Genetic counseling: Offered
Tyler
641 South Broadway Ave
Tyler, TX 75701
214-225-2057
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Dallas IVF to a friend?

PCOS, Other
I have really mild PCOS, and we were there mostly for LGBT related reasons. I did Letrozole and follistim every cycle [with Dr. Sara Mucowski] since I responded well to them the first time. We did four IUIs so far, none of them successful yet...every time I had more than 3 follicles she let me know she would recommend selective reduction if more than 2 eggs were fertilized... is very straightforward and somewhat stoic, but still a kind person. She adjusted my treatment every cycle, and responded to my requests very well. She definitely pushed for IVF sooner than I had planned, but I understand that it has a higher chance of success.
The staff [at Dallas IVF] were great, very personable...The Dallas staff were amazing, the Plano staff were okay. Erin in Dallas was my favorite. The Dallas staff were fast, friendly, and really felt like they cared for you. My only complaint with Dallas would be that I was not really informed of patient care before my HSC and HSG exams. The Plano staff were just really slow. They weren't mean or incompetent, they were just really slow. My Plano visits took twice to three times as long as my Dallas ones.
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Sara Mucowski at Dallas IVF?
Dr. Mucowski is very straightforward and somewhat stoic, but still a kind person. She adjusted my treatment every cycle, and responded to my requests very well. She definitely pushed for IVF sooner than I had planned, but I understand that it has a higher chance of success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sara Mucowski at Dallas IVF?
Understand that she helps a lot of couples in very high emotion situations, so she isn't very emotional with you. But she was very helpful and never un-friendly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sara Mucowski at Dallas IVF?
The staff were great, very personable.
Describe the protocols Sara Mucowski used in your cycles at Dallas IVF and their degree of success.
I have really mild PCOS, and we were there mostly for LGBT related reasons. I did Letrozole and follistim every cycle since I responded well to them the first time. We did four IUIs so far, none of them successful yet.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
Definitly LGBT friendly. And not in that awkward way where they are really trying to show you how much of an ally they are. They just treat LGBT people really normally, and all of their paperwork allows for different displays of gender, partner terms, and singer women. Loved that. They are pretty fast to get back to you if you call the nurse line, not the reception line. The receptionist is fast to return emails though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sara Mucowski at Dallas IVF.
I was out of pocket, so the ultrasounds were about $200-$250 and the IUI was $300. Medicines made up a large portions of my cost, but I was able to enroll in a discount program for my injectables, and GoodRX really helped with pills! Highly recommend looking into those. I could have saved a few hundred dollars if I had done that from the start.
Describe Sara Mucowski's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dallas IVF.
We only did IUI, but every time I had more than 3 follicles she let me know she would recommend selective reduction if more than 2 eggs were fertilized.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dallas IVF.
No one warned me ahead of time that the HSC or HSG may be painful, but I head them warn another patient before theirs. I really could have used a heads up, because I experienced a lot of pain after one of them and was worried it meant something had gone wrong.

Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
IVF is a very daunting thing to take on. Dr. Ku’s office [Dallas IVF] does work with you some on this. They will allow you to break up your payment into smaller payments ahead of your cycle if you are not able to pay for it at once. They also have access to an ‘in network’ facility if you have coverage for infertility. ... Strengths -Timely (Stick to scheduled times, willing to work with your schedule, and can schedule an appointment pretty quickly) -Organized -Flexibility (Willing to work with your schedule and what works best for you) -Openness (Keep you in the loop if there are changes in schedules or your cycle. I talked to nurses every other day during our first cycle) Weaknesses -None
Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
Dr. Ku is the absolute best! We received his name through a recommendation and am so glad we came. Before coming we were lost and confused. We had 2 miscarriages and wanted to understand why this was happening. From the first appointment Dr. Ku made it clear he was with us for the long haul to figure out what was happening. Because if him, we not only found new things out about each of us, but finally felt hopeful for our future with growing our family. Dr. Ku is willing to meet with you to talk about anything and everything. I will (and have) recommended Dr. Ku to friends!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
Come in open minded!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
Dr. Ku cares for each of his patients. He is available to talk when you need him. I texted him in a panic while in cycle preparing for egg retrieval and he immediately called me and explained everything. Every time we have gone in, he never rushes us through and makes my husband and I feel so welcome and cared for.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF.
IVF is a very daunting thing to take on. Dr. Ku’s office does work with you some on this. They will allow you to break up your payment into smaller payments ahead of your cycle if you are not able to pay for it at once. They also have access to an ‘in network’ facility if you have coverage for infertility.
Describe Lowell Ku's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dallas IVF.
Dr. Ku has recommended that we do a single embryo transfer as we have high chances of it being successful. I am young, and have been able to get pregnant previously. Our struggle has been the maintaining. While I wanted twins, Dr. Ku shared that he would absolutely follow that if we wanted it, but that the chances don’t increase by much doing that and that my health might be affected.
Frisco

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF.

Endometriosis, Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I love Dr. Ku's personality and how warm and welcoming he is. He makes really scary and nerve-wracking experiences easy to handle because of his encouragement. The only negative that I have ever experienced with him was one thing in my blood work appeared to be overlooked so I called and spoke to him for clarification. He explained how my protocol would change because of the finding and we moved forward. He is a great doctor and I highly recommend him to anyone in the area.
When we start our IVF cycle (after COVID) [at Dallas IVF] I will be on Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide. We will be doing a freeze all cycle with ICSI and PGA testing...I wish we were assigned a specific nurse or two rather than the entire staff. As a patient I feel like I have to go over my entire situation each time I call. I got conflicting information from two different nurses in the same day on different calls. The longer I've been at the clinic, it has gotten better, as there is now a clear understanding of my treatment and where I am at in cycle. When we first started there and were doing recurrent loss testing was when it was confusing.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
He covers a lot of information but if you have other specific concerns come with them written down and make sure to ask.
Dr. Ku does a really great job at making your experience with him a personal one. He takes the time to get to know you and to understand the struggles you have experienced while simultaneously making a game plan tailored to you.
Describe the protocols Lowell Ku used in your cycles at Dallas IVF and their degree of success.
When we start our IVF cycle (after COVID) I will be on Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide. We will be doing a freeze all cycle with ICSI and PGA testing.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
They have a clear system and the wait times have never been bad. They are very efficient which is appreciated when you're driving over before or after work. It is all overwhelming when you first start going, the whole experience is daunting. Dallas IVF- Frisco does everything they can to make you feel comfortable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF.
I remember initial consult to be $300 and SA was $100. We were also quoted $900 for a HSC.
We haven't gotten far enough into our treatment to discuss eSET or multiple.

PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
She [Dr. Sara Mucowski] is very thorough, providing handwritten notes after appointments with every detail. For the IVF process, I appreciated her approach. Others who prefer someone super "warm and fuzzy" may not like her approach. She is empathetic, but direct...There will be a lot of appointments, but Dr Mucowski will be there for all them...My trigger shot was Lupron because I have PCOS and my numbers were high. We did a freeze all cycle, so I did not develop OHSS. I began estrogen shortly after my next period. I was given a choice between progesterone suppositories or progesterone in oil shots. I chose the PIO shots and started those 6 nights prior to my FET.
The entire nursing staff [at Dallas IVF] was wonderful. Very responsive on the portal and returned calls quickly. They also provided detailed instructions. I never felt like I was unsure of what was happening in the process...My insurance covers infertility. However, the Dallas IVF Surgery Center is out of network for all insurances. For all surgical procedures, it was less expensive for me to pay the cash option than go through insurance for out of network costs. For my entire cycle - egg retrieval and frozen embryo transfer, we paid about $10,000 out of pocket.
PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with Sara Mucowski at Dallas IVF?
Dr Mucowski is incredibly intelligent and knows what she is doing. She comes at IVF from a scientific angle. She is very thorough, providing handwritten notes after appointments with every detail. For the IVF process, I appreciated her approach. Others who prefer someone super "warm and fuzzy" may not like her approach. She is empathetic, but direct. Again, I appreciated that for this process after everything we had been through previously.
Dr Mucowski was present for every appointment, other than blood draws. She knew every detail throughout my journey and I appreciated how she handled me.
Prior to egg retrieval, I was did Gonal-F, Menopur and Ganirellix. My trigger shot was Lupron because I have PCOS and my numbers were high. We did a freeze all cycle, so I did not develop OHSS. I began estrogen shortly after my next period. I was given a choice between progesterone suppositories or progesterone in oil shots. I chose the PIO shots and started those 6 nights prior to my FET.
The entire nursing staff was wonderful. Very responsive on the portal and returned calls quickly. They also provided detailed instructions. I never felt like I was unsure of what was happening in the process.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
You can always get appointment times that are convenient to you and you never have a long wait. One thing that can get frustrating is that the doctors work out of multiple offices. So they may have you go to different locations for appointments depending on the day your doctor is in that office. That can be a little inconvenient when you're traveling between Dallas and Plano.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sara Mucowski at Dallas IVF.
Single embryo transfer was strongly recommended. However, she did provide the choice to consider two, but no more.
Frisco

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sara Mucowski at Dallas IVF.

She [Dr. Sara Mucowski] seemed like she was pushing us to go straight to IVF when there really didn’t seem to be a reason to start so aggressively. She didn’t seem confident in IUI and did not really provide a reason why...was not friendly or warm. I felt like she was treating me different for being LGBT...While in her office I felt like I was inconveniencing her. She rarely smiled and responded to my questions in a way that made me feel like I was a complete idiot.
Nothing stood out with me with regards to the nurses [at Dallas IVF]. I know I was left sitting waiting for labs for a bit. I also was instructed to pee in a cup but not shown where the bathroom is or where to find a cup. A different doctor in the practice actually stopped and helped me after seeing I was lost...The front office and billing was insulting and only concerned with getting their money. The doctor was not friendly or warm. I felt like she was treating me different for being LGBT.
How was your experience with Sara Mucowski at Dallas IVF?
She was not a warm person to be around. She was very matter of fact and removed a polyp during a test with only a simple “hey if we find one are you okay with us removing it” and of course signing a consent. The potential additional costs were never relayed until after I walked out. She did not inform me of the potential pain that would come during or after any test. I left each visit excited about the process but lacking in confidence in her.
Go to a different doctor.
She was not very friendly, warm, or welcoming. While in her office I felt like I was inconveniencing her. She rarely smiled and responded to my questions in a way that made me feel like I was a complete idiot.
She seemed like she was pushing us to go straight to IVF when there really didn’t seem to be a reason to start so aggressively. She didn’t seem confident in IUI and did not really provide a reason why.
Nothing stood out with me with regards to the nurses. I know I was left sitting waiting for labs for a bit. I also was instructed to pee in a cup but not shown where the bathroom is or where to find a cup. A different doctor in the practice actually stopped and helped me after seeing I was lost.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
I don’t really know of any strengths since I had such a negative experience. The front office and billing insulted me and accused me of trying to cheat my insurance company. I told them I wanted to pay cash for my tests, since I knew I didn’t have fertility coverage, and they billed my insurance anyway and I was left with double the bill which they refused to fix.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sara Mucowski at Dallas IVF.
I had my testing done there, which my insurance doesn’t cover. $400 for one, and then was supposed to be $600 for another test - they removed a polyp though and charged me double $1800. I don’t think she even used any additional tools to do it. Makes it seem like all the clinic cares about is the money.

2014 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I like how Dr. Ku doesn’t sugar coat anything and makes all the statistics and information easy to understand and realistic. I appreciated the times he would sit down and write down notes that we could take home. I also appreciated the human side of him, this is one of his strengths. I also think he tries really hard to get you to a baby, he doesn’t seem to waste a lot of time to get you there...be prepared to hear a lot of numbers, statistics,& odds. He is really good at giving it to you straight.
[The nurses at Dallas IVF are] Compassionate, genuine,& concerned when things didn’t go as planned or with the expected outcome...Reasonably priced and very comparable to other clinics. Maybe even better priced...Great clinic, great location, staff are easy to communicate with. The clinic staff made me feel welcome. I do appreciate them taking time to clarify anything that I might have a question on. The staff do not hesitate to ask the doctor if they don’t know the answer and they are good at making sure that they are available to you, via phone or email throughout your time with them.
2014 - 2019
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
I like how Dr. Ku doesn’t sugar coat anything and makes all the statistics and information easy to understand and realistic. I appreciated the times he would sit down and write down notes that we could take home. I also appreciated the human side of him, this is one of his strengths. I also think he tries really hard to get you to a baby, he doesn’t seem to waste a lot of time to get you there...which is also another strength.
Go into your first consultation with him with your wish list, but be prepared to hear a lot of numbers, statistics,& odds. He is really good at giving it to you straight.
He has a warm bedside manner and tries to understand his patients on a personal level. He explains things well and at your level.
Our first cycle was met with OHSS. Dr.Ku prevented me from getting worse and gave my body time to recover from it before moving onto a transfer. Our first transfer ended in miscarriage. He gave us time to mentally recoup and physically recover from that. When the 2nd transfer time came around, he changed my protocol to one that is for patient with multiple losses. I appreciated his quick adjustment to what was happening (based upon my history and my own personal needs and desires)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF.
Dr.Ku has always been an advocate for single embryo transfers. He is always one to tell you about all the benefits of single embryo transfers and will inform you of the risks otherwise. But most of all he is there for his patients and their personal needs unique to them.
Frisco

I love how honest and upfront he [Dr. Barnett] is. He is very confident in his abilities and it made me feel at ease. He had not problem adjusting the course of action when my body wasn’t responding the way we anticipated. ... Because I have H.A I needed a lot more medication to stimulus my follicles. ... we decided IVF but with 4x the amount of injectables bc of how my body responds.
I liked that a surgery center was right next door with their own staff for retrievals and transfers. ... Allie and Shelly [Dallas IVF nurses] are amazing. They showed such compassion and every time I was in there we laughed together. ... Stacey the sonographer is probably the golden egg of that whole place. Everyone loves her and I couldn’t imagine having anyone else. Having a sono 5x a week is difficult, and she explains every image and takes her time telling you what she’s looking for or what’s ideal.
How was your experience with Brian Barnett at Dallas IVF?
I love how honest and upfront he is. He is very confident in his abilities and it made me feel at ease. He had not problem adjusting the course of action when my body wasn’t responding the way we anticipated. He explains everything, writes it’s our and even draws pictures then sends you home with what was written out to refer to later. My personality type meshed well with his, I want the facts and I want to know he’s got it handled. He never came across cold, he has 3 daughters himself. He’s compassionate but in a very secure matter-of-face way that I appreciated.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brian Barnett at Dallas IVF?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. He can talk fast but will always stop to ask if you understand. Don’t hesitate to say no. He will find another way to explain it. This is YOUR treatment plan, you need to understand what your body will be going through. There’s no shame in that. I came with questions written out in case I forgot and I found it very helpful.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Barnett at Dallas IVF?
Dr. Barnett answered every question I had but also got to know my husband and me. He asked how my husband’s job was every time we saw him and discussed his own family. We interacted more with the nursing staff but they too were beyond friendly and accommodating.
Describe the protocols Brian Barnett used in your cycles at Dallas IVF and their degree of success.
Because I have H.A I needed a lot more medication to stimulus my follicles. Cycle 1 we did a week of clomid and he stopped that because there weren't any results, we went straight to injectables. At home intercourse...no pregnancy. Went for round 2 with IUI but had to cancel due to a family emergency and I needed to fly to California. He wouldn’t continue because the risk of OHS was too high. I came back and we decided IVF but with 4x the amount of injectables bc of how my body responds. I was in every other day getting checked with sono’s and bloodwork. Dr. Barnett did the egg retrieval, 9 mature and in the end sent 3 to PGS-T testing. Will do the FET sometime in November.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas IVF. (Assigned nurse: Shelly and Allie )
Allie and Shelly are amazing. They showed such compassion and every time I was in there we laughed together. You have to while going through this. They ask about my husband and my dog every time. Stacey the sonographer is probably the golden egg of that whole place. Everyone loves her and I couldn’t imagine having anyone else. Having a sono 5x a week is difficult, and she explains every image and takes her time telling you what she’s looking for or what’s ideal.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
The place is very clean. The staff was great. I have no complaints. I liked that a surgery center was right next door with their own staff for retrievals and transfers. The couches are very comfortable too!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Barnett at Dallas IVF.
Insurance covered the majority of it.
Describe Brian Barnett's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dallas IVF.
He said “we do single embryo transfer here.” And that was the end of it. I’m not the right candidate for multiple embryo transfers nor do I want that so I didn’t ask for him to elaborate. I know he has stressed the health risks of multiples to us before while I was on the high dose of Menopur.
Frisco

