Genetic counseling: Offered
5 Columbus Circle
West Harrison
244 Westchester Ave
West Harrison, NY 10604
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Columbia University to a friend?

7.3

The strengths are many - being able to schedule monitoring appointments to eliminate the wait time is invaluable. The staff [Columbia U] is so sweet - they often greet me by name. The only weakness is the billing system. As part of a bigger university, the actual billing coordinators are only able to do so much and that needs to change.... Christine also gave me the best advice - she told me to try and sit back and let the experts manage the process.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The strengths are many - being able to schedule monitoring appointments to eliminate the wait time is invaluable. The staff is so sweet - they often greet me by name. The only weakness is the billing system. As part of a bigger university, the actual billing coordinators are only able to do so much and that needs to change.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
The level of communication is unlike any other doctor I've been treated by - follow-ups are consistent and the ability to reach my doctor directly via email at any and all hours of the day is simply priceless. During such a stressful and emotional process, knowing Dr. Forman is reachable to alleviate additional worries is such an incredible peace of mind.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
Christine is amazing. I started with Tiffany who was equally fantastic, but Christine came on board after working with Dr. Forman for 4 years at a previous practice. If that doesn't speak for itself, what does? Christine also gave me the best advice - she told me to try and sit back and let the experts manage the process. For a Type A person, it was a lightbulb moment and did in fact result in a positive pregnancy test (followed by a miscarriage). But nonetheless, it's a mantra I try and hold on to each and every step of the way.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
As a patient of Dr. Forman, I've felt that we're in this together and that he wants the best possible outcome for me and my husband. From the very first meeting where we never once felt rushed, he explained all of our options. And when we needed to change our approach, he didn't force it upon us but rather allowed us to come to the decision on our own as this is a very personal process and often times there isn't just one way to proceed. I never doubt he has our best interests at heart and that, along with his priceless communication skills, gives us peace of mind that we're in the right place with the right doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Be patient and try and relax - allow Dr. Forman to guide the process.
Describe the protocols Eric Forman used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
We started with oral meds and IUIs. My IUI first cycle we tried Letrozole but I didn't respond well so we went back to Clomid and did a double IUI. When that didnt work, I took a cycle off from monitoring but took Clomid to ensure I ovulated and keep things moving forward. Dr. Forman had mentioned injectable meds as a course of treatment but I was resistant and concerned about multiples. After reading a blog of a patient successfully pregnant via injectables, I decided to follow his advice and move ahead with them for the next cycle. And it worked - we were pregnant! I was NOT expecting it and was fully prepared to move on to IVF. Unfortunately, we had a miscarriage - and we were prepared for it as Dr. Forman saw the signs during an early scan. He never gave us false hope but was very pragmatic in managing expectations. We're now onto IVF and retrieval cycles - our first one did not yield as many as expected, but we're learning from it and hoping to have more success this 2nd time around.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Forman at Columbia University.
My IUI cycles were not covered by my insurance - no monitoring or medication. I now have monitoring coverage but nothing for IVF or medication.
Describe Eric Forman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
We are doing PGS testing on the embryos and Dr. Forman will only transfer one at a time (when we get there).
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University.

1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
I had Katrina and Tiffany as nurses. They did their jobs well. Even the nurses who draw blood exhibited a great standard of care. Peri, the Egg Donor Program Coordinator, is especially great. She was incredibly helpful and reliable.... I can't recommend this clinic (Columbia) enough. The only things that I would hope for other to avoid are things that they can't necessarily control. 1) Make sure your procedures are pre-authorized well in advance. Speak with your insurance yourself and know for sure that pre-autho went through.
1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I can't recommend this clinic enough. The only things that I would hope for other to avoid are things that they can't necessarily control. 1) Make sure your procedures are pre-authorized well in advance. Speak with your insurance yourself and know for sure that pre-autho went through. 2) One of the third party companies that they work with, Igenomix that is used for PGS testing, relies on your IVF doctor to explain things that I believe should be their responsibility. The only thing that the clinic can do to help avoid a lot of frustration when it comes to finding out your results from Igenomix is to explain to their patients that 1) Currently, NY state law does not does not allow companies like Igenomix to disclose mosaic results 2) Explain that mosaic results from Igenomix are handled differently and how. 3) Interpret the results from Igenomix completely for the patient before they try to do it for themselves with an Igenomix rep. Again, all things that I believe Igonmix should explain before someone uses their services considering it has to do with their results and the service that your paying them to do, not the clinic. Igenomix should be saying, “You should know that that NY State law prevents us from disclosing information about mosaics…”, “this is how we outline our results. we conclude mosaic embryos are also abnormal embryos so you wouldn’t use them anyway… (paraphrasing that last part… that’s not exactly right)..”, “This is how you interpret our results, here is an example”.
Dr. Forman listened to my concerns and is very good with first time IVF patients. Nothing was too small for his attention and he’s always doing his best for you. He consistently went above and beyond for me the entire time I was in his care. A perfect example of this was when I had expressed how much I wanted him to perform the actual IVF procedure rather than another doctor from the clinic. The day of the procedure, it wasn’t guaranteed that he could make it but he rushed to the clinic and made it happen. I actually teared up when I saw him. These things mean the world to women who have no control over their bad fortune. He and his team understood that these things mattered and what a difference it makes when your concerns are taken seriously. Even the front desk and nurses who draw blood exhibited the same standard of care. Peri, the Egg Donor Program Coordinator, is especially great. She was incredibly helpful and reliable. I can’t recommend Columbia University Fertility Center enough.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina)
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
I do not have a uterus but still have my ovaries. IVF, creating and freezing embryos and using a gestational carrier was the only strategy. It was all pretty straight forward for everyone. I declined using birth control because I had LH test strips to tell me approximately when my first day of cycle would be. He then monitored my blood work until we knew when to start everything. My injectables were Menopur, Gonal F & Cetrotide.

10 Eggs Frozen
Nurses [at Columbia] were both knowledgeable and compassionate. I think a big strength in this second cycle was that the nurses switched to primarily e-mail based communication instead of phone calls. This was much more efficient and also gives the opportunity for nervous patients like myself to confirm details by referring to the e-mail later...This clinic is EFFICIENT! But does so without losing the personal experience. Seeing consistent staff is really comforting, including front desk, phlebotomists, and sonographers. All staff were consistently warm and professional. Also they are VERY on top of patient identification and labeling. I was ALWAYS asked to confirm name and DOB at every step.
10 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
I did two retrievals with Dr. Rackow. The first did not get the result we expected and when I was ready to try again, Dr. Rackow thoroughly discussed with me what had happened clinically and what our plan was moving forward. She wanted to get another AMH level and I was hesitant because I didn't really want to know if it was rapidly declining. When my AMH was actually better than it was previously, she called me to personally share this good result. I always felt like she was actively invested in my care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University.
Nurses were both knowledgeable and compassionate. I think a big strength in this second cycle was that the nurses switched to primarily e-mail based communication instead of phone calls. This was much more efficient and also gives the opportunity for nervous patients like myself to confirm details by referring to the e-mail later.
How was your experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
Dr. Rackow is very compassionate and is willing to discuss all the details of treatment with her patients. While I didn't get to see her as much during my second cycle she still communicated with me during the process. She adjusted the approach after an initially disappointing first retrieval, and we had a much better result.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
Do not be hesitant to ask any and all questions initially. She was very willing to answer them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth Rackow at Columbia University.
$6,300, not including anesthesia. Plus costs of meds.
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University.

I'm still learning to navigate the clinic's system [Columbia University]. I think more specific information and follow-up up front would be helpful.... There was an initial confusion around which blood tests I was supposed to take. I expected the first consultation to be fairly straight forward, but when there was a small confusion, they did ask and clarify for me. There is also a billing issue that we are currently sorting through, though I would've appreciated more concrete information up front.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I'm still learning to navigate the clinic's system. I think more specific information and follow-up up front would be helpful. I went to a previous clinic for the initial consultation where I was given much more detailed information right from the get-go in terms of logistical matters, and this clinic feels a bit hands off so far, but again, I'm just starting, so perhaps that will change once I'm further into the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick was thoughtful and thorough in her explanation and also listened to my questions with care.
I'm still in the beginning stages, so I had only one blood draw so far. The nurse was thoughtful in asking me if I wanted to lie down (before even knowing if I was sensitive to having blood drawn). There was a bit of a clarification needed about which tests I was taking, but that issue/miscommunication wasn't the fault of the nurses.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
I saw Dr. Rudick for an initial consultation for future egg freezing as well as a full workup. I appreciated my one-on-one consultation with Dr. Rudick for her thoroughness and care in explaining the procedure and rationale to me. I felt that she didn't dilute or in any way gloss over any relevant information, which was important to me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
I'm still learning to navigate the system of this clinic and it might've been helpful to ask the doctor more about that. But our one-on-one interaction was good.
Describe the protocols Briana Rudick used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
I'm in the beginning stages for egg freezing. Dr. Rudick and I discussed medications in general terms as well as PCOS and my past blood results, and I would like to have heard more specifics, but this is something that I will follow up on. She was thorough and thoughtful in explaining the procedure and rationale.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Briana Rudick at Columbia University.
Still being determined.
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The Columbia Fertility office is awesome! They average length of my morning monitoring appointments was about 20mins which I really appreciated because I can have an appointment at 7 and still get to work by 8. They assigned me a person for financial questions, a nurse care coordinator, and someone to help with pharmacy issues. There was always someone I could ask to get any question answered. They are always friendly and I am on first name basis with a few of the receptionists and phlebotomists. I feel very comfortable there and welcome and really at home there. Even though they have so many patients they really try to make you feel welcome.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Dr. McConnel has a warm and direct bedside manner. She is very knowledgeable and factual and will answer any and all questions, but she is also caring and conveys enough warmth and compassion as she shares options, test results or the like. She always calls me personally with information to share about my results, particularly when they are difficult like when the last PGS testing resulted in no viable embryos. She is not pushy and is willing to go along with the ideas I suggest as well as help me understand what other options are available. I have appreciated her warm candor a lot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina )
I was assigned Nurse Katrina as my care coordinator and she was great. She would always return my calls quickly and was very helpful with any questions I had during the process. All the nursing staff I encountered at this office was great.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
When we first met Dr Mc Connell I was immediately at ease with her and felt in good hands because of her vast knowledge about her area of expertise. She answered all our questions and made sure to get every preliminary test done so that we could have all the information we needed to move forward. As we progressed through 3 IUIs she suggested the option to move towards IVF but I didn’t feel pressured by her at all. She gave us all the information we needed to make the big decision and was willing to work with anything we wanted to do. After two IVF cycles, I inquired about donor eggs as well and she gave me all the information about that process, even though we weren’t ready to take that step yet. Another thing I really appreciate about Dr McConnell is that she always goes out of her way to be the one to do my morning monitoring if she is in the office. It’s a big office and for monitoring I don’t always see her, but I appreciate that she looks out for me and is there when she can be. We have developed a nice relationship and we are able to joke and connect as people not just as doctor and patient. I trust her expertise completely and I feel very lucky that I found her on my first try with a doctor. I will say that I don’t particularly need a doctor who is gushingly warm so Dr McConnell is great for me. She is sensitive when needed but tends to be very matter-of-fact which I appreciate, but I mention here because some people really might want a more warm bedside manner.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
I would advise any prospective patient of Dr McConnell to ask any questions they have because she is more than willing to answer and fertility treatments can be daunting and there is so much to learn.
Describe the protocols Rachel McConnell used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
The first three cycles I did a basic IUI protocol with Clomid and a trigger shot. Dr McConnell has diagnosed me with low ovarian reserve, a blocked Fallopian tube and some male factor infertility in my partner but she wanted to start with a least invasive procedure and work up. I appreciated this because it also eased me into the treatments and shots as the IVF cycles we did later were much more involved. When we did our first IVF I was on Gonal-F, Menopur and later Cetrotide to prevent premature ovulation al followed with a Gonadotropin trigger shot. We did subcutaneous injections for everything - except the trigger shot. This first retrieval yielded 3 eggs but none made it to blastocyst stage. The second retrieval cycle we did a similar protocol but she upped the Gonal-F dosage to 450 from 300 units. That time we got one embryo and did a transfer supported by Oral Estrogen and Progesterone shots. The transfer was unsuccessful. We went back in for a consultation and decided to adjust some things for the third round including doing all shots intramuscularly - which Dr McConnell said could possibly increase absorption rates. In addition to the Gonal-F and Menopur, the third time she added Lupron shots. This time we retrieved 5 eggs and 3 made it to blastocyst but after PGS testing unfortunately none were genetically normal so there weren’t any to transfer. If we had done a transfer however, Dr McConnell had gotten me going on a mock transfer cycle to test my uterine lining with an ERA procedure to give us more information about the quality of the lining so that we could adjust the dosage of Progesterone or estrogen as needed to get the lining ideal for implantation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel McConnell at Columbia University.
This is all very relative to the patient’s insurance but for me I usually had a $25 copay for the morning monitoring. The IUI costs were largely covered by my insurance per NYS law. I had a few balances I had to pay but it wasn’t much. I also had three rounds of IVF covered through my husband’s insurance, so there were costs associated with that, but again not all out of pocket. The PGS testing was a separate $3000 to a company each time and we had some other costs associated with freezing some of my husband’s sperm due to his travel in zika areas.
Describe Rachel McConnell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Dr. McConnell had a strong preference for transferring only a single embryo with my situation. I think it makes the most sense because I have only gotten one viable embryo after three transfers. She also doesn’t think that there is enough evidence that multiple embryo transfer increases chances. For me it wasn’t a big deal because I didn’t get many embryos anyway, but I can see this being an issue for others.
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University.

I like that all emails sent from the facility [Columbia University] are secured, and only the Fertility Clinic has access to see your medical records regarding your treatments. ... the Front Desk team that worked during the weekdays are super nice with patients and are always in a great mood. They are very proactive and kind. ... Julissa Mota [nurse] was phenomenal with me! She was very kind and understanding during my whole process at the facility.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The facility has an elegant look and is on a private floor. I did like that the office is located in Midtown Manhattan, which makes it easy for many New Yorkers to get there. Also, I like that all emails sent from the facility are secured, and only the Fertility Clinic has access to see your medical records regarding your treatments.
I felt that I was treated like a human with Dr. Rudick because she was very kind, understanding and empathetic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Julissa Mota)
Julissa Mota was phenomenal with me! She was very kind and understanding during my whole process at the facility. Julissa also speaks Spanish which is my mother tongue language, and that made it easy for me to communicate with her. Julissa was very responsive with emails and phone calls. She was great in following up with me in a great timely manner and kept me in the loop about my test results and next steps. The whole nursing team was super nice and empathic during my visits at the clinic. They always tried to life my spirits, which I appreciated. Also, the Front Desk team that worked during the weekdays are super nice with patients and are always in a great mood. They are very proactive and kind.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick was absolutely amazing with my husband and I during this whole process! Ever since, I read her online Overview and saw her introduction video on the Columbia OB/GYN website, I knew that Dr. Rudick was the right doctor for me. I appreciated how she showed compassion for her patients and their experiences. I always appreciated how kind Dr. Rudick was, but mainly, she was incredibly knowledgeable and made me feel very confident about her work during my visits and treatments in the clinic. Dr. Rudick always educated both my husband and I during our visits at the facility and guided us during the whole process. Lastly, Dr. Rudick was always accessible for questions and concerns. She was very responsive to my emails, which was much appreciated when I wasn't feeling well or was experiencing symptoms from my treatment. I was very happy, and I am very thankful for Dr. Rudick's work.
From what I can remember, I did a few tests at the beginning of my visits to ensure I was in the right track, such as checking my hormone levels, a brain MRI, blood work, genetic tests, etc. After these initial tests, I was prescribed to take a small amount of Cabergoline once a week to balance my prolactin levels. My blood work and uterus were screened frequently in order to see my progress. During my first IUI try, I took Clomid, and for the last two IUIs, I took Letrozole which I was able to get pregnant with. On the 3rd IUI, I was able to get pregnant with twins :)
During my visits at the facility, I had two insurance, Aetna and Empire BlueCross BlueShield, and they both covered my IUIs treatments, etc.
Columbia University

