LGBTQ+ Care
LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

Strongly recommend: 100%9.9
Jenna Turocy
Iris Insogna
Zev Williams
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

Briana Rudick

244 Westchester Ave
West Harrison, NY 10604

2022 - 2023, Unsuccessful
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Insogna is the most compassionate, kind, and brilliant doctor I could ever hope to have. She's so warm and encouraging, always holding out hope (while remaining realistic), but erring on the side of positivity...She's also unbelievably accessible both over email and by phone, and she's always very quick to respond to all of my questions and very thorough in her responses...whenever possible, she does my ultrasounds herself. It feels like she goes out of her way to do them and to make sure that we can see each other in person.
Columbia is a wonderful clinic. Like other large clinics, you're likely to see a variety of doctors, nurses, radiology technicians, etc. when you go in. I had excellent experiences with all of them. Everyone was professional, courteous, and knowledgeable. The clinic itself is very comfortable. It feels surprisingly intimate, given how many patients it sees. I almost never have to wait more than a few minutes to be seen for morning monitoring. The receptionists at the front desk are helpful and warm. The office is also very physically pleasant.
How was your experience with Iris Insogna at Columbia University?
If I could give Dr. Insogna a rating of 100 instead of 10, I would. I'd give her a 1,000. From the moment I started working with her, I felt totally at ease with her. At every turn, I've felt like she's my advocate. When things go well, I feel like she's genuinely excited for me, and when I've had setbacks, I feel like she's truly disappointed for me. She’s just unbelievably knowledgeable and brilliant, versed in the latest research and clinical techniques. I completely trust her opinion about everything, but I also feel that she listens to and supports my wishes. She doesn't have a pushy top-down doctor-knows-best agenda (even though she really does know best). I feel like we're partners and collaborators. She acknowledges that I'm the expert on how I'm feeling in my own body and how I feel about different courses of treatment. She's an amazing communicator and explains everything clearly, thoroughly, and in straightforward language. No question is too small for her. She treats my silly questions about fringe nutritional supplements with as much seriousness and respect as she treats my questions about medical procedures. She's incredibly accessible over email and by phone and never makes me feel rushed. She always makes me feel like she has unlimited time to answer my questions. I've also been so impressed by how knowledgeable she is about financing IVF. She acknowledges how expensive it is and collaborates with the billing department to make sure that we have insurance coverage before moving forward. When our insurance provider initially blocked me for treatment, claiming that I didn't qualify as "infertile," she very patiently (and effectively) convinced them that I do meet the criteria. She’s so compassionate, so smart, so caring and kind and great. I could not trust Dr. Insogna more or hold her in higher esteem. She's absolutely amazing. I feel so unbelievably lucky to be working with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Iris Insogna at Columbia University?
I'd advise prospective patients to ask her any questions you have. She'll answer every one of your questions with thoughtfulness and care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Iris Insogna at Columbia University?
Dr. Insogna is the most compassionate, kind, and brilliant doctor I could ever hope to have. She's so warm and encouraging, always holding out hope (while remaining realistic), but erring on the side of positivity. Throughout this challenging process, she's always said such caring, things, going out of her way to reassure me that I'm doing everything right and haven't done anything wrong. She’s quick to acknowledge the emotional and psychological challenges of IVF as well as the physical ones, and she’s always validated my feelings. She's also unbelievably accessible both over email and by phone, and she's always very quick to respond to all of my questions and very thorough in her responses. (She responds the same day I email, often within hours—sometimes within minutes!) She never, ever makes me feel rushed--she acts like she has all the time in the world for me. In terms of clinical care, whenever possible, she does my ultrasounds herself. It feels like she goes out of her way to do them and to make sure that we can see each other in person. I opted to do a natural embryo transfer (which makes the timing impossible to predict), and she was so kind in expressing disappointment that she wouldn't be able to be the one to do the procedure herself (but she also reassured me about the excellent doctor who did do the transfer). She's also always really mindful of issues around consent and making her patients feel as comfortable as possible, even during uncomfortable procedures. So, for example, whenever she's done my ultrasound, she's started by saying, "Is it okay if we get started?" I've always really appreciated that. She also shows me the ultrasound and explains everything she sees. I’ve been really moved, too, by her remarkable recall of personal details about my life. She remembered, for instance, that I was in the middle of a home renovation and living upstate for a while. I know that she has lots of patients, so it blows me away how much of a personal connection I feel that I have with her. And she was willing to tell me about her own experiences with IVF, which I truly appreciated. (She has also shared this on Columbia's website.) Knowing that my doctor has gone through the same treatments I have has been so heartening. I feel like she really understands what I've been going through. On top of all that, she's funny. And she always uses her first name with me, which makes me feel even more like we have a human connection. She's just the best doctor ever. I feel like I won the lottery in getting to work with her. I’m just so grateful.
Describe the protocols Iris Insogna used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
For my first retrieval cycle, she started with a relatively conservative/low dose of Menopur (I think 150 units) in order to try to give me the lowest dose possible, but she gradually increased it over the course of the cycle as I required the maximum dose (300 iu) for ovary stimulation. I was also on 300 iu of Gonal-F. I think I used Cetrotide, Ovidrel, and Leuprolide to trigger. I had 10 follicles and five eggs retrieved, three of which fertilized normally and two of which made it to blastocyst. Neither was genetically normal. For my second retrieval, she kept me on 300 iu of Menopur and 300 iu of Gonal-F, but she moved me to microcode Lupron in the mornings and evenings (I think 20 iu each time). I believe that I only used the Ovidrel to trigger (but I could be wrong about that). I had 9 follicles, five of which were retrieved (one was matured overnight in culture), three of which (including the one that matured in culture overnight) fertilized normally, two made it to blastocyst, and one was genetically normal. For my third IVF round, I had asked Dr. Insogna about mini IVF, so we tried a hybrid treatment. I took some oral medications (I don't remember which ones--maybe Clomid?) along with lighter doses of injectables. But only two of my follicles were growing, so we decided to cancel that round. (At that point, I thought that insurance would only cover three rounds, and it seemed like a waste given that the other rounds had gone better.) My next round went worse than expected, and I'm almost certain it's because I got very sick right beforehand. My sickness (not Covid) delayed my period for nine days, and I have a very regular cycle, so that was weird. I kept the same protocol as for cycle two above, but I only had, I think, 7 follicles, five of which were retrieved (three matured in culture overnight). I think 2-3 of them fertilized, but none made it to blastocyst. I decided to do a fourth round because when I went in for an evaluation for an embryo transfer, it turned out that I had 14 follicles that month. We kept the same protocol from cycles two and three, and eight eggs were retrieved. Six of them were mature, three fertilized, and two made it to blastocyst. Unfortunately, neither was genetically normal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: I worked with a lot of nurses, but mostly Haley Roche)
Haley is really kind and approachable. She set up a Zoom with me before I did my first egg retrieval and showed me how to inject all of the medications (even though I'd done an egg retrieval years earlier at a different clinic). She always responds to my emails quickly and thoroughly.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Iris Insogna at Columbia University.
I am extremely fortunate that I have really comprehensive health insurance, so I've had to pay very little out of pocket to see Dr. Insogna. I realize how incredibly lucky I am.
Describe Iris Insogna's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
I only had one embryo, so we didn't discuss this.
Iris Insogna

2018 - 2023, Successful
Dr. Brady was a thorough clinician who was very pragmatic about expectations, risks, side effects, and outcomes. She shared data and insights every step of the way and supported us in making informed decisions. We received follow-up communications after every visit and she clearly outlined the next steps. She was also very considerate about my comfort throughout the process, always checking in to see how I was feeling and offering advice on ways to manage the process and minimize discomfort. We could not have asked for a better doctor!
The [Columbia University] clinic is really full-service. It has everything on site so no going to different floors or labs for various testing. I had to have an additional procedure not related to IVF during the process and it was so reassuring to be able to do it there with the team I knew. The clinic is also beautiful, spotless, and very covid conscious, which I appreciated...the entire nursing staff were wonderful. They were communicative, thoughtful and very helpful during this process. They always followed up after every appointment and sent clear emailed directions for all steps along the way. I was never confused about what to do and didn't need to track them down for anything.
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paula Brady at Columbia University?
She made what can be an incredibly difficult process as seamless as it could possibly be. She is very detailed and happy to answer any questions so come prepared with all of the things you want to ask because she will happily cover everything and it was very helpful to have a list ready each visit.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
Dr. Brady was warm, friendly, and very communicative throughout our entire process. I visited her for both egg freezing in 2018 and then for IVF in 2022. During both processes, I felt completely comfortable asking anything and she answered every question with the same compassion and consideration, no matter how silly it might have been.
Describe the protocols Paula Brady used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
I did an egg-freezing cycle and then ended up needing to use those eggs for IVF 4 years later. Dr. Brady gave provided us with clear information and medical recommendations based on my age, test results, insurance coverage and family goals. I ended up doing one egg retrieval cycle during the freezing process and was able to get 10 eggs. Four years later, my husband and I made embryos with those eggs for IVF. We genetically tested all viable embryos and ultimately ended up with 3 healthy embryos available for transfer. We did a single embryo transfer and are currently pregnant with our first child.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Angela Pugliese)
Angela, Diamond and the entire nursing staff were wonderful. They were communicative, thoughtful and very helpful during this process. They always followed up after every appointment and sent clear emailed directions for all steps along the way. I was never confused about what to do and didn't need to track them down for anything.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is really full-service. It has everything on site so no going to different floors or labs for various testing. I had to have an additional procedure not related to IVF during the process and it was so reassuring to be able to do it there with the team I knew. The clinic is also beautiful, spotless, and very covid conscious, which I appreciated.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paula Brady at Columbia University.
My egg freezing was not covered under my insurance so I paid out of pocket but my IVF was covered at about 90%. The egg freezing including medications, retrieval, storage, etc. was about $15,000. The IVF costs were about $4000 (including all medications, monitoring, and genetic testing.)
Describe Paula Brady's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Dr. Brady recommended a single embryo transfer based on my age (41) and other factors (including research data she shared and our specific circumstances) and we completely agreed with her recommendations.

