Columbia University

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
5 Columbus Circle
West Harrison
244 Westchester Ave
West Harrison, NY 10604
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Columbia University to a friend?
The clinic actively takes part in research performed at Columbia University, which means that it remains at the forefront of the field. Treatments provided are state-of-the-art. Besides the expertise, sensitivity and kindness of the staff, the clinic facilities provide a welcoming surrounding...The care coordinator called a week before our first appointment to make sure that we submit our new patient questionnaire ahead of time, so that Dr. Forman would have the time to review our case before meeting with us. The nurse, Christine, was very helpful, providing us with a checklist of additional diagnostic tests required and talking us through the advantages and disadvantages of genetic testing. The nurse who took our blood was very diligent, competent, and friendly.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr. Forman had carefully read our medical history before meeting with us. On our first visit, a doctor in training attended our consultation, but before leading us into the room, Dr. Forman asked us in a sensitive manner whether this would be ok with us. It was clear that we had the choice to say no and that this would be accepted and respected. During the consultation, he took the time to listen to us, review any medical data we had brought with us, and explain various details of the anticipated procedures to us, weighing different options and providing a clear treatment plan tailored to our specific situation. He directly organized for us to meet with different members on his team to address various aspects of the treatment, and take blood samples for additional diagnostics. Everyone on his team was completely focused on us and our needs, and acted in a calm and efficient, yet supportive manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Gertrude)
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
When we left Dr. Forman's office, both my husband and I felt imbued with confidence that we were in good hands. He had taken the time to carefully review our medical history and data, and explained to us potential treatment paths with their advantages and disadvantages, concluding with the best option for our situation. All the while he was eager to hear our story, and provided us with ample opportunities to ask any questions we might have. He also gave us his e-mail address and answered any e-mail within 24 hours.
Describe the protocols Eric Forman used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
We are at the very beginning of treatment. Since my husband has azoospermia due to blockage, the anticipated treatment would require sperm extraction, egg extraction, ICSI, and finally IVF. Dr. Forman suggested not to perform both the sperm and egg extractions on the same day, in order to prevent me from having to undergo invasive treatment should the sperm extraction not yield the desired results. Dr. Forman also suggested some strategies to save both time and money, which was very much appreciated.
Describe Eric Forman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Dr. Forman suggested implanting a single embryo only, as he was confident that given my values this should not be a problem. He said that if we were to perform genetic testing on the embryo pre-implantation, this would allow us to determine whether any of the generated embryos might not be good for implantation, thus raising the chances to obtain a successful pregnancy after implanting just one embryo.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I am so glad that I chose to use Columbia when my husband and I struggled to conceive. Dr. McConnell is brilliant and also kind and comforting throughout what can be a very anxiety-producing process. She is patient with me and answers all of my questions, and I never feel rushed...They [nurses] are very kind and thorough and answer all of my millions of questions...the patient financial coordinator is wonderful and helps with every step of the financial aspect of treatment. She responds to emails immediately.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I am so glad that I chose to use Columbia when my husband and I struggled to conceive. Dr. McConnell is brilliant and also kind and comforting throughout what can be a very anxiety-producing process. She is patient with me and answers all of my questions, and I never feel rushed. I mainly see her in the Westchester office, but I have been to the new Manhattan location as well and it's amazing!! I had an appointment with Dr. Forman once when Dr. McConnell was out of the office and he seemed great as well. The process of scheduling appointments is seamless, and I adore all of the nurses, secretaries, and phlebotomists I have interacted with.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina)
They are very kind and thorough and answer all of my millions of questions;
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
She is knowledgeable and compassionate. I highly recommend her. I mainly see her in the Westchester office, but I have been to the new Manhattan location as well and it's amazing!! I had an appointment with Dr. Forman once when Dr. McConnell was out of the office and he seemed great as well. The process of scheduling appointments is seamless, and I adore all of the nurses, secretaries, and phlebotomists I have interacted with.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Be proactive. Ask any questions you have.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel McConnell at Columbia University.
My insurance covered everything, but the patient financial coordinator is wonderful and helps with every step of the financial aspect of treatment. She responds to emails immediately.
Columbia University
The clinic [Columbia University] is beautiful, you’re always greeted. They have coffee, tea and water for you while you wait. They even sometimes play relaxing music. The clinic is always clean. The waiting area, the rooms and bathrooms are well kept. They provide anything you need to freshen up...The nursing staff was amazing. They communicated well and were very pleasant...Dr.Rudick was welcoming which made me more comfortable since I had a bad experience from my first fertility doctor. She also asked me what I will like to do as far as treatment. She gave me all my options and broke them down to me. She also got a chance to talk with my husband who’s a trans man. She gave us insight on fertility in the LGBTQ community. She’s been nothing but amazing so far.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is beautiful, you’re always greeted. They have coffee, tea and water for you while you wait. They even sometimes play relaxing music. The clinic is always clean. The waiting area, the rooms and bathrooms are well kept. They provide anything you need to freshen up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
My first time meeting Dr. Rudick we went over my fertility records. She asked questions and also listened to me. The first clinic I went to I didn’t get none of that. They barely spoke to me about my failed IUI’s and didn’t even try to see why it wasn’t working.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University.
The nursing staff was amazing. They communicated well and were very pleasant.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Rudick will communicate very well with you. She will even email you if to make sure you and her on the same page.
Describe the protocols Briana Rudick used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
I haven’t gotten a chance to have a cycle with her yet. She ordered an SHG test which discovered I had Fibroids so I had to undergo two surgeries to remove them. I’m currently recovering now from the 2nd one.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Briana Rudick at Columbia University.
So far I haven’t gotten any fertility treatments because of the surgeries. But I was told the cost if my insurance don’t approve me for IVF.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
The process of drawing blood can be uncomfortable, but the staff at Columbia were friendly and compassionate.... The process of drawing blood can be uncomfortable, but the staff at Columbia were friendly and compassionate.... Columbia provides many opportunities to communicate with your own doctor.... The administrative staff is also great, particularly Sofia. She has a passion for her work
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
IVF is a very stressful process, especially when we are using extensive hormones, which could easily make our feeling and emotions swing and tiny little bit of discomfort occurred to us could trigger a big drama. Having gone through numerous consultations and IVF treatments over the past 4 years, The Center For Women's at Columbia University Medical Center has worked best for me. Columbia provides many opportunities to communicate with your own doctor. Most of the time, it’s your own doctor provides the ultrasound, so you know the status. Dr. Rudick impressed me early on as being both intelligent and attentive. She is very thorough and very quick to get what’s on my mind. She made me feel positive and gave me confidence. The process of drawing blood can be uncomfortable, but the staff at Columbia were friendly and compassionate. I love Arula. She made my day when she successfully drew the blood in one shot from my hard-to find vein. Jenny is very patient. Patrice is always smiling and sometimes she does it herself, despite being the lead nurse who assigns tasks. Pam, the most senior staffer, gave us very detailed training. I deeply appreciate advice to avoid google searches, and not to make any guesses. I believe most of us like to read, analyze and formulate questions; Pam pointed out that operating from assumptions won’t do us any good. She encouraged us to directly ask the doctor. The administrative staff is also great, particularly Sofia. She has a passion for her work, despite being relatively new. She takes everything seriously and is focused on the tasks at hand. Without her help, I won’t be so fortunate. The last item I want to mention is the billing department; they made difficult issues very simple. I am able to match their bills with my insurance EOB’s. If I came across any discrepancies, Miriam provided a detailed explanation and an immediate fix. This is in sharp contrast to prior experiences, in which the bills were tough to decipher and help was not consistent.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Pam)
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick impressed me early on as being both intelligent and attentive. She is very thorough and very quick to get what’s on my mind. She made me feel positive and gave me confidence. I also appreciate her attention to detail and willingness to discuss matters openly.
Open your mind, be positive and don't hold anything back.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The Columbia Women’s Fertility Center is awesome! All the receptionists and phlebotomists get to know you and are always welcoming and well organized. Morning monitoring is extremely efficient and runs daily from 7-9am. Some people may not like the volume of people who are there every day, but I appreciate it because they always move efficiently through patients. I rarely wait longer than 10 minutes for morning monitoring and am usually only there about 30minutes so I am able to get to work on time.
Dr. McConnell is very warm and personable and we appreciate her genuine way of communicating. She is never put out by any of the questions we have asked and is always patient with helpful and accurate answers. She also took the time to personally reached out to me about renovations in the office to ensure that my treatment was not effected.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina )
The nursing staff that works with Dr. McConnell is awesome. I have more contact with them than Dr. McConnell herself. Nurse Katrina is my personal care coordinator and she is the one who always calls me with results and information. She is extremely helpful, warm and patient with my questions.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Dr. McConnell is very easy to talk to and extremely knowledgeable. She makes a point to explain the process and also the science behind the process of IUI and now IVF as we have shifted our path of treatment. She is always positive while being honest about potential risks of each medication, procedure or pathway. She has performed one of my IUI procedures and a sonogram personally - although for other procedures I have had various doctors in the clinic. When she doesn’t personally perform the morning monitoring or other procedures she always looks over the results and I get a call a few hours later with her assessment. Dr. McConnell also has a patient, warm nature and I always feel supported and cared for when interacting with her. I have also already recommended her to a friend who is absolutely thrilled to be working with her compared with her last doctor. I feel very lucky that Dr. McConnell is my doctor through this process because it has so many ups and downs, and she is a constant, hopeful and calm presence through it all.
Bring your own questions to appointments- don’t be afraid to ask her anything! She is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Describe the protocols Rachel McConnell used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Dr. McConnell took time to do a lot of preliminary testing of myself and my partner before beginning treatment. Testing identified that I have a blocked Fallopian tube and my husband has low motility. As a result, She recommended starting with less intrusive methods, so we started with IUI. She will support patients desire to go with more aggressive treatment but would herself recommend the least intrusive care possible given the couple’s issues. I did three cycles of IUI with Chlomid and a trigger shot, which did not result in any positives. After about 3 attempts she likes to meet again with patients to se if they want to continue with IUI or move to a more involved cycle like IVF. We were ready to try IVF, and she walked us through the process, risk factors and more. I asked her if I should have surgery to unblock my Fallopian tube, but she said it wasn’t needed because of the type of blockage I had. This reinforced my appreciation for her because she wasn’t just out to get more money by pushing patients to have more procedures that aren’t truly necessary. We are now awaiting the start of our first IVF cycle, which will be next month.
I have insurance that covers much of the IUI process but not the IVF process. There is usually a co-pay for each morning monitoring visit of $25. This doesn’t apply if just blood work is done. IVF will be more expensive because I don’t have insurance coverage. They gave us a print out of all the various components of care and procedures and the prices so we could get a good idea of what to expect. We are budgeting to need $10-$15,000 for the IVF trials. This clinic also assigns each patient a financial advisor and I call or email her whenever I have billing or insurance questions or issues. She has been very helpful through the process in making sure my costs were properly processed through insurance and also that I understood my coverage.
Describe Rachel McConnell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Dr. McConnell supports a eSET approach in IVF. She stated that it doesn’t improve chances by using more than one at a time.
3 IUI, 4 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Strengths [at : There is hardly a line when checking in, I never have to wait more than 10 minutes for a bloodwork. And they are all friendly. Weaknesses: The clinic can use a little update especially the bathrooms...They were all very nice and they seem to know what they were all doing. They also know your name. They give you privacy. They confirm your name and birthdate. I would say it has gotten better.
3 IUI, 4 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths: There is hardly a line when checking in, I never have to wait more than 10 minutes for a bloodwork. And they are all friendly. Weaknesses: The clinic can use a little update especially the bathrooms.
Dr. Forman made me feel that I was important and not just another patient. He followed up with me through email, and whenever I had a question, he would respond right away. He was there for me throughout the process.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
I am so proud to have him as my Doctor. I was about to give up on CWRC after several failed procedures. But I gave them another chance and met with Dr. Eric Forman. I told him how I felt about CWRC. He assured me that things were going to change. He spoke with confidence. He took his time to explain everything. And I really wanted to try having another baby and so I gave him a try. And then, our journey began, 4 months later, I was pregnant! Dr. Forman made sure that I had all the medications I needed. He kept in touch with me through email and I was shocked that he responded so quickly. I had so many questions and he answered all of them. He was patient with me. He's just an amazing Doctor, not because I became pregnant, but because I didn't feel like just another patient. I didn't feel like I was passed down from one doctor to another. He is absolutely wonderful!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Forman at Columbia University?
I would tell a prospective patient to tell Dr Forman everything like what works for you and what doesn't. He listens. Example: if you can't get to a scheduled appointment, let him know and he will make it work. Also to ask questions even if it doesn't makes sense, he will explain everything.
