Nutrition counseling is not offered

Washington DC
1145 19th Street NW Suite
Washington, DC 20036

2022, Unknown Success
I felt totally rushed through the entire consultation and I felt like he [Dr. DiMattina] was trying to sell me something...His oversimplification of the process, side effects and overall decision to consider egg freezing was off putting. He treated it like I was buying a new car rather than exploring an emotional, somewhat scary and financially burdensome procedure...The way he kept simplifying the process was so impersonal given that it's a huge decision for most women
The staff [at Dominion Fertility] has been friendly but there have been mistakes/miscommunications. Communication has been a struggle due to the use of a patient portal vs. actual phone calls. I'm unclear as to when I should be using the portal vs. calling the office (it seems the portal is preferable). I've also had the office book appointments on the wrong day...I felt totally rushed through the entire consultation and I felt like he [Dr. DiMattina] was trying to sell me something.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
His oversimplification of the process, side effects and overall decision to consider egg freezing was off putting. He treated it like I was buying a new car rather than exploring an emotional, somewhat scary and financially burdensome procedure (on my own). I felt rushed through my questions and did not feel I got an honest answer with regards to potential side effects of the treatment medications.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Unfortunately it would be to consider another doctor. I think he is missing the human connection element (or maybe he just had a bad day). Bedside manner, particularly when your are treating women for fertility is immensely important. The lack of understanding that many of his patients are traversing through an incredibly emotional (sometimes painful), and expensive process was very disappointing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
I felt totally rushed through the entire consultation and I felt like he was trying to sell me something. Without even learning about me he kept saying that "i was making the right decision" and kept repeating how easy this was going to be. It felt so phony. He also told me that his patients experience almost no side effects to the medications required for egg freezing - which based on my research isn't true. The way he kept simplifying the process was so impersonal given that it's a huge decision for most women (me included).
Describe the protocols Michael DiMattina used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
I saw him for the initial consultation and the vaginal ultrasound. He ordered some additional lab tests beyond the standard tests for fertility assessment prior to egg freezing due to the results of the vaginal ultrasound. I left the office confused about what was 'wrong with me', and whether I should be concerned about my fertility. After that, I decided to consider other doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yes )
unfortunately, I didn't feel communication with my nurse was very good. She didn't explain that I would be charged for the additional bloodwork ordered by the doctor (lesson learned, I guess I have to ask every time) and she quickly told me the names of my "financial care counselor" and someone else that I'd be dealing with (i honestly can't remember). I was thinking - "I'm never going to remember this", which of course I did't. I feel like your contact people should be written down for you, and if you are going to be charged for additional services, it should be understood in advance. I've also struggled to get the appropriate follow up documentation for insurance purposes despite asking before, during and after my appointments.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The staff has been friendly but there have been mistakes/miscommunications. Communication has been a struggle due to the use of a patient portal vs. actual phone calls. I'm unclear as to when I should be using the portal vs. calling the office (it seems the portal is preferable). I've also had the office book appointments on the wrong day. I have not received documentation that i was told would be easy to facilitate with the doctor (for insurance purposes), despite speaking with over five different people in different roles at the clinic about said documentation. I would tell a new patient to ask as many questions as possible to understand exactly what is included in the new patient consultation and testing as well as what is needed on their end in terms of documentation for insurance or HSA funding. I would also suggest that you do your research and seek reviews for any clinic in advance of seeing a doctor. Once you get into the office you feel committed to the process and the doctor you've chosen (because you've made a financial commitment at that point). You don't want to feel obligated to proceed with a doctor or a clinic that you aren't comfortable with. Despite me doing a lot of research on the egg freezing process and local clinics, I felt like I ended up at a place that may not be the best fit for me unfortunately.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility.
So far, I am at roughly $700 and will be charged another $300 or more for an additional ultrasound + the cost of additional bloodwork.
Describe Michael DiMattina's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
this is not applicable to me.
What specific things went wrong at Dominion Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dominion Fertility.
Having an appointment scheduled on the wrong day was one issue. Not receiving the requested documentation for insurance purposes after repeated requests. Not understanding that I'd be billed for additional bloodwork beyond what is included with the initial testing/consultation fees.
