5 Columbus Circle
244 Westchester Ave
West Harrison, NY 10604

2020 - 2021, Successful
Investment Banker
[Dr. Forman] asked lots of questions about both my and my husband's medical history, and also made an effort to know more about us on a personal level...was very realistic with expectations and direct in the way he communicated with us, while also demonstrating empathy and compassion. His responsiveness to emails and phone calls, and the office's quick turnaround time in communicating results also helped take some of the stress and anxiety out of an already stressful process.
Christine and the other nurses at Columbia were wonderful. They are extremely communicative and always available to answer questions. All of the staff at the clinic from the phlebotomists to the ultrasound technicians were caring and kind. The morning monitoring process was extremely smooth and ran efficiently...Convenient location, bright, clean office...Some minor billing issues...
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
In our first appointment with Dr. Forman, he provided a thorough overview of Columbia's fertility clinic and the typical diagnostic tests a new couple undergoes before starting treatments. He also went through what the typical path would be to go down (although everyone will be different). Dr. Forman provided plenty of detail on the various procedures and types of medication and answered questions we had about outcome probability and risks of treatment. He asked lots of questions about both my and my husband's medical history, and also made an effort to know more about us on a personal level. After bloodwork and other diagnostic tests, it was decided the best course of action would be to start with IUIs. After the first one was successful, we decided to try another IUI given I had responded well to the medication. We were unsuccessful again on attempts 2 and 3 and decided to move onto IVF. We started IVF with about two weeks of medication and while my follicles were a little slow to start growing, there were plenty to proceed with the egg retrieval procedure. We were excited to have fertilized eggs a day after the procedure, unfortunately, none of the fertilized eggs made it viable embryos and our first cycle was over. This was upsetting and disappointing but Dr. Forman spent an hour on the phone with me after sharing the results walking through what could have caused that outcome and providing reassurance that he was confident that we could have success with another round. We agreed to take a month off and then try again. Dr. Forman tweaked our protocol slightly for round two and it seemed like my response to the medication was better this time around. After the egg retrieval, we had 8 fertilized eggs, 5 which made it to the Day 5 blastocyst stage and 4 which came back as good after being sent for genetic testing. Dr. Forman shared the news with us on Valentine's Day evening (which on top of being Valentine's Day was a also Sunday - he really does care about his patients!!) and we couldn't have been more grateful for such good news that day. We did a medicated transfer cycle a month later with our highest-quality embryo. While we did get pregnant based on the early bloodwork after the transfer, our levels were low and Dr. Forman was realistic about the chances of the pregnancy being viable. Ultimately we experienced a biochemical pregnancy which was devastating to us. Dr. Forman was understanding and compassionate while also giving us hope that we still have good embryos left and that there was a good chance the next try would work. For our next transfer, Dr. Forman suggested we try a natural cycle which involves no medication and closely monitoring my own cycle to time the transfer with ovulation. We used a trigger shot to ensure the timing of ovulation. This second cycle worked; early bloodwork looked promising and continued on the right trajectory and an ultrasound two weeks later confirmed the pregnancy and we saw the heartbeat. At 9 weeks we "graduated" from Dr. Forman's care and he helped us find an OBGYN to allow us to continue our care with Columbia.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Know you are in good hands and ask any and all questions you have - Dr. Forman will find time to get you the answers you need
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr. Forman was very realistic with expectations and direct in the way he communicated with us, while also demonstrating empathy and compassion. His responsiveness to emails and phone calls, and the office's quick turnaround time in communicating results also helped take some of the stress and anxiety out of an already stressful process.
Describe the protocols Eric Forman used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
IUIs: Clomid + Trigger Shot Retrieval Round 1: Started on birth control; Follistim + Low Dose HCG; Ganirelix; Lupron + HCG trigger Retrieval Round 2: Clomid; Follistim + Menopur; Ganirelix; Lupron + HGC trigger Medicated Transfer: Started on birth control; Estrogen + Progesterone injections Natural Transfer: Progesterone suppositories + trigger shot
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine (Nurse))
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths -Wonderful doctors and nurses who truly care and are accessible -Efficiently-run morning monitoring process -Convenient location, bright, clean office Weaknesses -Some minor billing issues
Describe Eric Forman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Dr. Forman is supportive of elective single embryo transfer
Columbia University

She [Dr. Karipcin] is very efficient and knows what she is doing...She understood my anxiety issues caused due to infertility and understood my physical pain caused by severe endometriosis...we knew she would never take any shorts or do conventional practice, her plan was tailor only for me...Dr K helped us find the right surgeon [for diagnostic laparoscopy] and worked very closely with our surgeon to maximize our chances of successful transfer....
[nurse at Columbia University] was very polite and thorough and explained all instructions very well. she never minded taking follow up questions from me and always returned my calls the same day...Zaria( care coordinator) was very efficient in making changes to accommodate me. She made sure everyone was in sync. I never had to send a single reminder to anyone in the staff.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
After 2 failed embryo transfer of chromosomally normal embryos and a panic attack we met with Dr K. During our 1st consult she was very patient, professional and proactive- she took notes of my medical history, went through all my scan and reports, asked us abt our fertility goal ( which I had completely given up on), and also gave us an egg retrieval protocol. She knew exactly what I needed for good results. she was very positive abt my case and had a plan- we decided to do 2 egg retrievals as I have DOR and want 2 kids and she strongly suggested me to take Lupron for 2 cycles- due to endometriosis and adenomyosis- clearly it was long journey but she was totally on our side and knew how to get us the results. very next cycle we started ER protocol and despite low follicular count and DOR got 3 embryos. we took a break of 2 cycles, while we were figuring out a possible Infectious disease issue. Then we did 2nd ER and again got 3 embryos. the very same cycle I took first lupron shot. by then my endo pain was getting worse so we decided to diagnostic laparoscopy. Again Dr K helped us find the right surgeon and worked very closely with our surgeon to maximize our chances of successful transfer. Dr K was always more positive abt our case then us. She is very efficient and knows what she is doing. Every second I was in her care I was her number one priority. She decided to do a Mock transfer due to the position of my uterus and made a decision to do my transfer under anesthesia, by this point we trusted Dr K blindly and did what she said- we knew she would never take any shorts or do conventional practice, her plan was tailor only for me. I was vey nervous for the transfer but when I saw Dr K I could relax and calm down my nerves went in the transfer room the whole experience was very positive and I we got pregnant the same cycle. I know only Dr K could have got me pregnant because she understood how my case was different and was willing to think out of box.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
plz trust her. she knows what she is doing. plz let her know your expectations and tell her how you feel abt your struggles. She will go out of her way to make your journey easy. Her positive vibes will make you believe in your dream to become a mother.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr K is like a very kind and understanding friend. She understood my anxiety issues caused due to infertility and understood my physical pain caused by severe endometriosis. she was well aware of my history and knew what hell of a journey I had been through. she always considered my comfort and pain levels before any treatment. I was truly taken care of under her practice. Dr K and Varda ( Nurse) would call me multiple times to make sure all my questions and concerns were addressed.
Describe the protocols Sinem Karipcin used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Dr K suggested Estrogen priming for my case she was right that cycle I did not get a lead follicle. For stimulation we used menopur and follistim. I think I took ovidrel for trigger shot. Although we got only 9 eggs( due to DOR) we got 3 embryos on day5. protocol was the same for both cycles and resulted in total 6 embryos. when I took lupron she strongly suggested me to take add back with it and that was blessing, without add back my lupron days were not livable. Infact with lupron + add back I was very energetic and productive. for transfer I took estrogen vaginally and progesteron in oil.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda )
Varda( nurse) was a blessing. I actually looked forward to her call after every monitoring appointment. she was very understanding and had an effect of a tranquillizer on my anxious infertility struck nerves. She was very polite and thorough and explained all instructions very well. she never minded taking follow up questions from me and always returned my calls the same day. I knew she genuinely cared for me and cheered me up whenever needed. Zaria( care coordinator) was very efficient in making changes to accommodate me. She made sure everyone was in sync. I never had to send a single reminder to anyone in the staff.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
strength- best staff. they know they have the best people. everyone is in business of providing care, best medical services and nothing else. very high ethical standards- I never experienced negligence or carelessness from anyone or any department. After every appointment I got a feedback notification from clinic admin. weakness- none
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University.
our first ER was covered by insurance 100%. 2nd ER was completely out of pocket- abt 10 k and transfer was covered by insurance.
Describe Sinem Karipcin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
she preferred single embryo transfer.
Columbia University

