Genetic counseling: Offered
Wilimington
1500 Medical Center Dr
Wilimington, NC 28401
910-763-9509
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Coastal Fertility Specialists to a friend?

3 doctors
Endometriosis, Other
We did three IUI cycles using letrazole, gonal F injections, ovidrel and prometrium [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]...I have had positive experiences with all nursing staff and especially Andrea. She has been warm, compassionate and prompt in answering questions and returning phone calls...Their anesthesiologist is not contracted and you have to pay for anesthesia up front (usually $400) but they will provide you a form for insurance reimbursement. I was told by the pharmacy that the clinic receives a special rate of gonal f pens which is lower than retail.
Endometriosis, Other
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Coastal has better success rates than other clinics/RE's in the Charleston area. I would definitely recommend fertility treatment there vs. with another doctor or clinic. At times they weren't great at communicating next steps, the reason for procedures or providing thorough patient education.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I have never really felt like my personality meshed well with Dr. Schnorr. It could be in part because I have some discomfort working with a male physician. I think that the rest of the staff at Coastal is excellent. At times I felt like his approaches were aggressive and looking back I understand his approach but I lacked the education on infertility, treatment protocols and endometriosis to understand all of his decision making. I often had my guard up due to perceptions that fertility clinics operate as a business and may make recommendations for patients based on revenue. On a few occasions I was called out of the waiting room due to other patients being present with the same first name and being mixed up. At one point a staff member (who I had seen 3 days prior) tried do an intake on me after I had been a patient for about a year.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Andrea Hall)
I have had positive experiences with all nursing staff and especially Andrea. She has been warm, compassionate and prompt in answering questions and returning phone calls. She shared that she was a fertility patient in the past which is comforting to know. I enjoyed having Sharon as an ultrasound tech because she was gentle and thorough and would explain in detail what the ultrasound readings were.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr explained things thoroughly in terms of my diagnosis and treatment. I was extremely emotional during the consultation to begin treatment and he suggested I see a therapist implying that I was overly emotional. Although I value therapy, I did not want to pursue it and it made me feel as if it was not OK for me to share the emotional impact infertility has had on me with him. At times I felt he became defensive with me when I questioned why I was doing ultrasounds and definitely when we went against his recommendation for our IVF protocol. At times my experiences with him were positive but I preferred interacting with the nursing staff.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Do your own research so that you can be informed and clarify your own expectations. Fertility IQ has been a great resource to fill in the blanks for education the clinic leaves out or to make our own decisions on treatment protocols.
Describe the protocols John Schnorr used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
We did three IUI cycles using letrazole, gonal F injections, ovidrel and prometrium. I was happy with the IUI protocols because adjustments were made each protocol that felt individualized, and we were more aggressive with gonal F each round to increase my chance of success. Although our IUI's were not successful it helped me become more comfortable with the clinic and build trust as I got to know staff and they tailored my protocol. I had friends seeing other doctor's tell me that they were disappointed their doctor had not been open to using a similar medication protocol or that they were using clomid with significantly worse side effects which gave me confidence in my treatment. We started IVF with a sonohysterogram and Lupron in the luteal phase.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I had some insurance benefits. We paid about $2200 out of pocket for 3 IUI's which was comparable to what we were quoted. We paid a $6200 cycle fee for IVF and chose not to use insurance benefits for medication and were gives a quote of $3900 out of pocket for medication. Their anesthesiologist is not contracted and you have to pay for anesthesia up front (usually $400) but they will provide you a form for insurance reimbursement. I was told by the pharmacy that the clinic receives a special rate of gonal f pens which is lower than retail.
Describe John Schnorr's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
It was suggested to transfer a single embyro and we did not discuss in any depth a multiple embryo transfer option. Early on Dr. Schnorr provided education on the risks of a multiple pregnancy. Based on research we had done with Fertility IQ we agreed with the decision to transfer a single embryo.
Mount Pleasant

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

Waking up from surgery [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] I was told they were unable to retrieve any eggs from my right side then proceeded to ask if we did our trigger shot at the right time. Which we did. I was still groggy and waking up, I personally felt like we were rushed out of there unable to ask the questions needed...My husband and I live in Columbia, SC so we were monitored in the Lexington office. The nursing staff as well as coordinators at this location are so so great. We had no issues scheduling or communicating with the Lexington office.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Strengths- Welcoming and professional environment. They seem to be able to get you in for your initial workup and consultation quickly. Nurse and doctors are all very friendly and welcoming making your first visits a lot easier because you feel comfortable. Weaknesses- Communication. There seems to be issues with being able to get anyone on the phone. Which when you are in a treatment cycle can be very stressful if you have a question. In our experience it seems as if we had to call the clinic to keep them on track, ask for results, things to be faxed etc. It almost seems as if they have too many patients and not enough staff to be attentive to everyone which ultimately made us feel like just a number rather than people so we switched clinics.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Felt somewhere in between. At first our relationship was great and she has a very kind and caring bedside manner, but when our retrieval and transfers didn’t go as planned communication was very difficult. We didn’t get many answers and it was hard to get her or my nurse on the phone for conversations. When we tried to call out of respect to explain we were switching doctors we never got a call back. That made us feel like a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky Welch)
My Nurse was Becky she was also a nurse coordinator Nurse Becky was very very kind and friendly. She did make us feel like she cared about us and our outcome. We did feel like she was hard to get a hold of. I would not get phone calls returned in a timely manner (while i was in a protocol calendar). She started emailing so communication was ok for awhile, but then I would send a couple- a few emails with no response. Then we would call with no timely response ultimately have to call the front office for help. it felt as if she had too many patients or was just too busy. Dr. Cook and Becky work out of the Mt. Pleasant office. My husband and I live in Columbia, SC so we were monitored in the Lexington office. The nursing staff as well as coordinators at this location are so so great. We had no issues scheduling or communicating with the Lexington office.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Our experience with Dr. Cook was that she is a caring doctor who does want what is best for the patient. She is very very kind and confident but communicating with her was difficult. It felt like she had a lot of patients to handle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Make sure you try to communicate as clearly as you can. Ask every question you can imagine.
Describe the protocols Heather Cook used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
Will do my best here it's been over a few years. Dr. Cook recommended starting with IUI, we did 3 all resulting in 0 positive pregnancy tests. Medication and protocol was tweaked each round. Here were the meds I was on during those IUI'S- Gonal-F RFF 300IU, Ovidrel 250 MCG, Progesterone 200MG (50 Cap), Letrozole 2.5 MG Tablet (5 tab). If I remember correctly medicine was increased in dosage each IUI round. (especially Gonal, my follicles were slow to grow). IVF Retrieval - Dr. Cook Retrieved 9 eggs (which was not a number we were happy with given I had close to 19 good size follicles my last check up before transfer), 7 fertilized, 2 embryo's made it to day 5, both were frozen for a FET. We were told they were a "good grade" based off their grading system. We did not have them tested, it was not recommended to us because we were young. Waking up from surgery I was told they were unable to retrieve any eggs from my right side then proceeded to ask if we did our trigger shot at the right time. Which we did. I was still groggy and waking up, I personally felt like we were rushed out of there unable to ask the questions needed. Medicine protocol for retrieval- HCG Dilution 100 Units, Cetrotide .25 Mg inj, Gonal F REF #900 IU pen, hCG 10,000 IU dispense 1 vial (trigger), Lupron 4mg/.8 ml trigger kit (did not end up using lupron as a trigger just the hcg trigger), Estrace 1mg 180 tablets, Progestrone in oil 50mg/ml #3- 10ml vials 1ml IM as directed, Prometrium 200 mg #50 insert 1 @ bedtime (as directed). FET #1- Dr. Cook recommended transferring one seemingly healthy day 5 embryo. This resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We were told it was more than likely it was an embryo quality issue Here was our medicine protocol- "Escalating Estrace Protocol CPET" Estrace 1MG tablet 2X/day (am &pm) for 5 days then increase to 2 1mg tablet 2x/day for 4 days then increased to 2mg tablet 3x/day (8 am, 2pm, 8pm) remain on this until otherwise told. They ended up having me do my night time dose vaginally to help thicken my lining, on 13th day begin Progesterone in Oil Injection 1CC am increased to 2x/day the following day until transfer. After Transfer I stopped PM Progesterone Injections and began prometrium one 200 mg capsule vaginally before bed. After our FET #1 Dr. Cook recommended an "endometrial Scratch" to toughen up the lining of my uterus and make it more sticky. She informed us it is a somewhat new procedure that has been shown to help with transfers. We did that before FET #2. Dr. Cook also recommended a round of antibiotics in case there was any inflammation (ie endometriosis) also it is as I understood common to go on after a chemical pregnancy or miscarriage. FET #2- Did not result in a positive pregnancy test. The only difference was adding antibiotic. Medicine Protocol- Started antibiotic first day for 8 days- Escalating Estrace Protocol CPET. Estrace 1MG 2X/Day for 4 days- increased to 2mg 2x/day for 4 days- increased to 2mg 3x/day remain on this until otherwise instructed. 13th day begin Progesterone in Oil Injection 1CC am increased to 2x/day the following day until transfer. After Transfer I stopped PM Progesterone Injections and began prometrium one 200 mg capsule vaginally before bed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
IUI- $625 (NOT including medicine) IVF- (14,890 Total not including medicine + anesthesia) Stimulation Monitoring $5,339, Retrieval Procedure $2,270, Embryology $4,570, FET $2,165 , med apprx $6,188
Describe Heather Cook's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I don't ever remember there being a conversation about if we even had an option. We knew it was recommended to do a FET and to transfer one embryo because of our age, but other than that there was not much of a conversation. We should have asked more questions.
Mount Pleasant

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
I did a fresh transfer with IVF [with Coastal Fertility Specialists]. I did have to take extra days of Gonal F because my eggs didn't grow large enough as fast as expected. I did have a frozen transfer after miscarrying the first baby at 8 and half weeks. We did a D and C with Dr.Slowey. We did genetic testing and found nothing wrong there. We then prepares for a frozen transfer of my last 2 embryos...The nurses in the Lexington office were AMAZING. I remember crying on Heather's shoulder for what felt like forever when we lost our first at 8 and half weeks. She was there for every call and made sure I always knew what was going on. Ashley drew my blood and always spoke to me and remembered things specifically about me. The two made you feel like your were best friends or family.
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
My clinic was great. They were slightly expensive but about average for South Carolina. They had an office here that could do a lot of the procedures except the retrieval and D and C. That had to be done in Mt.Pleasant. the only downfall is they are very large so sometimes it was tough to get in with a doctor to get started but once you were in it was easy.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey always had time to answer my questions. He never rushed us through. He was very thorough in explaining what was going on and what we would do. He was straight forward, which I liked because I wanted to know the facts and not have a false hope or vision.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is incredibly knowledgeable and very thorough. He does talk quickly sometimes but will slow down when you ask. He never made me feel like I was bothering him asking questions or wanting to know more. He would talk me through everything he was doing or seeing. He explained every step of the way. He is straight forward and would try to be very compassionate but sometimes his straightforwardness could get in the way. I would definitely go back to Dr.Slowey. Even today after having my girl he is so happy to see us visit the clinic and talks about how things are going.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
If you need someone to hold your hand and talk sweet and soft to you this is not the doctor. If you want someone who is going to talk to give you the facts and be straightforward this is the doctor for you. Also never be afraid to ask questions! You are not bothering anyone when you do!
Describe the protocols Michael Slowey used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
I did a fresh transfer with IVF. I did have to take extra days of Gonal F because my eggs didn't grow large enough as fast as expected. I did have a frozen transfer after miscarrying the first baby at 8 and half weeks. We did a D and C with Dr.Slowey. We did genetic testing and found nothing wrong there. We then prepares for a frozen transfer of my last 2 embryos. I had a live, full term birth in May 2017. Dr. Slowey did say that if I chose to do IVF again he would change some of my protocol because of my lack of response to the medicine during this round. He didn't elaborate on that at the time of the visit. We have not been able to go back to do another round due to money.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
For my first consultation I believe the testing and all was around 200 dollars but insurance covered many of the blood tests. The IVF was 12,500. I spent 9500 for medicine. I had 800 in two procedures I had to be put under anesthesia but received some.of that back from insurance. My D and C was covered by insurance. The frozen transfer was 3000 but I was given medicine so I didn't not have to pay for those and I had a little left for insurance for that. All in all after 15000 in insurance we paid just under 18000 for everything, 2 transfers, all testing, monitoring, genetic testing and the D and C.
Describe Michael Slowey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
We discussed the concerns of doing two embryos but felt with my test results two was the best. He was very good about really looking and talking through this choice.
Mount Pleasant

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Other
Heather [nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists] was always so calm and positive, I can’t tell you how many times she let me cry in her office before I had to go back to work. She always remembered to call me on days off or email me on days I worked and was great at updates...They forgot to tell me I could get a period during stimulations which caused a bit of a panic for me...The clinic is very comfy and mellow environment but the Charleston clinic that does the procedures really dropped the ball, they had me mistaken for someone else and said my husband needed to give a sample and I panicked thinking they had lost our only frozen sample
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
My dr called me personally multiple times and was always very concerned with my comfort during procedures and very patient answering literal pages of questions that I would bring to appointments
Heather was always so calm and positive, I can’t tell you how many times she let me cry in her office before I had to go back to work. She always remembered to call me on days off or email me on days I worked and was great at updates
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was very thorough in clarifying our goals, understanding our concerns, and updating care plan and interventions to meet our needs. He was very available both phone and email and staff called me multiple times just to check in on me. He was also very good at presenting the facts and our difficult prognosis with compassion
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, he’s very kind and thorough and wants to make sure you feel comfortable with your decisions and plan
My treatment involved a lot of high doses due to my low function, I took hcg, max of gonal F, and another drug that burned a lot. Frequent blood tests and ultrasound to check progress with dose adjustments every 24-48 hours, it was a very specific and personalized approach. We managed to get 15 eggs and 4 good embryos so I’m over the moon
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Well oiled machine and always speedy
Dr Slowey was about half of what we were paying and they had a lot more options
Not to this point yet

2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
She [nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists] took the time to really walk me through the injections and show me how to do everything. She is very compassionate...I can go in for monitoring appointments anytime during the week from 7-9:30am and they are open weekends also. I can get in and out in 15 min, 30 tops with an ultrasound and no complications...Attain 3 cycle program $28,100...They are efficient, organized, friendly, clean, and knowledgeable. The triage nurses are amazing. It’s a well-oiled machine. The ultrasound techs are happy and friendly and don’t ever make you feel rushed even though you know they are busy.
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
She genuinely cares about our wishes to start a family and has been flexible in medications and protocol depending on our results. Even when she did not do my last retrieval she was there to pep me up before and was the first one I saw when I woke up. She does the ultrasounds before the retrieval and makes time to talk when I have concerns.
I really like Andrea and she is very knowledgeable about the process of ivf. She has been described by other nurses in her position as “old-school” but not in a derogatory way. She has not been consistent with emailing protocol and uploading my lab results to the online portal which is somewhat frustrating though not detrimental to the process. She took the time to really walk me through the injections and show me how to do everything. She is very compassionate. I was disappointed she did not call to check on me after my second retrieval and I didn’t hear from her until I reached out a week later. Besides communication she has been wonderful.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She has compassion, is smart, clear in her communication and expectations. She makes us feel like she is doing all that she can to help us achieve our goal in starting a family. She does not make me feel like it is my fault in any way. When I was disappointed in my retrieval results I felt she was disappointed also.
Ask questions and be clear in what you want.
Retrieval 1: birth control to regulate cycle, 30iu low dose hcg, cetrotide, 400 units Gonal f, novarel trigger shot. Retrieval 2: birth control to regulate cycle, testosterone cream for egg quality, 200mg x 3 Co-q-10, 30 iu low dose hcg, 400 units Gonal f, cetrotide, omnitrope, novarel trigger shot. Retrieval 3 (in progress): testosterone cream, 200mg x 3 co-q-10, 10units lupron, low dose hcg, cetrotide, Gonal f, novarel, omnitrope
I can go in for monitoring appointments anytime during the week from 7-9:30am and they are open weekends also. I can get in and out in 15 min, 30 tops with an ultrasound and no complications. When I had a cyst that needed to be aspirated Dr. cook dropped everything she was doing to take care of it herself immediately and I was still out of the office within 1 hr.
Total roughly $40k and still no baby. Am currently in treatment. Attain 3 cycle program $28,100 Anesthesia for 3 retrievals $1350 Medications ~$10k Pregenetic screening not yet paid for Have personal insurance with ZERO coverage for anything. Have spoken with Blue Cross SC multiple times and they offer no independent insurance plans with coverage.
For my age she will not transfer multiple embryos. She described a number of risks for both the fetuses and my health.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other, Unexplained
[Costs at Coastal Fertility Specialists] 47,000$ approximately with IVF (two retrievals, medications, blood work and PGD testing one time )...During our initial consult they seemed so open a "one for all" attitude but it has not seem that way...The nurse Becky was compassionate when crying in her office but I do realize they are very busy and when trying to get phone calls back I had to follow up with a few phone calls. Very nice lady...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Clinic strengths - have shown successes with many people I know Weaknesses - I was told that Coastal fertility do monitoring for patients going to an outside facility. I have tried to pursue this options since deciding with going with our original fertility specialist back home. It has been very hard to get simple blood work done for our PGD testing without Coastal charging 75$ per person (Self and husband) and then 40$ per person for the "blood work" even though I have everything from the test tubes, the prepaid packaging to send to the labs - all I needed was simply to have the blood taken. During our initial consult they seemed so open a "one for all" attitude but it has not seem that way.
I felt like Dr. Cook was somewhat understanding of our current condition but as we need to do IVF with PGD but she suggested we do several back to back retrievals due the autosomal dominant heart disease my husband carriers due to the cost of the PGD testing to "bank" embryos
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Cook was point forward with the steps of IVF but did not have much remorse regarding the cost especially adding on the cost of the IVF. She was able to have a quick explanation of IVF process but did not ellaborate on the medications we will be using or how she was able to count the follicles on my US.
It is a hurry up and wait process. I needed documentation filled out by Dr. Cook and she reported she could get the paperwork done within the next day and it took almost a week in a half to get this valuable documentation but she has been successful with other patients and was easy to talk to during our visit.
IVF with PGD testing but did not go into the medications
eSET with being hopeful to having healthy embryos
North Charleston

