Genetic counseling: Offered
843) 972-9444
1500 Medical Center Dr
Wilimington, NC 28401
910-763-9509
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Coastal Fertility Specialists to a friend?

3 doctors
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
I did a fresh transfer with IVF [with Coastal Fertility Specialists]. I did have to take extra days of Gonal F because my eggs didn't grow large enough as fast as expected. I did have a frozen transfer after miscarrying the first baby at 8 and half weeks. We did a D and C with Dr.Slowey. We did genetic testing and found nothing wrong there. We then prepares for a frozen transfer of my last 2 embryos...The nurses in the Lexington office were AMAZING. I remember crying on Heather's shoulder for what felt like forever when we lost our first at 8 and half weeks. She was there for every call and made sure I always knew what was going on. Ashley drew my blood and always spoke to me and remembered things specifically about me. The two made you feel like your were best friends or family.
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
My clinic was great. They were slightly expensive but about average for South Carolina. They had an office here that could do a lot of the procedures except the retrieval and D and C. That had to be done in Mt.Pleasant. the only downfall is they are very large so sometimes it was tough to get in with a doctor to get started but once you were in it was easy.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey always had time to answer my questions. He never rushed us through. He was very thorough in explaining what was going on and what we would do. He was straight forward, which I liked because I wanted to know the facts and not have a false hope or vision.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is incredibly knowledgeable and very thorough. He does talk quickly sometimes but will slow down when you ask. He never made me feel like I was bothering him asking questions or wanting to know more. He would talk me through everything he was doing or seeing. He explained every step of the way. He is straight forward and would try to be very compassionate but sometimes his straightforwardness could get in the way. I would definitely go back to Dr.Slowey. Even today after having my girl he is so happy to see us visit the clinic and talks about how things are going.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
If you need someone to hold your hand and talk sweet and soft to you this is not the doctor. If you want someone who is going to talk to give you the facts and be straightforward this is the doctor for you. Also never be afraid to ask questions! You are not bothering anyone when you do!
Describe the protocols Michael Slowey used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
I did a fresh transfer with IVF. I did have to take extra days of Gonal F because my eggs didn't grow large enough as fast as expected. I did have a frozen transfer after miscarrying the first baby at 8 and half weeks. We did a D and C with Dr.Slowey. We did genetic testing and found nothing wrong there. We then prepares for a frozen transfer of my last 2 embryos. I had a live, full term birth in May 2017. Dr. Slowey did say that if I chose to do IVF again he would change some of my protocol because of my lack of response to the medicine during this round. He didn't elaborate on that at the time of the visit. We have not been able to go back to do another round due to money.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
For my first consultation I believe the testing and all was around 200 dollars but insurance covered many of the blood tests. The IVF was 12,500. I spent 9500 for medicine. I had 800 in two procedures I had to be put under anesthesia but received some.of that back from insurance. My D and C was covered by insurance. The frozen transfer was 3000 but I was given medicine so I didn't not have to pay for those and I had a little left for insurance for that. All in all after 15000 in insurance we paid just under 18000 for everything, 2 transfers, all testing, monitoring, genetic testing and the D and C.
Describe Michael Slowey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
We discussed the concerns of doing two embryos but felt with my test results two was the best. He was very good about really looking and talking through this choice.
Mount Pleasant

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

The medical staff is outstanding, but like most offices the administrative staff has their weaknesses. We had a few billing hiccups that were frustrating, but eventually got taken care of. I believe the quality of embryologists makes a big difference in outcomes, and I believe the embryologists at Coastal [Fertility Specialists] are second to none. All of the nursing staff, ultrasound techs, etc. make a point to get to know you and make you feel at home.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The medical staff is outstanding, but like most offices the administrative staff has their weaknesses. We had a few billing hiccups that were frustrating, but eventually got taken care of. I believe the quality of embryologists makes a big difference in outcomes, and I believe the embryologists at Coastal are second to none. All of the nursing staff, ultrasound techs, etc. make a point to get to know you and make you feel at home.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Cook always spoke to us in a way that was easy to understand, and she always laid out all of our options in a nice, but direct way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
Becky was always very responsive and caring.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
We loved our experience with Dr. Cook and are so thankful she helped us conceive our miracle. After years of "unexplained infertility" it was a breath of fresh air to have a diagnosis within ten minutes of speaking to her, which she then confirmed via ultrasound.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Be direct about your wants/desires, she will listen.
Describe the protocols Heather Cook used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
I was diagnosed with Stage IV endometriosis, and as a result, Dr. Cook offered to skip IUI altogether and go straight to IVF. We weren't financially in a place to try IVF right off the bat, so we opted for two IUI cycles. After the first failed, she adjusted my meds to try and get even more eggs to mature, although it ended up being unsuccessful. We only had to go through one IVF cycle with her, and she was very direct about doing a frozen only cycle, as she believes it's better to allow your body some time to rest after being on all of the hormones for the retrieval. We opted against genetic testing, and transferred one day 5 embryo that was a 5-AA rating. Also, at the beginning of my initial treatment with her, she started me on CoQ10 to improve egg quality and we saw improvement between my initial ultrasound and my second ultrasound in the number of follicles available.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
IVF cost between 15,000 and 20,000; IUI was between 3000-5000
Describe Heather Cook's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Due to my age, she felt confident we would have good quality embryos and, therefore, only needed to transfer one at a time. Furthermore, she believed it would be difficult for me to carry multiples and did not want to run the risk of transferring more than one embryo and one of the embryos splitting.
Mount Pleasant

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

Coastal Fertility is excellent at what they do. Their facility and equipment are very up-to-date and maintained. They are always busy and handle the traffic well. They are organized and prompt with returning calls, messages. We have always had a smooth and enjoyable experience there. ... Coastal Fertility nurses are excellent. They are all busy at work and take great care of you.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Doctor Slowey is very smart and takes his job seriously. Soon as you consult with him, he is down to business. He wants to get to the issue and get to work. Sometimes this comes off too blunt, but we can appreciate him seriousness. He is always cordial.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ribeiro )
Coastal Fertility nurses are excellent. They are all busy at work and take great care of you. They always make us feel welcome and have a smile on their faces. We are always impressed with the atmosphere and their diligence.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Doctor Slowey knows his job and has done a lot of research himself about infertility. I completely trust his judgement on our treatments. He can be blunt, but wants you to have an honest, realistic opinion. He is always friendly and genuinely mannered.
Be prepared for worst case scenario. He is honest and wants you to be prepared. Ask questions and be understanding. He knows what’s best and is extremely knowledgeable.
Doctor Slowey started us off with a low dose for our first IUI treatment which I appreciate. If overdosed, your cycle is likely to be canceled. He upped that dosage for our second IUI cycle and had the clinic monitor us closer. The cycle was perfect, but didn’t work due to our unexplained infertility. He is now suggesting move straight to IVF for sake of time, money, and emotional state which we agree on.
Our insurance doesn’t cover any fertility fees. We have paid out of pocket for every single appointment. Their prices were competitive with our local OB. Appointments were to be paid in full as they were administered in Mt. Pleasant. If we had an appointment in Myrtle Beach we could pay it at our next Mt. Pleasant visit which was convenient for us.
He was very stern on single embryo transfer. He explained due to our young age, healthy records, and no past miscarriages. Transferring 2 embryos can lead to a risky/dangerous pregnancy.
Mount Pleasant

