Genetic counseling is not offered: Not Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
7500 Beechnut Street
Houston, TX 77074
(713)-771-9771
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine to a friend?

6.7

7.2

6.3

1 doctor
2017 - 2020
You will also need to be prepared to explore some unconventional approaches to fertility treatment [with Dr. Jerome Check]...he was driven by the curiosity of different cases and finding an approach that worked best for each patient rather than referring everyone right away for expensive IVF treatments...put me on adderall right away, which he had papers on to show a correlation with increased success in fertility treatments. He also found that I had low thyroid and started me on synthroid. Dr. Check's first approach was to have me try to get pregnant with timed intercourse and just support my luteal phase with progesterone, where he first suspected my miscarriages stemmed from. I had a lot of success naturally getting pregnant, just not staying pregnant. However, during my first cycle being monitored, it was discovered that I was ovulating prematurely and my follicl
The nursing staff at Dr. Check's office [Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] are the staff you communicate with most. They were knowledgeable and thorough...I was definitely in the minority being a non-IVF patient there...is much lower cost than other options in the area. They also look for other approaches rather than just IVF...First off, you get a full battery of tests. Bloods, ultrasounds, testing for your partner, etc. Once it was determined that my partner wasn't contributing to my infertility and that my anatomy was normal, we decided on a treatment plan.
2017 - 2020
How was your experience with Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Check is very research & data driven, which I appreciate. He was recommended to me by a family member who described him as "unconventional" which I agree with. He looks for treatment options that are outside of the box and does not push people into the most expensive treatment options right away, which I appreciate. After your initial consult & course of treatment are set, you will deal mostly with nurses (this was my experience as a non-IVF patient). If you want Dr. Check directly involved, you will need to request phone calls or appointments for that. When we were going to make a change in my treatment plan, I did request a call with Dr. Check to make sure I understood the path forward and he called me that week before we went ahead with the next cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Check is straightforward, and not necessarily "warm & fuzzy." Infertility is a tough journey and some may expect/desire more support from their care providers. If you don't have a strong support system outside of the office, you probably will not find it there. However, after several months with the staff, I was able to build a rapport with them and they are especially kind to me this time around, as a recurring patient with a 2 year old daughter thanks to them. You will also need to be prepared to explore some unconventional approaches to fertility treatment. But, I found it refreshing that he was driven by the curiosity of different cases and finding an approach that worked best for each patient rather than referring everyone right away for expensive IVF treatments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Check was willing to treat me when other doctor's felt that I was too young and should just "keep trying." He respected my gut instinct that my miscarriages were not coincidence and through testing found many issues contributing to them. For my first appointment, he was extremely flexible and I was able to do my consult and new patient testing on an evening to accommodate my work schedule. I have a background in Science and really appreciated how into detail he went about the mechanisms of the different treatment options and that he supplied me with his medical papers on the topics.
Describe the protocols Jerome Check used in your cycles at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
First off, you get a full battery of tests. Bloods, ultrasounds, testing for your partner, etc. Once it was determined that my partner wasn't contributing to my infertility and that my anatomy was normal, we decided on a treatment plan. He also put me on adderall right away, which he had papers on to show a correlation with increased success in fertility treatments. He also found that I had low thyroid and started me on synthroid. Dr. Check's first approach was to have me try to get pregnant with timed intercourse and just support my luteal phase with progesterone, where he first suspected my miscarriages stemmed from. I had a lot of success naturally getting pregnant, just not staying pregnant. However, during my first cycle being monitored, it was discovered that I was ovulating prematurely and my follicles were small and immature when released, so we did not attempt pregnancy in that cycle. For the next cycle, I used FSH to stimulate follicle growth, Cetrotide to suppress my LH, hCG to trigger ovulation, timed intercourse with my husband, lupron to promote implantation, and several forms of progesterone (oral & 2 types of suppositories) support in my luteal phase. I was unsuccessful in that cycle and the next, and after the third cycle I had an endometrial scratch procedure after my negative pregnancy test. The next cycle, my treatment plan was the same and I successfully became pregnant. After my positive pregnancy test, my blood & ultrasound were heavily monitored by the nurses. I was kept on progesterone until close to 20 weeks, was also taking estradiol to support my estrogen levels, and was kept on pelvic protection until 20 weeks due to some unexplained bleeding early in pregnancy. I also continued my adderall through the first trimester. As someone who experienced pregnancy loss, I appreciated the heavy monitoring throughout my early pregnancy.
The nursing staff at Dr. Check's office are the staff you communicate with most. They were knowledgeable and thorough. I had one primary nurse and a few that would fill in when she wasn't there. They can sometimes seem rushed when they call you with results/instructions, but if you ask them to slow down/repeat they are great.
Describe your experience with Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Cooper Institute is much lower cost than other options in the area. They also look for other approaches rather than just IVF. I was definitely in the minority being a non-IVF patient there, but some doctors would have sent me right to that option. Something that was inconvenient for me was that the office in PA, which is closer to my house, was only open during limited hours for blood & ultrasounds and then 2 days/week for full days. I had to go to the NJ office a few times per cycle depending on when my cycle days fell and that was inconvenient. However, it was a small price to pay to get to the end result. Just something for new patients to be aware of.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
My procedures & medications were well covered by my insurance company with the exception of the lupron which was only 1 dose/cycle. Each occasion of blood & ultrasound was ~$35 out of pocket, and medications were ~$150 per cycle overall. One time when I needed to get a cetrotide dose the same day to prevent ovulating & losing the cycle, they had one on site that they gave to me free of charge since my insurance mandated a mail-in pharmacy use.
Houston

