6.5

5704 Fayetteville Road
Durham, NC 27713
919-572-4673

Treated 2019 - 2020
Dr Eaton has good intentions when we met with her. Her blunt delivery can come off as she is not taking your feelings and concerns into consideration and that her option is your only option but her honesty is what you are looking for in a provider. If I had to mention one area for her to improve in is her approach and display of compassion and hopefullness toward her patients. Infertility is a very sensitive subject matter and no woman or man wants to hear there is an issue with them as to why they are unable to achieve their goal of starting a family.
Nurse Kimberly [at Duke Fertility Center] is truly AMAZING! She always answered all of my many questions, walked us through the medication protocol, even if we were unsure about anything for us to reach out to her and she always responded in a timely fashion and even now assisting us with information needed to apply to funding for IVF our treatment, she has provided us with a detailed letter that covered all bases.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
She is not for the faint of heart. If you don't want the hard truth, with no chaser then she may not be the provider for you. Her demeanor and can be off-putting but she does have you and your care in her best interest.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
My initial treatment and care was done with Duke under the care of William Hurd in 2015; an awesome, caring, attentive, hopeful, in-tuned, proactive and understanding human who's mission was to help my husband and I start our family we so deeply wanted. He ran several test including surgery in 2015 to make sure I was in proper working order. With the 2 thumbs up everything looked great we just needed to get me ovulating. He started me on Clomid and said that he wanted me to let him know when we were ready to start. At the time of care we were TOTALY unaware of any male factor that would end up being the soul main factor of our infertility. My husband started experiencing some health issues which put a hold on starting our family. It was late 2017 early 2018 when we received notice from Duke that Dr. Hurd would be retiring and no longer practicing with Duke. Needless to say we were heart broken. In late 2017, my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney failure, a brain tumor and varicocele. Talk about a triple whammy!!! So now with this news, we would have to start back over with a new plan of action and provider. We started our consult with Jennifer Eaton late 2019 in hopes of starting our family on the same plan as with Dr. Hurd. Dr. Eaton was not sure of the results of my surgery, so she wanted to repeat the procedure. On top of the now male infertility factors, she stated that IVF would be our only option. We still wanted to try IUI to see if we would be successful but unfortunately we were not. She did advised me prior to surgery in order to increase our chances of a successful IVF I would need to have my blocked tube removed to decrease my chances of miscarriage or a failed cycle. I was not comfortable with redoing the surgery but after getting a second opinion on my surgery pictures from 2015 I was also advise to have the procedure repeated. In Jan 2020 I was diagnosed with a blocked left tube and had it removed by Dr Eaton. Dr Eaton now feels comfortable that we would have a better success rate with IVF when we are ready to move forward. Although this is not how my husband and I envisioned starting our family we know that Dr Eaton has our best interest at heart and she wants to help us achieve our goal of starting our family. We can't wait start our first IVF cycle!!!
Describe the protocols Jennifer Eaton used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We attempted one round of IUI. She had me to take Clomid, Menopur and Ovidrel. She did advise these medication would be similar to an IVF cycle. I had a great response to the medication cycle so she thinks We should do well with IVF medications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kimberly B)
Nurse Kimberly is truly AMAZING! She always answered all of my many questions, walked us through the medication protocol, even if we were unsure about anything for us to reach out to her and she always responded in a timely fashion and even now assisting us with information needed to apply to funding for IVF our treatment, she has provided us with a detailed letter that covered all bases. Duke fertility has a true Gem in Kimberly
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Over all, the staff and nurses are great! There is nothing bad or negative that i could say or what could be improved. Everyone is caring, compassionate, and are willing to share their story and offer hugs when needed. I love everything about Duke Fertility!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center.
For IUI we had to pay our of pocket about $550 and for medication about $570. We were told for IVF it would be about $13,000 for one cycle and about $1000 for medication and if we wanted genetic testing that would be an additional cost about $500.
Describe Jennifer Eaton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
Dr Eaton did note that because of my age that she would recommend IVF with two embryo transfer but we would cross that path once we start and see how my body responses to the IVF medication.
Treated 2020
My experience with Dr Steiner was very strange...I asked about a test to check for a hormonal imbalance and she told me she has never heard of a test that checks for hormone imbalance. I asked twice to make sure I understood correctly with the same answer. I nearly fell out of my chair. I assume she just didn't want to give me the test since I'm not trying to get pregnant....but don't lie and say --as a fertility specialist--that you have never heard of a test for hormones. Whether it was a complete lack of concern, or a poor knowledge base, I would never recommender to anyone.
[The staff at Duke Fertility was] disorganized and didn't know I had already taken care of my copay online. They had asked me to fill out a form online, but it wasn't accessible...Based on my experience I would never recommend.The nurse who brought me into the office was very nice...Dr Steiner told me there were no tests available for hormonal assessment.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Someone referred me to Dr Steiner to get a second opinion regarding treatment options for endometriosis, so this was a consult. I asked about a test to check for a hormonal imbalance and she told me she has never heard of a test that checks for hormone imbalance. I asked twice to make sure I understood correctly with the same answer. I nearly fell out of my chair. I assume she just didn't want to give me the test since I'm not trying to get pregnant....but don't lie and say --as a fertility specialist--that you have never heard of a test for hormones. Whether it was a complete lack of concern, or a poor knowledge base, I would never recommender to anyone.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
If a patient is not there for fertility, you should still be honest with them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
My experience with Dr Steiner was very strange. She seemed very personable and sweet, but gave me information I know was false.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
Very disorganized, but I would l likely attribute that too covid. The nurse who brought me into the office was very nice.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
disorganized and didn't know I had already taken care of my copay online. They had asked me to fill out a form online, but it wasn't accessible. This could be attributed to covid-19; maybe they are not always this unorganized. Based on my experience I would never recommend.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center.
I have no idea until I get the bill.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
As I already mentioned, Dr Steiner told me there were no tests available for hormonal assessment.
Treated 2013 - 2019
Dr.Eaton truly loves her job as a reproductive endocrinologist. She works tirelessly to make sure her patients are heard, taken care of and respected, even by her own staff. Through all of the ups and downs of the infertility journey, I always felt like I had her in my corner to help me pick the best option for me, my spouse and our plans to be parents.... Dr. Eaton has great bedside manner. She truly gets to know her patients, their wants and desires and works with you to come up with a plan that meets all of your needs and comfort levels.
As an entity of Duke University, we had high expectations for the clinic. They were not met as the front desk staff, nurses and finance staff were unprofessional, not compassionate of patients, and unorganized. We made a serious of complaints over the years to leadership of the clinic and our own RE, Dr. Eaton. Our Dr. agreed with a lot of the complaints we had. At times we had considered leaving but stayed because we loved our doctor, Dr. Eaton. After being away from the clinic after getting pregnant and having our son, we now know that there has been a number of changes that seem to be improving the clinic.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
She has high expectations of her patients, staff and self.
