Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication is not offered: Not Offered
Avon
33100 Cleveland Clinic Blvd.
Avon, OH 44011
Twinsburg
8701 Darrow Road
Twinsburg, OH 44087
330-888-4000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Sally [nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] is a much more experienced nurse and while I appreciate her compassion, the customer service is a bit to be desired. I work in a place where it is difficult to take private phone calls. She never checks my medical records prior to calling and then asks questions that are very difficult to answer in a public environment. I eventually got so frustrated with this that I had to give my patient husband the responsibility of corresponding with her.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Very thorough lab and I really enjoyed the retrieval and transfer process immensely. It was difficult to predict communication such as calls, lab results, etc. Some of the doctors were better about introducing themselves to us than others. And it seems that they are still a little bit behind as far as using binders and paper but you do have decent access to labs and can communicate through MyChart. I felt like everyone genuinely cared. I only had one that ultrasound tech who wasn't friendly at all. Again, it's a more expensive clinic than most and you'd expect customer service expectations to reflect that cost. The only other comment is that I had asked for Endometrial Scratch Biopsy early in the process but when I confirmed whether we could schedule it, we were too far along in the transfer process. Also, similar to this, we had an erratic thyroid issue and Dr Austin seemed less concerned than other medical professionals involved in my care but could have led to miscarriage had we done the transfer. As a result, it was postponed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cynthia Austin at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
While we only met 2 or 3 times with Dr Austin (the rest of the appointments were usually bloodwork, ultrasounds, appts with nurses), she definitely made us feel like this is possible and she listened. She also was very patient, had zero ego and she gave us confidence in the lab as well as answered questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sally)
Sally is a much more experienced nurse and while I appreciate her compassion, the customer service is a bit to be desired. I work in a place where it is difficult to take private phone calls. She never checks my medical records prior to calling and then asks questions that are very difficult to answer in a public environment. I eventually got so frustrated with this that I had to give my patient husband the responsibility of corresponding with her. She has a heart of gold and I appreciate all that she has done. I'm sure it's not an easy job but when you pay so much money for something, you want excellent service.
What specific things went wrong at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
How was your experience with Cynthia Austin at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Dr Austin was thorough in our initial meeting and provided some education for my husband who was not as familiar with the various options. She is very responsive through My Chart but I really didn't see her or talk to her more than a few times throughout our journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cynthia Austin at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
After hearing about some of my other friends experiences at other clinics, their doctor is more hands-on and communicates through phone and text more frequently providing a more personal experience.
Describe the protocols Cynthia Austin used in your cycles at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We discussed all strategies but we had already tried Clomid and due to my age, we decided that it may be more efficient to go straight to IVF. Dr Austin felt confident that we'd have good results with the microdose Lupron protocol and gave us the pros/cons of PGS. We decided to do that in combination with the retrieval. After only having 5 eggs retrieved (all 5 made it Day 5 blasts), we were disappointed to only have 1 PGS normal embryo. Since we had paid for the PGS to have 8 embryos tested in total and we wanted to have more than 1 embryo, we did a second retrieval right away (similar protocol but slightly more aggressive). We had 6 embryos make it to Day 5/6 blasts and 2 were PGS normal (1 didn't have enough DNA). We've had one successful FET (single embryo) but it's still very early in the process (week 6). We did have some issues with regulating my thyroid which I had to push a little to explore more with a different endocrinologist and I wish I had pushed harder for Endometrial Scratch Biopsy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cynthia Austin at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
We paid around $35k for 2 retrievals/PGS/drugs and one FET.
Describe Cynthia Austin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Dr Austin discouraged us from multiple embryo transfer due to increased risks. We also didn't want to take our chances with so few frozen embryos in storage.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
Cleveland Clinic fertility center has very short wait times and it was easy to schedule appointments. They are open 7 days a week with early hours (6:30 am) which makes it easy to work around your schedule. Their lab does close over the Christmas holiday for 3 weeks.... Chelsea [nurse] is amazing! So compassionate, very responsive, and knowledgeable.... Cleveland Clinic offers employee discount at about 60% off IVF. Deposit was about $5800, meds were around $3000. I am still getting bills from labs/ultrasounds etc that are being run through insurance.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
I felt like Dr. Austin is always making decisions based upon my personal situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Chelsea)
Chelsea is amazing! So compassionate, very responsive, and knowledgeable.
The first time I met with Dr. Austin, she spent over an hour with me going over previous treatment and what she suggested next. She helped me set a realistic timeline with moving forward. I didn't see much of her after this initial meeting, but we did communicate via her nurse as well as my chart messaging directly. When I had a miscarriage, we messaged back and forth regarding what we should do next and Her nurse called me directly.
She is very direct and realistic. She will tell you her opinion, but ultimately lets you lead the way in your care.
I had used the long lupron protocol at a previous clinic with disappointing results. We did stims for 9.5 days, triggered and had 8 eggs with 3 embryos. 2 transfers ended in miscarriage and one was unsuccessful. With Dr. Austin, we did the antagonistic protocol with much better results. Stims for 12 days: 16 mature eggs, 6 final embryos. Our fresh transfer unfortunately ended in miscarriage but we have 5 more embryos. We are hoping to find the cause of our recurrent miscarriages before transferring any more embryos.
