Coastal Fertility Specialists

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
7 Mallett Way
843) 972-9444
1500 Medical Center Dr
Wilimington, NC 28401
910-763-9509
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Coastal Fertility Specialists to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 19Neutral: 3Don't recommend: 19.1
My care coordinator [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] is Nurse Kelly and she has been awesome so far. In clinic she was able to answe every question we had or she was able to find an answer before we left the clinic. She helped us find the cheapest way to get our lab work done. She has replied back to every annoying email I have sent her while we wait and has emailed all of our lab orders to us the day we requested since we live two hours away. The nursing staff at our appointment was also amazing. Everyone made us feel very comfortable during a very vulnerable time.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
As a new patient myself, only having one in clinic visit so far, I only have great things to say. Check in was easy and quick, we were called back within ten minutes of arriving, we never felt uncomfortable. The doctor and clinic were generous enough to waive the freeze fee for us since it was an unexpected decision. I truly have nothing negative to say so far, I hope it stays that way!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey was pretty blunt with us to begin with and at first we felt like a number. He didn’t seem to show much empathy of the fact that we wanted to try IUI but it just wasn’t an option according to their clinic. Once we got my husbands semen analysis back and Dr.Slowey saw the drastic decline in numbers and the instant heartbreak his attitude changed. He began to bond with us on a personal level and once we said we would have to pass on IVF because it was out of our price range, he immediately made the decision to freeze my husbands sperm and waived the fee to freeze it. He also waived another fee for one of the tests for us. We realized then that we were not just another number to him, but two people he felt like he can help.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly)
My care coordinator is Nurse Kelly and she has been awesome so far. In clinic she was able to answe every question we had or she was able to find an answer before we left the clinic. She helped us find the cheapest way to get our lab work done. She has replied back to every annoying email I have sent her while we wait and has emailed all of our lab orders to us the day we requested since we live two hours away. The nursing staff at our appointment was also amazing. Everyone made us feel very comfortable during a very vulnerable time.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
At first Dr. Slowey did not seem to show much empathy but as our appointment went on and the discussion of not being able to afford IVF came up how personality shifted. He showed compassion and explained that he knew what it felt like to be in our position. He seems To be incredibly knowledgeable and was able to answer every question we had. Although we have only had one appointment thus far, we are looking forward to our appointments in April and hopefully starting the IVF process then as well. Dr. Slowey made us genuinely feel as though he wanted us to start our family as much as we do ourselves.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
If male factor infertility (what our case is), be patient. Dr. Slowey will not start the IVF process until both male and female have had labs done, male has had genetic testing done and has gone to see the urology specialist recommended by Dr. Slowey. Very frustrating wait but I can appreciate covering all of the bases.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Initial visit, intrauterine ultrasound, semen analysis, all lab work, all covered by insurance. $400 for anesthesia for egg retrieval. Approx $11,800 for ivf with ICSI. $3,250 for embryo biopsy and PGD/PGS testing. We do not have a cost for medications yet as we are still awaiting for other test results.
North Charleston
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Ask questions and do research on your own about coverage and finances. I don’t think the staff [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is educated on financial options and coverage because I got most of my financial tips from the doctor. Most of the staff is kind and welcoming. One of my interim nurses wore flip flops in the office which really annoyed me.... They did forget to put me on the schedule multiple times for monitoring but they always fit me in and my biggest issue was my paperwork was given to someone else and I got hers with all her personal information and insurance information.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Ask questions and do research on your own about coverage and finances. I don’t think the staff is educated on financial options and coverage because I got most of my financial tips from the doctor. Most of the staff is kind and welcoming. One of my interim nurses wore flip flops in the office which really annoyed me.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He definitely has a very pragmatic approach and is encouraging.
I had my regular nurse but she was on leave when I went through the process and felt very tossed around wit the nurses. There was a ton of miscommunication that I finally had to ask to speak only to dr schnoor about my protocols. There is a nurse who would do my u/s and she was amazing. Very encouraging and thoughtful. I felt like a team with her. When my other nurse returned she was there for retrieval but she made me feel like a burden.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is very detailed and thorough. He doesn’t over promise but remains very positive. He was there every step of the way and really made sure I knew the whole process. He would follow up with me personally and I never felt rushed with him. He also tries to be financially respectful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Do research and bring questions. I think regardless of who you see it is very important to ask questions and don’t be afraid to ask about failed cycles and finances. We typically don’t like to discuss but it is a big investment and he understands that.