Columbia Fertility is a wonderful practice. I felt like a dignified, respected patient. It wasn't like some clinics I have heard of where the lobby is always packed like some kind of baby-making factory. Everyone who works at the front desk is happy and helpful. The practice is clean/modern and well run.... Christine was a delight to work with. Very communicative throughout the process and kind during our many visits!
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Dr. Forman and his staff were very kind, informative, educated, clear and concise. They treated me just the way I treat others!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine and Gertrude)
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr. Forman was a kind and gentle man who was incredibly well informed, well trained and handled all communications and procedures with great attention and care. From our initial meeting to our most recent, he has taken the time to review all our concerns, teach us the necessary science and let us work through the options. I feel we were in charge of the decision(s) we made and always felt I was informed.
IVF is always a choice. There is a huge amount of pressure, when seeing a fertility doctor, to get pregnant as soon as possible--but making each decision with your partner, without pressure from anyone else is very important.
We elected not to move to IVF treatment just yet. My fiance has male factor infertility that could potentially be solved through surgery. As I am young and in good fertile health, we elected to wait to pursue IVF until after the surgery is complete and hopefully the sperm quality is much higher quality.
Dr. Forman and his practice took our insurance. So the costs were not too bad for the variety of tests we needed. We didn't choose to pursue IVF just yet--so we weren't hit with the huge IVF+ bills.
Dr. Forman said he rarely transfers multiple embryos (only in extreme cases). At first I wasn't aware that single embryo transfer was preferred due to the increased risk to mother and child--but after learning a great amount during the course of our journey, I would not see a doctor who regularly practiced multiple embryo transfer.
Columbia University

Columbia has a great new office in the same building that they were in but in the penthouse now. The place is soothing, clean, and nice to wait in. The wait times have drastically decreased. The morning appointments are super fast. They are quite organized, I've just seen a bit of line once. The front desk women are lovely. Always smiling and supportive. Overall my experiences there have been good. Hope it stays that way.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Dr Rudick always makes me feel like a human. Columbia as a clinic has changed a lot in the past 3 years as well. I went there to conceive my first child in 2016 and it was a mess. It feels quite congenial now. That could be also because they see me day in and out. Conceiving our second child has been a longer and a more arduos process than the first one.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Julissa)
The care staff has been great. The nurses I have been working with (Julissa and Katherine(?)) are both super compassionate lovely people.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr Rudick is probably the nicest doctor I've met. She is not fake nice, she is just a genuinely nice person. She is also really smart and has taken her time with us during our one on one meetings. However when I see her for my sono's I don't get to ask her questions. That said, the doctors are super busy and its not so called meeting time. Things haven't really gone our way this time round, by this time round I mean that I have been able to conceive through this clinic once before. Our insurance was not great and it took forever for us to get our diagnostic stuff taken care of, it was also very confusing, we changed our insurance but apparently didn't tell billing in time, just told the front desk. One would think front desk would tell billing but that is not the case. This delayed our start date for treatment. We did way too many IUIs, couple of which we did because we were under the impression that the IVF lab was closed for the whole of Jan. And then we realized that we could have still kicked off a IVF cycle since the labs do open by the second half of the month. A lot of this information was hazy and unclear. I feel we've lost a lot of time because of a lot of factors, none of which are directly related to Dr Rudick.
She is compassionate and relatable. However, I did feel a bit lost, like why am I doing what I am doing. What is the reason, why 1,2, or 3 IUI's, why not something else. Is this related to my age, something else? I feel that if I asked questions I would get an answer but if I didn't I wouldn't really know why I was doing the treatments I was. A reason for this could also be because we have unexplained infertility and there are routine treatments for that.
We are paying out of pocket for IVF and medication. All of IUI procedures and costs were covered. They don't have a payments plan for IVF by the way. I thought I read a review saying that they did.
Columbia University

I have found the clinic [Columbia University] to be organized. They are accommodating to patients on weekends (walk-ins). The front desk staff are welcoming. I am usually in and out of the clinic within half hour or so for blood work and ultrasound. Wait time may be a bit longer for follow up visits with my doctor. The earlier your appointment is the quicker you are seen. I like the consistent flow from one procedure to the next. I do wish I saw my Primary Physician more often for the ultrasounds rather than any Physician who is present that morning.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I have found the clinic to be organized. They are accommodating to patients on weekends (walk-ins). The front desk staff are welcoming. I am usually in and out of the clinic within half hour or so for blood work and ultrasound. Wait time may be a bit longer for follow up visits with my doctor. The earlier your appointment is the quicker you are seen. I like the consistent flow from one procedure to the next. I do wish I saw my Primary Physician more often for the ultrasounds rather than any Physician who is present that morning.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Grossman Becht at Columbia University?
Dr Grosasman Becht is very professional. She maintains a constant smile on her face when discussing my care(the smile sometimes come across as rehearsed rather than genuine). She covers all aspects of my care including benefits vs risk of each drug I have been prescribed. So far, her team has been good with communicating pertinent information/updates.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda Souverain)
My nurse is efficient in communicating information regarding my care. She responds in a timely manner to my emails. The is reassuring and professional. I truly believe she has my care in her best interest even though it is the doctor who makes decisions.
How was your experience with Lisa Grossman Becht at Columbia University?
Dr Grossman-Becht is polite and profession which for me allows me to feel comfortable to ask questions. She makes effort to explain procedures as well as test results. She is a practical but positive MD. She covers all the possibilities of my care including alternative treatment if the current treatment fails. She takes my personal account of how I think my body functions(eg. Left /right side ovulation on any given month based on my experience throughout my teen to adult years) without being dismissive.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Grossman Becht at Columbia University?
Write down all the questions you need answers to before consultation/visit. She will answer your questions.
Describe the protocols Lisa Grossman Becht used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
My treatment included IUI protocol with blood work and ultrasound on day 2-4 Followed by a phone call that day to start taking Clomid 50mg for 5days (2 pills). Ultrasound and blood work to check hormone levels and follicles for size at approximately day 8-10. May have another ultrasound 3 or so days later to reassess follicle size and uterus lining thickness. This is followed by a trigger shot of ovidril the morning of the day prior to IUI date. The IUI was cancelled because I was going to travel to a Zika territory. I am now following the same protocol for pending IUI but instead of Clomid, I am taking Letrozole 2.5mg.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Grossman Becht at Columbia University.
billed amount for Dr Grossman :530.00 amount allowed by insurance$151.00 amount paid: $151.00. These amounts are higher for Physicians who seem to have more years of experience when they perform my ultrasound. My medications/treatment is not covered by insurance and is paid out of pocket. IUI cost $2649.50
Lisa Grossman Becht
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Lisa Grossman Becht at Columbia University.

Columbia seems to have made an effort to cut down on wait time. I never had to wait more than 10 minutes--very important when you're trying to squeeze these appointments in before work. All the doctors I saw for ultrasounds seemed very kind and knowledgeable. The financial coordinator overall was very helpful, but my one complaint is that I sometimes had to email repeatedly to get the information I needed.... $3K to develop a genetic probe $3K for PGS/PGD testing of up to 12 embryos
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Dr. Forman goes above and beyond to answer every question you have, consider all your specific circumstances, and give you as much information as you need. He's very professional and can report results in a straightforward manner, but he also understands what an emotional rollercoaster IVF is and makes himself extremely available for his patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University.
Wonderful! Jenny did a lot of my blood draws and gave me such comfort during those 7 a.m. needle in the arm appointments (and also never left a bruise). Christine and Tiffany did a lot of the communication about medication and appointments and were clear and prompt.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr. Forman is the best doctor I've had across the board and has elevated my standards for medical care. Never before had I met a doctor who emailed me back (from his direct email, not through some labyrinthine portal system run by a staff person) always within the day, often within the hour, and sometimes within minutes! He made it a priority to do my transfer himself and did two of my three retrievals; for the one retrieval he couldn't do, he called me the night before to go over what to expect and check if I had any questions. When my first retrieval didn't yield the desired results, he spent an hour on the phone with me to review what had happened and discuss protocol shifts. He validated my frustration but also left me feeling hopeful and, sure enough, the next outcome was better. He also was willing to share as much information as my neurotic brain required, including sending me my follicle measurement and hormone level charts, doing side-by-side comparisons of rounds, etc. Even after I got pregnant and "graduated" out of the IVF clinic, when I reached out with a concern Dr. Forman quickly offered me an appointment and had me in for a blood draw to confirm that all was okay. I ended up doing a CVS to confirm the PGD/PGS testing (the reason we had done IVF), and while I was no longer officially his patient at that point, he still reached out beforehand to wish me luck and later followed up to ask how it went. While Dr. Forman is not overly demonstrative and his manner didn't at first strike me as super smiley or warm, he shows his care through his actions and patient outcomes. With a process as emotionally challenging as IVF, he's the doctor you want managing your treatment. I can't recommend him highly enough.
Ask him everything. He is extremely knowledgeable and can give you as many detail as you want but won't overwhelm you with jargon if that's not your speed.
We saw Dr. Forman for IVF with PGD after learning I carried an x-linked disease. He was willing to do a repeat genetic panel to confirm the diagnosis. We eventually did three rounds of stimulation drugs: Round 1 - 150 Follistim and 150 Menopur, then Ganirelix, then 10000 HcG. Yield: 14 eggs, 7 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 made it to blastocyst. Round 2 - 300 Follistim and 150 Menopur, then Ganirelix, then 5000 HcG and Lupron (dual trigger) Yield: 15 eggs, 7 mature, 7 fertilized, 6 made it blastocyst. Round 3 - Estradiol to suppress before starting (because I'd had a leading follicle in between rounds that led us to delay). Same medication regimen as Round 2. Yield: 25 eggs, 15 mature, 13 fertilized, 7 made it to blastocyst. The thinking was that increasing the stim dosage would improve possibly both my egg yield and the number of embryos that made it to day 5. The thinking behind the Lupron was that it might help my egg maturity ratio. Neither was a perfect fix, but the results kept improving overall, so we were pleased. We had to do three rounds because few embryos passed both the PGS and PGD testing, and we wanted to do a transfer with a couple embryos banked. Before the FET, we did progesterone shots and estrogen pills, and the first one took!
$3K to develop a genetic probe $3K for PGS/PGD testing of up to 12 embryos $10K out-of-pocket in meds for three retrievals, 1 transfer, and hormones for first 10 weeks of pregnancy My insurance miraculously covered my three retrievals and transfer with copays, which I'm still adding up--but are probably around $600 (as opposed to the $10K I feared)
Dr. Forman I believe is a pioneer in eSET and strongly believes in this approach.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
I loved every aspect of the Columbia Fertility clinic. It felt small and personalized without feeling overly exclusive or anything like that. I felt incredibly well taken care of at every step, like people recognized me and cared about ME specifically and were rooting for my success. Very very humanizing.... Christine was amazing! My interaction with her was primarily via email and she was incredibly responsive and helpful with all my questions.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Dr. Forman and the whole Columbia Fertility center were SUCH a breath of fresh air. I had been going to RMA before where I very much felt like a number, not a human. At Columbia the office is small, the wait time is non-existent, and even though it can be busy it always felt, at every single step of the way, like every person cared about me and making sure that I was being taken care of in all ways, physically and emotionally. I really can't say enough good things. It was SUCH a good, relaxing, reassuring experience going there.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine Helbo)
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr. Forman is great, very measured and thoughtful. He's definitely reserved meaning he's cautious about being overly positive OR negative and really takes things one at a time. I wouldn't say that he and I are besties, but I did feel incredibly well taken care of at every step of the way and never EVER felt pressured to move forward faster than I was ready he for. Instead, my experience of Dr. Forman is that he's incredibly thorough and takes his time, meaning that he really considers the options, tries different things, and lets you decide what you're ready for.
Ask lots of questions! But also rest assured you're working with a great doctor. Oh and when they say you can email them they REALLY mean it, Dr. Forman and his nurse would get back to me SO fast even on weekends.
I did one IUI cycle with a double IUI (two IUIs performed 24 hours apart) with Letrozole and Progesterone suppositories. This was after having done 2 unsuccessful IUI cycles with Clomid. Dr. Forman said that he used Letrozole because it tends to work better with patients with endometriosis. I have not technically been diagnosed with endometriosis but its suspected because of a 3cm cyst on my right ovary that appears to be an endometrioma.
$300 or so in insurance co-pays, VERY reasonably priced.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
The office [Columbia University] has done a wonderful job of keeping to schedule. I never had to wait more than 10 minutes during morning monitoring, even when there was a full waiting room. Staff always had smiles on their faces and you get to know the nurses well. ... I found it much easier to communicate with my nurse via email and would receive responses within 24 hours. ... They communicate all updates in a timely fashion.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Its in a new space - spacious and very clean. I always felt comfortable during my visits. If you see a packed waiting room, don't fret, they are very organized and I never waited for monitoring more than 10 minutes. If I were waiting for my doctor that was a bit different and if they were running late they always told me. They communicate all updates in a timely fashion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
The office has done a wonderful job of keeping to schedule. I never had to wait more than 10 minutes during morning monitoring, even when there was a full waiting room. Staff always had smiles on their faces and you get to know the nurses well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
The staff at the office were very nice. I found it much easier to communicate with my nurse via email and would receive responses within 24 hours.
How was your experience with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
Dr. Williams was exactly who we needed after an unsuccessful attempt at IVF with another clinic. Dr. Williams took more of a clinical approach with us and I did not feel like they were playing a numbers game or just going through the motions with us. We walked through our plan by steps. It was A to B. When we got to B we stopped assessed and moved to C. It was never a check the box feeling I had when working with this office. I also felt that Dr. Williams viewed my health as a priority. After my third miscarriage (2 natural, 1 IVF), another clinic said I should jump right into another cycle. I felt like something was missing and I needed to know that I was okay. Dr. Williams took a step back and ran test after test until we were comfortable with moving forward. I also felt that the office walked me through everything to make sure I understood the procedure. At another clinic I was told to watch youtube videos to figure out some stuff. It was just a different experience for me, and I feel like to have found Columbia when I did.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zev Williams at Columbia University?
Dr. Williams is extremely sought out and very busy, but I never felt that he didn't get back to me. When I was going through setbacks, Dr. Williams would call me personally just to check up on my mental wellbeing - he really truly cares. If I was unable to get a hold of him, my nurse was able to get the information I needed.
Describe the protocols Zev Williams used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Dr. Williams stopped an IVF cycle Day 8 into meds as he felt I could get better results with a different attempt, so we switched to IUI that month. When we were ready for another IVF round, I was put on Chlomid, Menapur and Follistim. I never really had a reaction to meds, but this go around with the addition of the Chlomid I was super tired - exhausted. I never felt hormonally out of control, just tired and sleepy after the Chlomid so I started taking it right before bed instead of the morning.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zev Williams at Columbia University.
Cost of IVF with ICIS, PGD and transfer was around $22,000. Medication costs were approximately $5,000 per cycle.
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Zev Williams at Columbia University.

