Dominion Fertility

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
Arlington Office 4040 North Fairfax Drive
Fairfax, VA 22033
Washington DC
1145 19th Street NW Suite
Washington, DC 20036
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Dominion Fertility to a friend?
Arlington location [Dominion Fertility] - clean, nice relaxing environment, modern, organized. Receptionists are kind and not rude, which is HUGE. I feel that so many times, doctors' offices have rude receptionists. The wait time is relatively insignificant... [Nursing Staff] Very nice and very responsive over email, which is good for me, especially during the business hours. If I ask a question over email before 2pm, I can expect an answer same day. They are all pleasant in person and seem to run a tight ship.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Arlington location - clean, nice relaxing environment, modern, organized. Receptionists are kind and not rude, which is HUGE. I feel that so many times, doctors' offices have rude receptionists. The wait time is relatively insignificant.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Gordon comes out to greet you in the waiting room. He understands that we are seeking answers and options and he is clear about his expectations. I never felt that he didn't take my concerns seriously or that he did not understand how difficult it is to start to try and conceive again after having a stillborn a year ago.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Even though we are dealing with the stressful topic of infertility after having a stillborn, Dr. Gordon's hopeful and optimistic attitude combined with his frankness when describing expectations and risks was very much appreciated. I wanted to feel like he understood and cared about my history and that any course of treatment that he prescribed was carefully tailored to my case. So far, 3 rounds of letrozole/novarel/timed intercourse failed and we are hopefully to do IVF once we get tests and finances straightened out. I will be nervous, of course, given that I have lost a son at 32 weeks due to unknown causes. I appreciated that he was direct and confident in his approach and very knowledgeable. As someone who is seeking answers, he has done his best to give us answers to the extent that he could and if he couldn't, he would explain why. As for a con, I wish I could have more time to ask more questions and talk to him more about my concerns. It's not like he rushes us out, but I think consultations should be longer than 30 minutes.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
write down all the questions you have ahead of time. Be informed about your own case and be your own advocate.
Describe the protocols John David Gordon used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
After being dx'ed with lean PCOS, he prescribed Metformin, which I didn't want to take/didn't tolerate too much. He said I could stop taking it if that was the case; I am not insulin resistant. I took Letrozole from days 5-9 of my cycle, then we would do u/s monitoring and then take Novarel to force ovulation. We did this timed intercourse for three months, which did not work for us for whatever reason. His advice was that we should try a different approach after 3 times of trying this, and I agree. He also knew that as someone who had a stillborn, I am not able to handle the disappointment each month and I would not want to be trying w/o success (or likelihood of success) each month w/o a plan. We discussed IUI and IVF options; he didn't push either. We chose IVF. We start next cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility.
$600 so far for 3 rounds of letrozole/novarel/progesterone pills
Describe John David Gordon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
Dr. Gordon does not encourage multiple embryo transfer because it is more high risk. I agree with this approach. After suffering a major loss, I do not want to add more risk to pregnancy -- something that is riskier than I had ever expected.
Arlington
The clinic [Dominion Fertility] is very clean and well-organized. The staff is very professional and they have a nice large waiting room. It is a comfortable place to receive treatment. They have available clinic hours for weekend visits to obtain certain treatments or tests. The place seems well-run and we have never had to wait too long to be seen. Sometimes there has been no wait at all. Scheduling appointments has been easy and hassle-free.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The clinic is very clean and well-organized. The staff is very professional and they have a nice large waiting room. It is a comfortable place to receive treatment. They have available clinic hours for weekend visits to obtain certain treatments or tests. The place seems well-run and we have never had to wait too long to be seen. Sometimes there has been no wait at all. Scheduling appointments has been easy and hassle-free.
Dr. Gordon was very warm and understanding during the process, but provided us with a frank assessment of our situation and potential courses of action.
The nursing staff was very prepared and professional at all times. They were helpful in answering questions they were able to answer, and telling us which questions should be directed to the doctor.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Gordon has been very helpful and understanding for us throughout the process, and I have trusted the medical advice he has provided and the course of treatments he has recommended. He has been supportive and has given us good advice that enabled us to make an informed decision in deciding whether to continue with IUI treatments or to move on to more aggressive treatment measures, such as IVF.
