Genetic counseling: Offered
is not offered
Selling medication: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
Avon
33100 Cleveland Clinic Blvd.
Avon, OH 44011
Twinsburg
8701 Darrow Road
Twinsburg, OH 44087
330-888-4000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center to a friend?

7.2

Unexplained, Other
You may not see Dr Flyckt at every appointment; but just reach out to her because she is always available...Clomid (days 3-7 I think?) with IUI. 3 ultrasounds each time to measure follicles. All 3 times I went into pre-ovulation before the trigger so the IUIs were cancelled. Now we are onto Gonal F injections with IUIs...When we meet with her she always shows compassion towards us. She takes the time to answer all our questions and hear our concerns. She has also worked with us when we have ideas (like taking some time off to feel healthy again) as well as presents us with all our options. Never pressuring us into doing anything and supporting all our decisions.
we pay Out of pocket [at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] for the IUIs and sperm procedure which costs us $700 each time...Strength for the clinic is the availability once you are an established patient. I never have a problem scheduling an appt. The only weakness I feel some patients may have is that you don’t see the doctor at every appt...They[nurses] are the ones who are with you during all your ultrasounds and just before your IUI. They are professional and supportive. They also call you with the plan promptly after the doctors meet at 11am. They take the time to answer any questions and check all your meds before getting off the phone with you.
Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Rebecca Flyckt at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
I feel she is very knowledgeable; answering all our questions and trust me I usually have a to . She is also cautious with all my treatment unless I request a change. Even though she doesn’t do all my inseminations I know she is watching. This was shown after our 6th failed IUI, where Clomid put my body into preovulation; she personally called me to discuss the results, showing compassion and even some frustration for us. She makes us feel she is fighting for us to have a baby as much as we are. When we decided to start hormone injections, you could see and feel her excitement for us. That reaction just made us feel more hope and excitement as well. She has made herself available to me as much as possible through the office, email, mychart and phone......And she responds within a day. Overall, Dr Flyckt has been very professional and great to work with during this very challenging journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rebecca Flyckt at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
You may not see Dr Flyckt at every appointment; but just reach out to her because she is always available. The clinic has a lot of patients so they have a system; a system that works with so many patients and doctors. But that system can be change if you just reach out and continue that communication as much as you need too
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rebecca Flyckt at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Rebecca Flyckt used in your cycles at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center and their degree of success.
1st 3 mths- medicated cycles with letrozole (days 3-7) using ovulation kits. 2 negative and 1 chemical pregnancy Next 3 mths- letrozole (days 3-7) and IUI. 2 ultrasounds to measure my follicles before the IUI. Once 1 measured at 17mm; triggered with Ovidrel. IUI 2 days later. Took 1 progesterone pill 2 days after IUI. 2 negative; 1 chemical pregnancy. (1st sperm sample was 1.3mil so she put my husband on vitamins. Next two samples went up but I don’t remember how by much...one hit 13mil). Next 3 - Clomid (days 3-7 I think?) with IUI. 3 ultrasounds each time to measure follicles. All 3 times I went into pre-ovulation before the trigger so the IUIs were cancelled. Now we are onto Gonal F injections with IUIs. This is our first month and I am in my TWW right now. Nice responses from injections. 3 follicles measuring 16, 15 and 14. Triggered with Ovidrel then 2 days later had IUI. Sperm sample was 8.5 mil. Have been taking 2 progesterone pills (one morning one night) starting 2 days after IUI.
They are the ones who are with you during all your ultrasounds and just before your IUI. They are professional and supportive. They also call you with the plan promptly after the doctors meet at 11am. They take the time to answer any questions and check all your meds before getting off the phone with you.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rebecca Flyckt at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Our insurance pays for ultrasounds and bloodwork so that is around $300-$500 each IuI. Then we pay Out of pocket for the IUIs and sperm procedure which costs us $700 each time. The meds are partially covered so we’ve paid about $900 total thus far.
Avon

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Rebecca Flyckt at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.

2017 - 2019
During my more than 24 months in [Dr. Tantibhedhyangkul's] care, she only made herself available three times and never sat down to review our plan along the way. My husband and I were very candid about our desires but we were not heard... initially set a very comprehensive plan but when it came to the details or having the opportunity to check in with her we were always pushed to a nurse practitioner in her office even after miscarriage. It always felt like there was a disconnect in communication which meant a missed opportunity to course correct.
The out-of-pocket pricing plan was very reasonable [at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center]...There is inconsistent detail with regard to a financial plan which can definitely throw off your care plan. I never felt like I was truly collaborating with them on my care as each cycle varied. The nursing staff and supporting administration was outstanding...There was not a day that went by when I interacted with the team that I didn’t have an open line of communication and a response within a few hours. They were thoughtful, fluid and detail-oriented.
2017 - 2019
How was your experience with Julierut Tantibhedhyangkul at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Dr. Tan initially set a very comprehensive plan but when it came to the details or having the opportunity to check in with her we were always pushed to a nurse practitioner in her office even after miscarriage. It always felt like there was a disconnect in communication which meant a missed opportunity to course correct.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Julierut Tantibhedhyangkul at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
There’s a very good chance that no matter what path you take she will recommend IVF in every instance even if you have gotten pregnant with IUI before or you were new to infertility. You have to do all of your own homework to understand all of your options
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Julierut Tantibhedhyangkul at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
During my more than 24 months in Dr. Tan’s care, she only made herself available three times and never sat down to review our plan along the way. My husband and I were very candid about our desires but we were not heard.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary Howard)
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Julierut Tantibhedhyangkul at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
The out-of-pocket pricing plan was very reasonable
What specific things went wrong at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
As we all know timing is everything with our cycles, because we have MFI, it was not thought of when we had a medicated cycle that certain medications should be recommended or even ultrasounds.
Avon

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Julierut Tantibhedhyangkul at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.

I just didn’t feel like she [Dr. Marjan Attaran] explained things thoroughly for me and she ordered labs and didn’t ever respond regarding what they meant to my IVF cycle. She did send me to a specialist regarding my medical history which was important for me to avoid complications...Used an antagonist protocol. I have PCOS but am unable to use estrogen due to having a history of blood clots. I took provera to induce a period. I started gonal F 200 units on day 3 of the cycle and started lovenox at the same time. Lupron Trigger planned Day 14 due to high risk for OHSS with PCOS and elevated AMH
[Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] is a big hospital and big practice. There were times where I felt like I had to repeat myself over and over to get what I needed throughout my cycle...Leading up to egg retrieval the office didn’t order labs they needed and That partly prevented me from being able to do a fresh transfer...It is recommmended that I not take estrogen and the IVF nurse was talking about starting my cycle with birth control pills. Speaks to poor chart review and communication from the physicians to the nurses. Dot the Is and cross the Ts then double check
How was your experience with Marjan Attaran at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
She was very nice and it my impression may be partly due to the fact that I am also a physician but I just didn’t feel like she explained things thoroughly for me and she ordered labs and didn’t ever respond regarding what they meant to my IVF cycle. She did send me to a specialist regarding my medical history which was important for me to avoid complications. Leading up to egg retrieval the office didn’t order labs they needed and That partly prevented me from being able to do a fresh transfer.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marjan Attaran at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
You have to stay on top of things. I am a physician and I have a good friend who is a REI so I know what questions to ask and what to look out for but for the average person or someone with no medical background they could leave you lost. It is recommmended that I not take estrogen and the IVF nurse was talking about starting my cycle with birth control pills. Speaks to poor chart review and communication from the physicians to the nurses. Dot the Is and cross the Ts then double check
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marjan Attaran at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
It is a big hospital and big practice. There were times where I felt like I had to repeat myself over and over to get what I needed throughout my cycle
Describe the protocols Marjan Attaran used in your cycles at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Avon office nurses )
I was having monitoring in the city where I lived and was traveling for IVF. The clinic gave me outdated information regarding ability to get monitoring where I lived, literally the contacts on the list had not worked there for 3+ years. I gave them feedback and corrected the information They gave me but I am 99% sure they didn’t not update their information. They were not helpful in figuring out the process and still did not get me the proper orders up until the end. There were two occasions that they forgot to call me and update on the plan of the day after the 12pm conference including on the day they decided about my egg retrieval date. I literally logged into my MyChart account and just saw it there. I called the office and was told there was no one to talk to in the office. i will say that nurse Kerry got the swing of things she got me the orders for ultrasound and blood work when I needed them but she must have gone on vacation the week of my retrieval because the other nurses did not know how to get me orders though it was outlined in my chart
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
We paid the higher price for IVF here at Celeveland Clinic mainly because it’s the lab and embryologists that make the difference. We tolerated the poor communication for what we hope is the chance at a better outcome
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marjan Attaran at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Package $11,700 cost before insurance
Marjan Attaran
Avon