Columbia University Medical Center is a nice place, staff is polite and friendly. office looks clean and busy, they offer very flexible appointments the atmosphere is very calm and relaxing, in general I was very satisfied wit the service I got in Columbia University Medical Center. ... Laura is a wonderful RN with a very pleasant personality, she is responsive, understanding and gets things done swiftly. Laura is a excellent communicator between you and your doctor. Her smile is pure sun shine !
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Not only we were treated human, with dignity, patience and respect, we always felt priority ! Dr. Williams genuinely cared for our success. He always took the time to explain things making eye contact while he spoke. He works very gently and has refined bed side manners. He made sure to give me a call back even on days the center was closed, Dr. Williams went a long way, beyond his call of duty, to ensure my safety and well being. Dr. Williams is one of a kind, both, as an expert in his medical field and in being a devoted, dedicated doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Laura Lodico)
How was your experience with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
When we had our initial consultation, Dr. Williams carefully listened to us, paid attention to every detail, reviewed our medical records and explained to us that our initial diagnosis was wrong ! we had a few other medical professionals review our case in the past. He was the "firs one" to realize that we were off track and misled. Dr. Williams has a very out of the box open minded approach when diagnosing his patients. He has a brilliant mind and a kind heart. He analyzes a situation from every angle and possibility before customizing your treatment plan. He patiently addressed our concerns and answered all our questions in a clear sensible way. Although he is very realistic and careful not to promise, he gave us a sense of security and hope.
Give your doctor as much information as you can. When it comes to diagnosing and treating infertility "small" details matter, "big time!" Also, don't be shy to ask. understanding whats going on puts you ease,
Two rounds antibiotics, vitamin D, aspirin
Columbia University

The Clinic [Columbia University] is a well kept and calm environment. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The documents are very organized, prescriptions are sent directly to the pharmacy for on time delivery. It's easy to get in touch with a doctor or nurse, everyone is there to help you and make you feel important. ... Laura [nursing staff] was always there for us, if we had any questions we knew that we can rely on Laura.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The Clinic is a well kept and calm environment. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The documents are very organized, prescriptions are sent directly to the pharmacy for on time delivery. It's easy to get in touch with a doctor or nurse, everyone is there to help you and make you feel important.
Dr. Williams was very polite to us, he made us feel that he has all the time for us. He explained every detailed until we understood it. He explained the process and steps. We felt very comfortable, knowing that Dr. Williams is monitoring every step of the way just as if we're his only patient.
Laura was always there for us, if we had any questions we knew that we can rely on Laura.
How was your experience with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
From the minute we got to know Dr. Williams, we were delighted, because he showed us that he is here for us, and will be with us along the journey. Dr. Williams is very intelligent and always informed with the latest studies. His bright insight in every situation, gave us the feeling of trust. He knows each patient and follows up with them.
If you want to have a Doctor that won't leave a stone unturned, meet Dr. Williams.
We came to Dr. Williams after a number of miscarriages. He started off by reviewing all the repots from our previous Doctors. He took multiple blood tests and monitored the sugar levels. Then he did a Sanagram to try to identify the cause. The cause he identified was a combination of blood clotting that were around the embryo and high sugar levels that didn't allow the placenta to connect properly to the embryo. I was put on a low carb and sugar diet and baby aspirin. I was monitored until he confirmed that it was a safe and successful pregnancy.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Other
I think the strength [Columbia] of the clinic depends on what doctor you get—Dr. Williams always made you feel like a priority but some of the clinic staff did not seem entirely organized or thorough. That being said, they were always friendly. The facilities may not be as nicely furnished or new as other centers, but there is definitely a lot of human talent within the walls...Laura was thorough and positive from the beginning. Like Dr. Williams, her approach to her role was more of an ally than a nurse. I felt that with each positive result, she was cheering us on!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I think the strength of the clinic depends on what doctor you get—Dr. Williams always made you feel like a priority but some of the clinic staff did not seem entirely organized or thorough. That being said, they were always friendly. The facilities may not be as nicely furnished or new as other centers, but there is definitely a lot of human talent within the walls.
Doctor Williams and his nurse, Laura, truly understood my feelings of desperation for help and helplessness because my husband and I had experienced 11 miscarriages and a neonatal loss and had no answers as to why. They both treated us with urgency, and from the very first consultation, outlined a plan of tests that would help us find answers, and ultimately, hope. Within one week of meeting Dr. Williams for the first time, he had figured out the source of our infertility (Asherman’s syndrome) and had scheduled the first surgery we needed to work on correcting it! Within 6 months, the corrective procedures had been completed and we were ready to try again—and WITHIN ONE YEAR, we were pregnant with our daughter who was born months later! After five years of pregnancies, and other fertility doctors who would not treat us for fear that we may skew their success numbers after so many unexplained losses, Dr. Williams took us as patients—understood our grief and responded with compassion and hope. We have a family now because of him.
How was your experience with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
Dr. Williams always explained our treatment thoroughly and set expectations for possible outcomes. Although you can see that he has a brilliant mind, he was always patient with our many questions, offering insight into the hows and whys of each step. But more than anything, he treated my husband and I like the family we were trying to become—like two parents for whom he would help find answers rather than two people who were trying and failing at making a family. It’s a subtle difference but the effect is that we felt at all times that we had an ALLY rather than just a PHYSICIAN. A Physician might tell you why you keep losing your keys. An Ally helps you find them. Dr. Williams never had an observation that he didn’t quickly follow with a plan and a “what questions do you have for me?” I had to have two corrective surgeries and several other procedures in between to diagnose and correct my Asherman's—and through each one, he helped us maintain hope. When we conceived our daughter (only 9 months after meeting Dr. Williams for the first time!) I’ll always remember how he congratulated us: “You’ve got some really exciting milestones ahead!’
Bring your data and know your clinical history—Dr. Williams brilliantly connected a sensitivity to gluten (that I was completely unaware of!) as a potential cause for some of my earlier miscarriages. He will ask you everything, even things that don’t seem associated as he rules out possible causes—so be open, honest and as thorough so as to help him as much as possible!
I believe we began with testing for various auto-immune and sensitivity disorders as well as genetic testing on past embryos and my husband and I. Then a hysteroscoopy revealed scar tissue and lesions inside the uterus. Two further adhesolysis procedures followed with baloon insert and rounds of estrogen following to regrow uterine lining.
Columbia University

The clinic [Columbia] was very pleasant, from the front desk check-in process to back end phlebotomy experience, everyone is always smiling and attentive. They know you by your name when you are there for every visit. Also, when doing morning monitoring, you were in and out of the office within 15-20 minutes. There was never a long wait for morning monitoring, so you will always make it to work on time...Laura Lodico, RN is an amazing nurse who works extremely well with Dr. Zev Williams and the team at CURC. Laura was very attentive to my questions and concerns and got back to me with answers immediately. She always followed up with lab results immediately when it is available and always checked in after treatment to see how I was feeling. She made me feel very special.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic was very pleasant, from the front desk check-in process to back end phlebotomy experience, everyone is always smiling and attentive. They know you by your name when you are there for every visit. Also, when doing morning monitoring, you were in and out of the office within 15-20 minutes. There was never a long wait for morning monitoring, so you will always make it to work on time.
Dr. Zev Williams and colleagues (just to name a few-Drs. Eric Forman and Briana Rudick) are amazing physicians. They were very attentive to all my questions and concerns throughout my treatment. Questions and concerns were answered immediately to a few hours when asked. Staff and physicians knew my name and greeted me each time I was in the office. It was a family feel and they were going through each step with my husband and I.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Laura Lodico, RN)
How was your experience with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
Dr. Zev Williams is an amazing, kind hearted, and intelligent physician. He was very through in explaining step by step what the treatment plan will be. He was very attentive to any questions or concerns I had throughout the treatment. From the consultation visit until we conceived, he always made my husband and I feel very important and extremely cared about. We still keep great communication regarding the progress of my pregnancy. I recommend any patient to see him or his colleagues.
If you want the best experience with treatment and success in conceiving, he is the physician you want to see and his colleagues.
Preparation for egg retrieval: Gonol F 225U daily for 10-12 days, Menopur 75U daily for 10-12 days, Cetrotide for 5 days; HCG trigger injection x 1. To produce follicles for retrieval. ICSI with the retrieved follicles and allow 5-6 day fertilization and freeze embryos. Frozen embryos have greater success rates of conceiving than fresh embryo transfers with timing.
Insurance covered a lifetime of $30,000 for infertility treatment. Had to pay deductibles, co-insurance and copayments. But, the clinic have payment options for patients that would need to pay out of pocket.
Describe Zev Williams's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Dr. Zev Williams wanted to transfer a single embryo, but was not opposed to two embryos being transferred, if we wanted.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
When you walk into Columbia Fertility, there is a sense of calm about the place. It seems as though there was a lot of thought put into the way the space is structured - lots of natural light, open airy spaces, soft music in the background and an overall beautiful decor....I must note that when you are trying to reach a nurse or a secretary by phone, there is usually some waiting time, and you do get transferred around a bit...their online patient portal to be severely lacking - appointment summaries and test results are never posted....Laura [nurse] was a great liaison between us and Dr. Williams. She was always the one to call us with results, and she made sure that we understood each step of our protocol.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
When you walk into Columbia Fertility, there is a sense of calm about the place. It seems as though there was a lot of thought put into the way the space is structured - lots of natural light, open airy spaces, soft music in the background and an overall beautiful decor. There never seemed to be more than 5 or 6 other patients waiting in the waiting room, which made me more comfortable taking the time I needed with my doctor, without having to worry about holding up a waiting room full of angry patients. I had some insurance issues in the beginning, but I found the billing department to be very accommodating, and they did their best to help straighten it out. I must note that when you are trying to reach a nurse or a secretary by phone, there is usually some waiting time, and you do get transferred around a bit which can be frustrating. I also find their online patient portal to be severely lacking - appointment summaries and test results are never posted.
Dr. Williams always made eye contact when he spoke to me, and I felt as though he was constantly assessing my emotional reaction to whatever information he was giving me.
Laura was a great liaison between us and Dr. Williams. She was always the one to call us with results, and she made sure that we understood each step of our protocol. She was the one that we reached out to whenever a question came up, and she was never more than a phone call or email away... and always with a smile!
How was your experience with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
Although Dr. Williams is absolutely brilliant in his field of expertise, he is also extremely humble. He treats his patients with genuine empathy and a unique sensitivity. At times, it almost felt as though Dr. Williams was being more sensitive to our emotional needs than we ourselves were being. We always felt that he was truly listening to us with his full attention. His kindness can also be seen in the way that he treats his staff - always introducing the nurses by name to the patient, and always talking to them in a respectful manner.
Have a list of questions ready, because he will be willing to answer them all.
One Round of Antibiotics - due to Chronic Endometritis (low grade uterine infection which can inhibit fertility and/or cause miscarriage) Operative Hysteroscopy for Asherman's Syndrome - to remove moderate scarring which was found on my cervix and inside my uterine cavity Vitamin D supplementation Folic Acid supplementation Baby Aspirin + Lovenox Injection - due to an ACE Gene Mutation Metformin - due to insulin resistance Prometrium (vaginally) - due to low levels of progesterone in the early weeks of my pregnancy
Columbia University

It's [Columbia University] a money making machine. There is no customization in terms of adjusting hormones. ... You don't see your doctor regularly for ultrasounds or blood work. ... Before a vacation they didn't call in the right amount of hormones ... They barely have time to remember people except for 2 nurses who were above average. ... The clinic processes about 40 women an hour in the morning
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It's a money making machine. There is no customization in terms of adjusting hormones. You have to go 3 times a week and they must process 50 women within 90 minutes. You don't see your doctor regularly for ultrasounds or blood work. We sat down with Dr. Grossman twice throughout the whole process. The fact that 2 different doctors did our transfers and used 2 different procedures for the transfer confused us. There should be consistency at least in that area.
The clinic processes about 40 women an hour in the morning. The doctor who is primarily assigned to you doesn't even do your transfer. So you get to know "your" doctor, but then you have a random doctor do the transfer.
It's a zoo in there. They barely have time to remember people except for 2 nurses who were above average.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
How was your experience with Lisa Grossman Becht at Columbia University?
Dr. Grossman as an individual is compassionate and friendly. She also explained as much as she could when we saw her. The issue was that we barely saw her for such an important event in our life. I believe this is a negative consequence of the clinic and not her.
Just avoid Columbia in total.
My husband's first sperm analysis came back with results that he had extremely low sperm count. Columbia referred us to a urologist they recommended, who ended up being completely disorganized and disappointing. Since he has such low sperm count we should've pursued a competent urologist path in the first place, but Dr. Grossman said we'd be ok doing IVF as long as we had a few sperm to work with. I went through the egg retrieval process (which was an nightmare. they overstimulated me and doubled the dose of hormones). I could barely walk the two days preceding my egg retrieval process and they got 33 eggs from me (way above normal). We had to wait a month for first transfer because my ovaries were overstimulated and had to calm down. The first transfer was done by a random doctor, and failed. Our second transfer was done by another random doctor (who used a completely different procedure) and failed.
we paid 20% of total costs.
Describe Lisa Grossman Becht's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
No comments here.
Lisa Grossman Becht
Columbia University

The clinic actively takes part in research performed at Columbia University, which means that it remains at the forefront of the field. Treatments provided are state-of-the-art. Besides the expertise, sensitivity and kindness of the staff, the clinic facilities provide a welcoming surrounding...The care coordinator called a week before our first appointment to make sure that we submit our new patient questionnaire ahead of time, so that Dr. Forman would have the time to review our case before meeting with us. The nurse, Christine, was very helpful, providing us with a checklist of additional diagnostic tests required and talking us through the advantages and disadvantages of genetic testing. The nurse who took our blood was very diligent, competent, and friendly.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Dr. Forman had carefully read our medical history before meeting with us. On our first visit, a doctor in training attended our consultation, but before leading us into the room, Dr. Forman asked us in a sensitive manner whether this would be ok with us. It was clear that we had the choice to say no and that this would be accepted and respected. During the consultation, he took the time to listen to us, review any medical data we had brought with us, and explain various details of the anticipated procedures to us, weighing different options and providing a clear treatment plan tailored to our specific situation. He directly organized for us to meet with different members on his team to address various aspects of the treatment, and take blood samples for additional diagnostics. Everyone on his team was completely focused on us and our needs, and acted in a calm and efficient, yet supportive manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Gertrude)
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
When we left Dr. Forman's office, both my husband and I felt imbued with confidence that we were in good hands. He had taken the time to carefully review our medical history and data, and explained to us potential treatment paths with their advantages and disadvantages, concluding with the best option for our situation. All the while he was eager to hear our story, and provided us with ample opportunities to ask any questions we might have. He also gave us his e-mail address and answered any e-mail within 24 hours.
We are at the very beginning of treatment. Since my husband has azoospermia due to blockage, the anticipated treatment would require sperm extraction, egg extraction, ICSI, and finally IVF. Dr. Forman suggested not to perform both the sperm and egg extractions on the same day, in order to prevent me from having to undergo invasive treatment should the sperm extraction not yield the desired results. Dr. Forman also suggested some strategies to save both time and money, which was very much appreciated.
Dr. Forman suggested implanting a single embryo only, as he was confident that given my values this should not be a problem. He said that if we were to perform genetic testing on the embryo pre-implantation, this would allow us to determine whether any of the generated embryos might not be good for implantation, thus raising the chances to obtain a successful pregnancy after implanting just one embryo.

Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I am so glad that I chose to use Columbia when my husband and I struggled to conceive. Dr. McConnell is brilliant and also kind and comforting throughout what can be a very anxiety-producing process. She is patient with me and answers all of my questions, and I never feel rushed...They [nurses] are very kind and thorough and answer all of my millions of questions...the patient financial coordinator is wonderful and helps with every step of the financial aspect of treatment. She responds to emails immediately.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I am so glad that I chose to use Columbia when my husband and I struggled to conceive. Dr. McConnell is brilliant and also kind and comforting throughout what can be a very anxiety-producing process. She is patient with me and answers all of my questions, and I never feel rushed. I mainly see her in the Westchester office, but I have been to the new Manhattan location as well and it's amazing!! I had an appointment with Dr. Forman once when Dr. McConnell was out of the office and he seemed great as well. The process of scheduling appointments is seamless, and I adore all of the nurses, secretaries, and phlebotomists I have interacted with.
They are very kind and thorough and answer all of my millions of questions;
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
She is knowledgeable and compassionate. I highly recommend her. I mainly see her in the Westchester office, but I have been to the new Manhattan location as well and it's amazing!! I had an appointment with Dr. Forman once when Dr. McConnell was out of the office and he seemed great as well. The process of scheduling appointments is seamless, and I adore all of the nurses, secretaries, and phlebotomists I have interacted with.
Be proactive. Ask any questions you have.
My insurance covered everything, but the patient financial coordinator is wonderful and helps with every step of the financial aspect of treatment. She responds to emails immediately.
Columbia University

The clinic [Columbia University] is beautiful, you’re always greeted. They have coffee, tea and water for you while you wait. They even sometimes play relaxing music. The clinic is always clean. The waiting area, the rooms and bathrooms are well kept. They provide anything you need to freshen up...The nursing staff was amazing. They communicated well and were very pleasant...Dr.Rudick was welcoming which made me more comfortable since I had a bad experience from my first fertility doctor. She also asked me what I will like to do as far as treatment. She gave me all my options and broke them down to me. She also got a chance to talk with my husband who’s a trans man. She gave us insight on fertility in the LGBTQ community. She’s been nothing but amazing so far.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is beautiful, you’re always greeted. They have coffee, tea and water for you while you wait. They even sometimes play relaxing music. The clinic is always clean. The waiting area, the rooms and bathrooms are well kept. They provide anything you need to freshen up.
My first time meeting Dr. Rudick we went over my fertility records. She asked questions and also listened to me. The first clinic I went to I didn’t get none of that. They barely spoke to me about my failed IUI’s and didn’t even try to see why it wasn’t working.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University.
The nursing staff was amazing. They communicated well and were very pleasant.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Rudick will communicate very well with you. She will even email you if to make sure you and her on the same page.
I haven’t gotten a chance to have a cycle with her yet. She ordered an SHG test which discovered I had Fibroids so I had to undergo two surgeries to remove them. I’m currently recovering now from the 2nd one.
So far I haven’t gotten any fertility treatments because of the surgeries. But I was told the cost if my insurance don’t approve me for IVF.