Describe the protocols John Schnorr used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
I did 6 unmedicated iuis to reduce risk of multiples. Then I moved to ivf. I did retrieval one year ago transfer the next year. When I was on my retrieval protocol I was started on a very low dose and had to quickly change as I was not responding. I used low dose hcg in the morning and then added gonal f a few days in in the evening and then ganirelix to prevent early ovulation. I did this for about 17 days before getting my ovidrel shot to get my eggs retrieved. Because I’m petite I think he was worried about ohhs but I needed larger doses as I was not responding.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
It was fairly organized. A few hiccups but overall easy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I have probably spent 30k overall. With storage, iuis, appointments, procedures etc
Describe John Schnorr's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Because I’m single it was recommended that I do 1 transfer.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Other
The clinic itself [Coastal Fertility Specialists- Mount Pleasant] is set up like a day spa. The staff is extremely nice and accommodating. The whole experience is wonderful. The Charleston office is bigger than the Lexington office. I prefer the Lexington office.... Cherub Hutto is very knowledgeable and helpful. Easily reachable. She can be a little dry at times.... It’s a little pricey. For our one FET cycle, it’s almost 15 thousand dollars. This does not include medications, ERA biopsy, or PGS testing.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic itself is set up like a day spa. The staff is extremely nice and accommodating. The whole experience is wonderful. The Charleston office is bigger than the Lexington office. I prefer the Lexington office.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She is the most patient, empathetic doctor I’ve been to. Makes all the difference when you’re going through something as difficult as infertility/recurrent pregnancy loss. Her confidence gives ME confidence that it will happen for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Cherub Hutto)
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She’s empathetic, extremely intelligent, confident, and gentle. I couldn’t ask for a better RE. I have experienced 6 losses, have had 4 surgeries and 3 D&C’s, and have gone through infertility for 3 years. My previous RE was less than ideal. I have no doubt in my mind that she will give us our baby. Zero.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Ask as many questions as you want to. She will listen and answer for as long as it takes for you to leave feeling knowledgeable and comfortable.
Describe the protocols Heather Cook used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
Blood work to rule out other causes of miscarriage. Saline infusion sonogram and HSG- was diagnosed with one blocked tube. Hysteroscopy- diagnosed with Asherman’s syndrome post-uterine septum removal. IUI- failed. Another hysteroscopy to check for scarring- no scarring but she removed a little more septum. Am currently in the process of taking stim meds for IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Describe Heather Cook's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Dr Cook strongly believes in only transferring one embryo unless she and medical history dictate it to be completely necessary to transfer two.
Mount Pleasant
The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is modern, clean, and comfortable. The staff is attentive, courteous, and do their best to move your appointment along, answer any questions, and make you feel welcomed. The only thing I don't like is the terrible waiting room music - 70s light rock.... My Care Coordinator and the nursing staff are all extremely kind and sweet, and very, very compassionate. Most of them experienced some kind of infertility themselves, and have empathy and understanding of what I'm going through.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is modern, clean, and comfortable. The staff is attentive, courteous, and do their best to move your appointment along, answer any questions, and make you feel welcomed. The only thing I don't like is the terrible waiting room music - 70s light rock.
Dr. Schnorr explains everything in great detail. Each time we have an appointment to see him, we have to wait longer than we should...and he talks really fast like he's trying to fit it all in, but also end the appointment quickly so he can get back on schedule.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Andrea Hall )
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr is an excellent, knowledgeable doctor. He explains everything in great detail, and will ask for questions multiple times. He does talk a bit fast though, I always feel rushed at our appointments. When I had some tests done (a dye test of my ovaries and fallopian tubes), he was very kind and made me as comfortable as possible. He is a very upbeat, a straight-shooter, and down to earth.
Don't let him rush you; ask all the questions you need to make sure you understand.
I was prescribed Gonal F injections, as well as an oral mediation to help promote ovulation (I can't remember the name). My right ovary needs more shots to respond than my left, so dosages are different, depending on which side I'm ovulating from. I would take a trigger shot when it was time to ovulate, and then we'd perform the IUI, with progesterone vaginal inserts to promote implantation. My first IUI resulted in my son in 2016. I naturally conceived in 2017, but it was ectopic and miscarried naturally. I went back to Dr. Schnorr, and we have started IUI treatments (the same course as before) with no success. We are about to begin our 3rd cycle.
Testing: bloodwork, thyroid, hormone levels, fallopian tube dye test, sperm count and motility, vaginal ultrasound - approximately $3500 and I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility. My IUIs (meds and insemination) cost between $1000 and $1500, depending on which ovary is active that cycle.
Mount Pleasant
they [the staff at Coastal Fertility Specialists] were knowledgeable, compassionate, and I felt that they really wanted to see us succeed. We didn't have any reasons for our losses, and progesterone suppositories seemed to do the trick for us, so we didn't have to undergo extensive treatments here. But we were happy with our experience...She [nurse] was great, answered my questions, and didn't make me feel crazy for asking a lot of questions.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Just like with any doctor/physician be your own advocate still - but they were knowledgeable, compassionate, and I felt that they really wanted to see us succeed. We didn't have any reasons for our losses, and progesterone suppositories seemed to do the trick for us, so we didn't have to undergo extensive treatments here. But we were happy with our experience.
