Genetic counseling: Offered
Wilmington
1500 Medical Center Dr
Wilmington, NC 28401
910-763-9509
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Coastal Fertility Specialists to a friend?

3 doctors
He [Dr. Schnorr] then let us choose to do an unmedicated IUI before moving on to meds because I was so nervous about fertility meds...Dr Schnorr was always kind and patient, never rushed us. He always explained why we were doing a certain course of treatment, what his recommendations were, and our chances of success...Know that he won't sugar coat things. He'll be kind but he won't give you false hope if he doesn't think you have good chances...He was direct and honest but also warm in how he discussed our treatment.
They [Coastal Fertility Specialists] scheduled me very promptly for a consultation, within a month of calling...They handled my insurance with expert adeptness, minimizing our costs and even going above and beyond to help me with a billing issue that arose when I chose to do bloodwork closer to home for one of my betas. The doctors do rotate procedure days, so Dr Slowey did two of my IUIs, but they're both excellent doctors. For my second attempt to conceive, i did my monitoring at a satellite office in Bluffton, which was not nearly as smooth of an experience.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Schnorr was always kind and patient, never rushed us. He always explained why we were doing a certain course of treatment, what his recommendations were, and our chances of success. He was direct and honest but also warm in how he discussed our treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Know that he won't sugar coat things. He'll be kind but he won't give you false hope if he doesn't think you have good chances. And that's a good thing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Schnor explained the whole process himself, taking time to cover our options and the chances they gave us in his opinion. He then let us choose to do an unmedicated IUI before moving on to meds because I was so nervous about fertility meds, which was in retrospect very supportive of him because I know his success rates for unmedicated IUIs can't be great. When we returned to try to conceive a second child, he was visibly thrilled to meet our son that he helped us conceive and he tailored our plan to maximize insurance coverage while also using the plan that worked the first time (going straight to injectables).
Describe the protocols John Schnorr used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
We started with unmedicated IUI because I was afraid of fertility drugs as an unexplined infertility patient. He had recommended Femara IUI because he said in his experience people our age with unexplained infertility have a 5% chance per cycle on their own, 5% more with meds, and 5% more with IUI, so he wanted to combine it all for best chance of success. After one failed IUI, we moved on to Femara + Follistim TI cycle to maximize insurance coverage (at the clinic's recommendation). Then we did a Femara + Follistim IUI, and finally we did a Follistim IUI that resulted in a healthy singleton pregnancy. When we returned to conceive again, we did one Follistim TI cycle at the doses that worked the first time, and that resulted in a healthy singleton pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jan Missildine)
Jan was empathetic and warm, prompt to respond and helpful in sorting out numerous issues with the lab where I had blood work done. She treated me and my myriad questions with respect and intelligent consideration. I did not like one of the nurses I met with when Jan was out of the office, however, and despite asking not to be assigned to her again, I continued to see her whenever Jan was absent. I cannot remember her name, but she had a way of making my every worry three times bigger (when I mentioned I was nervous about potentially conceiving twins, she started telling me that I had a 30% chance of twins, a 5% chance of triplets and "we've only had one set of quads" - whoa wasn't even thinking about triplets and quads, thanks lady) and making me feel like a cycle had failed before we even started ("Wow, the doctor said you have a 15% chance? That's way higher than we usually see with IUIs! So after this cycle, we will move on to IVF.") She was not my favorite person.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They scheduled me very promptly for a consultation, within a month of calling. My first go round, I went to the office in Charleston, which was brutal because it was a 2 hour drive there, but the office runs like a well oiled machine and my appointments were always quick and easy. While the drive was rough, the office support system was just what I needed when I was most emotionally vulnerable. They handled my insurance with expert adeptness, minimizing our costs and even going above and beyond to help me with a billing issue that arose when I chose to do bloodwork closer to home for one of my betas. The doctors do rotate procedure days, so Dr Slowey did two of my IUIs, but they're both excellent doctors. For my second attempt to conceive, i did my monitoring at a satellite office in Bluffton, which was not nearly as smooth of an experience. I had to get my blood work done at LabCorps, which often had a 1+ hour wait and usually lost my blood work order so I had to print copies. It was worth it to not drive 2 hours each way but only slightly when I was waiting 1-2 hours for blood work anyway. The experience was much better in the main office than the satellite office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I seem to remember IUI cycles cost us $900 - $250 for a monitored cycle administrative fee and $650 fee for the IUI (I may not have those numbers perfect, and it was 2014). They did a great job working with our insurance and finding loopholes to get medication and monitoring covered.
Bluffton

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

2012 - 2016
He [Dr. Cooper] is extremely intelligent. You can feel it when he walks in the room. He knows exactly what he's going to do the moment he walks in. He knows your case. He knows your treatment. He always has an answer and is confident in his work. I'm a huge fan and trust him whole heartedly...Tell him everything and let him work his magic...
[Coast Fertility Specialists is] Quaint. Clean. Efficient. Dated, but not an issue. Overall fine...[Nurses are] Always friendly. Always had my charts ready. Super quick with blood draws and urine tests. Efficient and kind...
2012 - 2016
How was your experience with William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is extremely intelligent. You can feel it when he walks in the room. He knows exactly what he's going to do the moment he walks in. He knows your case. He knows your treatment. He always has an answer and is confident in his work. I'm a huge fan and trust him whole heartedly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Tell him everything and let him work his magic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Cooper and his staff always we're extremely friendly. They never made me feel rushed. The office was never overcrowded. Everything is very laid back and relaxed. I actually enjoy going there.
Describe the protocols William Cooper (retired) used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
After a slew of hormone panels and doing a 24 hour postcoital sperm analysis (meaning the sperm was sampled from inside of me 24hrs after sex), he knew I had PCOS and needed to start me on medication. I was cycleless, after all. So we started on BCPs and dexamethasone and realized that wasn't the answer (to down stimulate hormones). Provera (10mg 5days to inside period) So we tried Femara 2.5mg with several ultrasounds to check folicular growth. Nothing. Provera (10mg 5days to inside period) Tried 5mg Femara and had excellent follicle growth, but didn't ovulate. Provera (10mg 5days to inside period) Third cycle we did Femara 5mg with an HCG trigger shot. I became pregnant with that third round. I used vaginally inserted suppositories of progesterone from the day I found out I was pregnant (home pregnancy test) until I was 13wks along to be on the safe side. I didn't have low progesterone, but knew it was a potential effect of the PCOS. I wasn't willing to take chances and specifically requested it. I wasn't offered it. He agreed willingly without ever batting an eye. Made me feel good about my request and how willing he was to prescribe it to me.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Quaint. Clean. Efficient. Dated, but not an issue. Overall fine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
$40 co-pay for each visit - included all bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc... $50 for one round of HCG trigger shots.
William Cooper (retired)
Bluffton

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Other
[Dr. Michael Slowey] called me personally multiple times and was always very concerned with my comfort during procedures and very patient answering literal pages of questions that I would bring to appointments...He was very thorough in clarifying our goals, understanding our concerns, and updating care plan and interventions to meet our needs...He was also very good at presenting the facts and our difficult prognosis with compassion
Heather [nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists] was always so calm and positive, I can’t tell you how many times she let me cry in her office before I had to go back to work. She always remembered to call me on days off or email me on days I worked and was great at updates...They forgot to tell me I could get a period during stimulations which caused a bit of a panic for me...The clinic is very comfy and mellow environment but the Charleston clinic that does the procedures really dropped the ball, they had me mistaken for someone else and said my husband needed to give a sample and I panicked thinking they had lost our only frozen sample
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was very thorough in clarifying our goals, understanding our concerns, and updating care plan and interventions to meet our needs. He was very available both phone and email and staff called me multiple times just to check in on me. He was also very good at presenting the facts and our difficult prognosis with compassion
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, he’s very kind and thorough and wants to make sure you feel comfortable with your decisions and plan
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
My dr called me personally multiple times and was always very concerned with my comfort during procedures and very patient answering literal pages of questions that I would bring to appointments
Describe the protocols Michael Slowey used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
My treatment involved a lot of high doses due to my low function, I took hcg, max of gonal F, and another drug that burned a lot. Frequent blood tests and ultrasound to check progress with dose adjustments every 24-48 hours, it was a very specific and personalized approach. We managed to get 15 eggs and 4 good embryos so I’m over the moon
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
Heather was always so calm and positive, I can’t tell you how many times she let me cry in her office before I had to go back to work. She always remembered to call me on days off or email me on days I worked and was great at updates
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Well oiled machine and always speedy
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Dr Slowey was about half of what we were paying and they had a lot more options
Describe Michael Slowey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Not to this point yet
Lexington