The medical staff is outstanding, but like most offices the administrative staff has their weaknesses. We had a few billing hiccups that were frustrating, but eventually got taken care of. I believe the quality of embryologists makes a big difference in outcomes, and I believe the embryologists at Coastal [Fertility Specialists] are second to none. All of the nursing staff, ultrasound techs, etc. make a point to get to know you and make you feel at home.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The medical staff is outstanding, but like most offices the administrative staff has their weaknesses. We had a few billing hiccups that were frustrating, but eventually got taken care of. I believe the quality of embryologists makes a big difference in outcomes, and I believe the embryologists at Coastal are second to none. All of the nursing staff, ultrasound techs, etc. make a point to get to know you and make you feel at home.
Dr. Cook always spoke to us in a way that was easy to understand, and she always laid out all of our options in a nice, but direct way.
Becky was always very responsive and caring.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
We loved our experience with Dr. Cook and are so thankful she helped us conceive our miracle. After years of "unexplained infertility" it was a breath of fresh air to have a diagnosis within ten minutes of speaking to her, which she then confirmed via ultrasound.
Be direct about your wants/desires, she will listen.
I was diagnosed with Stage IV endometriosis, and as a result, Dr. Cook offered to skip IUI altogether and go straight to IVF. We weren't financially in a place to try IVF right off the bat, so we opted for two IUI cycles. After the first failed, she adjusted my meds to try and get even more eggs to mature, although it ended up being unsuccessful. We only had to go through one IVF cycle with her, and she was very direct about doing a frozen only cycle, as she believes it's better to allow your body some time to rest after being on all of the hormones for the retrieval. We opted against genetic testing, and transferred one day 5 embryo that was a 5-AA rating. Also, at the beginning of my initial treatment with her, she started me on CoQ10 to improve egg quality and we saw improvement between my initial ultrasound and my second ultrasound in the number of follicles available.
IVF cost between 15,000 and 20,000; IUI was between 3000-5000
Due to my age, she felt confident we would have good quality embryos and, therefore, only needed to transfer one at a time. Furthermore, she believed it would be difficult for me to carry multiples and did not want to run the risk of transferring more than one embryo and one of the embryos splitting.

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Other
Every member of the staff [Coastal Fertility Specialists] has been kind and understanding, and patiently answered questions. They really make you feel as if they are peraonally invested in your positive outcome. ... Becky has always taken the time to explain and guide use through the process. Again, we have never felt rushed, pressured or dismissed during interactions.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
We have had nothing short pleasant and professional experiences with Dr. Cook and the Coastal Fertility Specialists team. Every member of the staff has been kind and understanding, and patiently answered questions. They really make you feel as if they are peraonally invested in your positive outcome.
Dr. Cook is always willing to answer any question with patience. We have never felt rushed or dismissed during our meetings.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Cook's expertise, compassion, and confidence set us at ease when coming to terms with our infertility. She throughly explained our treatment options, risks, and expectations. We have never felt rushed, pressured, or dismissed during our interactions and meetings.
Communicate with your care team. It is OK to ask questions, any questions, to make informed decisions about your care. Most importantly, be upfront and honest. There is no judgment, only compassion and an obvious desire to help from Dr. Cook.
Our trearment seems to have followed a prerry standard course so far. Prescreenings, labs, an HSG to obtain a visual of any structural issues, and medications. We are in the early stages of the first cycle.
We opted to utilize the Attain 2-cycle program with a possible refund if unsuccessful. Coastal Fertility Specialists has worked with our insurance, and has helped to reduce our out-of-pocket costs wherever possible.
With the cost of IVF, we originally expressed a desire to have multiple embryos transferred during our cycles. After speaking with Dr. Cook, and listening to her explanation of the process and rationales reguarding single vs multiple transfers, we feel confident that Dr. Cook has our best interests in mind when the time comes to choose which route to take.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
They’re [Coastal Fertility Specialists] all great. All members of the clinic are very well organized, knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with. I have no complaints whatsoever with any part of the clinic from the nurses to the billing to the lab techs. ... Whitney, along with all the nurses and staff are fantastic. They’re caring and sensitive to the situation we are in. I can call Whitney with a question and my call is always returned the same day, most time within the hour. I couldn’t ask for a better support system!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They’re all great. All members of the clinic are very well organized, knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with. I have no complaints whatsoever with any part of the clinic from the nurses to the billing to the lab techs.
Dr Cook and her staff are all very supportive and sensitive to my situation. It is hard to not lose hope when you’re dealing with a situation where you wants a family more than anything. They have always been caring and I’ve always felt comfortable to ask them any questions and voice any concerns with a quick and thorough response.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Whitney )
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
While being under Dr Cook’s care, I have always felt like I was in the best possible hands I could be. Our situation is different than some with unexplained infertility. Every month seems to be a new learning experience with how my body reacts to medicines or naturally. She is always right on top of my care and adapting with what fits my needs beat each month. I trust her 100% and have full confidence in her which is so important when you’re dealing with infertility.
Be open and honest and ask as many questions as you have. She is a wealth of knowledge and will make sure you understand completely.
My spouse and I had been trying for almost 4 years with 1 pregnancy which resulted in miscarrriage. After our consult with Dr Cook, we went straight into IUI with GonalF injections 75. Ovidrel shot and IUI. We were blessed with a positive result. We lost our baby girl at 15 weeks due to triploidy. We tried to mimic a second cycle with the same protocol as the first with a negative result. Our third planned cycle, we were unable to utilize our Gonal F as I had a follicle which was already at nature stage with high estrodril levels on CD 5. Our third cycle. We started monitoring right away and injections early to try to preven a repeat of the previous cycle. We grew 2 16s and 2 14s due to her new protocol! We had to aspirate one of the smaller follicles as Dr Cook did not want to risk my health or health of multiple children if all follicles matured to released eggs. Ovidrel shot and IUI.
A cycle of IUI with labs, ultrasound, monitoring and the actual IUI procedure cost approximately $2500.00. This does not include medications.

2008 - 2019
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
I love the north Charleston [Coastal Fertility Specialists] office since it is close to my home and on the way to work for early morning hours. The Mt pleasant clinic is very nice but no easily accessible with the amount of traffic in the area. ... Beth called me after every appointment or procedure to check in and offered words of encouragement. I never waited long and she always accommodated my work schedule.
2008 - 2019
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I love the north Charleston office since it is close to my home and on the way to work for early morning hours. The Mt pleasant clinic is very nice but no easily accessible with the amount of traffic in the area.
This time around, I felt like he listened and was sensitive to the needs and desires for my wife and I. He spent a good amount of time breaking things down to us and answering our questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Beth mengult)
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr was very knowledgeable about my condition and he was very specific using data to help us understand what is needed to get the outcomes we desired. He was able to recall me as his patient from a previous marriage over ten years ago. He congratulated me on significant weight loss while being open and honest with me.
Go in with an open mind and prepare questions in advance.
I had labs drawn in first meeting and vaginal ultrasound to check my uterus and fallopian tubes. Later scheduled HSG in which I discovered I had left tube blocked. I was devastated but he assured expulsion still move forward with iui work the one healthy tube. I have pcos which presents a challenge already so he prescribed a medication regime to stimulate eggs. Once my cycle came on I started seeing the nurse every other day for labs and vaginal ultrasound. All was going well until we discovered my healthy egg was growing on my left side which is blocked. On the gonal f I felt hormonal and emotional, some days I was exhausted and had little appetite. I have limited coverage with my insurance so I'm worried I will not be able to finish this process if I don't produce an healthy egg on my right side in the next few cycles.
The cost is reasonable now. My out of pocket cost are still being calculated by billing. I overpaid for HSG procedure but billing is working on refund to my account.

Anovulation, Unexplained
This clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is definitely busy and big, but it does not feel overwhelmingly big to where it feels like a “fertility factory” or like you get lost in the mass of other people there for treatment. By being assigned to my own nurse it makes the treatment feel very personalized and made me feel comfortable having the same person to touch base with for any questions/concerns.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This clinic is definitely busy and big, but it does not feel overwhelmingly big to where it feels like a “fertility factory” or like you get lost in the mass of other people there for treatment. By being assigned to my own nurse it makes the treatment feel very personalized and made me feel comfortable having the same person to touch base with for any questions/concerns.
I feel like a human at Coastal Fertility in large part because of my nurse, Whitney. She is fast to respond to emails or call me to answer every question I have. Whitney never tells me she needs to look up my file, but rather knows exactly who I am when we get on the phone and has quick responses.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Whitney Hoertz)
Whitney is amazing at responding quickly and compassionately to all of my questions. The rest of the nursing staff is also incredibly friendly and makes me smile every time I’m in there for monitoring.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr seems very knowledgeable and has much better bedside manor than my previous infertility doctor. I do talk to and see my nurse, the phlebotomists, and ultrasound technicians far more than I see Dr. Schnorr himself. I feel more that my nurse is in charge of my care and treatment plan than Dr. Schnorr is as we only saw him during our initial consultation. The IUI that I recently had (my first & only thus far) was performed by another doctor in the practice.
Be prepared to get a lot of information on your first visit and to not see the doctor very much - this hasn’t been something that has bothered me as I feel my nurse has been very knowledgeable and helpful throughout my treatment. But, I do acknowledge that this may not be a style that others like in a fertility specialist.
For my most recent IUI Dr. Schnorr used the lowest possible doses of medications to give room to increase for future treatments if necessary. I take Metformin 500mg 3x/day. At the start of my treatment I took letrozole 2.5mg for CD 3-7, then started 37.5iu injections of Gonal F nightly while being monitored with ultrasounds and bloodwork every couple of days for CD 7-15. I started with a few follicles and ended up with 1 egg at appropriate size for ovulation and IUI. On CD 16 I did the Ovidrel trigger shot for an IUI on CD 18, then began prometrium suppositories on CD 20. We just found out that this cycle did not result in a pregnancy but we are ready to try another cycle with Coastal Fertility for our second IUI
My insurance covered the majority of the costs associated with our IUI cycle and diagnosis.
Mount Pleasant

Coastal Fertility is excellent at what they do. Their facility and equipment are very up-to-date and maintained. They are always busy and handle the traffic well. They are organized and prompt with returning calls, messages. We have always had a smooth and enjoyable experience there. ... Coastal Fertility nurses are excellent. They are all busy at work and take great care of you.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Doctor Slowey is very smart and takes his job seriously. Soon as you consult with him, he is down to business. He wants to get to the issue and get to work. Sometimes this comes off too blunt, but we can appreciate him seriousness. He is always cordial.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ribeiro )
Coastal Fertility nurses are excellent. They are all busy at work and take great care of you. They always make us feel welcome and have a smile on their faces. We are always impressed with the atmosphere and their diligence.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Doctor Slowey knows his job and has done a lot of research himself about infertility. I completely trust his judgement on our treatments. He can be blunt, but wants you to have an honest, realistic opinion. He is always friendly and genuinely mannered.
Be prepared for worst case scenario. He is honest and wants you to be prepared. Ask questions and be understanding. He knows what’s best and is extremely knowledgeable.
Doctor Slowey started us off with a low dose for our first IUI treatment which I appreciate. If overdosed, your cycle is likely to be canceled. He upped that dosage for our second IUI cycle and had the clinic monitor us closer. The cycle was perfect, but didn’t work due to our unexplained infertility. He is now suggesting move straight to IVF for sake of time, money, and emotional state which we agree on.
Our insurance doesn’t cover any fertility fees. We have paid out of pocket for every single appointment. Their prices were competitive with our local OB. Appointments were to be paid in full as they were administered in Mt. Pleasant. If we had an appointment in Myrtle Beach we could pay it at our next Mt. Pleasant visit which was convenient for us.
He was very stern on single embryo transfer. He explained due to our young age, healthy records, and no past miscarriages. Transferring 2 embryos can lead to a risky/dangerous pregnancy.
Mount Pleasant

Strengths [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]-small, close knit, able to get everything done under the same roof and everything is very routine at the mount p office-you can tell they run like a well oiled machine. I felt very comfortable with the US techs as they were very experienced with their scanning. Also they’re open on weekends which is apparently not every RE office Cons-not much to say other than occasionally the visits took slightly longer than expected but I assumed that was due to the occasional bad news being delivered to other patients
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Strengths-small, close knit, able to get everything done under the same roof and everything is very routine at the mount p office-you can tell they run like a well oiled machine. I felt very comfortable with the US techs as they were very experienced with their scanning. Also they’re open on weekends which is apparently not every RE office Cons-not much to say other than occasionally the visits took slightly longer than expected but I assumed that was due to the occasional bad news being delivered to other patients
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was very thorough in explaining all of the hormonal imbalances and the need for IUI to be the best option for me. He was always the one to guide me if the treatment plan shifted, which it did almost every time, until he eventually figured out my correct protocol. If there was one thing to change my only wish would be that he had been slightly more personable rather than strictly professional, honestly I didn’t care though because he is an amazing physician. I felt well taken care of by his medical expertise and I was happy that he seemed to think we wouldn’t need IVF.
Come prepared with questions written, he talks fast!
Initially we tried letrozole 2.5mg x days cd 2-5, then with a trigger shot after monitoring-We did an IUi with a 17mm follicle. IUI #1 failed. Then we tried Gonal f 75 stim cd 3-14 and then with monitoring and gradual increases and my body didn’t respond at all, then we took the next month off. Then...he added Gonal f again at 125 daily 3-9 with micro hcg at 30 daily and I triggered a large follicle with 10,000 hcg and had iui that was successful!
I had insurance coverage for one IUI cycle and we paid 1000 out of pocket, then we took out a 10k loan for meds and only used 3k of it
Mount Pleasant

The clinic has many strengths as to being available for IUI procedures 7 days a week, so there’s never a chance to miss ovulation! Only weakness is I wish that we would have been notified of all the price changes on the upcoming new year. ... Allison has been over the moon amazing! She has answered every single phone call and email in a timely fashion and has always shown compassion and sympathy. She is truly a gem!
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Dr Slowey has always been straight forward with my diagnosis and treatment plan while also providing professional and sympathetic bed manners. I truly appreciate his patience with myself and my partner in our journey to parenthood. He has provided the upmost care to both of us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison R.)
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
When my partner and I had our first consultation in Dec 2017, I was so nervous! I am a plus size patient and was worried he wouldn’t be able to assist me. Though he was extremely patient and guided me in the correct and healthy way to manage my weight so the outcome would be, healthy mom, healthy baby. Once I began losing weight in a timely manner, he showed me so much encouragement to help me continue to better myself so that our future child could have a healthy future.
I wouldn’t say I have any specific advice for Dr. Slowey, but I would have enjoyed seeing him at the Myrtle Beach office where my home is located.
The first cycle of IUI we used ovulation induction with 2.5 MG of Letrozole. Unfortunately an unsuccesful outcome. However we are current in our second IUI with 5 MG of Letrozole and Ovidrel trigger shot.
Unfortunately my insurance did not cover any costs of any preliminary testing or the procedures so every penny came out of pocket. I understand everyone needs to make money, especially a business. It’s a little disheartening to spend thousands of dollars without a larger guarantee of a live birth. We are close to have spent $6000. Unfortunately after two cycles of IUI we may have to take a break and try again in another year.

