Genetic counseling: Offered
West Chester
7242 Tylers Corner
West Chester, OH 45069
513.924.5550
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Institute for Reproductive Health to a friend?

4 doctors
2013 - 2016
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
The battle to conceive was long and hard but Dr A [Dr. Sherif Awadalla] kept fighting. He never gave up hope which gave us continued hope for success. He performed two D&C’svand a tubal pregnancy removal and always showed compassion. He was very candid that he thought my egg quality was the issue but gave me time and space to work through those thoughts. Ultimately he was 100% correctvand got us to the donor coordinator for further information. We gave two beautiful little girls now and are family is complete. Rainbows do come after storms.
Nursing staff [at IRH-Cincinnati] is fantastic, doctors are knowledgeable and ahead on all current and future technology. The laboratory is best in class. I never had trouble getting in for any appointments and never had to wait for an extended period. They also have great access to resolve resource groups as well as girls night in support groups.
2013 - 2016
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The battle to conceive was long and hard but Dr A kept fighting. He never gave up hope which gave us continued hope for success. He performed two D&C’svand a tubal pregnancy removal and always showed compassion. He was very candid that he thought my egg quality was the issue but gave me time and space to work through those thoughts. Ultimately he was 100% correctvand got us to the donor coordinator for further information. We gave two beautiful little girls now and are family is complete. Rainbows do come after storms.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
He is an amazing doctor. Sometimes he can be a bit blunt but that’s just because he is trying to get you the results you are trying to achieve. Trust him he’s brilliant.
Describe the protocols Sherif Awadalla used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
PGD was prescribed with IVF after multiple IUI miscarriages with chromosome abnormalities. With PGD we discovered that 80-90% of our embryo is had issues. When healthy embryos were unsuccessful. He recommended egg donor cycle. Once we went that route we only had one cycle and now gave one fresh baby and one frozen
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Nursing staff is fantastic, doctors are knowledgeable and ahead on all current and future technology. The laboratory is best in class. I never had trouble getting in for any appointments and never had to wait for an extended period. They also have great access to resolve resource groups as well as girls night in support groups.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health.
IVF with ICSI and PGD was around 12-15k and donor cycle was 20-25k. Donor cycle charges in Clyde freezing of embroyos and frozen transfer. Cycle resulted in two Singleton pregnancies.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health.
I had one instance where a phone call was late arriving with a result but a quick call to them resolved the issue.
Cincinnati

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health.

We had a good experience with him [Dr. Scheiber], despite the outcome. He was Frank, but sensitive in his delivery of any kind of news of a setback. Looking back, something I'd change was a better discussion of my diagnosis, like my actual chances of conception with my own eggs. We have have been able to make potential egg donor decisions sooner then. ... We used a wide variety of pills, injectables, and inserts for my 10 IUIs to see if my ovaries would respond any better to various combinations.
We were really impressed with all parts of our experience with the clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] itself. Great location, wonderful professional staff and a team of 4 doctors I came to trust over the almost 2 years we sought treatment there. ... These [nurses] were a fantastic team of ladies. Compassionate, thorough, organized. The communication was fabulous as well. Low wait times at the clinic. It was enjoyable to come here for treatment despite our circumstances.
How was your experience with Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health?
We had a good experience with him, despite the outcome. He was Frank, but sensitive in his delivery of any kind of news of a setback. Looking back, something I'd change was a better discussion of my diagnosis, like my actual chances of conception with my own eggs. We have have been able to make potential egg donor decisions sooner then.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Have your questions organized and ready beforehand.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Had a great experience with him even without success so far. Good bedside manner and ready to answer questions at will.
Describe the protocols Michael Scheiber used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
We used a wide variety of pills, injectables, and inserts for my 10 IUIs to see if my ovaries would respond any better to various combinations. It seems I'd get a positive result and short lived pregnancy (or in one case a chemical) on the first try after the combination of drugs was changed and then negatives after that. I never produced more than a few mature looking follicles after all the stims and had to convert an IVF cycle to IUI at one point.
These were a fantastic team of ladies. Compassionate, thorough, organized. The communication was fabulous as well. Low wait times at the clinic. It was enjoyable to come here for treatment despite our circumstances.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
We were really impressed with all parts of our experience with the clinic itself. Great location, wonderful professional staff and a team of 4 doctors I came to trust over the almost 2 years we sought treatment there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health.
We were in the range of 7-8k for everything over the course of almost 2 years, not including medication. Our costs remained lower since we were only doing rounds of IUI.
Describe Michael Scheiber's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
We never got this far unfortunately, although doctor did recommend one embryo at a time in order to eliminate health issues with multiples.

