6.5

5704 Fayetteville Road
Durham, NC 27713
919-572-4673

Treated 2013 - 2019
Dr.Eaton truly loves her job as a reproductive endocrinologist. She works tirelessly to make sure her patients are heard, taken care of and respected, even by her own staff. Through all of the ups and downs of the infertility journey, I always felt like I had her in my corner to help me pick the best option for me, my spouse and our plans to be parents.... Dr. Eaton has great bedside manner. She truly gets to know her patients, their wants and desires and works with you to come up with a plan that meets all of your needs and comfort levels.
As an entity of Duke University, we had high expectations for the clinic. They were not met as the front desk staff, nurses and finance staff were unprofessional, not compassionate of patients, and unorganized. We made a serious of complaints over the years to leadership of the clinic and our own RE, Dr. Eaton. Our Dr. agreed with a lot of the complaints we had. At times we had considered leaving but stayed because we loved our doctor, Dr. Eaton. After being away from the clinic after getting pregnant and having our son, we now know that there has been a number of changes that seem to be improving the clinic.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
She has high expectations of her patients, staff and self.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Jennifer Eaton used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We were introduced to Dr. Eaton after for failed unmedicated IUIs. Since I did not have any noted health issues, she recommend that we try medicated IUIs. The medication worked great, but the fellows who performed the IUIs could not navigate my spec fix and most likely the sperm never made it to the corrrct location. After 4 unsuccessful medicated IUIs, we decided to proceed with IVF. The protocol was birth control for ~22 days to suppress ovulation, stimulation medications to include Gonal F and Menopur. The doses given were high and caused me to stimulate too quickly. 15 eggs were retrieved after a week of stimulations. 8 eggs were mature, 4 fertilized and 3 made it to day 5. We transferred two fresh embryos, which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. After the difficulty with passing my cervix, Dr. Eaton wanted to only proceed with frozen transfers so that she could be the one to perform the transfer rather than the RE On call that day. We then transferred the remaining frozen embryo which also resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We then proceed per another IVF cycle. Repeated the birth control for ~22 days, but lower the dose of Gonal F and Menopur stimulation meds. Dr. Eaton pushed my body to 10 days, which resulted in borderline OHSS estradiol levels, so we did a freeze all. We retrieved 15 eggs, 14 mature, 13 fertilized and 8 made it to day 5. We transferred 2 eggs first which ended in a negative pregnancy test. Transferred two more, negative test. Transferred one more, positive pregnancy test and early miscarriage/chemical. Dr.Eaton found this to be promising as I finally got pregnant. We then decided to proceed to IVF Cycle#3, same protocol as IVF cycle #2, but do PGS testing. We retrieved 23 eggs, 15 mature, 13 fertilized, 12 made it to day 3, 2 made it to day 5, one was normal and one abnormal. We transferred the normal and remaining embryo from IVF cycle 2. We had a positive pregnancy test, a healthy 41 week pregnancy and a healthy baby boy born via c-section. We are now discussing steps for IVF cycle #4 for baby #2.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
In the 5 years we were at the clinic, we had a lot of turn over. There were so great nurses but due to leadership (which has since changed) at the clinic a lot of them did not stay long.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center.
For my first thre cycles as a Duke employee, I received a discount. My fourth upcoming cycle is no longer eligible for employee benefits do it will be $20k for IVF retrieval, ICSI, PGS testing, medications and one transfer.
Durham
Dr. Eaton has listened to me and my husband’s concerns and incorporated me in my own treatment. She explained everything very well. She is kind and compassionate which I appreciated during this difficult process...is very intelligent and was knowledgeable about treatment options. She was able to answer all of our questions without hesitation. She is honest and told us what she thought would work best for us...now recommends IVF for since I’ve had 4 IUIs now.
Kim [nurse at Duke Fertility Center] is friendly and always responds my to messages and calls. She does not forget to follow up. There was another nurse Stephanie who sent me the wrong treatment calendar and instructions before and I had to correct her...They are always able to get me in for appointments for blood and ultrasound that work with my schedule and are quick to follow up with me. Some days the waiting rooms are really full but I’ve only had to wait long a few times. After my ultrasound they have you go back in the waiting room until they draw your blood.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr Eaton is very intelligent and was knowledgeable about treatment options. She was able to answer all of our questions without hesitation. She is honest and told us what she thought would work best for us.