Michael DiMattina
Fairfax

2021, Successful
My experience was pretty mediocre. I didn't particular feel like a number to Dr. Sarajari but I also didn't necessary feel super attended to or well informed. I had to always initiate questions or do research online to figure out information...I wouldn't classify myself as a high need patient so I didn't need a lot of attention. I also am a mental health professional so had the capacity to cope with the unfortunate circumstances. However, at the same time would have appreciated a little more information regarding my care during my visits and more attention to mental health...
A major weakness [at Dominion Fertility] is their financial department....I had to initiate contact and find out the information I requested weeks ago. Not to mention I left multiple VMs with no return calls. When I finally talked with her on the phone, no apology...I felt more like a number when I came in for blood draws and monitoring...Every nurse was a little different. I interacted with multiple due to going between both Arlington and Bethesda clinic depending on where I was staying. Some nurses were more compassionate and informative than others. Overall, no one was terrible nor exceptional...
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
My experience was pretty mediocre. I wouldn't classify myself as a high need patient so I didn't need a lot of attention. I also am a mental health professional so had the capacity to cope with the unfortunate circumstances. However, at the same time would have appreciated a little more information regarding my care during my visits and more attention to mental health. I have the capacity to ask questions myself but it would be nice to not have to elicit information all the time as it should be standard of care. I had weeks of delay due to hormone issues and became increasingly frustrated and felt a little out of the loop.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
My experience was pretty mediocre. I didn't particular feel like a number to Dr. Sarajari but I also didn't necessary feel super attended to or well informed. I had to always initiate questions or do research online to figure out information. I felt more like a number when I came in for blood draws and monitoring which did not always involve Dr. Sarajari.
Describe the protocols Susan Sarajari used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
Due to my hormones preventing me from starting treatment, I had to take birth control pills. I had injections: gonal, menopur, ganirelix and lupron trigger shot. Injection were to stimulate multiple follicles to produce multiple eggs for retrieval. I ended up with 13 eggs, 5 fertilized and made it to freezing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kerry Hartman)
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
A major weakness is their financial department. I worked with Leslie Jackson and continue to feel disappointed and frustrated. After I was diagnosed with fertility issues, I met with Leslie Jackson requesting an overview of what my insurance would or would not cover before I could decide to start treatment. She told me she would request auths and send to me, by email, the financial costs. With the understanding and knowledge that she probably is very busy, I did not follow up until a few weeks later when I didn't hear anything. I called my insurance prior to see if an auth was requested. It was not. When I contacted my coordinator about this, she said she would help me follow up with Leslie. I never heard from Leslie. I called my insurance later to follow up and found she had requested an auth the day after I contacted my coordinator but never heard from her that she did so. I called my insurance again in a few days and found that the auth was approved. After that, I had yet to hear from Leslie to inform me. I had to initiate contact and find out the information I requested weeks ago. Not to mention I left multiple VMs with no return calls. When I finally talked with her on the phone, no apology whatsoever, straight up business talk. She has a habit of speaking fast and as if everyone in the world should know how insurance works. There is no consideration for the financial impact that infertility issues have on an individual or couple. I would imagine that one of the biggest factors that prevent someone from considering treatment is financial capacity. The fact that Dominion Fertility has a poor financial navigation department decreases its value. Furthermore, Dr. Sarajari is not a credentialed reproductive endocrinologist specialist with Blue Cross Blue Shield. She is only credentialed as a gynecologist. As a result, she, in the eyes of insurance, does not get to charge a specialist copay, only the copay rate of a PCP/GYN. However, I had to pay the specialist copay to the clinic. While I believe Dr. Sarajari is providing specialist services, it is not my fault she did not credential herself as such with my insurance company. They are only counting a part of the copay I paid to the clinic, it created a discrepancy between what I paid and what insurance counted. This resulted in me meeting my deductible and out of pocket maximum at a later date in the eyes of insurance when in reality, I already met it because of the specialist copay rate. Before even contacting Leslie, I called my insurance multiple times to first get a better understanding of what was going on and to see if insurance made a mistake. As a previous billing provider myself, I know that insurance has screwed up before. Insurance told me the services with Dr. Sarajari were billed as PCP/GYN, not specialist so Dominion would have to resubmit for it to process and specialist. I contacted Leslie on the patient portal about requesting a refund or for her to figure things out with insurance. Of course, she responds immediately, unlike my past interactions with her where it takes longer for a response. She argued that the services were not PCP/GYN, which