This time around, by evaluating my previous procedures, Dr. Forman saw that I could take higher dosage but almost the same medication. The only different medication I've received from Dr. Forman is the the pregesterone. Instead of the normal pills, I was given pregesterone in sesame oil. I was also seeing Dr. Forman almost every week during the process and made sure that my bloodwork is all good. I was basically monitored closely which I think helped in the whole process to see how my body is reacting to the treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Forman at Columbia University.
I had insurance that covered everything except for Freezing of the embryos.
Columbia University
If it is at all possible for you to get to the Scarsdale location [of Columbia University], I highly recommend it. I went out of my way to come to this location because the one in Manhattan is such a zoo.You will still have to go to the Manhattan location for procedures like IUI, egg retrieval, and embryo transfer. For those procedures you never know which Dr you’re going to get...Chrissy and Angela are both wonderful nurses. They are both extremely knowledgeable and personable.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
CWRC definitely had a factory feel because they treat such a high volume of patients, but it’s my understanding that all NYC clinics are like this. I had over 30 appointments at the Manhattan location. This location was very hit or miss in terms of the service received. Sometimes I only waited for 10 minutes for an appointment, and the staff was pleasant, other times there were long waits and the staff was curt and rushed. My worst experience was when I waited for 3 hours for my first embryo transfer, which was really difficult. This whole process is so emotionally fraught and my anxiety built with each hour that passed. But the worst part was how it was dealt with - my partner kept checking in with the receptionist, and he continued to assure her that we would be seen in “5 minutes,” which clearly wasn’t happening. When it became clear that she was getting upset he had the Dr on call come out and talk to us. When we complained that we’d been waiting for 3 hours, she replied “yeah, well I’ve been working for more than 3 hours.” It was just an obnoxious comment that was totally unnecessary. After that experience is when we switched to Dr McConell. The staff at her Scarsdale office are all wonderful, pleasant, helpful, and knowledgeable.
I began seeing Dr McConnell after a negative experience with another Dr in the practice. I had just undergone 4 unsuccessful IUIs and it was time to move on to IVF. During our IVF consultation Dr McConnell was very informative as well as warm and took her time answering all of our questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Chrissy)
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
CWRC is a large clinic and serves tons of patients at their Manhattan location. Dr McConnell works part of the week there, and spends the other days running the Scarsdale location.If it is at all possible for you to get to the Scarsdale location, I highly recommend it. I went out of my way to come to this location because the one in Manhattan is such a zoo. You will still have to go to the Manhattan location for procedures like IUI, egg retrieval, and embryo transfer. For those procedures you never know which Dr you’re going to get. But all of my morning monitoring was done by Dr. McConnell. She was always upbeat and personable and I never felt rushed, like I did woh other Drs in the practice.
Come with a list of questions.
I did 2 IVF cycles with Dr McConnell. Both times I used injectables (Gonal F and Cetrotide) to prepare for the egg retrieval. For the first cycle I did a fresh embryo transfer using 2 5-day blastocysts. When this cycle was unsuccessful, Dr McConnell had a follow up appointment with my partner and I to recommend PGS testing for the next cycle. We had 4 embryos tested and 2 were deemed chromosomally normal. I transferred one which resulted in my current pregnancy, and the other is still frozen for a future transfer.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Columbia University.
Monitoring is done between 7 and 9, and at the Manhattan location there was often a wait. The Scarsdale location had Mich less wait time.
I spent about 20k total out of pocket, because my 4 IUI treatments were not covered at all under insurance. My IVF treatments were mostly covered. However, I needed to have a certain number of failed IUIs before the insurance deemed IVF necessary.
Columbia University
After being upset that I had to sit a cycle out for my MMR booster I was frustrated when they didn't seem to have the vaccination record my doctor sent over. The front desk said it's best to just bring the hard copy so it can go right into the file because if it's faxed who know what happens to it. I was definitely confused about the climid prescription being sent to my pharmacy. When I hadn't heard anything a few hours after my appointment I assumed they forgot. After calling and talking to a nurse she explained that they had to wait for my blood test results before they could send it. Before my IUI no one mentioned that it's preferable to have a full bladder. So assuming it was like all the ultrasounds I made sure to empty my bladder before my appointment. When you want everything to be as optimal as possible that was annoying.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The doctors are one of their strengths. The medical assistants and blood work assistants are a weakness. The front desk staff is pretty friendly, empathetic and helpful although some more than others. One thing I've realized is they have a lot of patients and a lot of people that have done this before but I have to remind them this is my first time with a fertility treatment plan and to explain things a little more. At the initial consultation a nurse explained all the tests I needed to get and she assigned me to a financial counselor. The financial counselor is great- she gets things sent to my insurance for approval right away which I appreciate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nataki Douglas at Columbia University?
Dr. Douglas is easy to talk to and explains things in great detail. She understands that we have busy lives and wanted to make treatment as easy as possible for us. She seems both "real" and empathetic in her interactions.
I'm a little unsure of the difference between the nursing staff vs. the medical assistants/phlebotomists. I'm fairly confident I've only come in contact with 3 actual nurses. They were all very nice. The medical assistants and phlebotomists are pretty terrible. The call the first name and last initial for you to do blood work. I thought the woman was calling my name so I said are you saying "first last" and she just kept repeating what she was saying and not answering my question. Once we got back there she said "we only say the first name and last name initial" which is totally fine but answer when i tell you my full name. Also, my rubella immunity came back low. I got the booster (and had to sit that cycle out). Two months later they call me back and ask me if I got it. I told them the date I received the booster and said I thought the record should be in my file but could have the doctor's office resend it. Then they went back and forth about whether they needed to draw my blood to test for it again. They were basically asking me if they should. I told them "I got the booster so if I'm not immune at this point there is nothing I can do and I'll have to take my chances. But if you need the blood test for me to continue with my treatment plan then do it." It just felt like they had no idea what was going on. I feel like when you go in you have to already know what should be happening or you might get extra blood drawn or unnecessary ultrasounds. If insurance wasn't covering my treatment I would be really concerned about the confusion if I was the one paying for all these tests.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
How was your experience with Nataki Douglas at Columbia University?
I only saw Nataki Douglas at my consultation and the appointment after all tests were complete to go over a treatment plan. I thoroughly enjoyed both these appointments. She took time to explain test results, treatment options, potential risks and it never felt rushed. She is very caring and her conversation didn't feel too stiff or clinical.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nataki Douglas at Columbia University?
Obviously the doctors can't work 7 days a week for morning monitoring so don't expect her to be there for all your appointments.
Describe the protocols Nataki Douglas used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
After trying for a little over a year we decided to seek answers. Due to female cycle irregularity and male low morphology Dr. Douglas suggested clomid with better timed intercourse at home or we could go straight to IUI. Due to the low morphology and the fact that we do have insurance coverage for IUI we decided to do that. I started with 50mg of clomid on cycle days 3-7 with an IUI the day following LH surge.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nataki Douglas at Columbia University.
I think the initial consultation was $550 if not covered by insurance. They were very up front about that. Our insurance covers all treatment associate with IUI but won't for IVF if we get to that point. I would definitely work more closely with the financial counselor if we were paying for treatment to make sure I was getting what I needed for treatment and no additional blood draws or ultrasounds.
Nataki Douglas
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Other, Unexplained
The experience [at Columbia U] was a nightmare, and my treatment was unsuccessful.... I could barely get a callback, and the clinical staff don't use email. Even though the clinic claimed to have a lot of experience with same-sex couples, they often had to make up the process along the way. Because they didn't have updated consent forms for same-sex couples, we had to solicit external legal council and advocate for changes to the forms in order to protect of our parental rights. The lead social worker was also highly unprofessional and shared obvious details about the identity of famous patients.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The experience was a nightmare, and my treatment was unsuccessful. The set protocols made everything easier for the clinic/doctors but weren't successful for me and often left me with negative side effects for several extra days before my procedures. I could barely get a callback, and the clinical staff don't use email. Even though the clinic claimed to have a lot of experience with same-sex couples, they often had to make up the process along the way. Because they didn't have updated consent forms for same-sex couples, we had to solicit external legal council and advocate for changes to the forms in order to protect of our parental rights. The lead social worker was also highly unprofessional and shared obvious details about the identity of famous patients.
After each failed cycle, Dr. McConnell just recommended the same protocol without additional testing. I'm not sure if it's Dr. McConnell's preference or the clinic's, but she doesn't individualize or alter a protocol even when it fails or the patient has an adverse reaction. The oral estrace that they use for FET cycles made me very sick, but she refused to let me do another FET protocol or consider one of the many alternatives forms of estrogen.
The only slight positive was that the support staff including the nurses were very kind. That said, I was frequently given misinformation and strange instructions by the nurses, who seemed overwhelmed and unorganized. One told me to avoid yoga/light exercise even before my frozen transfer because it would bounce my uterus!
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
I had a horrible experience with Dr. McConnell. She regularly failed to explain procedures or recommendations and lied to me. Dr. McConnell said that one couldn't stop birth control pills mid-pack--apparently, it was easier to lie than share her reason for wanting me to continue the medication. She also made an error during an exam and said my uterus was retroverted; it's not and she had done ultrasounds on me previously. Most significantly, I went through with a surgery that Dr. McConnell recommended for me, and unfortunately she failed to mention that it could have a significant negative impact on my ovarian reserve. She also did not help get me an appointment with a surgeon.
Go elsewhere if possible. Otherwise, advocate heavily for yourself: push for answers, follow up repeatedly, and make sure you stay on top of every detail of your care.
unsuccessful medicated FETs with the same standard protocol each time (estrace, antagonist, progesterone suppositories, low dose medrol before transfer)
They tried to have us pay out of pocket rather than use our insurance benefits. Luckily, insurance covered treatment. However, they routinely tried to bill me for covered procedures or at higher prices than I was told in advance. Sorting it out was almost impossible.
We went into the process knowing that we wanted eSET, so there wasn't much if any discussion about it with Dr. McConnell.
4 IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Prescription calls to pharmacy took days to be called in. We had to follow up with the nurses [at Columbia U] repeatedly to close out the process. Took nurses days to call back...Monitoring started at 7 am. I had to get there by 630AM to be the first few patients in line. I have literally run to the front door of the building to rush to be the first few in line. Consequence of not being the first 1 to 3 is waiting untill 745 am to be seen by the doctor...Michael worked the front desk and was always friendly, kind and efficient
East Asian, South Asian
4 IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Not suitable for someone who needs treatment that extends beyond their standard protocol e.g. estrogen priming in my case
She did not ask about my goals or manage my expectations. I was told we would get pregnant quickly and without any issue. Even after the first failed embryo transfer did not take, she did not discuss any possible changes to our protocol. I distinctively remember that in our follow up appointment to discuss our failed transfer, she sat back cross her fingers and asked "what can i do for you?" That question struck me as uncaring and cold. All she suggested was to follow the same protocol and transfer the next embryo. We did as we were told for the next 2 embryos (makes 3 total transfers) using the same protocol and received the same negative results each transfer.
I can remember only 2 individuals who were our lifelines during our treatment there. 1) Michael worked the front desk and was always friendly, kind and efficient. 2) Erica was a blood tech there and is now at Sher NY. She was always friendly and efficient - uplifting and important qualities to help patients navigate this stressful time.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Communication skills are poor. Next steps were spoken about in broad strokes. She dictated the next steps without asking for my input and paid little attention when we provided input/shared concerns. It always took a very long time for her to get back to us (by phone) - we resorted to carrying the phones with us into bathrooms etc. so as not to miss her calls. There are far better and faster ways to communicate today e.g. email
Do not expect any compassion or customized treatment. This is not a doctor I would recommend unless you know (and who does?) you only need to go through this once to be successful and you have no need for customized treatment/protocol.
Results of my STIM cycles were very poor - I had very few follicles to work with. I requested adjustments to my treatment protocol to improve my chances e.g. estrogen priming but was told a flat no because I don't ovulate regularly and wouldn't fit into one of their standard protocols (I actually went on to have success with priming at another clinic). On another occasion, I was stimmed with a dominant follicle which ultimately resulted in a cancelled cycle. In summary, I was encouraged to keep repeating the same standard protocol even though the monitoring sessions revealed low follicle count and in some cases a clear dominant follicle.
Monitoring started at 7 am. I had to get there by 630AM to be the first few patients in line. I have literally run to the front door of the building to rush to be the first few in line. Consequence of not being the first 1 to 3 is waiting untill 745 am to be seen by the doctor. After seeing the doctor for monitoring, it could take another 20 mins to meet with the nurse. That means spending 1.5 hours for a 3 minute monitoring appointment is my best case scenario.
