Coastal Fertility Medical Center

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
15500 Sand Canyon Avenue
Irvine, CA 92618
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Coastal Fertility Medical Center to a friend?
9.8
2 doctors
1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Coastal is decorated with pictures and gifts from past successful cases mostly referencing Dr. Werlins love for classic rock. They play music in the exam rooms and have a tv in the waiting room which is large and has comfortable seating. The staff is always helpful and smiling, the facility is very clean.... We love our nurse Joanne! I have felt very comfortable being able to ask her any questions or double check protocol if I’m confused. Jojo is always kind and we have a fun time joking around with her.
1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Medical Center.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lawrence Werlin at Coastal Fertility Medical Center?
The staff and Dr. Werlin could not be more warm and personable. My husband and I have always been greeted by name and made to feel like we were people and not just case numbers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Joanne )
How was your experience with Lawrence Werlin at Coastal Fertility Medical Center?
From the moment we attended the Coastal fertility seminar my husband and I both knew we had found our doctor. Dr. Werlin explained more information in that 30 minutes than we had gotten over our 3+ year journey. The little details like classic rock playing in the exam rooms and his infectious laugh you can hear from the waiting room all make you feel so much more comfortable. I have never hesitated to ask a question or felt like I wasn’t given the truth, both things I find important. Dr. Werlin is honest, trustworthy and most of all human. He understands the emotional side to these procedures and results and is always encouraging. Truly the best there is.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lawrence Werlin at Coastal Fertility Medical Center?
Attend the free seminar they host!
Describe the protocols Lawrence Werlin used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Medical Center and their degree of success.
2 weeks of birth control prior to stims for egg retrieval. Medicines used were Lupron, Menopur and Follistim followed by a pregnyl trigger. Successful egg retrieval with 29 follicles, 6 PGS tested normal embryos. Mock cycle: ERA biopsy and Lining checks. Medicine used Estradiol shots and Progesteron In oil shot. Successful mock cycle! Transfer: 2 weeks of birth control followed by estradiol shots, PIO, Medrol, Doxycicline and aspirin.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lawrence Werlin at Coastal Fertility Medical Center.
We paid out of pocket without insurance coverage. From start to finish including genetic testing and freezing we were quoted $26,600
Describe Lawrence Werlin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Medical Center.
Dr. Werlin only advises one embryo transfer. Originally we thought we would definitely have twins but when he explained the risks it was decided that due to my age and the health of the embryos a single transfer was in our best interest
4 IUI, IVF
The office [Coastal Fertility Med Ctr] is new, clean, inviting, warm (temperature) and plays Classic Rock. Everyone working there from the front desk staff to the Dr are inviting, knowledgeable, warm and caring. I really cannot think of an weaknesses except for the fact it is a little hard to get a hold of the nursing staff at times.... They shows compassion and empathy and I felt completely comfortable with Michelle Cobb my nursing coordinator.
4 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Medical Center.
The office is new, clean, inviting, warm (temperature) and plays Classic Rock. Everyone working there from the front desk staff to the Dr are inviting, knowledgeable, warm and caring. I really cannot think of an weaknesses except for the fact it is a little hard to get a hold of the nursing staff at times.
Dr. Werlin has an amazing bed side manner. He is warm, inviting, knowledgeable and explains everything he is planning through treatment. He is the only one that calls you with blood work and ultrasound results. The office plays Classic Rock music which is nice and the ultrasound rooms are kept warm and not freezing cold.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Cobb)
The entire nursing staff was caring, calming and communicated very well. They shows compassion and empathy and I felt completely comfortable with Michelle Cobb my nursing coordinator.
Dr Werlin was immediately warm and friendly from my consultation to my IUI. He is an amazing listener and always put my husband and my mind at ease and answered all question thoroughly and in a way that both of us could understand. He is goofy, loves classic rock, football and foremost his patients and his profession. You can tell he absolutely loves what he does and listens to what his patients ultimate goals are as well. He is honest and forthcoming with all information, good or bad, and shows sympathy if the news is bad. Overall, he is an amazing doctor that I absolutely trust and respect.
Come prepared with a notebook and any and all question you may have....
I called Dr Werlin on Day 1 of my cycle to set up an ultrasound on Day 2. After the ultrasound I was put on a BCP for 5 days. On Day 14 I stopped the BCP and started injectables: Lupron, Choriomon, Menopur & Gonal F. I cannot remember specifics but injectables were taken until Day 22. My injectable treatment was extended because my follicles were not growing as quickly as Dr. Werlin wanted them too. By Day 22 I was at 20cm and was instructed to inject the HCG medication. My retrieval was scheduled for Day 24 but after my ultrasound & bloodwork results came back on Day 23 the Dr decided to change my retrieval to an IUI because I only had 3 potential eggs. Very sad day it was. I had an IUI on Day 24 and Day 25 and was put on Progesterone. Unfortunately I started my period 10 days after my second IUI.