Anovulation, Male Factor, Immunological
[Coastal Fertility Specialists has] Multiple locations which is nice living in Columbia where there are not many clinics. Had to drive 1.5 hours to get to the transfer and retrieval. Other then that could do everything in Columbia. Clinic is clean and nice decor...You would see whichever doctor was in Columbia that day so you aren't always seeing Schnorr but 2/3 doctors were great and you always had the same nurse. Very helpful in scheduling around your work schedule.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Immunological
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Multiple locations which is nice living in Columbia where there are not many clinics. Had to drive 1.5 hours to get to the transfer and retrieval. Other then that could do everything in Columbia. Clinic is clean and nice decor. Its obvious that when you are paying out of pocket you are getting better treatment. You would see whichever doctor was in Columbia that day so you aren't always seeing Schnorr but 2/3 doctors were great and you always had the same nurse. Very helpful in scheduling around your work schedule.
Very personable but he also didn’t waste your time with small talk
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Cherub)
Best communicator I have ever met. She is firm and to the point but extremely efficient. I loved being able to email a nurse and get a response within 10 minutes. I have never had that with a doctors office before!
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Knowledgeable, and kind. He predicted our numbers based on my age and diagnosis PERFECTLY. That made me feel like he had been doing this for a long time. Had to rely a lot on his staff because of my location but the time sI did talk o him he was honest and to the point.
He will listen to you and take all the time you need to answer questions so have your questions ready!
We were going to try IUI 2 - 3 times but after one failed cycle he was honest and said he didn't think based on husbands numbers we should do a second round. We did anyways for peace of mind and I don't have any regret. Then we did IVF. He suggested a single embryo transfer based on my age 32. He suggest ICSI based on my husbands sperm sample. He suggested frozen transfer transplant based on his success rate.
2k for IUI treatment and medication 14k IVF 3k IVF medication Free consults $200 credit
He said that based on my age 32 I had a 60% chance of implantation. He thought it would be better and less risky to transfer one by one then multiples because of my high implantation chance. We knew it would be more expensive if first transfer doesn't work but we were willing to take the chance to avoid twins.
Lexington

I feel like Coastal Fertility has too many offices. While I benefitted from one of these satillite offices there was some confusion on where my second Fet was. I showed up to an office 2 hours from where my embryo was. ... Coastal has 3 amazing and knowledgeable physicians and wonderful embryologists. The clinic is up to date on all the latest studies.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I feel like Coastal Fertility has too many offices. While I benefitted from one of these satillite offices there was some confusion on where my second Fet was. I showed up to an office 2 hours from where my embryo was. Luckily Dr. Slowey and his team were still able to proceed with the transfer which resulted in my son. Coastal has 3 amazing and knowledgeable physicians and wonderful embryologists. The clinic is up to date on all the latest studies.
Most of my interactions were with a nurse, which was fine, but if I had a direct question I either had to wait for the nurse to get in contact with my doctor or set up an additional appointment (out of my pocket) to discuss things directly with him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather )
Heather was very professional and knowledgeable in her job. The fact that she herself had gone through IVF made me more at ease, she could relate to me. At the time of my egg retrieval I was a full time college student. Heather and her coworkers would go above and beyond to accommodate my limited schedule by opening their doors 15-30 minutes early for me to receive my necessary blood work and scans.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is very professional and knowledgeable. I really enjoyed his bedside manner when i actually got to interact with him. He seems to care and took my wants and desires into consideration when it came time to jump into IVF.
Trust the process and don’t expect to see him every appointment or even every other
I do not remember the exact dosage but I was on birth control, gonal f, cetrotide, Lupron, progesterone (injectable & suppository), estrogen, prenatal. My egg retrieval yielded 30 eggs, 26 fertilized normally and only 4 survived to day 5. pgs results: 2 normal, 1 abnormal 1 mosaic Fet #1: lining was roughly 7mm & we transferred the highest quality of my 2 normal embryos. Resulted in a negative pregnancy test Requested an ERA which discovered we were transferring at the correct time Fet #2: didn’t change protocol lining was roughly 8.5mm. Transferred my last normal embryo. Resulted in a positive pregnancy test, healthy pregnancy and baby.
Weekday monitoring I was given an appointment at my satellite clinic. Saturday monitoring was first come first serve at my satellite clinic. Sunday monitoring was only held at the Mt. Pleasant clinic, first come first serve.
IVF (including 2 Fet’s): roughly $12,000 (I had partial insurance coverage & this does not include medication) PGS: $3,400 ERA: roughly $500
My husband and I were counseled that there were certain scenarios that Dr. Slowey would not transfer more than 1 embryo. In my case he did not feel comfortbale doing so. I was 27 at the time of egg retrieval, had been pregnant a total of 3 times prior with 1 live birth. To top it off we decided to do pgs to decrease our chance of miscarriage. I believe Dr. Slowey 100% made the right call in our case.
Mount Pleasant

This is a very popular clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] with an amazing reputation with its doctors, nurses, and other staff. Getting an appointment for a consultation takes a little time, however this is similar to any other clinic. The staff are always friendly, informative, kind, and want nothing but to assist you in your journey....Our charge nurse Whitney Hoertz is amazing. Anytime I have a question or concern she is more than willing to answer. If I call or email she always responds the same day if she’s busy with other patients.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This is a very popular clinic with an amazing reputation with its doctors, nurses, and other staff. Getting an appointment for a consultation takes a little time, however this is similar to any other clinic. The staff are always friendly, informative, kind, and want nothing but to assist you in your journey.
Dr. Schnorr ran a lot of tests and made to cover all bases. Once these tests were complete he not only went over all of the results and what they meant, he also gave us a packet of the information for when we went home. That included what we went over, videos, and numbers and emails we could contact him and our charge nurse. He is very informative yet has a very warm bedside manner. All of the tests my husband and I underwent he made sure himself that we were comfortable and understood what the test was for. Our second opinion consultation lasted three hours. I appreciated that he went through the results and wanted to redo some. He also wanted to complete more results than our prior Dr. Once they were completed he went over our best options and consulted with us to make sure this was what we were wanting. Our previous doctor just wanted to “jump right into IVF”. I appreciate that Dr. Schnorr treats his patients as humans and cares about the outcome of their journey.
Our charge nurse Whitney Hoertz is amazing. Anytime I have a question or concern she is more than willing to answer. If I call or email she always responds the same day if she’s busy with other patients. I appreciate that she knows my husband and I and that we have the same nurse every time and get to build a relationship with her.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr is a very knowledgeable, compassionate, and trustworthy doctor. We have experienced nothing but positivity in each of our appointments. He makes sure we understand what we will be doing during each appointment and takes the time to answer any questions. He honestly makes you feel comfortable and knowledgeable during this journey.
Go to Dr. Schnorr! He is an amazing doctor. You will love him as a doctor if you appreciate being treated as a human and learning all aspects of your infertility journey while having a say in your treatment.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
The only thing I felt was that when I was just doing timed intercourse or IUI, the level of interest from the staff [Coastal Fert Spec] seemed less. Once I moved to IVF, they became increasingly more friendly and involved. This isn't true for the entire staff but it was noticeable in some. ... Sometimes there would be a 10 minute wait or so but the ultrasound tech is very quick and efficient. ... Andrea [nurse] is amazing. She is patient and kind and treats you almost like her own daughter.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is very good. The only thing I felt was that when I was just doing timed intercourse or IUI, the level of interest from the staff seemed less. Once I moved to IVF, they became increasingly more friendly and involved. This isn't true for the entire staff but it was noticeable in some. I originally had Dr. Cook, and she is young and seemed a little less experienced and knowledgeable than Dr. Schnorr. I felt in better hands with Dr. Schnorr and him knowing what exactly I needed.
Dr. Schnorr took time to learn about our personal situation and our beliefs. He asked me what I felt was important to me and my husband. He also explained everything in detail and answered as many questions as I had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
Andrea is amazing. She is patient and kind and treats you almost like her own daughter. She is there any time I need her, even it is just to talk. Everyone is friendly and gets very excited for you as you move through the process.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is exceptional. He researches new protocols and tailors to each individual patient. When I asked him if a different protocol that I had found on the internet would work for me, he took time to explain why he didn't choose that for my particular situation and I ended up having more eggs than we both thought I would get!
Take a notepad with you with all of your questions. He will answer each and every one, patiently. He is thorough and will spend as much time with you as you need.
My protocol was testosterone cream for 20ish days that was applied to the inner arm once a day, 10 units of Lupron began 2 weeks before my period. Testosterone was stopped right after my period and 10 units of HCG began and Lupron was dropped to 5 units. I also began Gonal-F at 350 units and stimmed for 11 days. The last two days I was dropped down to 300 units of Gonal-F and then a HCG trigger on day 12. He used testosterone as prime to assist in producing more eggs. He expected 7-8 and I had 11 with 10 that were mature and then 5 made it to blast.
It was a pretty smooth process. Sometimes there would be a 10 minute wait or so but the ultrasound tech is very quick and efficient.
IVF costs are around $12k without medications and IUI was around $700
He originally suggested two embryo transfer since he thought I would have a limited amount of healthy embryo's and it would give me a better chance that 1 would take. When it was all said and done I have 5 healthy embryos so he suggests only doing 1 to avoid risk of multiples.
Mount Pleasant

One of my biggest complaints is the amount of times they [Coastal Fertility Specialists] said something to us that was not accurate because they didn't bother to open my chart and read it. ... I really like the way monitoring is set up. It is every weekday morning between 7 and 9am, so it was very flexible. ... The billing department however, could use a major overhaul. I am constantly getting invoice in the mail that were paid months prior, at the time of service.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I love the girls that work at the front desk. They are super friendly and always joking about how they need to at least name a conference room after my husband and I because we are in there so much. I've even connected with a few of the ladies on instagram- again, these people become like family. I ADORE my ultrasound tech, Sharon. She is so precious, always upbeat and so loving. She is the greatest. The billing department however, could use a major overhaul. I am constantly getting invoice in the mail that were paid months prior, at the time of service. We call them very confused and they say "Oh, its an automated billing system" but it has been happening since we started going there in Early 2017.
In the beginning, we loved Coastal, but as the months dragged on, I think their patient volume increased exponentially. One of my biggest complaints is the amount of times they said something to us that was not accurate because they didn't bother to open my chart and read it. Sometimes it feels like they are trying to get as many scans, labs, and consultations done in one day to make the most amount of money.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Mollison)
I absolutely love my nurse, Kelly. We are in constant communication and over the last year and a half, she has become like family. She is always in a good mood, friendly, tries her best to say the right things to make us feel better about negative outcomes, and is very responsive to my emails.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I think Dr. Slowey is a brilliant man. So brilliant that he might ignore or dismiss simplistic items that could improve treatment results. I've had mixed interactions with him ranging from very cold and short to very compassionate. I care more about him getting me pregnant than his bedside manner. But I haven't gotten pregnant yet, so my patience is growing thin.
I would say expect to do things his way in the beginning. I had so many cycles cancelled because he wanted to stick to his protocol. So either be very up front in your initial consultation about wanting an individualized plan or be patient. The problem with being patient though, is that time, money, and precious embryos may be wasted in the process.
IVF 1: Stimming and egg retrieval went well. We got 3 PGS tested normal embryos. The first transfer was cancelled due to my lining not thickening up and we went to transfer (just barely- again, due to lining) the following cycle. This resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We had a consult with Dr. Slowey following that failed transfer and he gave us the option to have the ERA test done, which we decided to move forward with. The ERA revealed that I was pre receptive which indicated adjustments needed to be made for the following cycle. The second transfer failed, after another two cancelled cycles due to my poor lining. I expressed my concern that I felt the protocol I was on was not working for my body, but he wanted to stick with it. We surprisingly moved directly into our third and final transfer for that round (it was our last embryo) which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I felt so frustrated because I felt like my voice wasn't being heard and we ended up losing all of our precious embryos. In Dr. Slowey's defense, he was going off what the ERA told us and wanted to stick with the protocol that gave us that information. I understand that. IVF 2 & 3: My husband and I met with Dr. Slowey after our final failed transfer to discuss next steps. I was very clear in that consultation that I would not do another round of IVF if it entailed the same thing we did for nearly a year. He completely agreed and apologized profusely for all the time and heartache we wasted in the process. I think perhaps his experience with me as a patient has given him a new perspective on what might work for some, doesn't work for all. We decided to batch our second and third rounds because of my age and so that we could get more embryos to work with. We ended up with a combined 9 embryos, which were PGS tested, and only 5 were normal. Dr. Slowey tried a brand new protocol for my frozen transfer prep which entailed completely different medication than the previous 3 transfers. My lining seemed to respond much better right away! We just had our fourth frozen transfer three days ago, so I'm currently in my "two week wait" to see if this new protocol worked for me or not.
Our first round was approximately $10,000, which included insurance assistance. Medication was an additional $1,700, PGS testing was an additional $3,250 and we were charged a "cycle management fee" of $900 per cycle (including all the cycles that were cancelled). Plus $400/yr for embryo storage (which we had to pay right before we lost our last embryo- so messed up). For the second and third round, we did the Attain program which cost $23,000 up front (which covered two egg retrievals, ICSI, embryology, and all frozen transfers), medication was paid for out of pocket for approximately $4,000, PGS testing was $3,250. Monitoring was not included in our Attain program, which was another $2,000-$3,000. Embryo storage $400/yr.
My doctor is adamant about transferring a single embryo when is PGS tested normal because it has a greater chance of splitting. Multiple pregnancies have a higher risk of preterm labor, and other health complications for the mother, and more health risks for the babies.
Mount Pleasant

The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] was clean and comfortable, and all of the staff was very friendly. It didn't feel sterile like a doctors office. It was nice to be able to meet with your nurse to go over your medical plan and then go to the next office to go over your financial plan. Thw financial coordinator worked with the billing department to answer all my questions.... The costs were similar to the other clinics in the area. Monitoring $2327. Case management/retrievel $4630. Embryology $4590. Transfer $3101.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic was clean and comfortable, and all of the staff was very friendly. It didn't feel sterile like a doctors office. It was nice to be able to meet with your nurse to go over your medical plan and then go to the next office to go over your financial plan. Thw financial coordinator worked with the billing department to answer all my questions.
Dr. Schnorr was very compassionate and confident that he could help me. He does what is best for his patients instead of batching then like other doctors. He answered all of my questions candidly. He was going to be on vacation the day of my egg retrieval, and he called me personally a few days ahead of time to let me know that he wouldn't be there. He talked about my how my cycle was going and told me about the doctor who would be doing the retrieval. Dr. Schnorr always called me personally with my PGD results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jan Missledine)
My nurse was quick to make my schedule, call in refills on medication, and send me orders to have blood drawn at my local hospital instead of LabCorp.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr is so kind and compassionate. I saw him for a second opinion, and my husband and I were so impressed that we started a cycle with him less than a week later. He read my record and clearly explained why he believed my first cycle at another clinic failed. He explained what he would do differently and took all of my feelings into account when he made my protocol.
Don't hesitate to see Dr. Schnorr! I would recommend doing your initial consultation at the main office, even if your monitoring will be at a satellite office.
I had previously done a microdose lupron flare protocol with another doctor. I ended up with OHSS and all PGD abnormal embryos. Dr. Schnorr changed my protocol and had me use an LH trigger. I didn't get sick, and all of my embryos tested normal. He also liked to wait an extra day for the eggs to have more time to mature.
My doctor recommended not doing PGD testing and transferring two embryos. I really wanted the PGD, and when rgey tested normal, he put only one in.
Mount Pleasant

