Duke Fertility Center

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
5704 Fayetteville Road
Durham, NC 27713
919-572-4673
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Duke Fertility Center to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
One of the clinic's [Duke Fertility Center] strengths is I think they are cognizant of the costs associated with fertility treatments and try to find ways to help keep the patient's costs down whenever possible. Additionally, the staff is very nice. However, at times the front desk staff can seem a little disorganized.... Dr. Hurd's nurse, KC has been helpful during the process. She has been good at responding to phone calls and emails. She is a good compliment to Dr. Hurd's "bed side" manner.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
One of the clinic's strengths is I think they are cognizant of the costs associated with fertility treatments and try to find ways to help keep the patient's costs down whenever possible. Additionally, the staff is very nice. However, at times the front desk staff can seem a little disorganized.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
While Dr. Hurd is extremely knowledgeable, his "bedside" manner is lacking. He provides a lot of information during each consultation visit, but is very clinical in his delivery which can be difficult for a non-medical person to understand or absorb. It is especially difficult when you are very new to the fertility process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: KC)
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Hurd has a wealth of information due to the number of years he has been practicing, but I feel he lacks the ability to connect or empathize with his patients. During my appointments, his delivery of information has always been very clinical. With such a very sensitive and emotional experience dealing with fertility issues, I would prefer if he could be more compassionate and empathic. It would also be helpful to have a clear and concise summary of what was discussed as well as any follow-up instructions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
I would recommend bringing someone with to each consultation so they can help take in all of the information provided during appointments. If you are able, I would also advise taking notes during the appointments. Additionally, research as much as possible before the appointments so you can advocate for yourself. I have found that Dr. Hurd is open to suggestions.
Describe the protocols William Hurd used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
After being diagnosed with unexplained fertility, Dr. Hurd initially presented several IUI and IVF options. He outlined the benefits and drawbacks of each option including estimated costs. Since my husband and I were new to the fertility process and due to the lower initial cost, we elected to try IUI with Clomid and Ovidrel trigger shot. While I was provided with a lot of information concerning the IUI process for each cycle, I felt some of the basic information (when to test for ovulation) was left out. To date we have only tried one IUI cycle which did not result in a pregnancy.
PCOS, Unexplained
Extremely poor internal communication. I understand this clinic [Duke Fertility Ctr] sees a lot of patients, but they really need to get their processes in place. The first thing they tell you when beginning IVF is that you need to try not to stress. I didn't even feel very stressed throughout the process, except when I had to visit the office. They messed up time after time, making me so upset and stressed.... They do not give great medication instructions. When you are sent 3 different needles, it would be great to know which one goes with which medication.
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Extremely poor internal communication. I understand this clinic sees a lot of patients, but they really need to get their processes in place. The first thing they tell you when beginning IVF is that you need to try not to stress. I didn't even feel very stressed throughout the process, except when I had to visit the office. They messed up time after time, making me so upset and stressed. My husband and I eventually sat down with the office manager, because we could not believe the amount of issues that had piled up, everything from wrong financial information, to prescription issues, to having my records wrong, to not even looking at my records. It's also important to know, I have had a positive pregnancy test, and I'm waiting for my first ultrasound, but even with that result, I would never want to recommend this clinic to anyone and have them deal with the stress the staff put me through.
I only saw Dr. Hurd at the initial consult, and then again during my egg retrieval. I probably saw about 15 other staff during my IVF cycle, and they usually didn't seem to remember who I was or didn't bother to read my charts.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Amanda)
At my first nurses appointment, I thought Amanda was great, and then all went downhill after that. I had issue after issue trying to get my medications, when she needed to provide information to the pharmacy. I actually had to have my husband go into the office, and then I had to go in myself, because phone calls weren't resolving the issues. She also called in a wrong medication, but she did at least fix that situation, and got the pharmacy to return it. When I would leave messages with questions for Amanda, she would always return my phone call within a few hours, however, half the time she didn't even look at my chart or ask the doctor questions when she did not know the answer. For example, when I went off birth control, and I was starting my cycle, she told me that shouldn't happen, and then she called back the next day and said she had checked with the doctor, and that it was actually OK. She also continued to instruct me to use a medication that I wasn't prescribed, rather than changing my chart.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Hurd seems like a very kind, knowledgeable doctor during the consult. However, he recommended we do regular insemination, and then that changed to 50 regular/50 ICSI, and then we were told that really the best case was all ICSI. We wanted the best outcome, and were very confused as to why this changed 3 times during our process.
You will rarely see Dr. Hurd, so during your consult, really take the time to ask ALL the questions you have.