Because of my diminished ovarian reserve, we planned to do all three retrievals [with Dr. Karipcin] back to back for batching before moving on to a transfer...has a wonderful way of making you feel seen and known. She knows your case inside and out, and is able to talk about it on the fly during appointments and procedures. She is quite genuine and makes you feel like she cares about you and is rooting for your success.
We had a very positive experience with Columbia Fertility Center. Everyone from the front desk, to the phlebotomists, to the sonographers, to the nursing staff and care coordinators were attentive, efficient, and extremely friendly. We had dozens of appointments over the course of a year and rarely, if ever, had to wait (even in the midst of the covid pandemic). The space is bright, friendly, and soothing and extremely clean. The OR is the back of the office which makes it a one stop shop. It truly came to feel like a second home (for better or for worse). There is a 24-7 emergency help line that we made use of several times. It is probably important to know that you will not see your doctor during most of your monitoring appointments and they may not be on call when you have procedures (IUI/IVF). Our case was complicated in certain ways (e.g., I have a tilted cervix which made my IUIs and some additional tests hellish) and as such Dr. K made a special effort to be there for most of our big appointments.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
We have nothing but positive things to say about Dr. K. Not only is she an attentive and compassionate person but she is also extremely competent as a doctor. We never felt rushed during our appointments and she was responsive and thorough when we had questions. She knew our case inside and out. We ran into a variety of obstacles due to my diminished ovarian reserve and egg quality issues and she adjusted our protocol accordingly - at each stage we had better outcomes than the last. Throughout our travails, she was consistently positive/optimistic yet also realistic about the possible outcomes. If we decide to have more children in the future, we absolutely plan to continue on with Dr. K and in the interim we will highly recommend her to friends and family who encounter their own struggles with infertility.
Our advice is not anything specific about Dr. K - we would advise new patients that this process is very likely to take longer than you anticipate and to adjust your expectations accordingly.
Dr. Karipcin (aka Dr. K) has a wonderful way of making you feel seen and known. She knows your case inside and out, and is able to talk about it on the fly during appointments and procedures. She is quite genuine and makes you feel like she cares about you and is rooting for your success.
We tried for 6 months before seeking out a reproductive endocrinologist (by that point I was age 36). During that period, I had two miscarriages. I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve and Dr. K also suspected that I had some endometriosis. My husband had low sperm morphology (2%). Our sequence of treatments was in part based on our insurance coverage which required at least three rounds of IUI before moving on to IVF. As such, we did three IUI cycles – the first one natural (no additional drugs) and the second two medicated – one with clomid and one with letrazole. We had a chemical pregnancy with the first and the second two were unsuccessful. From there we moved on to IVF. Thankfully, our insurance covers three retrievals/transfers (what luck/privilege as we could not go forward otherwise). Because of my diminished ovarian reserve, we planned to do all three retrievals back to back for batching before moving on to a transfer. 1) First Cycle: Meds: 225 gonal; 225 menopur; cetrotide starting day 9 of treatment. Unfortunately, I was unresponsive. I only produced 2 follicles and Dr. K switched us to IUI instead of a retrieval. The IUI was unsuccessful. 2) Second Cycle: Meds: 150 gonal days 1-8 --> 225 gonal starting day 9; 150 menopur; clomid days 1-5; cetrotide starting day 7 of treatment. This cycle I produced more eggs and went forward with the retrieval. 8 were retrieved, 7 mature. Unfortunately, most of the eggs had empty zona pellucida (which is the outside shell). As such, only 1-2 were able to be fertilized with ICSI. None made it past day 3. 3) Third Cycle: Meds: 150 gonal days 1-5 --> 225 gonal days 6-8 --> 300 gonal days 9-11; 150 menopur; letrazole days 1-5; cetrotide starting day 9. This cycle 10 were retrieved, 7 were mature, and 5 were fertilized with ICSI. Of those, 2 became day 5 blastocysts and 3 became day 7 blastocysts. We sent them out for genetic testing and the first two tested normal. We planned to take a month off before our final retrieval and somehow, by some miracle, I got pregnant naturally and am just starting my second trimester (fingers crossed). We have one more retrieval covered by our insurance and tentatively plan to go forward in the future (with Dr. K). In the meantime, our two “good” blastocysts are on ice for the future.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda Souverain)
Varda trained me on the injections and communicated with us about our medication protocol throughout our IUI and IVF cycles. She was always available through email/the phone and was quite responsive to our questions/needs.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
We had incredible insurance coverage (IUIs and IVF meds were fully covered, IVF was covered at 75%). We are waiting on bills for our second IVF retrieval but I believe that we ended up paying $1,300 out of pocket for our first retrieval as well as a handful of $20 copays here and there. I believe we will be paying approximately $100/month for frozen embryo storage.
We have yet to get to the transfer phase with Dr. K.
Columbia University

[Dr. Sinem Karipcin] was personable, optimistic and realistic at the same time. I wrote that she treated me like a human because she always remember my name, my husband's name and even the purse I brought to each appointment...I felt like I was in excellent hands because she would tell me all of the statistics and even mentioned how some of the statistics were slightly different for African-American women (I'm African-American). At each appointment, Dr. Karipcin would explain next steps, remind me to stay optimistic. She didn't shy away from explaining potential complications that might arise due to my endometriosis and fibroids, but she would always remind me to focus on the positive and that we would deal with any complications as they might arise.
Columbia University Fertility is clean, the staff is professional and they are very good at providing information upfront. Once you decide to work with them, you are matched with a Care team, given their contact information and clear understand of the procedures and protocols. The New York, NY location is also very accessible by public transportation, which was important to me. The biggest bonus is that Columbia Fertility offers a monthly support group for women undergoing fertility treatments (it was also open to non-Columbia patients), which I found helpful.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. K always welcomed me with a warm smile. She has a very strong bedside manner. In fact, I noticed that she greets everyone in the clinic by name when she comes in each morning. I felt like I was in excellent hands because she would tell me all of the statistics and even mentioned how some of the statistics were slightly different for African-American women (I'm African-American). At each appointment, Dr. Karipcin would explain next steps, remind me to stay optimistic. She didn't shy away from explaining potential complications that might arise due to my endometriosis and fibroids, but she would always remind me to focus on the positive and that we would deal with any complications as they might arise.
Be sure to share all of your concerns. Dr. Karipcin will address each and every one of them. At one of our first appointments, I came in with a list of questions and concerns. She didn't let me leave until I'd written down notes/answers to each one of them. At one particular appointment, I cried while waiting to get my blood drawn. Dr. Karipcin and Nurse Varda set with me to alleviate my fears while in between patients.
Dr. K was personable, optimistic and realistic at the same time. I wrote that she treated me like a human because she always remember my name, my husband's name and even the purse I brought to each appointment. When scheduling me for morning monitoring, Dr. K and her team (Nurse Varda and Zaria) were always mindful to get me in as early as possible because I'm a teacher.
We did two round of IVF. Our regime consisted of was Gonal F, Menopur and then Centrotide. The trigger injection was Ovidrel and Lupron. Our first retrieval yielded about 8 eggs. The second retrieval yielded 15 eggs. Our IVF rounds were relatively close together (Oct/Nov 2019 & Dec 2019), the insurance company approved it and we wanted to complete them before Christmas. We did the recommended genetic testings for the embryos. So, now we have a total of 6 chromosomally strong embryos that can be transferred. Our original transfer date was postponed due to Covid. So, we did a transfer in May 2020. I am currently 16 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Varda)
Nurse Varda and Care Coordinator Zaria were extremely helpful to me. Varda was patient and answered every question in the emails I sent her. I would send emails with like 8 items and she would be sure to answer each question/concern. Zaria was thoughtful enough to call me for scheduling during my teacher breaks or lunchtime, because she knew those were the only times I was free to talk. The nursing staff, including ultrasound technician Rachel, Denaisha and Tanisha who took my blood during morning monitoring were also very welcoming, comforting, professional and funny. There was one appointment (in which we noticed that one of my fibroids was slightly bigger and this absolutely crushed me) and they reminded me to be positive, to pray and then got me focused on sports or some other topic so that I would stop crying, before heading to work. I was very thankful for them and their conversation.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Columbia University.
The morning monitoring hours worked well with my teaching schedule. It was very organized as well.
The majority of our treatment was covered by insurance. In fact, we didn't proceed until we knew it would be covered as "in-network." I usually only had to pay the co-payment. The cost of the IVF medications were not fully covered by insurance but they are now covered in New York State.
Columbia University Fertility does not do multiple embryo transfers. This is very clearly explained in the paperwork that you have to sign prior to embarking on the IVF journey. They are also clear to reiterate this around the retrieval dates. I agreed with Dr. K's approach. Due to my age at the time (36), fibroids and endometriosis, multiple embryo transfers were not recommended. Neither my OB/GYN, Fibroid surgeon, nor Dr. Karipcin recommended multiple embryo transfers.
Columbia University

