Genetic counseling: Offered
Florence, KY 41042
7242 Tylers Corner
West Chester, OH 45069
513.924.5550
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Institute for Reproductive Health to a friend?

2013 - 2016
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
The battle to conceive was long and hard but Dr A [Dr. Sherif Awadalla] kept fighting. He never gave up hope which gave us continued hope for success. He performed two D&C’svand a tubal pregnancy removal and always showed compassion. He was very candid that he thought my egg quality was the issue but gave me time and space to work through those thoughts. Ultimately he was 100% correctvand got us to the donor coordinator for further information. We gave two beautiful little girls now and are family is complete. Rainbows do come after storms.
Nursing staff [at IRH-Cincinnati] is fantastic, doctors are knowledgeable and ahead on all current and future technology. The laboratory is best in class. I never had trouble getting in for any appointments and never had to wait for an extended period. They also have great access to resolve resource groups as well as girls night in support groups.
2013 - 2016
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The battle to conceive was long and hard but Dr A kept fighting. He never gave up hope which gave us continued hope for success. He performed two D&C’svand a tubal pregnancy removal and always showed compassion. He was very candid that he thought my egg quality was the issue but gave me time and space to work through those thoughts. Ultimately he was 100% correctvand got us to the donor coordinator for further information. We gave two beautiful little girls now and are family is complete. Rainbows do come after storms.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
He is an amazing doctor. Sometimes he can be a bit blunt but that’s just because he is trying to get you the results you are trying to achieve. Trust him he’s brilliant.
Describe the protocols Sherif Awadalla used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
PGD was prescribed with IVF after multiple IUI miscarriages with chromosome abnormalities. With PGD we discovered that 80-90% of our embryo is had issues. When healthy embryos were unsuccessful. He recommended egg donor cycle. Once we went that route we only had one cycle and now gave one fresh baby and one frozen
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Nursing staff is fantastic, doctors are knowledgeable and ahead on all current and future technology. The laboratory is best in class. I never had trouble getting in for any appointments and never had to wait for an extended period. They also have great access to resolve resource groups as well as girls night in support groups.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health.
IVF with ICSI and PGD was around 12-15k and donor cycle was 20-25k. Donor cycle charges in Clyde freezing of embroyos and frozen transfer. Cycle resulted in two Singleton pregnancies.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health.
I had one instance where a phone call was late arriving with a result but a quick call to them resolved the issue.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health.

3 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
every time he [Dr. Burwinkel] sees me he knows who I am and my history and not just because he looked at my chart 5 minutes before my appointment. He is direct and tells me what I need to hear, but does it in a way that is kind and compassionate...opened my mind to the possibility of egg donation after a couple of egg retrievals with less than desirable results but let me know that they would continue to try with my eggs as long as I was willing. He also was honest with us when we asked about a Gestational Carrier, stating that it was our best shot for the one genetically normal embryo we have frozen. Because of Dr. B, we hope to transfer to a gestational carrier in November with our own embryo and hope to transfer to me in December with a donor embryo. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. B. I truly believe we are on our current course because of him and I have 100% faith that he is leading us in the right direction.
if you are not one of the extremely complicated cases, you will not have an assigned nurse or coordinator. IRH has a team of standard treatment nurses and a team of IVF nurses. Overall, I would say that the team of IRH nurses are pretty amazing...They do an amazing job, but it's a high volume clinic so your journey will be so much smoother if you are on top of everything and help them be the care team you need...things *could* have gone wrong if I hadn't been paying attention.
3 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I have seen every doctor at IRH over the last two years and over that time, I have become the most comfortable with Dr. B and as a result, switched over to him as my primary physician in early 2019. I am someone who needs my doctor to explain the details of my diagnosis and treatment in order to feel confident in our plan of action. If the details are not explained to me, I get very anxious. Dr. B learned this about me very quickly and takes the time to explain everything to us as well as answer all of my questions. When we ask for additional consult appointments just to talk about next steps, he is always accommodating and takes the time to ensure all of our questions are answered. I am also a very direct person who wants an honest assessment of the situation, even if it's tough to hear. When I'm told overly positive things repeatedly and then experience disappointment, that makes me distrustful. I realize that this helps some patients, but it is not something that works for me. This is why Dr. B is a perfect fit for me. We have had to have quite a few tough discussions over the course of my treatment (he diagnosed 2 of my 3 miscarriages, had a discussion about donor eggs, as well as discussed use of a gestational carrier) and he has been fantastic. He has a way of being direct about the tough things, but is compassionate and helps you understand the full picture. Dr. B opened my mind to the possibility of egg donation after a couple of egg retrievals with less than desirable results but let me know that they would continue to try with my eggs as long as I was willing. He also was honest with us when we asked about a Gestational Carrier, stating that it was our best shot for the one genetically normal embryo we have frozen. Because of Dr. B, we hope to transfer to a gestational carrier in November with our own embryo and hope to transfer to me in December with a donor embryo. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. B. I truly believe we are on our current course because of him and I have 100% faith that he is leading us in the right direction.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
If you are somebody who wants all the details of your diagnosis and treatment plan, likes to ask questions, and wants someone who will give you honesty, ask for Dr. B to be your primary doctor (or Dr. S). If you get overwhelmed by the details and want a doctor that will give you more general encouragement, ask for Dr. A to be your primary doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I switched to Dr. B in early 2019 because after 2 years of care at IRH, I realized that I had established the best rapport with Dr. B and that he spoke my language. He takes the time to explain my diagnosis and treatment cycle to me, which is extremely important for me personally. I never feel like he is in too much of a hurry to answer my questions. I also know that every time he sees me he knows who I am and my history and not just because he looked at my chart 5 minutes before my appointment. He is direct and tells me what I need to hear, but does it in a way that is kind and compassionate.
Describe the protocols Thomas Burwinkel used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
Egg Retrieval 1 with Dr. B (3 Overall): 225 Gonal F, 150 Menopur, Cetrotide = 7 Eggs Retrieved, 2 Blastocysts, 1 PGS Normal Embryo. With this cycle, he added an extra vial of Menopur to attempt to get a 4:1 Ratio of FSH to LH in hopes of retrieving more eggs. The strategy worked as I had only ever had 3 eggs retrieved previously. Egg Retrieval 2 with Dr B (4th Retrieval Overall): Femara 5MG Per Day Cycle Days 3-7, 225 Gonal F & 150 Menopur Starting Day 3, Cetrotide (NOTE: Dr. S recommended this cycle) = 9 Eggs Retrieved, 3 Blastocysts, 0 PGS Normal Embryos. With this cycle, Femara was added in hopes of getting more quality eggs. Egg Retrieval 3 with Dr B (5th Retrieval Overall): F 225 Gonal F & 150 Menopur Starting Day 3, Cetrotide: 4 Eggs Retrieved, 1 Blastocyst, 0 PGS Normal Embryos. With this cycle, we started out with less than an ideal follicle pattern, so our expectations weren't as high out of the gate. The thought was to go back to the retrieval where we got a good embryo and I 100% agreed with this strategy. If I had to go back and do it again, I would do the same protocol. Dr. B also ordered all of my recurrent loss testing after my 3rd miscarriage (which was with a PGS Normal Embryo). He tested for Thyroid Levels, Blood Clotting Disorders, and Auto Immune Disorders. He also recommended a uterine biopsy for an ERA Test for Embryo Transfer Timing & Receptiva Test for Endometriosis. Blood Tests came back with slightly elevated Prolactin & TSH. While he did not believe this is my primary issue, he started me on Levothyroxine. The ERA test came back normal. The Receptiva Test came back positive for inflammation associated with endometriosis. The strategy here was to test me for everything under the sun since I had been pregnant 3 times and all 3 resulted in miscarriage, with the last one being a PGS Normal embryo. Even if we hadn't diagnosed anything, at least we could have eliminated them as possibilities. This was a strategy that I was 100% on board with and would do over again. Treatment for endometriosis consisted of 2 months of Lupron Depot Injections, which put your ovaries into a temporary state of menopause in an effort to get rid of the inflammation associated with endometriosis. We have decided to repeat the biopsy after treatment is completed before attempting an embryo transfer with donor eggs. This repeat test was particularly important to me because I don't want to do an embryo transfer without knowing that the Receptiva Test is negative and I was thrilled that Dr. B was supportive of repeating the test. Our Egg Donor Cycle is currently in process. Our Egg Donor (a known donor) is doing Gonal F and Cetrotide with doses to be determined. Dr. B recommended considering an egg donor after our 1st egg retrieval (2nd cycle as 1st was cancelled) yielded only 3 eggs and no PGS Normal Embryos. We did 4 more egg retrievals after that resulting in only 2 PGS Normal Embryos. So, after 5 egg retrievals and only 1 Frozen PGS Normal Embryo left, we decided it was time to move onto the egg donor waiting in the wings. His suggestion earlier on in the process allowed us to get our egg donor lined up but to continue with our own retrievals until we were ready to move onto the egg donor. We elected to do PGS Testing on our Donor Embryos, which is unusual, but given my history with loss, we were only interested in proceeding with embryos confirmed to be genetically normal. Again, Dr. B was supportive of our wishes and helped us formulate the plan. Finally, we are doing a frozen embryo transfer cycle with our 1 remaining PGS Normal Embryo and a Gestational Carrier (known carrier/friend). Our Carrier took several weeks of Lupron Injections to down regulate her ovaries and will take normal estrace/progersterone protocol for a frozen embryo transfer. When we brought up our concerns about how few of our own embryos we had, Dr. B was in agreement that a Gestational Carrier was our best chance of success. He recognized our priorities and we appreciated his candor and honesty in his recommendation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Price)
First, I want to note that generally speaking, patients are not assigned a primary nurse or care coordinator at IRH. Sarah Price and Lizzie West are in charge of the Egg Donor and Gestational Carrier programs at IRH. Since we are coordinating care of both an Egg Donor and a Gestational Carrier in addition to my treatment cycles in a relatively small window, our treatment plan is extremely complicated. Given her position as coordinating egg donors and gestational carriers, Sarah Price stepped up became our primary nurse. With that being said, I cannot say enough great things about Sarah. She has been absolutely amazing. She is exceptionally supportive, extremely organized, walks me through all the details, answers all of my questions (there are a lot), and truly makes me feel like she is invested in our success. She has truly gone above and beyond for us and I am so incredibly grateful for her help. As stated above though, if you are not one of the extremely complicated cases, you will not have an assigned nurse or coordinator. IRH has a team of standard treatment nurses and a team of IVF nurses. Overall, I would say that the team of IRH nurses are pretty amazing. They're knowledgeable, patient, and supportive. One thing I would definitely recommend is to write down the names of the nurses who have been particularly helpful to you. While you don't get to pick the nurses that you see at your appointments, it is helpful to know the ones that have worked well with you in the past. In addition to Sarah, who I mentioned above, some of my absolute favorite nurses are Mindy who has drawn my blood a zillion times and always takes great care of me, Devin who did my Lupron Depot injection (which is intramuscular) and I didn't even feel it, Jackie who was my nurse several times for egg retrievals and even called to congratulate me when we found out we had a normal embryo, Katie who was my nurse for several egg retrievals and is absolutely amazing, and Sarah (a different Sarah than above) who has walked me through the instructions for some of our tougher cycles. There are plenty of other great nurses there. These are just some of the ones who have been exceptional during my treatment.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strengths: Convenient Locations, Prompt Call Backs, Compassionate, Knowledgeable, and Supportive Staff, relatively short wait times, clear instructions and treatment plans. Weaknesses: High Volume so it can feel like you're a number (some of that is on you though - if you seek out the right doctors and nurses you won't), you won't get a live person when you call (but they will call you back same day) Recommendation for patients: Your experience will be better if you are proactive and take ownership of your journey. If you have questions ask them. If you have a preferred doctor or doctors, try to schedule with them as much as possible. If you want an extra consult to talk about your treatment, schedule one. If you're nervous about something, don't wait, call them. Keep track of your medications, follow up with them to make sure things are being done timely, etc. They do an amazing job, but it's a high volume clinic so your journey will be so much smoother if you are on top of everything and help them be the care team you need.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health.
This really depends on whether you are out of pocket or insured. IVF with PGS Testing Out of Pocket (all in for meds etc): $24,000 Embryo Transfer: $4500 Screening for Gestational Carrier and Husband: $2700 Screening for Me (to use Gestational Carrier): $1700 Multi Cycle Package for PGS Testing: $2150 With insurance it is significantly cheaper. Once we hit our deductible, IVF without an embryo transfer was about $600. The PGS Testing is $2150 in addition to the $600 but we should potentially get reimbursed for that from insurance. These costs are really going to vary depending on your insurance coverage.
Describe Thomas Burwinkel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
All of the doctors at our clinic typically prefer single embryo transfers. We have always used PGS tested embryos, and in those cases, they will only transfer 1 embryo.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I wouldn't say that things have gone wrong necessarily. It's more that things *could* have gone wrong if I hadn't been paying attention. For Example: (1) If I hadn't kept a meticulous inventory of my IVF medication, we would have been scrambling mid cycle to get additional medication (I know this is relatively common, but I prefer not to have to deal with it) (2) I would have lost a month of my treatment because we didn't have the proper prior authorization for my Lupron Depot Injections. This wasn't necessarily their fault - actually it was more the pharmacy - but if I hadn't been persistent, we would not have gotten the medication on time. (3) At one of our Pre-Retrieval instructions sessions, a nurse gave us conflicting instructions for a PGS cycle. It actually really freaked me out because it was our first retrieval. I called back and requested to have someone walk us through it again to ensure I understood and everything got clarified. (4) A prior authorization was not submitted timely and we had to miss a month for our retrieval cycle (no harm done - we did a uterine biopsy instead, but it still did result in the change of our treatment cycle). So, like I said in my previous response, it is in the patient's best interest to make sure they are an informed patient and proactive in the management of their treatment. Only you know your history the best, so be proactive and help them give you the best treatment possible.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health.

Michael Scheiber was an extremely upbeat and friendly guy. His knowledge made me feel extremely comfortable through the process from multiple check ups, egg retrieval all the way to the transfer. I always left the office knowing I was in good hands. ... We chose a 5 day embryo through PGS for transfer ... During every appointment, he would refer to my husband and I by our first name as if he knew us. He has an extremely friendly and compassionate demeanor
Better schedule/ timeline of events. I always wanted to know what was next and had a calendar of my own. The amount of paperwork was daunting. I know there is no way around it, but better communication [from Institute for Repro Health] of what was needed when so my husband and I could have been better prepared! ... There was a line to leave the nursing staff a message. I would call with anything- concerns etc. they would always call back in a timely manner knowing my full history.
How was your experience with Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health?
There is a lot of paperwork! Always check in to see if you have everything signed. Medicine is expensive and on-going. Be prepared if pregnant to order endometrin and estradiol multiple times. Best through an online pharmacy!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Describe the protocols Michael Scheiber used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
Period Day 1: Tuesday, June 11th Start Birth Control: Thursday, June 13th -Spotting on Sunday, June 16th Preliminary Doctor’s Appointment to see how B.C. Is working: Wednesday, June 26th. He said everything looked great and that I would produce multiple eggs due to PCOS -Stop Birth Control July 3 -July 4, July 5 and July 6 no birth control. Very crampy and spotty especially on the last day -Start Follistim and Menopur July 7th. 125 of the follistim and 1 vial of Manipur -Mid Medication Follow Up July 10th at 3:45pm. Follicles progressing good. Start to take Ganirelix on Thursday. Lower Follistim dosage on Friday. -Follow Up July 13th at 10:00am: left side follicles are growing slower. Right side is on track. Next appointment scheduled for Monday. Predicted egg retrieval for Friday, July 19th. -Follow Up Follow Up July 15th at 8:45am. Had to purchase another gani. -Egg Retrieval day. Took vicodin at 7:15am. I arrived at IRH at 7:45am and they took me back on the bed. Pumped fluids through my hand since they couldn’t find a vein. Antibiotics and a relaxant medicine. A window behind the light with a person behind it. Dr. Scheiber recited my name to the nurses in the room and what they were here for. I felt everything that the doctor did but it was quick. Wheeled me back. Was in so much pain. Nurse Melissa told me they retrieved 17 eggs. -Saturday, 8:20am, nurse called and told me all 17 of my eggs were mature and out of that 12 fertilized -Thursday the 25th at 12:06pm nurse called me to tell me I had 6 Day 5/ Day 6 embryos -Started my period Saturday evening 27th/ 28th Sunday morning. Left nurse voicemail Saturday evening. Nurse called Sunday morning. Scheduled lining check on August 8th. Tentative transfer on 16th. Take estradiol 3 times a day -Wednesday 31st institute in Nashville called to say they received the samples and it will take 5 to 7 days for biopsy results -Appointment on August 8th- all embryos normal and healthy. 5 boys, 1 girl -August 16th transfer date
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Better schedule/ timeline of events. I always wanted to know what was next and had a calendar of my own. The amount of paperwork was daunting. I know there is no way around it, but better communication of what was needed when so my husband and I could have been better prepared!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health.
$16,235 for IVF with PGD. Medications and Biopsy costs were separate
Describe Michael Scheiber's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
No comment. We chose a 5 day embryo through PGS for transfer
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health.