We were first recommended to do regular insemination, then that was changed to 50 ICSI/50 regular, and then all ICSI. We did a regular IVF cycle, which resulted in retrieving 24 eggs, and 5 made it to the blastocyst stage. 1 was transferred, and a positive pregnancy test was confirmed. It's only been 5 weeks so it is still early to know the final result.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center.
Under my husband's insurance we had a discounted flat rate, and this is why we had to use Duke. 50% off all medications, medications totaled around $4,000. IVF cycle (including monitoring, egg retrieval, transfer) = $4500 and additional $450 to wait until Day 5.
Describe William Hurd's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
Multiple embryo transfer was not even discussed for me. I don't believe that Dr. Hurd or the clinic would do this for someone under 35, unless they really did not see 1 being successful.
Durham
Scheduling an appointment [at Duke fertility] isn't terribly hard, depending on what you need. But my biggest complaint is wait time for blood draws -- waiting an hour+ for something that takes &lt;5 minutes is a terrible waste of my time. The office staff is friendly and helpful, though...I started seeing Dr. Price for recurrent loss. He ran a slew of tests, more than most doctors seem to, and gave me options for further testing. Due to some of my numbers, we tried Femara/Letrozole for 1 cycle (had a CP) and Clomid for another (had an ectopic). Our next plan of attack is Clomid again.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Scheduling an appointment isn't terribly hard, depending on what you need. But my biggest complaint is wait time for blood draws -- waiting an hour+ for something that takes &lt;5 minutes is a terrible waste of my time. The office staff is friendly and helpful, though.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Price is a bit socially awkward and is very blunt/direct...but he cares. He gets to know you, asks about other parts of your life, takes those into consideration in his treatment, and responds quickly and thoroughly. He will reply 1000 times to questions. And genuinely seems to care if we succeed.
The nurses all seem caring and knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
I wrote this above, but I think he genuinely cares. He may not be the most sensitive man when it comes to speaking, and can be very blunt. But he knows what he's talking about and is thorough. He's good at explaining issues, reasons, medications, and treatment plans. And he's usually quick to respond (and will respond to a ton of questions, even if he may think they're silly). He gives pros and cons, laying out options and helping you understand them, but lets you make decisions about your own care when there is a choice to be made. He hasn't been pushy about treatments and has been caring when I have experienced loss.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Understand that his personality might not meet your needs, and that is fine. He is a bit socially awkward and seems to have an all-absorbing interest his field -- but that interest and knowledge is why I like him. He knows his stuff but may not have the "bedside manner" that some people need/want.
Describe the protocols Thomas Price used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center.
This is very different with insurances, so I can't say specifics.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Because Duke is a teaching hospital, I see the fellows more often than I see Dr. Eaton....I feel the nursing staff are compassionate, and helpful. I've been able to call the nursing lines during IVF and IUI and get answers to my questions within a reasonable amount of time....The clinic repeated told me that I would be scheduled for IVF in October 2016 until the week before I was scheduled to start the cycle (meds already ordered) when I was informed that the doctors were all going to a conference and 3 weeks were blacked out for IVF....
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
This clinic practices evidence based medicine and overall, i think they provide quality care. The front desk staff are great. The fellows are great, especially Dr. Acharya and Dr. Keyhan. However, the clinic weaknesses are related to being very busy, impersonal, seeming to have high turnover of nursing staff, and not assisting patients enough with coordination of care leading up to cycles. I've also had many issues with billing problems and insurance not being billed properly, so I have to micromanage that as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Because Duke is a teaching hospital, I see the fellows more often than I see Dr. Eaton. And my retrievals and transfers have been done by various doctors in the practice, although Dr. Eaton manages my care. The fellows are generally warmer and more friendly than the doctors, and since this process is extremely stressful, expensive, and emotional, I don't always feel like Dr. Eaton is sensitive to that as much as I'd like her to be. However, I also feel like I've received good care from her medically. The other difficulty of this clinic is that it is very busy, and the patient really needs to be on top of their own care or it's easy to miss cycles because you don't have all your paperwork, labs, meds, etc. in order. The clinic does not give patients enough support with that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: I've worked with several nurses, but the IVF team has one person who primarily manages those patients)