Columbia University
When I decided to leave Columbia and get treated elsewhere. It took almost a month to get my chart transferred. It is very hard to speak with someone besides a receptionist. When you ask to speak with Billing or Records dept for example, you're transferred basically to a voicemail 99% of the time. For the records requests, the request is done via email and you do not receive any confirmation that the request was received. After numerous phone calls my records were finally sent.... but incomplete. Took another 2 phone calls to rectify. You have to insist to speak with someone, otherwise you just keep getting pushed to voicemail. Next issue is billing. Please see details below. For a clinic where I did not even stay to do treatment, I couldn't believe the issues that I had.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
At my first appointment, Dr. Rackow was more than 2 hours late. She apparently had an emergency at the hospital. I understand OB emergencies happen and as a health care provider myself, I know it happens. What I don't understand is the front desk staff, they knew she was running late when I checked in but never said anything. It was only when I overheard the front desk telling other patients to either wait or reschedule that I went up to the front desk myself to inquire, since I had waited nearly an hour by now. At this point they told me that I actually hadn't been waiting that long because they allow 45 minutes of the new patient appointment for us to fill out paperwork. I'd never heard of this and I've never needed 45 minutes to fill out new patient paperwork. They then basically said I could come back another day or reschedule. Dr. Rackow's schedule is not very frequent and I had already canceled my patients for the day to see her so I opted to wait, I got lunch at Whole Foods and then came back to the appointment. The entire time the front desk seemed to not care and never bothered to inform me that she was going to be in late. I stayed to Columbia against my better judgement (I also trained there so I guess I felt some sense of loyalty), but after the cattle-call morning monitoring visits where I without fail would have to wait nearly an hour and a last minute appointment cancellation by Dr. Rackow, I left the clinic after finishing the infertility/RPL workup. I could not even get a follow up to discuss the results because Dr. Rackow is just never there. I had it with Dr. Nataki Douglas. I made the appointment for first thing in the morning to minimize wait time. At 20 minutes past my appointment time, I saw Dr. Douglas and some staff roll in the office with coffee and doughnuts, apparently they had gone out to get coffee and no one seemed to care that there were patients on the schedule. That really solidified it for me. Since I was paying fully out of pocket, I felt I couldn't do treatment at Columbia because it just seemed like no one cared at the office. To me, fertility treatment is quite individualized and when I finally saw Dr. Douglas, I could tell she just read my chart right before the appointment and offered standard treatment options without taking my medical history into consideration.
How was your experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
I don't know if Dr. Rackow is really familiar with many of her patients' cases/treatment progress. She was seldom available and I only managed to see her once. Again, I feel that fertility treatment protocols are quite individualized and it is very hard for me, as a patient, to just see whomever is available that day and you can tell they just literally just flipped through your chart moments prior and are now going to decide the course of your treatment. It might be okay with some people, but since I was paying fully out of pocket I was not going to take that gamble.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth Rackow at Columbia University.
My insurance only covered up through diagnostic testing. I left after the diagnostic testing. Did not start treatment at Columbia. Little did I know I would be haunted by billing issues for another 9 months. PLEASE CHECK YOUR BILLING STATEMENTS!! I will highlight 2 issues: 1.) On my first visit with Dr. Rackow, as you see from above, was delayed greatly, and Dr. Rackow spent approximately 30 minutes with me going over my medical history and then suggested some lab tests. I was then shuttled off to speak with a nurse who went over when I was supposed to come in for baseline bloodwork, since I was an IVF newbie. Imagine my surprise when I then got a bill from Columbia for $404 for a 60-minute office visit with Dr. Rackow. They billed under code 99205, look it up if you're curious but I guarantee you the criteria under which the clinic was allowed to bill under that code did NOT happen at my visit. Obviously I did not "clock in" or "clock out" the visit but honestly the least amount of time I spent at that office was the actual appointment with Dr. Rackow. When I called the office to inquire, the billing department said they would speak with her and get back to me. They actually did call me back, only to tell me that Dr. Rackow said she had spent a significant amount of time that I was definitely there for an hour. I'm not even sure if Dr. Rackow remembered me as a patient and I thought it was pretty impressive that she remembered how long she spent with me. The ironic thing is when I had another new patient consult with my current RE at another clinic, I was bracing myself for another $400 visit. My new RE saw me on time, ACTUALLY spent over an hour for the visit, and the office only billed my for a 45 minute visit, which was only $118 out of pocket for me. 2.) I was double billed by Columbia for lab tests. Columbia did the blood collection but the analysis gets sent to another lab, typically Enzo Labs. There was a lag by Enzo labs for some genetic tests since they had to verify some things with my insurance so I got the lab bill from Enzo almost 9 months (yea....) after the date of service. I cross referenced it with the bill from Columbia for the same date of service, which came shortly after the office visit to draw blood (sending out bills is one thing they are not slow about), and noticed that Columbia had billed for the blood collection, as well as for the analysis of 3 hormones, under the same code as Enzo Labs, who actually did the analysis. I could not believe I had to call Columbia... again. I thought I was done with them. Spoke with Sara in billing, who told me that she would call me back in a couple of days to let me know what the credit owed to me was. I never got a call back, and when I called after a week Sara no longer worked there! They then transferred to me Sofia Papaderos, the financial services manager, who actually was pretty good about emailing me back at first. However, I found it strange that the manager could not give me a timeline of when or how the credit would be processed (apparently the credit needs several approval signatures prior to issuance of a refund check, again, something you would expect the manager to know about). She then proceeded to tell me that an amended claim needed to be filed with the insurance prior to me getting the refund, but Columbia never sent this amended claim, and again, her exact words were "Not sure on the time frame unfortunately". Then I stopped hearing back from her all together! After over a month of back and forth, I finally somehow just received a refund check in the mail, without needing this so-called amended claim.
Columbia University
I would receive a call back only 80% of the time from the nurse [at Columbia University]. In one instance, I called 5 times over the course of 3 days pleading with them to call me back as my prescription hadn't been called in correctly. I never received any reply...They input my information incorrectly, telling the Genetic company that I was Native American. I am Caucasian. This skewed the test results. Columbia did not notice this - in fact it took me several weeks to notice the mistake on the results page. A nurse forgot to call in a prescription for me and no one ever called me back to fix it. The billing department was impossible to get a hold of. For 2 of my IUIs, they failed to get the pre-authorization that I needed from my insurance company until I called several times. In one instance, it was not until the day before my IUI that they successfully called my insurance company.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I have no issues with a clinic that is a cattle call. I understand that a cattle call isn't always a bad thing - it can show that the clinic is organized and efficient in how they see patients. This is not the case with Columbia. The waiting room is extremely uncomfortable and outdated. The chairs are lined up to face a television set that blasts HGTV very loudly every single day. I visited the clinic at all hours of the day and this was also the case. The exam rooms are extremely outdated and felt dirty to me. The walls were covered in marks and desperately needed fresh paint. The sterilizing machines would be left on and beeping non-stop for 10+ minutes at a time until someone would finally come in and turn it off. They do not have many lab techs to take blood work. I would estimate 3 techs at a time. The doctor's do not review your chart or paper before entering your exam room. I had several ask me why I was there today and one incorrectly said, "you're here for X today, right" - which was 100% incorrect.
I saw Dr. McConnell during my consultation. She seemed friendly and was very positive about us succeeding. She indicated that the tests that my GYN ran were thorough and that our only issue was morphology (male factor). She believed we could easily get pregnant using IUI with no drugs. We were obviously excited to hear this and immediately signed up. Unfortunately, we never saw Dr. McConnell again - EVER. We did 3 IUIs at the clinic and never once saw OUR doctor after the consultation. This is shocking to me as I had A LOT of visits over the course of 3 IUIs. I felt like a number and not a human.
The nurse telephone line goes directly to voicemail. That is fine. The problem is, their voicemail numbers don't match the correct nurses with their corresponding doctors. I mentioned this several times and was met with deaf ears. Also, I would receive a call back only 80% of the time from the nurse. In one instance, I called 5 times over the course of 3 days pleading with them to call me back as my prescription hadn't been called in correctly. I never received any reply. I'm still waiting for that call back (haha!)
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Dr. McConnell seemed like a warm person and she was positive about the treatment she was prescribing for me. However, she was not proactive. After having 2 failed IUIs with no drugs, I had to call the clinic myself and ask whether I could start taking clomid. I never heard back from her after my failed IUIs or after my request to start taking clomid. The nurse called me back and said OK. How is that acceptable behavior for a doctor? After 3 IUIs failed, I simply never called the clinic again and Dr. McConnell never reached out to me. I can't adequately review her personally as a doctor as I only saw her once during my consultation.
Don't expect to have easy access to this doctor or even her nurses.
My husband had low morphology (1%). That was our only known issue. Dr. McConnell did not believe morphology would impact our success and she strongly suggested we try natural IUI (no drugs at all). We did 2 failed natural IUI cycles before I grew frustrated and called the nurse asking to be allowed to do an IUI w/ clomid cycle. The nurse said OK. I never heard back from Dr. McConnell so I don't even know what her rationale was for saying OK.
My insurance company paid for IUIs and visits associated with it as part of my coverage. I needed pre-authorization before each IUI.
Columbia University
The wait time, very often, is excruciating. 4 hours for iui in not unusual. You are treated like a number. Noone will tell you why or how, they just draw your blood, or take you for a sonogram, however they will not explain what they see (on a sonogram screen). The billing department will NOT response to your calls. I paid the balance every time I was there and somehow they still managed to send some bills to "collection" even though I never got a bill for it. A year later there are some amounts disputed: after calling multiple time for an explanation or bills it is still unresolved. You cannot just talk to the billing department. You may only leave a message.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The visits were very rushed. Any questions I had Dr. Rackow explained fully, however she did not volunteer to give me any information by herself. I learned more about my procedures from the internet than from my own doctor. It takes a month to schedule an appointment (which doesn't last more than 10 minutes) because she is in the office only once a week for half the day. You cannot contact your doctor with questions. Instead, you need to call the office and talk to the nurse. If you have a question for the doctor then the nurse takes the question and it is supposed to be answered in 24 to 48 hours. However when I left a message with the nurse - my call was never returned. If you need immediate response then I think there is a fee for that. Doctor never followed up on the results. Dr. Rackow"prescribed" 3 cycles and then asked me to return for "follow up" visit which also took less than 10 minutes where she suggested I do another 3 cycles without changing the protocol.
Nurses and staff do what they are supposed to but without explaining why. Waiting time on average was 2 to 3 hours. But sometimes 4 hours. For one nurse it took 10 minutes to draw blood. She was not schooled at assembling the equipment so she wasted 6 needles before she got it right. I don't believe she had a proper schooling. Other nurses were just ok.
How was your experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
I think I spend more time reviewing Dr. Racow than she spend on my case. When I had a follow up appointment she was searching through her computer data for the information about my case as she was unprepared. Most of the visit she was staring at the computer instead of giving us advises or talking about our case. After unsuccessful treatments she wanted us to continue with the same treatment without adjusting anything. Getting questions answered while in a cycle was challenging. There was no email or phone for Dr. Rackow. I left only one message but it was not returned. It felt like you have no one to turn with your questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
Have as many questions ready as possible. Write them down and go through them. Don't get rushed answers as satisfactory.
Describe the protocols Beth Rackow used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Treatment strategies: 50mm clomid, iui, check for pregnancy. result: negative
$4,600 per IUI cycle
Describe Beth Rackow's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
6 Eggs Frozen
The only real weakness [at Columbia Fertility] is that for the check-ins with the bloodwork/ultrasounds you are not likely to see your physician, which isn't preferable as I would have liked my physician to be the one doing the ultrasound check-ins...The monitoring timeframe was always set very early in the morning, which was convenient given my work schedule...Dr. Guarnaccia is a straight-shooter and will not beat around the bush. If you're looking for someone to sugarcoat it, he's not the one. He is diligent and will ask questions of you--and welcomes questions from you as well.
6 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The only real weakness is that for the check-ins with the bloodwork/ultrasounds you are not likely to see your physician, which isn't preferable as I would have liked my physician to be the one doing the ultrasound check-ins.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Dr. Guarnaccia is an excellent, thoughtful and sensitive physician. When I started my first cycle for the egg freezing, when I came in on day 6 for my first ultrasound with the doctor on call to see whether the follicles were maturing, the results were negative - and I was instructed by that doctor to stop the fertility shots. I was in tears and Dr. Guarnaccia so happened to be in the office that Saturday, and purposely went out of his way to find me to calm me down and explain that we are not robots--we are human beings and one regimen of shots that works for one patient does not necessarily work for another. He strongly urged me not to give up and encouraged me to do another cycle for the egg freezing and advised that we would do a different regiment of shots. I appreciated his feedback and ultimately agreed, and while that cycle did not get as many eggs as hoped, we did get through the whole cycle and froze six eggs. I was advised to do another cycle to maximize the number of eggs but my finances (and well-being) decided against it for the time being.