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Marjan Attaran at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.

Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Dr. Tan [Tantibhedhyangkul] is a very kind and knowledgeable doctor. She is compassionate and truly cares about her patients. She always explains each detail of the plan for that month and answers all questions. De. Tan often calls me personally to discuss cycle details or the plan for that cycle.... I have PCOS so I when I started my fertility journey in 2016 I was prescribed Metformin in an attempt to lower my sugar and reduce insulin levels as a measure to assist in ovulation.
This clinic [Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] is LGBTQ friendly and has multiple locations throughout the Cleveland area. The office is easily accessible and there is a lab and pharmacy on site. I do have to drive to a different clinic location when I inseminate, because they only store donor sperm at one location.... All of the nursing staff and the nurse practitioner have been wonderful, compassionate, available and understanding.... Looking into IVF the costs are around $15,000 with medications.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Dr. Tan is a very kind and knowledgeable doctor. She is compassionate and truly cares about her patients. She always explains each detail of the plan for that month and answers all questions. De. Tan often calls me personally to discuss cycle details or the plan for that cycle. When things do not go as planned she always explains what the next step will be and we come uo with a new plan, if needed together. Dr. Tan is always cognizant of her words and is always very soothing when things do not go as planned. Dr. Tan is open and willing to offer suggestions and try different methods if one method has not worked. Dr. Tan is always gentle during painful procedures and talks me through it. I have had a fantastic experience with Dr. Tan and although I am not yet pregnant, I have confidence and trust in her as a doctor.
I would advise that the patient goes in with an open mind and be as open and honest about their situation as possible. Dr. Tan is very LGBTQ friendly.
Dr. Tan and her staff always address me and my wife by name. They have always made us feel comfortable. Dr. Tan always spends ample time explaining procedures while in the office and often times personally calls me to go over our next plan. Dr. Tan even called me on a Saturday after a failed cycle to check on me. All of the staff in the office are very friendly. Dr. Tan is very flexible and open to try multiple strategies. Dr. Tan is always as gentle as possible during painful procedures and thoroughly talks me through what is happening before, during, and after.
Describe the protocols Julierut Tantibhedhyangkul used in your cycles at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I have PCOS so I when I started my fertility journey in 2016 I was prescribed Metformin in an attempt to lower my sugar and reduce insulin levels as a measure to assist in ovulation. I also had an HSG to ensure that my tubes were not blocked. My first cycle I took Letrozole and it gave me very severe headaches and I didn't ovulate that cycle. The next cycle I tired 50 mg of Clomid and did ovulate,l on that cycle but we did not inseminate as it was a trial run. The clomid was increased to 100 mg and I did not ovulate that cycle although I got a positive opk. I did inseminzte that cycle, but dis not fall pregnant because i did not ovulate. At that point it was determined that opks did not work for me and my dose of clomid was increased to 150 mg and we did a follicular ultrasound in CD, I took the Clomid CD 3-7 and had an ultrasound on CD 10. Unfortunately, that cycle I ovulated too soon and could not inseminate. I did 2 more cycles on the same dose with very close monitoring and I had confirmed ovulation but did not become pregnant. I took a break for a few months and then in the Summer of 2017 we decided to do a cycle of Clomid along with the Follistim pen. This cycle did not work and I did not grow eggs. We decided to take a break and then in September I began having very heavy, irregular bleeding and had a biopsy, but all results were negative. My wife and I are planning to begin again and discuss IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
This clinic is LGBTQ friendly and has multiple locations throughout the Cleveland area. The office is easily accessible and there is a lab and pharmacy on site. I do have to drive to a different clinic location when I inseminate, because they only store donor sperm at one location. Appointment scheduling is flexible, communication is good and staff is always available through the portal and by phone. I cannot think of a single weakness about the clinic.
I have paid out of pocket for some services, but my insurance pays for some of the services such as my follicular ultrasounds. I have to pay out of pocket for all medications and IUI. IUI is $300. The cost of medication varies per cycle. Looking into IVF the costs are around $15,000 with medications.
Describe Julierut Tantibhedhyangkul's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
We have not discussed this as of yet.

Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
underwent fibroid removal surgery [with Dr. Tan] and just last cycle we’re we cleared to start trying again. I’m not sure what, if anything is next...while great when I was going through diagnosis and fibroid removal surgery, left me hanging after surgery. There was no discussion about when to contact again after surgery or if there were even other steps I could take...was compassionate and made sure she took the time for you to understand the treatment.
[Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] is GIANT with many locations. As long as you’re willing to drive (we went to Avon, Beachwood, and main campus), then it’s a great place. If you’re looking to have all services in one location, you may want to look elsewhere...The nursing staff was great. Nothing outstanding comes to mind...I had to reach out to schedule after I was told someone would contact me. I also had to call for results because they forgot.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Tan, while great when I was going through diagnosis and fibroid removal surgery, left me hanging after surgery. There was no discussion about when to contact again after surgery or if there were even other steps I could take.
Write down your questions and bring someone to help you remember the answers.
Dr. Tan was compassionate and made sure she took the time for you to understand the treatment.
She had my husband go for semen analysis and was scheduled for an HSG, but they weren’t able to complete it because of my cervix position so I got sent for a transvaginal ultrasound then later an MRI to confirm the fibroids. From there we tried three rounds of clomid, and were unsuccessful. I then underwent fibroid removal surgery and just last cycle we’re we cleared to start trying again. I’m not sure what, if anything is next.
The nursing staff was great. Nothing outstanding comes to mind.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
The Clevelans Clinic is GIANT with many locations. As long as you’re willing to drive (we went to Avon, Beachwood, and main campus), then it’s a great place. If you’re looking to have all services in one location, you may want to look elsewhere.
All I remember is we paid over $1000 out of pocket for the fibroid removal surgery.
Avon

Overall I think that she [Dr. Tantibhedhyangkul] is a good doctor, but when it come to taken vitamins and other supplements I wish she give more insite. I do like that we only move as fast as I want to go, there are sometimes I wish she were a littlest more pushy on when to move forward. The benefit of going through any doc with Cleveland clinic is at anytime you can message them with issues and concerns.... Fertility oral meds until you ovulate, as period changes your dose may change. Then an HSG to see the movement in and out of tubes.
[Cleveland Clinic Fertility Ctr] Very patient friendly, I work in a hospital and from the time I walked in I was impressed. The volunteers seemed to enjoy their environment. The receptionist upstairs loved her job so much she was trying to recruit me. Very clean facility and all the people in the public eye were very nice.... I tried to schedule my hsg and was told by one person there was space Andre another there wasn’t. I then thought it was scheduled, when I showed up I wasn’t on the schedule. The squeezed me in though.
Overall I think that she is a good doctor, but when it come to taken vitamins and other supplements I wish she give more insite. I do like that we only move as fast as I want to go, there are sometimes I wish she were a littlest more pushy on when to move forward. The benefit of going through any doc with Cleveland clinic is at anytime you can message them with issues and concerns.
Overall good, but scheduling has been confused before due to nursing staff.
Avon