Dr. Rudick was very patient with me, and was always available by email or by appointment to go through all of my questions. She made me feel like I had full control over the process, and that it was up to me to decide how aggressive I wanted to be, and the pace at which I wanted to proceed...She is also very straight forward and matter-of fact with results and reasons for those results, and she doesn't sugar-coat, which I appreciated and which added to my trust of her. When I received bad news after a few cycles back to back, Dr. Rudick sent me a very nice email and I felt that we were in this together, working toward a common goal. Al
The clinic [Columbia University] has a very calming atmosphere, and is very clean. There are plenty of seats for waiting patients, and several bathrooms. There was always water available and fresh fruit. The reception staff was very pleasant each time I arrived and check in was quick. The process during morning monitoring was consistent, and I hardly ever had to wait more than 5-10 minutes after my scheduled appointment time to be seen.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick is very professional and knowledgeable. She never pushed me to do something I was not ready to do, and let me set the pace of my treatments. When I decided to take a short break between cycles, she was very understanding. She is also very straight forward and matter-of fact with results and reasons for those results, and she doesn't sugar-coat, which I appreciated and which added to my trust of her. When I received bad news after a few cycles back to back, Dr. Rudick sent me a very nice email and I felt that we were in this together, working toward a common goal. Although Dr. Rudick was not always available at every visit, all of the doctors and nurses at Columbia were pleasant to work with. Before and during each procedure, Dr. Rudick would explain each step in detail, which helped ease my anxiety. I felt very cared for by her and the team at Columbia.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
I would tell her that she is in good hands, to trust the process, and to ask a lot of questions to ease anxiety and understand all of the details and risks. At points, it can seem like there are no answers and it is all trial-and-error, but with each cycle, more information is gathered that will lead you toward the right treatment for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
I was treated like a human, Dr. Rudick was very patient with me, and was always available by email or by appointment to go through all of my questions. She made me feel like I had full control over the process, and that it was up to me to decide how aggressive I wanted to be, and the pace at which I wanted to proceed.
Describe the protocols Briana Rudick used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
After several tests, we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility, which can be very frustrating. We decided to try IUI first. The first cycle of IUI was with Clomid, which was not successful. The Dr. switched me to Letrozole for the next three IUI cycles. I felt a lot better on Letrozole (much less bloated). Unfortunately, these cycles all resulted in biochemical pregnancies. We met with Dr. Rudick to discuss next steps, and she recommended IVF with genetic testing as she suspected a chromosomal issue in the embryo was the cause of the biochemicals. We proceeded with this recommendation, which produced two normal embryos. We transferred one of the embryos and this resulted in a positive pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Julissa Mota)
Julissa and the nursing staff were very organized and pleasant to work with. Julissa always called me and/or emailed me with results around the same time of day, the day after testing. This was very consistent and eased my mind, because I knew when to expect to hear from her. I felt that I could reach out to her if I had any questions about medications, treatments, etc. When I started my first IVF cycle, Julissa met with me and showed me how to mix and administer each medication, and gave me tips on how to organize the meds and make it easy. She also sent me links to instructional videos online. The information was very helpful and eased my anxiety. I also got to know the phlebotomists; they were always nice and would greet me and say hello when they saw me. I felt like everyone was rooting for me.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic has a very calming atmosphere, and is very clean. There are plenty of seats for waiting patients, and several bathrooms. There was always water available and fresh fruit. The reception staff was very pleasant each time I arrived and check in was quick. The process during morning monitoring was consistent, and I hardly ever had to wait more than 5-10 minutes after my scheduled appointment time to be seen.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Briana Rudick at Columbia University.
Fortunately, I had fertility coverage under my health insurance. I did have to pay some costs out of pocket up to the deductible. I also had to pay for the embryo freezing and the Genetic Testing separately, these were not covered by insurance. All in, I feel that I paid close to $8,000 out of pocket in total.
Describe Briana Rudick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Dr. Rudick recommended transferring one embryo at a time, to avoid a multiple pregnancy. We agreed on this course of action.
Columbia University
I had Katrina and Tiffany as nurses. They did their jobs well. Even the nurses who draw blood exhibited a great standard of care. Peri, the Egg Donor Program Coordinator, is especially great. She was incredibly helpful and reliable.... I can't recommend this clinic (Columbia) enough. The only things that I would hope for other to avoid are things that they can't necessarily control. 1) Make sure your procedures are pre-authorized well in advance. Speak with your insurance yourself and know for sure that pre-autho went through.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr. Forman listened to my concerns and is very good with first time IVF patients. Nothing was too small for his attention and he’s always doing his best for you. He consistently went above and beyond for me the entire time I was in his care. A perfect example of this was when I had expressed how much I wanted him to perform the actual IVF procedure rather than another doctor from the clinic. The day of the procedure, it wasn’t guaranteed that he could make it but he rushed to the clinic and made it happen. I actually teared up when I saw him. These things mean the world to women who have no control over their bad fortune. He and his team understood that these things mattered and what a difference it makes when your concerns are taken seriously. Even the front desk and nurses who draw blood exhibited the same standard of care. Peri, the Egg Donor Program Coordinator, is especially great. She was incredibly helpful and reliable. I can’t recommend Columbia University Fertility Center enough.
I do not have a uterus but still have my ovaries. IVF, creating and freezing embryos and using a gestational carrier was the only strategy. It was all pretty straight forward for everyone. I declined using birth control because I had LH test strips to tell me approximately when my first day of cycle would be. He then monitored my blood work until we knew when to start everything. My injectables were Menopur, Gonal F & Cetrotide.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina)
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I can't recommend this clinic enough. The only things that I would hope for other to avoid are things that they can't necessarily control. 1) Make sure your procedures are pre-authorized well in advance. Speak with your insurance yourself and know for sure that pre-autho went through. 2) One of the third party companies that they work with, Igenomix that is used for PGS testing, relies on your IVF doctor to explain things that I believe should be their responsibility. The only thing that the clinic can do to help avoid a lot of frustration when it comes to finding out your results from Igenomix is to explain to their patients that 1) Currently, NY state law does not does not allow companies like Igenomix to disclose mosaic results 2) Explain that mosaic results from Igenomix are handled differently and how. 3) Interpret the results from Igenomix completely for the patient before they try to do it for themselves with an Igenomix rep. Again, all things that I believe Igonmix should explain before someone uses their services considering it has to do with their results and the service that your paying them to do, not the clinic. Igenomix should be saying, “You should know that that NY State law prevents us from disclosing information about mosaics…”, “this is how we outline our results. we conclude mosaic embryos are also abnormal embryos so you wouldn’t use them anyway… (paraphrasing that last part… that’s not exactly right)..”, “This is how you interpret our results, here is an example”.

