Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility

Wilmington
2221 S. 17th Street
Wilmington , NC 28401
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility to a friend?
1 doctor
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
I absolutely love the clinic [Coastal Reproductive Endo and Infertility]. I do wish there was a second doctor that could help fill in for the times dr Fru cannot be there but honestly she’s so great I don’t mind waiting for her. The facility is very nice and clean and all the staff are wonderful... The nursing staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. If they don’t have answers right away they make sure to get them for me quickly. If i call in I always have a call back from them within a few hours. Couldn’t ask for better care.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.
I absolutely love the clinic. I do wish there was a second doctor that could help fill in for the times dr Fru cannot be there but honestly she’s so great I don’t mind waiting for her. The facility is very nice and clean and all the staff are wonderful. No complaints.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Karenne Fru at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility?
Dr. Fru takes the time to get to know her patients. She always knew my husband and me by name as well as being knowledgeable about our care. When I had a miscarriage Dr.Fru and her team were there for us as we needed them and went above and beyond for our care. I don’t think any other doctor could have been more helpful at such a heartbreaking time.
How was your experience with Karenne Fru at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility?
Dr. Fru is a wonderful doctor. She provided the best possible car for me and my husband and when we lost our child via miscarriage she delivered the news with compassion and understanding of what I was going through. She gave us time to process each step and explained thoroughly all of our options without being pushy. I couldn’t ask for better care or a better doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Karenne Fru at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility?
I would say to listen to her advice and use her as a guide through the process. Be knowledgeable but ask as many questions as you’d like because she’s truly there to help you and she can’t serve you best if she doesn’t know your concerns.
Describe the protocols Karenne Fru used in your cycles at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility and their degree of success.
I was diagnosed with pcos and referred to another doctor. He had my husband do a semen analysis but following that put me on Clomid. I took clomid over 3 months to no avail. My friend was seeing dr Fru and loved her so I transferred. She immediately did testing to check my Fallopian tubes and uterus as well as other testing. My husband was checked again as well. Both of us had great results although through bloodwork she determined i was in need of a few different meds. She put me on metformin, prenatal vitamins, thyroid meds, and vitamin d. Following the testing we started our fist iui cycle (we decided to take this route over time intercourse since we had been trying for over a year.) she put me on Femara and then when that didn’t work she bumped me up to a higher dosage. Once my follicles were big enough she had me do a trigger shot with ovidrel then iui. that month did not work but month 2 using the same medications I was pregnant. Between week 10 and 11 i has a miscarriage then a d&c procedure. A month or so of recovery then 2 more iuis using he same methods. We took a break for a few months while dr fru was on maternity leave and while my husband was deployed but resumed treatment in January 2018. Since then I have had one more iui treatment cycle. The Femara that had previously worked did not work so she put me on clomid. It was a long cycle but finally I had mature enough follicles to proceed with iui. It did not take. I am currently in another treatment cycle and taking clomid again. We plan to try iui a few more times with hope it works before switching to Ivf.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Karenne Fru at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.
I don’t remember exact costs but my husband is military and we have a very modest to low income and are able to make the payments to see her for treatments. We are very lucky with good healthcare coverage the does help as well as my mom who helps us offset the costs.
Karenne Fru
Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
Wilmington
We did 2 cycles of Clomid and timed intercourse [at Coastal Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility]. I was surprised at how much monitoring we had to do for these cycles. I went in for 2-3 ultrasounds each cycle and had blood work drawn each time. I know Dr. Fru was being extra careful and wanted to make sure we didn't over stimulate the ovaries, but I was still surprised because I had friends on Clomid given to them by their gynecologists that did zero monitoring. Go figure for both of them it worked and for me it didn't, despite great results on the ultrasounds.
I found Dr. Fru to be an incredibly positive person. We had been struggling to conceive for over a year by the time we met with her. We were told that we could do several rounds of Clomid and timed intercourse before moving on to Clomid and IUI. She told us we could switch to the next step at any point in the treatment. We did 2 rounds of Clomid, 100MG, and timed intercourse. There was a lot of monitoring involved in this cycle. Dr. Fru was always very hopeful and positive while going through this process. She made us feel that we were really making moves in the right direction. However, only later when I went to a different doctor did I find out that there was only a 4% chance of success with each of these treatments. I did appreciate Dr. Fru's positivity, but I wish I had been provided with the odds of success for these treatments. I think had I known the rate of success we would have proceeded to IUI and IVF more quickly.
I would advise patients to ask for the rates of success for the treatments they are doing if that is something that they feel may help them make a decision. I wasn't presented with any of this information and I wish I had been because I would've used it to guide our treatments.
We did 2 cycles of Clomid and timed intercourse. I was surprised at how much monitoring we had to do for these cycles. I went in for 2-3 ultrasounds each cycle and had blood work drawn each time. I know Dr. Fru was being extra careful and wanted to make sure we didn't over stimulate the ovaries, but I was still surprised because I had friends on Clomid given to them by their gynecologists that did zero monitoring. Go figure for both of them it worked and for me it didn't, despite great results on the ultrasounds.
Karenne Fru