In general, I feel the nursing staff are compassionate, and helpful. I've been able to call the nursing lines during IVF and IUI and get answers to my questions within a reasonable amount of time. The one thing that I wish they would do better is to be more organized in telling patients all of the things that they need to have in place before starting cycles. Between resigning consent forms, tests, ordering meds, and having donor shipment forms signed, it seems like every cycle there is something missing that results in a stressful period of running to the clinic to sign forms that i didn't know I was missing. I've also missed several cycles due to issues with not having documents ready, meds ordered in time (because I wasn't told when I needed them and didn't know enough to proactively manage the clinic staff), or because the clinic had blacked out dates for IVF but didn't communicate this with patients until I was about to start a new cycle. That has been very frustrating.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Eaton is very straight-forward and patient and willing to explain all of the medical information clearly and in detail. She presented us with options, listened to our concerns, didn't pressure us into treatments but was clear about what she felt was the most likely to work. That said, I had a few occasions where I felt like I would have liked a more compassionate response from her, especially when it came to missed cycles due to clinic issues.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
I'm not sure.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Eaton used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I had previously undergone letrazole+trigger shot IUI for about 6 cycles with an OBGYN, so when I started seeing Dr. Eaton, she recommended trying min stim (150 menopur) IUI. We did that for about 3 cycles (she recommended going to IVF sooner, but for scheduling and financial reasons, we had to put that off). Then moved to IVF. The first IVF, I started with 300 gonal f/150 menopur and after 5 days, increased to 375 gonal f/150 menopur. I think retrieval was on day 11ish. They got 18 eggs, about half fertilized, and 5 made it to day 3. 2 of those were low quality, so Dr. Eaton transferred all 5 eggs (rationale was that the 2 low quality would not survive freezing so choice was to transfer to dispose of them). Resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I am doing the second IVF cycle now. Started with 375 gonal f/150 menopur and then reduced to 300 gonal f/150 menopur on day 5. similar timing for retrieval. This time, they got 12 eggs (but more were mature than 1st IVF), 6 fertilized and grew to day 3. Transferred 3 and froze 3. I saw Dr. Price at the transfer, so we talked through options for how many to transfer vs. freeze. This seemed like the best approach to both me and Dr. Price. Waiting for result of transfer now.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center.
IUI meds plus treatment (with insurance) cost about $4000-5000 per cycle, I think. IVF meds cost about $6000 and cycle with my insurance cost $4800. Although, I spent the past 3 months fighting with Duke Medicine over a $15000 bill for IVF because my insurance was improperly registered in their system, and my claims were being rejected.
Describe Jennifer Eaton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
Dr. Eaton recommended transferring 3 embryos prior to starting IVf, due to my age and the fact that I was okay doing selective reduction. That said, I was a little nervous about the 5 embryo transfer, but I trusted that Dr. Eaton is conservative and doesn't have a high multiples rate, so she was advising us well.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Immunological
I never wanted more than a single embryo transfer. This clinic [Duke Fertility Center] follows the guidelines, so it may not be the best for someone who wants twins or is willing to get OHSS for more eggs...The IVF nurses are all really good. They answer emails and respond to phone calls really quickly and are super sweet. Whenever I asked to talk to a doctor they had someone call me ASAP and never seemed annoyed...IVF was not covered, so my first cycle was about $15K and my second cycle with PGS testing was closer to $20K. With copays, acupuncture, supplements, counseling, etc., I'm sure we spent $40K.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Overall, I think the clinic was really good. I could always get an appointment pretty quickly (within a week usually), and they are usually very prompt and I never had to wait long to see a doctor at my appointments. The nurses and technical staff are very smart and friendly. I didn't love the other doctors aside from mine, but you only have to see a different doctor if yours isn't there that day (i.e. weekend call). My biggest complaint about the clinic was the financial department - they really didn't seem to know or do much and even led me astray on some important things. But I was always very happy with my care and the quality of the lab for IVF.
Dr. Hurd is extremely warm and comforting and makes you feel like you are in really good hands. He is optimistic but honest about things. He always remembered my case and seemed to be truly disappointed when things didn't work out. I feel like he really wanted to see us be successful, and not just for the clinic's statistics. He even gave me the option of getting a second opinion after our second failed transfer, but he said he thought he learned a lot about my body and that we could be successful on another try (which we were). I felt like he treated me as an educated participant rather than a patient who didn't know anything. He sent me a personal letter congratulating us after we had our baby and was very happy to see our success story.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
I really liked Dr. Hurd since our first visit with him and throughout the 3 years we were at Duke Fertility. He is really warm and respectful and took all of my suggestions into consideration. He told me what to expect and was always there to answer questions (in person, phone, or email). He never seemed annoyed with my endless questions and he took all of my suggestions into real consideration. He always seemed very invested in helping us get pregnant.
I would say advocate for yourself and push for things to be more aggressive or faster if that is what you want. The pace was perfect for me, and I never wanted more than a single embryo transfer. This clinic follows the guidelines, so it may not be the best for someone who wants twins or is willing to get OHSS for more eggs. Also, do not blindly trust the financial office and be sure to double check everything with your insurance.