One of my biggest complaints is the amount of times they [Coastal Fertility Specialists] said something to us that was not accurate because they didn't bother to open my chart and read it. ... I really like the way monitoring is set up. It is every weekday morning between 7 and 9am, so it was very flexible. ... The billing department however, could use a major overhaul. I am constantly getting invoice in the mail that were paid months prior, at the time of service.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I love the girls that work at the front desk. They are super friendly and always joking about how they need to at least name a conference room after my husband and I because we are in there so much. I've even connected with a few of the ladies on instagram- again, these people become like family. I ADORE my ultrasound tech, Sharon. She is so precious, always upbeat and so loving. She is the greatest. The billing department however, could use a major overhaul. I am constantly getting invoice in the mail that were paid months prior, at the time of service. We call them very confused and they say "Oh, its an automated billing system" but it has been happening since we started going there in Early 2017.
In the beginning, we loved Coastal, but as the months dragged on, I think their patient volume increased exponentially. One of my biggest complaints is the amount of times they said something to us that was not accurate because they didn't bother to open my chart and read it. Sometimes it feels like they are trying to get as many scans, labs, and consultations done in one day to make the most amount of money.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Mollison)
I absolutely love my nurse, Kelly. We are in constant communication and over the last year and a half, she has become like family. She is always in a good mood, friendly, tries her best to say the right things to make us feel better about negative outcomes, and is very responsive to my emails.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I think Dr. Slowey is a brilliant man. So brilliant that he might ignore or dismiss simplistic items that could improve treatment results. I've had mixed interactions with him ranging from very cold and short to very compassionate. I care more about him getting me pregnant than his bedside manner. But I haven't gotten pregnant yet, so my patience is growing thin.
I would say expect to do things his way in the beginning. I had so many cycles cancelled because he wanted to stick to his protocol. So either be very up front in your initial consultation about wanting an individualized plan or be patient. The problem with being patient though, is that time, money, and precious embryos may be wasted in the process.
IVF 1: Stimming and egg retrieval went well. We got 3 PGS tested normal embryos. The first transfer was cancelled due to my lining not thickening up and we went to transfer (just barely- again, due to lining) the following cycle. This resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We had a consult with Dr. Slowey following that failed transfer and he gave us the option to have the ERA test done, which we decided to move forward with. The ERA revealed that I was pre receptive which indicated adjustments needed to be made for the following cycle. The second transfer failed, after another two cancelled cycles due to my poor lining. I expressed my concern that I felt the protocol I was on was not working for my body, but he wanted to stick with it. We surprisingly moved directly into our third and final transfer for that round (it was our last embryo) which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I felt so frustrated because I felt like my voice wasn't being heard and we ended up losing all of our precious embryos. In Dr. Slowey's defense, he was going off what the ERA told us and wanted to stick with the protocol that gave us that information. I understand that. IVF 2 & 3: My husband and I met with Dr. Slowey after our final failed transfer to discuss next steps. I was very clear in that consultation that I would not do another round of IVF if it entailed the same thing we did for nearly a year. He completely agreed and apologized profusely for all the time and heartache we wasted in the process. I think perhaps his experience with me as a patient has given him a new perspective on what might work for some, doesn't work for all. We decided to batch our second and third rounds because of my age and so that we could get more embryos to work with. We ended up with a combined 9 embryos, which were PGS tested, and only 5 were normal. Dr. Slowey tried a brand new protocol for my frozen transfer prep which entailed completely different medication than the previous 3 transfers. My lining seemed to respond much better right away! We just had our fourth frozen transfer three days ago, so I'm currently in my "two week wait" to see if this new protocol worked for me or not.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Our first round was approximately $10,000, which included insurance assistance. Medication was an additional $1,700, PGS testing was an additional $3,250 and we were charged a "cycle management fee" of $900 per cycle (including all the cycles that were cancelled). Plus $400/yr for embryo storage (which we had to pay right before we lost our last embryo- so messed up). For the second and third round, we did the Attain program which cost $23,000 up front (which covered two egg retrievals, ICSI, embryology, and all frozen transfers), medication was paid for out of pocket for approximately $4,000, PGS testing was $3,250. Monitoring was not included in our Attain program, which was another $2,000-$3,000. Embryo storage $400/yr.
My doctor is adamant about transferring a single embryo when is PGS tested normal because it has a greater chance of splitting. Multiple pregnancies have a higher risk of preterm labor, and other health complications for the mother, and more health risks for the babies.
Mount Pleasant

The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] was clean and comfortable, and all of the staff was very friendly. It didn't feel sterile like a doctors office. It was nice to be able to meet with your nurse to go over your medical plan and then go to the next office to go over your financial plan. Thw financial coordinator worked with the billing department to answer all my questions.... The costs were similar to the other clinics in the area. Monitoring $2327. Case management/retrievel $4630. Embryology $4590. Transfer $3101.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic was clean and comfortable, and all of the staff was very friendly. It didn't feel sterile like a doctors office. It was nice to be able to meet with your nurse to go over your medical plan and then go to the next office to go over your financial plan. Thw financial coordinator worked with the billing department to answer all my questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr was very compassionate and confident that he could help me. He does what is best for his patients instead of batching then like other doctors. He answered all of my questions candidly. He was going to be on vacation the day of my egg retrieval, and he called me personally a few days ahead of time to let me know that he wouldn't be there. He talked about my how my cycle was going and told me about the doctor who would be doing the retrieval. Dr. Schnorr always called me personally with my PGD results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jan Missledine)
My nurse was quick to make my schedule, call in refills on medication, and send me orders to have blood drawn at my local hospital instead of LabCorp.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr is so kind and compassionate. I saw him for a second opinion, and my husband and I were so impressed that we started a cycle with him less than a week later. He read my record and clearly explained why he believed my first cycle at another clinic failed. He explained what he would do differently and took all of my feelings into account when he made my protocol.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Don't hesitate to see Dr. Schnorr! I would recommend doing your initial consultation at the main office, even if your monitoring will be at a satellite office.
Describe the protocols John Schnorr used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
I had previously done a microdose lupron flare protocol with another doctor. I ended up with OHSS and all PGD abnormal embryos. Dr. Schnorr changed my protocol and had me use an LH trigger. I didn't get sick, and all of my embryos tested normal. He also liked to wait an extra day for the eggs to have more time to mature.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Describe John Schnorr's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
My doctor recommended not doing PGD testing and transferring two embryos. I really wanted the PGD, and when rgey tested normal, he put only one in.
Mount Pleasant

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

The clinic itself [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is clean, efficiently ran from what I can tell, and has good success rates. I've had good experiences overall. The only weaknesses I've experienced are the ones already described....Communication with patient concerns could use improvement. The billing needs to be linked between the different offices better. Had a small issue with billing, but did get it resolved with a phone call.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic itself is clean, efficiently ran from what I can tell, and has good success rates. I've had good experiences overall. The only weaknesses I've experienced are the ones already described. Communication with patient concerns could use improvement. The billing needs to be linked between the different offices better. Had a small issue with billing, but did get it resolved with a phone call. However, I caution new patients to pay attention to your bill, and make sure you aren't getting charged for tests or procedures you didn't actually have.
I feel she has not individualized my care. I feel she has not tried to be very aggressive with getting me pregnant. As if she feels I'm hopeless due to my age and weight and has not dug deeper into why it might not be working.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky Welch)
My primary nurse was not always good about returning emails or phone calls. She started out great but soon after I constantly had to call again or email again to get answers. She was always nice when I did talk to her, though. Nurses and ultrasound tech at the monitoring office I went to (Columbia office) were excellent. Also, when I had to speak to another nurse when my primary nurse was away, they were always great as well.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I feel as if she hasn't taken individual circumstances into consideration. I feel like she's not attempting to dig deeper into why I'm not conceiving. I don't feel like she really cares if I get pregnant and maintain pregnancy. I've brought up health concerns she doesn't feel the need to address. I feel more as if I'm just a way to get more money, via IVF. She hasn't been all bad though, she is nice enough and returns calls when asked. But I just don't feel as if she is "in my corner" on my conceiving and maintaining a pregnancy to a live birth.
Give her a try but if you're not 100% comfortable then find someone who will be a good fit for you
Letrozole cycle and a gonal-f cycle to encourage follicle growth. Trigger shot (Ovidrel) to induce ovulation prior to IUI. Both were unsuccessful.
It's expensive, but probably only slightly more than average. IUI itself was $650, but that doesn't include meds, ultrasounds, labs, or donor sperm. It was slightly less expensive at another clinic.
Mount Pleasant

The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is organized and well-run. I have never waited more than 10 minutes for my appointments. It is clean, quiet and the staff get along well (or at least they appear to do so). There is a financial consultant on staff to help with financial concerns as well.... The nurses are the best part of this facility.... Close to $40k for 8 rounds of Clomid, 1 IUI, and 2 rounds of IVF under the Atain insurance program (including monitoring and meds)
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is organized and well-run. I have never waited more than 10 minutes for my appointments. It is clean, quiet and the staff get along well (or at least they appear to do so). There is a financial consultant on staff to help with financial concerns as well.
I like that Dr. Slowey is very matter of fact. But his one-on-one meetings sound rehearsed rather than personalized. Once we got to the very end of the meeting before he realized he had the wrong person's information page up on his computer. There is very little interaction with him -initial consult and after treatment failures are the only time you will talk to him. There is no effort made to let you know if he will not be the one there to perform your procedure himself. Out of all the procedures I've had done, he only has done one of them himself - otherwise, I've seen the other doctors from the practice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison)
The nurses are the best part of this facility.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I always came away with the impression that Dr. Slowey is extremely knowledgeable in the field of fertility. I trust him with my care. I like that he is conservative in his approach and very well-informed. But the level of personalized care you receive from him leaves a lot to be desired. You rarely see or talk to him, and when you do, it is rushed and seems like he is rushing through your allotted time so he can move along to the next thing he has to do that day.
If you are looking for personalized, in-depth conversations and emotional guidance during your fertility treatment , this is probably not the right doctor for you. If you are more interested in no-nonsense, get-to-the point, knowledge and protocol-centered experience, then Dr. Slowey is a good choice.
Dr. Slowey is very conservative. He will suggest single transfer unless you have unique circumstances.
Mount Pleasant