2021 - 2022, Successful
Dr Forman views every patient as a human and really gets to know you and your story. He takes all the information into account to create a personalized treatment plan...When we had a failed transfer, he specifically reached out when he was on vacation to check in on me...He always explained procedures and what the course of treatment would be and was available for any questions that came up during my cycles.
[the Columbia University nurse] sat with us over zoom twice to go over drawing up and mixing meds and was incredibly patient. the care coordinator was also incredible and was responsive to outreach...Be patient with the clinic staff. The medical assistants are amazing and remembered details of my personal life. Very rarely did I need to wait more than 15 minutes from my appointment time..
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
From the start, Dr Forman was incredible. He can come off as unemotional but he truly cared about us and our outcome. He truly cares about his patients. When we had a failed transfer, he specifically reached out when he was on vacation to check in on me. I never felt like a number, rather a person. He listened to our story and tailored the treatment to just that. He always explained procedures and what the course of treatment would be and was available for any questions that came up during my cycles.
Be your own advocate. Sometimes you can get lost in the mix, but stand up for yourself and ask questions.
Dr Forman views every patient as a human and really gets to know you and your story. He takes all the information into account to create a personalized treatment plan. He was always considerate of my time and feelings and when asked for more explanations he or his nurse (Christine) would call me to explain more.
For timed intercourse and IUI's, we alternated between Clomid & Letrozole, although most of the cycles I was on Letrozole. I also used the trigger shot (ovidrel) most times. For my first IVF cycle I took 10 nights of 2 vials of menopur, and 250 units of gonalF, and 5 nights of cetrotide. For my second IVF cycle, I had the same protocol, although I was on the meds for 12 days. Both times, I used Ovidrel and Lupron as triggers. For my first transfer, we primed with birth control and i took estradiol and 1.5 mL of progesterone in Oil. For the second transfer, we decided not to prime with birth control and i was on estradiol and 1 mL of progesterone in oil.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine Helbo)
Christine was always available and when she called with the results of our first transfer which failed because Dr Forman was on vacation, she was incredibly empathetic. She sat with us over zoom twice to go over drawing up and mixing meds and was incredibly patient. Gertrude- care coordinator was also incredible and was responsive to outreach.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Be patient with the clinic staff. The medical assistants are amazing and remembered details of my personal life. Very rarely did I need to wait more than 15 minutes from my appointment time. The clinic is beautiful and has a welcoming waiting area.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Forman at Columbia University.
most of our procedures were covered under insurance.
Dr Forman is in favor of eSET

2022, Consult
As a trans patient, I feel that [Dr. Rudick] understands my situation and she was careful to choose language that was affirming of my gender identity. She also assured me that while all of her staff is trained, that if someone should make a mistake, she would want to hear about it so that she could address me. Being transmasculine in a fertility clinic is complicated, and I felt quite comfortable in her care.
This clinic [Columbia University] is familiar with the needs of LGBTQ+ family planning, and that is the reason we chose them. We felt comfortable in all of our conversations about our needs and respected. Having been to 2 other clinics for consultations where I was misgendered, this means a lot to us...I have found Talia [a nurse] to be very organized and clear in her communication. Her response rate was great, and I feel that she is there for all our questions.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
I found Dr. Ruddick to be very personable. She was able to take a lot of information, some of which is quite dense scientifically, and put it into simple terms that we could understand. She thoroughly explained our options, some of the moving pieces, and also gave us a clear map of next steps we would be taking.
I think it's useful to go in to her office with a sense of your priorities. She will help tailor a pragmatic plan for you to help you take steps in that direction.
As a trans patient, I feel that Dr. Ruddick understands my situation and she was careful to choose language that was affirming of my gender identity. She also assured me that while all of her staff is trained, that if someone should make a mistake, she would want to hear about it so that she could address me. Being transmasculine in a fertility clinic is complicated, and I felt quite comfortable in her care.
Dr. Ruddick helped to identify the next steps, and the timeline for us. My partner who had already done testing and found out her egg count was low, would first go for a round of egg retrieval. During which time, I got blood work, and sema 4 testing done. Simultaneously our desired sperm donor would stop smoking weed for 3 months. He would then get tested, and make a donation. Then it would be my turn to go for a round of egg retrieval. In anticipation of that Dr. Ruddick will make a plan with my physician for going off of testosterone for those two weeks. Assuming our desired sperm donors tests come back without issue, we would then be making and freezing embryos. This plan gives us both the opportunity to have offspring with our egg. My partner will be the person who will carry the child.
How competent was Briana Rudick at LGBTQ care?
Dr. Ruddick was thoughtful and familiar with my needs as a trans person. She came recommended by other queer couples.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Talia)
I have found Talia to be very organized and clear in her communication. Her response rate was great, and I feel that she is there for all our questions.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
This clinic is familiar with the needs of LGBTQ+ family planning, and that is the reason we chose them. We felt comfortable in all of our conversations about our needs and respected. Having been to 2 other clinics for consultations where I was misgendered, this means a lot to us.
My understanding is that the process of egg retrieval and embryo creation will cost approximately 12-15K.
We did not discuss this.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Briana Rudick] has been extremely helpful and understanding of my needs and my partner's needs as well; we look forward to speaking with her. She ordered thorough testing to make sure we are ready, and also talked through potential issues with insurance. So far we are having good luck getting things covered, and this is helping us feel more confident about the whole process.
So far we have a great experience at CUFC-- the staff is responsive and quick. We had a tricky insurance situation that (so far at least) has been navigated with ease! There are still unexpected expenses, of course, but the team clearly has lots of experience and always appears ready to help...Everyone has been VERY helpful and communicative-- and Julissa is a total pro when it comes to the bloodwork. I also had an ultrasound to look at my ovaries and that went very smoothly too!
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
I started with a general consultation with Dr. Rudick, and now am in the process of going through IUI. She has been extremely helpful and understanding of my needs and my partner's needs as well; we look forward to speaking with her. She ordered thorough testing to make sure we are ready, and also talked through potential issues with insurance. So far we are having good luck getting things covered, and this is helping us feel more confident about the whole process.
Ask lots of questions and have a clear idea of what you want support with.
Dr. Rudick was efficient but also warm, and explained everything in a way we could understand.
Fertility workup including HSG test (a little intense but not as bad as I thought it could be!) IUI-- starting as naturally as possible (still in the process), and then moving on to using more medications as needed to adjust for any PCOS-related problems that arise
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Julissa)
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Regular copays for visits, and IUI is covered under insurance. Additional fees associated with sperm receiving and storage.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Although [Dr. Karipcin] is very caring and compassionate, she does not take the time to fully discuss IVF as a whole, what the treatment entails and the success rates. She also did not pivot when I had an unsuccessful transfer, but did the same protocol that resulted in another failure...At beginning of treatment we discussed transferring two fresh embryos, but at time of transfer only one was chosen. I was not explained clearly the difference between the two transfer options for my age range.
The clinic [at Columbia University] is great. Morning monitoring was fast, the bedside manner is wonderful best clinic I have been to. The nurse staff is very friendly, the doctors are compassionate and the place is bright and clean...The nursing staff was at times responsive and at other times not as much via online communication. In person visits were always excellent...Towards the end of my treatment I had to become more of an advocate for myself, and ask a lot of questions
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. Karipcin immediately prescribed a treatment plan for an IVF with ICSI. She strongly recommended to do PGS testing on the first retrieval, which I chose to forfeit and go with a fresh single embryo transfer, although initially we spoke of a double embryo transfer. I have been unsuccessful with three egg retrieval cycles, I wish the doctor explained clearly the success rate per cycle. Towards the end of my treatment I had to become more of an advocate for myself, and ask a lot of questions. Although the doctor is very caring and compassionate, she does not take the time to fully discuss IVF as a whole, what the treatment entails and the success rates. She also did not pivot when I had an unsuccessful transfer, but did the same protocol that resulted in another failure.
Do your research, join a fertility support group and become and advocate for yourself. Ask a lot of questions!
Dr. Karipcin has a very compassionate, caring and thoughtful approach to her treatments. I did not feel like just another number, but an actual patient.
IVF with ICSI and PGS testing on embryos due to my age at start of IVF treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is great. Morning monitoring was fast, the bedside manner is wonderful best clinic I have been to. The nurse staff is very friendly, the doctors are compassionate and the place is bright and clean.
My costs were accrued due to certain parts of the treatment plan that are not covered by health insurance, this includes biopsy, cryopreservation, PGS testing and ERA panel.