1 IVF, Donor Eggs
The process of drawing blood can be uncomfortable, but the staff at Columbia were friendly and compassionate.... The process of drawing blood can be uncomfortable, but the staff at Columbia were friendly and compassionate.... Columbia provides many opportunities to communicate with your own doctor.... The administrative staff is also great, particularly Sofia. She has a passion for her work
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
IVF is a very stressful process, especially when we are using extensive hormones, which could easily make our feeling and emotions swing and tiny little bit of discomfort occurred to us could trigger a big drama. Having gone through numerous consultations and IVF treatments over the past 4 years, The Center For Women's at Columbia University Medical Center has worked best for me. Columbia provides many opportunities to communicate with your own doctor. Most of the time, it’s your own doctor provides the ultrasound, so you know the status. Dr. Rudick impressed me early on as being both intelligent and attentive. She is very thorough and very quick to get what’s on my mind. She made me feel positive and gave me confidence. The process of drawing blood can be uncomfortable, but the staff at Columbia were friendly and compassionate. I love Arula. She made my day when she successfully drew the blood in one shot from my hard-to find vein. Jenny is very patient. Patrice is always smiling and sometimes she does it herself, despite being the lead nurse who assigns tasks. Pam, the most senior staffer, gave us very detailed training. I deeply appreciate advice to avoid google searches, and not to make any guesses. I believe most of us like to read, analyze and formulate questions; Pam pointed out that operating from assumptions won’t do us any good. She encouraged us to directly ask the doctor. The administrative staff is also great, particularly Sofia. She has a passion for her work, despite being relatively new. She takes everything seriously and is focused on the tasks at hand. Without her help, I won’t be so fortunate. The last item I want to mention is the billing department; they made difficult issues very simple. I am able to match their bills with my insurance EOB’s. If I came across any discrepancies, Miriam provided a detailed explanation and an immediate fix. This is in sharp contrast to prior experiences, in which the bills were tough to decipher and help was not consistent.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Pam)
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick impressed me early on as being both intelligent and attentive. She is very thorough and very quick to get what’s on my mind. She made me feel positive and gave me confidence. I also appreciate her attention to detail and willingness to discuss matters openly.
Open your mind, be positive and don't hold anything back.

3 IUI, 4 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Strengths [at : There is hardly a line when checking in, I never have to wait more than 10 minutes for a bloodwork. And they are all friendly. Weaknesses: The clinic can use a little update especially the bathrooms...They were all very nice and they seem to know what they were all doing. They also know your name. They give you privacy. They confirm your name and birthdate. I would say it has gotten better.
3 IUI, 4 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths: There is hardly a line when checking in, I never have to wait more than 10 minutes for a bloodwork. And they are all friendly. Weaknesses: The clinic can use a little update especially the bathrooms.
Dr. Forman made me feel that I was important and not just another patient. He followed up with me through email, and whenever I had a question, he would respond right away. He was there for me throughout the process.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
I am so proud to have him as my Doctor. I was about to give up on CWRC after several failed procedures. But I gave them another chance and met with Dr. Eric Forman. I told him how I felt about CWRC. He assured me that things were going to change. He spoke with confidence. He took his time to explain everything. And I really wanted to try having another baby and so I gave him a try. And then, our journey began, 4 months later, I was pregnant! Dr. Forman made sure that I had all the medications I needed. He kept in touch with me through email and I was shocked that he responded so quickly. I had so many questions and he answered all of them. He was patient with me. He's just an amazing Doctor, not because I became pregnant, but because I didn't feel like just another patient. I didn't feel like I was passed down from one doctor to another. He is absolutely wonderful!
I would tell a prospective patient to tell Dr Forman everything like what works for you and what doesn't. He listens. Example: if you can't get to a scheduled appointment, let him know and he will make it work. Also to ask questions even if it doesn't makes sense, he will explain everything.
This time around, by evaluating my previous procedures, Dr. Forman saw that I could take higher dosage but almost the same medication. The only different medication I've received from Dr. Forman is the the pregesterone. Instead of the normal pills, I was given pregesterone in sesame oil. I was also seeing Dr. Forman almost every week during the process and made sure that my bloodwork is all good. I was basically monitored closely which I think helped in the whole process to see how my body is reacting to the treatment.
I had insurance that covered everything except for Freezing of the embryos.
Columbia University

If it is at all possible for you to get to the Scarsdale location [of Columbia University], I highly recommend it. I went out of my way to come to this location because the one in Manhattan is such a zoo.You will still have to go to the Manhattan location for procedures like IUI, egg retrieval, and embryo transfer. For those procedures you never know which Dr you’re going to get...Chrissy and Angela are both wonderful nurses. They are both extremely knowledgeable and personable.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
CWRC definitely had a factory feel because they treat such a high volume of patients, but it’s my understanding that all NYC clinics are like this. I had over 30 appointments at the Manhattan location. This location was very hit or miss in terms of the service received. Sometimes I only waited for 10 minutes for an appointment, and the staff was pleasant, other times there were long waits and the staff was curt and rushed. My worst experience was when I waited for 3 hours for my first embryo transfer, which was really difficult. This whole process is so emotionally fraught and my anxiety built with each hour that passed. But the worst part was how it was dealt with - my partner kept checking in with the receptionist, and he continued to assure her that we would be seen in “5 minutes,” which clearly wasn’t happening. When it became clear that she was getting upset he had the Dr on call come out and talk to us. When we complained that we’d been waiting for 3 hours, she replied “yeah, well I’ve been working for more than 3 hours.” It was just an obnoxious comment that was totally unnecessary. After that experience is when we switched to Dr McConell. The staff at her Scarsdale office are all wonderful, pleasant, helpful, and knowledgeable.
I began seeing Dr McConnell after a negative experience with another Dr in the practice. I had just undergone 4 unsuccessful IUIs and it was time to move on to IVF. During our IVF consultation Dr McConnell was very informative as well as warm and took her time answering all of our questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Chrissy)
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
CWRC is a large clinic and serves tons of patients at their Manhattan location. Dr McConnell works part of the week there, and spends the other days running the Scarsdale location.If it is at all possible for you to get to the Scarsdale location, I highly recommend it. I went out of my way to come to this location because the one in Manhattan is such a zoo. You will still have to go to the Manhattan location for procedures like IUI, egg retrieval, and embryo transfer. For those procedures you never know which Dr you’re going to get. But all of my morning monitoring was done by Dr. McConnell. She was always upbeat and personable and I never felt rushed, like I did woh other Drs in the practice.
Come with a list of questions.
I did 2 IVF cycles with Dr McConnell. Both times I used injectables (Gonal F and Cetrotide) to prepare for the egg retrieval. For the first cycle I did a fresh embryo transfer using 2 5-day blastocysts. When this cycle was unsuccessful, Dr McConnell had a follow up appointment with my partner and I to recommend PGS testing for the next cycle. We had 4 embryos tested and 2 were deemed chromosomally normal. I transferred one which resulted in my current pregnancy, and the other is still frozen for a future transfer.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Columbia University.
Monitoring is done between 7 and 9, and at the Manhattan location there was often a wait. The Scarsdale location had Mich less wait time.
I spent about 20k total out of pocket, because my 4 IUI treatments were not covered at all under insurance. My IVF treatments were mostly covered. However, I needed to have a certain number of failed IUIs before the insurance deemed IVF necessary.
Columbia University

After being upset that I had to sit a cycle out for my MMR booster I was frustrated when they didn't seem to have the vaccination record my doctor sent over. The front desk said it's best to just bring the hard copy so it can go right into the file because if it's faxed who know what happens to it. I was definitely confused about the climid prescription being sent to my pharmacy. When I hadn't heard anything a few hours after my appointment I assumed they forgot. After calling and talking to a nurse she explained that they had to wait for my blood test results before they could send it. Before my IUI no one mentioned that it's preferable to have a full bladder. So assuming it was like all the ultrasounds I made sure to empty my bladder before my appointment. When you want everything to be as optimal as possible that was annoying.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The doctors are one of their strengths. The medical assistants and blood work assistants are a weakness. The front desk staff is pretty friendly, empathetic and helpful although some more than others. One thing I've realized is they have a lot of patients and a lot of people that have done this before but I have to remind them this is my first time with a fertility treatment plan and to explain things a little more. At the initial consultation a nurse explained all the tests I needed to get and she assigned me to a financial counselor. The financial counselor is great- she gets things sent to my insurance for approval right away which I appreciate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nataki Douglas at Columbia University?
Dr. Douglas is easy to talk to and explains things in great detail. She understands that we have busy lives and wanted to make treatment as easy as possible for us. She seems both "real" and empathetic in her interactions.
I'm a little unsure of the difference between the nursing staff vs. the medical assistants/phlebotomists. I'm fairly confident I've only come in contact with 3 actual nurses. They were all very nice. The medical assistants and phlebotomists are pretty terrible. The call the first name and last initial for you to do blood work. I thought the woman was calling my name so I said are you saying "first last" and she just kept repeating what she was saying and not answering my question. Once we got back there she said "we only say the first name and last name initial" which is totally fine but answer when i tell you my full name. Also, my rubella immunity came back low. I got the booster (and had to sit that cycle out). Two months later they call me back and ask me if I got it. I told them the date I received the booster and said I thought the record should be in my file but could have the doctor's office resend it. Then they went back and forth about whether they needed to draw my blood to test for it again. They were basically asking me if they should. I told them "I got the booster so if I'm not immune at this point there is nothing I can do and I'll have to take my chances. But if you need the blood test for me to continue with my treatment plan then do it." It just felt like they had no idea what was going on. I feel like when you go in you have to already know what should be happening or you might get extra blood drawn or unnecessary ultrasounds. If insurance wasn't covering my treatment I would be really concerned about the confusion if I was the one paying for all these tests.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
How was your experience with Nataki Douglas at Columbia University?
I only saw Nataki Douglas at my consultation and the appointment after all tests were complete to go over a treatment plan. I thoroughly enjoyed both these appointments. She took time to explain test results, treatment options, potential risks and it never felt rushed. She is very caring and her conversation didn't feel too stiff or clinical.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nataki Douglas at Columbia University?
Obviously the doctors can't work 7 days a week for morning monitoring so don't expect her to be there for all your appointments.
Describe the protocols Nataki Douglas used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
After trying for a little over a year we decided to seek answers. Due to female cycle irregularity and male low morphology Dr. Douglas suggested clomid with better timed intercourse at home or we could go straight to IUI. Due to the low morphology and the fact that we do have insurance coverage for IUI we decided to do that. I started with 50mg of clomid on cycle days 3-7 with an IUI the day following LH surge.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nataki Douglas at Columbia University.
I think the initial consultation was $550 if not covered by insurance. They were very up front about that. Our insurance covers all treatment associate with IUI but won't for IVF if we get to that point. I would definitely work more closely with the financial counselor if we were paying for treatment to make sure I was getting what I needed for treatment and no additional blood draws or ultrasounds.
Nataki Douglas
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Nataki Douglas at Columbia University.

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Other, Unexplained
The experience [at Columbia U] was a nightmare, and my treatment was unsuccessful.... I could barely get a callback, and the clinical staff don't use email. Even though the clinic claimed to have a lot of experience with same-sex couples, they often had to make up the process along the way. Because they didn't have updated consent forms for same-sex couples, we had to solicit external legal council and advocate for changes to the forms in order to protect of our parental rights. The lead social worker was also highly unprofessional and shared obvious details about the identity of famous patients.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The experience was a nightmare, and my treatment was unsuccessful. The set protocols made everything easier for the clinic/doctors but weren't successful for me and often left me with negative side effects for several extra days before my procedures. I could barely get a callback, and the clinical staff don't use email. Even though the clinic claimed to have a lot of experience with same-sex couples, they often had to make up the process along the way. Because they didn't have updated consent forms for same-sex couples, we had to solicit external legal council and advocate for changes to the forms in order to protect of our parental rights. The lead social worker was also highly unprofessional and shared obvious details about the identity of famous patients.
After each failed cycle, Dr. McConnell just recommended the same protocol without additional testing. I'm not sure if it's Dr. McConnell's preference or the clinic's, but she doesn't individualize or alter a protocol even when it fails or the patient has an adverse reaction. The oral estrace that they use for FET cycles made me very sick, but she refused to let me do another FET protocol or consider one of the many alternatives forms of estrogen.
The only slight positive was that the support staff including the nurses were very kind. That said, I was frequently given misinformation and strange instructions by the nurses, who seemed overwhelmed and unorganized. One told me to avoid yoga/light exercise even before my frozen transfer because it would bounce my uterus!
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
I had a horrible experience with Dr. McConnell. She regularly failed to explain procedures or recommendations and lied to me. Dr. McConnell said that one couldn't stop birth control pills mid-pack--apparently, it was easier to lie than share her reason for wanting me to continue the medication. She also made an error during an exam and said my uterus was retroverted; it's not and she had done ultrasounds on me previously. Most significantly, I went through with a surgery that Dr. McConnell recommended for me, and unfortunately she failed to mention that it could have a significant negative impact on my ovarian reserve. She also did not help get me an appointment with a surgeon.
Go elsewhere if possible. Otherwise, advocate heavily for yourself: push for answers, follow up repeatedly, and make sure you stay on top of every detail of your care.
unsuccessful medicated FETs with the same standard protocol each time (estrace, antagonist, progesterone suppositories, low dose medrol before transfer)
They tried to have us pay out of pocket rather than use our insurance benefits. Luckily, insurance covered treatment. However, they routinely tried to bill me for covered procedures or at higher prices than I was told in advance. Sorting it out was almost impossible.
We went into the process knowing that we wanted eSET, so there wasn't much if any discussion about it with Dr. McConnell.

4 IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Prescription calls to pharmacy took days to be called in. We had to follow up with the nurses [at Columbia U] repeatedly to close out the process. Took nurses days to call back...Monitoring started at 7 am. I had to get there by 630AM to be the first few patients in line. I have literally run to the front door of the building to rush to be the first few in line. Consequence of not being the first 1 to 3 is waiting untill 745 am to be seen by the doctor...Michael worked the front desk and was always friendly, kind and efficient
East Asian, South Asian
4 IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Not suitable for someone who needs treatment that extends beyond their standard protocol e.g. estrogen priming in my case
She did not ask about my goals or manage my expectations. I was told we would get pregnant quickly and without any issue. Even after the first failed embryo transfer did not take, she did not discuss any possible changes to our protocol. I distinctively remember that in our follow up appointment to discuss our failed transfer, she sat back cross her fingers and asked "what can i do for you?" That question struck me as uncaring and cold. All she suggested was to follow the same protocol and transfer the next embryo. We did as we were told for the next 2 embryos (makes 3 total transfers) using the same protocol and received the same negative results each transfer.
I can remember only 2 individuals who were our lifelines during our treatment there. 1) Michael worked the front desk and was always friendly, kind and efficient. 2) Erica was a blood tech there and is now at Sher NY. She was always friendly and efficient - uplifting and important qualities to help patients navigate this stressful time.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Communication skills are poor. Next steps were spoken about in broad strokes. She dictated the next steps without asking for my input and paid little attention when we provided input/shared concerns. It always took a very long time for her to get back to us (by phone) - we resorted to carrying the phones with us into bathrooms etc. so as not to miss her calls. There are far better and faster ways to communicate today e.g. email
Do not expect any compassion or customized treatment. This is not a doctor I would recommend unless you know (and who does?) you only need to go through this once to be successful and you have no need for customized treatment/protocol.
Results of my STIM cycles were very poor - I had very few follicles to work with. I requested adjustments to my treatment protocol to improve my chances e.g. estrogen priming but was told a flat no because I don't ovulate regularly and wouldn't fit into one of their standard protocols (I actually went on to have success with priming at another clinic). On another occasion, I was stimmed with a dominant follicle which ultimately resulted in a cancelled cycle. In summary, I was encouraged to keep repeating the same standard protocol even though the monitoring sessions revealed low follicle count and in some cases a clear dominant follicle.
Monitoring started at 7 am. I had to get there by 630AM to be the first few patients in line. I have literally run to the front door of the building to rush to be the first few in line. Consequence of not being the first 1 to 3 is waiting untill 745 am to be seen by the doctor. After seeing the doctor for monitoring, it could take another 20 mins to meet with the nurse. That means spending 1.5 hours for a 3 minute monitoring appointment is my best case scenario.
Columbia University