2022, Successful
Columbia is in an excellent location in the city. The clinic was always incredibly clean, with friendly staff. Overall, things were run very efficiently. In the few months I was there, there was the odd day when appointments would be running behind, but generally the regular monitoring appointments were quick and speedy. One thing that really stood out to me was that every nurse there was excellent at administering blood tests – quick and almost completely painless every time.
How was your experience with Jenna Turocy at Columbia University?
Dr Turocy was kind, caring and informative throughout our treatment. She was always available to speak to us on video calls, and was very quick to respond to emails whenever we had questions. Dr Turocy's manner was always gentle and friendly, but we really appreciated that she was also very clear in all her communication, and laid things out in a very simple and factual way. She dealt with the ups and downs in our emotions throughout the process, including whenever we got stressed or anxious. We also live abroad, and despite the time difference and the added complications of our health system here, she went above and beyond to stay in touch with us and communicate with my doctors here. Although our first transfer didn't end up resulting in a health pregnancy, we still could not be happier that we chose Dr Turocy for this process, and have every faith in continuing to have her as our doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jenna Turocy at Columbia University?
Don't be afraid to reach out directly to Dr Turocy, as she will always get back to you over email and is always happy to answer questions. On the flip side, her team is fantastic, so if you're concerned about anything, you can always get in touch with Lauren and Sakari as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jenna Turocy at Columbia University?
We came to Columbia after a terrible previous experience at another fertility clinic in the city. The difference in care was immediate – we were introduced to the whole team, including nurse and medication coordinators, and finance, so from day one we knew who to contact if there were any problems. Dr Turocy was always available at short notice to get on a video call with us and answer any questions we had. Communication was excellent from everyone throughout the process. I also hugely appreciated the care from all the nurses and other members of staff who were there. After so many visits for bloodwork and scans, they made the effort to learn my name and what I looked like, so it always felt like a personal experience when I went in there.
Describe the protocols Jenna Turocy used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Dr Turocy worked with us around all our very specific requirements, including the need for us to freeze my husband's sperm, and our desire for genetic testing, as well as the complications around booking flights into New York. Nothing was too much trouble, and she was able to find solutions to every problem we had. She also didn't make us feel as though even trivial issues were a nuisance to her. At our previous clinic my first retrieval only resulted in 10 eggs and 1 healthy embryo, whereas my retrieval at Columbia resulted in 28 eggs and 8 healthy embryos. How closely I was monitored by Dr Turocy in terms of how long she kept me on the medication before retrieval clearly made a big difference to the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Sakari Joseph)
I predominantly spoke to Sakari for the duration of my treatment at Columbia. She was absolutely fantastic – always prompt to reply over email and provided very clear, detailed instructions at every step. She went above and beyond to organise additional visits for me with other nurses if she wasn't available herself.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jenna Turocy at Columbia University.
We were self-pay patients, and appreciated that Columbia offer a discounted bundle rate for self pay. This made a huge difference compared to our previous clinic, who charged for each monitoring appointment and blood test. Having all tests and appointments included in the bundle rate meant we didn't have to worry whenever extra tests were ordered.
Jenna Turocy

2020 - 2021, Successful
Investment Banker
[Dr. Forman] asked lots of questions about both my and my husband's medical history, and also made an effort to know more about us on a personal level...was very realistic with expectations and direct in the way he communicated with us, while also demonstrating empathy and compassion. His responsiveness to emails and phone calls, and the office's quick turnaround time in communicating results also helped take some of the stress and anxiety out of an already stressful process.
Christine and the other nurses at Columbia were wonderful. They are extremely communicative and always available to answer questions. All of the staff at the clinic from the phlebotomists to the ultrasound technicians were caring and kind. The morning monitoring process was extremely smooth and ran efficiently...Convenient location, bright, clean office...Some minor billing issues...
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
In our first appointment with Dr. Forman, he provided a thorough overview of Columbia's fertility clinic and the typical diagnostic tests a new couple undergoes before starting treatments. He also went through what the typical path would be to go down (although everyone will be different). Dr. Forman provided plenty of detail on the various procedures and types of medication and answered questions we had about outcome probability and risks of treatment. He asked lots of questions about both my and my husband's medical history, and also made an effort to know more about us on a personal level. After bloodwork and other diagnostic tests, it was decided the best course of action would be to start with IUIs. After the first one was successful, we decided to try another IUI given I had responded well to the medication. We were unsuccessful again on attempts 2 and 3 and decided to move onto IVF. We started IVF with about two weeks of medication and while my follicles were a little slow to start growing, there were plenty to proceed with the egg retrieval procedure. We were excited to have fertilized eggs a day after the procedure, unfortunately, none of the fertilized eggs made it viable embryos and our first cycle was over. This was upsetting and disappointing but Dr. Forman spent an hour on the phone with me after sharing the results walking through what could have caused that outcome and providing reassurance that he was confident that we could have success with another round. We agreed to take a month off and then try again. Dr. Forman tweaked our protocol slightly for round two and it seemed like my response to the medication was better this time around. After the egg retrieval, we had 8 fertilized eggs, 5 which made it to the Day 5 blastocyst stage and 4 which came back as good after being sent for genetic testing. Dr. Forman shared the news with us on Valentine's Day evening (which on top of being Valentine's Day was a also Sunday - he really does care about his patients!!) and we couldn't have been more grateful for such good news that day. We did a medicated transfer cycle a month later with our highest-quality embryo. While we did get pregnant based on the early bloodwork after the transfer, our levels were low and Dr. Forman was realistic about the chances of the pregnancy being viable. Ultimately we experienced a biochemical pregnancy which was devastating to us. Dr. Forman was understanding and compassionate while also giving us hope that we still have good embryos left and that there was a good chance the next try would work. For our next transfer, Dr. Forman suggested we try a natural cycle which involves no medication and closely monitoring my own cycle to time the transfer with ovulation. We used a trigger shot to ensure the timing of ovulation. This second cycle worked; early bloodwork looked promising and continued on the right trajectory and an ultrasound two weeks later confirmed the pregnancy and we saw the heartbeat. At 9 weeks we "graduated" from Dr. Forman's care and he helped us find an OBGYN to allow us to continue our care with Columbia.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Know you are in good hands and ask any and all questions you have - Dr. Forman will find time to get you the answers you need
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr. Forman was very realistic with expectations and direct in the way he communicated with us, while also demonstrating empathy and compassion. His responsiveness to emails and phone calls, and the office's quick turnaround time in communicating results also helped take some of the stress and anxiety out of an already stressful process.
Describe the protocols Eric Forman used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
IUIs: Clomid + Trigger Shot Retrieval Round 1: Started on birth control; Follistim + Low Dose HCG; Ganirelix; Lupron + HCG trigger Retrieval Round 2: Clomid; Follistim + Menopur; Ganirelix; Lupron + HGC trigger Medicated Transfer: Started on birth control; Estrogen + Progesterone injections Natural Transfer: Progesterone suppositories + trigger shot
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine (Nurse))
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths -Wonderful doctors and nurses who truly care and are accessible -Efficiently-run morning monitoring process -Convenient location, bright, clean office Weaknesses -Some minor billing issues
Describe Eric Forman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Dr. Forman is supportive of elective single embryo transfer
Columbia University

She [Dr. Karipcin] is very efficient and knows what she is doing...She understood my anxiety issues caused due to infertility and understood my physical pain caused by severe endometriosis...we knew she would never take any shorts or do conventional practice, her plan was tailor only for me...Dr K helped us find the right surgeon [for diagnostic laparoscopy] and worked very closely with our surgeon to maximize our chances of successful transfer....
[nurse at Columbia University] was very polite and thorough and explained all instructions very well. she never minded taking follow up questions from me and always returned my calls the same day...Zaria( care coordinator) was very efficient in making changes to accommodate me. She made sure everyone was in sync. I never had to send a single reminder to anyone in the staff.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
After 2 failed embryo transfer of chromosomally normal embryos and a panic attack we met with Dr K. During our 1st consult she was very patient, professional and proactive- she took notes of my medical history, went through all my scan and reports, asked us abt our fertility goal ( which I had completely given up on), and also gave us an egg retrieval protocol. She knew exactly what I needed for good results. she was very positive abt my case and had a plan- we decided to do 2 egg retrievals as I have DOR and want 2 kids and she strongly suggested me to take Lupron for 2 cycles- due to endometriosis and adenomyosis- clearly it was long journey but she was totally on our side and knew how to get us the results. very next cycle we started ER protocol and despite low follicular count and DOR got 3 embryos. we took a break of 2 cycles, while we were figuring out a possible Infectious disease issue. Then we did 2nd ER and again got 3 embryos. the very same cycle I took first lupron shot. by then my endo pain was getting worse so we decided to diagnostic laparoscopy. Again Dr K helped us find the right surgeon and worked very closely with our surgeon to maximize our chances of successful transfer. Dr K was always more positive abt our case then us. She is very efficient and knows what she is doing. Every second I was in her care I was her number one priority. She decided to do a Mock transfer due to the position of my uterus and made a decision to do my transfer under anesthesia, by this point we trusted Dr K blindly and did what she said- we knew she would never take any shorts or do conventional practice, her plan was tailor only for me. I was vey nervous for the transfer but when I saw Dr K I could relax and calm down my nerves went in the transfer room the whole experience was very positive and I we got pregnant the same cycle. I know only Dr K could have got me pregnant because she understood how my case was different and was willing to think out of box.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
plz trust her. she knows what she is doing. plz let her know your expectations and tell her how you feel abt your struggles. She will go out of her way to make your journey easy. Her positive vibes will make you believe in your dream to become a mother.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr K is like a very kind and understanding friend. She understood my anxiety issues caused due to infertility and understood my physical pain caused by severe endometriosis. she was well aware of my history and knew what hell of a journey I had been through. she always considered my comfort and pain levels before any treatment. I was truly taken care of under her practice. Dr K and Varda ( Nurse) would call me multiple times to make sure all my questions and concerns were addressed.
Describe the protocols Sinem Karipcin used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Dr K suggested Estrogen priming for my case she was right that cycle I did not get a lead follicle. For stimulation we used menopur and follistim. I think I took ovidrel for trigger shot. Although we got only 9 eggs( due to DOR) we got 3 embryos on day5. protocol was the same for both cycles and resulted in total 6 embryos. when I took lupron she strongly suggested me to take add back with it and that was blessing, without add back my lupron days were not livable. Infact with lupron + add back I was very energetic and productive. for transfer I took estrogen vaginally and progesteron in oil.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda )
Varda( nurse) was a blessing. I actually looked forward to her call after every monitoring appointment. she was very understanding and had an effect of a tranquillizer on my anxious infertility struck nerves. She was very polite and thorough and explained all instructions very well. she never minded taking follow up questions from me and always returned my calls the same day. I knew she genuinely cared for me and cheered me up whenever needed. Zaria( care coordinator) was very efficient in making changes to accommodate me. She made sure everyone was in sync. I never had to send a single reminder to anyone in the staff.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
strength- best staff. they know they have the best people. everyone is in business of providing care, best medical services and nothing else. very high ethical standards- I never experienced negligence or carelessness from anyone or any department. After every appointment I got a feedback notification from clinic admin. weakness- none
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University.
our first ER was covered by insurance 100%. 2nd ER was completely out of pocket- abt 10 k and transfer was covered by insurance.
Describe Sinem Karipcin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
she preferred single embryo transfer.
Columbia University