My care coordinator [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] is Nurse Kelly and she has been awesome so far. In clinic she was able to answe every question we had or she was able to find an answer before we left the clinic. She helped us find the cheapest way to get our lab work done. She has replied back to every annoying email I have sent her while we wait and has emailed all of our lab orders to us the day we requested since we live two hours away. The nursing staff at our appointment was also amazing. Everyone made us feel very comfortable during a very vulnerable time.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
As a new patient myself, only having one in clinic visit so far, I only have great things to say. Check in was easy and quick, we were called back within ten minutes of arriving, we never felt uncomfortable. The doctor and clinic were generous enough to waive the freeze fee for us since it was an unexpected decision. I truly have nothing negative to say so far, I hope it stays that way!
Dr. Slowey was pretty blunt with us to begin with and at first we felt like a number. He didn’t seem to show much empathy of the fact that we wanted to try IUI but it just wasn’t an option according to their clinic. Once we got my husbands semen analysis back and Dr.Slowey saw the drastic decline in numbers and the instant heartbreak his attitude changed. He began to bond with us on a personal level and once we said we would have to pass on IVF because it was out of our price range, he immediately made the decision to freeze my husbands sperm and waived the fee to freeze it. He also waived another fee for one of the tests for us. We realized then that we were not just another number to him, but two people he felt like he can help.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly)
My care coordinator is Nurse Kelly and she has been awesome so far. In clinic she was able to answe every question we had or she was able to find an answer before we left the clinic. She helped us find the cheapest way to get our lab work done. She has replied back to every annoying email I have sent her while we wait and has emailed all of our lab orders to us the day we requested since we live two hours away. The nursing staff at our appointment was also amazing. Everyone made us feel very comfortable during a very vulnerable time.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
At first Dr. Slowey did not seem to show much empathy but as our appointment went on and the discussion of not being able to afford IVF came up how personality shifted. He showed compassion and explained that he knew what it felt like to be in our position. He seems To be incredibly knowledgeable and was able to answer every question we had. Although we have only had one appointment thus far, we are looking forward to our appointments in April and hopefully starting the IVF process then as well. Dr. Slowey made us genuinely feel as though he wanted us to start our family as much as we do ourselves.
If male factor infertility (what our case is), be patient. Dr. Slowey will not start the IVF process until both male and female have had labs done, male has had genetic testing done and has gone to see the urology specialist recommended by Dr. Slowey. Very frustrating wait but I can appreciate covering all of the bases.
Initial visit, intrauterine ultrasound, semen analysis, all lab work, all covered by insurance. $400 for anesthesia for egg retrieval. Approx $11,800 for ivf with ICSI. $3,250 for embryo biopsy and PGD/PGS testing. We do not have a cost for medications yet as we are still awaiting for other test results.
North Charleston

6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Ask questions and do research on your own about coverage and finances. I don’t think the staff [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is educated on financial options and coverage because I got most of my financial tips from the doctor. Most of the staff is kind and welcoming. One of my interim nurses wore flip flops in the office which really annoyed me.... They did forget to put me on the schedule multiple times for monitoring but they always fit me in and my biggest issue was my paperwork was given to someone else and I got hers with all her personal information and insurance information.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Ask questions and do research on your own about coverage and finances. I don’t think the staff is educated on financial options and coverage because I got most of my financial tips from the doctor. Most of the staff is kind and welcoming. One of my interim nurses wore flip flops in the office which really annoyed me.
He definitely has a very pragmatic approach and is encouraging.
I had my regular nurse but she was on leave when I went through the process and felt very tossed around wit the nurses. There was a ton of miscommunication that I finally had to ask to speak only to dr schnoor about my protocols. There is a nurse who would do my u/s and she was amazing. Very encouraging and thoughtful. I felt like a team with her. When my other nurse returned she was there for retrieval but she made me feel like a burden.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is very detailed and thorough. He doesn’t over promise but remains very positive. He was there every step of the way and really made sure I knew the whole process. He would follow up with me personally and I never felt rushed with him. He also tries to be financially respectful.
Do research and bring questions. I think regardless of who you see it is very important to ask questions and don’t be afraid to ask about failed cycles and finances. We typically don’t like to discuss but it is a big investment and he understands that.
I did 6 unmedicated iuis to reduce risk of multiples. Then I moved to ivf. I did retrieval one year ago transfer the next year. When I was on my retrieval protocol I was started on a very low dose and had to quickly change as I was not responding. I used low dose hcg in the morning and then added gonal f a few days in in the evening and then ganirelix to prevent early ovulation. I did this for about 17 days before getting my ovidrel shot to get my eggs retrieved. Because I’m petite I think he was worried about ohhs but I needed larger doses as I was not responding.
It was fairly organized. A few hiccups but overall easy.
I have probably spent 30k overall. With storage, iuis, appointments, procedures etc
Because I’m single it was recommended that I do 1 transfer.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Other
The clinic itself [Coastal Fertility Specialists- Mount Pleasant] is set up like a day spa. The staff is extremely nice and accommodating. The whole experience is wonderful. The Charleston office is bigger than the Lexington office. I prefer the Lexington office.... Cherub Hutto is very knowledgeable and helpful. Easily reachable. She can be a little dry at times.... It’s a little pricey. For our one FET cycle, it’s almost 15 thousand dollars. This does not include medications, ERA biopsy, or PGS testing.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic itself is set up like a day spa. The staff is extremely nice and accommodating. The whole experience is wonderful. The Charleston office is bigger than the Lexington office. I prefer the Lexington office.
She is the most patient, empathetic doctor I’ve been to. Makes all the difference when you’re going through something as difficult as infertility/recurrent pregnancy loss. Her confidence gives ME confidence that it will happen for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Cherub Hutto)
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She’s empathetic, extremely intelligent, confident, and gentle. I couldn’t ask for a better RE. I have experienced 6 losses, have had 4 surgeries and 3 D&C’s, and have gone through infertility for 3 years. My previous RE was less than ideal. I have no doubt in my mind that she will give us our baby. Zero.
Ask as many questions as you want to. She will listen and answer for as long as it takes for you to leave feeling knowledgeable and comfortable.
Blood work to rule out other causes of miscarriage. Saline infusion sonogram and HSG- was diagnosed with one blocked tube. Hysteroscopy- diagnosed with Asherman’s syndrome post-uterine septum removal. IUI- failed. Another hysteroscopy to check for scarring- no scarring but she removed a little more septum. Am currently in the process of taking stim meds for IVF.
Dr Cook strongly believes in only transferring one embryo unless she and medical history dictate it to be completely necessary to transfer two.
Mount Pleasant

The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is modern, clean, and comfortable. The staff is attentive, courteous, and do their best to move your appointment along, answer any questions, and make you feel welcomed. The only thing I don't like is the terrible waiting room music - 70s light rock.... My Care Coordinator and the nursing staff are all extremely kind and sweet, and very, very compassionate. Most of them experienced some kind of infertility themselves, and have empathy and understanding of what I'm going through.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is modern, clean, and comfortable. The staff is attentive, courteous, and do their best to move your appointment along, answer any questions, and make you feel welcomed. The only thing I don't like is the terrible waiting room music - 70s light rock.
Dr. Schnorr explains everything in great detail. Each time we have an appointment to see him, we have to wait longer than we should...and he talks really fast like he's trying to fit it all in, but also end the appointment quickly so he can get back on schedule.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Andrea Hall )
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr is an excellent, knowledgeable doctor. He explains everything in great detail, and will ask for questions multiple times. He does talk a bit fast though, I always feel rushed at our appointments. When I had some tests done (a dye test of my ovaries and fallopian tubes), he was very kind and made me as comfortable as possible. He is a very upbeat, a straight-shooter, and down to earth.
Don't let him rush you; ask all the questions you need to make sure you understand.
I was prescribed Gonal F injections, as well as an oral mediation to help promote ovulation (I can't remember the name). My right ovary needs more shots to respond than my left, so dosages are different, depending on which side I'm ovulating from. I would take a trigger shot when it was time to ovulate, and then we'd perform the IUI, with progesterone vaginal inserts to promote implantation. My first IUI resulted in my son in 2016. I naturally conceived in 2017, but it was ectopic and miscarried naturally. I went back to Dr. Schnorr, and we have started IUI treatments (the same course as before) with no success. We are about to begin our 3rd cycle.
Testing: bloodwork, thyroid, hormone levels, fallopian tube dye test, sperm count and motility, vaginal ultrasound - approximately $3500 and I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility. My IUIs (meds and insemination) cost between $1000 and $1500, depending on which ovary is active that cycle.