When I decided to leave Columbia and get treated elsewhere. It took almost a month to get my chart transferred. It is very hard to speak with someone besides a receptionist. When you ask to speak with Billing or Records dept for example, you're transferred basically to a voicemail 99% of the time. For the records requests, the request is done via email and you do not receive any confirmation that the request was received. After numerous phone calls my records were finally sent.... but incomplete. Took another 2 phone calls to rectify. You have to insist to speak with someone, otherwise you just keep getting pushed to voicemail. Next issue is billing. Please see details below. For a clinic where I did not even stay to do treatment, I couldn't believe the issues that I had.
At my first appointment, Dr. Rackow was more than 2 hours late. She apparently had an emergency at the hospital. I understand OB emergencies happen and as a health care provider myself, I know it happens. What I don't understand is the front desk staff, they knew she was running late when I checked in but never said anything. It was only when I overheard the front desk telling other patients to either wait or reschedule that I went up to the front desk myself to inquire, since I had waited nearly an hour by now. At this point they told me that I actually hadn't been waiting that long because they allow 45 minutes of the new patient appointment for us to fill out paperwork. I'd never heard of this and I've never needed 45 minutes to fill out new patient paperwork. They then basically said I could come back another day or reschedule. Dr. Rackow's schedule is not very frequent and I had already canceled my patients for the day to see her so I opted to wait, I got lunch at Whole Foods and then came back to the appointment. The entire time the front desk seemed to not care and never bothered to inform me that she was going to be in late. I stayed to Columbia against my better judgement (I also trained there so I guess I felt some sense of loyalty), but after the cattle-call morning monitoring visits where I without fail would have to wait nearly an hour and a last minute appointment cancellation by Dr. Rackow, I left the clinic after finishing the infertility/RPL workup. I could not even get a follow up to discuss the results because Dr. Rackow is just never there. I had it with Dr. Nataki Douglas. I made the appointment for first thing in the morning to minimize wait time. At 20 minutes past my appointment time, I saw Dr. Douglas and some staff roll in the office with coffee and doughnuts, apparently they had gone out to get coffee and no one seemed to care that there were patients on the schedule. That really solidified it for me. Since I was paying fully out of pocket, I felt I couldn't do treatment at Columbia because it just seemed like no one cared at the office. To me, fertility treatment is quite individualized and when I finally saw Dr. Douglas, I could tell she just read my chart right before the appointment and offered standard treatment options without taking my medical history into consideration.
How was your experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
I don't know if Dr. Rackow is really familiar with many of her patients' cases/treatment progress. She was seldom available and I only managed to see her once. Again, I feel that fertility treatment protocols are quite individualized and it is very hard for me, as a patient, to just see whomever is available that day and you can tell they just literally just flipped through your chart moments prior and are now going to decide the course of your treatment. It might be okay with some people, but since I was paying fully out of pocket I was not going to take that gamble.
My insurance only covered up through diagnostic testing. I left after the diagnostic testing. Did not start treatment at Columbia. Little did I know I would be haunted by billing issues for another 9 months. PLEASE CHECK YOUR BILLING STATEMENTS!! I will highlight 2 issues: 1.) On my first visit with Dr. Rackow, as you see from above, was delayed greatly, and Dr. Rackow spent approximately 30 minutes with me going over my medical history and then suggested some lab tests. I was then shuttled off to speak with a nurse who went over when I was supposed to come in for baseline bloodwork, since I was an IVF newbie. Imagine my surprise when I then got a bill from Columbia for $404 for a 60-minute office visit with Dr. Rackow. They billed under code 99205, look it up if you're curious but I guarantee you the criteria under which the clinic was allowed to bill under that code did NOT happen at my visit. Obviously I did not "clock in" or "clock out" the visit but honestly the least amount of time I spent at that office was the actual appointment with Dr. Rackow. When I called the office to inquire, the billing department said they would speak with her and get back to me. They actually did call me back, only to tell me that Dr. Rackow said she had spent a significant amount of time that I was definitely there for an hour. I'm not even sure if Dr. Rackow remembered me as a patient and I thought it was pretty impressive that she remembered how long she spent with me. The ironic thing is when I had another new patient consult with my current RE at another clinic, I was bracing myself for another $400 visit. My new RE saw me on time, ACTUALLY spent over an hour for the visit, and the office only billed my for a 45 minute visit, which was only $118 out of pocket for me. 2.) I was double billed by Columbia for lab tests. Columbia did the blood collection but the analysis gets sent to another lab, typically Enzo Labs. There was a lag by Enzo labs for some genetic tests since they had to verify some things with my insurance so I got the lab bill from Enzo almost 9 months (yea....) after the date of service. I cross referenced it with the bill from Columbia for the same date of service, which came shortly after the office visit to draw blood (sending out bills is one thing they are not slow about), and noticed that Columbia had billed for the blood collection, as well as for the analysis of 3 hormones, under the same code as Enzo Labs, who actually did the analysis. I could not believe I had to call Columbia... again. I thought I was done with them. Spoke with Sara in billing, who told me that she would call me back in a couple of days to let me know what the credit owed to me was. I never got a call back, and when I called after a week Sara no longer worked there! They then transferred to me Sofia Papaderos, the financial services manager, who actually was pretty good about emailing me back at first. However, I found it strange that the manager could not give me a timeline of when or how the credit would be processed (apparently the credit needs several approval signatures prior to issuance of a refund check, again, something you would expect the manager to know about). She then proceeded to tell me that an amended claim needed to be filed with the insurance prior to me getting the refund, but Columbia never sent this amended claim, and again, her exact words were "Not sure on the time frame unfortunately". Then I stopped hearing back from her all together! After over a month of back and forth, I finally somehow just received a refund check in the mail, without needing this so-called amended claim.
Columbia University

I would receive a call back only 80% of the time from the nurse [at Columbia University]. In one instance, I called 5 times over the course of 3 days pleading with them to call me back as my prescription hadn't been called in correctly. I never received any reply...They input my information incorrectly, telling the Genetic company that I was Native American. I am Caucasian. This skewed the test results. Columbia did not notice this - in fact it took me several weeks to notice the mistake on the results page. A nurse forgot to call in a prescription for me and no one ever called me back to fix it. The billing department was impossible to get a hold of. For 2 of my IUIs, they failed to get the pre-authorization that I needed from my insurance company until I called several times. In one instance, it was not until the day before my IUI that they successfully called my insurance company.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I have no issues with a clinic that is a cattle call. I understand that a cattle call isn't always a bad thing - it can show that the clinic is organized and efficient in how they see patients. This is not the case with Columbia. The waiting room is extremely uncomfortable and outdated. The chairs are lined up to face a television set that blasts HGTV very loudly every single day. I visited the clinic at all hours of the day and this was also the case. The exam rooms are extremely outdated and felt dirty to me. The walls were covered in marks and desperately needed fresh paint. The sterilizing machines would be left on and beeping non-stop for 10+ minutes at a time until someone would finally come in and turn it off. They do not have many lab techs to take blood work. I would estimate 3 techs at a time. The doctor's do not review your chart or paper before entering your exam room. I had several ask me why I was there today and one incorrectly said, "you're here for X today, right" - which was 100% incorrect.
I saw Dr. McConnell during my consultation. She seemed friendly and was very positive about us succeeding. She indicated that the tests that my GYN ran were thorough and that our only issue was morphology (male factor). She believed we could easily get pregnant using IUI with no drugs. We were obviously excited to hear this and immediately signed up. Unfortunately, we never saw Dr. McConnell again - EVER. We did 3 IUIs at the clinic and never once saw OUR doctor after the consultation. This is shocking to me as I had A LOT of visits over the course of 3 IUIs. I felt like a number and not a human.
The nurse telephone line goes directly to voicemail. That is fine. The problem is, their voicemail numbers don't match the correct nurses with their corresponding doctors. I mentioned this several times and was met with deaf ears. Also, I would receive a call back only 80% of the time from the nurse. In one instance, I called 5 times over the course of 3 days pleading with them to call me back as my prescription hadn't been called in correctly. I never received any reply. I'm still waiting for that call back (haha!)
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Dr. McConnell seemed like a warm person and she was positive about the treatment she was prescribing for me. However, she was not proactive. After having 2 failed IUIs with no drugs, I had to call the clinic myself and ask whether I could start taking clomid. I never heard back from her after my failed IUIs or after my request to start taking clomid. The nurse called me back and said OK. How is that acceptable behavior for a doctor? After 3 IUIs failed, I simply never called the clinic again and Dr. McConnell never reached out to me. I can't adequately review her personally as a doctor as I only saw her once during my consultation.
Don't expect to have easy access to this doctor or even her nurses.
My husband had low morphology (1%). That was our only known issue. Dr. McConnell did not believe morphology would impact our success and she strongly suggested we try natural IUI (no drugs at all). We did 2 failed natural IUI cycles before I grew frustrated and called the nurse asking to be allowed to do an IUI w/ clomid cycle. The nurse said OK. I never heard back from Dr. McConnell so I don't even know what her rationale was for saying OK.
My insurance company paid for IUIs and visits associated with it as part of my coverage. I needed pre-authorization before each IUI.
Columbia University

The wait time, very often, is excruciating. 4 hours for iui in not unusual. You are treated like a number. Noone will tell you why or how, they just draw your blood, or take you for a sonogram, however they will not explain what they see (on a sonogram screen). The billing department will NOT response to your calls. I paid the balance every time I was there and somehow they still managed to send some bills to "collection" even though I never got a bill for it. A year later there are some amounts disputed: after calling multiple time for an explanation or bills it is still unresolved. You cannot just talk to the billing department. You may only leave a message.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The visits were very rushed. Any questions I had Dr. Rackow explained fully, however she did not volunteer to give me any information by herself. I learned more about my procedures from the internet than from my own doctor. It takes a month to schedule an appointment (which doesn't last more than 10 minutes) because she is in the office only once a week for half the day. You cannot contact your doctor with questions. Instead, you need to call the office and talk to the nurse. If you have a question for the doctor then the nurse takes the question and it is supposed to be answered in 24 to 48 hours. However when I left a message with the nurse - my call was never returned. If you need immediate response then I think there is a fee for that. Doctor never followed up on the results. Dr. Rackow"prescribed" 3 cycles and then asked me to return for "follow up" visit which also took less than 10 minutes where she suggested I do another 3 cycles without changing the protocol.
Nurses and staff do what they are supposed to but without explaining why. Waiting time on average was 2 to 3 hours. But sometimes 4 hours. For one nurse it took 10 minutes to draw blood. She was not schooled at assembling the equipment so she wasted 6 needles before she got it right. I don't believe she had a proper schooling. Other nurses were just ok.
How was your experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
I think I spend more time reviewing Dr. Racow than she spend on my case. When I had a follow up appointment she was searching through her computer data for the information about my case as she was unprepared. Most of the visit she was staring at the computer instead of giving us advises or talking about our case. After unsuccessful treatments she wanted us to continue with the same treatment without adjusting anything. Getting questions answered while in a cycle was challenging. There was no email or phone for Dr. Rackow. I left only one message but it was not returned. It felt like you have no one to turn with your questions.
Have as many questions ready as possible. Write them down and go through them. Don't get rushed answers as satisfactory.
Describe the protocols Beth Rackow used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Treatment strategies: 50mm clomid, iui, check for pregnancy. result: negative
$4,600 per IUI cycle
Describe Beth Rackow's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.

6 Eggs Frozen
The only real weakness [at Columbia Fertility] is that for the check-ins with the bloodwork/ultrasounds you are not likely to see your physician, which isn't preferable as I would have liked my physician to be the one doing the ultrasound check-ins...The monitoring timeframe was always set very early in the morning, which was convenient given my work schedule...Dr. Guarnaccia is a straight-shooter and will not beat around the bush. If you're looking for someone to sugarcoat it, he's not the one. He is diligent and will ask questions of you--and welcomes questions from you as well.
6 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The only real weakness is that for the check-ins with the bloodwork/ultrasounds you are not likely to see your physician, which isn't preferable as I would have liked my physician to be the one doing the ultrasound check-ins.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Dr. Guarnaccia is an excellent, thoughtful and sensitive physician. When I started my first cycle for the egg freezing, when I came in on day 6 for my first ultrasound with the doctor on call to see whether the follicles were maturing, the results were negative - and I was instructed by that doctor to stop the fertility shots. I was in tears and Dr. Guarnaccia so happened to be in the office that Saturday, and purposely went out of his way to find me to calm me down and explain that we are not robots--we are human beings and one regimen of shots that works for one patient does not necessarily work for another. He strongly urged me not to give up and encouraged me to do another cycle for the egg freezing and advised that we would do a different regiment of shots. I appreciated his feedback and ultimately agreed, and while that cycle did not get as many eggs as hoped, we did get through the whole cycle and froze six eggs. I was advised to do another cycle to maximize the number of eggs but my finances (and well-being) decided against it for the time being.
Very friendly and dedicated, hard workers.
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University.
Everything involving egg freezing.

Other, Unexplained
Even though the clinic [Columbia U] claimed to have a lot of experience with same-sex couples, they often had to made up the process along the way. Because they didn't have updated consent forms for same-sex couples, we had to pay for a lawyer and advocate for changes to the forms in order to protect of our parental rights. It was a nightmare, and my treatment was unsuccessful...I could barely get a callback, and the clinical staff don't use email. EThe lead social worker was also highly unprofessional and shared obvious details about the identity of famous patients.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It was a nightmare, and my treatment was unsuccessful. The set protocols made everything easier for the clinic/doctors but weren't successful for me and often left me with negative side effects for several extra days before my procedures. I could barely get a callback, and the clinical staff don't use email. Even though the clinic claimed to have a lot of experience with same-sex couples, they often had to made up the process along the way. Because they didn't have updated consent forms for same-sex couples, we had to pay for a lawyer and advocate for changes to the forms in order to protect of our parental rights. The lead social worker was also highly unprofessional and shared obvious details about the identity of famous patients.
The support staff including the nurses were really nice but overworked and unorganized. I was frequently given misinformation and strange instructions by the nurses. One told me to avoid yoga/light exercise even before my frozen transfer because it would bounce my uterus!
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
failed medicated FETs with the same standard protocol each cycle (estrace, antagonist, progesterone suppositories, low dose medrol before transfer)
We went into the process knowing that we only wanted eSET, so there wasn't really a conversation.
Columbia University

Terribly long wait times [at Columbia U - Manhattan], difficulty getting in and out for even just a blood draw. Very difficult to get in touch with doctor by phone, even after days of calling and leaving messages. Didn't like seeing a different doctor every time...Some [nurses] were more informative, friendly and patient than others but all were relatively warm...
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Terribly long wait times, difficulty getting in and out for even just a blood draw. Very difficult to get in touch with doctor by phone, even after days of calling and leaving messages. Didn't like seeing a different doctor every time
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
Things began okay- he was warm, informative, and thorough during the initial consult. Unfortunately, as time went on it was clear that he did not remember who I was no matter how many times I called or returned for an appointment. On one occasion he forgot something he had advised and we had discussed directly regarding my course of treatment and on another occasion I discovered (from his nurse) that he had forgotten to tell me about an additional test I needed which nearly interfered with my next planned IUI. He was never rude or impatient but my impression over time was that he couldnt keep track of all his patients and just went with a "one size fits all" type of approach.
Some were more informative, friendly and patient than others but all were relatively warm
How was your experience with Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
He was kind, intelligent, and informative- particularly at the initial consult. However, as time went by I found it more and more difficult as I rarely saw him when at the clinic and had an extremely difficult time reaching him by phone and he never seemed to remember who I was or the details of my case/treatment. On one occasion he forgot to include his DEA number on my prescription causing me to waste extra time as I had to return to the clinic to get a new prescription. And ultimately I felt he just followed a "one size fits all" approach. I lost my first pregnancy (due to a chromosomal abnormality) which was the result of my second natural cycle IUI (no medication). Despite this, Dr. Zimmermann strongly advised that I take Clomid for any subsequent IUIs. I followed his advice once however, the Clomid caused significant discomfort and did not result in a pregnancy. I then got a second opinion from another reproductive endocrinologist who indicated that would not have been his recommendation due to some adverse effects of Clomid and due to the fact that I had already gotten pregnant with a natural cycle, had no known documented fertility problems and good ovarian reserve. Against Dr. Zimmermann's advice, I decided to go back to a natural cycle (no Clomid) on my next try which resulted in a healthy pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
You probably have to stay on top of him by calling or going in constantly otherwise things may get missed.
Describe the protocols Ralf Zimmermann used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Advised Clomid after a miscarriage even though I had no documented fertility problems and had gotten pregnant on my second natural cycle of IUI because he said that at my age (39) it would improve my chances.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University.
Most were covered by my health insurance
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University.