She [Dr. Tantibhedhyangkul] was wonderful. She makes a very stressful process manageable and provides her patients with encouragement and compassion. She is thorough in her explanation of circumstances and always positive about our outlook...care of her patients is extraordinary and while we didn't get pregnant under her care, she is an excellent provider and we are utilizing her services for monitoring throughout our IVF journey.
Carrie [nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] was the best. The other nurses were a little terser than we cared for and didn't offer the same level of care she did...The ultrasounds and bloodwork panels and our visits cost a total of $2,500 over a six month period...Great medical practice. We only sought IVF treatment elsewhere because the Cleveland Clinic doesn't offer any in house financing other than a third party provider and requires you to have a lump sum payment before beginning the process.
She was wonderful. She makes a very stressful process manageable and provides her patients with encouragement and compassion. She is thorough in her explanation of circumstances and always positive about our outlook.
Be prepared for anything.
Dr. Tan's care of her patients is extraordinary and while we didn't get pregnant under her care, she is an excellent provider and we are utilizing her services for monitoring throughout our IVF journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Carrie)
Carrie was the best. The other nurses were a little terser than we cared for and didn't offer the same level of care she did.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
It may be too early to fully e[v]aluate but I can tell you that I have worked with her nurses and students more than her. During all the interactions I did have she was vague and lacked compassion...She ordered tests that my previous physician had not, like the AMH SCREENING.
Results for my tests were posted through Mychart but I never received a call from the office. I had to call them and didn't speak to someone for three days. All I wanted was someone to explain the results to me...$300 out of pocket for blood work and Dr. Time...Appointments were fairly easy to get.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
It may be too early to fully ealuate but I can tell you that I have worked with her nurses and students more than her. During all the interactions I did have she was vague and lacked compassion.
Don't be afraid to ask all questions.
Student came in first - without asking me if I was ok will ring with a student. She came in at the very end and answered a few of my questions in a very vague fashion.
She ordered tests that my previous physician had not, like the AMH SCREENING.
Factual
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Appointments were fairly easy to get.
$300 out of pocket for blood work and Dr. Time.
Avon
Dr. Austin is a very experienced and educated doctor...can be a bit dismissive at times, especially if she doesn't like your question or doesn't think it's important. You have to keep pushing through. It's best to be very informed (beyond your conversations with her) to make sure you can get what you need from her...offered three potential IVF protocols based on my diagnosis and her experience with prior patients. She explained the pros and cons of each (including financial implications), provided her recommendation, and then let us decide. We chose the least expensive option as our first protocol (clomid and gonadotropins), which was a failed cycle with all embryos arresting before reaching blastocyst. After re-grouping with Dr. Austin, we went with the original protocol that she recommended, which was the most aggressive and expensive. That yielded two blastocysts, which we froze for embryo banking.
When I had issues with getting time with Dr. Austin after a failed cycle, Shoshanna [nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] was in my corner and made sure we got an appointment...got some conflicting information from the embryologist and the doctor about the quality of my eggs. All in all, for what we're spending and for our future family being on the line, the clinic just wasn't for us...Linda, in IVF billing is great...has the strong reputation of the larger Cleveland Clinic organization and it's generally pretty well-run.
European, East Asian
How was your experience with Cynthia Austin at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Dr. Austin is a very experienced and educated doctor. She can be a little bit blunt, but I felt like she wanted to make sure we were informed and understood our options. For our IVF consult with her, she spent over an hour explaining everything to us in great detail with handwritten explanations and diagrams. For our post-IVF consult (after a failed cycle), she spent a similar amount of time explaining our options and her hypothesis on why things didn't go well the first time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cynthia Austin at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Dr. Austin can be a bit dismissive at times, especially if she doesn't like your question or doesn't think it's important. You have to keep pushing through. It's best to be very informed (beyond your conversations with her) to make sure you can get what you need from her.
Describe the protocols Cynthia Austin used in your cycles at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Austin offered three potential IVF protocols based on my diagnosis and her experience with prior patients. She explained the pros and cons of each (including financial implications), provided her recommendation, and then let us decide. We chose the least expensive option as our first protocol (clomid and gonadotropins), which was a failed cycle with all embryos arresting before reaching blastocyst. After re-grouping with Dr. Austin, we went with the original protocol that she recommended, which was the most aggressive and expensive. That yielded two blastocysts, which we froze for embryo banking.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Shoshanna)
Shoshanna, like everyone at the clinic is very busy and has to keep track of a lot of patients. She isn't the warm and fuzzy type, but she will answer your questions and return phone calls as soon as she can. I found that you needed to spend some time with her for her to warm up to you, so every time I came in for a monitoring appointment, I always requested a nurse visit after it so that I could spend time talking to her and getting more information about my care. I found those quick conversations to be very helpful in understanding how my cycle was progressing. When I had issues with getting time with Dr. Austin after a failed cycle, Shoshanna was in my corner and made sure we got an appointment.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
The clinic has the strong reputation of the larger Cleveland Clinic organization and it's generally pretty well-run. One of the challenges is that they funnel every patient phone call through one phone number so you can be on hold for upwards of 20 minutes (depending on when you call), which can be incredibly frustrating. I really like that they use MyChart for test results and messaging, which was really helpful in keeping all of my info in one place. They also only have one phlebotomist (she's awesome, by the way!), so when she goes on vacation or takes a day off, it's complete mayhem. You have to go to the lab that doesn't open until 7:30am or they have nurses (who haven't drawn blood in a long time) do the blood draw, which wasn't great ...
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cynthia Austin at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Insurance covered a lot of it (Linda, in IVF billing is great, by the way!) and then the rest was out of pocket.
What specific things went wrong at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Overall, I didn't have a terrible experience at the clinic, but I think that they are better suited for "easier" fertility cases. Between my DOR and my husband's severe male factor infertility, I don't know that the clinic was equipped to handle us. We felt like they had a few cookie cutter protocols that they used for people with DOR and weren't open to other protocols or variations. We also got some conflicting information from the embryologist and the doctor about the quality of my eggs. All in all, for what we're spending and for our future family being on the line, the clinic just wasn't for us.

2018 - 2020
Dr. Goldberg is aggressive with treatment but respectful to you and your wants/needs. He does not sugar coat which I think is important when you want results. He isn’t going to tell you something is going to work when it won’t and will prescribe the best course for your diagnosis. ... He was candid about not wasting any more time on iui and being more aggressive with treatment. Unfortunately we had to wait for me to be added toy husbands benefits
The clinic [Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] is very clean and efficient from the office staff to the nurses and doctors. We haven’t had a ton of wait time and response to calls is quick. ... The clinic requests I thin roughly 11k as a deposit. We had insurance benefits so those were accepted easily and the finance person took care of it all. ... Halle [nurse] is amazing. This is such an emotional process and she is the one that has been proving the type of support that the doctor doesn’t.
2018 - 2020
How was your experience with Jeffrey Goldberg at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Goldberg at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
He isn’t lovey dovey about things so if you want someone that is overly empathetic you may want to look elsewhere.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Goldberg at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Goldberg used in your cycles at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I am diagnosed with unexplained fertility and have had recurrent losses. We initially did 6 months of drugs including Letrozole and clomid. Then moved on to four unsuccessful Iui with drugs. When we failed our last round, we moved to ivf but needed to wait 7 more months to access health benefits. In that time I got pregnant naturally and miscarried which ended up delaying our cycle. We are now stuck in quarantine and will start when the clinic reopens.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Halle)
Halle is amazing. This is such an emotional process and she is the one that has been proving the type of support that the doctor doesn’t.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
The clinic is very clean and efficient from the office staff to the nurses and doctors. We haven’t had a ton of wait time and response to calls is quick. I don’t have any weaknesses to report because my experience has been excellent with the Beachwood location.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Goldberg at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Ivf cycle with meds costs about 20k depending on protocol. The clinic requests I thin roughly 11k as a deposit. We had insurance benefits so those were accepted easily and the finance person took care of it all.
Jeffrey Goldberg
Beachwood

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jeffrey Goldberg at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.

