Nutrition counseling is not offered

Washington DC
1145 19th Street NW Suite
Washington, DC 20036

2022, Unknown Success
I felt totally rushed through the entire consultation and I felt like he [Dr. DiMattina] was trying to sell me something...His oversimplification of the process, side effects and overall decision to consider egg freezing was off putting. He treated it like I was buying a new car rather than exploring an emotional, somewhat scary and financially burdensome procedure...The way he kept simplifying the process was so impersonal given that it's a huge decision for most women
The staff [at Dominion Fertility] has been friendly but there have been mistakes/miscommunications. Communication has been a struggle due to the use of a patient portal vs. actual phone calls. I'm unclear as to when I should be using the portal vs. calling the office (it seems the portal is preferable). I've also had the office book appointments on the wrong day...I felt totally rushed through the entire consultation and I felt like he [Dr. DiMattina] was trying to sell me something.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
His oversimplification of the process, side effects and overall decision to consider egg freezing was off putting. He treated it like I was buying a new car rather than exploring an emotional, somewhat scary and financially burdensome procedure (on my own). I felt rushed through my questions and did not feel I got an honest answer with regards to potential side effects of the treatment medications.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Unfortunately it would be to consider another doctor. I think he is missing the human connection element (or maybe he just had a bad day). Bedside manner, particularly when your are treating women for fertility is immensely important. The lack of understanding that many of his patients are traversing through an incredibly emotional (sometimes painful), and expensive process was very disappointing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
I felt totally rushed through the entire consultation and I felt like he was trying to sell me something. Without even learning about me he kept saying that "i was making the right decision" and kept repeating how easy this was going to be. It felt so phony. He also told me that his patients experience almost no side effects to the medications required for egg freezing - which based on my research isn't true. The way he kept simplifying the process was so impersonal given that it's a huge decision for most women (me included).
Describe the protocols Michael DiMattina used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
I saw him for the initial consultation and the vaginal ultrasound. He ordered some additional lab tests beyond the standard tests for fertility assessment prior to egg freezing due to the results of the vaginal ultrasound. I left the office confused about what was 'wrong with me', and whether I should be concerned about my fertility. After that, I decided to consider other doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yes )
unfortunately, I didn't feel communication with my nurse was very good. She didn't explain that I would be charged for the additional bloodwork ordered by the doctor (lesson learned, I guess I have to ask every time) and she quickly told me the names of my "financial care counselor" and someone else that I'd be dealing with (i honestly can't remember). I was thinking - "I'm never going to remember this", which of course I did't. I feel like your contact people should be written down for you, and if you are going to be charged for additional services, it should be understood in advance. I've also struggled to get the appropriate follow up documentation for insurance purposes despite asking before, during and after my appointments.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The staff has been friendly but there have been mistakes/miscommunications. Communication has been a struggle due to the use of a patient portal vs. actual phone calls. I'm unclear as to when I should be using the portal vs. calling the office (it seems the portal is preferable). I've also had the office book appointments on the wrong day. I have not received documentation that i was told would be easy to facilitate with the doctor (for insurance purposes), despite speaking with over five different people in different roles at the clinic about said documentation. I would tell a new patient to ask as many questions as possible to understand exactly what is included in the new patient consultation and testing as well as what is needed on their end in terms of documentation for insurance or HSA funding. I would also suggest that you do your research and seek reviews for any clinic in advance of seeing a doctor. Once you get into the office you feel committed to the process and the doctor you've chosen (because you've made a financial commitment at that point). You don't want to feel obligated to proceed with a doctor or a clinic that you aren't comfortable with. Despite me doing a lot of research on the egg freezing process and local clinics, I felt like I ended up at a place that may not be the best fit for me unfortunately.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility.
So far, I am at roughly $700 and will be charged another $300 or more for an additional ultrasound + the cost of additional bloodwork.
Describe Michael DiMattina's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
this is not applicable to me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dominion Fertility.
Having an appointment scheduled on the wrong day was one issue. Not receiving the requested documentation for insurance purposes after repeated requests. Not understanding that I'd be billed for additional bloodwork beyond what is included with the initial testing/consultation fees.

2021, Successful
I am a fan of Dr. Kay. Period. I felt safe (in every sense of the word, emotionally, physically, etc.) and seen throughout this journey. I did not see her at every visit, as the majority of my visits were monitoring appointments, but she handled all of my procedures and was there for all of the milestone appointments (including the egg retrieval, embryo transfer, pregnancy ultrasounds, etc.)....
The staff at Dominion (Arlington) is amazing! The front desk staff, the nurses, and my coordinator made such a difference in my journey. Wow! If I wasn't sure about next steps or something I was able to quickly get a response via the portal or after leaving a voicemail with the nurses. The only thing I do think could have been better, I felt like a lot of the questions I asked were pretty standard and it would have been helpful to have the information up front. Once I asked however, the nurses and my coordinator were thorough and extremely helpful, but would have been even better to not have even needed to ask some of the generic questions in the first place.
How was your experience with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
As with any doctor/patient relationship, trust your gut. You are important and your journey is yours. It is important you feel heard and seen and important. If all of this checks out as it did for me, and you want to proceed with Dr. Kay - DO! I did and do not regret it for one moment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Kay has great bedside manner. I don't know if my treatment plan was tailored to me or how common my experience was, so I can't speak on that - but I felt heard and cared for during every conversation from my consultation through graduation.
Describe the protocols Kay Waud used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
I was not getting pregnant after trying for 6 months. We did a hysterosonogram (water sonogram), hysterosalpingogram (HSG), couples genetic testing, and semen analysis - which I think is all standard for the clinic. We found out I have a blocked tube, and because I was already 41 at the time decided to pursue IVF rather than try IUI. I did a stimulated IVF cycle. Only one ovary responded to the medications, but the egg retrieval was successful. After Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI), the 5 days, and Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGD), I was left with only one healthy embryo. Since I only had the one, Dr. Kay recommended we also do an Endometrial Receptivity Analysis (ERA) cycle to increase our chances of success. Then I had a mock embryo transfer (standard) and a successful frozen embryo transfer. I am currently 11 weeks pregnant and remaining hopeful!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jackie (Coordinator))
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The staff and Dr. Kay Waud are top notch! The facility (Arlington) was clean, welcoming, and modern. They are also very punctual for all appointment. My biggest pain points (though small) were with the billing department (having wrong information about my insurance coverage, etc).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility.
Most covered by insurance other than the couples genetic testing, the ERA test cycle, and the embryo genetic testing (PGS/PGT).
Describe Kay Waud's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
Dominion does not do multiple embryo transfers. I can't comment on eSET because after genetic testing (PGS/PGT) of my embryos, I was only left with one healthy embryo.

