6.5

5704 Fayetteville Road
Durham, NC 27713
919-572-4673

Treated 2019 - 2020
Dr Eaton has good intentions when we met with her. Her blunt delivery can come off as she is not taking your feelings and concerns into consideration and that her option is your only option but her honesty is what you are looking for in a provider. If I had to mention one area for her to improve in is her approach and display of compassion and hopefullness toward her patients. Infertility is a very sensitive subject matter and no woman or man wants to hear there is an issue with them as to why they are unable to achieve their goal of starting a family.
Nurse Kimberly [at Duke Fertility Center] is truly AMAZING! She always answered all of my many questions, walked us through the medication protocol, even if we were unsure about anything for us to reach out to her and she always responded in a timely fashion and even now assisting us with information needed to apply to funding for IVF our treatment, she has provided us with a detailed letter that covered all bases.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
She is not for the faint of heart. If you don't want the hard truth, with no chaser then she may not be the provider for you. Her demeanor and can be off-putting but she does have you and your care in her best interest.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
My initial treatment and care was done with Duke under the care of William Hurd in 2015; an awesome, caring, attentive, hopeful, in-tuned, proactive and understanding human who's mission was to help my husband and I start our family we so deeply wanted. He ran several test including surgery in 2015 to make sure I was in proper working order. With the 2 thumbs up everything looked great we just needed to get me ovulating. He started me on Clomid and said that he wanted me to let him know when we were ready to start. At the time of care we were TOTALY unaware of any male factor that would end up being the soul main factor of our infertility. My husband started experiencing some health issues which put a hold on starting our family. It was late 2017 early 2018 when we received notice from Duke that Dr. Hurd would be retiring and no longer practicing with Duke. Needless to say we were heart broken. In late 2017, my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney failure, a brain tumor and varicocele. Talk about a triple whammy!!! So now with this news, we would have to start back over with a new plan of action and provider. We started our consult with Jennifer Eaton late 2019 in hopes of starting our family on the same plan as with Dr. Hurd. Dr. Eaton was not sure of the results of my surgery, so she wanted to repeat the procedure. On top of the now male infertility factors, she stated that IVF would be our only option. We still wanted to try IUI to see if we would be successful but unfortunately we were not. She did advised me prior to surgery in order to increase our chances of a successful IVF I would need to have my blocked tube removed to decrease my chances of miscarriage or a failed cycle. I was not comfortable with redoing the surgery but after getting a second opinion on my surgery pictures from 2015 I was also advise to have the procedure repeated. In Jan 2020 I was diagnosed with a blocked left tube and had it removed by Dr Eaton. Dr Eaton now feels comfortable that we would have a better success rate with IVF when we are ready to move forward. Although this is not how my husband and I envisioned starting our family we know that Dr Eaton has our best interest at heart and she wants to help us achieve our goal of starting our family. We can't wait start our first IVF cycle!!!
Describe the protocols Jennifer Eaton used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We attempted one round of IUI. She had me to take Clomid, Menopur and Ovidrel. She did advise these medication would be similar to an IVF cycle. I had a great response to the medication cycle so she thinks We should do well with IVF medications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kimberly B)
Nurse Kimberly is truly AMAZING! She always answered all of my many questions, walked us through the medication protocol, even if we were unsure about anything for us to reach out to her and she always responded in a timely fashion and even now assisting us with information needed to apply to funding for IVF our treatment, she has provided us with a detailed letter that covered all bases. Duke fertility has a true Gem in Kimberly
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Over all, the staff and nurses are great! There is nothing bad or negative that i could say or what could be improved. Everyone is caring, compassionate, and are willing to share their story and offer hugs when needed. I love everything about Duke Fertility!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center.
For IUI we had to pay our of pocket about $550 and for medication about $570. We were told for IVF it would be about $13,000 for one cycle and about $1000 for medication and if we wanted genetic testing that would be an additional cost about $500.
Describe Jennifer Eaton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
Dr Eaton did note that because of my age that she would recommend IVF with two embryo transfer but we would cross that path once we start and see how my body responses to the IVF medication.
