Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
4600 Hale Pkwy #350
Denver, CO 80220
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology to a friend?
1 doctor
I (the husband) would call [Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology] with questions, or to schedule an appointment, and the nurse wouldn't call me back. The nurse would, instead, call and leave a message with my wife, who was unable to take the call while at work. This resulted in a few delays....The younger staff lacked a certain professionalism, which is to be expected, but most of the staff seemed to be like-minded with Dr Trout.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Dr Trout isn't the most hand-on with procedures, nor the most aggressive with treatment plans. If you're expecting a "one and done" clinic, this isn't the place. This is not to say that her methods aren't effective, it more a matter of her personal approach to the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan Trout at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology?
Dr Trout demonstrated thorough medical knowledge, yet also showed plenty of relational empathy from her own journey. She ackowledged our feelings, and the difficulty of the process we're going through.
Most of the cursing staff treated us like actual people, and not like nameless "cases." The younger staff lacked a certain professionalism, which is to be expected, but most of the staff seemed to be like-minded with Dr Trout.
What specific things went wrong at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology?
How was your experience with Susan Trout at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology?
Our first visit with Dr Trout was about one year from our first attempts to concieve naturally. We had a LOT of questions, since we were relatively new to this process. She was very patient with us and answered our many questions with an appropriate level of detail. My wife and I got the sense that Dr Trout genuinely likes reproductive endocrinology, but just as importantly, enjoys helping people through their journey. Although Dr Trout did not personally administer the tests or procedures that we explored, we felt that she always had time for us whenever we needed counsel or information.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan Trout at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology?
I would advise anyone seeing Dr Trout to be an information sponge. Get informed. Do a little research on your own, come with questions, and be prepared for answers. Along these lines, I would advise new patients of Dr Trout what a reasonable test/procedure schedule might be for your circumstances, as well as the costs involved, possible side effects, and chances of success for those procedures.
Describe the protocols Susan Trout used in your cycles at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology and their degree of success.
Dr Trout seemed to encourage a minimalist strategy; starting with scheduled intercourse, then adding in the next least invasive assistance each cycle. My wife and I made some of our own adjustments as needed, but our treatment planhas been incrementally more aggressive each cycle: 1) scheduled intercourse, 2) unmedicated IUI, 3) Clomid and scheduled intercourse, 4) Clomid, Ovidrel, and IUI, 5) currently planning another Clomid and scheduled intercourse cycle, followed by 6) injectables and IUI, and 7) possible IVF after that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan Trout at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Our costs were slightly less than what we expected. Each IUI was between $400-$500, Ovidrel was much cheaper than expected at $110/per, and other tests were exactly as expected.
Denver
The clinic [Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology] is relatively small, so we meet the same staff over and over.... which makes it feel personal, and they still do weekend appointments as needed. We haven't seen Dr. Trout herself much; the vast majority of our interactions are with the nurses (and on the weekend, the nurses aren't there, just the techs).... We've worked with two nurses. They went over test results and treatment plans in person. They are really great at answering questions by phone; they take the call immediately or call back within an hour usually.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
It's small, which makes it feel personal, and they still do weekend appointments as needed. We haven't seen Dr. Trout herself much; the vast majority of our interactions are with the nurses (and on the weekend, the nurses aren't there, just the techs). Dr. Trout's approach is minimally invasive, which also means you start with less expensive options. We like that, but some people may prefer to jump into a super aggressive approach.
Dr. Trout and her staff are friendly and kind. The clinic is relatively small, so we meet the same staff over and over. Dr. Trout spent a lot of time answering our questions about treatment and possible causes for our infertility that can't be explained by testing.
We've worked with two nurses. They went over test results and treatment plans in person. They are really great at answering questions by phone; they take the call immediately or call back within an hour usually. That flexibility helps because we don't have to go into the office unless we're doing an actual test or procedure.
Dr. Trout is good at explaining things and answering all our questions in a way that is easy to understand. She's also candid about tests and procedures that are unnecessary, which we really appreciate since we're self-pay (she didn't order a whole bunch of stuff that wasn't going to help). She is direct and kind at the same time, and I feel like she understands not just the biology but also the emotional toll.
I think it helps to go in with questions prepared, whether about your insurance or your procedures.
Since we have unexplained infertility, we started with Clomid IUIs, which seems to be fairly standard.
Our testing was covered by insurance. IUIs were around $450-ish, not including the cost of drugs.
Describe Susan Trout's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Denver
It's a small office [Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology] and they consistently had me work with the same nurse which meant she knew what was going on when I spoke to her....It was great to have one person consistently, which was very different from my experience at a different doctors office previously. She is very succinct, to the point, without excessive emotion which I appreciate. She is willing to go to bat for me when needed.... I don't feel at all like I get lost amongst the noise. I recognize almost all the staff, and the doctor callede from her cell phone one time when needed. It's much more personal than other places I've been.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Great that it's small - I don't feel at all like I get lost amongst the noise. I recognize almost all the staff, and the doctor callede from her cell phone one time when needed. It's much more personal than other places I've been.
