Genetic counseling: Offered
5 Columbus Circle
West Harrison
244 Westchester Ave
West Harrison, NY 10604
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Columbia University to a friend?

2019 - 2020
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Because of my diminished ovarian reserve, we planned to do all three retrievals [with Dr. Karipcin] back to back for batching before moving on to a transfer...has a wonderful way of making you feel seen and known. She knows your case inside and out, and is able to talk about it on the fly during appointments and procedures. She is quite genuine and makes you feel like she cares about you and is rooting for your success.
We had a very positive experience with Columbia Fertility Center. Everyone from the front desk, to the phlebotomists, to the sonographers, to the nursing staff and care coordinators were attentive, efficient, and extremely friendly. We had dozens of appointments over the course of a year and rarely, if ever, had to wait (even in the midst of the covid pandemic). The space is bright, friendly, and soothing and extremely clean. The OR is the back of the office which makes it a one stop shop. It truly came to feel like a second home (for better or for worse). There is a 24-7 emergency help line that we made use of several times. It is probably important to know that you will not see your doctor during most of your monitoring appointments and they may not be on call when you have procedures (IUI/IVF). Our case was complicated in certain ways (e.g., I have a tilted cervix which made my IUIs and some additional tests hellish) and as such Dr. K made a special effort to be there for most of our big appointments.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
We have nothing but positive things to say about Dr. K. Not only is she an attentive and compassionate person but she is also extremely competent as a doctor. We never felt rushed during our appointments and she was responsive and thorough when we had questions. She knew our case inside and out. We ran into a variety of obstacles due to my diminished ovarian reserve and egg quality issues and she adjusted our protocol accordingly - at each stage we had better outcomes than the last. Throughout our travails, she was consistently positive/optimistic yet also realistic about the possible outcomes. If we decide to have more children in the future, we absolutely plan to continue on with Dr. K and in the interim we will highly recommend her to friends and family who encounter their own struggles with infertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Our advice is not anything specific about Dr. K - we would advise new patients that this process is very likely to take longer than you anticipate and to adjust your expectations accordingly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. Karipcin (aka Dr. K) has a wonderful way of making you feel seen and known. She knows your case inside and out, and is able to talk about it on the fly during appointments and procedures. She is quite genuine and makes you feel like she cares about you and is rooting for your success.
Describe the protocols Sinem Karipcin used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
We tried for 6 months before seeking out a reproductive endocrinologist (by that point I was age 36). During that period, I had two miscarriages. I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve and Dr. K also suspected that I had some endometriosis. My husband had low sperm morphology (2%). Our sequence of treatments was in part based on our insurance coverage which required at least three rounds of IUI before moving on to IVF. As such, we did three IUI cycles – the first one natural (no additional drugs) and the second two medicated – one with clomid and one with letrazole. We had a chemical pregnancy with the first and the second two were unsuccessful. From there we moved on to IVF. Thankfully, our insurance covers three retrievals/transfers (what luck/privilege as we could not go forward otherwise). Because of my diminished ovarian reserve, we planned to do all three retrievals back to back for batching before moving on to a transfer. 1) First Cycle: Meds: 225 gonal; 225 menopur; cetrotide starting day 9 of treatment. Unfortunately, I was unresponsive. I only produced 2 follicles and Dr. K switched us to IUI instead of a retrieval. The IUI was unsuccessful. 2) Second Cycle: Meds: 150 gonal days 1-8 --> 225 gonal starting day 9; 150 menopur; clomid days 1-5; cetrotide starting day 7 of treatment. This cycle I produced more eggs and went forward with the retrieval. 8 were retrieved, 7 mature. Unfortunately, most of the eggs had empty zona pellucida (which is the outside shell). As such, only 1-2 were able to be fertilized with ICSI. None made it past day 3. 3) Third Cycle: Meds: 150 gonal days 1-5 --> 225 gonal days 6-8 --> 300 gonal days 9-11; 150 menopur; letrazole days 1-5; cetrotide starting day 9. This cycle 10 were retrieved, 7 were mature, and 5 were fertilized with ICSI. Of those, 2 became day 5 blastocysts and 3 became day 7 blastocysts. We sent them out for genetic testing and the first two tested normal. We planned to take a month off before our final retrieval and somehow, by some miracle, I got pregnant naturally and am just starting my second trimester (fingers crossed). We have one more retrieval covered by our insurance and tentatively plan to go forward in the future (with Dr. K). In the meantime, our two “good” blastocysts are on ice for the future.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda Souverain)
Varda trained me on the injections and communicated with us about our medication protocol throughout our IUI and IVF cycles. She was always available through email/the phone and was quite responsive to our questions/needs.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University.
We had incredible insurance coverage (IUIs and IVF meds were fully covered, IVF was covered at 75%). We are waiting on bills for our second IVF retrieval but I believe that we ended up paying $1,300 out of pocket for our first retrieval as well as a handful of $20 copays here and there. I believe we will be paying approximately $100/month for frozen embryo storage.
Describe Sinem Karipcin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
We have yet to get to the transfer phase with Dr. K.
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University.

2019 - 2020
[Dr. Sinem Karipcin] was personable, optimistic and realistic at the same time. I wrote that she treated me like a human because she always remember my name, my husband's name and even the purse I brought to each appointment...I felt like I was in excellent hands because she would tell me all of the statistics and even mentioned how some of the statistics were slightly different for African-American women (I'm African-American). At each appointment, Dr. Karipcin would explain next steps, remind me to stay optimistic. She didn't shy away from explaining potential complications that might arise due to my endometriosis and fibroids, but she would always remind me to focus on the positive and that we would deal with any complications as they might arise.
Columbia University Fertility is clean, the staff is professional and they are very good at providing information upfront. Once you decide to work with them, you are matched with a Care team, given their contact information and clear understand of the procedures and protocols. The New York, NY location is also very accessible by public transportation, which was important to me. The biggest bonus is that Columbia Fertility offers a monthly support group for women undergoing fertility treatments (it was also open to non-Columbia patients), which I found helpful.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. K always welcomed me with a warm smile. She has a very strong bedside manner. In fact, I noticed that she greets everyone in the clinic by name when she comes in each morning. I felt like I was in excellent hands because she would tell me all of the statistics and even mentioned how some of the statistics were slightly different for African-American women (I'm African-American). At each appointment, Dr. Karipcin would explain next steps, remind me to stay optimistic. She didn't shy away from explaining potential complications that might arise due to my endometriosis and fibroids, but she would always remind me to focus on the positive and that we would deal with any complications as they might arise.
Be sure to share all of your concerns. Dr. Karipcin will address each and every one of them. At one of our first appointments, I came in with a list of questions and concerns. She didn't let me leave until I'd written down notes/answers to each one of them. At one particular appointment, I cried while waiting to get my blood drawn. Dr. Karipcin and Nurse Varda set with me to alleviate my fears while in between patients.
Dr. K was personable, optimistic and realistic at the same time. I wrote that she treated me like a human because she always remember my name, my husband's name and even the purse I brought to each appointment. When scheduling me for morning monitoring, Dr. K and her team (Nurse Varda and Zaria) were always mindful to get me in as early as possible because I'm a teacher.
We did two round of IVF. Our regime consisted of was Gonal F, Menopur and then Centrotide. The trigger injection was Ovidrel and Lupron. Our first retrieval yielded about 8 eggs. The second retrieval yielded 15 eggs. Our IVF rounds were relatively close together (Oct/Nov 2019 & Dec 2019), the insurance company approved it and we wanted to complete them before Christmas. We did the recommended genetic testings for the embryos. So, now we have a total of 6 chromosomally strong embryos that can be transferred. Our original transfer date was postponed due to Covid. So, we did a transfer in May 2020. I am currently 16 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Varda)
Nurse Varda and Care Coordinator Zaria were extremely helpful to me. Varda was patient and answered every question in the emails I sent her. I would send emails with like 8 items and she would be sure to answer each question/concern. Zaria was thoughtful enough to call me for scheduling during my teacher breaks or lunchtime, because she knew those were the only times I was free to talk. The nursing staff, including ultrasound technician Rachel, Denaisha and Tanisha who took my blood during morning monitoring were also very welcoming, comforting, professional and funny. There was one appointment (in which we noticed that one of my fibroids was slightly bigger and this absolutely crushed me) and they reminded me to be positive, to pray and then got me focused on sports or some other topic so that I would stop crying, before heading to work. I was very thankful for them and their conversation.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Columbia University.
The morning monitoring hours worked well with my teaching schedule. It was very organized as well.
The majority of our treatment was covered by insurance. In fact, we didn't proceed until we knew it would be covered as "in-network." I usually only had to pay the co-payment. The cost of the IVF medications were not fully covered by insurance but they are now covered in New York State.
Columbia University Fertility does not do multiple embryo transfers. This is very clearly explained in the paperwork that you have to sign prior to embarking on the IVF journey. They are also clear to reiterate this around the retrieval dates. I agreed with Dr. K's approach. Due to my age at the time (36), fibroids and endometriosis, multiple embryo transfers were not recommended. Neither my OB/GYN, Fibroid surgeon, nor Dr. Karipcin recommended multiple embryo transfers.
Columbia University