2021, Successful
My experience was pretty mediocre. I didn't particular feel like a number to Dr. Sarajari but I also didn't necessary feel super attended to or well informed. I had to always initiate questions or do research online to figure out information...I wouldn't classify myself as a high need patient so I didn't need a lot of attention. I also am a mental health professional so had the capacity to cope with the unfortunate circumstances. However, at the same time would have appreciated a little more information regarding my care during my visits and more attention to mental health...
A major weakness [at Dominion Fertility] is their financial department....I had to initiate contact and find out the information I requested weeks ago. Not to mention I left multiple VMs with no return calls. When I finally talked with her on the phone, no apology...I felt more like a number when I came in for blood draws and monitoring...Every nurse was a little different. I interacted with multiple due to going between both Arlington and Bethesda clinic depending on where I was staying. Some nurses were more compassionate and informative than others. Overall, no one was terrible nor exceptional...
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
My experience was pretty mediocre. I wouldn't classify myself as a high need patient so I didn't need a lot of attention. I also am a mental health professional so had the capacity to cope with the unfortunate circumstances. However, at the same time would have appreciated a little more information regarding my care during my visits and more attention to mental health. I have the capacity to ask questions myself but it would be nice to not have to elicit information all the time as it should be standard of care. I had weeks of delay due to hormone issues and became increasingly frustrated and felt a little out of the loop.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
My experience was pretty mediocre. I didn't particular feel like a number to Dr. Sarajari but I also didn't necessary feel super attended to or well informed. I had to always initiate questions or do research online to figure out information. I felt more like a number when I came in for blood draws and monitoring which did not always involve Dr. Sarajari.
Describe the protocols Susan Sarajari used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
Due to my hormones preventing me from starting treatment, I had to take birth control pills. I had injections: gonal, menopur, ganirelix and lupron trigger shot. Injection were to stimulate multiple follicles to produce multiple eggs for retrieval. I ended up with 13 eggs, 5 fertilized and made it to freezing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kerry Hartman)
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
A major weakness is their financial department. I worked with Leslie Jackson and continue to feel disappointed and frustrated. After I was diagnosed with fertility issues, I met with Leslie Jackson requesting an overview of what my insurance would or would not cover before I could decide to start treatment. She told me she would request auths and send to me, by email, the financial costs. With the understanding and knowledge that she probably is very busy, I did not follow up until a few weeks later when I didn't hear anything. I called my insurance prior to see if an auth was requested. It was not. When I contacted my coordinator about this, she said she would help me follow up with Leslie. I never heard from Leslie. I called my insurance later to follow up and found she had requested an auth the day after I contacted my coordinator but never heard from her that she did so. I called my insurance again in a few days and found that the auth was approved. After that, I had yet to hear from Leslie to inform me. I had to initiate contact and find out the information I requested weeks ago. Not to mention I left multiple VMs with no return calls. When I finally talked with her on the phone, no apology whatsoever, straight up business talk. She has a habit of speaking fast and as if everyone in the world should know how insurance works. There is no consideration for the financial impact that infertility issues have on an individual or couple. I would imagine that one of the biggest factors that prevent someone from considering treatment is financial capacity. The fact that Dominion Fertility has a poor financial navigation department decreases its value. Furthermore, Dr. Sarajari is not a credentialed reproductive endocrinologist specialist with Blue Cross Blue Shield. She is only credentialed as a gynecologist. As a result, she, in the eyes of insurance, does not get to charge a specialist copay, only the copay rate of a PCP/GYN. However, I had to pay the specialist copay to the clinic. While I believe Dr. Sarajari is providing specialist services, it is not my fault she did not credential herself as such with my insurance company. They are only counting a part of the copay I paid to the clinic, it created a discrepancy between what I paid and what insurance counted. This resulted in me meeting my deductible and out of pocket maximum at a later date in the eyes of insurance when in reality, I already met it because of the specialist copay rate. Before even contacting Leslie, I called my insurance multiple times to first get a better understanding of what was going on and to see if insurance made a mistake. As a previous billing provider myself, I know that insurance has screwed up before. Insurance told me the services with Dr. Sarajari were billed as PCP/GYN, not specialist so Dominion would have to resubmit for it to process and specialist. I contacted Leslie on the patient portal about requesting a refund or for her to figure things out with insurance. Of course, she responds immediately, unlike my past interactions with her where it takes longer for a response. She argued that the services were not PCP/GYN, which I don’t disagree with. However, if there is a billing error, it needs to be fixed to reflect the actual services. She said she will send bills for reprocessing. A long period of time passes, I hear nothing, I call my insurance to see if the bills were submitted for reprocessing. It has not. I wait some more, call back, still nothing submitted for reprocessing. I finally go back to Leslie who claimed that her colleagued submitted the bills for reprocessing. Then proceeds to try to tell me that if I pursued a reprocessing that I would have to pay more out of pocket because of scheduling fees. It still did not make sense to me. I asked for clarification only for her to talk fast and not really help me understand her logic. So of course I have to call insurance AGAIN and I tried to ask about the scheduling fees she spoke of. They had no idea what she was talking about. From my understanding with insurance and my own research, I wouldn’t have to pay more and the insurance company actually would pay less. My insurance told me that Dr. Sarajari simply isn’t credentialed as a specialist so if she wants to collect the specialist copay, she needs to get credentialed with insurance as one. I go back to Leslie again expressing my frustration as I have spent A LOT of time and energy on this matter with little support from her. My insurance agreed to call her to work things out but she has not returned calls. Her simple response to my distress was that she didn’t receive calls and that she works until 3:30pm. The fact that I have my embryos at the facility and I have to go back for a transfer makes me mad. I want to switch to another provider but feel stuck. I want to resolve these issues before I have to go back for the transfer but clearly it’s going to cost me more time and energy. Simply based on my experience with the financial department, I wouldn’t recommend Dominion.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility.
Roughly $8k
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dominion Fertility.
See comments related to financial conflicts.
2021, Successful
Dr. Kay was wonderful. Straightforward but with a warm bedside manner. I never felt like a statistic, but a human...I can't recommend Dr. Kay enough. She was wonderful, innovative, and kind. I went through one round of IVF and one transfer with her which resulted in pregnancy. I'll be going back to her for sure. 10/10 on all fronts...
I can't say enough about the entire nursing staff of Dominion - Bethesda. I mostly saw Jana (angel) and Holli was my IVF coordinator. They were compassionate, prompt, caring...I had a very straightforward and relatively seamless administrative experience -- the one snafu was not their fault but with our insurance, and Guriet was wonderful in helping us untangle it. They are prompt, responsive, and kind. I felt like I was in very good hands from my first visit to my "graduation."
How was your experience with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jana and Holli)
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Our insurance covered most of it.
Bethesda

[Dr. Susan Sarajari] She communicates well. Calls you directly with any updates or news on your cycle. She listens very well and answers questions clearly. I’m not sure how much experience with older patients she has, but she is willing to try and give you a fair chance before pushing donor eggs...Only allows single transfer in older patients. Not sure about younger patients.
[Dominion Fertility] They now use a portal to send you updates and communicate through. I had come confusion understanding my protocol calendar and they were helpful sitting down and walking me through it...[nurses] They both chat with you answer questions quickly and seem to like their job...First come first serve early morning hours [for monitoring appointments]
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Come prepared with IVF knowledge and questions. You won’t get a lesson in IVF or its procedures at your visit. Read up on it before you go.
Dr. Sarajari is willing to sit and talk to you and listen. She is willing to try different options and is very to the point. The office staff is friendly and well run.
44 DOR and age is a factor. First round I was put on lupron for 10 days, then 300 menopur and 300 gonol f (highest does) very slow response. At retrieval no luck 1 follicle empty and 2nd ovary couldn’t be reached due to enlarged uterus. I need a hysteroscopy. 2nd round primes with estrogen and did 300 of menopur and 300 gonal no response at all. Estrogen shut me down. Cycle canceled.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Holli)
The whole nursing team is great. Holli has been wonderful and I have become fond of Nicole. They both chat with you answer questions quickly and seem to like their job.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Very clean, organized and well run. They now use a portal to send you updates and communicate through. I had come confusion understanding my protocol calendar and they were helpful sitting down and walking me through it.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Dominion Fertility.
First come first serve early morning hours
Unsure I have insurance and it covers a lot
Describe Susan Sarajari's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
Only allows single transfer in older patients. Not sure about younger patients.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dominion Fertility.
Need a hysteroscopy to see if I can carry a child and get a period again to know what cycle day I’m on. I’ve done 2 rounds and just got the referral