Treated 2016 - 2019
She [Dr. Eaton] is a great doctor and I feel very respected by her. She is warm and compassionate while also being direct and honest. She has a good sense of humor, she provides a lot of hope and optimism ... I’ve had several doctors perform procedures and I had honestly less Pain after she performs the procedure than others. Sometimes it is hard to get an appointment with her in a timely manner. Overall, I highly recommend her.
I’m often on hold for up to a half an hour on the phone. ... Once I’m there I feel they are organized and attentive, so I’m not sure what’s up with the phone issue. I truly feel very cared for and I think all my providers have been very competent. Duke is very protocol driven though, so if you’re interested in a clinic that Experiments with untested but promising new alternative modalities, this is not the place for you. But they make choices that seem very solid and research driven.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
She is a great doctor and I feel very respected by her. She is warm and compassionate while also being direct and honest. She has a good sense of humor, she provides a lot of hope and optimism, and she has a great sense of humor. I’ve had several doctors perform procedures and I had honestly less Pain after she performs the procedure than others. Sometimes it is hard to get an appointment with her in a timely manner. Overall, I highly recommend her.
You can trust her to be honest. She does follow pretty standard treatment protocols, so if you are looking for someone with an alternative approach, it might not be her. But she is very very grounded in research, and can quote the latest research findings for you.
She is warm, a sense of humor, always greets me with a hug, compassionate after loss, positive and hopeful, always leaves lots of time for questions, direct and clear about medical information and expectations.
We used the same approach in all five cycles. She was happy with the results, so we repeated to the same strategy every time. My issue was not egg quantity, and our embryos tend to live for five days, but with PGS it turns out we have lots of chromosomal issues. Each round was about 8-11 days of stimulation with 75 menopur and 150 gonal F. We did a natural FET transfer with estradiol patches for 4 weeks and acrimony vaginal progesterone. At 6 weeks we had a heart beat, at 7 nothing. Next transfer she recommends switching to IM progesterone in oil due to recent published study.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
I get hugs every time I come to the clinic from several different nurses. They have been warm and attentive. When I miscarried, two came into the room to give me hugs who were not even assigned to my case that day. Very kind and competent.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
It can be a pain to get somebody on the phone in a timely manner. I’m often on hold for up to a half an hour on the phone. This is certainly not ideal. Once I’m there I feel they are organized and attentive, so I’m not sure what’s up with the phone issue. I truly feel very cared for and I think all my providers have been very competent. Duke is very protocol driven though, so if you’re interested in a clinic that Experiments with untested but promising new alternative modalities, this is not the place for you. But they make choices that seem very solid and research driven. Over all I have found them to be extremely compassionate, caring, and person centered.
My doc Only allows a single transfer at a time for me because they are five day old blastocysts and PGS normal. I have not challenge this recommendation.
Durham
Dr. Steiner has such a warm, nurturing personality. She really makes an effort to explain everything in detail and answer all questions. She has called me personally to answer questions and has done routine monitoring scans herself when she is in the office, rather than the sonographer or nurse....When Dr. Steiner took over my care, I was "on the bench" due to a large ovarian cyst. Previously, we had done one cycle of timed intercourse using 5mg Letrozole plus an Ovidrel trigger and one IUI also using 5mg Letrozole and an Ovidrel trigger.