Dr. Rudick was very patient with me, and was always available by email or by appointment to go through all of my questions. She made me feel like I had full control over the process, and that it was up to me to decide how aggressive I wanted to be, and the pace at which I wanted to proceed...She is also very straight forward and matter-of fact with results and reasons for those results, and she doesn't sugar-coat, which I appreciated and which added to my trust of her. When I received bad news after a few cycles back to back, Dr. Rudick sent me a very nice email and I felt that we were in this together, working toward a common goal. Al
The clinic [Columbia University] has a very calming atmosphere, and is very clean. There are plenty of seats for waiting patients, and several bathrooms. There was always water available and fresh fruit. The reception staff was very pleasant each time I arrived and check in was quick. The process during morning monitoring was consistent, and I hardly ever had to wait more than 5-10 minutes after my scheduled appointment time to be seen.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick is very professional and knowledgeable. She never pushed me to do something I was not ready to do, and let me set the pace of my treatments. When I decided to take a short break between cycles, she was very understanding. She is also very straight forward and matter-of fact with results and reasons for those results, and she doesn't sugar-coat, which I appreciated and which added to my trust of her. When I received bad news after a few cycles back to back, Dr. Rudick sent me a very nice email and I felt that we were in this together, working toward a common goal. Although Dr. Rudick was not always available at every visit, all of the doctors and nurses at Columbia were pleasant to work with. Before and during each procedure, Dr. Rudick would explain each step in detail, which helped ease my anxiety. I felt very cared for by her and the team at Columbia.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
I would tell her that she is in good hands, to trust the process, and to ask a lot of questions to ease anxiety and understand all of the details and risks. At points, it can seem like there are no answers and it is all trial-and-error, but with each cycle, more information is gathered that will lead you toward the right treatment for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
I was treated like a human, Dr. Rudick was very patient with me, and was always available by email or by appointment to go through all of my questions. She made me feel like I had full control over the process, and that it was up to me to decide how aggressive I wanted to be, and the pace at which I wanted to proceed.
Describe the protocols Briana Rudick used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
After several tests, we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility, which can be very frustrating. We decided to try IUI first. The first cycle of IUI was with Clomid, which was not successful. The Dr. switched me to Letrozole for the next three IUI cycles. I felt a lot better on Letrozole (much less bloated). Unfortunately, these cycles all resulted in biochemical pregnancies. We met with Dr. Rudick to discuss next steps, and she recommended IVF with genetic testing as she suspected a chromosomal issue in the embryo was the cause of the biochemicals. We proceeded with this recommendation, which produced two normal embryos. We transferred one of the embryos and this resulted in a positive pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Julissa Mota)
Julissa and the nursing staff were very organized and pleasant to work with. Julissa always called me and/or emailed me with results around the same time of day, the day after testing. This was very consistent and eased my mind, because I knew when to expect to hear from her. I felt that I could reach out to her if I had any questions about medications, treatments, etc. When I started my first IVF cycle, Julissa met with me and showed me how to mix and administer each medication, and gave me tips on how to organize the meds and make it easy. She also sent me links to instructional videos online. The information was very helpful and eased my anxiety. I also got to know the phlebotomists; they were always nice and would greet me and say hello when they saw me. I felt like everyone was rooting for me.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic has a very calming atmosphere, and is very clean. There are plenty of seats for waiting patients, and several bathrooms. There was always water available and fresh fruit. The reception staff was very pleasant each time I arrived and check in was quick. The process during morning monitoring was consistent, and I hardly ever had to wait more than 5-10 minutes after my scheduled appointment time to be seen.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Briana Rudick at Columbia University.
Fortunately, I had fertility coverage under my health insurance. I did have to pay some costs out of pocket up to the deductible. I also had to pay for the embryo freezing and the Genetic Testing separately, these were not covered by insurance. All in, I feel that I paid close to $8,000 out of pocket in total.
Describe Briana Rudick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Dr. Rudick recommended transferring one embryo at a time, to avoid a multiple pregnancy. We agreed on this course of action.

1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
I had Katrina and Tiffany as nurses. They did their jobs well. Even the nurses who draw blood exhibited a great standard of care. Peri, the Egg Donor Program Coordinator, is especially great. She was incredibly helpful and reliable.... I can't recommend this clinic (Columbia) enough. The only things that I would hope for other to avoid are things that they can't necessarily control. 1) Make sure your procedures are pre-authorized well in advance. Speak with your insurance yourself and know for sure that pre-autho went through.
1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr. Forman listened to my concerns and is very good with first time IVF patients. Nothing was too small for his attention and he’s always doing his best for you. He consistently went above and beyond for me the entire time I was in his care. A perfect example of this was when I had expressed how much I wanted him to perform the actual IVF procedure rather than another doctor from the clinic. The day of the procedure, it wasn’t guaranteed that he could make it but he rushed to the clinic and made it happen. I actually teared up when I saw him. These things mean the world to women who have no control over their bad fortune. He and his team understood that these things mattered and what a difference it makes when your concerns are taken seriously. Even the front desk and nurses who draw blood exhibited the same standard of care. Peri, the Egg Donor Program Coordinator, is especially great. She was incredibly helpful and reliable. I can’t recommend Columbia University Fertility Center enough.
Describe the protocols Eric Forman used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
I do not have a uterus but still have my ovaries. IVF, creating and freezing embryos and using a gestational carrier was the only strategy. It was all pretty straight forward for everyone. I declined using birth control because I had LH test strips to tell me approximately when my first day of cycle would be. He then monitored my blood work until we knew when to start everything. My injectables were Menopur, Gonal F & Cetrotide.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina)
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I can't recommend this clinic enough. The only things that I would hope for other to avoid are things that they can't necessarily control. 1) Make sure your procedures are pre-authorized well in advance. Speak with your insurance yourself and know for sure that pre-autho went through. 2) One of the third party companies that they work with, Igenomix that is used for PGS testing, relies on your IVF doctor to explain things that I believe should be their responsibility. The only thing that the clinic can do to help avoid a lot of frustration when it comes to finding out your results from Igenomix is to explain to their patients that 1) Currently, NY state law does not does not allow companies like Igenomix to disclose mosaic results 2) Explain that mosaic results from Igenomix are handled differently and how. 3) Interpret the results from Igenomix completely for the patient before they try to do it for themselves with an Igenomix rep. Again, all things that I believe Igonmix should explain before someone uses their services considering it has to do with their results and the service that your paying them to do, not the clinic. Igenomix should be saying, “You should know that that NY State law prevents us from disclosing information about mosaics…”, “this is how we outline our results. we conclude mosaic embryos are also abnormal embryos so you wouldn’t use them anyway… (paraphrasing that last part… that’s not exactly right)..”, “This is how you interpret our results, here is an example”.
3 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Rackow explained all of the testing and treatments beforehand and made every effort to do my ultrasounds and procedures if she was in the office on the days I was scheduled to come in. She personally called me on several occasions in the evenings to discuss results with me, tactfully give me good and not so good news, and help me figure out next steps based on my (our) personal goals and needs.
Weaknesses [at Columbia University]: Could be better at advising patients when to stop stimulation for egg retrievals if it isn't looking like many eggs will be retrieved. My first stimulation cycle was poor and they should have counseled me to stop it and adjusted the protocol before a 2nd try (they did adjust for the 2nd try). They informed me of what was happening, but having never undergone treatment before, I didn't understand how poorly I was responding. I really should have been counseled to stop.
3 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
Dr. Rackow was very responsive throughout my treatments, she did not just stick with the status quo if something wasn't working for me (4 egg retrievals, 2 embryo transfers using my own eggs). She changed protocol when the first egg retrieval didn't yield many eggs (we added clomid which helped me immensely), and she changed the embryo transfer protocol to natural with a trigger shot when the first transfer didn't work. The natural cycle with trigger worked perfectly for me and I did not have to take those dreadful intramuscular progesterone shots, a win. She did my early pregnancy ultrasounds with this successful transfer and I was pleased that she could do them personally.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
Dr. Rackow is part of an excellent, efficient team. Remember, you are entrusting your fertility care to a large, busy fertility clinic where the doctors have certain days they are in the office and are in charge of procedures. Other days they are assigned elsewhere. This means you may/may not get your main doctor for every procedure or check. If you want a 1 doctor experience, consider a small clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
Describe the protocols Beth Rackow used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
For all egg retrievals I did high dose injectables, and for 3 out of 4 I also used clomid, which helped me release (?) significantly more eggs. In all, I ended up with 4 PGS-tested embryos, one did not make it with the first transfer, the second successfully implanted. I have 2 frozen embryos remaining for possible future use. For the first embryo transfer, we did a traditional medicated cycle that did not result in a positive test. For the second embryo transfer, we did a natural cycle with a trigger shot. This worked great for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Melissa Podalak)
Melissa was very responsive to my questions and always gave me results and next steps the same day. She wrote detailed emails with instructions and also called me with more complicated/new directions and preparations for procedures.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths: Teamwork, efficiency, one stop shop for (almost) everything. Clarity on results and next steps. Weaknesses: Could be better at advising patients when to stop stimulation for egg retrievals if it isn't looking like many eggs will be retrieved. My first stimulation cycle was poor and they should have counseled me to stop it and adjusted the protocol before a 2nd try (they did adjust for the 2nd try). They informed me of what was happening, but having never undergone treatment before, I didn't understand how poorly I was responding. I really should have been counseled to stop.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth Rackow at Columbia University.
All but the last egg retrieval and embryo transfer were covered by my insurance.
Describe Beth Rackow's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
We both agreed on a single embryo transfer.
Beth Rackow
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University.

