6.5

5704 Fayetteville Road
Durham, NC 27713
919-572-4673

Treated 2017 - 2019
I only see her [Dr Eaton] when I make specific consultation appointments, never for procedures like IUI, which hasn’t enabled me to develop a strong rapport with her or talk about things more informally during visits....I often felt like I got different answers at different times, like my doctor was too busy to remember what we’d discussed previously or her opinions about my treatment changed inexplicably.
Everyone [Duke Fertility Center] is kind and helpful, I rarely have to wait before appointments... I have no complaints about the clinic itself.... but I have been frustrated by the lack of organization - the staff seems to expect me to know when to schedule visits or order meds even though I am new to this. And I have been VERY frustrated by the lack of financial support - there are rebates and discount cards and pharmacy options that I’ve only learned about through my own research.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
I only see her when I make specific consultation appointments, never for procedures like IUI, which hasn’t enabled me to develop a strong rapport with her or talk about things more informally during visits.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Do your own research and come prepared to advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Jennifer Eaton used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I began with IUI using minimal stimulation (Menopur and Ovidrel), and after 6 failed IUIs, I switched to IVF. My first IVF cycle (Cetrotide, Gonal F, Menopur, Ovidrel) was converted to IUI because I didn’t respond as expected. I’m currently on my second IVF cycle with Lupron microdoes flare and a higher dosage of Gonal F (450 instead of 300 per night).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Randa Blenden)
Everyone is kind and responsive, but I have been frustrated by the lack of organization - the staff seems to expect me to know when to schedule visits or order meds even though I am new to this. And I have been VERY frustrated by the lack of financial support - there are rebates and discount cards and pharmacy options that I’ve only learned about through my own research. Nurses should inform patients of these options right up front. I could have saved hundreds of dollars had they told me my financial options at the start of my treatment.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Everyone is kind and helpful, I rarely have to wait before appointments, and the staff is good at scheduling visits around my schedule. I have no complaints about the clinic itself. It runs very efficiently.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center.
15K and counting
Describe Jennifer Eaton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
Haven’t gotten there yet but I think she recommends multiple at my age (&gt;40)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
I wish nursing staff was more helpful with regard to the cheapest options for ordering very expensive medications. And it would be helpful for them to be more organized about how to prepare for cycles and when to check things off the list for IVF.
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Hurd seems like a very kind, knowledgeable doctor during the consult. However, he recommended we do regular insemination, and then that changed to 50 regular/50 ICSI, and then we were told that really the best case was all ICSI. We wanted the best outcome, and were very confused as to why this changed 3 times during our process.... You will rarely see Dr. Hurd, so during your consult, really take the time to ask ALL the questions you have.
Extremely poor internal communication. I understand this clinic [Duke Fertility Ctr] sees a lot of patients, but they really need to get their processes in place. The first thing they tell you when beginning IVF is that you need to try not to stress. I didn't even feel very stressed throughout the process, except when I had to visit the office. They messed up time after time, making me so upset and stressed.... They do not give great medication instructions. When you are sent 3 different needles, it would be great to know which one goes with which medication.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
I only saw Dr. Hurd at the initial consult, and then again during my egg retrieval. I probably saw about 15 other staff during my IVF cycle, and they usually didn't seem to remember who I was or didn't bother to read my charts.
Describe the protocols William Hurd used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We were first recommended to do regular insemination, then that was changed to 50 ICSI/50 regular, and then all ICSI. We did a regular IVF cycle, which resulted in retrieving 24 eggs, and 5 made it to the blastocyst stage. 1 was transferred, and a positive pregnancy test was confirmed. It's only been 5 weeks so it is still early to know the final result.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Amanda)
At my first nurses appointment, I thought Amanda was great, and then all went downhill after that. I had issue after issue trying to get my medications, when she needed to provide information to the pharmacy. I actually had to have my husband go into the office, and then I had to go in myself, because phone calls weren't resolving the issues. She also called in a wrong medication, but she did at least fix that situation, and got the pharmacy to return it. When I would leave messages with questions for Amanda, she would always return my phone call within a few hours, however, half the time she didn't even look at my chart or ask the doctor questions when she did not know the answer. For example, when I went off birth control, and I was starting my cycle, she told me that shouldn't happen, and then she called back the next day and said she had checked with the doctor, and that it was actually OK. She also continued to instruct me to use a medication that I wasn't prescribed, rather than changing my chart.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Extremely poor internal communication. I understand this clinic sees a lot of patients, but they really need to get their processes in place. The first thing they tell you when beginning IVF is that you need to try not to stress. I didn't even feel very stressed throughout the process, except when I had to visit the office. They messed up time after time, making me so upset and stressed. My husband and I eventually sat down with the office manager, because we could not believe the amount of issues that had piled up, everything from wrong financial information, to prescription issues, to having my records wrong, to not even looking at my records. It's also important to know, I have had a positive pregnancy test, and I'm waiting for my first ultrasound, but even with that result, I would never want to recommend this clinic to anyone and have them deal with the stress the staff put me through.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center.