3 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
every time he [Dr. Burwinkel] sees me he knows who I am and my history and not just because he looked at my chart 5 minutes before my appointment. He is direct and tells me what I need to hear, but does it in a way that is kind and compassionate...opened my mind to the possibility of egg donation after a couple of egg retrievals with less than desirable results but let me know that they would continue to try with my eggs as long as I was willing. He also was honest with us when we asked about a Gestational Carrier, stating that it was our best shot for the one genetically normal embryo we have frozen. Because of Dr. B, we hope to transfer to a gestational carrier in November with our own embryo and hope to transfer to me in December with a donor embryo. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. B. I truly believe we are on our current course because of him and I have 100% faith that he is leading us in the right direction.
if you are not one of the extremely complicated cases, you will not have an assigned nurse or coordinator. IRH has a team of standard treatment nurses and a team of IVF nurses. Overall, I would say that the team of IRH nurses are pretty amazing...They do an amazing job, but it's a high volume clinic so your journey will be so much smoother if you are on top of everything and help them be the care team you need...things *could* have gone wrong if I hadn't been paying attention.
3 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I have seen every doctor at IRH over the last two years and over that time, I have become the most comfortable with Dr. B and as a result, switched over to him as my primary physician in early 2019. I am someone who needs my doctor to explain the details of my diagnosis and treatment in order to feel confident in our plan of action. If the details are not explained to me, I get very anxious. Dr. B learned this about me very quickly and takes the time to explain everything to us as well as answer all of my questions. When we ask for additional consult appointments just to talk about next steps, he is always accommodating and takes the time to ensure all of our questions are answered. I am also a very direct person who wants an honest assessment of the situation, even if it's tough to hear. When I'm told overly positive things repeatedly and then experience disappointment, that makes me distrustful. I realize that this helps some patients, but it is not something that works for me. This is why Dr. B is a perfect fit for me. We have had to have quite a few tough discussions over the course of my treatment (he diagnosed 2 of my 3 miscarriages, had a discussion about donor eggs, as well as discussed use of a gestational carrier) and he has been fantastic. He has a way of being direct about the tough things, but is compassionate and helps you understand the full picture. Dr. B opened my mind to the possibility of egg donation after a couple of egg retrievals with less than desirable results but let me know that they would continue to try with my eggs as long as I was willing. He also was honest with us when we asked about a Gestational Carrier, stating that it was our best shot for the one genetically normal embryo we have frozen. Because of Dr. B, we hope to transfer to a gestational carrier in November with our own embryo and hope to transfer to me in December with a donor embryo. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. B. I truly believe we are on our current course because of him and I have 100% faith that he is leading us in the right direction.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
If you are somebody who wants all the details of your diagnosis and treatment plan, likes to ask questions, and wants someone who will give you honesty, ask for Dr. B to be your primary doctor (or Dr. S). If you get overwhelmed by the details and want a doctor that will give you more general encouragement, ask for Dr. A to be your primary doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I switched to Dr. B in early 2019 because after 2 years of care at IRH, I realized that I had established the best rapport with Dr. B and that he spoke my language. He takes the time to explain my diagnosis and treatment cycle to me, which is extremely important for me personally. I never feel like he is in too much of a hurry to answer my questions. I also know that every time he sees me he knows who I am and my history and not just because he looked at my chart 5 minutes before my appointment. He is direct and tells me what I need to hear, but does it in a way that is kind and compassionate.
Describe the protocols Thomas Burwinkel used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
Egg Retrieval 1 with Dr. B (3 Overall): 225 Gonal F, 150 Menopur, Cetrotide = 7 Eggs Retrieved, 2 Blastocysts, 1 PGS Normal Embryo. With this cycle, he added an extra vial of Menopur to attempt to get a 4:1 Ratio of FSH to LH in hopes of retrieving more eggs. The strategy worked as I had only ever had 3 eggs retrieved previously. Egg Retrieval 2 with Dr B (4th Retrieval Overall): Femara 5MG Per Day Cycle Days 3-7, 225 Gonal F & 150 Menopur Starting Day 3, Cetrotide (NOTE: Dr. S recommended this cycle) = 9 Eggs Retrieved, 3 Blastocysts, 0 PGS Normal Embryos. With this cycle, Femara was added in hopes of getting more quality eggs. Egg Retrieval 3 with Dr B (5th Retrieval Overall): F 225 Gonal F & 150 Menopur Starting Day 3, Cetrotide: 4 Eggs Retrieved, 1 Blastocyst, 0 PGS Normal Embryos. With this cycle, we started out with less than an ideal follicle pattern, so our expectations weren't as high out of the gate. The thought was to go back to the retrieval where we got a good embryo and I 100% agreed with this strategy. If I had to go back and do it again, I would do the same protocol. Dr. B also ordered all of my recurrent loss testing after my 3rd miscarriage (which was with a PGS Normal Embryo). He tested for Thyroid Levels, Blood Clotting Disorders, and Auto Immune Disorders. He also recommended a uterine biopsy for an ERA Test for Embryo Transfer Timing & Receptiva Test for Endometriosis. Blood Tests came back with slightly elevated Prolactin & TSH. While he did not believe this is my primary issue, he started me on Levothyroxine. The ERA test came back normal. The Receptiva Test came back positive for inflammation associated with endometriosis. The strategy here was to test me for everything under the sun since I had been pregnant 3 times and all 3 resulted in miscarriage, with the last one being a PGS Normal embryo. Even if we hadn't diagnosed anything, at least we could have eliminated them as possibilities. This was a strategy that I was 100% on board with and would do over again. Treatment for endometriosis consisted of 2 months of Lupron Depot Injections, which put your ovaries into a temporary state of menopause in an effort to get rid of the inflammation associated with endometriosis. We have decided to repeat the biopsy after treatment is completed before attempting an embryo transfer with donor eggs. This repeat test was particularly important to me because I don't want to do an embryo transfer without knowing that the Receptiva Test is negative and I was thrilled that Dr. B was supportive of repeating the test. Our Egg Donor Cycle is currently in process. Our Egg Donor (a known donor) is doing Gonal F and Cetrotide with doses to be determined. Dr. B recommended considering an egg donor after our 1st egg retrieval (2nd cycle as 1st was cancelled) yielded only 3 eggs and no PGS Normal Embryos. We did 4 more egg retrievals after that resulting in only 2 PGS Normal Embryos. So, after 5 egg retrievals and only 1 Frozen PGS Normal Embryo left, we decided it was time to move onto the egg donor waiting in the wings. His suggestion earlier on in the process allowed us to get our egg donor lined up but to continue with our own retrievals until we were ready to move onto the egg donor. We elected to do PGS Testing on our Donor Embryos, which is unusual, but given my history with loss, we were only interested in proceeding with embryos confirmed to be genetically normal. Again, Dr. B was supportive of our wishes and helped us formulate the plan. Finally, we are doing a frozen embryo transfer cycle with our 1 remaining PGS Normal Embryo and a Gestational Carrier (known carrier/friend). Our Carrier took several weeks of Lupron Injections to down regulate her ovaries and will take normal estrace/progersterone protocol for a frozen embryo transfer. When we brought up our concerns about how few of our own embryos we had, Dr. B was in agreement that a Gestational Carrier was our best chance of success. He recognized our priorities and we appreciated his candor and honesty in his recommendation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Price)
First, I want to note that generally speaking, patients are not assigned a primary nurse or care coordinator at IRH. Sarah Price and Lizzie West are in charge of the Egg Donor and Gestational Carrier programs at IRH. Since we are coordinating care of both an Egg Donor and a Gestational Carrier in addition to my treatment cycles in a relatively small window, our treatment plan is extremely complicated. Given her position as coordinating egg donors and gestational carriers, Sarah Price stepped up became our primary nurse. With that being said, I cannot say enough great things about Sarah. She has been absolutely amazing. She is exceptionally supportive, extremely organized, walks me through all the details, answers all of my questions (there are a lot), and truly makes me feel like she is invested in our success. She has truly gone above and beyond for us and I am so incredibly grateful for her help. As stated above though, if you are not one of the extremely complicated cases, you will not have an assigned nurse or coordinator. IRH has a team of standard treatment nurses and a team of IVF nurses. Overall, I would say that the team of IRH nurses are pretty amazing. They're knowledgeable, patient, and supportive. One thing I would definitely recommend is to write down the names of the nurses who have been particularly helpful to you. While you don't get to pick the nurses that you see at your appointments, it is helpful to know the ones that have worked well with you in the past. In addition to Sarah, who I mentioned above, some of my absolute favorite nurses are Mindy who has drawn my blood a zillion times and always takes great care of me, Devin who did my Lupron Depot injection (which is intramuscular) and I didn't even feel it, Jackie who was my nurse several times for egg retrievals and even called to congratulate me when we found out we had a normal embryo, Katie who was my nurse for several egg retrievals and is absolutely amazing, and Sarah (a different Sarah than above) who has walked me through the instructions for some of our tougher cycles. There are plenty of other great nurses there. These are just some of the ones who have been exceptional during my treatment.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strengths: Convenient Locations, Prompt Call Backs, Compassionate, Knowledgeable, and Supportive Staff, relatively short wait times, clear instructions and treatment plans. Weaknesses: High Volume so it can feel like you're a number (some of that is on you though - if you seek out the right doctors and nurses you won't), you won't get a live person when you call (but they will call you back same day) Recommendation for patients: Your experience will be better if you are proactive and take ownership of your journey. If you have questions ask them. If you have a preferred doctor or doctors, try to schedule with them as much as possible. If you want an extra consult to talk about your treatment, schedule one. If you're nervous about something, don't wait, call them. Keep track of your medications, follow up with them to make sure things are being done timely, etc. They do an amazing job, but it's a high volume clinic so your journey will be so much smoother if you are on top of everything and help them be the care team you need.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health.
This really depends on whether you are out of pocket or insured. IVF with PGS Testing Out of Pocket (all in for meds etc): $24,000 Embryo Transfer: $4500 Screening for Gestational Carrier and Husband: $2700 Screening for Me (to use Gestational Carrier): $1700 Multi Cycle Package for PGS Testing: $2150 With insurance it is significantly cheaper. Once we hit our deductible, IVF without an embryo transfer was about $600. The PGS Testing is $2150 in addition to the $600 but we should potentially get reimbursed for that from insurance. These costs are really going to vary depending on your insurance coverage.
Describe Thomas Burwinkel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
All of the doctors at our clinic typically prefer single embryo transfers. We have always used PGS tested embryos, and in those cases, they will only transfer 1 embryo.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I wouldn't say that things have gone wrong necessarily. It's more that things *could* have gone wrong if I hadn't been paying attention. For Example: (1) If I hadn't kept a meticulous inventory of my IVF medication, we would have been scrambling mid cycle to get additional medication (I know this is relatively common, but I prefer not to have to deal with it) (2) I would have lost a month of my treatment because we didn't have the proper prior authorization for my Lupron Depot Injections. This wasn't necessarily their fault - actually it was more the pharmacy - but if I hadn't been persistent, we would not have gotten the medication on time. (3) At one of our Pre-Retrieval instructions sessions, a nurse gave us conflicting instructions for a PGS cycle. It actually really freaked me out because it was our first retrieval. I called back and requested to have someone walk us through it again to ensure I understood and everything got clarified. (4) A prior authorization was not submitted timely and we had to miss a month for our retrieval cycle (no harm done - we did a uterine biopsy instead, but it still did result in the change of our treatment cycle). So, like I said in my previous response, it is in the patient's best interest to make sure they are an informed patient and proactive in the management of their treatment. Only you know your history the best, so be proactive and help them give you the best treatment possible.
Cincinnati

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health.

Michael Scheiber was an extremely upbeat and friendly guy. His knowledge made me feel extremely comfortable through the process from multiple check ups, egg retrieval all the way to the transfer. I always left the office knowing I was in good hands. ... We chose a 5 day embryo through PGS for transfer ... During every appointment, he would refer to my husband and I by our first name as if he knew us. He has an extremely friendly and compassionate demeanor
Better schedule/ timeline of events. I always wanted to know what was next and had a calendar of my own. The amount of paperwork was daunting. I know there is no way around it, but better communication [from Institute for Repro Health] of what was needed when so my husband and I could have been better prepared! ... There was a line to leave the nursing staff a message. I would call with anything- concerns etc. they would always call back in a timely manner knowing my full history.
There is a lot of paperwork! Always check in to see if you have everything signed. Medicine is expensive and on-going. Be prepared if pregnant to order endometrin and estradiol multiple times. Best through an online pharmacy!
Period Day 1: Tuesday, June 11th Start Birth Control: Thursday, June 13th -Spotting on Sunday, June 16th Preliminary Doctor’s Appointment to see how B.C. Is working: Wednesday, June 26th. He said everything looked great and that I would produce multiple eggs due to PCOS -Stop Birth Control July 3 -July 4, July 5 and July 6 no birth control. Very crampy and spotty especially on the last day -Start Follistim and Menopur July 7th. 125 of the follistim and 1 vial of Manipur -Mid Medication Follow Up July 10th at 3:45pm. Follicles progressing good. Start to take Ganirelix on Thursday. Lower Follistim dosage on Friday. -Follow Up July 13th at 10:00am: left side follicles are growing slower. Right side is on track. Next appointment scheduled for Monday. Predicted egg retrieval for Friday, July 19th. -Follow Up Follow Up July 15th at 8:45am. Had to purchase another gani. -Egg Retrieval day. Took vicodin at 7:15am. I arrived at IRH at 7:45am and they took me back on the bed. Pumped fluids through my hand since they couldn’t find a vein. Antibiotics and a relaxant medicine. A window behind the light with a person behind it. Dr. Scheiber recited my name to the nurses in the room and what they were here for. I felt everything that the doctor did but it was quick. Wheeled me back. Was in so much pain. Nurse Melissa told me they retrieved 17 eggs. -Saturday, 8:20am, nurse called and told me all 17 of my eggs were mature and out of that 12 fertilized -Thursday the 25th at 12:06pm nurse called me to tell me I had 6 Day 5/ Day 6 embryos -Started my period Saturday evening 27th/ 28th Sunday morning. Left nurse voicemail Saturday evening. Nurse called Sunday morning. Scheduled lining check on August 8th. Tentative transfer on 16th. Take estradiol 3 times a day -Wednesday 31st institute in Nashville called to say they received the samples and it will take 5 to 7 days for biopsy results -Appointment on August 8th- all embryos normal and healthy. 5 boys, 1 girl -August 16th transfer date
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Better schedule/ timeline of events. I always wanted to know what was next and had a calendar of my own. The amount of paperwork was daunting. I know there is no way around it, but better communication of what was needed when so my husband and I could have been better prepared!
$16,235 for IVF with PGD. Medications and Biopsy costs were separate
No comment. We chose a 5 day embryo through PGS for transfer
Cincinnati

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Scheiber at Institute for Reproductive Health.