Come prepared with questions for her to answer. She took the time to answer all our questions.
When I started seeing Dr. Eaton I was already on Femara that my OB has previously put me on and increased my dose. She had me continue taking this dose and had me come for baseline day 3 ultrasound, day 12 ultrasound & bloodwork and then had me trigger with Ovidrel if I was ready that night and come 36 hrs later for IUI. I have responded to well and have been ovulating but just haven’t gotten pregnant. Dr. Eaton now recommends IVF for since I’ve had 4 IUIs now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Kim is friendly and always responds my to messages and calls. She does not forget to follow up. There was another nurse Stephanie who sent me the wrong treatment calendar and instructions before and I had to correct her.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I am a Duke employee so I have a special insurance plan with my employer. I paid 55$ for visits where I saw Dr. Eaton and 55$ per IUI. All my ultrasounds and blood work are free.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
When I first started IUI the nurse sent me the wrong treatment calendar. They did promptly fix this when I told them.
Treated 2016 - 2017
I started seeing Dr. Price for recurrent loss. He ran a slew of tests, more than most doctors seem to, and gave me options for further testing. Due to some of my numbers, we tried Femara/Letrozole for 1 cycle (had a CP) and Clomid for another (had an ectopic). Our next plan of attack is Clomid again...He [Dr. Thomas Price] may not be the most sensitive man when it comes to speaking, and can be very blunt. But he knows what he's talking about and is thorough. He's good at explaining issues, reasons, medications, and treatment plans. And he's usually quick to respond (and will respond to a ton of questions, even if he may think they're silly). He gives pros and cons, laying out options and helping you understand them, but lets you make decisions about your own care when there is a choice to be made. He hasn't been pushy about treatments and has been caring when I have experienced loss.
Scheduling an appointment [at Duke fertility] isn't terribly hard, depending on what you need. But my biggest complaint is wait time for blood draws -- waiting an hour+ for something that takes &lt;5 minutes is a terrible waste of my time. The office staff is friendly and helpful, though...I started seeing Dr. Price for recurrent loss. He ran a slew of tests, more than most doctors seem to, and gave me options for further testing. Due to some of my numbers, we tried Femara/Letrozole for 1 cycle (had a CP) and Clomid for another (had an ectopic). Our next plan of attack is Clomid again.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
I wrote this above, but I think he genuinely cares. He may not be the most sensitive man when it comes to speaking, and can be very blunt. But he knows what he's talking about and is thorough. He's good at explaining issues, reasons, medications, and treatment plans. And he's usually quick to respond (and will respond to a ton of questions, even if he may think they're silly). He gives pros and cons, laying out options and helping you understand them, but lets you make decisions about your own care when there is a choice to be made. He hasn't been pushy about treatments and has been caring when I have experienced loss.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Understand that his personality might not meet your needs, and that is fine. He is a bit socially awkward and seems to have an all-absorbing interest his field -- but that interest and knowledge is why I like him. He knows his stuff but may not have the "bedside manner" that some people need/want.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Price is a bit socially awkward and is very blunt/direct...but he cares. He gets to know you, asks about other parts of your life, takes those into consideration in his treatment, and responds quickly and thoroughly. He will reply 1000 times to questions. And genuinely seems to care if we succeed.
Describe the protocols Thomas Price used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
The nurses all seem caring and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Scheduling an appointment isn't terribly hard, depending on what you need. But my biggest complaint is wait time for blood draws -- waiting an hour+ for something that takes &lt;5 minutes is a terrible waste of my time. The office staff is friendly and helpful, though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center.
This is very different with insurances, so I can't say specifics.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
A doctor, not my specific RE, failed to call in a prescription. I had to call the on call RE and have it done, with multiple trips to the pharmacy.