Very friendly and dedicated, hard workers.
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University.
Everything involving egg freezing.
Other, Unexplained
Even though the clinic [Columbia U] claimed to have a lot of experience with same-sex couples, they often had to made up the process along the way. Because they didn't have updated consent forms for same-sex couples, we had to pay for a lawyer and advocate for changes to the forms in order to protect of our parental rights. It was a nightmare, and my treatment was unsuccessful...I could barely get a callback, and the clinical staff don't use email. EThe lead social worker was also highly unprofessional and shared obvious details about the identity of famous patients.
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It was a nightmare, and my treatment was unsuccessful. The set protocols made everything easier for the clinic/doctors but weren't successful for me and often left me with negative side effects for several extra days before my procedures. I could barely get a callback, and the clinical staff don't use email. Even though the clinic claimed to have a lot of experience with same-sex couples, they often had to made up the process along the way. Because they didn't have updated consent forms for same-sex couples, we had to pay for a lawyer and advocate for changes to the forms in order to protect of our parental rights. The lead social worker was also highly unprofessional and shared obvious details about the identity of famous patients.
The support staff including the nurses were really nice but overworked and unorganized. I was frequently given misinformation and strange instructions by the nurses. One told me to avoid yoga/light exercise even before my frozen transfer because it would bounce my uterus!
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
failed medicated FETs with the same standard protocol each cycle (estrace, antagonist, progesterone suppositories, low dose medrol before transfer)
We went into the process knowing that we only wanted eSET, so there wasn't really a conversation.
Columbia University
Terribly long wait times [at Columbia U - Manhattan], difficulty getting in and out for even just a blood draw. Very difficult to get in touch with doctor by phone, even after days of calling and leaving messages. Didn't like seeing a different doctor every time...Some [nurses] were more informative, friendly and patient than others but all were relatively warm...
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Terribly long wait times, difficulty getting in and out for even just a blood draw. Very difficult to get in touch with doctor by phone, even after days of calling and leaving messages. Didn't like seeing a different doctor every time
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
Things began okay- he was warm, informative, and thorough during the initial consult. Unfortunately, as time went on it was clear that he did not remember who I was no matter how many times I called or returned for an appointment. On one occasion he forgot something he had advised and we had discussed directly regarding my course of treatment and on another occasion I discovered (from his nurse) that he had forgotten to tell me about an additional test I needed which nearly interfered with my next planned IUI. He was never rude or impatient but my impression over time was that he couldnt keep track of all his patients and just went with a "one size fits all" type of approach.
Some were more informative, friendly and patient than others but all were relatively warm
How was your experience with Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
He was kind, intelligent, and informative- particularly at the initial consult. However, as time went by I found it more and more difficult as I rarely saw him when at the clinic and had an extremely difficult time reaching him by phone and he never seemed to remember who I was or the details of my case/treatment. On one occasion he forgot to include his DEA number on my prescription causing me to waste extra time as I had to return to the clinic to get a new prescription. And ultimately I felt he just followed a "one size fits all" approach. I lost my first pregnancy (due to a chromosomal abnormality) which was the result of my second natural cycle IUI (no medication). Despite this, Dr. Zimmermann strongly advised that I take Clomid for any subsequent IUIs. I followed his advice once however, the Clomid caused significant discomfort and did not result in a pregnancy. I then got a second opinion from another reproductive endocrinologist who indicated that would not have been his recommendation due to some adverse effects of Clomid and due to the fact that I had already gotten pregnant with a natural cycle, had no known documented fertility problems and good ovarian reserve. Against Dr. Zimmermann's advice, I decided to go back to a natural cycle (no Clomid) on my next try which resulted in a healthy pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
You probably have to stay on top of him by calling or going in constantly otherwise things may get missed.
Describe the protocols Ralf Zimmermann used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Advised Clomid after a miscarriage even though I had no documented fertility problems and had gotten pregnant on my second natural cycle of IUI because he said that at my age (39) it would improve my chances.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University.
Most were covered by my health insurance
Columbia University
1. You will never see the same doctor twice [at Columbia]. Make sure your comfortable with that. 2. You will be told the worst case scenario. It might make you panic. However, I'm glad I was prepared for the worst. 3. The front desk people are the most helpful people around. They know everything and they are really willing to work with your schedule to get you in.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
1. You will never see the same doctor twice. Make sure your comfortable with that. 2. You will be told the worst case scenario. It might make you panic. However, I'm glad I was prepared for the worst. 3. The front desk people are the most helpful people around. They know everything and they are really willing to work with your schedule to get you in.
She spoke to me pleasantly for sure, not condescendingly. However, I felt like she wasn't really paying attention to my own personal history. For example, she said something several times about my endometriosis and... I don't have that! At all! I had to keep correcting her because she had read some letter wrong. I could have been mistreated because of that.
They were all kind. They seemed knowledgeable and understanding.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
I really only saw her twice I think. The first visit was the initial intake. As previously mentioned, she seemed to briefly scan my paperwork and misinterpreted a letter. I had to keep correcting her. She was nice and all but she also didn't really care to diagnose me properly since "whatever it is, we'll be treating it the same way".
Assert yourself. If it seems like she's missing info don't be afraid to speak up. She won't get annoyed.
I was lucky. I only had to go through one cycle of IUI. She said I had unexplained infertility and there was no particular reason I wasn't getting pregnant. She said because of that it would just be best to stimulate more egg production with clomid. I started clomid on cycle day 3, I went in for daily ultrasounds to check on the egg development. I had 2 good ones developing. At mid cycle I was told to check an ovulation stick daily and once I saw the surge to come in the next morning for my IUI. If it didn't happen by Thursday, I was to use an injection to stimulate ovulation. Luckily, the surge hit Wednesday night and I did not need to inject. (I really hated that because they don't work on weekends, I would have had to buy an expensive drug and inject it). I went in with my husband for my IUI, after they told me to lay down for 5 minutes. I had read that laying down for 15 minutes produced better results... so I stuck around for 15 anyway.
I had a 1k deductible for my insurance. I already met that for 2014 before I even showed up at the center. Everything was covered in full by my insurance. My actual IUI cycle in 2015 cost around $450- I only know since it was January and it the first thing to hit my deductible. The sperm was handled separately and I think it was around $100.
Columbia University
[Columbia's] Strengths - they are not as expensive, accept more insurances (this wasnt an issue for us but we have heard this from others) Weaknesses - they are a research institution with zero incentives or motivation to get high success rates with SART. And this will show in every aspect of their operation - from the doctor's knowledge of personal history, to the way billing works to the time it takes for them to return a phone call even for pressing issues (BTW, they dont know the concept of email based communication).
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Not once did she know the history of our records. The last consult was the last straw for us. She had absolutely no idea about our history and spent the entire time searching for her records on her computer in fits and starts, and ended up spending hardly any time discussing our case history or customizing a plan for us.
Its a faceless factory, so there isnt a concept of a specific nurse you work with.
How was your experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
Another cog in the CWRC machine with zero personal knowledge of our case or any real motivation to pull off a successful pregnancy. To give an idea for how bad it was - here is our last visit's description (at which time we decided we are never setting foot again in CWRC) - we had completed 6 IUI cycles by then, with no adjustments made to our medication or plan (we constantly got only one follicle with each clomid cycle) - We setup time with her to figure out if we should move on to IUI. - She spent a good 15 minutes telling us curtly that we should have caught a billing/insurance screw-up that had happened with a blood test earlier in the day (nurse made a mistake with some code, we didn't catch it). - She then proceeded to spend another 10 minutes searching cluelessly through our records and complaining that someone had not organized the records properly. - when we asked for her opinion on whether we should do ICSI and whether we should do PGS with our IVF cycle and she point blank refused to answer, saying it was a decision we should make (we only asked for her expert opinion) - the consult ended at that and we didnt step foot in CWRC after.
Avoid CWRC at all costs. The only reason you go there, and i repeat, the only reason you go to CWRC is if your financial situation requires it (they are not as expensive and accept more insurance plans). If you do have to go to CWRC, avoid Dr. Rackow at all costs. She also btw, only visits CWRC in mid-town once a week for half a day - which means getting time with her for a consult is next to impossible.
Did 6 IUI cycles with Dr. Rackow and was on clomid (though they switched to a different one for a few cycles because of vision side effects). Always got only one mature follicle - never more than one - but she made no changes to the plan.
We didnt have any problems with billing
8 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
[Columbia] Operated like a factory due to the number of patients in the waiting room at any given time. But it was necessary to maintain a constant flow of moving patients . They only called u by ur first name to maintain privacy . There was never a long wait from when u were called to when the dr arrived. I do think they need to change the billing window procedure. There’s not enough privacy
8 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
As Columbia has a massive fertility dept and I saw several drs during the year and a half of IUI and IVF attemps, dr rudck always treated me as if I were her only patient. She remembered my personal situation everytime I saw her she never sugar coated anything but was never doubtful or negative either. When I conceived at 43 after one IVF treatment she told me to play the lottery! That was the only time she expressed that the odds had been against me
Fast knowledgeable warm caring encouraging
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
See previous comment. She is direct, stays neutral, is forthcoming, fresh, progressive, supportive, takes her time and talks to you, feels like a friend, routes for you. She recommend that I deliver ya NYC Langone due to my location and because they are an educational hospital
Don’t expect a dr thatsugar coats the facts. She gets to the point but with a softness because she is compassionate. She has children and with that comes empathy for the desire to want a baby. She made me feel comfortable, laugh, and stay excited
My insurance covered up to 30k in fertirky treatments and 10k per lifetime if IVF meds . My out of pocket for 8 IUIs and 1 IVF was about $13k. I did use donor Sperm so a portion of that was for receiving storage and thawing
Describe Briana Rudick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
I had 9 eggs retrieved 7 survived by day 5 only one healthy embryo was viable
Columbia University
While Dr. McConnell was sometimes in a good mood I also found her to be moody and sometimes curt to me when I asked questions at consultation appointments. After my first round of IVF i had 6 mature eggs and only 2 fertilized and they transferred one day 6 embryo. I did not become pregnant and Dr. McConnell was prepared to do the same treatment all over again. Instead, she should've suggested ICSI and a day 3 transfer (which Columbia apparently does not do). Overall, I did not feel that Dr. McConnell gave my treatment a lot of personal attention.
I was not happy with their responsiveness. If i had a question about my treatment it would take 2-3 days to get a call back, and sometimes I never got a call back. They also did not communicate clear instructions with IUI and it was very stressful.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
I was not happy overall with Dr. McConell or Columbia U. There were several steps we had to go through in order to do IVF, and we were not told about all of the steps up front and so it took longer to begin IVF treatment which was stressful. There was a long wait in order to enroll in the IVF class. It turned out my estrogen priming would begin around the time of the start date of my IVF class and when I asked Dr. McConnell for instructions she refused to give them to me and suggested that I wait another month to start. While Dr. McConnell was sometimes in a good mood I also found her to be moody and sometimes curt to me when I asked questions at consultation appointments.
estrogen priming & aggressive protocol (450 gonal f with 150 menopur) - it did work for me in that i was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve and i had 6 mature eggs. however, it did not result in a pregnancy.
there was usually a long wait; the wait was shorter in the westchester office
Columbia University
It is very efficient and it is clear it works, but it does give off a Factory feeling [at Comumbia U - Manhattan]. You go from one place to another and everything is very routine. If you are new you may feel a bit lost and confused until you figure out how the system works. For example you sign in and walk to billing first and then you have to wait to be paged into the section you are scheduled for...
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It is very efficient and it is clear it works, but it does give off a Factory feeling. You go from one place to another and everything is very routine. If you are new you may feel a bit lost and confused until you figure out how the system works. For example you sign in and walk to billing first and then you have to wait to be paged into the section you are scheduled for.
He was very honest and open about what needed to be done. As an SMC he made me feel accepted and did not judge based on my circumstances or age.
Although I saw different nurses, I felt That they all were efficient and communicated well what was expected. Many of them were friendly and would remember their patients.
How was your experience with Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
He was very experienced and took the time to explain the next steps and answer questions. He was not judgmental and very encouraging. Whenever I left a message he responded in a timely matter. Although he didn't perform my procedures he did make sure to walk me through every step and process before it occurred.
