Nutrition counseling is not offered

Washington DC
1145 19th Street NW Suite
Washington, DC 20036

2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
Dr. Reh [of Dominion Fertility] was nice enough. I didn't feel like a number but at the same time, I didn't feel too special....I saw Dr. Reh during the very beginning of my infertility journey. I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Later, after I had moved out of state and gotten a new clinic, we found out that I have endometriosis. I guess Dr. Reh couldn't have know that I had it at the time, because it's somewhat difficult to diagnose, but I can't help but think that maybe she could have caught it early before it did too much damage.
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Dominion Fertility?
I saw Dr. Reh during the very beginning of my infertility journey. I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Later, after I had moved out of state and gotten a new clinic, we found out that I have endometriosis. I guess Dr. Reh couldn't have know that I had it at the time, because it's somewhat difficult to diagnose, but I can't help but think that maybe she could have caught it early before it did too much damage. Dr. Reh constantly reminded me how young I was (around 31 at the time) and that I had plenty of time. I guess she thought it would work out soon for me. But it didn't. I was coming at the problem aggressively, but she encouraged me that this approach wasn't necessary. Because of this I kind of felt like a number. Most of their patients go on to get pregnant. And I eventually did, but it was difficult and the endometriosis had time to do a lot of damage.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrea Reh at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Reh was nice enough. I didn't feel like a number but at the same time, I didn't feel too special.
Andrea Reh
2014 - 2015, Successful
We had done two failed cycles at another clinic and I had 3 miscarriages so Dr. D [Dr. Michael DiMattina] suggested IVF with PGS...He is very direct and explains things like a scientist...The staff at Dominion Fertility always knew my name and situation at every monitoring appt.
All the nurses I dealt with were kind and knowledgeable...It was busy on weekends, but they [Dominion Fertility] open at 0630 during the week and I was able to get in and to work on time...The billing staff was very helpful with my insurance which luckily covered most of my treatment...They are true to their slogan, they provide personalized care. The only negative is the parking, it's hard to find a spot.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
He is very direct and explains things like a scientist.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Write down your questions so you don't forget them during a consult.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Describe the protocols Michael DiMattina used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
We had done two failed cycles at another clinic and I had 3 miscarriages so Dr. D suggested IVF with PGS.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Dominion Fertility.
All the nurses I dealt with were kind and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Dominion Fertility.
It was busy on weekends, but they open at 0630 during the week and I was able to get in and to work on time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility.
Arlington
Dr. DiMattina was very competent and confident - it's what attracted us to him during our initial consult. He's been doing this a very long time and has had great success. ... On multiple occasions I felt he didn't take the time to listen to me (one time I had a list of questions prepared because I was afraid he would dismiss me - and he was in such a rush he told me to ask them while he was giving me a vaginal ultrasound.
Dominion is a very large clinic with so many patients that we rarely saw the same nurse/clinical staff. ... Seeing so many different people it was hard to build a rapport/trust with any of them. I also feel like they didn't read my file and some were oblivious when interacting with me. ... They didn't have a good system that ensured my emails/calls were answered in a timely manner.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. DiMattina was very competent and confident - it's what attracted us to him during our initial consult. He's been doing this a very long time and has had great success. He assured us he could help us have a healthy baby. What followed lead us to leave this practice and start treatment at another clinic. On multiple occasions I felt he didn't take the time to listen to me (one time I had a list of questions prepared because I was afraid he would dismiss me - and he was in such a rush he told me to ask them while he was giving me a vaginal ultrasound. He was in the room for less than 2 minutes, didn't fully answer my questions and then ran out. I balled for about 10 minutes in the room before emerging. To his credit, when I confronted the nurse and said my questions hadn't been sufficiently answered, he called me that afternoon to discuss. I felt like he had a protocol that he would use for each patient and wasn't willing to consider that bodies and people are different. I didn't have the confidence that I would receive the individualized care needed to move on to IVF.
I would say that you need to advocate for yourself and be prepared to let him know when you're unhappy.
Dominion is a very large clinic with so many patients that we rarely saw the same nurse/clinical staff. Depending on the day, I wouldn't necessarily see Dr. Dimattina either. Seeing so many different people it was hard to build a rapport/trust with any of them. I also feel like they didn't read my file and some were oblivious when interacting with me.
We had to do 6 cycles of IUI per our insurance requirement (not a recommended strategy for me since I have DOR). We did 3 cycles of ovarian stimulation (letrozole) and IUI and then 3 cycles of ovarian stim (letrozole) with timed intercourse. The 6th and final cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Dominion Fertility.