Dr. Burwinkel is very kind and caring. His bedside manner was great and he always ensured I understood the treatment process. When I had questions, he took time to listen. He took the time to answer each of my questions and never acted rushed. For my egg retrieval, he came to see me before and after the procedure. He always made sure I was comfortable throughout the process.
Strengths [of Inst for Repro Health] are that the appointments are not long, staff are compassionate, they have a great bedside manner and there is an open line of communication. Weaknesses are that you might not always see the same doctor if they are not in that day ... The nursing staff was amazing. They always responded to questions left on the nurse line, provided reassurance and ensured my comfort .
I would definitely recommend him and never be afraid to ask questions.
Dr. Burkwinkel has a great bedside manner and takes time to talk to patients.
Dr. Burwinkel used femera and ovidrel with my IUIs. I always responded positively but never got pregnant. He used menopur, gonal f, cetrotide and ovidrel for my IVF. I also responded well and had 25 mature eggs. I was given dostinex after my retrieval to help against hyperstimulation. I did not end up with hyperstimulation and was able to have a fresh transfer.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strengths are that the appointments are not long, staff are compassionate, they have a great bedside manner and there is an open line of communication. Weaknesses are that you might not always see the same doctor if they are not in that day.
$15000 for 3 IUIs and 1 IVF
I was not happy with the thought of an eset at first but Dr. Burwinkel explained the risk of embryos splitting and multiples with more than one embryo being transferred. I am now grateful because I got pregnant with a healthy single baby from my first IVF.

Endometriosis, Male Factor
I don’t have a lot of hands on with the [nursing] staff as Dr B [Burwinkel] is very hands on and takes control of all my appointments. ... Before we started IUI, he ordered a test to look at my uterus and ovaries to make sure they were clear and looked good. ... Dr B is always very involved in all my appointments. He will call me Himself to discuss any and al questions I have. He gives me his honest opinion and I never feel he is forcing decisions on me. Never once has he pushed for something to help numbers. I truly feel he knows how hard this journey is and wants to help us get our baby.
There is one dr that is nice but I feel she just wants to be in and out. I chalked it up to I’m not her “patient “ so I just don’t see her anymore. I do like they [Institute for Reproductive Health] have multiple locations. They always call back super fast (typically same day) and I’ve never had any issues scheduling my appointments. I feel really comfortable going in to talk to Dr B and know he’s going to be straightforward with me.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
I was at another clinic and the dr never came in to speak with me or complete my ultrasounds or testings. I decided to change to this clinic and saw one other dr in the practice but voices that is rather keep all appointments with Dr B and he’s been great at making sure he keeps up with our treatment. He takes his time and I’ve never one time felt rushed. He chit chats with my husband which makes my husband feel more comfortable coming to my appointments with me. He always acknowledges my feelings and sets me up for how things can or may go. I love that he’s very blunt and to the point. I don’t want a dr to sugar coat anything with how much we are investing into our journey. I don’t want false hope! I always look forward to seeing Dr B and hearing what plans he has for our treatment. After every IUI he days he prays this is our time and I really feel he means it!
Don’t expect him to beat around the bush. Very forthcoming
Before we started IUI, he ordered a test to look at my uterus and ovaries to make sure they were clear and looked good. During this he found polyps in my uterus and he removed them successfully during surgery. He then scheduled my first IUI using letrozole and then did an ultrasound to check my follicles and gave me the date for my trigger shot. This was the same approach on each IUI. Ultimately my IUIs weren’t successful but endometriosis has a role in that outcome. He also did a progesterone check 1 week after my last IUI per my request to help ease my mind.
I don’t have a lot of hands on with the staff as Dr B is very hands on and takes control of all my appointments. The times I have interacted with the nursing staff they are very polite and professional. They always make sure to wish us luck as we leave our appointments
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I was at another clinic closer to me and decided to move to this clinic and so far I’m very happy I did. It’s very clean, quiet, and helps to calm my nerves. The staff has always been great. There is one dr that is nice but I feel she just wants to be in and out. I chalked it up to I’m not her “patient “ so I just don’t see her anymore. I do like they have multiple locations. They always call back super fast (typically same day) and I’ve never had any issues scheduling my appointments. I feel really comfortable going in to talk to Dr B and know he’s going to be straightforward with me.
So far my insurance has covered everything for my IUIs and most of my meds. I’m not sure what the out of pocket costs are.
We have only had an IVF consult so far, but he likes to do a single transfer starting out. He is open to multiple transfers if at least two IVF transfers were unsuccessful.
Cincinnati

Dr. Awadalla seems like a true expert and was very professional. I couldn't always see him because he doesn't work everyday and my cycles didn't work out that way, but he was there for the two biggest days (egg retrieval and embryo transfer)...make sure that you come in with questions because otherwise you will get hustled out of there. He'll answer questions but he doesn't chat through everything in detail otherwise...we did a single embryo transfer after freezing for a month because I developed OHSS.
Some of the nurses [at IRH] were better than others. The nurse I had on the day of my retrieval (Stephanie) was amazing. The nurse who did my "IVF Education Day" gave a lot of information but I felt like it was very rushed. In general, I think the nurses are very compassionate but they deal with this all day every day, so there's not a very personal touch...Good: Free parking, early appointments, multiple locations around the city, affiliated lab right next door. Financial people are AWESOME and really know their stuff. Bad: Always felt a little rushed - they crank through a lot of people in one day.
Do your research ahead of time and make sure that you come in with questions because otherwise you will get hustled out of there. He'll answer questions but he doesn't chat through everything in detail otherwise.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I always felt a little rushed in the office. He doesn't do much explanation and leaves that to the nurses. He always seems very confident and is realistic about what his recommendations are, but I never felt like I had enough time with him.
After doing a round of clomid+intercourse with my OB-GYN, Dr. Awadalla did a round of IUI (femara+IUI). Because I have PCOS, we moved to IVF for the next step. We did birth control for 3 weeks so that I could go on a vacation, then 10 days of injections at a very low dose (150). We triggered with lupron and a normal trigger at a lower dose. They retrieved 33 eggs, 31 of which were mature, and 29 fertilized (no ISCI). We ended up with 23 embryos (19 day 5 blasts, 4 day 6 blasts). We did not do PGS. Just yesterday, we did a single embryo transfer after freezing for a month because I developed OHSS.
Some of the nurses were better than others. The nurse I had on the day of my retrieval (Stephanie) was amazing. The nurse who did my "IVF Education Day" gave a lot of information but I felt like it was very rushed. In general, I think the nurses are very compassionate but they deal with this all day every day, so there's not a very personal touch.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I was fortunate enough to have most of my costs covered by Fertility insurance. I did pay about $500 for medications/injections and about $250/appointment.
Describe Sherif Awadalla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
The doctor strongly recommended eSET based on the quality of our embryos and my age. We agreed with this recommendation based on the risks to mother and child(ren) associated with multiples.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
One of my appointments was scheduled at the wrong location for this clinic. They were able to get me in to the clinic that I went to but I had to wait a little bit, but I think they handled it really well.

Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Other
I only had two embryos from this fresh cycle [with Dr. Scheiber and I had two failed transfers previously so he recommended that we transfer both to increase our chances...I feel like the retrieval caught me off guard because it was a light twilight sedation so I was awake during the surgery. I was never awake with my 3 previous retrievals at another RE so I was not expecting this. I was not informed beforehand that I would be awake. It was not pleasant. Transfer went smoothly. When I got the negative BETA I feel like the news was said to me in a gentle manner.
I felt like the clinic [IRH] had our best interest at heart. I did not feel rushed in the appointments and they answered our questions thoroughly. They showed sincerity and empathy for what I have been through on this journey...I primarily dealt with Katie [nurse] and I loved her. She was very sweet and quick to respond to my emails and phone calls. IRH does NOT use a patient portal although Katie told me they were working on that and I still didnt feel a lack in communication there.
Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Other
I felt that he was thorough when discussing my protocol and I understood everything. I feel like the retrieval caught me off guard because it was a light twilight sedation so I was awake during the surgery. I was never awake with my 3 previous retrievals at another RE so I was not expecting this. I was not informed beforehand that I would be awake. It was not pleasant. Transfer went smoothly. When I got the negative BETA I feel like the news was said to me in a gentle manner.
Same with all doctors and that is to ask a LOT of questions!
I felt like the clinic had our best interest at heart. I did not feel rushed in the appointments and they answered our questions thoroughly. They showed sincerity and empathy for what I have been through on this journey.
We prepped with birth control and lupron beforehand to suppress everything before I started. I am a high responder so he chose to use a menopur only cycle 225iu per night. We continued lupron though stims to prevent ovulation. For transfer only crinone vaginal cream twice daily.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
I primarily dealt with Katie and I loved her. She was very sweet and quick to respond to my emails and phone calls. IRH does NOT use a patient portal although Katie told me they were working on that and I still didnt feel a lack in communication there.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I think the clinic is wonderful. I feel like I was treated as a human being. I think they have great pricing in comparison to most of the clinics in this area. They truly want you to have success. I feel like they care more about you than their profit. I had no issues with billing or the nurse staff. The lab they work with Ovation is good too and treated my husband well for his analysis. The only thing I did not care for was the fact that they didn't notify me that I would be awake for egg retrieval. They don't use an anesthesiologist and the nurse administers your anesthesia. This wasn't how things were done at my previous clinic so I was taken off guard on retrieval day.
8200 self pay for IVF cycle which included a fresh transfer PGS, ICSI, FET was additional
I only had two embryos from this fresh cycle and I had two failed transfers previously so he recommended that we transfer both to increase our chances.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The main thing I had go wrong was that no one bothered to inform me that I would be awake during retrieval. I wasn't mentally prepared to be awake for that and to feel the pain that I felt during the surgery. I felt blindsided but they did apologize to me afterwards.
Cincinnati