Dr. Gordon is an excellent fit who will show empathy to those who need it. Our process was particularly difficult because my partner and I had experienced a stillbirth following difficulties becoming pregnant. Dr. Gordon did not shy away from referencing our history and showed sympathy for our situation in addition to factoring it into our treatment.
Dr. Gordon recommended a 3 month course of IUI given that we had solid and healthy fertility factors for our age (I'm 38 and my partner is 37). After that was not successful, he allowed us to make an informed decision as to whether to pursue more aggressive (and more expensive options). I appreciate that I did not feel any pressure from him to pursue the more aggressive option. He presented the options and let us make the decision.
It was a few hundred dollars for our first few rounds of IUI. We are considering options for IVF that range from about $16,000 to $26,000.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
I like the clinic [Dominion Fertility]. It’s easy to get to and it’s clean. I like the Arlington clinic for aesthetics only. They’re very organized and I like that the staff a talk to each other so it’s less chance of miscommunication.... The monitoring appointments are scheduled during convenient hours when you’re typically on your way to work. I’ve never seen more than 2 women waiting to be seen here. Everything is kept confidential and sign-in and sign-out is easy.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I like the clinic. It’s easy to get to and it’s clean. I like the Arlington clinic for aesthetics only. They’re very organized and I like that the staff a talk to each other so it’s less chance of miscommunication.
Dr. Gordon explained that I may want to consider other avenues (child-free, adoption or donor egg) since we were spending so much money and time and not getting the results that we wanted. I appreciated him saying this, but I also think I was in the right headspace to receive it unlike before when another fertility doctor said the exact same thing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christina)
The nursing staff here is amazing!! Hey really take the time out to educate you on the treatment, how to administer the treatment, and just being very personable.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
I think he’s a good doctor. Very caring and he’s tried as much as I think he can at this point. He’s been empathetic with us and has met with us to discuss our options. He doesn’t seem like he’s in it only for the money and is invested in us being successful with whatever decision we choose.
Ask a lot of questions and come prepared with options to try.
Tried stimulating me even though my prognosis was that I wouldn’t be a high responder. I wish we hadn’t wasted the time and money on this and tried the other option which was a modified natural IVF. This would help to control my early ovulation. The modified cycle produced one egg, but it wasn’t viable. The stimulated treatment didn’t produce any egg in my follicle.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Dominion Fertility.
For the stimulated IVF, it was around $24,000. For the modified IVF, it was the same cost as the natural cycle at around $5,000, but with increased cost of meds which wasn’t covered by my insurance for over $1,000. Consultation visits were $250/visit.
Dr. Gordon said he’d only transfer one depending on my age.
Fairfax
I went to Dominion’s Fair Oaks office and had the pleasure of working with Christina and Lisa. They are both amazing! They always kept me calm and were there to answer any questions I had...Doninion does have a variety of [cost] packages to choose from which is helpful...offices are wonderful! Clean, modern and up to date technology. They keep up with all the latest research and science. I was seen mostly at the Fair Oaks office but also had some treatments at the Arlington location.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Dominion’s offices are wonderful! Clean, modern and up to date technology. They keep up with all the latest research and science. I was seen mostly at the Fair Oaks office but also had some treatments at the Arlington location.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Dr Kay is extremely personable and always remembered every detail of my case.
How was your experience with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Dr Kay is an amazing Dr and I would recommend her to anyone struggling with infertility. I went to her thinking I had a bicornuate uterus and I had no idea why I wasn’t getting pregnant. It didn’t take her long to realize I actually had a septate uterus. She performed surgery to fix it and I got pregnant on my first FET. Unfortunately I miscarried my first two babies. Dr Kay was there with a hug and willing to help me move forward in any way that I wanted to. I am currently 14 weeks pregnant with my little girl! I also struggle with extreme anxiety and Dr Kay understood that and always made sure to calm my fears. I can’t say enough good things about this Dr. She is truly one in a million!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Ask Dr Kay any questions you have regarding treatment. She is very upfront and honest.
Describe the protocols Kay Waud used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
Since my infertility was really just due to the septate uterus my egg retrieval and transfers were pretty standard I think.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility.
Well, IVF isn’t cheap! Doninion does have a variety of packages to choose from which is helpful, but between your package, additional testing and medication it adds up quick!