Dr. Burwinkel is very kind and caring. His bedside manner was great and he always ensured I understood the treatment process. When I had questions, he took time to listen. He took the time to answer each of my questions and never acted rushed. For my egg retrieval, he came to see me before and after the procedure. He always made sure I was comfortable throughout the process.
Strengths [of Inst for Repro Health] are that the appointments are not long, staff are compassionate, they have a great bedside manner and there is an open line of communication. Weaknesses are that you might not always see the same doctor if they are not in that day ... The nursing staff was amazing. They always responded to questions left on the nurse line, provided reassurance and ensured my comfort .
I would definitely recommend him and never be afraid to ask questions.
Dr. Burkwinkel has a great bedside manner and takes time to talk to patients.
Dr. Burwinkel used femera and ovidrel with my IUIs. I always responded positively but never got pregnant. He used menopur, gonal f, cetrotide and ovidrel for my IVF. I also responded well and had 25 mature eggs. I was given dostinex after my retrieval to help against hyperstimulation. I did not end up with hyperstimulation and was able to have a fresh transfer.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strengths are that the appointments are not long, staff are compassionate, they have a great bedside manner and there is an open line of communication. Weaknesses are that you might not always see the same doctor if they are not in that day.
$15000 for 3 IUIs and 1 IVF
I was not happy with the thought of an eset at first but Dr. Burwinkel explained the risk of embryos splitting and multiples with more than one embryo being transferred. I am now grateful because I got pregnant with a healthy single baby from my first IVF.

Endometriosis, Male Factor
I don’t have a lot of hands on with the [nursing] staff as Dr B [Burwinkel] is very hands on and takes control of all my appointments. ... Before we started IUI, he ordered a test to look at my uterus and ovaries to make sure they were clear and looked good. ... Dr B is always very involved in all my appointments. He will call me Himself to discuss any and al questions I have. He gives me his honest opinion and I never feel he is forcing decisions on me. Never once has he pushed for something to help numbers. I truly feel he knows how hard this journey is and wants to help us get our baby.
There is one dr that is nice but I feel she just wants to be in and out. I chalked it up to I’m not her “patient “ so I just don’t see her anymore. I do like they [Institute for Reproductive Health] have multiple locations. They always call back super fast (typically same day) and I’ve never had any issues scheduling my appointments. I feel really comfortable going in to talk to Dr B and know he’s going to be straightforward with me.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
I was at another clinic and the dr never came in to speak with me or complete my ultrasounds or testings. I decided to change to this clinic and saw one other dr in the practice but voices that is rather keep all appointments with Dr B and he’s been great at making sure he keeps up with our treatment. He takes his time and I’ve never one time felt rushed. He chit chats with my husband which makes my husband feel more comfortable coming to my appointments with me. He always acknowledges my feelings and sets me up for how things can or may go. I love that he’s very blunt and to the point. I don’t want a dr to sugar coat anything with how much we are investing into our journey. I don’t want false hope! I always look forward to seeing Dr B and hearing what plans he has for our treatment. After every IUI he days he prays this is our time and I really feel he means it!
Don’t expect him to beat around the bush. Very forthcoming
Before we started IUI, he ordered a test to look at my uterus and ovaries to make sure they were clear and looked good. During this he found polyps in my uterus and he removed them successfully during surgery. He then scheduled my first IUI using letrozole and then did an ultrasound to check my follicles and gave me the date for my trigger shot. This was the same approach on each IUI. Ultimately my IUIs weren’t successful but endometriosis has a role in that outcome. He also did a progesterone check 1 week after my last IUI per my request to help ease my mind.
I don’t have a lot of hands on with the staff as Dr B is very hands on and takes control of all my appointments. The times I have interacted with the nursing staff they are very polite and professional. They always make sure to wish us luck as we leave our appointments
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I was at another clinic closer to me and decided to move to this clinic and so far I’m very happy I did. It’s very clean, quiet, and helps to calm my nerves. The staff has always been great. There is one dr that is nice but I feel she just wants to be in and out. I chalked it up to I’m not her “patient “ so I just don’t see her anymore. I do like they have multiple locations. They always call back super fast (typically same day) and I’ve never had any issues scheduling my appointments. I feel really comfortable going in to talk to Dr B and know he’s going to be straightforward with me.
So far my insurance has covered everything for my IUIs and most of my meds. I’m not sure what the out of pocket costs are.
We have only had an IVF consult so far, but he likes to do a single transfer starting out. He is open to multiple transfers if at least two IVF transfers were unsuccessful.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Awadalla seems like a true expert and was very professional. I couldn't always see him because he doesn't work everyday and my cycles didn't work out that way, but he was there for the two biggest days (egg retrieval and embryo transfer)...make sure that you come in with questions because otherwise you will get hustled out of there. He'll answer questions but he doesn't chat through everything in detail otherwise...we did a single embryo transfer after freezing for a month because I developed OHSS.
Some of the nurses [at IRH] were better than others. The nurse I had on the day of my retrieval (Stephanie) was amazing. The nurse who did my "IVF Education Day" gave a lot of information but I felt like it was very rushed. In general, I think the nurses are very compassionate but they deal with this all day every day, so there's not a very personal touch...Good: Free parking, early appointments, multiple locations around the city, affiliated lab right next door. Financial people are AWESOME and really know their stuff. Bad: Always felt a little rushed - they crank through a lot of people in one day.
Do your research ahead of time and make sure that you come in with questions because otherwise you will get hustled out of there. He'll answer questions but he doesn't chat through everything in detail otherwise.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I always felt a little rushed in the office. He doesn't do much explanation and leaves that to the nurses. He always seems very confident and is realistic about what his recommendations are, but I never felt like I had enough time with him.
After doing a round of clomid+intercourse with my OB-GYN, Dr. Awadalla did a round of IUI (femara+IUI). Because I have PCOS, we moved to IVF for the next step. We did birth control for 3 weeks so that I could go on a vacation, then 10 days of injections at a very low dose (150). We triggered with lupron and a normal trigger at a lower dose. They retrieved 33 eggs, 31 of which were mature, and 29 fertilized (no ISCI). We ended up with 23 embryos (19 day 5 blasts, 4 day 6 blasts). We did not do PGS. Just yesterday, we did a single embryo transfer after freezing for a month because I developed OHSS.
Some of the nurses were better than others. The nurse I had on the day of my retrieval (Stephanie) was amazing. The nurse who did my "IVF Education Day" gave a lot of information but I felt like it was very rushed. In general, I think the nurses are very compassionate but they deal with this all day every day, so there's not a very personal touch.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I was fortunate enough to have most of my costs covered by Fertility insurance. I did pay about $500 for medications/injections and about $250/appointment.
Describe Sherif Awadalla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
The doctor strongly recommended eSET based on the quality of our embryos and my age. We agreed with this recommendation based on the risks to mother and child(ren) associated with multiples.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
One of my appointments was scheduled at the wrong location for this clinic. They were able to get me in to the clinic that I went to but I had to wait a little bit, but I think they handled it really well.

Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Other
I only had two embryos from this fresh cycle [with Dr. Scheiber and I had two failed transfers previously so he recommended that we transfer both to increase our chances...I feel like the retrieval caught me off guard because it was a light twilight sedation so I was awake during the surgery. I was never awake with my 3 previous retrievals at another RE so I was not expecting this. I was not informed beforehand that I would be awake. It was not pleasant. Transfer went smoothly. When I got the negative BETA I feel like the news was said to me in a gentle manner.
I felt like the clinic [IRH] had our best interest at heart. I did not feel rushed in the appointments and they answered our questions thoroughly. They showed sincerity and empathy for what I have been through on this journey...I primarily dealt with Katie [nurse] and I loved her. She was very sweet and quick to respond to my emails and phone calls. IRH does NOT use a patient portal although Katie told me they were working on that and I still didnt feel a lack in communication there.
Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Other
I felt that he was thorough when discussing my protocol and I understood everything. I feel like the retrieval caught me off guard because it was a light twilight sedation so I was awake during the surgery. I was never awake with my 3 previous retrievals at another RE so I was not expecting this. I was not informed beforehand that I would be awake. It was not pleasant. Transfer went smoothly. When I got the negative BETA I feel like the news was said to me in a gentle manner.
Same with all doctors and that is to ask a LOT of questions!
I felt like the clinic had our best interest at heart. I did not feel rushed in the appointments and they answered our questions thoroughly. They showed sincerity and empathy for what I have been through on this journey.
We prepped with birth control and lupron beforehand to suppress everything before I started. I am a high responder so he chose to use a menopur only cycle 225iu per night. We continued lupron though stims to prevent ovulation. For transfer only crinone vaginal cream twice daily.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
I primarily dealt with Katie and I loved her. She was very sweet and quick to respond to my emails and phone calls. IRH does NOT use a patient portal although Katie told me they were working on that and I still didnt feel a lack in communication there.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I think the clinic is wonderful. I feel like I was treated as a human being. I think they have great pricing in comparison to most of the clinics in this area. They truly want you to have success. I feel like they care more about you than their profit. I had no issues with billing or the nurse staff. The lab they work with Ovation is good too and treated my husband well for his analysis. The only thing I did not care for was the fact that they didn't notify me that I would be awake for egg retrieval. They don't use an anesthesiologist and the nurse administers your anesthesia. This wasn't how things were done at my previous clinic so I was taken off guard on retrieval day.
8200 self pay for IVF cycle which included a fresh transfer PGS, ICSI, FET was additional
I only had two embryos from this fresh cycle and I had two failed transfers previously so he recommended that we transfer both to increase our chances.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The main thing I had go wrong was that no one bothered to inform me that I would be awake during retrieval. I wasn't mentally prepared to be awake for that and to feel the pain that I felt during the surgery. I felt blindsided but they did apologize to me afterwards.
+ Read more- Read less

I would hear one thing from Dr. Scheiber and something different from the nurses - Which happened on multiple occasions....My biggest issue at the moment is my husband and I were thinking about if we should have genetic testing done. We don't want to keep transferring embryos if they're not good embryos.... We were told by Dr.Scheiber "There's no reason to test unless you have multiple failed transfers." Well we've had one fail and just started researching the idea of screening the other frozen embryos.
I feel like a number at IRH....a big freak out moment that could have been prevented was when I received my paperwork on my transfer day. There was a picture of my embryo that was transferred with the grading and my name on the form. But under "Date of birth" it stated a different date - not my birthday!... I call the clinic and the nurse tells me that's a default date of birth and to ignore it. My husband and I, as well as my parents, were so frustrated with this situation.
I feel as if IRH does not care to educate their patients or provide individualized information. They repeat the same responses over and over and don't seem to want to deviate from their "recommendation." If I don't come up with the question myself, there's no way the doctors, nurses, or billing will voluntarily give me any extra information I need or let me know what's going on with my body. I would hear one thing from Dr. Scheiber and something different from the nurses - Which happened on multiple occasions. I feel like since day one the lack of organization, incompetency, inconsistency in knowledge of anything in general (mostly from particular nurses) has been a negative experience. My biggest issue at the moment is my husband and I were thinking about if we should have genetic testing done. We don't want to keep transferring embryos if they're not good embryos. (I personally think this should be part of the IVF process in general, at least to transfer the best one's first, but that's just me.) Anyways, no one discussed the option of testing and the pros/cons of doing so during the IVF process and fresh transfer (yet we found out they advise testing on fresh rather than frozen). We were told by Dr.Scheiber "There's no reason to test unless you have multiple failed transfers." Well we've had one fail and just started researching the idea of screening the other frozen embryos. At my ultrasound on Monday, we asked what Dr.Scheiber thought about testing. He said, the same as before, "let's wait." Well, we called the day after my ultrasound and left a voicemail. A nurse called us back and said, "We don't do genetic testing on frozen embryos." I cannot believe they're just now telling me this. I've asked about testing my embryos multiple times and no mention of this. After a frustrating conversation, she got off the phone, talked to Dr.Scheiber and called me back saying, "Well, we can test them, but it's not advised." Moral of this particular story and situation is the inconsistent information from doctor to patient, to nurse to patient, and so on. This is a huge deal. Testing embryos is a newer procedure, so if that decision should've been made earlier on, they need to make sure that's a heavy conversation and discuss the options with their patients. Last week I spoke to the nurse manager and her answer to a question about my period was, "Well, that's like looking into a crystal ball." Are you kidding me? That's how an infertility clinic is talking to patients? It's already an emotional time, they are supposed to be the experts and professionals. Compassionate and knowledgeable. I'm having a very hard time processing my present situation. This grant could help me start my journey at a new facility and I would be over the moon to receive such a gift.
I would advise a new patient to ask him as many questions as possible and do not leave the appointment until he's answered everything as clear as possible and in as much detail as you need. Also, write everything down!
I feel like a number at IRH. Not necessarily or specifically from Dr. Scheiber, but from everyone as a whole. I feel rushed throughout my ultrasounds and doctor's visits. No one truly understands how they need to treat patients in that field at this institute.
I was on birth control for a couple weeks to stop my ovulation, then moved on to my injections to stimulate my ovaries, follicles and eggs. I was on Gonal-F 175 and Menopur 1 vial for 10 days. I added Cetrotide halfway through that, and my trigger shot Oviderel 26 hours or so before my egg retrieval. I didn't have to increase or decrease my dosages and my hormone levels adjusted as they were supposed to. We retrieved 17 eggs, 13 fertilized, 8 developed into embryos. I started vaginal progesterone supplements 3 times/day on the day of my egg retrieval. My fresh transfer was on day 5 blastocysts. I transferred 1 blast but received a negative pregnancy test two weeks later. Fast forward a couple months and I'm now scheduled for a frozen embryo transfer in two weeks! I'm on estrogen 3 times a day and I start Progesterone again 6 days before my FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Penny)
I included this information in previous answers.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Weaknesses: Organization skills (Outdated paperwork and forms), Statistical knowledge for individual's situations, Compassion Strengths: Doctors are professional, Nurse Katie is amazing, Institute's stats are high
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Ultrasounds ran smoothly. I was always able to get in and out.
We've gone through IVF with ICSI and have a FET scheduled and we've spent around $15,000.
Dr.Scheiber and every other doctor at IRH recommends and highly suggests 1 single embryo transfer for patients first and second transfer. I thought about transferring 2 on my first fresh transfer, but then decided to go with 1. I believe they allow it, but you must sign consent forms. I'm 75% sure I'm going to transfer 2 on my next transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Aside from information I've already provided, a big freak out moment that could have been prevented was when I received my paperwork on my transfer day. There was a picture of my embryo that was transferred with the grading and my name on the form. But under "Date of birth" it stated a different date - not my birthday! So I start crying and freaking out, thinking I have someone else's embryo inside of of me. I call the clinic and the nurse tells me that's a default date of birth and to ignore it. My husband and I, as well as my parents, were so frustrated with this situation. The nurse had an attitude on the phone, like this was a silly question of mine. That was an extremely scary moment! Why have "Date of birth" on your important embryo doctor's statement if they are not going to have the patients birthday on there?!? Wow.
+ Read more- Read less

During my initial consult he [Dr. Scheiber] was very thorough and detailed about our medical history and our plan. He can sometimes talk quickly leaving me with questions and not quite understanding everything. However, anytime this has happened I have had my questions answered promptly.... So far I have done three rounds of Femara, to help with follicle formulation and growth. From there I had follicle scans to determine when they were adequate size and mature enough to release the egg. After follicles were appropriate size I was given a trigger shit called Ovidrel to release the egg and cause me to ovulate.
They [Institute for Reproductive Health] are very thorough, professional, and personable. They give you price lists for treatment ahead of time so you are prepared. Never a long wait for appointments. I have not experienced any weaknesses that stick out at this time... Each IUI cycle has been approximately $1200 for me and then the cost of my husbands sperm washing which was $250... They have always been quick to return my calls, answer questions,
During my initial consult he was very thorough and detailed about our medical history and our plan. He can sometimes talk quickly leaving me with questions and not quite understanding everything. However, anytime this has happened I have had my questions answered promptly. I do feel that he is extremely knowledgeable and caring, especially in these situations.
Come prepared. Think of questions you may have and have any tests results or medical history available. This helps you get the most from your consult and future appointments.
He is very thorough but sometimes consults and appointments are quick and leave you with questions but he is always happy to deal with those if they arise.
So far I have done three rounds of Femara, to help with follicle formulation and growth. From there I had follicle scans to determine when they were adequate size and mature enough to release the egg. After follicles were appropriate size I was given a trigger shit called Ovidrel to release the egg and cause me to ovulate. Approximately 36 hours later I would go in to have my IUI. We started with IUI due to months of trying with timed intercourse and husbands low sperm account.
They have always been quick to return my calls, answer questions, and are very personable. Always pleasant and understanding.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
They are very thorough, professional, and personable. They give you price lists for treatment ahead of time so you are prepared. Never a long wait for appointments. I have not experienced any weaknesses that stick out at this time other than distance I have to travel but that is out of their control.
No comment at this time