She took time to talk to me, got me the tests I needed quickly, and called me herself when we got a positive pregnancy test with a high HCG. I felt like they really wanted me to succeed and knew how much it meant to me/my husband.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky Welch )
She was great, answered my questions, and didn't make me feel crazy for asking a lot of questions.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I thought she was very competent and compassionate. She told me the tests they do for RPL, we did those as quick as we could, and got the results back with really no explanation as to why I had the two miscarriages. I had read about low progesterone could cause it which was something we weren't really able to test, and asked it I could take that while trying. She allowed me to, and wanted me to start at ovulation. I did this and was pregnant the second month with the baby I'm carrying now. We are halfway through! I would say her just ruling out what could be wrong was great for my confidence. She was very knowledgeable.
Continue to be your own advocate and read, ask questions, but know she is on your side!
All I ended up being on was progesterone suppositories at ovulation through the first trimester. I was discharged after my baby was 8 weeks. She ran the whole RPL panel on me, and nothing came out that would be causing my RPL. That is why I asked to use progesterone. I also was told I could take a daily baby aspirin. I was lucky enough not to have to do any further in depth treatments.
My insurance covered a good bit of the tests we had run, so we just had to pay my co-pays, and then % after that until we reached deductible. I didn't think the costs were astronomical.
Anovulation, Unexplained
If there is one thing I could change about Coast Fertility, the billing department would it. Honestly, it's awful--in all of their offices. The Charleston office told me I had a $600 credit then sent me a bill for $800. The Columbia office billing specialist was just charging me random amounts, when confronted she said she didn't know how much to charge me.... The wait times were often aggravating--that's when it felt like you were a number and not a human.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
If there is one thing I could change about Coast Fertility, the billing department would it. Honestly, it's awful--in all of their offices. The Charleston office told me I had a $600 credit then sent me a bill for $800. The Columbia office billing specialist was just charging me random amounts, when confronted she said she didn't know how much to charge me. Bills would come often with varying costs. I always paid same day of service so I'm not sure why the charges were so different/high. They always had excuses on why billing was never accurate. Was also told that they wouldn't discuss a loan option with me since insurance paid for some parts of treatment which is an unfair decision since they didn't know what insurance would pay and my financial situation. Honestly, the billing department would be the main reason I would not go to Coastal. It's too stressful in an already stressful enough situation.
Dr. Cook and her staff were attentive and walked us through the process throughly. Infertility is such an emotional process, there were some times I felt like a number instead of a human. That could have been due to all of the hormones, lack of patience, or the unknown. The wait times were often aggravating--that's when it felt like you were a number and not a human.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
I dealt with the nursing staff the most. Some days they were really busy and rushed, other days they were attentive with sometime showing favorites with patients. Heather was very knowledgeable but at times was very flat in her compassion. Emotions run high through this process so it's important to have self-awareness.
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Cook explained each procedure in detail, gave handouts, and even drew the process when the explanation became overwhelming. She always allowed plenty of time for to discuss any concerns and she encouraged questions. Sometimes when meeting her, the session could feel rushed. Patients can combat that by being as prepared as possible. I wish I had the opportunity to see her face-to-face more often, I am a patient at one of their satellite offices.
She is very kind and warm. Don't be afraid to ask questions, she encourages them and is very detailed in her responses.
Three IUI attempts with varying medication protocols before moving to IVF. First IUI was just oral medication, with the second and third IUI requiring oral and injectable medications.
Billing was never accurate or straightforward. I would say IUI without medication was around $1700.
Dr. Cooks approach is multiple embryo transfer (FET)
Myrtle Beach
The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] was very clean and professional and I felt like they knew what they were doing...We had a storm coming and instead of showing compassion about my worry that all this money and pain would all be for nothing, as I wouldn’t be able to do the iui she [the nurse] basically said tough that’s life I can’t control the weather. Even if there was nothing that could be done, her approach was terrible. It was the most vulnerable I ever felt and I would leave the meeting with her feeling sad and not hopeful. She was the only negative I take away from the clinic. Some people do jobs for too long.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
So wonderful, I went to both of their clinics and they are clean and professional and wonderful. The Lexington clinic is a little far out for me as well as Charleston but worth it. The waiting rooms weren’t cold and uncomfortable either .
He was very direct and helpful, my only complaint was the nurse I had for the entire process. She wasn’t the kindest and made me not comfortable. This was a lot of money and hope and many other feelings and she wasn’t very sensitive to that. It could of been a much better experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather Clayton)
She made me feel ridiculous for having concerns. We had a storm coming and instead of showing compassion about my worry that all this money and pain would all be for nothing, as I wouldn’t be able to do the iui she basically said tough that’s life I can’t control the weather. Even if there was nothing that could be done, her approach was terrible. It was the most vulnerable I ever felt and I would leave the meeting with her feeling sad and not hopeful. She was the only negative I take away from the clinic. Some people do jobs for too long.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was direct and effective. We didn’t waste time, which was important to me. I went in August for consult and was pregnant by October. The clinic was very clean and professional and I felt like they knew what they were doing.
Train your head nurse to be more empathetic.