It's a small office and they consistently had me work with the same nurse which meant she knew what was going on when I spoke to her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology. (Assigned nurse: The fabulous Melinda)
What specific things went wrong at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology?
She is good at responding to questions and providing information when asked but she is somewhat passive about trying different things and doing diagnostics when things don't work. I had to ask for it, and ask a lot of questions about what other options we could try. With that said, she is not scary or intimidating and when I told her that acupuncture seemed to work she was very willing to hear it and adjust accordingly which I appreciated because some doctors won't consider alternative methods.
Be politely proactive and ask lots of questions about what other things to try, and what she seeing in the results.
I had donor embryos. We tried a LOT of estrogen to get my lining thick enough, and progesterone. She was also willing to try (and she was the one who suggested) something experimental - an expensive drug usually used to fight cancer, that has inconsistent results in helping to thicken lining. I liked it that she was willing to try it and to go to bat with my health insurance provider to try to get it covered.
Not sure how to answer this. It seems in line with others.
They explained the pros and cons of one embryo versus multiple and helped me think through it.
Denver
CRE is small, so you get to know all of the staff there (even if they don't remember you)....Last week I went in to CRE for blood work. When I was sitting in the waiting room, both Dr. Trout and my nurse Melinda walked through the waiting room at separate times. I said hello to each of them, having met each multiple times for my 2 consultations, 3 ultrasounds and 3 IUIs, in which they both were treating me. Neither of them said hello in return and looked at me like they didn't recognize me.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
One example: last week I went in to CRE for blood work. When I was sitting in the waiting room, both Dr. Trout and my nurse Melinda walked through the waiting room at separate times. I said hello to each of them, having met each multiple times for my 2 consultations, 3 ultrasounds and 3 IUIs, in which they both were treating me. Neither of them said hello in return and looked at me like they didn't recognize me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology. (Assigned nurse: Melinda)
Melinda was very terse and seemed almost dismissive when talking to you. Felt like a strict teacher who you know has your best interests at heart (hopefully) but who your interactions with are not overly pleasant.
Dr. Trout is clearly very bright, and is kind, but not great with talking through all aspects of procedures, treatment, medication. I was disappointed that her nurse did 95% of my intake consultation and I only spent the last 5% of the appointment with Dr Trout, where she didn't ask me any questions really about medical history etc, but began prescribing treatment. I feel like Dr Trout is extremely bright and qualified, but I never quite felt comfortable as her patient - she was a bit impersonal and hard to communicate with.
3 rounds of IUI: #1 and #2 w/ 50 mg clomid days 3-8, ovidrel injection. #3 w/100 mg clomid days 3-8.
Each IUI was out of pocket $450 I believe. Plus an ultrasound each cycle ($150) and medications (clomid and ovidrel were total around $200 each month). Grand total for 3 IUIs plus consultations was probably between $2500-$3000.
2005 - 2011
It is a small office [CO Repro Endo]. I liked that approach rather than a situation where I might just be a number. I felt like she knew all of the patients in her [Dr. Trout] office because it was smaller. Also it was a nice building. Easy parking and of course clean...They [nursing staff] explained what would happen next. When I called they helped guide me as far as when to have an ultrasound. They helped bridge the care between seeing Dr. Trout. They clearly communicated with her.
2005 - 2011
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
It is a small office. I liked that approach rather than a situation where I might just be a number. I felt like she knew all of the patients in her office because it was smaller. Also it was a nice building. Easy parking and of course clean.
She saw me for all of my visits. The IUIs were done by her nurse, but as a physician I may have been treated better than if I were not? I do not know that, but she waas very forthcoming about what I needed to know and we had a good rapport.
They explained what would happen next. When I called they helped guide me as far as when to have an ultrasound. They helped bridge the care between seeing Dr. Trout. They clearly communicated with her.
She was able to communicate what I needed to know and I understood the odds of getting pregnant. When I asked her how I could increase my odds she let me know the choices I had. I have heard other doctors refuse to allow an IUI simply because of a patient's age. She did not ever tell me that.
Be well informed about what it means to be inseminated. Be sure you want to move forward. Come to the office with questions at hand and ask them so you know what you need to know before you leave. Do not be afraid to ask if you are confused. This actually goes for any doctor visit.
We moved to clomid after my first IUI. Based on my numbers I was less likely to become pregnant without medication. Fortunately, I was pregnant on my second IUI for each child. We started with clomid and a trigger shot for my second pregnancy as I nad needed clomid for my first.
About $3000 total.