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
De. [Dr.] Schnorr was very detailed with us from our consultation and continued to be so at every appointment after that. ... After diagnosed hydrosalpinx Dr. Schnorr suggested IVF as our best possibility for getting pregnant. ... He did retrieval, transfer, ultrasound after positive pregnancy test and D&C. After getting pregnancy test results from the nurse, he always called to follow up the same day and discuss plans for moving forward.
Both clinic locations [Coastal Fertility Specialists] are clean and organized. Staff are always pleasant and are very compassionate. The doctors are primarily in the Charleston office so scheduling with them in the Lexington office can be a little tricky and I would not wait until the last minute to make an appointment. ... Monitoring appointments are first thing in the morning. They're is never more than one or two other people in the waiting room, if any. On 95% of my appointments I never waited more than 5 minutes to be called back.
European, Black or African-American
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
De. Schnorr was very detailed with us from our consultation and continued to be so at every appointment after that. We did not see him for monitoring appointments (he is based in Charleston, we live in Lexington). He did retrieval, transfer, ultrasound after positive pregnancy test and D&C. After getting pregnancy test results from the nurse, he always called to follow up the same day and discuss plans for moving forward.
He is honest in giving you information about possibility for success and makes sure you understand risks involve. He follows recommended guidelines for transfers and his goal is to get you one healthy bay at a time.
Everyone in the clinic makes us feel very welcome. Our team knew my and my husband names and would remember personal things that came up in conversation and ask us about it at follow up appointments. Our nurse coordinator, Cherub, is amazing! I've never had a problem getting in touch with her and she always emails to check in on how we are doing. I love our clinic!
After diagnosed hydrosalpinx Dr. Schnorr suggested IVF as our best possibility for getting pregnant. We did one egg retrieval with a freeze-all. I believe this is Dr Schnorr's typical protocol in order to give your body time to recover after stinking and retrieval and get prepared for transfer. Genetic testing was not recommended for us. We transferred day 5 single embryos twice stating with the highest grades embryo (one early miscarriage, one failed). For our third transfer Dr. Schnorr recommended an endometrial scratch to help with implantation and gave us the option to transfer 2 embryos, which we did. This cycle also failed. Next, an ERA has been recommended to test receptivity and make and protocol changes as needed. This will be our next step.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Cherub)
From the first visit, Cherub has been incredibly helpful. She has developed a gray rapport with my husband and I and is always quick to respond to emails. She has checked in with me after every procedure and is always offering support if needed.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Both clinic locations are clean and organized. Staff are always pleasant and are very compassionate. The doctors are primarily in the Charleston office so scheduling with them in the Lexington office can be a little tricky and I would not wait until the last minute to make an appointment. With that being said I have never not been able to get in with someone when I really needed to, even if it had to be a different doctor.
I do have some insurance coverage, however we have spent approximately $15k on one stim and retrieval cycle and 3 transfers and one D&C (including all monitoring and blood work) and medications.
Describe John Schnorr's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Dr. Schnorr highly recommends single embryo transfers unless there are extenuating circumstances. He explains all of the possible outcomes, good and bad, for transferring more than one embryo.

Anovulation, Male Factor, Immunological
[Dr. Schnorr was] Very personable but he also didn’t waste your time with small talk...Knowledgeable, and kind. He predicted our numbers based on my age and diagnosis PERFECTLY. That made me feel like he had been doing this for a long time. Had to rely a lot on his staff because of my location...He will listen to you and take all the time you need to answer questions so have your questions ready!... He suggested a single embryo transfer based on my age 32. He suggest ICSI based on my husbands sperm sample. He suggested frozen transfer transplant based on his success rate.
[Coastal Fertility Specialists has] Multiple locations which is nice living in Columbia where there are not many clinics. Had to drive 1.5 hours to get to the transfer and retrieval. Other then that could do everything in Columbia. Clinic is clean and nice decor...You would see whichever doctor was in Columbia that day so you aren't always seeing Schnorr but 2/3 doctors were great and you always had the same nurse. Very helpful in scheduling around your work schedule.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Immunological
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Knowledgeable, and kind. He predicted our numbers based on my age and diagnosis PERFECTLY. That made me feel like he had been doing this for a long time. Had to rely a lot on his staff because of my location but the time sI did talk o him he was honest and to the point.
Very personable but he also didn’t waste your time with small talk
We were going to try IUI 2 - 3 times but after one failed cycle he was honest and said he didn't think based on husbands numbers we should do a second round. We did anyways for peace of mind and I don't have any regret. Then we did IVF. He suggested a single embryo transfer based on my age 32. He suggest ICSI based on my husbands sperm sample. He suggested frozen transfer transplant based on his success rate.
Best communicator I have ever met. She is firm and to the point but extremely efficient. I loved being able to email a nurse and get a response within 10 minutes. I have never had that with a doctors office before!
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Multiple locations which is nice living in Columbia where there are not many clinics. Had to drive 1.5 hours to get to the transfer and retrieval. Other then that could do everything in Columbia. Clinic is clean and nice decor. Its obvious that when you are paying out of pocket you are getting better treatment. You would see whichever doctor was in Columbia that day so you aren't always seeing Schnorr but 2/3 doctors were great and you always had the same nurse. Very helpful in scheduling around your work schedule.
2k for IUI treatment and medication 14k IVF 3k IVF medication Free consults $200 credit
He said that based on my age 32 I had a 60% chance of implantation. He thought it would be better and less risky to transfer one by one then multiples because of my high implantation chance. We knew it would be more expensive if first transfer doesn't work but we were willing to take the chance to avoid twins.
Lexington

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Cook was a very good communicator She explained all risks associated with every step of the process. She explained what the numbers meant and what we were shooting for. She remained very positive through the process even when I had had huge doubts. She personally called me several time throughout the process to see how I was doing...Ask all of the questions you can possibly think of, she takes her time answering each one.
We used gonal -f, ganarelix, human growth hormone, HCG [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]. We ended up with 14 eggs retrieved 7 of which made it to day 5...Heather [nurse] is one of the most compassionate people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She constantly checked up on me, didn't get annoyed at my 500 emails daily and my constant phone calls...total cost for our two cycles was around $14,000
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
The office staff and Dr Cook were very compassionate and caring at every visit. They knew mine and my husbands names every time we went. They asked about our lives outside for feritlity and remembered everything we said.
Describe the protocols Heather Cook used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
We used gonal -f, ganarelix, human growth hormone, HCG. We ended up with 14 eggs retrieved 7 of which made it to day 5.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather Clayton)
Heather is one of the most compassionate people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She constantly checked up on me, didn't get annoyed at my 500 emails daily and my constant phone calls.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Everything runs like a well oiled machine. I cannot speak highly enough of Dawn Sadorf the financial coordinator. We were never hit with unexpected costs that she had not discussed with us. They were very upfront about the financial aspect as well as the emotional toll that this would take.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
total cost for our two cycles was around $14,000
Describe Heather Cook's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Our Dr only does one embryo on the first transfer due to the risk of a multiples pregnancy. Our first transfer ended in miscarriage so we were given the opportunity to transfer two embryos the second time so we did.
Lexington