1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, Other
Dr. Rudick only allowed for 1 single embryo to be transferred. I did ask for 2, but she informed me of the health risks and I am glad I listened...so supportive and explained every detail to the fullest extent in a manner that I could understand. I never felt rushed or pressured or taken advantage of...was very clear, honest, and detailed in explaining everything about the IUI and IVF process. I never felt as if any of my questions went unanswered. She is very knowledgeable and skilled in offering the best treatment options for your individual needs. She did video meetings with me during Covid and helped ease any worry about my cycle. I f
Julissa [nurse at Columbia University] was fantastic at guiding me through the whole process. She explained everything about my medications and even video chatted with me to show me how to inject. I never felt as if my questions went unanswered. She has a great personality and is very warm...The clinic is very clean and modern with the most advanced technology. You will feel like you have found the right place for treatment as soon as you walk in the door. I think being part of Columbia University makes them able to offer the latest tech and cutting-edge medical treatment.
European, South Asian
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Doctor Rudick was very clear, honest, and detailed in explaining everything about the IUI and IVF process. I never felt as if any of my questions went unanswered. She is very knowledgeable and skilled in offering the best treatment options for your individual needs. She did video meetings with me during Covid and helped ease any worry about my cycle. I feel she is very approachable, professional and a straight shooter. I would recommend her to anyone in need of fertility treatment.
Be sure to start your fertility treatments as soon as you think you might need help. The process can take longer than one might think. It has nothing to do with Dr. Rudick's skill, but more to do with the cycles and your body. You should not expect that you can just walk right in and get pregnant within a month...it takes time. Please be patient and listen to everything Dr. Rudick says, follow her instructions perfectly and you should get the results you desire.
Doctor Rudick and her staff were so supportive and explained every detail to the fullest extent in a manner that I could understand. I never felt rushed or pressured or taken advantage of.
I 1st did IUI ONLY because IVF wasn't covered by my insurance. For that I was put on BC, Clomid and did a trigger shot. This was after having an HSG and unblocking a tube. -Then I did IVF when my insurance covered it, I was on Menupur injections, cetrotide, and gonal injections, did the egg retrieval, did genetic testing of embryos, did transfer....positive pregnancy, still taking estradiol pill and progesterone oil injections until week 10.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Julissa Moto)
Julissa was fantastic at guiding me through the whole process. She explained everything about my medications and even video chatted with me to show me how to inject. I never felt as if my questions went unanswered. She has a great personality and is very warm.
Copay

2019 - 2020
After six unsuccessful IUI attempts [with Dr. Rudick], we moved onto IVF. We had one egg retrieval round that did not yield viable eggs. For the second egg retrieval, Dr. Rudick increased the dosages of the medication I was taking daily...The second retrieval yielded a higher number of eggs and several that were viable. For the transfer, Dr. Rudick explained a the pros and cons of a medicated versus natural cycle and the possible steps that would follow in the case of a positive or negative outcome. We chose a natural cycle, knowing that if it was unsuccessful, we would have the option of taking a medicated course of action.
I can't say enough wonderful things about Julissa Mota and the coordinating staff who work with Dr. Rudick [at Columbia University]. Her whole team and the entire team at Columbia Fertility are incredible communicators, very organized and super compassionate. It has been such a pleasure to feel their presence on this journey.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
As a patient, Dr. Rudick was always accessible even when I did not see her for routine morning monitoring appointments. I knew that she reviewed my results and I trusted her prescribed courses of action. As we graduated from monthly IUIs to more complicated procedures such as egg retrievals, polyp removal, and embryo transfers, there was a big shift in our relationship: I saw Dr. Rudick more frequently and she went out of her way to schedule my procedures so she would be the doctor performing them. On the occasion that she could not be there to perform a procedure, she emailed me ahead of time to let me know she was thinking of me and my partner. For a patient who had never been through this process, that was everything. In recovery, Dr. Rudick popped in to say hello, to see how I was feeling and to answer any questions. At the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, all procedures had to stop at Columbia Fertility. During this period, I was concerned that we would lose too much time and that it would seriously impact our chances of having a baby. Once again, Dr. Rudick was not shy about being in touch with her patients and being honest about next steps. It was incredible. .
My advice would be to always have an agreed upon course of action and to make it specific. This is advice I would give for any patient working with a doctor.
First and foremost, my partner and I could not be happier with Dr. Rudick. From our first meeting with her, we knew that she was personable, professional, intelligent, and compassionate. She is a very warm, empathetic doctor who truly cares for her patients. In a city like New York where so many woman are trying to conceive, it's challenging to be there 100% of the time for every single patient. It's important to understand that fact before beginning this process. Still, Dr. Rudick emails with her patients directly, and usually very quickly. She also has a tone that let's you know she understands what you're going through, good or bad. Of course, Dr. Rudick can't possibly email all of her patients individually with test results for each and every appointment, which is where her staff of nurses steps in and delivers the same level of care and clear communication as Dr. Rudick.
We started with monthly IUIs before insurance would pay for IVF coverage. Dr. Rudick explained that this was standard, but I wish we could have skipped over some of these cycles. At one point, Dr. Rudick suggested that I undergo a back-to-back IUI (two days in a row) because she thought the internal environment was ideal. It was not successful, but this accelerated our timeline by one month. After six unsuccessful IUI attempts, we moved onto IVF. We had one egg retrieval round that did not yield viable eggs. For the second egg retrieval, Dr. Rudick increased the dosages of the medication I was taking daily. I experienced significant physical changes from the increased dosages, which I took as a good sign. And it was! The second retrieval yielded a higher number of eggs and several that were viable. For the transfer, Dr. Rudick explained a the pros and cons of a medicated versus natural cycle and the possible steps that would follow in the case of a positive or negative outcome. We chose a natural cycle, knowing that if it was unsuccessful, we would have the option of taking a medicated course of action.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Julissa Mota, RN)
I can't say enough wonderful things about Julissa Mota and the coordinating staff who work with Dr. Rudick. Her whole team and the entire team at Columbia Fertility are incredible communicators, very organized and super compassionate. It has been such a pleasure to feel their presence on this journey.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths: Flexibility in scheduling, Follow-up communication Location Hours of operation Open door policy Caring and compassionate phlebotomists, nurses, insurance coordinators, appointment coordinators, and doctors. Weaknesses: Sometimes it was unclear where I was in the approval process with the insurance company. There were occasions when I received emails with instructions the night before a procedure and they were clearly written for a heterosexual couple, so it included instructions for "specimen collection."
IUI procedure ($550 per cycle) x 6 cycles = $3,300 IVF meds = $200 Retrievals: $1,000 Hysteroscopy: $550 Donor Sperm: $4,000 Transport fees: $200 Total: $9,250 (roughly)
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University.

2019 - 2020
We finally decided to start treatment again in NY with Dr Forman and the first test he did was ERA to check why I had to FET that failed in the past .... results: I needed one a day of medication! He took the time to go over everything and realized that was the piece of the puzzle missing from the other clinic!...I have to say that Dr Forman took the time to explain everything in details and he would even email us when he was not in the office to check if we were ok or congratulate us for the results. The treatment we received was excellent. Before going to Columbia I was treated by a fertility clinic in NJ and I could definitely “feel” the difference between clinics. I did not mind driving all the way from to NJ even for a morning monitoring because I knew I was in good hands and when you go thru this you want to make sure your Doctor is the best !
My nurse [at Columbia] was Christine and she was excellent... took the time to explain things in detailed and always answered all my questions (I had a lot!) My case coordinator was Gertrude and she was great! Always a smile on her face and making sure we were ok!...The clinic was excellent! Always trying to schedule my appointments according to my needs considering I was coming from NJ and phone calls or emails were answered right away!! The technology and everything on yo ur application make things easier for patients!
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
No words can express how grateful I am to have Dr. Forman and his amazing team care for me during my IVF journey. Everyone was so caring and detail oriented every step of the way. Dr. Forman collaborates with the patient and the nursing/lab team to provide efficient, timely results. I would highly recommend this center for any friends and family wishing to start a family. Dr Forman takes care of his patients in a way that I have never seen it before. He will email/call even when he was away just to check on us!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Listen to him and don’t doubt him... he definitely knows what he is doing. But even if you have any questions, he will always answer you!
Dr Forman was my first IVF doctor in NJ but the. He moved to NY. We figured we could stay in the NJ clinic because it would be the same ... we were wrong! We finally decided to start treatment again in NY with Dr Forman and the first test he did was ERA to check why I had to FET that failed in the past .... results: I needed one a day of medication! He took the time to go over everything and realized that was the piece of the puzzle missing from the other clinic!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine A. Helbo )
My nurse was Christine and she was excellent... took the time to explain things in detailed and always answered all my questions (I had a lot!) My case coordinator was Gertrude and she was great! Always a smile on her face and making sure we were ok!
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University.