Treated 2015 - 2016
Dr. Price is a very straight forward person. He is very serious in his practice. He rarely smiles but makes eye contact when needed. He only saw my husband and I twice and we had to deal with other doctors and nurses in the clinic....He will remain professional and be straight forward with you but do not expect any warm and fuzzy feeling.
We had to change our treatment time a couple of times due to Thanksgiving and Christmas time b/c the clinic [Duke] was closed and we could not go for testing. Therefore, we were told during those time to just try naturally and skip the IUI treatment. Despite high cost of medication we had to delay that and it is not fair at all.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
After the first visit we had with Dr. Price we had to deal with other doctors and nurses in the clinic for other testing and blood work and they adjust medication and dose.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center.
I had to work with multiple nurses. At times it was confusing since so many people provided care for me.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I would say as big as Duke facility is, this clinic has no business to be closed on holidays and no lab or cycle needs to get wasted based on hours of operation. If Duke ER can be open 24-7 then this clinic should refer patients to Duke ER for further testing during holiday hours and when they are closed. We had to change our treatment time a couple of times due to Thanksgiving and Christmas time b/c the clinic was closed and we could not go for testing. Therefore, we were told during those time to just try naturally and skip the IUI treatment. Despite high cost of medication we had to delay that and it is not fair at all.
At least 50% of cost of doctor visit and medication were covered by insurance and even despite that we have spent more than 10,000.00 and to continue with IVF or egg donor was impossible for us due to additional cost.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
We had multiple experiences when we missed cycles during holiday hours. Despite spending all the high cost medications b/c the clinic was not open so they could do the blood work we had to skip the IUI cycle and were told to try naturally. My husband was very discouraged by this and since my insurance only would cover services with Duke doctors we could not leave and go to another clinic. We feel that the opportunity was lost for us to get pregnant in this clinic due to mismanage work that was done.
Treated 2015
Her [Dr. Jennifer Eaton] strengths are very organized and thorough. She knows exactly what should be the next steps as it relates to you...Her weaknesses is not having empathy when they are trying to decide best options along with financing IVF...I always felt she cared during the stages of possibly going to IVF. However, as time past along, my husband and I were speaking about our options, how to possibly fund it, and whether this was the best plan of action. When I called and emailed her about a more affordable option of IVF, my call nor email was not responded to. Therefore, I felt as if she was not showing any empathy to our needs and wanting to know if this would be an option for us versus traveling to the doctor's office and paying another co-pay for a five minute conversation.
They [nurses at Duke] were very nice...I didn't have to work with them that much other than walking me to the room, collecting blood, etc...The clinic strengths are very high as I felt they knew exactly what they were doing during my treatment. They're weaknesses were just moving me around so quickly that I felt there was not enough time to ask questions without feeling as if they were going to be bothered by another question. Also, sometimes I did not know what to ask or what are other options that could be cheaper...There is not anything that went specifically wrong, it's just having concern for people's needs because we as a couple are already stressed since were being told that we cannot be fruitful.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Her strengths are very organized and thorough. She knows exactly what should be the next steps as it relates to you. However, if patients have additional questions or concerns, I feel a return email should happen versus the patient coming in each time there is a question especially if University of Southern California is doing research on a cheaper option that your clinic offers. Her weaknesses is not having empathy when they are trying to decide best options along with financing IVF.
Respond to emails and voicemails.
After removing my right Fallopian tube based on complete blockage and inflammation, she determined that I had chronic endometriosis. Therefore, she recommended Lupron Depot to reduce the endometriosis and begin the fertility process with injections and IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
They were very nice...I didn't have to work with them that much other than walking me to the room, collecting blood, etc.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Over 10, 000 since I had to have a surgery.
Describe Jennifer Eaton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
I do not remember.
Durham
I really like Dr. Eaton! Only downside was she didn’t spend much time with me. I liked how she asked me what treatment plan i’d prefer before setting one up herself. She seemed optimistic which helps me also feel optimistic...The HSG resulted in a total tubal blockage on the right and some sort of spasm on the left. She thinks I do have atleast one good tube so she’s given me clomid and ovidrel next cycle to help. I previously saw an OBGYN who prescribed me 6 cycles of clomid with no results.