Male Factor, Other
I feel that Dr Scheiber has a great deal of experience and is very knowledgeable. He tends to be more on the business side with the right amount of compassion. He is very detailed and I felt as if he gave me all my options at each step and made sure I knew what would be happening.... Now that I have miscarriage twice, Dr Scheiber plans on doing more in depth testing to see if there is potentially something wrong with me.
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health- Cincinnati] is very organized and has great practices set into place. The atmosphere is updated and nice and everything is done on site so the experience is easy. They call back quickly and are great at making sure your feel comfortable. The wait times for appointments are pretty much non existent. They are always ready for me at my appointment time.
Male Factor, Other
I would suggest to have a list of questions ready and now be afraid to ask all of them. Doctors are busy but don’t feel rushed. It’s your appointment.
Dr. Scheiber has always given me any information I needed and has always taken the time to listen and answer any questions or concerns I might have.
The reason my husband and I needed IVF was because of a failed vasectomy reversal and there was no signs that I had an fertility issues so our protocol was pretty simple. Low dosages and we were able to have a great egg retrieval. After the first fresh transfer I miscarried and knew of was semi normal for that to happen since we didn’t do any embryo testing. Now that I have miscarriage twice, Dr Scheiber plans on doing more in depth testing to see if there is potentially something wrong with me.
The nursing staff is amazing and knowledgeable. They take their time to answer any questions and return call quickly.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very organized and has great practices set into place. The atmosphere is updated and nice and everything is done on site so the experience is easy. They call back quickly and are great at making sure your feel comfortable. The wait times for appointments are pretty much non existent. They are always ready for me at my appointment time.
Ivf cycle with fresh transfer and medication roughly $14,000 (cash only) Frozen transfer with medication $5000 (cash only)
+ Read more- Read less

At my first appointment with Dr. Scheiber we sat down and he listened to my husband and I talk about the doctors we have been to, the miscarriages we have went through, the joy of finding out we were pregnant with our daughter, our pleads to help us conceive again, every emotion we were feeling he listened to. Dr. Scheiber wasn't in a rush to get to his next appointment, he really listened to us and helped us to feel better about the next stages for us to be able to conceive again. Doctor Nps
The nursing staff [at IRH] is great! Everytime I call with questions or concerns they always call me back quickly. They have communicated with the doctor when I had concerns that needed addressed...Everyone here has been very welcoming and warm to us. Their greatest strength has been communication. They are quick to return phone calls, or answer any questions you may have. The only weakness that I have experienced so far is that the location is a little busy. I drive over an hour to get there, and it is in a very busy area so plan for extra time if traveling from a distance.
Dr. Scheiber has been a great doctor for us! Before coming to Dr. Scheiber we had honestly almost given up on being able to have another child. We will be starting IVF with Dr. Scheiber next week, and though we know there isn't a guarantee that everything will work out, he has taught us that we have so many options and different ways for us to be able to have another child.
I will be starting IVF next week so I haven't started injections yet. Dr. Scheiber has had me taking birth control until my baseline appointment because I have PCOS, the birth control is being used to shrink any follicles before starting the injections.
The nursing staff is great! Everytime I call with questions or concerns they always call me back quickly. They have communicated with the doctor when I had concerns that needed addressed.
2012 - 2018
The first time he [Dr. Sherif Awadalla] had me on birth control before starting injection medication. I didn’t have as many eggs as he would like to have so he adjusted and took away the birth control. Then the third time he decided to add Femara. We did ICSI each time because we had male factor infertility and each time we put back 2 embryos.... He always answered any questions I had. Dr. Awadalla made sure to be gentle, and he personally would call me after treatments to find out how I was and or our next steps.
I rarely waited for any long length of time [at Institute for Reproductive Health- Cincinnati]. Even when I was taken to a room the doctor was always in pretty quickly. In order to call in to a nurse you had to leave a message but the call was always returned in a timely manner.... One nurse in particular was amazing. She comforted me when I needed it and gave me the information when I needed it. She was always understanding and even when I had what I thought was a silly request she was fine with what I needed.
2012 - 2018
I immediately felt like Dr. Awadalla was incredibly knowledgeable. I was put at ease because in my opinion he was trustworthy. My husband and I could always ask him any question. This was also how the other doctors in the office were.
I would say to trust Dr. Awadalla’s knowledge and process and know that he will do what is best for you.
The first time he had me on birth control before starting injection medication. I didn’t have as many eggs as he would like to have so he adjusted and took away the birth control. Then the third time he decided to add Femara. We did ICSI each time because we had male factor infertility and each time we put back 2 embryos.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I rarely waited for any long length of time. Even when I was taken to a room the doctor was always in pretty quickly. In order to call in to a nurse you had to leave a message but the call was always returned in a timely manner.
We did a money back guarantee. After we found out we qualified we did the guarantee that said if after 3 IVF fresh cycles and 3 frozen cycles we still didn’t have a baby we would get a percentage of our money back.
Dr. Awadalla made it clear it was our choice about how many embryos we transferred.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Burwinkel is more dry and matter of fact, but seems to be very caring. He is very open to answering all of your questions and talking through steps....He performed emergency surgery for an ovarian torsion caused by OHSS from the fertility drugs. He was kind and caring before surgery and at my follow up....I have lean PCOS and am very healthy and active. I had previously taken five rounds of unmonitored clomid with my gynecologist, and they did not show ovulation when looking at my basal body temperature.
There are three locations [Institute for Reproductive Health] and one is close to me. This one does not do procedures, but is there for blood work, ultrasounds, and follow ups. The clinic is small, but it is nice and clean and organized. The nurses who greet you are very welcoming and discreet.... Each ultrasound cost me $50 due to being coded as PCOS. Lab work for one cycle was $255 (not covered). My genetic test was covered due to meeting my deductible, but it would have cost me several hundred dollars.
Dr Burwinkel is more dry and matter of fact, but seems to be very caring. He is very open to answering all of your questions and talking through steps. We are just now starting the IVF process, but I have heard nothing but good things about him as a doctor from others who have successfully gone through IVF.
Know that he is very dry and matter of fact, but does seem to care for his patients and their success!
I have lean PCOS and am very healthy and active. I had previously taken five rounds of unmonitored clomid with my gynecologist, and they did not show ovulation when looking at my basal body temperature. Dr. Burwinkel suggested trying Letrozole and then Ovidrel to trigger ovulation along with timed intercourse for three months before moving on to IUI or IVF. During this first cycle with these drugs, he performed an emergency laparoscopy on me due to an ovarian torsion. He believes it was caused from the combination of infertility meds. He managed to save the ovary (it was twisted three times). He has me waiting two full cycles and then we are looking at IVF to hopefully be able to retrieve eggs from the ovary that was twisted and then remove it if it causes another torsion.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
There are three locations and one is close to me. This one does not do procedures, but is there for blood work, ultrasounds, and follow ups. The clinic is small, but it is nice and clean and organized. The nurses who greet you are very welcoming and discreet.
Each ultrasound cost me $50 due to being coded as PCOS. Lab work for one cycle was $255 (not covered). My genetic test was covered due to meeting my deductible, but it would have cost me several hundred dollars. My emergency surgery is costing me around 2000.

6 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Although it might not seem that always is the case he [Dr. Awadalla] really does want to do everything for you to have an outcome of a child. Remember to always ask questions he can be in and out and short but if you ask he’s definitely going to be straight with you. ... Unfortunately we did six rounds rounds of our UI ... sometimes I wish that we would’ve stopped with so many rounds and put that money toward her an IVF cycle
It would be nice if you worked with one nurse [Institute for Repro Health] or even two throughout your procedures ... Also the whole you have to call the nurses line leave a message and hope that you’re able to answer their call when they call back or else it’s like a game of tag for the rest of the day which is very nerve-racking at a time when your nerves are supposed to be not nerve-racking.
6 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Although it might not seem that always is the case he really does want to do everything for you to have an outcome of a child. Remember to always ask questions he can be in and out and short but if you ask he’s definitely going to be straight with you. I feel that the more questions you ask the better you’ll feel about everything and it helps keep your nerves calm during a very anxious roller coaster time in your life!
Ask lots of questions all avenues that you could possibly explore
I feel like it takes a minute for him to get to know you but he really does care and want you to succeed and having a child
Gosh it’s hard to remember we’ve been at this for so long but we started off with pills then shots in each are you why it got more aggressive with stronger doses more shots and we are now in the process of our first IVF treatment staying positive keeping fingers crossed
Never had the same nurse so really can’t describe them but as a whole seeing someone different each time is a little discouraging. Also the whole you have to call the nurses line leave a message and hope that you’re able to answer their call when they call back or else it’s like a game of tag for the rest of the day which is very nerve-racking at a time when your nerves are supposed to be not nerve-racking.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The communication there is so so sometimes I feel like we have been not on her priority list which plays with your emotions. Once again you need to be the person that asks lots of questions in order to get to the person you need to speak to to get things done it’s like every other person you feel is on your side and the other person is just doing their job. It would be nice if you worked with one nurse or even two throughout your procedures
Expensive! Unfortunately we did six rounds rounds of our UI is equaling three to $4000 each adds up very quickly sometimes I wish that we would’ve stopped with so many rounds and put that money toward her an IVF cycle

PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
He [Dr. Michael Scheiber] seems to share in our frustration that the process isn't working and we don't know why. He's also been very upfront with his recommendations. I really appreciate that he also gives levels of treatment. Everything from "the gold standard" to something a little less expensive but he still fully backs. Also - he understands my need to try to do every little thing to try to help the process along - so he was ready with recommendations for acupuncturists and supplements. I always feel like he's one step ahead.
PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I think that Dr. Scheiber is really a great doctor. There isn't much negative to say at all. He seems to share in our frustration that the process isn't working and we don't know why. He's also been very upfront with his recommendations. I really appreciate that he also gives levels of treatment. Everything from "the gold standard" to something a little less expensive but he still fully backs. Also - he understands my need to try to do every little thing to try to help the process along - so he was ready with recommendations for acupuncturists and supplements. I always feel like he's one step ahead.
Ask a LOT of questions and don't be worried if you think your question is stupid. He's had almost every question asked before and there isn't anything stupid you can ask. He is VERY patient and will say the same thing a few times if you need that.
Dr. Scheiber is really a fantastic doctor. He's incredibly kind, thoughtful, and careful with his exams and through the whole process. He somehow always remembers past conversations, and manages to smile and be encouraging even when things aren't going our way. He's also really great at giving you the full picture. He will tell you fairly clearly if there is a treatment that he doesn't like, or doesn't think you need.
This cycle is fairly similar to all my other cycles. He started me off with 14ish days of birth control ( to get control of the cycle), then a baseline scan, Then a few days of just gonal-f ( 200 units) and Menopur (one vial). After my second scan, cetrotide was added. I've had a couple scans since the addition of my cetrotide, and my gonal-f was bumped to 250 to try to encourage a bit more growth. I'm taking ovidrel for my trigger shot
The nurses at IRH are wonderful! They fully take the time to answer questions, or just listen to you talk if you need to. They are all on your team so much and it really shows
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
IRH is a great clinic with an excellent success rate! The offices are beautiful, clean, and very comfortable. The equipment also seems to be very up to date. The biggest negative about IRH is that when you call the IVF nurse line, you have to leave a message and wait for a call back. I understand that the volume of people they serve is huge and its impossible for them to take all the calls as they come in, but its VERY frustrating to have to wait for a call back for EVERY question. It would be nice if they could also provide an email or online chat for quick questions or verification.
I know the cost of medicine for my full ivf cycle is around $4,000. I don't remember the exact cost of the procedure as they are now covered by insurance. But I believe around $15,000
Usually Dr. Scheiber only does single embryo at a time. Mostly this is because a singleton pregnancy has fewer complications then multiples. If you are older or - like me- have had several unsuccessful cycles and/or chemical pregnancies etc...there is a case to be made for doing multiple. It seems like he's trying to make sure that as far as can be controlled - everything is smooth as can be
+ Read more- Read less

I know a lot of clinics want you at a specific BMI or weight before they even consider tresteing you, and I was worried about that the most before meeting Dr. Burwinkel but that definitely wasn’t the case! He had a game plan and we started treatment right away!...He knows this is hard, he gets it and he understands. He will hear you out and give you the answers you need!... always seemed to be able pick up right where we had left off from previous meetings and appointments. I never had to refresh his memory about previous discussions or treatments.
The nurses [at Institute for Reproductive Health] were very compassionate and understand of situations. They know why we’re there and they seem to care very much in making you comfortable and helping with your success in any way they can...The main negative with IRH to me was the fact that my doctor I was referred to, I only saw two-three times of the many appointments I had. I feel I’m not able to have as good of a relationship with one doctor because you don’t know which doctor you’re going to get that day for your visit or procedure (IUI in my case). I even had a nurse practitioner a couple of times because the clinic was double booked. I wasn’t happy I couldn’t build a closer relationship with the doctors since it feels like you’re always getting passed around.
European, East Asian
Dr. Burwinkel is one of the best doctors that I have ever had. He actually listens to what you have to say, and he doesn’t belittle or make you feel you’re questions or feelings are silly, stupid, or unimportant. He’s optimistic and has a great bedside manner and attitude. I was diagnosed with PCOS (before Dr. Burwinkel) and my weight is a problem resulting from my diagnosis. I know a lot of clinics want you at a specific BMI or weight before they even consider tresteing you, and I was worried about that the most before meeting Dr. Burwinkel but that definitely wasn’t the case! He had a game plan and we started treatment right away! I have nothing bad to say about Dr. Burwinkel! Every meeting I’ve had with him has been as perfect as I could imagine.
Don’t be afraid to ask your questions, no matter how silly or stupid you may think it is! He knows this is hard, he gets it and he understands. He will hear you out and give you the answers you need!
Dr. Burwinkle always seemed to be able pick up right where we had left off from previous meetings and appointments. I never had to refresh his memory about previous discussions or treatments.
With Dr. Burwinkle I was prescribed 1400mg of metformin daily. He then prescribed me to take 5mg (two pills) of letrozole on days 3-7 of my cycle. We then would schedule a scan to check follicle progress on day 11-13 of my cycle. Depending on the progress and maturation of the follicles, I was told when to take my ovidrel trigger shot to induce ovulation. 36 hours after the trigger shot we had our IUI. The first cycle I had one mature follicle and I took my trigger shot approx day 16-18 of my cycle. The second cycle I had to be prescribed more letrozole in the middle of my cycle due to my follicles not being as mature when the doctor wanted. I had to come back for a second scan and was given my trigger shot around day 18-19. The third cycle I had one good mature follicle, and a second one that may or may not have been mature by ovulation day. None of my cycles resulted in any type of pregnancy or success.
The nurses were very compassionate and understand of situations. They know why we’re there and they seem to care very much in making you comfortable and helping with your success in any way they can.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very organized. The whole staff is understanding and always in a pleasant mood. It’s a comfortable and inviting atmosphere. You can tell everyone enjoys their jobs and making a difference in people’s lives. The main negative with IRH to me was the fact that my doctor I was referred to, I only saw two-three times of the many appointments I had. I feel I’m not able to have as good of a relationship with one doctor because you don’t know which doctor you’re going to get that day for your visit or procedure (IUI in my case). I even had a nurse practitioner a couple of times because the clinic was double booked. I wasn’t happy I couldn’t build a closer relationship with the doctors since it feels like you’re always getting passed around.
Copay for appointments: $35 Sperm wash: $225 IUI procedure: $250 Ovidrel trigger shot: $95 Letrozole: $15

Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Awadalla has taken extremely good care of me during my treatment at IRH. He has always maintained a positive outlook for our eventual outcomes and is proactive in adjusting treatments based on the results of our previous cycles. His strengths lie in his knowledge and expertise in the fertility practice as well as his bedside manner....Dr. Awadalla is very pro-single embryo transfer and anti-multi embryo transfer except in special circumstances.
Due to the size of the clinic [Inst for Repro Health] and volume of patients, there are always going to be aspects where you are a number, such as scheduling, but they've done an excellent job setting up a system and as long as you understand the system, they will meet your expectations....Call System: Don't expect to get a live person on the phone when you call. Leave a detailed message with what you need and if you have time restrictions on when you can take their return call let them know. They call you back within 24 hours 99% of the time.
Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Awadalla has taken extremely good care of me during my treatment at IRH. He has always maintained a positive outlook for our eventual outcomes and is proactive in adjusting treatments based on the results of our previous cycles. His strengths lie in his knowledge and expertise in the fertility practice as well as his bedside manner. At times I did feel like he was trying to protect my feelings a little too much, which I appreciate, but being a person who requires lots of details and direct communication, it did sometimes leave me uncertain or with questions. However, once I was able to gather all of my questions, I was always able to get the answers and clarity I needed. I would most certainly recommend Dr. Awadalla to any patient as I feel like we are getting the best care possible with him and IRH.
Make sure to educate yourself and do not be afraid to ask questions, even if you call back after your appointment. They process a lot of patients at IRH but they are really great about taking the necessary time with you if you ask for it.
Due to the size of the clinic and volume of patients, there are always going to be aspects where you are a number, such as scheduling, but they've done an excellent job setting up a system and as long as you understand the system, they will meet your expectations. Dr. Awadalla does an excellent job making you feel like a human. He takes his time to talk to you and answers any questions you have in a compassionate and educated manner.
Cycle 1 - Femara, Ovidrel, Timed Intercourse - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 2 - Femara, Ovidrel,Timed Intercourse - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 3 - Femara, Ovidrel,Timed Intercourse - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 4 - Femara, Ovidrel, IUI - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 5 - Femara, Gonal F (Doses of 75iu to 150 iu), Ovidrel,IUI - Miscarriage, D&C, Genetic Testing showed Trisomy 22 Cycle 6 - Femara, Gonal F (Doses of 75iu to 150 iu), Ovidrel,IUI - Negative Prenancy Test Cycle 7 - Femara, Gonal F (Doses of 75iu to 150 iu), Ovidrel,IUI - Miscarriage, Cytotec Cycle 8 - Birth Control, Gonal F (Doses of 175iu), Cetrotide 25iu - Terminated Cycle due to poor follicle response Cycle 9 - CoQ10 & DHEA Supplements, Gonal F (Doses of 225 iu), Menopur 75iu, Cetrotide 25iu, Ovidrel - 6 Follicles, 3 Eggs Retrieved, 3 Eggs Mature, 3 Eggs Fertilized, 2 Embryos made it to Day 5 Blast and tested with PGS, 2 Abnormal Embryos (Trisomy 6, Trisomy 9) Cycle 10 - CoQ10, DHEA & Vitamin D Supplements, Gonal F (Doses of 250 iu), Menopur 75iu, Cetrotide 25iu, Ovidrel - TBD. Will do PGS Testing again if we have embryos to test.
The vast majority of the nurses are extremely well educated, compassionate, and very good with the patients. They've always taken time to answer my questions and they show tons of empathy in the difficult times. The head IVF Nurse Penny is absolutely incredible. I don't have enough words for how much she has helped in every aspect of our IVF process form ensuring we weren't billed too much to making sure the schedule works and answering every single question I had (or getting the answer from someone else if she didn't know). Believe me, I had a ton. There are a couple nurses (I don't know names) who I haven't meshed with all that well. I didn't necessarily take it as a reflection of their abilities, but rather that my communication style didn't mix well with theirs creating some confusion and anxiety on my end. However, overall that hasn't taken away from my experience in any way as there are tons of nurses there and they've always been awesome about referring me to another nurse if I had more questions or was worried about something. Don't be afraid to ask to talk to someone else!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Efficiency - They're a big clinic but they've got the process down to a science. Follow the process and you'll get what you need Compassion - The staff are extraordinarily compassionate. They care about your outcomes as much as you do. Knowledge/Expertise - IRH knows their stuff and does what they believe is in your best interest medically. Rotating Doctors: Don't go here and expect to have the same doctor every appointment. It's not possible. However, I will say that I have not had a bad experience with any doctor in the clinic. I feel 100% confident in the care and treatment I have gotten from each doctor there. Dr. Awadalla is my assigned doctor and he is wonderful. I have a particular soft spot for Dr. Burwinkle though as he's had to deal with some tough things with me through my treatment and he's a little more direct than Dr. A, which is good for my style. The other doctors are great too. Call System: Don't expect to get a live person on the phone when you call. Leave a detailed message with what you need and if you have time restrictions on when you can take their return call let them know. They call you back within 24 hours 99% of the time. Just follow the system.
Femara - Covered by insurance Ultrasound Scans about $300 per scan, covered by insurance IUI $250 plus cost of sperm washing (covered by husband's insurance) IUI Medications - Ordered through SMP Pharmacy $500 to $1.5K for Gonal F & Ovidrel IVF with PGS - $15,900.00 is their discounted rate and does not include medications or the PGS Testing Lab Fees (Ovation) PGS Testing Lab Fees - about $1,200 for a single cycle with 2 embryos tested, about $2200 for multi-cycle plan for up to 8 embryos tested IVF Medications - $2-5K for Gonal F, Cetrotide & Menopur per cycle
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Here's my recommendation for anyone going to IRH - Remember that you have ultimate control and decision-making authority when going through your treatment. IRH does a ton of work, but you have to do your part as well. Here are a few examples: (1) Medications - Follow up to make sure it gets sent to the pharmacy. If it doesn't, call back and make sure it gets sent. My most recent cycle, if I hadn't called to make sure it was sent, I would not have gotten my medication on time. (2) Treatments - The doctors tell you the treatment they recommend or suggest, but sometimes you have to go with what's best for you. For example, they like IVF better than Injections & IUI because the can control the outcomes better, but if IVF isn't in your budget, don't feel pressured to move to that treatment. After our Femara treatments, Dr. A recommended IVF, but we weren't yet ready to move to that treatment. So, we did a few cycles with Gonal F and IUI before moving to IVF. We eventually did move to IVF with PGS testing because we wanted to reduce the risk of miscarriage after I had 2. Another example would be during my IVF cycle, I didn't respond well to the injections and had a less than ideal follicle count. Dr. A advised us that many couples choose to pass on the PGS testing and do a fresh embryo transfer because of the inherent risk of walking away with nothing with the PGS testing, which is significantly more expensive. I was freaked out and worried for days, but went with my instincts to do the PGS testing anyway because my main goal was not to get pregnant, but to reduce the risk of miscarriage and get pregnant with a viable embryo. I'm glad I followed my instincts because both embryos ended up being abnormal. I know he was just making sure I understood all of my options, but it's important to evaluate what they're telling you against your own treatment objectives and desired outcomes. (3) Pay Attention - After my cancelled IVF Cycle due to poor response, we were getting ready to begin my 2nd cycle and the nurse pulled out my medication schedule from my first cycle. If I wouldn't have been paying attention, I would not have been taking the correct dose. Another example is from my 2nd IVF Cycle with PGS testing we were doing my pre-retrieval information review and the nurse advised us to have intercourse (big no-no with PGS testing). She was under the assumption that due to my less than ideal response we might do a fresh transfer (something I was adamant about not doing) so she started giving us instructions for that instead of PGS. I caught it but was really freaked out after that and asked to have another nurse review the information with me again. Bottom line, if something doesn't seem right or sound right, speak up and ask for clarification. They do the best they can to get you the best treatment they can, but it's also your responsibility to take charge of your care.

PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Burwinkel is definitely a straight shooter. He's not one for false promises of success or sugar coating a point. However, this doesn't mean he's without empathy. He's provided wonderful care through my unsuccessful pregnancies and has always given me clear next steps for things we'll try next time.... Dr. Burwinkel has typically made a lot of time to answer all of my questions, but sometimes is busy and clearly trying to get through his patient list as quickly as possible.
The biggest strength [Institute for Repro Health] is the people - everyone is so friendly that it really puts my mind at ease. But the biggest weakness is the telephone system. Being basic therapy and never being able to get through to an actual person is irritating. Running late for an appointment? There's no way to let the staff know.... Nursing staff actually seem to care about patients. I don't feel like "just another number" when I talk to them.
European, Other
PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Burwinkel is definitely a straight shooter. He's not one for false promises of success or sugar coating a point. However, this doesn't mean he's without empathy. He's provided wonderful care through my unsuccessful pregnancies and has always given me clear next steps for things we'll try next time. In 2018, we had success with his treatment and welcomed our daughter into the world.
Be completely honest about your history and situation in your consultation. He can't help to the best of his abilities without full and complete information.
Metformin for PCOS, folic acid/COQ-10 supplements for healthy eggs, Letrozole to boost egg health at time of ovulation, Ovidrel to stimulate ovulation. (RPL, basic therapy only)
Nursing staff actually seem to care about patients. I don't feel like "just another number" when I talk to them. They give the easiest and most painless blood draws I've ever experienced, and they actually seem interested in getting to know patients beyond what's on the chart.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The biggest strength is the people - everyone is so friendly that it really puts my mind at ease. But the biggest weakness is the telephone system. Being basic therapy and never being able to get through to an actual person is irritating. Running late for an appointment? There's no way to let the staff know. Trying to decide if you need to go to urgent care/ER or if you might be overreacting? Leave a message and they'll call back "sometime". Both of these are situations I've experienced and it has been incredibly frustrating each time. Being a non-IVF patient is like being a second class citizen - you're not really important in their grand scheme of things.
Do not remember all costs.

2013 - 2018
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The clinic [Institute for Repro Health] is organized, clean and runs well. The low-tech billing seems to happen very rapidly. The IVF billing seems to be delayed, which means a longer delay before I can check the claims status online with my insurance company.... Most of the nurses that I have dealt with have been wonderful. They are familiar with the treatment regimens and able to answer questions. When I did call to report a Day 1 and ask if we should continue with the same approach, the nurse I spoke to told me it was up to me.
2013 - 2018
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr Awadalla determined why I could not conceive (missed by my GYN) and recommended surgery, which he performed. I conceived naturally in 3 cycles after that. For TTC#2, I was older and he shared his concerns with the likelihood of success. Early IUIs were successful, but did not result in live births. After 10 total IUIs, my course of treatment was only adjusted because I asked if it made sense to continue or to look at other options. We have moved on to IVF, but it is still early in the first cycle. I find Dr A to be very accurate in his assessments and knowledgeable. I trust that I am in good hands, for as much as medical science can help me at my age.
Ask a lot of questions. Dr Awadalla is happy to explain the details to patients who are interested. Also ask at what point you should have a consult to evaluate the plans, so you know what to expect.
Dr Awadalla was honest with me and my situation at every step. He was compassionate when he delivered the news that I had miscarried.
TTC #1 (age 38): Dx: uterine fibroids, blocked Fallopian tube. Tx: Myomectomy, salpingectomy (tube could not be saved and was removed). Resulted in live birth, conceived naturally in 3 cycles. TTC #2 (age 41): DX: unexplained infertility (age). Tx: IUI with 5mg Femara CD 3-7. IUIs 1 and 4 resulted in pregnancy, but not live birth. Likely due to poor egg quality. Repeated for IUI 5-8 because successful getting pregnant, but waiting for a better quality egg. For IUI 9 and 10, added Follistim (IUI 9: CD 7-10, 50IU; IUI 10: CD 7-11, 100IU). BFN. Given option to select surgery to recheck remaining Fallopian tube or IVF. Started IVF. Currently on CD 9: 5mg Femara CD 3-7, Gonal-F 300IU CD5-10, Cetritide CD10, rest of days/dosage TBD.
Most of the nurses that I have dealt with have been wonderful. They are familiar with the treatment regimens and able to answer questions. When I did call to report a Day 1 and ask if we should continue with the same approach, the nurse I spoke to told me it was up to me. When I counted that I would like a recommendation from the experts, she continued to tell me that it was up to me. I had to push to have Dr Awadalla contacted to give input. When he called me, he actually had a different recommendation, so I felt validated in pushing. That has been the only interaction that I was not satisfied with, however.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is organized, clean and runs well. The low-tech billing seems to happen very rapidly. The IVF billing seems to be delayed, which means a longer delay before I can check the claims status online with my insurance company.
With insurance (assuming deductible was paid and yearly maximum for benefits not met), an IUI cycle was roughly $75 out of pocket, not including medications.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I believe there was one time that the clinic had not called in a prescription refill before I had contacted the pharmacy to order. However, I am not 100% sure that I recall this correctly!

3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Burwinkle is friendly and knowledgeable, but he also seems to be in a hurry, so when I ask questions I feel he is rushed....Dr. Burwinkel did my first DE transfer and explained what he was doing as he did it, but then I had some questions (as I was laying on the table) and he seemed in a hurry to get out of there. Just not as warm bedside manner as I experienced in the past at my previous clinic.... My first DE cycle (negative, currently on FET cycle). E2 3x a day and Prometrium 3x a day plus a low dose aspirin 1x a day.
Strengths: the lab [Institute for Reproductive Health] accepts frozen donor eggs, the nurses are very friendly and compassionate, it's conveniently located. Cons: I don't like the Dr.'s as much as the doctors at my previous clinic and their phone menu is long and confusing when you call in.... The only "failure" I had on the nurses part was that I was waiting for the results of my beta, and I had to call at the end of the day to get the results. The nurse who called back said that she was sorry that she had not called earlier with the results. Also, the bedside manner of Dr. Burwinkel is not as good as the Dr's at my old clinic.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Burwinkel is friendly, but not as attentive as I would like. Dr. Burwinkel did my first DE transfer and explained what he was doing as he did it, but then I had some questions (as I was laying on the table) and he seemed in a hurry to get out of there. Just not as warm bedside manner as I experienced in the past at my previous clinic.
Make sure you ask lots of questions, because you may not see him every visit. Make sure you have a clear understanding of where you are in your cycle and what comes next.
My first DE cycle (negative, currently on FET cycle). E2 3x a day and Prometrium 3x a day plus a low dose aspirin 1x a day. Dr. Burwinkel never explained to me the rationale. It was the nurses who gave me my treatment plan.
The nurses here are great, just as friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strengths: the lab accepts frozen donor eggs, the nurses are very friendly and compassionate, it's conveniently located. Cons: I don't like the Dr.'s as much as the doctors at my previous clinic and their phone menu is long and confusing when you call in.
My insurance covers some of the cost, and all of my claims are still currently pending, so I am not sure what I will need to pay out of pocket. One donor egg cycle is 16K, but I will be billed a reduced amount.
We only had two blasts from our first cohort of eggs, so we implanted one and froze the other. I recall telling the nurse that I only wanted one implanted, and she said that she will note that on my chart. So, I'm not sure how they feel about implanting two.

3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Treatment plans never changed [with Dr. Michael Scheiber], nor were any further tests recommended after several failed transfers. The only solution seemed to be to throw another complete round of donor egg ivf at us....For frozen embryo transfers 1-3, estrace was started at day 1, 3X per day. Progesterone was started 5 days before transfer. 1 early loss and 2 negatives. FET 4 was a “natural cycle” with with follicle monitoring. Once follicle was big enough, we did the trigger shot to release the egg. FET was then a week later. Progesterone was started 5 days before the transfer. Transfer resulted in a negative beta.
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] is very clean and professional. The front desk person was always friendly and helpful! The donor coordinator was so helpful during the whole process, making me feel very comfortable. The main drawback was feeling like a number in the clinic without getting any further testing that was requested.... The nurses were very knowledgeable and answered questions very thoroughly.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Appointments always felt very rushed. If I had questions during the appointment, he didn’t answer, but referred me to the nursing staff. When asking for further testing after an early loss, I felt treated as a child asking for a second piece of cake. Treatment plans never changed, nor were any further tests recommended after several failed transfers. The only solution seemed to be to throw another complete round of donor egg ivf at us.
Be very knowledgeable about treatment options and advocate for yourself! Be very blunt in asking for answers to any questions you may have!
explanations of treatments were never given. Monitoring visits were always very rushed, and when I asked questions during he would refer me to the nursing staff as if he couldn’t be bothered to answer.
The nurses were very knowledgeable and answered questions very thoroughly.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very clean and professional. The front desk person was always friendly and helpful! The donor coordinator was so helpful during the whole process, making me feel very comfortable. The main drawback was feeling like a number in the clinic without getting any further testing that was requested.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Medications were not ordered in a timely manner
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Burwinkel] did well in explaining the course of treatment, but when the course of treatment didn't work, we felt as if the course of treatment was never changed. MFI wasn't deeply explored or even suggested we should see a reproductive urologist, we took that initiative on our own. After the chemical pregnancy, we went back to our obgyn and she found that I had FVL and MTHFR as reasons why we could be miscarrying.
The misinformation [from Institute for Reproductive Health] occured when our second ivf cycle failed and the next steps that were suggested were to PGS with the next retrieval cycle. However, after our failed FET a year later the next steps weren't to use PGS testing, but instead we needed donor eggs to proceed with IVF. Nonetheless, a natural pregnancy occurred less then three months after the FET chemical pregnancy.
Dr. Burwinkel's strengths are he is very kind, his bedside manner is great. His cons are not taking time to explain why decisions would change so quickly. He did well in explaining the course of treatment, but when the course of treatment didn't work, we felt as if the course of treatment was never changed. MFI wasn't deeply explored or even suggested we should see a reproductive urologist, we took that initiative on our own. After the chemical pregnancy, we went back to our obgyn and she found that I had FVL and MTHFR as reasons why we could be miscarrying.
Ask lots of questions. Be educated on what options are available to you with all scenarios.
We felt like a number because information after our first failed IVF retrieval and transfer, completely changed from our chemical pregnancy FET a year later. After the chemical pregnancy only, it was mentioned that we needed to consider donor eggs, yet went on two months later to conceive naturally.
IUIs- Femara with Ovidrel trigger shot Retrieval #1- BCPs, Gonal F, cetrotide, ovidrel trigger Retrieval #1- Gonal F, Cetrotide, Menopur, Ovidrel trigger FET- Estradiol orally, prometrium vaginally
The nursing staff was great. They were a big part of the reason we stayed there for 2.5 years.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Overall, I think the clinic is great. However, it would be nice to have a specific nurse in the clinic assigned to your case. Given the size of their practice this would be hard. Regardless, the nurses I saw from education days, IUIs, retrievals, and transfers were wonderful.
Our first two cycles we were blessed with insurance coverage, however our copay on each cycle was 1,000. Medications for the two cycles ran us 7,000. FET cost us 4,500, medications were covered under insurance.
IVF #1- single embryo transfer at age 29 IVF #2- double embryo transfer at age 30 FET- single embryo transfer, only had one embryo left
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The misinformation occured when our second ivf cycle failed and the next steps that were suggested were to PGS with the next retrieval cycle. However, after our failed FET a year later the next steps weren't to use PGS testing, but instead we needed donor eggs to proceed with IVF. Nonetheless, a natural pregnancy occurred less then three months after the FET chemical pregnancy.
+ Read more- Read less