2018 - 2020
We only saw her [Dr. Briana Rudick] a few times before we started the IVF cycle. She treated us like number and talked down to us. When we asked her questions, she wouldn't answer us directly or at all. English isn't my first language. So when I asked her questions, she would say "what's the matter!?" "I don't understand what was your question?!" - With a louder voice and an attitude. It made me feel really stupid and lower my self esteem! I had to look at my husband like I did something wrong?!. Before we started the cycle, we didn't see her to discuss about the plan. I had to email her and ask what's her protocols for this cycle she had for me. When I started the injection, I only saw her once at the first day of ultrasound visits then she went on her vacation. My husband gave good sperm samples none of them were frozen. Then he came down with most likely Coronavirus which destroyed hi
[The nurses at Columbia University] are great team and take good care of me...We had to cancelled our IVF cycle at the day my egg retrieval. We ended up doing egg freezing with us paying out of pocket...The clinic is nice and clean. The staff are very nice, friendly and professional. We were treated like a human at the clinic. There're many patients in and out every time we visited the clinic, but we never had to wait so long on each visits.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
She's arrogant and disrespectful. Obviously did not care. The result showed! We were planing to finish up the IVF cycle with covered insurance, but we ended up doing egg freezing with paying out of pocket. My husband was super sick right before my egg retrieval. She didn't explain that it could effect his sperms and would result a failed fertilization procedure. As an experienced doctor she could have him freeze his sperms for a back up before I started my injections. At the point it was too late. We ended up freezing my eggs with no fertilization. We also had to pay out of pocket even though we had the insurance cover for the whole IVF procedure. [Husband's perspective] Rudicks complete inability to communicate effectively is off putting but not the end of the world. If she was a good Dr, and did her job. Starting an IVF cycle while on vacation without having a frozen sample as a back up? During Flu and Covid seasons? That is just incompetence! This turned an insurance covered IVF procedure into an out of pocket egg retrieval procedure. This cost us thousands of dollars, but more importantly many precious months.
Listen to your patient and you're not smarter than anybody.
We were under care of Dr. Rudick since 2018. We only saw her a few times before we started the IVF cycle. She treated us like number and talked down to us. When we asked her questions, she wouldn't answer us directly or at all. English isn't my first language. So when I asked her questions, she would say "what's the matter!?" "I don't understand what was your question?!" - With a louder voice and an attitude. It made me feel really stupid and lower my self esteem! I had to look at my husband like I did something wrong?!. Before we started the cycle, we didn't see her to discuss about the plan. I had to email her and ask what's her protocols for this cycle she had for me. When I started the injection, I only saw her once at the first day of ultrasound visits then she went on her vacation. My husband gave good sperm samples none of them were frozen. Then he came down with most likely Coronavirus which destroyed his sperms for 3 months. We did not find any of this out until I began my cycle and had no recourse. The Dr. who was on vacation and shown no interest in our procedure created no safe guards. We started with our insurance covered IVF cycle and ended up paying out of pocket for egg freezing. Not a procedure we had any interest in doing. All of this was preventable. [Husband's perspective] Rather than understanding our questions she lectured us on topics we already knew about. And ignored the things we actually needed to know. She would completely ignore me while I was in the room. We would then have to spend hours translating everything among ourselves and make follow us calls to the office trying to figure out what she's talking about. Odds of success and probabilities are a big part of IVF. Planning our lives and budget around our chances. Fortifying our emotions to possible outcomes. Rudick spoke to us as though we could not comprehend this topic. Repeated questions led to only frustration. I taught statistics on college level. We can keep up!
We started with Follistim 225 units and Menopur 1 vial daily for 3 days, then added Genirelix 250 mg on the forth day. I injected those for 6 days and injected the Pregnyl 10,000 unit vial trigger shot and took Doxycycline 100mg tablets on day 7. My egg retrieval was on day 8. I was hoping to retrieve 13-15 eggs as I was diagnosed with great numbers of follicles and the hormones level. The first couple of days after the injections my eggs were growing in great numbers and sizes, but times went by some of my eggs grew bigger faster than others. Dr.Rudick told our nurse while she was on her vacation to had me continue the same dose medications. Because some of my eggs were mature and they didn't want them to over mature while other eggs were still tiny, so we had to finish the medication and I had my egg retrieval on day 8 with 10 eggs retrieved and 9 of them were mature for freezing.
They are great team and take good care of me.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
We were covered by our insurance for IVF cycle except the genetic testing and embryo storage. We had to cancelled our IVF cycle at the day my egg retrieval. We ended up doing egg freezing with us paying out of pocket.
We agreed to do a single embryo transfer, but we hadn't gone that far. We ended up the cycle with egg freezing.

4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I trusted Dr. Forman's suggestion on transferring a single embryo for my first IVF cycle and it was successful...was always kind, respectful, and took his time explaining all procedures to my husband and I. He never made us feel rushed at any point, and he took his time to answer all our questions. He made sure we understood the pros and cons of all the procedures before they were done...goes above and beyond to provide quality care for his patients. He always addresses my question and concerns since our very first meeting. He explains all procedures in detail and makes sure you understand the pros and cons before it is done. He never forces any procedures on you, he suggests it, gives you all the information, and lets you decide if you want to take that approach. Because of the quality work and great advice from Dr. Forman, I now have a healthy baby boy.
Nurse Christine[at Columbia University] is amazing. She always delivers the results by phone or email as soon as it becomes available. She is also available to answer any questions or concerns, if not she usually gets back to you as soon as she can...Overall, Columbia fertility is a wonderful place. As you exit the elevator you are greeted with friendly smiles from the front desk employees which makes you feel welcome. The office is bright, clean, and comfortable with complimentary refreshments. The wait time to be seen is very short.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
There aren't enough words to describe how amazing Dr. Eric Forman is. He is kind, very compassionate, extremely knowledgable, great communication, and he handles all procedures with great attention and care. Dr. Forman goes above and beyond to provide quality care for his patients. He always addresses my question and concerns since our very first meeting. He explains all procedures in detail and makes sure you understand the pros and cons before it is done. He never forces any procedures on you, he suggests it, gives you all the information, and lets you decide if you want to take that approach. Because of the quality work and great advice from Dr. Forman, I now have a healthy baby boy.
Ask all the questions.
Dr. Forman was always kind, respectful, and took his time explaining all procedures to my husband and I. He never made us feel rushed at any point, and he took his time to answer all our questions. He made sure we understood the pros and cons of all the procedures before they were done.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine Helbo)
Nurse Christine is amazing. She always delivers the results by phone or email as soon as it becomes available. She is also available to answer any questions or concerns, if not she usually gets back to you as soon as she can.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Forman at Columbia University.
Insurance covered the cost
Describe Eric Forman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.

2019 - 2020
During that retrieval, Dr. Forman did a scratch test to see if there was any inflammation in my uterine lining. There was a few plasma cells found, so I took an antibiotic for that. We also went back and figured out which protocol provided my thickest lining and we decided menopur and Gonal f would gain the best lining for me...was ALWAYS available. Whether it was to vent or ask small questions, there was always an email in return. He goes above and beyond for his patients. I traveled in from northern NJ to see him and he was always considerate for that too.
She [nurse at Columbia] constantly returned my phone calls to answer all my questions and keep me calm. I can’t say enough good things...Columbia is gorgeous! Everything is clean and everyone when you walk in is friendly and helpful. Every one who ever drew my blood got to know me and made me feel super comfortable. The sonographers were informative and knowledgeable. I was always able to get in contact with someone to answer my question.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
The level of contact and patience he had for me as a patient goes above and beyond any other doctor I’ve ever seen. From the moment we met, I felt totally comfortable and respected any decisions Dr. Forman suggested as my course of treatment.
Ask questions and always be your own advocate no matter who your doctor is.
Dr. Forman was ALWAYS available. Whether it was to vent or ask small questions, there was always an email in return. He goes above and beyond for his patients. I traveled in from northern NJ to see him and he was always considerate for that too.
For all 3 IUIs we did letrozole to stimulate follicles. Then I was the one who volunteered to proceed to IVF. For the first egg retrieval, we used menopur and Gonal F. Then we added centrotide and triggered with HCG. For those frozen transfers, we did estradiol to thicken my lining and then progesterone in oil. After 1 miscarriage and 2 failed transfers, we decided to do a second egg retrieval. This was the same protocol. During that retrieval, Dr. Forman did a scratch test to see if there was any inflammation in my uterine lining. There was a few plasma cells found, so I took an antibiotic for that. We also went back and figured out which protocol provided my thickest lining and we decided menopur and Gonal f would gain the best lining for me. This was a natural cycle that I triggered a follicle and used progesterone suppositories instead of the oil. That’s what did the trick!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
Christine and Gertrude are also amazing people. Christine is always so happy and positive. She constantly returned my phone calls to answer all my questions and keep me calm. I can’t say enough good things about these two women. They’re super respectful, professional, and compassionate with patients.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I have amazing insurance as a teacher so everything was covered except for genetic testing of embryos and cryopreservation. The biopsy was $2500 per retrieval and $100 per month for storage.
I always wanted to have one child at a time and Dr. Forman is a big advocate for it, so it was perfect for us.

