6.7

Genetic counseling is not offered

7500 Beechnut Street
Houston, TX 77074
(713)-771-9771

Dr Check is an exceptional doctor. Brilliant in fact. He can provide treatment no other doctor is willing to try. Unfortunately he is not as hands on as a patient would expect.... I had 4 appointments with Dr. Check over a 2 year period. He was attentive, sympathetic, and provided lots of info.... The remainder of my care was left to an intern and nurse who reviewed my blood and ultrasound results and provided instructions.
Strength [of Cooper Institute]: treatment options available, particularly patients turned away from other clinics that can’t be bothered to try treating you because the perceive the success rate to be to low. Weakness: lack of attention to detail. Nurses barely read my file. Overlooked key information such as my age and history.... It’s described as a self directing free flowing office. If your new to infertility or IVF you will be at a disadvantage.
How was your experience with Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Check is an exceptional doctor. Brilliant in fact. He can provide treatment no other doctor is willing to try. Unfortunately he is not as hands on as a patient would expect. It’s described as a self directing free flowing office. If your new to infertility or IVF you will be at a disadvantage.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Be aggressive with questions and your requested treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
I had 4 appointments with Dr. Check over a 2 year period. He was attentive, sympathetic, and provided lots of info. He was candid about my situation but was very positive and upbeat. The remainder of my care was left to an intern and nurse who reviewed my blood and ultrasound results and provided instructions. I had to correct them many times. They were unaware of the details unique to my situation until I pointed them out.
Describe the protocols Jerome Check used in your cycles at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Oral Estrogen treatment to lower FSH and stimulate follicle growth then one egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Most of the nurses are caring and compassionate. There are a few that lack patience.
Describe your experience with Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Strength: treatment options available, particularly patients turned away from other clinics that can’t be bothered to try treating you because the perceive the success rate to be to low. Weakness: lack of attention to detail. Nurses barely read my file. Overlooked key information such as my age and history. I had to nearly manage my own care. For example I was given instructions to bring on men’s traction at 30 days when my history of ovulating was around 45 days. I was once incorrectly instructed to inject follistim because they failed to notice my age. I was told I didn’t need an ultrasound the day before my retrieval. It’s these details that can make or break each patients outcome.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Low cost.
Describe Jerome Check's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
What specific things went wrong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
I’m extremely sensitive to medications. I felt like my retrieval was a circus. I probably didn’t need the additional follistim and I’m relatively certain I ovulated the morning before taking the trigger shot. When I told the nurse I had a high fever and felt the ovulation she said maybe, but blew me off - they don’t track body temp. Needless to say they were all surprised the day of retrieval that both follicles released early. I wasn’t. They ended up giving me IUI, 48 hours after I knew I ovulated. Had I kept my ultrasound appointment the nurse told me was not needed the day before maybe IUI would have had a better chance. Lack of individual attention to detail over all. Get them in, get them out mentality. The head nurse gave me the cash paid portion of my money back and said “Now your can go shopping.” After the IUI, one nurse asked if I could remain in the room for 20 minutes but the head nurse was in a big hurry to get me out of the room. I went outside and laid on a bench while I waited for my husband to pick me up. When we tried to get a refund for the retrieval that never happened our numerous calls were not returned. After 2 month of ignoring our calls my husband had to leave work and go there to force billing to credit our credit card. Awful experience.
Houston