I believe Dr Awadalla is a very intelligent and caring Dr, who’s very experienced. That being said, I think he thought my case was an open and shut case- he didn’t find the need to have my husband tested. We went through 2 rounds of timed intercourse, until I asked about getting my husband tested— which resulted in low count, so we were only eligible for IUI, I felt like we wasted time and expenses. Most appointment are short and he rushes in and out, I always have to ask the nurses what’s going on after. Our next round is IVF, and he has yet to explain the procedure and process.
Phone system [at IRH] is stressful for the patient, it’s really hard to get a hold of an actual person. No one ever goes over finances for procedures other than IVF. They send everything to insurance, so bills come in randomly. Everyone is super nice! Always with a smile on their faces!... In office the nurses were very helpful, they explained everything with great care and always with a smile. To get ahold of them out of office is very difficult, always playing phone tag. A couple times, I was so stressed because I wasn’t able to get ahold of them, and needed a refill of meds I needed to start that day.
Ask lots of questions. Research procedures, medications, ahead of time so you can get the information he might not tell you.
Most times he was rushed, went through injection times very quickly. The first cycle with IUI, his nurse asked is the NP in could complete the procedure because he was busy.
Diagnosed with PCOS: Peometrium to jump start my cycle. Day 3-7 femora to stimulate maturation Day 10 ultrasound (On all five of my cycles, I had to redose femora due to follicles not responding). Ovidrel shot to induce ovulation Timed intercourse/IUI once follicles we’re 12-20mm.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Phone system is stressful for the patient, it’s really hard to get a hold of an actual person. No one ever goes over finances for procedures other than IVF. They send everything to insurance, so bills come in randomly. Everyone is super nice! Always with a smile on their faces!
Currently, we’re are around $10k.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Prescriptions were really hard to relay to my pharmacy. I had to be redosed every cycle- sometimes they forgot to call in, or my new cycle started on a weekend and I could get a hold of them.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Scheiber remembered specific details about our case. He personally called back when I would call to leave a message...He took the time to explain everything in ways we could understand. He listened patiently while we spoke. I felt comfortable talking with him and he made sure we covered every question on my list before ending our visit. He didn’t rush through any ultrasound, consult, phone conversation. The ONLY thing that frustrated me was that I didn’t see Dr. Scheiber throughout my entire IVF cycle. His partnering doctors would sometimes do my ultrasounds, egg retrieval, etc.
The nurses [at IRH[ were absolutely wonderful. I fell in love with many of them. They were the last people you saw before leaving the clinic and there were many times I had to stop at the checkout desk and just cry. They were compassionate, helpful, empathetic and truly became my friends along the way...My total cost for our IVF cycle was $9300. That included ICSI...The clinic is big, beautiful, and my favorite part was that it was filled with positive affirmations. There were quotes on the walls, bible verses strategically placed. The decor was subtle and calming. No weaknesses about the clinic. I was a patient and 3 fertility clinics and this one was by far the nicest.
Dr. Scheiber was extremely informative and detailed. He took the time to explain everything in ways we could understand. He listened patiently while we spoke. I felt comfortable talking with him and he made sure we covered every question on my list before ending our visit. He didn’t rush through any ultrasound, consult, phone conversation. The ONLY thing that frustrated me was that I didn’t see Dr. Scheiber throughout my entire IVF cycle. His partnering doctors would sometimes do my ultrasounds, egg retrieval, etc.
Show up with a list of all of your questions. He will answer them all.
For my IVF cycle, I was on 5 weeks of birth control (the long length of time was due to an ovarian cyst we were waiting to dissolve). My stimulation protocol required 300mg Follistim, 75mg Menopur, and 1 syringe of Ganirelix beginning on day 5. The results didn’t yield exactly what we had hoped. I was on stims for 11 days, and they retrieved 3 eggs. After my egg retrieval I began 300mg of Endometrin daily.
The nurses were absolutely wonderful. I fell in love with many of them. They were the last people you saw before leaving the clinic and there were many times I had to stop at the checkout desk and just cry. They were compassionate, helpful, empathetic and truly became my friends along the way. I couldn’t have made it through this without the nurses. They were wonderful.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
My total cost for our IVF cycle was $9300. That included ICSI. Our medication was ordered through MDR pharmacy and the total for that was $2800. Our consultation with Dr. Scheiber was $166.
Dr. Scheiber put both of my 2 embryos back in on day 2. They were healthy but given the fact that I only had 2, Dr. Scheiber said they were better off in me than in a lab. This gave us a higher chance of blastocysts.

2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
[Dr. Awadalla] needs to slow down and explain in more detail such as the egg quality and everything seen on the ultrasound and this is also were he needs to slow down! Very knowledge of this area of medicine and was so great with my Miscarriage and performing my d &c . I wish he performed more of my procedures since he is my main doctor but I do understand that we have to see all doctors and the busy schedule. Dr A is very well known for his expertise and I very much trust him and his opinion
The staff [Inst for Repro Health] are so great and know you by name . Always there to answer questions however I would say it would be nice to get to talk to someone when you call inst ad of leaving a message but they do return your call the same day and always there to answer questions! I absolutely love the staff at Irh would remmond to anyone and have sent two friends to them... I can’t say enough great things about the nursing staff they truly do care and take pride in what they do and actually get to know you and your story !
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
He needs to slow down and explain in more detail such as the egg quality and everything seen on the ultrasound and this is also were he needs to slow down! Very knowledge of this area of medicine and was so great with my Miscarriage and performing my d &c . I wish he performed more of my procedures since he is my main doctor but I do understand that we have to see all doctors and the busy schedule. Dr A is very well known for his expertise and I very much trust him and his opinion
Trust the process and be patient and make sure you ask questions and make sure to to tell him to slow down and explain everything! Write everything down and leave knowing what the best steps are
I feel that the nurses and staff were so compassionate and amazing. Dr A was very positive throughout the miscarriages and also kept us feeling like we could /can make this a positive pregnancy! He does need to slow down at times and explain more detail information
I have done 2 ivf cycles and I will admit the shots were hard but they make me stronger as a person ! My first cycle I got pregnant the first time and then lost my baby at around 8 weeks ( was at my graduation appointment and the baby had no heartbeat) then had to have a d&c which dr a did. Then two frozen cycles one negative and one positive pregnancy which resulted in another miscarriage at 5 weeks . Currently one second ivf cycle drag transfer was a negative and currently doing a frozen cycle keeping fingers crossed for positive and a healthy baby and pregnancy. We also did isci for all and this time will be doing assisting hatching husband has low sperm count. They did up my meds second cycle and my body responded very well and had a great egg retrieval
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Ivf nurse staff)
Amazing I can’t say enough great things about the nursing staff they truly do care and take pride in what they do and actually get to know you and your story ! Always have me hope and made me feel so great and got me through some really hard times that I will never forget
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The staff are so great and know you by name . Always there to answer questions however I would say it would be nice to get to talk to someone when you call inst ad of leaving a message but they do return your call the same day and always there to answer questions! I absolutely love the staff at Irh would remmond to anyone and have sent two friends to them
Very nice expensive but do get self payment discount due to insurance coverage. Have to pay before any cycle no payment plan by schedule
First ivf and fresh suggested only one which we did and after that we have done two and he has been supportive and acknowledges our wishes
+ Read more- Read less

His [Dr. Michael Scheiber] knowledge would be his strength. He has been doing this for awhile. He was not very warm and inviting for being in this line of practice. There was not much talking or communication during visits. He appeared to be very busy so would get in do what needed to be done and leave. After being unsuccessful with IUI and having to meet with him about the next steps I felt like he did not provide enough information on all of our options and was purposely leading us towards IVF.
The clinic’s [Institute for Reproductive Health- CIncinnati] staff was very good. It takes a day or so for them to reach out to you for the first appointment and if you want a certain doctor you could wait awhile to be seen. Otherwise, very responsive, friendly, and knowledgeable... Office visit 125.00 Ultrasound 225.00 Blood draw 10.00 Follicle puncture/Oocyte retrieval 1,500.00 Oocyte identification 2,300.00 Oocyte Insemination 2,000.00 Embryo culture 3,200.00 Embryo transfer lab fees 2,400.00
His knowledge would be his strength. He has been doing this for awhile. He was not very warm and inviting for being in this line of practice. There was not much talking or communication during visits. He appeared to be very busy so would get in do what needed to be done and leave. After being unsuccessful with IUI and having to meet with him about the next steps I felt like he did not provide enough information on all of our options and was purposely leading us towards IVF.
Ask lots of questions and research yourself on treatment options
They we were talked to
We started with oral medication. 4x no results Then IUI 4x No results Then IVF 1st cycle with Birth control, Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Ovidrel and Endometrin 2 embryos transferred Chemical pregnancy 2nd IVF cycle but with ICSI same medications 1 embryo transferred had a child in February 2017
The nursing staff was very friendly. The nurses always asked how you were doing and made you feel comfortable. They answered all questions that I asked of them.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic’s staff was very good. It takes a day or so for them to reach out to you for the first appointment and if you want a certain doctor you could wait awhile to be seen. Otherwise, very responsive, friendly, and knowledgeable
They had a preference of doing only 2 at the most per transfer. The second time only one was transferred at our preference.

Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I owe my chance at becoming a mother to Dr. Burwinkel. From our first visit he treated myself and my husband with respect and always gave us the most honest information. He never promised that he would make me a mother, but told me that he would do anything to help me become one. He answered every question that I had, and I had a lot of them. Every treatment was fully explained. I never felt as if I was unaware of what was happening to my body. He was compassionate with each loss that we experienced and gave us the facts each time there was a setback. When we were finally able to have a full term pregnancy and I gave birth to my little boy in April 2018.
I love the IRH nursing staff. They showed as much compassion as the doctors do. Many times I saw the nurses more often, due to blood draws. They are just as informed as the doctors and always answered any questions that I had.... Every time I walked into IRH, I felt as if people knew who I was. There was a receptionist who greeted us upon entry. We never had a long wait time in the waiting room, they valued our time as employed adults.
Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Do your own research and never be afraid to ask questions.
Every time I walked into IRH, I felt as if people knew who I was. There was a receptionist who greeted us upon entry. We never had a long wait time in the waiting room, they valued our time as employed adults. Dr. Burwinkel and staff always greeted us by name and remember what it was that we were here for. He celebrated with us in successful treatment and mourned with us with each loss of pregnancy.
I took Letrozole (similar to Clomid), we did the injection to release my eggs and then did IUI. I had four rounds of IUI. Two resulted in miscarriages and one was a viable pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
IRH has no weaknesses. I would, and have, recommended IRH to anyone who is going through fertility problems. I never had an issue with scheduling or appointments. The wait time in the waiting room and the treatment room was minimal. My husband and I were very lucky to be able to cover the cost of our fertility treatments; however, I know that they are great with working with families on payment plans if they cannot cover the cost at once.
Fertility treatment is not cheap. Each round of IUI cost about $900 including pills, shots, doctor appointments, and procedures. In addition to the IUIs, I had to have laparoscopic surgery for the chemical pregnancy and a D&C for the miscarriages. Each of these procedures was an additional cost.

2014 - 2018
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. scheiber helped me understand fully everything that would be done and was so positive through our entire process. He never once made me feel like our IVF wasn’t going to work. He was always very upfront and honest but also caring and helpful at the same time.... I was on stims like most and our first cycle was cancelled because I had one follicle taking over on one side. He cancelled and started a new protocol that worked better for me. We ended up with 6 eggs and 3 fertilized. The first two were transferred and we were pregnant but miscarried and the last egg was put in from frozen and we became pregnant again. She is 3 years old and the best blessing ever!
I have to say this clinic [IRH-Cincinnati] is great so no negatives to note. Very professional and courtesy as well as caring staff. They always make you feel welcome and have never made us feel unwelcome or a bother to them.... Nursing staff had always been pleasant to work with. They are compassionate and always get back to you in a timely manner.... For self pay we paid around $20,000 in 2014 with meds and all. This included a failed cycle and a full IVF cycle then our last egg was frozen which resulted in a baby girl. We now have insurance and it’s nice that they have a global with our insurance because that helps a lot!
2014 - 2018
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
He’s the best! There isn’t anyone better! We made the mistake of seeing another RE (because we thought it would be cheaper) and have since went back to him!
Dr. Scheiber always put my feelings first and was very understanding with my problems and what I was going through. He is a very caring doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I have to say this clinic is great so no negatives to note. Very professional and courtesy as well as caring staff. They always make you feel welcome and have never made us feel unwelcome or a bother to them.
I agree with whatever he thinks is the best.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Awadalla was so warm. He always seems excited to see me. He is open and direct, while also taking emotions into account... I have PCOS. I took progestin to induce a period and then took Femara for (I believe) about a week. Then I went in for an ultrasound to determine if my follicles were ready. As they were, that night my husband gave me a triggering shot in the thigh and the next morning we went to the Cincinnati office to collect my husbands sample and complete the IUI.
Both the Cincinnati and Florence locations of the clinic [IRH] are clean and organized. The Cincinnati location in particular is actually quite beautiful! The environment is warm and professional, with elegant furniture and a clean space.... The nursing staff is always friendly and knowledgeable. Prior to conceiving my first born, they always showed compassion and interest. Once I had conceived, before being released to my OBGYN, the nurses were always quick and happy to answer the many questions I had and to offer comfort and understanding for my concerns.
Dr. Awadalla is wonderful: he is both kind and extremely knowledgeable. My experience conceiving my first son was vastly different from attempts with a previous doctor. I felt Dr. Awadalla was taking care of me and my family rather than just trying to help us get pregnant.
GO FOR IT!
Dr. Awadalla was so warm. He always seems excited to see me. He is open and direct, while also taking emotions into account. Our whole infertility experience changed when we went into his office.
I have PCOS. I took progestin to induce a period and then took Femara for (I believe) about a week. Then I went in for an ultrasound to determine if my follicles were ready. As they were, that night my husband gave me a triggering shot in the thigh and the next morning we went to the Cincinnati office to collect my husbands sample and complete the IUI. We found out several weeks later that we were pregnant with our son. We are now preparing to attempt baby number two and will follow the same process, minus the progestin as I have had a period since I stopped breastfeeding my son.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Both the Cincinnati and Florence locations of the clinic are clean and organized. The Cincinnati location in particular is actually quite beautiful! The environment is warm and professional, with elegant furniture and a clean space.

PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr. A[wadalla] gave me the options that I needed, a box of Kleenex, and let me cry in his office until I was ready to leave. He has also called me himself, and asked me not to give up because the embryos we have now are high quality, and he believes that we will have a healthy pregnancy...He has always called me by my first name, and he doesn't have to look at my chart to remember my history.
When I have called [the nurses at Institute for Reproductive Health], and been sent to voicemail they always have called me back in a timely fashion, and any paperwork that I have needed has also been sent quickly...The nursing staff works very hard, yet they always have a smile on their faces. When we received that dreaded phone call that says "I'm so sorry, but your test was negative," the nurses were compassionate, and disappointed along with us. You can just tell that phone call is one that they absolutely do not like making. It is not routine to them.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Awadalla has great bed side manners, patience, and compassion for his patients. He gives time to explain what needs to be explained, and questions that need to be answered. He also abides by our wishes. I have a very short stature, one of the first things that I told Dr. A was that I was not ok transferring more than two embryos. Dr. A completely understood, and actually the clinics policy is to only transfer one or two embryos.
I would tell a prospective patient to be ready. Dr. A and his team are on it. It's a tough journey, but it can also be a quick journey. After meds, and cycles are figured out its a whirl wind from there. Everything with fertility has to be timed just right, and from my experiences Dr. A has timed it just right. I would also tell them to listen to the doctors, they know what they are doing.
He has always called me by my first name, and he doesn't have to look at my chart to remember my history. When we did get pregnant, and we went for the first ultra sound he asked us to come to his office, told us delicately that we would only have a 50% chance to carry the baby because of a small sack. After the second ultrasound he said "go ahead get dressed, and meet me in my office." I told Dr. A that I didn't want to meet in his office because last time we didn't get good news. He complied, let me get dressed, and he came back into our room. We found out that the baby had a heart beat, but the sack was just getting smaller. Dr. A then gave us a 25% chance. He let us come back for a third ultrasound. and that's when we found out that the baby no longer had a heartbeat. Dr. A gave me the options that I needed, a box of Kleenex, and let me cry in his office until I was ready to leave. He has also called me himself, and asked me not to give up because the embryos we have now are high quality, and he believes that we will have a healthy pregnancy.
Both my cycles have been very similar. I have started off with about 17 days of birth control. I was then off three days, and than I started injections for 10 days. I had injected Gonal F, Menopur, and Centrotide. I can't remember which injection out of the three, but he only added it during my second cycle. After that, I had taken my trigger shot. He also had me taking Estrodial and Progesterone. I was taking those two even after my transfer.
The nursing staff works very hard, yet they always have a smile on their faces. When we received that dreaded phone call that says "I'm so sorry, but your test was negative," the nurses were compassionate, and disappointed along with us. You can just tell that phone call is one that they absolutely do not like making. It is not routine to them. When I have called, and been sent to voicemail they always have called me back in a timely fashion, and any paperwork that I have needed has also been sent quickly.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The strengths I would hit on when I talked to a new patient would be about waiting. I would tell the patient that the wait time is not long. They get us in and out in a timely manner. I would also tell them that their opinions do matter, and their wants also matter to this medical team. The weakness that would hit on would be about awkward situations. Fertility procedures can get awkward. This is something that they do every day, not much can surprise them. An example, when my husband went in to give a sample of his sperm, we were taken back when the nurse asked, "Would your wife like to join you." Yes we are all adults, but that was just not something that we thought would be asked or even thought about. To them though, it happens, and its ok.
I don't remember the full cost, but I believe around $8200 for a fresh cycle, and $7000 for a frozen cycle.
The Cincinnati of Reproductive Health approach on multiple embryo transfer is most usually only two at the most, but from my experience if the embryos are high quality they only like to transfer one.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Scheiber] is a wonderful doctor and person. I don't think the reason we have been unsuccessful is his fault. I wish we hadn't rushed into IVF, but he did feel that my age was a bigger factor than I feel it is. He is warm and caring but he is very by the book and often hesitates to change protocols. But he knows what he is doing. He has been in the business a very long time.... We started out with Letrozole, which I did respond to, but I was not conceiving. We moved onto Letrozole with Trigger Shot and IUI, and I still was not successful. I took a break for a few months and then did IVF.
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] is very nice. They have a few satellite offices that really help since Greater Cincinnati is so big. They have recently added a nurse practitioner who is able to help with some appointments which makes wait times better and scheduling easier. I know they often have support group nights but I have never attended.... My appointments were scheduled within the monitoring window and it worked out well.
He is a wonderful doctor and person. I don't think the reason we have been unsuccessful is his fault. I wish we hadn't rushed into IVF, but he did feel that my age was a bigger factor than I feel it is. He is warm and caring but he is very by the book and often hesitates to change protocols. But he knows what he is doing. He has been in the business a very long time.
Understand that he is a human doctor, not god. He has limitations and nothing is guaranteed. Know that he is always willing to sit down and talk to you, just make sure you call and schedule the time for the sake of his time and yours.
Most of the time I completely felt like a human but there were a few times that it was so busy that I could tell I was being rushed through.
We started out with Letrozole, which I did respond to, but I was not conceiving. We moved onto Letrozole with Trigger Shot and IUI, and I still was not successful. I took a break for a few months and then did IVF. We did this because I was approaching age 35. 8 eggs were retrieved and we ended up with 3 embryos. My first transfer was fresh and it ended in a Chemical Pregnancy. I took a break for several months before I transferred a frozen embryo but that failed. Right now we are just waiting before we do anything else because of finances.
They were always very warm and caring. They work very hard. Sometimes it would take awhile to hear back but that is only because they are busy with their patients in the office too.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very nice. They have a few satellite offices that really help since Greater Cincinnati is so big. They have recently added a nurse practitioner who is able to help with some appointments which makes wait times better and scheduling easier. I know they often have support group nights but I have never attended. My biggest suggestion would be for them to have an actual counselor on site who is able to help couples mentally and emotionally prepare. It is by far the scariest and hardest thing I ever had to go through and I felt like I was just winging it so much of the time. Someone like this or even information on resources that people can reach out to on their own would be a giant help. All of the doctors are really great. I can't speak for any other clinics, but overall I have been very happy with Dr. Scheiber and IRH. We are just still waiting for our happy ending. Sadly, a lot of times things just come down to finances and that is just a sad fact of life in this country.
Pretty efficient. I definitely never waited in line or anything like that. My appointments were scheduled within the monitoring window and it worked out well.
I know our insurance helped cover our inseminations, so I can't remember the cost of those. I believe our fresh IVF cycle was $9000 and my frozen cycle was $4500, not including meds.
Dr. Scheiber always let me choose. He is very pro eSET, which makes a lot of sense. Financially, I see why people often transfer more than 1, but eSET is the safest option for the health of the babies should you conceive so that is what we always did.

