2221 S. 17th Street
Wilmington , NC 28401
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility to a friend?
9.7

1 doctor
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
I absolutely love the clinic [Coastal Reproductive Endo and Infertility]. I do wish there was a second doctor that could help fill in for the times dr Fru cannot be there but honestly she’s so great I don’t mind waiting for her. The facility is very nice and clean and all the staff are wonderful... The nursing staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. If they don’t have answers right away they make sure to get them for me quickly. If i call in I always have a call back from them within a few hours. Couldn’t ask for better care.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.
I absolutely love the clinic. I do wish there was a second doctor that could help fill in for the times dr Fru cannot be there but honestly she’s so great I don’t mind waiting for her. The facility is very nice and clean and all the staff are wonderful. No complaints.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Karenne Fru at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility?
Dr. Fru takes the time to get to know her patients. She always knew my husband and me by name as well as being knowledgeable about our care. When I had a miscarriage Dr.Fru and her team were there for us as we needed them and went above and beyond for our care. I don’t think any other doctor could have been more helpful at such a heartbreaking time.
How was your experience with Karenne Fru at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility?
Dr. Fru is a wonderful doctor. She provided the best possible car for me and my husband and when we lost our child via miscarriage she delivered the news with compassion and understanding of what I was going through. She gave us time to process each step and explained thoroughly all of our options without being pushy. I couldn’t ask for better care or a better doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Karenne Fru at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility?
I would say to listen to her advice and use her as a guide through the process. Be knowledgeable but ask as many questions as you’d like because she’s truly there to help you and she can’t serve you best if she doesn’t know your concerns.
Describe the protocols Karenne Fru used in your cycles at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility and their degree of success.
I was diagnosed with pcos and referred to another doctor. He had my husband do a semen analysis but following that put me on Clomid. I took clomid over 3 months to no avail. My friend was seeing dr Fru and loved her so I transferred. She immediately did testing to check my Fallopian tubes and uterus as well as other testing. My husband was checked again as well. Both of us had great results although through bloodwork she determined i was in need of a few different meds. She put me on metformin, prenatal vitamins, thyroid meds, and vitamin d. Following the testing we started our fist iui cycle (we decided to take this route over time intercourse since we had been trying for over a year.) she put me on Femara and then when that didn’t work she bumped me up to a higher dosage. Once my follicles were big enough she had me do a trigger shot with ovidrel then iui. that month did not work but month 2 using the same medications I was pregnant. Between week 10 and 11 i has a miscarriage then a d&c procedure. A month or so of recovery then 2 more iuis using he same methods. We took a break for a few months while dr fru was on maternity leave and while my husband was deployed but resumed treatment in January 2018. Since then I have had one more iui treatment cycle. The Femara that had previously worked did not work so she put me on clomid. It was a long cycle but finally I had mature enough follicles to proceed with iui. It did not take. I am currently in another treatment cycle and taking clomid again. We plan to try iui a few more times with hope it works before switching to Ivf.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Karenne Fru at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.
I don’t remember exact costs but my husband is military and we have a very modest to low income and are able to make the payments to see her for treatments. We are very lucky with good healthcare coverage the does help as well as my mom who helps us offset the costs.
Wilmington

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Karenne Fru at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
The older women at the front desk [at Coastal Reproductive Endo and Infertility] or sometimes rude and not very friendly when you had questions to ask. Sometimes I felt like I was bothering them and when you were already in a sensitive situation the last thing you need is somebody like that to deal with... The IUIs were quite expensive And I think I would have preferred to spend the money on IVF if I knew my IVF options better
European, Latino
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
The older women at the front desk or sometimes rude and not very friendly when you had questions to ask. Sometimes I felt like I was bothering them and when you were already in a sensitive situation the last thing you need is somebody like that to deal with
You never felt rushed when speaking with her she took extra time to speak with you and was very informative as well as patient and kind. Explained herself during every course of treatment . One of the most genuine doctors I have ever met.
They all seem very nice and responded to their voicemails quickly
She was extremely sweet as well I was informative. She showed compassion during my miscarriages and was extremely professional but also made you feel at ease and very comfortable and like you knew her for years. You can tell she truly cares about her patients and that you are never does her number. She never seems like she is rushing off to the next appointment she is very relaxed during every appointment and willing to answer Every and any question you ever have for her
She is not as experience with IVF procedure is at her facility because they are new to them however be prepared to be relaxed with a great doctor and team
Her protocol was to do to 2 IUI. When those failed to be looked into possibly checking to see if I had endometriosis however she recommended that if IVF was something we wanted to do that the cost would be well spent on IVF rather than surgery for endometrio sis. So she was very upfront about my options
Wilmington