Because of my diminished ovarian reserve, we planned to do all three retrievals [with Dr. Karipcin] back to back for batching before moving on to a transfer...has a wonderful way of making you feel seen and known. She knows your case inside and out, and is able to talk about it on the fly during appointments and procedures. She is quite genuine and makes you feel like she cares about you and is rooting for your success.
We had a very positive experience with Columbia Fertility Center. Everyone from the front desk, to the phlebotomists, to the sonographers, to the nursing staff and care coordinators were attentive, efficient, and extremely friendly. We had dozens of appointments over the course of a year and rarely, if ever, had to wait (even in the midst of the covid pandemic). The space is bright, friendly, and soothing and extremely clean. The OR is the back of the office which makes it a one stop shop. It truly came to feel like a second home (for better or for worse). There is a 24-7 emergency help line that we made use of several times. It is probably important to know that you will not see your doctor during most of your monitoring appointments and they may not be on call when you have procedures (IUI/IVF). Our case was complicated in certain ways (e.g., I have a tilted cervix which made my IUIs and some additional tests hellish) and as such Dr. K made a special effort to be there for most of our big appointments.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
We have nothing but positive things to say about Dr. K. Not only is she an attentive and compassionate person but she is also extremely competent as a doctor. We never felt rushed during our appointments and she was responsive and thorough when we had questions. She knew our case inside and out. We ran into a variety of obstacles due to my diminished ovarian reserve and egg quality issues and she adjusted our protocol accordingly - at each stage we had better outcomes than the last. Throughout our travails, she was consistently positive/optimistic yet also realistic about the possible outcomes. If we decide to have more children in the future, we absolutely plan to continue on with Dr. K and in the interim we will highly recommend her to friends and family who encounter their own struggles with infertility.
Our advice is not anything specific about Dr. K - we would advise new patients that this process is very likely to take longer than you anticipate and to adjust your expectations accordingly.
Dr. Karipcin (aka Dr. K) has a wonderful way of making you feel seen and known. She knows your case inside and out, and is able to talk about it on the fly during appointments and procedures. She is quite genuine and makes you feel like she cares about you and is rooting for your success.
We tried for 6 months before seeking out a reproductive endocrinologist (by that point I was age 36). During that period, I had two miscarriages. I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve and Dr. K also suspected that I had some endometriosis. My husband had low sperm morphology (2%). Our sequence of treatments was in part based on our insurance coverage which required at least three rounds of IUI before moving on to IVF. As such, we did three IUI cycles – the first one natural (no additional drugs) and the second two medicated – one with clomid and one with letrazole. We had a chemical pregnancy with the first and the second two were unsuccessful. From there we moved on to IVF. Thankfully, our insurance covers three retrievals/transfers (what luck/privilege as we could not go forward otherwise). Because of my diminished ovarian reserve, we planned to do all three retrievals back to back for batching before moving on to a transfer. 1) First Cycle: Meds: 225 gonal; 225 menopur; cetrotide starting day 9 of treatment. Unfortunately, I was unresponsive. I only produced 2 follicles and Dr. K switched us to IUI instead of a retrieval. The IUI was unsuccessful. 2) Second Cycle: Meds: 150 gonal days 1-8 --> 225 gonal starting day 9; 150 menopur; clomid days 1-5; cetrotide starting day 7 of treatment. This cycle I produced more eggs and went forward with the retrieval. 8 were retrieved, 7 mature. Unfortunately, most of the eggs had empty zona pellucida (which is the outside shell). As such, only 1-2 were able to be fertilized with ICSI. None made it past day 3. 3) Third Cycle: Meds: 150 gonal days 1-5 --> 225 gonal days 6-8 --> 300 gonal days 9-11; 150 menopur; letrazole days 1-5; cetrotide starting day 9. This cycle 10 were retrieved, 7 were mature, and 5 were fertilized with ICSI. Of those, 2 became day 5 blastocysts and 3 became day 7 blastocysts. We sent them out for genetic testing and the first two tested normal. We planned to take a month off before our final retrieval and somehow, by some miracle, I got pregnant naturally and am just starting my second trimester (fingers crossed). We have one more retrieval covered by our insurance and tentatively plan to go forward in the future (with Dr. K). In the meantime, our two “good” blastocysts are on ice for the future.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda Souverain)
Varda trained me on the injections and communicated with us about our medication protocol throughout our IUI and IVF cycles. She was always available through email/the phone and was quite responsive to our questions/needs.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
We had incredible insurance coverage (IUIs and IVF meds were fully covered, IVF was covered at 75%). We are waiting on bills for our second IVF retrieval but I believe that we ended up paying $1,300 out of pocket for our first retrieval as well as a handful of $20 copays here and there. I believe we will be paying approximately $100/month for frozen embryo storage.
We have yet to get to the transfer phase with Dr. K.
Columbia University

[Dr. Sinem Karipcin] was personable, optimistic and realistic at the same time. I wrote that she treated me like a human because she always remember my name, my husband's name and even the purse I brought to each appointment...I felt like I was in excellent hands because she would tell me all of the statistics and even mentioned how some of the statistics were slightly different for African-American women (I'm African-American). At each appointment, Dr. Karipcin would explain next steps, remind me to stay optimistic. She didn't shy away from explaining potential complications that might arise due to my endometriosis and fibroids, but she would always remind me to focus on the positive and that we would deal with any complications as they might arise.
Columbia University Fertility is clean, the staff is professional and they are very good at providing information upfront. Once you decide to work with them, you are matched with a Care team, given their contact information and clear understand of the procedures and protocols. The New York, NY location is also very accessible by public transportation, which was important to me. The biggest bonus is that Columbia Fertility offers a monthly support group for women undergoing fertility treatments (it was also open to non-Columbia patients), which I found helpful.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. K always welcomed me with a warm smile. She has a very strong bedside manner. In fact, I noticed that she greets everyone in the clinic by name when she comes in each morning. I felt like I was in excellent hands because she would tell me all of the statistics and even mentioned how some of the statistics were slightly different for African-American women (I'm African-American). At each appointment, Dr. Karipcin would explain next steps, remind me to stay optimistic. She didn't shy away from explaining potential complications that might arise due to my endometriosis and fibroids, but she would always remind me to focus on the positive and that we would deal with any complications as they might arise.
Be sure to share all of your concerns. Dr. Karipcin will address each and every one of them. At one of our first appointments, I came in with a list of questions and concerns. She didn't let me leave until I'd written down notes/answers to each one of them. At one particular appointment, I cried while waiting to get my blood drawn. Dr. Karipcin and Nurse Varda set with me to alleviate my fears while in between patients.
Dr. K was personable, optimistic and realistic at the same time. I wrote that she treated me like a human because she always remember my name, my husband's name and even the purse I brought to each appointment. When scheduling me for morning monitoring, Dr. K and her team (Nurse Varda and Zaria) were always mindful to get me in as early as possible because I'm a teacher.
We did two round of IVF. Our regime consisted of was Gonal F, Menopur and then Centrotide. The trigger injection was Ovidrel and Lupron. Our first retrieval yielded about 8 eggs. The second retrieval yielded 15 eggs. Our IVF rounds were relatively close together (Oct/Nov 2019 & Dec 2019), the insurance company approved it and we wanted to complete them before Christmas. We did the recommended genetic testings for the embryos. So, now we have a total of 6 chromosomally strong embryos that can be transferred. Our original transfer date was postponed due to Covid. So, we did a transfer in May 2020. I am currently 16 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Varda)
Nurse Varda and Care Coordinator Zaria were extremely helpful to me. Varda was patient and answered every question in the emails I sent her. I would send emails with like 8 items and she would be sure to answer each question/concern. Zaria was thoughtful enough to call me for scheduling during my teacher breaks or lunchtime, because she knew those were the only times I was free to talk. The nursing staff, including ultrasound technician Rachel, Denaisha and Tanisha who took my blood during morning monitoring were also very welcoming, comforting, professional and funny. There was one appointment (in which we noticed that one of my fibroids was slightly bigger and this absolutely crushed me) and they reminded me to be positive, to pray and then got me focused on sports or some other topic so that I would stop crying, before heading to work. I was very thankful for them and their conversation.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Columbia University.
The morning monitoring hours worked well with my teaching schedule. It was very organized as well.
The majority of our treatment was covered by insurance. In fact, we didn't proceed until we knew it would be covered as "in-network." I usually only had to pay the co-payment. The cost of the IVF medications were not fully covered by insurance but they are now covered in New York State.
Columbia University Fertility does not do multiple embryo transfers. This is very clearly explained in the paperwork that you have to sign prior to embarking on the IVF journey. They are also clear to reiterate this around the retrieval dates. I agreed with Dr. K's approach. Due to my age at the time (36), fibroids and endometriosis, multiple embryo transfers were not recommended. Neither my OB/GYN, Fibroid surgeon, nor Dr. Karipcin recommended multiple embryo transfers.
Columbia University