He [Dr. Jerome Check] stated ICSI would be prepared and two embryos transferred. This didn’t happen as one embryo was transferred and my body was overstimulated. When originally I was told if this happen they would freeze all the embryos until my body calmed down...The appointments weren’t intimate and or personal you were in and out literally... is very knowledgeable about infertility and reads lots of statistics. However, he doesn’t practice so seeing him makes it hard to take into consideration his opinion. The other doctor did my retrieval and transfer and I didn’t know her at all. Check was personal and neither was his staff
They [The nurses at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] were always in a rush and would call me late in the day with what mediations to take during my cycle. It was rushed and left me at times feeling alone and confused about the injections and if I was doing it right...when I called to pay my quarterly payment for my embryos in storage. I was told I only had 12 eggs in storage when after the transfer I had 15. I was unaware of this and don’t have paperwork to confirm this. I still don’t know what was wrong with those 3 embryos all I was told is they were discarded
Dr. Check is very knowledgeable about infertility and reads lots of statistics. However, he doesn’t practice so seeing him makes it hard to take into consideration his opinion. The other doctor did my retrieval and transfer and I didn’t know her at all. Check was personal and neither was his staff
Be open and ok with being left on your own to weather the storm of infertility. Make sure to advocate for yourself
The appointments weren’t intimate and or personal you were in and out literally. If I was waiting I was waiting and felt to be sitting too long nurses would take their time to do bloodwork and ultrasounds
He stated ICSI would be prepared and two embryos transferred. This didn’t happen as one embryo was transferred and my body was overstimulated. When originally I was told if this happen they would freeze all the embryos until my body calmed down
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy Hallahan)
They were always in a rush and would call me late in the day with what mediations to take during my cycle. It was rushed and left me at times feeling alone and confused about the injections and if I was doing it right
The cost of the cycle was inexpensive; however the thing that really bothered me is the lack of support and community from the staff. I felt alone during a time support was needed. I was left to make many decisions without lots of help from a staff that was supposed to assist me with the rollercoaster of emotions I was feeling. I was scared and uncertain
4,525( IVF Procedure) 1,100(ICSI) 1,600( Blood&Ultrasounds)
Dr. Check seemed alright with transferring multiple but the doctor who did my transfer was described to me As “unorthodox” so transferring more than one wasn’t be in her plan
Recently back in Natch when I called to pay my quarterly payment for my embryos in storage. I was told I only had 12 eggs in storage when after the transfer I had 15. I was unaware of this and don’t have paperwork to confirm this. I still don’t know what was wrong with those 3 embryos all I was told is they were discarded
Houston

She [Dr. Choe] was nice 1st visit. She set me up for surgery to address what penn said was a blocked Fallopian tube. She advised me to call the ivf nurses at the end of the month to order ivf meds. She said I didn’t have a lot of time....2nd appointment she didn’t remember me until about 1/2 hour in, then she told us I was too old to use the $2200.00 in ivf medication she instructed me to order! I ovulated the next 2 months on my own but she told me to go home and have intercourse even though my husbands sperm had documented motility issues.
Most of the nurses [Cooper Institute] are nice. Due to volume there is a lack of attention to each patient when reviewing files and giving instructions. Easy blood and ultrasound appointments. You can be in and out in 20 minutes.... Lack of consistency. Told to order meds then told your too old to use them. Lack of planning over all or just asking what the patients expectations are. Not every patient wants to use an egg donor.
How was your experience with Jung Kyo Choe at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
After 1st appointment I had a very successful surgery and as instructed called ivf nurses to order my meds. 2nd appointment she didn’t remember me until about 1/2 hour in, then she told us I was too old to use the $2200.00 in ivf medication she instructed me to order! I ovulated the next 2 months on my own but she told me to go home and have intercourse even though my husbands sperm had documented motility issues. Why didn’t she offer me IUI? I didn’t know until several months later she doesn’t believe in mini ivf for older patients when that’s what I was there for! Another example of need to self directed treatment because the person in charge isn’t paying attention.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jung Kyo Choe at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
If you are of advanced age do not let them give you an appointment with her. You need to see doctor Check. They are in the same office but do not subscribe to the same protocols.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jung Kyo Choe at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
She was nice 1st visit. She set me up for surgery to address what penn said was a blocked Fallopian tube. She advised me to call the ivf nurses at the end of the month to order ivf meds. She said I didn’t have a lot of time.
Describe the protocols Jung Kyo Choe used in your cycles at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Good surgeon. Otherwise her treatments are non aggressive.
Most of the nurses are nice. Due to volume there is a lack of attention to each patient when reviewing files and giving instructions. Easy blood and ultrasound appointments. You can be in and out in 20 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jung Kyo Choe at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Low
Describe Jung Kyo Choe's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
No idea.
Jung Kyo Choe
Houston