1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
As a physician myself, I was impressed with both Dr. Brady's clinical knowledge and competence as well as her empathetic bedside manner. If there was a setback, she would break the news in a sensitive and empathetic way, but at the same time come up with solutions to address the set-back.... I was able to email her directly with any questions (which I feel is rare with most physicians), and she would typically respond within 24 hours and answer any questions I had in detail.
The facilities at Columbia IVF are clean, well-designed and very organized. The staff including nurses and secretaries are polite and responsive to patients' needs. The physicians I saw at the clinic were excellent both in terms of clinical competence and bedside manner. The embryologists I met were professional and careful in their handling of my embryo from what I saw during my transfer.... PGS $2,500, Cyropreservation (annual) $1,200, Anesthesia $500, Igenomix PGS fee $750.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
As a physician myself, I was impressed with both Dr. Brady's clinical knowledge and competence as well as her empathetic bedside manner. If there was a setback, she would break the news in a sensitive and empathetic way, but at the same time come up with solutions to address the set-back. I did not have Dr. Brady do the egg retrieval because of a conflict in my work schedule, but she did do the egg transfer. I was extremely nervous about the transfer because I ended up with only 1 genetically normal embryo after PGS screening, but I was impressed with how carefully and smoothly she preformed the transfer. The embryo ended up implanting, and I am now in the 2nd trimester of pregnancy!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paula Brady at Columbia University?
I would advise patients in general to ask their IVF doctor about their chances for success with each cycle given their individual circumstances. We did not discuss this in too much detail, and I did not think to push for more information on my chances of success because I was so focused on just starting treatment. I was 38yo when I did the egg retrieval. 12 eggs were retrieved, 7 fertilized, 3 embryos made it to day 5 and only 1 embryo was genetically normal after screening. I was surprised and disappointed that this was considered a good result for my age. I was expecting and hoping to have at least 2-3 good embryos. Every doctor wants to paint the most optimistic picture possible so I think it's important to ask about the worst outcomes too so you can prepare yourself and not be overly disappointed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
I found Dr. Brady to be warm, empathetic and patient, and I felt very comfortable under her care. I was able to email her directly with any questions (which I feel is rare with most physicians), and she would typically respond within 24 hours and answer any questions I had in detail. She would also call me directly herself with any important news and offer to talk about anything I wanted over the phone if email wasn't sufficient.
Describe the protocols Paula Brady used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Gonadal F (225 IU), Menopur (225 IU) and Ovidrel were used for egg retrieval. To prepare for the transfer I took estradiol 2mg BID and progesterone IM injections nightly. I continued the estradiol and progesterone injections until the 10th week of pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina Leong)
The nurses explained the instructions well both verbally and through email. They were responsive to any questions I had.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Monitoring appointments were scheduled for a specific time, but they were flexible at the same time. So if I needed an earlier appointment, they would easily accommodate that. I would typically get there at 7am, and my wait would be no more than 10-20min.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paula Brady at Columbia University.
PGS $2,500, Cyropreservation (annual) $1,200, Anesthesia $500, Igenomix PGS fee $750. The rest was covered under insurance and required $50 copay for each clinic visit.
Describe Paula Brady's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
We only had one good embryo, so we did not have any other choices. But Dr. Brady said that she would still prefer eSET in my case any way.

Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr Williams treats each patient like he was treating his wife or daughter. He is kind, patients and truly cares. He is easy to talk and one can tell that his mind is brilliant. He takes the time to call you with results even if it’s 10pm to help alleviate any happy/sad news. ... Williams as he is a master in early pregnancy loss. He diagnosed me with endometriosis and pcos. As a result he began by monitoring my cycles and started a medications routine.
We missed IUIs [at Columbia] due to “forgetting” we needed blood work before. ... The nurses who draw blood and morning monitoring are amazing. Sometimes there is a long wait in the am. The coordinators and the doctors personal nursing staff have very poor communication within each other which resulted in a lot of unnecessary anguish and anxiety for both my husband and myself. We had to call the emergency line more than 5 times to get our medication called into the pharmacy.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zev Williams at Columbia University?
Whether it’s Dr. Williams or any other doctor, it’s really important to advocate for yourself and don’t be afraid to ask questions and share your needs.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
Dr. Williams is so patient and compassionate. I have yet to meet a doctor who values his patients ideas and feedback. He takes the time despite being the head of the research and is the fertility director.
Describe the protocols Zev Williams used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Because my husband and I got pregnant naturally two times and it ended in molar pregnancies we decided to seek dr. Williams as he is a master in early pregnancy loss. He diagnosed me with endometriosis and pcos. As a result he began by monitoring my cycles and started a medications routine.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Alissa )
The care coordinator was amazing. But there were many mistakes and anxious moments from mishaps due to miscommunication between them. A lot of mishaps
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The nurses who draw blood and morning monitoring are amazing. Sometimes there is a long wait in the am. The coordinators and the doctors personal nursing staff have very poor communication within each other which resulted in a lot of unnecessary anguish and anxiety for both my husband and myself. We had to call the emergency line more than 5 times to get our medication called into the pharmacy. We missed IUIs due to “forgetting” we needed blood work before.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zev Williams at Columbia University.
30K+
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
I wrote it up in the past post
Zev Williams
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Zev Williams at Columbia University.

IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Karipcin expressed genuine concern with our level of comfort at each stage of the process. She was beyond patient with our countless questions and had a terrific knack for distilling complicated medical processes using easy to understand analogies. She was always available, and quick to respond when spur of the moment questions came up. She made us feel supported every step of the way, and we really couldn't have dreamed of better care.
we did a natural FET cycle [at Columbia University] so as to avoid using additional hormone treatment when there was no empirical evidence that it would be beneficial given our circumstances. And for us: it worked...The staff was friendly and the facilities modern and clean at every visit. We consistently felt well cared for when we visited (which was often). No weaknesses stand out.
IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
She was always honest with us about the chances for success while also explaining things in such a way that we knew she was setting us up for a positive outcome in every way possible. Dr. Karipcin exuded a genuine concern for us and our comfort level and made us feel cared for and human- not just "another patient." We went in expecting it to be a stressful process but having her in our court made it all so much easier than expected (because we trusted her and knew she had our best interests at heart at every turn).
Don't hesitate to ask your questions- she really wants you to feel comfortable, even if it means explaining something in multiple ways on multiple occasions.
I know that we did a natural FET cycle so as to avoid using additional hormone treatment when there was no empirical evidence that it would be beneficial given our circumstances. And for us: it worked.
They were excellent and also made us feel cared about throughout the process.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The Columbia clinic was excellent. The staff was friendly and the facilities modern and clean at every visit. We consistently felt well cared for when we visited (which was often). No weaknesses stand out.
We had good insurance coverage so this didn't stand out. They were great about handling the billing with the insurer.

2017 - 2020
5 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
He [Dr. Lobo] does not email patients. Will only call you when you request a call. Unfortunately, I miscarried the only embryo I had left and its happening during Covid. He was not helpful or comforting to help me make decisions about a D&C. ... I am disappointed that he didn't go the extra mile to make sure My next steps were squared away.
1. I decided that I would take a break over the Dec holidays. We agreed that I should call in January when I got my period. I called in January and i was told they [Columbia University] were closed for maintenance. No one thought to tell me. Perhaps I would have not taken a break in Dec but perwasn't given that choice b/c no one thought ahead. 2. I had two frozen embroys. One did not surive the thaw. I was told that was bad luck and only happens 5 percent of the time. I miscarried the other. 3. I miscarried during Covid and no one could set a plan for a D&C for a 5 days and had to wait 8 days after no hearing an heartbeat to get a D&C.
2017 - 2020
5 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University?
He does not email patients. Will only call you when you request a call. Unfortunately, I miscarried the only embryo I had left and its happening during Covid. He was not helpful or comforting to help me make decisions about a D&C. In fact, he said one thing and the nurse said the other. I am now communicating with the head of the practice. I am disappointed that he didn't go the extra mile to make sure My next steps were squared away.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University?
Make sure you have your questions lined up and your follow up questions and do not feel intimated if you get the sense you are being rushed. Keep talking until you are comfortable with the next steps of care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University?
Dr Lobo followed up with phone calls but besides that it was the nurse that managed my case.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Melissa )
She was fine but again wasn't helpful during the miscarriage. Nurse and doctor not on the same page and led to more upsetment
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
they are organized. no surprises with prices. Communication is ok. I was a month behind bc no one told me that the lab was closing for maintenance. you will not see your Doctor at every visit. Possible that will not do any of the procedures either. They are really just reviewing the case.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University.
I have GHI. Most was covered. I paid 2500 for embryo biopsy for each round. I paid PGS testing directly to the lab.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
1. I decided that I would take a break over the Dec holidays. We agreed that I should call in January when I got my period. I called in January and i was told they were closed for maintenance. No one thought to tell me. Perhaps I would have not taken a break in Dec but perwasn't given that choice b/c no one thought ahead. 2. I had two frozen embroys. One did not surive the thaw. I was told that was bad luck and only happens 5 percent of the time. I miscarried the other. 3. I miscarried during Covid and no one could set a plan for a D&C for a 5 days and had to wait 8 days after no hearing an heartbeat to get a D&C.
Rogerio Lobo
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Rogerio Lobo at Columbia University.

2019 - 2020
Dr. Forman has a calm, dry manner of presenting information. Personally, I appreciated that, as I found it very clear, but I could imagine someone else finding it slightly cold. My advice would be to get to know the doctor and give him a chance. ... Dr. Forman clearly explained all options. He patiently answered our questions. He was available to answer follow-ups over email, and responded to those very quickly. He was compassionate at all of our visits. I was glad that he was able to do the egg retrieval.
On the whole, I found everything [at Columbia University] very well run. My only note is that I needed to follow up on prescriptions being called in on time on two occasions. ... My primary nurse is Christine Helbo. She has been a great help--responsive and dealt with issues with the pharmacy in a timely way to make sure there was no interruption of my medication protocol. My care coordinator Gertrude Wilfred was professional and compassionate. Very well organized, and kept everything running smoothly. The rest of the staff--nurses, doctors, phlebotomists, technicians--were all very professional, helpful, and kind.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr. Forman has a calm, dry manner of presenting information. Personally, I appreciated that, as I found it very clear, but I could imagine someone else finding it slightly cold. My advice would be to get to know the doctor and give him a chance. He is a very kind and thoughtful person, just a bit of an introvert. :)
Dr. Forman was happy to explain everything about the treatment to me and to discuss our expectations. He also helped schedule treatments around my work travel schedule. He is always available to answer questions over email.
We first tried IUI with Clomid and Ovidrel. The second IUI we used Letrozole (and Ovidrel for trigger). Both were negative preg tests. Given my age (38) and my partners sperm quality (not horrendous, but not great), we then moved on to IVF. For the stimulation, we did Follistim (150/night) and Menopur (75/night) for 7 days (Follistim was upped to 200/night for the last three days). For the 6th and 7th days, I also took Ganirelix. On day 8, I did my trigger shot, and retrieval was morning of day 10. I think part of the rationale for the doses was my good ovarian reserve/AMH levels. 8 eggs were retrieved; 4 were mature; 2 were fertilized; and 1 made it to day 5 (blastocyst, good morphology). We did PGT for that one and it was normal. (Now just waiting for treatments to begin again before transferring.)
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is very well organized. I have heard negative descriptions from former patients, but my experience has been positive. On the whole, I found everything very well run. My only note is that I needed to follow up on prescriptions being called in on time on two occasions.
My insurance covered about half of IUI costs. I believe out-of-pocket costs were about $450. For IVF, my insurance didn't cover anything. Cost estimate was ~$17K for monitoring, retrieval/lab, cryo; ~4K for FET; PGT was paid to a separate lab ($250/embryo+shipping).
Dr. Forman's recommendation was for eSET, in part because we did PGT. We agreed with that approach.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
Unclear if it was the clinic or the pharmacy, but a prescription wasn't called in on one occasion.

PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. Paula Brady] used ICSI and embryos were frozen as I suffered from hyper stimulation during the retrieval phase. Hence, transfer was done after one and a half month...she followed a very regular monitoring regime throughout the process...transferred single embryo as she advised it to be safe for us...She takes care of her patients at a very personal level and treats you more than a patient. She listens all of your problems carefully and try to resolve them, even the minutest of issues. She often called me personally on issues which may not be of great significance but in order to make me comfortable, she would always call me and reply my emails even on Sundays. Whenever, I used to contact her thinking of something as a huge issue, she would not only address it but made me comfortable. Throughout the procedure, she was with us as a doctor at a very personal level. She always welcome questions and makes her patients comfortable. She makes the whole procedure very comfortable, memorable and enjoyable. She ensures that she captures every moment of the journey for her patients. She is a wonderful fertility doctor and treats her patients with compassion and love and she is a real gem.
The clinic [Columbia University] is open even on holidays and weekends and they would never postpone anything scheduled for a given day. The wait time was minimum and staff was very friendly. The only small weakness I found was at times, there was a bit long waiting time for the after office hours emergency helpline...She [nurse] followed up on daily monitoring and briefed us about the ongoing process and next steps and would convey directions of the doctor. She was easily accessible...used ICSI and embryos were frozen as I suffered from hyper stimulation during the retrieval phase. Hence, transfer was done after one and a half month. Besides, she followed a very regular monitoring regime throughout the process.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
I wish I could rate her on a scale having numbers way greater than 10. She is above any scale that can measure her professionalism, dedication, commitment, concern, care and love for her patients. She studies her patients in depth and personalize the treatment based on each individual as she does not consider her patients as a number but as a human, who needs special care and attention. She would never ignore even the slightest of issues you are facing while going through the treatment. Throughout the process, I emailed her quite frequently on very basic issues and she would always address them in a polite way and often, I would receive a call from her personally addressing the issue. She makes the patients very comfortable, for example, I was having pain of injections and she resolved it in a very effective way. She takes the patient along on what is best for the patient professionally and she guides the patient on each and every issue although I know that most clinics and doctors never go in such details. We saw many fertility doctors for the last eleven years and went through many fertility treatments and emotional traumas and for most of the doctors, I was just a number and in time of failure, it was quite casual for them. However, Dr. Brady addresses very minute details like daily scans and readings quite seriously and would discuss with us. She is a very knowledgeable doctor and knows her work very well and then take her patients along that plan.
I would advise to trust Dr. Brady as she knows her work, being competent and knowledgeable and follow her each and every instruction very religiously, including timings and all other dos and dont's.
Dr. Brady is an excellent consultant and above all, a wonderful human being. She takes care of her patients at a very personal level and treats you more than a patient. She listens all of your problems carefully and try to resolve them, even the minutest of issues. She often called me personally on issues which may not be of great significance but in order to make me comfortable, she would always call me and reply my emails even on Sundays. Whenever, I used to contact her thinking of something as a huge issue, she would not only address it but made me comfortable. Throughout the procedure, she was with us as a doctor at a very personal level. She always welcome questions and makes her patients comfortable. She makes the whole procedure very comfortable, memorable and enjoyable. She ensures that she captures every moment of the journey for her patients. She is a wonderful fertility doctor and treats her patients with compassion and love and she is a real gem.
She used ICSI and embryos were frozen as I suffered from hyper stimulation during the retrieval phase. Hence, transfer was done after one and a half month. Besides, she followed a very regular monitoring regime throughout the process.
She followed up on daily monitoring and briefed us about the ongoing process and next steps and would convey directions of the doctor. She was easily accessible.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is open even on holidays and weekends and they would never postpone anything scheduled for a given day. The wait time was minimum and staff was very friendly. The only small weakness I found was at times, there was a bit long waiting time for the after office hours emergency helpline.
The doctor transferred single embryo as she advised it to be safe for us and we had no issue with that.
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University.

2018 - 2020
Dr Brady strongly believes in single embryo transfer and made that clear in our initial IVF consultation...is compassionate clear and a honest with great bedside manner. I feel great under her care however she isn’t the doctor that always sees me when visiting...always makes sure we are comfortable with next steps before pursuing a treatment plan. She is optimistic but realistic which works well for my specific needs...Retrieved 4 eggs (no surprise at all that was predicted) 3 fertilized, one made it do day 6 blast Sent for PGS testing and is genetically normal Banking before transferring
[Columbia University is] Organized efficient friendly and well run...The billing department and insurance issues were a bit confusing and I didn’t feel like I had enough support on that end...I wish I’d get to see my specific dr at visits...Nurse and care coordinator are efficient but kind...The nursing staff is extremely efficient and professional but very kind and friendly...Work up bloodwork to check AMH,FSH levels and AFC since there was concern for DOR.
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
Dr Brady is a confident doctor who immediately put us at ease. She is compassionate, clear and a great communicator. Her bedside manner is wonderful and always makes sure we are comfortable with next steps before pursuing a treatment plan. She is optimistic but realistic which works well for my specific needs.
Understand that you are receiving care at a clinic and not a private practice
Dr Brady is compassionate clear and a honest with great bedside manner. I feel great under her care however she isn’t the doctor that always sees me when visiting.
Work up bloodwork to check AMH,FSH levels and AFC since there was concern for DOR. Once that was determined IUI with trigger was suggested Cycle pushed off several times due to hormonal imbalances Semen analysis MF diagnosis Oral medication trigger IUI resulted in negative Semen analysis One more IUI recommended before moving on resulted in negative Recommendation IVF/ICSI Estrogen patch luteal priming 250 gonal F 225 menopur Trigger Retrieved 4 eggs (no surprise at all that was predicted) 3 fertilized, one made it do day 6 blast Sent for PGS testing and is genetically normal Banking before transferring
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Initially Karen but now Katrina )
Nurse and care coordinator are efficient but kind The nursing staff is extremely efficient and professional but very kind and friendly.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Organized efficient friendly and well run The billing department and insurance issues were a bit confusing and I didn’t feel like I had enough support on that end I wish I’d get to see my specific dr at visits
My insurance covered monitoring appointments and blood work as well as IUI All IVF expenses were Out of pocket Retrieval medications genetic testing total of 20K

