9301 Park West Blvd, Bldg A
Knoxville, Tennessee 37923
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center to a friend?
6.3
1 doctor
Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Without fail, I have to call for test results every time. One time they [East TN IVF] could not find them and had to get them from the lab again (via email I presume). I've gone to pick up prescriptions only to find they've not been called in. I've had to ask about specific blood tests they've mentioned I needed because they never scheduled them...Strengths are small staff, more intimate, female doctor who is very knowledgeable. Weaknesses are the fast pace, rude nursing staff
Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gayla Harris at East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center?
When I actually five minutes of her time she was very personable, caring, and informative
I believe Darlene is the office manager and she is personable, efficient, and gets things done. The main nurse is Amanda. In person she is friendly, but over the phone is a different story. She sighs and seems upset if you try to ask questions, she tries to hang up before you finish talking. I had to ask her to check my chart to look at prior test results to see if the current results showed improvement or not, something she should have done automatically. I know it's a busy office but things are getting missed and I don't like being talked to like I'm a nuisance, especially when this is not cheap!
What specific things went wrong at East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center?
How was your experience with Gayla Harris at East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center?
Dr. Harris is forthcoming, knowledgeable, and fast paced. It's hard to keep up with her while she's speaking but if you can, you will learn a ton. She's very willing to give you all the information she can and increase your knowledge and understanding of the process, medications, risks, alternatives. Sometimes she does gods over things and if you don't ask for further explanation she will move right along. I've heard her described as being aggressive in treatment, but I'll I've experienced is doing the exact same thing over and over.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gayla Harris at East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center?
Bring a notebook, ask questions, try to deal with Dr. Harris and Darlene, not the rest of the nursing staff.
Describe the protocols Gayla Harris used in your cycles at East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center and their degree of success.
We used ovulation induction, mid cycle monitoring by ultrasound and timed intercourse. Ovulation was usually inducted by a round of femara and an HCG trigger shot. The rationale was that lack of ovulation seemed to be my biggest hindrance, due to PCOS. I ovulated each cycle but no pregnancy. We then had a HSG scan performed which revealed a blocked Fallopian tube.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
The office ladies [at East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center] were AMAZING (Darlene at front desk and nurse Amanda) and remembered me and my family every time I came in. When I did get pregnant I felt like they celebrated with me...It’s just a small clinic, but it always seemed clean, friendly, and organized. Their equipment did seem a little outdated (particularly sonogram machines). They were great when about halfway through my treatment my insurance changed to one they did not accept and were patient with payment plans, etc.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center.
The office ladies were AMAZING (Darlene at front desk and nurse Amanda) and remembered me and my family every time I came in. When I did get pregnant I felt like they celebrated with me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center. (Assigned nurse: Amanda- I believe her only nurse)
Amanda (nurse) was amazing as was Darlene (front desk). They remembered me every time, used my first name, and seemed genuinely disappointed after my negative pregnancy test as well as super excited for my positive! Just a super sweet support system.
Dr. Harris was SO SMART and I trusted her completely. She did exactly as she said, diagnosed my issues correctly and got me pregnant (I delivered a healthy baby girl). My only issue with her was that I rarely understood what she was talking about and she wasn’t great at using layman’s terms with me.
Make sure you understand what the treatment plan is and don’t be afraid to ask questions if she’s spoken too fast or with complicated terms you didn’t quite understand.
I had surgery to remove uterine fibroids (never caught be my OB-GYN where I had tried two rounds of Clomid with no ovulation due to my PCOS). After surgery, we did two rounds of Femara with an HCG trigger shot and timed intercourse (first round I DID ovulate, but no pregnancy, the second round was successful and ended in a healthy pregnancy and baby).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gayla Harris at East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center.
I paid out of pocket completely for my last cycle. With tests, medications, ultrasounds, etc. I paid about $500.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
The strengths [of East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center] are that it's small and the staff knows you. Dr. Harris and her team are extremely dedicated. I can't think of any weaknesses.... Amanda is the only nurse in the practice, so you really start to feel as if the small team is family. She is compassionate and caring and makes you feel like a person, not a number.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Describe your experience with East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center.
The strengths are that it's small and the staff knows you. Dr. Harris and her team are extremely dedicated. I can't think of any weaknesses.
Dr. Harris handles all of her patients herself...we see her each time we go in. She treats me as an individual...not just as another run of the mill patient. She is kind and caring and appropriately funny.
Describe your experience with your nurse at East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center. (Assigned nurse: Amanda)
We were unsure of Dr. Harris in our first visit because she is a little quirky. However, we could tell right away how knowledgeable she is and how dedicated she is to what she does. We quickly warmed up to each other. She has always treated us with kindness, compassion, and respect. We trust her completely.
To give her beyond one visit...she can come across as very blunt and a little quirky the first time you meet her, but she quickly warms up and is one of the best doctors...if any speciality...that I've ever seen.
Low AMH=clomid. Developed cyst, wouldn't go away=cyst removal. Femara for one cycle. 1/2 Femara and 1/2 follistim for the next to up egg production (without hyperstimulating). Developed 2 cysts. Birth control for 2 weeks and then rescan before starting cycle on follistim. Trigger shot used each time.
$40 copay for visits. $300 for IUI. Trigger shots ($100) and follistim from Barron Pharmacy. Clomid and Femara covered through insurance.
Describe Gayla Harris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center.
Knoxville Tennessee
[The nurses at East TN IVF & Andrology Center- Knoxville were] Unorganized. VERY little general fertility knowledge. NO compassion/empathy. Hard to get answers from... Demand answers. Be ready to be sent on your way if you have a low AMH or don’t produce more than 5 eggs. She [Dr. Gayla Harris] will not treat you bc it makes her numbers look bad.... As soon as she realized my lack of response to meds she told me she would no longer see me after 6 cycles.
Describe your experience with East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center.
Take notes. Take patience and a strong head/heart. Ask questions. Demand answers. Be ready to be sent on your way if you have a low AMH or don’t produce more than 5 eggs. She will not treat you bc it makes her numbers look bad.
What specific things went wrong at East Tennessee IVF & Andrology Center?
Terrible communicator. Did not explain things on a “normal patient” level. You should know most general stuff going in or you will be made to feel stupid. Zero compassion. Treated like a number - very hurtful. Definitely made a hard situation even harder, especially mentally.
Take a notebook. Write EVERYTHING down. Ask questions. Do NOT hesitate to call and ask more.
Clomid... then Clomid + Femara x2, then Femara + Follistim x 2.
An