Communication was not a strong point for the nursing staff. I often felt unsure if I was supposed to email or call the office. They didn't have a good system that ensured my emails/calls were answered in a timely manner. I had to chase them down repeatedly. They were pleasant enough but a few times I received insensitive phone calls with misinformation because they didn't take the time to read my file. They also struggled to draw blood (and I would leave with 3-4 sticks sometimes... )
Michael DiMattina
He [Dr. Michael Dimattina] would ask how we were and to call if we had any questions for him. but when we asked during monitoring he did would sometimes deflect or only answer when it was convenient for him. He was always ready to move onto next patient...My partner had many more questions later on and when ha asked, the Dr seemd to get defensive about it...I was hoping he would be a little more compassionate. But everything was business and he had to keep it running. He was always rushing off to the next patient.
He [Dr. Michael Dimattina] would ask how we were and to call if we had any questions for him. but when we asked during monitoring [at Dominion Fertility] he did would sometimes deflect or only answer when it was convenient for him. He was always ready to move onto next patient...My partner had many more questions later on and when ha asked, the Dr seemd to get defensive about it...I was hoping he would be a little more compassionate. But everything was business and he had to keep it running. He was always rushing off to the next patient.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Dr Dimatinna was quick to diagnose my partner and suggested ivf immediately. Our consultation moved faster than I would like but he answered all our initial questions. My partner had many more questions later on and when ha asked, the Dr seemd to get defensive about it. So my partner and I decided he should have less contact just so it wouldn't upset me. I was the so called mediator asking questions for my husband and when the Dr started to brush off my questions I got very emotional. I felt like I needed to know more but he couldn't be bothered to answer them. I was already on all the meds and preparing for a transfer. I was hoping he would be a little more compassionate. But everything was business and he had to keep it running. He was always rushing off to the next patient. In the end the transfer was successful and test was positive. When I saw the baby on the screen I was happy but I think he expected me to show more emotion. He seemed disappointed. He then handed me a folder and said if I was happy with my experience, they would appreciate if I give them a glowing review. I liked him in the beginning at the consultation but then felt like he was always in a hurry later.
He has his system in place and it works for him. He doesn't like to have it slow down by spending more time to answer questions. if you need someone to be more personable, maybe choose another doctor.
He would ask how we were and to call if we had any questions for him. but when we asked during monitoring he did would sometimes deflect or only answer when it was convenient for him. He was always ready to move onto next patient.
Michael DiMattina

[Dr. Susan Sarajari] She communicates well. Calls you directly with any updates or news on your cycle. She listens very well and answers questions clearly. I’m not sure how much experience with older patients she has, but she is willing to try and give you a fair chance before pushing donor eggs...Only allows single transfer in older patients. Not sure about younger patients.
[Dominion Fertility] They now use a portal to send you updates and communicate through. I had come confusion understanding my protocol calendar and they were helpful sitting down and walking me through it...[nurses] They both chat with you answer questions quickly and seem to like their job...First come first serve early morning hours [for monitoring appointments]
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Come prepared with IVF knowledge and questions. You won’t get a lesson in IVF or its procedures at your visit. Read up on it before you go.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Sarajari is willing to sit and talk to you and listen. She is willing to try different options and is very to the point. The office staff is friendly and well run.
Describe the protocols Susan Sarajari used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
44 DOR and age is a factor. First round I was put on lupron for 10 days, then 300 menopur and 300 gonol f (highest does) very slow response. At retrieval no luck 1 follicle empty and 2nd ovary couldn’t be reached due to enlarged uterus. I need a hysteroscopy. 2nd round primes with estrogen and did 300 of menopur and 300 gonal no response at all. Estrogen shut me down. Cycle canceled.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Holli)
The whole nursing team is great. Holli has been wonderful and I have become fond of Nicole. They both chat with you answer questions quickly and seem to like their job.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Very clean, organized and well run. They now use a portal to send you updates and communicate through. I had come confusion understanding my protocol calendar and they were helpful sitting down and walking me through it.
First come first serve early morning hours
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility.
Unsure I have insurance and it covers a lot
Describe Susan Sarajari's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
Only allows single transfer in older patients. Not sure about younger patients.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dominion Fertility.