Dr. Austin suggested single embryo transfer based on my age (30 yo). However, she did say the decision was ultimately up to me.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
This clinic [Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] is LGBTQ friendly and has multiple locations throughout the Cleveland area. The office is easily accessible and there is a lab and pharmacy on site. I do have to drive to a different clinic location when I inseminate, because they only store donor sperm at one location.... All of the nursing staff and the nurse practitioner have been wonderful, compassionate, available and understanding.... Looking into IVF the costs are around $15,000 with medications.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
This clinic is LGBTQ friendly and has multiple locations throughout the Cleveland area. The office is easily accessible and there is a lab and pharmacy on site. I do have to drive to a different clinic location when I inseminate, because they only store donor sperm at one location. Appointment scheduling is flexible, communication is good and staff is always available through the portal and by phone. I cannot think of a single weakness about the clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Julierut Tantibhedhyangkul at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Dr. Tan and her staff always address me and my wife by name. They have always made us feel comfortable. Dr. Tan always spends ample time explaining procedures while in the office and often times personally calls me to go over our next plan. Dr. Tan even called me on a Saturday after a failed cycle to check on me. All of the staff in the office are very friendly. Dr. Tan is very flexible and open to try multiple strategies. Dr. Tan is always as gentle as possible during painful procedures and thoroughly talks me through what is happening before, during, and after.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
How was your experience with Julierut Tantibhedhyangkul at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Dr. Tan is a very kind and knowledgeable doctor. She is compassionate and truly cares about her patients. She always explains each detail of the plan for that month and answers all questions. De. Tan often calls me personally to discuss cycle details or the plan for that cycle. When things do not go as planned she always explains what the next step will be and we come uo with a new plan, if needed together. Dr. Tan is always cognizant of her words and is always very soothing when things do not go as planned. Dr. Tan is open and willing to offer suggestions and try different methods if one method has not worked. Dr. Tan is always gentle during painful procedures and talks me through it. I have had a fantastic experience with Dr. Tan and although I am not yet pregnant, I have confidence and trust in her as a doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Julierut Tantibhedhyangkul at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
I would advise that the patient goes in with an open mind and be as open and honest about their situation as possible. Dr. Tan is very LGBTQ friendly.
Describe the protocols Julierut Tantibhedhyangkul used in your cycles at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I have PCOS so I when I started my fertility journey in 2016 I was prescribed Metformin in an attempt to lower my sugar and reduce insulin levels as a measure to assist in ovulation. I also had an HSG to ensure that my tubes were not blocked. My first cycle I took Letrozole and it gave me very severe headaches and I didn't ovulate that cycle. The next cycle I tired 50 mg of Clomid and did ovulate,l on that cycle but we did not inseminate as it was a trial run. The clomid was increased to 100 mg and I did not ovulate that cycle although I got a positive opk. I did inseminzte that cycle, but dis not fall pregnant because i did not ovulate. At that point it was determined that opks did not work for me and my dose of clomid was increased to 150 mg and we did a follicular ultrasound in CD, I took the Clomid CD 3-7 and had an ultrasound on CD 10. Unfortunately, that cycle I ovulated too soon and could not inseminate. I did 2 more cycles on the same dose with very close monitoring and I had confirmed ovulation but did not become pregnant. I took a break for a few months and then in the Summer of 2017 we decided to do a cycle of Clomid along with the Follistim pen. This cycle did not work and I did not grow eggs. We decided to take a break and then in September I began having very heavy, irregular bleeding and had a biopsy, but all results were negative. My wife and I are planning to begin again and discuss IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Julierut Tantibhedhyangkul at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
I have paid out of pocket for some services, but my insurance pays for some of the services such as my follicular ultrasounds. I have to pay out of pocket for all medications and IUI. IUI is $300. The cost of medication varies per cycle. Looking into IVF the costs are around $15,000 with medications.
Describe Julierut Tantibhedhyangkul's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
We have not discussed this as of yet.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Cleveland Clinic is the only hospital I will go to in my area.... At any time, if I had concerns or questions there was no hesitation in helpibg me get the answers. Post surgery 2, my 2 nurses at the Beachwood Clinic ICU were amazing I have no words. Without Dr Flyckt's knowledgeable engaged nursing team, the care wouldn't be what it is.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Cleveland Clinic is the only hospital I will go to in my area. They are top rated in various categories for good reason. I've been treated by many different physicians at the clinic and have received top quality care all around. As mentioned previously, some drs can be a little difficult to get in to see quickly, but they are good at fitting you in. Very clean and professional from the parking lot to the top floors.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rebecca Flyckt at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
I've always been given the time I needed face-to-face interaction in the office and/or hospital. If the scheduler could not get me in, all I had to do was message my Dr and she would fit me in without issues.
How was your experience with Rebecca Flyckt at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
She's very busy, so it can be difficult to get an appointment as a new incoming patient. However, I was always given full attention when I was in need of contact with her. She's very thorough and educated on my specific medical conditions and needs, so I never had to question my care. She was a referral because my specific needs required more specialized skills and training, and she's been great bedside and in the office.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rebecca Flyckt at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
She's all ears and ready to assist in sny way she can within her medical expertise. Be patient with her schedule, she's worth the little wait to get in to see her.