I started with Clomid to induce ovulation, which didn't work. Then we did injectables with IUI, but had to cancel two cycles (one because I ovulated too early and one because I did not respond). Then I did my first IVF cycle with Menopur and Cetrotide (no FSH alone because my LH is low so they thought I needed the extra LH from Menopur). We got 13 eggs, 3 embryos, and 2 negative pregnancy tests from that egg retrieval. My second IVF cycle used Menopur, low dose Gonal-F, and cetrotide, and was much more successful. We got 18 eggs, 12 blastocysts, 6 PGS normal embryos, and 1 beautiful little boy from that egg retrieval. We still have the other 5 genetically normal embryos in the freezer for future children.
IUIs were covered under my insurance, so they were copays of maybe $300 for 3 IUIs. IVF was not covered, so my first cycle was about $15K and my second cycle with PGS testing was closer to $20K. With copays, acupuncture, supplements, counseling, etc., I'm sure we spent $40K.
Dr. Hurd was pretty adamant that we only do eSETs with our 5-day blasts (they allow multiple embryo transfer with 3-day embryos). He follows the research and guidelines, which I always respected and appreciated. After two failed eSETs, he probably would have let us do 2 if we wanted, but we did PGS testing and he definitely would not have let us transfer 2 genetically tested embryos (nor would we have wanted to!).
Anovulation, Male Factor, Immunological
Overall, I think the clinic [Duke Fertility] is really good. You can always get an appointment pretty quickly (within a week usually), and they are usually very prompt and you never have to wait long to see a doctor at your appointment. The nurses and technical staff are very smart and friendly. I don't love the doctors aside from mine [Dr Hurd] , but you only have to see a different doctor if yours isn't there that day (i.e. weekend call). My biggest complaint about the clinic is the financial department. They really don't seem to know or do much and have even led me astray on some important things.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Overall, I think the clinic is really good. You can always get an appointment pretty quickly (within a week usually), and they are usually very prompt and you never have to wait long to see a doctor at your appointment. The nurses and technical staff are very smart and friendly. I don't love the doctors aside from mine, but you only have to see a different doctor if yours isn't there that day (i.e. weekend call). My biggest complaint about the clinic is the financial department. They really don't seem to know or do much and have even led me astray on some important things.
Dr. Hurd is extremely warm and comforting and makes you feel like you are in really good hands. He is optimistic but honest about things. He remembers my case and seems to be truly disappointed when things don't work out. I feel like he really wants to see us be successful, and not just for the clinic's statistics.
The IVF nurses (Ann and Ellen) are really good. They answer emails and respond to phone calls really quickly and are super sweet.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
I have really liked Dr. Hurd since our first visit with him over a year ago. He is really warm and respectful and takes all of my suggestions into consideration. He tells me what to expect and is always there to answer questions. He encourages me to send him emails and doesn't seem annoyed with my endless questions. He seems very invested in helping us get pregnant.
I would say advocate for yourself and push for things to be more aggressive or faster if that is what you want. Also, do not trust the financial office and be sure to double check everything with your insurance.
I started with Clomid to induce ovulation, which didn't work. Then we did injectables with IUI, but had to cancel two cycles (one because I ovulated too early and one because I did not respond). Then I did my first IVF cycle with Menopur and Cetrotide (no FSH alone because my LH is low so they thought I needed the extra LH from Menopur). Second IVF cycle is Menopur, Gonal-F, and cetrotide, but I can't say yet if it is more successful.
IUIs were covered under my insurance, so that was copays of maybe $300 for 3 IUIs. IVF is not covered, so my first cycle was about $15K and my second cycle with PGS testing will be over $20K.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
The staff [Duke Fertility Ctr] always returned phone calls with questions and concerns in a timely manner. The financial coordinator made sure we had the info from our insurance company with exactly what was covered and what wasn't.... The only thing I didn't like is we had to wait hours in the waiting room with no knowledge of we had embryos or how many the morning of transfer but I hear that other people from other places experienced the same on transfer day.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I always felt very confident in there knowledge and abilities. Everyone was friendly and if they didn't know the answer, they found someone who did. The staff always returned phone calls with questions and concerns in a timely manner. The financial coordinator made sure we had the info from our insurance company with exactly what was covered and what wasn't. She made sure we new exactly what we needed to get started and what the total cost was going to be. The staff was understanding and compassionate. The only thing I didn't like is we had to wait hours in the waiting room with no knowledge of we had embryos or how many the morning of transfer but I hear that other people from other places experienced the same on transfer day.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suheil Muasher at Duke Fertility Center?
He took the time to explain anything we didn't understand or wanted explained.
You get to know the nurses/staff very well because those are the people you see the most. With all the monitoring that's involved with IVF, these people are the front line and are a very important part of the process.
How was your experience with Suheil Muasher at Duke Fertility Center?