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

He [Dr. Micheal Slowey] was very direct and helpful...effective. We didn’t waste time, which was important to me. I went in August for consult and was pregnant by October...First they checked my husbands sperm and once that checked out I went and got my Fallopian tubes checked...The clinic had me with different doctors though so I did not see Dr. slowey for that.
The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] was very clean and professional and I felt like they knew what they were doing...We had a storm coming and instead of showing compassion about my worry that all this money and pain would all be for nothing, as I wouldn’t be able to do the iui she [the nurse] basically said tough that’s life I can’t control the weather. Even if there was nothing that could be done, her approach was terrible. It was the most vulnerable I ever felt and I would leave the meeting with her feeling sad and not hopeful. She was the only negative I take away from the clinic. Some people do jobs for too long.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was direct and effective. We didn’t waste time, which was important to me. I went in August for consult and was pregnant by October. The clinic was very clean and professional and I felt like they knew what they were doing.
Train your head nurse to be more empathetic.
He was very direct and helpful, my only complaint was the nurse I had for the entire process. She wasn’t the kindest and made me not comfortable. This was a lot of money and hope and many other feelings and she wasn’t very sensitive to that. It could of been a much better experience.
First they checked my husbands sperm and once that checked out I went and got my Fallopian tubes checked. I did have to travel further for that procedure. The experience was good though, minus having to have a catheter put in. The clinic had me with different doctors though so I did not see Dr. slowey for that. Then I was on medication and shots. I got my blood drawn and ultrasound every 3 days to make sure my follicles were growing. Then I was instructed to use a trigger shot. There was a storm and the head nurse told me they wouldn’t be able to do my iui if the hurricane hit. That we would have to try again. So I ovulated a day early without the trigger shot and just had intercourse instead of the iui and we got lucky.
She made me feel ridiculous for having concerns. We had a storm coming and instead of showing compassion about my worry that all this money and pain would all be for nothing, as I wouldn’t be able to do the iui she basically said tough that’s life I can’t control the weather. Even if there was nothing that could be done, her approach was terrible. It was the most vulnerable I ever felt and I would leave the meeting with her feeling sad and not hopeful. She was the only negative I take away from the clinic. Some people do jobs for too long.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
So wonderful, I went to both of their clinics and they are clean and professional and wonderful. The Lexington clinic is a little far out for me as well as Charleston but worth it. The waiting rooms weren’t cold and uncomfortable either .
I truly don’t remember it was a couple thousand and then meds were 200-300$ I was suppose to get iui which was another thousand but didn’t end up needing it.
Lexington

He [Dr. Slowey] spoke rationally to me and allayed my concerns and fears. Plus, when I asked questions, he fully answered them. He was also sympathetic to my personal history.... He is a little stand-offish at times but I believe that is cultural difference; i.e., North vs. South. It is also hard to actually meet with him rather than the nurses. I believe that is due to the size and number of branch offices the practice has rather his personal doing. However, he is very compassionate and when meeting, is fully present in the moment with you as a patient.
The staff [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is very nice and personable. However, the higher medical staff is hard to meet with and are very rarely available to see on a non-appointment basis. There are so many branch offices that the doctors are spread thin and a patient does not know when or if they will see their doctor again. There is little medical support nor do I feel like I truly have a personal RE.... Cherub [nurse] is very nice, warm, and understanding on a face to face basic.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I would tell them to be prepared to rarely see him but trust in his plan for you, barring a major setback.
He spoke rationally to me and allayed my concerns and fears. Plus, when I asked questions, he fully answered them. He was also sympathetic to my personal history.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Cherub Hutto)
Cherub is very nice, warm, and understanding on a face to face basic. She makes you feel like you are the only patient she has. However, on an correspondence level, she is horrible. Her emails are blunt, abrupt, and at times very cold. This is a major disconnect for the emotionally vulnerable patient.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The staff is very nice and personable. However, the higher medical staff is hard to meet with and are very rarely available to see on a non-appointment basis. There are so many branch offices that the doctors are spread thin and a patient does not know when or if they will see their doctor again. There is little medical support nor do I feel like I truly have a personal RE.
Lexington

I really liked Dr. Cook. She was caring and compassionate, and patient when answering my many questions. I did not have any successful cycles, but I don't think that had anything to do with her. I will probably go back to her once my finances bounce back a little bit.... Coastal fertility clinic has a very organized, professional, and compassionate team, from doctors and nurses to the administration staff. They remembered our names and treated us like old friends every time we came in.
Coastal fertility clinic has a very organized, professional, and compassionate team, from doctors and nurses to the administration staff. They remembered our names and treated us like old friends every time we came in. It helped to make the disappointment in needing to be there a more comfortable experience.... I really liked Dr. Cook. She was caring and compassionate, and patient when answering my many questions. I did not have any successful cycles, but I don't think that had anything to do with her. I will probably go back to her once my finances bounce back a little bit.
European, Latino
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Know what you want going in.
Lexington

Dr. Slowey is very knowledgeable and kind. He always made sure we had everything we needed. He made sure I was comfortable during procedures. He answered any questions we had. He never made us wait at our appointments. ... We started with IUI cycles with gonal-f. After my ectopic pregnancy, he recommended we have our tubes rechecked and from there we went straight to IVF using gonal-f and a couple of other meds that I can’t remember the names of.
The entire staff at Coastal Fertility is amazing. They all know your name and your husbands name. My nurse was always so nice and informative giving us demonstrations on how to use the medications and injections. The other nurses always helped out too with blood draws and ultrasounds. ... I did have to re-sign one of my consent forms because they had lost or accidentally shredded the first one. I also had a medication that was last minute getting called in because of a communication error.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions
He always made sure I was comfortable during procedure and made sure my husband and I had all our questions answered.
We started with IUI cycles with gonal-f. After my ectopic pregnancy, he recommended we have our tubes rechecked and from there we went straight to IVF using gonal-f and a couple of other meds that I can’t remember the names of. He had to increase our doses which worked very well to produce plenty of eggs. We also did a frozen cycle. We used Progesterone and estrogen. It was a successful cycle.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is fairly easy to find although the Lexington office is a bit on the small side. It is a clean facility with clean equipment. I do think they could use new ultrasound machines. The office in Mt Pleasant is really nice and big and is also easy to find.
I just remember each IUI cycle was around 2000 and the IVF was around 10,000 in total
He recommended that we only transfer one embryo as we are young and have no obvious issues other than unexplained infertility. We were in agreement with him as we didn’t want to chance the possibility of triplets.
Lexington
Dr. Schnorr now feels like a friend. He was honest and determined from the beginning. He always showed great bedside manner and made us feel comfortable. He was willing to make suggestions and recommendations when promoted and provided excellent care and treatment. ... He gave me a new protocol for round 2 ... I felt like I was treated with car specialized for me.
Coastal is clean and warm. Their bedside manner is excellent. They are organized and have a thurough plan for your treatment. They are sympathetic with your struggles and celebratory with your wins. They treated me like they would a family member. ... I cried when my treatment ended because this team took such good care of me. In fact, I still keep in touch with Heather and Ashley. They answered all my calls, emails, and questions, even when I asked an excessive amount. They were always willing to help me. ...
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Ask questions! Ask advice. Ask his opinion. He will be honest.
I felt like I was treated with car specialized for me. I received several personal phone calls at home from Dr. Schnorr himself.
Our first round of IVF failed. We only had one embryo. He said 95% of patients respond well to that particular “recipe” of medication, and I happen to be in the 5% that doesn’t. He gave me a new protocol for round 2, and we got 7 embryos, all of better quality than the one from the first cycle. We transferred the best one and got pregnant!
Heather and Ashley and everyone at Coastal were amazing. I cried when my treatment ended because this team took such good care of me. In fact, I still keep in touch with Heather and Ashley. They answered all my calls, emails, and questions, even when I asked an excessive amount. They were always willing to help me.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Coastal is clean and warm. Their bedside manner is excellent. They are organized and have a thurough plan for your treatment. They are sympathetic with your struggles and celebratory with your wins. They treated me like they would a family member. I felt like I was in the best care in the US.
We had insurance, and it covered our IUIs. i believe they were $1500 each (not sure if that included meds). IVF was about 18k I think.
I really wanted to transfer 2 embryos, and he told me the risks involved for me personally and my health history. He said it was my choice, but after seeing his rationale, we chose to do 1 embryo.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Schnorr was very patient and through in explaining all the options. He answered all of our questions. I never felt rushed and he made us feel like we mattered to him as patients. When the IUI and IVF treatments were unsuccessful, he called me personally to ask how I was doing and discuss our options. I appreciated the time he took to reach out to me. ... Yeh next month I had another 5 day FET and it resulted in pregnancy and a healthy baby
Strenghts: they [Coastal Fertility Specialists] are very knowledgeable about treatments and options. They are through in all procedures and explainations of procedures. ... The nursing staff was amazing! They updated me every step of the way. They were so compassionate and caring. They checked on me and encourage me. I couldn’t ask for any better people ...
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I would suggest to listen to his advice and trust in his judgement
He took the time to sit and talk with us. He gave us all the options and explained everything in detail
We began with IUI. I am not sure of the medication I was on at the time. I was taking injections to stimulate ovulation and egg growth. We began with this because I felt more comfortable with this procedure for personal reasons. After these attempts were unsuccessful we moved to IVF. Dr Schnorr explained that the Endometriosis was likely causing the IUI to fail and that IVF would bypass this problem. We then moved to IVF. I took injections to stimulate egg growth. I had an egg retrieval and 5 embryos were created as a result. The eggs were frozen. I had a 5 day frozen embryo transfer that was no successful. Yeh next month I had another 5 day FET and it resulted in pregnancy and a healthy baby
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Strenghts: they are very knowledgeable about treatments and options. They are through in all procedures and explainations of procedures. Weakness: This clinic and staff are amazing. We had no complaints
Out of pocket we paid around $20,000
Dr Schnorr prefers to do single embryo transfer because of the risk factors with multiples