3 IUI, IVF
Dr.A looks at patient history and determines the best course of treatment. He does not just recommend things to make money. He told me it’s nlt necessary to do PGS and that he wants IVF to be affordable. He is compassionate and explains things when asked questions. After my negative Beta he called me to talk to me and I truly appreciated it because it was a Saturday...He is compassionate and monitored me during my cycle closely and I felt I received good care that put me at ease. I highly recommend him.
The doctors and nurses [at Institute for Reproductive Health] are compassionate. The most difficult part is working with the business office for payments and getting questions answered. They hardly return calls in a timely manner. I felt they could explain the embryo transfer decisions in advance to coming in on transfer day and letting you know if you do or don’t need ICSI it egg hatching... they give a discount if it’s self pay.
3 IUI, IVF
Dr.A is great at answering questions or concerns so make a list and ask him at appointments.
Dr.Awadalla is a very knowledgeable and caring Doctor. Although my IVF cycle didn’t yield the positive test I dreamed of, I am ready to try again if I had the money. He is compassionate and monitored me during my cycle closely and I felt I received good care that put me at ease. I highly recommend him.
I was precribed follistim and ganirelex and trigger shot, Prior to that I was started on birth control.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Katie )
The nurse at my retrieval was gentle and caring and put me at ease.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The doctors and nurses are compassionate. The most difficult part is working with the business office for payments and getting questions answered. They hardly return calls in a timely manner. I felt they could explain the embryo transfer decisions in advance to coming in on transfer day and letting you know if you do or don’t need ICSI it egg hatching.
I was self pay and they give a discount if it’s self pay.
Although I wanted 2 transferred, Dr.A only recommended one and explained the risks of two.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The business office is difficult to reach. Other than that the clinic is great!

1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
On our first day one one D.R. Schiber had us down for an IUI when we have to do IVF, we were prescribed the wrong medicine and 2 months lost.... We never had a follow up call after our one embryo arrested. I had to follow up and wait two more months for another ‘consultation.... We never felt like Dr Schiber truly knew who we were and he was very quick during office visits. We never felt like we had a chance to ask him questions & felt as if we were a bother to him.
The clinic [Institute for Repro Health] was clean and support staff was great. Be prepared for several canceled appointments due to scheduling issues on their part... The nurses were kind and patient but we had many scheduling mistakes. On more than 3 occasions we had to change appointment times because of a scheduling conflict on their end. They also wrote down a protocol completely wrong & scratched out everyone to rewrite it after we pointed out their mistake.
European, Latino
1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Several miscommunication errors. On our first day one one D.R. Schiber had us down for an IUI when we have to do IVF, we were prescribed the wrong medicine and 2 months lost. (Travel following month). Once we started our IVF cycle we were anticipated to get 4 eggs but only retrieved one. We did know that there was this possibility but we never got a clear answer of why. The retrieving doctor (Dr Awadalla) told us something different from Dr Schiber. Dr Schiber said he would get back to us after discussing with Dr Awadalla but that never happened. We never had a follow up call after our one embryo arrested. I had to follow up and wait two more months for another ‘consultation. Our next IVF cycle was canceled due to inconsistent growth. Following the canceled cycle we decided to go with donor embryos. Our nurse practitioner told us that the quality of the two donor embryos was good & great. Once I received my medical records from the Institute for Reproductive Health it showed that the embryos were actually rated good & poor. The donor cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy and once my beta numbers dropped I never received a call from the doctor. I even went in with terrible left side pain and never received a call following up with me. We have very specific fertility problems yet didn’t feel like we were on a tailored plan. I left the practice and found that my next doctor did throughout testing before starting an IVF cycle with us. We felt as if they just wanted out money and did not truly care if it worked for us, especially since we would never receive a call when each cycle did not result in a pregnancy. We never felt like Dr Schiber truly knew who we were and he was very quick during office visits. We never felt like we had a chance to ask him questions & felt as if we were a bother to him.
Ask questions even if you feel rushed and educated yourself before your visit. You know your body best and if you have specific concerns do your best to be heard.
Never present, never remembered us.
Antagonist - Femara, 75 Menopur/200 Gonal F adding certrotide. Canceled cycles was a Microdose Lupron flare.
The nurses were kind and patient but we had many scheduling mistakes. On more than 3 occasions we had to change appointment times because of a scheduling conflict on their end. They also wrote down a protocol completely wrong & scratched out everyone to rewrite it after we pointed out their mistake. Another big reason you should educate yourself. My husband has very low spent count so we wanted to freeze a few vials to be safe before egg retrieval. There was a miscommunication there & they were never frozen so he had to go back in. We were 100% out of pocket so taking time off of work & scheduling these appointments was very hard for us.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was clean and support staff was great. Be prepared for several canceled appointments due to scheduling issues on their part, we had about 5. Ask all of the questions and do your own research.
9500 for full IVF cycle not including Medication. 4500 for donor embryo transfer.
We did not make it this far with our own embryos and we had to transfer the two donor at the same time because they were frozen together.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
When our only egg didn’t fertilize the doctors didn’t reach out for a follow up, we had to and then was put on a 2 month wait for that appointment. No doctors called after our embryo transfer turned into a chemical either. We felt like they just took our money and didn’t care if it worked or why it didn’t. There were two appointments we paid for (and took off work for) that we had to redo because of their mistakes, had us down for IUI on day one, needed IVF; husband needed his sperm to be frozen but they threw it out. The worst part of all of the SEVERAL mistakes was that we were told our donor embryos were good & great but once we got our records we saw that they were rated good & poor.
+ Read more- Read less

Although he [Dr. Burkinkel] is surely a well educated and competent RE, he lacks a degree of compassion or at least how to convey this. I question the degree of individuality considered in my protocol and counseling prior to the egg retrieval. Also, when I had no viable embryos after day 5, there was no follow up visit or trouble shooting for a second attempt. ... It would have been helpful to have an in person follow up to discuss what options existed.
They [Institute for Reproductive Health] are quick to start treating and to start treatment. However, in some cases, a more thorough and thoughtful approach is more valuable than timeliness. ...It is very busy clinic, and I felt like I was lost in the shuffle, when I did not have favorable results. ... For preretrieval ultrasound and retrieval it was roughly $8k.
Although he is surely a well educated and competent RE, he lacks a degree of compassion or at least how to convey this. It is very busy clinic, and I felt like I was lost in the shuffle, when I did not have favorable results.
You’d have to be your own advocate and know your own process. I’m sure he can construct a protocol and execute it.
I question the degree of individuality considered in my protocol and counseling prior to the egg retrieval. Also, when I had no viable embryos after day 5, there was no follow up visit or trouble shooting for a second attempt. At the time, I was in disbelief that we did not have anything to show from the cycle and couldn’t process everything. It would have been helpful to have an in person follow up to discuss what options existed.
I cannot recall exact dosages, but I believe pretty standard protocol for egg retrieval.
Penny was very honest, informative and well organized. She was attentive and very good about addressing questions and concerns.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I believe a very high success rate. Many of my friends have had good luck with this clinic. They are quick to start treating and to start treatment. However, in some cases, a more thorough and thoughtful approach is more valuable than timeliness.
For preretrieval ultrasound and retrieval it was roughly $8k.
I did not make it to a transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The stimulation and retrieval went smoothly. It was more the before and after counseling process. More specifically, I had no idea egg quality was such a critical and also, according to recent studies, an modifiable factor. This is something I would have made changes to my lifestyle for months before my IVF attempt in preparation. I truly believe this could have changed my outcomes. Especially with my chromosomal abnormality that already sets me up for poor egg quality. I’m not sure if Dr. Burwinkel was well versed in these types of issues or did not buy into the concept of improving egg quality.

IUI, 1 IVF
We were not informed of the options [by Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] before our procedures, specifically ICSI and transfer strategy for optimal results... We had no idea we would be faced with the choices [for how many to transfer] while i was in the transfer procedure. These important details of how many and odds should be discussed in advance...I saw him only twice during my care. I did not feel as though he was treating me but rather the entire staff at IRH. Had we had a consistent set of information and communication we would have made different choices. I feel I wasted time and money going there.
The care at IRH is set up to be treated like a number. There was no personal care and i'm not even sure they knew my name. I had to repeat my issues, why we were there and our current status multiple times...We were not informed of the options before our procedures, specifically ICSI and transfer strategy for optimal results. When asking questions it was hard to get consistent answers across nurses.
IUI, 1 IVF
I am sure Dr. Burwinkel is a find physician but I wouldn't know too much since I saw him only twice during my care. I did not feel as though he was treating me but rather the entire staff at IRH. Had we had a consistent set of information and communication we would have made different choices. I feel I wasted time and money going there.
Know what you need and expect in your fertility treatment before you go.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic definitely has strength in numbers based on the number of patients they have, however you are treated like that, a number. I believe their intention is great but not having any email access and only voicemail makes for a challenging communication exchange throughout the day. Not being able to contact them in any other way but voicemail is next to impossible in my line of work. We couldn't get our questions answered in a timely fashion based on this.
The costs were pretty straight forward. They provided a pricing sheet up front for all of the procedures but there was no coordination with my insurance company beyond the pre authorization paperwork. I had to contact the insurance company in order to determine what would be covered. I was never able to get a straight answer from either party. It was unclear to me how much I would owe. In total with my company's coverage ($5,000) and I paid $6K out of pocket for a round of IVF and single transfer. We had no embryos left to freeze and did not do ICSI.
It would have been nice to discuss this strategy and options before the transfer. We had no idea we would be faced with the choices while i was in the transfer procedure. These important details of how many and odds should be discussed in advance.
+ Read more- Read less

I really enjoyed Dr. Burwinkel’s bedside manner however, a couple times I felt like he wasn’t 100% informed on who I was in particular...started back on treatment which was a timed intercourse cycle and when I came in for an ultrasound to check for follicles, he just looked at my uterus with the ultrasound and didn’t measure any follicles. He made it seem like he thought this was a post-op follow up and didn’t really provide the correct information for me for my trigger timing. I started to lose confidence after that visit but continued with him for multiple other cycles, eventually leading me to IVF.
The nurses [at Institute for Reproductive Health] were always nice and caring. They didn’t however provide a lot of detailed information...The clinic is large with multiple providers which can be good or bad. They always have someone to take care of you, it just may not be someone who is super familiar with you in particular. It is easy to get an appointment and their multiple locations are helpful. For the most part they are compassionate but I did have one provider who somewhat scolded me that I needed to make IVF a “priortiy.” This was after I had gone through several less invasive procedures and a previous egg retrieval and transfer over the course of a year and a half. I was also continuing to work full time and drive 90 minutes one way just to get to my appointment. I think I was making it a priority and was kind of offended by how that was mentioned to me.
Dr. Burwinkel has 2 partners that cover him when he is off which is really nice. However, after my first IVF cycle did not result in pregnancy and few eggs/embryos with nothing to freeze, the protocol was not really changed. I don’t know if this was because his partner was covering but I never understood why a similar protocol would have different results. When I had even fewer eggs retrieved and only 1 embryo, I started to wonder if something else was wrong with me as I knew I had a high AMH and should have a lot of eggs. That transfer did result in pregnancy but ended in a second trimester miscarriage due to Down’s syndrome. When I saw Dr. Burwinkel following my miscarriage, he was very compassionate but was unable to come up with a plan for me to get more, better quality embryos in a future cycle. I think I lost all confidence at that time.
Provide details and keep patients informed.
I really enjoyed Dr. Burwinkel’s bedside manner however, a couple times I felt like he wasn’t 100% informed on who I was in particular. I had to have surgery and saw him for a post-op appointment which was fine. I then started back on treatment which was a timed intercourse cycle and when I came in for an ultrasound to check for follicles, he just looked at my uterus with the ultrasound and didn’t measure any follicles. He made it seem like he thought this was a post-op follow up and didn’t really provide the correct information for me for my trigger timing. I started to lose confidence after that visit but continued with him for multiple other cycles, eventually leading me to IVF.
My first IVF cycle was done with Follistim which was initially started at a moderate dose. When my estrogen jumped up, the dose was greatly reduced which later caused my estrogen to drop and I was offered to the chance to cancel the cycle. Since I had insurance coverage, I decided to proceed. I had 5 eggs retrieved. On day 1, none had fertilized so we did rescue ICSI that resulted in 2 embryos which were both transferred on day 3. This resulted in no pregnancy. For my second cycle, the Follistim was pretty much the same. I did take letrozole in the beginning with this cycle. Again my estrogen quickly increased so my Follistim was decreased and again my estrogen dropped and resulted in fewer eggs. I did have one 3 day embryo with ICSI which resulted in pregnancy, but later a miscarriage.
The nurses were always nice and caring. They didn’t however provide a lot of detailed information.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I had insurance coverage so I can only guess for the cab pay price. I believe IVF with ICSI and hatching is around $12,000 a cycle. A transfer is about $1000.

PCOS, Unexplained
We were thoroughly impressed with Dr. Scheiber and the entire team at IRH. He was very personable and extremely professional. We ended up relocating to a different state without getting pregnant, but even after we left, he and his staff were helpful in providing necessary records and recommendations to resume treatment elsewhere. We'd highly recommend Scheiber!...We started on a low-dose pill I took during 5 days of my menstrual cycle. I didn't respond as much as hoped (in terms of follicle growth), so the dosage was increased 50% for the remaining 4 cycles. We tried IUIs 4 times.
IRH is a fantastic clinic all around. The staff are people too, so even though service is provided every day, you may not have the same staff each visit. This didn't bother us at all since they work seamlessly together and we had regular check-in visits with our primary doctor (Dr. Scheiber) there...All of the nurses we encountered during our treatment were professional and caring...we found the costs to be competitive (for the U.S.)
PCOS, Unexplained
The team at IRH work seamlessly to provide care every day of the week. For the in-office treatments and some investigative procedures, you will probably be seen by other doctors. They're all very good at IRH.
Dr. Scheiber always treated us like people. He was patient to explain our case and options with us.
We started on a low-dose pill I took during 5 days of my menstrual cycle. I didn't respond as much as hoped (in terms of follicle growth), so the dosage was increased 50% for the remaining 4 cycles. We tried IUIs 4 times. Had we not relocated to another state, we would have skipped the intermediary option and gone straight to IVF. This was recommended because of my age (and weight).
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Our medical insurance coverage was quite good. I don't remember exact costs, but we found the costs to be competitive (for the U.S.)

