Nutrition counseling is not offered

Fairfax, VA 22033
Washington DC
1145 19th Street NW Suite
Washington, DC 20036

[Dr. Susan Sarajari] She communicates well. Calls you directly with any updates or news on your cycle. She listens very well and answers questions clearly. I’m not sure how much experience with older patients she has, but she is willing to try and give you a fair chance before pushing donor eggs...Only allows single transfer in older patients. Not sure about younger patients.
[Dominion Fertility] They now use a portal to send you updates and communicate through. I had come confusion understanding my protocol calendar and they were helpful sitting down and walking me through it...[nurses] They both chat with you answer questions quickly and seem to like their job...First come first serve early morning hours [for monitoring appointments]
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Come prepared with IVF knowledge and questions. You won’t get a lesson in IVF or its procedures at your visit. Read up on it before you go.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Sarajari is willing to sit and talk to you and listen. She is willing to try different options and is very to the point. The office staff is friendly and well run.
Describe the protocols Susan Sarajari used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
44 DOR and age is a factor. First round I was put on lupron for 10 days, then 300 menopur and 300 gonol f (highest does) very slow response. At retrieval no luck 1 follicle empty and 2nd ovary couldn’t be reached due to enlarged uterus. I need a hysteroscopy. 2nd round primes with estrogen and did 300 of menopur and 300 gonal no response at all. Estrogen shut me down. Cycle canceled.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Holli)
The whole nursing team is great. Holli has been wonderful and I have become fond of Nicole. They both chat with you answer questions quickly and seem to like their job.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Very clean, organized and well run. They now use a portal to send you updates and communicate through. I had come confusion understanding my protocol calendar and they were helpful sitting down and walking me through it.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Dominion Fertility.
First come first serve early morning hours
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility.
Unsure I have insurance and it covers a lot
Describe Susan Sarajari's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
Only allows single transfer in older patients. Not sure about younger patients.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dominion Fertility.
Need a hysteroscopy to see if I can carry a child and get a period again to know what cycle day I’m on. I’ve done 2 rounds and just got the referral
Susan Sarajari
Bethesda

If you're the kind of patient who wants your hand held and wants to understand in detail every step of this process, he [Dr. Dimattina] may not be your guy...We only got 1 PGT-A normal embryo in the first cycle, so we did another one...Despite repeated attempts, Dr. D. consistently refused to answer questions specific to my case. When I would ask, he would either resort to flattering platitudes or tout his own expertise, but he would not give me details when I was trying to better understand my own treatment.
I love the clinic [Dominion Fertility] as a whole. It's very convenient, clean, easy to schedule appointments, and organized. I feel very well taken care of by all of the staff...All of the nurses I have dealt with have been very competent and compassionate. There is only one nurse who is not very good at drawing blood, and I wince every time it's her turn because she has trouble doing it and it's very painful...During my first cycle, I was told three different numbers at various points regarding how many of my eggs were mature.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
I fully trust Dr. D's medical expertise - that is why we stayed with him when we had to do a second cycle. However, I found it incredibly frustrating that when I would ask specific questions about my case, like why do you think our results were below expectations, or why are you choosing the same medical protocol when it didn't work that well before, or how many follicles do you see (during a monitoring appointment), he would never give me specific answers and often seemed to take offense that I was asking questions at all, like I was questioning his ability or something.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
If you're the kind of patient who wants your hand held and wants to understand in detail every step of this process, he may not be your guy.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Describe the protocols Michael DiMattina used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
I used an antagonist protocol with estrace starting on Day 19 before the IVF cycle, then 150 of Follistim and 150 of Menopur nightly until starting Ganirelex around mid-cycle. We only got 1 PGT-A normal embryo in the first cycle, so we did another one.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I love the clinic as a whole. It's very convenient, clean, easy to schedule appointments, and organized. I feel very well taken care of by all of the staff. I felt less like a fertility factory than Shady Grove.
Pretty efficiently run. I was usually in and out between 30-45 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility.
I chose a package that included up to two retrievals (embryo banking) and up to two transfers as needed until a live birth. The total cost was around $28,000, which included the retrievals, all monitoring, ICSI, assisted hatching if needed. That cost did not include IVF meds ($5-9k), anesthesia for egg retrieval ($500), PGT-A testing ($150/embryo).

