6.7

7500 Beechnut Street
Houston, TX 77074
(713)-771-9771

2017 - 2019, Successful
I will say, some of the nurses [at Cooper Institute] were very kind. However, others did not show the compassion that women battling infertility should receive. This is an area that does need improvement in the office. We are women who are scared, have experienced loss and may have a lot of questions.... There were a few times I needed to call in and provide reminders to send prescriptions but typically this was not an issue.
How was your experience with Rachael Cohen at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Cohen LISTENS in a world where many physicians take on a particular approach without the input of the patient. She heard me when I said I felt that something wasn’t right and did not want to proceed with anymore transfers before figuring out what my problem was. She helped me to control my thyroid, she did a laparoscopy to address stage 3 endometriosis and she let me be in the drivers seat of my care which is so incredibly important. Going through infertility is bad enough, but having a kind and compassionate physician who brings you hope and follows proper protocol is SO important. Dr. Cohen went through the proper steps for me and listened to my opinions. For that, I am so grateful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachael Cohen at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Be vocal. Let her know your concerns. Listen to her advice but also trust your gut if something does not feel right to you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachael Cohen at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Cohen listened to me even at times where she didn’t entirely agreed. Unlike the first physician I saw she went through the appropriate steps of treatment and diagnostic testing. She allowed me to have a voice which I felt had been taken from me. It was not until this Dr. that I had faith that I would become pregnant. Despite our very sad outcome, she was a wonderful and attentive Dr. and I will be returning to her in hopes of a rainbow baby after the passing of our twins.
Describe the protocols Rachael Cohen used in your cycles at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
After a previous failed transfer with NO diagnostic testing Dr. Cohen performed a mock transfer (I have a retroverted uterus so this helped her gain a better picture for the transfer) she did a hysterosalpinogram (checking to see if tubes were blocked) she did a laparoscopy for endometriosis (to detect any tubal blockages or scar tissue impacting conception or causing risk of an ectopic pregnancy) and then we prepped for a transfer. That transfer was canceled due to my lining however, the next transfer scheduled a month later was successful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
I will say, some of the nurses were very kind. However, others did not show the compassion that women battling infertility should receive. This is an area that does need improvement in the office. We are women who are scared, have experienced loss and may have a lot of questions. I understand the days are long and hard but patience, care and empathy is so important. We just want what most women want, a family. This does not speak to all of the nurses, just some who would appear very frustrated if something was not understood.
Describe your experience with Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: thinking outside of the box and being willing to take on “tough” cases. Understanding the high costs of infertility treatment and providing lower costs for treatment. Dr. Cohen being a Dr. who really listens and empathizes and is also willing to think outside of the box. Weaknesses: some of the other staff members really just need to practice a little bit more compassion and empathy. Infertility is a horrible disease. My only qualm with the office. There needs to be more patience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachael Cohen at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
I paid for several procedures out of pocket until my laparoscopy and Dr. Cohen and the billing department helped me to gain fertility coverage after being denied although I was diagnosed with endometriosis
Describe Rachael Cohen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Unfortunately, we did transfer 2 embryos because prior transfers with 2 resulted in no pregnancy. Unfortunately, my twin pregnancy resulted in loss. I lost my son at 4.5 months and my daughter was born at 27 weeks and passed away at 3 months due to a rare lung condition. At the time, we thought transferring two was our best option with very limited funds. Although I did achieve a pregnancy, based upon our circumstances I would only ever transfer one.
What specific things went wrong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
There were a few times I needed to call in and provide reminders to send prescriptions but typically this was not an issue. Prior to Dr. Cohen I had received conflicting information on my case and diagnoses which is why now, I will only see her
Rachael Cohen
Houston
I believe dr. Check is very experienced and knowledgeable. After your consultation you are basically left in the hands of nurses that I would believe are reporting back to him. But I feels like once you leave the office your file is tucked away until you are back for another appointment. No follow up or anything. You are asked questions that you expect dr. Check to have went over and answered before your appointment...I feel like I am leading the team....
There is a break Communications amongst the team [at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine], patient need more aggressive approach to root cause issues, and finally the office staff/nurses need to be more compassionate and warm...I believe some improvement needs to made when it comes to communication and staying on top of things. I feel like I am leading the team....
How was your experience with Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Follow up with calls and advocate for yourself
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Jerome Check used in your cycles at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I have been seeing Dr. check for almost a year. I was just started on clomid with a trigger and timed intercourses. I am currently on my tww. Hopefully I am pregnant or we will have to do one more clomid circle before moving forward with another plan
Some days are better than others. Overall, I think they could be a little more compassionate and warm. And on top of things more
The clinic has a great Doctor as a leader; Dr. check is experience and knowledge but your team is only as strong and good as you, to make a great clinical experience for your patients. They could be more aggressive with getting down to the root cause of every patient infertility issues. Everyone is different.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jerome Check at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
I have been paying out of pocket for consultations
Describe Jerome Check's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Cooper Institute for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
There is a break Communications amongst the team, patient need more aggressive approach to root cause issues, and finally the office staff/nurses need to be more compassionate and warm
Jerome Check
Houston

Dr Check did not think I needed IVF since I got pregnant twice on my own (miscarried once) so I wasted ALOT of time. He kept pushing me to just be patient. By the time he finally discovered the uterine scarring, my insurance no longer covered IVF and I was out of luck. I wish he had been more aggressive...is a bit scattered. He was great at our initial appointment, but after that---seemed very aloof. I was there for so long that they all got to know me very well, so that helped in not feeling like a number.
The clinic in NJ is beautiful and state of the art. They have a great waiting area and make it very comfortable for the patients. The location in PA is bizarre--Its like a weird, old home that happens to have ultrasound equipment in it. It is not comfortable or appealing at all!...The nurses were wonderful, for the most part. They provide the human part of this clinic...A few of the ultrasound techs would give me only pieces of information, leading to more confusion. Generally, they are nice. Jackie was really wonderful
This Doctor is a little odd. He's kind of like a mad scientist. He certainly thinks outside the box, and is willing to entertain any ideas you bring---if you have reasons to back it up. He has truly done wonders for some women. For me, I always felt worried that he didn't remember who I was, my story or my issues. I was constantly repeating myself during our meetings. He wasn't super compassionate. He wasn't nasty or anything--just kind "been there, done that." He seemed very unaffected by my desperation and worry.
You'll need patience and a sense of humor. Trust, too--sometimes blindly.
The nurses were wonderful, for the most part. They provide the human part of this clinic. The Doctor himself is a bit scattered. He was great at our initial appointment, but after that---seemed very aloof. I was there for so long that they all got to know me very well, so that helped in not feeling like a number.
Most of the nurses were great. The one who was with me when I miscarried was incredibly kind. Another got visibly annoyed with me when I got emotional about my diagnosis--so it varied greatly. A few of the ultrasound techs would give me only pieces of information, leading to more confusion. Generally, they are nice. Jackie was really wonderful
While nothing SPECIFICALLY went wrong, the office is a chaotic mess of paperwork. It worried me, to a degree--but Dr. Check came so highly recommended that I stayed for a while. I only wish the doctors had been more aggressive in my treatment.
Jerome Check