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Brian Barnett at Dallas IVF.

I had rough appointments with having PCOS and my body not cooperating like it should, but he [Dr. Brian Barnett] has always been compassionate and invested in my husband and I...He is pretty blunt. Know that going in, there is no "beating around the bush". His compassion grows as he knows and is around you...had me do lab work in my first visit so any alterations needed in my health could be made promptly. When I began a new cycle, we scheduled my HSG test, which came back clear, and he put me on a birth control pill just for that cycle in order to keep it short (since I have a history of very long cycles).
I have not been to the Frisco or Dallas office [of Dallas IVF], but Dr.Barnett and a small team of nurses are in Tyler one day a week, on Tuesdays. The only weakness I have found is I wish they were in Tyler more than one day a week. However, they do work well with other offices and allow some ultrasounds and labs outside of the office...When we began this medicated cycle, I was given a calendar filled out with easy to follow directions as to what to do or take on what day. When I had any questions about medication or lab results his nurses were very prompt to get back with me and made me feel like I was their only patient. Amazing group of nurses.
How was your experience with Brian Barnett at Dallas IVF?
I have been seeing Dr. Barnett for 5 months, he made a plan for us in the beginning with what tests are necessary and when to do them. At each visit he has sat down to explain exactly what to do next after each visit assessment. I never felt over whelmed with medication, or timing of things to be done throughout the cycle. I had rough appointments with having PCOS and my body not cooperating like it should, but he has always been compassionate and invested in my husband and I.
I feel like Dr.Barnett is invested in my husband and I. We are young, very young to be having these obstacles (early twenties), and he is and has worked hard to help us achieve our goal and understand what might be the best thing for us to do.
I was diagnosed in September of 2018 with PCOS. In the following May, my OB referred me to Dr.Barnett after not responding well to my fourth failed round of chlomid. Dr. Barnett had me do lab work in my first visit so any alterations needed in my health could be made promptly. When I began a new cycle, we scheduled my HSG test, which came back clear, and he put me on a birth control pill just for that cycle in order to keep it short (since I have a history of very long cycles). When I started my next cycle, I began letrozole, my body responded very well in that i had three mature follicles. On cycle day 11 we were told to "baby dance", on cycle day 12, in the office, I was given the ovidrel trigger shot. We were directed to "baby dance" on cycle day 13 and 14. On day 15 I began progesterone suppositories until my negative hcg test. This was my first treated cycle under the care of Dr. Barnett so far. Even though I just found out yesterday we are not pregnant, I feel like this was our first real shot and we are ready to go again.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
I have not been to the Frisco or Dallas office, but Dr.Barnett and a small team of nurses are in Tyler one day a week, on Tuesdays. The only weakness I have found is I wish they were in Tyler more than one day a week. However, they do work well with other offices and allow some ultrasounds and labs outside of the office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Barnett at Dallas IVF.
My ultrasounds or consultations (with insurance) were approximately $50 each, HSG was partially covered by my insurance, out of pocket was $50, ovidrel, letrozole and progesterone was aproximatelt 200 for one cycle.
Frisco

Dr. Ku is incredible. I'm not sure if I've ever come across a doctor who cares about his patients more - he has a huge heart, and takes time to explain EVERYTHING. You walk out of his office each and every time feeling totally comfortable and taken care of. He is ethical, moral and SMART. I'm a 'high-risk' case and he has made me feel 'at ease' every week!...Dr. Ku saw me every week due to a high-risk pregnancy (scar tissue in the uterus).
[Dallas IVF] Very clean, convenient no wait-times. Feels modern and up-to-date. Everything runs smoothly (check-in and check-out) are seamless. Billing is straight-forward. Just what you would want in a clinic. Appointments are available when needed. The doctor is accessible at all times....[nursing staff] Always incredibly friendly, warm and up-to-date on my specific case. No wait times - attentive and communicative ALWAYS.
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
I honestly couldn't recommend anyone more. Please feel free to ask him any and all questions - he will give you a thorough response to each and every one.
Dr. Ku saw me every week due to a high-risk pregnancy (scar tissue in the uterus). He did weekly ultrasounds to monitor the baby in relation to the scar-tissue. It's very rare but he greeted me with warmth and positivity and most importantly, information, each and every visit.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
Very clean, convenient no wait-times. Feels modern and up-to-date. Everything runs smoothly (check-in and check-out) are seamless. Billing is straight-forward. Just what you would want in a clinic. Appointments are available when needed. The doctor is accessible at all times. They are knowledgeable and well respected within the DFW community.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF.
Very, very reasonable with my insurance. I had weekly ultrasounds and paid less than $100 per visit.
This wasn't relevant to my case.

2016 - 2019
Dr. Ku clearly reads over your chart and remembers the past visits you’ve had with him each time you come to his office. He understands the urgency of wanting to be pregnant while also reassuring you that he’s going to do everything he can to get you there even if it takes a little bit of time...With knowing our insurance doesn’t cover the costs of infertility he is open to doing clomid with H.I while waiting for our savings to catch up for IUI or IVF.
The clinic [Dallas IVF] is very welcoming, clean and bright. Not gloomy or cold and scary. When you come in there is a snack area with snacks and food with a mini refrigerator with water for patients during their normally short wait time. The nursing staff asks you to sign in and immediately let’s your doctor know you are there...[The nurses are] Very quiet but also interacted well with patience when needed. Very kind and organized.
2016 - 2019
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
My experience as a patient with Dr. Ku is that I feel he takes what we are going through very seriously and is willing to help us in any way he can. With knowing our insurance doesn’t cover the costs of infertility he is open to doing clomid with H.I while waiting for our savings to catch up for IUI or IVF.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. He is more than willing to answer them. If you want to try something that’s not a traditional treatment, if he can help with that he will.
From day one I was given a vaginal ultrasound, bloodwork, and we went over the results that same day. Dr. Ku saw no reason to rush things along and recommended we start with opk’s and H.I. A year later we came back and had more bloodwork done and another vaginal ultrasound. We also decided to have my husbands sperm tested and were unfortunately told he had low counts. We were then referred to a male fertility specialist to handle his low counts. He prescribed HCG to help boost his sperm count and production rate. After about 6 months we check his sperm count again and were relieved to find out his counts were now above normal. After finding that out we were advised to try H.I and see if that worked. About 6 months of not getting pregnant even after boosting his counts we decided it was time to go and talk about IUI. Knowing IUI is expensive, we wanted to see when we could get it scheduled. Which turns out isn’t a hassle or a wait time like we had anticipated. So when we went in to talk to Dr. Ku he was ready for it. Very supporting and understanding. When we told him we needed to wait just a couple more months to save the money he then prescribed clomid with H.I and said maybe this can work and if not it’s not expensive and we are still prepared for IUI. Now we wait to start the first round of clomid.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
The clinic is very welcoming, clean and bright. Not gloomy or cold and scary. When you come in there is a snack area with snacks and food with a mini refrigerator with water for patients during their normally short wait time. The nursing staff asks you to sign in and immediately let’s your doctor know you are there.
Frisco