She [Dr. Jung Kyo Choe] decided during surgery that my fallopian tubes were too diseased to keep and removed them both along with massive scar tissue found from my c-section from my daughter in 2014, and some cysts on my ovaries that she said one was of the largest she has seen. She suggested a few months recovery and then a retrieval and transfer. She was present for the egg retrieval. They retrieved 5 and out of those 5, 3 fertilized. They transferred 3 on cycle day 3. It was not a successful transfer. However, knowing that I am positive for the MTHFR gene and Rh- (A-), she advised my seeing a rheumatologist to help in directing my treatment moving forward with future IVF procedures. I am currently on meds again for another transfer.
Nurses Jessie and Kathy [at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] are very well versed in their craft. They have a wonderful disposition and bedside manner, extremely kind and empathetic when delivering sad news...I was diagnosed with ureaplasma and the staff neglected to call and inform my husband and I for over a month. I was told later during a visit and my husband and I were placed antibiotics...
European, Other
How was your experience with Jung Kyo Choe at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Jung Choe is kind, sweet, patient, knowledgeable and experienced. She shows a genuine interest, has a wonderful bedside manner. She understands and has told me that her job is to be there for me as her patient. She called me personally to deliver results and has gone out of her way to be available to me. I trust her years of expertise and even moreso her understanding and gentle nature.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jung Kyo Choe at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Listen and ask questions, Dr. Choe is a wealth of knowledge and kindness.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jung Kyo Choe at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Jung Choe took and continues to take a personal interest in my treatment. She is in the office one week a month yet has been sure to be present for my sonohysterography procedures and made sure to be the one to head my laparoscopy. She is kind and takes the time to go over each detail of my treatment. She shows me diagrams and answers each question I have. She lightens the mood and I feel she genuinely cares about me as a person and my reason for seeing her in the first place. I trust her years of expertise would only guide her to give me the best treatement and best advice moving forward even if it means to stop treatment at some point.
Describe the protocols Jung Kyo Choe used in your cycles at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Dr. Jung Choe requested a full diagnostic workup of me and my husband. She said that we should start with IUI considering the results from the previously performed hysterosalpingogram (HSG) (by a different doctor) and sonohysterogram (performed by a different doctor). After 6 failed attempts it was deemed that my cervix was too acidic and to try a baking soda douche. And, then to perform the hysterosalpingogram and sonohysterogram. She decided during surgery that my fallopian tubes were too diseased to keep and removed them both along with massive scar tissue found from my c-section from my daughter in 2014, and some cysts on my ovaries that she said one was of the largest she has seen. She suggested a few months recovery and then a retrieval and transfer. She was present for the egg retrieval. They retrieved 5 and out of those 5, 3 fertilized. They transferred 3 on cycle day 3. It was not a successful transfer. However, knowing that I am positive for the MTHFR gene and Rh- (A-), she advised my seeing a rheumatologist to help in directing my treatment moving forward with future IVF procedures. I am currently on meds again for another transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Jessie and Jackie)
Nurses Jessie and Kathy are very well versed in their craft. They have a wonderful disposition and bedside manner, extremely kind and empathetic when delivering sad news. Nurse Jessie could do with being a little more specific when giving instructions, but otherwise she is fantastic. She certainly answers all questions and is more than helpful in solving the problems that might arise during my treatment.
The administrative front desk staff as a whole could use being a bit more kind, friendly and understanding. They are also not always the most patient. Though when you get them one-on-one they seem to be sweeter. The billing staff is great overall, though not always the most forthcoming with information, you need to ask them specifically for information concerning credits owed to you. The ultrasound technicians sometimes seem a little miserable, but they are genuinely nice women and super understanding of how to make you feel comfortable. The office Phlebotomists are super nice and very efficient. Other than that, the office is clean and the rules posted make sense to make women undergoing fertility treatment feel comfortable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jung Kyo Choe at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
I think the costs are extremely reasonable compared to what I know other friends to have paid for the same procedures. I pay out of pocket for IVF, outside of ultrasounds and bloodwork. I can not afford to try IVF more than twice, but had the costs not have been cut in half in the first place I would only have been able to afford to have IVF done once.
Describe Jung Kyo Choe's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
I left eSET vs. multiple embryo transfer in Dr. Choe's very capable hands.
What specific things went wrong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
I was diagnosed with ureaplasma and the staff neglected to call and inform my husband and I for over a month. I was told later during a visit and my husband and I were placed antibiotics. We were also told that it only mattered because we were going through IUI and otherwise they do not test for it or treat it. Also, during my IVF treatment, the nurse forgot to call in a full prescription of antibiotics for me during the same day. She did end up calling it in 2 days later and after speaking with her, she was aware that she did not do it and apologized. She knew that I had enough to get me through for the extra day.
Jung Kyo Choe
Houston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jung Kyo Choe at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.