Anovulation, Other
They [Coastal Fertility Specialists] are very busy a ... I have nothing bad to say about the clinic, the financial advisor was straightforward and helpful and everyone on the admin staff and nursing staff was amazing. ... The nursing staff were all compassionate, responsive, organized, and supportive. I felt like they were all on my team and really cared about my outcome of treatment.
Anovulation, Other
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They are very busy and sometimes I felt that my doctor wasn't especially invested in my case but other than that I have nothing bad to say about the clinic, the financial advisor was straightforward and helpful and everyone on the admin staff and nursing staff was amazing.
At times doctor Schnorr seemed rushed when talking with me and did not elaborate or go into as much detail as I would have liked about my underlying cause of infertility and all of my options. My nurse Jessica was always very responsive to all of my questions and compassionate in the way she helped me throughout the process. Dr. Schnorr was always supportive and gentle in his communication with us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jessica wilkerson )
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr seemed to explain information as he would to someone with absolutely no knowledge of fertility or biology. This makes sense for many patients but I felt frustrated by it at times because I came in with a good amount of knowledge and understanding of fertility and wanted more information. He was always very gentle in his communication with us and listened to my desire for bypassing less effective approaches like reducing exercise and stress and waiting a year or two. At times between cycles I had questions the nurse wasn't sure about and Dr. Schnorr called me himself and I liked that he was willing to give that personal attention to my concerns.
Ask questions and ask about ALL of your options, he can be aggressive in the treatment approach and may not provide information that he doesn't think you will understand.
The first two IUI cycles was femara with gonal f injections with IUI and the third was injectables only (gonal f) with IUI. I am currently doing injections for my fourth IUI before moving to IVF. My understanding is that this is his approach due to my anovulation stemming from hypothalamic issues.
I have state health insurance with a lifetime maximum of 15,000 the first two IUI cycles we paid about $1,000 out of pocket and the third and fourth closer to $1,500. At this time we have used over $7,000 of our lifetime maximum.
I wish now that he would have started with femara or clomid only with timed intercourse to reserve our insurance lifetime maximum.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Everyone in the [Coastal Fertility Specialists] office was very caring. Even though we live more than 2 hours away, they answered all the questions every time I called if I wasn’t sure of the process. They were also very efficient and thorough...is a top notch facility. Going through the fertility checks can be awkward, but they made us feel very at ease and were very reassuring. The staff and doctors are some of the kindest and most compassionate I have ever seen.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Coastal Fertility is a top notch facility. Going through the fertility checks can be awkward, but they made us feel very at ease and were very reassuring. The staff and doctors are some of the kindest and most compassionate I have ever seen.
I am 40 years old and have never had children. I have been trying for years and decided to consult with Coastal Fertility and was happily greeted by a wonderful staff in the front office, and during our consult I expected to be rushed like most doctors do to get to the next patient, but I was pleasantly surprised that my husband and I sat down and was explained everything thoroughly and was given time to ask any questions and had Dr. Slowey undivided attention. We felt like we were his only patient!
Everyone in the office was very caring. Even though we live more than 2 hours away, they answered all the questions every time I called if I wasn’t sure of the process. They were also very efficient and thorough.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey was very compassionate, but honest with his answers to all of our questions and concerns. When all seemed hopeless, he was reassuring about our struggle with infertility.He was very thorough and caring.
Ask any questions and about any concerns, he will take the time, no matter how long it takes, to explain everything.
My husband and I went to Coastal for a consultation and had a follow up for checkup but have yet to complete the process due to the financial cost. We due not qualify for the infertility coverage our insurance offers due to the fact that my husband had a vasectomy during his first marriage. We saved up $7500.00 to have a reversal done in 2016 but it did not work out. We are waiting to complete the process in the future when we can cover the cost of IVF out of pocket. We are looking forward to eventually continuing with Coastal Fertility and Dr. Slowey in the future.
Mount Pleasant

they [the staff at Coastal Fertility Specialists] were knowledgeable, compassionate, and I felt that they really wanted to see us succeed. We didn't have any reasons for our losses, and progesterone suppositories seemed to do the trick for us, so we didn't have to undergo extensive treatments here. But we were happy with our experience...She [nurse] was great, answered my questions, and didn't make me feel crazy for asking a lot of questions.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Just like with any doctor/physician be your own advocate still - but they were knowledgeable, compassionate, and I felt that they really wanted to see us succeed. We didn't have any reasons for our losses, and progesterone suppositories seemed to do the trick for us, so we didn't have to undergo extensive treatments here. But we were happy with our experience.
She took time to talk to me, got me the tests I needed quickly, and called me herself when we got a positive pregnancy test with a high HCG. I felt like they really wanted me to succeed and knew how much it meant to me/my husband.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky Welch )
She was great, answered my questions, and didn't make me feel crazy for asking a lot of questions.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I thought she was very competent and compassionate. She told me the tests they do for RPL, we did those as quick as we could, and got the results back with really no explanation as to why I had the two miscarriages. I had read about low progesterone could cause it which was something we weren't really able to test, and asked it I could take that while trying. She allowed me to, and wanted me to start at ovulation. I did this and was pregnant the second month with the baby I'm carrying now. We are halfway through! I would say her just ruling out what could be wrong was great for my confidence. She was very knowledgeable.
Continue to be your own advocate and read, ask questions, but know she is on your side!
All I ended up being on was progesterone suppositories at ovulation through the first trimester. I was discharged after my baby was 8 weeks. She ran the whole RPL panel on me, and nothing came out that would be causing my RPL. That is why I asked to use progesterone. I also was told I could take a daily baby aspirin. I was lucky enough not to have to do any further in depth treatments.
My insurance covered a good bit of the tests we had run, so we just had to pay my co-pays, and then % after that until we reached deductible. I didn't think the costs were astronomical.
Anovulation, Unexplained
If there is one thing I could change about Coast Fertility, the billing department would it. Honestly, it's awful--in all of their offices. The Charleston office told me I had a $600 credit then sent me a bill for $800. The Columbia office billing specialist was just charging me random amounts, when confronted she said she didn't know how much to charge me.... The wait times were often aggravating--that's when it felt like you were a number and not a human.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
If there is one thing I could change about Coast Fertility, the billing department would it. Honestly, it's awful--in all of their offices. The Charleston office told me I had a $600 credit then sent me a bill for $800. The Columbia office billing specialist was just charging me random amounts, when confronted she said she didn't know how much to charge me. Bills would come often with varying costs. I always paid same day of service so I'm not sure why the charges were so different/high. They always had excuses on why billing was never accurate. Was also told that they wouldn't discuss a loan option with me since insurance paid for some parts of treatment which is an unfair decision since they didn't know what insurance would pay and my financial situation. Honestly, the billing department would be the main reason I would not go to Coastal. It's too stressful in an already stressful enough situation.
Dr. Cook and her staff were attentive and walked us through the process throughly. Infertility is such an emotional process, there were some times I felt like a number instead of a human. That could have been due to all of the hormones, lack of patience, or the unknown. The wait times were often aggravating--that's when it felt like you were a number and not a human.
I dealt with the nursing staff the most. Some days they were really busy and rushed, other days they were attentive with sometime showing favorites with patients. Heather was very knowledgeable but at times was very flat in her compassion. Emotions run high through this process so it's important to have self-awareness.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Cook explained each procedure in detail, gave handouts, and even drew the process when the explanation became overwhelming. She always allowed plenty of time for to discuss any concerns and she encouraged questions. Sometimes when meeting her, the session could feel rushed. Patients can combat that by being as prepared as possible. I wish I had the opportunity to see her face-to-face more often, I am a patient at one of their satellite offices.
She is very kind and warm. Don't be afraid to ask questions, she encourages them and is very detailed in her responses.
Three IUI attempts with varying medication protocols before moving to IVF. First IUI was just oral medication, with the second and third IUI requiring oral and injectable medications.
Billing was never accurate or straightforward. I would say IUI without medication was around $1700.
Dr. Cooks approach is multiple embryo transfer (FET)
Myrtle Beach

The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] was very clean and professional and I felt like they knew what they were doing...We had a storm coming and instead of showing compassion about my worry that all this money and pain would all be for nothing, as I wouldn’t be able to do the iui she [the nurse] basically said tough that’s life I can’t control the weather. Even if there was nothing that could be done, her approach was terrible. It was the most vulnerable I ever felt and I would leave the meeting with her feeling sad and not hopeful. She was the only negative I take away from the clinic. Some people do jobs for too long.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
So wonderful, I went to both of their clinics and they are clean and professional and wonderful. The Lexington clinic is a little far out for me as well as Charleston but worth it. The waiting rooms weren’t cold and uncomfortable either .
He was very direct and helpful, my only complaint was the nurse I had for the entire process. She wasn’t the kindest and made me not comfortable. This was a lot of money and hope and many other feelings and she wasn’t very sensitive to that. It could of been a much better experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather Clayton)
She made me feel ridiculous for having concerns. We had a storm coming and instead of showing compassion about my worry that all this money and pain would all be for nothing, as I wouldn’t be able to do the iui she basically said tough that’s life I can’t control the weather. Even if there was nothing that could be done, her approach was terrible. It was the most vulnerable I ever felt and I would leave the meeting with her feeling sad and not hopeful. She was the only negative I take away from the clinic. Some people do jobs for too long.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was direct and effective. We didn’t waste time, which was important to me. I went in August for consult and was pregnant by October. The clinic was very clean and professional and I felt like they knew what they were doing.
Train your head nurse to be more empathetic.
First they checked my husbands sperm and once that checked out I went and got my Fallopian tubes checked. I did have to travel further for that procedure. The experience was good though, minus having to have a catheter put in. The clinic had me with different doctors though so I did not see Dr. slowey for that. Then I was on medication and shots. I got my blood drawn and ultrasound every 3 days to make sure my follicles were growing. Then I was instructed to use a trigger shot. There was a storm and the head nurse told me they wouldn’t be able to do my iui if the hurricane hit. That we would have to try again. So I ovulated a day early without the trigger shot and just had intercourse instead of the iui and we got lucky.
I truly don’t remember it was a couple thousand and then meds were 200-300$ I was suppose to get iui which was another thousand but didn’t end up needing it.
Lexington