I would hear one thing from Dr. Scheiber and something different from the nurses - Which happened on multiple occasions....My biggest issue at the moment is my husband and I were thinking about if we should have genetic testing done. We don't want to keep transferring embryos if they're not good embryos.... We were told by Dr.Scheiber "There's no reason to test unless you have multiple failed transfers." Well we've had one fail and just started researching the idea of screening the other frozen embryos.
I feel like a number at IRH....a big freak out moment that could have been prevented was when I received my paperwork on my transfer day. There was a picture of my embryo that was transferred with the grading and my name on the form. But under "Date of birth" it stated a different date - not my birthday!... I call the clinic and the nurse tells me that's a default date of birth and to ignore it. My husband and I, as well as my parents, were so frustrated with this situation.
I feel as if IRH does not care to educate their patients or provide individualized information. They repeat the same responses over and over and don't seem to want to deviate from their "recommendation." If I don't come up with the question myself, there's no way the doctors, nurses, or billing will voluntarily give me any extra information I need or let me know what's going on with my body. I would hear one thing from Dr. Scheiber and something different from the nurses - Which happened on multiple occasions. I feel like since day one the lack of organization, incompetency, inconsistency in knowledge of anything in general (mostly from particular nurses) has been a negative experience. My biggest issue at the moment is my husband and I were thinking about if we should have genetic testing done. We don't want to keep transferring embryos if they're not good embryos. (I personally think this should be part of the IVF process in general, at least to transfer the best one's first, but that's just me.) Anyways, no one discussed the option of testing and the pros/cons of doing so during the IVF process and fresh transfer (yet we found out they advise testing on fresh rather than frozen). We were told by Dr.Scheiber "There's no reason to test unless you have multiple failed transfers." Well we've had one fail and just started researching the idea of screening the other frozen embryos. At my ultrasound on Monday, we asked what Dr.Scheiber thought about testing. He said, the same as before, "let's wait." Well, we called the day after my ultrasound and left a voicemail. A nurse called us back and said, "We don't do genetic testing on frozen embryos." I cannot believe they're just now telling me this. I've asked about testing my embryos multiple times and no mention of this. After a frustrating conversation, she got off the phone, talked to Dr.Scheiber and called me back saying, "Well, we can test them, but it's not advised." Moral of this particular story and situation is the inconsistent information from doctor to patient, to nurse to patient, and so on. This is a huge deal. Testing embryos is a newer procedure, so if that decision should've been made earlier on, they need to make sure that's a heavy conversation and discuss the options with their patients. Last week I spoke to the nurse manager and her answer to a question about my period was, "Well, that's like looking into a crystal ball." Are you kidding me? That's how an infertility clinic is talking to patients? It's already an emotional time, they are supposed to be the experts and professionals. Compassionate and knowledgeable. I'm having a very hard time processing my present situation. This grant could help me start my journey at a new facility and I would be over the moon to receive such a gift.
I would advise a new patient to ask him as many questions as possible and do not leave the appointment until he's answered everything as clear as possible and in as much detail as you need. Also, write everything down!
I feel like a number at IRH. Not necessarily or specifically from Dr. Scheiber, but from everyone as a whole. I feel rushed throughout my ultrasounds and doctor's visits. No one truly understands how they need to treat patients in that field at this institute.
I was on birth control for a couple weeks to stop my ovulation, then moved on to my injections to stimulate my ovaries, follicles and eggs. I was on Gonal-F 175 and Menopur 1 vial for 10 days. I added Cetrotide halfway through that, and my trigger shot Oviderel 26 hours or so before my egg retrieval. I didn't have to increase or decrease my dosages and my hormone levels adjusted as they were supposed to. We retrieved 17 eggs, 13 fertilized, 8 developed into embryos. I started vaginal progesterone supplements 3 times/day on the day of my egg retrieval. My fresh transfer was on day 5 blastocysts. I transferred 1 blast but received a negative pregnancy test two weeks later. Fast forward a couple months and I'm now scheduled for a frozen embryo transfer in two weeks! I'm on estrogen 3 times a day and I start Progesterone again 6 days before my FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Penny)
I included this information in previous answers.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Weaknesses: Organization skills (Outdated paperwork and forms), Statistical knowledge for individual's situations, Compassion Strengths: Doctors are professional, Nurse Katie is amazing, Institute's stats are high
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Ultrasounds ran smoothly. I was always able to get in and out.
We've gone through IVF with ICSI and have a FET scheduled and we've spent around $15,000.
Dr.Scheiber and every other doctor at IRH recommends and highly suggests 1 single embryo transfer for patients first and second transfer. I thought about transferring 2 on my first fresh transfer, but then decided to go with 1. I believe they allow it, but you must sign consent forms. I'm 75% sure I'm going to transfer 2 on my next transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Aside from information I've already provided, a big freak out moment that could have been prevented was when I received my paperwork on my transfer day. There was a picture of my embryo that was transferred with the grading and my name on the form. But under "Date of birth" it stated a different date - not my birthday! So I start crying and freaking out, thinking I have someone else's embryo inside of of me. I call the clinic and the nurse tells me that's a default date of birth and to ignore it. My husband and I, as well as my parents, were so frustrated with this situation. The nurse had an attitude on the phone, like this was a silly question of mine. That was an extremely scary moment! Why have "Date of birth" on your important embryo doctor's statement if they are not going to have the patients birthday on there?!? Wow.
Cincinnati

During my initial consult he [Dr. Scheiber] was very thorough and detailed about our medical history and our plan. He can sometimes talk quickly leaving me with questions and not quite understanding everything. However, anytime this has happened I have had my questions answered promptly.... So far I have done three rounds of Femara, to help with follicle formulation and growth. From there I had follicle scans to determine when they were adequate size and mature enough to release the egg. After follicles were appropriate size I was given a trigger shit called Ovidrel to release the egg and cause me to ovulate.
They [Institute for Reproductive Health] are very thorough, professional, and personable. They give you price lists for treatment ahead of time so you are prepared. Never a long wait for appointments. I have not experienced any weaknesses that stick out at this time... Each IUI cycle has been approximately $1200 for me and then the cost of my husbands sperm washing which was $250... They have always been quick to return my calls, answer questions,
During my initial consult he was very thorough and detailed about our medical history and our plan. He can sometimes talk quickly leaving me with questions and not quite understanding everything. However, anytime this has happened I have had my questions answered promptly. I do feel that he is extremely knowledgeable and caring, especially in these situations.
Come prepared. Think of questions you may have and have any tests results or medical history available. This helps you get the most from your consult and future appointments.
He is very thorough but sometimes consults and appointments are quick and leave you with questions but he is always happy to deal with those if they arise.
So far I have done three rounds of Femara, to help with follicle formulation and growth. From there I had follicle scans to determine when they were adequate size and mature enough to release the egg. After follicles were appropriate size I was given a trigger shit called Ovidrel to release the egg and cause me to ovulate. Approximately 36 hours later I would go in to have my IUI. We started with IUI due to months of trying with timed intercourse and husbands low sperm account.
They have always been quick to return my calls, answer questions, and are very personable. Always pleasant and understanding.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
They are very thorough, professional, and personable. They give you price lists for treatment ahead of time so you are prepared. Never a long wait for appointments. I have not experienced any weaknesses that stick out at this time other than distance I have to travel but that is out of their control.
No comment at this time

Male Factor, Other
I feel that Dr Scheiber has a great deal of experience and is very knowledgeable. He tends to be more on the business side with the right amount of compassion. He is very detailed and I felt as if he gave me all my options at each step and made sure I knew what would be happening.... Now that I have miscarriage twice, Dr Scheiber plans on doing more in depth testing to see if there is potentially something wrong with me.
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health- Cincinnati] is very organized and has great practices set into place. The atmosphere is updated and nice and everything is done on site so the experience is easy. They call back quickly and are great at making sure your feel comfortable. The wait times for appointments are pretty much non existent. They are always ready for me at my appointment time.
Male Factor, Other
I would suggest to have a list of questions ready and now be afraid to ask all of them. Doctors are busy but don’t feel rushed. It’s your appointment.
Dr. Scheiber has always given me any information I needed and has always taken the time to listen and answer any questions or concerns I might have.
The reason my husband and I needed IVF was because of a failed vasectomy reversal and there was no signs that I had an fertility issues so our protocol was pretty simple. Low dosages and we were able to have a great egg retrieval. After the first fresh transfer I miscarried and knew of was semi normal for that to happen since we didn’t do any embryo testing. Now that I have miscarriage twice, Dr Scheiber plans on doing more in depth testing to see if there is potentially something wrong with me.
The nursing staff is amazing and knowledgeable. They take their time to answer any questions and return call quickly.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very organized and has great practices set into place. The atmosphere is updated and nice and everything is done on site so the experience is easy. They call back quickly and are great at making sure your feel comfortable. The wait times for appointments are pretty much non existent. They are always ready for me at my appointment time.
Ivf cycle with fresh transfer and medication roughly $14,000 (cash only) Frozen transfer with medication $5000 (cash only)
Cincinnati