2017 - 2019
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
I will say, some of the nurses [at Cooper Institute] were very kind. However, others did not show the compassion that women battling infertility should receive. This is an area that does need improvement in the office. We are women who are scared, have experienced loss and may have a lot of questions.... There were a few times I needed to call in and provide reminders to send prescriptions but typically this was not an issue.
2017 - 2019
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Rachael Cohen at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Cohen LISTENS in a world where many physicians take on a particular approach without the input of the patient. She heard me when I said I felt that something wasn’t right and did not want to proceed with anymore transfers before figuring out what my problem was. She helped me to control my thyroid, she did a laparoscopy to address stage 3 endometriosis and she let me be in the drivers seat of my care which is so incredibly important. Going through infertility is bad enough, but having a kind and compassionate physician who brings you hope and follows proper protocol is SO important. Dr. Cohen went through the proper steps for me and listened to my opinions. For that, I am so grateful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachael Cohen at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Be vocal. Let her know your concerns. Listen to her advice but also trust your gut if something does not feel right to you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachael Cohen at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Cohen listened to me even at times where she didn’t entirely agreed. Unlike the first physician I saw she went through the appropriate steps of treatment and diagnostic testing. She allowed me to have a voice which I felt had been taken from me. It was not until this Dr. that I had faith that I would become pregnant. Despite our very sad outcome, she was a wonderful and attentive Dr. and I will be returning to her in hopes of a rainbow baby after the passing of our twins.
Describe the protocols Rachael Cohen used in your cycles at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
After a previous failed transfer with NO diagnostic testing Dr. Cohen performed a mock transfer (I have a retroverted uterus so this helped her gain a better picture for the transfer) she did a hysterosalpinogram (checking to see if tubes were blocked) she did a laparoscopy for endometriosis (to detect any tubal blockages or scar tissue impacting conception or causing risk of an ectopic pregnancy) and then we prepped for a transfer. That transfer was canceled due to my lining however, the next transfer scheduled a month later was successful.
I will say, some of the nurses were very kind. However, others did not show the compassion that women battling infertility should receive. This is an area that does need improvement in the office. We are women who are scared, have experienced loss and may have a lot of questions. I understand the days are long and hard but patience, care and empathy is so important. We just want what most women want, a family. This does not speak to all of the nurses, just some who would appear very frustrated if something was not understood.
Strengths: thinking outside of the box and being willing to take on “tough” cases. Understanding the high costs of infertility treatment and providing lower costs for treatment. Dr. Cohen being a Dr. who really listens and empathizes and is also willing to think outside of the box. Weaknesses: some of the other staff members really just need to practice a little bit more compassion and empathy. Infertility is a horrible disease. My only qualm with the office. There needs to be more patience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachael Cohen at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
I paid for several procedures out of pocket until my laparoscopy and Dr. Cohen and the billing department helped me to gain fertility coverage after being denied although I was diagnosed with endometriosis
Describe Rachael Cohen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Unfortunately, we did transfer 2 embryos because prior transfers with 2 resulted in no pregnancy. Unfortunately, my twin pregnancy resulted in loss. I lost my son at 4.5 months and my daughter was born at 27 weeks and passed away at 3 months due to a rare lung condition. At the time, we thought transferring two was our best option with very limited funds. Although I did achieve a pregnancy, based upon our circumstances I would only ever transfer one.
There were a few times I needed to call in and provide reminders to send prescriptions but typically this was not an issue. Prior to Dr. Cohen I had received conflicting information on my case and diagnoses which is why now, I will only see her
Rachael Cohen
Houston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Rachael Cohen at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.