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
His [Dr. Michael DiMattina] bedside manner is very blunt, and he seemed personally offended by any questions I had about the process, like he expected me to have blind faith since he was the expert. I understand that he is, but strongly feel given the nature of this science, patients will have questions and it’s only professional to answer them willingly. I am by no means a pushy person, but he made me feel I was by rolling his eyes when I’d ask questions or sarcastically saying things like, “someone’s been doing research.” He told us many times that he’d “get me pregnant” and when that didn’t happen, he just kept repeating that most people do; he seemed more frustrated than compassionate and didn’t have much to offer in terms of how we might do things differently.
I like the clinic [Dominion Fertility] a lot. It’s a nice facility that is easy to get to with ample parking. The financial counselor is clear and upfront about costs, and she has been very helpful with communicating with the insurance company on my behalf. I have never had a billing issue. Appointments run on schedule. My calls and emails are always returned that day, and the nursing staff and IVF coordinators are wonderful people. The clinic does have fairly rigid rules about only doing frozen transfers and they almost mandate PGS testing. This may not work for all patients.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
His bedside manner is very blunt, and he seemed personally offended by any questions I had about the process, like he expected me to have blind faith since he was the expert. I understand that he is, but strongly feel given the nature of this science, patients will have questions and it’s only professional to answer them willingly. I am by no means a pushy person, but he made me feel I was by rolling his eyes when I’d ask questions or sarcastically saying things like, “someone’s been doing research.” He told us many times that he’d “get me pregnant” and when that didn’t happen, he just kept repeating that most people do; he seemed more frustrated than compassionate and didn’t have much to offer in terms of how we might do things differently.
I would say have a very thick skin and be prepared to advocate for yourself.
He personally called to give me the news after both transfers, which I appreciated. His manner is brusque, and he said to me many times that he would have expected me to be pregnant by now as most of their patients are within two transfers. He seemed frustrated that I fell outside what works for the rest of the practice, but he didn’t offer many suggestions of things to do differently for me next time.
I was on the antagonist protocol for both IVF cycles. I do not know the rationale for this, but it seems to be a common protocol. I ended up with one genetically normal embryo from each retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jen Machovina)
The nursing staff is compassionate, organized, friendly, and helpful. I loved all of them.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I like the clinic a lot. It’s a nice facility that is easy to get to with ample parking. The financial counselor is clear and upfront about costs, and she has been very helpful with communicating with the insurance company on my behalf. I have never had a billing issue. Appointments run on schedule. My calls and emails are always returned that day, and the nursing staff and IVF coordinators are wonderful people. The clinic does have fairly rigid rules about only doing frozen transfers and they almost mandate PGS testing. This may not work for all patients.
Most monitoring appointments were fairly quick, and I was able to get to work on time afterwards. On weekends they took longer because only one of their three clinics is open on weekends and it wold be more crowded because of that. Still though, it wasn’t bad.
I was lucky enough to have insurance coverage at 60% with a $2500 out of pocket max.This means I paid that plus fees to have embryos genetically tested and stored.
Describe Michael DiMattina's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
My doctor would only transfer one genetically tested embryo at a time, which I was comfortable with.
Arlington