With the genetic testing on the embryos= about $25K.
We did not make it to this stage.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
They [nurses at Coastal Fertility Medical Center] answered all of my questions and returned any messages I left for them and I always felt very well cared for. They always had a smile on their face and a cheery disposition. They reassured me every step of the way and they cheered me on once I became pregnant. The staff is fantastic! Such an amazing team overall!...What I loved most was that everything was in one location. The lab, surgery center and Dr. Office.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Medical Center.
What I loved most was that everything was in one location. The lab, surgery center and Dr. Office.… Aleve made everything easier and I felt like I was in such great hands. I think a new patient would really feel welcome at this fertility clinic and they will feel that they are going to have the outcome they desire. The team as a whole is phenomenal and they work well together and they make patients feel like they are safe in their care and that everything will turn out well! They are cheerful and reassuring and they really make the patients feel like they are the most important aspect of this clinic!
He has the best sense of humor and he always made me feel like I was the only patient he was working with. He gave me his direct attention and he always called me directly with any results or anytime I have questions. He reassured me every step of the way and he thoroughly explained each and every procedure and he respected my thoughts and feelings. He made me laugh and he was there to Comfort me when I was crying. He never made me feel foolish for asking so many questions and he always gave me a sense that I could trust him completely and I was safe in his care. He is truly one of the most compassionate doctors I have ever met!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: JoJo)
All of the nurses and financial coordinator‘s and even the receptionist were very respectful and helpful and made me feel like I was the only patient. They answered all of my questions and returned any messages I left for them and I always felt very well cared for. They always had a smile on their face and a cheery disposition. They reassured me every step of the way and they cheered me on once I became pregnant. The staff is fantastic! Such an amazing team overall!
I really appreciated that he always took the time to answer my questions very thoroughly and he was exceptionally compassionate and he has a fantastic sense of humor. He always made me feel like I was his only patient that day and he reassured me every step of the way. During my treatment my youngest sister died unexpectedly from cancer and he was very empathetic and he even asked me if I wanted to take a break to allow myself to grieve. He gave me his condolences and I will always remember how kind he was to me during such a sad time in my life. I was unable to use my own embryos because of severe abnormalities and he called to give me the results while he was out of state on vacation and I thought that was very respectful. He could have easily had another staff person call me. I was sobbing on the phone and he was very patient and reassured me that we will explore every alternative. I began the journey of using donor eggs and he explained the process completely and he allowed me to ask as many questions as needed and to process my thoughts and feelings about the entire situation. He is one of the most compassionate doctors I have ever met and I have referred several people to him. I will forever be grateful to him for my little girl that I now have.
Trust him completely! He knows exactly what he is doing and he is not just trying to have you do all of these different treatments to make money.
I remember doing progesterone and estrogen and jackstands and I remember being on baby aspirin and I was on a steroid for a bit of time and I was on other injections when I was doing my retrieval. He monitor me closely and at one point I was getting my blood drawn daily for two weeks when I was preparing for my retrieval and then I was getting my blood drawn weekly during my first trimester of pregnancy to make sure that all of my hormone levels were appropriate. I always trusted his methods and It was successful. He is exceptionally knowledgeable and I had a good outcome. I did not have any negative side effects to any of the medication or injections that I was prescribed. He also did a mock transfer cycle and I believe that was crucial!
It was very expensive because I had to use donor eggs and donor sperm. So I had extra costs that not everyone has. I think my total treatment with everything was about $75,000. I had to also pay for medication and injections and my insurance did not cover any fertility treatment so everything was out of pocket for me.
He transferred to embryos and I ended up with a singleton pregnancy. I do not believe that he will transfer more than two embryos at one time because he wants you to have a healthy pregnancy. I had asked him about transferring more than two embryos and he thoroughly explained that it can be unsafe for the fetuses if you get pregnant with multiples and it was the best to only transferred to it a time. I respected and trusted his decision and now I have my beautiful daughter.
1 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
As a Dr he [Dr. Lawrence Werlin] is excellent. Takes time to meet and review and explain. Very compassionate. I wish he would have changed up my medicine or explained it more. The nurses are great but sometimes not very thorough and hard to stay in touch if their schedule changes. The wait in the am is minimal and for the most part on time. He has very nice new building and surgery center. It's his own so no sharing or crammed quarters.