1. You will never see the same doctor twice [at Columbia]. Make sure your comfortable with that. 2. You will be told the worst case scenario. It might make you panic. However, I'm glad I was prepared for the worst. 3. The front desk people are the most helpful people around. They know everything and they are really willing to work with your schedule to get you in.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
1. You will never see the same doctor twice. Make sure your comfortable with that. 2. You will be told the worst case scenario. It might make you panic. However, I'm glad I was prepared for the worst. 3. The front desk people are the most helpful people around. They know everything and they are really willing to work with your schedule to get you in.
She spoke to me pleasantly for sure, not condescendingly. However, I felt like she wasn't really paying attention to my own personal history. For example, she said something several times about my endometriosis and... I don't have that! At all! I had to keep correcting her because she had read some letter wrong. I could have been mistreated because of that.
They were all kind. They seemed knowledgeable and understanding.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
I really only saw her twice I think. The first visit was the initial intake. As previously mentioned, she seemed to briefly scan my paperwork and misinterpreted a letter. I had to keep correcting her. She was nice and all but she also didn't really care to diagnose me properly since "whatever it is, we'll be treating it the same way".
Assert yourself. If it seems like she's missing info don't be afraid to speak up. She won't get annoyed.
I was lucky. I only had to go through one cycle of IUI. She said I had unexplained infertility and there was no particular reason I wasn't getting pregnant. She said because of that it would just be best to stimulate more egg production with clomid. I started clomid on cycle day 3, I went in for daily ultrasounds to check on the egg development. I had 2 good ones developing. At mid cycle I was told to check an ovulation stick daily and once I saw the surge to come in the next morning for my IUI. If it didn't happen by Thursday, I was to use an injection to stimulate ovulation. Luckily, the surge hit Wednesday night and I did not need to inject. (I really hated that because they don't work on weekends, I would have had to buy an expensive drug and inject it). I went in with my husband for my IUI, after they told me to lay down for 5 minutes. I had read that laying down for 15 minutes produced better results... so I stuck around for 15 anyway.
I had a 1k deductible for my insurance. I already met that for 2014 before I even showed up at the center. Everything was covered in full by my insurance. My actual IUI cycle in 2015 cost around $450- I only know since it was January and it the first thing to hit my deductible. The sperm was handled separately and I think it was around $100.
Columbia University

[Columbia's] Strengths - they are not as expensive, accept more insurances (this wasnt an issue for us but we have heard this from others) Weaknesses - they are a research institution with zero incentives or motivation to get high success rates with SART. And this will show in every aspect of their operation - from the doctor's knowledge of personal history, to the way billing works to the time it takes for them to return a phone call even for pressing issues (BTW, they dont know the concept of email based communication).
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Not once did she know the history of our records. The last consult was the last straw for us. She had absolutely no idea about our history and spent the entire time searching for her records on her computer in fits and starts, and ended up spending hardly any time discussing our case history or customizing a plan for us.
Its a faceless factory, so there isnt a concept of a specific nurse you work with.
How was your experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
Another cog in the CWRC machine with zero personal knowledge of our case or any real motivation to pull off a successful pregnancy. To give an idea for how bad it was - here is our last visit's description (at which time we decided we are never setting foot again in CWRC) - we had completed 6 IUI cycles by then, with no adjustments made to our medication or plan (we constantly got only one follicle with each clomid cycle) - We setup time with her to figure out if we should move on to IUI. - She spent a good 15 minutes telling us curtly that we should have caught a billing/insurance screw-up that had happened with a blood test earlier in the day (nurse made a mistake with some code, we didn't catch it). - She then proceeded to spend another 10 minutes searching cluelessly through our records and complaining that someone had not organized the records properly. - when we asked for her opinion on whether we should do ICSI and whether we should do PGS with our IVF cycle and she point blank refused to answer, saying it was a decision we should make (we only asked for her expert opinion) - the consult ended at that and we didnt step foot in CWRC after.
Avoid CWRC at all costs. The only reason you go there, and i repeat, the only reason you go to CWRC is if your financial situation requires it (they are not as expensive and accept more insurance plans). If you do have to go to CWRC, avoid Dr. Rackow at all costs. She also btw, only visits CWRC in mid-town once a week for half a day - which means getting time with her for a consult is next to impossible.
Did 6 IUI cycles with Dr. Rackow and was on clomid (though they switched to a different one for a few cycles because of vision side effects). Always got only one mature follicle - never more than one - but she made no changes to the plan.
We didnt have any problems with billing

8 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
[Columbia] Operated like a factory due to the number of patients in the waiting room at any given time. But it was necessary to maintain a constant flow of moving patients . They only called u by ur first name to maintain privacy . There was never a long wait from when u were called to when the dr arrived. I do think they need to change the billing window procedure. There’s not enough privacy
8 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
As Columbia has a massive fertility dept and I saw several drs during the year and a half of IUI and IVF attemps, dr rudck always treated me as if I were her only patient. She remembered my personal situation everytime I saw her she never sugar coated anything but was never doubtful or negative either. When I conceived at 43 after one IVF treatment she told me to play the lottery! That was the only time she expressed that the odds had been against me
Fast knowledgeable warm caring encouraging
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
See previous comment. She is direct, stays neutral, is forthcoming, fresh, progressive, supportive, takes her time and talks to you, feels like a friend, routes for you. She recommend that I deliver ya NYC Langone due to my location and because they are an educational hospital
Don’t expect a dr thatsugar coats the facts. She gets to the point but with a softness because she is compassionate. She has children and with that comes empathy for the desire to want a baby. She made me feel comfortable, laugh, and stay excited
My insurance covered up to 30k in fertirky treatments and 10k per lifetime if IVF meds . My out of pocket for 8 IUIs and 1 IVF was about $13k. I did use donor Sperm so a portion of that was for receiving storage and thawing
Describe Briana Rudick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
I had 9 eggs retrieved 7 survived by day 5 only one healthy embryo was viable
Columbia University
While Dr. McConnell was sometimes in a good mood I also found her to be moody and sometimes curt to me when I asked questions at consultation appointments. After my first round of IVF i had 6 mature eggs and only 2 fertilized and they transferred one day 6 embryo. I did not become pregnant and Dr. McConnell was prepared to do the same treatment all over again. Instead, she should've suggested ICSI and a day 3 transfer (which Columbia apparently does not do). Overall, I did not feel that Dr. McConnell gave my treatment a lot of personal attention.
I was not happy with their responsiveness. If i had a question about my treatment it would take 2-3 days to get a call back, and sometimes I never got a call back. They also did not communicate clear instructions with IUI and it was very stressful.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
I was not happy overall with Dr. McConell or Columbia U. There were several steps we had to go through in order to do IVF, and we were not told about all of the steps up front and so it took longer to begin IVF treatment which was stressful. There was a long wait in order to enroll in the IVF class. It turned out my estrogen priming would begin around the time of the start date of my IVF class and when I asked Dr. McConnell for instructions she refused to give them to me and suggested that I wait another month to start. While Dr. McConnell was sometimes in a good mood I also found her to be moody and sometimes curt to me when I asked questions at consultation appointments.
estrogen priming & aggressive protocol (450 gonal f with 150 menopur) - it did work for me in that i was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve and i had 6 mature eggs. however, it did not result in a pregnancy.
there was usually a long wait; the wait was shorter in the westchester office
Columbia University

It is very efficient and it is clear it works, but it does give off a Factory feeling [at Comumbia U - Manhattan]. You go from one place to another and everything is very routine. If you are new you may feel a bit lost and confused until you figure out how the system works. For example you sign in and walk to billing first and then you have to wait to be paged into the section you are scheduled for...
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It is very efficient and it is clear it works, but it does give off a Factory feeling. You go from one place to another and everything is very routine. If you are new you may feel a bit lost and confused until you figure out how the system works. For example you sign in and walk to billing first and then you have to wait to be paged into the section you are scheduled for.
He was very honest and open about what needed to be done. As an SMC he made me feel accepted and did not judge based on my circumstances or age.
Although I saw different nurses, I felt That they all were efficient and communicated well what was expected. Many of them were friendly and would remember their patients.
How was your experience with Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
He was very experienced and took the time to explain the next steps and answer questions. He was not judgmental and very encouraging. Whenever I left a message he responded in a timely matter. Although he didn't perform my procedures he did make sure to walk me through every step and process before it occurred.
I would say that although the clinic is big and it seems like a factory being run, Dr. Zimmerman will be there to help you if you reach out.
He first did a blood test and discovered I had Beta Thalasemia trait. That helped me to pick a sperm donor that did not have that. I also had to do an HSG to make sure the Fallopian tubes were clear. I also had blood tests and ultrasounds to track and time ovulation. Finally I did the iui. After I became pregnant, he continued to monitor my hcg with bloodwork and had an ultrasound at 6 weeks before he released me.
My insurance covered most of it. However, the iui was around $800 and then I had to pay $50 to intake the sperm that I ordered.

2012 - 2013
After going to other RE's I can honestly say that I have never been to such a terrible doctors office [Columbia]. It felt more like a factory or meat market then a doctors office. I was treated as a number and received a pager that would beep with instructions when it was my turn to pay or see the doctor. It is the same kind of pager that they had at my local fast food restaurant. No one bothered to learn my name and there was very little follow through on the part of the doctors. I saw a different doctor each time I came and they were not familiar with my case. Most of the time it took them multiple days to get back to me and the nurses were the only ones to call even when a specific request was placed to speak directly with Dr. Sauer. Other than my first consultation I never spoke or heard from Dr. Sauer until I complained and told them that I was leaving to another RE. I only stayed
2012 - 2013
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Sauer at Columbia University?
Other than my first office visit I never saw Dr. Sauer. I saw a different doctor at each visit each of whom were cold and made no effort to connect on a human level. When entering the office I would sign in and receive a blue pager identical to the kind I get at my local fast food restaurant. At the fast food restaurant I don't need them to learn my name but at my doctors office I expected them to take enough interest in at least momentary learning my name during the time that they are treating me. It made the whole experience feel like a factory or meet market.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
How was your experience with Mark Sauer at Columbia University?
After going to other RE's I can honestly say that I have never been to such a terrible doctors office. It felt more like a factory or meat market then a doctors office. I was treated as a number and received a pager that would beep with instructions when it was my turn to pay or see the doctor. It is the same kind of pager that they had at my local fast food restaurant. No one bothered to learn my name and there was very little follow through on the part of the doctors. I saw a different doctor each time I came and they were not familiar with my case. Most of the time it took them multiple days to get back to me and the nurses were the only ones to call even when a specific request was placed to speak directly with Dr. Sauer. Other than my first consultation I never spoke or heard from Dr. Sauer until I complained and told them that I was leaving to another RE. I only stayed with them for 3 cycles 1 medicated colmid and two clomid IUIs. After my first clomid IUI cycle I expressed concern to the doctor I saw at morning monitoring about my heightened side effects that I was experiencing. She brushed me off and asked if I wanted to have a baby or not. And there was no follow through or attempt to switch my medication to other stimulants.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Sauer at Columbia University?
I recommend that each patient is on top of their treatment plan and asks many questions before undergoing treatment to ensure it is the most appropriate plan.
Describe the protocols Mark Sauer used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
The treatment plan was 6 clomid IUIs before looking to change the protocol because that they said was standard practice. I was not treated as an individual I was treated as someone who was infertile the same way it appears others were being treated.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Sauer at Columbia University.
The cost was $500 to speak with the Doctor and $5000 for IUI.
Mark Sauer
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mark Sauer at Columbia University.

2013
Columbia is a factory and is not well run. Their excuse is that they take so much insurance but other clinics that take insurance do a much better job from an administrative standpoint (I found out from experience)....The nurses were not helpful or nice. Total factory. You could wait on hold forever just to leave a message for someone to maybe call you back. The nurses are only available until 4 or 4.30 pm.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Columbia is a total factory and it not well run. The nurses are terrible and it is very difficult to get through to anyone. Dr. Rudick was not careful in treatment and was very imprecise in her explanations.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick was simply not a good doctor and she was terrible at explaining issues. After the first round of bloodtests I had, she left me a voice mail telling me it would be hard for me to get pregnant. She later denied saying that on the message, and said I had not understood her, but I listened to the message several times and it is what she said. It may not have been what she meant, but that does not help on a voice mail, especially when you cannot reach her easily with follow up questions. Second, her treatment was not good. When I went to another doctor for a second opinion, I found out she had missed several things in my chart. The second doctor picked up on several results from Ruduck's chart and made changes in my treatment, which got results. Dr. Rudick had the same information but didn't use it. Dr. Rudick was was pregnant when I saw her but she never said anything. It wasn't obvions when I started seeing her but she walked into one appointment clearly showing and I was floored. I felt it was very insensitive of her not to say anything about her pregnancy earlier (or at all). When I asked her when she was due she refused to tell me.
Go elsewhere.
I don't remember this information well enough.
It was covered by insurance for us.

2012 - 2013
Some [nurses] were very kind and caring, some were quiet and a little cold. They were all competent... She's a nice woman, she [Dr. McConnell] explains things well, she is never abrupt or rude. But she obviously sees a lot of patients and I doubt she'd know my name if she didn't look down at the chart.
2012 - 2013
I think she was down the middle on this. She's a nice woman, she explains things well, she is never abrupt or rude. But she obviously sees a lot of patients and I doubt she'd know my name if she didn't look down at the chart. She's very calm and I think that can come across as disinterested. I did feel like she listened to me and I feel like she always answered my questions well.
It really depended on the nurse! Some were very kind and caring, some were quiet and a little cold. They were all competant.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
She is a nice woman and a smart doctor. I appreciated that her first reaction was not to send us right into IVF. If she had said "I think you need IVF" we would have listened to her, but she felt we should try IUI first and it was the right course of treatment for us. After my miscarriages, she made sure I got all of the appropriate testing to make sure everything was okay. That being said, she's not the warmest person in the world, so if you need a doctor who will hug you, she's not it. She does listen. She does answer questions. I never felt talked down to.
The same advice I would give to anyone who needs infertility treatment: educate yourself and advocate for yourself. Dr. McConnell is smart, I did a lot of research and I never asked her a question where I wasn't satisfied with her answer. She is nice and I did feel like she cared about getting me pregnant, but she's not a super enthusiastic or warm person, so if you need someone like that, I would try a different doctor. In the end, we trusted her guidance on our treatment, and I'm glad we did.
I had four cycles of IUI. She originally recommended that we only do 3 before IVF. I took 100mg of Clomid for days 2-6, with regular monitoring and then insemination after either a positive OPK or ovidrel shot. The first cycle was a biochemical pregnancy. Second cycle was negative. Third cycle resulted in a pregnancy that was ultimately not viable (no fetal heartbeat), followed by a D&C (performed by a different doctor). Fourth cycle resulted in my son. We met with her after the miscarriage and she recommended that we continue with IUI because they were clearly working in getting me pregnant, we just needed a viable pregnancy. She also ordered recurrent pregnancy loss blood tests at that time, all came back normal.
My insurance covered all of my testing and IUIs and D&C, minus co-pays. That's one of the benefits of CWRC - they took a lot of insurance.

8 IUI, IVF
They screwed up constantly, particularly when it came to prescriptions and drug ordering. They cost us several thousand dollars out of pocket unnecessarily.
8 IUI, IVF
She's very nice. However 1.) every failure resulted in being presented statistical charts, not problem solving 2.) after being shown said charts, we were asked what we wanted to do next. We expected expertise and assertive care.
How was your experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
We did 2 IVFs and several IUIs with Dr. Rackow. One IVF was a complete failure, the other resulted in two frozen embryos that are still at CWRC. Shortly after leaving Dr. Rackow and CWRC, we successfully conceived. The issue with CWRC is that they don't test for everything, and don't communicate what they don't test for. In fact, the issues that were inhibiting our fertility were easily solvable, but during our time with Dr. Rackow and the CWRC, every failure was addressed with statistical charts (eg. You are at "X" age, therefore your IVF success % is "Y"). We were told they had tested for everything. They hadn't. We wasted three years and tens of thousands of dollars at this practice. Ultimately, CWRC are proceduralists.. They are not diagnosticians. When we returned to CWRC after having our child, we recapped the ultimate diagnosis of our fertility challenge and the response we got (from a different doctor there) was simply "We don't test for that". Well, thanks for telling us you had tested for everything.
If you get a diagnosis, great. If you get a shoulder shrug and are reminded of the statistical charts, leave. Also... Look at the fertility success statistics at Cornell and NYU (neither of which we went to for our success). They are superior.