We went through a IVF cycle with a different clinic that only does frozen cycles, so they would freeze our embryos on day 5. The problem was our embryos didn't live past 3-4 days, so we had none to freeze. From the first consultation with Dr. Suheil Muasher we new that we were in the right place even if we weren't successful. It truly felt like a different experience then the first clinic. He reviewed our records from the first IVF cycle and thought it was best to do a fresh cycle, we agreed. We retrieved 13 eggs and only had 3 embryos on day 3 that weren't showing signs of deterioration. So we transferred those 3 on day 3. We had a vanishing twin that they never got a heart beat from and was no longer there after 7-8 weeks. We had one healthy baby, which is now our beautiful almost 2 year old daughter. We are more than thankful and felt a tremendous amount of pressure because that cycle was the last that our insurance would help pay for, we new it was our last chance! I tell any one who might be considering IVF about our experience and Dr. Muasher.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suheil Muasher at Duke Fertility Center?
Trust the process, this is what he does every day!
Describe the protocols Suheil Muasher used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We used 3 day embryos and transferred them on day 3 because in a past cycle, are embryos died on day 3-4. It proved to be the right decision.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suheil Muasher at Duke Fertility Center.
Suheil Muasher
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
They [nurses at Duke] were very nice...I didn't have to work with them that much other than walking me to the room, collecting blood, etc...The clinic strengths are very high as I felt they knew exactly what they were doing during my treatment. They're weaknesses were just moving me around so quickly that I felt there was not enough time to ask questions without feeling as if they were going to be bothered by another question. Also, sometimes I did not know what to ask or what are other options that could be cheaper...There is not anything that went specifically wrong, it's just having concern for people's needs because we as a couple are already stressed since were being told that we cannot be fruitful.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I always felt she cared during the stages of possibly going to IVF. However, as time past along, my husband and I were speaking about our options, how to possibly fund it, and whether this was the best plan of action. When I called and emailed her about a more affordable option of IVF, my call nor email was not responded to. Therefore, I felt as if she was not showing any empathy to our needs and wanting to know if this would be an option for us versus traveling to the doctor's office and paying another co-pay for a five minute conversation.
They were very nice...I didn't have to work with them that much other than walking me to the room, collecting blood, etc.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Her strengths are very organized and thorough. She knows exactly what should be the next steps as it relates to you. However, if patients have additional questions or concerns, I feel a return email should happen versus the patient coming in each time there is a question especially if University of Southern California is doing research on a cheaper option that your clinic offers. Her weaknesses is not having empathy when they are trying to decide best options along with financing IVF.
Respond to emails and voicemails.
After removing my right Fallopian tube based on complete blockage and inflammation, she determined that I had chronic endometriosis. Therefore, she recommended Lupron Depot to reduce the endometriosis and begin the fertility process with injections and IVF.
Over 10, 000 since I had to have a surgery.
I do not remember.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Didn't have medication dosage adjusted [at Duke] until I asked them to adjust it. Had doctor tell me one thing (natural conception success rate is 30% and husband's SA result is fine) but write a completely different thing in her notes (natural conception success rate would be 10% and husband's SA shows problems, but never ordered more testing for him or referral to urology)...The clinic is quick about seeing patients, but I feel like they cut corners in diagnosing causes of infertility. They don't care about the cause. They just get you on a standard plan of medicated cycles until eventually getting to IVF. I feel as if it is a "one-size-fits-all" plan of care.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Jennifer Eaton has a great bedside manner.
Nursing staff is ok. They are quick at getting people seen. Had a bad experience with a nurse doing phlebotomy - she prematurely ripped out the butterfly and stuck me in the finger with the needle, then had to poke me again for blood. Left bruising all over my arm.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
I feel like she had a plan in mind five minutes into our first appointment and did not defer from the course. She skips certain testing done at other clinics that is vital for information in diagnosing causes of infertility. My husband had poor SA results and I feel like it was dismissed without being addressed, she did not order another SA to confirm the poor result, nor refer him to a urologist. Feel like the plan is dead in the water until we give up and go on to IVF.
Do your research on what testing is done at other clinics to diagnose infertility causes and be sure she orders them.
2.5mg Letrozole with Ovidrel trigger
So far I've only had to pay $40 copays at appointments.
Durham
Front desk staff [at Duke]and very nice and have gotten to know my husband and me very well. I did have a bad experience with one of the nps in 2015, her bedside manner wasn't appropriate....I had medications that were called in twice and the pharmacy said I couldn't get them filled. Just confusing and a little frustrating....Organized Have a financial advisor Handouts Respond quickly...Approx $7500 out of pocket for first 2 rounds of iui with meds and all workup in 2015 Approx $650 for each iui cycle w/ meds
Organized Have a financial advisor Handouts Respond quickly
Dr. Muasher takes time to come in and talk with me even when he's not scheduled to see me. He came in on a Saturday for one of my ultrasounds to see it without really needing to be there. He is always compassionate and had a warm heart.