Describe the protocols Michael Slowey used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
First they checked my husbands sperm and once that checked out I went and got my Fallopian tubes checked. I did have to travel further for that procedure. The experience was good though, minus having to have a catheter put in. The clinic had me with different doctors though so I did not see Dr. slowey for that. Then I was on medication and shots. I got my blood drawn and ultrasound every 3 days to make sure my follicles were growing. Then I was instructed to use a trigger shot. There was a storm and the head nurse told me they wouldn’t be able to do my iui if the hurricane hit. That we would have to try again. So I ovulated a day early without the trigger shot and just had intercourse instead of the iui and we got lucky.
I truly don’t remember it was a couple thousand and then meds were 200-300$ I was suppose to get iui which was another thousand but didn’t end up needing it.
Lexington
They [Coastal Fertility Specialists] scheduled me very promptly for a consultation, within a month of calling...They handled my insurance with expert adeptness, minimizing our costs and even going above and beyond to help me with a billing issue that arose when I chose to do bloodwork closer to home for one of my betas. The doctors do rotate procedure days, so Dr Slowey did two of my IUIs, but they're both excellent doctors. For my second attempt to conceive, i did my monitoring at a satellite office in Bluffton, which was not nearly as smooth of an experience.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They scheduled me very promptly for a consultation, within a month of calling. My first go round, I went to the office in Charleston, which was brutal because it was a 2 hour drive there, but the office runs like a well oiled machine and my appointments were always quick and easy. While the drive was rough, the office support system was just what I needed when I was most emotionally vulnerable. They handled my insurance with expert adeptness, minimizing our costs and even going above and beyond to help me with a billing issue that arose when I chose to do bloodwork closer to home for one of my betas. The doctors do rotate procedure days, so Dr Slowey did two of my IUIs, but they're both excellent doctors. For my second attempt to conceive, i did my monitoring at a satellite office in Bluffton, which was not nearly as smooth of an experience. I had to get my blood work done at LabCorps, which often had a 1+ hour wait and usually lost my blood work order so I had to print copies. It was worth it to not drive 2 hours each way but only slightly when I was waiting 1-2 hours for blood work anyway. The experience was much better in the main office than the satellite office.
Dr Schnor explained the whole process himself, taking time to cover our options and the chances they gave us in his opinion. He then let us choose to do an unmedicated IUI before moving on to meds because I was so nervous about fertility meds, which was in retrospect very supportive of him because I know his success rates for unmedicated IUIs can't be great. When we returned to try to conceive a second child, he was visibly thrilled to meet our son that he helped us conceive and he tailored our plan to maximize insurance coverage while also using the plan that worked the first time (going straight to injectables).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jan Missildine)
Jan was empathetic and warm, prompt to respond and helpful in sorting out numerous issues with the lab where I had blood work done. She treated me and my myriad questions with respect and intelligent consideration. I did not like one of the nurses I met with when Jan was out of the office, however, and despite asking not to be assigned to her again, I continued to see her whenever Jan was absent. I cannot remember her name, but she had a way of making my every worry three times bigger (when I mentioned I was nervous about potentially conceiving twins, she started telling me that I had a 30% chance of twins, a 5% chance of triplets and "we've only had one set of quads" - whoa wasn't even thinking about triplets and quads, thanks lady) and making me feel like a cycle had failed before we even started ("Wow, the doctor said you have a 15% chance? That's way higher than we usually see with IUIs! So after this cycle, we will move on to IVF.") She was not my favorite person.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Schnorr was always kind and patient, never rushed us. He always explained why we were doing a certain course of treatment, what his recommendations were, and our chances of success. He was direct and honest but also warm in how he discussed our treatment.
Know that he won't sugar coat things. He'll be kind but he won't give you false hope if he doesn't think you have good chances. And that's a good thing.
We started with unmedicated IUI because I was afraid of fertility drugs as an unexplined infertility patient. He had recommended Femara IUI because he said in his experience people our age with unexplained infertility have a 5% chance per cycle on their own, 5% more with meds, and 5% more with IUI, so he wanted to combine it all for best chance of success. After one failed IUI, we moved on to Femara + Follistim TI cycle to maximize insurance coverage (at the clinic's recommendation). Then we did a Femara + Follistim IUI, and finally we did a Follistim IUI that resulted in a healthy singleton pregnancy. When we returned to conceive again, we did one Follistim TI cycle at the doses that worked the first time, and that resulted in a healthy singleton pregnancy.
I seem to remember IUI cycles cost us $900 - $250 for a monitored cycle administrative fee and $650 fee for the IUI (I may not have those numbers perfect, and it was 2014). They did a great job working with our insurance and finding loopholes to get medication and monitoring covered.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
The care I received [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] was outstanding. Everyone knew my name. We had an assigned nurse, who communicated with us clearly and quickly. Dr. Slowey spent all the time we needed explaining everything we asked, and answered us candidly. He told us what to expect, not falsely positive nor negative. Straight answers, with a lot of compassion and a bit of hope. It's clean, modern and nice. We were always taken on time, never made to wait. It is very discreet. New patients and those coming for a procedure don't cross paths. These guys are really organized! It was as nice as any fancy car showroom I've been to :)
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Since we were (probably) going to be spending the equivalent of a fancy sports car, it seemed only fair that the services and care should be on par, don't you think? Coastal Fertility excels here. We had been to a well known clinic in NY, in a depressing building, with a creepy waiting room. It was cold and scary. The doctor (highly rated by some) was the opposite of compassion. You could tell it was just a business for them. Not so at Coastal. It's clean, modern and nice. We were always taken on time, never made to wait. It is very discreet. New patients and those coming for a procedure don't cross paths. These guys are really organized! It was as nice as any fancy car showroom I've been to :)
The care I received was outstanding. Everyone knew my name. We had an assigned nurse, who communicated with us clearly and quickly. Dr. Slowey spent all the time we needed explaining everything we asked, and answered us candidly. He told us what to expect, not falsely positive nor negative. Straight answers, with a lot of compassion and a bit of hope.