2020
We only met [Dr. Paula Brady] once during the initial consultation. It was immediately clear that she placed me in a specific category based on very preliminary information. Maybe I caught her on a bad day but she did not have much bedside manner and was not very positive. There's reality and then there's just negativity...she responded to very few emails. It is very difficult to accurately rate someone with whom I had minimal contact. All follow-ups were handled by her team who were exceptional and the reason I stayed with Columbia Fertility.
Katrina [nurse at Columbia University] is outstanding. She follow-ups on every question and on any concerns. you might have. Dr. Brady's entire team is quite exception and definitely are a BIG part of her success. They make the experience with this fertility center well worth it...They are punctual and efficient. Some are friendlier than others but all are professionals. The weaknesses for me include the front desk: If a patient completes the electronic check-in why do they still have to provide their information again in this open setting. One representative is always friendly but the other not so much. She often seems annoyed. The other weakness is often feeling like just a number. I understand that they have a lot of patients but the experience is very individual. Having your dream realized should not be greeted with a certain layer of coldness and commonality when it is anything but that.
2020
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
Again, I only saw her once and she responded to very few emails. It is very difficult to accurately rate someone with whom I had minimal contact. All follow-ups were handled by her team who were exceptional and the reason I stayed with Columbia Fertility.
If you want to have more direct interaction with her, you should voice this early on. This way if she cannot oblige, you know from the onset and can make an informed decision.
We only met once during the initial consultation. It was immediately clear that she placed me in a specific category based on very preliminary information. Maybe I caught her on a bad day but she did not have much bedside manner and was not very positive. There's reality and then there's just negativity.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Destiny)
Katrina is outstanding. She follow-ups on every question and on any concerns. you might have. Dr. Brady's entire team is quite exception and definitely are a BIG part of her success. They make the experience with this fertility center well worth it.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The strengths include their coordination. I never experienced a long wait with any appointment. They are punctual and efficient. Some are friendlier than others but all are professionals. The weaknesses for me include the front desk: If a patient completes the electronic check-in why do they still have to provide their information again in this open setting. One representative is always friendly but the other not so much. She often seems annoyed. The other weakness is often feeling like just a number. I understand that they have a lot of patients but the experience is very individual. Having your dream realized should not be greeted with a certain layer of coldness and commonality when it is anything but that.
Only for co-pays and for blood work that was sent to the wrong lab.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
that first cycle of IVF [with Dr. Grossman Becht] went really fast. My body seemed to have taken immediately to the medication; however after retrieving 7 eggs, only 2 embryos were good. I know she had the intention of switching things up for the second round of IVF but she left before we could start it...She was not a proponent of multiple embryo transfers...we were told that with advances these days, you only do multiples if you want to have multiples. It wasn't like before when doctors encouraged multiple embryos to ensure having one good birth.
Varda [nurse at Columbia University] was kind and supportive. Her email communications were not always intelligible but she was always happy to jump on the phone and clarify...The costs were outlined and explained to me on my very first consultation. My insurance covered 75% of everything...open 365 days a week and has early monitoring hours (7am). The entire staff was friendly and kind. The facilities were new, bright and welcoming. It is easy to get to on public transportation. Their labs come in quickly and you get a phone call or email the same day to tell you results and next steps. The accounts receivables team is also very competent and efficient. When I was confused about a bill, the agent was able to explain it to me so that I understood and then very kindly offered to set me up with a payment plan.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lisa Becht at Columbia University?
Dr. Grossman was a clear communicator, had a kind voice and face and really made us feel optimistic and safe in her care. She didn't always perform procedures but touched base with us. She was a great doctor and we were sad so see her go when she moved to California.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Becht at Columbia University?
Don't be shy about asking her anything. She's a clear communicator and she's happy to answer your questions. And she has a way of making you feel calm and reassured.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Becht at Columbia University?
Dr. Grossman has a pleasant demeanor and my husband and I were immediately put at ease when we spoke with her. She answered all our questions and she reviewed our previous test results. We were so sad when we heard halfway through our treatment that she was leaving the practice to head another one in California.
Describe the protocols Lisa Becht used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
I don't remember any of the treatment strategies but I just remember that that first cycle of IVF went really fast. My body seemed to have taken immediately to the medication; however after retrieving 7 eggs, only 2 embryos were good. I know she had the intention of switching things up for the second round of IVF but she left before we could start it.
Varda was kind and supportive. Her email communications were not always intelligible but she was always happy to jump on the phone and clarify.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Columbia Fertility is open 365 days a week and has early monitoring hours (7am). The entire staff was friendly and kind. The facilities were new, bright and welcoming. It is easy to get to on public transportation. Their labs come in quickly and you get a phone call or email the same day to tell you results and next steps. The accounts receivables team is also very competent and efficient. When I was confused about a bill, the agent was able to explain it to me so that I understood and then very kindly offered to set me up with a payment plan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Becht at Columbia University.
Describe Lisa Becht's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
She was not a proponent of multiple embryo transfers and we were not that interested in that anyway. We asked questions about it and considered it but we were told that with advances these days, you only do multiples if you want to have multiples. It wasn't like before when doctors encouraged multiple embryos to ensure having one good birth.
Lisa Becht
Columbia University

Don't rush to conclusions if she [Dr. Sinem Karipcin] appears very clinical. She is a very warm and sweet person. She is dedicated and competent...Dr. K. decided to change my treatment and drugs from what my previous doctor had done, so that my eggs would grow at an equal rate and there wouldn't be a variety of mature and not mature eggs during the retrieval. After that cycle of IVF rendered no good embryos, she changed things up again. Then we got 1 good embryo from that. Dr. K performed the embryo transfer and we are currently in our 5th month of pregnancy.
Everyone at Columbia was extremely friendly and compassionate, from the front desk receptionists to the technicians taking blood, to the nurses and care coordinators...When we tallied all the costs, after insurance we spent about 15K out of pocket. During our very first appointment, we talked to a financial adviser who clearly outlined the costs of all the procedures, ones covered and ones not covered, with our kind of insurance. We were satisfied with the outcome and the 15K was worth every penny.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
My husband and I met Dr. K after our previous doctor at the practice moved to California. We liked our previous doctor and were a little apprehensive about have to switch doctors, after we had successfully produced 2 embryos with our other doctor. Dr. K was very clinical when we first met her. She went over and explained some of the lab results that the previous doctor had done, which he hadn't seen before. She appeared very knowledgeable and while we might not have completely understood everything she was talking about, she definitely knew what she was talking about and that made us feel secure. Once treatment started, Dr. K was much more personable and human. She was very much invested in my treatment. She answered my emails promptly and was there during the major events in the treatment. By the end of the treatment, Dr. K was a trusted ally. My mother even came to our last appointment to thank her in person for all her help.
Don't rush to conclusions if she appears very clinical. She is a very warm and sweet person. She is dedicated and competent and that is what you want during a time like this.
I felt like a human. Dr. K at first was very clinical when we first met her. I think she was trying to be reassuring that we were in competent hands and that she knew a lot. We definitely felt like she knew what she was talking about. She went over the work ups and the previous egg retrievals we had undergone with the doctor she was taking over from. As the treatment progressed, she warmed up much more and I got to know her better at every blood or ultrasound appointment. If she wasn't the one doing the ultrasound, she would go out of her way to come in and look at the results before I left. She was very invested in my treatment. Once we graduated from the IVF treatment, my mother came to see her to thank her in person. We all hugged and took pictures. She is a special person and an amazing doctor.
I can't remember everything but I do remember that Dr. K. decided to change my treatment and drugs from what my previous doctor had done, so that my eggs would grow at an equal rate and there wouldn't be a variety of mature and not mature eggs during the retrieval. After that cycle of IVF rendered no good embryos, she changed things up again. Then we got 1 good embryo from that. Dr. K performed the embryo transfer and we are currently in our 5th month of pregnancy.
Everyone at Columbia was extremely friendly and compassionate, from the front desk receptionists to the technicians taking blood, to the nurses and care coordinators. Varda was very personable and sweet. At times she was a little difficult to follow. Her emails sometimes contained typos or odd sentence structure which required follow up phone calls to make sure I understood what she was talking about. She was always available for clarifications.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
When my husband and I arrived at Columbia University, we were impressed with the offices and suites. It is a bright, clean, and welcoming place. The running of the office is very efficient. You never wait too long for routine blood work and ultrasounds. The hours were convenient (7am appointments). They are also open 365 days a year even on New Year's day. The nurses call or email you with next steps within the day. The medication orders are sent to the specialty pharmacy seamlessly. It's really a wonderful place.
I believe her approach was to lean towards single embryo vs. multiple embryo, which was what we wanted too. She was very up front when we asked her about our chances of conceiving after the transfer was done. She offered to do an exam that would test my uterus to see if there was anything that might impede the transfer from being successful. We ended up not going with it. We just did the transfer and it worked.
Columbia University

Before doing another transfer, she [Dr. Sinem Karipcin] decided to test my uterine lining a step that felt like it was delaying us further and felt unnecessary. They discovered that I had endometritis which can take months to treat...When I finally tested negative for endometritis we got the green light from her that we could move forward with our 3rd embryo transfer. the day before our transfer Dr. Karipcin was nearly giddy telling us that she had chosen the best embryo for tomorrows transfer and she seemed as excited as we were!...She asked me and my husband personal questions about our travel plans, life, family. She took the time to get to know me and then REMEMBERED my answers and asked followup questions on later visits!
[Costs at Columbia University] Egg retrieval ~$17K...embryo transfer ~$5K...storage / freezing ~ $2K a year...Very clean, professional, efficient. It's like a beautiful well oiled machine. For first time patients, I would speak up if you have questions about the morning monitoring process! It can be daunting and overwhelming to start fertility treatment, and it is easy to forget what the next step is! They are always a call / email away to help...Nursing staff was attentive, organized and never made me feel like a "number" . Even something as routine as getting my blood drawn over and over, they always referred to my by name, complimented me, asked me personal questions, and gave me tips / tricks to make my blood drawing experience more enjoyable (which I always appreciated because I was usually tense!)
European, East Asian
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. Karipcin is from Turkey and English is her second language. I was honestly biased at first and hesitant to try her. These were my own prejudices in my head, and once I was able to overcome that - I came to really appreciate and love her as my care provider. She made my husband and I laugh and never trivialized our process or journey (took up 4.5 years to get pregnant). She always respected our work / time constraints and never made us feel guilty about living very active and busy lives. Dr. K exuded confidence leading up to our transfer which definitely rubbed off on us! I believe it was Dr. Karipcin's positive and warm bedside manner that made our 3rd transfer more calm, positive, and successful than the previous two.
Don't judge her by her accent. She is very capable, caring and knowledgable.
When taking over my treatment from another Columbia doctor, Dr. Karipcin took the time to get to know me and my fertility past. She din't just rush in (even though I was impatient). Before doing another transfer, she decided to test my uterine lining a step that felt like it was delaying us further and felt unnecessary. They discovered that I had endometritis which can take months to treat. I was very frustrated and discouraged after this diagnosis. Following diagnosis I went through 4 rounds of antibiotics and uterine biopsies to try and get the inflammation of my uterus to go away. The process was long and daunting. When I finally tested negative for endometritis we got the green light from her that we could move forward with our 3rd embryo transfer. the day before our transfer Dr. Karipcin was nearly giddy telling us that she had chosen the best embryo for tomorrows transfer and she seemed as excited as we were! During the transfer my retroverted uterus was hard to see/ find on the monitor, so rather than guiding the catheter with the visual help of the ultrasound, she did unaided transfers off of feel and her past training at Cornell! We are now 8 weeks pregnant and going strong!
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Egg retrieval ~$17K embryo transfer ~$5K storage / freezing ~ $2K a year medications ~$500 - $2K depending on stage
Dr. Karipcin said that due to my age, general health and past transfer success (none thus far) she wanted to continue to transfer one egg vs two.