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
We were very pleased with Dr. slowly. He made it a point to explain everything that he expected and possible issues that could arise ... Dr. Slowey ordered a hysteroscopy to check for a blocked tube. I was diagnosed with pcos, a blocked tube, and endometriosis. I had a salpingectomy per dr sloweys suggestion. Once healed dr slowey started me on gonal injections.
The entire team [Coastal Fertility Specialists] treated me like a person. Made sure that my husband and I understood everything and were 100% involved. Even though they have seen everything 100 times they never made me feel like I was bothering them by asking. My questions ... Everything is thoroughly explained and everyone’s sole goal is to help you get pregnant! They go through the highs and lows with you and really care about what happens. I would recommend this clinic to anyone who asks.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
We were very pleased with Dr. slowly. He made it a point to explain everything that he expected and possible issues that could arise. I had already been checked by my obgyn for a blocked Fallopian tube but the minute that dr slowly looked at the hysteroscopy he saw the issue. He was very caring and helpful in our journey for a baby!! Now we have a very loving, and happy son because of it.
Ask all the questions you can he is a wealth of knowledge!!
The entire team treated me like a person. Made sure that my husband and I understood everything and were 100% involved. Even though they have seen everything 100 times they never made me feel like I was bothering them by asking. My questions
We had tried for three months on our own and then I went to my obgyn for help as I had always had trouble with my period being abnormal. So he did several months of clomid and letrezole. When that didn’t work my ob refered is to dr slowey. Dr. Slowey ordered a hysteroscopy to check for a blocked tube. I was diagnosed with pcos, a blocked tube, and endometriosis. I had a salpingectomy per dr sloweys suggestion. Once healed dr slowey started me on gonal injections. My body took a large amount of medications to respond. At the end of the first cycle we did an Iui but it didn’t take. We did a second round of medications and an iui and we became pregnant with twins. We had weekly ultrasounds. Week seven we lost one of the babies. We were told that it is very common and that it nature’s way of keeping the stronger of the two babies. Dr. Slowey and his staff were so sweet to us and really tried to help us understand what happened. After that we had a very happy healthy pregnancy!!!!
I loved our nurse and medical technician!!! They were everything to us!
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Most of our cost came from the injectibles.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr Schnorr took time to explain everything, his recommendations, and really listen to our concerns ... We did a Lipton trigger for me as I have a history of hyperstimulation. ... He truly cares about his patient's successes and goes above and beyond to find a way for everyone to be able to conceive. We are so greatful for everything Dr Schnorr has done for us.
They [Coastal Fertility Specialists] are very responsive to questions and very easy to schedule appointments. The only issue some people may have are the shorter hours. They close earlier than most clinics, but since they are a satellite location it's to be expected. ... She [Nurse Heather] is invested in her patients successes and a shoulder to lean on during failure. Could not ask for a better team to assist us in our fertility journey. We love them like family.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Schnorr is amazing! He truly cares about his patient's successes and goes above and beyond to find a way for everyone to be able to conceive. We are so greatful for everything Dr Schnorr has done for us.
Trust his course of action
Dr Schnorr took time to explain everything, his recommendations, and really listen to our concerns as well as go above and beyond to assist us with a procedure insurance didnt cover thar he didn't charge us for.
We did a Lipton trigger for me as I have a history of hyperstimulation.
Heather is amazing! She has been a patient so she knows what it's like to be in her patient's shoes. She is invested in her patients successes and a shoulder to lean on during failure. Could not ask for a better team to assist us in our fertility journey. We love them like family.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Success rates are some of the highest nationally with single embryo transfers. They are very responsive to questions and very easy to schedule appointments. The only issue some people may have are the shorter hours. They close earlier than most clinics, but since they are a satellite location it's to be expected.
3k FET 14k IVF 3k meds
Single embryo is 100% the way to go.

Endometriosis, Other
It was suggested to transfer a single embyro and we did not discuss in any depth a multiple embryo transfer option. Early on Dr. Schnorr provided education on the risks of a multiple pregnancy...At times I felt like his approaches were aggressive and looking back I understand his approach but I lacked the education on infertility, treatment protocols and endometriosis to understand all of his decision making...I was extremely emotional during the consultation to begin treatment and he suggested I see a therapist implying that I was overly emotional.
We did three IUI cycles using letrazole, gonal F injections, ovidrel and prometrium [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]...I have had positive experiences with all nursing staff and especially Andrea. She has been warm, compassionate and prompt in answering questions and returning phone calls...Their anesthesiologist is not contracted and you have to pay for anesthesia up front (usually $400) but they will provide you a form for insurance reimbursement. I was told by the pharmacy that the clinic receives a special rate of gonal f pens which is lower than retail.
Endometriosis, Other
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr explained things thoroughly in terms of my diagnosis and treatment. I was extremely emotional during the consultation to begin treatment and he suggested I see a therapist implying that I was overly emotional. Although I value therapy, I did not want to pursue it and it made me feel as if it was not OK for me to share the emotional impact infertility has had on me with him. At times I felt he became defensive with me when I questioned why I was doing ultrasounds and definitely when we went against his recommendation for our IVF protocol. At times my experiences with him were positive but I preferred interacting with the nursing staff.
Do your own research so that you can be informed and clarify your own expectations. Fertility IQ has been a great resource to fill in the blanks for education the clinic leaves out or to make our own decisions on treatment protocols.
I have never really felt like my personality meshed well with Dr. Schnorr. It could be in part because I have some discomfort working with a male physician. I think that the rest of the staff at Coastal is excellent. At times I felt like his approaches were aggressive and looking back I understand his approach but I lacked the education on infertility, treatment protocols and endometriosis to understand all of his decision making. I often had my guard up due to perceptions that fertility clinics operate as a business and may make recommendations for patients based on revenue. On a few occasions I was called out of the waiting room due to other patients being present with the same first name and being mixed up. At one point a staff member (who I had seen 3 days prior) tried do an intake on me after I had been a patient for about a year.
We did three IUI cycles using letrazole, gonal F injections, ovidrel and prometrium. I was happy with the IUI protocols because adjustments were made each protocol that felt individualized, and we were more aggressive with gonal F each round to increase my chance of success. Although our IUI's were not successful it helped me become more comfortable with the clinic and build trust as I got to know staff and they tailored my protocol. I had friends seeing other doctor's tell me that they were disappointed their doctor had not been open to using a similar medication protocol or that they were using clomid with significantly worse side effects which gave me confidence in my treatment. We started IVF with a sonohysterogram and Lupron in the luteal phase.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Andrea Hall)
I have had positive experiences with all nursing staff and especially Andrea. She has been warm, compassionate and prompt in answering questions and returning phone calls. She shared that she was a fertility patient in the past which is comforting to know. I enjoyed having Sharon as an ultrasound tech because she was gentle and thorough and would explain in detail what the ultrasound readings were.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Coastal has better success rates than other clinics/RE's in the Charleston area. I would definitely recommend fertility treatment there vs. with another doctor or clinic. At times they weren't great at communicating next steps, the reason for procedures or providing thorough patient education.
I had some insurance benefits. We paid about $2200 out of pocket for 3 IUI's which was comparable to what we were quoted. We paid a $6200 cycle fee for IVF and chose not to use insurance benefits for medication and were gives a quote of $3900 out of pocket for medication. Their anesthesiologist is not contracted and you have to pay for anesthesia up front (usually $400) but they will provide you a form for insurance reimbursement. I was told by the pharmacy that the clinic receives a special rate of gonal f pens which is lower than retail.
It was suggested to transfer a single embyro and we did not discuss in any depth a multiple embryo transfer option. Early on Dr. Schnorr provided education on the risks of a multiple pregnancy. Based on research we had done with Fertility IQ we agreed with the decision to transfer a single embryo.
Mount Pleasant