2021 - 2022, Successful
[Dr. Briana Rudick] was a great fit for me who is more on the anxious side...positive yet realistic and held my hand throughout the process...answered emails promptly and never made me feel any question was silly. She didn’t perform every procedure (like the IUIs for example), but she did perform the egg retrieval, transfer and made an effort to do one of my early scans.
I was overall very happy with Columbia. Of course at times you feel like “just another patient” but that is sort of the nature of the process with fertility treatment. Ultimately I received great care. When I needed something or if there was a misunderstanding it was resolved within the day...[nurse] met virtually with my husband and I to go over how to do the ivf injections and she was so helpful.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick is professional and a great doctor. She was a great fit for me who is more on the anxious side. She is positive yet realistic and held my hand throughout the process. She answered emails promptly and never made me feel any question was silly. She didn’t perform every procedure (like the IUIs for example), but she did perform the egg retrieval, transfer and made an effort to do one of my early scans. I truly have nothing bad to say about this doctor.
Dr. Rudick has been incredible throughout this difficult process. She answered all my emails promptly and never made me feel any question was silly. She even called me on the phone to address some concerns I had. I didn’t feel like a number, something that many people feel during this process. She was clear in explaining steps and procedures and was gentle throughout.
We went though the various steps, starting with lesser interventions like medicated timed intercourse cycles with trigger shots. We moved to IUIs following about 2 failed timed intercourses cycles. We tried 4 IUI with some adjusting of meds. After 3 IUIs Dr. Rudick gave the green light for IVF but with our schedule/timing we tried for one more IUI which she was totally okay with. Unfortunately IUIs we’re unsuccessful. We moved on to IVF. Luckily we only needed to do one retrieval and frozen transfer.
Julissa is an amazing nurse. She was prompt with responding to emails and explained things clearly. She met virtually with my husband and I to go over how to do the ivf injections and she was so helpful. She is great
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I was overall very happy with Columbia. Of course at times you feel like “just another patient” but that is sort of the nature of the process with fertility treatment. Ultimately I received great care. When I needed something or if there was a misunderstanding it was resolved within the day. There were a few miscommunications with some of the staff but it always got resolved. Would recommend this clinic for sure.
Luckily my insurance covered the various cycles for me. We did have to pay out of pocket for genetic testing of the embryos, storing the frozen embryos and a few other things- we probably paid around 7000 out of pocket.
Dr. Rudick recommended a single embryo transfer due to risks that come with multiple embryo transfer
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
I had a couple issues with meds being called in but the issues were always resolved.

2021, Successful
Embryo Freezing
she [Dr. Brady] shared the scientific reason behind every recommendation, which I think is very important. We did a lot of testings at the beginning, making sure that o issue was overseen but I never felt as if she wanted to sell any additional treatments or testings. She was always quick in answering any questions...our transfer was only three months after our initial consultation...
Columbia is very well organised. You can make your own appointments for daily monitoring online and I never had to wait longer than five minutes. I always received my results very quickly...they were all friendly and professional...She [nurse] taught us how to do injections via zoom, which worked surprisingly well. She sent me any results and further instructions very quickly....
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
I loved working with Dr. Brady! Her approach was very much based on science and statistics and she explained every step in a way that I felt we could do our own informed decision. I also appreciated that we did a lot of tests before starting IVF in order to ensure we knew what the issue is and not miss anything important.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paula Brady at Columbia University?
Ask any questions you may have, much better than google!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
We very much enjoyed the interactions we had with Dr. Brady. We discussed every step along the way and she shared the scientific reason behind every recommendation, which I think is very important. We did a lot of testings at the beginning, making sure that o issue was overseen but I never felt as if she wanted to sell any additional treatments or testings. She was always quick in answering any questions.
Describe the protocols Paula Brady used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
I think our case was very straight-forward, we did extensive blood work, HSG, sperm testing. We decided that it made more sense to start IVF rather than try IUI before, so we did an egg retrieval and a frozen embryo transfer. The whole process was surprisingly fast, our transfer was only three months after our initial consultation. This was the case because Dr. Brady made sure we wouldn't miss a cycle by prescribing birth control and asking me to go to the clinic earlier than standard procedure. I am very grateful for that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Madison)
Cue to COVID, we never saw Madison in person. She taught us how to do injections via zoom, which worked surprisingly well. She sent me any results and further instructions very quickly.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Columbia is very well organised. You can make your own appointments for daily monitoring online and I never had to wait longer than five minutes. I always received my results very quickly. I am not sure the nurses remembered me or anything like that. But they were all friendly and professional.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paula Brady at Columbia University.
We were very lucky that my insurance covered a huge amount of the cost. The clinic always made sure to file requests with my insurance before starting a new step of our therapy to avoid bad surprises. This process was very quick and did not require further assistance from my end.
Describe Paula Brady's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
we never really had a discussion about eSET. I knew that Columbia recommends eSET and I think it makes completely sense.

2021, 17 Eggs Frozen
Dr. K [Karipcin] is kind and has great bed side manner. She was adequately responsive to my concerns during my egg retrieval and was open to patient feedback. I liked her personally, but the program at Columbia failed to have adequate communication systems set up, so I felt in the dark and confused during a very stressful process....
they [Columbia University] have failed to invest in a working patient portal or technology to communicate with their patients successfully and reliably during treatment. They use an outdated portal system with no general queue for patient questions. So if you have a time sensitive question, good luck knowing who to send it to, if they are working that day, and when you'll get a response. They also use templated email instructions that leaves too much room for human error...
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. K is kind and has great bed side manner. She was adequately responsive to my concerns during my egg retrieval and was open to patient feedback. I liked her personally, but the program at Columbia failed to have adequate communication systems set up, so I felt in the dark and confused during a very stressful process. I lost trust in the care team right before my procedure due to them sending me templated emails with the wrong medication doses and instructions.
Dr. K is lovely, but I would advise you to ask questions about the method and style of communication that Dr. K will be using during your treatment cycle so you don't have the same experience that I had.
Dr. K took the time to get to know me personally, professionally before we started the consultation
Dr. K led me through an egg retrieval cycle. She had me administer hormones for 7 days before my trigger and retrieved 22 eggs, successfully froze 17.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Sam )
Although my care coordinator stayed the same throughout my egg freezing cycle, my nursing team changed 4 times. Which caused confusion as to who I should be communicating with. One of the nurses instructed me to take the wrong dose of medication, but thankfully, I caught the mistake on my own and the mistake didn't throw off my timing or procedure. I experienced 2 days of unresponsiveness from the nursing team right at my trigger time due to there not being a general nursing queue for emails from patients. If you happened to email a nurse that was off duty, then you went unanswered until you could figure out who was staffed for that day. I would not go through this procedure again with Columbia due to the lack of communication and stress their failing systems caused me.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Columbia Fertility has a beautiful facility and was always fast to get me in and out for ultrasounds and bloodwork during my egg retrieval. The weaknesses are that they have failed to invest in a working patient portal or technology to communicate with their patients successfully and reliably during treatment. They use an outdated portal system with no general queue for patient questions. So if you have a time sensitive question, good luck knowing who to send it to, if they are working that day, and when you'll get a response. They also use templated email instructions that leaves too much room for human error, which I was on the receiving end of when a nurse told me the wrong hormone dose to take because the daily instructions were copy / pasted. Although Dr. K is lovely, and tried to get the Director of the Program on the phone with me for feedback, we never successfully spoke and the email thread went cold after the Director, Sophia, was supposed to call me. Another example of failed communication by them. I lost trust in this clinic during my treatment and did not feel safe going into my surgery. This first time experience with IVF was a brutal wake up call that left me questioning our healthcare system, but on the flip side taught me to advocate for myself more often when I feel like something is not right. I would not refer any of my friends, family, or colleagues to Columbia based on my experience.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
Columbia failed to call in an antibiotic on time before my egg retrieval procedure, and at one point during the cycle, told me the wrong hormone dose to take.