Need a hysteroscopy to see if I can carry a child and get a period again to know what cycle day I’m on. I’ve done 2 rounds and just got the referral
Bethesda

Every question was always answered [by Dr. Sarajari]. She provided very detailed explanations of every process. I met with her at every visit. She examined me at every visit. She did not hesitate in recommending we move on to IVF given our diagnoses. She did not waste our time or money with interventions that were not likely to work...Our plan is to do an egg retrieval and freeze for future use with frozen embryo transfer.
There are three facilities in the area [for Dominion Fertility] and only the Arlington office is available for weekend and holiday monitoring. Arlington starts at 6:30 during the week and the other two offices start at 7. You will have to pay for parking at the Bethesda office. Strengths: they get you in and out in a timely manner. Weaknesses: appointment options can be limited if you need an early appointment.
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Every question was always answered. She provided very detailed explanations of every process. I met with her at every visit. She examined me at every visit. She did not hesitate in recommending we move on to IVF given our diagnoses. She did not waste our time or money with interventions that were not likely to work.
Bring questions that you have and write them down before appointments.
Dr. Sarajari is the only doctor to see me at this practice. She is thorough and provides information regarding every step of the process.
I am just starting my first IVF cycle with Dr. Sarajari. Our plan is to do an egg retrieval and freeze for future use with frozen embryo transfer. I will have a couple of weeks on birth control pills to get my body back to baseline before starting the medications needed to do the transfer. She supported my and my husband’s decision to have him freeze sperm prior to starting secondary to him having extremely low normal morphology. We wanted to make sure there some good ones available prior to my surgery.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Holli Simon)
Our care coordinator is excellent. She is always available by email or phone. She updates us on test results promptly. She is empathetic to our needs and concerns.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
There are three facilities in the area and only the Arlington office is available for weekend and holiday monitoring. Arlington starts at 6:30 during the week and the other two offices start at 7. You will have to pay for parking at the Bethesda office. Strengths: they get you in and out in a timely manner. Weaknesses: appointment options can be limited if you need an early appointment.
$10,000. This included out of pocket max that remained for the year, as well as a few items that were not covered by insurance.
For our age we will be doing a single embryo transfer. I am 31, so I support this plan.
Bethesda

There are times the doctors travel between their multiple offices, and you may have to wait a few minutes, but she [Dr. Sarajari] is worth the wait... was the first doctor to explain things to me in a way that felt not only healing, but manageable. She was an answer to many worries and frustrations...makes us feel heard and valued. When she discovered my uterine fibroids or polyps (still waiting for the surgery/results), it was a busy day and I know she had other places to be, but she sat with me and my husband and very empathetically answered all of our questions and calmed our concerns. I'm sure the same will continue as we move on to our next steps.
any blood draws, monitoring, or discussions with the nurses [at Dominion Fertility- Bethesda] has been so wonderful. I really enjoy each of them. All of them have been compassionate, and eager to help in anyway...We are hoping to do the guaranteed program which is about 26k, includes many things, but medications and such are outside of this cost... Overall, we are very satisfied and feel like we are in good hands.
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Sarajari has been extremely beneficial to me and my husband. We are still waiting to start IVF, but trust we are in good/capable hands. I was frustrated and bummed and honestly scared about so many things before our first consult, but when you walk into the office there is a sign that says, "the only thing strong than fear is hope," and from the first handshake with Dr. Sarajari her hope was contagious. Dr. Sarajari is a compassionate expert who makes us feel heard and valued. When she discovered my uterine fibroids or polyps (still waiting for the surgery/results), it was a busy day and I know she had other places to be, but she sat with me and my husband and very empathetically answered all of our questions and calmed our concerns. I'm sure the same will continue as we move on to our next steps.
Be patient. There are times the doctors travel between their multiple offices, and you may have to wait a few minutes, but she is worth the wait.
Dr. Sarajari was the first doctor to explain things to me in a way that felt not only healing, but manageable. She was an answer to many worries and frustrations.
We are at the very beginning phases and waiting for all of this info for our particular case.
So far it everything for our situation is in the initial stages, but any blood draws, monitoring, or discussions with the nurses has been so wonderful. I really enjoy each of them. All of them have been compassionate, and eager to help in anyway.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The doctors and nurses I have worked with are wonderful. They each take time to make you feel at ease, and cared for. The office staff is also wonderful and organized. If I need to be constructive and provide an area for growth/weakness...we did had a few issues with the billing department. In my opinion, they were very minor and nothing that would make us choose another practice. Overall, we are very satisfied and feel like we are in good hands.
I believe this clinic prefers eSET, but I am new to the process.