Under my husband's insurance we had a discounted flat rate, and this is why we had to use Duke. 50% off all medications, medications totaled around $4,000. IVF cycle (including monitoring, egg retrieval, transfer) = $4500 and additional $450 to wait until Day 5.
Describe William Hurd's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
Multiple embryo transfer was not even discussed for me. I don't believe that Dr. Hurd or the clinic would do this for someone under 35, unless they really did not see 1 being successful.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
1. Incorrect medication was ordered, and the doctor's office delayed my medications from being sent because they were not following up with the pharmacy's questions. I started trying to get my medications on January 2, 2018 and did not receive them all until January 26, 2018 and my first baseline appointment was on January 29, 2018. 2. They do not give great medication instructions. When you are sent 3 different needles, it would be great to know which one goes with which medication. They also told me to watch the Freedom Fertility videos, but some of those differ from the amounts they wanted me to use. 3. Staff do not look at charts/records when prior to seeing a patient. At my baseline ultrasound I was asked multiple times what day of my cycle I was on, when I explained that I wasn't because I had been on birth control. Both my husband and I were so confused/concerned after that appointment, thinking we had been instructed wrong. 4. Some staff are not sure of themselves, I even overheard some in the hallway while waiting in the ultrasound room about how follicles were written and recorded on one side, but the actual photos showed it was the other side. Really concerned hearing this, when I was waiting for an ultrasound. 5. During my transfer, the Doctor asked if the Fellow could do my transfer. I agreed, and the Fellow was asking for something, but the embryologist came over the speaker saying she didn’t need that, and she said Oh I mean this instead. At that point, I felt the Fellow didn’t know what she was doing. 6. Incorrect Information Provided - Shortly after my baseline ultrasound, when I was instructed to stop birth control, I felt I was getting my cycle. When I called the nurse to ask if this was normal, she told me I should not have a period, and that if I had heavy bleeding to call back. The next day I got my period and called back and that time I was told that she checked with the doctor and it was normal. 7. Financial staff were often not in the office during our visits, and when they were we were only able to talk to one staff member who was brand new and not able to answer our questions. This led to a surprise on our Day 3 visit when we were told we would owe $450 more if we waited until Day 5, which was never told to us in the beginning. 8. Told 3 different things by Dr. Hurd, and I mainly believe this was due to him not looking at my husband's records to be able to make the right decisions. We were told there was no need to do ICSI, and then recommended we do half, and then full. And during all of that we were told by the doctor in a MyChart email that half ICSI would cost the same as regular...but after we looked into this further, he said that was not the case, and he meant that if we did half ICSI it was the same as full ICSI. 9. During my first follicle ultrasound, I had to wait 45 minutes for blood work, after asking the front desk multiple times. When I finally got my blood drawn, the phlebotomist told me that she had tried to go look for me in the back because she thought I was at my nurse's appointment...when I wasn't even there for a nurse appointment I was there for an ultrasound. 10. I had an allergic reaction to my shots, and when I called the REI Fellow on call, she called me back and told me she would check with the doctor and call back in the afternoon. I never received a call, so I called the on call line back, she called me back and said she had totally forgot to call me back. 11. During my first blood test to see if the transfer had worked, I was told I'd received a call between 12-3 p.m. At 3:30 p.m., still no call. I called the office, and they had the nurse call me. The nurse rudely told me she had left a message on my phone at 1:40 p.m. I had been anxiously waiting near my phone all afternoon, and did not have any missed calls or messages, so I'm not sure who got that message.
Durham
Appeared very knowledgeable but did not have any patient compassion. He [Dr. Price] honestly made us feel like we were taking up his time when we asked lots of questions, did not give me blount information, always “danced” around some topics and have more statistics than honest answers.... he never knew my chart when he entered the room, always asked me questions that has been answered in previous meetings that were clearly on the chart
Had trouble getting a call back from the clinic [Duke Fertility Center], would be on hold from 5-50 minutes... Very clean, up to date patient areas, flexible with appointments during IVF cycle, kind front office staff. Great turnaround time when calling with results of testing, although some nurses were rude on the phone when giving negative HCG results, offered psychological assistance of dealing with stress from IVF.... Some were knowledgeable, others were not.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Appeared very knowledgeable but did not have any patient compassion. He honestly made us feel like we were taking up his time when we asked lots of questions, did not give me blount information, always “danced” around some topics and have more statistics than honest answers.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Expect statistics and no real answers. When asking him about further treatment and knowing that my egg quality is poor along with severe endometriosis, he continued to suggest IVF when asked about egg donors.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Had trouble getting a call back from the clinic, would be on hold from 5-50 minutes, he never knew my chart when he entered the room, always asked me questions that has been answered in previous meetings that were clearly on the chart
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
Some were knowledgeable, others were not. Some were compassionate, 1 nurse was not. But all were kind.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Poor call back time, do not answer the phones, put patients on hold for long wait times (I once held 50 minutes adyetctgere was a message left for me to return their call). Very clean, up to date patient areas, flexible with appointments during IVF cycle, kind front office staff. Great turnaround time when calling with results of testing, although some nurses were rude on the phone when giving negative HCG results, offered psychological assistance of dealing with stress from IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center.