We were introduced to Dr. Eaton after for failed unmedicated IUIs. Since I did not have any noted health issues, she recommend that we try medicated IUIs. The medication worked great, but the fellows who performed the IUIs could not navigate my spec fix and most likely the sperm never made it to the corrrct location. After 4 unsuccessful medicated IUIs, we decided to proceed with IVF. The protocol was birth control for ~22 days to suppress ovulation, stimulation medications to include Gonal F and Menopur. The doses given were high and caused me to stimulate too quickly. 15 eggs were retrieved after a week of stimulations. 8 eggs were mature, 4 fertilized and 3 made it to day 5. We transferred two fresh embryos, which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. After the difficulty with passing my cervix, Dr. Eaton wanted to only proceed with frozen transfers so that she could be the one to perform the transfer rather than the RE On call that day. We then transferred the remaining frozen embryo which also resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We then proceed per another IVF cycle. Repeated the birth control for ~22 days, but lower the dose of Gonal F and Menopur stimulation meds. Dr. Eaton pushed my body to 10 days, which resulted in borderline OHSS estradiol levels, so we did a freeze all. We retrieved 15 eggs, 14 mature, 13 fertilized and 8 made it to day 5. We transferred 2 eggs first which ended in a negative pregnancy test. Transferred two more, negative test. Transferred one more, positive pregnancy test and early miscarriage/chemical. Dr.Eaton found this to be promising as I finally got pregnant. We then decided to proceed to IVF Cycle#3, same protocol as IVF cycle #2, but do PGS testing. We retrieved 23 eggs, 15 mature, 13 fertilized, 12 made it to day 3, 2 made it to day 5, one was normal and one abnormal. We transferred the normal and remaining embryo from IVF cycle 2. We had a positive pregnancy test, a healthy 41 week pregnancy and a healthy baby boy born via c-section. We are now discussing steps for IVF cycle #4 for baby #2.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
In the 5 years we were at the clinic, we had a lot of turn over. There were so great nurses but due to leadership (which has since changed) at the clinic a lot of them did not stay long.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
For my first thre cycles as a Duke employee, I received a discount. My fourth upcoming cycle is no longer eligible for employee benefits do it will be $20k for IVF retrieval, ICSI, PGS testing, medications and one transfer.

Treated 2017 - 2019
I only see her [Dr Eaton] when I make specific consultation appointments, never for procedures like IUI, which hasn’t enabled me to develop a strong rapport with her or talk about things more informally during visits....I often felt like I got different answers at different times, like my doctor was too busy to remember what we’d discussed previously or her opinions about my treatment changed inexplicably.
Everyone [Duke Fertility Center] is kind and helpful, I rarely have to wait before appointments... I have no complaints about the clinic itself.... but I have been frustrated by the lack of organization - the staff seems to expect me to know when to schedule visits or order meds even though I am new to this. And I have been VERY frustrated by the lack of financial support - there are rebates and discount cards and pharmacy options that I’ve only learned about through my own research.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
I only see her when I make specific consultation appointments, never for procedures like IUI, which hasn’t enabled me to develop a strong rapport with her or talk about things more informally during visits.
Do your own research and come prepared to advocate for yourself.
I began with IUI using minimal stimulation (Menopur and Ovidrel), and after 6 failed IUIs, I switched to IVF. My first IVF cycle (Cetrotide, Gonal F, Menopur, Ovidrel) was converted to IUI because I didn’t respond as expected. I’m currently on my second IVF cycle with Lupron microdoes flare and a higher dosage of Gonal F (450 instead of 300 per night).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Randa Blenden)
Everyone is kind and responsive, but I have been frustrated by the lack of organization - the staff seems to expect me to know when to schedule visits or order meds even though I am new to this. And I have been VERY frustrated by the lack of financial support - there are rebates and discount cards and pharmacy options that I’ve only learned about through my own research. Nurses should inform patients of these options right up front. I could have saved hundreds of dollars had they told me my financial options at the start of my treatment.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Everyone is kind and helpful, I rarely have to wait before appointments, and the staff is good at scheduling visits around my schedule. I have no complaints about the clinic itself. It runs very efficiently.
15K and counting
Haven’t gotten there yet but I think she recommends multiple at my age (&gt;40)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
I wish nursing staff was more helpful with regard to the cheapest options for ordering very expensive medications. And it would be helpful for them to be more organized about how to prepare for cycles and when to check things off the list for IVF.
Durham
Dr. Eaton has listened to me and my husband’s concerns and incorporated me in my own treatment. She explained everything very well. She is kind and compassionate which I appreciated during this difficult process...is very intelligent and was knowledgeable about treatment options. She was able to answer all of our questions without hesitation. She is honest and told us what she thought would work best for us...now recommends IVF for since I’ve had 4 IUIs now.
Kim [nurse at Duke Fertility Center] is friendly and always responds my to messages and calls. She does not forget to follow up. There was another nurse Stephanie who sent me the wrong treatment calendar and instructions before and I had to correct her...They are always able to get me in for appointments for blood and ultrasound that work with my schedule and are quick to follow up with me. Some days the waiting rooms are really full but I’ve only had to wait long a few times. After my ultrasound they have you go back in the waiting room until they draw your blood.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr Eaton is very intelligent and was knowledgeable about treatment options. She was able to answer all of our questions without hesitation. She is honest and told us what she thought would work best for us.
Come prepared with questions for her to answer. She took the time to answer all our questions.
When I started seeing Dr. Eaton I was already on Femara that my OB has previously put me on and increased my dose. She had me continue taking this dose and had me come for baseline day 3 ultrasound, day 12 ultrasound & bloodwork and then had me trigger with Ovidrel if I was ready that night and come 36 hrs later for IUI. I have responded to well and have been ovulating but just haven’t gotten pregnant. Dr. Eaton now recommends IVF for since I’ve had 4 IUIs now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Kim is friendly and always responds my to messages and calls. She does not forget to follow up. There was another nurse Stephanie who sent me the wrong treatment calendar and instructions before and I had to correct her.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I am a Duke employee so I have a special insurance plan with my employer. I paid 55$ for visits where I saw Dr. Eaton and 55$ per IUI. All my ultrasounds and blood work are free.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
When I first started IUI the nurse sent me the wrong treatment calendar. They did promptly fix this when I told them.
Treated 2016 - 2019
She [Dr. Eaton] is a great doctor and I feel very respected by her. She is warm and compassionate while also being direct and honest. She has a good sense of humor, she provides a lot of hope and optimism ... I’ve had several doctors perform procedures and I had honestly less Pain after she performs the procedure than others. Sometimes it is hard to get an appointment with her in a timely manner. Overall, I highly recommend her.
I’m often on hold for up to a half an hour on the phone. ... Once I’m there I feel they are organized and attentive, so I’m not sure what’s up with the phone issue. I truly feel very cared for and I think all my providers have been very competent. Duke is very protocol driven though, so if you’re interested in a clinic that Experiments with untested but promising new alternative modalities, this is not the place for you. But they make choices that seem very solid and research driven.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
She is a great doctor and I feel very respected by her. She is warm and compassionate while also being direct and honest. She has a good sense of humor, she provides a lot of hope and optimism, and she has a great sense of humor. I’ve had several doctors perform procedures and I had honestly less Pain after she performs the procedure than others. Sometimes it is hard to get an appointment with her in a timely manner. Overall, I highly recommend her.