I would say that although the clinic is big and it seems like a factory being run, Dr. Zimmerman will be there to help you if you reach out.
He first did a blood test and discovered I had Beta Thalasemia trait. That helped me to pick a sperm donor that did not have that. I also had to do an HSG to make sure the Fallopian tubes were clear. I also had blood tests and ultrasounds to track and time ovulation. Finally I did the iui. After I became pregnant, he continued to monitor my hcg with bloodwork and had an ultrasound at 6 weeks before he released me.
My insurance covered most of it. However, the iui was around $800 and then I had to pay $50 to intake the sperm that I ordered.
2012 - 2013
After going to other RE's I can honestly say that I have never been to such a terrible doctors office [Columbia]. It felt more like a factory or meat market then a doctors office. I was treated as a number and received a pager that would beep with instructions when it was my turn to pay or see the doctor. It is the same kind of pager that they had at my local fast food restaurant. No one bothered to learn my name and there was very little follow through on the part of the doctors. I saw a different doctor each time I came and they were not familiar with my case. Most of the time it took them multiple days to get back to me and the nurses were the only ones to call even when a specific request was placed to speak directly with Dr. Sauer. Other than my first consultation I never spoke or heard from Dr. Sauer until I complained and told them that I was leaving to another RE. I only stayed
2012 - 2013
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Sauer at Columbia University?
Other than my first office visit I never saw Dr. Sauer. I saw a different doctor at each visit each of whom were cold and made no effort to connect on a human level. When entering the office I would sign in and receive a blue pager identical to the kind I get at my local fast food restaurant. At the fast food restaurant I don't need them to learn my name but at my doctors office I expected them to take enough interest in at least momentary learning my name during the time that they are treating me. It made the whole experience feel like a factory or meet market.
How was your experience with Mark Sauer at Columbia University?
After going to other RE's I can honestly say that I have never been to such a terrible doctors office. It felt more like a factory or meat market then a doctors office. I was treated as a number and received a pager that would beep with instructions when it was my turn to pay or see the doctor. It is the same kind of pager that they had at my local fast food restaurant. No one bothered to learn my name and there was very little follow through on the part of the doctors. I saw a different doctor each time I came and they were not familiar with my case. Most of the time it took them multiple days to get back to me and the nurses were the only ones to call even when a specific request was placed to speak directly with Dr. Sauer. Other than my first consultation I never spoke or heard from Dr. Sauer until I complained and told them that I was leaving to another RE. I only stayed with them for 3 cycles 1 medicated colmid and two clomid IUIs. After my first clomid IUI cycle I expressed concern to the doctor I saw at morning monitoring about my heightened side effects that I was experiencing. She brushed me off and asked if I wanted to have a baby or not. And there was no follow through or attempt to switch my medication to other stimulants.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Sauer at Columbia University?
I recommend that each patient is on top of their treatment plan and asks many questions before undergoing treatment to ensure it is the most appropriate plan.
Describe the protocols Mark Sauer used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
The treatment plan was 6 clomid IUIs before looking to change the protocol because that they said was standard practice. I was not treated as an individual I was treated as someone who was infertile the same way it appears others were being treated.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Sauer at Columbia University.
The cost was $500 to speak with the Doctor and $5000 for IUI.
2013
Columbia is a factory and is not well run. Their excuse is that they take so much insurance but other clinics that take insurance do a much better job from an administrative standpoint (I found out from experience)....The nurses were not helpful or nice. Total factory. You could wait on hold forever just to leave a message for someone to maybe call you back. The nurses are only available until 4 or 4.30 pm.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Columbia is a total factory and it not well run. The nurses are terrible and it is very difficult to get through to anyone. Dr. Rudick was not careful in treatment and was very imprecise in her explanations.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick was simply not a good doctor and she was terrible at explaining issues. After the first round of bloodtests I had, she left me a voice mail telling me it would be hard for me to get pregnant. She later denied saying that on the message, and said I had not understood her, but I listened to the message several times and it is what she said. It may not have been what she meant, but that does not help on a voice mail, especially when you cannot reach her easily with follow up questions. Second, her treatment was not good. When I went to another doctor for a second opinion, I found out she had missed several things in my chart. The second doctor picked up on several results from Ruduck's chart and made changes in my treatment, which got results. Dr. Rudick had the same information but didn't use it. Dr. Rudick was was pregnant when I saw her but she never said anything. It wasn't obvions when I started seeing her but she walked into one appointment clearly showing and I was floored. I felt it was very insensitive of her not to say anything about her pregnancy earlier (or at all). When I asked her when she was due she refused to tell me.
Go elsewhere.
I don't remember this information well enough.
It was covered by insurance for us.
2012 - 2013
Some [nurses] were very kind and caring, some were quiet and a little cold. They were all competent... She's a nice woman, she [Dr. McConnell] explains things well, she is never abrupt or rude. But she obviously sees a lot of patients and I doubt she'd know my name if she didn't look down at the chart.
2012 - 2013
I think she was down the middle on this. She's a nice woman, she explains things well, she is never abrupt or rude. But she obviously sees a lot of patients and I doubt she'd know my name if she didn't look down at the chart. She's very calm and I think that can come across as disinterested. I did feel like she listened to me and I feel like she always answered my questions well.
It really depended on the nurse! Some were very kind and caring, some were quiet and a little cold. They were all competant.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
She is a nice woman and a smart doctor. I appreciated that her first reaction was not to send us right into IVF. If she had said "I think you need IVF" we would have listened to her, but she felt we should try IUI first and it was the right course of treatment for us. After my miscarriages, she made sure I got all of the appropriate testing to make sure everything was okay. That being said, she's not the warmest person in the world, so if you need a doctor who will hug you, she's not it. She does listen. She does answer questions. I never felt talked down to.
The same advice I would give to anyone who needs infertility treatment: educate yourself and advocate for yourself. Dr. McConnell is smart, I did a lot of research and I never asked her a question where I wasn't satisfied with her answer. She is nice and I did feel like she cared about getting me pregnant, but she's not a super enthusiastic or warm person, so if you need someone like that, I would try a different doctor. In the end, we trusted her guidance on our treatment, and I'm glad we did.
I had four cycles of IUI. She originally recommended that we only do 3 before IVF. I took 100mg of Clomid for days 2-6, with regular monitoring and then insemination after either a positive OPK or ovidrel shot. The first cycle was a biochemical pregnancy. Second cycle was negative. Third cycle resulted in a pregnancy that was ultimately not viable (no fetal heartbeat), followed by a D&C (performed by a different doctor). Fourth cycle resulted in my son. We met with her after the miscarriage and she recommended that we continue with IUI because they were clearly working in getting me pregnant, we just needed a viable pregnancy. She also ordered recurrent pregnancy loss blood tests at that time, all came back normal.
My insurance covered all of my testing and IUIs and D&C, minus co-pays. That's one of the benefits of CWRC - they took a lot of insurance.
8 IUI, IVF
They screwed up constantly, particularly when it came to prescriptions and drug ordering. They cost us several thousand dollars out of pocket unnecessarily.
8 IUI, IVF
She's very nice. However 1.) every failure resulted in being presented statistical charts, not problem solving 2.) after being shown said charts, we were asked what we wanted to do next. We expected expertise and assertive care.
How was your experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
We did 2 IVFs and several IUIs with Dr. Rackow. One IVF was a complete failure, the other resulted in two frozen embryos that are still at CWRC. Shortly after leaving Dr. Rackow and CWRC, we successfully conceived. The issue with CWRC is that they don't test for everything, and don't communicate what they don't test for. In fact, the issues that were inhibiting our fertility were easily solvable, but during our time with Dr. Rackow and the CWRC, every failure was addressed with statistical charts (eg. You are at "X" age, therefore your IVF success % is "Y"). We were told they had tested for everything. They hadn't. We wasted three years and tens of thousands of dollars at this practice. Ultimately, CWRC are proceduralists.. They are not diagnosticians. When we returned to CWRC after having our child, we recapped the ultimate diagnosis of our fertility challenge and the response we got (from a different doctor there) was simply "We don't test for that". Well, thanks for telling us you had tested for everything.
If you get a diagnosis, great. If you get a shoulder shrug and are reminded of the statistical charts, leave. Also... Look at the fertility success statistics at Cornell and NYU (neither of which we went to for our success). They are superior.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
This clinic [Columbia University] does provide good treatment plans and care - that I feel like align well with other clinics I visited. However, it was SO manufactured. Did not feel personal at all and completely lacked any sort of human touch. I did feel confident in the quality of my care overall, but going through an emotional process with very little apparent empathy was tough....The office was like a factory. Dr. Lobo didn't actually perform any of my procedures, and on my 4th IUI, the doctor said, "This must be your first IUI - you seem nervous" Clearly he hadn't read my file. It was clear that they were trying to cycle people through as quickly as possible and I didn't trust that I would have success when the people performing my procedures weren't even familiar with my record.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
This clinic does provide good treatment plans and care - that I feel like align well with other clinics I visited. However, it was SO manufactured. Did not feel personal at all and completely lacked any sort of human touch. I did feel confident in the quality of my care overall, but going through an emotional process with very little apparent empathy was tough.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University?
Again, this whole clinic felt like a factory. People were nice enough but I might as well have been a cardboard cut-out. Nothing felt personal at all.
How was your experience with Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University?
Dr. Lobo was very knowledgeable and matter-of-fact. He told me what he recommended and set a plan in motion, and was kind but I did feel like I was one in about a million patients. My individual success didn't seem super important. Or the emotional aspect of fertility treatments.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University?
If you want good sound advice but don't care as much about a personal connection with your RE, Dr.Lobo will be great for you. Some people prefer to keep things all business and are more analytical in their approach - in this case, Dr. Lobo would be a great fit. Come as prepared as possible to your consultation - have questions ready to go, and do some research in advance.
Describe the protocols Rogerio Lobo used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
As someone with unexplained infertility, Dr. Lobo recommended 3 IUI's before moving on to IVF, but suggested that success rate with IUI would be relatively low. Since I responded well to medicated cycles, we went that route instead of injectibles. I ultimately ended up doing 4 IUI's - 2 with Clomid, 1 with Femara, and one natural because I ended up with a cyst from the Clomid. None were successful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University.
I believe that I paid approximately $300/ea. for 4 IUI's. I did have partial insurance coverage.
Describe Rogerio Lobo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
2011
The hours and processes at CWRC [Columbia Fertility] are ideal to accommodate women who need early appointments before work. Location is convenient and the scheduling and billing staff is knowledgeable and efficient. One of the unfortunate side effects is that it felt like a factory at times with little concern for the patients as people as opposed to potential statistics. Most doctors we encountered in our almost 2 years as patients at CWRC were lovely and genuine.
2011
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The hours and processes at CWRC are ideal to accommodate women who need early appointments before work. Location is convenient and the scheduling and billing staff is knowledgable and efficient. One of the unfortunate side effects is that it felt like a factory at times with little concern for the patients as people as opposed to potential statistics. Most doctors we encountered in our almost 2 years as patients at CWRC were lovely and genuine. On the other side of the coin were doctors like Dr. Guarnaccia, who was cavalier, did not take into consideration our thoughts on treatment and made us feel like he was doing us a favor. The Center lacked a human touch, but ultimately we would have done virtually anything to conceive. We gave up after emotionally exhausting rounds of fertility drugs, IUIs and IVF and conceived naturally 12 months later. The CWRC would be well served to make the process less stressful for patients by injecting a dose of compassion.
He Explained his assessment of our infertility issues with his feet up on the desk and an iced coffee in his hand. He was cavalier and generally did not seem to care beyond the center's statistics.
Efficiency.
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Dr. Guarnaccia was more concerned with maintaining the center's statistics then relating to us as human beings. He was cavalier and made light of what was a very serious issue to us. He made us feel as if he were doing us a favor gracing us with his presence. We were matched with him by the Center because we were diagnosed with secondary infertility and the person scheduling appointments at that time said she thought that he would be a good match. He barely looked us in the eye when he spoke with us. We tried to see other doctors in the practice as much as possible because we really did not think Dr. Guarnaccia had our best interests in mind when recommending treatment options - but was rather just concerned with stats of the Center.
He has the type of personality where he thinks he is god's gift to those around him. Don't expect any genuine warmth or caring.