Waking up from surgery [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] I was told they were unable to retrieve any eggs from my right side then proceeded to ask if we did our trigger shot at the right time. Which we did. I was still groggy and waking up, I personally felt like we were rushed out of there unable to ask the questions needed...My husband and I live in Columbia, SC so we were monitored in the Lexington office. The nursing staff as well as coordinators at this location are so so great. We had no issues scheduling or communicating with the Lexington office.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Our experience with Dr. Cook was that she is a caring doctor who does want what is best for the patient. She is very very kind and confident but communicating with her was difficult. It felt like she had a lot of patients to handle.
Make sure you try to communicate as clearly as you can. Ask every question you can imagine.
Felt somewhere in between. At first our relationship was great and she has a very kind and caring bedside manner, but when our retrieval and transfers didn’t go as planned communication was very difficult. We didn’t get many answers and it was hard to get her or my nurse on the phone for conversations. When we tried to call out of respect to explain we were switching doctors we never got a call back. That made us feel like a number.
Will do my best here it's been over a few years. Dr. Cook recommended starting with IUI, we did 3 all resulting in 0 positive pregnancy tests. Medication and protocol was tweaked each round. Here were the meds I was on during those IUI'S- Gonal-F RFF 300IU, Ovidrel 250 MCG, Progesterone 200MG (50 Cap), Letrozole 2.5 MG Tablet (5 tab). If I remember correctly medicine was increased in dosage each IUI round. (especially Gonal, my follicles were slow to grow). IVF Retrieval - Dr. Cook Retrieved 9 eggs (which was not a number we were happy with given I had close to 19 good size follicles my last check up before transfer), 7 fertilized, 2 embryo's made it to day 5, both were frozen for a FET. We were told they were a "good grade" based off their grading system. We did not have them tested, it was not recommended to us because we were young. Waking up from surgery I was told they were unable to retrieve any eggs from my right side then proceeded to ask if we did our trigger shot at the right time. Which we did. I was still groggy and waking up, I personally felt like we were rushed out of there unable to ask the questions needed. Medicine protocol for retrieval- HCG Dilution 100 Units, Cetrotide .25 Mg inj, Gonal F REF #900 IU pen, hCG 10,000 IU dispense 1 vial (trigger), Lupron 4mg/.8 ml trigger kit (did not end up using lupron as a trigger just the hcg trigger), Estrace 1mg 180 tablets, Progestrone in oil 50mg/ml #3- 10ml vials 1ml IM as directed, Prometrium 200 mg #50 insert 1 @ bedtime (as directed). FET #1- Dr. Cook recommended transferring one seemingly healthy day 5 embryo. This resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We were told it was more than likely it was an embryo quality issue Here was our medicine protocol- "Escalating Estrace Protocol CPET" Estrace 1MG tablet 2X/day (am &pm) for 5 days then increase to 2 1mg tablet 2x/day for 4 days then increased to 2mg tablet 3x/day (8 am, 2pm, 8pm) remain on this until otherwise told. They ended up having me do my night time dose vaginally to help thicken my lining, on 13th day begin Progesterone in Oil Injection 1CC am increased to 2x/day the following day until transfer. After Transfer I stopped PM Progesterone Injections and began prometrium one 200 mg capsule vaginally before bed. After our FET #1 Dr. Cook recommended an "endometrial Scratch" to toughen up the lining of my uterus and make it more sticky. She informed us it is a somewhat new procedure that has been shown to help with transfers. We did that before FET #2. Dr. Cook also recommended a round of antibiotics in case there was any inflammation (ie endometriosis) also it is as I understood common to go on after a chemical pregnancy or miscarriage. FET #2- Did not result in a positive pregnancy test. The only difference was adding antibiotic. Medicine Protocol- Started antibiotic first day for 8 days- Escalating Estrace Protocol CPET. Estrace 1MG 2X/Day for 4 days- increased to 2mg 2x/day for 4 days- increased to 2mg 3x/day remain on this until otherwise instructed. 13th day begin Progesterone in Oil Injection 1CC am increased to 2x/day the following day until transfer. After Transfer I stopped PM Progesterone Injections and began prometrium one 200 mg capsule vaginally before bed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky Welch)
My Nurse was Becky she was also a nurse coordinator Nurse Becky was very very kind and friendly. She did make us feel like she cared about us and our outcome. We did feel like she was hard to get a hold of. I would not get phone calls returned in a timely manner (while i was in a protocol calendar). She started emailing so communication was ok for awhile, but then I would send a couple- a few emails with no response. Then we would call with no timely response ultimately have to call the front office for help. it felt as if she had too many patients or was just too busy. Dr. Cook and Becky work out of the Mt. Pleasant office. My husband and I live in Columbia, SC so we were monitored in the Lexington office. The nursing staff as well as coordinators at this location are so so great. We had no issues scheduling or communicating with the Lexington office.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Strengths- Welcoming and professional environment. They seem to be able to get you in for your initial workup and consultation quickly. Nurse and doctors are all very friendly and welcoming making your first visits a lot easier because you feel comfortable. Weaknesses- Communication. There seems to be issues with being able to get anyone on the phone. Which when you are in a treatment cycle can be very stressful if you have a question. In our experience it seems as if we had to call the clinic to keep them on track, ask for results, things to be faxed etc. It almost seems as if they have too many patients and not enough staff to be attentive to everyone which ultimately made us feel like just a number rather than people so we switched clinics.
IUI- $625 (NOT including medicine) IVF- (14,890 Total not including medicine + anesthesia) Stimulation Monitoring $5,339, Retrieval Procedure $2,270, Embryology $4,570, FET $2,165 , med apprx $6,188
I don't ever remember there being a conversation about if we even had an option. We knew it was recommended to do a FET and to transfer one embryo because of our age, but other than that there was not much of a conversation. We should have asked more questions.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
There was just a lot of mishandling with communication. Once we would finally get our nurse or doctor on the phone it was ok. We also had a lot of issues getting paper work and records faxed to our new clinic after we decided to switch clinics. We did feel like they failed to convey critical information after our retrieval. It wasn't they results we wanted or the results they expected either. I was woke up from the procedure and before I could really fully wake up we were told results (they retrieved 9 eggs) but were not able to retrieve anything from the follicles on my right side. We were then asked if we did our trigger shot at the right time, which we did. We felt rushed out of there before we could really ask why or what they think happened. We never got those questions answered either, and we felt that something must have gone wrong but the issue was never addressed.