Bethesda

Dr. Sarajari did not want to perform IVF until I was in better health physically...We opted for natural cycle IVF since my menses are regular...was very pleasant with us but also blunt and straight to the point. She listened to my concerns to help us make educated decisions. Once pregnant, she allowed me to stay in here care a little longer while I continued my search for an OB/GYN. Dr. Sarajari’s bedside manner is professional and warm.
Weakness [at Dominion Fertility]: very busy so you may not always be with your doctor as long as you'd like. May wait a few minutes longer than expected. Strengths: organized, friendly staff and nurses. Overall I'd refer others to DF and I actually have in the last three years since giving birth...She [nurse] was always pleasant and professional. Other nurses I've met briefly or spoken to on the phone were also pleasant and professional...
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
I honestly cannot think of any weaknesses displayed by Dr. Sarajari. Her facility is very busy and did a great job of not rushing through our appointments. Most Dr’s are not very compassionate and that's understandable because they must remain objective. Dr. Sarajari is pleasant and east to converse with.
Come prepared with questions and concerns.
Dr. Sarajari was very pleasant with us but also blunt and straight to the point. She listened to my concerns to help us make educated decisions. Once pregnant, she allowed me to stay in here care a little longer while I continued my search for an OB/GYN. Dr. Sarajari’s bedside manner is professional and warm.
When my blood tests revealed that I was hypothyroid, she had me retest to be sure. I was then put on a three month plan to treat the disease. We were not able to move forward until the three months and I has more bloodwork completed. My sonogram showed growths within my uterus so she referred me to have a hysteroscopy performed. Once both issues we're treated, we moved forward with natural-cycle IVF. Dr. Sarajari did not want to perform IVF until I was in better health physically
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility.
She was always pleasant and professional. Other nurses I've met briefly or spoken to on the phone were also pleasant and professional.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Weakness: very busy so you may not always be with your doctor as long as you'd like. May wait a few minutes longer than expected. Strengths: organized, friendly staff and nurses. Overall I'd refer others to DF and I actually have in the last three years since giving birth.
We spent approximately $13,000
We opted for natural cycle IVF since my menses are regular. NCIVF uses less or no hormonal medications. Decreases the chance of multiple births. One egg is retrieved for fertilization.
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr Sarajari was very caring and was available by phone and email when I needed...was very compassionate and did take a vested interest in my care. We just had too many setbacks. It would have helped if they spent more time trying to see why things were not working vs just continuing to try...We did natural cycle IVF which worked well for me vs simulated IVF. However, no pregnancy resulted. Also we did donor eggs but all the transfer failed.
Monitoring at this location [Dominion Fertility - Bethesda] was very convenient as it was not that busy...Costs at Dominion were reasonable compared to other clinics... The weakness here was that when things were not working they did not spend time trying to figure out why as much as they should have. We might have saved some failed transfers then...Natalie [nurse] was great and walked me through the process every time. She was also really good about keeping in touch via emails.
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Dr Sarajari was very compassionate and did take a vested interest in my care. We just had too many setbacks. It would have helped if they spent more time trying to see why things were not working vs just continuing to try
If treatment is not working, just spend time analyzing why vs continuing to try
Dr Sarajari was very caring and was available by phone and email when I needed. That is not the case with most doctors. The clinic did have a vested interest in me but for us things just did not work out
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie Sofia)
Natalie was great and walked me through the process every time. She was also really good about keeping in touch via emails.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Dominion is less of a factory and more compassionate (vs like Shady Grove). I did really enjoy being their patient. I just wish we had better luck. The weakness here was that when things were not working they did not spend time trying to figure out why as much as they should have. We might have saved some failed transfers then.
Monitoring at this location was very convenient as it was not that busy.
Costs at Dominion were reasonable compared to other clinics
Bethesda
He's [Dr. DiMattina]older so he is very blunt and direct, but I think it's because he knows what he's doing. He prefers to do his own monitoring and procedures, but I saw the other doctors as well. He is the medical director and it's clear the others look to him for guidance...Be prepared to do more listening than asking questions....Dr D is very blunt, and sometimes arrogant, but he knows what he's doing...They only transfer one embryo.
They [Dominion are well run, but we did have to travel some distance to Bethesda and then you have to go to Arlington for procedures. It was worth the travel, and they were flexible about monitoring time due to traffic....We did have to wait on the weekend in Arlington, but the Bethesda office was very efficient....All the nurses we interacted with were good, as well as the whole staff....They only transfer one embryo.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
He's older so he is very blunt and direct, but I think it's because he knows what he's doing. He prefers to do his own monitoring and procedures, but I saw the other doctors as well. He is the medical director and it's clear the others look to him for guidance.