When I went back to the clinic [Duke Fertility] in February 2018 to try to conceive my second child, it was much different from my experience there in 2015 when I was trying to conceive my first child. In 2015, the doctors and staff were great, I felt like a person and not a number. Fast forward 3 years and that was not the case. My RE was the same as I saw in 2015, but the staff was all different. I did not have a good experience with the fellow that was there at the time, she did not have a good bedside manner or personality.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
I started seeing Dr. Steiner after my previous RE retired. I immediately saw the changes she brought not only to my care, but to the way the clinic did things. She has the best bedside manner, she is warm and compassionate, nuturing and really looks out for her patients. She takes the time to make sure all of your questions are answered and that you feel comfortable with every stage of treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Anne Steiner used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
When Dr. Steiner took over my care, I was "on the bench" due to a large ovarian cyst. Previously, we had done one cycle of timed intercourse using 5mg Letrozole plus an Ovidrel trigger and one IUI also using 5mg Letrozole and an Ovidrel trigger. The following 2 cycles I had to sit out due to the cyst. Dr. Steiner recommended birth control pills to help shrink the cyst and they worked! For the 5th cycle, Dr. Steiner recommended increasing the Letrozole to 7.5mg, plus the Ovidrel trigger and another IUI. It was negative unfortunately, but Dr. Steiner encouraged us to keep going and also talked with us about options for the future (ex: doing a HSG, adding in FSH injections or thinking about IVF). We did one more cycle (the 6th) with 7.5mg of Letrozole, the Ovidrel trigger and IUI, which was also negative. At this point, we had a consult with Dr. Steiner to talk about moving on to FSH injections (a min-stim cycle). Dr. Steiner really took the time to explain exactly how it would work and answer all of our questions. She also recommended switching from Letrozole to Clomid. For the 7th cycle, I took 100mg Clomid and 8 days of Gonal F injections (75iu, 75iu, 75iu, 75iu, 150iu, 150iu, 125iu, 125iu). Dr. Steiner made sure to communicate with me throughout the cycle and explained each time the dosage was increased/decreased. At the time of trigger, I had 1 18mm follicle, 2 17mm follicles and 2 16mm follicles. I was very nervous about the high risk of multiples and not sure if I should continue with the IUI. I contacted Dr. Steiner multiple times and she eased my fears. The 7th cycle was successful and I am now expecting my second child.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Kemper)
After Dr. Steiner joined the clinic, I could see positive changes in the staff. I've had the best experiences with Dr. Shaia- a fellow at the clinic; Stephanie Kemper, Cathy Gustafson, and Randa Blenden- nurses; and all of the medical assistants and phlebotomists. Everyone is warm and compassionate and goes out of their way to make me feel comfortable.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
When I went back to the clinic in February 2018 to try to conceive my second child, it was much different from my experience there in 2015 when I was trying to conceive my first child. In 2015, the doctors and staff were great, I felt like a person and not a number. Fast forward 3 years and that was not the case. My RE was the same as I saw in 2015, but the staff was all different. I did not have a good experience with the fellow that was there at the time, she did not have a good bedside manner or personality. Communication was not good, I did not have blood drawn during many stages of my cycles and I received conflicting information from different staff members. Then my RE retired and Dr. Steiner joined the clinic and took over my case and I could immediately see the positive changes. I was switched to a different fellow, I had blood drawn during every monitoring appointment and communication improved greatly. Dr. Steiner has been a truly positive addition to the clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center.
A consultation with Dr. Steiner was $55- my specialist co-pay. All monitoring and bloodwork appointments were fully covered. IUI appointments were $55. Medications: I purchased Letrozole ($5-$10) and Clomid ($15) through Walgreens. I purchased 3 Gonal F redi-pens from Freedom Fertility pharmacy ($330 per 300iu pen) and one from Town Drugstore ($270 per 300iu pen).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
As previously stated, when I first went back to the clinic in February 2018, I did not have a good experience. One time, I showed up for an appointment and it had not been scheduled and I received conflicting information between cycles 1 and 2.
Anne Steiner
Treated 2015 - 2017
Dr. Muasher takes time to come in and talk with me even when he's not scheduled to see me. He came in on a Saturday for one of my ultrasounds to see it without really needing to be there. He is always compassionate and had a warm heart...He's genuine, kind and respectful. He takes time to hold my hand and reassure me. I met him in 2015, when my husband and I decided to start fertility treatments after a miscarriage in November 2013. Dr. Muasher takes time to meet with me anymore my husband to go over results and our plan. He called me personally to discuss my concerns.
Front desk staff [at Duke]and very nice and have gotten to know my husband and me very well. I did have a bad experience with one of the nps in 2015, her bedside manner wasn't appropriate....I had medications that were called in twice and the pharmacy said I couldn't get them filled. Just confusing and a little frustrating....Organized Have a financial advisor Handouts Respond quickly...Approx $7500 out of pocket for first 2 rounds of iui with meds and all workup in 2015 Approx $650 for each iui cycle w/ meds
How was your experience with Suheil Muasher at Duke Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suheil Muasher at Duke Fertility Center?