The clinic itself [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is clean, efficiently ran from what I can tell, and has good success rates. I've had good experiences overall. The only weaknesses I've experienced are the ones already described....Communication with patient concerns could use improvement. The billing needs to be linked between the different offices better. Had a small issue with billing, but did get it resolved with a phone call.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic itself is clean, efficiently ran from what I can tell, and has good success rates. I've had good experiences overall. The only weaknesses I've experienced are the ones already described. Communication with patient concerns could use improvement. The billing needs to be linked between the different offices better. Had a small issue with billing, but did get it resolved with a phone call. However, I caution new patients to pay attention to your bill, and make sure you aren't getting charged for tests or procedures you didn't actually have.
I feel she has not individualized my care. I feel she has not tried to be very aggressive with getting me pregnant. As if she feels I'm hopeless due to my age and weight and has not dug deeper into why it might not be working.
My primary nurse was not always good about returning emails or phone calls. She started out great but soon after I constantly had to call again or email again to get answers. She was always nice when I did talk to her, though. Nurses and ultrasound tech at the monitoring office I went to (Columbia office) were excellent. Also, when I had to speak to another nurse when my primary nurse was away, they were always great as well.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I feel as if she hasn't taken individual circumstances into consideration. I feel like she's not attempting to dig deeper into why I'm not conceiving. I don't feel like she really cares if I get pregnant and maintain pregnancy. I've brought up health concerns she doesn't feel the need to address. I feel more as if I'm just a way to get more money, via IVF. She hasn't been all bad though, she is nice enough and returns calls when asked. But I just don't feel as if she is "in my corner" on my conceiving and maintaining a pregnancy to a live birth.
Give her a try but if you're not 100% comfortable then find someone who will be a good fit for you
Letrozole cycle and a gonal-f cycle to encourage follicle growth. Trigger shot (Ovidrel) to induce ovulation prior to IUI. Both were unsuccessful.
It's expensive, but probably only slightly more than average. IUI itself was $650, but that doesn't include meds, ultrasounds, labs, or donor sperm. It was slightly less expensive at another clinic.
Mount Pleasant

The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is organized and well-run. I have never waited more than 10 minutes for my appointments. It is clean, quiet and the staff get along well (or at least they appear to do so). There is a financial consultant on staff to help with financial concerns as well.... The nurses are the best part of this facility.... Close to $40k for 8 rounds of Clomid, 1 IUI, and 2 rounds of IVF under the Atain insurance program (including monitoring and meds)
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is organized and well-run. I have never waited more than 10 minutes for my appointments. It is clean, quiet and the staff get along well (or at least they appear to do so). There is a financial consultant on staff to help with financial concerns as well.
I like that Dr. Slowey is very matter of fact. But his one-on-one meetings sound rehearsed rather than personalized. Once we got to the very end of the meeting before he realized he had the wrong person's information page up on his computer. There is very little interaction with him -initial consult and after treatment failures are the only time you will talk to him. There is no effort made to let you know if he will not be the one there to perform your procedure himself. Out of all the procedures I've had done, he only has done one of them himself - otherwise, I've seen the other doctors from the practice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison)
The nurses are the best part of this facility.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I always came away with the impression that Dr. Slowey is extremely knowledgeable in the field of fertility. I trust him with my care. I like that he is conservative in his approach and very well-informed. But the level of personalized care you receive from him leaves a lot to be desired. You rarely see or talk to him, and when you do, it is rushed and seems like he is rushing through your allotted time so he can move along to the next thing he has to do that day.
If you are looking for personalized, in-depth conversations and emotional guidance during your fertility treatment , this is probably not the right doctor for you. If you are more interested in no-nonsense, get-to-the point, knowledge and protocol-centered experience, then Dr. Slowey is a good choice.
Dr. Slowey is very conservative. He will suggest single transfer unless you have unique circumstances.
Mount Pleasant

My care coordinator [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] is Nurse Kelly and she has been awesome so far. In clinic she was able to answe every question we had or she was able to find an answer before we left the clinic. She helped us find the cheapest way to get our lab work done. She has replied back to every annoying email I have sent her while we wait and has emailed all of our lab orders to us the day we requested since we live two hours away. The nursing staff at our appointment was also amazing. Everyone made us feel very comfortable during a very vulnerable time.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
As a new patient myself, only having one in clinic visit so far, I only have great things to say. Check in was easy and quick, we were called back within ten minutes of arriving, we never felt uncomfortable. The doctor and clinic were generous enough to waive the freeze fee for us since it was an unexpected decision. I truly have nothing negative to say so far, I hope it stays that way!
Dr. Slowey was pretty blunt with us to begin with and at first we felt like a number. He didn’t seem to show much empathy of the fact that we wanted to try IUI but it just wasn’t an option according to their clinic. Once we got my husbands semen analysis back and Dr.Slowey saw the drastic decline in numbers and the instant heartbreak his attitude changed. He began to bond with us on a personal level and once we said we would have to pass on IVF because it was out of our price range, he immediately made the decision to freeze my husbands sperm and waived the fee to freeze it. He also waived another fee for one of the tests for us. We realized then that we were not just another number to him, but two people he felt like he can help.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly)
My care coordinator is Nurse Kelly and she has been awesome so far. In clinic she was able to answe every question we had or she was able to find an answer before we left the clinic. She helped us find the cheapest way to get our lab work done. She has replied back to every annoying email I have sent her while we wait and has emailed all of our lab orders to us the day we requested since we live two hours away. The nursing staff at our appointment was also amazing. Everyone made us feel very comfortable during a very vulnerable time.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
At first Dr. Slowey did not seem to show much empathy but as our appointment went on and the discussion of not being able to afford IVF came up how personality shifted. He showed compassion and explained that he knew what it felt like to be in our position. He seems To be incredibly knowledgeable and was able to answer every question we had. Although we have only had one appointment thus far, we are looking forward to our appointments in April and hopefully starting the IVF process then as well. Dr. Slowey made us genuinely feel as though he wanted us to start our family as much as we do ourselves.
If male factor infertility (what our case is), be patient. Dr. Slowey will not start the IVF process until both male and female have had labs done, male has had genetic testing done and has gone to see the urology specialist recommended by Dr. Slowey. Very frustrating wait but I can appreciate covering all of the bases.
Initial visit, intrauterine ultrasound, semen analysis, all lab work, all covered by insurance. $400 for anesthesia for egg retrieval. Approx $11,800 for ivf with ICSI. $3,250 for embryo biopsy and PGD/PGS testing. We do not have a cost for medications yet as we are still awaiting for other test results.

6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Ask questions and do research on your own about coverage and finances. I don’t think the staff [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is educated on financial options and coverage because I got most of my financial tips from the doctor. Most of the staff is kind and welcoming. One of my interim nurses wore flip flops in the office which really annoyed me.... They did forget to put me on the schedule multiple times for monitoring but they always fit me in and my biggest issue was my paperwork was given to someone else and I got hers with all her personal information and insurance information.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Ask questions and do research on your own about coverage and finances. I don’t think the staff is educated on financial options and coverage because I got most of my financial tips from the doctor. Most of the staff is kind and welcoming. One of my interim nurses wore flip flops in the office which really annoyed me.
He definitely has a very pragmatic approach and is encouraging.
I had my regular nurse but she was on leave when I went through the process and felt very tossed around wit the nurses. There was a ton of miscommunication that I finally had to ask to speak only to dr schnoor about my protocols. There is a nurse who would do my u/s and she was amazing. Very encouraging and thoughtful. I felt like a team with her. When my other nurse returned she was there for retrieval but she made me feel like a burden.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is very detailed and thorough. He doesn’t over promise but remains very positive. He was there every step of the way and really made sure I knew the whole process. He would follow up with me personally and I never felt rushed with him. He also tries to be financially respectful.
Do research and bring questions. I think regardless of who you see it is very important to ask questions and don’t be afraid to ask about failed cycles and finances. We typically don’t like to discuss but it is a big investment and he understands that.
I did 6 unmedicated iuis to reduce risk of multiples. Then I moved to ivf. I did retrieval one year ago transfer the next year. When I was on my retrieval protocol I was started on a very low dose and had to quickly change as I was not responding. I used low dose hcg in the morning and then added gonal f a few days in in the evening and then ganirelix to prevent early ovulation. I did this for about 17 days before getting my ovidrel shot to get my eggs retrieved. Because I’m petite I think he was worried about ohhs but I needed larger doses as I was not responding.
It was fairly organized. A few hiccups but overall easy.
I have probably spent 30k overall. With storage, iuis, appointments, procedures etc
Because I’m single it was recommended that I do 1 transfer.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Other
The clinic itself [Coastal Fertility Specialists- Mount Pleasant] is set up like a day spa. The staff is extremely nice and accommodating. The whole experience is wonderful. The Charleston office is bigger than the Lexington office. I prefer the Lexington office.... Cherub Hutto is very knowledgeable and helpful. Easily reachable. She can be a little dry at times.... It’s a little pricey. For our one FET cycle, it’s almost 15 thousand dollars. This does not include medications, ERA biopsy, or PGS testing.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic itself is set up like a day spa. The staff is extremely nice and accommodating. The whole experience is wonderful. The Charleston office is bigger than the Lexington office. I prefer the Lexington office.
She is the most patient, empathetic doctor I’ve been to. Makes all the difference when you’re going through something as difficult as infertility/recurrent pregnancy loss. Her confidence gives ME confidence that it will happen for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Cherub Hutto)
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She’s empathetic, extremely intelligent, confident, and gentle. I couldn’t ask for a better RE. I have experienced 6 losses, have had 4 surgeries and 3 D&C’s, and have gone through infertility for 3 years. My previous RE was less than ideal. I have no doubt in my mind that she will give us our baby. Zero.
Ask as many questions as you want to. She will listen and answer for as long as it takes for you to leave feeling knowledgeable and comfortable.
Blood work to rule out other causes of miscarriage. Saline infusion sonogram and HSG- was diagnosed with one blocked tube. Hysteroscopy- diagnosed with Asherman’s syndrome post-uterine septum removal. IUI- failed. Another hysteroscopy to check for scarring- no scarring but she removed a little more septum. Am currently in the process of taking stim meds for IVF.
Dr Cook strongly believes in only transferring one embryo unless she and medical history dictate it to be completely necessary to transfer two.
Mount Pleasant

The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is modern, clean, and comfortable. The staff is attentive, courteous, and do their best to move your appointment along, answer any questions, and make you feel welcomed. The only thing I don't like is the terrible waiting room music - 70s light rock.... My Care Coordinator and the nursing staff are all extremely kind and sweet, and very, very compassionate. Most of them experienced some kind of infertility themselves, and have empathy and understanding of what I'm going through.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is modern, clean, and comfortable. The staff is attentive, courteous, and do their best to move your appointment along, answer any questions, and make you feel welcomed. The only thing I don't like is the terrible waiting room music - 70s light rock.
Dr. Schnorr explains everything in great detail. Each time we have an appointment to see him, we have to wait longer than we should...and he talks really fast like he's trying to fit it all in, but also end the appointment quickly so he can get back on schedule.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Andrea Hall )
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr is an excellent, knowledgeable doctor. He explains everything in great detail, and will ask for questions multiple times. He does talk a bit fast though, I always feel rushed at our appointments. When I had some tests done (a dye test of my ovaries and fallopian tubes), he was very kind and made me as comfortable as possible. He is a very upbeat, a straight-shooter, and down to earth.
Don't let him rush you; ask all the questions you need to make sure you understand.
I was prescribed Gonal F injections, as well as an oral mediation to help promote ovulation (I can't remember the name). My right ovary needs more shots to respond than my left, so dosages are different, depending on which side I'm ovulating from. I would take a trigger shot when it was time to ovulate, and then we'd perform the IUI, with progesterone vaginal inserts to promote implantation. My first IUI resulted in my son in 2016. I naturally conceived in 2017, but it was ectopic and miscarried naturally. I went back to Dr. Schnorr, and we have started IUI treatments (the same course as before) with no success. We are about to begin our 3rd cycle.
Testing: bloodwork, thyroid, hormone levels, fallopian tube dye test, sperm count and motility, vaginal ultrasound - approximately $3500 and I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility. My IUIs (meds and insemination) cost between $1000 and $1500, depending on which ovary is active that cycle.
Mount Pleasant

We had an amazing experience! The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] provided quick, efficient care during appointments. The financial department was organized and had everything laid out for us. There were no surprises in terms of bills. This was something we had a difficult time with at a previous clicnic that we had been to, so we were so relieved to see how organized it was with Dr. Schnorr and his staff.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
We had an amazing experience! The clinic provided quick, efficient care during appointments. The financial department was organized and had everything laid out for us. There were no surprises in terms of bills. This was something we had a difficult time with at a previous clicnic that we had been to, so we were so relieved to see how organized it was with Dr. Schnorr and his staff.
He really took the time to explicitly review all the information. We never felt rushed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jessica and Beth)
Jessica and Beth were the nurses that I worked with. Jessica was my primary nurse and Beth did my blood work and ultrasounds at the satellite location. (Which is amazing my the way!) They were both incredibly compassionate and helpful. They returned phone calls within hours and reported blood work within hours.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
We really appreciated Dr. Schnorr’s ability to create a well balanced patient/doctor relationship. He was able to show compassion, but also be direct and honest with all the information. We always felt very comfortable knowing exactly what the next step was.
It can be an intimidating appointment to make, but was once you go and meet with Dr. Schnorr, you will feel at ease and will be ready to start your journey!
After meeting with Dr. Schnorr, we knew that we were ready to jump right into the procedures. We started with the birth control and then advanced into the injections. He mentioned that because of my age (35) we would be somewhat aggressive with the meds. He also recommended genetic testing, which we agreed would be a good choice. After the round of injections, my retrieval was completed with Dr. Slowey, who did a fantastic job. We retrieved 16 eggs, which is the most I had ever retrieved before with my previous IVF cycles at another practice. Out of 16, 12 made it to the final stage. We sent the 12 off for genetic testing and 6 came back as “normal”. We were very happy with the results. Dr. Schnorr transfered one embryo and it took the first time! I’m currently 27 weeks pregnant and we couldn’t be happier with the quick and relatively easy process.
We did have some questions about transferring one embryo versus two embryos. Originally we had wanted to put in two embryos, however after talking with Dr. Schnorr, we felt that one would be a better option. He explained explicitly the process with genetic testing and how it offered a much better chance of having a successful transfer and pregnancy. We’re glad that we went that route because having multiples would most likely have been a much harder pregnancy, considering I had preeclampsia with my first child.

2013 - 2018
Overall everyone we interacted with [Coastal Fertility Specialists] from billing to techs to the nurses and doctor were thorough, well spoken, compassionate, and professional ... Allison [nurse] explained the steps of each cycle well as we approached each step. She was thorough as well as compassionate. Each person we interacted with from billing to techs were rooting for us, easy to communicate with, friendly and professional.
2013 - 2018
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Biggest weakness for me was location as it was 50 min from home. They have recently added an additional office for testing which made the 2018 visits much easier. Overall everyone we interacted with from billing to techs to the nurses and doctor were thorough, well spoken, compassionate, and professional
I felt as though he treated us and not just our diagnosis. When we had a failed cycle he called to express his sympathies and celebrated with us when we were successful. He spoke respectfully and answered any questions we had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ribiero )
Allison explained the steps of each cycle well as we approached each step. She was thorough as well as compassionate. Each person we interacted with from billing to techs were rooting for us, easy to communicate with, friendly and professional.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was clear with recommendations as far as treatment and why. We didn’t feel rushed during our visits and explained pros and cons. When a cycle did not result in a pregnancy he discussed recommendations moving forward and expressed his sympathies. While we were going through our first IVF cycle I might have appreciated an additional consult or two as part of the cycle but overall was very satisfied.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and be involved
Initially he recommended IVF due to low sperm count and morphology. When my husband had a higher count as a result of hormone treatments (hcg), we tried an IUI. Unfortunately it was canceled as all of the eggs were growing on the side where I had a blocked tube. So we moved forward to IVF/egg retrieval. I used Follistim in attempt to stimulate egg growth. Dosage varied. This was after a cycle of BCP. I responded well to the protocol (I don’t remember specifics as it was 2013) and they retrieved 23 eggs which resulted in 10 embryos all rated 4 aa/ab/bc. We did a fresh transfer of two day 5 embryos and it resulted in a positive test with a live birth of fraternal twins. In 2018 we returned for a frozen embryo transfer. The cycle involves a round of birth control and then estrogen and progesterone. Estrogen for 12 days starting with 2 per day for 5 days, 4 per day for 4 days and 6 per day for 3 days. Afterwards there was an ultrasound to check the lining. Then began progesterone suppositories in addition to estrogen until transfer day. This was called the escalating estrogen protocol. Our first cycle we transferred one embryo. I remained on progesterone throughout at 3 per day. This cycle was negative. We attempted the next cycle the same way , transferred two embryos and the cycle was negative. A third two embryo transfer resulted in a positive test and live birth of fraternal twins.
Including medications the IVF cycle was around 11,000. Each FET was 3,101 not including medications. Embryo storage was 200 per year for 2 years and 300 per year afterwards.
Initially it was recommended I transfer only one embryo in 2013 given my age and risks of multiple pregnancy. In 2018 I chose a single transfer at first and for the next two cycles he expressed he would be comfortable transferring either one or two.