At my first appointment with Dr. Scheiber we sat down and he listened to my husband and I talk about the doctors we have been to, the miscarriages we have went through, the joy of finding out we were pregnant with our daughter, our pleads to help us conceive again, every emotion we were feeling he listened to. Dr. Scheiber wasn't in a rush to get to his next appointment, he really listened to us and helped us to feel better about the next stages for us to be able to conceive again. Doctor Nps
The nursing staff [at IRH] is great! Everytime I call with questions or concerns they always call me back quickly. They have communicated with the doctor when I had concerns that needed addressed...Everyone here has been very welcoming and warm to us. Their greatest strength has been communication. They are quick to return phone calls, or answer any questions you may have. The only weakness that I have experienced so far is that the location is a little busy. I drive over an hour to get there, and it is in a very busy area so plan for extra time if traveling from a distance.
Dr. Scheiber has been a great doctor for us! Before coming to Dr. Scheiber we had honestly almost given up on being able to have another child. We will be starting IVF with Dr. Scheiber next week, and though we know there isn't a guarantee that everything will work out, he has taught us that we have so many options and different ways for us to be able to have another child.
I will be starting IVF next week so I haven't started injections yet. Dr. Scheiber has had me taking birth control until my baseline appointment because I have PCOS, the birth control is being used to shrink any follicles before starting the injections.
The nursing staff is great! Everytime I call with questions or concerns they always call me back quickly. They have communicated with the doctor when I had concerns that needed addressed.
2012 - 2018
The first time he [Dr. Sherif Awadalla] had me on birth control before starting injection medication. I didn’t have as many eggs as he would like to have so he adjusted and took away the birth control. Then the third time he decided to add Femara. We did ICSI each time because we had male factor infertility and each time we put back 2 embryos.... He always answered any questions I had. Dr. Awadalla made sure to be gentle, and he personally would call me after treatments to find out how I was and or our next steps.
I rarely waited for any long length of time [at Institute for Reproductive Health- Cincinnati]. Even when I was taken to a room the doctor was always in pretty quickly. In order to call in to a nurse you had to leave a message but the call was always returned in a timely manner.... One nurse in particular was amazing. She comforted me when I needed it and gave me the information when I needed it. She was always understanding and even when I had what I thought was a silly request she was fine with what I needed.
2012 - 2018
I immediately felt like Dr. Awadalla was incredibly knowledgeable. I was put at ease because in my opinion he was trustworthy. My husband and I could always ask him any question. This was also how the other doctors in the office were.
I would say to trust Dr. Awadalla’s knowledge and process and know that he will do what is best for you.
The first time he had me on birth control before starting injection medication. I didn’t have as many eggs as he would like to have so he adjusted and took away the birth control. Then the third time he decided to add Femara. We did ICSI each time because we had male factor infertility and each time we put back 2 embryos.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I rarely waited for any long length of time. Even when I was taken to a room the doctor was always in pretty quickly. In order to call in to a nurse you had to leave a message but the call was always returned in a timely manner.
We did a money back guarantee. After we found out we qualified we did the guarantee that said if after 3 IVF fresh cycles and 3 frozen cycles we still didn’t have a baby we would get a percentage of our money back.
Dr. Awadalla made it clear it was our choice about how many embryos we transferred.

PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
He [Dr. Michael Scheiber] seems to share in our frustration that the process isn't working and we don't know why. He's also been very upfront with his recommendations. I really appreciate that he also gives levels of treatment. Everything from "the gold standard" to something a little less expensive but he still fully backs. Also - he understands my need to try to do every little thing to try to help the process along - so he was ready with recommendations for acupuncturists and supplements. I always feel like he's one step ahead.
PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I think that Dr. Scheiber is really a great doctor. There isn't much negative to say at all. He seems to share in our frustration that the process isn't working and we don't know why. He's also been very upfront with his recommendations. I really appreciate that he also gives levels of treatment. Everything from "the gold standard" to something a little less expensive but he still fully backs. Also - he understands my need to try to do every little thing to try to help the process along - so he was ready with recommendations for acupuncturists and supplements. I always feel like he's one step ahead.
Ask a LOT of questions and don't be worried if you think your question is stupid. He's had almost every question asked before and there isn't anything stupid you can ask. He is VERY patient and will say the same thing a few times if you need that.
Dr. Scheiber is really a fantastic doctor. He's incredibly kind, thoughtful, and careful with his exams and through the whole process. He somehow always remembers past conversations, and manages to smile and be encouraging even when things aren't going our way. He's also really great at giving you the full picture. He will tell you fairly clearly if there is a treatment that he doesn't like, or doesn't think you need.
This cycle is fairly similar to all my other cycles. He started me off with 14ish days of birth control ( to get control of the cycle), then a baseline scan, Then a few days of just gonal-f ( 200 units) and Menopur (one vial). After my second scan, cetrotide was added. I've had a couple scans since the addition of my cetrotide, and my gonal-f was bumped to 250 to try to encourage a bit more growth. I'm taking ovidrel for my trigger shot
The nurses at IRH are wonderful! They fully take the time to answer questions, or just listen to you talk if you need to. They are all on your team so much and it really shows
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
IRH is a great clinic with an excellent success rate! The offices are beautiful, clean, and very comfortable. The equipment also seems to be very up to date. The biggest negative about IRH is that when you call the IVF nurse line, you have to leave a message and wait for a call back. I understand that the volume of people they serve is huge and its impossible for them to take all the calls as they come in, but its VERY frustrating to have to wait for a call back for EVERY question. It would be nice if they could also provide an email or online chat for quick questions or verification.
I know the cost of medicine for my full ivf cycle is around $4,000. I don't remember the exact cost of the procedure as they are now covered by insurance. But I believe around $15,000
Usually Dr. Scheiber only does single embryo at a time. Mostly this is because a singleton pregnancy has fewer complications then multiples. If you are older or - like me- have had several unsuccessful cycles and/or chemical pregnancies etc...there is a case to be made for doing multiple. It seems like he's trying to make sure that as far as can be controlled - everything is smooth as can be
Cincinnati

I know a lot of clinics want you at a specific BMI or weight before they even consider tresteing you, and I was worried about that the most before meeting Dr. Burwinkel but that definitely wasn’t the case! He had a game plan and we started treatment right away!...He knows this is hard, he gets it and he understands. He will hear you out and give you the answers you need!... always seemed to be able pick up right where we had left off from previous meetings and appointments. I never had to refresh his memory about previous discussions or treatments.
The nurses [at Institute for Reproductive Health] were very compassionate and understand of situations. They know why we’re there and they seem to care very much in making you comfortable and helping with your success in any way they can...The main negative with IRH to me was the fact that my doctor I was referred to, I only saw two-three times of the many appointments I had. I feel I’m not able to have as good of a relationship with one doctor because you don’t know which doctor you’re going to get that day for your visit or procedure (IUI in my case). I even had a nurse practitioner a couple of times because the clinic was double booked. I wasn’t happy I couldn’t build a closer relationship with the doctors since it feels like you’re always getting passed around.
European, East Asian
Dr. Burwinkel is one of the best doctors that I have ever had. He actually listens to what you have to say, and he doesn’t belittle or make you feel you’re questions or feelings are silly, stupid, or unimportant. He’s optimistic and has a great bedside manner and attitude. I was diagnosed with PCOS (before Dr. Burwinkel) and my weight is a problem resulting from my diagnosis. I know a lot of clinics want you at a specific BMI or weight before they even consider tresteing you, and I was worried about that the most before meeting Dr. Burwinkel but that definitely wasn’t the case! He had a game plan and we started treatment right away! I have nothing bad to say about Dr. Burwinkel! Every meeting I’ve had with him has been as perfect as I could imagine.
Don’t be afraid to ask your questions, no matter how silly or stupid you may think it is! He knows this is hard, he gets it and he understands. He will hear you out and give you the answers you need!
Dr. Burwinkle always seemed to be able pick up right where we had left off from previous meetings and appointments. I never had to refresh his memory about previous discussions or treatments.
With Dr. Burwinkle I was prescribed 1400mg of metformin daily. He then prescribed me to take 5mg (two pills) of letrozole on days 3-7 of my cycle. We then would schedule a scan to check follicle progress on day 11-13 of my cycle. Depending on the progress and maturation of the follicles, I was told when to take my ovidrel trigger shot to induce ovulation. 36 hours after the trigger shot we had our IUI. The first cycle I had one mature follicle and I took my trigger shot approx day 16-18 of my cycle. The second cycle I had to be prescribed more letrozole in the middle of my cycle due to my follicles not being as mature when the doctor wanted. I had to come back for a second scan and was given my trigger shot around day 18-19. The third cycle I had one good mature follicle, and a second one that may or may not have been mature by ovulation day. None of my cycles resulted in any type of pregnancy or success.
The nurses were very compassionate and understand of situations. They know why we’re there and they seem to care very much in making you comfortable and helping with your success in any way they can.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very organized. The whole staff is understanding and always in a pleasant mood. It’s a comfortable and inviting atmosphere. You can tell everyone enjoys their jobs and making a difference in people’s lives. The main negative with IRH to me was the fact that my doctor I was referred to, I only saw two-three times of the many appointments I had. I feel I’m not able to have as good of a relationship with one doctor because you don’t know which doctor you’re going to get that day for your visit or procedure (IUI in my case). I even had a nurse practitioner a couple of times because the clinic was double booked. I wasn’t happy I couldn’t build a closer relationship with the doctors since it feels like you’re always getting passed around.
Copay for appointments: $35 Sperm wash: $225 IUI procedure: $250 Ovidrel trigger shot: $95 Letrozole: $15

Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Awadalla has taken extremely good care of me during my treatment at IRH. He has always maintained a positive outlook for our eventual outcomes and is proactive in adjusting treatments based on the results of our previous cycles. His strengths lie in his knowledge and expertise in the fertility practice as well as his bedside manner....Dr. Awadalla is very pro-single embryo transfer and anti-multi embryo transfer except in special circumstances.
Due to the size of the clinic [Inst for Repro Health] and volume of patients, there are always going to be aspects where you are a number, such as scheduling, but they've done an excellent job setting up a system and as long as you understand the system, they will meet your expectations....Call System: Don't expect to get a live person on the phone when you call. Leave a detailed message with what you need and if you have time restrictions on when you can take their return call let them know. They call you back within 24 hours 99% of the time.
Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Awadalla has taken extremely good care of me during my treatment at IRH. He has always maintained a positive outlook for our eventual outcomes and is proactive in adjusting treatments based on the results of our previous cycles. His strengths lie in his knowledge and expertise in the fertility practice as well as his bedside manner. At times I did feel like he was trying to protect my feelings a little too much, which I appreciate, but being a person who requires lots of details and direct communication, it did sometimes leave me uncertain or with questions. However, once I was able to gather all of my questions, I was always able to get the answers and clarity I needed. I would most certainly recommend Dr. Awadalla to any patient as I feel like we are getting the best care possible with him and IRH.
Make sure to educate yourself and do not be afraid to ask questions, even if you call back after your appointment. They process a lot of patients at IRH but they are really great about taking the necessary time with you if you ask for it.
Due to the size of the clinic and volume of patients, there are always going to be aspects where you are a number, such as scheduling, but they've done an excellent job setting up a system and as long as you understand the system, they will meet your expectations. Dr. Awadalla does an excellent job making you feel like a human. He takes his time to talk to you and answers any questions you have in a compassionate and educated manner.
Cycle 1 - Femara, Ovidrel, Timed Intercourse - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 2 - Femara, Ovidrel,Timed Intercourse - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 3 - Femara, Ovidrel,Timed Intercourse - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 4 - Femara, Ovidrel, IUI - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 5 - Femara, Gonal F (Doses of 75iu to 150 iu), Ovidrel,IUI - Miscarriage, D&C, Genetic Testing showed Trisomy 22 Cycle 6 - Femara, Gonal F (Doses of 75iu to 150 iu), Ovidrel,IUI - Negative Prenancy Test Cycle 7 - Femara, Gonal F (Doses of 75iu to 150 iu), Ovidrel,IUI - Miscarriage, Cytotec Cycle 8 - Birth Control, Gonal F (Doses of 175iu), Cetrotide 25iu - Terminated Cycle due to poor follicle response Cycle 9 - CoQ10 & DHEA Supplements, Gonal F (Doses of 225 iu), Menopur 75iu, Cetrotide 25iu, Ovidrel - 6 Follicles, 3 Eggs Retrieved, 3 Eggs Mature, 3 Eggs Fertilized, 2 Embryos made it to Day 5 Blast and tested with PGS, 2 Abnormal Embryos (Trisomy 6, Trisomy 9) Cycle 10 - CoQ10, DHEA & Vitamin D Supplements, Gonal F (Doses of 250 iu), Menopur 75iu, Cetrotide 25iu, Ovidrel - TBD. Will do PGS Testing again if we have embryos to test.
The vast majority of the nurses are extremely well educated, compassionate, and very good with the patients. They've always taken time to answer my questions and they show tons of empathy in the difficult times. The head IVF Nurse Penny is absolutely incredible. I don't have enough words for how much she has helped in every aspect of our IVF process form ensuring we weren't billed too much to making sure the schedule works and answering every single question I had (or getting the answer from someone else if she didn't know). Believe me, I had a ton. There are a couple nurses (I don't know names) who I haven't meshed with all that well. I didn't necessarily take it as a reflection of their abilities, but rather that my communication style didn't mix well with theirs creating some confusion and anxiety on my end. However, overall that hasn't taken away from my experience in any way as there are tons of nurses there and they've always been awesome about referring me to another nurse if I had more questions or was worried about something. Don't be afraid to ask to talk to someone else!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Efficiency - They're a big clinic but they've got the process down to a science. Follow the process and you'll get what you need Compassion - The staff are extraordinarily compassionate. They care about your outcomes as much as you do. Knowledge/Expertise - IRH knows their stuff and does what they believe is in your best interest medically. Rotating Doctors: Don't go here and expect to have the same doctor every appointment. It's not possible. However, I will say that I have not had a bad experience with any doctor in the clinic. I feel 100% confident in the care and treatment I have gotten from each doctor there. Dr. Awadalla is my assigned doctor and he is wonderful. I have a particular soft spot for Dr. Burwinkle though as he's had to deal with some tough things with me through my treatment and he's a little more direct than Dr. A, which is good for my style. The other doctors are great too. Call System: Don't expect to get a live person on the phone when you call. Leave a detailed message with what you need and if you have time restrictions on when you can take their return call let them know. They call you back within 24 hours 99% of the time. Just follow the system.
Femara - Covered by insurance Ultrasound Scans about $300 per scan, covered by insurance IUI $250 plus cost of sperm washing (covered by husband's insurance) IUI Medications - Ordered through SMP Pharmacy $500 to $1.5K for Gonal F & Ovidrel IVF with PGS - $15,900.00 is their discounted rate and does not include medications or the PGS Testing Lab Fees (Ovation) PGS Testing Lab Fees - about $1,200 for a single cycle with 2 embryos tested, about $2200 for multi-cycle plan for up to 8 embryos tested IVF Medications - $2-5K for Gonal F, Cetrotide & Menopur per cycle
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Here's my recommendation for anyone going to IRH - Remember that you have ultimate control and decision-making authority when going through your treatment. IRH does a ton of work, but you have to do your part as well. Here are a few examples: (1) Medications - Follow up to make sure it gets sent to the pharmacy. If it doesn't, call back and make sure it gets sent. My most recent cycle, if I hadn't called to make sure it was sent, I would not have gotten my medication on time. (2) Treatments - The doctors tell you the treatment they recommend or suggest, but sometimes you have to go with what's best for you. For example, they like IVF better than Injections & IUI because the can control the outcomes better, but if IVF isn't in your budget, don't feel pressured to move to that treatment. After our Femara treatments, Dr. A recommended IVF, but we weren't yet ready to move to that treatment. So, we did a few cycles with Gonal F and IUI before moving to IVF. We eventually did move to IVF with PGS testing because we wanted to reduce the risk of miscarriage after I had 2. Another example would be during my IVF cycle, I didn't respond well to the injections and had a less than ideal follicle count. Dr. A advised us that many couples choose to pass on the PGS testing and do a fresh embryo transfer because of the inherent risk of walking away with nothing with the PGS testing, which is significantly more expensive. I was freaked out and worried for days, but went with my instincts to do the PGS testing anyway because my main goal was not to get pregnant, but to reduce the risk of miscarriage and get pregnant with a viable embryo. I'm glad I followed my instincts because both embryos ended up being abnormal. I know he was just making sure I understood all of my options, but it's important to evaluate what they're telling you against your own treatment objectives and desired outcomes. (3) Pay Attention - After my cancelled IVF Cycle due to poor response, we were getting ready to begin my 2nd cycle and the nurse pulled out my medication schedule from my first cycle. If I wouldn't have been paying attention, I would not have been taking the correct dose. Another example is from my 2nd IVF Cycle with PGS testing we were doing my pre-retrieval information review and the nurse advised us to have intercourse (big no-no with PGS testing). She was under the assumption that due to my less than ideal response we might do a fresh transfer (something I was adamant about not doing) so she started giving us instructions for that instead of PGS. I caught it but was really freaked out after that and asked to have another nurse review the information with me again. Bottom line, if something doesn't seem right or sound right, speak up and ask for clarification. They do the best they can to get you the best treatment they can, but it's also your responsibility to take charge of your care.

2013 - 2018
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The clinic [Institute for Repro Health] is organized, clean and runs well. The low-tech billing seems to happen very rapidly. The IVF billing seems to be delayed, which means a longer delay before I can check the claims status online with my insurance company.... Most of the nurses that I have dealt with have been wonderful. They are familiar with the treatment regimens and able to answer questions. When I did call to report a Day 1 and ask if we should continue with the same approach, the nurse I spoke to told me it was up to me.
2013 - 2018
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr Awadalla determined why I could not conceive (missed by my GYN) and recommended surgery, which he performed. I conceived naturally in 3 cycles after that. For TTC#2, I was older and he shared his concerns with the likelihood of success. Early IUIs were successful, but did not result in live births. After 10 total IUIs, my course of treatment was only adjusted because I asked if it made sense to continue or to look at other options. We have moved on to IVF, but it is still early in the first cycle. I find Dr A to be very accurate in his assessments and knowledgeable. I trust that I am in good hands, for as much as medical science can help me at my age.
Ask a lot of questions. Dr Awadalla is happy to explain the details to patients who are interested. Also ask at what point you should have a consult to evaluate the plans, so you know what to expect.
Dr Awadalla was honest with me and my situation at every step. He was compassionate when he delivered the news that I had miscarried.
TTC #1 (age 38): Dx: uterine fibroids, blocked Fallopian tube. Tx: Myomectomy, salpingectomy (tube could not be saved and was removed). Resulted in live birth, conceived naturally in 3 cycles. TTC #2 (age 41): DX: unexplained infertility (age). Tx: IUI with 5mg Femara CD 3-7. IUIs 1 and 4 resulted in pregnancy, but not live birth. Likely due to poor egg quality. Repeated for IUI 5-8 because successful getting pregnant, but waiting for a better quality egg. For IUI 9 and 10, added Follistim (IUI 9: CD 7-10, 50IU; IUI 10: CD 7-11, 100IU). BFN. Given option to select surgery to recheck remaining Fallopian tube or IVF. Started IVF. Currently on CD 9: 5mg Femara CD 3-7, Gonal-F 300IU CD5-10, Cetritide CD10, rest of days/dosage TBD.
Most of the nurses that I have dealt with have been wonderful. They are familiar with the treatment regimens and able to answer questions. When I did call to report a Day 1 and ask if we should continue with the same approach, the nurse I spoke to told me it was up to me. When I counted that I would like a recommendation from the experts, she continued to tell me that it was up to me. I had to push to have Dr Awadalla contacted to give input. When he called me, he actually had a different recommendation, so I felt validated in pushing. That has been the only interaction that I was not satisfied with, however.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is organized, clean and runs well. The low-tech billing seems to happen very rapidly. The IVF billing seems to be delayed, which means a longer delay before I can check the claims status online with my insurance company.
With insurance (assuming deductible was paid and yearly maximum for benefits not met), an IUI cycle was roughly $75 out of pocket, not including medications.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I believe there was one time that the clinic had not called in a prescription refill before I had contacted the pharmacy to order. However, I am not 100% sure that I recall this correctly!