We did 2 cycles of Clomid and timed intercourse [at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility]. I was surprised at how much monitoring we had to do for these cycles. I went in for 2-3 ultrasounds each cycle and had blood work drawn each time. I know Dr. Fru was being extra careful and wanted to make sure we didn't over stimulate the ovaries, but I was still surprised because I had friends on Clomid given to them by their gynecologists that did zero monitoring. Go figure for both of them it worked and for me it didn't, despite great results on the ultrasounds.
I found Dr. Fru to be an incredibly positive person. We had been struggling to conceive for over a year by the time we met with her. We were told that we could do several rounds of Clomid and timed intercourse before moving on to Clomid and IUI. She told us we could switch to the next step at any point in the treatment. We did 2 rounds of Clomid, 100MG, and timed intercourse. There was a lot of monitoring involved in this cycle. Dr. Fru was always very hopeful and positive while going through this process. She made us feel that we were really making moves in the right direction. However, only later when I went to a different doctor did I find out that there was only a 4% chance of success with each of these treatments. I did appreciate Dr. Fru's positivity, but I wish I had been provided with the odds of success for these treatments. I think had I known the rate of success we would have proceeded to IUI and IVF more quickly.
I would advise patients to ask for the rates of success for the treatments they are doing if that is something that they feel may help them make a decision. I wasn't presented with any of this information and I wish I had been because I would've used it to guide our treatments.
We did 2 cycles of Clomid and timed intercourse. I was surprised at how much monitoring we had to do for these cycles. I went in for 2-3 ultrasounds each cycle and had blood work drawn each time. I know Dr. Fru was being extra careful and wanted to make sure we didn't over stimulate the ovaries, but I was still surprised because I had friends on Clomid given to them by their gynecologists that did zero monitoring. Go figure for both of them it worked and for me it didn't, despite great results on the ultrasounds.
Karenne Fru

The clinic [Coastal Reproductive Endo & Infertility] is still small, Dr. Fru is the only reproductive endocrinologist so it is very busy. But Dr. Fru is very compassionate and makes sure you are not inconvenienced. It is connected to a OB Gyn office which isn't always the best. Sometimes after another failed cycle it is hard to go and see a pregnant women checking in in front of you.... Most of the nurses are great, but onenurse I have found to not be compassionate and even rude.
The clinic is still small, Dr. Fru is the only reproductive endocrinologist so it is very busy. But Dr. Fru is very compassionate and makes sure you are not inconvenienced. It is connected to a OB Gyn office which isn't always the best. Sometimes after another failed cycle it is hard to go and see a pregnant women checking in in front of you.
Dr. Fru is very personable, she really remembers you as a person and speaks to you as such.
I have no bad words about Dr. Fru, she is amazing, compassionate, and funny which I find to be an important part of the process. She explains everything very well and is straight forward about you, your partner, and your treatments. I would always recommend her.
Come in trustworthy, Dr. Fru is not going to push any larger treatment on you until she has explored all other options.
I just finished my first IUI and before she had me take femara and then come in for an ultrasound, after the ultrasound showed my follicles weren't the right size she had me take clomid additionally then come in for another ultrasound, that one showed my follicles a good size and we went on to a trigger shot then IUI
With my IUI including sperm wash was right at $500 but the trigger shot was $100
Describe Karenne Fru's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.
Wilmington

Everybody is very friendly at the clinic [Coastal Reproductive Endocrinoloty & Infertility]. Everything was very clean. We were treated like people and not numbers. There were no weaknesses I noticed with the clinic. Dr. Fru is a great doctor and does not sugar coat anything, which my husband and I appreciated. ... Our iui was $300 under Dr. Fru, plus the cost of clomid which was not covered under our insurance, but was not expensive, and the cost of the trigger shot, which was around $100. We were quoted $12,000-$18,000 for IVF when we begin that in 2019
Everybody is very friendly at the clinic. Everything was very clean. We were treated like people and not numbers. There were no weaknesses I noticed with the clinic. Dr. Fru is a great doctor and does not sugar coat anything, which my husband and I appreciated.
I felt like a human because she seemed to genuinely care about myself and my husband. She took the time to explain everything thoroughly and gave us realistic odds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.
Everybody was very friendly.
Dr. Fru always took her time to explain in detail what each procedure would entail. She treated us like people instead of just another copay coming through the door. When we couldn’t do our last iui due to too low sperm count she gave us different options instead of just saying she couldn’t help us.
Think positive. Dr. Fru is a great doctor and very knowledgeable.
Dr. Fru had me on clomid on cycle days 5-9, then on cd 11 I went in for an ultrasound, when my eggs were the correct size I would give myself a trigger shot at 10pm and then 2 days later I went in for the iui. Unfortunately due to male factor they were not successful.
Wilmington

I think this clinics [Coastal Reproductive] willingness to go above and beyond is a huge strength. At our old clinic I felt like a number getting rushed and dealt with just to move on to the next and this clinic is nothing like that. The only weakness I can think of is location (but that’s relative) for us coming from Jacksonville it’s a little bit of a drive but well worth it I’d say!... We have had several after hour chats and they weren’t rushing us off the phone. They take the time needed to get to a solution whatever the problem may be.
I think this clinics willingness to go above and beyond is a huge strength. At our old clinic I felt like a number getting rushed and dealt with just to move on to the next and this clinic is nothing like that. The only weakness I can think of is location (but that’s relative) for us coming from Jacksonville it’s a little bit of a drive but well worth it I’d say!
They went out of their way from day one to help work around our busy/changing schedule and went above and beyond.
Very kind, professional , willing to work with you and goes above and beyond. But most of all she makes me feel hopeful and that is a very good feeling to have when dealing with such a sensitive and frustrating thing.
Keep pushing for what you want until you get to a doctor that listens.