Anovulation, Other
They [Coastal Fertility Specialists] are very busy a ... I have nothing bad to say about the clinic, the financial advisor was straightforward and helpful and everyone on the admin staff and nursing staff was amazing. ... The nursing staff were all compassionate, responsive, organized, and supportive. I felt like they were all on my team and really cared about my outcome of treatment.
Anovulation, Other
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They are very busy and sometimes I felt that my doctor wasn't especially invested in my case but other than that I have nothing bad to say about the clinic, the financial advisor was straightforward and helpful and everyone on the admin staff and nursing staff was amazing.
At times doctor Schnorr seemed rushed when talking with me and did not elaborate or go into as much detail as I would have liked about my underlying cause of infertility and all of my options. My nurse Jessica was always very responsive to all of my questions and compassionate in the way she helped me throughout the process. Dr. Schnorr was always supportive and gentle in his communication with us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jessica wilkerson )
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr seemed to explain information as he would to someone with absolutely no knowledge of fertility or biology. This makes sense for many patients but I felt frustrated by it at times because I came in with a good amount of knowledge and understanding of fertility and wanted more information. He was always very gentle in his communication with us and listened to my desire for bypassing less effective approaches like reducing exercise and stress and waiting a year or two. At times between cycles I had questions the nurse wasn't sure about and Dr. Schnorr called me himself and I liked that he was willing to give that personal attention to my concerns.
Ask questions and ask about ALL of your options, he can be aggressive in the treatment approach and may not provide information that he doesn't think you will understand.
The first two IUI cycles was femara with gonal f injections with IUI and the third was injectables only (gonal f) with IUI. I am currently doing injections for my fourth IUI before moving to IVF. My understanding is that this is his approach due to my anovulation stemming from hypothalamic issues.
I have state health insurance with a lifetime maximum of 15,000 the first two IUI cycles we paid about $1,000 out of pocket and the third and fourth closer to $1,500. At this time we have used over $7,000 of our lifetime maximum.
I wish now that he would have started with femara or clomid only with timed intercourse to reserve our insurance lifetime maximum.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Everyone in the [Coastal Fertility Specialists] office was very caring. Even though we live more than 2 hours away, they answered all the questions every time I called if I wasn’t sure of the process. They were also very efficient and thorough...is a top notch facility. Going through the fertility checks can be awkward, but they made us feel very at ease and were very reassuring. The staff and doctors are some of the kindest and most compassionate I have ever seen.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Coastal Fertility is a top notch facility. Going through the fertility checks can be awkward, but they made us feel very at ease and were very reassuring. The staff and doctors are some of the kindest and most compassionate I have ever seen.
I am 40 years old and have never had children. I have been trying for years and decided to consult with Coastal Fertility and was happily greeted by a wonderful staff in the front office, and during our consult I expected to be rushed like most doctors do to get to the next patient, but I was pleasantly surprised that my husband and I sat down and was explained everything thoroughly and was given time to ask any questions and had Dr. Slowey undivided attention. We felt like we were his only patient!
Everyone in the office was very caring. Even though we live more than 2 hours away, they answered all the questions every time I called if I wasn’t sure of the process. They were also very efficient and thorough.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey was very compassionate, but honest with his answers to all of our questions and concerns. When all seemed hopeless, he was reassuring about our struggle with infertility.He was very thorough and caring.
Ask any questions and about any concerns, he will take the time, no matter how long it takes, to explain everything.
My husband and I went to Coastal for a consultation and had a follow up for checkup but have yet to complete the process due to the financial cost. We due not qualify for the infertility coverage our insurance offers due to the fact that my husband had a vasectomy during his first marriage. We saved up $7500.00 to have a reversal done in 2016 but it did not work out. We are waiting to complete the process in the future when we can cover the cost of IVF out of pocket. We are looking forward to eventually continuing with Coastal Fertility and Dr. Slowey in the future.
Mount Pleasant

they [the staff at Coastal Fertility Specialists] were knowledgeable, compassionate, and I felt that they really wanted to see us succeed. We didn't have any reasons for our losses, and progesterone suppositories seemed to do the trick for us, so we didn't have to undergo extensive treatments here. But we were happy with our experience...She [nurse] was great, answered my questions, and didn't make me feel crazy for asking a lot of questions.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Just like with any doctor/physician be your own advocate still - but they were knowledgeable, compassionate, and I felt that they really wanted to see us succeed. We didn't have any reasons for our losses, and progesterone suppositories seemed to do the trick for us, so we didn't have to undergo extensive treatments here. But we were happy with our experience.
She took time to talk to me, got me the tests I needed quickly, and called me herself when we got a positive pregnancy test with a high HCG. I felt like they really wanted me to succeed and knew how much it meant to me/my husband.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky Welch )
She was great, answered my questions, and didn't make me feel crazy for asking a lot of questions.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I thought she was very competent and compassionate. She told me the tests they do for RPL, we did those as quick as we could, and got the results back with really no explanation as to why I had the two miscarriages. I had read about low progesterone could cause it which was something we weren't really able to test, and asked it I could take that while trying. She allowed me to, and wanted me to start at ovulation. I did this and was pregnant the second month with the baby I'm carrying now. We are halfway through! I would say her just ruling out what could be wrong was great for my confidence. She was very knowledgeable.
Continue to be your own advocate and read, ask questions, but know she is on your side!
All I ended up being on was progesterone suppositories at ovulation through the first trimester. I was discharged after my baby was 8 weeks. She ran the whole RPL panel on me, and nothing came out that would be causing my RPL. That is why I asked to use progesterone. I also was told I could take a daily baby aspirin. I was lucky enough not to have to do any further in depth treatments.
My insurance covered a good bit of the tests we had run, so we just had to pay my co-pays, and then % after that until we reached deductible. I didn't think the costs were astronomical.
Anovulation, Unexplained
If there is one thing I could change about Coast Fertility, the billing department would it. Honestly, it's awful--in all of their offices. The Charleston office told me I had a $600 credit then sent me a bill for $800. The Columbia office billing specialist was just charging me random amounts, when confronted she said she didn't know how much to charge me.... The wait times were often aggravating--that's when it felt like you were a number and not a human.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
If there is one thing I could change about Coast Fertility, the billing department would it. Honestly, it's awful--in all of their offices. The Charleston office told me I had a $600 credit then sent me a bill for $800. The Columbia office billing specialist was just charging me random amounts, when confronted she said she didn't know how much to charge me. Bills would come often with varying costs. I always paid same day of service so I'm not sure why the charges were so different/high. They always had excuses on why billing was never accurate. Was also told that they wouldn't discuss a loan option with me since insurance paid for some parts of treatment which is an unfair decision since they didn't know what insurance would pay and my financial situation. Honestly, the billing department would be the main reason I would not go to Coastal. It's too stressful in an already stressful enough situation.
Dr. Cook and her staff were attentive and walked us through the process throughly. Infertility is such an emotional process, there were some times I felt like a number instead of a human. That could have been due to all of the hormones, lack of patience, or the unknown. The wait times were often aggravating--that's when it felt like you were a number and not a human.
I dealt with the nursing staff the most. Some days they were really busy and rushed, other days they were attentive with sometime showing favorites with patients. Heather was very knowledgeable but at times was very flat in her compassion. Emotions run high through this process so it's important to have self-awareness.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Cook explained each procedure in detail, gave handouts, and even drew the process when the explanation became overwhelming. She always allowed plenty of time for to discuss any concerns and she encouraged questions. Sometimes when meeting her, the session could feel rushed. Patients can combat that by being as prepared as possible. I wish I had the opportunity to see her face-to-face more often, I am a patient at one of their satellite offices.
She is very kind and warm. Don't be afraid to ask questions, she encourages them and is very detailed in her responses.
Three IUI attempts with varying medication protocols before moving to IVF. First IUI was just oral medication, with the second and third IUI requiring oral and injectable medications.
Billing was never accurate or straightforward. I would say IUI without medication was around $1700.
Dr. Cooks approach is multiple embryo transfer (FET)
Myrtle Beach

The staff [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is caring and eager to help you achieve your dream of becoming a parent. They took the time to get to know me on a personal level so I would feel comfortable despite the invasive and painful procedures for which I was there. One weakness is their lack of returning phone calls. On several occasions, I left messages and was never called back. I had to keep calling to get my questions answered.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Coastal Fertility is an excellent facility. The staff is caring and eager to help you achieve your dream of becoming a parent. They took the time to get to know me on a personal level so I would feel comfortable despite the invasive and painful procedures for which I was there. One weakness is their lack of returning phone calls. On several occasions, I left messages and was never called back. I had to keep calling to get my questions answered.
She was kind and sympathetic to our situation. She told us the potential risks, but also kept us positive that she thought this course of treatment would end with us having a baby. She showed genuine care and concern for us and our baby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jan)
Jan was helpful and sweet. However, at times it was difficult to reach her when I had questions or concerns.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Cook was excellent at explaining what we should expect throughout the process. She told us her opinion, but allowed us to make the final decisions. She was kind and hopeful. She made us feel comfortable like we were talking to a friend. She was respectful and encouraging.
You’re in good hands!
My husband had low morphology and motility so Dr. Cook recommended ICSI over traditional IVF and IUI because it would take the male infertility issue out of the equation. The result was 11 out of 13 eggs made it to day 5 embryos. Those embryos were frozen to allow my body to shed the lining of my uterus before implantation. This was decided because research shows the hormones I took to increase egg production can make a woman’s uterus less welcoming for pregnancy. The result was a beautiful baby boy born 9 months later.
I made sure I was there at 7am when the clinic opened so I could be the first patient of the day. I would usually be in and out in 30-40 minutes which then still allowed me to get to work on time.
I believe the ICSI process, including monitoring, egg retrieval, and embryo transfer was about $6,000. We also paid another $2,000 for medication. In addition, it cost another $1,000 for preliminary testing before we settled on ICSI.
Mount Pleasant

Coastal is clean and warm. Their bedside manner is excellent. They are organized and have a thurough plan for your treatment. They are sympathetic with your struggles and celebratory with your wins. They treated me like they would a family member. ... I cried when my treatment ended because this team took such good care of me. In fact, I still keep in touch with Heather and Ashley. They answered all my calls, emails, and questions, even when I asked an excessive amount. They were always willing to help me. ...
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Coastal is clean and warm. Their bedside manner is excellent. They are organized and have a thurough plan for your treatment. They are sympathetic with your struggles and celebratory with your wins. They treated me like they would a family member. I felt like I was in the best care in the US.
I felt like I was treated with car specialized for me. I received several personal phone calls at home from Dr. Schnorr himself.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather Clayton)
Heather and Ashley and everyone at Coastal were amazing. I cried when my treatment ended because this team took such good care of me. In fact, I still keep in touch with Heather and Ashley. They answered all my calls, emails, and questions, even when I asked an excessive amount. They were always willing to help me.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr now feels like a friend. He was honest and determined from the beginning. He always showed great bedside manner and made us feel comfortable. He was willing to make suggestions and recommendations when promoted and provided excellent care and treatment.
Ask questions! Ask advice. Ask his opinion. He will be honest.
Our first round of IVF failed. We only had one embryo. He said 95% of patients respond well to that particular “recipe” of medication, and I happen to be in the 5% that doesn’t. He gave me a new protocol for round 2, and we got 7 embryos, all of better quality than the one from the first cycle. We transferred the best one and got pregnant!
We had insurance, and it covered our IUIs. i believe they were $1500 each (not sure if that included meds). IVF was about 18k I think.
I really wanted to transfer 2 embryos, and he told me the risks involved for me personally and my health history. He said it was my choice, but after seeing his rationale, we chose to do 1 embryo.
Lexington

she was ready to give a protocol with out even looking at my results....that made me question how they [Coastal Fertility Specialists] decide to move forward each treatment cycle...seemed it was just what they do with everyone...no personalization ... weaknesses...not many financial options for uninsured... some interactions over all would be cold ( interactions inconsistent) and an overall feeling of pretentiousness with the location, decor...etc...would rather be simple down to earth to make me feel like they are not overcharging for profit but actually trying to help fulfill dreams. ...
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Strengths are communication and speedy appointments...always in and out. Some people I interacted with where extremely helpful...energetic and nice...weaknesses...not many financial options for uninsured... some interactions over all would be cold ( interactions inconsistent) and an overall feeling of pretentiousness with the location, decor...etc...would rather be simple down to earth to make me feel like they are not overcharging for profit but actually trying to help fulfill dreams.
Felt everything was black and white...very routine in the approach each time I went in....a few times caught mistakes made by staff...never given an apology nor did they try to comfort us, make up for it, make it right, etc. it was an approach of ..." that's just how it is". Financial consultant was not very warm and was very negative...wasn't given many options over all....felt we needed to stay with the protocol they use for every patient...never seemed personlized to my condition or past cycles or issues...
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Mary I think? Don't think she's there anymore? She made a few mistakes and wasn't very energetic towards making me feel confident, motivated, excited, etc....very lackluster and she didn't seem to enjoy what she did.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She was a little overly direct and came across as negative and uncaring to my husband and I. I appreciated her straightforward approach, but given the emotion involved...felt she could show a little better bed side manner especially during the consult. My later interactions with her ( though few), did get better, but her protocol for each treatment was never explained to me...they just upped my dose.
Show more warmth during the consult. Be straightforward but give hope and offer options, even if you don't think it'll work. Explain each protocol for each treatment personally to give the opportunity for the client to ask questions.
Basically gonal f injections for each IUI procedure. Upped dose each time...my eggs ended up developing to quick...I always seemed to over respond ( maybe due to DOR) and once ovulated too early and missed that one...was very frustrating. Also had a saline sonogram by another dr. who said I was clear and and went ahead with first IUI only to find out I wasn't ( had polyps), so we just waisted a lot of money on treatments and protocols that were unclear and not explained...
3 medicated cycles and a surgery for polyp removal equaled about 7k
No experience with this....couldn't afford to go on to do IVF yet