Dr. Rudick was very patient with me, and was always available by email or by appointment to go through all of my questions. She made me feel like I had full control over the process, and that it was up to me to decide how aggressive I wanted to be, and the pace at which I wanted to proceed...She is also very straight forward and matter-of fact with results and reasons for those results, and she doesn't sugar-coat, which I appreciated and which added to my trust of her. When I received bad news after a few cycles back to back, Dr. Rudick sent me a very nice email and I felt that we were in this together, working toward a common goal. Al
The clinic [Columbia University] has a very calming atmosphere, and is very clean. There are plenty of seats for waiting patients, and several bathrooms. There was always water available and fresh fruit. The reception staff was very pleasant each time I arrived and check in was quick. The process during morning monitoring was consistent, and I hardly ever had to wait more than 5-10 minutes after my scheduled appointment time to be seen.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick is very professional and knowledgeable. She never pushed me to do something I was not ready to do, and let me set the pace of my treatments. When I decided to take a short break between cycles, she was very understanding. She is also very straight forward and matter-of fact with results and reasons for those results, and she doesn't sugar-coat, which I appreciated and which added to my trust of her. When I received bad news after a few cycles back to back, Dr. Rudick sent me a very nice email and I felt that we were in this together, working toward a common goal. Although Dr. Rudick was not always available at every visit, all of the doctors and nurses at Columbia were pleasant to work with. Before and during each procedure, Dr. Rudick would explain each step in detail, which helped ease my anxiety. I felt very cared for by her and the team at Columbia.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
I would tell her that she is in good hands, to trust the process, and to ask a lot of questions to ease anxiety and understand all of the details and risks. At points, it can seem like there are no answers and it is all trial-and-error, but with each cycle, more information is gathered that will lead you toward the right treatment for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
I was treated like a human, Dr. Rudick was very patient with me, and was always available by email or by appointment to go through all of my questions. She made me feel like I had full control over the process, and that it was up to me to decide how aggressive I wanted to be, and the pace at which I wanted to proceed.
Describe the protocols Briana Rudick used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
After several tests, we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility, which can be very frustrating. We decided to try IUI first. The first cycle of IUI was with Clomid, which was not successful. The Dr. switched me to Letrozole for the next three IUI cycles. I felt a lot better on Letrozole (much less bloated). Unfortunately, these cycles all resulted in biochemical pregnancies. We met with Dr. Rudick to discuss next steps, and she recommended IVF with genetic testing as she suspected a chromosomal issue in the embryo was the cause of the biochemicals. We proceeded with this recommendation, which produced two normal embryos. We transferred one of the embryos and this resulted in a positive pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Julissa Mota)
Julissa and the nursing staff were very organized and pleasant to work with. Julissa always called me and/or emailed me with results around the same time of day, the day after testing. This was very consistent and eased my mind, because I knew when to expect to hear from her. I felt that I could reach out to her if I had any questions about medications, treatments, etc. When I started my first IVF cycle, Julissa met with me and showed me how to mix and administer each medication, and gave me tips on how to organize the meds and make it easy. She also sent me links to instructional videos online. The information was very helpful and eased my anxiety. I also got to know the phlebotomists; they were always nice and would greet me and say hello when they saw me. I felt like everyone was rooting for me.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic has a very calming atmosphere, and is very clean. There are plenty of seats for waiting patients, and several bathrooms. There was always water available and fresh fruit. The reception staff was very pleasant each time I arrived and check in was quick. The process during morning monitoring was consistent, and I hardly ever had to wait more than 5-10 minutes after my scheduled appointment time to be seen.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Briana Rudick at Columbia University.
Fortunately, I had fertility coverage under my health insurance. I did have to pay some costs out of pocket up to the deductible. I also had to pay for the embryo freezing and the Genetic Testing separately, these were not covered by insurance. All in, I feel that I paid close to $8,000 out of pocket in total.
Describe Briana Rudick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Dr. Rudick recommended transferring one embryo at a time, to avoid a multiple pregnancy. We agreed on this course of action.
Briana Rudick
Columbia University
I had Katrina and Tiffany as nurses. They did their jobs well. Even the nurses who draw blood exhibited a great standard of care. Peri, the Egg Donor Program Coordinator, is especially great. She was incredibly helpful and reliable.... I can't recommend this clinic (Columbia) enough. The only things that I would hope for other to avoid are things that they can't necessarily control. 1) Make sure your procedures are pre-authorized well in advance. Speak with your insurance yourself and know for sure that pre-autho went through.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr. Forman listened to my concerns and is very good with first time IVF patients. Nothing was too small for his attention and he’s always doing his best for you. He consistently went above and beyond for me the entire time I was in his care. A perfect example of this was when I had expressed how much I wanted him to perform the actual IVF procedure rather than another doctor from the clinic. The day of the procedure, it wasn’t guaranteed that he could make it but he rushed to the clinic and made it happen. I actually teared up when I saw him. These things mean the world to women who have no control over their bad fortune. He and his team understood that these things mattered and what a difference it makes when your concerns are taken seriously. Even the front desk and nurses who draw blood exhibited the same standard of care. Peri, the Egg Donor Program Coordinator, is especially great. She was incredibly helpful and reliable. I can’t recommend Columbia University Fertility Center enough.
I do not have a uterus but still have my ovaries. IVF, creating and freezing embryos and using a gestational carrier was the only strategy. It was all pretty straight forward for everyone. I declined using birth control because I had LH test strips to tell me approximately when my first day of cycle would be. He then monitored my blood work until we knew when to start everything. My injectables were Menopur, Gonal F & Cetrotide.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina)
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I can't recommend this clinic enough. The only things that I would hope for other to avoid are things that they can't necessarily control. 1) Make sure your procedures are pre-authorized well in advance. Speak with your insurance yourself and know for sure that pre-autho went through. 2) One of the third party companies that they work with, Igenomix that is used for PGS testing, relies on your IVF doctor to explain things that I believe should be their responsibility. The only thing that the clinic can do to help avoid a lot of frustration when it comes to finding out your results from Igenomix is to explain to their patients that 1) Currently, NY state law does not does not allow companies like Igenomix to disclose mosaic results 2) Explain that mosaic results from Igenomix are handled differently and how. 3) Interpret the results from Igenomix completely for the patient before they try to do it for themselves with an Igenomix rep. Again, all things that I believe Igonmix should explain before someone uses their services considering it has to do with their results and the service that your paying them to do, not the clinic. Igenomix should be saying, “You should know that that NY State law prevents us from disclosing information about mosaics…”, “this is how we outline our results. we conclude mosaic embryos are also abnormal embryos so you wouldn’t use them anyway… (paraphrasing that last part… that’s not exactly right)..”, “This is how you interpret our results, here is an example”.

Donor Sperm With Other Docs
Dr. Robles is really knowledgeable, organized, and proactive. He was really helpful and explained all my treatments really clearly. He also made a point of calling me and speaking to me personally when there was important new to share. He is super knowledgeable and shares information without judgement. He demystified a very complex process, and let me take things one step at a time...I always felt really well cared for.
The [Columbia University] clinic is nice, clean, and very organized. They offer help with insurance and medications, which is very appreciated. The Columbus Circle location is convenient to the trains, and nicely laid out. It's very busy, of course, but the waiting room always felt inviting and calm...All my nurses were amazing, super kind, and very efficient...Dr. Robles was so warm and kind, and always had lots of time to spend with me to answer my questions. I always felt really well cared for.
How was your experience with Alex Robles at Columbia University?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alex Robles at Columbia University?
Take IVF and the FET one step at a time, don't spend energy and emotional bandwidth trying to anticipate all the possible outcomes that you might not be able to control. Be in the moment, listen to your body, and practice positive self-talk.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alex Robles at Columbia University?
Describe the protocols Alex Robles used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
We went straight to IVF because of my age, and we used a pretty straightforward diagnostic process and egg retrieval process, which culminated in a very successful egg retrieval after about 10 days of stims. Dr. Lobo did my egg retrieval and we got 42 eggs, of which 30 were mature. We then waited a couple cycles for the PGTA testing to come back and for my body to recover from the stimulation of the egg retrieval process, so I felt much healthier and ready for the embryo transfer. The PGTA testing gave us 4 healthy embryos to work with, and though it was expensive to test 15 blastocysts, I'm glad we did! We did a "natural cycle" for the frozen embryo transfer with just progesterone supplementation, which helps with my short luteal phase. The transfer was successful, and we have monitored the pregnancy for 8.5 weeks with no issues.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Haley Roche)
All my nurses were amazing, super kind, and very efficient.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is nice, clean, and very organized. They offer help with insurance and medications, which is very appreciated. The Columbus Circle location is convenient to the trains, and nicely laid out. It's very busy, of course, but the waiting room always felt inviting and calm.
Because we could self-schedule through the portal, it was easy to organize my appointments (though sometimes earlier times would not be available if I has to schedule an appointment with 24-48 hours notice). Even weekend hours were convenient to schedule, which is so nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alex Robles at Columbia University.
I had to pay out of pocket because I have insurance through the exchange, which means I do not have access to IVF benefits. The cost was extremely expensive, all told I have spent more than $40,000 this year on IUIs with a midwife, donor sperm, and the IVF.FET process, of which over $30,000 was with Columbia.
Describe Alex Robles's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
I only wanted to transfer one embryo at a time, and Dr. Robles was completely supportive of that choice.

2023, Successful
Dr. Robles was patient, detail oriented, and incredibly empathetic. I felt supported, listened to, and understood the whole way. I was at increased risk of hyper stimulation and Dr. Robles helped walk me through each care decision he...made to derisk any unpleasant symptoms...checked in frequently, including over his weekends and outside of typical office hours to see how I was feeling. Even post-retrieval, he sent helpful emails and resources about follow-up questions on my mind. 10/10 medical experience and would highly recommend anyone uncertain about their fertility journey to pay him a visit.
Columbia nursing staff was excellent including over email, via daily monitoring, and the phlebotomy team. I heard back promptly on any questions, had multiple methods to contact them (phone, email, etc.)...Top medical experience I have ever had. AM monitoring can be a bit busy/fast but I appreciated the speed and efficiency. 10/10 experience - highly professional, compassionate care the whole way. New patients should know that the Dr. may not be present at every single morning monitoring (although I did not ask them to be) but I felt in great hands with the nursing staff and the Dr. was always available when I asked or if I booked an AM monitoring appointment late enough that their day had started.
How was your experience with Alex Robles at Columbia University?
I would recommend Dr. Robles and the entire team at Columbia without hesitation. Dr. Robles was patient, detail oriented, and incredibly empathetic. I felt supported, listened to, and understood the whole way. I was at increased risk of hyper stimulation and Dr. Robles helped walk me through each care decision he and his team made to derisk any unpleasant symptoms. In addition, Dr. Robles checked in frequently, including over his weekends and outside of typical office hours to see how I was feeling. Even post-retrieval, he sent helpful emails and resources about follow-up questions on my mind. 10/10 medical experience and would highly recommend anyone uncertain about their fertility journey to pay him a visit.
Dr. Robles was incredible - he remembered small details about my life/career plans not specifically related to treatment and you could tell he was always listening. He called multiple times outside of typical office hours to see how I was doing, emailed promptly, and called me on a weekend evening before my retrieval to check-in. Truly the most kind and attentive healthcare experience I have ever had.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Columbia University.
Columbia nursing staff was excellent including over email, via daily monitoring, and the phlebotomy team. I heard back promptly on any questions, had multiple methods to contact them (phone, email, etc.), and felt true continuity of care even if I did not see same nurse for every AM monitoring. AM monitoring was very efficient and when possible the Dr. would stop-in to visit and answer questions, especially at key visits.