2014 - 2017
Everyone at IRH is amazing and kind. I never came across any rude people in all my many visits to the office. I remember being told good luck by other nurses who I had before, just not that day. I believe they all genuinely care for all their patients and they all want to help you have a baby.... The only weakness is their new phone system. I’m not a huge fan of automated. But I know it helps them help more people. I would just like to talk to a real person.
2014 - 2017
Dr. Scheiber was very quick to diagnose me with PCOS. A quick ultrasound confirmed his diagnosis. I had to have a surgery before we started treatments to clear tissue out of my uterus. We started with femara. That wasn’t working well so I was given injectables. We did 5 or 6 iui’s all with femara and injectables without success. Dr. Scheiber was positive during the whole process but also realistic. He saw that iui’s weren’t working and suggested a meeting to discuss new ideas. Which was IVF. We were lucky to have some insurance coverage so we were able to start right away. We did education day the middle of January and injections started the second week of February. I had my first retrieval 2/24. Transfer was 2/27. We transferred two 3 day embryos. They didn’t stick. Second retrieval was 4/14. Transfer was 4/19. We transferred two 5 day embryos. They also didn’t stick. That was a very low point for me. If it wasn’t for Dr. Scheiber I would have quit right there. He convinced me to try a frozen transfer with our remaining 2 embryos. Our last chance. Dr. Scheiber was super upbeat and during the transfer on 5/25 he was like this is it! This time is going to work! On June 8 2016 I received the best phone call ever. I was pregnant! We had our first 2 ultrasounds at IRH then we graduated to my OB/GYN. On February 10,2017 I had a healthy baby boy!!
You’ve made the right choice choosing IRH and Dr. Scheiber. He’s kind but will tell you the truth. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Dr. Schieber always greeted me with a smile, and was always positive about the treatments I was doing. He answered mine and my husband’s questions. He was always approachable.
I wish I was better at names. Everyone at IRH is amazing and kind. I never came across any rude people in all my many visits to the office. I remember being told good luck by other nurses who I had before, just not that day. I believe they all genuinely care for all their patients and they all want to help you have a baby.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
IRH strengths: -The Drs/nurses work well together. They all enjoy being there. That makes their patients more comfortable about being there. -they’re knowledgeable about their field. They’re very confident on their treatment plans. -the wait times aren’t usually long. I don’t think I’ve waited longer than 10 minutes in the room. - they have 3 offices for patients convenience. The only weakness is their new phone system. I’m not a huge fan of automated. But I know it helps them help more people. I would just like to talk to a real person.
I was going like every other day or every 2 days for like two weeks during the cycle. I was usually able to schedule appointments when it was convenient for me. But obviously some days don’t work as well as others.
We were lucky and had insurance coverage. The drugs were expensive. I think for the Iui and ivf cycles we paid close to $10,000 on drugs and $10,000 for the cycles. Our costs would have doubled or tripled had we not had coverage.
We chose to transfer two embryos. We thought it would give us a better shot at atleast one sticking. The office suggests one, but won’t do any more than two.

2 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
He [Dr. Awadalla] reviewed all of my medical records and discussed options in detail with us during our initial consultation. He made of feel very comfortable, hopeful, and informed. During each visit we got additional information to help guide us with medications and what to expect. When we were unsuccessful after our last frozen transfer we were never contacted by him to discuss the cycles or any future plans of continuing treatment.
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] was very clean and organized and there was a private place for us to discuss our cycle and plan with the nurse and with the doctor. The check in and check out was always fairly smooth. Getting financial information for bills and services paid was difficult at times and there was some confusion about what had been paid for and what was still owed, but they were able to make some calls to get it figured out.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
He reviewed all of my medical records and discussed options in detail with us during our initial consultation. He made of feel very comfortable, hopeful, and informed. During each visit we got additional information to help guide us with medications and what to expect. When we were unsuccessful after our last frozen transfer we were never contacted by him to discuss the cycles or any future plans of continuing treatment. We contacted his office and were given a time he would call back for us to ask questions. I don’t feel like we really got any answers as to why the cycles failed or what the next course of action would be or what could be done differently if we decided to do an additional retrieval and transfer.
Ask a lot of questions and be well informed every step of the way.
Early in the treatment process we were treated very well by all the staff and the doctor. We were given high expectation throughout the process and everyone was very positive and reassuring. After the retrieval and fertilization results came in we were told we’d be a freeze all cycle due to hyper stimulation but then received multiple calls the following days saying we were a fresh transfer, when in fact we were not able to go that route. It was rather upsetting. After our last frozen embryo transfer we were notified of the negative hcg via phone by one of the nurses and had expected we would hear from the doctor as we used our last 2 embryos. When we didn’t hear from him after a few days of getting the results, we called the office a few times to speak with him because we were never given the opportunity to discuss what happened or what the next steps are or what our options were or what could possibly be done differently if we chose to continue with another retrieval. We felt like we were just unsuccessful and dropped from the radar with no guidance or explanation as to where to go from there. Overall the people seemed to care throughout the process but after we felt like we were left in a cold and limbo like state.
Cycle day 3 started birth control pills and a profilactic antibiotic, last bcp was day 22, had an ultrasound for follicles on day 23, cycle day 2 started using follistim 200 IU SQ at a given time daily for 4 days and then had a repeat follicle scan on day 6 with lab draw and continued on follistim 200 IU SQ, day 7 I took the follistim 200 IU SQ and Ganirelix SQ, day 8 follistim 200 IU SQ and ganirelix SQ, cycle day 9 had follicle scan and labs and changed follistim dose to 125 IU SQ with the ganirelix SQ, cycle day 10 follistim 100 IU SQ and ganirelix SQ, day 11 follicle scan and labs and took follistim 100 IU SQ and ganirelix SQ, cycle day 25 follistim 25 IU SQ and ganirelix SQ, day 13 Lipton trigger shot and started destinex tablets, day 14 dostinex tablet, day 15 egg retrieval (15 eggs retreived). Day 16 six eggs fertilized and told we would be a freeze all cycle due to ovarian hyper stimulation, day 18 above average growth and development on 4 of the eggs and regular on 2. Next cycle started - day 2 three embryos made it to blast stage and were frozen and need to postpone frozen transfer to next cycle. Started birth control pills for a few weeks and then started cycle day 1, started taking estradiol 3 times daily, day 13 had ultrasound and labs, day 18 started prometrium 3 times a day, day 23 frozen embryo transfer, negative hcg 11 days later, after the next cycle started and completed we did the 2nd frozen transer with our last 2 embryos which were grade A, 14 days later we had a negative hcg.
The nurse I seen in the office and the one who reviewed the plan and medications were absolutely amazing. The one making the call didn’t seem to care and I was just a number she was reporting information to in order to cross me off the to do list. There were also multiple times I was contacted by the same nurse who gave me false (and very upsetting) information, she didn’t seem to know my case or what was going on.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was very clean and organized and there was a private place for us to discuss our cycle and plan with the nurse and with the doctor. The check in and check out was always fairly smooth. Getting financial information for bills and services paid was difficult at times and there was some confusion about what had been paid for and what was still owed, but they were able to make some calls to get it figured out.
$8500 to begin the process (MD visit, ultrasounds, labs, retrieval and one fresh transfer, nurse education day) they wouldn’t let us do the fresh transfer so we did frozen which cost an additional $5000 (counting the second frozen transfer), medications and travel expenses roughly $3500 - totaling around $17000
I feel like at least 2 embryo transfer is the best route when you are doing IVF.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
One of the nurses called after my retrieval and told me the proposed day for transfer and steps to take for my fresh embryo transfer, after I’d been told I was going to be a freeze all due to ovarian hyperstimulation. She called two different times trying to tell me this same plan.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Burwinkel is such an amazing doctor. He has gone above and beyond to help get my pregnant, and always listens to me. I had a miscarriage after an IUI in the summer of 2016. During my D&C, right before I was put under, I started crying. Dr. B. came to my side and held my hand as I was put to sleep for the procedure. I will never, ever forget the compassion he showed during that difficult time. Dr. B is always honest with me and does what is right for me and my situation. I could not ever imagine seeing another doctor or going ot another practice.
I absolutely LOVE the nursing staff [at the Institute for Reproductive Health]. They are ALL caring and compassionate and go out of their way to help us. I could not imagine going through this journey without them!... The only weakness is when you call the office, you always have to leave a voicemail. However, the nurses/staff are quick to respond.... For IVF, we did the money back guarantee program with ICSI and that was around 22k (or 70% back if no live birth).
Be open and honest with Dr. B about your thoughts on your protocol. He WILL listen! Advocate for yourself, too.
I always felt like a human and not just a number. Dr. B did what was right for me and my situation and always gave me the honest information.
IUIs 1-4: 5mg Femara and Ovidrel IUI 1 resulted in miscarriage with a D&C at 9 weeks. IUIs 2-4 were negative. IVF 1: 175 Follistim, then increased to 225. Ganirelix and Ovidrel--rationale, I have PCOS and did not want my to hyper stimulate. Prometrium after retrieval and through transfer. 2 Blasts, 1 transferred and did not result in pregnancy. FET 1: Estrace 2mg a day, then PIO. Frozen embryo transferred and did not result in pregnancy. IVF 2: 150 Follistim and 75 Menopur. The last twp days of stims, we upped the Follistim to 225. Ganirelix and Ovidrel. Added in medrol and baby asprin after the retrieval. Added PIO after retrieval. 7 total blasts. 2 transferred. Currently pregnant and waiting for my first ultrasound to determine if it's a singleton or twin pregnancy.
I absolutely LOVE the nursing staff. They are ALL caring and compassionate and go out of their way to help us. I could not imagine going through this journey without them!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
We used insurance for the IUIs, so the cost to us was around $100 per IUI. For IVF, we did the money back guarantee program with ICSI and that was around 22k (or 70% back if no live birth).
With my first IVF cycle, we did one embryo. Same with the FET because we only had 1 embryo left. After those two cycles failed, Dr. B decided to transfer two embryos moving forward. I trusted his judgement with the single and multiple embryo transfers.

2014 - 2017
All the IRH nurses are wonderful, but every time Heather was working when I was there she requested to work with me. We really connected at the West Chester office and she remembered me each time I was in. She has such a positive energy and exudes the hope all staff at a place like this should. She was a huge cheerleader for us through the whole process and when we got our positive. She was in the room when we found out we lost our baby and cried right along with us. I will never forget her or her compassion.
2014 - 2017
Dr. Scheiber is very much to the point but makes sure I understand what's happening. He listens and responds to my questions no matter how long it takes. He was very straightforward about our chances of conceiving without giving false hope or seeming overly negative. What really makes me feel great about seeing him is the way he treated me when I miscarried. He had to deliver the news to us and even though he sees this all the time was visibly upset, which made me feel he truly cares. He then came in several hours early on his surgery day to fit me in so I wouldn't have to wait several days for a d&c. We are about to do our first frozen embryo transfer with him this month. We were having trouble getting the money together so shopped around for a cheaper clinic. We found one and I called IRH to see if he would match their price. He did far better than match it to keep me there and to not risk transporting our precious embryos elsewhere. Because of that we're able to do the transfer now rather than 6 months to a year from now. I feel like every bit of my treatment protocol has been spot on and I trust him implicitly. I know we're in excellent hands and feel 100% confident we'll have our miracle baby soon!
Ask questions! Even if you think of them later. He gives minimum detail unless you ask.
Dr. Scheiber always takes time to explain everything and makes sure I understand. He answers my questions thoroughly and honestly.
3 IUIs: only medication used was Ovidrel since we have male factor infertility. All 3 resulted in negative tests. IVF: can't recall the protocol but started birth control to suppress my cycle so it could be easily fracked and timed. Went off that and began stim injections to produce a number of eggs. Was closely monitored via ultrasound to check progress and retrieval was set based on follicle size. We had 12 follicles, 9 eggs retrieved, 6 5-day old blastocysts. We transferred 1 embryo which resulted in pregnancy but ended at 10 weeks due to chromosomal abnormality. Dr. Scheiber did not recommend pre genetic screening for the embryos because I do not have infertility and have high quality eggs. FET#1: prescribed Estrace beginning cycle day 1. Will be monitored for ovulation via ultrasound. Once I've ovulated the transfer will be scheduled for 5 days later. Upon transfer I'll begin progesterone therapy until at least the beta test 8-10 days later, longer if the test is positive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Weaknesses: the phone system is a bit confusing, even for seasoned patients. Also really have to pay attention to your bill for errors. Strengths: multiple locations around the city. Drs belong to The Christ Hospital which is the best in Cinci in my opinion. They offer an online and inperson support group which has been so wonderful.
IUI: about $1k/cycle IVF: $10k plus around $4k for medication FET: $4500 plus about $350 for medication
Dr. Scheiber is a huge proponent for eSET unless there is a strong medical reason to transfer more than one. His logic is technology has advanced to a point it's no longer necessary to transfer multiple to be successful and since a multiples pregnancy is riskier than a singleton he avoids recommending it if possible. At the end of the day though it's the patients decision, but he will make sure you have all the facts to make an informed choice.
+ Read more- Read less

The nursing staff [at IRH-Cincinnati] always responded quickly when I called the office. I had a terrible time with my insurance and the specialty pharmacy it used to get my injections and the nursing staff handled it very well (even though I probably drove them nuts calling so much). I had to come in on several saturdays for IUIs and the staff was always friendly and welcoming. They never made me feel like an inconvenience.
Dr Awadalla was compassionate, easy to talk to, thorough in his explanations, so easy going he made us feel like there was no doubt we would get pregnant, and very knowledgeable. Every time we came in after a failed attempt we would review the statistics of the treatments, form a plan for the next cycle and he would hand write the exact dosages of medications I needed to take and when. He would also draw little cartoons/symbols indicating us getting pregnant at the end. He really helped keep our stress levels down while giving us all the facts we needed which is not an easy task. Even though I didn’t see him every visit I saw him most of the time. The other doctors and NP were also very good so I never felt uncomfortable having them do a treatment for me.
You are in the best place for getting pregnant. It’s an emotionally difficult journey (sometimes physically difficult), so going in make sure you ask questions. Dr Awadalla is very approachable and smart so knowing all the facts will help put you at ease a bit.
Dr Awadalla was excellent. Our first first visit we were emotionally drained and frustrated. Dr Awadalla did an ultrasound and reviewed the tests from my OB and then took an hour to explain what was causing our infertility, answered our questions, and formed a plan to help get us pregnant. He was easy to talk to and really made us feel at ease and hopeful. Every time I went in for an IUI it was like he knew exactly how I was feeling and knew what to say to make us confident to continue treatments. He even called me on my cell phone once to help me to decide my next step in treatment. He is excellent!
We tried a new treatment every three months until I got pregnant. It was explained to me that after three rounds of a treatment not working statistically my chances of getting pregnant with that treatment dramatically decreased. I started taking metformin daily to help counteract some of my hormones with PCOS. So first I did oral medication and IUI for three rounds, then Injections and orals for three months and got pregnant on the third round. We started with oral medication and IUI first because I had tried oral medication and timed intercourse for three months with no result with my OB. I also switched from clomid to femara with Dr Awadalla because I did not ovulate with my third round of clomid. Every time we did a cycle before I took my ovulation injection Dr Awadalla did an ultrasound to verify how many healthy eggs I had so I didn’t have too many or too little. That also helped him adjust my medication doses as needed. So after 6 IUIs 3 with orals and three with injections I got pregnant and now have twin boys:)
The nursing staff always responded quickly when I called the office. I had a terrible time with my insurance and the specialty pharmacy it used to get my injections and the nursing staff handled it very well (even though I probably drove them nuts calling so much). I had to come in on several saturdays for IUIs and the staff was always friendly and welcoming. They never made me feel like an inconvenience.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was wonderfully decorated with big windows in the waiting room. The lab was right down the hall so we didn’t have to travel far to pick up our specimens. Almost every time I was there I was taken back early and never had to wait past my appointment.
My insurance and my husbands insurance covered most of the cost.
We never had to do IVF.
+ Read more- Read less

We did 1 fresh embryo transfer of a day 5 embryo [with Dr. Scheiber]. I was on oral contraceptives prior to initiating injection medications. I took menopur and follistim once daily and added ganerelix for the last 4 days of injections. I responded well to the initial doses recommended and no dose changes were needed. I used endometrin suppositories 3 times daily after egg retrieval. They retrieved 7 eggs, all mature, which led to 5 embryos after ICSI. One embryo made it to day 5 and was transferred resulting in a healthy, full term birth.
It [IRH-Cincinnati] is a well run clinic with great doctors and staff. The nurses are knowledgeable and friendly. They are very experienced due to a large patient volume. I did not notice any weaknesses. I highly recommend them to others with fertility problems... I believe our out of pocket costs for IVF were around 10,000 for 1 cycle.... At my age and with primarily male factor infertility eSET was recommended.
He took a very thorough history at our first appointment. He was friendly and easy to talk to each time we saw him. He gave us an honest assessment and went into detail about each of our treatment options including chances of success. I never felt pushed to pursue a particular path and felt like all of my questions were answered.
I would definitely recommend that they go see him for any fertility needs.
He remembered details of our situation and was always kind during visits.
We did 1 fresh embryo transfer of a day 5 embryo. I was on oral contraceptives prior to initiating injection medications. I took menopur and follistim once daily and added ganerelix for the last 4 days of injections. I responded well to the initial doses recommended and no dose changes were needed. I used endometrin suppositories 3 times daily after egg retrieval. They retrieved 7 eggs, all mature, which led to 5 embryos after ICSI. One embryo made it to day 5 and was transferred resulting in a healthy, full term birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
They were always very helpful and responded quickly to questions. I felt very comfortable with them.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
It is a well run clinic with great doctors and staff. The nurses are knowledgeable and friendly. They are very experienced due to a large patient volume. I did not notice any weaknesses. I highly recommend them to others with fertility problems.
I believe our out of pocket costs for IVF were around 10,000 for 1 cycle.
At my age and with primarily male factor infertility eSET was recommended.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Don’t expect to see him [Dr. Michael Scheiber] much...I will say that the protocol that was used and rationale behind it was not explained to me. Maybe I should’ve asked more questions, but I just followed directions. There was no explaining of ‘why’ they were doing things this particular way...When consulting with Dr. S via phone after my failed IVF cycle, I felt like he was not even looking at my chart. He mentioned uterine fibroids, when previously he mentioned my uterus looking perfect. I didn’t feel I was getting the individual treatment I was wanting at this moment when discussing this huge disappointment in my life.
Very nice facility [Institute for Reproductive Health]. Clean and comfortable. I always got a call back when calling with questions from for the staff. The clinic seems to be organized, overall and it was not overcrowded. I never had to wait too long. They also helped me to find my medications at the best possible price at that time...The nursing staff was overall very caring and more willing to spend time answering questions I had.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Scheiber performed a laparoscopy on me and I was under his care for IUIs and IVF. He was very comforting at the time of surgery. He does explain things in a way that it is easy to understand. I did not like the fact that I barely saw him after my surgery. The majority of treatment was performed by his counter parts. I was surprised when I went in for my egg retrieval that he was not even there for that. I thought for sure I would see him then, and I was disappointed that no one informed me he would not be doing the procedure. I did not see him one time during my IVF cycle, and it was pretty much the same for the IUIs I had the year before. When consulting with him after the egg retrieval (failed cycle), I felt as though he offered generic advice and did not have my chart to look at. He offered no change in protocol when I asked about future treatment, which was discouraging.
Don’t expect to see him much.
I do not remember specifically the protocols that were used specifically for me. I used injectables for three IUI attempts (one was cancelled due to large follicle being on the side where I did not have a tube) and an IVF cycle. I will say that the protocol that was used and rationale behind it was not explained to me. Maybe I should’ve asked more questions, but I just followed directions. There was no explaining of ‘why’ they were doing things this particular way.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Very nice facility. Clean and comfortable. I always got a call back when calling with questions from for the staff. The clinic seems to be organized, overall and it was not overcrowded. I never had to wait too long. They also helped me to find my medications at the best possible price at that time.
I do not remember specifically.
No comment
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I did not. There was only one issue specifically with the doctor stating conflicting information.