Describe the protocols Michael Guarnaccia used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
It was routine. Fertility drugs, IUI then IVF. Not personalized but rather their standard protocol.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
The doctors and their knowledge are this clinic's [Columbia University] strengths. Communication is it's weakness. CWRC is the opposite of the standard IVF mill, so there is more specified patient care. However, it can result is a haphazardness that effects treatment options...I was assigned a Primary Nurse and a care coordinator. I was contacted most often by a different nurse. The entire staff is fine. They are not at all coordinated, which has made follow through more difficult.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The doctors and their knowledge are this clinic's strengths. Communication is it's weakness. CWRC is the opposite of the standard IVF mill, so there is more specified patient care. However, it can result is a haphazardness that effects treatment options.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
Dr. Williams took the time to listen to my concerns and learn about my specific case. He discussed in depth with me the treatment option that would work best for me and my partner, and was available to speak, usually within a day, if I requested.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
How was your experience with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
Dr. Williams is careful and compassionate, and took time and care to tailor a treatment plan. He was available to talk when requested, and was able to explain all options to help us make decisions. he also addressed possible causes of my partners infertility as well as mine.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zev Williams at Columbia University?
Be persistent.
Describe the protocols Zev Williams used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
For both cycles, Dr. Williams used oral medication instead of injectable medication because my body did not respond particularly well to the injectables, and there were other indicators that oral medications may be more successful. The first cycle resulted in three eggs in one embryo that arrested. The second cycle was not completed due to poor results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zev Williams at Columbia University.
$5,000 for partial IVF cycle
Zev Williams
Male Factor, Other
I know they are trying to fix part of the clinic [Columbia]. I was fine with the clinic. The people were friendly the clinic was clean. I wish there was more space but overall it was decent. I like that morning monitoring goes quickly so I can be in and out.... Due to my specific issues we have had to undergo, IVF early on instead of IUI, she has also required ICSI because there are concerns about the sperm. During my IVF cycle my progesterone spiked early and instead of risking losing the embryos she changed my IVF cycle from a fresh cycle to a freeze all. Her rational was that my body could potentially be out of sync and if we attempted to put one of my two embryos in we run a high risk of it not taking.
Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I know they are trying to fix part of the clinic. I was fine with the clinic. The people were friendly the clinic was clean. I wish there was more space but overall it was decent. I like that morning monitoring goes quickly so I can be in and out.
She is very understanding of my very particularity situation. She has always been available when I needed to talk to her. I feel like when she explains things to me she is actually talking to me not just spiting out information. She shows that she really cares about helping me get pregnant.
I was very happy they were able to give me the information I needed and when they were unsure they were able to get an answer from my doctor fairly quickly.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
I am very happy with her. She has been very informative and has been great to adapt my cycle when we needed to. I feel very confident that she will be the one to help me get pregnant. I'm very glad she is my doctor. I feel comfortable with her.
Be open about your situation, through out my treatment since she knows my specific situation she has been careful about certain things that she knows I am worried about. She has tailored my treatment because of this situation.
Due to my specific issues we have had to undergo, IVF early on instead of IUI, she has also required ICSI because there are concerns about the sperm. During my IVF cycle my progesterone spiked early and instead of risking losing the embryos she changed my IVF cycle from a fresh cycle to a freeze all. Her rational was that my body could potentially be out of sync and if we attempted to put one of my two embryos in we run a high risk of it not taking. So we froze all my embryos. I have under went one FET that did not work out and I will be undergoing a second FET soon.
My IVF cycle was $14,200 with anesthetist and ICSI all self pay. My insurance does not cover IVF. My FET was $4,250.
With me and my situation we both agreed that a eSET was appropriate.
Columbia University
This is a very very busy practice (Columbia) but all the staff is top notch. Nurses are compassionate, very organized and always got back to me within the promised timeframe.... if you need a lot of coddling and warm hugs you may feel a bit disappointed. However, this is a clinic that has very good success rates including difficult cases, advanced maternal age etc. They do not just treat the easier patients that bring up the ratings. The physicians of the staff are very smart, experienced, knowledgeable, courteous.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
This is a very very busy practice and if you need a lot of coddling and warm hugs you may feel a bit disappointed. However, this is a clinic that has very good success rates including difficult cases, advanced maternal age etc. They do not just treat the easier patients that bring up the ratings. The physicians of the staff are very smart, experienced, knowledgeable, courteous. And mostly they DO care about you. As with everything in life, really making the effort to build positive relationships, not antagonizing the staff for silly reasons etc. will take you a long way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janet Choi at Columbia University?
Dr. Choi is very compassionate and has a wonderful way to keep the patient informed
This is a very very busy practice but all the staff is top notch. Nurses are compassionate, very organized and always got back to me within the promised timeframe.
How was your experience with Janet Choi at Columbia University?
Dr. Choi is amazing. Her medical knowledge is very in-depth and current. Her demeanor, despite the pressure of her stressful days, always pleasant. I was her patient for several years and I always felt well cared for, listened to and kept informed. No ball dropped ever. She was always aware of every detail of my current cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janet Choi at Columbia University?
Saying that Dr. Choi is amazing is simply reductive. Trust her wholeheartedly, she is the best guide you can hope for given the circumstances. She is the rare medical professional that offers in-depth theoretical knowledge, unmatched practical experience honed through years of work at extremely busy practices and a deeply empathetic nature.
Describe the protocols Janet Choi used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
I was a patient for a few years (unexplained infertility) and we did many different cycles - from IUI Ss to IVFs with ICSI. I don't remember all the details. What I can say is that Dr. Choi is always careful to tweak the protocols to personalize treatments.
Describe Janet Choi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Columbia University
Jenn [nurse at RMA of New Jersey] is wonderful to work with. She was so quick via phone and email and was completely on top of my care. She would tell me she was going to call and remind me for certain things (like stop birth control pre treatment) and she always called for the reminder. She is very compassionate and professional.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Jenn Dwyer)
Jenn is wonderful to work with. She was so quick via phone and email and was completely on top of my care. She would tell me she was going to call and remind me for certain things (like stop birth control pre treatment) and she always called for the reminder. She is very compassionate and professional.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
I cannot say enough how lucky I feel to have found Dr Forman. We switched clinics (adding 1-2 hours to our commute) because I had read such great reviwes of Dr Forman and our high expectations were completely exceeded. Dr Forman was extremely accessible - I emailed and called him frequently with long lists of questions and he always responded thoroughly and extremely quickly. I have never before had a dr who will email directly with a patient, and Dr Forman did so regularly. My husband and I felt very confident for the first time in our journey to be parents that we had a doctor who cared about us and was giving our case very individualized care. He recommended testing that a previous doctor had not and discovered new aspects for our care. I cannot recommend Dr Forman enough - not only was I MUCH more calm during this IVF process with him than I was at our previous clinic due to his communication and patience, but we also had success with him and are currently (very early on) pregnant!
Columbia University
Strengths [of Columbia U] are the lower cost versus other clinics, and that they take insurance to cover most aspects of the procedure. They also offer a first time cycle discount which luckily for us made it more affordable....Biggest weakness is the difficulty communicating with the office at times....There was some confusion over what the process was for us to acquire the medications we needed thru our insurance....There generally was a long wait, but they have now shifted to an appointment based system.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths are the lower cost versus other clinics, and that they take insurance to cover most aspects of the procedure. They also offer a first time cycle discount which luckily for us made it more affordable. The available statistics for their success is a little bit worse than other clinics in NYC, but its hard to tell if thats because they are less selective about who they will treat. Biggest weakness is the difficulty communicating with the office at times.
While it can be tough at times to get thru to the staff there, Dr Zimmerman always made himself available and was responsive to our needs.
It's very difficult to reach them via the phone, and when you do and ask a question, its hard to get a response. In person I found the staff to always be professional and competent.
How was your experience with Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
The bottom line for me is ultimately results, and we had a successful IVF pregnancy in one cycle. We're into the third trimester and knock on wood everything has gone very well. We always felt like Dr Zimmerman was highly competent, and have nothing but positive things to say about him as a doctor.
Be patient and understand that the clinic itself is a little over worked and you will be frustrated by some things.
Our case didn't really involve too much starter.
Columbia University
It's like you're just a number [at Columbia U - Manhattan]. They're churning people through. If you need your records you need to call and talk to a receptionist and then beg them to help you get in touch with the person who's responsible. It feels very frustrating to use this clinic. I saw several frustrated patients...They would call with results and give vague messages and never respond to follow up calls and emails. They wouldn't send my chart to my new doctor until I hounded several people in the office...
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It's like you're just a number. They're churning people through. If you need your records you need to call and talk to a receptionist and then beg them to help you get in touch with the person who's responsible. It feels very frustrating to use this clinic. I saw several frustrated patients.
The office was a nightmare to deal with. They didn't answer questions, I had to call over and over again to get basic questions answered, they wouldn't send my records without being hounded. I saw people show up at the office just to ask questions because they couldn't get responses.
Disorganized. They didn't respond to frantic emails and calls for information I needed to order sperm. The nurse assigned to me simply never responded. I had to hound other nurses to get the information I needed. I didn't even know fully what all tests I had to do until I cornered someone.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
The doctor seemed fine, but I didn't see her much during the fertility testing phase. She wasn't really that involved in my care, but I thought she was clear and confident in my conversations with her.
You have to hound the clinic to get any information or responses to questions. Ask all questions when you're there.
She was mainly doing fertility testing. I changed doctors before the IUI cycle.
It was very vague and I had to hound them to understand the costs. In the end, everything was covered.
Columbia University
From the moment you walk in it [Columbia University's fertility clinic] looks and feels like a factory. With each visit you don't know who will be your doctor and when Dr G was the doctor he treated me like he had never seen me before....During my 1st IUI i was told by the nurse to wait on the 4th floor for my husband to finish. When I got to the 4th floor, a nurse yelled at me and told me I couldn't be down there. She argued with me when I tried to tell her that the nurse told me to wait there. She ended up being my nurse for that IUI. The waiting room plays HgTv on a loop, its always packed and the bathroom looks dirty and never had soap!
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
From the moment you walk in it looks and feels like a factory. With each visit you don't know who will be your doctor and when Dr G was the doctor he treated me like he had never seen me before.
Again I was there sometimes twice a week. The nursing staff isn't large. I was constantly telling them how to pronounce my name and I really don't want to see yawns and food on scrubs while i'm having my blood drawn.
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
He comes off as very arrogant and aloof. When asking me questions about past experiences he scoffed at what I had tried to do to get pregnant like he was a miracle worker.
Don't go to Columbia. Period!
IUI with Clomid 50mg and a trigger shot (Ovidrel 250mg). That was done twice and after the 2nd unsuccessful IUI i never heard a word from Columbia. No one told me how bad I would feel during and after taking Clomid. I thought I was losing my mind.
i think my total cost was $1800
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She [Dr. Janet Choi at Columbia University] worked with us to decide how many embryos to transfer. We all agreed on 2 each cycle... The front desk staff was very nice and the location of the office was convenient. The lobby could have used some redecorating but no other issues...Some [nurses] were less compassionate than others...She [Dr. Janet Choi] sent us for an immunological workup on a hunch and it was due to the addition of those treatments that we had successful pregnancies.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
We chose Columbia because they took our insurance. Our previous Dr recommended Dr Choi. The front desk staff was very nice and the location of the office was convenient. The lobby could have used some redecorating but no other issues.
She really took an interest in our case and went over and beyond to help us conceive. She listened to our concerns and offered some out of the box solutions.
Some were less compassionate than others.
How was your experience with Janet Choi at Columbia University?
Dr Choi was very compassionate with us and encouraged us to continue with treatments when we were in doubt. She sent us for an immunological workup on a hunch and it was due to the addition of those treatments that we had successful pregnancies. I always felt that I could trust her and that she had our best interests at heart. She made us fell like she would fight her hardest to make sure we had a baby.
Trust her. Ask lots of questions and be curious as to what she may be thinking. She can come up with some great ideas!
Dr Choi recommended starting off with IVF w/ PGS due to recurrent miscarriages. We had done 3 IUIs with another clinic and she was sure that we needed to move on to IVF. I can't remember the exact protocols, but know that she adjusted the meds for all three IVF cycles based on my reactions. She also referred us to a reproductive immunologist after the 2nd IVFw/PGS failed, on a hunch that there may be something there. She was right and our third IVFw/PGS was a success.
She worked with us to decide how many embryos to transfer. We all agreed on 2 each cycle.
2013
Upon checking at the center [at Columbia], I was given a buzzer like the kind you get when you are waiting for a table at a restaurant. Then I would get buzzed to billing, buzzed to bloodwork, buzzed to ultrasound, etc. I saw a different doctor ever time I went for monitoring. They generally stayed for 2-3 minutes before moving on, even setting a timer in some cases. I felt rushed to ask any questions before they left.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It felt like a factory. Please see previous comment about the buzzers and seeing different doctors every time. Perhaps that belonged here instead.