Describe Kay Waud's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
At Doninion they will only transfer one embryo at a time. At first I thought maybe it would be nice to have twins but now I’m reallh glad that one at a time is their policy.
Kay Waud
Fairfax
I like the clinic [Dominion Fertility] a lot. It’s a nice facility that is easy to get to with ample parking. The financial counselor is clear and upfront about costs, and she has been very helpful with communicating with the insurance company on my behalf. I have never had a billing issue. Appointments run on schedule. My calls and emails are always returned that day, and the nursing staff and IVF coordinators are wonderful people. The clinic does have fairly rigid rules about only doing frozen transfers and they almost mandate PGS testing. This may not work for all patients.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I like the clinic a lot. It’s a nice facility that is easy to get to with ample parking. The financial counselor is clear and upfront about costs, and she has been very helpful with communicating with the insurance company on my behalf. I have never had a billing issue. Appointments run on schedule. My calls and emails are always returned that day, and the nursing staff and IVF coordinators are wonderful people. The clinic does have fairly rigid rules about only doing frozen transfers and they almost mandate PGS testing. This may not work for all patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
He personally called to give me the news after both transfers, which I appreciated. His manner is brusque, and he said to me many times that he would have expected me to be pregnant by now as most of their patients are within two transfers. He seemed frustrated that I fell outside what works for the rest of the practice, but he didn’t offer many suggestions of things to do differently for me next time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jen Machovina)
The nursing staff is compassionate, organized, friendly, and helpful. I loved all of them.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
His bedside manner is very blunt, and he seemed personally offended by any questions I had about the process, like he expected me to have blind faith since he was the expert. I understand that he is, but strongly feel given the nature of this science, patients will have questions and it’s only professional to answer them willingly. I am by no means a pushy person, but he made me feel I was by rolling his eyes when I’d ask questions or sarcastically saying things like, “someone’s been doing research.” He told us many times that he’d “get me pregnant” and when that didn’t happen, he just kept repeating that most people do; he seemed more frustrated than compassionate and didn’t have much to offer in terms of how we might do things differently.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
I would say have a very thick skin and be prepared to advocate for yourself.
Describe the protocols Michael DiMattina used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
I was on the antagonist protocol for both IVF cycles. I do not know the rationale for this, but it seems to be a common protocol. I ended up with one genetically normal embryo from each retrieval.
Most monitoring appointments were fairly quick, and I was able to get to work on time afterwards. On weekends they took longer because only one of their three clinics is open on weekends and it wold be more crowded because of that. Still though, it wasn’t bad.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility.
I was lucky enough to have insurance coverage at 60% with a $2500 out of pocket max.This means I paid that plus fees to have embryos genetically tested and stored.
Describe Michael DiMattina's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
My doctor would only transfer one genetically tested embryo at a time, which I was comfortable with.
Arlington
Since I was younger (30) when I started treatment [at Dominion Fertility] and I was doing fertility treatment due to male factor, I was recommended the Natural IVF cycle. This was great because it was the quarter of the cost of one cycle, and there were little use of extra hormones...The nurses are amazing! They are your cheerleaders all the way thru!..We used Natural Cycle IVF. It took three treatment cycles to be successful (2 did not reach the egg transfer stage). In total we spent 16,500...The Arlington office is the best! Get there early for monitoring hours.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The Arlington office is the best! Get there early for monitoring hours.
Dr. D was awesome! He was encouraging and made me feel confident about the treatment plan (NC-IVF).
The nurses are amazing! They are your cheerleaders all the way thru!
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. D was always upfront about the treatment. Natural IVF is not offered at many clinics, but Dr. D takes the time educate his patients and select the best option for treatement. I never had any doubts about his knowledge and experience.
Dr. DiMattina will recommend the best treatment for you. Though the initial test seem daunting they help develop the picture of what is the best path to conceive. Never be afraid to ask questions, Dr. D will always take time talk to you.
Since I was younger (30) when I started treatment and I was doing fertility treatment due to male factor, I was recommended the Natural IVF cycle. This was great because it was the quarter of the cost of one cycle, and there were little use of extra hormones. I came to the office about 4-5 times fir blood test and ultrasounds (to track the growth of my egg). With Natural IVF there is only one egg produced at a time. Then when my egg was mature enough I was told to do a trigger shot (which speeds up the maturity). Within 36 hours I was in the office for an egg retrieval. I came back 5 days later for transfer. While waiting for my transfer I was prescribed progesterone and estrogen.