Front desk staff and very nice and have gotten to know my husband and me very well. I did have a bad experience with one of the nps in 2015, her bedside manner wasn't appropriate.... She want compassionate. She's no longer there.
What specific things went wrong at Duke Fertility Center?
How was your experience with Suheil Muasher at Duke Fertility Center?
He's genuine, kind and respectful. He takes time to hold my hand and reassure me. I met him in 2015, when my husband and I decided to start fertility treatments after a miscarriage in November 2013. Dr. Muasher takes time to meet with me anymore my husband to go over results and our plan. He called me personally to discuss my concerns.
Trust in him, he'll tailor your plan of care to what you need and what you feel comfortable with.
2015 Clomid 50mg days 3-7, follistim 75ui 8-10, times 2 .... failed IUI cycles 2017: 50 mg clomid, 75 gonalf days 8-10 =R- 20.5, 14, 19.5,13,11.5,10 3less L- 19,19,12 5 less 6.4 tri LH 4.22 E2 1751.02 ,... Failed IUI cycle Femera/75iu gonalf and iui cycle, only one large 26mm follicle, failed
Approx $7500 out of pocket for first 2 rounds of iui with meds and all workup in 2015 Approx $650 for each iui cycle w/ meds and visits in 2017... Insurance helps some now
Suheil Muasher
Durham
Everyone [at Duke] except for one nurse has been great. One nurse (I'm assuming she was a nurse) called on the day that I found out I was going to miscarry and had no empathy and was somewhat rude when she called to tell me after I had already spoke with a nurse who was much more caring. She was more concerned with getting my next appointment scheduled than the fact that I was being told I was going to miscarry...I have no insurance benefits due to my husband's vasectomy reversal so I am self pay for everything.
Dr. Hurd never seemed in a rush and always took whatever amount of time was needed in order to make sure all my questions were answered. He truly seems to care.
Everyone except for one nurse has been great. One nurse (I'm assuming she was a nurse) called on the day that I found out I was going to miscarry and had no empathy and was somewhat rude when she called to tell me after I had already spoke with a nurse who was much more caring. She was more concerned with getting my next appointment scheduled than the fact that I was being told I was going to miscarry.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Hurd was always very open and honest in a good way. He explained our options and we are now waiting for our next appointment to discuss starting our IVf journey since we have had 3 failed iui's. He shows compassion and seems to really care about his patients. When you are going through such a stressful day difficult time, it is nice to have someone who seems to truly care about you.
Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want and if there is something you don't understand, he will take the time to walk you through it.
During all of my iui's I took 50mg of clomid on cycle days 3-7. I would have my monitoring ultrasounds on the days that were necessary and then the insemination when it was suppose to be during my time of ovulation. I used ovidrel 250 as my trigger shot.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
We had to change our treatment time a couple of times due to Thanksgiving and Christmas time b/c the clinic [Duke] was closed and we could not go for testing. Therefore, we were told during those time to just try naturally and skip the IUI treatment. Despite high cost of medication we had to delay that and it is not fair at all.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I would say as big as Duke facility is, this clinic has no business to be closed on holidays and no lab or cycle needs to get wasted based on hours of operation. If Duke ER can be open 24-7 then this clinic should refer patients to Duke ER for further testing during holiday hours and when they are closed. We had to change our treatment time a couple of times due to Thanksgiving and Christmas time b/c the clinic was closed and we could not go for testing. Therefore, we were told during those time to just try naturally and skip the IUI treatment. Despite high cost of medication we had to delay that and it is not fair at all.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center.
I had to work with multiple nurses. At times it was confusing since so many people provided care for me.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Price is a very straight forward person. He is very serious in his practice. He rarely smiles but makes eye contact when needed. He only saw my husband and I twice and we had to deal with other doctors and nurses in the clinic.
He will remain professional and be straight forward with you but do not expect any warm and fuzzy feeling.
After the first visit we had with Dr. Price we had to deal with other doctors and nurses in the clinic for other testing and blood work and they adjust medication and dose.
At least 50% of cost of doctor visit and medication were covered by insurance and even despite that we have spent more than 10,000.00 and to continue with IVF or egg donor was impossible for us due to additional cost.