I did not feel that I received personalized care from any of the doctors I saw at Columbia. Upon checking at the center, I was given a buzzer like the kind you get when you are waiting for a table at a restaurant. Then I would get buzzed to billing, buzzed to bloodwork, buzzed to ultrasound, etc. I saw a different doctor ever time I went for monitoring. They generally stayed for 2-3 minutes before moving on, even setting a timer in some cases. I felt rushed to ask any questions before they left. We had 2 failed clinics/IUI cycles with Dr. Choi. I spoke with her after one of them. I was very upset and anxious about our fertility journey in general. She was rather cold and basically told me not to get so upset when the chances of an IUI cycle failing were rather low anyway.
How was your experience with Janet Choi at Columbia University?
Dr. Choi made very basic recommendations for my case and did not conduct a particularly thorough analysis of my fertility situation from the beginning. For example, she never raised the possibility of endometriosis or blood clotting issues, two conditions my next doctor diagnosed very early on.
We did 2 clomid/IUI cycles before moving on to another doctor. We were ready to try IVF and did not feel comfortable doing it at Columbia or with Dr. Choi.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janet Choi at Columbia University.
I don't remember and I still had insurance coverage at that point.
2005 - 2011
5 IUI, 9 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The billing [at Columbia U] was chronically a mess. The whole situation is sad and frustrating but compared to other clinics, it is cheerful and efficient. The embryologists are good. The doctors are kind....It [monitoring appts] was as pleasant as it possibly could be. You weren't there forever. It was at these monitoring appointments that I discovered that the intrauterine ultrasounds did not have to hurt....[nurses] were busy but they always knew your name and what was happening with you.
2005 - 2011
5 IUI, 9 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The billing was chronically a mess. The whole situation is sad and frustrating but compared to other clinics, it is cheerful and efficient. The embryologists are good. The doctors are kind. They helped me become a mommy
They talked to me. I was a person - not a uterus. There were choices to be made and my opinion was solicited. Words that echo in my ears to this day "We can do a lot with technology but after the transfer, which embryo will become a person is left up to G-d."
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: I know I had a care coordinator)
They were busy but they always knew your name and what was happening with you.
How was your experience with Mark Sauer at Columbia University?
He was honest and forthright. I had seen other doctors before and his manner was much softer and gentler. As the leader of the practice, he set the tone. There was no "wall of shame" to look at. There was no cattle herding. There were no awful voicemails left. People talked to you gently and with respect.
He is VERY smart. He has seen a lot and done a lot. Ask questions and you will be answered.
Lupron - Stim - HCG shot - Retrieval. That is all I remember... my children are 10 now so this was 11 or 12 years ago.
It was as pleasant as it possibly could be. You weren't there forever. It was at these monitoring appointments that I discovered that the intrauterine ultrasounds did not have to hurt.
It was totally covered by insurance
Describe Mark Sauer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
The normal protocol was to transfer up to 2 day 5 blasts. I had two good looking ones (undifferentiated cells) and one not so good looking one. He knew this was my last cycle and asked about the 3rd one. Since I had been trying for 9 years with no success, I said sure put it in - you couldn't freeze just one so there was no point. I have triplets.
Columbia University
The financial coordinator [at Columbia University] is incredibly frustrating. I’m consistently chasing her or the insurance company to get the approvals we need - which falls under her responsibility. Beyond that - I love it. Beautiful, clean, new offices. Prime location. Staff is great...We had a scheduling snafu with a sample that should have been frozen instead of tested. Generally the nursing staff is so caring and reassuring, knowledgeable and prompt. I was amazed how fast I received a call back after hours!
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The financial coordinator is incredibly frustrating. I’m consistently chasing her or the insurance company to get the approvals we need - which falls under her responsibility. Beyond that - I love it. Beautiful, clean, new offices. Prime location. Staff is great.
Dr. Forman is incredibly thorough. He takes the time to explain every process every step of the way. He also is quick to respond on email when needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Tiffany)
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr Forman is quick to respond on email - even after hours or on weekends. He’s very comforting and yet honest. I trust him implicitly. He has been very thorough describing every step of the process and reached out personally when our first retrieval didn’t go as hoped.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions!
10 days of injections followed by the trigger. (Menopur and goneril and one other). Then we did a retrieval. Eggs fertilized but didn’t mature enough to be implanted.
Medication was about $250 Sperm freezing $660 Every visit - including ultrasounds had a $40 copay
He prefers a single
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
[Dr. Briana Rudick at Columbia University] transferred two embryos in, to give me the best chance at having one successful pregnancy...Columbia is a nice facility I really have no complaints. There strength is how they communicate with their patients. I always got a prompt response when I called and left messages, or sent emails. I also liked that schedule the appointments accordingly, so that I am not waiting an hour in the waiting room for my appointment. All in all it had a good experience at Columbia.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
She's a good doctor, she really know her stuff. I felt a sense of hope when I first saw her. She was very kind, and took her time to explain everything in detail.
The nurses were nice and communicated well. They dealt with me in a compassionate way. I enjoyed working with them. They all made the whole process a little easier.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick is a good doctor. I felt completely comfortable with her. She was very thorough with explaining The procedure, and answered any questions that I had. She can be very direct at times, but I felt that she just wanted to make sure that we were on the same page with everything. I would definitely go back to her when the time is right.
She is a very thorough doctor.
Follistim which produced 19 eggs, and only 2 good embryos.
The doctor transferred two embryos in, to give me the best chance at having one successful pregnancy.
Columbia University
In my first ultra sound they discovered fibroids and recommended a different type of ultra sound. It took me three weeks to get the approval and appointment scheduled. The nurses had different information and it turned out I didn't need approval and could have gone immediately....Katrina was very thorough, however there is a disconnect between the treatment costs that she gave me and the costs that the billing department provided. She was completely unaware of the "package" that Columbia has been advertising.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Long waits and disorganized, never answers the phone. They will call you back when you leave messages, but the communication feels more like a free clinic than an established facility. The lobby is clean, but the actual exam rooms and offices are old.
He rushed me the initial conversations and seemed frustrated when I asked him questions. He seemed very frustrated when I mentioned I went to another doctor to consult about my fibroid issues, despite the fact that he doesn't treat fibroids. I got the sense that he wanted to rush into this very expensive egg freezing process for his benefit only.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina Leong)
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
He has 20+ years of experience, but for such a sensitive topic, he really had no empathy. I felt like I was being reprimanded during one of my visits.
Ask a lot of questions, probably try to see other doctors in his center.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
It's [Columbia] huge and busy. I liked some of the doctors more than others and you even up seeing most/all of them. One of the doctors made a very scary suggestion without having all of my information--luckily I was informed.... We transferred all embryos that looked good--more than typical--because of my age. We transferred five 3-day which resulted in my son.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It's huge and busy. I liked some of the doctors more than others and you even up seeing most/all of them. One of the doctors made a very scary suggestion without having all of my information--luckily I was informed.
Pamela was one nurse who went above and beyond for us in every way. We are so grateful. The clinic is busy and big and she made us feel cared for.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
I was 43 when my son was born so clearly on the high end as far as age. Re McConnell didn't give me false hope but she made judgements based on the specifics she saw with my treatment rather than simply based on my age. I was able to get a good number of eggs which increased my chances of a pregnancy. She was not frustrated by the fact that I got a second and third opinion and she was open to my suggestions. For example, she did a 5 day transfer with my first IVF and I didn't get pregnant. She was open to trying a 3 day transfer with my second IVF (resulting in may son.)
The same advice I'd give anyone undergoing fertility treatments. Be informed. Ask as many questions as you can.
Thankfully treatment was covered by my insurance which was why I was at this clinic
3 IUI, IVF
Anovulation, Male Factor
I felt that most doctors [at Columbia] involved treated me like a person and not like a number, despite the fact they saw many, many patients a day. They [the nurses] were kind and kept things upbeat, which was good since they were taking my blood seemingly every other minute.
3 IUI, IVF
Anovulation, Male Factor
I felt that most doctors involved treated me like a person and not like a number, despite the fact they saw many, many patients a day. That said, I am not someone who needs coddling or a warm fuzzy person holding my hand through everything. I'm all business.
They were kind and kept things upbeat, which was good since they were taking my blood seemingly every other minute.
How was your experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
Dr. Rackow is thorough, honest, focused, empathic, matter of fact and to the point but considerate. She listened to all of my concerns, didn't dismiss me, explained things very well to my husband and I, and allowed us to start the process with the least invasive procedure. (Which, knowing what I know now, would skip if I had to do it over.) She was responsive to my needs and was encouraging. She was very upfront about what might and might not work best. She recognized that I was laser focused about this whole process and was okay with that. I grew to love her so much that I was sad to have to leave her for a regular OB when I became pregnant after IVF. But I was ecstatic that I was pregnant!
She is not warm and fuzzy but is kind and considerate in her own way.
5 IVF, Egg Freezing
When in panic that they would discard good embryos, that they mixed up our file with someone else's, it took me 2 hours to talk to someone...
5 IVF, Egg Freezing
While doctor Lobio was our primary doctor, we met with different doctors on every appointment. Doctors were talking to us from the paper work they had in front of them and not based on a prior relation. We had 23 embryos, of which 8 seemed good enough for transfer or freezing on day 5. We had one transferred. On day six, to our surprise we learned that none seemed to be good enough to freeze. We got an impersonal call and there was no explanation, nor was anyone available for an explanation. When in panic that they would discard good embryos, that they mixed up our file with someone else's, it took me 2 hours to talk to someone who simply confirmed: none of them were good enough for storage and we didn't make a mistake. End of story...
There was no personal connection
How was your experience with Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University?
We both had a good feeling about Dr. Lobo when we started our treatment. Little did we know we would never see him again after our first meeting and had to deal with different doctors on every next appointment. Because it wasn't our first time to the rodeo and we knew what to expect and what was going on. The treatment was very "factory"-like and it felt like we were pushed through the machine with very little consideration for the psychological impact of the treatment or questions that we had along the way.
If everything goes smoothly, you are probably going to be ok. It hardly ever goes smoothly.... Consider other doctors and clinics as well.
2012
Because of these three male doctors that I saw (I don't remember any of their names anymore and don't want to guess and make a mistake), I would not go back to this clinic [Columbia Fertility] again. If I could only see Dr. Choi, I would. This is not an option, though, because it is written clearly in their paperwork that you see the doctor that is there and available.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The second IUI I had was done with two male doctors (I don't remember names) and it took them 20 minutes with both of them between my legs trying to do it. The whole experience was traumatizing and the reason why I never went back. Separately, I saw another older male doctor for an exam/check-up and he was very condescending and unnecessarily defensive (he clearly had a chip on his shoulder, even though I don't believe I said anything to provoke this). Because of these three male doctors that I saw (I don't remember any of their names anymore and don't want to guess and make a mistake), I would not go back to this clinic again. If I could only see Dr. Choi, I would. This is not an option, though, because it is written clearly in their paperwork that you see the doctor that is there and available.
How was your experience with Janet Choi at Columbia University?
I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Choi. She was very thorough in explaining different options to me. I ended up going through 3 cycles of clomid and 2 cycles of IUI. Dr. Choi did one of the IUIs and it was quick and easy (about 30 seconds).
Columbia University
The clinic [Columbia U] was extremely warm and friendly...Just options if your insurance dors not pay for IVF...I just would have liked them to follow up more and offer options if IVF isn’t affordable.... More Follow up would have been great. When I stop coming a phone call to find out how I am doing would have been great...I would like to know all my test results...People that desperately want children do not like to hear their insurance will not pay and would love other options.
Latino, Black or African-American
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Just options if your insurance dors not pay for IVF. People that desperately want children do not like to hear their insurance will not pay and would love other options. More Follow up would have been great. When I stop coming a phone call to find out how I am doing would have been great.
The clinic was extremely warm and friendly. The Doctor was straight to the point and stated the facts.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Angela I think )
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
She is straight to the point and give you the facts. There is no doubt that she knows her job and is excellent at it. I would have just to show some compassion. This is a very hard process and jus wanted to feel more at ease.
Dr. McConnell is knowledgeable so do not be afraid to ask as many questions as you need.
Many important invasive testing.
Do not recall.
Columbia University
She [Dr. Briana Rudick] is positive, upbeat and honest. I had great results from my retrieval (22 eggs) and I believe it had to do with how she handled my care. Totally stress free. Monitoring appointments can be stressful, but I always looked forward to seeing her. When we saw the baby's heartbeat for the first time, I could tell she was just as excited as we were. She was like part of our family and very much a part of our journey.