You can trust her to be honest. She does follow pretty standard treatment protocols, so if you are looking for someone with an alternative approach, it might not be her. But she is very very grounded in research, and can quote the latest research findings for you.
She is warm, a sense of humor, always greets me with a hug, compassionate after loss, positive and hopeful, always leaves lots of time for questions, direct and clear about medical information and expectations.
We used the same approach in all five cycles. She was happy with the results, so we repeated to the same strategy every time. My issue was not egg quantity, and our embryos tend to live for five days, but with PGS it turns out we have lots of chromosomal issues. Each round was about 8-11 days of stimulation with 75 menopur and 150 gonal F. We did a natural FET transfer with estradiol patches for 4 weeks and acrimony vaginal progesterone. At 6 weeks we had a heart beat, at 7 nothing. Next transfer she recommends switching to IM progesterone in oil due to recent published study.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
I get hugs every time I come to the clinic from several different nurses. They have been warm and attentive. When I miscarried, two came into the room to give me hugs who were not even assigned to my case that day. Very kind and competent.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
It can be a pain to get somebody on the phone in a timely manner. I’m often on hold for up to a half an hour on the phone. This is certainly not ideal. Once I’m there I feel they are organized and attentive, so I’m not sure what’s up with the phone issue. I truly feel very cared for and I think all my providers have been very competent. Duke is very protocol driven though, so if you’re interested in a clinic that Experiments with untested but promising new alternative modalities, this is not the place for you. But they make choices that seem very solid and research driven. Over all I have found them to be extremely compassionate, caring, and person centered.
My doc Only allows a single transfer at a time for me because they are five day old blastocysts and PGS normal. I have not challenge this recommendation.
Durham
I really like Dr. Eaton! Only downside was she didn’t spend much time with me. I liked how she asked me what treatment plan i’d prefer before setting one up herself. She seemed optimistic which helps me also feel optimistic...The HSG resulted in a total tubal blockage on the right and some sort of spasm on the left. She thinks I do have atleast one good tube so she’s given me clomid and ovidrel next cycle to help. I previously saw an OBGYN who prescribed me 6 cycles of clomid with no results.
I would probably say that it’s kinda a pain to get ahold of the office or have a nurse call you back [at Duke Fertility Center]...She [nurse] seems very sweet. She did get confused with my plan of care but I sorted that out relatively fast...The wait times for an appt are somewhat atrocious though. They all seem genuinely pleased to help but it’s easy to feel overwhelmed there. The area for men to supply a semen sample is small and outdated.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
I would probably say that it’s kinda a pain to get ahold of the office or have a nurse call you back.
She didn’t really know me personally but she seemed somewhat eager to help.
So far I’ve only had an HSG and follow up consult. The HSG resulted in a total tubal blockage on the right and some sort of spasm on the left. She thinks I do have atleast one good tube so she’s given me clomid and ovidrel next cycle to help. I previously saw an OBGYN who prescribed me 6 cycles of clomid with no results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Courtney)
She seems very sweet. She did get confused with my plan of care but I sorted that out relatively fast.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I’ve only heard good things. The wait times for an appt are somewhat atrocious though. They all seem genuinely pleased to help but it’s easy to feel overwhelmed there. The area for men to supply a semen sample is small and outdated.
My insurance covered it but the initial consult was around $600. That was for ten minutes of her time. The HSG was over $1000
We can’t afford any IUI or IVF so this doesn’t pertain to me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
They wanted me to go through with IUI when I specifically said I couldn’t due to financial reasons. It took them a bit to reply and they stated it was a charting error.
Durham
Dr. Eaton was very good at walking us through our results and providing information about treatment options. I was also able to get in touch with her through the Duke portal so I never felt like I couldn't reach her....She is a great listener and loves to answer questions... We were given the option to do IUI or IVF. We started with IUI with clomid + trigger since the treatment protocol was less complicated. We had two IUIs that didn't work. Now moving to IVF and will be working out the meds for that with her.
The doctors and nursing staff [Duke Fertility] are excellent. They do everything on site including IVF which is great. The finance department is not very responsive if you have insurance and sometimes has the wrong information....The finance department told me the wrong coverage amounts for my insurance and I was accidentally charged for something that was covered. It was fixed but only because I noticed it didn't look right.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Come prepared with questions as she is a great source of information
She is a great listener and loves to answer questions
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Stephanie was always very prompt to help with meds and answer any questions that didn't require doctor input. She was also always so nice on the phone
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
The doctors and nursing staff are excellent. They do everything on site including IVF which is great. The finance department is not very responsive if you have insurance and sometimes has the wrong information.
My costs are low because I have good insurance coverage
She recommended SET unless the retrieval only has 2 mediocre quality embryos and in that case she will do 2.
Durham

Dr. Steiner is very well educated and knows what she is doing. She is very understanding and cares about her patients. Doesn't force any treatments and listens to what her patients want to do...is a great listener...She tries to adjust the treatment each time to something good different so she can find out what might work. She seems to know a few good ways to alter the ivf process to get more eggs and to increase r he lining...I did 3 monitored clomid cycles. We started with 100mg days 3-7 then moved on to 150mg days 3-7. We triggered at around day 12.
All of the nurses [at Duke Fertility Center] are amazing and understanding...For just a monitored cycle with clomid around $500...I believe the clinic doesnt have any weaknesses. They have everything to accommodate any treatment option. They are open 7 days a week which is how all fertility clinics should operate. They even have an acupuncture treatment person for after ivf...I did 3 monitored clomid cycles. We started with 100mg days 3-7 then moved on to 150mg days 3-7. We triggered at around day 12.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Steiner is a great listener and she knows what she is doing. She tries to adjust the treatment each time to something good different so she can find out what might work. She seems to know a few good ways to alter the ivf process to get more eggs and to increase r he lining.
Be optimistic and know that the doctors will listen to your concerns.
Describe the protocols Anne Steiner used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
All of the nurses are amazing and understanding.
For just a monitored cycle with clomid around $500

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Steiner is very warm and personable. She really cares. She's knowledgeable, warm, and kind. I feel like she listens and really cares. I enjoyed working with her. I just think that the clinic is rather overloaded. I wish I'd had more time directly with her...Don't expect much face to face time, but it's not her fault...We did two agonist cycles given success with that approach previously...there's very little face-to-face physician/patient time...
Cathy [nurse at Duke] has a wonderful heart. She truly cares about her patients. She is knowledgeable about the treatment protocols and will go the extra mile to help patients...Duke isn't the most organized clinic. I think it's due to volume...is a high volume clinic. Lots of patients because people with Duke insurance can only get coverage there. I think they could use more providers and more nurses. There are good people there, though.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Don't expect much face to face time, but it's not her fault.
Dr. Steiner is very warm and personable. She really cares. I do think Duke is overloaded though, and there's very little face-to-face physician/patient time built into their model.
We did two agonist cycles given success with that approach previously.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Cathy Gustafson)
Cathy has a wonderful heart. She truly cares about her patients. She is knowledgeable about the treatment protocols and will go the extra mile to help patients.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Duke is a high volume clinic. Lots of patients because people with Duke insurance can only get coverage there. I think they could use more providers and more nurses. There are good people there, though.