2016 - 2020, Unknown Success
He [Dr. DiMattina] diagnose my husband with low morphology (1%) and recommended that we proceed with IVF. ... He got us on a treatment plan and we went for it. ... Dr. D is very confident ... He is very blunt too. ... He said long cycles and portions of my blood work indicated that PCOS may have been a factor. ... This past March, we had our egg retrieval- 21 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized, 5 blasts, and 4 PGS normal. I am excited to move forward with him, once we have the all clear from the COVID19 pandemic. Dr. D is the best!
From Dr. D to the Dominion staff, I felt like I mattered. ... Strengths: the clinic is conveniently located, clean, and very nice. I love the monitoring hours, and the nurse hotline too. ... Donna Jove! Where do I begin? ... She has been a superstar from the very beginning. Very detailed, informative, and compassionate. ... Dr. D only transfers one embryo if the embryos are PGS tested. His reasoning is that PGS tested embryos have a higher rate of pregnancy, therefore, reducing the need for multiple embryos. Dr. D also does frozen embryos only, because he states frozen embryos are more successful.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
We first decided to see Dr. Di back in 2016 after years of unexplained infertility. I knew something was wrong, as I'd been with my husband for about a decade at the time with no pregnancy in sight. Never even a pregnancy scare. Before seeing Dr. D, I went to my regular OB-GYN and went through the tormenting process of timing intercourse, clomid cycles, countless exams, and I even did fertility-focused acupuncture. As a woman, I guess I assumed our fertility issues were caused by me; never considered male factor infertility. However, Dr. D cleared that up on our first appointment back in 2016. He is very blunt too. He diagnose my husband with low morphology (1%) and recommended that we proceed with IVF. Mentally we weren't ready for all that - IVF was a big step and my husband had lots of emotions about his diagnosis. Fast forward to 2019, after years of more therapies, 2 failed IUIs (not performed by Dr. D), hundreds of pregnancy tests, urology appointments and treatments, with no baby in sight, we decided to revisit Dr. D. We were finally ready! Can you believe he remembered us! He got us on a treatment plan and we went for it. This past March, we had our egg retrieval- 21 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized, 5 blasts, and 4 PGS normal. I am excited to move forward with him, once we have the all clear from the COVID19 pandemic. Dr. D is the best!
Dr. D is very confident. I love that about him, because I like to know that I am dealing with the best. Just trust him.
From Dr. D to the Dominion staff, I felt like I mattered.
Dr. D first recommended that we move straight to IVF. He mentioned that IUIs and other treatments would be wastes of money because of the low morphology issue. He said IVF with ICSI was needed to make sure the sperm penetrated the egg. He also had me go on metformin for 3 months before we started the egg retrieval protocol because of my history of lengthy menstrual cycles. He said long cycles and portions of my blood work indicated that PCOS may have been a factor. My vitamin D levels were also very low, so he had me see a endocrinologist to discuss PCOS and vitamin D.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Donna Jove)
Donna Jove! Where do I begin? I was not initially assigned to Donna, but my original nurse went on maternity leave so I was transferred over to her. She has been a superstar from the very beginning. Very detailed, informative, and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Strengths: the clinic is conveniently located, clean, and very nice. I love the monitoring hours, and the nurse hotline too. Weakness: I'm reaching here because the clinic was the best I'd been to in the area. I guess, I wish the clinic were closer to me in southern Maryland.
about 12K plus medication

2020, Consult
I have only had one introductory call with Dr. Sarajari so far, but she took a lot more time than my other doctors to explain my options and provide suggestions. She suggested I get another diagnostic test done, which ended up being really helpful. I felt respected, heard, and not rushed when I spoke with her...I felt like a human because she spent a good amount of time and did not rush me into a decision, which would have felt like I was just another number to her.
I have only spoken to a couple nurses on the phone [at Dominion Fertility], but they were very helpful!...they impressed me immediately. Despite everything going on with the caronavirus, I received a call from the doctor two days after requesting one. They seemed organized and uploaded my previous labs quickly so she had them available to review. Someone proactively reached out to ensure they had the correct forms. The financial adviser is quite nice, but not incredibly flexible. I was hoping to donate eggs while doing egg freezing for my own use, and she seemed uncomfortable with asking the doctor or donor coordinator whether that was possible. She suggested I call the donor coordinator myself, but seemed discouraging. Considering how expensive egg freezing is, I wished she had been more encouraging in trying to find creative ways to financially access expensive treatment.
Ask all your questions!
I have not reached this point, but she ordered another blood panel because she wanted to double check them before going forward. I liked that because it didn't feel rushed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Dominion Fertility.
I have only spoken to a couple nurses on the phone, but they were very helpful!
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Although I am new to this clinic, they impressed me immediately. Despite everything going on with the caronavirus, I received a call from the doctor two days after requesting one. They seemed organized and uploaded my previous labs quickly so she had them available to review. Someone proactively reached out to ensure they had the correct forms. The financial adviser is quite nice, but not incredibly flexible. I was hoping to donate eggs while doing egg freezing for my own use, and she seemed uncomfortable with asking the doctor or donor coordinator whether that was possible. She suggested I call the donor coordinator myself, but seemed discouraging. Considering how expensive egg freezing is, I wished she had been more encouraging in trying to find creative ways to financially access expensive treatment.
NA - I am gathering the details now.
Washington DC

Dr. Waud is sensitive and friendly, but it's very hard to get to see her or talk to her. Even after failed transfers it was hard to get her to return my calls. she also stuck to established protocols and didn't personalize treatment to my specific issues, and if I asked questions she kind of blew me off. It was also very difficult to get basic information such as lab results, etc...I think she oversells. She told me to expect a high number of eggs retrieved, then when I responded poorly to stims in my first cycle she just kind of shrugged and repeated the exact same protocol for my second cycle. My FETs failed and again she just kind of shrugged. I felt like I could never get enough information out of her. It was very frustrating.
I only met my nurse coordinator [at Dominion Fertility] one time in more than a year. She was always very distracted when I called with questions, and seemed very disorganized. The nursing staff I saw at monitoring visits were mostly very friendly and competent. I always felt like they had my best interests in mind and they remembered things and followed up...It's a small enough clinic that you get personalized attention and people remember your name, but they're very bad at information sharing. They don't give you lab results or even basic information about procedure outcomes unless you chase them down. The business side of the clinic is disorganized; they didn't keep
How was your experience with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
If you like to know details about your treatment, she's not a good doctor for you. However if you're looking for someone warm with a good bedside manner, she'd be a good fit.
I only met my nurse coordinator one time in more than a year. She was always very distracted when I called with questions, and seemed very disorganized. The nursing staff I saw at monitoring visits were mostly very friendly and competent. I always felt like they had my best interests in mind and they remembered things and followed up.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
It's a small enough clinic that you get personalized attention and people remember your name, but they're very bad at information sharing. They don't give you lab results or even basic information about procedure outcomes unless you chase them down. The business side of the clinic is disorganized; they didn't keep an accounting of the deposit they made me pay, so they tried to bill me for things even though they already had a huge deposit, and I had to fight with them and provide proof that I had put down a deposit. They forgot to bill my insurance several times. They also failed to send medical records when needed by other doctors.
I had insurance but they required me to leave a large deposit rather than billing through my insurance and then billing me. Unfortunately they failed to keep a proper accounting of the deposit and billed me for things that should have been paid from the deposit, even threatening to postpone my procedures if I didn't give them more money. Their main finance person was pretty good when I could get a hold of her, but it was a constant battle.
I don't think they do multiple embryo transfers. At least I was told it wasn't an option.

2020, 16 Eggs Frozen
Investment Banker
I had hundreds of questions for her [Dr. Sarajari] that never went unanswered. She not only led me through the process her first visit, but also throughout, and was very careful to explain each step of the process...She was the most thorough doctor I've ever had, testing me several times for a certain hormone when the hormone level was too high in my blood and eventually referring me to other doctors to see what could be wrong
The Fair Oaks location was great! Did not feel crowded at all and everything was immaculately clean. It was not hard to find in the edifice, either. Also, the staff were always polite and there was enough space to social distance. They always answered the phone...although not assigned to me, she [my nurse] was so nice every time I came in and was amazing at taking my blood/explaining processes to me.
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
I loved my experience with Doctor Sarajari! She was extremely intelligent, and had so much knowledge about the process. I had hundreds of questions for her that never went unanswered. She not only led me through the process her first visit, but also throughout, and was very careful to explain each step of the process. She was the most thorough doctor I've ever had, testing me several times for a certain hormone when the hormone level was too high in my blood and eventually referring me to other doctors to see what could be wrong. I enjoyed being her patient!
Be grateful she is your patient, ask tons of questions. She will answer all of them and has the expertise to do so.
My experience with Doctor Sarajari was truly unparalleled. She was very kind, very patient, and extremely thorough in every respect. From the moment I stepped into her office she thoughtfully answered any questions that I had. There was no detail that went ignored; when I went to email and ask about whether or not I should keep using CBD gummies during the hormone injection phase of my cycle, she said to skip it. She also had my hormones tested several other times to double check that my prolactin levels were high; over a period of 5 months they were tested and they are, in fact, too high so she is referring me to an endocrinologist to discuss. Could not be more grateful!
We did a usual egg freezing cycle. I was told that the hormones sometimes make you emotional, so I chose to defer throughout the holidays because my mom had died earlier in the year. I had a high AMH level and was told the predicted number of eggs that would be retrieved, which turned out to be almost exactly accurate.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lisa and Christina)
Christina, thank you for answering every single email I sent almost immediately! You were patient and kind and I am grateful. Lisa was especially delightful - although not assigned to me, she was so nice every time I came in and was amazing at taking my blood/explaining processes to me.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Very few, my insurance covered 90% or more.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Dominion Fertility.
The only "hiccup" per se with the experience was when I went to get tested for something (can't remember what, exactly) and the nurse taking my blood offered to take my blood for my prolactin levels, which had been high and which I had mentioned I needed to go to another lab to get tested for. She said it would be easier to take it for me right then and there. Unfortunately they called a day later to say they could not find the results and I would have to go to the lab again. Did not see that nurse after that, and was unclear if this mistake occurred because it had not been the plan to take my blood for prolactin in the first place. I didn't mind.