Arlington
We were generally in and out with about half an hour [at Dominion - Arlington]. Each visit they asked when we usually come for monitoring, so they can be prepared for staffing at peak hours. We were always promptly seen. No complaints...The clinic as a whole walks you through every step of the process, so there's nothing to tell a new patient. They'll help you as you go along. They were always prompt with paperwork and everything we needed. We were assigned a coordinator who helped order medicine and checked in with us on setting up appointments. The whole process was very smooth...
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
At Columbia Fertility, I felt like a number. I could never get over how many people were processed there each time I went in for monitoring, and it felt very impersonal, but at Dominion, they said hello to me by name at check-in. They asked what time would be best for monitoring, so they could have enough staff at peak hours, resulting in us usually be in and out within half an hour. During my egg retrieval, I was very emotional, and the nurses and Dr. Gordon took the time to answer all my questions and comfort me, following up with a call later that day to check in. When we heard the heartbeat for the first time, I cried, and so did our nurse. I always felt like they were all just as invested as we were, hugging us both after our last appointment. We were sad to have to go to a new doctor and wanted to stay with them for the whole pregnancy!
Besides Dr. Gordon, this is the best part about Dominion. Every single nurse we met was wonderful, and we felt they truly cared for us and were invested in the best results for us. They were so caring and made us feel so at ease. I was very emotional after the egg retrieval, and the nurse helping us that day let me cry on her shoulder and called me later to check up on me. The nurse with us the last few appointments was so happy when she heard that I'd had a positive home pregnancy test and cried when I cried hearing the heartbeat for the first time. There's no doubt in my mind that we weren't just numbers. They all really cared for us.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Gordon was always very clear that he didn't have all the answers. He tells you like it is but is clearly compassionate and invested in the process with you. We saw Dr. Gordon during most of our visits during monitoring, and he did all our procedures, so we really felt we got to know him and were sad he couldn't be with us through the whole pregnancy. I haven't had such a good experience with a doctor putting us at ease yet patiently answering all our questions in a long time.
I'll still remember some of his advice and pass it on to friends who are in similar situations, but when we were struggling to decide whether we wanted to do IVF and then if we wanted to do natural or stimulated, he agreed that it was a hard decision, helping us understand pros and cons with all options. He also said if you had cancer, you would never question trying to get the best care for yourself. In this situation, you can think of it the same way, but people struggle because cancer really never spontaneously cures itself whereas infertility can. Not sure if that was the intention, but that put it in perspective for me that this was a medical issue that we were treating not some failure on our part.
We had already done a failed IUI at another clinic and went to Dr. Gordon wanting to learn more about natural cycle IVF as we were still unsure about stimulated IVF. Having talked through our options, he thought we were good candidates for both natural and stimulated. However, it was our decision to do stimulated in the end because we knew our insurance only allowed us to do one round, and we decided it was best in our situation.
At Columbia, monitoring was absolutely a cattle call, but at Dominion, it was a well oiled machine. We were generally in and out with about half an hour. Each visit they asked when we usually come for monitoring, so they can be prepared for staffing at peak hours. We were always promptly seen. No complaints.
Our insurance covered most costs, but we do pay for embryo storage, the injection teaching, visits after I was pregnant and couple other things. Overall, we did spend a lot, but it wasn't nearly as much as it would have been without insurance.
2011 - 2016
[Dominion -Arlington clinic is] Very organized, convenient locations and hours, accommodating and competent medical staff. We had a few bumps in the road with billing and some communications that weren't clear. This wasn't typical for them...They had a long time window for monitoring so you can easily pick a time convenient for you. Wait times varied greatly depending on patients that day. I've gotten in 5 minutes, but sometimes waited up to 30...
2011 - 2016
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The staff and doctors knew us by name, especially the nurses whom you see a lot during monitoring.
Fantastic.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
If you need hand holding, he's not for you. However, for us it was more important to feel we were receiving the best medical treatment and he is highly competent. He's blunt and gets right down to business but in the end he actually opened up and grew on us a bit. He's progressive (first to offer PGS and PGD along with natural cycle IVF, which worked for us on our 2nd pregnancy). He will try different approaches quickly if something is not working.