I don’t disagree with. However, if there is a billing error, it needs to be fixed to reflect the actual services. She said she will send bills for reprocessing. A long period of time passes, I hear nothing, I call my insurance to see if the bills were submitted for reprocessing. It has not. I wait some more, call back, still nothing submitted for reprocessing. I finally go back to Leslie who claimed that her colleagued submitted the bills for reprocessing. Then proceeds to try to tell me that if I pursued a reprocessing that I would have to pay more out of pocket because of scheduling fees. It still did not make sense to me. I asked for clarification only for her to talk fast and not really help me understand her logic. So of course I have to call insurance AGAIN and I tried to ask about the scheduling fees she spoke of. They had no idea what she was talking about. From my understanding with insurance and my own research, I wouldn’t have to pay more and the insurance company actually would pay less. My insurance told me that Dr. Sarajari simply isn’t credentialed as a specialist so if she wants to collect the specialist copay, she needs to get credentialed with insurance as one. I go back to Leslie again expressing my frustration as I have spent A LOT of time and energy on this matter with little support from her. My insurance agreed to call her to work things out but she has not returned calls. Her simple response to my distress was that she didn’t receive calls and that she works until 3:30pm. The fact that I have my embryos at the facility and I have to go back for a transfer makes me mad. I want to switch to another provider but feel stuck. I want to resolve these issues before I have to go back for the transfer but clearly it’s going to cost me more time and energy. Simply based on my experience with the financial department, I wouldn’t recommend Dominion.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility.
Roughly $8k
What specific things went wrong at Dominion Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dominion Fertility.
See comments related to financial conflicts.
Susan Sarajari
Arlington

Dr. Waud is sensitive and friendly, but it's very hard to get to see her or talk to her. Even after failed transfers it was hard to get her to return my calls. she also stuck to established protocols and didn't personalize treatment to my specific issues, and if I asked questions she kind of blew me off. It was also very difficult to get basic information such as lab results, etc...I think she oversells. She told me to expect a high number of eggs retrieved, then when I responded poorly to stims in my first cycle she just kind of shrugged and repeated the exact same protocol for my second cycle. My FETs failed and again she just kind of shrugged. I felt like I could never get enough information out of her. It was very frustrating.
I only met my nurse coordinator [at Dominion Fertility] one time in more than a year. She was always very distracted when I called with questions, and seemed very disorganized. The nursing staff I saw at monitoring visits were mostly very friendly and competent. I always felt like they had my best interests in mind and they remembered things and followed up...It's a small enough clinic that you get personalized attention and people remember your name, but they're very bad at information sharing. They don't give you lab results or even basic information about procedure outcomes unless you chase them down. The business side of the clinic is disorganized; they didn't keep
How was your experience with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
If you like to know details about your treatment, she's not a good doctor for you. However if you're looking for someone warm with a good bedside manner, she'd be a good fit.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Holli)
I only met my nurse coordinator one time in more than a year. She was always very distracted when I called with questions, and seemed very disorganized. The nursing staff I saw at monitoring visits were mostly very friendly and competent. I always felt like they had my best interests in mind and they remembered things and followed up.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
It's a small enough clinic that you get personalized attention and people remember your name, but they're very bad at information sharing. They don't give you lab results or even basic information about procedure outcomes unless you chase them down. The business side of the clinic is disorganized; they didn't keep an accounting of the deposit they made me pay, so they tried to bill me for things even though they already had a huge deposit, and I had to fight with them and provide proof that I had put down a deposit. They forgot to bill my insurance several times. They also failed to send medical records when needed by other doctors.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility.
I had insurance but they required me to leave a large deposit rather than billing through my insurance and then billing me. Unfortunately they failed to keep a proper accounting of the deposit and billed me for things that should have been paid from the deposit, even threatening to postpone my procedures if I didn't give them more money. Their main finance person was pretty good when I could get a hold of her, but it was a constant battle.
Describe Kay Waud's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
I don't think they do multiple embryo transfers. At least I was told it wasn't an option.
Kay Waud

2020, Unsuccessful
She [our Dominion Fertility nurse] was very nice, but for many years on the job, I would have expected better communication, understanding. I also shouldn't have to wait to weeks to start treatment because my nurse coordinator didn't contact me...we couldn't get anyone [from finance] to call us back to explain anything. We were being forced to choose a "plan" without understanding what our options were..