$18000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
Did not get a call regarding baseline ultrasound after I had called to schedule the appointment and left a message for a return call. Did not get pre op instructions night before egg retrieval. Had to call on-call physician both times.
Treated 2017 - 2018
While Dr. Hurd is extremely knowledgeable, his "bedside" manner is lacking. He provides a lot of information during each consultation visit, but is very clinical in his delivery which can be difficult for a non-medical person to understand or absorb. It is especially difficult when you are very new to the fertility process.... After being diagnosed with unexplained fertility, Dr. Hurd initially presented several IUI and IVF options. He outlined the benefits and drawbacks of each option including estimated costs. Since my husband and I were new to the fertility process and due to the lower initial cost, we elected to try IUI with Clomid and Ovidrel trigger shot.
One of the clinic's [Duke Fertility Center] strengths is I think they are cognizant of the costs associated with fertility treatments and try to find ways to help keep the patient's costs down whenever possible. Additionally, the staff is very nice. However, at times the front desk staff can seem a little disorganized.... Dr. Hurd's nurse, KC has been helpful during the process. She has been good at responding to phone calls and emails. She is a good compliment to Dr. Hurd's "bed side" manner.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Hurd has a wealth of information due to the number of years he has been practicing, but I feel he lacks the ability to connect or empathize with his patients. During my appointments, his delivery of information has always been very clinical. With such a very sensitive and emotional experience dealing with fertility issues, I would prefer if he could be more compassionate and empathic. It would also be helpful to have a clear and concise summary of what was discussed as well as any follow-up instructions.
I would recommend bringing someone with to each consultation so they can help take in all of the information provided during appointments. If you are able, I would also advise taking notes during the appointments. Additionally, research as much as possible before the appointments so you can advocate for yourself. I have found that Dr. Hurd is open to suggestions.
After being diagnosed with unexplained fertility, Dr. Hurd initially presented several IUI and IVF options. He outlined the benefits and drawbacks of each option including estimated costs. Since my husband and I were new to the fertility process and due to the lower initial cost, we elected to try IUI with Clomid and Ovidrel trigger shot. While I was provided with a lot of information concerning the IUI process for each cycle, I felt some of the basic information (when to test for ovulation) was left out. To date we have only tried one IUI cycle which did not result in a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: KC)
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
One of the clinic's strengths is I think they are cognizant of the costs associated with fertility treatments and try to find ways to help keep the patient's costs down whenever possible. Additionally, the staff is very nice. However, at times the front desk staff can seem a little disorganized.
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Eaton was pleasant and knowledgeable. I wish she and not a fellow would perform the IUI’s... I was surprised that some things weren’t covered, outside of my questions at the end. (Like at the end of the day, what is our liklihood of bringing home a baby using IUI vs. IVF or how does my weight impact these numbers?)... . Each cycle was about the same. Med doses didn’t change as we continued doing IUI’s. For IVF, we learned that we didn’t stimulate long enough, and many of my eggs were not mature. I did one more IUI after this, and I didn’t feel like that was taken into consideration during the IUI.
The providers [at Duke Fertility Center] are well educated and follow a strict protocol. I felt like it was still important for me to come with my own questions and to see if there was any flexibility or more clarity. Befriend the financial care counselors, they are super helpful!... The nursing staff was helpful in that they explained things well (like how to use the medications, etc.), and would call back in a timely manner. However, I felt like when they called to deliver bad news, it was always really uncomfortable and awkward (like saying “your results came back and you’re not pregnant” with an upbeat attitude.)
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Eaton was pleasant and knowledgeable. I wish she and not a fellow would perform the IUI’s. I felt safe and comfortable in her care, but I didn’t feel like things were tailored to us as much as they could have been.
I would say to come with a list of questions. In our meetings, I was surprised that some things weren’t covered, outside of my questions at the end. (Like at the end of the day, what is our liklihood of bringing home a baby using IUI vs. IVF or how does my weight impact these numbers?)
When asking questions, I felt like the responses were not tailored to me, but rather what the “data” said. Even though I noted how our situation might be different, it felt like they were just following a protocol that they wouldn’t move away from.
For IUI, I started with clomid, which gave me horrible side effects - so I switched to letrozole for the rest of my IUI cycles. Each cycle was about the same. Med doses didn’t change as we continued doing IUI’s. For IVF, we learned that we didn’t stimulate long enough, and many of my eggs were not mature. I did one more IUI after this, and I didn’t feel like that was taken into consideration during the IUI.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
The providers are well educated and follow a strict protocol. I felt like it was still important for me to come with my own questions and to see if there was any flexibility or more clarity. Befriend the financial care counselors, they are super helpful!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Duke Fertility Center.
Monitoring appointments were smooth, but always done by different providers.
I am a Duke Employee with set pricing for going to a Duke fertility clinic.