2020, Unsuccessful
She [our Dominion Fertility nurse] was very nice, but for many years on the job, I would have expected better communication, understanding. I also shouldn't have to wait to weeks to start treatment because my nurse coordinator didn't contact me...we couldn't get anyone [from finance] to call us back to explain anything. We were being forced to choose a "plan" without understanding what our options were..
How was your experience with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
The entire experience at Dominion Fertility was pretty terrible. The very first appointment went great, I thought the nurses were friendly and Dr. Kay explained the testing we would need. Dr. Kay diagnosed me with PCOS without having my test results based on the fact that my periods were "irregular" (which they really aren't). She insisted I go on metformin and that even if I didn't have PCOS I'd still need this medication. She was extremely difficult to get a hold of outside of an office visit. She was kind, but never made me feel comfortable in her diagnosis or decisions. I didn't feel like I would be in good care.
Do your research, make sure that you feel comfortable with the diagnosis and treatment.
It was impossible to reach the doctor outside of an office visit. When I did, I was given generic information that wasn't personalized to my specific needs. It seemed like the most important was to sell us on the IVF Guarantee program which would end up costing us a lot more money.
I didn't get far in treatment because of my experience. I was prescribed metformin unnecessarily and incorrectly diagnosed with PCOS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Hollie)
I wasn't contacted by my nurse coordinator for two weeks. I had to call repeatedly to get her to call me and explain the next steps of treatment as it wasn't clear. She wasn't able to fully answer all of our questions and had to refer us back to Dr. Waud. She was very nice, but for many years on the job, I would have expected better communication, understanding. I also shouldn't have to wait to weeks to start treatment because my nurse coordinator didn't contact me.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
This was by far the worst experience at a clinic in my entire life. The nurses pulled the wrong lab results (results for 2 years prior for different test) from the wrong lab and accused me of not getting the right lab work done. I am not sure how I would have been able to get testing for something else and then send it to them without a written order. The nurses seemed uninterested in explaining anything, my treatment, my medications and how to use them and why and my diagnosis. The nurses also didn't inform me that I'd have to have a 2 hour glucose test, so when I went to the lab, I wasn't prepared and didn't have enough time. I had to come back another day, wasting an additional day and taking time from work. They mostly seemed annoyed that I was contacting them or asking questions at appointments. The communication is terrible. Dr. Waud did not have any of the test results when she made the diagnosis of PCOS and put me on metformin. The whole point of seeing them was to having the proper testing done. She was upset when I kept on asking why she thought I had PCOS. She only wanted to sell us on the IVF Guarantee program, which wouldn't make sense for us with the outcome of our testing. Just seems like this clinic wants money. The financial department is very poorly run. We couldn't reach anyone to get financial information for weeks. When we did get the information, it was a bunch of jargon that makes no sense to first time IVF patients and we couldn't get anyone to call us back to explain anything. We were being forced to choose a "plan" without understanding what our options were. We are highly educated people and have no problem being able to sift through this type of language, but the Dominion Financial aspects seem intentionally vague so that you spend more money than you need. I discussed all of these issues with the Administrative department and hope they make these changes for future patients.
Arlington

Dr. Sarajari recommended we do IVF within six months after seeing mine and my husband's diagnostic test results...recommended we use ICSI for fertilization, which resulted in 100% of our eggs being fertilized...She strongly recommended we do single transfer...always took the time to answer my questions (and invite questions as well). She made me feel that she was invested in my treatment and my success... I emailed her my concerns one night at 11:45pm, and she called me back personally at 9:15am the next morning, waited patiently for me to conference in my husband, and helped us talk through our options. I know that this included some information she'd told us before, but she still took the time to rehash it for us. It helped us make the most informed decision and made us feel empowered and confident that we were doing so.
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
I was randomly assigned to Dr. Sarajari when I decided to pick Dominion Fertility - I am glad that I was! Of all the doctors (who are all very kind), I always felt the most comfortable with her. I like to know and understand all details, so I had a fair amount of questions. She always took the time to answer them, and she also gave me her email address to contact her when my husband and I were wrestling with doing IUI or IVF. I emailed her my concerns one night at 11:45pm, and she called me back personally at 9:15am the next morning, waited patiently for me to conference in my husband, and helped us talk through our options. I know that this included some information she'd told us before, but she still took the time to rehash it for us. It helped us make the most informed decision and made us feel empowered and confident that we were doing so.
If you're like me and need to know every detail - I'd always make sure to have a notepad with you. And, when asking questions, I found it very helpful to have them at hand for a productive conversation. I think this would apply to most doctors though!
Dr. Sarajari always took the time to answer my questions (and invite questions as well). She made me feel that she was invested in my treatment and my success.
Dr. Sarajari recommended we do IVF within six months after seeing mine and my husband's diagnostic test results. We waited on it (last ditch effort to try naturally) for three months, then started on Estrace, Gonal F (Follistim), Menopur and Ganirelax. My trigger shot was Lupron. Dr. Sarajari recommended we use ICSI for fertilization, which resulted in 100% of our eggs being fertilized. So far, that's where we are in the process!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Holli Simon)
I have said on more than one occasion that I wouldn't be able to go through IVF without Holli! She is patient, thorough, accessible, and kind. You can't really ask for anything more. It is very evident (and so very appreciated) that she cares about her patients. I went through IVF during a particularly busy time of the year for Dominion and she still got back to me in a timely manner when I had questions (a lot of them) and helped coordinate every detail.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The staff is very friendly here. And competent (which sounds like a given, but at many doctor's offices sometimes I wonder). I never have to worry that I will not receive a call back when I have to leave the nurse or finance dept a message. One thing I think that is unique to Dominion is that the offer an in-home injection teaching. My coordinator sat with me and my husband for +1 hour at our kitchen table teaching us how to mix the meds, practice using the needle with a tester to get a feel for things. As someone nervous with needles, this was HUGE. Dominion clearly cares about their patients and staff - we had a big snowstorm in DC one weekend, and they put up their staff at the hotel across the street so there'd be no chance they'd miss work! Another strength of Dominion is that they have a very knowledgeable finance department. Critical when undertaking a large financial commitment like IVF. They helped battle my insurance on multiple occasions - even getting on a three-way call with me and them a few times to resolve matters. My only criticism (which honestly is slight) is that sometimes the morning monitoring hours can feel like a revolving door. With so many people coming in and out, the time with the doctors can be very fast. You need to speak up and ask question (how am I progressing, how many follicles do you see) otherwise you may not have a ton of information volunteered for you. Also, my retrieval fell on a Sunday AM, so my doctor was not there to do the procedure as I had hoped. I imagine that would have been different if it was on a week day.
Monitoring was relatively efficient. A few times it was busy (for example for people arriving the last ~20 min of the weekend AM window), but most of the time I was in and out in about 30-40 minutes.
Under my insurance (so far!) costs have been about $5k to the clinic and $500 for meds (but we've reached our max for fertility drugs). We will incur additional fees for genetic testing (TBD). Since more drugs will be out of pocket, Dominion said they'd help me shop around for the best prices.
She strongly recommended we do single transfer
Arlington