I only did IUIs
2011 - 2016
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
We lived nearly three hours away from the clinic [Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology]. They worked with our local health clinic to do the ultrasounds. My hometown clinic would send over ultrasounds every morning and CRE would call by noon with the results and the next set of protocol...Everyone greeted my husband and I by name and always made sure we were comfortable. At the beginning, I felt that we jumped into planning my IVF cycle without getting all the results to make sure it was time. I was disappointed when we had the cycle completely planned out only to get results back later and find that a certain issue had to be fixed first. It was easy to readjust the schedule, but it was very overwhelming.
2011 - 2016
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Every day I walked into the clinic I felt as if I were among friends. Everyone greeted my husband and I by name and always made sure we were comfortable. At the beginning, I felt that we jumped into planning my IVF cycle without getting all the results to make sure it was time. I was disappointed when we had the cycle completely planned out only to get results back later and find that a certain issue had to be fixed first. It was easy to readjust the schedule, but it was very overwhelming.
The process is a very emotional process and Dr. Troutaddressed all of my concerns even when I was emotional. She answered emails, her assistants made phone calls. I never had any issues getting a hold of her or her staff to answer any of my questions or concerns.
Dr. Trout was always very forward with the results of our test but also showed compassion on helping me deal with all the emotions that went along with IVF. She made recommendations, was easy to contact and discuss questions with, and made me feel comfortable very time she walked into the room.
Be open with her, let her see your raw emotion, and she will show you compassion and hope!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
We lived nearly three hours away from the clinic. They worked with our local health clinic to do the ultrasounds. My hometown clinic would send over ultrasounds every morning and CRE would call by noon with the results and the next set of protocol.
2013
Endometriosis, PCOS
I had a cyst on my ovary that she [Dr Trout at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology] did not remove during surgery because she inaccurately diagnosed it as a poly cystic ovary. The cyst continued to grow because it was an endometrial cyst. Eventually I landed myself in the ER because it was hemorrhaging blood and was the size of my ovary itself. She also missed endometriosis on my fallopian tubes. Also, incorrectly informed me that endometriosis cannot return a few months after a laparoscopy when absolutely it can.
2013
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Just don't go here, seriously.
She misdiagnosed me with many things. Had she paid better attention, I might not be on my third RE.
It took 4 months after the laparoscopy was done for anyone to get in touch with me regarding the results and stage of the endometriosis. Although, the results they gave me were probably inaccurate as well.
What specific things went wrong at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology?
I had a cyst on my ovary that she did not remove during surgery because she inaccurately diagnosed it as a poly cystic ovary. The cyst continued to grow because it was an endometrial cyst. Eventually I landed myself in the ER because it was hemorrhaging blood and was the size of my ovary itself. She also missed endometriosis on my fallopian tubes. Also, incorrectly informed me that endometriosis cannot return a few months after a laparoscopy when absolutely it can. However, thanks to this experience, I have helped to found a non-profit called the Endo Challenge which focuses on raising awareness for endometriosis and providing ACCURATE information to sufferers. Do not, under any circumstances, go into surgery with Susan Trout.
Don't do it. Find a new doctor!!!
The only treatment was metformin for a pcos cyst that I didn't have.
Considering half of the stuff they told me I needed, I didn't really need, I'd say I was definitely overcharged.
Denver
All staff [at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology] are professional, caring and knowledgeable. Her front desk staff, specifically Rose, are very helpful and organized....Everything was out of pocket as infertility was not covered by my insurance....Dr. Trout has great bedside manner and is very thorough in her explanation of your care and treatment plan. While it's standard to only meet with her at your initial visit (and likely when your plan needs adjusting), she is very open and willing to meet with you privately should you feel the need.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Very pleased with the clinic and overall experience.
The members of her office referred to me and my husband by name every visit. They were always very welcoming and friendly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology. (Assigned nurse: Sharon)
All staff are professional, caring and knowledgeable. Her front desk staff, specifically Rose, are very helpful and organized.
Have questions ready so she can give you thoughtful and detailed answers about what to expect.
Dr. Trout is open to all types of treatment and isn't quick to put you on loads of hormones if she feels a certain treatment / drug may be successful. She adjusted my plan accordingly and introduced various medicines and hormones only when needed.
Everything was out of pocket as infertility was not covered by my insurance.
2012
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Other, Unexplained
I received bad news 4 total cycles with Dr. Trout's office and each time the nurses called with that bad news they were compassionate and understanding. They have seen so many ups and downs that they could be crude and not care. They take their time and understand what each patient is going through.... A little more comfort in the waiting room would be nice. As a new patient come prepared for a great introduction to fertility and when your blood results come in bring a notepad because you will learn something.
2012
European, Native American, Other
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
She was very open about my treatment and diagnosis. She explained to me why and how each step was done.
Dr. Trout was candid with me, she actually put me in a positive mindset, I had been transferred over from an OB-Gyn and she was sure to look through their findings and focus on what needed to be done with me.
Be open, and let her know all of your concerns. She listens and will do her best to answer them.
I don't remember, unfortunately.