They [Coastal Fertility Specialists] scheduled me very promptly for a consultation, within a month of calling...They handled my insurance with expert adeptness, minimizing our costs and even going above and beyond to help me with a billing issue that arose when I chose to do bloodwork closer to home for one of my betas. The doctors do rotate procedure days, so Dr Slowey did two of my IUIs, but they're both excellent doctors. For my second attempt to conceive, i did my monitoring at a satellite office in Bluffton, which was not nearly as smooth of an experience.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They scheduled me very promptly for a consultation, within a month of calling. My first go round, I went to the office in Charleston, which was brutal because it was a 2 hour drive there, but the office runs like a well oiled machine and my appointments were always quick and easy. While the drive was rough, the office support system was just what I needed when I was most emotionally vulnerable. They handled my insurance with expert adeptness, minimizing our costs and even going above and beyond to help me with a billing issue that arose when I chose to do bloodwork closer to home for one of my betas. The doctors do rotate procedure days, so Dr Slowey did two of my IUIs, but they're both excellent doctors. For my second attempt to conceive, i did my monitoring at a satellite office in Bluffton, which was not nearly as smooth of an experience. I had to get my blood work done at LabCorps, which often had a 1+ hour wait and usually lost my blood work order so I had to print copies. It was worth it to not drive 2 hours each way but only slightly when I was waiting 1-2 hours for blood work anyway. The experience was much better in the main office than the satellite office.
Dr Schnor explained the whole process himself, taking time to cover our options and the chances they gave us in his opinion. He then let us choose to do an unmedicated IUI before moving on to meds because I was so nervous about fertility meds, which was in retrospect very supportive of him because I know his success rates for unmedicated IUIs can't be great. When we returned to try to conceive a second child, he was visibly thrilled to meet our son that he helped us conceive and he tailored our plan to maximize insurance coverage while also using the plan that worked the first time (going straight to injectables).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jan Missildine)
Jan was empathetic and warm, prompt to respond and helpful in sorting out numerous issues with the lab where I had blood work done. She treated me and my myriad questions with respect and intelligent consideration. I did not like one of the nurses I met with when Jan was out of the office, however, and despite asking not to be assigned to her again, I continued to see her whenever Jan was absent. I cannot remember her name, but she had a way of making my every worry three times bigger (when I mentioned I was nervous about potentially conceiving twins, she started telling me that I had a 30% chance of twins, a 5% chance of triplets and "we've only had one set of quads" - whoa wasn't even thinking about triplets and quads, thanks lady) and making me feel like a cycle had failed before we even started ("Wow, the doctor said you have a 15% chance? That's way higher than we usually see with IUIs! So after this cycle, we will move on to IVF.") She was not my favorite person.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Schnorr was always kind and patient, never rushed us. He always explained why we were doing a certain course of treatment, what his recommendations were, and our chances of success. He was direct and honest but also warm in how he discussed our treatment.
Know that he won't sugar coat things. He'll be kind but he won't give you false hope if he doesn't think you have good chances. And that's a good thing.
We started with unmedicated IUI because I was afraid of fertility drugs as an unexplined infertility patient. He had recommended Femara IUI because he said in his experience people our age with unexplained infertility have a 5% chance per cycle on their own, 5% more with meds, and 5% more with IUI, so he wanted to combine it all for best chance of success. After one failed IUI, we moved on to Femara + Follistim TI cycle to maximize insurance coverage (at the clinic's recommendation). Then we did a Femara + Follistim IUI, and finally we did a Follistim IUI that resulted in a healthy singleton pregnancy. When we returned to conceive again, we did one Follistim TI cycle at the doses that worked the first time, and that resulted in a healthy singleton pregnancy.
I seem to remember IUI cycles cost us $900 - $250 for a monitored cycle administrative fee and $650 fee for the IUI (I may not have those numbers perfect, and it was 2014). They did a great job working with our insurance and finding loopholes to get medication and monitoring covered.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
The care I received [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] was outstanding. Everyone knew my name. We had an assigned nurse, who communicated with us clearly and quickly. Dr. Slowey spent all the time we needed explaining everything we asked, and answered us candidly. He told us what to expect, not falsely positive nor negative. Straight answers, with a lot of compassion and a bit of hope. It's clean, modern and nice. We were always taken on time, never made to wait. It is very discreet. New patients and those coming for a procedure don't cross paths. These guys are really organized! It was as nice as any fancy car showroom I've been to :)
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Since we were (probably) going to be spending the equivalent of a fancy sports car, it seemed only fair that the services and care should be on par, don't you think? Coastal Fertility excels here. We had been to a well known clinic in NY, in a depressing building, with a creepy waiting room. It was cold and scary. The doctor (highly rated by some) was the opposite of compassion. You could tell it was just a business for them. Not so at Coastal. It's clean, modern and nice. We were always taken on time, never made to wait. It is very discreet. New patients and those coming for a procedure don't cross paths. These guys are really organized! It was as nice as any fancy car showroom I've been to :)
The care I received was outstanding. Everyone knew my name. We had an assigned nurse, who communicated with us clearly and quickly. Dr. Slowey spent all the time we needed explaining everything we asked, and answered us candidly. He told us what to expect, not falsely positive nor negative. Straight answers, with a lot of compassion and a bit of hope.
The staff was amazing. The followed us on all the ups and downs, cheering us on (discreetly), and being especially sweet when things did not go well. They were always gentle and upbeat. Kelly was a fantastic communicator, always giving me the info when she said she would. I never had to wait. She knew I liked more info, so made sure to provide me with what I wanted to know. No question was too little. She knew our case well, and made sure we got everything we needed.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is compassionate and no nonsense. He deals in facts and science, but will also tell you what he doesn't know (and there is a lot the doctors do not know in infertility!). He is not "touchy-feely", but yet is very kind and gentle. We were always getting new bad news (not their fault, just facts) and he never hid from telling us the truth, yet told us gently. He's a great doctor, has a tremendous amount of experience and cares about his patients.
Do not expect to fed rainbows - he will tell you the truth, even if it means not having you as a patient. That said, he is also willing to try/test certain theories, but not if he doesn't have any evidence that they will work (and not without making sure you understand what is going on). The staff will give you the hugs - he will give you his expertise, with a mix of hope and compassion too.
600 IU Ubiquinol for 3 months before starting. IVF 1: micro flare (short Lupron) protocol started with birth control pills Results: suppression did not work, "broke through" Lupron. Cycle cancelled. IVF 2: Antagonist Protocol w/Cetrotide No birth control given (too strong) - used Estrace before stims instead. Results: 6 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized. Day 3 transfer of 3 embryos (4th arrested on Day 4). Positive pregnancy - saw heartbeat - miscarriage at 9 weeks IVF 3: Antagonist Protocol w/Cetrotide (same as #2) Results: 5 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. Day 5 transfer of 3 Morulas (no blastocytes). Remaining 2 arrested Day 5. Negative pregnancy
Monitoring was easy and as pleasant as it is ever going to be. We were told to show up in a time frame (for example, between 7:30 and 9am). Once we were there, we never had to wait more than 10 minutes, if that. It seems that they would know in advance their busy times, and if they needed more time with us, would give us a specific time. Monitoring was really efficient.
Drugs were about $6k, and each round of IVF was about 13k. We were a difficult case, with a lot of monitoring.

2012 - 2016
[Coast Fertility Specialists is] Quaint. Clean. Efficient. Dated, but not an issue. Overall fine...[Nurses are] Always friendly. Always had my charts ready. Super quick with blood draws and urine tests. Efficient and kind...
2012 - 2016
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Quaint. Clean. Efficient. Dated, but not an issue. Overall fine.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Cooper and his staff always we're extremely friendly. They never made me feel rushed. The office was never overcrowded. Everything is very laid back and relaxed. I actually enjoy going there.
How was your experience with William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is extremely intelligent. You can feel it when he walks in the room. He knows exactly what he's going to do the moment he walks in. He knows your case. He knows your treatment. He always has an answer and is confident in his work. I'm a huge fan and trust him whole heartedly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Tell him everything and let him work his magic.
Describe the protocols William Cooper (retired) used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
After a slew of hormone panels and doing a 24 hour postcoital sperm analysis (meaning the sperm was sampled from inside of me 24hrs after sex), he knew I had PCOS and needed to start me on medication. I was cycleless, after all. So we started on BCPs and dexamethasone and realized that wasn't the answer (to down stimulate hormones). Provera (10mg 5days to inside period) So we tried Femara 2.5mg with several ultrasounds to check folicular growth. Nothing. Provera (10mg 5days to inside period) Tried 5mg Femara and had excellent follicle growth, but didn't ovulate. Provera (10mg 5days to inside period) Third cycle we did Femara 5mg with an HCG trigger shot. I became pregnant with that third round. I used vaginally inserted suppositories of progesterone from the day I found out I was pregnant (home pregnancy test) until I was 13wks along to be on the safe side. I didn't have low progesterone, but knew it was a potential effect of the PCOS. I wasn't willing to take chances and specifically requested it. I wasn't offered it. He agreed willingly without ever batting an eye. Made me feel good about my request and how willing he was to prescribe it to me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
$40 co-pay for each visit - included all bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc... $50 for one round of HCG trigger shots.
William Cooper (retired)
Bluffton