There are times the doctors travel between their multiple offices, and you may have to wait a few minutes, but she [Dr. Sarajari] is worth the wait... was the first doctor to explain things to me in a way that felt not only healing, but manageable. She was an answer to many worries and frustrations...makes us feel heard and valued. When she discovered my uterine fibroids or polyps (still waiting for the surgery/results), it was a busy day and I know she had other places to be, but she sat with me and my husband and very empathetically answered all of our questions and calmed our concerns. I'm sure the same will continue as we move on to our next steps.
any blood draws, monitoring, or discussions with the nurses [at Dominion Fertility- Bethesda] has been so wonderful. I really enjoy each of them. All of them have been compassionate, and eager to help in anyway...We are hoping to do the guaranteed program which is about 26k, includes many things, but medications and such are outside of this cost... Overall, we are very satisfied and feel like we are in good hands.
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Sarajari has been extremely beneficial to me and my husband. We are still waiting to start IVF, but trust we are in good/capable hands. I was frustrated and bummed and honestly scared about so many things before our first consult, but when you walk into the office there is a sign that says, "the only thing strong than fear is hope," and from the first handshake with Dr. Sarajari her hope was contagious. Dr. Sarajari is a compassionate expert who makes us feel heard and valued. When she discovered my uterine fibroids or polyps (still waiting for the surgery/results), it was a busy day and I know she had other places to be, but she sat with me and my husband and very empathetically answered all of our questions and calmed our concerns. I'm sure the same will continue as we move on to our next steps.
Be patient. There are times the doctors travel between their multiple offices, and you may have to wait a few minutes, but she is worth the wait.
Dr. Sarajari was the first doctor to explain things to me in a way that felt not only healing, but manageable. She was an answer to many worries and frustrations.
We are at the very beginning phases and waiting for all of this info for our particular case.
So far it everything for our situation is in the initial stages, but any blood draws, monitoring, or discussions with the nurses has been so wonderful. I really enjoy each of them. All of them have been compassionate, and eager to help in anyway.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The doctors and nurses I have worked with are wonderful. They each take time to make you feel at ease, and cared for. The office staff is also wonderful and organized. If I need to be constructive and provide an area for growth/weakness...we did had a few issues with the billing department. In my opinion, they were very minor and nothing that would make us choose another practice. Overall, we are very satisfied and feel like we are in good hands.
I believe this clinic prefers eSET, but I am new to the process.
Bethesda

Every question was always answered [by Dr. Sarajari]. She provided very detailed explanations of every process. I met with her at every visit. She examined me at every visit. She did not hesitate in recommending we move on to IVF given our diagnoses. She did not waste our time or money with interventions that were not likely to work...Our plan is to do an egg retrieval and freeze for future use with frozen embryo transfer.
There are three facilities in the area [for Dominion Fertility] and only the Arlington office is available for weekend and holiday monitoring. Arlington starts at 6:30 during the week and the other two offices start at 7. You will have to pay for parking at the Bethesda office. Strengths: they get you in and out in a timely manner. Weaknesses: appointment options can be limited if you need an early appointment.
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Every question was always answered. She provided very detailed explanations of every process. I met with her at every visit. She examined me at every visit. She did not hesitate in recommending we move on to IVF given our diagnoses. She did not waste our time or money with interventions that were not likely to work.
Bring questions that you have and write them down before appointments.
Dr. Sarajari is the only doctor to see me at this practice. She is thorough and provides information regarding every step of the process.
I am just starting my first IVF cycle with Dr. Sarajari. Our plan is to do an egg retrieval and freeze for future use with frozen embryo transfer. I will have a couple of weeks on birth control pills to get my body back to baseline before starting the medications needed to do the transfer. She supported my and my husband’s decision to have him freeze sperm prior to starting secondary to him having extremely low normal morphology. We wanted to make sure there some good ones available prior to my surgery.
Our care coordinator is excellent. She is always available by email or phone. She updates us on test results promptly. She is empathetic to our needs and concerns.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
There are three facilities in the area and only the Arlington office is available for weekend and holiday monitoring. Arlington starts at 6:30 during the week and the other two offices start at 7. You will have to pay for parking at the Bethesda office. Strengths: they get you in and out in a timely manner. Weaknesses: appointment options can be limited if you need an early appointment.
$10,000. This included out of pocket max that remained for the year, as well as a few items that were not covered by insurance.
For our age we will be doing a single embryo transfer. I am 31, so I support this plan.
Bethesda

He [Dr. Dimattina] almost always only does single embryo transfers...is very knowledgeable and explained everything in person. I cried during our testing results appt and he immediately stopped, asked how I was doing, and if we wanted to stop and whether I wanted to come back...After our testing results appt, Dr D told us to call him with any questions. We called him a few days later...called me back only a few minutes later. I also was able conference call my husband into the call and Dr D. answered all of our additional questions.
Everyone in the office [of Dominion Fertility] were friendly and welcoming. Very personable and they all seem to genuinely care about you...our current plan is to do traditional IVF with our own eggs and sperm...Holli is my primary point of contact...She's my nurse and will be there with us through the whole process. I'm able to contact her via the phone or email and so far she's been great...There's only metered street parking, but there are tons of spaces so you don't have to worry about driving around the block multiple times. The clinic itself is clean, updated, and modern. The receptionists are very helpful and there are dedicated financial coordinators who are there to deal with all of the insurance and payment stuff.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Dr D is very knowledgeable and explained everything in person. I cried during our testing results appt and he immediately stopped, asked how I was doing, and if we wanted to stop and whether I wanted to come back. He is not an overly emotional dr, but I didn't want that. I wanted and needed someone who could show compassion but also focus on the plan and the future and that's exactly what he does.
It's ok to be nervous going into the appt and to be overwhelmed with all of the information you're getting. After our testing results appt, Dr D told us to call him with any questions. We called him a few days later and recalled me back only a few minutes later. I also was able conference call my husband into the call and Dr D. answered all of our additional questions.
Everyone in the office from the receptionist to Dr Dimattina were friendly and welcoming. Very personable and they all seem to genuinely care about you.
We're still early in the process but our current plan is to do traditional IVF with our own eggs and sperm. I'll be starting the injections soon. I have low ovarian reserve despite my age, so we're doing this as soon as possible to get as many good eggs from me as possible. My husband's sperm has morphology issues so we'll probably end up doing ICSI. Dr D only does FET because the outcomes are much better than the fresh embryo transfers, and we'll be doing PGS since my ovarian reserve is low. I'll be sure to update as I progress through everything.
Holli is my primary point of contact with Dr D's office. She's my nurse and will be there with us through the whole process. I'm able to contact her via the phone or email and so far she's been great.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
We're lucky that our insurance covers infertility treatment. They do all of the pre-authorizing and tell us what is and is not covered by insurance.
He almost always only does single embryo transfers, I think they are very rare cases where he might do multiple. With the technology today, especially the PGS there isn't the need to do multiple with the hope that at least one will take.
Arlington

If you're the kind of patient who wants your hand held and wants to understand in detail every step of this process, he [Dr. Dimattina] may not be your guy...We only got 1 PGT-A normal embryo in the first cycle, so we did another one...Despite repeated attempts, Dr. D. consistently refused to answer questions specific to my case. When I would ask, he would either resort to flattering platitudes or tout his own expertise, but he would not give me details when I was trying to better understand my own treatment.
I love the clinic [Dominion Fertility] as a whole. It's very convenient, clean, easy to schedule appointments, and organized. I feel very well taken care of by all of the staff...All of the nurses I have dealt with have been very competent and compassionate. There is only one nurse who is not very good at drawing blood, and I wince every time it's her turn because she has trouble doing it and it's very painful...During my first cycle, I was told three different numbers at various points regarding how many of my eggs were mature.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
I fully trust Dr. D's medical expertise - that is why we stayed with him when we had to do a second cycle. However, I found it incredibly frustrating that when I would ask specific questions about my case, like why do you think our results were below expectations, or why are you choosing the same medical protocol when it didn't work that well before, or how many follicles do you see (during a monitoring appointment), he would never give me specific answers and often seemed to take offense that I was asking questions at all, like I was questioning his ability or something.
If you're the kind of patient who wants your hand held and wants to understand in detail every step of this process, he may not be your guy.
I used an antagonist protocol with estrace starting on Day 19 before the IVF cycle, then 150 of Follistim and 150 of Menopur nightly until starting Ganirelex around mid-cycle. We only got 1 PGT-A normal embryo in the first cycle, so we did another one.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I love the clinic as a whole. It's very convenient, clean, easy to schedule appointments, and organized. I feel very well taken care of by all of the staff. I felt less like a fertility factory than Shady Grove.
Pretty efficiently run. I was usually in and out between 30-45 minutes.
I chose a package that included up to two retrievals (embryo banking) and up to two transfers as needed until a live birth. The total cost was around $28,000, which included the retrievals, all monitoring, ICSI, assisted hatching if needed. That cost did not include IVF meds ($5-9k), anesthesia for egg retrieval ($500), PGT-A testing ($150/embryo).
Arlington