Be prepared to do more listening than asking questions.
Dr D is very blunt, and sometimes arrogant, but he knows what he's doing.
Stop Lupron protocol with max drugs starting on day 2, retrieval was day 11.
All the nurses we interacted with were good, as well as the whole staff.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
They are well run, but we did have to travel some distance to Bethesda and then you have to go to Arlington for procedures. It was worth the travel, and they were flexible about monitoring time due to traffic.
We did financial guarantee plan for 24k plus the cost of medications.
Describe Michael DiMattina's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
They only transfer one embryo.
2021, Successful
Dr. Kay was wonderful. Straightforward but with a warm bedside manner. I never felt like a statistic, but a human...I can't recommend Dr. Kay enough. She was wonderful, innovative, and kind. I went through one round of IVF and one transfer with her which resulted in pregnancy. I'll be going back to her for sure. 10/10 on all fronts...
I can't say enough about the entire nursing staff of Dominion - Bethesda. I mostly saw Jana (angel) and Holli was my IVF coordinator. They were compassionate, prompt, caring...I had a very straightforward and relatively seamless administrative experience -- the one snafu was not their fault but with our insurance, and Guriet was wonderful in helping us untangle it. They are prompt, responsive, and kind. I felt like I was in very good hands from my first visit to my "graduation."
How was your experience with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jana and Holli)
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility.
Our insurance covered most of it.
Kay Waud

2022, Unknown Success
I felt totally rushed through the entire consultation and I felt like he [Dr. DiMattina] was trying to sell me something...His oversimplification of the process, side effects and overall decision to consider egg freezing was off putting. He treated it like I was buying a new car rather than exploring an emotional, somewhat scary and financially burdensome procedure...The way he kept simplifying the process was so impersonal given that it's a huge decision for most women
The staff [at Dominion Fertility] has been friendly but there have been mistakes/miscommunications. Communication has been a struggle due to the use of a patient portal vs. actual phone calls. I'm unclear as to when I should be using the portal vs. calling the office (it seems the portal is preferable). I've also had the office book appointments on the wrong day...I felt totally rushed through the entire consultation and I felt like he [Dr. DiMattina] was trying to sell me something.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
His oversimplification of the process, side effects and overall decision to consider egg freezing was off putting. He treated it like I was buying a new car rather than exploring an emotional, somewhat scary and financially burdensome procedure (on my own). I felt rushed through my questions and did not feel I got an honest answer with regards to potential side effects of the treatment medications.
Unfortunately it would be to consider another doctor. I think he is missing the human connection element (or maybe he just had a bad day). Bedside manner, particularly when your are treating women for fertility is immensely important. The lack of understanding that many of his patients are traversing through an incredibly emotional (sometimes painful), and expensive process was very disappointing.
I felt totally rushed through the entire consultation and I felt like he was trying to sell me something. Without even learning about me he kept saying that "i was making the right decision" and kept repeating how easy this was going to be. It felt so phony. He also told me that his patients experience almost no side effects to the medications required for egg freezing - which based on my research isn't true. The way he kept simplifying the process was so impersonal given that it's a huge decision for most women (me included).
I saw him for the initial consultation and the vaginal ultrasound. He ordered some additional lab tests beyond the standard tests for fertility assessment prior to egg freezing due to the results of the vaginal ultrasound. I left the office confused about what was 'wrong with me', and whether I should be concerned about my fertility. After that, I decided to consider other doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yes )
unfortunately, I didn't feel communication with my nurse was very good. She didn't explain that I would be charged for the additional bloodwork ordered by the doctor (lesson learned, I guess I have to ask every time) and she quickly told me the names of my "financial care counselor" and someone else that I'd be dealing with (i honestly can't remember). I was thinking - "I'm never going to remember this", which of course I did't. I feel like your contact people should be written down for you, and if you are going to be charged for additional services, it should be understood in advance. I've also struggled to get the appropriate follow up documentation for insurance purposes despite asking before, during and after my appointments.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The staff has been friendly but there have been mistakes/miscommunications. Communication has been a struggle due to the use of a patient portal vs. actual phone calls. I'm unclear as to when I should be using the portal vs. calling the office (it seems the portal is preferable). I've also had the office book appointments on the wrong day. I have not received documentation that i was told would be easy to facilitate with the doctor (for insurance purposes), despite speaking with over five different people in different roles at the clinic about said documentation. I would tell a new patient to ask as many questions as possible to understand exactly what is included in the new patient consultation and testing as well as what is needed on their end in terms of documentation for insurance or HSA funding. I would also suggest that you do your research and seek reviews for any clinic in advance of seeing a doctor. Once you get into the office you feel committed to the process and the doctor you've chosen (because you've made a financial commitment at that point). You don't want to feel obligated to proceed with a doctor or a clinic that you aren't comfortable with. Despite me doing a lot of research on the egg freezing process and local clinics, I felt like I ended up at a place that may not be the best fit for me unfortunately.