Trust in him, he'll tailor your plan of care to what you need and what you feel comfortable with.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suheil Muasher at Duke Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Suheil Muasher used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
2015 Clomid 50mg days 3-7, follistim 75ui 8-10, times 2 .... failed IUI cycles 2017: 50 mg clomid, 75 gonalf days 8-10 =R- 20.5, 14, 19.5,13,11.5,10 3less L- 19,19,12 5 less 6.4 tri LH 4.22 E2 1751.02 ,... Failed IUI cycle Femera/75iu gonalf and iui cycle, only one large 26mm follicle, failed
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Amanda)
Front desk staff and very nice and have gotten to know my husband and me very well. I did have a bad experience with one of the nps in 2015, her bedside manner wasn't appropriate.... She want compassionate. She's no longer there.
Organized Have a financial advisor Handouts Respond quickly
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suheil Muasher at Duke Fertility Center.
Approx $7500 out of pocket for first 2 rounds of iui with meds and all workup in 2015 Approx $650 for each iui cycle w/ meds and visits in 2017... Insurance helps some now
Suheil Muasher
Treated 2015 - 2016
I have really liked Dr. Hurd since our first visit with him over a year ago. He is really warm and respectful and takes all of my suggestions into consideration. He tells me what to expect and is always there to answer questions. He encourages me to send him emails and doesn't seem annoyed with my endless questions. He seems very invested in helping us get pregnant.
Overall, I think the clinic [Duke Fertility] is really good. You can always get an appointment pretty quickly (within a week usually), and they are usually very prompt and you never have to wait long to see a doctor at your appointment. The nurses and technical staff are very smart and friendly. I don't love the doctors aside from mine [Dr Hurd] , but you only have to see a different doctor if yours isn't there that day (i.e. weekend call). My biggest complaint about the clinic is the financial department. They really don't seem to know or do much and have even led me astray on some important things.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
I would say advocate for yourself and push for things to be more aggressive or faster if that is what you want. Also, do not trust the financial office and be sure to double check everything with your insurance.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Hurd is extremely warm and comforting and makes you feel like you are in really good hands. He is optimistic but honest about things. He remembers my case and seems to be truly disappointed when things don't work out. I feel like he really wants to see us be successful, and not just for the clinic's statistics.
Describe the protocols William Hurd used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I started with Clomid to induce ovulation, which didn't work. Then we did injectables with IUI, but had to cancel two cycles (one because I ovulated too early and one because I did not respond). Then I did my first IVF cycle with Menopur and Cetrotide (no FSH alone because my LH is low so they thought I needed the extra LH from Menopur). Second IVF cycle is Menopur, Gonal-F, and cetrotide, but I can't say yet if it is more successful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
The IVF nurses (Ann and Ellen) are really good. They answer emails and respond to phone calls really quickly and are super sweet.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Overall, I think the clinic is really good. You can always get an appointment pretty quickly (within a week usually), and they are usually very prompt and you never have to wait long to see a doctor at your appointment. The nurses and technical staff are very smart and friendly. I don't love the doctors aside from mine, but you only have to see a different doctor if yours isn't there that day (i.e. weekend call). My biggest complaint about the clinic is the financial department. They really don't seem to know or do much and have even led me astray on some important things.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center.
IUIs were covered under my insurance, so that was copays of maybe $300 for 3 IUIs. IVF is not covered, so my first cycle was about $15K and my second cycle with PGS testing will be over $20K.
Treated 2014 - 2016
Dr. Hurd is extremely warm and comforting and makes you feel like you are in really good hands. He is optimistic but honest about things. He always remembered my case and seemed to be truly disappointed when things didn't work out. I feel like he really wanted to see us be successful, and not just for the clinic's statistics. He even gave me the option of getting a second opinion after our second failed transfer, but he said he thought he learned a lot about my body and that we could be successful on another try (which we were). I felt like he treated me as an educated participant rather than a patient who didn't know anything. He sent me a personal letter congratulating us after we had our baby and was very happy to see our success story.