[Dr. Ku is] warm and friendly and makes you feel human and seen and heard. He went through IVF a with his wife so he truly understands the emotional toll it takes on you each cycle. He showed empathy and compassion through our loss and seems to really want to see us get a healthy baby...We did a FET with one embryo. He had me on PIO, lovenox, baby aspirin, and estrace...He was very willing to transfer two embryos but given my history with difficult pregnancies, we chose one.
I never had to leave a message for the nurse [at Dallas IVF], always went straight through to her which was awesome! She was always kind and organized and thorough...There was some differing information given between the nursing staff and the surgery center next door where the transfer takes place. The front office staff at the surgery center isn’t the kindest or warmest...The transfer was $3400 which is quite high compared to other doctors and insurance won’t cover it.
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
He’s warm and friendly and makes you feel human and seen and heard. He went through IVF a with his wife so he truly understands the emotional toll it takes on you each cycle. He showed empathy and compassion through our loss and seems to really want to see us get a healthy baby.
There’s typically a wait as the office is very busy
He would always greet me by name as he saw me in the hallway & seemed to genuinely care what we were going through.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas IVF. (Assigned nurse: Alexa)
I never had to leave a message for the nurse, always went straight through to her which was awesome! She was always kind and organized and thorough.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
The office is busy so there was always a wait which can be frustrating when you’re told to hold your bladder. But they always made up for the wait and once even gave us a Starbucks gift card. The ladies at the front were always nice and quick to get us checked out. Scheduling can be difficult because of how busy they are.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF.
The transfer was $3400 which is quite high compared to other doctors and insurance won’t cover it. Office visits for us were $10 copays. Storage for embryos at their clinic was $800 a year which also seems high.

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
After egg retrieval [with Dr. Ku] I rested my body for one month. Then I began estrogen and progesterone for the month leading to the frozen embryo transfer...I asked for 2 embryos and my doctor said it would be unethical knowing I would likely get pregnant with one. He said if I had a healthy first pregnancy that he would consider putting in two for my second transfer...once I was pregnant I was dealing with the nurses and rarely connected with him. If I needed something specific he was responsive!
[Dallas IVF has] Nice waiting room and patient rooms. Staff is kind and organized. Sometimes they are vague and unable to explain costs or protocols. When I was stress and concerned I felt passed of instead of being given direct answers and given time with the doctor [Dr. Ku]. Loved the ultrasound techs and their attention to detail...once I was pregnant I was dealing with the nurses and rarely connected with him. If I needed something specific he was responsive!
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
Dr. Ku has great bedside manner. He is compassionate and understanding of both soon to be parents. He was ethical and honest. I felt like I was in good hands and trusted his expertise. Once I became pregnant I felt a bit shuffled off and wished I had more time with him.
Ask to communicate with him directly if you really have a concern.
At times I felt like a number; once I was pregnant I was dealing with the nurses and rarely connected with him. If I needed something specific he was responsive!
I was given folistem, menipure, and ganarelix prior to the egg retrieval to stimulate egg production. After egg retrieval I rested my body for one month. Then I began estrogen and progesterone for the month leading to the frozen embryo transfer. I continued the progesterone through the first trimester of my pregnancy.
Sweet and compassionate but at times they would not understand all the details and just pass me off.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
Nice waiting room and patient rooms. Staff is kind and organized. Sometimes they are vague and unable to explain costs or protocols. When I was stress and concerned I felt passed of instead of being given direct answers and given time with the doctor. Loved the ultrasound techs and their attention to detail.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF.
21,000 all in. Including medications, egg retrieval, and frozen embryo transfer.

3 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
This clinic [Dallas IVF- Frisco] is top-notch! From the moment of me calling to make an appointment to me leaving at my egg retrieval, everything was great! It is very clean and cute! The Decour is really trendy. They are like a well oiled machine. You are in an out and will not wait for more than 15 minutes for your appointment. I would suggest letting them know that you will be self-pay though. If you do not tell them you are paying out-of-pocket they will send it to your insurance which adds thousands of dollars!
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
Dr. Ku is amazing and very caring! He diagnosed me with polyps on my first appointment which delayed my IVF process but had me in surgery within a week to keep me on track. He is very thorough along with his staff. The sonographer Stacy is amazing and is key in your treatments! Between the two of them, it’s a stellar team! They both knew my name within just a few appointments! Dr. Ku gives you his cell number to text with questions which I did a few times. I messed up on my injections one night and text him to confirm what I had done would be ok. All he had to do was text back, but he called me to make sure I was ok...then proceeded to give me restaurant suggestions while I was in town. If you need someone with a caring bedside manner, this is him!! A frustration I had tho, was that I only saw him once during my 2 week work up to the retrieval. I felt like I was being cared for by nurses and the sonographer. I had to take comfort in the fact that they took my progress to him and he was making all of the decisions. Everything worked out perfectly tho! I have 2 embryos now and we’ve never gotten that far. Another frustrating aspect was that I had to jump through hoops to get my records to him and I don’t think he ever read them which made me nervous. He asked questions all of the time that I thought were odd bc he should have known them from my chart. Overall, God led me to Ku and I am forever thankful for that.
DOn’t hesitate to ask questions. He is very nice but sometimes tended to seem busy and in a hurry. He always spent the time with me I needed but I could tell he was trying to move on to the next patient. I’m sure it’s bc I was asking unnecessary questions and he didn’t want me to worry. He always kept me feeling positive and never wanted me to worry.
Due to my previous 2 stims rounds not producing great size follicles, he had me do a very different protocol. He had me on 350 follistem, 3:1 Menopur, and microdose Lupron with a handful of vitamins. My previous dr had me on follistem, omnitrope, testosterone, microdose Lupron, and 35 extra vitamins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas IVF. (Assigned nurse: Alexa)
The entire nursing staff was amazing! They would all look up and smile; some wood even come to hug me. The phlebotomist wasn’t great at getting blood out though. She was so sweet but always hurt and bruised me. My nurse was so sweet and caring. She would call almost every afternoon to check on me! The entire nursing team seems very knowledgeable including the front desk staff.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
This clinic is top-notch! From the moment of me calling to make an appointment to me leaving at my egg retrieval, everything was great! It is very clean and cute! The Decour is really trendy. They are like a well oiled machine. You are in an out and will not wait for more than 15 minutes for your appointment. I would suggest letting them know that you will be self-pay though. If you do not tell them you are paying out-of-pocket they will send it to your insurance which adds thousands of dollars!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF.
IVF with genetic testing is $11,200. However my meds were $7,000 and there is probably an additional $5,000 in appointment fees. I took a loan for $30,000 to be covered. Plus I paid $1500 in a 2-week stay at a hotel nearby.
He likes to do single embryo transfers, but he said he bends the rules for each patient. Since I’ve had a transfer where 2 didn’t stick he would consider putting 2 in again.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dallas IVF.
Nothing wrong really happened while I was undergoing treatment but I kept waiting for someone to let me know about my husband semen analysis. I called four times and emailed a handful of times and no one could tell me if they received his results. It was almost a month or more before I finally got an answer. Everyone I spoke to couldn’t understand why I wasn’t getting my answer but it all worked out.
Frisco