3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Burwinkle is friendly and knowledgeable, but he also seems to be in a hurry, so when I ask questions I feel he is rushed....Dr. Burwinkel did my first DE transfer and explained what he was doing as he did it, but then I had some questions (as I was laying on the table) and he seemed in a hurry to get out of there. Just not as warm bedside manner as I experienced in the past at my previous clinic.... My first DE cycle (negative, currently on FET cycle). E2 3x a day and Prometrium 3x a day plus a low dose aspirin 1x a day.
Strengths: the lab [Institute for Reproductive Health] accepts frozen donor eggs, the nurses are very friendly and compassionate, it's conveniently located. Cons: I don't like the Dr.'s as much as the doctors at my previous clinic and their phone menu is long and confusing when you call in.... The only "failure" I had on the nurses part was that I was waiting for the results of my beta, and I had to call at the end of the day to get the results. The nurse who called back said that she was sorry that she had not called earlier with the results. Also, the bedside manner of Dr. Burwinkel is not as good as the Dr's at my old clinic.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Burwinkel is friendly, but not as attentive as I would like. Dr. Burwinkel did my first DE transfer and explained what he was doing as he did it, but then I had some questions (as I was laying on the table) and he seemed in a hurry to get out of there. Just not as warm bedside manner as I experienced in the past at my previous clinic.
Make sure you ask lots of questions, because you may not see him every visit. Make sure you have a clear understanding of where you are in your cycle and what comes next.
My first DE cycle (negative, currently on FET cycle). E2 3x a day and Prometrium 3x a day plus a low dose aspirin 1x a day. Dr. Burwinkel never explained to me the rationale. It was the nurses who gave me my treatment plan.
The nurses here are great, just as friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strengths: the lab accepts frozen donor eggs, the nurses are very friendly and compassionate, it's conveniently located. Cons: I don't like the Dr.'s as much as the doctors at my previous clinic and their phone menu is long and confusing when you call in.
My insurance covers some of the cost, and all of my claims are still currently pending, so I am not sure what I will need to pay out of pocket. One donor egg cycle is 16K, but I will be billed a reduced amount.
We only had two blasts from our first cohort of eggs, so we implanted one and froze the other. I recall telling the nurse that I only wanted one implanted, and she said that she will note that on my chart. So, I'm not sure how they feel about implanting two.

3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Treatment plans never changed [with Dr. Michael Scheiber], nor were any further tests recommended after several failed transfers. The only solution seemed to be to throw another complete round of donor egg ivf at us....For frozen embryo transfers 1-3, estrace was started at day 1, 3X per day. Progesterone was started 5 days before transfer. 1 early loss and 2 negatives. FET 4 was a “natural cycle” with with follicle monitoring. Once follicle was big enough, we did the trigger shot to release the egg. FET was then a week later. Progesterone was started 5 days before the transfer. Transfer resulted in a negative beta.
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] is very clean and professional. The front desk person was always friendly and helpful! The donor coordinator was so helpful during the whole process, making me feel very comfortable. The main drawback was feeling like a number in the clinic without getting any further testing that was requested.... The nurses were very knowledgeable and answered questions very thoroughly.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Appointments always felt very rushed. If I had questions during the appointment, he didn’t answer, but referred me to the nursing staff. When asking for further testing after an early loss, I felt treated as a child asking for a second piece of cake. Treatment plans never changed, nor were any further tests recommended after several failed transfers. The only solution seemed to be to throw another complete round of donor egg ivf at us.
Be very knowledgeable about treatment options and advocate for yourself! Be very blunt in asking for answers to any questions you may have!
explanations of treatments were never given. Monitoring visits were always very rushed, and when I asked questions during he would refer me to the nursing staff as if he couldn’t be bothered to answer.
The nurses were very knowledgeable and answered questions very thoroughly.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very clean and professional. The front desk person was always friendly and helpful! The donor coordinator was so helpful during the whole process, making me feel very comfortable. The main drawback was feeling like a number in the clinic without getting any further testing that was requested.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Medications were not ordered in a timely manner
Cincinnati

He [Dr. Burwinkel] did well in explaining the course of treatment, but when the course of treatment didn't work, we felt as if the course of treatment was never changed. MFI wasn't deeply explored or even suggested we should see a reproductive urologist, we took that initiative on our own. After the chemical pregnancy, we went back to our obgyn and she found that I had FVL and MTHFR as reasons why we could be miscarrying.
The misinformation [from Institute for Reproductive Health] occured when our second ivf cycle failed and the next steps that were suggested were to PGS with the next retrieval cycle. However, after our failed FET a year later the next steps weren't to use PGS testing, but instead we needed donor eggs to proceed with IVF. Nonetheless, a natural pregnancy occurred less then three months after the FET chemical pregnancy.
Dr. Burwinkel's strengths are he is very kind, his bedside manner is great. His cons are not taking time to explain why decisions would change so quickly. He did well in explaining the course of treatment, but when the course of treatment didn't work, we felt as if the course of treatment was never changed. MFI wasn't deeply explored or even suggested we should see a reproductive urologist, we took that initiative on our own. After the chemical pregnancy, we went back to our obgyn and she found that I had FVL and MTHFR as reasons why we could be miscarrying.
Ask lots of questions. Be educated on what options are available to you with all scenarios.
We felt like a number because information after our first failed IVF retrieval and transfer, completely changed from our chemical pregnancy FET a year later. After the chemical pregnancy only, it was mentioned that we needed to consider donor eggs, yet went on two months later to conceive naturally.
IUIs- Femara with Ovidrel trigger shot Retrieval #1- BCPs, Gonal F, cetrotide, ovidrel trigger Retrieval #1- Gonal F, Cetrotide, Menopur, Ovidrel trigger FET- Estradiol orally, prometrium vaginally
The nursing staff was great. They were a big part of the reason we stayed there for 2.5 years.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Overall, I think the clinic is great. However, it would be nice to have a specific nurse in the clinic assigned to your case. Given the size of their practice this would be hard. Regardless, the nurses I saw from education days, IUIs, retrievals, and transfers were wonderful.
Our first two cycles we were blessed with insurance coverage, however our copay on each cycle was 1,000. Medications for the two cycles ran us 7,000. FET cost us 4,500, medications were covered under insurance.
IVF #1- single embryo transfer at age 29 IVF #2- double embryo transfer at age 30 FET- single embryo transfer, only had one embryo left
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The misinformation occured when our second ivf cycle failed and the next steps that were suggested were to PGS with the next retrieval cycle. However, after our failed FET a year later the next steps weren't to use PGS testing, but instead we needed donor eggs to proceed with IVF. Nonetheless, a natural pregnancy occurred less then three months after the FET chemical pregnancy.
Cincinnati

I believe Dr Awadalla is a very intelligent and caring Dr, who’s very experienced. That being said, I think he thought my case was an open and shut case- he didn’t find the need to have my husband tested. We went through 2 rounds of timed intercourse, until I asked about getting my husband tested— which resulted in low count, so we were only eligible for IUI, I felt like we wasted time and expenses. Most appointment are short and he rushes in and out, I always have to ask the nurses what’s going on after. Our next round is IVF, and he has yet to explain the procedure and process.
Phone system [at IRH] is stressful for the patient, it’s really hard to get a hold of an actual person. No one ever goes over finances for procedures other than IVF. They send everything to insurance, so bills come in randomly. Everyone is super nice! Always with a smile on their faces!... In office the nurses were very helpful, they explained everything with great care and always with a smile. To get ahold of them out of office is very difficult, always playing phone tag. A couple times, I was so stressed because I wasn’t able to get ahold of them, and needed a refill of meds I needed to start that day.
Ask lots of questions. Research procedures, medications, ahead of time so you can get the information he might not tell you.
Most times he was rushed, went through injection times very quickly. The first cycle with IUI, his nurse asked is the NP in could complete the procedure because he was busy.
Diagnosed with PCOS: Peometrium to jump start my cycle. Day 3-7 femora to stimulate maturation Day 10 ultrasound (On all five of my cycles, I had to redose femora due to follicles not responding). Ovidrel shot to induce ovulation Timed intercourse/IUI once follicles we’re 12-20mm.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Phone system is stressful for the patient, it’s really hard to get a hold of an actual person. No one ever goes over finances for procedures other than IVF. They send everything to insurance, so bills come in randomly. Everyone is super nice! Always with a smile on their faces!
Currently, we’re are around $10k.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Prescriptions were really hard to relay to my pharmacy. I had to be redosed every cycle- sometimes they forgot to call in, or my new cycle started on a weekend and I could get a hold of them.
Cincinnati