It was around $4500 per cycle, not including medications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
Duke isn't the most organized clinic. I think it's due to volume.
Durham

Dr Eaton was very clear in her analysis of my data, was open to questions...I am confident in her plans...So far so good! I’ve had a consult and one treatment procedure and she was involved with both. Her recommendations for testing made sense, as does her proposed treatment plan. I look forward to our first fertility treatment...She is not an outgoing & warm doctor, but kind and thorough...she just checked AMH and did a hysteroscopy to rule out one issue. We’re moving to IUI soon.
So far, they have been clear about cost [at Duke Fertility Center] (which has been fantastic), work well with my insurance, and are willing to work with my schedule (I have to drive nearly an hour to get there). The nurses are kind and the doctor seems well-researched and reasonable...Cathy [nurse] is responsive and thorough!...My OBGYN did a lot of prior testing, so she [Dr. Eaton] just checked AMH and did a hysteroscopy to rule out one issue. We’re moving to I
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Ask questions! She is not an outgoing & warm doctor, but kind and thorough.
Dr Eaton was very clear in her analysis of my data, was open to questions, Ana I am confident in her plans.
My OBGYN did a lot of prior testing, so she just checked AMH and did a hysteroscopy to rule out one issue. We’re moving to IUI soon.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
Cathy is responsive and thorough!
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
So far, they have been clear about cost (which has been fantastic), work well with my insurance, and are willing to work with my schedule (I have to drive nearly an hour to get there). The nurses are kind and the doctor seems well-researched and reasonable.
So far, I’m just paying specialist copays or nothing because it is in-network for my insurance
Durham
she [Dr. Anne Steiner] thoroughly went through everything with diagrams and models...is a down to earth doctor who always answers questions along with making sure we understood...Not only did she give me information about my body as a woman I didn’t even know but she also makes sure that I keep my primary doctor in the loop for potential birth defects from my medicine...
Strengths [of the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center] would be making you feel comfortable. They’re also very informative with places to get fertility loans. Weaknesses id say they’re a little unorganized...I was told that my insurance covered the appointments but suddenly I had to pay out of pocket for consultations...I know it’s like $16,000 to do 1 cycle with 2 egg retrievals...[Dr.] Steiner is a down to earth doctor who always answers questions along with making sure we understood before we made our trip back home...Not only did she give me information about my body as a woman I didn’t even know but she also makes sure that I keep my primary doctor in the loop for potential birth defects from my medicine
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Steiner is a down to earth doctor who always answers questions along with making sure we understood before we made our trip back home to Jacksonville NC. Not only did she give me information about my body as a woman I didn’t even know but she also makes sure that I keep my primary doctor in the loop for potential birth defects from my medicine
Ask as many questions as possible. Relax and don’t feel uncomfortable being transparent
A human because she thoroughly went through everything with diagrams and models
I have not did the treatment yet we must pay beforehand.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
Strengths would be making you feel comfortable. They’re also very informative with places to get fertility loans. Weaknesses id say they’re a little unorganized
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Please have insurance and if you don’t make sure you get quoted beforehand. If you can I’d advise getting a plan with fertility included. Also bring a notepad with you to take notes. Keep receipts etc
I know it’s like $16,000 to do 1 cycle with 2 egg retrievals
Treated 2017 - 2018
While Dr. Hurd is extremely knowledgeable, his "bedside" manner is lacking. He provides a lot of information during each consultation visit, but is very clinical in his delivery which can be difficult for a non-medical person to understand or absorb. It is especially difficult when you are very new to the fertility process.... After being diagnosed with unexplained fertility, Dr. Hurd initially presented several IUI and IVF options. He outlined the benefits and drawbacks of each option including estimated costs. Since my husband and I were new to the fertility process and due to the lower initial cost, we elected to try IUI with Clomid and Ovidrel trigger shot.
One of the clinic's [Duke Fertility Center] strengths is I think they are cognizant of the costs associated with fertility treatments and try to find ways to help keep the patient's costs down whenever possible. Additionally, the staff is very nice. However, at times the front desk staff can seem a little disorganized.... Dr. Hurd's nurse, KC has been helpful during the process. She has been good at responding to phone calls and emails. She is a good compliment to Dr. Hurd's "bed side" manner.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Hurd has a wealth of information due to the number of years he has been practicing, but I feel he lacks the ability to connect or empathize with his patients. During my appointments, his delivery of information has always been very clinical. With such a very sensitive and emotional experience dealing with fertility issues, I would prefer if he could be more compassionate and empathic. It would also be helpful to have a clear and concise summary of what was discussed as well as any follow-up instructions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
I would recommend bringing someone with to each consultation so they can help take in all of the information provided during appointments. If you are able, I would also advise taking notes during the appointments. Additionally, research as much as possible before the appointments so you can advocate for yourself. I have found that Dr. Hurd is open to suggestions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols William Hurd used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
After being diagnosed with unexplained fertility, Dr. Hurd initially presented several IUI and IVF options. He outlined the benefits and drawbacks of each option including estimated costs. Since my husband and I were new to the fertility process and due to the lower initial cost, we elected to try IUI with Clomid and Ovidrel trigger shot. While I was provided with a lot of information concerning the IUI process for each cycle, I felt some of the basic information (when to test for ovulation) was left out. To date we have only tried one IUI cycle which did not result in a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: KC)
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
One of the clinic's strengths is I think they are cognizant of the costs associated with fertility treatments and try to find ways to help keep the patient's costs down whenever possible. Additionally, the staff is very nice. However, at times the front desk staff can seem a little disorganized.
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Hurd seems like a very kind, knowledgeable doctor during the consult. However, he recommended we do regular insemination, and then that changed to 50 regular/50 ICSI, and then we were told that really the best case was all ICSI. We wanted the best outcome, and were very confused as to why this changed 3 times during our process.... You will rarely see Dr. Hurd, so during your consult, really take the time to ask ALL the questions you have.
Extremely poor internal communication. I understand this clinic [Duke Fertility Ctr] sees a lot of patients, but they really need to get their processes in place. The first thing they tell you when beginning IVF is that you need to try not to stress. I didn't even feel very stressed throughout the process, except when I had to visit the office. They messed up time after time, making me so upset and stressed.... They do not give great medication instructions. When you are sent 3 different needles, it would be great to know which one goes with which medication.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
I only saw Dr. Hurd at the initial consult, and then again during my egg retrieval. I probably saw about 15 other staff during my IVF cycle, and they usually didn't seem to remember who I was or didn't bother to read my charts.