4 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
This clinic [Columbia University] does provide good treatment plans and care - that I feel like align well with other clinics I visited. However, it was SO manufactured. Did not feel personal at all and completely lacked any sort of human touch. I did feel confident in the quality of my care overall, but going through an emotional process with very little apparent empathy was tough....The office was like a factory. Dr. Lobo didn't actually perform any of my procedures, and on my 4th IUI, the doctor said, "This must be your first IUI - you seem nervous" Clearly he hadn't read my file. It was clear that they were trying to cycle people through as quickly as possible and I didn't trust that I would have success when the people performing my procedures weren't even familiar with my record.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
This clinic does provide good treatment plans and care - that I feel like align well with other clinics I visited. However, it was SO manufactured. Did not feel personal at all and completely lacked any sort of human touch. I did feel confident in the quality of my care overall, but going through an emotional process with very little apparent empathy was tough.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University?
Again, this whole clinic felt like a factory. People were nice enough but I might as well have been a cardboard cut-out. Nothing felt personal at all.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
How was your experience with Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University?
Dr. Lobo was very knowledgeable and matter-of-fact. He told me what he recommended and set a plan in motion, and was kind but I did feel like I was one in about a million patients. My individual success didn't seem super important. Or the emotional aspect of fertility treatments.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University?
If you want good sound advice but don't care as much about a personal connection with your RE, Dr.Lobo will be great for you. Some people prefer to keep things all business and are more analytical in their approach - in this case, Dr. Lobo would be a great fit. Come as prepared as possible to your consultation - have questions ready to go, and do some research in advance.
Describe the protocols Rogerio Lobo used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
As someone with unexplained infertility, Dr. Lobo recommended 3 IUI's before moving on to IVF, but suggested that success rate with IUI would be relatively low. Since I responded well to medicated cycles, we went that route instead of injectibles. I ultimately ended up doing 4 IUI's - 2 with Clomid, 1 with Femara, and one natural because I ended up with a cyst from the Clomid. None were successful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University.
I believe that I paid approximately $300/ea. for 4 IUI's. I did have partial insurance coverage.
Describe Rogerio Lobo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Rogerio Lobo
2011
The hours and processes at CWRC [Columbia Fertility] are ideal to accommodate women who need early appointments before work. Location is convenient and the scheduling and billing staff is knowledgeable and efficient. One of the unfortunate side effects is that it felt like a factory at times with little concern for the patients as people as opposed to potential statistics. Most doctors we encountered in our almost 2 years as patients at CWRC were lovely and genuine.
2011
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The hours and processes at CWRC are ideal to accommodate women who need early appointments before work. Location is convenient and the scheduling and billing staff is knowledgable and efficient. One of the unfortunate side effects is that it felt like a factory at times with little concern for the patients as people as opposed to potential statistics. Most doctors we encountered in our almost 2 years as patients at CWRC were lovely and genuine. On the other side of the coin were doctors like Dr. Guarnaccia, who was cavalier, did not take into consideration our thoughts on treatment and made us feel like he was doing us a favor. The Center lacked a human touch, but ultimately we would have done virtually anything to conceive. We gave up after emotionally exhausting rounds of fertility drugs, IUIs and IVF and conceived naturally 12 months later. The CWRC would be well served to make the process less stressful for patients by injecting a dose of compassion.
He Explained his assessment of our infertility issues with his feet up on the desk and an iced coffee in his hand. He was cavalier and generally did not seem to care beyond the center's statistics.
Efficiency.
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Dr. Guarnaccia was more concerned with maintaining the center's statistics then relating to us as human beings. He was cavalier and made light of what was a very serious issue to us. He made us feel as if he were doing us a favor gracing us with his presence. We were matched with him by the Center because we were diagnosed with secondary infertility and the person scheduling appointments at that time said she thought that he would be a good match. He barely looked us in the eye when he spoke with us. We tried to see other doctors in the practice as much as possible because we really did not think Dr. Guarnaccia had our best interests in mind when recommending treatment options - but was rather just concerned with stats of the Center.
He has the type of personality where he thinks he is god's gift to those around him. Don't expect any genuine warmth or caring.
Describe the protocols Michael Guarnaccia used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
It was routine. Fertility drugs, IUI then IVF. Not personalized but rather their standard protocol.
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University.

The clinic [Columbia] is very big and they see lots of people on a daily basis. The front desk ladies are so friendly and really help you to feel comfortable when you arrive. Their appt always run in time and work very efficiently. Everyone in general is super friendly and helpful.... He [Dr. Forman] is really thorough, knowledgeable and really great at what he does. He is not the most personable Dr I have met, but that is not an issue for us.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is very big and they see lots of people on a daily basis. The front desk ladies are so friendly and really help you to feel comfortable when you arrive. Their appt always run in time and work very efficiently. Everyone in general is super friendly and helpful.
He listened to all our concerns and questions and gave us all our options and made us feel taken care of. He is available practically 24/7 to answer any questions or concerns as well.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
He is really thorough, knowledgeable and really great at what he does. He is not the most personable Dr I have met, but that is not an issue for us. I do wish he was the one to have performed more of my Check-ups and procedures or at least informed us he would not be doing them.
Ask any question that comes to mind, he is open to listen and will answer any concern you might have.
I have just just finished my first IUI cycle. I started Clomid for 5 days (medium dose) on the 3rd day of my cycle. I would have weekly ultrasounds/ bloodwork to confirm my follicles were growing properly and not too many. Then once 1-2 were large enough, I gave myself the Ovidrell shit at home. Then in 2 days I was in office for the insemination. Then a week after bloodwork for progesterone levels and then the following week for pregnancy test.
Columbia University

Dr. Stahl's office [at Columbia University] is part of a large group of medical offices in midtown West. Unfortunately, the waiting room and front desk people handle many different types of doctors and therefore navigating appointments wasn't always pleasant. Busy/crowded waiting rooms, angry people at the front desk, long waits, etc.... Everything was covered by insurance, so the expense was very reasonable for all of the testing and the surgery.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Dr. Stahl's office is part of a large group of medical offices in midtown West. Unfortunately, the waiting room and front desk people handle many different types of doctors and therefore navigating appointments wasn't always pleasant. Busy/crowded waiting rooms, angry people at the front desk, long waits, etc.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Stahl at Columbia University?
Dr. Stahl performed his duties with respect.
They were kind and respectful.
How was your experience with Peter Stahl at Columbia University?
Dr. Stahl is a young, well-educated, energetic and straightforward doctor. It was awkward having to see a Urologist, but he completed his tests and surgery with the most respect possible. I didn't enjoy having to be poked and prodded, but it was well worth it with the potential end result of increased sperm quality.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Stahl at Columbia University?
Don't worry about the awkwardness of seeing a Urologist, it is well worth the uncomfortableness to possibly have improved chances of conceiving naturally.
Describe the protocols Peter Stahl used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Dr. Stahl completed a number of medical tests to determine the extent of my male factor infertility. Once all of these test were complete, he took a look at the results holistically and was able to offer a surgical option to potentially remedy all of my issues. The surgery was just completed, successfully, and am now in the waiting period to see if it increased my sperm quality.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Stahl at Columbia University.
Describe Peter Stahl's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
As Dr. Stahl is a Urologist, this is not relevant.
Peter Stahl
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Peter Stahl at Columbia University.

The nursing staff [Columbia University] is excellent. My nurse, Karen, always calls promptly with my results and answers any questions I have.... The clinic has been great so far. I have no other fertility clinic experiences to compare t to, but it far exceeds my experiences with other doctors offices. They are friendly, responsive, and prompt.... I have my copay at each visit and the rest gets billed to insurance. So far, I have not seen a bill except from the labs.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
Dr Brady has been patient with my questions and has made herself available to myself and my partner whenever we have questions or concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Karen )
The nursing staff is excellent. My nurse, Karen, always calls promptly with my results and answers any questions I have.
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
She is very knowledgeable and compassionate. She hears my concerns and makes me feel comfortable by explaining the plan and why she has chosen that specific plan for my partner and me. Though we haven’t see. Her for many cycles, she has proven that she is invested in our future pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paula Brady at Columbia University?
I would advise to trust her but at the same time, not be afraid to ask questions. She can be short because she is confident and knows what she’s doing, but you may require further explanation and details. She has never made me feel that my questions are too much.
Describe the protocols Paula Brady used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
She diagnosed me with PCOS and the analyzed my husband to ensure there were no male factors. There weren’t so we are proceeding with treating my PCOS. She started me on a low dose of letrezole to get me to ovulate and the first cycle went as planned but did not result in a pregnancy. We are now trying again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paula Brady at Columbia University.
Describe Paula Brady's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
This is not applicable to me
Paula Brady
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University.

4 IUI, IVF
Other, Unexplained
They are open really early and accommodating for blood tests and ultrasounds with no real delays which is incredibly valuable given the number of times you have to go for monitoring especially if you are working full time. ... Columbia University was recently rebranded and they moved to a beautiful penthouse office! Its a relaxing environment and convenient location!
4 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Columbia University was recently rebranded and they moved to a beautiful penthouse office! Its a relaxing environment and convenient location! They are open really early and accommodating for blood tests and ultrasounds with no real delays which is incredibly valuable given the number of times you have to go for monitoring especially if you are working full time.
Dr Forman is amazing. He treats you like he would to family or a good friend. He's very knowledgeable, kind and easy to trust never once making me feel like I was one in a thousand patients. He's always there when you need him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: I had a lot of different nurses, Gertrude my care coordinator was constant and amazing! Aruna was amazing at blood tests (It never hurt!) Erica, Katrina, Tiffany, Christine were a strong support system)
Fertility treatment is highly complex so it was great to have all the support!
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Fertility treatment is tough. It requires a lot of discipline, patience, courage and trust. Dr. Forman is a smart, kind, compassionate and committed doctor you can count on which is absolutely priceless and what helps you keep going until you get the result you are looking for. He is quiet and unassuming but goes above and beyond what you can ever expect. We absolutely loved going through this crazy journey with him!
Fertility treatment is a highly complex topic and Dr. Forman knows a lot and is always there to answer questions so ask anything you feel uncertain about! He is on your side.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
The doctors and their knowledge are this clinic's [Columbia University] strengths. Communication is it's weakness. CWRC is the opposite of the standard IVF mill, so there is more specified patient care. However, it can result is a haphazardness that effects treatment options...I was assigned a Primary Nurse and a care coordinator. I was contacted most often by a different nurse. The entire staff is fine. They are not at all coordinated, which has made follow through more difficult.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The doctors and their knowledge are this clinic's strengths. Communication is it's weakness. CWRC is the opposite of the standard IVF mill, so there is more specified patient care. However, it can result is a haphazardness that effects treatment options.
Dr. Williams took the time to listen to my concerns and learn about my specific case. He discussed in depth with me the treatment option that would work best for me and my partner, and was available to speak, usually within a day, if I requested.
How was your experience with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
Dr. Williams is careful and compassionate, and took time and care to tailor a treatment plan. He was available to talk when requested, and was able to explain all options to help us make decisions. he also addressed possible causes of my partners infertility as well as mine.
Be persistent.
For both cycles, Dr. Williams used oral medication instead of injectable medication because my body did not respond particularly well to the injectables, and there were other indicators that oral medications may be more successful. The first cycle resulted in three eggs in one embryo that arrested. The second cycle was not completed due to poor results.
$5,000 for partial IVF cycle

Male Factor, Other
I know they are trying to fix part of the clinic [Columbia]. I was fine with the clinic. The people were friendly the clinic was clean. I wish there was more space but overall it was decent. I like that morning monitoring goes quickly so I can be in and out.... Due to my specific issues we have had to undergo, IVF early on instead of IUI, she has also required ICSI because there are concerns about the sperm. During my IVF cycle my progesterone spiked early and instead of risking losing the embryos she changed my IVF cycle from a fresh cycle to a freeze all. Her rational was that my body could potentially be out of sync and if we attempted to put one of my two embryos in we run a high risk of it not taking.
Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I know they are trying to fix part of the clinic. I was fine with the clinic. The people were friendly the clinic was clean. I wish there was more space but overall it was decent. I like that morning monitoring goes quickly so I can be in and out.
She is very understanding of my very particularity situation. She has always been available when I needed to talk to her. I feel like when she explains things to me she is actually talking to me not just spiting out information. She shows that she really cares about helping me get pregnant.
I was very happy they were able to give me the information I needed and when they were unsure they were able to get an answer from my doctor fairly quickly.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
I am very happy with her. She has been very informative and has been great to adapt my cycle when we needed to. I feel very confident that she will be the one to help me get pregnant. I'm very glad she is my doctor. I feel comfortable with her.
Be open about your situation, through out my treatment since she knows my specific situation she has been careful about certain things that she knows I am worried about. She has tailored my treatment because of this situation.
Due to my specific issues we have had to undergo, IVF early on instead of IUI, she has also required ICSI because there are concerns about the sperm. During my IVF cycle my progesterone spiked early and instead of risking losing the embryos she changed my IVF cycle from a fresh cycle to a freeze all. Her rational was that my body could potentially be out of sync and if we attempted to put one of my two embryos in we run a high risk of it not taking. So we froze all my embryos. I have under went one FET that did not work out and I will be undergoing a second FET soon.
My IVF cycle was $14,200 with anesthetist and ICSI all self pay. My insurance does not cover IVF. My FET was $4,250.
With me and my situation we both agreed that a eSET was appropriate.
Columbia University

This is a very very busy practice (Columbia) but all the staff is top notch. Nurses are compassionate, very organized and always got back to me within the promised timeframe.... if you need a lot of coddling and warm hugs you may feel a bit disappointed. However, this is a clinic that has very good success rates including difficult cases, advanced maternal age etc. They do not just treat the easier patients that bring up the ratings. The physicians of the staff are very smart, experienced, knowledgeable, courteous.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
This is a very very busy practice and if you need a lot of coddling and warm hugs you may feel a bit disappointed. However, this is a clinic that has very good success rates including difficult cases, advanced maternal age etc. They do not just treat the easier patients that bring up the ratings. The physicians of the staff are very smart, experienced, knowledgeable, courteous. And mostly they DO care about you. As with everything in life, really making the effort to build positive relationships, not antagonizing the staff for silly reasons etc. will take you a long way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janet Choi at Columbia University?
Dr. Choi is very compassionate and has a wonderful way to keep the patient informed
This is a very very busy practice but all the staff is top notch. Nurses are compassionate, very organized and always got back to me within the promised timeframe.
How was your experience with Janet Choi at Columbia University?
Dr. Choi is amazing. Her medical knowledge is very in-depth and current. Her demeanor, despite the pressure of her stressful days, always pleasant. I was her patient for several years and I always felt well cared for, listened to and kept informed. No ball dropped ever. She was always aware of every detail of my current cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janet Choi at Columbia University?
Saying that Dr. Choi is amazing is simply reductive. Trust her wholeheartedly, she is the best guide you can hope for given the circumstances. She is the rare medical professional that offers in-depth theoretical knowledge, unmatched practical experience honed through years of work at extremely busy practices and a deeply empathetic nature.
Describe the protocols Janet Choi used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
I was a patient for a few years (unexplained infertility) and we did many different cycles - from IUI Ss to IVFs with ICSI. I don't remember all the details. What I can say is that Dr. Choi is always careful to tweak the protocols to personalize treatments.
Describe Janet Choi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Janet Choi at Columbia University.

Jenn [nurse at RMA of New Jersey] is wonderful to work with. She was so quick via phone and email and was completely on top of my care. She would tell me she was going to call and remind me for certain things (like stop birth control pre treatment) and she always called for the reminder. She is very compassionate and professional.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Jenn Dwyer)
Jenn is wonderful to work with. She was so quick via phone and email and was completely on top of my care. She would tell me she was going to call and remind me for certain things (like stop birth control pre treatment) and she always called for the reminder. She is very compassionate and professional.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
I cannot say enough how lucky I feel to have found Dr Forman. We switched clinics (adding 1-2 hours to our commute) because I had read such great reviwes of Dr Forman and our high expectations were completely exceeded. Dr Forman was extremely accessible - I emailed and called him frequently with long lists of questions and he always responded thoroughly and extremely quickly. I have never before had a dr who will email directly with a patient, and Dr Forman did so regularly. My husband and I felt very confident for the first time in our journey to be parents that we had a doctor who cared about us and was giving our case very individualized care. He recommended testing that a previous doctor had not and discovered new aspects for our care. I cannot recommend Dr Forman enough - not only was I MUCH more calm during this IVF process with him than I was at our previous clinic due to his communication and patience, but we also had success with him and are currently (very early on) pregnant!
Columbia University

Strengths [of Columbia U] are the lower cost versus other clinics, and that they take insurance to cover most aspects of the procedure. They also offer a first time cycle discount which luckily for us made it more affordable....Biggest weakness is the difficulty communicating with the office at times....There was some confusion over what the process was for us to acquire the medications we needed thru our insurance....There generally was a long wait, but they have now shifted to an appointment based system.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths are the lower cost versus other clinics, and that they take insurance to cover most aspects of the procedure. They also offer a first time cycle discount which luckily for us made it more affordable. The available statistics for their success is a little bit worse than other clinics in NYC, but its hard to tell if thats because they are less selective about who they will treat. Biggest weakness is the difficulty communicating with the office at times.
While it can be tough at times to get thru to the staff there, Dr Zimmerman always made himself available and was responsive to our needs.
It's very difficult to reach them via the phone, and when you do and ask a question, its hard to get a response. In person I found the staff to always be professional and competent.
How was your experience with Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
The bottom line for me is ultimately results, and we had a successful IVF pregnancy in one cycle. We're into the third trimester and knock on wood everything has gone very well. We always felt like Dr Zimmerman was highly competent, and have nothing but positive things to say about him as a doctor.
Be patient and understand that the clinic itself is a little over worked and you will be frustrated by some things.
Our case didn't really involve too much starter.
Columbia University