Male Factor, Unexplained, Other
We discussed the concerns of doing two embryos but felt with my test results two was the best. He [Dr. Michael Slowey] was very good about really looking and talking through this choice...always had time to answer my questions. He never rushed us through. He was very thorough in explaining what was going on and what we would do. He was straight forward, which I liked because I wanted to know the facts and not have a false hope or vision.
I did a fresh transfer with IVF [with Coastal Fertility Specialists]. I did have to take extra days of Gonal F because my eggs didn't grow large enough as fast as expected. I did have a frozen transfer after miscarrying the first baby at 8 and half weeks. We did a D and C with Dr.Slowey. We did genetic testing and found nothing wrong there. We then prepares for a frozen transfer of my last 2 embryos...The nurses in the Lexington office were AMAZING. I remember crying on Heather's shoulder for what felt like forever when we lost our first at 8 and half weeks. She was there for every call and made sure I always knew what was going on. Ashley drew my blood and always spoke to me and remembered things specifically about me. The two made you feel like your were best friends or family.
Male Factor, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is incredibly knowledgeable and very thorough. He does talk quickly sometimes but will slow down when you ask. He never made me feel like I was bothering him asking questions or wanting to know more. He would talk me through everything he was doing or seeing. He explained every step of the way. He is straight forward and would try to be very compassionate but sometimes his straightforwardness could get in the way. I would definitely go back to Dr.Slowey. Even today after having my girl he is so happy to see us visit the clinic and talks about how things are going.
If you need someone to hold your hand and talk sweet and soft to you this is not the doctor. If you want someone who is going to talk to give you the facts and be straightforward this is the doctor for you. Also never be afraid to ask questions! You are not bothering anyone when you do!
Dr. Slowey always had time to answer my questions. He never rushed us through. He was very thorough in explaining what was going on and what we would do. He was straight forward, which I liked because I wanted to know the facts and not have a false hope or vision.
I did a fresh transfer with IVF. I did have to take extra days of Gonal F because my eggs didn't grow large enough as fast as expected. I did have a frozen transfer after miscarrying the first baby at 8 and half weeks. We did a D and C with Dr.Slowey. We did genetic testing and found nothing wrong there. We then prepares for a frozen transfer of my last 2 embryos. I had a live, full term birth in May 2017. Dr. Slowey did say that if I chose to do IVF again he would change some of my protocol because of my lack of response to the medicine during this round. He didn't elaborate on that at the time of the visit. We have not been able to go back to do another round due to money.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
My clinic was great. They were slightly expensive but about average for South Carolina. They had an office here that could do a lot of the procedures except the retrieval and D and C. That had to be done in Mt.Pleasant. the only downfall is they are very large so sometimes it was tough to get in with a doctor to get started but once you were in it was easy.
For my first consultation I believe the testing and all was around 200 dollars but insurance covered many of the blood tests. The IVF was 12,500. I spent 9500 for medicine. I had 800 in two procedures I had to be put under anesthesia but received some.of that back from insurance. My D and C was covered by insurance. The frozen transfer was 3000 but I was given medicine so I didn't not have to pay for those and I had a little left for insurance for that. All in all after 15000 in insurance we paid just under 18000 for everything, 2 transfers, all testing, monitoring, genetic testing and the D and C.
We discussed the concerns of doing two embryos but felt with my test results two was the best. He was very good about really looking and talking through this choice.

2019 - 2020
Dr. Cook is very attentive and answered all my (thousands it feels like) questions. She understands my anxiety with IVF and has been very supportive and helpful... I wish we had more face-time, but I know that is rare these days...Due to my diagnosis of Diminished Ovarian Reserve I am "batching" my eggs. This means that I am doing two back-to-back retrievals before we move to the Frozen Embryo Transfer cycle. My second retrieval is this week! I started each cycle with Testosterone Cream every night and CoQ10 200mg, three times a day. I then took birth control pills for 11-12 days and continued the testosterone. When I started stimulation I took 30 units of microdose Hcg each morning and 400 IU of Follistim each night. After day 4 this was increased to 450 IU of Follistim as I was not responding quickly. Once my follicles were big enough, I injected 250 units of Ganirellix each night (2-3 nights) to prevent ovulation. Omnitrope was added and Pregnyl was my trigger shot.
We have spend over $25,000 to date between consults, testing, genetic testing, medications, and cycles [at Coastal Fertility Center]. Because I am on an aggressive treatment plan, my medications have cost around $10,000...I have only had positive experiences. They are responsive and always on top of things. They are extremely organized and helpful from consult onward...I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Cherub [nurse]. She has been overwhelmingly amazing. I have had terrible anxiety with IVF and she has been there with me every step of the way. She is incredibly caring and responsive. If we ever have our miracle baby, he/she will know Cherub as "Aunt Cherub!"
2019 - 2020
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Cook has been fantastic. I feel comfortable with her, and she takes the time to answer my questions. My second egg retrieval is late this week (eek!) and she has been on top of it. She wasn't on-call when I did my first transfer, but I trusted the other doctor who completed the retrieval as everyone at this clinic is amazing. I wish we had more face-time, but I know that is rare these days.
Don't be afraid to ask ALL the questions. She is very patient and understanding. I was afraid I would sound uninformed or silly, but she never made me feel that way at all. IVF is a lot to take in...it is ok to be inquisitive!
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Cherub. She has been overwhelmingly amazing. I have had terrible anxiety with IVF and she has been there with me every step of the way. She is incredibly caring and responsive. If we ever have our miracle baby, he/she will know Cherub as "Aunt Cherub!"
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Coastal Fertility Specialists have been amazing. I have only had positive experiences. They are responsive and always on top of things. They are extremely organized and helpful from consult onward.
Oh goodness! We have spend over $25,000 to date between consults, testing, genetic testing, medications, and cycles. Because I am on an aggressive treatment plan, my medications have cost around $10,000.
I was defeinitely educted on this by Dr. Cook. Depending on how my second retrieval goes, we may do a multiple embryo transfer because of my diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve. I will not have a lot of embryos, so that might be our best bet!

2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
For my age she [Dr. Heather Cook] will not transfer multiple embryos. She described a number of risks for both the fetuses and my health...genuinely cares about our wishes to start a family and has been flexible in medications and protocol depending on our results. Even when she did not do my last retrieval she was there to pep me up before and was the first one I saw when I woke up. She does the ultrasounds before the retrieval and makes time to talk when I have concerns.
She [nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists] took the time to really walk me through the injections and show me how to do everything. She is very compassionate...I can go in for monitoring appointments anytime during the week from 7-9:30am and they are open weekends also. I can get in and out in 15 min, 30 tops with an ultrasound and no complications...Attain 3 cycle program $28,100...They are efficient, organized, friendly, clean, and knowledgeable. The triage nurses are amazing. It’s a well-oiled machine. The ultrasound techs are happy and friendly and don’t ever make you feel rushed even though you know they are busy.
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She has compassion, is smart, clear in her communication and expectations. She makes us feel like she is doing all that she can to help us achieve our goal in starting a family. She does not make me feel like it is my fault in any way. When I was disappointed in my retrieval results I felt she was disappointed also.
Ask questions and be clear in what you want.
She genuinely cares about our wishes to start a family and has been flexible in medications and protocol depending on our results. Even when she did not do my last retrieval she was there to pep me up before and was the first one I saw when I woke up. She does the ultrasounds before the retrieval and makes time to talk when I have concerns.
Retrieval 1: birth control to regulate cycle, 30iu low dose hcg, cetrotide, 400 units Gonal f, novarel trigger shot. Retrieval 2: birth control to regulate cycle, testosterone cream for egg quality, 200mg x 3 Co-q-10, 30 iu low dose hcg, 400 units Gonal f, cetrotide, omnitrope, novarel trigger shot. Retrieval 3 (in progress): testosterone cream, 200mg x 3 co-q-10, 10units lupron, low dose hcg, cetrotide, Gonal f, novarel, omnitrope
I really like Andrea and she is very knowledgeable about the process of ivf. She has been described by other nurses in her position as “old-school” but not in a derogatory way. She has not been consistent with emailing protocol and uploading my lab results to the online portal which is somewhat frustrating though not detrimental to the process. She took the time to really walk me through the injections and show me how to do everything. She is very compassionate. I was disappointed she did not call to check on me after my second retrieval and I didn’t hear from her until I reached out a week later. Besides communication she has been wonderful.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I can go in for monitoring appointments anytime during the week from 7-9:30am and they are open weekends also. I can get in and out in 15 min, 30 tops with an ultrasound and no complications. When I had a cyst that needed to be aspirated Dr. cook dropped everything she was doing to take care of it herself immediately and I was still out of the office within 1 hr.
Total roughly $40k and still no baby. Am currently in treatment. Attain 3 cycle program $28,100 Anesthesia for 3 retrievals $1350 Medications ~$10k Pregenetic screening not yet paid for Have personal insurance with ZERO coverage for anything. Have spoken with Blue Cross SC multiple times and they offer no independent insurance plans with coverage.
For my age she will not transfer multiple embryos. She described a number of risks for both the fetuses and my health.
Mount Pleasant