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

2013 - 2015
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Every single person in the office [Coastal Fertility Specialists-Mt Pleasant] was wonderful, from the front desk all the way to dr. Slowey. We had a nurse coordinator Alison who brought us into the family and let us talk and vent and cry. They cared. They were happy when things were good and sad when it wasn’t.... It’s clean, it’s shiny, it’s new. I would be sure to tell someone new not to be intimidated. They care. They want to help. Don’t feel like you don’t belong there, you do. Trust them, be honest with them, be patient with them and they will help you.
2013 - 2015
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Every single person in the office was wonderful, from the front desk all the way to dr. Slowey. We had a nurse coordinator Alison who brought us into the family and let us talk and vent and cry. They cared. They were happy when things were good and sad when it wasn’t.
They were so good even my husband felt at ease. They were good for everything from paperwork to the finance dept to not shaming my weight but encouraging me as I got healthier under their care.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was upfront and honest from the very first appointment. He never once told us things were impossible but he was clear it would not be easy. He didn’t try and tell us to attempt a treatment that wouldn’t work and he listened, I’ve been to so many doctors who never listened to me or what I was saying. To know that he listened and heard me and tried to adjust for what I needed based on my feedback was everything.
It’s hard, sometimes, to trust a doctor, but trust him. He will not steer you wrong. He wants this as much as you do.
The only thing I remember specifically is that we did NOT use clomid, as I had used it before with a different doctor and had a bad reaction.
It was general 7-9am and they added offices while I was in their care so if I couldn’t drive the 2.5 hours to mt pleasant from where I lived there were offices that were closer.
I can’t recall the pricing for egg retrieval but I know that each cycle (at the time) was 1800 after the few expenses that could be billed to my insurance
After my first cycle miscarried, he was willing to try a multiple embryo transfer, but he was upfront about the dangers. And he would not try more than 2 embryos at once.
Mount Pleasant

Very efficient, clean and compassionate. all the staff [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] was friendly and easy to talk to. Easy to work with my work schedule. As I was working full time at that point. We loved our dr and nurses and would recommend the clinic to a friend.... Kelly did a great job at being compassionate. I had to following up repeatedly on treatment with her but understood from the beginning that it was my responsibility to do so.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Very efficient, clean and compassionate. all the staff was friendly and easy to talk to. Easy to work with my work schedule. As I was working full time at that point. We loved our dr and nurses and would recommend the clinic to a friend.
I had frequent contact with Dr Sloweys staff and I felt like we were all in the same team. The day I had my firs ultra sound to confirm my pregnancy the ultra sound tech was crying happy tears with me. When I was ten weeks along and graduating to my regular obgyn, Dr Slowey gave me a Children’s book with a message of congratulations written in it. It meant a lot to us. I Highly recommend this clinic.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Slowey is incredibly smart and explained things to my husband and I very clearly. Whenever he saw us he took his time and was compassionate. When we got pregnant after four rounds, he gave us a book with a message in it that meant a lot to my husband and I.
That the wait time is worth it. Be patient, and know that you are in excellent hands.
I have pcos and clomid, nor Femera were making me ovulate so we went straight to injectables. I was monitored by ultra sound and blood work every other day and then given a trigger shot to make me ovulate. We did timed intercourse the month that we conceived.
My insurance didn’t cover any of our procedures so we paid about 10,000 out of pocket in the four months we saw him.
2013 - 2014
Andrea [a nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists] was awesome through our whole expirience at coastal fertility. She was in constant contact with me. All of the staff was wonderful, including ultrasounds and blood draws.... [For monitoring appts] I went before work which worked out great. I never had to wait more than 15 minutes... He recommended that I try to lose some weight to have the best try at conceiving. I took a year to do that and I’m so glad I did. I don’t remember the exact drug protocol but there were only 2 things I had to inject at certain times and on certain days. We did several ultrasounds to check my egg sacs for retreival. We were set to do IVF so we had to do the egg retreival, ICSI and transfer of the embryos.
2013 - 2014
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I really don’t think there were any weaknesses. I always left feeling confident about our next steps. They were doing some renovations when we were being treated there so I can only imagine it’s gotten even better.
I always felt safe and important when I was being treated by dr. Schnorr. He answered my questions in a way I could understand. I never felt rushed when I was in his care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Andrea )
Andrea was awesome through our whole expirience at coastal fertility. She was in constant contact with me. All of the staff was wonderful, including ultrasounds and blood draws.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr was very professional but also warm and compassionate. In our first office visit I felt like I didn’t have to explain all of my feelings to him with having fertility issues because no matter what, he was going to do his best to help my husband and I achieve our goal of having a child. We were offered genetic testing but declined and were not pressured on the matter. I did have one set back with my injections. I believe I must have missed one or did it at the wrong time which led to my levels not being where they should've been. That was taken care of right away with ordering more meds and keeping me on track for the transfer. Every time I saw Dr. Schnorr he was always so positive which helped me stay positive.
Looking back, I was so nervous for our first appointment. I would definitely say now, there was no reason to be nervous. Dr. Schnorr’s confidence in being able to help my husband and I calmed all my fears about the process.
I really don’t remember the specifics of pricing. It was all laid out though before starting treatment. I knew exactly how much would need to be paid and when. This was a relief as fertility treatments are expensive.
Dr. Schnorr told us that basically our chances of getting pregnant while transferring one and getting pregnant by transferring 2 was about the same. I’m his opinion though, he thought we should transfer 2. We did end up transferring 2. He wouldn’t transfer more than 2 though.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Strengths [of Coastal Fertility Specialists]: compassionate, very professional. Offer free meds at times if they have extra available. Weaknesses: cost of treatment is very high. Wish there were more clinic programs that they would offer to multiple failed cycles.... Allison is wonderful and has been through IVF several times herself. I appreciated her coordinating everything for us and her compassion when we were unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Strengths: compassionate, very professional. Offer free meds at times if they have extra available. Weaknesses: cost of treatment is very high. Wish there were more clinic programs that they would offer to multiple failed cycles.
He is a very great doctor. This process is so exhausting and overwhelming but he tries to keep me calm and realistic. I just wish our outcomes were better.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is very knowledgeable and understands this process very well. He wants the best outcomes for all patients and knows how stressful this is. We are very impressed with him and know that he treats his patients with respect and compassion.
He does not sugar coat. Which is a good thing but can be difficult to hear. He is amazing and talented and very realistic.
Antagonist protocol: birth control pills for 2 weeks. We believe this oversuppressed me and i didn’t produce many eggs. Microflare Protocol was better and i produced 6 eggs. 4 were great quality and we did a fresh 3 day 2 embryo transfer. Negative pregnancy. 2 made to blast. Transferred the remaining 2 embryos and miscarried at 8’weeks.
Over 16k for procedure and medications
With my condition of low ovarian reserve, he decided to implant 2 each time in hopes one would implant and be successful.
Myrtle Beach

The IUI procedure cost $625 and the medicine was $300-350 [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]...The clinic provided a calming and inviting atmosphere which is so important! One thing I think they could work on is better communication with their patients. I had very little contact with my nurse coordinator due to her being out of town so frequently...My nurse was very helpful and friendly during the few visits I had with her. Unfortunately Kelly was out of town the majority of my time as a patient.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Dr. Slowey did an excellent job explaining everything and making sure my husband and I felt comfortable with the IUI process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Mollison )
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey was a very kind and professional doctor. I only met with him a few times but each time he made sure I understood anything I needed to know and answered any questions I had. He was very thorough in explaining the options we had and our diagnosis.
Make sure to write down any questions or concerns you may have to ask Dr. Slowey during your appointment. No question is a stupid one!
During my first IUI we used the lowest dosage of Gonal f and letrozole to hopefully prevent me from overstimulating. I only produced one follicle during my first cycle and unfortunately it was unsuccessful. On my second IUI we increased the amount of Gonal f injections as well as the dosage but had the same result, only one follicle and a negative pregnancy test.
My insurance covered the monitoring and blood work so I was left to pay for the procedure as well as the medicine. The IUI procedure cost $625 and the medicine was $300-350.