It's like you're just a number [at Columbia U - Manhattan]. They're churning people through. If you need your records you need to call and talk to a receptionist and then beg them to help you get in touch with the person who's responsible. It feels very frustrating to use this clinic. I saw several frustrated patients...They would call with results and give vague messages and never respond to follow up calls and emails. They wouldn't send my chart to my new doctor until I hounded several people in the office...
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It's like you're just a number. They're churning people through. If you need your records you need to call and talk to a receptionist and then beg them to help you get in touch with the person who's responsible. It feels very frustrating to use this clinic. I saw several frustrated patients.
The office was a nightmare to deal with. They didn't answer questions, I had to call over and over again to get basic questions answered, they wouldn't send my records without being hounded. I saw people show up at the office just to ask questions because they couldn't get responses.
Disorganized. They didn't respond to frantic emails and calls for information I needed to order sperm. The nurse assigned to me simply never responded. I had to hound other nurses to get the information I needed. I didn't even know fully what all tests I had to do until I cornered someone.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
The doctor seemed fine, but I didn't see her much during the fertility testing phase. She wasn't really that involved in my care, but I thought she was clear and confident in my conversations with her.
You have to hound the clinic to get any information or responses to questions. Ask all questions when you're there.
She was mainly doing fertility testing. I changed doctors before the IUI cycle.
It was very vague and I had to hound them to understand the costs. In the end, everything was covered.
Columbia University

From the moment you walk in it [Columbia University's fertility clinic] looks and feels like a factory. With each visit you don't know who will be your doctor and when Dr G was the doctor he treated me like he had never seen me before....During my 1st IUI i was told by the nurse to wait on the 4th floor for my husband to finish. When I got to the 4th floor, a nurse yelled at me and told me I couldn't be down there. She argued with me when I tried to tell her that the nurse told me to wait there. She ended up being my nurse for that IUI. The waiting room plays HgTv on a loop, its always packed and the bathroom looks dirty and never had soap!
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
From the moment you walk in it looks and feels like a factory. With each visit you don't know who will be your doctor and when Dr G was the doctor he treated me like he had never seen me before.
Again I was there sometimes twice a week. The nursing staff isn't large. I was constantly telling them how to pronounce my name and I really don't want to see yawns and food on scrubs while i'm having my blood drawn.
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
He comes off as very arrogant and aloof. When asking me questions about past experiences he scoffed at what I had tried to do to get pregnant like he was a miracle worker.
Don't go to Columbia. Period!
IUI with Clomid 50mg and a trigger shot (Ovidrel 250mg). That was done twice and after the 2nd unsuccessful IUI i never heard a word from Columbia. No one told me how bad I would feel during and after taking Clomid. I thought I was losing my mind.
i think my total cost was $1800

2013 - 2014
The Center For Women's Reproductive Care [Columbia U] had convenient hours. While it was a first come first serve system, you were able to get to the center early in hopes of getting in and out in a timely manner. The staff was wonderful. Depending on the day, wait time to get in for your appointment could vary....The nursing staff were kind, reassuring, and kept us in the loop. They were supportive and positive.... Dr. Thornton was calm, funny, and had an easy-going nature.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The Center For Women's Reproductive Care had convenient hours. While it was a first come first serve system, you were able to get to the center early in hopes of getting in and out in a timely manner. The staff was wonderful. Depending on the day, wait time to get in for your appointment could vary.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melvin Thornton at Columbia University?
Dr. Thornton was calm, funny, and had an easy-going nature. My husband and I felt comfortable with him. He was compassionate and understanding.
How was your experience with Melvin Thornton at Columbia University?
Dr. Thornton was knowledgeable, calm, compassionate, patient, and flexible. My husband and I felt like we were under so much pressure (as I know so many couples do) and this certainly aided in our struggles. One month we couldn't go through with IUI and Dr. Thornton sat down with us and calmly talked us, through. On the month that we conceived, due to pressure, our sample wasn't strong and Dr. Thornton was flexible and allowed us to come in the next day for a back to back IUI. That cycle we conceived our son.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melvin Thornton at Columbia University?
Do not be scared to ask questions. He is quite patient, understanding and down to Earth.
Describe the protocols Melvin Thornton used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Our infertility was unexplained at the time. I was placed on Clomid and we did Clomid and IUI. We conceived on our 3rd IUI cycle (4 IUI in total).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melvin Thornton at Columbia University.
I just had to pay copays.
Describe Melvin Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Melvin Thornton
West Harrison

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Melvin Thornton at Columbia University.

2013 - 2014
After my second ivf that failed, it took a long time to receive a phone call from my doctor [at Columbia University]. This was highly upsetting to me and I felt like I was not a priority...There were a lot of people every time. They were not flexible with my work schedule and I could only come at specified hours in the morning. This was not convenient for my job as a teacher and I had to take off a lot of time.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It is a factory so be prepared to be treated like a number. However, you get a lot of different eyes on your case, which I think is very positive. I also picked every doctor’s brain that I saw. Since you see so many different doctors, I could get a lot of good information.
Very warm demeanor. Very knowledgeable as well.
The nurses were all wonderful except for one that was very rude (and very pregnant, which was salt in the wound). The majority are lovely though.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Dr. McConnell has a great vibe. Calm and collected, she always took her time with us and answered all questions without rushing us. She has a great sense of humor as well. I was very happy with my treatment as we got our son from our first ivf. However, we ran into sole trouble for the second round, and in hindsight I wished that we had some things a little differently. I felt that she was willing to listen to me but just wanted to do the same dose over and over again.
Maybe push her to give you more options then what’s originally presented.
Antagonist ivf protocol with 5 day blast FET with PGS testing.
It was covered by insurance except for icsi and PGS testing. And co-pays for monitoring.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She [Dr. Janet Choi at Columbia University] worked with us to decide how many embryos to transfer. We all agreed on 2 each cycle... The front desk staff was very nice and the location of the office was convenient. The lobby could have used some redecorating but no other issues...Some [nurses] were less compassionate than others...She [Dr. Janet Choi] sent us for an immunological workup on a hunch and it was due to the addition of those treatments that we had successful pregnancies.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
We chose Columbia because they took our insurance. Our previous Dr recommended Dr Choi. The front desk staff was very nice and the location of the office was convenient. The lobby could have used some redecorating but no other issues.
She really took an interest in our case and went over and beyond to help us conceive. She listened to our concerns and offered some out of the box solutions.
Some were less compassionate than others.
How was your experience with Janet Choi at Columbia University?
Dr Choi was very compassionate with us and encouraged us to continue with treatments when we were in doubt. She sent us for an immunological workup on a hunch and it was due to the addition of those treatments that we had successful pregnancies. I always felt that I could trust her and that she had our best interests at heart. She made us fell like she would fight her hardest to make sure we had a baby.
Trust her. Ask lots of questions and be curious as to what she may be thinking. She can come up with some great ideas!
Dr Choi recommended starting off with IVF w/ PGS due to recurrent miscarriages. We had done 3 IUIs with another clinic and she was sure that we needed to move on to IVF. I can't remember the exact protocols, but know that she adjusted the meds for all three IVF cycles based on my reactions. She also referred us to a reproductive immunologist after the 2nd IVFw/PGS failed, on a hunch that there may be something there. She was right and our third IVFw/PGS was a success.
She worked with us to decide how many embryos to transfer. We all agreed on 2 each cycle.

2013
Upon checking at the center [at Columbia], I was given a buzzer like the kind you get when you are waiting for a table at a restaurant. Then I would get buzzed to billing, buzzed to bloodwork, buzzed to ultrasound, etc. I saw a different doctor ever time I went for monitoring. They generally stayed for 2-3 minutes before moving on, even setting a timer in some cases. I felt rushed to ask any questions before they left.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It felt like a factory. Please see previous comment about the buzzers and seeing different doctors every time. Perhaps that belonged here instead.
I did not feel that I received personalized care from any of the doctors I saw at Columbia. Upon checking at the center, I was given a buzzer like the kind you get when you are waiting for a table at a restaurant. Then I would get buzzed to billing, buzzed to bloodwork, buzzed to ultrasound, etc. I saw a different doctor ever time I went for monitoring. They generally stayed for 2-3 minutes before moving on, even setting a timer in some cases. I felt rushed to ask any questions before they left. We had 2 failed clinics/IUI cycles with Dr. Choi. I spoke with her after one of them. I was very upset and anxious about our fertility journey in general. She was rather cold and basically told me not to get so upset when the chances of an IUI cycle failing were rather low anyway.
How was your experience with Janet Choi at Columbia University?
Dr. Choi made very basic recommendations for my case and did not conduct a particularly thorough analysis of my fertility situation from the beginning. For example, she never raised the possibility of endometriosis or blood clotting issues, two conditions my next doctor diagnosed very early on.
We did 2 clomid/IUI cycles before moving on to another doctor. We were ready to try IVF and did not feel comfortable doing it at Columbia or with Dr. Choi.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janet Choi at Columbia University.
I don't remember and I still had insurance coverage at that point.

2005 - 2011
5 IUI, 9 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The billing [at Columbia U] was chronically a mess. The whole situation is sad and frustrating but compared to other clinics, it is cheerful and efficient. The embryologists are good. The doctors are kind....It [monitoring appts] was as pleasant as it possibly could be. You weren't there forever. It was at these monitoring appointments that I discovered that the intrauterine ultrasounds did not have to hurt....[nurses] were busy but they always knew your name and what was happening with you.
2005 - 2011
5 IUI, 9 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The billing was chronically a mess. The whole situation is sad and frustrating but compared to other clinics, it is cheerful and efficient. The embryologists are good. The doctors are kind. They helped me become a mommy
They talked to me. I was a person - not a uterus. There were choices to be made and my opinion was solicited. Words that echo in my ears to this day "We can do a lot with technology but after the transfer, which embryo will become a person is left up to G-d."
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: I know I had a care coordinator)
They were busy but they always knew your name and what was happening with you.
How was your experience with Mark Sauer at Columbia University?
He was honest and forthright. I had seen other doctors before and his manner was much softer and gentler. As the leader of the practice, he set the tone. There was no "wall of shame" to look at. There was no cattle herding. There were no awful voicemails left. People talked to you gently and with respect.
He is VERY smart. He has seen a lot and done a lot. Ask questions and you will be answered.
Lupron - Stim - HCG shot - Retrieval. That is all I remember... my children are 10 now so this was 11 or 12 years ago.
It was as pleasant as it possibly could be. You weren't there forever. It was at these monitoring appointments that I discovered that the intrauterine ultrasounds did not have to hurt.
It was totally covered by insurance
Describe Mark Sauer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
The normal protocol was to transfer up to 2 day 5 blasts. I had two good looking ones (undifferentiated cells) and one not so good looking one. He knew this was my last cycle and asked about the 3rd one. Since I had been trying for 9 years with no success, I said sure put it in - you couldn't freeze just one so there was no point. I have triplets.
Mark Sauer

14 Eggs Frozen
The clinic [Columbia University] is new and beautiful. It runs pretty well and I usually did not have to wait long for testing. The staff are friendly and helpful. Their blood drawing is the best! I felt comfortable throughout everything ... My nurse met with me a few times to sign paperwork and show me how to use the medications. Dr Brady’s staff always got back to me right away when I needed something.
14 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is new and beautiful. It runs pretty well and I usually did not have to wait long for testing. The staff are friendly and helpful. Their blood drawing is the best! I felt comfortable throughout everything, and confident with Dr Brady’s care.
Dr Brady explained egg freezing clearly, and related it to my personal situation and medical issues. Her staff knew me too and was always very responsive to my needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University.
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
Dr Brady made me feel comfortable, and took time to answer all my questions. She made a plan specific to me, and talked me through what to expect, and answered my emails quickly, as did her nurse. She took time to update me during testing visits when I saw her.
Egg freezing, with adjustments to doses and adding an additional medication before starting, after what she saw in my first cycle.
Covered by insurance/my job
Paula Brady
Columbia University

The financial coordinator [at Columbia University] is incredibly frustrating. I’m consistently chasing her or the insurance company to get the approvals we need - which falls under her responsibility. Beyond that - I love it. Beautiful, clean, new offices. Prime location. Staff is great...We had a scheduling snafu with a sample that should have been frozen instead of tested. Generally the nursing staff is so caring and reassuring, knowledgeable and prompt. I was amazed how fast I received a call back after hours!
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The financial coordinator is incredibly frustrating. I’m consistently chasing her or the insurance company to get the approvals we need - which falls under her responsibility. Beyond that - I love it. Beautiful, clean, new offices. Prime location. Staff is great.
Dr. Forman is incredibly thorough. He takes the time to explain every process every step of the way. He also is quick to respond on email when needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Tiffany)
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr Forman is quick to respond on email - even after hours or on weekends. He’s very comforting and yet honest. I trust him implicitly. He has been very thorough describing every step of the process and reached out personally when our first retrieval didn’t go as hoped.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions!
10 days of injections followed by the trigger. (Menopur and goneril and one other). Then we did a retrieval. Eggs fertilized but didn’t mature enough to be implanted.
Medication was about $250 Sperm freezing $660 Every visit - including ultrasounds had a $40 copay
He prefers a single
Columbia University

I had some trouble with the clinic's [Columbia University] financial office. They were not very responsive and it took me a long time to adjust my balances. ... The financial staff at the practice wasn't the best but it was worth it to see Dr. Forman. ... I don't really remember the nursing team which I guess means they were fine. The phlebotomists were very nice and always greeted me with a smile. The front desk staff was also very kind. ...
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I really only worked with Dr. Forman, who is amazing. I had some trouble with the clinic's financial office. They were not very responsive and it took me a long time to adjust my balances. I don't really remember the nursing team which I guess means they were fine. The phlebotomists were very nice and always greeted me with a smile. The front desk staff was also very kind.
Dr. Forman is the kindest doctor I have ever worked with. I have a lot of anxiety and he was patient with me and answered all my questions within minutes! I felt like I was his only patient the entire time that I was working with him, while I know he has many.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr. Forman is amazing. I have a lot of anxiety around fertility and Dr. Forman was extremely patient with me every step of the way. Even now that I moved, I still will email Dr. Forman questions that I have because I really trust him. He answers my emails right away and makes me feel like I am his only patient while I know he has many. I have never written a review for anyone before but really felt like I needed to now. I cannot recommend Dr. Forman enough.
No advice is needed.
My insurance covered most of it. The financial staff at the practice wasn't the best but it was worth it to see Dr. Forman.

Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
[Dr. Briana Rudick at Columbia University] transferred two embryos in, to give me the best chance at having one successful pregnancy...Columbia is a nice facility I really have no complaints. There strength is how they communicate with their patients. I always got a prompt response when I called and left messages, or sent emails. I also liked that schedule the appointments accordingly, so that I am not waiting an hour in the waiting room for my appointment. All in all it had a good experience at Columbia.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
She's a good doctor, she really know her stuff. I felt a sense of hope when I first saw her. She was very kind, and took her time to explain everything in detail.
The nurses were nice and communicated well. They dealt with me in a compassionate way. I enjoyed working with them. They all made the whole process a little easier.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick is a good doctor. I felt completely comfortable with her. She was very thorough with explaining The procedure, and answered any questions that I had. She can be very direct at times, but I felt that she just wanted to make sure that we were on the same page with everything. I would definitely go back to her when the time is right.
She is a very thorough doctor.
Follistim which produced 19 eggs, and only 2 good embryos.
The doctor transferred two embryos in, to give me the best chance at having one successful pregnancy.
Columbia University
Columbia is a big facility with a lot of patients so it is easy to feel like a number and I definitely felt like one sometimes.... Columbia has a lot of patients so it can feel like a factory. I have recently started going in for treatment again for a second child and things are definitely better, a lot more organized and waiting times have decreased considerably.... Dr Douglas is a very thorough doctor. She was very clear about the journey we were about to undertake
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I don't remember well and things have changed now but at the time things seemed a bit disorganized, lots of waiting and confusion.
How was your experience with Nataki Douglas at Columbia University?
Dr Douglas is a very thorough doctor. She was very clear about the journey we were about to undertake and explained it clearly. There weren't any surprises. I also liked the fact that she took out the time to answer questions whenever I saw her for a sono. Her self assuredness helped me feel that we were in good hands. That said we did two IUI's with her and were able to conceive. I am not sure how it would have worked out if things had dragged on longer.
She is to the point so it can feel a bit brusque. She was perfect for me because I am not great at small talk.
Nataki Douglas
Columbia University

In my first ultra sound they discovered fibroids and recommended a different type of ultra sound. It took me three weeks to get the approval and appointment scheduled. The nurses had different information and it turned out I didn't need approval and could have gone immediately....Katrina was very thorough, however there is a disconnect between the treatment costs that she gave me and the costs that the billing department provided. She was completely unaware of the "package" that Columbia has been advertising.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Long waits and disorganized, never answers the phone. They will call you back when you leave messages, but the communication feels more like a free clinic than an established facility. The lobby is clean, but the actual exam rooms and offices are old.
He rushed me the initial conversations and seemed frustrated when I asked him questions. He seemed very frustrated when I mentioned I went to another doctor to consult about my fibroid issues, despite the fact that he doesn't treat fibroids. I got the sense that he wanted to rush into this very expensive egg freezing process for his benefit only.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina Leong)
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
He has 20+ years of experience, but for such a sensitive topic, he really had no empathy. I felt like I was being reprimanded during one of my visits.
Ask a lot of questions, probably try to see other doctors in his center.