Genetic counseling is not offered: Not Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
7500 Beechnut Street
Houston, TX 77074
(713)-771-9771
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine to a friend?

7.1

9.9
1 doctor
6 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
The clinic in NJ is beautiful and state of the art. They have a great waiting area and make it very comfortable for the patients. The location in PA is bizarre--Its like a weird, old home that happens to have ultrasound equipment in it. It is not comfortable or appealing at all!...The nurses were wonderful, for the most part. They provide the human part of this clinic...A few of the ultrasound techs would give me only pieces of information, leading to more confusion. Generally, they are nice. Jackie was really wonderful
6 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
The nurses were wonderful, for the most part. They provide the human part of this clinic. The Doctor himself is a bit scattered. He was great at our initial appointment, but after that---seemed very aloof. I was there for so long that they all got to know me very well, so that helped in not feeling like a number.
Most of the nurses were great. The one who was with me when I miscarried was incredibly kind. Another got visibly annoyed with me when I got emotional about my diagnosis--so it varied greatly. A few of the ultrasound techs would give me only pieces of information, leading to more confusion. Generally, they are nice. Jackie was really wonderful
What specific things went wrong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
How was your experience with Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
This Doctor is a little odd. He's kind of like a mad scientist. He certainly thinks outside the box, and is willing to entertain any ideas you bring---if you have reasons to back it up. He has truly done wonders for some women. For me, I always felt worried that he didn't remember who I was, my story or my issues. I was constantly repeating myself during our meetings. He wasn't super compassionate. He wasn't nasty or anything--just kind "been there, done that." He seemed very unaffected by my desperation and worry.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
You'll need patience and a sense of humor. Trust, too--sometimes blindly.
Describe the protocols Jerome Check used in your cycles at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Dr Check did not think I needed IVF since I got pregnant twice on my own (miscarried once) so I wasted ALOT of time. He kept pushing me to just be patient. By the time he finally discovered the uterine scarring, my insurance no longer covered IVF and I was out of luck. I wish he had been more aggressive.
Jerome Check
Houston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.

Uterine Fibroids, Other
There were 2 main nurses. [at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] I found that once I got to know them a bit they were awesome. I sometimes felt like I had to slow them down to ask questions but they were always happy to answer. They were the best. Seriously made the whole thing easier and once they got to know me I felt like they were cheering me on. Same for the pregnancy nurse Becky.
Uterine Fibroids, Other
It will seem overwhelming in the beginning. Do not be afraid to ask questions, even if you have to keep them on the phone longer or call them back.
I only saw Dr Check once during the initial consultation. After that you are shuffled along the process. It got better once I got to know the nurses and techs and unserstood the process better. You sort of have to trust that he is overseeing everything and will take you to the next step as needed.
There were 2 main nurses. I found that once I got to know them a bit they were awesome. I sometimes felt like I had to slow them down to ask questions but they were always happy to answer. They were the best. Seriously made the whole thing easier and once they got to know me I felt like they were cheering me on. Same for the pregnancy nurse Becky.
He's often described as a mad scientist. I never doubted he was absolutely brilliant and a leader in his field. He is funny, and as someone who needs a little humor I appreciated it. He seems to care immensely about the financial aspect of infertility. But you don't often get to see him.
Get to know everyone else in the office. You will deal with them, not Dr Check as much.
This is a big one for me: he does a post coital test. From what I have heard not many doctors do this. By doing this simple test they discovered my cervical mucus was killing all of the sperm. The fix was an easy douche of water and baking soda once a month. Everyone though this was insane but it worked. I was prescribed medication for the hyperthyroidism. Each cycle was close monitoring to watch for ovulation, followed by progesterone (he seems very keen on progesterone) and a Lupron shot one week after ovulation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
I was incredibly lucky. My insurance wad amazing. That being said, during my first appointment I received a large chart of the cost for everything and it seemed to be far more reasonable than I have heard of others paying. I also saw a lot of messaging about them trying to make treatments as reasonable as possible for patients.
Jerome Check
Houston

[Cooper Institute for Adv Repr Med] Strengths - They know what they are doing, they are very compassionate, they answer all your questions and concerns, they are gentle and nice, the are understanding, amazing prices for services, they do every procedure in office in there lab Weaknesses - Sometimes a little slow on getting back to you...She [nurse] was amazing! She always kept in touch with, contacted me numerous times to check on me. Answered so many of my questions and concerns. If I was nervous, scared, emotional, upset she always had the right words to make me feel better. She really became a friend to us.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Chuong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Chuong & staff made me feel very comfortable in a not great situation. The worked with me and showed compassion and care. They gave there opinions but ultimately let my husband and I make the decisions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Antionette C.)
She was amazing! She always kept in touch with, contacted me numerous times to check on me. Answered so many of my questions and concerns. If I was nervous, scared, emotional, upset she always had the right words to make me feel better. She really became a friend to us.
How was your experience with James Chuong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. James Chuong is a great doctor and know what he is doing. He made me feel comfortable and well aware of the process and procedure he was doing. He doesn't beat around the bush and he takes his job very serious.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Chuong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Ask questions, he will answer any question you have. I asked him so many and he never had a problem with answering them.
Describe the protocols James Chuong used in your cycles at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I took Birth control pills, then started Lupron injections. Went in for multiple ultrasounds and bloodwork. I then took Menopur & Bravelle as my stimulation drugs. I then had my trigger shot before my retrieval. After Transfer I took progesterone in oil & progesterone suppositories.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Chuong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
I would estimate around $13,000.00
James Chuong
Houston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with James Chuong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.

the facility [Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] overall was not too charming or impressive. Lots of signs for no trespassing and seemed a little strange being in the waiting room. the staff and everyone was quite nice but still had a strange feeling about the place...$10900 for the IVF with PGS...Clinic was in a oldish building. Parking was paid but they validate. The waiting area was not impressive. It had a lot of signs for solicitors etc which were not very appealing. Seemed rather small and congested.
Dr Chung was very thorough and informative about the procedures and the treatment plans. He spend good amount of time explaining every step and really nice. However, the facility overall was not too charming or impressive. Lots of signs for no trespassing and seemed a little strange being in the waiting room. the staff and everyone was quite nice but still had a strange feeling about the place.
Dr Chung is extremely personable and very detailed. He used pictures and made diagrams to explain everything very well. We felt quite comfortable discussing with him. He took time to answer all our questions and was not in any rush. I really liked his honest and in depth informative approach..
Take as many questions as you can think of so he can cover everything with you.
$10900 for the IVF with PGS.
Describe James Chuong's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
In our case he recommended eSET
James Chuong