The staff was amazing. The followed us on all the ups and downs, cheering us on (discreetly), and being especially sweet when things did not go well. They were always gentle and upbeat. Kelly was a fantastic communicator, always giving me the info when she said she would. I never had to wait. She knew I liked more info, so made sure to provide me with what I wanted to know. No question was too little. She knew our case well, and made sure we got everything we needed.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is compassionate and no nonsense. He deals in facts and science, but will also tell you what he doesn't know (and there is a lot the doctors do not know in infertility!). He is not "touchy-feely", but yet is very kind and gentle. We were always getting new bad news (not their fault, just facts) and he never hid from telling us the truth, yet told us gently. He's a great doctor, has a tremendous amount of experience and cares about his patients.
Do not expect to fed rainbows - he will tell you the truth, even if it means not having you as a patient. That said, he is also willing to try/test certain theories, but not if he doesn't have any evidence that they will work (and not without making sure you understand what is going on). The staff will give you the hugs - he will give you his expertise, with a mix of hope and compassion too.
600 IU Ubiquinol for 3 months before starting. IVF 1: micro flare (short Lupron) protocol started with birth control pills Results: suppression did not work, "broke through" Lupron. Cycle cancelled. IVF 2: Antagonist Protocol w/Cetrotide No birth control given (too strong) - used Estrace before stims instead. Results: 6 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized. Day 3 transfer of 3 embryos (4th arrested on Day 4). Positive pregnancy - saw heartbeat - miscarriage at 9 weeks IVF 3: Antagonist Protocol w/Cetrotide (same as #2) Results: 5 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. Day 5 transfer of 3 Morulas (no blastocytes). Remaining 2 arrested Day 5. Negative pregnancy
Monitoring was easy and as pleasant as it is ever going to be. We were told to show up in a time frame (for example, between 7:30 and 9am). Once we were there, we never had to wait more than 10 minutes, if that. It seems that they would know in advance their busy times, and if they needed more time with us, would give us a specific time. Monitoring was really efficient.
Drugs were about $6k, and each round of IVF was about 13k. We were a difficult case, with a lot of monitoring.
2012 - 2016
[Coast Fertility Specialists is] Quaint. Clean. Efficient. Dated, but not an issue. Overall fine...[Nurses are] Always friendly. Always had my charts ready. Super quick with blood draws and urine tests. Efficient and kind...
2012 - 2016
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Quaint. Clean. Efficient. Dated, but not an issue. Overall fine.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Cooper at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Cooper and his staff always we're extremely friendly. They never made me feel rushed. The office was never overcrowded. Everything is very laid back and relaxed. I actually enjoy going there.
How was your experience with William Cooper at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is extremely intelligent. You can feel it when he walks in the room. He knows exactly what he's going to do the moment he walks in. He knows your case. He knows your treatment. He always has an answer and is confident in his work. I'm a huge fan and trust him whole heartedly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Cooper at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Tell him everything and let him work his magic.
Describe the protocols William Cooper used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
After a slew of hormone panels and doing a 24 hour postcoital sperm analysis (meaning the sperm was sampled from inside of me 24hrs after sex), he knew I had PCOS and needed to start me on medication. I was cycleless, after all. So we started on BCPs and dexamethasone and realized that wasn't the answer (to down stimulate hormones). Provera (10mg 5days to inside period) So we tried Femara 2.5mg with several ultrasounds to check folicular growth. Nothing. Provera (10mg 5days to inside period) Tried 5mg Femara and had excellent follicle growth, but didn't ovulate. Provera (10mg 5days to inside period) Third cycle we did Femara 5mg with an HCG trigger shot. I became pregnant with that third round. I used vaginally inserted suppositories of progesterone from the day I found out I was pregnant (home pregnancy test) until I was 13wks along to be on the safe side. I didn't have low progesterone, but knew it was a potential effect of the PCOS. I wasn't willing to take chances and specifically requested it. I wasn't offered it. He agreed willingly without ever batting an eye. Made me feel good about my request and how willing he was to prescribe it to me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Cooper at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
$40 co-pay for each visit - included all bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc... $50 for one round of HCG trigger shots.