She refused to do a multiple embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
My blood was taken for genetic testing, and I never got the results in my online chart. When I asked about it, I was told I needed to come back in to give more blood for it, but everyone was scared to tell me what happened (did they forget to order it? Did they drop it?) And even though at this point my doctor gave me a specific result, it is not noted anywhere in my chart. Very weird.
Treated 2016 - 2017
Do your research on what testing is done at other clinics to diagnose infertility causes and be sure she [Dr. Eaton] orders them... My husband had poor SA results and I feel like it was dismissed without being addressed, she did not order another SA to confirm the poor result, nor refer him to a urologist. Feel like the plan is dead in the water until we give up and go on to IVF...I feel like she had a plan in mind five minutes into our first appointment and did not defer from the course.
Didn't have medication dosage adjusted [at Duke] until I asked them to adjust it. Had doctor tell me one thing (natural conception success rate is 30% and husband's SA result is fine) but write a completely different thing in her notes (natural conception success rate would be 10% and husband's SA shows problems, but never ordered more testing for him or referral to urology)...The clinic is quick about seeing patients, but I feel like they cut corners in diagnosing causes of infertility. They don't care about the cause. They just get you on a standard plan of medicated cycles until eventually getting to IVF. I feel as if it is a "one-size-fits-all" plan of care.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
I feel like she had a plan in mind five minutes into our first appointment and did not defer from the course. She skips certain testing done at other clinics that is vital for information in diagnosing causes of infertility. My husband had poor SA results and I feel like it was dismissed without being addressed, she did not order another SA to confirm the poor result, nor refer him to a urologist. Feel like the plan is dead in the water until we give up and go on to IVF.
Do your research on what testing is done at other clinics to diagnose infertility causes and be sure she orders them.
Jennifer Eaton has a great bedside manner.
2.5mg Letrozole with Ovidrel trigger
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
Nursing staff is ok. They are quick at getting people seen. Had a bad experience with a nurse doing phlebotomy - she prematurely ripped out the butterfly and stuck me in the finger with the needle, then had to poke me again for blood. Left bruising all over my arm.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
So far I've only had to pay $40 copays at appointments.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
Didn't have medication dosage adjusted until I asked them to adjust it. Had doctor tell me one thing (natural conception success rate is 30% and husband's SA result is fine) but write a completely different thing in her notes (natural conception success rate would be 10% and husband's SA shows problems, but never ordered more testing for him or referral to urology)
Treated 2017
My husband and myself did not have the best experience with Dr.Hurd. We felt as though he never read our charts before we came for a visit or was aware of our situation. ... After our negative pregnancy test he had suggested we try naturally before our next round not remembering that my husbands semen did not contain sperm and we had to extract it.
The most upsetting thing with the clinic [Duke Fertility Center] is the way they delivered our news of being pregnant and then not. The first day after bloodwork they should have known that a low HCG value may not have really been a real pregnancy. They should have warned us versus telling us over the phone, “You’re pregnant!”. We were thrilled to hear the news only for me to go in again the next day to have blood work completed and them to tell us it was negative.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
My husband and myself did not have the best experience with Dr.Hurd. We felt as though he never read our charts before we came for a visit or was aware of our situation. He was very nice, but he didn’t seem up to date on the latest research and best practices.
Be sure he reads your chart before discussing anything.
Dr. Hurd would not be aware of who I was or what my treatment plan was or why we needed to do IVF. After our negative pregnancy test he had suggested we try naturally before our next round not remembering that my husbands semen did not contain sperm and we had to extract it. Only got to see him once or twice and was not informative of our chances or was not sympathetic. Call that we were pregnant was delivered by a nurse and then the next day to tell us the pregnancy was negative was from a fellow.
He prescribed me gonal -f, menopur, and crinoline gel for the progesterone. From what I remember the item that stands out the most is that Dr.Hurd and Duke fertility makes your order two different trigger shots in which you will only use one. Their reasoning behind this is that they aren’t sure which one will be needed day if so it’s best to order both.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
The nursing staff that did blood work were extremely nice but always smelled of cigarettes. The nurse that relayed our “positive result” should have resulted with a doctor prior to telling us we were pregnant when our levels were only at 5. The next day we receive a call that we were not actually pregnant. Their delivery of news was horrific.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Strengths: finance department was great and easy to work with. Negative: nurses and the way they deliver news to the patient. Doctor was nice but did not seem engaged to the patient or the patients history.
At this time our insurance still covered all our costs so we only had to pay copays, however now we have run out of insurance coverage.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
The most upsetting thing with the clinic is the way they delivered our news of being pregnant and then not. The first day after bloodwork they should have known that a low HCG value may not have really been a real pregnancy. They should have warned us versus telling us over the phone, “You’re pregnant!”. We were thrilled to hear the news only for me to go in again the next day to have blood work completed and them to tell us it was negative. Their delivery was not acceptable and at no time did my actual Doctor give me a call.