I never wanted more than a single embryo transfer. This clinic [Duke Fertility Center] follows the guidelines, so it may not be the best for someone who wants twins or is willing to get OHSS for more eggs...The IVF nurses are all really good. They answer emails and respond to phone calls really quickly and are super sweet. Whenever I asked to talk to a doctor they had someone call me ASAP and never seemed annoyed...IVF was not covered, so my first cycle was about $15K and my second cycle with PGS testing was closer to $20K. With copays, acupuncture, supplements, counseling, etc., I'm sure we spent $40K.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
I really liked Dr. Hurd since our first visit with him and throughout the 3 years we were at Duke Fertility. He is really warm and respectful and took all of my suggestions into consideration. He told me what to expect and was always there to answer questions (in person, phone, or email). He never seemed annoyed with my endless questions and he took all of my suggestions into real consideration. He always seemed very invested in helping us get pregnant.
I would say advocate for yourself and push for things to be more aggressive or faster if that is what you want. The pace was perfect for me, and I never wanted more than a single embryo transfer. This clinic follows the guidelines, so it may not be the best for someone who wants twins or is willing to get OHSS for more eggs. Also, do not blindly trust the financial office and be sure to double check everything with your insurance.
I started with Clomid to induce ovulation, which didn't work. Then we did injectables with IUI, but had to cancel two cycles (one because I ovulated too early and one because I did not respond). Then I did my first IVF cycle with Menopur and Cetrotide (no FSH alone because my LH is low so they thought I needed the extra LH from Menopur). We got 13 eggs, 3 embryos, and 2 negative pregnancy tests from that egg retrieval. My second IVF cycle used Menopur, low dose Gonal-F, and cetrotide, and was much more successful. We got 18 eggs, 12 blastocysts, 6 PGS normal embryos, and 1 beautiful little boy from that egg retrieval. We still have the other 5 genetically normal embryos in the freezer for future children.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Overall, I think the clinic was really good. I could always get an appointment pretty quickly (within a week usually), and they are usually very prompt and I never had to wait long to see a doctor at my appointments. The nurses and technical staff are very smart and friendly. I didn't love the other doctors aside from mine, but you only have to see a different doctor if yours isn't there that day (i.e. weekend call). My biggest complaint about the clinic was the financial department - they really didn't seem to know or do much and even led me astray on some important things. But I was always very happy with my care and the quality of the lab for IVF.
IUIs were covered under my insurance, so they were copays of maybe $300 for 3 IUIs. IVF was not covered, so my first cycle was about $15K and my second cycle with PGS testing was closer to $20K. With copays, acupuncture, supplements, counseling, etc., I'm sure we spent $40K.
Describe William Hurd's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
Dr. Hurd was pretty adamant that we only do eSETs with our 5-day blasts (they allow multiple embryo transfer with 3-day embryos). He follows the research and guidelines, which I always respected and appreciated. After two failed eSETs, he probably would have let us do 2 if we wanted, but we did PGS testing and he definitely would not have let us transfer 2 genetically tested embryos (nor would we have wanted to!).
Treated 2015
He took the time to explain anything we didn't understand or wanted explained.... From the first consultation with Dr. Suheil Muasher we new that we were in the right place even if we weren't successful.... We used 3 day embryos and transferred them on day 3 because in a past cycle, are embryos died on day 3-4. It proved to be the right decision.... We had one healthy baby, which is now our beautiful almost 2 year old daughter.
The staff [Duke Fertility Ctr] always returned phone calls with questions and concerns in a timely manner. The financial coordinator made sure we had the info from our insurance company with exactly what was covered and what wasn't.... The only thing I didn't like is we had to wait hours in the waiting room with no knowledge of we had embryos or how many the morning of transfer but I hear that other people from other places experienced the same on transfer day.
How was your experience with Suheil Muasher at Duke Fertility Center?
We went through a IVF cycle with a different clinic that only does frozen cycles, so they would freeze our embryos on day 5. The problem was our embryos didn't live past 3-4 days, so we had none to freeze. From the first consultation with Dr. Suheil Muasher we new that we were in the right place even if we weren't successful. It truly felt like a different experience then the first clinic. He reviewed our records from the first IVF cycle and thought it was best to do a fresh cycle, we agreed. We retrieved 13 eggs and only had 3 embryos on day 3 that weren't showing signs of deterioration. So we transferred those 3 on day 3. We had a vanishing twin that they never got a heart beat from and was no longer there after 7-8 weeks. We had one healthy baby, which is now our beautiful almost 2 year old daughter. We are more than thankful and felt a tremendous amount of pressure because that cycle was the last that our insurance would help pay for, we new it was our last chance! I tell any one who might be considering IVF about our experience and Dr. Muasher.