Describe the protocols Rebecca Flyckt used in your cycles at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I had 2 quite major surgeries within weeks of each other, the second one she did, so she wanted my uterus and all to be healed before trying to conceive. Initially there was no concern that we would have more issues conceiving, so we trued for 6 mos. She wanted a check in with her if nothing happened after that time. We discussed and moved toward IUI and oral meds. She limited us to 3 rounds as she felt doing more could cause me and my body further complications. After 3 rounds, it was made clear IVF would have to be our next step and affording that was going to be a challenge.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rebecca Flyckt at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
I don't remember all details. Each round of IUI (not including meds) is around $500 per round. They do give a military veteran discount and that helps. IVF is around $12,000 per round, but again give military veteran discount (though my husband and I have yet to do IVF due to up front out of pocket costs.)
Beachwood
The nursing staff [at Cleveland Clinic- Beachwood] was very friendly. I lucked out and had the same nurse for 4 of my 5 IUI cycles, and a different nurse for one.... A huge weakness is the phone system. I can't think of a single time I called where I was able to talk to the secretary in less than 10 minutes of being on hold. The longest I had ever waited to get a hold of someone was 18 minutes.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Overall, I feel as if I were treated more as a number than a patient, which is very unfortunate. In the end they did deliver me results, but with a lot of frustration along the way. A huge weakness is the phone system. I can't think of a single time I called where I was able to talk to the secretary in less than 10 minutes of being on hold. The longest I had ever waited to get a hold of someone was 18 minutes.
Every time I had to call with a question or concern, I was treated as if I were an annoyance to not only the staff, but to the doctor as well. For the amount of time and money spent trying to get pregnant, I wanted to make sure I was not only doing this right, but optimizing every chance I had to ensure success.
The nursing staff was very friendly. I lucked out and had the same nurse for 4 of my 5 IUI cycles, and a different nurse for one.
As a single woman trying to have a child on her own, I knew going into this I would end up meeting people that didn't fully agree with my decision. During the initial consultation Dr. Austin asked me, "What on Earth would make you consider this at the tender age of 29 years old?" Tender age of 29... As if 29 was way too young to be considering having children. She did do a good job explaining the process of IUI and what to expect very well and let me know up front that I would not be seeing her often, since the nurses run the show and perform the IUI's. During the entire process (5 IUI's) and after each negative, I voiced my concern that no fertility testing had been done. No HSG to check for blocked tubes, no blood test to check ovarian reserve. I was continually told, I'm "young and healthy" and they aren't necessary. Same thing happened with medicated cycles. We started off with un-medicated cycles. After two negatives, I had to more or less stress I wanted to try a medicated cycle. After getting the doctor to agree, we started letrozole. After timing issues, I once again had to suggest trying the HCG trigger shot and trying monitored cycles with ultrasound. I called and voiced my frustration to the secretary and tried to schedule a meeting with Dr. Austin before my next cycle. The secretary told me she didn't have anything open for the next 2 months, but would pass the message along to the doctor. Luckily, Dr. Austin did call me back very promptly and offered to squeeze me in for a meeting. At the meeting, she did apologize for my frustration, and we discussed each negative cycle. I once again voiced my concern that we don't even know if my tubes are open. She still wasn't on board with doing an HSG, but said if I really wanted it, she would order it. She more or less told my next steps were moving to IVF. We discussed the difference between IUI and IVF, what it involves and the cost and I left with paper work on IVF, and the decision to make weather to use my remaining vials for IUI or save them for IVF. I decided to do one more IUI and save my last vial for IVF. In the end, it did work out since I did get pregnant with my last IUI attempt, but felt there was a lot of unnecessary frustration along the way.
If you have any concerns or questions about procedures/meds/timing, be insistent on making sure the nurses pass the information along to the Doctor. I had some timing issues with IUI and voiced my concerns to the secretary/nurses, and it appears the doctor was never notified.
I did 5 IUI's. The first two were completely un-medicated, due to my younger age and no know health issues. Both unmedicated cycles were negative. The third IUI was medicated with Letrozole 2.5mg. Letrozole was used because my cycles tended to be on the longer side and I wasn't ovulating until day 20-23 of my cycle. This cycle was negative. The fourth was letrozole 2.5mg, HCG trigger shot, and monitored ultrasounds for follicle count. HCG trigger shot and ultrasound were used to better pin point ovulation timing. This cycle was negative. The fifth was Letrozole 2.5mg, HCG trigger shot, monitored ultrasounds, and progesterone 200mg suppositories since my luteal phase was a bit on the short side. The 5th IUI resulted in a positive pregnancy.
Beachwood
Our primary nurse [at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] was so wonderful. Would call to give me updates as much as she could and always had something positive to say to help us get through the experience...They have a wonderful staff, but certain procedures are only done during certain hours because of sharing equipment, which can be a pain for people who don't always have the time to take off of work during those set hours.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
I wish IVF wasn't so expensive. They have a wonderful staff, but certain procedures are only done during certain hours because of sharing equipment, which can be a pain for people who don't always have the time to take off of work during those set hours.
When we would meet with Dr. Austin, she spend a good hour each time going over every little thing we could ask her, making sure if we didn't understand something to find a better way to explain it, drew us diagrams of the entire process for us to keep for notes. She was truly wonderful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Our primary nurse was so wonderful. Would call to give me updates as much as she could and always had something positive to say to help us get through the experience.
Dr. Austin was very thorough. We did every test we could so far. The one test we haven't done, she wanted to wait to do until we were ready to start IVF (currently saving for this). I wish she wouldn't have encouraged us to do 4 IUI's and just told us to start saving for IVF sooner. IUI's aren't covered by our insurance, so knowing that money could have gone to the savings is frustrating. I wish we would have met with her in person more often rather that communicating with her via the nurse all the time, however, when we did meet with her she was always so caring. She was very carful with her words when discussing testing, keeping in mind that our first and only child died, which is incredibly important to my husband and I.