2021 - 2023, Successful
The [Columbia University] clinic is very efficient - most of the times I was in and out of the clinic in 15 mins during morning monitoring appointments. It is busy, but over time, the staff gets to know you and I always felt welcomed and seen...Angela was the most caring nurse I could have asked for! She was so patient with all my questions and always knew how to calm my nerves. I truly felt like she was holding my hand throughout the process and making sure all my concerns were addressed! Just like Dr. Brady, I truly felt like she was rooting for me every step of the way!
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
Dr. Brady is a very compassionate doctor. I came to her without having any understanding of how fertility treatments work. As an aspiring single mother by choice, she really made me feel supported and I never felt awkward for not having a partner in the process. At each stage of the treatment, she would explain what to expect and what my options were and what she recommends and why. I quickly realized how lucky I was to have found her and how much I came to trust her advice. I had success with both my retrievals. Just before the transfer, we found a fibroid in the uterus during the saline ultrasound and Dr. Brady referred me to another doctor so I could have a surgery to take care of it quickly without impacting the transfer timeline by a lot. She truly guided me at every step and I fully attribute the success of my treatment to her! I truly felt that she and the rest of the team had my back and were always rooting for me!
You may not see her as often as you’d like during the treatment, but rest assured she is always reviewing your results and checking in with you - she truly wants what’s best for you - trust her advice!
Dr. Brady always answered all my questions patiently and never made me feel stupid or rushed me - I may have even asked the same questions multiple times and she would still answer them very patiently.
For both my retrievals, I was on Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide, and Lupron trigger shot. For the transfer, I was on a fully medicated cycle with estrogen and progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Angela)
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is very efficient - most of the times I was in and out of the clinic in 15 mins during morning monitoring appointments. It is busy, but over time, the staff gets to know you and I always felt welcomed and seen.
I had to pay for the IVF freeze all cycle and the transfer cycle out of pocket. The freeze all cycle was ~$14K and the transfer cycle was $4,500. Genetic testing of embryos was $300 per embryo and this amount was paid directly to the lab.
I wanted a single embryo transfer and that is what Dr. Brady recommended too!

2023, Successful
Dr. Wiltshire’s experience & knowledge combined with her bedside manner makes her the ideal professional to navigate a mentally and physically daunting journey...extremely knowledgeable and reached out via phone and email to clearly communicate the meaning of results, nexts steps and the resources available throughout the process...Dr. Wiltshire’s attention to my case and quality of care did not waiver
The experience was top tier and I would recommend CU’s medical care to anyone. Personally, a key reassuring component of my care was knowing that I had a network of doctors with various specialties available as needed. Being bounced around to navigating different offices and insurance protocols is one of the most stressful things about seeking healthcare— CU’s system provided a seamless patient experience that gave me the space to focus on my health.
How was your experience with Ashley Wiltshire at Columbia University?
Words cannot express how grateful & I am to have had Dr. Wiltshire as my doctor, but I will surely try! I emphatically recommend selecting Dr. Wiltshire for your fertility journey. I began my journey nervous, overwhelmed and with many questions. Yet, all nervousness dissipated in lieu of the extremely knowledgeable, empathetic and professional bedside manner of Dr. Wiltshire. During our initial consultation, she took my personal history with care, answered every question I had -no matter how small, and laid out a clear plan of care. During the hormone cycle, the nursing/ medication staff becomes your main contact, but Dr. Wiltshire’s attention to my case and quality of care did not waiver. When I had questions about my treatment, symptoms etc. via email or voice message, Dr. Wiltshire swiftly responded, with an attention to detail I’ve never experienced under any doctor’s care. Dr. Wiltshire and the supporting staff acted so synchronously that I was never concerned about falling through the cracks. Day of my egg retrieval, Dr. Wiltshire was literally the last confident & reassuring voice I heard (responding to my last nervous procedural question) before the anesthesia kicked in, and the first staff person I remember speaking to in post-op recovery.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ashley Wiltshire at Columbia University?
Breathe easy, because you are in good hands! Additionally, do not feel nervous to ask questions. Dr. Wiltshire’s experience & knowledge combined with her bedside manner makes her the ideal professional to navigate a mentally and physically daunting journey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ashley Wiltshire at Columbia University?
I was treated with care and compassion throughout the process. Dr. Wiltshire was extremely knowledgeable and reached out via phone and email to clearly communicate the meaning of results, nexts steps and the resources available throughout the process.
Describe the protocols Ashley Wiltshire used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
We initially requested a consultation via email/ the CU website and the initial consultation was promptly scheduled by her team. During our initial consultation via video chat, Dr. Wiltshire took a thorough personal and family medical history. We also discussed what the motivations and desired outcomes were for our fertility treatment. Lastly, Dr. Wiltshire walked us through the next steps and answered any additional questions we had. Our next steps included blood panels to tests, currently fertility, health status, and any pre-existing genetic conditions. After the needed tests were complete & explained, we began the fertility medications. The medication treatment plan and administration was explained in great detail and had videos to provide step by step instructions. The staff checked in with me regularly and often and Dr. Wiltshire swiftly returned insight to any questions I had. As retrieval day got closer, check-ins and blood work became near daily and the team was amazing the whole time. In the days leading up to extraction, pre & post-care operation was clearly walked through. Lastly, Dr. Wiltshire provided day by day updates and the final results of our egg retrieval cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: First Daniella, then Martha )
The team was personable, courteous, proactive and extremely professional. Navigating fertility treatment can be mentally daunting, but knowing that you have The Avengers League of healthcare professionals at your side puts all fears to rest.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ashley Wiltshire at Columbia University.
I don't ,in full ,remember the total costs, but have a ball park of $12-25k all in. I am unsure since the billing department did an amazing job of checking/ running everything through insurance. From the costs that were paid out of pocket, since we do have a robust healthcare plan, we spent an estimate of $4-8k.
Describe Ashley Wiltshire's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.

1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
The entire [Columbia University] care team (coordinators and nurses) was exceptionally organized and consistently prompt in addressing my inquiries. They assisted me in scheduling appointments and guided me through the entire process, making sure I understood each step along the way... A key pillar of the clinic's strengths is its exceptional physician, Dr. Alex Robles, who harmoniously blends expertise with compassion. With a focus on personalized care
How was your experience with Alex Robles at Columbia University?
During the ups and downs of the fertility treatments, Dr. Robles was a constant source of support. He would be present at every single appointment, offering guidance and encouragement, which made even the most challenging days feel more manageable. I can vividly recall walking into his office feeling anxious and leaving with newfound hope and a smile, knowing that I was in the hands of someone who genuinely cared. As mentioned before there was one particular moment that will forever stay with me. On the day of my scheduled egg retrieval, I received news that Dr. Robles wouldn't be available due to prior commitments. My heart sank at the thought of having someone else perform the procedure. I shared my concerns with Dr. Robles, and he listened with utmost compassion. To my amazement, on the day of the procedure, which happened to be a weekend, Dr. Robles came in specifically to perform my egg retrieval. The relief and gratitude I felt were overwhelming. It was a clear testament to his dedication and unwavering commitment to his patients' care. Dr. Robles prioritized understanding my medical history and tailored a protocol specifically suited for me. When I sent him my fertility medical records from another clinic, it was a significant amount of information, albeit disorganized and challenging to follow. Nonetheless, Dr. Robles dedicated time to thoroughly study and comprehend every record and data point from my fertility journey. Despite the potentially tedious nature of regular check-ins, I found myself eagerly looking forward to each appointment under Dr. Robles' care. As time progressed, my trust and confidence in him only deepened. Dr. Robles demonstrated unparalleled attention to detail, recollecting every aspect of my case and monitoring my progress closely. I always had numerous questions and a strong desire to know the results of my bloodwork at each appointment. Dr. Robles ensured that I received those numbers after every visit, providing a written summary of the session and clear instructions for the following days. He remained flexible, making adjustments to the treatment plan based on my body's responses. One aspect that truly stood out was Dr. Robles' accessibility and responsiveness. He was always available and promptly replied to my emails. If I needed to talk to him, he would call me back the same day. This constant availability made me feel genuinely cared for and instilled confidence in the quality of care I was receiving. Moreover, Dr. Robles displayed an extraordinary ability to remember even the minutest details about my case, following up on them during subsequent visits. This level of attentiveness made me feel valued as a patient, reinforcing the trust I had in his expertise.
Ensure complete openness about your medical history, concerns, expectations, and ultimate objectives. This level of transparency will enable Dr. Robles to customize your treatment plan for optimal results. It also facilitates the management of expectations, which I find to be quite reassuring. I highly encourage you to be as forthcoming as possible since Dr. Robles possesses an extraordinary ability to uncover solutions and make the most out of any situation. Rest assured, you won't be disappointed; it's akin to having both a trusted therapist and Reproductive Endocrinologist rolled into one.
My experience with Dr. Alex Robles has been nothing short of spectacular. From our first consultation, I just knew I was in great hands. Dr. Robles’ in-depth knowledge was immediately apparent. With a sterling clarity of thought, he transformed medical terminologies into simple, comprehendible information. His empathetic and knowledgeable approach not only alleviated my anxiety but also filled me with hope for the future. Words cannot do justice to his level of care and expertise, and I can't imagine going through the experience with another doctor. The pronounced improvement in the number of eggs retrieved and eggs matured during my initial egg retrieval at another highly regarded fertility center was truly astounding. This only further underscored the efficacy of Dr. Robles' individualized approach and protocol, attesting to the fact that it genuinely works for each patient Dr. Robles personally made sure I felt taken care of every step of the way. During our first consultation, I told him about my experience with my first fertility Doctor and my concerns about her lack of involvement during the whole process. Every appointment was delegated to a different nurse I never saw a doctor until the day of my retrieval and it wasn't performed by my doctor. I felt like a nuance through the process. From the very beginning, Dr. Alex Robles was there for every single appointment, from bloodwork to ultrasound, never relegating me to the care of someone less familiar with my case. He was always fully present, listening attentively to my concerns, and answering my questions with patience and thoroughness. There was a level of personal care and attention to detail that was so consistent, it was almost like he was entirely dedicated to my case alone. Moreover, his ability to recall specifics about my medical history without even a glance at his notes was astonishing. It created a sense of continuity and personal connection that was deeply reassuring. It was as though every nuance of my case was always at the forefront of his mind. He didn't just listen; he engaged, understanding my medical history and current concerns with the thoroughness that is a rare find in today's fast-paced medical environment. What I also greatly appreciated was Dr. Robles respect for my input. He valued my thoughts and perspective, making me feel like an active participant in my healthcare, rather than just a passive recipient of it. His approach was highly patient-centric. What struck me most about Dr. Robles was his genuine interest in my well-being and his unwavering commitment to achieving excellent results. Throughout the entire process, I had the privilege of seeing Dr. Robles during every single one of my appointments. On challenging days, he was there to guide me, offering support and reassurance. After each visit, I always felt better, leaving with renewed hope and a smile. However, during the last consultation before my scheduled egg retrieval, I received unexpected news that another doctor would be performing the procedure as Dr. Robles was not available that weekend. I couldn't help but feel a sense of sadness, as I had grown so comfortable and confident with Dr. Robles by my side. Remarkably, on the day of the procedure, which was a Sunday, Dr. Robles surprised me by coming in solely to perform my egg retrieval. The relief and happiness I felt were beyond words. This act of kindness and dedication demonstrated just how much Dr. Robles truly cares about his patients and how he goes above and beyond to ensure their well-being and comfort. I am forever grateful for Dr. Robles' exceptional care and commitment to my journey toward parenthood. He is more than just a remarkable physician; he is a compassionate and extraordinary human being.
The entire care team (coordinators and nurses) was exceptionally organized and consistently prompt in addressing my inquiries. They assisted me in scheduling appointments and guided me through the entire process, making sure I understood each step along the way. Their support was invaluable, and they exhibited remarkable patience and understanding throughout my journey. I am truly grateful for their dedication and assistance, which played a significant role in making my experience as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths: A key pillar of the clinic's strengths is its exceptional physician, Dr. Alex Robles, who harmoniously blends expertise with compassion. With a focus on personalized care, Dr. Robles tailors treatment protocols to suit each patient's specific needs, ensuring a supportive and effective fertility journey. Patients can rest assured that they are in the hands of a caring and dedicated specialist with a track record of achieving remarkable results. Organized Care Team: The clinic's care team is highly organized, promptly responding to patient inquiries and providing support throughout the entire process. Their efficiency and responsiveness contribute to a seamless patient experience. Comprehensive Support: From scheduling appointments to explaining treatment processes, the care team is dedicated to guiding patients and ensuring they have a clear understanding of each step. They exhibit patience and empathy, creating a nurturing environment for patients. New patient: As a new patient, it's important to understand that embarking on this fertility journey requires a significant time commitment. To ensure the best possible results, close monitoring of your hormone levels and regular ultrasounds are essential components of the process. These monitoring procedures play a crucial role in tracking the development of your fertility treatment. You will need to visit the clinic several times a week, and as you approach the end of your cycle, the visits will be required daily.