Front desk [ at Dallas IVF- Frisco] seems cold and rude. They don't communicate when they are running behind schedule which is very frustrating. Don't seem to be very mindful of what you are going through and some days are harder than others. They don't seem to have the compassion they should to be the face of the clinic.... I was called by a nurse and told me and my husband had Hepetitis B but there was human error when the nurse entered in the information. We decided we were going to cancel our cycle and then two hours later they called and said oh so sorry human error, you are still good to proceed with the cycle. I had worked on relaxing and staying calm before my transfer but that was all lost when I receive that phone call. Not a good experience.
How was your experience with Brian Barnett at Dallas IVF?
He has great results and he is very knowledgable. I think sometimes they forget that we are going through this with very high emotions and lots of drugs in our system and sometimes we don't react in the way that seems rational but we are putting everything we have into this and just want a successful outcome. I don't want to feel rushed or that I am asking stupid questions and sometimes I feel that with Dr. Barnett that is his feeling. He is very knowledgable and we trusted him to be our doctor for this journey due to things we have heard and I am glad we did but sometimes I wonder if we chose the right place. We are in about $41,000 so far and no baby. Hoping for a different outcome this time around.
Be prepared to wait in the waiting room
I feel like there isn't a cap to how many patients there are and it is more about the money then realizing we are putting our whole lives into this.
I was given wrong results that was very harmful at the time. That nurse was let go but still very traumatizing at the time. I feel very rushed by them and they expect I know what is going on but I would like more direction from them.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
Front desk seems cold and rude. They don't communicate when they are running behind schedule which is very frustrating. Don't seem to be very mindful of what you are going through and some days are harder than others. They don't seem to have the compassion they should to be the face of the clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Barnett at Dallas IVF.
Even though the clinic advised us against it we went with Attain and we are doing round 2. Currently have spent $37,000

16 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Ku comes out to greet his patients in the waiting room and invite them back. He listened to all of my concerns before he started to really talk. He gave me his phone number and told me to call if there was anything I needed to know!...is a friendly, gentle person who cares. I came to him after I left another practice mid-treatment after several bad experiences. He did everything he could to make this work for me in the small time allotment I had and always made the time to check in on me. Even when I just came in for blood work, he made sure to come and see me and ask how things were.
We were going [to Dallas IVF] for egg freezing, so we used Gonal, Menapur, Cetrotie, and then Lupro...After my retrieval she [the nurse] made sure to sit with me for a while just to chat and see how I was doing. I left another practice because of the staff, and when I got to this practice, I saw what I was missing...This place can get busy! I love how everything is in house, even the surgical center. It is clean, well lit, and organized. Just know that at times it can be bursting with patients. Sometimes I had to wait about 20 minutes past my appointment time, but almost always they run on time.
16 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
Dr. Ku is a friendly, gentle person who cares. I came to him after I left another practice mid-treatment after several bad experiences. He did everything he could to make this work for me in the small time allotment I had and always made the time to check in on me. Even when I just came in for blood work, he made sure to come and see me and ask how things were.
Don't expect a stereotypical doctor who bosses you around. If you respond well to bossy, authoritative people who tell you what to do, Dr. Ku is not for you. He makes you part of the process.
We were going for egg freezing, so we used Gonal, Menapur, Cetrotie, and then Lupro. He adjusted the meds as we went along and wasn't afraid to lower doses. Bloodwork and sonograms about every other day
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas IVF. (Assigned nurse: Mary and Shelly)
The team here was fantastic. The nurses, Mary and Shelly, were so patient with me, answered all my questions and then some. Just as good was the sonographer. Staci does all the sonograms, not the doctors. It is the first time that I didn't feel like someone was skewering me. She was gentle and exactly right on her egg counts. This makes a huge difference since I was getting sonograms about every other day. Even the financial coordinator was great, Tonya. She has energy and a smile. After my retrieval she made sure to sit with me for a while just to chat and see how I was doing. I left another practice because of the staff, and when I got to this practice, I saw what I was missing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF.
His costs for the retrieval, plus surgical center, plus anesthesia came out to about 7000. Then bloodwork/sono appointments (without any insurance) were 295 each. Multiply that by about 6 of those types, add it to the top number, it is about 8770. There were some other charges and meds were about 5000
Frisco

Be prepared to be given a lot of information very quickly [by Dr. Ku]...He was nice but always spoke quickly and always seemed rushed. My husband and I did not feel he was very personable...My protocol began with calling the office the first day of my period. On cycle day 5 I began taking 50 mg Clomidiphene Citrate orally each day until cycle day 9. During these few days, I experienced headaches and some nausea. On cycle day 11, I had an internal sonogram and blood work drawn to see how I responded to the Clomidiphene. I was responding but not ready to move to the next step. I was prescribed Estradiol which I took 2mg for two days. On cycle day 13 I had another sonogram and more blood work. Everything looked good and ready to move forward. I was injected with 250mcg of Ovidrel in the abdomen. I experienced nausea, bloating and headaches the remainder of the day after the injection. On cycle day 14, my husband and I went into the office and where Dr. Ku performed our first IUI.
The nursing staff at Dr. Ku's [Dallas IVF] office were great. They were always friendly and informative. They responded to my emails and calls in a timely manner...There was one incidence where I was not contacted about the results of a blood test. The results showed up on my patient portal but I was not contacted about what the results meant. I called the office and had to wait until the following day to get a call back. Usually the office called right away and explained test results to me.
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
He was nice but always spoke quickly and always seemed rushed. My husband and I did not feel he was very personable. It is important to me to feel like my provider is genuinely interested in my issues and concerns and not to feel like just another patient being pushed through the business.
Be prepared to be given a lot of information very quickly.
When meeting with Dr. Ku everything seemed rushed.
The nursing staff at Dr. Ku's office were great. They were always friendly and informative. They responded to my emails and calls in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
The clinic had a great staff. All of the equipment seemed up-to-date and efficient. One weakness we found was that even with our scheduled appointment, which we always arrived on time to, we would sometimes have to wait an hour to be called back into the clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF.
Consultation: $200 Initial Sonogram: $200 Hysteroscopy: $500 Blood Work: $188 Semen Analysis: $100 Genetic Screening: $250 AMH Test Labs Fee: $75 Clomid Prescription: $20.69 Ovidrel Injection: $159.99 Sonogram & Estrogen test Weekend Fees: $325 Estradiol Prescription: $18.39 Sonogram & Estrogen Test: $295 Sperm Preparation: $300 IUI Procedure: $250 Progestrone Test: $112 hCG Beta: $112 Sonogram: $225 Estrogen Test: $95 Medication Instruction from Nurse: $40 Travel Costs: $259.49