William Cooper
Bluffton
Very efficient, clean and compassionate. all the staff [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] was friendly and easy to talk to. Easy to work with my work schedule. As I was working full time at that point. We loved our dr and nurses and would recommend the clinic to a friend.... Kelly did a great job at being compassionate. I had to following up repeatedly on treatment with her but understood from the beginning that it was my responsibility to do so.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Very efficient, clean and compassionate. all the staff was friendly and easy to talk to. Easy to work with my work schedule. As I was working full time at that point. We loved our dr and nurses and would recommend the clinic to a friend.
I had frequent contact with Dr Sloweys staff and I felt like we were all in the same team. The day I had my firs ultra sound to confirm my pregnancy the ultra sound tech was crying happy tears with me. When I was ten weeks along and graduating to my regular obgyn, Dr Slowey gave me a Children’s book with a message of congratulations written in it. It meant a lot to us. I Highly recommend this clinic.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr Slowey is incredibly smart and explained things to my husband and I very clearly. Whenever he saw us he took his time and was compassionate. When we got pregnant after four rounds, he gave us a book with a message in it that meant a lot to my husband and I.
That the wait time is worth it. Be patient, and know that you are in excellent hands.
I have pcos and clomid, nor Femera were making me ovulate so we went straight to injectables. I was monitored by ultra sound and blood work every other day and then given a trigger shot to make me ovulate. We did timed intercourse the month that we conceived.
My insurance didn’t cover any of our procedures so we paid about 10,000 out of pocket in the four months we saw him.
Mount Pleasant
The IUI procedure cost $625 and the medicine was $300-350 [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]...The clinic provided a calming and inviting atmosphere which is so important! One thing I think they could work on is better communication with their patients. I had very little contact with my nurse coordinator due to her being out of town so frequently...My nurse was very helpful and friendly during the few visits I had with her. Unfortunately Kelly was out of town the majority of my time as a patient.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Dr. Slowey did an excellent job explaining everything and making sure my husband and I felt comfortable with the IUI process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Mollison )
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey was a very kind and professional doctor. I only met with him a few times but each time he made sure I understood anything I needed to know and answered any questions I had. He was very thorough in explaining the options we had and our diagnosis.
Make sure to write down any questions or concerns you may have to ask Dr. Slowey during your appointment. No question is a stupid one!
During my first IUI we used the lowest dosage of Gonal f and letrozole to hopefully prevent me from overstimulating. I only produced one follicle during my first cycle and unfortunately it was unsuccessful. On my second IUI we increased the amount of Gonal f injections as well as the dosage but had the same result, only one follicle and a negative pregnancy test.
My insurance covered the monitoring and blood work so I was left to pay for the procedure as well as the medicine. The IUI procedure cost $625 and the medicine was $300-350.
Describe Michael Slowey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
They [Coastal Fert Spec] are very caring and treat you with respect. When you walk into their facility it is almost like walking into a spa just very relaxing and peaceful. They also have good financial resources and will help you out in anyway to become a parent...She [nurse] went out of her way to answer all my questions and give me the emotional, physical support that I needed...Each iui was 525 not counting donor sperm
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They are very caring and treat you with respect. When you walk into their facility it is almost like walking into a spa just very relaxing and peaceful. They also have good financial resources and will help you out in anyway to become a parent
She was very down to earth and made me feel like it was important for me to be a mom and she would do everything she could to make me a mom
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jan Missildine )
She went out of her way to answer all my questions and give me the emotional, physical support that I needed
How was your experience with Heather Cook at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
She made me feel important when other doctors didn’t and she went out of her way to find a plan that worksh best for me. She was very understanding when I needed emotional support. She has always been with me from the beginning
That she is a very good doctor and if she needs help trying to figure out the correct plan for you to be on she will ask one of the other doctors.
Dr. Cook started me off with a unmedicated iui and when that didn’t worked we started on the clomid for iui and once that failed we started on clomid and ovidrel. We was able to conceive our daughter through this and now for baby number two we did 6 medicated iui and they all failed now we are moving on to ivf
Each iui was 525 not counting donor sperm or the ultrasounds and blood work needed. Ivf is 6100 up front
Mount Pleasant
The staff [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is very nice and personable. However, the higher medical staff is hard to meet with and are very rarely available to see on a non-appointment basis. There are so many branch offices that the doctors are spread thin and a patient does not know when or if they will see their doctor again. There is little medical support nor do I feel like I truly have a personal RE.... Cherub [nurse] is very nice, warm, and understanding on a face to face basic.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The staff is very nice and personable. However, the higher medical staff is hard to meet with and are very rarely available to see on a non-appointment basis. There are so many branch offices that the doctors are spread thin and a patient does not know when or if they will see their doctor again. There is little medical support nor do I feel like I truly have a personal RE.
He spoke rationally to me and allayed my concerns and fears. Plus, when I asked questions, he fully answered them. He was also sympathetic to my personal history.