Dr Check is an exceptional doctor. Brilliant in fact. He can provide treatment no other doctor is willing to try. Unfortunately he is not as hands on as a patient would expect.... I had 4 appointments with Dr. Check over a 2 year period. He was attentive, sympathetic, and provided lots of info.... The remainder of my care was left to an intern and nurse who reviewed my blood and ultrasound results and provided instructions.
Strength [of Cooper Institute]: treatment options available, particularly patients turned away from other clinics that can’t be bothered to try treating you because the perceive the success rate to be to low. Weakness: lack of attention to detail. Nurses barely read my file. Overlooked key information such as my age and history.... It’s described as a self directing free flowing office. If your new to infertility or IVF you will be at a disadvantage.
Dr Check is an exceptional doctor. Brilliant in fact. He can provide treatment no other doctor is willing to try. Unfortunately he is not as hands on as a patient would expect. It’s described as a self directing free flowing office. If your new to infertility or IVF you will be at a disadvantage.
Be aggressive with questions and your requested treatment.
I had 4 appointments with Dr. Check over a 2 year period. He was attentive, sympathetic, and provided lots of info. He was candid about my situation but was very positive and upbeat. The remainder of my care was left to an intern and nurse who reviewed my blood and ultrasound results and provided instructions. I had to correct them many times. They were unaware of the details unique to my situation until I pointed them out.
Oral Estrogen treatment to lower FSH and stimulate follicle growth then one egg retrieval.
Most of the nurses are caring and compassionate. There are a few that lack patience.
Strength: treatment options available, particularly patients turned away from other clinics that can’t be bothered to try treating you because the perceive the success rate to be to low. Weakness: lack of attention to detail. Nurses barely read my file. Overlooked key information such as my age and history. I had to nearly manage my own care. For example I was given instructions to bring on men’s traction at 30 days when my history of ovulating was around 45 days. I was once incorrectly instructed to inject follistim because they failed to notice my age. I was told I didn’t need an ultrasound the day before my retrieval. It’s these details that can make or break each patients outcome.
Low cost.
Describe Jerome Check's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
I’m extremely sensitive to medications. I felt like my retrieval was a circus. I probably didn’t need the additional follistim and I’m relatively certain I ovulated the morning before taking the trigger shot. When I told the nurse I had a high fever and felt the ovulation she said maybe, but blew me off - they don’t track body temp. Needless to say they were all surprised the day of retrieval that both follicles released early. I wasn’t. They ended up giving me IUI, 48 hours after I knew I ovulated. Had I kept my ultrasound appointment the nurse told me was not needed the day before maybe IUI would have had a better chance. Lack of individual attention to detail over all. Get them in, get them out mentality. The head nurse gave me the cash paid portion of my money back and said “Now your can go shopping.” After the IUI, one nurse asked if I could remain in the room for 20 minutes but the head nurse was in a big hurry to get me out of the room. I went outside and laid on a bench while I waited for my husband to pick me up. When we tried to get a refund for the retrieval that never happened our numerous calls were not returned. After 2 month of ignoring our calls my husband had to leave work and go there to force billing to credit our credit card. Awful experience.
Houston

He [Dr. Jerome Check] stated ICSI would be prepared and two embryos transferred. This didn’t happen as one embryo was transferred and my body was overstimulated. When originally I was told if this happen they would freeze all the embryos until my body calmed down...The appointments weren’t intimate and or personal you were in and out literally... is very knowledgeable about infertility and reads lots of statistics. However, he doesn’t practice so seeing him makes it hard to take into consideration his opinion. The other doctor did my retrieval and transfer and I didn’t know her at all. Check was personal and neither was his staff
They [The nurses at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] were always in a rush and would call me late in the day with what mediations to take during my cycle. It was rushed and left me at times feeling alone and confused about the injections and if I was doing it right...when I called to pay my quarterly payment for my embryos in storage. I was told I only had 12 eggs in storage when after the transfer I had 15. I was unaware of this and don’t have paperwork to confirm this. I still don’t know what was wrong with those 3 embryos all I was told is they were discarded
Dr. Check is very knowledgeable about infertility and reads lots of statistics. However, he doesn’t practice so seeing him makes it hard to take into consideration his opinion. The other doctor did my retrieval and transfer and I didn’t know her at all. Check was personal and neither was his staff
Be open and ok with being left on your own to weather the storm of infertility. Make sure to advocate for yourself
The appointments weren’t intimate and or personal you were in and out literally. If I was waiting I was waiting and felt to be sitting too long nurses would take their time to do bloodwork and ultrasounds
He stated ICSI would be prepared and two embryos transferred. This didn’t happen as one embryo was transferred and my body was overstimulated. When originally I was told if this happen they would freeze all the embryos until my body calmed down
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy Hallahan)
They were always in a rush and would call me late in the day with what mediations to take during my cycle. It was rushed and left me at times feeling alone and confused about the injections and if I was doing it right
The cost of the cycle was inexpensive; however the thing that really bothered me is the lack of support and community from the staff. I felt alone during a time support was needed. I was left to make many decisions without lots of help from a staff that was supposed to assist me with the rollercoaster of emotions I was feeling. I was scared and uncertain
4,525( IVF Procedure) 1,100(ICSI) 1,600( Blood&Ultrasounds)
Dr. Check seemed alright with transferring multiple but the doctor who did my transfer was described to me As “unorthodox” so transferring more than one wasn’t be in her plan
Recently back in Natch when I called to pay my quarterly payment for my embryos in storage. I was told I only had 12 eggs in storage when after the transfer I had 15. I was unaware of this and don’t have paperwork to confirm this. I still don’t know what was wrong with those 3 embryos all I was told is they were discarded
Houston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.