3 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Mehta has a very warm bedside manner and was familiar with my case during our appointments. She also did all the sonograms so she seemed engaged. ... Overall, she was fine. However, after our third retrieval, she told us that she had no more options/suggestions for our treatments and suggested that we move on to donor eggs. It seemed like she was giving up on our case. ... She recommended transferring 1 embryo at a time.
Overall, the clinic [Dallas IVF] is fine and the staff are nice. Weaknesses: The staff are sometimes disorganized. The surgery center had the wrong retrieval info one time. It took a few visits to get my patient records because they kept forgetting to include all the info. The billing coordinator (Mary) takes a long time to respond to queries/refunds. ... Strengths: Compassion. Same day responses to voicemails. Weaknesses: Very rushed because they had a lot of patients scheduled.
3 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Rinku Mehta at Dallas IVF?
Overall, she was fine. However, after our third retrieval, she told us that she had no more options/suggestions for our treatments and suggested that we move on to donor eggs. It seemed like she was giving up on our case. She was also moving to another clinic, so maybe she was cleaning house.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rinku Mehta at Dallas IVF?
As with all doctors, advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rinku Mehta at Dallas IVF?
Describe the protocols Rinku Mehta used in your cycles at Dallas IVF and their degree of success.
IUI #1: Clomid 50 mg/day for 5 days; Estrace 2 mg suppositories; Ovidrel trigger. There were 2 mature follicles, 2 immature. Clomid caused thin lining. Negative pregnancy test. IUI #2: Femara 2.5 mg/day for 5 days; Ovidrel trigger. There was 1 follicle. Did Progesterone suppositories. Negative pregnancy test. IUI #3: Femara 5 mg/day for 5 days; Ovidrel trigger. There were 3 follicles. Did Progesterone suppositories. Negative pregnancy test. Retrieval #1: We did Lupron, Follistim, & Menopur, with a Novarel trigger. Results: 12 eggs, 2 D6 blasts, and 1 PGS inconclusive embryo. Retrieval #2: We did Lupron, Follistim, Menopur, & Omnitrope, with a Novarel trigger. Results: 8 eggs, 2 D6 blasts, and 1 PGS normal female. Retrieval #3: We did Follistim, Menopur, Omnitrope, Ovasitol, & Ganirelix, with a Novarel trigger. Results: 18 eggs, 1 D6 blast, and 0 PGS normal embryos.
Strengths: Compassion. Same day responses to voicemails. Weaknesses: Very rushed because they had a lot of patients scheduled. Multiple attempts were often needed to draw blood. A couple times, prescriptions were not sent to the pharmacy.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
Overall, the clinic is fine and the staff are nice. Weaknesses: The staff are sometimes disorganized. The surgery center had the wrong retrieval info one time. It took a few visits to get my patient records because they kept forgetting to include all the info. The billing coordinator (Mary) takes a long time to respond to queries/refunds.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rinku Mehta at Dallas IVF.
We didn't have insurance coverage for infertility. Total cost for 3 medicated IUIs was about $3,000. Each IVF retrieval was about $16,000.
Describe Rinku Mehta's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dallas IVF.
She recommended transferring 1 embryo at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dallas IVF.
The nurses forgot to submit my prescriptions to the pharmacy a few times. The surgery center had the wrong time for my retrieval. It took multiple visits to get my patient records because the staff kept forgetting to include paperwork/lab results. For my last retrieval, they forgot to call me with the PGS results.
Rinku Mehta
Frisco

Strengths: Dr. Ku is very knowledgeable and positive. He will always be your cheerleader, even on your darkest day. He provides his cell phone number for after hours contact and is very responsive to texts. He goes through every step of the process (including his little "drawings")....Weaknesses: His methods seem aggressive at times. If one method failed, it seemed like he jumped to a more extreme method rather quickly. Sometimes his "sad" voice was a little too much which made the bad news harder.
Strengths: They [Dallas IVF] definitely have the routine down. I rarely waited too long beyond my scheduled time. Weaknesses: Some of their services cost more than other places. It's hard to get billing information. They aren't withholding but it was hard to just get a print out of all expenses paid to date, organized by procedure so we could see how much we were spending per "round" of treatment. Might be a software thing.... IUIs were about $1,500 each.
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
Strengths: Dr. Ku is very knowledgeable and positive. He will always be your cheerleader, even on your darkest day. He provides his cell phone number for after hours contact and is very responsive to texts. He goes through every step of the process (including his little "drawings"). He and his wife went through fertility treatments as well (and were eventually successful) so he really does understand the struggle. Weaknesses: His methods seem aggressive at times. If one method failed, it seemed like he jumped to a more extreme method rather quickly. Sometimes his "sad" voice was a little too much which made the bad news harder.
Clearly line out what you are expecting and ask any questions. He is very open to adjusting treatment if you have a preference.
Most of the time, the staff and Dr. Ku were very friendly. I never felt rushed and everyone always seemed readily available to answer any questions I may have had.
3 IUIs - Follistem and some other medication. Trigger shot. First round, I was very responsive to all of the meds. Almost too responsive but we were able to proceed. Second and third time I wasn't as responsive but we still proceeded. I don't recall what adjustments, if any, were made. 1 IVF - Follistem, Menipor, some other stuff. Retrieved 20 eggs, 13 fertilized, 6? 8? made it to day 3. All arrested on day 3 resulting in 0 embryos for transfer. 4 preps for FET but only made it to FET twice. 2 Frozen Transfers using adopted embryos (more cost effective. We didn't want pay for another round given that they were unable to tell us where the issue was with our own embryos) - Lupron, birth control (had some cysts). My process took two months instead of the one month process because he wanted to do a full month of "shutting my ovaries down" because I appeared to still ovulate using regular protocol. That one time may have been a fluke because the last two times, I asked to do the one month and had no issues.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas IVF. (Assigned nurse: Mary Boggs)
I loved speaking with Mary and the sonographer. They both gave off a genuine vibe. Many of the other staff are nice enough but their bed side manner is a little lacking. Conversations/interactions with them felt robotic.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
Strengths: They definitely have the routine down. I rarely waited too long beyond my scheduled time. Weaknesses: Some of their services cost more than other places. It's hard to get billing information. They aren't withholding but it was hard to just get a print out of all expenses paid to date, organized by procedure so we could see how much we were spending per "round" of treatment. Might be a software thing. Tip: Make sure you know EVERY potential cost before agreeing to a procedure.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF.
IUIs were about $1,500 each. Can't recall if that included the meds. IVF grand total was around $20,000. That included $5,000 in meds, about $2,000 for genetic testing, and about $1,000? $2,000? for ICSI. Embryo adoption is about $4,000. FET is about $3 or 4,000.
Depended on quality of embryos but the fewer the better when possible.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dallas IVF.
I had two FET rounds cancelled due to embryos not surviving the thaw. So that means 50% of my FETs were cancelled. No one told me the survival rates. Based off conversations with other women, this rate varies from clinic to clinic.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Other
I always felt like a human when being treated by Dr. Ku...His strengths are that he cares about you and the outcomes of your treatment. He wants you to get pregnant and have a baby almost as much as you do! I did not find him to have any weaknesses. He is the perfect doctor for me and anyone who wants to be heard and active in their treatment plans...I used clomid at first, that was my choice due to finances. Dr. Ku expressed his disbelief that this would be effective based on our test results but, it's all I could at the time. When that didn't work for about 8 months, we were ready to try IUI. Dr. Ku again stated that due to my quickly rising FSH and extremely low AMH levels, this was not likely to work.
They [Dallas IVF] are great from the waiting room through billing. I only ever had one issue with billing and Dr. Ku handled it very well. They had sent my labs to the wrong lab for my insurance and the claims were denied. Because it was their error after I had given them the correct lab name, they ate the costs...I only really talked to them [nurses] on the phone and they were always pleasant...Dispite Dr. Ku staying that IUI was not likely to work with only one follicle, we proceeded at my request. Another negative test. We took a break and went to oral meds again but took the other one, not clomid. I stayed on that for a few months without a pregnancy until O stopped. We need donor eggs and we can tr afford that right now. Nursing Staff
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
Bring your notes, no one knows your body like you do. The more information you bring, the better he will be able to start the right treatment first.
I always felt like a human when being treated by Dr. Ku. He is an amazing doctor who has gone through treatment himself with his wife. He understands how hard this is and convays that in his behavior.
I used clomid at first, that was my choice due to finances. Dr. Ku expressed his disbelief that this would be effective based on our test results but, it's all I could at the time. When that didn't work for about 8 months, we were ready to try IUI. Dr. Ku again stated that due to my quickly rising FSH and extremely low AMH levels, this was not likely to work. It was all I could financially so we proceeded with the strongest protocol I could afford. I used Follistim and got 1 mature follicle. We switch to an at home cycle since we were not likely to benefit from IUI that cycle and got a negative pregnancy test. We tried again the next month with Follistim and upped the doses, again one mature follicle. Dispite Dr. Ku staying that IUI was not likely to work with only one follicle, we proceeded at my request. Another negative test. We took a break and went to oral meds again but took the other one, not clomid. I stayed on that for a few months without a pregnancy until O stopped. We need donor eggs and we can tr afford that right now.
I only really talked to them on the phone and they were always pleasant.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
They are great from the waiting room through billing. I only ever had one issue with billing and Dr. Ku handled it very well. They had sent my labs to the wrong lab for my insurance and the claims were denied. Because it was their error after I had given them the correct lab name, they ate the costs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF.
I had copays for ultrasounds and office visits, my deductible applied to my lab work and I paid out of pocket for injections and procedures.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dallas IVF.
I only had the one lab issue and it was handled very well.