Dr. Waud is very on top of recent research...One thing I most appreciated about her is she gave me her phone number, and I could text and speak with her directly and immediately about any concerns...I think Dr. Waud would agree that our case turned out to be more complicated than it appeared, resulting in a misdiagnosis which ultimately led us to change clinics...She also teaches at a med school, and she has very clear views on the science of reproductive challenges, which she communicates very clearly.
[The nurses at Dominion Fertility were] All great, sweet women. I had a missed miscarriage which showed itself in a monitoring ultrasound, and in retrospect I could not have been surrounded by nicer people...When we were transferring to the next clinic, we requested our medical records. A crucial report showing the karyotype of our miscarriage was left out of this paperwork, and it took a lot of back and forth and non-responsiveness to resolve.
How was your experience with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Waud is very on top of recent research. She also teaches at a med school, and she has very clear views on the science of reproductive challenges, which she communicates very clearly. One thing I most appreciated about her is she gave me her phone number, and I could text and speak with her directly and immediately about any concerns. I have seen two other doctors since then, neither of whom provided that. Unforunately, science does not always match what happens in human existence, and I think Dr. Waud would agree that our case turned out to be more complicated than it appeared, resulting in a misdiagnosis which ultimately led us to change clinics.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Ask her to go over all details of your case with a fine tooth comb, examining all contingencies, and not necessarily deciding that the simple answer is the best answer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Waud is definitely empathetic. We’ve been through several losses, which was not something she was dismissive of. We experienced one loss and one hysteroscopy under her care, and her bedside manner at surgery was the mix of humane and confident that I want in those stressful situations.
Describe the protocols Kay Waud used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
We arrived at Dr. Waud’s office having already lost one single and one twin naturally conceived pregnancy. Dr. Waud thought there was a good independent explanation for each, but nonetheless order some other diagnostic testing. She thought none looked indicative of an inability conceive and carry, so we were sent on our way to try on our own. While we did conceive again relatively quickly, this too resulted in another karyotypically normal loss. To Dr. Waud’s credit, she seemed as sad and stumped by this as we were.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The waiting room is beautiful, as are all the facilities. The billing folks are not super clear, but having encountered others at other clinics, that seems to be par for the course. I saw Dr. Waud for every step - consultations, diagnostic testing, and, unfortunately, D&C and follow-up hysteroscopy procédures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility.
Our costs ended up being all diagnostic or pregnancy related, and therefore we had pretty good insurance coverage.
Describe Kay Waud's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
Kay Waud
Arlington

Dr. Gordon was very warm and understanding during the process, but provided us with a frank assessment of our situation and potential courses of action.... Dr. Gordon is an excellent fit who will show empathy to those who need it. Our process was particularly difficult because my partner and I had experienced a stillbirth following difficulties becoming pregnant. Dr. Gordon did not shy away from referencing our history and showed sympathy for our situation in addition to factoring it into our treatment.
The clinic [Dominion Fertility] is very clean and well-organized. The staff is very professional and they have a nice large waiting room. It is a comfortable place to receive treatment. They have available clinic hours for weekend visits to obtain certain treatments or tests. The place seems well-run and we have never had to wait too long to be seen. Sometimes there has been no wait at all. Scheduling appointments has been easy and hassle-free.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Gordon has been very helpful and understanding for us throughout the process, and I have trusted the medical advice he has provided and the course of treatments he has recommended. He has been supportive and has given us good advice that enabled us to make an informed decision in deciding whether to continue with IUI treatments or to move on to more aggressive treatment measures, such as IVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Describe the protocols John David Gordon used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Gordon recommended a 3 month course of IUI given that we had solid and healthy fertility factors for our age (I'm 38 and my partner is 37). After that was not successful, he allowed us to make an informed decision as to whether to pursue more aggressive (and more expensive options). I appreciate that I did not feel any pressure from him to pursue the more aggressive option. He presented the options and let us make the decision.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Dominion Fertility.
The nursing staff was very prepared and professional at all times. They were helpful in answering questions they were able to answer, and telling us which questions should be directed to the doctor.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The clinic is very clean and well-organized. The staff is very professional and they have a nice large waiting room. It is a comfortable place to receive treatment. They have available clinic hours for weekend visits to obtain certain treatments or tests. The place seems well-run and we have never had to wait too long to be seen. Sometimes there has been no wait at all. Scheduling appointments has been easy and hassle-free.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility.
It was a few hundred dollars for our first few rounds of IUI. We are considering options for IVF that range from about $16,000 to $26,000.