So far, I am at roughly $700 and will be charged another $300 or more for an additional ultrasound + the cost of additional bloodwork.
this is not applicable to me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dominion Fertility.
Having an appointment scheduled on the wrong day was one issue. Not receiving the requested documentation for insurance purposes after repeated requests. Not understanding that I'd be billed for additional bloodwork beyond what is included with the initial testing/consultation fees.

2020, 16 Eggs Frozen
Investment Banker
I had hundreds of questions for her [Dr. Sarajari] that never went unanswered. She not only led me through the process her first visit, but also throughout, and was very careful to explain each step of the process...She was the most thorough doctor I've ever had, testing me several times for a certain hormone when the hormone level was too high in my blood and eventually referring me to other doctors to see what could be wrong
The Fair Oaks location was great! Did not feel crowded at all and everything was immaculately clean. It was not hard to find in the edifice, either. Also, the staff were always polite and there was enough space to social distance. They always answered the phone...although not assigned to me, she [my nurse] was so nice every time I came in and was amazing at taking my blood/explaining processes to me.
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
I loved my experience with Doctor Sarajari! She was extremely intelligent, and had so much knowledge about the process. I had hundreds of questions for her that never went unanswered. She not only led me through the process her first visit, but also throughout, and was very careful to explain each step of the process. She was the most thorough doctor I've ever had, testing me several times for a certain hormone when the hormone level was too high in my blood and eventually referring me to other doctors to see what could be wrong. I enjoyed being her patient!
Be grateful she is your patient, ask tons of questions. She will answer all of them and has the expertise to do so.
My experience with Doctor Sarajari was truly unparalleled. She was very kind, very patient, and extremely thorough in every respect. From the moment I stepped into her office she thoughtfully answered any questions that I had. There was no detail that went ignored; when I went to email and ask about whether or not I should keep using CBD gummies during the hormone injection phase of my cycle, she said to skip it. She also had my hormones tested several other times to double check that my prolactin levels were high; over a period of 5 months they were tested and they are, in fact, too high so she is referring me to an endocrinologist to discuss. Could not be more grateful!
We did a usual egg freezing cycle. I was told that the hormones sometimes make you emotional, so I chose to defer throughout the holidays because my mom had died earlier in the year. I had a high AMH level and was told the predicted number of eggs that would be retrieved, which turned out to be almost exactly accurate.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lisa and Christina)
Christina, thank you for answering every single email I sent almost immediately! You were patient and kind and I am grateful. Lisa was especially delightful - although not assigned to me, she was so nice every time I came in and was amazing at taking my blood/explaining processes to me.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Very few, my insurance covered 90% or more.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dominion Fertility.
The only "hiccup" per se with the experience was when I went to get tested for something (can't remember what, exactly) and the nurse taking my blood offered to take my blood for my prolactin levels, which had been high and which I had mentioned I needed to go to another lab to get tested for. She said it would be easier to take it for me right then and there. Unfortunately they called a day later to say they could not find the results and I would have to go to the lab again. Did not see that nurse after that, and was unclear if this mistake occurred because it had not been the plan to take my blood for prolactin in the first place. I didn't mind.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
I think he’s a good doctor. Very caring and he’s tried as much as I think he can at this point. He’s been empathetic with us and has met with us to discuss our options. He doesn’t seem like he’s in it only for the money and is invested in us being successful with whatever decision we choose.... Dr. Gordon explained that I may want to consider other avenues (child-free, adoption or donor egg) since we were spending so much money and time and not getting the results that we wanted.
I like the clinic [Dominion Fertility]. It’s easy to get to and it’s clean. I like the Arlington clinic for aesthetics only. They’re very organized and I like that the staff a talk to each other so it’s less chance of miscommunication.... The monitoring appointments are scheduled during convenient hours when you’re typically on your way to work. I’ve never seen more than 2 women waiting to be seen here. Everything is kept confidential and sign-in and sign-out is easy.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Ask a lot of questions and come prepared with options to try.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Gordon explained that I may want to consider other avenues (child-free, adoption or donor egg) since we were spending so much money and time and not getting the results that we wanted. I appreciated him saying this, but I also think I was in the right headspace to receive it unlike before when another fertility doctor said the exact same thing.