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
IVF protocol. Birth control start on cycle day 2 Follistem and menupur Resulted in 28 eggs retrieved [with Dr. Lowell Ku]...is so caring and has the best bed side manor. He greets you in the waiting room and takes you back himself with the initial consult. He makes it very easy to keep in contact with him, he provides his cell number. He showed compassion and took his time with us...He went out of his way to help us apply for fertility grants. He made us feel like a human and not a number. His action showed he truly cared for us and our journey. Communication is a must when going through IVF and he kept us up to date every step of the way. He called us himself most of the time.
The wait times [at Dallas IVF] were sometimes long but you always received quality care when it was your turn and was not rushed. The sonographer Stacy is very good at what she does. She did all the ultra sounds and I felt good with her doing it and trusted her professionalism...IVF protocol. Birth control start on cycle day 2 Follistem and menupur Resulted in 28 eggs retrieved...The nurse was very good at communicating. She called back in a timely matter and answered any questions. I did not have a lot of 1 on 1 communication with her but was pleased.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
We have been to three other fertility clinics before being led to Dr.Ku. He went out of his way to help us apply for fertility grants. He made us feel like a human and not a number. His action showed he truly cared for us and our journey. Communication is a must when going through IVF and he kept us up to date every step of the way. He called us himself most of the time.
I honestly believe he his one of the best doctors around.
Dr.Ku is so caring and has the best bed side manor. He greets you in the waiting room and takes you back himself with the initial consult. He makes it very easy to keep in contact with him, he provides his cell number. He showed compassion and took his time with us.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
All the staff were friendly and professional. Clinic is very nice and clean. The wait times were sometimes long but you always received quality care when it was your turn and was not rushed. The sonographer Stacy is very good at what she does. She did all the ultra sounds and I felt good with her doing it and trusted her professionalism. They worked with my insurance ( I have no coverage for treatment ) and coded visits to were I only had to pay my co-pay.
IVF and Freeze cycle- $9,200 Frozen transfer $3,200
we have not done transfer at this point
Frisco

Dr. Ku is very knowledgeable and empathetic. He takes time to explain all of the options and possibilities. The one issue I had was when we were going to transfer our embryos we did not agree on the number to transfer. Dr Ku only wanted to transfer 1 and I was insistent on 2. It was VERY difficult to get the 2 transferred, however in the end we did transfer 2...I felt that the doctor and the stonographer really cared about me and went through the ups and downs with me.
The lab [at Dallas IVF] overwashed the sperm on one IUI, and there were no sperm left. The doctor ended up waiving half of the procedure cost, however I would have rather had a fighting chance. There was an instance where medications were not prescribed and they were required...The doctors are great, the staff is not. If you don’t mind being a self advocate and staying on top of the staff then the clinic is for you. The doctors know what they are doing and have good success rates, however they do seem busy and overworked.
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
Other than the stonographer, who is AMAZING, I would not recommend the staff at all. They are not organized and have really horrible communication. You truly have to be your own advocate. I would meet with dr and have a plan then the nurse would come in and have all the wrong information. Multiple times I had to correct them and they had to go back to the dr to confirm. Not to mention there was miscommunication on some medication that HAD to be ordered that was never mentioned and the stress of getting it while in the middle of an IVF cycle.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dallas IVF.
The lab overwashed the sperm on one IUI, and there were no sperm left. The doctor ended up waiving half of the procedure cost, however I would have rather had a fighting chance. There was an instance where medications were not prescribed and they were required.
Frisco

Dr. Barnett helped me understand our history, our needs, and our potential for a successful pregnancy without having to take the most aggressive approach. I felt so informed, and hopeful about our future thanks to Dr. Barnett’s time spent with us...Dr. Barnett had said we’d reevaluate each time to see my body’s response, and because my response we good, we kept the same low dose treatment for a 2nd round IUI that was succcessful!
Stacey, the sonographer [at Dallas IVF] was absolutely amazing. Super kind, considerate, very informative & in the most professional way she shared such hopefulness with each sonogram that good things could be coming. Amanda & Mallory we’re my nurses and both were great...I was provided a cost sheet at the beginning which was helpful since I don’t have infertility coverage through my insurance. Fertility meds cost about $500 each time, each sonogram was $250 & the IUI was about $500+...
How was your experience with Brian Barnett at Dallas IVF?
I am so grateful to have had such a knowledgeable, thorough, considerate doctor. I appreciate his straightforward nature and the efficiency of his office. We felt so comfortable with us recommended path of treatment, and so cared for along the way.
You are in great hands! Personally, I came prepared with my questions and Dr. Barnett helped me understand our history, our needs, and our potential for a successful pregnancy without having to take the most aggressive approach. I felt so informed, and hopeful about our future thanks to Dr. Barnett’s time spent with us and I hope you will too!
Dr. Barnett closely reviewed our history prior to our first appointment and asked us detailed questions. He patiently walked us through his recommendation, covering all details, and helping us understand our situation and what would be next. When I met him, I so wished I had come to see him sooner!
We had unexplained infertility & Dr. Barnett explained what percent of patients fall into this category. We had done a few tests in preparation - HSG, sperm analysis, ovarian reserve & thankfully all looked healthy & normal. So he recommended IUI treatment, with low doses of fertility meds. I took clomid & low doses & of gonal-f & ovidril to trigger ovulation. My body responded well to all meds, the first IUI was unsuccessful. Dr. Barnett had said we’d reevaluate each time to see my body’s response, and because my response we good, we kept the same low dose treatment for a 2nd round IUI that was succcessful!
Stacey, the sonographer was absolutely amazing. Super kind, considerate, very informative & in the most professional way she shared such hopefulness with each sonogram that good things could be coming. Amanda & Mallory we’re my nurses and both were great.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
The clinic is very organized & efficient. I’ve never had so many dr. appointments, but each time everyone was professional, prompt & supportive. I feel like the team of doctors are experts in their field & their leadership helps ensure the office is effective and supportive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Barnett at Dallas IVF.
Because we had no known issues, IUI was recommended for us which we felt great about. I had reservations about IVF which I shared with him & he shared helpful insights for me to consider if we learned we may need that path later (for example, we could limit our number of embryos if we were concerned about having many more than we wanted to implant should we ever need IVF treatment).
Frisco

