7.2

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
IUI With Other Docs
12 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Surrogacy With Other Docs
Dr Wood is an excellent salesman for his "Global Mini IVF Package" for patients of my profile (under a minimum threshold of AMH/AFC and have undergone Ovarian Rejuvenation at Gen5...[he] has a lot of patients and he didn't remember my case specifics, I almost always had to remind him...for single egg retrievals Dr. Wood will consider no anesthesia for patients who can tolerate pain/discomfort and I did appreciate the lower drug burden on my system...
[the Gen 5 Fertility Center] always gave me the appointment time I wanted but I was often left waiting for up to an hour. The facilities and view are beautiful, but the male collection room is a bathroom, which unnerved my husband...[the nurses was] caring and knowledgeable. She made a very tough experience more bearable...$8,480 "Global Mini IVF Package" of 3 accumulative cycles, included MANY services we never required: $25,950 ($4,850 refunded after no success)
How was your experience with Samuel Wood at Gen 5 Fertility Center?
Dr Wood is an excellent salesman for his "Global Mini IVF Package" for patients of my profile (under a minimum threshold of AMH/AFC and have undergone Ovarian Rejuvenation at Gen5). When I first met him, I felt reassured that I'd come to someone on the cutting-edge of ART who had new ideas for older patients, his specialty. So it was hard to hear him blame my age for the lack of success we had at Gen5, particularly because I attribute it in large part to his inattention to the specifics of my case, which were all available for review in my medical records and highlighted in multiple conversations we had with him directly. I had been having remarkable success at my home clinic in LA: retrieving eggs one-at-a-time in unstimulated cycles and growing blastocysts, but we were seeking to improve our PGT-A results and bank more normal embryos. I first underwent Dr. Wood's "Ultra" Ovarian Rejuvenation PRP (platelet-rich-plasma) technique. Then I signed on for his IVF package since he expressed confidence he could improve on my home clinic's results in terms of number of eggs retrieved and normality of blastocysts. I asked for an a la carte option but was convinced the package would be more economical. When Dr. Wood's methods didn't work at all for me 2 cycles into the 3 cycle package, he suggested pivoting back to the natural retrievals and blamed my "reproductive age" for the outcome. Wait, we thought, isn't that what you sold us, improved results for older patients? I declined to go back to my home clinic and received a small partial refund. All that said, I don't know of anyone performing the Ovarian Rejuvenation techniques he does, so I would still recommend him to a patient like me who does not wish to leave any stone unturned and has funds available for this pursuit. The application of PRP to ovaries is not evidence-based medicine at this point in time, so I fully understood it was experimental and may not give me the desired results. I only wish I'd followed my instinct to go back to my original clinic for the post-PRP retrievals and not been sweet-talked into buying the package that Dr. Wood sold us on his supposedly unique methods which would yield a higher number of eggs-- when in fact he was only able to retrieve one, and it did not even fertilize (a problem we did not face at our home clinic). Perhaps if the embryology lab had not used ICSI in the first cycle, which we expressed multiple times to Dr. Wood that we had never needed in a year of monthly retrievals, we might have gotten to fertilization at least. On the second cycle there was NO egg in the follicle, which even as a layperson I would have known based on the low Estradiol level in my blood (about 60) 2 days before the retrieval. But they did not share that lab work with us, so we didn't know to cancel and the fruitless procedure went on. One positive is that for single egg retrievals Dr. Wood will consider no anesthesia for patients who can tolerate pain/discomfort and I did appreciate the lower drug burden on my system.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Wood at Gen 5 Fertility Center?
Go into your consultation with your eyes open and trust your gut.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Wood at Gen 5 Fertility Center?
Everyone is polite and kind, but it felt like a production line. As far as I could tell, Dr. Wood has a lot of patients and he didn't remember my case specifics, I almost always had to remind him.
Describe the protocols Samuel Wood used in your cycles at Gen 5 Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Wood is big on "pre-treatment" a.k.a. estrogen priming, with full or partial BCP in before the menstrual phase. This method really did not work for me. He tailors the rest of the protocol to the patient; since one of my follicles always dominated, I didn't take many drugs, just some Gonal-F and Centrotide, and the Ovidrel trigger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Gen 5 Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Marissa Aguirre )
Marissa is a gem: she is caring and knowledgeable. She made a very tough experience more bearable.