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr Brady is everything we were looking for. When something wasn’t working she altered the treatment to correct the outcome. She is attentive, caring and intelligent...Dr Brady altered her strategy and sent us for another possible test. Turns out the issue we have is blood clotting issues. We are currently on love box which is making everything go as planned...
It’s amazing to have a single entity responsible for everything [at Columbia University]. No number to call, no holding to speak to an operator. The care coordinator even reaches out to you to schedule things. If you forget something they’ll remind you or prompt you to do it...You don’t sit for hours in the waiting room...It’s close to mass transit and your in and out
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
Dr Brady is everything we were looking for. When something wasn’t working she altered the treatment to correct the outcome. She is attentive, caring and intelligent. Previously we had poor interactions with a fertility specialist so it was refreshing to encounter someone of her quality.
Use her!
We previously had very poor interactions with a fertility specialist. I referred to the office itself as a “meat factory.” How many patients can we fit in, get the copays out of and as many billable unnecessary procedures as possible. You’d sit for hours in an waiting room or in what I referred to as the forward staging area. They had a second waiting room for people who were closer to being seen. You never saw the same Doctor twice. One fertility specialist actually congratulated us on conceiving when we in fact had just had a miscarriage and needed a DNC. Going to Columbia was a breath of fresh air. I now feel slightly bad for Dr Brady as I read her the riot act on our first meeting. She seemed to understand, sat attentively and listened to what I had to say. She was a professional through and through and thankfully we are on our way to having a successful pregnancy.
Originally we thought we may be having genetic issues as we had previously miscarriages where there was genetic abnormalities. We did one round of IVF which ended in a miscarriage. However there wasn’t any genetic abnormalities, everything was going well and then it stopped. Dr Brady altered her strategy and sent us for another possible test. Turns out the issue we have is blood clotting issues. We are currently on love box which is making everything go as planned.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Destiny Franklin, Stephanie Gorentzvaig Rocco)
It’s amazing to have a single entity responsible for everything. No number to call, no holding to speak to an operator. The care coordinator even reaches out to you to schedule things. If you forget something they’ll remind you or prompt you to do it. Not 300 nurses behind a desk answering phones of people who they know nothing about. Quality over quantity.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The weakness is that it’s in Manhattan and we had to commute there. However it’s worth it. It’s close to mass transit and your in and out. The strengths are the promptness of appointments and obviously Dr Brady! You don’t sit for hours in the waiting room.
Costs were minimal. PCG testing was out of pocket.
Dr Brady explained how the chances of multiple embryo chances increases the possibility of having twins. While our issue was not conceiving but carrying to term. She said that it would be best to test the embryo and select which one.

2019 - 2021, Successful
He [Dr. Forman] is excellent at explaining scientific and medical terms in digestible manner so that even a person distant from medical field can clearly understand the procedures. He does not sugar coat but sets realistic expectations and stays positive and reassuring during the process...We had a second round of IVF which resulted in 4 good embryos after the genetic testing. We then proceeded with the natural transfer which resulted in active pregnancy...
The clinic [Columbia University] is well run. Morning monitoring appointments are quick and a patient can book them via Connect which is convenient.The location is great and the office itself is clean...The team is absolutely wonderful - very efficient, responsive and helpful...We had a second round of IVF which resulted in 4 good embryos after the genetic testing...
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr Forman is caring and is always there for you throughout your journey. He is excellent at explaining scientific and medical terms in digestible manner so that even a person distant from medical field can clearly understand the procedures. He does not sugar coat but sets realistic expectations and stays positive and reassuring during the process. He listens to his patients and seeks for the solutions best suitable for them. He always acts with utmost professionalism and provides exceptional care.
We first had 2 IUI rounds with Clomid which did not result in pregnancy. We then decided to move to IVF and had 2 rounds. I responded well to medications so both rounds had the same protocol (Gonal-F+Menopur+Lupron+HCG). The first one yielded 4 embryos but only 1 was good after the genetic testing. This was disappointing for us since we hoped to have more embryos that we could freeze. We had a second round of IVF which resulted in 4 good embryos after the genetic testing. We then proceeded with the natural transfer which resulted in active pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine - nurse and Gertrude - care coordinator)
The team is absolutely wonderful - very efficient, responsive and helpful.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is well run. Morning monitoring appointments are quick and a patient can book them via Connect which is convenient.The location is great and the office itself is clean. The staff is very friendly.
Most of my expenses were covered by my insurance.
Dr Forman has a preference to eSET due to potential risk complications in multiple embryo transfer

2020 - 2021, Unsuccessful
Dr. Brady always responded to my questions via email within 24 hours, and called me personally on the phone to deliver delicate news...She struck the right balance between being realistic and hopeful, while always fully explaining to me the probability of all procedures and medication protocols succeeding...Dr. Brady never once dismissed any options, especially when I asked for a potential change in protocol
Dr. Brady's team [at Columbia University] was exceptional - always organized and efficient. I rarely had to wait on the phone. All appointments were made with minimal effort via MyChart. Any changes were communicated to me swiftly and promptly. Medications were sent to my pharmacy on time...while Dr. Brady was away on maternity leave herself, and I could tell the difference in care acutely and immediately...
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
Dr. Brady was always available to answer all my questions. She struck the right balance between being realistic and hopeful, while always fully explaining to me the probability of all procedures and medication protocols succeeding. I value the time she took to treat me as a real person, and not just a patient. I was transferred to another doctor for a few months while Dr. Brady was away on maternity leave herself, and I could tell the difference in care acutely and immediately. Even though my association with Dr. Brady did not result in a successful pregnancy, I feel so fortunate that I was able to be cared for by her and her team.
Don't hesitate to ask for more information or alternatives when needed. Dr. Brady never once dismissed any options, especially when I asked for a potential change in protocol.
Extremely compassionate responses from Dr. Brady and her team, regardless of urgency. Dr. Brady always responded to my questions via email within 24 hours, and called me personally on the phone to deliver delicate news. I am very very grateful for this!
2 cycles with Cetrotide, 1 cycle with microdose Lupron. 1 ERA cycle that yielded inconclusive data.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Madison Leffler, Katrina Leong)
Dr. Brady's team was exceptional - always organized and efficient. I rarely had to wait on the phone. All appointments were made with minimal effort via MyChart. Any changes were communicated to me swiftly and promptly. Medications were sent to my pharmacy on time. Follow-ups were frequent.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Easy to commute to, zero wait time. I had a tough time with one of the nurses (Jen) who made bloodwork pretty painful despite my feedback. After a while, I just got used to it. But I had a great experience with all the other nurses and doctors on staff who did my routine bloodwork and sonos.
Covered 80% under employer-offered Progyny benefits. Had to pay out of pocket for comprehensive genetic testing screen.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
The confusion only happened when I was temporarily under another doctor's care when Dr. Brady was away on maternity leave.
2021, Successful
He [Dr. Forman] never pushed a certain protocol, but rather presented our options and gave his honest opinion about what route we should take. I truly have never met a doctor who takes such interest in his/her patients’ cases and is so devoted to making himself available - day or night - to provide support...answering my countless questions via email within an hour’s time (no matter the day of week), or reaching out unprompted to ask how I felt on my IVF medication, he always made me feel safe in his care
CUFC [Columbia Univeristy] is very well-organized with an incredible staff. My bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring appointments were always quick and efficient, which is key because there are so many of them. The entire nursing staff is compassionate, and the doctors are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful....
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
I have nothing but the best things to say about my experience with Dr. Forman and Columbia University Fertility Center. Dr. Forman recognized that I really wanted to understand what we were doing every step of the way and thanks to his willingness to always answer my questions, I learned so much through this process. I truly can’t imagine going through the IVF process with anyone else and cannot recommend him enough.
Dr. Forman will get you where you want to go - just trust him and his process!
Navigating infertility struggles can be extremely stressful and scary, but Dr. Forman was by my side every step of the way. Whether it be walking me and my husband through our options and ensuring we felt comfortable with the process, answering my countless questions via email within an hour’s time (no matter the day of week), or reaching out unprompted to ask how I felt on my IVF medication, he always made me feel safe in his care. He never pushed a certain protocol, but rather presented our options and gave his honest opinion about what route we should take. I truly have never met a doctor who takes such interest in his/her patients’ cases and is so devoted to making himself available - day or night - to provide support.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine Elbo)
The rest of the team at CUFC - Gertrude, Christine, Jenny, Lisette, and many others - are all incredibly kind and knowledgeable as well. They understand what their patients are going through and try to make the countless appointments as enjoyable as possible.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
CUFC is very well-organized with an incredible staff. My bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring appointments were always quick and efficient, which is key because there are so many of them. The entire nursing staff is compassionate, and the doctors are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.
2018 - 2021, Successful
Dr Forman is incredibly supportive and responsive to patients. He always answered questions thoroughly and responds to emails personally, usually with a very quick turnaround time...Having a doctor who treats you as an individual rather than a statistic, and helps you understand your options at every step of the process...
Columbia Fertility is a world class clinic, from the front desk to the physicians, everyone is professional, respectful and compassionate. It is smaller than some of the other NYC-based clinics (not at all like the factory feeling of other places) so I always felt like the staff knew me personally and I was comforted to see familiar faces in the nursing and medical staff...Patients are allowed to self-schedule monitoring appointments so I could choose a time that worked for my schedule
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr Forman is the best doctor I've ever seen, of any specialty. I'm deeply grateful for his approach to educating and caring for patients. As women on this forum know, fertility treatments are a stressful process, both physically and emotionally, especially for women over 40. Having a doctor who treats you as an individual rather than a statistic, and helps you understand your options at every step of the process, is so incredibly important. I have recommended Dr Forman to many relatives and friends, all of whom have had very positive experiences.
Fertility treatments are tough, and for many of us, there are cycles during which we get disappointed. But having an expert, trusted advisor like Dr Forman is so critical to having the reassurance that you are getting the best care available.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
Christine and the IVF nursing team at Columbia are top notch. They are incredibly supportive, communicative and responsive to questions. I am so grateful for their professionalism and how available they are to patients.
Columbia University