There are not enough words to describe my adoration of this woman. She is an extremely compassionate, intelligent and friendly doctor. She is very communicative and always makes time for my questions. Very responsive with phone calls and information.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
She is positive, upbeat and honest. I had great results from my retrieval (22 eggs) and I believe it had to do with how she handled my care. Totally stress free. Monitoring appointments can be stressful, but I always looked forward to seeing her. When we saw the baby's heartbeat for the first time, I could tell she was just as excited as we were. She was like part of our family and very much a part of our journey.
Dr. Rudick is great if you are looking for a warm, friendly and communicative doctor. She gets to know you as a person and you never feel like a number.
Columbia University
Columbia has changed their procedures within the time that I've been with them. It has been night and day! So much better! I am typically in and out of morning monitoring within one hour at the longest. Their new billing system is extremely organized and I like how they assign a billing person to each patient for direct communication. They also provide additional services such as a support group which I found helpful as well
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
As the head of Columbia, he was very rushed. Very informative, but not very personal.
How was your experience with Mark Sauer at Columbia University?
He's a nice guy, but he seemed too busy to be hands on with patients at the time. I was excited when I learned that I would be working with the director of Columbia, but I later learned that some of the other doctors were much better and much more compassionate.
Check out some of the other doctors available at the clinic
He urged us to transfer two
Columbia University
Timely appointments [at Columbia Univ]. And very friendly Billing department was a bit hard to get in touch with but I learned they have to deal with insurance companies. The insurance companies are the ones who need help... We started with IUI. Had miscarriage in my second one. Then we tried again for 8 more tries. Then we went to IVF. Second IVF worked
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Timely appointments. And very friendly Billing department was a bit hard to get in touch with but I learned they have to deal with insurance companies. The insurance companies are the ones who need help
Very friendly and cared tremendous felt like family
Friendly and well trained and knowledgeable
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Was like family. Trusted her with everything. She was very understanding of our situation. She didn’t make my wife and I feel uncomfortable. We used known donor sperm and she was very compassionate. She told us risks and concerns and truly was sensitive when the not so good happened. Ultimately in 2017 we had our miracle baby
She truly understands all aspects of IVF
After all days and dine appx 50,000
Columbia University
I did not love all the dr at Columbia. Sounds sexist, but the men I saw, especially the one that told me my pregnancy wasnt viable did not have a compassionate side. Found him to be really cold and rude.... Monitoring was very early and the window was small. It was important to be there at least 15 min before it began to be seen in a decent window. Getting there for 7am was stressful....
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Dr Choi is the best. I only left Columbia because she did.
How was your experience with Janet Choi at Columbia University?
Dr Choi is really compassionate and explains things in a way that is easy to understand. She has a nice bedside manner but is straightforward and to the point.
She's the best. Doesnt sugar coat things, but has a nice approach.
fresh transfer at first, and then a frozen transfer. regular protocol with meds. Only after my miscarriage was it suggested to genetically test the embryos.
My employer covered most of my care so i did not pay more than a couple-thousand for meds and against my deductible.
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
It's a large clinic [Columbia U - Manhattan] with access to a lot of resources but don't expect to much attention and support... They completely dropped the ball in this area and miscommunicated and overcharged me. I still have not been able to effectively communicate with them to correct this. They were rude and gave me the run around...It was a flurry of different faces but there was one I saw a few times and she was very kind, sadly I can't recall her name...
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It's a large clinic with access to a lot of resources but don't expect to much attention and support.
Rachel was very kind and warm.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
The doctor was nice but didn't get much contact with her. I had the chance to meet her for the initial but that was all the only other time I saw her was passing in the hall and of course she didn't recognize me .
Perhaps things would be different at a different facility but if you don't mind not having much direct contact with your doctor, go for it. If you do, go somewhere else. My friend had a great experience here but it was not a good fit for me.
4 IUI's the last 2 included Clomid
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
[During my time at Columbia University] One time I was waiting for my results on how many of my eggs fertilized and I never got a call so I called and left a message with the nurses for a doctor to call me back with my results and one of the nurses called me back and said that none had made it. I asked her why she was calling me and not the doctor at the time. This made me really upset. They just forgot about me!
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Their billing department is terrible and very rude. Make copies of everything. It takes forever to get through on thier phone line and I was consantly trying to get information, they don't tell you anything utill you owe them money
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
I had 6 fresh rounds and after the 1st round didn't stick (1 5day embryo at transfer) We decided to batch as many embryos as possible. Every round was very similar 4-8 eggs retreived with one embryo making it to a 5 day blast. One time no eggs made it. so we had 4 embryos that all all came back with genetic problems through PGS. I felt that nothing was changed in my IVF cycles and they just tried the same thing over and over. I wish they made an effort to change my meds or something.
Ask as many questions as possible
2 IUI, IVF
This clinic [Columbia Fertility] is rotational so you see whoever is on duty and all the doctors are excellent... [The staff] do a better job than most hospital nurses...Dr Lobo is excellent. He has excellent bedside manners.
2 IUI, IVF
Dr Lobo is excellent. He has excellent bedside manners. He is very knowledgable and speaks and asks questions with lots of empathy Nd yet he is very clear and precise about treatment ideas, etc.
They not what they are doing. The needle pricks are to a minimum and they do a better job than most hospital nurses.
How was your experience with Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University?
He is excellent. I got very lucky but he is just so even handed and fantastic. I had nothing g to complain about. This clinic is rotational so you see whoever is on duty and all the doctors are excellent. Dr. Lobo had explained that ahead of time and asked me if I was ok with it the first time I met him. He sets the path , the others follow and do the procedure. He would still answer all my questions and help decide a treatment path.
He is excellent. I had no complaints.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
...The other [Columbia] doctors were very kind and willing to work with me to make sure I was comfortable. Some had warmer bedside manners than others but all were great.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
She definitely got to know us well, and she and the other doctors were very kind and willing to work with me to make sure I was comfortable. Some had warmer bedside manners than others but all were great. Beth was a great listener, she explained things very clearly and seemed to judge pretty well how much detail we wanted. We found her easy to talk to and nonjudgmental.
This clinic had a clear plan they followed for making sure you had instructions and understood your next steps.
How was your experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
She was fantastic. Super smart, compassionate. Was only person who mentioned that part of my fertility problem may be related to a genetic defect - and recommended testing. She was right! Knowledgable about acupuncture and efficacy of supplements. In the end didn't need to go through with IVF as her recommendations for supplements worked. Highly recommend.
Trust that she's very smart and do not be afraid to ask lots of questions. No question is too small or insignificant.
Columbia University
[The nurses at Columbia University are] Not helpful...I fee they mistimed the iui and didn't check me regularly enough to see if I was ovulating. I had to request the scans. Also they charged me way more than I was expecting...They relied to much on me guessing that I was ovulating from my novice use of OV tests. Ask lots of questions and request that your doc perform all procedures. Also I was billed way more than expected so double check the cost of everything.
Routine procedure ....
How was your experience with Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University?
Dr lobo was great , but the rest of his practice not so good. I was disappointment he didn't perform the iui as planned. I saw a different doc each visit and I feel the other docs mistimed the procedure
Make sure you get to see him each appointment and not his colleagues
Iui unmedicated
Approx $5k
Columbia University
The clinic [Columbia University] is efficient and kind. Dr. McConnell, Karen, Chrissy, and Angela are my heroes. They are competent and caring. They make my experience at the clinic so much more manageable and stress-free...She [Dr. Rachel McConnell] is kind, brilliant, and does not rush me... will be honest with you as well as kind. She is up to date with the current research in her field. I feel safe in her hands.She knew what tests to run and was then able to help me get pregnant twice. Although they ended in miscarriages, she knows the next steps to take to ensure my next pregnancy is healthy...Don't be afraid to voice your specific fears, concerns, and needs
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is efficient and kind. Dr. McConnell, Karen, Chrissy, and Angela are my heroes. They are competent and caring. They make my experience at the clinic so much more manageable and stress-free. Thank you.
She is kind, brilliant, and does not rush me.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
She is smart and will be honest with you as well as kind. She is up to date with the current research in her field. I feel safe in her hands.She knew what tests to run and was then able to help me get pregnant twice. Although they ended in miscarriages, she knows the next steps to take to ensure my next pregnancy is healthy.
Don't be afraid to voice your specific fears, concerns, and needs
all covered by my insurance
West Harrison
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Columbia is an excellent clinic, and would be a good fit for people who respond well to the standard protocols...We saw several REs for the infertility diagnosis and liked Dr. Rudick the best by far. We are now seeking a 2nd opinion on treatment. If we hadn't liked her so much, we might have sought a 2nd opinion earlier. It's hard to be critical of doctor for being too nice.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Dr Rudick made every effort to answer all of our questions every step of the way. She was great about checking in about how we were doing emotionally, physically, and financially. She always followed up with a call if there was an issue and I saw a different doctor for monitoring.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Billing department [at Columbia] is not good. You have to double check everything. I had to wait 6 weeks for a pre approval that only takes one day to do...Staff in the city office treat you like a number...If you go to the city office you would wait at least 40 mins. Scarsdale office wait was so much better...It's impossible to get a nurse on the phone. You have to leave a message & hope they call you back the same day. Unnecessary stress if you ask me.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Billing department is not good. You have to double check everything. I had to wait 6 weeks for a pre approval that only takes one day to do.
Staff in the city office treat you like a number
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Dr Rachel McConnell is very caring. She makes you feel comfortable that she is choosing the right course of treatment for you. She is very gentle, All procedures she did were painless. She goes above and beyond.
You have to have patience with the staff.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Briana [Rudick at Columbia] had so much patience with me. She is wonderful and caring. I am a single woman going through this process alone and she has been extremely attentive. I could not ask for more....Briana is very knowledgeable and kind. She completely understands my nervousness and guides me through absolutely everything. I am extremely nervous every time I go for a visit. She relaxes me before beginning any procedure.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Great individuals working at the clinic.
Briana had so much patience with me. She is wonderful and caring. I am a single woman going through this process alone and she has been extremely attentive. I could not ask for more.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
The nurse held my hand and was very comforting.
The best
2013 - 2016
[Columbia Fertility was a] well oiled machine, for the most part....Nurses are probably the weakest link at the center. I find them to be disorganized and somewhat rigid. I've had to ask them to explain and repeat themselves to be sure I understood
2013 - 2016
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
well oiled machine, for the most part
She was lovely
nurses are probably the weakest link at the center. I find them to be disorganized and somewhat rigid. I've had to ask them to explain and repeat themselves to be sure I understood
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
How was your experience with Nataki Douglas at Columbia University?
Absolutely lovely
Don't be afraid to ask her to repeat herself or clarify something
She offered to go right to IVF but for our unexplained infertility we opted to try IUI first
First time in 2014, insurance covered all but the actual insemination. This time, they don't seem to be covering any of it
Nataki Douglas
Columbia University
The only drawback was the amount of time it takes to get an appointment, she [Dr. Rudick] has a waiting list of 1-2 months for an appointment... [My nurse] was helpful but sometimes takes a while to call you back or respond to questions.
Dr. Rudick took the time to meet with my wife and I and explain the entire process in elaborate detail both before and after the initial testing. She was always very straightforward in her information but also optimistic and positive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Don't Remember)
She was helpful but sometimes takes a while to call you back or respond to questions.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
She always made us feel welcome and comfortable while explaining the procedures that lay ahead of us. The only drawback was the amount of time it takes to get an appointment, she has a waiting list of 1-2 months for an appointment.
2012
Each session with Dr. Choi was informative, helpful, and reassuring. The only downside was that the practice was busy, and I wasn't always treated by Dr. Choi. But I definitely preferred treatments with her over the other doctors.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Busy, but efficient and organized.
Whenever I met with Dr. Choi, I felt like she really listened to my worries/concerns and tried to address them in a caring, personal way.
Felt cared for, never rushed through.
How was your experience with Janet Choi at Columbia University?
Don't expect to be treated by her 100% of the time.
Unfortunately, I can't remember those kinds of specifics anymore!
Unfortunately, I don't remember these specifics anymore. I believe my insurance covered the majority of the costs.
2 IUI, IVF
It [Columbia Fertility] is a group practice and [you] will see everyone and not just him. The whole practice is very competent [The group nurses] were very experienced... [Our doctor was] very very professorial and not interested in the business side of IVF treatments.
2 IUI, IVF
He was very empathetic, very thorough and straightforward. Very very professorial and not interested in the business side of IVF treatments
They were very experienced
How was your experience with Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University?
He is excellent. He is knowledgeable and understood my needs and urgency but did not try to push the most expensive treatments first. He explained that it is a group practice and I would see others and not just him.
It is a group practice and will see everyone and not just him. The whole practice is very competent