He's [Dr. Barnett] open about his family and kids and inquires about our backgrounds which makes him incredibly personable, but he's a professional, and will get back to the business of discussing your game plan quickly while always taking the time to answer all of our questions...We were an unexplained case of infertility, so considering that, Dr. B wanted to only try 2 attempts at IUI starting with a conservative approach to stimulation drugs (Follistim and Clomid) for round 1, and a higher dosage for round 2. The plan was that if the IUI's didn't work, to not waste our time and money and shoot straight for IVF with a fresh transfer. First 2 IUI's were unsuccessful. Did the IVF with fresh transfer. Worked like a charm.
Amanda Wankovsky and Mallory Jackson [nurses at Dallas IVF] were my dream team! Their enthusiasm for our case was sincerely appreciated, and their availability for all of my questions, requests, and needs was always on hand. They made the (sometimes) long-winded tutorials fun when I needed to learn about the meds, and when they had to call with bad news their compassion was incredible. Though when they had our good news, their excitement was amazing!! I loved having them in my corner! Stacy from Sono was also absolutely wonderful, FANTASTIC at her craft, and completely professional. And I loved the older blood lady too, though I can't remember her name! She's so great at what she does... makes you feel so comfortable and NEVER misses. Sometimes I could hardly feel it when she hit the vein. An all around AMAZING staff.
How was your experience with Brian Barnett at Dallas IVF?
I remember upon first meeting Dr. B that his confidence was calming. He's incredibly knowledgeable about the fertility process, roadblocks, and options, and he was thorough when trying to figure out our fertility issues. He's straight forward and to the point, yet takes the time to get to know you which I'm all about... it's a nice balance between a realist and a coddler, if you will. It was always a pleasure meeting with him.
Be prepared with your questions and don't be afraid to keep on asking them - he's a busy doc, but he'll give you the time if you need it.
Loved every meeting with Dr. B in that I'm a fan of a doc who is direct and not too much of a hand-holder. He's open about his family and kids and inquires about our backgrounds which makes him incredibly personable, but he's a professional, and will get back to the business of discussing your game plan quickly while always taking the time to answer all of our questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda Wankovsky)
Amanda Wankovsky and Mallory Jackson were my dream team! Their enthusiasm for our case was sincerely appreciated, and their availability for all of my questions, requests, and needs was always on hand. They made the (sometimes) long-winded tutorials fun when I needed to learn about the meds, and when they had to call with bad news their compassion was incredible. Though when they had our good news, their excitement was amazing!! I loved having them in my corner! Stacy from Sono was also absolutely wonderful, FANTASTIC at her craft, and completely professional. And I loved the older blood lady too, though I can't remember her name! She's so great at what she does... makes you feel so comfortable and NEVER misses. Sometimes I could hardly feel it when she hit the vein. An all around AMAZING staff.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
Dallas IVF Frisco has a super convenient location, was incredibly clean, offerred lots of reading options in the lobby, and worked like a well-oiled machine. I did wish they had a Keurig in the lobby for some hot tea (or naughty coffee) - already told Dr. Ku that recommendation ;-)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Barnett at Dallas IVF.
Our insurance didn't cover much of anything, so we had to pay out of pocket.
Considering my age and a consultation with the embryologist (and my fearlessness of twins as I'm a twin and love being one) we went with 2 embryos for transfer.
Frisco

Dr. Mucowski met with me at each visit. ... She is extremely good at explaining the process step by step. She does not use a one protocol for all process. She allow your body to make the schedule not place you on a clinical rotation. She is well organized and on time. She personally greet you as a patient in the waiting room. She is a take charge type of doctor and make very well throughout decisions explaining all risk and benefits.
There is virtually no wait at the clinic [Dallas IVF]. There are multiple offices to choose from. The clinic have their own lab that's accredited and exceeds standards. The clinic is clean and welcoming. The waiting room is small but fine because they do not over book and it discourage patients from bringing so many other people. The equipment is up to date. ... All patients were scheduled for a financial consult. Prices generally went down and not up which is always a plus. They always found ways to save us money.
How was your experience with Sara Mucowski at Dallas IVF?
Relax ask as many questions as you need to and obsorbe all of the information she has to offer.
Dr. Mucowski met with me at each visit. She wrote hand written notes including hand drawn diagrams. She took time to understand and explain our condition. We were not new to IVF but there had been a 7 year difference between our first cycle and current cycle. she provided updated research and was very encouraging throughout the process. She remembers details and even make her own follow up calls.
Baseline ultrasound, blood work, genetic screening, infectious disease testing, semen analysis, apply for medication discounts, schedule medication teach, trial embryo transfer, and follow up for treatment plan. The treatment plan included follical stimulating hormone injections including menopur and Follistim. Ganirelix was added later to prevent premature ovulation. The protocol also used a double trigger Lupton shot and freeze all protocol.
Everyone works well together.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
There is virtually no wait at the clinic. There are multiple offices to choose from. The clinic have their own lab that's accredited and exceeds standards. The clinic is clean and welcoming. The waiting room is small but fine because they do not over book and it discourage patients from bringing so many other people. The equipment is up to date.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sara Mucowski at Dallas IVF.
I would have perfered multiple embryo transferred. I do trust her judgement and understand that there were risk.
Frisco

Dr. Ku is extremely compassionate in what he does....he still makes the time to contact his patients and see how they are doing with receiving bad news....Dr. Ku goes over every factor in detail and explains every step. He wants us to ask questions so that he addresses our concerns we have. He does not speak in medical terms that we would not be able to understand...Dr/ Ku is very patient in answering every question, no matter how insignificant it may mean.
The clinic [Dallas IVF ] is warm, not cold in a sense that you feel uncomfortable when waiting to be roomed. The front office are warm and welcoming. The back office nurses are always helpful and kid when working with the patient. Always received calls asap when getting lab work done. The clinic does not hassle you from a financial point of view. They are very considerate and work with you when it comes to the financial part of it. I can not think of any weaknesses the clinic has.
How was your experience with Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF?
Meeting Dr. Ku for an initial consult was a very great experience. When waiting in front lobby area. Dr. Ku is the one who gets you to his office, not the MA's. That in itself is very personable. Dr. Ku goes over every factor in detail and explains every step. He wants us to ask questions so that he addresses our concerns we have. He does not speak in medical terms that we would not be able to understand. When both of my IUI cycles came back to be unsuccessful, I would receive a call from him personally to voice his sadness with us. Each time he would ask if there was anything he could do to help me grieve the loss.
That they do not need to hesitate in asking many questions. Dr/ Ku is very patient in answering every question, no matter how insignificant it may mean.
Dr. Ku is extremely compassionate in what he does. He explained that him and his wife also struggled with infertility and have had kids through IVF. When receiving negative results from the nurse, he still makes the time to contact his patients and see how they are doing with receiving bad news.
I was taking a mix of Clomid and Letrozole along with low doses of Follistim injections. The reson I was put on this cocktail of meds was due to my PCOS. I have a very large number of eggs to each ovary and Dr. Ku did not want to cause OHSS if taking too may injections. At each visit, he would adjust med/injection intake to make sure treatment did not cause OHSS.
All of the nurses were very kind and helpful. They always explained things as they worked. They were patient in answering all of the questions I had.
Describe your experience with Dallas IVF.
The clinic is warm, not cold in a sense that you feel uncomfortable when waiting to be roomed. The front office are warm and welcoming. The back office nurses are always helpful and kid when working with the patient. Always received calls asap when getting lab work done. The clinic does not hassle you from a financial point of view. They are very considerate and work with you when it comes to the financial part of it. I can not think of any weaknesses the clinic has.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lowell Ku at Dallas IVF.
My insurance did not cover anything fertility related. For each IUI cycle, including ultrasounds and lab work, I paid roughly around $1k each time. This is not including the medications.
Have not done IVF with Dr. Ku as of yet due to financial reasons.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dallas IVF.
A medication was not called in once to the mail order pharmacy. Fortunately, it did not affect my cycle and med was still called in timely a manner