6 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr Check did not think I needed IVF since I got pregnant twice on my own (miscarried once) so I wasted ALOT of time. He kept pushing me to just be patient. By the time he finally discovered the uterine scarring, my insurance no longer covered IVF and I was out of luck. I wish he had been more aggressive...is a bit scattered. He was great at our initial appointment, but after that---seemed very aloof. I was there for so long that they all got to know me very well, so that helped in not feeling like a number.
The clinic in NJ is beautiful and state of the art. They have a great waiting area and make it very comfortable for the patients. The location in PA is bizarre--Its like a weird, old home that happens to have ultrasound equipment in it. It is not comfortable or appealing at all!...The nurses were wonderful, for the most part. They provide the human part of this clinic...A few of the ultrasound techs would give me only pieces of information, leading to more confusion. Generally, they are nice. Jackie was really wonderful
6 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
This Doctor is a little odd. He's kind of like a mad scientist. He certainly thinks outside the box, and is willing to entertain any ideas you bring---if you have reasons to back it up. He has truly done wonders for some women. For me, I always felt worried that he didn't remember who I was, my story or my issues. I was constantly repeating myself during our meetings. He wasn't super compassionate. He wasn't nasty or anything--just kind "been there, done that." He seemed very unaffected by my desperation and worry.
You'll need patience and a sense of humor. Trust, too--sometimes blindly.
The nurses were wonderful, for the most part. They provide the human part of this clinic. The Doctor himself is a bit scattered. He was great at our initial appointment, but after that---seemed very aloof. I was there for so long that they all got to know me very well, so that helped in not feeling like a number.
Most of the nurses were great. The one who was with me when I miscarried was incredibly kind. Another got visibly annoyed with me when I got emotional about my diagnosis--so it varied greatly. A few of the ultrasound techs would give me only pieces of information, leading to more confusion. Generally, they are nice. Jackie was really wonderful
While nothing SPECIFICALLY went wrong, the office is a chaotic mess of paperwork. It worried me, to a degree--but Dr. Check came so highly recommended that I stayed for a while. I only wish the doctors had been more aggressive in my treatment.
Houston

Be an advocate for yourself. You won't get time with Dr. Check unless you specifically request it - this many be up to a month at times. And if you only want him to review case, be specific about that...I have low ovarian reserve and was given very high doses of Menopur only for each cycle. We tried other things, but mostly a lot of injectables...I have great respect for the knowledge and interest he still has in this science after so many years. Although we did not conceive, I admire Dr. Check's willingness to spend time with me during scheduled consultations. On one visit he spent 2 hours with me. All in all, he was also confused by my situation and showed a vested interest in that, which gave me comfort in all of the overwhelmingness.
The nursing staff for IVF [at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] was very professional. Quick and not very friendly, but getting the job done. The regular nurses were very pleasant, especially Jackie...I have found that Cooper does a reasonably priced IVF...The clinic seems a little dated and there are some things that can be added to the office that would make it more inviting and organized. The nurses are ok, they are hit or miss. They are human too, we are all entitled to bad days sometimes. It took a while for the nurses to be friendly with me. No one explained the expectations or processes of the office when I first came to the practice. And when I asked for help with injection instructions in the beginning, the nurse seemed annoyed with me. I felt like my husband received better treatment from the staff than I did. However, the IVF nurses and staff were my favorite people! I enjoyed Jessie (Nurse), Melissa (Embryologist) and Bob (Anesthesiologist) the most.
Dr. Check is brilliant. I have great respect for the knowledge and interest he still has in this science after so many years. Although we did not conceive, I admire Dr. Check's willingness to spend time with me during scheduled consultations. On one visit he spent 2 hours with me. All in all, he was also confused by my situation and showed a vested interest in that, which gave me comfort in all of the overwhelmingness.
Be an advocate for yourself. You won't get time with Dr. Check unless you specifically request it - this many be up to a month at times. And if you only want him to review case, be specific about that. Dr. Cohen in the practice is great, she did my first egg retrieval. However, I would not recommend Dr. Choe if you are not up for blunt and fast delivery of instructions and news.
The facility is factory-like. When I first starting seeing this practice, no one warmly greeted me or walked me through the expectations of the practice. I did not have a designated nurse. It wasn't until I had been going to the practice for years that I started to gain rapport with the nurses.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jackie, Karen, Phyllis, Jessie)
The nursing staff for IVF was very professional. Quick and not very friendly, but getting the job done. The regular nurses were very pleasant, especially Jackie.
We had health insurance for IVF procedures, however, we needed to pay out of pocket for meds. All in all, I have found that Cooper does a reasonably priced IVF.
I agreed with my Doctor's consultations regarding embryo transfer.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
She [Dr. Choe] was nice 1st visit. She set me up for surgery to address what penn said was a blocked Fallopian tube. She advised me to call the ivf nurses at the end of the month to order ivf meds. She said I didn’t have a lot of time....2nd appointment she didn’t remember me until about 1/2 hour in, then she told us I was too old to use the $2200.00 in ivf medication she instructed me to order! I ovulated the next 2 months on my own but she told me to go home and have intercourse even though my husbands sperm had documented motility issues.
Most of the nurses [Cooper Institute] are nice. Due to volume there is a lack of attention to each patient when reviewing files and giving instructions. Easy blood and ultrasound appointments. You can be in and out in 20 minutes.... Lack of consistency. Told to order meds then told your too old to use them. Lack of planning over all or just asking what the patients expectations are. Not every patient wants to use an egg donor.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
After 1st appointment I had a very successful surgery and as instructed called ivf nurses to order my meds. 2nd appointment she didn’t remember me until about 1/2 hour in, then she told us I was too old to use the $2200.00 in ivf medication she instructed me to order! I ovulated the next 2 months on my own but she told me to go home and have intercourse even though my husbands sperm had documented motility issues. Why didn’t she offer me IUI? I didn’t know until several months later she doesn’t believe in mini ivf for older patients when that’s what I was there for! Another example of need to self directed treatment because the person in charge isn’t paying attention.
If you are of advanced age do not let them give you an appointment with her. You need to see doctor Check. They are in the same office but do not subscribe to the same protocols.
She was nice 1st visit. She set me up for surgery to address what penn said was a blocked Fallopian tube. She advised me to call the ivf nurses at the end of the month to order ivf meds. She said I didn’t have a lot of time.
Good surgeon. Otherwise her treatments are non aggressive.
Most of the nurses are nice. Due to volume there is a lack of attention to each patient when reviewing files and giving instructions. Easy blood and ultrasound appointments. You can be in and out in 20 minutes.
Low
No idea.
Jung Kyo Choe