Trust him.
First pregnancy- egg retrievals using hormone injections. First cycle was a fresh transfer (unsuccessful). He believed my body did not want to get pregnant while having the drugs in my system so we waited a month and next cycle was a natural cycle frozen transfer which resulted in a baby. 2nd pregnancy- 4 yrs later had diminished ovarian reserve. Got fewer and less quality eggs; 2 transfers, no pregnancy. Switched it up to natural cycle IVF. Pregnant on first try.
First 3 cycles covered by insurance. Paid out of pocket for last 2. They would not offer us a guarantee package due to my low ovarian reserve even though I was only 34.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Monitoring [at Doninion - Arlington] is by default a disorganized event. Some days there are very few women in the waiting room and other days it is packed with a line out the door. Typically at this clinic, they see you quickly. However, they separate the blood draw from the sonogram and you are forced back into the waiting room a second time in between the two. It is an aggravating experience where you wish they would just combine it all into one visit...
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I choose Dr. D Matina because he was the longes running partner at the clinic and natural cycle IVF pioneer in the US. However, in hindsight I would have done some more homework and selected Dr. Gordon as my primary endochronologist for a variety of reasons
He was always available by phone or message. After every disappointing result, he'd ask us in for follow up personal visit with a hug and a smile. When we did conceive, Dr. D (as he's called), called the little dot on the sonogram our "baby". Every other doctor called that the "embryo."
Nurses were amazing - like family. They felt your highs and lows with you. Called at all hours and were available to you the same. Each morning was a ray of sunshine with the nurses even though you'd just seen them and were stressed in general about IVF
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. D was a warm and caring Doctor. After the third or fourth cycle failed, however, the answer was always the same: come in for a chat. But talking was not going to ever change the outcome of our failed fertility cycles. By the time it was over, I wanted to only see Dr. Gordon. He was younger, fresher and seemingly more up to date on the latest medical studies
Use all the doctors at Dominion. If you're going the natural cycle route, that's what they will do anyway because no doctor can be in seven days a week. Read up on Dr. Gordon and his publications online before selecting a doctor at Dominion
Dominion fertility is a "natural cycle" IVF clinic pioneer in the field. Dr. D led this revolution on the East Coast after studying in Europe for sometime. His approach is one of minimal drugs and truly adhering to nature – only transferring the number of embryos naturally conceived without any drugs. The doctor's job is to simply monitor your natural cycle. If and when it does not work out, the solution is always to try again the next month. That is very much in line with nature and God's creation. However, it all falls apart after the sixth cycle failure and $40,000 gone... However, most women will probably conceived with Dr. D in 1, 2 or maximum 3 cycles ... so this is not an issue
Monitoring is by default a disorganized event. Some days there are very few women in the waiting room and other days it is packed with a line out the door. Typically at this clinic, they see you quickly. However, they separate the blood draw from the sonogram and you are forced back into the waiting room a second time in between the two. It is an aggravating experience where you wish they would just combine it all into one visit
The cost quoted is not exactly the same as the cost billed per natural cycle IVF. There are additional hidden fees that are not self evident as part of the process, so the monthly bill is roughly $1,000 to $2,000 higher than what is quoted to you for a natural cycle. Heads up!
2009 - 2015
2 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Natalie Sophia (who runs the donor egg program) was one of the most ethical and professional nurses I have ever met. She answered every single once of my many emails and questions within 24 hours. She was also hopeful and optimistic when I was not.
2009 - 2015
2 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie Sophia)
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
I consulted with multiple groups before undergoing fertility treatments. Dr. Gordon was the right fit from the beginning. He was straightforward, blunt, and gave just the right amount of sympathy without making me feel more sorry for myself. We had a lot of procedures that did not result in a pregnancy, and he was there for my pregnancies that ended in miscarriage. I always appreciated his personal phone calls and follow up with my OB. We also came to value his approach to trying again (or not) and was always willing to try (or at least discuss) some of my own ideas. Over multiple years I used up several lifetime limits on different insurance programs. Once I had decided to use an egg donor and knew I would be paying out of pocket for 100% of the cost of treatment, there was no question that I would be going to Dominion Fertility and Dr. Gordon. Once I finally had success and brought home a real live baby, I felt like I was bringing the baby to visit the "family" who made him possible.