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Eaton is very straight-forward and patient and willing to explain all of the medical information clearly and in detail. She presented us with options, listened to our concerns, didn't pressure us into treatments but was clear about what she felt was the most likely to work. That said, I had a few occasions where I felt like I would have liked a more compassionate response from her... Because Duke is a teaching hospital, I see the fellows more often than I see Dr. Eaton. And my retrievals and transfers have been done by various doctors in the practice, although Dr. Eaton manages my care.
Because Duke is a teaching hospital, I see the fellows more often than I see Dr. Eaton....I feel the nursing staff are compassionate, and helpful. I've been able to call the nursing lines during IVF and IUI and get answers to my questions within a reasonable amount of time....The clinic repeated told me that I would be scheduled for IVF in October 2016 until the week before I was scheduled to start the cycle (meds already ordered) when I was informed that the doctors were all going to a conference and 3 weeks were blacked out for IVF....
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Eaton is very straight-forward and patient and willing to explain all of the medical information clearly and in detail. She presented us with options, listened to our concerns, didn't pressure us into treatments but was clear about what she felt was the most likely to work. That said, I had a few occasions where I felt like I would have liked a more compassionate response from her, especially when it came to missed cycles due to clinic issues.
I'm not sure.
Because Duke is a teaching hospital, I see the fellows more often than I see Dr. Eaton. And my retrievals and transfers have been done by various doctors in the practice, although Dr. Eaton manages my care. The fellows are generally warmer and more friendly than the doctors, and since this process is extremely stressful, expensive, and emotional, I don't always feel like Dr. Eaton is sensitive to that as much as I'd like her to be. However, I also feel like I've received good care from her medically. The other difficulty of this clinic is that it is very busy, and the patient really needs to be on top of their own care or it's easy to miss cycles because you don't have all your paperwork, labs, meds, etc. in order. The clinic does not give patients enough support with that.
I had previously undergone letrazole+trigger shot IUI for about 6 cycles with an OBGYN, so when I started seeing Dr. Eaton, she recommended trying min stim (150 menopur) IUI. We did that for about 3 cycles (she recommended going to IVF sooner, but for scheduling and financial reasons, we had to put that off). Then moved to IVF. The first IVF, I started with 300 gonal f/150 menopur and after 5 days, increased to 375 gonal f/150 menopur. I think retrieval was on day 11ish. They got 18 eggs, about half fertilized, and 5 made it to day 3. 2 of those were low quality, so Dr. Eaton transferred all 5 eggs (rationale was that the 2 low quality would not survive freezing so choice was to transfer to dispose of them). Resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I am doing the second IVF cycle now. Started with 375 gonal f/150 menopur and then reduced to 300 gonal f/150 menopur on day 5. similar timing for retrieval. This time, they got 12 eggs (but more were mature than 1st IVF), 6 fertilized and grew to day 3. Transferred 3 and froze 3. I saw Dr. Price at the transfer, so we talked through options for how many to transfer vs. freeze. This seemed like the best approach to both me and Dr. Price. Waiting for result of transfer now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: I've worked with several nurses, but the IVF team has one person who primarily manages those patients)
In general, I feel the nursing staff are compassionate, and helpful. I've been able to call the nursing lines during IVF and IUI and get answers to my questions within a reasonable amount of time. The one thing that I wish they would do better is to be more organized in telling patients all of the things that they need to have in place before starting cycles. Between resigning consent forms, tests, ordering meds, and having donor shipment forms signed, it seems like every cycle there is something missing that results in a stressful period of running to the clinic to sign forms that i didn't know I was missing. I've also missed several cycles due to issues with not having documents ready, meds ordered in time (because I wasn't told when I needed them and didn't know enough to proactively manage the clinic staff), or because the clinic had blacked out dates for IVF but didn't communicate this with patients until I was about to start a new cycle. That has been very frustrating.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
This clinic practices evidence based medicine and overall, i think they provide quality care. The front desk staff are great. The fellows are great, especially Dr. Acharya and Dr. Keyhan. However, the clinic weaknesses are related to being very busy, impersonal, seeming to have high turnover of nursing staff, and not assisting patients enough with coordination of care leading up to cycles. I've also had many issues with billing problems and insurance not being billed properly, so I have to micromanage that as well.
IUI meds plus treatment (with insurance) cost about $4000-5000 per cycle, I think. IVF meds cost about $6000 and cycle with my insurance cost $4800. Although, I spent the past 3 months fighting with Duke Medicine over a $15000 bill for IVF because my insurance was improperly registered in their system, and my claims were being rejected.
Dr. Eaton recommended transferring 3 embryos prior to starting IVf, due to my age and the fact that I was okay doing selective reduction. That said, I was a little nervous about the 5 embryo transfer, but I trusted that Dr. Eaton is conservative and doesn't have a high multiples rate, so she was advising us well.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
The clinic repeated told me that I would be scheduled for IVF in October 2016 until the week before I was scheduled to start the cycle (meds already ordered) when I was informed that the doctors were all going to a conference and 3 weeks were blacked out for IVF. Subsequently I also learned that all of December 2016 was blocked out. This was very frustrating because I had rescheduled all of my life to do IVF in October and had to then rearrange everything to do so in November (and it was totally avoidable if they'd simply told me in advance that this was a possibility). I also had done a IUI in August because they told me they couldn't order meds in time for IVF (which actually was probably not true, since the med company can do 24 hour turnaround). So I felt like I wasted an IUI cycle, assuming I would do IVF in October, and had I know, I would have chosen IVF in September instead, saving money and time. The other issue I've had is that the clinic regularly fails to tell me if I need to re-sign paperwork, unless I ask. Once, donor sperm was shipped to the clinic for the second time, and I was not informed that I needed to sign a new donor sperm receipt form before shipping, resulting in a 24 hour crisis where I didn't know if they would accept it or ship it back.
