done this for many years. I do believe he cares about his patients and the outcomes. His bedside manner isn’t always the greatest, sometimes he seems rushed. Our first ultrasound with our first successful IUI, Dr. Awadalla didn’t even say hi to or acknowledge my husband. So in that way, you sort of feel like a number. When we came back to try for our second child, i did three IUI cycles that all failed. He continued to keep the same protocol. I called and asked if we could do injectable medications for my 4th cycle. The nurse asked him and he agreed. I’m now 18 weeks with twins. That was a little frustrating, but he has so many patients...i guess just be proactive in your own treatment and ask for things if you think it would be a good avenue to explore. Overall i really liked working with Dr. Awadalla.
About $1000 for an IUI cycle with meds.
3 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor
[The nurses at Institute for Reproductive Health- Cincinnati] Great , very caring always remembered me and cared . Gave great care...Weakness is phones. You can’t get a live person. I am very unhappy with the Ivf billing staff. You can call and never get a response . If you are using insurance they are not very helpful almost treat you worse than if self pay since it’s a project for them . Also phones for making an apt you must leave a message .
3 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Great dr and man. Great care , was always professional and kind
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Heather / and Erica )
Great , very caring always remembered me and cared . Gave great care
He’s a great dr and man . He never turned me away even when I was a project and always came up with the best plan . Great surgeon, trustworthy. Always felt good when I saw him. He gave me my son, and I can never thank him enough. Very smart dr, state of the art
The clinic as a whole is great . Dr Burwinkle willgive u individual care and make it work for you if he can
I have an extremely thin uterine lining which is rare , we did delestrogen shots , viagra , he even thinks out of the box and going to ty tamaxiophin (estrogen) and possibly Eva study to figure out what’s going on with my lining .
I have insurance coverage but I’d say $3k for 2 ivfs and FETs
I have a thin lining , my dr let’s me chose , having had failed transfers and a thin lining he is ok with me transferring two since I have many embryos left , if I feel comfortable doing it . Otherwise he is more single mindset
Cincinnati
[Institute for Reproductive Health-Cincinnati] Ultrasounds for IVF had to be on certain days, but they always tried to make it work with your schedule.... [They're] Always busy, but not much they could change to help with the number of patients they see.... IVF cycles are one bundled price. Anything extra like ICSI, would be extra and billed at a later date.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
He has been willing to try multiple treatment options as well as cancelling a cycle due to irregular test results instead of just pushing me through.
Very kind every time I was in there. Felt like a person not just another "patient".
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Burwinkle tells is how it is, which I like. I always felt knowledgeable of what the treatment was going to be and why he decided to take his route. He was also open to trying a different medication route the next time we decide to try.
Be open and don't be afraid to ask questions.
This past cycle was cancelled the dub before retrieval because of high hormone levels. Since I produce a lower number of eggs, Dr. Burwinkle has not wanted to put me on lupron, but instead femara, Gonral-F, menopur, cetrotide, etc.
He seems to be more into transferring 2 eggs than 1.
Other, Unexplained
[The nursing staff at Institute for Reproductive Health were] Amazing, knowledgeable and compassionate...IRH is very organized and there is someone always there to answer questions. They returned calls quickly and is even open during weekends. I had to call in a Saturday afternoon and got ahold of the doctor. Appointments were always running on time. The waiting area and clinic area is clean and private.
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Dr. Awadalla always knew who we were and what our goals were. He was upbeat and positive but also realistic.
Amazing, knowledgeable and compassionate
Dr. Awadalla was very up front about the end goal of treatment, to have a baby. He seemed blunt at first but after the initial consultation was very kind, empathetic and encouraging! He showed compassion when I was upset about not being able to get pregnant on our own and also knew when to keep the mood light.
Let him do what he does best. He may seem blunt during initial consultation but is now someone we consider family.
IUI with Olvidrel for two months. Then IVF fresh cycle (twin pregnancy and birth). 2.5 years later we did a frozen embryo transfer which resulted in a live Singleton birth.
I don't remember exactly costs but I do know that we were given rebates on several medications that were very helpful!
Dr. Awadalla said the choice would be ours. When the time came to do our first transfer he suggested two embryos and we had decided we we're ok with that and actually wanted to try for two. With our frozen cycle we only had one embryo left so we did not have any other choice.
Cincinnati
RH is attentive to each patients needs, and work to ensure timely and efficient appointments, but because of that, we often had to see other doctors from the practice. We also treated out of state about 2 hours away so the clinic has a satellite office that also contributed to us having to see other doctors. ... IVF meds: Gonal F (250 per day), Menopur 75 (1 vial/day), Cetrotide (5-7 days), and Ovidrel (trigger shot-1) for 14 days, using Cash prices at Freedom Pharmacy, was approximately $4400.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Clean, organized, professional, efficient, and courteous
He called us personally with results and was willing to spend time with us answering any and all questions.
Dr. Awadalla is great, and we enjoyed working with him. He gets straight to the point, but is not harsh or callous. IRH is attentive to each patients needs, and work to ensure timely and efficient appointments, but because of that, we often had to see other doctors from the practice. We also treated out of state about 2 hours away so the clinic has a satellite office that also contributed to us having to see other doctors. He is positive and optimistic and encouraging.
Relax. Ask questions.
IVF meds: Gonal F (250 per day), Menopur 75 (1 vial/day), Cetrotide (5-7 days), and Ovidrel (trigger shot-1) for 14 days, using Cash prices at Freedom Pharmacy, was approximately $4400. IVF w/ICSI w/ Cigna HRA insurance ($10,000 lifetime max fertility coverage including IVF) was approximately $2500. Insurance covered IVF about 80/20.