Dr. Scheiber remembered specific details about our case. He personally called back when I would call to leave a message...He took the time to explain everything in ways we could understand. He listened patiently while we spoke. I felt comfortable talking with him and he made sure we covered every question on my list before ending our visit. He didn’t rush through any ultrasound, consult, phone conversation. The ONLY thing that frustrated me was that I didn’t see Dr. Scheiber throughout my entire IVF cycle. His partnering doctors would sometimes do my ultrasounds, egg retrieval, etc.
The nurses [at IRH[ were absolutely wonderful. I fell in love with many of them. They were the last people you saw before leaving the clinic and there were many times I had to stop at the checkout desk and just cry. They were compassionate, helpful, empathetic and truly became my friends along the way...My total cost for our IVF cycle was $9300. That included ICSI...The clinic is big, beautiful, and my favorite part was that it was filled with positive affirmations. There were quotes on the walls, bible verses strategically placed. The decor was subtle and calming. No weaknesses about the clinic. I was a patient and 3 fertility clinics and this one was by far the nicest.
Dr. Scheiber was extremely informative and detailed. He took the time to explain everything in ways we could understand. He listened patiently while we spoke. I felt comfortable talking with him and he made sure we covered every question on my list before ending our visit. He didn’t rush through any ultrasound, consult, phone conversation. The ONLY thing that frustrated me was that I didn’t see Dr. Scheiber throughout my entire IVF cycle. His partnering doctors would sometimes do my ultrasounds, egg retrieval, etc.
Show up with a list of all of your questions. He will answer them all.
For my IVF cycle, I was on 5 weeks of birth control (the long length of time was due to an ovarian cyst we were waiting to dissolve). My stimulation protocol required 300mg Follistim, 75mg Menopur, and 1 syringe of Ganirelix beginning on day 5. The results didn’t yield exactly what we had hoped. I was on stims for 11 days, and they retrieved 3 eggs. After my egg retrieval I began 300mg of Endometrin daily.
The nurses were absolutely wonderful. I fell in love with many of them. They were the last people you saw before leaving the clinic and there were many times I had to stop at the checkout desk and just cry. They were compassionate, helpful, empathetic and truly became my friends along the way. I couldn’t have made it through this without the nurses. They were wonderful.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
My total cost for our IVF cycle was $9300. That included ICSI. Our medication was ordered through MDR pharmacy and the total for that was $2800. Our consultation with Dr. Scheiber was $166.
Dr. Scheiber put both of my 2 embryos back in on day 2. They were healthy but given the fact that I only had 2, Dr. Scheiber said they were better off in me than in a lab. This gave us a higher chance of blastocysts.

2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
[Dr. Awadalla] needs to slow down and explain in more detail such as the egg quality and everything seen on the ultrasound and this is also were he needs to slow down! Very knowledge of this area of medicine and was so great with my Miscarriage and performing my d &c . I wish he performed more of my procedures since he is my main doctor but I do understand that we have to see all doctors and the busy schedule. Dr A is very well known for his expertise and I very much trust him and his opinion
The staff [Inst for Repro Health] are so great and know you by name . Always there to answer questions however I would say it would be nice to get to talk to someone when you call inst ad of leaving a message but they do return your call the same day and always there to answer questions! I absolutely love the staff at Irh would remmond to anyone and have sent two friends to them... I can’t say enough great things about the nursing staff they truly do care and take pride in what they do and actually get to know you and your story !
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
He needs to slow down and explain in more detail such as the egg quality and everything seen on the ultrasound and this is also were he needs to slow down! Very knowledge of this area of medicine and was so great with my Miscarriage and performing my d &c . I wish he performed more of my procedures since he is my main doctor but I do understand that we have to see all doctors and the busy schedule. Dr A is very well known for his expertise and I very much trust him and his opinion
Trust the process and be patient and make sure you ask questions and make sure to to tell him to slow down and explain everything! Write everything down and leave knowing what the best steps are
I feel that the nurses and staff were so compassionate and amazing. Dr A was very positive throughout the miscarriages and also kept us feeling like we could /can make this a positive pregnancy! He does need to slow down at times and explain more detail information
I have done 2 ivf cycles and I will admit the shots were hard but they make me stronger as a person ! My first cycle I got pregnant the first time and then lost my baby at around 8 weeks ( was at my graduation appointment and the baby had no heartbeat) then had to have a d&c which dr a did. Then two frozen cycles one negative and one positive pregnancy which resulted in another miscarriage at 5 weeks . Currently one second ivf cycle drag transfer was a negative and currently doing a frozen cycle keeping fingers crossed for positive and a healthy baby and pregnancy. We also did isci for all and this time will be doing assisting hatching husband has low sperm count. They did up my meds second cycle and my body responded very well and had a great egg retrieval
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Ivf nurse staff)
Amazing I can’t say enough great things about the nursing staff they truly do care and take pride in what they do and actually get to know you and your story ! Always have me hope and made me feel so great and got me through some really hard times that I will never forget
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The staff are so great and know you by name . Always there to answer questions however I would say it would be nice to get to talk to someone when you call inst ad of leaving a message but they do return your call the same day and always there to answer questions! I absolutely love the staff at Irh would remmond to anyone and have sent two friends to them
Very nice expensive but do get self payment discount due to insurance coverage. Have to pay before any cycle no payment plan by schedule
First ivf and fresh suggested only one which we did and after that we have done two and he has been supportive and acknowledges our wishes
Cincinnati

His [Dr. Michael Scheiber] knowledge would be his strength. He has been doing this for awhile. He was not very warm and inviting for being in this line of practice. There was not much talking or communication during visits. He appeared to be very busy so would get in do what needed to be done and leave. After being unsuccessful with IUI and having to meet with him about the next steps I felt like he did not provide enough information on all of our options and was purposely leading us towards IVF.
The clinic’s [Institute for Reproductive Health- CIncinnati] staff was very good. It takes a day or so for them to reach out to you for the first appointment and if you want a certain doctor you could wait awhile to be seen. Otherwise, very responsive, friendly, and knowledgeable... Office visit 125.00 Ultrasound 225.00 Blood draw 10.00 Follicle puncture/Oocyte retrieval 1,500.00 Oocyte identification 2,300.00 Oocyte Insemination 2,000.00 Embryo culture 3,200.00 Embryo transfer lab fees 2,400.00
His knowledge would be his strength. He has been doing this for awhile. He was not very warm and inviting for being in this line of practice. There was not much talking or communication during visits. He appeared to be very busy so would get in do what needed to be done and leave. After being unsuccessful with IUI and having to meet with him about the next steps I felt like he did not provide enough information on all of our options and was purposely leading us towards IVF.
Ask lots of questions and research yourself on treatment options
They we were talked to
We started with oral medication. 4x no results Then IUI 4x No results Then IVF 1st cycle with Birth control, Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Ovidrel and Endometrin 2 embryos transferred Chemical pregnancy 2nd IVF cycle but with ICSI same medications 1 embryo transferred had a child in February 2017
The nursing staff was very friendly. The nurses always asked how you were doing and made you feel comfortable. They answered all questions that I asked of them.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic’s staff was very good. It takes a day or so for them to reach out to you for the first appointment and if you want a certain doctor you could wait awhile to be seen. Otherwise, very responsive, friendly, and knowledgeable
They had a preference of doing only 2 at the most per transfer. The second time only one was transferred at our preference.

Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I owe my chance at becoming a mother to Dr. Burwinkel. From our first visit he treated myself and my husband with respect and always gave us the most honest information. He never promised that he would make me a mother, but told me that he would do anything to help me become one. He answered every question that I had, and I had a lot of them. Every treatment was fully explained. I never felt as if I was unaware of what was happening to my body. He was compassionate with each loss that we experienced and gave us the facts each time there was a setback. When we were finally able to have a full term pregnancy and I gave birth to my little boy in April 2018.
I love the IRH nursing staff. They showed as much compassion as the doctors do. Many times I saw the nurses more often, due to blood draws. They are just as informed as the doctors and always answered any questions that I had.... Every time I walked into IRH, I felt as if people knew who I was. There was a receptionist who greeted us upon entry. We never had a long wait time in the waiting room, they valued our time as employed adults.
Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Do your own research and never be afraid to ask questions.
Every time I walked into IRH, I felt as if people knew who I was. There was a receptionist who greeted us upon entry. We never had a long wait time in the waiting room, they valued our time as employed adults. Dr. Burwinkel and staff always greeted us by name and remember what it was that we were here for. He celebrated with us in successful treatment and mourned with us with each loss of pregnancy.
I took Letrozole (similar to Clomid), we did the injection to release my eggs and then did IUI. I had four rounds of IUI. Two resulted in miscarriages and one was a viable pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
IRH has no weaknesses. I would, and have, recommended IRH to anyone who is going through fertility problems. I never had an issue with scheduling or appointments. The wait time in the waiting room and the treatment room was minimal. My husband and I were very lucky to be able to cover the cost of our fertility treatments; however, I know that they are great with working with families on payment plans if they cannot cover the cost at once.
Fertility treatment is not cheap. Each round of IUI cost about $900 including pills, shots, doctor appointments, and procedures. In addition to the IUIs, I had to have laparoscopic surgery for the chemical pregnancy and a D&C for the miscarriages. Each of these procedures was an additional cost.