He can be really blunt, he won't hold your hand and cry with you. He will be very honest and not sell you a procedure or a statistic that won't work.
Monitoring was from 7 to 9 am. I could be out of there within 35 min (even when the waiting room was full). The nurses even gave me the advice that if I was more flexible on leaving, 8:30 would mean a less full waiting room.
2012 - 2013
They [staff at Dominion Fertility] are very honest and forthcoming with any information about my history and future cycles. Dr. Gordon explains everything very well so that one can understand. There is so much to take in during an ivf cycle but they all do a great job to help you not to feel overwhelmed...They [nurses] were all very caring and compassionate. They work very early hours and see a great deal of patients each day, but I always felt they were there to listen and take care of me.
2012 - 2013
European, Latino
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
They are very honest and forthcoming with any information about my history and future cycles. Dr. Gordon explains everything very well so that one can understand. There is so much to take in during an ivf cycle but they all do a great job to help you not to feel overwhelmed.
Very personal care with Dr. Gordon, his staff and all of the nurses. They all had great bedside manner and care about their patients. I always felt they were doing what was best for me and my husband.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sam)
They were all very caring and compassionate. They work very early hours and see a great deal of patients each day, but I always felt they were there to listen and take care of me.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Gordon is very honest and is great at explain procedures and what to expect with each procedure. He also works slowly and gently during procedures, so it does not feel rushed. He talked to my husband and I throughout the transfers to explain what was going on. He always took the time to explain things during meetings when a transfer did not work.
Trust in the protocols he prescribes. He will change what needs to be changed if a protocol does not work.
I do not remember the specific protocols used. I know that I always produced enough eggs to create embryos. One cycle was natural cycle ivf, so there were no injectable medications used. This cycle produced a viable embryo transferred on day 5, but no pregnancy.
Monitoring was during early morning hours, before work, which worked for me. The nurses were very quickly during this time to see all of the patients they needed to see.
My employer covered fertility treatments 100% so I was very fortunate not to have paid anything except for the cryopreservation of embryos.
They strongly recommended transferring 1 embryo during my second and third transfer. My first transfer was from natural cycle ivf, so it only produced one egg. On my third transfer, I wanted to transfer two embryos, and they very specifically warned me that I could end up with twins, which is high-risk.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
The clinic [Dominion] is well organized and everybody is very polite. The team of nurses are very skilled and nice. Everybody seems ready to help you and answer your questions. It is not difficult to get an appointment with your doctor; however, doctors don't provide you their emails. If you have questions, you have to contact the nurses. When you call the nurses, you always have to leave a message and then they will call you back. I would prefer that they pick up the calls. I used to get nervous that I would miss their calls and then I would have to leave another message and wait for their call again.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The clinic is well organized and everybody is very polite. The team of nurses are very skilled and nice. Everybody seems ready to help you and answer your questions. It is not difficult to get an appointment with your doctor; however, doctors don't provide you their emails. If you have questions, you have to contact the nurses. When you call the nurses, you always have to leave a message and then they will call you back. I would prefer that they pick up the calls. I used to get nervous that I would miss their calls and then I would have to leave another message and wait for their call again.
Dr. Gordon always cared about me and answered every question I have with a lot of patience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility.
The nurse always answered my emails the same day. It was more difficult to reach on the phone.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Gordon seems to be a good professional and a very nice person. He is patient and willing to help you throughout the entire process. I was lucky that my egg retrievals were during the week so he was able to do them. If the egg retrievals had been during a weekend when he was not working, another doctor would have done them. I don't like that. Fortunately, I was lucky.
Get informed about the process and ask as many questions as you can.
The monitoring is "first come, first served". The monitoring hours start early and end at 9AM. I think the time frame is very convenient.
Arlington
I love the nurses at Dominion. They treated me as if I was their only patient. They were always supportive, always positive, and even sprinkled me with fairy dust...My monitoring experience was good...The clinic’s strengths are communication and individualized care. I have found no weaknesses. Things to know are the same for all fertility offices - be prepared to pay prior to receiving services. The costs are high, although I found Dominion to be less expensive than other practices.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I felt that my care was very personalized. Dominion uses a team approach but Dr. Gordon was very involved the entire time. They treated me more like a member of their family.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
I love Dr. Gordon. He was the perfect doctor for me. He was very realistic and honest yet presented things in an optimistic manner. He was willing to try when no other doctor would. He was communicative therefore I never had questions.