After years of "unexplained infertility" it was a breath of fresh air to have a diagnosis within ten minutes of speaking to her, which she then confirmed via ultrasound. ... I was diagnosed with Stage IV endometriosis, and as a result, Dr. Cook offered to skip IUI altogether and go straight to IVF. ... Be direct about your wants/desires, she will listen. ... she started me on CoQ10 to improve egg quality and we saw improvement between my initial ultrasound and my second ultrasound in the number of follicles available.
The medical staff is outstanding, but like most offices the administrative staff has their weaknesses. We had a few billing hiccups that were frustrating, but eventually got taken care of. I believe the quality of embryologists makes a big difference in outcomes, and I believe the embryologists at Coastal [Fertility Specialists] are second to none. All of the nursing staff, ultrasound techs, etc. make a point to get to know you and make you feel at home.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
We loved our experience with Dr. Cook and are so thankful she helped us conceive our miracle. After years of "unexplained infertility" it was a breath of fresh air to have a diagnosis within ten minutes of speaking to her, which she then confirmed via ultrasound.
Be direct about your wants/desires, she will listen.
Dr. Cook always spoke to us in a way that was easy to understand, and she always laid out all of our options in a nice, but direct way.
I was diagnosed with Stage IV endometriosis, and as a result, Dr. Cook offered to skip IUI altogether and go straight to IVF. We weren't financially in a place to try IVF right off the bat, so we opted for two IUI cycles. After the first failed, she adjusted my meds to try and get even more eggs to mature, although it ended up being unsuccessful. We only had to go through one IVF cycle with her, and she was very direct about doing a frozen only cycle, as she believes it's better to allow your body some time to rest after being on all of the hormones for the retrieval. We opted against genetic testing, and transferred one day 5 embryo that was a 5-AA rating. Also, at the beginning of my initial treatment with her, she started me on CoQ10 to improve egg quality and we saw improvement between my initial ultrasound and my second ultrasound in the number of follicles available.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
Becky was always very responsive and caring.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The medical staff is outstanding, but like most offices the administrative staff has their weaknesses. We had a few billing hiccups that were frustrating, but eventually got taken care of. I believe the quality of embryologists makes a big difference in outcomes, and I believe the embryologists at Coastal are second to none. All of the nursing staff, ultrasound techs, etc. make a point to get to know you and make you feel at home.
IVF cost between 15,000 and 20,000; IUI was between 3000-5000
Due to my age, she felt confident we would have good quality embryos and, therefore, only needed to transfer one at a time. Furthermore, she believed it would be difficult for me to carry multiples and did not want to run the risk of transferring more than one embryo and one of the embryos splitting.
Mount Pleasant

Doctor Slowey knows his job and has done a lot of research himself about infertility ... Doctor Slowey is very smart and takes his job seriously. Soon as you consult with him, he is down to business. He wants to get to the issue and get to work. Sometimes this comes off too blunt, but we can appreciate him seriousness. He was very stern on single embryo transfer. ... He is always cordial. ...
Coastal Fertility is excellent at what they do. Their facility and equipment are very up-to-date and maintained. They are always busy and handle the traffic well. They are organized and prompt with returning calls, messages. We have always had a smooth and enjoyable experience there. ... Coastal Fertility nurses are excellent. They are all busy at work and take great care of you.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Doctor Slowey knows his job and has done a lot of research himself about infertility. I completely trust his judgement on our treatments. He can be blunt, but wants you to have an honest, realistic opinion. He is always friendly and genuinely mannered.
Be prepared for worst case scenario. He is honest and wants you to be prepared. Ask questions and be understanding. He knows what’s best and is extremely knowledgeable.
Doctor Slowey is very smart and takes his job seriously. Soon as you consult with him, he is down to business. He wants to get to the issue and get to work. Sometimes this comes off too blunt, but we can appreciate him seriousness. He is always cordial.
Doctor Slowey started us off with a low dose for our first IUI treatment which I appreciate. If overdosed, your cycle is likely to be canceled. He upped that dosage for our second IUI cycle and had the clinic monitor us closer. The cycle was perfect, but didn’t work due to our unexplained infertility. He is now suggesting move straight to IVF for sake of time, money, and emotional state which we agree on.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ribeiro )
Coastal Fertility nurses are excellent. They are all busy at work and take great care of you. They always make us feel welcome and have a smile on their faces. We are always impressed with the atmosphere and their diligence.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Our insurance doesn’t cover any fertility fees. We have paid out of pocket for every single appointment. Their prices were competitive with our local OB. Appointments were to be paid in full as they were administered in Mt. Pleasant. If we had an appointment in Myrtle Beach we could pay it at our next Mt. Pleasant visit which was convenient for us.
He was very stern on single embryo transfer. He explained due to our young age, healthy records, and no past miscarriages. Transferring 2 embryos can lead to a risky/dangerous pregnancy.
Mount Pleasant

He [Dr. Schnorr] was very thorough in explaining all of the hormonal imbalances and the need for IUI to be the best option for me. He was always the one to guide me if the treatment plan shifted, which it did almost every time, until he eventually figured out my correct protocol. If there was one thing to change my only wish would be that he had been slightly more personable rather than strictly professional, honestly I didn’t care though because he is an amazing physician. I felt well taken care of by his medical expertise and I was happy that he seemed to think we wouldn’t need IVF.
Strengths [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]-small, close knit, able to get everything done under the same roof and everything is very routine at the mount p office-you can tell they run like a well oiled machine. I felt very comfortable with the US techs as they were very experienced with their scanning. Also they’re open on weekends which is apparently not every RE office Cons-not much to say other than occasionally the visits took slightly longer than expected but I assumed that was due to the occasional bad news being delivered to other patients
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was very thorough in explaining all of the hormonal imbalances and the need for IUI to be the best option for me. He was always the one to guide me if the treatment plan shifted, which it did almost every time, until he eventually figured out my correct protocol. If there was one thing to change my only wish would be that he had been slightly more personable rather than strictly professional, honestly I didn’t care though because he is an amazing physician. I felt well taken care of by his medical expertise and I was happy that he seemed to think we wouldn’t need IVF.
Come prepared with questions written, he talks fast!
Initially we tried letrozole 2.5mg x days cd 2-5, then with a trigger shot after monitoring-We did an IUi with a 17mm follicle. IUI #1 failed. Then we tried Gonal f 75 stim cd 3-14 and then with monitoring and gradual increases and my body didn’t respond at all, then we took the next month off. Then...he added Gonal f again at 125 daily 3-9 with micro hcg at 30 daily and I triggered a large follicle with 10,000 hcg and had iui that was successful!
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Strengths-small, close knit, able to get everything done under the same roof and everything is very routine at the mount p office-you can tell they run like a well oiled machine. I felt very comfortable with the US techs as they were very experienced with their scanning. Also they’re open on weekends which is apparently not every RE office Cons-not much to say other than occasionally the visits took slightly longer than expected but I assumed that was due to the occasional bad news being delivered to other patients
I had insurance coverage for one IUI cycle and we paid 1000 out of pocket, then we took out a 10k loan for meds and only used 3k of it
Mount Pleasant