I would probably say that it’s kinda a pain to get ahold of the office or have a nurse call you back [at Duke Fertility Center]...She [nurse] seems very sweet. She did get confused with my plan of care but I sorted that out relatively fast...The wait times for an appt are somewhat atrocious though. They all seem genuinely pleased to help but it’s easy to feel overwhelmed there. The area for men to supply a semen sample is small and outdated.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
I would probably say that it’s kinda a pain to get ahold of the office or have a nurse call you back.
She didn’t really know me personally but she seemed somewhat eager to help.
So far I’ve only had an HSG and follow up consult. The HSG resulted in a total tubal blockage on the right and some sort of spasm on the left. She thinks I do have atleast one good tube so she’s given me clomid and ovidrel next cycle to help. I previously saw an OBGYN who prescribed me 6 cycles of clomid with no results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Courtney)
She seems very sweet. She did get confused with my plan of care but I sorted that out relatively fast.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I’ve only heard good things. The wait times for an appt are somewhat atrocious though. They all seem genuinely pleased to help but it’s easy to feel overwhelmed there. The area for men to supply a semen sample is small and outdated.
My insurance covered it but the initial consult was around $600. That was for ten minutes of her time. The HSG was over $1000
We can’t afford any IUI or IVF so this doesn’t pertain to me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
They wanted me to go through with IUI when I specifically said I couldn’t due to financial reasons. It took them a bit to reply and they stated it was a charting error.
Durham
Dr. Eaton was very good at walking us through our results and providing information about treatment options. I was also able to get in touch with her through the Duke portal so I never felt like I couldn't reach her....She is a great listener and loves to answer questions... We were given the option to do IUI or IVF. We started with IUI with clomid + trigger since the treatment protocol was less complicated. We had two IUIs that didn't work. Now moving to IVF and will be working out the meds for that with her.
The doctors and nursing staff [Duke Fertility] are excellent. They do everything on site including IVF which is great. The finance department is not very responsive if you have insurance and sometimes has the wrong information....The finance department told me the wrong coverage amounts for my insurance and I was accidentally charged for something that was covered. It was fixed but only because I noticed it didn't look right.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Come prepared with questions as she is a great source of information
She is a great listener and loves to answer questions
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Stephanie was always very prompt to help with meds and answer any questions that didn't require doctor input. She was also always so nice on the phone
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
The doctors and nursing staff are excellent. They do everything on site including IVF which is great. The finance department is not very responsive if you have insurance and sometimes has the wrong information.
My costs are low because I have good insurance coverage
She recommended SET unless the retrieval only has 2 mediocre quality embryos and in that case she will do 2.

Treated 2014 - 2018
Dr. Price patiently listened to my every concern. He was so kind and thoughtful. He would allow me to share studies with him and explain in a data driven way why he might come out differently. I think he’s probably the most thoughtful and knowledgeable physician I have ever encountered....Antagonist protocol (twice), with PGS testing of 5 day embryos. Produced 7 5-day embryos across two freeze all cycles. Agonist protocol with 3 day freeze all embryos.
They are a very good clinic [Duke Fertility Center]. They don’t have the most up to date technology, and you primarily see the REI fellow, but the physicians are very responsive to email communications and very thoughtful. I do wish the Used time-lapsed monitoring of embryos and had 3D sonography. I don’t know the quality of the lab and have a sense that it varies by the embryologist working...9k per cycle plus 1500 for ICSI plus 2 k for PGS testing....
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Don’t be put off my his seemingly straightforward manner. He’s a compassionate and brilliant clinician.
Dr. Price is an incredibly thoughtfu and truly brilliant physician. His demeanor is very straightforward, but he’s very honest, deeply thoughtful and always patient.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
They are a very good clinic. They don’t have the most up to date technology, and you primarily see the REI fellow, but the physicians are very responsive to email communications and very thoughtful. I do wish the Used time-lapsed monitoring of embryos and had 3D sonography. I don’t know the quality of the lab and have a sense that it varies by the embryologist working.
9k per cycle plus 1500 for ICSI plus 2 k for PGS testing.