2014 - 2015, Successful
He [Dr. DiMattina] was always available by phone or message. After every disappointing result, he'd ask us in for follow up personal visit with a hug and a smile. When we did conceive, Dr. D (as he's called), called the little dot on the sonogram our "baby". Every other doctor called that the "embryo."...His approach is one of minimal drugs and truly adhering to nature – only transferring the number of embryos naturally conceived without any drugs. The doctor's job is to simply monitor your natural cycle. If and when it does not work out, the solution is always to try again the next month...
Monitoring [at Doninion - Arlington] is by default a disorganized event. Some days there are very few women in the waiting room and other days it is packed with a line out the door. Typically at this clinic, they see you quickly. However, they separate the blood draw from the sonogram and you are forced back into the waiting room a second time in between the two. It is an aggravating experience where you wish they would just combine it all into one visit...
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. D was a warm and caring Doctor. After the third or fourth cycle failed, however, the answer was always the same: come in for a chat. But talking was not going to ever change the outcome of our failed fertility cycles. By the time it was over, I wanted to only see Dr. Gordon. He was younger, fresher and seemingly more up to date on the latest medical studies
Use all the doctors at Dominion. If you're going the natural cycle route, that's what they will do anyway because no doctor can be in seven days a week. Read up on Dr. Gordon and his publications online before selecting a doctor at Dominion
He was always available by phone or message. After every disappointing result, he'd ask us in for follow up personal visit with a hug and a smile. When we did conceive, Dr. D (as he's called), called the little dot on the sonogram our "baby". Every other doctor called that the "embryo."
Dominion fertility is a "natural cycle" IVF clinic pioneer in the field. Dr. D led this revolution on the East Coast after studying in Europe for sometime. His approach is one of minimal drugs and truly adhering to nature – only transferring the number of embryos naturally conceived without any drugs. The doctor's job is to simply monitor your natural cycle. If and when it does not work out, the solution is always to try again the next month. That is very much in line with nature and God's creation. However, it all falls apart after the sixth cycle failure and $40,000 gone... However, most women will probably conceived with Dr. D in 1, 2 or maximum 3 cycles ... so this is not an issue
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Dominion Fertility.
Nurses were amazing - like family. They felt your highs and lows with you. Called at all hours and were available to you the same. Each morning was a ray of sunshine with the nurses even though you'd just seen them and were stressed in general about IVF
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I choose Dr. D Matina because he was the longes running partner at the clinic and natural cycle IVF pioneer in the US. However, in hindsight I would have done some more homework and selected Dr. Gordon as my primary endochronologist for a variety of reasons
Monitoring is by default a disorganized event. Some days there are very few women in the waiting room and other days it is packed with a line out the door. Typically at this clinic, they see you quickly. However, they separate the blood draw from the sonogram and you are forced back into the waiting room a second time in between the two. It is an aggravating experience where you wish they would just combine it all into one visit
The cost quoted is not exactly the same as the cost billed per natural cycle IVF. There are additional hidden fees that are not self evident as part of the process, so the monthly bill is roughly $1,000 to $2,000 higher than what is quoted to you for a natural cycle. Heads up!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dominion Fertility.
I went through a half dozen natural cycle IVF procedures at this clinic. For my first one, I was under heavy narcotics. Near the end, I was a more informed patient and was only under light sedation. I should've never been under such heavy drugs for such a simple procedure in the beginning. I wish I had known more upfront about what to ask for and my own personal limits Also, at this same clinic I repeatedly failed to conceive via natural cycle IVF. At no point did we ever consider changing course even though the cost was $7000 per month
Arlington