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
They [Coastal Fert Spec] are very caring and treat you with respect. When you walk into their facility it is almost like walking into a spa just very relaxing and peaceful. They also have good financial resources and will help you out in anyway to become a parent...She [nurse] went out of her way to answer all my questions and give me the emotional, physical support that I needed...Each iui was 525 not counting donor sperm
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They are very caring and treat you with respect. When you walk into their facility it is almost like walking into a spa just very relaxing and peaceful. They also have good financial resources and will help you out in anyway to become a parent
She was very down to earth and made me feel like it was important for me to be a mom and she would do everything she could to make me a mom
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jan Missildine )
She went out of her way to answer all my questions and give me the emotional, physical support that I needed
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She made me feel important when other doctors didn’t and she went out of her way to find a plan that worksh best for me. She was very understanding when I needed emotional support. She has always been with me from the beginning
That she is a very good doctor and if she needs help trying to figure out the correct plan for you to be on she will ask one of the other doctors.
Dr. Cook started me off with a unmedicated iui and when that didn’t worked we started on the clomid for iui and once that failed we started on clomid and ovidrel. We was able to conceive our daughter through this and now for baby number two we did 6 medicated iui and they all failed now we are moving on to ivf
Each iui was 525 not counting donor sperm or the ultrasounds and blood work needed. Ivf is 6100 up front
Mount Pleasant

The staff [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is very nice and personable. However, the higher medical staff is hard to meet with and are very rarely available to see on a non-appointment basis. There are so many branch offices that the doctors are spread thin and a patient does not know when or if they will see their doctor again. There is little medical support nor do I feel like I truly have a personal RE.... Cherub [nurse] is very nice, warm, and understanding on a face to face basic.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The staff is very nice and personable. However, the higher medical staff is hard to meet with and are very rarely available to see on a non-appointment basis. There are so many branch offices that the doctors are spread thin and a patient does not know when or if they will see their doctor again. There is little medical support nor do I feel like I truly have a personal RE.
He spoke rationally to me and allayed my concerns and fears. Plus, when I asked questions, he fully answered them. He was also sympathetic to my personal history.
Cherub is very nice, warm, and understanding on a face to face basic. She makes you feel like you are the only patient she has. However, on an correspondence level, she is horrible. Her emails are blunt, abrupt, and at times very cold. This is a major disconnect for the emotionally vulnerable patient.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is a little stand-offish at times but I believe that is cultural difference; i.e., North vs. South. It is also hard to actually meet with him rather than the nurses. I believe that is due to the size and number of branch offices the practice has rather his personal doing. However, he is very compassionate and when meeting, is fully present in the moment with you as a patient.
I would tell them to be prepared to rarely see him but trust in his plan for you, barring a major setback.
Lexington

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
We used gonal -f, ganarelix, human growth hormone, HCG [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]. We ended up with 14 eggs retrieved 7 of which made it to day 5...Heather [nurse] is one of the most compassionate people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She constantly checked up on me, didn't get annoyed at my 500 emails daily and my constant phone calls...total cost for our two cycles was around $14,000
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Everything runs like a well oiled machine. I cannot speak highly enough of Dawn Sadorf the financial coordinator. We were never hit with unexpected costs that she had not discussed with us. They were very upfront about the financial aspect as well as the emotional toll that this would take.
The office staff and Dr Cook were very compassionate and caring at every visit. They knew mine and my husbands names every time we went. They asked about our lives outside for feritlity and remembered everything we said.
Heather is one of the most compassionate people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She constantly checked up on me, didn't get annoyed at my 500 emails daily and my constant phone calls.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Cook was a very good communicator She explained all risks associated with every step of the process. She explained what the numbers meant and what we were shooting for. She remained very positive through the process even when I had had huge doubts. She personally called me several time throughout the process to see how I was doing.
Ask all of the questions you can possibly think of, she takes her time answering each one.
We used gonal -f, ganarelix, human growth hormone, HCG. We ended up with 14 eggs retrieved 7 of which made it to day 5.
total cost for our two cycles was around $14,000
Our Dr only does one embryo on the first transfer due to the risk of a multiples pregnancy. Our first transfer ended in miscarriage so we were given the opportunity to transfer two embryos the second time so we did.

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
The only weakness i could mention is the financial staff [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] dropped the ball on my insurance quote, however im not sure that was their fault. They worked well with us with getting bills paid, making appointments and working with us on the weekends...John Schnorr is amazing. His compassion and care exceeds all others. His relationship with his staff was great. I couldnt imagine having this procedure done with anyone else. There would not be one weekness not even the slightest hiccup occurred. Such a great man, and a awesome Doctor
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The only weekness i could mention is the financial staff dropped the ball on my insurance quote, however im not sure that was their fault. They worked well with us with getting bills paid, making appointments and working with us on the weekends.
When we came into the office we felt like we were the only one in that office. The Doctor would call us personally to see how things were going. Every time we met with the doctor or his nurse they asked questions about our life and remembered from visit to visit. I really feel like i made a friend with this doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Monique (Mo))
Mo was awesome. She was funny and caring. She was very very quick to respond to emails and phone calls. She related well to me. Mo was willing to take all the time she needed with me. She sat in the room with me for the entire time i was in recovery from my retrieval. This blew me away. So awesome!!!!!
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Get after it. Dont wait, and it is afforable if you want it to be.
Out insurance would not cover anything and it ended up costing about $17,000 with medications and monitoring, retrieval and implantation
Mount Pleasant

Beautiful clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists]. Easy location. The clinical staff and front desk staff were very helpful and kind. They are priced higher than other clinics we found in the US and don’t offer the same value as they are not into advanced treatments like mini ivf or PRP.... Allison was hardly available. She was rude over the phone in explaining certain things. When asked about the rationale behind donor eggs and no other treatment first to see what kind of response I would produce she was snarky and demeaning.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Beautiful clinic. Easy location. The clinical staff and front desk staff were very helpful and kind. They are priced higher than other clinics we found in the US and don’t offer the same value as they are not into advanced treatments like mini ivf or PRP.
He gave me poor statistics over the phone 3 days before Christmas in under 5 minutes.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is very smart but speaks in complex medical terms. He gave poor news over the phone and did not give us any hope. I have undergone no treatment to date and yet he immediately jumped to donor eggs.
Do your own research.
Baseline tests, start coq10 (type was not discussed), hsg. We declined to move forward with him and donor eggs.
Maxing out $15k insurance and still needing to pay $4,500 out of pocket without meds.
Mount Pleasant

This clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists- Mount Pleasant] is great! The front desk staff are friendly. All the nurses were nice. My nurse Becky is the absolute best. The only thing I hated was some time there was a wait. Dr. Cook is super nice and explains everything.... Nurse Becky is amazing!!! Very caring. She shows compassion. I remember during my first appointment I was so sad and couldn't stop crying. She gave me a hug and said everything is going to be ok. She always return my call the same day or next day.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This clinic is great! The front desk staff are friendly. All the nurses were nice. My nurse Becky is the absolute best. The only thing I hated was some time there was a wait. Dr. Cook is super nice and explains everything.
Dr Cook is wonderful! She is fun and very nice. She treated me like a person. She answered my questions. She explained my treatment very well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Becky)
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Cook was the first fertility specialist I saw. She explained everything and was very eager to help us. We left her and went to another doctor for a second opinion. A year later I went back to Dr. Cook because I wanted to try IUI. She explained to me why IUI would not be a good option for me. She explained IVF in a very great detail. We are saving our money now for IVF and I plan to go back to Dr. Cook when I'm ready.
She's very nice. She will not make you feel like your stupid.
Mount Pleasant

Andrea [a nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists-North Charleston] has been my saving grace when I need to ask her any and all questions during the day. She’s easy to communicate with, and always finds time to get back with me. I appreciate her so very much... He [Dr. John Schnorr] has been very thorough, and our nurse has been very, very compassionate and helpful during our treatments.
Currently still a patient of Dr. Schnorr. He has been very up front about what our options were regarding trying to conceive. He has been very thorough, and our nurse has been very, very compassionate and helpful during our treatments. It’s hard to hear that we can’t conceive naturally, but due to my endometriosis it makes it super difficult. Dr. Schnorr has helped us understand why it’s difficult and yet what we can try to better our chances. We are currently trying our first IVF cycle this month. We are excited to try this and we are hopeful. We appreciate how thorough and wonderful he has been.
Andrea has been my saving grace when I need to ask her any and all questions during the day. She’s easy to communicate with, and always finds time to get back with me. I appreciate her so very much.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr is a wonderful doctor. As stated in our previous statement, he has kept us sane during our treatments and also been very realistic with us. We appreciate his candid nature and would highly recommend him to our friends and family.
Ask as many questions as possible. Dr. Schnorr will answer any and all your questions.

2014 - 2018
Cost are high. Not all staff [Coastal Fertility Specialists] are trained equally on the billing process. Flexible schedule and a nurse always on call. Three doctors in clinic and cover one another. Everything done in office. Friendly staff. Multiple locations... Went in for monitoring when convenient with several locations to choose... [Cost Of Treatment] $15k to $20k for a entire cycle and meds... Best RN I could of asked for to treat me through this Lprocess.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Cost are high. Not all staff are trained equally on the billing process. Flexible schedule and a nurse always on call. Three doctors in clinic and cover one another. Everything done in office. Friendly staff. Multiple locations
Wanted to be treated as an individual and yet statistics were constantly used
Best RN I could of asked for to treat me through this Lprocess. Compassionate, understanding and flexible. Has always made herself available to me. Has been my personal cheerleader during the good and hard times.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Very likable. Candid, friendly, nice, available for questions, compassionate, knowledge and flexible. Sometimes focused to much on the negative of my condition and statistical outcomes. Pushed hard to use donor eggs but used my own.
Be persistent and ask questions
Lupron 10cc one week before cycle and after through stim and retrieval. Testosterone cream during same period but stopped at stim. Follistim 450IU 10-12 days. Omnitrope last 4 days of stim.
Went in for monitoring when convenient with several locations to choose
$15k to $20k for a entire cycle and meds
Mount Pleasant