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Other
1 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Medical Center.
Location and new building and surgery center are excellent. Very private and Dr werlin personally wheels you to your car after surgery upon waking up and excused to leave. I wish they explained that a catheter was used during retrieval because of irration after.
He is warm, caring, funny. He remembers your name and your spouse. He has nicknames for you. He plays the rolling stones and loves funky socks. A very great bedside manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Joanne)
Great staff but felt like ordering meds or getting answers were delayed or not explained clearly.
What specific things went wrong at Coastal Fertility Medical Center?
As a Dr he is excellent. Takes time to meet and review and explain. Very compassionate. I wish he would have changed up my medicine or explained it more. The nurses are great but sometimes not very thorough and hard to stay in touch if their schedule changes. The wait in the am is minimal and for the most part on time. He has very nice new building and surgery center. It's his own so no sharing or crammed quarters.
Ask questions be your own boss and follow up.
Lupron 20mg 3 days to start Menupor Folistim After ganirelix Occasionaly tried omnitrope growth hormone saw increased egg growth stimulation but in the end had poor egg quality.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Coastal Fertility Medical Center.
Early starting at 6-6:30am until 9am were set hours for monitoring. If it was very busy they had the RN nurse helping on ultrasounds. I never waited longer than 30 minutes very punctual. Pretty quick in and out
Apprx $12-15k first cycle then reduced by $5k each additional cycle They carried over balance if you started then stopped as we did.
2014 - 2017
Michelle [nurse at Coastal Fertility Medical Center] was fantastic. Always answered all my calls, explained everything and returned every phone call...No weaknesses. Again I can not recommend or rave about them enough... I couldn’t imagine going through this experience with anyone else. You can tell this is [Dr. Werlin's] passion and he does it so well and enjoys every moment...He made it personal! Have my husband a nickname and was ALWAYS happy to see us.
2014 - 2017
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Medical Center.
No weaknesses. Again I can not recommend or rave about them enough. I owe my entire sons being to them and the power of prayer. We drove an hour (with no traffic) to them every visit and it was so worth the early mornings, toll roads and all!
He made it personal! Have my husband a nickname and was ALWAYS happy to see us. Honestly the best experience of our lives.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Michelle was fantastic. Always answered all my calls, explained everything and returned every phone call.
He was the best Dr. I couldn’t imagine going through this experience with anyone else. You can tell this is his passion and he does it so well and enjoys every moment. He will not let you leave without a miracle in your arms.
Trust him.
I have PCOS and was 27 when we first saw him. We began the process with just progesterone and metformin. It didn’t work. He then suggested we try through ya regular OB because our insurance wasn’t going to cover any “infertility” treatments. So we went he OB route for 3 rounds of clomid. They didn’t work. We saved up some money, gave my body a year off all the drugs and went back to dr Werlin around my 30th birthday. We did our first round of IUI with gonal injections, metformin & progesterone and were pregnant!! Our son is now 6 months old and I can’t rave enough amount the care and compassion of dr Werlins office.
In total I believe our successful IUI cost is roughly $5k
2005 - 2012
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic [Coastal Fertility Medical Center-Irvine] always ran on schedule. I never had to wait more than a couple minutes in the waiting room for my appointment. The clinic had early hours so I was able to get my blood work and treatment done and still make it to work on time... The nursing staff was always kind, patient, skilled and knowledgeable.. We did cycles with clomid and injectables and IUI followed by progesterone, 1mg folic acid.
2005 - 2012
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Medical Center.
The clinic always ran on schedule. I never had to wait more than a couple minutes in the waiting room for my appointment. The clinic had early hours so I was able to get my blood work and treatment done and still make it to work on time
Dr Werlin always asked about other things happening in our lives besides out fertility issues.
The nursing staff was always kind, patient, skilled and knowledgeable
Dr Werlin is very approachable and easy to talk to. He takes what he does very seriously but doesn’t take himself too seriously. Even when when we didn’t get the news we were hoping for we always left the office feeling like everything will be ok.
Take the whole process one step at a time and try not too over think the “what if “
After the initial appointment to gather prior medical history Dr Werlin ordered blood work which was able to pinpoint some issues that needed to be addressed. We did cycles with clomid and injectables and IUI followed by progesterone, 1mg folic acid.
I don’t remember
2004 - 2011
We had a great experience with everything about the clinic [Coastal Fert Med Ctr], the staff, Dr. Werlin and the surgical procedures. Office and surgical center is conveniently located in Irvine....initially, the wait period to get in as a new patient took a couple of months; however, i kept calling asking if anyone had cancelled their appointment -- and, i was able to get in to the dr. much sooner than expected....Everyone on Dr. Werlin's staff was helpful, compassionate and professional.