Don't get frustrated when she isn't the one your seeing all the time, but know that nothing is done without her input.
She saw that the first doctor we went to only prescribed clomid without doing any tests. That was the first thing she wanted done- to find out the cause of my cycle's just stopping and getting out of whack. Once we learned more about me through the tests, she prescribed me a thyroid medication, as well as increased the Clomid. When that no long worked, we switched to a letrozole. We began doing IUI's and trigger shots during the second cycle of letrozole. Every month when a treatment wouldn't work, she would go back to the drawing board and thing of another test that could be done (which I liked, I felt that she really was doing everything she could).
We spent at least $4,000 between all the tests, copays, IUI's and medication. Not to mention the money spend on the high quality pre-natal vitamins, and the organic, fertility diet my husband and I were on.
I had this question for her during one of our meetings. I brought it up because during my first pregnancy, I experienced a placental abruption and was afraid that by implanting more that one embryo, I was putting myself and too great a risk. But because of my daughter being stillborn because of that placental abruption and educating myself on how often pregnancy loss occurs, I thought maybe implanting two would be better. Dr. Austin talked my husband and I though it, and we all agreed that a single embryo would be best for my situation.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Strengths [at Cleveland Clinic]: Efficiency, respectful, kind, compassionate, clean, honest, great communication (email and phone calls answered either that day or next business day). Weaknesses: Some days/ times are quite busy in the lobby. Can take some time to get registered/ signed in (arrive early).... I have worked a lot with 2 nurses, Susan and Mary. They are both kind, compassionate, and quick to respond. They have often called back well after normal business hours in order to answer questions or provide test results. Every staff member at Dr Falcone's office was friendly and treated us with highest regards.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Strengths: Efficiency, respectful, kind, compassionate, clean, honest, great communication (email and phone calls answered either that day or next business day). Weaknesses: Some days/ times are quite busy in the lobby. Can take some time to get registered/ signed in (arrive early).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tomasso Falcone at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Everyone was nice and went out of their way to accommodate. They are very caring and empathetic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Susan and Mary)
How was your experience with Tomasso Falcone at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
I absolutely love Dr Falcone and would highly recommend him. No we didn't get the outcome we wanted so far, but he is not able to control that. He has done everything that he can do for us. He is very honest and can be matter of fact. He does not sugar coat or give false hope. He also does not take away hope. Most improtantly he is very knowledgeable and using cutting edge treatments, attempting to find better ways to treat women with infertility, specifically those with Endometriosis.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tomasso Falcone at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Take something to write with. Be prepared with questions. Know what you are expecting and discuss that with him and know that reality and expectations may not align, but he will be honest and up front with you about that. Don't expect warmth and emotions. While he is very kind, he is also very straight forward and sticks very much to the facts.
Describe the protocols Tomasso Falcone used in your cycles at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Excision surgery, Clomid, IUI, recommended IVF, but we could. Or afford it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tomasso Falcone at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Total with surgery was over $50000
Describe Tomasso Falcone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
We were told if we did IVF that they would transfer multiple embryos. We were definitely on board with that.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
I think the biggest strength of the Cleveland Clinic is it's cutting edge technology and labs. They were able to do all tests and labs right in office. They had on-staff people to do everything from the surgery to HSG to the blood word to embryo assessment, etc. This made getting results quick and efficient. I also think have multiple specialists on staff os great. There were several IVF specialists, male infertility specialists, etc. They also have great appointment times. I was able to do 6:30 a.m. appointments for all my scans and bloodwork which allowed me to still get to work on time daily. They also are open every day of the year except Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Weaknesses... The biggest weakness of Cleveland Clinic was their knowledge on how much things would cost. Many patients pay out of pocket, like myself and while they did provide cost break downs they were so far from accurate it was shocking. They quote you for an IUI around $460 but after the meds, scans and bloodwork that insurance doesn't cover it was more like $3,000 each time. The billing department was unable to help you figure out what was covered by your insurance as well. I was able to get the codes but even my insurance company was unsure until after the fact about what each scan would cost. Another weakness is the pharmacy. Barron's is the pharmacy they recommend using. It is a wonderful place with super helpful people, but they are not the cheapest. I wish I would have known that by I had trust CC with they said it was the cheapest. Overall I felt they had no idea what their procedures were really costing patients. At times I wanted additional tests done, like vitamin D or FSH, but CC was unwilling. They were also unwilling to try estrogen priming and other procedures that sometimes work for patients with low AMH. I felt they were very rigid in their views and treatments. The last weakness may be more personal but still... after my 4th failed IVF I decided to move on to donor eggs. I searched the 2 donor egg banks CC recommends but was unable to find any donors I liked. I searched for several weeks before eventually branching out and looking at other donor egg banks. Eventually I found a donor I loved but it brought me under the care of a different lead RE. The RE was located in California where I'd be traveling for my transfer but I still needed all my monitoring done at Cleveland Clinic. The second I was no longer under Dr. Austin's care, they stopped helping me. Dr. Austin even met with me to say she could no longer answer questions for me because she didnt want to step on toes. I completely understood this. What I didnt understand is why I could no longer use their lab for blood work or get the appointment times that I had been using for 3 years. After I switched doctors my blood work had to be done at the main lab where I would wait for an hour at times. Then the blood would have to be sent to an external lab to be processed and results would sometimes take 1 or 2 days to come in. They even sent me to a whole other branch of the Cleveland Clinic to do a procedure they had done on my twice before, but they would no longee due since Dr. Austin wasn't my primary. I was confused by this since they were still receiving my money for these appoinyments. I felt like I was just a number to them at that point. Prior to this I had not felt that way though, but I felt it needed to be mentioned.