Dr. Flyckt always remembered details about us during visits and tried to personalize treatment for us...was very very optimistic about our chances for success. More optimistic than was actually realistic or achievable. She is a very thorough doctor and she cares deeply about her patients...had us doing letrozole with timed intercourse and was certain we could see positive results within 3-6 cycles...be sure to do your own research on actual success rates for different treatments and procedures.
The Cleveland Clinic has great resources but scheduling can be difficult as certain procedures are only done at certain times of the day, necessitating time off of work unless you get lucky and the cycle day when the work needs to be done corresponds with a day off of work. Their care team in the fertility center goes above and beyond regularly for patients and is more sympathetic and caring than the general population of employees at the Cleveland Clinic.
Dr. Flyckt was very very optimistic about our chances for success. More optimistic than was actually realistic or achievable. She is a very thorough doctor and she cares deeply about her patients. She has since left the Cleveland Clinic for the director position at the fertility center at University Hospitals Cleveland.
She can be overly optimistic so be sure to do your own research on actual success rates for different treatments and procedures.
Dr. Flyckt had us doing letrozole with timed intercourse and was certain we could see positive results within 3-6 cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Mary was very difficult to get ahold of, and when I did speak to her she downplayed my concerns and at times even gave me conflicting information. I only got better information from her when my husband called. Unprofessional. She has followed Dr. Flyckt to University Hospitals.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Diagnostic costs and costs of clomid and letrozole along with progesterone supplements were covered by insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Mary (Dr. Flyckt's nurse) was difficult to communicate with and at times seemed combative with me in my quest to fully understand everything happening with my cycles. I only got good answers from her when my husband called.
Beachwood

Dr. Austin stated in our consult that she always transfers only one to start but understands the desire to transfer more than one after a few failed transfers...She saw us for an IVF consultation, and was very candid that she did not see a real reason to continue with letrozole and TI at that point due to our lack of success. She sat down with us and went over all of the ins and outs of IVF treatment, hand drawing diagrams to illustrate retrieval, follicular growth on the ovaries, and all the stages of embryo development. She also spoke to us about exactly what steps were next in order to proceed and counseled us on any genetic testing and how it is done. She spoke with great respect about our previous RE but also stated she does feel that the previous Dr. can tend to be a little over-optimistic with patients about outcomes. I greatly appreciated the time she took with us (over an hour) and her candidness about our potential results. She is the head of the clinic and absolutely wonderful to work with so far for IVF. Her IVF nurses are also so thorough and compassionate.
It can be difficult to get appointments with the Cleveland clinic as a whole and the fertility center is no different. They do seem to have the most compassionate and understanding front desk staff of all different offices. It can be difficult to schedule around work commitments because some procedures are done only at certain times of day but overall I appreciate the care they give to the IVF retrieval patients in particular...Our IVF nurse was very thorough, organized and helpful during our IVF teach appointment. She made sure to emphasize that we can always contact her no matter what and she wants to walk us through every step of the process as much as we need.
Dr. Austin spent over an hour with us at our initial consultation and went over all of the ins and outs of IVF treatment, along with our chances of success. She has also been very collaborative with my PCP in regards to all other health concerns and how they relate to my upcoming IVF treatment.
She will not sugarcoat the truth so be prepared for any answer she could give you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cynthia Austin at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
We saw Dr. Austin when our previous doctor left the practice. She saw us for an IVF consultation, and was very candid that she did not see a real reason to continue with letrozole and TI at that point due to our lack of success. She sat down with us and went over all of the ins and outs of IVF treatment, hand drawing diagrams to illustrate retrieval, follicular growth on the ovaries, and all the stages of embryo development. She also spoke to us about exactly what steps were next in order to proceed and counseled us on any genetic testing and how it is done. She spoke with great respect about our previous RE but also stated she does feel that the previous Dr. can tend to be a little over-optimistic with patients about outcomes. I greatly appreciated the time she took with us (over an hour) and her candidness about our potential results. She is the head of the clinic and absolutely wonderful to work with so far for IVF. Her IVF nurses are also so thorough and compassionate.
Antagonist protocol with Follistim, ganirelex and HCG trigger. I have not started yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
We get the Cleveland clinic employee discount so out of pocket costs for actual IVF monitoring, retrieval, 1 transfer and first year of storage is $5800.
Describe Cynthia Austin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
What specific things went wrong at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
A different nurse was less than helpful during my TI and letrozole cycles, I was only able to get clear information from her when my husband called.
Beachwood

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Cynthia Austin at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.