How was your experience with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
The entire experience at Dominion Fertility was pretty terrible. The very first appointment went great, I thought the nurses were friendly and Dr. Kay explained the testing we would need. Dr. Kay diagnosed me with PCOS without having my test results based on the fact that my periods were "irregular" (which they really aren't). She insisted I go on metformin and that even if I didn't have PCOS I'd still need this medication. She was extremely difficult to get a hold of outside of an office visit. She was kind, but never made me feel comfortable in her diagnosis or decisions. I didn't feel like I would be in good care.
Do your research, make sure that you feel comfortable with the diagnosis and treatment.
It was impossible to reach the doctor outside of an office visit. When I did, I was given generic information that wasn't personalized to my specific needs. It seemed like the most important was to sell us on the IVF Guarantee program which would end up costing us a lot more money.
Describe the protocols Kay Waud used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
I didn't get far in treatment because of my experience. I was prescribed metformin unnecessarily and incorrectly diagnosed with PCOS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Hollie)
I wasn't contacted by my nurse coordinator for two weeks. I had to call repeatedly to get her to call me and explain the next steps of treatment as it wasn't clear. She wasn't able to fully answer all of our questions and had to refer us back to Dr. Waud. She was very nice, but for many years on the job, I would have expected better communication, understanding. I also shouldn't have to wait to weeks to start treatment because my nurse coordinator didn't contact me.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
This was by far the worst experience at a clinic in my entire life. The nurses pulled the wrong lab results (results for 2 years prior for different test) from the wrong lab and accused me of not getting the right lab work done. I am not sure how I would have been able to get testing for something else and then send it to them without a written order. The nurses seemed uninterested in explaining anything, my treatment, my medications and how to use them and why and my diagnosis. The nurses also didn't inform me that I'd have to have a 2 hour glucose test, so when I went to the lab, I wasn't prepared and didn't have enough time. I had to come back another day, wasting an additional day and taking time from work. They mostly seemed annoyed that I was contacting them or asking questions at appointments. The communication is terrible. Dr. Waud did not have any of the test results when she made the diagnosis of PCOS and put me on metformin. The whole point of seeing them was to having the proper testing done. She was upset when I kept on asking why she thought I had PCOS. She only wanted to sell us on the IVF Guarantee program, which wouldn't make sense for us with the outcome of our testing. Just seems like this clinic wants money. The financial department is very poorly run. We couldn't reach anyone to get financial information for weeks. When we did get the information, it was a bunch of jargon that makes no sense to first time IVF patients and we couldn't get anyone to call us back to explain anything. We were being forced to choose a "plan" without understanding what our options were. We are highly educated people and have no problem being able to sift through this type of language, but the Dominion Financial aspects seem intentionally vague so that you spend more money than you need. I discussed all of these issues with the Administrative department and hope they make these changes for future patients.
Kay Waud
2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
Dr. Reh [of Dominion Fertility] was nice enough. I didn't feel like a number but at the same time, I didn't feel too special....I saw Dr. Reh during the very beginning of my infertility journey. I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Later, after I had moved out of state and gotten a new clinic, we found out that I have endometriosis. I guess Dr. Reh couldn't have know that I had it at the time, because it's somewhat difficult to diagnose, but I can't help but think that maybe she could have caught it early before it did too much damage.
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Dominion Fertility?
I saw Dr. Reh during the very beginning of my infertility journey. I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Later, after I had moved out of state and gotten a new clinic, we found out that I have endometriosis. I guess Dr. Reh couldn't have know that I had it at the time, because it's somewhat difficult to diagnose, but I can't help but think that maybe she could have caught it early before it did too much damage. Dr. Reh constantly reminded me how young I was (around 31 at the time) and that I had plenty of time. I guess she thought it would work out soon for me. But it didn't. I was coming at the problem aggressively, but she encouraged me that this approach wasn't necessary. Because of this I kind of felt like a number. Most of their patients go on to get pregnant. And I eventually did, but it was difficult and the endometriosis had time to do a lot of damage.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrea Reh at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Reh was nice enough. I didn't feel like a number but at the same time, I didn't feel too special.
Andrea Reh