Don’t wait! Infertility is stressful. You need a doctor who will also be a cheerleader and team member with you. Dr. Gordon is that doctor!
The strategy he used that ultimately led to pregnancy for me was putting me on birth control pills to reset my hormones. This was after my third monitoring cycle which lasted over three months. The BCP reset worked.
My monitoring experience was good. The nurses were fantastic.
I do not remember specifics. My insurance covered doctor visits.
2014 - 2017
It [Dominion Fertility] is well organized, well run, and easy to work with. Our experience was nothing but positive...It was expensive but the finance department was great about reaching out proactively to discuss upcoming treatments...Best best best nursing staff around. Friendly, caring, gentle...Dr. Gordon is definitely a character and has a big personality. He can be blunt and very matter of fact. That doesn't bother me but any potential patients should know that as if you need a kinder touch, he may not be the right fit.
2014 - 2017
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
It is well organized, well run, and easy to work with. Our experience was nothing but positive.
Dr. Gordon has had to delivery both good and bad news to us over the last few years. He has celebrated with us in the good moments and has been very supportive when our results haven't been what we wanted. It's all felt like a very human experience.
Best best best nursing staff around. Friendly, caring, gentle.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Gordon is definitely a character and has a big personality. He can be blunt and very matter of fact. That doesn't bother me but any potential patients should know that as if you need a kinder touch, he may not be the right fit. He's lovely and very kind, he just often says what needs to be said. Most importantly, I found Dr. Gordon very good about recommending to us a wide variety of options for treatment. He might suggest how we proceed, but he was always very clear about our options and totally open to our preference. He also often references research and what medical studies say about increased rates of success (for example, recommending endometrial biopsy in order to increase the chance of successful subsequent FETs) which we liked a lot. Made us feel like we were dealing with a true professional.
Quick and convenient.
Our insurance covered a great deal of the costs (minus the medications unfortunately). It was expensive but the finance department was great about reaching out proactively to discuss upcoming treatments.
Arlington
I appreciated being able to email with the nurses [at Dominion Fertility]. They also emailed me with the protocol each day, which was great so that I didn't have to write it down from a voicemail. They answered all questions promptly and candidly...I selected a package that allowed 2 retrievals and unlimited implantations. It also included assisted hatching, ICSI, etc. therefore making it almost equivalent to the cost of doing everything a la carte. I luckily didn't need the 2nd round, but don't mind that I paid a bit more for the peace of mind.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
On time appointments, clean office, organized billing, caring nurses, successful results.
He remembered me each time and spoke to me like a person. The nurses were very responsive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie)
I appreciated being able to email with the nurses. They also emailed me with the protocol each day, which was great so that I didn't have to write it down from a voicemail. They answered all questions promptly and candidly.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
He was very direct and honest, which I appreciated. Bedside manner was good enough - I was not trying to find a new best friend, rather the best doctor that would give me the results I wanted, and he was definitely the one. He is a leader in the industry and treated my case with the attention I desired.
Know that you aren't going to get a lot of warm-fuzzies, but will ideally get the results you desire.
I went in for monitoring first thing in the morning when they opened. A nurse would take my blood and then I would see one of the 3 doctors for the ultrasound. I would say I had to wait 10-20 maximum, sometimes only 5.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
the weekends [at Dominion Fertility] get pretty busy and you have to wait...They open very early in the Arlington office M-F...the nurses are amazing, especially Sam and Natalie, but the whole staff really is invested in their patient's success. I had some really wild mood swings and they talked me off the roof more than once...They are a great team and they provided the support and compassion I needed especially day 5-6 of stims when I had a minor meltdown.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I wish they had better parking, but I used metro for most early morning visits. the weekends get pretty busy and you have to wait.
Dr. DiMattina was very clear in his explanation of the need to try IVF with genetic testing to avoid another miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: natalie sofia, Sam)
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
He is very candid and some may find him too blunt, but I liked his straight forward explanation.
gonal-f and menopur for 9 days triggered on day 10 and froze embryos and 3 came back normal. I have 2 left for a sibling for my son.