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Everything a this clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] was smooth, including monitoring appointments. They’re flexible with your work schedules (to an extent, obviously), and were always able to do bloodwork and ultrasounds in a VERY quick and efficient manner. ... One of the greatest things this clinic offered was a support group for women that met once a month. I only went a handful of times but I wish I had gone more.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
One of the greatest things this clinic offered was a support group for women that met once a month. I only went a handful of times but I wish I had gone more. It was a wonderful safe space to cry, share stories, and even laugh about the painful journey we were all on. It was lead by a nurse named Cheryl who was so incredibly caring. I adored her. When I came back to visit when my daughter was a toddler, she recognized me and gave me a big hug. And I wasn’t even her patient! It’s that support and attention that makes that office truly special.
Dr. Schnorr always gave me attention and warmth that I needed during our appointments. I wasn’t just a patient filling a time slot in his day. He showed compassion with every failed cycle, and excitement when we finally graduated from his clinic. And when we brought our toddler in to visit, he remembered us. He is truly special.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Monique Bucher )
I can’t say enough good things about Monique (Mo). Although she no longer works there, she was such a vital and positive part of my fertility journey. I remember initially thinking she wasn’t warm and fuzzy enough for me (islets be real, I need warm and fuzzy), but after each negative pregnancy test, it was so evident that she genuinely felt sorry for my husband and me. We grew close and I shed many tears in her office. She never made me feel rushed to get to her next patient and always listened to me (with tissues in hand). She was wonderful.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is very caring and attentive. He remembers details about his patients, which is quite rare for a doctor. He can also relate to his patients, as he and his wife had to precious undergo fertility treatment themselves, which I think gives a level of understanding that most doctors do not have. I was recommended to Dr. Schnorr by a friend and I passed on referrals to other friends as well.
Not to rush the process. He may not be aggressive, but he gives you the treatment plan with the most success.
I wish I could remember... but I do remember he was most focused on being successful— as in a patient bringing home one healthy baby. I remember feeling a little discouraged that he only wanted to transfer one embryo because u had gone through so much so I felt like I should have the options of having twins! However he told me many times that that isn’t the safest way to become a parent. Looking back, I’m very appreciative that he has that less aggressive (but more successful) approach!
Everything a this clinic was smooth, including monitoring appointments. They’re flexible with your work schedules (to an extent, obviously), and were always able to do bloodwork and ultrasounds in a VERY quick and efficient manner.
Each IUI was around $750. I believe IVF costs were around $11,500. We spent about $15,000 for our total costs. Our health insurance covered medication costs.
Dr. Schnorr was very set on doing a single embryo transfer. However, come transfer day, I was devastated to find out that out of the 4 embryos thawed, two didn’t make it and two only made it to a grade of “good.” He informed me that our best chance of pregnancy would be to transfer both, and I ended up having a healthy singleton. But I am so glad he initially took the conservative approach to only wanting to do a single transfer.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
They [Coastal Fert Spec] were accommodating, explained all the steps fully, and ultimately helped us have our dream baby. All of my interactions with all staff members were helpful and left me with knowledge of the next steps and most importantly, hope. ... Becky was my lifeline through all the small, daily steps. She had compassion, a sense of humor, and a respect for how painful the process could be. She was also incredibly positive when it was desperately needed.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Other than the distance from my home, I think this clinic was wonderful. They were accommodating, explained all the steps fully, and ultimately helped us have our dream baby. All of my interactions with all staff members were helpful and left me with knowledge of the next steps and most importantly, hope.
Dr. Slowey walked us through the whole process - diagnosis, treatment, potential outcomes. He educated us while not talking down, and his kindness on the day of transfer can't be matched.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey provided comprehensive and detailed medical knowledge about my diagnosed condition. When my husband's fertility issues also came into play, he respectfully and kindly addressed the next steps. He was respectful of our time and the distance we were traveling to see him/go through this process, along with the financial piece. He was compassionately honest when things didn't work, or when they weren't going the way he hoped.
Be prepared to get a whole lot of information!
Dr. Slowey was the first to diagnosis my PCOS which explains a long history of various medical issues I had. He also treated a low-grade thyroid issue with Synthroid. We did 4 rounds of IUI with Gonal-F injections. 1 round was planned sex, the next 3 were full IUI cycles. When those were not successful (and my husband's low quality sperm count became apparent as well), IVF was discussed. Gonal-F was used again, along with ICSI on the retrieved eggs. We had a day 3 fresh transfer of my only 2 good looking embryos after an initial egg count of 6 (4 which fertilized).
Portions of IUI were covered under my insurance (monitoring appointments and beginning testing). Otherwise we paid out of pocket for all medications, and the whole IVF process.
Dr. Slowey was adamant that no more than two embryos (preferably one) would ever be transferred to decrease the risk of higher order multiples. Even during the IUI cycles, he was cautious about the number of eggs I would be releasing.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
My primary, Allison, was amazing. With vacations and days off I did see 2 other nurses. We primarily communicated via email [Coastal Fertility Specialists\ the month before my cycle. Once IVF began and I was getting calls from her every other evening. She was great with working as best we could around my work schedule and with drive times to the main office since we lived almost 2 hours away.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They were great! One of the highest live birth rates I’ve heard of. Compared to friends treatments the cost is reasonable. And they work within your schedule and have additional satellite offices that were closer to me so I didn’t have to travel all the time.
Dr. Slowey always used my name. He was always very compassionate but honest. He prepared us for the worst yet always made us seem like everything was going to be ok!
My primary, Allison, was amazing. With vacations and days off I did see 2 other nurses. We primarily communicated via email the month before my cycle. Once IVF began and I was getting calls from her every other evening. She was great with working as best we could around my work schedule and with drive times to the main office since we lived almost 2 hours away.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
We had be battling our insurance (my husband is active duty military) and been fighting on where and how to start treatments. My doctors never ran some tests on me and we could have my husband properly treated or even seen. When we had a consult with Dr. Slowey he was caring yet I think he could tell I was done with the run around and I wanted answers. He was upfront yet his delivery of the information was amazing. I left the office that day knowing we were finally in great hands!
Go sooner rather than waiting for another doctor trying to figure it out. We wasted years on GYN and urologists appointments and never got anywhere.
In 2016 our cost for IVF was just under $10,000 and that included ICSI and all of our appointments. Not the cost of injectable medication I (the female) would need. My medications were an additional charge and based on how my body responded to the medication. That for me was about an additional $5000 total with a 25% discount through a discount company. The information was provided to me for that discount from our doctors.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Strenghts: they [Coastal Fertility Specialists] are very knowledgeable about treatments and options. They are through in all procedures and explainations of procedures. ... The nursing staff was amazing! They updated me every step of the way. They were so compassionate and caring. They checked on me and encourage me. I couldn’t ask for any better people ...
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Strenghts: they are very knowledgeable about treatments and options. They are through in all procedures and explainations of procedures. Weakness: This clinic and staff are amazing. We had no complaints
He took the time to sit and talk with us. He gave us all the options and explained everything in detail
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr was very patient and through in explaining all the options. He answered all of our questions. I never felt rushed and he made us feel like we mattered to him as patients. When the IUI and IVF treatments were unsuccessful, he called me personally to ask how I was doing and discuss our options. I appreciated the time he took to reach out to me.
I would suggest to listen to his advice and trust in his judgement
We began with IUI. I am not sure of the medication I was on at the time. I was taking injections to stimulate ovulation and egg growth. We began with this because I felt more comfortable with this procedure for personal reasons. After these attempts were unsuccessful we moved to IVF. Dr Schnorr explained that the Endometriosis was likely causing the IUI to fail and that IVF would bypass this problem. We then moved to IVF. I took injections to stimulate egg growth. I had an egg retrieval and 5 embryos were created as a result. The eggs were frozen. I had a 5 day frozen embryo transfer that was no successful. Yeh next month I had another 5 day FET and it resulted in pregnancy and a healthy baby
Out of pocket we paid around $20,000
Dr Schnorr prefers to do single embryo transfer because of the risk factors with multiples
Lexington

The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] was very clean and professional and I felt like they knew what they were doing...We had a storm coming and instead of showing compassion about my worry that all this money and pain would all be for nothing, as I wouldn’t be able to do the iui she [the nurse] basically said tough that’s life I can’t control the weather. Even if there was nothing that could be done, her approach was terrible. It was the most vulnerable I ever felt and I would leave the meeting with her feeling sad and not hopeful. She was the only negative I take away from the clinic. Some people do jobs for too long.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
So wonderful, I went to both of their clinics and they are clean and professional and wonderful. The Lexington clinic is a little far out for me as well as Charleston but worth it. The waiting rooms weren’t cold and uncomfortable either .
He was very direct and helpful, my only complaint was the nurse I had for the entire process. She wasn’t the kindest and made me not comfortable. This was a lot of money and hope and many other feelings and she wasn’t very sensitive to that. It could of been a much better experience.
She made me feel ridiculous for having concerns. We had a storm coming and instead of showing compassion about my worry that all this money and pain would all be for nothing, as I wouldn’t be able to do the iui she basically said tough that’s life I can’t control the weather. Even if there was nothing that could be done, her approach was terrible. It was the most vulnerable I ever felt and I would leave the meeting with her feeling sad and not hopeful. She was the only negative I take away from the clinic. Some people do jobs for too long.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was direct and effective. We didn’t waste time, which was important to me. I went in August for consult and was pregnant by October. The clinic was very clean and professional and I felt like they knew what they were doing.
Train your head nurse to be more empathetic.
First they checked my husbands sperm and once that checked out I went and got my Fallopian tubes checked. I did have to travel further for that procedure. The experience was good though, minus having to have a catheter put in. The clinic had me with different doctors though so I did not see Dr. slowey for that. Then I was on medication and shots. I got my blood drawn and ultrasound every 3 days to make sure my follicles were growing. Then I was instructed to use a trigger shot. There was a storm and the head nurse told me they wouldn’t be able to do my iui if the hurricane hit. That we would have to try again. So I ovulated a day early without the trigger shot and just had intercourse instead of the iui and we got lucky.
I truly don’t remember it was a couple thousand and then meds were 200-300$ I was suppose to get iui which was another thousand but didn’t end up needing it.
Lexington

They [Coastal Fertility Specialists] scheduled me very promptly for a consultation, within a month of calling...They handled my insurance with expert adeptness, minimizing our costs and even going above and beyond to help me with a billing issue that arose when I chose to do bloodwork closer to home for one of my betas. The doctors do rotate procedure days, so Dr Slowey did two of my IUIs, but they're both excellent doctors. For my second attempt to conceive, i did my monitoring at a satellite office in Bluffton, which was not nearly as smooth of an experience.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They scheduled me very promptly for a consultation, within a month of calling. My first go round, I went to the office in Charleston, which was brutal because it was a 2 hour drive there, but the office runs like a well oiled machine and my appointments were always quick and easy. While the drive was rough, the office support system was just what I needed when I was most emotionally vulnerable. They handled my insurance with expert adeptness, minimizing our costs and even going above and beyond to help me with a billing issue that arose when I chose to do bloodwork closer to home for one of my betas. The doctors do rotate procedure days, so Dr Slowey did two of my IUIs, but they're both excellent doctors. For my second attempt to conceive, i did my monitoring at a satellite office in Bluffton, which was not nearly as smooth of an experience. I had to get my blood work done at LabCorps, which often had a 1+ hour wait and usually lost my blood work order so I had to print copies. It was worth it to not drive 2 hours each way but only slightly when I was waiting 1-2 hours for blood work anyway. The experience was much better in the main office than the satellite office.
Dr Schnor explained the whole process himself, taking time to cover our options and the chances they gave us in his opinion. He then let us choose to do an unmedicated IUI before moving on to meds because I was so nervous about fertility meds, which was in retrospect very supportive of him because I know his success rates for unmedicated IUIs can't be great. When we returned to try to conceive a second child, he was visibly thrilled to meet our son that he helped us conceive and he tailored our plan to maximize insurance coverage while also using the plan that worked the first time (going straight to injectables).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jan Missildine)
Jan was empathetic and warm, prompt to respond and helpful in sorting out numerous issues with the lab where I had blood work done. She treated me and my myriad questions with respect and intelligent consideration. I did not like one of the nurses I met with when Jan was out of the office, however, and despite asking not to be assigned to her again, I continued to see her whenever Jan was absent. I cannot remember her name, but she had a way of making my every worry three times bigger (when I mentioned I was nervous about potentially conceiving twins, she started telling me that I had a 30% chance of twins, a 5% chance of triplets and "we've only had one set of quads" - whoa wasn't even thinking about triplets and quads, thanks lady) and making me feel like a cycle had failed before we even started ("Wow, the doctor said you have a 15% chance? That's way higher than we usually see with IUIs! So after this cycle, we will move on to IVF.") She was not my favorite person.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Schnorr was always kind and patient, never rushed us. He always explained why we were doing a certain course of treatment, what his recommendations were, and our chances of success. He was direct and honest but also warm in how he discussed our treatment.
Know that he won't sugar coat things. He'll be kind but he won't give you false hope if he doesn't think you have good chances. And that's a good thing.
We started with unmedicated IUI because I was afraid of fertility drugs as an unexplined infertility patient. He had recommended Femara IUI because he said in his experience people our age with unexplained infertility have a 5% chance per cycle on their own, 5% more with meds, and 5% more with IUI, so he wanted to combine it all for best chance of success. After one failed IUI, we moved on to Femara + Follistim TI cycle to maximize insurance coverage (at the clinic's recommendation). Then we did a Femara + Follistim IUI, and finally we did a Follistim IUI that resulted in a healthy singleton pregnancy. When we returned to conceive again, we did one Follistim TI cycle at the doses that worked the first time, and that resulted in a healthy singleton pregnancy.
I seem to remember IUI cycles cost us $900 - $250 for a monitored cycle administrative fee and $650 fee for the IUI (I may not have those numbers perfect, and it was 2014). They did a great job working with our insurance and finding loopholes to get medication and monitoring covered.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
The care I received [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] was outstanding. Everyone knew my name. We had an assigned nurse, who communicated with us clearly and quickly. Dr. Slowey spent all the time we needed explaining everything we asked, and answered us candidly. He told us what to expect, not falsely positive nor negative. Straight answers, with a lot of compassion and a bit of hope. It's clean, modern and nice. We were always taken on time, never made to wait. It is very discreet. New patients and those coming for a procedure don't cross paths. These guys are really organized! It was as nice as any fancy car showroom I've been to :)
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Since we were (probably) going to be spending the equivalent of a fancy sports car, it seemed only fair that the services and care should be on par, don't you think? Coastal Fertility excels here. We had been to a well known clinic in NY, in a depressing building, with a creepy waiting room. It was cold and scary. The doctor (highly rated by some) was the opposite of compassion. You could tell it was just a business for them. Not so at Coastal. It's clean, modern and nice. We were always taken on time, never made to wait. It is very discreet. New patients and those coming for a procedure don't cross paths. These guys are really organized! It was as nice as any fancy car showroom I've been to :)
The care I received was outstanding. Everyone knew my name. We had an assigned nurse, who communicated with us clearly and quickly. Dr. Slowey spent all the time we needed explaining everything we asked, and answered us candidly. He told us what to expect, not falsely positive nor negative. Straight answers, with a lot of compassion and a bit of hope.
The staff was amazing. The followed us on all the ups and downs, cheering us on (discreetly), and being especially sweet when things did not go well. They were always gentle and upbeat. Kelly was a fantastic communicator, always giving me the info when she said she would. I never had to wait. She knew I liked more info, so made sure to provide me with what I wanted to know. No question was too little. She knew our case well, and made sure we got everything we needed.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is compassionate and no nonsense. He deals in facts and science, but will also tell you what he doesn't know (and there is a lot the doctors do not know in infertility!). He is not "touchy-feely", but yet is very kind and gentle. We were always getting new bad news (not their fault, just facts) and he never hid from telling us the truth, yet told us gently. He's a great doctor, has a tremendous amount of experience and cares about his patients.
Do not expect to fed rainbows - he will tell you the truth, even if it means not having you as a patient. That said, he is also willing to try/test certain theories, but not if he doesn't have any evidence that they will work (and not without making sure you understand what is going on). The staff will give you the hugs - he will give you his expertise, with a mix of hope and compassion too.
600 IU Ubiquinol for 3 months before starting. IVF 1: micro flare (short Lupron) protocol started with birth control pills Results: suppression did not work, "broke through" Lupron. Cycle cancelled. IVF 2: Antagonist Protocol w/Cetrotide No birth control given (too strong) - used Estrace before stims instead. Results: 6 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized. Day 3 transfer of 3 embryos (4th arrested on Day 4). Positive pregnancy - saw heartbeat - miscarriage at 9 weeks IVF 3: Antagonist Protocol w/Cetrotide (same as #2) Results: 5 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. Day 5 transfer of 3 Morulas (no blastocytes). Remaining 2 arrested Day 5. Negative pregnancy
Monitoring was easy and as pleasant as it is ever going to be. We were told to show up in a time frame (for example, between 7:30 and 9am). Once we were there, we never had to wait more than 10 minutes, if that. It seems that they would know in advance their busy times, and if they needed more time with us, would give us a specific time. Monitoring was really efficient.
Drugs were about $6k, and each round of IVF was about 13k. We were a difficult case, with a lot of monitoring.