I appreciated the time Dr. Forman took to go over various options and answer all of our questions along the way. He is very talented at communicating complex and technical information (e.g., probabilities) into lay-person terms...I felt 100% in good hands with Dr. Forman...He listened to our concerns and worked with us to develop a plan that felt right. I would recommend him without reservation to prospective patients.
The [Columbia University] clinic is very well organized. I never waited long to be seen by doctor, nurse, or other staff. Clinic staff went above and beyond and exceeded expectations to work with us to get all treatment fit in a tricky schedule (and helped get a slow pharmacy to speed things up)...The entire team was excellent: nurse, care coord'r, financial person, techs, phlebotomists.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
I felt 100% in good hands with Dr. Forman. Dr. Forman was able to break down complex technical material into understandable pieces. He answered all of our questions -- including outside of work hours and email follow-up questions. He listened to our concerns and worked with us to develop a plan that felt right. I would recommend him without reservation to prospective patients.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, and to ask them again if you don't quite understand -- Dr. Forman is very happy to explain things.
I started treatment at 38 years old (partner was 44). My hormone levels were in normal range. We tried 2 rounds of IUI first. Then did injections/egg retrieval; ICSI; frozen embryo transfer (rather than fresh transfer to let body reset hormone levels). I had no negative side effects from injections. 12 follicles; 8 eggs; 4 mature eggs; 2 fertilized; 1 5-day embryo ... 1 baby!
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is very well organized. I never waited long to be seen by doctor, nurse, or other staff. Clinic staff went above and beyond and exceeded expectations to work with us to get all treatment fit in a tricky schedule (and helped get a slow pharmacy to speed things up).
Dr. Forman answered all of our questions about cost at the outset, so we knew what we were getting into. He also alerted us to a NYS grant program (sliding scale based on income) that we were able to take advantage of. Total costs for one round of egg retrieval and IVF were between $15-20K.
eSET recommended and we agreed. (I did *not* want to take any risk of multiples -- I was more cautious about this than the Dr.)
Columbia University

She [Dr. Brady] addressed every question and concern I had with such compassion and professionalism which made me feel at ease through the process. She made me feel like I was her only patient with the amount of time she spent to address all my needs in such a detailed way. She was very easy to get a hold of and also responded to emails very quickly...Dr Brady understood the concern we had with the possibility of multiple births. We went with a single embryo transfer and it was a success
The center [Columbia University] was clean. The waiting time was very short and they always had multiple appointment time options. I was working full time during my ivf cycle and they worked with me around my schedule. I appreciated everyone’s smiles and kind words, even people I just walked by in the hall...All staff at this Center were kind and friendly and that included my nurse Madison. She was so kind and positive during every encounter...
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
I could not thank Dr Brady enough for her support and care throughout my IVF cycle. In this difficult time, during Covid, I was amazed by the level of attentiveness, care and compassion I received throughout the cycle. She addressed every question and concern I had with such compassion and professionalism which made me feel at ease through the process. She made me feel like I was her only patient with the amount of time she spent to address all my needs in such a detailed way. She was very easy to get a hold of and also responded to emails very quickly. I truly can not thank her enough!
Dr Brady treated me with compassion, patience and genuine care. I felt like she listened and heard my questions/concerns and developed a great treatment plan for my husband and I.
All staff at this Center were kind and friendly and that included my nurse Madison. She was so kind and positive during every encounter. Again, during Covid, it can be difficult to connect, however I found Madison to be very attentive, informative and really appreciated her positivity and encouragement.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The center was clean. The waiting time was very short and they always had multiple appointment time options. I was working full time during my ivf cycle and they worked with me around my schedule. I appreciated everyone’s smiles and kind words, even people I just walked by in the hall.
Costs varies, however a large part was covered my insurance.
Dr Brady understood the concern we had with the possibility of multiple births. We went with a single embryo transfer and it was a success.
Columbia University

She [Dr. Briana Rudick] was bound and determined to help us get pregnant. She is also wicked smart and easily thinks through the pros and cons. She is the person you want on your team...You want someone who is really determined, is going to be honest with you, and is going to support you with all of the various options. She will do that.
It is hectic in the mornings as they [Columbia University] are doing all of the monitoring. But, everyone is fully invested and once you are one-on-one with the nursing staff, you feel fully like an individual...they did more than any other doctor's office to help us figure out how to get the most out of our insurance.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
She was bound and determined to help us get pregnant. She is also wicked smart and easily thinks through the pros and cons. She is the person you want on your team. I have a Ph.D. and really needed someone who wasn't going to talk down to me.
She got to know us well. We could write or see here anytime and we had the sense that she was always looking out for us. She was incredibly responsive. She also had a manner we really liked -she was determined to help us get pregnant.
We tried the standard stuff. In the end, I did not have enough good eggs with which to work. Rudick took all embryos to 5 days and PGS tested them. This gave us the best chance. We ultimately went overseas to Spain for donor eggs. Rudick was willing to work with the overseas clinic to do all of our morning monitoring. When I miscarried, Rudick did the D and C and she encouraged us all along the way, even when we had to fly to Spain in the middle of Covid.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Columbia University.
The nursing staff was great. They were so positive and encouraging and would spend as much time with us as needed.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It is hectic in the mornings as they are doing all of the monitoring. But, everyone is fully invested and once you are one-on-one with the nursing staff, you feel fully like an individual. I especially liked one of the women who took my blood. I think her name was Jen. She always checked in with me about life, the weather, how I was feeling and so forth. I will never forget her discretion and kindness.
I don't remember the specifics, but I will say that they did more than any other doctor's office to help us figure out how to get the most out of our insurance. When we had to go overseas, they still worked with us to have all of our morning monitoring done at the clinic here, saving us much time and money. This was huge for us, as we then only had to fly over to Spain for the transfer. And we could still stay in the hands of Dr. Rudick and team.
We only had one embryo to transfer after they were PGS tested and brought to 5 days. This was Rudick's approach and I think it is the best.
Columbia University