The staff at Cleveland Clinic Beachwood learned my name and never forgot it. From the receptionist to the doctor, everyone was very friendly and compassionate. Even at times when I was less than happy, they kept a smile on their face.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
I actually did not get assigned a primary nurse but I really liked working with Nicole and requested her for everything. She was wonderful and friendly and positive and everything you could want in a nurse. The other nurses I worked with were also great. The ultrasound techs were proficient and quick as was the blood lab. Both secretaries at the front office were so helpful and kind.
I did not get to see Dr. Austin very often. I think I only met with her three times. When we did meet she was very straight forward and honest. I did feel a little like she would get confused about my diagnosis or issues. Sometimes I had to remind her that we had borderline low morphology or endo. Although she is hard to get a meeting with, she personally called me after each failed cycle to discuss the next steps. She also was always very good at responding via My Chart, Cleveland Clinic's messaging system. I definitely got to know my nurses better than her, but I felt like she was available if I needed to contact her.
She is very straight forward which can be difficult to take when you are so emotional already. Still she was very understanding about all my worries and concerns and took the time to address them.
I was diagnosed with Diminished Ovarian Reserve with an AMH of 0.131 at age 27. I also had an abnormal HSG which lead to a laproscopy where they found that my right ovary had the tube twisted around it and was atrophied. After many cycles we found that my right ovary never produced. They also found endo on my left ovary which they removed. After my surgery, I was given the option to move straight to IVF or start with IUI first. Dr. Austin was honest that I needed to move quickly considering my AMH levels, but gave me the option of IUI or IVF. Because we were paying out of pocket, we decided to try IUI with clomid first. After 3 unsuccessful rounds we moved on to IVF. My first round of IVF was an Antagonist protocol. Dr. Austin referred to it as the most aggressive protocol. I did not respond well to the meds and also had a cyst emerge so that cycle was converted to an IUI. The next 2 cycle I did mini IVF which both were canceled due to a lead follicle emerging. The last cycle I did with Austin was an micro flare lupron cycle. They retrieved 7 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilized but all stopped growing by day 3. Dr. Austin suggested donor eggs at this point (though she had mentioned it to me before) and I decided to pursue this route. I found an egg bank with a donor I liked that was outside of the Cleveland Clinic and Dr. Austin stopped being my primary at that point althought I still did testing there.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Quick and easy monitoring appointments at convenient times. The lab techs were proficient and quick.
I mentioned this in the weakness portion but... I paid put of pocket for everything. I felt Cleveland Clinic was unaware of how much their procedures really cost their patients. They always provided estimates but were so far off it was shocking. Their billing department was unable to help me predict costs and even my own insurance company wasnt much help. They quoted IUI as costing $460 plus meds but it really cost $3000 once scans and blood work were factored in. The IVF cycles ran anywhere from 18,000-30,000, but whatever their quotes were it always cost at least a couple thousand more.
I never made it to transfer but Dr. Austin did mention that she prefers to only transfer 1 embryo. If we only had 2 poorer quality embryos she said she would consider transfering 2 at that point but we would need to have a discussion about the risks.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS
The nursing staff [at the Cleveland Clinic] was wonderful! They went above and beyond to make everything easier for me. The nurses explained everything to me during ultrasounds, bloodwork, etc...Monitoring appointments were always scheduled in the morning so that all results were in by the lunch meeting that all doctors/nurses would discuss each case and determine course of action. I would always get a call in the afternoon with updates and information.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
All retrievals and transfers are done at the Beachwood location. The doctors/nurses meet as a team and divide your case together each day to ensure that you are receiving the best course for your treatment. They contact you after every ultrasound, bloodwork to tell you the updated treatment plan including when to start/stop meds, etc.
He took time to listen to my list of questions and explain everything to me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
The nursing staff was wonderful! They went above and beyond to make everything easier for me. The nurses explained everything to me during ultrasounds, bloodwork, etc.
He was very nice and listened to all of my questions and concerns. He was willing to try other more conservative methods before IVF. He answered my emails promptly. He allowed me to use eastern medicinal practice along with treatment.
Have a list of questions and concerns when going to appointments, do research to know what is the best course of action for you I cling what you and your partner are ready and willing to try (i.e.: clomid vs IUI vs IVF). Always ask questions and for him to explain everything so you can understand.
Femara after I changed around my diet and vitamins based on my own research. After a miscarriage (first under his care) he suggested IVF with a freeze-all cycle and PGS testing. He felt that the miscarriages weren't by chance and was hopeful that the additional testing would give us answers and the best/healthiest embryos for transfer. He wanted to do a freeze-all cycle due to PCOS and to allow my body a break before transfer.
Medicine, procedures, freezing embryos, monitoring embryo growth, PGS testing, transfer, monitoring, bloodwork
He suggested eSET due to my ease at becoming pregnant with the use of Clomid or Femara. He was hopeful that I would become pregnant and stay pregnant with one vs. multiple embryos. He also explained to me the risks associated with multiple embryos.