2012 - 2016
[Coast Fertility Specialists is] Quaint. Clean. Efficient. Dated, but not an issue. Overall fine...[Nurses are] Always friendly. Always had my charts ready. Super quick with blood draws and urine tests. Efficient and kind...
2012 - 2016
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Quaint. Clean. Efficient. Dated, but not an issue. Overall fine.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Cooper and his staff always we're extremely friendly. They never made me feel rushed. The office was never overcrowded. Everything is very laid back and relaxed. I actually enjoy going there.
How was your experience with William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is extremely intelligent. You can feel it when he walks in the room. He knows exactly what he's going to do the moment he walks in. He knows your case. He knows your treatment. He always has an answer and is confident in his work. I'm a huge fan and trust him whole heartedly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Tell him everything and let him work his magic.
Describe the protocols William Cooper (retired) used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
After a slew of hormone panels and doing a 24 hour postcoital sperm analysis (meaning the sperm was sampled from inside of me 24hrs after sex), he knew I had PCOS and needed to start me on medication. I was cycleless, after all. So we started on BCPs and dexamethasone and realized that wasn't the answer (to down stimulate hormones). Provera (10mg 5days to inside period) So we tried Femara 2.5mg with several ultrasounds to check folicular growth. Nothing. Provera (10mg 5days to inside period) Tried 5mg Femara and had excellent follicle growth, but didn't ovulate. Provera (10mg 5days to inside period) Third cycle we did Femara 5mg with an HCG trigger shot. I became pregnant with that third round. I used vaginally inserted suppositories of progesterone from the day I found out I was pregnant (home pregnancy test) until I was 13wks along to be on the safe side. I didn't have low progesterone, but knew it was a potential effect of the PCOS. I wasn't willing to take chances and specifically requested it. I wasn't offered it. He agreed willingly without ever batting an eye. Made me feel good about my request and how willing he was to prescribe it to me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
$40 co-pay for each visit - included all bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc... $50 for one round of HCG trigger shots.
William Cooper (retired)
Bluffton

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with William Cooper (retired) at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

2013 - 2015
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Every single person in the office [Coastal Fertility Specialists-Mt Pleasant] was wonderful, from the front desk all the way to dr. Slowey. We had a nurse coordinator Alison who brought us into the family and let us talk and vent and cry. They cared. They were happy when things were good and sad when it wasn’t.... It’s clean, it’s shiny, it’s new. I would be sure to tell someone new not to be intimidated. They care. They want to help. Don’t feel like you don’t belong there, you do. Trust them, be honest with them, be patient with them and they will help you.
2013 - 2015
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Every single person in the office was wonderful, from the front desk all the way to dr. Slowey. We had a nurse coordinator Alison who brought us into the family and let us talk and vent and cry. They cared. They were happy when things were good and sad when it wasn’t.
They were so good even my husband felt at ease. They were good for everything from paperwork to the finance dept to not shaming my weight but encouraging me as I got healthier under their care.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was upfront and honest from the very first appointment. He never once told us things were impossible but he was clear it would not be easy. He didn’t try and tell us to attempt a treatment that wouldn’t work and he listened, I’ve been to so many doctors who never listened to me or what I was saying. To know that he listened and heard me and tried to adjust for what I needed based on my feedback was everything.
It’s hard, sometimes, to trust a doctor, but trust him. He will not steer you wrong. He wants this as much as you do.
The only thing I remember specifically is that we did NOT use clomid, as I had used it before with a different doctor and had a bad reaction.
It was general 7-9am and they added offices while I was in their care so if I couldn’t drive the 2.5 hours to mt pleasant from where I lived there were offices that were closer.
I can’t recall the pricing for egg retrieval but I know that each cycle (at the time) was 1800 after the few expenses that could be billed to my insurance
After my first cycle miscarried, he was willing to try a multiple embryo transfer, but he was upfront about the dangers. And he would not try more than 2 embryos at once.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
The entire team [Coastal Fertility Specialists] treated me like a person. Made sure that my husband and I understood everything and were 100% involved. Even though they have seen everything 100 times they never made me feel like I was bothering them by asking. My questions ... Everything is thoroughly explained and everyone’s sole goal is to help you get pregnant! They go through the highs and lows with you and really care about what happens. I would recommend this clinic to anyone who asks.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The entire team treated me like a person. Made sure that my husband and I understood everything and were 100% involved. Even though they have seen everything 100 times they never made me feel like I was bothering them by asking. My questions
I loved our nurse and medical technician!!! They were everything to us!
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
We were very pleased with Dr. slowly. He made it a point to explain everything that he expected and possible issues that could arise. I had already been checked by my obgyn for a blocked Fallopian tube but the minute that dr slowly looked at the hysteroscopy he saw the issue. He was very caring and helpful in our journey for a baby!! Now we have a very loving, and happy son because of it.
Ask all the questions you can he is a wealth of knowledge!!
We had tried for three months on our own and then I went to my obgyn for help as I had always had trouble with my period being abnormal. So he did several months of clomid and letrezole. When that didn’t work my ob refered is to dr slowey. Dr. Slowey ordered a hysteroscopy to check for a blocked tube. I was diagnosed with pcos, a blocked tube, and endometriosis. I had a salpingectomy per dr sloweys suggestion. Once healed dr slowey started me on gonal injections. My body took a large amount of medications to respond. At the end of the first cycle we did an Iui but it didn’t take. We did a second round of medications and an iui and we became pregnant with twins. We had weekly ultrasounds. Week seven we lost one of the babies. We were told that it is very common and that it nature’s way of keeping the stronger of the two babies. Dr. Slowey and his staff were so sweet to us and really tried to help us understand what happened. After that we had a very happy healthy pregnancy!!!!
Most of our cost came from the injectibles.
Lexington

Very efficient, clean and compassionate. all the staff [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] was friendly and easy to talk to. Easy to work with my work schedule. As I was working full time at that point. We loved our dr and nurses and would recommend the clinic to a friend.... Kelly did a great job at being compassionate. I had to following up repeatedly on treatment with her but understood from the beginning that it was my responsibility to do so.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Very efficient, clean and compassionate. all the staff was friendly and easy to talk to. Easy to work with my work schedule. As I was working full time at that point. We loved our dr and nurses and would recommend the clinic to a friend.
I had frequent contact with Dr Sloweys staff and I felt like we were all in the same team. The day I had my firs ultra sound to confirm my pregnancy the ultra sound tech was crying happy tears with me. When I was ten weeks along and graduating to my regular obgyn, Dr Slowey gave me a Children’s book with a message of congratulations written in it. It meant a lot to us. I Highly recommend this clinic.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Slowey is incredibly smart and explained things to my husband and I very clearly. Whenever he saw us he took his time and was compassionate. When we got pregnant after four rounds, he gave us a book with a message in it that meant a lot to my husband and I.
That the wait time is worth it. Be patient, and know that you are in excellent hands.
I have pcos and clomid, nor Femera were making me ovulate so we went straight to injectables. I was monitored by ultra sound and blood work every other day and then given a trigger shot to make me ovulate. We did timed intercourse the month that we conceived.
My insurance didn’t cover any of our procedures so we paid about 10,000 out of pocket in the four months we saw him.
2012 - 2014
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Again it’s been 5 years so I’m sure things have changed since I was last there [Coastal Fertility Spec] but there strengths are how welcoming they make you feel from the moment you walk in the door. Many woman wish they didn’t have to sit in that office but they are always so pleasant and are willing to help whenever you need them. ... She [nurse] was super nice, very informative and always had everything in folders with everything we would need. She also kept in touch by email with always letting me know my medication schedule and if there were any changes.
2012 - 2014
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Again it’s been 5 years so I’m sure things have changed since I was last there but there strengths are how welcoming they make you feel from the moment you walk in the door. Many woman wish they didn’t have to sit in that office but they are always so pleasant and are willing to help whenever you need them.
Dr. Schnor was an amazing doctor and he always explained everything in detail to where we understood every step during the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Monique)
She was super nice, very informative and always had everything in folders with everything we would need. She also kept in touch by email with always letting me know my medication schedule and if there were any changes.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
It's been 5 years since I last seen Dr. Schnorr, but I will tell you everything that I remember. I started going to Dr. Schnorr when I was 23, we had been trying to conceive for a couple years and were having no luck. I heard about Dr. Schnorr and decided to go in for a consultation. I remember the first time I met him he had such a warming peresonality. We went into his office and he asked us what all we had been through and from there we came up with a treatment plan. The first step he wanted us to take was to do an IUI and we went through two of those cycles with no success. So after that he suggested we try IVF he sat us back down in his office and went through every step of the IVF process in depth. He allowed us to ask as many questions as possible and from there we started our first IVF cycle. For me the first IVF was one big emotional roller coaster but that had a lot to do with the hormones. When it came time for our egg retrieval he was so informative and explained how everything was going to happen. After the egg retrieval I believe we transferred on day 3 but I could be wrong. We transferred one embryo and then came the long two week wait. I remember getting the call and was devastated to hear that the cycle did not work but they did tell us that one of the embryos we had left ended up growing an extra day and was a better grade embryo than the one they had implanted so we went ahead and froze that one. It took me about two years to work up the courage to go through a second cycle. I remember going back into his office and we sat down for another consultation, we went over everything we did in the first cycle and came up with another plan for the second cycle. This one was a little different because after the egg retrieval they froze the embryos and then we had a frozen cycle. We thought maybe if we gave my body time after the egg retrieval to settle back down that maybe it would work. So we came back a month later and had two embryos put in that time and had another one that we kept frozen. Unfortunately the second cycle did not work as well. So we now have two embryos one thats been frozen 5 years and another 7 years and our hope is to one day have those two implanted in the hopes that it will work.
Take notes and ask questions
It’s been 5 years unfortunately I don’t have any of that information and I can’t remember the names of the drugs we used.

2013 - 2014
Andrea [a nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists] was awesome through our whole expirience at coastal fertility. She was in constant contact with me. All of the staff was wonderful, including ultrasounds and blood draws.... [For monitoring appts] I went before work which worked out great. I never had to wait more than 15 minutes... He recommended that I try to lose some weight to have the best try at conceiving. I took a year to do that and I’m so glad I did. I don’t remember the exact drug protocol but there were only 2 things I had to inject at certain times and on certain days. We did several ultrasounds to check my egg sacs for retreival. We were set to do IVF so we had to do the egg retreival, ICSI and transfer of the embryos.
2013 - 2014
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I really don’t think there were any weaknesses. I always left feeling confident about our next steps. They were doing some renovations when we were being treated there so I can only imagine it’s gotten even better.
I always felt safe and important when I was being treated by dr. Schnorr. He answered my questions in a way I could understand. I never felt rushed when I was in his care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Andrea )
Andrea was awesome through our whole expirience at coastal fertility. She was in constant contact with me. All of the staff was wonderful, including ultrasounds and blood draws.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr was very professional but also warm and compassionate. In our first office visit I felt like I didn’t have to explain all of my feelings to him with having fertility issues because no matter what, he was going to do his best to help my husband and I achieve our goal of having a child. We were offered genetic testing but declined and were not pressured on the matter. I did have one set back with my injections. I believe I must have missed one or did it at the wrong time which led to my levels not being where they should've been. That was taken care of right away with ordering more meds and keeping me on track for the transfer. Every time I saw Dr. Schnorr he was always so positive which helped me stay positive.
Looking back, I was so nervous for our first appointment. I would definitely say now, there was no reason to be nervous. Dr. Schnorr’s confidence in being able to help my husband and I calmed all my fears about the process.
I really don’t remember the specifics of pricing. It was all laid out though before starting treatment. I knew exactly how much would need to be paid and when. This was a relief as fertility treatments are expensive.
Dr. Schnorr told us that basically our chances of getting pregnant while transferring one and getting pregnant by transferring 2 was about the same. I’m his opinion though, he thought we should transfer 2. We did end up transferring 2. He wouldn’t transfer more than 2 though.
Mount Pleasant

This clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is very well organized and put together. From the beginning we have not had any issues with the staff. From the time we walk into the door, all the way until the time we exit the door at the end of the appointment, the staff and clinic are incredible. ... Kelly, my nursing coordinator, has hands down been the best contact we’ve had in the entire facility. We love everyone there but she has always been more then willing to help us and talk to us about anything that we are going through.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This clinic is very well organized and put together. From the beginning we have not had any issues with the staff. From the time we walk into the door, all the way until the time we exit the door at the end of the appointment, the staff and clinic are incredible.
Dr Slowey is always more then willing to answer any and all questions we have. He has been by my side to hold my hand every step of the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Slowey has a very warm heart and a very strong act for the job he is doing. He is never hesitent to answer any questions and was always so eager to discuss every option with us. On the days of the appointments that my husband was not able to attend, he’s active duty military, Dr Slowey made sure I had every possible reading material on what we discussed for that day to take home to him.
Have faith! He will be by your side until the end.
We have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility recently and haven’t started on any regimens yet.
We have not don’t the IUI implantation yet but if the billing is correct, our estimate is around $1700.

2017 - 2019
They [Coastal Fertility Specialists] have billable charges that are not clearly discussed. Although we have insurance cover 100% we still paid thousands for their non billables. It was always a hidden fee that we would get stuck with at the end of the process and when asked about it was told to go somewhere else and see if I have success there because coastal's success rate was so high they said that they can charge this.
2017 - 2019
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They have billable charges that are not clearly discussed. Although we have insurance cover 100% we still paid thousands for their non billables. It was always a hidden fee that we would get stuck with at the end of the process and when asked about it was told to go somewhere else and see if I have success there because coastal's success rate was so high they said that they can charge this.
Dr Cook was amazing. Always took extra time to explain everything and make sure my.husband and I were comfortable. She was very approachable.
Becky calmed down all of our anxieties. Anytime I was overwhelmed I waited for her call knowing she would take away fear and doubt and replace it with a plan and positivity
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Cook was amazing. She answered all of our questions and made sure we were comfortable with treatment options and plan. She was responsive and extremely empathic towards our situation. She went through our emotions with us.
Just be open to how you're feeling and ask her to clarify things if you have questions because she will take the time
We did a few rounds of oral meds with no progress. Then tried injections and IUI with 1 follicle growth each time. Then moved forward to ivf
It was so easy. First come first serve and it opened at 7am so I could go before work and be in and out with ultrasound and labs in 25 minutes
18-20k
We were only allowed to transfer 1
Mount Pleasant

The entire staff at Coastal Fertility is amazing. They all know your name and your husbands name. My nurse was always so nice and informative giving us demonstrations on how to use the medications and injections. The other nurses always helped out too with blood draws and ultrasounds. ... I did have to re-sign one of my consent forms because they had lost or accidentally shredded the first one. I also had a medication that was last minute getting called in because of a communication error.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is fairly easy to find although the Lexington office is a bit on the small side. It is a clean facility with clean equipment. I do think they could use new ultrasound machines. The office in Mt Pleasant is really nice and big and is also easy to find.
He always made sure I was comfortable during procedure and made sure my husband and I had all our questions answered.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is very knowledgeable and kind. He always made sure we had everything we needed. He made sure I was comfortable during procedures. He answered any questions we had. He never made us wait at our appointments.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions
We started with IUI cycles with gonal-f. After my ectopic pregnancy, he recommended we have our tubes rechecked and from there we went straight to IVF using gonal-f and a couple of other meds that I can’t remember the names of. He had to increase our doses which worked very well to produce plenty of eggs. We also did a frozen cycle. We used Progesterone and estrogen. It was a successful cycle.
I just remember each IUI cycle was around 2000 and the IVF was around 10,000 in total
He recommended that we only transfer one embryo as we are young and have no obvious issues other than unexplained infertility. We were in agreement with him as we didn’t want to chance the possibility of triplets.
Lexington
This clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is wonderful. From the time you walk in the door to the exam room, you know they care about you. They get to know you, your name, your story, your husband ... they accommodate you in the best way possible. Also, out of all of the clinics in the area, they don't batch cycles and they have the most experience!... Allison and my schedule did not always line up (I had early appointments.) However she always made sure my information was ready with another nurse (either Becky or Kelly) and I would highly recommend them both. Allison was very knowledgeable and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This clinic is wonderful. From the time you walk in the door to the exam room, you know they care about you. They get to know you, your name, your story, your husband ... they accommodate you in the best way possible. Also, out of all of the clinics in the area, they don't batch cycles and they have the most experience!
He always took the time to hear our concerns. He was interested in us, our goals and what our past had looked like.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is very thorough. He tells it to you "just like it is." I prefer a doctor who is very blunt and realistic, and he is. However he is very kind, and you can tell he wants you to be successful! He also will let you make some of the decisions if they are within his suggested parameters.
I saw Dr. Slowey initially at MUSC, as he is a professor there. It helped my insurance cover my initial consultation.
I did IUIs with Gonal F, Letrazole and a trigger shot. I have unexplained fertility and I have had one successful pregnancy with Letrazole and one missed miscarriage with natural conception.
My costs were somewhat covered by my insurance. I typically paid about $600 out of pocket for meds and procedure per IUI.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Strengths [of Coastal Fertility Specialists]: compassionate, very professional. Offer free meds at times if they have extra available. Weaknesses: cost of treatment is very high. Wish there were more clinic programs that they would offer to multiple failed cycles.... Allison is wonderful and has been through IVF several times herself. I appreciated her coordinating everything for us and her compassion when we were unsuccessful.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Strengths: compassionate, very professional. Offer free meds at times if they have extra available. Weaknesses: cost of treatment is very high. Wish there were more clinic programs that they would offer to multiple failed cycles.
He is a very great doctor. This process is so exhausting and overwhelming but he tries to keep me calm and realistic. I just wish our outcomes were better.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is very knowledgeable and understands this process very well. He wants the best outcomes for all patients and knows how stressful this is. We are very impressed with him and know that he treats his patients with respect and compassion.
He does not sugar coat. Which is a good thing but can be difficult to hear. He is amazing and talented and very realistic.
Antagonist protocol: birth control pills for 2 weeks. We believe this oversuppressed me and i didn’t produce many eggs. Microflare Protocol was better and i produced 6 eggs. 4 were great quality and we did a fresh 3 day 2 embryo transfer. Negative pregnancy. 2 made to blast. Transferred the remaining 2 embryos and miscarried at 8’weeks.
Over 16k for procedure and medications
With my condition of low ovarian reserve, he decided to implant 2 each time in hopes one would implant and be successful.
Myrtle Beach