Describe the protocols John David Gordon used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
Tried stimulating me even though my prognosis was that I wouldn’t be a high responder. I wish we hadn’t wasted the time and money on this and tried the other option which was a modified natural IVF. This would help to control my early ovulation. The modified cycle produced one egg, but it wasn’t viable. The stimulated treatment didn’t produce any egg in my follicle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christina)
The nursing staff here is amazing!! Hey really take the time out to educate you on the treatment, how to administer the treatment, and just being very personable.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I like the clinic. It’s easy to get to and it’s clean. I like the Arlington clinic for aesthetics only. They’re very organized and I like that the staff a talk to each other so it’s less chance of miscommunication.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility.
For the stimulated IVF, it was around $24,000. For the modified IVF, it was the same cost as the natural cycle at around $5,000, but with increased cost of meds which wasn’t covered by my insurance for over $1,000. Consultation visits were $250/visit.
Describe John David Gordon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
Dr. Gordon said he’d only transfer one depending on my age.
Fairfax

Dr Kay was there with a hug and willing to help me move forward in any way that I wanted to... I also struggle with extreme anxiety and Dr Kay understood that and always made sure to calm my fears... I went to her thinking I had a bicornuate uterus and I had no idea why I wasn’t getting pregnant. It didn’t take her long to realize I actually had a septate uterus. She performed surgery to fix it and I got pregnant on my first FET.
I went to Dominion’s Fair Oaks office and had the pleasure of working with Christina and Lisa. They are both amazing! They always kept me calm and were there to answer any questions I had...Doninion does have a variety of [cost] packages to choose from which is helpful...offices are wonderful! Clean, modern and up to date technology. They keep up with all the latest research and science. I was seen mostly at the Fair Oaks office but also had some treatments at the Arlington location.
How was your experience with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Dr Kay is an amazing Dr and I would recommend her to anyone struggling with infertility. I went to her thinking I had a bicornuate uterus and I had no idea why I wasn’t getting pregnant. It didn’t take her long to realize I actually had a septate uterus. She performed surgery to fix it and I got pregnant on my first FET. Unfortunately I miscarried my first two babies. Dr Kay was there with a hug and willing to help me move forward in any way that I wanted to. I am currently 14 weeks pregnant with my little girl! I also struggle with extreme anxiety and Dr Kay understood that and always made sure to calm my fears. I can’t say enough good things about this Dr. She is truly one in a million!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Ask Dr Kay any questions you have regarding treatment. She is very upfront and honest.
Dr Kay is extremely personable and always remembered every detail of my case.
Describe the protocols Kay Waud used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
Since my infertility was really just due to the septate uterus my egg retrieval and transfers were pretty standard I think.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Dominion’s offices are wonderful! Clean, modern and up to date technology. They keep up with all the latest research and science. I was seen mostly at the Fair Oaks office but also had some treatments at the Arlington location.
Well, IVF isn’t cheap! Doninion does have a variety of packages to choose from which is helpful, but between your package, additional testing and medication it adds up quick!
Describe Kay Waud's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
At Doninion they will only transfer one embryo at a time. At first I thought maybe it would be nice to have twins but now I’m reallh glad that one at a time is their policy.
Kay Waud
Fairfax
I have had an amazing experience with Dr Gordon. After going off my birth control medicine, I had experienced rapid and unexplained weight gain over the past 18 months, and had seen almost a dozen specialists and had been tested for everything from thyroid disease to brain tumors, without being able to identify the cause. Within 5 minutes of meeting Dr Gordon he suggested that it was PCOS, and he was correct. I'm now mediciates for PCOS and have been losing the weight.
The clinic [Dominion - Fairfax] runs like a well oiled machine, with everyone (including the finance folks) right on site...Expensive but worth it. $24,500 for the guarantee program, which guarantees a live birth or you get the money back, and covers 4 IVF cycles and all transfers...I have had an amazing experience with Dr Gordon...Come with questions - he is very patient and has spent a lot of time answering all of mine!...Because of both PCOS and male factor infertility, Dr Gordon did not recommend trying Clomid.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Because of both PCOS and male factor infertility, Dr Gordon did not recommend trying Clomid. He did suggest IUI, but we decided to skip right to IVF since the success rates are so much higher
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The clinic runs like a well oiled machine, with everyone (including the finance folks) right on site
Dr Gordon strongly encourages single transfer, since it is safer and has a much higher success rate. His office does offer a "guarantee program" that we qualified for, so there is no extra expense to us to do one at a time.