Describe your experience with Gen 5 Fertility Center.
They always gave me the appointment time I wanted but I was often left waiting for up to an hour. The facilities and view are beautiful, but the male collection room is a bathroom, which unnerved my husband.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Wood at Gen 5 Fertility Center.
Consult + Fertility Testing $75 + $240 "Ultra" Ovarian Rejuvenation PRP: $8,480 "Global Mini IVF Package" of 3 accumulative cycles, included MANY services we never required: $25,950 ($4,850 refunded after no success)
What specific things went wrong at Gen 5 Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Gen 5 Fertility Center.
Gen5 expects you to supply extensive medical records and even take more tests (e.g. karyotyping) than other clinics do. Yet the data in my records was not reviewed and applied to my cycles.
Samuel Wood

2021 - 2022, Successful
2 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Wood was very direct in his communication...He was extremely black and white with his judgments on certain treatments (like laparoscopic surgery or lupron depot induced menopause). I would have preferred more data behind these claims...Dr. Wood shared that the most successful IVF transfers are from natural cycles (i.e. no stims at all) so he does the minimum to keep egg quality at its peak
Strengths [of Gen 5 Fertility Center] - this doctor has the most experience in the US with Ovarian PRP and is an expert in managing DOR Weaknesses - the communication from the scheduling and nursing staff left much to be desired, the finance team was not familiar with working with insurance (we had Aetna), the cost of the treatments here compared to other clinics was high (and part of what you pay for is the view.. via a $1500 facility fee)
How was your experience with Samuel Wood at Gen 5 Fertility Center?
Dr. Wood was very direct in his communication and would say things like "I've done this so many times, other clinics don't do this right, trust me." He was extremely black and white with his judgments on certain treatments (like laparoscopic surgery or lupron depot induced menopause). I would have preferred more data behind these claims. Not that he is wrong it just put up red flags for me, because there is too much on the line to "just trust." We were ultimately much happier with the results with Gen5 than with our other clinic so we would go back.
The experience in person is much better than remote. If you are traveling, it is worth it to be in-person where you will get many more of your questions answered. Write down your questions and bring them in with you because the appointments are so quick Dr. Wood will be walking out the door before you can think to ask otherwise.
I was passed off to 5 or so different primary points of contact throughout the 5-6 months I was with the clinic with no introduction or reasoning behind the switches. I would email 2-3 questions and receive a one phrase response to one or 2 of the questions, meaning I'd have to continually pester them to get the rest of my questions answered. Every time I talked to the doctor after our initial consult he only had 5-10 mins to speak to me. The doctors answers were extremely direct. He might mention a relevant study but he did not share them with me. I'm a very educated person and wanted to understand every decision and option for me.
Ovarian PRP to improve egg quality, followed by monitoring to watch for a dip and improvement in hormone levels, then a very low dose antagonist stim, steriod, and antibiotics for both partners Dr. Wood shared that the most successful IVF transfers are from natural cycles (i.e. no stims at all) so he does the minimum to keep egg quality at its peak. He does say if you can get 2-3 mature follicles your chances of success are greater so it still make sense to do some medication
Describe your experience with your nurse at Gen 5 Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Marissa)
I think the nurses must have been overworked because the email responses I received were very short and the I consistently had to ask for my results (we had a 3 hour time difference which made it more stressful to get communication in time to get to the pharmacy before they closed, etc.)
Describe your experience with Gen 5 Fertility Center.
Strengths - this doctor has the most experience in the US with Ovarian PRP and is an expert in managing DOR Weaknesses - the communication from the scheduling and nursing staff left much to be desired, the finance team was not familiar with working with insurance (we had Aetna), the cost of the treatments here compared to other clinics was high (and part of what you pay for is the view.. via a $1500 facility fee)
Ovarian PRP - Ultra was about 8k, with insurance we paid about 4K for our egg retrieval as some charges could not be billed to insurance (including $1500 for IVF calendar coordination, $1500 for facility fee)
What specific things went wrong at Gen 5 Fertility Center?
Samuel Wood