The IUI procedure cost $625 and the medicine was $300-350 [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]...The clinic provided a calming and inviting atmosphere which is so important! One thing I think they could work on is better communication with their patients. I had very little contact with my nurse coordinator due to her being out of town so frequently...My nurse was very helpful and friendly during the few visits I had with her. Unfortunately Kelly was out of town the majority of my time as a patient.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Dr. Slowey did an excellent job explaining everything and making sure my husband and I felt comfortable with the IUI process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Mollison )
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey was a very kind and professional doctor. I only met with him a few times but each time he made sure I understood anything I needed to know and answered any questions I had. He was very thorough in explaining the options we had and our diagnosis.
Make sure to write down any questions or concerns you may have to ask Dr. Slowey during your appointment. No question is a stupid one!
During my first IUI we used the lowest dosage of Gonal f and letrozole to hopefully prevent me from overstimulating. I only produced one follicle during my first cycle and unfortunately it was unsuccessful. On my second IUI we increased the amount of Gonal f injections as well as the dosage but had the same result, only one follicle and a negative pregnancy test.
My insurance covered the monitoring and blood work so I was left to pay for the procedure as well as the medicine. The IUI procedure cost $625 and the medicine was $300-350.

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
They [Coastal Fert Spec] are very caring and treat you with respect. When you walk into their facility it is almost like walking into a spa just very relaxing and peaceful. They also have good financial resources and will help you out in anyway to become a parent...She [nurse] went out of her way to answer all my questions and give me the emotional, physical support that I needed...Each iui was 525 not counting donor sperm
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They are very caring and treat you with respect. When you walk into their facility it is almost like walking into a spa just very relaxing and peaceful. They also have good financial resources and will help you out in anyway to become a parent
She was very down to earth and made me feel like it was important for me to be a mom and she would do everything she could to make me a mom
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jan Missildine )
She went out of her way to answer all my questions and give me the emotional, physical support that I needed
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She made me feel important when other doctors didn’t and she went out of her way to find a plan that worksh best for me. She was very understanding when I needed emotional support. She has always been with me from the beginning
That she is a very good doctor and if she needs help trying to figure out the correct plan for you to be on she will ask one of the other doctors.
Dr. Cook started me off with a unmedicated iui and when that didn’t worked we started on the clomid for iui and once that failed we started on clomid and ovidrel. We was able to conceive our daughter through this and now for baby number two we did 6 medicated iui and they all failed now we are moving on to ivf
Each iui was 525 not counting donor sperm or the ultrasounds and blood work needed. Ivf is 6100 up front
Mount Pleasant

The staff [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is very nice and personable. However, the higher medical staff is hard to meet with and are very rarely available to see on a non-appointment basis. There are so many branch offices that the doctors are spread thin and a patient does not know when or if they will see their doctor again. There is little medical support nor do I feel like I truly have a personal RE.... Cherub [nurse] is very nice, warm, and understanding on a face to face basic.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The staff is very nice and personable. However, the higher medical staff is hard to meet with and are very rarely available to see on a non-appointment basis. There are so many branch offices that the doctors are spread thin and a patient does not know when or if they will see their doctor again. There is little medical support nor do I feel like I truly have a personal RE.
He spoke rationally to me and allayed my concerns and fears. Plus, when I asked questions, he fully answered them. He was also sympathetic to my personal history.
Cherub is very nice, warm, and understanding on a face to face basic. She makes you feel like you are the only patient she has. However, on an correspondence level, she is horrible. Her emails are blunt, abrupt, and at times very cold. This is a major disconnect for the emotionally vulnerable patient.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is a little stand-offish at times but I believe that is cultural difference; i.e., North vs. South. It is also hard to actually meet with him rather than the nurses. I believe that is due to the size and number of branch offices the practice has rather his personal doing. However, he is very compassionate and when meeting, is fully present in the moment with you as a patient.
I would tell them to be prepared to rarely see him but trust in his plan for you, barring a major setback.
Lexington

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
We used gonal -f, ganarelix, human growth hormone, HCG [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]. We ended up with 14 eggs retrieved 7 of which made it to day 5...Heather [nurse] is one of the most compassionate people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She constantly checked up on me, didn't get annoyed at my 500 emails daily and my constant phone calls...total cost for our two cycles was around $14,000
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Everything runs like a well oiled machine. I cannot speak highly enough of Dawn Sadorf the financial coordinator. We were never hit with unexpected costs that she had not discussed with us. They were very upfront about the financial aspect as well as the emotional toll that this would take.
The office staff and Dr Cook were very compassionate and caring at every visit. They knew mine and my husbands names every time we went. They asked about our lives outside for feritlity and remembered everything we said.
Heather is one of the most compassionate people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She constantly checked up on me, didn't get annoyed at my 500 emails daily and my constant phone calls.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Cook was a very good communicator She explained all risks associated with every step of the process. She explained what the numbers meant and what we were shooting for. She remained very positive through the process even when I had had huge doubts. She personally called me several time throughout the process to see how I was doing.
Ask all of the questions you can possibly think of, she takes her time answering each one.
We used gonal -f, ganarelix, human growth hormone, HCG. We ended up with 14 eggs retrieved 7 of which made it to day 5.
total cost for our two cycles was around $14,000
Our Dr only does one embryo on the first transfer due to the risk of a multiples pregnancy. Our first transfer ended in miscarriage so we were given the opportunity to transfer two embryos the second time so we did.

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
The only weakness i could mention is the financial staff [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] dropped the ball on my insurance quote, however im not sure that was their fault. They worked well with us with getting bills paid, making appointments and working with us on the weekends...John Schnorr is amazing. His compassion and care exceeds all others. His relationship with his staff was great. I couldnt imagine having this procedure done with anyone else. There would not be one weekness not even the slightest hiccup occurred. Such a great man, and a awesome Doctor
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The only weekness i could mention is the financial staff dropped the ball on my insurance quote, however im not sure that was their fault. They worked well with us with getting bills paid, making appointments and working with us on the weekends.
When we came into the office we felt like we were the only one in that office. The Doctor would call us personally to see how things were going. Every time we met with the doctor or his nurse they asked questions about our life and remembered from visit to visit. I really feel like i made a friend with this doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Monique (Mo))
Mo was awesome. She was funny and caring. She was very very quick to respond to emails and phone calls. She related well to me. Mo was willing to take all the time she needed with me. She sat in the room with me for the entire time i was in recovery from my retrieval. This blew me away. So awesome!!!!!
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Get after it. Dont wait, and it is afforable if you want it to be.
Out insurance would not cover anything and it ended up costing about $17,000 with medications and monitoring, retrieval and implantation

2013 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
I had a "missed ovulation" due to clinic error/ awareness [Coastal Fertility Specialists] that I didn't know was even a possibility and it cost us precious time, thousands of dollars and was an emotional stress. ... I really wish they (as a whole) would review my chart before my ultrasound/ calling with medication prescriptions. I.e. I don't have a right tube and they're never aware of that when giving me "good news" about my right ovary egg size :( ...
2013 - 2019
European, Other
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
He explains thing well during appointments, whether in person or on the phone, but when I'm in his clinic for ultrasound/ blood work I don't think he knows who I am.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Wilkerson)
Jessica is amazing! Always aware of what's goibg on with me and my schedule and quick/ efficient with communication.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He seems to know his stuff and is invested in the overall idea, but I don't know if he is invested in me and my process. He is nice and attempts to explain things, but I don't feel he takes the time/ effort to know me. I trust his expertise, but I don't think he recognizes me, (Despite the fact ive been going there for years). I do think he's good at what he does,
Be involved in your process.
Ultrasound $170each, estrogen lab $90, LH $88, Lab Needle $10, Gonal and trigger shot about $500.. IUI maybe $1200..

2016 - 2019
Honestly we love our clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists], we refuse to transfer even though we’ve moved out of state. They’re very professional and caring. They’re great and answering questions. ... The nursing staff at coastal is amazing, we’ve been to other fertility clinics and have never been treated so well! Nurse Allison has always taken care of us and answered our questions. No matter how many times we forgot or had to ask she was always so sweet and happy to help.
2016 - 2019
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Honestly we love our clinic, we refuse to transfer even though we’ve moved out of state. They’re very professional and caring. They’re great and answering questions. I really can’t cone up with anything I’d want to change. They’re truly the best fertility center.
Dr cook is so caring and so friendly. She really cares about her patients
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ribero )
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr cook is so sweet and caring. We fully trust her and know that she is doing what’s best for us. We live in a different state now but we still come back to her for all of our fertility needs. She is easy to talk to and great at explaining everything.
Honestly Dr cook is great and we trust her, I’d say just got with what she is recommending.
If I remember correctly our IVF was around $23,000 and embryo transfers have been $2,400-$2,700
Dr cook was only okay with us transfering one embryo, I’m very young and our fertility issue was male factor. So transfering multiple embryos heightened my chances of having multiples, and our goal is to have one healthy baby.

2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We signed up for the attain program [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] which cost us about 24,000. This program covers multiple IVF cycles and even allows for a refund in some cases if you don’t “ bring a baby home”...Clean, comfortable, highly organized. The clinic is decorated nicely and everyone is incredibly friendly and welcoming. They don’t waste your time, and operate like clock work. They are very helpful with financial programs, and have even given me extra medicine when mine didn’t arrive on time.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Whitney Gary)
She is always available to answer questions (and I had a lot!) She is a quick responder to emails or phone calls.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Cook had been very helpful, compassionate, and informative. After going through our first egg retrieval and chromosomal testing we learned none of our embryos were viable. It was heartbreaking, but Dr. Cook was very encouraging and already came up with a new plan for us. We are very optimistic.
She is up front and honest about what to expect.
We have gone through one egg retrieval and are about to start our second one. She switched the medicine I am using for round two due to my low estrogen levels.
We signed up for the attain program which cost us about 24,000. This program covers multiple IVF cycles and even allows for a refund in some cases if you don’t “ bring a baby home”
Mount Pleasant
Beautiful clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists]. Easy location. The clinical staff and front desk staff were very helpful and kind. They are priced higher than other clinics we found in the US and don’t offer the same value as they are not into advanced treatments like mini ivf or PRP.... Allison was hardly available. She was rude over the phone in explaining certain things. When asked about the rationale behind donor eggs and no other treatment first to see what kind of response I would produce she was snarky and demeaning.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Beautiful clinic. Easy location. The clinical staff and front desk staff were very helpful and kind. They are priced higher than other clinics we found in the US and don’t offer the same value as they are not into advanced treatments like mini ivf or PRP.
He gave me poor statistics over the phone 3 days before Christmas in under 5 minutes.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is very smart but speaks in complex medical terms. He gave poor news over the phone and did not give us any hope. I have undergone no treatment to date and yet he immediately jumped to donor eggs.
Do your own research.
Baseline tests, start coq10 (type was not discussed), hsg. We declined to move forward with him and donor eggs.
Maxing out $15k insurance and still needing to pay $4,500 out of pocket without meds.
Mount Pleasant

This clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists- Mount Pleasant] is great! The front desk staff are friendly. All the nurses were nice. My nurse Becky is the absolute best. The only thing I hated was some time there was a wait. Dr. Cook is super nice and explains everything.... Nurse Becky is amazing!!! Very caring. She shows compassion. I remember during my first appointment I was so sad and couldn't stop crying. She gave me a hug and said everything is going to be ok. She always return my call the same day or next day.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This clinic is great! The front desk staff are friendly. All the nurses were nice. My nurse Becky is the absolute best. The only thing I hated was some time there was a wait. Dr. Cook is super nice and explains everything.
Dr Cook is wonderful! She is fun and very nice. She treated me like a person. She answered my questions. She explained my treatment very well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Becky)
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Cook was the first fertility specialist I saw. She explained everything and was very eager to help us. We left her and went to another doctor for a second opinion. A year later I went back to Dr. Cook because I wanted to try IUI. She explained to me why IUI would not be a good option for me. She explained IVF in a very great detail. We are saving our money now for IVF and I plan to go back to Dr. Cook when I'm ready.
She's very nice. She will not make you feel like your stupid.
Mount Pleasant

Andrea [a nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists-North Charleston] has been my saving grace when I need to ask her any and all questions during the day. She’s easy to communicate with, and always finds time to get back with me. I appreciate her so very much... He [Dr. John Schnorr] has been very thorough, and our nurse has been very, very compassionate and helpful during our treatments.
Currently still a patient of Dr. Schnorr. He has been very up front about what our options were regarding trying to conceive. He has been very thorough, and our nurse has been very, very compassionate and helpful during our treatments. It’s hard to hear that we can’t conceive naturally, but due to my endometriosis it makes it super difficult. Dr. Schnorr has helped us understand why it’s difficult and yet what we can try to better our chances. We are currently trying our first IVF cycle this month. We are excited to try this and we are hopeful. We appreciate how thorough and wonderful he has been.
Andrea has been my saving grace when I need to ask her any and all questions during the day. She’s easy to communicate with, and always finds time to get back with me. I appreciate her so very much.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr is a wonderful doctor. As stated in our previous statement, he has kept us sane during our treatments and also been very realistic with us. We appreciate his candid nature and would highly recommend him to our friends and family.
Ask as many questions as possible. Dr. Schnorr will answer any and all your questions.

IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
The staff at Coastal Fertility Specialists are absolutely amazing. Everyone from the front desk to the doctors are so helpful and kind. I have met several people who were experiencing infertility and I have recommended that they go to Coastal because we had such a great experience. They have had positive experiences as well and successful transfers.... Jan was very supportive. She was available and eager to answer questions that we had through the process.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I highly recommend Dr Slowey and the staff of Coastal Fertility Specialists. They make the process positive, even when I had negative results Dr Slowey made it easy to stay positive!
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Slowey has been absolutely wonderful. He is very informative and shows genuine concern for his patients. He is companionate and passionate about the work that he is doing. He explains everything thoroughly and provides information to take home to read for even more understanding.
Stay positive, keep persevering and your dream to have a baby will happen!
The first time we transferred one embryo because of the risk of multiples. We were unsuccessful, so the second transfer we used 2 and 1 resulted in a sweet healthy baby boy.

2014 - 2018
Cost are high. Not all staff [Coastal Fertility Specialists] are trained equally on the billing process. Flexible schedule and a nurse always on call. Three doctors in clinic and cover one another. Everything done in office. Friendly staff. Multiple locations... Went in for monitoring when convenient with several locations to choose... [Cost Of Treatment] $15k to $20k for a entire cycle and meds... Best RN I could of asked for to treat me through this Lprocess.