Our initial meeting with Dr. Flyckt was great. She has a very kind and caring demeanor and she really listens. She was also happy to answer any of our questions and explained her initial hypotheses for our infertility and why she was recommending specific next steps. Now that we've completed all our necessary testing, it's taken a little while to get to our treatment plan. I don't necessarily think this is Dr. Flyckt's fault (it seems like CCF has some communication issues internally), but it's definitely frustrating to not be able to contact Dr. Flyckt directly or get a timely response.
My interaction with the nursing staff [at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] has been a mixed bag. For my consult intake, I thought the nurse was fine; she wasn't particularly friendly or pleasant, but she also wasn't unpleasant. Since then, I spoke to another nurse regarding questions about my HSG and medication and she was very helpful...The lab work and office visit were close to $1k... is a well-regarded medical facility and it's fairly well run compared to some other medical offices I've been to (granted, those other offices weren't fertility clinics). That said, trying to communicate anything in a timely fashion comes down to a giant game of phone tag.
European, East Asian
She is a very busy woman and is in high demand. Currently, Dr. Flyckt has a long wait list to see her. For our consult, we had to wait 4 months for the earliest appointment. After our initial consult, I tried to schedule a follow-up appointment to discuss our treatment plan and was told that the wait to see her is FIVE months for current patients! That's crazy! Since I can't wait that long to meet with her in person, my only opportunity to communicate with her is via one of the nurses or through MyChart (though I don't recommend that because she is the first to admit that she doesn't have the best response time through MyChart). All in all, if you don't have the luxury of waiting, I would advise that you consider one of the other REs in the CCF practice who has a shorter wait time. I was eventually diagnosed with DOR and waiting for 4 months just to find that out was a lot of time wasted.
During our consultation with Dr. Flyckt, I felt like she was really listening and trying to understand. She never once seemed rushed and she took the time to explain things clearly -- even drawing several diagrams to help us understand better.
Before my DOR diagnosis and while waiting on my husband's updated semen analysis, I took Clomid and progesterone suppositories for time intercourse. Her guidance was to do this for 3 cycles. That plan made sense up until my husband's semen analysis indicated that he has severe male factor infertility and I have DOR. I'm still waiting on an updated protocol, but I would hope that IVF is our recommended treatment plan give those two issues.
My interaction with the nursing staff has been a mixed bag. For my consult intake, I thought the nurse was fine; she wasn't particularly friendly or pleasant, but she also wasn't unpleasant. Since then, I spoke to another nurse regarding questions about my HSG and medication and she was very helpful. After I had completed my "checklist" of tests from Dr. Flyckt, I was advised to call the office immediately for a treatment plan. When I called, the nurse who called me back left a voicemail that, although she used my name, clearly was in reference to another patient and was in no way was answering my request. I had to call back to ask that the nurse call me again and she then replied by sending a message on MyChart to say that she would ask Dr. Flyckt to get back to me. Overall, communication has just been a little messy and it's a big game of phone tag (you call, leave a message, you wait for someone to call you back, etc.).
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
CCF is a well-regarded medical facility and it's fairly well run compared to some other medical offices I've been to (granted, those other offices weren't fertility clinics). That said, trying to communicate anything in a timely fashion comes down to a giant game of phone tag. You have to call and leave a message with a receptionist in order to get any information or an answer about any question (no matter how simple). Then you have to hope that someone calls you back. I had one message that I left regarding medication and still hadn't heard back almost 10 days later, so I called again and then someone finally called me back. You really have to stay on top of things here and be prepared to call A LOT and sometimes multiple times for the same request, just to make sure they haven't forgotten about you. Also, since you don't speak to a nurse when you originally place your phone call, they generally call you back when you're not available or free (e.g., you're at work), so that's also quite inconvenient and stressful.
I've only done medicated timed intercourse thus far, so it's the cost of Clomid and Progesterone, which are fairly inexpensive. The lab work and office visit were close to $1k.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
[Dr. Cynthia Austin] said there are considerations for 2. But mostly they suggest only 1 [embryo transfer]...She was very through in the process at the IVF consult and took plenty of time to answer all our questions...We used mini-stimulation. This was decided due to my diminished ovarian reserve. She said the results are good using this even sometimes having better quality eggs from a person with a diminished reserve. She said she would expect 3-6 eggs to be able to retrieve from any stimulation course we selected. I showed a positive response in my estridol on the clomid so we proceeded with that. I am in the middle of my cycle looking to trigger tomorrow. But as on right now I have 2-18mm, 1- 16mm & 2-11mm follicles. Hoping a couple more are more mature come the day of retrieval. My initial response on day 7 of stimulation was not great. Day 9 still not great. They increased my dose of Folistim to 300 and on Day 11 something started to happen!
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Cynthia is very through and detail oriented. Something to be prepared with is you will communicate more with the nurses then the actual doctor. But I think I have come to like how the Cleveland Clinic works as a team. The doctors meet daily mid day to discuss all patients under a cycle of monitoring. After the meeting they communicate to you via the nurse. As first it felt a little rocky but once we got going my comfort increased. You do have mychart messaging available to send messages directly to Cynthia and she always responded very promptly!
If you questions. Message through My Chart to the doctor!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Soshanna)
My primary nurse was great. She did have a schedule vacation when everything was picking up in my cycle. That is another reason I liked the team approach Cleveland Clinic works with. Cindy stepped in and was wonderful too! They are all very attentive and willing to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Based on my review of the CDC documents they have a great results. I really like the team approach you have multiple doctors with many years of experience to consult with and give you the best plan. The beachwood location is great for having everything full service with in the space. Bloodwork, Ultrasounds, Nurses, etc..
Prepayment for IVF is $11,600. Plus the ultrasounds & nurse visits ( i haven't received these bills yet. I have had 5. The medications have been $2,750 using mini-stimulation. These are the costs for the actual IVF. All the pre work up costs are additional. Genetic Testing for both my husband & I $500. Other bloodwork & hysterscopy plus other pre things were done.
The strongly lead with single embryo transfer. Cynthia said there are considerations for 2. But mostly they suggest only 1.
What specific things went wrong at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
I was going to do an IUI cycle before IVF. My instructions for the ovulation test to schedule IUI wasn't clear and we missed my ovulation. I communicated with the doctor. I was suppose to rise, urinate and 1 hr urinate again. I didn't know I wasn't suppose to drink water in that hour and I did....alot! Never got my positive OPK
Beachwood
She [Dr. Flyckt] is very personable and genunily cares about your situation and wants to help!...She gave me her cell phone number and would call me regularly! Although our journey had an unexpected result she was able to come up with a new plan for our future cycle of IVF and kept us hopeful we could still have a baby!...She will go above and beyond for your care!...I was on an antagonist protocol! I did a small dose of HCG (5U), follistim starting at 300iu; also triggered with lupron and HCG. I produced 12 eggs, 8 were mature and 7 fertilized. I was called daily by the lab with progress but unfortunately on day 4 received a call that all the embryos stopped growing. We were unable to freeze anything and we're devastated. Rebecca thinks it is related to poor egg quality which never crossed my mind since I am only 28.
The nurses were wonderful [at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center], very informative and compassionate! They were easy to get ahold of and were able to answer all my questions!...Monitoring hours were from 7am-8am. I was able to schedule a time and was always seem on my scheduled appointment time. The US and lab always ran effeciently and smoothly...I have zero complaints about the Cleveland Clinic. All of staff was respectful, organized, informative and compassionate! The only thing I found frustrating was US and blood work monitoring on the weekends. They only had one location open and they seemed under staffed! One occasion I had to wait over an hour to have these two tasks completed.
When we first met Rebecca we knew she was our doctor right away! She was compassionate about her job and our situation! She kept us positive and was always reaching out to see how we were handling each step of the IVF process. She gave me her cell phone number and would call me regularly! Although our journey had an unexpected result she was able to come up with a new plan for our future cycle of IVF and kept us hopeful we could still have a baby!
You will not be dissappointed! She will go above and beyond for your care!
She is very personable and genunily cares about your situation and wants to help!
The nurses were wonderful, very informative and compassionate! They were easy to get ahold of and were able to answer all my questions!
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
After insurance we owed a little over $1,000. After a failed IVF cycle and 5 IUIs at UH we are about $5,000 in debt.
Describe Rebecca Flyckt's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Rebecca felt if I had 1 very strong healthy embryo it would be best to transfer one

IUI, 2 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Flyckt took her time to really listen to me and my partner about our struggle to get pregnant. We felt very welcomed by her and she answered all our questions in a positive & truthful way. ... Protocol used was the "AA (Agonist-Antagonist) Protocol ... We needed her support to continue with the IVF cycle, because we have had 2 failed IVF cycles before at a different clinic and we didn't know the reasons why prior IVF cycles failed.
Clinic [Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] is very clean and lab is kept under highest control in preserving the patient's embryos. Staff is very friendly, and helpful if you have any question about the paperwork or insurance. Financial counselor is also very helpful in explaining the cost of the procedure and is knowledgeable which insurance will cover what procedure and what will not, and what out of pocket cost will be. Overall clinic maintains the highest customer service.
IUI, 2 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Flyckt took her time to really listen to me and my partner about our struggle to get pregnant. We felt very welcomed by her and she answered all our questions in a positive & truthful way. We needed her support to continue with the IVF cycle, because we have had 2 failed IVF cycles before at a different clinic and we didn't know the reasons why prior IVF cycles failed. Dr. Flyckt explained everything and really took her time to listen to us, and encouraged us to try another cycle of IVF which resulted in a baby. We are very thankful to Dr. Flyckt and her team.
Very knowledgeable, polite and experienced doctor.
Dr Flyckt treated me and my partner like human beings and we felt she really took the time to listen to our fertility struggles and explained everything that she can offer us. We had 2 prior failed IVF cycles at a different clinic and we didn't know the reasons why the cycles failed. Dr Flyckt really took the time to review our medical history and explained to us what could have caused the cycles to fail. She answered all our questions we had.
Protocol used was the "AA (Agonist-Antagonist) Protocol, which produce the maximum # of eggs (for me was total of 10 eggs) and it resulted in 2 good quality embryos which were both transferred and resulted in one healthy baby. My baby is 2 months old currently.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sally )
Team of nurses was very helpful and organized, explained the protocol and usage of the injectable medication very clearly, they ordered meds ahead when needed, and returned phone calls the same day.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Clinic is very clean and lab is kept under highest control in preserving the patient's embryos. Staff is very friendly, and helpful if you have any question about the paperwork or insurance. Financial counselor is also very helpful in explaining the cost of the procedure and is knowledgeable which insurance will cover what procedure and what will not, and what out of pocket cost will be. Overall clinic maintains the highest customer service.
Monitoring was done in the morning, between the hours of 6am to noon. Even though I had a set appointment or was late to it, I was seen.
IVF procedure cost was $11, 615, meds are anywhere from $3000-$5000.
The number of embryos that were transferred were 2 and resulted in 1 live birth. I personally think that multiple transfer of embryos is better since it gives a higher chance of embryo implanting in the uterus and producing a pregnancy.