Trust the process, this is what he does every day!
He took the time to explain anything we didn't understand or wanted explained.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
You get to know the nurses/staff very well because those are the people you see the most. With all the monitoring that's involved with IVF, these people are the front line and are a very important part of the process.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I always felt very confident in there knowledge and abilities. Everyone was friendly and if they didn't know the answer, they found someone who did. The staff always returned phone calls with questions and concerns in a timely manner. The financial coordinator made sure we had the info from our insurance company with exactly what was covered and what wasn't. She made sure we new exactly what we needed to get started and what the total cost was going to be. The staff was understanding and compassionate. The only thing I didn't like is we had to wait hours in the waiting room with no knowledge of we had embryos or how many the morning of transfer but I hear that other people from other places experienced the same on transfer day.
Suheil Muasher
Treated 2015 - 2017
Dr. Hurd never seemed in a rush and always took whatever amount of time was needed in order to make sure all my questions were answered. He truly seems to care...Dr. Hurd was always very open and honest in a good way. He explained our options and we are now waiting for our next appointment to discuss starting our IVf journey since we have had 3 failed iui's. He shows compassion and seems to really care about his patients...if there is something you don't understand, he will take the time to walk you through it.
Everyone [at Duke] except for one nurse has been great. One nurse (I'm assuming she was a nurse) called on the day that I found out I was going to miscarry and had no empathy and was somewhat rude when she called to tell me after I had already spoke with a nurse who was much more caring. She was more concerned with getting my next appointment scheduled than the fact that I was being told I was going to miscarry...I have no insurance benefits due to my husband's vasectomy reversal so I am self pay for everything.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Hurd was always very open and honest in a good way. He explained our options and we are now waiting for our next appointment to discuss starting our IVf journey since we have had 3 failed iui's. He shows compassion and seems to really care about his patients. When you are going through such a stressful day difficult time, it is nice to have someone who seems to truly care about you.
Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want and if there is something you don't understand, he will take the time to walk you through it.
During all of my iui's I took 50mg of clomid on cycle days 3-7. I would have my monitoring ultrasounds on the days that were necessary and then the insemination when it was suppose to be during my time of ovulation. I used ovidrel 250 as my trigger shot.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
Everyone except for one nurse has been great. One nurse (I'm assuming she was a nurse) called on the day that I found out I was going to miscarry and had no empathy and was somewhat rude when she called to tell me after I had already spoke with a nurse who was much more caring. She was more concerned with getting my next appointment scheduled than the fact that I was being told I was going to miscarry.

Treated 2013
I think Dr. Price does care about his patients, but doesn’t have a great bedside manner. He doesn’t take a lot of time to explain things in person, but he will respond to email....He isn’t one to think outside the box in regards to treatment. Very formulaic in the treatment of patients. If you are a basic case then he will work with you. I didn’t feel like he would thoroughly explain my options and I wasn’t given any resources....I was told donor eggs were my only option at age 34.
The billing was incorrect and took forever to fix. My high quality donor embryo didn’t thaw. My paperwork for frozen embryos listed 2 and there was only one....The only strength is that there are discounted plans if you’re a Duke employee. Other than that, go elsewhere. The financial office is a hot mess and billing is often wrong. The doctors don’t keep up with new techniques, and none of them are particularly compassionate. The lab is subpar, but there is a new embryologist. T
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Come with all your questions and steer the conversation. Bring an advocate if you are too emotional to do this yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Thomas Price used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I was told donor eggs were my only option at age 34. After pushing I was allowed to try a cycle of clomid. I responded great, but they never sent in my “trigger” shot to the pharmacist because, “they didn’t think I would respond.”
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
The nursing staff is pretty good.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
The only strength is that there are discounted plans if you’re a Duke employee. Other than that, go elsewhere. The financial office is a hot mess and billing is often wrong. The doctors don’t keep up with new techniques, and none of them are particularly compassionate. The lab is subpar, but there is a new embryologist. They often train fellows and they don’t know what they are doing a lot of the time.