2 IUI, IVF
The experience with doctor Burwinkle was very good. He explained everything thoroughly and was very realistic on each outcome. He answered all of our questions and concerns during each cycle and was empathetic to our situation.... He was the one who diagnosed me with PCOS he was very familiar with how that would affect my fertility.... He was very considerate of the way patients with PCOS would react to certain medications and dosages.
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] was clean and easy to get to. The only downfall would be when you call, you always have to leave a voicemail and wait to be called back. I wish you could get a hold of a nurse during bisniness hours.... During my IVF cycle I needed to get more of a certain medication to continue taking but somehow it wasn’t refilled in time through my fertility pharmacy to receive it in time. The clinic was able to give me enough of the medication to keep taking and just charged it through them to my insurance to make up for the misunderstanding.
2 IUI, IVF
The experience with doctor Burwinkle was very good. He explained everything thoroughly and was very realistic on each outcome. He answered all of our questions and concerns during each cycle and was empathetic to our situation. There were no real weaknesses with his treatments.
He is a great doctor and very realistic in treatment options and outcomes.
He was very personable and came off as caring and empathetic to our situation.
He was the one who diagnosed me with PCOS he was very familiar with how that would affect my fertility. He also was the one who treated me/us for all of our attempts to conceive via timed intercourse, IUIs, And IVF. He was very considerate of the way patients with PCOS would react to certain medications and dosages. He only used medications shown to work in women with PCOS and was able to find the balance to get the best results to not overwhelm my hormones but also get the ideal response.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Sarah )
She was very easy to talk to and ask questions with. She was very thorough with my care plan and gave me peace of mind during each cycle.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was clean and easy to get to. The only downfall would be when you call, you always have to leave a voicemail and wait to be called back. I wish you could get a hold of a nurse during bisniness hours.
They gave us a break down sheet of all the costs for treatment.
Since I was still considered young and my egg quality was good he didn’t want to transfer more than just one embryo.
+ Read more- Read less
Dr. Scheiber himself has been the best out of the three doctors we've seen but is still only so so, and I wish it felt more like he cared about me as a person rather than a case....Other than passed tissues across a table and a few reassuring head nods, the doctors seemed to have minimal empathy for the pain and frustration associated with this invasive, frustrating, and traumatic process. My miscarriage was described (by another doctor at the clinic) as "disappointing." I'm sure it was disappointing for them and their statistics, but for me it was one of the saddest experiences of my life. Disappointing doesn't begin to cover it
I answered this on an earlier question. On one foot, this experience has been very frustrating and sad in its own right but also additionally so because of issues at the fertility clinic. Dr. Scheiber himself has been the best out of the three doctors we've seen but is still only so so, and I wish it felt more like he cared about me as a person rather than a case.
Make sure you do your homework and ask lots of questions along the way. There are times when my treatment course was adjusted or explanations were corrected because of information I supplied as opposed to information that they offered.
Other than passed tissues across a table and a few reassuring head nods, the doctors seemed to have minimal empathy for the pain and frustration associated with this invasive, frustrating, and traumatic process. My miscarriage was described (by another doctor at the clinic) as "disappointing." I'm sure it was disappointing for them and their statistics, but for me it was one of the saddest experiences of my life. Disappointing doesn't begin to cover it. There are also so many different nurses there that until IVF, I was just another patient. Once a nurse called me back and asked if my partner and I were having sex to increase our chances of IUI success. I'm a lesbian, so this wouldn't have helped. The nurse simply didn't think to open our chart before calling us...the first page would have told her that we're two women. The number of LGBT related microaggressions we experience is through the roof. We cross out mislabeled forms and correct their language on a regular basis. They also failed to manage my thyroid condition appropriately or advise me to seek treatment from an endocrinologist who could. This clinic has the best success rates in the area and switching at this point would cost us an additional thousand dollars at least, but I wish I had other options.
5 natural iui at my request. 1 iui with femara (bad reaction). IVF #1 fresh transfer, 225 follistim, ganirelix, ovidrel. Eset. Pregnancy...missed miscarriage at 9 weeks. D&C. IVF #2 in progress, 225 follistim, 75 menopur, ganirelix, ovidrel. PGS (to reduce chance of additional miscarriage...at my request)
This is so mixed. There might be 50 nurses working there. The IVF nurses are mostly good (though the other day one contradicted the doctor so that was frustrating), and they are more professional and compassionate than the other staff. Other nurses have been rude, homophobic, incompetent, or unprofessional. One seriously offended me and then had the dr. apologize on her behalf instead of doing it on her own like an adult.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strength: efficiency, high reported success rates Weaknesses: human compassion, personalization of treatment, making you feel like they have time for you Do your homework before you go
IVF with ICSI 9,600. IUI total about $1000 (x7).
I'm young (27) so he prefers eSET, and I had "success" with it once and we will probably do this again this cycle.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Mostly it just feels like a factory in there rather than a clinic serving families going through something incredibly sad, frustrating, and difficult. They also gave me incomplete information about my thyroid levels and failed to treat a condition that may or may not have caused my miscarriage. During the process with getting our directed donor lined up, there were constant setbacks and bad communication. A doctor said that if my exam was painful, I must have been sexually abused (I thankfully have not been). There weren't other explanations offered for the pain. He since apologized, but it's hard to get over that. The nurses and doctors are both uncomfortable being frank with my wife and I about sex. They just read off the list which says "no intercourse before IVF" and say "well that doesn't apply here" without further details.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Michael Scheiber] was extremely caring and always asked about our daughter when we saw him. He had a great sense of humor during the whole process (which was appreciated!) while being frank with us about the challenges we would face trying to conceive at our ages... I had three IUIs (with Clomid and Ovidril) and had a negative result, a chemical pregnancy, a month off and a negative result before taking another month off to mentally regroup. After that month to regroup (and stop stressing about it!) I got pregnant on our fourth IUI (still with Clomid and Ovidril).
I didn't like that you can never talk to a live person [at Institute for Reproductive Health] but they are very prompt about returning calls. I never had a bad experience with a nurse on the phone or in person...Strengths- Multiple locations, flexible hours, reasonable cost, good success and quality doctors and staff. All three doctors are great. Weaknesses- I didn't like when I was given an appointment to see the nurse practitioner (or felt like I was forced to see her) when I was told I was seeing one of the doctors. She, in my opinion, is very rough during examinations.
He was extremely caring and always asked about our daughter when we saw him. He had a great sense of humor during the whole process (which was appreciated!) while being frank with us about the challenges we would face trying to conceive at our ages.
Trust him. He will be frank with you.
Dr. Scheiber and his staff have always been very warm and compassionate. When I had a chemical pregnancy he called me after I had had several conversations with the nursing staff. He had very kind words for me and gave me some peace in a very emotional situation.
For my first pregnancy it took several rounds of Clomid before I ovulated. When I did finally ovulate I took Ovidril and he gave us the option to do IUI or not. We elected to do IUI (because we didn't know how long it would take before I would ovulate again) and I got pregnant. The second time around was not so easy. I had three IUIs (with Clomid and Ovidril) and had a negative result, a chemical pregnancy, a month off and a negative result before taking another month off to mentally regroup. After that month to regroup (and stop stressing about it!) I got pregnant on our fourth IUI (still with Clomid and Ovidril).
I didn't like that you can never talk to a live person but they are very prompt about returning calls. I never had a bad experience with a nurse on the phone or in person.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I think it was $475 for my first IUI in 2015 and $500 per IUI in 2016/2017.
+ Read more- Read less

I went to see Dr Burwinkel for tests and an hsg procedure. During my hsg procedure a uterine polyp was found and it needed to be surgically removed... My surgery went perfectly and we continued on to medicated IUI...Dr Burwinkel is super informed and knowledgeable. He is very caring and definitely wants to see success in treatment for his patients... I have been extremely happy with his care and attentiveness...He really listened to our unique situation and he offered us many treatment options.
[The nurses at Institute for Reproductive Health were] Very helpful and attentive and encouraging...all costs are spelled out up front and nurses have up to date cost information on procedures and drugs...The staff here is wonderful, everyone is very friendly and helpful. The only drawback is when calling you never talk to a real person. The staff is great at calling back but it is frustrating to have to leave a message and wait for a call back...nsurance pre-authorization was not completed in a timely manner and many voicemails were not returned. We were told that they had a staff person dedicated to the role of insurance pre-authorization however, we were not able to call or reach this person. Finally, after my husband called we received a call back from said staff person. This was after we were told multiple times that there was no such person or department at the clinic.
Dr Burwinkel is super informed and knowledgeable. He is very caring and definitely wants to see success in treatment for his patients. He performed a polyp removal surgery and we continued on to medicated IUI. I have been extremely happy with his care and attentiveness.
Do your research and ask lots of questions.
Originally I went to see Dr Burwinkel for tests and an hsg procedure. During my hsg procedure a uterine polyp was found and it needed to be surgically removed. We scheduled the surgery for 3 months later. My surgery went perfectly and we continued on to medicated IUI. I took clomid 100mg during days 3-7 and then I went in for an ultrasound, after that I did the ovidrel trigger shot and scheduled my IUI for the next day. For my second IUI we followed the same procedure, 100mg clomid on days 3-7 and then ultrasound to check follicles then trigger shot and IUI about 36 hours later.
Very helpful and attentive and encouraging.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Our insurance covers infertility, however all costs are spelled out up front and nurses have up to date cost information on procedures and drugs. Very helpful.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Insurance pre-authorization was not completed in a timely manner and many voicemails were not returned. We were told that they had a staff person dedicated to the role of insurance pre-authorization however, we were not able to call or reach this person. Finally, after my husband called we received a call back from said staff person. This was after we were told multiple times that there was no such person or department at the clinic.
2012 - 2017
As much as he [Dr. Awadalla] wants to be successful at helping you conceive, he can be a bit too optimistic. He doesn't seem to fully understand that not everyone has the financial capabilities to just keep moving forward with treatments...Dr. Awadalla was very personable and seemed to empathize with me each time my cycle was not successful...Although I have been unable to conceive under his care, I highly recommend him. My only complaint is that he can be a bit too optimistic. I prefer to be told the blunt truth, even if it is negative.
Very nice clinic area. No complaints about the clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] itself...Some of the nurses were great, while others were disorganized. I had 2 different nurses on 2 separate occasions give me incorrect medication dosage and timing. I corrected them based on what Dr. Awadalla had told me which they then confirmed...Dr Awadalla is a very personable and compassionate RE. Although I have been unable to conceive under his care, I highly recommend him. My only complaint is that he can be a bit too optimistic. I prefer to be told the blunt truth, even if it is negative.
2012 - 2017
As much as he wants to be successful at helping you conceive, he can be a bit too optimistic. He doesn't seem to fully understand that not everyone has the financial capabilities to just keep moving forward with treatments.
Dr. Awadalla was very personable and seemed to empathize with me each time my cycle was not successful. As a private person, I usually do not get emotional until I am alone at home. The last cycle he said to me, "I know this was a hard one for you and I was really hoping to have good news for you today."
IUIs- Femara with Ovidrel trigger- all negative. 1st IVF - follistim, menopur, Ganarelix, ovidrel, progesterone - cancelled due to poor response 2nd IVF - femara, follistim, menopur, cetrotide, ovidrel, progesterone. - 2 eggs retrieved, 2 embryos, 0 transferred due to poor quality.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Very nice clinic area. No complaints about the clinic itself
My IUIs were covered by insurance, $40 copay + $100 meds. IVF - ~$14000 (including meds and ICSI)
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
As I stated in a previous reply, there were 2 instances where nurses dud not relay the correct medication information.

Male Factor, Other
You will not see Dr Scheiber at every appointment. All of the doctors in the practice have different bedside manners and some are way different than others!...He is a very smart man, & I believe has the best interest in all of his patients...ICSI performed, 5 day transfer of one blastocyst rated perfect... We had done a lot of leg work in the beginning of treatment so he was ready to get started with us as soon as we arrived. We had all of our info in place and were just as eager to get started with treatment! We wish we were able to see him each time we went but there are 3 locations and 3 doctors. We have had to be flexible.
You must leave a message and wait for a call back [at Institute for Reproductive Health]. Inconvenient for me working In healthcare field as well. Billing/financial is helpful but not as helpful as I wish they would be when it comes to insurance benefit and helping me figure out what is best. Nursing staff is helpful. Catering to me when I need to lay down for bloodwork. Drs schedules are hard to work with if you only want to see one doctor! Need to be flexible but everyone has been great!
Male Factor, Other
We enjoy seeing Dr Scheiber. He cares for us and answers our questions. We have been with him from October 2016-current. We had done a lot of leg work in the beginning of treatment so he was ready to get started with us as soon as we arrived. We had all of our info in place and were just as eager to get started with treatment! We wish we were able to see him each time we went but there are 3 locations and 3 doctors. We have had to be flexible.
You will not see Dr Scheiber at every appointment. All of the doctors in the practice have different bedside manners and some are way different than others! I was shocked! He is a very smart man, & I believe has the best interest in all of his patients.
Dr. Scheiber was always very welcoming, accepting, and comforting. He spoke to both myself and my husband frequently in the office. He cared & answered all of my questions.
IUI with Femara days 3-7, once IUI was complete we had intercourse that evening and the next day - negative Another semen analysis was completed and nothing had changed since husband changed diet and started Clomid. IVF - BCP, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirilex, & HCG trigger - egg retrieval while under conscious sedation. ICSI performed, 5 day transfer of one blastocyst rated perfect. Started endometrin -negative test at 10dp5dt. Beginning 1st FET - Estradiol & baby aspirin day 1-day20. Day 14 ultrasound and will start endometrin at that time. Day 20 thaw and transfer of hopefully two blasts.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Jacquie )
Nursing staff is great! They're helpful, but hard to get ahold of. We have to leave a message every time we have a question. We request they return a call between certain times and they do their best with that. A trend we have seen is they tend to return calls around 3:45-4:00 pm which is inconvenient because they don't return calls after 4. So if you miss the call between 3:45-4:00 you have to wait until the next day.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
You cannot speak to someone directly. You must leave a message and wait for a call back. Inconvenient for me working In healthcare field as well. Billing/financial is helpful but not as helpful as I wish they would be when it comes to insurance benefit and helping me figure out what is best. Nursing staff is helpful. Catering to me when I need to lay down for bloodwork. Drs schedules are hard to work with if you only want to see one doctor! Need to be flexible but everyone has been great!
IUI - $350ish IVF w/ ICSI - $20,000 billed to insurance. Roughly $11,000 if self pay. Meds were ordered through online pharmacy at $3,000 FET - $8,000 billed to insurance, $4500 if Self pay
Drs only wanted to transfer 1 embryo first cycle. We were disappointed as we wanted to transfer two. We were told it would only increase chances by 2%. We "had great odds with my age & the rating of our embryo". Resulted in negative pregnancy test. We are pushing for 2 embryos transferred this time. We had a lot of pushback transferring two the first round and was talked down upon when we asked about transferring two from another dr within the practice.