2017 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Williams took more of a clinical approach with us and I did not feel like they were playing a numbers game or just going through the motions with us. We walked through our plan by steps. ... It was never a check the box feeling I had when working with this office. I also felt that Dr. Williams viewed my health as a priority. ... Dr. Williams took a step back and ran test after test until we were comfortable with moving forward. I also felt that the office walked me through everything to make sure I understood the procedure.
The office [Columbia University] has done a wonderful job of keeping to schedule. I never had to wait more than 10 minutes during morning monitoring, even when there was a full waiting room. Staff always had smiles on their faces and you get to know the nurses well. ... I found it much easier to communicate with my nurse via email and would receive responses within 24 hours. ... They communicate all updates in a timely fashion.
2017 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
Dr. Williams was exactly who we needed after an unsuccessful attempt at IVF with another clinic. Dr. Williams took more of a clinical approach with us and I did not feel like they were playing a numbers game or just going through the motions with us. We walked through our plan by steps. It was A to B. When we got to B we stopped assessed and moved to C. It was never a check the box feeling I had when working with this office. I also felt that Dr. Williams viewed my health as a priority. After my third miscarriage (2 natural, 1 IVF), another clinic said I should jump right into another cycle. I felt like something was missing and I needed to know that I was okay. Dr. Williams took a step back and ran test after test until we were comfortable with moving forward. I also felt that the office walked me through everything to make sure I understood the procedure. At another clinic I was told to watch youtube videos to figure out some stuff. It was just a different experience for me, and I feel lucky to have found Columbia when I did.
Dr. Williams is extremely sought out and very busy, but I never felt that he didn't get back to me. When I was going through setbacks, Dr. Williams would call me personally just to check up on my mental well being - he really truly cares. If I was unable to get a hold of him, my nurse was able to get the information I needed.
The office has done a wonderful job of keeping to schedule. I never had to wait more than 10 minutes during morning monitoring, even when there was a full waiting room. Staff always had smiles on their faces and you get to know the nurses well.
Dr. Williams stopped an IVF cycle Day 8 into meds as he felt I could get better results with a different attempt, so we switched to IUI that month. When we were ready for another IVF round, I was put on Chlomid, Menapur and Follistim. I never really had a reaction to meds, but this go around with the addition of the Chlomid I was super tired - exhausted. I never felt hormonally out of control, just tired and sleepy after the Chlomid so I started taking it right before bed instead of the morning.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
The staff at the office were very nice. I found it much easier to communicate with my nurse via email and would receive responses within 24 hours.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Its in a new space - spacious and very clean. I always felt comfortable during my visits. If you see a packed waiting room, don't fret, they are very organized and I never waited for monitoring more than 10 minutes. If I were waiting for my doctor that was a bit different and if they were running late they always told me. They communicate all updates in a timely fashion.
Cost of IVF with ICIS, PGD and transfer was around $22,000. Medication costs were approximately $5,000 per cycle.
Zev Williams
Columbia University

[Dr. Rudick's] very knowledgeable and compassionate considering how many patients are under her care. I like her personality and that she’s always there to answers all of our questions which we had many. My previous doctor was impossible to communicate with and I love that I can just email Dr. Rudick with any question I have. This definitely have reduced my anxiety in this process...She will not make you feel rushed... I had 20 eggs retrieved and 5 embryos were tested pga normal so that was an amazing outcome...we will likely transfer one embryo since we did pga testing on them.
I had 20 eggs retrieved and 5 embryos were tested pga normal [at Columbia University] so that was an amazing outcome...Julissa [nurse] is always there to answer questions via email. And they were super thorough when explaining how to administer shots to make sure we knew what we were doing...Never had an issue scheduling an appointment at the time it was convenient for me... No wait time...Absolutely zero stress which is really important when going through something like this. The phlebotomists are also amazing and never had an issue getting my blood drawn.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
She’s very knowledgeable and compassionate considering how many patients are under her care. I like her personality and that she’s always there to answers all of our questions which we had many. My previous doctor was impossible to communicate with and I love that I can just email Dr. Rudick with any question I have. This definitely have reduced my anxiety in this process.
She will not make you feel rushed so feel free to ask any questions you have.
At my first retrieval we used 150 gonal f and 150 menopur with an hcg trigger which produced only two embryos- one day 6 and one day 7 so we decided to go for a second round of retrieval hoping for a better outcome. The second time we did estrogen priming and 225 gonal f and 150 menopur with a Lupron hcg combination trigger. I had 20 eggs retrieved and 5 embryos were tested pga normal so that was an amazing outcome. Waiting for my FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Julissa)
Julissa is always there to answer questions via email. And they were super thorough when explaining how to administer shots to make sure we knew what we were doing.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It’s amazing. No wait time. No problem scheduling at the times I want to come in. Absolutely zero stress which is really important when going through something like this. The phlebotomists are also amazing and never had an issue getting my blood drawn.
It was great. Never had an issue scheduling an appointment at the time it was convenient for me.
I’m still not finished with my treatment. And I’m also using insurance.
Not up to this part yet. But we will likely transfer one embryo since we did pga testing on them.
Columbia University

Dr. Brady has been adamant about transferring one embryo at a time for the health and safety of both me and my future child. At this point, I only have 2 frozen embryos left and one didn't make it to the blastocyst stage until day 7 which apparently means it's of lesser quality. Dr. Brady previously mentioned transferring those last 2 together...has taken the time to really get to know me. She remembers everything that is going on with me, including in my life outside of fertility treatments, and checks in with me personally. I email her often with questions and she is always prompt to reply. When I had my first miscarriage, she seemed almost as upset as I was and offered a much needed hug. She is just personable and authentically human.
Monitoring [at Columbia University] occurs from 7am until 9:30am, 7 days a week...carries all the state-of-the-art equipment and it is a beautiful office. I don't think I would ever leave this clinic. All the doctors are super knowledgeable and professional and the rest of the staff is so friendly and warm. They all know me by name at this point and they seem genuinely interested in talking with me. The office is also very efficient. I never wait very long at all for morning monitoring or procedures. Everything about this place is great and I can't imagine going anywhere else.
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
I absolutely adore Dr. Brady. She is so thorough and thoughtful, always considering what more we can do to achieve a healthy pregnancy. She treats me as an intellectual equal and answers all my questions without ever rushing me or making me feel like my questions are silly. She was new to the clinic after my first round of IUI and I am so grateful to have switched to her care. I feel like she is fully invested in my case and always up to date on the latest research. Of all the doctors I have seen at the clinic, she is the most warm and personable. I seriously can't say enough about her. She is absolutely the best.
Ask all the fertility questions you have ever had! She will answer all of them!
Dr. Brady has taken the time to really get to know me. She remembers everything that is going on with me, including in my life outside of fertility treatments, and checks in with me personally. I email her often with questions and she is always prompt to reply. When I had my first miscarriage, she seemed almost as upset as I was and offered a much needed hug. She is just personable and authentically human.
With my first round of IUI, the Clomid caused ovarian cysts that took a while to go away. After that she switched me to Letrozole and I had no problem with it. When I began IVF, she monitored my follicles closely and raised the dose of Gonal-f and Menopur as she felt necessary. Considering my low reserve, I had a good egg yield during that cycle so she kept my doses the same during the next one. After my first round of IVF, I waited to do a frozen transfer and it didn't take so after the second round, we did a fresh transfer. All along Dr. Brady has been recommending that we do genetic testing of the embryos but we declined because of cost. In my first pregnancy, we had heard a heartbeat at 7 weeks and everything was proceeding normally. Then, when I went in for my last appointment with the clinic, Dr. Brady discovered at that time that the baby's heart had stopped beating. In disbelief, I asked the next day if she could check again and she invited me in and even had another doctor take a look. She recommended a D&C and testing of the contents of conception. The results of the testing showed that the baby had trisomy 9. I was grateful to know this as it helped bring closure to the loss. After that, Dr. Brady proceeded with additional testing (including additional blood panels and an endometrial biopsy) to make sure we cover all our bases before doing another transfer. I just lost my second pregnancy very suddenly at 6 weeks and when I informed Dr. Brady, she asked me to bring in the tissue I had passed so she could send it off for testing. She wants to schedule a meeting with my husband and I next week to discuss additional genetic testing and how we can try to prevent additional miscarriages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
Karen was my nurse until she left just recently. She always provided very clear instructions and seemed very caring. Her replacement seems a little less warm and less clear about instructions but I will see how she does moving forward.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
When I was a new patient, the clinic was just moving to a newly renovated penthouse office in the same building. The new clinic carries all the state-of-the-art equipment and it is a beautiful office. I don't think I would ever leave this clinic. All the doctors are super knowledgeable and professional and the rest of the staff is so friendly and warm. They all know me by name at this point and they seem genuinely interested in talking with me. The office is also very efficient. I never wait very long at all for morning monitoring or procedures. Everything about this place is great and I can't imagine going anywhere else.
Monitoring is super easy and fast. Monitoring occurs from 7am until 9:30am, 7 days a week. I am particularly grateful for the early hours because it takes at least 45 minutes to get from the clinic to my school (I am a teacher) and I can still make it to work on time if I go in at 7am. Since everyone at the clinic is always so pleasant and friendly, it's not a bad way to start the day. They really make it painless to have to get up a little earlier to go to a monitoring appointment before work.
Each procedure has been different so it's difficult to say what each cost has been. Also, my insurance covers some parts of treatment. So far, we have spent around $5,000 total.
Dr. Brady has been adamant about transferring one embryo at a time for the health and safety of both me and my future child. At this point, I only have 2 frozen embryos left and one didn't make it to the blastocyst stage until day 7 which apparently means it's of lesser quality. Dr. Brady previously mentioned transferring those last 2 together so I am going to follow up with her about that the next time I see her.