Uterine Fibroids, Other
I never doubted he was absolutely brilliant and a leader in his field. He is funny, and as someone who needs a little humor I appreciated it. He seems to care immensely about the financial aspect of infertility. But you don't often get to see him. I only saw Dr Check once during the initial consultation. he does a post coital test. From what I have heard not many doctors do this. By doing this simple test they discovered my cervical mucus was killing all of the sperm. The fix was an easy douche of water and baking soda once a month. Everyone though this was insane but it worked. I was prescribed medication for the hyperthyroidism. Each cycle was close monitoring to watch for ovulation, followed by progesterone (he seems very keen on progesterone) and a Lupron shot one week after ovulation.
There were 2 main nurses. [at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] I found that once I got to know them a bit they were awesome. I sometimes felt like I had to slow them down to ask questions but they were always happy to answer. They were the best. Seriously made the whole thing easier and once they got to know me I felt like they were cheering me on. Same for the pregnancy nurse Becky.
Uterine Fibroids, Other
He's often described as a mad scientist. I never doubted he was absolutely brilliant and a leader in his field. He is funny, and as someone who needs a little humor I appreciated it. He seems to care immensely about the financial aspect of infertility. But you don't often get to see him.
Get to know everyone else in the office. You will deal with them, not Dr Check as much.
I only saw Dr Check once during the initial consultation. After that you are shuffled along the process. It got better once I got to know the nurses and techs and unserstood the process better. You sort of have to trust that he is overseeing everything and will take you to the next step as needed.
This is a big one for me: he does a post coital test. From what I have heard not many doctors do this. By doing this simple test they discovered my cervical mucus was killing all of the sperm. The fix was an easy douche of water and baking soda once a month. Everyone though this was insane but it worked. I was prescribed medication for the hyperthyroidism. Each cycle was close monitoring to watch for ovulation, followed by progesterone (he seems very keen on progesterone) and a Lupron shot one week after ovulation.
There were 2 main nurses. I found that once I got to know them a bit they were awesome. I sometimes felt like I had to slow them down to ask questions but they were always happy to answer. They were the best. Seriously made the whole thing easier and once they got to know me I felt like they were cheering me on. Same for the pregnancy nurse Becky.
It will seem overwhelming in the beginning. Do not be afraid to ask questions, even if you have to keep them on the phone longer or call them back.
I was incredibly lucky. My insurance wad amazing. That being said, during my first appointment I received a large chart of the cost for everything and it seemed to be far more reasonable than I have heard of others paying. I also saw a lot of messaging about them trying to make treatments as reasonable as possible for patients.
When I had my miscarriage I had to decide between a D&c and to use med to pass it myself. It was an incredibly emotional and horrifying time for me. I first spoke with Dr Check and was set on the surgery. But then I consulted with an OB (in Dr Check's own office) and I felt incredibly pushed to passing it at home. He scared me about the chance of scarring and not ever being able to have children. I asked him what the chances were of that and I will never forget his answer: "well 100% if it happens to you" I was terrified and decided against the surgery. It wasn't until Dr Check called me back later that evening and graciously spoke to me for awhile that I better understood the pluses and minuses of both and switched back to the surgery. I'm so happy I did. I was upset by the confusing and contradictory messaging during an awful time.