Treated 2016
He [Dr. Hurd] is very delightful and compassionate, and the Fellow under Him was equally amazing. I saw her more than him, but she took care of me just as good. He was easy to communicate with through their portal, but I did feel he was strongly opposed to putting in more than 1 embryo...I felt like it was more of a business deal, neither human or number. I was treated like a human by Fellow, and Dr Hurd but a number by the clinic staff [at Duke]....
Very "clinic" , [Duke] no personal report building, has pictures of fruit on the wall and no babies.... and it's a fertility clinic. Parking is hard...This place just wasn't for me. I changed back to my original clinic (only went to Duke because of ins instruction) because the personal report with whole staff...Staff, especially in the lab had zero understanding of the medication you were taking for fertility, and there was no documentation so every other day i came in I had to list it. The nurses seemed to be "checked out". I had one phenomenal nurse that tended to me after egg retrieval.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
He is very delightful and compassionate, and the Fellow under Him was equally amazing. I saw her more than him, but she took care of me just as good. He was easy to communicate with through their portal, but I did feel he was strongly opposed to putting in more than 1 embryo. I didn't push but, should've, bc it resulted in no preg.
During the consultation, interview them as much as you can, so you are on the same page.
I felt like it was more of a business deal, neither human or number. I was treated like a human by Fellow, and Dr Hurd but a number by the clinic staff.
Lots and lots of injections, and medicine for the egg retrieval cycle. My current provider at a diff clinic was shocked at how much I was on. We transferred 1 embryo fresh, and new Dr. Felt like it should've worked but maybe my Progesterone/hormones were too high, from all the meds
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Very "clinic" , no personal report building, has pictures of fruit on the wall and no babies.... and it's a fertility clinic. Parking is hard
Was insured; cycle was $2600
Strongly preferred only 1embro Transfer which dissappointed me
Treated 2011 - 2012
He [Dr. Price] actually used the phrases "you're never going to get pregnant with numbers like that" and when my second ivf cycle failed he said the he didn't know what to do next and they'd just "try transferring met embryos next time." Her offered no change in treatment plan other than more embryos...No one really made an effort to get to know us with the exception of a fellow. It was a rather cold feeling office...
[Duke is]...Not very organized, there will be residents and fellows involved in your care, you will see multiple docs and rarely the one you started with...We had insurance coverage, but getting the billing office to actually bill them was hard work...[The nurse was a]...Good teacher, took days to return phone calls, forgot to order meds more than once...
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
He actually used the phrases "you're never going to get pregnant with numbers like that" and when my second ivf cycle failed he said the he didn't know what to do next and they'd just "try transferring met embryos next time." Her offered no change in treatment plan other than more embryos.
Go to another clinic
Describe the protocols Thomas Price used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
IUI cycles involved both lh and fsh but ivf cycles did not Laparoscopy with ablation of endometriosis No ICSI the first cycle (resulting in about 10% fertilization rate) simply because he didn't see a need for it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center.
Efficient
Don't remember. We had insurance coverage, but getting the billing office to actually bill them was hard work
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
We had our embryos transferred to another clinic. Phone calls to coordinate this were not returned to they point we considered contacting a lawyer. When we did successfully have them moved, they arrived with no paperwork. Thankfully my med rec number was inscribed on the straws and I had it memorized. There was a huge turn over before my second transfer. A new doc did my transfer and he didn't seem to know where the buttons were on the ultrasound, fumbling around while a loaded catheter was in place. Even the fellow looked horrified. I remember much if both of my retrievals, including pain. My concerns when bringing this up before my second retrieval were dismissed.
Treated 2013 - 2014
After going through a couple cycles with him and looking back (after transferring to a different clinic), I don't think his [Dr Thomas Price] approach was nearly as aggressive enough as was warranted for my situation. After 2 failures (both BFPs that didn't make it out of the first trimester), he jumped straight to donor egg as one of my next options to evaluate. When he had zero explanation for the losses.
While initially my impression of Dr. Price was positive, looking back I question the course of action that he directed us to take knowing our history...Front desk staff [at Duke Fertility Center] was always friendly and welcoming. Lab staff were hit or miss (some were great, some took 2 tries before successfully drawing blood out of my arm). Counseling on site at the time I attended (Julia Woodward) but after several visits I found no benefit and discontinued care.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
If you don't like a doctor who's style is very direct, consider a different doctor.