PCOS, Unexplained, Other
Was left waiting for appointment (took off of work for) while I overheard her [Dr. Rebecca Flyckt] chatting with a nurse about recipes for more than 30 minutes...she never remembered our history, would just read off of the chart when we came in...is compassionate when you speak to her, but it can be hard to get her attention...I believe she is a good person...We were given incorrect dates for timing of appointments/procedures (which as you are all aware, timing is everything for getting pregnant).
One nurse [at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] wrote notes on paper towels, fumbled materials while preparing for IUI, couldn't find my cervix. Next month, I told another nurse about my bad experience and said that my cervix could be difficult to find, and she rolled her eyes and guessed which nurse I had the last time, and said 'User error'...Felt like they just shuffled you through the program. Billing was terrible and inaccurate. Couldn't get a hold of anyone to discuss.
PCOS, Unexplained, Other
It may have been more a result of the Cleveland Clinic's system, but she never remembered our history, would just read off of the chart when we came in. We were given incorrect dates for timing of appointments/procedures (which as you are all aware, timing is everything for getting pregnant). Prescriptions were called in late. Was left waiting for appointment (took off of work for) while I overheard her chatting with a nurse about recipes for more than 30 minutes. Felt like they just shuffled you through the program. Billing was terrible and inaccurate. Couldn't get a hold of anyone to discuss.
Make sure you follow up continuously and get what you need. Dr. Flyckt is compassionate when you speak to her, but it can be hard to get her attention. Again, I believe she is a good person, just a product of the Cleveland Clinic machine.
It may have been more a result of the Cleveland Clinic's system, but she never remembered our history, would just read off of the chart when we came in. We were given incorrect dates for timing of appointments/procedures (which as you are all aware, timing is everything for getting pregnant). Felt like they just shuffled you through the program. Billing was terrible and inaccurate. Couldn't get a hold of anyone to discuss.
One nurse gave us incorrect information on timing for an IUI, then said nothing and went through with the procedure even though she knew it wouldn't work. Went in the next month (same timing) and that nurse told us the error. One nurse wrote notes on paper towels, fumbled materials while preparing for IUI, couldn't find my cervix. Next month, I told another nurse about my bad experience and said that my cervix could be difficult to find, and she rolled her eyes and guessed which nurse I had the last time, and said 'User error'.

2013 - 2018
IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Flyckt took the time to call me with follow-ups and to check-in. If there was bad news with a test result, she would personally call. She is always available via e-mail and never makes you feel like you are taking up too much of her time. ... Because I have Premature Ovarian Failure, I really did not have options outside of donor eggs, which I used. My protocol was estrogen and progesterone to prepare my body for IVF. ...
The downside is the billing - it is always wrong and you are not given time to work out the details with your insurance company. Also scheduling can sometimes be tricky, but 9 times out of 10, you are able to get the appointment you need. Request first in the morning whenever possible to avoid delays. ... All of the staff [Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] was fantastic. I was very anxious and they were so kind to me - they handled all of my questions and freak-out's quite well!
2013 - 2018
IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Flyckt is truly one of the best doctors at the Cleveland Clinic. She is kind, compassionate and cares about all of her patients. She is empathetic, willing to explore different treatment options...she is the real deal.
Know that you are in amazing hands; she will be 100% honest with you and not steer you wrong.
Because I have Premature Ovarian Failure, I really did not have options outside of donor eggs, which I used. My protocol was estrogen and progesterone to prepare my body for IVF. I transferred one embryo in September, 2017 and gave birth in April of 2018.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sally and Mary)
All of the staff was fantastic. I was very anxious and they were so kind to me - they handled all of my questions and freak-out's quite well! I am grateful to have had them assist in my journey.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
World class facility -everything is state of the art. The downside is the billing - it is always wrong and you are not given time to work out the details with your insurance company. Also scheduling can sometimes be tricky, but 9 times out of 10, you are able to get the appointment you need. Request first in the morning whenever possible to avoid delays.
In total, we paid $30,000. A good portion of that was for our egg donor. I believe $11,000 was for the IVF and all associated care / tests / embryology. The storage fee for the embryos is included for the first year, then $350 per year after.