2015 - 2019
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
He [Dr. Check] treated me like an individual. Felt like my treatment was created for only me. Didn’t feel like it was an infertility factory where every case is treated the same.... He cared for my health not just infertility. He is kind, smart and takes costs into consideration which is a big factor when you seek infertility care with no infertility insurance. His costs were the lowest, but his knowledge is better then the higher prices, fancy fertility clinics.
Strengths [ of Cooper Institute for Advanced Repro Med]: more affordable, knowledgeable doctor, thinking outside the box treatments, published many papers. Cons: can be waiting for doctor for 2-3 hours. Sometimes receptionists are not in a good mood. Talk about personal information in front of waiting room... Always called back the same day and answered all questions. Asked doctor questions if she didn’t have the answer. She always called back the same day with answer.
2015 - 2019
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
You will becomes pregnant with his help. Just have faith and patience.
He treated me like an individual. Felt like my treatment was created for only me. Didn’t feel like it was an infertility factory where every case is treated the same.
I didn’t have any reactions to ivf meds. Gonal-f, menopour, Ganerelix, Norvel, progesterone in oil, progesterone, suppositories, Estrace. The progesterone in oil shots hurt. Need to use a large needle. Nurses marked where I needed to inject shot. Overall it wasn’t bad and if I had the funds I would do it again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Strengths: more affordable, knowledgeable doctor, thinking outside the box treatments, published many papers. Cons: can be waiting for doctor for 2-3 hours. Sometimes receptionists are not in a good mood. Talk about personal information in front of waiting room
For ivf it’s 4250 plus blood and ultrasound $1600 Fet: $3250 plus 800 for blood and ultrasound.
He wanted to transfer 2 day 3 embryos. I didn’t want twins. I transferred 1 day 3. It was a negative pregnancy test

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Other
You will know exactly where you stand [with Dr. Check]. The information comes fast but he knows what he’s doing. It’s all about the outcome of a child -not his percentages. I really cannot recommend him enough...I had a short literal phase. I was on hormones to lengthen it...He believed I didn’t even need IVF but after a few years of going through infertility with other doctors, I was impatient. I ended up having IVF with Dr Check (using my own egg) one time resulting in a pregnancy and ultimately a beautiful, healthy daughter...
I spent less than $2000 for IVF [at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] which is still incredible to me...It was hectic.The nurses are brusk. They have a lot to do but yet weren’t unfriendly and they were great about always bringing up ways to save me money. It wasn’t about the clinic for me. It was all about the doctor... the clinic itself does feel like your a number but when you are with Dr. Check, he is completely focused on you. He will answer every question including many you don’t think to ask.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Other
Dr Check is brilliant. I know it sounds hyperbolic but he really is. He took me when no one else would. I traveled across the country to work with him along with women from all over the world. He was always trying to save me money and explain exactly what was happening. He was so ahead of what other doctors were doing. I was told by other doctors that I would need to use donor eggs period. He enabled me to use my own egg and I was pregnant after 1 IVF cycle.
You will know exactly where you stand. The information comes fast but he knows what he’s doing. It’s all about the outcome of a child -not his percentages. I really cannot recommend him enough.
Sooo, the clinic itself does feel like your a number but when you are with Dr. Check, he is completely focused on you. He will answer every question including many you don’t think to ask.
I had a short literal phase. I was on hormones to lengthen it. If you can get the literal phase to go past 11 days, the viability of the egg is much improved. He believed I didn’t even need IVF but after a few years of going through infertility with other doctors, I was impatient. I ended up having IVF with Dr Check (using my own egg) one time resulting in a pregnancy and ultimately a beautiful, healthy daughter.
They were from New Jersey. It’s different than the Midwest and South where I’ve lived so they seemed brisk but I wasn’t there for the nurses.
I spent less than $2000 for IVF which is still incredible to me.
Houston