They open very early in the Arlington office M-F, but weekends get busy and the wait time increases.
I was lucky to have some coverage for IVF, but ICSI/PGS was separate charge
Strong preference for transferring one.
Arlington
The clinic [Dominion - Fairfax] runs like a well oiled machine, with everyone (including the finance folks) right on site...Expensive but worth it. $24,500 for the guarantee program, which guarantees a live birth or you get the money back, and covers 4 IVF cycles and all transfers...I have had an amazing experience with Dr Gordon...Come with questions - he is very patient and has spent a lot of time answering all of mine!...Because of both PCOS and male factor infertility, Dr Gordon did not recommend trying Clomid.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The clinic runs like a well oiled machine, with everyone (including the finance folks) right on site
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
I have had an amazing experience with Dr Gordon. After going off my birth control medicine, I had experienced rapid and unexplained weight gain over the past 18 months, and had seen almost a dozen specialists and had been tested for everything from thyroid disease to brain tumors, without being able to identify the cause. Within 5 minutes of meeting Dr Gordon he suggested that it was PCOS, and he was correct. I'm now mediciates for PCOS and have been losing the weight.
Because of both PCOS and male factor infertility, Dr Gordon did not recommend trying Clomid. He did suggest IUI, but we decided to skip right to IVF since the success rates are so much higher
Dr Gordon strongly encourages single transfer, since it is safer and has a much higher success rate. His office does offer a "guarantee program" that we qualified for, so there is no extra expense to us to do one at a time.
2013 - 2014
Dr. Reh [of Dominion Fertility] was nice enough. I didn't feel like a number but at the same time, I didn't feel too special....I saw Dr. Reh during the very beginning of my infertility journey. I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Later, after I had moved out of state and gotten a new clinic, we found out that I have endometriosis. I guess Dr. Reh couldn't have know that I had it at the time, because it's somewhat difficult to diagnose, but I can't help but think that maybe she could have caught it early before it did too much damage.
2013 - 2014
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrea Reh at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Reh was nice enough. I didn't feel like a number but at the same time, I didn't feel too special.
What specific things went wrong at Dominion Fertility?
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Dominion Fertility?
I saw Dr. Reh during the very beginning of my infertility journey. I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Later, after I had moved out of state and gotten a new clinic, we found out that I have endometriosis. I guess Dr. Reh couldn't have know that I had it at the time, because it's somewhat difficult to diagnose, but I can't help but think that maybe she could have caught it early before it did too much damage. Dr. Reh constantly reminded me how young I was (around 31 at the time) and that I had plenty of time. I guess she thought it would work out soon for me. But it didn't. I was coming at the problem aggressively, but she encouraged me that this approach wasn't necessary. Because of this I kind of felt like a number. Most of their patients go on to get pregnant. And I eventually did, but it was difficult and the endometriosis had time to do a lot of damage.
Andrea Reh
Arlington
The doctor and the nurses [at Dominion - Fairfax] were all very caring...The nurses were great.They were very caring and competent....We had an excellent experience with Dr Gordon.We had been trying to get pregnant for almost 10 years and thanks to Dr Gordon, we are now the parents of two children. He was compassionate, caring,honest...we really had a wonderful experience with him. In our journey to get pregnant, we saw many fertility doctors and Dr Gordon was by far the best one.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
They are caring, competent .
The doctor and the nurses were all very caring.
The nurses were great.They were very caring and competent.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Do not hesitate to ask any questions.He will respond honestly .
I had a natural cycle IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
All the nurses I dealt with were kind and knowledgeable...It was busy on weekends, but they [Dominion Fertility] open at 0630 during the week and I was able to get in and to work on time...The billing staff was very helpful with my insurance which luckily covered most of my treatment...They are true to their slogan, they provide personalized care. The only negative is the parking, it's hard to find a spot.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The staff at Dominion Fertility always knew my name and situation at every monitoring appt.
All the nurses I dealt with were kind and knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
He is very direct and explains things like a scientist.
Write down your questions so you don't forget them during a consult.
We had done two failed cycles at another clinic and I had 3 miscarriages so Dr. D suggested IVF with PGS.
It was busy on weekends, but they open at 0630 during the week and I was able to get in and to work on time.