Cleveland
I loved Sally [nurse at Cleveland Clinic]. She is very thorough and spent time making sure I completely understood the plan. I knew that if I called her, she would always call me back. I drove up from 2 hours away and every time i was there, she offered me something to drink for the ride home and told me to have a safe trip back. Sally truly cared about me and my treatment.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
I think just to start, when I called to make my appointment, I think they offered one within one week; I expected to wait much longer. Cleveland Clinic at Beachwood was easy to find and it was also easy to park. The waiting room was spacious and had a television screen with information about IVF as well as pictures of success stories. The area where procedures were completed was like a mini hospital floor. The nurses there were very kind and I never questioned their knowledge or experience. Everything was kept very clean, which was not what I had experienced before. For me, I was just impressed that they sedated me for the egg retrieval (I had been wide awake at the other clinic I went to and that was terrifying). At the embryo transfer, my husband had to put on scrubs and I needed to be in a gown-- both of us needed to cover our feet and hair as well. The lab technicians were also professional and knowledgeable.
Dr. Austin was always very responsive to my e-mails and phone calls. After my first failed IVF with Dr. Austin (2 embryos transferred, neither were successful), I met with her and she appeared truly disappointed and sympathetic to my concerns and devastation. Dr. Austin answered my questions and concerns clearly and did not give me false hope, but she was always kind and sensitive to my feelings. She truly was amazing.
I loved Sally. She is very thorough and spent time making sure I completely understood the plan. I knew that if I called her, she would always call me back. I drove up from 2 hours away and every time i was there, she offered me something to drink for the ride home and told me to have a safe trip back. Sally truly cared about me and my treatment.
When I met with Dr. Austin, I was very frustrated with my other treatments at a different clinic. I had many questions regarding the failure of that clinic and the possibility for success at Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Austin never promised anything and never said anything against the former clinic. At my first visit, she was kind, but very professional. (I am sure that physicians are extra cautious when they are meeting with someone who was upset with a former clinic-- as they do not know if being frustrated is warranted). However, as my treatments progressed, Dr. Austin became so much warmer and appeared personally invested. She never gave me false hope, but also listened to my concerns, explained treatment options and allowed my husband and I to determine what was best for us based on those options. Even after my first failed IVF, I felt confident that even if the treatments did not work for us, we had done everything possible.
I think that when I first met Dr. Austin, I felt that she was professionally kind, but not warm. However, after my first meeting with her, this changed and she became much warmer. I would not worry if at first Dr. Austin does not appear as warm.
My first treatment involved doing injectibles (I believe Gonal-F and Menopur and Ganirelix--this was used briefly). The goal of this was to increase the number of eggs, but I only had 4 eggs and 3 were retrieved, I believe. My second cycle I think they called the Antagonist-Agonist cycle and it began with Lupron the cycle before my IVF cycle. I then used Gonal-F, Menopur and Ganirelix. I was told this is not used as frequently and is not a plan that 'makes sense' on paper, but they have used this almost as a last effort to increase the number of embryos and had good success with patients who have not had success with other treatments. With this cycle, I had 6 eggs and 4 retrieved-- 3 were mature and fertilized. Following each egg retrieval, I used an estrogen patch and progesterone.
I do not remember the costs
2012 - 2018
The nurses were all excellent but at this practice [Cleveland Clinic], know that you’ll be dealing with nurses (not your doctor) 95% of the time....Financially disorganized. Example - I paid for an embryo transfer in full yet the clinic still sent it out to a collections agency! Also, stay with the same nurse and ultrasound tech so they can have a consistent history....Very hard to get into touch with Dr. Flyckt even though she was my doctor.
2012 - 2018
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Very hard to get into touch with Dr. Flyckt even though she was my doctor. I often got pushed off to nurses or other doctors unfamiliar with my case.
The nurses were all excellent but at this practice, know that you’ll be dealing with nurses (not your doctor) 95% of the time.
What specific things went wrong at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Dr. Flyckt was very kind and knowledgeable, but it seemed like she was too busy and away from the clinic too much. Far too many times I felt like she wasn’t making the decisions in my care while other doctors on the team who didn’t know me personally were acting for her. I wish she could have spent more time communicating and being committed to our treatment and success. I feel she genuinely cared yet was too out of reach when we really needed her.
Be a clear communicator. Get all of your questions answered the few times you see her or get her on the phone because they are few and far between.
Dr. Flyckt used some of the same protocols over and over while seemingly expecting different results. When we pressured her to change it up, we started seeing results.
$1000 IVF $5000 meds for IVF $500 per visit to Dr Flyckt $3000 per embryo transfer
Describe Rebecca Flyckt's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Doctor has strong preference on only transferring one embryo at a time.
Beachwood
[Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center is on a] Large hospital campus so it makes it a little hard to find parking and the correct building. I was always called early for my appointments and never had to wait more than 10 minutes. Doctor and nurses came into the room quickly.... [the nurses] Were very aware of how difficult this situation is and how hard it is to hear a diagnosis. Always compassionate. Talked on the phone often and always responded to my emails. Very patient and answered any questions I had.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Time was taken to answer all of my questions, even follow up questions on the phone after appointments. I never felt like my appointments were being rushed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Suzy and Mary)
Always gave plenty of detail about treatment options and cause of infertility, being endometriosis. Waited patiently while my husband and I thought through things during appointments to answer our questions. Spoke to me directly after surgery to explain how it went and what was found. He was always prepared and seemed to know exactly what was going on with us at each visit.