My initial interactions with Dr. Price was that he was very direct and knowledgeable. We like that style. After going through a couple cycles with him and looking back (after transferring to a different clinic), I don't think his approach was nearly as aggressive enough as was warranted for my situation. After 2 failures (both BFPs that didn't make it out of the first trimester), he jumped straight to donor egg as one of my next options to evaluate. When he had zero explanation for the losses.
cycle one - Femera (5mg cycle days 3-7), trigger shot, timed intercourse, progesterone supplementation after BFP, chemical pregnancy cycle two - clomid (50mg cycle days 3-7), trigger shot, timed intercourse, progesterone supplementation after BFP, first trimester miscarriage
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Front desk staff was always friendly and welcoming. Lab staff were hit or miss (some were great, some took 2 tries before successfully drawing blood out of my arm). Counseling on site at the time I attended (Julia Woodward) but after several visits I found no benefit and discontinued care.

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Steiner is very warm and personable. She really cares. She's knowledgeable, warm, and kind. I feel like she listens and really cares. I enjoyed working with her. I just think that the clinic is rather overloaded. I wish I'd had more time directly with her...Don't expect much face to face time, but it's not her fault...We did two agonist cycles given success with that approach previously...there's very little face-to-face physician/patient time...
Cathy [nurse at Duke] has a wonderful heart. She truly cares about her patients. She is knowledgeable about the treatment protocols and will go the extra mile to help patients...Duke isn't the most organized clinic. I think it's due to volume...is a high volume clinic. Lots of patients because people with Duke insurance can only get coverage there. I think they could use more providers and more nurses. There are good people there, though.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Don't expect much face to face time, but it's not her fault.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Steiner is very warm and personable. She really cares. I do think Duke is overloaded though, and there's very little face-to-face physician/patient time built into their model.
Describe the protocols Anne Steiner used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We did two agonist cycles given success with that approach previously.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Cathy Gustafson)
Cathy has a wonderful heart. She truly cares about her patients. She is knowledgeable about the treatment protocols and will go the extra mile to help patients.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Duke is a high volume clinic. Lots of patients because people with Duke insurance can only get coverage there. I think they could use more providers and more nurses. There are good people there, though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center.
It was around $4500 per cycle, not including medications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
Duke isn't the most organized clinic. I think it's due to volume.
Durham
He [Dr. Thomas Price] refused to treat me based on my age. The exchange was abrupt and curt. He said the cut off was 43 for IVF at his clinic. I had just turned 44. I drove over 2 hours for the appointment... He reluctantly told me my success with egg donor ivf would be greater, then handed me off to office staff for a flyer on egg donation costs, but in every gesture rejected me as a client. I am interested in egg donation, and already knew my chances with my own eggs were low, but never expected to be treated so badly.
I was refused treatment [at Duke Fertility Center] and my copay was returned...I was refused treatment based on my age. I am 44. This information was not included on the clinic's website and I was not informed when I called to make the appointment even though my age and intent were stated....It seemed clean. I did not have to wait long. The clinic does not post age restrictions on their website or inform you when you make initial appointments. Many people drive far for ivf treatment so this should be protocol...
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
I was refused treatment based on my age. I am 44. This information was not included on the clinic's website and I was not informed when I called to make the appointment even though my age and intent were stated. I drove over two hours for the appointment. He reluctantly told me my success with egg donor ivf would be greater, then handed me off to office staff for a flyer on egg donation costs, but in every gesture rejected me as a client. I am interested in egg donation, and already knew my chances with my own eggs were low, but never expected to be treated so badly.
Call the clinic before an initial appointment if you are over 40 and make sure they do not have age requirements or cutoffs.
He refused to treat me based on my age. The exchange was abrupt and curt. He said the cut off was 43 for IVF at his clinic. I had just turned 44. I drove over 2 hours for the appointment.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I was refused treatment and my copay was returned.
Durham

We did an antagonist protocol and she [Dr. Jennifer Eaton] increased my FSH to 600 total, which seemed like overkill in the context of my previous cycle history and seems to have fried the eggs from that cycle. It was my worst one ever...She treats patients like humans in person, but in-person time with her is limited to procedures and the pre-cycle consult. You don't see her at all during the cycle otherwise. She is responsive through the patient portal, but her emails are very brisk and at times felt abrasive. Husband agreed.
Around $5k for the retrieval [at Duke Fertility Center] with Duke insurance, not including med costs...I think Duke is a factory. You only see the doctors for the initial consult and procedures, otherwise it's just the monitoring techs, fellows, and portal messages. I've been trying to find out certain info about my cycle for months and still don't have the answers...It's just not very organized...We did an antagonist protocol and she increased my FSH to 600 total, which seemed like overkill in the context of my previous cycle history and seems to have fried the eggs from that cycle. It was my worst one ever.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Eaton is warm in person, but brisk over email. My cycle with her was my worst yet, while I have had very different results with other doctors and protocols. I would be more specific but am hesitant to share identifiable info.
I would consider another provider.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Around $5k for the retrieval with Duke insurance, not including med costs.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
It's just not very organized.