Be an advocate for yourself. You won't get time with Dr. Check unless you specifically request it - this many be up to a month at times. And if you only want him to review case, be specific about that...I have low ovarian reserve and was given very high doses of Menopur only for each cycle. We tried other things, but mostly a lot of injectables...I have great respect for the knowledge and interest he still has in this science after so many years. Although we did not conceive, I admire Dr. Check's willingness to spend time with me during scheduled consultations. On one visit he spent 2 hours with me. All in all, he was also confused by my situation and showed a vested interest in that, which gave me comfort in all of the overwhelmingness.
The nursing staff for IVF [at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] was very professional. Quick and not very friendly, but getting the job done. The regular nurses were very pleasant, especially Jackie...I have found that Cooper does a reasonably priced IVF...The clinic seems a little dated and there are some things that can be added to the office that would make it more inviting and organized. The nurses are ok, they are hit or miss. They are human too, we are all entitled to bad days sometimes. It took a while for the nurses to be friendly with me. No one explained the expectations or processes of the office when I first came to the practice. And when I asked for help with injection instructions in the beginning, the nurse seemed annoyed with me. I felt like my husband received better treatment from the staff than I did. However, the IVF nurses and staff were my favorite people! I enjoyed Jessie (Nurse), Melissa (Embryologist) and Bob (Anesthesiologist) the most.
Dr. Check is brilliant. I have great respect for the knowledge and interest he still has in this science after so many years. Although we did not conceive, I admire Dr. Check's willingness to spend time with me during scheduled consultations. On one visit he spent 2 hours with me. All in all, he was also confused by my situation and showed a vested interest in that, which gave me comfort in all of the overwhelmingness.
Be an advocate for yourself. You won't get time with Dr. Check unless you specifically request it - this many be up to a month at times. And if you only want him to review case, be specific about that. Dr. Cohen in the practice is great, she did my first egg retrieval. However, I would not recommend Dr. Choe if you are not up for blunt and fast delivery of instructions and news.
The facility is factory-like. When I first starting seeing this practice, no one warmly greeted me or walked me through the expectations of the practice. I did not have a designated nurse. It wasn't until I had been going to the practice for years that I started to gain rapport with the nurses.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jackie, Karen, Phyllis, Jessie)
The nursing staff for IVF was very professional. Quick and not very friendly, but getting the job done. The regular nurses were very pleasant, especially Jackie.
We had health insurance for IVF procedures, however, we needed to pay out of pocket for meds. All in all, I have found that Cooper does a reasonably priced IVF.
I agreed with my Doctor's consultations regarding embryo transfer.

2019, Consult
[Dr. James Chuong] is extremely personable and very detailed. He used pictures and made diagrams to explain everything very well. We felt quite comfortable discussing with him. He took time to answer all our questions and was not in any rush. I really liked his honest and in depth informative approach...In our case he recommended eSET...was very thorough and informative about the procedures and the treatment plans. He spend good amount of time explaining every step and really nice. However, the facility overall was not too charming or impressive. Lots of signs for no trespassing and seemed a little strange being in the waiting room. the staff and everyone was quite nice but still had a strange feeling about the place.
the facility [Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] overall was not too charming or impressive. Lots of signs for no trespassing and seemed a little strange being in the waiting room. the staff and everyone was quite nice but still had a strange feeling about the place...$10900 for the IVF with PGS...Clinic was in a oldish building. Parking was paid but they validate. The waiting area was not impressive. It had a lot of signs for solicitors etc which were not very appealing. Seemed rather small and congested.
How was your experience with James Chuong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Chung is extremely personable and very detailed. He used pictures and made diagrams to explain everything very well. We felt quite comfortable discussing with him. He took time to answer all our questions and was not in any rush. I really liked his honest and in depth informative approach..
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Chuong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Take as many questions as you can think of so he can cover everything with you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Chuong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Chung was very thorough and informative about the procedures and the treatment plans. He spend good amount of time explaining every step and really nice. However, the facility overall was not too charming or impressive. Lots of signs for no trespassing and seemed a little strange being in the waiting room. the staff and everyone was quite nice but still had a strange feeling about the place.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Chuong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
$10900 for the IVF with PGS.
Describe James Chuong's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
In our case he recommended eSET
James Chuong
Houston

He [Dr. Jerome Check] will transfer multiple embryos. He likes day 2 or 3 fresh transfers...he spends a lot of time educating you and seems to care...When he did my pelvic exam and also a pap test, I was alone in the exam room with him and didn't feel very comfortable. There wasn't a nurse with us which I felt was very strange. I would request that if you see him...He uses low dose injectable meds.
it is affordable [at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine]. Prices are a la carte...They are busy and don't have enough staff to handle the load. They do not use a patient portal or much technology such as email. They seem to have good ultrasound equipment. No one followed up with me or called me back when I was ready to start my cycle so I was not able to start my cycle on time.
Make sure a nurse is in the room when and if he examines you. I think he examines most patients.
he spends a lot of time educating you and seems to care.
He uses low dose injectable meds.
I only got a phone call from one after my first appt to go over my blood results.
The prices are very reasonable. They have a la carte pricing. They are busy and don't have enough staff to handle the load. They do not use a patient portal or much technology such as email. They seem to have good ultrasound equipment. No one followed up with me or called me back when I was ready to start my cycle so I was not able to start my cycle on time.
it is affordable. Prices are a la carte.
He will transfer multiple embryos. He likes day 2 or 3 fresh transfers
I never got a phone call back when I was ready to start my cycle so that cycle was lost. My clock was ticking too as I had just turned 40.