Have questions prepared before appointments.
Surgery for a septate uterus to remove septum to lower chances of miscarriage. During surgery, also performed laporoscopy and removed all endometriosis. 3 rounds of IUI with Clomid as I appear to be ovulating normally on my own, he didn't think anything stronger than clomid would be necessary.
One cycle of IUI was $495.00 includes procedure and sperm washing.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The only downside to working with Dr. Flyckt is having to deal with the billing department at the Cleveland Clinic. Their billing department is known to lose checks, misallocate payments, etc. Dealing with their department is a hassle but is worth it because I trust Dr. Flyckt and feel like she cares for me both as a person and as a patient.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Dr. Flyckt showed compassion and interest. She worked around my schedule. She was honest about my chances of pregnancy but talked in a kind way.
I haven't worked with the nurses much but I'm sure once my IVF cycle starts I will more. They have been responsive by email and phone.
I have met with Dr. Flyckt three times and have a lot of respect for her. She is honest, caring and open to her patient’s opinions. She was upfront about the fact that she thinks my chances for another pregnancy are slim. She admitted that she was not sure of which medication protocol would work best so she asked if she could present my case to the rest of her team for opinions. I don’t think many doctors would do that and I appreciate that she cares enough to ask for others’ opinions.
She is well respected and seems to treat every patient as important.
I will start IVF with her clinic next month. If that doesn't work she suggested donor eggs.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
[The nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center is] Very attentative. Always takes your phone call or calls you back if she is unavailable...Cleveland Clinic is one of a kind, you feel like you’re getting the best treatment. State of the art equipment (such as ultrasound equipment, labs, etc.). Beacheood is conveniently located and there’s a mall next door if you need to waste time between appointments/tests.
European, Other
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Goldberg at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Dr. Goldberg takes the time to explain everything and makes a specific plan for your needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Goldberg at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Dr. Goldberg takes the time to listen to your concerns and makes a plan specific to your goals. He also was able to adjust his schedule to accommodate a procedure I needed done (same day) because he knew I had a long drive home.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Goldberg at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
Have a realistic plan and time table and convey said time frame to Dr. Goldberg.
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Goldberg used in your cycles at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center and their degree of success.
First we tried provera cycles with intercouse at home. We then moved on to IUI with provera and trigger shots. The fourth IUI resulted in a positive pregnancy test, with a ectopic pregnancy. I had to have two rounds of methotrexate and I was monitored closely. Dr. Goldberg suggested we move on to IVF because of the risk of ectopic (I had two prior to this one).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Goldberg at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
I’ve seen three doctors before Dr. Goldberg and the costs are average for fertility treatments.
Describe Jeffrey Goldberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Dr. Goldberg’s approach is one embryo transfer at a time.
Jeffrey Goldberg
Beachwood
[The nurses at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center were] The best! Between all the calls and holding my hand, they were amazing... I seriously have nothing negative to say about them. They were so gentle and caring. Fertility treatments are so hard and emotional. They were always considerate even when I was an emotional mess! I was pregnant within 5 months of seeing them...He [Dr. Jeffrey Goldberg] knew I was very anxious to get pregnant. He offered us IUI right away.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
The Cleveland clinic fertility clinic is amazing. I seriously have nothing negative to say about them. They were so gentle and caring. Fertility treatments are so hard and emotional. They were always considerate even when I was an emotional mess! I was pregnant within 5 months of seeing them.
He treated me like family! Very caring and amazing!!
The best! Between all the calls and holding my hand, they were amazing
He knew I was very impatient. We were asked to try 6 IUI’s. After the 4th, I went back, frustrated and wanting to go straight to IVF. A month later, I was pregnant! And he was so gentle, caring and always gave me hope!!!
Trust him.
He knew I was very anxious to get pregnant. He offered us IUI right away. My very first cycle that was medicated, he did iui. Felt good to go in strong. I feel like he was the best for my type of personality. Everyone is anxious to get pregnant but I feel like he understood the most.
He and my nurse made it as cost efficient as they could for me.
They were very big on wanting me to only transfer one. But I wanted to do 2. They told me the risk and that they don’t recommend it but still let me do it because it’s what I wanted to do. I respect that they respected me. I felt in charge.
Jeffrey Goldberg
2011
18 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
She [Dr. Austin] treated us like family. [The nurse at Cleveland Clinic] was always reachable and willing and ready to help in any way she could. Very compassionate and caring.
2011
18 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
She was very thorough at our Consult and went over a detailed plan of care and all the possibilities that might come up and how to make the changes needed to make our cycle a successful one. He nurse was always reachable and compassionate. She came and spoke to me before my retrieval and was there to talk to us when it was finished.
She was always reachable and willing and ready to help in any way she could. Very compassionate and caring.
She was wonderful! She was very understanding and compassionate. She even pointed out mistakes that other Fertility MD had made and explained to us why they were not for us and how she could help us to get a successful cycle. She treated us like family. She was always available and if she could not speak with us she made sure that someone else was. She even called to tell us that she was not going to be able to do our Frozen transfer and told us who would and gave us her number to speak with her beforehand!