We were first recommended to do regular insemination, then that was changed to 50 ICSI/50 regular, and then all ICSI. We did a regular IVF cycle, which resulted in retrieving 24 eggs, and 5 made it to the blastocyst stage. 1 was transferred, and a positive pregnancy test was confirmed. It's only been 5 weeks so it is still early to know the final result.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Amanda)
At my first nurses appointment, I thought Amanda was great, and then all went downhill after that. I had issue after issue trying to get my medications, when she needed to provide information to the pharmacy. I actually had to have my husband go into the office, and then I had to go in myself, because phone calls weren't resolving the issues. She also called in a wrong medication, but she did at least fix that situation, and got the pharmacy to return it. When I would leave messages with questions for Amanda, she would always return my phone call within a few hours, however, half the time she didn't even look at my chart or ask the doctor questions when she did not know the answer. For example, when I went off birth control, and I was starting my cycle, she told me that shouldn't happen, and then she called back the next day and said she had checked with the doctor, and that it was actually OK. She also continued to instruct me to use a medication that I wasn't prescribed, rather than changing my chart.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Extremely poor internal communication. I understand this clinic sees a lot of patients, but they really need to get their processes in place. The first thing they tell you when beginning IVF is that you need to try not to stress. I didn't even feel very stressed throughout the process, except when I had to visit the office. They messed up time after time, making me so upset and stressed. My husband and I eventually sat down with the office manager, because we could not believe the amount of issues that had piled up, everything from wrong financial information, to prescription issues, to having my records wrong, to not even looking at my records. It's also important to know, I have had a positive pregnancy test, and I'm waiting for my first ultrasound, but even with that result, I would never want to recommend this clinic to anyone and have them deal with the stress the staff put me through.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center.
Under my husband's insurance we had a discounted flat rate, and this is why we had to use Duke. 50% off all medications, medications totaled around $4,000. IVF cycle (including monitoring, egg retrieval, transfer) = $4500 and additional $450 to wait until Day 5.
Describe William Hurd's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
Multiple embryo transfer was not even discussed for me. I don't believe that Dr. Hurd or the clinic would do this for someone under 35, unless they really did not see 1 being successful.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
1. Incorrect medication was ordered, and the doctor's office delayed my medications from being sent because they were not following up with the pharmacy's questions. I started trying to get my medications on January 2, 2018 and did not receive them all until January 26, 2018 and my first baseline appointment was on January 29, 2018. 2. They do not give great medication instructions. When you are sent 3 different needles, it would be great to know which one goes with which medication. They also told me to watch the Freedom Fertility videos, but some of those differ from the amounts they wanted me to use. 3. Staff do not look at charts/records when prior to seeing a patient. At my baseline ultrasound I was asked multiple times what day of my cycle I was on, when I explained that I wasn't because I had been on birth control. Both my husband and I were so confused/concerned after that appointment, thinking we had been instructed wrong. 4. Some staff are not sure of themselves, I even overheard some in the hallway while waiting in the ultrasound room about how follicles were written and recorded on one side, but the actual photos showed it was the other side. Really concerned hearing this, when I was waiting for an ultrasound. 5. During my transfer, the Doctor asked if the Fellow could do my transfer. I agreed, and the Fellow was asking for something, but the embryologist came over the speaker saying she didn’t need that, and she said Oh I mean this instead. At that point, I felt the Fellow didn’t know what she was doing. 6. Incorrect Information Provided - Shortly after my baseline ultrasound, when I was instructed to stop birth control, I felt I was getting my cycle. When I called the nurse to ask if this was normal, she told me I should not have a period, and that if I had heavy bleeding to call back. The next day I got my period and called back and that time I was told that she checked with the doctor and it was normal. 7. Financial staff were often not in the office during our visits, and when they were we were only able to talk to one staff member who was brand new and not able to answer our questions. This led to a surprise on our Day 3 visit when we were told we would owe $450 more if we waited until Day 5, which was never told to us in the beginning. 8. Told 3 different things by Dr. Hurd, and I mainly believe this was due to him not looking at my husband's records to be able to make the right decisions. We were told there was no need to do ICSI, and then recommended we do half, and then full. And during all of that we were told by the doctor in a MyChart email that half ICSI would cost the same as regular...but after we looked into this further, he said that was not the case, and he meant that if we did half ICSI it was the same as full ICSI. 9. During my first follicle ultrasound, I had to wait 45 minutes for blood work, after asking the front desk multiple times. When I finally got my blood drawn, the phlebotomist told me that she had tried to go look for me in the back because she thought I was at my nurse's appointment...when I wasn't even there for a nurse appointment I was there for an ultrasound. 10. I had an allergic reaction to my shots, and when I called the REI Fellow on call, she called me back and told me she would check with the doctor and call back in the afternoon. I never received a call, so I called the on call line back, she called me back and said she had totally forgot to call me back. 11. During my first blood test to see if the transfer had worked, I was told I'd received a call between 12-3 p.m. At 3:30 p.m., still no call. I called the office, and they had the nurse call me. The nurse rudely told me she had left a message on my phone at 1:40 p.m. I had been anxiously waiting near my phone all afternoon, and did not have any missed calls or messages, so I'm not sure who got that message.
Durham
Appeared very knowledgeable but did not have any patient compassion. He [Dr. Price] honestly made us feel like we were taking up his time when we asked lots of questions, did not give me blount information, always “danced” around some topics and have more statistics than honest answers.... he never knew my chart when he entered the room, always asked me questions that has been answered in previous meetings that were clearly on the chart
Had trouble getting a call back from the clinic [Duke Fertility Center], would be on hold from 5-50 minutes... Very clean, up to date patient areas, flexible with appointments during IVF cycle, kind front office staff. Great turnaround time when calling with results of testing, although some nurses were rude on the phone when giving negative HCG results, offered psychological assistance of dealing with stress from IVF.... Some were knowledgeable, others were not.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Appeared very knowledgeable but did not have any patient compassion. He honestly made us feel like we were taking up his time when we asked lots of questions, did not give me blount information, always “danced” around some topics and have more statistics than honest answers.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Expect statistics and no real answers. When asking him about further treatment and knowing that my egg quality is poor along with severe endometriosis, he continued to suggest IVF when asked about egg donors.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Had trouble getting a call back from the clinic, would be on hold from 5-50 minutes, he never knew my chart when he entered the room, always asked me questions that has been answered in previous meetings that were clearly on the chart
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
Some were knowledgeable, others were not. Some were compassionate, 1 nurse was not. But all were kind.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Poor call back time, do not answer the phones, put patients on hold for long wait times (I once held 50 minutes adyetctgere was a message left for me to return their call). Very clean, up to date patient areas, flexible with appointments during IVF cycle, kind front office staff. Great turnaround time when calling with results of testing, although some nurses were rude on the phone when giving negative HCG results, offered psychological assistance of dealing with stress from IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center.
$18000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
Did not get a call regarding baseline ultrasound after I had called to schedule the appointment and left a message for a return call. Did not get pre op instructions night before egg retrieval. Had to call on-call physician both times.
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Eaton was pleasant and knowledgeable. I wish she and not a fellow would perform the IUI’s... I was surprised that some things weren’t covered, outside of my questions at the end. (Like at the end of the day, what is our liklihood of bringing home a baby using IUI vs. IVF or how does my weight impact these numbers?)... . Each cycle was about the same. Med doses didn’t change as we continued doing IUI’s. For IVF, we learned that we didn’t stimulate long enough, and many of my eggs were not mature. I did one more IUI after this, and I didn’t feel like that was taken into consideration during the IUI.