Durham
Very "clinic" , [Duke] no personal report building, has pictures of fruit on the wall and no babies.... and it's a fertility clinic. Parking is hard...This place just wasn't for me. I changed back to my original clinic (only went to Duke because of ins instruction) because the personal report with whole staff...Staff, especially in the lab had zero understanding of the medication you were taking for fertility, and there was no documentation so every other day i came in I had to list it. The nurses seemed to be "checked out". I had one phenomenal nurse that tended to me after egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Very "clinic" , no personal report building, has pictures of fruit on the wall and no babies.... and it's a fertility clinic. Parking is hard
I felt like it was more of a business deal, neither human or number. I was treated like a human by Fellow, and Dr Hurd but a number by the clinic staff.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
He is very delightful and compassionate, and the Fellow under Him was equally amazing. I saw her more than him, but she took care of me just as good. He was easy to communicate with through their portal, but I did feel he was strongly opposed to putting in more than 1 embryo. I didn't push but, should've, bc it resulted in no preg.
During the consultation, interview them as much as you can, so you are on the same page.
Lots and lots of injections, and medicine for the egg retrieval cycle. My current provider at a diff clinic was shocked at how much I was on. We transferred 1 embryo fresh, and new Dr. Felt like it should've worked but maybe my Progesterone/hormones were too high, from all the meds
Was insured; cycle was $2600
Strongly preferred only 1embro Transfer which dissappointed me
2013 - 2014
2 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
While initially my impression of Dr. Price was positive, looking back I question the course of action that he directed us to take knowing our history...Front desk staff [at Duke Fertility Center] was always friendly and welcoming. Lab staff were hit or miss (some were great, some took 2 tries before successfully drawing blood out of my arm). Counseling on site at the time I attended (Julia Woodward) but after several visits I found no benefit and discontinued care.
2013 - 2014
2 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Front desk staff was always friendly and welcoming. Lab staff were hit or miss (some were great, some took 2 tries before successfully drawing blood out of my arm). Counseling on site at the time I attended (Julia Woodward) but after several visits I found no benefit and discontinued care.
My initial interactions with Dr. Price was that he was very direct and knowledgeable. We like that style. After going through a couple cycles with him and looking back (after transferring to a different clinic), I don't think his approach was nearly as aggressive enough as was warranted for my situation. After 2 failures (both BFPs that didn't make it out of the first trimester), he jumped straight to donor egg as one of my next options to evaluate. When he had zero explanation for the losses.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
If you don't like a doctor who's style is very direct, consider a different doctor.
cycle one - Femera (5mg cycle days 3-7), trigger shot, timed intercourse, progesterone supplementation after BFP, chemical pregnancy cycle two - clomid (50mg cycle days 3-7), trigger shot, timed intercourse, progesterone supplementation after BFP, first trimester miscarriage
Durham
I was refused treatment [at Duke Fertility Center] and my copay was returned...I was refused treatment based on my age. I am 44. This information was not included on the clinic's website and I was not informed when I called to make the appointment even though my age and intent were stated....It seemed clean. I did not have to wait long. The clinic does not post age restrictions on their website or inform you when you make initial appointments. Many people drive far for ivf treatment so this should be protocol...
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
He refused to treat me based on my age. The exchange was abrupt and curt. He said the cut off was 43 for IVF at his clinic. I had just turned 44. I drove over 2 hours for the appointment.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
I was refused treatment based on my age. I am 44. This information was not included on the clinic's website and I was not informed when I called to make the appointment even though my age and intent were stated. I drove over two hours for the appointment. He reluctantly told me my success with egg donor ivf would be greater, then handed me off to office staff for a flyer on egg donation costs, but in every gesture rejected me as a client. I am interested in egg donation, and already knew my chances with my own eggs were low, but never expected to be treated so badly.
Call the clinic before an initial appointment if you are over 40 and make sure they do not have age requirements or cutoffs.
I was refused treatment and my copay was returned.
2014 - 2018
1 IUI, 4 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
They are a very good clinic [Duke Fertility Center]. They don’t have the most up to date technology, and you primarily see the REI fellow, but the physicians are very responsive to email communications and very thoughtful. I do wish the Used time-lapsed monitoring of embryos and had 3D sonography. I don’t know the quality of the lab and have a sense that it varies by the embryologist working...9k per cycle plus 1500 for ICSI plus 2 k for PGS testing....
2014 - 2018
1 IUI, 4 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
They are a very good clinic. They don’t have the most up to date technology, and you primarily see the REI fellow, but the physicians are very responsive to email communications and very thoughtful. I do wish the Used time-lapsed monitoring of embryos and had 3D sonography. I don’t know the quality of the lab and have a sense that it varies by the embryologist working.
Dr. Price is an incredibly thoughtfu and truly brilliant physician. His demeanor is very straightforward, but he’s very honest, deeply thoughtful and always patient.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Price patiently listened to my every concern. He was so kind and thoughtful. He would allow me to share studies with him and explain in a data driven way why he might come out differently. I think he’s probably the most thoughtful and knowledgeable physician I have ever encountered.