Durham

Dr. Steiner is very well educated and knows what she is doing. She is very understanding and cares about her patients. Doesn't force any treatments and listens to what her patients want to do...is a great listener...She tries to adjust the treatment each time to something good different so she can find out what might work. She seems to know a few good ways to alter the ivf process to get more eggs and to increase r he lining...I did 3 monitored clomid cycles. We started with 100mg days 3-7 then moved on to 150mg days 3-7. We triggered at around day 12.
All of the nurses [at Duke Fertility Center] are amazing and understanding...For just a monitored cycle with clomid around $500...I believe the clinic doesnt have any weaknesses. They have everything to accommodate any treatment option. They are open 7 days a week which is how all fertility clinics should operate. They even have an acupuncture treatment person for after ivf...I did 3 monitored clomid cycles. We started with 100mg days 3-7 then moved on to 150mg days 3-7. We triggered at around day 12.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Steiner is a great listener and she knows what she is doing. She tries to adjust the treatment each time to something good different so she can find out what might work. She seems to know a few good ways to alter the ivf process to get more eggs and to increase r he lining.
Be optimistic and know that the doctors will listen to your concerns.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
All of the nurses are amazing and understanding.
For just a monitored cycle with clomid around $500
Anne Steiner
Durham
He's [Dr. Price] on the direct/blunt side, but I like that. Not super warm/fuzzy, but still kind. Really good at explaining every step during examinations and procedures, and keeping me calm. Answers questions in session, and through patient portal....I did 3 rounds of Prednisone and letrozol, which were unsuccessful in creating a pregnancy. He thinks I have PCOS and may not be ovulating, but I did appear to ovulate on the meds. An HSG was done, and IUI was recommended. Haven't started that yet.
[Duke Fertility is] Generally well organized, biggest strength is doctors, biggest weakness was financial advising staff. They seemed to frame everything in a negative light and really overwhelmed me. The online patient portal is great....[Nursing Staff] Generally kind and easy to talk to. Front desk staff sometimes appear busy/preoccupied.... He's [Dr. Price] on the direct/blunt side, but I like that. Not super warm/fuzzy, but still kind. Really good at explaining every step during examinations
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
He's on the direct/blunt side, but I like that. Not super warm/fuzzy, but still kind. Really good at explaining every step during examinations and procedures, and keeping me calm. Answers questions in session, and through patient portal.
Be sure your male partner has been assessed if applicable.
Allowed me to ask questions, and responds to emails.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center.
So far everything has been covered by insurance, with a copay. IUI will be 547+meds, ivf is estimated around 14k.
Describe Thomas Price's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
Treated 2017
I felt that Dr. Eaton took adequate time with me and that she expressed sorrow for the long infertility journey that I'd been on...I only saw Dr. Eaton about 3 or 4 times, but I felt that she was personable and took time with me as needed and answered my questions well. She referred me on to a rheumatologist when some blood tests showed other concerns that were outside of her expertise, and I appreciated that she wanted me to have those results looked at by another specialist.
Nothing stood out as exceptionally bad or good [at Duke Fertility Center]. The staff members that I saw seemed to do their jobs well. It would be nice if more of the doctors there were female as Dr. Eaton is the only woman out of 4 doctors...I had limited interaction with the nurses, but they seemed nice enough...I felt that Dr. Eaton took adequate time with me and that she expressed sorrow for the long infertility journey that I'd been on.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Ask questions and know what kinds of things you are and aren't comfortable with doing treatment-wise.
I didn't do any treatment cycles with Dr. Eaton.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
I had limited interaction with the nurses, but they seemed nice enough.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I don't have any suggestions. Nothing stood out as exceptionally bad or good. The staff members that I saw seemed to do their jobs well. It would be nice if more of the doctors there were female as Dr. Eaton is the only woman out of 4 doctors.
I don't remember specific costs. I only remember what I had to pay after insurance which was reasonable.
I didn't do any treatment cycles with Dr. Eaton.
Treated 2005 - 2012
He [Dr. Price] was amazing. Very personable. Personally called to check on me. Personally met me at the clinic in the weekend to draw labs...He was very kind and caring and was there for me every step of the way. Very knowledge and thourough. He describe every detail of what to expect. He was always available and responsive. He seem s to understand PCOS better than any other Doctor I had seen.