Cherub is very nice, warm, and understanding on a face to face basic. She makes you feel like you are the only patient she has. However, on an correspondence level, she is horrible. Her emails are blunt, abrupt, and at times very cold. This is a major disconnect for the emotionally vulnerable patient.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is a little stand-offish at times but I believe that is cultural difference; i.e., North vs. South. It is also hard to actually meet with him rather than the nurses. I believe that is due to the size and number of branch offices the practice has rather his personal doing. However, he is very compassionate and when meeting, is fully present in the moment with you as a patient.
I would tell them to be prepared to rarely see him but trust in his plan for you, barring a major setback.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
The only weakness i could mention is the financial staff [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] dropped the ball on my insurance quote, however im not sure that was their fault. They worked well with us with getting bills paid, making appointments and working with us on the weekends...John Schnorr is amazing. His compassion and care exceeds all others. His relationship with his staff was great. I couldnt imagine having this procedure done with anyone else. There would not be one weekness not even the slightest hiccup occurred. Such a great man, and a awesome Doctor
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The only weekness i could mention is the financial staff dropped the ball on my insurance quote, however im not sure that was their fault. They worked well with us with getting bills paid, making appointments and working with us on the weekends.
When we came into the office we felt like we were the only one in that office. The Doctor would call us personally to see how things were going. Every time we met with the doctor or his nurse they asked questions about our life and remembered from visit to visit. I really feel like i made a friend with this doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Monique (Mo))
Mo was awesome. She was funny and caring. She was very very quick to respond to emails and phone calls. She related well to me. Mo was willing to take all the time she needed with me. She sat in the room with me for the entire time i was in recovery from my retrieval. This blew me away. So awesome!!!!!
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Get after it. Dont wait, and it is afforable if you want it to be.
Out insurance would not cover anything and it ended up costing about $17,000 with medications and monitoring, retrieval and implantation
2014 - 2018
Cost are high. Not all staff [Coastal Fertility Specialists] are trained equally on the billing process. Flexible schedule and a nurse always on call. Three doctors in clinic and cover one another. Everything done in office. Friendly staff. Multiple locations... Went in for monitoring when convenient with several locations to choose... [Cost Of Treatment] $15k to $20k for a entire cycle and meds... Best RN I could of asked for to treat me through this Lprocess.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Cost are high. Not all staff are trained equally on the billing process. Flexible schedule and a nurse always on call. Three doctors in clinic and cover one another. Everything done in office. Friendly staff. Multiple locations
Wanted to be treated as an individual and yet statistics were constantly used
Best RN I could of asked for to treat me through this Lprocess. Compassionate, understanding and flexible. Has always made herself available to me. Has been my personal cheerleader during the good and hard times.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Very likable. Candid, friendly, nice, available for questions, compassionate, knowledge and flexible. Sometimes focused to much on the negative of my condition and statistical outcomes. Pushed hard to use donor eggs but used my own.
Be persistent and ask questions
Lupron 10cc one week before cycle and after through stim and retrieval. Testosterone cream during same period but stopped at stim. Follistim 450IU 10-12 days. Omnitrope last 4 days of stim.
Went in for monitoring when convenient with several locations to choose
$15k to $20k for a entire cycle and meds
Mount Pleasant
Much of the clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists-Wilmington] was out dated. They needed renovations. Sometimes I felt like my privacy was not a main concern. The staff was friendly, but I feel the doctor used methods that were dated. ... The nurses were always friendly and would respond to me when asked a question or concern... I believe each IUI was around $300
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Much of the clinic was out dated. They needed renovations. Sometimes I felt like my privacy was not a main concern. The staff was friendly, but I feel the doctor used methods that were dated. I cannot think of anything else here
We got to know the staff well and felt like more than just a nimber
What specific things went wrong at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
How was your experience with William Cooper at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
At first we thought he was very thourough, however as time went on, we realized this was not the case. Several tests that should have been done were not. Also some information that he should have told us, he failed to
Research on your own and ask questions
We started with Femara alone and that was unsuccessful. He soon after recommended IUI which we did several times. He didn’t really tell us why this was the best option, but we believed he knew what was best. After several failed attempts, we were told about cysts I had on my ovaries. I felt this should have been told to me earlier in the process and by the doctor instead of a nurse.
I believe each IUI was around $300
William Cooper
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Overall this [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is a fabulous clinic, only complaint is when my nurse is away, and doesn’t let me know, or let me know who I should be in contact with if I need them. Everyone is kind, compassionate, and gentle...I like my nurse, she’s very kind...We’ve ran every test there is on both my husband and I. We’ve done metformin for my PCOS, we’ve done HSGs and injectable medications, and progesterone. I usually get pregnant but don’t stay pregnant.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Overall this is a fabulous clinic, only complaint is when my nurse is away, and doesn’t let me know, or let me know who I should be in contact with if I need them. Everyone is kind, compassionate, and gentle.
Dr. Slowey does an excellent job of being kind, sensitive, but also informative.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ribeiro )
I like my nurse, she’s very kind, however she doesn’t let me know when she will be out of the office for a while, which is inconvenient when you’re on a time frame.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey has been very thourough running every test he can think of for my husband and I both. Unfortunately reoccuring miscarriages are my issue, but he has been very comforting and kind. What’s left for us is IVF.