Don’t be put off my his seemingly straightforward manner. He’s a compassionate and brilliant clinician.
Antagonist protocol (twice), with PGS testing of 5 day embryos. Produced 7 5-day embryos across two freeze all cycles. Agonist protocol with 3 day freeze all embryos.
9k per cycle plus 1500 for ICSI plus 2 k for PGS testing.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Nothing stood out as exceptionally bad or good [at Duke Fertility Center]. The staff members that I saw seemed to do their jobs well. It would be nice if more of the doctors there were female as Dr. Eaton is the only woman out of 4 doctors...I had limited interaction with the nurses, but they seemed nice enough...I felt that Dr. Eaton took adequate time with me and that she expressed sorrow for the long infertility journey that I'd been on.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I don't have any suggestions. Nothing stood out as exceptionally bad or good. The staff members that I saw seemed to do their jobs well. It would be nice if more of the doctors there were female as Dr. Eaton is the only woman out of 4 doctors.
I had limited interaction with the nurses, but they seemed nice enough.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
I only saw Dr. Eaton about 3 or 4 times, but I felt that she was personable and took time with me as needed and answered my questions well. She referred me on to a rheumatologist when some blood tests showed other concerns that were outside of her expertise, and I appreciated that she wanted me to have those results looked at by another specialist.
Ask questions and know what kinds of things you are and aren't comfortable with doing treatment-wise.
I didn't do any treatment cycles with Dr. Eaton.
I don't remember specific costs. I only remember what I had to pay after insurance which was reasonable.
I didn't do any treatment cycles with Dr. Eaton.
2011 - 2012
[Duke is]...Not very organized, there will be residents and fellows involved in your care, you will see multiple docs and rarely the one you started with...We had insurance coverage, but getting the billing office to actually bill them was hard work...[The nurse was a]...Good teacher, took days to return phone calls, forgot to order meds more than once...
2011 - 2012
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
No one really made an effort to get to know us with the exception of a fellow. It was a rather cold feeling office
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
He actually used the phrases "you're never going to get pregnant with numbers like that" and when my second ivf cycle failed he said the he didn't know what to do next and they'd just "try transferring met embryos next time." Her offered no change in treatment plan other than more embryos.
Go to another clinic
IUI cycles involved both lh and fsh but ivf cycles did not Laparoscopy with ablation of endometriosis No ICSI the first cycle (resulting in about 10% fertilization rate) simply because he didn't see a need for it.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Duke Fertility Center.
Efficient
Don't remember. We had insurance coverage, but getting the billing office to actually bill them was hard work
2005 - 2012
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
They [staff at Duke Fertility] were always available and responsive. Every single person I met was kind and caring from the receptionist to the lab staff to the embryologist to the nurses to the doctors to the students. Amazing place!...He [Dr. Price] was amazing. Very personable. Personally called to check on me. Personally met me at the clinic in the weekend to draw labs...He was very kind and caring and was there for me every step of the way.
2005 - 2012
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
They were always available and responsive. Every single person I met was kind and caring from the receptionist to the lab staff to the embryologist to the nurses to the doctors to the students. Amazing place!
He was amazing. Very personable. Personally called to check on me. Personally met me at the clinic in the weekend to draw labs.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
He was very kind and caring and was there for me every step of the way. Very knowledge and thourough. He describe every detail of what to expect. He was always available and responsive. He seem s to understand PCOS better than any other Doctor I had seen.
He’s great! See him!!
It’s been a long time but what I can remember is starting with clomid because I wasn’t ovulating. When that didn’t work injections. When that didn’t work added IUI. When that didn’t work IVF. Ended up using ICSI too because sperm motility was poor.
As a Duke employee I got 50% off so I think I spend around $5k or so
Describe Thomas Price's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
It was up to us. We went with 2 because we were okay with the idea of twins and wanted to increase our chances
Durham
Dr. Eaton spent time carefully explaining my test results and answering my questions...Dr. Eaton is very attentive and clear in her communication. It is clear she cares about her patients. She is extremely knowledgeable and shares the latest research with her patients....There is a long wait time to book an appointment [at Duke Fertility Center] and it is difficult to get in touch with a live person on the phone. Messages are not always returned quickly by nurses.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
There is a long wait time to book an appointment and it is difficult to get in touch with a live person on the phone. Messages are not always returned quickly by nurses.
Durham
She always took the time to go over everything with me in detail and made me feel like I matter.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
She treated me with respect and I felt as if she was right there with me fighting this battle.
She is the warmest Doctor I have ever met. We didn't get to bring home a baby but she made the whole process a lot less taxing.