They [staff at Duke Fertility] were always available and responsive. Every single person I met was kind and caring from the receptionist to the lab staff to the embryologist to the nurses to the doctors to the students. Amazing place!...He [Dr. Price] was amazing. Very personable. Personally called to check on me. Personally met me at the clinic in the weekend to draw labs...He was very kind and caring and was there for me every step of the way.
He’s great! See him!!
He was amazing. Very personable. Personally called to check on me. Personally met me at the clinic in the weekend to draw labs.
It’s been a long time but what I can remember is starting with clomid because I wasn’t ovulating. When that didn’t work injections. When that didn’t work added IUI. When that didn’t work IVF. Ended up using ICSI too because sperm motility was poor.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
They were always available and responsive. Every single person I met was kind and caring from the receptionist to the lab staff to the embryologist to the nurses to the doctors to the students. Amazing place!
As a Duke employee I got 50% off so I think I spend around $5k or so
It was up to us. We went with 2 because we were okay with the idea of twins and wanted to increase our chances
Durham

Dr Eaton was very clear in her analysis of my data, was open to questions...I am confident in her plans...So far so good! I’ve had a consult and one treatment procedure and she was involved with both. Her recommendations for testing made sense, as does her proposed treatment plan. I look forward to our first fertility treatment...She is not an outgoing & warm doctor, but kind and thorough...she just checked AMH and did a hysteroscopy to rule out one issue. We’re moving to IUI soon.
So far, they have been clear about cost [at Duke Fertility Center] (which has been fantastic), work well with my insurance, and are willing to work with my schedule (I have to drive nearly an hour to get there). The nurses are kind and the doctor seems well-researched and reasonable...Cathy [nurse] is responsive and thorough!...My OBGYN did a lot of prior testing, so she [Dr. Eaton] just checked AMH and did a hysteroscopy to rule out one issue. We’re moving to I
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Ask questions! She is not an outgoing & warm doctor, but kind and thorough.
Dr Eaton was very clear in her analysis of my data, was open to questions, Ana I am confident in her plans.
My OBGYN did a lot of prior testing, so she just checked AMH and did a hysteroscopy to rule out one issue. We’re moving to IUI soon.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
Cathy is responsive and thorough!
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
So far, they have been clear about cost (which has been fantastic), work well with my insurance, and are willing to work with my schedule (I have to drive nearly an hour to get there). The nurses are kind and the doctor seems well-researched and reasonable.
So far, I’m just paying specialist copays or nothing because it is in-network for my insurance
Treated 2012 - 2015
He [Dr. Price] is honest and open with his patients. Some people may feel it’s not the best bedside manner but i liked his honesty. He truly cared about me as a patient and worked with us and our insurance to get the best results.... He was honest and cared about each cycle messaging me through their system to check on me.... Everyone there [Duke Fertility] seemed to really care about the patients. They were always open and willing to speak with you about anything.
Everyone there [Duke Fertility] seemed to really care about the patients. They were always open and willing to speak with you about anything. They made sure to be very friendly. One weakness was not having a space for those who were coming in finding out the pregnancy didn’t take. That felt rushed at times.... They were amazing going above and beyond to help with everything from making sure I had all my medications ordered
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
He is honest and open with his patients. Some people may feel it’s not the best bedside manner but i liked his honesty. He truly cared about me as a patient and worked with us and our insurance to get the best results.
Don’t be turned off by his bedside manner.
I don’t remember. We tried a lot of different things.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
They were amazing going above and beyond to help with everything from making sure I had all my medications ordered correctly to teaching me how to do injections.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Everyone there seemed to really care about the patients. They were always open and willing to speak with you about anything. They made sure to be very friendly. One weakness was not having a space for those who were coming in finding out the pregnancy didn’t take. That felt rushed at times.
Treated 2016
Dr. Eaton spent time carefully explaining my test results and answering my questions...Dr. Eaton is very attentive and clear in her communication. It is clear she cares about her patients. She is extremely knowledgeable and shares the latest research with her patients....There is a long wait time to book an appointment [at Duke Fertility Center] and it is difficult to get in touch with a live person on the phone. Messages are not always returned quickly by nurses.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
There is a long wait time to book an appointment and it is difficult to get in touch with a live person on the phone. Messages are not always returned quickly by nurses.