2023, 2 Eggs Frozen
2 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Columbia Fertility is extremely well organized from their website and ability to see available doctors and services, to patient care with clear throughout instructions throughout your treatment. They have coordinators for different areas, and each provides you with a wealth of information and are prompt to respond to inquiries about medication, insurance, cost, etc...I can't recommend Dr. Wiltshire enough as a physician who is both intelligent and has a great caring bedside manner.
How was your experience with Ashley Wiltshire at Columbia University?
I'm so thankful I had Dr. Wiltshire as my physician. She is smart and knowledgeable, answer all my questions, and most importantly she talked me through all my options at each step of the process and supported my decisions around treatment. I did two cycles of egg freezing due to cancer. The first cycle was unsuccessful, and I was somewhat unsure about trying a second time. Dr. Wiltshire met with me twice before I made a final decision. I never felt pressure from her either way, she was completely supportive of whatever decision I choose to make. Ultimately, I decided to do a second cycle, and Dr. Wiltshire carefully walked me through the adjustments in protocol and answered all my questions. I made it to the egg revival stage the second time and felt so safe in Dr. Wiltshire's hands. Sometimes it's hard to find a doctor attentive to the patient experience, even when you are dealing with cancer and fertility, but Dr. Wiltshire is the rare combination of excellent physician and bedside manner.
With Dr. Wiltshire you are safe to ask the questions you may be hesitating about. The things that worry you and you are not sure about. You will be heard and respected!
I was impressed how Dr. Wiltshire treated me with the utmost respect throughout my treatment. From beginning to end she answered all my questions and never rushed me. Dr. Wiltshire explained the complexities of my situation and was willing to do research to thoroughly answer my questions and formulate a plan that would give me a fighting chance. She check-in via email, phone, and zoom, before and during treatment to see how I was doing and talk through how to proceed. I can't recommend Dr. Wiltshire enough as a physician who is both intelligent and has a great caring bedside manner.
The first cycle was ten days of injections. I started with six follicles, three of which grew, but by the end of the cycle only one for possible retrieval so the cycle was ended with retrieval. The second cycle consisted of nine days of injections, this time I was able to proceed to retrieval and had two eggs retrieved and frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Kathryn Klinger)
Kate was great. She provided me with an email with an overview of how treatment schedule could go. Links to videos to prepare for injections and an FAQ from the center. She also did a practice injection session over zoom so I could be comfortable with giving myself injections. Kate responded promptly to my questions. She gave me clear instructions throughout and after egg retrieval for medication and restrictions.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Most of my care was covered by insurance, but co-pays for visits including morning monitoring, blood work, ultrasounds, and medication was between $1000 - $1200

2022 - 2023, Successful
Dr Forman made me feel like I was his only patient (even though I know I was one of many.) He answered every single one of my questions and never made me feel silly for asking any questions no matter how minor or silly I knew they were. Whenever I had concerns about anything he would respond quicker than I could have ever asked for. He truly has the best bedside manner of any doctor I have ever seen and when having to go through IVF and all the unknowns that come with it; having a doctor you can talk to is so important. Never once did I feel like a number with Dr Forman
Columbia overall is fantastic. I never had to wait for anything or be put on hold like so many other doctors offices do to you. Everything runs so well and they make sure that everything that’ is needed gets done for you. The morning monitoring appointments you’re literally in and out in less than 20 mins. All the doctors seem great and Dr Forman tried to make all my appointments himself...Christine was the primary nurse I interacted with and she was amazing. Always answered all questions no matter how silly they were and made me feel like I was a friend instead of a patient.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr Forman is the best doctor I’ve ever had. Before starting IVF I researched many doctors with Dr Forman being my #1 and hoping he would take my insurance. After having my first consultation with Dr Forman, I realized I 100% made the right decision. He never wasted my time & had me on a schedule of all the necessary tests needed to complete an egg retrieval as soon as I could. He spent time answering all my and my husbands and questions and anything I felt I forgot to answer at the time he would email me back right away with an answer. He gave realistic expectations while still keeping me optimistic throughout and he was always right.
Put your trust in Dr Forman and the process because he will never steer you wrong. I am a huge internet researcher and I learned that that will only drive me crazy. Dr Forman is truly an amazing doctor and you’ll be in the best hands.
I used Gonal F, Menopour and centroide. My trigger was HCG 5000 IU and Leuprolide Acetate. I did this for two cycles yielding 16 eggs and then 17 eggs at my egg retrievals.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine )
Christine was the primary nurse I interacted with and she was amazing. Always answered all questions no matter how silly they were and made me feel like I was a friend instead of a patient. I had a few freak outs over medications that I emailed her “in the moment” and she as always there to calm me down and help me navigate to fix them.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Forman at Columbia University.
Mostly covered by insurance besides the genetic testing of embryos
I transferred one single embryo and that’s what I had wanted to begin with.