[Dr. DiMattina] is very kind, calm, and confident. From the first time he came in to monitor me, he was asking me personal questions about my career and interests. He remembers details about those little things on each visit. He definitely exudes a command over these procedures, but does so in a very reassuring way...My egg retrieval went perfectly. Embryo fertilization went perfectly. My embryo transfer also went perfectly. I kept sharing with my friends and family that the entire process from the start of my cycle to the transfer was so straight forward and easy - which I did not expect it to be!
This clinic [Dominion Fertility] is wonderful. The offices and lobby are always neat and clean, and the waiting area is comfortable. The front desk staff will always greet you with kindness and a smile. Appointments are made very efficiently over the phone, and I have never been kept waiting past an appointment time before seeing the doctor. Billing is even around the corner and incredibly helpful - they will answer any and all questions you have about costs of treatment on the spot. If I had just one issue, and it's a slight one, it would be that you can almost never reach a nurse directly in real time - you'll have to leave a voicemail at the nurses' desk, and they will return your call. At times, this can take a few hours, but they never make you wait more than a day for a return call, so it's really a minor issue.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. DiMattina is, as I mentioned before, kind, calm, controlled and clearly an expert in his field. As he was monitoring my follicles for retrieval, he was able to assess almost instantly whether or not we were ready for the procedure. My egg retrieval went perfectly. Embryo fertilization went perfectly. My embryo transfer also went perfectly. I kept sharing with my friends and family that the entire process from the start of my cycle to the transfer was so straight forward and easy - which I did not expect it to be! I believe Dr. D played a huge role in that. I also believe that Dr. D genuinely is invested in helping families like ours create a life together, and although we weren't successful with this treatment, we intend to try again.
I would recommend that you try to allow yourself to trust that he will give you the information that you need, but if you want more details (like the size of your ovarian follicles on each visit, for example), you should ask him questions. I have no doubt that he is happy to answer them.
Dr. D is very kind, calm, and confident. From the first time he came in to monitor me, he was asking me personal questions about my career and interests. He remembers details about those little things on each visit. He definitely exudes a command over these procedures, but does so in a very reassuring way.
I was put on a daily dose of baby Aspirin to help with the lining of my uterus. Once our embryo was fertilized, I began taking supplemental progesterone and estradiol to prepare my body further for planned implantation. I also was to refrain from certain activities after my embryo transfer to attempt to secure implantation. The rationale for all of these is that combined, they offer the best possible chance for an embryo to implant into the uterus for pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Amy (called me the most))
I can't say enough about the incredible nursing staff and coordinators at Dominion Fertility Arlington. Every nurse at every visit is kind, friendly and eager to make you feel comfortable. Being poked with needles for blood draws and having sonograms every other day during follicle monitoring can be unpleasant, but the nurses remain positive and calm - and they all seem to know how to draw blood very delicately. I have always felt very comforted by the staff at Dominion.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
This clinic is wonderful. The offices and lobby are always neat and clean, and the waiting area is comfortable. The front desk staff will always greet you with kindness and a smile. Appointments are made very efficiently over the phone, and I have never been kept waiting past an appointment time before seeing the doctor. Billing is even around the corner and incredibly helpful - they will answer any and all questions you have about costs of treatment on the spot. If I had just one issue, and it's a slight one, it would be that you can almost never reach a nurse directly in real time - you'll have to leave a voicemail at the nurses' desk, and they will return your call. At times, this can take a few hours, but they never make you wait more than a day for a return call, so it's really a minor issue.
Monitoring appointments happen in the mornings every day of the week, starting slightly later on the weekends. You can come in anytime during the window of about three hours. They almost always see you within ten minutes of your arrival time, and I was never there more than 20 minutes or so. For my personal schedule (I work afternoons and nights), it is a little challenging because I must be in there before 9 AM, but for most people working in jobs during the day, I imagine it's a very convenient process.
Because Virginia doesn't have a mandate for fertility treatment coverage through health care, patients pay for all of treatments out of pocket. Prior to starting treatment, we did a mock embryo transfer and a water sonogram, which cost us a total of $650. Most everything that occurs during a Natural Cycle IVF treatment (monitoring, egg retrieval, semen collection, fertilization, embryo transfer, etc.) is covered under a package price of $4900. We also paid for assisted hatching of the embryo at $500. Anesthesia for the egg retrieval is an additional separate cost of $500, and then there is the cost of medications, which for us was around $300. All in all, our treatment cost us around $6850.
This particular question is not applicable to us for this treatment, because we did a Natural Cycle IVF (there was only one egg produced by my body naturally for retrieval).
Arlington

we used Natural Cycle IVF [with Dr. Kay Waud]- just my natural egg produced in a cycle without fertility medication prior...She spent so much more time discussing our test results [than previous doctor] and providing some new insights as to why we may be having trouble (particularly pertaining to some male infertility issues)...did not perform any of the major procedures in our Natural Cycle IVF treatment...my experience with her as a patient in consult and diagnostics was very positive.
Every nurse [at Dominion Fertility] at every visit is kind, friendly and eager to make you feel comfortable. Being poked with needles for blood draws and having sonograms every other day during follicle monitoring can be unpleasant, but the nurses remain positive and calm - and they all seem to know how to draw blood very delicately...Prior to starting treatment, we did a mock embryo transfer and a water sonogram, which cost us a total of $650. Most everything that occurs during a Natural Cycle IVF treatment (monitoring, egg retrieval, semen collection, fertilization, embryo transfer, etc.) is covered under a package price of $4900.
How was your experience with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Kay did not perform any of the major procedures in our Natural Cycle IVF treatment (Dr. DiMattina did that), but my experience with her as a patient in consult and diagnostics was very positive. She is clearly invested in the best possible outcomes for her patients, and was very candid about treatment options that she did not feel would be good for us (for example, IUI treatment because of our particular challenges would have been a wasted effort in her opinion). I felt very trusting of her opinions and recommendations.
Dr. Kay is extremely thorough, and I feel compassionate and kind, but I do think that some might perceive her to be a little bit colder at first conversation. I don't believe this is the case, but you might want to be prepared for that possibility as you consult with her. She will definitely answer your questions, listen to you, and provide you with as much information as you'd like.
Dr. Kay is extremely thorough in her consultations. Not only this, but a few years ago, I had a miscarriage, and she was the doctor to confirm it (even though she was not my primary doctor at Dominion at the time). I didn't immediately remember this, but she did and was very kind a compassionate about it. Our original doctor at Dominion had since left the practice, and Dr. Kay become our new primary. She spent so much more time discussing our test results and providing some new insights as to why we may be having trouble (particularly pertaining to some male infertility issues).
Baby Aspirin once a day to help the lining of my uterus, and then progesterone and estradiol once my embryo was fertilized prior to egg retrieval. Limited activities during the two week wait after transfer. These are all designed for the best possible outcome - successful implantation of the fertilized embryo.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
This does not apply to me because we used Natural Cycle IVF - just my natural egg produced in a cycle without fertility medication prior.
Arlington
Dr. DiMattina was very competent and confident - it's what attracted us to him during our initial consult. He's been doing this a very long time and has had great success. ... On multiple occasions I felt he didn't take the time to listen to me (one time I had a list of questions prepared because I was afraid he would dismiss me - and he was in such a rush he told me to ask them while he was giving me a vaginal ultrasound.
Dominion is a very large clinic with so many patients that we rarely saw the same nurse/clinical staff. ... Seeing so many different people it was hard to build a rapport/trust with any of them. I also feel like they didn't read my file and some were oblivious when interacting with me. ... They didn't have a good system that ensured my emails/calls were answered in a timely manner.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. DiMattina was very competent and confident - it's what attracted us to him during our initial consult. He's been doing this a very long time and has had great success. He assured us he could help us have a healthy baby. What followed lead us to leave this practice and start treatment at another clinic. On multiple occasions I felt he didn't take the time to listen to me (one time I had a list of questions prepared because I was afraid he would dismiss me - and he was in such a rush he told me to ask them while he was giving me a vaginal ultrasound. He was in the room for less than 2 minutes, didn't fully answer my questions and then ran out. I balled for about 10 minutes in the room before emerging. To his credit, when I confronted the nurse and said my questions hadn't been sufficiently answered, he called me that afternoon to discuss. I felt like he had a protocol that he would use for each patient and wasn't willing to consider that bodies and people are different. I didn't have the confidence that I would receive the individualized care needed to move on to IVF.
I would say that you need to advocate for yourself and be prepared to let him know when you're unhappy.
Dominion is a very large clinic with so many patients that we rarely saw the same nurse/clinical staff. Depending on the day, I wouldn't necessarily see Dr. Dimattina either. Seeing so many different people it was hard to build a rapport/trust with any of them. I also feel like they didn't read my file and some were oblivious when interacting with me.
We had to do 6 cycles of IUI per our insurance requirement (not a recommended strategy for me since I have DOR). We did 3 cycles of ovarian stimulation (letrozole) and IUI and then 3 cycles of ovarian stim (letrozole) with timed intercourse. The 6th and final cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Dominion Fertility.
Communication was not a strong point for the nursing staff. I often felt unsure if I was supposed to email or call the office. They didn't have a good system that ensured my emails/calls were answered in a timely manner. I had to chase them down repeatedly. They were pleasant enough but a few times I received insensitive phone calls with misinformation because they didn't take the time to read my file. They also struggled to draw blood (and I would leave with 3-4 sticks sometimes... )