2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
We had an excellent experience with Dr Gordon.We had been trying to get pregnant for almost 10 years and thanks to Dr Gordon, we are now the parents of two children. He was compassionate, caring,honest...we really had a wonderful experience with him. In our journey to get pregnant, we saw many fertility doctors and Dr Gordon was by far the best one....I had a natural cycle IVF...Do not hesitate to ask any questions.He will respond honestly .
The doctor and the nurses [at Dominion - Fairfax] were all very caring...The nurses were great.They were very caring and competent....We had an excellent experience with Dr Gordon.We had been trying to get pregnant for almost 10 years and thanks to Dr Gordon, we are now the parents of two children. He was compassionate, caring,honest...we really had a wonderful experience with him. In our journey to get pregnant, we saw many fertility doctors and Dr Gordon was by far the best one.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Do not hesitate to ask any questions.He will respond honestly .
The doctor and the nurses were all very caring.
I had a natural cycle IVF
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Dominion Fertility.
The nurses were great.They were very caring and competent.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
They are caring, competent .

2018 - 2019, Consult
The nurses [at Dominion Fertility] were super friendly and worked to make sure we understood every next step...A lot of the testing is done off site and there are a lot of steps. There’s a lot of information to remember and they give you a packet, but more follow ups would be helpful...Dr. Gordon seemed really busy and we felt ever so slightly rushed through our first appointment but only because we had so many questions. I didn’t like that he seemed to have a “default method” that would have required useless sperm testing for my husband (confirmed by a second opinion from a urologist)...Ask all your questions while you have him in the room!...listened to our challenges and unique scenario as I am fertile but the issues lie with my husband.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Ask all your questions while you have him in the room!
Dr. Gordon listened to our challenges and unique scenario as I am fertile but the issues lie with my husband.
TBD- haven’t begun full cycle
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Dominion Fertility.
The nurses were super friendly and worked to make sure we understood every next step
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Expensive and not covered by United health care insurance. A lot of the testing is done off site and there are a lot of steps. There’s a lot of information to remember and they give you a packet, but more follow ups would be helpful.
Still under treatment. Diagnostic tests alone were a couple hundred dollars I think
Na

2020, Consult
I have only had one introductory call with Dr. Sarajari so far, but she took a lot more time than my other doctors to explain my options and provide suggestions. She suggested I get another diagnostic test done, which ended up being really helpful. I felt respected, heard, and not rushed when I spoke with her...I felt like a human because she spent a good amount of time and did not rush me into a decision, which would have felt like I was just another number to her.
I have only spoken to a couple nurses on the phone [at Dominion Fertility], but they were very helpful!...they impressed me immediately. Despite everything going on with the caronavirus, I received a call from the doctor two days after requesting one. They seemed organized and uploaded my previous labs quickly so she had them available to review. Someone proactively reached out to ensure they had the correct forms. The financial adviser is quite nice, but not incredibly flexible. I was hoping to donate eggs while doing egg freezing for my own use, and she seemed uncomfortable with asking the doctor or donor coordinator whether that was possible. She suggested I call the donor coordinator myself, but seemed discouraging. Considering how expensive egg freezing is, I wished she had been more encouraging in trying to find creative ways to financially access expensive treatment.
Ask all your questions!
I have not reached this point, but she ordered another blood panel because she wanted to double check them before going forward. I liked that because it didn't feel rushed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Dominion Fertility.
I have only spoken to a couple nurses on the phone, but they were very helpful!
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Although I am new to this clinic, they impressed me immediately. Despite everything going on with the caronavirus, I received a call from the doctor two days after requesting one. They seemed organized and uploaded my previous labs quickly so she had them available to review. Someone proactively reached out to ensure they had the correct forms. The financial adviser is quite nice, but not incredibly flexible. I was hoping to donate eggs while doing egg freezing for my own use, and she seemed uncomfortable with asking the doctor or donor coordinator whether that was possible. She suggested I call the donor coordinator myself, but seemed discouraging. Considering how expensive egg freezing is, I wished she had been more encouraging in trying to find creative ways to financially access expensive treatment.
NA - I am gathering the details now.
Washington DC