2022 - 2023, Successful
Dr. Eric Forman's expertise in the field of in fertility care is truly unmatched. His extensive knowledge and experience are evident in every aspect of their practice...His ability to communicate complex medical information in a clear and understandable manner was truly commendable. I knew I was not going to receive a one size fits all type of care, and he truly tailors the care you need to your specific body and what is going on...an exceptional doctor who combines unparalleled expertise with compassionate care
From the moment I stepped into their clinic [Columbia University], I felt an overwhelming sense of warmth, empathy, and professionalism that immediately put me at ease...The nursing team was incredibly kind, compassionate, and competent. They made each visit comfortable and stress-free, ensuring that I felt supported throughout the entire process. I am forever grateful to Dr. Eric Forman for all his help throughout this process.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
I recently had the extraordinary privilege of being treated by Dr. Eric Forman, and I can confidently say that his office is the best Fertility clinic I have been to, and he is the best doctor I have ever encountered. From the moment I stepped into their clinic, I felt an overwhelming sense of warmth, empathy, and professionalism that immediately put me at ease. We traveled very far to be under his care. It was worth every penny. I would do it over again if I had to. Dr. Eric Forman's expertise in the field of in fertility care is truly unmatched. His extensive knowledge and experience are evident in every aspect of their practice. During my initial consultation, he took the time to thoroughly explain the entire IVF process we ended up only needing an IUI, but they addressed all my concerns and patiently answered all my questions. His ability to communicate complex medical information in a clear and understandable manner was truly commendable. I knew I was not going to receive a one size fits all type of care, and he truly tailors the care you need to your specific body and what is going on. One of the most impressive aspects of Dr. Eric Forman's approach is his personalized and individualized care. They recognized that every patient's journey is unique, and they tailored my treatment plan to suit my specific needs. They took the time to understand my medical history, lifestyle, and emotional well-being, ensuring that my treatment was not only medically sound but also emotionally supportive. Throughout our entire process, Dr. Eric Forman and his team displayed exceptional professionalism and dedication. They provided continuous support, not just during appointments but also via phone and email, promptly addressing any concerns or anxieties I had. His availability and responsiveness made me feel valued and cared for as a patient. The level of attention and care extended to me by Dr. Eric Forman extended to their entire staff. The nursing team was incredibly kind, compassionate, and competent. They made each visit comfortable and stress-free, ensuring that I felt supported throughout the entire process. I am forever grateful to Dr. Eric Forman for all his help throughout this process. We ended up seeing a different clinic for our IUI, but he guided me through the whole process and he answered every single email I sent him (even when he didn’t have to). He made sure they were doing what they needed to be doing and NOW WE ARE PREGNANT! Dr. Eric Forman is an exceptional doctor who combines unparalleled expertise with compassionate care. His dedication to his patients, personalized approach, and outstanding results makes him the best fertility doctor I have ever encountered. If you are searching for a knowledgeable, skilled, and compassionate fertility specialist, I wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Eric Forman. I truly believe I would not be pregnant if it weren’t for him. The care I received during my IUI was not even comparable to the care he provides. Due to the timing, we just couldn’t make it to NYC for this specific IUI cycle.
Don't lose hope! And document your entire journey
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths: Expertise and Success Rates: The clinic boasts an exceptional level of expertise and a track record of high success rates in IVF treatments. Dr. Forman is renowned for their extensive knowledge and experience in the field, ensuring patients receive top-notch care. Personalized Approach: One of the clinic's greatest strengths lies in their personalized approach to treatment. Dr. Forman understands that every patient's journey is unique, and they take the time to tailor treatment plans to individual needs, maximizing the chances of success. Compassionate Care: The clinic excels in providing compassionate care to patients throughout their IVF journey. Dr. Forman and their dedicated staff prioritize emotional support, ensuring patients feel heard, understood, and valued. They create a nurturing environment that eases the stress and anxiety associated with fertility treatments. Effective Communication: Dr. Forman possesses exceptional communication skills, allowing them to effectively convey complex medical information to patients in a clear and understandable manner. They are attentive listeners, taking the time to address all patient concerns and questions, promoting a strong doctor-patient relationship. Weaknesses: Availability and Wait Times: Due to their exceptional reputation, the clinic may experience high demand, leading to longer wait times for appointments. While the quality of care is worth the wait, some patients may find the scheduling process slightly challenging. Geographic Location: The clinic's location may pose a challenge for patients who reside far away. However, for those seeking the best IVF doctor, the travel distance may be a worthy sacrifice considering the level of expertise and care provided. Other Considerations: Cost and Insurance: It is advisable for prospective patients to inquire about the clinic's pricing structure and whether they accept insurance. Financial considerations are essential to address, as fertility treatments can be costly. The clinic may offer information on financing options or work with insurance providers to ease the financial burden.
For the initial consultation, other virtual appointments, blood work, genetic testing, and my HSG, totaled over $6,000 thankfully our insurance covered majority of it.

2022 - 2023, Successful
Dr. Karipcin is the best of the best. Despite how busy she is, she never makes you feel like a burden. She is always there to answer your questions. Not only that, she genuinely cared about me and my husband. She feels like family now...her guidance was impeccable. We did a modified natural cycle and it worked. I am pregnant currently. Not only is Dr. K an amazing doctor, but she is an extraordinary human being. I adore her and would recommend her a thousand times over for anyone's treatment.
[Columbia University is] Clean, efficient, welcoming. All of my appointments there have been smooth. The nurses doing something as simple as my bloodwork were always friendly and making conversation with me. Despite it being a large facility, you don’t feel like just a number here. You truly feel cared for because of the amazing doctors and staff members...[nurse] Sam and the team at Columbia were always so on top of everything. I knew I was in the best hands. I love the staff at Columbia Fertility.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
As mentioned, Dr. K is incredible, humane, thorough, and kind. She is the exact kind of person you would want to work with during something as sensitive as IVF treatment. Our case was a bit unique, as I did IVF to ensure I didn’t potentially pass along a genetic disease to my children that is in my family. However, I didn’t want to know the status of whether I have the gene or not. This happens through a process called nondisclosure genetic testing. I did research and saw that Dr. K had experience in this domain. Columbia is also pioneers in this field. I feel incredibly blessed that I went with Dr. K for this extremely important and life-changing process. She is knowledgeable and made myself and my husband feel comfortable every step of the way. Though she wasn’t able to do my second retrieval or the transfer just based on when the dates fell, I felt her presence every step of the way. Between both retrievals, I had 8 perfectly healthy embryos that we were able to freeze. Her guidance through the whole process was absolutely spot on. I wanted to do a natural frozen embryo cycle rather than medicated, and she made it work for me. Again, her guidance was impeccable. We did a modified natural cycle and it worked. I am pregnant currently. Not only is Dr. K an amazing doctor, but she is an extraordinary human being. I adore her and would recommend her a thousand times over for anyone's treatment.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Columbia University.
Always kind in their emails, clear instructions for any steps moving forward. I was never confused with what to do next. IVF is filled with medications, directions, and specific times. The nurses made everything clear and were easily accessible whenever I did have questions. Sam, my care coordinator, has helped me on so many occasions. She was patient, efficient, and also so kind. Since I don’t live in Manhattan and I’m a teacher, I needed to do some outside monitoring at a local facility during my IVF process. This involved Sam sending me requisition forms and also making sure Columbia received the results from my local facility in a timely manner to give me instructions. Sam and the team at Columbia were always so on top of everything. I knew I was in the best hands. I love the staff at Columbia Fertility.