2018 - 2019, Consult
The nurses [at Dominion Fertility] were super friendly and worked to make sure we understood every next step...A lot of the testing is done off site and there are a lot of steps. There’s a lot of information to remember and they give you a packet, but more follow ups would be helpful...Dr. Gordon seemed really busy and we felt ever so slightly rushed through our first appointment but only because we had so many questions. I didn’t like that he seemed to have a “default method” that would have required useless sperm testing for my husband (confirmed by a second opinion from a urologist)...Ask all your questions while you have him in the room!...listened to our challenges and unique scenario as I am fertile but the issues lie with my husband.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Ask all your questions while you have him in the room!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Gordon listened to our challenges and unique scenario as I am fertile but the issues lie with my husband.
Describe the protocols John David Gordon used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
TBD- haven’t begun full cycle
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Dominion Fertility.
The nurses were super friendly and worked to make sure we understood every next step
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Expensive and not covered by United health care insurance. A lot of the testing is done off site and there are a lot of steps. There’s a lot of information to remember and they give you a packet, but more follow ups would be helpful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility.
Still under treatment. Diagnostic tests alone were a couple hundred dollars I think
Describe John David Gordon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
Na
Fairfax

Dr Kay was there with a hug and willing to help me move forward in any way that I wanted to... I also struggle with extreme anxiety and Dr Kay understood that and always made sure to calm my fears... I went to her thinking I had a bicornuate uterus and I had no idea why I wasn’t getting pregnant. It didn’t take her long to realize I actually had a septate uterus. She performed surgery to fix it and I got pregnant on my first FET.
I went to Dominion’s Fair Oaks office and had the pleasure of working with Christina and Lisa. They are both amazing! They always kept me calm and were there to answer any questions I had...Doninion does have a variety of [cost] packages to choose from which is helpful...offices are wonderful! Clean, modern and up to date technology. They keep up with all the latest research and science. I was seen mostly at the Fair Oaks office but also had some treatments at the Arlington location.
How was your experience with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Dr Kay is an amazing Dr and I would recommend her to anyone struggling with infertility. I went to her thinking I had a bicornuate uterus and I had no idea why I wasn’t getting pregnant. It didn’t take her long to realize I actually had a septate uterus. She performed surgery to fix it and I got pregnant on my first FET. Unfortunately I miscarried my first two babies. Dr Kay was there with a hug and willing to help me move forward in any way that I wanted to. I am currently 14 weeks pregnant with my little girl! I also struggle with extreme anxiety and Dr Kay understood that and always made sure to calm my fears. I can’t say enough good things about this Dr. She is truly one in a million!
Ask Dr Kay any questions you have regarding treatment. She is very upfront and honest.
Dr Kay is extremely personable and always remembered every detail of my case.
Since my infertility was really just due to the septate uterus my egg retrieval and transfers were pretty standard I think.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Dominion’s offices are wonderful! Clean, modern and up to date technology. They keep up with all the latest research and science. I was seen mostly at the Fair Oaks office but also had some treatments at the Arlington location.
Well, IVF isn’t cheap! Doninion does have a variety of packages to choose from which is helpful, but between your package, additional testing and medication it adds up quick!
At Doninion they will only transfer one embryo at a time. At first I thought maybe it would be nice to have twins but now I’m reallh glad that one at a time is their policy.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
His [Dr. Michael DiMattina] bedside manner is very blunt, and he seemed personally offended by any questions I had about the process, like he expected me to have blind faith since he was the expert. I understand that he is, but strongly feel given the nature of this science, patients will have questions and it’s only professional to answer them willingly. I am by no means a pushy person, but he made me feel I was by rolling his eyes when I’d ask questions or sarcastically saying things like, “someone’s been doing research.” He told us many times that he’d “get me pregnant” and when that didn’t happen, he just kept repeating that most people do; he seemed more frustrated than compassionate and didn’t have much to offer in terms of how we might do things differently.
I like the clinic [Dominion Fertility] a lot. It’s a nice facility that is easy to get to with ample parking. The financial counselor is clear and upfront about costs, and she has been very helpful with communicating with the insurance company on my behalf. I have never had a billing issue. Appointments run on schedule. My calls and emails are always returned that day, and the nursing staff and IVF coordinators are wonderful people. The clinic does have fairly rigid rules about only doing frozen transfers and they almost mandate PGS testing. This may not work for all patients.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
His bedside manner is very blunt, and he seemed personally offended by any questions I had about the process, like he expected me to have blind faith since he was the expert. I understand that he is, but strongly feel given the nature of this science, patients will have questions and it’s only professional to answer them willingly. I am by no means a pushy person, but he made me feel I was by rolling his eyes when I’d ask questions or sarcastically saying things like, “someone’s been doing research.” He told us many times that he’d “get me pregnant” and when that didn’t happen, he just kept repeating that most people do; he seemed more frustrated than compassionate and didn’t have much to offer in terms of how we might do things differently.
I would say have a very thick skin and be prepared to advocate for yourself.
He personally called to give me the news after both transfers, which I appreciated. His manner is brusque, and he said to me many times that he would have expected me to be pregnant by now as most of their patients are within two transfers. He seemed frustrated that I fell outside what works for the rest of the practice, but he didn’t offer many suggestions of things to do differently for me next time.
I was on the antagonist protocol for both IVF cycles. I do not know the rationale for this, but it seems to be a common protocol. I ended up with one genetically normal embryo from each retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jen Machovina)
The nursing staff is compassionate, organized, friendly, and helpful. I loved all of them.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I like the clinic a lot. It’s a nice facility that is easy to get to with ample parking. The financial counselor is clear and upfront about costs, and she has been very helpful with communicating with the insurance company on my behalf. I have never had a billing issue. Appointments run on schedule. My calls and emails are always returned that day, and the nursing staff and IVF coordinators are wonderful people. The clinic does have fairly rigid rules about only doing frozen transfers and they almost mandate PGS testing. This may not work for all patients.
Most monitoring appointments were fairly quick, and I was able to get to work on time afterwards. On weekends they took longer because only one of their three clinics is open on weekends and it wold be more crowded because of that. Still though, it wasn’t bad.
I was lucky enough to have insurance coverage at 60% with a $2500 out of pocket max.This means I paid that plus fees to have embryos genetically tested and stored.
My doctor would only transfer one genetically tested embryo at a time, which I was comfortable with.
Arlington