Treated 2014 - 2015
She [Dr. Eaton] is not very friendly and doesn’t like being challenged with questions. She didn’t coordinate my care when she was going to be gone during my donor cycle. She told me that it was all very formulaic and not to worry....All the donors are treated with the same protocol and it doesn’t seem like adjustments are made. She is very against transferring two embryos unless there are only two embryos at the end of the cycle.
Avoid this clinic [Duke] unless you can only afford care here. It is outdated and the staff doesn’t keep up with new technologies. Financial office is a mess and the waiting room is uncomfortable. The staff is not professional. Lots of fellows in training provide care....I participated in a donor cycle. 15 eggs were retrieved but only 3 were mature. The embryologist said the protocol was wrong....All the donors are treated with the same protocol and it doesn’t seem like adjustments are made
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
She is not very friendly and doesn’t like being challenged with questions. She didn’t coordinate my care when she was going to be gone during my donor cycle. She told me that it was all very formulaic and not to worry.
I participated in a donor cycle. 15 eggs were retrieved but only 3 were mature. The embryologist said the protocol was wrong. All three eggs fertilized and we were told to transfer two and freeze one on day 3. This cycle resulted in a live birth. The frozen embro didn’t survive the thaw.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: MIA)
Mia is great.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Avoid this clinic unless you can only afford care here. It is outdated and the staff doesn’t keep up with new technologies. Financial office is a mess and the waiting room is uncomfortable. The staff is not professional. Lots of fellows in training provide care.
She strongly favors eSET. I wanted to transfer two and she suggested my babies could die at 20 weeks.
Treated 2020
My experience with Dr Steiner was very strange...I asked about a test to check for a hormonal imbalance and she told me she has never heard of a test that checks for hormone imbalance. I asked twice to make sure I understood correctly with the same answer. I nearly fell out of my chair. I assume she just didn't want to give me the test since I'm not trying to get pregnant....but don't lie and say --as a fertility specialist--that you have never heard of a test for hormones. Whether it was a complete lack of concern, or a poor knowledge base, I would never recommender to anyone.
[The staff at Duke Fertility was] disorganized and didn't know I had already taken care of my copay online. They had asked me to fill out a form online, but it wasn't accessible...Based on my experience I would never recommend.The nurse who brought me into the office was very nice...Dr Steiner told me there were no tests available for hormonal assessment.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Someone referred me to Dr Steiner to get a second opinion regarding treatment options for endometriosis, so this was a consult. I asked about a test to check for a hormonal imbalance and she told me she has never heard of a test that checks for hormone imbalance. I asked twice to make sure I understood correctly with the same answer. I nearly fell out of my chair. I assume she just didn't want to give me the test since I'm not trying to get pregnant....but don't lie and say --as a fertility specialist--that you have never heard of a test for hormones. Whether it was a complete lack of concern, or a poor knowledge base, I would never recommender to anyone.
If a patient is not there for fertility, you should still be honest with them.
My experience with Dr Steiner was very strange. She seemed very personable and sweet, but gave me information I know was false.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
Very disorganized, but I would l likely attribute that too covid. The nurse who brought me into the office was very nice.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
disorganized and didn't know I had already taken care of my copay online. They had asked me to fill out a form online, but it wasn't accessible. This could be attributed to covid-19; maybe they are not always this unorganized. Based on my experience I would never recommend.
I have no idea until I get the bill.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
As I already mentioned, Dr Steiner told me there were no tests available for hormonal assessment.
Durham
she [Dr. Anne Steiner] thoroughly went through everything with diagrams and models...is a down to earth doctor who always answers questions along with making sure we understood...Not only did she give me information about my body as a woman I didn’t even know but she also makes sure that I keep my primary doctor in the loop for potential birth defects from my medicine...
Strengths [of the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center] would be making you feel comfortable. They’re also very informative with places to get fertility loans. Weaknesses id say they’re a little unorganized...I was told that my insurance covered the appointments but suddenly I had to pay out of pocket for consultations...I know it’s like $16,000 to do 1 cycle with 2 egg retrievals...[Dr.] Steiner is a down to earth doctor who always answers questions along with making sure we understood before we made our trip back home...Not only did she give me information about my body as a woman I didn’t even know but she also makes sure that I keep my primary doctor in the loop for potential birth defects from my medicine
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Steiner is a down to earth doctor who always answers questions along with making sure we understood before we made our trip back home to Jacksonville NC. Not only did she give me information about my body as a woman I didn’t even know but she also makes sure that I keep my primary doctor in the loop for potential birth defects from my medicine
Ask as many questions as possible. Relax and don’t feel uncomfortable being transparent
A human because she thoroughly went through everything with diagrams and models
I have not did the treatment yet we must pay beforehand.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
Strengths would be making you feel comfortable. They’re also very informative with places to get fertility loans. Weaknesses id say they’re a little unorganized
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Please have insurance and if you don’t make sure you get quoted beforehand. If you can I’d advise getting a plan with fertility included. Also bring a notepad with you to take notes. Keep receipts etc
I know it’s like $16,000 to do 1 cycle with 2 egg retrievals