Dr. Gordon always cared about me and answered every question I have with a lot of patience....Dr. Gordon seems to be a good professional and a very nice person. He is patient and willing to help you throughout the entire process. I was lucky that my egg retrievals were during the week so he was able to do them. If the egg retrievals had been during a weekend when he was not working, another doctor would have done them. I don't like that. Fortunately, I was lucky.
The clinic [Dominion] is well organized and everybody is very polite. The team of nurses are very skilled and nice. Everybody seems ready to help you and answer your questions. It is not difficult to get an appointment with your doctor; however, doctors don't provide you their emails. If you have questions, you have to contact the nurses. When you call the nurses, you always have to leave a message and then they will call you back. I would prefer that they pick up the calls. I used to get nervous that I would miss their calls and then I would have to leave another message and wait for their call again.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Get informed about the process and ask as many questions as you can.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility.
The nurse always answered my emails the same day. It was more difficult to reach on the phone.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The clinic is well organized and everybody is very polite. The team of nurses are very skilled and nice. Everybody seems ready to help you and answer your questions. It is not difficult to get an appointment with your doctor; however, doctors don't provide you their emails. If you have questions, you have to contact the nurses. When you call the nurses, you always have to leave a message and then they will call you back. I would prefer that they pick up the calls. I used to get nervous that I would miss their calls and then I would have to leave another message and wait for their call again.
The monitoring is "first come, first served". The monitoring hours start early and end at 9AM. I think the time frame is very convenient.
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr Sarajari was very caring and was available by phone and email when I needed...was very compassionate and did take a vested interest in my care. We just had too many setbacks. It would have helped if they spent more time trying to see why things were not working vs just continuing to try...We did natural cycle IVF which worked well for me vs simulated IVF. However, no pregnancy resulted. Also we did donor eggs but all the transfer failed.
Monitoring at this location [Dominion Fertility - Bethesda] was very convenient as it was not that busy...Costs at Dominion were reasonable compared to other clinics... The weakness here was that when things were not working they did not spend time trying to figure out why as much as they should have. We might have saved some failed transfers then...Natalie [nurse] was great and walked me through the process every time. She was also really good about keeping in touch via emails.
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Dr Sarajari was very compassionate and did take a vested interest in my care. We just had too many setbacks. It would have helped if they spent more time trying to see why things were not working vs just continuing to try
If treatment is not working, just spend time analyzing why vs continuing to try
Dr Sarajari was very caring and was available by phone and email when I needed. That is not the case with most doctors. The clinic did have a vested interest in me but for us things just did not work out
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie Sofia)
Natalie was great and walked me through the process every time. She was also really good about keeping in touch via emails.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Dominion is less of a factory and more compassionate (vs like Shady Grove). I did really enjoy being their patient. I just wish we had better luck. The weakness here was that when things were not working they did not spend time trying to figure out why as much as they should have. We might have saved some failed transfers then.
Monitoring at this location was very convenient as it was not that busy.
Costs at Dominion were reasonable compared to other clinics
Susan Sarajari

2018 - 2019, Consult
The nurses [at Dominion Fertility] were super friendly and worked to make sure we understood every next step...A lot of the testing is done off site and there are a lot of steps. There’s a lot of information to remember and they give you a packet, but more follow ups would be helpful...Dr. Gordon seemed really busy and we felt ever so slightly rushed through our first appointment but only because we had so many questions. I didn’t like that he seemed to have a “default method” that would have required useless sperm testing for my husband (confirmed by a second opinion from a urologist)...Ask all your questions while you have him in the room!...listened to our challenges and unique scenario as I am fertile but the issues lie with my husband.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Ask all your questions while you have him in the room!
Dr. Gordon listened to our challenges and unique scenario as I am fertile but the issues lie with my husband.
TBD- haven’t begun full cycle
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Dominion Fertility.
The nurses were super friendly and worked to make sure we understood every next step
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Expensive and not covered by United health care insurance. A lot of the testing is done off site and there are a lot of steps. There’s a lot of information to remember and they give you a packet, but more follow ups would be helpful.
Still under treatment. Diagnostic tests alone were a couple hundred dollars I think
Describe John David Gordon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
Na