2014 - 2017
I drive 3 hours to this clinic [Inst for Repro Health - Cinci]. They have an amazing ART lab staff & the nurses are all very compassionate....[Nursing Staff] Amazing! They are the most compassionate people I know. They will hug you as you cry, call to check on you after treatments. Always full of hope for you...Money back cycle (3 fresh IVF w/Isci, 3frozen transfers) $18,000...He [Dr. Awadalla] was very understanding & knowledgeable about my condition. He was very aggressive about treatment & knew the best plan of action for me.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I drive 3 hours to this clinic. They have an amazing ART lab staff & the nurses are all very compassionate.
He was very understanding & knowledgeable about my condition. He was very aggressive about treatment & knew the best plan of action for me.
He would set a plan in place & follow through. I felt like he would listen to my concerns & let me decide what would be best with the help of his advice. He wasn't afraid of being aggressive with treatment. He was very proactive about my care.
Your doctor is very knowledgeable & is the best in his area. However, you do need to be your own advocate for your care to.
I was on over 200 iu of follostim, my last doctor never had me in that high of medicine. However, until I was at IRH I never ovulated. I only had one cycle that was cancelled because if over stimulation.
Money back cycle (3 fresh IVF w/Isci, 3frozen transfers) $18,000
We were in the same page with embryo transfers. Our first one was a single & the rest we transferred two.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor
They [Institute for Repro Health- Cincinnati] was always helpful and compassionate. The only thing I didn't like was they don't have a receptionist to answer phone calls.... had to leave a voicemail every time I called. All and all was a great staff of nurses, always nice and compassionate. They seemed very educated and helpful....We did the bundle package including 3 fresh and 3 frozen transfers.... [Dr. Awadalla] Took time out to clearly explain our situation and he was honest
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Didn't like not getting a person when calling the office, had to leave a voicemail every time I called. All and all was a great staff of nurses, always nice and compassionate. They seemed very educated and helpful.
Took time out to clearly explain our situation and he was honest
They was always helpful and compassionate. The only thing I didn't like was they don't have a receptionist to answer phone calls. I had to always leave a voicemail
He was super confident, and seemed nonchalant, but he was truly the best fertility doctor we have seen. He guaranteed positive results and followed through. Will be going to him again for baby number 2.
Trust in him, he knows his practice very well!
Its been a few years, but he always did my ultrasounds and adjusted medications based on the results. He also used ultrasound to guide him with the embryo transfer which is different from our previous fertility doctors.
We did the bundle package including 3 fresh and 3 frozen transfers. I can't recall the exact cost
2010 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Communication is key and they have that here [Inst for Repro Health] ! Everyone is on the same page and seems to work as a team. The clinic is very clean and welcoming, as well...I have always felt valued as a patient. I have had everything explained to me in a way that is easy to understand and communication has been top notch. All of the doctors, nurses and staff are very caring and try their best to keep yhings positive. The environment is also very clean and welcoming.
2010 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Communication is key and they have that here! Everyone is on the same page and seems to work as a team. The clinic is very clean and welcoming, as well.
Dr. S is very understanding and caring. He gives his honest opinion when asked and has always made me feel very comfortable and cared for.
Penny is amazing! She is a great communicator and does her best to help in any way possible!
Dr. S has a wonderful bedside manner!
I am a patient that is a carrier for a rare genetic disorder. PGD is the best option for my husband and I, as not to pass this along. Dr. S has great knowledge of this procedure and is willing to try anything and everything to help you achieve a successful pregnancy.
Around $20,000 a cycle
2005 - 2016
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
They [IRH-Cincinnati] do sometimes run behind schedule but are generally very prompt with appointment times. They are very friendly, caring, and communicative. Offices are very nicely decorated and the ultrasound rooms have closets for your clothes in the room. They give excellent instructions on medications. They go over financial options for payment of treatment
2005 - 2016
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
They do sometimes run behind schedule but are generally very prompt with appointment times. They are very friendly, caring, and communicative. Offices are very nicely decorated and the ultrasound rooms have closets for your clothes in the room. They give excellent instructions on medications. They go over financial options for payment of treatment
Dr. Scheiber has always been very personable and has cared about my emotional as well as physical needs during treatment. He has been a huge support to myself and my husband during treatment. He also held me in a hug as I cried after he told me we miscarried our daughter.
Excellent, Genuine, and Caring. Very communicative and they take excellent notes for doctors during exams
He always cares about each patients emotion as well as physical well being during treatment. He is also very gentle with exams and explains everything. He even let my husband stay with me during exams
He is wonderful, caring, kind hearted doctor that really genuinely cares about each of his patients
We used Clomid, Ovidrel, and IUI. We also tried DHEA supplementation
Insurance covered all but a few hundred dollars each cycle but insurance covered most of our services with co pays
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Infertility is such a difficult thing to deal with and IRH [Institute for Reproductive Health] just made it better! Many do not have insurance coverage for these procedures, but IRH does have some agencies it works with.... First we did the basic work up for both myself and my husband. This included bloodworm, semen analysis, HSG, and medical history. We had some male factor, but otherwise unexplained. We tried a couple cycles of IUI and then moved on to IVF.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Infertility is such a difficult thing to deal with and IRH just made it better! Many do not have insurance coverage for these procedures, but IRH does have some agencies it works with.
He was personable! If he saw me in the waiting room just there to get labs, he would always stop to chat. He took extra time to make you feel like you mattered
They were fantastic! They were easy to reach to answer any questions
Dr. Scheiber was wonderful! He was always open, honest, and set realistic expectations for what we could expect. The whole process is so overwhelming and he just made it so much better! I would see him again in a heartbeat.
If you have any questions just ask. He was always so good at explaining everything in a way we could understand and most of the time he answered our questions before we even asked.