Enjoy the time you have with her. Ask questions.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
The clinic [Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] is in a big, crowded area. Parking is in a garage and it's tight in there. Inside, it's very modern and wait times are small. Everyone is friendly and respectful of your privacy. The hospital is clean and well-staffed... She [the nurse] called a few days later to make sure I was healing good. Also, she described my before and after care very clearly.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
The clinic is in a big, crowded area. Parking is in a garage and it's tight in there. Inside, it's very modern and wait times are small. Everyone is friendly and respectful of your privacy. The hospital is clean and well-staffed.
I was able to describe my situation and problems. He remembered them when we talked again.
She called a few days later to make sure I was healing good. Also, she described my before and after care very clearly.
He described everything clearly and let me know what to expect over the next few months. When I described my symptoms, he listened to each one. He gave me a few months and told me realistically what my chances were for each one. He even showed me previous results and % numbers.
Bring questions and ask away!
I had a laparoscopy surgery to check for endometriosis.
Covered by insurance for the most part.
2013 - 2018
IVF, Donor Eggs
One of the best in the country, but it [Cleveland Clinic-Beachwood] is a big hospital. Be prepared for scheduling out on appointments and sometimes needing to do follow-up. Billing is a headache, so watch that as well, stay on top of the claims from your insurance.... Spent a lot of time following up with the nursing staff, felt that the organization was lacking slightly.
2013 - 2018
IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
One of the best in the country, but it is a big hospital. Be prepared for scheduling out on appointments and sometimes needing to do follow-up. Billing is a headache, so watch that as well, stay on top of the claims from your insurance.
We were never rushed, she was always available to answer questions/ concerns whether via email, phone, or in person. Dr. Flyckt truly cares about her patients.
Incredible doctor, truly one of the best at the Cleveland Clinic. Compassionate but realistic, she made a difficult process easier. I recommend her to everyone I encounter who suffers from infertility - she's that good.
Know that you are in very good hands. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
2013 - 2017
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
The clinic [Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] is organized and the staff are friendly and helpful. I always felt comfortable calling and asking questions and going to appointments. I always trusted their decisions and rationale and found that they were very compassionate and caring about me as a patient.... They were compassionate, caring, and helpful. They were always available for questions!
2013 - 2017
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
The clinic is organized and the staff are friendly and helpful. I always felt comfortable calling and asking questions and going to appointments. I always trusted their decisions and rationale and found that they were very compassionate and caring about me as a patient.
Dr. Tan and her partners along with the nurses were always very helpful and kind and made my husband and I feel comfortable. They were available for questions and made the process as easy as it could be
Dr. Tan explained everything clearly and made us feel comfortable and cared for. She was knowledgeable and kind. When I had an ectopic pregnancy she dropped her schedule and immediately scheduled surgery which she performed. She personally called to let us know an IVF cycle resulted in a negative test and was available for questions.
She’s awesome! No advice here!
11-12,000 for a complete cycle
2013 - 2015
IUI [at Cleveland Clinic] is around $300 IVF is around $10,000 Both costs are without medication..She [the nurse] made sure I was taken care of both while in the office and at home, with all questions answered, everything understood, and was very kind...I like that it is a smaller facility for easy accessibility. The receptionists are very friendly. They don't do ultrasounds based on who arrived first however. If more than one person arrives at the same time, it's whomever's file gets picked up first.
2013 - 2015
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
She emailed me directly back and forth when I had questions. She understood my concerns and was very direct in a way I could understand.
She made sure I was taken care of both while in the office and at home, with all questions answered, everything understood, and was very kind.
Dr. Austin is extremely knowledgeable in her field. She takes the time to explain not only what the steps will be, but what is happening in the body, with diagrams and all. She listens to concerns, emails back and forth, and has a calming demeanor. She is trustworthy and you know she is capable in her field.
Know the time commitment it will take, especially if not local.
IUI is around $300 IVF is around $10,000 Both costs are without medication
Dr. Austin stated that they don't typically do more than 2 embryos transferred per cycle.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
The nurses [at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] were awesome. Everyone was helpful, called me back quickly, provided answers to every question, reassured us along the way....We really only met with Dr Austin twice, so much of my review is meant for the Clinic in general. But Dr Austin was extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. We felt very comfortable with her and her experience....Great success rates for IVF. A little more expensive than other ones, but worth it.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
While we did not work with Dr Austin all that much, we were assigned to a nurse and she was almost always available to take our calls and questions. Or she would call us back in a short time period. She walked us through every step.
The nurses were awesome. Everyone was helpful, called me back quickly, provided answers to every question, reassured us along the way.
Have all your questions written down and ready to ask... The first consultation is overwhelming.
About $17,000
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Results for my tests were posted through Mychart but I never received a call from the office. I had to call them and didn't speak to someone for three days. All I wanted was someone to explain the results to me...$300 out of pocket for blood work and Dr. Time...Appointments were fairly easy to get.
Describe your experience with Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Appointments were fairly easy to get.
Student came in first - without asking me if I was ok will ring with a student. She came in at the very end and answered a few of my questions in a very vague fashion.
Factual
What specific things went wrong at Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center?
It may be too early to fully ealuate but I can tell you that I have worked with her nurses and students more than her. During all the interactions I did have she was vague and lacked compassion.
Don't be afraid to ask all questions.
She ordered tests that my previous physician had not, like the AMH SCREENING.
$300 out of pocket for blood work and Dr. Time.
Egg Freezing, IVF
She [Dr. Flyckt of Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center] is very kind and relate-able. She humanized a hard, complicated and emotional process.
Egg Freezing, IVF
She is very kind and relate-able. She humanized a hard, complicated and emotional process.