The providers [at Duke Fertility Center] are well educated and follow a strict protocol. I felt like it was still important for me to come with my own questions and to see if there was any flexibility or more clarity. Befriend the financial care counselors, they are super helpful!... The nursing staff was helpful in that they explained things well (like how to use the medications, etc.), and would call back in a timely manner. However, I felt like when they called to deliver bad news, it was always really uncomfortable and awkward (like saying “your results came back and you’re not pregnant” with an upbeat attitude.)
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Eaton was pleasant and knowledgeable. I wish she and not a fellow would perform the IUI’s. I felt safe and comfortable in her care, but I didn’t feel like things were tailored to us as much as they could have been.
I would say to come with a list of questions. In our meetings, I was surprised that some things weren’t covered, outside of my questions at the end. (Like at the end of the day, what is our liklihood of bringing home a baby using IUI vs. IVF or how does my weight impact these numbers?)
When asking questions, I felt like the responses were not tailored to me, but rather what the “data” said. Even though I noted how our situation might be different, it felt like they were just following a protocol that they wouldn’t move away from.
For IUI, I started with clomid, which gave me horrible side effects - so I switched to letrozole for the rest of my IUI cycles. Each cycle was about the same. Med doses didn’t change as we continued doing IUI’s. For IVF, we learned that we didn’t stimulate long enough, and many of my eggs were not mature. I did one more IUI after this, and I didn’t feel like that was taken into consideration during the IUI.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
The providers are well educated and follow a strict protocol. I felt like it was still important for me to come with my own questions and to see if there was any flexibility or more clarity. Befriend the financial care counselors, they are super helpful!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Duke Fertility Center.
Monitoring appointments were smooth, but always done by different providers.
I am a Duke Employee with set pricing for going to a Duke fertility clinic.
She refused to do a multiple embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
My blood was taken for genetic testing, and I never got the results in my online chart. When I asked about it, I was told I needed to come back in to give more blood for it, but everyone was scared to tell me what happened (did they forget to order it? Did they drop it?) And even though at this point my doctor gave me a specific result, it is not noted anywhere in my chart. Very weird.
Durham
Dr. Steiner has such a warm, nurturing personality. She really makes an effort to explain everything in detail and answer all questions. She has called me personally to answer questions and has done routine monitoring scans herself when she is in the office, rather than the sonographer or nurse....When Dr. Steiner took over my care, I was "on the bench" due to a large ovarian cyst. Previously, we had done one cycle of timed intercourse using 5mg Letrozole plus an Ovidrel trigger and one IUI also using 5mg Letrozole and an Ovidrel trigger.
When I went back to the clinic [Duke Fertility] in February 2018 to try to conceive my second child, it was much different from my experience there in 2015 when I was trying to conceive my first child. In 2015, the doctors and staff were great, I felt like a person and not a number. Fast forward 3 years and that was not the case. My RE was the same as I saw in 2015, but the staff was all different. I did not have a good experience with the fellow that was there at the time, she did not have a good bedside manner or personality.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
I started seeing Dr. Steiner after my previous RE retired. I immediately saw the changes she brought not only to my care, but to the way the clinic did things. She has the best bedside manner, she is warm and compassionate, nuturing and really looks out for her patients. She takes the time to make sure all of your questions are answered and that you feel comfortable with every stage of treatment.
Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to ask questions.
When Dr. Steiner took over my care, I was "on the bench" due to a large ovarian cyst. Previously, we had done one cycle of timed intercourse using 5mg Letrozole plus an Ovidrel trigger and one IUI also using 5mg Letrozole and an Ovidrel trigger. The following 2 cycles I had to sit out due to the cyst. Dr. Steiner recommended birth control pills to help shrink the cyst and they worked! For the 5th cycle, Dr. Steiner recommended increasing the Letrozole to 7.5mg, plus the Ovidrel trigger and another IUI. It was negative unfortunately, but Dr. Steiner encouraged us to keep going and also talked with us about options for the future (ex: doing a HSG, adding in FSH injections or thinking about IVF). We did one more cycle (the 6th) with 7.5mg of Letrozole, the Ovidrel trigger and IUI, which was also negative. At this point, we had a consult with Dr. Steiner to talk about moving on to FSH injections (a min-stim cycle). Dr. Steiner really took the time to explain exactly how it would work and answer all of our questions. She also recommended switching from Letrozole to Clomid. For the 7th cycle, I took 100mg Clomid and 8 days of Gonal F injections (75iu, 75iu, 75iu, 75iu, 150iu, 150iu, 125iu, 125iu). Dr. Steiner made sure to communicate with me throughout the cycle and explained each time the dosage was increased/decreased. At the time of trigger, I had 1 18mm follicle, 2 17mm follicles and 2 16mm follicles. I was very nervous about the high risk of multiples and not sure if I should continue with the IUI. I contacted Dr. Steiner multiple times and she eased my fears. The 7th cycle was successful and I am now expecting my second child.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Kemper)
After Dr. Steiner joined the clinic, I could see positive changes in the staff. I've had the best experiences with Dr. Shaia- a fellow at the clinic; Stephanie Kemper, Cathy Gustafson, and Randa Blenden- nurses; and all of the medical assistants and phlebotomists. Everyone is warm and compassionate and goes out of their way to make me feel comfortable.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
When I went back to the clinic in February 2018 to try to conceive my second child, it was much different from my experience there in 2015 when I was trying to conceive my first child. In 2015, the doctors and staff were great, I felt like a person and not a number. Fast forward 3 years and that was not the case. My RE was the same as I saw in 2015, but the staff was all different. I did not have a good experience with the fellow that was there at the time, she did not have a good bedside manner or personality. Communication was not good, I did not have blood drawn during many stages of my cycles and I received conflicting information from different staff members. Then my RE retired and Dr. Steiner joined the clinic and took over my case and I could immediately see the positive changes. I was switched to a different fellow, I had blood drawn during every monitoring appointment and communication improved greatly. Dr. Steiner has been a truly positive addition to the clinic.
A consultation with Dr. Steiner was $55- my specialist co-pay. All monitoring and bloodwork appointments were fully covered. IUI appointments were $55. Medications: I purchased Letrozole ($5-$10) and Clomid ($15) through Walgreens. I purchased 3 Gonal F redi-pens from Freedom Fertility pharmacy ($330 per 300iu pen) and one from Town Drugstore ($270 per 300iu pen).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
As previously stated, when I first went back to the clinic in February 2018, I did not have a good experience. One time, I showed up for an appointment and it had not been scheduled and I received conflicting information between cycles 1 and 2.
Durham
He [Dr. Thomas Price] refused to treat me based on my age. The exchange was abrupt and curt. He said the cut off was 43 for IVF at his clinic. I had just turned 44. I drove over 2 hours for the appointment... He reluctantly told me my success with egg donor ivf would be greater, then handed me off to office staff for a flyer on egg donation costs, but in every gesture rejected me as a client. I am interested in egg donation, and already knew my chances with my own eggs were low, but never expected to be treated so badly.
I was refused treatment [at Duke Fertility Center] and my copay was returned...I was refused treatment based on my age. I am 44. This information was not included on the clinic's website and I was not informed when I called to make the appointment even though my age and intent were stated....It seemed clean. I did not have to wait long. The clinic does not post age restrictions on their website or inform you when you make initial appointments. Many people drive far for ivf treatment so this should be protocol...