2004 - 2011
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Medical Center.
We had a great experience with everything about the clinic, the staff, Dr. Werlin and the surgical procedures. Office and surgical center is conveniently located in Irvine. We highly recommend Dr. Werlin.
Dr. Werlin is very personable, relatable and well like by everyone.
Everyone on Dr. Werlin's staff was helpful, compassionate and professional.
Dr. Werlin was available for every office visit - which was several times each week and sometime on weekends. He walked us through every step of the way. We successfully had twin boys. As a result, we recommended Dr. Werlin to numerous friends and all were successful at having their own children. His success rate among the folks we referred him to is 100%. Highly recommend Dr. Werlin. Before meeting Dr. Werlin we were turned down by other doctors who thought we wouldn't be successful at having kids.
We recommend Dr. Werlin 100%. Initially, the wait period to get in as a new patient took a couple of months; however, i kept calling asking if anyone had cancelled their appointment -- and, i was able to get in to the dr. much sooner than expected.
We had 4 embryos inserted and successfully delivered twin, fraternal boys.
We would recommend multiple embryo transfer.
Irvine
The clinic [Coastal Fertility Medical Center] is state of the art. Nice and organized. Waiting is minimum 20 minutes to be seen at appointments.... I love all of the nurses at my clinic. They are also very compassionate and always get back to me right away.... Iui around $3000 IVF around $25000... I have always felt like part of the clinic family from Day 1. The nurses, staff and Dr Werlin are always friendly and caring.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Medical Center.
The clinic is state of the art. Nice and organized. Waiting is minimum 20 minutes to be seen at appointments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle )
Dr Werlin has the absolute best bedside manner. He is always compassionate and knowledgeable. I feel 100% comfortable under his care and my husband does too. Dr Werlin does every procedure, every ultrasound and even calls with all blood results.
Make sure you know exactly what your payments cover.
Iui around $3000 IVF around $25000
Irvine
Dr. Werlin was very hands on, compassionate, excellent bedside manners, positvie and energetic...Dr. Werlin and his staff are a positive and hands on group. I felt I was in goods hands and they had my best interest at heart....ivf $10K (includes retrieval, ICSI and Blast, pgs extra)
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Medical Center.
the minute you walk in, you can feel the positive energy
she was great about calling back and providing the steps necessary
Make sure you feel a connection with the doctor you see.
Individual approach is important because we all need different dosages and time.
ivf $10K (includes retrieval, ICSI and Blast, pgs extra,
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
We had good interactions with all the back office staff [at Coastal Fert Med Ctr]. We always knew what to expect...
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr Werlin always knew our names and was so welcoming and positive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Anne Chun )
We had good interactions with all the back office staff. We always knew what to expect.
I loved working with Dr Werlin. I loved that you always see him. He himself always calls with results when he says he will. Nothing worse than waiting all day for pregnancy test results....not with him!
Be open. This isn't plan A or even B I'm sure. No one wants to need fertility treatment. I think this was plan Z for us but we are finally expecting 2 miracles in a few months thanks to Dr Werlin and our amazing egg donor.
Over 30k including donor costs
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Werlin remained focus on what the human journey would be like in this situation and was very direct but was empathetic with all our initial needs....Be attentive of what Dr. Werlin suggests and info he gives so you can make an informed decision...Initially, we are observing that the nurses are compassionate and stick to what is paramount at the moment....[Coastal Fertility Medical Center is] very accessible and customer-friendly.
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Medical Center.
Very accessible and customer-friendly.
None used at this time since our treatment is still in progress.
Not yet sure as treatment is still in progress.
2012 - 2013
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
All staff and my assigned nurse [at Coastal Fertility Medical Center] were always very kind, personable, and if they didn't know an answer they always got it and would get back to me in a timely manner....Dr. Werlin remembered everything we ever talked about, and two years later he still does when we see him annually at his Miracle Baby Reunion.
2012 - 2013
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
All of the staff was very personable. Dr. Werlin remembered everything we ever talked about, and two years later he still does when we see him annually at his Miracle Baby Reunion.
All staff and my assigned nurse were always very kind, personable, and if they didn't know an answer they always got it and would get back to me in a timely manner.
I liked Dr. Werlin from the first meeting (he was the 3rd fertility dr I met with). He is very personable and he always called with all results, rather than an assistant or nurse calling. He seemed genuinely interested in our lives and was easy to get along with.
He knows what he is doing and is wonderful at his job- trust him and the guidance he provides to you.