Dr. Chuong & staff made me feel very comfortable in a not great situation. The worked with me and showed compassion and care. They gave there opinions but ultimately let my husband and I make the decisions...Dr. James Chuong is a great doctor and know what he is doing. He made me feel comfortable and well aware of the process and procedure he was doing. He doesn't beat around the bush and he takes his job very serious...Ask questions, he will answer any question you have. I asked him so many and he never had a problem with answering them.
[Cooper Institute for Adv Repr Med] Strengths - They know what they are doing, they are very compassionate, they answer all your questions and concerns, they are gentle and nice, the are understanding, amazing prices for services, they do every procedure in office in there lab Weaknesses - Sometimes a little slow on getting back to you...She [nurse] was amazing! She always kept in touch with, contacted me numerous times to check on me. Answered so many of my questions and concerns. If I was nervous, scared, emotional, upset she always had the right words to make me feel better. She really became a friend to us.
How was your experience with James Chuong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Chuong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Chuong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols James Chuong used in your cycles at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I took Birth control pills, then started Lupron injections. Went in for multiple ultrasounds and bloodwork. I then took Menopur & Bravelle as my stimulation drugs. I then had my trigger shot before my retrieval. After Transfer I took progesterone in oil & progesterone suppositories.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Antionette C.)
She was amazing! She always kept in touch with, contacted me numerous times to check on me. Answered so many of my questions and concerns. If I was nervous, scared, emotional, upset she always had the right words to make me feel better. She really became a friend to us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Chuong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
I would estimate around $13,000.00
Houston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with James Chuong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.

[Dr. James Chuong] is extremely personable and very detailed. He used pictures and made diagrams to explain everything very well. We felt quite comfortable discussing with him. He took time to answer all our questions and was not in any rush. I really liked his honest and in depth informative approach...In our case he recommended eSET...was very thorough and informative about the procedures and the treatment plans. He spend good amount of time explaining every step and really nice. However, the facility overall was not too charming or impressive. Lots of signs for no trespassing and seemed a little strange being in the waiting room. the staff and everyone was quite nice but still had a strange feeling about the place.
the facility [Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] overall was not too charming or impressive. Lots of signs for no trespassing and seemed a little strange being in the waiting room. the staff and everyone was quite nice but still had a strange feeling about the place...$10900 for the IVF with PGS...Clinic was in a oldish building. Parking was paid but they validate. The waiting area was not impressive. It had a lot of signs for solicitors etc which were not very appealing. Seemed rather small and congested.
Dr Chung is extremely personable and very detailed. He used pictures and made diagrams to explain everything very well. We felt quite comfortable discussing with him. He took time to answer all our questions and was not in any rush. I really liked his honest and in depth informative approach..
Take as many questions as you can think of so he can cover everything with you.
Dr Chung was very thorough and informative about the procedures and the treatment plans. He spend good amount of time explaining every step and really nice. However, the facility overall was not too charming or impressive. Lots of signs for no trespassing and seemed a little strange being in the waiting room. the staff and everyone was quite nice but still had a strange feeling about the place.
$10900 for the IVF with PGS.
Describe James Chuong's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
In our case he recommended eSET

2020
Endometriosis, Other
The first appointment [with Dr. Check] was just a consultation but I ended up getting so much done and even a diagnosis...I was diagnosed with Endometriosis and he prescribed me medicine to help with it. He prescribed me thyroid medicine for hyperthyroidism. My progesterone was low so I am on progesterone. Monitored me very closely. It is possible that my egg is not releasing so if pregnancy wasn't achieved this month I will have hcg injection next month...He took time with me and listened. He ran tests that I hadn't had done by another doctor and explained things well. He gave me a lot of research he had done on a drug that would help my endometriosis which made me feel well informed!
The [nurses at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] are so helpful and they truly care. They monitor you closely and are always easy to reach with any questions! Very friendly!...The clinic is very welcoming and professional. It is very organized and they are helpful when you are new and don't know how things work. My one and only complaint would be the billing/ payment side is a little odd. Not bad just not like most doctors offices so that takes some getting use to...With Dr. Check I feel cared for. The first appointment was just a consultation but I ended up getting so much done and even a diagnosis. They want to get you pregnant!
2020
Endometriosis, Other
Dr. Check didn't waiste time figuring out why I was experiencing infertility. He took time with me and listened. He ran tests that I hadn't had done by another doctor and explained things well. He gave me a lot of research he had done on a drug that would help my endometriosis which made me feel well informed!
Be ready to get answers!
I have been to another specialist that I felt didn't pay attention or monitor me enough and also didn't properly diagnose me. I felt that if you weren't doing ivf they didn't care about you. With Dr. Check I feel cared for. The first appointment was just a consultation but I ended up getting so much done and even a diagnosis. They want to get you pregnant!
Husbands sperm was check and it was great. I was diagnosed with Endometriosis and he prescribed me medicine to help with it. He prescribed me thyroid medicine for hyperthyroidism. My progesterone was low so I am on progesterone. Monitored me very closely. It is possible that my egg is not releasing so if pregnancy wasn't achieved this month I will have hcg injection next month.
The are so helpful and they truly care. They monitor you closely and are always easy to reach with any questions! Very friendly!