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
I was refused treatment based on my age. I am 44. This information was not included on the clinic's website and I was not informed when I called to make the appointment even though my age and intent were stated. I drove over two hours for the appointment. He reluctantly told me my success with egg donor ivf would be greater, then handed me off to office staff for a flyer on egg donation costs, but in every gesture rejected me as a client. I am interested in egg donation, and already knew my chances with my own eggs were low, but never expected to be treated so badly.
Call the clinic before an initial appointment if you are over 40 and make sure they do not have age requirements or cutoffs.
He refused to treat me based on my age. The exchange was abrupt and curt. He said the cut off was 43 for IVF at his clinic. I had just turned 44. I drove over 2 hours for the appointment.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I was refused treatment and my copay was returned.

Treated 2014 - 2018
Dr. Price patiently listened to my every concern. He was so kind and thoughtful. He would allow me to share studies with him and explain in a data driven way why he might come out differently. I think he’s probably the most thoughtful and knowledgeable physician I have ever encountered....Antagonist protocol (twice), with PGS testing of 5 day embryos. Produced 7 5-day embryos across two freeze all cycles. Agonist protocol with 3 day freeze all embryos.
They are a very good clinic [Duke Fertility Center]. They don’t have the most up to date technology, and you primarily see the REI fellow, but the physicians are very responsive to email communications and very thoughtful. I do wish the Used time-lapsed monitoring of embryos and had 3D sonography. I don’t know the quality of the lab and have a sense that it varies by the embryologist working...9k per cycle plus 1500 for ICSI plus 2 k for PGS testing....
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Don’t be put off my his seemingly straightforward manner. He’s a compassionate and brilliant clinician.
Dr. Price is an incredibly thoughtfu and truly brilliant physician. His demeanor is very straightforward, but he’s very honest, deeply thoughtful and always patient.
Describe the protocols Thomas Price used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
They are a very good clinic. They don’t have the most up to date technology, and you primarily see the REI fellow, but the physicians are very responsive to email communications and very thoughtful. I do wish the Used time-lapsed monitoring of embryos and had 3D sonography. I don’t know the quality of the lab and have a sense that it varies by the embryologist working.
9k per cycle plus 1500 for ICSI plus 2 k for PGS testing.
Durham
He's [Dr. Price] on the direct/blunt side, but I like that. Not super warm/fuzzy, but still kind. Really good at explaining every step during examinations and procedures, and keeping me calm. Answers questions in session, and through patient portal....I did 3 rounds of Prednisone and letrozol, which were unsuccessful in creating a pregnancy. He thinks I have PCOS and may not be ovulating, but I did appear to ovulate on the meds. An HSG was done, and IUI was recommended. Haven't started that yet.
[Duke Fertility is] Generally well organized, biggest strength is doctors, biggest weakness was financial advising staff. They seemed to frame everything in a negative light and really overwhelmed me. The online patient portal is great....[Nursing Staff] Generally kind and easy to talk to. Front desk staff sometimes appear busy/preoccupied.... He's [Dr. Price] on the direct/blunt side, but I like that. Not super warm/fuzzy, but still kind. Really good at explaining every step during examinations
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
He's on the direct/blunt side, but I like that. Not super warm/fuzzy, but still kind. Really good at explaining every step during examinations and procedures, and keeping me calm. Answers questions in session, and through patient portal.
Be sure your male partner has been assessed if applicable.
Allowed me to ask questions, and responds to emails.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
So far everything has been covered by insurance, with a copay. IUI will be 547+meds, ivf is estimated around 14k.
Describe Thomas Price's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
Durham

We did an antagonist protocol and she [Dr. Jennifer Eaton] increased my FSH to 600 total, which seemed like overkill in the context of my previous cycle history and seems to have fried the eggs from that cycle. It was my worst one ever...She treats patients like humans in person, but in-person time with her is limited to procedures and the pre-cycle consult. You don't see her at all during the cycle otherwise. She is responsive through the patient portal, but her emails are very brisk and at times felt abrasive. Husband agreed.
Around $5k for the retrieval [at Duke Fertility Center] with Duke insurance, not including med costs...I think Duke is a factory. You only see the doctors for the initial consult and procedures, otherwise it's just the monitoring techs, fellows, and portal messages. I've been trying to find out certain info about my cycle for months and still don't have the answers...It's just not very organized...We did an antagonist protocol and she increased my FSH to 600 total, which seemed like overkill in the context of my previous cycle history and seems to have fried the eggs from that cycle. It was my worst one ever.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Eaton is warm in person, but brisk over email. My cycle with her was my worst yet, while I have had very different results with other doctors and protocols. I would be more specific but am hesitant to share identifiable info.
I would consider another provider.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Around $5k for the retrieval with Duke insurance, not including med costs.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
It's just not very organized.
Treated 2015 - 2017
Dr. Muasher takes time to come in and talk with me even when he's not scheduled to see me. He came in on a Saturday for one of my ultrasounds to see it without really needing to be there. He is always compassionate and had a warm heart...He's genuine, kind and respectful. He takes time to hold my hand and reassure me. I met him in 2015, when my husband and I decided to start fertility treatments after a miscarriage in November 2013. Dr. Muasher takes time to meet with me anymore my husband to go over results and our plan. He called me personally to discuss my concerns.
Front desk staff [at Duke]and very nice and have gotten to know my husband and me very well. I did have a bad experience with one of the nps in 2015, her bedside manner wasn't appropriate....I had medications that were called in twice and the pharmacy said I couldn't get them filled. Just confusing and a little frustrating....Organized Have a financial advisor Handouts Respond quickly...Approx $7500 out of pocket for first 2 rounds of iui with meds and all workup in 2015 Approx $650 for each iui cycle w/ meds
How was your experience with Suheil Muasher at Duke Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suheil Muasher at Duke Fertility Center?
Trust in him, he'll tailor your plan of care to what you need and what you feel comfortable with.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suheil Muasher at Duke Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Suheil Muasher used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
2015 Clomid 50mg days 3-7, follistim 75ui 8-10, times 2 .... failed IUI cycles 2017: 50 mg clomid, 75 gonalf days 8-10 =R- 20.5, 14, 19.5,13,11.5,10 3less L- 19,19,12 5 less 6.4 tri LH 4.22 E2 1751.02 ,... Failed IUI cycle Femera/75iu gonalf and iui cycle, only one large 26mm follicle, failed
Front desk staff and very nice and have gotten to know my husband and me very well. I did have a bad experience with one of the nps in 2015, her bedside manner wasn't appropriate.... She want compassionate. She's no longer there.
Organized Have a financial advisor Handouts Respond quickly
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suheil Muasher at Duke Fertility Center.
Approx $7500 out of pocket for first 2 rounds of iui with meds and all workup in 2015 Approx $650 for each iui cycle w/ meds and visits in 2017... Insurance helps some now
Suheil Muasher
Treated 2016 - 2017
Do your research on what testing is done at other clinics to diagnose infertility causes and be sure she [Dr. Eaton] orders them... My husband had poor SA results and I feel like it was dismissed without being addressed, she did not order another SA to confirm the poor result, nor refer him to a urologist. Feel like the plan is dead in the water until we give up and go on to IVF...I feel like she had a plan in mind five minutes into our first appointment and did not defer from the course.