8 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Under Dr Flyckt’s care, we did 4 IUI with ultrasound monitoring and trigger shots. With no positive results we moved onto IVF. I was able to become pregnant on the first cycle with a fresh transfer and froze 2 embryos. I now have a wonderful 15 month old daughter and am moving towards doing a frozen transfer in the next few months...is very kind and always allows us to express our feelings...is very knowledgeable and clearly describes procedures, diagnosis, etc. She has a wonderful bedside manner and responds well to high emotions. She communicates as well in person and through cleveland clinics mychart system. We have recommended her to friends.
On the day of our transfer [at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] we were given critical information about our embryos moments before the actual transfer. We felt that we would have been more comfortable with our decisions if we had been given this information during an earlier phone call in the day. Otherwise, we were very happy with the facility, staff and the clinic’s protocols...10,000 for IVF and $500 per IUI, we will be paying $3,000 for a frozen embryo transfer
8 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr Flyckt is very knowledgeable and clearly describes procedures, diagnosis, etc. She has a wonderful bedside manner and responds well to high emotions. She communicates as well in person and through cleveland clinics mychart system. We have recommended her to friends.
Call to make an appointment as early as you can- she books up and her schedule is very full!
Dr Flyckt is very kind and always allows us to express our feelings.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
In comparison with how a friend has described her retrieval and transfer at a different clinic, this facility is much more kind and consistent. You are treated as a person, not a number. During the processes you are given your own room, group of staff and are encouraged to use the room as long as you would like after procedures.
What specific things went wrong at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
On the day of our transfer we were given critical information about our embryos moments before the actual transfer. We felt that we would have been more comfortable with our decisions if we had been given this information during an earlier phone call in the day. Otherwise, we were very happy with the facility, staff and the clinic’s protocols.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
While we only met 2 or 3 times with Dr Austin (the rest of the appointments were usually bloodwork, ultrasounds, appts with nurses), she definitely made us feel like this is possible and she listened. She also was very patient, had zero ego and she gave us confidence in the lab as well as answered questions...thorough in our initial meeting and provided some education for my husband who was not as familiar with the various options. She is very responsive through My Chart
Sally [nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] is a much more experienced nurse and while I appreciate her compassion, the customer service is a bit to be desired. I work in a place where it is difficult to take private phone calls. She never checks my medical records prior to calling and then asks questions that are very difficult to answer in a public environment. I eventually got so frustrated with this that I had to give my patient husband the responsibility of corresponding with her.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr Austin was thorough in our initial meeting and provided some education for my husband who was not as familiar with the various options. She is very responsive through My Chart but I really didn't see her or talk to her more than a few times throughout our journey.
After hearing about some of my other friends experiences at other clinics, their doctor is more hands-on and communicates through phone and text more frequently providing a more personal experience.
We discussed all strategies but we had already tried Clomid and due to my age, we decided that it may be more efficient to go straight to IVF. Dr Austin felt confident that we'd have good results with the microdose Lupron protocol and gave us the pros/cons of PGS. We decided to do that in combination with the retrieval. After only having 5 eggs retrieved (all 5 made it Day 5 blasts), we were disappointed to only have 1 PGS normal embryo. Since we had paid for the PGS to have 8 embryos tested in total and we wanted to have more than 1 embryo, we did a second retrieval right away (similar protocol but slightly more aggressive). We had 6 embryos make it to Day 5/6 blasts and 2 were PGS normal (1 didn't have enough DNA). We've had one successful FET (single embryo) but it's still very early in the process (week 6). We did have some issues with regulating my thyroid which I had to push a little to explore more with a different endocrinologist and I wish I had pushed harder for Endometrial Scratch Biopsy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sally)
Sally is a much more experienced nurse and while I appreciate her compassion, the customer service is a bit to be desired. I work in a place where it is difficult to take private phone calls. She never checks my medical records prior to calling and then asks questions that are very difficult to answer in a public environment. I eventually got so frustrated with this that I had to give my patient husband the responsibility of corresponding with her. She has a heart of gold and I appreciate all that she has done. I'm sure it's not an easy job but when you pay so much money for something, you want excellent service.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Very thorough lab and I really enjoyed the retrieval and transfer process immensely. It was difficult to predict communication such as calls, lab results, etc. Some of the doctors were better about introducing themselves to us than others. And it seems that they are still a little bit behind as far as using binders and paper but you do have decent access to labs and can communicate through MyChart. I felt like everyone genuinely cared. I only had one that ultrasound tech who wasn't friendly at all. Again, it's a more expensive clinic than most and you'd expect customer service expectations to reflect that cost. The only other comment is that I had asked for Endometrial Scratch Biopsy early in the process but when I confirmed whether we could schedule it, we were too far along in the transfer process. Also, similar to this, we had an erratic thyroid issue and Dr Austin seemed less concerned than other medical professionals involved in my care but could have led to miscarriage had we done the transfer. As a result, it was postponed.
We paid around $35k for 2 retrievals/PGS/drugs and one FET.
Dr Austin discouraged us from multiple embryo transfer due to increased risks. We also didn't want to take our chances with so few frozen embryos in storage.
What specific things went wrong at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Less about things going wrong and more just about the level of attention/communication.

2012 - 2018
Dr. Goldberg was very understanding and communicative. We consulted with him twice for two rounds. The first one resulted in a live birth, the other is ongoing. He was very eager to answer any and all questions. Being that my wife is well educated and very good at research, he at times seemed a bit surprised at the detailed/informed questions he was asked but did a great job in answering them all. We were a bit surprised we did not see him face to face any more following the consultations. All in all, I feel Dr. Goldberg is a very comparable doctor.
Communication would be the one thing that stands out to me. At times I felt things weren't always communicated completely. I felt we had to make sure we asked lots of questions along the way about what was happening next and that we had the appropriate amount of drugs, etc. At other times, another part of the clinic seemed uniformed of ultrasounds ordered by a nurse that fell out of the normal procedure. Things like that surprised me given the reputation The Cleveland Clinic has.
2012 - 2018
I would say make sure you are well informed throughout the cycle and ask lots of questions about every step of the procedure.
Dr. Goldberg was very warm and informative. He answered all our questions and treated us very kindly. However, durning our first transfer, the doctor that performed the procedure (Dr. Austin) was anything but understanding or compassionate. She was very blunt and direct in letting us know that our case (we did a 'Mini - low dose with letrozole) was interfering with her case numbers. Basically, because we chose to do a 'Mini' that would screw up her numbers if it didn't result in a positive pregnancy and negatively reflect on the cases she had to report. It was very upsetting and disheartining to hear her cold bedside manner during a sensitive time for us both.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Shoshana Berenholz BSN, RN)
All staff at The Cleveland Clinic seemed great. The only thing I might say about the staff overall is that the communication between everyone at times was a little lacking. I felt that if we weren't on top of things and asked questions at every step, things could be overlooked and not communicated completely.
Approximately $21,000
Describe Jeffrey Goldberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
During our first experience, we wanted to do a eSET, but the doctor performing the procedure (Dr. Austin) was very cold and blunt with her objection and as a result felt almost forced into a multiple ET. This did result in a live birth that we were so happy for, but the manner in which she presented it to us was very uncompassionate and insensitive.
What specific things went wrong at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Mostly the conflicting opinions from the doctors (Dr. Goldberg & Dr. Austin) in regards to the Mini - low dose letrozole cycle we did the first time. Dr. Goldberg seemed very open to it whereas Dr. Austin we found out during our transfer was not at all. Interestingly, they no longer offer that at The Cleveland Clinic. The communication between the staff was not horrible but a little lacking at times as well.
Jeffrey Goldberg

Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
She's [Dr. Rebecca Flyckt] very busy, so it can be difficult to get an appointment as a new incoming patient. However, I was always given full attention when I was in need of contact with her. She's very thorough and educated on my specific medical conditions and needs, so I never had to question my care. She was a referral because my specific needs required more specialized skills and training, and she's been great bedside and in the office.
Cleveland Clinic is the only hospital I will go to in my area.... At any time, if I had concerns or questions there was no hesitation in helpibg me get the answers. Post surgery 2, my 2 nurses at the Beachwood Clinic ICU were amazing I have no words. Without Dr Flyckt's knowledgeable engaged nursing team, the care wouldn't be what it is.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
She's very busy, so it can be difficult to get an appointment as a new incoming patient. However, I was always given full attention when I was in need of contact with her. She's very thorough and educated on my specific medical conditions and needs, so I never had to question my care. She was a referral because my specific needs required more specialized skills and training, and she's been great bedside and in the office.
She's all ears and ready to assist in sny way she can within her medical expertise. Be patient with her schedule, she's worth the little wait to get in to see her.
I've always been given the time I needed face-to-face interaction in the office and/or hospital. If the scheduler could not get me in, all I had to do was message my Dr and she would fit me in without issues.
I had 2 quite major surgeries within weeks of each other, the second one she did, so she wanted my uterus and all to be healed before trying to conceive. Initially there was no concern that we would have more issues conceiving, so we trued for 6 mos. She wanted a check in with her if nothing happened after that time. We discussed and moved toward IUI and oral meds. She limited us to 3 rounds as she felt doing more could cause me and my body further complications. After 3 rounds, it was made clear IVF would have to be our next step and affording that was going to be a challenge.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Cleveland Clinic is the only hospital I will go to in my area. They are top rated in various categories for good reason. I've been treated by many different physicians at the clinic and have received top quality care all around. As mentioned previously, some drs can be a little difficult to get in to see quickly, but they are good at fitting you in. Very clean and professional from the parking lot to the top floors.
I don't remember all details. Each round of IUI (not including meds) is around $500 per round. They do give a military veteran discount and that helps. IVF is around $12,000 per round, but again give military veteran discount (though my husband and I have yet to do IVF due to up front out of pocket costs.)

Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Agonist Protocol [with Dr. Cynthia Austin]. It was a success, we retrieved 29 eggs!...I really wish that I would've transferred two embryos instead of the one but followed the recommendation...From our very first visit Dr. Austin sat down with us and made sure that we understood every step of the way...always took time to return my calls personally and made sure I felt 100% comfortable...she drew out on paper each step of the egg fertilization process. I love Dr. Austin so much and would recommend her. I also loved working with Dr. Flyckt, she is the one we worked with for all of our IUIs.
the clinic [Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] gets very, very busy at times and they treat a lot of people...Shoshana [nurse] was amazing. She really took alot of time meeting with my husband and I to help us understand the injections, how to do them and where! She even drew spots on my side so he knew exactly where to put them...The clinic procedures could be improved upon. There is a disconnect between the ultrasound department and the IVF staff. I'm not sure why. I believe the entire process of ordering IVF ultrasounds should be streamlined. Always double and triple check your appointment times and arrive early! I found it was best to book the very first appointment in the morning and get there super early.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
We enjoyed all of our interactions with Dr. Austin. She celebrated the successes with us when we retrieved 29 eggs! And she also mourned and consoled us when our first transfer did not work. I do not have my mom or family support and I felt like Dr. Austin treated me like family. Also, I thought is was very special how she explained the process to us on our first visit - I am a very visual person, visual leaner and she drew out on paper each step of the egg fertilization process. I love Dr. Austin so much and would recommend her. I also loved working with Dr. Flyckt, she is the one we worked with for all of our IUIs.
Be honest with how you are feeling and ask her anything! She is very direct and will make sure you have the best care for your specific condition.
From our very first visit Dr. Austin sat down with us and made sure that we understood every step of the way. While the clinic gets very, very busy at times and they treat a lot of people, Dr. Austin always took time to return my calls personally and made sure I felt 100% comfortable.
Agonist Protocol. It was a success, we retrieved 29 eggs!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Shoshana)
Shoshana was amazing. She really took alot of time meeting with my husband and I to help us understand the injections, how to do them and where! She even drew spots on my side so he knew exactly where to put them. They hardly hurt at all and she was always sure to check the areas every time I came in, she told us we were doing a great job. Also, I can't say enough about their phlebotomist, she was absolutely amazing and I didn't feel a thing when she would draw blood.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
In all we paid about $15,000 for our cycle that was not covered by insurance. This included medications and procedures.

2012 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Austin is a pretty good experienced dr. She does her possible best to explain your condition. I think she is a nice lady. From my observation, she appears to treat a certain way and does not appear to try other course of treatment or render other solutions.... I started with the clomid flostim protocol and that is what I used for the first two cycles. The third cycle, she used a different medication as flostim was on back ordered. She prescribed a high dose of the medications to try and stimulate my ovaries. If my memory serves me right, she did really try different options or protocols. Not sure why. She didn't recommend I take any vitamins, supplements or do anything else different or in addition that would assist. If you ask about any other alternatives, not much was provided, she didn't object to my ideas either.
[Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center's] Location was convenient for me. One stop shop. Neat and clean. Older building, can do with a facelift. But okay. Everyone keeps to themselves, not much interaction amongst patients. Would be good if patients spoke to each other and strengthened/encouraged one another during the journey. We all know why we are here.... My first nurse during my first cycle was fantastic but retired. The second nurse was so so. The third nurse showed compassion. This journey of fertility can be challenging and treating patients care and compassion goes a long way.
2012 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
She would provide you with information, ask questions if you are not clear.
Dr. Austin is a good doctor and does her possible best to explain your medical condition or situation to you. The front desk were as expected and did their job. The nurses I got to work with were pretty good. THere was one that was a little off. I guess, not everyone can be perfect or would treat you with empathy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Cant remember)
Provided the necessary information. Seemed to care. My first nurse during my first cycle was fantastic but retired. The second nurse was so so. The third nurse showed compassion. This journey of fertility can be challenging and treating patients care and compassion goes a long way.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Depends on your insurance. If not covered, you pay at out pocket. The clinic is pricer than other fertility clinics.
Beachwood

The nursing staff [at Cleveland Clinic- Beachwood] was very friendly. I lucked out and had the same nurse for 4 of my 5 IUI cycles, and a different nurse for one.... A huge weakness is the phone system. I can't think of a single time I called where I was able to talk to the secretary in less than 10 minutes of being on hold. The longest I had ever waited to get a hold of someone was 18 minutes.
As a single woman trying to have a child on her own, I knew going into this I would end up meeting people that didn't fully agree with my decision. During the initial consultation Dr. Austin asked me, "What on Earth would make you consider this at the tender age of 29 years old?" Tender age of 29... As if 29 was way too young to be considering having children. She did do a good job explaining the process of IUI and what to expect very well and let me know up front that I would not be seeing her often, since the nurses run the show and perform the IUI's. During the entire process (5 IUI's) and after each negative, I voiced my concern that no fertility testing had been done. No HSG to check for blocked tubes, no blood test to check ovarian reserve. I was continually told, I'm "young and healthy" and they aren't necessary. Same thing happened with medicated cycles. We started off with un-medicated cycles. After two negatives, I had to more or less stress I wanted to try a medicated cycle. After getting the doctor to agree, we started letrozole. After timing issues, I once again had to suggest trying the HCG trigger shot and trying monitored cycles with ultrasound. I called and voiced my frustration to the secretary and tried to schedule a meeting with Dr. Austin before my next cycle. The secretary told me she didn't have anything open for the next 2 months, but would pass the message along to the doctor. Luckily, Dr. Austin did call me back very promptly and offered to squeeze me in for a meeting. At the meeting, she did apologize for my frustration, and we discussed each negative cycle. I once again voiced my concern that we don't even know if my tubes are open. She still wasn't on board with doing an HSG, but said if I really wanted it, she would order it. She more or less told my next steps were moving to IVF. We discussed the difference between IUI and IVF, what it involves and the cost and I left with paper work on IVF, and the decision to make weather to use my remaining vials for IUI or save them for IVF. I decided to do one more IUI and save my last vial for IVF. In the end, it did work out since I did get pregnant with my last IUI attempt, but felt there was a lot of unnecessary frustration along the way.
If you have any concerns or questions about procedures/meds/timing, be insistent on making sure the nurses pass the information along to the Doctor. I had some timing issues with IUI and voiced my concerns to the secretary/nurses, and it appears the doctor was never notified.
Every time I had to call with a question or concern, I was treated as if I were an annoyance to not only the staff, but to the doctor as well. For the amount of time and money spent trying to get pregnant, I wanted to make sure I was not only doing this right, but optimizing every chance I had to ensure success.
I did 5 IUI's. The first two were completely un-medicated, due to my younger age and no know health issues. Both unmedicated cycles were negative. The third IUI was medicated with Letrozole 2.5mg. Letrozole was used because my cycles tended to be on the longer side and I wasn't ovulating until day 20-23 of my cycle. This cycle was negative. The fourth was letrozole 2.5mg, HCG trigger shot, and monitored ultrasounds for follicle count. HCG trigger shot and ultrasound were used to better pin point ovulation timing. This cycle was negative. The fifth was Letrozole 2.5mg, HCG trigger shot, monitored ultrasounds, and progesterone 200mg suppositories since my luteal phase was a bit on the short side. The 5th IUI resulted in a positive pregnancy.
The nursing staff was very friendly. I lucked out and had the same nurse for 4 of my 5 IUI cycles, and a different nurse for one.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Overall, I feel as if I were treated more as a number than a patient, which is very unfortunate. In the end they did deliver me results, but with a lot of frustration along the way. A huge weakness is the phone system. I can't think of a single time I called where I was able to talk to the secretary in less than 10 minutes of being on hold. The longest I had ever waited to get a hold of someone was 18 minutes.