Do not be afraid to ask questions!
My insurance covers the appointments, but treatments are expensive.
3 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
The entire team [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] is wonderful, from front desk to finance to the embryologists. Doctors, nurses, and lab techs really seem to care about their patients and they take the time to get to know you. I feel like a good friend every time I walk in the door... Efficient, well-oiled machine. The longest I ever waited was 10 minutes.... Everyone is wonderful and caring and compassionate.
3 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The entire team is wonderful, from front desk to finance to the embryologists. Doctors, nurses, and lab techs really seem to care about their patients and they take the time to get to know you. I feel like a good friend every time I walk in the door.
Always called me after hours to check on me. Knows me by name and sight. Remembers points about me and my partner and inquired about the same.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Yes but it changed during the 2 year course of treatment )
Everyone is wonderful and caring and compassionate.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Personable, knowledgeable, comforting, committed to patient care. He genuinely seems to care about your goals and desires but is also realistic about the reality of your challenges and presents all of your options in an easy to understand way.
Ask all the questions. He will answer every one.
Efficient, well-oiled machine. The longest I ever waited was 10 minutes.
Mount Pleasant
IUI, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
We started with ultrasound, RPL and HSG to make sure that there weren't some other issues before delving into my treatment plan [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]. He [Dr. Michael Slowey] looked at my full health and fertility history...She [nurse] is awesome! Super personable and like a best friend almost...we had to pay upfront for all treatment ...Organized, beautiful and clean.
IUI, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Organized, beautiful and clean.
He has very good bedside manner, warm and kind but still very professional and informative. He treated me like a person and not a statistic and explained to me the whole process and why he was doing what he was doing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
She is awesome! Super personable and like a best friend almost.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I would just recommend him to anyone. He gave me the reality but also left me with a clear plan of action. I felt informed and hopeful. As I said before, he treats you as a person and not a statistic.
I don't have any.
We started with ultrasound, RPL and HSG to make sure that there weren't some other issues before delving into my treatment plan. He looked at my full health and fertility history.
Some of our costs were covered by insurance but we still had out of pocket and we had to pay upfront for all treatment and the portion that was not met by our insurance deductible.
Mount Pleasant
Smaller clinic [Coastal Fertility], flexible, easy to connect with staff as needed. Nothing negative to say, I was pleased with this clinic. I would go back and recommend others to go there! It was a good experience...[Nursing Staff] Very caring and quick to return a call...I loved Dr Fru. I felt like she really cared about me and was on a personal mission to get me pregnant! She was warm, friendly, always chatted with me in the office.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Smaller clinic, flexible, easy to connect with staff as needed. Nothing negative to say, I was pleased with this clinic. I would go back and recommend others to go there! It was a good experience....................
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Karenne Fru at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I loved Dr Fru. I felt like she really cared about me and was on a personal mission to get me pregnant! She was warm, friendly, always chatted with me in the office. She was caring and had good bedside manner when I had a miscarriage.
Very caring and quick to return a call.
How was your experience with Karenne Fru at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I think she was wonderful. She was knowledgeable and took the time to explain things to me. I felt like I knew what was going on and I felt included in the processes. I think she was caring and had good bedside manner.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Karenne Fru at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Take questions and she’ll find the answer!
Describe the protocols Karenne Fru used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
I did 6 IUIs with her. I did one cycle with clomid/ovidrel, then moved to injectable medicines (gonalF) for the last 5 cycles. She was agressive with my treatment because I had a bad experience with a doctor before her.
Karenne Fru
Wilimington
She [a nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists] never seemed to be in the office or available, took forever to call back, was unorganized, unprofessional, and did not give me any confidence in what we were doing. I almost quit the whole process because of her. After speaking to several other patients, I found we all had the same bad experiences.... They have a very efficient process down but it does remove to personal element. I felt like I was just being fit into an algorithm and was scared to ask questions, call, etc- anything that veered from protocol
Warm, comfortable, and private
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
She never seemed to be in the office or available, took forever to call back, was unorganized, unprofessional, and did not give me any confidence in what we were doing. I almost quit the whole process because of her. After speaking to several other patients, I found we all had the same bad experiences.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is absolutely wonderful and caring and knows what he's doing!
Go in ready to listen- he's not very concerned with health, activity, diet, etc. He has a formula and it works
He used pictures and drawings and wrote out percentages to give us a better idea of what treatment path to take
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Coastal was very upfront and informative about the cost of everything. They make it very easy to understand.... Dr. Cook was extremely helpful in explaining the IUI procedure and why she thought that was the best route to go. She had a very positive attitude and made us feel like she really cared. I would recommend her to friends. Coastal is a very busy clinic, because they are so successful.... Coastal is a very busy clinic, just felt I got lost in the shuffle
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Coastal is a very busy clinic, just felt I got lost in the shuffle.
Be patient
2012 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr Slowey and his team did an excellent job of explaining each and every step to us in full detail and walked us through the entire process from start to finish. Everyone in the office knew our names and we're very friendly and knowledgeable.
2012 - 2015