[Coastal Fertility Specialists-Mount Pleasant is a] Busy clinic with state of the art equipment. Lab is onsite (I believe). I like the clinic. It was comfortable but it was very busy. At points seemed slightly disorganized with what was going on due to large staff and clinic patient volume... [the nurse was] Very helpful when you could get in touch with her. Very hard to get in touch with at times
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Dr Slowey did take the time to explain things to us in a way we could understand. He also didn’t push us towards more aggressive treatments as he did not feel they were necessary given our situation at that time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Ribiero)
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is very thorough and offered us a lot of help in determining our best treatment plan, in addition to giving us a clearer sense of our time line. I would recommend him to anyone seeking fertility treatment
Utilize the consultation to address all questions and concerns. We asked some questions that I feel silly about now but he is a great professional and answered them as a credible. He seems to realize these are scary procedures
Polyp removal and iui
About $2500 per iui cycle
Mount Pleasant

Much of the clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists-Wilmington] was out dated. They needed renovations. Sometimes I felt like my privacy was not a main concern. The staff was friendly, but I feel the doctor used methods that were dated. ... The nurses were always friendly and would respond to me when asked a question or concern... I believe each IUI was around $300
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Much of the clinic was out dated. They needed renovations. Sometimes I felt like my privacy was not a main concern. The staff was friendly, but I feel the doctor used methods that were dated. I cannot think of anything else here
We got to know the staff well and felt like more than just a nimber
What specific things went wrong at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
At first we thought he was very thourough, however as time went on, we realized this was not the case. Several tests that should have been done were not. Also some information that he should have told us, he failed to
Research on your own and ask questions
We started with Femara alone and that was unsuccessful. He soon after recommended IUI which we did several times. He didn’t really tell us why this was the best option, but we believed he knew what was best. After several failed attempts, we were told about cysts I had on my ovaries. I felt this should have been told to me earlier in the process and by the doctor instead of a nurse.
I believe each IUI was around $300
William Cooper (retired)

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Overall this [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is a fabulous clinic, only complaint is when my nurse is away, and doesn’t let me know, or let me know who I should be in contact with if I need them. Everyone is kind, compassionate, and gentle...I like my nurse, she’s very kind...We’ve ran every test there is on both my husband and I. We’ve done metformin for my PCOS, we’ve done HSGs and injectable medications, and progesterone. I usually get pregnant but don’t stay pregnant.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Overall this is a fabulous clinic, only complaint is when my nurse is away, and doesn’t let me know, or let me know who I should be in contact with if I need them. Everyone is kind, compassionate, and gentle.
Dr. Slowey does an excellent job of being kind, sensitive, but also informative.
I like my nurse, she’s very kind, however she doesn’t let me know when she will be out of the office for a while, which is inconvenient when you’re on a time frame.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey has been very thourough running every test he can think of for my husband and I both. Unfortunately reoccuring miscarriages are my issue, but he has been very comforting and kind. What’s left for us is IVF.
Do not be afraid to ask questions!
My insurance covers the appointments, but treatments are expensive.

3 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
The entire team [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] is wonderful, from front desk to finance to the embryologists. Doctors, nurses, and lab techs really seem to care about their patients and they take the time to get to know you. I feel like a good friend every time I walk in the door... Efficient, well-oiled machine. The longest I ever waited was 10 minutes.... Everyone is wonderful and caring and compassionate.
3 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The entire team is wonderful, from front desk to finance to the embryologists. Doctors, nurses, and lab techs really seem to care about their patients and they take the time to get to know you. I feel like a good friend every time I walk in the door.
Always called me after hours to check on me. Knows me by name and sight. Remembers points about me and my partner and inquired about the same.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Yes but it changed during the 2 year course of treatment )
Everyone is wonderful and caring and compassionate.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Personable, knowledgeable, comforting, committed to patient care. He genuinely seems to care about your goals and desires but is also realistic about the reality of your challenges and presents all of your options in an easy to understand way.
Ask all the questions. He will answer every one.
Efficient, well-oiled machine. The longest I ever waited was 10 minutes.
Mount Pleasant

IUI, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
We started with ultrasound, RPL and HSG to make sure that there weren't some other issues before delving into my treatment plan [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]. He [Dr. Michael Slowey] looked at my full health and fertility history...She [nurse] is awesome! Super personable and like a best friend almost...we had to pay upfront for all treatment ...Organized, beautiful and clean.
IUI, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Organized, beautiful and clean.
He has very good bedside manner, warm and kind but still very professional and informative. He treated me like a person and not a statistic and explained to me the whole process and why he was doing what he was doing.
She is awesome! Super personable and like a best friend almost.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I would just recommend him to anyone. He gave me the reality but also left me with a clear plan of action. I felt informed and hopeful. As I said before, he treats you as a person and not a statistic.
I don't have any.
We started with ultrasound, RPL and HSG to make sure that there weren't some other issues before delving into my treatment plan. He looked at my full health and fertility history.
Some of our costs were covered by insurance but we still had out of pocket and we had to pay upfront for all treatment and the portion that was not met by our insurance deductible.
Mount Pleasant

Smaller clinic [Coastal Fertility], flexible, easy to connect with staff as needed. Nothing negative to say, I was pleased with this clinic. I would go back and recommend others to go there! It was a good experience...[Nursing Staff] Very caring and quick to return a call...I loved Dr Fru. I felt like she really cared about me and was on a personal mission to get me pregnant! She was warm, friendly, always chatted with me in the office.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Smaller clinic, flexible, easy to connect with staff as needed. Nothing negative to say, I was pleased with this clinic. I would go back and recommend others to go there! It was a good experience....................
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Karenne Fru at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I loved Dr Fru. I felt like she really cared about me and was on a personal mission to get me pregnant! She was warm, friendly, always chatted with me in the office. She was caring and had good bedside manner when I had a miscarriage.
Very caring and quick to return a call.
How was your experience with Karenne Fru at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I think she was wonderful. She was knowledgeable and took the time to explain things to me. I felt like I knew what was going on and I felt included in the processes. I think she was caring and had good bedside manner.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Karenne Fru at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Take questions and she’ll find the answer!
Describe the protocols Karenne Fru used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
I did 6 IUIs with her. I did one cycle with clomid/ovidrel, then moved to injectable medicines (gonalF) for the last 5 cycles. She was agressive with my treatment because I had a bad experience with a doctor before her.
Karenne Fru
Wilimington

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Karenne Fru at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

She [a nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists] never seemed to be in the office or available, took forever to call back, was unorganized, unprofessional, and did not give me any confidence in what we were doing. I almost quit the whole process because of her. After speaking to several other patients, I found we all had the same bad experiences.... They have a very efficient process down but it does remove to personal element. I felt like I was just being fit into an algorithm and was scared to ask questions, call, etc- anything that veered from protocol
Warm, comfortable, and private
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
She never seemed to be in the office or available, took forever to call back, was unorganized, unprofessional, and did not give me any confidence in what we were doing. I almost quit the whole process because of her. After speaking to several other patients, I found we all had the same bad experiences.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is absolutely wonderful and caring and knows what he's doing!
Go in ready to listen- he's not very concerned with health, activity, diet, etc. He has a formula and it works
He used pictures and drawings and wrote out percentages to give us a better idea of what treatment path to take

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Coastal was very upfront and informative about the cost of everything. They make it very easy to understand.... Dr. Cook was extremely helpful in explaining the IUI procedure and why she thought that was the best route to go. She had a very positive attitude and made us feel like she really cared. I would recommend her to friends. Coastal is a very busy clinic, because they are so successful.... Coastal is a very busy clinic, just felt I got lost in the shuffle
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Coastal is a very busy clinic, just felt I got lost in the shuffle.
Be patient

2012 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr Slowey and his team did an excellent job of explaining each and every step to us in full detail and walked us through the entire process from start to finish. Everyone in the office knew our names and we're very friendly and knowledgeable.
2012 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Other
This clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is a loyalty and dependable and understanding way or knowledge of his patients conditions and show compassion with them as they was going to the same they have no weaknesses they have open communication you can call them anytime during the hours or have any questions they are special people that I will recommend for anyone to go today clinc... She [nurse] was nice and kind and understanding and out of all my questions
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This clinic is a loyalty and dependable and understanding way or knowledge of his patients conditions and show compassion with them as they was going to the same they have no weaknesses they have open communication you can call them anytime during the hours or have any questions they are special people that I will recommend for anyone to go today clinc
Because he sits and go over everything in detail and tell you the outcome and chances until you understand.
She was nice and kind and understanding and out of all my questions
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. slowly as a dedicated an honest man they put faith in his work to make sure you understand your condition it out come and pros and cons of everything and price is the last thing he tells you he is amazing his weakness is he cares to much for his patience
Loyalty and dedicated he is a good doctor
Did paperwork did ultrasound to check follicles he went over test and outcomes.
Ivf with egg donar
Myrtle Beach

Coastal fertility clinic has a very organized, professional, and compassionate team, from doctors and nurses to the administration staff. They remembered our names and treated us like old friends every time we came in. It helped to make the disappointment in needing to be there a more comfortable experience.... I really liked Dr. Cook. She was caring and compassionate, and patient when answering my many questions. I did not have any successful cycles, but I don't think that had anything to do with her. I will probably go back to her once my finances bounce back a little bit.
European, Latino
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Know what you want going in.