Dr. Gordon comes out to greet you in the waiting room. He understands that we are seeking answers and options and he is clear about his expectations. I never felt that he didn't take my concerns seriously or that he did not understand how difficult it is to start to try and conceive again after having a stillborn a year ago.... Dr. Gordon's hopeful and optimistic attitude combined with his frankness when describing expectations and risks was very much appreciated. I wanted to feel like he understood and cared about my history and that any course of treatment that he prescribed was carefully tailored to my case.
Arlington location [Dominion Fertility] - clean, nice relaxing environment, modern, organized. Receptionists are kind and not rude, which is HUGE. I feel that so many times, doctors' offices have rude receptionists. The wait time is relatively insignificant... [Nursing Staff] Very nice and very responsive over email, which is good for me, especially during the business hours. If I ask a question over email before 2pm, I can expect an answer same day. They are all pleasant in person and seem to run a tight ship.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Even though we are dealing with the stressful topic of infertility after having a stillborn, Dr. Gordon's hopeful and optimistic attitude combined with his frankness when describing expectations and risks was very much appreciated. I wanted to feel like he understood and cared about my history and that any course of treatment that he prescribed was carefully tailored to my case. So far, 3 rounds of letrozole/novarel/timed intercourse failed and we are hopefully to do IVF once we get tests and finances straightened out. I will be nervous, of course, given that I have lost a son at 32 weeks due to unknown causes. I appreciated that he was direct and confident in his approach and very knowledgeable. As someone who is seeking answers, he has done his best to give us answers to the extent that he could and if he couldn't, he would explain why. As for a con, I wish I could have more time to ask more questions and talk to him more about my concerns. It's not like he rushes us out, but I think consultations should be longer than 30 minutes.
write down all the questions you have ahead of time. Be informed about your own case and be your own advocate.
After being dx'ed with lean PCOS, he prescribed Metformin, which I didn't want to take/didn't tolerate too much. He said I could stop taking it if that was the case; I am not insulin resistant. I took Letrozole from days 5-9 of my cycle, then we would do u/s monitoring and then take Novarel to force ovulation. We did this timed intercourse for three months, which did not work for us for whatever reason. His advice was that we should try a different approach after 3 times of trying this, and I agree. He also knew that as someone who had a stillborn, I am not able to handle the disappointment each month and I would not want to be trying w/o success (or likelihood of success) each month w/o a plan. We discussed IUI and IVF options; he didn't push either. We chose IVF. We start next cycle.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Arlington location - clean, nice relaxing environment, modern, organized. Receptionists are kind and not rude, which is HUGE. I feel that so many times, doctors' offices have rude receptionists. The wait time is relatively insignificant.
$600 so far for 3 rounds of letrozole/novarel/progesterone pills
Dr. Gordon does not encourage multiple embryo transfer because it is more high risk. I agree with this approach. After suffering a major loss, I do not want to add more risk to pregnancy -- something that is riskier than I had ever expected.
Arlington

Dr. Waud is very on top of recent research...One thing I most appreciated about her is she gave me her phone number, and I could text and speak with her directly and immediately about any concerns...I think Dr. Waud would agree that our case turned out to be more complicated than it appeared, resulting in a misdiagnosis which ultimately led us to change clinics...She also teaches at a med school, and she has very clear views on the science of reproductive challenges, which she communicates very clearly.
[The nurses at Dominion Fertility were] All great, sweet women. I had a missed miscarriage which showed itself in a monitoring ultrasound, and in retrospect I could not have been surrounded by nicer people...When we were transferring to the next clinic, we requested our medical records. A crucial report showing the karyotype of our miscarriage was left out of this paperwork, and it took a lot of back and forth and non-responsiveness to resolve.
How was your experience with Kay Waud at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Waud is very on top of recent research. She also teaches at a med school, and she has very clear views on the science of reproductive challenges, which she communicates very clearly. One thing I most appreciated about her is she gave me her phone number, and I could text and speak with her directly and immediately about any concerns. I have seen two other doctors since then, neither of whom provided that. Unforunately, science does not always match what happens in human existence, and I think Dr. Waud would agree that our case turned out to be more complicated than it appeared, resulting in a misdiagnosis which ultimately led us to change clinics.
Ask her to go over all details of your case with a fine tooth comb, examining all contingencies, and not necessarily deciding that the simple answer is the best answer.
Dr. Waud is definitely empathetic. We’ve been through several losses, which was not something she was dismissive of. We experienced one loss and one hysteroscopy under her care, and her bedside manner at surgery was the mix of humane and confident that I want in those stressful situations.
We arrived at Dr. Waud’s office having already lost one single and one twin naturally conceived pregnancy. Dr. Waud thought there was a good independent explanation for each, but nonetheless order some other diagnostic testing. She thought none looked indicative of an inability conceive and carry, so we were sent on our way to try on our own. While we did conceive again relatively quickly, this too resulted in another karyotypically normal loss. To Dr. Waud’s credit, she seemed as sad and stumped by this as we were.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The waiting room is beautiful, as are all the facilities. The billing folks are not super clear, but having encountered others at other clinics, that seems to be par for the course. I saw Dr. Waud for every step - consultations, diagnostic testing, and, unfortunately, D&C and follow-up hysteroscopy procédures.
Our costs ended up being all diagnostic or pregnancy related, and therefore we had pretty good insurance coverage.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
I think he’s a good doctor. Very caring and he’s tried as much as I think he can at this point. He’s been empathetic with us and has met with us to discuss our options. He doesn’t seem like he’s in it only for the money and is invested in us being successful with whatever decision we choose.... Dr. Gordon explained that I may want to consider other avenues (child-free, adoption or donor egg) since we were spending so much money and time and not getting the results that we wanted.
I like the clinic [Dominion Fertility]. It’s easy to get to and it’s clean. I like the Arlington clinic for aesthetics only. They’re very organized and I like that the staff a talk to each other so it’s less chance of miscommunication.... The monitoring appointments are scheduled during convenient hours when you’re typically on your way to work. I’ve never seen more than 2 women waiting to be seen here. Everything is kept confidential and sign-in and sign-out is easy.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Ask a lot of questions and come prepared with options to try.
Dr. Gordon explained that I may want to consider other avenues (child-free, adoption or donor egg) since we were spending so much money and time and not getting the results that we wanted. I appreciated him saying this, but I also think I was in the right headspace to receive it unlike before when another fertility doctor said the exact same thing.
Tried stimulating me even though my prognosis was that I wouldn’t be a high responder. I wish we hadn’t wasted the time and money on this and tried the other option which was a modified natural IVF. This would help to control my early ovulation. The modified cycle produced one egg, but it wasn’t viable. The stimulated treatment didn’t produce any egg in my follicle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christina)
The nursing staff here is amazing!! Hey really take the time out to educate you on the treatment, how to administer the treatment, and just being very personable.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I like the clinic. It’s easy to get to and it’s clean. I like the Arlington clinic for aesthetics only. They’re very organized and I like that the staff a talk to each other so it’s less chance of miscommunication.
For the stimulated IVF, it was around $24,000. For the modified IVF, it was the same cost as the natural cycle at around $5,000, but with increased cost of meds which wasn’t covered by my insurance for over $1,000. Consultation visits were $250/visit.
Dr. Gordon said he’d only transfer one depending on my age.
Fairfax

Dr. Gordon was very warm and understanding during the process, but provided us with a frank assessment of our situation and potential courses of action.... Dr. Gordon is an excellent fit who will show empathy to those who need it. Our process was particularly difficult because my partner and I had experienced a stillbirth following difficulties becoming pregnant. Dr. Gordon did not shy away from referencing our history and showed sympathy for our situation in addition to factoring it into our treatment.
The clinic [Dominion Fertility] is very clean and well-organized. The staff is very professional and they have a nice large waiting room. It is a comfortable place to receive treatment. They have available clinic hours for weekend visits to obtain certain treatments or tests. The place seems well-run and we have never had to wait too long to be seen. Sometimes there has been no wait at all. Scheduling appointments has been easy and hassle-free.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Gordon has been very helpful and understanding for us throughout the process, and I have trusted the medical advice he has provided and the course of treatments he has recommended. He has been supportive and has given us good advice that enabled us to make an informed decision in deciding whether to continue with IUI treatments or to move on to more aggressive treatment measures, such as IVF.
Dr. Gordon recommended a 3 month course of IUI given that we had solid and healthy fertility factors for our age (I'm 38 and my partner is 37). After that was not successful, he allowed us to make an informed decision as to whether to pursue more aggressive (and more expensive options). I appreciate that I did not feel any pressure from him to pursue the more aggressive option. He presented the options and let us make the decision.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Dominion Fertility.
The nursing staff was very prepared and professional at all times. They were helpful in answering questions they were able to answer, and telling us which questions should be directed to the doctor.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The clinic is very clean and well-organized. The staff is very professional and they have a nice large waiting room. It is a comfortable place to receive treatment. They have available clinic hours for weekend visits to obtain certain treatments or tests. The place seems well-run and we have never had to wait too long to be seen. Sometimes there has been no wait at all. Scheduling appointments has been easy and hassle-free.
It was a few hundred dollars for our first few rounds of IUI. We are considering options for IVF that range from about $16,000 to $26,000.