2022 - 2023, 22 Eggs Frozen
I had an egg freezing cycle. She [Dr. Ashley Wiltshire] monitored my hormones and my follicle size and adjusted the levels day by day and I responded appropriately. She has the medical expertise to get you to achieve your goal. It was nerve wracking for me since I have to pay out of pocket but I only had successful experiences with her...She was very kind, answered all my medical questions, was never inpatient with me...I was very afraid of how I would manage with my busy schedule but she accommodated every question I had an maneuvered my cycle so I would do it before my vacation and an important exam. I gladly did a second cycle with her because of how easy she made it the first time and because she explained to me the percentage of success with my first cycle. I like that she involved me with the process. She is incredibly smart and I’m so glad I got to experience her care as a patient.
[Columbia University's] strength was that there was 2 locations so I did my ultrasound in one location and the egg retrieval somewhere else which went smoothly with my job schedule. They also allowed me to meet with the doctors virtually. Also they gave me information on how to qualify for the medications with a discount program which was not done at the other fertility center I visited before this one. Basically everything that was initially going to be a barrier was resolved in this clinic (location, visits, and medications).First cycle $10,450. Second cycle $9700...
How was your experience with Ashley Wiltshire at Columbia University?
Rest easy because you are in safe, knowledgeable, and kind hands. Any worries you have, she will tell you the truth and use her medical reasoning while being understanding. You lucked out as did I!
I had an egg freezing cycle. She monitored my hormones and my follicle size and adjusted the levels day by day and I responded appropriately. She has the medical expertise to get you to achieve your goal. It was nerve wracking for me since I have to pay out of pocket but I only had successful experiences with her.
I had many nurses but the main nurse always responded quickly and would reach out to Dr. Wiltshire if she needed to or to the Medication Coordinator or Appointment Coordinator in a timely manner
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic’s strength was that there was 2 locations so I did my ultrasound in one location and the egg retrieval somewhere else which went smoothly with my job schedule. They also allowed me to meet with the doctors virtually. Also they gave me information on how to qualify for the medications with a discount program which was not done at the other fertility center I visited before this one. Basically everything that was initially going to be a barrier was resolved in this clinic (location, visits, and medications).
First cycle $10,450. Second cycle $9700
I did not do elective single embryo transfer
2022 - 2023, Successful
Dr. Forman always made us feel like a priority and had exceptional bedside manner...he took the time to walk us through the information we needed, or followed up soon after. He was also very responsive via email, which was helpful in navigating such a challenging process. Finally, when he did have difficult news to relate, he would always call and show the balance of empathy and clinical clarity that we needed...He was instrumental in recommending a course of action that lead to my first health pregnancy after 10 rounds of ivf.
overall a professional and friendly clinic [Columbia University] that always seemed well run. No specific weaknesses come to mind. Their particular model has you seeing different doctors throughout the monitoring stage. This was fine for us because Dr. Forman always checked in around significant results and conducted all of the procedures...Overall a very competent nursing staff that was able to answer most of our questions, especially around drug protocols.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
I have seen three doctors in total, and consulted with many more. Dr. Forman is among the best and someone that I highly recommend for anyone looking for a doctor who will give you clear guidance and really help inform the decision making. He was instrumental in recommending a course of action that lead to my first health pregnancy after 10 rounds of ivf.
Dr. Forman has limited time during monitoring hours, so if you have any follow up questions make sure you reach out over email- he will always get back to you and provide a clear overview.
Dr. Forman always made us feel like a priority and had exceptional bedside manner. Even when the practice was busy, he took the time to walk us through the information we needed, or followed up soon after. He was also very responsive via email, which was helpful in navigating such a challenging process. Finally, when he did have difficult news to relate, he would always call and show the balance of empathy and clinical clarity that we needed.
We started with a duo-stim ivf cycle, which was experimental, but did lead to a successful egg retrieval after several cancelled cycles. We eventually made the decision to shift to a donor egg approach, which has it's own set of complications. And Dr. Forman advised us through the donor selection process and then the transfer, which was a dedicated transfer cycle.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
overall a professional and friendly clinic that always seemed well run. No specific weaknesses come to mind. Their particular model has you seeing different doctors throughout the monitoring stage. This was fine for us because Dr. Forman always checked in around significant results and conducted all of the procedures.
2023, Successful
I could not have had a better experience. Dr. Ashley always made herself available when I needed, she listened to my hesitations and requests, and worked with me with a lot of care! As a Black woman, it was reassuring to work with someone who looked like me and made sure I was always treated with respect and cared for... She developed a treatment plan that worked with my schedule, optimized to leverage my insurance and have 2 cycles. She answered all of the questions I had
They [Columbia University] were prompt for your assigned time which was great, I did not have to wait long. There was even I time I signed in for the wrong day and they corrected it so I could still be seen. The only unpleasant experience I had was one of the visits, I was late due to waiting for the elevator and they asked me to come back after lunch (I live in Brooklyn), luckily my doctor was there and I was able to meet with her that morning.
How was your experience with Ashley Wiltshire at Columbia University?
Dr. Ashley is a phenomenal doctor! I could not have had a better experience. I was very nervous coming into the treatments and also had a tight deadline due to switching jobs. She developed a treatment plan that worked with my schedule, optimized to leverage my insurance and have 2 cycles. She answered all of the questions I had, listened to my requests with wanting abdominal ultrasounds if possible, and allowed an alternative for drawing blood that eased the process a bit for me personally. She made sure to be there for both of my retrievals which made me feel as though I was truly in great hands. Can't recommend her enough!
Be honest about your questions or concerns, no matter how trivial you think they are! Dr. Ashley will answer :)
The 1st cycle I went through about 10 days of injections, 3 follicles grew quickly (faster than the rest), so she modified the treatment. We were able to retrieve 8 and freeze 3. I did a 2nd cycle immediately after the 1st. This time, Dr. Ashley adjusted my treatment plan starting with estrogen tablets & clomid at the outset, then I went through about 11/12 days of injections. The adjustments worked and we were able to retrieve 14 and freeze 12!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Kathryn "Kate" Klinger)
My primary nurse, Kate, was great! I had lots of questions around mixing the medications myself and she hopped on a few different video calls with me just to ensure I was doing it correctly.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Even though I live in Brooklyn, the clinic was easy to get to, right off the A line which was helpful. They were prompt for your assigned time which was great, I did not have to wait long. There was even I time I signed in for the wrong day and they corrected it so I could still be seen. The only unpleasant experience I had was one of the visits, I was late due to waiting for the elevator and they asked me to come back after lunch (I live in Brooklyn), luckily my doctor was there and I was able to meet with her that morning.
Very efficient, when I came in, they saw you within 10 minutes of your appointment time, sometimes sooner.
90% of my treatment was covered with my Progyny insurance
2023, 31 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Bishop was great to work with on freezing my eggs. She was easy to talk to and get in touch with...was super responsive if I had questions during my injections. I cannot say enough about what a good fit this...treatment was for me. The entire process here was also efficient and manageable for a busy professional like me. I had such a great experience that if I ever do need to use these eggs I know I will be coming back here for the process!
I had a great experience here [at Columbia University]. A different doctor than my doctor did my procedure and I was happy with the results. It did seem a little standardized (like they do this all the time) but I think that's what you want. The people that drew my blood daily and did my ultrasounds were the best. I felt so taken care of everyday...I cannot say enough about what a good fit this facility and treatment was for me. The entire process here was also efficient and manageable for a busy professional like me. I had such a great experience that if I ever do need to use these eggs I know I will be coming back here for the process!
How was your experience with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Dr. Bishop was great to work with on freezing my eggs. She was easy to talk to and get in touch with and her team was super responsive if I had questions during my injections. I cannot say enough about what a good fit this facility and treatment was for me. The entire process here was also efficient and manageable for a busy professional like me. I had such a great experience that if I ever do need to use these eggs I know I will be coming back here for the process!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
I would tell my friends to trust the process and try to be consistent with the injections. Since I was really new to this process, I didn't know how much pain around my bladder I would have. It was really easy to get in touch with the facility to ask about this side effect but would love to have known upfront since I did think I was getting a UTI. This is honestly such minor feedback. I had the best experience here and was happy with the process and results.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Describe the protocols Lauren Bishop used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
I don't think I had a very abnormal case so my injections were pretty standard. I had great results and was happy with the process. She made me feel pretty at ease during the experience.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I had a great experience here. A different doctor than my doctor did my procedure and I was happy with the results. It did seem a little standardized (like they do this all the time) but I think that's what you want. The people that drew my blood daily and did my ultrasounds were the best. I felt so taken care of everyday.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Bishop at Columbia University.
Good lord I'm still waiting for the bill but I'm insured so fingers crossed.
Describe Lauren Bishop's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Lauren Bishop
2 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
She [Dr. Sinem Karipcin] was a great doctor, very knowledgable and compassionate. She knew exactly what she was doing. Eventhough it is normal that transfers and egg retrievals be done by the Doctor who is present, she changed her schedule and showed up at my frozen embryo transfer and she surprised me and told me she was my support on that day. She made right decisions if necessary even last minutes such as about the time of trigger injection and it made my eggs have a better quality to be retrieved. I asked questions in the emails and she answered a bit later, so if I needed an answer right away, I had to reach out nurse or on call doctor.
[Columbia University] Clinic is great and very organized. The appointments were fast. You don't get to see your doctor as much, but every body else is helping you to get to what you want. Some of the nurses there were really friendly and at the end of the process we were like friends...Nurses were great, the only thing was that they changed from time to time but I just needed to know who my nurse was and contact the right person, the coordinator helped me alot in that sense.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
She was a great doctor, very knowledgable and compassionate. She knew exactly what she was doing. Eventhough it is normal that transfers and egg retrievals be done by the Doctor who is present, she changed her schedule and showed up at my frozen embryo transfer and she surprised me and told me she was my support on that day. She made right decisions if necessary even last minutes such as about the time of trigger injection and it made my eggs have a better quality to be retrieved. I asked questions in the emails and she answered a bit later, so if I needed an answer right away, I had to reach out nurse or on call doctor.
Trust her, she will do what is best. At the same time you can do your own research and she will help confirming or rejecting it
She was very kind and positive throughout the process and knew exactly what our difficulties were in our life and followed up at every visit.
With Sinem she started with 2clomids, 75 unit gonal F and 75 menopour for the stims on day 6 she added cetrotide 0.25 mg and later on she decreased gonal F to 25 and leupron to 37.5 IU. She used leupron for the trigger. It resulted in 23 eggs and 10 were mature, only two blastocyst. In the second cycle she changed the gonal F to 50 and 75 iu menopur.and later on added cetrotide. Trigger with half of ovidrel and 40 unit lupron. Resulted in 13 eggs, 10 mature. 1 genetically normal. My transfer was modified natural cycle, using letrozole and ovidrel to make sure I ovulate. And day 5 transfering one of my male frozen embryos
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I had many issues at some point, because of not having the coverage for pgt test, and at some point I figured that my insurance paid them and they also got it from me. I had to be on the phone with insurance and financial director for a couple of hours to solve this issue. But other than that everything was covered and I did not have many issues.
I think it was the right decision to make to prevent complications of multiples pregnancy and not wasting embryos if it does not work
2021 - 2023, Successful
Dr. K [Karipcin] is decisive, which gave me confidence in her plans. While she gives very clear medical options, I especially appreciated a moment in time where I told her I was upset with our progress (not her fault, but a natural feeling during IVF), and she immediately adjusted our plan to respect my feelings and push forward. She also surprised us by showing up for our second transfer when another doctor was scheduled to run the procedure...
The clinic [Columbia University] does not have a patient portal - they only send encrypted emails which you can't access after a certain period of time, so you have to save everything for your own records...My care coordinator, Sam, was extremely diligent and responsive. I would hear from her immediately after finalizing plans with Dr. K - I never had to chase or follow up myself... The clinic needs to do a better job of making sure care does not stop when a doctor is on leave for any period of time...
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. K is decisive, which gave me confidence in her plans. While she gives very clear medical options, I especially appreciated a moment in time where I told her I was upset with our progress (not her fault, but a natural feeling during IVF), and she immediately adjusted our plan to respect my feelings and push forward. She also surprised us by showing up for our second transfer when another doctor was scheduled to run the procedure. I am so glad she was there for our successful transfer - she deserved the success too!
If you have any questions about the plan and next steps, just ask. Dr. K is responsive through email and often time calls to make sure everything is clear. Make sure you know exactly what is going on.
Dr. K felt like a partner in our journey. She was kind to me and my husband. She encouraged us to not only consider our medical options, but to also consider my feelings.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Sam, Varda, Kimberly)
My care coordinator, Sam, was extremely diligent and responsive. I would hear from her immediately after finalizing plans with Dr. K - I never had to chase or follow up myself. She was also flexible and helped find times that worked for everyone. I especially appreciated Sam's care while Dr. K was out of the office on maternity leave, making sure that my appointments continued. I had a couple primary nurses throughout my time, and their communications and instructions were always clear. I also want to mention that the staff who drew blood was kind and quick.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic located on Broadway in New York has clean, modern facilities where I was able to go for many services, from blood draw to monitoring, including egg retrievals and transfers. The clinic does not have a patient portal - they only send encrypted emails which you can't access after a certain period of time, so you have to save everything for your own records. The clinic needs to do a better job of making sure care does not stop when a doctor is on leave for any period of time.
I could schedule my appoints online. It was easy to find a time that worked within a broad window. I never had to wait - the staff and appointments were always on time, like clockwork.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
I was instructed to begin taking medications during a natural cycle because of a miscommunication. I caught it early so we were able to stop medication and continue with the natural cycle, but I was the one who noticed the error.
2023, 25 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Wiltshire was super thorough and conscientious with my care...Dr. Wiltshire really pushed me to have as many mature follicles as possible while closely monitoring me for hyperstimulation. Several ultrasound techs/providers commented that I might be ready for triggering based on my ultrasounds, but she was super patient and wanted to keep going. I'm at a stage in my career/training where the egg retrieval was a big financial commitment for me, and I really appreciate her careful care so that I could get the most out of this cycle as possible...
[Columbia University] Very efficient and high volume. Doctor was easily reachable and communicative over email. Saw her a handful of times throughout monitoring, which is not necessarily a problem. Morning monitoring appointments very efficient---they were always on time and ultrasounds/bloodwork were always complete within 15 minutes. All of the phlebotomists and techs were very available. I also broke a menopur vial at home once and they gave me a replacement that was lying around, which I really appreciated.
How was your experience with Ashley Wiltshire at Columbia University?
I would recommend Dr. Wiltshire to anyone! She was super communicative and available throughout the whole process, and was really patient and meticulous with my care. The entire clinic as well was well organized, and they offer very early morning monitoring appointments which was super helpful with my work schedule.
Dr. Wiltshire was super thorough and conscientious with my care. I am a physician and am undergoing elective egg freezing, and Dr. Wiltshire really pushed me to have as many mature follicles as possible while closely monitoring me for hyperstimulation. Several ultrasound techs/providers commented that I might be ready for triggering based on my ultrasounds, but she was super patient and wanted to keep going. I'm at a stage in my career/training where the egg retrieval was a big financial commitment for me, and I really appreciate her careful care so that I could get the most out of this cycle as possible.
Egg retrieval: follistim + menopur days 1,2 follistim + menopur+ganirelix days 3-10 Trigger: lupron only Extraction on day 12
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
cycle $8000 meds $2500 anethesia $600 storage first year free, then $1200 annually