Dr. Rackow was excellent at getting to know me and my husband, and guiding us through the many options of fertility treatment. She always made sure we were getting care that was covered and pre-approved by our insurance...carefully explained each option...She kept us hopeful while managing our expectations of the chances of each treatment type working. I always felt like she was our biggest cheerleader. She called me directly with good and bad news and shared our disappointments and eventual triumph. I very highly recommend her.
Overall the nursing staff [at Columbia University] was fantastic. Seemed to love their jobs and were very caring and friendly with patients...Strengths - great office environment (clean, peaceful waiting room), zero wait time, friendly and competent staff, ease of doing zoom doctor calls (very nice for patients that are not close to the office), ease of billing (the billing admin person is very easy to reach and work through paperwork with) Weaknesses - location was tough for me because I'm in Brooklyn
How was your experience with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
Dr. Rackow was excellent at getting to know me and my husband, and guiding us through the many options of fertility treatment. She always made sure we were getting care that was covered and pre-approved by our insurance (which we were very lucky to have), and carefully explained each option when there were decisions to make on which route to pursue next. She kept us hopeful while managing our expectations of the chances of each treatment type working. I always felt like she was our biggest cheerleader. She called me directly with good and bad news and shared our disappointments and eventual triumph. I very highly recommend her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
Ask her questions; she's great at backing up her treatment recommendations with stats and sound reasoning.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Rackow at Columbia University?
Dr. Rackow is easy to talk to. She always made me and my husband laugh and kept the conversation positive and professional at the same time. The nurses got to know me and were very kind and seemed to love their job.
Describe the protocols Beth Rackow used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
We started with 3 rounds of IUI with chlomid which all failed, then went straight to IVF with PGS testing and ICSI which was successful on the first round.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Columbia University.
Overall the nursing staff was fantastic. Seemed to love their jobs and were very caring and friendly with patients. There was one nurse who communicated protocol who was not great at communicating. She tried to answer some tough questions that should have been directed to the doctor.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth Rackow at Columbia University.
I was lucky enough to have insurance cover everything except for minor copays
Describe Beth Rackow's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
She was pro eSET and clearly laid out the reasons a multiples pregnancy raised heath risks for moms and babies
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
I had an IUI cycle cancelled because the nurse thought she saw two cysts during an early scan. It turned out those cysts were eggs that were developing early. So I missed that cycle.
Beth Rackow
Columbia University

Dr Forman was FANTASTIC! From the initial consultation to the positive pregnancy test Dr Forman was with us every step of the way! Any questions no matter how big or small we would respond within 24hrs. He put your wellbeing first knowing the emotional rollercoaster fertility is!..took the time to explain the different processes from IUI to IVF, helped us get a back up protocol in place in case the IUI's didn't work. He was never too busy to answer Q's
[Columbia University] Clinic was lovely, very clean, generally busy but minimal wait potentially 10/15 minutes at max. Rooms were thoroughly cleaned between each patients. Nothing was too much trouble! Great location with transport links...Nursing staff were always extremely happy & would remember you by name! They always had the right level of data to help with any Q's. Truly all of the nurses we met or spoke to, were all amazing
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr Forman was great, he took the time to explain the different processes from IUI to IVF, helped us get a back up protocol in place in case the IUI's didn't work. He was never too busy to answer Q's. I truly believe it is due to Dr Forman (& his incredible team of nurses) why we're pregnant today!
The level of treatment & care is well worth any cost different with other clinics. His reviews & results speak for themselves
We used Clomid from Day 3 for 5 days, then returned to the clinic to check follicle growth, would inject Ovidel & have intercourse that night before returning to the clinic approx 36hrs later for the IUI insemination, followed by intercourse that night or the following to improve chances.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Clinic was lovely, very clean, generally busy but minimal wait potentially 10/15 minutes at max. Rooms were thoroughly cleaned between each patients. Nothing was too much trouble! Great location with transport links & would recommend to anyone NYC or NJ based.
Costs at Columbia were more compared to our prior clinic in NJ however it was worth it to get the level of care & attention from Dr Forman & the nurses! It was approximately $2,000 per cycle for medicated IUI, with insurance covering some elements but not all.

2020, Unsuccessful
[Dr. McConnell's] Communication skills are lacking.I dealt almost exclusively with the nurse. When I had concerns on some side affects, I didn’t get anything in return other than ‘go see your PCP) . It really just felt like she was going through the motions instead of being caring and helpful...I had some pretty major side effects which I didn’t realise it was from the meds, but when I voiced my concerns, I got nothing except to go see a doctor if I was worried
[Columbia University] is a large clinic, many staff and doctors, so very impersonal. The strengths are definitely the nurses who do most of the work. The clinic runs as a ‘doctor of the day’ style so they are on rotation to perform procedures, so selecting a doctor doesn’t mean they will be the one physically treating you at the clinic...Second IUI I paid out of pocket for everything, total was $2600
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
I really just felt like I was on a production line, after 6 months, I’d had 2 zoom calls with her (1 consult for IUI and just recently a consult for IVF). When I emailed her directly to ask questions... it was the nurse that responded to me. It feels like she doesn’t really care, I’m doing this solo so it’s hard enough having no support. She also doesn’t even physically work at the NYC clinic which I didn’t know when I chose her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
If you know what you are doing (very little of us do), then she would be ok, but if you want compassion and caring I suggest looking elsewhere. The consultation sounded robotic and was just ticking boxes. You also get ZERO information during the process, I wanted my lab results, my numbers & more information but I was kept in the dark about everything unless I asked the nurse.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Describe the protocols Rachel McConnell used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
First IUI I was out on letrozole & Ovridrel shot, second IUI was the same but with a slightly higher dose of letrozole. I had some pretty major side effects which I didn’t realise it was from the meds, but when I voiced my concerns, I got nothing except to go see a doctor if I was worried
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Melissa and Katrina )
It’s all very organised, albeit a bit robotic.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It is a large clinic, many staff and doctors, so very impersonal. The strengths are definitely the nurses who do most of the work. The clinic runs as a ‘doctor of the day’ style so they are on rotation to perform procedures, so selecting a doctor doesn’t mean they will be the one physically treating you at the clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel McConnell at Columbia University.
I did my first IUI under insurance and that was billed at $1350 for the procedure. Plus all the monitoring visits were billed VERY high to insurance. Second IUI I paid out of pocket for everything, total was $2600
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
Just a lack of personalisation and feeling human. It’s definitely a busy clinic with a get it done attitude, no fluff. So if you are ok with that than fine. If you want any compassion... not the place for you
Rachel McConnell

2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Karipcin was empathetic, supportive, and encouraging. She kept reminding me to think positive thoughts first. She went out of her way to make it to my transfer, even though she wasn't scheduled to be in the office. She was caring and compassionate at every interaction that I had with her...She was very responsive to my emails and when needed we would have a phone call that same day that I sent the question
Columbia Fertility center did a great job of having an on-time appointment, communicating results in a timely manner, friendly technicians and nurses. during my egg retrieval, the staff was very compassionate, I had a lot of pain and they kept me longer than the typical discharge time. They checked on me, gave me warm pads, and extra medication to ensure I am well before releasing me. I felt cared for and comfortable during both retrieval and embryo transfer.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
I saw Dr. Karipcin during COVID, which made the whole process a bit more difficult, but Dr. Karipcin did everything she could to make it more personable. She was very responsive to my emails and when needed we would have a phone call that same day that I sent the question. I really like how thoughtful she is about reviewing all my medical information and taking the time to explain to me and my husband her analysis and recommendations.
As with any doctor, make sure you stay on top of your treatment and timing. There are so many moving pieces when it comes to IVF and various staff involved, that you have to be your own advocate when it comes to treatment, the timing of treatment, and financial clearance.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Zaria)
Zaria, my care coordinator, might have had a hard time during COVID to stay on top of digital communication, but I had a very hard time tracking her down or getting responses. It gave me anxiety and caused confusion when it could have been avoided. The rest of the staff was responsive and great.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Medication, PCG testing, anesthesia, blood work, ultrasounds, retrieval, embryo transfer
We only had one healthy embryo