Didn't have medication dosage adjusted [at Duke] until I asked them to adjust it. Had doctor tell me one thing (natural conception success rate is 30% and husband's SA result is fine) but write a completely different thing in her notes (natural conception success rate would be 10% and husband's SA shows problems, but never ordered more testing for him or referral to urology)...The clinic is quick about seeing patients, but I feel like they cut corners in diagnosing causes of infertility. They don't care about the cause. They just get you on a standard plan of medicated cycles until eventually getting to IVF. I feel as if it is a "one-size-fits-all" plan of care.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
I feel like she had a plan in mind five minutes into our first appointment and did not defer from the course. She skips certain testing done at other clinics that is vital for information in diagnosing causes of infertility. My husband had poor SA results and I feel like it was dismissed without being addressed, she did not order another SA to confirm the poor result, nor refer him to a urologist. Feel like the plan is dead in the water until we give up and go on to IVF.
Do your research on what testing is done at other clinics to diagnose infertility causes and be sure she orders them.
Jennifer Eaton has a great bedside manner.
2.5mg Letrozole with Ovidrel trigger
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
Nursing staff is ok. They are quick at getting people seen. Had a bad experience with a nurse doing phlebotomy - she prematurely ripped out the butterfly and stuck me in the finger with the needle, then had to poke me again for blood. Left bruising all over my arm.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
So far I've only had to pay $40 copays at appointments.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
Didn't have medication dosage adjusted until I asked them to adjust it. Had doctor tell me one thing (natural conception success rate is 30% and husband's SA result is fine) but write a completely different thing in her notes (natural conception success rate would be 10% and husband's SA shows problems, but never ordered more testing for him or referral to urology)
Treated 2016 - 2017
I started seeing Dr. Price for recurrent loss. He ran a slew of tests, more than most doctors seem to, and gave me options for further testing. Due to some of my numbers, we tried Femara/Letrozole for 1 cycle (had a CP) and Clomid for another (had an ectopic). Our next plan of attack is Clomid again...He [Dr. Thomas Price] may not be the most sensitive man when it comes to speaking, and can be very blunt. But he knows what he's talking about and is thorough. He's good at explaining issues, reasons, medications, and treatment plans. And he's usually quick to respond (and will respond to a ton of questions, even if he may think they're silly). He gives pros and cons, laying out options and helping you understand them, but lets you make decisions about your own care when there is a choice to be made. He hasn't been pushy about treatments and has been caring when I have experienced loss.
Scheduling an appointment [at Duke fertility] isn't terribly hard, depending on what you need. But my biggest complaint is wait time for blood draws -- waiting an hour+ for something that takes &lt;5 minutes is a terrible waste of my time. The office staff is friendly and helpful, though...I started seeing Dr. Price for recurrent loss. He ran a slew of tests, more than most doctors seem to, and gave me options for further testing. Due to some of my numbers, we tried Femara/Letrozole for 1 cycle (had a CP) and Clomid for another (had an ectopic). Our next plan of attack is Clomid again.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
I wrote this above, but I think he genuinely cares. He may not be the most sensitive man when it comes to speaking, and can be very blunt. But he knows what he's talking about and is thorough. He's good at explaining issues, reasons, medications, and treatment plans. And he's usually quick to respond (and will respond to a ton of questions, even if he may think they're silly). He gives pros and cons, laying out options and helping you understand them, but lets you make decisions about your own care when there is a choice to be made. He hasn't been pushy about treatments and has been caring when I have experienced loss.
Understand that his personality might not meet your needs, and that is fine. He is a bit socially awkward and seems to have an all-absorbing interest his field -- but that interest and knowledge is why I like him. He knows his stuff but may not have the "bedside manner" that some people need/want.
Dr. Price is a bit socially awkward and is very blunt/direct...but he cares. He gets to know you, asks about other parts of your life, takes those into consideration in his treatment, and responds quickly and thoroughly. He will reply 1000 times to questions. And genuinely seems to care if we succeed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
The nurses all seem caring and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Scheduling an appointment isn't terribly hard, depending on what you need. But my biggest complaint is wait time for blood draws -- waiting an hour+ for something that takes &lt;5 minutes is a terrible waste of my time. The office staff is friendly and helpful, though.
This is very different with insurances, so I can't say specifics.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
A doctor, not my specific RE, failed to call in a prescription. I had to call the on call RE and have it done, with multiple trips to the pharmacy.
Treated 2017
My husband and myself did not have the best experience with Dr.Hurd. We felt as though he never read our charts before we came for a visit or was aware of our situation. ... After our negative pregnancy test he had suggested we try naturally before our next round not remembering that my husbands semen did not contain sperm and we had to extract it.
The most upsetting thing with the clinic [Duke Fertility Center] is the way they delivered our news of being pregnant and then not. The first day after bloodwork they should have known that a low HCG value may not have really been a real pregnancy. They should have warned us versus telling us over the phone, “You’re pregnant!”. We were thrilled to hear the news only for me to go in again the next day to have blood work completed and them to tell us it was negative.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
My husband and myself did not have the best experience with Dr.Hurd. We felt as though he never read our charts before we came for a visit or was aware of our situation. He was very nice, but he didn’t seem up to date on the latest research and best practices.
Be sure he reads your chart before discussing anything.
Dr. Hurd would not be aware of who I was or what my treatment plan was or why we needed to do IVF. After our negative pregnancy test he had suggested we try naturally before our next round not remembering that my husbands semen did not contain sperm and we had to extract it. Only got to see him once or twice and was not informative of our chances or was not sympathetic. Call that we were pregnant was delivered by a nurse and then the next day to tell us the pregnancy was negative was from a fellow.
He prescribed me gonal -f, menopur, and crinoline gel for the progesterone. From what I remember the item that stands out the most is that Dr.Hurd and Duke fertility makes your order two different trigger shots in which you will only use one. Their reasoning behind this is that they aren’t sure which one will be needed day if so it’s best to order both.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
The nursing staff that did blood work were extremely nice but always smelled of cigarettes. The nurse that relayed our “positive result” should have resulted with a doctor prior to telling us we were pregnant when our levels were only at 5. The next day we receive a call that we were not actually pregnant. Their delivery of news was horrific.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Strengths: finance department was great and easy to work with. Negative: nurses and the way they deliver news to the patient. Doctor was nice but did not seem engaged to the patient or the patients history.
At this time our insurance still covered all our costs so we only had to pay copays, however now we have run out of insurance coverage.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
The most upsetting thing with the clinic is the way they delivered our news of being pregnant and then not. The first day after bloodwork they should have known that a low HCG value may not have really been a real pregnancy. They should have warned us versus telling us over the phone, “You’re pregnant!”. We were thrilled to hear the news only for me to go in again the next day to have blood work completed and them to tell us it was negative. Their delivery was not acceptable and at no time did my actual Doctor give me a call.