Dr. Cook is very approachable and sympathetic. I never felt rushed and she took the time to answer any questions that I had with a lot of detail....Every visit she was pleasant and explained what was going to happen thoroughly. She was easy to communicate with through my assigned nurse and always answered in a timely manner. At the beginning we asked about IVF along with IUI and she was willing and able to give us all of this information up front and explained everything.
The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] looks great and I was always treated like a person and not a number. I was never bunched in a room with 100s of other people. It always felt calm and relaxing. I do not feel that they have any weaknesses. They have an amazing staff and a great facility.... I was assigned Becky during my first visit. This was amazing, since my previous clinic did not do this. Becky gave me documentation of everything that we talked with Dr. Cook about. S
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She took her time and never rushed me with what I was feeling or with the questions I had. Every visit she was pleasant and explained what was going to happen thoroughly. She was easy to communicate with through my assigned nurse and always answered in a timely manner. At the beginning we asked about IVF along with IUI and she was willing and able to give us all of this information up front and explained everything. She did not push us one way or the other, but gave us her advice and let us make the right decisions for my husband and me.
Ask her any question you have, even if you think it is stupid or not important. She is willing to answer anything and takes everything you have to say seriously.
Dr. Cook was the second doctor that we saw, and had already complete Clomid cycles, another fertility drug cycle, and 2 IUIs. We were on the fence about trying other IUI and were looking for more information on IVF. Dr. Cook looked through our records and was surprised about certain tests that weren't run or that they did not do any ultrasound monitoring by our previously clinic and wanted us to run those test and try one more round of IUI with injections and ultrasounds. She understood why we would not want to do another IUI and was happy to give us all the information on IVF that we asked for. After reviewing everything that we talked about with Dr. Cook, we decided to do one last IUI with injections using her as our doctor. This did not work and we have now decided to more forward with IVF.
I was assigned Becky during my first visit. This was amazing, since my previous clinic did not do this. Becky gave me documentation of everything that we talked with Dr. Cook about. She gave us plans to more forward with IUI or IVF. Becky also gave me her email and phone number where I could call or email her at any time.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic looks great and I was always treated like a person and not a number. I was never bunched in a room with 100s of other people. It always felt calm and relaxing. I do not feel that they have any weaknesses. They have an amazing staff and a great facility.
The cost was equal to the cost at the first clinic we went to in Nashville. We paid around $2500 for our IUI with injections and ultrasounds. The estimate for IVF is around $20,000.
Mount Pleasant

Dr. Schnorr is a very knowledgeable, compassionate, and trustworthy doctor. We have experienced nothing but positivity in each of our appointments. He makes sure we understand what we will be doing during each appointment and takes the time to answer any questions. He honestly makes you feel comfortable and knowledgeable during this journey....He is very informative yet has a very warm bedside manner. All of the tests my husband and I underwent he made sure himself that we were comfortable and understood what the test was for.
This is a very popular clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] with an amazing reputation with its doctors, nurses, and other staff. Getting an appointment for a consultation takes a little time, however this is similar to any other clinic. The staff are always friendly, informative, kind, and want nothing but to assist you in your journey....Our charge nurse Whitney Hoertz is amazing. Anytime I have a question or concern she is more than willing to answer. If I call or email she always responds the same day if she’s busy with other patients.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Go to Dr. Schnorr! He is an amazing doctor. You will love him as a doctor if you appreciate being treated as a human and learning all aspects of your infertility journey while having a say in your treatment.
Dr. Schnorr ran a lot of tests and made to cover all bases. Once these tests were complete he not only went over all of the results and what they meant, he also gave us a packet of the information for when we went home. That included what we went over, videos, and numbers and emails we could contact him and our charge nurse. He is very informative yet has a very warm bedside manner. All of the tests my husband and I underwent he made sure himself that we were comfortable and understood what the test was for. Our second opinion consultation lasted three hours. I appreciated that he went through the results and wanted to redo some. He also wanted to complete more results than our prior Dr. Once they were completed he went over our best options and consulted with us to make sure this was what we were wanting. Our previous doctor just wanted to “jump right into IVF”. I appreciate that Dr. Schnorr treats his patients as humans and cares about the outcome of their journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Whitney Hoertz)
Our charge nurse Whitney Hoertz is amazing. Anytime I have a question or concern she is more than willing to answer. If I call or email she always responds the same day if she’s busy with other patients. I appreciate that she knows my husband and I and that we have the same nurse every time and get to build a relationship with her.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This is a very popular clinic with an amazing reputation with its doctors, nurses, and other staff. Getting an appointment for a consultation takes a little time, however this is similar to any other clinic. The staff are always friendly, informative, kind, and want nothing but to assist you in your journey.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Schnorr took time to learn about our personal situation and our beliefs. He asked me what I felt was important to me and my husband. He also explained everything in detail and answered as many questions as I had. ... He researches new protocols and tailors to each individual patient. When I asked him if a different protocol that I had found on the internet would work for me, he took time to explain why he didn't choose that for my particular situation and I ended up having more eggs than we both thought I would get!
The only thing I felt was that when I was just doing timed intercourse or IUI, the level of interest from the staff [Coastal Fert Spec] seemed less. Once I moved to IVF, they became increasingly more friendly and involved. This isn't true for the entire staff but it was noticeable in some. ... Sometimes there would be a 10 minute wait or so but the ultrasound tech is very quick and efficient. ... Andrea [nurse] is amazing. She is patient and kind and treats you almost like her own daughter.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is exceptional. He researches new protocols and tailors to each individual patient. When I asked him if a different protocol that I had found on the internet would work for me, he took time to explain why he didn't choose that for my particular situation and I ended up having more eggs than we both thought I would get!
Take a notepad with you with all of your questions. He will answer each and every one, patiently. He is thorough and will spend as much time with you as you need.
My protocol was testosterone cream for 20ish days that was applied to the inner arm once a day, 10 units of Lupron began 2 weeks before my period. Testosterone was stopped right after my period and 10 units of HCG began and Lupron was dropped to 5 units. I also began Gonal-F at 350 units and stimmed for 11 days. The last two days I was dropped down to 300 units of Gonal-F and then a HCG trigger on day 12. He used testosterone as prime to assist in producing more eggs. He expected 7-8 and I had 11 with 10 that were mature and then 5 made it to blast.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
Andrea is amazing. She is patient and kind and treats you almost like her own daughter. She is there any time I need her, even it is just to talk. Everyone is friendly and gets very excited for you as you move through the process.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is very good. The only thing I felt was that when I was just doing timed intercourse or IUI, the level of interest from the staff seemed less. Once I moved to IVF, they became increasingly more friendly and involved. This isn't true for the entire staff but it was noticeable in some. I originally had Dr. Cook, and she is young and seemed a little less experienced and knowledgeable than Dr. Schnorr. I felt in better hands with Dr. Schnorr and him knowing what exactly I needed.
It was a pretty smooth process. Sometimes there would be a 10 minute wait or so but the ultrasound tech is very quick and efficient.
IVF costs are around $12k without medications and IUI was around $700
He originally suggested two embryo transfer since he thought I would have a limited amount of healthy embryo's and it would give me a better chance that 1 would take. When it was all said and done I have 5 healthy embryos so he suggests only doing 1 to avoid risk of multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
When doing IUI, I was waiting to hear when it would be and I never got a call on whether to keep taking Gonal-F or to trigger. Thankfully, they have a portal so I logged on saw my treatment plan. I was told if that were to ever happen again, to call the nurse on call and she would have helped me.